Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Wouldn't Dream of It by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: If you recognize any of the names I've used, that's because I've borrowed them from some of my other fics. For my ease as well as for readers, I've kept their background stories the same.

Each scene is about a year apart taking place in the fifth, sixth, and seventh years.
--------

I.

It’s the first time in a while that I’ve truly felt relaxed. With our exams behind us, another full week ahead of us without classes before heading home for the summer, and weather as beautiful as this, there’s nothing we can do except relax.

–I can’t believe we’re actually done our O.W.L.s,” comments Meg.

–I know, especially after that fiasco last week,” agrees Elena. –Right, Lily?”

–Ugh, don’t remind me,” I groan, lying back on the grass and closing my eyes. I keep trying to forget that last week after writing our Defense exams I lost one of my best friends. And not so far from where we’re lounging around right now, too. Though he does keep trying to apologise, even if he won’t take the hint.

When I open my eyes, I notice Julianna has taken off her shoes and socks, rolled up her trousers, and has decided to wade near the shore. She could never resist the temptation to have fun - that’s what makes her my best friend. And what sort of friend would I be if I didn’t join her?

–See? Someone knows a good time,” Julianna comments to the others as I walk into the lake.

–Not all of us tan like you, Julie,” says Mary, who’s taken refuge under a nearby tree. She burns very easily and hates seeing Madam Pomfrey for something to take care of it.

Julianna happens to be one of those lucky ducks that colour beautifully under the sun. With an Italian father, though, I suppose she had some help. Her mother just happens to be Sirius Black’s aunt - his fathers’ sister. Being so different, I think that’s how her parents came up with Julianna’s name. Her mother wanted to call her Julia, her father preferred Anna, so they combined them. Talk about compromise.

–You shouldn’t be in there either, Lily,” Meg tells me from her spot next to Mary under the tree. –You’ll get all freckly, and I swear I’m not sharing my cream this time!”

She should know. We both go spotty and that cream of hers is a lifesaver. I don’t know whether Elena is the lucky one or not. She doesn’t burn, get freckles, or tan, no matter how long she sunbathes for. We sometimes joke that she could compete with the Hogwarts ghosts for fairest complexion.

–I’ll survive,” I tell her, and Julianna playfully splashes water at them.

–It’s your fault for not coming in,” she says over their cries of protest. She then suddenly calls out, –Coming to join us?”

For a moment I’m not afraid of who’s there; she’s good friends with a certain indecent group, but I immediately notice it’s her boyfriend Matt and his friend Anthony. Even though they’re both a year ahead of us and are both in Ravenclaw, we still manage to spend a lot of time with them. And despite Matt being Julianna’s boyfriend, I think he really is one of her best friends - they get along so well. I also think Elena fancies Anthony, but she hasn’t exactly told us that yet.

–Absolutely,” answers Anthony, kicking off his trainers at once. Just before coming in, though, he casually calls out over his shoulder, –How about you, Elena? Coming?”

–Why not,” she shrugs, leaving Meg and Mary from under the tree.

That settles it. Anthony and Elena definitely fancy each other. We’ll have to ask her later, and I’m sure she’ll be happy to talk.

–And what say you, oh dry one?” asks Julianna, giving Matt one of her serious faces. It’s her way of easing his anxiety of water. Even if she’s goofy, she still cares.

He looks at her for a moment with his arms crossed and an eyebrow cocked before a grin spreads across his face and he says, –Okay, you’ve convinced me.”

But I’m not. He’s just going in to be with her.

–Convinced him to do anything else?” I tease her quietly. I’m one of the only people who can get away with it.

–Wouldn’t you like to know,” she says with a twinkle in her eye, and then greets Matt by splashing water at him. She’s never been one for public displays of affection.

–Hello,” Matt says as if nothing happened. –Hanging up the mischief for today?”

–Julianna was just telling me all the things she’s convinced you to do,” I tell him.

–Has she, now?” he asks, rounding on her with a coy look.

–Lily! I was not!” Julianna cries, starting a splashing war.

It’s not long before we’re all drenched, Anthony and Elena included, and we all head back to the grass. Julianna flops down to lounge on the grass in the sun at once, Matt right behind her, and Elena has chosen a spot a short distance from our group that Anthony has followed her to after a moment’s hesitation. I join Meg and Mary under their tree before I get too spotty.

