Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love at First Fight? by roselily

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lily,
A rather unfortunate event has happened. You-Know-Who’s supporters have murdered our distant friends. Although we haven’t spoken to them in ages, they have a daughter at Hogwarts in her third year. Perhaps you know her? Her name is Aubrey Miller. We (your father and I) have informed Headmaster Dumbledore that you would be willing in any way to help her through this traumatic time in her life, seeing as she is so young. You can mentor her. You could make her feel better! I believe he asked that you meet with him in his office before your first class today, but we wanted to tell you so it wouldn't be a complete shock! Please, just be there for her to talk to, even if she doesn't want to. How can we imagine what she's going through right now?
Love,
Mum and Dad
P.S. your father sends his best


“You have GOT to be kidding me!” Lily looked up as she realized she said those words out loud. Then she noticed James, staring at her. His gaze made her feel odd and she shifted in her seat uncomfortably. He then muttered something incomprehensible and dashed out of the Head’s common room. Lily sighed and crumpled up the letter, threw it into the trashcan, and lit it with a controllable fire. Charms being her best subject, this was no problem for her. Then it dawned on her.

I HAVE TO MENTOR AUBREY MILLER. The little third year who is extremely hyperactive and annoying. Geez, I know I'm being really selfish here. Her parents are dead! But HONESTLY don't I already have enough to deal with between N.E.W.T's, Potter, being Head Girl and try to manage to have fun every once in a while?

In her stunned fury she threw herself onto the couch, grabbed a pillow, pummeled her face into it, and started screaming. After Lily’s scream she felt somehow better, and sat up with her eyes sparkling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
James ran up the Gryffindor boy’s dormitories stairs and reached Sirius’ bed. He started to shake him violently.

“SIRIUS! WAKE UP! NOW! MOVE YOU OLD TOAD! GET UP!”

Groggily, Sirius opened his eyes and moaned loudly.

Obviously annoyed, he asked, “wwhhattttttttt?” then rolled back over. His face in his pillow he said in a muffled voice, "What do you want Prongs? Did Snivelly trap
Peter in the boys' lavatory again?"

“We- er- are getting a new brother.” He said the last part all at once to get the news off of his chest.

"Merlin's Beard, James," Sirius shifted his position and blinked to adjust his eyes in the change of light. "Have you any idea about what time it is?"

James's expression changed dramatically to a frown.

"Son of a bludger, Sirius. Did you not hear what I just said? We are getting a new brother."

“What?” Sirius had his full attention on James immediately, “How did this happen? Your parents weren't planning on having any more kids.”


"Would you please just be serious for once?" James was getting annoyed now.

"I am always Sirius."

James simply pushed the letter into his hand and stormed off in frustration. After reading it Sirius started pondering.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
POV- Sirius

My mind raced as I read this ridiculous letter. WHAT possessed the Potter's to do such a thing? I mean, I know it sucks that the kid’s parents died and stuff, but seriously! I am part of the Potter family now! How’s the response going to be with him? Will Mum and Dad like him more then me as an adoptee? And- what if he’s good looking? This might ruin my chances with the girls! Well I’d better set this kid straight on who runs the show in this school- me and ol’ Prongsie here.

After this thought, Sirius grinned sheepishly and rolled over again. Within a minute, he was back to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Lily looked at herself in the mirror as she braided her long hair.

Breathe in, deep breath out. Breathe in, and out. Ok, this might not be so bad. I'll just be nice to her until she gets over it. Heck, maybe I'll even find that I like her after getting to know her! Maybe not...UGH I have to go find Nikki and Claire.

Lucky for Lily, her two best friends were early risers by nature as was she. She found them lying on Nikki’s bed giggling furiously. Lily stopped to eavesdrop on what they were saying.

“And you, Christine Claire Wenger, the depths of your belly button remind me of a bottomless pit that you throw a penny down and never hear it go 'clunk' at the bottom.”

“You, Miss Nicole Rose Lofton, the paleness of your skin reminds me of a crescent moon being reflected off of a smooth lake in the dead of night,” Claire countered.

“And you, you both remind me of…well…I can’t really think of anything to top both of you now can I?” When Lily said this both girls nearly fell off the bed in fright. Then all three started laughing again. When they could finally talk again, Claire spoke.

“You caught us Lily! Now what is it that you had to interrupt our wild imaginations for?” She said this with an annoyed tone of voice, yet was smiling all the least.

“I’m going to get straight to the point. My parents told Dumbledore that I would mentor Aubrey Miller. Her parents got themselves killed, so now basically I'm stuck with her.”

"Aubrey Miller? The insane little fourth year?"

"No, she's third year! That's crazy, Lils. You're already busy enough," Claire interjected.

While they were chatting rapidly, Lily took a second to notice their features. Nikki’s long, golden blonde hair was a little frizzy but still somehow it looked gorgeous all the same. Her green eyes were suddenly flashing crystal blue, as they did when she had a strong emotion. Claire’s highlighted brown hair was up, which was rare for her. Usually her shoulder-length hair was lying softly on her back. Both girls were abnormally beautiful, as was Lily, but she didn’t think so.

“Lily, what are we going to do with her?" Nikki had interrupted Lily’s train of thought.

“I guess I don’t know. Just be natural, polite, and yet distant. Hopefully she’ll take the hint and... I don't know. Listen, I’d love to stay and continue to listen to your- er- beautiful 'poetry,'” she had to pause for some more giggling, “But I have to go find Professor Dumbledore. I’ll see you guys at breakfast.” With that, she turned around and left.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"You wanted to see me, Professor?" Lily was sitting in a chair in front of Dumbledore’s desk.

"Yes, Lily. I assume you got a letter from your parents this morning." Lily nodded. "And wish to talk to you about it. Aubrey has had a tough first two years at Hogwarts as it is. She's incredibly bright, almost too smart for her own good at times, but has had some difficulty making friends until the start of this year. It seems that over the summer she has improved her social skills, so she's fitting in better. Nevertheless, this horrific event in her life will impact her greatly. She needs someone to look after her and mentor her. Do you think you're up for the job even though you must be really busy with your work and being Head Girl? Do you think you'll be able to find the time?" Dumbledore gave Lily a look that made her turn her head in shame. It seemed that he could see exactly what she was thinking.

A bubble of guilt arising in her chest, Lily realized something. This was something she'd have to do, for someone else. This girl is in her worst hours and Lily cannot be selfish. Lily knew what she had to do. She nodded.

A/N: Please review...