Don't Say a Thing by FreeWinky
Summary: Ron has been away from home too long for Mrs Weasley's liking. Why? Because he is now the only unmarried son left. So, this time when he is home for a special family celebration, she takes him to task and makes sure that he takes this issue of "settling down" seriously. But, Ron had given up on finding love on his own. Will he find love with the help of his parents? Sure, he will. But....how?
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 23589 Read: 42567 Published: 04/25/05 Updated: 05/11/08

1. Prologue by FreeWinky

2. Going Home by FreeWinky

3. Meet the Family by FreeWinky

4. The Unexpected Task by FreeWinky

5. A Day in the Life of Hermione Granger by FreeWinky

6. Surprise!!!! by FreeWinky

7. Let the Dating Game Begin and....End! by FreeWinky

8. Revelations by FreeWinky

9. Meet Matthew by FreeWinky

10. Ron's Decision by FreeWinky

11. What Happens Now? by FreeWinky

Prologue by FreeWinky
Don’t Say A Thing




Disclaimer: All the characters that look familiar have been created by JK Rowling and have just been used to fit in a plot written by me. No songs used throughout the story are written by me. Any similarity of non-JKR characters and plot is purely coincidental. No money has been gained in writing of this fanfic and it is just for entertainment.



Genre: Drama/Romance





Ship: Mainly Ron/Hermione.





Scenario: Ron and Hermione have been dating since the sixth year when they went to Hogsmeade without Harry. But the war broke out and they were distanced from each other as they devoted all their time to Harry. Nevertheless, dating each other had brought out their pent-up feelings out a little. The prologue takes place in the last day of their Hogwarts life.

~*~





Prologue






It was over. Everything. The war...the evil...Voldemort...and their time at Hogwarts. It created a silence in the seventh year student community as they packed their belongings and prepared to leave the castle that had been their home for the larger part of the past seven years. It had been a place where they had always felt safe, no matter what had been happening in the rest of the world.



Hermione was looking out her window, the one that showed her the vast expanse of the Forbidden Forest. The same forest where she had had the first detention of her life, with Harry, Hagrid, Neville and…Malfoy. All the sweetness that was in her mind when she thought of the first three people vanished with just the slightest thought of the fourth name. It was then replaced with the bitterness that could only be associated with the war. The same war which, not only cost her a few physical injuries (“warrior injuries”, she called them), but also a lot of mental and emotional fatigue.



She was happy that that the Second War was now over. Harry could start his life and lead it as he wanted to, without having to live up to anybody’s expectations. Now he didn’t have to be the “Boy-Who-Lived”, or the ray of hope that the whole world had been clinging to for 17 years. Also, coming to an end was his life of being at the receiving end of countless stares, most of which rested on the horrible lightning bolt-shaped scar on his forehead. Hermione also knew that whatever Harry did, Ron was sure to always be there for him, and participate in everything, with him. As different as they were, they did share the same views on what they wanted to do with their lives. Hermione had really begun to respect, admire, and…adore the loyalty that Ron showered on Harry.



Adore? Yes, adore. From sixth year on, she had begun to notice the adoration for him grow whenever she, Harry, Ron, and Ginny sat in the common room talking and discussing various topics, ranging from how to protect Harry from Voldemort, to Quidditch. Whenever Ron would speak excitedly about Quidditch (eventually leading to animated chatter about the Chudley Cannons), she would lose track of what he was actually saying, and would instead concentrate on how his blue eyes brightened whenever he said, “Wronski Feint”, and how his hearty laugh, that sounded like a gurgling brook, caused ripples in her mind. Then Ginny would nudge her and she would come out of her reverie only to notice a red tinge to Ron’s ears. She always thought that the blush came from some teasing Harry and Ginny did, about some or the other girl, when she wasn’t listening. After all, Ron was quite attractive, or was she the only one who thought that?



The gentle tapping of a smart brown owl on the window interrupted her thoughts. Wondering who the sender of the message might be, she let the owl inside, and opened the letter that it had brought:



Dear Miss Granger,



This letter is in response to the application that you sent into the Auror Training Program last June. It gives us immense pleasure to tell you that you have been accepted into the program, which will start on September 1st.



Due to high recommendations that have arrived from Albus Dumbledore and other such prestigious dignitaries in the Ministry, we have also decided to put your training as an Auror in a scholarship, which means that you will be exempted from all the fees normally required to participate in this program.



The courses in the program will include lessons (theory and practical) in Advanced Defense techniques (both magical and non-magical), Stealth, Potions, Disguise, and your chosen field of expertise. It is a course of four years after which, there is an internship of one year.



Kindly respond to this letter within two days of receipt.



Yours truly,

Kingsley Shacklebolt

H.O.D., Department of Magical Law Enforcement




Hermione sighed and wondered what she should do. Thinking of the past war helped her reach her final decision.



No, she decided. She didn’t want to see any more havoc, bloodshed, or disorder than what she had seen already. According to her mind, that was enough to last her a lifetime. After all, it was all this that caused the wave of fatigue that was currently lulling all the parts of her brain slowly into hibernation. As she lay down on her bed, she decided that she didn’t want to become an Auror, and thus contradicted all the ambitions she had had since her 4th year. Now what she wanted, was a job that would give her some peace. What that would be, she didn’t know, but it surely was out there, waiting for her.



As she felt the need for sleep screaming in her brain, she smiled to herself, thinking of the time when Harry and Ron had, jokingly, told her that her body was now demanding its compensation for all the rest it had to forgo over the last seven years. But, jokes apart, they respected her need for rest and left her alone to sleep when she wanted to. In her mind, she agreed with Madam Pomfrey: that, after the war and her contribution to it, with her tireless planning of strategies, her mind was tired and it needed its share of healthy and refreshing thoughts, and sleeping was the only way she could get them.



With that thought in her mind, she fell asleep.



~*~



After what seemed to her a long time, Hermione woke up in response to a soft knock at her door.



“Come in.”



The door opened to reveal Ginny.



“Hi, Hermione. Had a good nap?”



“Yes, Ginny. I sure did. So, tell me. What managed to get you to the Head Girl Dormitory and away from Harry?” Hermione asked with mischievous smile.



“Oh, shut up, Hermione. I told you there is nothing between Harry and I….”



“I know. I know. Just checking.”



“And just what is that supposed to mean? Never mind, I didn’t come here to discuss that. Harry has asked me to tell you that Ron wants you to meet him by the lake in about 10 minutes. Oh ... and he says, ‘nothing to worry about.’ but I think Ron wants to have a heart-to-heart with you. He looked rather serious to me.”



“Oh, alright. I‘ll just freshen up, and then go meet him.”



“Okay, bye. See you later.”



As she changed, Hermione wondered what this might be about.



~*~



“Ron?”



No response.



“Ron?”



Ron turned back at her voice, and shook his head, as if trying to clear his mind.



“Oh…er… Hi Hermione! How long have you been here? Sorry, I didn’t notice you sooner. I was just really deep in thought.”



“Well, that’s something. What were you thinking about?”



“Why don’t you sit here with me? Doesn’t the lake look beautiful tonight? I can’t believe that this is the last time I will ever be sitting here like this, at this lake.”



“Yes, I understand, Ron. But why aren’t you telling me what it is you wanted to talk about?”



“Hey! Does it have to be a serious topic? Can’t a person just share a heart-to-heart with their best friend?”



“Well, yes, but-”



“Hey, I have some news for you!”



“What is it?”



“Harry and I received a letter offering us free Auror training, a few hours back. We talked it over with each other and McGonagall, and we’ve decided to accept the offer. I’m sorry we didn’t tell you right away. We thought you were sleeping.”



“Oh, that’s all right. Oh Ron, I am so happy for you and Harry. But Harry- are you sure Harry wants to do that after all he’s been through?”



“Strangely enough, yeah. I asked him the same thing, and he said that he was sure he wanted to do it. I was surprised, but then I thought; now Harry is free man and he can decide what he wants to do himself. If this is what he wants, so be it. What happened with you?”



“Oh, actually, I got the same letter that you and Harry got, but…I don’t think I want to do this, Ron.”



Ron looked surprised, very surprised. “Why not, Hermione?”





“Because I am tired. Tired of war. Tired of unpleasant deadly spells. Tired of seeing death everywhere. Tired of that fear. Just tired, Ron. I just want to have a pleasant job and a simple life now.”



“Well, I see your point. Yeah, you’ve seen enough bad things to last you a lifetime and…just look at the toll that war has taken on you. For once, I agree with you on this. You need your share of happiness now.”



Hermione smiled and said, “And besides, if anything goes wrong, I’m sure I can count on you two to help me. Who would mess with a girl who has two mighty Aurors on her side, right?”



“You’re right there! But, jokes apart, Hermione…that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”



There was a moment of silence which, Hermione assumed Ron was using to gather his thoughts, because after that, he continued, “You see, I’m going away for five years of training, and Merlin only knows how long will I be out there after that, how long will I live-”



All this while, Hermione had focused her attention on the grass through which she was running her hand. But, at the last sentence, she looked up at him and said, “Why Ron, what makes you think that? Anytime you come back, you will find me waiting for you and Harry to come and tell me about your adventures and missions-”



At this, Ron stood up, looking restless, as if to prepare himself to say his next words. Hermione stood up too, to listen to what he was to say, but mostly wondering where exactly he was going with this.



“Okay, here it is. Let me first tell you that, you are special because you are my best friend.”



“Well, not just that. I hope you remember that we did go out for a while, before the war broke out. That was a very special time in my life.”



“Mine too.”



“And might I add that, back then I thought, and I still think, that I could live with the memory of those days in my mind forever,” Hermione was surprised to hear these words spill out of her own mouth, and she was slightly unnerved at the fact that her mouth did not bother to consult with her brain before letting those words out. Not only that, she was surprised to feel that the words were true.



Ron, too, blushed slightly and smiled at the words that had come from Hermione. But, as the meaning of what she said sunk in him, his smile dropped from his face. He said, “See, that’s exactly what I mean. I don’t want you just clinging to a memory for five or more years, wasting your life, and then finally, finding out that I’m dead or cannot come back for some other unavoidable reason. You need to move on, Hermione.”



Turning back and looking intently at Hermione, he continued. “Please, Hermione. Don’t misunderstand me. I don’t want to hurt you, that’s why I’m telling you this. Please don’t wait for me. You said it yourself that you were tired of war. Well…waiting for me is a war of sorts and I don’t want you to go through that. But, I also don’t want you to think that this ends any friendship between us. I want you to know that you are a very, very special person and you will always hold a special place in my heart. I want you to know that I want to have that invisible bond of friendship to keep my spirits up when I get depressed, and I want it to prevent me from taking a wrong path that I may take because of…well, you know me.”



By this time, Ron’s eyes were shining with tears and he refused to close them for the fear that they may slide down his cheeks and betray his true emotions. Finally, he looked away and wiped his tears with the back of his hand before they could fall down. He then went back to sitting on the grass.



Hermione was numb with shock. Somehow, she wanted to scream out loud that this wasn’t right. At that moment, she was facing a fierce battle between her heart and her brain. While her heart wanted her to rage at Ron for making all their decisions without asking her, her brain made her think of it practically. She decided that she should let him go, so that he could concentrate on his career, without worrying or feeling guilty about her. If they were meant to be, then it will surely happen some or the other day in future. Taking a deep breath, she made the second important decision of her life-and that day.



Ron was so busy staring at the grass in front of him that he seemed to have forgotten that he wasn’t alone. Hermione placed a hand on his shoulder and sat next to him. Wiping her own tears, she said, “Ron, I understand that you’re having a tough time telling this to me. Well, don’t worry about me in this matter. I promise that, no matter what happens, I’ll always be your friend and support you in whatever you do. Of course, we have Harry with us too. As it is you have proven that how ever thick-headed and dense you two may be, when you make a decision, most of the time, it has been right. As long as you have Harry, and Harry has you, and both of you have my voice constantly ringing in your ears, even if I am not within earshot, you wouldn’t dare go wrong. Am I right?”



Ron’s shoulders sagged with relief, and he said with a smile, “Yeah, you’re right. Thanks, Hermione. You couldn’t possibly imagine how relieved I am. I was really worried about what you’d say. But you’ll write to us, won’t you?”



“Of course, I will!” said Hermione, putting on a smile, when she was really thinking, You really have no idea, what I could’ve really said.



Ron started to get up when she spoke again, “Ron, you must also know that this doesn’t mean that I’ll forget everything. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can replace that.”



Ron stood up and held out his hand to help her up, saying, “I know and I agree. So, from now on, the memories are all yours. Do what you want with them. Now, Miss Granger, if you please, let’s go and have some dinner. All this emotional turmoil has made me exceptionally hungry.”



Hermione rolled her eyes, smiled, and said, “Of course, I just thought that something is amiss here. I should’ve known that it’d be your hunger…as usual. So, Mr. Weasley, let’s go.” But you don’t realize Ron, how much I am hurt by this decision of yours.



Both of them walked towards the castle, in a comfortable silence of two friends. There was no need for words spoken out loud. Late at night, Hermione’s heart was still hurting, as she thought back to their conversation. It echoed loud in her brain.



“We must break up, Hermione!”



“No, Ron!”



“We need to move on!”



“No!”



“I’m leaving you.”



“NO!!”




Hermione was jerked awake from her sleep. It had been a long time since it happened, but it still pricked at the back of her mind. The memory of the painful incident had not appeared as a dream for such a long time. Why would it haunt her dreams now? She could pondered on it for some more time, but the whistle of the kettle distracted her and the thought didn’t return to her, as she carried on with her work.



~*~



A/N: So what do you think? Please Read and Review!!!!!!!!



Thanks to my betas Kate Mari and CRJ Lupin. They are the best.







Going Home by FreeWinky
Chapter 1: Going Home

After Eight years:

The Auror Headquarters had a special section, the Correspondences Section, where Aurors who were on long missions could collect all the post they had received during their absence. This arrangement was to maintain the secrecy of where the concerned Aurors were stationed, so that the enemies could not use their personal information to cause damage.

As Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter, the top-notch Aurors, returned from their highly exhausting mission of capturing this new trend of Dark Wizards, who had taken to using Muggle technology, along with magic, to cause trouble. So, it had been very difficult for them to collect both the magical and the non-magical evidence to trap them with and take them to trial.

After reporting to their Department Head, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and submitting their reports, evidence, and etc, Ron and Harry went to see if they had received any messages at the Correspondences section. Ron and Harry had both received invitations for a special function at The Burrow. In addition to that, Harry had some of his own messages. Wondering what the invitations might be about, Ron and Harry both sat at their cubicles going through their mail.

The invitation read:

Arthur and Molly Weasley are proud to invite you to the wedding of their only daughter

Ginevra Molly Weasley


“WHAT!” Ron screamed aloud.

“Ron, mate, are you happy or shocked or angry or…”, Harry was alarmed by the sudden outburst.

“Of course I’m shocked, but, yeah, I’m happy...But, after all, it is little Ginny.”

“You do know that if Ginny hears the last two words of that sentence, she’ll kill you.”

“Yeah, yeah, I realize that. But she is, after all the youngest, and if I say so, you can just imagine how Bill and Charlie must be feeling. Merlin, Ginny’s wedding!”

Suddenly there was a ‘pop’ from the fireplace, and Shacklebolt’s head appeared, saying, “Harry, I need to see you right now. It is something quite important.”

“Oh, Okay. Ron, I’ll see you in a while.”

“Okay Harry”

Harry left, not realizing that the invitation was still in his hand. Meanwhile, Ron went back to reading his invitation, starting where he had left off.

Ginevra Molly Weasley

With

Mark Raymond

On 1st August 2006

You are cordially invited to attend.


Ron noticed that there was also a letter written on the back of the invitation. It was a message from Ginny.

Dear Ron,

I don’t know when this letter is going to reach your eyes. I hope you receive it before my wedding. I know you must be very surprised to learn this. Mark is a very nice man. I’m sure you will like him when you get to know him.

See, that’s why I have written this letter. I want you to come at least one month before the wedding, so that you will be able to rest a little, and meet everybody, especially Mum, before she plunges you along with her and the rest in the wedding frenzy. I, too, want to spend some time with you.

Bring Harry too. Mum’s been asking for him as well. I am sure he too could use some relaxation.

One more thing, You Better Come Home Soon, or…you know the consequences of a Weasley temper.

Love, Ginny

P.S. I have been practicing my Bat-Bogey Hex.


Ron closed the letter and sat thinking about his home and his family. It had been so long since he had last seen them. Three years wasn’t exactly a short time. The last time he and Harry had been home was right after they had completed their training as Aurors. His thoughts drifted to his Mum’s cooking. Anything cooked by her was so delicious and-

“Hey Ron! Did you read the invitation?”

“Harry, why is it that whenever I think of food, something has to interrupt my train of thought,” Ron said with mock irritation on his face. ”Anyway, I did read it. I got a letter from Ginny too. She says that we have to go home one month before the wedding, so that we can relax and meet everybody before getting caught in the wedding wave.”

“Oh! That’s a good idea. But-”

“Yeah, but what about the work here. Will Shacklebolt allow us to go?”

“Nah, that’s not a problem. I already asked him for permission, and he says we can go. We really deserve a vacation.”

“Wicked! Thanks Harry, you’re a real friend.”

“Thanks Ron. But I can’t come with you just now. I have some other work to do first.”

“Ohhh! Does the work include someone with short black hair and dark eyes named Hillary?”

Harry felt a blush creeping up his face as he said, “Yeah, it does. It’s been a long time since I met up with her, and with all the understanding she has shown, I think she deserves some undivided attention for once. After all, I can’t take-”

“Undue advantage of the compromises made by her. I know, I know. I’ve heard it only a thousand times. Yeah, you go there. Tell her hello from me.”

Hillary Crystal had been Harry’s girlfriend for two years. She had helped Harry and Ron in many cases, as she worked in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Department and they often required such information to track Dark Wizards. She was a very cheerful girl with a rather witty sense of humour. She also had a very level head on her shoulders, and knew very well how to manage with Harry’s unexpected bouts of silence and temper.

“Sure. I promise I’ll be there at least one day before the wedding.”

“OK. Why don’t you bring Hillary with you too? I’m sure she’d love to come.”

“Really! That’d be great. I’ll ask her and let you know what she says. I think we better leave now before they change their minds and send us on another mission.”

“Yeah. Let’s get out of here.”

Before they had time to even get excited about getting a break, they were packed and ready to leave.

“See you soon, Harry.”

“Yeah, See you. Have fun. Tell everyone hello, and give Ginny my congratulations.”

Ron Apparated to the front of his home, right in the middle of the gnome-filled garden. He thought to himself, Gosh, I must have missed this house too much to even miss these gnomes here. Whoa, that is the limit of homesickness!

He barged into the house, and shouted, ”ANYBODY HERE? I’M HOME!”
Meet the Family by FreeWinky
Chapter 2: Meet The Family


Ron barged into the house and shouted,”ANYBODY THERE! I’M HOME!”

Within a second, he was enveloped in a large warm hug, which with 26 years of experience, he recognized as his mother's.

"Oh Ron! I never thought you would come home so soon. Did you get the invitation?", Mrs.Weasley said.

"Yes Mum. I got Ginny's letter too. I had just come from-"

"RON! Merlin, I don't believe it. You are already home. Had I known that you will come home, as soon as you heard of my wedding, I would have got married long back."

"Shut it, Ginny, and give your brother a nice hug worth three years."

As Ginny hugged Ron, he couldn't help muttering to her, “My little Ginny, getting married already! Seems like just yesterday she had first boarded the Hogwarts Express."

"Oh please don't remind me of that...and just what do you mean by 'Little Ginny'?"

"Mum! Save me!” Ron shouted in mock fright.” Ginny is going to kill me. You know Harry did warn me that you'll kill me if I called you 'Little Ginny'."

"Speaking of Harry, where IS he? I thought I told you to bring him with you."

"Well, before you barged in-" Ron winced from the punch he had just received from Ginny and continued, "I was just telling Mum that, when I got your letter and invitation, Harry and I had just returned from a mission. Don't worry Mum, we're fine. The mission was a success. I'll tell you about it later. Back to my story, we were going through the last minute reports of it and so, Harry convinced Shacklebolt into granting us a vacation-"

"You deserve it," Mrs.Weasley and Ginny said at once.

"Thanks. But really the point here is, Harry said he wanted to spend some part of the vacation with his girlfriend Hillary, and will be there in time for the wedding. Don't worry, Ginny, he promised me. I told him that he could bring Hillary with him to the wedding. So he sends his love to all of you."

"Oh good! At least he will be there for the wedding." Mrs.Weasley, who had been listening to the brother-sister conversation and gazing proudly at Ron, suddenly snapped out of her slight daze and said, “Okay Ron, you can tell the rest of your story to everybody else at once at dinner. I am sure you don't want to repeat it for each and everybody. Now go and freshen up a bit before we eat.”

Ron took all his luggage up to his room and went to have a shower. As he was drying his hair, he could hear all the chaotic chatter that had started around the dining table. Not wanting to miss out on the conversation (nor his Mum’s great cooking, that he could smell from the bathroom), he finished drying off, and headed downstairs to meet everybody. The moment he made his appearance, all the chaos in the kitchen died down and he could feel everybody’s shocked eyes focused on him; you could have heard a pin drop.

“What?! Do I have Moody’s eyes on my face?”

Everybody gave a loud laugh at this and rushed to meet him.

“Ron! So nice to see you after so many years. How are you? I heard the last mission was particularly grueling.”

“I’m fine, Dad. How are you? You look tired.”

“Oh that’s old age. It is creeping in slowly. Yes, just old age, nothing else. I’m fine.”

“Hey Ronniekins”-Ron winced at this name (Will they ever stop calling me that?)- “How are you doing?”

“Doing fine. How is your joke shop going on? Anything new? Are Angelina and Alicia here too?”

“Yes Ron. We’re right here.” Ron whirled around to greet his two very pregnant sisters-in-law with a hug. He muttered to each of them, “Congratulations.”

“What? No hugs for us? Not fair, Ronnie. We are, after all, your brothers.”

“Shut up, you two. I think it is high time you two started behaving yourselves. You are going to be fathers in a few months.”

“No use telling them, Ron,” Angelina said. “Believe me.”

“Angelina’s right,” said Alicia. “I think we are going to be very tired when this baby comes, because we’ll each be looking after two babies instead of one.”

Just then, Ron felt a small push near his legs and almost lost his balance. Before he could see what had pushed him, he heard Ginny shout, “Phil! Prissy! Get back here right now! You kids finish your dinner first and then you can run around as much as you like.”

Looking behind him, he saw two small children hiding behind his legs, mostly trying to escape Ginny’s wrath. They were giving him a look that plainly said, ‘Please don’t tell her we’re here.’ But, before he could do anything, Ginny caught them saying, “Aha! Hiding behind Uncle Ron, I see! Come out, you two. You are busted!”

Ron was already gaping at the kids when he heard Ginny refer to himself as ‘Uncle Ron’. Who are these kids?

As if reading his mind, Ginny said to the children, “Kids! Meet your youngest, Uncle Ron.” Turning to Ron she said, “And Ron, these are Percy and Penny’s kids, Philip and Priscilla. You know, they may be intelligent like their dad, but in pranks, they are competition to even Fred and George.”

Still looking at Phil and Prissy with adoration replacing shock, Ron asked, “Where are Percy and Penny?”

Mrs. Weasley replied first, “Oh, they had some important work in the Ministry, so they couldn’t make it home for dinner. They’ll be back tomorrow in time for breakfast. You can meet them then. Now, everybody sit down and we can start our dinner.”

Dinner went on as peacefully as one could hope with Fred and George and their new ‘trainees’, Phil and Prissy. Ron had to agree with Ginny that they were smart like their father, but as far as looks were concerned, they were more like Penny. Although, Ron did not remember her face clearly, he could tell that nothing in their appearances came from Percy, except for their Weasley red hair.

After dinner, Ron retired to his old room, with all the latest family news flashing in his head. Lying on his back, he stared at the ceiling and the walls, the same walls that were still covered with the Chudley Cannons posters that he had pinned up when he was younger. He was glad that nobody had disturbed his room in his absence. Sure, he had grown up and was a responsible adult and all, but he had not lost that childlike obsession he had towards the Quidditch team which, he knew, had never one won a single match and had a very slim chance of winning any in the future, unless there was miracle.

He heard a knock at his door.

“Come in.”

It was Mrs. Weasley.

“Mum?”

“Oh good, Ron, I was afraid you were asleep. I was wondering if I could talk to you.”

“Sure Mum! You don’t have to ask my permission for that. You are my mum after all. Come on in,” Ron said patting the place next to his pillow.

As Mrs. Weasley sat down at the place indicated, Ron gently laid his head on her lap. Mrs. Weasley was surprised at this gesture. None of her sons, well maybe Bill, had ever expressed their feelings this way.

Out of habit, she started stroking his hair and said, “Ron, How is your Auror job going on? I hope you and Harry are not doing any foolish acts of going in search of danger.”

Ron took her free hand in his and looked up at her, saying, “Oh c'mon Mum, you know we are not eleven anymore. And besides that is what we are trained for- no, not to do foolish dangerous mischief- to face danger cleverly, when time comes. And believe me, Mum, whatever we did in school has earned us, Harry and I, a reputation as invincible. Do you know Mum that Harry and I are one of the best in our batch of Aurors?”

“I know, Ron, and I am proud of you and Harry. But don’t let that ‘invincible’ thing get in your head and make you overconfident. Promise me, Ron that both of you will be careful.”

Ron gave her a very affectionate look and said, “Oh alright Mum, I promise, on behalf of Harry too, that we will be careful.”

Mrs.Weasley watched as Ron played with the fingers of her hand he had in his, and moved to the next thought in her mind as she said, “Ron, I have been watching you from ever since you arrived. It seems like you have changed a lot. No temper, no hot-headedness. How did that happen?”

“Just by returning home, I guess.”

Ron looked up and noticed a confused look on his mother’s face. So he elaborated, “You see, Mum, when you are off on some mission in some godforsaken place, from where you have no idea if you’ll get out in one piece…or see your loved ones, you just tend to value every moment you get to spend with your family. So, here I am, appreciating all the love I get from this family, and showing how much love I have for it, how much ever we may usually disagree with each other.”

Mrs. Weasley was stunned at the sense of maturity her youngest son had developed over these years. She could see, in his eyes, the maturity of a 26-year-old Auror who has faced dangers since the tender age of eleven, but they had not lost the twinkle that they carried ever since he was born. The twinkle, which always made him look young, irrespective of his age.

“Speaking of families, Ron, don’t you think it is time that you had one?” Mrs.Weasley asked, smiling.

“No Mum, I don’t think I want to go into that yet.”

“Why ever not?”

“Mum, I am at the peak of my career and I don’t know what the future has in store for me. Mum, you know the dangers Harry and I have to face in our job. What if something happened to me? What will happen to my wife? She’d just be left alone. That'd be very unfair to her.”

“I know Ron, and I agree about the risks in your job, but what about all you said about family, don’t you want someone to come back home to? Someone for whom you will fight or do anything, just so that you can see her one more time? Someone who will remind you that you can’t be careless with your life anymore as you share it with another person now? Someone whose memory will give you strength to fight the evils?”

“Sure Mum, but I don’t want to start thinking about it now.”

“Then I suggest you should start now. Ron dear, you are the only one who isn’t settled yet. Soon Ginny will get married and only you will be left. I know these aren’t the dark times they once were, when we couldn’t be sure if we could find ourselves or our loved ones alive, even a minute from now. Thanks to you, Harry and Hermione, those times are gone. But we are growing old and I don’t know what-"

Mrs. Weasley stopped talking when she heard soft snoring. She looked down, amused and quite touched at the same moment, to see that Ron had already fallen asleep with one of her hands tightly grasped in both his hands, and a small smile playing on his lips.

