Distraction by Jenn_Weasley
Summary: Telara always knew she was special to her adoptive family. But she never knew how special she really was until Albus Dumbledore took her back to England and the wizarding world. Now she faces her biggest challenge ever. Fitting in at Hogwarts? No – she can do that. Will she be able to help Harry Potter win the war against Voldemort? For everyone’s sake – let’s hope so.


Over 4200 reads! Thanks so much everyone!! This was written Pre-HBP. You'll have to suspend new canon a bit for me.


For my faithful (and new as well) reviewers: I've been practicing my amateur publishing skills and have made a paperback version of this story. If you would like a copy, let me know and I'll send one out. I might even make a collection of all my stories if anyone is interested. Thanks!
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 28645 Read: 20073 Published: 04/30/05 Updated: 12/21/05

1. The Past Always Catches Up by Jenn_Weasley

2. You Can Go Home Again by Jenn_Weasley

3. Arrival at Hogwarts by Jenn_Weasley

4. Classes Begin by Jenn_Weasley

5. Dark Arts and the Potions Master by Jenn_Weasley

6. The Calm Before the Storm by Jenn_Weasley

7. The Storm by Jenn_Weasley

The Past Always Catches Up by Jenn_Weasley
Telara sat on her horse overlooking the ranch she had called home for 17 years. It was a sunny May afternoon made even more glorious by the fact that she was finally done with school. Her years at Del Rio High School were pleasant enough but dull compared to the teaching she received at home. As far as Telara knew, she was an orphan transplanted from her native England to this sprawling southern Texas ranch. Her adoptive parents were Edward and Bridget Ollivander though she had always called them Gramps and Nana. Though her parents were older, they seemed like a perfectly normal family. But that was far from the truth. Edward and Bridget were wizard and witch. Telara was raised with the assumption that she too would be a witch. Signs of her talent came early: a chicken that startled her as a toddler turned purple and remained that way until it became dinner one Sunday afternoon, and a bull lost its horns when it charged at her. It was clear to Edward and Bridget that they would indeed be training their daughter to become a witch.

Edward and Bridget began her magical education on her eleventh birthday. They had built a series of underground rooms that were used to house their wizarding library, classroom and potions laboratory. Though they rarely had Muggle guests, they did not want to risk exposure if anyone were to drop by their house. Edward’s brother had come to America with a trunk full of wands to try. She was finally chosen by a wand made from yew with a unicorn hair core. She learned quickly and proved quite gifted at potion-making. She also attended the local Muggle school. Her parents realized that would be the best way for her to learn to pass as a Muggle.

Telara had always been sure of herself in no small part to the encouraging and loving way she was raised. Therefore, Muggle school proved easy enough for her. She got along with most of her classmates and had a small group of friends. Her secret, however, kept her from really bonding with any of them. She longed to be home so she could learn a new charm or practice flying on her Cleansweep. The 2,300-acre ranch gave her the room and privacy she needed to become a skilled flyer. She loved her magical training so much that it didn’t seem like extra work when her education continued at home.

The favorite parts of her life involved her Nana and Gramps and her magical education. She also cherished the owls and visits from her Godfather, Albus Dumbledore. She still called him “Papadore” as she did when she was a young child and could not get her mouth around his name. He was the one who named Telara when she was born. He would tell her that her name meant “golden ray of sun” and that is exactly what she was in a time and situation that was so dark. He would not tell her, however, why the time around her birth was so terrible. Neither would he tell her anything about her father. Her mother died soon after she was born and Telara remembered nothing of her hasty removal and relocation soon after.

On her twelfth birthday, Dumbledore arrived at the ranch to bring Telara a present.

“My dear one,” he began. “This picture was in one of my books. It really belongs with you.”

Telara’s heart beat faster as she looked at the moving image before her.

“Mom?” she asked her voice thick with emotion.

“Yes, that is your mother,” Dumbledore replied, holding back his own tears.

Telara could see that her mother was beautiful, but she could also see the ravages of time and illness in her eyes. Those eyes also showed the love and adoration she felt for her baby daughter who she held so close. Telara had never received anything so precious in all her young life.

Life had been calm and predictable for Telara. She had a fun senior year of high school and was getting to learn some very useful and challenging magical skills. Now that summer was here she could focus on finishing her magical training.

The only thing that dampened her spirits was the stressful atmosphere that her home had recently taken. Edward and Bridget were becoming increasingly jittery lately. The number of owls had multiplied lately though Telara hadn’t seen any of the letters that had been delivered. She walked in on a very tense conversation between them recently. They were talking about someone who was regaining power and an impending war when Telara stepped on a squeaky board and gave herself away. They quickly dismissed the conversation and refused to elaborate.

She rode her horse back to the barn where she got him settled from the long ride she had taken around the ranch. She had probably been out too long. Her suspicion was confirmed when she saw Nana standing on the porch, her toe tapping impatiently on the weathered boards.

“Well, there you are!! I was about to send your Gramps out to find you,” she hollered.

“I’m sorry Nana, I couldn’t resist,” explained Telara. Why is she so worried? This is becoming a habit of hers I could do without. she thought.

“Well, come in and clean up for dinner,” instructed Bridget. The tension coming from her was odd. She was usually an easy going person.

“Nana, is something wrong?” asked Telara.

“No child,” Bridget answered. “I’m just glad you’ll be home with us from now on. I worried about you while you were at school.”

“Why would you be worried? It’s just school. Why would that bother you?” Telara questioned.

“It makes no difference now,” Bridget replied. “You’re home safe now and that’s all that matters. Help me with dinner.”

Okay, if you say so, but we’re not through with this conversation, Telara thought to herself.

Dinner was an uneventful feast of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, okra and apple pie, at least until a flurry of owls burst through the open window.

“Merlin’s beard!!” exclaimed Edward. “I haven’t seen this much owl activity since I put a Furnunculus curse on my brother when we were at Hogwarts. I’d never seen so many howlers at one time. I couldn’t even get them all open before they started exploding. It was worth it though!”

“Can we focus on the pile of letters in front of you?” chided Nana. She was all for reminiscing but she was very curious about the sudden appearance of so many urgent messages.

Bridget and Edward both took letters and opened them. Telara’s stomach lurched as she saw the color drain away from their faces. Edward looked up shakily from his letter.

“Telara, please go down to the library and start on your assignment,” he instructed.

“Are you two okay? What’s happening? I’m not going anywhere!” insisted Telara.

“Please, child, do as he says,” pleaded Bridget. “We will explain. Just give us some time.”

“Fine!” Telara shouted as she slammed her hands down on the scrubbed table. “Just remember that I’m not a little child anymore. And I’m not going to let this go!” She thundered down the stairs as disruptively as she could. When the kitchen was silent, Edward and Bridget looked at each other in stunned silence.

“We knew this might happen,” sighed Bridget.

“I just didn’t want to believe it would. She’ll have to go straight away to Dumbledore. He’s the only one who can prepare her now,” said Edward.

“I’ll pack her trunk,” offered Bridget though she didn’t get up from the table.




The next morning Telara sat bleary-eyed at the kitchen table. She wasn’t able to sleep well with the news that her Gramps and Nana had given to her the night before.

“You’re going back to England to attend Hogwarts,” Bridget announced.

“What? When was all of this decided? Why didn’t you ask me first?” demanded Telara.

“Dumbledore wants to train you there. There are so many things he can teach you that we can’t,” said Bridget. “We don’t have much choice in the matter. This is what is best. Please trust us.”

As Telara tried to force down some orange juice, Edward and Bridget timidly entered the room.

“When will Papadore be here?” asked Telara.

“Any time now,” answered Edward.

As if on cue, there was a loud pop and Albus Dumbledore was standing in the middle of the kitchen. Normally, Telara would have run up and thrown her arms around her godfather’s neck. Today, she crossed her arms, stuck out her bottom lip and sat resolutely in her chair.

“Now my dear,” said Dumbledore. “There is no need for dramatics. I expected you to be upset with me. Is there anything you want to ask before we go?”

Telara turned her head and started out the window at the lake and the red cliffs. How can he expect me to leave Nana, Gramps and this wonderful place? she thought.

“Telara?” persisted Dumbledore

“Why and Why now?” Telara managed to choke out.

Her miserable tone went straight to Dumbledore’s heart, “I know this will be hard for you. But we need you at Hogwarts.”

“You need me?” Telara repeated. “I don’t understand.”

“There is a war in the wizarding world and evil is threatening our very existence. You have a role to play in this. Like others in this battle, you are forced to follow a path that was laid out before you were born. In time, you will understand. You need to believe in me and believe in yourself. It is time for you to return home,” explained Dumbledore.

Telara looked into his eyes that usually held a twinkle just for her. Now those eyes were serious and intense. How could she refuse her Papadore? She took a deep breath and replied, “I do believe in you, Papadore. And I will go to Hogwarts as you ask. When are we leaving?”

“Now,” declared Dumbledore.
You Can Go Home Again by Jenn_Weasley
Telara steeled her reserve and said, “I’m ready. Let’s go.”

She gave lingering hugs to her Nana and Gramps. She didn’t want to let go of them, but she knew Papadore was waiting for her.

“Don’t worry, my sweet girl,” whispered Bridget. “We’ll see you soon. I promise.”

Edward nodded in agreement. An unrelenting frog had formed in his throat and he knew he wouldn’t be able to speak without falling apart.

Telara turned to Dumbledore expectantly. He held out a small glittering stone that seemed innocent enough.

“This stone is a Portkey,” Dumbledore explained. “It will take you to your room at the Leaky Cauldron in London. Stay there and I will follow soon with your things.”

Telara took one last look at her Nana and Gramps, took a deep breath, closed her eyes and let Dumbledore place the stone in her hand. She felt a jerk behind her navel and knew that she was on her way. She had never traveled this far by Portkey. She had time to open her eyes to see what happens while in the middle of Portkey travel. She opened her eyes wide. That was a big mistake! All she could see were great flashes of light zooming by her. The blinding lights forced her eyes shut involuntarily.

I certainly won’t try that again, she thought.

As quickly as her trip began, it ended with a thud as she landed on a wooden floor.

She stayed where she landed for a few minutes still unable to open her eyes. The room smelled slightly musty and dusty. She heard the clink of glasses and the laughter of the wizards downstairs. It was a welcoming sound to hear when in such a new place. She felt ready to try to open her injured eyes again.

She peeped out of her barely lifted eyelids. Everything was a bit fuzzy but she could make out the huge carved wood bed in front of her with linens of the deepest red she had ever seen. She ventured to lift her eyelids a bit more. There were some very interesting buildings outside her window. They defied everything she had learned in physics class. As she surveyed the room, she realized why it smelled so dusty. She didn’t really mind, though. The room was cozy and welcoming to her. She turned to find a portrait of a very beautiful young lady in a lovely pink dress.

The woman in the portrait looked at Telara and smiled.

“Welcome to the Leaky Cauldron,” she said.

With a yelp, Telara jumped backwards and fell over the footboard of her bed onto the mattress. She had heard her Nana and Gramps speak of talking portraits before but she was unprepared for the reality of one. Telara peeked over the footboard and sheepishly grinned at the lady in pink.

“Sorry about that,” said Telara. “I wasn’t quite ready to see a painting speak to me just yet.”

“That’s all right, my dear,” answered the lady in pink. “I’m quite lacking in entertainment around here and that little tumble will last me a few days. Thank you.”

It was then the lady in pink’s turn to jump when Dumbledore apparated with a loud pop.

“Professor Dumbledore! You shouldn’t frighten a lady like that,” chided the portrait.

“Please accept my most humble apologies, my lady,” responded Dumbledore as he sunk into a low bow.

“Well, of course I will,” blushed the lady in pink. “What a gentleman!”

Dumbledore straightened to find his goddaughter suppressing a laughing fit. He started to chuckle and pretty soon the room was filled with laughter.

When both had managed to catch their breath, Telara asked, “What do we do now?”

“We need to do a bit of school shopping,” answered Dumbledore.

“Shopping? Yeehaw! Let’s go!” exclaimed Telara.

Dumbledore shook his head as he thought, I’m in for quite the afternoon.

After a quick stop to Edward and Bridget’s Gringotts vault, Telara and Dumbledore ventured out onto Diagon Alley. The first sign to catch her eye read Ollivander’s “ Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.

“Uncle!” Telara shouted and took off like a shot. Dumbledore had never seen anyone move so fast without a broom underneath them. Telara burst through the door.

“Uncle, where are you?” she shouted.

Mr. Ollivander appeared from the rows of shelves with a big grin on his face.

“I hoped I’d be seeing you soon,” he replied in his misty voice.

Dumbledore found the pair in a long overdue hug upon his entrance to the shop.

“Ah “ Headmaster,” greeted Mr. Ollivander, “It’s wonderful to see you again. I trust everyone had pleasant travels.”

“It was a quick but very productive trip as you can see. But I’m afraid we cannot linger. We have a lot to do today,” Dumbledore replied.

Telara did not want to say goodbye to her uncle. But the prospect of an afternoon shopping in this wonderful new place was too hard to ignore. She knew she would see her uncle again soon.

Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions was their first stop. Telara flittered around the shop trying to take in all of the beautiful colors and materials. A smiling witch came over to help Telara.

“Hogwarts, my dear?” she asked.

“Yes, ma’am,” Telara answered.

Her accent seemed to draw the attention of an imposing man with long white blonde hair. His mouth wore a sneer that Telara suspected rarely left his face. His glare made her nervous and she was thankful when the witch guided her back to a fitting room. The curtains had not even closed completely when she heard the drawl of a boy’s voice on the other side.

“Father, who was that girl?” he demanded.

“Apparently, she’s one of Dumbledore’s charity cases. She will be joining you and the other seventh years at Hogwarts,” hissed the father.

“What? He can’t do that. Can’t you stop him?” spat the boy.

“Quiet, Draco! Not anymore. Despite my efforts and enticements at the Ministry, Dumbledore again has the influence he needs to do whatever he pleases. Even if it is letting a nasty American girl into Hogwarts,” barely uttered the father, as if a bad taste was in his mouth.

“She’s American! That is repulsive,” angrily protested the boy.

“Lower your voice!” hissed the father, “It is not a good time to attract the attention of Dumbledore or his little protégé.”

They walked away and Telara heard them talking with the clerk and then leaving. Her blood was boiling from their audacity.

How dare they speak of Papadore that way!, she seethed.

Telara had been tempted by the beautiful assortment of dress robes but all she wanted to do was buy her school robes and get out of there. She managed to calm herself before she went back outside to Dumbledore. He didn’t need the aggravation right now.

The apothecary proved a welcome distraction for Telara. The selection was much more varied than the inventory at her Texas underground laboratory. She got to see ingredients that she had only read about before. She stuck to buying the basics and moved on down Diagon Alley. She could have stayed forever in Flourish and Blotts but once more Dumbledore gently prodded her to the clerk and out the door.

Telara suddenly realized that she was starving, so they headed back to the Leaky Cauldron to deposit her purchases in her room and eat lunch. When they returned to Diagon Alley, Telara was a little sluggish from her substantial lunch and was content to stroll arm in arm with her Papadore. She noticed the sign for a store that Edward and Bridget had never mentioned before.

“Papadore, what is Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes?” inquired Telara.

Dumbledore chuckled and answered, “That is a joke shop run by two of the most interesting brothers you are likely to ever meet. We’ll go in and I’ll introduce you.”

Papadore didn’t seem like the type to frequent joke shops, but Telara was too interested in meeting these brothers to dwell on it. The first thing Telara noticed upon entering the shop was two ginger heads close together deep in conversation.

“That won’t help them. We need to find something that will make more of a commotion,” proposed one of them.

“I think it would be perfect,” insisted the other. “Let’s let them decide when they get here.”

It took them a minute to notice their new patrons. They looked up to find the last person they expected.

“Professor Dumbledore!” they shouted in unison.

“Good afternoon! What kind of trouble are you two brewing up today?” asked Dumbledore as he peered over his half-moon glasses.

“We are hurt that you would presume such a thing,” retorted George. Telara noticed a smile he was barely able to conceal.

“Yes, and in front of such a lovely guest,” added Fred.

Telara blushed as the twins shifted their attention to her. They were quite cute and she always enjoyed a sense of humor in a boy.

“Fred and George, this is my goddaughter Telara. Telara, this is the infamous Fred and George Weasley,” said Dumbledore. “They were students of mine for almost seven years.”

“Almost?” asked Telara.

“I’ll explain that when we have much more time,” said Dumbledore as he exchanged mirthful glances with the twins.

“Boys, it was a pleasure to see you again. But I’m afraid we cannot stay. We have quite a bit to do still, and I don’t want Telara to getting any disruptive ideas from the two of you,” he added with a wink.

