Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Now or Never by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It had been a week since Harry had told Ron, Hermione, and Ginny about the prophecy. He hadn’t talked to any of them since then. After Harry had talked to them about the prophecy, he had gone to see Dumbledore because he felt lost and confused.

Dumbledore told him that when they were ready to talk to him again, they would. It wasn’t that Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were mad at him; it was that they still couldn’t believe that he had a good chance of dying. Every time he walked by Ginny, she would break down crying.

Harry had barely eaten in the past week and he was never seen in the common room. He kept to himself in the dormitory with his hangings drawn or in the library by himself. He wanted to go down to the Great Hall for dinner that evening because he had decided he was ready to face the world again. But, then again, he was also content with sitting on his bed thinking about nothing.

*********************************
Ginny was so worried about Harry. She hadn’t spoken to him since the night that he had told her about the prophecy. Ginny wanted to talk to him very badly, but she didn’t want to upset him anymore. She also didn’t want to upset herself. The love of her life could die when he fought Voldemort. He would have to fight Voldemort, eventually, wouldn’t he? That’s what the whole prophecy was about. She lay in her bed at that moment when she suddenly realized something. Oh my god, she thought, all Harry wants is a friend, someone to talk to, and I’ve been completely ignoring him. He needs me, she thought. She got up and quickly ran out of her dormitory and towards the sixth year boys’ room.

She opened the door a crack to see the hangings around one bed drawn, and she assumed it was Harry.

Harry was curious as to who had just come into his room but he was afraid it was Ron, so he didn’t look.

“Harry?” Ginny’s voice filled the air. A shiver ran threw his body as he pulled back the hangings around the bed and looked into Ginny’s eyes. He had missed her the past week, especially since she had said that she would always be there for him. This past week, she hadn’t been there, when he needed her most.

***********************************
Ron and Hermione were sitting in the Great Hall eating dinner in silence like they had been doing for the past week. Silence causes people to think a lot, and at this particular meal Hermione was doing a lot of thinking.

“Ron?” She asked him.

“Hm?” He was busy stuffing his mouth with food as usual, so it was hard for him to talk.

“Ron, I think we need to talk to Harry,” When Hermione said this, Ron dropped his fork, swallowed the remaining food in his mouth, and looked at her as if it was just what he had been thinking.

“Well, obviously, I was waiting for you to say something about it,” Ron sounded like Hermione, which was a rare event.

“Why were you waiting for me to say something about Harry?” She asked with a little tone in her voice.

“Because you’re the sensitive one.”

“I’m the sensitive one? Ron, you have got to be kidding me,” As the two of them continued to argue, Professor Dumbledore had walked into the Great Hall and was heading straight for the two of them.

**********************************
Harry did not say a single word to Ginny, he just stared at her.

“Harry, can we please talk?” Ginny asked, on the verge of tears. She knew that Harry wasn’t happy with her and all she wanted was to make things better.

“You tell me. You’re the one who hasn’t talked to me for the past week. I’m not sure if you can talk anymore, at least to me,” Harry was so upset about the past week that he wanted to make Ginny cry. What am I saying? He thought. I don’t want to make Ginny cry!

“Harry, I’m really, really, really sorry. I just couldn’t let myself believe that you could actually die, you could get hurt. Harry, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I hate to clue you, Ginny, but that’s not the problem. Or at least that’s not what I’m upset about. I’m upset because you gave me your word. You told me that you’d be there for me no matter what it was. Well, I just went through the whole week, by myself. And since you obviously went through all of this by yourself, then maybe we should just be ‘by ourselves’.”

Ginny started to shake much like she had done on the night that Harry had told her about the prophecy. “This isn’t fair,” Ginny said, “This just isn’t fair.” And with that, she walked out of the room and headed towards a corner of the common room where she collapsed. And cried.

***********************************
Dumbledore stood behind Ron just as he was saying, “If anyone is being sensitive right now, Hermione, it’s Harry,” which of course, was the absolute worst thing Ron could have said in front of the headmaster.

“Well, Mr. Weasley, he does have right to be. He’s going through a rough time right now and he seems to be missing the three most important people to him,” Dumbledore spoke as if there was nothing wrong, but Hermione could see right through it.

“Professor, I’m”we’re really sorry that we haven’t been there for Harry. He told us about the prophecy, and well, we got just as upset as he was. We don’t know what to say to him, what to do,” Hermione’s eyes were full of unshed tears, she couldn’t, no she wouldn’t, start crying about this again.

“You never needed to talk to him about the prophecy, you just need to talk to him. He just wants someone to talk to. A friend,” Dumbledore looked over at Ron who for once, was actually listening.

“He’s got Ginny,” Ron said, even though he knew full-well that Ginny hadn’t spoken to Harry at all either.

Dumbledore winked at Ron and as he spoke, “You and I know that Mr. Potter and Ms. Weasley are also not talking. Now, if I were you two, I would go off and find Mr. Potter. Apologize and talk to him. I think that everything will be fine,” Dumbledore turned to leave and walk up to the head table but Hermione stopped him.

“Professor?”

“Yes, Hermione,” As Dumbledore turned back around his robes floated threw the air.

“I have a question. It’s about the whole prophecy thing…do you think that Harry can kill Voldemort?”

Dumbledore let out a big sigh as he responded, “Only time will tell, Ms. Granger, only time will tell.”

******************************************
Ron and Hermione walked out of the Great Hall in silence as they thought about Dumbledore’s last words. Hermione couldn’t help but think that Harry was going to need all the help he could get. When they arrived at the portrait of the Fat Lady, she spoke to them. “When you two get in there will you please tell that crying girl to be quiet? I’m trying to rest.”

Hermione and Ron looked at each other and as soon as they stepped out of the portrait hole, Ron spotted Ginny sobbing in the corner. He raced over to her as he shouted, “Gin, what the bloody hell is wrong?”

“We”me and Harry….we….we…we”broke up!” Ginny was crying like she would never stop.

*********************************
Guys--I'm so sorry for another depressing chapter...the next chapter will be much happier”I promise! Please review--when you do it really makes my day. I'm not posting the next chapter until I get at least 1 review!