Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Meant To Be by chloish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All Jo’s.




_______________________________________________________________________



They had been flying for only several minutes before her house disappeared behind them. She was amazed they had escaped alive…it seemed as if it could only be pure luck…


“Are you okay, Lily?” James asked once they were hidden in the night sky.


She nodded, but doing so made her body tilt precariously. “Yes…” she said, feeling rather dizzy, “but I think I might fall off….” It really didn’t seem like a big deal compared to what she had just escaped from.


James smiled, though he was turned away from her, “No, you won’t fall off. I have a balancing spell set on it, and the only way you’ll fall is if you jump off.” Lily just nodded, dazed. “It’s something of a long ride,” he commented, turning his neck to look at her. Her eyes were half open, and she was swaying unsteadily from side to side. “So make yourself comfortable.” he added with a small grin.


Lily managed a small smile. Her bones still ached incredibly, she could still feel the invisible fire licking her body. After a few moments of silence, she whispered, “I’m sorry.”


“What?” asked James, turning to look at her again. She was staring at his arm. “No,” he said firmly. “You have no reason to be sorry, Lily.”


“I think you saved my life, you know,” she whispered again, looking at the clouds above. James didn’t know what to say. She shivered, but whether it was from the coolness of the air or the memories, he couldn’t tell. After a moment, she said, “That’s a Wizard’s debt.”


“Don’t be ridiculous,” James said, not looking at her. He had had enough of this “Wizard’s debt” nonsense last year than he wanted to deal with. He clenched his teeth, remembering the horrible incident. “Besides,” he said lightly, “You helped me with that charms paper a year or two back, remember?”


He managed to get a soft chuckle out of her. “I hardly think that’s even with saving someone’s life.”


He laughed. “Of course it is. My mum would have killed me if I had failed charms.”


She smiled weakly, and said no more on the topic. They were flying for about an hour when he felt a soft press against his back. He turned his head slightly and saw that Lily was leaning against him, her eyes closed, her breathing slow and labored. She was sleeping.


He held his breath for a moment. It was…weird having her this close to him. He had had something of a crush on her since fourth year, when she had blatantly refused to go out with him (something he was not used to). After that, he had rigorously pursued her, asking her out many times -- unsuccessfully -- and attempted to ‘woo’ her, as Sirius put it, but she had always rejected him. Sometimes he wondered if it was a simple crush and nothing more, but now that she was there, her breath upon his back, he was sure it wasn’t. He hadn’t felt this way about Sandy Dunston in third year, when he had decided he was in love. No, not at all.


But he was pretty sure her feelings about him were the same as they had been fourth year. Under normal circumstances, Lily would have avoided any conversation at all with him, let alone fall asleep on his back. However, these were not normal circumstances. She had just been under the Cruciatus curse for Merlin knows how long, and had just seen both her parents killed….He shivered at the very thought. Sighing, he continued flying; it was a long ride home.


He had been flying for about four hours at top speed. The sun was beginning to rise, and, judging by the broom-compass Peter had given him for his birthday last year (which served as both a compass and a map wherever you went), he should be home any moment now. He flew a little higher, not wanting to be seen by muggles, though he doubted many would be up at such an untimely hour.


At last, the horizon presented him his house, and he couldn’t have been more pleased. He loved his house: It was rather large, for his family was well-off, but it wasn’t a stuffy mansion like many people would imagine. It was constructed of old, red brick, giving it an antique feel. Because his house was far away from muggles, he could practice Quidditch in the yard, by the old shed that he kept his brooms and Quidditch supplies in. There was a small lake, surrounded by his mum’s garden, of which he had been rather scared of, ever since a venomous tentacula nearly attacked him. (His mum had a love of exotic plants that both James and his father had never quite understood.) He smiled fondly as he landed in his front yard.


He dismounted his broom carefully, lifting Lily off as he went, being careful not to knock her off or wake her up. She was very light to carry, seeing as she was quite thin and rather short (a fact that annoyed her greatly, especially since James was so much taller than her; she reached just below his shoulders. She preferred the word ‘petite,’ rather than short).


