E Deus Unum by king
Summary: There was once a goofy movie called Clue with a plot that was based on a board game. This movie had several possible endings that were all implausible but they were fun and entertaining. This little yarn is an alternative ending of the Harry Potter series and is offered in the same spirit of fun and entertainment. Of course with themes like love and death it’s not all laughs. This story begins in the summer before Harry’s sixth year. I began writing it months before reading HBP so you’ll have to accept that just about everything in my version of the HP universe is different from JKR’s HP universe. (Pretend HBP didn’t happen.) In my story Hermione has loved Harry since her third year at Hogwarts. She is terrified by the war. If she doesn’t grow up quickly, she might not grow up at all. Since Harry is over his infatuation with Cho Chang, Hermione makes her move and she pulls out all of the stops. Expect some extreme behavior from a girl who throws herself at a project and is under a lot of stress. She still cares deeply about S.P.E.W. OTHER POINTS - Having never heard of a Horcrux, I devised another source of Voldemort’s immortality. - I don’t like Professor Snape, but I’m not bold enough to make him a real Death Eater. - There is a war on and characters are killed, wounded and tortured, but not Dumbledore. - I’ve made Ron into a much more confident and serious character than the books. This is based on three ideas: war is like chess and Ron excels at that, contact with the brain in the DoM could make Ron more thoughtful, and hanging around with a manly man who works with dragons like Charlie Weasley could help any boy grow up.
Categories: Harry/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 109770 Read: 115897 Published: 05/23/05 Updated: 08/01/05

1. Chapter 1 Crime and Punishment by king

2. Chapter 2 The Trial by king

3. Chapter 3 The White Cliffs of Dover by king

4. Chapter 4 Drill Instructors by king

5. Chapter 5 The House Elf by king

6. Chapter 6 Young Wizards and Witches Magic Camp by king

7. Chapter 7 The Trap and the Bait by king

8. Chapter 8 Summer’s End by king

9. Chapter 9 Autumn Leaves by king

10. Chapter 10 Find My Heart by king

11. Chapter 11 The Fall by king

12. Chapter 12 Luna's Scoop by king

13. Chapter 13 The Halloween Ball at Old George's Place by king

14. Chapter 14 The Suicide Clause by king

15. Chapter 15 Tuesday Night by king

16. Chapter 16 A Crash Course in Quidditch by king

17. Chapter 17 The Return of S.P.E.W. by king

18. Chapter 18 Gold, Silver, Red and Brown by king

19. Chapter 19 The Bamboo War by king

20. Chapter 20 The Spring Term by king

21. Chapter 21 Dancing With Dementors by king

22. Chapter 22 Into the Pit by king

23. Chapter 23 Portkeys and Pain by king

24. Chapter 24 The Cage of Light by king

25. Chapter 25 The End and The Beginning by king

Chapter 1 Crime and Punishment by king
Chapter 1 Crime and Punishment

There was nothing about Number 4 Privet Drive that would suggest it to be anything more than an ordinary house. It was perhaps a bit neater and more orderly than average, but still definitely quite ordinary. No one could see that it was an enchanted house, where ancient and powerful spells protected the wizard that lived there. And no one would ever guess that the skinny teenager with the wild black hair, dressed in a tattered old T-shirt and worn out jeans that were several sizes too big, was the most powerful wizard of his age in all of Britain. Harry Potter certainly did not look like a wizard today as he toiled in the driveway shoveling sand into a wheel barrow.

It was the second week of summer vacation and Harry Potter had settled into a fairly comfortable routine. This was due in no small part to a group of wizards that threatened his Uncle Dursley at the train station. The Dursley's fear of wizards was enough to prevent them from heaping too much abuse on Harry. Each morning Harry would get up early and help his Aunt Petunia fix, serve and clean up after breakfast. Then Aunt Petunia would silently give Harry a written list of chores to do and no one talked much at all when he was in the room. Harry generally finished the chores by lunch time and was able to spend the afternoons working on Mrs. Figg's landscaping. Last week he had installed a flagstone footpath in her garden and she had paid him by buying him some new clothes that actually fit. Harry had hoped for a bit of cash, but Mrs. Figg was afraid that if she paid Harry with money, the Dursley's would want to take it all to cover their extra grocery expenses. When Uncle Vernon saw the new footpath in Mrs. Figg's garden he decided that Harry's time would be well spent installing one in his garden. So this morning a lorry from the landscaping store had delivered two tonnes of sand and three tonnes of flagstone. Harry had to move all of this material around the house to the garden before Uncle Vernon came home from work and wanted to park in the driveway.

A sudden noise startled Harry. He dropped his shovel and spun around while reaching for the pocket that contained his wand. He looked all around nervously but saw nothing unusual. The noise was probably just some rabbits darting under a bush. He looked up at a large raven sitting in a tree across the street. The raven seemed to be quite serene. This was a relief to Harry since that raven belonged to Sturgis Podmore, his bodyguard for the morning.

Harry liked Sturgis even though he had a tendency to be melancholy and depressed. Harry supposed that was a lingering effect of being surrounded by dementors in Azkaban for six months. It made Harry angry to think of the injustice that was done to Sturgis. He had been sent to Azkaban for trying to go through a door in the Ministry of Magic, and he had been under the imperious curse at the time. It didn't comfort Harry to think that he and his friends had gone through that very door and caused a lot of damage in the Department of Mysteries.

Dumbledore had assured him that their punishment would be minor, but Harry couldn't help but worry. He had very nearly been expelled last year for setting off a Patronus charm. If he and his friends got off with a slap on the wrist for entering the Department of Mysteries it would forever convince him that justice took a back seat to politics.

Harry had just moved his third load of sand to the garden when he heard the cawing of Sturgis' raven. Once again he spun around and quickly scanned the neighborhood, but since he was now in the garden behind the house, he also pulled out his wand. This time the cause of his alarm was a large owl rapidly descending towards him. He held out his left arm and put his wand away as the owl landed, clamping his talons into the flesh just below Harry's elbow. The regal looking owl had a letter for him of and it looked very official. Harry removed the letter from the owl's leg and the large bird immediately took off. The letter was from the Ministry of Magic.

Dear Harry,

The disciplinary hearing regarding your trespass into a restricted area of the Ministry of Magic has been rescheduled to 10:30 AM today. I will pick you up in a ministry car at 9:00 AM. Please dress appropriately as you will be meeting with the Minister of Magic.

Yours Truly,
Percival Weasley
Junior Assistant to the Minister of Magic


Harry's watch said 8:45. He dashed into the house for a quick clean up and a change. He pulled on the clothes that Mrs. Figg had given him the day before, black slacks, socks, and shoes and a blue-green polo shirt that matched the color of his eyes. She had neatly stenciled every item "Property of Harry Potter" so he wouldn't lose anything while at school. There was no time to comb his hair, but that was always a waste of effort. He ran down the stairs just as a black car drove up. Aunt Petunia demanded to know where he was going.

Harry dashed out the front door and shouted, "You should be happy. I'm in trouble."

Percy Weasley was driving the car, so Harry climbed into the back seat, which was much larger than it appeared it could be. Harry's friends: Ron and Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood were already in the car. As the friends exchanged greetings, Harry settled into an empty seat next to Hermione.

"Hey mate," said Ron, "where'd you get the new clothes?"

Harry explained his landscaping job for Mrs. Figg.

Hermione breathed a deep sigh of relief and said, "Harry, you look good. I was so afraid they would send you off to Ministry of Magic in tattered old hand-me-downs."

Harry looked at his friends and he thought they were all dressed nicer than he was. Ron, Ginny, Neville and Luna were all wearing good school robes. Hermione was wearing a pretty white dress that showed a lot of leg and neck. Her hair was tied back with a red and gold ribbon and she wore a small Gryffindor charm around her neck.

"You look cute," he said to Hermione. "Who are you dressed up for?"

Hermione sighed and said, "For you, Harry".

Harry didn't know what to say.

Fortunately Ron saved him by snorting and saying, "That's not what she told us. She said that Cornelius Fudge had asked her to dress up."

"Fudge!" snarled Harry. "Since when do you dress up for him?"

"Please, Harry," Hermione said quietly, "Mr. Fudge is the Minister of Magic. He suggested that I should, look pretty in an innocent-school-girl way. It's for the trial."

"Trial?" said Harry choking. "I didn't know there would be a trial. I am so sorry," he sputtered. "I didn't mean to get you into this much trouble. Blame it all on me." He was ranting now. "Tell them you don't remember anything. Tell them it was like a nice dream. Tell them that you heard voices in your mind. I'll confess to using the Imperius curse on you. There's no reason for all of you to go to Azkaban. Just blame me."

"Harry!" interrupted Percy from the front seat, "Relax! None of you are going to Azkaban. In the first place, you should never discuss your legal strategy in the presence of an official of the court," he said pompously. "In the second place, the trial this afternoon isn't for your trespass. That will be handled as a routine juvenile offense. The trial is for two of the Death Eaters that were captured in the Department of Mysteries."

"Listen Harry," continued Percy, "Neville, Hermione and you will be witnesses for the prosecution in the trial of Antonin Dolohov and John Jurgson. They are accused of attempted murder. This is serious business because that is a capitol offense. You are not to discuss the matter between yourselves before the trial. Do you understand me?"

Harry took a deep breath and let it out slowly, relaxing a bit in relief.

"Yes I understand," he said.

Harry looked at Hermione.

He knew exactly whom Dolohov and Jurgson had tried to murder.

Hermione looked at Harry and said nothing, but she reached out and held his hand.

There was an awkward silence in the car for almost a whole minute, then Ron piped in cheerily, "So Harry, I got a letter from Charlie. I'm going to Wales to help him count the number of nesting green dragons. We'll be camping, and hiking, and checking the magical barriers that keep Muggles away from the dragon nesting areas."

"That sounds like fun," said Harry, "as long as you don't have to get too close to the dragons. What are you up to this summer, Ginny?"

"I'm staying in London with Fleur Delacour," she said. "We've got a lot of work to do to get ready for the wedding."

"Bill and Fleur are getting married?" said Hermione excitedly. "When's the wedding?"

"In late-September," answered Ginny, "to coincide with the first Hogsmeade weekend. It'll be at the Winsome Witch's Wedding Chapel in Hogsmeade."

"Oh that's so wonderful!" Hermione squealed. "Am I invited? Please say yes. I've never been to a wizard's wedding."

"Of course you'll be invited, and Harry too," said Ginny. "Do you think you could come to London for a week or two to help us with the preparations?"

At this Hermione fell silent.

After a long pause, she said quietly, "I doubt it."

"I would love to do it," she continued. "But the war… Dumbledore wants me to go to a safe place for the rest of the summer. Tonks will be out of vacation time soon. Dad's got his own ideas. Mom's upset. I don't know what they'll decide."

"In your letters you said you were helping your parents in their dental office, are you going to continue that?" asked Harry.

"I don't know," Hermione said shaking her head. "I'm really not much help around the office, just a go-for. I spend most of the time reading or writing letters. They've joined a big company that has multiple clinics. They move from office to office a lot, one day here, two days there, never more than three in a row at the same office. They drive rental cars and change them every week. They take a different route every day. Tonks and I just go with them to keep everyone together, there's safety in numbers."

Ron was staring at her.

"Is there a problem Hermione?" Harry asked in a worried tone.

"I saw Malfoy's owl in a neighbor's tree," she said quietly.

Everyone was staring at Hermione now, even Percy. It was a good thing the car could drive itself.

After another long awkward silence Harry spoke up, "So Hermione, where do you conceal your wand in that cute little dress?"

Hermione reached over her right shoulder and pulled her wand out from behind her back.

"Constant Vigilance," growled Ron, rolling his right eye in a very good imitation of Mad-Eye Moody.

Everyone laughed, but it was a bit forced.

"That's a neat place to keep it. Do you have some sort of holster?" asked Harry.

"I'm wearing a flat scabbard that fits in the small of my back," explained Hermione. "It was my grandmother's. She carried a dagger in it when she was a spy in France during the Second World War."

"Second World War!" exclaimed Ron. "Do you mean to tell me that Muggles had two World Wars?"

The car entered a garage. They were at the Ministry of Magic.

Percy ushered them into a waiting room and left them there while he entered an office.
They waited there silently for a while and then Neville tried to start a conversation with Luna and Ginny, but Harry didn't pay any attention to what they were saying.

Without any warning Dumbledore came striding in from the corridor.

"The deal has been all worked out," Dumbledore told them. "Just sign the confessions and accept the punishment. It'll all be over soon."


And then he left the room so quickly they had no chance to ask him any questions.

They seemed to have a while to wait. Luna began talking to Ron about the trip she was going to take to Sweden with her father. She promised him that if she saw any dragons, she would get a picture for him. Their goal of course was to find the elusive crumpled horn snorkack.

Harry pulled Hermione aside and asked her in whispers, "Why is Malfoy's owl watching your house?"

Hermione quietly answered him, "Dumbledore is afraid that the Death Eaters may try to use me to get to you. Everyone who read those awful lies that Rita Skeeter wrote in the Daily Prophet last year knows that I'm your girlfriend, even if it isn't true." She breathed a deep and meaningful sigh.

At that moment the office door opened and Percy announced that they should come in. Ron led the way into the office. Harry and Hermione were at the back of the group. Hermione suddenly gave Harry a quick kiss just before they went through the door. Harry was stunned and came to a stop, but Hermione continued through the door so he followed her in.

Harry was surprised to notice that there was no one else in the office. He had been expecting to see Madam Bones. Percy moved around to the other side of the desk and sat down. Harry saw Percy's name on a plaque on the desk and realized that this sunny and spacious office was Percy's.

"This is a nice office that you have here, Percy," quipped Harry.

"Thank you, Harry," acknowledged Percy. "You should have seen all of the stupid kitty cat pictures that were on the wall when I moved in. Madam Bones and the Minister of Magic are much too busy to be involved with the routine paperwork of a juvenile infraction," Percy stated airily. "I will be dealing with your disciplinary action myself."

He handed each of them an official looking piece of paper.

"As you can see from the form I have given you, you are all charged with trespassing into a forbidden area of the Ministry of Magic and damaging numerous irreplaceable prophecies," explained Percy. "If you agree to plead guilty to these charges, the Division of Juvenile Justice will officially accept the explanation of extenuating circumstances that appears at the bottom of the form. Specifically, the Juvenile Justice Authority will:

1) recognize that you were tricked into entering the Ministry of Magic and the restricted area by a powerful evil wizard,

2) credit you with stating the nature of your entry into the ministry as a "rescue mission",

3) note that the security guard was not at his post and that someone else had unlocked the doors into the Hall of Prophecies and

4) accept that the property damages were a result of your actions to defend yourselves from mortal peril.

To plead guilty to the charges, just place an 'x' in the box next to the word 'guilty', and sign at the bottom of the form. Do you have any questions? Yes, Hermione?"

"Percy, if we plead guilty to these charges, what will be our penalty?" she asked politely.

"I'm afraid you will all be given an official reprimand," said Percy.

"What, no torture!" exclaimed Ginny.

They all signed their forms and Percy read them the official reprimand. Harry was so relieved that they would not be sent to Azkaban that he didn't pay much attention to what Percy was saying. All it really amounted to was "rules are for your safety" and "when you are in trouble, get adult help". Harry didn't bother to point out that no official from the Ministry of Magic would have helped them to rescue Sirius Black, since he was an escaped criminal in their minds.

When Percy was done reading the official reprimand, he had to add his own two cents worth. "Now kids, you may think you've gotten off easy, but I warn you that having a notation of an official reprimand in your permanent record could seriously damage your prospects of employment at the Ministry of Magic."

It seemed to Harry that Percy was saying that he would never get a job as an auror as long as Cornelius Fudge was the Minister of Magic.

Percy also told Harry quite bluntly that what he had done was very stupid. The whole thing had obviously been a deadly trap, weather Sirius Black had been captured by Lord Voldemort or not. Harry could have gotten them all killed. Percy even choked up a bit when he pointed out that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would have been very hurt if Ginny and Ron had been killed.

Harry had been thinking the same thing for more than two weeks now.

After the reprimand was delivered, Percy led them to another waiting room where there was an ornate door labeled "Minister of Magic".

"Harry, Hermione and Neville, you stay here. The Minister of Magic wants to talk to each of you individually," said Percy. "Ron, Ginny and Luna, please come with me and I'll take you home now. We can't dawdle about as I must be back well before the trial begins."
Chapter 2 The Trial by king
Chapter 2 The Trial

Harry was quite nervous about meeting with Mr. Fudge. He was not looking forward to a lecture about the valuable prophecies that were destroyed in the battle. If he was fined for property damages, there probably wouldn't be enough gold left in his vault in Gringott's Goblin Bank to buy next year's school books. Neville was being very quiet. Hermione was unable to stifle a yawn. It didn't surprise Harry a bit when Mr. Fudge called for him to enter first, but it was a surprise that he seemed very cordial and friendly.

"Harry, come in and have a seat," invited Mr. Fudge kindly. "I spoke to Miss Granger last week. I'm issuing a decree this afternoon, and I thought you might want to see it in advance."

Mr. Fudge handed Harry an official looking document. It was a posthumous pardon for Sirius Black, and an official apology for his wrongful imprisonment.

"Fourteen years ago, all of the evidence indicated that Black was guilty," stated Mr. Fudge. "But unfortunately of course, things are not always as they seem to be. We made a mistake regarding Mr. Black. I deeply regret that this pardon and apology must be granted posthumously. You will be seeing wanted posters of Peter Pettigrew out soon."

Harry said nothing. He didn't feel like being thankful, but he had enough self control that he did not shout angrily at the Minister of Magic as he was trying to apologize.

"Harry, I owe you an apology too," he admitted. "I just could not believe that you-know-who was back when you told us that graveyard story last year. I didn't want to believe you, it was just too horrible. You don't understand what it was like when he was at the height of his power. The wizard community was divided and we were fighting among ourselves. Witches and wizards were dying and lots of Muggles were getting hurt too. You-know-who was using that seductive, evil, old argument. Take over. Enslave the Muggles. It would destroy our society as surely as it would destroy theirs, but it appeals to some. Governing wizards has always been difficult. On that Halloween night fourteen and a half years ago, when You-know-who disappeared, it was like a beautiful dawn after a horrible night of storms. It was a chance to rebuild our community. You-know-who had tricked many good people into following him."

Harry wondered why any good people would have followed a maniac who wanted to enslave the world. Then Harry realized that Mr. Fudge was talking about people like Lucius Malfoy, and Mr. Crabbe and Mr. Goyle. Mr. Fudge was no Death Eater, but he was a Slytherin and a friend to Slytherins.

"As Minister of Magic, it has always been my goal to bring about reconciliation within our community," Fudge continued. "The worst of the Death Eaters, like the Lestranges and Dolohov, were sent to Azkaban. Others were let off easy and allowed to plead that they had been under the imperious curse when no one seriously believed that. We hoped that the ones we let off the hook could be reformed and that the fear of Azkaban would keep them in line."

"When you announced that you-know-who had returned, and that all of his old followers had rejoined him, it threatened to destroy everything that I had worked for," said Fudge with a sigh. "But the worst has indeed happened. The evidence is now convincing. I didn't want to accept it, but I must."

"Harry, as long as I am Minister of Magic, I will devote myself to waging the war against You-know-who. Will you accept my apology?" he concluded.

Harry was not sure what to do. He was still angry at Fudge. Where was this pardon a year ago when Sirius was still alive? But Mr. Fudge seemed to be sincere. He was smiling and holding out his hand.

"All right," said Harry slowly as he took Fudge's hand, "What's next?"

"That's the spirit we need in our community right now, Harry!" beamed Fudge. "This afternoon I want you to testify in the trial of Jurgson and Dolohov. They are being charged with attempting to murder Miss Granger. The trial will focus only on the actions of these two men and the spells they cast in her direction. Questions about why you children or those men were in a restricted area are not relevant to the case and will not be discussed. I just want you to tell the truth about what happened in those few minutes when Jurgson and Dolohov were casting spells at Miss Granger. Can you do it, Harry?"

"Yes, I think so," said Harry simply.

"Excellent," said Fudge. "Now please tell me everything that happened between the time that you, Miss Granger and Mr. Longbottom left the Hall of Prophecies, and the time Miss Granger was injured."

So Harry told Mr. Fudge as many details as he could remember about that part of the fight in the Department of Mysteries. When he was finished, Fudge told him that his story matched very well with what Neville and Hermione had told him a few days earlier.

Fudge escorted Harry back to the waiting room and then he took Hermione into his office. Harry sat down next to Neville and after a minute they began to talk about Neville's summer plans, which to Harry seemed a lot more interesting than laying flagstone footpaths without magic. Hermione was in Fudge's office for only a few minutes. Then Neville was called in. Mr. Fudge talked to Neville for much longer than he had talked to Hermione, even longer than he had talked to Harry.

Hermione seemed to be in a quiet mood, which Harry thought was rather strange for her. He was disturbed by what she had said in the car. He wondered why her parents were changing cars, offices and driving routes so often. She had mentioned Tonks. He was very curious about what was going on at her house.

"So Hermione," Harry began tentatively, "you mentioned Tonks when we were in the car. Is she staying at your house?"

"Yes, she's been there for a week now," Hermione answered in a whisper.

"Why are you being so quiet?" asked Harry.

"Because I don't know who else is listening to us," she answered seriously.

This thought made Harry pause. He looked all around the waiting room.

"Hermione, I think Fudge is on our side now. He's trying to save his job. We can probably talk. The Ministry must have security here," he said quietly but optimistically. "We can't be scared all of the time," he said firmly, but he was thinking about how he grabbed for his wand every time a rabbit shook the bushes.

"Dad wants me to be able to stay at home this summer. He's taken all sorts of security precautions. We've got two dogs now, Dobermans. He's installed a bunch of alarms and hidden doors and mirrors," she said haltingly. "Yesterday we went to the police firing range. One of dad's old friends from the Marines arranged it. We shot guns," she said trembling. "Dad's a crack shot, he used to teach marksmanship, and mom's getting pretty good too. Uncle Jason arrived yesterday, he took a furlough. He's a paratrooper. He has a machine gun." She began to cry. "And … and…. grenades. They don't understand. They don't know what we're up against."

Harry put his arm around her shoulders. "Your family sounds very brave," he said. "And they're not helpless. Wizards can be killed by bullets."

"Wizards who are forgetful enough to go into battle without an imperturbable charm can be killed with bullets," she replied, "but what about the Dementors?"

Harry was silenced by this.

"I just don't know what Dumbledore has in mind," she said, "and I don't want to go back to Grimmauld place. It was miserable last summer. When you first saw the house we had been cleaning it for weeks. We had no privacy. We couldn't go outside. We couldn't go to their meetings. When I heard that they were guarding your house, I volunteered to help. They wouldn't let me." She was crying again. "I just wanted to see you."

Harry started to pat her on the back, felt her wand and moved his hand away.

"I'm sorry," she said straightening up, "I'll try to be brave."

"This war won't last forever, we'll make it through somehow," Harry said bravely.

And when it's over, he thought, I'll either be dead or a killer or maybe both.

Neville finally came out of Mr. Fudge's office, and the three of them went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch. Harry had dashed out of the house so fast that he had forgotten to grab any money and he had to borrow a few sickles from Neville. Hermione ate very little, just some soup. She said she had a "nervous stomach".

After lunch they found a lounge where they could wait until the trial started. Percy came in and took Neville away, leaving Harry and Hermione alone to talk again. They weren’t supposed to talk about the trial. Harry exhausted the subject of landscaping in about ten seconds. Hermione didn't want to talk about her fears or her family. Their conversation just didn't last very long. So they sat in silence next to each other on a sofa.

"Harry, I'm really tired," said Hermione "I was up until four in the morning. I was supposed to wake up Tonks at one, but she had had a rough day, so I decided to let her sleep until two. Then I drank too much tea and couldn't settle down, so I let her sleep until four. Is it alright if I take a nap?" she asked.

Harry didn't mind, he had nothing to talk about. She had a hard time getting comfortable, her wand jabbed her in the back when she slouched. So she ended up leaning on Harry's left shoulder. She fell into a deep sleep and seemed to be in danger of toppling over so Harry reached around with his right arm to hold her steady.

Harry had nothing to do but think and that was something he had been trying to avoid lately. Thinking always led to the same thing. Sirius fell through the veil. Hermione was nearly killed. Ron, Neville and Jenny were injured. Luna was knocked out cold. And it was all his fault.

He thought about the letters Hermione that had sent him last week. She had written about grief. She had told him that her grandparents had died just a few months before she started school at Hogwarts. It had been five years since her grandparents had died and she still missed them horribly. She said his grief over Sirius would never fully go away.
She thought it was a tragedy that Sirius had died when he did. The Ministry of Magic had finally accepted that Lord Voldermort had returned. Sirius could have cleared his name and would have been free to rejoin society. She said that the sharing of grief with family and friends made it easier to bear. She told him that he needed to hold on to the hope that he would see Sirius and all of his loved ones again some day in Heaven. It had helped.

Harry liked the feel of her leaning against him.

It was almost time for the trial to begin. Harry began to move a little bit. Hermione trembled a little and rubbed her eyes as she woke up. Harry heard a familiar clicking noise and then he saw Bozo, Rita Skeeter's cameraman.

"Thanks Harry," said Hermione. "I needed that nap."

Fifty witches and wizards in purple robes sat all around them in the elevated seats of the old court room. Two men in heavy chains sat in chairs in the center of the room, just where Harry had been last August. Harry sat with the witnesses in a row of seven chairs off to one side of the court room. Neville sat on Harry's right and Hermione on his left. Down the row of witnesses he recognized Mr. Ollivander, Kingsley Shacklebolt, a wizard he did not know and Madam Pomfrey. Harry scanned the courtroom and caught sight of Dumbledore sitting back towards the rear.

"The Trial of John Jurgson and Antonin Dolohov, on the ninth of July," read Percy, "Presiding Judge, Amelia Bones, Prosecutor, Cornelius Fudge, Court Scribe, Percy Weasley."