“It was very nice to meet you,” said Telara.

“It was nice to meet you, too!” echoed the twins.

On their way out of the shop, they paused to let three people enter. Another ginger head, a bushy head and a dark untidy head swept past Telara. They paused to greet Dumbledore but seemed rather intent on talking to Fred and George. They gave a quick nod and greeting to Dumbledore and Telara before heading to the counter. They seemed friendly enough though a bit preoccupied.

“Who was that, Papadore?” asked Telara.

“Those are three of your classmates who you will undoubtedly meet tomorrow. I’m interested to know why they were in such a rush to see Fred and George,” Dumbledore pondered.

The rest of the afternoon was spent buying parchment, ink, quills and other necessities. When they finally returned to the Leaky Cauldron, Telara thought she might collapse from exhaustion. She managed to stay awake through dinner by asking Dumbledore a million questions about the things she had seen with him that day. Finally, Dumbledore stood and proposed that it was time for Telara to get some rest. She wholeheartedly agreed. She gave her Papadore a long and grateful hug goodnight.

“I’ll be back for you in the morning,” said Dumbledore. “Rest well.”

“I will,” promised Telara. “I love you, Papadore.”

“I love you too, dear one,” answered Dumbledore.

Telara collapsed on the bed in her room exhausted but very happy. Though she hadn’t been here a full day, she felt at home.

This may not be so bad after all, she thought as she drifted off for a night of sound sleep and pleasant dreams.






Thank you to my wonderful beta, bekkio!!! You are awesome!
Please review!! Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Arrival at Hogwarts by Jenn_Weasley
Telara woke up to a beautiful autumn morning. Comprehension of all that had occurred over the past thirty-six hours came back slowly. The lady in pink looked at her to consider whether or not she could say good morning without giving the poor girl a heart attack. Telara opened her eyes slowly. The sun was shining in through the windows illuminating her new Diagon Alley purchases.

“Good morning,” uttered the portrait softly.

Telara smiled at her “roommate” and returned her greeting. She didn’t know what time it was or when Dumbledore would be there so she got showered and dressed quickly. She packed her new things away with the old then sat on the bed to wait. She did not have to wait long. She heard a pop outside her door and had it open before Dumbledore had a chance to knock.

“Good morning, Papadore!” greeted Telara.

“Well, you look much better now than when I left you last night. I trust you had a good night’s sleep,” said Dumbledore.

“Oh, I did! I don’t think I moved an inch all night,” she answered.

“I’m glad to hear it, because you have quite another day ahead of you. You will not be taking the train to Hogwarts. I have other plans for your arrival that will make things much simpler,” said Dumbledore.

Telara was disappointed that she would not get to take the train. Edward and Bridget had told her so many stories of the fun times they had on the train while in school. She knew that she would meet her classmates soon enough though. Papadore was always right about these things.

“You will travel to Hogsmead by Floo. From there, one of my professors will take you to Hogwarts. Again, I will take care of getting your things transported,” explained Dumbledore.

“Okay. How will I know who the professor is?” asked Telara.

“Don’t worry. You’ll be able to spot him quite easily,” hinted Dumbledore. “Let’s eat a bit of breakfast downstairs and then we’ll be on our way.”

Telara had been anticipating Dumbledore’s arrival so much she hadn’t even notice her stomach rumbling. She looked around her room one more time and said goodbye to the lady in pink before following Dumbledore out the door.

The waitress brought an enormous plate filled with eggs, sausage and toast to the table. Telara ate quickly in her rush to get on with her trip to Hogwarts. Dumbledore marveled at how much food she was managing to eat.

After she'd eaten enough for two grown men, she contentedly stretched as she stood up. Dumbledore guided her over to The Leaky Cauldron’s fireplace. He held out a pouch of Floo powder and instructed Telara, “You’ll be going to a tavern called ‘The Three Broomsticks’. I will see you soon.”

Telara took the powder and stepped in to the fireplace.

“The Three Broomsticks,” she pronounced carefully. In a flash of green flames, she was gone.

She was forced out of the Floo into another large fireplace. She would have fallen forward on her face if it wasn’t for something very solid that stood in front of the fireplace. Except, it wasn’t something, it was someone! Telara took a step back to see the biggest man she had ever laid eyes upon. His hair and beard seemed to consume most of his face. And his coat pockets seemed to be home to something very wiggily. He could have been quite fearsome if it had not been for his kind eyes and friendly smile.

“You must be Telara!” boomed Hagrid.

“Yes, I am. And you must be the professor who is taking me to Hogwarts,” replied Telara.

’I’ll be able to spot him’ “ no kidding, she thought.

“Yep. Name’s Hagrid. Glad te’ meet ye’! You ready to get up to the school?” Hagrid asked.

“Almost. I need to let my eggs and sausage settle from the Floo ride for a minute before I’m ready to go,” said Telara.

After a quick rest, Hagrid took Telara to a carriage waiting outside. She couldn’t see the Thestral pulling it, but she had been told about them by Bridget and was thankful for her innocence in this matter. She entered the carriage and sat down while Hagrid squeezed his bulk inside. The carriage lowered by quite a few inches as he sat down.

“So, are you excited about coming to Hogwarts?” asked Hagrid.

Telara replied, “I wasn’t too thrilled when they told me, but now I’m starting to look forward to this year.”

“I don’t blame ye’ for being in a state over it. I wouldn’t like it either. But I’m glad you’re acceptin’ it well,” said Hagrid.

“Well, I can’t go around mad forever,” Telara admitted. “And I’m glad to be living near Papadore now.”

Hagrid chuckled.

“What? Did I say something funny?” asked Telara.

“No, not really. I jus’ never heard Professor Dumbledore called by a nickname before,” explained Hagrid.

“Oh! Maybe I should get used to calling him Professor. At least when other people are around,” Telara figured.

“You might get some strange looks tha’s fer sure. But I don’t think it would bother him,” said Hagrid.

Telara looked out the window just in time to see Hogwarts loom into view. Her breath caught as she saw the castle for the first time.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” exclaimed Hagrid.

“Beautiful can’t begin to describe it! It is more magnificent than I could have ever dreamed,” gushed Telara.

As they pulled up to the massive doors, Telara wasn’t sure if her legs would be able to carry her inside. She couldn’t quite believe she was really here. She pinched herself just to make sure.

Ouch! That answers my stupid question, she thought as she scolded herself.

Hagrid opened the carriage door and made his way out. When he was through stretching after the cramped ride, he offered his gigantic hand to help Telara out.

“We’re to go to Professor Dumbledore’s office straight away,” Hagrid instructed.

Telara could only nod as Hagrid led her up the massive steps and through the doors. She felt the coolness of stone and shade as the stepped into the entryway. Hagrid led her though many hallways and up several flights of stairs. They finally stopped in front of a gargoyle statue.

“Ice Mice!” exclaimed Hagrid.

Ice Mice? What is he talking about? thought Telara.

Just then, the gargoyle sprang back and revealed a moving spiral staircase. Telara peeked up the stairwell to see if she really wanted to get on this thing, but Hagrid made her choice for her as he pulled her onto stairs.

When they reached the top, she saw a wooden door with a knocker in the shape of a Gryffin. The door opened as they approached and Hagrid ushered Telara inside. Telara just stared at the splendid room as Hagrid wrote a note at the desk.

“Feel free to look around. Professor Dumbledore should be here soon,” said Hagrid. “It’s been real nice to meet ye’. I’ll see you at the feast.”

“Thank you for everything, Hagrid,” said Telara.

Telara wondered through the room, fascinated with the delicate little devices on the tables. She watched the portraits as they slept and could have sworn that she almost caught a few of them peeking at her. She had just started looking though the titles of the many books in the office when Dumbledore came through the door.

“Ah, my dear, I hope you found your way here easily,” greeted Dumbledore.

“Yes. I would spot Hagrid easily indeed! You could have warned me, Papadore,” laughed Telara.

“But where is the fun in that?” retorted Dumbledore.

“All joking aside, I’m going to need a map to get around. I don’t think I could find my way out if my life depended on it,” Telara stated.

“I know of a certain map but I don’t think you will get the owner to part with it,” hinted Dumbledore. “The paintings and suits of armor should be helpful if you find yourself lost. I expect you will learn your way around quickly. Most students do.”

“We need to take care of some business before I take you to the Great Hall,” instructed Dumbledore.

He pointed his wand at a high alcove above the bookshelves and said, “Accio, Sorting Hat!”

An old, patched hat flew into his hand. Telara recognized it from her parents’ stories of their first days at Hogwarts. She hadn’t even thought about being sorted. Dumbledore motioned for her to take a seat and Telara moved quickly in her eagerness to know in which house she would be placed. The hat sunk low over her eyes and the smell of old leather saturated her nose. She heard a small voice inside her head.

“Hmm,” said the voice “A very unusual pupil. I’ve never sorted any one of this age before.”

Telara peeked out from under the hat’s rim at Dumbledore. He gave her a reassuring wink as he moved her hand away from the hat.

“I see daring, talent, and gift for learning,” the hat continued. “But there is some darkness deep within that I cannot ignore.”

Telara’s heart skipped a beat at this revelation. How could the Sorting Hat see something that she had never even felt herself?

“I think this darkness can be overcome. You will do well remember that this darkness exists in you and be ready when it surfaces. You will need all of your gifts to be able to defeat it. Your house will be Gryffindor!” finished the Sorting Hat.

Telara’s joy at being placed in her parents’ house was tempered by the warning she just received. She slowly pulled the hat off her head and gave a half-smile to Dumbledore.

“Well done, Telara,” said Dumbledore. “I will have someone from your house walk you to the feast.”

Dumbledore left the office and returned a few minutes later with the bushy haired girl she had seen entering the joke shop.

“Telara, this is Hermione. She is Head Girl and one of our brightest students. Hermione, this is my Goddaughter, Telara. She has been studying in the United States and will be joining us for her final year of training,” explained Dumbledore. “I would like you to show her around and introduce her to your housemates.”

If Hermione thought this was an odd situation, she did not show any signs to that effect.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Telara,” welcomed Hermione. “Are you ready to go down to the feast?”

“I’m as ready as I’m ever going to be,” said Telara bracingly.

Dumbledore gave Telara a reassuring wink as she and Hermione left the office and headed down the spiral staircase. They walked along quietly for a little while before Hermione decided to break the silence.

“Telara, where had you been training before you came to Hogwarts?” she asked.

“My parents taught me at home in Texas,” explained Telara. “We had our own library and potions lab.”

“Wow!” exclaimed Hermione. “Having your own library must have been wonderful! Did you go to Muggle school as well?”

“Yes, my parents thought it would be good for me,” Telara continued. “I liked it but I think I’ll like it here much better.”

“I hope you do. You’ll love being in Gryffindor. We've won the House Cup every year but one since I've been here. That's the award for the house with the most points for the year,” added Hermione. "We get along really well."

By this time, the girls had reached the Great Hall. Telara stopped in front of the doors. She heard the din of hundreds of conversations and felt a touch of nerves. Hermione gave her a heartening smile before she opened the doors and led the way inside.

The noise level dropped a bit when the girls entered the room. Heads turned to see this new girl who was heading to the Gryffindor table. Telara ignored the puzzled looks and whispers that had erupted around the room. She straightened herself to her full height and strode confidently beside Hermione as they made their way to the Gryffindor table.

Luckily, she didn’t see the glare of a certain Slytherin who was apparently trying to burn a hole in her back with his eyes.

Hermione introduced Telara to Harry, Ron, Neville, and Parvati before the first years came through the doors and captured everyone’s attention. Telara watched as the Sorting Hat sang his song and proceeded to sort the first years. She let her mind wonder as the Hat continued its task.

I can’t believe I’m here, she thought. These are people just like me. It’ll be so nice not to have to hide who I am anymore.

What Telara didn’t know was that she did have something to hide. She had a secret that was so staggering that Dumbledore had kept it from Telara herself.

Telara became aware of Dumbledore standing to greet the crowd of students and professors.

“Welcome back to yet another year at Hogwarts!” hailed Dumbledore. “We have much to discuss but that will wait until our stomachs are filled. Tuck in!”

Telara marveled as the food appeared before her. It seemed to her that there were some American recipes mixed in with the British dishes. Telara grabbed some familiar fried chicken along with some wonderful looking Shepard’s Pie. The conversation flowed freely as everyone became accustomed to Telara’s presence. She was asked a lot of questions about America and she in turn asked about life at Hogwarts.

Everyone fell silent as Dumbledore stood once again.

“I have just a few words before we all go off to our beds. Once again, it is my job to inform our new students and remind our returning students that the Forbidden Forest is, as its name suggests, forbidden. Also, there is to be no magic used in the corridors between classes. Mr. Filch will be glad to provide a very complete list of other activities that are prohibited. Now to a more vital topic. As you well know, much has changed in our world since last year. I want to encourage all of you to work together as we prepare to battle this rising evil.”

Telara saw Harry in her peripheral vision. She turned to see that his skin had paled during Dumbledore’s speech. His eyes caught hers and she offered what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

Dumbledore continued, “I want you to be ready for whatever lies ahead by studying and practicing diligently. Please know that the staff and I are here to help you in any way we can. Well, that is quite enough from me tonight. You are excused to your houses. Good night.”

As everyone stood to leave, Hermione excused herself to help organize the prefects as they guided the first years to their respective common rooms.

Parvati linked her arm through Telara’s and whispered, “I’ll show you the way to Gryffindor tower.”

Telara was grateful for Parvati’s help and gesture of friendship. As everyone slowly filed out of the Great Hall, Telara felt very comfortable and contented in her new home with her new friends.

They finally reached the portrait of the Fat Lady and Parvati gave the new password, “Golden Snitch”. As they came though the portrait hole, Telara gazed for the first time at the Gryffindor common room. It was so warm and welcoming, but its exploration would have to wait until tomorrow. Telara was ready for bed.

Parvati guided her up the stairway to the girls’ dormitory and to their room. Telara saw her trunk and sank into the bed that was behind it. She forced herself up to put on her pajamas before she crawled under the blankets.

“Thank you, Parvati,” Telara said sleepily. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“You’re welcome,” replied Parvati. “Sleep tight.”

Telara fell into a blissful sleep as soon as her head hit the down pillow. She would need her rest for the day that was ahead of her.




Thanks again to bekkio, my amazing beta! I can’t wait to hear what you think. Please read and review!
Classes Begin by Jenn_Weasley
Telara woke up the next morning as her roommates started moving around. She smiled when she remembered where she was and jumped out of bed onto the cool stone floor. Parvati gave her a sleepy smile as she continued dressing. Telara hummed as she put on her school uniform and robes. She was bouncing around the room in far too cheerful of a manner for so early in the morning.

“Don’t tell me you’re a morning person,” groaned Lavender.

“Not really. I’m just excited about starting classes today. Most of the time, I would sleep until noon if could,” Telara stated.

“Thank goodness!” exclaimed Parvati. “You’ll fit in well then.”

The girls chuckled as Telara stood by the door bouncing on the balls of her feet. She couldn’t quite contain her excited energy. The other girls finished dressing and walked down to breakfast.

They entered the Great Hall just ahead of a big cluster of Slytherins. They quickly headed to the Gryffindor table to avoid being trampled by the group.

Draco Malfoy entered the Great Hall, looked around and spotted his target.

“Is your American arse still here?” he sneered.

She remembered that drawl from Madam Malkin’s shop. Telara spun around to meet her adversary. His striking grey eyes and blonde hair distracted her, but just for a brief moment.

She put on her best Texas accent and replied, “It sure is! And since I kinda like my…arse, I decided to stay as well. You reckon that’s alright with y’all or should I have gotten your say-so before I had the guts to come into your presence?”

Malfoy’s pale skin blushed as sniggers filled the Great Hall.

“You filthy little mud….”

Telara dropped her exaggerated accent and interrupted, “There are two reasons you don’t want to finish that statement. One, I may be an American, but my parents were wizards and British wizards at that. Two, I would hate to shove this toast down your throat and waste a perfectly good breakfast on a prejudiced jackass like yourself.”

Malfoy stood there dumbstruck for a minute before he stormed away muttering under his breath.

Telara took a deep breath and turned around to her housemates. She found many of them laughing so hard that they weren’t even making any sound.

“I think I’m going to like you,” stated Parvati.

“You are a true Gryffindor, Telara,” said Seamus.

Ron grinned at her appreciatively. “Well done!” he complemented. “You found out in record time what a git Malfoy is.”