–Those two are so cute,” Mary comments quietly enough so only the three of us can hear.

–Which two?” I ask, looking pointedly further away where Anthony and Elena are talking with their heads in.

–I think she’s liked him for ages,” says Meg. She and Mary are closer with Elena the same way Julianna and I are closer.

–I think so too, but I meant those two,” says Mary, shifting her gaze to the couple closer to us. –They’re so adorable, and he’s the one she’s kept the longest.”

The longer we sit out and talk, the more thankful I am I chose to come under the shade. I can see the lovely tan Julianna’s gotten from here, and it almost looks as though Elena’s skin is among the living.

–Enjoying the scenery by the lake?” someone asks. It could have been asked pleasantly, but nothing this boy does appears particularly so - not anymore, anyway.

–Go away, Snape,” I tell him without even looking his way. I don’t need this right now.

–What do you want, Snivellus?” Julianna asks, getting up at once. She learned that unfortunate nickname from her neighbour and childhood best friend, the even more unfortunate James Potter. His mutual hatred of Snape easily rubbed off onto her. At least she hasn’t drawn her wand yet, unlike . . .

–Come to wash your hair, Snivellus?” asks James Potter as he saunters over with his friends. I take it back - this is something I don’t need right now.

–I think you forgot something, though, Snivelly. Where’s your shampoo?” taunts Sirius Black. It’ll only be a matter of seconds now until someone does draw their wand.

This whole scenario is too reminiscent of last week, and I really don’t want to repeat it. And they obviously don’t listen much to me, prefect or not. And neither does Remus Lupin seem to be particularly inclined to interfere.

I decide to leave before someone needs proof or validation of my temper. I work far too hard at keeping it in check as it is, and I’m already frustrated. But I’m barely getting up to stand before something stops me.

–Why don’t you just leave these girls alone, Snape? You had no business here except to antagonise,” Lupin warns him. He even shoots a warning look at the shocked and confused faces of his friends, daring them to object.

Potter recovers the quickest. He says, –Unless you plan on visiting with Hagrid, I suggest you head back to the castle, Snape.” Just like that. No nickname, no jeers, no wands.

Without another word, Snape gives Potter one last glare before turning around. He’s severely outnumbered with or without my help and I don’t think he wants a repeat of last week either. The way he’s hurrying back to the castle and not looking back says it all.

I can tell by the way Potter and his friends are settling down on the lawn with Julianna and Matt that they plan on staying for a while. I still haven’t forgiven him for losing my best friend - not that I plan on forgiving him. It’s just fresh enough in my mind that it’s probably best I don’t hang around here with them so close by.

–I think I’ll head in now,” I tell Meg and Mary quietly. They’ll understand and let the others know later.

–Do you want me to come with you?” Mary offers kindly. I think she fancies Lupin and feels a little intimidated at the moment. How can I refuse her? So I nod and we get up to go back inside. We only take a few steps when something stops us.

–You’re not following the slime ball, are you?” Potter accuses with a look of disgust. I know he addressing me and not Mary.

–What’s it to you, Potter?” I ask. Honestly, what does it matter to him what I do?

–Well, are you?” he asks again. He can be such a persistent bugger sometimes.

Fine. He wants an answer? I’ll give him one. I reply in a sweet voice, –Why, yes. I’m about to go and confess an undying love to the wizard that highly offended me and that I hate the most at this school!” I end up half yelling, half growling by the end, not realizing I unknowingly admitted that Potter is no longer at the top of my list of people to avoid.

–Then what are you doing?” Black asks. At least Julianna knows enough not to get involved. She’s elbowed him hard in the side and giving him some kind of look.

–Getting away from you,” I answer, my glare resting on Potter. –Come on, Mary.”

She turns to leave with me, but we’re stopped once again. Potter’s gotten up and blocked out way, his stupid hands shoved in his stupid pockets with that stupid look on his face. For a moment he just stands there. I’m just waiting for him to - and there’s the hair ruffling. Next will come . . .

–Hey, Evans, what do you say -” he begins.

–No,” I cut across him. –Whatever it is, no. A hundred times, no.”

–Lily!” Mary hisses next to me. I can tell she’s a little embarrassed, and I know that I’m being rude, but I can’t take it anymore.

He’s been asking me out lately, and always in front of an audience. It’s annoying and I’m not interested, but he doesn’t seem to get the hint. Either that or he’s trying to change my mind. If that’s what he thinks, he’s got another thing coming.

