The Mystery of the Lightning Bond by electronicquillster
Summary: As Andrea Benning starts her fifth year at Hogwarts alongside The Trio, she has her own daily things to deal with, like a life-altering secret, studying, orchestrating Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance and a crush of her own. When one attends Hogwarts, one can hardly expect things to go as planned.





Fred and George Weasley are really only returning to Hogwarts for the priceless market research, but will there be time for other things as well?





As friendships and romances develop, the students at Hogwarts will also have to deal with the second rise of the evil Lord Voldemort and the terrible toad of a Defense professor - Umbridge.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 75952 Read: 125730 Published: 03/22/05 Updated: 10/07/06

1. Hogwarts Express by electronicquillster

2. Yeah Is What We Had by electronicquillster

3. Beaters and Umbridge by electronicquillster

4. Advice and Boggarts by electronicquillster

5. Completely Mental, That One by electronicquillster

6. Complications and Meddlers by electronicquillster

7. Say Goodnight and Go by electronicquillster

8. Matches Can Burn by electronicquillster

9. Mistletoe and Misguided Dreams by electronicquillster

10. Christmastime Is Here by electronicquillster

11. The Library, the Lab, and the Anticipation by electronicquillster

12. Dropping Eaves & Deciphering Reason by electronicquillster

13. Hogsmeade and the Quibbler by electronicquillster

14. The First Break-up by electronicquillster

15. Mooncalves and Dungbombs by electronicquillster

16. Kites and Sackings by electronicquillster

17. Invisibility Gum by electronicquillster

18. The Trouble With Girls by electronicquillster

19. The Exit by electronicquillster

20. The Wake of the Departure by electronicquillster

21. Chapter 21 by electronicquillster

Hogwarts Express by electronicquillster
Author's Notes:
Although JK stole all of the original text from me, I must let you know that this is the stuff she cut out. Think along the lines of Lord of the Rings Extended editions...this fic is like the stuff on the extra discs and the deleted scenes, maybe some alternate endings...I don’t know. I haven’t decided whether or not Sirius will die in my version...Plenty of time to decide that.

Now, everyone open your books to pages 182 and 183, for that is where our tale begins...


“Oh, you two are just growing up so quickly! My gorgeous little baby Andrea in her fifth year!” Mrs. Benning was near tears, saying goodbye to her two children on platform nine and three quarters. It was nearing eleven o’clock, and soon the Hogwarts Express would be steaming away from King’s Cross Station.

“Come now Morgan,” Mr. Benning urged his wife. “They need to board the train. We’ll see them at Christmas.”

Mrs. Benning nodded in agreement, finally resigned it seemed to let her children go. They started to walk away, but Mrs. Benning pulled them each back, squeezing them into one last hug. “Roderick, Andrea, you two be careful. Mind you eat your fruits and vegetables. And don’t stay up too late. And make sure to study hard, especially you, Andrea; you’ve got O.W.L.s this year. And, Roderick, make sure that you wear your scarves and gloves when it gets cold.” She kept on thinking of motherly things to say, almost ready to let them go when she thought of yet something else.

Finally Mr. Benning pried his children from his wife’s arms, winking at them as he shooed them onto the train. Andrea and Roderick laughed once they’d boarded the train. This was nothing out of the ordinary. It had been the same every year they’d left for school. Their mum was always fine until the last moment, and then their father always had to try as hard as he could to get her to let them go.

Andrea was in her fifth year, and Roderick was in his sixth. Though Roderick was a year older, and Andrea was adopted, it didn’t have any impact on the intensely close friendship they shared. Of course they annoyed each other in that way that only siblings can, but for the most part they stuck together, and Roderick was the only one that knew everything about Andrea’s past. Most people didn’t even know that Andrea had been adopted into the Bennings’ family. They shared a striking resemblance: jet black hair, intensely hazel eyes, and similar noses and complexions.

One of their fellow Gryffindors, Lee Jordan walked past them on the way to some compartment further up the train, and they greeted each other briefly. “Did you see Potter’s wicked dog? Take a look, he’s out there on the platform still.”

Andrea and Roderick looked out the window, both of their jaws dropping. “I can’t believe he came out here in broad daylight,” Andrea whispered quietly to Roderick. “Doesn’t he know what a huge risk he’s taking?”

Roderick merely shrugged when Andrea turned to him. Next moment, they were pounced on by Edward Abercrombie, who slung an arm around each of their shoulders. “Hey, Bennights!” He was smiling as he used his term that referred to Roderick and Andrea together. “It’s been a long two weeks since I’ve seen you. Hey, did Lynch get his arm patched up after that nasty fall during our match?” They nodded. At the end of Edward’s weeklong stay with the Bennings over the summer, Lynch, Troy, Mullet and Moran had come by for dinner with some of the other Irish Quidditch players and they’d all gone out for a quick match. Troy had been knocked off his broom by a Bludger had broken his arm.

Andrea and Roderick’s father, Walter Benning, was the head of the English and Irish Quidditch League, so having professional Quidditch players over for dinner wasn’t out of the ordinary for the Bennings.

“Andrea, do you mind if I steal Roderick away?”

“Please, Ed, nothing would make me happier,” she feigned a look of desperation.

“Oh, come off it,” Roderick laughed.

“You come off it,” Andrea retorted. “I’ve been stuck with you all day everyday for the whole of the summer holidays!”

“Which is exactly why it’s time for the best time of the whole year! Sixth year Gryffindor male bonding!” Edward beamed with pride.

“Yes, the time of year where you and your fellow dorm mates try and outdo your records from last year for the most sweets consumed from the trolley.”

“Exactly! And Exploding Snap. Don’t forget, lots of Exploding Snap.”

“Right,” Andrea couldn’t help but laugh as they ran down the corridor, nearly knocking over some petrified second years. It was good to be going back to Hogwarts.

It only took her a few minutes to find the compartment she was looking for. When she slid the glass door open, she was greeted by Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, and Sophie Smethwyck. Sophie and Andrea had been best friends from the moment they bumped into each other looking for a compartment on the Hogwarts Express their very first year. Dean and Seamus were in the midst of a game of Exploding Snap, and Andrea quickly seated herself to watch. Sophie was in the corner, a few rolls of parchment on her lap as well as her book for History of Magic. Sophie had bewitched her bottle of ink to sprout wings and hover conveniently for her to dip her quill.

The three others knew not to bother Sophie while she was busy scribbling away on a piece of parchment. Sophie was the fifth, and youngest, of five children born to Hippocrates and Ellen Smethwyck. Hippocrates was a healer in the Dai Llewellyn Ward at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. All four of Sophie’s older sisters had grown up and become, or were at the time in training to become, healers at St. Mungo’s as well. There was nothing Sophie wanted more than to join the ranks of the Smethwycks at St. Mungo’s. Sophie had planned out her entire future when she was only nine, and she didn’t only want to succeed, she wanted to squash any and all competition while she did it. Sophie was nice, but she always wanted to be the best, and so they knew that it wasn’t wise to interrupt her while she was studying.

They were a good hour and a fair few pumpkin pasties into their trip when Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger walked past the open door to their compartment, waving hello and inquiring about summers all around. After their footsteps had fallen away, Sophie took her ink bottle and threw it across the compartment, smashing it against the wall. Andrea, Seamus and Dean jumped and fell silent, looking around at Sophie, who had tears in her eyes. The boys jumped up and said they were in dire need of some pumpkin juice and needed to go find the Trolley Lady, leaving Andrea alone to deal with Sophie.

Andrea stood and closed the door to their compartment. She turned around and looked at her best friend, whose tears had started to spill over. “Sophie, darling, I don’t think they were looking to give the walls of this compartment a new coat of paint at the moment. You didn’t even do a good job of it.”

Sophie gave a weak laugh, laying aside her book, quill, and parchment.

Andrea pointed her wand at the wall, “Scourgify.” She sat across from her friend. She didn’t ask Sophie to explain herself; she didn’t need to. Sophie knew that’s what Andrea wanted, and Andrea knew that Sophie would spill her feelings when she was willing.

“I didn’t think I’d care this much,” the words spilled forth, as did more tears. “I mean, I like Hermione. She’s nice, but. . . .”

“You didn’t want her to be Prefect.”

“No! Do you know how many school rules she’s broken? How many times she’s snuck out of Gryffindor Tower after hours?”

“Well, we do share the same room, so I can take a fair guess about how often she’s left it at night. What’s your guess? More or less than three million?” Andrea speculated.

Generally Andrea knew her best friend to be a rather confident girl, and very sure of herself. The one thing that seemed to be an eternal thorn in Sophie’s side, and could frustrate her, annoy her, anger her, and as was evident at this moment, send her into tears was Hermione Granger. Hermione managed to always edge her way just past Sophie and be the best at everything the two both took a stab at.

“I mean, I guess I should have expected it. She is top of our class and the favorite of almost all the teachers. I just hoped that maybe I would get the letter that said I was Prefect.”

Andrea didn’t say anything, but simply listened while Sophie expressed her feelings.

“All of my sisters have been Prefects and then gone on to be the Head Girl in their last year. I just hoped that maybe I’d show up today and one of the other Prefects would come and find me and ask me why I wasn’t in the Prefect meeting, if maybe I’d missed my letter and didn’t know that it was me. Not Hermione.” She wiped the tears from her face.

“You know, you still could be Head Girl. Not all Heads have been Prefects-”

Sophie cut her off. “I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Hermione will always beat me in everything. I’m not going to hold on to some false hope of there being a possibility I could be Head Girl. Hermione is always the best.”

“Sophie, do you remember our first year?”

“Of course I remember our first year.”

“Then surely you must remember,” she continued, “that Hermione was dismal on a broomstick.”

Sophie couldn’t help the smile spreading across her face.

“She was absolutely dreadful at flying!”

“I guess you’re right, but I’m not much better.”

“Hey, but you do admit that you are better than her at something. At least you got off the ground,” the two laughed. “Now what essay are you working on last minute?” Andrea reached across to look at the rolls of parchment.

“No, don’t, I’m not finished. I’m still revising. I’ve got to keep working on it,” she sputtered.

Sure enough, there was the first draft of an essay on medieval witch burning, and another, final draft, but in between the two there was another roll that made Andrea’s jaw drop. Sophie put a hand over her face, dreading the outcome of Andrea’s discovery. The middle roll of parchment had a few sketches, which wasn’t unusual as Sophie liked to draw a bit to clear her head; but there was also a name written with a flourish and a few embellishments here and there across it as well. It was Roderick’s name.

“Sophie,” Andrea exclaimed, raising her eyebrows, and trying not to smile too widely, “am i right in the assumption that you fancy my brother?”

Sophie groaned and covered her face in embarrassment.

“Oh come on, it’s not that terrible. It’s actually quite a good match, I think. My brother and my best friend. . . .” Andrea mused. She pretended to think over all of the ramifications and then pronounced, “Yes, it is a smart match. You’ll make an excellent sister-in-law, but I’m a bit surprised at you. You’ve always been so focused, no time for romance in your life’s plan that I know of. I’m pleased in this change, mind you, but a bit surprised.”

“Well,” Sophie deduced, “now that I don’t have all the obligations of being a Prefect, I guess that leaves me some spare time.”

The two broke into a fit of giggles; Dean and Seamus, unbeknownst to the girls, were about to come back into the compartment after taking a walk about, but heard the giggling and knew it could only mean one thing: girl talk. They decided against joining the now rather giddy girls and went off again.

Fifteen minutes later, Sophie gave another groan, wishing that Andrea hadn’t found out, as she had now planned Sophie’s future marriage to Roderick, as well as the names of all their children and was getting started on how each of their careers would comply with their familial obligations.

“Look, I’ve got to finish my essay,” Sophie stated, taking her set of parchments back from Andrea.

“All right, Mrs. Benning,” she teased.

“All right,” she rolled her eyes.

Accio ‘Quidditch Through the Ages,’” Andrea muttered. The well-worn green book shot out of her trunk, whose lid popped open to allow it to leave, and Andrea settled across the cushioned seats, flipping through the book.

It wasn’t too long before Sophie went and changed into her robes. When she came back to the compartment, she sat down and watched Andrea. Her eyes were no longer skimming across the page, and she seemed hardly to have noticed Sophie was back. She gave a mixture of a heavy and whimsical sigh.

“You’re not reading anymore,” Sophie said quietly.

“Yeah, I’m sort of finished for now, I suppose.”

“You’re sighing.”

“A bit bored. How long until we get there?” Andrea sat up and set Quidditch Through the Ages aside.

“Who is he?”

“What? Who is who?” Andrea was taken aback.

“The boy you’re thinking about. It’s a different sort of feeling this time around, isn’t it?”

“Yes, I think it is,” Andrea blushed slightly. “I also think you know me far too well.”

Sophie just looked at her, smiling, waiting for further information.

“George Weasley,” she admitted.

“Merlin’s beard! One of the Trouble Twins? Since when?” Sophie queried, moving across the compartment to sit right next to Andrea.

“Since - I don’t know, all summer. . . .” she reported.

“And you didn’t tell me?” Sophie squealed, whacking Andrea with one of her rolls of parchment.

“Ow! Sophie, someone will hear you!” Andrea whispered.

“Okay, okay,” she said, in a much quieter voice. “I guess I didn’t up and tell you about Roderick either.”

“Exactly. Besides, it’s not like anything will happen there. He’s in his seventh year, and he’s no, well, no Cedric, but he’s still got a string of girls who worship him, even if he’s too busy stirring up trouble with Fred and Lee to notice any of it.”

She stopped, realizing two things: one, that she had begun to ramble; two, that Sophie had a silly grin on her face. Sophie looked like she was about to share her opinion, but Andrea was glad to be saved from it for now with the reappearance of Dean and Seamus, who’d also brought along Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. The whole group talked and laughed, catching up what had transpired over the summer, some of them occasionally going along to other compartments to see other friends so that Sophie and Andrea didn’t have a chance to speak privately again for the rest of the train ride.
Yeah Is What We Had by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: Please send your invisible galleons to me by way of owl post, because I, of course, made up everything that has to do with Harry Potter, Hogwarts, etc. Who does this J.K. Rowling think she is going along behind me and picking up all the notes that i made in coffee shops on napkins and such? And no, there isn’t a slight Pirates of the Caribbean quote in the dialogue after the Sorting Hat sings.

Now, let’s see, where did we leave off...? Ah yes, page 195 is where my chapter correlates with Order of the Phoenix. Italic portions (that aren’t spells) are sections that I’ve quoted straight out of OotP to work with my chapter. If this explanation doesn’t make sense now, it will by the end of the chapter.

~*~*~

At last the Hogwarts Express slowed to a stop and they all got off the train. Andrea smiled at the pleasantly crisp feeling of the night air on her face. It was much cooler than evenings at home in Kent, and it served to welcome her back to a new year. Fresh air for a fresh start, that’s how it had always felt. She and her fellow Gryffindors turned as they heard the familiar call for the first years, but it was Grubbly-Plank, not Hagrid, who held a lantern and was gathering the new students around her.

“That’s odd,” Sophie commented. “I wonder where Hagrid is.”

The others were perplexed as well, but as no one had the slightest inclination as to why he wasn’t there they simply dropped the subject and made their way through the crowds and to the horseless carriages. Sophie and Andrea made it into a carriage with Roderick and Edward. “Did either of you see Euan? I was going to pop in on him during the journey here, but we got too busy with our game.”

Sophie anxiously shook her head, growing a little nervous at the close proximity to the object of her affection. “I saw him,” Andrea said. “I passed his compartment on my way back from changing into my robes. He looked really nervous, but he’d found a few other first years to latch on to for the ride. They were trading chocolate frog cards I think.”

Euan was Edward’s youngest brother, there was another brother, Ethan, who was sandwiched in-between. “Well, at least Euan and his lot have got decent weather for the boat ride across the lake. D’you remember our first night Rick?”

“Bloody monsoonal rain with a bleeding fierce wind. I thought all our boats would capsize!” Roderick reminisced. “Must be enchanted so they don’t tip though, don’t you think?”

“I don’t know, I think I heard a couple years ago that the younger Creevey boy fell in. He said the squid put him back in the boat,” Andrea countered.

“Didn’t he just get pushed by one of those Slytherin blokes?” Ed questioned.

“Yeah, I think you’re right. Warrington’s brother now that I’m thinking harder about it,” Andrea surmised.

“I’m so hungry I could eat an entire hippogriff!” Roderick moaned, rubbing his stomach.

“I hear you mate,” Eddy agreed.

“What? I thought you two had stuffed your stomachs with sweets. Wasn’t that the plan?” Andrea asked.

“Exploding Snap, me dear sister, Exploding Snap. It’s an addicting obsession.”

Andrea and Sophie both smiled and rolled their eyes at each other, though the boys didn’t seem to notice. Andrea, Roderick and Eddy kept up a conversation until they rolled up to the castle. When they stepped out of the carriage, Sophie’s cousin called her to come and walk with her, and Edward straightened his robes and made his way over to flirt with Katie Bell.

“And then there were two.” Roderick and Andrea strolled up the stone steps into the Entrance Hall. “Andrea, was it just me, or was Sophie a bit weird on the way in the carriage?”

“Weird how?” Andrea asked.

“She didn’t say one word. I know she really wanted to be Prefect; is that what it was about?”

“I guess you could say that’s a small part of it.”

Roderick continued his inquiry. “What else is bothering her?”

“Rick, you know me better than anyone else. Other than when I’m mad, why else would I be at a loss for words around someone? Why would I act queerly around someone?”

“Blimey, I don’t know. You’re usually friendly enough to everyone, except when you’re mad at them. Other than that I don’t-” He broke off, his jaw dropping.

He pulled Andrea out of the crowd milling into the Great Hall, an eager look on his face. “Are you telling me that Sophie might. . . ?”

“Might what?”

“That maybe she. . . ?”

“Maybe she what?”

“Does she actually fancy me?”

“Roderick, I didn’t say anything of the sort. Don’t let it go to your head,” Andrea whispered urgently.

He seemed totally in shock. “How could it go to my head? She’s one of the smartest girls around, and I, well I. . . .” he trailed off.

“And you what?”

Andrea could barely hear as he answered, “I sort of fancy her myself.”

Andrea merely smirked. “Come on, let’s go fill your stomach,” she grabbed his arm and pulled him back into the ranks filling into the Great Hall for the Sorting, “I can hear your stomach growling like a great lion.”

“The sign of a true Gryffindor, eh?” They both laughed.

They made their way to the Gryffindor table amidst the glow of thousands of candles, each receiving their share of greetings from their friends. Though Andrea was oblivious, Roderick did not miss the fact that his little sister was turning heads. His hand even went unconsciously to his wand in an overprotective way. He knew his sister had grown up a lot over the last summer. They took seats near each other, each sitting with their classmates in their year. Each of the house tables had been spectacularly decorated. The Gryffindor table had a deep scarlet tablecloth draped over its length, and had settings of gold plates, goblets and cutlery. There were also vibrant red and yellow roses in huge bouquets spread intermittently along the table.

It wasn’t long before the first years came in, more nervous than ever as the whole school quieted. Professor McGonnagall led them to the front, carrying the three-legged stool and the familiar old, worn and tattered hat. “Look, there’s Euan!” Ed pointed to a boy in the middle of the line of first years. “He’s shaking like a leaf,” he added a bit apprehensively.

The whole school quieted down within a matter of seconds, the older students waiting for the hat to begin its song, the first years waiting for whatever was going to happen next to happen quickly.

((Please refer to pgs. 204-207 of the American version of OOtP to read the Sorting Hat’s song, I won’t take the space to include it here.))

Unsurprisingly, everyone was in a bit of shock. This year’s song was different than any of the students had heard before.

“That’s very interesting,” Andrea mumbled to Sophie.

“Indeed.”

Professor McGonnagall stood at the front of the Great Hall, waiting impatiently for the students to quiet down again, which they did rather quickly. Then she set her attention to the task at hand. “Abercrombie, Euan.”

“I hope he makes it into Gryffindor,” Ed whispered as Euan stepped forward, stumbling slightly in his nervous state. He sat on the stool and then tentatively placed the hat on his head.

A moment later, the Sorting Hat gave a great shout of, “GRYFFINDOR!”

The whole table burst into loud cheers, though Ed and his brother Ethan were probably the loudest. They watched as he gamboled over to the table, passing Ethan, who gave im a big clap on the shoulder, nearly knocking him over, and he finally sat down, being congratulated by those around him.

Finally the sorting was over, and Dumbledore stood from his seat at the staff table. “To our newcomers,” said Dumbledore in a ringing voice, his arms stretched wide and a beaming smile on his lips, “welcome! To our old hands - welcome back! There is a time for speech making, but this is not it. Tuck in!”

Everyone in the hall cheered and laughed and then began dishing hot, steaming food onto their plates as it magically appeared on the table. There were roasted chickens, turkeys, duck, lamb, ham, and pork chops; split pea soup, chicken noodle soup, potato soup, and other stews; corn, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas, and asparagus; potatoes, rice, breads and rolls, and all of the other trimmings. After a while, the tide was turned and the dinner made way for dessert. There were cakes, puddings, tarts, and pastries of all sorts.

When every stomach was full and all the food had disappeared, as did the plates, Dumbledore stood; the time for speech making had arrived. Sophie listened intently; Roderick was mildly interested; Ed and Andrea were busy conspiring, now that they knew that their best friends liked each other, for they knew that the two would never really do anything about it. They weren’t aware of any of the announcements, totally oblivious until they could no longer hear their own whispering for all the talking going on around them.

They lifted their heads to see that a great deal of their fellow students were outright carrying on normal conversations. They looked to the staff table, puzzled that Dumbledore would allow this, but were quite surprised to see that the newest member of the staff was trying to address the student body. It was a relief though, because if it had been Dumbledore that the students were ignoring, they would’ve known that something was terribly wrong.

They only heard the very end of this woman’s speech “Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what oughtt to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited.”

Dumbledore applauded, as did a few of the staff, and a sparse number of students. Then Dumbledore stood, thanked the woman, Professor Umbridge, and continued with the rest of his announcements before finally dismissing everyone to go to their dormitories. The first years were collected by Ron and Hermione, and the rest of Gryffindor house ushered past them, asking the other prefects the new password to give to the Fat Lady. Andrea and Edward detached themselves from the others so as to finish hatching their plans for Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance.

“I do think we make quite the brilliant matchmakers, don’t you think?” he asked her as they approached the entrance to Gryffindor Tower.

“We’re simply brilliant.Mimbulus mimbletonia,” Andrea said to the Fat Lady.

“Welcome back dears,” she greeted as she swung her portrait for them.

“So don’t forget,” Ed said as he headed toward the boy’s staircase.

“I won’t,” she answered. “Nine-thirty.”

“That’s the ticket!”

Andrea smiled then went over to the chairs around the fireplace, where she found Sophie, Ginny Weasley, and a couple of other fourth year girls who they were friendly with. They were all catching up and Andrea joined them happily. Everything was going wonderfully so far this year.

She was sitting in the midst of the girls when someone approached their group. “Hello all. Andrea, can I have a word with you?” It was Neal Thatcher.

Sophie and Andrea exchanged a quick look, and Sophie merely shrugged. “Sure,” Andrea said, and got up and followed him to one of the more private corners of the common room. She heard Ginny and her friends giggling as they left. As they crossed the room, they passed Fred and George Weasley who were sitting at one of the study tables talking with Lee Jordan. George looked up and glanced at them, and she wished that she wasn’t in her current predicament.

Neal Thatcher was a sixth year and extremely attractive. He was nearly perfect: smart, witty, polite, and a Prefect. Many of the girls in the school fancied him. Andrea had been one of these girls as well, but that was last year. Why did George have to see her with him? That would serve to ruin any chance that she might have with him.

The two of them sat down, and Andrea waited for him to say something, for she didn’t really have anything to say to him. “How was your summer Andrea?” he started feebly.

“It was all right, better towards the end,” she said cooly. “How was yours?”

“It would’ve been nice had I not felt like a great prat.”

Andrea’s expression softened somewhat.

“I owe you a huge apology, and I wanted to do it sooner, but I knew that you deserved more than just a note by owl post. So I’m extremely sorry about the end of term last year.”

“Thank you, that really means a lot to me,” she gave the smallest of smiles, he actually sounded like he meant it.

“I don’t want to make excuses, but I was just really busy and highly stressed out by the O.W.L.s last year. I know that’s not a good reason, but I’m really sorry. I was also a bit scared. I know it’s asking a lot, but I’d really like to try again.”

“I don’t know if I can,” she sighed.

“I know that I really hurt you, and I don’t deserve it, but I hope that someday you can forgive me. And if we can’t be a couple, I’d at least like to try and be something. Your friendship is invaluable to me, and I really hope you know that.”

“I do. I really liked you a lot, but the friendship we had was really important to me too. Just give me some time. That’s what it’s going to take, and we’ll see if we can be friends again. I hope that we can, but I can’t make any promises.”

“Thanks, it means a lot to me just to know that you’re willing to give it a shot. Goodnight,” he smiled then left her to go to the dormitory.

Without even thinking about it, she looked over at the table where George had been sitting, but Fred and Lee were the only ones left there. In fact, they were some of the only ones left in the common room. Andrea stayed where she was, drumming her fingers idly on the small table nexxt to her, needing to think before she went up to her room. She heard some shouting drift down the boy’s staircase and felt a horrible jolt of anger in her stomach. He was really upset about something, but she didn’t really want to deal with his feelings right now.

She went up to her room at last, and was greeted by Sophie, Lavender and Parvati all asking what had happened with Neal. “Well, he just apologized, and he hoped that we could try again, but I told him I couldn’t be any more than friends with him.”

“Are you mad?” Lavender exclaimed. “He’s divinely handsome and so smart.”

“Well, then aren’t you glad he’s back on the market?” Sophie defended so Andrea didn’t have to talk about it.

“I’m going to bed,” Andrea said, looking at her watch, and seeing it was nine-thirty. Time for phase one. “Sophie, I think I left my wand downstairs, would you mind looking to see if I did?”

Sophie looked like she really didn’t want to and was about to refuse.

“Please?”

“Oh , all right. You should be so glad I’m such a great friend.”

“I am, trust me,” she said as Sophie left.

Their dormitory was more of a suite, a small sitting room with mirrors and vanities on one side and a couple of comfy couches over by the window. There were two doors leading off of the main room. One was to the small room that Lavender and Parvati shared. The other was the room that Sophie and Andrea shared with Hermione.

The door was slightly afar, and Hermione was already in their room. It seemed that she had just finished unpacking her trunk. Andrea set to accomplish the same task.

“I couldn’t help overhearing, and I hope you don’t mind me asking what happened, but i didn’t know that you and neal weren’t a couple anymore. I thought things had been steadily going better and better between the two of you ever since you went to the Yule Ball together last Christmas.”

“No, I don’t mind. They were. I don’t really really know where to start though. How much do you know?” Andrea asked Hermione. Though Sophie had that grudge about Hermione always being the best, they were still pretty close friends, seeing as they did share a room, and the same love-yet-hate feelings toward Lavender and Parvati.

“Not much to be honest. I was spending so much time last year helping out Harry with the Tri-Wizard Tournament.”

“That’s right. Well, I’d had a pretty big crush on him, seeing as you know, he’s Neal Thatcher.”

“Oh, I completely understand,” Hermione smiled. Neal Thatcher was about as handsome and popular as Cedric Diggory was, with just as many girls in his fan club.

“I was totally in shock when he asked me to the Yule Ball. We went and we had a spectacular time. I’d been really really nervous, but he was such a gentleman and it was really easy for us to talk. From then on we started to spend afternoons together studying, playing chess or whatever else. We went to Hogsmeade a couple of times. It was all going pretty smoothly, and we both knew that we had growing feelings for each other. Then along about the beginning of May, we were out one evening after dinner before we had to be back in the castle, and things were going really well, and he, well, he kissed me.”

“Really?” Hermione asked, excitedly.

“Yes,” Andrea smiled, then gave a heavy sigh. “That’s where things went downhill. He had exams coming up, so he had to throw himself into endless studying, which is natural, and I completely understand. But he wouldn’t even sit by me or speak to me during meals. He just completely started to avoid and ignore me. I didn’t know why either. He wasn’t even going after other girls, which i’m thankful for because that would have made it much worse, but it still hurt. Exams came and went, and he still didn’t speak to me. I finally cornered him, asked him what the hell he’d been thinking, and he just shrugged, and I told him it was over between us.”

“Oh,” was all Hermione could think of to say.

“I don’t know. Maybe I handled it the wrong way, but I didn’t know what else to do.”

“No, I think you had every right to be completely upset, and you shouldn’t waste your time on someone who is going to ignore you like that.”

“Thanks Hermione.”

“It’s the truth. He really should have been smarter about the whole thing.”

“You’re right. At least he apologized to me, and I know he really meant it. I feel bad telling him that there’s no hope for us to be together, but it’s hard. I don’t know if I can even be friends with him, but I hope that I can, because he is a nice person and we enjoy each other’s company. I guess we’ll just see.”

“I think it’s really great of you to want to be friends, a lot of girls wouldn’t be able to do that. I’m also very glad that you aren’t the kind of girl to just fall back into his arms,” they both laughed, knowing full well that that is the kind of thing that Lavender or Parvati would do without a second thought.

“Andrea, is Sophie okay with, well, you know. . . ?” she trailed off.

Andrea turned to face Hermione, knowing this was about the Prefect issue. “She will be. Just give her time. I think that she’ll soon be having her hands full with other things,” she smiled mischievously. “I sent her to look for my wand for a reason.” She held up her wand to show that there was no reason for Sophie to be down there looking for it. “Edward Abercrombie and I are busy with a little something we like to call Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance.”

The two girls giggled.

“Which reminds me, what of you and Viktor Krum?”

“Well, we still write, and he invited me to come visit him this summer,” Hermione answered, blushing.

“And did you go?”

“No,” she said simply.

“Ah, then what of you and Mr. Ronald Weasley?”

“Oh really! What are you talking about?”

“Come on Hermione, the chemistry between the two of you has been growing steadily more palpable since at least the third year. . . .”

Beaters and Umbridge by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: enough said. You may also have a slight flash of elements from the oc, not only in this chapter, but in many chapters. I can't help it, it's maybe even more addictive than Harry Potter... All right you muggles, open your books up to 222 to begin with, we'll be moving through quite a lot today.

~*~*~

Sophie and Roderick had indeed met in the common room the night before, looking for Andrea’s wand and Edward’s shoes respectively. They made plans to go to breakfast together. Andrea and Edward gave them their space, using the time to meet for breakfast themselves and continue working on plans for Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance. As they sat down at the long table, carefully on the opposite end from the hopeful couple so that they could watch them all they wanted, they celebrated a successful completion of phase one.

“Here’s to you,” Edward raised his glass in a toast to Andrea.

“Back at you, Ed,” Andrea gave him the same honor. “Now, phase two. I’m predicting that we won’t have to step in much for phase two to happen. It’s phase three and beyond that I’m worried about.”

“Don’t I hear you! Roderick is completely gutless when it comes to pursuing the ladies,” Edward admitted.

“Yeah, Sophie is almost completely devoid of experience in the subject of romance. We have our work cut out for us.”

“We’re naturals. Just look at them,” he tilted his head toward Sophie and Roderick. “We should maybe think of opening a little business. There are plenty of people in this very room right now that I’m sure would love to be set up into neat little couples.”

“How would you put a price on that kind of thing?” Ed merely shrugged. “Well,” Andrea guessed, “It’s more of a priceless thing, so we could easily gouge the price as high as we wanted. Then there’s the supply and demand aspect to take into account.”

“Definitely. So many people would be lined up that we’d have complete control of the price.”

Someone cleared a throat behind the two of them. They both turned around only to be face to face with Professor McGonagall. “I may point out before you begin such an ambitious and ridiculous business that you, Miss Benning, will have you hands full with preparations for your O.W.L. examinations, and you, Mr. Abercrombie, start your N.E.W.T. level classes this year. Don’t think it’ll be a step back in the progress that you made in lessons last year.”

“Yes, Professor,” the two said together.

“Now here are your schedules. Mind to study hard, I hate to see such potential be left idly by the wayside.” She handed them their respective schedules and moved on down the table.

“Let’s see, I’ve got Arithmancy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts and History of Magic with an emphasis in Goblin Relations. Not too bad; except for there’s Arithmancy every day, and History of Magic is never good.”

“I think that if they found someone other than Binns to teach the subject that it would be not merely bearable, but interesting as well,” Andrea observed. “What career path did you choose again? I forgot.”

“Banking and being a curse cracker for Gringotts.”

“Of course I remember now you’ve told me.”

“What about your schedule?” he asked between mouthfuls of porridge.

“Death warmed over for Monday. Listen to this,” she said, buttering some toast, “History of Magic, double Potions, with the Slytherins mind you, Arithmancy, and then double Defense Against the Dark Arts. Arithmancy is complicated, but not terrible. I just wish I didn’t already have a bad feeling about that Umbridge. Something is not right about her, Ed, but I don’t know what it is.”

“I hear you, I can’t believe Dumbledore hired someone like that. Good luck to both of us.” They continued to eat their breakfast in silence after that. People started to file out of the Great Hall in groups heading to their first lessons of the day. “Oh, have to go, there’s Katie. Pleasure dining and conspiring with you.”

“Bye Ed.” Andrea quickly finished her eggs and then gathered up her school bag. She looked for someone she knew, but the only Gryffindors left, it seemed, were the first and second years. Andrea gave up looking for someone to walk with and just left the Great Hall by herself. She went up the staircase in the Entrance Hall, trodding her way to Binns’ classroom in the far east wing of the castle.

Turning a corner, she charged right into, and was knocked over backwards by a couple of people. “Sorry,” they both said. Then, “Andrea?” two hands extended forward to help her up. It was the Trouble Twins themselves, Fred and George Weasley.

“Thanks.” She took their hands and they hoisted her back to her feet.

“Are you all right?” George asked.

“Fine, I believe.”

“No doubt of that,” Fred muttered, so only George could hear.

“What?” she asked.

“Where are you off to?” George asked quickly.

“Binns. History of Magic.”

“Fred and I will walk you. Can I take your books?” George offered.

“Thank you, that’s really sweet of you,” she said as she handed over her books.

Fred gave his twin a queer look. “We’ve got Transfiguration though.”

“Well, that’s clear on the other side of the castle,” Andrea observed and Fred nodded.

“It’s the least we can do,” George said pointedly to his twin.

“Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to be any trouble.”

“We insist. Fred and I don’t mind in the least.”

Fred rolled his eyes, unbeknownst to the other two, and then stepped in line with them as they made their way down the corridor.

There was silence between them all for a moment. “Er, how was your summer Andrea?” George asked.

“It was nice actually. Played a lot of Quidditch; Aidan Lynch broke his arm at our house last week, but Mum patched it up good as new. She’s skilled in the area of medicine, seeing as how there are so many injuries at our house from the Quidditch games.”

“Lynch? Really?” Fred asked, now interested in the exchange.

“Yes. He really is quite the clumsy chap.”

They laughed. “You were at the World Cup last year, right?” George asked.

“Don’t even talk to me about the World Cup,” she quipped.

“Er, why not?” George asked tentatively.

“I wasn’t there,” she grumbled.

“Really? Why?” Fred inquired. “Isn’t your dad the Head of the British and Irish League?”

“Well, the Cup was in the middle of the summer holidays right?” The twins nodded. “Well, we had a whole bunch of players at our house almost nonstop leading up to the Cup. Mum said that if Roderick and I didn’t have all of our summer homework completed by the time we were supposed to leave for the Cup, that we wouldn’t be able to go. But as I mentioned before, there were a lot of Quidditch-playing visitors, and so we played a lot of Quidditch; we didn’t think Mum was really all that serious. The night before, Mum asked if we were finished. We said almost. Almost is a relative term; for us, it meant we’d almost finished procrastinating the work. We worked all night, and we did almost finish our work. Probably would have if we hadn’t grown so tired in the wee hours of the morning, we were both working along rather sluggishly then. Mum ruled with the iron fist, though she’s usually the lenient one. It killed Dad that we couldn’t go. To make matters worse, they made us stay with our muggle neighbors, so we couldn’t use any sort of magic for the five days they were gone.”

“Awful bad luck,” Fred said in awe.

“Indescribable bad luck,” George agreed.

“I know, like I said, the Cup was in the middle of the holidays. We would’ve had plenty of time to finish it. Needless to say we didn’t speak to Mum for weeks.”

“Wow, that’s a bit harsh don’t you think?” Fred asked.

“It was the World Cup!”

“True. Never mind then.”

“Besides, I was a year younger in my maturity. But the silent treatment wasn’t without its payoffs.”

“How so?” George asked.

“Mum asked Connolly and Lynch if she could have their Firebolts to give us as belated birthday presents.”

“No,” Fred started.

“Way,” George finished.

“Oh, you haven’t lived until you’ve ridden on a Firebolt. Absolutely nothing is better. Not one thing.,” she sighed. “Sorry,” she laughed nervously, “I guess I’ve got a bit carried away with myself.” She bit her lip.

Fred turned his head to look at George, and whereas usually they would’ve shared a look, Fred was surprised, because George was looking intently at Andrea, smiling, and said, “Rubbish. I don’t want to hear Fred talk anyway, he’s got nothing new to say.”

“Thanks you two for walking me. It was nice to have the company,” she said, turning to face them as they reached the door to the classroom.

George handed Andrea her books. “It was a pleasure really. Think nothing of it.”

“Well, I’ll see you around,” she smiled and went into the classroom.

As they turned and started running down the corridor towards Transfiguration, knowing McGonagall was not going to be one bit pleased with their tardiness. Fred didn’t let this fact go unnoticed by his twin.

“Since when have you ever cared whether or not we were on time to our lessons?” George asked. “When have you ever cared whether or not we even made it to our lessons at all?”

“I’ve never cared, and I don’t now, I’m just wondering if I missed something back there between you two.”

“Between me and Andrea? You’re full of dung bombs. Honestly, George Weasley and Andrea Benning, does that even seem like a possibility to you?”

“You’re right, I was mistaken. A girl would have to be lacking a brain to go out with you.”

“Ha ha brother. It’s the same in your case as well.”

~*~*~

“Now, I know this is kind of a silly question, because you never pay attention in History of Magic, but was it possible that you were paying even less attention than normal?” Sophie asked Andrea as they walked to Potions.

Andrea shrugged, smiling, “Perhaps.”

Sophie gasped. “Did something happen?”

“I’ll tell you when we can have a bit more privacy in Potions, er, not Potions. Arithmancy then. There’s no telling who could be listening now.”

~*~*~

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me in Binns’ class or during Potions! How could you possibly wait?” Sophie was raging as they sat made their way from Arithmancy to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

“Sophie, could you keep it down? It doesn’t necessarily mean anything. At least we’re friends though, and honestly, I’m fine with that. I’m not really to keen to get caught up in any romance after, you know, everything with Neal.”

Sophie gave her an understanding smile and looked like she was about to say something else, but didn’t because that moment brought them to Umbridge’s classroom, and no one knew how strict or lenient she was yet. Sophie and Andrea took seats on either side of Seamus and Dean. They watched Umbridge with apprehension

“Well, good afternoon!” she said when finally the whole class had sat down.

A few people mumbled “Good afternoon,” in reply.

“Tut, tut,” said Professor Umbridge. “That won’t do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply ‘Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge.’ One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!”

“Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge,” they chanted back at her.

“There, now,” said Professor Umbridge sweetly. “That wasn’t too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please.”

Andrea exchanged a dark look with Dean. This was definitely not a good sign. The last time they’d begun a year of Defense Against the Dark Arts with a quill in hand, they’d been taking a quiz from Lockhart, about Lockhart. Andrea was slow to take out her quill, ink, and parchment. She looked at the blackboard after hearing Umbridge rap on it with her wand.

Defense Against the Dark Arts A Return to Basic Principles

“Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn’t it?” stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. “The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L. year.

“You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified.” Andrea gave a groan and sunk a bit lower in her seat. “We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please.”

She rapped the blackboard again; the first message vanished and was replaced by:

Course aims: 1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic. 2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used. 3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

([Please turn your books now to pages 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 and 246. Read these pages, because I don’t want to quote the whole thing here. I’ll cut to the end of what I want though...])

”Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear,” said Professor Umbridge, holding out the note to him.

He took it from her without saying a word, turned on his heel, and left the room, not even looking back at Ron and Hermione, and slamming the classroom door shut behind him.

“Tsk, tsk, I do hope Mr. Potter learns to control that temper before too long. It will do him no good. Now, back to your reading class.”

Many of the class hurriedly put their noses to their books. Andrea lowered her head, but didn’t read. She sat drumming her fingers on her desk top, fuming. She hadn’t said anything, but she was positively shaking with anger at Umbridge’s incredulity. After five minutes, she couldn’t stand it any longer.

She stood, slamming her book closed. Umbridge, as well as the rest of class, looked at her in surprise.

“Is something wrong dear?” Professor Umbridge asked sweetly.

“Yes,” she growled.

“Please tell me what is wrong.”

“You are!” Andrea barked.

“I doubt that dear,” she smiled.

“I believe every word Potter says is true, and so do you or you wouldn’t be stamping out everything he says and trying to discredit him!”

“Miss- what was your name?”

