Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Now or Never by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry was sitting in the common room when Ron came bounding into the room. Harry looked up at Ron and smiled. It was as if the two understood each other perfectly because Ron nodded back with a smile. Hermione walked into the room shortly after and the three of them just sat in silence in the common room and then they began remembering all the fun times that they had had before the Department of Mysteries. “The triwizard tournament seems like it was ages ago…” Hermione said as she remembered how Harry had defeated the dragon, rescued Ron and Fleur’s sister from the lake, and then she remembered the chaos that occurred when Harry had come out of the maze with Cedric’s dead body and the news of Voldemort’s return.

It was a night Harry did not want to remember”he didn’t want to think about Cedric and especially Voldemort. He hadn’t told any of his friends about the prophecy but the burden of it was beginning to become too heavy for only his shoulders. It was then that he made a decision to tell his best friends about the prophecy, but he wanted to wait for Ginny to get back. “Guys, I need to tell you something, but we have to wait until Ginny gets back,” he mumbled, knowing that this day was not going to be as good as it had looked about an hour ago.

Hermione suddenly looked worried because this conversation had obviously been sparked by her comment about the triwizard tournament. Ron and Hermione looked at each other and both of them blushed.

Harry looked very serious for the next ten minutes as they waited for Ginny to return. Finally, Harry noticed her red hair emerge from the portrait hole and he smiled. He got up, walked up to her, and kissed her on the cheek. Ginny blushed but then she kissed him back. “I missed you,” Ginny said to Harry with a flirtatious smile on her face.

“I missed you, too,” Harry said back as he kissed her again. He still couldn’t believe that he had never noticed Ginny before all of this, she was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

“I don’t mean to break up the love or anything, but Harry, you said you wanted to talk to all of us about something,” Hermione interrupted. Hermione was always anxious to know what was going on, especially when it involved Harry.

Harry let out a deep sigh. “Alright, but I can’t talk about it in here. And Hermione, you might want to grab those,” Harry said as he pointed to a box of tissues that were sitting on the table next to them. At this comment, Hermione turned stone cold but refused to grab the tissues.

Harry then led them out of the common room, holding Ginny’s hand (who was now shaking and looking extremely worried), down the hallway and up to the top of the astronomy tower. Harry took a deep breath and stared up at the stars and breathed in the fresh air. “I love night time, it’s so calm.” Harry wasn’t acting normal and Hermione, Ginny, and even Ron could tell.

Ginny didn’t know what to think. This day had meant so much to her because she had finally gotten Harry, her first and only love. She knew that what Harry was about to tell them all was something big, no not big, huge. She didn’t want it to ruin what her and Harry now had.

“We should probably sit down,” Harry said as he scanned the faces of his best friends. They all look petrified. Petrified and worried.

“Harry, before you begin, what is this all about?” Hermione said as calmly as she could.

Harry stared straight ahead at the wall in front of him and answered as simply as he could, “Voldemort.”

“Well, that’s what I figured…”

“Is it really Hermione? Do you always know what everyone is thinking?” Ron asked her, he was just trying to break the ice with a joke but it obviously wasn’t funny because Hermione glared back.

“If I always knew what everyone was thinking then I wouldn’t need to be in this conversation now would I, Ronald?” She had never looked at someone so coldly before in her life, especially to Ron, who she just happened to be crushing on.

Ginny decided it was her turn to speak, but she didn’t know what to say. She looked into his green eyes that she had fallen in love with so many moons ago, and she found her voice again. “Harry, whatever it is you have to tell us, no matter what, we will be here for you. And I love you and I always will.” She kissed him on the cheek and squeezed his hand tightly in hers.

Harry was lucky to have someone like Ginny, he didn’t know what he would do without her now that he had her. He let out a deep breath and then he began. “Before I start, I just want to give you fair warning. What I am about to tell you is a huge burden, a weight I have been carrying around for the past several months. And it’s not a good burden. If you don’t want to have to deal with this”I understand. But just leave now.” He looked around at Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Ginny was shaking uncontrollably and Hermione had grabbed Ron’s arm. He hadn’t even told them about the prophecy yet. If they were this upset already, he didn’t know how they would be able to deal with the actual news.
No one replied to what he had said, so he continued on. “Do you all remember the prophecy from the department of mysteries?”

“The one that Neville dropped? The one that shattered?” Hermione asked.

“Yes. Well, Dumbledore showed me what it said last year, the night that Sirius died,” It suddenly hit him, he hadn’t told Ron and Hermione about Sirius and the mirror. He would have to tackle that story another day. “It basically said”well it said…” Harry began to shake and his eyes began to fill with tears.

Ginny wrapped her arms around Harry and kissed him on the cheek. “It’s okay, Harry, we’re ready to know.”

“Well, it said a lot of things…but the main thing is that I’m the only one who can kill Voldemort. And one of us has to kill the other one or neither of us can survive. Or, we both die.” That was it. He had said it. And he was now crying, just like Hermione and Ginny. Ron just stared straight ahead, with his mouth open a little bit. Ginny got up began to pace back in forth with tears streaming down her face. Hermione was crying, but it was a calm crying. Harry couldn’t look at them, he couldn’t face them. He got up and walked over to the edge of the tower and leaned over the edge. He looked up at the stars and sighed for the third time that night.

Hermione was now quietly talking to herself, while Ron had gone over to comfort Ginny, who had collapsed onto the ground. Harry turned around but he didn’t want to help. He thought that telling them about the prophecy would lighten the weight on his shoulders. Boy was he wrong. It had made them feel 10 times heavier.

A/N: Hey guys...I'm sorry for the depressing chapter--i thought the story needed soemthing other than fluff. The chapters to come will be happier--some of them at least ;). Please review!