Power The Dark Lord Knows Not by PatronyBologna
Summary: Post OotP:





His vision blurred by blood and the lack of glasses he willed himself to his desk grabbing for his quill, ink, and parchment. Unable to stand, he slumped back down to the floor. Hands shaking wildly, he managed to write one word.


The wait is over...


“You know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.” Ron turned the page for Hermione and scanned the list of cruel and unusual jinxes and spells that he thought were a shoo-in for an unforgivable.


~Patrony :)<

Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 128076 Read: 69118 Published: 04/28/05 Updated: 09/20/06

1. Of Dreams Or Visions by PatronyBologna

2. Puzzled Pieces by PatronyBologna

3. Minders Keeper by PatronyBologna

4. Buried At The Burrow by PatronyBologna

5. Birthdays And Bedlam by PatronyBologna

6. Marked by PatronyBologna

7. Two Days Down & To The Right by PatronyBologna

8. Arrogance & Ignorance by PatronyBologna

9. Fly by PatronyBologna

10. Good News, Bad News by PatronyBologna

11. Slightly Different by PatronyBologna

12. In The Eye Of The Storm by PatronyBologna

13. Awakenings by PatronyBologna

14. Shades Of Black by PatronyBologna

15. Back In The Thick Of It by PatronyBologna

16. The Unhappy, Happy Christmas by PatronyBologna

17. Dishes by PatronyBologna

18. When It Comes Right Down To It by PatronyBologna

19. Write And Wrong by PatronyBologna

20. Eleven Fifty-Seven by PatronyBologna

21. Seeds by PatronyBologna

22. Mind Your P's and Q's by PatronyBologna

Of Dreams Or Visions by PatronyBologna
Disclaimer: I do not own or profit Harry Potter or anything related to his world. It all belongs to Ms. JK Rowling, of whom I am grateful that she has shared this wonderful story will all of us.


A/N: Thanks to Bogus and her divine patience with me. First FanFic ever. I have left the comforts of Lurkerdom and am enjoying the adventure. I hope you like it, enjoy.


Chapter 1
Of Dreams or Visions



A warm summer breeze rustled the curtains; the sky above Privet drive was a shade of deep black except for pinpricked stars. To the east, the darkness gave way to the impending light of day. But in the Wizarding world, darkness was growing. It had been three weeks since he fell into Voldemorts trap, dragging his friends into a battle that was not theirs to fight leaving them lasting scars of their own. Three weeks since his godfather had died and another person he loved ripped away. Three weeks of knowing that the Wizarding world as he knew it rested squarely on his shoulders. Three weeks of tormented sleep only reliquenshing the battle when exhaustion spread through him like wildfire.

"NO, NO! I won't let you!" Harry screamed in his bed. He was thrashing about as if in a life and death struggle.

"Move away you silly little girl," hissed a voice Harry knew all too well. It was Voldemort, he had heard this thousands of times but had never seen it before. He knew what was coming next, or a least he thought he did.

"Haa...rrr...yyyyy, help me..."

A cold sweat pierced him and blood ran into his eyes as they flashed opened. Harry had found himself lying on a cold wooden floor. Desperately he struggled out of his tangled bedclothes trying to regain his composure and make sense of his surroundings. His vision blurred by blood and the lack of glasses he willed himself to his desk grabbing for his quill, ink, and parchment. Unable to stand, he slumped back down to the floor. Hands shaking wildly, he managed to write one word. Quickly he rolled it up, smearing blood and ink across the page. Instinctively his snowy owl, which had witnessed the scene before her, swooped to the floor and took the parchment into her beak. "You know what to do..." Harry managed to whisper before the darkness engulfed him once more.

......................................................................



A warm feeling started to spread over him, gently he opened his eyes not sure of what he would find. A large red mass was leaning closely above him.

"Fawkes?" his said. Struggling to lift his arm out to reach him. Sure enough, he felt the soft coat of feathers between his fingers. It took a moment before the phoenix tears took their full effect and when they did Harry hoisted himself off the blood-splattered floor and walked over to sit on his bed. Fawkes had followed, perched on what remained of his nightstand and was looking at him quizzically.

"I'm okay, thank-you Fawkes, what about," the words falling from his mouth as though he wasn't speaking them. Holding out his leg, Fawkes started to softly sing. This made Harry feel reassured, calming him even more. He took the parchment and read Monday, 9a.m..

A flash of anger flared into his eyes. "How could he!" Harry snarled as he snapped his head around on Fawkes.

The phoenix just looked at him as if to say "You know why, Harry," and continued to quietly sing his song.

Feeling the anger towards his Headmaster ebb away, he sank back into his bed trying to figure out the nightmare, the vision, he had. Another teardrop had fallen from Fawkes and he was compelled into a deep, thoughtless sleep.


................................................................................


It was a new day, born bright and beautiful. The warmth of the sun carried on the morning breeze. Despite such beauty, Harry was still lost in his thoughts as he lay in bed. It would be another five days before Harry could leave the miserable confines of the Dursleys and seek out the one thing on his mind. Fawkes had left shortly after he awoke, the last contact he would have with the wizarding world, the world in which he felt at home.

The door had slowly creaked open. Four long, thin and pale bony fingers curled around the edge of the door and his horse-faced aunt peeked in. They made eye contact, but no words left her lips.

"Monday morning at 9 o'clock." Harry answered her unspoken question, "I'm alright." He added off-hand, just in case she cared. Giving a slight nod, her face slipped between the crack, fingers uncurled, and the door creaked shut. That was the most care that Aunt Petunia had ever shown.

Deciding that a trip to the loo was well in order, Harry pushed off his bed. He grabbed some fresh clothes from the dresser and then gazed into the hanging mirror above caught off guard at what was looking back at him.

At least I look as bad as I feel, Harry thought to himself. The black mop that topped off his head was, if you could imagine, the messiest he's even seen. His face was paler than usual and contrasted greatly with the dark crimson streaks of dried blood, the source of which must have been on his forehead but was now healed thanks to Fawkes. His glasses sat a little crooked on his face due to the fact that in his battle with the nightstand they were sitting on, the glasses had been chucked across the room. Beyond that, his green eyes...his mother’s eyes were bloodshot and tired. Above, the mark left by the Dark Lord was twinge with red.

After a shower, he stumbled down to the kitchen. Uncle Vernon and Dudley were no where to be seen. Guessing that they had all heard the ruckus the night before the kitchen was empty except for Aunt Petunia. Harry sat down at the table, already set with a plate she prepared for him, which Harry was taken aback wondering if it might have been poisoned.

Petunia didn't say anything, she just continued to clean her already surgically clean kitchen. Harry knew that it was busy work, said 'thank-you' and tucked in. He wasn't really hungry, but after not eating much for the past three weeks he knew his energy was drained. He would need all the strength he could get before Monday, strength he needed not for himself. He finished, handed the plate to his aunt who blinked in acceptance, and slumped upstairs to his room.

Alone in his deep thoughts the days seemed to pass quickly. Harry was no longer dwelling on the painful loss of his godfather, although still raw and painful, he had more pressing matters at hand. He was finding his mettle, devising a plan, determined to bring her back.


...........................................................................



It was finally Monday morning and judging by the gradient orange hues in the dark blue sky, it was still early. Harry dressed as quickly as possible hoping that if he moved faster so would the time. Much to his chagrin this did not work so he sat on his trunk facing the door and waited. Hunched over with his elbows propped on his knees, his hands were free to fidget in the space below, he was lost in thought. The realization about where he was headed and what kind of situation he would be entering struck him. Would I be heading back to Grimmauld Place, the Burrow, or somewhere else? Will she be there? Is she all right? Ron and Hermione....would they be there too? What do I tell them? What will I tell Dumbledore?

Before he knew it, there was a knock on the door. “Harry, it’s Lupin. we’re here to take you back if you’re ready.” His voice was full of concern. Harry was isolated over the past five days since his nightmare, his vision. Nobody was sure of his present state of mind or even the events of what happened here.

“What’s the phrase?”

Remus had a questioning look on his face, “Phrase?”

“Oh, nothing,” Harry turned and it looked like he was checking his trunk but he decretely reached for his wand.”

And then a light went off, “Oh,” Remus laughed. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good. You caught me off guard. Moody would have my head, don’t say anthing?”

“I won’t, I promise. I’m ready, let's just get out of here.” Harry answered as he opened the door.

His former professor, mentor, marauder and current Order member and friend was standing in the doorway and embracing him in a hug. That was just what Harry needed. Lupin was the last of his fathers’ friends and next likely guardian for Harry. Painful as it was not having Sirius around, he was grateful for Lupin.

“Alright then... shall we get a move on?” he said as they parted and then with a laugh and a wink he added, “Moody is visiting with your uncle downstairs.”

Harry smiled, another first.


..................................................................................



Stumbling out of the effects of a portkey, a bent over Harry looked up to see the bottom halves of people gathered around him. But before he could fully straighten himself up, a whirl of red and the motherly voice of Molly Weasley attacked him.

“Good to see you Harry, dear…we’re glad to have you back.”

“Thank-you Mrs. Weasley, I’m glad to be back too.”

As always, Harry was amazed at how much he has grown to love and appreciate her. She was the closest thing to a mother he had ever had.

As soon as Mrs. Weasley released him, a head full of bushy brown hair and Hermiones’ voice surrounded him. “Oh Harry... we’re glad your okay” she said with a sniff.

Looking up now he saw his best mate Ron who moved towards him to give him a one armed hug. Apparently Hermione had not let go yet.

“Glad your back mate.” They had made eye contact and understood that there were things to be discussed.

“Come on Hermione, there’s other people that want to say hi, too.” Ron said with a nervous laugh while taking her arm and guiding her back to the crowd of people.

Harry could finally look around the room. He was at Grimmauld Place and the welcoming party, although subdued was large. On his right were the Weasley twins, Fred and George, who held their hands out to shake. For a moment Harry was hesitant knowing what pranksters they are. Next to them, Bill the oldest and coolest looking Weasley brother. After shaking his hand too, Harry moved down the line. This time it was Mr. Weasley himself. He took Harry’s hand and pulled him into a brief yet strong hug. Then parted with a nod. Tonks smiled and wiggled her nose in a way only she could.

“Hey, Tonks,” Harry noticed her.

Kingsley, Mundungus, and Professor Snape stood behind them, all nodded in recognition. Snape seem to convey anything but a warm greeting but was there none the less. He was followed just to the right by Professor McGonagall who smiled sternly but that was just the way she was. And by her side was Professor Dumbledore. He nodded and slowly blinked that he was glad to see him.

He scanned the room once more, panic starting to set in. Harry glanced back to Dumbledore just as he stepped aside to reveal what he had been looking for. Without a thought he walked through the group and made his way across the room to a settee against the wall where a red-haired girl sat.

Ginny was looking at the floor, hands in her lap with sheets of hair fallen around her face. She didn’t move as he drew closer. Harry slowed his approach and crouched down in front of her, sitting on his heels. Ginny did not look up, but a tear was burning a trail down her face.

“Hi Ginny,” Harry whispered. He looked at her with deep compassion, studying her expressionless face.

Slowly Ginny stood up and without so much as a word or a glance, turned and went upstairs. Harry was suddenly aware of all the eyes now watching him. Feeling responsible for her grief and fighting back tears himself, he eased up to stand still facing the wall, trying to get a grip on his emotions.

“Well, let’s get your things up to our room, mate.” Ron had come over and put his hand on his shoulder.

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Harry mumbled, grateful for the timely and much needed diversion from his friend.

By the time he had turned around the crowd was starting to dissipate. On queue, Fred and George walked up with his trunk and cage.

“Let’s go get you settled in now,” said George.

And Fred chimed in, “We assume you’ll be bunking with Ron.”

With Ron by his side, the three Weasleys and Harry slumped up the stairs.

They made their way into the room on the third floor. The twins put Harry’s trunk on the floor at the foot of his bed and placed Hedwigs cage on a dresser directly across. Silently they left the room leaving Ron and Harry to themselves.

The room was larger than Ron’s at the Burrow, but was plain. The wallpaper was brown and peeling, it’s velvet fuzzed fleur de lis pattern had been worn off in patches. Dark wood floors shone from a recent scrubbing with an oval braided rug lied between the beds. A good-sized window broke up the wall, thick chocolate brown velvet curtains framed it in. Nightstands were on the side of the beds closest to the inside walls. Two dressers were directly across the room, a fireplace with a large carved mantel and matching framed mirror above, separated them and to the far right, the door. The two sat on their own beds, both thinking in the lingering silence.

Hesitantly, Ron muttered, “Do you want to talk?” not sure of the response he would get. Harry had been known to snap if pushed too far. Judging on what happened a few weeks ago, he half expected to be hexed.

“No...erm...I just want to lie here awhile, if that’s okay?”

“Sure, no problem,” Ron answered in a tone of understanding and confidence. He slowly got up and started to leave the room.

“Thanks Ron.”

“I’ll be down stairs if you need me.” And the door shut.

With some of his worries relieved, Ginny seemed to be physically unharmed, he needed to refocus, to reevaluate. But being in this house was harder than he thought it was going to be and took the moment to adjust.

.......................................................................................


Harry woke a few hours later to the sound of a knock at the door.

“Harry?.....Ron and I brought you some lunch, can we come in?” It was Hermione.

“Yeah, sure” he called back as he wiped away any trace of a tearful slumber then propped himself up against the headboard.

“We thought you’d be hungry... so we brought you up some ham sandwiches and a glass of pumpkin juice.” as she and Ron slid in the door.

“Oh, thanks. I guess I am kind of hungry, forgot to eat this morning.” Still trying to sound as normal as possible.

“Harry, is there anything we can help you with?” said Hermione as she took a seat next to Ron after setting the plate on Harry’s bed and handing him the cup.

“We want to help, mate... even if it’s just to listen,” he trailed off, “but only when your ready.”

The only sounds were of Harry biting into his sandwich and taking a sip of pumpkin juice and after each one he reflected on how he should proceed, his priorities now straight. Ron and Hermione had been through most of the toughest times he ever had. He was thankful they were here again.

“Well, I want to start out by saying how sorry I am I got you into the mess at the Ministry... I know you both wanted to be there for me and I appreciate that.” Uncharacteristically his two friends kept quiet. Harry took another sip, a deep breath and continued on.

“I can’t tell you what I know right now,” thinking about the prophecy, “but I need to know what happened here, to Ginny.” Finally looking up at them.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other as if to confirm a plan on how they were going to say it. Ron started first.

“Ginny’s been having a lot of nightmares since we left Hogwarts. We stayed at the Burrow first off. I could hear her talking at night and tossing in her bed whenever I walked past her room. She’s been really quiet and not herself.” But then again a lot of us are not like ourselves lately, he thought while shuffling in his seat. “We left for Grimmauld Place after a week; Mum and Dad have been busy with Order business so it’s just easier to stay here.”

“I got here Wednesday afternoon, my parents are really busy, too and I wanted to be with everyone here,” Hermione began. “With Voldemort mad about the prophecy and a few Death Eaters in Azkaban, I just worry that being with my muggle family might endanger them, especially since they know I was at the Ministry.” glancing away from Harry as she said this.

Steeling herself up again she got back on track. “Anyway, Ginny and I talked a bit but like Ron said she’s not her usual ‘happy-to-hex-you’ self. We chatted a bit after dinner then she went to bed. Later, when I went up for the night, she appeared to be sleeping soundly.”

Hermione let out a great sigh, Ron gently took her hand in his to help steady her resolve then she drew a deep breath and continued on. “Sometime in the early morning hours, she started talking incoherently and tossing in her sleep. It got more frequent and stronger over the next hour until she started to really scare me.”

Harry was hanging on to every word she spoke, one of his worst fears was coming to light. Trying not to look too concerned, he gave them a nod of understanding.

“It’s okay Hermione, I can take it from here.” Ron whispered as Hermione was visibly upset and shaken at the memory.

“She tried to wake her, but couldn’t. Not knowing what to do or who was here, she came to me. We rushed in just as Ginny started screaming and kicking. I tried to grab her, to calm her down, but she was too violent,” he said as his free hand gently rubbed the side of his head.

“It looked like she was fighting with someone, but no one was there. I sent Hermione downstairs to find someone to help, she came back with Mum who had heard the screaming and was already making her way upstairs. Mum just stood there for a second, not sure what she should do either. I suppose she was going to get Dad when she started for the door but then Dumbledore appeared in the doorway and walked over to Ginny. He said he already knew before mum could say anything, then he watched Ginny for a moment, then did some sort of spell to calm her down.”

After sizing up Harry’s expression upon learning all of this, he decided it was safe enough to continue on with what he thought was the most disturbing revelation. “She was screaming for you, Harry.”

Harry looked into their faces and replied very solemnly “I know.”

After a moment of silence, all three consumed with the implications of what had been said, Hermione broke in, “But what about your occlumency lessons. I thought you were shutting your mind to Voldemort?”

“I did, at least I thought I did.” Harry stood up from the bed and began to pace around the room, looking at the floor, fingers locked behind his back. “I thought that it was me who was doing all the dreaming. But last Wednesday it was different. It was an oddly familiar dream, but I knew I never had it before.” he shook his head and sighed. “I could hear Voldemort, he was laughing and toying with a woman who had long red hair. I wanted to get to her, to help her, she was screaming for me. At first I thought it was my mum.”

Harry had stopped in the middle of the room, turned slightly and looked up at Ron, “It was Ginny.”

Digesting what Harry had just revealed, Ron swallowed hard and thinking out loud said, “So that’s how Dumbledore knew to come to Ginny, you told him.”

“It was the only thing I could do.” Harry exhaled in an air mixed with helplessness and guilt at not being able to do more. He moved back over to his bed and sat across from his two best friends. Wanting to turn the subject back to Ginny he asked, “So what happened after Dumbledore calmed her down?”

“Well...” Ron sighed while gathering his thoughts, “Dumbledore watched her for a few minutes, told Mum that she would be alright and that he’d fancy a cup of tea, then he turned and left. I just sat with Hermione on her bed watching Ginny for awhile, then Mum said it was time leave her alone and went downstairs to ‘have tea’ with Dumbledore.” Ron drew another breath but before he could continue, Hermione joined in.

“I asked Ron to stay with me a little longer, just in case Ginny started up again. She never woke up really.... I must have fallen asleep....” Hermione continued, “the next thing I know it’s morning and Ginny was already up.”

“I heard her coming down for breakfast, so I followed her. She seemed to be okay, just really sad, I dunno if she even knows what happened.” Trying to think of any other details, Rod added, “She stays in her room a lot, says she’s tired but whenever Hermione goes and checks on her, she’s awake. She’ll talk to people just fine, but seems distant.”

Looking back at Harry, he said as casually as possible, “Do you think Voldemort has been possessing her again?”

Chewing on the inside of his lip, Harry shrugged and said, “I don’t know?”
Puzzled Pieces by PatronyBologna
As always, I do not own Harry Potter or anything related to his world.


Puzzled Pieces
Chapter 2


Mrs. Weasley, however busy she was with the Order, didn’t seem to miss a beat when it came to dinner. Hermione and Ginny were setting the long wooden table in the kitchen and Harry and Ron were tasked to gather up the chairs from the parlor where a previous Order meeting was held. Whenever Harry had entered the room, arms woven through the backs of the heavy wooden chairs he was carrying, chanced a look at Ginny. He wanted to talk with her but she had been avoiding him over the last few days since his arrival.

While positioning the chairs around the table, Harry saw that Ginny was laying utensils at each place setting and was moving towards him apparently unaware that she was getting closer to where he stood. Trying to muster up enough nerve, he slid in the chair in front of him just as she reached the next setting.

“Hi Ginny” he whispered, afraid that if he said it any louder she might burst into tears. Harry noticed that he seemed to have that effect on her lately.

“Hi Harry, I “er...” Ginny trailed off as if debating on whether or not she should say anything more as she continued to move to the next setting, sidestepping around Harry.

Not wanting to push her but at the same time longing to be in her presence, he said the first thing that came to him hoping that he didn’t sound too stupid.

"Want to play again of Exploding Snap after dinner?”

“Oh, alright. I’d like to.” She said softly and made her way around the rest of the table.

Harry looked towards Ron and Hermione at the far end of the kitchen, both looked encouragingly at him. They both knew how important it was for Harry to talk with Ginny.


..................................................................



In the parlor, Ron and Hermione sat at a small table near the front door. They looked like they were involved in a deep discussion as they studied the contents of Hermione’s large books. Harry thought that they were doing this for his benefit, to give him a little more privacy with Ginny who was still in the kitchen with her mother.

Tonks came in from the front door and struck up a conversation with Hermione and Ron about the books they were reading. When Tonks had finished hanging up her cloak and kicked the troll-leg umbrella stand just for good measure, she said good-bye and left for the kitchen.

Harry was lying belly-down on the floor, propped up on his left side facing the hearth where a warm fire crackled. He was lazily stacking the cards while waiting for Ginny.

Finally the door swung open and there stood Ginny. She looked around the room then turned to Ron and Hermione and asked, “Where’s Harry?” Apparently he was blocked from her view, a squashy purple couch between them.

Popping up off the floor in one smooth motion, he smiled slightly and said, “I’m over here by the fire.” trying not to sound too eager.

Ginny walked over and lay down across from Harry, elbows on the floor and cradling her head in her hands. She didn’t look at him but he was definitely looking at her. Ginny’s hair caught the firelight and lit into a hundred different shades of deep red as it flowed over her back and shoulders.

Catching himself, he said “So... what have you been up to?” Harry was now hap-hazardly adding another card to his stack. He was much more interested in her answer than whether or not his flimsy card structure would survive.

“Nothing really...” She said as she finally looked up at him, “I’ve been helping mum out whenever I can.”

“Yeah, everyone seems to be running in and out of this place, I suppose things have gotten...erm…busier.” ‘What a dumb thing to say, Harry’ he thought.

Trudging on, he added tentatively while looking directly in her eyes, “So how are you feeling? You seem a bit tired?”

Unable to stop himself before the words just fell out, “I’ve been worried about you, Gin?”

Surprised by his own daring, he remained silent to let her make the next move then quickly looked away while adding yet another card to the dangerously leaning stack.

“I..., I’ve been tired...yes.” She answered softly.

Ginny was now nervously twirling a lock of hair near her temple. She rolled over on to her side and looked into the fire. Harry could tell that she was battling with herself. It occurred to him that maybe she was unaware of what happened, at least on his side of things. In fact, he didn’t even know if she was aware that there even was a dream.

In an almost inaudible whisper Harry asked, “Is there anything I can do?”

“No, I don’t think so.” Ginny was shaking her head slightly.

After a long pause, Ginny was now getting up off the floor. In an effort to keep her with him, he offered her a seat on the squashy couch. Reluctantly she agreed. Ginny sat on the far end and curled inside the crook where the arm and back fused together. Her head lay softly on the arm. It reminded him of last winter when they were all waiting for news of Mr. Weasley.

Wanting to make her feel as comfortable as possible, he went over to the halltree, opened the lid and pulled out a soft wool blanket. Harry then wrapped it around Ginny’s shoulders, making sure it covered her completely except for her head. He smiled gently when he heard a faint ‘thank-you Harry’ before sliding a worn out wing-backed chair to face the couch, angled slightly against the fireplace.

Hermione glanced at Harry who was studying the position of the chair he’d just moved, then back to Ron, and then her watch.

“Ron, I’m going to turn in, it’s getting late.”

“Hermione, it’s not like we have anything to get up early for- Ow!” Ron glared at Hermione until the clogs inside his head caught up with the situation and the expression on her face.

“Oh, yeah, you’re right. Uh, I’ll walk you to your room.” Then looking up at Harry, “See you in a bit.”

Ron took the books out of Hermione’s hands, helped her out of her chair, and with his arm around hers, they climbed the staircase.

“Yeah, I’ll be up later... Goodnight.” Harry said as he slipped into repositioned chair as they walked out of sight.

He continued to watch Ginny intently. She was staring at the dancing flames. Harry saw the reflections in her eyes, daring to know what was behind them. It only intensified the unexplained longing he had for her. Remembering the way she was screaming for him, the sheer magnitude of all these feelings he couldn’t explain, a willing, life-sacrificing desire to get to her. The need to bring her back.

“Harry?”

Harry didn’t know what time it was, the fire had been reduced to a small pile of glowing embers. He could still hear voices in the kitchen and other things going on inside the house. He decided that Grimmauld Place never slept. People passed the parlor coming and going through out the small hours of the morning, nobody seemed to notice that he and Ginny were there. Occasionally, Harry looked away from the now sleeping Ginny to see who it was crossing the hall, but never gazed at them long before returning his sight and mind to her.

Mrs. Weasley exited the kitchen with a sigh of pure exhaustion. She walked to the staircase but before taking that first step, she turned with a puzzled look on her face and then silently made her way towards Harry.

In a quiet whisper she spoke, “Harry dear, it’s late. What are you …” But before she could finish her sentence, Mrs. Weasley saw what Harry had been watching so intently.

“Have you been awake all this time?”

He nodded, afraid of what to say. Was she upset with him, would she be displeased that he had been with her daughter “alone, all this time?

“How long has she been asleep?” Mrs. Weasley asked now gazing at her daughter.

“Hours I suppose, I’ve lost track of time.”

“She’ll be fine dear, why don’t you go up to bed?”

Harry found himself suddenly glaring at Mrs. Weasley. “I just wanted to make sure she slept well. I didn’t want her to...” He stopped before he revealed too much.

“But you need your sleep too, Harry. Ginny will be all right. We’ll leave her here and not disturb her.” Mrs. Weasley said, trying to coax Harry into much needed rest.

Weighing the consequences of what he was about to say, he straightened himself up and looked directly into Mrs. Weasleys eyes.

“I want to stay with her- I need to stay with her. Please, I won’t leave her.”

Feeling like he just slapped the woman he felt so much motherly regard for, ashamed that he was so adamant when there was nothing accusatory about her presence, he looked back down at Ginny and tried to contain the flush in his face and the swelling of tears.

Mrs. Weasley stood there for a moment. He could hear her sigh. Without looking up, Harry heard her cross the room. She quietly walked back to Harry, put a hand on his shoulder, bending slightly towards him as she handed him the blanket.

Catching his eyes now full of tears she said, “I understand Harry, I’m not mad.”
Then she returned to the staircase and disappeared into the darkness.

Harry was left with his silent tears, his heart filled with emotion. Somewhere between trying to identify, understand, and accept exactly what his feelings were, Harry too, fell asleep.


..................................................................




“Harry - Harry? Are you okay?” It was Ron.

Harry opened his eyes, pushed his glasses back on his face and looked at Ron. “What time is it?” Seeing a small amount of daylight bleed through the curtains.

“It’s 6:30... I woke up early and saw that you never came to bed. So I thought I’d check up on you. You’ve been with her all night, haven’t you?” He said with a light nod in the direction where Ginny was still curled up on the couch.

“Yeah, your mum tried to get me to leave, but decided to let me stay.”

At this Harry felt a twang of disappointment in himself, remembering how kind she was and how he stood his ground when he need not defend it.

“Come on, Hermione will be down soon, we’ll look after Ginny. Besides, you can’t stay awake all day too.”

Considering his offer and the fact that Ginny was starting to get restless- along with the rest of the house. Harry finally agreed with Ron’s logic, stood up and took a final look at Ginny, then slowly walked up to bed.

“Just a few hours though, Ron. Don’t let me sleep too long.”

“I will, just get some sleep.” Ron was now sitting in the chair that Harry had just occupied. Knowing that it was the only way he got his best mate to leave his little sisters side.


An hour later, Grimmauld Place was a buzzing hive of activity. Ginny woke to find Ron sitting next to her.

“Have I been here all night?” She said while rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

“You sure have. Harry just left.” He studied her face, looking to see how she would react at the knowledge.

“Where is he now?” A sudden look of concern flashed across her face.

“I just sent him up to bed. Don’t worry, he’s okay.” His brotherly instincts kicking in, he was making sure she stayed calm. He knew Harry had made some headway into breaking her out of her current disposition.

“Hey you two, good morning.” It was Hermione. “Sleep well?” She said looking from Ginny to Ron.

“Good thanks, and you?” Ron said with a slight smile.

“Never better.” Hermione then turned her attention to Ginny who was growing suspicious of their morning banter. “So, what’s on schedule for today?”

“Hermione, we don’t have a schedule,” smirked Ron.

“Well, I just thought maybe we’d do something together, whatever Ginny wanted to do.” Hermione was trying to get Ginny involved.

“Um, well. I thought I’d give Mum a break today and try to cook.” She said while struggling to pull herself out of the couch. She had nestled in a nice size hallow in-between the cushions.

“Well I can’t cook!” Ron started, he knew what he was about to say would get Hermione’s heckles up. “That’s woman’s work!”

“Ronald Weasley!”

He grimaced in a slightly playful- almost pleasurable way at the thought of what Hermione was going to say next.

“Just for that, you get all the dishes. Honestly, woman’s work! I suppose you could throw house elves in there too! Don’t think I’ll slave away for you without any pay or respect!”

“Oh...” turning to see if Ginny was out of earshot, then rounding back on Hermione, with a mischievous smile spread across his face. “I’ll pay you alright, but will you still respect me!”

Ginny turned to look at both of them as she was halfway up the steps, “I’m going to freshen up a bit...you two can start on breakfast...”

Then with a smirk that had been missing since the ride home on the Hogwarts Express added,

“And I don’t want you to pay me either, Ronald!” shooting him a look that said ‘I know what you two have been up to’.

Feeling his face go Weasley red, Ron turned to Hermione and the two broke out in smiles.

“I guess she feels a little better. Maybe whatever Harry did last night is working.” Then Ron leaned over and pinched a kiss from Hermione’s cheek.

“Come on, lets get started before the night watch comes in. Meanwhile you can think of how you’re going to pay me.” Hermione said as she pushed him through the kitchen door.

......................................................


Contemplating the knowledge that Harry had been by her side throughout the night, Ginny found herself standing outside of his room. She stood there for a moment, unaware that she was holding her breath. Before she could think the better of it, she turned the knob and let herself in.

In an effort stop any noise of alerting Harry of an intruder, Ginny lifted the sagging door by handle and closed it silently behind her. On the bed to the left, she saw Harry’s crumpled figure on top of the made bed. His glasses were still on his face and the clothes he wore yesterday on his back.

Ginny crossed the room in a wisp and rested herself with a steady shift of her weight onto his bed, centered in the gap that his slightly arched body had made. Without thinking about the consequences of what she was doing, Ginny took her hand and swept it so gently across over his forehead that it could have been but a breeze. Still deep in slumber, Harry didn’t move.

“Thank-you Harry” she breathed as she rested her lips on his cheek.

Ginny sat watching him while he slept. Her gaze was just as strong, just as powerful as Harry’s had been on her the night before.

Suddenly, Harry’s eyes flashed open, they instantly connected and focused with hers. Ginny gasped as she slid off his bed landing with a soft thud on the floor.

“Ginny, wait,” Harry exhaled as he sat up.

Embarrassed at what she had just been caught doing, Ginny continued to look at the floor as she stood up, turned around and darted from the room before Harry could utter another word.


.........................................................



Harry, Hermione, and Ginny were gathered around the kitchen table while Mrs. Weasley served a late lunch. It had been a couple of days since the incident between Harry and Ginny and both were pretending that nothing had happened. Ginny seemed to be better. She was acting more like herself and was willing to casually chat with Harry.

“Where’s Ron?” Harry asked Mrs. Weasley between swallows of pudding. Rarely did Ron miss a meal, especially if it contained puddings.

“He’ll be here in a minute dear.” She said as she started clearing the table.

Ginny rose from her seat and began to help her mother. Hermione on the other hand glanced Harry’s way. He got the feeling that there was something she wanted to tell, but changed her mind and decided not to.

A few moments later, Ron walked through the door.

“Hey...” he said to Harry as he put his hand on Harry’s shoulders, “Dumbledore wants a word with you. He’s in the library.”

Harry pushed out from the table and got up.

“Yeah, thanks... I’ve wanted a word with him, too.”

He shot a look Ron and Hermione, telling them that they knew what was on his mind.


......................................................


Not sure if he should just walk in, Harry knocked and asked, “Um... Professor, can I come in?”

“Of course.” Dumbledore replied as Harry opened the door.

“Have a seat Harry, we have much to discuss.” Dumbledore motioned to the pair of chairs by the fireplace.

As Harry walked into the room, he noticed that it looked somewhat like his office at Hogwarts. Walls lined with books, reading tables smattered with low burning candles and maps pinned down here and there. On the secretary, Harry noticed a few of the silvery instruments he recognized from Dumbledore’s office. One of which was a pensive.

Not sure of what his Headmaster had to say, Harry sat and concentrated on his fingernails as his hands rested in his lap.

Dumbledore, dressed in gray robes, took a seat next to Harry.

“Harry, I want you to know that I am concerned about you.” His voice was reminiscent of the night he told Harry of the prophecy, the night Sirius had died.

Now looking up into his Headmasters eyes, Harry nodded as he continued on.

“Thank you for alerting me to Miss Weasleys condition. If I had not been notified as quickly as I was, the results might have been unfavorable to both you and Miss. Weasley.”

Harry noticed that the toll of the new war against Voldemort had carved furrowed lines across his face. His eyes seemed to have all but lost their sparkle.

“Harry...” Dumbledore now spoke while gazing at his own hands. His fingers were locked together and palms open towards his chest.

“What exactly happened that night? I have my guesses, but I want to hear it from you.” As he finished his sentence, his gazed rested upon Harry.

“Well, I’ve been doing my Occlumency exercises like you said.” Harrys’ first thought was to not get blamed for letting Voldemort invade his mind again.

“I’ve been having dreams though, just replaying what happened in the Department of Mysteries, Voldemort possessing me, Sirius’ death and ... the night my parents died.” Harry took a deep breath, waiting for Dumbledore to say something, but he kept silent and looked directly into Harry’s eyes.

“I just thought I could figure things out better, maybe there’s something I missed before. I was looking for answers. I don’t know how I am to defeat Voldemort.” Harry swallowed hard while shaking his head slightly, the weight of the prophecy settling on his shoulders once again. Not wanting to dwell on the point, Harry continued on.

“Anyway, I thought I was reliving the moment when my mother died. But it was different... For one thing, I could see that I was in my body... the one I have now, I wasn’t a baby. I wanted so badly get the woman with long red hair. She was screaming my name. At first I thought it was my mum, but as she turned toward me, I saw that it was Ginny. Voldemort was torturing her... for the fun of it, he was taunting me.” Harry shuddered at the thought.

“Something was holding me back. I fought. I had to get to her but I was helpless, the harder I fought the tighter the hold it had over me.” Harry had to force out every word. Tears were now streaking his face. Every emotion he had felt that night was coming back. He had remembered feeling the same way as he watched his godfather fall silently through the veil. It was helplessness, it was fear, it was loss, and it was...

Dumbledore sat in silence, still looking at Harry. Oddly enough, this had a calming effect much like Fawkes had on him that night.

“The next thing I know, I was lying on the floor in heap, twisted up in the bedclothes and blood running down my face. I realized that I was still at the Dursleys. The only thing I could think of was Ginny, so I managed to write you before I blacked out. Then Fawkes woke me up and gave me your reply.”

Dumbledore nodded slightly as Harry finished his story. Before he could reply, Harry started in again.

“Ron told me what happened. How Ginny was screaming... How you came and spelled her to sleep... or something like that.” There was an eagerness for answers in Harry’s voice.

“I’ve had Fawkes keep an eye on you, Harry. I was alerted to your actions almost immediately. When Hedwig left, it was Fawkes who intercepted her and brought her instantly to me. Luckily I was on my way to Grimmauld Place, so when I read your note, I understood.”

Harry tried not to look surprised at the fact that his Headmaster had yet another pair of eyes to keep watch on him while he spent his time at Privet Drive.

“I have a few questions to ask of you, if you don’t mind Harry.”

Dumbledore now had a bit of the twinkle back in his eyes. Harry knew the answers he had been looking for were only a few questions away.

“What did Miss Weasley look like?”

“Well, she looked like Ginny.” He thought a bit harder, realizing the stupidity of what he just said.

Harry screwed up his face in concentration.

“She was wearing a black cloak and a...” The sound of Dumbledore chuckling slightly took him off guard.

“I’m not interested in what she was wearing, Harry,” glancing at him over his half-moon spectacles.

“Maybe she was a little older, I don’t know. I was more concerned with what was happening to her than what she looked like.” Harry said with a slightly irritated tone.

“And how did you feel when you saw her?” Dumbledore’s stare seemed to pass the bounds of ‘just looking’ and into penetrating.

Flabbergasted again by what he thought was an obvious answer he replied, “I needed to help her. I would have done anything to get to her.... I would have died to save her, to stop him... I “ I loved her.”

Shocked at what he had heard coming out of his own mouth, Harry leaned back into his chair, the words sinking further into his mind connecting with all the emotions that he struggled to identify.

A small smiled shone on Dumbledore’s face as he returned to contemplate his own hands, aware that the lingering silence meant that Harry was still sifting through his feelings.

Finally, Harry spoke again.

“So, what does it all mean? Is Voldemort making me see things again? Does he possess Ginny?”

Dumbledore got up and started to pace the room. Harry took that as a good sign. He was on the verge of getting answers. That is until he was hit with another round of questioning.

“What made you believe that Miss Weasley was in danger? Why did you alert me?”

“I told you, I saw it...” There was a hint of annoyance in his voice at the repeated questions.

“So you truly believed that she was being tortured by Voldemort, as you were dreaming it.” Dumbledore was still pacing the room.

“Well wasn’t she, I mean, when you found her she was upset, right?”

“Yes, indeed she was Harry. But there was no sign of Voldemort.”

A small wave of relief washed over Harry only to be ebbed away with another question.

“So why was she, who was making her...making her... have those nightmares?” Somehow after Harry asked, he wished he didn’t have to hear the answer.

“I believe that it was you.”

“Me? I would never want to hurt Ginny! That’s the last thing I would ever do.”

“I know that you would never intend to hurt anyone you love, Harry.” He had stopped in his place and looked directly at Harry as he said the last few words.

“But…but I....” Harry found himself at a loss for words.

“I think that it’s time I do most of the talking.” Dumbledore took his seat next to Harry before he continued on.

“Harry, you remember when you had the vision of Mr. Weasleys attack? The dreams of the Department of Mysteries, the visions of Sirius?”

Harry remained silent. Of course he remembered. He remembered all too well.

“That was Voldemort invading your mind. Think specifically at what you saw and how you saw it.”

Harry closed his eyes, concentrating on what his Headmaster had said.

“Now, remember how you saw Voldemort, how you saw yourself and more importantly how you saw Miss Weasley.”

“Do you see the difference?” Dumbledore was now studying Harry, waiting for him to put the puzzle pieces together.

“It...” Harry was speaking, but it was if another person was doing it for him. Another Harry who had his wits about him, who was in tune with the situation at hand.

“It wasn’t real, but it was. Is it the future?”

“Only time will tell, Harry. But what we must address now is the fact that Miss Weasley has been, willingly or not, invaded by you.”

“I didn’t invade her!” Harry flushed suddenly and felt like he was being accused of something- something very inappropriate.

“Whether you meant to or not Harry, you are the reason she was acting so violently. She was in your dreams. Your dreams were hers. She was, for all intensive purposes, being tortured by Voldemort and screaming for you. It was real to her and I imagine that it was real to you as well.”

Harry was quickly going over the dream yet again in his mind. This time his feelings made since. All but one.

“Miss Weasley is a very special witch, as I am sure that you have noticed.” Harry thought he saw a small wink as his Headmaster said this.

“I’ve...” gaining up his courage, “I’ve never had those thoughts about her before.” He knew that he wasn’t being completely honest with himself or Dumbledore. Harry’s mind jumped to a particular windswept witch.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, catching Harry in his momentary flashback.

“Miss Weasley is unaware that it was you who has been giving her the nightmares. It took a while to convince her that it was not Voldemort or the remnants of Tom Riddles diary. I believe that she is still unsure whether or not to believe me, thus her withdrawn behavior as of late. She does not know that you have suffered the same visions. Miss Weasley does, however, know that somehow you’re involved. She needs time, Harry. She needs your understanding, she needs your trust, and she needs to know that you’re there.”

Harry nodded in acceptance. He could give her what she needs... he had already started.

“As I have said before, Harry, your ability to feel the deepest emotions is what sets you apart. Use your strengths and use them wisely. Remember Harry, it is our choices that make us who we really are.” Dumbledore looked upon Harry with the most serious expression.

“So how do I not let myself in her mind? I don’t even know how I did it in the first place.” Harry broke his gaze with Dumbledore and returned to picking at his cuticles.

A smile flickered across Dumbledore’s face.

“Whether you meant to or not, you have already told me how you feel about Miss. Weasley. I think you need to understand it, accept or deny it, before you can control it. In the meantime, by helping her you will be helping yourself.”

Harry now had one question left. One he didn’t really want to ask but knew the consequence of not knowing would surely bring is dream, his vision, to fruition.

“How do I hide this from Voldemort?”

“We will continue with your Occlumency and strengthen your mind. Currently we believe that he has not sensed your connection to Miss Weasley. We know that he would use it to his advantage, the proof of which was in your love for Sirius. The Order is working hard to keep you protected Harry but as you now know, that protection cannot last. If we hear that you or your friends are in immediate danger, you will be alerted. As always, I have only your best interest at heart.”

Feeling that the conversation was now over, Harry smiled briefly at Dumbledore, got up and walked to the door. He reached for the handle when he had a favor to ask of his Headmaster, his protector.

“Can I take Ginny to the Burrow? Just for a week. I think it would help”

“I have kept Molly and Arthur informed of what has been happening to their daughter. I’m sure you can imagine their concern, as I’m sure you have noticed Mrs. Weasleys willingness to let you stay by her daughters’ side. Let me speak with them. We will need to make certain arrangements though, but it can be done if you wish.”

“Thank you, Professor.”


A/N: Thanks to my Beta/Mod Bogus and Beta Whizzbee, patience is a virture- thanks for displaying so much with me! Sorry about the delay everyone.
Minders Keeper by PatronyBologna
Minders Keeper
Chapter 3




Harry closed the door to the library after meeting with Professor Dumbledore. Stumbling slightly as his legs seemed to have walked to the kitchen on their own accord, he opened the door to see that dinner was ready and waiting, and so were his friends.



“Good, you’re just in time!” Mrs. Weasley was guiding him to an empty setting next to Ron and across from Ginny.



“Should I go and get the Professor?” Harry asked, realizing that Dumbledore was still here.



“Oh... No, that’s okay Harry. He said he wasn’t staying for dinner tonight.” Mrs. Weasley said as she piled Harry’s plate high with roasted potatoes and chipped beef.



“So, did you have a nice chat?” Ron said eyeing Harry.



“Uh-huh.” Harry didn’t want to divulge anything, at least not yet. He quickly tucked in so he wouldn’t have to say anything else.



“Good! I’m glad everything went well.” Hermione chimed in; at least she could take a hint.



Mr. Weasley arrived shortly after Harry and was happily greeted by his wife. Arthur was spending so much time away that Molly kept him to herself as long as possible, it was another sign the second war was well underway, families were being tested.



At the other end of the table, Harry, Ron, and Ginny were trying to keep the discussion light. They were arguing over the prospects of revamping the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Harry mentioned how good a Seeker Ginny had been in his absence and encouraged Ron to try for Keeper again.



With dinner finished, Ron and Harry got up and left the table leaving the girls to chat with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Harry thought it was the perfect time to discuss with Ron his earlier conversation with Dumbledore. As they climbed the stairs making their way up to the room, they continued to talk loudly about their Quidditch plans. It was a diversionary tactic, a feint if you will. Hermione would have to be informed later as she was keeping Ginny and her parents at bay so they wouldn’t be interrupted.



“Spill it Harry, what did he say?” Ron said as he sat leaning against his headboard, not looking at Harry.



Doing the same Harry replied lightly, “Well, it’s me. I’m the one torturing your sister.”



“What?!” Ron sat up and swung his legs to the edge of the bed. “You’re kidding, Voldemort is making you do it, right?”



“Nope,” Harry shook his head in disbelief himself, “It’s all me.”



“How? Why?” Ron was doing his best to keep his cool, Harry was his best mate and deep down he knew he wouldn’t hurt anyone he cared about, let alone his sister.



“I didn’t know that I was,” Harry sighed and mirrored Ron. “I didn’t mean to.”



“Okay, start from the beginning. Where’s Hermione when you need her? She would have figured it out already!”



Harry was slightly afraid that she would’ve figured it out a little too quickly given the revelation that it was his entire fault. Harry was glad it was just him and Ron.



“Ron, I’m just going to say it. Don’t stop me until I’m through. I think it will make more sense to the both of us if I just keep going. Okay?”



Ron leaned down on his knees as if preparing for a brisk scolding. He then gave a grunt of acceptance and Harry started.



He told Ron almost everything - that Fawkes has been keeping tabs on him for Dumbledore, how this dream had been different that the other visions that he’d had, how he unintentionally forced his dreams on Ginny.



Harry chose not to divulge the prophecy or the reason why it was Ginny on the receiving end of his dream, he had to work that one out himself. When he had finished there was a long pause. After five years of being best mates, Harry knew it would take a moment for Ron wrap around it.



“Well, that sums up a lot now, doesn’t it?” Ron lay back across his bed and sighed, “So, you’ve been in my little sister’s head, right?”



“Yeah, but I didn’t mean to do it. You’ve got to believe me.” His words were rushed, almost begging for forgiveness.



“I know that you have “er powers other wizards don’t have thanks to that scar on your head. Just try not to do it again. You gave us -her- a real scare. By the way, don’t dream that way about me!” Ron said with a chuckle, always trying to find the brighter spot of dark situations.



Harry nodded, afraid that if he opened his mouth he would say something that he’d regret.



“Don’t worry, Harry. I know that you wouldn’t hurt Ginny. Whatever Hermione says, I’m not that thick. I could see it in your eyes when you looked at her on the settee. I saw it again when you were questioning us about her. And it was even more evident the night you stayed by her side and I had to pry you away. If I had visions or dreams or whatever about Voldemort torturing my sister, I’d be worried too.”



Just then there was a tap at the door, it was Hermione with Ginny at her heels.



“So, are you boys finished with all things Quidditch? Ginny and I thought we’d do something together.”



“Yep, just finished up.” Ron said as he patted the space next to him and sat back up, “Harry said that I needed to practice up a bit and I’d be ready for the Chudley Cannons by this fall.”



Hermione settled in the empty spot next to Ron as he instructed and laughed, “Let’s just keep you with Gryffindor right now!”



Ron scoffed incredulously as Hermione swatted at his shoulder. They had started their own conversation.



Ginny, unsure of where her place was within the trio, sat on the end of Harry’s bed and played with a loose thread on the duvet.



“Hey, that reminds me,” Harry said as he was trying to clear the air of Ron and Hermione’s obvious affections. “Ginny, how would you like to go back to the Burrow?”



“What? I thought that we had to stay here, you know, for safety reasons.” Ginny’s voice fluctuated as she was trying not to get her hopes up.



“The Burrow, that’d be a nice change of scenery.” Ron’s attention left Hermione.



“Yep, I asked Dumbledore. It would only be for a week and he said that there were precautions that needed to be in place.”



“But Harry, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are busy here with Order business. They can’t take time out to chaperone us.” Hermione replied.



Harry fired back, waving his finger between them. “Maybe just you two need chaperones!”



No sooner had the words reached their ears and Ron and Hermione simultaneously flushed.



“We don’t need a chaperone Harry.” Ron’s voice had a hint of hurt in it. Harry looked down in an apology to his friends. He realized that it wasn’t the right thing to say.



“Ginny, would you like to go?” Harry asked as he turned to face her.



“Of course, but Mum and Dad would have a fit. You know them, they’ll think the Death Eaters and Voldemort himself would have us for dinner.”



“I know, but Dumbledore said that he’d talk with them. He seemed to think they’d okay it.” He tried to shed some hope for Ginny before he continued on. “Whatever happened to ‘anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve[1]’. We’ll be fine. I just thought we all could use the break before school starts up again.”



“Really Harry?” a grin broke across Ginny’s face.



“Really.”



Before he knew what was happening, Ginny had flung herself around his neck giving him a quick hug before running to the door. That was something she’d never done before and Harry decided that he quite liked it.



“Ginny wait!” Harry called after her.



“What?” She turned around so fast all Harry saw was a blur of her red hair.



“Ginny, Mum and Dad don’t know yet.” Ron replied, “So we need to keep it to ourselves.”



“Ron’s right, Ginny. We’d have a better chance of going if Dumbledore talks with your parents first.” Hermione said in agreement.



“Oh....” she walked back to sit on the end of Harry’s bed. “Did he say when we could go, Harry?”



“No, but I’m sure once the details are worked out he’ll ask your parents. I’m hoping to be there for my birthday.” A smile spread across his face, that would be a great birthday present.





..........................................................................











Over the next two days, the four of them helped Mrs. Weasley and any other Order members out as much as they could. It was a bit of brown-nosing before Dumbledore delivered the news. They were busy scrubbing the floor of a spare room upstairs when Lupin entered.



“Harry, could I have a word with you?” Lupin nudged his head towards the door and Harry followed suit.



“See you in a bit, don’t have too much fun without me!” Harry called over his shoulder.



“Yeah, we’ll save the extra-tough spots for you!” Ginny mumbled under her breath as she tossed a scrubbing brush at the closing door. All three had a good laugh.



Harry was waiting for Lupin at the bottom of the staircase. “So, what’s up?”



“Dumbledore and I need to talk with you about certain arrangements, Harry.”

Lupin said as he raised his eyebrows, letting Harry know exactly what he was talking about.



“Oh, is he in the library?” Harry started down the hall.



“Yes, along with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Fred and George.” Lupin reached out to stop Harry from moving further down the hall. “I wanted to speak with you privately first.”



Not sure of what was coming next, Harry agreed and they slipped into a nearby room.



When the door was shut, Lupin continued. “I want your permission Harry.”



“Why do you need my permission?” Harry was visibly confused.



“Are you familiar with the Fidelius Charm?”



“Yeah.” Harry’s face fell. “It was the charm that was supposed to protect my parents. The one Wormtail betrayed.” He was having a hard time keeping his anger hidden.



“Yes, I’m glad you remember. Do you recall what Sirius had said in the Shrieking Shack, when Wormtail’s betrayal was learned?”



Quickly Harry went through the scene of three years ago, when he met Sirius and thought he was the one responsible for murdering his parents.



“He said that he would have rather died than to betray his friends to Voldemort.” Harry had a lump in his throat.



“Yes Harry, as would I.” Lupin’s voice was grave. “Harry, Dumbledore has asked me to be the Secret-Keeper for your trip to the Burrow. I just wanted to ask you myself, between you and me, no pressure Harry.”



Harry thought for an instant and replied, “I know that you would never betray my parents or me.”



“Are you sure, Harry? This is very serious.”



Harry nodded yes. Suddenly the implications of his request to go to the Burrow seemed to hit him like a brick. This is serious, it was a risk.



“Alright then, thank-you Harry for trusting me. It means so much.” And with that Lupin lead him back out the door and down to the library.





Bill, Fred and George were huddled around a table looking at one of the maps. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were speaking with Dumbledore in front of the fireplace. Upon entering the room, they all looked up and greeted Harry.



“Good, you’re here. Remus, would you please go and get the others as well.” asked Dumbledore.



Lupin nodded and left the room again. He returned a minute later with Ron, Ginny, and Hermione.



“Please, let’s all have a seat.” Dumbledore stood up and magiked enough chairs for everyone.



Harry looked around the room, noticing each _expression. His friends looked hopeful, the twins and Bill looked excited to be involved in what they thought was Order business. Harry didn’t dare look and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, and both Dumbledore and Lupin wore expressions of calm apprehension.



Once everyone was settled, he began. “Harry, I have informed Mr. and Mrs. Weasley of your request. They have accepted as long as their terms are met.” Dumbledore glanced at Harry then back at the Weasleys.



“Professor Lupin, as your new guardian, has agreed to the terms and has been asked to participate. You have been made aware of the arrangements I presume?”



Harry nodded.



“Then, let’s get started.” Dumbledore cleared his throat. “I will be performing the Fidelius Charm on Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley, Miss Granger and Mr. Ronald Weasley. At Harry’s request, they will be returning to the Burrow for one week.”



Bill, Fred and George’s eyes popped and their jaws dropped on the floor. It was obvious that they had no idea of why they were here, but knew they needed to keep silent.



“No one will be able to see the four of you there, except of course for the Weasleys that are in this room, myself and the Secret-Keeper, Remus Lupin. It is up to the Weasley family to check in on all of you. If the Burrow is being watched, it would seem perfectly normal to have its inhabitants coming and going from the residence.”



“You will be checked up on a regular basis and a Minder will be staying overnight. Everyday Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss Granger will be brought back here for two hours. They will be accompanied by one of us here during their travels.”



“There will be rules. You are not to leave the grounds of the Burrow, there will be no use of magic by the four of you. You will answer any questions asked by your Minders.” With a smirk Dumbledore added, “That includes Misters Fred and George Weasley.”



Christmas had come early for the Weasley twins.



“With the charm talents of myself and Mr. Bill Weasley and the unorthodox brand of magic provided by the twins, I believe that you will be safe from those who want to harm you.”



“Do any of you have any questions?” asked Dumbledore while surveying the people around him.



There was a moment of silence until Hermione raised her hand, it seemed like the natural thing to do.



“Do my parents know, Professor?”



“Yes, I asked them yesterday and they too agreed with the arrangements.”



“Is there anything else?” Dumbledore asked again.



This time it was Ginny who spoke up.



“Um, Professor, why have you agreed to this if it’s dangerous for us to be away?” her voice was a whisper.



“I believe that Mr. Potter is right, you all deserve to have happier times together before the new school year. We are in times of growing darkness as the four of you learnt first hand just a month ago. It is important to nurture your friendships. There may be a time when the friendship that each of you share is all that remains.” Dumbledore took particular note at Harry when he said this.



“Great! When do we leave?” Ron jumped up in an attempt to lighten the atmosphere.



“If you go and pack your things, we can proceed within the hour.” Dumbledore smiled at Ron’s enthusiasm.



That was all the permission they needed. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny tried not to run for the door, containing their excitement. The twins and Bill started chatting amongst themselves, probably planning out how they would put their ‘brand’ of magic to work.



Professors’ Lupin and Dumbledore stayed seated across from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Mr. Weasley was holding Mrs. Weasley’s hand in his in an effort to comfort her. Harry stood up from his chair but then sat right back down. He was looking into the fire when his voice broke.



“Mr. and Mrs. Weasley?” he spluttered, still looking down at the fire.



“Yes Harry.” It was Mr. Weasley.



“I.... I just wanted you to know that I....” He felt his courage waning as he looked up at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. “I just wanted to thank you for letting us go to the Burrow. I also want the both of you to know that I would never do anything to hurt your family, especially Ginny. She is the reason I asked if we could go. I would never do anything to destroy the love and trust that you have given me. I.... I would rather...” As hard as Harry tried to keep it in, small tears trickled down his face.



“We know you would never-” Before she could finish her sentence, Mrs. Weasley pulled him off his chair and into a heart-felt embrace.



When they pulled apart, Harry had noticed that Mr. Weasley had joined the hug. Harry took another step back and caught the proud looks from Lupin and Dumbledore.

He wiped his tear away with a smile on his face.



“Well, I guess I better start packing.” Harry left the room.



Dumbledore looked up into the somber faces of Arthur, Molly, and Remus when the latter asked, “Does he know why, does he know what he’s doing?”



“I believe that deep down he does, though he may not be aware of the significance. We need to let this happen on their own terms. It will do no good to force it or to discourage or delay it. All we can do is give them our love, our support and protect them as long as possible. Harry is an honorable young man who has proven himself again today.”





........................................................................







“Well, I see that you have all packed and are ready to go.” Dumbledore said as all four returned to the library, backpacks in tow.



“Now, if you please join us over here, we will start with the Fidelius Charm. It won’t hurt, you’ll just see different colored light, that’s all. Harry, before I am finished, you will need to whisper what your secret is to Professor Lupin, understood?”



They all nodded and Dumbledore began his incantations, gliding his wand through various motions which Harry had never seen before. There was a faint orange glow surrounding them as Dumbledore continued the spell. Then the light turned blue and Harry saw Lupin step forward. Harry whispered “The Burrow” in his ear and it was followed by a blinding flash of white light. It was done.



“Now, that wasn’t so bad was it?” A tired looking Dumbledore smiled at them all.



“You’ll be traveling by Portkey.” And he held out an empty inkbottle.



“Just a few reminders, do not leave the Burrow,” he added with a smile, “that means no flying. Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger, shall we say 3 o’clock?” Seeing that they both nodded he continued,



“Mind your manners, we’ll be watching. If you feel at any time you are in danger, by all means defend yourselves if necessary. The inkbottle will continue to act as a Portkey should you ever need to return without a Minder. And last but not least, enjoy yourselves.”



“Yeah, but not too much, Fred and I are the experts when it comes to too much fun.” George winked.



“That’s right, we have a new found authority over the four of you-” Fred said seriously, there was a slight resemblance of the estranged Percy.



“-and we’re not afraid to use it!” George blustered as he had finished Fred’s sentence.



“Good, then I’ll send Misters Fred, George and Bill to accompany you on your arrival.” Dumbledore suppressed a grin. “Ready now.”



All four gave a quick wave to Lupin and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, then they all touched the inkbottle, there was barely enough room to squeeze all the fingers in.



“One, Two, Three.”



A/N: Kudos again to Beta Whizzbee and Beta/Mod. Bogus. Thanks for your review and feedback, I appreciate them all.
Buried At The Burrow by PatronyBologna
Buried at the Burrow
Chapter 4


Fred, George and Bill went wild. Ron tried to slow them down a bit before they charmed everything in sight.

“Not the loo you gits!” Ron bellowed.

“We’re taking our new found authority very seriously, little brother. What if a Death Eater decided he’d relieve himself before he sneaked in your room to curse you into oblivion? Surely you would want to be notified of the impending danger and it wouldn’t hurt to have him a few parts short.”

They couldn’t help but laugh.

Everything in the Burrow had been covered with a thin veil of dust. It had only been a month since the family left for Grimmauld Place. The four of them separated to tag along with their Minders to see exactly what got charmed, how it got charmed, and the consequences of activating said charm. It was better to be prepared than to stumble across one unexpectantly.

“Okay, remember that the second step on the staircase has a sticking charm.. The back door had to be walked through backwards and if you didn’t say ‘Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes’ while walking through the front door, it will slam shut in your face and the whole of the house will be magically sealed.” Bill said as he got ready to leave. “That was a collaborated charm, were quite proud of it.”

It was nearly midnight before the older Weasleys had finished their job.

“By the way, Mum gave me a list of things that need to be done.” Bill said as he handed Ron the list. “See you later!” He said as he pulled Ginny into a hug.

“Yeah, see ya.” Ron replied absent-mindedly, still reading the parchment from his mother.

“Thanks.” Harry said while nodding in appreciation.

“Oh, you’ll be thanking us alright!” They twins said in unison as the trudged up the stairs to their old room.

“Maybe you should be minding them.” A smile curled Bill’s lips as he watched the twins ascend the staircase. “Good luck.” And with a small ‘pop’ he was gone.


“Blimey, check this list out. I thought we were supposed to be enjoying ourselves! Look what Mums got us doing, we’ll be buried up to our ears to get all this done in a week!” Ron shook his head and handed the list to Hermione.

“Oh, it won’t be so bad Ron, even without magic.” Hermione was still reading down the list.

Harry and Ginny had made there way over to the sofa in front of the fireplace. Luckily it was a warm July night and there was no need for a fire.

A poof of dust billowed from the sofa as Ginny plopped down. “Well, ‘cough’ were here.” She said as she looked at Harry who sat on the opposite end of the sofa. “Thank-you, Harry.”

“Oh, no problem.” He was trying to fight the blush rising to his face.

Ron and Hermione left for the kitchen. Ron, as always, was up for a late-night snack and hoped that something useful, not to mention edible, was left in the kitchen. Harry noticed that his two best friends were hardly found one without the other. He took that as a good sign. It had been a long time coming.

“Harry?” Ginny whispered.

“Yeah?” He mumbled.

“Why did you do this? I remember what Dumbledore told us and all, but...” Before Ginny could finish, Harry replied.

“I thought you might want to spend some time at home. I....” Harry trailed off, he wasn’t about to admit to ‘invading’ her mind and thought that if he continued any farther in his explanation, she would figure it out.

Ginny couldn’t think of what to say next. She knew that he was keeping something to himself. So they sat there in the flickering candlelight, watching a spider weave its web between the candlestick and a picture above the mantle, the silence was only broken by a muffled conversation from the kitchen.

There was a burst through the kitchen door and Ron and Hermione walked out.

“I sure hope they’re bringing us something to eat tomorrow. There’s nothing here but an old tin of biscuits from Hagrid!” Ron sighed. “Well, I’m off to bed. Coming Harry?”

“Yeah, right behind you.” Harry called back over his shoulder as he watched Ron and Hermione start up the stairs.

After a few minutes of silence, Harry turned to Ginny as he got up from the couch, “If there’s anything you need, just let me know. Anything at all, no matter how silly it may seem, okay?”

“Okay.” Ginny smirked as she reached out for Harry’s hand to pull her up off the sofa. “But I’ll have you know that I’m not completely helpless.”

“I know you’re not Ginny, I’ve seen you in action.” Harry returned a grin and led her up the stairs. “Good night, Ginny.”

“Good night, Harry.”



Harry had found Ron’s room exactly the same. The only difference was that the violent orange had a twinge of brown from all the dust. He felt more at home in this room than he did at any other place. It was good to be back.

“So” Ron started as Harry shut the door.

“So?” Harry asked tentatively.

“Why are we really here, Harry.” Ron gave Harry an expectant look.

“Well,” Stammering once again. “You know.”

“No, I don’t know Harry.” There was an edge to Rons’ voice. “All I know is that you had a bad dream and made my sister have the same dream. This is a risk, us being here, I could see it in Dumbledores eyes. We’ve been through too much together for me not to know that it has to be something important -something involving Voldemort, to risk us all. At least in the Department of Mysteries, I knew what we could be walking into, but this Harry?”

After pulling the top sheet off his bed, Harry laid down face up staring up at a Cannon poster. He had resigned to the fact that he was going to have to come clean, he knew Ron had him pegged.

“It’s not what you think. It’s not Voldemort, at least not directly.” Harry began.

Ron pulled the dusty cover off his bed and sat down on the edge of it.

“To tell you the truth, I really don’t know the full reason why we had to come here, Ron.” Harry sighed as he watched the Cannon chaser make a difficult goal, one he’d seen hundreds of times.

“This was your idea wasn’t it?” Ron questioned.

“Yes, and like I told your parents before we left, I did it for Ginny.”

“Why? You’ve been watching her since that night. How does being here change anything?”

“I don’t know. I do know that she needs to feel safe, the Burrow is her home, it’s your home. She needs feel safe around me, to know that I would never hurt her. Ron,” Harry paused, letting his mind find the right words. “Ron, I think that there’s something that Ginny has, something that I need. I need to....”

“What? You don’t fancy Ginny do you? Somehow I don’t think snogging my sister is going to help you!” Ron looked slightly disgusted.

“No, Ron, it’s not like that.” Trying not to blush at the thought of snogging Ginny. “I told you about my dream. What I didn’t tell you is that what I felt for Ginny was so strong. I would have done anything and I mean anything to protect her. If she died, I died.”

At least twenty minutes had pasted since Harry had spoken before Ron replied. “So are you in love with my sister?”

After another long pause, Harry slowly let out his breath and said, “No, but I think that I’m supposed to be.”

“Supposed to be!” Rons’ voice was soft but powerful none the less.

“Look Ron, I told you I don’t know. She’s your sister. She has a boyfriend, there are a million reasons. Besides, I can’t love anyone! Voldemort would find out and kill them. He’s taken everyone I have ever loved away from me! My parents, Sirius, you’re already in danger by just being my friend and I don’t know if I protect you, all of you. I don’t know if I can...” Harry was about to burst. “I’m the one who has to kill him Ron! It’s me! Not you, not Hermione, not the Order, not Dumbledore, ME! I have to kill him to end it, or he kills me and everyone’s dead!”

Before Harry had finished, he found himself yelling at Ron whose face had gone white.
“And I don’t know if I can do it!” And with that he threw opened the door and stormed out of the room.



Harry returned to his spot on the sofa with his face in his hands, trying to ease the pain of what he’d just done. He hadn’t meant to yell at Ron or expose the prophecy. Somehow Ron had pushed him to the edge and he’d fallen off it. Harry sat alone in the dark; anger, guilt and doubt flowing unimpeded through him until he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Harry? Are you all right?” It was the soothing voice of Ginny, standing there in her nightdress behind the sofa. “We heard you yelling at Ron, Hermione is with him now. I thought I’d see if you were okay.”

Harry didn’t say anything nor do anything to acknowledge her presence.

“Whatever it was you two were fighting about, it doesn’t matter.” Her tone was indifferent, telling him that she had not taken sides.

“It does matter, Ginny.” His voice was cold. Harry shrugged off her hand from his shoulder, he didn’t want to feel her touch. He got up and turned to face her, “I’m leaving.”

Apparently he had said the wrong thing.

“What! You want to leave!” Ginny rounded on him so fast that it would have done Mrs. Weasley proud.

“Yes, I need to leave NOW!” Harry had walked to the other side of the sofa and was making an effort to reach the portkey.

“Oh no you don’t Potter!” Her eyes matched her flaming hair as she stood with her arms folded across her chest between Harry and the inkbottle. “You brought us here, everyone has bent over backwards to keep you, to keep us protected and now you want to walk away!”

“I think that would be best!” Harry was on the bubble of loosing it with her. “I was a stupid git to think that this was a good idea!”

“Well you’re certainly being a STUPID GIT now!” Ginny’s hands were on her hips. There was such a power behind her words that Harry thought they had actually hit him.

“You’re not going anywhere! You don’t have to tell me why you’re all hot and bothered, but you’re going to stay here!” If Ginny was able to use her wand, she would have, lucky for Harry it was just her finger. “So SIT DOWN and cool off!”

“FINE, have it your way!” Harry whipped around and threw himself down on the sofa, smacking his head against the back.

“What was that about?” Ron dared to ask as he, Hermione and the twins stood midway down the staircase gawking at the scene below them.

At the same time Ginny and Harry bellowed, “Nothing!”

“I’ll be surprised if they didn’t hear it back at Grimmauld with as loud as you two were.” Hermione voiced how displeased she was with the whole ordeal. “We should all get some sleep, we’ll sort it out in the morning.”

“Fine, go to bed!” Harry snapped.

“Good night to you too then.” And with that, she went back to Ginnys’ room and Ron into his. The twins gave each other shrug, then retreated to their room as well.

Harry heard Ginnys’ soft footsteps walk away.

“I’m sorry Gin.” His voice still sharp. It wasn’t much of an apology.

“I know you are.” Ginny bit back and with that she left him alone.


......................................................................................



Harry woke up to the smell of bacon. He pulled himself together and got up from the sofa while nursing a stiff neck from sleeping upright. In the kitchen he found Ginny, Ron and Hermione, from the looks of it they had been up awhile. Harry joined them at the table and filled his plate with the bacon and eggs that Mrs. Weasley had dropped off while he slept.

“Glad to see you’re still alive.” Ginny mocked at Harry.

“Glad to see you’re still alive too.” Harry shot back with playful spite more than anger.

“Look, I’ve made up a schedule for us to get some work done today. Mrs. Weasley said this morning that we are to work at least half the day.” Hermione said while handing each a slip of parchment. “Since we all had a bit of a lie in,” glancing at Harry as she said this, “most of the day has been wasted.”

“I thought we’d split up into teams. Ron and Harry can work in the garden while Ginny and I tidy up the house.” Hermione looked at Harry and added, “If you think you can suffer through working with Ron.”

“I’m willing to suffer with him if he’s willing to suffer with me.” Harry glanced across the table at Ron with a half smile.

“Oh, that settles it then, we’ll suffer together.” Ron was now smiling at Harry. If the argument they had last night wasn’t forgotten, it seemed that it was at least forgiven.

“Good! Finish up breakfast so Ginny and I can get to work.” Hermione looked pleased with her hand at manipulation.

The boys shoveled in the rest of their eggs and headed out the door.

“Remember to say ‘Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes’ when you come back in!”

“Yes, ‘Mione!” Ron hollered back as if he was a little kid who’d been reminded to tie his shoes and look both ways before crossing the street.



“I’m sorry Harry, I didn’t know.” Ron said as they walked the overgrown path to the garden. “I had no idea. Did that have to do with the prophecy? The one Voldemort was after?”

“Yes and I would appreciate it if we didn’t discuss it anymore. Did you tell Hermione?” Harry glanced at Ron as they entered the garden.

“No, she asked what had happened. Her and Ginny couldn’t understand what you were yelling. I told her that you’ve just been under a lot of pressure with Sirius and the dreams and all. I won’t lie to her Harry, she’ll figure it out soon enough.” Ron had shut the sagging garden gate behind them.

“Look, I’m sorry for yelling at you. I’ve been keeping this to myself, I haven’t said anything to anyone since Dumbledore told me the night Sirius died. Voldemort doesn’t know and it would benefit all of us if he never found out.” Harry said while he sized up the damaged section fence.

“I can.... forget that I heard it. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.” Ron offered his hand to Harry.

“Thank you, Ron.” And they shook on it.

“Ah, looks like we need some muggle tools, am I right?” Ron scratched his head as he kicked a dangling picket.

“Yeah, I’d say we need a hammer and some nails. I’m guessing that your dad has them in the shed?”

“Anything my dad owns that once belonged to muggles is in the shed.” Ron rolled his eyes and chuckled.

“You stay here, I’ll get them. I know what I’m looking for.” With that Harry started out for the shed.


When Harry had returned with the tools they needed, Ron was busy chucking gnomes over the wall while guarding the hole in which they might return.

“So, what’s up with you and Hermione anyway?” Harry concentrated on nailing a picket in place, hoping that if he acted like he wasn’t paying attention to his answer, Ron would tell him. “You two haven’t had a proper row since I left the Dursleys.”

“We uh, we’ve had an understanding. That’s it, an understanding.” With a slight grunt, Ron swung another gnome around his head and launched it over the wall. Harry thought that his face was red from something other than the work or the heat of the day.

“It just sort of happened. Look, I’ve fancied Hermione since- since I can’t remember when. I was just afraid of what she would think of me, I didn’t want to ruin the friendships we had. I didn’t know what you would think of me and Hermione.” He whipped another gnome he had by the ankles across the fence. Somehow keeping busy with the gnomes made it easier to talk.

Ron wiped his hands on his pants before he continued on, “It all started when we were in the hospital wing. Both of us were concerned about the others welfare, so we kinda looked after each other. I figured that I had nothing to lose but the opportunity. Going with you and meeting the Death Eaters head on was enlightening to say the least. I think I just realized then and there that now was better than never.”

“Well, I think it’s great. It’s about time really.” Harry smiled as he finished up with the fence.

“What do you mean, it’s about time?” Ron gaped at his best mate.

“Just that it’s been obvious that you two have fancied each other for oh, since I can’t remember when.” Harry laughed at the look on Ron’s face.


By the time they had finished mending the fence between them and fence that now separated the gnomes and the wild from the garden, it was nearly two-thirty. Ginny and Hermione were chatting excessively while strolling down the garden path.

“Hey you two! You forgot about lunch. I was beginning to think that Harry finished you off, Ron.” Hermione shouted with a smile.

Ginny and Hermione were now at the garden gate. Ginny seemed to slip into a sudden daze.

“I’ve held my ground valiantly, he’s been insufferable though for sure.” Ron took the glass of water Hermione offered him and emptied it in one large gulp. “Thanks. What time is it?”

“Almost time to go, we better get ready,” She scrunched her nose up as Ron leaned into her, handing back the glass, “at least you need to get ready.”

“Oh, here Harry, this is for you.” Ginny snapped out of her reverie and thrust the glass of water towards him, sloshing it up over the rim.

“Mind yourselves will you! I don’t want to you find you cowering in a corner Harry because my baby sister got the best of you.” Ron called back to them as he and Hermione made their way back to the house where Bill was waiting for them in the doorway.

“Thanks Ginny” And Harry too finished the glass off in one swallow, ignoring Rons’ last comment.

“So, would you fancy a turn in the garden Miss Weasley?” Harry asked in a most formal manner, the question almost surprised himself.

“Oh, that would be delightful Mr. Potter.” Ginny giggled through a grin and fluttered her eyelashes as he opened the gate to let her in.

“Would you mind?” He offered her his forearm after setting the empty glass on the post

“No, not at all. I’m not afraid of a little dirt.” She said as she wrapped her arm around his.

“I don’t think there’s much that you are afraid of Miss Weasley.” Harry chuckled as he led her along the garden path.

They made their first leisurely lap around the gardens’ edge in silence. Weeds had taken over most of the flowerbeds but a few summer buds had bloomed despite onslaught. The garden had really fallen into disarray since he last remembered it, another casualty of the war.

“So, have you enjoyed your first day back?” Harry asked while kicking a large pebble along the path.

“Yes. I’m glad to be back.” Ginny replied as she fingered a blade of tallgrass as they walked by. “I don’t think that we will be here again before going to Hogwarts, maybe for the Christmas holidays though.”

Harry took his arm back from Ginny, stopped and was staring at a patch of prickly weeds that reminded him strangely enough of his prickly behavior the night before. “I’m really sorry that I yelled at you last night. I didn’t mean it, you were just being nice and I blew up at you, I’m sorry.”

“Oh, I suppose you’re forgiven Mr. Potter,” Ginny said cheekily as she continued to walk by herself, blazing a new trail to the far side of the garden through the overgrown grass and untamed shrubs.

Surprised at the ease in which she accepted his apology, he followed after her with a dumbfounded look on his face. “Ginny?”

“Yes?” She called back, hidden behind a large grouping boxwood shrubs.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked as he brushed and ducked a vine of climbing roses and odd branches here and there.

“Here.” She answered back as if he should already know.

Harry had entered a little hollow. Ginny was standing in the middle of what looked like a small seating area buried in an explosion of green. There was a whitewashed bench that had a pair of its legs twisted off one end, a small tray table covered in crusty purple goo and two picket chaise-lounge chairs thick with blistered paint and a few rusty nails sticking out here and there. It looked to Harry like it had once been well kept with a variety of flowers and ornamental shrubs. He wondered why he had never seen it before.

“Where did this place come from? I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it here.” Harry asked as he surveyed the area.

“Oh, my dad built it for mum a long time ago. Sometimes she would get so crazy with Fred, George, Ron...” she was ticking off her fingers as she went on “Bill, Charlie, Percy. I was the angel of course so if she needed to get away, it wasn’t from me.” Ginny sighed and gave her best performance of an angelic look.

“It’s always been here, Dad would put a silencing charm around it so mum could have some time to herself.” Ginny made an attempt to sit on the high end of the lopsided bench but changed her mind when it gave a loud creaked before she rested all of her weight upon it.

“Anyway, I would sometimes come here with her, being the perfect child and all. I dunno, I liked it here. I can see why mum did too, at least before the wiles of nature took over, not to mention the boys.” She pointed to the purple residue on the tray table.

Harry didn’t say anything as she brushed past him and through the thicket they had just entered from.