He should look offended at my comment, but all he does is smile with a hint of a smirk. As if reading my train of thought, he says, –And you’re sure you wouldn’t change your mind?”

With all the sweetness I can muster, I tell him, –I wouldn’t dream of it.”



II.

I really have no idea why we have to patrol right now. There are no students to be found and I’m sure Remus has much better things to do - I know I do. I highly doubt everyone is packing this much in advance of the break when we still have about a week left. More like they’re all too exhausted to celebrate the end of our exams.

I thought sixth year would be awful what with starting N.E.W.T.-level work, but it really wasn’t all that bad. Mind you, there were many late nights and study groups, but overall it was a much better year than last year.

–So how do you think you did?” Remus asks me. He knows I’m about the only one of our group of friends that cares at this point.

–You know, I don’t mean to sound arrogant or anything, but I do think they went rather well. I’m feeling really confident with everything,” I answer. There’s no use feigning worry.

–Same here,” he replies with a smile. I can tell he’s been waiting to discuss our exams, and I know James, Sirius, Peter, Julianna, and everyone else for that matter, refuse to listen. –Defense went well and so did Charms, but I think Potions could have gone better. Everything I did ended up runnier than they were supposed to be.”

–Well if you need help, just ask. My problem’s with Transfiguration. I can’t understand why it’s so difficult for me,” I say, still frustrated because no matter how hard I try, I’m still only mediocre.

–I keep telling you, just -” Remus begins, but immediately cuts himself off with a frown. For a moment I don’t know why he’s stopped because there are no students out. Then I realize what has caught his attention: a smell.

There’s no denying what it is. After six years, how could I not know? What we smell is the scent of Julianna’s shampoo. And of course Remus recognizes it - he did date her for a short time back in third year. Though I don’t know if his sense of smell has been heightened because of his condition.

As much as we can smell her shampoo, though, she’s nowhere nearby. Then I mentally smack my forehead when I remember that Julianna can Disillusion the pants off of Merlin. And she’s probably not alone, either.

Before I can comment, Remus holds out his hand to touch my arm and says in an undertone, –Just let her go. They only have a week left at Hogwarts together.”

He’s right, of course. She’s been with him for nearly two years and it will most likely kill her next year. And really, how often did Remus look the other way last year before my fallout with Snape when he just wanted to talk? Never mind that they didn’t get along.

I have to force my thought out of the past. I’d moved on long ago and even apologised to James, allowing us to become friends. Snape chose his friends and I’ve chosen mine. I don’t need any kind of guilty flashbacks - it’s the future I need to look forward to, not the past.

–So how do you think next year will go?” Remus asks after a while of silent wandering.

–Harder N.E.W.T. stuff?” I suggest with a shrug. I really hadn’t thought about it until now.

–You know, sometimes I hate to think that next year is our last year,” he confesses, his eyes looking firmly at the floor. –It always makes me wonder if we’ll stay in contact or get killed or something.”

It’s a depressing thought, but it’s true. There’s a war going on and one of us might get killed, and it would more than likely be me as a Muggle-born.

Now that he’s mentioned it, I can’t help but wonder if we’ll all still be friends after Hogwarts or not. I have to deal with facing the wizarding world on my own. And Remus will always have his lycanthropy hanging over him wherever he going, no matter how kind, responsible, and hard-working he is. But I hate thinking about it.

–Will you be visiting James and Sirius at all over the summer?” I ask, trying to change the subject. I wasn’t friends with them last summer, so I don’t know how they fill their time away from school. And it doesn’t matter that Julianna is their neighbour because I’ve firmly ignored that fact whenever I was over at her place.

–Yeah, he’s asked me to come stay for a while. His parents are really nice. Have you met them?” he asks as we head to the stairs to go up to our common room.

–Not really, but I’ve seen them at the platform,” I admit.

–They’re trying to get James to ask you to come over too, but I think he feels awkward about it,” he reveals. –You know, what with all our testosterone and all.”

Luckily I’m able to keep a straight face, though I can’t imagine why I should need to. Obviously this is news to me, but why would his parents want me over if they’ve never met me?

–Well, I’ll be staying over with Julianna at some point. Maybe we could coordinate weeks,” I suggest. It would be good for all of us to get together during the break.