Madam Bones pounded her gavel and said, "Court is in Session. I remind all participants in this trial that we are focusing on the specific charges against the defendants. The trespass of children into a restricted area of the Ministry of Magic has been dealt with in a juvenile hearing and is not relevant to this case. The trespass of the defendants into the restricted area is also beyond the focus of this trial. Mr. Jurgson and Mr. Dolohov, you are accused of attempting to murder Miss Hermione Granger. How do you plead?"

The defendants were supposed to answer either "guilty" or "not guilty", but they said neither. Dolohov stood up and shouted, "This court is out of order. You have no right to try us. The Dark Lord is the One True Leader of all wizards. We do not recognize the authority of the Ministry of Magic." Then he sat down.

A murmur went through the crowd. Madam Bones pounded her gavel again.

"Let the record show that the court enters a plea of "not guilty" on the behalf of the defendants," said the judge. "You may begin to present the state's case, Mr. Fudge."

"Thank you, Madam Bones," said Fudge. "The state calls as the first witness Mr. Neville Longbottom."

Neville moved to the witness stand and was sworn in. Under the guidance of Fudge's questions Neville described in great detail how the three of them had hidden from the Death Eaters and what happened when two of the dark wizards came after them. He described how he had watched as Hermione crawled out from under a desk and one of the wizards had aimed his wand at her.

"Did you hear all or part of the incantation that the wizard said as he aimed his wand at Miss Granger?" asked Fudge.

"He said "Avada “-" answered Neville.

"Tell us what happened then, please," said Fudge.

"Harry tackled the wizard around his knees," replied Neville. “As the wizard fell, I saw a flash of green light shoot towards Hermione, but it missed her."

Neville then went on to describe the mad scramble that ended with the Death Eater falling into the strange bell shaped jar and coming out with the head of a baby. Then he described how they ran into an office, pursued by two Death Eaters who stunned them all with an impedimenta hex. He told them how Hermione was knocked down by a bunch of falling books but had managed to cast a silencing charm on one of the Death Eaters. He described the slashing movement the Death Eater had made with his wand and the purple flame that hit Hermione. He finished by describing how Harry had managed to petrify the Death Eater and how he had found a weak pulse in Hermione's wrist.

"Can you identify the wizard that cast the spell that downed Miss Granger?" asked Fudge.

Neville pointed to Antonin Dolohov.

Harry was on the witness stand for a very short time, he mostly just confirmed the story that Neville had told.

Hermione was asked to describe what she felt when the purple flame hit her. She told them she had felt an excruciating pain like a wild animal clawing at her insides, trying to get out. Fudge had her stand up and point to the parts of her body where the pain had been most intense. Then he asked her about her treatment in the hospital. It seemed important for him to establish that she had been unable to eat for more than a week. That Madam Pomfrey had resorted to inserting an IV line in her arm like a Muggle doctor. That she had to take ten different potions when she was able to swallow them. And that she still would get an upset stomach when eating certain foods.

Mr. Ollivander definitively linked two confiscated wands to Jurgson and Dolohov.

Kingsley Shacklebolt described the official investigation, including the use of prior incanto to determine that Jurgson's wand had been used to cast the death spell avada kedavra. And he testified that Dolohov's wand had been used to cast the entrail expelling curse.

The wizard Harry did not know turned out to be a healer from St. Mungo's Hospital. He described the entrail expelling curse in bloody graphic detail. It turns out that there really is a medical use for such a curse, in cases of acute poisoning. However it is difficult to keep the patient alive long enough to get his guts cleaned out and replaced. It was clear that Dolohov not only meant to murder Hermione, but to do so in a horrifying way that would frighten Harry.

Madam Pomfrey described Hermione's treatment as a way of confirming that she had indeed been the victim of a blunted entrail expelling curse.

Cornelius Fudge wrapped up the case for the prosecution and Madam Bones called on the defendants to present their case.

Antonin Dolohov took the floor for their defense but he did not call any of the witnesses for cross examination. He did not call any witnesses at all. He just started ranting and shouting at the judges of the Wizengamot. He said that he and Jurgson served the Dark Lord faithfully and proudly. That everyone else there was a fool and they would all be destroyed. Then he started gesturing at Hermione and shouting.

"Only a fool would call that Muggle born girl a witch! There is no place for impure blood in the wizard community! Freaks like her have no place in Muggle society either. Everyone would be better off if such accidents of nature like her were destroyed at birth."

Madam Bones began pounding her gavel and calling for order. The defendants were both standing now. They were making angry gestures and shouting at Hermione. Harry didn't catch all that they said in the chaos of the courtroom but he caught a few bits like: "Filthy Mudblood Wench", "Freakish Muggle Slut", "Dirty Mongrel Bitch", "Blood Polluting Prostitute", and "Race Defiling Whore". It stopped only when Madam Bones signaled to Percy and he cast silencing charms on the defendants.

Throughout the angry tirade of insults Hermione sat up straight and only winced slightly at the worst of the obscenities.

When things calmed down, Madam Bones directed Percy to, "Let the official record show that the defendants offered no defense." Then she said to Hermione, "Miss Granger the court apologizes for the abuse you have received."

"It's alright," said Hermione, "I've had better tongue lashings from a painting."

Madam Bones then called for the court to vote on the guilt or innocence of the defendants. Harry was surprised when only around four fifths of the judges voted for conviction. No one voted for acquittal, but about one fifth of the judges abstained. Harry wondered if they were afraid of Voldermort or if they agreed that Muggle born witches had no place in wizard society.

"The defendants are found to be guilty," declared Madam Bones, "We will now determine the sentences of the convicted. Mr. Fudge what is your recommendation?"

"If it pleases the court I ask that the convicted be sentenced to death," said Fudge in a businesslike way. "In view of the serious nature of the crimes that they have been convicted of today and taking into account their criminal records which include previous murders, I think that the most severe penalty is appropriate."

"The alternative to a death sentence is life imprisonment," offered Madam Bones. "Does anyone have anything to say on behalf of the convicted?"

There was silence in the court room as no one spoke up against the death penalty. Then to Harry's surprise, Hermione stood up. A lot of whispering broke out. Madam Bones recognized Hermione, "Miss Granger, do you have something to say?"

"If it pleases the court," began Hermione, "I ask that the lives of these men be spared. They are not entirely responsible for their actions. Their minds have been poisoned by Lord Voldermort's lies."

There was a lot of murmuring in the court when she used the Dark wizard's name. Harry noticed that Dumbledore smiled slightly.

Hermione continued, "If they are given long prison sentences, our society will be protected and we can hold onto the hope that some day they will see the error of their ways. If they are executed, we forever loose hope that they can be reformed. This is not about them, it's about us. We as a society can never surrender hope. We must never give up on faith or hope or love. I ask the court to attempt to reform these men."

Hermione sat down. There was a moment of silence in the court followed by widespread murmuring and whispering. More than a few of the judges were shaking their heads. Harry noticed that Mr. Fudge was staring at Hermione with a slight frown on his face. Harry was reminded of the way Ron would stare at a chessboard when Harry had made an unexpected or creative move. Then he saw Fudge nod his head slightly, just like Ron did before he made the move that would usually lead to Harry's defeat. Fudge made a little motion with his hand and Madam Bones recognized him.

"Mr. Fudge, do you have something to add?" she asked.

Fudge smiled at the crowd and especially at Hermione.

"Miss Granger is a sweet, kind girl and she shows great courage in defending her very liberal ideals in front of the very men who tried to murder her. We are lucky. Were it not for some desperate Muggle-style fisticuffs and a harmless silencing charm, she would no longer be a part of our community." He paused briefly and then continued more forcefully, "but I remind the court that we must follow the laws of the wizard community. Convicted criminals that want to be spared must earn our mercy by assisting the state."

He lowered his voice slightly, "I too cherish hope. I hope that at least some of the followers of you-know-who can be reformed." And then in a louder more businesslike tone, "So I ask the court to sentence these two criminals to death. This in the hope that a strong message will convince other prisoners now being held in Azkaban to save themselves by renouncing You-know-who and cooperating with our side."


The court voted for the death penalty. It looked like the vote would be close until Dumbledore raised his hand in favor of execution and about six other judges followed his lead. Harry glanced at Hermione and saw a look of disappointment, but he had no remorse about the sentence.

Madam Bones pounded her gavel and ordered the guards to remove the prisoners.
Then she announced, "The court is in recess for fifteen minutes. We will reconvene in the death chamber."

Everyone got up and began to shuffle towards the doors. Harry knew they were going up to level 9, to the Department of Mysteries, to the room with the veil. He looked up and saw that Mr. Fudge had approached.

"Miss Granger," said Fudge, "that was a most unexpected move. Your speaking against the death penalty was a complete surprise to me. Still, things worked out well. And I do hate it when no one speaks on behalf of the defendants. Well come along."

"I don't want to see the execution," Hermione said softly
.
"Miss Granger," said Fudge kindly, "if you don't see it with your eyes you will see it in your imagination. We don't use some barbaric Muggle form of execution like beheading or hanging or the eclectic chair. These men will pass from this life in the most peaceful way imaginable."

With Percy on one side and Mr. Fudge on the other, Harry, Hermione and Neville were led up to the death chamber on level 9.

"I don't want to see the execution," Hermione whispered to Harry and Neville as they walked into the room with the ancient arch and the shimmering veil.

"You can close your eyes," said Neville. "Harry and I are right beside you, we'll look out for you."

They took the seats they were led to. The prisoners were standing chained and blindfolded near the platform with the arch. The guards cast a befuddlement charm on the prisoners. Harry glanced at Hermione and saw that her eyes were closed. The captain of the guards spoke.

"John Jurgson, your family is calling you." he said.

Then the prisoner was levitated up and through the veil. Without a sound he was gone. A cold chill ran down Harry's back. He felt Hermione touch him, so he held her hand.

"Antonin Dolohov," said the guard, "your family is calling you."

Dolohov disappeared through the veil as quickly and as quietly as Jurgson had.

"It's over," Harry whispered to Hermione.

People were beginning to get up to leave.

"One more thing Miss Granger," said Fudge as he turned to leave, "when I asked you to dress pretty, like an innocent schoolgirl, I didn't mean like a Muggle schoolgirl."

Harry glared at Fudge's back as he walked away.

"Oh Harry," said Hermione, "I'm sorry I'm such a coward. It must have been awful for you to watch those men pass through the veil just like Sirius did."

She held his hands and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

"It doesn't seem to be a bad way to go now does it," said Percy in a chipper tone. "Neville, your grandmother is waiting for you in the atrium. You will return home by the flue network. Harry and Hermione, I'll be driving you home in the car."

They silently followed Percy up to the Atrium. In the atrium there was a ridiculous plastic statue of a witch that looked like it had been purchased at a Muggle discount store. It was holding a sign that said, "The Fountain of the Magical Brethren will return soon."

Neville left with his grandmother.

Harry and Hermione went to the garage with Percy and got into a black ministry car.

Chapter 3 The White Cliffs of Dover by king
Chapter 3 The White Cliffs of Dover

“Harry, do you think you could get away for the weekend?” Hermione asked on the way back to Number 4 Privet Drive. “My family’s going to the beach. We borrowed a cottage from one of mom’s patients.”

“The Dursleys would be happy to be rid of me for a few days,” Harry told her, “but I doubt if they will let me go if they think it might be fun.”

"I'll talk to your Aunt Petunia," said Hermione.

When they arrived at Harry's home, Hermione went in with him. Harry had to go directly upstairs to change back into his work clothes while Hermione went to the kitchen to talk to Aunt Petunia. She met him at the foot of the stairs when he came down in his baggy jeans and dirty t-shirt a few minutes later.

"It's all set with your aunt," Hermione whispered to him. "We'll pick you up on Friday afternoon if Dumbledore approves. Dad will call you and give you the details."

They went out the front door. Percy was standing next to the car impatiently
.
"I just hope they don't work you to death between now and then," Hermione said in a sympathetic tone. "I'll see you Friday."

She ran over to the car, but Harry called to her.

"Hermione," he called running after her, "I'm sorry. I almost got you killed. I don't want that to ever happen again. I don't want you in danger again."

"Harry," she said holding his hand, "Voldemort doesn't fight alone. Let your friends help you."

Hermione got into the car with Percy, and she blew a kiss to Harry as they drove away.

Harry walked around to the garden and retrieved his wheel barrow and shovel. Then he went back to the driveway and began loading sand. Uncle Vernon arrived home from work a few minutes later. He told Harry in no uncertain terms that all of the sand and flagstone had to be moved back into the garden and his car parked safely in the garage before Harry would get his supper. Harry worked as hard as he could, but it was nearly eleven o'clock before he earned a slice of bread and a piece of cheese for supper.

For the next three days Harry rose early and worked until past dark in an attempt to finish Uncle Vernon's footpath so he could go to the beach with the Grangers. The only thing interesting that happened was the arrival of the Daily Prophet on Tuesday. It was late. The owl didn't deliver it until mid-morning when Harry was working hard in the garden.

Harry was surprised to see that the story about the trial of Jurgson and Dolohov was not on the front page but buried on page seven. The story focused on Harry and even made it sound like he had cast the silencing charm that had blunted Dolohov's entrail expelling curse. Harry Potter saved the girl. That was the story. It implied that Hermione had been stupid enough to get caught in a bad situation and had to be rescued.

There was a photo of Hermione leaning on Harry's shoulder and shuddering while she rubbed her eyes. Harry knew that she was waking up from a nap, but it looked like she was crying. The caption beneath the photo read: "Terrified victim is comforted by her hero."

The author of the article was Rita Skeeter. She hated Hermione. Rita Skeeter also reported that Hermione was Muggle-born and that both of her parents were dentists. She might as well have had printed a map showing the location of her house.

The big news on page one, that had driven Rita Skeeter's mean little article to the back of the paper, was ominous indeed.

ANOTHER MASS ESCAPE FROM AZKABAN

Dementors Attack 3 Guards Dead, 1 Missing Lucius Malfoy a Fugitive

Yesterday afternoon the followers of You-Know-Who attacked Azkaban prison and freed all of the Death Eaters that were awaiting trial. It is rumored that the missing guard assisted the Death Eaters by opening a door. There were only four guards on duty at the time of the attack. Unofficial sources in the Ministry of Magic suggest that the heavy security arrangements for the trial of Jurgson and Dolohov in London contributed to the staff reduction at Azkaban. The attack on Azkaban was probably led by You-Know-Who himself and a handful of his followers joined by dementors
. (Continues on page 3.)

Most of page 1 was covered with headlines.

Fudge Resigns, Defends Record

Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic for the last 14 years, resigned yesterday evening when news broke of a massive escape of prisoners from Azkaban. He defended his record of attempting to bring reconciliation to the wizard community following the disappearance of You-Know-Who 14 years ago. (Story continued on page 4.)

Diggory New Minister of Magic

In a surprise move at an emergency session of the Wizengamot, dark horse candidate Amos Diggory was selected to be the new Minister of Magic. Amos Diggory was formerly Head of the Department of Magical Transportation. (Details on page 5).

Azkaban in Ruins

Details are revealed of the attack by dementors on Azkaban. (Story on page 6).

Krum Joins Tornados

Victor Krum, star seeker for the Bulgarian National Quidditch team, has signed a contract to play professionally for the Tutshill Tornados. (Sports coverage on page 2.)

2 Death Eaters Executed

Antonin Dolohov and John Jurgson, acknowledged followers of You-Know-Who, were convicted yesterday on the charges of attempted murder. (See page 7.)

Harry didn't have time to read the whole paper and he really didn't want to think about the escape of Lucius Malfoy and the other Death Eaters. He just hoped that all of his friends would be safe today and that he could make a lot of progress on Uncle Vernon's flagstone footpath. He thought he should be practicing defensive spells more and working on landscaping less, but he had to eat. And around here he had to earn his meals with physical labor. So he put aside the paper and went back to work.

For the entire week Harry worked hard all day long. At night, before going to bed, he would practice a couple of spells. Harry knew he could get in trouble for setting off spectacular magic, but he also knew he could cheat a little if there were no Muggles around. The spells he worked on were not spectacular, just lumos and accio. The Ministry of Magic didn't care if he used his wand as a flashlight or summoned some small object from across his bedroom as long as he was discrete.

Harry added a twist that he thought might reduce the ability of the Ministry to detect what he was doing and at the same time increase the defensive value of the spells. He was trying to set off the spells without his wand in his hand. The idea came to him one afternoon last week when he was working in Mrs. Figg's garden. He had been thinking about dementors, and the attack last summer in the alley. Part of his inspiration also came from a Star Wars movie that Dudley had watched on his VCR.

He would lay his wand down and move a few feet away from it. Then he would try to make it glow in the dark with a lumos spell cast with his empty hand. He knew it could be done. It had worked last year in the alley. It was difficult. He failed many times. Just when he began to think it would work only when he was terrified, he got a faint glimmer of light from his wand.
The Luke Sky Walker trick was even more difficult. He wanted to make his wand jump across the room and land in his hand. By Thursday night of the second week of summer, he could make his wand roll towards his hand, if it was less than a foot away.

On Wednesday afternoon there was a phone call from Hermione's father with instructions for the pickup on Friday. Mrs. Figg went shopping for him on Thursday and bought him a swimsuit and sandals. He paid her with sickles. She was always happy to get money she could spend in Diagon Alley without having to pay the high exchange fee that the goblins charged.

On Friday Harry finished up the footpath and then started weeding the flower beds. At a little after three o'clock he went into the garage where Sturgis Podmore was waiting. Sturgis had used an invisibility cloak to approach the house unseen and he had brought a vial of Polyjuice Potion. Harry yanked a few hairs out of his own head so Sturgis could finish the potion. In a few minutes Harry was looking at Harry.

"Yuk!" exclaimed Sturgis-Harry as he made a nasty face. "That stuff tastes horrible. Do you have anything to drink around here?"

"Aunt Petunia won't let me come in the house when I'm dirty unless I really have to," said Harry. "So when I'm thirsty I just take a drink from the hosepipe."

Then Harry had to explain to Sturgis-Harry how to turn on and off the water without using magic. While Sturgis-Harry went to the garden to get a drink of water, Harry changed clothes, picked up his backpack and put on his invisibility cloak. Then he walked out of the garage. Sturgis-Harry had moved to the front of the house, where he could be seen by prying eyes, and was busily pulling weeds from Aunt Petunia's petunias. Harry walked away from the house unseen.

He went a few blocks to the designated street corner and stood waiting by the stop sign. It was hot under the invisibility cloak and Harry quickly got tired of waiting. Fortunately it wasn't long before a strong looking man in his mid thirties drove up in an old classic green Triumph TR6 and stopped at the sign.

The man continued to look straight ahead as he said out loud, "My name is Jason."

The top was down on the Triumph so Harry hopped into the car without opening the door. He settled into the passenger seat and said, "Tallyho Corporal Granger."

They drove off.

After they had gone about a block Jason Granger muttered to Harry, "Corporal Granger? What kind of chicken shit insult is that? Did Jack tell you to say that?"

"Yes," said Harry defensively, "I said exactly what he told me to say."

Hermione's uncle reached over and touched Harry on the shoulder.

"Damn!" he exclaimed, "that’s a nice piece of camouflage! Where can I get one of those?"

"Invisibility cloaks are very rare and expensive," explained Harry. "I inherited mine from my father. I've never seen them for sale in Diagon Alley."

"Diagonally from where?" asked Jason.

Jason drove into the lot of an automobile repair shop and parked behind the building.

"We change cars here, for security," he explained. "We'll take that minivan there. I'll open the cargo door and toss in my gear, let me know when you're in so I don't slam the door on you. Once we leave here you can take off the invisibility cloak."

They pulled back out onto the street and Harry took off his cloak. "Hi," said Harry holding out his hand.

"Glad to meet you," said Jason, "I've seen pictures of you."

"Really!" exclaimed Harry, "where?"

"Hermione has about a dozen of them hanging in her bedroom," he laughed.

"Do you have a nickname, Potter?" asked Jason.

"No," said Harry "am I supposed to have one?"

"Yes, I'll issue one," he said officially. "We'll call you Dragon Killer."

"But I've never killed a dragon," said Harry, "I just had to steal an egg from one."

"What was that big snakey thingy in the secret chamber?" asked Jason.

"That was a basilisk, it was much worse than a dragon," said Harry.

"Dragon Killer is easier to remember," said Jason definitively.

"What's your nickname?" asked Harry.

"I have lots of nicknames," replied Jason, "most of them are obscene. You can call me Gunny."

They drove into the parking lot of a row of shops and stopped in front of a clothing store. Hermione, her mother and father and a strikingly beautiful blonde woman came out of the store and got into the van.

"Hi Harry," said Hermione happily, "you've met my mom and dad, right?"

"Call me Diane and this fellow Jack," said Hermione's mother.

"And you've met my Uncle Jason," Hermione gushed. "He's the second bravest man in the whole world."

"Ow! Witchy Girl," complained Jason, "When did I get demoted? This lady is Miss Marilyn Monroe from 1957," said Jason indicating the blonde.

"Wotcher Harry," said Tonks.

"Tonks!" laughed Harry, "why do you look like that?

"Because I lost a bet to this cheating twerp," she said indicating Jason Granger.

"She bet me I couldn't shoot a tin can off a fence just because she put a magic spell on it. But I knocked it off with one burst," bragged Jason.

"He sawed through the fence post with his machine gun," whined Tonks. "Is that fair?"

Two hours later they arrived at a small cottage by the sea. The cottage had electricity and running water but no television or phone, the Grangers thought that made it perfect. After supper they all went for a short walk to explore the neighborhood and to watch the stars come out. They could hear the waves pounding the beach and the sea gulls crying. After a while they went back into the cottage and Mrs. Granger played the old piano in the living room while Harry and Hermione sat on the sofa and listened.

Tonks and Jason went into the kitchen to clean up the dishes. There was a lot of teasing and joking going on in there. The cottage had two tiny bedrooms so it looked like someone would be sleeping in the living room. Jason devised a plan to "maximize security" by putting one magic user and one pistol packing non-wizard in each room.

"Hermione and her mother can take one bedroom," Jason explained. "Harry, you and Jack can take the living room. While Marilyn and I use the other bedroom," he finished with a grin."

"In your dreams, Gunny!" shouted Tonks, laughing.

Harry ended up sleeping on the sofa in the living room anyway but his roommate in the overstuffed chair was Jason. Hermione and Tonks took one bedroom while Hermione's parents used the other.

Saturday was a glorious day. Harry spent most of the day walking along the beach with Hermione. They waded, skipped stones, collected seashells and listened to the music coming from the pavilion but they didn't go swimming. Harry couldn't swim, unless he ate gilleyweed. Also they were holding their wands at all times, wrapped up in their towels.

They couldn't conceal wands in their swimsuits. In fact Hermione's new bikini didn't conceal much at all. It was golden brown and matched the color of her eyes with Gryffindor red and gold trim. Harry thought she looked really nice in it. She looked more slender than he remembered. When he asked her about that she admitted with a shy smile that she had lost some weight, mostly while in the hospital. Harry didn't want to talk about her hospitalization.

The Granger brothers had each carried a cooler down to the beach. Harry almost made the mistake of opening up Jason's red cooler to get a drink. He had thought Jason to be napping but that illusion was shattered when Harry tried to open the cooler. Jason's arm shot out incredibly fast to block Harry's movement. It startled him for a moment.

"The drinks and food are in the blue cooler by Diane, Dragon Killer," said Jason in a bored tone.

"So Gunny, what's in this cooler?" asked Harry.

"You and the witches have your wands with you, right? You wouldn't want Jack and me to be out here naked. Our guns are in the cooler," he explained. "Hermione and her mother are talking. Grab yourself a drink and come back, I have questions for you."

When Harry returned he had to warn Jason that there were a lot of things he wouldn't tell him about the wizards' world, and that a lot of what he did say would sound so crazy that Jason would have to keep it a secret to avoid sounding insane.

"I really just have one question," said Jason. "We had decided that Hermione would stay at home for the rest of the summer and I would stay and help defend the family. Then this old guy pops up in the middle of the living room. I don't know how he got in. He takes her to another room and talks to her for a few minutes. When they've finished, she announces that she has to leave for the rest of the summer. She won't tell us why. She won't say where she is going or what she is doing. So my question is this. Who is this Dumbledore character? Is he trustworthy?"

"I trust Dumbledore," said Harry. "But he keeps secrets from me."

Harry thought that Dumbledore had a tendency to shelter him from unpleasant truths. He didn't want to say that to the Grangers. Was there some unpleasant truth about the plan for Hermione?

That evening Harry and Hermione walked down to the seashore and made their way to a bench out at the end of the pier where they sat and watched the sunset.

"It's beautiful," Harry said as the sun sank into the sea, "the end of a perfect day."

"It's sad, when the day ends," said Hermione.

"Somewhere, on the other side of the ocean, the sun is rising," observed Harry.

"Do you think there's a peaceful country over there, where it's morning, where there's no war?" asked Hermione.

"Maybe," said Harry, "I like to think that the whole world isn't crazy."

"Will you take me there, Harry?" she asked.

"What?"

"Put me on your Firebolt and take me far away," she pleaded. "Take me somewhere there is no Voldemort or Death Eaters or dementors. Let's make a run for it, you and me. We could go to Mexico, or Australia or Hawaii. I'd wear a grass skirt and a lei and I'd do a hula dance for you if you would run away with me. Please, Harry." A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Hermione," he said putting his arm around her, "that sounds wonderful. It sounds sensible. But I can't run away. I have to stay. I have to face Voldemort. I have no choice."

"But why, Harry?" she asked in anguish, "Why can't you let someone else fight the war? You've done enough. You saved the Philosopher's Stone. You killed the Basilisk. You dueled with him in the graveyard. He just keeps trying to trap you and kill you."

"It's that prophecy," he said dully, "Voldemort has heard part of it, and he believes it. He thinks he has to murder me. He's tried five times. He won't quit. He'd follow us. The prophecy says I have to face him. It's him or me, we can't both live.”