Ginny tried her best to sound sophisticated as she waited for him on the main pathway,
“Shall we continue our turn, Mr. Potter?”


They had spent the rest of late afternoon meandering through the garden and around the Burrow, not paying much attention to fact that they had circled it at least half a dozen times. Talking occasionally on various subjects from the excitement of returning to Hogwarts, speculations on who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor was going to be and Ron and Hermiones’ new found relationship. Harry was surprised that Ginny knew quite a bit about the latter.


They had reached the front door of the house when Harry stopped and checked his watch.

“Ron, Hermione, and Bill are going to be back soon, I should probably clean up a bit before dinner.”

“Yeah, I don’t mind you so much as long as there’s a nice breeze blowing the opposite direction. I think we’d all loose our appetite though if you didn’t.” Ginny took an exaggerated step away in mocked disgust from Harry while fanning her nose in an attempt to hide a grin. “I’m going back to the garden.” Ginny turned sauntered away.

Harrys’ eyes followed her to the gate before he went inside, saying ‘Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes’ as he crossed the threshold. Dumbledore was right, he felt better and from Ginnys return to her normal fiesty ways he assumed she was feeling better too.



...............................................................



Bill, Fred and George were taking great delight in questioning them. Everything from whether they’d brushed their teeth or not to having each of them rate their level of fun on a scale of one to ten. Ron would always claim his fun level was a dismal two in hopes that they would leave them alone. Unfortunately, it had the opposite affect.

Mrs. Weasley would pop in from time to time as well. Harry decided that she looked worse for the wear and the side of him that was concerned for her welfare was glad that only three days remained.

Harry and Ron had worked hard on all of their assignments, they would finish them quickly and return to work in the garden, only breaking for the lunch that the girls had prepared for them up at the house. Ron and Harry wondered if that was all the girls had to do while the girls questioned the reason behind the their new work ethics. They had only stopped their labors for the day when Ron and Hermione left, leaving Harry and Ginny to their afternoon constitutional.

They had kept their walks formal; Harry would ask Miss Weasley, she would politely accept Mr. Potters’ request, he’d offered up his arm- dirt smudges and all, she would wrap her arm around his, resting her wrist just above his as he held it to his side. They walked wherever their legs took them so long it was within the boundaries of the Burrow. Around the house, circling the shed, skirting the grove of trees to the east and even to the top of a small hill whose peak was spilt with a crooked rock fence marking the end of the Burrow. Ginny was getting suspicious of the fact that he excluded the garden, but hid her curiosity well. Whatever was going on behind that gate was a topic conversation between her and Hermione and both had a pretty good idea what they were up to.

The four of them would spend their time together in the evenings playing games. Tonight’s entertainment was filled by playing Hide and Seek in the house. It was extremely tricky to maneuver through the rooms quickly without getting caught by the Seeker or the charms. Sadly, Hermione and Harry were always the first players to be found if Ron or Ginny was Seeker and spent the most time seeking out the others.

“Unfair?” Ron scoffed at Harry and Hermiones whines, “you’re just not being creative enough.”

Ginny sighed and furrowed her brow, “I guess this proves that I’m a better Seeker than Harry. His qualifications as the Gryffindor Seeker were grossly exaggerated!” She could barely finish before all four of them fell over in a fit of laughs, officially ending the game.

When the laughter died down, Ron got up at said, “Well, I reckon it’s time for bed Harry.” giving him a slight wink.

“Yeah, I reckon so. Big day tomorrow, being my birthday and all!” Harry and Ron walked up to their room with their noses held high, implying a know-it-all attitude, leaving the girls sprawled out on the sofa.

“I think we’re in for a treat, Hermione.” Ginnys eyes flashed devilishly.

“Oh, you don’t say.” Hermione returned the look, both grinning ear to ear.




A/N: Thanks again to my Beta Whizzbee and Beta/Mod Bogus and especially to all of you who have read. Next chapter, Birthdays And Bedlam.
Birthdays And Bedlam by PatronyBologna
Chapter 5

Birthdays and Bedlam




When Ginny and Hermione came downstairs, they found Harry and Ron in deep discussion with their Minders - Fred, George, and Bill. They were sitting at the far end of the kitchen table, heads together and finished plates shoved to the side. George was jotting down information as the meeting continued.

“Hem, hem....” Ginny made them all jump at her frighteningly accurate impression of their most despised former professor.

George rolled up the parchment and quickly tucked it into his dragon hide jacket as Fred got up and crossed the room, pulling Ginny into a bear hug. “Good morning, my most favorite sister!” His tone was obviously sarcastic in nature.

“Oh, get off me Fred! I know you’re up to something.” Ginny said as she pushed herself from Fred’s grip, not breaking eye contact with the rest of the group.

“Happy Birthday Harry!” Hermione took a seat at the table next to Ron.

“Thank you Hermione!” Harry’s tone was like Fred’s, a bit too chipper.

“So what’s going on with you this morning?” Ginny’s eyes were pleading for information at her older brother Bill as she took a seat next to him.

“Oh, just here doing our duty for the Order.... Besides, we wanted to wish Harry a Happy Birthday.” He did his best to look totally innocent.

“Yeah, and I’m a Cornish Pixie!” Ginny scowled at Bill, perturbed that he didn’t give anything away. “Has Mum been here yet?”

Ron shook his head, “No, these blokes here brought breakfast.”

“Mum went to a meeting with Dad this morning at the Ministry, so we thought we’d volunteer our services.” George smirked as Fred continued, “I think you’ll enjoy the scones, don’t you George?”

“I’m not eating anything if it was brought by you three!” Ginny jumped up from the table and started to rummage through the cupboards.

“It’s fine Ginny, really. I ate it and you don’t see me sprouting a third eye.” Harry added as he brushed his hair off his forehead to prove his point.

“So what is it you all are hush-hush about?” Ginny returned to the table with plates for her and Hermione. “I’ve lived with this lot long enough to know that something is rotten in Denmark.”

“Well, I just asked if our Minders here could do a favor for me. I wanted some things from Diagon Alley and since they all work nearby, I thought they could pick them up for me.” Harry had told the truth, just not the details.


“Oh, look at the time.” Bill shot up from the table after pretending to look at a watch that wasn’t there. “We’ll see you later, after lunch?” He asked Ron and Harry who nodded to confirm.

“Farewell!” George got up with a big wave that nearly knocked the side of Hermione’s head.

“We bid you adieu!” Fred fell into a ridiculously deep bow after leaving his chair.

Pop, pop, pop and they were gone.

“Well, that was convincing!” Ginny said as she bit off the end of her scone and dropped the rest to her plate.

“What would you like to do today Harry? We don’t have to work since it is your birthday.” Hermione asked while she buttered her scone.

“Actually, Harry and I have plans of our own.” Ron broke in before Harry could answer.

Taking up his lead, Harry continued, “Yeah, we’re still not done with the weeds in the garden and yesterday we-” He noticed that the girls looked quite disgruntled then added hopefully, “But we’ll be done this afternoon.”





......................................................................







Ron and Hermione left for Grimmauld Place at the usual time. But instead of their usual walks, Harry went straight up to shower as Ginny settled herself into the cushy chair next to the sofa, leaning her side against the right arm and her legs tucked up under her sundress as she read an old copy of her mother’s Witch Weekly. Harry emerged about an hour later, barefoot with his hair still damp, dressed in a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. He was holding socks in one hand and his trainers in the other as he bounded down the stairs, careful not to hit the second from the bottom.

“Hey.” Harry said as he sat on the sofa. When he finished tying his trainers, he stood up in front of Ginny, who kept her eyes glued to the magazine. Harry was beginning to wonder if she was still on about this morning.

“Miss Weasley, I believe that you owe me a turn this afternoon.” Harry held out his hand in an offer to help her out of the chair.

Ginny quietly cleared her throat and turned the page as if nobody was there, apparently the article titled ‘Which Do Do you Do? A Guide to Bewitchingly Beautiful Hair’ held more water than he did.

Feeling slightly deflated, Harry tried again, there was no way he was losing out to a hair guide. “Miss Weasley, will you give me the honor of accompanying me with a turn through the garden?” His hand was still out-stretched in front of Ginny.

There was a moment of silence. Harry looked down at his feet, about to give up the fight to a twisted-bun-corkscrew-do. Defeated, he was taking his hand back when he felt her fingers slip inside his palm.

“Oh.... Mr. Potter!” she said in feigned surprise while letting him pull her to her feet, “I didn’t recognize you, without the dirt and all.”

“Yeah, I do clean up.” Harry smirked as her offered his arm, “Shall we?”

“Of course, lead the way.” She smiled as she took her place by his side.

Ginny and Harry walked in silence down to the garden gate. Harry had found that it was quite comfortable to walk with Ginny whether they were talking or not. The afternoon air was warm and sweet; wisps of high clouds marred the otherwise perfect blue sky. Harry was grateful to be here and glad Ginny had made him stay.

“So, have you had a Happy Birthday Harry?” Ginny asked, as she looked around at all the improvements he and Ron had made to the garden.

“Well, so far it’s been good. Anything is better than spending it at the Dursleys.” Harry stated matter-of-factly while Ginny slightly pulled his arm down as she stooped to pick a daisy.

They strolled along the outer path. Ginny stopped at various patches flowers as they walked, Harry watched her as she would smell each one, careful not to injure it as she cradled the blossoms in her hands.

Ginny has always been a bit of an enigma to Harry. She was his best mate's little sister in a family he regarded as his own and loved him as if he was. He remembered the day he saw her at the train station and how she ran to keep up with the train; waving, laughing, and crying all at the same time as it pulled out from the platform. Her clumsiness and awkward shyness towards him his second year, not to mention the fact that he had saved her from Tom Riddle’s diary, a scenario that would have brought Voldemort back and certain death to Ginny.

Over the past year, Harry had witnessed her kindness and the love she has for her family, delicate yet powerful. Her grief at the potential loss of her father, the immense joy at his recovery. Ginny had eased his fears of Voldemort possessing him, joined him in the D.A. and conspired with him against the Hogwarts High Inquisitor, Professor Umbridge. And little over a month ago, she had fought along side him in the Department of Mysteries. Ginny had been threatened with torture by Bellatrix, suffered a broken ankle and hit with Merlin knows what spell. He remembered not wanting her there, afraid that she, along with Neville and Luna, would be more of a liability or hindrance than help. Just now Harry remembered what George had said about her last summer, “...size is no guarantee of power, look at Ginny.”** Harry agreed with himself, Ginny definitely has a spirit about her that’s as fiery as her hair is red.


Breaking from his thoughts, Harry looked nervously at his watch; Ron and Hermione would be back soon.

“Ginny?” He asked her quietly as she examined an odd-looking periwinkle flower.

“Um-hmm” She toned absently as she stood up from the patch of flowers.

“I have a surprise for you.” He said as she turned back towards him. He noticed that she was wearing one of the periwinkle flowers in her hair, it’s stem tucked behind her ear. It matched the polka dots on her white sundress.

“But it’s not my birthday...” Realizing that Harry seemed a bit fidgety, she smiled and said, “Oh, I love surprises!” Ginny had a good idea of what it was, but played along.

“Come on then, close your eyes.” Harry offered her his arm and led her down the path towards the hollow.

“Alright ... careful now, duck a little bit.... okay... open them.” Harry released himself from her arm in the center of the hollow and took a few steps back towards the opening so that she could take in the whole effect.

“Wow, it’s beautiful!” Ginny gasped as her eyes danced around the clearing.

The hollow had been transformed. All the weeds had been pulled and the flowers showed their appreciation with spectacular blooms. The shrubs were pruned back into round heaps of glistening green foliage. The garden furniture had been repaired and finished off with a fresh coat of soft white paint; you could even see the flagstone floor it was resting on. The tray table that was once covered in purple goo sat between the lounge chairs and now had a new wooden top. Above it, attached to the back hedge was a small silver banner that read in dark blue letters, “Happy Birthday Ginny!”

“This is really beautiful Harry, you and Ron did all this?” She turned and gaped at him.

“Yeah, I... we thought that you would like it. The twins and Bill helped too, they should be here in a while.” Harry said with a shrug, doing his best not to be embarrassed by her happiness.

“But, it’s not my birthday, it’s yours!” She said as she pointed to the banner behind her back.

“Well, I thought we could share our birthdays.... today, if you don’t mind. We’ll be back at Grimmuald Place for yours so we thought it would be special for you to have it here while we had the chance.” Harry was studying the jagged edge of a slab of flagstone, afraid to look up a Ginny.

“But....” Ginny said as she sat down on the repaired bench. “I haven’t gotten you anything for your birthday, we haven’t been allowed anywhere and...”

“Don’t worry about that, you showed me this place. I’ve enjoyed spending time with Ron working on it.” Still scrambling for his words, Harry added, “And I look forward to our walks, and there’s something else you can help me with, it’s something that I’ve wanted but I need your help to get it.”

Ginny looked perplexed as she examined the daisy she had picked earlier in her lap, softly brushing each petal with her fingertip. “Well, what is it?” She had no idea of what it could be. Ginny didn’t have anything she thought that he would want.

He walked over and crouched down in front of her. He cupped his hand under hers as it held the daisy and brushed her hair away, revealing the periwinkle petals and her sun-kissed freckled face. He showed the same tenderness he had for her when she was sitting on the settee, the first time he saw her after his vision.

“Ginny,” Harry’s voice was barely audible “Ginny, I want us to be friends, good friends.” He took in every line of her face in a feeble attempt gauge her reaction.

“Well, I thought we are,” Ginny uttered, keeping her gaze on the bright yellow center of the daisy. “Aren’t we?”

Harry took a deep steadying breath and slowly swung himself up to take a seat next to her, still cupping her hand but unable to see her face. “Ginny, I know about your... dreams. Your nightmares.”

“I suppose Ron and Hermione told you?” Ginny asked with annoyance.

“Yes and no.” He had crossed an invisible threshold of no return, “They told me that you were screaming for me. I know that Voldemort was torturing you and I couldn’t stop him.”


“How did you know that? I didn’t tell anybody, they couldn’t have known that.” Panic started to grab hold of Ginny.

“I know that Ginny, because-” Harry took a deep breath as if he were about to dive into the sea, “Because I had the same dream.”

Ginny was silent, so much so that Harry thought that she had stopped breathing.

“I don’t know why we had the same dream, Ginny, but I know it’s not Voldemort.” Harry was making an attempt to relieve what he thought were her worries. “I’m sorry that you suffered, and that in my dream.... your dream.... I couldn’t help you, no matter how hard it tried. I’m sorry. I just need to know that I have your friendship and if you want mine. I don’t want you to be afraid of me.”

Harry could hear that she was breathing again as she drew quick sharp breaths followed by stifled sobs.

“I understand if you don’t want my friendship Gin, unfortunately it comes with risks.” A little voice inside his head was telling him that she would turn his offer down.

“It’s okay, really.” He drew his hand back from hers; somehow it felt like he was letting her go as he fell away into the darkness.

“Oh no you don’t Potter!” She forced through a sob as she reached out and grabbed his hand back. “I know what being your friend means, Harry. You have a lot of friends mind you and I would like to count myself as one of them.”

“But...”

“But what? Honestly!” she jerked her hand from his, “I may have had a silly little crush on you years ago, but having your friendship means the world to me Harry. I don’t care what I dream, what you dream, how many Death Eaters I come up against or if Lord Voldemort sends me to an early end.” Ginny was talking so fast that it all came out in rapid procession.

“I will always be your friend because I care about you! Not because you’re Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, not because of that scar on your forehead, not because you’re my brothers best mate, not because Hermione and I are friends, not because my mum and dad think of you as one of their own. I, Ginevra Molly Weasley am your friend come hell or high water and Voldemort be damned!”

Ginny was now standing above a cowering Harry who was gaping at her from the bench, much like he had done to Ron a few nights ago. But instead of storming off and taking the easy way out like he had, she stood there shaking madly and looking at him as tears slid down her red face.

“Gin, I didn’t mean to upset you... I’m...” Harry was struggling for the use of speech.

“A stupid git, I know. Good thing I can look past it!” She gave a stuffy laugh through her tears.

“Friends then?” Ginny held out her hand in forgiveness and acceptance.

“Friends” Harry took her hand as she pulled him into a hug.

At first Harry wanted to pull away, uncomfortable with such close contact, but at the same time felt at peace within her delicate embrace. Her head pressed against his shoulder as her forehead fit perfectly under his chin. He could feel the softness of her hair beneath his cheek, the dampness of her tears through the collar of his t-shirt and her beating heart on his chest. Before he could fully take in the experience, she pulled away quickly as if she just got an electric shock.

“Are you okay?” He asked her, feeling like he did something to make her jump.

“Yeah, I.... Oh never mind.” She brushed the hair that had stuck to her tear stained face away and gave a small sniff.

“Er,” Harry was good at thinking on his feet whenever danger was involved, but slammed into a brick wall with Ginny. He needed to change situation they found themselves in, for once it was awkward silence, so Harry resorted to the thing that he and Ginny had spent the most of their time together doing.

“Miss Weasley,” he offered his arm as usual, “Will you please accompany me back to the house? I believe Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss Granger will return soon and I have a few more surprises.”

“Mr. Potter, you’re too good of a friend indeed.”





.........................................................................





Ron and Hermione returned to the Burrow with Lupin and the rest of the Weasley family, except for Charlie who was still in Romania and the estranged Percy. They had each brought gifts for Harry and Ginny. Mrs. Weasley brought a large picnic basket filled with ham and roast beef sandwiches, treacle tarts, bottles of Butterbeer, and a large chocolate cake riddled with sixteen white candles and fifteen pink ones. As with any Weasley celebration, they all headed to the garden.

“Mum, come and look what Ron and Harry did!” Ginny was pulling her mother towards the hollow where they disappeared for awhile.

Fred, George, Mr. Weasley and Lupin were discussing what Harry could only guess were recent events within the Order.

Seizing his chance, Harry found Bill setting up a table in the garden and decided it was a good time to ask him if we got what he’d asked for.

“Hey, Bill.”

“Harry.” Bill replied as he magiked several chairs around the table.

“Did you get it?”

“Sure did, it’s in the green box on the mantle. Everything is set up and ready to go.” Bill smiled at Harry who was looking back at the house. “Your welcome.”

“Thanks Bill!” Harry called back as he hurried along the path back to the house.

When Harry returned, the party was in full swing. They had to keep it low key of course, but it was fun to see everyone happy, momentarily leaving Order business and the ever-present war behind them.

Harry walked to the head of the table where everyone was enjoying dinner and got their attention.

“First, I wanted to thank everyone for making this possible. To Mr. and Mrs. Weasley for letting us stay at the Burrow and treating me like I’m one of the family. And Professor Dumbledore, Bill, Fred and George for their skills.” Harry looked at each person, except for Dumbledore who didn’t attend, and then he continued. “Thanks to Professor Lupin in whom I put our trust. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. The best friends I could ever have.”

They all smiled at Harry in appreciation of his gratitude. Harry had set the green box he was holding down in front of him on the table. “I have this,” He pulled out leather bound book. “But it only has pictures of parents and me.”

Harry forced himself not to dwell on thought, “I was hoping that you wouldn’t mind it if you all helped me add a few more... pictures.” Harry pulled out a wizarding camera and set it down on the table next to the photo album. “I realized that I don’t have any pictures of the people who matter most in my life as I know it now.”

“Oh, Harry! We would love too!” Mrs. Weasley was holding back tears as she left her seat to hug him.

“It’s okay Mum, he’s not going anywhere.” Ron made a feeble attempt to get her to sit back down.

“I know, I know.” A flustered Mrs. Weasley returned to Mr. Weasley’s side.

“So, who wants to go first?” Harry grinned as he looked around the table.

The rest of the evening was filled with laughter, gifts, cake and two versions of Happy Birthday, one for Harry, the other for Ginny. Any Weasley festivity wasn’t complete without the antics of Fred and George, but given the situation, it was kept to a minimum.

Harry got all the pictures he wanted. He took pictures of everything and shuddered at the thought of acting like a particular Gryffindor shutterbug by the name of Colin Creevey. Bill set up the camera to take a picture with everyone in it. He was looking forward most to the pictures of his friends.

As the sun set in the west, turning the sky a brilliant red, the party came to a close. Harry thanked everyone for the gifts and the wonderful time they’d spent together before they left the garden most of them headed back to headquarters for last minute details. It was now just the four of them. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry retreated to the hollow, reminiscing about the day while watching the stars peek through the darkness.

Hermione leaned back into Ron’s chest as they were cuddled up together in one of the lounge chairs, while Ginny relaxed in the other. Harry laid down on the bench, gazing at the waxing moon. When all the stars had made an appearance marking the late hours of the evening, it was then that Ron and Hermione got up, wished them good night, and returned to the house.

Harry was perfectly content to lie there all night. He was contemplating the evening, he wondered how the pictures would turn out - Bill said that we would get them developed for him. He hoped that Ginny had enjoyed herself and didn’t mind sharing her birthday with his. Harry was glad that they talked about their friendship, he was relieved to know that it meant just as much to her as it did him. Harry was touched by what she said, even though she was yelling it at him.

He remembered their embrace, her arms wrapped around his chest. How fragile she felt, the softness of her hair, her tears, her heart against his chest....

“Harry?”

“Hmm?” Harry answered, still lost in his musings.

“Harry?”


“Uh-huh?”

“Harry.” Ginny was curled up in the lounge chair, her legs tucked under her dress in an effort to keep warm. Her face was as pale as the reflected moonlight. “Harry!”

He snapped up and walked over to her, the _expression she wore told him that it wasn’t good.

“Ginny, what’s wrong?” He said urgently as he settled down next to her. Ginny pulled her legs in tight to her body wrapping her arms around her knees.

“What’s wrong, are you okay?” Without thinking about what he was doing, he looked deep into her eyes as she looked into his.

Something had hit him. Harry was thrown off the chair and fell back, catching his head on edge of the bench with a crack, knocking him out cold.

“Harry, Harry.... Harry I’m sorry.... Harry, wake up..... You’re scaring me.... please, wake up.”

As he came around he heard someone talking to him, slowly he opened his eyes. It was Ginny. She was kneeling, cradling his head in her lap, and brushing his jet-black hair off his face. He slowly pulled himself up off her as he felt a rather large knot on the back of his head.

“I’m sorry Harry, I’m so sorry, I... I don’t know what happened...” Ginny was keeping her cool, but he could see the underlying fear of what just happened beneath her facade.

Harry had a pretty good idea of what caused his current headache and he knew with absolute certainty that it wasn’t the bench. If lessons in Occlumency had taught him anything, it was the effects what it felt like to have your mind broken into, that he had inadvertently broken into Ginny’s mind again and was on the receiving end of her powerful refusal of his presence.

“It’s okay Gin, I’m fine. It’s not your fault, don’t worry.” He tried to console her and take responsibility for his actions. “Come on, it’s getting late and you look like your freezing.”

Harry got up first and then helped Ginny up off the ground.

“I’m sorry Harry, I really am.” She said as she brushed off her dress.

“Don’t worry about it. It was probably some weird charm your brothers put on the chair, you know how they are.” He wasn’t happy with the thought of lying to her, but supposed it was better than the truth.

“Well, I wouldn’t doubt it.” Ginny gave a shiver as she held her arms close and left the hollow.

“Ginny, wait up!” Harry said as he trotted to catch up with her. She was already at the gate. “Here, let me get that.”

“Thanks” Ginny kept her gaze to the ground.

Harry let her through the gate and left it open as he walked to catch up to her again. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a hooded figure silhouetted in the dim moonlight cross the grass a few yards in front of them, heading for the front door. His instincts kicked in. In one swift movement he threw one arm around Ginny’s waist and pulled his wand from his pocket as together they fell flat out in the thick grass. Ginny let out a little squeak as Harry reached to cover her mouth to silence it.

He whispered urgently into her ear. “Ginny, stay calm. I just saw a Death Eater, I don’t know if there are others, they’re here.”

She nodded an inch that told him she understood and he released his hand from her mouth.

“What are they doing here? Ron and Hermione, they don’t know.”

Harry’s mind was racing. Were they there for him, no.... Lupin wouldn’t. If the Fidelius charm was still in effect, they wouldn’t be able to see us...

“Harry, come on. Sitting here isn’t going to help them.” Ginny was tugging at his arm breaking his thought; it had only been a few seconds.

Just as they raised their heads to peer through the grass, they heard two ‘pops’ followed by bright jets of light coming from the shadows of the yard towards the two figures that had apparated between the Death Eater and the house. One of the figures fell as it was hit with a blue jet as the other lunged behind a shrub after a red jet of light left his wand. Harry grasped his wand so tight at the sight of it, his fingernails dug deep into his palm.

“No....” Ginny clasped her hand to her mouth... “No.”

A burst of light flew open the front door of the house. Two more figures joined the fight. Harry felt helpless, it was happening all too fast. He made to stand up as a familiar green light lit the sky above the Burrow. It was the Dark Mark. Just as soon as it appeared, the fighting had stopped. The Death Eaters were gone.

Harry stated to run as fast as his legs would carry him through the darkness towards house and the crumpled figure on the ground in front of it. Ginny, however, was already ahead of him. One of the figures saw them running and in turn, ran to head Ginny off. She was fighting with the figure, as Harry drew closer, he saw that it was Lupin.

Ginny was screaming at him, “Let me go, let me go!” She was beating her fists against Lupin’s chest as he struggled to contain her.

“Ginny, he’s alright.... he’s not dead.... Ginny....Ginny calm down.” Lupin’s voice was firm yet soothing. “Ginny, are you okay.”

Ginny had stopped her struggle and was now crying into his chest. Lupin looked up at Harry who was now standing in front of them, torn between helping Ginny and who ever it was the others were attending to. From the light of the doorway, he could see that a Weasley had fallen and his heart sank to the pit of his stomach.

“Harry, come here please. They just need a minute to check him over and it’s best if you two stayed here for the moment.” Lupin jerked his head as if pulling an invisible string towards him and Ginny. “There’s nothing you can do. Are you alright?”

“Yeah, we’re okay. We we’re in the garden, we we’re on our way back when we saw a Death Eater walking up to the door. He didn’t see us... I don’t think.”

“Good, they shouldn’t have been able to see you.” Lupin cut Harry off before he could start asking questions. “I believe that Ron and Hermione are in the house with Tonks.”

Lupin glanced back to the scene in front of the house, then put his hands on Ginny’s shoulders and pulled her from him. “Harry, I want you to take Ginny back to the house. I want all of you to pack your things immediately, you won’t be coming back.” He turned his gaze to Ginny who was wiping her face with her hands as she stood next to Harry. “Ginny, you can go and see him now.” and gave Harry a look that told him he was to stay by her side.



Lupin lead the way back, followed by Ginny and Harry. The crowd around the fallen Weasley had grown. Tonks, Ron, and Hermione stood in silence, staring down into the middle of the circle.

Mrs. Weasley was sitting on the ground, talking softly to herself and George. “I knew this would happen, I knew it.... oh George, you’ll be okay.”

Bill and Mr. Weasley tended his wounds. There was a large diagonal gash that stretched from his shoulder to his sternum. It was oozing blood and a gooey yellow substance. Harry had noticed that his dragon hide jacket bore the brunt of the spell as it had a matching burn mark. Fred was kneeling down next to his twin, tears welling in his eyes.

Ginny left Harry’s side for her mother’s. She didn’t say anything as her mum wrapped one arm around her shoulder. “He’ll be okay, dear.”

“Yeah, stop your blithering, I haven’t died yet.” George let out a feeble laugh as his eyes winced in pain, looking directly at Fred he added with a hint of a smile, “We’ve got to figure out what that spell was, it might have other uses.”

“Can you stand, son?” Mr. Weasley asked George as he slowly sat him up.

“Yeah, I think so.” George answered.

Both Mr. Weasley and Bill helped him up to his feet while George gnashed his teeth in pain.

“Molly, we need to take him to St. Mungos.” Mr. Weasley told his wife.

“Of course.” Mrs. Weasley turned to Lupin and Tonks, “Remus, can you make sure that the rest of them make it back safely?”

“Certainly.” Lupin accepted the assignment, “Let me know if there’s anything else, take care.”

With that, Bill and Mr. Weasley eased George into the house, followed by Fred and Mrs. Weasley who gave a quick hug to Ginny, Ron, Hermione and Harry before she left.

They all stood listening to the familiar sound of the floo being activated, whisking them away to St. Mungos. When it was quiet again, Lupin and Tonks ushered them back inside under the eerie glow of the Dark Mark.




** OotP, U.S. Edition, Pg. 100


A/N: Thanks again to my Beta Whizzbee and Beta/Mod. Bogus. Thanks for sticking with me and reviewing, I really appreciate it. Next Chapter, Marked. Until then...
Marked by PatronyBologna
Chapter 6




Marked




It was a less-than-graceful landing from the Portkey in the parlor of Grimmauld Place. Almost everyone stumbled silently to stay on their feet, stumbling on the events of the evening as they were now being processed and involuntary accepted into their minds. The Burrow now bore the Dark Mark, even if for a moment, it was something that could not be undone. George Weasley most likely would bare the scar, whether in the flesh over a healed wound or in a dark corner of memories best left forgotten.



“I want you all to have a seat.” Lupin waved his hand at the sofa and chairs. “You need to know what happened tonight and more importantly why.”



Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione all sat on the sofa, sandwiched together as if to take whatever Lupin had to say as one, it would lessen the blow. Tonks muttered something about drinks and left for the kitchen, apparently she did not want to be a part of the conversation that was about to take place. All eyes were now on Lupin who turned toward the fireplace, his forearm leaning on the mantle as he gazed into the fire below.



“I’m sure George will recover just fine. It was lucky that he was wearing that dragon-hide jacket, I don’t need to tell you what would have happened if he was not.” Lupin did not leave the fireplace as he let a moment pass in silence.



Ginny and Hermione were stifling sobs. Ron was pale but resolute, grasping Ginny’s hand to comfort her as Ginny took Hermione’s in friendship and support. Harry was doing his best to prevent the aching feelings of guilt from burrowing further into his stomach like a parasite.



“I did not betray you or your friends Harry.” Lupin turned and looked directly into all their faces, then with an air of reluctance he added, “It was not you, directly, that they were after.”



Harry opened his mouth in an attempt to ask who had been the target of the attack when Lupin raised his hand and silently cut him off.



“Your family was the target tonight,” He said to Ron and Ginny, “more specifically, your father.”



“Why? What has Dad done, do they know about the Order?” Ginny was left wordless when Lupin turned back towards the fireplace.



“Do you know what happened today?” He asked.



Ron answered, “No, we don’t know anything. Nobody has said a word to us.”



“Does it have to do with the meeting Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had at the Ministry today?” Hermione asked.



“As a matter of fact, I believe that it does.” Lupin left the fire and now settled himself down into the wing-backed chair Harry had taken while watching Ginny sleep.



“The Wizengamot held a closed-door hearing earlier this week, much like the one they held for you Harry. With the recent events at the Ministry of Magic, it was clear that Dumbledore was right all along. A vote of no-confidence was taken on Fudge which passed unanimously, unseating him from power.”



“So who’s the new Minister?” Ron asked, even though he thought he knew the answer he would get.



“It’s not your Dad, Ron. It’s Amelia Bones.”



Harry had remembered that name from his hearing. She had been on his side; she was the Aunt of Susan Bones who lost several family members to Voldemort during the first war;



“Dumbledore was offered the position outright, but declined. Ms. Bones was the head of Magical Law Enforcement. Her name, along with others, including your father, was put forth to replace Fudge. A vote was taken and Ms. Bones was elected.”



“That doesn’t explain why Death Eaters were at the Burrow.” Ron suppressed anger of not getting answers fast enough was evident. “Why did they attack, if it wasn’t for us?”



“Ms. Bones selected your father for the position of Senior Undersecretary to the Minister. Your father had quite a number of votes for Minister, he is known as a decent, hard-working man within the Ministry, despite his lack of promotions. With his experience with Muggles and the belief of equality between so-called pure-bloods and half-bloods, it was a smart move on the part of Ms. Bones to offer him the position. The meeting your parents had today was with the new Minister, to accept the position and receive a sustaining vote from the Wizengamot.”



“I bet Percy loved that.” There was a hint of satisfaction in Ron’s voice. Harry had been thinking the same thing.



“Percy is another matter, Ron. One in which I am not qualified nor have the business to address.” Lupin gave Ron a reproachful look.



“So, Dad’s the new Senior Undersecretary.” Ginny stammered, “And Voldemort doesn’t like it.”



“Yes, it would be fair to say that Ginny.” With that, Lupin rose from the chair and started to pace in front of them, directing his comments to the floor. “Voldemort lost an unwilling ally in Fudge whose blind eye to his return provided cover for him, while he was implementing his strategy to take control. Now that Voldemort’s return has been accepted by the community-in-large as fact, it makes it harder for him and his followers to operate. What better way to cause confusion and mistrust than to take out a newly elected governing body and intimidate other potential candidates.”



No one said a word as Lupin paused, formulating how he was going to proceed. “When we returned from your birthday parties,” Lupin pointed his finger absently from Harry and Ginny, “all was quiet, we had not heard of any plans of attack from our sources within the Order. Three hours later, we were alerted that Death Eaters arrived at the home of Ms. Bones; the same time intruders had entered the Burrow. Apparently Fred and George knew moments before the rest of us did and were the first to arrive at the scene.”



“But if they couldn’t see us, any of us-“ Harry managed to spit out before Lupin cut him off again.



“If they destroyed the house with all of you in it, it doesn’t matter if they could see you or not, the out come would have been the same for all of you, serious injury or death.”



Lupin took his seat again as the others watched. He could see their minds working, putting the attack on the Burrow in context with the new information.



The guilt that Harry had been feeling swelled inside and spilled out his mouth.



“So, it’s still my fault... that we were in danger, that I put all of us in harms way, that George is at St. Mungos... If I hadn’t suggested it to Dumbledore we’d-“



“Harry, don’t blame yourself,” Lupin leaned forward onto his knees and looked directly at Harry, his eyebrows raised. “If Dumbledore did not think that it was important for you to be at the Burrow, then he would not have arranged for all of you to go.”



“But-“ Harry was again cut off. He was getting quite annoyed with it actually as he felt his temper rise.



“Lupin’s right, Harry.” It was Ron.



“Dumbledore knows what he’s doing.” Hermione continued.



“It’s not your fault,” Ginny now joined in with a nervous laugh, “you’ve been marked with your scar Harry, we’ve been marked with Weasley-red hair.”



Everyone was silent as the words Ginny spoke sunk in. She had struck a chord. She had struck the unavoidable truth of the situation the Weasley family now met head on.



“Now then,” Lupin said as he stood up yet again, “I’m sure your parents will be less than thrilled with the information I have just relayed to you.” With a small laugh he added, “I may not have a scar on my forehead or Weasley-red hair, but I’ll no doubt be marked by Mrs. Weasley myself when she finds out.”



“Oh, yeah thanks for filling us in.” Said Ron as he got up, grabbed his backpack and made for the stairs.



“Thanks.” Hermione and Ginny made an attempt to sound grateful, as they too took their things and headed upstairs, leaving only Lupin and Harry left in the parlor.



“I’m sure George will be fine, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything.” Lupin said reassuringly to the others as they climbed out of sight.



Harry continued to stare into the flames. He had appreciated the words in which is friends had said in regard to his feelings of liability, but the guilt still lingered.



“Look Harry, they’re right you know.” Lupin was standing in front of him, his hands tucked into the pockets of his tattered sweater, “It’s not your fault. This is war. This is what happens. Like it or not, some things, most things, are out of your control. Mr. Weasley knew that accepting this position could, as Miss Weasley put it so eloquently, mark him and his family openly against Voldemort.”



“Still, if I hadn’t asked Dumbledore to go-“ Guilt was oozing again from Harry’s lips.



“Harry, what did you learn this week at the Burrow? What did you gain?” Lupin was daring him to think past self-reprehension.



“Well, I talked a lot with Ron, him and Hermione have an understanding. I’ve gotten to know Ginny better and,” Not sure if he should tell Lupin about the incident in the garden before the Death Eaters arrived, continued. “I just don’t think that it was worth the risk, worth George almost getting killed or anyone else for that matter, not worth it for me.”



“A witch once told me that sometimes it’s by the small and seemingly insignificant moments in life our lives in which great things are born and the tribulations we face, no matter how hopeless, are brought to pass. Remember that Harry.” Lupin’s eyes sparkled as he smiled at a confused looking Harry, leaving that morsel of advice he joined Tonks in the kitchen.







............................................................................







Ginny, Ron, and Hermione had all been waiting for Harry up in his and Ron’s room. Harry told them that Lupin was just trying to make sure that he didn’t feel at fault for what happened, as that summed up the conversation best.



They had all stayed awake to hear word from someone - anyone about George’s condition until Tonks ushered the girls out and back to bed a few hours later. Sometime in the night, he and Ron fell asleep. Harry didn’t sleep well, though he doubted that he was the only one.



“Oy! Wake up!”



Harry reached blindly for his glasses on the nightstand before opening his eyes. There were three blurry redheads in the bed next to him. One was Ron, the other Fred...



“George!” Harry sat up on the edge of his bed as he pushed his glasses on. “You’re okay?”



“Oh yeah, you can’t get rid of a Weasley that easily you know!” George answered.



“You’ve been trying to get rid of Ron for the last five years.” Fred said seriously as Ron glared at him.



“And had a valiant go at it too, but even you, the mighty Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Lived, haven’t been successful yet.” George smiled.



“George!” Ginny burst into the room and flung herself around him as he turned his other shoulder, bracing for the impact.



“Hey, don’t send me back to St. Mungos, Ginny. I just got back.” George said through clenched teeth.



Harry could see a slight bulge under his shirt where he assumed a dressing covered his wound. George had not been completely healed.



“Oh, I’m sorry... I’m just glad you’re all right.” Ginny took what little room there was left on Ron’s bed as she sat between Fred and George.



Hermione, unnoticed by Ginny’s excitement, had settled down on the foot of Harry’s bed. “What did they say it was? Do they know what spell you were hit with?”



“Na, it was a nasty one though.” George answered shaking his head.



“I think we should all invest in dragon-hide clothing, make a fashion statement you know, it seems to attract the girls- you could use it Ron.” Fred elbowed the point home into Ron’s ribs. “You need all the help you can get.”



“Not that we need the extra help, mind you.” George ran his fingers through his hair, tossing his head dramatically as he spurred a cheeky smile that would have won any Witch Weekly contest.



“I’m sure you two have throngs of women goggling after you.” Ginny snorted as she rolled her eyes.



“Good morning, all of you.” Mr. Weasley stood in the doorway looking tired but cheery nonetheless.



Ginny cleared her throat importantly, “Good morning Mr. Senior Undersecretary to the Minister.”



“You’ve heard?” Mr. Weasley looked slightly surprised.



“Lupin told us last night.” Ron said, his hand still clutching his ribs. “You’re not mad, are you?”



“No, we were meaning to tell you later, didn’t want to ruin Harry and Ginny’s day. Unfortunately, Voldemort thought sooner was better.” Mr. Weasley turned to leave before he added, “Best not mention it to Mum... She’s got breakfast ready. Oh, she wants you to behave yourself George, don’t do anything you don’t feel up to...etc. etc. etc.” Finished Mr. Weasley as he swatted lazily at an invisible fly, smiled and headed downstairs.







Breakfast was agreeable, although Harry’s body wasn’t too excited about being put to use after a long night. Looking around the table, he saw that everyone looked like he felt; tired, relieved, and worried, covered by a hint of excitement. Mrs. Weasley set the dishes on the table before joining the rest of the group. Lupin was seated near the middle of the table, Harry was sure that he was keeping his distance from Mrs. Weasley.



After eating in relative silence, only making light conversation between bites, Mr. Weasley began to tell them about Fudge, the new Minister of Magic, his promotion to Senior Undersecretary and the subsequent Death Eater attack. It was a brilliant performance by all, Ginny’s gasps of ‘oh, Dad...no!’ followed by Hermione’s usual questions and Ron’s fervent “Bloody Hell!” The best Harry could do was muster up an _expression of what he thought was troubled concern mingled with surprise but he caught a split-second eye roll from Ginny and knew his acting skills were left wanting. By the time they were finished, Mrs. Weasley, from the looks of it, had been hoodwinked. Only Lupin’s surprise at the melodrama that played out before him would have given it away.



As the last bits of toast were nibbled on, Professor McGonagall swept into the kitchen with a stack of letters in her hand.



“I thought I’d deliver these myself.” She said while handing out each envelope. “These are for you, Mr. Weasley and you, Miss Granger.... there you go Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley.”



Harry suddenly felt every bite of breakfast hit his stomach at once. He looked at Ron, who was staring the top envelope in an effort to read the contents before he opened it. Harry knew that Divination wasn’t Ron’s or his, as a matter-of-fact, most successful subject, but admired the attempt he was putting forth. He then turned to Hermione who looked a bit unnerved as well when she whispered, “O.W.L.s”.



“Well, go on you three! We’re all waiting.” Mrs. Weasley seemed to be the only person who looked forward to hearing the results.



“Give them a minute, Molly.” Mr. Weasley leaned back into his chair as he wiped his glasses clean with the edge of his jumper.



“Look, I’m sure that you all have done excellent in Defense Against the Dark Arts thanks to the extra-curricular efforts of a certain illegal society. I would hate for you to miss my N.E.W.T. classes.” Lupin said reassuringly, but it was obvious by the lack of reaction he got that they didn’t hear a word he’d said.



“Well, best to get it over with.” Hermione had run her finger under the seal, opening her letter.



Everyone was watching her for visual confirmation, as she did not read it aloud. It must have been good, Harry thought, her face relaxed when she finished the letter.



Refusing to bow to the goads from Fred and George, Hermione asked, “Are you going to open yours or not?”



“Yeah, we’ll get right on it then. Shall we do it together, Harry?” Ron swallowed hard, he was begging for a way out.



“On the count of three then.” Harry replied, grateful not to be the center of attention as Hermione had been.



“One” They said in unison, “two, three.”



He could hear Ron rip his letter open as Harry did the same to his. Well, I can’t change it now, he thought. His eyes raced through the opening remarks and landed on what mattered most, his scores. He scanned his marks quickly, looking for any P’s. To his relief, there were none. Harry had honestly been worried about Potions, but saw that he earned, amazingly enough, an Outstanding. If it wasn’t for help from Professor McGonagall and Hermione, he felt surely that it would’ve been a P. The brightest spots were the O’s he received for Care of Magical Creatures and Defense Against the Dark Arts. Concluding that his results were better than he expected, he looked up at Ron who was still reading his scores. Harry could tell because his lips were mouthing soundless words as his eyes darted from side to side and up and down.



When Ron had finished he looked up at Harry and asked with a blank face, “Well?”



“Good, and you?” Harry wasn’t about to reveal anything except for a suppressed grin.



“Good,” Ron grinned as well, then he and Harry turned towards Hermione, expecting her to go on about all of her O’s.



“Hermione?” Ron asked.



“Good.” She flushed slightly and repeated, “Good.”



“Oh, come off it!” Fred smacked the edge of the table. He and George were disappointed at the lack of information. “Good doesn’t tell us anything.”



“Mind yourselves! They’ll tell us if and when they want. It’s none of your business.” Mrs. Weasley admonished the twins, “Except for you, Ron. Hand them here.”



Reluctantly, Ron handed over his results to Mrs. Weasley, afraid that she might read them aloud to everyone. His mother and father leaned together to view its contents at the same time.



“Good.” Mr. Weasley smiled back at Ron, he looked pleased.



“Good!” Mrs. Weasley was positively beaming as Ron’s face went red.



“Well, it’s all good then!” Lupin chuckled with everyone else in the room except for an agitated set of twins.



“Thanks for bringing these, Professor, among other things.” Harry said to her as she took a sip of tea.



“You’re quite welcome, Potter. I’m assuming my vow to you and that Umbridge woman is still in effect?” She winked at Harry and took another sip.



“Yep, I’m afraid so.” Harry smirked. He felt a wicked satisfaction that he, along with Professor McGonagall, continued to defy Umbridge with his success whether she knew it or not.



Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione opened the rest of their letters, they were the usual ‘Welcome Back to Hogwarts’ and supply lists. School was just around the corner and more than ever he looked forward to going back.







........................................................................







The days seemed to pass in a blur since their return to Grimmuald Place, but Harry couldn’t put his finger on exactly what is was that caused them to do so, they hadn’t been doing much of anything in particular. They celebrated Ginny’s birthday by teasing her relentlessly. She received gifts of practical jokes instigated by her brothers that had made for an interesting day, even Mrs. Weasley and Lupin got in on the pranks. Ron and Hermione always disappeared in the late afternoons; Harry decided that he wouldn’t ask until they were ready to tell him.



Unfortunately, there were no grounds to walk so he couldn’t ask Ginny for a turn, which he missed more than he thought he would. They hadn’t talked privately since his birthday. Considering he had unintentionally infringed on her presence, which she forcefully put a stop too, Ginny seemed to have forgotten the whole incident. At least she didn’t say or do anything that would give Harry reason to believe that she’d figured out what really happened. However, when Ron and Hermione left, Ginny, more often than not, seemed too preoccupied with something else.



‘Just talk with her you big dummy.’ Harry thought one afternoon as he slouched on the parlor sofa, watching Ginny contemplate what to write next on her ever-increasing parchment as she sprawled out on the hearthrug.



“Miss Weasley?” Harry said sitting up properly, taking up the ritual beginnings of their walks.



“Hmm?” Ginny squeaked, still brushing the feather tip on her cheek as her eyes were still glazed over in thought.



“Miss Weasley,” Harry didn’t know what to say next. He was flying by the seat of his pants, hoping that something would just come to him. “-er, would you like to doing something- together?”



‘That was brilliant, way to go!’ Harry kicked himself as he looked to the dingy white ceiling. He could hear Ginny’s quill scratching the parchment.



Without being distracted from what she was doing, Ginny replied, “Umm, not right now. Thanks though.”



“Oh, sure. I can see that you’re busy, sorry.” Harry was forcing himself to be nonchalant in his reply, feeling a bit disheartened by her lack of interest. “Are you doing a summer assignment?”



“No, I’m writing to Dean actually.” Ginny was still engrossed with what Harry now knew was a love letter.



“Oh yeah, I forgot you had a boyfriend.” Harry eeked out a feeble laugh.



Ginny made a loopy, swirling pattern at the end of the parchment and then proceeded to roll it up. “We haven’t written much this summer. With the owls being restricted on how much they come and go, not to mention the fact that I’m here and things have been.... a bit crazy to say the least.” Harry watched her as she capped the inkbottle. “We have a lot to catch up on.”



“Yeah, I suppose you would.” His answer was automatic and void of any thought. “I bet you’re excited to be back together at Hogwarts, then.”



“Of course, why wouldn’t I be?” Ginny smiled as she got up off the floor, “Aren’t you excited go back.”



“Anything is better then being cooped up here. Well, apart from the Dursleys that is.” Harry slouched back down into the cushions, answering more to himself.



Ginny wasn’t interested in his reply either, “Harry? Do you mind if I use Hedwig?”



“Sure, why not. She’ll enjoy a chance to get out. I’ll go get her.” He wasn’t sure why he felt so glum.



“I’ll go with you then.” Ginny beamed.



They entered his room to find Hedwig fast asleep. Harry woke her up gently, but she still looked miffed at the disturbance.



“I need you to deliver something for Ginny.” He told her.



Ginny reached out to Hedwig as she held out her leg in acceptance. When she had finished attaching the roll, Ginny stroked her soft feathers and whispered “thanks”.



Hedwig hopped onto Harry’s outstretched arm. He had been hoping earlier that another temperamental female would have laid claim to it this afternoon, someone other than his owl. Harry walked Hedwig to the window and opened it up; she took off with one strong swoop of her wings. Harry leaned into the casement, resting his head against the hard surface of the wood moldings. Ginny was standing next to him, so close that he could feel her breath against his neck; he could sense her over his shoulder as they both watched his snowy owl swallowed up in the distance against the azure colored sky.



“Thanks again.” Ginny called back as she exited the room.



“No problem.” Harry said as he continued to gaze out the window. He couldn’t help but feel an inexplicable sense of loss marked by Hedwig’s departure.





........................................................................









A buzz of excitement radiated inside the house as the early morning light filtered through the curtains of Grimmauld Place. Today the four of them would be heading back to Hogwarts. Mrs. Weasley, with help from the twins, had managed to get all the supplies they needed from Diagon Alley. Ginny was vocal about her disappointment of not being able to visit Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. Harry, Ron and Hermione felt the same way but thought better of provoking Mrs. Weasley’s wrath with constant pleas to go.



Harry was excited to play Quidditch again, provided that the life-long ban ended when Professor Umbridge left as Ginny suggested it would last spring. He looked forward to homework, schedules, and the D.A., not that he was going to let Hermione in on that secret. It would help take his mind off an impending future to which he was almost certain of an unhappy outcome either way.



Harry noticed that Ron and Hermione had a touch of that ‘old magic’ back. She had been pestering him to remember to pack this or that and kept checking in on his progress regularly. Ron was agitated and rightly so, he didn’t seem to mind telling her off a bit. Harry wasn’t an expert on relationships by any stretch. He needed to be told just like Ron, about everything concerning girls’ odd behavior by Hermione. But thought their sudden outbreak of rows had something to do with returning back to Hogwarts where their ‘understanding’ would be thrust into the general school population. Harry didn’t see why it would matter much, but tried to be sympathetic all the same.



It was a quarter to ten before everyone was loaded up into the Ministry car Mr. Weasley had procured to take them to Kings Cross. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Moody and Lupin accompanied them. They had some traffic to work around; a Muggle bus had jumped the curb while taking a sharp corner and took out what Harry had to explain was a fire hydrant. Muggles have been known to rubberneck, but Mr. Weasley took the cake.



They arrived a few minutes early giving them enough time to store their things and return for proper good-byes. Harry made to give a hug to Lupin, when he laughed at his gesture.



“Harry, I’m coming with you.” Lupin patted a trunk on the trolley. “You don’t think I’d bring all of this just to see you off, do you?”



Harry was taken aback. He couldn’t help the look of mild confusion and shock on his face. Was he going back to Hogwarts to keep a closer eye on him?



Hermione, Ron, and Ginny had filled the gaps around them, all looking perplexed at Lupin’s smile and Harry’s gaped mouth.



“Professor Lupin?” Hermione asked.



“Yes, it’s Professor Lupin.” He replied.



“He’s our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” Ginny said, pleased that she was the only one who had paid attention, “didn’t you hear him say that he hoped to see you three in his N.E.W.T. class? Oh, that’s right, you were too busy with your O.W.L. results to notice.”



“Bloody hell! That’s terrific!” Ron was first to offer his approval and congratulations.



Hermione, however, was critical when she tentively asked, “What about your condition, you know? I suppose some parents are still-“



Lupin’s smile faded somewhat as he knew Hermione’s questions were valid concerns. “The Headmaster has gone to great lengths to assure everyone that it will by no means endanger the students lives by retaining me for the position. Professor Snape will continue brewing my monthly cocktail and in my absence Mad-Eye Moody has graciously accepted as a substitute.” Lupin scanned for the whereabouts of the old ex-Auror and added in a whisper, “Apparently he was rather upset that he never earned the right to be called Professor Moody.”



They all chuckled but stopped abruptly when they heard the familiar ‘clunk’ behind them.



“You better not be giving away any secrets Remus.” Moody growled as a jagged smile broke across his disfigured face.



“Well, were glad to have you back then, Professor!” Hermione said quickly as she shook Lupin’s hand in a very business-like manner, not sure if the future Professor Moody was kidding around or not.



“Everything checks out, better get a move on.” Moody said as he ushered them to the train. “Constant vigilance.”



Ginny, Ron and Hermione left to go back to the compartment. Harry hung back and helped Lupin carry his trunk off the trolley and load it on board the Hogwarts Express.



“We’re glad you’re coming back, I’m glad you’re coming back. You were the best...” Harry was finding it hard to tell Lupin exactly what it was he meant to say.



“I understand, Harry.” His new guardian had a knack for knowing just what to say and how to say it. “Don’t worry, I won’t cramp your style.”



Lupin entered an empty compartment and motioned Harry to shut the door behind him.



“You know that there are other reasons for my presence at Hogwarts this year and that it doesn’t have anything to do with teaching.”



“I know, you’re there to watch me.” Harry replied as he scooted the trunk under the seat.



“Not so much as to watch you, Harry, but its part of the job description. I want you to know that I’m here for you, if you want, when others can’t be.” He gave Harry a searching look, making sure that he understood what he was talking about.



“I think I understand.” Harry said as he made for the door.



Lupin sighed with wry face, “I’m sure your friends are waiting for you, enjoy your trip.”



Harry slid the door open, then turned around to face the now sitting Professor, “Thanks.” He said sincerely and left to find the others.



It wasn’t long before he ran into fellow housemates and D.A. members as he maneuvered through the crowded train corridor. All asked about his summer in which he replied with the usual “it was good, and yours?” in an effort to avoid talking about what really happened. Harry made it back to the compartment they had reserved towards the end of the train. Occupying the benches were Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood and Ginny.



Neville and Luna seemed to be immersed in a recent copy of The Quibbler, only noticing his presence when Ginny said hello.



“Oh hi, Harry.” Neville said, scooting away from Luna.



“Harry.” Luna batted her eyelashes in her usually dreamy way as she looked over her magazine. “Survived the summer I see.”



“Just barely, though.” Harry answered off-hand as he took a seat next to Ginny. If any one else besides his best friends could understand what he was up against, it was these two.



Harry seemed to notice that Neville had changed over the summer holidays. His face, though still round, now had distinct features. His eyes seemed to be set a little deeper, his nose more prominent and a jaw line had emerged from his once boyish looks. Harry was reminded of the picture of Frank Longbottom. Seeing Neville’s transformation, Harry suddenly woke up to the realization that they were all getting older, that life was moving forward.



“You alright, Harry?” Ginny asked him with slight concern as she watched Harry’s glazed-over eyes.



“Oh yeah, just thinking.” He shook his thoughts from his mind.



“Don’t jump the gun, Harry. We’ll be thinking again soon enough.” Neville laughed as he rejoined Luna and The Quibbler.



Harry returned the laugh, then fell silent once again.



“Ron and Hermione are at the usual Prefects meeting. I imagine that they’ll be back soon.” Ginny said while watching the city landscape roll by; stroking a complacent Crookshanks who had found refuge in her lap.



“Why are you here?” Harry instantly regretted his inquiry.



“What do you mean?” She turned to ask.



“Why aren’t you with Dean?”



“Oh, he’s with his friends catching up on summer news. Boys will be boys whether I’m there or not, so I’ll see him later.” Ginny seemed perfectly okay to take the sidelines to Deans’ friends. Harry on the other hand was torn between anger at her boyfriend’s lack of interest towards her and being grateful that he did.



“Do you not want me here?” She asked him flat out. Crookshanks gave a growl of irritation as Ginny stroked him a little too roughly.



“No...” Harry could tell she wasn’t happy with his first answer when he realized that she had taken it the wrong way. Neville and Luna surfaced from behind the magazine to watch what would happen next. “I mean yes.”



Backpedaling he continued, “Of course I don’t mind you here, why would I want you to go?”



Harry looked nervously to Neville and Luna. Neville shrugged and shook his head slightly telling him that he didn’t know what to say either. Luna was dreamy as usual, no help there. He dared to look back at Ginny, whose color was on the rise.



“Hey Neville... Luna.” Ron and Hermione saved the day.



They both said a quick ‘hi’ before retreating from what could become a blazing row.



“What’s wrong with you two?” Ron asked Ginny and Harry as he sat between them.

Hermione took a seat next to Harry.



“Nothing.” Harry answered before Ginny let loose.



“He said that he didn’t want me here. Then tried to get out of it.” Ginny was vehement.



“I’m sure you misunderstood, Ginny.” Hermione made an attempt to defuse the situation. “Isn’t that right, Harry?”



“Yeah, it is.” Neville answered for Harry, “He wasn’t being mean.”



“She didn’t ask you Neville!” Ginny rounded on him as Neville recoiled, then on Harry, expecting his answer.



“Look.” Harry put his hands up in defense, “I just asked why she wasn’t with her boyfriend, that’s all.”



Ron shuttered at the word ‘boyfriend’ but took control. “I would have wondered the same thing, Ginny.”



“Figured you’d take his side.” Ginny returned to glaring out the window.



Harry turned to Hermione who mouthed ‘Leave her alone’. It was advice that both he and Ron took.



“Is the Stupid-Six now down to the Filthy-Five?” Sneered Malfoy who was standing in the doorway. It had become a rite of passage, if you will, over the years to deal with his snide remarks on the way to and from Hogwarts.



“We can lower it even further if you’d like.” Malfoy was twirling his wand between his fingers.



“Shut up Malfoy.” Neville stood up before anyone could stop him.



Harry noticed that it wasn’t just Neville who had changed over the summer.



“Oh, still feeling brave I see. It’s a shame that you’re too much of an idiot to realize you’ll never amount to much of anything”. Malfoy’s eyes lit in malice. “Father said that you had a taste of what your parents, the losers that they were, couldn’t handle. Or did you forget about that too?”



Experience told Ron and Harry to jump up and restrain Neville who was shaking in anger.



“Shove it Malfoy!” Hermione got up and stood between the struggling boys and Malfoy and his cronies Crabbe and Goyle. “Your father, all of your fathers, are imprisoned.”



“Are they?” Malfoy was cool as he took a firm hold of his wand. “It would figure that this Mudblood is capable to spreading lies.”



Harry felt a surge of anger race through his heart; it had nothing to do with his scar. Something had hit Ron, Harry and Neville who stumbled as one to the side. Harry stuck out his arm to prevent them from falling on Luna.



Ginny had emerged from the behind the group and stood only inches from Malfoy. She was livid.



“Ginny, No!” Harry called after her; he had a feeling of what was on her mind.



“Get out.” Ginny’s voice was surprisingly calm which had the effect that she wanted.



Malfoy looked a bit unnerved, he along with everyone else, was expecting her to roar.



Reining in his courage, Malfoy whispered so that only Ginny could hear. “Daddy can’t save you, he’s still pathetic, your family is pathetic, you’re pathetic.”



Ginny did not flinch. Ron and Harry had released Neville who was no longer struggling. Everyone was stunned at the spectacle unfolding before them. Nobody knew what to expect next.



Malfoy eyed Ginny from the bottom up, stepped closer and then curled his lip in delight. Leaning his body into hers he took a deep breath from her neck, his lips grazing her ear. “You could be useful to me.” He hissed as he looked directly at Harry over her shoulder, then backed away to indulge himself in her fear.



This time it was Ginny who was knocked to the side as a blur of black flashed in front of her and a fist collided with Malfoy’s jaw. Ginny recovered her balance quickly to see Harry standing over Malfoy who was leaning on his knees, propped up against the corridor wall in an effort to stand. Crabbe and Goyle stood back, afraid of the rage burning in Harry’s eyes.



Touching his fingers to his split bottom lip and pulling a glistening strand of blood from his mouth, Malfoy cursed, “You’ll pay for that, you’ll all pay for that, for everything. Mark my words Potter, they’re as good as dead - she’s dead.” Malfoy spat blood at Harry’s feet before getting up and walking away, his cronies in tow.



Hermione took Ginny by the shoulders and sat her down next to Ron whose anger fell as his concern for his sister over-rode it.



“What did he say, Ginny, what did he say to you? Her brother asked.



“Nothing worth repeating.” There was finality in her voice that told them not to ask again.



Neville returned to his seat to hear Luna’s whisper ‘You are brave, you know.’



Harry stood there in the doorway, unable to move. He had absorbed the poison that Malfoy poured into her ear, he had felt the shiver Ginny gave off and it made him sick.



A/N: Kudos to Whizzbee and Bogus! Again, thanks for reading. Up next, Two Days Down & To The Right.
Two Days Down & To The Right by PatronyBologna
Chapter 7


Two Days Down And To The Right




The cloud of anxiety enshrouding the occupants of the Great Hall marred the welcoming feast despite its usual splendor and superb dining. The Sorting Hat sung another warning, ‘Stand together, united and strong or with broken allegiances, alone we will fall.’ Some of the first years looked downright petrified to be in Hogwarts, let alone be sorted into one of its four houses. Hermione said that one of them, a short, bushy-haired brunette, who slightly resembled herself at eleven, had thrown up into one of the urns that lined the walls at various intervals.



The Potions Master, Professor Snape, had regained his position as Harry’s most despised professor as he surveyed the head table. He was relived to see that Hagrid wasn’t nursing any visible wounds brought on by his brother, Grawp. The familiar faces of Order members, especially Lupin’s, affirmed the comfort he felt at being back.



The crowd of returning students looked slightly better than the first years. A lot had happened over the summer that had ties directly to Hogwarts and their students. Everyone in the wizarding world knew that Ms. Amelia Bones, Susan Bones’ aunt, was the new Minister and that Ron and Ginny Weasley were the children of the new Undersecretary to the Minister.



Word had traveled, no doubt with the help of the Daily Prophet, that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his loyal Death Eaters had attacked their homes. Everyone also knew that Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle all had Death Eater fathers who were caught at the Ministry and briefly imprisoned in Azkaban until their master released them and sent them into hiding. Surprisingly, the Slytherin stooges found little support even within their own house.



It wasn’t until that night in the common room that Hermione voiced her concerns about having Crabbe, Goyle, and especially Malfoy back at school.



“I trust Dumbledore, but I just don’t trust Malfoy.” She said as she was reacquainted with her chair by the fireplace as Crookshanks nestled in her lap.



“Since when did we ever trust Malfoy?” Ron leaned back against Hermione’s chair and stretched out his legs to warm his feet by the fire.



“No,” Harry looked up from the couch at his two best friends. “He’s dangerous.”



Hermione shifted uncomfortably as she spoke. “Malfoy’s always been dangerous, Harry, everything he’s done from now to the moment we got here six years ago. He has been nothing but trouble.”



“That was nothing,” Harry said as Ron and Hermione turned toward him - both knew that there was more tell. “He’s planning something.”



Hermione rushed out her questions, “What is it? How do you know?”



“I don’t know exactly, just a gut feeling.” Harry tried to look as innocent as possible, it was another half-truth.



They had all returned to gaze at the fire, making assumptions in their own minds as to what Malfoy could be planning next. Harry remembered seeing Sirius’ head dancing in the flames, wishing he had his godfather back. Though Lupin’s good advice and loving support was welcomed, it lacked the irreverence and daring fire Sirius had possessed. Harry thought of what Sirius’ advice would have been in regards to Malfoy’s slur to Ginny. He grinned to himself at what he did to Malfoy’s jaw, which actions, he imagined, would have brought a reprimand and a smile from his godfather.



‘Where’s Ginny?’ Harry thought to himself searching the now flooded common room for locks of red, ‘Where is she?’



Harry mentally checked the last time he saw her, it was at dinner and she was with Dean. The thought of Dean, however much of a nice guy, D.A. member and fellow Gryffindor he was, made Harry feel that Ginny was in less than capable hands should Malfoy try anything. Reluctantly, he had to respect Ginny and Dean as a couple, no matter how he disliked the match. At least Ron was on his side - Harry could take a small bit of satisfaction that Ron disapproved of his sister’s choice in boyfriends just as much as he did.





It was an early breakfast the next morning. Hermione had made Ron and Harry promise her before bed last night to start the new school year off right with a good breakfast and careful planning. The need for a well-balanced breakfast wasn’t hard to convince the boys of. Harry and Ron dressed quickly, realizing that they only had a few minutes to meet up with Hermione in the common room. If they were to start the year off right, it wouldn’t help to get themselves on her bad side.



Ron was the first to fly down the stairs and smacked straight into Hermione, knocking her backwards with a solid thud as her rear-end met the stone floor.



“Oh no, I’m so sorry ‘Mione.” Ron whispered, afraid of her approaching wrath. “Are you hurt?”



Ron bent over Hermione, gently grabbed under her arms and lifted her completely up off the floor resting her softly on her feet again. Harry had joined them now at the bottom of the staircase.



“I’m fine, what’s your hurry?” A blushing Hermione asked.



“Well, we just didn’t want to be late.” Ron voice was still quiet in apology, his eyes studying her face.



“We slept in a bit and didn’t want to disappoint you on the first day, Hermione. After all, we made a promise.” Harry smirked as he walked around the pair and headed toward the portrait door. “I’ll meet you two down there.”



Harry made his way to the Great Hall. Upon entering, he noticed that only a handful of other students had roused themselves to an early start. The head table, however, was fully staffed. Dumbledore was in discussion with McGonagall and oddly enough, Snape and Lupin were conversing without the telltale signs of blatant animosity. Harry’s legs had carried him instinctively to the Gryffindor table as he watched the latter pair, when he noticed that they had stopped.



“What’s got you out of bed so early?” Ginny asked Harry before he had time to register who it was he was standing next to.



“Um, Hermione.” He stood there wondering the same thing about her.



“Well, have a seat.” Ginny offered him the space next to her.



“Uh, are you sure?” Harry looked at the wooden bench as if it was covered in razor sharp spikes. He learned his lesson from the day before; he was not to ask about the whereabouts of Dean, even though he knew that he was still asleep in the dorm.



“Why wouldn’t I be? You’re not harboring some contagious deadly disease, are you?” Ginny looked at him rather pathetically, “Oh, just sit down already.”



Harry stepped over the bench and sat a good arm’s length away from Ginny.



“I’m not contagious either, you know.” Ginny grabbed a pastry from the table and examined the oozing berry filling. “Where are the others?”



Harry let out a laugh as he recounted how Ron knocked over Hermione in his haste to keep his promise.



“They should be here soon, I didn’t want to stick around for Ron’s apology.” Harry winked at Ginny to convey the full meaning of ‘Ron’s apology’.



“My what?” Ron and Hermione had joined them at the other side of the table.



“Your apology, mate.” Harry tried and failed miserably to hide his grin.



Soon the Great Hall was buzzing with students as the morning rays scattered a rainbow of colors across the stone floor as it shone through massive stained glass windows. Ron, who had been eating the entire time, pushed his plate aside and asked what had been on Harry’s mind since he got there.



“Where’s Dean?” Ron rolled eyes as he inquired of his sister.



“Oh, well I couldn’t sleep any longer so I thought I’d have a nice quiet breakfast by myself, that is until Harry here ruined it all.” Ginny raised her glass of pumpkin juice and took a long draw before she would have to say anything more.



“Hey, you asked me to join you!” Harry squabbled in his defense, watching a trickle of juice escape the corner of her mouth as she suppressed her satisfaction of getting him riled.



When she had finished off the glass in a less than ladylike manner, Dean had joined the group, and planted himself right between her and Harry.



“Good morning, Ginny.” Dean’s _expression was the only happy one within the foursome as the others, Ginny included, looked put out.



“Good morning, Dean.” Ginny recovered quickly, hoping that he didn’t notice her momentary displeasure in wedging himself between her and Harry.



Breakfast was almost over when Professor McGonagall passed out this year’s course schedule. Hermione, as always, looked it over in excitedly, where Ron and Harry tried to contain their feelings of dread. If O.W.L.’s and Hermione had taught them anything, it was that it was better to put forth a bit more effort than to cram it all in at once.



All three started the day with Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. It wasn’t so bad as Monday mornings go; it could have been Double Potions with Snape.



“Blimey, Ginny.” Ron sighed after Ginny had told them of her immediate fate.



“Don’t feel too sorry for her, we’ve got Double Potions on Friday afternoon.” Harry said thoroughly depressed.


It was better in his mind to start a week off badly than it was to end in badly. Friday afternoons should be filled with weekend anticipation and distractions, not the dank gloominess of the dungeons and snide remarks from Snape.



Harry was pleased to see that his schedule was pretty light and Ron and Hermione would be with him most every step of the way. Ron was ecstatic that there were only four classes a day - though some were double sessions, it didn’t seem to dampen his excitement. All three had ‘personal study time’ each day along.



“Yes, free time!” Ron excitement swelled, only to be punctured by Hermione.



“Good, I was expecting the this, sixth and seventh year students need the extra allotted time because of the N.E.W.T. workload.” Hermione looked pathetically at Ron’s fallen smile. “We’ll have to wait and see what homework is assigned first before I can make schedules for us.”



Harry noticed that he had special time set aside for Occlumency with Dumbledore twice a week after his last class of the day, Tuesdays and Thursdays. ‘What a relief.’ He thought to himself, surely it was better to be with Dumbledore than Snape.



“Oh, sorry Harry.” Dean muttered as he got up from the table. Dean had bumped him as he swung his leg out from the bench.



“No problem.” Harry did his best not to sound annoyed, “See you in class.”



“Yeah, see ya.” Dean then turned to Ginny. “Come on Ginny, I’ll walk you back to the tower to get your things.”



“Thanks Dean.” Ginny replied sweetly, grabbed the last slice of toast and headed with Dean towards the door.



“Oh, let’s get going, Harry. We promised Hermione here not to be late.” Ron rolled his eyes in her direction. “Can’t have a repeat of first year now can we?”



“No, we wouldn’t want that.” Harry smiled as he remembered being late for their very first Transfiguration lesson.



“Shall we Hermione?” Ron helped her up and together they left the Great Hall.







.........................................................................











“What a day.” Ron sighed as he threw himself down on the couch next to the fireplace.



He, Harry and Hermione had finished their last class for the day and had taken refuge in the common room; dinner was still two hours away.



“You didn’t expect it to be easy, Ronald?” Hermione sat down next to him with her Transfiguration book.



“No, of course not. I just thought we could ease into it.” He said as he let his head fall, resting on the back of the couch, staring at ceiling. “We’ve got enough homework to last us all week and it’s just the first day!”



“Stop whining, do you want to be an Auror or not?” Hermione dropped her opened book on his lap. “Here, start reading.”



“Harry, make her stop.” Ron pleaded.



Harry was sitting at a small table behind them. He had his books open and quill in hand but not one word was written upon the parchment.



“I’m afraid I can’t.” He sighed and scribbled a heading across the top.



The three worked on their assignments for the next hour and a half. Ron and Hermione, Harry noticed, worked quite well as a team. Their bickering was kept to a minimum and Ron’s complaints ended with his plea to Harry. The two would read a page or so together and then Ron would make a statement, Hermione either would agree or add another to as they wrote on their own parchments. Harry remembered how it was before, Ron would usually get frustrated and ask Hermione for her notes or she would correct his paper. Harry almost smudged a line across his own essay and gaped at the two heads in front of him. Ron had just corrected Hermione.



“What was that?” He asked rather shocked.



Ron and Hermione both looked over their shoulders at the same time, Ron was hiding a smirk as she replied breathlessly, “Well, he was right, and I was wrong.”



“What? Since when are you right, Ron, and Hermione isn’t?” Harry realized by the look on Ron’s face that it had come out wrong. “I mean it’s just that...”



“I know what you mean, Harry. I’ve been applying myself, despite my continued protests.” Ron gave Harry an incredulous look. “I know I don’t match up to the brilliance of Miss Hermione Granger, but I am a tad smarter than Crabbe and Goyle put together.”



Students started trickling into the common room as the last lessons were excused. Grateful for the interruption, Harry quickly changed the subject.



“I’m sorry Ron, I know you’re smart, no questions here. Look, it’ll be dinner soon and I can’t think with all this distraction.”



“Ah, food. That’s just what I need.” Ron smiled back at Harry. His apology was accepted.



“All right, but we’re back at it after dinner.” Hermione toned as she and Ron picked up the books, parchments, bottles and quills.



Harry too cleared off and stowed his books back into his bag. “Here, I’ll take them up for you, Ron.” He reached towards him and took Ron’s book bag.



“Thanks.” Ron replied. “We’ll wait for you here.”



Harry hollered back, “No, I’ll be a minute. Just go ahead.”



He headed up to the boys dormitory feeling remorseful of his comments towards Ron. He knew that Ron was by no means ignorant, quite the contrary, sometimes Harry felt like he was the most dimwitted of the three. Harry realized that Ron had indeed changed and thought that it had to do with whatever he and Hermione were meeting Dumbledore about. Curiosity wasn’t going to get the better of him, Harry decided, Ron would tell him when he was ready and he would just have to be patient and left it at that.





....................................................................









“Incoming.” Ginny looked towards the owl filled ceiling as the post was being delivered.



A tawny owl landed in front of Ron and waited impatiently for him to untie his letter. Ron took his time in eating the last bite of sausage before relieving the owl of his duty.



“Who’s it from?” Hermione leaned over as she tried deciphering whom the letter was from by the swirling green writing. “It looks official, it’s from school.”



“You didn’t get yourself booted out of being a prefect did you?” Ginny sounded too much like her mother, but laughed as Ron’s shocked face met hers.



“Uh..” Ron was utterly speechless and stared the envelope much like he had done to his O.W.L. results. Swallowing hard, he continued, “Maybe they made a mistake on my O.W.L.’s.”



“Of course not Ron, that was from the head of the Wizarding Examinations Authority, this is clearly from Hogwarts. Go on, open it.” Hermione was nudging her shoulder into his arm.



“Get it over with, whatever it is!” Harry interest was definitely piqued.



“Dear Mr. Weasley,” Ginny had Professor McGonagall’s stern voice, “It is our unfortunate duty to inform you that your skills will no longer will be needed in filling the position of Gryffindor Keeper. Last year’s dismal display...” Ginny stopped when Harry kicked her shin from underneath the table. Ron had gone ghostly white.



“Look, I’m sure it’s nothing mate. Don’t listen to her.” Harry tried to instill a shred of confidence while giving Ginny a chastising glance.



“Er- I gotta go. I’ll see you guys later.” Ron got up from the table so fast that it was like he was going to be sick; with the envelope in hand, he rushed out the door.



“No, leave him be Hermione.” Harry reached out across the table to grab Hermione’s sleeve before she could take another step. “He’ll be okay, whatever it is.”



“I’m sure it’s nothing, we just teased him a little too much is all.” Ginny said as she played with what was left of her pancake with her fork. “I shouldn’t have teased him about Quidditch.”



“Are you sure, Harry?” Hermione asked him, looking for reassurance.



“Yeah, I’m sure.”







Harry and Hermione didn’t see Ron again until their first class. It was double Charms and Professor Flitwick had them reviewing the charms they’d learned before the holidays. Everyone was so wrapped up in studying for his or her O.W.L. examinations that nobody, with the exception of Hermione, could remember what it was. Unfortunately it wasn’t a good time to talk with Ron as small objects kept crashing into each other and on to the floor as the students tried to properly charm them to dance. Ron, however, wasn’t exactly making himself available either; he and Neville had paired up on the other side of the room.



After Charms, they were heading out to Care of Magical Creatures. Ron left quickly after class with Neville by his side. Harry and Hermione followed at a distance as the sixth years crossed the sun drenched grounds.



“Whatever it is, it’s obvious he doesn’t want to talk about it.” Harry said to Hermione as they brought up the end of the line.



“We’ll just see about that.” Harry got the distinct impression that she had some bargaining power.



“Ello ‘Arry, ‘ermione.” Hagrid called over to them as they joined the circle of students.



They waved back but shrugged anticipating his next question. Hagrid saw that Ron wasn’t with them.



“All right now, I’m glad to see a few familiar faces. I’ve been sav’n the best creatures for your N.E.W.T.’s.” Hagrid clapped his massive hands together as he turned to a large metal crate.



Harry had an epiphany; this was the first Care of Magical Creatures class they had ever attended with out the degrading sneers from Malfoy and the rest of his Slytherin cronies. Sadly, it wasn’t a totally Slytherin-free class but those who attended chose to do so, so they couldn’t be too bad.