“Andrea Benning. The stupidest thing you can do at a time like this is to impose mere theory on us. If only for the sake of our practical examinations you should teach us everything you can, including the actual procedures!”

“Thank you for you opinions, Miss Benning, you are entitled to them even if they are severely misguided. However, due to the disturbing manner in which you shared them, distracting your fellow students, and speaking without being called upon, I must take another ten points from Gryffindor.”

“It’s worth it.”

“I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself unless you want to find yourself in detention with Mr. Potter. Now, if you will, please, continue with your reading.”

Andrea sat down again, but she didn’t open her book. She merely folded her arms and looked moodily out the window. After about ten more minutes, Professor Umbridge spoke again.

“Miss Benning, is there something of extreme significance taking place outside the window?”

“No.”

“Then why are you not reading dear?”

“I don’t feel well. Stomachache.”

“Well, then collect your things dear, you should have told me sooner. I will give you a note to take with you to go down to the hospital wing. I dare say Madam Pomfrey will have you in tiptop shape in no time. It’s no wonder you were so irritated before.”

Andrea didn’t protest, but quickly gathered up her bag and her book and went to the front of the room to get the note from Umbridge. “If you ever feel a need to talk about anything, I’m here for you dear, just come to my office. I’m always willing to listen.” She whispered sweetly so only Andrea could hear.

“You are the last person I would think of actually talking to about anything, you old hag,” Andrea mumbled under her breath as she left the classroom.

Advice and Boggarts by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: Come on, do I really need to tell you that I don't seriously own any of the HP universe? Now, on to page 270

Andrea had been buried by books in the library trying to keep up with all of the homework the teachers were piling onto the fifth years’ plates. It didn’t help Andrea’s concentration any that she was thinking about Neal Thatcher, George Weasley and Harry Potter.

Harry’s detentions had already made his first week back at Hogwarts pretty miserable. Potions on Thursday didn’t help either. It seemed that Snape only had to glance for a moment at the essay he’d assigned Harry to decipher that it wasn’t very good.

After he’d collected all of the assignments, he stood at the front of the class, seemingly scrutinizing the Gryffindors and admiring the Slytherins in the same look. Settling immediately into silence, the class awaited today's instructions. “Today,” he said in a cool voice, “We’ll attempt something terribly easier than the Draught of Peace, since some of you were so dismally able to scrape that out during our previous lesson. The Draught of Mediation is a potion in the same family as the Draught of Peace, and hopefully some of you will take advantage of that and learn what you’ll need to know for the latter. Ingredients found in the usual place. Instructions,” he waved his wand slightly, “on the board. Also, you will find I’ve paired you up. There is enough time during this lesson for you to brew two batches of the potion. One person will watch while the other prepares the potion, then you will switch. This, with any luck, will prevent any mishaps,” he concluded, looking directly at Harry. Draco laughed quietly.

Snape sat behind his desk and the class began to go about their assignment. Harry looked up at the board and saw that he was paired with Andrea Benning, one of his fellow Gryffindors. He’d never really talked to her. He seemed to recall that they’d worked together on charms once in Flitwick’s class during their first year. Hermione mentioned her from time to time, and he saw her around here and there.

They worked for the first while in near silence. Andrea was preparing her potion while Harry watched. Harry noted that her skills were adequate. He actually had the distinct impression that the reason she wasn’t any better was because she simply didn’t care that much. She finally spoke to him when she was in the final portion of stirring and monitoring the potion as it brewed in her cauldron.

“Harry, I know it’s not really my business, but I think you really ought to learn to control your temper. You seem to lose Gryffindor a lot of points every year, and since you and Umbridge are already off to a rocky start-”

“Thanks for your concern,” Harry cut her off testily. He really didn’t want to hear it from this girl. She probably felt just like Seamus did about him, that he was making up the whole lot of it. Maybe she’d even had a secret crush on Cedric and held a grudge against him for what happened.

Soon she was finished and it was his turn to take a go at the Draught of Mediation. He began cutting the first ingredient and was about to dump it into his cauldron.

“Hold it,” she said. “That doesn’t go in until after the clover powder. You never put lavender in before clover powder.”

“Oh, er, thanks.”

He continued to to prepare the rest of his ingredients, putting them in the cauldron, meanwhile, Andrea monitored him closely, drumming her fingers on the table lazily. The drumming was starting to really get to Harry, but Andrea seemed not to notice in the slightest.

“You might want to chop that carrot root a little more finely,” she said. This was her fifth correction, and it finally sent him over the edge.

“You know what, if you’re so good why don’t you make it,” he seethed.

“I already did my own batch thanks. You really ought to concentrate a little more, you’re just making careless mistakes.”

“While we’re on the topic, is there anything else you’d like to give me advice on?” Harry said vehemently, his voice rising.

“You might lower your voice, Snape’s getting a little curious.”

“Whatever you say.”

“You know what Potter,” Andrea looked him directly in the eyes, “I’m just trying to help you out.”

“Thanks, but I don’t think I need any help from you,” he said, dumping the final ingredients into his cauldron.

“Oh, I forgot, you’re the high and mighty Harry Potter who thinks Dumbledore will bail him out of anything. Sometimes even you ought to respect those around you. You don’t listen to anyone.”

“That’s rich coming from you. We’ve talked, what, once? Who do you think you are?”

“I’m one of your classmates and what you do affects me too. Like when you get us extra homework in Potions because of your comments or mistakes.”

“If you weren’t a girl, I’d say let’s have a go, but I’d actually feel bad if I hit a girl, though if you don’t shove off it, I don't’ know if I’ll be able to control my temper,” he said mockingly.

Just then two things happened: Harry realized that he had been ignoring his potion because it started congealing and boiling up dangerously close to the rim; but as Harry tried to remedy the situation, he was knocked backwards as Andrea’s fist collided powerfully with his jaw. As he was knocked back with the momentum of her punch, Harry’s leg knocked over his cauldron. Everyone around them jumped back. Snape descended upon the whole situation in the next instant.

“Potter, Benning, this behavior is unacceptable at Hogwarts, and even more unacceptable in my classroom. Potter, you will clean this up, I can tell from the stench it is giving off that you didn’t tend closely enough to its brewing. Benning, go immediately to the headmaster’s office and explain yourself. The two of you will also report to me for detention on Saturday night.”

~*~*~

After marching angrily all the way to the Headmaster’s office, she found herself at a loss as for what to do and stood for a quarter of an hour waiting for some sort of indication. She thought the gargoyle actually let out a sigh after a while, but she couldn’t be sure. She’d only been here once before, and that was during the first week of her first year at Hogwarts. She suspected there was some sort of password, but she had no idea where to even begin guessing.

Giving up, deciding that she would just wait for either someone to come out or go in, she went to the other side of the hallway and sat on the wide window sill. A short while later, the gargoyle moved aside, making way for some people who were coming out. She stood and straightened her robes. The two people came out laughing, were none other than Fred and George Weasley.

They both stopped laughing when they saw Andrea Benning standing there in front of them, but they were still smiling brightly. “Good morning you two,” she was the first to speak.

“Good morning,” George said.

“Lovely day to visit the Headmaster, no?” Fred commented casually.

“Yes, what are you two doing here?”

“Just catching up with Dumbledore, giving him the heads up on a few of our plans, planting some of them in his very own office,” Fred answered. “But we really should be asking you the same question. We’re here all the time, but I would never pin you to be one to be sent here, because that is the only reason you would be here right now, it’s the middle of class time.”

“I really don’t to talk about it. It makes me pretty mad,” she gave a forced smile at this statement.

“Well, I suppose we’ll let it slide, because you’ll have to tell Dumbledore anyway. Come George, we ought to go to class. Good day to you Miss Benning,” Fred gave a slight bow.

She chuckled and then curtsied, “Mr. and Mr. Weasley.”

George gave a bow, “By the way, the password is ‘peacock peppermints.’”

“You know the password?”

“His office is our office,” they said in unison as they disappeared around the corner. She laughed, gave the password and then went up the continuously moving spiral staircase. The door at the top was ajar, and so she went in, walked across the room and slumped into one of the chairs by the desk. She crossed her legs and folded her arms. She loved Dumbledore, and on any other occasion would have found it a pleasure to be able to explore his office, but right now, she definitely was not happy about being here.

A moment later Dumbledore entered the room from a door behind his desk. “Miss Benning, it’s lovely to see you. However, you don't seemed so pleased to be here. Would you mind telling me who sent you?”

“Professor Snape.”

“And for what reason.”

“He wanted to.”

“Really?” Dumbledore chuckled. “And what triggered this irresistible desire to send you to my office during his class; Professor Snape usually tries not to waste any student’s time when they could be learning the art of potions.”

“I punched Harry Potter.”

“That’s very interesting.” He paused, looking across the room. “Now aren’t those a curious invention?” he pointed to something over her shoulder, on the far side of the room, and she turned to look. “I only wish I’d invented them myself. Extendable Ears really are quite an asset.” With a pop, they disappeared. “Now that we have momentarily satisfied the curiosity of the Weasley twins, will you please follow me?” He stood and motioned for her to come with him out onto the landing on the top of the stairs. He tapped his wand on one of the stones in the wall, and a door opened up before them.

They went down a long passageway that turned a couple of times, went down a flight of stairs, then another, and then another. They then came to the base of a staircase much like the one that moved in front of Dumbledore’s office, except that this one descended in a straight path. At the bottom Andrea found they were behind a tapestry. Dumbledore pushed it aside, and held it open while Andrea came out. He then walked toward a painting of a large cornucopia of fruit and tickled the pear there. When it opened and they stepped inside Andrea was surprised to see that they were actually in the kitchens, house elves bustling around them, finishing the preparations for the day’s lunch.

“Popnick,” Dumbledore called. A second later an extremely small and stocky house elf, with a lavender face punctuated by a pointy, violet nose, rushed up to the two of them.

“Yes Headmaster?”

“Where is that problem I was alerted about?”

“Right this way sir, right this way. Would you like anything, Headmaster sir? Or young mistress?”

“Perhaps after,” Dumbledore smiled. They followed Popnick down past a fair row of sinks, counters and tables all surrounded by busy elves. At one point they passed an elf that all the others seemed to be avoiding. She was surrounded by bottles of butterbeer, swigging down more as they passed, and hiccuping between gulps. They came to a broom closet that the elves were also avoiding, and for good reason, because there was something pounding against it repeatedly. “Am I right in remembering that you learned how to properly dispose of boggarts in your third year from Professor Lupin?” Dumbledore asked, motioning towards the door.

Andrea nodded.

Dumbledore stepped aside to give her some room. “Wand at the ready.” They each pulled out their wands, and then Dumbledore pointed his at the door. “Alohomora.”

The door slowly creaked open. For a moment, there was a dark, shadowy figure floating out of it, and the room turned suddenly very cold, but then it changed from a floating figure to a standing figure, still cloaked in black robes. The next moment it changed yet again to a green skull with a snake protruding from it’s mouth, and finally it made one last shift. It was no longer a Dementor, a Death Eater or the Dark Mark. Standing in front of Andrea was Harry Potter, or the boggart version of him.

She took a step backwards, biting her lip anxiously, but the boggart Harry didn’t move much, just scratched his head and then looked at his watch. He gave Andrea a curious look and then Dumbledore stepped forward, the boggart Harry disappeared, but Andrea didn’t see what Dumbledore’s boggart was, for it was too small for her to see as Dumbledore blocked her line of vision. She heard him say, “Riddikulus.” Then there was a loud pop, Dumbledore gave a bright chuckle, as did a few of the house elves who were watching and then the boggart was gone.

Dumbledore crossed the kitchen and sat at one of the tables. “Popnick, I think we’ll take a little refreshment now, if you’d be so kind.”

“Oh, yes, just one moment Headmaster sir, I’ll be back promptly.”

Andrea sat across from the headmaster and waited for him to speak but he waited until Popnick had come back a moment later with a few small coffee cakes and some milk. As they tucked in, Dumbledore finally spoke. “Andrea, I wish you to know that I think it quite interesting that you fear Harry more than you fear the evil things threatening the magical community, and the non-magical community as well. Are you really afraid of Harry?”

“It’s not Harry himself just so much as all the things that happen to him. It’s hard to stand by and not be able to do anything about it. For four years I’ve watched and not been able to help or even lend a listening ear. I suppose it would be different if we were actually friends, but we’re not. He’s never really needed me because he has Ron and Hermione, and he’s really close to the whole Weasley family.”

“One can never have too many friends or family,” Dumbledore said. “Just keep trying. The time will come, sooner probably than either of us would hope, when Harry will need everyone around him he can find.”

“It’s just hard. I know what he’s feeling, but I can’t really talk to him about it. For example, this whole week, I’ve been having this sickening feeling in my stomach when I know Potter’s in detention with that Umbridge woman. Something is really wrong. It’s just so awkward since he doesn’t know about any of the mess. I mean, what am I supposed to say? ‘Oy, Harry, I’m feeling sympathy pain and emotions for you?’”

“It won’t remain so forever. I just urge you to form some sort of relationship with him because it will make it easier when the time comes.”

“I guess today has helped loads,” Andrea groaned. Dumbledore laughed. They spoke over their snacks for a few minutes and when they were finished they stood and left the kitchens.

They faced each other to say goodbye, and then Andrea gave him a queer look, and then looked at his robes. They were changing color from a deep blue to a light pink. Dumbledore looked at his robes as well. Then he laughed, explaining, “It must be the Weasley boys. George took a hold of my forearm when he shook my hand this morning. Brilliant, those two.” They both laughed, then Dumbledore disappeared behind the tapestry again and Andrea made her way to the Great Hall to meet up with Sophie, Dean and Seamus for lunch. Lucky for her she had Umbridge and Defense Against Boredom after lunch to look forward to.

She saw that Sophie was sitting between Dean and Seamus at the far end of the Gryffindor table, near the staff table, and they were thoroughly engrossed in some sort of discussion. She walked down the length of the table, she noticed out of the corner of her eye that a few people were whispering and pointing in her direction as she passed, but she just tried to ignore it.

“Hey,” she said as she sat down across from Sophie.

“What did Dumbledore say?” Dean asked.

“Just what I needed to hear, of course,” she answered.

“Great man Dumbledore. He’s really wise.”

Sophie and Andrea both nodded in agreement; Seamus didn’t make any indication in favor for or against his friend’s comment. He was still thinking about where he stood.

Andrea pulled a ham sandwich off of a tray in front of her and began to dress it with the toppings and condiments she liked the best while the three across from her lapsed back into their previous conversation. Andrea took the time to rethink what Dumbledore had told her.

She was so oblivious to her surroundings that she gave a shout of surprise and nearly dropped her knife as two people jumped onto the bench on either side of her.

“So,” said Fred Weasley, on her left.

“Tell us,” George continued on her right, “Did you really -”

“Actually hit Harry Potter?” Fred finished.

“Yes,” she nodded, her jaw clenched.

“What made you do it?” George asked.

“He just, he’s so-” she started vehemently, then paused and took a deep breath and then continued. She didn’t have to look to know that the twins each had huge grins on their faces. “We were having a bit of an argument. He made me rather angry. So I just,” she didn’t finish, but merely shrugged. The two of them laughed.

“He’s our friend,” Fred said.

“But we totally admire you for punching him,” George finished. Then they stood and left, it was about time to get going to afternoon lessons. Across the table, Sophie raised her eyebrows, smiling in that way that friends do when you’ve just spoken to your crush. Andrea rolled her eyes and ate her sandwich, occasionally adding to the conversation.

Completely Mental, That One by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: Why don’t you ask yourself whether or not you think I own Harry Potter, I think you’ll be able to come up with the correct answer… And the homage paid to Disney’s Beauty and the Beast…I simply couldn’t resist mate… And as much as I didn’t want Malfoy to have a Seth Cohen quote come out of his mouth, it just fit so well that I couldn’t help it coming out of my fingers onto the screen…

As before, italicized portions are direct quotes from Order of the Phoenix being used in the story.

Andrea stepped through the portrait hole on Friday afternoon by herself. She was glad that the first week of lessons was finally over. She flopped into one of the comfy armchairs by a window out of Gryffindor Tower. A tiny, sparkling blue pixie flitted over to where Andrea was sitting and landed on her knee. “Hello Flet,” Andrea said affectionately to the happy creature.

Flet was a loyal, sweet natured, though a bit dimwitted fairy who’d followed Andrea home from the woods near her home a couple of summers ago, and Andrea took her around everywhere with her since then. Flet was only about as tall as Andrea’s pointer finger was long, but she was good for a laugh and could lend a listening ear when Andrea felt like just talking without having to respond or listen, just to clear her head.

Looking out the window she could see a few people making their way to the Quidditch pitch and remembered that it must be for tryouts for the house team. With Oliver Wood gone Gryffindor needed a new Keeper. She looked up when someone dropped into the chair next to her. It was Edward, but her brother was nowhere to be seen. This was a rarity as they were nearly inseparable while at Hogwarts.

“Where’s Roderick?”

“Don’t know, we were walking back here from Charms and then the next moment he was gone.”

“That’s very interesting; same story between Sophie and I on the way back from Arithmancy.”

“Young love. . . What say we go out and watch the house team tryouts?”

“I’m down. Just let me grab a cloak.”

After they fetched their cloaks, they left the common room, Flet zooming along with them, went into the Great Hall to grab something to take with them, and then left the castle, walking across the grounds. It was just a bit windy and crisp so they were glad for their cloaks. Passing the lake, they heard the footfalls of someone running behind them. A moment later the person was right next to them.

It was Neal Thatcher. “Hello Andrea, Edward. Mind if I join you? I guess you’re going to the pitch, right?” He smiled.

Edward didn’t answer, but waited to let Andrea, giving her a look that said it was up to her. She didn’t even really think about it, but simply nodded and smiled back at Neal. Even taking into consideration all that had happened between them, she did enjoy his friendship and wanted to reforge it.

When they got to the Quidditch pitch, they made their way up into the stands. Angelina Johnson was just finishing up giving instructions to the team and the prospective new members, letting them know just how it was going to work and what she expected out of the new Keeper. There were a few other small groups of their fellow Gryffindors scattered around the stands, watching and supporting their friends. There was also a group that looked horribly like the Slytherin Quidditch team, except that there were only six people, not -

“Hello Andrea,” came a somewhat familiar drawl behind them. Neal and Edward both turned their heads to see who it was, Andrea was a little slower about it. Her stomach plummeted when she saw that it was indeed who she dreaded: Draco Malfoy.

“Hello,” she said, and all three of the Gryffindors turned back around. Andrea was now wishing that Edward had been sitting next to her instead of on the row right in front of her and Neal because Draco Malfoy took the opportunity to sit on the bench next to her.

“Shame Potter couldn’t be here with the rest of his team. Bet he’s still recovering from that punch you dealt him. My compliments,” Draco laughed.

“He got detention from Umbridge. It had nothing to do with me,” Andrea corrected.

“Ah, well, no matter. Listen, I’ve got to catch up with the rest of my team, but we’ll chat later.”

Andrea didn’t say anything as he left, and once he was well out of earshot she groaned audibly. Neal and Edward tried not to laugh too loudly. “Please you two, you’re only making it worse.”

“What, it’s not our fault that you hit Potter and caught Malfoy’s attention by doing it. Guess you should have thought of the repercussions before you hit him next time,” Ed grinned.

“Hey, I only hit him once. It’s not like I’m going to make a habit of it,” Andrea protested.

“I think we’ll have to keep our wits about us to make sure we don’t anger Benning too much, Neal, I hear she can deal a mean shiner,” Edward said in a loud whisper to Neal and they both laughed.

“Angelina’s the new Quidditch team captain this year,” Andrea stated. “This is me ignoring you by the way.”

“Oh, who is that out there trying to keep? He’s horrid,” Neal exclaimed as they watched Katie Bell score no less than seven times against him.

The next person was rather good. “Do either of you know who that is?” Andrea asked.

“I think it might be Vicky Frobisher,” Edward guessed.

They watched another person, not quite as good as Vicky, but almost. “That looks like Geoffrey Hooper,” Neal said. He only missed one goal.

One of the last people to have a go at keeping the rings had flaming red hair. They needn’t inform each other that it was Ronald Weasley. He was just about as good as Frobisher and Hooper, though not quite. He looked like he was only missing out of nerves, and actually did put out a few clever saves, though he missed a few as well.

After everyone had taken their chance at keeping, the hopefuls stood around the bases of the various rings while the team went into the locker room to discuss who should be chosen. Ten minutes later, everyone was gathered around the doors to the locker room, waiting for the announcement. Angelina led the team out, and everyone immediately grew silent.

“You all did a good job tonight out there, and so we want to congratulate you all and thank you for coming out tonight. After much deliberation, we’ve made our decision.” She paused, and the anticipation was almost palpable. She smiled as she announced, “The new Gryffindor Keeper is Ron Weasley!”

There were cheers, some sighs of defeat and groans of frustration, and then the terrible laughter of the Slytherins. They were the first to leave the pitch and head back toward the castle. Edward maneuvered his way over to Katie Bell and they soon left as well with some of the other sixth years. Andrea left, growing curious to see if Sophie and Roderick were back at the Gryffindor common room yet or not. She cast one last look over to the team, looking to see if George was still there, and he was. She left the pitch, in a rather good mood though she was by herself, with only Flet for company, but she liked it that way sometimes. But it all changed as she rounded the corner of the stands.

Draco Malfoy was standing there alone. He smiled when he saw it was her. “Can I walk you back to the castle?”

“I’m perfectly capable of walking myself thanks,” she stated flatly.

“Excellent, then you can walk me,” he replied, and slipped an arm around her shoulders. “Can’t you just imagine our children, years from now? They’ll be out there trying out for the house team, totally outshining everyone else on the field. . .” he trailed off.

“Excuse me,” Andrea shook his arm off of her and started to walk faster, Draco matching her strides. “When you say ‘our children’ do you mean that you will have children and I will have children, or do you mean offspring of you and me together?”

“The latter, of course,” he smiled lazily, winking at her.

Andrea came to an abrupt halt. “You are completely insane! The chance of you and I having children is one in a billion, and you want to know why? It’s because my feelings towards you are almost that of loathing!!!”

“I’ll take those odds; I like a good challenge,” he smiled wider at her look of disgust. “Besides, we already have one thing in common: our mutual dislike for Potter.”

“You are very mistaken. I respect Harry quite a lot.”

“Enough to punch him?” he laughed.

“I’m going to punch you if you don’t leave me alone right now!” she yelled at him.

“I’ve got to get back to the other Slytherins anyway. We’ll speak again soon.”

“I hope not,” she mumbled. After he’d jogged off, she started ranting to Flet, who was appropriately angry enough for the both of them. “Can you believe him? Absurd! Me? The wife of that boarish, brainless. . . Madame Malfoy, can’t you just see it? Madame Malfoy, his little wife. No sir, not me, I guarantee it.” Flet was zooming around, showing her indignation at the whole affair.

“I know,” Andrea said. “He’s completely mental, not to mention self-centered and prideful.”

She noticed that Neal running towards her from the Quidditch Pitch, so she waited for him to catch up before going back to the castle. When he reached her, he noticed something was definitely bothering her.

“What’s brewing in that head of yours?” he asked.

“Draco Malfoy just let me know that he and I are going to be having children,”

Neal tried to hold in the laughter, but he couldn’t. It burst forth like a gale of wind.

“It’s NOT funny,” Andrea stated.

He nodded vigorously and barely managed to blurt, “yes, it is,” amidst his laughing.

“I suppose it is a bit funny,” she conceded. Neal kept laughing, and she couldn’t help but join him.

~*~*~

Page 276

“Come here, Ron, and see if Oliver’s old robes fit you,” called Katie Bell. “We can take off his name and put yours on instead. . . .”

As Ron moved away, Angelina came striding up to Harry.

“Sorry I was a bit short with you earlier, Potter,” she said abruptly. “It’s stressful, this managing lark, you know, I’m starting to think I was a bit hard on Wood sometimes.” She was watching Ron over the rim of her goblet with a slight frown on her face.

“Look, I know he’s you best mate, but he’s not fabulous,” she said bluntly. “I think with a bit of training he’ll be all right, though. He comes from a family of good Quidditch players. I’m banking on him turning out to have a bit more talent than he showed today, to be honest. Vicky Frobisher and Geoffrey Hooper both flew better this evening, but Hooper’s a real whiner, he’s always moaning about something or other, and Vicky's involved in all sorts of Societies, she admitted herself that if training clashed with her Charm Club she’d put Charms first. I really wish that one of the Bennings had come out for the team, they’re some of the best flyers I’ve ever seen.”

“The Bennings?” Harry interrupted. His distaste for Andrea grew a little more at Angelina wishing she’d come out for the spot Ron had just earned.

“Yeah, those kids were raised to be Quidditch players. Didn’t you know Roderick and Andrea’s father is the Head of the British and Irish Quidditch League? He and his wife were on competing teams in the World Cup Game in 1977, knocked each other off their brooms in a mid air collision and fell in love from there. Their grandparents on their mum’s side are Rudolph Brand and Gwendolyn Morgan, you read that bit about them in ‘Quidditch Through The Ages’ didn’t you? Roderick is named for the Tornados’ seeker from the 1920s, Roderick Plumpton. They have loads of players from the League over at their house all the time. My family lives nearby them in Kent, we all grew up together. Anyway we’re having a practice session at two o’clock tomorrow, so just make sure you’re there this time. And do me a favor and help Ron as much as you can, okay?”

He nodded and Angelina strolled back to Alicia Spinnet. Harry moved over to sit next to Hermione, who awoke with a jerk as he put down his bag. Looking around the common room, he couldn’t spot either of the Bennings. He actually thought Roderick was a pretty decent chap, but Thursday’s Potions class kind of ruined his opinion of Andrea.

“Oh, Harry, it’s you. . . . Good about Ron, Isn’t it?” she said blearily. “I’m just so - so - so tired,” she yawned. “I was up until one o’clock making more hats. They’re disappearing like mad!”

And sure enough, now that he looked, Harry saw that there were woolly hats concealed all around the room where unwary elves might accidentally pick them up.

“Great,” said Harry distractedly; he wanted to tell someone his thoughts about what Angelina had just told him about wishing a Benning had come to try out, but he knew Hermione wasn’t the one to discuss it with. Besides, he had slightly more pressing matters on his mind; if he did not tell somebody soon, he would burst. “Listen, Hermione, I was just up in Umbridge’s office and she touched my arm . . .”

~*~*~

The next morning at breakfast, Harry was eating some kippers and toast with Fred and George who were pouring over notes related to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. He was not looking forward to the mountains of homework he had left to complete. He just hoped he’d be able to manage it, what with Snape’s detention later that evening.

As if on cue, someone tapped him on the shoulder, and that someone was Andrea Benning, the reason he was serving detention, though Snape would gladly take any reason to make him miserable.

“What do you want Benning?” he huffed, glaring at her.

“Woah there Potter,” she responded. “I’m just passing along Snape’s instructions. Dungeons at seven o’clock.”

“Thanks for the excellent news,” he barked.

“My pleasure,” she rolled her eyes, then turned on her heel and left. Ron and Hermione joined him, in a bit of a row about something, but Harry could’ve cared less.

“Listen, Harry,” Fred leaned forward, putting down his clipboard.

“We wanted to ask you something about Benning,” George had a smug look on his face, as did Fred.

“What?” he grunted.

“Why did she hit you? She said you made her angry, but she didn’t tell us why.”

I made her angry? That’s rich. She’s the one who laid into me about how I need to control my temper, quit losing house points, try to stop making teachers give us extra work. She’s mental that one.”

“You know, Harry,” Hermione said tentatively, “She stood up to Umbridge about you after she sent you to see McGonagall our first day.”

“Oh, really, how kind of her,” Harry said sarcastically.

“She says she believes you,” Ron added. “She said that Umbridge must know it’s true too if she’s so adamant about silencing you.”

Harry didn’t say anything for the rest of the meal. He didn’t want Andrea to be defending him, because then he couldn’t hate her with quite as much feeling as he had before.

~*~*~

Snape set them the task of cleaning out the various tanks where he kept some of the larger amounts of slimy, smelly, unrecognizable dead creatures. It was a disgusting job the he left, no doubt, for those he disliked the most. Harry knew he was at the top of that list, he had failed to notice that Andrea wasn’t too far below him on that list.

They’d been cleaning for a while when Harry decided to say something to her. “Listen, Andrea, Ron and Hermione told me what you said to Umbridge. Thanks.”

“It was nothing. I just couldn’t handle how ignorant she is being,” Harry smiled discreetly, seeing that the anger she’d shown when she hit him was slowly building again at the mention of Umbridge.

“Harry, I really owe you an apology, I was out of line to speak to you the way I did, and to hit you. So, I’m sorry.”

“Never mind it.”

They didn’t speak anymore for the rest of their detention, and they didn’t speak after either. Harry was dismissed earlier than Andrea, since she was the one who’d actually thrown the punch. Harry still didn’t like Andrea, but he could at least respect her now. It was nice to know he had an ally outside of his friends - especially since not all of them (Seamus in particular) believed him.

Complications and Meddlers by electronicquillster
Author’s Note: Do I own Harry, etc? I propose we put up the Harry Universe in a raffle. Everyone loves a good raffle… I guess you could put this bit somewhere around Page 300, but it really has no realation to any specific events in OotP.

This chapter is dedicated to Josh Groban. Josh, where ever you are, you make me melt when I hear you sing. Let’s go on a date ;)

Andrea was trying to practice the organizational charm Flitwick had begun teaching them that day in class. She’d dumped out the contents of her school bag on a table in the corner of the Gryffindor common room. The only one who’d ventured coming near her in the past hour was her fairy, Flet, who was zooming about erratically, mirroring how frustrated Andrea was at the moment. She threw her potions book at the wall in frustration.

Some second years studying a short distance away hurriedly picked up their assignments and moved to the far side of the room, worried that things would soon be flying at them in Andrea’s anger.

She hadn’t made any progress in the past hour and a half, and was at her wit's end. “Having a bit of trouble?” someone said behind her.

She turned around to see Neal standing there, a smug look on his face. She glared at him, and he tried to wipe the smirk off his face. “Charms has never been your best subject. Care for a bit of help?” he asked, not a hint of arrogance or rudeness in his voice.

“Actually, yes. I don’t think I can get any worse.”

Neal was a member of the Hogwarts Charms club and had always excelled in the subject. He sat down in the chair next to her.

“Organizational charms won’t work unless you’re in a calm and collected state of mind. You can’t very well be organized on the outside if you aren’t organized on the inside. So, take a couple of deep breaths and try to clear your head. Think of something that you’re really good at, that you can do without thinking to much about its execution.”

Andrea smiled, that was easy enough to think of, flying. She inhaled and exhaled, concentrating on flying. It did help to relax her.

“Now, you don’t want to take on too much at once.” Neal slid all but three of her things to the side, out of the way. “Just concentrate on something small at first.”

One by one, Neal added objects to the pile as Andrea got better and better. An hour later, her school bag was in perfect organization, and she closed the flap, letting out a deep sigh of relief. She and Neal smiled at each other.

“Hey, I was wondering if maybe, since you’re really good at charms, and I’m, well, dismal at times, if-”

“If I could tutor you now and then like I did last year?”

“Er, yeah. You know the tricks and just what to tell me. Flitwick’s a brilliant professor, but I just need a little more coaching than he can give me during class when there are others around he has to help.”

“Yeah, no problem. I’d just appreciate if you could proofread my essays.”

“A galleon’s a galleon,” she smiled.

“All right then. Thursdays?”

“After dinner works.”

“You up for a game of chess?”

“You know I’m terrible!” she joked. The truth is that Neal had never bested her in a game since last February, when she let him win, for his birthday. “Accio Wizard Chess,” she summoned the game set into her hands and they settled over onto the only empty spot around the fire, a couch with a table in front of it. They sat next to each other and began duking it out over the chess board. Between the help Neal gave her with charms, and the chess game, their laughter and their conversation, it seemed as if almost no time had passed since last spring. Andrea was really happy that things were going so well, because the truth was that Neal really was one of her closest friends.

One thing that was actually a benefit now over last year was that she no longer worried about romantic feelings toward him. It relieved so much pressure. Things had always been easy between them, but now it was even more so. Neal noticed as well.

“I like you like this,” he said as their respective pieces set up for another round of chess.

“Like what?”

“Just, like this, just Andrea, no reservations.”

“It’s nice for things to be normal between us,” she smiled. “Knight to E5.”

Pretty soon after that a lot of their fellow Gryffindors went off to their dormitories. Fred and George entered through the portrait hole, behind a large group of first years who had almost assuredly been playing guinea pig to the next Weasley invention. As they walked past, George seemed deep in conversation with Lee over something, but Fred winked and said, “Careful Neal, this one’s got a temper. She’s liable to hit you if you cross her.”

Andrea rolled her eyes but laughed along with Fred and Neal and a couple of people around who’d heard the comment.

By the time they finished their last round of chess, no one else was left in the room with them. Neal turned toward her on the couch. “So, I’ve been meaning to ask you something.”

“Go ahead,” she played with the fringe on one of the squishy couch pillows that she’d set on her lap.

“Have you and Malfoy set a date for the wedding yet?”

“Not funny!” she stated through her laughter as she hit him with afore mentioned pillow.

“Ow! Ow! All right, enough!” She stopped hitting him with the pillow and focused her attention on the fire, smiling. “I was only joking. He’s a great prat. You know, he might leave you alone if you weren’t so available.”

“What do you mean. It’s not like I’m walking about with a sign asking for someone to date me.”

“I know you’re not. You’ve never been like that, which is also appealing to most guys. No one wants a girl who is going to follow them about like a new puppy. Guys are just naturally drawn to girls who are independent, and you are. You’re independent and fun, and smart and beautiful.”

Andrea turned her head to look at him, wanting to thank him for the compliment, but was thoroughly surprised to find that his face was right there, and the next moment he was kissing her. She abruptly stood up, breaking the kiss.

“Neal, I can’t do this,” she said.

“Why not? I thought things were going well enough between us.”

“They are, but as friends!”

He stood as well, to face her straight on. “But I thought earlier when you said you liked that things were normal between us that maybe you meant normal as in the way they were last year.”

“No,” she said, tears of frustration beginning to well up in her eyes. “No, I mean normal as in not awkward. There is no way, and I told you that the first night back. I like you as a friend, and you mean a lot to me, but we can never have a relationship that is romantic. I just can’t do that again!”

She ran up the stairs and straight into her room, past Lavender and Parvati who were trying new charms for their hair in front of the mirror, and past Sophie and Hermione who were going over star charts on the couch. She closed the door to the room shut behind her, hopped onto her bed and pulled the curtains closed around her four-poster.

She touched her lips where Neal had just kissed her. If this had happened six months ago, she would have been elated. Now she just wanted to forget the whole thing. She’d been spending a fun evening that had been ruined by one rash moment.

She was very glad that Hermione and Sophie waited to come in, giving her time to fall asleep before they came to bed. Perhaps things would be better in the morning.

~*~*~

Things were much better the next morning. Nothing was resolved, and she still had mountains of homework, and Potions as well as Umbridge to look forward to, but with the new day, her spirits were lifted and she knew she’d be able to handle it all.

Breakfast was normal.

History of Magic was boring as usual. Sophie took notes, Seamus dozed off, and Andrea played a bit of hangman with Dean.

Potions was dreadful, but no more so than any other lesson they’d had with Snape.

Lunch brought an interesting occurrence.

Andrea was sitting at the house table next to Edward and Roderick when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She turned to see a Weasley twin, She thought it was George at first, but quickly realized it was Fred.

“Hi Fred,” she said, a bit puzzled at his serious expression, mind you it wasn’t gravely serious, just more serious than most people ever saw on a Trouble Twin's face.

“Can I speak with you privately for a moment?”

“Er, yeah, of course.” She got up and followed him out of the Great Hall and continued to follow him until they were completely out of anyone’s way.

“I wanted to talk to you about George.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Have you noticed anything different about him this year as opposed to last year?”

“Er, I don’t know. Not really I guess, I haven’t spoken to him as much this year as last. You two are always pretty busy with your business it seems, I guess that’s why we haven’t talked as much, not to mention I’m always studying. . .” she realized she was babbling. “Sorry, more information than necessary.”

Fred smiled, “Don’t sweat it. It is like you said, we’re always busy. He’s been a bit different though ever since we left school for the summer holidays though.”

“How so?”

“Well, I couldn’t really figure it out at first. It wasn’t that perceptible, but I’m his twin. I just know when something is different, and like I said, there was a bit of a change about him.”

Andrea nodded and Fred went on.

“So I thought about it for about six weeks, and I realized he must have feelings for a girl.”

“Oh,” Andrea tried to keep her appearance nonchalant and unaffected by this, though she was hoping it was her.

“And do you know who it is?”

“Well, no.”

“Well, I didn’t know either. Of course there was no way to tell who it was during the holiday because the only girl around was Hermione Granger, and I knew it wasn’t her of course; and it wasn’t like he was corresponding by owl with anyone either. So I had to wait until we came back to Hogwarts naturally.”

“Naturally,” Andrea agreed.

“So once we got back I started to observe George and his interactions with all females around us, minus our sister and Hermione. The list started to dwindle, and I whittled it down to just a few people.”

Fred paused, and Andrea merely waited for him to continue.

“Well, eventually, by the end of the first week, I had it down to two people, but in reality I already knew it was you.”

“Me?” Andrea was glad to hear it, but still was floored.

“Yes. The first night in the common room, you went and talked with Neal Thatcher privately in the corner. George, Lee and I were in the middle of a discussion, and when you walked past our table, George looked up, and he kept glancing to where you were sitting with Thatcher. Finally he just got up and stalked off to the dormitory.

“Then,” he plodded on with his evidence, “next morning, he insists that we walk you to class, remember, after we knocked you over. Completely opposite form the direction we needed to go. Nearly got us landed in detention for being late to McGonagall’s class.”

“That doesn’t mean anything,” Andrea protested. “It was the least you could do for knocking me over.”

“Fine, I can see you aren’t going to buy my evidence. Down to the point, do you fancy my brother?”

“What?”

“Well, I know my brother well enough to know that he likes you, but I don’t know you well enough, and you’re hard to read.”

“Who says you even know your brother well enough? Maybe he’s just different because of something else. I mean, you have different experiences because you aren’t together all of the time. Just look, right now you aren’t together, so he’s having a different experience than you are, which will make him a little bit different than the last time you were with him.”

“No it won’t. And no, he’s not different for some other reason. He’s my twin, I would be the expert about knowing things when it comes to being a twin, not you my dear.”

“You might be surprised,” she mumbled.

“What? Don’t try and change the subject with ludicrous statements. Do you fancy my brother? It’s a simple question.”

“It is a simple question. Let’s say, for the sake of the question, that your assumptions about how your brother feels are correct. Do you think I would actually answer your question?”

“So, you do like him!” Fred said triumphantly.

“I didn’t give you an answer, and I don’t plan on it. You have no business asking me.”

“The fact that you won’t answer tells me everything, and it is my business because he is my twin.”

“I won’t answer because if I do like him, you don’t need to know. If I don’t like him, you especially don’t need to know. Feelings between me and George are between me and George. It’s not between you, me and George.”

Fred still had a smug look on his face, though he said, “Don’t tell me if you don’t want to, but you don’t need to, I have my information.”

“Good, because I need to get to finishing my Arithmancy for next hour. To satisfy your curiosity, I would venture to guess that George and I are only friends and that things aren’t likely to change. Make of it what you will.”

She left Fred, who still had a smug look on his face, and she hoped that she had been able to say something that wasn’t stupid. She didn’t know whether or not she really wanted Fred to know the truth. And did George really like her?

“Andrea!” someone called as she walked past the Great Hall. “Do you know where I can find my twin?” It was George, smiling as he strode towards her. “He looks like me in just about every way, though he’s not quite as smart,” Andrea laughed at this. “I heard that he was with you.”

“Yes, as a matter of fact. I think he’s down that way, if he’s still in the place we were talking.”

“Was he pestering you?”

“Actually, yes, a bit,” she laughed.

“Did you punch him?” George asked excitedly.

“No! You’re never going to forget I hit Potter, are you?” she groaned.

“The chances are slim to none. What was he pestering you about?”

“Oh, well, er,” she didn’t really know what to say.

“Come on, just tell me.”

“Well, the topic of conversation was that you and I evidently have feelings for each other, or at least we do according to Fred,” she explained all of this very quickly.

George just looked at her for a moment. Then he laughed, “He’s a bit mental that one, like I said, not quite as smart as me.”

“I told him he was off the mark, that we’re only friends,” she smiled. She was disappointed that he didn’t appear to fancy her in any way, but she still enjoyed him and he always made her smile. “I’ve got to get to the library though, last minute Arithmancy.”

“Good luck on that,” he called as she turned and made her way up the stairs.

Sitting in the library, she couldn’t really concentrate on her assignment until she thought about what had just happened. She didn’t know quite what to think at first. So George didn’t like her, but it was evident that Fred absolutely was positive that he did. She looked around the library, and then gasped when she saw Neal coming into the library. She quickly put her head down and sunk lower into her chair, hoping that he wouldn’t see her. She wasn’t quite ready to speak to him yet.