"It's too dangerous, Harry," she said nervously. "He's so powerful. How can you defeat him?"

"I don't know," admitted Harry, "I've heard the whole prophecy, Dumbledore has a copy. It says that I have some power that the Dark Lord knows nothing about, a power that can vanquish him. But I don't have a clue what that power is."

They sat quietly as the day faded into twilight and a bright star appeared low in the west. Then Hermione spoke.

"Harry," she began, "tomorrow night Dumbledore will take me to a place where I'll be safe for the rest of the summer. It'll be one less child that the Order of the Phoenix has to worry about," she added a bit bitterly. "I can't tell you where I'm going or what I'll be doing. It may be impossible to contact you at all. I'll try to send you letters, I promise, but… I'll miss you."

They sat silently together and watched the stars come out. When it became uncomfortably cool they got up and began walking back to the cottage. Half way down the pier Harry put his left hand on Hermione's shoulder and she reached across his body and took his right hand. They had walked on for only a few steps when she stopped abruptly.

"Harry!" she said in a panic, "where's your towel?"

Harry ran back out to the end of the pier to fetch the towel that he had left on the bench. His wand was still safely rolled up inside of it. He took a deep breath and scanned up and down the beach, there were no signs of dementors. They walked back to the cottage.

That evening while Diane Granger played the piano, Hermione sang an old song at her father's request. It was called "The White Cliffs of Dover". They said it was one of Hermione's grandmother's favorites. It dated back to the Second World War.

There'll be blue birds over,
the white cliffs of Dover,
tomorrow,
just you wait and see.

There’ll be joy and laughter
and peace ever after
tomorrow
when the world is free.

It was a sad song, but it was hopeful. It was about a longing for peace and the end of a war. Harry thought it was very appropriate.

Sunday was another beautiful day. Jason teased the girls all day, even Diane. Hermione finally got tired of being called "Witchy Girl", and she complained.

"Jason, you used to call me Magic Princess, why did you change my name to Witchy Girl?" she asked him in an exasperated tone.

"Magic Princess sounds so pampered and spoiled," Jason explained, "Witchy Girl sounds sexy, more daring. What do you think Harry?"

"Oh yeah, Gunny," said Harry just to tease Hermione, "Witchy Girl is better. Somehow I can't see a Magic Princess being turned to stone, or beaten up by an animated tree, or befriending a werewolf, or…" his voice had lost the joking tone, "being surrounded by a hundred soul sucking dementors, or tied up at the bottom of an icy lake for an hour, or…"

"Harry! Shut up!" Hermione interrupted.

Her parents were staring at him in shock.

Hermione talked her dad into letting them stay at the beach until after sunset so it was very late when they arrived at the Grangers' house. Mr. Granger had found a public telephone and had called the Dursleys about being late. The Dursleys didn't want to be bothered by Harry coming in late, so the Grangers agreed to take him home with them for the night.

When they approached the Grangers' house Tonks told Harry to get under his invisibility cloak and she hid under it with him. The six of them entered the house, but it looked like only the four Grangers. Harry wondered if their arrival was being reported to Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters or if they were just being paranoid.

Since Dumbledore would be arriving soon to take Hermione away, Harry was given her room for the night. Her father showed Harry where to put his things while Hermione said good-bye to her mother in the kitchen. When Harry came downstairs he saw Hermione in the living room and walked over towards her.

"Harry," she said, "will you please give me a kiss before I leave? I won't see you until September."

Harry held her hands and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey," said Jason, "get your own girl!"

Hermione came into the living room and asked, "What's going on in here?"

"I was just teasing Gunny," Tonks said with a laugh. Then she warned Harry, "Try to do a good job of kissing the real Hermione. That little smack was pathetic."

"She does me perfectly doesn't she," said Hermione. "It's like having a twin."

They heard a crackling sound in the dining room. Dumbledore wandered into the living room and gave Harry a smile. "Say your goodbyes, it's time for her to go," he said.

Harry gave Hermione a decent hug and kiss. She broke away from Harry to give her father a kiss and then she took Dumbledore's outstretched hand.

"Where are you taking her?" asked Harry.

"Don't worry about Miss Granger, Harry," said Dumbledore. "She will have a hundred body guards watching her this summer."

Hermione was wearing a T-shirt and jogging shorts over her bikini, she had sandals on her feet. She held a small bag that could not hold much more than a toothbrush. Harry supposed her wand was in the scabbard that fit on her back. She smiled weakly at him and suddenly disapparated with Dumbledore.

"She's traveling pretty light for a seven week stay," observed Harry.
Chapter 4 Drill Instructors by king
Chapter 4 Drill Instructors

Harry dreamed that a dragon was chasing Ron. He swooped down to rescue him but Ron couldn't fit on his Firebolt because Hermione was taking up too much space. Then Harry fell off and the dragon came after him. The dragon changed into Dolores Umbridge and Harry couldn't run away. He struggled to move his legs.

He woke up. He was in Hermione's bed. Crookshanks was sleeping on his legs.

Harry vowed to write Ron a letter later in the day. He decided he wouldn't mention the part about sleeping in Hermione's bed. Maybe he wouldn't mention the beach trip at all.

He looked around Hermione's bedroom. He hadn't really gotten a good look at things last night. Prominent among the stuffed animals were two dogs, one yellow and the other green. There were awards from the school she had attended before Hogwarts. There was an old picture of a couple with two boys. One boy was about Harry's age and looked like Hermione's dad. The other boy looked to be about five. That would be Jason he thought. There was a picture of a very young Hermione cuddling a purple poodle. It looked like a real dog, except for being purple. There was a picture of Hermione's family at what appeared to be a birthday party in the garden, during summer. Her dad held skis and goggles and poles that looked very out of place in the summer scene. Hermione looked to be about three or four. Next to that one was another picture of the three year old Hermione. This one was a close up. She was wearing the same summer dress. Her face was beaming and there was snow in her hair.

"Good Morning," said Jack Granger coming into the room. "Diane has fixed breakfast. Come down as soon as you are ready. We'll be taking you home by a round about way. We'll change cars midway. You should hide under that nifty cloak of yours."

Before Mr. Granger could leave the room, Harry stopped him with a question. "Why is this dog purple?" he asked indicating the picture of Hermione with the poodle.

Mr. Granger laughed. "His name was Fritz. Nasty yapping little mutt, but Diane and Hermione doted on him. They spoiled him completely, he was their dog." Then he pointed to the yellow and green stuffed dogs. "Those were the precious puppies, cartoon characters, way too sweet. There were three of them. Hermione got the yellow one and the green one for her fourth birthday. We promised her that she would get the purple one for Christmas, but three months is a long time for a little girl to wait. I came home from class one day in early October and she told me that I could buy her a different present for Christmas. Fritz had turned into the purple precious puppy. That started the pastel animal phase. You never knew when you might see a lavender sparrow or a pink rabbit or a pale blue squirrel somewhere around the neighborhood."

It was almost mid-morning when Harry returned to 4 Privet Drive. He walked the last two blocks under the cover of his invisibility cloak and went around the house to enter through the back door. Aunt Petunia had a list of chores for him to do but after lunch he was free to go over to Mrs. Figg's house. Mrs. Figg had told his aunt that she needed Harry's help moving furniture.

"Good news, Harry," said a smiling Mrs. Figg, when Harry arrived in her living room. "I received permission from the Ministry of Magic for you to use you wand in my house. Now you won't have to break your back to move my furniture."

She showed Harry the letter from the Ministry. It said that he had permission to use specific charms and spells in Mrs. Figg's house, provided there were no Muggles present. It went on to list the spells that he could use: levitation, summoning, repulsion, packing, breaking, repairing and cleaning.

"Thank you, Mrs. Figg," said Harry. "It'll be good to have some practice with these spells. What pieces of furniture do want moved?"

"Oh I don't want you to move any of my furniture, everything is exactly where I want it," she said mischievously. “Dumbledore suggested that you needed some practice using objects to block spells. You need some self defense exercise."

Harry couldn't help but smile at Mrs. Figg's enthusiasm but he didn't see how he could learn much about casting defensive spells from a squibb.

"Are you going to teach me some defensive spells?" Harry asked playfully.

"Oh goodness no," said Mrs. Figg. "You know the spells for moving objects around. We're just going to practice what you learned at school. You can try to manipulate several objects at the same time. You can work on precision of movement and speed."

She pulled out a black object that looked a bit like a flashlight or a marker pen.

"This is my magic wand," she said gleefully. "It's a laser pointer that I bought at an office supply store. I'll say some incantation and point it at you, like this. And if you have a red spot on you, you're dead!"

There was an intense red light shining from Mrs. Figg's pointer. Harry looked at his chest and saw a red dot of light near his heart.

"Now dear, just levitate that hassock straight up about three or four feet so it blocks the laser beam," she ordered.

Harry levitated the hassock until the red spot on his chest disappeared.

"That's the way dear!" she exclaimed. "Now we'll play hide and seek laser tag. I'll count to ten while you go into the parlor. When I'm done counting, I'll come into the parlor and blast you with a killing spell from my laser pointer magic wand. You have to put some object between you and me that blocks the little red spot."

Mrs. Figg started counting to ten. Harry was a bit taken back. He had rarely played hide and seek with Dudley for fun. He had mostly hidden from Dudley to avoid getting beat up.

"I'm up to 5, Harry dear, you had better run," teased Mrs. Figg
.
Harry dashed into the parlor and started to look for some object he could levitate. That table lamp, it had a fat round base.

"10," said Mrs. Figg loudly. "Ready or not here I come!"

"I'm Mr. Rookwood, and I'm going to blast you good," she said happily.

Harry levitated the lamp and moved it towards the middle of the room to block Mrs. Figg's line of fire.

She raised the laser pointer and said "owhoopeedoo iseeyou".

Harry tried to make a quick move with the fat lamp as she was saying her goofy incantation. He almost got the lamp into position when the lamp's electric cord knocked a cat picture off an end table. The picture frame shattered when it hit the floor. The lamp came to a sudden stop a foot short of where Harry wanted it to be. There was a red dot on his belly.

"Oh no!" cried out Mrs. Figg, "The bad guys got Harry!"

"Electric cords…" said Harry, "there are a lot of things around here that are not as mobile as they look."

Harry repaired the picture frame and glass and put the lamp back on the end table.

"Let's try that again Harry dear," said Mrs. Figg sweetly as she returned to the kitchen.

"Since you're already in the parlor, I'll just count to five. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!" She counted so fast Harry didn't have time to think at all. "Here comes Mr. McNair to suck out your air."

She suddenly appeared in the door with her laser pointer aimed right at him.

"Vacuumous yourlungsout," she shouted playfully.

Harry dove behind her tattered old recliner chair knocking over a floor lamp and breaking the globe.

"Oh I missed," she exclaimed. "Harry you're not supposed to dive behind things, this is levitation practice."

"It worked didn't it," he said defensively.

"I suppose it did," she admitted, "but my spell hit the chair. It would be gone now. Harry, would you please hit that beat up old chair with a reducto curse."

He cast the spell on the chair and it crumbled to dust. He was down on his knees with a batty old woman aiming a laser pointer right at him.

"Thank you dear, now I have a clear shot," she said triumphantly
.
"Wingardium leviosa," yelled Harry.

"Vacuumous yourlungsout," yelled Mrs. Figg.

The picture frame that Harry had just repaired flew through the air and partially blocked the red laser dot that briefly appeared on his chest.

"That's better!" said Mrs. Figg. "I probably just winded you with that attack. But maybe you should use a bigger object for your shield next time."

Harry repaired the lamp he had knocked over and then he repaired the picture frame again. There was nothing to be done with the dust of Mrs. Figg's old chair but to sweep it up and chuck it into the bin. Mrs. Figg was happy because she wanted to buy a new chair anyway. Harry took advantage of the break to study the room. He picked out several objects that he could use for shields like a footstool and a sofa cushion.

Mrs. Figg played laser tag with Harry for over an hour. It was great fun. It was abundantly clear that Mrs. Figg knew nothing about offensive magical spells or incantations, but she knew the names of a lot of Death Eaters and she was very creative at inventing silly spell names and incantations.

"I'm Mr. Nott, I'll make you rot - Festerous fungusmold".

"I'm Mrs. Lestrange, I'll give you some pains “ Wagoney Ofagony".

"I'm Mr. Malfoy, I'm going to kill you boy - Homocido Manio".

By the end of an hour Harry had improved enough to block some of her shots. He had also gotten a lot of practice repairing broken furniture. Then Mrs. Figg brought out tea and biscuits.

"We'll work on levitating objects to block spells for about an hour a day for the rest of the week," she said cheerfully. "I haven't had so much fun in ages."

"It's difficult to float objects to just exactly the right place at just exactly the right time," observed Harry. "This practice might actually be useful, and it's fun!"

Harry helped himself to another biscuit.

"It's so ironic," said Mrs. Figg. "Here I am helping to train the most powerful young wizard in Britain, and I'm a Squibb! Have you been reading your spells this summer?" she asked.

"In the evenings," answered Harry. "I've been practicing summoning too."

"Is that wise, Harry?" asked Mrs. Figg. "You're still underage."

"I think I can get away with it if I don't do any big spells and especially if I don't use my wand," rationalized Harry. "I think the Ministry of Magic ignores the stuff that happens around kids because they don't use wands."

"Magic without your wand?" said an amazed Mrs. Figg. "Does it work? What are you doing?"

Harry placed his wand on the table and held his hand about a foot away from it.

"Accio," he said.

The wand rolled to his fingertips.

"That could be useful if you can increase your range," observed Mrs. Figg. "You should practice that one here too. You have permission from the Ministry to use summoning charms in my house to help move furniture."

When Harry got back to the Dursleys' house he noticed Uncle Vernon's car was parked out in the driveway. Then to his great surprise he saw that Dudley was working, yes working, in the garage.

"What's up Dudder's?" asked Harry as he entered the garage.

"I don't want to get out of shape this summer," Dudley declared. "I have a boxing title to defend."

He had turned the garage into a gym with weights, punching bags and sparring gear.

"Wonderful," observed Harry grimly.

"You want to learn how to box?" asked Dudley.

"What? So I can be your punching bag? Those days are over Dudley." said Harry bitterly.

"Oh I've got punching bags," Dudley said brightly. "I need a sparring partner."

"I don't think so," said Harry.

"Don't be a chicken," taunted Dudley. "Boxing is a sport. No one ever gets hurt. You wear a sparring helmet and a mouthpiece and of course gloves. And I'd have to teach you some basic moves or you'd be worthless to me as a sparring partner."

"You want to teach me to box?" said Harry incredulously.

"In two or three weeks you'll be up to speed. Then you can spar with me," answered Dudley.

"Alright," said Harry. He thought that working out and learning some boxing moves would be worthwhile. He had no intention of ever really sparring with Dudley Dursley.

Harry's routine for the third week of summer vacation was: chores in the morning, practice levitating objects in the afternoon, lifting weights, and learning to box in the evening. Then he would write a letter and read some spells before bed. There was nothing like keeping busy to take one's mind off of Lord Voldemort. Harry's sleep was untroubled by strange dreams or visions. He didn't think about why that should be so. Occlumency practice was soon forgotten.

The best part of the third week of summer was the mail. On Tuesday, Harry got an owl from Ron that told him about the Dragon census work. He also got a package in the Muggle post. It came from a photography studio in Hastings. His Aunt and Uncle both stared at him suspiciously as he opened the package.

"Who would send you something in the normal mail?" demanded Uncle Vernon. "Are you sure it's safe to open that thing?"

It turned out to be a framed photo of Hermione on the beach.

"Humpf," grunted Uncle Vernon. "Misguided girl. Too skinny too."

Dudley was more favorably impressed. "Cute girlfriend you've got," he said.

"She's a good friend," said Harry, "but she's not my girlfriend."

"Humpf," grunted Dudley, "she sends a bikini picture and she's just a good friend? I've always known you were strange but I never thought you were stupid. If she's not your girlfriend, will you introduce me to her?"

"Oh Dudley," said Harry, "I don't think so. She's a witch. She's talented. She's smart. She studies hard. She's thoughtful and kind. She's brave and loyal. She's attractive. You have absolutely nothing in common with her."

On Wednesday Harry got an owl from Professor McGonagall. He was invited to return to Hogwarts for two and a half weeks to be a student instructor at the YWWMC, Youmg Wizards' and Witches' Magic Camp. It was a program for young kids from wizard families. The children would spend a week at Hogwarts having fun and learning a bit about magic. There were two sessions that lasted one week each. Each year two of the older students from each house were chosen as instructors. The student instructors would get a few days of training before the first batch of kids arrived.

The student instructors also had to form an all-Hogwarts Quidditch team. They had to do this in a week and a half! They would play an exhibition game at the end each week to entertain the kids. Their opponents this year would be the Chudley Cannons and the Tutshill Tornados. Harry thought the Hogwarts team would be smashed by the professionals, even if they had a year to practice. But it would entertain the kids and give the professionals an easy pre-season workout.

Harry was overjoyed! He was going back to Hogwarts in mid-summer.

On Thursday a letter from the Grangers arrived for Harry by Muggle post.

Dearest Harry,

I have permission to exchange letters with my parents once a week. I am secretly slipping this letter for you in with the letter to mom and dad. Address your reply to our house and send it by Muggle post. Mom will forward your letters to me along with theirs.

I am safe here, so you don't have to worry about me. My protectors are absolutely trustworthy. They just don't like me. We don't understand each other. They never talk to me. The first two days have been very hard. The work is exhausting and I'm lonely.

Please write to me. Tell me everything that's going on. I constantly worry about you. If nothing interesting is happening around you, then tell me all of the boring details. Did you get the photo I ordered? Have you heard from Ron or Ginny? Is there any war news in the Daily Prophet? Have you been able to practice magic?

Being cut off like this makes me realize how important friends are. Harry you have such an awful burden to bear. You will need all of the friends you can get. If you offended anybody last semester, student or teacher, you should write to them and try to patch things up.

Dumbledore is the only human who knows where I am and I haven't seen him since Sunday night. You are the only wizard I am in contact with. Please write. I have nothing here to read.


Yours,

Hermione



Harry found the letter from Hermione to be as disturbing as it was reassuring. It was good to hear from her. It was important that she be safe. But it sounded like she was unhappy. Surrounded by non-humans? Where was she? She had to have permission to exchange one letter a week with her parents? Was she in prison? He found himself staring at her photo a lot. He wrote a long letter to her about laser tag, boxing and chores.

Hermione was concerned about him. She said that he needed all of the friends he could get and that he should write apology letters to people he had offended. What did she mean by that? Who had he offended? Snape? Harry did not like the idea of apologizing to him. He would start with someone else. Who else had he offended? Zacharias Smith? That can't be what she was talking about.

Should he apologize to Ron and Ginny and Luna and Neville for almost getting them all killed? They would forgive him, but he should say "I'm sorry, I'll be more careful next time."

Was there anybody else? Cho Chang did some crying last semester. Harry decided to write her first.

Dear Cho,

I'm sorry I was such a jerk last semester. I hurt your feelings and I regret it.

I would like to be your friend.

I know we are attracted to each other, but it is probably best for you if I am not your boyfriend. I could never replace Cedric. His death still haunts me. I share your grief over his loss. I went from being jealous of Cedric, to respecting him, to genuine friendship. We agreed to share the glory of winning the Triwizard Cup. Then we were suddenly in that graveyard and he was the only friend I had. Then he was murdered.

I heard that you were seeing Michael Corner. I think he's OK. You need a guy who was in the DA and who can protect you during this war.

I admire the way you stuck up for Marietta Edgecomb. It shows that you are loyal to your friends. I'm not angry at her anymore. I know how difficult it is to stand up in the face of political pressure. Tell her that if she apologizes to me, I'll forgive her.

Harry



On Wednesday morning of the fourth week of summer, Harry boarded the Knight Bus to travel to Hogwarts. Dedalas Diggle and Elphias Doge, were on the bus when he got on board. He took all of his stuff in his big trunk because he wasn't sure what he would need.

Harry met the rest of the YWWMC student instructors at lunch in the Great Hall. Katie Bell was the other student from Gryffindor. The students from Hufflepuff were Ernie MacMillan and Cindy Chambers. From Ravenclaw the instructors were Michael Corner and to Harry's surprise Cho Chang. From Slytherin it was Harry’s nemesis Draco Malfoy and his girlfriend Pansy Parkinson. Working with them was going to be difficult. Pansy wasn't a Quidditch player, because the Slytherin team was all male. But they had seven players without her.

Since there were only eight sixth and seventh year student instructors they ate at the same table along with the Hogwarts teachers that would train them and provide adult leadership. To Harry's great relief Professor Snape was not among them.

Harry wasn't sure what to expect from Cho, they were not on speaking terms when he had last seen her. But Cho gave Harry a smile and pointed him to an empty seat between her and Katie Bell.

"Hi Harry," Cho said with a warm smile. "Your apology is accepted. That was a nice letter you wrote. Friends?"

"Thanks Cho," said Harry said Harry smiling back. "Yes, friends."

"Have you seen the schedule yet?" she asked.

"No, where can I get one?" asked Harry.

"Professor McGonagall has them. We'll be working together for flying classes," Cho informed him enthusiastically. The Magic class this year is called Self Defense, we'll be doing that one together too."

"Self defense?" said Harry incredulously. "I thought these were young children. They won't even have wands."

"We provide them with some cheap bamboo wands that we have to enchant before class. The kids can't really cast spells, but they can set off those that are preloaded into the wands. It makes them think they can do magic," she explained.

"You sound like an expert," said Harry. "Have you done this before?"

"I was an instructor last year," she said. "It's a lot of work so pay close attention during training classes."

The children could get themselves in a lot of trouble and even danger if they ran around Hogwarts unsupervised, so the idea was to keep them busy with activities all day long. There were eight activities for the kids: Flying supervised by Madam Hooch, Magical Creatures supervised by Mrs. Grumbly-Plank, Famous Witches and Wizards supervised by Madam Pince, Sports and Games supervised by Professor McGonagall, Self-Defense supervised by Professor Flintwick, First Aid supervised by Madam Pomfrey, Potions and Cooking supervised by Professor Sprout and Swimming, which was supervised by Professor Vector who normally taught arithmancy
.
Harry was assigned to Sports and Games and First Aid in the mornings and Flying and Self Defense in the afternoons. Professor Vector seemed to be a bit disappointed that Harry would not be working with her. She seemed to believe that he was good at rescuing people from the lake. The student instructors spent the rest of Wednesday and all of Thursday and Friday in training sessions with the course supervisors, and with Quidditch practice.

It was a lot of work, especially preparing for the Magic Class in Self Defense. Like Cho had said, they had a box of cheap bamboo wands with a flobber worm heart for the core. A talented wizard could use one to do simple spells, but they weren’t very good. For the kids to get anything out of them they had to be enchanted with specific spells beforehand. Since a flobber worm heart has six chambers, each wand could store up to six spells. Harry finally learned what magical thing flobber worms do. Their hearts have no muscles, they pump blood magically. The wands were loaded with spells for Levitation, the Imperturbable Charm and a Shield Charm, two shots of each. To preload a single spell into one of the wands required two charms, one to enchant the wand to accept a spell and then the spell itself. Harry and Cho had to cast twelve charms to load each wand, and they had a whole box of bamboo wands to load. He soon understood why Professor Flintwick supervised this class. It was a lot of charms work.

The sports and games class involved a lot of relay races and various ball games, usually involving some sort of enchanted ball or bat or another object. The purpose of this class was to give the kids a good physical workout so they would be easier to manage in the other classes. Professor McGonagall would tell them what to do and blow a whistle. Harry could see that he and his partner, Cindy Chambers would be getting a workout too.

Harry's partner for First Aid class was Pansy Parkinson. Harry was glad he didn't have to work with Draco Malfoy. It was at least possible to work with Pansy.

Flying class would be the best. Harry could use his Firebolt and he got to work with Cho. They would concentrate on teaching the kids basic maneuvers, landing, flying through hoops and the like. Madam Hooch made Cho and Harry practice the spell for stopping a falling object over and over and over again. She wanted them to be prepared to catch any children that fell off of their brooms.

Madam Hooch also helped the student instructors to organize their Quidditch team.

To choose their team captain, each student wrote the name of his choice for captain on a piece of paper and they tallied up the votes. Harry voted for Katie Bell a Gryffindor chaser. Katie only got one vote. Ernie MacMillan got two votes. That surprised Ernie, because he and Cindy Chambers had conspired to both vote for Harry. Harry got four votes and was declared to be the captain.

They had two players from each house except Slytherin, but the team didn't have a perfect mix of skills. There were two chasers, Katie Bell from Gryffindor and Cindy Chambers from Hufflepuff. They needed to have three chasers. They had two beaters, Michael Corner from Ravenclaw and Ernie MacMillan from Hufflepuff. They didn't have a keeper, but they had three seekers, Harry, Cho and Draco. They only needed one seeker. Harry had to choose one of the seekers to be the keeper and one to be a chaser. Harry selected Malfoy to be the keeper. He thought Cho was a better seeker than Malfoy and Katie and Cindy did not want Malfoy to be a chaser. Harry chose Cho as the seeker and he became the third chaser.

They practiced every day. Harry knew they would be beaten by the professionals, but he didn't want to be humiliated.

Harry decided to use his time in the evenings at Hogwarts to do a bit of research in the library. He had to figure out what sort of power he had that Lord Voldemort knew nothing about. He visited with Madam Pince in the library and checked out a pile of spell books. He planned to study the spell books in his room, which he had all to himself.

On Saturday morning after Quidditch practice, most of the student instructors went into Hogsmead, but Professor McGonagall thought it would be better if Harry stayed in the castle. She had learned of his furniture moving job at Mrs. Figg's and she had a job for him to do. In the east wing of the castle there were two rooms that were used to store enchanted items. To a Muggle these rooms would appear to be full of worthless old junk, but it was magical junk. Harry's job was to put all of the enchanted stuff into one of the rooms so the other room could be cleaned up and used as a classroom for the YWWMC.

