Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Dream Come True...Kinda by fireandice

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nearly an hour after the battle’s end, a heart-broken Ron Weasley was searching for the people he cared about most in the world: Harry, Hermione, and Luna. With Ginny’s death and the loss of Fred and Percy the years before, Ron wasn’t sure he could take anymore pain. That’s why he was ecstatic when Luna rushed into his arms and he knew she was all right. But after a few moments with her, he knew he had to find his best friends. He whispered to hear that he would be back, and set to searching again.

He found Hermione near the tree the three of them always used to sit under by the lake. She was lying on top of something, shaking with sobs. Ron didn’t want to know what she was lying on top of, especially since he had a pretty good idea what, or rather who, it was.

“Hermione?” he whispered, gently tapping her shoulder. She sat up and turned to him, and he was surprised to see her smile through her tears.

“Oh Ron,” she cried, falling into his open arms. “Oh Ron, I don’t know how to feel. He’s dead, he’s dead…” here she paused, as more and more sobs came. Ron tried to fight back his tears, desperate to stay calm and be there for his best friend. But her words kept playing in his head. “He’s dead, he’s dead.”

She pulled away from him and smiled, “But Ron, I told him to let go. He’s in a better place now, he’s with his parents, and Sirius, and Lupin, a-and Ginny…” Ron hung his head at this point, fearing that any moment now the tears would start again.

“He told me, before he died, to tell you that he’s sorry about Ginny, Ron,” she put her hand under his chin and lifted it up, “And I’m sorry too, Ron, I’m so sorry.”

Ron wanted to scream that saying sorry wouldn’t bring back his little sister. And saying that Harry was in a better place wouldn’t make it hurt any less to have lost the best friend he ever had. But it was no use, it was all they could do.

“Come on, Hermione,” Ron whispered, as Madame Pomfrey came to take care of Harry’s body. Dumbledore was roaming through the grounds, visiting with fallen students and helping to secure the Death Eaters. Ron saw him coming, and felt the need to get away; he didn’t want to talk to anyone, except for Luna and Hermione.

But before he could pull Hermione away, the Headmaster was upon them. He looked down at the two of them, the usual twinkle still in his eyes, but greatly dimmed by the sudden brimming of tears.

“Are you two okay?” Dumbledore asked, offering his hands to help them up. Ron stood up on his own, still feeling the need to be with only the two people he cared about immensely. Hermione, however, took the Headmaster’s hand, and seemed to grow reassured as he pulled her up.

“We’ll make it, sir,” she said, grabbing Ron’s hand in a friendly gesture. Ron felt the same warmth he was sure Hermione had felt from Dumbledore.

“Of course we will,” Ron added, trying not to notice Harry’s body being lifted unto a stretcher.

“I’m sure you will,” the old man whispered, putting a hand on each of their shoulders’, you were there for Harry all those years, I’m sure you’ll make it if you’re there for each other. I just hope I will,” he finished, and for the first time ever, the great Albus Dumbledore completely broke down in tears.

“Professor,” Ron said, suddenly confident and desperate to help the man who had helped him and his friends so many times, “Weren’t you the one who said that to the organized mind, death is but the next great adventure?”

Dumbledore wiped his tears and smiled, “I did indeed say that, Mr. Weasley,” he said, the twinkle coming back, “And I am incredibly thrilled that Mr. Potter told you that bit of wisdom and that you reminded me of it now. Yes,” he said, the twinkle fully back now, “Harry’s adventurous life is not over, its just continuing in, shall we say, a different venue.” And with that, he laid a hand on each of their shoulders once more, and continued his journey through the grounds.

Harry’s body was being carried away from them. Ron smiled awkwardly as Hermione released his hand. “I have to go find Luna again, are you gonna be okay, ‘Mione?”

“I’m going to go with Harry, just for a little more, Ron. You go find Luna,” she turned to walk away, when Ron called her back.

“Hermione, a long time ago, Harry made me promise to take care of you…”

“He made me promise the same thing, Ron. Don’t worry, we’ll take care of each other,” she smile and wrapped her arms around his neck in a warm embrace. When she pulled away and looked Ron in the eyes, she almost laughed as she thought of something. A dream she had had, a little more than a year ago.

“Ron,” she said, happy she thought of something to lighten the mood, “Let’s never get married.”




A/N You might not have gotten the ending if you didn’t read my other story, “When Life Gives You Lemons…”
Well, I hoped you liked my dark romance here. It’s my second attempt at a story with relationships, and I hope it’s a little better than the first. Let me know with some reviews! And I’d like to give a shout to Janyne once again, for inspiring this whole train of thought, and to Meagan and Jessica for the title help of the previous story and for your support of my stories! And thanks to all my reviewers too, you make my day!