Hagrid pried the lid off the crate as a puff of vapor billowed over the edges. He asked the students to gather around as he set the lid on the grass with a faint hiss. Harry secretly hoped that it wasn’t another batch of Blast-Ended Skrewts. Knowing Hagrid, it was something just as dangerous though. Ooohs and aaahhs rose from the students as they peered on tiptoes into the crate.



“Harry, look! They’re beautiful.” Hermione’s cheeks and nose were rosy, she had seen the contents before he had made his way through the crowd.



As he joined the rest of the students who were now enveloped in a misty fog, Harry could see the delicate features of what he could only describe as miniature, frosted butterflies. They were indeed beautiful, in their own way of course. The creatures had elongated bodies of ice blue and their wings looked as if they were transparent except for the outside rims, where they sparkled with what he could only describe as tiny dewdrops. Harry had expected to see claws, fangs, or some other feature that would label them ‘dangerous’. The creatures clung to a large stalagmite-like icicle that had been growing up from the center of the box.



“Yeah, I’d thought you’d lik’em. Can anyone tell me what these beauties are?” Hagrid looked out over the sixth years to see if someone had inkling, surprisingly, it was Ron and not Hermione who had their hand raised.



“Ron? Do ya know what these are, then?” Hagrid asked as he encouraged Ron for his answer.



“Yeah, they’re Icelandic Glacialis Nex Butterflies.” He answered proudly, astonished by his own answer.



“Very good, Ron, ten points to Gryffindor. Now I don’t ‘suppose ya know what they’re for, do ya?” Hagrid had picked up one of them and rested it on his sleeve.



“Uh, I think they freeze things or make things burn.” Ron was looking down at the ground as he finished, he could feel Hermione and Harry’s eyes investigating him.



“Another ten points to Gryffindor! Right, as Ron was saying, these are Glacialis Nex Butterflies. They’re right useful, some say dangerous, but I think there’s nutt’n wrong with them.” Hagrid broke off an icicle from the lid and coaxed the butterfly off his sleeve.



“You see, they like the cold. These’ns here are young, that’s why they’re so small. Got special permission to bring’em back here to Hogwarts. We’ll be rais’n them over the term.”



The rest of class flew by, everyone was excited to learn more about the butterflies. Hagrid only let the class handle them when each student wore his or her dragon hide gloves. “They’ll start to freeze ya if yer hold’m too long.” He warned the class, “And whatever ya do, don’t go mak’n em mad.”



Hagrid heard the bell alerting him that class was over, then told the students to put their butterflies and icicles back inside the crate. Harry thought that they would get out of there without any homework, but was sadly mistaken when Hagrid assigned them a two foot long essay on the origins and uses of the creatures.



“At least it’s not due for another week.” Harry said as he turned to who he thought was Hermione but only found an empty space. Looking around the dispersing crowd of students, he saw that she had made her move and was bearing down on her prey.



Seeing that Hagrid was still busy moving the crate into the shade and that Hermione had caught a nervous looking Ron, Harry decided that he’d leave them alone and head up to the castle for lunch, secretly hoping to run into Ginny.





Ron and Hermione didn’t make it to lunch, Harry instead found pleasant company with Neville, Luna, Seamus, Ginny and Dean. He tried to distance himself from Dean, but found it rather hard since he wanted to learn all he could about Ginny’s day without directly asking her.



Neville and Seamus were prodding him to set a date for the first D.A. meeting of the year. Apparently, there was quiet a demand of people wanting to join up. Neville figured it was because of the escapade into the Department of Mysteries, word had spread like wildfire over the summer, and like most rumors, parts were true and others were far from it. Seamus and Dean were openly asking for details and the excitement of it all, Harry wasn’t surprised that his fellow cohorts held the specifics close to their chest. Neville, Luna, Ginny had learnt exactly what it was like to be faced with what would be their certain death and it was no matter to be talked about as if it were the latest thrilling moments of a Quidditch match.



Harry finally met up with Ron in Divination. He and Ron had discussed dropping Divination altogether, but decided that it might prove worthwhile to study with Firenze who was taking up the N.E.W.T. level classes. Hermione, he figured, was at her Arithmancy class and wouldn’t be caught dead in a subject she declared to be utter rubbish. Harry sat down and leaned up against the trunk of the conjured tree trunk. Ron had taken a patch of grass next to him without so much as a glance.



“We need to talk.” Ron whispered as their fellow students filed passed.

“All right, when?” Harry whispered back.



“Um, after class I suppose. Maybe we could walk down to the lake... Hermione has Ancient Runes and we’ve already talked so I thought it would be a good time since we both have study time.” Ron still didn’t look at Harry.



“Yeah, just don’t tell Hermione that we weren’t studying. I wouldn’t want her telling us off when she finds out we blew it.” Harry tried to gauge exactly how serious this was.



“Na, she gave me the idea.” Ron had finally looked at Harry and gave him a fleeting smile.



Firenze’s lesson on stargazing left the entire class speechless. The centaur was often referring to humans as too narrow minded to see beyond trivial occurrences of fortune or bad luck in their personal lives to understand the complexities of what the heavens foretold. Harry decided that he was right, he didn’t possess the broadness of mind required to understand anything that they stars were saying and from the confounded expressions of his fellow classmates, they didn’t either.



When class was over, Harry followed Ron’s lead as they headed out the great oak doors and down to the lake. When they were alone, Ron began with his hands tucked in his trouser pockets and his head down watching the ground sweep by with every step.



“Harry, I’m sorry that I acted like such a sodding git this morning- well, actually most of the day.”



“Oh, it’s not like I’ve never treated you like that. In fact, I’d say I’m more of a sodding git than you are.” Harry chuckled in an attempt to lighten his mate’s guilt.



“Well, you deserve better. When I got that bloody letter this morning I didn’t know what to think and that little sister of mine read my mind. I thought for sure that I was getting kicked off the Quidditch team.”



“If it helps, Ginny was really sorry after she said it. She didn’t mean it, she was only having a bit of a go.” Harry shrugged his shoulders as they continued towards the lake.



“Yeah, but I didn’t get kicked off, Harry. It’s worse...kinda.” Ron had stopped as they reached the banks. He turned stiffly and looked Harry straight in the face, all the color had drained from his features. “Harry, McGonagall made me Captain.”



It felt like an eternity before Harry could think of what to say. At first he was disappointed that he wasn’t named Captain. After all, he thought, I’ve been on the team for the last five years, granted he didn’t play his fourth year and most of his fifth; but he still couldn’t help but feel a bit dejected. Remembering what Dumbledore had said about him not being selected as Prefect, Harry realized if anyone was to be named Captain of the Gryffindor team, it was Ron. He was so passionate about the sport, knew all the in’s and out’s, and was brilliant when it came to executing well-planned strategies.



“Well done!” Harry finally looked up from his thoughts, “Well done!”



“That’s it?” Ron asked, he had been expecting Harry to count all the reasons why he shouldn’t be Captain.



“Well, lets see. Do I have any influence with Captain?” Harry eyed Ron mischievously.



“Uh, of course you do. You’re bloody Harry Potter, the youngest Seeker in a century. Anyone would be a fool not to listen to you.” Ron stated reverently.



“I may be the youngest Seeker,” Harry said earnestly, “But Weasley is our King!”



“Oh shut it!” Ron laughed too as Harry clapped his shoulder in solidarity. It was another defining moment in their friendship, despite the attempt of humor.



“Which way do we go? To the right or to the left?” Harry glanced in both directions, following the path weaving around the lake. “I’ll follow my Captain, my King wherever thou leadest me.”



“To the right,” Ron looked down the winding path before turning most seriously to Harry. “But only if you’re by my side.”



And with that, Harry enjoyed the afternoon sun and the perks that went along with being best mates with the Quidditch Captain.



A/N: Thanks as always to Whizzbee and Bogus, wonderful Betas they are. Sorry it's a bit slow, as Greta_Prewett put it, I'll try not to muck it up.
Arrogance & Ignorance by PatronyBologna
Chapter 8



Arrogance and Ignorance


Ron and Harry followed the path around the lake for a while before heading back up to the castle. Harry still had one more class to attend, a private one. When they entered the common room, the bushy brown hair belonging to one Hermione Granger could be found behind an immense stack of books and parchments.

“I’ll go and help her.” Ron shook his head in dismay and made his way over to the teetering stacks. “Catch you at dinner, we have Quidditch plans to arrange.”

“Yeah, sure.” Harry continued up to the dormitory to drop his books off. By the time he had made it back down to the common room, Ron had plunged right into the thick of it. He was busy explaining something about ancient runes, or at least that’s all Harry could make out before sneaking out through the portrait door unnoticed as their heads bobbed in and out of view above the books.

Harry found himself at the foot of the gargoyle marking the entrance to the Headmaster’s office. Unfortunately, he’d forgotten to find out what the password was. Actually, it didn’t even occur to him until now.

“Okay,” Harry mumbled to himself, “it’s usually some sort of candy, so which is it this time?”

He sputtered aloud through every known password that Dumbledore has used in the past and mentally checked them off with the succulent treats that lined the wall of Honeydukes. Whatever‘s left could be a viable candidate.

“Bogus Whizzbees,” a voice came from behind him.

Harry turned to see the Headmaster smiling at him.

“It’s a new product, Harry, one I’m quite fond of actually, manufactured by Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes, although I admire your reasoning and deductions in trying to figure out the password.” Dumbledore smiled as he ushered Harry up the spiral staircase.

When they reached the top, Harry let himself in. Looking around, he saw that everything was in order and not a hint remained of the way he left it last June, not that Harry expected Dumbledore to leave his office in ruins. Feeling ashamed of what he had done, he stood behind one of the chairs in front of Dumbledore’s desk and fixed his gaze to the floor.

“Please Harry, have a seat.” Dumbledore gently stroked an aging Fawkes before taking his own seat behind the old mahogany desk.

“Now, where should we begin..? Ah, yes.” Dumbledore said as he looked up at Harry. “I’m guessing you have some questions of your own?”

Harry did have a few questions for his Headmaster, “Why are you teaching me Occlumency now? Is it safe, you know, the reason why you didn’t want to teach me last year?”

“Nothing is without risks, Harry.” The elderly wizard leaned forward resting his forearms on the edge of his desk. “But some risks are worth the taking as the results of not acting on them would be far greater.”

“It is important that you become a superb Legilimens, you’ve already displayed a great aptitude for it.” A wry smile broke across Dumbledore’s face. “As far as Voldemort is concerned, I will try to protect the both of us to the best of my abilities. Do you have any other questions?”

“Um, no. Not right now.” Harry steeled his resolve; he would try his best to do whatever was asked of him.

“Good, lets start then.” Dumbledore smiled and relaxed back into his magenta chintz chair as Harry tried to clear his mind.

Harry had learnt more about Occlumency in one hour with Dumbledore than he did the entire time he suffered through ‘Remedial Potions’ with Snape. Dumbledore had a way of guiding him through the required steps, explaining why and how it all works. It was much easier to clear his thoughts when he knew how to successfully do so. He decided that it was a lot like packing his trunk for school. Memories were scattered everywhere, just like his belongings, and he needed to pick them up and properly put them in variously labeled trunks so that he could find them when he had to or lock them up altogether. Dumbledore had instilled a sense of hope in him. The hope that he might one day be able to completely block all unwanted intrusions by his depraved equal - after all, it was Voldemort who marked him as such.

With his head swimming slightly, he made his way down to the Great Hall where dinner was being served. Harry found his friends in their usual spots; Ron had saved a seat next to him as they had Quidditch details to discuss. Ron seemed to be enjoying himself as fellow teammates and house members congratulated him on his captaincy. Hermione, Harry noticed, seemed to take in all the interruptions in stride and even showed a bit more interest in the game itself. After going over the pitch schedule with Ron, it was hard to decided when to hold practices that wouldn’t conflict with homework and future D.A. meetings, Harry felt the absence of a quick witted red head.

“Where’s Ginny?” He asked looking down the table of dining students.

“Oh, she’s probably with Dean.” Ron took another bite, swallowed, and started questioning the dates and times he had picked to reserve the pitch.

“What?” Harry caught sight of Dean as he leaned in from the table on the other side of Seamus and Colin Creevey.
“Ron, did you say something?”

Ron had just taken an enormous bite of steak and kidney pie so Hermione answered Dean’s question. “No, we just thought that Ginny was with you,” Catching the desperate expression on Harry’s face, she continued. “Do you know where she is?”

“I left her in the common room, she said she was going to grab a bite later.” Dean shrugged and returned to his conversation with Seamus. Harry had to try hard to hide his irritation of yet another lack interest towards his girlfriend.

“I’m sure she’s fine, mate.” Ron said under his breath, trying to reassure him.

“Ginny probably has a lot of homework, I’m sure that’s it.” Hermione stated, “Remember all the work we had when we started our fifth year.”

“What, like we don’t have a lot of work to do now?” Ron mocked at Hermione; he had only just pulled her out of her own tar pit of studies to get her to come down to dinner.

Harry stared absently at the platter of roasted chicken that lay in front of him, his mind was racing along with his heart. Now he had to figure out how he was going to leave dinner without drawing too much attention as to why, Ron and Hermione would understand but Dean was another matter.

“Uh, I don’t feel so good.” It was the best he could come up with, “I’ll catch you two later.” Harry excused himself and headed straight for the giant doors only looking back to find Malfoy and his cronies dining at the Slytherin table.

He hurried along the corridor as fast as he could without breaking into a jog, his robes billowing behind him as his steps quickened to match his heart rate. His hands were sweating, he had unintentionally balled them into fists as he took the stairs two at a time, and all the while Malfoy’s words and Ginny’s screams for help reverberating through his mind.

“Skiving Snackboxes” Harry told the Fat Lady before he reached the last step so that he could walk straight through the portrait hole without stopping to wait.

Once inside the common room, he quickly glanced around for Ginny. His heart skipped a beat as he ran to peer over the couch in front of the fireplace. She wasn’t there. ‘The map!’ he thought as he ran up the stairwell to his dormitory. Harry tore open the lid of his trunk and jammed his hand down the right side and across the bottom underneath the folds of his dress robes where he felt the softness of the well used parchment he had been looking for.

Harry swore the Marauder’s oath as he touched it with the tip of his wand. He unfolded the layers out onto his bed before all the ink had appeared to get a better view of the castle and the grounds. Knowing that she wasn’t in the common room or the great hall, his eyes went immediately to the many corridors and staircases that Hogwarts possessed, disappointment and panic built up as he had not yet found her name.

“Come on Ginny, where are you?” He said aloud to himself as he continued to frantically scan the third floor.

Giving up his current area of the search, he decided to start from where he was and work outward from there. To his relief and embarrassment, he had found her. Ginny was coming down the stairs leaving the girls dormitory, she was not more than thirty feet away. Turning around and sliding his back along the side of his bed, Harry released a long, slow and steady breath as he landed on the wooden floor, his knees propping up the rest of his slumped body as the last gasp of air had left him.

What was I thinking?” He let his head fall back as if addressing the question to someone above him.

After taking a few moments to regain his composure, he got up off the floor and watched as Ginny made her way down to the great hall to catch the last vestiges of dinner. When he saw that she had made it safely to the Gryffindor table, muttered ‘Mischief Managed’ and put the useful device away, making sure to tuck it into the fold of his dress robe. It occurred to him how important it was to have the tools, the weapons he needed, readily organized and available at a moments notice. ‘There is a lot to learn from Dumbledore, the greatest wizard in the world,’ he thought.

Harry vainly tried to at least make a dent into the mountain of homework he’d been assigned after only two days of term; his four-poster was strewn with books and crumpled parchment. Not wanting to answer questions from his friends about his sudden illness at dinner, it was as good an excuse as any. Finally, he gave up the battle and drifted off to sleep but not before devising a plan to keep a better eye on Ginny.


..................................................................



Wednesday came and went rather uneventfully. More homework had been added to the pile and the three of them dove in headfirst. It wasn’t so bad to do the assignments and essays, they learned quite a lot about subjects that always interested them. McGonagall said that they would be learning the theory of Apparation and Disapparation before moving onto its practical use as most of them would be coming of age in the coming year.
Professor Flitwick, though still reviewing last year’s charms, outlined briefly the course schedule for the fall and winter terms. Hermione wasn’t the only one who eagerly anticipated learning the advanced spells, Harry and Ron agreed that a few of the charms could come in handy during particular situations and just might find themselves on the D.A.’s to-do list.

“I’d love to see Malfoy get away from that.” Ron whispered in Harry’s ear as they watched their professor charm a quill to chase after a frolicking chair. In the end, the quill had imbedded itself dead center into the back of the chair.

Thursday afternoon was finally here. It was their first Defense Against the Dark Arts class and Harry was looking forward to reuniting with Lupin. The class started off on an unusual note as Professor Lupin invited questions from his students pertaining to his being a werewolf.

“I want to start the year off on the right foot. I know that many of you have questions in regards to me and my condition.” Lupin took a seat on the edge of his desk. “Maybe if we could understand each other better, we can work passed fears and stereotypes and reach a mutual respect. So, are there any questions?”

After the initial discomfort of answering such personal questions with his students, Professor Lupin was quite up-front on how living as a werewolf had affected his life. That seemed to spark off a lively debate on werewolves, vampires, centaurs, giants, house elves and other similar creatures. It was like a History of Magic class minus the constant droning of Professor Binns, in other words, it was exciting and informative. Ron was able to keep Hermione and her S.P.E.W. down to a minimum with a few well-placed looks and questions of his own. They were both sure that she would have the run of the discussion if not.

When class was over; Harry, Hermione, and Ron congratulated Professor Lupin on delivering a brilliant lesson. The trio gained even more respect for their professor and friend. Bowing out of the impromptu gathering after class, Harry hurried to the Headmaster’s office - he didn’t want to keep Dumbledore waiting.



...............................................................



The only good thing about Friday was the fact that it preceded Saturday. Lunch hour was an unhappy affair due to the impending doom and gloom of the dungeons and Professor Snape, two hours of sneers, jeers, and greasy hair.

At the table, Luna drifted in and out of what seemed to be a one-sided conversation with Neville who sat looking positively morbid as she twittered way.

“Neville, what’s the matter?” Ginny asked, noticing his doleful stupor.

“Potions, Double Potions.... with Snape.” He answered remorsefully. “Don’t ask-“

“Why?” Ginny had finished his sentence.

“Yeah, why would you want to take Potions?” Ron cringed as Neville’s face fell even further.

“We all remember your boggart from third year, Neville.” Hermione said consolingly.

“None of us want to take it either, but-“ Harry joined the consultation.

“We have to.” Neville interrupted, sighed and released his fork, which hit his plate with a clink, concluding that eating would only make matters worse.

“He’s going to be a great Healer someday.” Luna sounded as dreamy as ever as she took hold of Neville’s forkless hand. “I just know it.”

The rest of the lunch hour was spent trying to convince Neville that they all shared in his less than enthusiastic attitude towards potions. Hermione, however, was the one to finally convince him that he had to be at least respectable in potions or he would have never made it into Snape’s N.E.W.T. class. Neville proclaimed that it was dumb luck - pure and simple - that he’d even achieved his Outstanding. Chalking it up to the fact that Snape was nowhere to be seen during the exam and that he actually remembered studying the ingredients in Herbology, the one class he excelled in.

The moment had arrived as Snape strode ominously to the front of the class where he stopped and maliciously glared at the students before him, his beady eyes lingering on Neville and before finally resting on Harry.

“I expect that most of you are here through your own merits, some of you, amazingly enough, have not been weeded out by the examination board.” Directing he next remark toward Harry, he continued. “Perhaps one’s reputation polluted the purity of the examination results.” Snape’s voice seethed with venom. “Surely I was mistaken, fame is everything.”

Harry only returned the look of disgust as he sat defiantly at the table with Ron. He could hear the stifled snorts from Draco and Pansy who were enjoying the public humiliation at his expense. Taking deep calming breaths to keep his surging anger at bay, he was determined to win the first battle. He wasn’t going to let Snape rile him to the point of detention on the first day.

“No matter, I expect those of you who are lacking the necessary levels of concentration needed for the intricate complexities of advanced potions to come begging me to excuse you from class.” Narrowing his gaze over the students he added with a twisted smile. “Sadly, you’ll be mistaken. I will not ease your suffering.” Snape whirled around making his way to the blackboard.

There was a collective gasp as the chills of dread and tension weighted the air of the dungeon. Ron dared to whisper to Harry out the side of his mouth, “And he’s on our side?”

“Now, lets separate the truly gifted from the fold.” He turned to the blackboard as he watched his next words magically write themselves up across it. “The Polyjuice Potion”

The students worked feverishly to keep up with the blackboard, as the ingredients needed flashed across the smooth surface. “I doubt any of you would be able to properly brew the shape shifting potion, but none-the-less I know some of you possess the arrogance and ignorance to believe that you could. Today, we will be working only in theory.”



“I’d say that was the best Potions class we’ve ever had!” Ron was the first to speak as the trio climbed the many staircases out of the dungeon.

“Yeah, I think we’ll get our essays done in record time.” Harry laughed, “We obviously possess the arrogance and ignorance.”

“Maybe we should add a bit about what happens if a person tried to change into a non-human subject.” Hermione poked fun at her own misfortune regarding Millicent Bulstrode’s cat. “Professor Snape would have to give us extra credit for that whether he wants to or not.”

“So, can we have some free time then, Hermione?” Harry mockingly asked for her permission. “It’s Friday after all.”

“Uh, sorry mate... er-we can’t.” Ron looked from Hermione and back to Harry. “We have “erm...”

“Class.” Hermione finished. “We have class with Dumbledore.”

“You have class with Dumbledore? Both of you?” He asked completely perplexed, he’d known all along that something was up, but to have it out in the open seemed to make it all the more real.

“Yes, we both do.” Hermione and Ron exchanged nervous looks.

They had reached the crowded main floor of the castle. Ron and Hermione departed reluctantly from his side after they had said their good-byes, as they walked away towards the Headmaster’s office, Harry was left standing amid the river of passing students with more questions than answers regarding his two best friends.

Back in the common room, he flopped down unceremoniously onto his usual couch next to the fire. Since he had the free time, Harry decided to plan out the D.A. meeting schedule and what he thought would be important lessons. Taking a page out of his professor’s book, he chose to review the more difficult jinxes and hexes they were studying before the summer holidays. The Patronus Charm, Harry thought, they could use the extra work. It was only a matter of time, if it hadn’t happened already, the Dementors would be joining Voldemort.

“Voldemort.” Harry said aloud, staring blankly.

“What about him?”

Harry twitched as he saw who was seated next to him on the couch. “Oh, sorry Ginny. I didn’t know you were there.”

“What about him, Harry?” She asked him again.

“Nothing, you know....” He rambled aimlessly on. “I was just planning out the D.A. meetings and... Ginny, you don’t look so good.”

“Oh, I’m fine. I suppose it’s just a cold or something.” Ginny tried to brush off his curiosity. “Can’t wait for Quidditch practice tomorrow, Ron’s making me try out for Chaser even though he says I’m a shoo in for the position.”

Ginny got up from the couch, grabbed her book bag off the floor and added, “He really needs to find a couple of solid Beaters though, I wouldn’t fancy a Bludger to the back of my head from another team, not to mention my own. See you at dinner, Harry.” And with that she left him for the dormitory.

It was midnight before Harry left the common room. He and Ron had played a few games of Wizards’ Chess while Hermione buried herself in yet another crusty, ancient looking book. Ginny who, Harry noticed, was still looking a bit paler than usual, sat with Dean and his friends shortly before excusing herself to an early retirement. ‘Quidditch tryouts tomorrow, boys.” Harry heard her say before Ron’s cheers of victory drowned her out. With his mind more on Ginny than they game, Ron had taken out his unprotected queen. He wanted to talk with her again, but reluctantly observed from a distance.

After quietly pulling on his pajamas, Harry wished Ron goodnight. He took his glasses off his face and rubbed his tired eyes and the bridge of his nose, his hand pressing against his forehead before letting his fingers run through the tangled mess of black hair. Harry sat his folded glasses on his nightstand and reach up for the curtain of his four-poster. He tugged the left closed, and then reached for the right. It was being stubborn so Harry had to give it an extra jerk. When it finally came free, he fell back onto his pillow as his out-stretched arm nearly knocked off Neville’s plant from his nightstand.

Finally finding peace within the crimson velvet walls, Harry drifted off to sleep. Sometime during the night, Harry woke up suddenly as a foreign swelling of fear and sadness filled him. He had been dreaming with Ginny.




A/N: Three cheers for Betas Whizzbee and Bogus. (I have to selfishly cheer myself, this was a hard chapter to put together...) Up next, Fly, this was the fastest, easiest chpt. to date. (Considering the last two just about sent me to the Loony bin.) I like it and hope you do too. It’s a bit fluffy... Chpt. 10 is almost complete, we’ll be getting down to business. Thanks to my faithful reviewers...
Fly by PatronyBologna
Disclaimer: Ms. Rowling owns the sandbox I just happen to be playing in, they're all her toys.



Chapter 9



Fly



Morning couldn’t come quick enough for Harry, he needed to talk to Ginny as soon as possible and lying around waiting for breakfast or a chance meeting in the common room was going to drive him crazy. He didn’t leave the confines of his bed until he could hear the birds usher in the twilight of morning.


As quietly as possible, he pulled back the bed hangings and changed into jeans, t-shirt and one of his Weasley jumpers. Taking a quick look at his hair, he shrugged and figured it wouldn’t matter much since he had Quidditch practice this morning. Bending over, he reached under his bed for his Firebolt.

It had been ages since he had taken an early morning ride and thought now would be the perfect opportunity - some of his best ideas came on the freedom of his broom. Before leaving the dormitory, he looked back to Neville, Seamus, Dean and Ron, making sure that he did not disturb them in their slumber as he shut the door behind him.


He was on his way down the staircase when his heart skipped a beat. He could see Ginny’s head lulled against the arm of the chair she was curled up in. Leaning his broom against the banister, he quietly crept around the grouping to see if she was awake.


“Hey” Ginny murmured before he could fully face her. Harry took a seat on the floor in front of her so that they met eye to eye.


“Hey” He tenderly returned the greeting. “Couldn’t sleep?”


“Neither could you.” She smiled faintly, lifted her head and rubbed her sore, tired eyes.


Harry studied her face in the silence, her eyes were bloodshot and told him of her sorrow, even the freckles that kissed her nose and cheeks paled with her complexion.


“Ginny, come fly with me.” He asked her softly.


“Now?” She asked him looking up at the window; it was too early in the morning. “The sun’s not even up yet.”


“Miss Weasley, please come fly with me?”


It was the longing in his voice that prompted Ginny to accept his offer.


“I’ll go and get my broom.” Ginny scooted out of her chair but Harry intercepted her before she could move any further.


“You don’t need your broom Ginny, I’ve got mine.” Harry went for his Firebolt and returned to her side.


“But- I’m not dressed to go outside... Look at me.” Ginny looked down at herself, she was wearing purple plaid pajama bottoms, a lilac Weird Sisters t-shirt she received from Tonks and a pair of turquoise fuzzy slippers.


“You look- you’re fine. I’m not afraid of your slippers.” Harry told her as he offered her his free arm - the other shouldered his broom. “Let’s go while we have the chance.”


He felt an inexplicable relief when Ginny’s wrist finally rested above his as it had done so many times earlier that summer. They hurried through the portrait hole; their hands slipping towards each other’s as Harry lead her down the stairs and along the empty corridors. By the time they made it to the oak front doors, her hand was firmly in his. Harry let go only to pry open the solid oak doors of Hogwarts before recapturing the momentum. Squeezing out between the crack, Harry and Ginny made it outside. Ginny shivered when the cool morning air breached the warmth of the castle, being the gentleman that he is, Harry pulled off his jumper and gave it to Ginny.


Without hesitation, she pulled it over her own head, he watched as she relaxed in the warmth left by him. Ginny ran her hands around the nape of her neck to free her scarlet locks; catching his gaze, she smiled a wordless thank-you. He took her hand again and they ran out onto the dew-covered grass away from the shadow of the castle.


Not ever having flown with another person on his broom, not even knowing if it could be safely done, he straddled the Firebolt. Ginny instinctively sat side-saddled in front of him, his arms reached around her waist to gain control. He gently kicked off the ground. It was a little wobbly at first, but they found their balance quickly, both being excellent fliers.


The cool air rushed past as they climbed higher and higher into the multi-colored sky, the sun barely peeking over the mountainous horizon. Ginny leaned back into his chest as they sped towards the far side of the lake, her head found its niche against his as her hair danced behind them. Harry noticed that her eyes were closed as he repositioned his body to better accommodate hers and still maintain steady control.


They flew in silence as Harry took them over the beautiful, rugged grounds of Hogwarts, careful not to leave its protection. When the sun had made its full and glorious appearance, Harry eased his broom down onto a hillside overlooking the castle. Feeling the decent, Ginny opened her eyes and pulled away from Harry. She dismounted gracefully after touchdown and sat on a nearby boulder, waiting for Harry to join her.


“Thank you.” She whispered as he sat next to her.


“Thank you.” Harry replied.


“It’s beautiful up here, you can see everything.” Ginny shook her head slightly as she took in the view.


“Yeah, it’s beautiful.” Harry sighed before he continued, “Ginny, what’s wrong?”


“You know, Harry.” She said, as she pulled up her legs to her chest and started to pick at a clump of fuzz on her slipper.


“Maybe you should tell me, then I’ll know if I know that you know that I know.” Harry tried to lighten the mood, to ease the tension that had built back up since they landed. “Seriously Ginny, what’s wrong?”


“It’s nothing.” Ginny sighed.


“It’s not nothing.” He retorted.


They sat in silence until Harry broke in, “I’m not taking you back to the castle until you tell me.”


“Fine, I’ll walk back.” Ginny got up and surveyed the steep hillside, looking for the least dangerous path.


“Suit yourself.” He stated calmly.


“You can’t tell me what to do, Potter!” Ginny was on the cusp of exploding, tears welled up behind her eyes.


Harry could feel her rise as he watched her pace in front of him. She looked like a wounded animal that had been cornered, desperately searching for a way out. Lucky for him, he was the only one equipped with a wand. Harry knew that he didn’t need to say anything else - sooner or later she’d break.


Finally it happened. Ginny spun around towards the castle and collapsed in a scream of frustration to the ground and was followed by stiffled sobs.


“Let me help you.” Harry said over her gasps, still sitting on the boulder.


“You can’t!” Choking back, she answered.


“Yes, I can.” His voice was steady and calm.


“He’s not kidding, it’s not a joke. He has help. I hear things in the hall.”


“I know.” Harry picked up a small rock and examined it between his fingers.


“You can’t- sniff be- sniff everywhere.”


“Unfortunately, I know that too.” He said as he threw the rock off the edge of the hillside.


“Harry, I’m scared- for the both of us, for all of us.” Ginny’s voice was muffled as she rested her head on her knees.


“So am I.” He admitted to her, surprised by his own openness.


“I thought that I could handle it, all of it.... by myself.”


“You don’t have to, Ginny. I know you’re quite capable, but some things are bigger than all of us. It isn’t your responsibility to carry it by yourself.” Harry tried his best to relieve her weight, which was his burden to carry.


The two sat in the serenity of their surroundings, watching an owl glide effortlessly on an updraft, returning from its nocturnal hunt to the Owlery tower.


“How did this happen? Ginny asked at last. "Why?”


“I don’t know, maybe it has something to do with the Chamber... Dumbledore basically said that I’d figure it out sooner or later... I don’t know how I’m doing it; it’s not on purpose.... Are you mad?”


“No, I think I knew all along. I knew for sure on your birthday. It scared me at first, when I realized what was happening.” Ginny finally looked over her shoulder at him, “I’m sorry about your head.”


“I deserved it.” Harry smiled.


“I didn’t really mean to.” She said before turning back around.


“Neither did I... I’ll try not to do it again,” Harry took a deep breath before admitting his latest invasion to the back of her head. “I didn’t mean to, you know, last night... your dream.”


“I could tell when you were there, it helped...” Ginny brushed her fingers through her hair, absently tugging away at the snarls. “I felt better somehow. I managed to get some sleep.”


“Dumbledore says I need to hide it from Voldemort. He thinks he’ll use you to get to me, like he did with Sirius.”


“He’s already used me once to get to you, I’m sure he wouldn’t think twice before doing it again.”


“If I hide it well enough and keep up with my Occlumency, Voldemort won’t have to know. I don’t want him to hurt you again.”


“So what’s the plan, how do we handle the lesser of the two evils?”


Harry rejoined her side as he thought about what to do.


“Dobby can help.” He said after a few minutes.


“Dobby, good idea.” Ginny laughed a little through a sniff. “What about Dean?”


“What about him?” Harry was disappointed that Dean had wedged himself between him and Ginny yet again.


“Well, he can keep an eye on things too?” Ginny shrugged.


“I suppose.” This time it was Harry who looked away. “Does he even know about Malfoy?”


“No.”


“Why not?” He thought it was a simple question that deserved a simple answer.


“Because I can’t tell him.” Ginny’s voice was slightly raised as she looked straight at him.



“Why?” Harry was getting frustrated, part of him wanted her to see just how wrong Dean was for her.


“Because I don’t want him to know, that’s why.” Ginny was getting agitated with the volley.


“He’s your boyfriend, isn’t that something boyfriends are supposed to know?” His question was tainted with an edge he hadn’t expected.


“He’s not like you, Harry.” The color had returned to her face, “It’s not like us.”


“Not like us?” Harry fired back thinking, ‘what’s that supposed to mean?


“Just drop it, Harry.” Ginny finished the subject before it got out of hand.


Feeling a small bit of satisfaction, knowing that she knew that something was different between them, between her and Dean, was enough and he didn’t push it any further.


“I have another idea, but I need to see if it’ll work first.” Harry got up and pulled Ginny to her feet, then went back towards the boulder and his Firebolt.


“Harry?” She asked, looking one last time at Hogwarts below.


“Yeah?” He answered while removing a weed lodged in the twigs of his broom, expecting another round.


“Promise me?” There was an open vulnerability in her request.


“Do you really have to ask?” Harry started, but then felt her need to hear it. He put his broom down and stood behind her, his hands enveloping her shoulders, his chin brushing her hair as he whispered, “With my life, Ginny.”



“With my life.” She replied as her right hand crossed over her chest, over her heart, meeting his at her shoulder. They stood together on the edge of the day, the edge of the darkness.


“Come on, we better get back.” Harry broke himself away, reaching for his Firebolt. “You’ve got to impress the Quidditch Captain and he just might need a new Seeker if he knew I’ve had you out in your pajamas.”


Taking up their positions, they flew back down castle. Harry was careful not to fly too close to any windows, more than a few eyebrows would be raised if anyone saw them together. When they landed at the stalwart doors, Ginny pulled off his sweater and tossed it back, she then flashed him a cheeky smile. Harry opened the door and let her in, waiting a few minutes so she could make it back to the tower before going inside and directly to the Great Hall.







................................................................






“Um.... Alright, I’d like to welcome all of you to the Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts.” Ron said nervously to the gathering of students on the pitch. “For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Ron Weasley - Keeper and Captain, this is Harry Potter our Seeker, and Katie Bell - Chaser.”


Harry and Katie waved ‘hello’ to the group of sick looking students in their turn. Ginny was standing in the back next to Hermione who was there for moral support. Seamus and the Creevey brothers were in the crowd of recruits along with last year’s replacement Beaters Jack Sloper and Andrew Kirke.


“We have four, um, positions available this year, two chasers and two beaters. We’ll start out with a few laps around the pitch, Harry will lead you out and then we’ll break up into two groups.” After checking to see that the group had understood his directions, Ron, followed by Katie and Harry, took off.

Harry led the flock around the pitch a few times while Ron held up to watch everyone fly. He looked back to see a couple of second-years collide with each other, nearly knocking them off their brooms. Ginny, he noticed, wasn’t too far behind him and was weaving casually in and out of the fray, clearly enjoying herself. After several laps of speeding up, slowing down and sharp S turns, Harry led the survivors back onto the pitch.


“Okay, well... that wasn’t so bad.” Ron tried to encourage those who had a rough go at the laps, “Beaters with Harry, Chasers with Katie.”


Ginny smiled at Harry as she walked by to join Katie and the rest of the students vying for the Chaser positions that included the Creevey brothers.


Harry took the left side of the pitch and waited for everyone interested in becoming a beater to join him. Seamus, Andrew, Jack, a handful of scrawny looking second-years and a couple of third and fourth years filled out the crew.


Grabbing a couple of bats from the ball trunk, Harry divided his group into pairs. The first set was given to Andrew and Jack who Harry told to spread out and see if they could hit the Bludger back and forth. Once in the air, he released the demonic ball and watched as they went to work. Jack seemed to improve over the summer. Andrew, taking a giant swing, missed the Bludger seconds before it hit him squarely in the face. Blood was streaming out of his nose by the time Harry had flown over to check him out.


“Jack, take him to the hospital wing, will you? Pinch your nose, Andrew, it’ll stop it from bleeding so badly.” Harry scanned the pitch for the loose Bludger, when he saw it circling around the lowest goal post; he called back to the group. “Seamus, get that Bludger.”


Obediently, Seamus left the ground and took off for the rogue Bludger. Jack and Andrew had landed and waded through the queue of potential beaters on their way to see Madame Pomfrey. A few of the second and third year students, once they saw the condition of Andrew’s nose, changed their mind about becoming a Beater and left the pitch shortly after.


Harry called up the three students that had decided to stay for the tryouts and directed them to each take a bat and hit the Bludger amongst themselves and Seamus. After about twenty minutes, Ron came over to assess the Beater candidates.



“How’s it going?” Ron asked as he watched the group of four dodge, duck, and belt the Bludger back and forth.


“Well, Andrew broke his nose I think. I sent him and Jack to take care of it.” Harry said as they both ducked a misplaced hit. “These few are all that’s left.”


“Seamus seems to be doing well.” Ron said as he watched him pelt the Bludger.


“Yeah, I think our best chance this year is with Seamus and Jack.” Harry then added, “But you’re the Captain, so it’s your call.”


“Nah, from the looks of it, you’re right.” Ron got the words out just before he veered to the left as the Bludger whizzed by.


When he returned Harry asked, “So how’s the Chaser situation looking?”


“Ginny is the best of the bunch, and I’m not being partial. Dennis Creevey looks pretty good too. He’s small, but fast and able to move well. We’ll just have to work in the fact that he has to do it while carrying the Quaffle.” Ron chuckled at the irony of the situation.


“About to call it a day, Captain?” Harry asked.


“Yeah, lets bring’em down.” Ron left for the other end of the pitch where the Chasers were practicing goals.


When everyone had gathered in the center of the field with their legs firmly on the ground and the Bludger locked safely in the trunk, Ron gave his closing remarks.


“I’d like to thank everyone for trying out. I’ll be posting the team roster on the house bulletin board on Sunday afternoon. Now go and get some lunch, I’m sure most of you missed breakfast!” Ron finished with a laugh as he remembered his own dismal tryouts; it seemed to ease nerves of his fellow housemates.





.........................................................................






Late in the afternoon, Harry found some time to himself. Ron and Hermione had a prefect meeting to attend, Ginny was with Dean, and even Neville had plans of his own.

Recalling the morning’s ride with Ginny, he left the common room to organize his trunk, hoping to find what he was looking for.


He emptied his belongs out onto his bed and took stock of what he had: Three school robes, four Dudley-sized t-shirts, three jumpers, six pairs of socks that needed to be replaced badly, two pairs of very loose fitting jeans, two Gryffindor scarves and a tie, his green dress robe, the Marauders map, and his father’s invisibility cloak. His Broomstick Servicing Kit, Wand Care Kit, course texts and the scheduling diary Hermione gave him along with all the other books he now owned thanks to her, plus two extra ink bottles, four quills, a bundle of parchment, cauldron, potion supplies. He also had his Firebolt, a rock cake from Hagrid dating back a few years, photo album, eight chocolate frog cards, and handful of lint-covered Bertie Botts Beans. The very last item he pulled from his trunk had been the one he had been looking for. Still wrapped in a piece of felt were the broken shards of Sirius’ mirror, reverently he placed them onto his bed.


Methodically he replaced the items back into his trunk, carefully remembering where each item sat and what items were near it. Smartly, Harry tossed the furry beans and other items that he deemed useless into the rubbish bin where they belonged. He took a quick peek at the map before tucking it between the folds of his dress robe. When the lid was closed and the job done, Harry carefully pocketed the contents wrapped in felt and headed off towards his destination.






Harry knocked on the door.



“Enter.” He heard through the wooden door.



Harry stepped over the threshold and into the office of Professor Lupin.


“Harry! How’s your first week back?” He asked as he ushered him across the room and through another door.


“Would you care to join me?” Lupin poured himself a spot of tea at a small table behind an orange and green striped sofa and reached for a second cup before Harry could answer.


“Uh, sure.” He answered, taking a seat on the ill-favored sofa.


Harry had never been in a teacher’s living quarters before. He’d been to the Dark Arts professor’s office many times under its various occupants, even with Lupin, but failed to notice the door to the adjacent room. It was small - there was a four-poster, nightstand, dressing area and armoire in the far corner opposite the door. The seating area where the sofa sat included two wooden chairs and a bulky coffee table.


“Do you like it?” Lupin asked Harry as he continued to pour the tea. “Umbridge had colored the walls a nauseating pink and left her frilly doilies on every thing. The first thing I did was to get rid of them. Basic brown suits me just fine, thank-you. Here’s your tea Harry.” Lupin handed him the cup before he settled into one of the sturdy chairs in front of him.


“Umbridge,” Harry grunted before sipping his tea, “Everything about her is nauseating.”


“Well, I suppose you’re not here to reminisce about your favorite professor, Harry. What’s on your mind?” Lupin cut to the chase.


Setting his tea down onto the coffee table, Harry got up and carefully removed the contents of his pocket and laid them out in front of him.



“Sirius’ mirror.” Lupin sighed as he touched the broken fragments.


“Do you know where the other one is?” Harry asked hopefully.


“Yes, I do.” Lupin got up and walked over to the armoire. He opened it up and brought a small box back to the table. He unlocked it with quick wave of his wand and the top gently flipped open. Wrapped in a matching piece of felt, Lupin removed the second mirror. “Here it is, Harry.” Lupin sat the whole mirror next to its shattered companion.


“Sirius told me you had the other half, so after he... passed.... I kept an eye out for it. I found it with a few of his other most prized possessions.” Lupin looked longingly at the set. “I know that he would have wanted you to have it.”


“Can I? I mean, does it still work?” Harry asked solemnly. Memories of the first time he tried to use it, after Sirius had died, pained him.


“I don’t see why not, we could fix the broken one.” Lupin looked up at Harry, trying to read what he had in mind.


“No, if it still works... don’t fix it.” Harry picked up the whole mirror and a large shard of the other. “More than one might come in handy.”


“I gather you wish to give them to Ron and Hermione then?”


“Yeah, Ginny too.” He replied, examining the broken edge. “So, does it work?”


“Let’s find out.” Lupin rose from his chair, took a fragment from the table and walked out of the room.


Harry gaze into the full mirror. At first it was just his reflection looking a back at him through the fog of the old mirror. Just as he blinked, he jumped a bit when Lupin’s face and voice appeared on the other side.


“Hi Harry.” He said with a smile.


“Hi” Harry repeated.


Lupin returned shortly afterwards, returning the piece he took with the others. “They work just fine.”


“Yeah, they do.” Harry felt relief mixed with sadness, he wanted to talk to Sirius again -he missed him.


The room was quiet except for the occasional the sound of sipping tea while they both drifted into their own memories of Sirius.


“Is there anything else I can help you with? Is everything alright?” Lupin asked, setting his empty cup on the table. “You’re not planning another outing are you?”


“No, I’m not.” Harry answered, then with reluctance added, “It’s Malfoy - he’s up to something. I don’t know what... but I’m worried about Ginny.” He could feel his face warm as he said her name.


“Oh.” Lupin replied plainly aware of his young friend’s blush. “Why do you say that?”


“Well, on the train... on our way here, he threatened her.” Harry recalled his words specifically to himself.


“Did anyone else hear him do this?” His eyebrows rose as he asked him.


“Ron, Hermione, and Neville and Luna were in the cabin when it happened. But nobody really heard but Ginny.” He shrugged.


Lupin cast a knowing look at Harry, “And you...” Harry’s stomach flipped, “Did you hear him?”


“No, not directly.” Harry directed his eyes away from Lupin and to the floor.



“Oh.... I see.” Lupin smiled gently, “Dumbledore told me you were making some progress in your classes. Isn’t that right?”


“Yeah, you could say that.” Harry felt relieved that Lupin had an inkling as to what was happening between him and Ginny.


“We’ll keep an eye on young Mr. Malfoy. Dumbledore, I’m sure, will let the rest of the Order know, including Arthur and Molly. Thanks for the heads up.”


“Just don’t tell them it came from me. Ginny’ll have me hexed in a heartbeat.”


“You have my word.” Lupin chuckled at the fear little Ginny Weasley had over him. It reminded him of another redhead and a young man with messy black hair. “I’d be scared too.”


Harry looked a bit put out by his laughter but couldn’t help the grin growing inside him.


“Thanks, Uncle Moony.” He said when the grin broke through the surface.


“You’re welcome, Harry.”





.....................................................................







Dean kissed Ginny goodnight on the forehead before heading up to bed. Hermione, anticipating the ‘good-night’ kiss, grabbed Ron and distracted him; Harry on the other hand got to witness the display of affection. Ginny, Harry thought, seemed to dismiss him quickly as she settled next to Ron on the floor.



Hermione, once the room was clear, asked, “So what’s on your mind, Harry?”


He reached into his book bag and brought out the felt-wrapped mirrors. “These”


“They were my father’s and Sirius’s when they were at school.” Harry began as he passed the largest pieces to his friends. “Sirius gave me one last year, at Christmas... but I kinda... accidentally broke mine.”


“Why?” Ron asked until Hermione gave him the look.


“They’re two way mirrors. We can keep in touch when were separated. Just call my name and we can see and talk to each other.”


“Wicked!” Ron was in awe.


“These will come in handy.” Hermione said, always the practical one.


“Thanks, Harry.” Ginny simply smiled, she knew that this was what he had talked about this morning.


“Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea.” Harry wrapped the whole mirror and the extra shard and put it away. “I have another idea too... Dobby?” Harry called out for the house elf.


With a small ‘pop’ Dobby appeared by Harry’s side, hats, socks, jumpers and all.


“Harry Potter!” Dobby squealed.


Hermione eyed Harry suspiciously as the elf continued to sings his praises. Ron, however, held back his snicker.


“Harry Potter has called on Dobby! And Mr. Wheezy, and Miss Wheezy too.” Dobby recognized Hermione as well, but with less enthusiasm. “What can Dobby do for Mr. Potter and his friends?”


“Dobby?” Harry asked when the ecstatic elf calmed down to a reasonable level. “Dobby, we need your help.”


“Anything you’s ask, most kind and great Harry Potter.” Dobby bowed deeply.


“Dobby, I need you to keep an eye on Malfoy.” Harry quickly corrected himself, “Draco Malfoy to be exact.”


“Oh, I’s do not like them, Harry Potter, the Malfoys are bad, dark wizards.” Dobby glared when he mentioned his former family’s name then attempted to run directly into the wall, but Harry caught his jumper and prevented him from doing so.


“Just keep an eye on him, let us know if he’s up to no good. Can you do that Dobby?” Harry asked the elf. “I will pay you for your help.”


“Yes, oh yes Mr. Potter! But I’s do not require payment, Dobby owes everything to Harry Potter sir.” The elf agreed.


“Thanks Dobby.” He said, “I’ll get you a new pair of socks.”


With one last bow, Dobby had left.


“That was easy. I bet he’d take on Voldemort if you asked him to.” Ron joked, flinching slightly as Hermione took a well aimed swat at his head.


“I can’t believe I’ve never thought of it before.” Harry stated matter-of-factly, riling Hermione even further.


Hermione left her chair and grabbed Crookshanks around the middle, “Thanks Harry and goodnight. ‘Night Ginny” She said sweetly before glaring back, “Ronald!”


Ron just beamed, “Sweet Dreams, ‘Mione.”


Hermione left with a ‘hmmph’ at Ron’s over-zealous parting words.


When she disappeared into the girls’ dormitory, he excused himself. “Have to meet with McGonagall and go over the roster.” Seeing the incredulous look on his sister’s face he added, “Yeah, you’re in.”



“We better get some sleep.” She said to Harry as she watched him sprawl out on the couch, kicking his legs up on the back, his arms tuck in behind his head as it leaned upside-down off the seat.


“Yeah, in a minute.” He answered through a yawn.


“What are you doing?” Ginny looked at him puzzled.


He smiled at the right side-up Ginny. “Absolutely nothing.”


“Good, then neither am I.” She joined him in his peculiar posture on the couch.


The moments ticked by as they lazily gazed up at the ceiling.


“Ginny?”


“Uh-huh.”


“Thanks.”


“For what?”


“Flying with me.”

The day had ended the same way it had began, Harry and Ginny, alone in the common room.




A/N: Wow, this posted so fast I was unable to finish all the 'oops'. Please forgive them, there's a lot. Thanks again to Whizzbee, the fastest Beta in the world!! Thanks for reading and sticking with me, my reviewers.... you're too kind. Chapter 10 (currently titled) Good News, Bad News (it may change) is almost finished. With the speed of these posts, you've all caught up. I'll try and not keep you waiting too long though.
Good News, Bad News by PatronyBologna
Chapter 10






Good News, Bad News








Having survived the first three and a half weeks of school, life at Hogwarts had pounded out its rhythm into Harry’s mind. The constant beat of classes, an upbeat of homework, the background harmony of the D.A. and Quidditch all complemented the haunting melody that was Ginny Weasley. However the music sang in his head, the constant sanguineous groan of Voldemort and the prophecy could not be completely drowned out. Harry knew that Voldemort and Malfoy had curled up under the same rock, lying in wait for the perfect opportunity to strike and disrupt his momentarily ‘normal’ life once again. And then it happened. His scar gave a sharp throb, He was happy.



Breakfast that crisp late-September morning was eventful to say the least. Hermione slipped a Knut into the delivery owl’s pouch and unfurled her copy of the Daily Prophet when she gasped at the front-page headline.



“Look at this.” She said to her usual dining companions.



Ron leant in and his face contorted as he too read the headline. Harry bent over the table and pulled the newspaper flat. Upside down, he learned what the fuss was about.



Dementors Leave Azkaban, Ministry Struggles To Guard Inmates” Ginny read the cover story aloud. “Last night under the cover of darkness, the grisly guards of Azkaban, known as the Dementors, left the compound. Inside sources say that they have joined the ranks of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, leaving Ministry officials scrambling to keep the incarcerated criminals imprisoned. ‘Aurors have been dispatched to the island prison as soon as we learned of their departure. We are checking the manifests to make sure we can account for all inmates of Azkaban. The situation is under control.’ Edmond Farnesworth, Department head of Magical Law Enforcement, stated early this morning.



“Well, that’s a cheery way to start the day.” Ron said sarcastically as returned to his eggs and bacon.



Hermione and Ginny both looked up to Harry who, like Ron, had returned to his own plate.



“Harry, aren’t you worried?” Hermione exasperated, “They’ll come after you again.”



“I know; it’s just one more evil, deadly thing to watch out for.” Harry shrugged off before taking a bite of his egg covered toast.



“You already knew, didn’t you Harry?” Watching him chew, Ginny took her seat again next to Dean who listened intently on the conversation.



Harry nodded and swallowed. Before he could answer, Hermione fired off another question.



“Did you, did he... Are you having His visions again?” She whispered, not wanting to inform the whole of the Gryffindor table.



“No.” Harry took a sip of pumpkin juice before completely answering her question. “I felt that he was happy last night. I didn’t know why though,” Seeing a frown fall upon her face he added, “but it was just for a few seconds."



“What about your scar, did he hurt you again?” Hermione asked in a motherly fashion, wincing as her gaze moved to his forehead. “You should tell Dumbledore... I mean, what if...”



“Get a grip Hermione, he’s just fine.” Ron cut her off and tried to hand her a scone he had buttered for her. “He’s been through a lot worse, you know that. It’s not like things are going to get any better any time soon.”



Hermione opened her mouth again but Ron had plugged it nicely with the scone. She bit down and reluctantly chewed, giving up the fight. Harry squashed a grin as he watched his two best friends deal with each other and the latest war news.



Before Hermione could chastise him, another owl had landed in front of Ron. This one, however, was from the Ministry, his Father to be exact. Ron took the envelope from the stuffy looking owl and tore into it. Ginny craned her neck around Hermione to see her brother better. When he had finished reading, Ron handed it over to Harry.





Dear Ron,



I just wanted to let you know that the Dementors are out of Ministry control and have undoubtedly joined with Voldemort. I’m sure you’re already aware of what’s happening, the four of you (Harry, Hermione and Ginny) always seem to be further ahead than what we give you credit for. With that said, I want you to keep an eye on your sister. I know that you’ve always been protective of her, but we’ve received word that someone may be out to do her harm. I’m sure that it’s just a rumor, but with the events of this summer, we cannot be too careful. Dumbledore and the rest of the staff will be of assistance should you need them. Take care of yourself as well and congratulations on making Captain, your mother and I are so proud.



Love,

Dad






“Give it here, already.” Ginny reached across the table to take the letter from his hands,

“What did Dad have to say?” Harry quickly folded the parchment and gave it back to Ron, just missing her grasp. “It’s Ron’s, you should ask him.”



Ginny gave Harry an incredulous glance before turning sweetly to Ron. “Well, can I read the letter then, dear brother?”



“Nope, sorry... Strictly for us boys, no girls allowed.” He said as he tucked it way. “Besides, I think there’s one for you.” Ron nudged his head a wonky flying owl as it barely made its way into the Hall.



Landing with a splat on the platter of cold eggs, the Weasley family owl, Errol, flopped around as it tried to right its self, slipping on the broken yolks.



“Bloody bird!” Ron seethed as he wiped the bits of egg off his face with a spare napkin.



“Serves you right!” Hermione and Ginny chimed, both having their own issues with the lanky redhead.



Ginny picked up the flailing owl and released him from his obligation while Hermione stroked his dull gray feathers, calming the aged owl.



“Who’s it from?” Dean asked as Ginny began to read.



“My Mum.” She answered, not taking her eyes off the written lines.



“Oh, what does she have to say?” Dean leaned in closer in an attempt to read its contents.



Ron, Harry, and Hermione watched as she pulled the letter in close and away from Dean’s prying eyes. Harry had a good idea about what was written in the letter and, by the looks of it, so did Ron.



“She just says ‘hi’ and congratulations on making Chaser. She said that she doesn’t want me to spend too much time on Quidditch though, because O.W.L.s are important, blah, blah, blah. Nothing much.” Ginny put her letter away too as she eyed Ron and Harry suspiciously.



Feeling that they had sufficiently dug themselves in deep with the girls, Ron got up to leave the table and Harry followed suit.



“See you in class, Hermione.” Ron smiled sheepishly, knowing full well that he was in trouble and would get his come-uppance soon enough.



Making their way back to Gryffindor tower, he and Ron had an opportunity to discuss the events of the morning.



“Is it Malfoy?” Ron asked him outright, “How is it that Mum and Dad know?”



“Uh, I kinda told them, in a round about way.” Harry stated as they started up the steps. “Lupin did actually, through Dumbledore I think.”



“So you told Lupin, he told Dumbledore who told Mum and Dad?” Ron looked to Harry, following the trail.



“And the rest of the Order.” Harry completed the chain of events.



“I take it you know something that I don’t?” Ron asked as the reached the Fat Lady.

“Skiving Snackboxes.”

“You remember what I told you before, about Ginny and me?” Seeing Ron nod, Harry continued, “I heard what Malfoy said that day on the train, he’s got it in for her Ron - and Ginny knows it, she’s scared.”


“Oh.... What did he say exactly, Malfoy?” Ron asked wanting to know the full extent of his threat.

Harry closed the door behind them as they entered their dorm, “You could be useful to me’. Those were his exact words.” He sighed.



Ron grabbed his book bag from off his trunk and plopped down on top of it as he thought about the newest information. “How could Ginny be useful to him?” He said aloud, “What does Ginny have that he could want... to use?”



Harry didn’t answer; Ron would have to come to his own conclusions. He retrieved his book bag too, and headed for the door to leave. His hand was on the handle when Ron stopped him.



“Wait a minute, Harry, it’s you he’s after.” Ron’s face dawned comprehension. “Draco is in it with Voldemort, not that it surprises me, father like son. Maybe Voldemort himself has made him a Death Eater - I bet he even bears the Dark Mark. You think he’s using her to get to you, through Malfoy?”



“To tell you the truth, I hope not. Malfoy on his own would be hard enough to deal with if we had to, but Voldemort adds a...”



“But why would he use Ginny to get to you?” Ron had not come full circle. “Why does Voldemort connect you and Ginny together? He doesn’t know about, you know...?”



“No, I don’t think he knows about that. My best guess is that I saved her from the Chamber, he knows that I would do it again.” Harry leaned up against the door as he faced Ron, his book bag precariously hanging from his fingers.



“But you’d do that for any one of us.” Ron said as the wheels continued to turn. “Maybe Malfoy just picked her because she stood up to him?”



“Hermione and Neville stood up to him too.” Harry reasoned. “He’s always had it out for Hermione.” He noticed that Ron gave a slight shiver at her name.



“But he picked Ginny.” Ron swallowed hard. Harry knew that he didn’t want anyone to be the bait, especially those two.



They were roused from their spots when footsteps could be heard climbing up the stairs, “Either way, with Dobby and the mirrors you gave us, we can keep a better eye on things.” Ron shook his head with a wry smile as he reached Harry at the door. “That’s what you planned all along, isn’t it?”











............................................................









Thursday afternoon had arrived and the sixth year N.E.W.T. students would be attending their first class with the real Professor Moody as it happened to be a full moon the night before and Professor Lupin was otherwise disposed. The class settled down as the last toll of the bell was struck, a spine tingling hush swept through them as the students took their seats. On bated breath the moments passed, Professor Moody was no where to be seen. As time trudged on, the students began to murmur. After ten minutes of waiting the murmurs turned into exuberant conversations, students leaving their seats to horse around with their friends as most of them assumed that class had been unofficially canceled. Harry, Ron, and Hermione, however, knew better. They sat perfectly still, watching and waiting, they knew Mad-Eye would not disappoint.



It happened in a flash, the torches went out and the shutters slammed shut, extinguishing the remaining light. The entire class was stunned, unable to move from the positions they held mere seconds before. Harry could hear the faint ‘clink, clink’ coming up the aisle behind and to the left. It told him Moody was on the move but he was unable to visually confirm this as it was too dark and he too was stuck looking towards the front of the class.



Once he completed the journey coming before the now perfectly still and darkened class, he slowly raised his glowing wand, exposing his gnarled fingers from under the cloak and casting jagged shadows crossed his gruesome features. Harry could hear him mutter under his breath before his flicked his wand, releasing the spell that bound them and illuminating the chamber.



As grisly looking as ever, Moody wore a stone gray cloak that matched the darker streaks in his hair as it stuck out every which way from under his bowler cap. He continued to hold his position as the students took their seats and came to full attention, only speaking when all eyes were fixed on him.



“Professor Lupin had told me you were doing well... but not well enough!” He growled, “The most important rule in Defense Against the Dark Arts is... ” Moody lowered his head, scrutinizing the class with his ‘good’ eye.



“Constant Vigilance” They said together with a palatable fear, only Umbridge had made them answer in unison before.



Moody let out a cacophonous laugh as he took off his cap, tossing it onto the desk behind him, “Evidently you did learn something from that bloody imposter and that self-serving toad of a woman!”



Ron was the only one who felt comfortable enough to let a slight chuckle leave his lips, joining in with Professor Moody.



“Find it funny, do you Mr. Weasley?” Moody said to Ron acknowledging him with his magical eye.



“Uh, no sir, Professor.” Ron shrank a bit into his seat.



“Professor Lupin has been detained, as I’m sure you are all aware.” Moody walked around the desk and picked up a slip of parchment.



“Your Professor here has left me with instructions to continue educating you on, “ He paused as he read further down the parchment with his electric blue eye, “counter jinxes. Yes, well...” Moody let the note slip through his twisted fingers as it floated carelessly back onto the desk, his face contorted into what could be considered a smile, “I have other plans for you, I’m afraid.”



“How many of you have heard of the Patronus Charm?” Moody asked the class as most of the students’ hands raised timidly into the air.



“How many of you can produce a full Patronus or have at least tried.” Moody caught Harry’s eye with his own, “Besides Mr. Potter, here.”



Only a few hands remained, their owners fading slightly in their chairs as they expected a reprimand - all of them were members of last year’s D.A. Another serrated grin cut across the ex-Auror’s face.



With what seemed like an uneasiness in standing too long in one place, Mad-Eye started to pace throughout the classroom, weaving in and out between the students’ desks, the familiar ‘clink’ echoing with every other step against the stone walls.



“As of this morning, the Dementors have left Azkaban.” His voice was low and guttural, but every student had heard. “These rotten, foul, creatures have left the Ministry - they are now in league with the Voldemort and are under his control.”



Harry could hear gasps as Moody said his name. Unfazed by their reaction, he continued.

“The Patronus Charm is the only thing that stands between you and the discarded husk of a body they will leave you with.”



The substituting professor resumed his inspection of the class, letting the full extent seep further into their minds with every ‘clink’.



All eyes were on Moody as he stopped abruptly in front of a blonde young man, causing him to twitch slightly but nevertheless, he returned Mad-Eye’s malevolent gaze.



“I would hate to have them kiss you - Malfoy, isn’t it?” He said in a disturbed whisper as Draco merely blinked in agreement, losing what little color was left in his face. Harry knew that he wasn’t the only one reliving the ‘little white ferret’ incident of fourth year.



“They wouldn’t hesitate to kiss you all.” He spat as he spun around to address the rest of the class before roaring his number one rule, “Constant Vigilance!”











......................................................................













Harry, Ron, and Hermione walked past the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy, summoning the Room of Requirement for the first D.A. meeting. When the smooth wooden door appeared, they entered to find the room exactly as they had left it before.



“What’s on schedule today, Professor Potter?” Ron asked over his shoulder while he and Hermione scanned a book they had pulled off the shelf.



Harry, not looking up from the table of Dark Detectors replied, “Uh... I thought we’d just review some things, that is if anyone shows up.”





No sooner did the words leave his lips than the door opened and fellow students started to file in. Ginny was in the lead, followed of course by Dean, Seamus, Neville, Luna and the Creevey brothers. Harry noticed through the growing crowd, that even Cho had returned with, of all people, Marietta Edgecombe, the Sneak. Harry caught himself frowning and tried his best to hide it, squashing his feelings of resentment towards the pair. However, it was easily replaced with a strange sort of amusement when he noticed a few timid first and second years huddled near the door, deciding whether or not they should be here as curiosity had led them this far.



Harry gave it a good ten minutes before he tried and failed miserably, forgetting that he was after all in the Room of Requirement, to settle the congregation. He remembered the way Moody had quieted his class earlier and thought that it was rather effective. ‘Too bad I can’t do that.’ He thought.



Seeing his friends’ frustration, Ron raised his thumb and forefinger to his mouth and blew an ear-piercing whistle. “Oi, have a seat!” He hollered, “Professor Potter here needs your attention.”



Once the crowd had taken their seats on the floor, Harry addressed them.



“I’m just Harry, okay.” Immediately clearing the air of any ‘Professor Potter’ business.



“Glad to see you all back,” He smiled at the returning D.A. “And I’m glad to see we have a few new members too.” This time directing his comments to the cluster of pre-teens hiding themselves in the back of the room.



Harry was well into his spiel on what his plans were for the first few meetings of the year when the door opened and in walked a group of eight Slytherins, causing him to lose his concentration. All heads turned and watched the group as they shuffled inside the room. A towering, raven-haired, seventh year boy called Staurn Thorkildsen, who Harry had never spoken to before, stepped out of the knot towards him.



Staurn’s voice was deep, and told of his uncertainty. “Is this the D.A. meeting?”



“Uh, yeah, it is.” Harry replied, as he stood blankly before the group, unsure of what to make of the new and unexpected arrivals.



“Is anyone allowed to join?” Staurn looked Harry straight in the face, but instead of the brazenness that usually accompanied Slytherin remarks, it was reflective.



Harry turned to Ron and Hermione for support. Ron just shrugged - a shrug that told him he was as dumbfounded and leery as he was. Hermione, on the other hand, nudged him on with a nod of her bushy head. Before he turned to address Staurn and the rest of the Slytherins, Harry caught Ginny’s eye, which smiled softly, giving him her approval and deciding vote.



“Yeah, have seat.... if you want.” Harry finally answered back.



They settled down on the floor to the rise of incoherent, whispered skepticism.



“Erm- like I was saying, we’ll start off with a few hexes and jinxes. Those of you who haven’t been with us before, you can have a seat over there and I’ll get to you in a minute.” After Harry had ended his speech, the students followed their instructions.



“Let’s start you guys off with the Impedimenta, Immobulus, and other jinxes and body binds, the pillows are in the corner... I’ll be back in a while.” Harry left their half of the room and headed, with Ron and Hermione in tow to the queue of newcomers.



“Be nice Ron.” Harry heard Hermione say behind him, Ron just grunted in return.



“Okay, well... let’s see.” Harry was at a loss on how to proceed as he sized up the different levels of ability.



“How about we introduce ourselves, Harry?” Hermione had come to his rescue.



“Sure, this is Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, I’m Harry Potter.” He felt a bit odd introducing himself, more often than not no introduction was needed as everyone looked to his forehead for his identity. “Does anyone have any questions to start off with?”



“What’s the D.A. about anyway?” A Slytherin girl with dark chocolate cork-screw hair and matching eyes asked, she looked like she was a fourth year to Harry.



“Uh, well... We started this last year when Umbridge wouldn’t let us practice any magic.” He answered, not sure if it was sufficient when the girl who asked the question in the first place looked unsatisfied. “We wanted to be able to do what we learned.”



“And then some extras.” Hermione added with a smirk, holding up the book her and Ron had been reading.



“So we get to do all sorts of cool magic spells and stuff like that?” A scrawny, Ravenclaw second year asked before turning to the rest of his group. “Harry can do the coolest things. Did you hear about the time-“



“No, you don’t get to do all sorts of cool magic spells and stuff like that.” Ron interrupted, slightly mocking his enthusiasm.



“We can help teach you defensive magic, but you have to know the basics first.” Hermione jumped in, trying to salvage what was left of eager boy.



“Why have the D.A. now?” Staurn asked Harry outright. “Professor Umbridge is gone and Professor Lupin lets us practice.”



“Because, uh... because there’s...” Harry stammered, he wanted to say ‘because Voldemort and his Death Eaters won’t think twice before killing you.’



“For the last time, Voldemort is back.” It was Ron who spoke, his countenance was deadly serious.



“Alright, so we know he’s back.” Staurn acknowledged with a slight cringe.



“But we’re safe here in Hogwarts.” One of his housemates stated.



“You’re not.” Harry said plainly.



“The Dementors came after me here, a Death Eater taught us under the disguise of Professor Moody and...” He felt a lump grow in his throat as he thought of what he would say next. “Cedric and I were taken from the maze during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. In fact, Voldemort has been at Hogwarts himself during my first year. He possessed Professor Quirrell, my first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”



“But Hogwarts; a History says,” Hermione had nearly fallen over in disbelief if it hadn’t been for Ron’s snort that jolted her back to reality when the same Slytherin girl started. “that Hogwarts is protected by many wards and spells that are not easily broken.”



“Nothing is infallible.” Harry thought back to the protection that had failed his parents and the lasting protection his mother had given him, hoping that his mother’s sacrifice was indeed infallible.



“He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named isn’t just going to waltz right in here, though.” Another Slytherin boy from the back of the group finally made an appearance, “Dumbledore wouldn’t let him.”



“Of course Dumbledore is not going to let him.” Ron returned with a rise of anger, “Dumbledore is the only one he’s afraid of and for good reason, but it hasn’t stopped him before. Didn’t you listen to a word Harry’s said?”



“It’s okay Ron,” Harry took the wind out of his sails before things blew out of hand. “Look, the point is we’re here to learn how to defend ourselves if we’re ever in a situation where we need to.”



Staurn looked directly at Harry, “Well then, I’m in.”



“Me too!” The chocolate-haired girl raised her hand, “Count me in.”



After that, the rest of the newcomers had asked to officially join the D.A. All Harry could do was let them; after all, they had been warned. Since the time was nearing an end, Harry called over to the practicing D.A. members. Ginny had been looking his direction, which he suspected she had been the entire time, and understood that he wanted to get everyone together again. Ginny got the group to stop hexing each other long enough to tell them to have a seat as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the twelve new members stood in front of them.



“We have a few new members, I’d like you all to welcome them.” He added, seeing the scrutinizing looks they were giving him and particularly the Slytherin members. “Uh, this is... Staurn...” Harry turned to him.



“Thorkildsen.” He finished for Harry.



“Ivy Hattersat” Hermione paid particular attention to the girl who had obviously read Hogwarts; A History.



“Alun Embleton” The next Slytherin introduced himself; he was the one who Harry remembered voiced confidence in their Headmaster.



“Gladis Worksworth” A Slytherin girl said, flicking her long golden yellow hair off her shoulder.



A squat, dark skinned boy stepped forward from the Slytherins “Beauford, but call me Ford, Kiblinger.”



“Robert Stannersburn.” The over-excited boy waived to the group. “I’m in Ravenclaw!”



“Judith Weatherley, Ravenclaw.” The young girl said to her shuffling feet, but looked up with a shy smile before hiding behind Robert’s tiny frame.



After everyone was introduced, Harry dismissed the meeting. When the room was clear of everyone except for Neville, Luna, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, Harry held their own little meeting.



“So, what do you think about our new members?” He asked, chucking a cushion back to the corner.


“I don’t know, Harry, they seemed alright to me.” Hermione said, tucking a frizzy loose strand behind her ear after she lobbed another pillow on Ron’s stack. “That Ivy girl is a prefect.”



“So’s Malfoy.” Ron said skeptically, picking up the tower of pillows, “Yeah, they’re not like the Slytherins we’ve been acquainted with, but I’m not sure if I trust them.”



“Just because they’re in Slytherin house, doesn’t automatically make them evil, Ronald. It’s just that they’re easily brainwashed by the Turslcants that live in the dungeons.” Luna batted with transcendental conviction.



Neville shrugged when the four looked to him for an explanation, as Luna was still momentarily lost in her own world. “Well, they came here and didn’t cause any trouble. I suppose that’s a start.”



“I, for one, am glad they came. It had to take guts to come in here and want to join when no other Slytherin has.” Ginny said, magically dropping the last pillow in its place.



“They were sincere, weren’t they?” Harry shrugged as he held the door open for Luna and Neville.



“I sure hope so.” Ron sighed, walking back into the hall with Hermione and Ginny. “It’s either good news or bad news.”



The polished door closed behind Harry with a muffled thud before disappearing into the stone corridor. He wondered if he had done the right thing, now that the opportunity to change his mind was gone.






A/N: Wow! I truly have the fastest Beta in the World, thanks Whizzbee!! Another chapter down, sorry it’s kinda ‘boring’ but I promise the next one, Slightly Different will be, well..... (insert evil laugh) Thanks for the reads and reviews....
Slightly Different by PatronyBologna
Chapter 11






Slightly Different










October had been an exciting month for Harry. Their first Quidditch match of the season was played against Hufflepuff where the outcome had been in Gryffindor’s favor despite loosing Dennis Creevey to a Bludger within the first fifteen minutes of play. Ron, with his new confidence, defended the posts brilliantly. Hufflepuff were only able to score once against him. Ginny and Katie were mavericks on their brooms and worked well together, executing plays Ron had drawn up the week before. Ginny, Harry had noticed, scored fifty points to Katie’s twenty. He had caught the Snitch after feinting, surprised that the tiny golden ball just happened to be next to him as he pulled up from the dive.



Professor Lupin had continued Moody’s lessons on the Patronus Charm. It was remarkable how many students were able to conjure the silver formless vapor when Mad-Eye wasn’t growling at them. However, he knew from experience that a grumpy professor was the least of your worries when dealing with the Dementors, but he didn’t want to discourage his classmates. Almost all the ‘original’ D.A. members could now produce a fully fledged Patronus; all, that is, except for Ron.



Divination joined the ranks of his least favorite classes. He was hoping that Professor Firenze would make more sense that Professor Trelawney, but instead he was left even more confused. Harry and Ron started to lean towards Hermione’s camp - it was all a load of rubbish.



Whenever homework and other obligations lightened up, which sadly wasn’t as often as they would have liked, Harry, Ron, and Hermione would walk across the lawn to visit Hagrid. He would often give them updates on Madame Maxine and Grawp, his giant brother. Hagrid told them that Grawp could now speak broken English, though Harry could hardly believe that anyone but Hagrid could understand him.



The butterflies had grown tremendously over the last two months; they were now as big as his hands and excreted a thin layer of ice on whatever they were attached to. Neville’s butterfly had crawled up onto his sleeve, freezing his robes to his arm and dragon hide glove. Hagrid was able to coax it back onto an icicle and Hermione was quick with a warming spell.



Harry was especially excited today, for tomorrow was Saturday, the first Hogsmeade trip of the year. However much he loved Hogwarts, it was nice to have a break once in a while. Even Professor Snape couldn’t dampen his spirits towards the upcoming furlough when he assigned a foot and a half essay on the accomplishments of Vurgeta Oxley, a witch who had discovered the five uses of Trillium.



Climbing up out of the dungeons, the trio arrived on the main floor of Hogwarts where they usually said their good-byes for the afternoon, Ron and Hermione had their class with Dumbledore. Today, however, was a different story.



“Come on, Harry.” Ron said, “There’s something I want you to see.” He looked at Hermione and smiled mischievously before laughing at Harry’s reluctant furrowed brow.



“Uh, I thought that this was between you, Hermione and Dumbledore?” Harry asked, letting Ron pull him upstream along the crowded corridor to the Headmaster’s office.



“Well, now it has to do with you.” His best mate called over his shoulder as he plowed through a swarm of first years, making Harry’s curiosity get the better of him.



“Bogus Whizzbees” Hermione opened the passage to the spiral stairwell as the gargoyle leapt aside.



Once through the door, they found Dumbledore waiting at his desk, expecting their arrival.



“Good afternoon,” Dumbledore greeted them. “I take it you’re ready then Mr. Weasley?” He asked when he saw Harry enter the room.



“Why not give it a go.” Ron grinned as he walked over to the cabinet of magical instruments.



“You might want to have a seat, Harry.” Hermione directed him to a chair he had already spent too much time in and pulled out a journal, ink, and quill; ready to take notes as she settled into the adjacent chair.



“Has Mr. Weasley told you why you’re joining us here today?” Dumbledore asked as he cleared his desk of parchments he was working on to make way for the Pensieve that Ron had brought over.



“No.” Harry was truly puzzled.



“Well, he’s about to tell you, I’m sure.” Dumbledore conjured another chair for himself beside the desk as Ron took the Headmaster’s when he left it. “Whenever you’re ready, Mr. Weasley.”



“Okay, here it goes.” He grinned and took out his wand.