Remus seems pleased with this solution and we agree to bring up the suggestion when we get back. I’m glad I got to know him more because he really is the nicest person. He only ever used to be the shy kid that hung around the cool pranksters. Actually, I’m glad I got to know them all better, especially James and Sirius because they’re such a riot. Never a dull moment with them around.

–What’s so amusing?” someone says. I look up to see who it is because the corridors were all empty, apart from Matt and Julianna, and I’ve found that we’ve already arrived at the Gryffindor common room. It was James who had asked, Sirius and Peter on either side of him.

–You,” I say casually before strolling over to an armchair by the fire and picking up a deck of cards. Then I look back and ask them, –Now who wants to play?”

All four boys join immediately and with a bit of coaxing, so do Elena, Meg, and Mary. They only play a few rounds of Exploding Snap with us before heading up to bed, but the boys and I continue playing for a while. It isn’t long after we stop playing that Julianna walks in. I can’t believe how late she stayed out after hours, but it has never bothered her in the past.

Plopping herself down next to me, she comments, –Can you believe we have a full week ahead of us with absolutely no classes? I can’t wait!”

I can tell she was hoping the common room would be empty and is trying to divert attention away from why she was out. Remus discreetly looks my way and we share a small smile when he catches my eye.

–Now what?” asks James who has seen us. He hates being left in the dark.

–Any ideas for the summer?” asks Julianna, who misunderstood his question.

–About that,” I start. –Remus said he’ll be staying over at your place and I’ll be with the Foschis. We thought it would be fun to get together and line up those times.”

Sirius and Julianna instantly explode with ideas at the suggestion. At once they begin planning a schedule for us and brainstorming where we could go and what to do. Swimming at the beach and camping in some forgotten part of the forest behind the Potters’ house are among the many things other than playing Quidditch and making fireworks. I don’t feel that last idea is a particularly good one, but apparently they’ve all done it before.

–You sound like I’ll be there all summer,” I tell her. There’s no way we could possibly do all of that in a week’s visit, and what about any of her visits with Matt?

–Yes, well, don’t forget about your engaged sister,” she says, to which I have to roll my eyes.

–And what about the girls? They’ll want to come too,” Sirius brings up, assuming that they’d want to.

But of course that also means their boyfriends, his own girlfriend, and Matt and Anthony. Not to mention how awkward that would be now that he and Elena have split. When I bring this up, though, more discussion erupts as to how they could get around everything. With so many people, it got very complicated very quickly.

After this, I try to stay out of it. They wanted all this, so let them figure it out. I notice James has also decided to keep out of it, and it’s his place they’re talking about.

–So I hear you’re staying with Jules for a bit during the summer. Any plans?” he asks with a grin. I can’t help but laugh. Like I said, never a dull moment.

–A little of this, a little of that,” I answer. –You?”

–I thought of having a quiet summer,” he says, looking at the still arguing group.

–I know what you mean. A bit of rest and relaxation before our final year.”

The way he looks at me after this comment makes me wonder what he’s thinking. There’s so much that can be read in those eyes of his, it’s just a matter of knowing him well enough, and I have a feeling there’s a lot to know.

–Well you’ll have to suffer through a few meals with us. Mum and Dad like to host regular dinner parties and Jules’ family are usually invited,” James tells me.

–I guess I can handle a few meals with your parents,” I say, sounding as though it’s such a chore.

–And I appreciate the sacrifice,” he responds, also pretending to look grave.

It seems Remus and Peter are fed up with the discussion because they’re heading up to their dormitory as the other two continue to talk without them. From what I gather, Sirius is trying to get Julie to agree to a motorcycle race while she’s wondering where to find a troll or a dragon as an obstacle. It’s a wonder James isn’t joining it - this stuff is usually right up his alley. But he’s just sitting and listening to their increasingly wilder schemes.

He’s seemed really pensive lately. Actually, it’s since the last full moon, and it’s been a touch unsettling, to be quite frank. Since when has he ever been subdued?

–What’s got you so quiet?” James asks. He’s gotten up to sit on the chair next to me and he’s looking thoughtful again, almost concerned.

–You. You’re confusing me,” I say truthfully.

–Me? What about me?” He looks startled at my answer.

–Just . . . something. You seem different and I can’t figure it out.”

–Don’t tell me you’re changing your mind,” he says, almost hopefully but not quite.

A feeling of déjà vu comes over me as I laugh softly and tell him, –I wouldn’t dream of it.”