At that moment, to her, he did not look like one of the best Ministry Aurors, Ronald Weasley, but like her little baby, her youngest son, Ronnie.

She gently shifted his head from her lap and placed it softly on his pillow. Moving aside, she carefully pried her hand from his grip. After tucking him, and stopping to gaze lovingly back at him for a moment, she left the room, closing the door with a soft click.
-----------------------------------------------------

A/N: I am sorry if this chapter has been boring. It took me lot of effort to even start writing this chapter. I just wanted to get you and Ron updated with whatever has happened in his family while he was doing his Auror duties. The main story will start with the next chapter. Also, I know you guys must be wondering, if this is a RHr story, then where in the world is Hermione? She too will come in the next chapter(s). I want to keep her personal life as secret as possible as that is a part of the plot climax.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that that Philip and Priscilla are 3 years old.

I want to thank my betas Kate Mari and CRJ Lupin for helping me when I need them.
The Unexpected Task by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
A/N: I know I was supposed to introduce Hermione in this chapter (Not that Miss Granger needs an intro). I am sorry. I’ll make compensation. Instead of making her introduction, halfway through this chapter, I’ll dedicate the whole next chapter to her. I know it is a little unfair that Ron gets 3 whole ‘intro’ chapters to himself, and Hermione gets only one. But believe me, the shock which Ron has got now is his first, but certainly not his last. Brace yourself guys and gals!
A/N2: Additional disclaimer that the title of the chapter is borrowed from GoF, the brilliant JKR's creation.
Chapter 3:The Unexpected Task




Next morning, Ron woke to the first rays of the morning rays streaming into his eyes. As he got dressed for breakfast, he remembered the conversation he had with his mother the night before. He remembered vaguely that the last word he had heard before drifting off was ‘Hermione’.

I wonder where she ever got to? What has she been doing all these years? Why didn’t she keep in touch with Harry and me like she promised?

These thoughts clouded his mind, and his consciousness, and he didn’t realise he was already in the kitchen, until his mother offered him some bacon. Molly Weasley was busy preparing breakfast, while Arthur sat at the head of the table reading the Daily Prophet. Ron had heard that his former classmate Neville Longbottom now ran the newspaper. With the absence of people like Rita Skeeter, the paper had finally gained a respectable status.

“Good Morning, Mum, Dad.”

“Good Morning, Ron. You’re up early. Had a good sleep?” replied Mrs.Weasley.

“Oh yeah, great. I just haven’t lost my stupid habit of waking early yet…... I’ve had to be up with the dawn since the first day of Auror training, and I expect it will take a while to grow out of it.”

Mrs. Weasley chuckled, “Well, it’s a good thing that you’re up early, isn’t it? I’ve written up a nice long list of chores for you to do today, like-”

Oh no, Not de-gnoming of the garden, please!

“Not so fast, Molly. I want Ron to come to my office today. I have a job for him, small but important. Once he is done with that, he can come home and you can use him for as much manual labour as you like. Alright, my dear?” Mr. Weasley asked his wife, with a very meaningful look in his eyes.

A look whose meaning escaped Ron.

But, Mrs.Weasley seemed to understand what her husband meant. Catching on, she said, “Okay, Arthur. But I want him back as soon as possible. I need as much help as I can get, what with Ginny’s wedding coming up.”

“I understand dear. I’ll send him back as soon as I can.” Looking at Ron, he said, “Be at my office at 10 o’clock sharp, okay?”

“Okay, Dad.”

Thank, Merlin. At least, I won’t have to do any de-gnoming on the first morning of my vacation.

****************************

At 9.30, Ron left the Burrow and headed to his father’s office, after promising Ginny that he would definitely be back in time to meet her fiancé…just as soon as he got back from finding out about the “mysterious job” that his father was going to assign to him.

At the reception desk of the Ministry of Magic, he asked, “Could you please tell me which floor I can find Arthur Weasley? I’m his son, Ron Weasley.”

“Of course, you are. I can tell from your hair,” said the witch at the desk, smiling. “You will find him in Muggle-Wizard Relations Office. That’s on Level Two, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.”

“Thank you.”

Ron was happy to find that he hadn’t been asked to leave his wand at the desk, likely due to his privileges as an Auror. He took his time to reach Level Two, watching all the strange people who were proneto frequent the Ministry, although being there, and seeing these people wasn’t that new to him. He had been there many times in his childhood, and it was nearly always amusing. After all, Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office was a pretty amusing place to be.

As he was walking down the long corridors, caught up in the sights and sounds, he didn’t even notice the blur caused as a small witch (although, if his height were to be considered, anybody could be small) rushed right into him. In spite of his being a fully trained, and a very alert Auror, he could do nothing to stop himself from banging into her.

But, before he could tell if she was hurt, or even see who she was, she had hurried off after mumbling an apology.

“I’m sorry,” Ron called after the vanishing figure.

A bit shaken by the incident, he looked around to take his bearings, and found that he was outside his father’s office. He knocked on the door. Mr.Weasley’s voice beckoned him in.

“Hello, Ron, Welcome to my office. Oh…and don’t mind the mess.”

And what a mess it was. Loads of common Muggle stuff strewn everywhere, not as a part of his job (which no longer required him to deal with Magically Malfunctioning Muggle Matters), but as a part of Mr. Weasley’s famous obsession with Muggle objects. Ron adored his father for that very obsession.

“That’s okay, Dad.”

“You know, I’m quite proud of you, Ron. I know I must’ve told you that a thousand times by now, but I mean it. I hear that you had to learn to live in the Muggle world without arousing any suspicion. You seem to have been successful…unless that Ripley group has some sort of secret mickey-fony attached to you. But if you find one, let me have it. Anyway, being so successful means that you must know quite a lot about Muggles by now.”

“Yeah, I do,” said Ron. “But it helped a lot to have Harry with me. He knows way more about’em than I do.”

“Oh, of course, yes. The Dursleys and all. You know, as much as I know about eclectricity, I really don’t know much about how the Muggles actually live”I wish I did though. All that you’ve learnt will really help along the Muggle-Magic relations that the Ministry has been trying to build ever since Voldemort’s downfall.”

Not to mention your craze for Muggles.

Mr. Weasley snapped out of his dreamy daze, “Then again, that will be a job for some other day, some other time. For now, let’s stick to the task currently at hand.”

“What’s that?”

“Your mother told me about the conversation she had with you last night, you know, about, settling down and all.”

“Uh-oh.”

“Oh, come on. It’s not that bad. Anyway, I thought I’d just ease the situation for you a bit. Alright, you have to see the ‘prospective bride’, but…what if you don’t like her?”

“Huh? What do you -” Then as realization hit him, Ron looked up at his father and was met with a mischevious grin.“You’re just great.”

“Don’t thank me. Thank our ancestors. This is one of the traditional Weasley father-son conversation that take place when the lady of the house loses faith in the charm of a Weasley bloke, and so forces him into blind dates and the sort. And mind you, you aren’t the first one to get advice.”

“You mean Charlie and-”

“Yes, yes, all of them had to face the music eventually, and I gave them the cotton balls. But, Ron-”

Damn, I knew there was a catch.

The thought must have shown on his face, because Mr Weasley looked at him intently and continued, “You must promise me, that you will not misuse this right. I mean, you will not reject the girl just because you can. You will end it, if and only if you feel it will genuinely not work. You promise?”

“Yes, I promise, Dad.”

“So, let’s get back to business. First thing, you will not go alone on any of the blind dates.”

“What?! Are you telling that a mature 26-year-old guy like me needs a chaperone?”

“No. I am telling you that a bloke like you needs someone, more like, a ‘mediator’. And…” Mr. Weasley’s expression brightened as he continued, “I know the perfect person to carry out that job.”

“Who, Ginny? Oh no, not Ginny. I don’t need my kid sister to be my…mediator. Besides, she’s too busy with her wedding preparations.”

“Of course, I know that. I’m not talking about Ginny. I am talking about-“

There was a knock at the door.

“Oh good, come in. You’re just in time.”

All this while, Ron’s back was towards the door as he spoke to his father. So, when Mr.Weasley acknowledged the third person entering the room, he turned around to see who it was. He saw a witch with brown, bushy hair, reading glasses balanced on the bridge of her nose, approaching his father’s desk. As she came closer, he started feeling an air of familiarity about her. He knew who she was; he just couldn’t place a finger on it. He was too busy pondering over this mystery to participate in or, even acknowledge, the conversation taking place between his father and this witch. He didn’t even realise that he was actually staring at her - studying her- as she approached the desk. So, when she turned to look at him, he got the shock of his life as he suddenly recognised her.

It was Hermione.

A Day in the Life of Hermione Granger by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
Well, it's high time we turned the spotlight on Hermione. Hermione has been quite content with her life. But that was only till now. Nothing could ever prepare her for the shock she was going to receive today.
Chapter 4: A Day In The Life Of Hermione Granger


Twenty-six year old Hermione Granger woke up early in the morning to start her working day with preparing a breakfast while reading “more like scanning“ the newspaper. The newspaper wasn’t interesting or intriguing anymore, ever since the downfall and destruction of Voldemort. On the other hand, she was thankful to the gods above for the fact that it was only mundane news about discount sales that newsapaer carried and not news of Muggle-killings happening all over the world. Still, reading the Daily Prophet was a habit she had developed since her fourth year when she had first subscribed to it, and habits that old die hard, very hard. She had tried to rid herself of this urge to read the newspaper because it reminded her of the terrror that she and her family, and Harry and Ron had had to deal with. It wasn’t that the rest of the wizarding world was unaffected. But, Harry was the eye of the storm and, and she and Ron, being his friends, had suffered the worst blows.

Memories like these caused her to abandon the newspaper and also gave her a feeling of guilt to have not kept in touch with her best friends as she had promised them. Sometimes, in an act of frustration, she would throw the newspaper in the dustbin, and use her office paperwork to distract herself. But, that again was not an easy job because, as in her school days, her work was always up-to-date and in its best form, irrespective of the involved stress or approaching deadline. Occasionally, she caught herself just blankly staring down at her work uninterestedly. Then again, that was because, no matter how much she enjoyed her job, there were times when the work got boring enough to drive her mad. She had begun using a laptop to store all her work reports. Her lifestyle was an odd mix of Wizard and Muggle and she was perfectly content with it.

Hermione worked in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Muggle-Wizard Relations Office. After her final year and the Final War, she had gotten sick and tired of all the violence she faced. According to her, she had faced enough. So, she accepted this job with a lot of enthusiasm since she was Muggleborn and she completely agreed with the idea put forward by the new Minister of Magic, Drew Conroy, that it was very necessary to understand the muggles so that in future, another Voldemort could be avoided. The world was still in too much disarray to face another psychopathic homicidal maniac, Wizard or Muggle.

The best part of her job was that she worked under one of her favorite people, Arthur Weasley. She really enjoyed working with him and that put no stress on her job.

Over the years, Hermione had become very close to the Weasleys. So much that Fred and George considered her a sister like Ginny and they took their liberty to tease her to their hearts’ content;she was also beginning to get used to it. Something else that made her happy nowadays was Ginny’s upcoming wedding, and she had assured Mrs.Weasley that all the responsibilty of Ginny’s personal grooming, such as her wedding trousseau, shopping etc. was now hers. Mrs. Weasley trusted Hermione completely, and was glad to let her take that responsibilty, so that she could concentrate on the rest of arrangements.

As Hermione prepared to leave for work, she felt something different about this day. She could not place a finger on any solid reason as to why she felt that the day would turn out differently, but she was sure all the same. As she reveled on the reason for the strangeness of the day, she heard an owl tapping on her living room window. Recognising the owl as the Weasley family’s new owl, Cosmo, she let the owl in and took the message from its claws. After giving it an affectionate stroke and some water to drink, she opened the message:

Dear Hermione,
I have a special assignment for you, beginning today. Please come to my office at 10.30 am. Also, bring all the reports you wanted to submit yesterday. I’ll take them today.
Arthur Weasley.


Wondering what the assignment might be, she wrote a short reply:

Dear Mr.Weasley,
I’ll be there. The reports are ready, except that some last minute touch up is needed. But they will definitely be ready by 10.30.
Hermione.


She sent the message with Cosmo, and set off to work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

As Hermione reached her desk, she took a deep breath before starting her work for the day. She had switched on her laptop and as she waited for it to boot, she closed her eyes and tried to stabilise her breathing and heartbeat; she had practically rushed to work.

Reading through her report, she realised that she could use some more information and figures from her colleague and friend, Katherine “Kathy” Jones. After collecting all her material from Kathy and a little small talk, she realised it was getting late. Late submissions and resultant extra concentration on the subject on hand was not a very pleasant combination, especially for Hermione. It always caused her to land in trouble, as she never paid attention to where she was headed.

So, as usual, she was walking so fast that she didn’t see that she was going to run into a tall man with reddish brown hair who was “strolling” in the corridor. She ran into him and, since she was too busy to check on who she had run into, she mumbled a quick “I’m sorry” and rushed ahead to her desk.

In half an hour or so, when her report was satisfyingly complete with her last minute additions, she took a breath of relief, as her quill automatically printed out her report from her laptop. The magical work on her desk would stop only when the report was completely bound.

After it was all done, she knocked on the door of Mr.Weasley’s office. She entered the office when she heard a very cheerful “Yes, please come in. You are just in time.”

I wonder what the matter could be. It can’t be an emergency, because Mr. Weasley sounds pretty cheerful today.

“Good Morning, Mr.Weasley. My reports are ready.”

“Oh good, so I see. Neat work as usual. Bring it here, Hermione.”

As Hermione approached the desk, she noticed the presence of a third person, who also happened to be the one she had run into, in the hall. She remembered she hadn’t seen his face but she did recognise his hair. As she handed over the report, she felt that the person was closely gazing at, almost studying, her. Feeling slightly at unease over such close scrutiny, she turned around to look at the person.

She was certainly not prepared for the shock she received when the familiarity of the man’s face rushed to her mind.

It was Ron.