He started by rearranging the junk that was in the room he was to pack. His plan was to clear enough space to bring in the junk from the other room that he had to empty. While he was working on this chore, he found an old friend. It was the Mirror of Erised.

Harry had all day Saturday to finish moving the junk from one room to the other. The Mirror of Erised proved to be a powerful temptation. After he had rearranged all of the things in that room so he could bring in the stuff from the other room, he gave in and pulled the sheet off of the enchanted mirror. He knew that the mirror merely showed him his heart's deepest desire, not the truth. There was no reality or predictive value to what he would see. When Harry was eleven, he saw his parents in the mirror. He thought it wouldn't hurt to dream about being with them for a few minutes. But Harry wasn't eleven anymore, what he saw was a surprise.

The Harry in the mirror was grown up. Imagine that, Harry thought, my deepest desire is to live long enough to grow up. There were children. He saw his wife. Why hadn't he seen this coming? His eyes were drawn especially to the boy, his first child, his son. Harry guessed he was about ten. The boy had wild black hair and glasses, like Harry. He smiled and waved at Harry. He had golden brown eyes, Hermione's eyes.

He covered up the mirror and sat down on the floor. He had to think about this.

Could this fantasy possibly come true?

He had to kill Lord Voldemort. How could he do this? He had no clue.

Everyone he had ever been close to had been murdered. Hermione's near death haunted him. He couldn't put her in such danger. If he loved her, he should forget his heart's deepest desire. She would be better off with someone else. Ron cared for her. Ron was from a large family of wizards, he could protect her.

He sat there through lunch. He didn't get up until mid afternoon.

As Harry walked slowly down the darkened corridor he heard a sound coming from a classroom. There was no one else in this part of the castle. But there was a swishing sound. Like a snake crawling across a floor.
Chapter 5 The House Elf by king
Chapter 5 The House Elf

Harry stopped and listened. He pulled out his wand and planned his attack.

He would use a flagration spell. He would burn the snake.

The door was cracked ever so slightly. He couldn't see into the room, but he could kick the door open. His first spell would be the killing blow.

He took a deep breath and listened for the swishing sound. He sprang.

He kicked the door open violently and jumped into the room. There was sudden movement, he aimed his wand. He heard a girl shriek. He stopped.

The girl was sprawled on her back next to a bucket, trembling in terror. She was nearly naked.

"Harry!" she exclaimed, "Oh, you almost scared the pee out of me!"

"Hermione? What are you doing here?" he asked as he lowered his wand.

"I'm cleaning the floor," she said.

"But why are you here, at Hogwarts? Why didn't you tell me you'd be here? Why are you wearing a bikini… made of rags?" he asked.

He looked at her skimpy garments. The only thing that looked substantial was the wand scabbard on her thigh. The rest of it looked like it would blow off in a stiff breeze.

"You're wearing tea towels!" he exclaimed.

"Harry, you're not supposed to see me!" she said as she got to her feet.

"Does this have something to do with House Elves, Hermione?" he deduced. "Why are you dressed in tea towels and scrubbing floors?"

He noticed that her knees had scabs and that a trickle of blood ran down her shin.

She hung her head as if in shame, her face hidden by her bushy brown hair.

"I'm being punished," she said reluctantly.

"What…?"

"It's for the elf hat thing," she explained. "I was so stupid."

Harry just let her continue.

"You see, students can't free House Elves. Only the headmaster has the authority to give clothes to an elf. As a Prefect I should have known better. When a student gives an elf a hat or socks or whatever, the poor elf can't go free. It's just a message to the elf. The elf thinks the student is saying, 'You're doing a lousy job and you should be sacked.' It's a terrible insult."

"You insulted the House Elves?" said Harry.

"I put more effort into insulting the House Elves than any other student ever has in all of Hogwarts' history," she said sadly.

"But you were trying to free them. You were trying to be kind to them," Harry argued.

"I'm not being punished for what I tried to do. I'm being punished for what I did. I hurt their feelings. I hurt their feelings repeatedly. I caused unrest," she sighed. "I'm serving detention for the rest of the summer, because I abused school property. Prefects shouldn't do that."

"Detention for the whole summer! Scrubbing floors! Wearing rags! That's harsh!" Harry raged.

"It was an excuse to force me to agree to being locked up for the whole summer," she said bitterly. "I'm safe here, no burden to anyone. Dumbledore didn't want me at 12 Grimmauld Place. Children get in the way. I had a choice, detention or expulsion."

"So this is the safe place Dumbledore arranged for you?" asked Harry.

"I'm sentenced to work with the House Elves all summer. I thought there could be a positive side to it. I thought it would give me a chance to see what their lives are really like. I thought it would help me to refine S.P.E.W. I want to learn what they really need to make their lives better, that hat thing was so immature," Hermione explained.

"Dumbledore just said I had to work with them, but I choose a total emersion program. I'm living with them. I'm living like them. For the rest of the summer, I'm a House Elf."

Harry couldn't help but smile, Hermione never did anything half way.

"So how's it going?" he asked cheerfully.

"Horribly," she said sadly. "I thought that I would learn all about them, their desires and their dreams. Now I just want to survive until classes start."

She looked absolutely miserable.

"I just hope that by the end of the summer a few of them will forgive me, even if they can't understand me. I just want a few of them to talk to me," she said sadly.

"Hermione, you poor thing, you've been scrubbing floors for two weeks on your hands and knees?" said Harry sympathetically.

"Oh no," she said, "I've been on floors for only one week. The first week was much worse. Newbees always get the nasty jobs."

"Worse than this? What did you have to do?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Hagrid's away. That Grumbly-Plank woman didn't arrive until yesterday. Someone had to take care of his collection of beasts."

"You had to feed Fang and Fluffy?" he surmised?

"Them and a dozen Hippogrifs and the Thestrals. I hate Thestrals." she said shaking.

"You can't see them, can you?" Harry asked.

"No, I kept my eyes shut during the executions. I should have watched. I was so stupid. I don't like capitol punishment," she said mournfully. "Now I can't see them.”

But I can smell them,” she continued. “They're carnivores. Harry, you can't imagine the smell.”

“And I can feel them,” she said emphatically. “I can feel them when they slap me with their tails or lick me. I had to carry big slabs of fresh meat. They were so heavy. It was exhausting. I was covered with blood. They licked me, everywhere. Little bites too.

“And I can hear them. Oh yes, I can hear them when they laugh." She shuddered. It as though she was reliving a nightmare.

"Thestrals laugh?" asked Harry.

"It's so creepy, it makes my skin crawl. It took two days to figure out what they were doing. They have a really crude sense of humor. They all think they're comedians. And the biggest joke around was me," she said shaking.

"Tease the little witch. Make her shriek. Make her jump. Make her angry. Make her cry. It's all a load of laughs to them," she said bitterly.

"The key to getting their stable clean, and remaining sane, is to get them all out. But I can't see them. They hide in the corners, and play tricks on me. Poop in the middle of a stall I just cleaned out. Ha Ha. Fart in her face. Ho Ho. Bite her in the buns, see if she'll jump into that pile of shit. Har Har."

Harry didn't interrupt. She was wound up now for a good monologue and Harry just had to try to not laugh at her.

"On Tuesday we hitch the team to the ice wagon so Filch can take it into town to get meat and milk. There's a hay pile in the harness room. There was a rope in the hay pile, but I didn't know that. They pulled on the rope! I screamed, I thought it was a snake!"

"On Wednesday we hitch the team to an ordinary wagon so Filch can go get groceries and dry goods. One of the harnesses was missing. It was lying on the hay pile, so I picked it up. Then something moved in the hay pile. I thought it was the rope trick so I grabbed it. It was a real snake! They blocked the door! I was trapped with the snake!"

"By Thursday I was so mad I used my wand. I sprayed a mist in the stable so I could see them and I shooed them all out and shut the door. I cleaned the stable unmolested. That was my little victory for the week."

"On Friday they took their revenge. I came out of the stable and bumped into one. I tried to go around it, but they surrounded me and they pressed against me. I couldn't move. I couldn't breath. I screamed! And do you know what they did next?"

"What did they do?" asked Harry trying to keep a straight face, but smiling in spite of himself.

"They nicked my tea towels."

Harry had to cover his mouth.

"Now what was I to do? Chase my bottom into the forbidden forest, towards the Centaurs? Chase my top towards Grawp's clearing? Return to the castle stark naked? Just stand there and listen to them laughing at me like a hundred psychotic hyenas?"

Harry snickered. Hermione gave him a dirty look.

"I gathered a pile of grass and transfigured it into yarn. I enchanted some twigs and knitted a tunic. Then I got dressed and went back to the castle."

"That's very creative," said Harry. He was impressed.

"On Saturday, I was in agony! Old George, he's the Head House Elf, made me strip off my tunic in front of the whole kitchen staff. My skin was all red.

He made me transfigure the yarn back into grass, and he fished through the pile of grass with a fork. Then he pulled out a vine of poison ivy, and he says, ’Thestrals has a wicked sense of humor, Miss Hermione."

"I suppose it was a breakthrough." she concluded. "It was the first time any of them spoke to me, except for work orders."

"So," said Harry. He was trying to not smile at her distress, but it was hard to keep a straight face as he imagined her naked in the forest. "Besides being tormented by invisible creatures and overworked, how's life as a House Elf?"

"Hogwarts' House Elves are treated better than average, but their lives are still hard. We each have our own cupboard in a pantry to sleep in. We get a mattress and a pillow. In the winter they get a blanket, but in July those cupboards are very hot and stuffy. And they are too short, or maybe I'm too tall, but I have to sleep all curled up. I wake up stiff every morning," she complained. "We have pegs to hang our tea towels on at night…"

"Oh Dear Harry," she said smiling, "I got your letter. I read it over and over. I'm so glad you have been able to practice magic. And with all of that hard work and weight lifting you're getting so strong."

"And you're getting thin," he said looking at her appraisingly.

"House Elves work hard and we don't eat much," she said proudly. "I think scrubbing floors has been good for my abs and pecs. What do you think?" She said as she posed for him and turned around.

Harry thought that was very strange behavior for Hermione. Was she flirting?

"Scrubbing floors has been rough on your knees," Harry observed.

"Harry, this is important," she said suddenly turning serious. She put her hands on his shoulders. "You must not tell anyone you saw me here, especially Ron."

"I don't know," said Harry teasingly, "Hermione the House Elf, that's a good story."

"No, please, Harry!" she said with a quiver in her voice. "I'm serving seven weeks of detention for abusing school property. I'm a prefect. It's too embarrassing."

She pressed her body tightly against him. He felt his temperature rising.

"I'm your slave, Harry," she pleaded. "I'll do anything. Please promise me you won't tell." She laid her head on his shoulder.

Harry could smell her sweat and grime, he could feel her heart beating. He pushed her away and stared at her face.

"Anything?" he asked coldly.

She stared back at him. Her eyes were wide open. Her nervousness was replaced with fear.

He saw his reflection in her brown eyes. He was frowning and stern.

It seemed like she couldn't talk. She slowly nodded her head.

"I want you to promise me this," he said firmly, "when I go into combat against Lord Voldemort, you will not follow me. Promise me that you will stay where it's safe."

"When…" she choked.

She backed up a step. Tears filled her eyes. She backed up another step. She wiped her face with her hand and took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"You called my bluff," she said. "You caught me in a lie."

She struggled to maintain her composure.

"I still have some principles after all," she stated. "There are some things I won't do for anything."

"You can talk. Go ahead, embarrass me. Tell them I'm a detention queen. Tell them I'm trying to impress House Elves with hard work. Tell them I'm a dirty smelly slut that tried to seduce you," she cried. Tears rolled down her cheeks.

Harry was too shocked to say anything.

"But… if… you…. think," she said haltingly, "for one minute… that I will hide in a corner… and do nothing…. while Voldemort…. and his ARMY!....MURDER YOU! You are mistaken!"

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed, his own voice shaking, "I don't want you to get hurt!"

"Harry Potter!" she cried, "Don't you understand? Nothing could possibly ever hurt me as much as loosing you." She took a step towards him and said softly, "I love you."

"Hermione… No…I'm not good for you."

"So!" she retorted, "I know that. I'm not rational. I'm in love."

"But… with me?" he argued, "what about Ron?"

"Ron is a dear friend. And I think he wants more than that, but I have to disappoint him," she said. "I just hope that our friendship can survive."

"What about Victor Krum?" said Harry. He felt like a drowning man clutching at a straw.

"Victor is a nice guy," she said sadly, "and I hurt him. I agreed to go to the Yule Ball with him because I wanted to go with you instead of Ron. I didn't realize that he would really fall for me. He kept asking me to come to Bulgaria, to meet his parents. I made excuses. I finally had to be blunt with him. I told him I loved someone else, just before Christmas."

Harry had run out of arguments. He didn't know what else to say. He walked over to a window and looked out, just to clear his head. He could see the Gryffindor tower across the wide courtyard. All of the windows were open in the July heat.

"I won't talk about this to anyone, Hermione," he finally said, "especially Ron. Your secret is safe. I promise."

"Thank you, Harry," she said softly.

They were both silent for several minutes. Harry stared out the window. Hermione got down on her knees, retrieved her brush, and went back to scrubbing the floor.

Harry watched her work for a minute.

"You're getting blood on the floor," he observed.

"I clean it up as I go," she said.

He looked across the courtyard towards Gryffindor tower and he took out his wand
.
"Accio kneepads," he said.

The kneepads that Harry had used for landscaping wormed their way out of his trunk and flew across the castle courtyard to his hand.

"Nice summoning charm," said Hermione.

"I had a good tutor," said Harry.

"Put these on," he said as he handed them to Hermione.

"Are you trying to give me clothes?" she asked as she gave them back.

"Kneepads aren't clothing," he said as he handed them to her again. "They're a tool. They'll make your work more efficient."

"The Head House Elf didn't issue me kneepads," she stated. "He'll wonder where I got them."

She handed the kneepads back to Harry again.

"Tell him that Harry Potter ordered you to wear them whenever you scrub floors." he said decisively as he handed them to her for the third time. "If he doesn't like it, send him to me."

She quietly put on the kneepads, and went back to work.

Harry moved towards the door. He had to move a room full of things before dinner. Just as he reached the door, she called to him.

"Harry, if Lord Voldemort kidnapped me… and they tortured me… and they touched me… would you come rescue me?" she asked.

"Yes," he said firmly.

"But Harry, it's a trap. They don't care about me. I'm just a worm on a hook. If you come for me, they'll try to kill you." she explained. "You should leave me to my fate until you are strong enough to win."

"I'd come for you, ready or not," he said.

"I know you would," she said gently, "and I promise to be careful."

Harry left the room. He began levitating things down the hall to the room he was packing. He could hear the swishing of her brush on the classroom floor. He didn't see her leave. When he was done moving all of the enchanted items, he peeked into the classroom.

She was gone.

Saturday evening there was another Quidditch practice. Mid-way through practice Katie and Cindy asked Harry if he was too tired from working all day to continue. He admitted that he hadn't worked all that hard. Then they got mad at him and told him he had to pay attention. He had to learn how to be a chaser. He had to learn new techniques, to work with the team and make the right moves for their offensive plays.

He tried to stop thinking about magic mirrors and that new House Elf.
Chapter 6 Young Wizards and Witches Magic Camp by king
Chapter 6 Young Wizards and Witches Magic Camp

The kids arrived Sunday evening on the Hogwarts Express, and they were a rowdy bunch. There weren’t as many of them as there were Hogwarts students, but what they lacked in numbers they made up for in sheer energy. Getting them up to the castle required quite a few carriages. Harry wondered what jokes the thestrals had played on their favorite house elf. In the great hall the kids were sorted into houses. These kids, aged seven through ten, were sorted by lottery because that was faster than the hat.

After dinner Harry and Katie took the children that were assigned to them up to Gryffindor tower and tried to get them settled in their rooms. The kids were terrible. It was an hour after their bedtime before Harry and Katie got them quiet in their rooms.

Harry wanted to go to bed, but he hadn't read any of the spell books he had from the library. He had vowed to do some research each night until he found the nature of the mysterious power he was supposed to have that would allow him to defeat Lord Voldemort, but the common room looked like a storm had hit it. He was worried about a particular house elf being overworked so he spent a half an hour picking up trash and straightening up.

Harry was very tired when he finally got to the spell books. He chose one randomly, and began looking through it, but he didn't know what he was looking for. He soon gave up on research and went up to his room.

As he was straightening his trunk Harry found an unmatched sock. He was about to throw it away when he remembered how one sock had changed Dobby's life. Hermione had said that she was his slave. If she loved him, it would get her killed. He knew that he loved her. He had to let her go.

He addressed an envelope: To the house elf named Hermione and he put the sock in it. Then he sat down in a comfortable chair to wait.

He dozed fitfully. Around 2 AM he heard movement and he woke up. Dobby was cleaning the room.

"Harry Potter!" Dobby greeted him cheerfully. "Dobby is happy to see you back at Hogwarts. But Dobby is surprised to see Harry Potter sleeping in a chair when he has his own room and five beds to choose from."

"Hello Dobby," said Harry a bit groggily. "How have you been? Is Old George treating you alright?"

"Dobby is very happy working at Hogwarts," he said smiling from ear to pointy ear. "And Dobby is surprised that the Great Harry Potter knows the names of house elves."

"I know the names of only four," Harry admitted, "you, Old George, Winky, and one more. She's new here and she has a lot of brown hair."

"Harry Potter is amazing!" exclaimed Dobby. "No one is to know of this new house elf. Dumbledore makes us all swear to keep her secret."

"I want you to give this to her," he said, quickly handing Dobby the envelope, before he could change his mind. "Tomorrow night, when you clean the tower, wake me up. I want you to talk to me again," Harry instructed as he turned to go up to his room.

"Good night, Harry Potter," said Dobby. "Dobby will do as Dobby is told."

A very few short hours later the sun began to peak over the horizon. Harry was in a deep sleep when he was jolted awake by the loud crowing of a rooster that was perched on a windowsill close to his bed.

"Go away," he said to the rooster.

"Get up lazy bones!" said the rooster, "it's time for quidditch practice."

Harry reluctantly crawled out of bed. He pulled on shorts, a T-shirt and his trainers and he stuck his wand in his sock. Then he got on his Firebolt and shot through the window towards the quidditch pitch.

Madam Hooch was waiting for them. They spent about half an hour doing stretches, jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, and chin ups on their suspended brooms. Then they broke up into groups to practice their quidditch skills. Michael and Ernie practiced knocking bludgers through moving hoops. Cho went chasing after the snitch. Every time she caught it Madam Hooch would let it go again. Harry, Katie and Cindy practiced passing the quaffle and attempting to score goals while Draco defended the three rings.

After breakfast the activities began.

In first aid class, Harry and Pansy set up practice dummies and did what Madam Pomfrey told them to do. Children can't do magical healing, so this course was about techniques that even Muggles can use to keep an accident victim alive until help arrives.

In sports and games class, Harry and Cindy got more exercise than the kids.

After lunch, Harry worked with Cho for both flying class and self-defense. The kids in flying class kept falling off their brooms. Harry and Cho both got practice catching them. Self-defense class was really just setting off some charms that had been pre-loaded into the bamboo wands and talking about the situations where they might be helpful to their families. Harry enjoyed working with Cho, and she said he was great with children.

At four o'clock the kids got some free time to play games and visit in their house common rooms. The student instructors’ job was to keep them from burning down the castle with the fires started by their exploding snap cards.

After dinner there was some planned activity. On Monday evening it was a hike around the lake looking at plants with Professor Sprout. Harry and Cho had to spend more than an hour in Professor Flintwick's classroom reloading the bamboo wands with spells.

"It's been a charming evening," Harry quipped.

"You should be punished for that remark," replied Cho.

The kids then had free time in the common room until it was bedtime. Harry made them tidy up the common room before going to their beds.

Harry practiced wandless summoning and read a few spells before going to bed. He didn't learn a thing that would help him in a fight against Lord Voldemort and he felt like his research was very haphazard.

He stretched out on his bed. It was a warm evening and he was grateful for the breeze that came through the window. He wondered if Hermione had trouble sleeping all curled up in a stuffy cupboard.

Sometime in the middle of the night he was prodded awake by Dobby.

"Hi Dobby," Harry said as he reached for his glasses.

"Harry Potter said that he wanted to talk to Dobby," Dobby reminded him.

"Yes, did you give the envelope to Hermione?" Harry asked him.

"Yes, Harry Potter, Dobby gave it to Miss Hermione," the elf said grimly. "That envelope had a sock in it."

"What did she do when she got it?" Harry asked.

"Harry Potter made the new house elf cry," accused Dobby. "Why does Harry Potter want to sack Miss Hermione."

"Dobby, you of all of the house elves must understand that there is a difference between being sacked and being set free," rationalized Harry.

"Dobby understands. If you wants to be free, you is being set free. But if you wants to stay, you is being sacked,” Dobby said. “Miss Hermione does not want Harry Potter to sack her."

"She'll get over me," Harry said without conviction.

"Miss Hermione cried when she saw the sock," Dobby said sadly. “But then she saw the words that was written on the sock,” he reported. “She says that the words on the sock say that Harry Potter is not sacking her after all,” Dobby said brightly. “And she cries again. Harry Potter should not make Miss Hermione cry," Dobby stated firmly. "She is a good house elf, she works hard, she does not complain, she is learning."

"Wait…what did you say?” Harry asked. “You said that there were words on the sock that said I wasn't setting her free? What were the words?"

"Oh Harry Potter," Dobby laughed, "Dobby doesn't know what the words are. Dobby is a house elf and house elves don't read words. But Miss Hermione reads words," said Dobby positively. "She says the words on the sock make her happy. She uses the sock to tie up her hair so all of the house elves can see the words. Miss Hermione wants everybody to see that Harry Potter is not sacking her, even if house elves can't read the words. She has a lot of hair. It gets in the way, but she doesn't want Old George to cut it off. The sock is useful to tie up her hair."

"Words on the sock?" Harry wondered aloud.

He pulled out a pair of his socks and looked at them. He found the words.

Property of Harry Potter

“She wears this in her hair, so everyone can see the words,” Harry said to himself.

He had sent a mixed message. She could interpret it any way she wanted to, and she wanted to be Harry's.

Tuesday went a lot like Monday, except after dinner the kids had a scavenger hunt.

That evening Harry was reading a book of spells when he realized that it looked familiar. He had looked through this book on Thursday or Friday night. It contained no spells or powers that Lord Voldemort could not master. He hadn't made any notes or marked it. His research skills were terrible. He was reading in circles. If he kept this up, the whole summer would go by without finding a clue about how to defeat Voldemort. He wasn't organized enough to avoid repeated searches of the same books. Harry decided that he needed a research assistant.

Wednesday morning during jumping jacks with the quidditch team, Harry noticed that Cindy Chambers wasn't wearing a bra under her T-shirt. Cindy was… well… she was stacked. Katie and Cho weren’t wearing bras either. Harry began to feel a bit of pressure in his shorts. Then he noticed that the naughty girls were watching him and grinning. Madam Hooch made them do extra jumping jacks too. Harry thought they were all being silly because he was famous.

Harry had a few minutes between breakfast and First Aid class to hurry up to Dumbledore's office. He had no clue what the password was, but he rattled off every type of candy he could think of. The door opened and Harry still wasn't sure about the password. Was it Pumpkin Pasties or Mars Bars?

"Good Morning Harry," said Dumbledore cheerfully. "What can I do for you?"

“I need to study spell books to learn more about the power the Dark Lord knows nothing about,” Harry explained. “There are so many books. I’m getting nowhere. I need a research assistant.”

"And what do you want me to do?" asked Dumbledore, "Madam Pince is busy with YWWMC classes."

"Assign a house elf to the project," Harry suggested.

"House elves do not read or write," Dumbledore countered warily.

"One of them does," Harry stated bluntly, "and I need her help."

"Harry, it seems that the surest way of telling you something is to try to keep it a secret," Dumbledore said as he shook his head. "Miss Granger's mission is important, and I don't want you to interfere."

"What do you mean, her mission?" asked Harry bitterly. "She's dressed in rags and she's cleaning stables and scrubbing floors! How is that important?"

"Harry," Dumbledore began, "as you know, I sent Hagrid to contact the giants."

"What's Hagrid got to do with making Hermione work like a slave?" Harry spat.

"Hermione’s mission is very much like Hagrid’s,” Dumbledore explained patiently.
“There are only a few giants left and they live far away, but we can't afford to ignore what they think. I sent Hagrid to contact the giants because he was interested in the job. The house elf problem is similar but more important," he continued. "There are more than ten thousand house elves living right here in Britain. They share our homes, fix our meals and tend our children. We take their loyalty for granted at our own peril. You, of all people, know they can be treacherous. We don't know what they really think. We have ignored their opinions for generations. We don't even take note of elf family structure. To us they are like pets,” Dumbledore said shaking his head sadly. “Miss Granger cares more about the well being of house elves than any other witch in a century. She wants to learn what they are thinking, what they really want, and I want her to succeed. It may be much more important than a few giants. It may be more important than a hundred dementors."

"She's frustrated," Harry countered. "The elves don't talk to her, they're angry at her. They don't trust her. She's surrounded by them and yet she's alone."

"Diplomacy can be a difficult undertaking," Dumbledore said. "First, she must win their confidence. They may not understand her actions, particularly the hats. But they will understand her heart. I have faith in her."

He continued, "We have more than one hundred house elves here. They have family and friends all over Britain. Some elves work for good wizard families, some work for dark wizards. Some clean houses, others tend orchards and farms. Some work in mines and factories. Some select and polish the twigs used to make high performance brooms." Dumbledore said meaningfully. "When Miss Granger gains the trust of the house elves of Hogwarts, she will become a powerful ambassador and a source of information to us."

"But I need her help," Harry persisted. "Just let her work for me for two hours a day. We can keep it secret. She can work in my room while I'm teaching classes. I'll give her my invisibility cloak. Her research skills are so much better than mine and my mission is important too."

"But Harry," Dumbledore said softly, "she is working so hard now."