He didn’t seem to notice her. Seeing Neal did make her contemplate a bit more though. Did she even want a relationship after everything that had happened, and was still happening, with Neal? No. Not right now. Perhaps George not liking her was the best thing for the time being. Perhaps the best thing right now was just to have a harmless little crush on George Weasley and nothing more. It would be nice and drama free. After all, she had other boys to worry about, Neal, Draco, and Harry to be exact. Andrea had no sisters, but she did have a cousin about four years older than herself that she was close to. She would write to Penelope and ask her for a bit of advice. First, however, she would finish her Arithmancy.

~*~*~

“Fred, what’s in your head? Talking to Andrea about us liking each other! It’s absurd!”

“No, I’m afraid it’s quite obvious that you do like each other, dear brother.”

“Well, it’s news to me,” George shrugged. He and Fred both let the subject drop. Did he like Andrea? She was beautiful, no doubt about that. She was also smart and interesting to talk to. He would be lying if he said he wasn’t at least intrigued by her. He had been intrigued ever since the last of term the previous year. But did he actually fancy her?

Say Goodnight and Go by electronicquillster
Now if you’ll all please turn your copies of OotP to… Pgs 402 “ 420 (italic bits throughout this chapter indicate quotes from the original text, or in some cases the incantation for spells, it should be obvious which are which…)

After taking her note to Penelope and sending it off from the owlery, Andrea made her way through the castle to the Great Hall. The weather was bright and only slightly cloudy, no wind to speak of, ideal for the Quidditch match which would be under way in an hour. As she entered the Hall she spotted Sophie, who waved her over, but she was forced to stop as someone decked out in green Quidditch robes stepped in her path abruptly.

“Good morning Miss Benning,” he smiled.

“Morning Mr. Malfoy,” Andrea replied.

“Lovely day for Quidditch, no?”

“Perfect conditions,” she barely was able to agree before he continued his side of the conversation.

“I wouldn’t ask that you actually cheer for Slytherin, but since I know you’re not a particular fan of Potter either,” he laughed, no doubt remembering her punching Harry during Potions, “You may as well join us in showing disdain for Weasley. Take one of these, my treat.” With that he thrust a small pin into her hand.

“Interesting. I have to be going now. Break a leg,” she said, truly hoping he would.

Soon enough she was sitting with Sophie, Roderick and Andrew, dishing up some hot eggs and sausages onto her plate as they all talked excitedly about the upcoming match, decked out in red and gold, the same as everyone else along the table. The whole house was keeping their eyes peeled for any sign of their team. The first to arrive for breakfast were Fred and George. The moment they stepped in the doors of the Great Hall, there was booing from the Slytherins, but it was drowned out almost completely by the cheers of the Gryffindors, and even some of the other houses.

The twins took it in stride, completely in their element. They bowed and nodded, acknowledging their adoring fans. As George passed Andrea, their eyes met for a split second, but he hurried past, and she quickly took a drink of her pumpkin juice. A moment later Fred passed, and having witnessed the moment, winked at Andrea in a cheeky way. She blushed slightly, her jaw dropping at his perceptiveness. Luckily she recovered before anyone but Edward could notice, and he kicked her leg playfully under the table.

It wasn’t long before the champion Seeker and rookie Beater turned up. They received a rousing welcome as well, but Ron seemed to be growing more pale by the moment. Andrea watched as he collapsed onto a nearby bench. Harry was faithfully at his side, trying, no doubt, to give Ron a pep talk and try to boost his confidence. That reminded her of the pin Malfoy had given her, she pulled it out of her pocket and looked at it. It was a silver crown shape with the message: Weasley is our King. This was obviously not an indication of anything good ahead. Hermione and Ginny passed at that moment, and Andrea called out to them. They stopped and she stood and went over to them.

“Thought you might want to take a look at this. No doubt there’s some kind of trouble afoot,” Andrea said apprehensively, holding out the pin for Hermione to take.

Hermione gasped as she read it.

“Malfoy’s idea of a joke,” she explained. “I expect there to be more than just this.”

Hermione handed it to Ginny, who shook her head, “We can’t let Ron see this, he’s nervous enough as it is.”

“Thanks for the heads up,” Hermione said and they parted.

There was another rousing cheer as the Chasers entered and they sent the whole team off with an even louder ruckus than any of the previous. Looking up at the staff table, Andrea saw that Snape looked rather annoyed, McGonagall was glowing with sheer pride, and then, perhaps even worse than Snape’s attitude, was the look on Umbridge’s face. There were only two words to describe it, sly and scheming. That couldn’t mean anything good. No doubt she was looking for any excuse to extinguish as much of the excitement around as she possibly could.

Roderick matched her gaze, voicing his thoughts. “Is it just me, or does that woman seem like she’s always up to something?” The others nodded in agreement as they rose and began their plight to the pitch, hoping to get best pick of the seats.

The lawns were covered with frost, and in ten minutes there would be a well beaten path leading from the castle to the pitch, no longer frozen, and probably dry as well from all the traffic. They settled themselves on the top row, in the middle of the Gryffindor section, they were surrounded by the other fifth, sixth, and seventh years from their house. Word had been spread that any underclassmen found in the prime seating area would be treated to some hexes or other similar treatments, maybe even some nosebleed nougat, which Fred and George still hadn’t found the antidote for. There was a faint melody coming from the opposite stands, where the Slytherins were sitting.

It wasn’t long before the teams emerged to huge cheers and boos from either side. There was no question at the entrance of the Gryffindor House Team that they were heavily the favorite among the crowd. The teams lined up face to face. Angelina shook hands with Slytherin’s captain, Montague. Madam Hooch gave the signal for the players to mount brooms.

The whistle was blown and fourteen players and four balls flew into the air, and Lee Jordan’s commentary began.

“And it’s Johnson, Johnson with the Quaffle, what a player that girl is, I’ve been saying it for years but she still won’t go out with me -”

“JORDAN!” yelled Professor McGonagall.

Many of Lee’s fellow Gryffindor’s laughed, knowing full well that his pursuit of Angelina involved significantly more than flattery for her skills on the Quidditch field.

“Just a fun fact, Professor. Adds a bit of interest - and she’s ducked Warrington, she’s passed Montague, she’s - ouch - been hit from behind by a Bludger from Crabbe. . . . Montague catches the Quaffle, Montague heading back up the pitch and - nice Bludger there from George Weasley, that’s a Bludger to the head for Montague, he drops the Quaffle, caught by Katie Bell, Katie Bell of Gryffindor reverse passes to Alicia Spinnet and Spinnet’s away, dodges Warrington, avoids a Bludger - close call, Alicia - and the crowd are loving this, just listen to them, what’s that they’re singing?”

Most of the stadium seemed to strain to hear just what it was the Slytherins were singing. It didn’t take long for everyone to figure out that this was bad news. Lee began to plow on with his commentary, and the Gryffindor fans immediately began to take action by dispatching a dozen or so people to try and get close enough to the Slytherins to start casting some silencing charms. They all would’ve gone, but that would draw unwanted attention. They decided that their best bet was to get into the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff sections and so they split into two groups. Andrea and Roderick went to the Ravenclaw side with Dean Thomas, William Burnoose, Colin Creevey, and Selene Grading. They rushed off in a single file line, wands already out. They climbed up into the stands and were greeted by some of their friends and easily let through to the side closest to the Slytherins. There they met up with Roger Davies and Cho Chang.

Roger was the first to notice the Gryffindors and looked at them, a frustrated look on his face. “It’s no use, we can’t get them to shut up!”

Cho explained, “We think they put up some kind of barrier in anticipation of anyone trying to silence them.”

“The blighters have only gotten louder since Weasley let that first goal in the hoop,” Davies was thoroughly annoyed.

“They got one past him?” Dean asked dejectedly.

“The second one came through just a minute ago,” Cho said, a solemn look on her face. It meant that they’d been able to find at least some sort of weakness in the Gryffindor team, but no one wanted Slytherin to win.

“We’ll keep on trying to figure something, but you may as well go back and just try and drown them out with everything you’ve got over on your side,” Cho said.

“They’re bloody annoying really. Probably have the blasted song in my head for a week,” Davies complained.

The Gryffindors thanked them for their help and went as fast as they could back to the scarlet and gold section, arriving just before the others who’d tried from Hufflepuff, reporting similar news of support from their friends over there. All they could do now was focus in on the game and try to boost Ron’s morale.

But Ron let in two more goals. There was a feeling of desperation among all of the fans. Everyone was hoping that either Potter would be able to hurry and find the Snitch, Fred and George would knock the whole Slytherin team unconscious one by one with Bludgers, or the Chasers would start some mad scoring streaks to bring Gryffindor into the lead.

“- and Katie Bell of Gryffindor dodges Pucey, ducks Montague, nice swerve, Katie, and she throws to Johnson, Angelina Johnson takes the Quaffle, she’s past Warrington, she’s heading for goal, come on now Angelina - GRYFFINDOR SCORE! It’s forty-ten, forty-ten to slytherin and Pucey has the Quaffle. . . .”

The fans didn’t care as much about the score at this point as they did about the fact that a bit of hope had been restored. The went wild and even completely drowned out “Weasley Is Our King” strains for a few moments. Soon, however, everyone was back to paying rapt attention to the game’s progression.

“- Pucey throws to Warrington, Warrington to Montague, Montague back to Pucey - Johnson intervenes, Johnson takes the Quaffle, Johnson to Bell, this looks good - I mean bad - Bell’s hit by a Bludger from Goyle of Slytherin and it’s Pucey in possession again. . . .”

Not many noticed the flash of gold, but everyone noticed when the two opposing Seekers each began taking some spectacular dives.

“They Snitch has been spotted, and both Potter and Malfoy are in immediate pursuit, they’re hot on the trail, neck and neck, headed to the goal hoops, but now they’re changing course slightly, it’s too close to call.”

The whole stadium held their breaths. They both extended their arms, reaching, groping . . .

It was Potter who raised his hand in the air triumphantly and everyone but the Slytherins erupted into deafening roars of approval, celebrating at the Slytherin’s defeat. Many people missed what happened next, but soon all were paying attention because the action on the field clearly wasn’t over.

A Bludger hit Harry squarely in the small of the back and he flew forward off his broom; luckily he was only five or six feet above the ground, having dived so low to catch the Snitch, but he was probably winded all the same as he landed flat on his back on the frozen pitch. At the sound of Madam Hooch’s whistle there was a deafening sound of catcalls, angry yells and jeering. Everyone continued to protest as they watched Angelina land next to Potter and then help him off the ground with a hand up. Madam flew straight to the perpetrator of the illegal Bludger, none other than Crabbe.

“Oh no,” Sophie said, as they all watched Malfoy land near Potter and Johnson. He seemed to be talking to Potter, but he turned around and greeted the rest of the team, except for Ron who quietly left the field by himself.

The next moment, however, the Weasley twins were both being restrained, one by Potter, the other by the three Chasers. They seemed to want to pummel Malfoy to the ground. Obviously whatever he was saying was truly horrible. No doubt something along the lines of “Weasley Is Our King,” Andrea had no doubt he’d penned that himself, having heard personally some of the jibes he’d thrown at Ron over the years.

It wasn’t long though before Harry let go of his teammate and they were both trying to beat the pulp out of Malfoy. Madam Hooch hadn’t noticed at first, being too busy laying into Crabbe, but then she saw the horrid display and shouted “IMPEDIMENTA!” bringing the brawl to a halt Madam Hooch was shouting something at the two while Malfoy was laying curled up, much to the amusement of many of the enemies he’d already created among the rest of the houses. The girls still had a firm hold on Fred while Harry and George walked off the field in the direction of the castle. They weren’t followed by any other students, everyone wanted to see if there was going to be anything else of note taking place as part of the aftermath.

There wasn’t, and soon enough the stands emptied and the students all made their way back to the castle, some to the Library, others to the Great Hall, or their House common rooms and various other destinations. However, even though everyone was spread across their respective parts of the castle, by mid-afternoon everyone had heard that Umbridge banned Harry Potter, Fred and George Weasley from ever playing Quidditch again, as per the new powers given her by the newest Educational Decree.

No one had seen hair nor hide of Ronald Weasley since the end of the match. The rest of the team sat brooding around the fire as things started to wind down in Gryffindor Tower from the bustle of homework and other things. Hermione and Ginny were the only ones who dared to delve into the circle of foul moods. Everyone else left them well enough alone. The Snitch, which Harry had forgotten to leave on the field in his anger, only served as a mesmerizing reminder of the blow to the Gryffindor team.

The common room emptied, and many people were sound asleep in the girls dormitories before Hermione came into the room she shared with Sophie and Andrea. Andrea was still awake, and she watched silently as Hermione gathered an array of warm clothes, including a hat she had knitted. It was obvious Hermione was preparing for some sort of outdoor excursion. Andrea let well enough alone. She remembered well just how tightly wound Hermione was their first year at Hogwarts, and was glad that she had relaxed significantly.

A few minutes after Hermione left the dormitory, Andrea went back out to the common room, sleep completely eluding her this evening. The empty common room was extremely peaceful, and the large fire was finally settling down, starting to edge toward the point of embers, but there was still going to be a while before it died completely. She settled into a big comfy chair, watching the flames flicker pleasantly.

After a half an hour, Andrea still wasn’t any closer to feeling sleepy, but she did hear some noise on one of the stairways behind her, the one leading from the boys dormitory. Andrea was pleasantly surprised to see it was George Weasley who had come down into the common room and there was a small whir of butterflies in her stomach. She watched as he crossed to the far side of the room and shuffled through some loose leaves of parchment that had been left on one of the large study tables. Once he found what he was looking for, he turned to go back into the dormitory, but stopped, seeing Andrea there. She smiled, quirking an eyebrow, “Homework Weasley?”

“No, just looking for a set of experimental notes from one of the last tests Fred and I conducted on the skivving snackboxes,” he replied, holding up the renegade parchment. “What are you doing still up?” he asked, coming over and sitting on a chair nearby.

“Can’t sleep,” she shrugged.

“Would you like to try a complimentary piece of Fainting Fancy? It’s supposed to make you faint but so far all Fred and I can get is just heavy drowsiness, followed by sleep,” he explained.

“Would I actually be able to wake up in the reasonably near future?” she asked giving a small laugh, knowing that a few of their Skivving Snackboxes still didn’t have all the quirks smoothed out.

“Yes,” he smiled, then winced slightly, putting his hand to his lip. “Kind of forgot about having Madam Pomfrey take a look at that.”

Andrea leaned forward and moved his hand away. “That’s a nasty battle wound. How could you’ve forgotten.?”

“Well, I haven’t been smiling much today since it happened.”

Andrea pulled out her wand. “Accio healing kit!” A moment later, a small black box came to rest in her lap. “Do you mind if I take a look at it?”

“I’d really appreciate it,” George answered.

Andrea opened the box, murmured a few words, then pulled out a warm, wet rag and started to clean his bloody lip from the brawl with Malfoy. He pulled back from the initial sting, wincing a bit. Andrea smiled. “It smarts a bit more than when you actually got the injury doesn’t it?”

George laughed softly, nodding in agreement. He let her finish cleaning it. Andrea then went back to her little black box and pulled out a small jar. When she opened it, there was an overwhelming scent of mint, making George cough a little in his initial reaction. Andrea smiled, “This salve should help.” She put a dab on her finger and gently applied it to his lip. George watched her intently as she tended to the injury, his pulse starting to go faster. She took h is breath away whenever he saw her, but he hadn’t had a really private conversation with her since last year. They’d never been actual friends spending time together and the like, but they were very friendly toward each other whenever they were in the same places at the same times.

She paused when she chanced a quick look at George’s eyes and was ensnared by them. Her cheeks took on an immediate shade of deep red, and she hoped that the common room was becoming sufficiently dark enough to hide the brunt of it. George took a deep breath, and then coughed from the strong scent of the mint salve. They were both glad the tension had been broken. “Well, tomorrow, there should be almost no trace of this cut.”

“Really?” he asked. She nodded. “Thanks.”

“It was no trouble.” There was a moment or two of silence, then Andrea took a deep breath and started to plow through what she’d been thinking most of the day. “I cannot believe the gall that Umbridge has! Banning you, Fred and Harry from the team! And Crabbe, all he gets is lines? It’s an injustice and totally absurd!” she finished rather vehemently.

“It’s good to hear you say that,” George gave a small smile. “I honestly want to strangle the woman. I mean, Quidditch is one of the only reasons Fred and I even decided to come back to Hogwarts. Our future isn’t planned so much on NEWT results. That and our mum probably would’ve turned us into tea cozies in her anger.”

They both laughed heartily at this comment, George’s mood finally starting to grow a bit happier. “So Quidditch is the only reason? I don’t know if I’d come back just for that. You can play Quidditch anywhere, and you and Fred are good enough to get on one of the teams in the league.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah, are you kidding? You’re brilliant!” she was smiling widely at this, and he was now matching it. “I mean you and Fred both,” she added, hastily breaking their eye contact again.

George logged away that comment to think about later. After a moment, he said, “Andrea can I ask you something?”

She was studying the fire intently again as she had been before he’d come down to the common room, it always seemed to ease her tension. “Of course - you just did,” she smiled at him, looking at him from the corner of her eye. He rolled his eyes. “But I imagine you wanted to ask me something a bit more substantial.”

“Why didn’t you go out for the team this year? I saw you watching from the stands with Edward Abercrombie and Neal Thatcher. I’ve heard you and Roderick are both really good.”

“From Angelina?” George nodded. “It’s simple: I don’t play Keeper, and neither does Roderick. Between my oldest brother who keeps for the Kestrals and all the other players who drop in we’re never in want of a Keeper at the Benning Manor.”

“Have you ever tried your hand at Seeker or Beater? I hear the house team has a few openings,” he groaned. He stood and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a Fainting Fancy and tossed it to her saying, “Think it over anyway. I’m going back up before Fred comes looking for me. This paper,” he lifted his hand which held the bit of parchment, “is what he sent me down here for after all.”

“Thanks,” she said.

“No, thank you.” He began to retreat to the stairway to the boys dormitory.

“Goodnight.”

“‘Night Andrea.”

He’d been glad that he’d been rather busy with Quidditch and Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes this year, because it had given him ample reason to avoid talking to her. Not that he didn’t want to, he just didn’t know what to say to her anymore. They’d spoken one evening right before the end of term last year, and that evening, he realized that he might actually be developing feelings for her. Seeing her after a summer apart, during which time she’d grown twice as beautiful as she was before didn’t help matters. Also, the few times he’d spoken to her this year had given him an odd feeling that he wasn’t used to. Dare he call it nerves? Tonight confirmed the suspicion that had been growing in his head for the past months, though he hadn’t been positive until tonight.

He truly fancied Andrea Benning. She was one of the most beautiful girls in the school now, rather smart, great Quidditch player, and had a bright personality. Not to mention that she was sought after, though she didn’t seem to notice. He groaned inwardly as he plowed up the staircase for he knew he was in way over his head.

Matches Can Burn by electronicquillster
AN: Still taking entries for the Harry Potter Universe raffle...but only for a limited time. This chapter takes place the day after the Quidditch match. And I hereby dedicate this chapter to Orlando Bloom. Sigh. How can you be so attractive? I just don't know. But I like it.

“How do you do it, Lee?” George asked as they walked back to Gryffindor Tower from the Great Hall from breakfast, Fred was no doubt still asleep. The day after his ban from Quidditch really made the thing a lot more real.

“Do what?”

“Spend your time not playing Quidditch. I’m going to have so much extra time to kill. I mean, I don’t study, and now I don’t play Quidditch. All I’ve got is the joke shop I suppose.”

“Nah, you just need to get yourself a girl mate.”

George’s stomach gave a horrible lurch. He immediately thought of Andrea, but he quickly pushed those thoughts out of his head.

Lee mistook his silence. “All right, girls are a bit complicated. Exploding Snap then. There are those sixth years who play Exploding Snap every free moment they’ve got, you know them, Edward Abercrombie and Roderick Benning.”

George nearly tripped over his own feet at the mention of Andrea’s brother.

“Hey,” Lee laughed at his clumsiness, “this no Quidditch thing is hazardous to your well being I see. We’ll figure out something, I’m sure.” As they reached the portrait hole, it swung open of its own accord, letting out a string of their fellow Gryffindors.

There were a few first years, and then a knot of fifth years, consisting of Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Sophie Smethwyck and Andrea Benning. Andrea told the others to go along and that she’d catch up with them in a minute.

She approached Lee and George, smiling. “Good morning.”

“Same to you Andrea,” Lee said cheerfully. George contented himself with a nod and a weak smile.

“George, I just wanted to thank you for that bit of Fainting Fancy last night, it was just the what I needed.”

“Good, I’m glad it worked out. Thanks again for treating my battle wound, it’s a million times better this morning, almost nonexistent.”

“No trouble. Mum showed me a few tricks. She’s always patching up some sort of Quidditch injury around the house. Well, I’m going to go catch up with Sophie and the others.”

“See you around,” George said as she turned and left. He smiled, watching her go down the corridor.

Lee just watched him for a moment, then he laughed. “So what about Benning then? She’d make a good girlfriend. She’s totally gorgeous, not to mention smart.”

“No,” George said hastily. “No way.”

“All right. What about Selene Grading?”

“No.”

“Delia Wellington?”

“Come off it, Lee.”

“All right, not now; but later, you, me, Fred, we’re going down to the Library and we’ll start our evaluation of the best candidates for dating. First, I think we’ve got to take advantage of this glorious snow we’ve got outside. Perhaps bewitch some snowballs to zoom around and annoy people.”

~*~*~

Madam Pince glared suspiciously at the Terror Trio as they entered the library later that afternoon. She felt they had to be up to something, they were never in the library on the weekends, and today was Sunday. Fred and George came in to look up bits of information on weekdays at lunch now and then, but this was highly suspicious. They’d even brought their schoolbags with them, putting on the illusion that they were here to work on some class work. The three surprised her even further by coming straight over to her desk.

“Afternoon, Madam Pince,” Lee said in a cheerfully quiet voice.

“Not causing trouble boys, I hope,” she said it more as a warning than anything else.

“Come now Madam Pince,” Fred looked hurt.

George matched his look and his tone, continuing his brother’s thought, “Would we ever cause trouble?”

She scoffed.

“For you, that is,” Fred amended.

“You do have a clean record in my realm of the school, but you are up to something, I can feel it in the air.”

“It’s nothing that will disturb the others,” Lee reassured her.

She gave them a scrutinizing look, but gave a nod allowing them to proceed.

~*~*~

The Hogwarts Library was in no way something to sneer at. Rows upon rows holding shelves and shelves of books, scores of tables scattered around here and there across the floor. The walls of the library itself were three stories high, every inch of it housing some book or other.

Fred, George, and Lee all quickly climbed one of the spiral staircases leading to the platform of an isle that went all around the walls so that students could get to the books on the second level. Then they climbed a ladder to one of the private study tables on the third level. Lee was the first up, and when the twins had appeared, he said, “Hope you don’t mind, but I thought we might need the inside scoop,” he indicated his cousin, a sixth year Ravenclaw, Elsie Smoot.

“Don’t worry, I know what is a secret,” she smiled at them.

“That, we’re sure of, but will you keep ours?” George asked apprehensively.

It was well known around Hogwarts that if you wanted even the most obscure tidbits of information on anyone inside Hogwarts, you could easily get what you needed from Elsie Smoot. She was the queen of the gossip mill. If anyone knew it, she would. If you didn’t want your information noised abroad, you could either pay her off to keep quiet, or keep it quiet yourself in the first place, making sure you didn’t let your secrets leak any farther than those you knew wouldn’t talk.

“Lee and I have already discussed the terms of my being here. I’ve prepared a little profile that I need each of you to fill out. Based on your answers I will tell you all the information I know about the girls who would most likely be compatible, and you two can just listen. I’ve made a list of eligible bachelorettes fifth year and above. So, do come sit,” she motioned to the seats at the table.

She pushed a roll of parchment each to Fred and George. It was rather lengthy. There were questions about everything, including how the questioned would react in different scenarios. Fred was done a few minutes before George and handed his parchment to Elsie. She pulled out another roll of parchment, and started crossing off a few names here and there. When she was finished, she handed her modified list to Fred, then took George’s profile and began crossing names off of another list. She then took out a last piece of parchment, another duplicated list of the eligible bachelorettes, and marked on her list which ladies she had indicated for each twin. She then handed Fred and George their respective lists.

“Take a look at that for a minute, I’m going to look and see if any of the candidates are in the library right now.”

She scanned her list and the floor below alternately. “Ah, there’s one you might try George,” she pointed to a table where there were a few people studying. “Sophie Smethwyck,” George immediately looked to see just where Elsie was pointing, particularly because he knew who Sophie’s best friend was, and indeed, he was not disappointed. His heart skipped a beat when he saw Andrea, and he studied her while Elsie went on about Sophie. “Fifth year Gryffindor; really intelligent. Her father works at St. Mungo’s and that’s her plan as well. She’s not beautiful, but not plain either. Really loyal and ambitious.

“Okay, Fred, right below us is Daphne Greengrass. . .” George didn’t really pay attention as Elsie went on and on about girl after girl. He’d pretend to be listening when she mentioned a prospective candidate for him, nod his head, whatever needed to look like he wasn’t watching Andrea as she moved around the library, collecting different books, putting them back after she’d found what she needed, laughing with Sophie, concentrating hard on what to write next. He couldn’t help his fascination.

“Now, to discuss my payment,” Elsie said, thoroughly in a business voice. “We have the consultation fee, as well as the confidentiality fee. The confidentiality isn’t really an issue since you two didn’t tell me any of your feelings other than what you wrote down generally on your profile, but most of that is easy for anyone to figure out if they want to.

“Seeing as Lee is my cousin, and you two are his best friends, I won’t tell anyone you came to meet with me about your love lives,” she smiled. “Now, consultation fees. . . hmm, let me think. . . I’d say ten galleons a piece.”

“Are you bloody serious?” Fred exclaimed, totally surprised.

“You can’t put a price on love,” she smiled with satisfaction.

“But I haven’t even got any girls in Gryffindor on my entire list!”

“I suggest that you don’t get involved with any girls in your house for the time being; perhaps much later, but not now,” she said pointedly. “Any more concerns?” she asked. “All right then. You can pay me in gold or in goods, I hear you inventions are top notch.”

The twins smiled and dumped their pockets, depositing one fake wand, and then various skivving snackboxes and other things. Looking over the goods, she nodded, pleased with her payment, and started collecting it into her school bag. The boys thanked her and Fred and Lee started down the ladder first. George waited until Lee’s head was below the platform level and then quickly sat down again next to Elsie.

“I had a feeling you and I weren’t quite through yet,” she said.

“Five galleons for a question and then your silence about it.”

“Deal. Go ahead.”

“Well, there’s this girl that I know, and I know her a lot better than anyone on my list, so-”

“Say no more,” she interrupted. “You’re wondering why someone you think you would be a lot better going after isn’t on you list.” He nodded. “Who is it? I promise I won’t tell a soul.”

“Er, well, it’s Andrea Benning. We’ve been pretty friendly over the years.”

“Benning. You’ve got good taste; high hopes as well. She’s in the top of the game, but there are two simple reasons she’s not on anyone’s lists. Malfoy is after her, and though it’s obvious enough she hates him, Malfoy isn’t about to give up and you don’t want to cross him. Besides that, there’s Neal Thatcher.”

“Oh, well, no matter,” George shrugged. “I was just curious. Thanks again,” he said

~*~*~

Andrea looked up from her essay when she heard footsteps coming quickly towards the table where she and Sophie were studying in the library. It was Edward, minus Roderick, and he had quite an apprehensive look on his face. He motioned for Andrea to follow him, evidently not wanting Sophie to know he was here. Andrea quickly muttered to Sophie that she had to go for another book and followed the path that Ed had just taken a second before.

“What’s the matter?”

“It’s Rick. I won’t dance around it. We were sitting in the common room, in the middle of a spectacular game of Exploding Snap. All of a sudden he looks at his watch, stands up, and declares that he has to go meet Sarah Edgewood. Then he leaves, just like that.”

“Sarah Edgewood?”

“I know! Not to mention the fact that we were in the middle of Exploding Snap!”

“Like that’s the most important thing,” Andrea’s voice was bitterly sarcastic. “I’m wondering why he went to meet Edgewood at all.”

“I know,” Ed agreed. “I was of course curious as well, so I followed him. They met up in the entrance hall, and she’s all smiles, and then,” Ed paused.

“And then what?”

“He kissed her.”

Andrea’s jaw dropped. “This is terrible! I thought Sophie and Roderick were together, and here he goes cheating on her! They were studying together just last night!”

“They’ve been studying together almost every night,” Ed’s face was full of shock, and Andrea knew her face must match it.

“Well, what am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to tell my best friend that my own brother has been playing her?”

“I’ve no idea, I just figured I’d give you the heads up. I do not envy you one sickle.”

“Thanks for your support,” she rolled her eyes. They both walked down the aisle looked around the corner at the table where Andrea left Sophie. Ed and Andrea both gasped at what they saw. Sophie was no longer studying. Instead she was paying attention to a Ravenclaw named Terry Boot who was whispering something in her ear. Sophie giggled and then kissed him on the cheek. He smiled and then stood up and walked out of the library.

Andrea and Edward hid behind the row of books again. They were beyond shocked, only a notch above dumbfounded.

Ed was the first to be able to speak. “I think something has gone seriously wrong with Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance.”

“My brother is playing my best friend who is playing him in return.”

“You find out what is going on with her and I’ll find out from Roderick what his story is.”

Andrea nodded and they each went their separate ways. Andrea sat back across from Sophie as she had been before. Sophie looked up, and seeing the look on Andrea’s face asked, “Is something wrong?”

“Yes, something is very wrong. I’m really confused.”

“Oh, is it something in this Transfiguration essay? Let me have a look,” she said reaching for Andrea’s work.

“No, it’s about you and Roderick,” Andrea indicated.

“Oh,” Sophie looked a bit uncomfortable as well now. “I guess you saw Terry.”

“Pretty much. Care to explain?”

“First, it’s not what you think. I would never do that to Roderick.”

“Well, you’d better keep explaining because so far all I can see is that you and Roderick have been studying together an awful lot and yet you’re kissing Terry Boot on the cheek? I’m trying to understand, but things just aren’t adding up.”

“Okay, we do study together. Roderick and I find that we’re able to study really well together, but that’s all. Roderick has someone else as well,” she was speaking very quickly, no doubt trying to get everything out in the open as quickly as she could before Andrea changed from stunned and unbelieving to angry. “I mean, the first couple of weeks back from the summer holidays Roderick and I tried giving a relationship a go, so we studied together and the like, but we never were able to click, other than being able to study and help each other out that way. We both kind of found other people at the same time; for me it was Terry, for Roderick it’s Sarah Edgewood, the Hufflepuff prefect.”

“So why didn’t you ever tell me or Ed?”

“Well, we knew that you and Ed prided yourselves on the fact that you were running, what is it, ‘Operation Romance?’”

“Operation Sophie-Roderick Romance,” Andrea offered.

“Yes,” Sophie laughed. “So we couldn’t very well disappoint you two now, could we? Besides, it gave us a good cover so that we could find our own relationships without any meddling best friends, as much as we appreciate the both of you.”

“So that’s it?”

Sophie nodded, laughing.

Andrea joined her, “Well, that’s a relief. I was dreading having to tell you that my brother was going with another girl.”

They continued to laugh until Madam Pince swooped down on them, shushing them.

“Actually, do you mind terribly if I leave you here? Terry and I made plans to meet up.”

“No,” Andrea smiled, “Go ahead.” Sophie gathered up her things and left the library. However, Andrea wasn’t alone for long.

“Mind if I sit here?”

Andrea looked up and into the face of Neal Thatcher but said nothing. This just felt awkward. Why did he have to go and kiss her? She dipped her quill in the ink pot on the table and went back to writing her Transfiguration essay.

Since she didn’t make any sign of protest, Neal sat down. A couple of Ravenclaw fifth years walked past, waving sheepishly at Neal and then turning the corner and giggling. Andrea couldn’t help but snicker at the display.

“It’s not like I ask for it you know,” he groaned.

“Really? I thought you could sign a list at the beginning of your first year for that kind of thing, I think they post in on the bulletin boards in each of the houses.”

He laughed softly at her sarcasm, then they let the silence build between them. Finally Neal took a deep breath and then said, “I can’t make any excuses about the other night, but I needed to tell you that I am really sorry, about you know. . .”

“Kissing me?”

“Yeah, that.”

“I know you are. I accept your apology,” she smiled, knowing that she may have acted the same way he did if their roles were reversed. Then her smile grew and the mischievous glint returned to her eye as she added, “Besides, it’s not as if I can really blame you for wanting to kiss me.”

Neal laughed again. “Thanks.”

Andrea again continued her essay and Neal pulled out his own homework from his bag. They worked until it was time to go down to the Great Hall for dinner, their friendship beginning to repair itself again. It had always been easy for Andrea to forgive people after she’d had a chance to think things over, and as long as they came around with a sincere apology. As they walked from the library, Andrea couldn’t help the feeling that she just needed to share what was going through her mind.

“I can’t be anything but friends with you. I need you to understand that. I’ve totally gotten past what happened between us. The end wasn’t so good, but other times will remain fondly in my memory. But you HAVE to understand, there is no way; because of our history, and because I don’t fancy you any longer, we can be nothing more than dear friends.”

“I really do understand, and I feel awful about jeopardizing our friendship like I did. I just, got caught up in the moment. I’m really sorry. But I do have a question.”

“Yes?”

“When you say you no longer fancy me, it seems that there is an underlying current that you might-”

Andrea cut him off, “When I say friends, I do have one condition: we will never be talking about who I do and do not fancy, unless of course you want to talk about how much I hate Malfoy, because I’m all for that avenue of conversation.”

They both laughed. “I can live with that. So, that Draco Malfoy, he’s a great prat, no?”

~*~*~

Sunday was indeed the beginning of the new era. Edward and Andrea finally found out that Sophie and Roderick were no more than friends and that they each had found someone else. Andrea and Neal were able to patch things back up and be friends.

George was realizing more and more that there was no girl he’d rather spend his time with than Andrea, but it was just like Elsie had told him: she and Neal came to dinner together and sat with some of their friends; Draco even tried to ambush her on her way out after she was finished eating, but Neal waltzed up and saved her just in time.

Fred’s conquests began almost immediately. He decided he’d take it alphabetically. He made a calendar with a different girl’s name for every week. George would have been appalled if he hadn’t also found it a bit funny. Now he fully understood why Elsie Smoot hadn’t put any girls from their house on Fred’s list. There would have been quite a problem and Fred wouldn’t have been able to sleep in safety. Of its own accord Fred’s new reputation of simply wanting a few good meetings in the broom closet and nothing more preceded him and not too many girls seemed to mind.

Mistletoe and Misguided Dreams by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: Sorry guys, JKR won the Harry Potter Universe raffle. I guess it wasn't hard since she bought one million raffle tickets and I only had 2, and everyone else that entered only had about 7 put together. Blast. Oh well.

I hereby dedicate this chapter to Seth Cohen. How much do I love you? More than words can even describe. Let's have a marriage, let's have a marriage license.

Quick warning: There is quite a traumatizing scene in this chapter - it is not for the faint of heart.

Pg. 451

December arrived, bringing with it more snow and a positive avalanche of homework for the firth years. There was not a day that didn’t find Andrea, Dean and Seamus in the library. Sophie was there as well, but more often than not would usually be studying with Terry Boot in some secluded corner of the library. They used to study with the other three, but were banned when the couple’s looks, flirtatiousness, and other couple tendencies grew to be rather quite a disturbance and annoyance.

Andrea felt it was a shame really that they had so much schoolwork. She was sad that she couldn’t just sit back and enjoy the magical things about the season. The mistletoe, the bright decorations, the beautiful blankets of snow, and cuddling up near a roaring fire. She kept diligent to her studies though, because she was determined to make the time go faster until holliday when she’d be free to laze about in the beauty of winter at home.

When Andrea wasn’t in the library, she was either with Neal Thatcher trying to improve her Charms skills, or in the greenhouse with Neville Longbottom who’d been asked by Professor Sprout if he could tutor Andrea. Andrea excelled in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, History of Magic, Potions, and with Neal’s help even Charms was coming along nicely. However, Andrea couldn’t identify or categorize plants for the life of her. She knew her potions ingredients, but that was because she’d studied profusely, and almost all the time they were in labeled containers.

Andrea was very glad for Neville’s willingness to help her in Herbology. It was evident that this was something that came very naturally for him, something he enjoyed and excelled in. In return Andrea was more than happy to help Neville along in his other subjects. Many people took one look at Neville in class and thought he wasn’t quite up to snuff, but as time went on, Andrea realized that Neville was the one holding himself back. His lack of self-confidence was his biggest cripple. Whenever he got wrapped up in an assignment and forgot that he wasn’t any good he became entirely capable of whatever he put his mind to.

Andrea was rather glad that she was always so occupied with studies, because she was able to avoid Malfoy almost completely, only seeing him in lessons. His attentions were growing even more insistent. She didn’t even need to listen to the words that came out of his mouth to know that nineteen times out of twenty he was either telling her of how they were perfect for each other or suggesting they sneak off to some broom closet. When she would refuse and rebuke him, he’d always answer with something to the effect of, “Your stubbornness and/or feisty personality are irresistible. You’ll come around soon enough and realize you’re madly in love with me.”

It made Andrea want to punch him, but since their exchanges took place mainly under the eye of Snape durring Potions, Andrea restrained herself, not wanting to be scrubbing and cleaning the disgusting tanks in Snape’s storage rooms again.

~*~*~

The last week before the Christmas Holidays found the students talking excitedly about their plans for break or kissing beneath the mistletoe. Fred Weasley, still keeping up his rigorous schedule of girls took every opportunity he could to lure some girl or other beneath the magical stuff. George was no longer amused by his twin’s antics; they only served as a reminder to him of his own wishes to be underneath the mistletoe, but while Fred would take any and every girl, George only wanted one girl, and she seemed to be almost impossible to find alone.

He saw her sometimes in the Great Hall for meals, and when he could he’d sit with her, but most of the time she was surrounded by her friends, and those times when she wasn’t he had Fred or Lee right on his heels and he wasn’t quite ready to reveal the object of his heart’s desire just yet. On top of that there was the fact that there was still something going on between Andrea and Neal Thatcher. He didn’t know just what it was, but he decided it was better to just let well enough alone. He and Andrea were friends after all. He wanted to see more of her around, even if it was just as friends, but she was always studying.

He did have D.A. meetings to keep him occupied now along with Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Occasionally, when Fred was off in some broom closet or under the mistletoe, he even took to cracking open his books. Not that he actually did any essays, but he would just brush up on the things they didn’t cover in class. It wasn’t his fault that he was blessed with such a superior intelligence and only needed to hear something come out of a teacher’s mouth once for it to make perfect sense and be able to remember it at the drop of a hat.

The last D.A. meeting before Christmas brought news from Angelina that they’d chosen new players for the house Quidditch team to replace him, Fred and Harry. He didn’t hear who it was as he Fred, and Lee were coming in just on the end of the conversation between Angelina and Harry. Once everyone had arrived, Harry announced that they would be reviewing the things they’d learned so far and set them to work on the Impediment Jinx first.

There were scattered bits of mistletoe around the room, and George almost swore he saw Ginny under a bit of it with her boyfriend for a moment, but didn’t turn and check. He didn’t want to know if his sister was snogging some boy, especially if it was that Zacharias Smith. He was glad that Fred was avoiding the stuff. In general Fred had decided to not only stay away from Gryffindor girls but extended it to members of the D.A. as well. They went on to Stunning, and then at the end of the hour, Harry brought the session to an end and they all started to leave the Room of Requirement in twos and threes.

Fred was off to some rendezvous and left Lee and George. They ran to catch up with the three Gryffindor Chasers. The five of them talked about their plans for the Christmas Holiday. They were all looking forward to a good three weeks away from Hogwarts. They all loved being there, but a break would be refreshing.

As they got closer to Gryffindor Tower, George brought the conversation around to what he was particularly curious about. “I heard you found some replacements for the Quidditch team.”

Angelina glared at him, still furious about the fact that almost half her team had been banned from playing. He just glared right back at her. It’s not like he was thrilled about it himself, but he couldn’t let Malfoy simply insult his family like that. Alicia spoke for Angelina, who decided to walk ahead of them, followed closely by Lee who was still trying to convince her that they should go out.

“We did find some replacements. Your sister, for one.”

“Really?” George said, completely surprised.

“Yeah, she’s a pretty good Seeker. She’s no Potter, but not bad at all.”

“More than we can say for our new Beaters though,” Katie groaned. “Andrew Kirke and Jack Sloper. They’ve got nothing on you and Fred, but they were the best that showed up.”

“We’ll have to start some intensive training as soon as we get back in January,” Alicia said wearily. “It’s hard to believe that just a year and a half ago Wood was captain and we’d won the Cup. Goes to show how things never turn out quite the way you think they will.”

They reached the Fat Lady at that moment and all three were glad that it wold serve as a good halt to the current conversation. Just after they climbed through the portrait hole, someone else crawled in after them. It was Sophie Smethwyck. Seeing her reminded George that Andrea was supposedly a brilliant player and made him want to know why she once again had neglected to go out for the team.