A/N: Is this chapter too short? If so, I am sorry. There is not much I could tell about our ‘Mione’s personal life. All I wanted to tell that she is content with the clockwork life she is currently leading. Don’t you think she needs some excitement and something different in her life? Well, So be it, or as they say, from where I come, Tathaastu!(means so be it!)
Surprise!!!! by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
I am back. I realise I have been away for too long but I was caught up in real life.

Ron and Hermione have seen each other now. Will sparks fly? What's Hermione's assignment an how is it related to Ron Weasley?

Now, thanks and a big welcome to my betas CRJ Lupin and Kate Mari.
Chapter 5:Surprise!!!


“Ron?!”

“Hermione?!”

Both of them had exclaimed simultaneously. They were so shocked to see each other, that they could not decide how to greet one another. While Ron had stepped forward to give Hermione a quick hug, Hermione had held out her hand to shake. Somewhat reluctantly, Ron shook her hand and mumbled, “Nice to see you, Hermione.” She nodded in agreement.

“Well, now that we gotten you re-introduced, let’s get down to business,” Mr.Weasley said, breaking the awkward silence that had enveloped the room.

“Oh yes, Mr.Weasley. I forgot. You mentioned a special assignment for me, didn’t you? What is it all about?”

“Patience, Miss Granger, I am getting to it,” Mr.Weasley said, nodding his head towards Ron, “Your assignment is sitting right next to you.”

“WHAT?!”

Again, both Ron and Hermione had screamed out, but this time in disbelief.

“Wait, let me explain. Hermione, you know that Ginny’s wedding is drawing near. Owing to that, Molly is getting hysterical. Besides, I know you have worked your head off over this project. So, I’ve decided that you must take a sabbatical. Oh, but don’t assume that you’re going to have a lot of free time. You have an additional duty; along with shopping for Ginny, you are going to act as a mediator while Ron is on his blind date.”

“But Dad, why would Hermione want to do that?”

“My point exactly. Why-”

“Wait, Ron, Hermione. I am not done yet. Hermione, you will be completely responsible for Ron whenever he is on a blind date. You will be his mediator and you will come and report to me directly about everything that happens. Ron, you know Hermione from school and I know her as my subordinate, won’t you agree with me when I say that Hermione is a very talented, clever and hardworking witch and deserves her due?”

“Yeah Dad, but that’s not the answer to my question?”

“Don’t you think she deserves a promotion, or wait, a double promotion?”

“Yeah sure…”

“Mr. Weasley, you don’t mean….,” Hermione trailed off.

“I think you understand exactly what I mean. Ron, could you step out for a moment? I want to have a word with Hermione in private.”

“Sure Dad, I’ll just be in the lobby,” Ron said and left the room.

As soon as the door was closed, Hermione asked Mr.Weasley, “Sir, if you don’t mind, Mr.Weasley, will you tell me what exactly is this whole blind date business all about?”

“Oh, yes, of course, I forgot that you didn’t know about it.”

Mr.Weasley explained the whole thing about his wife being concerned about Ron’s plans to settle down with a family. Then he looked at Hermione in a fatherly manner and said, “I know you were good for this job because you have been his friend in school and you know him as well as we do. Plus you can give him a woman’s point of view of what happens. I know, in front of Ron, it sounded like a bribe. But it is not. The idea of the double promotion for you has been floating in my mind for a long time, and I firmly believe that there is nobody more deserving of it than you are.”

Hermione was surprised with everything Mr.Weasley had just told her. She took a moment to take in all the information and then said, “Thank you, Mr. Weasley. But I don’t think I need a sabbatical. I am fine with the work.”

“Oh yes, you do. I have noticed that you deserve a break. Lighten up a little. Apart from being my employee, you are also a member of my family. So participate in the wedding preparation as you promised Molly. And while you are at it, please do this mediator thing for Ron, as a favor for Molly and me.”

“As a favor to you and Mrs. Weasley, I will do it.”

“Thank you, Hermione. And one more thing, you will report to me directly about everything. What Ron thinks about the girl, and vice versa. I don’t care whether the girl is Muggleborn or Muggle or Witch. The only condition is, she should like Ron and Ron should like her.”

“Okay, I understand.”

“So, from this moment onwards, you are on a sabbatical and your assignment begins.”

“Yes sir!” Hermione gave a mock salute and left the room to find Ron sitting in the lobby in deep thought.

Seeing Hermione after such a long time had brought many things back to Ron’s mind. He had just been wondering why his parents never told him that Hermione worked under his father when he heard his father’s office door. He stood up quickly, and turned to see Hermione looking at him.

“Hello, Ron.”

“Hi, Hermione..er…How about a coffee?”

“Yeah, sure. There is a new coffee shop in Diagon Alley. Shall we go there?”

~*~

As Ron and Hermione sat at their table in the coffee shop, they looked at each other to notice the changes that had taken place in them over the passage of time.

Hermione had noticed, all the while, that Ron was no longer awkward around Muggle technology as he was when they were at Hogwarts. She came out of her reverie when she heard Ron asking her something.

“Hermione, how are you doing? What have you been upto?”

“I am fine, Ron. After you and Harry left for Auror training, I was hired in your father’s department. It helped a lot being a Muggle-born and knowing both Wizard and Muggle lifestyle. You tell me, what have you been upto?”

“You know, training was tough but fun, at least for Harry and me. Maybe, getting into trouble right from the first year made us a little tough for all this tough training. And then our internship……Bottomline, it was risky but fun.”

“How is Harry?”

“You’ll see. Harry has really changed, you know Hermione. Now that he can live his life as he likes, he has lightened up. Sometimes, he has those sad moments, what after losing his parents, and Sirius. I think losing Sirius had a greater effect on him, because he was just beginning to crave for some fatherly love, ever since he knew Sirius was his godfather, and after that incident in Department of Mysteries, his world just came crashing down…”

“Ron, please let us not talk about that.”

“Oh, I am sorry.”

“It’s just that I’ve taken a lot of effort to come in terms with my life and-“

“I understand, Hermione.” Ron glanced down the table, searching for something to lighten up the conversation. “So tell me, “ he looked back up at Hermione. “When did you get reading glasses?”

“Oh that, I’ve had them for at least five years.”

“I thought that you were going to have them during the school days, considering the amount of homework, research and studies you used to do. Five years back is a bit too late, don’t you think?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Just kidding.” He blushed a little. “So what do you suggest we do about your new ‘special assigment’?”

“I’ll see about that. I have some plans in my mind.”

“Already? Nice to see you again, Hermione,” Ron teased. “Anyway, since Dad has given you the whole responsibility of person, date and place, why don’t you call me on my cell?”

“Cell! You have a cell? When did you learn to use Muggle technology?”

Ron smiled at the surprise on Hermione’s face and said, “Actually, Harry and I needed to use it for a mission when we were undercover. After the whole thing was over, we found it very useful, so we decided to own one each. Harry has one too. And the speciality of our cell is that it works in a magical environment too, thanks to Auror Workshop.”

“That’s neat. Give me your number and I’ll call you soon.”

“Fine with me. See you soon.”

Ron and Hermione parted ways after exchanging phone numbers, and a brief friendly hug.

~*~
Let the Dating Game Begin and....End! by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
The first song “ from the movie “Kuchh Na Kaho”, sung by Shankar Mahadevan and Sujata Bhattacharya, written by Javed Akhtar.
The second song “ from the movie “Yaarana (1981)”, sung by Kishore Kumar and written by Anjaan.
The words in the brackets do not give the exact meaning, word by word, but the meaning of the song as a whole.

A Big Big Thanks to my betas, Kate and CRJ Lupin.
Chapter 6: Let the Dating Game Begin….and End!


Ron opened his eyes and shut them immediately as the sun was shining directly into his eyes. Once again, he tried opening his eyes slowly to find himself on a very grassy landscape. When the hell did I land up here, he thought. However, it was beautiful, wherever it was. He stood and looked about. There were no traces of any grey, and he could feel the cool silkiness of grass under his feet. As he explored the place, he saw what appeared to be a lone figure standing…perilously close to the edge of the cliff? Ron panicked. Oh no, he thought assuming the worst, I’ve got to stop that person. Thinking so, he ran to the person. The person was actually a woman. Not only that, she was gazing into infinity, and from all the observation skills Ron had picked up in his Auror training, he could deduce that she didn’t intend to jump from the cliff at all. She was just too deep in her thoughts to even acknowledge Ron’s presence.

Ron tapped her lightly on the shoulder. She started and whirled around. She had a very familiar air around her, but somehow Ron was unable to place her. Using courage that had sprung up from somewhere, he held her hand and tugged at it as if to beckon her to him. She withdrew her hand, and before he could question her, she pointed to the ground. Confused, he looked down and saw a strange sight.

The woman was standing within a circular area bound by a gold ring. The area, unlike the rest of ground, was covered with a baby blanket. Apparently, she was unable to step outside the boundaries of the baby blanket. Before Ron could ask the woman the meaning of all this, the whole atmosphere around him started echoing with a strange beeping noise.

Ron forgot about the woman and instantly covered his ears. But that didn’t do any good. He could still hear it.


Beep! Beep! Beep!

“WHAT THE HELL!” Ron woke up to find his cellphone beeping away to glory. Groaning, he fumbled for the phone. He found it, after knocking a few things from the bedside table, and answered it.

“Yeah,” he said gruffly, still half-asleep.

“Uh…hello, is that you, Ron?” said a voice nervously.

“Yes, this is Ron speaking.”

“Ron! Hermione here.”

“Hermione, aren’t you supposed to be on a vacation? Then, why in the blazes are you awake so early in the morning? Wait, on second thought, don’t answer that.”


“Very funny, Ron. I just called to tell you that I have fixed up a date for you this evening. Don’t worry, I’ll pick you up. Be ready at five o’clock.”

“Okay, see you then.”

~*~

“Now, what am I supposed to talk about with this girl- what’s her name again?”

“Rose Yardley. Oh, just have a casual chat. Talk about her likes, dislikes etc. Don’t be so nervous. It’s not like you have never been on a date.”

“Yeah, I’ve been on other dates…but I didn’t exactly date a new person. All that while I had dated-” he trailed off. “Anyway, where are we going?”

“Gloria Fleur Memorial Park. Here it is, by the way.”

Hermione parked her car and both of them entered the park.

“Is that Miss Granger?” came a voice from their left.

“Yes, that’s me. You’re Rose Yardley, right? This is Ronald Weasley.”

“Hello, Ronald!” Rose said brightly.

Likes and dislikes, eh? I’ll give you likes and dislikes. Just wait and watch!

With a positively mischevious idea in his head, Ron offered his hand and said, “Call me Ron. It’s nice to meet you, Rose…Hermione, didn’t you mention that you had a call to make?”

Hermione was confused, but when she looked at Ron, she understood. “Oh yes! Please excuse me, Rose. I just remembered that I have a very important call to make.” With that, Hermione left them alone.

~*~
Hermione let out a huff of frustration. She was trying her hardest to find Ron a suitable prospective bride, but nothing was working. The last date had been a total disaster. Ron had scared off Rose Yardley with some nonsense, which had ended by making her shout at Hermione, “Oh Merlin! How could you introduce me to a crazy guy like that? Keeps claiming that I am his wife from his previous life. He’s mental!” Then, after apparently amusing Mr Weasley with her “report”, she now had Ginny laughing away to glory listening to all this.

“Well, I am glad that my frustration is a very lucrative source of entertainment for you now,” Hermione remarked sarcastically.

“No.” Ginny squeaked, gasping for breath after laughing for such a long time. “I am sorry. I just didn’t know that Ron could be so creative with excuses. Reincarnation! Honestly, too good.”

“Ha ha, very funny,” Hermione snapped.

“Okay, let me suggest something. Next time, try taking him to a place he’d actually like. And that means no gardens and parks.”

With that Ginny left for her date with her fiance.

And Hermione had an idea.

~*~

“Ron, I have a surprise for you. I have fixed you a new date.”

“You’re right, I am really surprised…,” Ron said. “Especially after that Rose…” he added, under his breath.

Hermione ignored the comment. “No, that’s not it. The place is the surprise. Be ready at eight in the evening.”

Ron had no chance to retort, as Hermione had hung up.

Fine. Get ready Weasley.

Ron was as much excited about the date as a lamb would be if it were told that it was going to be slaughtered that evening.

Soon, Ron found himself at the entrance of a club, Rockin’ Rhythms, with a different looking Hermione. She was dressed in a little black dress, quite out of character for her (“Just dressed for the occasion”).

“You arranged for a date here? Very nice!”

“Thank you very much. Come with me. I’ll introduce you to your date.”

They reached a table where a girl, who very strongly reminded Ron of Luna Lovegood, was seated.

“Sylvia Forrester?”

“Yes! Hermione Granger?”

“Yes, that’s me. Sylvia, this is Ron Weasley.”

“Oh, Weasley, you said? I have been dying to meet a Weasley. Aren’t you Harry Potter’s best friend!?”

Ron nodded his head. Clearly, he was surprised to know that even after eight years since The War, he was as famous as Harry was. Not that he minded…on the contrary, he was pleased at recognition.

“Yes, I am. Why don’t we sit down, please Sylvia…Hermione?”

Hermione felt that since Ron was beginning to warm up to this date, she could safely leave them alone to get to know each other. Thinking so, she said, “Maybe I should leave“”

She had barely finished her sentence, and had already turned to leave them, when she felt Ron’s viselike grip on her arm. She looked towards him, to find him showing her his ‘puppydog’ eyes, as if saying “Please, oh please, don’t leave me alone with her.”

Hermione nodded and turned back to join them. Sylvia, unaware of the silent conversation between Ron and Hermione, replied to Ron’s offer to sit with, “Thank you. Please call me Syly.”

Syly. Oh great. Silly Syly. Now I know…Syly and Loony. What a pair of long-lost friends.

Ron could swear that he saw a shadow of a smile on Hermione’s face after Sylvia became Syly.

“Oh, and what do they call you when you are sane?” Ron muttered to himself, but still apparently audible enough for Hermione to hear it.

There could have been nothing faster than the change of expression that took place on Hermione’s face, from a slight smile to a death glare directed full force at him.

Uh oh, now I am dead.