“I did have a head start. I overheard his father and him having a nasty little conversation while I was getting fitted at Madam Malkin’s. I was hoping I would have the opportunity to find out who he was,” Telara explained. “Now I just have to keep myself from hurling curses at him when he’s not looking.”

Professor McGonagall walked down the length of the Gryffindor table passing out class schedules. Telara took hers and anxiously scanned its contents.

“Okay,” said Hermione, thinking out loud. “This is not too bad. Herbology with the Hufflepuffs will be a nice way to start the day. Then we have to deal with the Slytherins in Care of Magical Creatures. But we’ll be with Hagrid so that will be good. Have you seen Hagrid yet, Telara?”

“Yes, he brought me from Hogsmeade to the school yesterday,” answered Telara. “I like him very much.”

”Good. Hagrid is one of my favorite people here at Hogwarts,” said Hermione as she looked back at her schedule.

“I have Arithmancy for the rest of the afternoon,” continued Hermione. “I think I can handle that.”

“I have Arithmancy this afternoon as well,” added Telara. “Can we walk together after lunch?”

“Of course we can,” responded Hermione. “Arithmancy is my favorite subject. Do you like it?”

“I think it’s fascinating, but I’m not that good at it,” answered Telara. “I have to study very hard to keep up with it.”

“Well, we’ll just have to study together,” declared Hermione. “We’ll get you a N.E.W.T. in Arithmancy, you can trust me on that.”

Telara was flushed with happiness as she walked with her housemates down to the greenhouses. Having a big group of friends was new and exhilarating to her. She couldn’t imagine her day getting any better.

Telara followed her housemates to the greenhouses. When they entered the greenhouse, she saw many pots of plants with pure white blossoms that she quickly recognized as Hellebore. Bridget and Edward had not let her see Hellebore much less handle it. She was very anxious to get started with the lesson as Professor Sprout entered the greenhouse.

“Good morning, class!” she greeted.

“Good morning, Professor Sprout,” echoed the class.

“Welcome back to Hogwarts for your seventh and N.E.W.T. year,” lectured Professor Sprout. “We’ll be preparing for your most important year here at Hogwarts and I expect a great amount of effort from you all. Today we will be working with Hellebore. Can anyone tell me the properties of Hellebore?”

As usual, the Hermione’s hand shot up in the air. But to everyone’s surprise, there was another hand raised as well.

Professor Sprout’s eyebrows were raised in surprise as she called on Telara, “Yes, Miss Ollivander?”

“The species possesses powerful medicinal effects. It can be used for nervous disorders and hysteria, but is also highly narcotic,” answered Telara. “It takes four years for the plant to reach maturity. They need fertilization with dragon dung and good drainage to flourish. And because it blooms in winter, it is also known as the Christmas Rose.”

“Very good,” praised Professor Sprout. “Can anyone guess what we will be doing with them today? Miss Granger?”

“Since we are in autumn, I expect we will be collecting the roots and drying them so the powder can be used by Madam Pomfrey,” Hermione answered.

“Excellent!” exclaimed Professor Sprout. “Now, why did I wait until your seventh year to expose you to this plant?”

There was a silence as Hermione wondered what they had missed. Neville started flipping quickly through his textbook. Telara’s hand returned to the air.

“Hellebore is poisonous,” she began. “The fresh root is a violent irritant if it touches your skin. Also, the dry powder causes intense sneezing.”

“Exactly,” continued Professor Sprout. “Ten points to Gryffindor for each of you. You’ll each have to wear protective gloves and robes while harvesting the Hellebore. Make sure you do not rub your eyes or face while working or you’ll be spending the afternoon in the hospital wing.”

Professor Sprout then demonstrated the way to harvest and cut the roots for proper drying.

“First, you remove the root from the plant. Do not put the plant into the mulch bin. Its poison will ruin the rest of the mulch. Just pile them up for burning. You then cut the root into thin slices. Next, lay them out here on the drying racks. Please do not move the racks. They are where they are to catch the sun. Next class we will be turning the dried roots into powder. Now get to work! There’s plenty to do.”

Hermione and Neville made sure to work with Telara so they could talk to her.

“How did you know that about Hellebore?” asked Neville.

“My Nana was extremely protective of me while I was learning Potion-making at home. I learned that while she was explaining why I couldn’t have any to make the Draught of Peace. I still had to memorize the potion since it might have popped up on the O.W.L.,” Telara explained.

“You took O.W.L.S.?” inquired Hermione.

“Oh, yes,” responded Telara. “I thought I’d have a nervous breakdown before it was all over. A whole mess of people came to my house to test me.”

“Wow!” exclaimed Neville. “Are you good at Potions, too?”

“It’s my favorite subject,” declared Telara. “I can’t wait to try N.E.W.T. level potions this year. Will you be in Potions too?”

“Oh no!” said Neville. “I’m a disaster in Potions. I stopped taking it as soon as I could! I finally stopped having nightmares about Professor Snape this summer.”

Telara stifled a giggle and nodded sympathetically at Neville even though she had no idea why he would have nightmares about a Professor.

Class ended and the Gryffindors made their way to Hagrid’s hut for Care of Magical Creatures. Telara found herself checking her speed as she kept getting ahead of her classmates in her anxiousness. She hadn’t been able to have much hands-on experience with Magical Creatures. Most of her education on the subject had been through reading and a lot of it. Hagrid was standing on the edge of the Forbidden Forest eagerly waiting for his class.

“What does this oaf think he can teach seventh years?” snapped Draco.

Telara looked to her left to find Ron clenching his jaw and fists. On her right, Hermione was reaching for her wand.

Luckily, Hagrid did not hear the outburst and started the lesson without incident.

“This year, we’ll be studying creatures that will be on your N.E.W.T. exam,” announced Hagrid. “Some of these creatures will be more dangerous then the ones you have studied before, but I know you’ll be able to handle them.”

“More dangerous than that ridiculous hippogriff?” snarled Draco under his breath.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione snapped their heads around to glare at Draco. He glared right back as if daring them to do something about it.

“Professor Dumbledore wants you to learn about creatures that You-know-who might have on his side,” continued Hagrid. A collective shudder passed through the class as Voldemort was mentioned.

“So, I’m taking you into the forest today to meet someone,” Hagrid continued. “Please stay calm as we approach him. He’s a lot tamer than he looks.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged shocked glances. They seemed to be the only ones who knew what Hagrid was talking about.

“No!” whispered Ron.

“He wouldn’t!” insisted Hermione.

“Oh, yes, he would. And I’m pretty sure he is,” observed Harry as he led the class into the forest beside Hagrid.

Telara was intrigued as everyone else walked into the woods behind Hagrid and Harry.

They walked for quite a while though the forest. The class was creating quite a commotion as they trudged through the newly falling leaves. For the middle of the morning, the forest was quite dark but there was a source of light ahead. They came upon a section that had once been dense with trees. It had been cleared fairly recently with most stumps pulled up and piled at the edge of the area near a crude but enormous hut. Again, Harry, Hermione, and Ron looked at each other with dread. Hagrid stopped and turned to the class.

“Today, we are going to talk about giants. As you probably know, wizards and giants have never really gotten along. They don’t trust us with our magic and we don’t trust their hostile and warring nature. You-know-who recruited them and sent them on some of the worst Muggle killing sprees that ever were. Since his first defeat, they had been hiding in the mountains of Europe. We expect that You-Know-Who will be trying to get them back on his side again. I want you to know what to do in case you run up against a giant. The best advantage you’ll have is quick thinking. There’s not much you can do to fight a giant. Your best bet is to get away, and get away quick,” Hagrid advised.

It was then that Telara noticed the ground shaking. The class erupted in panicked whispers.

“Everyone stay where you are. No loud noises or quick movement,” demanded Hagrid.

Those words were hardly out of Hagrid’s mouth when a sixteen-foot giant walked through the trees into the clearing. Hagrid’s words were obeyed only because everyone was frozen where they stood with their mouths open in shock.

“Hagger!” greeted Grawp.

“Hello, Grawp,” said Hagrid. “This is my class that I told you about. Do you remember?”

“Yes,” answered Grawp. “Where Hermy?”

Everyone turned their stares to Hermione as she walked up to Hagrid to greet her large friend.

“Here I am, Grawp,” called Hermione. “Hi!”

“Hi, Hermy,” said Grawp. “Look what I got!”

Grawp held up the deer that he had caught for lunch. Hermione gulped down the gagging feeling in her throat.

“That’s good, Grawp,” she managed. “Well done!”

Grawp gave Hermione a big smile before he went into his hut to prepare his lunch. He didn’t even seem to recognize that there were a few dozen terrified students behind his brother and friend.

“Well, let’s get out of the forest so we can discuss what we’ve learned just now,” ordered Hagrid.

Hagrid had never seen his instructions carried out so quickly. His class sped out of the forest as if they had a Death Eater on their heels.

When they got to the edge of the forest, some of the students dropped to the ground half out of exhaustion from the bolt out of the forest and half from relief that they were away from Grawp.

“That’s a good idea,” said Hagrid, oblivious to his students’ real reasons for collapsing. “Let’s sit and talk.”

Harry chuckled and shook his head. Only Hagrid could be so casual about a giant living in the forest.

“Hagrid?” questioned Dean Thomas. “Why is there a giant in the forest and how does he know you?”

“Well, I guess that’s a good place to start,” answered Hagrid. “Grawp is my brother. I found him and brought him back so I could take care of him.”

“Take care of HIM?” interrupted Seamus. “I don’t know, Hagrid. He looks like he could take care of himself.”

“Actually,” responded Hagrid, “he’s a bit small for a giant. He’s been learning a lot and isn’t nearly the as bad as when he got here.”

“What exactly were we supposed to learn from our little trip to see that thing?” snapped Draco.

“I wanted you to see what I was sure would be your first live giant,” stated Hagrid. “You’ve had that shock while you’re safe and protected. Maybe now if you were to see one, you can keep your wits about you. That’s what you were supposed to learn.”

Everyone was quiet while they considered what Hagrid had said. It made sense, really. Hagrid let them mull over this for a while before he sent them on their way back to the castle for lunch. The shock of the lesson seemed to be wearing off as the class trekked back up to the castle.

“Well, that went better than I thought possible,” proclaimed Ron as they sat down in the Great Hall.

“I agree,” added Hermione with a big sigh.

“Well, at least it kept Malfoy quiet for most of the class,” interjected Harry.

The adrenaline rush that had been provided by Grawp had made everybody ravenous. After they were sufficiently stuffed, Hermione and Telara made their way to Arithmancy as Harry and Ron went to Divination.

The afternoon was positively serene after their experience in the forest. Telara proved to Hermione that she would indeed need assistance in Arithmancy. Hermione didn’t think Telara was too far behind where she should be. She was actually a bit glad that there would be at least one class where she would still have the upper hand. She liked Telara but she also liked being the best student at Hogwarts. They were in the Great Hall for dinner going over their first lesson when Ron and Harry sat down across from them.

“Well, I’m glad this day is over,” stated Ron.

“I’m happy that we don’t have too much homework to do tonight,” added Harry.

“Well, you two better stay caught up this year,” nagged Hermione. “There’s a lot at stake and you’ll have Quidditch on top of that!”

“That’s true. And that reminds me. Did you see the new plays I came up with for the Slytherin game, Harry?” asked Ron.

“Oh no!” exclaimed Hermione. “I should have never brought up Quidditch. They’ll talk of nothing else for the rest of the evening.”

Telara chuckled at her new friend’s frustration. It was hard enough to keep a boy’s attention without sports coming into play. She tucked away her impression that Hermione’s frustration with Ron ran a little deeper than Quidditch in the back of her mind. She didn’t feel comfortable enough with her to bring up something so personal just yet.

Telara followed her housemates to Gryffindor Tower and plopped down on the sofa in front of the fireplace. It seemed like a cozy place to get some reading done. She just hoped she could stay awake while so warm and comfortable. Neville and Hermione joined her with books of their own. After a couple hours of studying, Telara was struggling to keep her eyes open. She rose from the sofa and stretched her back.

“Are you going to bed?” asked Hermione.

“I think I am,” answered Telara. “It’s been quite an eventful day.”

“Yes, it has,” said Hermione. “I won’t be too far behind you.”

“Good night, everyone,” called Telara.

A chorus of good nights followed as Telara made her way up to the Girls’ Dormitory. She thankfully slipped into her soft bed as she went over the events of the day. Her last thought was of a certain blonde boy who despite his boorish nature had caught her interest. Telara could never resist a good challenge.




I would like to thank my beta reader, bekkio, for her advice and encouragement. Please R& R! I would love to know what you think.

AN: Information about Hellebore was found at http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/helbla14.html
Dark Arts and the Potions Master by Jenn_Weasley
All was quiet in the seventh-year girls’ dorm when Telara woke up. She looked at the clock by the door to discover that she had almost slept through breakfast. She quickly dressed and rushed down to the Great Hall. She found her way with only one small detour into a wrong corridor. She was actually pretty proud of herself for navigating her way to the Great Hall and didn’t even mind having to wolf down her toast before rushing to Defence Against the Dark Arts.



Getting to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom was another matter altogether. As Telara left the Great Hall, she had no idea of which way to turn. Her frustration was growing as the seconds ticked by. She hated being helpless!



Telara noticed a kindly looking wizard in a portrait near the Great Hall doors. She took the advice Dumbledore had given her on her first day at Hogwarts and approached the portrait for directions.



“Excuse me, sir,” Telara began.



“What can I do for you?” offered the wizard.



“Could you tell me how to get to Professor Lupin’s classroom?” asked Telara.



“Aren’t you a little old to not know your way around?” questioned the wizard.



It was not the response Telara needed at that moment. Before she could stop her herself, she lashed out at the unsuspecting portrait.



“Actually, this is my first year at Hogwarts. And I’m going to be late to class if you don’t stop questioning me,” snapped Telara.



The wizard looked affronted at this response, but composed himself before walking into the portrait to his left. He rarely got the chance to do anything useful and was glad to help even if the person in need was a bit cranky.



Telara just stood there as the portrait lost its inhabitant and wondered what she was going to do next. All she knew for sure was that she was not going to cry!



“Don’t just stand there,” commanded the wizard. “Come on!”



Telara breathed a sigh of relief as she walked quickly to keep up with the wizard who was hurrying through the portraits that hung along the corridor. When they arrived at the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, Telara took a minute to catch her breath and thank the wizard for his help. The wizard gave her a gracious bow as he headed back for his portrait.



Professor Lupin had returned the previous year to his teaching post. In the backlash against Doloris Umbridge, the Ministry of Magic had repealed many of the anti-werewolf laws that she had initiated. Remus was enjoying the benefits of a slightly less hostile attitude towards his kind while it lasted. If some parents had doubts, their children stood up for their favorite Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and his appointment went smoothly. Hogwarts finally had a Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor who was well liked and very good at his job.



Telara entered the classroom just as Professor Lupin rose from his seat to begin his lecture. She quickly took the seat nearest to her without noticing who was sitting next to her.



Her heart jumped into her throat as her neighbor hissed into her ear. “I was starting to get my hopes up that you had run home crying to your Mother.”



Telara turned to find that she had chosen a seat next to the one person she least wanted to see in the world.



She glared at him as she returned his hiss, “Actually, Malfoy, I am enjoying myself very much here. Maybe you would too if you could find some real friends.”



Once again, Draco was speechless. He hated that more than the fact that he hadn’t been able to stop thinking of her since he confronted her in the Great Hall the previous morning.



They both turned to Professor Lupin as he addressed the class.



“Welcome back to Defence Against the Dark Arts. We are in for quite a year as I prepare you for your N.E.W.T. exam. You will to learn to defend yourself against some of the more dangerous curses and hexes. As you well know, these are important to learn for reasons other than this class.”



The class started murmuring as they agreed with Professor Lupin. Telara looked over to see Draco smirking as he felt the anxiety that passed through the class. She did not like the cold feeling that was developing in the pit of her stomach as she looked at him.



“I also want to try something new this year,” continued Professor Lupin. “I want you to develop your physical as well as magical strength this year. We will be training our bodies to withstand whatever trials it may be put through in the upcoming war.”



The murmurs turned into grumbling as the class realized what was in store for them.



“We will start with running. I want you to be able to get out of a situation should the need arise. You will also be more prepared to fight if you are not exhausted from physical exertion.”



“I’m not running from anything!” exclaimed Harry.



“I’m not suggesting that anyone would be running in fear, Harry,” calmly replied Professor Lupin. “I just want you to have an advantage over Death Eaters who might be older or inactive. I’m sure that you’ll agree that any advantage would be desirable.”



Harry nodded his concurrence with Professor Lupin’s statement though his eyes still flared with defiance.