III.

As I look up at the evening sky, I see that I have an unimpeded view of the stars. The occasional owl flies across, their gentle hooting keeping everything from complete silence.

Of all the times to do this, I realize this is the perfect moment. James has been threatening to drag me out here for ages and what with our final end-of-term feast being a few days away, and no exam revision to feel guilty about neglecting, I could hardly object. It’s a warm night full of the promise of a beautiful summer, but there’s still a slight chill in the wind.

From beside me, I can hear James sigh. Out of the corner of my eyes I can see him smiling contentedly with his hands behind his head and I smile inwardly. He can be such a romantic at times, sometimes to the point of embarrassment, but I suppose I can’t blame him for it.

When he sighs again, I can’t help but shake my head slightly, but it’s enough to catch his attention and make him ask, –What?”

–Nothing,” I reply innocently.

This doesn’t satisfy him and he rolls onto his stomach propped up on his arms and asks again, –What is it? You can’t tell me it’s nothing - it’s never nothing with you.”

My only response is a smile, but it’s one that exasperates James because he’s turned back around, making a sound of playful frustration. He doesn’t wait long, though, before completely changing the conversation and saying, –You know, I feel awful that I don’t remember anything from Astronomy.”

–Same,” I tell him. Not many people continue with it, and all of those star charts we had to make are gone from my memory. Sure we all passed with a decent mark, but that was only to get through the exams.

–Well,” James says in a logical tone, –I know that crescent thing is the moon, and that blazing bright thing during the day is the sun.”

–And I’m pretty sure those tiny pinpricks of light are really big balls of gas really far away, and I think we call them stars,” I add to his rather obvious statement. But James seems to find this amusing because he nudges me with his elbow and laughs softly. It’s a soft, low sound and it makes me feel unnecessarily warm inside.

–I believe Jupiter should be visible in that area,” he says, pointing to somewhere to our left. Again I feel warm and think I may not need this blanket after all. Then with a note of confusion in his voice, he points to somewhere above our feet, wondering, –Or is it there?”

–It’s over here, genius,” I tell him with a laugh of my own and pointing directly above us.

–What, that one?” He’s not too far off, but he’s still looking at the wrong one, so I take his hand and move it slightly to where it really is. At once I realize he’s done this on purpose because he’s taken my hand and is holding it. When I give him a look, my one eyebrow raised, he smiles before taking it to his mouth and kisses the back of my hand. Like I said, he’s a goofy romantic.

–Have either of you kids located Sirius yet?” someone calls from nearby. Looking over we see Sirius walking towards us with a blanket of his own. He loves that there’s a star that shares his name. Next to him are Remus and Peter, and behind them are a few more of our fellow seventh years coming to join us.

The boys had been planning something to do at night on the Quidditch pitch, but I never imagined it was arranging an outing for our year just before we left. I think it’s a wonderful gesture that really shows some inter-house unity. But I still wouldn’t put it past them to have a final prank planned before we really do leave.

Everyone slowly trickles onto the Quidditch pitch, laying out blankets to sit on. Most of the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws have come, and there are even a couple of the more wholesome Slytherins a little further away. Julianna’s come and is sitting next to me with Matt, who has been with Madam Pomfrey as a Healer-in-Training this past year. Mary, Elena, and Meg are also nearby completing the lot from Gryffindor.

–Good turn out,” I say softly to James after one last look around.

He squeezes my hand and says, –I hope you don’t mind sharing the pitch.”

–I don’t mind in the least, I’m just worried a teacher will catch us,” I assure him, but James doesn’t seem bothered. He replies, –Not with the head boy and girl overseeing everything.”

I still don’t think that’s a good enough reason for McGonagall, but it’s not worth arguing over so I drop it. Instead, I say, –Doesn’t it make you sad to think we’ll be leaving shortly?” It’s something that’s been on my mind for a while now, and I know James won’t laugh.

–To be honest, I haven’t really thought about it,” he says, rubbing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb. –Not in that way, I mean, because it also means that we’re growing up and moving on. It’s a new adventure that will be exciting, even if it means leaving Hogwarts.”

James has always liked adventure and excitement, and to some degree I suppose I do too. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t stay away from him in the end. Or perhaps it was him that couldn’t stay away from me. Either way you look at it, we seemed drawn toward one another.

–I still don’t know what I’m doing when we leave, though,” I say stubbornly.