Ron closed his eyes as he set behind the desk. Harry watched as his face relaxed and his breathing slowed. After a few moments, he scrunched his nose and drew his wand to his temple just like the many times he had watched Dumbledore and Professor Snape do. The glistening memory freshly pulled from his mind, Ron directed it into the Pensieve and opened his eyes.



“There, I think this one will do.” Ron smiled again. “Do you want to see for yourself, Professor?”



“No, I’m sure you did just fine, Mr. Weasley.” Dumbledore gave Ron a nod of confidence.



“Okay, then. Uh...” Ron seemed falter as to how he should proceed. “Well first off, Harry, I want you to know that this is not your fault. You have to promise me that you won’t feel the least bit guilty. It’s kind of a good thing really, it could have been a lot worse I suppose... Promise me?”



“I’ll try not to then.” Harry replied doubtfully, completely unaware of what was going on, yet having the feeling that he wouldn’t like it.



“Dumbledore says you’ve had experience with the Pensieve before, so I don’t need to tell you how to do it, right?” Ron asked looking back and forth between the Headmaster, the Pensieve, and Harry. When the latter nodded, Ron’s grin reappeared, “Let’s go then, shall we? Hermione, are you coming too?”



“Of course.” She put her journal and quill on the desk. “After you.”



“See you in a minute then.” Ron said before leaning into the Pensieve and being magically sucked into its mist.



Hermione was next; she too leaned over and disappeared into the stone basin. Harry turned to his questionable gaze to his Headmaster in a silent plea for an answer to what was happening.



“It’s alright, Harry. Let him share this with you.” Dumbledore looked at him reassuringly. “They’ve worked hard to get to this point, trust them.”



Harry merely gave an uneasy smile, that wasn’t exactly what he wanted to hear and then he too leaned over the Pensieve and fell headfirst into Ron’s memory.



Falling through the mist, he kept his eyes closed until he completely stopped and felt something firm below his feet. Slowly opening his eyes, he found Ron and Hermione’s faces beaming back at him.



“Come on, Harry, let’s have a seat.” Ron flicked his head back.



When his two friends had stepped away, he caught the full sight of the memory. They were in a large stone hall; urns and torches lined the walls that held up the enchanted ceiling of the night sky. It was a familiar scene, but slightly different than what he had ever experienced it before. They were in the Great Hall and stood in the middle of what he had known by experience, the Welcoming Feast.



“Here, let’s sit in our usual spots, nobody else is.” Ron pulled Harry alongside the table and set him down of the bench. “It’s going to start in just a minute.”



“Harry, what are you thinking? You haven’t said a word.” Hermione, who he didn’t realize was sitting next to him asked.



“Er- we’re at Hogwarts.” Harry muttered, scanning the Gryffindor table for a familiar face. This was, after all, Ron’s memory.



“Welcome young Witches and Wizards, welcome to Hogwarts.” A sweet, but austere voice echoed through the hall, brining the students to attention.



Harry looked up to where Dumbledore had perched during the festivities, but in his stead, found a frail looking,short witch dressed in dark brown robes adorned with embroidered gold swirling trim and a matching wide-brimmed hat where the golden beaded edge sparkled with the slightest movement. She reminded him of a portrait in Dumbledore’s office.



“I would like to make a few introductions before we begin our wonderful feast.” The witch turned back to the head table and motioned for a man seated at the end to come forward.



The man rose from his place and joined what Harry assumed was the Headmistress’s side. He was tall; his thin graying hair curled just above his shoulders contrasting with the rich moss-green hue of his robes. His face contorted in what looked like a nervous smile as he dabbed his forehead with a graying handkerchief.



“I would like to introduce to you our new Ancient Runes instructor, Professor Ealdred Sigefert.” The woman smiled and joined the applause that arose from the students, none of which Harry could recognize.



The man slipped his handkerchief back inside his robe and cleared his throat with a sputtered cough. “Uh... Thank you. It’s an honor to be here.” He gave a slight bow to the mass of students, then turned and bowed to the witch; stumbling slightly, he bumped her hat off. “Thank you Headmistress Craster.”



Looking even more terrified when the hushed laughter rising from the students reached his ears, the man nodded his head and quickly resumed his seat at the end of the table, dabbing wildly at his brow with shaking hands. Harry watched him while Headmistress Craster secured her coif and continued on about the coming year as if nothing happened.



“Bit of a nervous bloke, isn’t he?” Ron nudged him. “I’ll explain it a minute, let’s get back.”



The memory started to blur and swim before Harry’s eyes as he felt his body fly upward and out of the pensive. Catching his balance and his position in the room, he sat back down in his chair.



“How did it go?” Dumbledore asked the group, smiling over his spectacles.



“Just fine.” Ron and the Headmaster exchanged curious glances.



“Ron, Harry probably wants to know what that was all about.” Hermione snapped him back to Harry.



“Yeah, what was that? Where were you? Where was everyone else for that matter?” Harry looked to his friend for answers.



“Well, I thought I’d introduce you to good ol’Ealdred.” Ron said off handed.



“Who is this Professor Ealdred Sigefert and why do you have a memory of him... and all those other people?” Harry’s confusion only grew.



“That was a Hogwarts Welcoming feast, only it took place two hundred and seven years ago. As for Professor Ealdred Sigefert, that was his memory.”



Harry’s mouth fell open, he couldn’t help it. He turned to Dumbledore who nodded in confirmation as Hermione reached out for his shoulder to comfort him.



“But... how can that be his memory if-?” Harry absently put his finger to his temple, “if it came from your head!”



“Harry, remember the Department of Mysteries... well, of course you do.” Ron rolled his own eyes at such a dumb remark.



“You know how I was- uh, a bit of a nutter and I summoned one of those brain things that were swimming in the tank?” Ron assessed the composure of his friend before continuing on his explanation. “Well, that was the- that was the brain of Professor Sigefert and all the memories that went with it.”



Harry felt faint, his stomach fell to the floor before the sensation of guilt started to pulse through his veins, a promise made or not.



He looked to Dumbledore, unable to face Ron. “Is that even possible? He’s sick right? It’s only temporary... I should have stayed and got that- that thing off of him.”



His Headmaster wore an expression of soberness, folding his long fingers together on his lap, it confirmed to Harry that Ron was indeed not sick and this was not temporary.



“Harry... Harry, you promised Ron that you wouldn’t do this. It’s not your fault.” Hermione’s voice shook as she tried to siphon off his guilt while Harry stared blankly at the side of the mahogany desk.



“Harry, I’m fine. Now will you look at me and stop blaming yourself, it’s not as bad as you think.” Ron’s voice was uncharacteristically strong. “Harry, will you please look at me.”



“Ron, I...” Harry could only look at Ron’s crooked robe collar where a speck of afternoon’s lunch missed his mouth. “I should have....”



“Are you about done, really?” Ron had dared him.



Slowly, his eyes climbed up Ron’s freckled neck to his chin and with one great last effort, their eyes met.



“Look, this isn’t such a bad thing. Professor Sigefert was brilliant, really brilliant. Not only did he specialize in Ancient Runes, he was well versed with Ancient Magic and forgotten potions.”



“But he’s in your head!” Harry was feeling a strange anger towards Ron’s optimistic outlook.



“Well, yeah... sort of. Harry, this could have turned out horrible, but it didn’t.” Ron’s face lit with excitement. “Think about it, he knows things, I know things.”



“You’re not you!” His anger was now evident.



“I am me.” Ron shot back, leaning across the desk like he was about to launch himself up. Hermione gave a little squeak at the heated exchange. “Harry, its just memories. If you could step away from your presumed guilt for just a second, you’d see that I can help you!”



“You want to help me?” Harry was on the brink of another tirade in Dumbledore’s office as he too teetered on the brink of his seat. “You’re the one who’s... who’s... ”



“Oh shut up you two and stop bickering!” Hermione’s unexpected outburst silenced the room. Remembering that the Headmaster was seated across from her, she blushed furiously. “Sorry Professor.”



“Not at all Miss Granger, you’ve sufficiently gained their attention.” Dumbledore winked.



Hermione turned back to the two childish boys who were glaring between each other.



“Harry, he’s fine with it. He’s accepted it. He’s worked hard to sort things out and control it.” Hermione’s stern voice hit him before she turned to Ron. “Give him a minute, Ronald. It’s a bit of a shock, honestly.”



‘She was right’, Harry thought. It pained him to know that Ron would never be the same, that he hadn’t been the same since that night. As he thought back, connecting the dots yet again to Ron’s behavior, it all made sense.



“I’m sorry.” He and Ron murmured at the same time as their countenances softened.



“I’m sorry.” Harry said again, leaning back into the chintz chair.



“So am I.” Ron confirmed. “It’s just that with his knowledge we can help you.”



“Dumbledore told us that Lily, your mother, invoked a sort of ancient magic to protect you from Voldemort,” Hermione said discreetly, “It could work again. We can help.”



Not knowing what to say, feeling ashamed of himself for being upset with them in the first place when they offered such a grand gesture.

“I guess this explains all those meetings you two had this summer then?” Harry asked off hand.


“He’s been helping me sort through Sigefert’s memories and letting me use his Pensieve.” Ron gave a thankful nod towards his Headmaster. Harry had remembered seeing the Pensieve back in the library at Grimmauld Place.



“Hermione, well...” He blushed slightly as he explained her part in the ordeal. “She was with me when I first discovered something was different. She’s been writing everything down and we’ve been looking up some of the spells and stuff I remember.”



“What is it that you- uh, remember?” Curiosity was making its way back over the ebbing anger, guilt, and shame.



“Loads of stuff really. We know there’s more, but I haven’t sorted it all out yet.” Ron’s smile returned at his interest. “There’s a whole other lifetime crammed in here.” He shook his head as if he expected it to rattle.



“Well now, I don’t think I’m needed here anymore. I heard that the house elves have prepared my favorite dishes tonight.” Dumbledore’s chair scratched across the floor as he stood up. “You’re free to discuss matters as long as you wish; I only ask three things of you.”



Ron, Hermione, and Harry gave him a consensual nod before he continued.



“First, please put the Pensieve away and do not venture into another memory without my presence. Second, you are not to speak directly about this outside of this room. Harry, I trust you know what to do with this information.” Dumbledore eyed him, he understood that this was to be locked away. “And last but not least, take comfort in each others’ strengths, accepted them for what they are and the intent in which it’s offered.”



When the aged Headmaster reached his office door, he turned again to his students with a stern gaze.

“And do try not to get into any trouble tomorrow. Misters Fred and George Weasley will accompany you in Hogsmeade, although I daresay with those two, you might already be in trouble.”



Dumbledore walked over the threshold and pulled the door shut behind him, leaving the three friends to their business.









................................................................











Excitement electrified the atmosphere of the Great Hall during breakfast. It was finally Saturday and it was the first Hogsmeade visit of the year. Ron was flat out excited to go while Hermione voiced her concerns about being away from the protection of Hogwarts. Ginny and Ron argued with her over the risks and reminded her that Fred and George were perfectly capable of handling things. After all, they were the first to arrive on Harry’s birthday and subsequent Death Eater attacks, even though it almost cost George his life.



“What are your plans for the day, Ginny?” Harry tried his best to ask nonchalantly. “Will you be hanging out with the rest of us, you know, with Fred and George?”



“No, sorry. Not this trip. Dean and I are going together.” Ginny said coolly. “I don’t have to stay with Fred and George, even though Mum and Dad asked me to.”



“She’ll be with me and Seamus and Lavender.” Dean piped up with a wide grin on his face, “It’s a double date.”



“Oh...” Harry’s voice squeaked before he got it under control, “That should be fun then.”



Trying to change the subject off Ginny and her date, he continued flatly, the excitement for the day sufficiently deflated.



“So Ron, Hermione, what are our plans for the day.” He asked before vigorously sawing away at his sausage link.



“Uh, well. I don’t know, what would you like to do Hermione?” Ron shifted the decision to the third party.



“Oh I don’t care. I suppose we could go to all the usual spots.” A wicked smile flickered across her face, “Ron’s probably dying to see Madam Rosmerta again, it’s been months you know.”



“Excuse me!” Ron’s face changed color before the words left his mouth.



“You’re excused.” Hermione tried her best to hide her smugness in successfully provoking him.



“I’ve never-“Ron began in his defense.



“Have some fruit.” Hermione had shoved an apple wedge into his mouth; a feeble attempt in shutting him up the same way he had done to her weeks ago, however, the out come wasn’t the same.



“Iyeb lot biker” Ron spattered his continued protest before swallowing the partially masticated apple.



“Yes, well... we understood every bit of it, didn’t we Harry?”



“Yeah, I know how you feel mate, older woman and all.” Harry temporarily crawled out of his disappointment to join in Hermione’s fun.



Ron had a dreamy expression float upon his features as he sighed longingly upward.



“No brains, no mollycoddling worries about her friends, no lectures on rule breaking, no prefect duties, no books to hide behind and especially no bushy brown hair to deal with. All the Butterbeer I can drink and non-stop appetizers. Really Harry, what more could a handsome bloke such as myself want?”



“Oh, especially no brains.” Harry played both sides of the fence. “Who wants a girl who’s smarter than they are and always bossing them around anyway? Nope, any future girlfriend of mine will be as smart as a post, worship the ground I walk on and address me as His Royal Majesty, Prince Potter of Hogwarts.”



“Why only Prince Potter?” Ron asked seriously, it was a serious discussion after all.



“Because you’re the King of course.” Harry bowed mockingly towards Ron who tapped his shoulders regally with his butter knife, crudely yet effectively knighting him.



“Now it’s His Royal Majesty, Prince Harry Potter Sir of Hogwarts. A title even Dobby would agree with.” Ron’s voice had an air of a particularly snooty monarch.



“I was only kidding.” Hermione huffed; slightly offended by their outlandish ribbing now that the tables were turned.



“Oh, you were?” Harry couldn’t read Ron’s blank expression, but saw the Weasley charm reflected in his eyes. “I wasn’t.”



“Ronald Weasley!” Hermione blushed and smacked his shoulder.



The table started clearing out as students left to get ready for Hogsmeade.



“See you around Prince Potter of Hogwarts.” Ginny smiled cheekily as she and Dean walked past. “I’ll see if I can pick you out a good post on the way.”



Harry tried to fight the flush that had begun to rise.



“We better get going - Fred and George will be waiting for us at the gate.” Ron swung his legs out from under the table.



Harry too got up from the table after throwing down the last bit of sausage. He had a feeling that it would be the last decent thing he ate before coming back for dinner, Honeydukes would surely spoil his afternoon appetite and a trip to the Three Broomsticks would only aggravate the situation.



“We better get our cloaks.” Hermione told the boys as they made their way back to Gryffindor tower, catching sight of the looming, rain heavy clouds seeping over the nearby mountains. “It looks like we’re in for a downpour.”



After filing into the courtyard, joining the queue of other students who had permission to visit Hogsmeade, Harry checked to see if Malfoy and his goons would be among the masses. To his relief, they were not. Ginny, he noticed was talking adamantly to Lavender and Seamus, while Dean looked otherwise engaged, checking his watch periodically and shrugging every now and then.



Filch, after scrutinizing every permission form for forgeries and being thoroughly disgruntled by the authenticity of all them, released them on their way. Fred and George stood just outside the gates, waving excitedly like a pair of little boys flagging down the ice-cream trolley.



“Ready for some fun?” George winked.



“We’re ready.” Fred answered before Ron could get a word in edgewise. “Let’s go!”



George grabbed Hermione’s arm and pulled her away from Ron’s side. “You look lovely today. Don’t you think, Fred?”



“As always.” He cheekily replied, turning back to the crowd. “Ron, doesn’t Hermione look absolutelyravishing?”



“Knock it off.” Ron retorted, keeping step with Harry.



“He fancies Madam Rosmerta.” Hermione told George outright, “Told me so himself over breakfast.”



“Good, then I assume you’re available to accompany me to Hogsmeade then, since my little brother has other plans.” George snickered, pulling a willing Hermione even closer so that she was sandwiched loosely between the twins.



“You prefer a girl with brains, don’t you George?” Hermione asked loud enough for Ron to hear her, flashing him another wicked smile over her shoulder.



“Brains? Of course, she’d have to be able to keep up with our stunning, brilliant intellect.” George replied while a steaming Ron and an amused Harry followed a few steps behind.



“She would have to be fast on her feet, quick with spells and knowledgeable on all the rules and regulations so that we can pick and choose which ones are worthy to bend a bit.” Fred sighed deeply, “I personally prefer brunettes to blondes.”



A loud clap of thunder echoed through the valley heralding the arrival of the impending downpour. A few large drops had begun to fall, prompting them to place their hoods swiftly over their heads. Some students quicken their pace and rushed past them, trying to beat the rain. Harry was hit in the shoulder by one of the students. He was about ready to yell at them to watch it, but when the cloaked figure turned around and pulled its companion along the trail, he saw that it was Ginny. When they were a few paces in front of them, Seamus and Lavender bringing up the rear, Dean looked over his shoulder and gave Harry a wide grin. Feeling his heart sink a few feet lower, he kept his eye on what was the back of Ginny.



“Let’s step it up, Ron. That’s Ginny just ahead of us.” He told him.



“I know, did you see the look on Dean’s face when he turned around?” Ron replied with a look of disgust. “That grin said ‘I’m going to snog your sister until there’s no tomorrow and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Ron told him, “We’ll see about that.”



Ron pushed between Fred and Hermione, separating her from his older brothers. “You can do better than these two gits.”



Harry had joined them on the other side of Hermione so that now Fred and George followed behind.



“Good, I’m glad you’ve taken a bit of initiative little brother.” They could hear Fred laugh through the rain.



“Oh, but Hermione and I were getting along so well.” George whined, “You’ll pay for stealing my girlfriend!”



“Shut up!” Ron hollered back.



“Hermione, we need to keep an eye on Ginny, alright?” Harry said in a low voice.



“Why is that?” She asked.



“Dean.” Ron stated. “He’s.... he’s wanting to- you know.”



“Oh, Ron.” Hermione exasperated, “She’s allowed to you know, she doesn’t need you permission to kiss her boyfriend.”



“No Hermione, it’s not like that.” Harry rebutted, “You didn’t see him when they passed us on the trail.”



Hermione was quiet for a minute as they were now trying to avoid the puddles that were starting to form.



“But she’s with Seamus and Lavender too so I highly doubt Dean would try anything inappropriate.” She had given in. “Okay, where are they?”



“A few meters ahead, just before the crest of the hill.” Harry had pinpointed her location, he hadn’t lost track of her since they passed.



The torrential rain had started in earnest as they sloshed their way closer to Hogsmeade. Fred and George followed behind.



“Did we hear that our baby sister has some boyfriend troubles?” Fred asked with a hint of mischievous excitement.



“We’ve been waiting ever so patiently for an opportunity to test a few of our newest creations.” Harry could hear George laugh through the rumble of the latest clap of thunder. “This could be fun.”



Casting the Impervious spell on his glasses, Harry continued to keep Ginny in his sight as they hurried after them. He couldn’t get over the feeling that something was indeed slightly different in the way Dean grinned but couldn’t put his finger on exactly what it was.
In The Eye Of The Storm by PatronyBologna
Chapter 12









In The Eye Of The Storm










His trainers, cloak, and pant legs were soaked and splattered with slimy, grayish brown mud as he continued purposely along the well-traveled road to Hogsmeade. Brushing back his drenched hair from off his forehead, only momentarily stemming the flow of water that ran down his face, Harry pushed against the cold wind and plummeting sheets of rain. He didn’t care that his hood had blown off, nor did he notice the ice-cold liquid shattering his warmth as it found its way down his neck and onto his back. Harry watched as Ginny, Dean, Lavender and Seamus ran for the cover of the Hogsmeade storefronts. Through the roar of the storm, he could hear the splashing footfalls of Ron, Hermione, Fred and George behind him.



“Over here!” Fred yelled out to the group, running to the opposite side of the street where Ginny stood, taking refuge under the awning of a vacant store. Reluctantly, Harry turned around in the middle of the empty street and retreated with Fred.



Gasping for breath and pulling off their hoods, Hermione, Ron, and George joined them.



“Lousy rain.” Ron muttered; shaking his mane vigorously from what water had seeped through.



“Here, let me get that.” Hermione used a drying spell to relieve Harry, Ron and herself from being completely waterlogged to just damp.



“Hermione!” Ron whispered after she’d finished, “You’re not supposed to use magic, we’re not at Hogwarts.”



“Honestly, Ron. I’m of age now, remember?” Hermione disappointedly looked up into his mud-flecked face, “Did you really forget my birthday?”



“No.” He answered back sheepishly, “I just forgot that it was your seventeenth.”



“Look, they’re going into the Three Broomsticks.” Harry interrupted them, his eyes regaining their mark.



“I’d fancy a nice cup tea about now, wouldn’t you Fred?” George smirked while watching the vapor rise off his arm as the drying charm took effect.



Fred stuck his hand out from under the awning, catching the rain as if fell, “Of course, tea would be quite nice on a day like this, warm us up a bit.” Harry thought he had agreed to more than just the tea.



Pulling up their hoods one more time, they sprinted across the street to the pub. Once inside the doorway, Hermione made them stop so that she could perform a quick scrubbing spell on their shoes so they wouldn’t traipse mud across the floor.

“Yes, Mum.” Fred and George rolled their eyes at her insistence but dutifully followed suit and let her do it anyway.



The pub was crowded with students, all of whom were drenched and covered with mud themselves. “And Hermione was worried about us?” Ron nudged him as they clamored from the entry.



Harry looked back to see if Ron had made it into the thick of students only to find him stalled not more than ten feet from the door. “I’ll wait for Hermione and Fred. Do you want tea?”



“Sure, whatever!” Harry called back distractedly as he followed after George who was weaving his way around tables and standing students, looking for Ginny.



“Oi Ginny!” George called out to a round wooden table in the far corner of the room as he approached it. “Fancy seeing you here.”



Harry stepped around the twin to see Ginny for himself; however, it was not a happy Ginny he was looking at. Sitting next to a surprised Dean and across from Seamus and Lavender, with her arms folded tightly across her chest, Ginny gave them a half-hearted smile.



“What do you two want?” She said smoothly in an obvious attempt to keep her temper in check.



“Well, we came in to warm up a bit and get out of the rain.” George spun around an extra chair at the table and straddled it, leaning his forearms against its back as Ginny’s scowl became more apparent.



“I’m on a date, George. We’re on a date,” She said smiling to Dean before fixing her eyes on George again, “and you aren’t invited.”



“Oh, we don’t mean to bother you,” George lowered his voice, furrowed his brow and leaned into the center of the table, tapping his forefinger gently on the scarred wood, “especially if this is a date.”



“You’re fine, mate.” Seamus interrupted, chuckling at his pretense. “We’re not planning on staying here the whole time, just until it blows over, so we might as well share a table.”



“In that case, have a seat, Harry.” George perked up considerably, “What are the four of you drinking?”



“We haven’t ordered yet.” Ginny sweetly grounded out, waving her hand at the empty table.



“Butterbeer, Tea, Hot Chocolate, Gillywater?” George asked, completely ignoring his sister’s disapproval.



Seamus and Lavender were the only ones who answered. George stood up on his chair and cupped his hands around his mouth and called across the sea of bobbing heads to the counter where Fred, Ron, and Hermione were placing their orders with Madam Rosemerta.



“Oi, Fred! Two Butterbeers, a hot chocolate, and a tea.” Placing orders for Dean and Ginny whether they wanted it or not, George hopped back down, “They’ll be here in a minute.”



Harry left the awkward situation George had invited them to and rummaged around to find extra chairs. He had to cross to the other side of the pub and around a corridor to what he assumed was a backroom to find that four were available, only because they were in a stack of abandoned defective furniture unfit for use. Some were missing large chunks from the seat; others had broken backs or missing legs or stretchers. Picking the best of the lot, he wrestled them through the horde and back to their pirated table.



When he returned; Seamus, George and Fred were in deep conversation about the newest gag they we’re inventing, a miniature swamp in a bottle.



“Oh, it won’t be as large as the one we set off last year-” Fred downplayed the achievement, “But it should be just as effective.” George winked and rubbed his hands fiendishly.



“Here, I brought some more chairs.” Harry mumbled, taking the wobbliest, half seated one for himself and placing it towards the back of the group next to Ron.



“So Dean, tell me, have you been hexed by your girlfriend yet?” Fred asked as easily as if it he were asking the time, clapping him on the back.



Dean’s mouth fell open in reply.



“Don’t answer them - it’s not worth your time.” Ginny smiled briefly before shooting her brothers a look that told them they would be the only ones getting hexed.



Harry watched as Dean leaned over and whispered into Ginny’s ear before getting up from and leaving the table.



“Didn’t mean to scare you off, mate!” George said as he brushed past, following him with his head. “We were only teasing.”



“He’s gone to the loo if you must know.” Ginny fired back when Dean was out of earshot, pulling her hands tightly through her hair, squeezing out the extra water onto the floor. “He’ll be back in a minute.”



The mullioned windows had steamed up with the number of damp bodies that had crammed into the pub, obscuring his view of the street outside. Instead, Harry kept silent watching the milk swirl in his tea as Ron joined in conversation with Seamus and the twins about Quidditch while Hermione chatted with a bored Lavender, leaving a fuming Ginny to herself. Harry thought that the more time they spent with the dating couples; the more Ginny would resent them. It was because of him, after all, that they had followed them in, all because of one stupid grin.



After ten minutes or so, Dean returned with a fresh cup of tea for himself and Ginny.



“Thanks, Dean.” Ginny smiled as she wrapped her fingers around the mug and breathed in the aroma before taking a sip.



“I supposed we’ve stayed long enough.” Hermione sighed as she scooted herself away from the table.



Harry looked up from his tea to Hermione who was pulling a less than graceful Ron up off of his rudimentary chair. Fred and George made to leave as well, but before Harry could finish the thought of them letting their sister off scot-free, it happened.



“Here,” Fred pulled four ivory colored toffees from his pocket and placed them in front of each couple, “Thanks for sharing your table with us, it’s on the house.”



Ginny eyed hers with caution, unwilling to even pick it up. “What is this, Fred?”



“Oh, it’s just our latest product; they’ll make your tongue flash in rainbow colors.” George answered.



“They’re perfectly harmless and no one needs to know unless you want them too. See?” Fred popped one from his pocket into his mouth, chewed briefly and swallowed, showing them his rainbow flashing tongue as it hung from his mouth. “Perfectly harmless.”



“Cool.” Seamus promptly chewed his and showed off his stoplight tongue to the group. “Thanks, guys.”



Lavender giggled at Seamus and did the same.



“Go on, Ginny, they make your tongue tingle all funny and it tastes great too.” Seamus turned to Fred, “What is that, pineapple?”



“Well call it Tropical Typhoon.” George answered for him since his brother was too busy entertaining the table on the left.



Still leery of what her brothers had given them, Ginny chewed the toffee, swallowed and showed everyone her brilliantly flashing tongue while stifling a giggle that began to grow; plainly amused by the sensation and the laughs she got from the rest of the table.



Dean shrugged and threw back the toffee. But instead of his tongue flashing colors, his face turned bright tomato red and then progressed to blue before flushing into yellow.



“You two!” Ginny shot up from her chair, “Fix him right now or I swear I’ll.... I’ll...”



“Whoa, take it easy.” George smiled and raised his hand in defense as the other tapped Fred who gave him another chew. “Look, he just needs to gnaw on this and he’ll be better in a few hours.”



“A few hours? A few hours!” Ginny seethed, now the entire pub had turned to watch Dean fade in and out of various colors. “Out! Right now, all of you.... OUT!”



“He’ll be fine in a few minutes, really. Sorry Ginny.” Fred apologized sincerely.



“It’s not me you should be apologizing to!” Her eyes welled with angry tears.



“Sorry Dean.” George took his queue.



“Yeah, sorry.” Fred reached out to shake Dean’s hand.



Dean took it briefly before pulling back, apparently unable to speak with his mouth still busy chewing the second toffee.



“I’ll try and keep them from bothering you again, Ginny.” Hermione said sympathetically before grabbing a snickering Ron’s hand and dragging him away. “See you later.”



The twins followed them out, leaving Harry standing in the background. Ginny had turned her attention to Dean who was currently a shade he could only describe as rusty purple. He watched her give him his tea, Dean’s hands wrapping momentarily around hers as the mug was pasted.



Feeling ashamed that they had ruined her first official date with Dean, he cast his gaze to the floor but not before receiving a dispirited glance from Ginny. Right there, in that moment- that instant, Harry realized that however close their relationship had been, for whatever reason he had connected with her, Ginny held a power over him that no one else had and it hurt.



Meeting up with the rest of the group, still huddled under the storefront as the rain had only let up a bit, Harry caught wind of Hermione telling off Fred and George for giving out those toffees and Ron for not stopping them.



“You could have stopped them.” Ron simply argued back, looking down at Hermione.



“They’re not my brothers!” Hermione steeled her position against the towering redhead.





Wanting to avoid being dragged into another row, Harry found Fred leaning against the side of the building doing exactly that.



“Fred, I need to go to the apothecary to pick up some supplies.” Harry said. He had just made up an imaginary list of needed ingredients.



“Sure, no problem.” He nodded, “Where are you guys going?” Fred snapped the two out of their odd reverie.



“Hermione and I want to go to the bookstore.” Ron said nervously, fearing another telling off from Hermione for being so brazen to answer for her.



“We’ll meet you there in what, Harry, an hour?” Fred looked to Harry for confirmation.



“Alright, see you two in an hour.” George waved them off as Harry and Fred pulled on their hoods and headed back out into the rain and up the street.



Harry’s feet squelched with every step he took, his head bowed against the rain and looking only few feet in front of him. He plowed through a large puddle sufficiently re-soaking every last bit of his trainers, trousers and the bottom of his cloak. His destination was only three blocks away but seemed too close as he quickly found himself at the threshold.



He entered the apothecary and an acrid smell met his stuffy nose, effectively yet unpleasantly clearing it. Harry gathered a few miscellaneous ingredients from the laden shelves before bringing them up to the counter. He paid for them, two sickles and a knut was the price of his excuse, the elderly wizarding storekeeper handed him his wrapped package. With a quick ‘thank-you’, he tucked it into his cloak and wretched the door open with a loud clank of the bell.



“Where to now?” Fred asked as he stood beside him in the doorway.



Harry immediately flipped through his memories of Hogsmeade before he replied, “Norham and Lowicks”



“That’s on the other side of town, what do you need there anyway?” Fred asked suspiciously, preparing to venture out into the deluge yet again.



“Nothing.” Harry threw on his hood and walked off before Fred could stop him.



He had made his way up around the corner and up two full blocks before Fred put a stop to it.



“Give it up, Harry.” Fred grabbed his elbow to stop him.



“Give what up?” Harry snapped back, still determined.



“Whatever it is you’re on about.” Fred returned, releasing his grip on Harry’s arm.



“I’m not on about anything.” Harry whirled around to face him.



“I disagree.” He said coolly taking him head on. Harry could see the resemblance of his mother.



“It’s nothing!” Harry said loudly as the wind picked back up again as his throat clenched unexpectedly.



“Harry, I know how you-“



Harry could barely see Fred looking back at him oddly through the wall of tears that was building up behind his eyes. He fell to his knees in the middle of the road, clasping his hands around his neck as if trying to remove an invisible chokehold.



“Harry, what’s wrong?” Fred’s voice shook slightly with panic as he brandished his wand.



He closed his eyes as he gasped for breath, suddenly he felt the grip relax and as he fell face first into the mud.



“Harry” Ginny’s voice whispered weakly in his head.



Fred picked him up off the ground and continued to hold him upright, unsure if he could stand without assistance. “Harry, what happened?”



“Ginny.” Harry breathed, taking a great swipe with the inside of his cloak in an attempt to clean off his face, a second later he jammed his mud-smeared glasses back on and took off down the street towards the Three Broomsticks, leaving a confused Fred with no choice but to follow.



“I’m coming, Ginny, hang on.”He thought, vainly willing her to hear him as he ran as fast as he could.



The wind and rain lashed out against him as if even the weather had taken Voldemort’s side. His heart was beating so rapidly in his chest that he thought it would give out at any moment. He rounded the corner, barely keeping upright as continued his mad dash through the bemired streets. Three, two, one block left. He dug his feet into the oozing clay in an attempt to stop in front of the Three Broomsticks, nearly loosing his footing he became tangled in his cloak; it was strangling him as he tried to kick it loose. He viciously pulled at the sliver clasp and threw off the sodden mess, freeing himself of its confines. He brought himself fully upright, standing in the eye of the storm, in the middle of the deserted road.



Not knowing where to go next he closed his eyes and held his breath, his lungs burned at the lack of oxygen, but his heart took priority. Desperate to connect with Ginny again, he cleared his mind, shutting out the sound of the beating rain and the rhythmic creaking of shop signs as they too gave way to the howling wind. She could tell him where she was.



“Harry!” Fred’s voice broke his concentration. “Where is she?”



“I’m trying to find that out!” He hollered back. “Find the others!”



“Ginny! Ginny! He screamed inside his mind, willing her to hear him. “Ginny you need to tell me where you are.... Where are you Ginny?”



Nothing.



Fighting the panic he swallowed hard, pushing it aside. This was not the time for it. This was not his dream- not now- not ever.



He cleared his mind again, this time he thought back to the times he and Ginny were connected. He had been asleep, he had been lying on the bench in the hollow, they embraced, and he had been asleep again.



“That’s it!” He yelled to himself, discovering a likely pattern if not the actual method.



Harry shut all the trunks of his mind one by one until he locked out everything around him, both visual and audible, embracing the silent darkness that filled his mind. Then he went back to the trunk that mattered most, the trunk where his memories of Ginny resided. He unlocked it and willingly allowed himself to relax. She was sitting on the settee, asleep on the couch at Grimmauld, cradling a periwinkle flower between her fingers in the garden, smiling at him in the hollow, blowing out their birthday candles. All these images of this summer flashed before his eyes in quick succession before resting on the moment when he felt her relax into him as they sped across the morning sky above Hogwarts.



His eyes flew open. “I know where she is.” He yelled to Fred, breaking into all out run as he pulled out his wand. “In the alley two blocks over to next to an abandoned building!”



The closer he got, the sicker he felt. He sidled up against the building before peeking around the corner. Taking a deep breath, he tilted his head over the edge, slowly revealing the scene before him.



Ginny was pinned to the wall by Dean, one hand wrapped around her throat while the other held his wand next to her chest. Her arms dangled at her sides, her wand lay in the mud not more than five feet away. Something silvery was shining in her unclenched fist as blood oozed out from beneath it. Harry could see her eyes scream with helpless fear.



“Expelliarmus!” Harry roared as he jumped out from the corner shooting the blue streak of light at Dean. The spell hit him with such force that his wand rocketed into the air and out of sight.



Surprised by the attack, Dean let go of Ginny, who slid limply to the ground as he ducked behind a wooden crate on the opposite wall.



“Reducto!” Harry yelled as he advanced on his housemate, roommate, and D.A. member, blowing the crate into thousands of slivers with the flick of his wrist.



Before Dean could run any further, Harry had hit him with a full body bind. Dean’s legs and arms snapped together and he fell face first into a puddle. With anger pulsing through him, he approached Dean, he had half a mind to leave him there and let him drown in the few inches of miry water. Deciding that he was no murderer, Harry jammed his foot underneath Dean’s chest and kicked him over.



“Incarcerate!” Ropes flew out of his wand, binding him further as he lay on the ground.



Keeping his foot firmly on his chest and leaning all his weight onto it, his wand sparked as he buried the tip into the fold of Dean’s neck just below his jawbone.



“Harry, get off of him.” A familiar voice reached through the gust of wind that whipped through the alley. “Get off right now.”



“No!” He shouted back, still bearing down on Dean’s chest, wand firmly jarred at his throat as the heavy rain beat down upon them.


“Harry, get off!” The voice said again as it moved closer through the splattering rain. “We’ve got it under control.”



“No!” He screamed again.



“Harry.” The voice was next to him, but he was unable to discern whose it was, he didn’t care and it didn’t matter.



“I won’t let him go! Not this time!” Harry screamed with building, blinding anger, further jamming his wand into Dean’s neck, making him convulse as the spidering light flashed underneath his skin. “I won’t let it happen again!”



“Let what happen again.” The voice asked calmly.



“I won’t let him get away.” Harry spat through the rain, pressing his foot even harder into Dean’s chest, feeling his ribs crack under the pressure.



“Harry, Ginny needs you.” The voice struck a cord deep inside, jolting him from his anger. “Ginny needs you now, go and help her.”



Harry released a pale Dean of his weight and removed his wand from his neck, letting it fall from his grip to the ground as he blindly turned toward Ginny who was leaning back against the wall behind him, nursing her bleeding hand. Quickening his step, he rushed to her side and knelt down onto the ground.


She was covered in thick mud and dripping wet. Her dark, red hair clung to her head and clumped together with gobs of the wet earth. The left side of her face was scratched, bruising was already visible on her cheek and around her throat. His eyes continued to check for visible injuries, he had remembered seeing blood dripping from her hand. Following the curve of her shoulder and the lengths of her arm, his sight rested on her hand as another freckled pair wrapped bandages around the wound. For the first time he realized that he wasn’t alone with Ginny.



“She’ll be alright, Harry.” Fred spoke as Harry’s mouth fell slack.



“I’m okay, Harry.” Ginny’s hoarse voice softly scratched out before he found himself embracing her, she had pulled herself out from the wall and up into his arms.



“It’s okay, Ginny.” He whispered as he continued to hold her, tears breaking through and mixing with the rain as his fear and anger gave way. Gently pulling her head against his chest, brushing her caked hair off her face and shielding her from the torrent he whispered into her forehead. “It’s okay.”



With every passing second that he held her close, Harry could feel himself melting into her, surrendering his guard completely. If there had been any other time in his life that he shared so much of himself, it was only a fraction to what he now openly poured into Ginny, letting her take his strength while taking upon her fear and pain. He could feel her accept him as she relaxed in his arms. Nothing mattered; no one else existed as long as they were together. Harry could no longer feel the biting rain or wind as a warm, comforting sensation enveloped and radiated between them.







“Harry?” The voice interrupted him again. “Harry, we need to take you and Ginny back to Hogwarts.”



“Harry, can you hear us?” Another voice asked.



‘Go away.’ He thought, not wanting to break away from Ginny.



“Harry, let go of Ginny so we can help her.” Yet another voice requested.



Feeling Ginny’s consent, he opened his eyes and lifted his head upward. Suddenly he felt the chill in the air and the rain falling against his face. Ginny shivered involuntarily as he continued to hold her, the warmth they felt just moments ago had vanished.



Two sets of drenched arms reached out for Ginny, following them up to reveal their owners, Harry realized that it was Fred and George who pulled her unconscious body away. He watched as Fred lifted her into his arms while George brandished a chocolate bar just before they vanished into a whirl of color.



“Let’s get you up.” This time he recognized the voice of his best mate, Ron. Harry gazed at him oddly, he too was soaked head to toe and looked as pale as Ginny had. “Give me a hand, will you Hermione?”

“Oh, yes of course.” She answered as if joining the situation.



Ron tucked himself around his left shoulder while Hermione gripped his right. “One the count of three, then?”



“One, two, three.”



Harry felt his body rise and his legs fold out below him as a rush of blood pulsed through them. Regaining his balance with Ron and Hermione’s help, they turned away from the wall to face the alley.



“How are you doing?” The first voice that he had heard belonged to Lupin.



“I’m fine.” Harry replied, completely unconcerned about his own well being.



“You don’t look so good.” Lupin replied, purposely blocking the view of the rest of the alley. “Let’s get you back to Hogwarts too.”



“No, I want to stay.” He was not about to take orders. In an effort to show just how fine he was, Harry pulled himself out of Ron and Hermione’s grip, stumbling slightly under his weaken legs.



“Moody took him back to Hogwarts. There are things you don’t know, Harry.” Lupin said, finally stepping aside to reveal the empty alley.



“I know plenty.” Again, Harry kept his voice oddly sedated.



“Harry, it’ll do no good to stay out in this weather.” Hermione joined Professor Lupin’s persuasion by using the one thing to calm him down. “Ginny will need you when she wakes up.”



“Harry, I think you’d better sit back down.” Ron grabbed his shoulder again, trying to steady his wavering friend who’s color was fading fast.



A searing pain shot through him, causing Harry to collapse despite Ron, Hermione, and Lupin’s attempt to keep him upright. Pressing his palm madly against his mordacious scar, Harry fought through the scream that was leaving his own mouth and the intruder into his mind.

“NO!” He exploded before embracing the darkness once again in his mind, shutting out the world completely.
Awakenings by PatronyBologna
Chapter 13





Awakenings








Shhh, I think he’s coming around.”


Harry heard Ron’s hushed voice as he tried to open his heavy eyes. A dim light breached through the darkness, fluttering under their weight, he let them slip closed again. His head felt like it had been cleaved in two by a blunt object.

“Harry?” Hermione’s voice floated into his ear before he heard her rustling footsteps faded away.

Taking a deep draw of cool, moist air, he forced his eyes open. At first everything was wildly unfocused as disjointed splotches of color moved closer to him, squinting a bit, he could make out shape of his best mate, Ron, sitting at his bedside.

“I’m putting your glasses in your hand, mate.” He told him, feeling the cool rims on his palm.

He wanted to close his fingers around them but his body would not listen to his mind. Trying again, his fingers slowly curled but his arm didn’t even move off blanket.

“Would you mind?” Harry was surprised to hear his strange, raspy voice.

“Na, would you like to sit up too?” Ron replied, then added with reverent amusement, “I could fluff your pillows if you’d like.”

“Yeah, that would be great.” He croaked at the oddity at being pampered by Ron.

He felt his friend remove the glasses from his hand and place them on his face, tucking the ends over his ears to ensure their proper placement.

“Alright, I’m gonna lift your shoulders up and jam a few pillows underneath, you tell me if I hurt you, okay?” Ron asked nervously.

Harry blinked at the now clearly visible Ron.

“Suppose we better do it before Hermione comes back with Madam Pomfrey, she might tell you no.” Ron chuckled quietly as he stood up over Harry. Grabbing his shoulders, he gently pulled him up.

“Errr” Using what little strength he had to help himself, Harry groaned as his body arched forward.

“Almost there.” Ron positioned another pillow behind him before easing him back down.

Harry found himself yet again a patient in the Hogwarts infirmary. It was dark and he could still hear the smattering rain against the tall gothic windows. A few torches and the small candelabras next to the patient beds, dimly lit the ward, it’s light reflecting eerily off the stone walls.

“Put on a happy face, mate. They’re coming back.” Ron smiled faintly as the four figures came into view.

“Mr. Potter,” Madam Pomfrey was the first to speak, “Tell me, how are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better.” He sputtered. Harry tried to sit up a little more, but found he lacked the energy. “Sore, really sore.”

“I would think so.” The school Healer walked to the head of his bed and propped another pillow beneath him. Harry did his best not to flinch as his muscles seized at the movement. “Is that better?”

“Thanks.”

“I’ll bring you a sleeping draught in a few minutes.” She told Harry before turning to the rest of the crowd, “When I come back, you all will need to leave.” She sighed, “Of course I know better than to tell you what to do Headmaster.”

“Thank you, Poppy.” Dumbledore nodded gratefully before she shuffled away.

“Harry, are you alright?” Hermoine asked as she softly took a seat at the foot of the bed.

“How’s Ginny? Where is she?” He suddenly remembered the scene in the alley.

“She’s still asleep at the other end of the wing, Harry.” Dumbledore assured him.

“Mum, Dad, Fred and George are with her now.” Ron confirmed.

“What’s wrong with her?” His voice was still raspy, but gaining in strength.

“We’re not sure.” Lupin stepped closer in front of his bed, the torchlight illuminating his tired, troubled features. “Madam Pomfrey has tended to her injuries, but she has not woken up yet.”

“How long has it been?” Harry asked, fearful of an unpleasant answer.

Hermione smoothed a fold in the top blanket and replied. “It’s a quarter after midnight.”

“How did I get here? What happened after- after...” Harry thought back as far as he could before waking just a few minutes ago. The last thing he could vividly recall was talking with the three of them; Ron, Hermione and Lupin in the alley.

“You mean you don’t remember?” Harry could hear the concern in Lupin’s voice.

“What is the last memory you can summon, Harry?” It was Dumbledore who prompted the question over his half-moon spectacles. He was standing behind Ron on his left side and looked as if he’d had a longer day than usual, his maroon velvet robes draped awkwardly off his shoulders.

“Voldemort.” A stab of anger jolted through him, causing his hands to flinch, grabbing fistfuls of the blanket as his memory came searing back.

“And nothing after that?” His guardian asked, clearly aware of Harry’s movement.

“No, nothing.” The void in his mind caused him to ask, “Why, what happened?”

“We were hoping you could’ve told us, mate.” Ron shrugged at the irony. “You started screaming and then went into fit, thrashing around a stuff. Lupin here,” he nodded over to the Professor, “had to immobilize you before you hurt yourself. Somehow you broke free a couple of times before you went unconscious.”

“You gave us all a good scare that’s for sure.” Lupin added, “We were afraid that Voldemort was destroying your mind.”

“But I shut him out.” Harry tried to explain to them, “He tried to get in, but I fought back.”

“How far did he get, Harry, before you were able to put up your defensives?” Dumbledore asked, trying to gauge how successful he had been and whether or not any sensitive information was divulged.

“I don’t know, I thought he left rather quickly, but apparently not.” Harry searched his mind again. “He was afraid... angry and unnerved about something, then I just let my mind go blank.”

“Do you know why?” His Headmaster asked again. “What was he fearful of?”

“I’d like to think that he was scared of me,” Harry gave a wry smile, “but I seriously doubt it.”

“I’d be scared of you, mate. Especially after what we’ve seen today.” Ron chuckled uncomfortably, “Really scared.”

Harry looked to Dumbledore, he knew he was processing this new information. If anyone could figure it out, it was him. Everyone was silent, waiting for him to speak.

Dumbledore pulled slightly on his long, sliver beard before he spoke; his old, blue eyes sparked to life. “This is very interesting indeed.” He said before going silent once again.

“Where’s Dean, anyway. He’s the one that matters right now.” Harry’s demeanor changed as he set his mind back to Ginny and her attacker.

“Shouldn’t we start at the beginning, Headmaster.” The silky, loathing eloquence precede the Potion Master as he came into view, his robes curling around him as he stopped abruptly at his bedside.

“As we should, Severus.” Dumbledore agreed, “Would you mind informing Molly, Arthur and their sons Fred and George, that Harry has regain consciousness and we will discussing what has occurred today if they would care to join us.”

“Certainly.” Snape nodded at his request, his greasy hair falling in front of his face only stopping on his hooked nose, before he slipped back into the casted shadows.

“Who’s going to stay with Ginny?” Harry asked, it was more of a request than a question.

“She’ll be alright.” Lupin edged around the right side of his bed, just behind Hermione.

“How do you know? Someone should stay with her.” He didn’t understand why everyone was so willing to leave her alone.

“Harry, it’s best for the both of you if you stay calm.” Dumbledore’s eyes soothed him more than his words.

“You know Mum.” Ron said, adding to his pacification. “Harry, she won’t leave her until she know she’s alright.”



Soon enough the Weasleys had arrived at his bedside. Mrs. Weasley came straight to the head of his bed nearly knocking a contemplative Lupin over as she passed. She made to hug him, but Ron spoke up before she could reach him. “Mum, he’s really sore.”

“Oh yes, of course you are dear.” She sniffed, lightly brushing Harry dark hair off his forehead, unintentionally revealing his heated scar. She smiled wearily back, her cheeks flush and damp with newly shed tears, then she took the remaining visitor chair at the head of his bed, opposite Ron.

“Harry.” The twins echoed each other, taking up positions on the empty bed to his right. They lacked their usual playful air, taking on a more serious tone.

“How is she, Mrs. Weasley?” Harry painfully coughed, needing to hear the latest on Ginny’s condition.

“Just fine, she’s resting.” Mr. Weasley stood behind her, his arms resting on her shoulders as his wife regained her emotions.

“Well I’m finished resting,” All heads turned to look where the voice had come from, somewhere to the right of his bed. “And if you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to see Harry now.”

Dressed in a simple, white cotton nightgown, one of many the school had on hand, Ginny appeared next to Lupin and took hold of his arm to steady her balance.

“Oh baby!” Mrs. Weasley left her seat again and pulled her into her arms. “You’re awake.”

“I’m okay Mum.” Ginny weakly hugged her back, her father now joining in. “But I’d like to sit down.”

“Yes, of course.” Mrs. Weasley continued to hold her daughter.

“Here Ginny, take my seat.” Hermione got up off of the foot of the bed and made her way around to Ron.

“Ginny.”

She lifted her head off of her mother’s shoulder, turning in what seemed like in slow motion, her eyes met his.

“Harry.” Ginny returned, with help from her father, she took up Hermione’s vacant spot on his bed.

He didn’t even have to think about it, he couldn’t help it. Something was connecting them, binding them as they stared at each other. No more words were necessary as he felt the warmth of Ginny start to fill him, relaxing him and easing his pain.

Uh-hum” Ron whispered, “Harry? Uh, look at me mate.”

“What?” He asked, forcing his attention away from Ginny, lifting the unrestrained reunion.

“Uh...” Ron replied uncertainly, not expecting to get his attention.

“I think we should get started before Madam Pomfrey returns.” Dumbledore filled in the awkward gap. “As Professor Snape has suggested, let’s start at the beginning.”

“We were going to Hogsmeade.” Ron took it upon himself, relieving Harry and Ginny of the burden. “Dean seemed a bit...uh, off the mark, if you know what I mean.”

“How did you determine that, Mr. Weasley?” Snape coolly asked.

“I dunno, he was just different. He looked like he was up to no good, with Ginny that is.” Ron shrugged, he was having a hard time answering the question. “Harry saw it too, so we convinced Hermione that we should follow them. Fred and George were more than willing of course.”

“Harry told us that they; Ginny, Dean, Seamus and Lavender, went into the Three Broomsticks, so we followed.” Hermione continued where Ron had left off.

“I found them at a table in the back corner, the place was packed. I invited ourselves to join them, to which Ginny was less than pleased.” George accepted his part. “I even bought them all a round of drinks to make up for it though.”

“We stayed for awhile, but then we decided- I decided that it was time to leave.” Hermione barely finished before Fred interjected.

“I gave them all a sample of our newest creation. It was harmless, really Mum.” Fred smartly headed her off before she could get started. “Dean’s went a little haywire though, we haven’t figured out why yet, must have been a bad batch or something... Anyway, Ginny got upset and kicked us out.”

“I thought everything was fine, that Ron and I were just seeing things.” Harry made his appearance in retelling the events of the day. “I should have known, Ginny. I’m sorry.”

“Harry, what happened next.” Dumbledore wouldn’t let him linger on his apology and guilt.

“I asked Fred if we could go to the apothecary a few blocks away, on Ovingham.” Harry sputtered out, his voice growing scratchier the more he talked. “I needed a few supplies.”

Mrs. Weasley poured him a glass of water from his bedside table and tried to hand it to him. Harry was barely able to lift his arm, forcing his fingers to wrap around the cool glass as she held it.

“Let me help you with that.” She kindly said, bringing his hand and the glass to his mouth. He felt embarrassed as everyone watched him, but the water soothed his aching throat.

“There you go.” She whispered, slowly pulling the glass off his lips and out of his hands.

Fred continued the story, “After the apothecary, he said he wanted to go to Norham and Lowicks clear across town on Melkridge lane. After a few blocks, I stopped him.”

“Why did you stop him, Fred?” Mr. Weasley asked his son, curious of his reasoning.

“He, uh... seemed a bit too determined to make it to a store that closed over six months ago.” Fred looked at Harry skeptically, “But that’s when it happened.”

“Exactly what happened?” Lupin asked, leaning in closer, his hands grabbing hold of the foot rails of Harry’s bed.

“Well, his eyes glazed over and he was pulling at his throat.” Fred’s demeanor changed as he continued to describe what Harry was doing. “It was like he was being choked by someone. I pulled out my wand, checking for any unfriendlies but the rain was coming down so hard, it was difficult to see more than a block’s distance. Anyway, he collapsed to the ground so I picked him back up.”

“Ginny, she needed my help.” Harry looked to Dumbledore and Lupin, he knew that they would understand exactly what he was saying.

“I took off back towards High Street and the Three Broomsticks, it was the last place we saw her.” Harry again looked to Ginny who had kept silent. “I, uh... I knew that she wasn’t there, but it was the only starting point I had.”

“I caught up with Harry, he told me to get the others, so I sent the signal and found George, Ron and Hermione. They were up the street at Schrivenshafts.” Fred shook his head, slightly disappointed that he didn’t do more. “Harry discovered where Ginny was and took off, so when the others met me in the street, we ran over to the alley to help. We didn’t know what was happening, if there were Death Eaters or not.”

Harry looked to Ginny, making sure that she was okay before he continued. “Dean had Ginny pinned against the wall, his wand pointed at her chest while his free hand grasped her throat.”

He could feel her raw emotions, the fear returning at the memory. Mrs. Weasley noticed as well and stood beside her daughter to comfort her. Ron shifted uneasily in his chair and took Hermoine’s hand. The twin’s soberness thickened the already tense atmosphere. Harry looked to Dumbledore and then Lupin, the latter silently encouraged him on.

“I disarmed him, took him by surprise; he released her and she fell to the ground. Dean tried to hide behind a crate, but I took care of that too. As he ran, I hit him with a well place ‘Petrificus Totalus’. He fell face first into a puddle.” Harry felt like now was not a good time to admit his urge to leave him there to drown. “I kicked him over, tied him up with my wand and pinned him down. I’m not too sure what happened after that.”

“This is where I come in Harry.” Lupin nodded, “Moody and I arrived just after you destroyed the crate.”

“That’s when we entered the alley too.” Hermione spoke very softly. “We were watching from the corner, when Professor Lupin and Professor Moody appeared in front of us.”

“We couldn’t find any Death Eaters or other would-be assassins to do Voldemort’s bidding.” Fred shrugged, “I went to Ginny to help her while the others kept a look out, just in case, but by then Harry had taken care of Dean.”

“I had to convince you to get off him, Harry. Do you remember me talking to you?” Lupin asked.

“No, I just remember seeing Ginny sitting against the wall.” Harry thought back, “I remember seeing... Fred or George...” Closing his eyes to see the memory better, “it was Fred, he was wrapping her hand in a bandage, but it took me a minute to figure that much out.”

“You were kneeling there next to me and I think I hugged you,” Ginny whispered hoarsely, “that’s the last thing I remember.”

“Yeah, I don’t remember much after that either, Fred was carrying Ginny in his arms before the three of you left.” Harry turned his head slightly towards the twins. “Then Ron and Hermione picked me up, I remember seeing you then Lupin... we were talking about Dean I think”

He tentatively reached up to his forehead, softy tracing the tender scar with his fingertip. “Then Voldemort happened and that’s it. We’re back to me waking up here and feeling like I’ve been ran over a few times by the Knight Bus.”

“So what happened with Dean? Where is he?” Harry wanted to get to the point.

“Mr. Thomas is not the issue here.” Snape was blunt, “Haven’t you figured it out yet, Potter?”

Harry looked to Ginny then to Lupin and ended on Dumbledore. “That wasn’t Dean, was it?”

“No, I’m afraid it was not.” Dumbledore confirmed.

Harry knew instantly who it was, somehow he had known all along, he just didn’t want to believe it. Malfoy had threatened her and had made good on it, he had failed to stop him and he failed her.

“Malfoy” Ron snarled. “It was Malfoy.”

“The Polyjuice Potion we’ve been learning in class.” Hermoine grasped the events that led up to this, “Why did you teach us- teach him- how to brew it Professor?” She pointedly asked Snape.

“Not all things are as overlooked as you think, Miss. Granger. I was not as careless in my preparations as you presume me to be.” Snape stated as civilly as he possibly could.

“So this is your fault.” Harry seethed, if he was strong enough to launch himself at the Potions Master, he would have. “You knew this was going to happen and you didn’t stop it!”

“Harry, will you please calm down?” Lupin steady voice reached him. “There’s more, don’t jump to conclusions too quickly, at least hear him out.”

Ginny’s quivering voice gained everyone’s attention as she spoke; taking a deep breath, she continued blankly, in an effort to lessen the pain.

“Dean- I mean Malfoy, and I split up from Lavender and Seamus for a minute. He said we’d meet them at Honeydukes. We ran through the rain, I wasn’t really paying attention to where we were going, he was pulling me along.”

“Ginny, you don’t have to do this.” Harry told her, knowing how hard it was going to be. She smiled faintly, but being the Weasley and Gryffindor that she was, Ginny bravely endeavored on.

“We ducked into the alley... he kissed me.” Ginny cringed, “then his voice was odd as he started talking about how he was going to get Potter, how he was going to be rewarded.”

“It’s okay, dear.” Mrs. Weasley’s hand brushed her daughter’s head as a tear slid down Ginny’s face.

“He said that his father would be proud, getting the youngest Weasley and Potter all in the same day.” Ginny started to cry, “I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you, I’m so sorry.”

Mrs. Weasley now sat on his bed with Ginny, pulling her into a soothing embrace. Harry tried his best to be strong for the both of them, but he too struggled to keep his tears at bay, biting his lower lip to combat the burning sensation in his eyes.

“That’s when I knew that it was Malfoy.” Ginny sniffed, steeling herself with anger. “I reached for my wand, but he jerked it out of my hands, tossing it aside, then he choked me. I tried to fight him off, but I started to feel dizzy. Then I remembered the mirror Harry had given me, I slid my hand into my pocket while he was going on about how the Dark Lord would praise him above his father. He must have noticed what I was fishing for something, so I closed my fist as tight as I could around it, so he wouldn’t know what I had. He threw me to the ground, letting go of my throat. I got up as fast as I could, but it was slippery.”

“He watched me struggle, flicking his wand, as I stood back up. I was hit with the Jelly Legs jinx and fell back to the ground, then he dragged me back over to the wall and lifted me up, pinning me against it. He wanted me to call for you, Harry. He said you would come... that his Father had said that Voldemort knew you would come for Sirius, so you would come for me too.”

A small, defiant fire lit in Ginny’s eyes. “I told him that I wouldn’t do it, he couldn’t make me... before he choked me again.” Ginny’s fingers caressed her throat, remembering his hands wrapped tightly around them. “He said that it didn’t matter, he’d find you sooner or later. That’s when Harry showed up. He wasn’t expecting you just then, he wasn’t ready.”

“Thank you Miss Weasley, for telling us what happened. I know that it was difficult.” Dumbledore’s eyes were kind towards her, Ginny had done what she needed to.

“So where is Draco now?” Mr. Weasley asked Dumbledore. “The Ministry doesn’t have him in their possession, do they?”

“No, he will remain here at Hogwarts.” Dumbledore firmly stated, “We will keep him here.”

“Why the bloody hell is he staying here!” Ron roared, “You know what tried to do!”

“Mr. Weasley, I understand that you have every right to be angry.” Dumbledore addressed him quietly before turning to Professor Snape. “Would you please tell the rest of the story, Severus?”

“This wasn’t planned by the Dark Lord, it was all Draco’s doing. Narcissa and especially Lucius, were unaware of his actions.” Snape smoothly announced, “He is well taken care of, I assure you.”

“You’re not going to let him off are you?” Harry asked in Dumbledore in shocked disbelief, “He’s not going to be punished, not at all, for what he did!”

“He’ll be punished enough and with what you did to him, he’s lucky to be alive.” Snape sneered. “He’s resting at the moment and I assure you he will not bother you, Miss Weasley, or anyone else for that matter.”

“How can you be so sure?” Mrs. Weasley snapped at the supposedly reformed Death Eater.

“It seems that young Mr. Malfoy has had a hard summer. He was attempting to get into his father’s good graces by capturing Miss Weasley and Mr. Potter, redemption if you will.” Snape seemed to take in an unhealthy pleasure as one of his eyebrows cocked, “I have enlightened him on the ways of the Dark Lord, he will not be following in his father’s footsteps.” Then with a particularly twisted smile he added, “He doesn’t have the stomach for it I’m afraid.”

Harry could not believe what he was hearing and by the look on most of the faces around him, he wasn’t the only one.

“What about Dean, the real one?” Ginny asked, resting back against her mum.

“He’s fine, Miss Weasley. Dobby found him sleeping in a broom cupboard on the second floor. He immediately notified myself and Professor McGonagal of his whereabouts. It was shortly after that I received Fred’s signal, Lupin and Moody took a portkey to Hogsmeade. It was then that Professor Snape and I had realized what had happened.”

“But Lavender and Seamus, they were with him- Malfoy, what about them?” Hermione asked.

“I’ve modified Mr. Thomas’s memories.” Dumbledore calmly explained, “No one will be any wiser of the situation except for those of us here.”

“What about the Ministry? They would have sent out notices of Improper Use of Magic.” Harry knew that he would be, if he hadn’t already, be receiving yet another warning and or disciplinary action.

“I can take care of that.” Mr. Weasley spoke up.

“It’s already been handled, Arthur, but thank you.” Dumbledore addressed him.

“I still don’t understand why Malfoy isn’t being punished.” Ron didn’t bother hiding his anger and confusion. Harry was wondering the same thing.

“Draco, though he has done a terrible thing in attacking Miss Weasley for the sole purpose of giving her and Harry to Voldemort, he can help us.” Dumbledore began. “I have contacted his mother, she will be arriving tomorrow to discuss the arrangements. Right now I can only ask you to trust me, although I know in this situation it will be very difficult thing to do.”

Harry watched Dumbledore as he connected with everyone in the room. Most of them gave him their silent, reluctant approval.

“Miss Weasley, I assure you that Draco Malfoy will no longer be a threat to you, you have my solemn word.” Dumbledore vowed to Ginny, reaching his hand out to hers.

At first she hesitated, but accepted it nonetheless. “I trust you, Professor.”

“Very well, then.” Dumbledore clasped his other hand over the top of hers before letting go completely.

“If I could first have a word with Harry and Ginny in private please, I will discuss matters further with all of you later, it’s getting late and we all, especially these two, need our rest.” The Headmaster asked of Lupin and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Snape left immediately, while the others stayed around a minute to say their good-byes.

“We’ll visit you tomorrow.” Hermione said, Harry could tell that it had been a hard day for her as well.

“Yeah, we’ll sneak you up something for breakfast.” Ron whispered, careful not to be heard.

“Good night, dear.” Mrs. Weasley kissed Ginny one last time turning to him. “Thank you, Harry.”

“See you later.” Fred nodded.

“You know, I think your more trouble than your worth, mate.” George smiled as he got up to leave.

“Not as much as you two.” Harry returned the favor.

“I’ll see you first thing tomorrow, Harry.” Lupin sat momentarily beside his bed and set a felt wrapped item on the nightstand that he had pulled out from his cloak.

“If you need me before then, you know how to find me.” The Marauder faintly smiled as he stood up to take his leave.

“Thanks” Harry whispered as he gazed at the last living connection he had to his father, truly grateful for his kindness and understanding.

His guardian nodded and slipped his hands into his trouser pockets before he turned and walked away, glancing back only once before disappearing into the shadows.



When everyone had cleared out, Dumbledore conjured up a nice, cushy chair for himself before addressing them.

“Harry, Ginny.” He spoke softly. “I believe that you have made progress in your connection. Am I right?”

“Er, yeah. You could say that.” He caught Ginny’s eye and smiled briefly before returning to Dumbledore.

“How did you accomplish this?” He asked them, mainly focusing on Harry.

“I don’t know.” Harry shrugged, “It just happened.”

“I don’t know either, Professor.” Ginny agreed, “I can uh... feel him in my head, if that makes any sense.”

“It makes perfect sense, Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore propped his elbows on the padded arms of his chair, resting his chin on his joined hands. “Harry, can you tell when Miss. Weasley is connected to you?”

“Yes, but only just recently has it worked both ways.” Harry admitted before clarifying, “She can, eh- connect with me too. That’s how I felt her the first time, I just knew.”

“From what you’ve told me this evening and from what others have recounted, I understand that you truly are unaware of what happened between you two in the alley.”

Harry and Ginny exchanged puzzled glances to each other then turned back to Dumbledore.

“I want both of you to close your eyes and think back to when you embraced.”

Following his instructions, they did what he asked.

“Harry, I want you to tell me how you felt.” He asked him calmly, almost extracting the answer himself.

“I wanted to help her, to take away her pain.” Harry relived the moment as best as he could remember it, the warmth began to grow again. “I gave her my strength.”

“And Miss Weasley, what did you feel.”

“I felt him fill me, like we were... together somehow.” Ginny whispered back. “I felt better, I wasn’t afraid... it was... warm.”

“Slowly now, very slowly, I want you to open your eyes.” Dumbledore’s voice was distant in Harry’s ears, but obeyed his request.

He cracked open his eyes; a marvelous, glorious white light surrounded him and Ginny. He could see her looking back at him just as amazed as he was by the brilliance that enfolded the two of them and the comforting warmth is gave off.

“Harry.” Dumbledore’s voice this time was stronger, “Harry, Ginny. You need to look away now. Focus your attention on my voice.”

It was difficult for both him and Ginny, but they complied and broke the connection as he instructed. The light fading as the cool night air seeped its way back in.

Ginny couldn’t help the smile on her face. “What was that?” She asked the Headmaster, “It was beautiful.”

“That, Miss Weasley, is very powerful magic.” He replied, a wide smile breaking across his face.

“But, how did we do that?” Harry asked, “I can even get out of bed.”

“I’m guessing that between your gift to Miss. Weasley and the subsequent intrusion by Tom, you’ve exhausted yourself.” Dumbledore looked to him, “It originated from Miss Weasley until it reached you, Harry. I’m assuming that you feel better now?”

“Yeah, I do.” Harry tried to hide the smile, but failed miserably when he noticed Ginny’s.

“Both of you need your rest now, we’ll discuss things further when we all have clear heads.” Dumbledore stood up, yawned and removed his chair.

“Harry, as always, you know what to do.” He winked at him, before turning to Ginny.

“I believe Madam Pomfrey will be in to check on her patients, I’m sure she will have the two of you out of here as soon as possible.” Dumbledore smiled, “In the meantime, please don’t try to reconnect until I can assist you, with powerful magic comes great responsibility.”

“Yes, Professor.” Both he and Ginny agreed to his stipulations.

“Now, a bit of shut eye would be nice.” Dumbledore yawned again, “I’ll see you in the morning, then.”

“Good night, Professor.” Ginny whispered as he turned to leave.

“Good night.”






“Well, Harry?” Ginny asked, easing off his bed when they were alone.

“Well?” He replied.

“How would you fancy a bunk mate?” Ginny asked plainly.

“Uh...” He was caught off guard by her request.

Ginny slipped under the covers of the bed next to his and pulled them up around her tight as she laid on her side looking at him. “Will this do?”

“Yeah, it’ll do.” Harry carefully eased forward. It was still painful to move, but he managed to slide off all but one pillow from out under him before rolling over on his side facing Ginny. Gently he lowered his head onto the remaining pillow, looking across at the red headed girl.

“Pomfrey’s gonna kick you out and back to your old bed you know.” Harry whispered, his face half buried in the pillow.

“Not if I can help it.” Ginny furrowed her brow mockingly. “Shh! Here she comes.”

Madam Pomfrey’s footsteps grew louder until they stopped abruptly at the foot of their beds. Harry and Ginny exchanged fleeting glances of mischief before assuming an innocent face.

“I suppose you didn’t like your bed, Miss Weasley?” The school Healer asked skeptically and she stode between the beds and set a tray with two glasses and a deep purple flask down upon the nightstand.

“Yes, the mattress was lumpy and I didn’t like the view.” Ginny answered matter-of-factly, keeping a straight face as Madam Pomfrey poured two doses of potion.

“Well, there’s not going to be a view in a few minutes.” The elderly witch huffed, handing her and Harry their draughts. “Down with it, the both of you.”

Harry felt the sleeping draught ooze down his throat, instantly relaxing him as the potion took effect. Madam Pomfrey, having sufficiently supervised their medication, walked back to her desk with her tray in hand.

“See you in the morning.” He whispered across to Ginny who was having a hard time fighting the effects as well.

“See you in the morning.” She managed to whisper back before they both succumbed and slipped into restful, peaceful sleep.





A/N: Alright, I've realized that it's been awhile since I've given proper respect to my Beta Whizzbee! Thank you kindly dear!!! I'd also like to thank my reviewers... and my readers. *Maybe I need to give out a few more PBA awards!!*
I'm almost done with the next chapter which unfortunately isn't as 'action packed' as the last two, but you can look forward to some fluff. Thank you, thank you, thank you! ~Patrony
Shades Of Black by PatronyBologna
Chapter 14


Shades Of Black



It was late afternoon before Harry began to stir in his bed. He draped his right arm over his left shoulder and tucked it in close to his chest as he lay awkwardly on his side, legs kinked this way and that, and his bare feet peeked out from beneath the blanket. The effects of the Sleeping Draught had worn off long ago, leaving his body to take whatever time it needed to recover on it’s own.

He was having a particularly odd dream. He was at The Burrow, standing alone in the middle of the newly restored hollow to be exact. It must have been in the evening or so he thought, the sky above him was a pale, clear blue streaked with sheer orange colored clouds. Harry was dressed in a clown costume complete with fuzzy rainbow hair, mismatched-oversized clothes and shoes large enough to fit Hagrid’s half brother, Grawp. An overwhelming sense of embarrassment, mingled with dreaded anticipation, and topped off with a shot of nerves, caused his stomach to squirm and bind in knots. He could hear voices, familiar ones, laughing from all around the hedges as he tried to pull off the bulbous cherry nose.

“Look at him, will you!” Roared a voice that he knew belonged to Fred Weasley.

“He’s a right sorry sight, if I do say so myself.” Bill’s voice chuckled.

“Good luck with that, Harry.” George’s voice offered him sarcastic support.

Harry tired harder, tugging desperately at the bright red spot between his eyes.

“Oh be nice,” the motherly voice of Mrs. Weasley rang through the hedge, “It’ll all be over in a minute, Harry dear. Just take a deep breath, it’ll be alright.”

“I can’t believe he’s doing this.” Ron’s voice carried incredulously. “What is he thinking, of all the times and of all the places he does this now?”

“Don’t listen to him, Harry.” Hermione’s reassuring tone only caused his impending panic to firmly grab hold. “I think it’s wonderful.”

“Harry, if you thought that Hungarian Horntail was a handful, you better change your mind!” Charlie, or at least what he could remember Charlie’s voice being, echoed in his ears.

By now he had given up on his nose and wrenched at his clothes. Surely if they were four sizes too big they would come off, but sadly enough, they did not. Remembering that he was, after all- a Wizard, he felt around the waistband of his pink and purple spotted ladies bloomers to find his wand. However, he didn’t make much progress as his heart plummeted to the ground when a flowery scent reached his nose.

“Ginny” He whispered, scrambling for cover as the Weasley voices laughed hysterically through the hedges which they too seemed to join in the fun as it rustled like it was caught in a sudden gust of wind.

“You can’t hide, Harry. It’ll do no good, it’s better just to meet it head on.” Mr. Weasley’s voice offered advice to what Harry considered was easier said than done, given his current predicament.

Before he could make up his mind on whether to hide underneath the bench or behind the chaise lounge, everything went dark and a spotlight now shown directly on him. Frozen, just like a deer caught in the headlights as the muggle saying goes, he awaited his fate, blinded and feeling- not to mention looking, utterly stupid.

“Ginny?” He called out into the black expanse, “Ginny?”

“I’m right here, Harry. Wake up.” Her voice was slightly playful.

Harry felt a hand on his shoulder, the effects of which immediately dislodged him from the bizarre scene he had found himself in.

“Did you know that you talk in your sleep?” Ginny said easily as she poured him a glass of water at the bedside table. “I know all your secrets now, Harry James Potter.”

“You what?” said Harry, his eyes opened wide before shutting again after being assaulted by the sunlit infirmary. “What did you say?”

Harry rolled over on his back and pressed the fleshy part of his palms over his eyes.

“I said I know all your secrets.” Ginny repeated merrily in a singsong voice. “All of them.”

“You do not.” He said as he stiffly pushed himself upright, only cracking his eyes enough to barely see the bright and blurry room through the setting sun.

“Here, take your glasses,” She said, pushing them into his hand, “and I’ve got a drink of water for you when your ready, the Sleeping Draught always gives me a bad case of cotton mouth.”

“What did I say?” He asked as calmly as he could, worried about what he could have said and having no recollection of it. After putting on his glasses, he took the offered drink from her hand.

“Oh, that’s for me to know.” Ginny replied cheekily, spinning around in her nightgown before she took a seat on her bed. “I wouldn’t want to embarrass you with all the sordid details.”

“You seem like your feeling better, have you been released?” He asked before taking a sip.

“Yeah, Madam Pomfrey gave me a clean bill of health after lunch, thanks to you.” Ginny said, picking at the ends of a lock of hair she had slid between her fingers.

“You’re disappointed?” Harry had understood her queue, whether she meant give it or not.

“Oh,” she sighed, flicking the lock back over her shoulder. “She said I could stay as long as I liked, provided that I didn’t disturb anyone. I’m not disturbing you, am I? Anyway, I’m not sure I want to go back just yet ”

“I know what you mean.” Harry answered honestly, running his free hand through his hair, pulling gently at the nape of his neck, easing the tension from the residual headache that remained. “Everyone will ask questions and expect answers or even worse, just stare.”

“Well, it’s not just that.” Ginny confided in him, “I’ve got Dean to deal with.”

“Oh.” Harry realized the scope of her dilemma, although he had no advice to give her.

“Ron and Hermione said that they’d stop in after dinner.” Ginny changed the subject quickly. “Mum and Dad left with Fred and George earlier this afternoon. Mum said that you need to get your rest and eat. You know, all the usual stuff she tells us. Fred and George left a care package for you, Ron has it. I think it’s more of those rainbow toffee thingys, but with those two, anything’s possible.”

Harry took another large gulp of water while she continued to talk, listening to what she was and wasn’t saying.

“Neville said ‘hello’, at least that’s what Luna said he said... she was here this morning. I guess that the word is that I got a sudden fever and you’ve whacked your head on a swinging shop sign and it knocked you out cold.” ‘That’s a believable excuse,’ he sarcastically thought. “Luna says that it was a Bonkard Keffle the made the sign hit you and that I accidentally ate the droppings of a Shertfield Louse.”

Ginny took a quick breath and rambled on, “Lupin peeked in on you too, but didn’t stay. I haven’t seen Dumbledore, I suppose he’s busy with everything. Hermione lent me one of her books, I’ve been reading it while you slept. It’s dull, really, all about the Goblin wars, she said that it’ll come up on my O.W.L.’s, but I’m glad to have it anyway.”

“Ginny.” Harry took the opportunity during a pause, it was all that needed to be said and he knew she understood him.

She sat there plainly on the edge of the bed, momentarily at a loss of words as if the last few minutes had emptied them all from her mind. “Thanks, Harry.”

“No, don’t thank me.” He shrugged and returned the empty glass to the bedside table. “I promised, remember?”

“How could I forget.” Ginny hopped off the bed and busied herself by pouring him yet another glass of water.

“Ginny, don’t.” Harry reached out and took her wrist closest to him, the one that was holding the glass she was trying to pour the water into.

He let go and continued to watch her as she to refilled his tumbler. The only sound was that of the pitcher hitting the rim and the slosh of the water that flowed between them.

Ginny kept quiet and offered him the drink.

Harry accepted it and set it back down on the nightstand in one smooth motion. He watched her retreat to the foot of his bed, pulling at the tangled mess of bedclothes in a feeble attempt to tuck them back in.