He looked around the common room to see if Andrea was there. She wasn’t. “Hey,” someone called his way. He looked to see who it was, but it was Dean Thomas, and he was talking to Sophie. “Where’s Benning? We thought she was with you.”

“She’s not back? I left her in the library a while ago, I thought she’d be back by now.”

“Well, she isn’t,” Seamus stated the obvious. The three seemed a bit worried, and with good reason as it was growing late.

“You know, I was going to go and borrow a book from the library. I can check and see if she’s still there,” George heard himself say, though he didn’t know why he’d let the words come out of his mouth. Dean and Seamus simply shrugged, but Sophie gave him a bright smile and thanked him for his thoughtfulness, and with that George was heading back out the portrait hole, an excitement he couldn’t deny growing in him. It’d give him a chance to ask Andrea why she didn’t go tryout for the Quidditch team.

~*~*~

“Is someone paying you to make my life miserable, Malfoy? Is that why you’re so persistent?” Andrea raged at him. She didn’t care that it was getting late and that her shouts could bring any number of authority figures that may be prowling around looking for rule-breakers. In fact, she did hope it would bring some teacher, or Filch, or even Peeves, because then she would have a chance to get away from Malfoy. She was almost home free, the hallway they were currently walking down was about to end and then she would turn to the right and he, hopefully, would take the left course as that was the way to the dungeons.

“You know, you’re even more beautiful when you’re angry,” Malfoy drawled. “It makes your eyes all fiery.”

She stopped and turned to glare at him. He was merely smiling at her, and it made her want to strangle him. “Why won’t you leave me alone?” she pleaded. “What did I ever do to deserve this torture?”

“Oh, stop putting on these shows, I know you’re worried I won’t return your affections, but I thought by now you would’ve figured out that I simply adore you.”

“You’re out of your head!” she shouted. Then she took a deep breath and calmly said, “Is there anything I can do or say to make you stop?”

“Give me what I want: a kiss, for starters.”

Her mouth dropped open in shock and disgust, she couldn’t help it, but the next moment she wish she had been able to control her reaction. He took the opportunity to close in and cover his mouth with hers, slipping his tongue eagerly into her open mouth. She was paralyzed to stop him out of her shock, and then fear as he backed her up against the wall, pining her there with his weight. When his hands started to grope at her, her senses came back to her and she sprung into action.

She tried to struggle against him, but he was stronger than she had expected. Using a little more force than before, she started to push him away, but was still not making a lot of headway. She slapped his face as hard as she could, hearing the sting, and even making her own hand hurt, but it got his mouth away from hers. With a better supply of oxygen, she was able to start kicking and punching him. He backed away, but she didn’t quit. She was enraged and disgusted. “How dare you?! I’m serious when I say you’ve been wasting your time! I will NEVER like you in any remote way! If you were the last person in the world, I would die rather than speak to you, much less anything else!”

“Back off Benning. I’ve given you ample time to make the right decision, but I’m done with you. Now you’ll regret your rejection of me,” he reached with lightning speed for his wand. “Crucio.”

Andrea crumpled to the floor with the intense pain that immediately filled her body. The sound of her screaming seemed distant in her own ears because of the fire that seemed to scorch through her veins. She started to sob; even though it had only been a matter of seconds of pain, it felt like an eternity. Then the pain stopped, as quickly as it had begun.

She was only barely able to open her eyes and see through her tears that someone had collided with Malfoy, and she could hear the sound of punching, and growls of frustration. She wiped the tears out of her eyes as her rescuer yelled at Malfoy’s retreating figure. “If you so much as look at her again in the wrong way, or at all for that matter, you’ll regret the action! If you were worth my time, I’d kill you for what you’ve done!”

Andrea was a little frightened to hear the anger in George Weasley’s voice, but when Malfoy was no longer in sight, he turned to her with deepest concern on his face although she could still feel that there was a large amount of anger raging through him. He kneeled next to her, his blue eyes penetrating hers, and softly asked, “Are you all right?”

She couldn’t stand for him to look at her right now, and the tears rolled hotly down her cheeks as she hung her head. “How much did you see?”

“I saw him. . . I saw enough. You handled yourself brilliantly before he pulled out his wand.”

“I feel so humiliated,” she moaned. She had a feeling that George had been about to say that he’d seen Malfoy on her, seen him groping and kissing.

“Hey,” he put one of his hands under her chin, cupping her face delicately, “You have nothing to be ashamed of. He’s slime and not worth a second thought. I also think you amply hurt his pride and gave him a few nice shiners, like you did Harry.”

Andrea gave a feeble laugh.

“Do you think you can stand?” he asked. She nodded and he stood and then reached down to give her a hand up, which she gratefully took. She was a bit shaky, but George saw this and put an arm around her waist to steady her. “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“I’ll be fine. Just a bit more embarrassed than anything,” she looked to the floor.

“I’m just glad that I was here to stop him, and don’t feel embarrassed. I’m not going to tell anyone what he did to you, and I doubt he’s going to say anything either. Let me walk you back to the Tower,” he smiled. His smile warmed her insides, not making her melt like it usually did, but it served to calm the tumultuous emotions raging inside her.

They were quiet as they walked back to Gryffindor, and as they went along Andrea seemed to be recovering. George still kept his arm around her, more for emotional support than physical. About halfway back, George decided to quench his curiosity and help Andrea to take her mind off of what had just happened. “Andrea, why didn’t you try out for the house team this time?”

“My skills as a Beater aren’t quite, well, they’re about as great as my skills as a Keeper, which are nonexistent.”

“Why not Seeker?”

“I couldn’t do that to Potter. He’s only banned until Umbridge is gone, so next year he’ll be back to playing. I’m not the person to go in and take over his spot this year. Actually, I heard Ginny got the position. She’s probably the only person who could fill in without making Harry terribly mad. Your family is like his family, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. But why does it matter so much to you? Why not just play?”

“Like I said, I couldn’t do that to Potter.”

“Why not?” he asked, unconsciously removing his arm from around her, and continuing with his train of thought. “Do you fancy him or something?”

“Oh, no! Never! Potter is about the last person I would ever crush on. The day I fancy him is the day I’m mourning Malfoy as my late husband!”

“That bad?”

“No, it’s just. . .complicated. I totally respect him, and I definitely hold him in high esteem, but I could never think of him romantically. Long story. Besides, while I’m not too shabby as Seeker, Chaser is my true calling. I’m quite brilliant, not to come off too pompous, but I just am. I find that when I play other positions it kind of affects my abilities as a Chaser.”

“Makes sense that you are a Chaser.”

“Why’d you say that?”

“Well, you like to be in the thick of things.”

“I do?”

“Yeah, there’s a lot of glory in being a Chaser, and you’re the youngest in your family. Seekers only really get the attention when they’re either in pursuit of the Snitch, or faking pursuit. Keepers are only in the game when the Quaffle’s coming towards them. Beaters are more behind the scenes, no one knows what they’re doing until after they’ve already made their mark, able to wreak their havoc without anyone noticing beforehand,” he smiled mischievously and winked at her.

“That’s not the only reason you like playing Beater. It gives you an outlet for your aggression.”

“What can I say?” he sighed. “Some of us use a Beater’s Bat, others are more apt at using their fists.”

“You are incorrigible!”

“One of my many charms.”

“You’re only charm.”

“Ouch, Benning! That hurts right here,” he frowned pitifully and put a hand over his heart.

“Didn’t know you had one of those,” she teased. They both laughed, and then a comfortable silence fell between the two of them the rest of the way back toward Gryffindor Tower. George was about to give the password when Andrea grabbed his arm. He turned and looked at her, seeing that her hazel eyes were looking a little bit misty.

“Hey, I just wanted to thank you for-”

“Don’t say another word about it. I just wish I had come earlier.” He tried to give her a reassuring smile, “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“I will be. A new day always makes things better. It’s just, it’s not so much the pain from the curse, I’m pretty well over that. But I feel so used, the way he. . .” she broke off, unable to finish.

A tear started to make a trail down her cheek, and George wiped it away. “Shh, come here,” he said soothingly as he pulled her into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his back, enjoying the feeling of strength and protection in his embrace. Her head just seemed to fit on his shoulder, he wasn’t much taller than she was, only about three or four inches.

They both jumped when the Fat Lady gave a loud, obviously fake cough and let go of each other, Andrea quickly wiping any remnants of her tears away.

“Sorry, you want the password,” George said sheepishly.

“Well, yes, of course, but look,” she pointed above where Andrea and George were standing.

They both looked up. Mistletoe. George was finally under the magical stuff with exactly the girl he wanted to be under it with, but after what she’d already been through tonight, he didn’t want to pressure here at all. He quickly looked away at the wall, shifting his weight. “Andrea, you don’t have-”

She placed a hand on his cheek and turned his face back to look at her, and they both smiled at each other. Andrea closed the distance between them, taking a breath to calm her nerves. He placed his hands on her waist.

“MIMBULUS MIMBLETONIA! MIMBULUS MIMBLETONIA!” Someone was shouting from around the corner. George and Andrea jumped apart, startled, the moment broken. The next second Fred came into sight, running down the corridor towards them. The Fat Lady had swung forward, in a huff of disappointment. “Quick!” Fred grabbed each of them by the arm. “Filch is coming! He hasn’t seen me yet, but we’re in for weeks of detention if he catches any of us!”

~*~*~

A few minutes later, the twins were up in their dormitory, in bed, the others in their room already asleep. “Hey George.”

“Yeah Fred?”

“I’ve just had a very interesting thought cross my mind.”

“Me too, I was thinking we might try an invisibility gum. What is it they make the cloaks out of? I think Ron said Harry had one, maybe he’d know.”

“No.”

“You’re right, Potter probably has no idea. Bet Dumbledore does though. Do you think we could get him to tell us?”

“You and Andrea were about to kiss before I came around tonight, weren’t you? If only Filch hadn’t been on my trail.”

“It was only a bit of mistletoe, it’s nothing really.”

“But why were you out there alone with her anyway?”

“I bet Dumbledore would tell us. I think he’d approve.”

“Dumbledore would tell us why you were with Andrea?”

“We could probably get a book from the library if Dumbledore refuses to tell.”

“Do you need Dumbledore’s approval to go out with Andrea? I’d think you’d probably want to ask her brother if you needed some approval.”

“Fred, I’m trying to concentrate on this invisibility gum. It’d be priceless! Maybe sell even more of that than all the Skivving Snackboxes we’ve sold so far.”

“Right. I approve of you and Benning, in case you were wondering.”

“I wasn’t, because it was just mistletoe.”

“It was pretty late for you two to be out of the common room.”

“I just saw her in the hall and we happened to be going the same way,” George hissed.

“Fine, fine. I’ll drop it. If it’s nothing, then it was nothing.” However, George couldn’t see the huge grin on his twin’s face. “G’night.”

“Night.”

~*~*~

Andrea didn’t tell Sophie about what happened with Malfoy or with George when she came up to their room. Hermione had just crawled into bed, and Andrea quickly followed suit. Before long they were all asleep.

Andrea found herself dreaming she was back home. It was summertime and she and her brothers were all home at Benning Manor. Others were there too, Edward, and his brothers Ethan and Euan; Lynch, Troy, Mullet, Moran, Connolly, the normal bunch. They were all zooming around on their Firebolts in a thrilling match, though it was modified. Two chasers and one Beater per team, instead of the normal three and two. There was a heightened danger though because there were still two bludgers, and they had fewer targets than in a normal game, making it easier to find one being pelted towards you. Their father was serving as referee, while mum was watching as she tended to her garden. Andrea had just dodged a bludger and was about to take a pass from Troy. The Quaffle was in the air, heading her way. She lifted a hand off her broom to reach out for it. Just before it came into her hand, she bolted up out of bed, a horrible rush of fear and foreboding filling her entire being.

This was really weird. She hadn’t been having any kind of nightmare, yet she was breathing heavily, her forehead was covered in icy sweat, her hands were cold and clammy. She had the horrible urge to hurl the contents of her stomach. Something was terribly wrong. There was no reason for her to have awoken like that from her Quidditch dream. She was glad that neither Sophie nor Hermione had woken up. Then it hit her. He’d had the terrible nightmare. It was that bloody sympathy pain and emotion channeling into her. She got up a moment or two later, and walked across the room to where the house elves always left a pitcher of cool water and a few glasses. The brunt of what she had felt when she woke up had worn off. It never lasted terribly long, but she still felt a bit of the wake of it. She would go and tell Dumbledore first thing in the morning before she left for the Christmas Holiday. He’d want to know.

Christmastime Is Here by electronicquillster
Disclaimer: Do I own anything? No. I don’t even own this disclaimer, so you’d better sue me for that as well. I’m pretty sure I ripped it off of someone else. Please tell them I did. Tell JK to cut out my entrails and burn them as well, and go ahead and tell Jerry Bruckheimer’s staff that I stole that line from National Treasure.

ELEMENTS OF THIS STORY WERE INSPIRED BY THE MOST EXCELLENT STORY CALLED “DO BE MY ENEMY FOR FRIENDSHIP’S SAKE”! IT’S SUPERB, SO I DEMAND THAT YOU GO AND READ IT RIGHT AFTER YOU FINISH THIS CHAPTER!

You’re going to meet a lot of Andrea’s family this chapter since she is going home for the holidays. Bear in mind that none of these people really matter in the scheme of things. The only people you meet in this chapter that matter are Darren and Rachel, otherwise it’s no big deal, and you really don’t have to pay much attention to Darren and Rachel because I’ll tell you everything you need to know when they pop up again later.

Pg 460

The next morning Andrea woke up very early. She hadn’t slept as well after waking up so horribly from her dream. She quickly and quietly got ready and then rushed out of the common room and made her way to the gargoyle on the third floor that guarded the gateway to Dumbledore’s office. “Peppermint Peacocks.”

The gargoyle didn’t move other than to shake his head.

“Blast! It’s different?”

The gargoyle nodded in the affirmative.

“Okay, how about Chocolate Frog? Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum? Honeydukes? It’s really important that I talk to the headmaster! Please let me in?” she finally pleaded knowing that she couldn’t guess anymore this early in the morning.

The gargoyle cocked his head to the side, seeming to contemplate for a moment, then he hopped aside, much to her surprise. She hadn’t really expected the creature to just let her in. But then she guessed that the gargoyle probably knew that sometimes there needed to be an exception. “Thank you,” she said sincerely as she stepped onto the moving staircase.

Once she reached the top of the staircase, she knocked on the closed door, and some mumbling behind it quickly stopped. “Come in,” Professor Dumbledore’s voice rang through the door.

Andrea came in. “Good morning, Headmaster,” she smiled.

He smiled in return, though it was a tired smile, and she noticed that he had the beginnings of dark circles under his eyes. “Good morning, Miss Benning. It’s quite early, what brings you here?”

“Well, I had kind of a weird experience during the night.”

“Please, sit,” he motioned to some chairs that were in front of his desk. They were wooden, with straight, high backs. She sat on the middle one. “Go ahead and tell me what happened.”

She proceeded to tell him about her Quidditch dream and then how she’d woken up, as if from a nightmare, in a cold sweat, etc.

“Well, are you feeling quite all right now? I’m sure Madam Pomfrey would be more than pleased to assist you in any way she can,” Dumbledore said when she was finished.

“It all subsided rather quickly. I’m feeling fine now, a bit tired if anything,” she answered.

“It was an exhausting night for many of us. I wouldn’t worry too much though, your experience isn’t out of the ordinary. There have been other times like this for you, no?”

“It happens from time to time. I’ll be doing something and have emotions that don’t relate at all to what is going on around me.”

“Completely natural, considering the circumstances. Anyone in your same position can tell you that.”

“I just thought you would want to know, in case it was anything serious.”

“Oh don’t worry,” Dumbledore assured her. “Things are being taken care of as we speak. But it’s nothing for you to worry about. Things will turn out all right as long as we don’t have any problems.”

Andrea chuckled at this last part. Dumbledore had that ability to keep a bit of humor even at serious times. Of course things would be fine if there weren’t problems.

“If there’s nothing more you wish to discuss, then I suggest you hurry along and get some breakfast and finish packing your things to leave. The carriages will be leaving to take you and your classmates to Hogsmeade station in a couple of hours.”

She nodded and thanked Dumbledore for his time.

“It’s always a pleasure to speak with you, Andrea. Happy Christmas!”

“Happy Christmas to you too, Professor Dumbledore!”

~*~*~

After having a quick breakfast and then packing her trunk to leave for the holidays she made her way down to the Entrance Hall with Roderick and the three Abercrombie brothers. She’d already said goodbye to Sophie; she was staying with her sister Barbara at Hogwarts for Christmas, the two both felt the need to devote as much time in the castle without regular distractions to study for the OWLs in Sophie’s case and the NEWTs in Barbara’s. Andrea couldn’t imagine wanting to stay at school for the holidays so that she could study. She had devoted every spare moment in the library this past week so that she wouldn’t have to do very much homework while on break.

The boys ditched her and climbed into their own carriage in front of the castle, but Andrea didn’t make a fuss. She happily climbed into a carriage with Hermione and Neville. Neville would be spending the holidays with his gran at home with the rest of his family. Andrea had bought him a particularly interesting plant for Christmas. She’d had the witch in the shop help her pick it out, and she couldn’t remember the name of it at the moment, but she’d been able to keep it alive for about a week, so she was pretty proud of herself. She gave it to Neville on the train ride home so it wouldn’t die before Christmas, and he’d been really excited about it, knowing what it was as well as its uses. He also congratulated Andrea on her ability to keep it alive by herself.

Hermione was going on a skiing trip with her muggle parents. For the past couple of weeks Andrea had been learning about skiing as a part of their winter sports unit for Muggle Studies class. Andrea gave Hermione her gift on the train as well because it was a pair of skiing goggles, some intense condition sunscreen and lip balm. The last two were both products from the wizarding world, but would far outshine any muggle product. Andrea knew from her study that it was guaranteed that skiers would receive sunburns if they didn’t take the proper precautions. Hermione was very glad for the thoughtful gift.

Andrea and Roderick’s Christmas would be spent at the Benning Manor with all of their family coming home as well. Mr. and Mrs. Benning where there on the platform when the two stepped off the train. They waved a cheery goodbye to their friends before being pulled into a bone-crushing hug by their mother. Walter Benning stood behind her, smiling at his children and trying his best not to laugh. This kind of hug was just as traditional as the way she always sent her children off to Hogwarts in September. The next moment she was holding each of them at arms length, the next part of what her husband and children referred to as the ritual.

“Oh dear, you two look far too skinny, but I suppose you’re healthy enough. Have you been eating a balanced diet? Fruits AND vegetables? You don’t skip breakfast do you? You don’t owl nearly as often as I’d like.” Every day is what she would like. Once a week is what she actually got. “I suppose you’re too busy with your studies though, at least that’s what your father tells me. You ARE studying aren’t you? Roderick, did I hear that you have a girlfriend? Tell me all about what she is like! Do you have a picture of the two of you? Perhaps we can have her and her family over for dinner sometime in the next few weeks. I hope she isn’t becoming a distraction. I saw Edward and his brothers come off the train as well. Does Edward still like that Katie Bell? His mother told me that Euan was sorted into Gryffindor as well, that’s excellent isn’t it?”

By the time they reached the Benning Manor Mrs. Benning’s inquiries of her two youngest children were over and done with and she was back to normal speaking patterns, meaning that her children and husband could actually answer her questions. But she still had more to go. Her three older sons were all arriving in the next few days along with their respective girlfriends, wives, and children. In addition to their immediate family, Mr. Benning’s brothers and their families would be at the Benning Manor for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Their house would be full and bustling up to the brim of excitement, just the way the Bennings liked it. Some families aren’t close, but the Bennings definitely did not fit in that category.

The next morning Andrea and Roderick’s oldest brother flooed in with his family. Dai and his lovely wife Judith had two young girls, Maggie and Grace, who were five and three respectively. These girls had their mother’s blonde, curly hair, and ice blue eyes, and loved to giggle. They also adored their Uncle Roderick, and he adored them in return.

By dinner time the next batch had arrived. Second oldest of the Benning children, Kevin and his wife Elizabeth had sworn not to have any more children. They were convinced that their set of troublesome triplet boys would be enough to last them the rest of their lives. The four year olds Sam, Simon, and Seth all had brown hair, and, even at this age, eyes that could only be called a conspiratorial hazel.

Due to his relationship with Sarah Edgewood, Roderick hadn’t spent as much time in the library as Andrea had over the last few weeks and had to confine himself to the study for a few hours every day during the first week of the holidays. Maggie and Grace took their dolls into the study as well so they could be with their beloved uncle the first day. Judith then asked Roderick to study during the afternoon, conveniently during the girl’s usual nap time. This worked like a charm, Roderick was able to work, and the girls fell asleep for a couple of hours.

By the time Roderick was finished with all of his homework the Kestrals had played their last game and Darren was free to come home. He also brought his lovely team mate, Rachel. Andrea and Rachel got along really well and the two were the only ones who could keep Sam, Simon and Seth from getting into too much trouble. Kevin and Elizabeth jokingly asked if the two girls would possibly consider taking their sons and raising them until they got their Hogwarts letters. Andrea loved the boys dearly, and Rachel was quite taken with them as well, but they declined Kevin and Elizabeth’s query, which wasn’t entirely meant in a joking way.

~*~*~

On Christmas Eve the extended family of Bennings showed up for a buffet style dinner and then stories around the huge roaring fire in the great room. There was a huge Christmas tree in the corner of the room, decorated with glowing fairies and enchanted snowflakes with sprigs of holly berries here and there. Flet actually joined her fellow fairies this year on the tree. She was extremely vain and enjoyed choosing a spot at the top of the tree.

The Bennings all settled in for an evening of laughter. Andrea was sitting in-between Rachel and her cousin Penelope, and each of the girls had one of the triplets. Kevin and Elizabeth were glad for yet another opportunity to have some time to themselves and cuddle in peace. Rachel wasn’t missing out on any time with Darren though, he had his arm around her and she had his head on her shoulder. It didn’t take long for her ward, Simon, to fall asleep, lying across both Darren and Rachel’s laps.

Grandpa Benning was always the first to start the story telling, relating the tale of how he met his wife. They went to Hogwarts together, and she wouldn’t speak to him until seventh year when Grandpa’s friends locked them in a tower together for the entire Easter weekend. Needless to say, when Grandma was finally forced to talk to her admirer of three years, she sort of came around. They were married the next October.

Next Grandpa Brand, Mrs. Benning’s father, who was always referred to as Captain by his grandchildren, told about his Quidditch glory days. He was captain of the Heidelburg Harriers in the late forties and early fifties. He met his wife during the Harriers’ match against the Holyhead Harpies in 1953. During the week long game, which he liked to recount almost every detail of, he took the opportunity to woo and flirt with his opposite number on the Harpies’ side, Gwendolyn Morgan. At the end of the match, he proposed marriage to Miss Morgan. She clobbered him on the head with her Cleansweep, giving him a concussion. After he was taken to St. Mungo’s, merely as a precaution, Gwendolyn started feeling guilty. She went to visit the invalid. He kissed her that day, and she gave him an actual answer to his marriage proposal. They married the next week, though their marriage didn’t affect the highly competitive spirit between the Harpies and Harriers. The rematch was another bitter week-long battle. Brand’s wife finally used her leverage to distract him just long enough for the Harpies’ beaters to hit him with a bludger, sending him to St. Mungo’s again with another concussion. The Harpies won the game and Gwendolyn retired her Harpies robes.

~*~*~

There was only one day of the year on which Morgan and Walter’s children would wake up early without any difficulty. Christmas morning found Dai, Kevin, Darren, Roderick and Andrea waiting anxiously in front of the Christmas tree, examining their presents, making guesses as to what they were. They were under strict orders not to wake anyone else up until seven o’clock, and by no means were they to open their presents until everyone was up and in the great room with them.

At six fifty-eight, the five Benning children all gathered anxiously around the grandfather clock in the entryway.

Six fifty-nine.

Thirty seconds left.

Twenty.

Fourteen.

Ten.

Three, Two, One.

BANG! All five started making as much of a ruckus as they could, setting off a few Filibuster Indoor Fireworks as well, and rushing from room to room trying to rouse all of their family. After years of this, people were used to the ritual and no longer made too much of a fuss about it; besides, presents were always followed with an exquisitely delicious breakfast, which was well worth getting up early for on a holiday.

There were enough presents to fill everyone’s fancy. Andrea got a new set of robes, some new quills, a myriad of Quidditch related items, some delicious sweets from Dean and Seamus and some from Neville as well, an autographed photo of the weird sisters from Sophie, a decorative little hand mirror from Hermione, a wizard deck from Neal, and then a set of muggle boxing gloves with a card signed affectionately by ‘Frank and Gene.’

By the end of the day the extended family had left the Benning Manor and Andrea’s nieces and nephews had finally worn their parents resolve down enough to let them use their new presents from Grandpa and Grandma the next day. Training brooms. Judith and Elizabeth had been horrified. Dai and Kevin had tried to be horrified as well after getting over their initial excitement and noticing their wives reactions to the brooms.

Walter had proclaimed that it was never too early to begin training for the game. Morgan had quietly reassured her daughters-in-law that the brooms were bewitched to fly very slowly, no more than three feet from the ground, and to veer away from large objects like trees or buildings. They also had a proximity charm so that they couldn’t stray very far from home. With all of the reassurances and the overabundant pleading of their children, Judith and Elizabeth decided they could let the little ones use their broomsticks.

~*~*~

On New Year’s Eve Walter and Morgan gathered around the fire in the entry way with their children. They were only waiting for Elizabeth and Judy to tuck in the children before leaving for the Wood residence. Walter worked in the same department as Mr. Wood and the Bennings had been going to their traditional New Years Eve party for years. Finally the two came downstairs. “I must admit,” Elizabeth conceded, “I was really worried about those training brooms, but after a full day on their brooms, the triplets actually go to bed without a fuss, and THAT is something I thought would NEVER happen,” she laughed.

Walter winked at his daughters-in-law, “Grandpa knows best.”

“Don’t let him fool you, it was MY idea, I raised four rowdy boys myself, not to mention quite a rambunctious little girl,” Morgan whispered to Judith and Elizabeth.

“Everyone have their brooms?” Captain Brand asked. They all nodded. “Good. Let’s go then!” He and his wife were the first to take a handful of Floo Powder and toss it into the fire. The great grandparents switched off years for who would stay behind and watch the little ones.

Next Dai and his wife, then Darren and Rachel. Roderick and Andrea followed, and then the others after them. While they were all waiting for their whole party to show up, Gran Gwen asked if Roderick would be joining the adults in the ballroom this year or not for dancing.

“No, not until seventh year,” Roderick answered. “I’ve got to keep an eye on this one here,” he put a protective arm around Andrea.

Andrea shoved him playfully away. “Torment me is more like. I will never get over that trick you pulled when I was in my second year, the first time Mum and Dad let me come.”

“Oh yeah!” Darren laughed. “I’d almost forgotten!”

The rest of her brothers started laughing as well. “What happened?” Rachel asked.

“We asked Oliver to teach her how to dance,” Darren explained.

“That’s not so bad.”

“Not if I wasn’t four years younger than him, and had a huge crush on him! I couldn’t even talk to him, and I nearly spilled my pumpkin juice all over myself when he came up and asked me to dance.”

“Oh,” Rachel said, now understanding. The four brothers were still laughing.

“You had a huge crush on me? I never knew that,” Oliver laughed, having just entered the room.

“Oh Merlin, please let me just disappear!” Andrea groaned, putting a hand over her face.

“This just gets better and better!” Darren roared, slapping his knee. Rachel slapped him up the back of his head.

Mr. and Mrs. Wood came in, just as Mr. and Mrs. Benning stepped through the fireplace. “Welcome, welcome!” Mr. Wood boomed, heartily taking Mr. Benning’s hand and shaking it.

Oliver made his way over to Andrea’s side. “I must say I’m a bit flattered that you had a crush on me.”

“HAD a crush on you,” they both laughed.

“I guess that would explain why you were as stiff as a board.”

Andrea smiled. “I couldn’t believe that the sixth year Gryffindor, captain of the Quidditch team, crush of my entire time at Hogwarts up til then, had actually asked me to dance. And I didn’t even know how!”

“You still learned rather quickly,” he offered her his arm as they all started to leave the room which they Flooed into. As embarrassing as the ordeal had been for Andrea at the time, it was actually not so bad to talk about it with Oliver now. He played Keeper for Puddlemere United and had been to the Benning Manor with the rest of the team quite often, allowing Oliver and Andrea to become friends. “I did think it was a bit odd for a second that Darren asked me to teach you, but I didn’t think too much of it.”

“Do you want to know something absolutely horrifying?” Andrea asked him, a playful gleam in her eye.

“Of course.”

“I had already decided the names of our seven children,” Andrea laughed.

Wood looked a little surprised for a minute, his ears turning slightly pink. He quickly joined in Andrea’s laughter though. “Seven you say? We had our own Quidditch team then.”

“Naturally.”

“That is a bit horrifying.”

“I told you it was horrifying. It even horrifies me that I’d planned all that. I was a silly second year with an enormous crush.”

“You’ve grown up quite a lot,” he commented. “It won’t be long before you’re as old as I am.”

“You’ll always be four years older than me,” they both laughed.

“You know what I meant.”

“I do,” she smiled. “It’s good to come to these parties and see that you’re here and you’re still close to everyone from your seventh year.”

“Almost everyone. It is nice though. Sometimes we’re not very close through the rest of the year, and some of the old group have left, but on New Year’s Eve, it’s like time stands still for a night, and everything is almost as it should be.” He had a thoughtful look on his face as they looked over and saw the knot of Oliver’s friends sitting at one of the dinner tables. “Who is your crush these days?”

“What?”

“Well, I’m curious to know who succeeded me as the future father of your own personal Quidditch team. I think I’m entitled to the opportunity of deciding if he’s suitable.”

Andrea laughed.

“Unless it’s still me,” he winked. She punched him playfully on the arm.

“No, it is not you. I actually don’t think I want seven anymore anyway; being an aunt has been quite an eye opening experience you might say.”

“But you’re not going to tell me who it is?”

“No. Oliver, you worked as a pawn for my brothers before, if they knew that I had told you who it is that I fancy, they would stop at nothing to extract that information from you so that they can use it to tease me mercilessly. I learned my lesson, and I couldn’t subject you to such dangerous information.”

They both laughed.

“Oliver!” Mrs. Wood was calling him from the entry room.

“I guess I’ll go ahead and tell you that Darren set me the task of trying to find out who your current crush is.”

Andrea’s jaw dropped. “I should’ve known!”

Oliver laughed. “I’ll see you around later.”

“See you.”

Andrea made her way out to the backyard because that is where the teenagers always gathered. She didn’t know very many people there. Now that Oliver had graduated, the younger guests were just children of Oliver’s parents’ friends. She looked for Roderick and saw that he had wasted no time in finding Sarah Edgewood. Edward was there, but he was busy trying to flirt with Katie Bell.

“Andrea?”

She turned around to see who it was that was calling her name. She was surprised to see it was none other than Terry Boot, Sophie’s Ravenclaw boyfriend.

“Hi Terry.”

“Mind if I play as your shadow for the night? I don’t really know anyone here.”

“No, not at all. I’m in the same boat as you,” she smiled. “I don’t know many people here either.”

The two weren’t very close at all, but by the time they’d shared a meal, danced a bit, and played a few rounds of Wizards and Warlocks and other wizarding games, they were becoming fast friends. The food was good, the midnight fireworks were beautiful, and the games, even though Terry and Andrea ended up on the opposite team from Adam, were exciting and fun. There was only one time when Andrea wasn’t having a wonderful time. After all the games, everyone went inside for a final two or three dances as everyone started to Floo out in turn. Andrea had had a really fun time with Terry, but as they danced, surrounded by couples, Andrea had the sudden wish for George Weasley to be there with her at that moment. At first the thought surprised her, but after a little reflection, she realized that he was more than just a crush.

The day that Fred had taken her aside and had the talk with her about how she and George fancied each other, and then George had agreed with her that they were only friends, Andrea had decided that George was no more than a crush and had decided that it was best if it remained that way. Only a crush. However, unbeknownst to herself even, she’d continued to fall for the red-haired joker. She thought of the last time she’d been with him, under the mistletoe.

~*~ The Wood’s New Year’s Eve party has been used in this story with the permission of ByMerlinsBeard. I also drew a lot from ‘Quidditch Through The Ages.’

The Library, the Lab, and the Anticipation by electronicquillster
Got the rights to HP? The answer is negatory.

Roderick and Andrea came back to Hogwarts on just a normal wizarding train to Hogsmeade about two days before the new term started. Roderick was anxious to get back and spend some time with Sarah. They’d been owling each other daily throughout the holiday, but absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder.

After spending New Year’s Eve with Terry Boot at the Wood’s party, Andrea actually felt like they were friends, and it wasn’t as awkward being around Sophie and Terry. The three of them went to the library for their last afternoon before classes started. They found one of the few couches intended to let students from other houses have a comfortable place to mingle other than the outdoors or the Great Hall. Andrea sat in the big comfy chair next to the couch, reading a novel for her Muggle Studies course while Terry and Sophie began a game of wizard’s chess. She looked up when she heard Terry’s queen begin to brutally attack Sophie’s knight. Something caught her eye, and she looked over to see Fred and George Weasley and Lee Jordan looking at some books down at the other end of one of the nearby rows of books.

She kept tabs on them out of the corner of her eye, trying to focus on her book, yet not doing too good a job of it anymore. The twins and Lee moved to a different aisle, and she could no longer see them, but she did hear Lee laugh not too far off. Fifteen minutes later Fred and Lee left the library, but not George. Sophie had caught on to what Andrea was paying attention to, and softly said, “He’s down that row of books behind you. I can see him from here.”

“Who is?” Andrea tried to play innocent.

Sophie arched an eyebrow and Terry laughed silently.

They went back to their game and Andrea went back to reading. Five minutes later, Andrea snapped her book abruptly shut. “Okay, I’ve read the same page about nineteen times now and I still don’t know what I read. Maybe I should just go talk to him. Where is he?” she asked Sophie.

“Right behind you,” Terry answered quietly, not looking at Andrea.

“Who were you looking for?” she heard George’s voice right behind her.

“Blast! How long have you been standing there?” she whispered, eyes closed.

“Long enough,” George answered.

“I have the worst luck,” she groaned. The other three all laughed.

George put his hands on her shoulders, and bent down behind her chair. “Come with me,” he whispered so that she almost didn’t hear it. A shiver ran down her spine as she turned to look at him. He was smiling, and she smiled right back at him. He stood up, held out his hand, and she took it and followed him off around the corner, grinning back at Sophie and Terry. Sophie was beaming, and Terry gave her a wink.

“Where are we going?” she asked after about five minutes of wandering out of the library and down numerous corridors that Andrea didn’t even know existed. She thought after five and a half years of living in the castle, that she knew it pretty well, but obviously she was wrong.

“Just follow me,” he answered. Then he stopped abruptly and turned to face her. “You trust me right?”

“Within reason,” she laughed. He smirked and then turned around and started walking again, still holding her hand. They stopped soon, though Andrea had lost track of which floor they were on. There was a funny statue of a very confused looking wizard with his gloves on the wrong hands. It looked very familiar. “Who’s that a statue of?” she asked.

“Oh, that’s Boris the Bewildered.”

“Sophie has a picture of, no, she used to have a picture of that up next to her bed.”

“Really? That’s odd,” he laughed.

“Where are we by the way?”

“My and Fred’s Secret Lab,” he grinned mischievously. “Bill told us about this place, the rest of the corridor is dedicated to Prefect stuff, bathrooms, common rooms, study rooms.”

“Oh,” it now made sense why Sophie would have had a picture of Boris the Bewildered’s statue. All she’d ever really wanted was to be Prefect. George was standing next to a statue of a great warthog, he pulled down on one of the tusks like one would a lever, and an array of the bricks next to it sunk in to the wall and then slid to the side, opening up a passageway.

“Come on,” he took her hand again and pulled her into the secret lab. There were a few couches, a large supply of sweets and butterbeer, some crates in one of the corners, and then on the other side of the room a bunch of cauldrons and other things that she suspected the twins used to develop their inventions.

George walked over to one of the small tables and picked up a hat that was lying there. “Watch this,” he said. He put the hat on, and his head disappeared.

Andrea gasped and then laughed. “That’s brilliant!”

He took the hat off and his head reappeared, he was smiling broadly. He plopped onto one of the couches, and Andrea sat on the other end of it, facing him.

“How’d you do that?”

“Don’t tell Fred I told you.” He told her that they’d figured out the simple charm that would work while they were trying to develop an invisibility gum, which they were still working on. They continued to talk about many things, their Christmases, though George left out a lot of what had happened, like his dad being in St. Mungo’s after being injured working for the Order and the fact that they’d stayed at Sirius Black’s house. They broke out some of the sweets and butterbeers. Fred and George kept a good stock here so that they didn’t have to run off to Hogsmeade every time Gryffindor House needed to celebrate.

An hour later George and Andrea left the Weasley’s Secret Lab, deciding they were keenly interested in having some supper. Sweets and butterbeer can only be so satisfying. George gave Andrea a long look as they made their way to the Great Hall.

“What?” she asked him, smiling at him.

“I was just curious.”

“What about?”

“Well, when I came up behind you in the library I couldn’t help overhearing when you said you wanted to come talk to me. What was it about?”

“Oh,” she said, looking ahead again, her ears turning a bit pink. “Nothing really. I just wanted to talk to you.”

She could tell without even directly looking at him that he didn’t think this was quite a good enough answer. She sighed. “I missed talking to you over the holidays.” Her cheeks were now burning and she knew they must be completely red.

George halted and put a hand on her arm to stop her from walking as well. “I missed you too,” he said, barely loud enough for her to hear. She looked up from the ground to see that he had a silly grin on his face and she smiled back at him. They just stood there for a moment, smiling at each other. Then he leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She slipped her hand into his and they walked the rest of the way down to the Great Hall.

Almost everyone was back, a few students still gone, arriving on an evening train. As they got closer to the Gryffindors, still holding hands, a few people seemed to notice and began whispering, but not too many. Most people were busy catching up with their friends about their Christmases. Neal called out to Andrea to come over and sit with him and some of the other fifth and sixth years.

“You wanna-”

“Nah, you go on, I’m going to go sit with Fred. Merlin knows I didn’t see enough of him over the holidays,” he winked.

“All right, see you later then?”

“Yeah, later.” She gave his hand a squeeze and then made her way over to Neal and the others.

When George sat across from Fred and Lee, they looked at him quizzically.

“What?”

“I think we’d better ask him.”

“I agree,” Lee said. “Who should do it?”

“I’m his brother, I’ll do it.”

George rolled his eyes. “What is it?”

“Where you in a broom closet somewhere with Andrea Benning?” Fred asked seriously.

“No! I’d like to think I’m a little more creative than that.”

“How is this going to affect the business?”

“Well, seeing as I don’t spend a good hour with different girls every night off in a broom closet snogging, I don’t think my actions will affect the business as much as yours do,” he smiled.

“Good point,” Lee laughed, as did the twins.

A little while later George watched as Andrea left the Great Hall, with Neal. He couldn’t help an icy feeling develop in his stomach. Fred and Lee hadn’t noticed anything and were surprised when George pushed his plate away and excused himself to go up to bed. He hoped he wouldn’t see Neal and Andrea as he made his way up to not his bed as he’d told Fred and Lee, but to the Room of Requirement. It was always a good place to think, or a good place to escape everyone else.

~*~*~

After looking over Neal’s Transfiguration essay and making a few corrections, and then practicing a few of the Charms she’d been having trouble with before Christmas, Andrea went straight up to the girl’s dormitories and went into her room, fully intending to drop into bed and fall asleep after a nice day. However, when she opened the door to the room she shared with Sophie and Hermione, Sophie was sitting on the edge of her bed, obviously waiting for her to come.

“You have to tell me everything that happened!” she demanded anxiously. “Where did you go? What did you do? Did you kiss?”

“What?” Hermione wheeled around on her stool in front of the vanity. “What’s all this? I didn’t know you had anything going on.”

“Well,” Andrea grinned, “It only just started right before we left for the holidays.”

“Hey, you didn’t tell me anything happened that night!” Sophie pretended to look hurt.

“Well, the two of you were asleep when I came up to bed that night weren’t you?”

Hermione and Andrea joined Sophie on her bed and Andrea launched into a modified story of what happened before Christmas, and then gave all the details of what had happened that afternoon.

“And he kissed you on the cheek? That is so cute!” Sophie sighed. They all were pretty giggly and giddy at this point.

“So you really like him then?” Hermione asked, a bit surprised, but in a good way.

“Yeah, I do. I mean, I thought it was only just a crush you know. But then at New Year’s I just realized that he really meant a lot to me, more than I thought.”

“How do you tell them apart though? They’re identical!” Sophie remarked.

“Yeah, sometimes even Mrs. Weasley can’t tell them apart, it’s rare, but it still happens,” Hermione added.

“Well, for one thing, George has this scar on the back of his neck. I guess a couple of years ago, when Oliver Wood was still captain of the Quidditch team, Fred and George were goofing off during one of his post practice speeches, and he whacked George with his broom.”

