Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Now or Never by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry was sitting at a small round table in the corner of the Gryffindor common room with Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, his two best friends. Harry was cheerful to be back at school after a long and tiring summer. Although he had only been at the Dursley’s for two weeks, it had given him more than enough time to think about the death of Sirius. It wasn’t a topic that Harry liked to discuss with his friends, but when he was alone it was almost all he thought about. He had also been thinking a special girl who also seemed to weasel her way into Harry’s thoughts all the time. Harry stared across the room at her. She was sitting by the fireplace absorbed in a book. Her long red hair jumped out at him. He smiled. A loud drumming noise shoved him back into reality. He turned around to see Hermione drumming her fingers on the table and looking intently at Harry.

“What?” he asked her, although he knew what was coming.

“You were doing it again, Harry.” Hermione replied with a wide smirk on her face. She couldn’t help but laugh at Harry, she noticed what he was up to only too often.

“Hermione, I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Harry, you really couldn’t make it any more obvious.” The smirk was still sitting on her face, as noticeable as ever.

“Hermione, seriously, what are you talking about?” Harry knew very well that Hermione was referring to Harry’s crush on his best friend’s sister, Ginny. Ginny was a year younger than Harry, Ron, and Hermione and had had a crush on Harry a few years ago. Harry had not really noticed her until last year, although he somehow knew she had always been there.

Hermione gave up easily because she knew that Harry was trying very hard to keep his secret away from Ron and would not admit to anything in front of him. Harry knew Ron only too well to know that Ron would probably make fun of him for years if he knew that Harry liked Ginny.

Ron was looking at them both with an extremely puzzled look on his face. “Hermione, you’re always telling Harry he’s doing something”may I ask what he is doing?”

“Ron, he is doing nothing that involves you. Now be quiet and finish doing you’re homework.”

“Yes, mum.” Harry let out a snort; he tried to hold back his laughter because he didn’t want to get Hermione angry. She had a temper like Mrs. Weasley. Hermione on the other hand glared at Ron.

“I’ve had about enough from you lately, Ronald.” And with that she marched over to Ginny with all her belongings and sat down next to her. Harry glanced back down at his Potion's essay.

“I can’t focus right now. I’m gonna head off to the dormitory.” Harry’s mind had wandered to Ginny once again. She was so beautiful, but why would she ever like Harry again. He was just an arrogant famous boy. The boy who lived.

******************************************
Ginny looked up from her book as she saw Harry get up and head towards his dormitories. She watched him closely until he was out of site. Ginny had liked Harry for as long as she could remember. She always saw him and talked to him often because he was best friends with Ron. But, she had never gotten the courage to tell Harry how much she liked him.

Hermione was now smirking at her. It was as if she could she right into Ginny’s mind.

“Ginny, may I ask you something?” Hermione said.

“Sure, anything.” At least Hermione would take her mind off Harry. She didn’t notice the smirk on Hermione’s face.

“Why don’t you tell Harry you like him?”

“What are you talking about?” Hermione smiled at Ginny, for Harry’s response had been almost identical.

“Ginny, honestly. I know you like Harry. You should really tell him.” The smirk faded off her face and she looked serious now.

Ginny knew she had to give in. She just didn’t know that Ron was listening from across the room. “I know I should, but he doesn’t like me. I don’t want to be rejected by Harry Potter. It’s better off me not knowing his response.” She looked sheepishly down at the floor.

“Ginny Weasley, you are being just plain silly. I am positive I can guess Harry’s reaction and I’m pretty sure you’d be happy with the outcome.”

“And what would his reaction be?”

“Now, why would I want to ruin all the fun. You’ll just have to find out for yourself.”

Ginny stared at the wall. Did Harry like her? She didn’t know that, but she knew one thing”she was going to have to tell Harry how she felt. It was now or never. She got up smiled at Hermione and headed off to bed.

******************************************
Ron walked over to Hermione and sat down next to her on the couch. “What was that all about?”

“Oh Ron, you are so utterly stupid sometimes.”

“What are you talking about?” It was the third time Hermione had heard this phrase tonight and by now she was sick of hearing it.

“Everyone is so clueless around here and I’m sick of being the only one that knows everything.” At this, Ron laughed, Hermione definitely was a know-it-all. “In case you haven’t notice Ginny likes Harry and Harry likes Ginny. But the two them both think that the other one doesn’t like them.”

“What?” Apparently this was news to Ron.

“I quit.” Hermione had done her best to explain the situation to Ron. She left him sitting there looking dumbfounded while she headed up to bed as well.

Ron sat there and processed the information. Harry likes Ginny and Ginny likes Harry…but neither of them knew they liked each other? He smiled and raced off to see if Harry was still awake.

****************************************
Harry was laying in bed thinking about everything. Voldemort, the prophecy, his parents, Sirius, and Ginny kept crossing his mind. He needed Ginny; he needed someone special to confide in, not just Ron and Hermione. Suddenly, he heard someone run into the room and a very loud whisper filled the air. “HARRY ARE YOU AWAKE?”

“Well if I was sleeping, I’m definitely awake now.” Harry let out a fake yawn.

“Well..umm..you see…Hermione…she just…ummm…”

“Ron, you better spit out what you’re trying to say or I’m going back to bed.” He was in no mood to be playing games.

“Ginny likes you.” Ron turned beet red as he said, although he had nothing to be embarrassed about.

“Good for her.” Harry didn’t want Ron to think that he liked her. Inside, though, his mind was doing flips. Did she really like him? No, he thought, that’s not possible.

“I thought you liked her!”

“Where did you get that idea from?”

“Hermione.”

“Speaking of Hermione, when are you going to ask her out?”

“DON’T CHANGE THE SUBJECT ON ME HARRY. AND I KNOW THAT YOU LIKE GINNY. ALL THE CLUES FIT. NOW IF YOU WILL STOP BEING A GIT AND JUST TELL HER HOW YOU FEEL…THEN MAYBE I'LL CONSIDER HERMIONE.” By now, Harry was surprised the whole dormitory wasn’t awake. Harry continued to stare up at his ceiling. He didn’t know what to do.

“I need to take a walk.” And with that, he got up and left.

***************************************
Ginny could not sleep at all. All she could think about was Harry. He had been through so much. How did he do it all? Didn’t he need someone like her? She had too much to think about and couldn’t get a grip on it all. She decided that she needed a walk was well.

***************************************
Harry walked down the steps from the dormitory and sat down on a chair by the fire in the common room. Just as he was closing his eyes he heard footsteps behind him and he quickly turned around to see Ginny staring at him.

She stopped dead in her tracks. They both seemed to be thinking the same thing for at the time they spoke.

“Hi, Ginny.”

“Hi, Harry.”

“Couldn’t sleep?” Harry asked. He tried to make small talk.

“No…too much on my mind.”

“You have too much on your mind?!” For some reason Harry sounded angry as he began to yell and then he continued…only to make the situation worse. “Nothing compares to what I’ve had to think about! It’s my fault Sirius is dead! I want my parents more than ever! Oh and to top it all off…I have to kill Voldemort!” Harry stared. He had just screamed at Ginny. Ginny Weasley of all people.

Ginny stared at him. Tears filled up her eyes. She knew Harry was having a tough time, but she never expected him to scream at her. She turned around and began to run back to bed, but Harry grabbed her arm and she turned around to look at him. His face was inches way from hers.


A/N Slow start but will get better--i promise! please review!