Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Now or Never by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ginny woke up early the next morning to the usual dark room. She got up out of her bed and didn’t even bother to get changed as she saw no point in it. She missed Harry and her brother so much and she was beginning to become worried. If they never make it back alive, she thought, I will sentence myself to death.

From the edge of her bed she could hear voices coming from the Common Room, but there was no one left at the school except for her and Hermione. That voice sounds so familiar she said to herself as she quickly hurried down the steps. As she came sprinting down the stairs she came face to face with the back of a red head, and it just happened to belong to the one red head she was missing the most, Ron.

“OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!” Ginny screamed as she tackled her brother and jumped into his arms. His face was scarred and cut up and he looked as if he hadn’t slept in weeks.

“Hey Ginny…oh how I’ve missed you! How are you? How’s everything going?” He and Hermione had obviously been talking for a while because Hermione wasn’t hugging him or going crazy that he was back.

“WHERE’S HARRY? IS HE OKAY?” She had always thought that they would both come back together…but Harry was no where in sight.

Hermione and Ron both looked at each other and then Ron grabbed Ginny’s hand. “Gin, I think you’re going to need to sit down.”

Oh, this couldn’t be good, this couldn’t be good. She took a seat as her whole body began to shake.

“Okay, well, I’ll explain what happened briefly right now, and then I can explain the rest later. Hmmm, where to begin...well, Voldemort had way more help then we expected. Everything was on his side and he was heavily guarded. By the time our army had gotten to him, we were all worn down and weak, especially Harry. He knew that every one and everything was depending on him, so he decided he needed rest before we advanced anymore. Well, while Harry was sleeping, we were all trying to guard him. Voldemort decided this was the best time to attack him, so he did. Harry woke up just seconds before Voldemort sent ancient, deadly curses at him.”

Ginny was now crying as she grabbed Ron and got on her knees on the ground. “Ron...no”he can’t”HARRY’S NOT DEAD.”

Ron swallowed hard before he continued. “But, Harry’s one hour nap helped him that much more. He had the strength he needed and fought back. Aww Gin, you should have seen it. The two greatest wizards dueling, but not with their wands, with swords and animated figures. The dueling lasted three days and Voldemort was growing weaker because he hadn’t slept in over one month. At the end of the battle, both Voldemort’s and Harry’s defensive systems collapsed. Harry got Voldemort first with an ancient killing spell, but as Voldemort began to curl up and die a painful death, he used all the strength he had to hit Harry with an ancient Cruiacious curse that no one had a counter-curse for. Voldemort’s body vanished into nothing but dust, but by the time the curse was lifted off Harry he was in so much pain. He told everyone he wanted to die. But, he was strong, Gin, because of you. He said, ‘I need to live for Ginny,’ and he passed out. He’s been in St. Mungo’s since and he still hasn’t woken up.”

Ginny didn’t say anything. She stared straight ahead and her eyes were completely glazed over as if there was no one else in the world but her.

“Ginny? Harry’s going to be okay…once he wakes up. The doctors think it could take up to three years for him to wake up, but they said he will wake.”

Ginny slowly turned her head towards Ron and looked into his eyes. She began to cry harder than anyone has ever cried before, and she didn’t stop crying for 9 days.
**************************************
The darkness outside had finally lifted and nine days after Ron had come back, Ginny finally left her room. When she walked into the common room, Ron ran over to her and gave her a hug. “It’s good to have you back, Ginny,” he said to her.

She just nodded in response.

There was still no one back besides Ron because everyone was trying to clean up the mess left behind from the battle. Dumbledore had sent Ron back to take care of Ginny and Hermione and told him that he would be returning to the school to see the three of them within the next month.

“Can we go see Harry?” Ginny asked. He was all Ginny thought about.

Ron shook his head. “The doctors won’t allow anyone near him. Not even Dumbledore. Here Gin, I meant to give this to you the night I came back, but you got kinda caught up in everything.” Ron handed her an envelope addressed to her in Harry’s handwriting.

“Oh my…” She just held the letter in her hand and stared at it, turning it over and over.

“Right before he passed out he told me to give it to you,” Ron said softly in a soothing voice.

Ginny slowly ripped the envelope, took out the letter and began to read it as tears filled up in her eyes once again.