Good job, Bigmouth Weasley.


“So Ron, tell me something about yourself. What are your hobbies?” Syly said.

“Oh. My hobbies?” Ron said, with a mock thoughtful expression on his face.

As if deciding on a final answer, he said, “Looking for prospective brides.”

“Sorry?”

“Oh yes, I come here whenever I have time. I look at a few pretty faces and then go back to work. Pretty entertaining, you know.”

Hermione glared at Ron as she understood what he meant and gave an apologetic look to Syly, who was utterly confused at Ron’s seemingly absurd statement, and said, “Oh, he’s just joking, Syly. I’m sure he doesn’t mean it. Do you, Ron?”

Ron winced at the kick he had just received from Hermione under the table. Gasping, he said, “Of-of course not. I was just joking. Seriously.”

Suddenly, Syly stiffened and muttered an “Oh no!”, as she noticed something behind Ron. In addition to all this, to Ron’s horror, and apparently for no reason whatsoever, she started sobbing. “Oh I am sorry, Ron,” she choked out. “But I can’t see you anymore. No, I cannot do this.”

Alarmed as both Ron and Hermione were with this situation, Ron felt relief seep in. Sylvia was a nice girl, but she was not his type.

Well then, who is your type? That woman in your dream?

Well, maybe.


Before Ron could think of anything else, he began rambling, “Oh…thank you Syly! You know what? I too don’t think we should see each other anymore. I don’t think it will-“

“Ron! Stop it! Don’t you see that you’ve made Sylvia upset? How can you carry on like this? Honestly, don’t you have any respect for other people’s feelings? You better keep your mouth shut now. I am going to talk to Sylvia.”

“Sylvia, I’m “” Hermione turned to where Sylvia was sitting, but she was not to be seen. “Sylvia? Um…where are you?”

“I am here. Under the table,” Sylvia replied, sniffing.

Hermione too crouched under the table and started comforting Sylvia, “I’m so sorry Sylvia. I apologise to you. Ron shouldn’t have said those things to you. That was very insensitive of him. Ron, please say something.”

By now, Ron too was crouched under the table, completely aware of what a scene this must be causing, and how many people must be staring.

“Hermione’s right, Sylvia. That was pretty rude thing for me to say. I am truly sorry.”

“Oh, it’s not you, Ron,” said Sylvia. “I just saw my boyfriend - no, ex-boyfriend, Robert - behind you. You see, I really love him a lot, and we had a pretty steady relationship for an year, but two weeks back, we had a fight over something really petty and he ended up saying something like ‘Get lost. I can find loads of girls like you and better than you.’ I got angry and said the same thing back to him. But you know, I really love him a lot and I miss him.”

“Well then, maybe you should talk to him,” Hermione suggested.

“No, he won’t talk to me...I know it. We haven’t spoken to each other since that fight. Besides, I didn’t start the fight,” Sylvia said, sniffing.

“But you did let it get better of you, didn’t you? Look Sylvia, maybe it’s not my place to say anything, but I think that when you love someone, it is okay to swallow some pride to get him back. Maybe he misses you too but doesn’t want to talk to you about it, be it because of shame or pride. If you go on like this, you may lose him. What do you think?” Hermione suggested gently.

“I agree but, I don’t know how to start it,” Sylvia asked, looking longingly at Robert.

“Don’t worry about that. Ron and I will do something. Meanwhile, why don’t you go and freshen up a bit?”

All this while, Ron had been carefully observing and listening to the dialogue between Hermione and Sylvia. No doubt, he was impressed by what Hermione had been advising, but right now, he was carefully observing Hermione’s face.

When did she get so beautiful?

Git, she was always beautiful.

Yeah…I know…I don't think I ever forgot that.



Tumhe aaj maine jo dekha

Chamka hai kismet ka tara

Badlee naseeb ki rekha


(When I see you today
the star of my destiny shines bright
the lines of fate change)


Sitting in a crouched position and lost in thoughts, Ron was jerked back to reality, when he heard his name enter into the conversation. He quickly snapped at himself just in time to face Hermione.

“We are going to do something about this.”

“Something about what?” Ron was lost. Clearly, he had missed out on a lot of information when he was so busy staring at Hermione.

Exasparatedly, Hermione summed up the conversation between her and Sylvia, to Ron in short and then said, “I have an idea.”

Surprise, Surprise! Ron rolled his eyes.

Hermione ignored that and continued, “You try getting close to Sylvia and I will try getting close to her boyfriend “ what did she say his name was? Oh yes, Robert “ we’ll get him to feel jealous about the fact that Sylvia has moved on. Okay?”

Ron did not like the idea much, but after a few protests when Hermione refused to budge from her plan, he gave in.


~*~

“Wow! That was so romantic,” Hermione said, as she and Ron walked out of the club. They were talking about how they had managed to get Robert and Sylvia back together.

“Yeah, it was,” Ron agreed absently.

Although the whole episode was romantic, Ron was not referring to it. In his mind, before he could help it and snap out of it, he was fantasizing how it would have been if, instead of Robert, who had finally succumbed to jealousy, wrenched Sylvia out of Ron’s grasp and given her a passionate kiss, it would have been him doing so to Hermione. When they finally broke away, Sylvia was blushing. If that was too much, then Robert’s impromptu but utterly (and sickeningly, according to Ron) sweet marriage proposal on the dance floor just…well just floored everyone.

It was this fantasy that made him unconsciously sigh out aloud, without meaning to. Hermione noticed and asked, “Anything wrong, Ron? You look tired.”

“Erm…nothing. I am just tired of all that dancing and stuff. I haven’t done it for ages. Shall we go home?”

“Okay, let’s go home.”

It was pretty late when Ron reached home, and although he had lied about being tired to Hermione, he couldn’t deny the fatigue that overtook him.

That night he had the same dream he had had a few nights back. The same place, the same cliff, the same woman standing on the same gold-outlined baby blanket. However, unlike last time, when the woman had had the scarf on her head, this time he could see her hair. It was chestnut brown. Very familiar air here. As he pulled her to him, he saw her eyes. Brown. Then he saw her face. Ron felt thrill, anxiety and excitement rush through him at the same time as he recognised the face he had long since realised as his soulmate and the love of his life.

It was Hermione.



Chhookar mere mann ko

kiya tumne kyaa ishaara

badla ye mausam

lage pyaara jag saara


(You touch my heart so,
what is it you wish to tell me
that the whole season has changed
and the whole world looks so lovely)
Revelations by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
Ron has finally discovered new feelings for Hermione. New...or are they just the old ones resurfacing? And what about the new person in Hermione's life? Who is that?
Chapter 7:Revelations


Ron sat bolt upright from the dream and, in spite of the fatigue that was irresistibly telling him to go back to sleep, the thoughts that were still running wildly in his head banished all thoughts of rest. So he decided to sit up and try to figure out what exactly the dream meant and what he should do about it now.

Well, it was clear that, even in the dream, the feel of her hand in his felt just perfect;as if their hands were two matching pieces from a jigsaw puzzle. Dream apart, in reality too, whenever he held her hand (un)consciously, when they were dating in their sixth year, he felt the same signs of the famous Weasley blush creep up his neck and take refuge in the tips of his ears. Now, at present, he felt the same thing. He had always known that there was something really special about her. Her strong will, her intelligence, her loyalty, her determination; her wild chestnut hair, her soft brown eyes which flashed with anger whenever they fought. The more he thought about her, the longer the list of things he loved about her grew.

Wait a minute, did he just admit to himself that he loved her?

Well Weasley, there’s no need to be surprised about that. Really, you’ve been unknowingly contemplating that since you met her in the Ministry.

Ron could not deny that now. But, what was he supposed to do now?

What do you mean by that? Tell her.

How?

Well, that’s something to think about. How about writing a letter?

A letter. Yes, now that sounded like a good idea. Forgetting about the idea of sleeping, he readied himself to write a letter…a love note….to Hermione. Many rubbish ideas and crumpled parchments later, he read through the final draft of the letter he had written:

Dear Hermione,

I had thought of so many great mushy things to write in this letter, but now everything is just slipping away. So, let me just cut to the chase, as I know you like things straightforward.

The thing is that I have always had feelings for you ever since sixth year, but now they have grown a lot over time. I guess that I would have to account the amount of time I spend with you for that. I think……no I know, I have fallen in love with you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, I want to ask you only one question and that is…Will You Marry Me?

Love, Ron


Only after he had finished reading the letter did Ron realise that the night had fled, and the sun had risen over the horizon, a sunbeam colouring a strip of floor bright yellow. He could already hear the hustle and bustle of the house waking up, filling with sound of his family downstairs. So he got up to get himself ready for the day. As he headed to the kitchen for breakfast, his cell rang again.

“Ron here!”

“Ron, it’s Hermione. Will you please come to Gloria Fleur Park at 10 o’clock today?”

“Oh no! Hermione… Not the park again! Anyway, what is this about?”

“Oh! What do you think we have been doing for all this time? It’s a blind date, of course. Just come. I’ll meet you there.”

“Oh, okay. But, Hermione, this is the last time I am doing this. Is that clear?”

“Alright, Ron. Whatever you say.”

A click ended the conversation. The truth was that, even though Ron knew that he need not go through another blind date, he had reluctantly agreed to it since he did not have the guts to tell Hermione about his decision. Thinking so, he stepped into the kitchen only to see Ginny gazing lovingly at a bouquet of roses.

“Good Morning, Ginny!”

“Oh! Good Morning, Ron!” she said, not looking away from the flowers.

“What’s up? Wait, let me guess…Mark has sent you his third bouquet of roses this week.”

“Yeah,” Ginny sighed, causing Ron to roll his eyes. She finally unglued her eyes from the bouquet, turning to look at her brother. A look of surprise crossed her face and Ginny swiftly removed a rose from the bouquet waving it in front of Ron’s face as if to confirm her doubts. Ron caught the rose in his hand, taking it from her grip; he stared at the red blossom as if completely entranced by the rose. Looking away from the rose, he caught sight of Ginny’s shocked expression.

“What?”

“I never thought I’d see this! I don’t believe it!” she exclaimed, finally finding her voice.

“Don’t believe what?” Ron asked, puzzled.

“Don’t deny it, Ronald Weasley!”

“Deny wh-!”

“You are in love, aren’t you?” Ginny interrupted.

Ron couldn’t help but blush, and that was what gave him away.

“Oh! Finally! It’s about time! Who is it?” Ginny said triumphantly.

“I’m not telling you!”

“Why not? Please tell me, Ron. Please, please, pretty please!”

“Okay, okay…don’t grovel! Just promise that you won’t tell anybody.”

“Okay, I promise.” Ron stood and bent to whisper one word in Ginny’s ear.

“Hermione.”

Ron just walked away, leaving his breakfast and a completely shocked and speechless Ginny in the kitchen of his home.

~*~

“Hello, Ron! I am sorry I won’t be able to make it there.”

“What?”

“Oh, don’t be upset. I’m kind of held up here. Anyway, the girl I have arranged for you to meet will be there in a few minutes. Her name is Ashley Emberstone.”

“Ashley?” repeated Ron.

A voice behind Ron said, “Well, that would be me!”

Ron mumbled an, “Okay, she’s here. See you later, bye”, and turned around.

Well, she was pretty, Ron could not deny that. But now, since Ron had his heart fixed on a brown-haired beauty, he could not help but try to ruin this date. Ashley’s eyes were fixed on the rose that was being twirled between Ron’s fingers.

“You know, you should give the rose to its rightful owner,” she said shyly, twisting a strand of her hair between her fingers.

“Don’t worry, I will,” said Ron, absently.

Confused for a moment, Ashley broke the silence by saying, “Are you the same Ron Weasley, who helped Harry Potter defeat Voldemort?”

“Yes, I am,” Ron said curtly. He did not have even the slightest idea as to why he was being so rude to the girl. Under different circumstances, he was sure he would have appreciated her saying the name of the Dark Lord, as even now, after his defeat, very few people had the nerve to speak the name. Seeing the hurt look on her face, obviously caused by his rudeness, he decided to do just that.

“You know, it’s been a long time since I’ve heard anybody say Voldemort’s name without half-fainting. I really appreciate that.” Ashley’s face relaxed slightly.

“Thank you…It’s just that my Dad always says that it’s no good living in a Voldemort-free world if we can’t even gather the courage to say his name. You know, he always says…”

Ron had long back stopped listening to her. Instead, he was watching a small kid about six or seven years old playing on his own near the pond in the park. Ron was so engrossed in watching the kid that he could only hear Ashley tell him something about her Dad.

“Er.. Ashley. I am sorry to interrupt, but let me get straight to the point. Do you have any idea as to why we are on a date?”

“Yes, sort of. Hermione told me that you were looking for a steady relationship.”

“Yeah, well, that’s true. But…boy, this is awkward…..I have something to tell you. Ashley, you are a very nice girl. Very pretty and understanding. But I have already chosen……”

“Oh….then why did you have Hermione call me here?” Ashley sounded hurt.

Ron took a deep breath. “Ashley, I know this will sound very irresponsible of me, but the truth is that Hermione doesn’t know about this at all. There was no time to tell her about it. If I would have met her today, I would have informed her so. I really didn’t mean to hurt you at all. I am really, really sorry about how this has turned out.”

Ashley softened up. “Well, I am sorry too. But it was really nice of you to be honest. I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t hurt, but it’s alright. Well I must be leaving now.”

“Wait, I know that this is not enough, but can I make it up with you by buying you lunch. Please?”

“Um, okay.”
~*~

Hermione was free this morning and she was enjoying it to the fullest. You would think that now she must be curled up with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate. After all, that is what Hermione was known to do. But over the years, Hermione had learnt various other ways of keeping herself occupied.

Like cooking.

Mrs. Weasley had told her that cooking, that too the Muggle way, was very therapeutic for her. It helped keep her sanity intact when the Weasley children were little, especially after Fred and George started becoming difficult to handle. She had tried it on her ever-Muggle-crazy husband, Arthur’s suggestion. She had even confessed to Hermione that, at first, she had scoffed at the suggestion. But now she was used to it and enjoyed finding new ways of cooking. Mrs. Weasley had suggested to Hermione that she should try cooking. She did, and was amazed how much she enjoyed it.