Neville looked like he was about to lose his breakfast as Professor Lupin continued detailing the program.



“We will be running every morning of the school week, half an hour before breakfast. That time will increase as your ability does.”



Groans filled the room as Hermione and Seamus mumbled something about P.E. Professor Lupin seemed undaunted by the protests and began his lecture on advanced curse blocking.



“I know most of you know about the Shield Charm,” started Professor Lupin. “I want it to be automatic to you. The more we practice, the stronger your shield will be. Pair up. The only hexes I want used are the rope-binding spell, the Disarming Spell, or the Tickling Charm. If any other hexes or jinxs are used, I will personally be giving an extremely unpleasant detention to the casters of those spells. Please begin.”



To Telara’s horror, everyone was paired up except Malfoy who was smiling at her in an unsettling way. The two did not even hear the cries of “Rictusempra!” and “Expelliarmus!” around them. Telara readied herself for Draco’s curse.



Incarcerous!” Draco shouted.



Protego!” responded Telara.



The ropes that shot out of Draco’s wand were deflected by Telara’s shield. She heaved a deep sigh of relief. She was about to attempt to disarm Draco when he hit her with a second spell.



Rictusempra!” yelled Draco.



This time, Telara was caught off-guard. She dropped to her knees with laughter. She tried with all her might to strike back at Draco but couldn’t catch her breath long enough to speak.



Draco knelt down beside Telara. Telara’s laughter betrayed the fear that was building in her as Draco got closer. Draco grabbed the back of her neck to pull her back up. The second his hand met her neck, he was thrown across the room.



All activity in the room stopped suddenly as Draco flew through the air. They all looked at Telara but she was still in hysterics in the floor.



Finite Incantatem!” bellowed Professor Lupin.



Telara stayed on the floor trying to catch her breath while the class muttered excitedly to each other.



“Well, everyone,” remarked Professor Lupin. “You have just witnessed a Defensive Charge. While rarely controllable, the Defensive Charge can get you out of a sticky situation just when you think there is no hope. Mr. Malfoy just discovered its effects the hard way.”



Professor Lupin offered his hand to Draco to help him up but it was refused. He clumsily unfurled himself from his robes and stalked over to Crabbe and Goyle. Draco had a murderous glare as Professor Lupin wisely took the focus off of him.



“I want two feet on Shield Charms and Hex Deflection turned in next class. You’ve done a good job today. Well done! I will see you all on the front steps of the castle tomorrow morning for our first run.”



No one was quite ready to leave class. That had been quite fun. Then the thought of Professor McGonagall’s face if they were all late for class motivated them to make their way to her classroom.



Telara was deeper in thought than the others. She had not quite realized what the wizarding world was facing. Now that she was in the midst of it, it worried her quite a bit. And now she had to add the new concern over a possible retaliation from Draco. It was quite a lot to take in.



Professor McGonagall had a full lesson planned for their first day. They knew they were in for a tough hour when they smelled the horses upon entering the classroom. The Professor explained that they would be transfiguring the horses into chaise lounges. When the class gave a collective groan, she responded that they had N.E.W.T.’s for which they must prepare. Transfiguring something as large as a horse was going to be very taxing and after their first class, no one thought they had the brain power to do it.



Hermione volunteered to try first. She did an excellent job. She even managed to produce a chaise with a beautiful violet color. Telara was apprehensive about performing a spell on a horse. She thought of her horse back home in Texas and what he would think if she attempted to transfigure him. He probably wouldn’t let her ride him for a good month. She smiled to herself at this thought as she said the incantation. She managed a chaise as well though hers was still brown and had a faint horse smell to it.



The class did well considering it was their first day back. The tension seemed to lift as everyone was reasonably successful at their task. The mood got even lighter as Seamus got bucked off his chaise as he attempted to lay on it. When class was over, the exhausted and now famished students made their way to the Great Hall for lunch.



After a few sandwiches and some pumpkin juice, the Gryffindors started to recover and conversation picked up. They were muttering about having potions for the rest of the afternoon. Telara didn’t know what everyone was so apprehensive about. She loved potion-making and couldn’t wait to see what the potions master had to teach. She mentioned as much to her housemates.



“You may like potion-making, but you won’t like Snape,” said Ron.



“He can’t be that bad,” responded Telara.



“Oh, yes he can,” muttered Harry.



After lunch, the students started making their way to their afternoon classes. Telara had to wait on her housemates to show her the way to Snape’s dungeons. She was forced to be patient as they dragged their feet in an attempt to delay the inevitable.



The dungeons seemed a bit dark and dank to Telara, but she didn’t mind. She sat behind a cauldron with Ron and waited.



Professor Snape entered in his usual sweeping manner and the class fell silent. He looked around the classroom with a highly displeased look on his face.



“So this is my ‘advanced’ potions class,” Snape sneered. “I certainly did not expect all of you to make it this far.” His gaze fell on Harry as he made the comment.



“You will have to convince me that I am not wasting my time and effort with you. I demand that you apply yourselves this year to obtain your N.E.W.T. I will be displeased if any of you fail in this goal.”



“Today you will be attempting to concoct a Mandrake Restorative Draught. While this is a highly complex potion, I expect you all to be able to handle it. If you can’t, you are welcome to leave.” Again, Snape set his gaze on Harry.



As Harry challenged Snape’s glare, Telara began to understand what everyone was talking about at lunch. This was not the kindly and supportive type of professor that Telara had seen so far at Hogwarts. She just hoped she wouldn’t be the one to disappoint him.



Snape waved his wand at the blackboard to reveal the ingredients and procedure for brewing the potion.



1. Chop the Mandrake root into small (the size of a wandtip), uniform pieces.

2. Place cauldron over a high flame.

3. Once cauldron is extremely hot, add ginger infused oil into the cauldron.

4. When the oil starts bubbling, add 12 ½ grams of salamander blood and stir counterclockwise for 10 minutes.

5. Add the chopped mandrake root and stir clockwise for 30 minutes.

6. Add 1 liter of water and watch for a boil.

7. As soon as the potion reaches a boil, reduce heat to one quarter strength.

8. Stir one stroke clockwise every five minutes (precisely) for an hour.

9. Take cauldron off of the heat.

10. Do not stir again. The potion must be at rest for 10 minutes before ready to administer.





Telara started right away. This was the class she had been looking forward to the most since she found out she would be attending Hogwarts. She set Ron to the task of chopping the mandrakes while she prepared the base of the potion. He wasn’t too bad at getting the mandrake cut into just right for the potion.



Snape shadowed the students as they attempted to work under his excruciatingly intense attention.



He stopped at Telara and Ron’s cauldron ready to criticize. Fortunately, he saw nothing wrong with the potion in front of him. In fact, it was quite good. He did not want to show his satisfaction, however. Weasley was part of this team after all.



Telara smiled at Professor Snape. She knew her potion was flawless and expected to be praised. Snape did not offer praise, of course. He rarely felt pride in his students and was not accustomed to rewarding good work. He was taken by surprise by his new student. Normally, his students would tremble before him or at the most only offer a patronizing grin. Telara’s demeanor was quite calm and her smile seemed completely genuine. Professor Snape refused to like this student. There was no room in his life for fondness.



Snape spun on his heel and returned to his desk at the front of the room.



“Everyone will bottle a sample of your draught. I will determine if you managed anything restorative. Miss Granger, Miss Ollivander and Mister Malfoy will leave your cauldrons. Your potions can be used by Madam Pomfrey should the need arise. I want two feet on Wolfsbane and its preparation for the next class. If you show any aptitude at it, maybe I won’t have to bother preparing it for your Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor.”



Snape seemed to despise saying the word Professor in reference to Remus Lupin. The class took down their assignment and exited the classroom as quickly as they could. They were as glad to be done with the class as Professor Snape was in getting rid of his students for the day.



Dinner was a pleasant affair. Everyone was glad to be done with double potions. Even their mounting homework could not damper their sense of freedom for the evening. Telara walked with Neville back to the common room. Neville took the chance to find out how she endured the potions master.



“Really, Neville, I don’t see what all the fuss is about,” said Telara.



“What? You couldn’t tell what nasty git he is?” challenged Neville.



“I don’t know if nasty is the word I’d use to describe him, but he didn’t seem all that bad to me. He’s little irritable perhaps, but I can deal with that,” responded Telara.



“Just give it time, Telara. You’ll see,” said Neville.



Telara thought the boy was overreacting and tried to think of something that would put them back on more amiable ground.



“So how did you get interested in Herbology, Neville?” asked Telara.



A good hour of Telara’s evening was then devoted to the story of Neville and his love for Herbology. Telara saw her chance for rescue when Parvati and Lavender came through the portrait hole. She gave them a wave and what she hoped Neville wouldn’t read for a “Help Me!” look.



Parvati and Lavender did fortunately understand that look. They too had been caught by Neville and lured into a mind-numbing discussion of one sort of plant life or another.



“Hi, Telara,” said Parvati. “Would you come upstairs and help me with a little dilemma?”



Telara stood quickly as Neville offered his help to the situation.



“I’m afraid it’s girl stuff,” explained Lavender.



“Enough said,” said Neville as he rushed to the other side of the room where a group of boys sat playing Exploding Snap.



The girls giggled as they raced up to their dorm room.



When the door was safely shut, Telara plopped down on her bed.



“Thank you so much!” she sighed.



“You’re welcome,” responded Parvati. “Any time!”



The girls attempted some homework before giving up and experimenting with curling charms on each other’s hair. They knew it was getting late when Hermione came in with a fatigued look in her eye that comes from reading too much for too long.



The girls got ready for bed. Telara made sure to charm her pillow to wake her up on time in the morning. She didn’t want to repeat this morning’s mad rush about the castle.



The roommates fell asleep quickly and dreamed of Yule Balls and boys. They had no clue of the things that were being planned by dark and revengeful wizards at that very moment.

The Calm Before the Storm by Jenn_Weasley
Telara’s first term at Hogwarts continued along relatively smoothly. Even with Hermione’s help, she was still terrible in Arithmancy. But she didn't feel nearly as lost as she usually did. She liked her other classes much better. She was learning so much even though it seemed her brain would explode sometimes. What she cherished more than anything was having friends with whom she could be totally open and honest.

The students had finally become accustomed to running every morning. Telara wasn’t entirely sure Neville was going to survive the first week. But he did and surprisingly seemed to be almost enjoying himself during the runs. Telara began to enjoy running about the school grounds herself as her body became adjusted to the routine.

Her new friends still thought she was crazy for enjoying Potions. Her enthusiasm had not diminished in the least. Telara suspected that Professor Snape had actually come to respect her skill though he would never ever admit it. He had even selected Telara to make Professor Lupin’s Wolfsbane Potion for the first full moon of the school year. She was confident that she had done a good job, but she was still anxious to see Professor Lupin after the full moon to make sure he was alright. His weary but bright smile upon rejoining the school gave Telara the assurance she needed.

The first Quidditch game of the season was an incredible experience for Telara. She had no idea of how fast and exciting a real game would be. Seamus told her that professional Quidditch was even faster but Telara couldn’t quite imagine that yet.

Gryffindor won its first game against Ravenclaw easily. Harry caught the Snitch only five minutes into the game. Ron didn’t get to block even one scoring attempt.

The next game against Slytherin would be another matter entirely. Ron and Harry were out late many nights practicing and spying on the Slytherin practice sessions. The December game was soon upon them.

Ron had done an excellent job as team Captain and Keeper. Harry had been offered the position of co-captain along side Ron, but he declined wanting his friend to have the spotlight to himself for once. He was proud of how well Ron was managing the team.

Ron’s new plays worked quite well against Slytherin. After half an hour of play, he had let in only one goal. Harry was circling the Pitch in search of the Golden Snitch. It was being quite elusive. Telara saw that Malfoy kept on Harry’s tail instead of looking for the Snitch himself.

Not so brilliant after all, are you Malfoy? Telara thought.

The score was staying pretty low. The Slytherins were using all means possible to waylay the Gryffindor Chasers. The Gryffindors protested when Goyle sent a bludger at Ginny’s head. But she dodged it and still managed to score a goal.

All of a sudden, Harry sped off toward the Gryffindor goals. Malfoy took off after him. Telara saw the snitch about twenty feet in front of Harry. Harry’s Firebolt was doing a great job of catching up to it, but Malfoy’s Nimbus 2001 was close behind him. Both had to perform a quick U-turn as the Snitch sped back toward the Slytherin goals. This put Malfoy even with Harry in the chase. Neither Seeker was able to reach for the Snitch. They were too busy trying to knock each other off their broomsticks. As they flew within inches of the Gryffindors, everyone gasped and braced for possible impact. Telara was the first to recover from the shock and shouted “Go Harry!”

Without even thinking about it, Malfoy turned to glare at the familiar voice. This gave Harry the advantage he needed. He put on an extra burst of speed and plucked the Snitch out of the air. The Gryffindors went wild as their team descended to the ground and began celebrating their victory.

The Slytherin team slinked back to the locker rooms. Malfoy was furious as he changed back into his school robes. There was no way he would take the blame for losing the game for Slytherin.

It’s that damn American’s fault for pulling my focus, he seethed as he slammed his locker closed.

The rest of Gryffindor house rushed out on the field to congratulate their team. Telara found Ron first and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before he was lifted onto the shoulders of his dorm mates. As he and Harry were carried back up to the school, Telara couldn’t believe that she had kissed Ron.

What got into me? she wondered.

The common room barely held the victory party that continued until early the next morning. Fred and George would have been proud. Around midnight, Ron came across Telara in the midst of the crowd. Both were flushed with the warmth of the room and the surprise of seeing each other.

“Well done, Ron,” managed Telara.

“Thank you,” grinned Ron. “Can I ask you a question?”

All Telara could force out of her brain was a nod.

“Would you go to Hogsmeade with me next weekend?” asked Ron.

Telara couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face. “I would love to!”

“Great! I’ll see you,” Ron began before half of the Gryffindor team grabbed him by the back of his robes and pulled him to the stairs to make a speech.

“Well,” Ron began, “Thanks so much for your support. We couldn’t be such a great team without all of you. The Quidittich Cup will be ours again this year!”

The room erupted in cheers as the celebration kicked back up again. Telara wasn’t able to find Ron again in the crowded room and settled for girl talk with Parvati and Lavender by the fire.

The girls decided it was bedtime around two o’clock in the morning. As they made their way toward the stairs, Hermione joined them. Once they reached the quiet of the room, the conversation gravitated to the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend.

“Does everyone have dates for this weekend?” asked Parvati.

“I’ll be going with Ernie, of course,” said Lavender.

“I still can’t believe you’re dating him,” interjected Parvati. “I really can’t believe he had the courage to ask you out in the first place.”

“Let’s just say I gave him the right inspiration,” Lavender responded with a suggestive gleam in her eye.

“Ewwwww,” responded the other girls. “Too much information!”

The giggling continued for the next few minutes as they struggled to suppress it.

“Well, Hermione, I’m sure you’re going with Ron and Harry. What about you, Telara?” she asked.

“Oh, well,” she began as she looked at Hermione nervously. “Ron asked me to go with him so I guess I’ll be joining you.”

The room became deathly silent. It seemed like an eternity passed before Telara decided to break the tension.

“So, Parvati, who are you going with?” she asked.

“Um…um,” mumbled Parvati. She was not sure they should stay on the topic. Hermione looked like she might lose it any second. “I’m going with Terry. He caught up with me after the Quidditch game and asked me.”

“Well, it should just be a wonderful weekend then,” mumbled Hermione before she walked dejectedly out of the room.

“I was afraid of that,” revealed Telara. “She fancies Ron, doesn’t she?”

The other girls nodded in agreement. Everyone looked distracted as they got settled in for the night.

Hermione stormed back in the room and headed quickly for her bed.

“Hermione,” Telara began.

“I’m tired and really don’t want to talk right now,” sighed Hermione as she pulled the curtains around her bed closed.

When Telara woke up the next day, Hermione had already left the room. Telara made sure her roommates know that she hadn’t meant to upset her.

“We know,” responded Lavender.

“Ron’s the one who asked you out. It’s not your fault,” added Parvati.

“Well, I still feel bad. Do you think Ron likes her too?” asked Telara.

“I always thought he did,” answered Lavender. “But if he’s asking you out maybe he’s given up on her.”

“Let’s go,” said Parvati. “They’re going to start running without us.”

I am so stupid! Telara berated herself. How am I going to get out of this mess?

The girls got down the front steps just as everyone started off on the run. They stretched a bit before bringing up the rear of the group. Telara saw Hermione at the very front with Neville. She didn’t think she would be able to catch her without losing her breath and the ability to speak in the process.