"Give her a break! Let her read," Harry pleaded. "You can't ask Hermione Granger to go seven weeks without books. She'll crack under the strain."

"Very well," Dumbledore sighed. "You may have her read for you for two hours each afternoon, while you are in classes. Take this card to the head house elf and explain to him that she is to be assigned to work for you for two hours each day."

Dumbledore handed Harry a chocolate frog card with Dumbledore's picture on it.

"One more thing, Harry," Dumbledore said before Harry could leave his office. "Happy Birthday"

Harry smiled and said, “thanks.”

The last few days had been so full of activity that he hadn't paid any attention to the date.

He left Dumbledore's office and hurried to the hospital wing. He had missed part of first aid class and Madam Pomfrey was angry at him, but he really didn’t care.

At sports and games class Harry noticed that Cindy's bra was back. Was that because there were children around, or because she wasn't with Cho and Katie, or because the instructor was Professor McGonagall instead of Madam Hooch?

When sports and games ended the kids headed up to the castle for lunch. Harry went left at the base of the big marble staircase and took a flight of stone steps down to a brightly lit corridor that was lined with paintings of food. He tickled a green pear in one of the paintings and opened a hidden door that led to the kitchen.

Dozens of house elves were bustling about getting food loaded onto the four enchanted tables so it could be transported up to the great hall. It was noisy and mid-summer hot in the kitchen. Most of the elves were naked from the waist up. He saw Hermione over by the sinks washing pots, her back was turned to him but he saw that she wore nothing above her waist but the sock that tied back her hair. Dobby and a half dozen house elves quickly surrounded him and pushed him behind a stone pillar.

"Harry Potter!" Dobby said in an excited whisper, "we are happy to see you in our kitchen! But young wizards are not supposed to be looking at young witches that're naked like house elves. What does Harry Potter want here?"

"I've come to talk to Old George," Harry said.

"Dobby will take you to his pantry, follow me," Dobby said quietly.

As they walked through the kitchen, Harry glanced over in Hermione's direction. He was rewarded with a firm push from the elves that surrounded him. She had not noticed him.

He arrived at a large pantry that was full of dry goods and had a small desk in the middle of the room. An old looking elf was drawing a picture of a sack of potatoes and putting tick marks next to his picture. He appeared to be preparing a wordless grocery list. Harry supposed that this was Old George. The old elf was engrossed in his work and didn't look up until Harry slid the chocolate frog card picture of Dumbledore in front of him. He startled, and quickly looked up at Harry. Then he rapidly recovered his composure and stood up looking Harry in the eye.

"Tis Harry Potter, come to see Old George," he cackled. "What does Harry Potter want of Old George? Does Harry Potter think that all house elves should wear kneepads when scrubbing floors now? Or should all house elves just wear words saying they is Property of Harry Potter?"

"I'm not here about kneepads," Harry said sternly, "but yes all house elves should wear them when scrubbing floors. You have a house elf called Hermione who can read and write. She understands libraries and research and I have need of her skills. Dumbledore has assigned her to assist me for two hours each afternoon. Send her to my room at one o'clock."

"Alright Harry Potter, you doesn't has to hex me. Old George does as Dumbledore says," the old elf said defensively. "Does you wants her with or without her tea towels?"

Harry didn't bother to answer that smart mouthed question. As he walked back through the kitchen he heard George call out over the noise.

"Miss Hermione! Old George has a new job for you."

Hermione put down the pot she was scrubbing and turned around to walk towards George's pantry. She didn't seem to notice Harry.

Harry went up to the great hall to get some lunch. The rest of the student instructors were nearly done eating. Harry took an empty seat next to Ernie MacMillan, and grabbed a plate of meat, potatoes and carrots.

"So Harry," Ernie asked him quietly, "what were the girls up to this morning?"

"They sure were in a teasing mood,” Harry said. “They must have conspired."

"It worked for me," Ernie said. "If they do that on Saturday, we might have a chance against the Cannons."

Harry wolfed down lunch and dashed up to his room. He got out the spell books and some parchment and a quill. At one o'clock the door of his room opened and Hermione came in. She had her tea towels on.

"Did you summon me, oh great one?" she asked sarcastically.

"Hi Hermione," he started awkwardly. "I'm sorry that I made you cry with the sock thing. I didn't know if it was the right thing to do. Everyone who has ever really loved me has been killed by Voldemort,” he said. “I don't want you to get hurt. I love you. I don’t want you to feel trapped."

"It's alright Harry," she said. "I don’t expect this to be easy and I don't want you to feel trapped either. Now why am I here?"

"I need your help Hermione," he explained. "I need to find out the nature of the mysterious power that I have that I can use to defeat Lord Voldemort. I need help organizing this search. Your research skills are so much better than mine. I want you to spend two hours a day going through spell books. You can read whatever you think would be helpful. You can read the Daily Prophet if you think the war news would tell us something about Voldemort or his army. If you get tired you can stretch out on my bed. I've got to get to flying class. Write me a report about what you learn."

He reached for his Firebolt and stepped towards the window. Then he stopped and smiled at her.

"I thought you might like a break from physical labor and a chance to read," he said.

"Thanks Harry, I'll be happy to help you," she said smiling back at him.

Harry turned and mounted his broom
.
"Harry, one more thing," she called. "May I use your bathtub?"

"I think that would be a very good idea," he said as he flew out the window.

When Harry arrived at the Quidditch pitch, Cho announced that he was late. He excused himself by saying he had to wipe some fingerprints off his Firebolt. Cho just rolled her eyes and gave him the day's instructions.

"The kids are supposed to mount their brooms, kick off, fly through that hoop and land on that big X over there," explained Cho. "They will take turns, one at a time. One of us will have to stay with the class to make sure they stay on the ground. The other one of us will have to follow the flying kid and catch him if he falls off his broom."

And fall off their brooms they did. But Harry and Cho made sure that none of them got hurt. Harry got the idea that some of the boys were falling off on purpose so they could get Cho's attention.

Between flying class and self-defense class Harry zoomed up to his room to drop off his Firebolt. Hermione was sprawled out on his bed. She was much cleaner than she had been earlier. She pointed to several books at the foot of the bed.

"I didn't find anything useful in those books so you can take them back to the library tonight,” she reported. “There might be a few spells in them that we will need later, but not now."

In just over an hour she had accomplished more than Harry had in five evenings.

"I'm making a list of various types of spells and domains of magical power," she explained. "I'll try to learn about Lord Voldemort's powers and we can begin to eliminate those fields of magic where he is proficient. I've got a list of books I want you to check out tonight."

Harry thought she was amazing, and she looked really nice spread out on his bed in a tea towel bikini.

"You're doing a great job, thanks," he said. "I've got to get to self-defense class. I don't want Cho to get suspicious."

"Oh Harry, wait!" she said suddenly. "Before you go, there's one more thing."

She hopped up from his bed and came across the room to him.

"Happy Birthday Harry," she said sweetly.

She wrapped her slender arms around him and held him tight and kissed him passionately. Harry held her close and ran a hand up and down her naked back. It was the best birthday he could remember.

That evening after supper, while the kids were rowing boats in the lake, Harry worked on loading charms into the bamboo wands as fast as he could.

“My, you’re efficient,” Cho complimented him. “But what’s the hurry?

"I've got to get to the library before the kids finish boating and come in for their free time," Harry said truthfully.

"You’re going to the library!" Cho exclaimed. "Are you studying during the summer?"

"Yes I am," Harry admitted. "Voldemort's in the open now. I've got to be prepared."

"Oh Harry," Cho sighed, looking into his eyes. "You're so intense. It's romantic."

"I ah… ," stammered Harry, "I thought that you and Michael Corner were going out."

"Michael and I are good friends," she said, "just like you and me."

Harry dashed up to his room and grabbed the books he needed to take back to the library. Then he dashed down to the library to check out the books that Hermione wanted. Madam Pince asked what he was up to, so he told her he was working on a plan to destroy Lord Voldemort once and for all. He didn't think that she believed him.

That evening the common room was a madhouse. By the time Katie and Harry had gotten the kids to bed their nerves were severely frayed. Harry slumped down into a chair exhausted. Katie came over to him and began to give him a shoulder massage without being asked to do so. It felt so good and he was so tired, he just let her rub his aching muscles for a few minutes.

Harry thanked Katie and went up to his room. He spent a few minutes reading through Hermione's notes. Then he spent a few minutes practicing the Luke Skywalker trick. He could get his wand to jump through the air and into his hand up to a distance of two feet now. He started to read the table of contents of one of the spell books that Hermione had recommended, but he fell asleep before he got very far.

Thursday was as busy as Wednesday, but at least Harry had had an uninterrupted night of sleep. Katie took it upon herself to personally coach Harry on some of the finer points of being a chaser. She got real close to him when she demonstrated the proper way to wrap his legs around the broom for a corkscrew pass. Cindy Chambers confided in him that sports and games was her favorite class. Cho seemed to be sitting next to him at every meal, and she smiled a lot during their classes together.

Harry knew he wouldn't have much time with Hermione, so he finished lunch quickly and went up to his room to write her a note about the business of spell research. He wanted to save their limited face to face time for more important things. When he did see her during the break between flying class and self-defense class she was hard at work. He ran his fingers through her long hair and massaged her shoulders and neck for a minute as she finished up a chart she was working on.

"Hermione, I have another problem and I really need your brain," he said desperately. "How do I get a room full of rowdy kids to settle down in the evenings? They're driving me nuts."

"It's too bad they're not Muggles," she said. "If they were Muggles you could pop them in front of a TV set, put on a Disney movie, and relax."

She thought for a few seconds and then said, "Maybe you could read to them. Ask Madam Pince to help you find some age appropriate story books. Oh and Harry dear, when you're in the library tonight could you get me a couple of recipe books. I get to help with the cooking next week." She smiled at him and gave him a quick kiss.

Harry made his usual run to the library as soon as the bamboo wands were loaded. Cho looked very disappointed when he left so fast.

Madam Pince found a series of children's books about the heroic deeds of Young Godric Gryffindor for Harry.

Harry was about to leave the library so he could get back to Gryffindor tower before the kids came in, when Cho entered. She approached him, smiling, and asked if he had found anything good to read. She was impressed by the two high level spell books he had checked out and surprised by the cookbooks.

"Oh Harry, are you going to be one of those sensitive guys that rescues girls from dragons during the day and cooks gourmet meals in the evenings?" she asked breathily.

But it was the children's books that really caught her attention.

"Read to the kids? Oh Harry, that's brilliant! They’re such rowdy little brats."

Madam Pince found a book about the clever deeds of the beautiful young Rowena Ravenclaw for her.

That night Harry read to the kids and they did settle down easier. Harry was able to spend more time reviewing Hermione's progress and doing a bit of research himself.

Hermione had ruled out the dark arts. There would be no necromancy or demonology for Harry. Voldemort knew a lot about that sort of magic. She was also opposed to rites involving Blood and Human Sacrifice, but she admitted they might have to do some reading in those areas in order to understand Voldemort. Neutral domains of magic like transfigurations, charms and numerology probably wouldn’t work either. Voldemort or some Death Eater could be an expert in those areas. Her idea was that Harry needed to learn more about Love-based magic, but she didn't have any specific suggestions for spells to learn.

Harry thought that her search for a Love-based, offensive weapon, killing type of spell didn't seem too promising.

On Friday when Harry flew into his room after flying class to put away his Firebolt, he didn't see Hermonie, so he called out to her. She called back from the bathroom.

"I'm in here Harry," she called sweetly. "I died and went to heaven."

He peeked into the bathroom. Her tea towels were hanging on a hook. She was in his bath tub. A book was suspended in the air above her.

"I'm reading about Love-based spells while lounging in a warm bath," she sighed.

"And how is this going to help me in combat?" Harry asked.

"For one, I'm sure Lord Voldemort knows nothing about this branch of magic. And there is this collection of spells known as Sympathetic Magic. It can be very powerful," she explained, "but I need a different book."

She abruptly closed the book she was reading and levitated it over to the washstand.

Then she stood up.

"Toss me a towel please, Harry," she asked sweetly.

Harry froze and stared at her body. She was thin, her tummy was so flat, her breasts were firm, her thighs so long and slender, her long hair cascading over her shoulders.

"Harry," she said in exasperation, pointing her wand at a towel. "Accio towel"
"Honestly, you look like you did when those Veelas were dancing at the Quidditch cup."

Harry tried to snap out of it as she wrapped the towel around herself.

"I'm sorry to do that to you Harry," she said. "I've been a House Elf for three weeks, and I've become a bit casual about nudity."

"Casual!" Harry exclaimed, "You're flirting with me."

"Guilty as charged," she sighed. "And I only get a few minutes a day to do it. How'd I do today?"

"You never do anything halfway, do you Hermione?" he observed.

"Not like those girls at quidditch practice, huh?" she said.

"I've got to get to class," Harry said, leaving quickly.

That evening the Chudley Cannons arrived at Hogwarts. Harry got a poster autographed by the whole team to give to Ron.

Saturday morning they had the final activities. Parents arrived on the Hogwarts express about noon and there was a big feast in the great hall as the children were reunited with their families. Harry was probably the only person in the whole room who was concerned about the extra work it meant for house elves.

That afternoon the Chudley Cannons soundly defeated the Hogwarts all stars. It wasn't all bad, the final score was only 270 “ 80. The star of the Hogwarts team was Draco Malfoy, who made a lot of spectacular saves. Unfortunately there were an awful lot of shots on goal by the Cannons. Harry managed to score two goals and made a great pass to Katie. Katie and Cindy each scored three goals. Cho almost got the snitch, she was certainly no coward. Fortunately Madam Pomfrey could fix broken bones in a snap.

For Harry, the worst part of the defeat was that it took all of Saturday afternoon and he had no chance to see Hermione.

That evening, things calmed down at Hogwarts. The kids, their families and the Chudley Cannons left on the Hogwarts express. The student instructors had a party in the Hufflepuff common room. It didn't last long. They were all tired.

Sunday afternoon the second batch of kids arrived. They were worse than the first batch. Harry was so glad that Godric Gryffindor had done brave deeds when he was young. It didn't matter to Harry if the stories weren't historically accurate, as long as the brats quieted down.

Harry got to the library at his usual time after loading the bamboo wands. He didn't have much time before the kids came in from their walk around the lake, so he went directly to Madam Pince and requested the book Hermione wanted. It was called The Complete Guide to Sympathetic Magic by Amours and Lovelynn. Madam Pince told Harry that this book was in the most restricted section of the library. No one looked at books from that room without permission from the headmaster. Harry started to leave. He would have to ask Dumbledore about the book in the morning. But Madam Pince called him back.

"Harry," she whispered to him, "Professor Dumbledore has selected some books from the most restricted section for you to look at. He didn't mention that one, but maybe it slipped his mind."

She led Harry through a locked door and into a small room with a few shelves of old books. She took down a large purple book and sat it on the table.

"The names of people with permission to read this book are listed on the back," she explained.

Harry saw no list on the back of the book until she tapped it with her wand and said, "relevatio nomens."

"This copy has been in the Hogwarts library for four centuries," she said reverently. In that time it has been used less than fifty times. No one has used this book in seventeen years. I remember the last couple who checked it out.” she said wistfully. “They were Hogwarts alumni. No students have been permission to use this book since the goblin wars of the 1600s."

She moved her finger to the bottom of the list.

"I don't see your name." she stated. "You may not use this book. You are too young for this magic anyway."

The last names on the list were: Lily and James Potter.

Madam Pince put away the large purple book. Then she handed a heavy bag to Harry
.
"This bag is magically sealed," she explained. "Only Dumbledore, you and I can open it. Dumbledore has marked specific pages for you to read. These books may tell you something about the nature of You-Know-Who."

"This is dark magic, Harry," she warned. "Keep these books locked in your trunk when you are not reading them. Let no one see them. Tell no one about them.”

"And Harry, don't try to read it all at once," she cautioned. "Take it in small doses. Take frequent breaks to walk in the sunshine and visit with your friends."

Harry took the ominous books up to his room. He would have to examine them later to see what they were about. But he was sure that Hermione was onto something. Perhaps the purple book held the secret to the spell that saved Harry's life from Voldemort the night his parents were murdered.

The second week of YWWMC went a bit smoother than the first. The kids seemed to enjoy being read to in the evenings and it certainly helped to settle them down. Cho and Harry worked together very well, which was a good thing because they spent so much time together. Both he and Cho were getting very good at doing charms and catching falling children. Michael Corner was openly jealous of the growing relationship between Harry and Cho. Were it not for all of the attention Harry was getting from Katie and Cindy, people might have thought that Harry and Cho were an item.

Harry was always the first instructor to finish lunch. He had to dash up to his room to write a note to Hermione. Cho was under the illusion that he spent way too much quality time with his Firebolt. The best part of Harry's day was the few minutes he had between flying class and self-defense class. Under the pretext of putting away his precious Firebolt, he got to see Hermione.

She was making much more progress on spell research than Harry could have possibly done. Harry mainly just read her reports, made a few comments, and did the hauling of books to and from the library. She seemed to be obsessed with Sympathetic Magic, and was frustrated that she couldn't get her hands on the purple book.

"These spells are powerful Harry," Hermione explained. "They allow two spell casters to cooperate and combine their strengths. One can cast a shield spell for the both of them, while the other casts an offensive spell. Or one could cast an offensive spell, like a disarming charm, while the other just channels strength and power. It would be suicide to face Lord Voldemort alone."

"Two wizards could gang up against one. That does sound useful," Harry concluded.

"Well," Hermione said doubtfully, "I suppose it could work that way. But that would be very unusual."

"But you said two spell casters could cooperate with each other and combine their powers," Harry said, clearly confused.

"Yes, but," she said delicately, "it's usually a wizard and a witch."

"I see," Harry said, suddenly connecting the dots. "But I don't want you to go into combat with me," he concluded firmly.

Hermione sighed in frustration. "Harry you had better run off to class now, I'll see what I can find in the other books."

On Thursday afternoon Harry caught Hermione crying. She had been reading a large book with a plain brown cover, one of the restricted books that Dumbledore had provided. When he flew into the room on his broom, she slammed the book shut and locked it. She backed away from the book clutching the key.

"Oh Harry," she sobbed, "please, don't read that book. Don't even look at it. It's not for you. This is not the way."

Harry looked at the book. There was no title on the cover, no indication what it was about. He took a step towards Hermione and held out his hand. She clutched the key to her breasts and tried to back away but she bumped into Harry's bed.

"No Harry, no," she whimpered.

Harry's hand was about four feet from the key.

"Accio key!" he chanted.

The key jumped into his hand.

Hermione gasped.

Harry opened the brown book to the title page.

"Please no Harry," she sobbed, "you're a good person. Don't…"

The title of the book was: "Human Sacrificial Rites and Spells".

Harry was stunned. Dumbledore wanted him to see this book? Specific pages were marked. Harry closed the book and tossed the key back to Hermione.

"Have you been reading about these dark rites and spells for an hour?" he asked her.

"Yes," she said trembling. She seemed to calm down, now that she had the key back.

"This book may be just background information about Lord Voldemort," Harry reasoned. "It’s so we’ll know what we're up against. Dumbledore wouldn't want me to do anything like human sacrifice," he concluded. "I should have warned you. Madam Pince said to read this book in small doses."

"Small doses of murdering babies?” Hermione began crying again. “Voldemort did something horrible to Bertha Jorgenson."

Harry stepped over to Hermione and gave her a hug. She buried her head on his shoulder.

"That's enough spell reading for today," said Harry, stroking her hair. "Look out the window. Watch the kids play. Do a crossword puzzle in the Daily Prophet. Take a short nap. You've earned it."

That evening Harry read Hermione's summary report. She had pulled herself together and had done a professional job. Her detached descriptions of the rites and spells in the brown book were scary enough without looking at the book itself. There seemed to be a way to destroy the thing that was Lord Voldemort. But the cost was awful. Hermione was right. There had to be another way.

On Friday morning Harry went to Dumbledore's office to see if he could get permission to use the purple book about Sympathetic Magic that Hermione wanted so badly. The password that opened the door to Dumbledore's office was pumpkin pasties. As Harry went up the stairs to the headmaster's office he overheard the voice of his least favorite professor.

"But headmaster, I had hoped that the position would be mine," Snape said.

"Yes I know how disappointed you are, Severus," said Dumbledore, "but finding another potions teacher at this late date would be impossible. I would rather see you using your time working for the order rather than preparing a defense against the dark arts curriculum. And surely, you must see that a man with his stature and respect in the wizard community would be a great asset to our school."

"That is true, headmaster," Snape admitted, "but can he teach?"

"There are many similarities between running a classroom and running a government. He certainly won't be nervous in front of a group of students," reasoned Dumbledore. "I think he'll adapt to the academic environment quickly."

Harry waited for professor Snape to leave before he entered the office.

"Good morning, Harry, and what can I do for you today?" Dumbledore asked with a smile. "Is that house elf doing her job properly?"

"Oh yes, Hermione has been a big help to me," answered Harry. "She has been looking at the books from the restricted section, but she has an idea of her own. We want to look at a book called The Complete Guide to Sympathetic Magic, by Amours and Lovelynn."

"Oh my!" laughed Dumbledore. "Sympathetic Magic? You two are just sixteen! I would say that you are too young to read such a book, but that would be most ironic considering I have pushed you to look into rituals involving human sacrifice and blood. However, I will have to look into certain legal issues before I can authorize the use of that book."

That afternoon the Tutshill Tornados arrived. Victor Krum had a long talk with Harry about Hermione. Victor was clearly not over her yet and was still a bit depressed by her last letter. He also told Harry that if Hermione was ever hurt, Harry would have to answer to an angry Victor Krum.

On Saturday the Hogwarts all stars were defeated by the Tornados, but Harry was proud of the way they had played together.

After the quidditch match the YWWMC children, their parents, the Tornados and most of the student instructors left on the Hogwarts Express. Harry Potter stayed at the school because there may have been some Death Eaters in the crowd. Dumbledore told Harry that there was no one in the Order of the Phoenix that he could spare to escort him home.
Chapter 7 The Trap and the Bait by king
Chapter 7 The Trap and the Bait

"Lucius Malfoy, you have failed me," he said coldly. "Your humiliating defeat was very costly and you did not bring me the girl."

"My Lord," Malfoy pleaded, "we fought bravely. They were better prepared than we could have imagined. It was a trap."

"So what was the fate of this girl, Hermione Granger? I wanted to use her as bait to trap Harry Potter. Did she escape?"

"My Lord, I did not leave her alive," Malfoy asserted. "I killed Hermione Granger myself."

"For this small achievement, I will spare your life. But I have lost six dementors and four Death Eaters. You must be punished for your failure."

"Crucio!"


Harry was jolted awake by intense pain, his scar burning like fire. He had not had a dream like this in almost two blessed months. He fell out of bed. He struggled to his hands and knees and was sick. What had Malfoy done? Hermione was dead!

No, it couldn't be. It just couldn't be.

He struggled to his feet and lurched through the bedroom door. He stumbled and almost fell down the stairs leading to the common room. He clutched his stomach and sped up. He ran through the opening that was guarded by the portrait of the fat lady. It was before dawn. The corridors were dark, and the castle was silent. Harry was the only student there. He ran down halls, he stumbled down stairs. He charged down the grand marble staircase into the entry hall and then down the stone steps that led to the kitchen. He almost tore the picture of the bowl of fruit as he roughed up the pear. The door to the kitchen opened and he dashed in.

"Where is she?" he shouted in the empty kitchen. "Hermione! Hermione!"

He ran towards the pantries shouting. Terrified house elves began to appear. They stared at him with their mouths wide open in shock.

"Where is she?" he shouted at them. "Where's Hermione? Hermione!"

Cupboards were opening all around him. He saw dozens of bald heads with long pointed ears and terrified faces. Then he saw her long brown hair. Her face held a look of surprise and concern.

"Harry! What is it!" she cried out.

"Hermione!" he cried in relief, "You're alive!"

He dashed over to her cupboard and pulled open the door.

"Harry!" she squealed.

He pulled her into a tight embrace. There were tears of joy on his cheeks.

"Easy Harry, Easy," she said soothingly. "Everything is alright. What happened?"

"I had a dream. My scar hurt. It was bad," Harry stammered. "Lucius Malfoy told me… he told Lord Voldemort… that he had killed you. Voldemort was very angry at Malfoy, he tortured him with the cruciatus curse."

"Harry, it's OK," she said calmly patting his back, "I'm here and I'm fine. The dream wasn't real. Or Lucius Malfoy was lying. Or he was mistaken. If your scar has started hurting again, you must tell Dumbledore. I'll go with you to his office."

Harry kissed her.

"Relax Harry," she said giving him a squeeze. "Let me put something on."

She gently pushed Harry away and retreated into her cupboard. Harry suddenly realized that Hermione was naked. She closed the door of her cupboard.

Harry slumped down on the floor. A hundred house elves were gathered around him, they looked at him in fear and concern.

"Sorry," he tried to smile, "I had a bad dream."

Hermione emerged wearing the T-shirt and jogging shorts that she had on when she left her home.

"It's easier to throw on clothes than to tie tea towels into a bikini," she explained. "Let's go to Dumbledore's office now."

She led Harry through secret passageways that he had never imagined. They had to duck most of the time because of the low ceilings.

"These are the house elf passageways," she explained, "they run all over the castle. House elves are not supposed to be seen. Filch knows about them, I've had to be careful about him. Fortunately he’s too tall to use them."

They emerged from a hidden door behind a tapestry near Dumbledore's office. Before Harry could say the password, the door opened and Dumbledore appeared.

"Hermione and Harry, how convenient, I was just going to wake you," Dumbledore said. "Come into my office. I have serious news for you."

They followed Dumbledore back into his office. He directed them to sit down.

"First, I must ask you why you have come to me before I got to you," he said.

"I had a vision," said Harry, "Lucius Malfoy told Lord Voldemort that he had killed Hermione. I woke her up. I woke up all of the house elves," he said sheepishly.

"Have you been practicing occlumency?" Dumbledore asked Harry.

Harry had to admit that he had not. Dumbledore sighed and shook his head.