Humming a tune, she reached the cabinet and opened it, reaching for some salt.

“BOO!”

Hermione was startled but regained herself quickly.

“Matthew Christopher Granger! What are you doing in the cabinet?”

“Sorry, Mum! I just came back from the park.”

“It’s okay. Why don’t you set the plates for breakfast? Aunt Ginny should be here soon. Then you and I have to attend to Phil and Prissy.”

“Oh! Are they coming? Cool. I love playing with them. At least they don’t tease me.”

Hermione could understand the hurt he faced. Not having a father around had already made him a target of all bullies at his school. Now, having the occasional bursts of magic within him, had made him more scared of everything. So he really enjoyed playing with the Weasley children, even if he was much older than them.

Matthew was a very bubbly six-year-old. Truly speaking, he was all Hermione lived for. If it weren’t for him growing in her womb, she didn’t know what she would have done. When she met the Weasleys, with little Matthew in her arms, they immediately took her in. She got a job in the Ministry under Mr. Weasley, which was not very difficult given her marks in the OWLs and NEWTs, and her contribution to the Final War. If she hadn’t needed to stabilize her life to make it worth living for Matthew, she would have never kept him at a residential school away from herself. Long working hours were meant for keeping herself away from missing her son and wallowing in her past.

Now looking at him setting the table and helping her about at home, she realised the special relationship she shared with her son, of a mother, father, sister and a friend.

“Mum, what are these pictures all about?”

“Oh, Matt, leave them alone, would you? They are important for Mummy’s job.”

Just then, the doorbell rang. Hermione answered it to find Ginny with the two adorable Weasley kids, Phil and Prissy.

“Hey, Hermione! What’s up?”

“Hey, Ginny! Just cooking some breakfast. Matt’s here.”

“Hey, Matt! How’re you?”

Matt loved Ginny. Although he called her Aunt Ginny, he considered her more like a friend. She did the kind of guy stuff that a six-year old could do. Of course, there was nobody else suitable for the job, other than Ginny, who was raised with six boys herself.

“Hi Aunt Ginny! Are you going to stay for some breakfast with us?”

“Sorry buddy! Got to go. I have a date.”

Hermione, who was busy arranging the table, looked up.

“A date? Now? This early?”

“No, silly. I have a luncheon with Mark and his cousin’s family. Very close to Mark, they are. Although, I am getting a little tempted to stay and eat here.”

Ginny dipped her fingertip in the food that was kept on the table and licked it.

“Hmmmmmm! This is so delicious. Wow, Hermione you are going to give Mum a run for her money. Believe me, if it weren’t for the luncheon, I would have stayed right here.”

Hermione blushed at this praise. Just then, Ginny noticed the pictures, which Hermione had taken away from Matt, on the counter.

“Hey pictures! What are they for, Hermione?”

“Oh, those? They are for your dear darling brother, Ron.”

“Oh, matchmaker duty! But…didn’t Ron talk to you yet? I think he has found his match.”

“No- What? He didn’t tell me! Great!” she said with mock sarcasm. “Here I am selecting prospective brides for him, and he goes and selects one without even informing me about it. Wait, on second thought, he did sound a little upset this morning when I called him to tell him about his date,” she said thoughtfully, her mind returning to the call. “He told me that he wasn’t interested in seeing any more girls. I wonder who he could have picked…? Ginny, did he tell you anything about the girl?”

Ginny was about to tell her when she remembered the promise she had made to Ron, and instead she said, “Nah...I think that’s for Ron to know, and you to find out.”

Saying this, Ginny left (after taking one more taste of the food), leaving Hermione thinking about who that girl could be.

Actually, while on one hand Hermione was glad that Ron had found a suitable bride and she was now free to enjoy the rest of her ‘sabbatical’… on the other hand, she felt a tug of sadness at her heart. She felt that she was going to…lose him.

Lose him? She thought to herself. How can I lose him when I never had him? He was never mine.

Oh yes, he was. Think about it.

No use. It’s too late for that.

Hermione decided to ask Ron about his decision when she got a chance.

~*~
Meet Matthew by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
Ron learns of the new man in Hermione's life, Matt. Is he going to find place in his heart for him? Will this revelation change his love for Hermione?
Chapter 8: Meet Matthew


After having lunch with Ashley, Ron felt like talking to Harry. So he left for the park where Hermione had taken him to meet his first ‘date’, sat on a cozy park bench and called Harry.



“Harry here.”



“Hey, Harry. This is Ron!”



“Hey, Ron! What’s up, mate?”



“I am fine. How about you? How’s Hilary? Is she there? Say hi to her.”



“I am fine. Hilary is fine. Hey, I will be coming soon for Ginny’s wedding. I invited Hilary too and she has agreed to come. How is everybody there? Mrs. Weasley must be very busy.”



“Yeah, yeah. She’s busy with the wedding and Ginny’s busy daydreaming about it.”



Harry laughed.



“Oh, by the way, just guess who I met the first day I came home?”



“Sorry, mate. Guessing is not my job, it’s Hermione’s.”



“Exactly.”



“Sorry? What do you mean by ‘exactly’?"



“I mean, I met Hermione.”



“Hermione?”



“Yeah… She’s immediate assistant to Dad in the Muggle relations department. Dad put her in charge of a project along with me.”



“Project? With you? Well, this is new. What’s the project about?”



“It’s…er……kind of personal and too long to talk about on the phone. I’ll tell you when you come home. OK?”



“Oh man, I must come soon. I can’t handle this suspense. Anyway, how come you called?”



“Excuse me, since when did I need a reason to talk to my best friend?”



“Of course not. I am glad you called. Ron, mate, I gotta go. Hilary’s calling me. Say hi to your family from me. Say a special hello to Hermione…and I want to know everything about this ‘project’ you’re in, the moment I come.”



“Yeah, sure! Well the project’s sort of over. But I can’t wait to tell you. See ya, Harry.”



“Yeah…bye, Ron.”



Ron disconnected his cell and started watching people around him. There were some old people sitting on the bench and probably discussing politics, joggers running along the track, kids playing with their parents. As his eyes passed the group of kids, they stopped to take a second look. There was something too familiar about the people sitting in the group. The woman had brown hair and had an open book lying next to her, as she played with two red-headed children.



Red-headed children? He stepped closer to have a better look and realized that the woman was none other than Hermione and the kids were his niece and nephew, Prissy and Phil.



“Hi, Hermione!”



Hermione looked up and gave a surprised “Ron!”



“How come you are here? I thought you hated parks.”



“No actually, I don’t. Just came in here for a stroll, to clear up my mind,” Ron said, absently playing with the letter (to Hermione) in his pocket.



“Oh! Is something wrong?”



“Wrong? Oh, no, nothing’s wrong. It’s just that I was alone, and I got thinking something and just got carried away. You know, living with Harry for fifteen years does have that effect on you.”



Hermione laughed and that made Ron happy and nervous at the same time. How was he going to talk to her about his feelings?



“Um…Hermione. What brings you here? How come you didn’t come this morning?”



“Actually, I had offered to baby-sit Phil and Prissy since Ginny had to attend a luncheon with Mark. So I got held up in finishing my morning chores. For your second question, you see actually, my-“



Before Hermione could continue, they heard an excited shout, “Muuuuuuum! Look at me!”



Both Ron and Hermione’s heads turned in the direction of the voice and they saw a kid balancing himself on the railing of a bridge in the park. Hermione gave a frightened gasp and shouted angrily, “MATTHEW CHRISTOPHER GRANGER! GET DOWN FROM THAT BRIDGE RAILING RIGHT NOW!”



Hermione thrusted Phil from her arms to his and ran towards Matthew, scolding him, “Matthew! What is wrong with you? Don’t you dare do that again!”



Ron didn’t hear much. He was beginning to turn numb with shock, as the meaning of the conversation between Hermione and Matthew began to sink in.



“Ron? Are you all right?”



Ron stumbled back to reality and said, “Huh? Yeah, yeah, I am fine.”



“Okay, let me introduce you to Matthew Granger…my son. And Matthew, this is Ron, my friend from school. He is Aunt Ginny’s brother. Ron, I need to ask you a favor.”



“Yeah?”



“Can you take me to the Burrow? I have to drop the kids.”



“Okay, sure. Let’s go.”



Although he was responding to everything that Hermione was talking, it was all mechanical. Hermione? She has a son? And nobody told him? Not even Hermione? Why? All the way home he listened absently to what Hermione was saying, the kids were babbling, but absorbed nothing. They reached the Borrow and Hermione handed over the kids. Percy and Penny had come over. Actually, almost the whole family was there. Ron wondered why.



Mrs. Weasley’s voice broke his train of thoughts.



“Oh good, Ron, Hermione, you are here. I have an announcement to make.”



“What’s going on, Mum?” Ron asked.



“I have a surprise for two very special members of the family.” Molly paused for the effect. “Ginny and I have arranged a baby shower for Angelina and Alicia.”



The women broke out in squeals of excitement so loud that the men, even Mr. Weasley, had to cover their ears.



Finally, Mr. Weasley had to shout above everybody’s din, “Okay, okay. Settle down. You haven’t heard the whole thing yet. The whole function is tomorrow.”



“Tomorrow? Merlin, Molly, how are you going to do it?”



“Do you need some help?”



“We could lend you a hand.”



Angelina and Alicia started offering help to Mrs. Weasley, almost completing each other’s sentences. They were looking so funny that Ron could not help but snicker and say, “Gee, girls. Looks like the twins are finally rubbing off on you. Completing each other’s sentences, eh?”



Everybody laughed out aloud while agreeing. Finally, Mrs. Weasley told them, “Don’t worry, dears. You just relax and enjoy the whole thing. It is your day. I have everything under control. Besides, Penny, Hermione and Ginny are always there. So just relax. Fred, George, you better take care of them.”



“Of course, Mum!”



After all the excitement had settled down over dinner, Hermione and Matt left and everybody retired to bed. But, for once, Ron didn’t feel sleepy at all. He was heartbroken, hurt, confused all at the same time. The letter was still with him. He didn’t know what to do with it. Maybe, I’ll just let it be.



Agreeing with his own thought, sleep finally crept in his eyes.



~*~




The attic was one of Ron’s most favorite places in the house. It was the only place that provided him solace, even more than his own room, because he never got privacy there with Fred and George always there to tease him or do something else to irritate him. Of course, the twins could have always come to disturb him there, but Ron was clever enough to come there when the twins were busy being rebuked by their mother for the umpteenth time. Soon, the scolding session would finish, but the twins would find something else to occupy their mind (and hands), forgetting everything about pulling a prank on Ron. But that was not for long. That was a reason why Ron valued his solitude so much till he went to Hogwarts and met Harry. After that, everything changed. All the peace he found in the solitude of the attic, he found the same in the company of Harry and Hermione.



But now, he needed this solace again because Harry wasn’t there with him and the reason he needed the solitude was Hermione. That was the reason why he found himself in the attic, reading the letter to Hermione again and again, and thinking over what to do next, while the rest of the household was busy helping in the ‘twin’ baby shower celebration.



Suddenly, the door of the attic opened and who else had to enter, but Matthew. But somehow he didn’t seem in a mood to exchange pleasantries, because, as soon as he saw Ron, he placed his finger on his lips, and ran away to hide behind some trunks. Ron sat confused, till Ginny came in.



“Hey, Ron, have you seen Matthew? He just disappeared from the living room. The little midget.”



Ron immediately understood the reason behind Matt’s hurry and said smilingly, “No, Ginny. Nobody has come here. I have been sitting here for a pretty long time.”



“Oh, okay. But please come down soon. We might need a hand down there.”



“Okay, Ginny. You go ahead. I’ll be right there in a few.”



With that, Ginny went back to searching for the kid who was right now hiding in the attic.



“All clear, Matt! You can come out now.”



“Oh! Thank Merlin!”



“Why are you hiding here?”



“To escape from Aunt Ginny’s friends. You know, I love Aunt Ginny, but when her friends come, they always pull my cheeks and all that mushy stuff. I hate that. So, what are you doing here?”



“Excuse me? This is my house. I always come here when I want to,” Ron replied curtly, giving Matt a stern glance.



Matthew cowered under the glance and said timidly, “I come here too. It’s my secret hiding place.”



Ron softened and felt ashamed for being angry at that sweet little boy for no fault of his. So he decided to make up for that by offering a handshake and saying, “Tell you what. What would you say if we made this our secret place and did not tell anybody about it?”



“Wow! Cool! It’s a deal!” Matt exclaimed.



“Good! And friends?” Ron asked to Matt, who was still shaking his hand.



Now Matt was so excited that he tightly hugged Ron while saying, “Yes! Friends!”



“Ok, Let’s go, or else Aunt Ginny will come back again,” Ron said lifting Matt who, somewhere during the conversation, was sitting on his lap and placing him on the ground. Matt skipped away happily, while Ron watched him with adoration in his eyes and stuffed his hands in his pockets as he stood. He’s some kid. Hermione’s kid. It felt strange for Ron to think of Hermione as a mother. Somehow he had always pictured ‘Mother’ Hermione to be like his own Mum. Placing his hand on his forehead and nodding to himself, while amusing himself with that image, he entered the garden.



He did not notice the piece of parchment that had fallen out of his pocket and now lay on the stairs. He did not notice Matt pick it up and fold it up to make a paper airplane. He only saw Hermione busy chatting away with Ginny and all his sisters-in-law.



“Admirable, isn’t she?” he heard his father’s voice from behind him.



“Pardon?”



“Hermione. She is admirable, isn’t she?”



“Yeah, yeah, she is.”



“You know, Ron, after Harry and you left for training, Hermione left to stay with her parents. Her parents were pretty shaken from the whole war thing. Quite understandable, isn’t it? But, from what Hermione told us, her parents wanted her to settle down and that too, away from our world. So she was married off. I have a feeling she was not happy with it, but she did not have the strength to oppose them.”