“It’s not your fault.” He said at last, he had a feeling of what was on her mind but resisted the urge to reconnect as Dumbledore had requested. “There was no way for you, me, or anyone else to know.”

“That’s not it, Harry.” She said through gritted teeth, yanking hard on the bottom sheet. Ginny’s hair fell forward, hiding her expression from view.

“It’s not?” He asked, pulling his legs up to his chest and wrapping his arms around them. “But I thought that...”

“You were wrong.” She said, now pulling at the other corner, still bound and determined.

“Will you stop that please?” Harry asked with hint of annoyance.

“Your bed needs to be made, you can’t sleep in this.” Ginny snapped back.

“Leave the bed, Gin.” He asked, keeping his voice calm.

“I will not.” and tugged again, smoothing out the ridges.

“Please?” He asked again.

“No.” She shot at him and tucked the edge of the coverlet around to the underside of the mattress.

Slightly raising his voice and brow, Harry uttered one word, “Molly.”

Ginny dropped the coverlet, marched right up to Harry and leaned towards him, making sure that they were face to face so that he could not mistake her sentiments.

She said each word very clearly and very slowly. “I am not my mother.”

“I didn’t say you were.” He answered back, satisfied that his idea had worked.

“Why did you call me by my mother’s name!” Ginny’s nose twitched at the last three words.

“It’s your middle name isn’t it, Ginevra Molly Weasley?” He kept a straight face, knowing that he had got her.

Ginny was dumbstruck but still fuming. Harry watched her as she opened her mouth to rebuke him but was unable to produce a proper argument. It was a moment worth remembering, whether she was mad at him or not.

“I needed to get your attention and now I’ve got it.” He shook off his fleeting reverie.

“Yes you have.” Ginny stood up straight and added, “And don’t you ever call me by that name again, got it?”

“It worked didn’t it? Besides, your mum’s not so bad, I like her. She’s always taking care of me, sometimes she’s a bit overbearing, but I know she does it because she loves me.” Harry was struggling to keep the corners of his mouth from curling.

“Yes, she loves you, Harry. Happy?” Ginny eyed him curiously.

“So why are you upset that I called you by your middle name, the same name as your mother?” Not wholly oblivious to her reasons, he just enjoyed making her squirm. ‘No wonder Ron provokes Hermione all the time, it’s kind of fun.’.

“Oh, just never mind.” Ginny had given up on trying to explain it to him, she didn’t take the bait.

“What’s really bothering you?” He asked seriously. Harry gently grabbed her forearm and pulled her down to join him on the bed.

Reluctantly, she let him and mirrored his position in front of him. Her arms wrapped around her knees securing her nightgown and her cold bare feet met and laced with his.

“What is it Gin?” He finally asked, careful not to look too deep, too hard into her eyes.

“Us.” She said, watching his feet rest on top of hers, warming them.

“Us?” He remembered their last conversation about us on the hillside. That she had said that her and Dean were not like us.

“I know Harry. I know and it scares me now that I’ve had time to think it over.” Ginny said as she played with the eyelet hem of the nightgown.

“What, that I talk in my sleep?” Harry chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. “What did you call it... all the sordid details?”

“Don’t be a prat, Harry.” Ginny swatted his shin before resting her arms again on top of her knees. “You know darn good and well what I’m talking about.”

“Our, uh... bond?” He couldn’t help the smile.

“Yes, our bond. Don’t you understand what it all means? Why it’s happened, how it’s happened? How this will affect you, me, and... Well, it’s just that it’s complicated.” He watched as her face scrunched at the last word, silently pleading him to understand.

“What isn’t complicated, Ginny? Look, we’ll sort it all out with Dumbledore. I’m afraid that if we, uh... keep going like this we might, you know, connect again.” Harry flushed briefly at the pleasant thought and then continued, “it’s hard enough for me not to as it is, and I’m not even sure how to stop it if it does.”

“Glad I’m not the only one.” She blushed.

“Is that what you were worried about, that we’d be connected all the time? That we’d always be in each others head?” Harry respected her concern, in fact he shared the same worry.

“Sort of, yeah, I guess it is.” Back pedaling at his reaction, “Not that it’s bad, necessarily. It’s just that, well. I know things about you and you know things about me but we’ve never really said anything about it to each other. Are you following me?”

“I think I know what you mean. There are things in my head I wouldn’t want you to see, or anybody else for that matter.” He couldn’t help but think of all the terrible events he has seen in his life and the single cause of them all.

“Me too.” Ginny smirked, “A girl has to keep her secrets.”

“Miss Weasley! Will you please remove yourself from Mr. Potter’s bed!” Madam Pomfrey’s exasperated remarks herald her hasty return. “I suppose your bed is lumpy and has an unsatisfactory view?”

“You’re in trouble.” Harry whispered, keeping a straight face, then removed his feet from hers.

Ginny rolled her eyes, grunted in frustration and hopped off his bed. She took one step on the cold stone floor before vaulting back on to the bed she had occupied the night before.

“How are you feeling, Mr. Potter?” Madam Pomfrey reached his bedside, her arms crossed and a disproving, skeptical look on her face. “Better?”

“Much.”

“How’s your head?” She asked him sharply, not satisfied with the first answer.

“Sore.”

Not expecting a forthcoming reply, she continued to ask her patient of his well being. “How’s your strength?”

“Dunno.” Harry kept to his one worded answers. He was afraid that if he had said anything more, he would burst out laughing.

“Fine then, hold still.” The Healer extracted her wand and moved it over him before replacing it into her robe pocket. “ I’m afraid that you’ll be staying here with us for awhile longer.”

“But-“ Harry tried to convince her otherwise but was unfortunately held to his one worded answer.

“No buts, Mr. Potter,” Harry could hear Ginny snort, “you’re not going to be gallivanting around the school anytime soon, let alone the hospital wing.” Madam Pomfrey shook her finger at him before rounding on Ginny. “As for you, Miss Weasley, visiting hours are over at eight o’clock sharp unless you give me a reason to make it earlier.”

“Yes Ma’m.” Ginny was genuinely apologetic, she had been given a deadline.

She walked back up the aisle and towards her desk, turning around to look at them while mumbling something that sounded like ‘just like his’ before disappearing into her office.

“I suppose I better change.” Ginny sighed as she stood up, “I just thought that she’d let me stay longer if I was still in my nightgown.”

“I hoped you could’ve stayed too. I like the company.” Harry said, suddenly feeling brave as he laid back onto the pillows, tucking his hands behind his head.

“Sure you do.” Ginny smiled, pulling the blind out from the wall before she too disappeared.

Harry could hear her pull out her things from the bedside table and thought of how much he didn’t want her to go.

“I’ll miss you, Gin.” It was easier to say now that he couldn’t see her.

“Uh huh, sure you will.” She scoffed.

“Will what?” Ron asked, flanked by Hermione as they walked up to his bed.

“Nothing.” Both he and Ginny replied.

“We brought you something to eat.” Ron lifted the napkin off of the plate she was carrying. “Don’t worry, I’ve okayed it with the Grand Headmistress of the Infirmary.”

“Thanks.” Harry said as he took the plate full of his favorite foods and a set of utensils from Hermione and rested it on his lap.

“We also brought your school books.” Hermione said as Ron let Harry’s heavy book bag fall with a dull thud to the floor. “We figured you’d be here awhile, so we thought you could study so you wouldn’t fall too far behind in your classes.”

Harry nodded in appreciation, his mouth was currently full of roast beef.

“Where’s mine?” Ginny reappeared from the blind fully dressed and pushed it up back up against the wall.

“Sorry, Ginny.” Ron looked to his feet. “I didn’t know that you’d still be here. I could go and nick you something from the kitchens if you’d like?”

“Na, I can’t eat everything you brought me, we’ll share.” Harry offered the plate to Ginny, who snatched up a roasted chicken leg before taking the last visitor’s chair.

“Any news?” Harry asked his best friends.

“No, not really.” Ron answered and sat down on the edge of the bed, Hermione had occupied the remaining chair.

“We did see Mrs. Malfoy though,” Hermione admitted, “we were on rounds after lunch when we passed her and Professor Snape on the seventh floor corridor.”

“Did you hear them say anything?” Harry asked, wanting all the information he could get.

“No, they just hurried down the corridor and didn’t bother to look at us.” Hermione tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “That’s all we’ve got, she looked upset though.”

“Probably because her precious son wouldn’t be meeting up with her Death Eater husband and his best mate Voldemort.” Ron rolled his eyes at Hermione.

“Ron.” Hermione didn’t appreciate his sarcastic comment.

“Yeah, she was here alright, arrogance and all.” Ron shuttered slightly, “I had forgotten how much she looks like Sirius. Well, not like Sirius really, but there definitely is a Black family resemblance.”

“It’s true, then?” Harry asked before downing another slice of roast beef.

Ron looked to Ginny. “He is staying.”

“Dumbledore has his reasons, Ron.” Hermione shrugged at him, trying to cut off his building anger.

“Neither one of us is going to get chummy with Malfoy anytime soon. Look, if anyone should be angry that that little ferret is staying, it’s me. But if it’s good enough for Dumbledore, then it’s good enough for me.” Ginny said, finishing off her chicken leg.

“I still don’t trust him though, I don’t care what Dumbledore says.” Ron shook his head in disagreement.

“Well, I agree with you both.” Harry joined in, “I can have Dobby still keep an eye on him, make sure he’s not up to something else.”

They all sat silent. There were more questions than answers at this point, and each one of them was at a loss as to how to proceed.

“Have you seen Dean?” Ginny winced at her own mention of his name and look to Hermione for an answer, who merely grimaced back.

“I’ve seen him in the dorm.” Ron spoke up. “Everytime I’ve been up there, he’s there. I would think that having your memory modified, rearranging and re-inventing a whole day, would make you a bit funny.”

“Oh.” Ginny said quietly before chucking the bone into the rubbish bin. “So he doesn’t know?”

“That’s right. He’s not supposed to, remember? Nobody but the people who were involved are aware that anything happened and that’s the way it has to stay.” Hermione told Ginny consolingly.

“So, has Dumbledore talked to you about, uh...” Ron asked, hesitant to say anything outright just in case they were still unaware.

“He talked to us for a minute last night, after you all left.” Ginny perked up.

“What did he tell you?” Hermione asked, hoping to validate her suspicions.

“Nothing much, he said we’d talk about it later.” Harry shrugged, “Why, what do you know?”

“Oh, it’s just that Ron and his good friend Sigefert,” she tossed Ron a funny look, “have a few ideas.”

“Really, what does ol’Ealdred have to say on the matter?” Ginny smirked at Ron.

“You know?” Ron asked, surprised by her mention of the former Runes Professor who’s memories now resided with his own.

“Of course I know, I picked up a few tricks from my dear, darling, brothers.” Ginny laughed at his contorted face. “I overheard Mum and Dad talking about it after your first meeting with Dumbledore, extendable ears!”

“Oh.” Ron mouthed.

“Now will you tell us what you think it is?” Ginny sweetly asked her brother.

“No.” Ron answered flat out. “If Dumbledore hasn’t told you, then I won’t. He, Ealdred, could be wrong- I could be wrong.”

“But we have a pretty good idea, though.” Hermione looked to Ron, asking for approval to give them at least some clues. “There are four things we think it could be. Most of them are good, well, at least they could be good. The last one isn’t so... favorable, but we couldn’t rule it out because some of the explanations fit.”

Harry and Ginny looked to each other, both wondering when the other shoe would drop.

“How bad is it?” Harry answered, still looking at Ginny.

“Bad.” Ron sighed, “But like Hermione said, it probably isn’t that particular one.”

“Have you seen what happens when we uh...” Harry stumbled on the last word. Somehow saying it to her older brother, his best mate, was a little uncomfortable, especially now that he understood the feelings that went with it.

Ron finished his sentence, “-when you bond? Yeah, we’ve scene it.”

“It’s a bit scary though, honestly.” Hermione said, “When it happened in the alley, it was like...” She searched for her words before concluding, “I don’t know, it’s hard to describe.”

“Powerful,” Ron said reverently, “very powerful.”

“So we’ve heard.” Ginny blushed, Harry thought he caught a wink.

The hour they had left of official visiting time quickly passed to Harry’s dismay. Ron and Hermione had prefect duties to perform, making sure that the first year students made it back to their houses before their curfew. Ginny stayed until the very last second, explaining that she wanted to avoid as many people as possible.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She smiled as the tower clock struck one, “What would you like for breakfast?”

“Surprise me.” He smiled back, knowing that he would see her sooner than he had originally thought.

Ginny made a sudden move towards him as the clock continued to chime its final strokes, but changed her mind midway and pulled back.

“Nigh’ Harry.” She said quickly over her shoulder as she walked swiftly to the door.

“Nigh’ Gin.” He replied, but he was the only one there to hear it.






It had been two hours now since he had been separated from Ginny. Harry tried not to let his mind linger on her, but it was proving to be a difficult thing to do. He knew that if he thought about her too hard or for too long, he would ‘invade’ her mind again and he was keen on following Dumbledore’s orders. Madam Pomfrey did not give him the Sleeping Draught tonight, so there was no chance of him falling asleep anytime soon as his mind was otherwise occupied.

Harry flipped over on his side again, hoping against his better judgement to see the redhead in the opposite bed like he did the night before. Disappointed, as he knew he would be, he examined the contents of the bedside table, looking for any remnant that Ginny might have forgotten. And there it was, a temporary cure to what was ailing him, Sirius’ mirror that Lupin had left behind.

He reached for the worn felt cloth and removed its priceless treasure.

“Lupin?” Harry asked into the old mirror, doubting that he would get a response.

“Moony?” He asked again, flipping it over and back again.

“Harry?” Lupin’s voice and image came through the square mirror.

“Hi.” Harry said, not really knowing what to say next.

“Need to talk?” Lupin had a knack for knowing what he needed.

Harry merely nodded.

“I’ll be there in a minute.” He smiled faintly before disappearing from view.

He replaced the whole, foggy mirror back inside the felt and returned it to the table wondering how Lupin had gotten the mirror in the first place since he had it on him when they went to Hogsmeade.

Five minutes had passed before the soft footsteps of Lupin’s arrival could be heard.

“Did you clear it with the Grand Headmistress of the Infirmary?” Harry greeted him as he came into view, remembering Ron’s new title for the school healer.

“Madam Pomfrey?” He asked, “Yes, she wasn’t happy about it, but conceded in the end.”

“How did you get the mirrors?” Harry blurted out, needing an explanation to his latest query.

“They were in your cloak, Ron and Hermione went back and retrieved it from in front of the pub and brought it back to up the castle.” Lupin slid the wooden chair out from the wall and positioned it opposite Harry.

“They were hanging onto it in the hall while they waited outside to hear of any news about you or Ginny. Dumbledore had to convince her, Madam Pomfrey that is, to let them sit with you so late that night. I saw it and checked its contents, thus finding the mirrors. I thought that they might come in handy in the near future, and it looks like I was correct in that assumption.”

“Oh,” Harry thought, “so you have the extra shard?”

“Yes, I do.” He pulled the jagged piece out of his trouser pocket, got up and reached across to place it with it proper owner.

“No, keep it.” Harry stopped him.

Lupin nodded in acceptance, replaced the shard, and sat back down onto his chair. “So what’s on your mind, Harry?”

“It’s more like what’s not on my mind.” He replied tiredly, rearranging the pillows behind him to sit up a little straighter.

“Are you feeling better?” Lupin asked, folding his arms across his chest as Madam Pomfrey did earlier that evening.

“I’ve still got a bit of a headache, but nowhere near what it was yesterday. I can move myself, so that’s an improvement, but I’m checked into this fine establishment until further notice.” Satisfied with his pillow placement, he leaned back.

“I hear that you may be in for at least a week.” Lupin let the ball drop.

“Great.” He said dryly.

“I’m sure you can find things to do while you’re here,” Lupin said glancing at his full book bag on the floor. “It looks like Hermione has made sure of that.”

“Yeah, it’ll be loads fun.” Harry looked at his Professor, “I don’t suppose you can tell me what lesson I’ll be missing?”

“You’ve already covered it.” Lupin smiled back.

“Narcissa Malfoy was here today.” Harry again blurted out his question as it popped into his mind. “Did you see her?”

“No, but I heard that she was here.” Lupin sighed before he continued. “Dumbledore has his reasons.”

“I’ve heard that already today.” Harry rolled his eyes in frustration. “Hermione said the exact same thing.”

“Well, it’s true.” Lupin’s face tensed before he continued. “Mrs. Malfoy, Narcissa Black Malfoy, may not be callous as we think.”

“She’s a former Slytherin, married to Lucius Malfoy, a loyal Death Eater, and she’s a Black.” Harry thought of the portrait of Mrs. Black, calling him and his friends’ traitors and Mudbloods.

“Andromeda is a Black, Sirius was a Black too.” Lupin reminded him of his Godfather’s parentage. “Not all Blacks are bad.”

“This one is.” Harry politely disagreed.

“Let’s think about this one.” Lupin said calmly before conceding Harry’s point. “Yes, she was a Slytherin, married and has a son with a well-known, pure-blooded, Death Eater and belongs to a family that has been associated with Voldemort in more ways than one.”

“She also has a choice, Harry. Draco could have been expelled, he could have been released back into his family’s care. Narcissa could have easily expressed her wishes for him to leave the school, but she didn’t.”

“So.” Harry said. “What does it matter whether Draco stays or goes? He told me himself two years ago that his father wanted him to go to Drumstrang but his mother wanted him to go to Hogwarts instead.”

Lupin sighed and ran his hand through his thinning hair. “Exactly, Harry. His mother ultimately sent him to Hogwarts.”

“I still don’t see what you’re getting at.” Harry shrugged. “So his mother sent him to Hogwarts.”

“To be under Albus Dumbledore.”

“And Snape.” He added.

“Professor-“ Lupin sighed again.

“Professor Snape.” Harry corrected himself obediently.

“I don’t need to tell you how much mothers love their sons, Harry.”

“No, you don’t.” He turned his gaze to his hands as he pick at his cuticles, he finally agreed with what Lupin had said.

“There maybe hope for Draco, if what Professor Snape has said was correct, he may not follow in his fathers’ footsteps.”

“I believe in a reformed Draco as much as I believe in a reformed Death Eater.” Harry purposely left out ‘Professor Snape’.

“I know of three.” Lupin looked directly at Harry and waited until their eyes met, “Karakoff, Regulus Black, and Professor Snape.”

“Great odds being that two out of the three have been murdered by their own kind.” Harry was refusing to admit that such a transformation was possible.

“Either way, Harry.” Lupin gave up the argument for now. “Don’t tell me you’ve been up here stewing this whole time about Draco.”

“No.” He replied without giving anything away.

“How’s Ginny?” Lupin dared to ask. “I see she’s not here.”

“Released.” Harry said, glancing slightly back at her bed. “She’s better, I think.”

“You think?” He questioned him, his eyebrows raised.

“She’s just nervous.” Harry tried to shrug off the answer, “Worried.”

“And has every right to be.” Lupin didn’t push the subject any further.

“She’s bringing me breakfast tomorrow.” He tried to say it as nonchalantly as possible as if it was no big deal.

“Oh, that’s nice of her.” Lupin smiled.


They sat there looking at each other, the walls, the floor, and whatever else they could see in the dim light, neither one of them spoke for several minutes. Lupin cleared his throat softly and got up to leave. But before he could stand fully upright, Harry stopped him a second time that night.

“When did my Dad start liking my Mum?”

Lupin slowly sat back down, his hands resting on his knees as he slumped forward, staring at the floor. Harry heard him take a deep breath and an equally long exhale before he finally looked up at him. An expression of reflective sadness crested and ebbed away. Seeing this reaction, Harry suddenly wished he hadn’t asked it.

“I don’t know exactly when, Harry, but I believe that he was about your age.” Lupin looked uncomfortable. “It’s not like he declared it on a given day.”

“Oh.” Harry thought better of asking for anything more.

“Lily was beautiful, funny, smart, popular...” Lupin sighed heavily again, “She was the most kind and caring witch I have ever met.”

“You liked her, didn’t you?” Harry asked.

“Of course I did, who didn’t.” Lupin played down his answer but his eyes betrayed him. “We all liked her, Harry.”

“Your father had a lot of the same qualities in him. He was just a stupid git around girls like the rest of us at that age.” The Marauder laughed doleful at the poignant, bittersweet memory of his younger years. “Not that you’re-”

“Oh no, I am.” Harry acknowledged, returning the laugh. “I’ve been told so before, a couple times in fact.”

“Anyway, back to the point, your parents loved each other very much despite his tendencies to act like a idiot and whatever you saw in Professor Snape’s memory last year. What’s brought this on? Did someone say something to you?”

“No, just thought I’d ask.” Harry knew that his own eyes had betrayed him as Lupin’s had done moments before.

“Can I ask you one question?” Lupin smiled mischievously as the Marauder in him sparked back to life.

“Uh, sure.” He replied hesitantly, “But can I choose to not to answer?”

“Fair enough.” Lupin geared up in his chair, the smirk still visible on his face.

“Go on and ask your question.” Harry braced himself, not knowing what to expect.

Lupin hung the query above his head like an anvil, taunting him with the silence before he released the impending blow.

Possible questions ran through his head like wildfire. ‘ How many girls have you been dating? Who’ve you been snogging in the broom cupboard? Do you like brunettes, blondes, or a particular redhead? ’ Or he could just cut to the heart of the matter with one blunt swipe. ‘Are you in love with Ginny Weasley?’ And then it happened...

“Who called you a stupid git?”

“That’s your question?” Surprised, Harry felt evanescent relief before the answer caught up with him. “Goodnight, Moony.”
Back In The Thick Of It by PatronyBologna
Chapter 15









Back In The Thick Of It









“Do try and take it easy, Mr. Potter.” Madam Pomfrey admonished her patient for the final time, somewhat reluctant to let him go.

“Yes Ma’m.” Harry replied dutifully, then hoisted the bulging book bag over his shoulder and walked out of the infirmary.

Happy to be back within the student population, he walked the torch-lit, semi-empty corridors and various stairwells up to Gryffindor tower, he had spent a week and one day in the hospital wing.

Madam Pomfrey refused to let him go until this evening, right before curfew, to make sure that he did not find his way into trouble too quickly after being released. ‘Straight to bed and rest.’ she had told him so many times over the last hour that he could still hear her instructions echoing in his mind.

Before he knew it, his legs had carried him to the familiar portrait of ‘The Fat Lady’ and the awaiting common room where he had hoped to find Ron, Hermione, and Ginny in their usual spots around the fireplace.

“Noodle brains.” He said dully to the ample gatekeeper.

“Ah-hem,” The Fat Lady cleared her throat knowingly. “From what I’ve heard, you’ve got one.”

“Uh-huh.” Harry answered, anxious with what lies ahead of him than to be needled by the portrait.

“Well, you’re no fun.” She huffed looking very displeased, her plump hands on her wide hips.

“Sorry, not tonight.” He shrugged just before the frame swung open.

Once in the common room, a familiar voice met him.

“Hi, Harry, glad you’re back.” Neville looked up from his table, quill in hand, parchments strewn here and there with various books propped up and stacked against each other.

“Thanks Neville.” Harry replied gratefully before taking a quick look around the room.

Noticing his search, Neville answered his unasked question. “Ron and Hermione are on prefect duties.”

“Oh yeah, its Sunday night. They told me, I just forgot.” Harry thanked Neville for the reminder.

“Know the feeling.” Neville laughed a little and returned to his work.

Harry continued to make his way to the staircase leading to boys’ dormitories when he noticed a couple sitting on a couch on the far side of the room. His heart fell as he saw Ginny and Dean in what could be an intimate discussion, tucked away from everyone else. Midway up the stairs he stopped and watched them for a moment, taking note of their body language, hoping that it would reveal the topic of their conversation. Thinking that Ginny had seen him and slightly embarrassed that he had been caught, he sought the solitary confines of his four-poster.

Everything looked they way it should be as he entered the sixth year dorm, not that he was expecting anything different, but being cooped up in the orderly, antiseptic hospital wing made him miss the untidy, unruly, habitat of teenage boys. Ron’s bed was strewn with various items; robes, wrappers, socks, and sheets detailing Quidditch plays he had been developing. Seamus’ posters of his favorite teams flashed vividly on the walls surrounding his bed, Dean’s robes hung from atop the left post, and Neville’s pride and joy looked as unhealthy as ever, growing large tumor-like pustules as it basked in the dim moonlight.

Kicking off his trainers, Harry let his bag slide off his shoulder and onto his trunk, then climbed into his awaiting bed. He wasn’t tired by any means, nor was he following his orders to rest, he had done quite enough of that to be sure. Instead, he dangerously let his mind wonder, gravitating, spiraling towards a fiery redhead.

Throughout the week, Ginny would come to visit him every chance she got. She had brought him breakfast every morning, lunch in the afternoons, and would spend the dinner hour dining with him instead of the Gryffindor table. Sometimes after dinner they would just talk or study together. Harry liked to help her out when she looked stuck on a particular subject, but often thought she did it only to spend more time talking than actual studying. Like before, during their daily afternoon walks around the Burrow, it didn’t matter what the topic of conversation was. There was an easiness about Ginny. Ron and Hermione joined them occasionally but she had been his one constant, his one comfort, and the one thing that kept him from going completely crazy during his mandatory incarceration in the infirmary.

Earlier, when Ginny came for lunch, she told him that she would not be back until tomorrow. Wishing that he didn’t, he now knew why she had left him, Dean. Trying not to second guess himself or Ginny, he decided that he would be content with the time they did have together and the knowledge that whomever she chose to date, to love, he would always be connected to her in ways that others couldn’t. ‘It’s not like us.’ He reminded himself of her own words.


“Hey!” Ron had walked through the door, “You’re back.”

“I’m back.” Harry replied and swung his legs around to edge of the bed to sit upright.

“Did you escape?” Ron snickered and tossed off his robe.

“Yeah, climbed out the window when she wasn’t looking.” Harry returned.

“Good for you, although, you could have done it earlier you know.” Ron rifled through the mess on his bed, trying to organize it all. “Quidditch practice on Friday if you’re up to it. It’s the last one we’ll have before our match against Ravenclaw.”

“If I can climb out of windows, I can catch a snitch.” Harry reached out and watched his fingers curl around an imaginary snitch in front of him. “I’ll be there.”

“Are you sure?” Ron asked seriously, his left eyebrow dangerously cocked, “I know what you’re recovering from so I’m okay with it if you want to sit this one out.”

“Sit this one out? Are you kidding?” Harry retorted, “Not on your life.”

“Look, Harry, I’m just saying that-“ Ron tried to explain better.

“It’s okay, I’m fine... So what are your plans Captian?” Harry inclined his head towards the parchments Ron held in his hand.

“Oh, it’s for the Chasers.” Ron handed the notes to him, “Ginny and Katie could pair off, everyone knows they work great together, leaving Dennis open for an attack, nobody will expect him.”

“Looks good, do you think he can pull it off?” Harry thumbed through the rest of the papers. It was obvious to him that Ron had developed a couple of difficult, yet ingenious plays that were bound to keep Ravenclaw or any other team for that matter, on their toes.

“I think so, that’s why we’re having an extra long practice on Friday.” Ron swept off the remaining items littering his bed into the rubbish bin.

There was a knock at the door and the sound of Ginny filtered through the cracks, “Are you decent?”

“No.” Ron called back sarcastically, “We’re all starkers in here!”

“Whatever.” Ginny opened the door and let herself in. Harry tensed unexpectedly as he caught sight of her.

“What are you up to?” She asked, taking a seat on Ron’s restored bed.

“Just going over Quidditch plans for Saturday’s game.” Ron answered as Harry handed her the diagrams, careful not to look at her.

She glanced them over briefly before setting them back down on Ron’s bed. “It’ll work.”

“What do you want, Ginny?” Ron asked politely, curious for her reason to venture up to the dormitory as he lobbed mismatched pairs of socks into his trunk from across the room.

“I just came to give Harry back his wand.” Ginny said quietly and held out her hand, his wand balanced across her open palm. “Dumbledore asked me to give this to you.”

Forgetting that he did not have it in his possession, he slowly reached out to take it from her.

“Lupin picked it up in the alley and gave it to Dumbledore for safe keeping. He gave it to me after dinner tonight to return to you.” Ginny shrugged, “I suppose he thought it was safe with me.”

Harry looked over his wand, contemplating the last time he had used it.

“He also said that your lessons with him are cancelled this week, but he’d like to meet with the both of us sometime over the weekend.” Ginny told his bowed head.

“Anyway, I’ll see you two later.” Subdued, Ginny got up and made to leave. Harry kept his eyes lowered to his wand, pretending to inspect it further while his arms broke out in tiny, prickly goosebumps.

“You okay, Ginny?” Ron asked before she reached the door.

“Yeah, I’m fine. See you tomorrow.” She said a little too brightly.

“Thanks, Ginny.” Harry was able to say before she closed the door behind her, catching a brief, weighted smile.









However much he hated to admit it, he was thankful that Hermione had taken the time to inform him of what he was missing in class. Whenever he was not enjoying Ginny’s company, he had plenty of time to fulfill the coursework, which paid off now that he was back in the thick of it.

Tuesday’s lesson in Care of Magical creatures was invigorating to say the least. With the temperature dropping as winter approached, Hagrid thought the butterflies could use the fresh air and the freedom to roam outside their crate. Not only had they doubled in size again, they could excrete enough ice to cover a large tree branch or lay down a thick patch on the grass big enough to slip on if you weren’t careful. The first half of class was spent running around in an effort to try and contain them, students leaping over stretches of ice and ducking for cover to keep them from landing on their heads. The second half was spent running around in an effort to herd them back into their crate, leaping over stretches of ice and ducking for cover to keep them from landing on their heads. Needless to say, by the time class was over everyone was out of breath and chipping ice off their cloaks.

“First its fire from Blast-Ended Skrewts and now its ice with those bloody butterflies.” Harry and Hermione laughed at Ron’s frustrated remark as the trio made their way back up to the castle for lunch, crunching on the frost covered grass.

Professor Flitwick had started lessons on Defensive charms. More specifically, charming objects to act as protection. Harry thought of last June when Dumbledore had charmed the statue of the centaur to shield him from Voldemort’s curse. It seemed more like a charm better taught in Defense Against The Dark Arts, but was interested in the subject matter regardless of who was teaching it. For once, Harry didn’t mind the two-foot long essay that was assigned to them.

Staurn, Ivy, Alun, Gladis, and Ford, the recent Slytherin additions to the D.A., had caught up with him, Ron, and Hermione, outside the Great Hall after lunch. Hermione seem to be friendlier with Ivy, while Ron just kept quiet and a hard look on his face. They asked when the next meeting was going to be held and he told them that they had practiced what they learned during the last few meetings. Harry informed them that he didn’t know and that it would probably get started again after the holidays.



By mid-week, Harry was finding his stride. He and Ron had spent their personal study time actually studying, to which Hermione was beaming. Harry thought that she was proud of herself, all of her nagging and organizational gifts were finally producing results. Truth be told, both of them wanted to make sure that nothing would stand in the way of Quidditch and that the assigned reading actually interested them.

Harry did get to spend more time with Ginny, however, it wasn’t the personal one on one time like they had in the hospital wing. Every once and awhile he would steal a glance at meals, his eyes only lingering until she would look up from her plate or in his direction. Whenever he would get caught, which happened quite frequently, she would smile and go back to whatever it was she was doing. Evenings in the common room faired about the same results. Harry would position himself next to the fire so that he could watch her over Ron or Hermione’s shoulders. It was less obvious, he felt, it would be perfectly natural to look at someone when they’re speaking to you. Sometimes she would join them by the fireside, sitting on the opposite end of the couch that Harry occupied. It was funny really, they had been so close before, but now an almost tangible barrier cropped up between them; a shy, nervous, intoxicating barrier.




Thursday brought with it another roaring chorus of ‘Constant Vigilance’ from Professor Mad-Eye. Being aware of Moody’s tactics, the class settled down into their seats immediately upon entering the chamber. Harry looked to the front of the room where the ex-Auror was ready and waiting for them, calling the class to attention before the final bell.

“Good afternoon,” He growled, magiked the heavy wooden door shut, and then surveyed the class with both his magical and normal eyes. “I hope each and every one of you have been on your guard.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione nodded in unison with the rest of the class. However, Harry thought that his ‘Constant Vigilance’ wasn’t good enough considering that he was unable to stop Malfoy.

“Today we will be discussing the techniques used to discover whether or not someone is under the influence of the Imperious curse, under the morphing effects of the Polyjuice Potion, and the tell-tale signs that someone might have had their memories modified or obliviated.”

“Should’ve had that lesson a month ago.” Ron whispered out the side of his mouth to Harry.

“Let’s just hope someone doesn’t figure that last bit out.” Hermione poked Ron under the desk and shifted her eyes towards the back of Dean’s head who was sitting a few tables ahead of them.

Harry had is sight and mind on other matters. Malfoy was seated behind them in the far corner of the class, he wore an expression of creditable smugness that lit a fire in the pit of Harry’s stomach, re-heating his anger for the arrogant, self-serving, sneering blonde. It wasn’t the first time Harry had seen him this week, but it was the first time Malfoy showed any sign of his usual behavior. Draco had been avoiding them as much as possible and they avoided him likewise.

“Let’s start with Memory Modifications.” Moody began to maneuver through the students as he talked. The ‘clink’ of his every other step had a tendency to drive the point home with his students. It was a style of teaching that was his very own and which the students came to expect.

After an hour and fifty-seven minutes, the only thing that Harry had learned was to follow your gut instincts. It would have proven effective if he and Ron had done just that. They both knew that something was slightly different that day. They knew that Dean, or who they assumed was Dean, was up to no good. But on the other hand, following what he thought was gut instincts, had gotten himself and the countless lives other people in unnecessary danger. By following those same instincts, he had unknowingly led to Sirius to his death.



Friday had arrived at last, bringing with it a double dose of Snape. Just as he had expected, Snape was as foul as ever towards him. But Harry did have one morsel of satisfaction, he had completed the essay on rare, complex venom antidotes.

“I see that you’ve been informed of your missed lessons.” Snape walked along his desk, dragging his long fingertips along the surface behind him. “You have Miss Granger to thank for it, I presume.”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry answered curtly, watching him ooze in front of him.

Snape stopped in his tracks in front of Harry and held out his hand. “Let’s see it then, Potter.”

Harry defiantly handed over his essay. “Sir.”

The Potions Master’s beady black eyes darted quickly back and forth over the parchment.

“This seems to be in order. However, you will need to brew one of these antidotes and turn in a sample in order to finish the assignment.” Snape thrust the essay back to him. “This is worth nothing on its own and very little with a potion.”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry said as calmly as possible. He knew that showing any sign of anger would only play into Snape’s hands, giving him victory.

“ I’m sure that I can find a convenient time for you to come in and make it up,” His lips thinned into a malicious smile. “Sometime tomorrow... mid-morning, perhaps?”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry replied to his back as he strode away.



“At least he didn’t completely dismiss it.” Hermione consoled him as the climbed the stairwell out of the dungeons. “It’s not like he hasn’t vanished your work before.”

“Yeah, you could’ve missed Quidditch.” Ron added. “A loss to Ravenclaw would move Slytherin up in the overall standings.”

“I have no doubt that it’s what he wanted.” Harry admitted, “But I don’t think he could have made me, it’s not like a detention, McGonagall would have put her foot down.”

When they reached the main hall, Ron and Hermione started to make their way to the left and the seventh floor, going the opposite direction of Gryffindor tower. Harry made to follow, but Ron stopped and turned back.

“Sorry, not this time, mate.” Ron looked him in the eyes, “I’m sure Dumbledore will tell you all about it when he meets with you and Ginny.”

“Oh, yeah. No problem.” Harry shrugged off the disappointment that he wouldn’t be able to join them, but understood his reasons.

“Quidditch practice in an hour.” Ron took off against the flow of underclassmen to catch up with Hermione.





“Dennis!” Ron yelled from his broom, thirty feet in the air.

“What!” The younger Creevey screamed back, his eyes on Ron, his red cheeks contrasting with his pale face.

“You need to do this! Watch me!” Ron yelled back and then performed an impressive maneuver on his broom, a spiraling dive with a sharp upturn at the bottom before darting towards the goal posts. Harry recognized the play from the diagrams.


This is the way to end a week.’ Harry thought as he circled the pitch for the umpteenth time, keeping one eye open for the snitch, the other on Ginny.

He reveled in the freedom his broom brought, the crisp late-November air biting at his nose and ears as he pushed his Firebolt forward. It had been a busy week and though he wasn’t physically in pain or had any aches to complain about, he did feel drained. Ron had told him not to over do it, that he should rest up for the match, but Harry couldn’t help the excitement and joy he felt for flying.

Hovering above his practicing teammates, Harry spotted the Snitch just above the ground near the middle of the pitch. He pushed the nose of his Firebolt down and began his dive, the thrill of it coursing through him as he sped towards the ground, rapidly weaving in and out between the Chasers, Beaters, and Ron.

He lost his concentration on the tiny golden ball, his heart ready to jump out of his chest, Harry barely pulled up in time to miss hitting the frozen ground. Veering wildly, he momentarily lost control of his broom and soared upwards out past the stadium.

Once he came to a complete stop, hanging motionless above the lawn, he took a moment to gather his wits and calm himself down. Harry had to work for every long, steady breath, the freezing air stabbed sharply in his chest with every intake. His arms and legs felt numb, he could feel each pulse of his veins pushing blood into them, persuading them to regain their strength.

Harry started to descend, his broom sinking lower and lower in the clear afternoon sky. He slumped forward, forcing air into his lungs, gripping the handle in an effort to control his fall.

“Harry!” Ginny’s urgent filled voice met his ears.

“Ginny.” Weakly he called back, a violent spinning sensation filled his head.

“Here, hang on!” Ginny had pulled up along side him, matched his rate of descent and reached out for the handle, effectively taking control.

The two continued to slip out of the sky before landing with a soft thud on the frosty grass. Harry had fallen over on his side, propping himself up on his bent arm with what little energy he had left.

“Ginny?” Harry said between gasps, his eyes pleading for an explanation as to what was happening to him.

She had crawled across the brooms on her hands and knees to get to him. Ginny bit between her teeth the leather glove straps fastened around her wrist and wretched her hand free of it before she reached out to touch the side of his face. Immediately the spinning stopped, she had brought him to center.

“Harry, concentrate.” Ginny told him sharply, taking charge of the situation.

“Ginny, what?” His eyes widened in realization of what she was about to do. “No!”

“Harry, just concentrate.” Her eyes looked deep into his.

“Ginny, we can’t-” His protest was cut short.

“Shh, close your eyes.” She whispered, moving closer to him, both of her hands now on his cheeks, the tip of her forehead met with his. “Shh ...”

He obeyed and opened himself to her, the brilliance that Ginny gave filled him. He could feel her strength, the power of her emotions met with his, rising slightly before everything melted away, breaking the connection. It had ended just as fast as it had started.

Slowly opening his green eyes, he met her chocolate brown ones. She continued to cradle his face, her forehead still resting on his. The tips of their noses meeting in the middle as the warmth of their breath swirled together between them. In that moment, it was all he could do to stop himself from kissing her. Ginny’s eyes told him that she was struggling with the same battle. This was much too close and Dean stood in his way.

“Harry!” Ron yelled as he touched down a few feet away.

Abruptly pulling themselves away from each other, he looked up at his best mate as he ran towards them.

“You alright?” A little out of breath, Ron crouched down on his heels to their level, glancing nervously between the two of them.

“Yeah, I’m alright.” Harry got up off his forearm. “I just lost control, that’s all.”

Ron looked at him skeptically then turned to Ginny. “You had something to do with this, didn’t you?”

“She just helped me.” Harry defended her. “She didn’t cause anything.”

“I didn’t say she did.” Ron did not turn away from Ginny. “You bonded again, didn’t you?”

“Yes, we did.” Ginny answered back, “He needed my help, so I gave it.”

“Dumbledore told-“ Ron whispered scathingly.

“I’m well aware of what Dumbledore said.” Ginny shot back in the same hushed tone. “I did what needed to be done, Ron.”

“Look,” Harry straightened himself, he tried to diffuse the sibling spat, “She’s fine- I’m fine- No harm done.”

“No harm done?” Ron had an expression of controlled fury as the rest of his face lit to match his scarlet cheeks. “You don’t know what you’re doing, the both of you. Don’t you understand?”

“As a matter of fact, we don’t.” Ginny’s temper rising to match his. “Why don’t you tell us!”

“I’m not supposed to, Ginny, and you know that.” Ron stood up and swallowed his anger whole. Noticing that the rest of the team kept their distance and was carrying on with practice without them, he ran his hand through his hair and sighed. “Get Harry to back to the hospital wing - yes, you’re going back- and have Madam Pomfrey check you over too.”

“Fine.” Ginny rolled onto her feet.

Ron held out his hand and helped is sister up. “I mean it, Ginny. I’m not kidding.”

“I know.” She conceded and picked up her glove and the brooms off the ground.

“Come on.” Ron said, holding his arm out again, this time to Harry.

He reached for Ron’s offered arm, both boys grabbing tightly just below the elbow. Ron tugged and took a step back, bring Harry to his feet.

“You’re not as bad off as last time?” Ron asked now that Harry was standing firmly on his own.

“I feel great,” Harry shrugged and took his Firebolt from Ginny. “In fact it’s the best I’ve felt in two weeks.”

“You’re still going.” Ron jerked his head up to the castle. “I’ve got to wrap things up here first, but I’ll catch up with you two later.”

They watched as Ron turned back for his Cleansweep.

“Thanks, Ron.” Ginny was sincere.

“Just... just don’t to it again.” Ron straddled his broom and kicked off towards the pitch.


Forty-five minutes later, Harry and Ginny were released from the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey was ill tempered to see the two of them back and muttered her disapproval under her breath while she examined them for injuries, both physical and magical. She demanded to know why they felt the need to fly, telling Harry repeatedly that he didn’t have the strength for it, and the exact details of what had happened on the pitch. Harry started the story, but Ginny finished it. It was her choice not to divulge the fact that she had helped him.

Unsatisfied with their tale, the Healer told them that she was going to inform the Headmaster straight away and that she strongly advised them not to participate in tomorrow’s match. The best either one of them could do was to silently nod in agreement, preventing another onslaught and exasperating the situation.

“I suppose we better get cleaned up before dinner?” Harry held the door open for Ginny and let her pass through.

“Yeah, a nice hot shower would be great. I think my toes are frozen.” Ginny stopped to wait for Harry, wiggling her toes through her boots.

“Ginny?” Harry asked, finally catching up with her.

“Yeah?” She fell in step with him.

“Why did you risk it?” He kept his eyes straight ahead, “I mean, not that I’m not grateful, but...”

“It was the only thing I could think of. I just knew I could do it- we could do it.” Ginny shrugged.

They quietly wound their way through the corridors, taking a short cut to bypass the crowd outside the Great Hall.

“Dumbledore won’t be happy.” He said, rounding onto the final staircase.

“He’ll understand.” Ginny was confident. “It can’t be as bad as Ron says it is. Hermione used the word ‘unfavorable’.”

“Ginny, I don’t want you to get hurt, especially because of me.” They had reached the Fat Lady. “Noodle brains.”

“It doesn’t matter.” The door swung open and Ginny quickly stepped through. “See you at dinner, Potter.”

Harry was left standing alone at the threshold, trying to figure out what had just happened, why she had left him so quickly and why it didn’t matter.

“Get a move on!” The Fat Lady hollered. “I can’t stay open all night!”





“Bloody Hell!” Harry woke at Ron’s hushed exclamations. “This isn’t good.”

“What isn’t good?” Harry sat up and threw back the curtains of his four-poster.

“Look at this, will you. It’s a blizzard out there.” He moved out of the way so that Harry could see out the window.

“Ah, maybe it’s a good thing.” Harry stretched and put on his glasses. “Seeing how I’m not supposed to be able to play and all.”

“I guess you’re right. Here’s hoping Hooch calls it a game and we can reschedule after the holidays.” Thoroughly discouraged, Ron let the crimson velvet curtain fall back into place. “Creevey needs the extra practice anyway.”


Sure enough, Dumbledore announced to the low rumble of verbal disappointment, that today’s match had indeed been cancelled. The enchanted sky above them, however, showed no sign of letting up. The team’s house tables talked up their sides briefly before dismissing the game all together. Ron was being consoled by Hermione, who assured him that it was for the best and agreed to join him the Gryffindor verses Ravenclaw snowball fight that was to take place in the west courtyard later that afternoon, provided the weather let up a bit. Harry looked to Ginny, who was seated directly across from him and away from Dean, she was buttering a piece of toast, minding her own business.


They spent most of the morning lazing around the common room. The fires were fully stoked and made the room quite pleasant to be in as the blizzard raged on outside. Some students, mostly fifth years that included Ginny, had taken the extra time to study, but this time even Hermione had wasted the hours away. She kicked her legs up over the arm of her favorite chair and was reading The Quibbler upside-down like the many times they had seen Luna do. Harry had challenged Ron to a fierce game of Wizards Chess at a nearby table, which ended up being a ‘best of three’ tournament. Harry still wasn’t as skilled as Ron when it came to the checkered board, but thought he was improving.

Noon rolled around and the occupants of the common room became restless. Ron, having won all three games, (they decided to play the third anyway) got up to put the board and chess pieces away, flicking the back of Hermione’s paper with his finger.

“Lunch!” He smirked at her as he walked past. “Don’t tell me you’re believing all that rubbish.”

“Of course not.” Hermione folded the publication, tossed it onto the end table and cheekily stated. “I felt like expanding my horizons, broadening my mind! You should try it sometime.”

Ron snorted and playfully pushed her out of the chair on his return trip, she slipped down onto the floor and proceeded to swat at him as he taunted her.

Harry enjoyed watching the interaction between his two best friends. He plopped back down on the couch, stretching out its full length and releasing a great sigh of contentment.

“Coming, Harry?” Hermione laughed, Ron was mimicking her every move.

“I’ll be down in a minute.” He shooed them away, “Go ahead.”

It wasn’t long before the common room had dwindled in numbers. Ginny was still flipping between books with one hand, the other held her quill to the parchment, the dull tip grounding out words. Every once in awhile she would impulsively tuck loose strands of hair behind her ear, the same locks kept falling forward every time she tilted her head towards the parchment to recheck what she had written moments before. He found her constant battle endearing, one of the many little nuances he noticed about her lately.

Harry walked over to her and closed all the books one by one. “Come on, Ginny. I’ll help you with that later.”

She took a deep breath, ran her hands through her hair before twisting, pulling the long red sheets up off her neck before letting her arms fall limply to the sides as she exhaled.

“Okay. I could use the break.” She slid her chair out from the table.

Harry started to pile the books into her bag and cap the inkbottle while she organized and rolled her notes.

“Be back in a few.” She said, taking her things up to the girls’ dormitories.

“No hurry.” Harry said patiently, waiting for her at the foot of the stairs, having a seat on the second step.

“Okay, I’m ready.” She said, jaunting back down, Harry stood up to meet her.

“Miss Weasley.” Harry held his arm out, reminiscent of their summer walks. “Care to join me for a spot of lunch?”

“Of course, Mr. Potter.” Batting her eyes, Ginny wrapped her arm around his. “Lead the way.”






“Harry, Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore happily greeted them as they walked into his office. “I see that you got my message.”

“Yes, Sir, Professor Snape told us.” Ginny smiled at took the seat the Headmaster had pulled out for her.

“Professor Snape has agreed to let you brew your make-up potion on Monday afternoon, Harry,” Dumbledore walked around the desk to take his seat, brushing back his dark purple robes. “so that we could have our little chat this afternoon.”

“Oh, okay.” Harry took the seat next to Ginny, the very same chair he usually sat in. He noticed Ginny looking at him, her eyebrows raised, she would be expecting the whole story later.

“I’ve been informed that you two have connected again. Is this correct?” His clear blue eyes urged them to answer.

“I was- we were at practice and-“ Harry stuttered, not knowing where or how to start.

“I did it, Headmaster.” Ginny cut to the chase. “He needed my help.”

“How long did it last?” Dumbledore leaned back into his chintz chair, folding his long fingers together and resting them on his desk. He neither displayed anger or happiness at the confession.

“Not very long.” Harry’s words were unexpectedly rushed. “It wasn’t very long at all.”

“No, it wasn’t.” Ginny agreed. “I stopped it when I felt I needed to.”

Dumbledore continued to look unfazed. “How is it that you knew, Miss Weasley, when to break the connection?”

“I just felt it.” She shrugged, laying her hands loosely in her lap. “It’s like pouring water into a glass, you can see when it’s full.”

“That’s a very good analogy.” Dumbledore, for the first time, looked impressed. “Harry, do you understand what she’s describing?”

“I think so.” Harry looked to Ginny, reading her expression before returning to Dumbledore. “It felt like we were... I dunno, equal... balanced maybe?”

“Sir?” Ginny asked tentatively, disrupting Dumbledore’s thoughts. “Sir, Ron said that our bond, or whatever it is, could be bad. Is he right?”

“What is it, exactly?” Harry wanted answers too. “Do you know?”

Dumbledore leaned forward in his chair and straightened his spectacles. “I believe we understand what is happening between the two of you, although it’s more than one single connection and therefore more than one explanation is needed.”

“You have to understand that this is ancient magic and not very many people can do what you two have accomplished, altogether or separately. It’s such a rarity that information is hard to find. You’re quite a specific case.” Dumbledore curled is finger at tugged gently at his beard.

“I am aware of an ancient bond that could have been forged between you. It’s called Vita Potestas. Essentially, it means that, as you have used to your advantage, are able to transfer magical power to another person. I believe that Harry was the first to do this, giving you a large portion of his magical reservoir that afternoon in the alley.” Dumbledore gazed at Harry, expecting him to speak.

“I just wanted to give her my strength, but I didn’t expect it to actually happen.” He admitted.

“Yesterday afternoon, Miss Weasley returned the favor.” He now turned to Ginny who nodded in agreement.

“I don’t see how this is a bad thing?” Ginny spoke up. “We’re both okay now.”

“It could be very bad indeed, just as Mr. Weasley has warned the two of you.” Dumbledore’s countenanced shifted, he was very serious. “It is only our magical abilities that make the difference between us Wizards and Muggles. If either one of you were to give too much, to overflow the glass by entirely, completely emptying another, you could potentially loose all magical ability within yourself and would be unable to regain it.”

“So we’d be a Muggle then?” Ginny asked, making sure that she was following him correcting.

Dumbledore nodded slowly, “Not quite, Miss Weasley, but yes- you would have no power to perform magic.”

“A Squib?” Harry asked, even Squibs could perform minor bits of magic.

“More or less. The fact is we don’t know for sure, no one has ever lived to long enough after such a transfer.”

“You mean people have... you know, all of it?” Ginny asked, she seemed to be slightly bothered with the intensity of the subject.

“It happened once, and only once.” Dumbledore answered gravely, “However, it resulted in the death of both parties.”

“Why did the person receiving the power die?” Harry was confused as to how that could happen.

“My guess is that it was too much.” Dumbledore answered as honestly as he could. “He lived moments longer than his Giver had, but perished just as she did in the end.”

Ginny and Harry sat motionless, silently understanding the full ramifications of what they had done, what they could have done. He had no idea that he could have potentially killed Ginny, he would never willingly hurt her. All he wanted to do was help.

After a few minutes, Dumbledore cleared his throat, jarring them from their thoughts.

“Sir?” Harry asked.

“Yes, Harry.”

“What other ways are Ginny and I connected?”

“There are many gifts that you and Ginny share, like the ability to perform a type of Legilimens for instance. Both of you have told me that you are able to reach each others minds, to communicate by emotions or senses more than words, I’m guessing.”

“How did all of this happen? Why Harry, why me?” Ginny shifted in her chair.

“You have great potential, Miss Weasley, of becoming a very powerful witch. Harry, though he has received some attributes through Tom, is gifted in his own right.” Dumbledore continued delicately. “I believe it has to do with your experience in the Chamber and the most basic power known to Wizards and Muggles alike.”

Harry sought Ginny out the corner of his eye to see if she had understood what Dumbledore was referring to and from the tiny lines creased across her brow, she had not.

“Miss Weasley, could you please tell me about the first time you realized that Harry was connected to you?” Dumbledore relieved them from an awkward moment.

“Uh, it was in the garden.” Ginny thought back aloud, looking at Harry to jog her memory, “No, it was when you first came back from the Dursleys. That night we talked by the fire, the night I slept in the parlor.”

“You’re right,” A light flicked on in Harry’s mind. “And then it happened again that morning. I woke up and you were sitting on my bed.”

“At the Burrow, in the garden-” Ginny started, ticking off her fingers.

“When you hugged me-“ Harry caught on to the chain of events, the pieces falling into place.

“On your birthday- in the hollow- when you were on the bench.” Ginny touched the back of her head “Sorry.”

“The train,” Harry didn’t bother hiding his resentment. “Malfoy.”

“My dream.”

“Flying.”

“The alley.

“The hospital wing, twice.” Harry looked to smiling wizard behind the desk. “Dumbledore.”

“Quidditch.” Ginny finished the chain and turned to Dumbledore. “It changed, didn’t it?”

“Yes it did.” He smiled back at his young students.

“Can we still share each others thoughts if we wanted to, without invoking that Po... Potes... that bond thing?” Ginny asked.

“It is my hope that we can sort out exactly what the two of you are capable of. One of which is controlling the Vita Potestas bond. As I have already explained, that specific ability should be mastered before it is tried again. But to answer your question, yes, you could.”

“How can we share our thoughts and not our power? How do we tell the difference?” Harry blushed at the thought of what he was going to say next. “I mean, all I have to do is concentrate on Ginny and it just happens.”

“It’s a matter of our intentions.” Ginny sounded wiser than her years, Dumbledore merely nodded. “You wanted me to take your strength in the alley, I remember, that’s what you wanted, I could feel it and I accepted it-”

“-and it was too much.” That part was at least making sense to Harry, “If it wasn’t for Ron and Lupin distracting me...” Harry swallowed the lump in his throat. “That’s why you lost consciousness, it was too much-”

“-and why you were so weak, Harry.” It was Dumbledore who spoke.
“I am amazed that you were able to block out Tom’s intrusion and break free of the body-binding hex Professor Lupin placed on you. By all means, that should not have been possible.”

“When I saw Harry that night, I was so relieved. I wanted him to be okay too.” Ginny gazed down to her lap. Harry noticed that she was fussing with the cuff of her sleeve, it was another one of those little things he noticed about her.

“Ron knew what was happening, that’s why he told me to look away, to break it off.” Harry continued to watch her, remembering Ron’s effort at his bedside.

“When you helped us reconnect later that night, you told us to recall those same feelings we had in the alley, the same intentions...” Ginny blushed slightly at her next confession. “The light... magic... came from me because I... because when I heard you say aloud that you wanted to give me your strength, I wanted to give it back and I suppose I did a little.”

“That’s why you asked if I felt better, because you knew what Ginny was doing?” Harry asked Dumbledore. “It’s what I couldn’t do.”

“I had my theories, I must admit.” Dumbledore sighed, “But as I have said before, nobody has ever accomplished so much, at such a young age, than the two of you. I cannot stress enough the responsibility that comes with such power.”

Silence once again fell between them; only the whirling, spinning, magical instruments in the cupboard kept the room from being completely still with their faint sputtering and humming noises. Harry had fixed his site on an obscure point on the floor after he noticed that Ginny was doing the same. He had been given yet another burden to carry and Ginny was in the balance again.

“Would you like to try?” Both Harry and Ginny shot up, surprised at what Dumbledore had offered.

“The Vita Potestas?” Harry asked skeptically, he didn’t think it was a good idea, the very thought of what they could do, what he could do to her, scared him.

“No, not today.” He smiled softly, “But I was hoping that you would consent to attend our lessons together with the accompaniment of Miss Weasley, that is if she is willing to join us?”

Not wanting to assume her approval, Harry concealed his grin and turned to Ginny, taking on the proper tone of their walks. “Miss Weasley, will you?”

There was an unmistakable truth hidden behind the lofty veil of Ginny’s reply.

“Why, I would never turn you down, Mr. Potter.”





A/N: Okay, there it is. You get some answers concerning H/G's bond which have been a long time coming, more tension between the two, and Ron is stepping up. The Holidays are on then horizon... Feedback and suggestions always welcome, I like chocolate *wink,wink*. Thanks for all the reads and reviews! ~Patrony
The Unhappy, Happy Christmas by PatronyBologna
Chapter 16








The Unhappy, Happy Christmas





“Now be good and don’t get into any trouble you lot.” Mrs. Weasley was pulling Ginny’s traveling cloak tighter around her neck, making sure that it was securely attached before tucking in the ends of her Gryffindor scarf.

Harry noticed that Ginny seemed to be taking the mollycoddling in stride as he fished his arm through the sleeve of his own heavy cloak.

“Yes, Mum.” Ginny muffled through the scarf, prying the knitted layers off her mouth with her gloved finger when Mrs. Weasley turned and fussed with Ron.

“Dinner will be ready at six o’clock. Lupin and Tonks are welcome if they’d like to join us.” Mrs. Weasley brushed the crinkles off of her sons broadening shoulders. “Six o’clock!”

“Yes, Mum.” Ron answered and reached up on top of the mantle for the small pewter cauldron containing the Floo Powder. Turning back to Harry and Ginny he asked, “Are we ready?”

“Absolutely.” Ginny pulled the scarf down under her chin but caught a disproving look from Mrs. Weasley and hoisted it back up.

“Have a good time, Harry.” It was his turn to be given the once-over. He had hoped that by watching her tuck, tighten, and bundle her own children, that he had successfully performed the job himself, making sure that he did not repeat their mistakes. However, this was Mrs. Weasley and she was sure to find something that needed to be adjusted.

“Stick together now,” She had found it, a loose clasp on his cloak, wiggling the sliver latch, the broken threads pulling out of the thick wool as she clicked her tongue in displeasure. “Oh dear, I’ll need to fix this before you can leave.”

“Mum, really?” Ron’s patience was running out. Harry looked back to him and shrugged helplessly and Ginny just rolled her water eyes, her face fully flushed from the extra warmth. “Hermione is going to meet us there and we’ll be late.”

“It’ll just take a moment.” The matriarch pulled her wand from out of her patchwork apron. “It looks like someone tried to rip it off.”

That would have been me’ Harry thought to himself. He remembered getting tangled up in it when he was trying to find Ginny. The memory of it, the feelings of panic that he had had, churned in his stomach.

Mrs. Weasley muttered the simple spell and replaced her wand with a satisfied sigh.

“There, all better.” She said looking up into Harry’s eyes. At that moment he realized that he was now taller her. He understood Mrs. Weasley’s attempt to hold on to them by fussing with this and that, the ability to keep them safe and protected, was slipping away with their adolescence.

“Thanks, I’ve been meaning to get that fixed.” Harry returned with a small nod.

“Say hello to Hermione and wish her a Happy Christmas.” Mrs. Weasley gave him a quick hug before moving to Ron and finally Ginny. “Remember, six o’clock sharp!”

Ron offered the powder to Harry first. He took a small handful and stepped into the Burrows fireplace. “The Leaky Cauldron.” He made sure to speak it clearly. There was whirl of green flames, and with one last look at Ginny, he was gone.


Harry stepped down off the hearth inside the inn, brushing the soot off his cloak, then removing his glasses to clean them.

“Wotcher, Harry.” He didn’t need prefect vision to make out the trademark, bubblegum pink hair, of one Nymphadora Tonks.

“Hey, Tonks.” Harry replaced his glasses at walked over to the occupied table. “Hermione, Lupin.”

“Hi, Harry.” Hermione chimed. “Got your list?”

“I’m sure you do.” He replied, there was another flash of green and Ginny stepped through looking thoroughly relieved.

“So, where would you like to go today?” Lupin asked Harry before taking a sip of his tea.

“Dunno, I don’t really have a specific place in mind.” Harry jotted his head towards the fireplace where Ginny was freeing herself from the many layers her mum had wrapped around her. It was his way of letting Lupin know that he really didn’t want to discuss it with the present company. His guardian, perceptive as he was, didn’t ask any further.

With one final flash of green, the last member of their party arrived and like his sister, he took off as many layers as necessary before joining the rest at the table.

“How’s Pig been for you?” Ron asked Hermione, standing directly to the side of her. He had given her Pig to take home for the holidays. “He hasn’t been eaten by that cat of yours, has he?”

“Of course not.” Hermione smiled, Harry thought it was odd that she was doing so. “He’s just fine, thanks. We’re getting along quite splendidly.”

“Good.” Ron answered back, loosening his scarf from around his neck. “Shall we get on with it then?”

“I suppose us girls will stick together?” Tonks got up from the table and slipped on her gloves. “The boys won’t be able to keep up with our shopping skills and there’s a new set of dress robes at Madam Malkins, it’s all the rage and you girls have just got to see them.” By her last remark, Tonks had reached a twitter that only girls were capable of speaking or understanding.

“Oh, and I’m out of Dewberry lip gloss so we have to go and pick some up while we’re here.” Ginny added to the list of girly things to do in the same twittering fashion, further giving the boys ample reasons not to join them.

“I think it would be for the best.” Lupin set down his mug and leaned back on the hind legs of his chair. “Meet back here at three to switch and five to head back?”

“Yeah, Mum has invited you two for dinner tonight at six if you’re interested.” Ron remembered to tell Lupin and Tonks of his mother’s request.

“Three and five it is.” Tonks smiled back at the remaining boys. “Do we get a head start?”

“You’ll need it.” Lupin rocked back down and gestured Harry and Ron to take a seat.

“We’ll let you know if... just like we talked about.” Tonks had flash of seriousness, Harry watched Lupin’s expression match hers, before turning to the waiting girls, “Shall we?”

“Lead the way.” Hermione said, both girls smirking like a cat that had caught the canary.







“Girls.” Ron muttered over his fresh mug of piping hot tea.

“So, do you boys have in mind what you’re after today?” Lupin was clearing enjoying himself.

“Yep.” Ron replied, still face down over his mug.

“I’m not sure,” Harry grabbed his mug, “But I’ll know when I see it.”

“Who’s on your list?” Smiling slightly, Lupin inquired of them.

Harry kept silent, it was Ron who answered, relieving him of the burden to think fast. “Everyone.”

“Yeah, we didn’t get to do much shopping in Hogsmeade.” Harry replied dryly. “Had a bit of a detour.”

When they had finished their drinks, the trio thanked Tom the innkeeper and made their way to the familiar entrance to Diagon Alley.

“Gringotts?” The eldest member asked.

“No, already taken care of.” Harry stepped through the brick archway before it magically sealed itself behind him. “Inside connections.”

“Flourish and Blotts.” Ron said, plowing his way through the snowy alley, sidestepping the few remaining, last minute holiday shoppers brave enough to venture. “Let’s start there.”


Harry was able to find a book he thought Ron would enjoy. It was titled, ‘Quidditch Plays Through The Centuries’. He went to the cashier to make the purchase, noticing that Ron was busy picking out what was becoming a stack of books over in an obscure corner of the shop. He watched his friend rifle through them, checking the inside cover and the first few pages before dismissing it and moving onto the next. Lupin was thumbing through a copy of the Daily Prophet at the newsstand not far from the cashier desk.

“Anything new?” Harry asked, walking up behind him, glancing at the article he was reading.

“Oh, more attacks, Death Eater sightings and the sort.” Lupin rustled to the next page that was dedicated to write-in submissions by readers. “Nothing we don’t already know about, of course.”

Warning: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named And Teapots.” Harry tried not to laugh at the Headline he was reading. “...Shirley Redding of Bramburg believes that the infamous wizard has possessed her unsuspecting neighbor by way of her teapot. Ms. Redding claims that she became extremely agitated shortly after enjoying a mid-morning tea to which she was invited but fortunately did not partake in.

Lupin folded the paper and put it back on the rack with the other copies.

“Like Voldemort couldn’t think of a better way to control people.” Harry shook his head at the outlandish allegations.

“People are scared, Harry.” Lupin sighed. “Seemingly normal people believe and do crazy things when they’re scared.”

“But teapots?” Harry eyed him skeptically.

“Some of them may have merit, a shred of truth, but most do not.” Lupin turned and glanced around the store to find his second ward for the day. “It’s information and right now, we need all we can get no matter how ridiculous.”




“Stationers for one last thing and then I’m done, well... except for yours, Harry.” Ron said happily as they walked out of the bookstore with a few books wrapped in plain brown paper. “Any luck?”

“Na, just one down.” Harry replied miserably, he considered everyone easy to shop for with the exception of Ginny. He didn’t know exactly what to get her but he knew that he wanted it to be special, but not too special... she was not his girlfriend.

They spent a few minutes in Stationers, he purchased two Ever-Sharp Quills and a Self-Inking inkbottle for Hermione, it’s guaranteed to refill at least four times before the spell runs out. It would last the average Hogwarts student all year, but with Hermione, it would be lucky to last two months.

Time was passing quickly as they went to almost every shop that remained open in Diagon Alley. A lot of his favorite places had closed their doors from the lack of customers now that Voldemort was out in the open. Harry still had not found just the right gift he was looking for. A quarter before three, he reached a point of desperation.

“Let’s try the junk shop.” Harry took the lead and crossed the icy alley. “It’s the only place we haven’t tried yet.”

They entered the shop, its hodge-podge displays of odds and ends cluttered what little space there was. There were cloaks of every size, color and style, he found a few that would have rivaled Ron’s old dress robes. Burnt cauldrons, cracked statues of beasts, wizards and witches, various degrees of household items and things that Harry had no idea what they were or their exact uses. The crusty looking shopkeeper, his magnified eyes wide with the sight of potential customers, contrasting with his slicked, dark gray hair, followed Harry as he navigated the aisles, offering to provide help at a moments notice.

Harry had to shift items off the counters to see what was hidden inside the glass display cases. Ron was amusing himself with an old pair of ominoculars and Lupin was fidgeting with an odd looking brass gadget.

He wasn’t having any luck and the ever-present shopkeeper was getting on his nerves, feeling added pressure. It seemed like the harder he looked, the less he would be successful, and nothing struck him as being that one thing, just for Ginny. Harry was beginning to think that he was just wasting his time on something he would never find.

“We better get going, Harry. Maybe you’ll find what you’re looking for on a return trip.” Lupin told him consolingly, “Tonks is a stickler for being on time and I wouldn’t fancy a telling off for being late.”

“Yeah,” he sighed deeply from the back of the store and set down an ugly bust of a famous opera witch. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Turning back to the storefront and an awaiting Ron and Lupin, Harry’s eyes caught a glimpse of something partially hidden behind an old wizarding photograph of a wizard receiving a certificate of some sort. His heart jumped as he moved the mishmash off of the case to get a better look at what he had found. ‘This is it, this was perfect.’ He said to himself.

“Excuse me, Sir?” Harry asked the storekeeper who was already behind the counter, not taking his eyes off of Ginny’s gift.





Tonks, Hermione, and Ginny were waiting for them near the brick entrance. All three were carrying at least one shopping bag apiece.

“You’re late.” Tonks smiled at Lupin as he shuffled through the snow.

“No,” He corrected her politely, “We’re exactly on time, you’re just early.”

“Uh-uh.” Tonks looked at him knowingly. “Ready for a trade off then?”

“Sure.” Lupin asked, “Any trouble?”

“Nope, none whatsoever.” Tonks remained cheerful as she turned to the rest of the group, “So who’s with me?”

“I am.” Hermione was the first to speak up, she was obviously enjoying her ‘girl time’ with Tonks. “Come on Ron.”

“See you later.” Ron rolled his eyes but dutiful obeyed, following the two twittering girls back up the alley.

“Where to next, Ginny.” Lupin asked, “Ladies first.”

“Oh, I’m done, thanks.” Ginny held up her small shopping bag. “But I’d really like to go to Weasley’s Wizarding Wheeze’s, I hear it’s a fine establishment.”

Harry grinned, he too wanted the chance to visit Fred and George’s shop.

“It’s decided then.” Lupin nodded and the three of them made their way to the only remaining joke shop in Diagon Alley.

Harry and Ginny were amazed to see what Fred and George had accomplished before they took their first step onto the premises. The window display alone was impressive.

Ginny was the first to enter, the small bell that hung just below the doorjamb tinkled upon their entrance. The store ceiling was enchanted with sparkling snowflakes and red and green baubles. Fred was the first to appear from the back room.

“Ginny! Harry! Professor Lupin!” He boisterously greeted them. Fred embraced his sister, then vigorously shook Harry and Lupin’s hand. “How nice of you to stop by! George, we have special customers!”

Striding importantly out from behind the curtain, the other twin appeared, he too was just as pompous and loud in matching, dark blue robes with their logo stitched just below the shoulder. Ginny had had enough and told her brothers to knock it off or she would never step foot in another Wizarding Wheeze’s if her life depended on it.

“Just having fun.” Fred dropped the act.

“Business has been really slow today.” George freely admitted. “But we’re glad you’re here.”

“We’ll show you around our humble shop.” Fred took hold of Ginny’s arm and directed her to the left with Harry, Lupin, and George bringing up the rear.


Just before the tour of the back room was completed, the bell above the door tinkled again. George peeked out through the curtain before turning back to the rest of the group.

“It’s Ron, Hermione, and Tonks.” He whispered back mischievously. “Now we can really have some fun.”

Fred lowered his voice, “Ginny, here’s a gift just for Ron if you’re up to it.” He pulled out a small white wrapped box, bright green curling ribbon decorated the top of it, and placed it into her hands.

“What’s in it?” Lupin asked, nostalgic of his younger days of mischief.

“Just a little something he’ll enjoy.” George whispered again from the curtain, he was watching the newest customers browse the shop. “Or not.”

“Fred.” The youngest Weasley was not satisfied with their answers. “I’m not giving this to him unless I know exactly what it does.”

“I’m going in.” George whispered back to the group with a wink then proceeded to burst through the curtain in the same flamboyant manner.

“It’s harmless, really.” Fred turned slightly pink, but kept his devilish grin. “Nothing is in the package, well... nothing tangible.”

“Is it cursed?” Harry asked, his curiosity piqued.

“Not exactly, it’s more of an aid of sorts.” The twin’s eyes twinkled, “Think of it as doing him a favor.”

“Aid to what?” Ginny shook the box in front of Fred’s face in frustration.

“It’s Magical Mistletoe. The purchaser or in this case, the receiver, opens the box and unleashes the spell, every time someone wishes him Happy Christmas, a lovely sprig of mistletoe will appear above his head.”

“What’s the catch?” Lupin eyed him and Ginny grunted in agreement.

“Nothing. It’s just that to get rid of the mistletoe, whoever had wished him Happy Christmas has to snog him.” Fred jerked his head back to the front of the store where they could hear George laying it on thick, Hermione giggling and Ron’s temper rising. “In his case, a witch.”

“That’s it?” Ginny asked one last time, “No surprises?”

“No surprises, it’s not even guaranteed.” Fred put his hand over his heart. “Well, the product is, the snogging isn’t.”

From the look on Ginny’s face, he could tell that she didn’t buy it.

“Look, it’s set up so that a kiss, an innocent peck on the cheek from a family member won’t work. It has to be a...”

Ginny turned pink, “How long does it last?”

“Twenty-four hours.” Fred raised his brows playfully, “Do I have a taker?”

“I think Hermione needs to come over for dinner.” Ginny started making plans of her own, she spun around to Lupin. “Do you think Tonks would mind taking her back to her parents house tonight?”

“Uh, that’s up to her.” Lupin tried to back out of any involvement, weary of the budding plan.

“Harry, what do you think?” She tried to get another conspirator.

“Brilliant.” He agreed easily, “It’ll be an extra present from us... well, not from us exactly.”

“Good.” Fred beamed and walked out of the back room with Ginny who slipped the magical ‘aid’ into her bag.

“A bit presumptuous, don’t you think?” Lupin sighed to Harry, now that they were standing alone in the backroom, clearly having his reservations.

“I’m just glad we’re on their side,” Harry admitted with a grin, “but it should be good fun.”

“Fun?” His guardian bounced on his heels momentarily before opening up the curtain to walk through. “I’ll remember that.”






Ginny worked her charm and convinced Hermione and Tonks to stay for dinner in no time flat. Harry knew that Ginny could turn it on and off at will but was surprised to see how gifted in the art of manipulation she truly was. Although, Ron’s enthusiasm at the prospect of have another dinner guest helped solidify the invitation.

It was five o’clock and with all the shopping done and the pieces of their latest offensive front in motion, Harry, Ginny, and Ron, returned to the Burrow.


“Ron?” Mrs. Weasley called from the kitchen amid the bangs of pots and pans.

“Yeah?” He hollered back, pulling off his cloak and laying it across the back of a nearby chair.

“Ron,” Mrs. Weasley called again. “I need you to get the extra chairs out of the shed.”

“Coming.” Ron sighed and took off towards the kitchen, “Harry, can you take my bag up to our room?”

“Sure, no problem.” Harry smiled at Ginny, aware that an opportunity presented it’s self.

“Ginny.” Mrs. Weasley walked through the kitchen door, drying her hands. “Can you set the table? I hear we have another guest for dinner.”

“Okay, just let me put my things away first.” Ginny held up her bag. “I can’t leave this lying around.”

“Yes well, be quick about it.” Mrs. Weasley then turned to Harry. “You can just relax, dear.”

“Oh, I’d like to help, if that’s okay?” Harry shrugged, keeping his face as straight as possible.

“That would be nice.” And with that she left back to the kitchen, flinging the dishtowel over her shoulder.


“Let’s hurry before Ron gets back.” Ginny immediately sprung into action.

They grabbed their things, Harry taking Ron’s bag like he had said, and sprinted upstairs.

At the first landing, Ginny grabbed his arm to stop him, jerking him back off his balance, he was midway on a step. He watched as she pulled the special present from her bag and placed it in his. Harry caught his breath as she moved close to him, on her tiptoes she whispered into his ear.

“Put this on his bed.” She pulled back, biting her lower lip to keep the laughter in.

He had to regain his momentary lapse of all rational thought, “Now?”

“No, tomorrow.” Ginny whispered incredulously, “Of course now. He needs to open it tonight, before dinner... before Hermione goes home.”

“Yeah right, sorry.” Still grasping for a shred of logic.

“Put your things away and meet me back downstairs. We need to be back before he comes up.”

Harry nodded and stood there for a moment before he stepped up to the second staircase. Again, Ginny caught him and pulled him back down to the landing.

“Get on with it!” She cheekily smiled and disappeared into her room.

Once inside the room, he carefully pulled out the contents of his bag. Most of the items he stowed in his trunk, Ginny’s gift he was extra careful with and hid it wrapped in a ball of socks and inside his pillowcase. With the gift meant for Ron, he placed it carefully on his bed just as Ginny had asked, treating it like the spell could somehow explode or leak onto him and he’d find himself the one with a halo of mistletoe. Thinking more on the prospect, it wasn’t such a bad invention, he wouldn’t mind too terribly if it was Ginny who removed his. With the deed done, the trap set, Harry bounded back down the stairs and into the kitchen where Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, and a snow-blown, cobweb-covered Ron were busy with dinner preparations.





“I expect Tonks, Professor Lupin, and Hermione will be here any minute now.” Ginny said, finishing up the table. “Oh, Fred and George said that they’d be late.”

“You’re a mess, Ronald.” Mrs. Weasley looked at her youngest son, magiking a large soup tureen onto the table. “Go get cleaned up before they get here.”