"Obviously Lucius Malfoy did not kill Miss Granger, but he believes that he did," Dumbledore stated.

"Miss Granger, I now understand why the sorting hat placed you in Gryffindor rather than Ravenclaw," Dumbledore continued. "You come from an extremely brave family. While you have been here, safe but uncomfortable, your parents have been in danger in their own home. And they have cooperated with us in a magnificent fashion. You see we feared that Lord Voldemort would try to kidnap you to use you as bait to trap Harry. But we used you as bait to set a trap for them."

"How did you use me as bait for a trap if I was here?" asked Hermione.

"Nymphadora Tonks has stayed with your parents since the night you left home. She did a very good impersonation of you. Your parents and Uncle went along with our little charade. Your family appeared to be unprotected. The Death Eaters were watching your house. We set a trap for them," explained Dumbledore. "They attacked your home last night."

Hermione gasped.

Dumbledore continued, "six dementors were destroyed and four Death Eaters were either killed or captured. It was a victory for our side. Unfortunately there is a price for victories."

"My… parents?" Hermione asked shakily.

"Your father is badly injured, but he will recover. Your mother is fine," he assured her. "But Lucius Malfoy thinks he killed you, because he did kill Miss Tonks. Your Uncle Jason was also killed, he fought beside Miss Tonks."

Gunny and Tonks were dead. The horror sank in. Hermione began to cry. Harry put his arm around her.

Dumbledore began again, "Your uncle, father and mother will all be receiving the Order of Galahad from the Ministry of Magic. It is the highest award given to Muggles. Your uncle wounded Glen Goyle and your father killed Theodore Nott. Apparently the Death Eaters were not expecting suburban Muggles to stand and fight. They were certainly not expecting machine guns. Your mother used a pair of tongs to carry the portkey over to your wounded father in the midst of the battle. Her extremely brave act saved your father. Your house and all of its contents were consumed by fire."

Hermione took a deep breath and sat up straight. Although there were still tears running down her cheeks, she made the effort to appear composed.

Dumbledore went on, "The battle will be reported in the Daily Prophet this morning. As usual the reports will be full of errors, but this time we are writing the lies. The paper will say that your parents were killed. In fact, they are going into hiding. That is for their safety, they deserve a rest. You will have to pretend that they have died, and mourn for them in public. The paper will say that you were wounded and were taken to St. Mungo's hospital. We will smuggle you into the hospital so you can be released in a few days. You will be interviewed by the Daily Prophet."

Harry wondered what Lord Voldemort would do to Lucius Malfoy when he learned that Malfoy had failed to kill Hermione. What happens to his followers that lie to him?

"The Daily Prophet will report the death of Nymphadora Tonks in a few days. The description of how she died will be a complete fabrication," added Dumbledore.

Harry and Hermione made their way back down to the kitchen through the tiny secret passageways. Their arrival produced a lot of nervous stares and whispering. Harry apologized again for disturbing their sleep that morning. That caused more nervous whispering.

"That surprised them, Harry," Hermione said to him. "Elves never hear apologies from wizards."

They sat at one of the little tables where the house elves took their meals. Dobby brought over some tea. Harry took Hermione's hand and she began to cry a little.

"I'm sorry about your uncle and your house," he said sympathetically.

"He was so brave," she said. "He's fought battles in places where the government won't even admit to having troops. Nepal. Africa. Malaysia. I never imagined him dying in a battle at my house."

"He wouldn't leave Tonks," observed Harry.

"She was becoming like a big sister to me…" she trailed away. "I'm just glad my parents are alive."

They sat for a few more minutes and had a small breakfast together with the elves. Then Hermione went back to her cupboard to change into her tea towels.

“What has happened to Miss Hermione?” Old George asked Harry.

“Her family was attacked by dark wizards and dementors,“ Harry explained. “Her uncle and a friend were killed and her home was destroyed.”

"This news saddens Old George," said the head house elf. "Elves feel sorrow when family dies too. Miss Hermione is a good house elf. She will be given light work today. Some of the elves have begun to talk to her. I will put them with her today."

Harry waited until Hermione reappeared. She always appeared so vulnerable when dressed so scantily in rags. Her sad face added to that impression. He kissed her good bye and left her with the elves.

The Daily Prophet arrived at around half past seven o'clock. The reports of the battle at the Granger home were rather sketchy.

Ministry of Magic Claims Victory

Early this morning officials from the Ministry of Magic released reports of a major battle between followers of You-Know-Who and Aurors from the Ministry, supported by volunteers from the Order of the Phoenix. The battle began when followers of You-Know-Who attacked the home of a muggle family named Granger. The dark wizards were apparently attempting to capture or kill the young witch, Hermione Granger, who is well known as the constant companion of Harry Potter. Ministry officials claim to have been expecting the attack and to have prepared for it. The officials claim that six dementors, that had recently left their posts at Azkaban to join You-Know-Who, were destroyed. Ministry officials also claim that one dark wizard was killed in the battle and three dark wizards were arrested. The names of the dead and captured Death Eaters are being withheld at this time but should be released within a few hours.

There were no significant injuries to members of the Ministry forces or to the auxiliaries. Miss Granger was seriously injured and has been admitted to St. Mungo's hospital. Miss Granger's parents and an uncle, all muggles, are reported to have been killed. The Granger home was destroyed by fire. Three other muggle houses also received damage from the battle and the fires that followed. Officials from the Ministry of Magic reported no difficulty in modifying the memories of the affected muggles.

There are persistent rumors that a Death Eater was killed in the battle by muggle gun fire. If confirmed, this would be the third wizard killed by muggles in the 20th century. The most famous being the muggle-studies scholar, Freddy "Forgetful" Furgenson. Furgenson is famous for going "over the top" with British forces during the muggle war of 1914 - 1918, without an Imperturbable charm.


Harry had very little to do the rest of the day, he took a walk around the lake, flew around the castle on his Firebolt and read up on spells. He also practiced summoning his wand with his bare hand. By the end of the day he could make his wand jump into his hand from the floor at a distance of ten feet.

Monday's Daily Prophet had some more details of the battle at the Granger home. The Ministry claimed it was a text book example of using control of magical transportation to set a trap. The Death Eaters were able to apparate into the Grangers’ neighborhood, but they were not able to dissapparate out. Portkeys played a key role in the rapid movement of ministry wizards and the ancient talisman necessary for destroying dementors. The paper confirmed that Theodore Nott was indeed killed by a burst of machine gun fire from Hermione's father. Another death eater, Glen Goyle, was wounded by a muggle, Jason Granger. The other captured Death eaters were MacNair and Crabbe. The paper also reported that the execution of MacNair, Crabbe and Goyle was scheduled for early Monday morning and would probably be over by the time papers were delivered.

The humor section of the Daily Prophet had a little comment about the battle too.

Theodore Nott
was killed by a shot
fired by a muggle's gun.
The Imperturbable Charm
will protect you from harm
but Mr. Nott had none.


Harry wondered what to expect from the Slytherin students this year. The fathers of Theodore Nott Jr., Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle had all died as a result of the Battle of the Granger House, as it was being called now. Draco Malfoy's dad would be in big trouble with Lord Voldemort when Hermione walked out of the hospital. Would the boys see reason and renounce the path taken by their fathers, or would they be eager to join Lord Voldemort so they could seek revenge? For the first time ever, Harry began to dread the start of the fall term. Would there be open combat in the halls of Hogwarts?

That afternoon Hermione showed up in Harry's room so they could conduct spell research. She started by laying out the charts and tables and summaries that she had been working on. The central question remained. What was the mysterious power that Harry could use to defeat Lord Voldemort?

During YWWMC Harry saw Hermione for five minutes a day. Now they had two hours together. They were the only students in the castle. He was alone with Hermione in his bedroom. Her tea towels didn't cover much of her body, and they looked like they would fall off easily.

"What should we do today?" Harry asked her.

"I'm not ready for an in depth study of "Human Sacrificial Rites and Spells" she said with a shudder. "I just can't face it today. It scares me."

"It can wait then," agreed Harry.

"The other book that Dumbledore recommended is almost as dark," she said sadly. "It's about blood magic."

"Dumbledore's not out to cheer us up is he?" Harry said flatly. "Dumbledore is an expert on the uses of dragon's blood. Maybe he knows something about spells based on dragon's blood that Voldemort doesn't know,” Harry said in a distracted sort of way as he looked at Hermione.

"Your mother's blood, in her sister's veins, protects you at home," Hermione mentioned, breathing deeply.

"Aunt Petunia might object if we tried to take some of her blood," Harry said absently as he stared into Hermione’s golden-brown eyes. "Voldemort used some of my blood..."

"I think that the mysterious power is Love," said Hermione as she stared into his eyes.

"Are there Love-based spells that can be used defensively?" asked Harry hopefully.

"With the proper enchantment, the tears of a lover can become a protective talisman," Hermione said, moving closer.

"Shall we study Love today?" asked Harry quietly, taking her hand.

"There are really interesting spells… in the books," she said tenderly, moving close.

"Excuse me please, Harry Potter," said Dobby, "Dobby is here to clean your room and turn the mattresses."

"Hi Dobby," said Harry absently without looking away from Hermione.

"DOBBY!" Harry exclaimed shaking his head, "what are you doing here?"

"Dobby is here to clean your room and turn the mattresses," said Dobby. "All of the mattresses in the castle must be turned before the students return for the fall term."

"Hi Dobby," Harry said again. "Do you have to do this room right now?"

"Oh yes, Harry Potter!" said Dobby cheerfully. "Dobby wants Harry Potter to have a clean and comfortable room."

"Right now?" Harry asked.

"Old George sends Dobby to clean Harry Potter's room, this very afternoon," explained Dobby.

"That's very thoughtful of Old George," Harry said sarcastically.

"I suppose we should stick to business," Hermione said with a disappointed sigh.

They spent about forty minutes looking up and cross referencing various love based spells that might be useful for defense, strengthening or healing. Hermione pointed out the oblique references to sympathetic magic. They didn't have the book of spells for sympathetic magic. It was clear that Hermione didn't know a lot of the details about sympathetic magic. But she had pieced together quite a lot from the comments in the other books. Harry was beginning to believe that there might be some spells in that domain of magic that could be powerful enough to make a difference.

They spent about fifteen minutes reading a few blood based spells, focusing on those that involved blood from dragons or other creatures.

Dobby put on some kneepads and began to scrub the floor.

"Harry," Hermione started timidly, "can I ask you something about the other day?"

"Sure," said Harry as he looked over at Dobby, wondering when he would leave. He had no idea what Hermione wanted.

"When I was upset, and I wouldn't give you the key to that awful book, you took the key from me. Were you… Were you angry at me?" she asked sadly.

"You were scared. I had to know why." Harry explained gently. "I wasn't angry, just worried. Dumbledore gave me that book. I had to know why it scared you. I thought if I surprised you, I could get the key without an argument."

"How did you summon the key, without using your wand?" Hermione asked.

Harry smiled. He took out his wand and laid it on the table. Then he walked across the room and turned around to face her. He held out his hand.

"Accio wand" he chanted.

His wand leapt from the table into Harry's hand.

"Wow!" said Hermione, "that's a good trick!"

"I thought it might be useful in a battle, if I loose my wand I can summon it back," Harry explained. "I've been working on it all summer. I call it Luke Skywalker's trick."

"I saw that movie!" said Hermione. "Can you teach me to do that?"

They worked on summoning for more than half an hour. Hermione made remarkable progress. In just thirty minutes she could make her wand roll across the desk a distance of two feet. They didn't even notice when Dobby left.

Suddenly Hermione looked at the clock.

"Oh no!" she cried, "I have to leave in ten minutes. You might have to go home tomorrow. I won't see you for two and a half weeks."

Their eyes met and they moved towards each other. They held each others hands and drew close to kiss.

"Harry will be going home on Wednesday, Miss Granger," said Dumbledore.

The Headmaster was standing in the door of Harry's room with an amused look on his face.

"Hermione, you will be going into London on Wednesday to do a little acting," said Dumbledore gesturing for Hermione to follow him. "First we'll go to St. Mungo's. You can see your parents. There will be an interview with reporters about the battle at your house. You need to get your story straight. The funerals will follow."

"Oh, just one thing before I go," Hermione interrupted.

She ran over to Harry.

"Harry," she asked sweetly, "may I borrow this book? I want to read it to the house elves."

She scooped up The Adventures of Brave Young Godric Gryffindor, and then ran to follow Dumbledore down the stairs.

Harry spent Tuesday helping Dumbledore sort through muggle newspapers and police reports looking for information about people who had gone missing in the last month. They placed numbered pins on a map of Britain for each case. Those that were likely to have run away from an abusive family were marked with yellow pins, those that were likely victims of sexual abduction or gang activity were white pins, and those that seemed odd were red pins.

"What exactly are we looking for?" asked Harry.

"Lord Voldemort will have a difficult time controlling the dementors, they will want people to feed on. It's so much easier to kidnap a poor muggle than a wizard," Dumbledore answered.

Harry took a break and looked out the window. Filch was taking the ice wagon into town, it was drawn by four thestrals.

"Hermione doesn't like thestrals," said Harry absently.

"I believe that she's dusting the paintings and armor this week," Dumbledore said as he studied a newspaper clipping. "This is an odd one, a missing carpenter. Accountants disappear all of the time. It happens when their sums don't add up."

Tuesday's Daily Prophet reported the death of Nymphadora Tonks in an accident involving experimental magic. At least she was credited with dying in the line of duty while doing something dangerous.

On Wednesday Dumbledore took Harry and Hermione to Number 12 Grimmauld place using the flue network. Harry was wearing his best school clothes and carried a suitcase and Hedwig’s cage. Hermione was wearing her T-shirt and jogging shorts. Since her house had been destroyed, it was the only clothing she owned. Fortunately she was able to borrow a black dress from Hestia Jones to wear to the funerals. Then they traveled to St. Mungo's using a portkey that took them to a back room unobserved. Hermione and Harry spent a few minutes with her parents who were reported to be dead, and then she was "released" from the hospital.

Hermione told the reporters that she had been knocked out of the fight early by Theodore Nott. Harry wondered if Lucius Malfoy would be killed or tortured by Lord Voldemort when the papers came out. He hoped it would be both. Tonight would be a good time to start practicing occlumency again, he thought.

The first funeral of the day was at a military cemetery for Jason Granger. The muggles believed that he had died while trying to save Hermione's parents from the fire. It was ironic, this soldier had died in combat and his unit didn't know it.

The next funeral was a closed casket affair for Hermione's parents. It was a very sad gathering, even though the coffins were empty. It reminded Harry of Mrs. Weasley's boggart. Arthur and Molly Weasley were there. Molly cried a lot and gave hugs to Hermione. Arthur quietly invited Harry to spend the last week of vacation at the Burrow.

Then it was off to yet another cemetery for Tonks' funeral. Hermione cried at all three funerals and leaned on Harry's shoulder. Harry was sad, but there was something about graveyards that made him too nervous to cry.

"I'm glad you were with me today, Harry," Hermione said quietly as they were leaving the last cemetery. "I needed your strong shoulder."

"I don't like graveyards," said Harry, "they're creepy, even during the day."

"It's such a beautiful day isn't it," Hermione observed. "The sun is warm, the grass is green, flowers are in bloom and birds are singing. It's hopeful."

Harry was silent.

"House Elves always have their funerals in the middle of the night, so it doesn't disrupt their work." she said distantly. "Isn't that so unfair?"

Dumbledore gave Harry a bag of galleons. The teachers at Hogwarts and the members of the Order of the Phoenix had taken up a collection for Hermione. Since her parents were pretending to be dead, the insurance settlements were taking a bit longer than usual. For the time being the Grangers had nothing. Harry was given the job of buying school supplies and clothes for Hermione. She had to return to Hogwarts to polish chandeliers.

Harry returned to 4 Privet drive that evening after dark. The Dursley's weren't happy to see him although they had been told he was coming. But they were civil to him, since he was coming in from three funerals in one day.

Harry spent just over a week at Privet Drive. He worked like a slave doing his chores every day. Some afternoons he got to work on spells at Mrs. Figg's house. Mrs. Figg did some shopping for him at Muggle stores. He pretended to have forgotten his boxing lessons and eventually Dudley gave up on the idea of sparring with him. They just lifted weights. His scar hurt only once, when Lucius Malfoy was tortured. Unfortunately, Lord Voldemort did not kill him.
Chapter 8 Summer’s End by king
Chapter 8 Summer’s End

Harry spent the last week of summer with the Weasleys at the Burrow.

Ron had grown taller over the summer and was strong and tanned from his work outdoors with Charlie. He had lots of great stories about working with dragons in Wales and Scotland. He and Charlie had rescued muggles who had wandered through gaps in the magical barriers and had entered the dragon sanctuaries. They had camped out a lot. They spent a night in a muggle hotel after a pack of wyverns raided their tent. They had almost been hit by a car crossing a road.

“We couldn't just kill the wyverns because they are an endangered species," Ron explained. "Wizards have a responsibility to protect magical creatures like dragons and wyverns from muggles and vice versa."

Ginny's letter from Hogwarts contained a prefect's badge.

They compared O.W.L. results. Harry and Ron were relieved they could both go on to advanced potions. Not because they liked the idea of class with Professor Snape, but because they had to do it in order to become aurors.

Harry told Ron about his experiences instructing kids at the YWWMC, but he left out the part about Hermione being at Hogwarts. He left out the part about Cho, Katie and Cindy flirting with him too. Poor Ron hadn't seen a girl all summer.

They made a trip to Diagon Alley using the flue network to buy school supplies. Harry bought things for Hermione too. This earned him some strange looks in Madam Malkin's. When Harry took money from his vault at Gringott's Goblin Bank, he noticed a small cloth bag next to the dwindling pile of galleons. On impulse he took it with him. There were rings in the bag.

Harry and Ron also looked at new brooms. Neither boy needed a new broom, but they couldn't resist window shopping. Harry simply could not buy a broom that was better than his Firebolt, but the Comet 260LE looked like a nice broom. Harry bought one and told Ron he just wanted an everyday broom so he could save his Firebolt for serious quidditch.

The best part of that last glorious week of summer was that Harry and the Weasleys played three on three quidditch. Each team had two chasers and a keeper. There was no snitch, the game ended when Mrs. Weasley called for dinner. Harry played with Ginny and Charlie. Charlie was a super keeper. Harry could see that Ginny would be a great chaser. Ron played keeper for Fred and George. Harry used his new Comet, it was good broom but it was certainly not a Firebolt.

Then suddenly, summer was over and Harry was on the Hogwarts express headed back to school.

It seemed to Harry that a lot of his friends were up in the first coach with the prefects. Harry ended up sharing a compartment with Neville Longbottom, Katie Bell and Cindy Chambers. They were less than a half an hour out of King's Cross station when the door of their compartment opened. It was Cho and a group of sixth and seventh year girls.

"Hi Harry," Cho said sweetly, "can we come in?"

Of course Cho and her friends did come in, and the compartment was quite crowded.

Cho was accompanied by Padma and Parvati Patil, Lavender Brown and Marietta Edgecombe. Cho pushed Marietta to the front of the group next to Harry. The pustules on her face were gone and she was blushing so it wasn't possible to see the word Sneak anymore.

"Uh, Harry," Marietta said quietly, "I'm sorry I told Miss Umbridge about the D.A."

"What's past is past," said Harry. "We have to unite against Lord Voldemort and his followers now."

"Right," Marietta said, taking a deep breath, "thanks Harry."

Cho and her friends stayed to talk for a while but with nine people in the compartment it was quite crowded. The train lurched and Parvati Patil lost her balance and ended up sitting on Harry's lap.

"Sorry Harry," Parvati giggled.

Then she put her arms around Harry's neck and leaned close to him.

"Maybe we should have done this at the Yule Ball instead of trying to dance," she whispered with a smile.

The gang of girls eventually moved on down the train to find a less crowded compartment.

Katie and Cindy got Neville to talk about the trial of Jurgson and Dolohov. They wanted the real story of how Harry had saved Hermione from the death curse. Harry had thrown his body into a flying tackle to save the girl, how romantic.

The arrival of Draco Malfoy and his gang saved Harry from further flirting.

"Well if it isn't the heroic Harry Potter," Malfoy sneered, "and there isn't a Weasley in sight. Did you ditch those losers for these losers?"

Katie, Cindy and Neville reached for their wands but Harry gestured for them to refrain.

"Theodore, Vincent, Gregory, you poor fellows!" Harry said a bit too loudly and sympathetically to be believable. "It's so sad that your fathers are dead, even if they did get what they deserved."

"And you Draco, have you seen your fugitive father lately?" Harry taunted. "He's not at home much now is he? Maybe he's too busy failing to do Lord Voldemort's dirty work."

Malfoy growled at Harry, but they didn't pull out their wands. Four on four was not the way they liked to fight.

"Your dad couldn't even murder a school girl," sneered Harry. "Next time you see him, you should ask him how the Cruciatus curse really feels. Lord Voldemort isn't exactly kind to his incompetent servants."

Then Neville chimed in.

"Did you see that poem in the Daily Prophet about Theodore's dad?" asked Neville gleefully. "Theodore Nott, was killed by a shot, fired by a muggle's gun…"

The Slytherin boys slammed the door shut as they left the compartment.

A little while later Ron and Ginny showed up. Colin Creevy was with them, he was the other fifth year prefect.

"Those Slytherin boys looked angry," Ginny reported. "Did anybody say something that would offend them?"

"Would we do a thing like that?" Harry asked innocently.

"We wouldn't offend Theodore," Neville said "his dad became famous for the way he died! He could get a Fergenson award!" he laughed.

"It's not all that funny," said Ron, being unusually serious. "There are two times when your enemies are dangerous, when they're winning and when they're losing."

"Ernie MacMillan predicts gang warfare in Hogwarts this year," Ginny said glumly.

"We're going to have to take security precautions," Ron stated. "Move in groups and pair up older students with younger ones for defense. By the way, where's Hermione?"

"I think Dumbledore took her to Grimmauld place after her parents' funeral," Harry lied. "He probably took her back to Hogwarts using the flue network or a portkey."

The Hogwarts Express pulled into the station at Hogsmead fifteen minutes late. It was unseasonably cold and drizzling. Through the window of the train, Harry saw that there were very few people waiting at the station. Most were huddled under umbrellas or had their cloaks pulled around them, but he saw a thin girl with wet matted brown hair shivering in a wet T-shirt and jogging shorts. As Harry got off the train, he heard her calling:

"Second year students, come this way! Second years ride the carriages to the castle!"

She didn't look like a prefect though she wore a prefect's badge, but she had a very bossy voice that none of the younger students would argue with.

"Harry! Ron!" she cried in delight as she ran over to greet them.

Hermione gave each of them a quick kiss.

"Hermione," Ron said loudly, over the noise of the locomotive, "you're so thin!"

"Ron," Hermione answered gamely, "you're so tall! And you've gotten so strong!"

"Harry, please tell me you have some school clothes for me," she begged.

"Right here," Harry said proudly, holding a package in his left hand and Hedwig's cage in his right.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" she said shivering. "Ron we've got to direct the second year students, and we must warn them to not walk in front of the carriages!"

Ron handed Pig's cage to Harry and left with Hermione.

Harry and Neville walked towards the line of carriages looking for an empty one so they could save seats for Hermione and Ron.

As Harry was getting the owl cages into a carriage he heard Hermione shriek and then he heard a blood curdling racket like the howling of a hundred psychotic hyenas.

"Tenebrus! Scaliwag! Give that back!" Hermione demanded angrily.

"Accio T-shirt," she shouted.

"Damn!" she swore.

"Accio the-rest-of-the-T-shirt," she said in frustration.

Hermione came over to the carriage where Harry was waiting. She was wearing a bikini top and carrying a shredded rag that was the color of a T-shirt she had once owned.

"I hate thestrals!" she shouted. "Harry will you please walk with me while I direct the second year students. Just warn me if those any of those awful beasts approach. I'll fix their ass," she said waving her wand threateningly.

Harry took off his cloak and draped it over Hermione's bare shoulders. He walked with her towards the crowd of students that were still milling around the train.

"Second year students ride the carriages! Second year students ride the carriages!" Hermione shouted.

Then Harry heard a familiar deep voice booming out and he saw a huge figure looming in the fog.

"First years, to the boats! First years to the boats!" called Hagrid.

"Hagrid!" Harry and Hermione shouted in unison.

"Harry!" returned Hagrid, "how have ya been? Didja getta play any quidditch this summer?"

Harry greeted his big friend with a handshake. Hermione gave Hagrid a quick hug.

Then she took a swing at him!

Harry supposed she was trying to punch him in the stomach, but her fist slammed into Hagrid's enormous belt buckle.

"Oww," moaned Hermione, clutching her right hand with her left.

"Didja wan somethin 'Ermione?" asked Hagrid.

"I want you to teach those thestrals some manners!" she shouted in pain.

"Speaking of manners, Miss Granger," came the slimy smooth voice of Harry's least favorite teacher, "did I see you strike an instructor?"

"I diddnut feel nuthin," Hagrid said defensively.

"And, Miss Granger…" Snape continued, "there seem to be… items… of your school uniform… missing."

As he spoke, he used the tip of his wand to knock Harry's cloak off Hermione's shoulders. Then he lightly touched her with his wand and he slowly moved it down her shivering bikini clad body.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for disorderly conduct, and ten more points for being out of uniform, Miss Granger," Snape said with a smirk.

"But Professor Snape," said Hermione trembling, "you can't take points from Gryffindor. Term has just started. We don't have any house points."

"Thanks to Mr. Potter's actions in June, the rules have been changed," Snape explained with an evil grin. "And you Miss Granger are the first student in Hogwarts' history to earn your house negative points. Isn't that ironic Mr. Potter, you will have to share your fame as a trouble maker," Snape said looking at Harry. "And for that smart comment, Miss Granger," Snape added, "I'm giving you a detention, this evening."

When all of the students were in the thestral drawn carriages, Harry, Hermione and Ron climbed into the seats that Neville had saved for them. As the carriage moved towards the castle Hermione tore open the package Harry had brought for her and pulled on her school clothes right over her bikini and jogging shorts.