By the time the Telara, Parvati and Lavendar got back to Gryffindor tower to clean up for breakfast, Hermione was already out the portrait hole.

When the girls arrived in the Great Hall, Telara spotted Hermione and started towards her. Telara was glad that she didn’t seem to notice her entrance. She was sure Hermione would run off if she noticed her heading that way. She had almost gotten to Hermione when she heard a leering voice shout at her across the room.

“I suppose you think you’re a big hero now!”

Telara froze as Hermione suddenly became aware of her presence. Hermione grabbed her things and ran off as Malfoy approached Telara.

“You have bloody perfect timing, you know that, Malfoy?” Telara shouted.

“Didn’t you hear what I said?” challenged Malfoy.

“Not really and I’m not really interested in knowing,” retorted Telara as she ran back out of the Great Hall to find Hermione.

Draco Malfoy was not used to being cast aside. He was used to everyone hanging on his every word and satisfying his every whim. Telara greatly unsettled him and he didn’t like it one bit.

Telara searched the staircase and surrounding corridors for Hermione. There was no sign of her anywhere.

She is fast! thought Telara.

Telara was so busy looking for Hermione that she arrived at the greenhouse barely in time for class. Hermione ended up working with a couple of Hufflepuff girls so Telara couldn’t talk with her. She tried to catch her after class, but Hermione eluded her again.

As she approached Hagrid’s hut for Care of Magical Creatures, Telara spotted Hermione inside Hagrid’s hut. She didn’t come outside until Hagrid started teaching so Telara couldn’t talk to her yet again.

When the class ended, she barely caught sight of Hermione practically sprinting up to the castle. As Telara stood there not quite sure all this effort was worth it, Ron and Harry came up beside her.

“What’s wrong with her?” asked Ron.

“You probably did something, Ron,” joked Harry.

“I swear I didn’t. I’m innocent this time,” declared Ron.

Telara couldn’t quite bring herself to explain the situation to Ron and Harry. She had enough aggravation in her life at the moment. She didn’t want to rehash the whole thing.

They walked back up to the Great Hall for lunch. Hermione wasn’t there.

Well, she won’t be able to avoid me in Arithmancy. Telara vowed to herself.

Telara ate quickly and made her way to the Arithmancy classroom. Hermione sat on the floor beside the door reading a book. She looked up when she heard Telara’s footsteps. She sighed deeply and turned her head back to her book.

Telara sat down in front of Hermione on the floor.

“I’m sorry I’ve upset you,” said Telara. “I won’t go if you don’t want me to.”

“I know you are. I’ll be fine,” quietly responded Hermione, “We’ll have fun showing you around Hogsmeade.”

Hermione’s smile and words seemed a bit forced, but right now Telara would take what she could get.

“Thank you, Hermione,” whispered Telara as the corridor filled with students coming from lunch.

Even though Hermione was not openly avoiding Telara anymore, there was still tension between the two as they sat through Arithmancy and headed to dinner.

Ron and Harry were already stuffing themselves in the Great Hall when Telara and Hermione joined them.

“Goodness, boys,” scolded Hermione. “Are we hungry?”

“Well, you must be feeling better,” commented Ron.

“I feel just fine. Thank you very much,” responded Hermione.

Dinner was its usual lively affair with everyone discussing their day and complaining about their mounting piles of homework. Telara was relieved that she had survived the day with her friendship with Hermione intact. It may not be quite healthy again, but intact nevertheless.

The rest of the week passed by quickly and before Telara realized it, it was Friday evening. Ron found Telara studying on the sofa by the fire and sat down next to her.

“You want to meet for breakfast in the morning before we head to Hogsmeade?” asked Ron.

“That would be nice,” answered Telara.

“Good! Well, I’ll meet you down here at eight o’clock then,” said Ron, “Good night.”

“Good night,” echoed Telara.

Once Ron was gone, Telara got up and found Hermione in their room.

“I just spoke with Ron. We’re meeting for breakfast at eight. I hope you and Harry will be there too,” said Telara.

“Yeah, we’ll be there,” responded Hermione.

Hermione didn’t sound too enthusiastic, but Telara didn't want to screw things up with Hermione again so she didn't push it.

Despite her apprehension, Telara was excited to explore the village she had only seen briefly through a carriage window. She was exhausted after her emotionally charged day and fell asleep quickly.




Telara woke early the next morning. She was ready for her first real trip to Hogsmeade. It didn’t take her as long as she would have liked to get showered and dressed. She still had an hour to burn before it was time to meet Ron. She headed downstairs to find something to help pass the time. She sat down in front of the now empty fireplace and attempted to read her Transfiguration textbook.

“Couldn’t sleep in either?” asked Ron.

Telara jumped a couple of inches off the sofa in her surprise at hearing Ron’s voice. They both laughed as Ron sat down next to her.

“Do you have any idea what you want to do in Hogsmeade?” asked Ron.

“Nope. I’m just going to let you show me the popular spots. I’m all yours,” Telara answered.

Ron blushed as thoughts crossed his mind that he wouldn’t dare express. They sat and talked until Hermione and then Harry came downstairs.

“Well, let’s eat!” exclaimed Ron.

“Yeah. Let’s get some real food before we buy out Honeydukes,” added Harry.

The girls fell in behind Ron and Harry as they walked out of the portrait hole. Telara glanced at Hermione but couldn’t quite determine her mood.

If she’s upset, she’s putting on a good face to hide it, thought Telara.

Telara still couldn’t believe there was a village that consisted of only wizards. She had a few galleons left from her visit to Gringott's and was ready to shop.

The boys insisted that Zonko’s be their first stop. Hermione rolled her eyes as she gave in to their exuberance. Telara was impressed by the joke shop. She still liked the Weasley’s store better, but this one was fun too. Telara got some mischievous ideas of what she could do to Malfoy, but decided that ignoring him would be the better option.

Ron and Harry both had their arms full as they headed for the register. Telara and Hermione both shook their heads wondering if boys would ever change, but hoping deep down that they really wouldn’t.

Telara was much more impressed by Honeydukes. She laughed when she saw the ice mice candy.

So Papadore’s sweet tooth rules his choice of passwords, chuckled Telara to herself.

Hermione and Telara got their revenge by making Ron and Harry go into Wizard’s Gladrags. The boys looked bored to death as Telara and Hermione tried on as many robes as they could. When the girls were sure they had tortured the boys to their breaking points, they suggested that they were ready for lunch. Ron and Harry leapt from their chairs and practically ran out of the store.

They entered the Three Broomsticks and managed to grab a table. Ron sat next to Telara but she took care not to sit to close. She didn’t want to trouble Hermione when they were having such a nice time. Ron, Harry and Hermione took turns telling Telara about their adventures during their first six years at Hogwarts.

The group split up once they entered a gift store. Each seemed to have the others’ Christmas presents in mind and wanted a bit of privacy to buy them. They met up outside each holding big bags full of gifts.

“Well, my list is finished for the day,” stated Hermione.

“You had a list! No way!” scoffed Ron.

“Very funny, Ronald. Do you want to see the Shrieking Shack, Telara?” asked Hermione.

“Ooh, yes! After the stories you’ve told, I have to see it in person,” Telara replied.

The group started off down the street in the direction of the Shrieking Shack. They would have to hurry since the sun would be setting soon. As they passed an alley, Telara caught someone watching them out the corner of her eye. She looked around just in time to see a black cape swish out of view. She stomach took a sudden plunge but she talked herself out of being scared of something she wasn’t entirely sure she saw correctly.

As they approached the fence surrounding the grounds of the Shrieking Shack, Telara felt a sense of dread permeate her. She didn’t know why she was afraid. The trio had told her how the Shrieking Shack had gotten its reputation for being haunted. She had no reason to fear it. She felt herself trembling slightly as Ron came up beside her and put his arm around her shoulders.

“Are you okay?” he asked. “You look a little freaked out.”

“I don’t know,” responded Telara. “Something just feels wrong around here. I can’t figure out what it is.”

At that moment, they heard movement in the trees and turned to see the source. They briefly saw a hooded figure in black before it disappeared deeper into the trees.

“I saw that person as we were leaving the village. I think he’s following us,” said Telara.

“Harry, Hermione, let’s go!” commanded Ron as he whipped out his wand. “Right now!”

“What’s going on?” demanded Harry as he struggled to keep up with Ron and Telara.

“Someone’s following us. We need to get back to Hogwarts,” explained Ron.

Hermione and Harry exchanged nervous glances as they too took out their wands and sped along with Ron and Telara.

They didn’t relax until their carriage passed through the gates of Hogwarts. As they headed inside, Harry proposed a plan of action.

“Ron, you get Telara to the common room. Hermione and I will go talk to Dumbledore. We’ll meet you in a little bit,” said Harry.

“Thanks mate,” said Ron.

As they went in opposite directions, Ron’s arm went back around Telara. He guided her through the portrait hole and to the sofa. Telara was glad to have him there to lean on. She snuggled up to Ron when they sat down. Ron was enjoying the smell of her hair when she sat up a bit and looked up at him.

“Thank you for everything today,” smiled Telara. “I had a wonderful time even with that scare at the end.”

“You’re welcome,” Ron whispered as he moved his face toward hers.

Telara was so tempted to give into the kiss that was coming, but the thought of Hermione’s feelings pulled her out of temptation’s way. As she pulled back from Ron, he gave her a surprised look.

“I’m sorry Ron,” gasped Telara. “I can’t.”

Ron’s face turned from surprised to puzzled as he noticed Telara struggling to breathe normally. He obviously had an effect on her. What was the problem?

“Ron, I have to tell you something. When you asked me to go to Hogsmeade with you, Hermione was just devastated. She really likes you Ron, and I think you like her too. I don’t want to stand in the way of that. You two have been through so much together and share a bond that should never be threatened,” quickly stated Telara.

Ron’s face once more changed. This time he was dumbstruck by the news that Telara had just given him.

“Do you like Hermione in that way, Ron?” Telara asked.

Ron was a bit embarrassed to be discussing this with a girl he had come within a centimeter of kissing mere seconds ago. But as he thought about her question, there was only one answer he could give her.

“Yes, I do,” admitted Ron. “I had given up after all this time. I didn’t think she could ever want me in that way.”

“Well, then, you have some thinking to do,” insisted Telara as she got up to go to her room.

“Yeah,” mumbled Ron as he started staring into the fire and processing all these new possibilities in his head.

“Good night, Ron, and good luck,” encouraged Telara as she kissed him on top of the head.

Telara laid in bed thinking about all that had happened that day. She remembered the wonderful memories she had made that day. She tried to not dwell on the fear that the hooded figure had caused. She also regretted turning down Ron even though she knew she did the right thing.

Sometimes having a conscience is a pain in the rear, she thought.

She looked up at the clock and noticed that two hours had already passed since she came up to her room. Hermione should have been back by now. She grinned to herself as she pictured what might be happening downstairs. She finally was able to turn off her mind and fall asleep just before a very happy Hermione snuck into the room.




The next morning Telara woke up very late. She was glad it was Sunday and she had the whole day to lounge around. She drowsed for a bit enjoying her warm bed and the quiet of the deserted dorm room. She eventually dragged herself out of bed at the insistence of her rumbling stomach. She put on some comfy jogging pants and sweatshirt and headed down to the common room.

Telara’s first vision as she entered the common room was a bushy head of hair in her face as Hermione flung herself upon her. She grinned as she returned Hermione’s bear hug.

“So, did you have a nice talk with Ron last night?” Telara asked in her most innocent sounding voice.

“You know good and well that I did,” replied Hermione with a big smile.

Hermione turned serious for just a minute as she looked at Telara.

“I can never thank you enough for what you did,” she stated with tears in her eyes.

“You can thank me by being happy,” responded Telara. "As long as you're not mushy all over the place," she added with a wink.

Ron walked up and took Hermione by the hand. He looked blissfully happy and any regret Telara might have been harboring vanished immediately.

The rest of the day was spent being extremely lazy in the common room. End of term exams were over and their only concern was packing for Christmas break. Telara tried to master Exploding Snap over the course of the day. When she got tired of that, she played chess with Ron. Telara found the only way she could win was if Hermione was next to Ron to distract him. He was very good at it.

The evening was spent talking by the fire. Ron and Hermione had disappeared so Harry sat with the other members of the Quidditch team going over their spectacular victory against Slytherin in precise detail. Telara half listened to them and half listened to Parvati and Lavender talk about their trips to Hogsmeade. She had dozed off when Parvati shook her shoulder around midnight.

“Time for bed?” Parvati asked.

“I guess so,” replied Telara. “How long have I been asleep?”

“Only about an hour. You missed Ron and Hermione try to sneak back into the common room,” giggled Lavender. “I guess they didn’t expect many of us to be up still.”

The girls found a flushed Hermione brushing her hair as they entered the room. Everyone tried to act normally, but it didn’t take long for the first laugh to burst out. Pretty soon, their laughter could be heard from the common room. The boys that were still up just shook their heads. They would never be able to understand girls.

The girls finally settled down and got into bed. A few more giggles erupted here and there but everyone was asleep within an hour or so.

The Gryffindors had no idea that their tower was being watched. This time the hooded man would not lose track of his prey.




Telara was almost giddy at breakfast the next morning. The Great Hall was buzzing as the students were talking about their different Christmas destinations before their departure on the Hogwarts Express.

Lavender and Parvati were spending Christmas at home with their respective families. Ron, Hermione and Harry would be staying at the Burrow for the holidays. Telara and her parents would be at her uncle’s house in London during the break.

After breakfast, the Gryffindors returned the dorms to collect their trunks before heading to the carriages that would take them to Hogsmeade.

The boys were standing in the common room waiting impatiently as the girls tugged their trunks down the stairs.

“We’re not going to get a compartment together if you don’t speed things up a bit,” complained Ron as he took Hermione’s trunk and strapped it to his own.

Hermione smiled at Ron’s chivalry as he strained to get both trunks through the portrait hole.

Despite Ron’s warning, they did find an empty compartment. Telara loved the old train instantly and cherished the entire ride back to London. They practically bought out the food cart when it came by and spent a happy afternoon eating and talking.

The view outside the window became more and more urban as they approached London. Telara was sorry the ride was ending but she was very excited to see her Nana and Gramps. She had never been away from them for this long.

When the train stopped at Platform 9 ¾, Ron and Harry got everyone’s trunks down. They said their goodbyes before leaving the train. They knew once they got on the platform, their families would demand their attention.

Once they stepped off the train, Telara searched the crowd for her Nana and Gramps. Ron, Harry, Ginny and Hermione were pulled into a big hug by a red-haired witch that had to be Ron’s mother. She pulled them towards the portal that connected the platform to the Muggle train station.

At the edge of the crowd, Edward stood with his brother and Bridget. He spotted Telara first and waved to get her attention. Telara saw him and fought her way through the crowd lugging her trunk behind her. She dropped the trunk and flung her arms around Edward’s neck.

“Telara, I can’t breathe,” gasped Edward.

“Sorry, Gramps,” smiled Telara. “I’m so glad to see you! Your turn, Nana!”

Telara took a gentler hold on Bridget.

“Happy Christmas, Nana,” Telara murmured in her ear.

“It’s a Happy Christmas now that we’re together,” responded Bridget as she pushed Telara out to arm’s length to assess the state of her daughter.

Once Bridget had determined that Telara had been well fed and well cared for, the group made their way to the portal.

Telara gave her Uncle a quick squeeze as they started walking. Since he was pulling her trunk, she would have to wait until they got to his house for a hug. There was a car waiting for them as they exited the train station. The driver took Telara’s trunk and they all fit comfortably in the magically enlarged back seat. Telara talked at top speed during the short drive to the Leaky Cauldron. She told them about arriving, Hagrid, the Sorting Hat (leaving out the warning part of it) and the feast before they arrived at the tavern.

They moved as quickly as they could through the tavern packed with last minute shoppers from Diagon Alley. The brick arch was still in place from the many witches and wizards going back and forth. Telara was thankful that her Christmas shopping was done as she fought her way through the throng toward her Uncle’s shop.

Mr. Ollivander’s home was behind and above his wand store. If you looked at it from the back, you would never guess that Diagon Alley and a store were on the other side. It was made of a rich red brick with blazing white trim. There were many windows that made the interior bright and airy. In contrast to the wand store, there was not a speck of dust or a cobweb anywhere.

“Uncle, you really should let Missy clean the shop,” commented Telara. “She does such a great job on your house.”

“I wish I could,” replied her Uncle. “But wizards get nervous when house elves have access to a wand. Much less a store full of wands.”

“Oh, I guess that’s true,” conceded Telara. “Too bad.”

