Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Meant To Be by chloish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: It’s all Jo’s. ^_^



(By the way, it says Book 6 Disregarded -- this i s because it was started before Book 6, and I intend to continue my plot, though I may use some little details presented in book 6, for fun, but others are ignored. Example: Slughorn is not present, nor is the Slug Club.)



Dearest Lily,


Hello! I hope you are having an absolutely splendid summer. Or at least, as splendid as it can be without seeing me…sorry! Sorry, I’m just joking. Please don’t crumple this paper up, I actually do have something important to say. However, before I get to that, let me offer you my sincerest congratulations! You are, of course, Head Girl, yes? Of course you are. I mean, who else could it be? My dear Lily, you are the fairest, the smartest, the strictest, the most rule-abiding…Ah, Remus just interrupted me to tell me that flattery won’t get me very far, so I’ll just cut to the chase.


I’m Head Boy.


Well, have a good summer!


Your handsome, adoring friend,


James Potter



Lily stared at the letter, shocked. She was indeed Head Girl, but James Potter, Head Boy? He had to be joking. Which, considering that this was James Potter she was talking about, was very likely. As much as she hated satisfying his more than likely wish to have her respond, she felt it was necessary. She wanted to get this straight. There was no way that James Potter was Head Boy.


Then again, said a voice in the back of her head, who knows trouble-making better than him? He knows all the tricks…She then, very stubbornly, told her head to shut up. There was no way James Potter was Head Boy.


Not feeling like wasting her new stationery on the git (she had recieved it for her birthday; it was very pretty and had a large lily at the top, next to her name.), she turned the piece of parchment he had sent over.


She was slightly amused to see several games of tic-tac-toe, all of which James lost miserably. She gathered this by the scribbles beside each game reading things like “Sirius Black owns you” or “Potter sucks, Black rules.” She couldn’t help but laugh at a game of hangman (which James had lost) where the “man” (which she assumed was decorated by Sirius) had messy black hair, glasses, and x’s for eyes.


Picking up a pencil, she started to write her reply, but was interrupted. “Lily! I’m glad you decided to use my parchment. I was worried for a moment,” came James’s voice from the paper. Startled, she screamed.


“Oiy,” said James’s voice again, “Sorry, guess I should’ve told you in the letter…ah well…charmed the parchment so we could communicate easily.” She could almost hear his cocky grin.


“You’re charming letters now? So I should be wary of anything you send me anymore?”


“Of course not, Lily! I’d never hex you!”


Lily just snorted, remembering all to clearly the time he charmed her hair to change colours at random intervals throughout the day in second year. “Yes, well, next time warn me, you scared me to death!”


“My sincerest apologies, Lily.” said James.


“Okay, stop calling me Lily. It’s creeping me out. What happened to ‘Evans?’” she asked huffily.


“Well, I figure as we’re going to be working together, we should be on a first name basis, yes?”


“About that…you’re not actually serious, are you?”


“I am!” came another voice, causing her to jump.


“Oh, shut it, Sirius,” said James, and there was the sound of something being thrown and stifled cry. “That joke hasn’t been funny since second year when you finally figured it out.”


“Ey! I fah ihwa unny!” came a muffled reply, and Lily had acute suspicions that someone had stuffed a sock in Sirius’s mouth.


“Anyways,” said James loudly over a few more unintelligible calls (which sounded rather nasty), “Yes, Lily, I am very serious. See? ‘Dear Mr. James Potter, I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as this year’s Head Boy…blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah…sincerely Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, Chief Warlock, yada yada yada…’ Shocking, isn’t it?”


“Yes, very,” said Lily icily. “Why exactly did you owl me this, by the way?”


“Ah well, Sirius thought it would be funny to see your face when you found out on the train, but I thought it would be better to, er, ease you into it. I mean you might have had a heart attack or something!” He chuckled, “But then again, if I had known you were going to die from a talking piece of parchment, I wouldn’t have bothered.”