"I was sorry to hear about your parents," said Ron sympathetically.

"And your uncle, and your home," added Neville. "We're glad they didn't get you."

"Thank you Ron, Neville, good friends like you are such a comfort to me," Hermione said sincerely.

Hermione looked at Harry and their eyes met. Harry thought that Hermione looked a bit uncomfortable. He knew that Ron and Neville were unaware that Hermione's parents were still alive. In order to conceal the truth that Hermione had been at Hogwarts all summer, they would have to maintain the fiction that she had been at home. Harry didn't want to lie to his best friends. He looked down to avoid making eye contact with Ron but that just made things worse. On the back of his own hand he could still read the words, "I must not tell lies."

"Did either of you get the whole story on what happened to Tonks?" asked Ron.

Hermione and Harry looked at each other again.

"Tonks was working for the Ministry against Lord Voldemort. She died heroically, while on duty," Harry said. "That's enough for me."

They arrived at the castle. Hedwig and Pig were left in their cages in a room near the entrance to the great hall. They would be moved up to the students’ rooms along with the luggage. Harry had never worried about how their things were transported to their rooms. He had always assumed it was magic. Now he guessed that the job was done by house elves while the students ate. He looked around the room and wondered if there was an opening to a secret passage that was just big enough for the elves.

They walked past the glass columns that kept track of house points. There were no jewels in any of them of course, since the term had just begun, but there were 20 black balls that looked to be made of coal in the Gryffindor column. Students were talking.

"Negative house points? I've never heard of such a thing!"

"Who lost us 20 points so fast?"

"Hermione Granger?? You're kidding! I don't believe you."

"She punched Hagrid?? That's ridiculous!"

"Hermione in detention??? What kind of twit do you think I am?"

As they entered the great hall Mr. Filch passed by. He was smiling and muttering to himself about thumbscrews and the boot.

"Mr. Filch gives me the creeps," Hermione whispered to Harry.

Harry looked at her in surprise.

"Hermione Granger, friend to werewolves and half-giants, champion of house elf rights, a daughter of muggles, is prejudiced against squibs?" Harry whispered back. "I don't believe it!"

"I'm not prejudiced against squibs!" Hermione hissed. "I just don't like the way Mr. Filch looked at me. What if he saw me this summer?"

Harry was not comfortable with that thought either.

They found seats at the Gryffindor table just in time for the sorting of the first year students to begin.

"Harry, look at the teachers table," Hermione whispered. "It's Mr. Fudge!"

The sorting hat began to sing about the need for school unity. It was a long song.

Harry looked at the Slytherin table. He thought that the sorting hat was bonkers.

The hat's song did have a catchy rhythm, in four-four time. Harry heard Dennis Creevy begin to chant a counter theme to the hat's call for school unity.

Not with those snakes
Not with those snakes


Several Gryffindor students picked up on his theme and began chanting with Dennis.

Not with those snakes
Not with those snakes


They were loud enough for the Slytherins to hear what they were saying. In a few seconds the Slytherins began their own chant about school unity.

Not with Mudbloods!
Not with Mudbloods!


There was talking at the Hufflepuff table. Heated argument broke out at the Ravenclaw table. The hall became so noisy it was impossible to hear the sorting hat.

Finally Professor McGonagall shouted for everyone to be quiet. Then she rather gruffly told the sorting hat to stop singing and get on with the sorting.

"Humpf," grunted the sorting hat.

Ronald Angle “ Hufflepuff! The students at the Hufflepuff table applauded.

Glenda Bowman - Hufflepuff! Again the Hufflepuffs applauded.

Kevin Carlson - Hufflepuff! More applause from the Hufflepuff table.

By the time the sorting had reached Belinda Goodwitch and all of the students had been assigned to Hufflepuff, it was obvious that something was wrong.

By the time Sylvia Johnson was sorted into Hufflepuff, even the Hufflepuffs had stopped applauding.

The last first year student to be sorted was a short, pale, very blond boy with thick glasses named Winston Whitehead. The hat put him into Hufflepuff too.

The teachers looked at each other in shock. Professor Sprout had buried her head in her hands. The sorting hat ended with an improvised chant.

School unity, who needs that?
Why listen to a battered old hat?


Then the hat sat sulking on his stool.

Dennis Creevy leaned over to Harry and whispered gleefully, "I think I broke the sorting hat!"

Dumbledore held a quick conference with Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout and Snape. They called all of the first year students back and asked them what houses they wanted to be in. The students that had no preference were assigned to a house by Professor Dumbledore. Sometimes he would ask them a question. Sometimes he would flip a coin. It seemed a very random process, but finally the first year students were sorted and they could start eating.

After the sorting, Professor Snape came over to the Gryffindor table and took Hermione. Harry's appetite went away, he felt like there was lead in his stomach. Ron he was strangely quiet too and didn’t make a move to eat. They exchanged worried glances and looked down the corridor where Snape had taken Hermione. Little Winston Whitehead sat down in the seat she had vacated. They didn't touch any of the food until Winston asked them to pass the potatoes, and it took him a while to work up the courage to do that.

When dinner was over, Dumbledore stood up to give his welcoming speech. He gave the usual announcements about the forbidden forest and Mr. Filch's rules and quidditch tryouts, but the new stuff was a surprise.

"As you know, our community is in a state of political unrest due to the return of Lord Voldemort. The unrest will not spread to this school. Fighting among students will not be tolerated. Before you are dismissed to go to your dormitories, your wands will be scanned and registered. The use of any magic outside the classroom will be detected, alarms will sound, and you will be in big trouble. The archaic system of punishments instituted by Headmistress Dolores Umbridge, remains in effect. There will be peace in the halls of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

Dumbledore then introduced the new defense against the dark arts instructor, Mr. Cornelius Fudge.

The students began whispering with each other about Dolores Umbridge and how she had worked for Mr. Fudge.

Fudge got up to give a speech, just as one would expect from a politician.

"I would like to begin by thanking the headmaster for entrusting me with the mission of teaching you children the latest techniques to defend yourselves against those who would use dark magic against you," Fudge recited.

"As you all know, last year when I was Minister of Magic, I appointed Miss Dolores Umbridge to be the defense against the dark arts instructor." Then Fudge lowered his voice, "I sincerely apologize to all of you for that mistake." He continued, "Miss Umbridge failed to follow her instructions and greatly exceeded her authority. We do not want children learning how to cast dark magic spells. But it was never my intention that the classroom practice of defensive spells be eliminated.”

“This year, with the threat to our community clearly defined, I pledge to you that I will do everything in my power to ensure that you are well prepared to defend yourselves."

After the speeches, the students had to submit their wands to an inspection by an enchanted rod before they could go up to their rooms.

While most of the students paraded up the stairs to settle into their bedrooms, Harry, Ron, Ginny and Colin Creevy waited in the common room for Hermione to return.

It was nearly eleven when Hermione limped into the Gryffindor common room. Her face was pale and her eyes were very red. Both of her hands were curled into loose fists, she held her arms tightly across her body as if she were cold.

"Hermione!" Harry and the prefects all exclaimed in shock.

"What did Snape do to you?" Ron asked in concern and anger.

"I don't want to talk about it," Hermione mumbled as she limped towards the stairs to the girl's dormitory.

"Hermione, talk to us, please," said Harry. "We're your friends."

Hermione stopped and took a deep breath.

"I didn't like the way Snape looked at you at the station," Harry said angrily. "I didn't like the way he touched you with his wand. Did he… Did he…" Harry couldn't finish the sentence.

"Did he rape you?" Ginny asked.

"No!" Hermione exclaimed, startled. "No, it wasn't like that. It wasn't like that at all."
"I was tortured," she admitted, "my hand and foot."

"Tortured!" Harry yelled angrily, "I'm going to McGonagall."

"She knows," Hermione said quietly. "It was very painful, but it was no worse than what Umbridge did to you night after night last year."

"It wasn't fair!" Harry stated emphatically.

"I deserved to be punished," Hermione said sadly. "I lost my temper. I hit an instructor and I smarted off. My punishment was harsh, but it wasn't unjust. It wasn't pointless."

Harry and Ron looked at each other in disbelief. She had defended the teachers that tortured her. Ginny went to Hermione's side and held her as they walked up the steps to their dormitory.

On Monday morning as the term started, Harry and Ron walked to the great hall for breakfast. On the bulletin board, next to the glass columns that kept track of the house points, there was a festive announcement that congratulated Hermione Granger for getting the highest marks in O.W.L. exams for the decade. There was a picture of her smiling and waving. This was in stark contrast to her somber face as she walked by slowly with Ginny. The hall was unusually quiet. Rumors of Hermione's torture had spread like fire. All of the students understood that the rules would be enforced without mercy this year. Everyone was staring at her in curiosity.

"There aren't many owls today," Hermione observed.

Indeed there weren’t many owls, the Daily Prophet was not delivered that day.

Harry, Ron and Hermione had advanced potions right after breakfast. Like most of the N.E.W.T. courses, students from all four of the houses were combined. Ron sat down next to Hermione, while Harry ended up paired with Ernie MacMillan.

"Today we are going to brew a powerful wound healing potion," Professor Snape said. "I want you to be extra careful to follow the instructions precisely. If your product is of adequate quality, it may actually be useful. At each work station you will find a small vial that contains a clear liquid, this is the ingredient mentioned in line sixteen of the instructions. Collecting this ingredient is a rather tedious task, do not spill it."

The ingredient listed on line sixteen was "tears of a young maiden".

Harry looked back at Hermione. She was looking down at her feet. Ron was patting her back. Nearly everyone in class was looking at her. Draco Malfoy was carelessly tossing his small vial up and catching it after it made a few flips.

Harry and Ernie read all of the instructions on the board and the material in the potions book before they began. Harry looked at the vial of tears and realized there would be some extra left over.

"Ernie," Harry whispered, "I want a vial of this healing potion, just in case. We're going to make a double batch. When we get to step sixteen we'll need to nick the left over tears from Ron and Parvati."

"You distract Snape," whispered Ernie, "he watches you like a hawk. I'll get the vials."

At the end of class, Harry and Ernie filled two vials with the healing potion. They turned in one vial with their names on it while Harry stuck the other vial in his pocket.

He wasn't sure why he was taking this risk. Removing potions from the classroom without permission was grounds for expulsion. But he knew that he had to do it. He got away with it too, because Professor Snape spent a lot of time looking at Hermione.
Chapter 9 Autumn Leaves by king
Chapter 9 Autumn Leaves

That afternoon Harry, Ron and Hermione had Double Charms class. They worked on the Disillusionment Charm and as usual Hermione was the first student to master the incantation. She earned five points for Gryffindor and for the first time that day she smiled a little. As some of the students mastered the spell they began to play a version of hide and seek. While everybody in the class closed their eyes, a student would cast the Disillusionment Charm on their partner. The disillusioned student would hide somewhere in the classroom. Then everyone would open their eyes and try to find the hiding student.
Hermione cast an excellent Disillusionment Spell on Hannah Abbott. No one could see a sign of her until she planted a kiss on Harry's face. Everyone was amused, except Hermione.

Towards the end of the hour Parvati spotted a bamboo wand on Professor Flitwick's desk and she asked him what it was. Professor Flitwick explained how this cheap generic wand could be used to do simple spells. He had Harry demonstrate how to cast a spell accepting charm on the bamboo wand and how to load a charm into the wand. The preloaded charm could be set off with a proper incantation. It took three incantations to set off one spell, but that wasn't too bad considering it was just a bamboo tube with a Flobber Worm heart in it. Harry and Hermione loaded the bamboo wand with Disillusionment Spells and used it to make Ron disappear, sort of. The bamboo wands would never be useful for a complex charm like summoning a Patronus.

By the end of the first day of classes Gryffindor had earned enough house points to eliminate the coal balls. Besides Hermione's five points, Ginny had earned five points in Care of Magical Creatures, Colin had earned five points for providing the picture of Hermione that was on the bulletin board and Winston Whitehead had earned ten points. Dennis Creevy had lost five points and was disappointed that he didn't earn coal balls. Gryffindor was still in last place for house points but there was hope for tomorrow.

At dinner that evening Luna Lovegood wandered over to the Gryffindor table.

"Hi Ronald! Hi Harry!" said Luna, "Have you heard the awful news?"

"News about what?" Ron asked.

"Why there was no Daily Prophet this morning," said Luna. "I got an owl from my dad this afternoon. The office of the Daily Prophet was attacked by Death Eaters. Some of the editors were killed. Dad is helping the survivors to pull together a short paper for tomorrow."

Harry spent the evening studying Charms and Potions in the common room. At a few minutes before nine, Colin and Dennis Creevy came in through the fat lady's door.

"Weren't you patrolling with Hermione?" Harry asked Colin.

"Ron and Ginny are on Prefect duty tonight," Colin answered, "Hermione and I patrol tomorrow."

For the next half hour Harry continued to try to study, but he couldn't concentrate.

At half past nine Ron and Ginny returned
.
"Where's Hermione?" Harry asked in a worried tone.

"We saw her in the library an hour ago," Ginny answered.

"She should be back by now," Ron said. "Has anyone seen Hermione?" he shouted.

"She's not in our room," Lavender responded to Ron's shouting.

"I'm going to look for her." Harry said as he moved towards the door.

"Not without a Prefect," said Ron joining him.

Ron, Ginny and Colin all followed Harry out the door.

"To the library first!" suggested Ron as they ran down the corridor.

The library was closed and dark.

"She must have gone to Gryffindor Tower," Colin said.

"But what route would she have taken?" Ron asked.

"Wait," Harry said, "I hear something."

There was the sound of running water coming from the girl's bathroom.

Ginny opened the door of the bathroom. Hermione was lying on the floor. Her head was covered with a sack.

"Ginny, Harry stay with her!" Ron ordered, "Colin come with me!"

Colin and Ron ran to get Madam Pomfrey as Harry and Ginny dashed over to Hermione's motionless body.

Harry took the sack off Hermione's head as quickly as he could without risking a neck injury while Jenny checked Hermione's wrist for a pulse. Harry couldn't tell if Hermione was breathing or not.

"Does she have a pulse?" Harry asked Ginny desperately.

"I don't know," Ginny said with a hint of panic in her voice.

"Elevate her feet," Harry told Ginny.

Ginny used her wand to summon Hermione's book bag. An alarm bell sounded.

Harry tipped Hermione's head back and tried some artificial respiration. He was glad he had been in the First Aid class during summer camp. He inflated Hermione's lungs twice.

"Does she have a pulse?" Harry asked Ginny again.

"I don't know!" Ginny said with panic in her voice.

Harry pulled out the vial of healing potion that he had stolen from class earlier that day. He placed a few drops on the back of Hermione's tongue and rubbed her throat. Then he used artificial respiration again to inflate Hermione's lungs twice. Then he tried to give her some more potion. Then he repeated the artificial respiration. Then he did it all again.

"I think she's got a pulse," said Ginny hopefully.

Madam Pomfrey arrived with Ron and Colin.

"What happened to her?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"We don't know," said Ginny.

Madam Pomfrey passed her wand over Hermione's body and tapped a chart. A picture of Hermione's body appeared on the chart. There were several red zones on the picture of her body with notations in the margins. Madam Pomfrey studied the chart.

"Oh my," Madam Pomfrey gasped. "What have you done?" she asked Harry.

"Artificial respiration and healing potion," he said as he showed her the vial.

"Professor Snape told me what your class prepared today," she said. "Give her the rest of that vial, in small amounts, like you were doing."

Madam Pomfrey began to chant healing spells over Hermione.

Harry heard Professor Fudge outside the bathroom door.

"Ginny Weasley cast a summoning spell," Fudge said.

Professor McGonagall entered the bathroom. "Oh good heavens!" she exclaimed. "What happened?"

"Someone beat up Hermione," Ron replied.

Madam Pomfrey worked on Hermione for ten minutes.

"I think we can risk moving her to the hospital now," she said.

Madam Pomfrey conjured up a stretcher beneath Hermione and began to levitate her towards the hospital. As they left the bathroom she told Ron to seal the door, it was a crime scene. They stopped half way to the hospital wing and Madam Pomfrey repeated her scan of Hermione. Then she worked on her in the corridor for ten minutes before they started moving again. When they reached the hospital, Madam Pomfrey went right to work on Hermione, ignoring Harry and his friends.

Ron and Harry sat down in some chairs and waited. Ginny and Colin went back to Gryffindor Tower.

Hours of doubt later, Harry drifted off into sleep in his chair. He awoke thinking that hours had passed, but he had slept less than thirty minutes.

"Madam Pomfrey says that she will live," Ron reported with relief. "There's nothing we can do for her here."

Harry and Ron left the hospital. They walked through the corridors with their wands in their hands, wary.

"I want to look in the bathroom, where we found her," Ron said. "I can't figure how they were able to sneak up on her."

Since Ron had sealed the bathroom door, he was able to open it. Harry and Ron went in and looked around. There was some blood on the floor where they had found Hermione. Harry's eye was drawn to a splinter near a toilet stall. He examined it closely. It was bamboo.

"They used a Disillusionment Charm to sneak up on her," Harry said.

"Students can't cast spells outside of a class without being detected," said Ron.

"The Disillusionment Spell was cast in Charms class this afternoon," Harry explained. "Hermione and I loaded it into a bamboo wand. Anyone in the class could have stolen it."

"Who beat up Hermione?" Ron asked.

"Who do you think?" Harry asked bitterly.

"Malfoy and his friends," Ron said with certainty. "I'll bet Nott held her while Crabbe and Goyle pounded her. Malfoy wouldn't get his own hands dirty, he was the lookout."

The next morning Harry and Ron went to the hospital before breakfast. Hermione was alive but she was still unconscious. Madam Pomfrey looked tired.

"It was a busy night," Madam Pomfrey said in an exhausted tone. "I had to heal numerous bruises, a fractured skull, a concussion, several broken ribs, a lung that was punctured and collapsed, bruised kidneys and a ruptured spleen with dangerous amounts of internal bleeding. And I had only one patient,” she said looking at Hermione. “No, I had two. Pansy Parkinson burned her nose trying to remove a pimple. Professor Snape brought her in. She was in and out before the real action started."

Harry and Ron sat down to wait, but Madam Pomfrey told them to go get some breakfast and come back tomorrow. Hermione needed rest, but she would probably recover completely thanks to modern magical healing spells.

After breakfast Harry and Ron went to talk to Dumbledore about their discovery of the bamboo splinter. Kingsley Shacklebolt was in Dumbledore's office. The attack on Hermione was being treated as an attempted murder. Officials from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement were investigating.

Hermione was able to talk by Thursday, but her testimony wasn't all that helpful. She didn't see her assailants. She didn't know if she was attacked by two or ten, but she guessed four. She guessed that they were boys because they were so strong. Hearing how they had held her and hit her and hit her and hit her, just made Harry mad. In the end there was no solid evidence to prove that it was Malfoy and his gang.

Ron instituted a strict regime of self defense. No one was allowed out of Gryffindor Tower alone, groups of four or more being preferred. Ernie MacMillan ordered a similar policy for Hufflepuff. Since magic outside the classroom was strictly controlled, every book on Muggle methods of fighting was checked out of the library.

The Daily Prophet did not report the attack on Hermione. They devoted most of their space to the story of the attack on the Daily Prophet offices. Four staff members had been killed and a lot of damage done. They were using the facilities of the Quibbler to put out a one page paper each day. There was a term for this style of warfare that the wizard community had not experienced in many years, terrorism.

On Saturday morning Harry and Ron went to the hospital to escort Hermione back to Gryffindor Tower.

“Come back for me at lunch time,” she told them. “I have to talk to Madam Pomfrey and take a written test.”

That afternoon Hermione told Harry that she had joined the Nurse Training Program. This was an important first step towards a career as a Healer.

"When did you decide that you wanted to be a Healer instead of an Auror?" Harry asked her.

"I'm not sure that I do want to be a Healer," Hermione answered. "But I want to keep that option open. The important thing is the book."

"What book?" asked Harry.

Hermione whispered into his ears, "Madam Pomfrey has a personal copy of The Complete Guide to Sympathetic Magic by Amours and Lovelynn."

She gave Harry a big smile.

"She keeps it in a cabinet with a bunch of trashy novels and it's not locked!"

Hermione had a great pile of homework to catch up on but by Saturday evening Harry and Ron were bored with studying.

"Let's go visit Hagrid," Harry suggested.

"I would love to Harry," Hermione said, "but I'm so far behind in my class work."

Ron walked across the common room and spoke to Colin and Dennis Creevy and some third year boys in low tones.

"It's alright Harry," Ron said. "You and I can visit Hagrid."

Then he turned to Hermione. "Colin and Dennis will look out for you this evening. Don't leave Gryffindor Tower," he ordered.

Ron's sudden bossy attitude took both Harry and Hermione by surprise. Hermione's flashed with anger and she opened her mouth to argue, but she looked at Harry.

Harry silently mouthed "Yes Ron."

Hermione took a slow deep breath. She quietly said, "Yes Ron."

"Right," Ron said in surprise.

He seemed stunned.

"You're not going to argue with me?" asked Ron disbelieving.

Harry shook his head.

"No Ronald, I'll stay here tonight." Hermione answered. "I won't leave Gryffindor Tower. Say hello to Hagrid for me. Please tell him I'm sorry that I lost my temper."

"Right," Ron said, clearly stunned by Hermione's unexpected acquiescence.

Harry and Ron left the castle and crossed the darkening grounds to Hagrid's hut.

"I'm worried about Hermione," Ron told Harry.

"Aren't we all," Harry replied.

"I mean, it's not like her to give up like that," Ron said.

"She just got out of hospital. She's tired. Your precautions are sensible," Harry stated.

"That's never stopped her from arguing before," Ron said. "Maybe the pressure is getting to her."

Harry and Ron had a nice visit with Hagrid. He told the boys that he had indeed spent the summer in an attempt to communicate with the giants. He was optimistic that most of the giants wouldn't get involved in the fight between the Ministry of Magic and Lord Voldemort, but discouraged by the way they seemed to spend all of their time fighting each other.

"What do you make of Dumbledore hiring Cornelius Fudge to be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor?" Ron asked.

"You know Dumbledore, he gives second chances," Hagrid reminded them. "Ol' Fudge isn't a bad chap, he jes liked power. When them Death Eaters all escaped agin, he was out of a job. Reckon it made 'im a bit more ‘umble. Is he a good teacher?"

"He's not bad," Harry said, "but it's a bit early to tell."

On Sunday Ron talked Ginny and Katie into a little extra Quidditch practice. He wanted to be well prepared to keep against the Slytherins. Harry stayed in Gryffindor Tower with Hermione. By mid afternoon Hermione was ready to take a break from studying.

"Harry," she whispered, "take me to the kitchen. I need to visit the house-elves."

"I thought you would be sick of the house-elves," Harry said.

"Oh no!" Hermione said, "I've barely gotten started with them. The work was hard. But in the last two weeks of summer I had something of a breakthrough."

So Harry reluctantly left Gryffindor Tower with Hermione and they walked down to the kitchen. Hermione talked all of the time they were walking so neither one of them noticed that they were being followed by four boys.

"We spent the last two weeks cleaning up the castle for fall term," Hermione babbled.
"It was a lot of hard work, but the house-elves talk to me now."

"A whole summer of hard labor to get house-elves to talk to you," Harry said skeptically.

"I did more than that!" Hermione exclaimed. "I think they trust me now. I started reading to them."

"Reading to the house-elves?" Harry said incredulously, "Do they like books?"

"They've never been exposed to books!" Hermione said. "I started with recipes, during the week I was cooking. They thought it was useful! I could use books to expand the menu! Then I started reading children's books, mostly The Heroic Deeds of Young Godric Gryffindor."

They arrived at the painting of the fruit bowl and tickled the pear to open the kitchen door. When they entered the kitchen the house-elves were busy at work but they stopped very quickly.

The word spread through the kitchen like fire. "Miss Hermione is back!"

Dozens of smiling house-elves gathered around Harry and Hermione.

"Miss Hermione and Harry Potter!" Dobby greeted them. "We are so glad to see that you are alive and have come back to see us again!"

Hermione greeted the house-elves warmly, there were more than a few hugs.

"I'm sorry I haven't been back to see you in a whole week," she apologized. "It's been a very rough week. I brought the book I was reading. Where were we?"

"Godric had rescued the princess," said a little elf boy, "but he had to get out of the cave. There was a dragon waiting at the entrance!"

"Oh yes! Now I remember," Hermione said. "We're on Chapter 20."

The door of the kitchen opened again and Dennis Creevy and three other third year Gryffindor boys entered.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked Dennis.

"We're following you," Dennis said simply.

"Why?" Harry demanded to know.

"Uh-" Dennis began, "because Ron told us to."

"What? Why?" Harry exclaimed.

"He's bigger than us," Dennis explained, "and he wanted to play Quidditch. What are you doing in the kitchen?"

"Hermione is going to read to the house-elves," Harry said in an irritated voice.

"OK," Dennis said as he and his friends found some chairs. "Can we get some tea and cakes while we wait?"

A half dozen house-elves scrambled to get snacks for Harry and Hermione's body guards while Hermione began to read.

After Hermione had read for about five minutes, Harry felt a tug on his arm. He turned around to see one of the biggest and strongest looking house-elves that he had ever seen. The elf gestured for Harry to follow him to Old George's pantry.

"Hello Harry Potter," Old George said in a flat tone of voice. "The house-elves want to know who beat up Miss Hermione."

"There's not enough proof for an official arrest to be made, but we believe it was four sixth year Slytherin boys," Harry answered. "Their names are Malfoy, Nott, Crabbe and Goyle. Their motive is that their fathers were all either killed or humiliated in a battle that occurred at Hermione's house."

"But no proof?" George asked.

"Right," Harry said, "they are still free to roam around the school."

"They'll be watched," Old George said.

As Harry moved to the door to leave the pantry, he turned back towards Old George.

"Who else are you watching?" Harry asked George.