Telara put the presents she bought under the tree before she let Edward take her trunk up to her room. She laid down on the bed and reveled in how big it was and how quiet her room seemed after living in the dormitories for a term. She closed her eyes.

I’ll just rest for a minute, she thought.




“Telara! Telara, dear, wake up. It’s time for dinner,” Bridget prodded.

“What? What time is it?” Telara asked.

“Seven o’clock,” answered Bridget. “I came up here to help you unpack and found you snoring.”

“I do not snore,” Telara argued.

“Yes, you do,” calmly insisted Bridget.

“I’d know if I snored,” asserted Telara.

“Hmm…that’s what your Gramps says,” Bridget grinned.

“Grrrr!” playfully growled Telara.

Bridget had gotten her there. You could hear her Gramps snore through a brick wall. No use continuing to argue. Bridget had won.

Telara untangled herself from her sheets and got out of bed. She kissed Bridget on the cheek before dashing down to the dining room. All the food she had eaten on the train was just a memory and she was ready for her Nana’s cooking.

Telara continued relaying the events of the past term throughout dinner. She had to repeat herself a lot, though, since she kept trying to talk with her mouth full.

Everyone moved into the living room where Edward started a roaring fire. Telara continued her stories of her first term at Hogwarts. Bridget laughed as Telara told her about the painting that helped her to Defence Against the Dark Arts on her second day.
“That would be Sir Ellsworth Palmer!” Bridget reminisced. “He helped me find your Gramps one day when I wanted a little revenge for a prank he pulled. Ask him for his Bloody Baron impression next time you see him.”

Edward blushed as he remembered how scared he and his roommates were when they thought they were locked in one of the dungeons with an angry Bloody Baron. It wasn’t the last time Bridget bested him at something. He soon joined Bridget in laughing over the memory.

Recent and old memories were exchanged this way until the grandfather clock in the entryway chimed midnight.

“Oh my goodness!” exclaimed Bridget. “It’s high time for bed. Telara, get upstairs.”

Telara just smiled at her Nana. It seemed odd to be sent to bed after almost four months of independence.

She gave good night kisses to her family before she went upstairs to get ready for bed. She relished having a bathroom to herself as she brushed her teeth and washed her face. It had only been five hours since her nap, but Telara was ready to go to bed again. She sank into the bed and pulled the duvet up around her ears. She smelled the comforting scent of freshly washed sheets and heard Bridget bustling around downstairs. It was all very soothing to Telara. When Bridget stuck her head in thirty minutes later, she found her daughter fast asleep.




The next days of Christmas break continued in similar fashion. Bridget made Telara do her reading and homework assignments early so she could be free to enjoy her holidays. It almost seemed to Telara that she was back home in Texas being home-schooled again. Except if she was in South Texas, Telara could be wearing jeans and a light shirt instead of thermal underwear and flannel.

Telara lay in bed Christmas morning. It was ten o’clock, but Telara didn’t want to get out of her cozy bed just yet. She could faintly hear Bridget in the kitchen and the low rumble of her Uncle and Gramps’ voices as they talked in the living room.

The sun coming in the window kept Telara from falling back to sleep. She finally flipped back the duvet and got herself out of bed. She put on her warmest slippers and ventured downstairs.

“Well, there she is!” exclaimed Edward as Telara appeared in the living room.

“Mornin’,” Telara yawned.

Bridget stuck her head in from the kitchen and asked, “Presents or breakfast first?”

“Presents!” yelled Telara as she headed for the tree.

“What a surprise!” commented Bridget as she took off her apron and sat down on the sofa.

Bridget and Edward had bought Telara a bunch of new clothes from her favorite American store, Abercrombie & Finch. She squealed for five solid minutes as she held up each item for inspection.

Bridget smiled at her first present from Telara. She had written four rolls of parchment titled, “What I Have Learned at Hogwarts, A Summary”. Telara knew her Nana would want to know her progress now that she was on her own. She came up with the idea soon after the start of term and had kept it up as her classes progressed.

Telara had also purchased stationery for Bridget and Edward with the Gryffindor seal embossed on it. She knew they had to be running low with all of the letters they had sent to Telara over the past term.

Telara’s final gift to her parents was a framed picture of her in the Gryffindor common room. She knew they would enjoy the sight of Telara in their own common room. Bridget and Edward spent a while reminiscing with Telara, showing her where they studied and where they had their first kiss.

Okay! thought Telara, I didn’t need that piece of information.

Edward glanced up at the mess of wrapping paper and ribbon.

“Well, can we eat now?” he asked.

“I know, I know,” laughed Telara. “Your favorite part is Christmas breakfast. I’ll help you set the table, Nana.”

Bridget had fixed pancakes, sausage, bacon, toast and eggs. Telara set the table while Edward and his brother cleaned up the mess in the living room. They were just sitting down to eat when Dumbledore appeared in the doorway.

“Papadore!” yelled Telara. “Happy Christmas!”

She threw her arms around Dumbledore’s waist as he patted her head and gave her a quick hug back.

“It looks like I’m just in time,” commented Dumbledore.

“Yes! Please sit down and join us,” offered Edward.

“I think I will,” said Dumbledore.

The warm kitchen was made cozier by the laughter and love that flowed among its inhabitants. Once they were done eating, Dumbledore gave Telara a little embroidered pouch closed by a gold cord.

“What is this, Papadore?” Telara asked.

“It’s a present, though it’s not really from me,” said Dumbledore.

Telara opened the bag to find it contained probably 30 galleons. Telara gasped as she quickly pulled the cord to close the bag.

“Papadore, why are you giving this to me? You’ve done so much already!” exclaimed Telara.

“As I said before, the money is not from me. I have finally gained access to your Mother’s vault at Gringott’s. I have been searching for her key for years without luck. I finally completed the goblins’ requirements for gaining access to a deceased person’s vault. Bill Weasley has helped me finally convince them that you are her heir and that I could act on your behalf. They have provided you with a new key which is in the bag as well,” explained Dumbledore. “I wanted you to somehow have a present from her so I kept it a surprise.”

Telara was quite struck by this news. She didn’t have many things to help remember her mom. A vault full of gold wasn’t exactly personal, but she felt that her mother was somehow reaching out to her and taking care of her. She reached into the bag and pulled out the key. It lay small and glittering in her hand. She smiled as took off the gold chain that was always around her neck and slipped the key onto it.

“You’ll probably want a slightly more secure place to keep that key,” suggested Bridget.

“I know,” responded Telara. “But right now, I’ll keep it close to my heart.”

Telara leaned over and laid her head on Bridget’s shoulder. They stayed like that for a minute before Telara sat back up and placed the pouch in front of Bridget.

“What are you doing, child?” Bridget demanded.

“I want you and Gramps to have this,” Telara insisted. “I didn’t get you much for Christmas. And after all you’ve given me in my life, this isn’t really much in comparison.”

“You are the sweetest girl,” praised Edward. “You are also crazy if you think your Nana and I will be taking your money, but sweet nevertheless.”

Telara looked over at Bridget. She had her “don’t you dare talk back” face on. Telara chuckled as she reached to take back the pouch.

Dumbledore broke the silence by suggesting that they go to Diagon Alley for Boxing Day.

“Yeehaw!” shouted Telara. “Shopping!”

Everyone laughed as Telara sprang up and starting cleaning the breakfast dishes. She had a lot of energy all of a sudden and had to do something with it.

As morning turned into afternoon, the excitement of Christmas morning caught up with the Ollivanders. Dumbledore excused himself with a promise to return in the morning to join the family shopping.

Telara stumbled up to her room and collapsed on her bed. Christmas day naps were one of Telara’s favorite traditions. She fell asleep with a smile on her face as she dreamed of Diagon Alley and dress robes.




Boxing Day dawned bright and clear. It was cold but beautiful outside. It was a perfect day to spend in the shops of Diagon Alley. Telara didn’t get up as early as she had the day before, but she was still ready in plenty of time. Luckily, the shops opened early on Boxing Day.

Dumbledore arrived just before nine. They came from the house through the back of the wand shop to find quite a crowd. Edward decided to stay at the shop to help his brother since there were so many extra customers. Telara’s galleons were begging to be spent as she decided which store to go to first.

Dumbledore seemed preoccupied with the extra activity on Diagon Alley. His eyes kept scanning the crowd while they walked down the street. Telara had to pull on his robes to get him to follow her into Madam Malkin’s. It was packed with holiday shoppers and women trying to return gifts that weren’t quite right.

Telara spotted Parvati and Padma looking at robes, but only got to say a quick hello in the chaos. She eyed a beautiful violet dress robe with embroidery around the collar and down the front in royal colors and gold. Bridget agreed with Telara’s choice and helped her fight her way to the clerk to pay for it. Dumbledore had stayed by the door watching the ladies in the store with amusement.

They made their way back out onto the street and next door to Flourish and Blott’s. There was a new book on Medical Potions that Telara had wanted since it was published earlier in the year. The purchase made her pouch considerably lighter, but it was worth it. The crowds were starting to get to Bridget so she offered to take the new purchases back home so she could get some peace and quiet. Telara and Dumbledore followed Bridget out of the store before saying a quick goodbye.

“Why don’t we stop for a snack?” suggested Dumbledore.

“You’ve been wanting ice cream ever since we passed Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor, haven’t you, Papadore?” teased Telara.

Dumbledore smiled at his goddaughter. She knew him well.

“Now that you’ve mentioned it, I would like something sweet to eat,” he responded innocently.

“Whatever,” laughed Telara. “Let’s go!”

Telara and Dumbledore sat contentedly licking their ice cream cones while they watched the shoppers around them. Telara had a strange feeling begin in the pit of her stomach. She wrote it off as too much sugar too early in the day and threw the rest of her ice cream cone away.

Once Dumbledore had finished his cone, he and Telara strolled up the street to look at the animals at the Magical Menagerie. There was a pen just inside the door with six kittens crawling all over each other. Telara was petting one of them when the owner of the store walked up to her.

“How do you like our new litter of Kneazles? They were just weaned from their mother a couple of weeks ago,” commented the owner. “This one seems to like you a lot.”

Telara smiled as the owner picked up the kitten and handed it to her. The kitten crawled up to her shoulder and began purring in her ear. Dumbledore scratched the kitten’s head as Telara rubbed her cheek on its soft fur.

All of a sudden, the kitten looked up and scrambled to stand on Telara’s shoulder. She hissed as loudly as her little kitten mouth would let her. Dumbledore and Telara spun around to look outside just in time to see a dark cloak disappear down an alleyway.

“I think it’s time to return to your Uncle’s house,” Dumbledore remarked.

Telara didn’t want to leave the Kneazle kitten behind, however. She had possibly saved her from another close encounter with the shadowy figure. She convinced Dumbledore to let her stay for just a minute to buy the kitten. Dumbledore carried the kitten’s food as he hurried Telara back to the wand shop.

Just as Dumbledore placed his hand on the doorknob, Diagon Alley erupted in screams. Dumbledore turned to find the Dark Mark floating above the stores. Telara wasn’t able to see anything as Dumbledore pulled her into the store. Mr. Ollivander and Edward rushed to the window to see what the panic was about. Dumbledore explained hastily as he guided Telara through the store and into the house.

Bridget was in the kitchen and was brought up to date on the situation. Telara was instructed to pack her trunk and a wicker cage was conjured to keep the new kitten while everyone prepared to move to a safer location.

When Telara returned to the kitchen with her trunk, her Uncle and Edward were there as well. They had locked up and warded the store before helping the patrons in the store floo back to their homes. The kitten was mewing in her cage until Telara stuck her fingers in to scratch her chin.

Dumbledore came into the kitchen carrying an umbrella in one hand and his wand in the other. He pointed the wand at the umbrella.

Portus,” he uttered.

The umbrella glowed and vibrated before returning to its normal appearance.

“Telara, you go with your parents. This portkey will take you to a safe house. Mr. Ollivander, would like to join us?” offered Dumbledore.

“No, I’ll stay here. I won’t risk anything happening to my shop or home. I will be fine,” insisted Mr. Ollivander.

“All right then. Everyone please touch the portkey,” instructed Dumbledore. “In 3, 2, and 1.”

Telara kept bumping from Bridget to Edward and back again as they were pulled along by the portkey. They landed in a dark foyer very different from the house they had just left. Telara’s eyes were trying to adjust to the darkness as she noticed a man walking towards them.

“Please follow me upstairs,” he whispered. “I’ll get you settled in.”

“Professor Lupin?” Telara asked.

“Yes. Shhhh!” insisted Lupin.

He and Edward each took an end of Telara’s trunk and they headed to the second floor. Even the kitten was quiet as they crept upstairs.

They entered a bedroom that had three twin beds, three writing desks and three small wardrobes. Once Lupin had closed the door, he turned to his guests to explain.

“I’m sorry if I was a bit short with you downstairs. We have a portrait down there that is quite unsettling if she is disturbed. Telara, you will stay here with Ginny and Hermione. Bridget and Edward, your room is down the hall.”

Telara opened her trunk as Bridget, Edward and Lupin left the room. She hung her clothes in one of the wardrobes and put her books on the desk that was underneath the window. She pulled back the curtains to find a grimy window that blocked most of the light trying to come through.

Nasty, she thought. Thank goodness for these curtains!

The kitten started scratching at the door to her cage, so Telara opened the door and let her explore the room. She wondered if anyone would be coming back to get her or not. She didn’t really want to investigate the creepy house on her own. She finally lay down on the bed next to her desk. The kitten jumped on her and began kneading her stomach.

“Ouch, kitty!” exclaimed Telara. “Watch those claws!”

The kitten just nuzzled her hand as if to say “Pet me! Pet me!”.

“I guess I need to give you a name, don’t I?” Telara asked the kitten.

“How about Broomhilda?” teased Telara. A playful bite conveyed a definite no.

“Ouch! Okay, not Broomhilda. What do you look like?” Telara pondered as she held the kitten up in the air.

“Lucy! You look like a Lucy to me,” decided Telara. She put the kitten down on the bed to see if another playful attack would ensue. The kitten proceeded to lick Telara’s hand before laying down and closing her eyes.

“OK, Lucy it is!” declared Telara.

There was a quiet knock on the door before Hermione’s head peeked in.

“Are you alright, Telara?” asked Hermione.

“I’m fine,” assured Telara. “Actually, I don’t really know what is going on. I guess I should be worried, but I don’t know why.”

Hermione looked down at Lucy laying on the bed.

“Aww! When did you get her?” Hermione cooed.

“I bought her today,” answered Telara. “She’s a Kneazle. I named her Lucy.”

“Crookshanks will have a friend now,” commented Hermione. “They should get along well. They want us down in the kitchen straight away. You better keep Lucy in the room for now. There are too many places for her to get stuck or lost in this house.”

Telara poured some food in a bowl while Hermione got Lucy some water from the bathroom. She seemed content as Telara and Hermione left the room.

When they entered the kitchen, Telara discovered that the whole Weasley clan was there along with some wizards so didn’t recognize and some Professors from Hogwarts. Harry was at the table rubbing his forehead vigorously. Hermione walked quickly to sit beside him and they whispered for a few minutes before Dumbledore commanded their attention.

“Thank you for meeting on such short notice. I’m relieved to inform you that the Dark Mark that appeared earlier today did not indicate a murder. We are not sure why it was conjured but we have a theory,” he gestured to Harry to continue.

“Voldemort is extremely angry right now,” Harry began. “My scar started throbbing a few minutes after the Dark Mark appeared. Someone is in a lot of trouble, I think.”

“I don’t think whoever conjured the mark had the authority to do so,” theorized Dumbledore. “I do think, however, that we should be on guard. Severus Snape should be here soon to give is an update. He is putting himself at great risk by stopping by.”

Dumbledore looked over his glasses at his students as he continued, “Now it is time for you to go upstairs.”

All five of them protested as they rose to leave. Telara was more confused than ever and wanted an explanation. The rest knew that it was useless to argue but didn’t want to leave without voicing their disapproval.

George was standing near the door and pressed something into Harry’s hand as he passed by. He winked as Harry looked at him.

At that moment, Snape came through the door much like he did when he entered a classroom. His face was set in a scowl and his robes billowed behind him as he walked quickly toward Dumbledore. Snape handed him a roll of parchment as they spoke. They had a quick whispered discussion while the rest of the room waited patiently for his news.

The group quickly left the kitchen and headed up to the girls’ room. As they entered, Lucy jumped up and scurried around everyone’s feet. Ron had to hold on to Hermione to keep from falling over and crushing Lucy beneath him. Telara picked Lucy up and held her as they all found places to sit.