Ron remembered how weak (physically and emotionally) Hermione had become after the War. It had taken a long time for her to recuperate. She was not fully recovered, even Harry and he had left. He felt himself slowly consumed with guilt for having left her, broken up with her, when she seemed to need him and Harry the most. He came back to reality to listen to what his father was telling him.



“The next thing we knew was she had come to us with little Matt in her arms. Apparently, her marriage was not a very happy one. Her husband had left her, to earn, more like chase after money. Just vanished. She was distraught, but in that state too, she took no sympathy. She stayed with us, but helped me with the overload of Ministry work. So, when she was capable of leaving home, she began working under me. In short, she has rebuilt her life from scratch and on her own merit. The most vulnerable I see her is when she has to drop Matt back to school.”



An overwhelming feeling of respect for Hermione grew within Ron. He had always loved her for her smartness, intelligence. He always admired her for her courage to face whatever challenge was thrown to her. He loved her as a girl. Now, he respected her as a woman. Given all the hardships she had faced, she had done a very good job with raising Matthew. He felt that now she deserved a break from all her struggles and right to lead an easy life. With him.



“Ron! Ron!!” Ron heard Matthew call him and run to him from the garden. “Ron! I have something to tell you. Come with me. Please!” Matthew began to tug at the sleeve of the jacket that Ron was wearing.



Ron gave in to the pull and followed Matt wherever he took him. “Ron, I am going to school tomorrow. It is Parents’ Day. My dad never comes. Only Mum comes. I was thinking that erm…will… erm…you…”



“WHAT?” Ron had pulled his hand away with a jerk as he realized what Matt was trying to say. He at once saw Matt’s eyes well up with tears and rush away crying. It took him a moment to realize that in his shock, he had unknowingly smacked Matt.



Ron immediately realized his folly and made to follow Matt.



“Hey, Matt! Please stop! Wait up! Please! Come on, brave children don’t cry for silly reasons. Aren’t you a brave boy of your brave Mum?”



“Yes, I am,” Matt replied, still sniffing.



“I am sorry. I was just surprised. I am sorry, Matt!”



“It’s okay!” Matt said, giving a small smile.



~*~



The baby shower was a grand success. All the guests had left and all the children had gone to sleep. But, Matthew was nowhere to be seen in the house. Hermione had checked the whole place, even the garage where she found Mr. Weasley fiddling with Muggle merchandise.



“Mr. Weasley, have you seen Matt, by any chance?”



“Oh, yes. He took Ron in the garden. He has been with Ron all day.”



Thanking Mr Weasley, she left the garage and stopped as she heard some voices. They were, unmistakably, Ron’s and Matt’s voices. Ron was comforting Matt about something, as they played mock boxing. She stepped forward, literally on tiptoe, careful as to not disturb them. What she saw surprised her, and gave her a happy feeling.



Ron was telling Matt, “You know you are really getting good at this.”



“Really? So what about my idea? Will you be my Dad?”



Ron was stunned, although he was not sure what exactly stunned him. Was it the question or the casual manner in which it was asked? So he did not even react when Matt boxed him right on the nose and exclaimed, “You were right! I am getting good at this!”



Hermione too was stunned by the question asked by Matt, but she recovered before Ron and hurried to Matt saying, “Oh, Matt! Don’t be silly! Ron is busy. He doesn’t have time for all this.”



It was then that Ron came out of his stupor and said softly to Hermione, “You know, if Matt really wants me to, I could really come. That is, if you don’t mind.”



“Oh, no, Ron. Please. It’s not that. Matt must have just gone into those ‘I want a Dad’ moods. Really, it’s okay,” Hermione said quickly.



“No, no. I really don’t mind. In fact, I would love it. And more, if it makes Matt happy.”



“No, Ron. I wouldn’t think so.”



Saying this, Hermione left for her home, with Matthew repeatedly looking back at Ron with pleading looks.



~*~



That night, after tucking in Matthew, Hermione rolled her eyes amusedly at the mess in his room. She was just lifting the clothes which he had worn over the day, when she felt the rustling of a paper in one of the pockets. She removed it and saw that it was a paper airplane. She was about to ignore it, when she saw her own name in one of its folds. Curiously, she opened it and read the matter in it.



Dear Hermione,

I had thought of so many mushy things to write in this letter, but now everything is just slipping away. So, let me just cut to the chase, as I know you like things straightforward.

The thing is that I have had feelings for you ever since sixth year, but now they have grown a lot. I guess I would have to account the amount of time I spend with you for that. I think……no I know, I have fallen in love with you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, I want to ask you only one question and that is…Will You Marry Me?

Love, Ron




Hermione was burning with fury. Is this a joke? If it is, I am going to kill Ronald Weasley.



Hermione noticed that Matthew was completely taken by Ron and all this, within a day. He wanted to meet him every time and missed him a lot. She was unable to understand this pull Matt felt towards Ron. Gradually, an idea began to take shape in Hermione’s mind, was Matt looking for a father figure in Ron? The more she thought about it, the more it made sense. Although, she knew it was immature of her to think like this, Hermione could not help but feel a little jealous towards Ron.



Still consumed in these thoughts, Hermione left Matt’s room quietly to resume his packing outside his room.



~*~



“Matt, darling, have you packed for your school?”



“Yes, Mum. Is Ron coming too?” Matt asked eagerly.



Hermione felt a surge of anger through her, and without intending to, she replied sharply, “No, he’s not.”



“Why not?”



“Because he is busy.”



“Well, let’s ask him. He said he will come, if I wanted him to.”



“No, we will do no such thing.”



“Why not?”



“BECAUSE RON IS NOT YOUR DADDY. DO YOU GET THAT? NOW GO PACK UP RIGHT NOW!”



Tears welled up in Matt’s eyes, as he was totally unprepared for such a reaction from his mother. He ran out of the room crying and muttering something like, “But I want Ron to be my Daddy!”



Hermione felt ashamed for scolding her own child for no valid reason. She could not control herself anymore, and she dropped on her knees near the corner of Matt’s bed and cried her heart out.



~*~
Ron's Decision by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
Ron has made his decision. Better late than never. A light chapter, a bit fluffy, if I may say so.
Chapter 9: Ron’s Decision


Hermione had never actually let go of the habit of checking and rechecking luggage even after leaving Hogwarts. It was nearly time for their bus to leave as the driver was getting ready to start the bus. Matthew was still upset at her for shouting at him, and Hermione felt guilty for shouting at him too.

She said to Matthew, “Sweetie. I’ll be right back.”

Hermione rushed out of her bus to the sweet shop in the station.

“One box of Mars bars please.”

“That won’t be necessary. I have some already,” a voice from behind Hermione said. It was Ron.

“Ron, leave us alone. Go away.”

“Well excuse me, I came here for Matt, not for you.”

“Oh yeah? Not for me? Then, will you please tell me Ron, what is this?”, Hermione was holding Ron’s letter in front of him. For once, Ron was stumped. Not only, because he was aware that now Hermione had come to know of his feelings in the most unceremonious manner possible, but also because he had no idea how it had reached her without his knowledge.

Ron stuttered, “Her-Hermione! H-How did th-that reach you?”

“That is not what bothers me now. What bothers me is……how could you, Ron? How could you think something like this about me, Ron? Are you trying to make fun of me? Is this some kind of a joke?”

“No, No! Hermione. This is no joke. I meant every word I wrote in that letter. I still do. The only thing is that when I wrote this letter, I did not know anything about Matt or your past and I-”

Hermione held up her hand and said in a very steely voice, “That’s enough, Ron. I don’t want to hear anything from you anymore. Just don’t interfere in my life, and leave us alone. Do I make myself clear?”

She tore the letter into bits, threw them on Ron’s face, and alighted the bus. Ron stood dumbfounded at the unexpected turn of events, as he watched the shape of the bus become smaller and smaller.

~*~

“Look at that. The freak is back…”

“Oh, where is your father, freakie boy?”

Matt was used to his schoolmates tease him this way, yet it still reduced him to tears. He had only one best friend, Kevin who was his mother’s old friend Lavender’s son. Since Kevin was also a wizard, he too faced the occasional bursts of magic within him. But this time, as he sat and chatted with Kevin about their holidays, he did not feel very bad about all the teasing. On the contrary, he had a gut feeeling that this was not going to happen anymore. Why, he didn’t know.

Matt was just showing Kevin the gift he got from his Aunt Ginny, when it was snatched from him by Rich, the school bully.

“Oh, what is this? A new present for Mattie boy? Is it unbreakable? I hope not.”

“Give it back to me, Rich. It’s mine.”

“Yours? Who gave it to you? Your Dad? Oh, I remembered . You don’t have one!” Rich mocked as he and his friends burst into raucous laughter, and before Matt could say anything, his present was hurled into the air. Matt closed his eyes, waiting for a crash or a thump. But none of it came. Matt squinted his eyes open only to find a tall, red-headed man holding his gift in his hand and examining it closely.

“YES!” Matt exclaimed. Looking at the shocked faces of his opponents, he said, “I have a Dad and he is mine.” He pointed towards Ron.

Matt ran into Ron’s arms and whispered into his ears, “Thanks Ron! Thanks for coming! Thanks for being my Dad!”

“Anytime son, anytime.”

Apparently, Hermione was completely unaware of the racket that had taken place in the playground because she was basking in the praises showered about her son. She was very proud of him, and would have stayed in that trance if she wouldn’t have heard shouts and cheers coming from the playground.

Somehow, she found out that Matt had placed bets with some child named Rich that his father can jump from the roof of the school buildiing. Matt’s father? She thought. She must got a jolt of shock when she saw the red-headed man standing on the roof. With Matthew?

“Matthew Granger! Come down here right now!”, she screamed. Adding an afterthought she said, “By the stairs please.”

Up on the roof, Ron had no idea what he was doing. All he knew, was that he did not want to let Matthew down. But he made it a point to tell Matt after he heard Hermione’s screams, “Matt, buddy. Make sure that next time, you place easier “ and safer - bets with your friends the next time. Especially, when they concern me. Please!”

“Sure Dad! I am sorry.”

“It’s okay. Now go back to your Mum carefully. Because, from what I see from up here, you are already in serious trouble.”

When Matt reached his mother, Hermione first hugged him tightly and then shot a glare at him which clearly meant “What on earth is happening here?”

Matt grinned sheepishly and said, “Actually, I just…kind of…told Rich that my Dad can jump from anywhere and land without scratch.”

“Matt, you didn’t,” Hermione groaned, feeling sorry for Ron for having become a scapegoat here. She was completely oblivious to Ron jumping from that fateful place and landing unscathed.

“Actually, he did,” Ron said from behind, making an obvious show of dusting his clothes as he had landed firmly on his feet. Throwing a wink at Matt, he continued, “and I am glad he did. It’s not everyday that you can brag about your Dad. Right, Matt?”

Matt winked back and sprinted off to play with Kevin.

Hermione turned her attention from Matt to Ron, who was already looking at her. She thought she saw his expression change to harsh from……was that admiration?

“If you are wondering why I’m here, then let me tell you that I am not following you, or stalking you. I’m here because I promised Matthew. And I intend to keep my promise,” saying this, Ron walked away towards Matt and away from Hermione. He missed the speechless look on her face, which gave way to a hint of smile.

Meanwhile, Ron half regretted his harsh behaviour with Hermione. But he could not just let go of the anger he felt when she tore his letter at the station, without even listening to his side of the story. It was such an ironic situation that, while Hermione was claiming that Ron was making fun of her feelings, she was actually the one who was making a joke out of Ron’s feelings.

The day just passed by with Ron doing everything that suited Matt’s crazy whims; literally everything and literally crazy. As Hermione was keeping a check on Matt as well as dealing with the praises of his teachers about his smartness to complaints about his mischiefs, she managed to steal a look or two at Ron. To her chagrin, she even met his eyes once or twice. She could not quite decipher what she saw in his eyes then.

Soon, Parents’ Day was over and Ron stealthily distanced himself away from the school towards his car to allow mother and son some moments to themselves. He could not hear them speak, but he could see that Hermione looked truly sad as she was parting from her son. He remembered what his father said about her, that this was surely one of the moments when the otherwise strong Hermione looked the most vulnerable. He actually saw how true that was.

Hermione, as usual, could not hold back her tears. She managed to deliver the same old lectures of eating well, writing regularly, and not being shy to report any problem to the authorities. Finally, she broke down, “Matt, be safe, my baby. Don’t cry!” It seemed that the last sentence was more directed to herself than to her son.

Matt looked at his mother and lifted her face with his small hands. Wiping her tears, he said, “Honestly Mum! I am fine. You’re telling me not to cry, and look at yourself. Mum, you are crying!”

“Oh yeah. Silly me!”

Matt understood his mother. He realised how hard she worked to keep him happy and comfortable. He knew that she loved him and he loved her too. He had heard from his Aunt Ginny how intelligent and brave his mother had been in her school days, and still is, and he wanted to be like her. So he worked hard and was a good child at school, to make his mother happy and proud for him.

“Mum! It’s time to go.”

“Ok, baby. Take care. And Matt, I am sorry for yelling at you today.”

“It’s okay, Mum. I love you.”

Hermione gave her son a tight hug and turned to leave.
~*~

Ron drove in silence all the way. It was raining outside and that stormy weather exactly potrayed his mood right now. For once, he was not in seventh heaven that Hermione was seated next to him, silently. Hermione too, for her part, now completely regretted her behaviour at the bus station earlier that day. She felt that she had to explain her situation to Ron. He deserved it. So she turned to him.

“Ron?”

“Hmmm?”

“I am sorry about today…”

“Oh, no, Hermione. Not at all. You think I am angry at you. Oh no,” said Ron, in a tone that sounded that was casual but was actually, very angry and hurt.

Hermione sensed that, because she said, “I think I should explain.”

“Explain? Why Hermione? Can’t handle that you have, for once, failed miserably in something like marriage?”

That was the last straw. Now Hermione was angry. How can he say something so rude and cruel?

In a cold voice, Hermione said, “Stop the car.”

Ron too had realised that he had gone too far with that comment. But now, what was done was done. There was no going back. But he didn’t stop the car.