They all laughed, though Hermione looked a little concerned at such behavior. “But how do you choose one twin over the other? Physically isn’t the only way they’re identical.”

Andrea shrugged. “I don’t know. They are really similar, but they’re different as well. One time though, Fred was in detention and George just came over and asked if I wanted to play some wizard’s chess. That was a couple of years ago I guess, and we’ve just been kind of friendly toward each other ever since. One thing that’s a little different about the two is that, while they’re both really confident, George is a little more reserved about it. Fred is usually the one to speak when they’re together and talking to someone. I guess Fred’s a bit of a playboy too, obviously,” she laughed. It was now common knowledge that Fred was willing to snog any girl in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff as long as they knew there were no strings attached.

“It’s hard to describe, but as much as they’re the same, they’re also very different,” she shrugged again.

After a few more hours of chatting and catching each other up on what had happened during the holiday break, they finally retreated to their own beds and the lights dimmed.

“Andrea?” Sophie said curiously.

“Yeah?”

“Where’s your fairy? We’re missing the familiar little blue night light.”

“Oh,” Andrea laughed. “She joined the rest of the fairies on the Christmas tree this year, and then when we took the tree down and sent the fairies back to the forest near our house, Flet just kind of went along with the rest of them. Fairies aren’t too bright to begin with, and Flet was definitely not the smartest of her kind. She did just follow me home one day after all.”

They laughed quietly and then one by one, the three of them quickly dropped off to sleep.

~*~*~

Two weeks later it seemed there was only one thing on the minds of half of the Hogwarts female student population: the Valentine’s Day trip to Hogsmeade. Girls were snatching up dates here and there. Third year girls were batting their eyes furiously at their male classmates who were hopelessly confused.

Katie Bell even batted her eyelashes enough for Ed to get up the courage to ask her to spend the day with him.

When Angelina told Katie that she’d have to break off her date with Ed because the team would be having Quidditch practice that day, Katie had nearly cried. Evidently she’d been waiting for Ed to stop flirting and ask her out for about a year. When she told Ed the bad news, he looked like all of his hopes had been crushed, but then Katie had grabbed him and kissed him right there in the Great Hall.

Andrea was hoping for a date from George. Ever since they returned from holiday, they’d been spending a lot of time together. They usually ate their meals together. Andrea was invited to participate in a few of the twins pranks. They went for walks together, had a few snowball fights, and played games in the common room.

In fact, when she wasn’t being tutored by Neville, or studying with Neal, she was with George. They’d been growing really close, and while Andrea wished it was more than just friendship right now, she felt like there was still time for that later on.

Lately though, she wasn’t getting to spend as much time as she wanted to with George. Aside from her normal studying, she’d been assigned a group project in Muggle Studies. Their professor had assigned everyone into a group with a fifth, sixth and seventh year student in each group and then given them topics to work on from Muggle history. Andrea was working on the Golden Age of Piracy with Alicia Spinnet and Neal Thatcher. Neal was insisting that they spend a lot of time on their research. Andrea decided that even though Alicia didn’t seem to mind that much, she was not going to put up with this much studying. So, while they were waiting for Alicia to show up from Quidditch practice, Andrea decided it was time to give Neal a piece of her mind.

“Neal, I think we’ve got about four times more information than we need to do this project. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve actually developed quite a fascination for the subject, but I don’t like spending every other night in the library with you and Alicia when I could be doing other things.”

“Fine, you’re right, we do have enough information. But that’s not the reason I really want to study so much for this thing.”

“Well, then please give me a good reason why I shouldn’t just walk out of here right now.”

“You can’t Andrea!”

“One good reason, Neal, one good reason.”

He beckoned her to lean closer, took a deep breath, and then quickly whispered his reason in her ear. “I sort of have a really big crush on Alicia.”

Andrea laughed out loud. Madam Pince glared at her, and she sunk into her chair, stopping her laughter. “If you want to spend time with Alicia, then you don’t need me here to disturb you.”

“But you can’t leave me alone with her, I’d get too nervous. I just, I need you here so that I don’t mess things up. Just long enough that I can become good enough friends with her that I can actually think striaght. Please?” he begged.

Andrea rolled her eyes but smiled all the same. “How can I refuse a desperate friend?”

Neal exhaled in relief. “I really owe you big time.”

Just then Alicia strolled in, “Sorry I’m late. Angelina wouldn’t let up and kept us longer than I expected.”

“Oh, it’s not a big deal,” Neal said.

Andrea bit her lip to keep from laughing. It all made sense now. She would not forget this favor she was doing for Neal. Sacrificing time she could be spending developing her relationship with George so that Neal could get closer to Alicia might be worth it in the end. At least she was sure to get about two hundred percent on this class project.

~*~*~

By the time she came back from the library with Neal and Alicia, it was pretty late and most of the other Gryffindors had deserted the common room in favor of their warm beds. Andrea looked about for George, but he wasn’t there so she climbed the girl’s staircase and slipped into the fifth year’s suite. It was a Monday night, and she was completely exhausted. She didn’t know why, since she hadn’t really done anything particularly strenuous, but all she wanted to do was crawl into her bed. Perhaps it was her Monday schedule getting to her. All she ever wanted to do on Monday night was go to bed early now, but she had no such luck tonight.

“There you are!” Sophie said. “Studying awfully late tonight again.”

“It wasn’t so bad tonight,” she shrugged.

“You were with Neal weren’t you?” Lavender asked.

“And Alicia,” she added pointedly. Lavender and Parvati didn’t know much about George, so they were still holding hopes for Andrea to get back with the clever and handsome Neal Thatcher.

“Have you got a date for Valentines yet?” Parvati asked as Andrea plopped down next to her on the couch.

“No. Have any of you?”

“I’m going with Terry,” Sophie was first to answer.

“Big surprise there,” Lavender gigled. “But I’ve got a date! Justin Finch-Fletchley just asked me at dinner tonight!”

“Congrats, he’s a really nice guy,” Sophie said.

“I know, and so dreamy!” Lavender sighed.

They all laughed. “What about you Parvati?”

“I’m going with Seamus actually,” she blushed.

“Hopefully you’ll get a date too,” Lavender smiled at Andrea. “I can’t believe no one’s asked you yet. You’re definitely the prettiest girl in our year.”

“Yeah right,” Andrea laughed.

“I’m serious! Everyone knows it.”

“Well, it’s not that big of a deal if I don’t have a date anyway,” Andrea decided to brush off Lavender’s declaration that she was the prettiest girl in fifth year, it made her really self concious.

“Oh, but it totally matters!”

“Absolutely it does,” Parvati agreed. “Everyone knows that your status on Valentines Day with a guy shows how it will go the rest of the year.”

“My older sister went on her first date with this guy Andrew on Valentine’s day her seventh year, and now they’ve just gotten married,” Lavender said dreamily. “They had the ceremony this last Christmas. It was so beautiful!”

“My parents went to Hogsmeade for Valentines Day while they were at Hogwarts too,” Parvati added.

Lavender and Parvati continued to name off couples that had spent time together in Hogsmeade on Valentines Day. Andrea was starting to think that maybe this was really serious. She didn’t know if she wanted to marry George or anything, but she did know that she liked him a whole lot and would not object to having a relationship with him.

“But I’m sure someone will ask you,” Lavender concluded. “I’m going to go up to bed.”

“Me too,” Parvati and Lavender went into their bedroom.

“I had no idea that it was that big of a deal,” Sophie finally said.

“Neither did I,” Andrea was definitely growing more anxious about February 14th.

Dropping Eaves & Deciphering Reason by electronicquillster
“You know he really fancies her. I asked Andrea and she thinks it’s true.”

George stopped dead as he walked past the sixth year’s room. The door was ajar and he knew it was Edward Abercrombie talking. He held his breath as Ed continued.

"She says that's why Neal is keen on working so much on the Muggle Studies project they’ve got.”

“You know, I thought he had a thing for her again,” Roderick replied. “Even after what he did, or I guess didn’t do, with the whole situation last year. He’s not a bad guy. Hopefully he learned his lesson and won’t make the same mistake twice.”

George couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He quickly ran the rest of the way down the stairs, a sickening feeling plummeting into the pit of his stomach.

“Guess someone’s in a hurry,” Ed looked towards the doorway at the sound of the quick footsteps.

“Hope whoever it was didn’t hear us,” Roderick said, once George had passed. He gave a laugh. “Neal won’t be too happy with us if rumors start flying around the school about him and Alicia Spinnet before he even asks her out. It’s just really funny to me that he still likes her. With the exception of when he fancied my sister, he’s been pining for Spinnet since-”

“The day he saw her walk into the Great Hall to be sorted and tripped over his own robes.” They both broke into gales of laughter, remembering the incident.

~*~*~

Andrea and Neal were just coming back from the library and it was rather late. Neal had wanted to keep working on the Muggle Studies project with Alicia, but Andrea had insisted that they give it a rest for the night. She wanted to spend the rest of the evening with George. Hopefully, he would bring up the Hogsmeade trip in conversation. He still hadn’t asked her if she wanted to go with him, and she hadn’t brought it up. There’d been opportunities to, but she didn’t want to make him feel as if he had to ask her. She’d enjoy just being with him for the day even if it wasn’t a date.

Neal was still debating whether Alicia Spinnet liked him or not. They’d just reached the portrait hole, but Neal wanted to finish their conversation before they went into the ever busy common room.

Andrea sympathetically said, "I'm sure that if Alicia didn't have Quidditch practice, she would...." At this point, the portrait was swinging open. "…love to go to Hogsmeade with you tomorrow."

“Really?”

“Of course,” she smiled. She turned around, coming face to face with George. “Hey, I was just coming to find you. Are you all right?” she asked; he looked really down about something.

“Fine,” George shrugged.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’ve... I’ve got to go and meet up with Fred.”

“But it’s a Friday night,” Andrea called after George’s retreating figure. She looked at Neal. “He’s upset, isn’t he?”

Neal nodded.

"Yes, I was afraid of that. Should I go after him?”

“You could, but sometimes a bloke just needs some time alone to think. Just let him clear his head. He’ll probably be fine by tomorrow morning.”

“I guess you’re right.” They both climbed through the portrait hole and then went their separate ways for the rest of the evening.

~*~*~

George ran as fast as he could to the Room of Requirement. How could he have been so blind?

At least he was finally opening his eyes to the situation. He’d been fooling himself. Elsie had told him back in November that Neal was still really attached to Andrea. Now he had the evidence in front of him. He’d been ignoring the fact that they’d been spending so much time on that project together. It was probably just an excuse Andrea used so that she wouldn't have to tell him what was really going on. Edward and Roderick thought Neal liked her; they said it was the reason he wanted to spend so much time on the stupid project.

He’d seen them discussing things secretly at the table in the Great Hall or between classes in the corridors. He’d been so stupid. They were probably having intimate little lovers' chats, he thought bitterly. No matter, there were plenty of possibilities. He and Fred had learned numerous hexes and jinxes to use on their brother, Big Head Boy Percy, and there’s no reason he couldn’t revert to one of those. Percy and Neal were both Prefects after all. There was the Self-Odorless Body Odor which would cause Neal to stink from here to next year without him smelling a thing. Forget hexes even! There were about a hundred things he could pull out of the Wheezes inventory that could work wonderfully. First though, he needed to think. He threw open the door to the Room of Requirement and stormed in. Then he looked around. This wasn’t quite the place he’d wanted to retreat to.

There was soft music playing, an intimate fire glowing in the fireplace, a cozy love seat, some chocolates on a small table, and his twin with a girl he knew was in Ravenclaw. “Oh, sorry!” he turned to leave.

“Wait, George.”

George turned back around and saw Fred whisper something into the girl’s ear; she nodded and smiled sweetly, then gave George a supportive look as she left. The moment she closed the door, the room changed into something a bit more suitable for the brothers to lounge in.

“I didn’t mean to interrupt. If I’d known you were in here, I would have gone somewhere else,” George smirked, though he spoke in a bitter tone.

“Don’t be ridiculous. I’m glad you came. You need to talk, and my twin is more important than Miss Clearwater. Tell me what’s wrong.”

“Hold on, Clearwater as in Penelope’s sister?” George asked, stunned.

“She’s pretty nice,” Fred shrugged, “but the fact that she IS Penelope’s sister - Percy’s once, and maybe still, girlfriend - sort of puts a damper on the whole thing. Sickle for your thoughts now.”

They each sunk into an armchair, and George started sorting through his thoughts. He told Fred about what had been going on between Andrea him during the last few weeks.

“I mean, I thought things were going really well. I should’ve known though, because it's like Neal Thatcher is there every time I turn around! I don’t know. I can’t blame him because Andrea’s absolutely wonderful. She’s a lot of fun to be around, and can always make me smile.” He broke off, noticing the funny grin that Fred had plastered on his face. He looked like he was trying rather hard not to laugh. “Okay, so maybe I've gotten a little carried away. I feel like I'm completely mental.”

“Like you're skipping through a field of daisies whenever you think about her?” Fred said, bursting into the laughter he could contain no longer.

“Well, sort of,” George conceded. “But without all the skipping and daisies,” he argued. This only made Fred laugh even harder. “I told you, I'm completely mental right now!”

George simply folded his arms and shut his mouth so he wouldn't say anything else incriminating while his twin got a hold of himself. Once he'd stopped laughing, Fred was silent for a moment. “I don’t know. I just can’t think she would lead you on like this if she likes Neal. It doesn’t seem like something she would do. Maybe there’s something we’re missing.”

“Fred, I heard her say she’d love to go to Hogsmeade with him. I heard her with my own ears!”

“Our own invented Extendable Ears, or the ears you were born with?”

“The ones Mum can't really confiscate. Well, I suppose she could if she wanted...”

"Maybe Andrea just wanted a date for Valentine's Day, and she leapt at the first chance. You should have asked her sooner, or you could have just asked her, period."

George glared at his twin, knowing he was right. “Who asked you anyway?” he huffed. “Wait, don't answer that.”

“Look, George, I haven’t seen you this wound up about anything since Mum found all of our products and made us destroy them, and that was a year and a half ago. What is so special about Andrea? There are plenty of other girls here at Hogwarts, so why her?”

“She’s very beautiful, she has kind of a casual elegance,” he started, slowly.

“A ‘casual elegance?’” Fred smirked.

“I thought you wanted me to tell you why I like her. I’m just trying to think of ways to put it into words. It’s not like I’ve been rehearsing this. I don’t sit about, thinking of ways to describe to my twin why I fancy a girl.”

“All right, all right. I’ll try not to harass you about it too much.”

“So, yes,” George continued, “a casual elegance. What I mean by that is that she has the looks, but she doesn’t flaunt them like some of the girls do, and that maybe makes her even more beautiful.”

“I agree with that. She’s quite a looker, and she doesn’t even try. She easily beats out most of the other girls at Hogwarts. So what? Looks are just looks.”

“Right, I know. She’s clever. She’s not annoyingly brainy, just smart. Did you know, she’s even got Neville tutoring her in Herbology because she can’t tell a flower from a leaf, basically? Well, not that bad, but close.”

“So, she’s pretty and smart. Is there anything that actually sets her apart from all the rest?”

George smiled, “Her temper. I mean, losing your temper is not a good thing, but she’s like a slingshot. She can take a LOT. You can really push her, but the more you pull, the farther she goes when released. Merlin help you if you’re the target of her anger! She punched Potter, remember, which is something I’ve wanted to do once or twice as well.

“ Just the fact that she feels so much emotion is something else that makes her different. How many girls do we know that are merely concerned with how they look, what people think of them, and that they’ve got some guy on a string? Andrea’s really, really different in that she cares about those around her in addition to caring about herself. She can’t stand it if one of the people that is close to her is hurting. That’s something that I’ve known about her for a long time.

“She’s not afraid to stand up for herself and she’s also blatantly honest. Sometimes too honest for some people, but she always makes me laugh when that happens. She’s very comfortable with herself but she still has insecurities. Perfect people are boring and really, really annoying. She’s not perfect, but she tries to do her best. Can we be done with this conversation now? This is really, really not normal for us.”

“We’re almost done. Then we can get back to our old selves. You’ve proven that she’s not like all the other girls, that you have good reasons for being smitten--”

“Smitten?” George sniggered.

“Yes, smitten with her. Who was skipping through a field of daisies? Smitten is the only word. There’s one more question to ask. Is she worth it?” Fred asked his twin seriously. “Don’t answer though,” he added quickly. “I don’t want to know. This conversation is out of place enough already. I think it had to happen, but it’s really, really mental.”

~*~*~

Andrea really hoped that George was feeling better the next day. Even though he hadn’t asked her to go to Hogsmeade with him as a date, she hoped he’d come along with her, Edward, Neal and a few other Gryffindors who didn’t have dates either. She hoped to at least get a chance to talk to George because she didn’t really know what was bothering him. He’d seemed completely fine the night before at dinner. They’d been laughing so much that her sides were hurting to the point where she could hardly breathe. She loved being with him, even if he didn’t like her as much as she liked him. She’d sensed there were times when he had felt the same way, but maybe she’d just been imagining it.

But she hadn’t imagined the time when he’d kissed her on the cheek. She could still feel a tingle whenever she thought about it. There’d just been so much meaning in that small, simple gesture.

She saw George walk into the Great Hall and smiled at him. She wished there was a seat open next to her, but she was sitting between Dean and Sophie. She smiled at George, and he gave her a half-smile back.

George took a seat not too far from where Andrea and Ginny were sitting, but it wasn’t close enough for them to talk. George was at least glad to see to see that she wasn’t sitting next to Neal. George pulled some pancakes towards himself and wolfed them down. He was just finishing his meal when Professor McGonagall made an announcement. “All students planning on going to Hogsmeade, please assemble at the Main Entrance.” He let himself get swept up in the crowd. He stood on tiptoe to get a clear view over everyone to try to spot Andrea.

Spot her he did.

There she was, with some of the fifth and sixth year Gryffindors, laughing at something Neal Thatcher had just whispered in her ear. He scowled and turned to go back up to Gryffindor Tower. He didn’t much feel like going to Hogsmeade anymore.

Andrea spotted him as he started going up the stairs. “George! Hey George!” she yelled, making her way through the sea of students. “George!” He finally stopped and turned around at the top of the stairs; she’d just reached the bottom and started coming up. “Aren’t you coming?”

“Why don’t you just go and have a jolly good time with Thatcher, okay? I’ve got other things to do,” he said coolly and then turned on his heel, leaving a confused and hurt Andrea in his wake.

Fred noticed the look on Andrea’s face after the exchange between her and his twin. He couldn’t get away, and there was no telling where George would go, but he looked around for someone who could help. Thankfully, he saw Angelina Johnson. He grabbed her arm.

“Angelina, I need a favor.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Please?”

“Okay, I’m listening,” she said, seeing the look on Fred’s face.

“Find George and get him to come to Hogsmeade. I'm desperate here.”

“I’ve got Quidditch practice in an hour, but I’ll try.”

“I owe you big time, Angie, and so will George,” he called over his shoulder as Penelope’s sister tugged on his sleeve to get going.
Hogsmeade and the Quibbler by electronicquillster
“George,” Angelina paused as she passed the solitary figure in the corner of the common room, who was sorting through his chocolate frog cards. “What are you doing here? I thought you were going to Hogsmeade.”

“Well, I was, but the girl I like has a history with another guy and probably always will. So I came here instead, the fat lady doesn’t have a date at the moment.”

Angelina rolled her eyes. After seven years, Weasley Twin comments were old hat. “Well, that’s usually the case with history; it doesn’t just go away. But you can’t change the past, George. You know, I would never have guessed your Achilles' Heel to be a girl.”

“There’s a first for everything,” George replied.

“And let me guess, right now your girl is in Hogsmeade with the other guy, and you’re here?” George gave a solemn nod. “Well,” Angelina continued, “if she didn’t like you before, then this display of courage and dedication should definitely do the trick.”

“I’m sensing a low level of sarcasm here.”

Angelina shrugged, yet quirked an eyebrow as if to say, “look who's talking.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do?”

“Be a man. Put down your chocolate frog cards and fight for her.”

“I’m not really much of a fighter. I know Fred and I have this image, but it’s just all pranks and disregard of specific teacher’s authority. I think it’s also because I have broad shoulders-” he tried to explain.

“No,” Angelina interrupted him. “What I mean is, she can’t fall for you if you’re not there to catch her.”

He just gazed at her for a moment while this information sunk in. “That is very fairy-tale of you to say, but you’re right. What was I thinking?” He stood and gathered up his cloak, which he’d tossed aside earlier.

“It’s not your fault. You’re a boy, and so you usually don’t think.”

“Thanks!” he said, running out of the portrait hole, not at all hearing her last comment and nearly knocking over Euan Abercrombie, Edward's first year brother.

~*~*~

Wandering around Zonko’s was not what Andrea intended on doing that afternoon. It was bad enough that George hadn’t come to Hogsmeade, but now she had to be in Zonko’s Joke shop, the place that reminded her most of George. While Neal, Ed and the others scouted around, finding their favorite things and making purchases, Andrea waited near the front of the store. She was looking out the window morosely, her mood growing darker every time she saw a couple holding hands pass by. However, she wouldn't let it ruin her entire day. She looked at her watch and decided that she would only think of George for five more minutes. After that she would not think of George anymore. If only she hadn’t allowed Lavender and Parvati to make Valentine's Day seem like such a big deal.

Ten minutes later, as their entourage was leaving Zonko’s, Andrea was still thinking of George. Blast him! She just couldn’t get him out of her head. She wanted to be able to have fun, but there was a dark cloud over her whenever he wasn’t there. She followed everyone else, toward the Three Broomsticks, still trying not to think about George and failing miserably.

All of a sudden, someone grabbed her arm and pulled her into a tiny alleyway just off the bustling main road. She was too shocked to make any attempt of resistance, nor did she make any noise to alert those around her. Suddenly, she was face to face with George. Her jaw dropped. He had a different look on his face, not the jovial expression that was usually present, and it wasn’t the cold look he’d given her in the Entrance Hall either.

“George, you came!” she exclaimed, her spirits lifting significantly. “What’s the matter? Why wouldn’t you come earlier?”

He shifted uncomfortably under her gaze, moving his weight from one leg to the other. He felt nervous and a little childish.

“I feel I owe you an apology,” George said. “I’m sorry. I mean, I really like you Andrea. It’s just every time I turn around, it's you and Neal Thatcher.”

“I know,” she sighed, finally understanding. “I’m sorry, but he’s not my boyfriend. He’s not, he’s just Thatcher,” she explained, taking his hand in hers to reassure him.

“So last night when you said you’d love to go to Hogsmeade with him?”

Andrea laughed. “That’s not exactly what I told him. I was telling him that if Alicia didn’t have practice today, she would love to go with him.”

“So when I heard Ed and Rick talking about who Neal liked, it wasn’t you?”

“No,” she laughed. “It was Alicia. Eavesdropping isn’t exactly the best way to get information.”

“So,” he pulled up his courage, “Thatcher's just Thatcher, but what am I?”

“Well,” she shrugged, a shy smile on her face, “I’d like you to be my boyfriend, but you didn’t ask me to go to Hogsmeade for Valentine’s Day. Lavender and Parvati told me that the Valentine’s Day trip to Hogsmeade totally defines a prospective couple’s relationship. They would definitely know.”

“Oh, I see. So, can I ask you a question?” he smiled. “Will you go to Hogsmeade with me, today, which, if I’m not mistaken, is Valentine’s Day?”

Her smile grew wide, making George’s heart melt. Then she took a step closer to him, tilted up her head as she put a hand behind his neck, and kissed him. It was a short kiss, but very sweet.

When she pulled back, she had a sly smile on her face, and, answering his previous question, said, “Let me think about it.” They both laughed and she linked her arm with his. They went off down the street to enjoy the rest of their afternoon together.

~*~*~

“We’ve been making a lot of progress on the Daydream Charm I told you about. Well, Fred is making brilliant progress on it, I should say. He’s the one who’s been taking strides in working out the incantation. I don’t know how he does it, because we don’t actually work on it all that much in the lab. But just last night he was showing me what he’s come up with, and it’s about a hundred times better than the last time we gave it a go.”

“You said it’s an incantation right?”

“Yeah, a simple charm.”

“You say simple, but some people aren’t all that good at charms,” she’d explained that the other reason she spent a lot of time with Neal was that he was helping her with Charms while she helped with his compositions.

“The more complex the daydream is, the harder the charm will be, but right now we’ve only got three really simple ones.”

Andrea and George were walking hand in hand back to the castle for an early dinner. They’d talked about a lot of things that day, including the latest developments in the Quidditch league and some of the new product ideas that the boys had been thinking about. It had been really fun, one of the best times either of them had ever had in Hogsmeade.

“D'you remember when Fred and I bumped into you on the first day of school last September?”

“Yes,” Andrea laughed.

He loved it when she laughed; it made her eyes sparkle.

“Well, I wanted to ask you something. You said that nothing was better than riding a Firebolt. However, I was wondering if it topped this?” He put a hand on her cheek and brought her face towards his. They shared another kiss, this one longer than their first; Andrea’s stomach did flips.

Pulling away, she smiled. “You just wanted a reason to do that, but yes, I think it was better than flying a broom.”

“I didn’t really need a reason to do that; a boyfriend has the privilege of kissing his girlfriend, doesn’t he?”

“True enough, but I think you’d better kiss me again so that I can make sure it’s better than a Firebolt,” she smiled, and they kissed again.

Someone cleared their throat behind them, and George and Andrea jumped apart, blushing. Fred smiled broadly at them. “Well, well, well, it’s good to see that you two have finally gotten your acts together.” Fred slung an arm around each of their shoulders, walking in-between the couple and steering them out towards the Quidditch pitch instead of towards the castle. “So, is she a good kisser George?” giving his brother an exaggerated wink and a nudge.

Andrea laughed, blushing harder, and George flushed a deep red. “A gentlemen never tells when he’s asked by his brother if his girlfriend’s a good kisser.”

“So then it’s official?”

“Yes,” Andrea answered, “so if you don’t mind, I’d like to stand next to my boyfriend.” She smiled, pushing him Fred out of the way. George put his arm around her waist.

“All right, just don’t punch me,” Fred pretended to look scared. They all laughed. “I thought we ought to go take a look at the team practice, see how they’re faring.”

Andrea and George agreed and the three of them went to the Quidditch stadium, even though it was wet and rainy, but seeing as they’d already made their way through the rain, it didn’t bother them much.





“What’s this that Umbridge has posted now?” Sophie stopped to look at yet another new Educational Decree. Number twenty-seven. “‘Any student found with a copy of The Quibbler will be expelled,’” she read aloud.

“If Snape asks where I am, tell him I wasn’t feeling well and went to the Hospital Wing,” she told Sophie as she started walking the opposite way of the dungeons.

“What are you talking about? Where are you going?”

“To get the latest edition of The Quibbler.” Andrea hurried along the corridors. When she was finally outside of the Transfiguration classroom, Andrea hid behind a statue of Claudette Merkel the Mystical, waiting and watching for the people she needed to come this way from their Charms class. She didn’t have to wait long.

Fred, George, and Lee were in a heated discussion about Quidditch.

“Hey!” Andrea called in a loud whisper as they were about to pass her. They looked over and all smiled at her as they joined her behind the statue in the little alcove. Over the past few weeks, Fred and Lee had made it no secret that they wholeheartedly supported George and Andrea’s relationship.

“I want a copy of The Quibbler” she got right down to the point before they could even ask. “You know how to get to Hogsmeade don’t you?”

“Well, yeah, of course we do,” Fred stated as if this was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Let’s go then.”

“Great, I’m always up for Hogsmeade,” Lee smiled.

“Too bad you can’t go,” Fred said.

“Why not?”

“If all three of us miss Transfiguration, McGonagall will know something is up,” George explained. “You’ve got to go to class and tell her that Filch is making us clean up our latest explosion.”

“But why me?” he whined. “Why not you, Fred?”

Fred answered him as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “It wouldn’t make sense that George would make mischief without me. Besides, it’s the girlfriend of MY brother, not yours. Sorry mate,” he slapped Lee on the back.

“Fine.”

“It’ll be a lot easier to get some quality time in with Angelina without these two around bugging you,” Andrea pointed out with a hearty wink.

“You’re quite right. I hadn't thought of that,” Lee smiled and laughed. “Off with you then.”

“Hey, meet us in the Lab after class though,” she told him.

“What’s in your head anyway, Benning?”

“Come round and you’ll see for yourself, Jordan.”

“You know about the Secret Lab?” Fred hissed as they slipped into the nearest secret passage.

“Um, yeah...” She bit her lip, looking to George.

“Oh come off it. She IS my girlfriend, after all” George said.

“Oh yeah, forgot that bit for a moment. I just get a little overprotective when it comes to the Secret Lab.”

They used the One-Eyed Witch passageway and found themselves in the basement of Honeyduke's in no time. Fred was to find a copy of The Quibbler and then meet the other two in the Three Broomsticks. In the meantime George and Andrea went into the nearest writing supply store. Andrea bought two dozen Quick Copy Quills and a thick stack of parchment. After the wizard behind the counter handed Andrea’s sack of purchases to her, she and George made their way to the Three Broomsticks.

Madam Rosmerta gave George a questioning look, knowing full well he wasn’t supposed to be anywhere other than Hogwarts Castle at the moment, but she had a rather soft spot for the Weasley twins and let it slide. He ordered a couple of Butterbeers and then went over to a small table in the corner with Andrea. He hadn’t spoken much since they’d left the castle. He knew what was in The Quibbler. Did Andrea know? If she did know it was an article about Harry, then what was she doing?

After watching the Gryffindor team practice on Valentine’s Day, he and Fred had spoken about it with Harry and Hermione. Andrea had been there as well, but you wouldn’t have known it from the conversation. She didn’t say one word while they were around Harry. George had been watching Andrea ever since. She hardly even looked at Harry. She shared a room with Hermione, and George could see that they were good friends. Even so, Andrea rarely spoke to Hermione when Harry was near. Now and then he saw Andrea and Ron exchange a few pleasantries, but nothing more.

“What?” Andrea broke into his thoughts. He’d been staring at her without realizing it. “Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

“Um, nothing that I can think of. Should there be?”

Their conversation was interrupted by the appearance of Fred, who brought some sandwiches over for the three of them from the bar. He tossed The Quibbler to Andrea. “One of the last copies in Hogsmeade. I had to fight off some loony who tried to grab it out of my hands.”

“Thanks,” she smiled and then the three quickly ate their lunch in relative silence. Andrea flipped through the magazine’s pages, found the article, read it and then closed it. They paid the bill, and then dashed back into Honeyduke's.

~*~*~

When they’d reached the Secret Lab, Andrea scattered the parchment around and started bewitching the Quick Copy Quills to write Rita’s article on Harry.

“Do you two know how to bewitch parchment so that certain people can’t read it? Umbridge and the Inquisitorial Squad, for example.”

“Sure we do,” Fred answered. “Couldn’t let Mum find any of our product notes. Two summers ago she found the lot and burned it all. We had to start over from scratch.”

“Excellent, get cracking then.”

Lee showed up then and started on the task of bewitching parchment with Fred as different quills came to an end of their task. George helped Andrea to reset the quills with new bits of parchment. By the time lunch was almost over there were almost two hundred copies of Rita Skeeter’s interview with Harry. Andrea gathered up the lot, thanked the boys for helping her, gave George a kiss on the cheek, and then left.

The next time George saw Andrea was at dinner. Practically the whole school had read the article, and Andrea was approaching Luna Lovegood. George followed her, coming to a halt behind her. Andrea pulled a sack out of her school bag and handed it to Luna explaining that she’d made copies of the article, and distributed them around, collecting a bit of money. “Tell your dad I’m sorry about copying all of them, but this should compensate.”

“I don’t think he’ll mind terribly,” Luna said in her dreamy voice, as the sack jingled in her hand. “Daddy says this is the best selling issue he’s ever printed.”

“That’s really great,” Andrea smiled. “Have a good night, Luna.”

Andrea turned around and smirked at George.

“Why’d you do it?” he asked.

“Well, I think that Mr. Lovegood would want compensation for so many copies of his article being distributed.”

“Not that. Why did you distribute the copies in the first place?”

“Harry has enough bad press, it’s high time everyone read the truth, even if some of them still don’t believe it.”

“I know, and that’s great that you did it, but you hate Harry.”

“I don’t hate Harry,” she scoffed. Before George could pursue his inquiry any further, Andrea turned and walked towards the Gryffindor table and took a seat next to Sophie, Roderick, Edward, and Katie. George was determined not to simply let this drop, but as he took a seat on Andrea’s other side, he realized the conversation was about Quidditch. He was powerless not to talk about it. He also knew that if Andrea was going to tell him anything about her issues with Harry, it would be when they were alone. He did at least admire that about her; she refused to gossip about others. It would also make it that much more difficult to get her to tell him what exactly the deal was.
The First Break-up by electronicquillster
Don’t the people and things you can find in other people’s stories, including JK Rowling’s....

Previously in “The Lightning Bond”: Andrea and George finally got together. A couple of weeks later, Andrea recruited Fred and George to help her make underground copies of Harry's interview in the Quibbler to distribute to all of Hogwarts. George was a bit suspicious because Andrea and Harry aren't friends whatsoever.

~*Beginning excerpt in italics taken from Order of the Phoenix, American Edition Page 584*~


Harry was a hero in the Gryffindor common room that night; daringly, Fred and George had put an Enlargement Charm on the front cover of The Quibbler and hung it on the wall, so that Harry’s giant head gazed down upon the proceedings, occasionally saying things like “The Ministry are morons” and “Eat dung, Umbridge” in a booming voice. While it seemed that almost every Gryffindor had asked Harry to relive his interview a million times, George couldn’t help but notice that one person didn’t come within twenty feet of Harry.

Andrea sat in the corner all evening working on her Potions essay. She would occasionally look up, glancing at Harry, but George couldn’t exactly read the look on her face. It seemed to be a look that held a mixture of satisfaction and regret at the same time. George strode across the room and came up behind her. He leaned down and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Want to go for a walk?” he asked.

“This essay won’t write itself,” she said, turning her head to look at him.

“It can wait.”

“So can you, George,” she smirked.

“True,” he smirked right back at her, “but I’m more impatient and much more persuasive than a ruddy piece of parchment.” With that he gave her a sound kiss on the lips that left her a little breathless.

“Blast, George!” she slammed her Potions book closed and stood up. “Where exactly are we going?”

“Wherever we end up,” he replied, triumphantly taking her hand. He led her off through the portrait hole, and they wandered around for a bit, finally coming to a stop at the end of a deserted corridor.

There was a large window that overlooked the grounds of Hogwarts. It was a clear night; the grounds were lit by the moon. George wrapped an arm around Andrea’s shoulder, and she leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder. They spoke in soft tones about random things for a few minutes, then George decided he’d waited long enough. He moved his arm from around her and turned so he was facing her.

Andrea squirmed on the inside. She had a feeling she knew what was coming. George had been hinting at it all day, and she felt like he’d been gathering information ever since that night they talked to Harry in the common room on Valentines Day. However, she maintained a cool exterior as George brushed a lock of her jet black hair behind her ear.

“What is it, George?”

“Andrea, over the years Harry has become like a brother to me, and I’ve had enough. I want answers. I’ve been watching you, and unless you speak to him in lessons, then I’m pretty confident in betting my broomstick that you don’t talk to him at all.”

“I talk to him,” she answered, looking at George’s elbow instead of his face.

“You do? When?”

“I talked to him the day I punched him,” she offered, raising her head defiantly.

He crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.

“I also talked to him when we had our detention together.”

“Is that it?”

“No actually. We were paired by Flitwick once during Charms in our first year. What does it matter to you anyway?”

“I’m just trying to understand. What you did today with the Quiddler doesn’t add up at all with your track record with Harry. Three conversations in almost five years of being at school with him, in the same year, in the same house? Yet you skip class so that you can make sure everyone can read his interview? What’s the deal, Andrea?”

“I... well, Harry... I told you before Christmas that it’s complicated, okay?”

“Why won’t you just tell me?”

“I can’t. I just... can’t.”

“Don’t you trust me?”

“Of course I do!” she looked directly into his eyes to emphasize the point that she really did trust him. “George, I’ve never even told Sophie why. There aren’t more than ten people who have ever known, and two of them aren’t alive anymore.” Andrea took a deep breath and looked out the window again as she continued, “I found out something my first year at Hogwarts. Dumbledore called me into his office, and what he told me turned my whole life upside-down; it was something that made me hate Harry. It shouldn’t have made me hate him, but it did. I hated him until fourth year.”

George was surprised by what she was telling him, and he burned with curiosity to know just what this information was.

“Then, I don’t know why, but things happened that just made me rethink my opinion of Harry. I don’t hate him anymore, I respect him, and if anything I’m almost a little afraid of him.”

George waited for her to continue, but she didn’t. After a couple minutes of silence, he couldn’t stand the waiting any longer. “What did Dumbledore tell - ”

His words were cut off by her lips meeting his. After she broke the kiss, she looked into his eyes. “It’s something that I have to tell Harry first. You’ll find out soon enough. It’s nothing that can’t wait.”

“But Andrea - ” George started again, only to be cut off with another kiss. Just as he had decided to give up his questioning for the night and finally wrapped his arms around her waist, she turned her head and broke it off. She didn’t move out of his arms though. George could feel that she’d grown really tense. He planted a small kiss on her cheek and then rested his forehead against the side of her head. “Andrea, is something wrong?” he whispered in her ear. He could feel that something had happened.

“I... I don’t know.” She turned her head and looked into his eyes, searching it seemed. She bit her lip anxiously. “George, do you ever, I don’t know, feel that things are happening somewhere else? That you’re sort of linked to someone that’s close to you, and you can just tell when something is wrong?”

He was caught off guard by this question. “I guess. One time Fred had this girlfriend, and when she broke up with him it was like I knew what happened before he came back and told me. I kind of felt a sort of sympathy pain for him I suppose. Is something... Do you have that with your brothers?”

“Yeah, sort of.”

“Is that what happened just now?”

She nodded.

“Do you think it’s Roderick?”

“Oi! What are you two doing?” Someone, a girl, yelled down the corridor at them. “Fred, who’ve you got with you this time?”

It was Sophie’s sister, Barbara Smethwyck, the Head Girl; the Head Boy, Steven Lance from Hufflepuff, was trying to keep up with her as she sped down the corridor towards Andrea and George. They were obviously out on their patrol duty.

“Begging your pardon, Barbara, but I’m not Fred,” George smiled, still looking at Andrea, who just laughed.

“Oh, sorry, George. Hi, Andrea. I guess I’ll let it slide this time around, but only as long as you head straight back to the common room; it’s getting pretty late.”

“Sure thing, Barbara. We didn’t realize how late it was,” Andrea smiled at the Head Boy and Girl. “Thanks for the break.” She took George’s hand and quickly led him back toward Gryffindor tower.

“How did you get us out of that? Anytime Barbara has caught me and Fred, which hasn’t been very often, mind you, she’s always given us detention.” George was in awe.

“Well, in part because I’m her sister’s best friend, but also because I’m not a notorious trouble maker like you.”

~*~*~

Nothing unexpected happened until the middle of the March. When the students and teachers awoke on Saturday morning, it was to an extremely violent thunderstorm. The wind was howling, and there were crashes of thunder every few minutes. There was the faintest trace of sunlight, but not enough to eliminate the need for torches and candles to keep the school fully illuminated.

It didn’t seem natural to Andrea to wake up and have it still be so dark. She rolled out of bed and showered before leaving the dormitory. She didn’t see any of the other girls. It wasn’t that Andrea slept in extremely late. On the contrary, it was only 9:30 when she started down the stairs into the common room. For some unknown reason, all four of the other girls were just extremely early risers - even on weekends. At the bottom of the staircase, Andrea was tackled to onto the nearest couch by a couple of people.

Roderick and Edward were laughing maniacally as they squished her. “Get off! Get off!” she cried.

“We’re staging an intervention,” Roderick informed her.

“What are you talking about?” Andrea grinned, wriggling out from under the boys and sitting up.

“We hardly know each other any more,” Ed explained. “Remember the good old golden days of summer? Back at Benning Manor, when it was just the four of us?”

“It certainly is a fuzzy memory,” Sophie stated from an armchair next to them.

“We all got ourselves some significant others, and so it’s time to take a break for just a day,” Roderick said.

“Well, maybe not an entire day,” Ed clarified, and Andrea laughed, seeing that he was looking across the room at where Katie was sitting with some of her friends.

The four went down to breakfast together, laughing all the way through the gloomy halls. There was a lot to catch up on really, as they realized when there was never a break in the conversation. The boys had said that they were going to play Exploding Snap after breakfast, but they decided to forego those plans. Exploding Snap required concentration, and there were far too many stories to catch up on, so they settled for finding a deserted corridor and conjuring up some comfortable seats.

They sat around talking and laughing for a few hours, their conversation punctuated by numerous thunder claps. Finally, Sophie, Roderick, Edward and Andrea decided to make their way to the Great Hall for a late lunch.

They’d only just sat down and started dishing up steaming bowls of stew when someone spoke from behind them. “Andrea, Roderick.”