–But that’s part of what makes it so fun,” says James, flipping onto his stomach again to look at me better. –For all we know they could add an eighth year here and we’d have another final year, or we could have failed miserably. Or we could get a stuffy desk job at the Ministry, or open a shop selling do-it-yourself Floo powder. Maybe we’ll volunteer at a soup kitchen or end up working at St. Mungo’s. That’s the whole point - we don’t know!”

James’ enthusiasm is contagious and I find myself nodding in agreement. As I do so, he looks around quickly before coming closer. His voice at a whisper, he says, –I hear Dumbledore’s in charge of some kind of underground resistance. Now that would be something adventurous.”

There’s no doubt about that, but there’s so much that’s unknown about what’s going on. I have a feeling it’s dangerous work, and it worries me that something like that has never stopped James before.

I find it ironic the way I care about him now. I couldn’t give two hoots about him risking his neck before, but now it’s the thing at the front of my mind. It makes me shiver at the thought, and James pulls the blanket he brought to cover me better, misunderstanding the reason, but I thank him anyway.

As we lie there looking up, I can hear Sirius’ voice drifting over as he chats up some Ravenclaw girl. I can’t tell if he’s having any success, but it makes me smile as I snuggle closer to James.

–You know, I reckon we’re not completely unsupervised what with Matt being here,” he says later on.

I look over and see Matt and Julianna similarly set up with a blanket, whispering who knows what to each other. It’s hard to believe they’re engaged to be married soon, but after three years together and the future so uncertain, I guess I can see them not wanting to wait it out.

Seeing them like that makes me happy I have James, so I tilt my head to kiss his cheek before snuggling back down.

–Someone’s in a good mood,” he comments, kissing the side of my head.

–I love you, James,” I tell him, looking into his eyes.

We share a kiss on the lips quickly before he replies, –I love you too, Lil.” The smile on his face and the way he looks at me remind me once more what a romantic suck he is, but I wouldn’t change him in a million years.

–So, has anyone found Sirius yet?” Sirius asks again, coming over to join us. Evidently he’s done with the Ravenclaw. Then he sees us and warns, –No hanky-panky or I’ll have to tell Mr Bell.”

–That would make Matt a hypocrite, the way he and Jules are going,” comments James.

Sirius ignores this and lies down with us. He sighs and says, –Just like old times, eh?”

–You’ve done this before?” I ask. There’s still so much I don’t know about them.

–Only once back in fourth year, and that was only for Moony to do some star charts,” explains James. –I think we ended up flying on our brooms and trying to block his view.”

–If it’s like old times, then I should be on the other side of the pitch, then,” I say smartly.

–Oh, yeah. I forgot you used to hate us,” replies Sirius.

–I didn’t hate you.”

–But I wasn’t exactly your favourite person in the school,” says James with a sly smile. –And if I remember correctly, you once said -”

–As much as I love hearing a good lover’s quarrel, I think I’ll go annoy my dear cousin,” Sirius interrupts, hauling himself up and disrupting them.

He’s bored. If we’re able to stay out all night, it’s going to be a long one, so I don’t blame him. But if he doesn’t seat himself soon I might have to stick it down for him.

When I snap out of this thought, I see that James is watching me. He can likely guess what I’ve been thinking because he’s always telling me how easy it is for him to read my thoughts on my face. Apparently I get these looks on my face that I’m completely oblivious of making.

Just as I predicted, he says, –As his best mate, it’s my right to have the first go at him.”

I could pretend I have no idea what he’s talking about, but he’d see through it. So instead I wrinkle my nose and pull a face, but this prompts him to poke at my side, which is really ticklish.

–Hey!” I cry, gearing up for an attack.

James’ face grows serious all of a sudden. It looks so different from the boyish grin he usually has, the look of maturity almost shocking me. He asks, –Are you sure, Lily?”

–Sure about what?” I ask.

–You and me,” he answers. –I mean, you could have chosen literally anybody other than me, and I suppose you still can. Are you sure you won’t change your mind?”

He looks at me, his eyes boring into mine. For as smart as he appears to be, and I should know, having to fight for top marks with him, James can be pretty dense. Then his eyes start twinkling as I answer and tell him, –I wouldn’t dream of it.”

--------
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you liked it. I've had this one mostly written for a really long time now, I just couldn't get around to finishing it. Please review!