“Yes, Mum.” And Ron trudged up the stairs, pulling the larger cobwebs from off his maroon jumper.



With the arrival of Mr. Weasley and the table set, Harry and Ginny retired to the sofa, eagerly awaiting the appearance of mistletoe at the first Happy Christmas.

“Do you think he’ll open it?” Harry asked.

“Of course he will.” Ginny smiled. “Wouldn’t you?”

“Probably.” He sighed as the fire turned green and Hermione stepped out. “Hey.”

“So it worked out?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah, they had an emergency root canal patient come in right before closing, so they didn’t mind.” Hermione hung her cloak on the pegboard. “Smells good.”

“Mum will be glad to hear it.” Ginny grinned, more to Harry then Hermione, the thundering footfalls to Ron could be heard above them, stomping out of the bathroom and back to his room.

“This will be the last time I can come and visit before Christmas though.” Hermione turned and flopped down into a chair.

“It’s only two days away, then you can come and visit again for New Years.” Ginny was very consoling. “You’ll just have to wish us all Happy Christmas now.”

Harry couldn’t help himself, a loud snort had escaped at her last remark, feeling Ginny’s foot connecting with his shin, he tried to cover it up with a sudden violent cough. Thankfully, the fire roared back to life and Tonks stepped in, sufficiently distracting Hermione.


With dinner ready, and Lupin just arriving, the group made there way into the kitchen and the large Weasley family table. Harry thought smartly of taking a seat next to Lupin and was flanked by Ginny. Hermione sat across from Harry, leaving an empty seat, Tonks sat at the corner while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took up their positions at the head and foot of the table. Two extra chairs, the ones Ron brought in from the shed, sat in the corner, waiting to be used when the twins arrived.

Ron finally entered the kitchen, his hair still wet and wearing yet another maroon jumper his mother had made for him.

“Hey, sorry.” He said to the table and took the seat next to Hermione.

“Let’s eat.” Mr. Weasley dismissed his tardiness and lifted the lid off the tureen.

Every once and awhile, Harry would feel Ginny step on his toes underneath the table as the dinner conversation got going. He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do, but by her quite sputters and furtive looks, she was expecting something.

“Oh.” Harry said aloud, to which Ginny was quick on his toes. “Oh.”

“What is it, Harry?” Lupin asked.

“Oh... I was uh, just... I’m going to miss not having you around, Hermione.” Harry could feel his face flushing and the awkward looks he received from Ginny, Lupin, and Ron.

Ginny was fast on the recovery, “Mum, Hermione will be spending the holidays with her family. We’re all going to miss not having her around this year.”

“Yes, of course we’ll miss you dear,” Mrs. Weasley turned to Hermione, “but your invited to come and stay with us for New Years if your parents permit and we’ll take you back to Kings Cross. You know you’re always welcome here... Happy Christmas.”

Hermione shrunk back at all the odd attention and replied, “Happy Christmas Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Professor Lupin,” who nearly choked on his stew and reached for his napkin to cover his mouth, “Harry, Ginny...”

And then it happened, “Happy Christmas Ron, Tonks.”

There was a little ‘pop’ and suspended above Ron’s head, enveloped in a sparkling mist, was a sprig of Mistletoe, just as Fred said there would be.

Ginny giggled, cramming in a large piece of bread to stop herself and Harry tried to contain his own amusement, it had worked. Everyone noticed the little white berry branch above Ron’s head but him.

“You’re quite festive today.” Tonks told a bewildered Ron.

“What?” He said, not understanding why everyone was staring at and above him.

“Son,” Mr. Weasley took pity, “you’ve got some Mistletoe.”

“I’ve got what?” Ron blindly reached above his head, just missing the sprig.

“Mistletoe.” Hermione blushed, discretely pointing upwards.

“Mistletoe?” Ron was still groping frantically above his head and Ginny’s giggles grew louder.

“Ron, take that down now.” Mrs. Weasley tried not to laugh at his predicament. “I will not have this nonsense at the table. I’d expect this from your brothers, but not from you.”

“Fred and George.” Ron seethed, still coming up short.

“It’s traditional to kiss someone if they’re under the mistletoe.” Tonks added as if she was talking about the weather, buttering the second half of her roll and dabbing it into her stew. “It looks like you’ll need to be kissed, it’s the only cure.”

Ron quickly slid out from the table, hoping to see his current bane of existence above where he was seated. Harry bit harder into his cheek when Ron realized that it was still above him. By this time, Ginny was gasping for breath.

Overcome with frustration and embarrassment, Ron got up and walked out of the kitchen. Ginny immediately quieted at the surprising turn of events, she had thought Ron would have taken it all in good measure. Everyone sat, listening to the front door being thrown open and slammed shut, the nearby window rattled in the casement from the force.

“Ginevra Molly?” Mr. Weasley asked.

“Yes, Dad.” She eeked out, he had used her full given name and knew what was coming.

“Did you have something to do with this?” Mr. Weasley eyed her suspiciously over the basket of dinner rolls.

“Yes.” She admitted, not incriminating anyone else.

Her father slumped back in his chair in thought. Harry knew that she was in trouble and by all rights, he should be in trouble too.

“I helped.” He croaked. “I gave it to him, well... not directly. I left it on his bed. We knew what would happen.”

“I see.” Mr. Weasley wiped the corners of his mouth with his napkin, still contemplating the degree of their offense.

Hermione suddenly got up, muttering to be excused from the table and left the kitchen. Harry assumed that she was going after Ron and that both would be quite upset with the two of them.

“Dishes, the both of you, for the rest of the holiday.” Mrs. Weasley was the first to offer punishment. “If that’s satisfactory with Remus.”

“Yes, Mum.”

“Yes, Mrs. Weasley.”

“I’d like to add to it, if I may.” Lupin spoke, sitting up in his chair.

Harry tensed, he had no idea what type of punishment Lupin would prescribe. After all, he was there when the plans were made and didn’t stop him.

“I think they should apologize to Ron and Hermione.” Lupin took a drink of mead, leaving ample time for Harry to believe that it was the only repentance he required of them. “And if you agree, Arthur... Molly, I’d like both Harry and Ginny not to speak to each other-“

“What?” Ginny leaned into the table to look at the Professor on the other side of Harry, disbelieving what she had just heard.

“Don’t interrupt, young lady, you’re in enough trouble as it is.” Mrs. Weasley was quick to reel her in.

“Sorry, Professor.” Ginny hung her head and resumed her position, somewhat hiding beside Harry who remained silent.

“You will not be permitted to speak to each other until Christmas dinner. And...” Harry finally looked to Lupin, who barely inclined his head, wordlessly telling him that it was not a joke. “You are to be in the same room during waking hours, with obvious exceptions of course.” He swirled the last of his mead before finishing it off.

“Arthur?” Mrs. Weasley asked, looking satisfied with the arrangement.

“Agreed.” Mr. Weasley raised his glass, “Here’s to a bit of peace and quiet.”

“Peace and quiet!” George, followed by Fred, entered the kitchen.

“Not while we’re here.” Fred laughed. “Happy Christmas.”

“Happy Christmas yourself.” Ginny did not hide her resentment.






The rest of dinner was excruciating to say the least. He hadn’t considered the fact that Ron would react like that and that he and Ginny would be dealt multiple punishments, not that they were so bad. Harry was grateful when the remaining adults left the kitchen for the parlor, leaving him and Ginny to their work. It was stipulated that they could talk until they apologized, which had to be tonight, before Hermione and Tonks left, and time was quickly running out.

Harry washed, Ginny rinsed and dried, and together they put the various pots, plates, bowls, and whatnots away. It was also decided that they would apologize together, to both Ron and Hermione at the same time.

“Ginny?” Harry asked, scrubbing the bottom of the stew pot.

“Yeah?” She pulled a few bread plates out of the water, letting them drip before placing them on the rack.

“It wasn’t that bad, was it?” Harry gave the pot a quarter turn and scrubbed some more where a carrot slice had scorched. “I thought they were, you know... I didn’t think he’d react like that.”

“Neither did I.” Ginny fished out a handful of spoons from the bottom of the sink. “I just didn’t see it that way, I didn’t think about it.”

“How do we tell them?” Harry was truly at a loss, “I’m sorry doesn’t seem to cut it.”

“Sure it does.” Ginny took the dishtowel and began drying the plates. “We’ll tell them exactly why we did it.”

“And why exactly did we do it?” Harry finally removed the carrot remains.

“Because I was being childish and you’re a stupid git.” Ginny stated matter-of-factly, stacking the now dry plates on the table with the rest of the clean dishes.

“You know, that’s the third time now that you’ve called me that.” Harry emptied out the pot and let it splash into the rinsewater, the spray catching Ginny when she turned around.

“You’re counting?” Ginny chuckled, blotting at her mother’s apron she had borrowed.

“No.” Harry took the dishtowel away from Ginny and dried his hands.

“Whatever, Potter.” Ginny snatched the towel back and began dry and sort the utensils.

“How are we going to keep quiet?” He took a stack of bowls and put them away. Harry had spent so much time with the Weasley’s, he knew where most things belonged.

“We can mime,” She snorted, dropping a butter knife onto its respective pile.

“We can write.” Harry added with his back to her, putting the tureen on the bottom shelf of the china cabinet.

“We can...” Ginny looked up and waited for him to face her. “practice one of our-“

“No.” Harry said flatly. “No we cannot.”

“Why not?” Ginny dried off the ladle. “Why do you think Lupin gave us that punishment?”

“I don’t care why and we’re not.” Harry was adamant, he would not be invoking any bond, Legilimency or not.

Ginny huffed, took up the rest of the knives and spoons to put them away. “You’re being silly.”

“I am not.” His temper was rising and his voice lowered. “I won’t do it, Gin.”

“What are you afraid of?” Ginny pushed the drawer shut and turned to face him. “We know what we can and cannot do, Dumbledore said that we just can’t-“

“No.” Harry made sure that it was the last word and returned to the sink to pull the stew pot out to dry.

He could hear Ginny put the last of the dishes away behind him and got a towel in the face shortly after he’d asked for it. Lupin came in just in time to witness the incident.

“Ron and Hermione are back in, Tonks is getting ready to leave.” Lupin told the squabbling pair.

Ginny was sitting crossed-legged on the table, her free leg bouncing up and down impatiently, her arms folded across her chest and looking sour, watching Harry roughly dry the pot, with the same sour expression.

“I’ll tell them to expect the two of you in a minute.” Lupin sized up the situation and backed out of the room.

Harry neatly folded the damp towel and laid it on countertop, his eyes glaring at Ginny and hers glared right back. Periodically she would blow the same lock of hair out of her face.

At last she rolled her eyes, got up and walked out. Harry followed behind, catching the door before it closed on him.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were sitting together on the sofa, Lupin sat in the side chair, Tonks had her cloak hung over her arm, standing behind him, and Ron and Hermione were both sitting on the floor by the fire. Harry noticed right away that the mistletoe had been removed.

“I’m sorry.” Harry started from behind the sofa, standing the length of it away from Ginny.

“I’m sorry.” Ginny cut in, her arms still folded tightly across her chest.

“It was a prank.” He admitted, watching their faces change.

“We didn’t mean it to embarrass-” She added.

“-Didn’t think-.” He cut in.

“-Harmless, really.” She answered tartly.

“She’s being childish.” He looked to Ginny.

“He’s a stupid git.” She shot back and muttered under her breath, “That’s four now.”

“I’m sorry.” Both of them practically shouting their final apology to a gaping Ron and Hermione.

“Good night.” Ginny huffed and turned to make her way upstairs.

“Good night.” Harry followed suit, marching past her without a single word. He could feel all eyes on him as he disappeared from sight, retreating to a room without Ginny.





Ron had come up quite late, probably to make sure that he was asleep. Harry just layed on his side, away from the door and Ron’s bed. Frustration ran through him into the small hours of the morning without respite.

She’s so stubborn.’ Harry kicked off the blanket. ‘So stubborn.

Flipping onto his back and running both hands through his hair, hoping to entice some sleep. ‘Why is she so stubborn.’

The argument kept going inside his head.

She knows exactly what I could do to her, what could happen to the both of us. She knows the rules, she knew Dumbldedore told us not to reconnect, but she did it anyhow.’

Harry took a deep breath and held it. Still feeling restless, he rolled over to his other side, Ron was completely sacked out.

Why did she do it? I didn’t ask her to... she just did it. I would have been fine.’ Harry realized that he was deluding himself, he would not have been fine.

She’s stubborn.’ It was the only point of defense he could make in his own selfish favor.

Harry shoved his hand under his pillow to fluff it up and hit a wad of socks. Lifting his head up, he pulled it out. Shifting to his back again, he peeled the protective layer away, revealing what he had found for Ginny. Examining it carefully, gently running his fingers over many intricate edges and back again, the frustration ebbed. ‘She did it for me.... She doesn’t matter.


Folding her gift back into the socks and replacing it under his pillow, Harry sat up and put his glasses on. Tiptoeing quietly he opened the trunk at the foot of his bed. With parchment, ink, wand and quill in hand, he crept across the darkened room and slipped unheard down the stairs, pausing briefly at Ginny’s door, before continuing on to the kitchen. Carefully pulling out a chair, Harry lit a small oil lamp and settled down to write. Holding the ink-laden quill above the parchment, he wrote her name. No greetings or pretense, just Ginny. For the next two hours, the lamp on the table remained lit and the scratching made from quill to parchment, giving life to his etched out thoughts, stirred the still night air.



A/N: Next chapter is finished, it just needs some tweaking here and there. Things jumped ahead from where we last left off, but questions will be answered soon enough. Thanks so much for all the reads and reviews. I really appreciate every single one! Thanks to Whizzbee, the wonderful beta! ~Patrony :)
Dishes by PatronyBologna
Chapter 17






Dishes








The night’s snow had stuck to the windowpane, masking the corners like frozen cobwebs on the tiny attic window of Ron’s room. With only a few hours of restless sleep, Harry was up with the sun. He leaned against the headboard, forearms resting on his knees as he re-read, for what seemed like the thousandth time, his letter to Ginny. It had ended up being rather lengthy, both the front and back of the parchment was covered in his untidy, tiny scrawl. Already, the edges were crinkled and a corner dog-eared from the wear.

Midway through the fifth reading of the morning, Ron began to stir. Harry quickly grabbed a spare, blank sheet of parchment, and began to fold his thoughts to her inside it. Creasing the middle and then the bringing the two corners together, with another fold here and there, Harry was able to secure the letter in a self-made envelope. Before Ron was fully coherent, Harry tucked it under his mattress to be delivered later.

“Morning.” Harry greeted him tentatively. He knew that it was less of an apology he had given him and Hermione last night and more of a continuation of an argument. It was time, he felt, for the real thing.

“Morning.” Ron growled and let out a deep yawn, reaching with his elbows to the ceiling.

“I’m really sorry.” Harry jumped right to it.

“I know.” Ron said, still stretching. “You’re forgiven.”

“I am?” Harry wasn’t expecting to get off the hook that easy. Before he could think better of it he asked, “Aren’t you still mad?”

“No, well...” Ron let his arms falls to the side and swung around to face Harry. “No.”

“Look, Ginny and I thought it would be- We didn’t think it through.” Harry started his explanation anyway, his now empty hands dangling between his knees.

“I was in a bad mood yesterday, from the moment I got up actually.” Ron stood and scratched his backside while shuffling his way to the door. “I just let it get to me more than I should have.”

“How’s Hermione?” Harry trailed off, expecting the worse.

“She wasn’t too thrilled at first, but she came around to the idea.” Ron smirked, and headed for the loo, leaving Harry time to think about it.

“She came around to the idea?” Harry asked a few minutes later when Ron came back, “I thought Fred and George cast a counter-spell, like your Dad told them to do.”

“They were,” Ron smiled again, “but they were too late.”

Speechless, Harry just sat there and Ron clearly enjoyed the moment. It was Harry’s first confirmation the he and Hermione were definitely, unmistakably a couple.

“I’ve been really worried about her lately.” Ron walked over to his chest of drawers and began to rummage through them, his face flushed up to his ears. “Did you know there have been attacks on Muggles near her home?”

“No.” Harry replied, ashamed that he had been too wrapped up in his own concerns that he forgot Hermione. He knew that Voldemort and his Death Eaters were causing havoc, he often looked for names, but otherwise dismissed the rest of the particulars, there were just too many.

“That’s why I sent Pig home with her. She can send word right away if something happens.” He pulled out a jumper that he had grown out of, tossed onto a nearby chair, and continued his search. “I know she misses her parents, I would too.”

“Do you think she’s safe?” Harry asked the obvious.

“Dumbledore said that he’d put up wards around the Grangers home with their permission.” Ron, satisfied with what he had, slid the drawer shut, his blush receding. “I’m sure they’ll be fine, nothing to worry about.”

“Yeah.” Harry understood why Ron has been a bit on edge lately, he too had a lot on his plate.

With his fresh clothes in hand, he walked back to the door and chuckled, “I guess it’s the old man in me.”









After his shower, Harry returned to the kitchen to find Mrs. Weasley alone, preparing breakfast.

“Here, let me do that.” Harry came over to the stove and started cracking eggs into the fry pan right beside her.

“You like to cook?” She asked him, lighting the stove with her wand.

“Only when I don’t have to.” Harry dropped the eggshell into the rubbish bin. “The Dursleys made me cook. Of course I don’t know how to cook with magic, though.”

“Oh.” Mrs. Weasley lifted another heavy cast iron pan onto the stove and laid six large sausage links inside. “I’m sure the muggle way is just fine too.”

“Yeah, it just takes more time.” Harry watched over the eggs with a turner in hand, prodding the them every once and awhile with its corner to check the progress.

“You’re up early.” Mrs. Weasley commented, “Sleep well?”

“Just fine.” The eggs were starting to pop and sizzle. “Ron’s up too, he’s wrapping.”

“Is he, now?” With a flick of her wand, she summoned a plate for Harry to put the fried eggs on.

“Ginny still asleep?” He slid the turner under an egg and gently flipped it over, not breaking the yolk.

“I haven’t seen her this morning, no.” She was bent over, half way inside the wizarding icebox.

“Oh.” Harry mumbled and reached to feel the contents of his back pocket, making sure that it was still there.

“I expect the two of you will behave yourselves.” She emerged from the icebox with butter and a jar of marmalade, setting them on the table.

“Yes, Ma’am.” Finished frying all the eggs, Harry laid it on the table as well, then returned to the stove to tend the sausages.

“You can call me Mum, you know.” Mrs. Weasley directed plates from the cupboard. “If you’re comfortable, of course, not that I’m...”

“I, uh...” Harry didn’t know what to say to such a gesture.

“Ma’am and Mrs. Weasley will do just fine.” She smiled, letting him know that she was not expecting an answer. “However you want to address me.”

“Thanks.” He briefly returned the smile before turning back to the sausages. It wasn’t that he didn’t think of her as his mother of sorts, she was the closest thing he had to one. Harry just had never called anyone ‘Mum’ and wasn’t sure if he should start.

The smell of cooking sausages permeated throughout the house, leading Ron’s nose to its source.

“Morning, Mum.” He said, taking a seat at the table and loading up.

Harry sat beside him, he too filled his plate. Ginny had not yet made an appearance this morning and he was wondering if she was purposely avoiding him as long as possible.

“Where’s Dad?” Ron asked between bites, his table manners improving somewhat.

“At the Ministry.” Mrs. Weasley finally joined them. “Lots to do, but I expect him home later this evening and all day Christmas. Fred and George will be here to stay this evening too.”

“What about Bill and Charlie?” Ron asked seconds before shoving a piece of toast topped with egg in his mouth, purposely leaving out his ‘other’ brother.

“Charlie won’t be able to join us, and Bill is spending the holidays with Fleur and her family.” Harry noticed that she was disappointed with the arrangement. “I suppose he needs to meet the future in-laws.”

“Iz key rul go mrri gurr.” He was back to his old habits.

“Yes, Ronald.” His mother disapproved of his distasteful display, “He’s really going to marry her.”



Mrs. Weasley had finished eating, prepared a plate for Ginny, and put the extra food away. Harry had made to start washing, but was told to wait. So with nothing to do, Ron having retreated back to his room, he sat and nibbled on cold toast.

Nine thirty rolled around before Ginny entered. Harry shot up from the miniature toast tower he was building, with leftover marmalade acting as the glue to hold it together, and watched her stumble tiredly in. Her plaid lavender robe hung loosely around her, revealing a white t-shirt and flannel, blue-ticked pajama bottoms as the ties dangled towards her knees with every step. Harry could make out her cloudy eyes, failing to hide them behind her slept-in hair. Mrs. Weasley warmed up her plate as she took a seat at the opposite end of the table, not looking up once at Harry or her mother.

“Do you have wash?” Mrs. Weasley asked, gathering the all the dirty kitchen towels.

“Yeah.” Ginny dully said. “In the hamper, I’ll get them later.”

“I’ll do it, I just wanted to know.” She dropped the towels into a large wicker basket. “How about you, Harry.”

“No, I’m fine, thanks.” Harry replied, squashing the edible tower with his index finger. Mrs. Weasley had left them alone.

Before the door fully shut, Harry stood and pushed up his sleeves. Picking up his glass, fork, and plate, he walked over to the sink and started to run the dishwater. Going back to the table once more to retrieve what dishes were left, Ginny made to get up and join him after taking a few small bites. He shook his head gently and nodded her back to the table.

As she settled down, thinking that he should just get it over with, he reached into his back pocket. She watched him walk around the table and place the envelope next to her plate, letting his fingers linger on top of it, trying to decide if he should leave it or take it back. Harry sighed and gave her a broken smile before making his way back to the sink. Hearing the fork hit her plate and the distinct sound of unfolding parchment, he tried to concentrate on the task before him.

Harry began to go over the letter in his head again, imagining what part she was reading, and listening for a reaction to what he thought might garner one. With half of the dishes washed, and having finished recalling the first page, he waited for to hear the parchment turn over. Taking on the pan he had fried the eggs in, he put his worry and anticipation to good use and scrubbed it out. Dipping it into the rinse, he finally heard what he had been listening for, and began to recite in his head the last page.

Harry took his time with each fork, he was running out of dishes fast, and Ginny still had not finished the letter. He bit his lip and set the sausage pan in to soak, watching the thin layer of soap bubbles spread apart as the grease rose to the surface of the hot water. Not wanting to stand idle any longer, Harry started to dry. With a stack of plates finished, he shouldered the towel and crossed the kitchen to put them away, keeping his eyes glued to the floor, not daring a glance her way. Taking his time, he shifted the plates in the cupboard needlessly and followed the worn path back to the sink, where he met a pair of turquoise fuzzy slippers. He quickly turned his attention to the pan, trying to ignore the fact that his heart went into overtime and brain cells ceased to function whenever she was this close to him.

Ginny reached in front of him, the bulky sleeve of her robe pushed up past her elbow, slipping her plate and fork against the back edge of the sink. Subconsciously holding his breath, he watched her slowly pull away. Harry thought he saw a faint smile in her puffy eyes as she looked at him back over her outstretched arm. There was hope that he was forgiven or at least understood.

Having thoroughly scoured the sausage pan, taking more time than he thought necessary, thinking that she might think he was stalling, which he was, Harry eased the pan into the rinse. Noticing her reach for it, he turned back to wash the remaining plate and fork. Moments later, he felt the towel lift off his shoulder. Sliding the last of the dishes into the adjacent basin, Harry took the opportunity to rinse his hands while Ginny was busy, hastily drying them on his pant legs and returning to the table now that the task was all but done. Capping the marmalade jar and covering the butter, he returned them to the icebox.

This was harder than he thought; the not knowing, the waiting, the silence. As tempted as he was, Harry did not reach her they way he knew how. It would have been very hypocritical of him, since it was his outright refusal to do so that sparked the argument last night in the first place.

Mrs. Weasley bustled in, enchanting the now full laundry basket to follow behind her. “You two done in here?”

“Just about, Mum.” Ginny’s voice cracked.

“Good, then I want you to go get dressed and we can cheer the place up a bit.” She smiled, “You can see that I haven’t had the time and Christmas is just not the same without the decorations.”

“Alright.” Her voice cracked again, putting the last of the dishes away before heading for the door.

“Harry, would you mind telling Ron.” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Sure, no problem.” He popped out from behind the icebox door and followed Ginny out.

Harry used the free time to wrap his gifts with the exception of Ron’s, who was not more than ten feet away, and Ginny’s. Thinking that he was being silly, but still determined all the same, he wanted her to see if first. His logic being that if she hated it, finding them completely hideous, no one would ever have to know but him.




It was late in the afternoon and the lack of decent sleep was catching up with him. Having finished with the decorations, he and Ron stretched out on the floor in front of the fire, starting game of wizards’ chess and Ginny curled up in her favorite chair with large book. Harry tried desperately to keep his eyes open and his mind in the game, but nodded off anyway, jerking his head back up when it slipped off his hand. Ron laughed and told him it would all be over in a few moves anyway.

Sure enough, Ron had him at checkmate, officially ending the game. Harry collapsed where he lay, resting his head on his arms, facing the warm fire.

“Here, you might like this.” Ron tossed a pillow off the sofa, it landed just in front of him.

“Thanks.” He said through a yawn and reached out to pull it under his head.

“Mind if I borrow Hedwig?” Ron asked, heading upstairs.

Finding just the right spot, he muffled, “Nuh-uh.”

Comfortable on the hearth rug, the crackling warmth of the fire lulled him fast asleep. From that point on, he was aware of nothing.






“I see we haven’t missed too much excitement.” Harry could hear Fred’s snicker.

“We’ll have to liven it up a bit.” He heard George laugh, followed by a rapid snapping noise, sounding like the muggle fireworks Dudley would set off to scare the neighborhood kids.

Bolting up off the floor, his glasses askew, he had slept so hard that he momentarily forgot where he was and the time and day. Harry looked directly at Fred and George, wondering how long they’d been there and what they’d done to him.

“Have a good nap?” George slid over the back of the sofa, landing casually on the other side.

“Uh, yeah.” Harry ran his hand quickly through his hair and fixed his glasses. He noticed that the ceiling had been enchanted, just as their store had been, and realized that must have been the noise he heard.

“She did too.” Fred stood next to his sister, who was still curled up in the chair with the book leaning open against her chest. He poked her on the shoulder with his finger, effectively waking her up.

“Leave me alone.” Ginny blindly swatted at him and tried to slink deeper into the chair to escape any further prodding. “Sod off.”

“She’s such a delight, our baby sister.” George said sarcastically.

“Always a lady.” Fred vigorously ruffled Ginny’s hair, aggravating her even more, before he fell down on the couch next to his brother.

“Shut up.” Ginny was fully awake now and closed the textbook.

“Us?” George mocked being greatly offended. “Shut up?”

“From what we’ve heard, you’re the ones who were told to shut up.” Fred fired playfully back at Ginny who was gently tugging away at the snarls.

“No thanks to the both of you.” Ginny grounded out, stifling a yawn. “Where’s everybody else?”

“Mums in the kitchen-“

“-Dad’s still at work-“

“And I’m right here.” Ron appeared from the kitchen with a roll in hand.

“Need another-” Fred smirked.

“Shut up.” Ron put a stop to their razzing before it even started, Ginny snorted at his choice of words. “Unless you’d like me to let something, accidentally-on-purpose, slip.”

“Are you blackmailing us?” George asked, taken aback that their little brother would do such a thing. “You wouldn’t, not mum’s little Ronnykins.”

“Yes.” Ron was confident, he pinched off a large chunk, ready to pop it into his mouth. “I’ve learned a few things.”

“He doesn’t know anything.” Fred muttered to the other.

“He couldn’t.” George agreed.

“He’s bluffing.”

“One.”

“Who?”

“Dunno.”

“Push?”

“Maybe?”

“Keep?”

Harry gave up within five seconds; twins, just like girls, had a language all their own and attempting to decipher it could be harmful to one’s sanity.

Soberly facing their lanky younger brother, who was now standing next to Harry, both replied with reservations, “You win.”







“Molly, the house looks wonderful!” Mr. Weasley complimented his wife upon his late arrival, greeting her with a peck on the cheek before sidling around to the other side of the table to join everyone for dinner.

Harry would have to agree, they did spruce it up for the holidays. He and Ron had gone out to the garden and gathered some evergreen boughs and fresh holly. Ginny and Mrs. Weasley arranged them beautifully. Tying red, tartan ribbons around them, making the garlands that now graced the mantle, table, and banister. Harry had been given the task of placing the paper chain, which the three of them had spent an hour putting together, around the tree. Thinking that it didn’t matter much, here and there would suffice, he was mistaken when Ginny directed him to move it to another location. She would shake her head yes or no as he held it at various heights on the tree until it was just right. Slightly annoyed, he realized when he stepped back to check out his handy work, she was right. Being the tallest, Ron placed the antique, blown glass star, to top off the tree, it shimmered brilliantly off the fairy lights. Fred and George’s ‘Instant Christmas-in-a-Box’ completed the spectacle. It’s snowflakes and baubles of green and red, covered the parlor and kitchen ceiling with extra Christmas flair.

“Fred, could you please pass the honey?” Harry asked across the table. Mrs. Weasley had prepared the traditional mugga, a thick wheat porridge that Harry wasn’t too fond of not matter how much honey, jam or cream he stirred into it.

“How was your day?” Mrs. Weasley asked, pouring her husband a glass of mulled wine to be passed around the table to him.

“Oh, the usual.” He sighed, unfolding his napkin and placing it on his lap. “More attacks, more people missing. It’s not getting any better.” Mr. Weasley took a long draft and added, “But let’s not talk about that, it’s Christmas.”

“Here, here.” Fred and George joined in.



Dinner was wonderful, Mrs. Weasley had prepared roasted beef, baked potatoes, butternut squash, and miniature minced pies accompanied by a wide variety of puddings. Filling his plate more than once, he and everyone else enjoyed the Christmas Eve feast.

After Mrs. Weasley had told them not to worry about the dishes until later, Harry and the Weasleys spent the later hours of the evening listening to the annual Wizarding Wireless Christmas programme that consisted of holiday music, celebrity interviews, and news. Fred, George, Ron and Harry played multiple games of Exploding Snap while Ginny danced with her father around the parlor to a lively Christmas jingle. Mrs. Weasley, finally putting down her knitting, cut in to dance with her husband when a slow, melodic carol was played. Harry watched Ginny pull her hair off her face, her cheeks flushed and slightly out of breath. Catching his gaze, she smiled back before returning to watch her parents dance. Forgetting that he was still playing against George, Harry scorched his eyebrows at the lapse of concentration.

After loosing three more rounds of Snap and failing to answer his riddle during a game of ‘The Old Grey Mare’, the consequence of which won him a hard punch in the shoulder from Fred, he followed Ginny into the kitchen to finally tackle the dishes.


Harry surveyed the scene from the end of the table, he had a hard time figuring out exactly how six people could have created such a mess. Various pans stacked in one corner, blistered with what remained of their former contents. Bowls encrusted with dried porridge, smears of puddings, and left over, half-eaten bits of potato’s and squash dotted what had once been white plates. It was a staggering amount of work, at least it seemed to be after such an enjoyable evening.


“That’ll keep you busy.” George smirked, shifting a large stack of plates on the counter next to Ginny to clear the way to pour himself a fresh glass of mulled wine.

“Are you offering to help?” Ginny asked, tying her mothers apron around her petite waist.

“I would, honestly...” George did his best to sound sincere, examining his free hand, “but I’m allergic to water, it makes my skin shrivel up and fall off.”

“I could do a lot worse if you don’t get out.” Ginny told him, tying the final knot behind her back.

“I know you could and would.” George took a quick sip, “You’ve learned from the best.” He smiled, passing Harry on the way of the kitchen.


Ginny, still at the counter, was trying to organize all the dishes, sliding the stack that George had moved to join with the others. Gathering all the glasses first, utensils, bowls and plates, followed by the real work, the pots and pans, she created an assembly line of sorts. Taking up his familiar station, Harry started to run the water and dispensed a fair amount of liquid soap into the basin, the suds reaching up past the rim by the time he had turned the spigot off. With Ginny humming by his side, arms bared and a dishtowel slung over her shoulder, they began.

Finished with the first glass, Harry carefully dipped it into the rinse and went back to wash out the next. It was no sooner that his hand left the hot water before Ginny would pluck it out and up onto the rack, her humming rose slightly as she waited for the next item.

Harry finished with the second, this time letting his hand linger on the glass. Waiting to see what she would do, secretly hoping that she would take it from him, but Ginny waited patiently for him to let go. Again, she snatched it up, humming the tune her parents had danced to earlier that evening with an added playfulness.

Not sure of what to make of this, Harry paused and looked directly at her, expecting to see Ginny looking right back at him. Instead, she was skimming the water with her finger, chasing left over suds in time with the melody like they were performing an odd ballet dance.

This continued through the rest of the glasses, plates, and bowls. Harry would try to keep up, slipping three or more items in at a time, only to have each one quickly removed. Somehow, Ginny had even found the time to dry and put a few items away. She was taunting him, she was challenging him- this was a game and she was winning.

Not one to accept defeat, Harry took up the implied offer. Having scrubbed a handful of forks, he would dangle them one at a time over the rinsewater, letting them go at sporadic intervals to catch Ginny off guard. Harry accidentally let one go while her hand was still reaching for the last one he had dropped, its tines hitting the back of her hand before falling into the water. Ginny shook it off and retrieved it off the bottom, giving Harry an unexpected bump from her hip with an extra ‘dmm-hum’ in the song.

Deciding that forks were dangerous enough and that knives were out of the question, he called the game off while they finished with the rest of the utensils, by going back to ‘work’ as usual.

Sizing up what was left of the lot and the foul condition in which the wash water had become, Harry pulled the plug and drew another basin full of hot, soapy water before hitting the pots and pans. He laughed aloud to himself as he looked down at his pruny fingertips while he waited for the sink to fill, thinking that George was right, maybe he too was allergic to water. Ginny eyed him as he laughed, he could tell that she knew what he was thinking, and by the looks of it, she wouldn’t let him getaway with it either.

He took on the toughest first; the thick, crusty layer of dried porridge that ringed the mugga pot. Harry pushed it into the water, letting it sit for just a few moments. He stretched and repositioned his sleeves, noticing that Ginny had begun to drum her fingers on the edge of the counter, showing the first signs of impatience at his delay. Humming a few out-of-tune notes himself, Harry grasped the scouring pad firmly and went to work.

The porridge was really caked on, he would have to use something else to get it off, wishing that he could just use ‘scourgify’ to get the job done. Harry needed something blunt ended and stiff to pry the crud off. Searching the table, he found it, the metal turner. Sliding the edge along inside rim, he took a hard swipe. The turner slipped off, sending a sizable shot of soapy water in Ginny’s direction. He heard her gasp in surprise, then gasping in his turn, he glanced up to see the damage.

Oh, no.’ Harry thought to himself, momentarily frozen with the turner still in hand and the other on the side of the pot. Ginny was soaked from the shoulders up. Her eyes closed tight, spotted with large clusters of little white bubbles and blowing off the excess water running down her face through pursed lips, she just stood there.

Realizing that he had better help her, he took the dishtowel off her damp shoulder and carefully began to dry her off. Folding the middle over his first two fingers, he started with her hair, following it down as it stuck to the side of her face, using the end of his soapy pinky to brush off the stands and tuck them behind her ear. Then he wiped across her freckled forehead and down to the tip of her nose. Harry held her chin, gently raising Ginny’s face upward toward his. Biting his lip, he softy dabbed off her right eye, following the arch of her eyebrow, before repeating on the left. When he had finished with both, he had again expected to see her looking back, but Ginny kept her eyes closed.

Not able to help himself, he studied her lips. Absently trailing the cloth down her cheek, he found his fingers moving closer to them. Reaching the corner of her mouth, Harry let towel fall from his hand and wiped away the remaining bubbles with his thumb along her bottom lip. Without another thought of what he was about to do, he closed his eyes and blindly, cautiously, lowered his lips towards hers on bated breath.

But before they reached their destination, a mere heartbeat away from the threshold of no return, his conscience brought him to a standstill. No matter how much he wanted to, no matter how close he came, he would not come between Dean and Ginny. What was more, he would not put Ginny in anymore danger than he already had; of dreams, of visions, by bonds, by prophecy, or by his-

Immediately he let go and stepped as far away from her as possible but still remained at the sink. Hoping that by some small miracle, Ginny did not know how close he had come and that with the knowledge she had after reading his letter, she would understand if she did. He could hear Ginny let out a soft sigh and from the corner of his eye, Harry saw her pick up a stack of bowls and put them away on the other side of the kitchen, clearly giving ample space between them and what almost happened. With his thoughts reined in, the mugga pot bore the brunt of his frustrations.







“Hey.” He turned to see Ron, in his pajamas, standing in the doorway. Harry noticed that his eyes went from him, to Ginny, and back again.

“I uh...” Harry fished for the turner at the bottom of the sink, hastily pulling it up out of the water before rounding back to face Ron to begin his explanation of what had happened.

“I just got a little wet is all.” Ginny closed the cupboard door and returned to the sink and Harry’s side.

“Really, it was an accident.” Harry shrugged with the turner still in hand.

“What did she do to you?” He jokingly questioned him, insinuating that somehow his sister deserved a good soaking. Ron strode over to the sideboard and took a tart off the serving tray, before leaning against the cabinet base taking a bite. “She didn’t, did she?”

“No.” Harry answered straight off, not really sure what Ron was referring to.

“Ron, I didn’t do anything.” Ginny said soberly, stooping down to pick the towel up off the floor. Harry noticed her gaze stayed on the cloth she now held in her hands, “Nothing happened.”

“Uh-huh.” Ron picked up another tart. “You almost done?”

“Yeah, just about.” Harry turned back around and rinsed the turner and the pot. “Just give me a second.”

“Sure,” Ron walked back to the door. “See you upstairs.”

Harry heard the familiar scrape of wood along the kitchen floor, Ginny had pulled a chair out from the table. Looking over his shoulder, he saw her head was bowed, still holding the towel in her lap. He retrieved a fresh one from the bottom drawer and dried what remain before putting them away, finally finishing the night’s work. Feeling like he couldn’t leave Ginny like this, not on Christmas Eve, he took a deep breath and walked over to where she sat. Standing there in front of her, Harry waited patiently for her to acknowledge him. When she did, he smiled and offered his hand. But before Ginny accepted, she took one last look at the towel and set in on the table, leaving it and what almost happened behind.
When It Comes Right Down To It by PatronyBologna
Chapter 18







When It Comes Right Down To It










Finally, it was Christmas. Nestled in his hollow and one of Mrs. Weasley’s thick, warm quilts pulled up around his ears, of which only his unruly hair stuck out from beneath it, Harry lay comfortably in his bed, feigning sleep as long as possible. He could hear the echoed greetings of ‘Happy Christmas’ as members of the Weasley family gathered in the parlor, three floors down. Ron had taken the liberty of opening his presents without waiting or waking him, before joining his family below. Harry continued to lie there until he was sure that Ron would not be coming back anytime soon, allowing him the privacy of opening his presents unaccompanied. Why he wanted it that way, Harry wasn’t sure, he was not expecting anything in particular, yet somehow wanted this Christmas morning, at least this much of it, to be his alone.

Peeling off the heavy layers of bedclothes, the cooler air of the attic took away what slumberous comfort he had left, Harry rolled over and sat up cross-legged, surveying the pile of gifts amassed at the foot of his bed. He remembered, not too long ago, a time when Christmas meant enduring a parade of magnificent, expensive gifts received by an expectant, unappreciative Dudley. It was a sharp contrast to the mismatched, broken bits of useless rubbish he had been given, albeit staunchly, by the Dursleys. The memory of which made him savor every gift that he’d received, no matter what the contents, given to him without any obligatory duty.

Right way, he plucked out Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s gift, the traditional jumper and a homemade treat wrapped inside green paper. This year’s color was a dark, woodsy brown with orange, green, and ivory flecks throughout, however, it did not include his initial or picture stitched into the front. Thinking more on the subject, it was probably because Mrs. Weasley had been too busy with more important matters than knitting. Seeking to regain some of the comfort he’d left, he slipped the jumper over his head and pulled it down over the tee-shirt he had slept in, all the while popping a large chunk of Mrs. Weasley’s fudge into his mouth.

Harry had received a wide variety of gifts this year. Hagrid was the most unusual so far, it was a large scale of some beast he had no doubt was very rare, and very, very deadly. Examining it in a beam of snowy white light from the window, it refracted a rainbow of colors off its black satin-like surface.

Fred and George gave him another vast assortment of their latest products, including a spritzing cylinder of their Dragons’ Breath, breath spray. Not having any idea of what type of occasion he could possibly use it for, he tucked in under his bed with the rest of the lot. In an amusing turn of events, Hermione had given him the exact same thing he had given her, Ever-Sharp Quills, with the exception of having his name etched into the side of the quill, and a Self-Refilling inkbottle. Chuckling to himself, he imagined what her reaction would be to his gift.

He was surprised to receive a gift from Luna, a years subscription to The Quibbler along with his first issue, the headline reading, Tea Kettles: Danger’s In The Mist. His best mate Ron, had given him a bottle of broom polish, which he was running out of, and an extra large box of Bernie Bott’s Beans featuring the new flavors, Gargoyle Goo and Totally Toe Jam. Not wanting to spoil the rich, sweet taste of fudge that lingered in his mouth, he opted to try it out later. Dobby, whose presents we always interesting, gave him a knot of shoelaces in various shades of brown, black, and dirty gray.

Three presents were all that remained of his pile, choosing the one he knew to be Dumbledore’s by it’s precise, crisply folded edges, Harry opened it with mixed anticipation. With relief and curiosity, he had been given an old, weathered-looking skeleton key. Picking it up out of its padded box, it glowed briefly. Not having a clue as to what it unlocked or of its significance, Harry turned it over in hope of discovering some discriminating marks. Unable to find any clues, he replaced it and conceded the fact that Dumbledore would probably tell him later.


Lupin’s gift was next, it consisted of an envelope, the outside was addressed to him in the same writing that grace the top of his Marauders Map. Harry flipped it over and ran his finger under the dark, blood red seal, carefully pulling the flap open to reveal the contents. Sliding the parchment out, he unfolded it; a smaller piece, frayed and yellowing, fell out onto his lap. Picking it up, he read the first.

Harry,

I’ve arranged to stop by later this morning, I have something to show you.

Until then, Happy Christmas.

R. J. Lupin

P.s. I came across this the other day and thought you might like it.




On queue, Harry opened the smaller note, it’s faded ink immediately caught his eye.



Moony,

She said yes.

Prongs



Not quite sure whether to smile or not, Harry knew exactly what it was. He read it over and over again, the same five words, taking in every crooked, imperfect letter his father had scratched out. ‘She said yes.’ Harry whispered to himself, imagining the excitement and joy in such a simple statement. Lupin had given him another treasure, one that was never meant to be at the time it was written, and no matter how upset he was a his guardian at the moment, he truly accepted his heartfelt gift. Wanting to keep it safe, he set it on his nightstand, away from everything else, to be put added to his album later. He had one gift left.

Perking up his ears, listening carefully for anyone who might be coming up stairs, Harry pulled the flat, rectangular package he knew was from Ginny towards him. He had no idea of what it could be, but when it came right to it, Harry knew that she had given him something special no matter what it was.

Harry pinched the paper at the corner, applying enough pressure to gently tear it back. Underneath was a wooden frame, carved along its inner edge was a simple, scroll design. A smile broke across his face when he saw the picture. There, in wizarding fashion, his picture self and Ginny were standing behind their birthday cake, in the garden of The Burrow. Jostling each other for the best position to blow the candles out, all 31 of them, before finally agreeing to do it together. When the last candle was extinguished, both waved back enthusiastically. His picture self, over eager with the waving, received a playfully push from Ginny, flashing that famous, mischievous Weasley smile. Harry had never seen this picture before, assuming that it was one that Bill took, he wondered how she got a hold of it. It was definitely one of his favorites and the only one of just Ginny and him. Watching the candles ignite again, magically resetting the picture, Harry lost himself remembering the happier moments of that summer day.

“Oi!”

“Wha?” George was sitting on Ron’s bed, he had become so good at apparating, that he did not make a sound, at least one loud enough to snap Harry out of his reverie.

“We’re waiting for you.” He nodded his head to the door. “We’re all starving... well, Ron says he is anyway.”

“Oh yeah, sure.”

“What’cha got there?” George reached out for the picture, taking it away from Harry. “Ginny gave you this, didn’t she?”

“Uh, yeah.” Harry wasn’t sure if he should say anything more.

“So this is what she and Bill were talking about.” George laughed, watching Harry get pushed off to the side of the picture by his little sister.

“You knew?”

“No, I saw that they were talking off by themselves right after that picture was taken... I knew from experience that they were planning something.” George handed the picture back to Harry.

“I’m sorry.” Harry uttered, taking the picture, his fathers note, and the key he’d received from Dumbledore.

“For what?” George asked.

“For what happened later that night.” Harry got up and stowed the items in his trunk.

“You know, I can’t tell you who to or not to invite to your own birthday party.” George chuckled. “Next time I’ll expect the rough crowd you like to chum with.”

Harry went back to his bed, gathering the rest of his gifts to be put away. “I’m still sorry.”

“Enough with the apologies already, besides... as you know, chic’s dig scars!”

“Do I have time to take a quick shower?” Harry asked, pulling out fresh clothes.

“Yeah, I’ll tell mum, Ginny’s lagging behind this morning too. Ron won’t thank you though.” He smiled and disappeared with a tiny ‘pop’.












Dressed in jeans and new jumper, Harry was greeted by a warm “Happy Christmas” when he entered the kitchen.

“Have a seat, have a seat.” Mrs. Weasley ushered him to the table.

“Happy Christmas.” He told her, catching an impatient look from Ron who was salivating over a large plate of fried ham.

Seated at his usual post was Mr. Weasley who said, “Good morning, Harry” from behind his Daily Prophet.

“Good morning, sir.” He told the paper.

Harry looked around the table, across from him sat Fred and George in matching jumpers of dark blue, the same blue as their store robes. Next to him was Ron, maroon as usual, and still drooling over breakfast, and on his side, an empty seat for Ginny.

“What is she doing anyway.” Ron, leaning back in his chair, looked expectantly upwards. “How long does it take, honestly.”

“Leave your sister alone.” Mrs. Weasley pulled out her chair and joined the rest of the family at the table. “She’ll be down in just a minute.”

Mrs. Weasley had barely finished before the door swung open and in walked Ginny. “Happy Christmas.”

Suddenly feeling nervous and an unexpected jump in temperature, Harry shot back down to his empty plate. He had only a glimpse of her, but from it was able to see that she was wearing them.

“Let’s eat.” Ron reached for the stack of ham he had been eyeing for the last five minutes.

Mr. Weasley emerged from his paper and the whole family tucked in.

“You look lovely, dear sister.” Fred echoed what Harry had been thinking, except for the sister part.

“Yes, dear, you do.” Mrs. Weasley agreed, admiring her daughter and the jumper she had made. “Does it fit alright?”

“Yes, mum, it’s perfect. Thank you.” Ginny answered and took a bite of her jellied toast.

“Your mother has done a wonderful job as usual.” Mr. Weasley said, surrounded by her handiwork and a new gray jumper of his own.

Feeling brave, Harry glanced down the table towards Ginny. She did look beautiful. Mrs. Weasley had chosen an earthy, forest green this year and it complimented her long, crimson hair. He noticed that she seemed to have an extra spark about her this morning, a smile that was hidden just beneath the surface.

“Get anything interesting, boys?” Mr. Weasley asked.

Ron, obviously much better tempered now that he had something in his stomach, replied, “Yeah, Harry got me a book of Quidditch plays... it covers the last hundred years. It should come in handy. Thank-you, Harry.”

“Sure, no problem.” Harry eeked out, barely swallowing his pumpkin juice. “Page 294 looks like it could be fun.”

“I’m excited to try a few of them out, maybe we could after breakfast...”

“Can we join in?” George asked hopefully.

“We haven’t flown in ages,” Fred followed.

“Sure, we can make a game of it.” Ron, excited by the opportunity, helped himself to another round out eggs and ham. “With Ginny and Harry, we should be able to get the gist of it.”

“Oh, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said, suddenly remembering something, “Remus said that he would be here at eleven.”

“Where are you going?” Ron lost a bit of his enthusiasm.

“Dunno.” Harry shrugged and finished with his breakfast.







When the serving plates were empty and their bellies full, breakfast was officially over. Ron and the twins had left for the Burrow’s homemade Quidditch pitch, making Harry and Ginny promise that they would join them later in the afternoon. Pushing up from the table, Harry readied himself to wash. Ginny, following his queue, started to gather the dirty dishes while Mrs. Weasley put what little remained away.

“Oh!” Mrs. Weasley gasped from behind Ginny, noticing her hair. “Those are beautiful.”

Harry, not wanting to be apart of the conversation, started to run the water. Curiosity, however, kept him listening.

“Here,” Ginny pulled the left comb out of her hair and handed it to her mother. Curiosity still getting the better of him, he watched Mrs. Weasley’s reaction.

She held the comb in her hand, its silver teeth contrasting against her palm. Like Harry had done before, she ran her fingers over the crown. The combs were dark silver, neither tarnished nor dull, but at the same time not overly brilliant, a sign of its age. The top was delicate looking, its millgrained edges lacing over the open filigree. Mounted in the center was a small, translucent, oval-shaped amber stone. “These look old.” she said in a hushed voice.

“I think so.” Ginny walked past Harry and delivered a stack of dishes on top of the counter, ready to be washed.

“Where ever did you get them?” Mrs. Weasley asked, handing it back to Ginny, who was still standing next to him.

Ginny took the comb and swept it up into her hair, securing all but a tiny wisp that fell next to her face. “They were a gift.”

“From someone special, no doubt?” Mrs. Weasley asked, wanting to know exactly who it was that had given her daughter such a lovely gift.

“Yeah, you could say that.” Ginny replied and scooted to the other side of Harry to start the rinse water.

Harry, having finished with the first of many glasses, set it into the filling basin, providing him a valid reason to look her way. Ginny winked and rolled the glass under the running water.

“Well, you’re a very lucky girl.” Mrs. Weasley magiked the table clean, there was sweetness in her voice that sounded to Harry like she was still prodding for the identity of the giver.

“Very lucky.” Ginny answered back, still keeping his anonymity. “Very lucky indeed.”












“Ready?” Lupin asked, moments after stepping through the front door and greeting the Weasley’s.

“Sure.” Harry grabbed his cloak and fastened it around his shoulders.

“We won’t be long.” Lupin told Arthur and Molly, pulling out a muggle pencil sharpener.

“Portkey?” Harry asked, it was the only logical reason for Lupin to be carrying one.

He nodded, and extended his hand and the sharpener to Harry. “We’ll be back shortly.”

“See ya.” Harry said, quickly glancing around the room of Weasley’s, ending his gaze on Ginny right before he took hold of the portkey and felt it’s familiar tug behind his navel.

Traveling by portkey was never fun, but he was getting used to it. Still looking at his feet, Harry recognized the dusty, fraying rug he was standing on. He was in the parlor of number 12 Grimmauld Place, the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, the Black family house... Sirius’ house.

Lupin, not saying anything, directed him to the sofa. Harry had a feeling that he wasn’t going to like what his guardian had to say, and by Lupin’s hesitance to sit down in the empty wing-backed chair, he didn’t want to say it either. Finally settled, albeit uncomfortably, Lupin began.

“Do you know why were here?” Lupin rested his elbows on the arms of the chair.

“No.” Harry shrugged, saying the first thing that came to mind. “Does Dumbledore need to see me?”

“No, just me.” He shook his head, “It’s my job.”

“You’re not going to get after me again for what Ginny and I did to Ron are you?” No matter how hard he tried to sound polite, his resentment forced its way through. “Because I-”

“Listen, Harry, I probably went about it all the wrong way. I was hoping to encourage you.”

“Encourage me?” Harry’s temper was rising. “Encourage me to what?”

“Ginny.” Lupin looked him straight in the face.

“Ginny?” He could feel his face flush hot, but it wasn’t because he mentioned her name.

“Yes, Harry, Ginny.”

“What does she have to do with anything?”

“Everything.” Harry could tell that Lupin was trying to keep him calm.

“Everything!” By now his raw emotions had made it to the top, surprising himself at how easy it was to let them go as they seemed to come out of no where. He bolted up off the couch and walk to the other side of the room, his back to Lupin. “Ginny doesn’t have anything to do with me, Voldemort, or the fact that I’m a walking dead man.”

“You can’t stop it, Harry,” Lupin’s voice remained calm and steady, “and you know it. You’ll be hurting more than just yourself if you continue.”

“What do you know?” Harry rounded on him, almost yelling.

“Enough.” This time there was a growl to his voice that caught Harry off guard. “Sit down and I’ll explain, but I won’t get into a shouting match with you.”

Anger pulsed through him as he stood there, staring down his father’s only remaining friend. He was angry at the man sitting in front of him, angry at being back in his dead Godfather’s house. Angry at Dumbledore for not keeping his parents safe, and harbored anger and absolute hatred towards the Dark Lord for making his life one nightmare after another. And when he came right down to it, Harry realized that it was not anger that had spurred on this sudden outburst, but fear and hopelessness.

Whether or not this is what Lupin had in mind this Christmas morning, Harry laid it all out in front of him. A strange relief washed over him as they talked, and Harry discovered things about the last of the Marauders that he didn’t know and surprised himself at what he had to say, giving a voice to his thoughts somehow made them valid and real. He was able to look at them differently, much like a pensive allowed one to examine memories.

“Well, now that we understand each other a little better, I suppose it’s time I tell you why we’re here.” Lupin smiled briefly, he too seemed relieved somewhat. “This house, Sirius’ house, and everything in it now belongs to you.”

“What?” Harry heard the words correctly, but didn’t want to comprehend their meaning. “No, it’s his.”

“And he bequeathed it to you, Harry.”

“All of it?” He asked.

“All of it.” Lupin confirmed, “Everything in this house, including a vault in Gringotts, and if magical law provides, Kreacher.”

“What if I don’t want it?” Harry asked, feeling like if he accepted it, somehow it would bring closure to Sirius’ life.

“You can deny it if you’d like, but then it would be left to the Malfoys.” Lupin shrugged, “If you rather it go to them...”

“No.” He answered firmly, “I’d rather keep it than to give it to them.”

“I expected that you would.” Lupin smiled softly. “Whatever you do with it is your own business. You can do nothing if you’d like, but Sirius wanted to help you as much as he could, even after he was gone.”

Speechless, Harry sat and tried to think of what to do next, Lupin giving him the time he needed.

“There’s nothing that has to be done now.” He finally offered. “Nothing will change without your permission.”

“Yeah, I think I need some time.” Harry shrugged, looking uncomfortably around the room. It was too hard to imagine that this house was now his, only wishing that he had his Godfather back instead.




“Dinner’s at three.” Mrs. Weasley waved Lupin off, “We’ll see in back, then.”

“I wouldn’t miss it, Molly.” Lupin smiled before disapperating.

“Did you have a good time, dear?” Mrs. Weasley turned her attention and affection on him.

“Yeah, it was good.” Harry smiled briefly, trying to look around her hug to find Ginny, but found Ron and the twins instead.









Harry had eaten so much that he thought he would explode, Mrs. Weasley had gone all out for the Christmas feast. Even Ron, who never seemed to stop eating, managed to stop at his third and fourth helpings. He was actually looking forward to the time he and Ginny would spend doing the dishes, it would give him time to let his stomach settle before trying a maneuver Ron picked out just for him.

“Don’t worry about them.” Mrs. Weasley said, carrying a loaded tea tray. “Go and have some fun while the weathers still good and before it gets dark.”

“But I thought we-“ Not thinking about what he was saying, Harry tried to argue with her to do the dishes.

“Oh, you two are not off the hook, mind you.” Mrs. Weasley eyed him, holding the door open with her backside, “They’ll be here waiting for the two of you when you get in.”

“Deal.” Ginny came up from behind him, pulling her gloves on and fastening them around her wrists, she was almost ready to go. “Come on, Harry, before she changes her mind.”

Ginny had spoken to him.

“Thanks.” He told Mrs. Weasley before she disappeared, joining her husband and Remus in the parlor.

“You’re welcome.” He heard as the door shut.

“Get your things and let’s go!” Ginny smiled, “You heard her, we haven’t got all day.”

Feeling suddenly better, he replied, “Race you around the pitch.”

“You’re on Potter.”


It was a good thing Harry had put on an extra jumper before he went outside, it might have been a bright, snowy Christmas day, but it was still bitter cold. Ron, the twins, and Ginny were already circling the make-do pitch above the grove when Harry had finally made it over.

“Get lost?” Ginny cheekily yelled over to him.

“Yep.” He shouted. “You know me, can’t find my way around a pitch if it was right in front of me.”

“And you let him stay on as Seeker?” Ginny yelled to Ron, who was hanging mid air, animatedly showing the twins what to do.

“Ha, ha.” Harry had joined Ginny in the air. “Very funny.”

“It’s the truth.” Ginny said seriously.

“I’ll show you the truth alright.” He said, bobbing slightly in the air, “We’ll see who wins our little match.”

“A bit over confident, aren’t you?” She looked at him pitifully, “The boy-who-lived mumbo jumbo has clearly gone to your head.”

“Believe what you will.” He dismissed her, meeting up with Ron and Fred who were watching George spiral and turn through the air.

Even though this wasn’t technically a Gryffindor practice, Ron treated it like it was. He put them through their paces, learned and developed new plays and when everything was said and done, Harry, Ginny, Ron, Fred and George were frozen solid and out of breath.

“We’ll have to try the blended four-spaded half twist tomorrow.” Ron, already devising future plans, led the way back to the house.

“He’s worse than Wood.” Fred nudged past Harry.

“Sorry, mate.” George brushed by his other side, blowing onto his frozen fingertips

“Hey.” Ginny fell in step with him.

“Hey.” He replied.

Ginny grabbed his arm and stopped. “Where are you going?”

Harry looked at her blankly, “What do-“

“I believe we have a race, Potter.” Ginny flicked her head back to the grove. “Or are you conceding.”

“To you?” Kicking himself that he had forgot, “Never.”

“On the count of three then, from here to the pitch, circling twice and then back here.” Ginny laid out the course and etched a line in the snow with the heel of her boot.

“I’ll be waiting for you.” Harry sighed and mounted his broom.

“We’ll see.” Ginny positioned herself, “One, two.... three!”

Harry thought for sure the Ginny had gotten a head start, but it didn’t matter now because he had caught up with her. He knew that his Firebolt could outstrip her late model Cleansweep in nothing flat, so he kept pace with her just to egg her on and make things interesting.

Ginny turned and looked at him, giving Harry a wicked smile before diving, disappearing into the trees below. Not sure of what she was doing, he held up and waited for her to pop up out of them. When she didn’t reappear immediately, Harry followed along the tree tops, trying to look through the bare and evergreen branches to find her. He had completed his first lap with still no sign of Ginny, getting worried, he flew lower inside the pitch, looking for a flash of red between the trunks.

“What’cha doing down there?” Ginny’s voiced yelled down to him. “Lost something?”

Harry looked upwards to see Ginny take off towards the Burrow and the finish line. Realizing that he had been duped, he sped off after her, only to lose by a length.

“Huh.” Ginny dismounted and shouldered her broom, slightly out of breath. “I thought you’d be tougher to beat then that.”

“What do you mean?” Harry shouldered his broom as well “You cheated.”

“I most certainly did not.” Ginny looked offended and made her way through the snow to the broom shed.

“You did too.” Harry followed behind. “You did that on purpose.”

“Did what?” She opened the door and leaned her broom against the inside wall with the others. “I never said that you had to stay above the pitch.”

“Uh-huh.” Harry reached pasted her and leaned his broom next to hers. He knew that Ron would have them out flying again this holiday whenever the weather allowed. “Next time I’ll make the rules.”

“Suit yourself.” Ginny teased, “Cold?”

“Freezing.” Harry replied, cupping his hands to his mouth.

“Here, I can fix that.” Ginny cast a warming spell on him and herself. “Better?”

“Much.” Harry smiled back, wanting to stay out longer and enjoy the pristine snow and the company of Miss. Weasley.

“Don’t tell mum.” She said, “I’ll end up with dish duty for the rest of my natural life.”

“That wouldn’t be so bad, would it?” Harry bit back a smile.

“Good, then you can fill in for me.” Ginny shut the door and locked it with her wand before tucking it away inside her heavy cloak.

“Miss Weasley, would you fancy a walk around the garden.” Harry offered her his arm. “It’s a lovely day.”

“It is a lovely day and I would gladly join you, Mr. Potter.” Ginny fluttered her eyes, stifling a giggle, and took hold of his arm and waited for him to lead the way.

“I really like the picture you gave me.” Harry thought that it was about time he thanked her as they crossed the yard.

“You do?” Ginny sighed relief, “I was hoping you wouldn’t be too mad that I had kept it from you.”

“Mad, nope. It was perfect.” Harry pushed the garden gate open against the snow, before leading her through it. “Bill on the other hand...”

“Whatever.” Ginny smiled, her nose and cheeks flushed red.

They followed the snow-capped rocks, marking the edge of the flowerbeds and where the garden path lay below. Ahead of them was untouched snow, beautiful and new. Behind them, a trail of footprints marked where they had been.

“I really like the combs you gave me.” Ginny whispered, looking anywhere other than Harry.

“You’re welcome.” He said, trying to hide his smile. “I just thought you could use them.”

“You don’t like my hair?” Ginny pulled at it, “It’s messy, I know- but yours is worse, Mr. Potter.”

“No, that’s not it.” Harry didn’t see this coming. “I love your hair.”

“You do?” She asked surprised, “Really?”

“Snarls and all.” He laughed, nudging into her side.

“Ha, ha.” Ginny mocked, “Really, why the combs then?”

“Well, you’re always tucking the loose strands behind your ear.” He shrugged.

“When do it do that?” She asked.

“All the time.” Harry watched a gnome scurry back through a hole in the wall, making little tracks in the snow. “When you’re studying, when you’re tired, when you’re nervous...”

“You seem to know a lot about my hair habits.” Ginny said playfully.

Harry kept silent as they walked alongside the back wall path, he had other things on his mind and was trying to find the best way to go about sharing it with her. Taking the initiative, Ginny pulled him to the left and towards the hollow entrance. Harry followed, still searching for the right words.

Once they had made it inside, Ginny let go and took a deep breath in the center of it, stretching out her arms and her face towards the orange tinted sky. Harry watched her spin around a few times before she stopped and looked directly at him, her breath swirling above her.

“You know that I’m okay with it.” She said, expecting Harry to know exactly what she was talking about.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked, still standing near the entrance. “I can’t ask you to.”

“You don’t have to.” Ginny sniffed, “You never have to.”

“I was afraid, Ginny.” He said, “I’m still afraid.”

“Harry, you’re not going to be alone.” Ginny’s eyes shined and she took a step closer to him, “The Order won’t leave you, Ron and Hermione won’t leave you, and I won’t leave you.”

“You know about the prophecy?” He asked, taking a single step towards her.

“Yes,” she said, inching closer. “You told me... well, I found out when we bonded.”

“Then you understand.” Harry stood still, “Why I didn’t want to reconnect or ‘invade’ your mind whether Dumbledore gave us his blessing or not, why I didn’t let you in.”

“You made that perfectly clear in your letter.” She took another step, “But that’s not the real reason, your using it as an excuse, I know that you would never hurt me.”

“It’s the truth.”

“It maybe part of it, but it’s definitely not the whole truth.” Ginny walked up to him, they were now face to face.

“You’re wrong.” Harry tried to back out of the corner she had pinned him in and looked away. “That’s not fair, Gin.”


“Not fair?” Ginny’s voice cracked.

Harry left her question unanswered.

“Nothings fair.” She sniffed again and inched even closer, “You have a chance, Harry. Don’t be too noble or too afraid to take it.”

Lupin had said the exact same thing to him this morning, but this time the words cut into him. Flinching from the sting of it, Harry blurted out, “I can’t because...”

“Look, when it comes right down to it, I- I care about you, Harry. You’re the one who matters most in the end.” Ginny’s expression was unyielding and firm. “I’m here if you need me, if you want me, but don’t think for one second that I’m safer because of it.” She said before stepping aside and back through the entrance, leaving him behind.


Ginny, wait.’ He thought, finally giving in and accepting what she had offered. ‘Please come back.’ and then he broke the Legillimens connection.
Feeling like he had blown it, that in is awkward way of trying to protect her and explain himself, he had only made matters worse. Kicking off the snow covered bench, all the while kicking himself, Harry plopped down and hung his head in frustration.

But before he could wallow in his mistakes, he felt her return. Looking up, he saw her duck the boxwood limb and hurry towards him. Standing up to meet her, he said, “You got the message?”

“Yeah, I got it.” She smiled back, and then on her tiptoes, kissed Harry’s cheek.

They stood there staring at each other for some time, communicating wordlessly, letting thoughts flow unimpeded between them. He realized that he was wrong to push her and the gifts they shared away. Ginny’s intentions, like they had always been, were selfless. She understood the bigger picture, the risks involved, all the while valuing Harry above herself. Lupin was right, they were better together than apart, he was better, and putting his fears aside, maybe he did have a chance, they would have a chance together. On a side note, buried deep inside his own thoughts, all he had to figure out was when Dean would get out of the picture, only then could he tell her how he really felt.

Harry held his arm out, Ginny accepted, and side by side they made their way back to the Burrow and the dishes that were waiting for them.

“Oh,” She broke the silence, jaunting up ahead of him, “It’s my turn to wash and Dean and I broke up over a month ago.”

Those last words left Harry standing in his tracks, he watched her as she slipped through the front door and out of sight. ‘A month ago? He flipped back in his mind and saw Ginny and Dean tucked away in the common room the night he was released from the hospital. “A month ago.”







Hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Lupin would chalk up his burning red face to the cold winter air, Harry quickly hung up his cloak and dashed up to his and Ron’s room, peeling off the multiple layers and tossing them on his bed.

“Everything okay?” Ron asked, looking up from his latest letter to what he assumed was Hermione.

“Yeah.” Flicking off his damp socks for a nice, warm pair.

“What’s your hurry?”

“Dishes.”

“Uh-huh.” Ron cocked his right eyebrow suspiciously.

“See ya.” And Harry left as fast as he could, avoiding any more ‘questionable’ looks from Ron.

Forcing himself not to run down the stairs, not wanting anymore attention, Harry slipped past Fred and George but was caught by Lupin.

“Happy Christmas?” He asked from across the room, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley turned and looked up to him.

“Yeah, Happy Christmas.” That was all that he had to say, Lupin understood that he and Ginny had worked it out. Feeling all eyes on him, he muttered something about ‘al ready started’ and left for the kitchen.

“You’re behind, Potter.” Ginny was busy washing at the sink.

“Sorry, I got delayed.” He joined her and fished out the dishes that were waiting for him in the sink.

“So...” Ginny slipped another plate into the rinse.

“So?”

“Is that what’s been stopping you?”

“Well, that and other things we’ve already covered.”

“Hmm.” Ginny scooted down the counter for the roasting pan, sliding it along the top. “Is that all?”

Not having an answer to her direct line of questioning, Harry just stood there, trying to keep his cool and figure out just where this conversation was heading. He watched as Ginny pushed the roaster into the wash, sending suds and water flying everywhere on impact.

“Oh,” She gasped, “Look at that.”

It was Harry’s turn to get soaked. “Ha, Ha.” He laughed dryly, removing his glasses and wiping his eyes.

“Here, let me help you.” That Weasley smile shone through as she moved in closer, grabbing the dishtowel off her shoulder.

In the spur of the moment, whether it was nerves or all together loss of thought, after all- he was a stupid git, Harry reached into the basin, scooped up a handful of rinsewater and proceeded to splash her with it.

“That’s better.” He laughed, watching Ginny recoil, blinking water out of her eyes while simultaneously throwing the towel at him that he easily swatted down.

She quickly recovered, scooping a pile of suds in her hand and lunging towards her target. Harry reached out just in time, pulling her hand down just before it connected with his face and tucked it in close to his side, bringing Ginny stumbling closer, almost running into him.

Ginny caught herself from falling completely into him, pushing off his shoulder for balance. He couldn’t help but laugh at her failed attempt, but suddenly stopped when he saw what was behind her eyes. She looked back at him, drenched and flushed, biting slightly on her lower lip. Whether it was coming from Ginny or himself, a shock wave of emotions flooded him. Slowly he reached down to her face and carefully tucked the loose stands, the ones he loved so much about her, back behind her ear, his palm lingering on her soft cheek. He let go his fears, not second-guessing himself a moment longer, and when it came right down to it, he did what he had been longing to do for quite sometime.

He kissed her.




“You want two?” Ron yelled back into the parlor from the kitchen door.

Promptly ending their first kiss, Harry and Ginny turned back to the sink in a blink of an eye like nothing ever happened.

“Hey.” Ron walked in, rummaging around the icebox for leftovers.

Both kept silent.

Finding what he needed, a loaded plate of mince pies and treacle tarts, Ron walked back to the sink and pulled three freshly washed glasses out of the rack.

“What happened to you two?” Glancing from Harry to Ginny, taking note of their damp appearance and the soapsuds that spotted their hair.

“Dishes” They replied in unison.
Write And Wrong by PatronyBologna
Chapter 19




Write and Wrong





“Hey, wake up!”

It was the first vaguely recognizable noise he had heard this morning. Harry had spent a good portion of the late night hours reliving the finer moments of a particularly happy Christmas.

“Go away, Ron.” He mumbled into his pillow, rolling over onto his stomach and pulling the quilt higher over his head in a feeble attempt to hide himself from further prodding.

Yet another unintelligible noise encouraged him to get up.

“No.” He groaned and buried his head underneath his pillow, but no sooner had Harry found refuge, he was struck upside the head.

Bracing for another attack, he propped himself up away from his assailant and used his forearm as a shield, blocking another blow. Reaching around, Harry grabbed hold of the pillow, jerked it free and blindly through it back over his shoulder. ‘Ron’s gonna pay for that.' He thought to himself. Harry knew that he connected with his intended target when he heard a ‘thud’ on the wood floor, what he wasn’t expecting was the ‘squeak’ that came next and a mind full of Ginny.

“Good morning to you too!” Ginny hoisted herself up off the floor, chucking the pillow back at Harry who was sitting up in bed, looking more disheveled than usual. “Is that how you treat-“

“What? You’re the one beating me before I even make it out of bed. You could have warned me, you know, a tap on the shoulder or…” Harry bit back, he was trying his best to be grumpy after having just been so rudely awakened, but was having a hard time keeping a straight face. As far as he was concerned, Ginny could chuck pillows at him every morning. “How do I treat my what?”

“Never mind.” Ginny scowled and fastened her hair back up into the comb.

“Where’s Ron?” Harry was forming a plan.

“Downstairs, probably writing Hermione again.” Ginny plopped down on her brothers unmade bed.

“Your mum and dad?”

“Downstairs too.” Ginny’s eyes rolled up to the left, mentally checking the last time she had seen them.

“Fred and George?” Harry asked the whereabouts of the last two Weasley family members who needed to be accounted for.

“Out.” Ginny shrugged, “At least I think so, it’s been quiet and the only way that happens is when their either scheming, in beginning stages of course... otherwise there would be explosions, foul odors, or some other tell-tale sign of them, or they’ve simply left the premise.”

“What time is it?” It had finally dawned on Harry that the sun was no longer streaming through the small attic window as it did every other morning, but higher overhead in the sky.

Ginny giggled, “Almost eleven thirty, come to think of it, mum’s probably in the kitchen fixing lunch.” Harry flipped the covers off and swung his legs around to the edge of the bed, one of his pant legs had rolled halfway up his calf, Ginny watched him as he leaned over to fix it. “What’s with all the questions?”

“Just checking.” He shrugged, stood up and edged towards the open door.

“For what?” Ginny gave him an odd look and followed him, poking her head around the jamb to get a look down the hall and the floors below.

Deciding that the coast was clear, Harry leaned over and pecked Ginny on the cheek. “For that.”

“Oh.” Ginny blushed, “for that.”

“Well, you asked how I uh....” Harry was stumbling on his own words, he had never asked Ginny anything, and was finding that right now, in the hall, in his pajamas, and suffering from a bad case of morning breath, wasn’t quite the time or place.

“I’ll see you downstairs.” She smiled and bounded down them, stopping briefly on the first landing to holler back, making sure that the whole house heard, “We’ve got dishes to do, Potter. Breakfast and lunch... lots and lots of dishes.”

Dishes was the new, unspoken password that meant he and Ginny would have some time alone, well, as much as they could be alone in a house full of people, and even that, as last night is was a prime example, had it’s risks. Harry shuffled back into the room, picked out fresh clothes and then shuffled his way down to the loo, all the while grateful that Ron, though he did interrupt them last night, was clueless that he had just kissed his sister. He had hoped that the rest of the Weasley family was just as clueless, in no way was he ready to invoke that wrath of six brothers and her parents, at least just not yet.

When he had finally made it downstairs, he found Ron laying on the couch with his legs kicked up over the arm, reading yet another letter. Harry thought to he’d give Ron a warning cough.

“Morning.”

“Oh, there you are.” Ron folded his letter, rolling onto his side to tuck it into his back pocket. “Nice to see you made it up before noon.”

“I was going for a record.” Harry stretched and yawned, “What’s the plan for today?”

Ron got up and headed for the kitchen. “Eat, fly, eat, fly some more, eat, lie around doing nothing... then eat and sleep. It’s a full day, we’ll be lucky to get it all done.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Harry laughed and pushed open the door.

The smell of food reminded him of exactly how hungry he was, Mrs. Weasley, anticipating his empty stomach, had already set out a plate for him and the rest of her children.

“Good afternoon.” Mrs. Weasley smiled, setting a large pitcher of pumpkin juice on the table. “Have a good lie in?”

“Yep, I woke up quite refreshed.” Harry shot a look at Ginny, who had taken the seat next to his.

“Fred, George, and Arthur should be here any moment, they just had a few errands to run.” Mrs. Weasley took her seat at the end of the table. “Have you heard from Hermione, Ron?”

“Yeah.” Ron did not divulge any more information than that.

“Did she say when she would be joining us?”

“New Years Eve day.” His answer was straight and to the point.

“Well, we’d love to have her sooner, wouldn’t we Ginny?” His mother took a sandwich off the serving plate and poured herself a glass. “Another girl in the house would be fun.”

“I don’t think she can get away early.” He said, Harry watched as Ron slunk lower into his chair, clearly disappointed by the subject. He knew that Ron had written to Hermione at least twice a day since they’ve returned to the Burrow and that she had written back just as many times, each letter had been sent or delivered by Hedwig with no sign of Pig, Ron’s exuberant owl.



Harry couldn’t wait until lunch was over and he and Ginny would have some time alone, however, much to his chagrin, it didn’t happen. After they had cleared the table, Mrs. Weasley magiked two extremely full baskets of clean laundry onto it and proceeded to start folding- by hand.

Ginny took up her position at the rinse side of the sink, and as usual, Harry washed. He found the he was better at the single task of washing than trying to manage the rest of it. They went about their business in silence, at least to Mrs. Weasley’s ears. He and Ginny were carrying on a full conversation of their own, mostly about Ginny’s method of waking people, although Ginny brought up her frustrations that her mother would not leave the room. Harry thought it best to stay out of that one. At one point, Ginny snorted aloud at her own plan to set off one of Fred and George’s fireworks. ‘It worked for Umbridge’.