The siblings turned around to see Madam Hooch standing there. She didn’t wait for them to speak. “Your brother, Darren, fell off of his broom today during his match - ”

Andrea and Roderick immediately burst into a gale of laughter. But Madam Hooch didn’t smile in the slightest, and they quickly quieted down. “He was injured quite badly. At your parent’s request, and with Professor Dumbledore’s permission, I am to escort you into Hogsmeade, and we will go from there by Floo to St. Mungo’s.”

“Will he be all right?” Andrea asked. Her voice conveyed the fear and confusion she felt at hearing about the obviously serious situation.

“I don’t know. The latest I heard was that he was still in critical condition.”

“Let’s go then,” Roderick said, his jaw set. They followed Madam Hooch to the Entrance Hall, people from all the houses watching who happened to be eating late lunches as well. When they reached the door, Andrea and Roderick’s cloaks, scarves, and gloves were there ready for them, no doubt brought down by the house elves. After Madam Hooch murmured a quick incantation to repel the rain while they made their way through it, they left the castle and made their way to the village.

~*~*~

Madam Hooch stayed with Andrea and Roderick almost constantly from the moment they left Hogwarts until they returned that evening. It was a relief to finally come in and shut the storm out behind them. The bitter rain, howling winds, and constant bolts of lightning and claps of thunder had not ceased all day. Madam Hooch bid the Bennings a good night, and Andrea and Roderick were about to head for steaming hot showers and dry clothes when they heard voices coming from the usually vacant room off of the entrance hall. The only time people congregated there was when the first years were put there to wait for their sorting. As the two got closer, they recognized the voices drifting softly towards them. Roderick went straight in, and Andrea followed right behind him.

They smiled when they saw Fred and Edward locked in a game of Wizard Chess. However, it wasn’t an ordinary game of chess, even by wizard standards. The player who wasn’t moving pieces on the chess board had to try and build a castle with their own deck of Exploding Snap cards, and you could only work on it when it wasn’t your turn. Not only did you have to worry about achieving the perfect balance for your structure, you had to worry about when the whole thing would explode.

Others were watching too, and there was no question that watching the game was just a distraction from the wait for the Bennings to return. Besides Fred and Edward, Sophie and Terry were there along with one of Terry’s mates named Will Fendley, as well as Katie Bell, Lee Jordan, Lavender and Parvati, Neal Thatcher and even Neville, Dean and Seamus.

However, Andrea immediately noticed that George wasn’t around.

Everyone looked up when they came in. There were greetings and inquiries expressed all at the same time, and then Andrea felt someone tug on her elbow. She turned around and was greeted with George’s concerned face. He’d been sitting in a chair right by the door, and Andrea hadn’t even noticed because of the shadowy light in the room, a fire in the fireplace being the only source of illumination. They embraced while Roderick began to tell the others what had happened.

George drew back slightly from Andrea so he could look her in the eyes. He could see that even though she was putting on a brave face, she’d been through a lot today. “Come on,” he said softly, and took her hand to lead her out of the room.

It took a while to get through all of Hogwarts’ numerous hallways to reach the spot that George had in mind, and it was a quiet trek as well. Andrea finally spoke when they were on the seventh floor, in a corridor she’d never been through before. She broke her silence because George had dropped her hand and started pacing back and forth in front of a tapestry depicting a wizard trying to teach a bunch of trolls how to ballet dance.

“Er, George? Why are we stopping in the middle of this hallway?”

George made one more pivot and took a few more steps, then turned to face her. Smiling, he turned her around, and she watched as a door materialized in the wall in front of them. George took the handle, and pulled the door open. “After you.”

Tonight the Room of Requirement was very small. There was a plush couch in front of a crackling, wood-burning stove. It was snug and warm and there was hot butterbeer for them along with a tray of warm roast beef sandwiches.

After the food and drink were gone, the two curled up together on the couch, George just holding Andrea close to him, her head resting on his chest. He softly kissed the top of her head, and she sighed. Andrea’s long, black hair had been in a braid all day, and George let it loose, stroking it down her back as she sat there with him. They didn’t speak, and while George could tell Andrea wasn’t asleep, he knew that she just needed it to be silent between them. Because of his own experience over Christmas, George could understand Andrea’s need to just sit with people you cared about in peace and quiet after spending the day at the hospital.

It was getting late getting late, after midnight in fact. George registered that Andrea’s breathing was much deeper than it had been a quarter of an hour before. After midnight, he thought. Wait, that means it’s...

He gently shook Andrea, who looked up at him with her sleepy hazel eyes. “Happy monthiversary,” he smiled.

“Monthiversary?” Andrea mumbled, furrowing her eyebrows and thinking for a moment. Then she gasped. “Monthiversay? It’s been a month since Valentine’s!” She smiled back at him and then tilted her head to kiss him sweetly. “I love that you’re cute and sentimental enough to remember our monthiversary.”

With that, they left to get back to Gryffindor Tower; George insisted that she needed to sleep. At the foot of the stairs leading up to the girls’ dormitories, George and Andrea shared another sweet, yet short, kiss. “Thanks for taking care of me tonight, just letting me sit with you,” Andrea said softly.

He kissed her forehead, “It’s nothing less than you deserve, Andy. Have sweet dreams.”

“You too,” she whispered and then planted a small peck on his cheek before turning and running up the stairs. “Good night,” she called as she went.

“Good night.” George turned around, hearing the portrait hole swinging open. “Hey, Roderick.”

“You can call me Rick. I still think you’re all right as long as you haven’t taken advantage of my sister in any way.” The two had always been friendly, though not necessarily friends.

“Just Rick then,” George said, his ears only turning the faintest shade of pink.

“Good to hear,” Rick slapped George on the back and smiled, though George could see the smile was strained.

“Something wrong?” George asked tentatively.

“Broke up with Sarah tonight,” he said flatly. “I sort of knew it was coming. Past couple of weeks have just been...” he trailed off. “There’s just not really any interest left on either side lately. That’s why I planned the day for the old gang,” he shrugged. “When she wasn’t there with everyone else tonight, I knew that sealed the deal.”

George could tell that Roderick hadn’t really meant to say even that much but had needed to. “More time for Exploding Snap,” George suggested.

Roderick gave a genuine laugh. “You’re absolutely right. I KNEW you were a smart bloke. Thanks for listening. I think I’ll just sit down here for a bit.”

“Right then. Night, Rick.”

“Night, George,” Roderick said as he collapsed into one of the large comfy armchairs in front of the fire. “You are George, right?”

“Yeah,” George laughed as he went up to his room and fell into bed.


~*~If you would like to receive an email next time I update (which should be very soon...), then just go to my author profile and hit “contact,” and I’ll get you a notice.~*~
Mooncalves and Dungbombs by electronicquillster
Here is some background information that you may find useful whilst reading this chapter. It’s an excerpt from “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” by Newt Scamander aka JK Rowling:


Mooncalf
Ministry of Magic Classification: XX (harmless; may be domesticated)


The Mooncalf is an intensely shy creature that emerges from its burrow only at the full moon. Its body is smooth and pale grey, it has bulging round eyes on top of its head, and four spindly legs with enormous flat feet. Mooncalves perform complicated dances on their hindlegs in isolated areas in the moonlight. These are believed to be a prelude to mating (and often leave intricate geometric patterns behind in wheatfields, to the great puzzlement of Muggles).


Watching Mooncalves dance by moonlight is a fascinating experience and often profitable, for if their silvery dung is collected before the sun rises and spread upon magical herb and flowerbeds, the plants will grow very fast and become extremely strong. Mooncalves are found worldwide.





She woke up as she tried to to shift into a more comfortable position in her chair. Oh no, she thought, why am I sleeping in a chair? Looking around, she could see through the dim light that she was not in the Gryffindor dormitories or even in the common room but still in the library. She’d been studying for N.E.W.T.s, completely lost track of time, and fallen asleep.


Quickly and quietly, she gathered up her books and parchment and stuffed them into her school bag. Madam Pince usually made rounds before curfew to wake any sleepers, but evidently she didn’t take the time to check the upper lofts tonight. The library was almost eerie, but in a very serene way, at this hour of the night. She climbed down the ladder from the study loft. Looking at her watch, she saw it was well after one in the morning. She ran quickly between the rows of shelves and past the tables, out of the library and down the halls.


She thought she heard someone behind her and turned her head to look. There was no one there, but as she turned the corner, she ran into someone and fell down on her back.


“I don’t much appreciate you knocking into me, Bingham. Out a bit late, aren’t you?”


Emeline looked up from where she was sprawled on the floor to see Draco Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle.


“No later than you,” she sneered, sitting up.


“True, Amelia.”


“It’s Emeline,” she corrected automatically.


“Whatever, Bingham. The point is I can do pretty much anything I want as long as no one knows I’m breaking any rules since I’m a prefect. For you, it’s a different story. I do not believe you’re a Prefect. Now, I could give you detention, but the worst I can give you is lines. So, Crabbe, Goyle, if you will,” he motioned toward Emeline Bingham.


She tried to scoot away, but the two burly boys reached out and pulled her up by the arms. Hoisting her a few inches off the ground, they carried her over to one of the nearby staircases, finally depositing her right into one of the sinking stairs. Malfoy pulled out his wand, “Petrificus Semular.” Emeline’s arms were now pinned to her sides.


“Malfoy, let me out!” Emeline bellowed. She had already sunk in past her ankles and was quickly sinking even farther.


“There’s no harm done, you know they’re enchanted to stop at your shoulders. Pity, but true nonetheless. "This way I can tell someone with a little more authority”or in other words someone with clearance to give harsher punishments”that I thought I heard someone out while I was doing my rounds for the evening.”


“You can’t do this! Get me out!”


Crabbe and Goyle merely laughed as they followed Malfoy away from the staircase.


“Have a good night, Bingham,” Malfoy lazily called back to her.


Being caught in the stair itself wasn’t the only problem. Sinking stairs were extremely cold. Angry tears stung her eyes and streamed down her face. This was completely horrible. Snape, Filch, or Umbridge would undoubtedly find her. Malfoy would make sure of it, and, as she began to shiver, she couldn't quite imagine who out of the three would give her the worst punishment.


~*~*~


While Andrea was dismal in Herbology and had to work extremely hard to master Charms, there was one thing beside Quidditch that fascinated her and that she picked up easily. That was Astronomy. She loved nothing more than to look at the stars, study their patterns, marvel as they moved, and wait for them to come back to their once familiar positions at different times in the year. Andrea had always gotten on extremely well with Professor Sinistra because of this passion. That and the fact that they were both left-handed, sharing woes such as always bumping elbows with neighboring people at the dinner table and having to buy a special, instantly dry ink that would not smudge while one was writing with it. These connections are what made Andrea and the professor so fond of each other, and it was that fondness which made Professor Sinistra understand and accomodate Professor Sprout’s extra-credit project for Andrea.


She needed to watch the Mooncalves dance, collect some of the magical manure they left behind, then write an essay about the special properties the manure held and how they benefited plant life. This dance only occured on the full moon, and the full moon happened to coincide with one of Professor Sinistra’s lessons for the fifth years, so she gave Andrea permission to do the Herbology assignment that evening instead.


The Trouble Twins decided to keep Andrea company on her little Herbology project. Fred was convinced that the droppings left behind by the Mooncalves could also be used for the development of some new products. George was convinced that would be an excellent way to spend an evening with Andrea.


Nothing of consequence happened while they were out on the grounds, other than the spectacular event of watching the Mooncalves. It truly was a beautiful thing to behold. Fred offered to collect the remains for Andrea, which gave her and George a bit of time to themselves. After the magical manure had been collected, they headed back to the castle. Fred went ahead of the other two to keep an eye out for trouble and so he could give the golden couple some space. Most of the time, he was fine around them, but on occasion, they got into this extremely nauseating “cute couple” mode, and it made him want to ram his head against a wall. Tonight was one of those nights.


He looked over his shoulder at George and Andrea. At that moment, George was whispering something into Andrea’s ear that made her smile. His brother was definitely one lucky dog. Fred didn’t really want that sort of thing at this point in his life, but he did plan on eventually settling down. He wouldn’t, however, admit that to anyone any time soon, let alone himself. And so it was that he was taken completely by surprise when he saw that there was someone stuck in the upcoming staircase. The hallway was dark enough that he couldn’t tell who it was. He immediately pulled out his wand, and muttered, “Lumos.


He couldn’t help but laugh out loud when he recognized who it was. “Well, well, well, this is a surprise, Miss Bingham. Fancy seeing you here.”


“Oh, shove off,” she groaned.


“Manners, Mel. I’m here - to rescue you, no doubt - and you tell me to shove off?”


“Sorry, it’s just not the most comfortable place to be, and I’ve been here for probably an hour.”


“I understand. If you don’t mind me asking though, how exactly did you end up stuck there? Every Gryffindor, including Longbottom, knows to jump that stair.”


“Malfoy and his trolls forced me here, you dolt!”


“Did you just call me a dolt?”


“Fred!”


“Mel, here I am, a knight in shining armor, if you will, trying to help a darling damsel out of a distressing stair of quick sand, and you call me a dolt? Besides, you’re sort of distorting the truth. While those two in Malfoy’s gang resemble trolls, I think they’re much worse.”


“You are just taking the opportunity to tease me mercilessly,” she replied spitefully.


At that moment, she truly was saved because George and Andrea had reached them. They immediately freed Mel from the stair; Fred watched with a smirk on his face.


“You’re freezing, Mel!” Andrea cried as she started vigorously rubbing her hands up and down Emeline’s arms to try to get the blood flowing more quickly.


“How long have you been in that stair?” George asked.


“Too long, but I’m not sure exactly, maybe an hour,” she answered, her teeth chattered violently.


“Here,” Fred stepped forward with a heavy blanket he’d just conjured. He wrapped it around her shoulders.


“Do you think you can walk back to the common room?” Andrea asked.


“Well,” Emeline hesitated. It felt like her limbs had pretty much frozen up on her.


“Don’t worry about it, we’ll get you back,” Fred said, and with one swift motion, he scooped her up, blanket and all, into his arms. He winked at her as he whispered, “Told you I was being a knight in shining armor tonight.” George and Andrea led the way back to the common room. George merely rolled his eyes at his brother’s performance, but Andrea couldn’t help logging it away for later.


“So, Mel, what exactly happened to you?” George asked, looking back over his shoulder. He had his arm wrapped around Andrea’s waist again. Mel explained her trauma with the Slytherins. When she finished, George and Fred shared a dark look, both of them furrowing their brows in thought.


“Kind of funny, or not so much funny as it is strange, that Snape or Umbridge or Filch hadn’t already found you, then,” Andrea surmised.


“Just what we were thinking,” Fred agreed.


“We rarely get caught,” George continued.


“But we usually have someone on our tails in no time.”


“It’s half the excitement, the getaway,” George clarified.


It didn’t take them much longer to get to the entrance of Gryffindor tower; Andrea gave the password and led the group through the portrait hole. “HA! There’s the escapist!” Umbridge’s voice froze them in place. They weren’t in plain sight of the fire yet, but they knew that her head was sitting in it, anxiously waiting to catch her prey. “Now, come out, come out,” she coaxed in her sickeningly sweet voice. “We can do this the easy way, and you can just come get your punishment right now; or you can wait there until morning and I’ll simply figure out who you are by your extreme exhaustion during the day tomorrow.”


Andrea stepped forward, signaling the others to stay back with a flick of her hand. “Er, Professor Umbridge, I don’t really know what the matter is. I mean, yes I’m a little late on my way back from Astronomy, but Professor Sinistra had to go over part of my star chart with me for some revisions, so she kept me after.”


While Andrea kept Umbridge occupied, George silently maneuvered his way over to the side of the fireplace. He climbed onto one of the nearby chairs, and up onto the large mantelpiece.


“Oh, well, off to bed with you then, I’m waiting for”” she broke off when a bottle of ink, which had been knocked by George's foot, fell off the mantelpiece and smashed right in front of her face. “What was that?”


“Someone’s cat just jumped onto the mantelpiece,” Andrea quickly lied.


“Oh. Well, go on to bed, Miss Benning. Don’t expect to laze about in my class tomorrow simply because you were up late from Astronomy.”


“I wouldn’t dream of it,” she muttered as she turned on her heel and met George at the bottom of the staircases.


“Wait here,” he whispered and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before dashing up the boy’s staircase. Less than two minutes later he was back, armed with a dung bomb. Fred and Emeline, who was still in Fred’s arms, watched from the other side of the room. A moment later, Umbridge let out a hideous scream, her face covered with the explosion of a dungbomb landing in the fire. There was a pop and she was gone. In the wake of her absence, the four started laughing hysterically.


“That should take care of the toad for tonight,” George smiled.


“Scourgify,” Andrea pointed her wand into the fireplace to get rid of the remnants of the explosion.


Fred carried Emeline over to one of the couches near the fireplace so she could warm up.


“We’ll just leave you two,” Andrea said, taking George’s hand in hers.


“Thanks for the help,” Mel smiled.


“Think nothing of it,” George replied. He and Andrea walked towards the staircase and said their goodnights to each other, leaving Fred and Emeline alone.


“You don’t have to stay down here with me, Fred. You’re probably really tired.” Emeline was staring into the fire, but Fred didn’t leave. Instead he plopped down onto the couch next to her and draped his arm around her shoulder.


“I’ve got to make sure you get nice and comfortable again,” Fred said matter-of-factly. “Unless you want me to go,” he said the last bit slowly.


“Oh, no, I’d love for you to stay.”


“I will then,” he smiled, not one of his usual proud, teasing, mischievous smiles, but a small, tender one. They sat in silence for a long time after that. Fred actually suspected that Emeline was falling asleep because she had rested her head on his shoulder, but he didn’t mind it at all. Fred was itching to ask her something, and finally, he just let it slip from his mouth. “Mel, why don’t you have a boyfriend?”


“Huh?” her head snapped up, not feeling sleepy anymore.


“Well, I mean, you’re very pretty and sweet and smart and fiery. You’ve got to have guys lined up waiting for a chance to go out with you.”


“I don’t know. None of them are people I want to be with.”


Fred looked into her eyes, and he didn’t know exactly what made him do it (probably being around George and Andrea so much), but he was leaning his head in towards hers, closing his eyes, holding his breath.


The moment before their lips met seemed to hang in the air forever, and then the moment was broken by the sound of someone coming downstairs from the dormitories. Emeline turned her head away from his, and Fred looked over his shoulder, blushing, to see Andrea approaching them. She had a bit of a smirk on her face and was raising an eyebrow in question. “I remembered I had some Pepper Imps in my trunk and thought you’d appreciate them, Mel.”


Emeline turned, and Andrea tossed the bag to her. She caught it and smiled, “Thanks, Andrea.”


“Don’t mention it,” she called over her shoulder as she hurried back up the stairs.


Mel polished off a few of the hot candies, while she and Fred chatted about how much they hated Umbridge, Slytherins, and the like. Then there was a pause as Mel threw the empty paper bag into the fire. She stood and so did Fred. “That did the trick.”


“All better then?”


“Other than a bit of a stiff feeling, nothing that some sleep shouldn’t take care of.” They walked over to the staircases.


“Thanks for sitting with me Fred, it was nice. And thanks for helping me back to the common room.”


“My pleasure,” he said, finding himself going in for the kiss again, not knowing why.


He was surprised, though, when Mel turned her head and he met her ear instead of her lips. “Come on , Fred. You’ve kissed far too many girls to be able to kiss me.”


He quickly recovered his shock and a touch of embarrassment, “Your loss, then.”


“Both of ours, I guess,” she looked, it seemed to Fred, almost a little sad, even though she was still smiling in a teasing way at him. “See you tomorrow.”


“Goodnight, Mel.”


“Goodnight.” Fred drifted up the stairs, echoes of some girls yelling at each other following him up the stairs, though he didn’t really pay them any heed.


~*~*~


The arguing was coming from the fifth year girls’ rooms. The conversation started out normally enough before it escalated to Andrea and Hermione full on duking it out.


“Hey, Hermione,” Andrea greeted as she came in. The first time she came into the room, Hermione must have been in the bathroom. She was now sitting at her desk, a lamp on, furiously scribbling her quill across the parchment beneath her fingertips. This was not an unusual thing for Hermione to do at such a late hour.


“Hey, An.”


Andrea looked to Sophie’s bed, fully expecting her best friend to be zonked out. Sophie wasn’t there though. “Do you know where Sophie is?”


“Oh, yeah, she’s in the hospital wing.”


“What?”


“Well, this huge raven came and swooped down on our class during astronomy, and it dive bombed a couple of people and started pecking and clawing at them furiously,” Hermione explained. “Sophie was one of them, so they took her down to Madam Pomfrey.”


“Wow. That sounds insane!”


“It was. If you’d been there, you wouldn’t have missed the spectacle,” Hermione replied.


“Oh, sorry Hermione Granger, Almighty Prefect.”


“Excuse me?”


“Well, the tone of your voice made it sound like you were accusing me of skipping class.”


“I wasn’t wrong, was I?”


“No, but I rarely, if ever, miss class. Plus, I cleared my absence with Professor Sinistra ahead of time.”


“Oh, and that makes it okay to have a little rendezvous instead of going to class? You’ve always sucked up to Professor Sinistra.”


“Don’t EVEN talk to me about sucking up. You’re the one who has free reign from Dumbledore to do pretty much whatever you want along with Ron and Harry! I mean, come on! How many times have you been out after curfew? I can’t even keep track! You don’t deserve that Prefect badge you wear!” Andrea was yelling now.


“How dare you?” Hermione yelled right back.


“It should have been Sophie’s! I don’t think she’s ever broken a rule in her life! Do you know what it’s like for her to see you be Prefect when it’s all she’s wanted since she was a little girl? Every single one of her sisters have been Prefect and then Head Girl, and then you come along and consistently break curfew and who knows what else. Merlin, Hermione, you’re such a bloody hypocrite!”


“I always have a reason when I step over the line!”


“Oh, and that makes it perfectly all right? What if I just decided that I had a good reason to set your bed on fire? Then would it be okay if I did it?”


“GO AHEAD!”


“FINE!”


“FINE!”


They just glared at each other. Hermione was turned around in her chair to face Andrea head on, her hands tightly gripping the wood of the chair back. Andrea was standing ten feet away, one hand pointing her wand at Hermione’s bed, the other clenched in a fist at her side.


“I’m waiting!” Hermione clucked.


“Well, the sooner you get in it, the sooner I’ll do the deed!”


They just continued to glare at each other for another minute or so, and then burst out laughing at the same moment. Hermione was out of her chair, clutching her stomach on the floor, and Andrea collapsed onto her bed, writhing with laughter.


When they finally calmed down, Hermione picked herself up from the floor and walked over and plopped down next to Andrea on her bed. “Sorry, An, I shouldn’t have accused you like I did. You’re right. I am a complete hypocrite.”


“No, Hermy, I’m sorry.”


Hermione rolled her eyes the way she always did when Andrea called her that.


“I shouldn’t have blown up at you and said all those awful things. I mean, I don’t know what got into me. Probably just feeling a bit tired. Sophie doesn’t even care anymore about the Prefect thing. She’s been over it for months, so I don’t know why I brought it up.”


“At least we're getting better with these yearly fights,” Hermione surmised.


“A grand total of what? Seven, eight minutes?”


“Significantly down from last year, when it was about seven or eight days.”


“We must be losing our touch,” Andrea sighed. They looked at each other and smiled, then started laughing again at the sheer absurdity of their fights. They seemed to blow up at each other once a year, and then after that they were fine. It was always started by something too stupid to fight about in the first place, and in the end their friendship grew to be stronger than it was before.


Andrea, Sophie, and Hermione were good enough friends that if Hermione had spent more time with the girls instead of the guys, the three would be as thick and inseparable as Hermione was with the guys. Probably even more so because they didn’t argue as much as the boys and Hermione did. If Andrea was completely honest with herself, she would have to admit that if she hadn’t built up so many walls between herself and Harry over the years, they’d probably all be really close. The five of them.


~*~*~


A few minutes later, the twins were up in their dormitory, in bed, the others in their room already asleep. “Hey, Fred.”


“Yeah, George?”


“I’ve just had a very interesting thought cross my mind.”


“Me too, I was wondering why we’ve never finished the invisibility gum. Would’ve come in handy tonight.”


“I know, that’s exactly what I was thinking. That and the fact that Andrea thinks you and Emeline may have had a connection.”


“I really am tired of looking for books about invisibility; all they ever say is ‘invisibility cloak this’ and ‘saliva of a phoenix that.’”


“I mean, I’ve never seen you so intrigued by a girl since””


“George, that’s it! Dumbledore has a phoenix in his office at this very moment!”


“I knew we were missing something.”


“Well, I think it’s because, and I hate to even mention it, but I think it’s because you’re not devoting all of your thoughts to the business. You’re the one who is supposed to come up with the brilliant realizations, and I provide the tools you need to get to those realizations. Remember? That’s how Team Weasley works.”


“I think Emeline used to have a crush on you, back when you were going out with””


“Don’t worry, all is forgiven.”


“You could probably get her to like you again.”


“I doubt it,” Fred sighed.


“I’ll try and devote a little more thought to our enterprise.”


“Besides, it’s not like it even matters. I’m not looking for that right now.”


“I don’t know how much I can promise, but I’ll boost my WWW thinking time by at least seven percent,” George promised.


“Will you just drop it already, it was nothing. She’s just Emeline. All I did was lend a helping hand,” Fred hissed.


“No more than eight and a half percent.”

“G’night, Gred.”

“Night, Forge.”
Kites and Sackings by electronicquillster


A/N-DISCLAIMER-DEDICATION: Count on some pretty regular updates. I’m putting the finishing touches on the next three chapters, and polishing them up. As always, greatly italicized parts indicate text quoted directly from Order of the Phonix. This chapter is dedicated to Mr. Matt Hales of Aqualung.









“I hate to admit it, but I actually agree with Filch. I am so bloody glad that he finally banned that stupid song Malfoy made up. If I ever hear another strain of ‘Weasley Is Our King,’ I might have to rip my ears right off my head,” Fred confessed.

“I agree completely. Maybe we should give Filch a day off from us?” George suggested.

“Why not? But only just one.”

“Well, that goes without saying.”

“So, tell me again, what exactly are we doing?” Fred asked, walking along, stride for stride, with George.

“Something about flying something or other. She just said to meet her in the entrance hall,” he shrugged. “I don’t ask, I just show up.”

“You’re totally whipped,” Fred shook his head mournfully.

“And that’sssss... bad?”

“It’s seriously dangerous,” he said as they both laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Andrea asked, the twins having just reached her and Lee, who were each holding a pair of kites.

“Nothing,” and, “Everything,” George and Fred both said at the same time.

“That’s what I thought,” Andrea smiled widely.

“Shall we get to it then?” Lee led the way out onto the grounds.

While they meandered towards the shore of the lake, Andrea conveyed to the boys just how the professor said the Muggle kites were supposed to work. “They use the power of the wind to stay in the air. You just let them go, and then use the string to allow them to climb higher and higher, as far as the wind will take them.” When Fred and Lee openly gaped at her with skeptical looks on their faces, Andrea looked at them pleadingly. “The reason it’s supposed to be fun is because it’s simple. It’s something that’s easy and relaxing. Just basic fun.”

“Fine, we’ll give it a go,” Lee sighed.

“It’s better than twiddling our thumbs, I’d wager,” Fred admitted.

Fifteen minutes later, Fred and Lee had to concede that something so simplistic really was fun. Those two were running all about, while Andrea and George stayed more together. Then, when George wasn’t suspecting it, Andrea simply kissed him. They both smiled at each other. “What was that for?” he asked her.

“Nothing and everything,” she wrinkled her nose at him playfully, and he laughed. “Just for being great. I mean, Lee and Fred seriously doubted my assurances that this would be fun.”

George laughed, “Guess I fooled you into thinking I didn’t doubt it either. I just know that I enjoy being with you whatever we do.” Then he kissed her for a moment or two. “Not just because I like kissing you either, though it’s definitely a highlight.”

Andrea laughed with him, though an almost undetectable blush crept across her cheeks.

Someone cleared their throat behind them, and the two both jumped and whirled around.

“Professor Dumbledore!” they both cried.

“Good evening Mr. Weasley and Miss Benning.” Dumbledore merely smiled at the boy and girl in front of him.

“You gave us a fright!” Andrea panted.

“Yes, sorry about that,” he apologized as Fred and Lee ran over to join them. “Good evening, good sirs,” the headmaster acknowledged their arrival. “Lovely evening for some kite flying, isn’t it?”

They all nodded.

“I’m sorry to say, however, that I think it would be best if you four returned to the castle. Things may get a little, ah, interesting out here soon, and it could be dangerous.”

They solemnly nodded and bid farewell to Dumbledore, respecting his wishes.

“Oh, and Miss Benning,” he called after them. She stopped and turned, as did the twins and Lee. “I would like a word with you later tonight in my office, if you’re agreeable to it,” Dumbledore said.

“Of course, Professor,” Andrea consented.

“And Mssrs. Weasley,” he added, a distinct twinkle in his eye, “I know nothing about Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes. I have no idea that you’ve been marketing as well as conducting research with the students of my school. I certainly haven’t the slightest clue that the two of you have been using one of the hidden rooms in the Prefect corridor as a lab and experiment room. Absolutley clueless towards everything that is not happening.”

With that, Dumbledore continued on his way, leaving a very smug set of twins in his wake.

~*~*~pg. 595~*~*~

“No!” she shrieked. “NO! This cannot be happening. . . . It cannot. . . I refuse to accept it!”

“You didn’t realize this was coming?”
Andrea couldn’t see the small form of Umbridge, but there was no mistaking that gleefully evil voice. “Incapable though you are of predicting even tomorrow’s weather, you must surely have realized that your pitiful performance during my inspections, and lack of any improvement, would make it inevitable you would be sacked?”

“You c-can’t!” howled Professor Trelawney,
but Andrea couldn’t see her either, there were too many people in front of her, “[Y]ou c-can’t sack me! I’ve b-been here sixteen years! H-Hogwarts is m-my h-home!”

“It was your home,” said Professor Umbridge, “until an hour ago, when the Minister of Magic countersigned the order for your dismissal. Now kindly remove yourself from this hall. You are embarrassing us.”

The next thing Andrea heard was Professor McGonagall comforting the former Divination teacher. “There, there, Sibyll . . . Calm down. . . . blow your nose on this. . . . It’s not as bad as you think, now. . . . You are not going to have to leave Hogwarts. . . .”

“Oh really, Professor McGonagall? And your authority for that statement is. . . . ?”

“That would be mine,” said a deep voice.


The huge oak doors had just swung open, and George, Fred, Lee and Andrea all moved along with the other students to make way for Dumbledore. Andrea would have bet her broomstick that whatever Dumbledore had been doing out on the grounds was about to come into play any moment. . ..[T]here was something impressive about the sight of him framed in the doorway against an oddly misty night. Leaving the doors wide behind him, he strode forward through the circle of onlookers toward the place where Professor Trelawney sat, tearstained and trembling upon her trunk, Professor McGonagall alongside her, the parting of the throng giving Andrea and the others their first glimpse at just what was going on.

“Yours, Professor Dumbledore?” said Umbridge with a singularly unpleasant little laugh. “I’m afraid you do not understand the position. I have here an Order of dismissal signed by myself and the Minister of Magic. Under the terms of Educational decree Number twenty-three, the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts has the power to inspect, place upon probation, and sack any teacher she - that is to say, I - feel is not performing up to the standard required by the Ministry of Magic. I have decided that Professor Trelawney is not up to scratch. I have dismissed her.”

“You are quite right, of course, Professor Umbridge. As High Inquisitor you have every right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to send them away from the castle. I am afraid,” Dumbledore went on, “that the power to do that still resides with the headmaster, and it is my wish that Professor Trelawney continue to live at Hogwarts.”

At this, Professor Trelawney gave a wild little laugh in which a hiccup was barely hidden.

“No - no, I-l g-go, Dumbledore! I sh-shall l-leave Hogwarts and s-seek my fortune elsewhere -”

“No,” said Dumbledore sharply. “It is my wish that you remain, Sibyll. Might I ask you to escort Sibyll back upstairs, Professor McGonagall?”

“Of course,” said McGonagall. “Up you get, Sibyll. . . .”

Andrea and the others still couldn’t see anything, but could hear a bit of shuffling, and then heard Professor Flitwick as he squeaked, “Locomotor trunks!”

“And what,” she said in a whisper that nevertheless carried all around the trance hall, “are you going to do with her once I appoint a new Divination teacher who needs her lodgings?”

“Oh, that won’t be a problem,” said Dumbledore pleasantly. “You see, I have already found us a new Divination teacher, and he will prefer lodgings on the ground floor.”

“You’ve found -?” said Umbridge shrilly. “
You’ve found? Might I remind you, Dumbledore, that under Educational decree Twenty-two -”

“- the Ministry has the right to appoint a suitable candidate if - and only if - the headmaster is unable to find one,” said Dumbledore. “And I am happy to say that on this occasion I have succeeded. May I introduce you?”

He turned to face the open front doors, through which night mist was now drifting. All the students heard hooves. There was a shocked murmur around the hall and
Andrea, Lee, the twins, and all the rest of the others who’d been standing by the doors hastily moved even farther backward, some of them tripping over in their haste to clear a path for the newcomer.

Andrea audibly gasped, her jaw dropping as she saw the large figure enter the school. He had white-blond hair and astonishingly blue eyes, the head and torso of a man joined to the palomino body of a horse. It was a centaur.

“This is Firenze,” said Dumbledore happily to a thunderstruck Umbridge. “I think you’ll find him suitable.”

Umbridge merely sputtered incomprehensibly.

“Now, I’m sure you all have places to be and things to do, none of which are against any rules,” Dumbledore dismissed the crowd, and they all heeded him and headed their various ways.

~*~*~

After dinner that evening, Andrea set off to Dumbledore’s office, George going along to keep her company in the halls. As they were getting closer to Dumbledore's office, Andrea brought their conversation around to something she’d been noticing lately. “George, I was wondering,” she mused.

“Yes?”

“Is it just me, or has Fred been spending a lot more time with us and a lot less time with random girls?”

“Well, he is my twin,” George started.

“No, I don’t mean anything rude by it. It just seems like, well, when we were first starting our relationship, he’d spend time with us, but almost every night he was off to meet a girl, remember? And now it just seems like he’s not doing that as often.”

George thought for a moment, brow furrowed. “I guess it’s true. Could be that he’s getting to the end of his list and wants to pace himself so he doesn’t run out before the end of the year,” he offered.

“Yeah, I guess it could be,” Andrea gave a laugh.

“Do you remember that day at start of term last fall when we ran into you right outside Dumbledore’s office?” he asked. “The day you punched Potter,” he clarified with a smirk.

“You won’t ever let me forget that day,” she groaned. “I’d forgotten about that part though,” she admitted.

“What? I feel so hurt,” he pouted.

“If I recall, you hardly spoke one word that day,” she poked him as they stepped onto a couple of steps, letting themselves be carried to the top. “Fred did almost all the talking.”

“You kind of kept me speechless at times because I’d get a little nervous,” he admitted, blushing very slightly at the tips of his ears.

Andrea smiled, “That’s really sweet of you to admit,” she spoke softly, then gave him a kiss, which he returned.

Just as they were about to turn the corner and come in sight of the large griffin guarding the Headmaster’s office, they caught part of a conversation going on in the hallway. “Potter is making almost no progress. He can’t sever the ties between his mind and the Dark Lord’s,” Snape’s voice came in a tone of annoyance.

George and Andrea both halted, giving each other quizzical looks before taking positions against the wall, just at the corner, wanting to hear the conversation going on.

“He truly is ruled by emotion, and that is one of his advantages over Voldemort,” Dumbledore replied. Andea and George both gave a small shudder at the mention of the name. “I think it may also be harder for Harry to close his mind of because of the girl as well. They are strongly connected, more than anyone knows, I believe. It was the same way with his father.”

“So I remember,” Snape replied.

“Woah,” George whispered, “I wonder if they’re talking about Harry’s thing with Cho. I don’t think he honestly likes her that much though.”

Andrea merely scoffed, and before she could say anything about George’s guess, Dumbledore’s voice rang out, “Thank you for updating me on his progress. I’m hoping the issue will be resolved soon, but I refuse to interfere in this matter.”

A moment later, Professor Snape came around the corner, spotting George and Andrea immediately. He glared at the two students, and though it was a look of cold cruelty that he used whenever speaking to students not of his house, Andrea could’ve sworn there was a flash of anger aimed directly at her. “Ten points from Gryffindor for eavesdropping.”

“It’s not a crime to overhear something in a hallway,” Andrea flared up, not knowing why exactly she was so angry.

“Make it twenty points,” he snarled before striding away.

“You know it’s better not to put up a fight. Fred and I learned that our first week at Hogwarts,” George laughed. “Ice Mice.” George directed the last at the griffin, who promptly leapt away to reveal the moving staircase to Dumbledore’s office. “I’ll wait for you then?”

“I shouldn’t be too long,” she smiled. “Just””

“I solemnly swear not to use the Extendable Ears.”

Andrea gave him a kiss on the cheek before ascending the steps. When she got to the top, she gave a firm knock and was invited in.

“Thank you for coming on such short notice,” Dumbledore smiled. “Please, sit down,” he motioned to a comfortable chair in front of his desk. “I don’t plan on taking much of your time.”

“It was no trouble to come, Professor,” Andrea said.

“So down to business. Andrea, you need to tell him soon. I wish you had already, but I do understand the agony and uncertainty. Just make it soon.” Andrea nodded.

“You’re excused,” he finished.

~*~*~

“I suppose you’re not going to tell me what Dumbledore wanted to talk to you about?” George asked once they’d left the Headmaster’s office.

“You are quite clever, aren’t you?” Andrea smiled, taking his hand.

“It’s what you have to tell Harry though, isn’t it?”

“It is.”

George really could not stand this. It wasn’t even about the information. It never had been, really; it was the fact that she wouldn’t tell him. “Don’t you trust me?” he sighed miserably.

Andrea halted and turned sideways to face him, and George did the same. She looked right into his eyes. “You know I trust you. The question is, do you trust me to tell you when the time is right?”

George jerked his head back like he’d been stung. Essentially he had. He’d never thought about it like that. He'd been foolish, questioning Andrea's trust of him, and it had planted seeds of mistrust towards her.

Andrea saw his reaction to this question. She saw his shock at the question and the thoughts taking place. She smiled sweetly at him, taking a step closer to him and giving him a kiss on the cheek. “I am sorry I can’t tell you now.”

“I’m sorry for doubting you.”

“Don’t be. I know that I wouldn’t have had the patience you’ve had with me if the situation were reversed and it was you with the secret,” she confessed, laughing a little. There was a pause before she added, “I’m not really ready to go back to the common room yet.”

“Have anything in mind?” he asked her.

She thought for a moment, then smiled, “Yes, this way.” With that, she turned and started walking in the opposite direction, away from Gryffindor Tower. George, never wanting to miss an adventure ” especially with his girlfriend ” followed along.
Invisibility Gum by electronicquillster
A/N: This chapter what...17? Are you seriously still asking if I own HP? I dedicate this chapter to Emily and Shanae. Definitely. Because they fan-girled me on this one. *throws confettie at Em and Sh*





“You were out late,” Sophie noted.

Andrea opened her mouth to speak, but yawned instead.

“Were you with George?” She smiled inquisitively.

Andrea’s face split into a huge grin. “Yes.”

“What were you doing?”

“We went for a ride on my broom out around the lake and the rest of the grounds. Then Umbridge was up prowling this morning before the crack of dawn and gave us detention,” Andrea sighed pleasantly at the memory.

“You are totally love-struck,” Sophie laughed.

“What’s all this?” Terry asked them, meeting the girls on their way to the Great Hall for breakfast as he usually did.

“Andrea spent all night out with George,” Sophie answered.

“So things are going really well?”

“Do you even have to ask?” Sophie laughed again.

“I guess not.”

“We could probably talk about anything we wanted right now and Andrea wouldn’t have the faintest idea. I’d just leave her with her thoughts, but I’m worried she’d run into something.”

“Or someone,” George popped out from behind a tapestry, no doubt using one of the numerous secret passageways he knew by heart.

“Hey! What are you doing up? I thought you have a free period right now and that you’d be sleeping.” Andrea stopped, and Sophie and Terry went on ahead.

George closed the gap between them and then gave her a soft kiss. “Can’t I walk you down to breakfast? Especially after such a spectacular night?”

“Guess I can’t complain about that,” Andrea shrugged playfully and kissed him again. George took her book bag from her and slung it over his shoulder, and then took her hand.

Once they were in the Great Hall, they sat with their various friends, including Lavender and Parvati, who were carrying on about how much they were looking forward to their first Divination lesson with Firenze the Centaur.

“Don’t you wish you were taking Divination now?” Parvati asked Andrea.

George felt a stab of jealousy for a moment, but he realized he needn’t have when Andrea answered, “No, for the millionth time!” She rolled her eyes, and George laughed. Parvati gave him a dirty look, but he didn’t care.

~*~*~

The next month passed by with far more discussion about Firenze by Lavender and Parvati than Andrea would have liked. It would have been different if it wasn’t simply all about how attractive he was. Andrea actually would have listened if they talked at all about some of the things Firenze taught them because she found the few things that Dean and Seamus told her from their lessons to be truly fascinating.