Harry looked at the item that George had given him. It looked like a compact mirror that girls carry around in their bags. He opened it up, but found no mirror. Ron just shrugged as he took it for closer examination. Just as Ron was about to close it, Snape’s voice filled the room. Ron placed the listening device on the bed as they all concentrated on the object.

“The Dark Lord is strategically placing his followers for a strike on the Wizarding World,” Snape reported. “His timeframe has been moved up because of this afternoon’s event, but he is still ready and able to do a considerable amount of damage. This surprise has not lessened his fervor.”

Snape directed his focus back to Dumbledore. “I must go complete my designated task,” he explained and flew back out the door.

The group upstairs heard the parchment being unrolled and a creak as Dumbledore sank into his chair.

The room remained silent as Dumbledore read about Voldemort’s plans. He finally stood wearily and sighed.

“We must call every Order member here immediately. It will take all of us to stop this,” he conveyed.

Harry had a look of deep concentration on his face. It seemed to Telara that he was preparing himself for whatever laid ahead. Ron and Hermione sat together holding hands and looking at Harry with concern. Ginny sat at Harry’s feet and laid her head on his knee. No one spoke.

Two hours passed before they heard footsteps on the stairs. They all looked expectantly at the door as it opened and Dumbledore came into the room. To everyone’s surprise, he asked Telara to follow him to the Drawing Room. Telara placed Lucy in Hermione’s lap and followed Dumbledore back down the stairs.

As he closed the doors behind them, Dumbledore motioned for Telara to sit down. He conjured a fire in the fireplace and sat down across from Telara. He looked much older all of a sudden to Telara. She was frightened as he looked her in the eye.

“There is something I have to tell you, Telara. It’s about your Mother and Father,” he began.

“My Father?” asked an astonished Telara.

“Yes, dear one,” Dumbledore continued. “I haven’t told you because this story is not a pleasant one. I didn’t want you to live with this knowledge unless you had to.”

“And I have to now,” questioned Telara.

“Yes,” insisted Dumbledore.

“I don’t know where exactly to begin,” said Dumbledore. “I think you need an untold history lesson to start with.”

Telara did her best to hide her frustration. If she had her way, the discussion would go straight to the identity and location of her father.

“When Voldemort was rising to power the first time,” Dumbledore continued. “He was obsessed with immortality. He traveled the world to find the Dark Magic necessary to transform him into a being that could defy death.”

“Nana told me that when asked her about his return two and half years ago,” interrupted Telara.

“The transformation was a long and arduous process than would wipe Voldemort of many of his human qualities,” resumed Dumbledore. “While he was prepared to make those sacrifices, he would miss many pleasures that indulged in. That is where your mother comes into the story.”

“My mother had contact with Voldemort?” asked an astonished Telara.

“Not of her own choice, but yes,” stated Dumbledore. “Your mother was a member of the first Order of the Phoenix. We had come together to fight and hopefully defeat Voldemort and his Death Eaters. The group you saw downstairs is the Order regrouped for this war.”

Dumbledore paused to let this information sink in to Telara’s mind. She looked at him expectantly after a minute so Dumbledore continued his story.

“Your mother was a favorite student of mine. She came from a family of Muggles and was the first in her bloodline to have magical abilities. She was a good student and a good to her small group of friends. She seemed to like being in the background and enjoyed her studies more than anything. She was disowned by her family and spent every break of her seven years here at Hogwarts. I tried to ease the burden by befriending her and being an adult that she could talk to.”

“She found a well paying job at Gringott’s once she finished school. She was particularly good at curse breaking and quickly became the Assistant Head of that department. Her access to information at Gringott’s was extremely valuable to the Order. Because of her information, we could tell whose money was supporting Voldemort. Unfortunately, she was caught trying to access files by an undercover Death Eater.”

Telara gasped as this was revealed. Dumbledore had gotten on a roll, however, and continued with the tale.

“We were so worried when she missed the next Order meeting. We found out that she had been seen leaving her office but not leaving the building. We knew what she had planned on doing that afternoon and suspected that we weren’t the only ones with spies inside Gringott’s.”

“Weeks passed with no information on her whereabouts. We had no choice but to assume that she had been killed. When she turned up barely alive on the doorstep of our headquarters, we were very grateful that we had been wrong. She had been beaten and cursed so badly. It didn’t look like she would ever be able to make a full recovery.”

“Once she had gotten some of her strength back, your mother summoned me to her bedside. What I’m about to disclose to you has never been repeated. It will be hard for you to hear, but you must understand.”

Telara squirmed in her chair. She just couldn’t get herself comfortable in mind or body.

“Your mother was brought to Rodolphus Lestrange who was one of Voldemort’s inner circle. She did an amazing job of feigning ignorance and convinced the Death Eaters that she was not a spy. She told them she was muggleborn since she knew that they would not consider a muggleborn to be capable of intelligence work. While it did help in that aspect, the Death Eaters’ knowledge of her heritage put her at another risk. They took her down to the dungeons where they kept female prisoners. She was to do anything she was told or she would be killed. As she looked at the other prisoners, she quickly understood what he meant. The women around her had been abused in the worst sort of ways.”

Dumbledore took a deep breath as he continued onto the most difficult part of the story.

“At this time, Voldemort was preparing for his final transformation. It would be the last night that he could enjoy the mortal pleasures of eating, sleeping and…” Dumbledore paused as he struggled to finish the statement, “sex.”

Telara began shaking uncontrollably as she began to comprehend what he was about to tell her.

“He went down into the dungeons to find a suitable victim for his last night of gratification. Your mother was a pretty woman and of course unblemished since she had just arrived. Voldemort’s choice was an easy one that night. Your mother endured that night and was returned to the dungeons. Once Voldemort’s transformation was complete, he began a new series of attacks with a vengeance. Because of this, your mother and the other victims had a temporary reprieve from Death Eater visits.”

“It was during this time that your mother realized that she was pregnant. While this terrified her, she had a reason to not only survive but to escape. She suffered many beatings and worse abuses in the coming weeks. The Death Eaters had to sneak in for quick visits in between their assignments and were increasingly agitated with their increased work loads. They took it out on the women in the dungeons. But your mother noticed that in their hurry, the Death Eaters were often careless with the locks and wards that kept the women imprisoned and waited for her chance.”

“That chance came on a night on which Voldemort had planned a massive attack. The dungeons were full of Death Eaters who assumed that it might be their last night on earth. All at once, the Dark Marks emblazoned on their arms glowed brightly and painfully. They rushed out climbing over each other to be the first to reach their Dark Lord. Once the corridor became quiet, your mother and the other women ventured out into the dark hallway. They saw a bit of light up ahead and headed for it.”

“The light was coming from a stairwell. Your mother was the first to brave the assent into the unknown. The stairwell led to the main floor of a dark mansion. It seemed deserted so your mother continued through the house. The group of women made it to the kitchen where they found the first proper food and water they had seen in weeks. They exited the house though the side entrance and were finally free. Everyone went their separate ways once they found the neighboring village and could ascertain where they were and how they could get home.”

“And mom came to you,” said Telara.

“Yes, she did,” replied Dumbledore. “As you could see from her picture, the effects of her imprisonment never truly went away. The only joy in her life was the baby she carried. She knew you would not end up like your father. She would make sure you were happy, cared for and raised to be good.”

Telara was trembling badly at this point. It seemed too much to take. She was mad that she had to live with this terrible knowledge, mad that her mother had been taken from her so early, mad at how quickly her life seemed to be spiraling out of control. Questions started to flood her mind.

“So how did I come to live with Nana and Gramps?” Telara asked.

“Bridget and Edward were members of the Order. Bridget helped care for your mother and for you when you were born. Your mother requested that she be the one to care for you if anything were to happen to her,” explained Dumbledore.

“Why did we move to Texas?” Telara continued questioning.

“Once your mother died, I wasn’t sure if Voldemort would be able to, for lack of a better word, feel you. He is a powerful Legimens and I was worried he could pick up on your presence. The connection between parent and child is strong. Bridget and Edward volunteered to take you to America and raise you there,” Dumbledore clarified.

“They left England just for me?” pondered Telara.

“Yes,” Dumbledore responded. “You and Bridget had formed a tight bond and she would have done anything to keep you safe. That is why she has been so protective of you over the years. That is also why you did not attend the Wizarding school in Massachusetts. We tried to keep your existence as quiet as possible while still giving you a quality life.”

“So,” Telara began, not sure she wanted to know the answer to her next question. “Why bring me back now?”

Dumbledore sighed and hung his head. He was not happy about what he had to tell her.

“I am sure that Voldemort does not know of your existence. I suspect he is starting to feel your presence though it’s probably not very prominent in his mind right now. Your appearance in his life would certainly cause a disruption in his focus. You will need to confront him at the right time for our plans to defeat him to work. The fact that you are his daughter and share his blood provides some protection for you.”

“I’m a distraction,” Telara realized.

“I suppose that’s one way to put it,” responded Dumbledore. “But I think that it’s important for you to face him so you can evolve past this part of your history. I want you to see what the dark side of magic can turn a person into. I want you to conquer your father’s influence that lives inside you.”

“If I survive,” Telara stated.

“You will survive, Telara,” Dumbledore assured, “And you will be able to live the rest of your life in peace knowing that the darkest wizard ever born was defeated with your help.”

“Peace? I don’t think so,” retorted Telara. “I can’t even imagine it now.”

“As time goes on, you will come to understand your part in this and see your life beyond it,” consoled Dumbledore.

Telara was worn out. She had finally stopped trembling, but only out of exhaustion. She needed time to process everything that Dumbledore had just told her.

“I need to go to bed,” declared Telara. “What do I tell the others?”

“Nothing,” instructed Dumbledore. “Harry will be told tonight. There are many things I must discuss with him. But for now, say nothing.”

Telara left Dumbledore staring into the fire as she made her way out of the room. The stairs were difficult to climb with legs that seemed to be made out of lead. She finally made it to her room where everyone sat in the same positions. They looked concerned at Telara who appeared much more troubled than she had when she left the room a mere hour ago.

“I’m sorry to break this up,” mumbled Telara. “But I need to go to bed.”

“Is everything okay?” timidly asked Hermione.

“No,” answered Telara. “I don’t think it ever will be.”

Four pairs of eyebrows shot u
The Storm by Jenn_Weasley
Telara woke to a dark, quiet room. She was momentarily confused as she heard the deep, rhythmic breathing of two other people in her room. Then the events of the previous day rushed back to her and she remembered where she was and why she was there. Against her will, the conversation she had with Dumbledore flooded her mind. It played over and over until Telara couldn’t take it anymore. She flung back her covers and started to feel around for her slippers before she realized that she was still fully dressed.

Telara quietly slipped through the door and down the stairs. She had no idea where she was going but navigating through a strange house was better than lying in bed. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, she saw a thread of light coming from beneath a door. She opened the door just a cracked and peeked inside. It appeared to be the kitchen so Telara quietly entered the room. She had barely walked inside when a voice made her jump a foot into the air.

“Get used to sleeping troubles, Telara,” said Harry.

“Harry!” exclaimed Telara. “I didn’t expect anyone to be up.”

“I couldn’t shut my mind off,” explained Harry. “And I didn’t want to encounter Voldemort tonight of all nights.”

“Encounter?” asked Telara.

“Yeah, we were linked somehow the first time he tried to kill me,” explained Harry. “He can see into my mind and vice versa when I’m asleep.” Harry looked up at Telara who had sat down across the table from him.

“So I know how it feels to be unwillingly connected to him,” Harry continued. “If you want to talk, I’m here.”

Telara felt a weight lift off of her. She knew at least one friend would continue to accept her despite her horrible heritage.

“You don’t know how much that helps, Harry,” said Telara. “I can’t stand the fact that I’m his child. I didn’t know how anyone else would be able to accept it. Especially you. I’m the daughter of the creature who killed your parents.”

“It’s not your fault, Telara,” consoled Harry. “Just like I didn’t have a choice about getting stuck with this stupid scar and prophecy.”

“It doesn’t make dealing with it any easier, though, does it?” asked Telara.

“No, it doesn’t,” replied Harry.

They sat in silence for a while content enough for now in the knowledge that they were in this whole ordeal together. The warmth of the fire and lateness of the hour started to affect the pair.

“I think I’m going to try to sleep,” said Harry. “I think I’m tired enough now to fall asleep quickly. I’ll be sure to clear my mind. I won’t let him in, Telara. Your secret will be safe with me.”

“Thank you, Harry,” replied Telara. “I feel much better after talking with you. Maybe I’ll be able to sleep too.”

The pair left the kitchen and made their way up the stairs. Harry gave Telara a brave smile as he went through the door to his room. Telara crept back into her room to find her roommates exactly as she left them. Lucy had stretched herself as much as she could across Telara’s pillow. If she hadn’t been purring, Telara would have laid right on her. Telara plucked her off the pillow and got into bed. Lucy curled up under her arm and fell right back asleep.

If it were only that easy for me, thought Telara.

The next thing she knew, there was a hint of light in the room and Ginny and Hermione were starting to stir.

I must have dozed off, thank goodness! realized Telara.

Telara stayed in bed and rubbed Lucy’s tummy until Ginny and Hermione woke up. The dark circles under her eyes told the other two how the night had been. They offered reassuring smiles as they dressed and went downstairs for breakfast.

Molly glanced up at the girls as they entered the kitchen. She was busy serving breakfast to the boys, Remus and Tonks. Her eyes paused on Telara and took on a look of concern.

“You poor dear,” she said. “You look like you’ve been awake all night. Come sit down and have some breakfast.”

Just as Telara was taking her place at the table, Bridget and Edward entered the room. They didn’t look much better than Telara. Every line on Bridget’s face communicated the worry that was in her heart. Telara saw her parents in a new light now that she knew about her past. She now knew the sacrifices and danger that they had endured to keep her safe. That, on top emotional upheaval from Dumbledore’s confession and a lack of sleep put Telara over the edge. She started sobbing uncontrollably.

Bridget and Edward rushed to their daughter’s side. Everyone else froze at her outburst with forks halfway to or from their destinations. The boys seemed very uncomfortable with this while the girls looked on helplessly. Dumbledore then showed his impeccable timing by showing up at that moment in the doorway.

“Let’s go in the drawing room, shall we?”

Bridget and Edward stood on either side of Telara as she stood and made her way out of the kitchen. Her weeping could be heard down the hall until Dumbledore closed the doors to the drawing room. Telara flung her body onto the davenport.

“Papadore, I don’t want this. I can’t do it,” she whimpered.

“My dear, I wouldn’t have placed this burden upon you if I thought you could not handle it,” he replied.

“I’m the one in my head, Papadore. I think I’m a little more qualified to know what I can or can’t do.”

Bridget and Edward were shocked that Telara would speak to Dumbledore in that manner. Edward opened his mouth to admonish her when Dumbledore held up a hand to silence him.

“You would be surprised. I know a lot about what is going on in your head,” he said as he looked intently at her over his half moon glasses.

Telara kept his gaze for quite a while before turning away to start pacing the room. She knew when she was defeated.

“Alright. What do I have to do?” she conceded.

“You are going to go see your father,” responded Dumbledore. He spoke calmly as if this was a completely normal request.

Telara froze in her tracks and turned back to him. This wasn’t really news to her but she didn’t realize she would be going so soon.

“What am I supposed to do? Go knock on his door?” asked Telara.

“Yes,” responded Dumbledore.




Telara collapsed into bed that night physically and emotionally exhausted. Dumbledore had taught her a spell that only she could use on Voldemort. He hoped that Telara’s encounter would weaken Voldemort and make Harry’s job a lot easier. This spell took a lot of focus and strength to work. And Telara was quite distracted. Dumbledore made her try over and over again on the spell. She finally got it to work though they couldn’t be sure until she actually used it on Voldemort.

Dumbledore assumed that Voldemort would use the Killing Curse on Telara once he got the information he wanted. Dumbledore was certain having Voldemort’s blood in her veins would protect her to some extent, but his new spell would even the odds for Telara if she was able to perform it correctly.

As she lay in bed, Telara tried to keep herself from becoming bitter at this turn of events. She doubted everything her life had been until now. Everything seemed to pale next to this task that had been assigned to her.




The next morning Telara woke to an empty room. She rolled over and discovered why. It was almost noon. Her roommates had probably been up for hours. Telara forced herself out of bed and to the bathroom. She didn’t really feel up to showering and washing her long hair but she knew she needed to after last night’s training. As she stood there under the shower, she let the hot water pound on her back and relax the muscles that tended to stay tense all the time lately.