She repeated, loudly, albeit in the same cold voice, “I said stop the car. Right. Now.”

The car stopped and Hermione got out of it immediately, walking away briskly from it.

“Hermione! Wait! I am sorry! Please stop! Come on, it’s raining!”

“I don’t care for the rain, Ron. Why Ron?”

Ron did not understand what she meant by the question and it showed on his face. However, Hermione was too agitated to notice that as she continued, “Why is it always the woman’s fault? Is it my fault that you left me after Hogwarts to pursue your career? Is it my fault that Ian never loved me and left me to chase after some bimbo and her money? Is it my fault that Ian never bothered to find out anything about his family? Tell me Ron, is it my fault at all? Ron, I have limits too. How long can I bear all this?”

“ ‘Mione, ‘Mione, I understand,” said Ron, slowly approaching her. But she stopped him.

“No Ron, you don’t understand. You will never understand. I think it’s best that we part our ways.”

“No, Hermione,” Ron grabbed her hand and pulled her back. “I don’t think we should part our ways. We have done that for eight years. It didn’t work for me then and it is not going to work for me now.”

Hermione opened mouth to protest, but Ron silenced her with a finger on her lips. He continued, “Hermione, I understand what you have been through. More than what you think is my ability to understand. And trust me, I love you more than ever. Don’t be surprised, Hermione. It is true. I have loved you since the time you told me that I have dirt on my nose. I loved you even when the day we parted on the last day at Hogwarts.”

Hermione asked, with tears in her eyes, “Then why did you go?”

“I am sorry, Hermione. It just seemed the best thing to do at that time. You have no idea how much it hurt me.”

“Ron, do you have any idea what your coming back has done to me? I had so long buried those feelings in me and..”

“Hermione,” Ron said. “Don’t say a thing.”

Ron moved towards Hermione and kissed her softly with all the love in him. It was more than a kiss. It was a proof of the promise that Ron made to himself and Hermione that he would give her and Matt a better life. It was a kiss that released Hermione from the torment of her past and gave her hope of happiness and love in future. It was a kiss that made Ron forget all about his career plans and Hermione, all about her situation in reality, for now they were too deep in love to notice any problems.

As they parted, there was no need to ask any questions aloud but Hermione felt the need to answer the one that was in Ron’s eyes and she just said, “Yes Ron.”

Ron could have jumped in the air had it not been a serious situation, but all he could was open his mouth to say something when Hermione silenced him by saying, “Shh Ron! Don’t say a thing.”

~*~

All the way, from Hermione’s flat to the Burrow, Ron felt giddy with happiness. He felt almost drunk with it. So when he reached home, he rushed to his room to find Ginny busy chatting with a person. A very familiar person.

“Harry!”

Harry turned to him and gave him a big smile, saying, “Hey Ron! So nice to see you!”

“Nice to see you too, Ron!”

“Oh yeah, hello to you too, Ron,” said another voice in the room.

“Hillary! Hi, how are you? Glad that you could make it,” Ron greeted Hillary with a peck on the cheek.

“Ginny, have you introduced her to the family?”, Ron turned to Ginny.

“Actually no, they just came, you know and we had just started tallking when you came,” Ginny replied. “C’mon Hillary, let’s leave the blokes alone. They have some catching up to do.”

Saying this, Ginny led Hillary out of Ron’s room, but not before throwing a wink in Harry’s direction. Ron noticed it.

“Whoa, mate, what was all that about?”

“I’ll tell you that later. But first, tell me about your project?”

“Oh……er…….project? Okay, sit down. I’ll tell you.”

Ron told Harry everything about how he met Hermione, how they were put together in the Operation Settle-Down. He even told Harry about all the funny dates, his dream, his dream-woman, Matthew, Hermione’s past, and how he reached the conclusion that she was the one he was going to marry. Then he stopped.

All the while, Harry gave all the reactions that Ron had expected him to give at the right moment. But he was confused when Ron stopped all of a sudden.

So Harry said, “Is this the part when I am supposed to ask you about your decision? Because if you don’t tell me on your own, I am going to hex it out of you.”

Ron smiled. It was a very different smile from his usual lopsided mischievous grin. It was a smile full of maturity, and happiness. But….there was most certainly some trace of mischief in it.

He said, “Oh, I’ll tell you if you tell me all about Ginny’s wink.”

Harry was taken aback and had no choice but to blush.

“Oh, about the wink, er……It’s just that……Hillary and I are…um… engaged.”

Without a warning, Harry found himself in his friend’s embrace and hugged him back. Truly speaking, in all his years of friendship with Ron, he had never hugged, actually hugged him with brotherly affection. So he was surprised. Pleased, but surprised. Nevertheless, he hugged him back, and said, “Whoa! Who are you and what have you done to Ronald Weasley?”

“Huh?”

“Mate, you realise that you’ve become a softie?”

“Yeah, mate. You know how it feels and all?”

“Of course I was just teasing. So are you going to tell or do I go on with my threat?”

But, before Ron could say something, they heard a knock and then Ginny’s voice saying, “Dinner’s ready, guys!”

Ron had an idea.

“You know what, Harry, I think now that I have made a decision. I might as well tell it to everybody. Let’s go. Not to mention, all this emotional stuff makes me hungry.”

After dinner, when everybody had settled down, Ron decided that this was the time. So he began, “Er…everybody, I have something to share with you guys.”

All the chatting stopped and everybody’s eyes were now at him. Feeling encouraged, he continued, “Mum, Dad, I know it was your plan to put me on an Operation Settle-Down. So, I just want to say that your plan worked. In the most unusual way, yes, but it worked. What I mean to tell is that I have found the girl I want to marry.”

Now everybody’s curiosity had reached its peak.

“Mum, Dad, everybody, I have decided to marry Hermione.”
~*~
What Happens Now? by FreeWinky
Author's Notes:
Ron has just announced that he is going to marry Hermione, come what may. But.... why is there a but always?
Chapter 10: What Happens Now?


The silence at the dining table was deafening. Ron summarised everybody’s reaction as pure shock. Just shock. Somehow, he was surprised that he did not feel even the slightest tinge of opposition in the room. Or was there any?

“Oh sweet Merlin!” came Mrs. Weasley’s sudden exclamation, to which everyone started and turned their focus from Ron to her. Even Ron looked at her questioningly.

Suddenly aware of all the attention on her, Mrs. Weasley’s voice toned down and she said, “Oh my! Ron, do you know about Matthew and Hermione?”

“Of course, Mum! I know that Matthew is Hermione’s son.”

“Then…”

“Look Mum, what has happened to Hermione in her past is none of my business.” Looking at everyone, Ron said, “You know, I don’t care about her past. All I know is I am going to marry Hermione and that is final!”

Before anyone could offer an explanation, Ron had walked out of the room.

Back in his room, Ron had no idea as to why his mother was upset over the decision. He could not sit for long and began pacing. He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he did not notice his mother enter the room.

“Ron, dear!”

Ron looked at his mother, with lots of questions in his eyes.

“Before you say anything, just listen to me.”

Ron was silent and Mrs.Weasley sat on his bed to continue.

“Your father told me that he had told you everything about Hermione’s past. I’m sorry dear, I didn’t know that you knew. I didn’t mean to tell you that I was against your decision. It’s just that your decision took me by surprise. I just want to make sure that you aren’t marrying Hermione out of pity or sympathy because heaven knows that of all the things Hermione deserves, pity is not one of them.”

Ron was genuinely shocked at his mother’s words because whatever he had expected his mother to tell him, this was not it. Silence told him that his reaction was expected soon.
Not able to handle it, he knelt before her and said, “Mum! Of course I am not marrying her out of pity or anything like that. I would be lying if I said that I never loved her before. I have loved her since we began dating. Seeing her now, after so many years and as a mother, did surprise me. But now, along with love, I also respect her for standing up and facing everything. As for Matthew, he is such an adorable kid. I want to marry her purely because I love her and Matthew a lot.”

Mrs.Weasley looked proudly at her son and said, “Good. Then I want you to invite her over for dinner.”

Ron couldn’t believe his luck. So he hugged his mother with the fiercest hug a son could ever give his mother.

Downstairs at the dinner table joy was running its highest. Now that Ron’s decision had sunk in, everybody was taking their opportunity to tease Ron. So much so that Fred said, “Does that mean we get to tease Hermione like we do to Ginny?”

“Excuse me?” Ron raised an eyebrow.

“Well, brother, look at him. All grown up and getting married. Already defending Hermione,” George said, with a mock sniff.

“Oh yeah, but don’t forget, Ronniekins, what happened the last time you tried to defend Hermione. Come to think of it, you sure you don’t need a new wand?”

The whole room burst into laughter with the memory, and Ron, not able to hold his irritation for long, also joined them.

~*~
Normally Hermione would feel very sad and lonely every time she’d return home after dropping Matt at school. She would clean up her house a bit (it always became messy during Matt’s visits), and complete her incomplete Ministry work till she would feel sleepy and just drop off to sleep.

But tonight she felt different; she was feeling very elated and happy for once. In fact, she had not experienced such an overwhelming desire to do a happy dance since . . . well since Matt was born. And that was a very long time back. Maybe Ron and the puddle incident had something to do with it.

Maybe? Of course, that incident did have everything to do with her feelings at the moment. Even she, one of the most brilliant students of Hogwarts and a master of vocabulary, did not have words to describe the feelings her heart felt then. It seemed to her as if her body and her mind were separated at the moment and she was in a trance, because while her body was doing the regular jobs of cleaning up, her mind was still stuck at the image when she and Ron had kissed. For once, she did not bother to analyze her feelings. She broke out of reverie, only when she had realised that, as usual, she was sitting at her desk to do her Ministry work. Deciding to give it a break, she just closed it and walked towards her bed.

As she fell asleep, thousands of thoughts swirled in her mind: both pleasant and unpleasant. Images of her and Ron dating, the Trio in the war, Ron breaking up with her on the last night at Hogwarts, her meeting Ron suddenly at the Ministry, each irritating yet humorous disaster of a date, Ginny telling her that Ron had found himself a bride . . .

A sudden knock at the front door woke up Hermione rather rudely. Still in her dreamworld about Ron, she almost mechanically got up. She caught herself, just in time, for being careless and armed herself with her wand. Just because her lifestyle was muggle, it didn’t meant she had slacked off over her hexes. She could still throw a mean hex when push came to shove.

Bracing herself for the worst, she slowly and cautiously opened the door. What, or whom, she saw outside her door left her blank for a second.

“You?”

Of course it was worse, but nothing like what she had expected. Standing on the other side of the doorway was Ian, her husband. The same man who left her at a point in her life when she most needed him, Matthew’s birth. She still remembered the day like yesterday.

Hermione was in pain. She was in labour. A moment which she had longed to share with Ian. She had always thought all the distances that Ian had maintained all these days would fade away once a baby came into their life.

She was being taken away to the labour room, while her doctor kept telling her, “Hermione! It’s time! We cannot wait any longer!” Whilst she kept telling the doctor, and herself, “No, he’ll surely come. He has been waiting for this for a long time, maybe longer than me. Just call him, will you?” She somehow groped into her purse and handed out her husband’s business card.

There was no response, but since the doctor told her that waiting for some more time would be dangerous for her and the baby, she consented to carry on with the delivery.

It was probably the happiest moment of her life when she held little Matthew in her arms. She could not fathom how something so small could look so breathtaking at the same time. Ironically enough, that was the saddest moment of her life, when the nurse told her that there was no response from Ian’s office. That was the moment when all her fears came true. All the illusions she had been living in, shattered like glass.

“Mrs. Crest? Nobody seems to be receiving calls at your husband’s office.”

“It’s okay. There’s no need for trying that number now.”

“I am sorry. And congratulations on the baby, Mrs.Crest.”

It was at that moment that Hermione really faced the reality because she said,“No, not Mrs. Crest, It’s Miss Granger.”

The nurse had walked away, but Hermione continued in a whisper, “and you, my baby, are Matthew Christopher Granger.”

She came out of her trance at the sound of a gruff voice, but could not shake out the loss of speech. Ian looked at her and spoke, “Hermione, I know you are surprised. No, surprised is an understatement. More like shocked, aren’t you?”

Still unable to speak, she nodded slowly.

Ian continued, “Hermione, look, I am sorry to have left you so many years ago. But, all I wanted to do was earn more so that I could give you a more comfortable lifestyle. You do admit that we were not living a very lavish lifestyle then, and there was a baby on its way. I just had to-”

Now that the presence of Ian had sunk in, Hermione interrupted, “Wait a minute! What are you doing here? And did you think that by just walking into my apartment first thing in the morning and explaining yourself you’ll be able to make me forget what you did six years back? Because if that’s what you think, you are entirely wrong mister.”

Ian was understandably alarmed by the stand Hermione had taken about things. Apparently he had expected such an outburst. So he shifted a little and said, “Of course not. I did not think it would be like that. Look, if you need some time, I’ll gladly give you that. Whenever you have made up your mind, call me. I am staying at a hotel nearby. Here’s the number.” Ian wrote down the name of the hotel and its number on a paper. Then he left after kissing her on the cheek.

Hermione would have stood there dumbfounded forever if the cellphone on the nightstand wouldn’t have started ringing.

“Hello?”

“Good Morning, my love.”

“Excuse me?”

“Hey hey, its Ron!”

“Oh Ron! Sorry, I was kind of preoccupied in my own thoughts. So what makes you call me early in the morning?”

“Oh, I just called to say, I love you…”

Hermione could not control it anymore and started laughing at Ron’s offtune singing.

“Really?”

“Really! Anyway, jokes and off tune singing apart, I have called you to invite you to dinner tonight.”

“Why?”

“Just like that! No, actually I have a surprise for you. So be there . . . wait, on second thought, I’ll pick you up at four. Okay?”

“Ummm...OK.”

“Ok, Bye …and ‘Mione?”

“Yes, Ron?”

“I love you.”

“I. . .I love you too.”

And Ron hung up. Hermione could not hold it in her anymore and she cried. She cried hard for the second time in a week.
~*~
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=20644