Andrea was having the time of her life, hands down. Being with George, and a lot of the time Fred and Lee, there was never a dull moment. George kept her laughing almost all the time, and if she wasn’t laughing, then she was making him laugh. Her sense of fun and adventure definitely were some of the things that had drawn George to Andrea. She was rather smart and brought a higher quality to the twin’s pranks these days. That is to say, where as their pranks before were just for the sake of pranking, they now pranked with more purpose behind the act. Behind closed doors in the staff room, McGonagall could be heard telling Flitwick, Sprout, and others that she seriously believed that The Trouble Twins had at last reached the heights that the Marauders had in their day.

The twins were still working avidly on their joke products, and Andrea used this time to study. Sophie helped her keep her time balanced, sometimes ruling with the iron fist ” or at least that’s what it felt like to Andrea. When she complained, Sophie merely rattled off the age-old adage: absence makes the heart grow fonder.

George also tried to persuade Andrea to come with him to meetings of the DA. Andrea always politely refused without any explanation. One evening, however, George was a little more insistent. “Please come. They’re loads of fun, dead useful, and there are bound to be loads of new people coming tonight.”

“Really? Why?” she asked him.

“Well, most people don’t think Harry’s a raving lunatic since that interview in the Quibbler. If I remember correctly, it was you who made sure everyone could read it. Isn’t that right?” George raised his eyebrows.

“I’m not going.”

“Why?”

“Well, because...I’ve got to...” she trailed off for a moment, looking around for Sophie, but instead her eyes came across Edward and Roderick. “I’ve got to play Exploding Snap!”

“Exploding Snap?” he asked incredulously.

“Of course! I’ve got to take any chance I can to play so I can keep up on my skills, otherwise I’m going to have a grand old time losing to Rick all summer long. I’ll see you later; I always do.”

George said nothing else. Andrea gave him a kiss on the cheek, and then crossed the common room to where her brother was already setting up a game of Exploding Snap. George met up with his own brother and Lee at the portrait hole and then left for the DA.

~*Pages 607-608*~

Harry had them working on the Patronus at this D.A. meeting. Fred and George had picked it up on almost the first try. They’d been trying their hands at all sorts of complicated charms, hexes and jinxes between the D.A. and their products, and it wasn’t hard at all for them to think of happy memories. It was even easier for George, what with his never-ending fun with Andrea, and Fred had been quick to try to embarrass him about that fact.

Fred and George’s set of large twin tigers had been tackling each other for quite a while when the door of the Room of Requirement opened, though they couldn’t see who had come in, and silence was quickly spreading across the room.

It was Dobby the House Elf, and he was in a right anxious state.

”Harry Potter, sir...” squeaked the elf, trmbling from head to foot, “Harry Potter, sir... Dobby has come to warn you... but the house-elves have been warned not to tell...”

Everyone watched as Harry tried to keep Dobby from punishing himself.

“What’s happened, Dobby?” Harry asked, grabbing the elf’s tiny arm and holding him away from anything with which he might seek to hurt himself.

“Harry Potter... she... she...”

“Who’s ‘she,’ Dobby?”


It seemed that Dobby couldn’t answer, but George could wager a guess as to who he meant.

”Umbridge?” asked Harry, horrified. The whole room seemed to hold its’ breath.

“What about her? Dobby ” she hasn’t found out about this ” about us ” about the D.A.?”

The unease was mounting quickly in all the members of the D.A. as they remained silent.

“Is she coming?” Harry asked quietly.

Dobby let out a howl, and began beating his bare feet hard on the floor. “Yes, Harry Potter, yes!”

Harry straightened up and looked around at the motionless, terrified people gazing at the thrashing elf.

“WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?” Harry bellowed. “RUN!”

They all pelted toward the exit at once, forming a scrum at the door.
Fred, George and Lee knew for a fact that there was no way they’d all get out and away in time. They stepped back a few feet from the frantic crowd and each pulled out a piece of Invisibility Gum. They’d all been keeping a few spare pieces in their pockets since the early test results had been going well. It was for times like these. It wouldn’t give them much invisible time, but they were guaranteed at least one or two minutes. They chewed feverishly, and a moment later, the three vanished.

George smiled to himself, since no one else could see him. “Best thing to do is split up,” he said to Fred and Lee as they rejoined the crowd. “I’m going to head to the library.”

“The Secret Lab,” Fred said.

“Fake detention in the Trophy Room,” Lee added.

~*~*~

“Get your books. Now,” Sophie demanded. “You do not need to practice Exploding Snap. We need to work on Defense.”

“Some best friend you are,” Andrea grumbled.

“Do you want me to hex you with bad breath for a week?”

“I’m going! I’m going!” Andrea said, pushing herself up from the floor, then putting her hands up in surrender. Roderick and Edward were trying hard not to laugh, and they weren’t doing a very good job of it. The last thing she wanted, however, was bad breath. No one wants to kiss someone who has bad breath, she thought.

Two minutes later, Andrea was stepping out of the common room with Sophie, and they headed for the library. Sophie began quizzing Andrea on some of the Defensive theory as they walked. Andrea was glad that her brothers had drilled her for hours each day and worked with her on the practical aspects of Defense Against the Dark Arts. She had a bit of a natural aptitude for the subject, and caught on quickly, but she was worried that she was getting rusty on the practical side. Every few weeks Andrea and Sophie slipped into an unused classroom to try a few of the spells they were supposed to be learning that year in their studies.

“All right,” Sophie continued, rifling through some of her old notes from fourth year, “tell me some of the signs of a person who is being controlled under the Imperius Curse.”

“Vacant expression, doing things they would never do... but that's rather obvi””

The girls were nearly knocked off their feet as they turned the corner, and their books and papers flew everywhere. Someone had run right into them.

Andrea looked around, but could see no one. She could have sworn she heard George’s familiar laughter.

“Sorry, girls, I didn’t know you’d be coming ‘round the corner.”

Andrea dropped the rest of the books she’d managed to hold onto, because that was most definitely George’s voice. Then she was further astounded when the things she’d dropped began picking themselves up off the floor.

She turned her head to see that Sophie’s face looked just as surprised as she felt herself.

“George?” Andrea asked tentatively, rooted to the spot.

“What?” he laughed.

“Er, where are you?”

“I’m right in front of your face, of course,” he answered. The books and papers had all been cleaned up from the floor and were now positioned at arm level.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

George stepped forward, putting a hand on Andrea’s shoulder.

She jumped and screamed, startling George, who dropped all the things he’d just picked up. That was when he finally noticed that he couldn’t see his own hand.

“BLIMEY! I’m still invisible!”

“You’re what?” Sophie asked.

George gave a great whoop before explaining. “It’s the Invisibility Gum! Fred and I have been working on some different prototypes, and they work all right, but it just doesn’t last very long,” he spoke quickly, excited beyond belief. “I guess that the effects last longer if you chew it more vigorously at the beginning! We keep a bit in our pockets, you see, in case we run into an emergency, and tonight Umbridge was on her way to catch us all in the D.A.! So the key is to chew like your life depends on it! This is brilliant! The faster you chew, the longer it lasts!”

The next second Andrea and the Invisible George were locked in an intense, breath-taking kiss. Then George gave another whoop, jumping in the air”though the girls still couldn’t see him. “Listen, I’ve got to go and talk about this with Fred, but I’ll see you later in the common room.”

They heard him bound away down the corridor, and then broke into laughter.

“I’ll tell you one thing: kissing an invisible guy was not bad at all,” Andrea said after they’d finally collected their things and started walking again.

~*~*~

Fred and George grinned as they listened to some passing sixth year Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws talk about what had happened in Dumbledore’s office the night before. That was the only thing people seemed to be talking about first thing that morning at breakfast, in whispers during class and during the break.

The twins were on break between Transfiguration and Potions. They only had four classes as it was: Transfiguration, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms.

Charms had been one of the classes they knew would be useful in their development of new products, and they’d each received an O in the subject. They hadn’t really studied, but they had intentionally procured a detention from Professor Flitwick. They’d coaxed the professor to give them an intensive review session for their punishment.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was with Lupin fifth year, so they’d excelled in their tests.

Besides the fact that Potions would be another useful class in their endeavors in Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes, Fred and George couldn’t very well drop the subject and leave Snape in peace. They earned the O’s in that subject just to spite the greasy, Gryffindor-hating professor.

Though they hadn’t even achieved O.W.L.s in Transfiguration, McGonagall had insisted they continue in the subject, insisting they could have full-well received O’s in the subject if they had actually written real answers to the test instead of precisely opposite answers interspersed with proclamations of love to their Transfiguration teacher. The twins suspected McGonagall wanted to keep an eye on them, but also that she was just plain fond of them.

“You know, George,” Fred said, “this year I like McGonagall more than ever. She so obviously loathes Umbridge, but she loathes her with dignity.”

“Too true.”

“Hang it all, here comes Montague,” Fred groaned, gazing down the Charms corridor.

“Let’s loathe with dignity, shall we?” George smiled.

Just as they’d expected, Montague came to a halt a few meters away from them, an ugly smile on his face. “It’s too bad Gryffindor can be absolutely flattened in Quidditch now,” he guffawed.

The twins shared an amused look. “That’s very nearly a compliment, Montague,” George laughed. “Don’t you think, Fred?”

“Sounded like it to me. One of the smartest things that’s ever come out of his mouth.”

Montague sputtered for a moment before growling in frustration. “Don’t mess with me anymore; I’m a member of the Inquisitorial Squad!”

“And what is that? Some sort of support group for all the students who don’t have brains?” Fred said to much laughter from the crowd that was starting to gather.

“Shut your mouth. It’s more like Umbridge’s group of specially selected students who can take points away from the houses if they feel like it. Now, because I’ve hated you two for ten years now””

“You didn’t even know us ten years ago,” George pointed out.

“”I’d say that should cost Gryffindor about””

Montague didn’t get to finish. Fred quickly cast a Silencing Charm on the Slytherin and then shoved him headfirst into the Vanishing Cabinet that was just behind him.

“The bloke never did learn to mind his surroundings,” George smirked.

Someone grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. It was Andrea. “Do you even care about the rules now that Dumbledore’s gone?”

“Not particularly,” he answered a bit hesitantly. This was not the first questionable act he and his twin had participated in since the sun rose.

Fred was about to leave, seeing that the Golden Couple might need a moment, but Andrea latched onto his arm. “Look, just don’t get caught. Everyone knows the mischief around here can be credited to either you or Peeves. Just don’t leave any solid evidence. Now, I need your help. I just came from Potions, and after class, Umbridge came sauntering in.”

The twins looked at Andrea, slightly surprised by how she was dealing with the new developments.

“She demanded Veritaserum. Snape was hesitant at first, but then””

“Hang on,” Fred interupted.

“How do you know all of this?” George voiced the question they were both thinking.

“I know a couple of guys with Invisibility Gum,” she grinned, then continued. “Bottom line, she’s going to use it on Harry during lunch. Make sure you’ve got something big planned.”

~*Page 634*~

Fred and George were heroes that night in the Gryffindor common room.

Andrea, who had been studying with Hermione and Sophie for an hour after dinner, followed closely after Hermione as she pressed her way through the mass of people crowding around the Trouble Twins.

”They were wonderful fireworks,” she said admiringly.

“Thanks,” said George, looking both surprised and pleased. “Weasleys’ Wildfire Whiz-Bangs. Only thing is, we used our whole stock, we’re going to have to start again from scratch now. . . .”

“It was worth it, though,” said Fred. “If you want to add your name to the waiting list, Hermione, it’s five Galleons for your Basic Blaze box and twenty for the Deflagration Deluxe. . . .”


Hermione didn’t make any preorder, but went on her way. Once Hermione had moved, Andrea could finally see the twins. She watched for a moment. Fred and George were practically made for the marketing world, and they obviously loved it. Finally, Andrea took a few more steps forward and reached out to take George’s hand.

He turned to face her and saw the secretive glint in Andrea’s eyes. He quickly ducked out of the crowd with her, letting her lead the way out of the common room. Once they climbed out of the portrait hole, Andrea pulled George around to face her, and he slowly backed her up to the wall, grinning. “Sophie let you off studying tonight?”

“Hard to believe, but yes,” she answered, then followed up with a kiss.

“Where exactly are we going?” George finally aksed after a minute or two.

“Wherever we end up,” Andrea replied, using the line George had used on her before.

“I think I know just the place.” George led her away from Gryffindor Tower and took her hand as they ducked into one of the numerous secret passages.

Where they ended up was one of the smaller towers near the Astronomy Tower. It was still significantly higher than most of the towers and allowed for an excellent view of the many fireworks that were still going strong in the sky. They didn’t stay out too long since Andrea had to stay on top of her studies now that O.W.L.s were so close.

“How was your outing with George?” Sophie asked after Andrea had crawled into bed.

“Best. Night. Ever.”

Sophie and Hermione laughed.

“All of your nights out with George are the ‘best nights ever,’” Hermione said.

Andrea merely sighed dreamily in reply.

“Good night, Mrs. George Weasley,” Sophie teased.

Andrea chuckled. “Good night.”

And, except for another startled awakening from an otherwise perfectly normal dream, it was a good night.









Ending note: basically, I think I can’t do much better than this chapter, so I think I’ll stop now. The end...wink wink.

Actually, I need to do a quick poll with you awesome readers of this story. Since I write this for you, I want your opinion.

Sirius COULD make an appearance. It would still be about 3 or 4 chapters away, but he could possibly make an appearance in Hogsmeade. If he does, we’ll find out what the Harry-Andrea thing is when/if he appears.

Do you want to see him or not?
The Trouble With Girls by electronicquillster
A/N/Disclaimer/Dedication: I wrote the stuff that you never knew from reading JKR’s books. I’m dedicating this chapter to Amy who spotted the tribute to the Heskin/Seale version of “Pride and Prejudice” in the last chapter. I disclaim that dialogue as well. Wait, do I even own this disclaimer....If you’ve read this before, then I’m in trouble...



“Please, no more sweetness! I need a break.”

“You know, Fred, there’s an easy way to solve the problem: you could leave us alone,” George told his twin, not taking his eyes off of Andrea.

“We need to find Fred a girl,” Andrea smiled. “I happen to know plenty of available girls.”

“So do I; many girls in fact,” Fred said slyly.

“Fred, I don’t understand why you don’t find just ONE girl.”

“You really ought to; having one girl is wonderful,” George said seriously.

“Why do I need to find one of my own when we’ve got Andrea Benning?” They all laughed. “Besides, I’ve got pretty much the rest of my life to be married. Meanwhile, if you two will excuse me, I’ve got an appointment that I wouldn’t dream of missing.”

“Well then, by all means, don’t let us keep you,” George smiled as he looked into Andrea’s eyes.

“You two are insufferable,” Fred muttered just loud enough that he knew the two on the couch could hear him as he exited the common room.

“For the record, I second the opinion that we need to find a girl for Fred. He intrudes far too much on our alone time. Being a twin, I’ve had to share everything with him, and I don’t mind so much when it comes to other things,” he brushed his lips softly in a kiss on her nose, “but I refuse to share my girlfriend.” He stroked her cheek with the back of his hand, and she smiled sweetly.

Even the smallest signs of affection from George could still make her insides melt and butterflies buzz in her stomach. She loved every moment she was with George Weasley. He always made her smile, even when their eyes just met for a second across a room. He could put her into fits of laughter any time he set himself to the task. There was also the steady, strong, and very sweet side that he showed her whenever they were together, but especially when they were alone. He genuinely cared about what she was thinking. He always asked how her day had been, and not merely out of habit, but because he seriously wanted to know about it.

She could easily get lost looking into his vibrant blue eyes, so full of passion and a zest for life. He was able to make her speechless with some of his romantic gestures. There was also the fact that he was an incredible kisser. As if he could read her mind, George kissed her that very moment. It was a slow, beautiful kiss. A tingling sensation spread throughout her entire being and a few fireworks went off in her head.

After a few minutes, Andrea broke off to look at her watch. “I should go; I’ve got to get clear to the North Tower.” She had Astronomy that evening.

“Just five more minutes!” George locked eyes with her, and she groaned, knowing that she was powerless to those intensely pleading eyes; not to mention the fact that she would much rather just stay here comfortably spending time with him.

Five minutes of kissing and speaking in hushed tones later, Andrea stood up and reached for her school bag. George stood as well and walked with her over to the portrait hole. They were both hesitant to say goodnight. “I guess I should go. I think I’ll probably be late.”

“Yeah, I should probably head up to bed,” he rubbed his neck, speaking these words reluctantly.

“Walk me?” Andrea asked hopefully.

“Sure!” George and Andrea both split into huge grins, and he took her bag for her. Their hands quickly found each other’s, and they entwined their fingers and made their way to Astronomy.

As it was late at night, and anyone who wasn’t supposed to be on their way to Astronomy was in deep trouble if caught, they took a number of hidden staircases and corridors so that George wouldn’t be seen out of Gryffindor Tower at the late hour. George pretended that a number of said corridors were haunted and creepy. Andrea pretended to be scared so that she could cling to him for protection. They both enjoyed the other’s acts and knew that the other knew it was all for show.

Finally, they reached the base of the North Tower. George handed Andrea her book bag and she slung it over her shoulder. “Now, mind that you’re careful on your way back,” George warned in a serious voice, a twinkle in his eye.

“I’ll have to be,” Andrea answered in a worried tone. “I won’t have you there to protect me!” They laughed for a moment.

“I am a bit serious though,” George added as an afterthought. “You never know who you’ll meet in the corridors.”

“I know,” her smile softened and she placed a hand on George’s cheek. “Thanks.”

He placed his arms around her waist and they kissed again. When they broke the kiss, she couldn’t help but whisper in his ear as he hugged her, “I love you.”

George stiffened and Andrea’s breath caught in her throat. She couldn’t believe it had come out. They broke away. “I mean - I didn’t mean -”

“Thank you,” he said nervously, it was almost a question. George kicked himself mentally.

“Er, you’re welcome.” The awkwardness was mounting by the second. “Astronomy. I’m already late.” She opened the door to the staircase. George stepped forward to kiss her on the cheek as she swung the door open, and it hit his shoulder. “Sorry!” she said quickly.

“Goodnight.” George stood motionless for a moment, still in shock, listening to Andrea’s steps up the staircase grow more faint with each step. He ran a hand through his hair.

“I love you?” he questioned aloud.

“Love you too!” Peeves cackled at George and began throwing huge mothballs at him. George quickly ducked into the nearest passageway and ran from Peeves and his mothballs. He didn’t go straight back to Gryffindor Tower though. He took the longest route back, stopping by the kitchens for a bit of a snack, as well. He’d been a little tired and had fully intended on going back and sacking out before, well, before Andrea had just gone and said those three words.

When he finally got to the floor of the entrance to Gryffindor Tower, his head was still reeling, and he ran smack into someone as he came to the corner of the hall.

“Oy, watch yourself there, George. A bit preoccupied tonight?”

“A bit, yeah,” he smirked.

His twin laughed at him. “You wouldn’t believe the trouble Peeves gave me on the way back here from my little stroll with Cindy, the little blighter! I swore Filch would come running, lucky he didn’t. Anyway, Peeves just pops out of nowhere and starts screaming, ‘Love you too! Love you too!’ throwing these huge mothballs at me!”

“About this big around?” George balled up his fist to indicate the size he meant.

“Yeah, how’d you know?”

“Came across him myself.”

Fred gave the Fat Lady the password and they climbed through the portrait hole. No one was in the common room since it was well after midnight. They went up to their room and were met with Lee’s familiar snoring. They crawled into bed. George was still thinking about what Andrea had said and what he hadn’t said, when Fred interrupted his thoughts.

“Hey George.”

“Yeah Fred?”

“I’ve just had a very interesting thought cross my mind.”

“Not again.” Last time Fred had said that very thing to him, it had been when Fred realized he’d interrupted his and Andrea’s moment under the mistletoe the last night before the Christmas holidays.

“Well, I was right last time, was I not? Just hear me out on this.”

“Go on.”

“Well, Peeves is just as insane as we are, maybe more so.”

“Yeah.”

“But I’m thinking to myself, ‘Fred, why would Peeves go around yelling that he loves me?’ It’s odd, no?”

“He’s Peeves.”

“He can’t tell us apart, can he?”

“Not a lot of people can.”

“Exactly, and I’ve just had a very interesting thought cross my mind.”

“You already said that, Fred.”

“I know, George, I know. Did you walk Andrea to Astronomy?”

“Yeah.”

“And?”

George sighed, figuring he may as well confess. “And she said she loved me.”

“And what did you say back?”

“Thank you,” George sighed.

Fred didn’t say anything for a moment. “Well, at least you were polite. I guess we’ll be able to get a lot of work done this weekend, eh?”

“What do you mean?

“She said, ‘I love you,’ and you said, ‘Thank you.’ Could you have messed up any worse?”

~*~*~

“Well, at least he was polite,” Sophie offered.

Andrea shrugged.

“It probably surprised him is all.”

“Like he was surprised that I feel that way?”

“No! No,” Sophie corrected, “that’s not really what I meant. What I mean is...” she seemed to be choosing her words carefully, “he probably hadn’t thought about it yet. It’s rather a big thing, you know. I mean, just think, you two both liked each other for months before either of you made a move.”

“I guess you’re right. What happened when you told Terry you loved him?”

“Nothing, because I haven’t,” Sophie shrugged.

“Do you think I’m rushing? What if I’m just making a fool of myself and he doesn’t love me back?” Andrea looked horrified.

“Oh, no, Andrea, I don’t know what George is thinking, but I know that if you think you’re in love then you probably are. I haven’t told Terry I love him because I don’t know if I do. I like him, but I don’t know if we’re in love.”

“Oh.” Sophie saw that this seemed to calm Andrea down a bit, but she was still really tense. “Listen, just ask yourself if you can see yourself still feeling the way you do about him now in a hundred years. I think that what you have with George is very different from what I have with Terry. You know that I’m not the romantic type, but I have to admit that I think what you have with George is rare. Like I said, if you think that you love him, then you probably do. It’s always a big deal for a guy to say he loves someone.”

“I guess that is true,” she smiled. They crawled through the portrait hole and were halfway to the base of the girl’s staircase when a voice met their ears from over by the fireplace.

“ANDREA!”

Andrea had to look twice before she saw it wasn't from around the fireplace, but from the fireplace itself. Her brother’s head was sitting in the fire.

“Darren?” she was shocked to see him there.

“Drea, you have to help me! I don’t know what to do. I’m totally at a loss for what to do. When I sit here and try to think of what I’m going to do, nothing comes to mind. See how I can’t help the rambling? The only thing I could think of is to talk to you. I couldn’t very well tell Mum what happened because, I don’t know, I just can’t. It’s too weird telling her. So, you’ve got to tell me what to do,” he said all of this very quickly.

“Well?” he asked expectantly as Andrea kneeled in front the fireplace. Sophie waved at Andrea and mouthed that she was going up to bed.

“Well yourself! You might want to tell me what happened. I’m not a mind reader,” she smiled.

“Right,” he laughed, “I forgot. Okay, I’ll tell you what happened. So, you remember Rachel?”

“Of course,” she smiled.

“Well, we’ve been dating for a while now. Six months tonight, in fact.”

“Congratulations!”

“Thanks,” he smiled sheepishly. “So, I decided I’d take her somewhere really nice, got her some roses, the whole deal.”

“Is she allergic to roses?” Andrea queried, not really getting why Darren was in such a right state.

“No. I mean, we had a great time, and she looked completely gorgeous! So I’m dropping her off at her flat, and we have our usual goodbyes, and then that’s when it happened.”

“What? What happened?”

“She said. . .” he hesitated.

“Did she say you should be just friends?” Andrea hoped this wasn’t the case.

“No, worse.”

“She hates you and never wants to see you again?”

“No, she loves me!”

Andrea laughed outright at her brother.

“Don’t laugh! It’s not funny, An!”

“All right,” she covered her mouth and tried to stifle her laughter. Darren glared at her. “Sorry. Then what did you say?”

“Nothing! It’s like I totally froze, and I made this kind of weird coughing, or choking noise, I don’t know. I just Apparated out of there as fast as I could!”

Andrea was now glad that things had gone at least a little better with George.

“An, you’ve got to help me!”

“Okay, let’s just think for a minute. Do you like her?”

“I wouldn’t have dated her for six months if I didn’t.”

“Do you think about her often?”

“All the bloody time,” he beamed.

“Do you think that she is the most beautiful woman you’ve ever met?”

“Absolutely! I mean, she’s got these eyes, and this hair, and. . .” he sighed.

“Have the two of you ever fought?”

“Once we did, yeah,” he frowned a bit.

“And were you absolutely miserable?”

“Yeah,” he answered morosely, probably thinking of how it had been.

“And when you made up, how did you feel?”

“Like the happiest man in the universe,” he laughed. “I was so happy I couldn’t concentrate during our match that day, and I took a Bludger to the head because I was so busy smiling at her across the pitch.”

Andrea laughed, “That’s why you got injured?”

“Yeah,” he blushed.

“Okay, well, I’m going to ask you one last question. Do you love her?”

“Yes,” he answered immediately. Then he gasped. “How’d you know?”

“It’s obvious. Just look at how worked up you got. Now here’s what you’re going to do. In a few hours, you’re going to Apparate into her flat while she’s still asleep. You’re going to put up, let’s see, daisies, yes, daisies everywhere. You’re going to make her some breakfast. Then when everything is ready, you’re going to go in her room and kiss her good morning. She’ll be thoroughly surprised, and that’s when you’re going to tell her.”

“Tell her what?”

“That you love her, you git!”

“Okay. Okay, I think I can do that. What if she doesn’t say it back?”

“You fool! She already said it to you! You’re the one saying it back!” she yelled at him, though she had a huge smile on her face.

“Oh, right. I forgot,” he grinned. “Okay, daisies you said?”

“And a really, really good breakfast. She loves breakfast. Don’t you remember when she was at our house for Christmas?”

“Andrea I can’t cook!” he had a panicked look on his face.

“You’re a wizard, Darren, use some magic!”

“Oh, right. Okay. Daisies and breakfast.”

“And tell her you love her for Merlin’s sake,” she smiled at him and he smiled back.

“Guess having a little sister finally came in handy,” he winked.

“I’m still wondering what you’re good for.”

“Nice one, An,” he seemed proud of her comeback.

“Thanks, I had my fair share of intensive training from the best.”



Special thanks to Emily and Shanae - my wonderful betas - and to Paul - gave me a (somewhat) honest opinion. If you are interested in getting direct updates, just contact me through my author page and let me know.I will also say, yes, part of this was inspired by The OC (as many scenes are) but the situation is very true to life that was "copied" here.
The Exit by electronicquillster
No disclaimer. Just a note that says that the part of OotP that this corresponds to starts on pate 656 of the American Edition.



A/N: I can’t thank Emily and Shanae enough. They’ve been such wonderful betas. It’s crazy to think that I’m almost done with this story. The epilogue is written, and I’ve started parts of the sequel...but we’ll see. I’ve got to finish this one first, and then...I’m going to buckle down on my Marauder story. I’ve been writing on that one since last summer. (That’s actually why this one isn’t finished yet...)







Someone was shaking her awake. That someone had better have a good explanation. It was Saturday morning, and there was not a Quidditch game. “Andrea, it’s Darren.” Sophie’s voice invaded her sleepy mind. “He’s in the fire again.”

“What?” She sat up and reached for her robe. “He is such a brother,” she grumbled.

Trudging down the stairs, she knew it was still indecently early. Why in the world would he be talking to her right now anyway? He should be enjoying his breakfast with his one true love. However, she forgot her annoyance when she saw the look on Darren’s face.

“Darren what happened?”

“This is all your fault!”

“What happened?” she asked.

“Well, I did just what you said, the daisies everywhere, conjured up a hot breakfast.”

“Yes, and then?” Andrea prodded.

“So then I went to her room, and she was sleeping, and just the way she was laying there with the sun starting to shine on her face, she was so beautiful. I couldn’t wake her up because I just wanted to watch her sleep.”

There were a few sighs and other sounds of approval from some girls who were passing on their way to breakfast and had stopped to listen. Darren blushed, and Andrea shooed them away. Then Darren continued. “So finally, I brush her hair off of her cheek and she stirs and wakes up, and she asked me what I was doing there. So I kissed her, and then I just said it. Like you said, she was totally surprised. So then we went into the kitchen for breakfast, and she was really happy and gave me quite the kiss to thank me.”

“Darren, I like to think I’m pretty smart, but I’m just not seeing the problem here.”

“I’m getting to that part. We’re eating, and I was just watching her, and she was a little embarrassed about how she looked, having just woken up, but I told her I thought she looked beautiful.”

“Is your problem that you’re getting too cute for your own comfort?”

He ignored her comment and plowed on with his story “So I’m sitting there thinking to myself that the moment was absolutely perfect and that I wanted to be like that for the rest of my life, so I asked her to marry me.”

“You asked who to marry you?” Someone had evidently told Roderick that his brother was in the fire and he’d just knelt down next to Andrea.

“Rachel,” Andrea answered.

“That’s absolutely spiffing, D,” Roderick said with a silly grin on his face.

“So why are you here when you’ve just gotten yourself engaged?” Andrea reprimanded him.

“Well, I don’t exactly know if I’m engaged or not. See I sort of Apparated back home after I realized what I’d said.”

Roderick began laughing at his brother.

Andrea was in disbelief. “You should be so glad that I’m not in proximity to hit you, you idiot!”

“What? This is all your fault! Why am I the one you want to punch?”

“Rachel is the best thing that has ever happened to you!”

“I know!”

“Okay, so here is what you’re going to do,” Andrea seethed, though it was a groggy seething. “You’re going to Apparate right back to her house and beg her to say yes if she can stand your stupidity. Then you’re going to get married so that I can go back up to my bed and sleep.”

“What? You mean today?”

“I can’t talk to you anymore. I can’t do this when I’m this tired. Just go get Rachel to say yes.”

“Congratulations mate,” Roderick said, “on the engagement and giving us something to tease you mercilessly about for the rest of your life.”

“I’ll tell you the rest of the story later,” Andrea called from the stairs.

“Rest of the story?” Roderick smirked at Darren.

Darren groaned, “This is horrid.” Then he popped out of the fire and Roderick shrugged and went back to his bed as well.

~*~*~

George and Andrea ate their meals together as usual. Word had spread quickly about the engagement of the Kestrals' Keeper Darren Benning to one of its Chasers, the superb Rachel Cunningham. They’d been engaged by the time Andrea had decided it was a decent hour to crawl out of bed. It seemed that every girl in Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff wanted to hear the story, because they’d heard it was rather romantic. Andrea told them most of the story, leaving out the part about Darren’s Disapparation right after he’d popped the question. She was very pleased that it was partially spurred on by her wonderful idea.

George was glad that Andrea was being asked to recount the story everywhere she went. It allowed him to be with her without having to worry about their awkward moment when she’d said, you know, those three words - the L-Bomb, and he’d said thank you. As the fifth year’s O.W.L.s were coming up pretty quickly, Andrea spent almost all of her time in the library studying. While Andrea didn’t feel it terribly important to study, her parents had made it clear that she was to take her time at Hogwarts seriously or else she wouldn’t have quite the fun time she planned on whenever she was home.

Towards the end of the holidays Fred and George were given an interesting proposition when Ginny showed up to speak to them in their Secret Lab one afternoon. They were surprised that she even knew where the place was, but they were learning to be less and less surprised by their clever younger sister. She didn’t waste any time getting to the point of her visit either.

“Something’s really gnawing at Harry and he wants to talk with Sirius about it. Umbridge’s fire isn’t-”

“Being watched,” Fred finished her thought. She nodded.

“We could draw her away from her office, no problem,” George shrugged.

“The question is with what?” Fred scratched his head.

They were both silent for a moment or two and began pacing. Ginny smiled, knowing the geniuses were at work. She left, confident that they could do it themselves. Besides, she didn’t much fancy being entirely in on the plan, Mum would have a riot if she knew Ginny was planting ideas in the twins’ heads.

~*~*~

Later that evening Andrea and Sophie were over against the wall by the windows in the common room. Sophie with her back against the cool stone, her legs stretched out in front of her, Andrea with her back on the floor and her legs propped up against the wall. Sophie was reading the extensive career planning packet on Healing and Medi-Wizardry. Andrea had taken one of everything else and was casually flipping through them one by one and then tossing them over to Dean, who was playing a game of wizard’s chess nearby with Seamus and had no idea what he wanted to do when he got out of Hogwarts. For Andrea, it was easy, and she was merely trying to keep herself entertained. Sophie decided to go and write to her parents about what she was reading in the packet from St. Mungo’s, and left Andrea there against the wall by herself.

It wasn’t too long before the portrait hole opened and the Trouble Twins entered, each with the evidence on their faces that they were doing some serious thinking. They spotted Andrea in her jeans and sweatshirt with her legs propped up against the wall and decided to join her. They plopped down on either side of her, though with their backs against the wall as Sophie had done.

“Hey,” Andrea greeted, propping herself up on her elbows. “I was wondering where you two were.”

“We thought you’d be busy studying, so we-” George started, but was interrupted by Fred.

“George thought you’d be busy studying, so I decided I needed to take the chance to work on some of our projects,” Fred explained tersley, though he was smiling.

“All right, that’s pretty much the real story,” George conceded.

“George, I’m distracting for you from your enterprise? How sweet!” The three laughed. “What’s up though? You’ve been doing some serious thinking.”

“Well, we’re trying to think up a big diversion to get Umbridge away from her office so that Harry can get in.”

“What? Why does he need to get in Umbridge’s office?”

“Young Harry fancies a chat with someone in London,” Fred stated.

“Why can’t he just use the Gryffindor fire? Obviously Umbridge is monitoring, but she let me talk to Darren just a couple of days ago. Surely she doesn’t hate Harry so much that he can’t use the fire.”

“Well, it’s a bit more complicated than you think,” George was trying to find a way out of telling her that it was because Harry wanted to talk to the wanted Sirius Black, and that Umbridge had almost caught him in the fire last term.

“Well, who does he want to talk to?” she looked between the twins, but knew she wouldn’t be getting the name from them. “Sirius Black?” she asked in a whisper.

Fred gasped and George’s jaw dropped in surprise. Andrea smiled, chuckling to herself in satisfaction. “Your parents aren’t the only ones who work for the Order,” she explained in a low voice. “Now, what have you thought of so far?”

“Well, nothing is really big enough,” Fred pushed this big revelation about Andrea’s knowledge of the Order behind him.

“Besides the fireworks.”

“But she already knows to just leave them alone.”

“Everything else would only get him about five minutes.”

Andrea laid back down on the ground, now trying to think of which of the Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes products would work. Then she thought of something, and propped herself back up on her elbows again. “What about the swamp?”

“We thought about it.”

“But we can’t,” Fred shook his head.

“Why not?”

“It’s just a prototype.”

“We’ve never been able to test it.”

“Then it’s perfect! If something goes wrong with it, there’ll be just that much more of a catastrophe,” Andrea pointed out.

“She’s got a point,” Fred smiled.

“You’re bloody brilliant, A.”

“I know,” she smiled. George gave her a quick kiss as he and Fred got up and made their way across the common room to go and talk to Harry. Andrea went back to skimming through the career pamphlets. She was to meet with McGonagall tomorrow during Defense Against the Dark Arts, which meant she’d be able to escape Umbridge. That was a truly gratifying feeling.

~*~*~

“Hey George.”

“Yeah?”

“I have to ask you, why didn’t you just say it?”

“I don’t know.” George knew Fred was asking him about Andrea and the ‘I love you’ without any clarification, even though he’d brought it up out of the blue. “Because I never have.”

“But you do right?”

“I guess,” he mused. “I don’t know. How do you know?”

“I just think you know, you know?”

George thought about this for a moment.

“Yeah, I do. Why don’t you choose? I mean, you have to like one more than the others right?”

“Yeah, but now I don’t deserve her because I’m such a player,” Fred answered dejectedly, dodging a couple of second years as they plowed their way up to Transfiguration.

It was the morning of Operation Serious Sirius Chat. They’d spent a good five minutes congratulating themselves on the name before they’d gone on with the rest of the plans. They’d made a few back up plans even though they knew there was only one plan that would work. Stage one had gone off without a hitch: they’d planted the box with the swamp in the east wing.

“I’m kind of excited for this, you know?” Fred said after a minute.

“Me too, mostly, it’s just, circumstances being what they are. . .”

“It’s not the end of the world, George.”

“That’s because you’ve got nothing to lose,” he sighed, looking at his twin.

“Spoken like a true emotional wreck,” Fred gave him a shove as he opened the door to McGonagall’s classroom.

~*~*~

Andrea was surprised to find George waiting at the top of the stone steps that led down to the dungeons and Potions. Usually he just saved her a seat in the Great Hall. She was glad to see him though, Potions had been particularly excruciating. “Hello you,” she smiled.

“Hey,” he took her hand and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Mind if I steal her away, Soph?”

“Go ahead. Just bring her back in one piece, you hear,” Sophie instructed.

“It’d just be a bit of good practice for you if she came back with a broken arm though, wouldn’t it?” George winked. Andrea whacked his arm. “Honestly, it’s me you should be worried about. Need I remind us all of a little thing I like to call ‘the time Andrea punched Potter?’”

Sophie laughed and left the two them. Andrea put her hands on her hips, pretending to be rather angry. “It’s been almost three whole weeks since you mentioned that. I thought you’d forgotten, or at least decided not to torture me about it anymore.”

“Never,” he beamed. “Now come on.” He took her hand again and led her out of the Entrance Hall and out onto the grounds.

“Where are we going? I’m starving!”

“It’s a surprise; but don’t worry, I think I should know my own girlfriend well enough that I should bring sustenance if it’s going to be a lunchtime excursion,” he responded, giving her one of his smiles that always made her insides melt.

She stopped, pulling George so he was facing her and planted a soft kiss on his lips.

“I thought you were hungry.”

“I am, I am!”

He laughed, “There’ll be plenty of time for that once we get where we’re going.”

“Okay, I promise not to hinder our progress anymore.”

They walked for another fifteen minutes or maybe more. They’d walked so far along the edge of the Forbidden Forest that the castle was no longer in sight. The lake was off in the distance as well. They climbed up a small grassy hill, covered with freshly blooming wildflowers, a few small isolated trees at the top. George lifted his wand, “Accio Basket.”

A moment or two later a large picnic basket came zooming towards them. George caught it and then set it down on the grass. He pulled out a large blanket and spread it out on the ground. The two then pulled off their long black robes, setting them to the side. Andrea kicked off her shoes and George loosened his tie and rolled up his sleeves. He pulled out some sandwiches, drinks, fruits, sweets, everything for a nice picnic lunch.

After they finished eating Andrea looked at her watch. “I guess I won’t really make it to Arithmancy on time if I’ve only got three minutes until class starts. I hate walking in late, because I feel like I’m distracting everyone, so I suppose I’ll just skip today.”

“Good,” George smiled, “because I didn’t much feel like trudging back up to Charms either, and I’d’ve felt bad if you had to walk back to the castle by yourself.” He leaned back and settled his hands behind his head, looking up at the sky. Andrea settled herself next to him and they spent the next hour talking, laughing, sharing a few kisses, and just sitting in silence from time to time, watching the clouds roll by above them, simply enjoying each others company.

There was a moment when they were just watching the clouds silently that Andrea thought she knew a bit of what Darren had been talking about the other morning. George was holding her hand in his and let it rest on his chest. She looked over at him, he had his eyes closed, a faint smile gracing his lips. Then an odd feeling struck her, the feeling that everything was absolutely perfect, and that she could see herself doing this with George fifty years from now. It was a very serene sort of feeling.

Eventually Andrea looked at her watch again. She gave a heavy sigh, and rolled onto her elbow so she could look at George head on. “As much as I’d love to stay here for the rest of the day with you, I’ve got to get back. I’m supposed to meet with McGonagall for my Career Advisement.”

~*~*~

When they got up to McGonagall’s office, she wasn’t there yet, so George waited with Andrea. As each moment wore on, Andrea noticed that he seemed to be growing more and more apprehensive. “Hey, are you worried about the swamp thing? Is there anything I can help with?”

“No, not really, everything’s worked out,” he insisted. “Actually,” he spoke after a moment, “I need you to do something. I don’t know if Harry’s got a look out while he’s in Umbridge’s office. Hermione isn’t exactly keen on the whole plan, and I told Ron that if he wanted to see what we were going to do that he should come to the third floor in the east wing.”

“Don’t say another thing. Consider it handled.”

“Thanks,” he gave her a kiss on the forehead. “Actually, there’s something else.”

“Oh?”

“Well, Fred and I are pretty sure that we’ll probably have to, well, that’s not so important as, but because we might, I just wanted. . .” he was beginning to trail off.

“George, you’re rambling incomprehensibly.”

“Sorry,” he laughed. He put a hand on her cheek, his other arm wrapping around her waist to pull her close. “I just wanted you to know that I-”

Andrea didn’t find out what he was going to say though because at that moment, Peeves came zooming around the corner, shouting a string of profanities and dropping dung bombs everywhere, Professor McGonagall on his heels, using her wand to vanish the bombs, yelling at Peeves to shut his mouth. Needless to say, the couple broke apart.

“Miss Benning, I’m sorry I’m late,” McGonagall said, unlocking her door. “Mr. Weasley, you should be in class. Run along now.”

