Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love at First Fight? by roselily

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
POV-James

There she is. There, the most beautiful, smartest girl on the face of the Earth, sitting on the bench underneath the sapling tree, was Lily reading. She had a pensive, thoughtful look on her face with her tongue slightly sticking out of her mouth in concentration. Oh, how I would love to hold her petite body. Sheltering her from the howling winds and pounding rain. Making her believe that nothing can ever go wrong and the moment will never end. But there she is. Sitting, alone, as the day grows longer and my courage wanes. Just talking to her I get tongue-tied and can't even remember my own name. Wait, what was it? Jimmy? Joe? John? Jessica? Wait, that can't be right...Even thinking of her makes me this way.

There she goes, turning around and leaving, not even recognizing that the sole reason of my continuous existence is to be with her. Now she's going, probably back to the Great Hall for breakfast. It is early yet, usually I'd still be snoring right now, but Sirius dragged me out of bed so he could tan by the lake to impress the "early risers". Sometimes he's so full of himself I'm amazed. Should I chase after her? Maybe this time I'll be able to speak. But no, she's already gone inside. I set my mind on sitting near her and talking with her at breakfast.

Absentmindedly I trudged a walk of a man who has nothing left to offer the woman he loves, yet somehow still has a glimmer of hope that she will love him back. Now I have reached the Great Hall and I stand in the shadows of the doorway to observe the scenery before I make my entrance. There Lily is, yet again alone and silently looking down at her plate, moving the food around, occasionally taking a bite. The rest of the Gryffindor table is pretty much empty. I walk in and take a seat at the end of the table, so not to disturb her.

I notice that the rest of the tables in the room are virtually empty. Each table represents one of the four houses for this school; Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and the horrible Slytherin. On the first day of your first year at Hogwarts a hat is placed on your head and decides which house you will belong to, and that house and its members are your “family” for your whole 7 years there. As I sit down she looks up and smiles, my heart flutters. Then she motions for me to come sit by her. Of course I can’t resist the invitation, still hoping that I don’t make a fool of myself once again. I must play it cool, be nonchalant. Act like every time she speaks my heart doesn’t bleed in longing for her. Walking down to her end of the table was an eternity, an eternity of desperation.
“How ya doin, Evans?”
“Fine, Potter. Where was Remus yesterday at the sorting? I didn’t see him with the rest of the Marauders. And what happened to your face?” all of the sudden her face became quizzical as her bright emerald eyes inspected my cheek.
Oh gosh, how could I explain our monthly rampages with a werewolf? I couldn’t.
“Well the other day me and Sirius were practicing dueling and when he sent me flying backwards my face got scratched on a gargoyle. No big deal, just a little cut.” A twinge of jealousy filled my chest as I realized that the only reason she called me over was to ask about one of my best friends, but at least her last question diverted me from the first. I guess the disappointment of our conversation was shown on my face because next Lily asked what was the matter. I said nothing and hurried away from her so none of my other passionate emotions would be subconsciously revealed.

POV- Lily

Today was a pleasant day with a slight cool breeze outside; so waking early I decided to read a book underneath a tree. To my dismay after only 15 minutes of reading I could feel eyes staring at me. Glancing around, I saw nobody. So I walked back to the Great Hall for breakfast. Being Head Girl in my 7th and final year of school at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I had to tell off some first years for dueling in the hallway. Honestly, they already think they own this place. I sit down to breakfast when who should walk in but Mr. James Potter himself. Any other girl in this school would swoon over him, his forever-messy jet-black hair and mischievous eyes always getting their attention. But not me, not Lily Evans. I refuse to fall victim to his flirtatious grin that most girls find oh-so-sexy.

I call him over asking what happened to his mate Remus, but then realized he had a gigantic gash across his cheek, and it looked fresh.

“What happened to your face?” I asked him, wondering what escapades had caused his newest injury.

He grinned that smile to die for and explained how it was no big deal, really. There Potter goes again with his arrogant attitude, making a deep wound be “nothing”. If he was like other people, normal, and realized things for what they really were, MAYBE we could be friends. But instances like this totally annoy me and make me realize that I’d be better off far, far away from him. All of the sudden it seemed like a deep comprehension occurred to him, and his face fell ten feet. He turned pale and the normal gleam in his eyes disappeared, and he looked at me sadly then hurried away. As he turned away a badge on his chest glinted and caught my eye, I didn’t see it before.

JAMES POTTER was HEAD BOY? This must be some mistake. This was the second day of school and somehow I hadn’t figured out who the Head Boy was until this moment. Well, maybe I am wrong. It’s possible, but I guess I’ll know for sure tonight at our first meeting with Dumbledore. I’ve been wondering who my counterpart would be ever since Dumbledore himself sent me the letter over the summer. But yesterday when all of the first years got sorted into their houses the only thing I noticed about James Potter was that one of his four friends was missing.

They called themselves the Marauders, and practically everyone referred to them as such. The Marauders consist of James Potter and Sirius Black, the two “hottest” guys in the school to almost anybody’s standards, and undoubtedly they were like brothers, Remus Lupin, a smart guy, not as troublemaking as the rest, and Peter Pettigrew, a short, stubby boy that seems to have no intelligence whatsoever. He tags along with the rest of them and somehow, they accept him for what he is. I don’t know why the Marauders are so popular with everyone. Girls think I’m crazy every time I turn Potter down for a date. How can they think I’m crazy? Doesn’t anyone besides me see how truly selfish and pompous he really is?


A/N: I'm planning on re-writing this chapter- I don't like the switching between POV's...but continue reading and please review!