Dear Ginny,
Well, if you’re reading this letter then I’m either dead or nearly there. I just wanted to let you know how much I love you. I’ve gotten through the past few years because of you Ginny, you’ve helped me so much and you always know how to make me smile whenever I’m upset. You have got to live your life to its fullest whether I’m alive or not. I don’t want you to waste your time dwelling over my death or injuries. I’m always with you and I always will be. Knowing you, you’re probably thinking, ‘how can I live without you?’ It’s easy Gin, you’ve got Ron and Hermione and your friends and family. You can do it. I want to let you know that I was planning on proposing when I got back from this battle, and the only reason I didn’t do it sooner was simply because of this. If I had died when you were engaged to me, I wouldn’t want you to feel like you can’t meet new people and date. I love you, Ginny. Remember that. And there are only two times that I want to be with you”now and forever.

Love always and forever,
Harry


Ginny placed the letter down on the table in front of her and looked up at Ron. “Oh, Ron…I need Harry. I miss him so much and this letter”it’s”it’s…” and Ginny never was able to finish her sentence because her tears overtook her body.
***************************************

It had been almost one year since the final battle. Hogwarts was going to be re-opening next year, so Ginny was going to have to wait another year before she could go back to school. Ginny was back to living at home with her family and luckily none of them had been killed in the battle with Voldemort. Ron and Hermione were getting married and they lived in a different house just outside of the village where the Weasley’s lived.

Ginny didn’t go out much, she spent most of her time staring out the window and re-reading Harry’s letter, which by now, she had memorized. She told herself that if he didn’t wake up after three years, then she would fulfill his wishes of “living her life.”

Today was a day that Ginny would never forget, although of course she didn’t know that when she woke up that morning. Ginny was sitting at the breakfast table munching on a small piece of bacon and reading The Daily Prophet. She heard a small popping noise in the fireplace and she came face to face with Dumbledore’s head. He was a frequent visitor at her house and he never talked to her, so she quickly went back to reading the newspaper.

“Ah, just the person I was looking for. How are you doing Miss Weasley?” He said as his great gray eyes stared at her.

“Umm, hello. I’m the same as usual, lonely and bored,” Ginny replied without even looking up as she turned to the next page in the newspaper.

“Well, Ginny, that is going to end today,” Dumbledore said as a smile flashed across his face.

Ginny looked up at him and waited for him to continue.

“Harry woke up this morning. And he’s doing excellent. He wanted me to come and get you. But, do not tell anyone else that he is awake because he wants it to be a surprise.”

Ginny dropped her coffee mug and it shattered on the ground. She stared at him as if he was joking and then started jumping up and down in excitement. She quickly grabbed a coat, jumped into the fire, and left the shattered mug on the ground.

Several minutes later, Mrs. Weasley came down the stairs and into the kitchen. She noticed that shattered mug and Ginny’s unfinished breakfast and assumed that she was having another one of her Harry fits, and didn’t even bother to look for her.

*******************************************
When Ginny stepped out of the fireplace and came face to face with Dumbledore, she hugged him. He smiled down at her and spoke, “It’s great to have you back, Ginny. Before I take you to see Harry, I would like to talk to you.”

Ginny really wanted to see Harry, but since Dumbledore had been the one to come get her, she decided that she could wait a few more minutes.

“Your mother has told me how much you have missed Harry these past few years and that you haven’t been yourself since the final battle. I would like to let you know that this is something special. What you and Harry have is pure love, and I don’t see a lot of that lately. I know that if you were ever injured severly, Harry would have done the exact same thing as you did. He would have gone into hiding. But, promise me something, Ms. Weasley,”

“Anything, Professor,” she replied as she looked up at him. Even though Harry was back again, her eyes were filled with tears as she remembered her struggles over the past few years.

“Promise me that if anything ever happens to Harry again, that you will not go into hiding. Everyone has missed you so much, even if you didn’t realize it. And lastly, promise me that you will always take care of Mr. Potter, because he sure deserves someone to love him.”

Ginny hugged Dumbledore once again and as then he grabbed her hand and led her into Harry’s room.

______________________________________
A/N: this was such an emotional chapter for me to write because i hate it when characters get hurt (im such an emotional person--lol). At the point where i wrote about Harry, i got all teary eyed. Another note: If you have not seen the movie The Notebook--do yourself a favor and go see it. It is the greatest love story ever and it is truly heart-warming. Ok, i'm done being all mushy so please REVIEW!