“Har har,” said Lily, glaring at the parchment.


“Lily?” Lily’s sister Petunia stuck her head in the room, an angry look on her face. “Who on Earth are you talking to? Another one of your freak friends? I’m trying to get some work done so if you’d please --”


Lily groaned. She couldn’t stand her sister anymore than her sister could stand her. She would just have to deal with her the way she did every other time. “I’m talking to no one, 'Tuna,” she stated, ignoring her sisters angry comments at Lily’s nickname for her, “I’m practicing inappropriate spells -- you know, that horrible magic -- on this piece of parchment and if you don’t get out of my room right now I’ll practice them on you.”


Petunia gave a shrill squeak and scurried from the room. No sooner than Petunia had left, the paper erupted into laughter, and Lily was quite sure that all the Marauders were there.


“Inappropriate spells, Lily?” gasped Sirius, over Peter’s shrill sniggers, “Merlin!”


“What your family must think of Hogwarts!” exclaimed Remus, who was also laughing, though a little less heartily than Sirius.


“Tsk, tsk, Lily,” said James, “using me to get rid of your sister! I’m hurt!”


“Oh shut up, you four,” Lily said irritably. “It’s the only way to get her to leave me alone. She’s terrified of magic.”


“I take it you and your sister are not on very good terms?”


“Not at all,” answered Lily briskly. “Really, as fun as this little chat has been, I should be going.”


“Ah, alright. I’ll see you soon, then. Congrats on Head Girl again.” said James.


“Oh yes, how exactly do you know that I am Head Girl?” asked Lily.


“Lily!” cried James, “Like I said in the letter, it could be no one else! I mean, it’s you! You’re smart …”


“You should listen to Remus,” said Lily impatiently.


There were several sniggers in the background as James said, “Oh fine. My mum’s friends with the Muggle Studies professor and when I got my letter I asked her to find out who was Head Girl. I was pretty sure it was you, and I was right, wasn’t I?


“Mm,” answered Lily, grimacing. “Okay then. I’m going to go…bye.” she said, setting the piece of paper on her bedside table. She stood in silence for a moment, and then all of the sudden it hit her.


“OH MY GOD! I’M GOING TO HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR WITH JAMES POTTER!” she screamed, falling backwards onto her bed and staring at the ceiling.


She repeatedly hit herself on forehead until, “Lily? We can still hear you.”


She swore under her breath and said, “Right. How do you turn this thing off?”


“Just tap the tic-tac-toe game twice with your wand,” answered James.


“Which one?” she asked, glaring at the multiple games.


“The one where James lost.” supplied Sirius smugly.


“That’s helpful,” Lily muttered.


“The bottom one,” James answered, “and if you want to turn it back on…” he added hastily, but Lily interrupted him.


“Alright then, bye.” She tapped the bottom tic-tac-toe game twice and the paper fell silent. “Great!” she shouted at the paper. “Just great! This year is going to be dreadful!” she let out a scream of rage. “Damn him! Damn him, damn him, DAMN HIM!” she shrieked and went stomping down the stairs.



Author’s note: First chapter done! I have a lot planned out for this story, so please review and keep reading! : ) I assure you, this is not a typical Lily-James love hate story, though they don’t like each very much right now…I plan to keep it completely canon, or as much as I can. Thus, be prepared for some ACTION as well as romance! (Not that kind of action…yeee…)



James might say he didn’t want to kill her, but do you want to know the REAL reason Lily got that letter? I was really rather bored of the whole ‘Lily sees James on train and doesn’t believe that he’s Head Boy and then she spazzes out’ thing. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I couldn’t pull it off. So! I tried something new. And this is what you get! Ha ha!



This chapter was really fun to write, but very difficult. One of the best things about writing these two (Cocky James and angry Lily), is that their facial expressions and body gestures add so much to the dialogue. However, as only James’s voice was present in this dialogue, I lost that, and had to cope with only voices. Gah…However, I think it turned out okay...what do you think?