He was amazed she was still sleeping. It was immensely cold, and the wind had beat upon his face harshly as they flew. Or maybe she wasn’t sleeping: Simply keeping her eyes closed, scared of what she’d see if she opened them. Honestly, he didn’t blame her if she never wanted to open them again.


He made his way to the door, and creaked it open lightly. He didn’t fool himself by thinking that anyone in this house was asleep. No, if they weren’t all waiting in the parlor for his return, then he was a billywig.


His thoughts were confirmed true as a he walked through the door. “JAMES!” shrieked his mother, dashing to the door. “For the love of Merlin, James!” she cried, looking horrified at the blood on his face and arm, and wrapping her arms tightly around his shoulders. His wounds had stopped bleeding for the most part, but he assumed he looked rather unwell.


“Mum,” he said firmly, glancing down at Lily. She released him, and he walked over to the sitting area where everyone was looking incredibly relieved. James was startled to see that Dumbledore was sitting in an armchair, a dark look on his face, but as James brought Lily over, it lightened. Sirius and Peter, who were sitting on a small couch, stood up immediately so James could lay Lily down. James was grateful, because light as Lily was, his arms were growing tired.


Peter offered him a tentative smile, and James returned it. Sirius just heaved a great sigh of relief, but Remus had his head in his hands, resting his elbows on his knees.


“Remus?” James asked.


He jumped. “Oh. James. Hi.” he said, smiling slightly, but his face was grave.


“Honestly, James!” interrupted his mother in a harsh whisper. “What were you thinking? Running off to Vold-- Him like that! You’re not even out of Hogwarts! You could have been killed!”


“Lily would have been killed.” said James simply, looking at the floor.


His mother was silent for a moment. Then she bit her lips, and hugged her son again, and then sat down in one of the chairs. “I - I suppose you’d better tell us what happened.”


So James told them everything: From the first time they talked to her, to Lily’s frantic call through the letter. From his apparation to her balcony with his broomstick, to their frantic flight away as the aurors finally appeared. When he mentioned how she was under the cruciatus curse when he arrived, his mother screamed.


His father cleared his throat. “You know,” he said, “I, well, perhaps it would be best if we got Lily, is it?” James nodded, “If we got Lily into a proper bed and then continued this discussion in the morning.”


“Actually,” Dumbledore interrupted, speaking for the first time since James had entered the room, “I think it would be best if we took Lily to the Hospital Wing.”


“Hogwarts?” asked James.


Dumbledore nodded. “Madam Pomfrey will need to attend to her. She will be alright,” he added, glancing around at the anxious faces.


“I’m coming too,” said James, his jaw set.


Dumbledore smiled -- a peculiar smile -- observing him through his half-moon glasses. “Of course,” he said, “Madam Pomfrey will need to heal your wounds too.” James opened his mouth to protest, but Dumbledore, ignoring James potential objection, said, “You have fought bravely tonight, James. You showed more courage than could ever be expected of you. I, and Lily, I’m sure, thank you greatly.” He nodded his head slightly, and smiled again. James had no reply.


Dumbledore then reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of parchment, crumpled it, and said, “Portus.” The crumpled paper glowed blue for a second, and Dumbledore said, “Here, James, hold this, and have it touch Lily’s hand.”


“Wait!” cried Sirius, “We’re coming too!” he said, defiantly.


“Boys…” started Mrs. Potter, but Dumbledore interrupted.


“It’s fine,” he said, beckoning the boys over. When all five were touching the paper, Dumbledore said, “This will take you directly to the Hospital Wing. Explain to Madam Pomfrey what has happened. I will follow almost immediately. He nodded, and James felt the familiar, though not altogether pleasant, sensation that came with traveling by portkey.