George nodded and turned to go on his way. He wasn’t about to give Andrea a proper goodbye with McGonagall watching them.

Andrea followed McGonagall into her office. The professor motioned to a chair in front of her desk, and the two each took their seats. “All right Miss Benning, straight to business. We are here to discuss your future and what you might be considering as a career. We’ll also determine which subjects you should continue in to reach your goals. Now, I trust you’ve been looking over the information provided in the Gryffindor common room?”

“Yes.”

“Very good. Has anything jumped out that particularly interests you?”

“Well, from the pamphlets themselves, not entirely. . .”

“Ah,” Professor McGonagall gave a small smile. “Say no more. You are a Benning after all. Professional Quidditch then?”

“Yes, that’s been my plan since I was five.”

“A high goal, yet it’s entirely attainable. I’ll expect that you try out for the house team next year. What position do you play?”

“Chaser.”

“Since Miss Johnson and Miss Spinnet will be leaving us, there will be a couple of spots open. Now, I want you to understand that your studies are still an important factor. I suggest that you continue in your best subjects. In addition to the fact that I require the students on my team to maintain certain marks in their subjects, a dedicated student who strives for top grades will show the talent scouts and coaches that you’re a hard worker, and that will give you a leg up on a chance at playing professionally. Understand?”

Andrea smiled and nodded at her professor. McGonagall pulled a leaflet from a pile on the side of her desk and opened it. “Now, I suggest you continue in Transfiguration, as I think you are particularly gifted in the subject. Defense Against the Dark Arts as well, though it seems Dolores Umbridge isn’t very pleased with you,” Andrea thought she saw a look of amusement when she said this. “Are you enjoying Arithmancy?”

“It’s a bit challenging, and I like it, but I actually prefer Astronomy.”

“Good, you should continue on with that as well then and drop Arithmancy. Charms will always be useful, and you’re well enough off in there. Do you wish to continue in Muggle Studies?”

“I like it well enough, but I don’t think I really want to study it anymore.”

“Fair enough. I also think you’ve come as far as you need to in Herbology, it’s not exactly your best subject.”

“I know,” Andrea mumbled.

“Now, Professor Snape says that you lack the motivation needed to become proficient in the art of potions making. However, I’ve known Severus long enough to be able to interpret what this really means. You must be really quite good, but you don’t think it’s quite worth your time. Am I right?”

Andrea laughed, “Pretty much.”

“Professor Snape is very annoyed with this it seems, he’s spoken to me once about it before. Now, aside from Potions coming in handy, not everyone is skilled in brewing them. I think you ought to continue because ease in Potions is rare. If I may ask a bit of a favor, I also want you to continue in the subject because if you really concentrated and began to excel in the subject, it would rather irritate Professor Snape, and I hate to miss an opportunity at that.”

“Are you serious, Professor?” Andrea laughed.

McGonagall smiled, her eyes twinkling with mirth. “Quite.”

“I’ll do it.”

“You’ll need top marks to get in, but I suspect you’ll be able to manage it quite easily enough. So it looks like you’ll be continuing in Astronomy, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms and Transfiguration. History of Magic too, of course, but from now on you’ll attend a simple bi-weekly lecture series, which is required of all sixth and seventh year students. How does that all sound?”

“A little overwhelming when you say them together, actually.”

“I have every confidence in you, Andrea. Now, you’re excused to go down to dinner. Classes will be out in a few moments and I won’t make you go to Defense Against the Dark Arts today.”

“Thank you, Professor,” Andrea stood and left. Instead of walking down to the Great Hall, she made her way along to the corridor with Umbridge’s office. A bell sounded and students began pouring out of their classes just as she got there. She stood over to the side of the hall, partly hidden by a statue. There was a huge bang off in the distance, and Andrea smiled. The plan was in motion. She watched Umbridge’s office, waiting for the door to open. George had told her that Harry would be using his invisibility cloak.

It wasn’t long before the door opened and then closed, seemingly of its own accord. About ten minutes later she was still watching the door, but listening for any approaching footsteps. Soon she heard the quick steps and wheezing of Filch. “What are you doing here?” he demanded.

“I fancied a bit of advice from Professor Umbridge, is that so wrong?” she lied.

“She’s off dealing with those Trouble Twins. Now clear off!”

When he turned around, she raised her wand and muttered, “Sonorus,” aiming at his feet. The sound of his rickety steps was instantly magnified, and Andrea smiled and ducked around the corner. He still had to walk the rest of the hallway before he got to Umbridge’s office, and she hoped it would be enough time for Harry to hear him approaching and get out of the fire and under the invisibility cloak.

She waited with bated breath. Filch came out, clutching a piece of parchment and going on about how he’d finally be able to do it. Andrea waited until the office door opened and closed again, then she waited a moment until she knew she’d be behind Harry. Sure enough, a floor down and closer to the Entrance Hall, Harry appeared out of nowhere, slipping a silvery garment into his schoolbag. She followed him the rest of the way and was shocked when they got to where the entire school seemed to be assembled around Fred and George, who were face to face with Umbridge and her Inquisitorial Squad.

“So. . . you think it amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?”

“Pretty amusing, yeah,” said Fred, looking back up at her without the slightest sign of fear.

“I’ve got the form, Headmistress,” Filch said hoarsely. “I’ve got the form and I’ve got the whips waiting. . . . Oh, let me do it now. . . .”

“Very good, Argus,” she said. “You two,” she went on, gazing down at Fred and George, “are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school.”

“You know what?” said Fred. “I don’t think we are.”

He turned to his twin.

“George,” said Fred, “I think we’ve outgrown full-time education.”

Andrea gaped at them.

“Yeah, I’ve been feeling that way myself,” said George lightly.

“Time to test our talents in the real world, d’you reckon?” asked Fred.

“No. Unbelievable,” Andrea whispered. She seemed to be one of the few who knew what was coming. She saw Lee across the way looking a bit upset because he knew too.

“Definitely,” said George.

Next moment they were summoning their brooms, announcing their departure, the opening of their own shop in Diagon Alley, and giving Peeves the solemn responsibility of driving Umbridge past her wit’s end. Then they were gone with thundering applause from the crowd that clearly adored the Trouble Twins.
The Wake of the Departure by electronicquillster
All she could do was stand there, dumbfounded, while the rest of the school spoke in awe and excitement and dispersed through the castle. She didn’t know just how long she’d been standing there. Finally she started to function again, and she saw Lee was in just as bad of shape as she was over this abrupt departure of the Trouble Twins. She raised her hand in a wave when Lee looked in her direction. He nodded and they walked toward each other, meeting halfway on the staircase. They sat there for a few moments in contemplative silence before Lee finally said something.

“So,” he offered, desperately looking for some semblance of normalcy.

“Yeah,” Andrea replied.

The silence returned. People merely walked around them on their way up and down the large staircase. They could see that the best friend and the girlfriend of the dearly departed needed their space.

“I mean, we can have fun without them, right?” Lee turned his head to look at her.

“I sure hope so,” she groaned

“Not exactly the inspiring answer I was looking for,” Lee frowned, and there was nothing left to do but laugh at their sad situation. Finally they picked themselves up and somewhat trudged back to the common room. There was an odd feeling when they got there. The absence of Fred and George in Gryffindor Tower was palpable.

“So, er, what is there to do around here now that we don’t have the boys?” Lee asked Andrea.

“Um,” she thought, “all I can think of to do is homework. There’s always some of that.” Lee gave her a look which clearly said he was horrified and repulsed by the idea. Andrea just shrugged. “I’m kind of at a loss for thinking of anything right now.” She sighed and looked around the common room. She spotted Angelina Johnson over in the corner; she’d just closed one of her books and had leaned back in her chair, apparently taking a pause. “Scratch that last comment, I thought of something,” she smiled and took Lee’s arm.

After five minutes or so of chatting with Angelina and Lee, Andrea excused herself, satisfied that Lee had the last piece he needed to get things going with Angelina. Lee was a slightly different person without the twins around. It was like he had a Weasley Twin mode, and when he was stripped of his crazy best friends, he retained his wit and easy-going nature, but he was able to tap into a stored up maturity. It was quite fascinating really.

Andrea snatched up one of the smaller study tables and slung her schoolbag onto it. She opened Advancing in Transfiguration: OWL Preparation and began reading chapter twenty-three. She whipped out some parchment, a quill and ink and put down notes while she read. An hour later she closed the book, finished with her reading, and had no recollection of what she’d actually read.

Amazingly though, she’d accumulated a fair amount of notes. Although she didn’t know how she’d done it, she was at least glad she wouldn’t have to read the whole chapter again. She was feeling a bit listless and couldn’t study anymore. People were watching her. Not everyone, but some, and though she didn’t look around at them, she knew why they were watching her. Some regarded Andrea and George as the Golden Couple, and had grown accustomed to seeing the two of them together. They were looking at her with pity, and she just didn’t like it all that well. She gathered up her things and went silently up to her dormitory. She heard Lavender and Parvati in their room giggling and chatting animatedly about something, but she didn’t really care what it was about.

Neither Sophie nor Hermione had come up to their room yet, but she wasn’t surprised by that. It was still early in the evening, too early to go to bed. She was glad for the quiet and the absence of the sympathy stares. It wasn’t like they’d broken up. It was just going to take some getting used to not having George around. Looking over the day’s events, it seemed pretty obvious now that George had an idea he might be leaving. He had planned the picnic for her after all. It had been wonderful. It had been a beautiful afternoon. It would be a long time until she would see him again. Not forever, but at that moment, it seemed like it would be forever. She changed into pajamas and then crawled onto her bed and gazed out the window.

She didn’t know just how long she had stayed there like that, but after a while the door to her room opened, and Sophie came in. “Hey, there you are, An. I’ve been looking for you.”

“Hey, Soph.” She smiled a tiny bit but kept her gaze out the window.

Sophie kicked off her shoes, then walked over and sat on the bed next to Andrea, enfolding her into a supportive hug. "How are you holding up?” Sophie asked her.

Andrea still had her eyes fixed on the night sky outside. “I miss him. It’s going to be weird, but I’ll manage. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?”

Sophie pulled back, but kept her hands on Andrea’s shoulders. She gave a firm nod.

Andrea sighed. “I just need tonight to take it in. I’ll deal with it tomorrow.”

“Sounds like a good plan. Do you want anything? I didn’t see you at dinner.”

Andrea shrugged. “I am a bit hungry.”

“I’ll see if I can find something for you.”

~*~*~

The next morning Andrea and Sophie didn’t wake up until Hermione sent off a bang in the room with her wand. The two shot up in their beds, looking around. “It’s a good thing I double-checked to make sure you two didn’t oversleep, or you would’ve missed History of Magic. You’ve only got half an hour!”

“Are you serious?” Sophie asked, hastily throwing her covers off.

“Blast,” Andrea groaned. She rolled out of bed and then the two girls hastily grabbed their clothes and went to the showers. They showered and wand-dried their hair in record time. Wand drying hair quickly doesn’t give it quite as nice an effect as if you take a little more time, but they were running late. Andrea could’ve cared less what her hair looked like today anyway, it’s not as if she was looking to be particularly attractive seeing as George was gone now, and she didn’t care about any of the other boys.

Twelve minutes after getting Hermione’s wake-up, Andrea and Sophie were heading out of Gryffindor tower. “Where’s Terry?” Andrea asked as they hustled down the halls and stairways to get to the Great Hall. “He usually meets you on the way to breakfast even when you’re late, doesn’t he?”

“Yeah, he always did. We broke up though,” Sophie answered simply.

“WHAT?” Andrea stopped dead in her tracks. “When? How did it happen?” she asked in shock.

Sophie tugged on her arm to get her to keep going. “I’ll explain it all, but let’s get going.”

“Okay, and I want details.”

Sophie took a deep breath. “We broke up last night, right after classes. We missed the whole departure of Fred and George.”

“Why didn’t you tell me last night?”

“You needed comforting more than I did,” Sophie smiled.

Andrea began to protest, but Sophie gently cut her off.

“Andrea, your relationship with George means a lot more than mine and Terry’s did.” She ignored the look on Andrea’s face and continued explaining. “When you told me about how you told George that you loved him, it made me think. I don’t love Terry. He means a lot to me, but I don’t love him. Who knows? Maybe in a couple of days or a couple of weeks, or a couple of years Terry and I will be in love. Right now we’re not. I just look at you and George, though, and what you have is so real. I’m out to look for that. Why not find it as early as possible?”

Neither spoke for a moment or two. Andrea glanced sideways at her longtime best friend. “You’ve really thought this over, haven’t you?”

They’d just entered the Great Hall at this point, and Terry waved genuinely at them, not looking sad or harboring any resentment.

“Terry and I still are important to each other and want to be friends, and he says that we get to judge any of the other person’s future prospects since we know what works for each other in a relationship and what doesn’t. Kind of nice, actually.”

“That is nice,“ Andrea agreed. “”It’s also rare.”

“I know, it really is amazing.”

“So do you really think it will be like that?”

“I sort of hope so. I hope that months of cultivating a relationship won’t be all for nothing,” Sophie shrugged.

The girls went down the table to where Roderick, Edward, and Katie were finishing their breakfast. Most people were finishing and getting on their way to classes.

“Sophie, what if George doesn’t love me though?” Andrea asked suddenly before they reached the others.

“Nonsense. Take a look at your afternoon with him yesterday! Besides, the proof is right there,” Sophie pointed to an owl that waiting anxiously next to Roderick.

“Finally! We were wondering whether you had been swallowed by your blankets,” Roderick smiled. “This owl won’t let me touch the letter, and he won’t go away either. He stole my toast, the little blighter.”

They all laughed, and Andrea’s heart skipped a beat when she saw the letter attached had her name written on it in what could only be George’s handwriting. She sat down, quickly detached the letter, and broke the seal.

Ed, Rick and Katie left for their class, Rick kissing Andrea on the forehead as he stood.

Dear Andrea,

Fred and I spent last night in Hogsmeade. Madam Rosmerta put us up in one of her few boarding rooms. She’s always had a bit of a soft spot for us, which is to be expected. Who doesn’t? Other than Umbridge. Percy maybe as well, probably all of that ribbing we gave him about being Prefect and then Head Boy had a bit to do with why he was always so angry with us.

Mum was pretty angry when she heard we’d left. I don’t know how she heard so quickly. Maybe Umbridge sent her a notification about her “delinquent boys.” Got her Howler this morning. Not the best way to wake up, but Fred’s writing to her about how we’ve actually planned and prepared and that our actions aren’t as rash as she thinks. Like we announced when we left, Fred and I already have a shop secured in Diagon Alley. We’ll open up this Friday. Not before ten. Anyone in their right minds shouldn’t wake up too early as a habit. That’s one thing I won’t be missing about Hogwarts.

I’ll be missing you though. Lee as well. Keep an eye on him. He’s likely to be pretty lost without me and Fred. I’ll be counting the days till we’ll see you and Lee once the Hogwarts Express rolls into London.

Give my regards to Umbridge,
George


Sophie read the letter right after Andrea handed it to her. “See,” she smiled. “He wrote you first thing this morning, and he already confesses to missing you. There’s nothing for you to worry about.”

At lunch Andrea sat with Sophie, Seamus, Neville, Dean and Ginny. It wasn’t really that different. She and George had sat together with all of these people, as well as other Gryffindors in sixth and seventh year, but now she was sitting there without him by her side. It was awkward. It was like that feeling you carry around after you cut your hair, and you go to brush it, and it’s not there.

Other than that feeling that something was missing, it had been a normal day.

Until Elsie Smoot approached her. Elsie was a sixth year Ravenclaw, Lee’s cousin, and the queen of the Hogwarts gossip mill. It was well known among the students that if you wanted even the most obscure tidbits of information on anyone inside Hogwarts, you could easily get what you needed from Elsie Smoot. If anyone knew it, she would. If you didn’t want your information noised abroad, you could either pay her off to keep quiet or keep it quiet yourself in the first place.

“Hello, Andrea.” She wasn’t actually friends with Elsie, but she wasn’t surprised that the girl knew her name. She was the center of student knowledge, after all. “Mind if I sit a minute?”

“Go ahead, Elsie,” Andrea smiled, a bit bewildered as well as slightly nervous.

“I’m sure you must know I’m here on business,” Elsie flashed a grin. “I’m going to assume that even though George is gone, you’re still together. Is that right?”

“Of course it is,” Sophie answered for her.

“That is good to hear.” Elsie’s smile was actually very warm now. “I always liked you two as a couple,” she said, lowering her voice slightly. The others around them were polite enough to take the cue and go on with their conversations. “Even though you’re not a couple that I set up, I saw it coming. However, you and I are both realistic. I want you to know that if things end with George while I’m still at Hogwarts, I’ll set you up with the best. You just let me know because you’re on the ‘it list.’”

Andrea blushed furiously. She’d heard rumors that Elsie Smoot ran a bit of a matchmaking service, and she now had her confirmation that it was true. “‘It list?’”

“Definitely. Now, on to the other thing I wanted to talk to you about. What are you doing tonight? The UFFC is having a wake-”

“UFFC?”

Elsie gave a laugh before explaining, “The Unofficial Fred Fan Club.”

“You’ve got to be joking me!” Andrea joined in the laughter.

“I wish I were. Formed just this morning. They’re holding something of a wake tonight for his departure, and they want you and Lee to come speak about him.”

Andrea just stared at her blankly for a moment, wanting to laugh, but a little too disturbed at the thought of obsessed fan girls. “I’ll be there,” she finally answered. “I’ll drag Lee with me if he refuses to come, but I doubt he will. It should be rather entertaining. But I have to ask, has this club approved by her royal Umbridge?”

“‘Course not,” Elsie laughed. “That toad doesn’t have any control over this school anymore.”

“Well, then you can definitely count me in. I would’ve had to refuse if Umbridge had endorsed it.”

~*~*~

“So, you really were serious about meeting in the girl’s toilet,” Lee snickered.

“Yeah, not a bad idea at all. You’ll be the only bloke, so if there’s any intruder trouble, we’ll shove you in the toilet, and then you can make all sorts of unpleasant noises to scare off anyone from checking your stall,” Andrea explained as they entered the first meeting of the UFFC.

There was a squeal as they crossed the threshold of the doorway, and they were immediately greeted by a girl with blonde hair and a contagious grin. Her vibrant eyes were framed by copious amounts of blue eye liner, which fit the sixth year Ravenclaw rather well. “I’m absolutely electrified you two could make it,” Haley Holabird trilled, taking one of each of their hands.

“Eclecterfied?” Lee whispered to Andrea, who just shrugged as Haley went on.

“We want you both to talk for a few minutes about Fred, and I’ll announce when we want you to step up for that. We’re going to-oh! Shanae, there you are!” she waved at a girl who had just shown up. “Feel free to sit wherever,” she finished, motioning around the bathroom.

Andrea just laughed as she looked around the room. There were cushy chairs all around the room, red flags and ribbons, and even posters of Fred.

“Fred is not going to believe this,” Lee muttered.

“We could never even tell him about this! He might just go and make it his official club, and then we’d never hear the end of it!” Andrea cried.

They took a spot near the back of the room, next to a girl with brown hair. She had her sleeves rolled up, and her blue tie was loose around her neck. She smiled at them, and she and Lee began to chat.

“Andrea, this is Emily Albain, she’s in sixth year, but she lives down the road from my house,” Lee explained.

The three chatted for a few minutes. It was mostly Lee talking to Emily, who was obviously one who was shy around new people, but eager to talk with old friends. When there was a bit of a lull in the conversation, Andrea pursued a thought that had just occurred to her. “So what do you think will happen if we happen to be caught? We already decided that we’d shove Lee into a stall and have him scare people away from it, but all these decorations?”

“Haley and I worked on them for a couple of hours this afternoon,” Emily explained. “We created a few of the banners at lunch. If we need to abandon everything in a hurry, all I have to do is snap this pencil in two and everything vanishes.”

“That’s brilliant,” Lee said.

Emily smiled, “Honestly, I wouldn’t even be staying if I weren’t intrigued about what will probably erupt here tonight.” At this she pointed to the other side of the room. “Anna Pevensie, in Hufflepuff, looked like she barely refrained from hurling her eggs at Haley. I’ve a feeling she’s very annoyed that Hal came up with the idea first.”

That was all the information there was time for though. Haley was at the center of the bathroom calling everyone’s attention for the start of the meeting. Andrea, however, was watching Anna Pevensie intently. She had a dark look on her face, a mix between rage and sadness.

Haley beamed at the gathering, “As the president of the Unofficial Fred Fan Club, I’m so happy to welcome everyone to the first meeting and wake. We’ll start off by letting people share their memories of Fred, and then we’ll hear from Lee Jordan and Andrea Benning. I’ll start of with my own fond memories...”

Andrea listened as Haley shared her experiences. She noticed that there were angry whispers while Haley spoke, but she didn’t chalk it up to more than jealousy on the part of the other girls. Then people began taking their own turns.

The girl called Shanae got up and relayed how she and Fred had gone out on the grounds to lie out by the lakeand gaze at the stars. Andrea found it odd that they had gone out for a romantic evening by the lake, as it hadn't been long that their destination was considered fertile ground for romance.

“Shocking how uncreative Fred was with these birds,” Lee remarked after they’d heard basically the same outline of an evening shared between Fred and yet another girl, this one experiencing a narrow escape from Filch and ending up in a broom cupboard hiding together.

Andrea nodded in agreement. Then one girl got up and spoke about the night of passion she and Fred had shared. At least, she started to. She was interrupted by a shrill cry from Anna. “You little liar! How dare you make such a claim?”

“Oh, good!” Lee spoke in an undertone to Andrea. “I was worried I was about to get far too much information.”

“I make that claim because it’s true!” the seventh year Ravenclaw spat back at Anna.

“But it’s not true! Julie talked to Fred, and he said he hadn’t been sleeping around!”

“Hang on there,” Haley flared up as well.

But from that moment on, it was hard to decipher just what was being said, and who was flinging insults at whom. Andrea and Lee looked at each other, making the silent decision that it was time to bail out on the chaos. They barely made it through the crowd of girls now snapping at each other before the hexes started to fly.

“Got a bit boring right up to before that explosion, don’t you think?” Lee asked. “Honestly, I got sick of hearing the same thing over and over.”

“No kidding,” Andrea laughed.

“You’d think Fred’d be a bit more creative, though I guess he didn’t have to come up with many ideas if he was using them on different girls nearly every time.”

Though they laughed most of the way back, Andrea was still very much thinking about the meeting and how odd it was. It wasn’t just the fact that the UFFC existed; it was what they’d said in their ‘testimonials’ and, as Lee had stated, just how similar all their stories were.

~*~*~

Andrea pulled out some parchment, a quill and ink and sat down to the desk in the small sitting room of their dormitory. She thought for a very long time before she started writing anything in her letter. She really couldn’t believe how outrageous the UFFC meeting had been. There was something more to the whole thing, but she wasn’t quite sure how she was going to find out just what that something was.

She debated whether or not to write to George about the UFFC. She finally came to the conclusion that it could wait. She was going to get to the bottom of it herself, and she thought the knowledge would come in handy later. Finally she dipped the quill into the green ink and began to write.

Dear George,

You’ve only been gone one day, and already Lee is bored out of his mind. I probably would be too if it weren’t for all the studying I have to do. Everyone is starting to become obsessively paranoid about the exams. Including the teachers it seems, as I’ve been assigned about ninety essays just today.

There is no end of chaos around the castle now. It seems everyone is competing for the opening of top prankster now that you and Fred have gone. No one even comes close to Peeves though. I think he truly admired the two of you, because he seems to have taken your last request to heart. Umbridge and Filch can’t keep up with everything going on, and it’s only been one day.

I’d love to write more but word is that Sophie’s looking for me. She wants to study. Go figure. I don’t want to study anymore for the rest of my life, but that’s not likely to be a possibility. I’ve done a pretty good job of eluding her so far this evening, but I may as well throw her a bone tonight.

Write again soon,
Andrea


She rolled up the parchment and then headed out to the owlery before curfew. She’d take as long as she could because Sophie couldn’t complain about sending off a letter to George.
Chapter 21 by electronicquillster
Author's Notes:
After an eternal hiatus, I've finally produced an acceptable chapter. It's long and I hope that some sort of consolation, but I really must thank all the people who nagged encouraged me to keep going. There's only a little bit left, so a review to let me know of anything you'd like to know about before the story ends would be good. I'm gonna be tying up all the loose ends.

And fear not, you will find out what the lightning bond is in chapter 22. *wink*

As in other chapters, large sections of italics that aren't letters are direct quotations from Order of the Phoenix, approximately pg. 706 area of the book, the chapter entitled "O.W.L.s" for those interested.
Dear Andrea,

Of course I’d write again soon. I’m glad to hear that you want to concentrate on your studies, but don’t work yourself too hard. They’re just tests, after all. I guess it affects some of your options after Hogwarts. I wouldn’t know really, this is sort of what I’d planned on for a while. Merlin, I don’t even know what you’re planning on after school! What sort of boyfriend am I?

Andrea, please inform me of this minor detail about you.

Business is absolutely booming. It’s hard to believe I was leaving Hogwarts two weeks ago. Fred and I have been working almost nonstop in the shop. I’ve never been busier, but I’ve never been so proud except for when we won the Quidditch cup two years ago. It’s really amazing though. I wish you could be here to see it all!

I really miss you, too. I miss your beautiful eyes and the way they light up when you laugh. I miss the way your head fits on my shoulder after a long day. I miss your sage wisdom. I miss your sweet words as they roll out of your mouth, letters aren’t quite the same. Here I am getting all sentimental! See what you do to me?

Mum is finally coming to terms with everything that’s happened. I think. She’s even come by the store a couple of times and brought us some lunches. We’re staying with a friend in London. I think he’s very glad for the company. People are always coming and going from his house and so he’s always glad to have people staying with him for extended periods of time.

Missing your smile,
George

P.S. Give Peeves a hello from me and Fred.




Andrea folded up the letter, which she’d read maybe a dozen times over the past few days, and shoved it angrily back inbetween the pages of her Arithmancy book. She was finding it hard to focus on the review assignment that had been set to them by Professor Vector that day in Arithmancy. There were still seven minutes before they’d be dismissed for break. That gave Andrea the time she needed to plot.

Sophie was driving her crazy.

Andrea knew that Sophie was a smart girl. She always had been a very studious person, and it made her classmates wonder why she wasn’t in Ravenclaw, but she’d really turned up the heat now that O.W.L.s were creeping ever closer. Somehow Dean and Seamus managed to avoid Sophie often enough to keep up some semblance of sanity, but Andrea was beginning to lose it.

Right after George had left, the constant studying had been fine. Now she was over the separation factor. She and George exchanged letters frequently, and she’d come to terms with the fact that those letters would have to suffice for now. That’s not to say that she didn’t check the common room’s notice board everyday, multiple times a day, in hopes of there being an announcement for a trip to Hogsmeade, even if she was mad George hadn’t told her he was leaving her high and dry. However, she was jumping back into the life that had been neglected for a while.

During the school year she, Sophie, Roderick and Edward had all been having romantic relationships of some sort. Now Roderick no longer had Sarah, and Sophie and Andrea had been freed from their men, so they started to all gravitate toward one another again. Andrea was spending more time with Dean and Seamus again, as well.

It was a good thing she was nearly finished with the Arithmancy review problems for the day. It was getting harder to concentrate on anything. Studying was not appealing, and when she did study for lengthy amounts of time, she didn’t retain anything she went over because she got distracted by little things that reminded her of George.

She drummed her fingers unceasingly on the desk. The students around her would’ve been shooting her irritated looks had she not cast a small Silentium across the surface of her desk. She rested her chin on her other hand, propping her head up by her elbow. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Sophie bent over her review assignment. In front of her was Siobhan Murphy, who appeared to be asleep. Siobhan usually sat in the back of class, the last to arrive and the first to leave. Andrea had learned not to be fooled by the nonchalance the Slytherin put off - the girl was nearly the top of the class.

Andrea wasn’t even sure that Siobhan was really asleep. Her red hair was falling into her face, and her eyes were closed, but Andrea wouldn’t wager on it.

Andrea liked the color of Siobhan’s hair. It was so vibrant and fiery.

The cool spring evenings were giving way to warm summer nights. Andrea couldn’t complain too much because she did love summer, but she also enjoyed sitting around a fire before heading off to bed. She had spent dozens of evenings in front of the fire with George, laughing, kissing, talking, watching the flames and flickering sparks and snaps-

That’s it! she thought.

Exploding Snap was her answer.

~*~*~

The castle grounds were gleaming in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkling lake, the satin-green lawn rippled occasionally in a gentle breeze: June had arrived, but to the fifth years this meant only one thing: Their O.W.L.s were upon them at last.

Their teachers were no longer setting them homework; lessons were devoted to reviewing those topics their teachers thought most likely to come up in the exams. Andrea’s plan, Operation Exploding Snap Tournament, was working so far. Edward and Roderick didn’t need a reason to play the game, but the thought of organizing a house-wide tournament in the common room seemed like an even greater way to spend the end of the year. Many of the other Gryffindors were signing up.

Andrea didn’t know quite what Sophie thought of all of this. She didn’t seem to suspect Andrea’s hand in any of it. Andrea was actually a little worried. Was her best friend studying so much that she didn’t realize what was going on? Maybe Sophie needed some sort of intervention. In the meantime, she had to make sure that Operation Exploding Snap went smoothly, but she also had to avoid a lot of the girls from other houses. The Unofficial Fred Fan Club was still going strong, and they still wanted Andrea to come and speak at one of their meetings.

However, Andrea didn’t want to come and talk about Fred and George. Now that she was over the shock of George’s sudden disappearance, she was really beginning to analyze things. At first, she’d been so overwhelmingly sad and surprised, and she’d had to figure out what to do from day to day now that the Twins were gone. Now that she’d finally adjusted to life without George, she realized that she was very angry.

George had not said one thing, and it was obvious that he knew he was probably going to leave. He’d planned the special afternoon, he’d had everything packed away for transport. Even worse was that he’d nearly told her, and then hadn’t at the last moment. He’d never even said that he loved her back.

Oh, she knew he cared, but she felt like George could have played things a lot differently. So three days after the last letter she’d received from George, Andrea sent off a letter in reply.

I’m going to play Quidditch. Glad your mum likes the shop.

~*~*~

[Hermione] was not the only person acting oddly as the O.W.L.s drew steadily nearer. Ernie Macmillan had developed an irritating habit of interrogating people about their study habits.

“How many hours d’you think you’re doing a day?” he demanded of Harry and Ron as they queued outside Herbology, a manic gleam in his eyes.

“I dunno,” said Ron. “A few . . .”

“More or less than eight?”

“Less, I s’pose,” said Ron, looking slightly alarmed.

“I’m doing eight,” said Ernie, puffing out his chest. “Eight or nine. I’m getting an hour in before breakfast every day. Eight’s my average. I can do ten on a good weekend day. I did nine and a half on Monday. Not so good on Tuesday -- Only seven and a quarter. Then on Wednesday --”


Andrea, while watching the whole scene play out, thought that Harry looked rather glad to have Professor Sprout call them into the greenhouse at that moment. Once Sprout had given them their task for the day, repotting the starts for Aldaisins, and set them to gather their supplies, Andrea went to get a jar of soil while Sophie got the plant from the table Professor Sprout had set them out on.

At the soil bin, Andrea found herself elbow to elbow with Harry. “Hello,” Andrea said.

Harry looked up in mild surprise. “Hi.”

“All of this studying for O.W.L.s is a bit mental, yeah?”

Harry gave a snort of assent.

“I don’t know about you, but I spend about eight hours every day trying not to study.”

Harry laughed. “You either know it, or you don’t, though I’m finding there’s a lot I can’t remember for the life of me.”

“I begin to go mental with worry when I study too much.”

“I know what you mean.”

Andrea finished filling her pot and then went back to where Sophie was waiting for her. They potted the Aldaisin without much trouble and quickly enough that Professor Sprout let the two go a few minutes early. On their walk back to the castle, Sophie asked Andrea if she wanted to study in the common room or in the library that night.

“Oh, I can’t study with you tonight, Sophie.”

“Why not?”

“Tonight’s the big Exploding Snap tournament, I can’t miss it! The entry fee was four Galleons and seven Sickles.”

“I bet I could talk to Ed and Roderick and get them to give you your money back,” Sophie offered.

“Oh, I don’t know...”

“No, I’ll talk to them about it, you just leave it to me.”

Andrea only shrugged. It was Friday night, and she really didn’t want to study; that was why she’d told her brother to make it tonight.

~*~*~

Sophie wasn’t on time to dinner, so Andrea sat next to Dean and Seamus. It wasn’t too long before Sophie finally did show up. She sat down with a small smile, then started filling her plate. After two bites of steak and kidney pie, Sophie set down her fork, crossed her arms to lean on the table and looked pointedly at Andrea.

“What?” Andrea asked after she’d swallowed her bit of food.

“You want to tell me what’s going on?”

Dean and Seamus began their own private conversation, and Andrea looked down the table to see Roderick, who shrugged at her. Sophie watched Andrea expectantly. Andrea stabbed her roll with her knife and then turned to face her best friend.

“I can’t study,” Andrea confessed. “I need this little break, and I need to have the breaks every now and again.”

“I wondered when you were going to admit that,” Sophie laughed. “I’ve been waiting for you to ask for a study break for weeks.”

“You have?”

“I admit I didn’t suspect all of your ‘stealth’ scheming. It’s been very entertaining, though, now that I think about it. I’ll just study by myself tonight.”

“No, Sophie, you need a study break as much as I do. Especially if it took something as big as Operation Exploding Snap to blow my cover,” Andrea insisted.

“Yes, Roderick did think I was pretty crazy for assuming that they’d make you pay an entry fee when you were family, not to mention the one who inspired the idea for the whole event in the first place.”

“It’s settled then. I’m forcing a study break on us.”

“So, what will we do tonight?”

“There’s always the Snap, but my original plan was to do something mindless and brain numbing with Lavender and Parvati,” Andrea said with a shrug. “Lavender said she had something planned anyway.”

“Wonder what that could be?” Sophie pointed at an owl headed their way.

The owl landed near Andrea’s hand and stuck his foot out. Andrea untied the small package, which couldn’t have been any larger than one of her fingers. The owl then rubbed its head affectionately against her hand before flying away. She pulled the tag from it, and opened it to read To Andrea - Needs Engorgio Charm.

It was from George.

Her heart fluttered even though her blood boiled. Andrea pulled out her wand, cast the enlarging charm, and then opened the box. Inside was a small sack of Swedish toffees, a small box of chocolate, a pint of her favorite Fortescue ice cream, some yellow roses and a package of something called “Andrea’s Invisibility Gum.”

Well, at least he’d gotten the point that she was upset.

~*~*~

“Ready?” Andrea asked Sophie before they left their room. They were going somewhere they hadn’t been in years: Lavender and Parvati’s room. The other two girls just seemed so different.

“I’m ready,” Sophie answered. They looked at each other and rolled their eyes before going to meet their company for the evening. When they opened their bedroom door, Lavender and Parvati were already sitting in the room between the bedrooms, and there was a giggling group of girls all around them, most of them fourth and sixth years, but there were a few third years as well.

“Finally!” Lavender cried. “We’ve been waiting for the two of you! Now that everyone’s here, I’ll explain the rules of the game. Parvati and I came up with it. It’s called ‘Seek the Hidden.’”

“Yes,” Parvati chimed in. “Everyone needs one of these necklaces,” she explained, passing them around the group. “You wear this, and the charm emits a bit of a wave of magic. Lavender and I will be the Seekers, and the rest of you all hide. We find you by using our own Seeking Stones to tell when we’re getting closer to or farther away from someone.”

“This sounds like Hide and Seek,” one of the fourth years said. Her friends gave her an odd look. “It’s a Muggle game.”

“And Hot/Cold,” one of the sixth years added.

“The charms,” Lavender continued, “also make it so that only those playing the game can hear you, so you shouldn’t attract Filch or anyone else, but you’ll still be visible, so keep yourselves discreet.”

Sophie and Andrea looked at each other. This was definitely impressive. It would take quite a bit of clever charm work to create these charms with all their properties. Lavender and Parvati finished explaining the game, setting the boundaries, and then the girls left through the common room, separating in the hall to go different ways. It was never defined that one of the rules was that you couldn’t hide in the same place with someone else, but they all assumed that was the case. The boundaries for hiding were very large, making it so the game could last a very long time. Andrea knew just where she was going to hide.

After following a series of corridors and staircases, Andrea finally approached the statue of Boris the Bewildered, passed by it, and stopped in front of a statue of a large warthog. She pulled on the tusk that was actually a lever, and a series of stones in the wall sunk back and slid to the side, creating the entrance to the twins’ old secret lab. Just as she’d hoped, there were still comfy couches, making it a good place to hide. The chances that Lavender and Parvati would even be able to find the entrance to the room were almost impossible anyway.

However, couches weren’t the only things left in the lab. There were a few open boxes, only half full with various joke products. There were a few notes scattered here and there, as well. There were a few papers openly left out on a table, and Andrea picked them up. Across the top were the words ‘Operation Serious Sirius Chat.’ Andrea frowned slightly as she scanned the rest of the pages. Then she saw something that made her stomach boil with guilt. There, on the back of one of the pages, was the same thing scribbled over and over again.

GW + AB

It was there about five times. There was a scraping sound, and Andrea jumped in a panic because that meant someone had just opened the secret door. She stood still, holding her breath, with her eyes on the door. The person entered, and gave a small scream.

“Andrea?” the intruder questioned.

“Ginny?” Andrea couldn’t mistake the pretty girl with the vibrant red hair, but she was surprised that she’d turned up here.

“Sorry, I didn’t know anyone would be here, though I guess it’s obvious you would’ve known about the twins’ lab.”

“Well, it’s the perfect place to hide.” Andrea smiled.

Ginny nodded. They would both hide here. “How are you doing?”

Andrea shrugged. “I sigh a lot lately.”

Ginny smiled, obviously able to guess what Andrea had been feeling of late. “He actually writes to me about you to get information, but I told him I wasn’t going to get involved and that he could get his own information from you. He said your last letter was a little short.”

“‘Little’ would be an understatement,” Andrea groaned.

“If you do want to talk, I won’t be telling George anything. George has been a complete git as far as I can tell, but he’s a decent git who cares about you.” Ginny smiled reassuringly, and Andrea smiled back at her.

“It feels like he should’ve told me he was leaving. It’s obvious to me now that he knew it was probably going to happen, and I just want him to have told me that.”

“Blokes do not know how to use their brains,” Ginny laughed.

“No,” Andrea agreed, “no they don’t. But Fred and George did know how to stock this room.” Andrea pulled a box out from under one of the work tables that she’d remembered had butterbeers and sweets. There was a rustle of parchment as she moved the box, and when it was out of the way, it revealed more notes for products. For one product in particular. “Patented Daydream Charm Research,” Andrea read aloud. Ginny gave her a curious look.

“What sort of daydreams, I wonder?” Andrea asked, settling in with a butterbeer to examine this new evidence. She remembered vaguely that George had once mentioned them, and that Fred had been making vast improvements. Improvements that George was highly impressed with, since he didn’t even have anything to do with this research. Andrea actually guessed that George was more surprised than impressed. Especially because of what was on these notes.

Ginny and Andrea poured over the numerous pages of parchment in awe. All of it was in Fred’s handwriting, and it held many more details than the girls cared to know about. “Do you know what this means?”

Andrea gave an astonished laugh. “It means Emeline Bingham was wrong. We were all wrong.”

“Fred wasn’t the most disgusting Don Juan ever.”

“He was just a tremendous opportunist.”

~*~*~

In Transfiguration, Professor McGonagall took a few minutes to explain to her Gryffindors what to expect during the weeks of O.W.L. examinations. Some of the Muggleborn students seemed a little more nervous after their head of house’s words, but for the people who had older siblings or other family that had suffered through the tests, the information didn’t bring much to light that they didn’t already know. Andrea actually did pay attention, though. She was starting to get more than a bit nervous about the exams.

“It isn’t bad enough they’re torturing us with tests, but they’re going to spread it out over two weeks?” Harry asked conversationally as he sat down next to Andrea. Professor McGonagall had split the class up into pairs to review the Chameleon Object transformation spells.

“I know,” Andrea groaned. “I can not wait until exams are over!” Andrea tried not to feel too sore over the fact that Harry was making much more progress with the initial camouflaging of his quill than she was.

Harry’s quill then suddenly burst into flames, and she tried even harder not to laugh at this fact. Harry dropped his head down on the desk. Andrea put out the tiny fire, and then they both laughed together silently. Harry may have been making progress, but setting it on fire could definitely be considered a step back.

They spoke rather genially. Especially considering the fact that Andrea had punched him once. It actually was a great opportunity to tell Harry what she’d been waiting to tell him for ages. But she couldn’t just tell him the big secret now - in the middle of Transfiguration. One didn’t have heart-to-heart conversations that revealed lifelong secrets in the middle of class. Andrea just couldn’t do it. But she did think through the whole conversation in her head. It was good to practice what she would’ve said. However, Harry’s half of the dialogue in her mind made her a bit worried. She would wait.

Transfiguration was not a place for revealing life-altering secrets. Besides, it would be good to start building a friendship first. It would make things easier later.