Suddenly and most unexpectedly, Harry felt a sharp, single stab of pain. He took a quick breath and jerked his hand out of the water. No sooner had it begun, the pain stopped. Feeling that Ginny and Mrs. Weasley’s eyes were on him, he lowered his hand back into the water and resumed washing, thinking that if he acted like nothing happened, they’d forget about it. It was a long shot, he knew, but it was the only thing he could think of.

“Did you cut yourself?” Mrs. Weasley asked, dropping a half-folded pair of Mr. Weasley’s slacks on the table before hurrying over to the sink, stepping in between him and Ginny. “Here, let me see.”

Reluctantly, Harry pulled both of his hands out of the water and set them into hers. “See, I’m fine.”

“Hmm.” She looked them over, front to back, before letting go, deciding that they were indeed fine.

He looked to Ginny and shrugged it off, hoping that she wouldn’t question him.

“You know, it’s not wise to put sharp knives into the wash if you can’t see them.” Mrs. Weasley resumed to her laundry.

“We know Mum.” Ginny said, still eyeing Harry. “The knives are still on the counter.”

He had made it clear to Ginny that he didn’t want to talk about it, and blocked her from using their bond, feeling that it was the best thing to do for the moment. They continued on, this time with deafening silence.

“You know, you two are the slowest dishwashers I know.” Mrs. Weasley said.

“We’re professional’s, Mum.” Ginny answered smugly, surprising Harry, who assumed that she would be in a right foul state.

“Professionals now, are you?” Mrs. Weasley chuckled.

“Harry, you missed a spot.” Ginny took the last plate he had washed, which was perfectly clean by the way, and handed it back to him. “We’re thorough, not slow.”

“Oops, you’re right.” Harry was getting better at picking up on her cues. “Inspects every dish, she’s quite picky you know.” He added as an afterthought to Mrs. Weasley.

“My Ginny, picky?” She laughed, matching a pair of black socks. “Because I can recall on more than one occasion that little Ginny here, would run around the house in nothing but her knickers and her fathers socks, proclaiming that she was ready to go to town.”

Harry turned around to see her mother dangling pea green plaid socks in each hand and then back to Ginny who had gone flaming red and took a renewed interest in putting the now dry dishes away.

“I was three, Mum.” Ginny rolled her eyes and returned to the sink slightly less red.

Not paying her daughter any mind, Mrs. Weasley continued. “I would try to get her dressed, but by the time I would get Ron ready, keep the twins under control, pull Percy’s nose from his book- luckily Charlie and Bill were old enough to mind- anyway, she would have stripped back down to-“

“Mum, really!” Ginny groaned, but her mother kept on going much to Harry’s delight. He rather enjoyed hearing Mrs. Weasley recount moments from Ginny’s younger years, he found the thought of three year old Ginny running around practically starkers rather funny and would have to be sure to remind her of it.

“Oh!” Mrs. Weasley, evidently, was still able to hit that twitter he knew girls were capable of, having reached that point where you couldn’t get her to stop if you to. “And you should have seen the way she would come in, covered from head to toe in mud, sap in her hair from climbing trees... You would not believe how many times we would sit at this very table, trying every potion, spell, and lotion to remove it.” “--Mum! ”” Another futile attempt from her daughter that was ignored. “She would fuss and say that she’d rather live with the sap than to sit there any longer.”

“Mother!” Ginny was doing her best to sound polite, “Harry doesn’t want to hear about me, socks, mud, and tree sap. You’re boring him to death, honestly.”

Quite contrary to what Ginny thought, Harry wanted to hear more. He didn’t find it hard to believe, after all, he had seen her covered in mud and soaked to the bone on multiple occasions and found that he rather liked the look.

Mrs. Weasley continued on, despite Ginny’s pleas to stop, this time going on in length about the time she had found her hiding under the stairs in her knickers again, and with a quill in hand, marking lines up her arms, legs, and across her tummy and chest. Apparently, Fred and George had told her that it was a fun game that Muggles played and that Dad would be so happy to find out that she knew how to play too.

“Connect the dots?” Harry asked Ginny, fit to burst with laughter, “they told you to play connect the dots with your freckles?”

Laughing in return, Ginny replied, “Yeah, they did. But they got in so much trouble.”

“Yes, they did.” Mrs. Weasley finished up the laundry, laying the last jumper on the heaping basket before magically directing it and the second out the door. “And that was the last time they did that....” Mrs. Weasley turned back before leaving, shaking her head in amusement, “at least for a few days... should have known those two would convince Ron to do the same thing!”

Finally with some privacy, Harry leaned over and kissed her forehead, then her cheek, followed by her chin and her ear.

“What are you doing?” Ginny stepped back, clearly bewildered by his actions.

“Connecting the dots.” He smiled, then not wasting anymore time, snogged her properly before they could be interrupted.











Harry, Ron, and Ginny had spent the next couple of days lounging around the house, a snowstorm had rolled in and practice was out of the question. Mrs. Weasley refused to let them out flying unless she could see them, protective wards or not. So, time was filled playing the usual games of Exploding Snap, Chess, and even Gobstones. Ginny, always thinking, suggested on more than one occasion to play hide and seek like they had during their stay this summer. Only this time, Ginny had a knack of finding Harry first, which he had to reward her for her efforts.


Ron, Harry noticed, had become moodier by the letter whether he had received or written one, and his and Ginny’s attempts to lighten him up a bit went without success. Every time Hedwig could come back, Ron would snatch it away and retreat to his room or some other area of the house for some privacy. And every time, he’d return anxious and ill-tempered, but as much as he was concerned about Ron’s welfare and whatever problems he was having with Hermione, Harry was struggling with one of his own.









“I have some errands to run.” Mrs. Weasley hustled over to the pegboard, late the following the afternoon, and wrapped her cloak around her shoulders. “I won’t be long, you lot stay here and keep out of trouble.”

“Sure, Mum.” Ron called back, not taking his eyes off the chessboard. Harry, however, noticed that Mrs. Weasley seemed to be in a hurry to get to where ever it was she was going, and by catching the look on Ginny’s face, she was thinking the same thing too.

“Everything okay?” Ginny asked, looking up over her copy of Teen Witch.

“Oh, yes dear, everything is fine.” Mrs. Weasley pulled the collar out from around her neck. “I’ll be back in awhile.” And with that, she walked out the door.

Harry glanced back to Ginny who seemed less than pleased with her mother’s response.

“Hey, your turn.” Ron said, planning his next move.

“Oh yeah, sorry.” Harry turned his attention back to the game and half-heartedly pushed his last remaining pawn forward, sending it to it’s impending demise.

They continued on this way until there was a tap at the window.

“Hedwig’s here.” Ginny was the first to get up and let Harry’s snowy owl in.

She flew straight over to Ron, and dropped an envelope in his hands, then back out through the window.

“Where is she going?” Harry asked Ginny as she continued to watch out the window.

“Dad’s shed,” Ginny closed the sash, “I think she’s had enough.”

Harry got up off the floor and watched Ron hesitantly flip the letter over.

“Come on, Harry.” Ginny tossed him his cloak, “The snow’s let up a bit, let’s get some fresh air.”

“Yeah, sure.” Harry absently fastened it around his shoulders, all the while watching Ron.

“Yeah, okay.” Ron leaned back against the base of the chair, still looking at the letter.

“We’ll be back in a minute.” Harry eyed him once more before walking out the door behind Ginny.

When the door was shut and they had walked a few good paces away, Harry was the first to speak. “What do you think that’s about?”

“Dunno.” Ginny replied, taking hold of Harry’s arm.

“You don’t think they’re having a major row, do you?” He thought Ginny might have some answers.

“They’re always having some row or tiff.” She rolled her eyes, “That’s what Ron and Hermione do.”

“Humph” Harry responded, he wanted to believe that that it was all it was, but is gut was telling him something differently, what exactly, he couldn’t put his finger on.

They had made it to the garden gate, the snow had drifted so deep up against it that it was impossible to swing open, so Harry maneuvered over it first before helping Ginny, pulling her close to him as she hopped down off the rail. Taking the moment, while he had her so close, to kiss her again.

“So,” Ginny said as they resumed their walk. “Is it three or four times now?”

“What, that I’ve kissed you?” Harry pulled at a branch just above his head that was weighed down with snow and snapped it back, effectively dusting Ginny.

“Thanks, I needed that.” She said, brushing off her hair and shoulders. “And no, that’s not what I’m talking about.”

“More than four?” She asked again, this time with concern. It was enough that he now knew exactly what she was talking about.

“Three more, after Boxing Day.” Harry looked to the ground and sighed. “How did you know?”

“I know.” Ginny sounded slightly insulted, “Harry, I can tell when it happens. When you were playing chess with Ron the other day, you held your breath and shifted, the next time was at dinner when you ‘dropped’ your napkin on the floor. So when was the last?”

“Last night, in bed.” Harry admitted.

“What does He want?” She asked, stopping in her tracks and stepping around to face him.

“Nothing... I don’t know.” Harry shrugged, “It’s just... spikes. He’s happy and wants me to know it, he hadn’t tried anything until last night.”

“What did he do?” Ginny’s brown eyes were fixed on his.

“He tried to get in.” Harry nodded, “but I didn’t let him.”

“Why is he happy?” Ginny resumed to walk, tugging on Harry’s hand.

“Maybe all the attacks? There have been a lot of them lately, I suppose that’s why your Dad’s been busy.”

“And Mum’s a little stressed.” She added. “Something happened, that’s why she left in such a hurry and didn’t use the Floo.”

“I noticed that, too.”

“Maybe you should tell Lupin.” Ginny offered.

“Can’t, he’s a bit occupied at the moment, full moon and all.”

“Dumbledore?”

“Probably.” Harry thought more, “but it’s not like this is unexpected, it’s just started back up again.” This time it was Harry who stopped. “I’m sorry Gin, but I’m not sure what would happen if we were connected and I got... spiked.”

“I know.” Ginny reached up and kissed his cheek, “Always a gentleman.”

“You’re not mad?” He asked her.

“No, we’ve been through all that, I’m not mad and I completely understand.” Ginny again resumed to pull him along as she made her way to the hollow.

Ducking beneath the leafless and thorny rose vine, Harry sighed and let Ginny have her moment in the hollow, watching her brush the snow off the bench before taking a seat.

“We better get back, Ron will get suspicious and it’s starting to snow again.” Harry reminded her after five minutes.

“Get in here.” Brushed off the snow next to her. “We have to talk.”

Reluctantly, Harry did as he was told. “You’re Mum could be back at any moment.”

“Relax, Harry, we’re fine.” Ginny smiled, “We have a problem... well, I have a problem.”

“What’s that?” He had thought that they had already discussed the matter.

“I can’t let you keep snogging me.” She said matter-of-factly.

“What? Why?” Self-doubt crept in, maybe he was dreadful at kissing and she had been too polite to tell him before now. Feeling his stomach hit a new low, he waited for Ginny’s answer that never came.

“Uh...” Breaking the silence was easier at this point than keeping it. Looking towards the ground, too embarrassed to face her he said, “I’m horrible.”

“No, not at all.” Ginny giggled.

“Disgusting, repulsive, you would have a better time with the giant squid-“

“No, Harry.” Ginny took his hand, “It’s not that. I mean...”

Ginny went quiet.

Living up to his reputation of being a stupid git, Harry suddenly realized what she was trying to say as another one of her unfinished sentences popped into his mind.

“No, but I hope you don’t treat your boyfriends like that, or I’ll have to think twice about asking you to be my girlfriend.”

“Are you making it official?”

“Maybe.” Harry sighed loudly, getting up from the bench. “Like I said, I’ll have to think about it.”

He had been expecting her to say something cheeky in return as he turned to walk away, but that too never came. Harry had made it all the way to the entry and stopped just short of stepping through. “Ginny?”

Harry went back to the bench and stood in front of her, finding Ginny ignoring him and staring at the ground, the flecks of falling snow dotted her hair and cloak. “Gin?”

“Yeah, Harry.” Her demeanor had changed from playful to sullen.

“Gin, look at me.”

Slowly she raised her head to face him, he watched as the tiny snowflakes were caught on her eyelashes and brows.

“You can throw pillows at me whenever you’d like.” Harry pulled her up to him and loosely wrapped his arms around her petite waist, “You can shove a handful of suds in my face and call me a stupid git when I’m being one, which I need to hear it before I can go any further.”

Breaking the smile that Harry was hoping for, Ginny obliged him and whispered, “You’re a stupid git.”

“And remembering that I am, for the fifth time now, would you consider having this stupid git for a boyfriend even though he doesn’t deserve you?”

Harry never got a verbal answer and much preferred the non-verbal response. Ginny had thrown her arms around his neck and what followed after was all the confirmation he needed. And whether or not he had less talent than the squid, he returned with a non-verbal reply of his own.

“Ginevra Molly Weasley!”

Hearing Mrs. Weasleys voice crack through the silent falling snow was enough to make him and his new girlfriend, jump six feet apart.

“She’s back.” Ginny’s eyes popped wide open, she grabbed Harry’s hand and together they bolted out of the hollow and back towards the house to find Mrs. Weasley standing in the doorway with her arms folded tightly across her chest.


“Enjoy your walk?” She asked, eyeing Harry first before Ginny.

“Yeah.” Ginny answered, “I needed some fresh air, didn’t Ron tell you where we were?’

“Yes, your brother told me where the two of you were.” Mrs. Weasley’s expression didn’t match the tone of her voice. “It’s getting dark, and I need your help with dinner, Ginny.”

“Yes, Mum.” Ginny followed her through the door, winking back at Harry before she disappeared behind it.








It was a quiet evening at the Burrow, Mr. Weasley and the twins were still out at their respective places of employment and Mrs. Weasley was not expecting them back any time soon. Later that night, Harry pinned down Ron, trying to get him to tell him and Ginny exactly what it was that was bothering him over the last few days.

“Out with it, Ron.” Ginny flopped down onto couch next to her brother.

“Yeah, what’s wrong?” Harry asked, sitting down in front of the fire.

“You two.” Harry was surprised at how easily Ron had answered.

“Harry and I?” Ginny asked, nervously looking back at Harry.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Ron looked slightly hurt and disappointed.

“We’re sorry, Ron.” Harry looked up at his best mate, if this is how he felt about him dating his sister, then it was not good.

“I would have understood, I could have found another way, we still can.” Ron said dejectedly. “I think you’re making a mistake.”

“Huh?” Ginny asked, not following Ron.

“Hermione and I could have helped, you won’t have to worry so much, Harry.” Ron shrugged.

“What are you talking about?” Harry wanted to make sure that they were on the same topic, and what he was saying wasn’t making any sense.

Ron sat up straight and pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket, unfolded it and started to read to himself. Finding the right spot he then read it aloud.

“I can’t even begin to imagine what could happen if this bond got out of control, what it would do to you, what I could do to you. I would never forgive myself if anything ever happened to you.”

Harry felt his face drain of all color and Ginny, from what he could tell, was just as mortified by what they were hearing.

“It’s a gift I cannot accept, from you, Ron, Hermione, or anyone else.” Ron looked up at Harry and waited for a response.

Not having a clue as to where to start his explanation, Harry took a deep breath and jumped right in, hoping that when we came back up for air, everything would be cleared up.

“It’s okay, we worked it out. I talked it over with Lupin, then Ginny and I put the pieces together on Christmas. The only thing that’s stopping us now is the fact the Voldemort has been making his presence known and we don’t want him to find his way back to Ginny. We’ve decided to work on the Vita Potestas bond with Dumbledore when we get back to school and the Legilimency isn’t a problem at all. We can connect whenever we want, pretty much. I haven’t turned you and Hermione... I haven’t turned any of you down. I need all the help I can get, it just took me awhile to get it through my thick head.” Hoping that his hurried mess of words made sense, it was his turn to wait for Ron’s reaction.

“So you’re going through with it?” He asked.

“Yes, we are.” Ginny confirmed, “We’re going to try.”

Ron smiled briefly, “Does Mum and Dad know?”

“I’m sure Lupin told them, it’s only been a few days.” Harry shrugged, “They were in the room when he asked... well, he sort of asked and I sort of told them. It’s complicated. But I haven’t outright said anything about it.”

“What does Voldemort want?” Ron asked, jumping right to the point and looking unnerved.

“Oh, the usual.” Harry half-smiled, in no way did he find it funny but found that some humor was better than the hard bitter truth.

“He’s winning at the moment and feels that it’s best to rub it in.” Ginny sighed, relieved that Ron at least was aware of the whole, well, not quite whole situation.

“That’s it? He hasn’t been--”

“No, I stopped him.” Harry cut him off, immediately easing whatever questions or fears he had left.

“Where did you find that letter?” Ginny asked, “When?”

“Yesterday, on the floor in the loo.” Ron handed it back to Ginny. “I thought it was one of mine, sorry.”

Ginny took it back and tucked it safely away in her back pocket, which she decided wasn’t very safe in the first place since that’s where it was when she lost it.

“Well, better me then Mum, Dad, or even worse, Fred or George.” Ron leaned back into the couch. “Don’t you two have dishes to do?”

“Yeah, were waiting a bit.” Harry nodded towards the kitchen door.

“Mum’s on one.” Ginny whispered, being careful not to be overheard. “She’s been grumpy since she came back.”

“You know, you two need to be a little more careful. Did she catch you?” Ron smiled.

“Catch us?” Harry was trying his best to play dumb.

“Come on, Harry, I’m not that thick.” Ron smiled wickedly, laying out his hand. “So have you made it official yet?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact he has.” Ginny smiled, completely unfazed by the confession.

Harry looked to Ron, hoping that he was still smiling.

“Just remember I know where you sleep at night.” Ron furrowed his brow, “and I have four other brothers, well... five if you want to count Percy, but I’m not.”

“Ron!” Ginny smacked him on the shoulder.

“I’m betting that Mum knows too.” Ron laughed, “Hermione said that it’s a woman’s intuition.”

“Great.” Harry said dryly, suddenly finding that he and Ginny had been out-ed sooner than he had expected.

“And she’s probably told Dad.” Ron smiled again, enjoying Harry squirm.

“Yeah, well...” Harry hoarsely sputtered out, his mouth going completely dry. “Hermione.”

“Nope, no glory, sorry mate.” Ron was downright smug. “Thanks to that discrete ‘magical aide’ incident, we’re on the map.”

Admittedly having lost the battle, that Ron now had something to hold over his head, at least with what remaining family members they suspected of not knowing. Harry got up off the floor and excused himself to the kitchen where he found Mrs. Weasley sitting at the table with a cup of tea and a handkerchief in her hand. She gave a hearty sniff and quickly patted her cheeks as he crossed the room.

Not knowing what to do, he headed straight for the sink and got a glass of water and turned to head back out.

“Harry, could you have a seat please.” Mrs. Weasley slid out the chair next to her. “I have some news you need to hear.”

“Sure.” Harry slowly sat down, unsure of what to expect. ‘Was it Lupin, Dumbledore, McGonagall? His mind started racing through the what if’s.

“Mrs. Figg was attacked today. I believe you knew her.” Mrs. Weasley began, fidgeting with her handkerchief.

Harry could instantly recall the pungent smell of cabbage, the sound of her clanking string-bag as it dangled off her wrist, the sight of a half dozen or so odd cats lying around the parlor. Mr. Tibbles would be perched above his head atop the back of the sofa while she showed him one of the many albums memorializing every cat she had ever owned.

“Yeah, she lives two streets down from the Dursleys. She helped me after the Dementors attacked my cousin and I. Is she alright?”

Mrs. Weasley sniffed, Harry knew what was coming next. “No, Harry, she didn’t make it.”

He felt numb, someone else he had known was dead, and Voldemort was yet again the cause. ‘He’s been happy’.

“You’re Aunt and Uncle and their son are fine.” Mrs. Weasley continued, “They didn’t find them.”

“We’re they looking for them?” Harry asked, trying to make sense out of her death and why the she in particular was killed.

“No, Dumbledore doesn’t think that they were.” Mrs. Weasley sniffed again, “Lupin should have been the one to tell you this, but as you know he can’t right now. I’m sorry Harry.”

Mrs. Weasley took up her teacup and walked out of the kitchen, leaving him a moment to himself.

“What’s wrong?” Ginny asked, barging through the door with Ron on her heels a few moments after Mrs. Weasley had left.

“Mum’s been crying. What happened?” Ron looked to Harry for answers.

“She just told me why she left this afternoon.” Harry replied dully. “Mrs. Figg, the lady who lived next to my Aunt and Uncle all these years, well, the Death Eaters murdered her today.”

“Oh, Harry.” Ginny immediately hugged him.

Somewhat relieved, Ron, in his own way, tried to console him. “That’s what Voldemort was so pleased about.”

“It would make sense.” Ginny agreed, releasing Harry. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Harry shrugged, he was getting used to being numb.
















If there was one thing to be happy about, it was the fact that tonight was New Years Eve and Hermione would be here in a few hours. Ron, after having been on a roller coaster of moods, seemed to be on a high point from the moment he got up. Harry watched him as he tried on multiple jumpers. He’d pull one over his head, look down at himself and pull it off, only to pull the next one on.

“What are you doing?” Harry laughed after the fifth change.

“Trying to find...” Ron’s head popped through the neck hole, “Uh!”

“It’s Hermione, Ron.” He pulled on his sock. “She doesn’t care. She’s seen you in every one of those.”

“Whatever.” Ron blew him off and decided that this last jumper was good enough.

“You look fine.” Harry reassured him, thinking that it was better not to rib him anymore.

Ginny knocked briefly on their open door before walking through and planting herself next to Harry. “Good morning.”

Harry gave her a quick peck, “Good morning.”

“Oi !” Ron’s face bore a look of disgust. “Look, I don’t mind that you’re dating, I’m actually quite happy about it. But I refuse to put up with- with this!”

“What?” Ginny mocked her brother and snogged Harry full on the lips.

“That!” Ron pointed at them and cringed. “None- Of- That!”

“Sorry.” Harry was rather embarrassed, but he knew Ginny was making a point.

“Well, just so long as we’re on the same page, Harry and I don’t want to see any of ‘that’ from you and Hermione.”

“Agreed.” Ron looked away, still shaking the sight of Harry, Ginny, and ‘that’ out of his head.

“When does she get here?” Harry asked, a change of subject was sorely needed.

“Around two.” Ron ran his fingers through his hair.

“That late?” Ginny was disappointed.

“It’s not like she has a lot of choice in the matter. It’s been worked out with the Order.” Ron sighed. “Tonks is escorting her here.”

“Tonks?” Ginny cheered up, Harry figured that the girls had bonded during their day at Diagon Alley.

“Aaahhh!” Harry slapped his hands over his scar as he doubled over the edge of the bed.

“Harry?” Ginny grabbed his shoulders to help hold him up.

Ron had came to his aid and squatted down on his heels in front of him, watching his best mate regain his breath. “You alright?”

“Yeah.” He breathed out, slowly sitting back up.

He spiked you again, didn’t he?” Ginny asked.

He’s really happy.” Harry told them, gently fingering his scar, “Really happy.”

“What is it?” Ron asked, hoping for more information. “Is he planning something?”

“Probably, but I don’t know what.” He lowered his hand and looked to Ginny and Ron. “I’m okay, don’t worry. He wasn’t trying to stay.”

“You better tell Dumbledore.” Ron said, “He’ll want to know.”

“I know, later.” Harry stood up, showing the both of them that he was fine and that the moment had lapsed. Voldemort was teasing him, baiting him and he wasn’t going to bite. “How about breakfast?”

“Uh, yeah.” Ron fell in step, following Harry’s lead, “I’m always good to eat.”

“Come on, Ginny.” Harry pulled her off his bed and the three of them made they’re way downstairs to the kitchen, finding Mrs. Weasley waiting and breakfast ready.

“Your father and the twins have left already this morning, but I’ve kept everything warm.” She smiled tiredly.

“They’re keeping busy.” Ron said, watching for clues.

“Yes, they are.” Mrs. Weasley admitted, “Bill has come back early without Fleur, but I’m assuming that she’ll be along shortly.”

“When was he here?” Ginny asked, reaching for an apple quarter. Harry knew that she and Bill were quite close and would be disappointed if she couldn’t see him.

“He hasn’t been home yet, had business to attend to first.” Mrs. Weasley got up and started straightening the countertop. “I’m sure he’ll be here tonight, Ginny.”

Harry lifted an egg onto his plate and reached for a slice of toast. After this last spike, the lack of Weasley around the house that he knew to be in the Order, and the untimely and unfortunate murder of Mrs. Figg, his appetite was non-existent. He thought he should at least try to eat something or Mrs. Weasley would be on his case, and the last thing he wanted to do was to give her one more thing to worry about.

“Ron?” His mother asked from the sink, pointing out the window. “Ron, is that your owl?”

Ron dropped his fork mid bite and in one swift movement he was at the window throwing it open, waiting for the owl make it’s way closer.

Harry got up too, his heart pounding in his chest. He felt Ginny grab his hand as the little gray owl screeched through the window, circled the room and deliver it’s message to a very pale Ron.

“Shoo, shoo” Mrs. Weasley let the distressed owl back out the window.

Ron ripped open the letter, retrieved his wand and whispered a spell Harry had not heard before. Touching it to the parchment, his face fell even further, Harry didn’t have to be a Legilimens to know what it meant.


“Ron, what is it?” Mrs. Weasley came to her son’s side. “Is everything alright?”

Ron handed the letter straight across the table to Harry and Ginny, reaching out to take it, he read it’s contents with Ginny peering over his arm.



They’re here, watching, waiting, three. He was right.

Okay for now, send help.





Harry handed it back to Mrs. Weasley, who was demanding to know what all the fuss was about. They watched her read it, the lines etching deeper on her brow.

“Who was right?” She asked, switching into Order mode.

Harry had never seen this side of Molly Weasley before, he now knew where Ginny got her resilient and fierce determination.

“Malfoy, we think.” Ron let it drop.

“Malfoy!” Harry and Ginny echoed.

“What did that slimy piece of-“ Harry’s temper was rising fast. “What did he do!”

“He warned her.” Ron said. “Look, that’s not the point, I’ll explain later. Mum, she needs help.”

“Of course.” Mrs. Weasley snapped into action and left for the parlor and the fireplace, the three of them following close behind.

She knelt down next to the hearth and threw in a hand full of powder, “Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes.”

“Mum?” Fred’s head appeared through the green flame.

“Get your father, now.”

And with a quick nod, he was gone.




A/N: Okay, enough fluff to rot your teeth out (at least by my standards) but as the tagline of GOF says... 'Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry.' I've finished with most of the 'extra' projects I've been working on and (knock on wood) should be able to get back to writing more often, the point being that I'll be able to update sooner, which is a good thing... right? Up next, Eleven Fifty-Seven. As always, thanks much for your support!
Eleven Fifty-Seven by PatronyBologna
Chapter 20


Eleven Fifty-seven



“They’ll be here in a minute, Ron.” Mrs. Weasley got up off the hearth, stopping to wipe the black soot and the ashen residue of the floo powder, off her hands. “Just a minute.”

Ginny whipped around to the clock where Fred and George’s hands frantically spun from work to travel. “Look, they’re on their way.”

Ron glanced at Harry, he wore such an expression that it said it all. His eyes begging for any information he could get, his brow frustrated and determined to find any way to help her, and his heart breaking at the thought of losing her- not having the power to stop it. Harry just stood there, he too was thinking the same thing.

“Mum!” Ginny yelled, still staring at the clock, “George!”

No sooner had they looked up when the door flew open and George came surging in, still dress in his work robes of midnight blue and silver.

Crossing the room, he gripped his mother’s shoulders when he reached her, slightly out of breath, “What’s happened? Fred just said to come home.”

“It’s Hermione.” Ginny answered, joining Ron’s side, who had begun to ball his hands into fists.

“Hermione?” Fred asked Ron, “What?”

“They found her.” Ron cracked, his voice filling with anger. “They found her!”

The door flew open again and Mr. Weasley, followed by George, joined the charged atmosphere of the parlor.

“Dad, they’ve got Hermione.” Ron pleaded, stepping towards his father, “We need to go now!”

“How do you know?” Arthur asked quickly. “Are you sure, son?”

Mrs. Weasley handed her husband the parchment that started it all. Harry watched as Mr. Weasley, like his wife before him, took in the full meaning of Hermione’s brief but telling letter.

“Who?” He asked, handing the letter back to his wife.

“Malfoy.” Mr. Weasley’s eyes narrowed on his son as he spoke, studying his countenance. “Look, it doesn’t matter now, she matters, her family matters.”

“How do you know this isn’t a prank? A trap?” Mr. Weasley asked in all seriousness.

“I know.” Harry interrupted, all eyes rounding on him, looking further for an explanation. “We don’t have time to discuss it.” Harry was firm, “All the pieces fit, it’s true.”

“Voldemort?” George asked before the others could.

Harry slightly nodded his head in the affirmative.

“Dad, please, let’s just go.” Ron walked towards the door, “We’ve got to go.”

“You’re staying here.” Mrs. Weasley was short and pointed, enough so that Harry, Ginny, and for the moment Ron too, kept their places. “You three are staying here.”

“We’ll send word as soon as we hear anything.” Mr. Weasley, taking one last look between the three teenagers, silently telling them that he believed what was happening, he then briefly kissed his wife and hurried out the door with Fred and George.

“Be careful.” Mrs. Weasley whispered to herself as they watched them disapperate through the open door, leaving them behind. Harry felt as if he were merely a bystander, simply watching the gut-wrenching event unfold and the reality of it not sinking in.

“I can’t just stand here!” Ron yelled, the lack of not doing anything was cresting over. “I can’t, I won’t!”

“Ron, we can’t.” Ginny tried to calm him down and took hold of his arm while his face flushed from ghostly pale to heated red. “You know that.”

Completely flabbergasted by her comment, Ron burst out, “The bloody hell I can’t!” and pulled his arm out of Ginny’s grip and started for the door.

“Ron?” Harry snapped out of it and stepped in front of his best mate, blocking the way. “Ron!”

“Out of the way, Harry, or so help me...” He tried to push past him, his wand pulled out.

“Ronald!” Mrs. Weasley yelled, hoping to bring him back to his senses.

“Or you’ll what?” Harry pulled his wand as well, daring him to take it further, hoping that he would back down instead. If he wanted to, Ron could have pushed him out of the way with his size, but since he had taken measures further than just a shoving match, Harry had to be prepared to fight back and stand his ground.

“I need to go!” Ron snarled, his voice unlike anything Harry had ever heard before, progressing on Harry and the door.

“You need to stay here!” Harry raised his wand higher, matching it with Ron’s and meeting him eye to eye. “Help Hermione and stay here!”

“Don’t make me!” Ron edged even closer to Harry- to completely losing it, “Don’t make me do it!”

Harry wedged himself in the doorjamb, bracing for whatever Ron was going to do to him, preparing to throw up a shield charm and a stunning spell if he had to. He had never seen Ron like this, and never wished to see it again. Their eyes lock together, both equally determined to not let the other have his way.

“How can you just leave her?” Ron spat, the pain in his voice apparent through his anger, “You left for Sirius! You left to follow me! You left for Ginny!”

“You know exactly why we can’t.” Harry tried to sound as cool as possible. “They’ll get her, she’ll be back. They’ll be okay.”

Still standing next to the fireplace, watching the volley between what she considered her two sons, Mrs. Weasley said, “Ron, listen to Harry.”

Hoping that he had talked some sense into him, their eye contact broke. Ron lowered his wand and turned his back towards him to step away, retreating further into the parlor. But just as Harry lowered his own wand, he saw a flash of red, a flash of blue, and the next thing Harry was aware of, Ron was on the floor and Ginny was slowly advancing on her own brother.

“Ginevra!” Mrs. Weasley screamed, the entire scene happened within heartbeat. “What did you do to him?”

“I stunned him.” Ginny pocketed her wand and crouched down next to Ron, “It was for his own good, he tried to do the same to Harry,” She nudged her head towards the door where a small pock mark was smoldering on the wall a few inches off where Harry had been. “The only reason he missed was because I hit him.”

Harry, following Ginny’s example, put his wand down and knelt next to Ron’s stunned body that was now lying awkwardly on the floor. One of his legs was protruding out at an odd angle and his left arm had been pinned underneath his back. Harry picked the wand up out of Ron’s limp hand and handed it across to Ginny.

“You shouldn’t have.” Mrs. Weasley stood above her.

“What would you have had us do?” Ginny asked rhetorically, passing on Ron’s wand, “Let him go?”

“Of course not.” Mrs. Weasley sighed, “But-“

“He was going to curse, Harry, Mum!” Ginny glanced up at her mother, “He wanted Harry to think that he wasn’t going to do it.”

“But he’s your brother.” Mrs. Weasley was beside herself, “Your brother!”

“He’s wasn’t my brother.” Ginny contradicted her.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Harry broke in, trying to defuse an argument. “He wasn’t being himself. I can’t say that I wouldn’t have done the same thing, in fact I know... I’ve almost done it. He’s scared, we’re all scared, we don’t want to lose Hermione.”

“No, we don’t want to lose anyone.” Mrs. Weasley let out a deep sigh, gazing down again at Ron, “I suppose we should get him up on the couch.”

With that, Mrs. Weasley levitated Ron and directed him to the couch, then retreated to the kitchen to fetch what Harry could only guess to be a medi-potion. Ginny sat on the floor, leaning back against the couch, her arms propped up by her knees as her head hung low.

“I didn’t want to do that.” She said, still facing the floor.

“I didn’t want to either.” Harry admitted and slid across the floor to join her. “I want to go just as much as he does.” He turned to face Ginny and said very seriously, “If it was you...”

Ginny didn’t say anything, but finally turned her attention to Harry. Even without using their bond, he knew what she was feeling.

“Is he awake yet?” Mrs. Weasley rejoined them, carrying a small vial of opaque greenish-blue liquid.

“No.” Harry replied, turning around to check if Ron had moved in some small way, showing any sign of coming around.

“What did you hit him with?” Her mother asked.

“Stupify.” Ginny shrugged, “I guess I put a little too much into it.”

“Well, I suppose he’ll have a bit of a headache when he wakes up.” She leaned over the couch and lovingly brushed back the hair off of Ron’s forehead. “When he does, give him this. It’ll help keep him calm.”

“Where are you going?” Ginny shifted on the floor to question her mother.

“To see how things are.” Mrs. Weasley answered, still gazing at Ron. “I’ll be just a few minutes.”

“Thanks.” Harry muttered, watching her pull on her cloak and step over the threshold.

“Just keep an eye on him.” She smiled weakly back and closed the door behind her.

It was a few minutes before he or Ginny had said anything. Both thinking, both speculating of the news Mrs. Weasley would bring. Ron had started to stir, mumbling a few incoherent words and tossing his head.

“Stupify?” Harry asked Ginny.

“Yep, just that.” Ginny shrugged, picking at the small hole in her jeans above her knee.

“I need to put that on the list of things to watch out for, right under your infamous Bat-Bogey Hex.”

“I didn’t mean to flatten him with it.” She found the slightest bit of humor in the situation, “I just wanted to stun him for a minute, just enough to knock him back to reality.”

“Well, maybe it’s better this way. Give him more time to calm down.” Harry checked on Ron again, who had gone quiet.

“You haven’t felt anything, have you?” Hoping against her better judgement that maybe she missed something.

“No, afraid not.” Harry shook his head, “Maybe that’s a good thing.”

“I suppose.” She sighed and pushed herself up off the floor. “I’m getting a drink, want one?”

“Yeah.” Harry watched her into the kitchen before turning his attention to Ron who had started to moan again.

“You’d think he’d never been cursed before.” Ginny had returned with two steaming mugs moments later.

“I wish that were true.” Harry took the mug she offered him and smiled. “Hot chocolate.”

“Do you want something else?” Ginny reached out to take it back, but was refused by Harry who was taking a sip.

“No, it’s just that Lupin always says that chocolate makes you feel better.” He shrugged and sipped again while Ginny rejoined him on the floor. “But then you knew that, didn’t you.”

“Uh!” Both turned to see Ron lift his head and shoulders off the couch. “What did you do to me.”

“I did it,” Ginny piped up, taking full responsibility for the throbbing in Ron’s head. “and be glad I did.”

“How are you feeling?” Harry asked, watching Ron for any signs of becoming a flight risk. “How’s your head?”

“Swell.” Ron rubbed the back of it now that he was fully upright. “How long has it been? Where’s mum?”

“Ten minutes, maybe.” Harry said, still watching him closely.

“Mum went to see what’s going on, she’ll be back in a tick.” Ginny said, grabbing the vial their mother had left on the end table. “She said to drink this, it’ll help you head.”

Ron uncorked the vial and drank it in one quick swallow. “Nasty stuff.”

“Do you want some hot chocolate?” Ginny asked, “I might help too.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Harry had the feeling the Ron was merely playing along. Ron watched Ginny return to the kitchen and Harry watched Ron.

“What’s really going on?” Ron said with an edge. “Do you know?”

“No, I don’t.” Harry looked him straight in the eye, he thought that it would be better if he were asking the questions this time, “What’s the deal with Malfoy?”

“What did he do this time?” Ginny handed Ron his own mug from over the back of the couch.

Ron swirled the mug in his hands, took a deep breath and began with hesitation. “Hermione said that she had been receiving anonymous letters. Well, notes more like it. Cryptic, somewhat threatening notes.”

“What did they say?” Harry asked, trying not to jump into the accusatory position of ‘Why didn’t you tell me?’

“Oh, just stupid stuff.” Ron rubbed his forehead with his free hand. “One said ‘they’re watching’ others said ‘hide’ or ‘leave’.”

“So what did you tell her to do?” Ginny asked, she remained standing behind her brother. Harry could see that she kept one hand on her hip, conveniently close to her pocket and her wand.

“I told her it was probably a joke, a sick joke. I reminded her of the wards Dumbledore had put up.” Ron’s face stiffened as he put his mug on the end table. “I told her that she would be safe.”

Harry and Ginny watched helplessly; Ron had come undone. He leaned forward onto his knees and cradled his head in his hands, pressing his palms tightly over his eyes as his whole body shuttered. Believing, knowing that he was no longer a threat, Ginny sat next to him, wrapping her arm around him, leaning her head on his shoulder.

Taking a few moments to pull himself back together, Ron continued, “We didn’t know it was him until the last few notes. The writer used a name that only Malfoy has ever called her.”

“Mudblood.” Harry whispered, “Was he threatening her?”

“We thought so at first,” Ron said to the floor, “but Hermione seemed to think that it was his way of warning us, so that we’d know it was him.”

“Did he ever say when or where?” Harry was trying to put together all the clues that led up to this.

“No, like I said, they were short and cryptic.” Ron said.

“So how did Malfoy know?” Ginny asked, Harry knew that she too was filling in the blanks.

“His Dad.” Ron got back a hint of anger. “His Dad probably told him, he probably even asked him.”

“Then why would he warn Hermione?” Ginny was asking all the right questions. “Why tell her what’s coming if unless-“

“Unless he wanted us to know.” Harry slowly closed his eyes, imagining the scene between Voldemort and Lucius, the later using his son as a pawn to further his master’s plan of ridding himself of Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived. “It’s Sirius all over again. He wants to get to me and Draco told him how.”

“She thought of that too, you know.” Ron inhaled, steadying himself again for what he was about to say. “She trusts Dumbledore, she wanted to trust him... I told her no and I’d give anything to be wrong.”

Finding the right moment, Harry asked the one question he had been carrying, “So why didn’t you tell us, or at least someone that could help... Dumbledore, your Dad?”

“I did,” Ron finally looked up at him, “I told Dumbledore.”

Harry glanced at Ginny, surprised by his latest revelation.

“Then it’s okay,” Ginny said hopefully. “Dumbledore knows, he’s probably there right now.”

All three were quiet as her statement seeped in, ‘if Dumbledore knows, everything’s going to be okay.’

Ginny, breaking from her brother’s side, checked the family clock, her hope came crashing down at the sight of it. Hearing her barely audible gasp, both Harry and Ron turned to stare at the clock face. Fred, George, Bill, and Arthur’s hands were directly below ‘mortal danger’, which was to be expected, but what was even more unsettling, was that Molly’s hand had joined the fray.

“What is she doing there?” Ginny asked, they all continued to stare at the clock, waiting for it to move to ‘travel’.

“Harry?” A voice sounded from the doorway.

He whipped around to see a tall, slender man silhouetted inside the frame. “Professor?”

“Harry, we need to get you and Mister and Miss Weasley to safety.” Dumbledore motioned them to him.

“What’s going on?” Ron was the first speak, “Hermione, my family?”

“All in due time, however, right now I need your full and utmost attention, as time is in sort supply.” Dumbledore remained calm, but let the urgency of the situation be reflected in his voice. “Harry, with your permission of course, I would like to take the three of you to your... home.” He added with a wink.

“Yes, of course.” Harry immediately replied, Ron and Ginny were both lost as to where Harry’s home was, and that he indeed had a place he considered home besides the Burrow or Hogwarts.

“There’s no time to grab your things, just your wands.” The Headmaster said quietly, “Harry, you’ll need the key.”

The key?’ Harry thought for a split second before darting upstairs. When he reached the room he had been sharing with Ron, Harry went straight for his trunk and threw open the lid, he knew exactly where it was and pocketed it before he had even turned around to head back down to the parlor.














“Grimmauld?” Ginny whispered more to herself than anyone else, surveying the parlor where they had spent most of their time this summer.

Ron, not really impressed with the thought of where he was, immediately started to question Dumbledore who seemed to be expecting nothing less. “Is she safe?”

“At the moment, no.” Dumbledore looked over his spectacles, heading off Ron’s rebuttal, before he gravely continued. “However much danger Miss Granger is in at this moment, would have been nothing to what the three of you could have been.”

“Bait.” Harry said, the last few moments of the morning’s events falling into place as he paced back and forth in the parlor, like a caged lion, just behind Ginny and Ron.

“Precisely.” Dumbledore nodded curtly.

Without stopping, the rhythm of his steps helping his thoughts along, Harry began to share what was running through his mind. “He wanted the Order. Mrs. Figg... to get attention- distraction, to keep them busy. He knew I would be at the Burrow... If I had come for Hermione or stayed at the Burrow... He knows about the Weasley’s... the Order, that I would be left relatively alone... either way, he could have me.”
“Mum?” Ginny spun around and back to Dumbledore.

“She’s with Arthur. She’s knows, I told her what I have suspected and she will not be returning to the Burrow, at least not right away.” Dumbledore checked his pocket watch, of which only he could read.

“The wards?” Harry looked up, one of the many pieces of the puzzle he had not figure out yet. “Wouldn’t the wards have protected us?”

“To a point, but even the most complicated wards would not stop Tom from what he really wants. And to have you relatively alone, the odds were in his favor.”

“But-“ He was about to ask why this hadn’t happened before now, but thought the details were less important than the fact that Hermione, a good number of the Weasley’s and Order members, his friends, were in harms way.

“Stay here, don’t leave. The whereabouts of Grimmauld Place is still safe.” Dumbledore looked especially to Ron, who was still very distraught, “I’ll send word.”

Before heading out the door once again, Dumbledore briefly turned and caught Harry’s eye, following his gaze to his front jeans pocket and back. Harry nodded in confirmation and Dumbledore shut the door behind him.

Ron turned on the spot and unceremoniously plopped down on the sofa, looking slightly green. Ginny continued to stand in the middle of the room, her arms folded tightly across her chest, taking it all in now that there was a moment to do so.

Hoping that she was standing there like that because of the cold, Harry, not knowing what else to do, walked back over to the fireplace and began to rummage around the ashes for bits of unspent wood. He could feel Ginny watching him as he knelt down on the hearth, performing an exercise that he too, knew was futile, but it was something.

“Where do we get more wood?” Ginny knelt down beside him and poked a large blackened piece of firewood back towards the grate and the small pile Harry had managed to put together.

“I don’t know.” Harry muttered, searching the very back wall.

“The house-elves take care of the fires at Hogwarts.” Ginny shrugged and pulled herself out of the fireplace, sitting on her legs that were tucked below her.

“House-elves.” He whispered to himself as he rejoined Ginny, “House-elves.”

Whether it was against his better judgement or not, Harry called for the one house-elf he never wanted to see again. “Kreacher?”

Ginny looked at him and then back out into the parlor, expecting something to happen.

“Kreacher.”

There was a pop on the other side of him where the disgruntled house-elf, the Black family house-elf, stood looking sour faced and mutinous, the stench of his rags replacing the smell of burnt wood.

Not sure how to proceed, his dealings with other house-elves, namely Dobby, had been relatively easy, besides the effort needed to restrain him from self-inflicted abuse. Kreacher, however, was a completely different matter.

“We would like a fire.” Harry asked as politely as possible, he thought of what Hermione would think, the knot in his stomach that had temporarily eased, began to tighten again. “We would like a fire, Kreacher, please.”

The foul, crusty elf hesitated before snapping his fingers, all the while shooting daggers at his new owner.

Harry twisted around and saw that there was a small fire that looked to be on it’s way out, perched upon the grate, it’s small spiral of smoke wafting back into their faces and out into the room. Ginny looked to him, not knowing what to expect next, having no clue as to how he should proceed.

“Kreacher,” Harry used every ounce of patience he had, remembering that Dumbledore’s words of kindness, to treat him with kindness. “Kreacher, we would like a nice, warm fire.”

Again, the traitorous, seedy elf, having to obey the laws of his kind, snapped his fingers and bowed mockingly to Harry. “It is done, Master.” Snarling on the last word with great contempt.

“Thank you.” Harry said tartly, watching the elf’s steely, hate-filled eyes. Harry thought that he might as well ask for whatever else he needed and avoid anymore unpleasant dealings with the elf. “Please light the fires in the kitchen and the first few bedrooms.”

“Yes, Master.” The elf barely nodded his head before he disappeared with a ‘pop’.

Harry pushed himself up off the floor and reached down to help Ginny up. Pulling her to her feet, he directed her to the sofa beside Ron, who had remained a silent witness through the entire ordeal. All three sat there, motionless and quiet as the time slowly passed by, the filtered light through the windows began to darken as the sun arced further into the west.

Ron, he had noticed, kept staring at the large, heavily carved mantle clock, which had no longer been working, it’s black, sleek hands suspended above it’s golden face at eleven fifty-seven. Harry had thought that he was hoping time would speed up, that the hands would move, even by the slightest fractions, anything to mark the passing, just like the many occasions he himself had wished the same thing. Ginny, leaning against on her brother’s arm, would cast him a glance every now and then.

Suddenly there was a sharp swishing noise, a puff of golden smoke, and a piece of parchment fluttered to the ground. Harry instinctively snatched it up out of the air and read to himself, wise to the fact that it might not be a good idea to read it aloud.


Still waiting, a solution is being made. No harm done.


Ron had stood up and was standing over Harry, “A solution? No harm done?”

“She’s okay, Ron.” Ginny translated for him. “Nothings happened yet.”

“Dumbledore will figure it out.” Harry reassured them and himself, “He’ll figure it out.”

Ron returned to the sofa and returned to staring at the defunct clock, completely lost to anything else but his thoughts. Ginny again took up her spot of the sofa, Harry pulled up the wing-backed chair and watched them both intently. It wasn’t long before Ron’s head slid off his hand and down his collapsing arm, finally resting on the curved arm of the sofa, in restless sleep.

Making sure that he was truly asleep, Ginny carefully lifted herself up and nudged her head toward the kitchen. “He’ll be hungry when he wakes up.”

Agreeing more to the fact that it was something to do, he followed her out and down to the kitchen, careful to be as quiet as possible as not to disturb Ron.

“I think Mum put something else in that potion.” Ginny said as she rooted around the cupboards for food.

“Really?”

“Really.” Ginny replied, “She is a Weasley, a Prewett, but a Weasley. Who do you think Fred and George got it from?”

Harry smiled faintly and joined in her search.

“So, do you mind that I’m rummaging through your cupboard?” said Ginny, pushing past a large box of cracked barley.

“It’s Sirius’ cupboard, and no, I don’t mind.” Harry said, bending below the counter to peek at what was underneath it.

Getting right to the point, Ginny continued, “Dumbledore said ‘your house’, and Kreacher has to obey you, though it was obvious that he would rather not.”

“Sirius left it to me, but I only took it because if I didn’t, the Malfoy’s would have gotten it.” Harry stood back upright, holding a large pot and setting it on the counter. “Lupin said that he wanted to help me, but I don’t see what this... this place is good for.”

“Well, the Order still meets here, doesn’t it? And we are hiding here.” Ginny was being honest. “It might not have the best past- this house, the people who lived in it, but Sirius lived here too, and you loved him.”

“But he hated it here, you know that.” Harry said, skirting around the table to the dry cupboard, hoping that there were left over potatoes, squash, or something else they could prepare. He saw Ginny’s shadow lean against the doorframe.

“We lived here this summer.” She said quietly, “My Mum, Dad, Ron, Hermione... You and me.”

Struck by her insight, Harry stopped and stared at the edge of the shelf he was searching.

“I know there’s a fairly good chunk of me on the third floor,” She looked at her left forefinger and rubbed the top of it with her thumb, “where I caught my knuckle on a raised nail while scrubbing the floor.” Ginny ended with a small, fading laugh.

Harry smiled faintly, remembering all the hours Mrs. Weasley had kept them scrubbing, spraying, and sweeping the house from top to bottom.

“That’s got to count for something.” Ginny said quietly, almost pleading.

“It does.” He said and leaned over to kiss her gently.

“So did you find anything?” Ginny asked.

“There’s rice, a few potatoes...” Harry turned back into the dry cupboard.

“Here’s some, carrots?” Ginny held up a couple of long dirty orange spears, the tips were shriveled slightly and they leaned a bit to the side.

“Yeah, let’s call them carrots.” Harry raised his eyebrows at them.

“There’s some canned tomatoes, green beans, and corn in the cupboard.” Ginny added.

“Sounds like stew to me.” Harry grabbed a few potatoes, slipping past Ginny and the carrots, heading for the door and the kitchen sink where he began to wash and peel them.

“When did you find out?” Ginny asked, topping off the head and the withered ends of the carrots into the rubbish bin.

“Lupin told me on Christmas, this is where we went.” Harry said, as he rinsed off the potato he had finished peeling.

“I bet that was a surprise.” Ginny said, she pulled out a small butcher’s block and began to slice the carrots into bite size chunks.

“I think Lupin was more surprised at how the whole thing went.” Harry set two freshly peeled potatoes on the block and returned to the sink. “He wasn’t expecting me to yell at him.”

“What?” She let the handful of carrots drop into the large pot. “Why were you yelling at him?”

“You.” Harry sighed, “I thought he was going to get after me again for what we did to Hermione and Ron and I really wasn’t in the mood for it.”

Ginny kept quiet and let him continue.

“You two have a lot in common, you know.” He said with a slight chuckle, scooping up the peelings from the sink and depositing them in the bin. “Both of you always seem to know more than you should. Anyway, he explained why he had given us our punishment, the whole ‘no talking’ thing- you were right, he wanted us to use our bond. Anyway, we had a bit of a discussion about you, me, and what the consequences of the choices I had made were. ”

“How did it all turn out?” Ginny asked, even though she already knew the answer.

“I got myself a girlfriend.” He reached out in front of Ginny and took the towel off her shoulder to dry his hands. “Why don’t you go and check on Ron, I’ll finished the potatoes.”

“Yeah, sure.” Ginny smiled understandingly and left him at the counter.




The large lid to the stew pot trembled slightly as small bursts of steam escaped from underneath it. Ron had woken up a few hours later and despite Harry and Ginny’s attempts to distract him, he continued to stare blankly towards the fireplace and the frozen mantle clock.

Harry and Ginny pasted the time by readying Grimmauld Place for possible visitors. They pulled the dust cloths off of the furniture in the bedrooms where Kreacher had lit their fires, swept the floors and took out some of their frustrations on a few bed pillows that had gone flat since this summer.

“How much longer?” Ginny finally asked.

“It looks good to me.” Harry said, repositioning a rug he had moved out of the way for Ginny. Deciding that the rug was were it should be, he stood up and saw Ginny leaning on the broom handle and looking down at the darkened street below. “I’m sure that if something had gone wrong, we would have heard about it sooner.”

“I know, this waiting is just so... hard.” Ginny had turned back around to face him, clearly the stress was wearing on her as well.

In all, they had prepared five rooms by the time eleven o’clock had rolled around. Over the next half-hour, they had exhausted their efforts to get Ron to eat anything. He outright refused to eat or drink, which for Ron, it said that something was seriously wrong. Ginny had even pulled the ‘do it for Hermione’ card to no avail. Ron, just like the clock he had stared at so intently, had died. Momentarily giving up the fight, Harry and Ginny retreated to the small table and chairs in the entryway. Ginny had pulled back the velvet drape from the long, slender window just to the side of the front and both her, and Harry, positioned themselves so that it was easily in view at all times, waiting for any sign of those who were in harms way to return.

Harry had taken hold of Ginny’s hand and watched as his finger traced across the back of it, stopping at a crescent moon shaped scar just below her forefinger knuckle. “This is it, isn’t it?”

“Mmm.” Ginny breathed, watching Harry softly trace over it before continuing with his pattern.

“I hope this is the last scar you get.”

Ginny squeezed his hand that was holding hers, that was followed by a shallow gasp. Immediately, Harry rose to his feet and found himself peering through the window. There was one knock, followed by another.

“Are you going to get that?” Ginny too was on her feet, the color completely drained from her face.

Harry took a firm grip on the doorknob and opened the door to the unknown with a swift pull, the edge of it slamming up against the side of his foot, keeping it from fully opening.

There on the doorstep stood Dumbledore, looking tired but satisfied, to his right was Professor McGonagall whose demeanor was sullen, to his left was Moody, still prescribing to his own mantra of ‘constant vigilance’.

“May we come in, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, nodding his head slightly.

Harry stepped to the side and fully opened the door to allow them entrance. He backed away, rejoining Ginny, giving them ample room. With the light spilling from the open door, he noticed a few redheads bobbing into view as they climbed the front steps.

“Ron.” Harry said, noticing that he was still fixed on the sofa. “Ron.”

“Good evening, Harry, Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore said, briefly shaking his hand before slipping past and down the hall to the kitchen.

Moody and McGonagall continued as sentinels, both flanking either side of the door. Next in line was Mr. and Mrs. Weasley who appeared equally tired. They approached Harry and Ginny, giving them each a hug. Mr. Weasley seemed to have understood what Harry had wordlessly asked, giving him a nod before he too stepped aside to reveal the next entrants.

There in the doorway stood Mr. and Mrs. Granger whose faces of shock and disbelief bore a testament to Harry at just how odd, just how horrible the entire day had been for them. Not having ever been in their company for more than just a few minutes, which happened to be at Kings Cross at the end of term with the exception of the time they had been in Diagon Alley before the start of second year, Harry felt compelled to shake their hands. Ginny, being the exceptionally kind person she was, took no qualms about giving them both a robust Weasley hug. Harry again turned to look to Ron, who, even with the appearance of Mr. and Mrs. Granger, still did not move nor show any sign that he was aware of what was happening around him.

Finally, behind her parents, Hermione threw her arms around Harry’s neck and hugged him fiercely. She then turned to Ginny and they too exchanged a relieving hug. Harry looked her over while the two girls embraced. Hermione seemed to be without a scratch, if the only thing out of place was the fact that her hair seemed to be bushier and her face a little paler. When Hermione had turned her attention back to Harry, he nudged his head into the parlor.

“He hasn’t moved.” Harry had hoped that Hermione would be able to do what him and his sister could not.

Ginny took his hand and together they followed Hermione into the parlor. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and the Grangers had fell instep behind them. McGonagall stood in the hallway, Moody limping by, passing her on his way to the kitchen. Hermione stopped halfway there, in the middle of the room, gazing at Ron and then at what had his undivided attention. Its hands, Harry noticed, were still pointing at eleven fifty-seven.

“Ron?” Her voice shook, there was no hint of an answer.

“Ron?” Hermione’s voiced cracked under the strain, “Ron, it’s okay.”

As if being startled from a deep sleep, Ron jumped up off the sofa and closed the distance between he and Hermione. They just stared at each other, neither one of them saying anything, doing anything. Harry wondered if they were even breathing. Slowly, tentatively, as if he were about to touch something that wasn’t really there, Ron raised his hand and rested it on the side of her face. His eyes connecting with hers, taking a moment to accept that it was real, Ron threw his arms around her as she collapsed into him, both letting small sobs of relief escaping them as they sank to the floor. Ginny tightened her grip. It was a moment where no one dared to move or make a sound that might bring to an end to the reunion. Everyone was frozen except for the two people quietly sobbing in front of them.

’Harry’ Ginny had taken a chance and had made her way into his thoughts. ’Look.’

His eyes searched upward from his two best friends and stopped upon the face of the mantle clock, it was mere seconds away from midnight. The first strike sounded as Harry bewilderedly cast his gaze to Ginny, an odd mixture of astonishment, happiness, and hope flashed upon her as the third, fourth, and fifth strokes chimed.

Before the final stroke of midnight, Ginny had quietly pulled Harry out of the room and motioned everyone else to follow them into the kitchen, leaving Ron and Hermione time to collect themselves without the eyes of their parents upon them.

They entered to find Dumbledore in a hushed discussion at the table with Mad-Eye.

“We’ve made some stew.” Ginny said as she and Harry crossed the kitchen, “it’s not much, but we did what we could.”

Harry took hold of the pot and lifted it off the stove while Ginny placed a heavy iron trivet on the center of the table for him to set it on.

“Well, it smells lovely.” Mrs. Weasley broke the awkward silence, bringing back some normalcy and began to fish out a ladle and bowls from the cupboard.

“Please, have a seat, Mr. and Mrs. Granger.” Harry pulled out two chairs.

Seemingly glad for the offer, Hermione’s parents sat down at the table while Mrs. Weasley set a bowl and bread plate in front of them.

“Mum.” Ginny whispered, “We couldn’t find any bread.”

“No problem.” She smiled softly and magiked two round loaves of bread onto the countertop. “How about some tea?”

“Forgot.” Ginny sighed.

“Understandable.” Mrs. Weasley fetched the kettle from the same cupboard Harry retrieved the pot.

“Um, Professor?” Harry asked Dumbledore when it was obvious that he and Moody had finished their discussion, “Can I have a word, if you don’t mind.”

“Absolutely.” Dumbledore rose from his chair and followed Harry back out into the hall, around the banister, and up the staircase to the first bedroom of the second floor. It’s fire still crackling merrily, warming the room. Harry was able to steal a glance and Ron and Hermione, who were still on the floor in front of the fire, deeply involved in conversation.

“I uh...” He wasn’t sure how he should proceed and felt a little awkward that it was even up to him in the first place. “Ginny and I got a few of the rooms ready. We figured that, if everything came out alright, that the Grangers would need a place to stay.”

Dumbledore merely blinked in agreement, glancing down at Harry over his half-moon spectacles.

“Anyway, the Weasley’s... well, if its true that Voldemort was planning on attacking the Burrow, they’ll need a place to stay too.” Again, the Headmaster slowly closed his eyes.

“They can stay here, at Grimmauld, as long as they like.” Harry finished up.

“That is most kind and generous, Harry.” Dumbledore finally said, “I’m sure that the Grangers and the Weasley’s will be accepting your offer. However, it is you that needs to invite them to stay, I can only lead them to the door.”

“Alright.” Harry understood, he would have to do this himself. “Professor?”

“Yes, Harry.”

“What exactly happened?”

“It was as you suspected. Tom chose to attack the Grangers on the presumption that you would either leave to help defend her or that the Order would have left you alone, now that our number have sadly, been spread thin.”

“How did you get the Grangers and Hermione out?”

“It was mostly Miss Grangers doing.” Dumbledore dismissed the credit Harry had already given him. “She had performed a series of counter spells, reinforcing the wards I had already place, and by using a brilliant disillusioning charm on herself and her parents, we were able to work together to create a labyrinth of sorts to get them out undetected. Right out from under Tom’s nose if I may be so blunt.”

“He didn’t know you were there?”

“Oh, he knew.” Dumbledore continued, “That’s what took so long.”

“What about the Burrow?”

“I’ve just sent Moody to meet up with Misters Bill, Fred, and George Weasley to ascertain the safety of their home. Mister Bill Weasley, as you know, is quite an accomplished curse breaker and I have complete confidence in his abilities to discover anything that Tom or his Death Eaters have left behind.”

“Sir, what about Malfoy?” Harry changed his question when he saw Dumbledore’s brow furrow, “Draco Malfoy to be exact.”

“It is not up to me to tell you how to feel about Mr. Draco Malfoy, but I will tell you that it was at great personal risk that he informed Miss Granger, and thereby Mr. Ron Weasley, you and myself, that such a plan was in motion.” Dumbledore steadied his expression, “Draco is not his father’s son, he is his mothers.”

Believing that Dumbledore took too much stock by Draco’s actions, Harry dismissed the notion that Malfoy could be and proved today, to be an ally.

“Where is he now?” Harry asked a little sharply.

“Unfortunately, I do not know.” Dumbledore reflected. “Professor Snape has not reported in as of yet.”

“I have a lot of questions- we have a lot of questions, Ginny and I.”

“I expect that you would. Arthur tells me that you and his daughter have... made a connection.”

Blushing heavily he answered, “Yeah, we can use the Legillimency bond without any problems, eye contact or not. We’ve only stopped because Voldemort keeps... spiking me, if that makes sense.”

“Perfectly, and I must say that it is a wise decision to guard against him.” Dumbledore admired how much maturity his pupil had gained. “Am I to be assuming that the both of you will be meeting with me when you return to Hogwarts?”

Harry shook his head yes, he felt that whatever time they had alone was dwindling. “Can I ask one more question?”

“Anything you’d like.” Dumbledore replied.

“What does the key do? What does it open?” Harry pulled it from his pocket and showed it to him. “Why is it important?”

“Ah, I’m afraid that it would take longer to explain that what we currently have time for. But I can tell you this, Harry, if you will excuse the pun, it’s the key to your past, to your future,” Dumbledore lowered his voice and reached across to Harry’s shoulders, “and to Voldemorts undoing.”

The greatest wizard in the world stood fully upright, releasing Harry from his grip and tugged slightly on his long silver beard. “You and Ginny made the stew?”

With a half laugh, pocketing the key, Harry answered, “Yeah.”

“Good, I’ve heard about your talents in the kitchen and am looking forward to finally experiencing it.” Dumbledore opened the door and let Harry pass through.


On the way back down to the kitchen, Ron and Hermione stopped Harry, calling over for him to join them.

“Just a minute.” Harry waved them off, glad to see that they were both ready to talk. “I have to do something first.” He said before disappearing back into the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley was busy ushering Dumbledore to his seat and serving him a bowl of stew. Mr. Granger was speaking with Mr. Weasley, buttering a slice of bread, while Mrs. Granger, pursed a steaming spoonful of stew. Ginny had pulled a chair next to her out from the table.

“Um.” Harry barely said at the head of the table, half-heartedly trying to get their attention. “Uh, Mr. and Mrs. Granger?”

The adults in the room, except for Dumbledore, looked expectantly at him, further making his raw nerves twitch. To think that with all that had happened today, yesterday officially, that he was nervous at what he was about to ask.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger, I’m so sorry that you and your daughter have been put in danger.” He took a big breath and plowed on, all the while trying to do Sirius justice. “You cannot go home for the time being, for that again, I’m sorry.”

Mrs. Granger set her spoon back in the bowl, not eating what she had carefully cooled, and looked to Harry with a tired, sadden expression. Mr. Granger, however, received an encouraging nod from Mr. Weasley.

“I just want you to know that you’re welcome to stay here at Grimmauld Place as long as you like, as long as it takes to make sure that you will be safe.” Not sure that he had been heard properly, he continued. “Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, the offer stands with you as well.”

“Harry-” Mrs. Weasley dabbed at her eyes with the cuff of her sweater.

“We would love to.” Mr. Weasley finished for his wife. “Just until the Burrow is safe again, and then we will not intrude on you anymore.”

“Intrude?” Harry felt a bit embarrassed, he had intruded upon the Weasley’s for so many summers, so many holidays now that he felt that to stay in a house that was ill gotten through the death of his Godfather was anything but an intrusion. “Trust me, it’s the very least I could do.”

Ginny smiled up at him.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger, I know that this is all very confusing, it’s even harder to explain, but I know Hermione would feel better, I would feel better... we all would feel better if we knew you were safe.”

The room was quiet except for the occasional sniff from Mrs. Weasley, while he waited for their answer. Harry, unsure of their response, looked to Ginny for approval and comfort.

“Okay.” Mr. Granger spoke very softly, “Okay.”

Harry acknowledged his answer and breathed a sigh of relief. “Good. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, would you mind helping them out.”

“Of course not.” Mr. Weasley smiled at Harry before addressing Mr. Granger, “It’ll be a good chance to get to know you and your wife better. Sad though that it takes something life threatening....”

Harry let out another sigh of relief and took a slice of bread off his plate that Ginny had already buttered for him. “Come on, Ron and Hermione want to talk.” He whispered to her, trying to slip out unnoticed now that the Weasley’s, the Granger’s, and Dumbledore were making plans for their temporary stay.

“Harry.” Hermione smiled, “Ginny.”

Harry sat on the hearthrug and pulled Ginny down to sit just to the side of his legs so that she could lean against his propped knee.

“Some day.” Harry said lightly, having enough of seriousness. “Dumbledore told me that you did some very impressive spellwork this afternoon.”

“No, not really.” Hermione, whose eyes still fresh from tears, leaned into Ron’s shoulder.

“If Dumbledore was impressed, than it must have been amazing.” Ron said into her hair.
“I’m sorry, Harry... Ginny.”

“For what?” Harry shrugged.

Ron merely looked to Ginny and Harry, they all knew that it was enough.

“Oh, our parents are staying here.” Ginny added, breaking the momentary silence. “That should be interesting.”

“What?” Hermione asked, completely unaware of what had happened in the kitchen.

“Harry’s invited them to stay as long as it’s necessary, until the danger’s pasted.” Ginny smiled proudly.

“Harry?” Hermione questioned him, sitting up from Ron’s shoulder.

“Well, they can’t go back now, can they?” Harry absently grabbed Ginny’s hand again, “So they can stay here. Sirius would have done it anyway.”

“Thank you, Harry.” Hermione’s sincerity was palatable, they let it linger through the single reverberating strike.

“When did that start working?” Ron asked, glancing at the clock whose hands now read one o’clock. “I thought it was dead.”





A/N: I am so very, very sorry that I’ve left this story hanging for the last month. I’ve had an unexpected ‘vacation’, which for the money, it should have been someplace warm... with a beach... and those really expensive white fluffy robes and matching slippers. (I suppose I got the robe, if you discount the fact that my backside, in all its glory, was left to the breeze.) Anyway, life’s on track, priorities are being rearranged and set, and I’m back... for better or worse. (I do have to keep my hobbies, you know!)

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays ~Patrony :)


Seeds by PatronyBologna
Chapter 21




Seeds




He slipped his loosened tie off from around his neck and lifted his school jumper over his head, exhaling deeply as his arms dropped back down to his side. Glancing quickly around the room, only lit by what little firelight had escaped through the grill of the potbellied stove, Harry saw the sleeping figures of his bunkmates, who were completely unaware of his late arrival. He tossed the inside-out jumper onto his trunk and while unbuckling his belt, pried off his trainers with his toes. He let his trousers lay where they fell, pulled back the thick bedcovers of his four-poster and took a seat on the edge of the bed. It was almost too much to effort to raise his ankle to his knee, one at a time, to remove his socks. Taking off his glasses and setting them in their usual spot on the night table, he rubbed his brow briefly and slightly shook his head of remaining thoughts before reaching up and pulling his bed hangings closed. Stretching out fully, he rolled over onto his stomach, and like a dog before it settles in for the night, nestled down into his familiar hollow in the mattress.

The rain continued to lash at the tall windows, bouncing off the pane and the stone of the tower. Listening to its sporadic rhythm, directed by gusts of wind, Harry closed his eyes. A faint smile drifted momentarily on his face, Ginny had said ‘Goodnight’ in a way only they could.

It was good to be back at Hogwarts, with everything that had happened over the holidays, it was a welcome respite, at least the first few hours of it were. The professors had no qualms about putting the student’s back to work. The weather cooperated, going from blizzards to constant rain within a matter of weeks with no variation in-between. The sun was something that just wasn’t seen. Therefore, assignments were long and arduous and the students’ collective mood matched the dark, rain-laden sky.


Harry and Ron actually applied themselves during personal study period and were grateful for the allotted time. Their counter parts, Ginny and Hermione, looked worse for the wear. Hermione was starting to feel the pressure of all of her N.E.W.T. classes. With her experience over the holiday, she took her thirst for knowledge to a new level, both Harry and Ron thought that such a thing wasn’t possible. She had told them, during the first breakfast back that she did not want to be in a position she couldn’t get herself out of. Ron consoled her saying that there was nothing more she could have done and what she did do, impressed the greatest wizard alive, but he still found himself helping her sift through the library nonetheless, anything to make her feel better.


January bled into February without much notice. Quidditch practices were miserable. It was alright to fly in the occasional deluge, Harry often felt more alive when he battled against the elements. Somehow getting soaked to the bone and still being able to catch the ever-elusive Snitch gave him a feeling of a well-deserved victory. The chasers, however, were having a rough go of it. The Quaffle would slip from their grip and the Bludgers were hard to distinguish against the steel gray backdrop. By the third such practice session, Ron had called it short. If anything, Harry agreed with the captain, the other teams wouldn’t be practicing either. So with Quidditch on hold, expect for the occasional planning session that would spontaneously be held at the Gryffindor table between bites, Harry had hoped to have gained more time with Ginny, but that was not the case.

They had kept their newfound relationship quiet, doing nothing more than what they had always done. It was only during those few instances of complete privacy, that Harry felt comfortable enough for anything else. Ron and Hermione seemed to follow the same self-imposed guidelines. Valentines, however, was the exception. The boys treated girls to the evening by the fire in the common room during the dinner hour. Harry had arranged to have Dobby set a proper table for the four of them and to have each of their favorite dishes brought up. Before Hermione could voice her disapproval, both Ron and Harry paid him for his trouble; a sickle, knut, last years maroon jumper, and a new pair of tube socks with matching maroon stripes on the rib.

With dinner finished and the dessert plates empty, they retired to their familiar places on the sofa and side chair, and waited for the tide of returning students to rise and ebb away. It was only then that Harry and Ron gave their respective girlfriends a gift. Harry had written Ginny a poem reminiscent of the one she had written for him during her first year and Professor Lockhart’s floundering idea of a student body pick-me-up. It wasn’t much, but Ginny appreciated the sentiment that he had remembered, albeit to her slight embarrassment.

Apparently, Ron had done a bang up job on Hermione’s card, the three of them watched her sit stock-still, the half-opened card in her lap, and an unreadable expression that leaned more towards the perplexed side of things. However, the collective breath was released when she turned and lunged at Ron, wrapping herself tightly around his neck.

“I take it you didn’t like yours that much?” Harry whispered to Ginny, whose legs were draped across his lap as she leaned against the arm of the sofa.

“Of course I did.” She smiled, then checked to see that a mess of bushy brown hair had safely blinded her bother before proceeding to thank him properly for it.






Harry and Ginny were well into their lessons with Dumbledore. At first they met only once a week, but with progress being made on the Vitas Potestas bond, both wanted to push forward. Like a steady, distant drum beat carried on the wind, the mutual feeling that the time when they would need to use it, was quickening it’s pace. With a few minor adjustments, Harry could perform basic spells with such precision and power that Dumbledore would let slip a smile of approval and Ginny proved that she was just a formidable. He was learning to feel ‘the glass’ as Ginny had originally put it, able to determine and gauge how to transfer the magic back and forth without any harm to the both of them.


Tonight, after one such lesson, the two of them stayed together in the common room, failing to notice the early hours of the new day. The conversation that had taken place was not for the faint of heart. Unable to ignore the rising attacks, Voldemort’s blatant strikes against the ones he loved and care for, Harry had started to plan his offensive. And by the time they climbed their separate staircases, the only thing that had been decided upon was that he was going to need all the help he could get.





“Oh no.” Harry could hear Neville moan through the velvet curtains of his four-poster, followed by the distinguished creaking noise of a large, leather-bound book being opened and it’s pages flipped through at a rapid pace.

He continued to lie in bed, his body not wanting to be moved from the comfort, trying to figure out what exactly it was that had Neville bothered. After a few minutes of very light sleep, deciding that sooner or later he would have to get up and trying to delay it would make it worse, Harry cracked his eyes open just as the thud of the book being rather hastily closed reached his ears.

“Hey, Neville.” Harry’s voice muffled out from behind the bed hangings.

“’Morning.”

Finally giving it up, Harry let in the rest of the world, or at least the rest of his dorm. He reached for his glasses and then addressed Neville who was looking rather bleak.

“Something wrong?”

“Don’t know.” He shrugged, looking down at the expansive text in his lap as if it had wronged him somehow.

“Anything I can do?” Harry offered, pushing off the bedclothes and swinging his legs around to the other side.

“No, not unless you’re a Herbology expert.”

“I’m afraid that you’re the most qualified in the room.” Harry said, digging through his trunk for a fresh set of clothes.

“Look at it.” Neville set the tome on the nightstand.

Peeking over the lid, he saw what Neville had wanted him to see. Knowing that now was not the time to express his indifferent and potentially unfavorable opinion on the matter he asked, “Is something wrong with it. It doesn’t look so good.”

“That’s just it, I don’t know.” Neville slowly revolved the pot, examining it closely with every fraction it turned. Harry had thought to himself that it looked just as unpleasant as ever, but humored him anyway.

“See this bump, it’s new.” Neville pointed to the main trunk of the Mimbulus Mimbletonia. “And see how its lost volume... it looks like it shriveling, but I’ve watered it properly. See?”

Harry shuffled over, the toes of his bare feet curled up in retreat against the cold stone floor. He bent lower and followed Neville’s finger, careful to keep his nose a safe distance away. “There?”

“Yeah, right there.”

“The darker green spot?” He asked, not really noticing much of a difference. He wasn’t about to prod it, he had already learned that lesson on the train before fifth year.

“So you see it too?” Neville needed conformation.

“Uh, yeah, I think so.” Harry honestly replied, “I haven’t spent much time looking at it, but it does seem new, now that you mention it.”

“Well, this book has absolutely no information about it.” Neville straighten back up, “I’ll have to ask Professor Sprout, but we’ve already discussed the Mimbletonia plant when I first brought it to Hogwarts and she said that she doesn’t know a whole lot about it either.”

“Worth a try, Neville.” Harry walked back to his trunk and picked up his wad of clothes before heading to the loo and a much-needed shower. “Good luck with it.”

“Thanks.” He replied distractedly, watching the plant like it was going to tell him the answers to his questions. “Oh, everyone’s still down at breakfast, Harry.”

“Thanks again.” Harry shrugged and slipped out of the room, not surprised that he missed it.




The weekend was over before it had even begun and Harry and the rest of the Gryffindor’s were back at it. It wasn’t very often that they came across Malfoy, just as Dumbledore had assured them, he kept his distance. However, Harry made sure to keep an eye on him if he was ever around. Ron, apparently, had taken up the same hobby.

“Seen Malfoy today?”

“No.” Harry answered distractedly, stuffing his Potions essay into his book bag, crunching the top half as he jammed it in further. “I haven’t been looking too hard.”