When they arrived in the Hospital Wing, they were all slumped on the floor rather uncomfortably, James clutching the crumpled piece of paper. He deftly threw into the rubbish bin, inwardly grinning at his Chaser skills. Turning back around, his heart jumped. Lily had awoken.


She was on the floor with the rest of them, her legs sprawled beneath her. She had her hand on her head, her eyes wide and fearful. “Potter?” she asked. James winced. We’re back to that, are we? he thought gravely. “Potter, w-where…what happened?”


Just then Madam Pomfrey came bustling in, looking quite unnerved. “My word!” she exclaimed, looking at the five of them, “What on earth is going on here? Students, already!”


And so, as Dumbledore requested, James began to tell the tale again. This time, however, it was much harder. This time, Lily was present. Involuntarily, his eyes kept flicking over to her. She was sitting on a hospital bed, looking determinedly away from him. However, he could tell she was slowly remembering the events, and every bit of knowledge was hurting her worse than the Cruciatus curse ever could.


Madam Pomfrey looked horrified at the news and set to work at once. She instantly ordered Lily to get into bed, offering her a nightdress and pulling the curtains around the bed she was sitting on tightly shut. She then vanished into her office and returned with two potions and a large bar of chocolate. Disappearing behind the curtains, she gave Lily both the potions, which, as James heard her explain to Lily, were for the pain from the Cruciatus curse and the other a dreamless sleep potion.


She then came over to James and performed several healing spells. She insisted that he take a blood-replenishing potion, even though James assured her he hadn’t bled very much. She also insisted that he stay the night, which he was not too pleased about. However, from his various stays in the Hopsital Wing due to Quidditch, he knew better than to argue with the strict nurse.


“And I have no idea why Dumbledore sent you three to me,” Madam Pomfrey had said, hands on her hips, looking irritated at Peter, Remus, and Sirius. “You look perfectly healthy.” Sirius explained to her that they wanted to keep James company (which didn’t please Madam Pomfrey in the slightest) and that they would leave when Dumbledore returned. Sniffing, Madam Pomfrey allowed them to stay, mainly because there was no where else to send them.


And so, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter all sat in the Hospital Wing, unsure of what to say. Madam Pomfrey had placed James in the bed next to Lily, whose curtains remained shut. “She’s probably sleeping,” said Sirius glancing at the curtains uneasily. “After all, she did take a dreamless sleep potion.”


But James wasn’t so sure. It was much too quiet, even for a sleeping person. He had suspicions that Lily was lying there, wide-eyed and very much awake, reliving the event in her mind…He sighed. What a horrible start to the year…Images started to swarm his head like the Death Eaters swarming Lily’s room…and Lily…Lily, lying on the floor….


“…Prongs?” James looked up and saw that all three of his friends were looking at him expectantly.


“Sorry, what?” he said, shaking his head slightly, trying to rid himself of the images.


“I said Peter and I were going to go get something to drink, and I wanted to know if you wanted anything,” said Sirius impatiently.


“Oh,” said James, who was still standing outside Lily’s window…watching it happen…“Nah, no thanks.”


Sirius watched him for a moment, and then went off with Peter, leaving Remus and James alone.


Remus was watching his face intently, and James knew he could tell something was bothering him. “James?” he asked.


James looked at him and grinned, though it was forced. He really didn’t want to talk about what had happened…


Remus didn’t buy it. “James,” he said firmly. “I know something is wrong -- something besides the attack tonight.” He paused, “And I also know from experience that it does not help to hold it in and tell no one.”


James didn’t reply. Remus really was the last person he wanted to talk about this with…‘I think you saved my life, you know’ He could still feel her breath on his neck, how she shook, trembled….


“James,” Remus pressed.


James sighed. “It’s just something Lily said to me when we were…leaving…”


“What was it?” asked Remus, watching his face very closely.


“Nothing, really…”


James.”


“Fine. Okay. She just -- she just told me that I saved her life, and that it was a …you know…a, a wizard’s debt.”


Remus’s face darkened, and James immediately regretted saying anything.