She actually felt a little better as she got dressed and made her way downstairs. Molly and Ginny were preparing lunch in the kitchen while the rest of the inhabitants were sitting or standing in little groups waiting for the meal. Telara headed over to Bridget and Edward and sat down between them. Edward pulled her to his side while Bridget took her hand. She managed a small smile at Harry who looked as worn out and troubled as Telara did. A small twitch of the mouth was all Harry was able to return. The room stayed quiet as everyone ate. No one was in much of a mood to talk.

Ron and Hermione disappeared after lunch. Harry went off by himself upstairs. Telara spent the afternoon with Bridget and Edward in the drawing room. Time had never moved faster for Telara. In no time at all, they heard Dumbledore’s arrival in the entryway. Order members began streaming into the house. Dumbledore made his way to the drawing room with Harry in tow.

“Bridget, Edward, if you will join me downstairs. Harry, Telara, you wait for me here,” instructed Dumbledore before he swept back out of the room.

Telara and Harry just stared at each other for a while before they took to pacing around the room. A light knock was heard on the door a moment later. Hermione’s face peeked through as she opened the door just a crack.

“Come in,” said Harry.

Ron, Hermione and Ginny entered the room quietly as if they were entering a funeral. Hermione eyes were watery and Ron looked like he might throw up any moment. Ginny went over and stood by Harry in silent support. Finally, Harry couldn’t take it anymore.

“We’ll be okay! You don’t have to act like we’re dead already.”

Hermione shakily answered, “Of course, you’ll be okay. We know that, don’t we Ron?”

“Yeah,” managed Ron. “Everything will be fine.”

Telara suppressed a snort as she listened to Ron and Hermione. She couldn’t force herself to be that optimistic even if it was fake.

The room fell back into silence as they awaited Dumbledore’s return. They heard the hushed departure of the Order meeting and the footfalls of Dumbledore approaching the door.

The five watched the gleaming snake engraved on the silver doorknob turn over as Dumbledore twisted it from the other side. Their eyes rose up to the level of Dumbledore’s. Such seriousness had only been seen in his eyes a handful of times by the group. Everyone felt a bit queasy as Dumbledore drew breath to speak.

“The Order has gone out on the defensive. Professor Snape has reported a large strike that will take place tonight. This is our chance.”

“When do we leave?” asked Harry with resolve in his voice.

“In just a few minutes,” answered Dumbledore. “We need you to move as quickly as you can. There are not enough Order members to fight the Death Eaters in any prolonged battle. Do not compromise your mission, but time is of the essence.”

Harry and Telara nodded in understanding. Dumbledore then turned to Ginny, Ron and Hermione.

“You three will stay here. We will need you to take care of anyone who returns to Headquarters. Try to help in any way you can. There may be wounded members that you will have to assist.”

“Yes, sir,” replied Hermione. “We’ll be ready.”

“Harry, please get your invisibility cloak and meet us in the kitchen,” instructed Dumbledore. “Telara, follow me, please.”

With one last look at their friends, Telara and Harry passed through the doorway.

When Harry arrived in the kitchen, Dumbledore was reminding Telara of what she had to do.

“You must concentrate on your Occlumency, Telara. Voldemort must not know that Harry is your friend.”

“I know, Papadore,” assured Telara. “I won’t let him in.”

“Alright. Harry, under your cloak,” said Dumbledore. “Concentrate on Riddle Manor. Picture it clearly. Good luck to you both.”

Telara looked to her left where Harry had been. She looked back to Dumbledore who was nodding encouragingly but had a touch of sadness behind his eyes. She closed her eyes and pictured her Apparition point. Soon she felt the unsettling compression like she was being sucked into a vacuum cleaner hose. Before she had a chance to feel too miserable, she felt herself landing on an overgrown lawn. She opened her eyes to find an imposing manner in front of her.

A quick touch of her elbow let Telara know that Harry had made the journey as well. She took a deep breath as she saw the front door flung open. Four Death Eaters came out of the house and quickly surrounded Telara. One of them finally threw back his hood and walked until he was mere inches in front of Telara. The stench of his breath made Telara wince but she stood her ground.

“What shall we do with you?” he asked menacingly.

Telara looked him straight in the eye and answered, “You will take me to the Dark Lord. I have some information for him.”

The Death Eater looked as though he had been hit between the eyes for a split second. The wicked chuckling of the other men around them brought him back to his senses. He backhanded Telara across the face and pushed her to the ground.

“You little bitch,” he seethed. “How dare you order me? You don’t have any information the Dark Lord doesn’t have himself.”

The other Death Eaters moved closer in anticipation of Telara’s punishment.

“Really?” challenged Telara. “He has the entire prophecy then?”

All four Death Eaters froze in amazement. They looked at each other unsure what to do with this new possibility.

“How does she know about the prophecy?” whispered one of them.

“We better take her in,” said another. “I don’t want to suffer the wrath of the Dark Lord if he finds out that she was here and wasn’t questioned. And he always finds out.”

The other Death Eaters murmured their agreement and roughly pulled Telara to her feet and toward the house. She ached from the Death Eater’s hit and her fall. As they approached the doors, the smell of decay wafted over Telara. She had to force herself to inhale. As they passed into the entryway, she found the only light came from red flames in sconces along the wall. It almost made her eyes hurt to look at them. She fought to reign in her thoughts in spite of the attack on her senses.

She allowed herself to be dragged up the stairs and down a long hall. They stopped in front of a gleaming black door at the end of the hall. The unhooded Death Eater knocked and waited for a response.

The door cracked and a pointed face peeked through the opening.

“What do you want?” he squeaked.

“We have a girl who claims to know the entire prophecy,” the Death Eater responded.

The door snapped shut and a lot of movement could be heard behind the door. Finally, the door opened completely and the little mouse of a man stood in the doorway.

“Give me the girl,” he said timidly.

“Doesn’t he want to see us too? We captured her,” insisted the Death Eater.

“But the Dark Lord said…I’m supposed to bring her,” he whined as he looked apprehensively over his shoulder.

The Death Eaters knew they had him scared. They were about to push their way in when they heard an eerie voice come from the room.

“Obey my command,” the voice hissed.

The Death Eaters immediately let the man take Telara by the arm and close the door behind him. Telara didn’t fight as the man pulled her along. She took a look back to the closed door and noticed it was much different on this side. It looked as though it had been beaten and clawed. Telara gasped as she realized that they were the marks of fingernails. People had desperately tried to leave the exact place where she had been taken.

When she looked back around, she gasped again. This time it was at the man in front of her. She wasn’t even sure he could be called a man. His eyes were just slits in his face. The red eyes in those slits only contributed to his terrifying appearance. His abnormally long fingers were intertwined and pressed against his mouth as he considered the one in front of him.

“Who are you and how did you get here?” he asked her with suspicion in his red eyes.

“My name is Telara. I’ve been searching for you for days. I overheard your people in Knockturn Alley mention Little Hangleton. I came here and waited. I found and followed one of them here from village.”

Voldemort snapped at one of the cloaked figures in the room. He came over and lowered his head to hear his master’s whispers. He then quickly left the room with his wand drawn.

“So you know the full prophecy?” he asked her calmly.

“Yes, my Lord, I do,” replied Telara.

“And how did you find this information?” he asked, again remaining calm.

Telara felt him probe her mind. She replaced her love for Dumbledore with the anger and frustration she had felt toward him since he had revealed her past to her. She had no problem putting the hate and rage in the front of her mind for Voldemort to find.

“I had to go to Dumbledore’s office. I was in trouble again. Professor Kitty Cat had enough of me and sent me to Dumbledore for another talk about reaching my true potential. When I got to his office, no one was there. I started messing around with a basin on his desk. I could see things in it. I saw him spouting off some kind of strange poem. But it stuck in my mind. A couple of weeks ago, I overheard Potter and his friends talking about it. Then I realized what it was that I heard. As soon as I could slip away from my family, I came here to tell you.”

“And what do you expect to gain with this information?” he said narrowing those slits even farther.

“I don’t care. I just hate Hogwarts and the Golden Trio and especially Dumbledore,” Telara spat.

He concentrated on Telara and she felt him again trying to enter her mind. She put everything out of her mind but the hate and fury she was feeling about the situation she was in. Voldemort found that and was satisfied.

“Hmmm. Hate is a powerful weapon, child. You are learning to use it well,” he said as he straighten in his chair and lowered his hands. “Now give me the prophecy.”

Telara closed her eyes and recited the prophecy. “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…and the Dark Lord will make him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not…and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives…”

When Telara opened her eyes, she no longer saw a composed Voldemort. He was enraged as he sprang up out of the chair. He started pacing the room knocking anything and anyone out of his way as he did so.

Telara fought to keep herself calm and in control of her thoughts. If she thought Voldemort was terrifying before, it was nothing compared to the monster that was tearing around her now. She had to regain his attention without appearing to want it. She knew what would happen when he turned his focus on her. But she had to do it.

“Master, may I have your leave to go?” she asked.

Voldemort spun around to face Telara with fury in his eyes.

“You dare interrupt me? You are nothing. And you are no longer of use to me. Avada Kedavra!

Telara closed her eyes as the green flash of light headed toward her. As it hit her chest, Telara felt her breath leave her and her heart stop beating. Her legs and arms became numb as the green light seemed to be draining the life force out of her. Almost as quickly as it hit her, the draining sensation stopped. She gasped for breath as she collapsed to her knees.

Voldemort stood there stunned that his victim was still alive. They only other time his Killing Curse victim survived had not ended well for him. Only when his control over death slipped did Voldemort feel fear.

“What is happening?” he screamed out.

With every ounce of bodily strength she had left, Telara raised her head to look at Voldemort.

“I guess even the greatest Dark wizard cannot kill his own daughter. Your blood protects me.”

Time seemed to stand still for both father and daughter. Telara was waiting for Voldemort’s next blow. Voldemort’s mind reeled with the possibility that her declaration was the truth.

Telara felt herself levitating off the floor. She looked up to see Voldemort’s wand pointing at her as she drifted towards him. She only stopped when she was almost touching him.

Voldemort examined Telara’s face closely. As he stared into her eyes, the image of himself reflected in a grungy orphanage mirror flashed in his mind. The similarities were astounding.

“Who is your mother?” whispered Voldemort.

“She was a spy against you. She was captured eighteen years ago and made to live in your dungeons.”

Voldemort gave a repulsive smile at this comment. “I never lowered myself to use the women kept there.”

“Don’t you remember the night of your final transformation?” Telara asked.

Doubt flickered briefly across Voldemort’s eyes as he brought that night up in his mind. He remembered swallowing the potion and the spell cast by Bellatrix. But before that? He remembered the feast he had brought to him. It would be the last meal that would satisfy him. The image of a woman started coming to him. She had been brought to him. Yes, he remembered her.

“Well, this changes things,” he paused as he considered Telara. “You could be useful to me. Your blood will help me live forever.”

He broke off the spell holding Telara. Instead of falling to the floor, Telara was able to stay on her feet. In a split second she pulled out her wand.

Obstringo Genus!” she shouted.

Coils of red light sprung from the end of Telara’s wand and wound around father and daughter. Telara felt stronger as she and Voldemort were bound together. She seemed to be pulling strength from him. Voldemort in turn began to weaken.

“You fools!” he screamed to the Death Eaters in the room who had been stunned and silent since the failed Killing Curse. “Do something!”

One of the Death Eaters threw back its hood to reveal a dark haired woman with deep set eyes. She looked at Telara with utter loathing.

Finite Incantatem!” she screeched.

The spell bounced off the cords with no effect. The mousy man who had brought Telara into the room performed the same spell. This time the cords seemed to dim just a touch. The other Death Eater threw back his hood to reveal long white blond hair and a pointed face. All three wizards threw the spell at the cords that were binding their master. Finally, the cords disappeared.

Voldemort stumbled to his chair as he ordered the Death Eaters to remove Telara from the room.

“Take her away. I will deal with her later,” he wheezed.

Bellatrix put her wand at Telara’s throat and spat, “Move!”

Each of her arms was roughly grabbed by the other Death Eaters and Telara allowed herself to be pulled from the room.

As she was pulled backward out of the room, she noticed how weak and shaken Voldemort had become.
When they were halfway down the hall, she saw the door to the room open wider before it closed. Harry had gotten in and had Voldemort all to himself.

I did it, Papadore, she thought. Now I’m fighting for me.

As her captors attempted to take her down the staircase, Telara took her chance. With one twist, she threw both men down the stairs.

Wow! Thanks Dad! thought Telara as she marveled at her newly gained strength.

Then she looked up at the woman still standing a stair above her. As she drew breath to curse her, Telara punched her in the stomach with all her might. Once she was doubled over, Telara pushed her to join her compatriots at the bottom of the stairs.

Telara looked at the heap of bodies on the landing below before sprinting back up the stairs. Just as she turned down the hall there was a deafening explosion. She saw the door to the room at the end of the hall blow off its hinges. Telara flattened herself to the floor and threw her hands over her head just as the door flew over her. She kept her head down as she felt a hot blast of air rush over her.

A couple of minutes passed as Telara tried to decide if she really wanted to look up. For once, everything was calm and quiet. She had a sense of peace that she hadn’t felt in a long time. Then she felt a hand on her arm. She looked up and saw Harry crouching next to her.




In the days that followed, Telara barely participated in the celebrations that seemed to be continuous since Harry’s victory. She felt better and stronger than she had ever been. But she had a nagging sensation that kept her from joining the parties.

Though the massive Death Eater strike had ended even before it really began, Telara felt bad for the Order members that had been hurt. Most Death Eaters had given up when their dark marks burned hotter than ever then faded into scars that would haunt them forever. They knew that Voldemort had been vanquished. But some had put up one last fight.

No matter how much she had contributed to Voldemort’s defeat, the fact remained that she was his child. Dumbledore has managed to keep her identity and her role in the final battle hidden from the rest of the Wizarding World. They wouldn’t understand and fully accept Telara if they knew the truth. Telara couldn’t get past it herself.

She wasn’t the only one who kept to herself after the final battle. Draco and many other Slytherins kept to their common room when not in class. They even forfeited their last Quidditch game against Ravenclaw. Their fathers were either dead or in Azkaban. Telara actually felt bad for Draco. Even though he had annoyed her that year, she understood what it meant to have a father whose actions and bad choices reflected on him.

Harry quickly got tired of the attention as well. He had been interviewed by every Wizarding publication and WNN. There was a huge ceremony at the Ministry of Magic in honor of him. Everywhere he went, Harry was questioned about the final battle. In one way, he was used to it. But he was ready to slip into obscurity and have a normal life.

Telara was reading in the common room one afternoon when Harry plopped down beside her on the couch.

“You coming to the Quidditch game?” he asked.

Telara sighed and closed the book. “I don’t know.”

“Everyone would love to see you there,” assured Harry.

“I have missed hanging out with everyone,” admitted Telara. “And I’d hate to miss the last Quidditch game of the season.”

“Good. It’s settled then,” said Harry. “I’ll be watching for you in the crowd.”

Telara smiled as she went upstairs to her room. Her roommates were outside enjoying the sunshine and warmer weather. She grabbed her jacket and decided it was time to reenter the world.




Telara was nervous as she climbed the stairs to the stands. She heard the roar of her housemates above her and felt her heart beat faster. She peeked out and was spotted quickly by Lavender.

“You’re here!” she squealed. “I’m so glad you came!”

Parvati and Hermione quickly joined Lavender in welcoming Telara to the game. She followed them to their seats as the teams streamed out of the locker rooms. When the cheering calmed down while the team was warming up, Neville approached Telara.

“Are you okay, Telara?” asked Neville.

“For the first time in quite a while, I think I am,” answered Telara.

The game was quite exciting. Hufflepuff had been practicing hard for the game. But in the end, Harry caught the last snitch of his career and won the game 210 to 60.

At the massive celebration in the Gryffindor common room, Telara felt like a normal Hogwarts student for the first time. She forgot about everything that had plagued her for the past months and had a great time. In the early hours of the next morning, she looked around her at the friends she had found. Contentment swept over her and she knew she had found her place in the world. She wasn’t quite sure what laid beyond Hogwarts for her. But for now, she was completely satisfied and happy with her life. She was no longer a distraction. She was anything she wanted to be.






AN: Okay “ I’m done. Whew!! I hope you have liked my little story. I didn’t really explore the whole Telara/Draco thing. I might consider writing a one-shot with the two of them after Hogwarts if anyone would want to read it. Let me know. Thanks to my loyal reviewers! You have made this adventure into fan fiction a lot of fun for me. A gigantic hug and thank you to my beta, bekkio. You have made me a better writer and I will always the grateful to all the knowledge and advice you’ve given me. OK “ no more sappy stuff. God bless you all!!!!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=21098