Watching him, Ron asked off-handedly, “Things on your mind?”

“You could say that.” Harry said, letting Ron know that now wasn’t the time to talk about it.

“Any news?” Ron’s brow furrowed, hoping that Harry hadn’t been getting any more giddy ‘spikes’ from Voldemort. “Hermione and I didn’t read anything in the Prophet today, not that it doesn’t mean that anything didn’t happened of course, but...”

“No, nothing like that.” Harry hoisted his bag over his shoulder and started to head out the portrait hole.

Ron followed suit and together they trudged down the crowded halls to the dungeon in silence. Hermione, as usual, was already waiting for them just outside the heavy wooden door.

“Hey.” She said, falling into step between Harry and Ron as they found their table.

Ron was just about to answer her, but before he could do anything other than open his mouth, he was interrupted.


“Sit.” Snape barked, not bothering to look up from his desk behind the students. Harry turned to see exactly what it was that had him acting exceptionally loathsome this afternoon.

“This is going to be fun.” Ron whispered sarcastically out the side of his mouth as he too checked over his shoulder. “Doesn’t look happy today- not that he’s ever looked happy.”

“Shh,” Hermione whispered and immediately took her seat. “Sit down.”

Just then the Potions Master folded the parchment he had been reading in half, running his tightly pinched fingers along the edge creating a razor-sharp crease. He then tucked it into his vest pocket and strode to the front of the class, making sure to give his least favorite pupil his trademark sneer as he pasted by.

“What do you think that was about?” Ron asked from below the tabletop, pulling his Potions book from his bag on the floor. Hermione nudged him and looked displeased that he had even breathed a word.

Harry quickly glanced around the room as Snape was delving headfirst into today’s lesson. There in the far right corner was the stark blonde hair that belonged to none other than Draco Malfoy. He was slouching, but watching Snape attentively. Harry thought he seemed nervous in a way, however, there was nothing outwardly different about his behavior that would confirm his suspicions. It was just a hunch.

“What are the properties of Aconite, Mr. Potter?” Snape’s condescending tone ripped his attention back to the front of the classroom. Harry’s mind immediately flashed to his ‘potions’ trunk. He knew the answer.

“Aconite?” Snape asked again, gaining a few snickers across the room.

“Wolfsbane, Monkshood, Aconite- they’re all the same, Professor.” Harry replied coolly, “They all contain the poison Aconitine. Highly deadly in small doses if not properly mixed with other ingredients.”

“Very well.” He snapped, “I dare say it took you the better part of six years to acquire the answer you should have known your first. Let us all hope that you can grasp the more basic concepts a little faster next time.”











“Hey, Ginny.” Harry said as she descended the girls’ dormitory stairs. “Ready?”

“Sure.” She smiled, pulling her hair back into a loose ponytail. “Are you?”

Harry let out a small sigh and pushed open the portrait hole door, “Now is as good as any time, right?”

“I’m sure Dumbledore will help, he’s always helped you.” Ginny reassured him as they walked side by side down the corridor.

“But what if he disagrees... what if he says no, that now is not the time or that-”

“Look, Harry, it’s not like you’re going out tonight to find him.” For an instant, Ginny’s expression matched that of her mothers.

“Maybe not tonight, but at some point I’m going to have too.” Harry had no idea as to why he was so worried, it wasn’t like he was expecting Dumbledore to yell or tell him ‘no’ outright, but it was the only thing he could think of.

“He gave you the key, didn’t he? He knows, he’ll understand. Just ask.” Ginny took hold of his hand as they rounded the final corner to the seventh corridor. “Besides, I’ll be with you.”

Harry squeezed her smaller hand in his, “Good thing.”

“Arctic Ice Mints” Ginny smiled and opened the passageway to Dumbledore’s office.

“Enter.” Dumbledore called from behind the door, it was slightly ajar.

Don’t worry.’ Harry heard Ginny’s thought before they walked into the Headmasters office.

“Good evening, Miss Weasley, Harry.” Dumbledore got up from his desk and offered them their usual seats.

“Good evening, Professor.” Ginny replied lightly, “I like your robes today, they match your eyes.”

“Why, thank you.” Dumbledore cheeks tinged while he settled back down behind his desk. “So, what would you like to work on this evening?”

Harry knew that this was it and shifted uneasily in his seat until he was perched at the edge of it. “Professor?”

“Yes, Harry.”

“I was hoping that you could tell me what it is exactly that the key unlocks.” The words just poured out of him. “You had said that it was important to my past, my future, and Voldemorts undoing. I’ve been thinking a lot about things...” He sat up a little straighter and met his mentors pale eyes. “I need your help.”

Harry watched as Dumbledore’s expression fell ever so slightly. He let out a sigh and looked at Ginny over his half-moon spectacles before settling back on him. “I’m afraid that I cannot tell you everything you need to know.”

“What?” Harry let his shoulders drop, he was confused. This was not the answer he was expecting. “Why not?”

“Some things, Harry, cannot be said.” Dumbledore reached for the quill lying on his desk and pulled out a fresh sheet of parchment from the drawer. “I’m assuming that you would like Miss Weasley’s presence.”

“Where? To what?” Harry was taken back by the turn of events and the ease in which it came. “Professor, what exactly does the key do?”

“It opens a lock, of course.” Dumbledore smiled and Ginny matched his with one of her own.

“Professor, I want to know what it does. I just can’t take Ginny with me if I don’t know what’s at stake.” Harry started to backpedal, “I don’t want her to get hurt.”

“I wouldn’t want either of you to come to any harm, Harry.” Dumbledore put down his quill and laced his fingers together on top of the blank parchment. “Harry, this key needs to be taken to Godric’s Hollow.” Harry remained silent. “As I said, it is a key to your past.”

Dumbstruck by this newest revelation, Harry asked, “But Hagrid said that Voldemort destroyed the house.”

“It was an unfortunate byproduct of the failed curse against you. Yes, your parents temporary home was left in ruins, Harry, but magic has a way of fixing things such as wood and stone.” Dumbledore smiled and encouraged him to continue.

“But how does that have to do with my future... how am I supposed to defeat him with a key and a house I don’t even remember?”

“Which brings us back to Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore noticed that Ginny, although she had kept quiet during the entire conversation, was carefully following along. “Would you like her to accompany you to Godric’s Hollow?”

“Is it safe?” Harry blurted out before he even had time to think.

“It’s well protected, yes. But Harry, you know more than most that everything has its risks, however small they may be.”

“Ron and Hermione, can they come too?” He felt that they deserved to go along as well.


“If you prefer.” Dumbledore pulled open the top left drawer and retrieved another sheet of parchment. “Of course, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley will have to give their permission for Miss Weasley to attend, but I will be including Mr. Ronald Weasley, though he will be of age, and of course I will asking Mr. and Mrs. Granger on Miss Grangers behalf.”

“Are you coming, Professor?” Ginny asked.

“I would like to attend.” He smiled and dipped his crimson quill into the uncapped inkwell.

“Yes, please do.” Harry said quickly, he had assumed that it was a given. “Who else needs to come?”

“Nobody that you do not wish.” Dumbledore did not bother to look up from his writing.

Harry looked to Ginny, “Then I think that will be all.”

“Professor, when will we go?” Ginny asked.

“Two weeks from Saturday.” His quill glided across the parchment in a swirling pattern. “I have a few thing I need to arrange first.”

“Sir, is there anything else I need to know about the key?”

“No, I don’t think so.” The Headmaster had finished his first letter, “It is important that you keep the key safe. In the wrong hands, it will be of no use to you. Everything will become clear, Harry.”

Harry sat back in his chair, they both watched as Dumbledore began his second letter, which was most likely addressed to the Grangers.

“Professor?” Harry waited this time until he had his full attention, “Something is coming, isn’t it? I can feel it. Ginny can feel it too. Time is running out and I have to be ready to... to end it.”

As soon as the words left his mouth, the air became heavy and thick. Dumbledore took a deep breath of it, taking the time to ponder on his next words.

“Harry, nobody would know better than you.”

“But how do I know that it’s not just nerves, fear. Sometimes I just want it to be over, whichever way it ends, I don’t care. I want to be done with it.”

“You’ve carried the burden squarely on your shoulders your entire life, whether you have known the exact details of the situation or not, it has never left you. It would be only natural to want it to end. Great and capable men have failed with far lesser trials than what you have already endured. But Harry,” Dumbledore’s countenance became thick, as if the air had finally seeped into him. “When you’re ready, when there is nothing more for you to learn, you will know....” The aged wizard paused, slowing closing his eyes and swallowing hard before he spoke again. “And it will be I that will follow you.”

“But Sir,” Harry blurted out, a feeling of panic lit in the pit of his stomach, “Why would you-”

It was Ginny’s hand on his arm that stopped him, suddenly he knew what the Greatest Wizard in the World was trying to say. Fawkes cooed softly on his perch behind him and Dumbledore nodded in acceptance.

“Until the time of our departure, Harry, I would like this to stay between us, Mr. Ron Weasley and Miss Granger. We will continue our lessons, twice a week”

“Yes, Sir.”

“If there is anything else then, Harry, Miss Weasley, I have much I need to prepare.” Dumbledore said with a tired yet gentle smile, sufficiently dismissing them for the evening.

Ginny was the first up. “Thank you, Professor.”

Harry stood, he wanted to say something, but nothing that came to mind seemed good enough- worthy enough- to convey what he felt for his Headmaster. Instead, shying away from Dumbledore’s gaze, he mumbled ‘Thank you’ and lead Ginny through the arched door.









“Really?” Ron perked up, scooting himself up into the front of Hermione’s chair.

“Ouch, Ron.” Hermione whispered through a sharp breath, pulling her foot out from underneath him.

“Sorry.” Ron mumbled, absently patting her foot. “We really get to go?”

Harry and Ginny had just relayed almost the entire conversation they had earlier that evening with the Headmaster.

“If Mum and Dad say so.” Ginny shrugged.

“Dumbledore wrote to your parents and the Grangers while we were there.” Harry said.

“But I’ll be of age next week, why does he need ask?” Ron started off on the defensive. “ Harry, if you need me- if you want me there, I will be and I don’t think for one second that-”

“Ron, I’m sure it’s just a formality.” Hermione put her hand on his shoulder. “I’m of age too, remember.”

“Look, I’m the only one here that technically won’t be able to go without their permission.” Ginny’s tone settled Ron down, he knew that if anyone needed to go with Harry, it was her.

“What do you think you’ll find, Harry.” Hermione asked, taking some of the pressure off of Ginny.

“I have no idea.” He shook his head, the thought of returning to Godric’s Hollow, the place where it had all began, was still sinking in. “I haven’t really had the time to think about it.”

“Dumbledore said that it was important.” Ginny added, watching the crackling fire.

“There must me something there.” Hermione’s mind was already at work, lacing in the newest bit of information with what they already knew.

“Maybe it’s a rare, magical object... like the cloak.” Ron remembered their first Christmas morning at Hogwarts when Harry received his fathers invisibility cloak.

“Well, whatever it is, it’s important.” Harry looked to the floor, watching an ember glow brightly on the hearthrug, a small spiral of smoke wafting up off it before it extinguished itself in one last brilliant flash of light. “Two weeks from today.”







Like with all things that are highly anticipated, the next week crawled by. Lectures droned on. Harry, too lost in the thought of what he might find, let them wash over him, failing to take in anything more than a few disjointed words. It was during Thursday’s Defense Against the Dark Arts with Lupin that Harry had been called on it.


“I’ll meet you back in the common room.” Harry said over his shoulder to Ron and Hermione. He was making his way to the front of the room, towards Lupin who was busy straightening a stack of parchment.

“Sure, later then.” Ron replied. He and Hermione gathered their things from up off the table and followed the rest of their classmates out of the large stone chamber.

Harry slowed his approach, realizing that when he got to his destination he wouldn’t have known what to say.

“Hello, Harry.” Lupin said, not looking up from the stack of essays he was arranging. He had beaten him to it.

“Hi, Professor.” He mumbled back, not sure of where the conversation was going.

“Ah, there we go.” Lupin clicked shut his briefcase; the essays safely stored inside and motioned Harry to join him up the stairs to his office.

He followed behind, letting the other guide the topic of discussion.

“So, everything all right?” Lupin said, stowing his briefcase underneath his desk and taking an easy seat on the corner of it.

“Yeah.” Harry tried to sound as normal as possible, understanding that Lupin’s nod was for him to take a seat. Slowly sitting down, he added, “Thanks, Professor.”

“You can drop the Professor for now, Harry.” He smiled knowingly. “How are things going?”

“Fine.”

“Anything you’d like to talk about?” Lupin edged to the front of his desk and leaned casually against it.

“No. I’m fine, really.” His voice cracked, giving him away.

Lupin folded his arms across his chest. The hint of gray in his mousy brown hair told Harry that his age and experience knew better.

“I just can’t stop thinking about it.” Harry finally admitted, knowing more likely than not, Dumbledore had told him what was going on. If the Weasley’s and the Grangers were notified, then his temporary guardian would be as well.

His fathers’ friend said nothing, only casting his gaze down to the floor momentarily, waiting for his young ward to continue.

“What am I going to find?” Harry gave in and relaxed into the chair. Suddenly his cuticles became a distraction, pushing them back with his thumbnail.

“What are you afraid of finding?” It was just like him to answer a question with another question.

“I don’t know.” Continuing his crude, spur of the moment manicure to his index finger. “I honestly don’t know.”

Lupin quietly cleared his throat. Harry thought that it was more or less to clear his own.

“I’m not sure how I’m supposed to feel about going back. I don’t even remember it.”

Lupin gently pushed off his desk and took a seat in the rickety chair next to him. “Nobody is going to tell you how you’re supposed to feel, Harry.”

Then, without knowing the exact words that he was about to say, Harry said what had been on his mind. “They’re not there, are they?”

“Your parents?” Lupin’s voice quietly returned, “No, Harry. They’re not.” An unexplained relief enveloped him before Lupin finished his words. “They weren’t buried in Godric’s Hollow.”

After taking a deep breath and averting his gaze to a large, rough sawn beam spanning the distance across the ceiling, Harry continued. “Do you know what’s there?”

“I’m afraid that I do not.” Lupin admitted, “Honestly, I don’t think anybody but Dumbledore knows. I’ve just learned myself that the cottage was still standing.”

“Really?” Harry was surprised that Lupin had not known.

“I was away when it happened, Harry.” He looked at him with a sideways glance. “I wasn’t even at the wedding... Oh, I knew about it, of course, your parents kept me updated.”

“The note you gave me for Christmas.” Harry smiled, remembering its simplicity.

“I knew when you were born. I don’t think James had been so proud- so happy, than he was the day that you were born.”

“Where were you?” Harry dared to ask, he couldn’t imagine not telling Ron or Hermione if the situation was reversed.

“Business.” Lupin smiled half-heartedly. Harry detected a pang of hurt hidden underneath it. “I don’t need to remind you how dire the war had become."

Harry grunted understandingly.

“Anyway, I’ve never been to the cottage at Godric’s Hollow.” Lupin shifted in the uncomfortable chair, the wood moaning under his weight.

“Look, he betrayed them... and you.” Harry recalled the night Wormtail’s treason was uncovered. “Don’t blame yourself for thinking Sirius was guilty.”

“I can still regret it, Harry.” Lupin continued, “Anyway, I never knew where exactly it was that your parents went into hiding. Sirius, Dumbledore, and of course, Peter. It was too much of a risk for me to know their whereabouts, Sirius and Dumbledore would have been too obvious to be the secret keeper and both were already targets. Peter, as we have learned a few years back, was thought to be the perfect choice, everyone believed that he would have been easily looked over. Unfortunately, it was us that over-looked him, a mistake in which the cost was too much to bear, especially for you.”

“So you really don’t know.” Harry stated, satisfied with Lupin’s answers.

“No, I don’t. But if Dumbledore feels it’s important, then it is.” He finished lamely. “I wish I could be more helpful.”

“No, you’ve been very helpful.” Harry assured him. “I’m not sure that I want to visit their graves just yet.”

“Why is that?” Lupin asked, picking a matted bit of wool off the elbow his jumper.

“I... I guess I’m just not ready.” Harry said quietly, “I’ve seen them in pictures, the Mirror of Erised my first year at Hogwarts... then again during the Priori Incantatem. I guess in some small way they seemed still alive to me, even though I knew that they are dead.”

“And to visit their graves would only reinforce that.” Lupin had understood. “Don’t let it be as final as you believe it to be. Graves only mark where their bodies, now useless in this life, are laid.”

Harry snorted, remembering what Sirius had once told him and he shared it with Lupin.

“Yeah, that sounds like something he would say.”

“It’s about the veil, isn’t it.” He could see it in his minds’ eye. The stone archway set upon the dais, it’s thin gossamer sheet draped across the opening, the one that Harry had heard whispers behind, reminding him of Ron- that moments later, would swallow Sirius into the unknown.

“It’s a mystery, Harry. Nobody knows for sure.” With that, Lupin checked his watch, stood and faced him. “And I don’t think were supposed to.”

“Yeah, that’s why it’s in the Department of Mysteries.” Harry said dryly, he knew that his time with Lupin was up, another class would be arriving soon. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” He picked a text up off of his desk and headed for the door and his third year students that had started to trickle in. “Harry, anytime.”

Harry nodded in appreciation, gathered his book bag from off the floor and then he too, left the office.







The air had a sweet, musty smell to it; winter’s grip was giving way to spring in Godric’s Hollow. Harry stood with his eyes closed, taking in as much as he could. Listening, smelling, tasting, wondering if any of it would tell its secrets and remind of what he had forgotten. He felt the weight of the key in his trouser pocket and Ginny’s fingertips weaving through his own, assuring him that everything was okay. It was only then that he opened his eyes and saw a quaint, white-washed cottage peeking out from behind a small grove of budding birch trees, framed by a dilapidated rock fence, as if to say ‘Welcome Home, Harry’.

There was a crunch of gravel on pavement to his left and the figures of Ron and Hermione edged into view, but he could not tear his attention away from the cottage. Harry closed his eyes again, shutting them tight; the cool breeze was an unexpected breath of life.

“Whenever you’re ready.” Dumbledore’s voice came from behind.

“Yeah, sure.” Harry shook it off. “Just go through the gate?”

“Lead the way.” The headmaster now gestured to the crooked gate whose hinges, rusted and decayed by the elements and time, valiantly stood guard.

Harry let Ginny’s hand fall and stepped towards the gate. Carefully he reached out, not knowing what to expect, and took hold of the latch. He took a deep breath and tried to release the gate. It did not budge. He tried again, using a little more force this time, but to no avail.

“Sir, is it sealed?” He turned and asked Dumbledore.

“No, I don’t believe so.” Dumbledore replied. “At least not by my doing.”

This time, with proper leverage, the rusted latch groaned as Harry pried it open. He picked up the gate, the end of it had fallen to the ground when it was released from the latch, and forced it open.

“After you.” He said and ushered his friends down the flagstone path.

The yard was simple. Last summer’s dead grass laid matted on its side and small spears of green poked through the at random. The hedges were wild, the upper branches thick and woody from years of neglect. As he drew closer to the small front porch, he noticed clumps of tiny purple flowers that had pushed their way through the flowerbed wall, a remarkable feat from something so small and delicate.


Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore and Ginny all stood beneath the overhang, waiting for him to join them at the front door. He hesitated at the first of three small steps. They were covered in bright green moss; bricks were either cracked or all together missing. Without any further trepidation, he came home.

“I suppose this is where we need the key?” Harry said as lightly as he could and pulled it from his pocket.

“No, not here.” Dumbledore shook his head, a small garden spider dangled precariously on its invisible thread from off his hat. He pulled the thread out of mid air and let the spider rest on the window sash to the side of him. “You’ll know when you need to use it, Harry.”

Great’ Harry whispered to himself, ‘I have to break into my own house.’

“So how do we get in?” Harry asked.

“Magic.” He said matter-of-factly.

“But-“ Harry stammered.

“Maybe Miss Granger would like to do the honors?” Dumbledore suggested. “A simple spell would do.”

Harry looked to Hermione who had obviously been flattered by Dumbledore’s suggestion. “Harry, I...”

“No, please do.” He encouraged her; “I don’t know why I didn’t think of it myself.”

“Are you sure?” She asked hesitantly. Ron had put his hand on her shoulder in support.

“Absolutely.”

Quietly, Hermione had uttered the spell and stowed her wand in a blink of an eye. The click of the deadbolt sliding back into place told him that the job was done.

“Thanks.” Harry said and took hold of the dull brass handle.

“Maybe we should knock.” Ron chuckled just as Harry was about to disengage the remaining latch that kept the weathered oak door in place. It had its desired effect; Harry smiled and pushed it open.

The stale air rushed at him, the house let out a long mournful sigh, one that had been held for the past fifteen years. The smell reminded him of some of the old, forgotten rooms of Grimmauld Place.

“Well, it doesn’t smell like fresh baked cookies.” Harry coughed and walked over the threshold.

They entered a small foyer; a narrow staircase reached up from the floor, to the left and right, arched passageways that opened up into larger rooms. Straight ahead, a short hall ending at a closed, off-white paneled door. The rest of the group had filed through, making the foyer cramped.

“Professor?” Harry asked, noticing that he remained on the porch. “Aren’t you coming in?”

“No, not today, thank you.” The Headmaster replied. “I’d like to walk through the garden, if you don’t mind.”

Harry look at him quizzically.

“You’ll be fine, Harry.” He said and stepped down off the porch, disappearing from the view of the open door.

“Well, where to first, Harry?” Ginny asked, pulling his attention back.

“Right.”

Swiping at the cobwebs as he walked through, Harry entered the parlor. It was small and cozy. A brick fireplace, whose warm fire had long been extinguished, stood out prominently from the exterior wall. Multiple layers of dust covered the intimate seating area, what remained of a moth eaten hearthrug, and the objects resting upon the blackened mantle.

Harry reached for one of the frames and wiped it off with the sleeve of his jumper. Behind the clouded glass was a picture of his mother, his father, and a bundle of blankets that could have only been him, tucked safely away in her arms.

“That’s a nice picture.” Ginny said, peering around his arm. He could feel her warmth against him.

“Yeah.” Harry put it back with the rest and brushed off the frame next to it. “Uh...”

“Let me see.” She nudged in closer and giggled.

“I guess this is pay back for all the stories your mother told me?”

“Na... I think it’s cute.” Ginny took the picture from his hands and examined it more closely. “Did you really eat the soap?”

“Good thing I can’t remember if I did.” Harry had moved on to the next picture. “Hey, look at this.”

Ron and Hermione, who had given him plenty of space, wandered over.

“That’s Lupin.” Ron said, removing a smudge with his thumb. “And Sirius.”

“It looks like graduation day at Hogwarts.” Hermione laughed, “And bath time.”

“What?” Ron asked, “What are you talking about, Hermione?”

“Never mind, mate.” Harry rolled his eyes. “It’s nothing you want to see. Let alone display proudly on the mantle.”

“One of those pictures?” Ron said knowingly. “Yeah, I try to hide them whenever possible.”

The rest of the pictures were of Lily, James, and Harry. A happy collage of what life had been like for the Potters. A bittersweet reminder of what was and of what could have been.

“Mind if I take care of the sofa, Harry.” Hermione asked.

“No, good luck.” Harry replied, still gazing at the last picture of him and his parents.

“Come on, Ron.” Hermione said, prying him away from Harry’s side. “Have a seat.”


“Where to next?” Ginny asked him, finally putting what was clearly her favorite picture of Harry back on the mantle.

“You choose.”

“Well, I’m guessing that through here, is the kitchen.” Ginny smiled and backed into the door, pushing it open for Harry.

Sure enough, they had entered the kitchen. Various pots and pans of all different sizes hung like over-sized Christmas ornaments from a suspended ceiling rack above the stove. And hidden behind the upper, glass-front cabinets were rows of glasses and stacks of plates, bowls and serving dishes. Below a small mullioned window, a single basin sink broke up the counter top, its high arcing faucet bone dry. Harry stood in the middle of it, imagining his mother at the small stove, preparing an evening meal. The imaginary smell of rosemary, pork roast, and warm bread, filtered through the air as he reveled in the illusion. He wondered if his father had helped with the dishes or even liked to help cook.

“There’s the swing.” Ginny woke him. She was leaning over the sink, peering though the window. “It’s just out back.”

For a moment, Harry was taken aback by her long, flowing red hair. His mother’s hair was darker.

He walked over to the back door, rubbed at the dirty widow and looked out across the back garden. There, tied to an old oak tree, was the swing he had just seen in the picture on the mantle. It was of him and his mother, it was fall, and the leaves were golden and flaming reds. Now, as it was, the tree looked more like a dead hand, its gnarled, arthritic fingers reaching upwards towards the sky. The swing, barely hanging on by its frayed ropes, sat motionless. There were only echoes of laughter.

“Yeah, we’ll check it out later.” Harry said, “Let’s get Ron and Hermione and move on to the next room.”

“Sure.” Ginny exited the kitchen with a small smile.


The next two rooms were plain. The relatively empty dining room in the far corner and a completely empty room that Harry had no clue as to what it could have been used for. Hermione had suggested that it was a study, by the waist high bookcases that lined the wall. With that, the downstairs was finished and they were back to square one, the foyer.


Harry rested his hand on the newel post, knowing what rooms awaited him at the end of the staircase.

“Uh, Hermione found a book in one of the end tables. We’ll go check it out.” Ron said, making his way back towards the parlor. “We’ll wait right here. Take your time.”

“I can stay here too.” Ginny whispered, Harry hadn’t moved.

“No.” It was barely audible. “No... Just give me a minute. I... I-“

“I’m here if you need me, right behind you, the entire way.” Ginny always knew what to say. He needed her support and she willingly gave it.

It felt like an eternity to climb the stairs. Each step brought him closer to what he was looking for, Dumbledore said that he would know when he had found it. The growing knot in his stomach and the dryness in his throat had nothing to do with the acrid smell or the years of accumulated dust that was wafting through the air with every step he took. He had made it to the landing that opened up into a small hall of sorts. There were three doors.

Choosing the first on his left, he opened it and stepped inside. It was completely empty except for a can of paint and a drab blue piece of fabric draped across a plain wooden rod that hung over the window seat alcove. The ceiling pitched at different angles, reflecting the roofline of the cottage.

“Looks like this was going to be your room.” Ginny entered from behind and walked over to the window seat. She picked at the fabric, folding back a crease, and gave a quiet chuckle. “See, there’s Snitches on this curtain. It looks like your parents knew it all along.”

“Lucky guess.” Harry shrugged, turning towards the door. He didn’t remember a single thing about this room and like it, his mind was empty. “Shall we?”

“Yeah.”

The door down the hall a bit was the next choice.

“Door number two.” Ginny said, “Any guesses?”

“Nope.” Harry answered and turned the doorknob.

“Uh! Yuck.” Ginny gasped.

“It’s horrible.” He agreed with her first assessment.

They were standing inside a small bathroom classically decorated in vintage 1960’s garb. The floor tiles were a peachy color, although they probably were closer to orange than soft peach. Mustard wainscoting, vanity, loo and sink; thus far it was the most amusing room in the entire house. The mirror, even through the cobwebs and grimy film, was speckled with gold flecks and jig-sawed veins that ran around the outer edge. The tub and surround was an unnatural green, it was the least ugly thing in the room.

“There’s no way my parents liked this.” Harry shook his head and stifled a laugh. He wasn’t sure if it was appropriate, but it couldn’t be helped. “Please tell me that someone other than my parents decorated this...”

“Monstrosity? Maybe it was a work in progress.” Ginny joined in. “Although I recognize the pea green tub.”

“Remind me to take that picture when we leave.”

“Can I have it?” Ginny whined teasingly, “Please?”

“No way.”

“But it’s so cute.”

“Ginny.”

She playfully bumped into him and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re the boss.”

“Sure I am.” He bumped back.

“One room left.” Ginny said seriously, “Are you ready?”

“Yeah.” He took her hand and led her out of the time warp they had found themselves in, to the last unopened door in the cottage.

“Do you need the key?” She asked, Harry had stopped in front of the door.

“No, I don’t think so.” He mumbled.

Harry took a deep breath, trying hard not to cough as his throat clinched. The knot had returned in spades despite its momentary absence in the loo. He felt that latch click back into the door. All he had to do now was to push it forward. And he did.

It was like a dream, his legs carried him to the center of the room where he could take it all in. A double bed, with its curve headboard, rested against the wall opposite the door. Despite the dust, it looked like it had recently been slept in and its occupants had just peeled back the duvet to venture off for a late night snack and a glass of warm milk in the kitchen.

Harry ran his fingers gently along the edge of the bed, wanting to feel the warmth that he knew wasn’t there. He could see his mother in her nightdress, leaning against a bank of feathered pillows, her face bright with laugher and youth. His father, who had rescued his son from slumber, lying on his side, sandwiching young Harry between them as he tickled and played with him despite her half-hearted attempts in telling her boys to settle down. Whether it was a real memory or not, Harry held onto the scene before him, it was the best he could do. He felt the grain in the footboard as he crossed over it, then returned soft cotton of the duvet, still living in the dream. This was his parents’ bed. This is where they slept.

Harry’s gaze shifted, he was now looking at a crib, his crib. He looked back to the bed and then the crib not more than two feet from it. Unsure if he should touch it or not, he slowly reached out. The top rail was riddled with pockmarks, tiny indentations made by a tooth or two, which he bit into the wood wherever the plastic guard didn’t cover. A small, blue gingham blanket was balled up into the corner far corner; the edge of it had fallen through the tightly spaced spindles of the crib. Harry reached for the blanket; there was an inexplicable need to touch it. As if being struck by lightening, shattered bits and pieces came flooding back in quick secession like a disjointed, fragmented movie played in fast forward. He sucked in a sharp breath. Something was bubbling up inside him.

“No!” His screamed cracked through the silent cottage. “No!”

In an instant Ginny was by his side, she had grabbed him by the shoulders, her eyes searching his, they were wide with fear.

“Harry, what is it?” She said forcefully. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

He let the blanket fall from his grasp; his quick, hard breaths had drained the color from his face.

“Is it him?” She asked outright.

Ginny saw the slightest eye movement in the negative; it was all she needed to know.



When the two had settled back down, becoming aware of their surroundings, Harry staggered backwards and sat on the bed, a billow of dust curled up around him. Ginny knelt on the floor in front of him, watching him closely.

“What happened?” Ron asked. He and Hermione stood just inside the room.

“I saw it.” Harry answered, “I saw what happened here.”

A tearful Ginny confirmed what he had said. “He... he remembers.”

“It was like I did it.” Harry’s voice was tight. “Like when I saw your Dad being attacked, but at the same time I was watching from the crib, looking at myself.”

“You were just a baby, Harry.” Hermione whispered. “You were just a baby.”

“I saw pieces through Voldemorts eyes!” Harry’s voice strained and his pulse quickened, he felt physically sick. “I felt what he felt. He killed my father and was happy to do it. Then he toyed with my mum, she begged him- begged him to take her, to trade her life for his, he hesitated but then he killed her too.”

“Harry-“ Hermione spoke.

“No, Hermione, I know what I saw.” He snapped back.

“We believe you, mate. We’re just trying to understand.” Ron was the voice of reason. “Are you saying that you had two different views of what happened?”

Harry thought about what Ron had said, his answer reverberated throughout the room. “Yes.”

The room was silent except for the occasional echo of a muffled sniffle. Harry wasn’t sure he wanted to be here anymore, he wasn’t sure if he should have even came at all.

“I’m fine.” He finally said, forcing his voice to remain steady, “It’s just a lot to handle. I’ll be down in awhile.”

“Sure, we’ll join Dumbledore outside.” Ron wrapped his arm around a visibly shaken Hermione and left the room, their footsteps fading in the distance.

“Harry,” Ginny said, slowly getting up off the floor and sitting next to him on the bed. “Harry, I’m so sorry. I...”

He leaned over, resting his head on her shoulder. Ginny reached up and cradled the back of it; his thick, dark locks between her fingers as he slowly slid down onto her lap. His eyes remained open, not wanting to watch what was behind them, staring at the empty crib in front of him. Ginny’s soothing hand, rhythmically brushing through his hair, was enough to keep him calm while he tried to process a lifetime’s worth of pain and a memory he would never have wanted to see.

It was awhile before he regained his composure, gently picking himself up and drying what tears had fallen before Ginny could notice, but he had been too late.

Her own eyes damp and puffy she whispered, “It’s all right, Harry.”

Looking down at her pant leg, he laughed a little, there was a damp spot just above her knee. “I’m sorry.”

“What, for this?” Laughing, Ginny picked at her jeans. “It’s the very least I could do.”

Harry’s countenance sobered up again, “I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

“You would have been fine.” She wiped the cuff of her sleeve over her cheeks where half-fallen tears slid to a stop and said with a chuckle, “You might have been a bit muddy with all the dust in here, but you would have been fine.”

“Either way, Ginny. I’m glad you’re with me.”

“And I’m glad to be with you.”

Harry sighed deeply, “I suppose we should go.”

“Only when you’re ready. I’m sure they understand.” Ginny wanted to make sure he wasn’t rushing out.

“No, I think I’ve found what I needed to.” He shrugged, “Although, I don’t see how it helps.”

“I don’t know how or why, Harry.” Ginny smiled, her complete faith in him was unwavering. “But it must and it will.”

“Come on,” He held his open hand on her lap, waiting for her to take hold. “Let’s’ go.”

He was making his way across the bedroom and felt the floor give way. It felt familiar somehow. "Wait a minute.”

“What is it?” Ginny asked, not sure of what brought on this latest revelation. She watched as he walked back and forth from the edge of the bed, over the tattered rug and to the door. Each time staring at the floor and bouncing on spot from time to time.

“Help me with the rug.” He said, grabbing one of the corners and peeling it back onto itself.

Ginny did as he asked, “Did you find something?”

Harry was on his hands and knees now, blindly searching for something across the wooden planks of the floor.

“There it is.” His fingers traced the outside of a smaller piece of wood. He searched his pockets for something sharp, something to pry the board up.

Ginny had joined him on the floor and tried to slip her thumbnail into the crack. “There’s something under there.”

“Yeah... I used to keep things hidden from the Dursleys in a loose floorboard in my bedroom.” Harry’s voice was feverish, “They would have never noticed it.”

“Ah, I think I got it.” Ginny hissed, her fingernail dug into the wood and she slowly started to lift it up.

Harry grabbed the plank as soon as she had lifted it high enough to slip his fingers underneath it. Without a second thought, he pulled it free, revealing the buried treasure below.

Inside was a box, wrapped in a ragged cloth. He reached down and removed it from its hiding place. Quickly, he pushed off the protective shroud and marveled at the find. It was a mahogany box. In the center was an intricately engraved, burnished silver plate, its pattern looked vaguely familiar as the vines wound themselves around an elegant P.

“It needs a key.” Ginny breathed, pointing to a keyhole on the front of the box.

He had found what he was looking for, just exactly what it was, he was only moments away of finding out. The jagged teeth of the key fit perfectly, the faint blue glow that Harry had witness when he had first touched it, shone bright and then faded. A gentle turn of the wrist was all that was needed for the lid of the box to ease open. With the key still in place, Harry opened the box.

“There must be at least fifty in there.” Ginny was awestruck.

Harry now held in his hands a bundle of envelopes, each one addressed ~ For Harry ~ and marked with various dates, the last being October 31st, 1981. Some of the handwriting had to be his mothers; it was elegant and flowed beautifully over the parchment. The others, without a doubt, had to be from his father. From the looks of his somewhat intelligible scrawl, Harry had inherited another trait besides his mess black hair. Thumbing through the stack, he found the earliest one, it was thick and dated six months before his first birthday.

“Are you going to open one?” Ginny asked softly.

“Now?” Harry did not look up from the bundle. “Uh... I don’t know. I mean, this is a lot.”

“You don’t have to open them now, Harry.” Ginny backpedaled, “I’m sure you can take them with you.”

“But Voldemort can’t find them.” Harry said, tightening his grip, “He can’t find them.”

“Dumbledore can take care of that, Harry.” She had a point, “He can keep them safe until we get back to Hogwarts, then you can read them when you’re ready.”

“Yeah...” Harry hesitated a moment before he put the bundle back into the box, making sure to lock it properly.

Ginny helped wrap it back in the cloth they had found it in; together they replaced the plank and rolled the rug back into place, matching the dusty outline on the floor. Harry took one last look around the room, at his parent’s bed, and the crib. Taking Ginny’s hand, cradling the box in the other, he turned his back to them and walked out.







So many thoughts, so many questions ran through his mind. In the common room later that night, he read through the very first letter written to him by his parents with Ginny curled up by his side, her presence alone gave him comfort. The etched words told him of their love for him, and the dangers they knew he would be in if their worst fears came true. They were honest and foreboding, yet he could feel the love and protection; glimmers of hope in-between the lines, hope in him. It was his mothers’ idea, that if they didn’t make it- that somehow both were unable to escape the unknown, he would have something to know them by. It was deeply personal. He now understood why Dumbledore did not give him the key earlier, he would not have been able to understand them, and to know first hand the sick-to-your-stomach fear of possibly losing someone you loved. This first letter was only the beginning.

He gently kissed Ginny’s head to wake her up. By now the fire had burnt down to a meager pile of embers.

“Gin?” He whispered into her hair.

“Hmm” She snuggled, trying to escape the inevitable moment when she would have to get up.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”





Harry lifted his jumper over his head, exhaling deeply as his arms dropped back down to his side. Glancing quickly around the room, only lit by what little firelight had escaped through the grill of the potbellied stove, Harry saw the sleeping figures of his bunkmates, who were completely unaware of his late arrival. He tossed the inside-out jumper onto his trunk and while unbuckling his belt, pried off his trainers with his toes. He let his jeans lay where they fell, pulled back the thick bedcovers of his four-poster and took a seat on the edge of the bed. It was almost too much to effort to raise his ankle to his knee, one at a time, to remove his socks. Taking off his glasses and setting them in their usual spot on the night table, he noticed the protruding pustules on Neville’s Mimbletonia. If he had to guess what it was, seeds were the likely answer. Stretching out fully, feeling a small kink in his neck from reading, he rolled over onto his stomach and nestled down into his familiar hollow in the mattress.

The rain, like it has been for the last month, continued to lash at the tall windows, bouncing off the pane and the stone of the tower. Listening to its sporadic rhythm that was now like a lullaby of sorts, Harry closed his eyes. A faint smile drifted momentarily on his face, this time it was him who had wished Ginny goodnight.




A/N: I can see the light... Things are going to get busy for Harry and the gang. I expect to have this story finished up in the next few chapters. Thanks so much for sticking with me, it's been a long ride with lots of 'rest stops' in-between. Take care! ~Patrony :)
Mind Your P's and Q's by PatronyBologna
Chapter 22





Mind Your P’s And Q’s









“Y ou’re blocking my sun!” Hermione swatted playfully at Ron, who had found the prefect patch of grass on which to lie on. “How am I supposed to get anything done if I can’t see?”

“Easy, do it later.” Ron stretched back further, propping himself up on his elbow at just the right angle to cast a large shadow over the text of Hermione’s well-used tome of Runes. There was just the hint of satisfied smugness in Ron’s expression.

“This is later.” And with that, Hermione pushed his forearm down so that his head would no longer get in her way.

“Fine, you work, I’ll just and relax for the both of us.” Rolling fully onto his back, Ron tucked his hands behind his head and took a deep breath of the mild late-spring air.

“You’re such a gentleman, Ron,” Ginny called out from the beech tree.

“Whatever,” he lazily returned, crossing his ankles.

“I hope you burn,” she shot back. “And you get a thousand new freckles!”

“He won’t,” Harry said dully. “Hermione won’t let him, even if his big head is blocking her light.”

“Well, at least you’re being a gentleman, Mr. Potter,” Ginny said with a wink. “Willing to spend time with his girlfriend, helping her study until her brain explodes.”

“Like I have a choice in the matter.” Harry smirked, but quickly changed the subject. “Ready for the next question?”

“Fire away,” Ginny sighed. “Only two hundred and sixty-three to go.”

Harry quickly shuffled through the note cards Ginny had written throughout the year, a studying tip she learned from Hermione. “Nope, only seven left.”

“Nice try, Potter.” Ginny rested her head against the trunk of the tree and closed her eyes, starting the second hour of study on an otherwise perfect Saturday afternoon.

Days like these were getting few and far between. The rain had finally stopped, though the lake had risen a good six feet over its banks and the wind still had a bit of a nip to it. Like the sun, however, bright and beautiful in the clear, azure blue sky, it could not quite break the lingering spell of winter, though it was already well into May.




Over the past six weeks, Harry put extra effort into the D.A. lessons with Dumbledore, and all the rest of his classes. Quidditch, for once, took a back seat, even with the championship on the line yet again. And despite feeling like he had melted into a large puddle of something questionable at the bottom of his cauldron by the end of most days, Harry would burn the midnight oil in the common room, with Ginny by his side and the latest letter in his hand.

“Here.” Harry let the first page of the letter dated July 31st 1981, slip into her line of sight. Ginny was snuggled up next to him like she always did, like a cat curling up for the night, making herself comfortable where ever she pleased. Queen of the Castle ” or at least the common room.

“What’s this?” she asked, reaching up towards the parchment.

“Something you might like.” Harry pulled it back just as she was about to touch it and sighed. “On second thought…”

“May I read it?” Ginny pushed herself up off his side and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “Really?”

“Sure, you’ll get a kick out of this.” Harry gave it to her this time. Ginny had an expression of reverent excitement and uncertainty. “Its okay, Ginny, I want you to read this.”

“But, you’ve never-”

“I know.” Harry kissed her forehead. “I just wanted the first bits to be for me alone. It’s hard to explain.”

“No, I understand completely. Are you sure you want to share them with me now?” Ginny held the parchment in her lap, not chancing a glance without Harry’s absolute blessing on the matter.

“Unless you’re offended by the content,” Harry teased, laughing as Ginny’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Halfway down the page I’m running starkers with bits of cake and frosting all over me.”

“And you want me to read it?”

“Why not? After that tub picture, it can’t be any worse than actually seeing it.” Harry still had to fight off a slight blush.

Ginny scooted over to the opposite end of the couch, making a semi-private cubby to enjoy such sordid details.

“Don’t get too excited.” He settled back down against the arm of the sofa.

“Shh!” Ginny waved him off. “I’m reading.”

He smiled and started on the second page.

I have no idea of how your father managed to catch you. And all the while, he didn’t believe me that you could toddle so fast. I suppose it didn’t help the fact that I was laughing so much that I couldn’t stand up straight, and your father tried so hard to keep it together as well. He kept tripping over himself every time he would attempt to sweep you up into his arms. Once he had grabbed a hold of you, but lost his grip, too much frosting! Oh, that was definitely one of the…

“No way!” Ginny’s whispered exclamation stopped him. “I can believe you did that ”the whole thing?”

“Yes, and the saga continues on page two.” Harry wiggled his eyebrows provocatively and started reading again.

“I could imagine Fred or George doing something like this but””

“Shh!” Harry did not bother to look up and bit the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling. “I’m reading.” That little comment earned him a kick to his right shin, causing it to throb slightly. It was well worth the price.

Without a doubt, this had been one of the happiest times his parents had written about. After having nine years of forgotten birthdays, it was satisfying to know that the one he did share with his parents had been worth every inch of smeared frosting his one-year-old self could manage. He only wished he could remember it but the commentaries in his mother’s own words were a treasure he would not soon forget.

“Are you done yet?” Ginny tapped his thigh with her foot and held out her hand.

“No.” Harry pulled the letter closer to him, but kept an eye on Ginny. “Someone keeps bothering me.”

“Oh, I’m bothering you now, am I?” Ginny huffed.

“Yes, you are.” Harry held the letter so close that he was barely able to see Ginny’s approaching figure and positioned his feet firmly on the floor in case he needed a quick getaway.

“Is this bothering you?” She had slid over to the middle cushion; she was getting much too close.

“Are you done with that?” He asked dryly, not taking the bait.

“Yes, thank you.” She handed him the first page and sidled even closer, ready to pounce in a blink of an eye.

Slowly he folded up the letter and placed it in back inside the box, locking it with the key like he always did. Harry carefully leaned back into the sofa. Everything was peaceful and quiet, the calm before the storm.

“No, you don’t!” Harry had launched himself up off the couch just as Ginny sprang towards him, missing her target.

“Think you’re still fast then, do you Potter?” Ginny taunted, they were now on either side of the couch. “Think you can catch me?”

“Catch you?” Harry laughed. “I thought you were trying to catch me.”

“I’ve already caught you.” Ginny smirked, leaning on the upholstered arm.

“That you have.” He shrugged, pretending to be completely indifferent. “But not tonight.”

“Any rules?” Ginny asked as they maneuvered around the sofa and the end tables. “I wouldn’t want to be accused of cheating.”

“No wands.” Harry shot off towards another furniture grouping. “Stay in the common room.”

“Uh!” Ginny whined, moving to the left of him. “You’ve never had the honor of receiving one of my bat-bogey hexes and I was so hoping to show you.”

“Very funny, Ginny,” he hissed as his already abused shin connected with the corner of a very solid, low table. “No whining and no mercy.”

“No mercy, are you sure you want to take it that far?” Ginny kept to his left, weaving in and out of the study tables and chairs. “Is that a wise decision, Mr. Potter?”

“Sure it is, as long as I’m not on the receiving end, which I won’t be,” he said smugly, countering Ginny’s move.

“There’s that ego again.” She flashed a wicked smile and bolted to the right, forcing Harry back to where he had just come from.

“It’s not ego, it’s the truth,” he shot back, taunting her even more.

“Yes, The-Boy-Who-Lived,” she sighed matter-of-factly, but advanced quickly towards him, causing Harry to take a few blind steps behind. “The famous Harry Potter, I’ve heard it all before, complete and utter rubbish, if you ask me.”

“Are you going to catch me or not?” He stood his ground and watched her step up and onto a wooden chair that blocked her way. Something about her glowed and he could not take his eyes off her. This was more than just a simple game of tag, but what it was exactly, he was not sure. “Or are you just going to keep talking until I’ve nodded off out of sheer boredom?”

Ginny stared right back, dangling her foot off the edge of her perch, ignoring his latest jab. “So tell me, how did it end?”

“You wouldn’t let me finish,” Harry scoffed, not breaking the distance between them. “Mum said that I kept slipping out of Dad’s grip.”

“All the frosting?” Ginny gracefully hopped off the chair as Harry hummed his reply. “Doesn’t look so good for you now.”

Like an unfortunate mouse, he knew he was being toyed with, but had no intentions of giving up so soon.

“I’m confident.” Harry again stepped backwards, he would have to break left or right and waited for the right moment to scurry away.

“Maybe the rags are right.” Ginny took a seat on the end of the last study table, crossing her legs at the knee and bouncing her free leg. It was all very nonchalant.

“If you have a problem with it...” Harry took his chance and darted left just behind an old pair of gold tasseled, upholstered chairs and a small reading table that was nestled up against the stairwell to the dormitories. After three swift steps, he found himself hitting the floor with a dull thud, his right shoulder taking the brunt of the fall.


“No, I don’t have a problem with it.” Ginny leisurely examined her hand, legs still crossed and bouncing, “But I think you’re the one with the problem.”

And she was right.

Not ready to give in just yet, he kept quiet and struggled with whatever it was hampering his escape, pathetically hoping beyond hope that she had not noticed he was having difficulties.

“Hmm.” Finally deciding the time was right, Ginny strolled over and squatted down by his legs in what little room was left. “I think you’re caught, Mr. Potter. There’s no where for you to go.”

Knowing that he was not going to be able to crawl out fast enough, Harry looked ahead of him and played his final card. Keep her talking.

“It was my mistake.” He pulled himself up, careful to keep his arms behind him and his knees bent so if the opportunity came, he could take it. “It must have been all the dust.”

“No, I knew this would happen.” Ginny leaned in closer, “Fred and George dropped one of their Slipspots over the banister during their fifth year. That’s why these chairs are here.”

“Nice try.” Harry slid back, gaining ground. There wasn’t a whole lot of room, at least not for the both of them.

“No, really. They warned me about it.” She smirked, watching him intently. Ginny reached over his waist, her upper body straddling him as she moved closer and whispered near his ear, “It was planned.”

“A likely story.” He sat up a little more and tried to scoot out from under her, careful not to make contact. As it was, the mouse was caught between ginger paws.

“If that’s what you want to believe. Whatever makes you sleep better at night,” she replied cheekily, the glint in her eyes told him there was more to it than that. “I’m not going to ask you again, Harry… Mercy?”

“Never!” With his defiant declaration, he pushed himself towards the triangular gap and the wide-open freedom of the common room, but he did not make it far. Ginny had held onto his belt, bringing his sudden burst of momentum to a screeching halt.

Trying to keep quiet, Harry squirmed, gasping as she dug her fingers in just above his hip, tickling him. He had no idea that such a place existed, that it would cause him to twitch like that. Before he knew it, it was over. Ginny repositioned and began the second barrage, this time with his ribs, with renewed ferocity. She had successfully pinned his arm between her and the floor, aided conveniently by the wall. Harry suspected that the years of enduring the wrath of six older brothers was coming in handy at this very moment. He was caught; mercy was not his to be had. He was losing his resolve and then it broke.

In one swift move, he freed his arm and rolled out from under Ginny, sweeping her around, effectively trading places. The slip residue that she had used to undo him was now her own undoing.

“Oh, no,” Ginny pleaded, realizing that the tables had turned. “No, you don’t.”

His face was flushed, his brow damp, and his breathing ragged; trying to recover himself from Ginny’s incessant torture. Harry watched her wriggle beneath him. Her red, tangled hair splayed against the cool gray stone, her chest rising and falling. Ginny’s eyes danced wildly as they gazed back into his, all the while careful not to use their bond. It was he who had been caught; there was no question about it. Then with all the playfulness and wanting that lingered just below the surface throughout the evening, he kissed her. Yes indeed, it was good to be the mouse.

When they finally broke apart, finding the awkwardness of the situation rather amusing, Harry carefully helped a giggling Ginny to her feet. She slid out from behind the seating area, twisting her hair up on top of her head, exposing her soft neckline as she ambled back to the sofa near the fire. “Just so we’re clear, I won.”

Harry followed her, stopping short of his destination, watching as she let her hair fall back down.

“Thanks,” he whispered, his tone was suddenly sober.

“For what?” she asked, picking up her book bag from off the floor and shouldering the thick straps.

“You,” he said simply, some of the flush returning to his cheeks. “It’s just, reading the letter tonight, I mean…” Ginny smiled, encouraging him to go on. “My parents were happy then, at least for one night, I made them happy.”

“Of course you did.” Ginny picked up the mahogany box from off the coffee table. “They loved you. You meant the world to them.” She kissed his cheek and handed him the box.

“I know, it’s just that ”” Harry stumbled, finding just the right words. “I wouldn’t have known any of this. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if they were still here. I see your family, how they treat each other, how happy everyone is ” together.”

“I don’t know about that.” Ginny chuckled, easing some of the tension. “We’ve been close to hexing one another into oblivion on more than one occasion. You’ve been a witness to at least a few, I’m sure.”

“That’s just it. They’re happy and I never thought I could be.” Harry grabbed her full attention with his eyes. “Ron and Hermione are my best mates, I love them. I see your brothers and in some odd way pretend they’re mine. Your mum and dad, they’ve been like ””

“Parents.” He could feel Ginny’s patience with him and what he was trying to say.

“Dumbledore, Hagrid, even McGonagall in a way… Lupin, Sirius.” He looked down at the box tucked inside his arms and sighed. “Even my parents ” nobody means ” no one has…” A small tear escaped the corner of Ginny’s eye. “You make me happy, Gin, more than I deserve to be. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have known ” if it wasn’t for you ””

“No.” She tipped up on her toes and kissed his scar, a constant reminder of what he had survived, against all odds. “If it wasn’t for you, Harry.”



It was three days before O.W.L. exams and the general mood of the fifth year students was grim. He remembered hearing all the nervous mumblings of facts and spells as over-anxious students paced the halls reciting them. And the legend that some students would get so worked up that Madam Pomfrey had to hospitalize them, causing them to miss their exams, or at least reschedule them, was still alive and well. Although he highly doubted anyone would actually miss their exams. Ginny, for the most part, was taking it in stride. But this was not one of those times. Harry knew that she would need all the studying she could get, if only to ease her nerves. He had complete confidence that Ginny would do remarkably well either way.



“Hey, Neville.” Harry entered the sixth year dorm and found his friend easing his Mimbulus mimbletonia plant into a large paper sack. “Did it die?”

“No, not at all,” Neville breathed out, the tip of his tongue peeked through his lips in concentration. When he released his precious cargo, Neville gently folded the opening of the bag over and creased it shut. “It’s reproducing, sort of.”

‘That’s nice.” Harry started to regret the topic of conversation. “Is that what all of those pustules were a few weeks ago?”

“Yep.” Neville stood back and checked to see its position in the window. “It needs to stay in the dark. That way I can milk it.” Apparently the look on Harry’s face demanded an explanation. “I sent an owl to Uncle Algie and he suggested that I do this. The secretions during the reproductive stages of the Mimbletonia contain highly potent restoring serum.”

“What does it restore?” Harry asked, flipping open his trunk.

“Loads, I guess.” Neville seemed both confident and unsure at the same time.

“You guess?” Harry retrieved the Marauders map from the side of his trunk.

“We’re not really sure.” Deciding that his Mimbletonia was sufficiently shaded from the sun, he continued. “Professor Sprout suggested that we give some to Madam Pomfrey, to see if she can use it for something. It should be ready in a couple of weeks, give or take a few days.”

“I suppose it is all a guess.” Harry settled into his four-poster with his map in one hand and a leftover Chocolate Frog from the last Hogsmeade trip.

“It’s the best we got.” Neville shrugged. “Besides, if it doesn’t work this time, there’s always another try in two years.”

“You have to wait two years?” Harry mumbled; the packaging was being stubborn so he tried to open it with his teeth.

“Yeah, two years from now.” Neville took his wand from off the nightstand and pocketed it, getting ready to leave the room. “That’s why they’re so rare and it’s hard to find information on them.”

“Good luck with it then.” Harry held the charmed frog in his hands as it struggled to free itself.

“Thanks, see you around, Harry.” Neville grinned and headed for the stairs.

After pledging the oath to the Marauder’s Map, Harry searched it over. First, he was looking for Ginny who happened to be in the library, along with Luna, Colin, and a few other fifth years for a crash study session before O.W.L.’s. Next on the list was Malfoy. He scanned the Slytherin common room, the dorms, and then he searched the rest of the dungeon to no avail. After ten minutes of tediously following the small labeled dots around the castle and discovering that an unnamed dot was after all a bit of smeared chocolate, Harry found his mark.

Headed down from the castle, along the trail to the outer gates was Draco, Snape, and Narcissa. A little reunion. Harry snorted and swallowed the last bit of frog. He watched as the dots slowly wound their way down the hillside, stopping briefly at the gate before the dot labeled ‘Narcissa Malfoy’ disappeared.

I’d love to know what that conversation was about. Harry continued to watch as the two remaining dots inched up the parchment and back into the castle, going their separate ways once entering the main doors; Malfoy to the Prefects bathroom on the fifth floor and Snape back to the dungeons.

Harry then looked for the whereabouts of Ron and Hermione, who were supposedly on prefect duties, although Harry tried to turn a blind eye to what was really going on. In all fairness, Ron was taking the fact that his best mate and his baby sister were involved, all magical bonding set aside. Luckily, he found their dots climbing the fifth floor staircase on the way to Gryffindor tower.


“Did you know Malfoy’s mummy came for a visit?” were the first words out of Ron’s mouth upon entering the dorm.

“Yep.” Harry smirked.

“You know everything with that map.” Ron’s face fell in mock disappointment before it lit up again. “But you don’t know what they said.”

“And we do.” Hermione joined in with a wink, causing Harry to salivate with potential news. “But don’t get too excited.”

“I’m sure it wasn’t about his academic career.” Harry swung his legs around the side of the bed to make room for Ron and Hermione to take a seat. “And…”

“It sounded like they were having a bit of a row.” Ron took the foot of the bed and gently pulled Hermione down in front of him.

“Too bad I missed that one.” Harry could imagine the scene as it played out. “What did Malfoy do this time?”

“It was the other way around,” Hermione said, her eyebrows arched high on her forehead.

“What?”

“Malfoy was getting after his mum,” Ron started. “He was upset with her, telling her that she shouldn’t””

“And Professor Snape took his mother’s side,” Hermione broke in. “All we were able to hear in the hall, before they rounded the corner, was him saying something to the effect that ‘things are in place’ and ‘to do for her’.”

“Something’s up.” Harry’s mind was racing at the latest news. “Snape, Malfoy, and his mother are planning something.”

“Well Dumbledore has to know.” Hermione hit the brakes. “They were coming from the Headmaster’s office.”

“Maybe not.” Ron shrugged.

“Ron, Mrs. Malfoy would have to be invited to Hogwarts. Dumbledore knows,” Hermione dismissed his suggestion.

“Whether Dumbledore knows or not, the question is why?” Harry bit his lip in concentration. “Let’s get this straight. Malfoy pretends to be Dean, to get Ginny to get me. Says it was for his father who’s escaped out of Azkaban. Snape says that Malfoy’s been set straight””

“Then he sends Hermione cryptic notes, warning her that the Death Eaters were about to attack,” Ron added to the list of events.

“Which they did,” Hermione finished. “But Dumbledore didn’t know about it so Malfoy wasn’t telling him, unless he didn’t know how to or if there wasn’t enough time.”

“What would his motivation be?” Ron asked. “Why? What’s in it for him?”

“The Dark Mark?” Harry scoffed.

“Harry, that’s not helping.” Hermione sighed. “If Professor Snape says he’s not as he put it, ‘his father’s son’, then he’s not. He did warn me, after all.”

“Like that’s a reason to believe it ” because Snape said so,” Harry returned.

“I’d be mad at Mum if she was doing something I didn’t like,” Ron said thoughtfully. “I wouldn’t want her running about, tracking Death Eaters for the Order or something like that. Quite honestly, I’m glad she’s at home.”

“Me too,” Harry agreed. “But the Malfoys are Death Eaters. Every single one of them.”

“So maybe it’s the other way around?” Ron threw out the possibility.

“I don’t know.” Hermione shook her head, “All we’ve got are more questions than what we have answers to.”









Friday, like always, was blissfully painful. Ron, Hermione, and Harry took their usual spot in the dungeon amid the cauldrons and jars of grotesque, unknown ingredients for the double-session class.

Harry had assumed that Snape would be in a better mood; the previous class happened to be fifth years, and he wouldn’t put it past him to twist the already knotted students just for the pleasure of watching them squirm. Unfortunately, he was wrong. The hook-nosed Potions Master was even more abrupt, more scathing than Harry thought possible in a classroom setting.

“Veritaserum. The extra ingredients are on the front table,” Snape sneered to his pupils. “Samples of your progress by the end of class, you should know where they go.”

Hermione dared to raise her hand.

“Forget it,” Ron whispered out the side of his mouth but it was too late.

“Miss Granger.” Snape leaned over the head table, his beady black eyes narrowing on her. “Just. Do. It.”

“Yes, Professor,” she muttered, slowly lowering her hand in retreat.

“What was that about?” Harry asked under his breath as he watched Snape glide through the stone archway to his office and private stores.

“With him?” Ron set his Potions book on the table and started flipping through it to find the instructions for Veritaserum. “Anything.”

“You won’t find it in there.” Hermione shook her head. “It’s just appeared on the board.”

“Oh.” He stashed it back into his bag. “Why are we making this if it’s not in the course book?”

“Do you really have to ask?” Harry replied dryly. “Since when did Snape make life easy?”

“Harry, we’re not supposed to be able to make this.” Hermione got out her scales and neatly lined up her supplies. “It’s a controlled potion, and you have to have at least a N.E.W.T. level in Potions to be able to make it.”

“You didn’t shy away from making Polyjuice Potion in our second year,” Ron smirked, reading the chalky instructions. “Besides, it says that it needs a full moon cycle to make, so there’s no way we can finish.”

“Still, I don’t like it.” Hermione uncapped the first vial of ingredients and sloshed its yellow, congealed contents into her cauldron, completing step one.

Harry, while squatting down until he was eye level with his scale, careful to make the exact measurement sighed. “At least he’s not making things worse by being here.”

“I’m not complaining.” Ron lit a small fire under his cauldron. “I might actually be able to do something right for a change.”

“I’ll be right back. I need to get some…” Harry squinted at the instructions, “essence of Lilium Longiflorum, or whatever it is were supposed to put in this.”

He made his way to the front of the dungeon and the long table with the ingredients displayed in tight formation. Harry quickly browsed the regiments: Bulbadox powder, Fluxweed, Nex syrup, Abyssinian Shrivel fig, Lilium, Lionfish spears.

Harry couldn’t help but peer into the background of Snape’s office; after coming up with hundreds of conclusions to Narcissa’s recent visit, any chance to get more information was worth it. He could see him rifling through a large bundle of parchment. His greasy black hair kept Harry from his view as it draped in front of his eyes. Pretending that he was examining the vials, Harry watched as Snape, who apparently had found what he was looking for, stashed a slip of parchment into his robe pocket. Not wanting to get caught spying on a Professor, especially Snape, Harry fumbled with a box of Bicorn horns.


“I believe this is what you need, Potter?” Snape hissed and he reached the table, grabbing a vial of Lilium and thrusting it into his hand.

“Yes, Professor.”

“Now get back to work.” Those were his final words.

Snape had left the dungeon.

An hour and forty-five minutes later, the Potions prison was shrouded in a fine, water-like mist. The entire room seemed to be one big mirage. Most of the students’ cauldrons were emitting large, frequent spurts of vapor and since there wasn’t a description of what this stage would look-like; Hermione guessed that they were either all on the right track, or they each made the same mistake.

“Five minutes.” Harry wiped his brow, taking a quick break from whipping his solution as per the instructions. Ron was one step behind and Hermione had already finished her sample and was jamming on the cork.





“That was the best Potions class ever.” Ron led the trio up the stairs, “Three minutes of Professor Snape! You know, I think I’d be better at it if he wasn’t there at all.”

“I know I would,” Harry agreed entirely. “I think I did alright. At least my sample wasn’t chartreuse like Malfoy’s. I have to admit, seeing his glow made it much more enjoyable.”

“It’s not like Professor Snape to leave us on our own, especially with directions ” even though they were partial ” for such a complicated potion as Veritaserum.” Hermione joined in the conversation, stirring up more issues than either he or Ron wanted to deal with. “It was all rather odd.”

“Odd or not, I still don’t have a problem with it.” Ron, still in the lead, weaved his way through the oncoming flow of students. “Did you get the new password?”

“Yep.” Harry replied, “I gave it to Ginny just after lunch. She’ll meet us later.”

Within minutes they were climbing the spiral staircase to the Headmaster’s office, the heavy oak door was ajar. Harry gave his usual knock and nudged the door open, expecting Dumbledore’s usual salutation of ‘good afternoon’. Instead, the three of them stood fixed in the doorway. Professor Dumbledore was seated at this desk and sitting on the opposite side, filling one of five chairs, was none other than Snape.

“Good afternoon, Harry.” Dumbledore broke the silence. “Please, come in and join us. Professor Snape has some information that I believe will be of great use.”

Giving a halfhearted smile, Harry returned the pleasantries and defiantly sat in the seat next to Snape. Hermione left room for Ginny to his right, while she and Ron finished off the row.

“Professor, is everything all right?” Harry asked. “Something hasn’t happened, has it?”

“Everything for the moment is well.” Dumbledore tugged at his white beard. “I think you’ll agree once Professor Snape has a chance to explain things.”

“What about?” Harry asked. There was no way he was going to share any information with Snape if he could help it.

“In due time, Harry. I’ve sent for Miss Weasley, she should be joining us shortly.” Harry knew that this was going to be a long afternoon when Dumbledore reached for the tin and offered it up to the group, “In the meantime, lemon drop?”






“I can’t believe it.” Ron shook his head, the sun dipped low on the horizon, causing his hair to look as if it were on fire. “Why didn’t I see it? It was all right there in front of us the whole time.”

“Dumbledore didn’t even see it.” Hermione flipped through another large tome, this one happened to be titled, Beyond Darkness, Principles of Moste Evil Magic that was lent to her by Professor Snape of all people. “Of course he had his suspicions, but…”

“What I don’t understand, Harry, is how did he know?” Ginny asked, “How did he find out?”

“I suppose Dumbledore told him.” Harry was lying face up on the grass, his head resting in Ginny’s lap as she leaned against a large boulder. The quartet had settled into one of the many small depressions around the upper castle grounds, finding a bit of privacy amongst the jubilant population of the fifth year and seventh year students now that they had finished their last day of exams. “I’m surprised that he did though, I thought that Dumbledore would have kept it just between us or certain members of the Order on a need-to-know basis.”

“Professor Snape is in the Order,” Hermione gently reminded him.

“You know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.” Ron turned the page for Hermione and scanned the list of cruel and unusual jinxes and spells that he was thought were a shoo-in for an Unforgivable.

“Maybe Dumbledore didn’t tell him?” Ginny laced her fingers with Harry’s. “Maybe he used Legilimency.”

“I would have known,” Harry sighed. “He couldn’t have.”

“Harry?” Ron asked. “I know you’ve told us all before, but can you tell us again, exactly, everything that happened that night, as you saw it?”

Hermione looked to Ron and back to Harry and Ginny, “Yes, tell us exactly what happened, every detail, even if you think its nothing.”

“Where do you want me to start?” Harry replied dully, the last thing he wanted to do was to relive that night again but understood that neither Ron nor Hermione would ask him if it wasn’t important.

“From the time you touched the blanket.” Hermione picked the spot.


He took a deep, cleansing breath and closed his eyes, preparing for what he was about to recount for the third time since returning from Godric’s Hollow; the first being that day in his parents’ bedroom, and the second recital to Dumbledore during lessons the following Friday. It had been almost two months.

“I saw my dad in the doorway and then he was dead. He didn’t even have to think about it, the Killing Curse ” Dad didn’t stand a chance.” Harry’s voice was dull and void of emotions. He knew he had to keep it together and this was the only way he knew how. “My mum was scared ” she held me close in her arms and paced back and forth in front of the crib. She started whispering something but stopped when she heard the footsteps on the stairs.”

“Harry, did you hear the steps?” Hermione asked. She had her quill in one hand and a blank piece of parchment in the other.

“Yes.” Harry squinted, keeping his eyes closed as the thought back. “I could hear them.”

“You didn’t see him coming up the stairs or his memory of it?” Ron asked.

“No, I just heard...” Harry paused and that thought back harder, “I saw the door. He used a spell to open it.”

“Then what happened?” Squeezing his hand, Ginny helped him along.

“Mum put me in the crib and faced him. He laughed. She didn’t have a wand.”

“Can you see him?” Hermione whispered. “Are you watching from the crib?”

“I’m him.” Harry’s voice was cold. “Mum was pale but she didn’t flinch. She kept glancing behind me ” him ” and to the left, like she was looking for something. He was going to kill her but something changed his mind.”

“What changed his mind?” Ginny breathed the question that was on everyone’s lips.

Harry thought harder, trying to recall the extra details inside his own head he had never known were there before, but was coming up short. “I don’t know, he killed her anyway, does it matter?”

“Something changed his mind, at least for a moment, about killing your mother.” Ron was in strategy mode, delving into the twists and turns of Voldemort’s psychotic motivations. “You said that he didn’t think twice about killing your dad. So why stop with your mum, especially when you were right there, virtually unprotected?”

“I don’t know.” Harry opened his eyes and looked upwards in frustration. “I don’t know why. I don’t even know why I can see it happen from both views.”

“Dumbledore says that it has to do with your scar ”” Hermione was the first to remind him.

“And the smoky snake thing,” Ron said, putting the pieces together.

“Hi, Ronald.” The misty voice belonging to none other than Luna Lovegood broke the tension. “Hello, Hermione, Ginny.”

Luna’s greeting was followed by Neville’s, who was carrying a pair of garden shears and had a pair of thick dragon hide gloves tucked inside his front jean pockets. “Hey, guys.”

“What are you two up to?” Ginny asked pleasantly, although slightly surprised by the intrusion.

“I told Luna I’d help her pick some Dagger’s Brush.” Neville shrugged. “Professor Sprout said that I could find some on the west side of the castle.”

“Have you seen them?” Luna asked enthusiastically. “My dad just published an article in lasts month’s issue of The Quibbler, about Schugalnerfs, they’re microscopic creatures that ” Harry?”

“Yeah?” he answered, only vaguely startled by her abrupt change of thought.

The blond fifth year looked him straight in the eye and said very seriously, “You need to be kissed.”

Harry was completely floored by such a statement; it wasn’t at all what he was expecting. Rather smoothly, Ginny answered for him. “I already got that covered, Luna, but thanks.”

“You do?” Luna looked between her and Harry, who was blushing madly, it was quite the contrast to the angst-ridden expression he had earlier, given the subject matter of their discussion. “Are you sure?”

“Positive,” Ron groaned and rolled his eyes. “And it’s not a pretty sight.”

“No, it wouldn’t be,” Luna agreed, wrinkling up her button nose. “But it needs to be done.”

“Uh, we’ll see you later,” Neville stammered, another victim of embarrassment. “We better get going, Luna, we need to get back before it gets dark.”

“See you later.” Ginny smiled, holding back her giggle.

“Good luck.” Hermione offered as the pair waved them off. “You never know what to expect, do you?”

“No, you don’t. That’s what makes it interesting.” Ginny snickered, “Should we snog now or later? If Luna says””

“Later.” Harry shook his head, but slipped in a wink.

“I don’t want to hear about it.” Ron grimaced, reading through Hermione’s notes. “All right, so you don’t know why he didn’t ” you know. So what stopped him?”

“No.”

“You said that your mum was looking around to the side of him, why?” Hermione asked.

“For a way out? Trying to find something to use? Maybe her wand was on the nightstand or something?” Harry was grasping at straws.

“I couldn’t have been her wand.” Hermione quickly shot down the idea. “If it was, she would have gotten it before he ” before Voldemort ” found her.”

“What did Voldemort say to her?” Ginny quietly asked. “Something about not needing to””

“That she didn’t have to die,” Harry finished for her. “That it would be silly for her to sacrifice herself for me. She begged him to take her, to trade for me.”

“But he did it anyway.” Hermione scribbled something down.

“Dumbledore said that your mother’s blood protected you.” Ron was back in form with a little help from Ealred. “Was that by her dying?”

“I guess so. I never really thought about it.” Harry plucked a blade of grass and began to pull it in half down the center. “It’s the whole reason I have to return to the Dursleys every summer, because my aunt has my mother’s blood… or is my mother’s sister. Something like that.”

“You mum was good at Charms, wasn’t she?” Hermione smiled, she could relate to Lily, being a witch born to Muggle parents.

“Yeah, Lupin, Sirius… everyone said she was good at Charms.”

“Did she say anything before ” before it happened?” Ron flipped through the book Moste Evil again.

“I don’t think so.” Harry was feeling like this was getting him painfully nowhere and by now he had lost his willingness to keep going back.

“Please, Harry?” Hermione put down her quill. “I think we may be on to something.”

“Yeah, alright.”


Harry took off his glasses and pressed the heels of his palms into his closed eyes and tried to picture it all in his head again. This time it came as flashes, each piece separated individually out of the whole. He could see his crib ” the color of the walls ” the rug that hid his parent’s letters ” the brass knob of the door ” the curve of the bed. He could smell his mother ” the smell of something burnt ” feeling cold ” sick ” perverse. He sank further in, willingly drowning himself in it. His scar flickered ” he looked to his right ” black ” thick ” screams.

“Harry!”

His eyes flew open, it was Ginny. She was leaning over him, her warm hands on either side of his face, ready to use their bond if needed. He could see the blurry forms of Ron and Hermione hovering nearby as well, both echoing Ginny’s concern.

“Don’t.” He abruptly swatted her hands away, keeping her from touching him any longer and sat bolt upright. “It’s him. I did it.”

“Did what?” Ron asked, not missing a beat.

“I went to him, I didn’t mean it, but I did.” He watched Ginny, afraid of what her reaction might be, sorry that he had been so harsh. “I know.”

“Are you sure?” Ron studied him. “Is it the truth?”

“Yes, I only got part of it though, before he knew I was there.” Harry blinked his watery eyes and gently touched his now throbbing scar. “He wasn’t alone that night.”

“Who was there, Harry? Who was it?” Hermione whispered. “Who did you see?”

Harry let out a deep breath he did not know he was holding and shook his head, “I couldn’t see. I was almost there but I couldn’t make it past the cloak before Voldemort suspected me.”

“It was Pettigrew.” Ginny sat back on her heels. “It was Peter, Harry. Sirius said that Peter was there when he showed up, that’s how Voldemort kept his wand. He took it, framed Sirius, and then hid in the Burrow for the next twelve years.”

“It fits,” Hermione agreed with Ginny’s conclusions.

“So Peter tried to change his mind?” Ron asked and then answered his own question. “He was probably jealous of your dad, didn’t mind that he was out of the way. But maybe he had a… you know, a thing for your mum? He wanted to keep her for himself. He would be her savior, his reward for giving you up.”

“That’s sick.” Hermione wrapped her arms around her middle.

“Pettigrew said that Voldemort made him give up my parents, maybe in his own demented way, he felt bad ” but only enough to save my mum for himself.” Harry was regretting more and more his choice of not letting Sirius and Lupin finish him in the Shrieking Shack and the anger he felt at himself and towards Wormtail flared in his belly.

“But Voldemort didn’t listen,” Ron added. “Whatever reason Pettigrew offered, it wasn’t enough.”

“She wouldn’t have taken it. Whatever the reason, whatever deal he tried to broker.” Harry ran his hands through his hair. “She’d have given her life either way to save me, with her blood. Mum chose to be with Dad. Pettigrew knew it, that’s why he needed my blood for Voldemort’s rebirth, so that he could touch me. He stole it.”

“So now we know.” Ginny handed Harry his glasses and he took them back apologetically. “It’s all been Peter.”

“And Professor Snape has figured out how you survived.” Hermione reminded them all of how they got to this point. “Restituo Viscus Potestas. No wonder you share the Vita Potestas Bond with Ginny. It’s a bit of an after effect, really. It all fits.”

“Now we just have to figure out how to keep it ” to keep you alive,” Ron muttered, closing the large text and joining in the deep, tangible silence that surrounded them like the seeping darkness that stalks the setting sun.





A/N: To say that I'm a bit rusty would be a gross understatement. After Seeds, which was probably the best thing I've ever written (sadly) and such a long absence from "Power", the pressure was on. There's so much going on in this chapter that I rehashed it too many times to count. You could say this is the beginning of the end so I had to make sure all my Cornish Pixies were in a row, and you know how difficult they can be! lol I hope that it was enjoyable if nothing else.



I can only offer up my deepest apologies for my neglect. I'm well aware that authors who hang their readers out to dry suffer a 'fate worse than death'. Apparently, I'm still alive! lol Thank you so much for supporting me along the way. It means to world to me and is truly humbling. There are so many great FF authors out there, that I can hardly imgine why you've taken the time to read my scribblings.



And a thousand thanks to cwarbeck, who has - for some unknown reason - agreed to take pity on me and my mess and has graciously waved the magic Beta Wand on my behalf. You're worth your weight in gold and then some. I'll try to do better next time!



Now, I should probably get busy and write! ~Patrony :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=20962