“I…see,” was all Remus could say.


“Right,” said James, staring at the ceiling. They sat in an awkward silence.


But then, Remus said very softly, “I guess that’s two lives you’ve saved now…”


James tensed. This is what he was afraid of. He wanted to forget it. He wasn’t proud of it, and he just wanted to pretend it never happened. Unfortunately, this wasn’t about to be dropped, no matter how much they tried to ignore it. “Remus,” said James in a strained voice, “You know that --”


“I know,” said Remus very quickly. “I’m sorry … I shouldn’t have brought it up…”


James was saved from having to respond as Sirius and Peter returned. Sirius arched his eyebrows slightly at the silence, but he just shrugged it off and sat down.


Just then, the door opened and Albus Dumbledore entered the room. “Ah!” he said, “I’m glad to see you arrived safely. I’m sorry I was delayed; I had a few quick errands to run.” The boys just nodded, unsure of how to respond. “Now, If you’ll excuse me, I must have a word with Madam Pomfrey…” And he strode towards her office, gently knocked on the door, and entered.


He returned shortly after with Madam Pomfrey following him. Dumbledore was smiling. “I was informed,” he said, “That Misters Black, Pettigrew, and Lupin are to return to the Potter residence, but Mr. Potter and Miss Evans are to stay.”


“It’s start of term tomorrow, Professor!” argued James. “I -- er, I’m Head Boy…shouldn’t I be on the train…with the prefects?”


“I assure you, we’ll have you back to your home in time to travel to the platform with your friends tomorrow.”


“And Lily?”


A slight shadow passed over Dumbledore’s face. “I think,” he said delicately, “Miss Evans will have to stay in the Hospital Wing just a bit longer. Now, Misters Black, Pettigrew and Lupin,” He created another portkey and said, “I will see you back here tomorrow! Well,” he added, smiling around at the infirmary, “Hopefully not here, exactly…”


His friends said goodbye, and they headed back to his house, where the friends had been staying for the last week (The Potter residence being very large, and the idea place for mischief-making, or rather, planning).


Seeing as it was about three o’clock in the morning, James expected he would fall asleep very quickly. It had, after all, been a very tiring night…However, his mind had other plans. He kept reliving the horrific evening, going over and over it in his head…If he hadn’t left the paper in his room …maybe things would have been different…maybe they could have saved Lily’s parents…He knew the ‘What Ifs’ and ‘Maybes’ did no one any good, but they were inevitable. He had gone through the same thing last year, and this time many of the thoughts were the same as well…If he had been faster …If he had made sure she had known how to turn it on…If he hadn’t questioned her….


He was roused from his thoughts by two familiar voices, talking in hushed tones. “He really did attack Lily Evans, Albus? It actually happened?” Professor McGonagall asked.


“I’m afraid so,” said Dumbledore.


“And -- And Potter was there?” McGonagall whispered.


Dumbledore sighed, “It is as I feared…It seems the first has come to pass…If it is really so, I cannot say. It has only been one, yet.”


James had no idea what he was talking about and was very confused. However, for some reason, that word echoed in his head, and it remained there until he finally fell asleep. One. One, yetOne….




Author’s note: I now feel the need (for the next chapter, really) to explain how Lily’s friend Marlene (who, if you remember from the last chapter, was on vacation in China) returns to school on time (As it is the night before start of term, and at the time she was still in China). SO, I am now going to explain!



Whether you knew it or not, (and you probably didn’t because I’m making this up now…) Wizards do indeed have Vacation Packages. They come complete with Enchanted Brochures (which you take to the places they describe and they talk to you, much like a tour guide), Lodging, and (of course), A two-way Portkey! Yes, that’s right! You can get a Vacation Portkey for only 500 galleons today! Simply tell us your departure and return date and you can have your DREAM VACATION! …And return the night before Hogwart’s term starts and NOT miss the train! Whoohoo!!



*cough* Look at me and my problem solving skills…