"Harry Potter doesn't need to know the whole lot," George replied. "But we doesn't follow little witches into the bathroom!" he added defensively.

Shortly after Harry and Hermione and their bodyguards returned to Gryffindor tower,
Ron came in from the Quidditch pitch. Harry followed Ron up to their room.

"You had us followed," Harry said angrily. "Don't you trust me with her?"

"What? Trust you with her?" Ron said in surprise. "Dennis and the boys were to protect you from Malfoy's gang, that's all. They're not spies! I'm just being cautious."

"I can take care of myself and I can watch out for Hermione too," Harry said.

"We're at war," said Ron. "You two are both major targets, especially you. It's like chess. Our best pieces have to be covered."

"And who's watching you?" Harry asked.

"I forgot about that!" Ron said in surprise. "I am assigning that job to you."

On Monday evening as Harry was eating dinner with Ron, he saw Hermione enter the great hall with Susan Bones. Both girls were wearing white capes and caps that matched Madam Pomfrey's. Hermione waved to them but sat down at the Hufflepuff table with Susan. As they were leaving the great hall after dinner they heard Hermione call to them.

"Harry! Ron! You can't leave yet! Come over here!" ordered Hermione.

"Since when did you join Hufflepuff?" Ron asked Hermione.

"We'll be at the Gryffindor table on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays," Hermione replied. "Susan and I are going to eat together so we can talk about Healing Class. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we'll eat at the Hufflepuff table but you two will need to escort Susan to the hospital after dinner."

"Why are we escorting Susan to the hospital?" Ron asked.

"Because Ernie MacMillan and some Hufflepuff boys are going to escort me to the hospital on Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays," Hermione explained.

"This sounds rather complicated," Harry said.

"You don't want me walking around the castle alone do you? And isn't Quidditch practice on Tuesday and Thursday evenings?" she asked.

"Right and right, but…" Ron said.

"Hufflepuff Quidditch practice is on Monday and Wednesday," Hermione went on. "Oh and you two will need to come to the hospital early on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday mornings to escort me back to Gryffindor Tower.

"You say you're working in the hospital on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights?" Ron said in a confused tone.

"Now you've got it!" Hermione said smiling.

"But you've got Prefect duties on those nights," Ron said.

"Oh no!" Hermione said closing her eyes and slouching. "This is complicated."

Parvati Patil had picked up Hermione's Prefect duties while she was in the hospital. Fortunately she agreed to help out until Hermione could get her schedule straight.

The following evening they practiced Quidditch until the twilight was fading. As they entered the castle they heard Dennis Creevy.

"Mr. Fudge, someone has messed with the picture of the naked lady," Dennis said.

"What naked lady?" Fudge asked.

"The one on the horse, she's got long blond hair that covers her tits, except when the wind's blowing," explained Dennis.

"Oh yes! Lady Godiva,” Fudge said with a smile. "That painting's always popular with the boys. But the spell alarm didn't go off," he added thoughtfully.

Harry glanced up as Professor Fudge climbed the stairs to examine the painting of Lady Godiva. He wondered what Dennis was up to, and he hoped it didn't cost them too many house points.

"Oh good heavens!" he heard Fudge exclaim. "It's outrageous! Who…?"

Then Harry heard a swish, and a thud, and a clunk clunk clunk as something rolled down the steps.

"Oh Shit!" Dennis shouted.

Harry and Ron ran back to see what had happened. Dennis and his friends ran part way up the stairs.

"Professor Fudge!" one of the boys shouted.

"Oh wow!" Dennis exclaimed, "he moved his eyes!"

Harry looked up. Dennis was holding Mr. Fudge's severed head.

At the top of the stairs near the painting, a mannequin of a medieval executioner moved back to its normal position. His axe was covered with blood. Harry pulled out his wand and cautiously moved up the stairs. The mannequin was immobile, the spell that had animated it having run its course. He stepped over Fudge's headless body and looked down the corridor. He saw no one. Teachers were climbing the stairs. Professor Snape was the first to the top.

"Potter!" Snape snarled. "Did you see anything?"

"No," Harry answered.

Then he saw the painting. The naked figure on the horse was Cornelius Fudge.

"It couldn't have been a student," Professor McGonagall said.

"I'll notify the Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore said.


Hermione was wearing her nurse's cap and cape over her tea towel bikini.
"Oh Harry," she said, "you're bleeding. You need a bandage."
She began to untie her tea towels.


AR AR AR AR!

Harry was jolted from the dream by the loud cawing of the rooster that was sitting on the windowsill next to his bed.

"What?" he said stunned.

"Wake up sleepy head," said the rooster, "it's time to get the girl."

"I thought Crookshanks was going to wake me," Harry mumbled.

"Oh, you wouldn't like that," the rooster said.

"Come on Ron," said Harry as he pulled on his clothes," We've got to fetch Hermione from the hospital."

"What?" Ron mumbled.

"Never mind," Harry said, "I'll get her myself."

"No wait," said Ron yawning, "I'm coming."

Harry and Ron walked through the sleeping castle in silence. By the time they got to the hospital they were almost awake.

"So who do you reckon bumped off Fudge?" Ron asked.

"It couldn't be a student, all of our wands are monitored," Harry said. "You can't animate a mannequin and have it recognize a specific target using one of those bamboo wands. It has to be an adult wizard."

"Good morning Harry! Good morning Ron." Hermione said smiling. "I'm exhausted, take me to bed."

"It's got to be a teacher," Ron reasoned.

"Harry, could Ginny or Ron switch nights for Prefect duty with me?" Hermione asked.

Harry was the captain of the Quidditch team and was expecting this question.

"We need both Ron and Ginny at Quidditch practice," Harry said flatly. "What teacher would want to murder Fudge?"

"I think it was Snape," Ron said.

"But the weather forecast is for rain this evening," Hermione argued.

"How do you figure that?" Harry asked.

"Snape has always wanted the Defense Against the Dark Arts job," Ron explained.

"It was in the Daily Prophet," Hermione said.

"Snape wouldn't kill Fudge just for the job, he'd have to prepare for new classes," Harry replied, "and the Daily Prophet is never right about their forecasts."

"Snape was the first one up the stairs," Ron said. "Who does the forecasting for the Daily Prophet anyway?"

"Couldn't you reschedule Quiddith practice to Monday and Wednesday and share the pitch with Hufflepuff," Hermione pleaded.

"The mannequin could have been enchanted hours before the murder. I think Madam Trelawny does the forecasting, it's so bad. And no, we can't reschedule practice," Harry said. "Did you have any patients for your first night on the job?" he asked Hermione.

"Maybe it was Trelawney!" Ron suggested.

"We had a couple of first year boys that collided on their brooms yesterday afternoon, they just slept all night," Hermione said. "It was so creepy seeing Fudge's head lying next to his body. We put him in the back corner, behind a screen. The Ministry of Magic officials will come to take him away today."

"Trelawney?" Harry said in disbelief. "What gives you that idea," he said to Ron. And to Hermione, "what did you do all night while your patients were sleeping?"

"She'd be the perfect assassin. No one could possibly suspect her," Ron argued. "She's such a bubble head."

"I got all of my class work done and I managed to spend a little time reading some spells in a certain purple book," she said smiling at Harry as she touched his chest with her finger.

"I don't think it was Trelawney," Harry said. "I'd believe Filch did it before her."

"Filch is an evil creep," Hermione said. "He came to look at Fudge's body last night."

"Filch is a squib, he couldn't animate a mannequin," Ron stated. "Are you making fun of me?"

"Maybe you could have Quidditch practice before breakfast!" suggested Hermione. "There's this rooster…"

"No!" Harry said.

Later that day Remus Lupin arrived at the castle. Most of the students from the fourth year on up were glad to see him. He had been the best Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor that any of them could remember. Unfortunately Professor Lupin was a werewolf and there were several days each month when he could not teach. He was there as temporary help until Dumbledore found a permanent replacement for Mr. Fudge or the moon became full.

On Thursday Hermione and Susan came over to the Gryffindor table to eat dinner.

"Here comes Florence Nightengale," Harry said to Ron who had his back turned to Hermione.

"Florence Nightengale?" Ron exclaimed. "You always have girls flirting with you! I don't know Florence, is she in Ravenclaw?"

Hermione told Harry that she had switched nights with Susan Bones so she could go on Prefect patrol that evening. It meant that she would be on duty in the hospital on both Friday and Saturday nights and that Harry and Ron would have to pick her up on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. ("Sorry about the weekend.") She didn't know what she would do about Saturday night's Prefect patrol. Professor McGonagall had hinted that she might make Parvati the full time sixth year female Prefect if Hermione couldn't do her duties. Would Harry please reschedule Quidditch practice?

"I would if I could, but I can't. The field is reserved every night," Harry explained. "Do you really want to be in the Nursing Program?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Yes definitely," Hermione stated emphatically. "The most important thing I can do is to help you find this power that you have that Lord Voldemort knows nothing about," she whispered to Harry. "I think that power is Love. And I hope that Sympathetic Magic spells can give you an advantage."

She took Harry's hand under the table.

"This is about the book," she whispered. "I'm doing this for you Harry."

"You do look cute in you nurse's cap and cape," Harry said with a smile.

On Sunday morning, the Daily Prophet reported that Death Eaters had attacked the home of Amos Diggory, the Minister of Magic. Mr. Diggory was injured and his wife was killed. Some neighboring wizards had rushed to the Diggorys’ to help. Percy and Arthur Weasley had suffered minor injuries.

On the following morning, the Daily Prophet announced that Amos Diggory had signed a decree that allowed law enforcement officials to use Veritas serum when questioning suspected terrorists or terrorist sympathizers. Another decree banned the publication of divisive material such as calls by the followers of You-Know-Who and his allies to revolt against the Ministry of Magic.

Hermione and Ron got into an argument about civil rights.

“I can’t figure her out,” Ron said to Harry later. “You-Know-Who kills her family. Diggory takes strong steps against him. But she thinks it’s a bad idea.”

“She looks at things in a complicated way,” Harry said.

“I asked her to the Halloween Ball,” Ron said.

“That’s weeks away,” Harry said in surprise.

“She turned me down, kissed me on the cheek and ran away. What’s with her?” Ron asked.

“I think she’s in love with some guy who’s not good for her,” Harry said sadly.
Chapter 10 Find My Heart by king
Chapter 10 Find My Heart

The rooster was right, Harry did not like being awakened by Crookshanks. The process started with Crookshanks jumping on him, which was rather like a punch to the stomach. Harry lay in bed trying to catch his breath, but only for a short time because Crookshanks sank his claws into Harry's leg.

"Ow, you stupid cat!" Harry shouted, waking up Ron, Neville, Dean and Seamus.

"Come on Ron," Harry said with a yawn, "time to escort our nurse home."

Ron mumbled something as he got up, but Harry didn't understand him.

They arrived at the hospital a few minutes late. Hermione was waiting at the door.
She waved from the other end of the corridor and started towards them. But she had walked only a few steps from the hospital door when a suit of armor shot her with a crossbow. She spun around a quarter of a turn and fell to her knees.

Harry pulled out his wand and ran towards her, Ron was right beside him.

Three suits of armor were converging on Hermione. One had a pike, one a mace and the closest one a sword.

Expelliarmus!” Hermione shouted, sending the sword flying across the corridor.

The swordsman went to retrieve his weapon. The pike and the mace were very close to her now and the bowman was cocking his crossbow.

"Ron, get the bowman!" Harry shouted. “Wingardium leviosa”, he chanted.

An alarm bell sounded as the suit of armor with the pike was levitated and sent smashing into the armor with the mace. Ron destroyed the bowman with the Reducto spell. Dobby and five large house elves charged out from behind a tapestry and began pounding the unarmed swordsman with sticks.

Harry dashed over to Hermione. The crossbow bolt was in her left shoulder, just above her breast. There was a lot of blood.

"Oh not again," she moaned. "Thanks for saving me Harry," she said as she passed out.

Madam Pomfrey came out of the hospital immediately and cast a spell to stop Hermione's bleeding. Professors Lupin and Flitwick came running up.

"Harry Potter cast a Levitating Spell and Ron Weasley cast a Demolition Spell," Lupin told Flitwick.

They carefully moved Hermione back into the hospital and Madam Pomfrey started working on her wound.

The house-elves attached broom heads to their sticks and began cleaning up the mess.

Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall arrived and the teachers began discussing what to do. There was a killer in the castle. One who was very good at enchantments and whose wand did not set off the alarm.

Morning classes were cancelled and students were confined to their dormitories. Harry and Ron waited in the hospital with Hermione. She had a serious wound, close to her heart. Madam Pomfrey estimated that Hermione would be in the hospital for thirty hours. Because of the battle with the murderous armor, Harry and Ron did not get in trouble for setting off spells outside of class. This greatly disappointed Mr. Filch.

The order was given for all of the armor and weapons in the castle to be checked for enchantments and moved to storage. Harry and Ron spent half of the day helping to levitate potentially dangerous objects to locked rooms. It was late morning when Ron finally got to pull Harry aside.

"Did you notice that nothing was ever said about Hermione using a Disarming Spell," Ron whispered.

"The alarm sounded when I set off the Levitating Spell," Harry observed.

"At the Start of Term Banquet, when our wands were being registered…" Ron began.

"Hermione was in detention," Harry finished.

Harry and Ron stopped by the hospital just before lunch to check in on Hermione. They were enormously relieved to see that she was conscious and half sitting up, but she began to cry as they approached.

"I'm sorry," she sobbed, "I'm sorry. It was my fault."

"What?" Harry said, in confusion. "No, it wasn't…"

"I should have waited for you," she stammered. "I was so tired. I wasn't thinking."

"No, Hermione," Ron said, "it wasn't your fault. Someone tried to murder you."

Harry stroked her hair while Ron held her hand and they tried to calm her down.

Madam Pomfrey appeared carrying a tray and a bowl of soup.

"Boys, you saved her life this morning," Madam Pomfrey said. "Now go to lunch. She needs her rest."

As Harry and Ron left the hospital they heard Madam Pomfrey chiding Hermione to drink her soup and to stop crying, she had lost enough fluid for one day.

"She's cracking up," Ron observed sadly.

"Four attempts to murder her since June, her Family’s gone, her home’s destroyed, she was tortured, is it any wonder she's upset," Harry said.

"It didn't seem to be a good time to ask to borrow her wand," Ron stated.

"Borrow her wand?" Harry asked.

"It's time we went on the offensive, put it back on Malfoy and his gang," Ron said bitterly.

Afternoon classes were cancelled for a special faculty meeting. All of the students were ordered to remain in the Great Hall after lunch. Professor McGonagall asked Harry, Ron, Ginny and Colin to fetch Hagrid. As the four left the Great Hall Professor Lupin scanned them with one of the silver instruments from Dumbledore's office.

"Why did Professor Lupin search us?" Ginny asked as they walked across the lawn to Hagrid's hut. "What are they looking for?"

"Hagrid," Harry called, when they got to his cottage. "You need to come up to the castle."

"I'm not surprised," Hagrid answered him. "I 'erd about 'Ermione bein' attacked again."

He had his crossbow and Fang with him, like he was going hunting.

It was a warm sunny day. There was a cloud of dust in the air from the wagon going to fetch groceries. Birds were singing. It would have a great day to be out of classes if they could go down to the Quidditch pitch. But they would be spending the afternoon crowded into the Great Hall with all of the other students.

They were met at the castle door by Professor Lupin.

"Ah Hagrid, you've brought Fang and your bow. Good," Lupin said. "They could come in handy if we find an intruder."

"Professor Lupin," Harry interrupted, "What exactly are you doing?"

"Well Harry, you don't need to worry about it," Lupin said. "But we're searching the whole castle for a wand or enchanted item that could have been used to animate the armor. The attack on Hermione this morning was very similar to the attack last week on Professor Fudge. You four need to go to the Great Hall with the rest of the students."

The students spent the afternoon sitting at their house tables. A few tried to read or catch up on their class work. Some of the students at the Ravenclaw table may have actually studied some, but mostly there was too much talking and teasing for anyone to get much done.

Harry looked up at the clock, only one boring hour had gone by. How long would it take to search the whole castle for a wand?

"So Ron, shall we play Naughts and Crosses?" Harry asked.

"No," Ron said. "I'm in the mood to attack. Let's try some psychological warfare."

He looked over at the Slytherin table.

"Let's take a walk," he said to Harry.

So Harry," Ron said loudly so the Slytherins would be sure to hear him over the noise.

"What sort of wizard would try to kill Hermione twice in two weeks?" Ron asked.

"A bastard," Harry replied.

"I was thinking it was an incompetent bastard," Ron said looking at Draco.

"I agree with your assessment, Ronald," Harry said loudly. "Only a group of twits could fail to murder a school girl four times in a row. It's too bad Lord Voldemort isn't here. I'd love to watch him punish his idiot followers."

Harry loved to watch the way the Slytherins cringed when he said Voldemort.

"Those guys that beat her up in the bathroom and then didn't finish the job," Ron said angrily, "they were sloppy."

The hall began to go quiet as students stopped talking and started watching the drama near the Slytherin table.

"They were stupid," Harry said, "like that fellow that got killed by Muggle gunfire. Now he's famous for being careless. But I can't think of his name right now. I guess it's not important."

"You're on thin ice, Potter!" Theodore Nott said rising to his feet."

"What are you going to do Theodore?" Harry asked. "Hex me? I dare you! Give the authorities an excuse to question you. Go ahead. Do it! They use Veritas serum now."

"I'm not afraid of Veritas serum!" Nott said shaking.

"A smart fellow like you or Draco probably could fool them," Ron said to Theodore. "But Goyle would spill it."

"Vincent, are you going to follow Draco to the grave the way your father followed Lucius Malfoy?" Harry asked Crabbe. "The Arch and the Veil are waiting for you."

Crabbe stared at them. Harry wasn't sure Vincent understood what he had said.

"You could save yourself, Crabbe," Ron said loudly. "Rat out these losers, before they rat out you."

Malfoy, Nott, Crabbe and Goyle rose to their feet with their fists clenched.

The entire Gryffindor house, most of the Hufflepuffs and about half of the Ravenclaws stood up too. Lots of fists were clenched. Lots of eyes glared at the Slytherin boys.

"You're making noise Potter!" Malfoy hissed. "You're disturbing our studies."

"Ronald!" Harry said triumphantly, "we must let Draco return to his books."

Harry and Ron returned to their seats, the hall was a lot quieter than it had been.

The teachers returned to the Great Hall. Dumbledore took a second year Slytherin boy away for questioning. The students were searched as they left the Great Hall. When the hall was emptied of students, the teachers searched the room. They didn't find the wand they were looking for.

On Thursday evening Harry, Ron, Colin and Dennis escorted Hermione and Susan from the hospital to the Great Hall for dinner. The Gryffindor table was decorated with signs and balloons that said Happy Birthday Hermione there was a cake and presents too. Ginny gave Hermione some red and gold ribbons to tie back her hair. Harry noticed with a shock that Hermione's hair was tied back with a sock. He breathed a sigh of relief that no words were visible. Neville gave Hermione a little necklace pendant of a Gryffindor lion.

"I saw you wearing one at the trial, I thought you looked cute," Neville said shyly.

Ron was embarrassed because he also had bought a Gryffindor lion pendant for Hermione.

Harry gave Hermione a white dress, just like the one she had worn at the trial in July. Then he gave her a big box that contained three stuffed animals, the Precious Puppies: one yellow, one green and one purple. Their popularity had peaked years ago but Mrs. Figg had outdone herself shopping. The kids from wizard families had no idea what those stuffed animals were about and Hermione had long since outgrown playing with stuffed animals, but it earned Harry a hug and a kiss. Then Harry gave her the Comet 260 LE.

"But Harry, I'm not much of a flyer," Hermione admitted.

"I'll teach you to love it," Harry promised. Then he whispered, "Mexico is looking better every day."

"Mexico?" she said, "I sort of prefer Hawaii."

"We can cross the Atlantic via the Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland, but there are no islands between San Francisco and Hawaii," Harry explained.

"OK, Mexico's fine," she agreed.

"A donde esta la hermosa bruja?" Harry whispered.

"I didn't know you spoke Spanish!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I don't,” Harry admitted. "I just figured out one sentence and it's probably not grammatically correct."

A group of boys from Hufflepuff made sure that Hermione arrived back at the hospital safely for her Thursday night shift while Harry and the Gryffindor Quidditch team headed for the pitch before they lost all of their daylight.

It rained on Saturday but on Sunday the weather cleared up and Harry decided that Andrew Kirke and Jack Sloper needed some Bludger whacking practice, so he took them to the Quidditch pitch. Hermione was disappointed, but Ron agreed to stay in with her. Later that day Dennis Creevy and his gang reported to Harry that Hermione had indeed talked Ron into taking her to the kitchen so she could read to the house-elves. Dennis also told Harry that Ron seemed to be a bit put out that he and Hermione had been followed all afternoon.

The following week they were surprised by the appearance of Arthur Weasley as a guest lecturer in their Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Professor Lupin had to take a few days off. Mr. Weasley talked about evil enchanted items and how to deal with them. Most of the examples he discussed were Muggle artifacts, but Harry recognized a few of the items he described as relics of the Black house.

Quidditch practice on Thursday lasted until well past sunset, thanks to a full moon.

Harry and Ron were awakened before dawn on Friday so they could go to the hospital to escort Hermione to Gryffindor tower. Fortunately, the rooster did it.

The Daily Prophet reported that an "owl bomb" had killed an employee of the Ministry of Magic. The official killed by the evil spell was Mr. Perkins, who had shared an office with Mr. Weasley. The paper advised anyone who received a howler that was attached to an enchanted item to dive for cover immediately.

On the last Saturday of September there was magic in the air. Of course there was always magic at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but this day felt special. The weather was perfect, sunny and crisp. The trees were turning colors, and Harry's friends were all excited about the upcoming wedding between Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour. Fleur's status as the Triwizard Tournament Champion from Beauxbaton Academy made it something of a celebrity event.

Harry walked to Hogsmede with Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Dean Thomas, who was Ginny's current boyfriend. Luna Lovegood also joined their group for the walk to the wedding chapel. She was covering the wedding for Witch Weekly.

Harry and his friends were all dressed in their very best clothes. Ron was in a rented set of formal robes that matched the wedding party's, he would be acting as an usher. Ginny was one of the bridesmaids and she looked very pretty in her formal dress. Harry was wearing the formal robes he had worn to the Yule Ball during his forth year, though they were beginning to look a bit short on him. Hermione was still short of clothing and wore the white dress that Harry had given her for her birthday. She looked a bit out of place at a witch's wedding, but Harry thought she looked cute.

The wedding ceremony was beautiful. Afterwards the crowd gathered in the garden behind the chapel for the reception.

"We want to take a few more pictures of the wedding party," boomed Mr.Weasley's amplified voice. "Then we'll do the Cognoscere charm, the bouquet and dinner. The band will start playing at about eight o'clock, and the dancing will go on for as long as it goes on."

A look of dread came across Ginny's face, she looked at Harry and then at Dean. "Oh no, they're not going to do that silly Cognoscere trick," she moaned.

"I've never heard of the Cognoscere charm," Hermione said in surprise. "What is it?"

" The incantation is Cognoscere Mea Vita. They'll make all of the girls do it," Ginny said fearfully. "It's a stupid parlor game for silly little girls. It has no meaning. It causes nothing but trouble," Ginny sputtered.

"Whatever it is, I won't be able to do it," Hermione stated nervously. "I don't know how it's done. Am I going to look like an idiot in front of all of these people?"

"What's the matter girls? You look distraught," Molly Weasley interrupted as she walked by.

Mrs. Weasley was beaming with happiness and excitement about the wedding. She had no understanding of Ginny's fear. Ginny took a deep breath and pursed her lips. She said nothing to her mother, so Hermione spoke first.

"Ginny was explaining Cognoscere Mea Vita to me Mrs. Weasley. I've never heard of that spell," Hermione said.

"Oh it's just a cute little divination spell that young witches play at," Ginny's mother explained. "I'm sure you can do it. I'll show you how."

"Do you think that's wise mother?" asked George.

"After all, you and dad have been married for quite a while now," added Fred.

"Quit teasing me you two. It always works for your father and me," Mrs. Weasley said indignantly. "I'll get Arthur away from that crowd of men so you'll see how it works," she gushed at Hermione.

She poured her punch into Harry's empty glass and waved her cup in the air.

"Oh Arthur Dear," she sang across the lawn. "Would you fetch me another glass of punch, I've spilled mine."

"Certainly dear," answered Mr. Weasley as he walked over and took his wife's cup.

As her husband walked across the lawn towards the punch bowl, Mrs. Weasley leaned towards Hermione and explained, "You just hold out the palm of your hand nice and flat like this. Then you spin your wand on your hand as you say the incantation. There are two parts to a happy result. First, the wand points to your true love. Then the feedback signal causes it to glow."

She spun her wand in her outstretched hand and said "Cognoscere Mea Vita".

Her wand came to a stop pointing directly at her husband and then it began to glow a lovely shade of rosy-pink.

"Oh Arthur," she called in a singsong voice.

Mr. Weasley finished filling her cup from the punch bowl and turned around. When he saw Molly's wand pointing at him and glowing pink he grinned and walked over.

"Oh you sentimental old girl," he said, as he took her arm and they walked together towards Bill and Fleur.

"They normally don't make married witches do it," said Fred.

"It could be embarrassing if her wand doesn't point at her husband," snickered George.

"And it's sad if the wand points at her husband, but the glow is gone," finished Fred.

"It's stupid," Ginny said forcefully. "Wizards just like to see little witches act like fools."

Harry felt himself being pulled aside.

"Fred and I have a little bet going, and you are the subject, Harry," George said mischievously.

"George thinks there will be seven or more wands pointed in your direction, while I say it will be six or less," Fred stated.

"You're kidding," Harry groaned.

He took a gulp of punch and began coughing.

"Watch out for that punch mom gave you, Harry," Fred warned, "I put a shot of Firewhiskey in it."

"You don't say!" exclaimed George. "Harry, be careful with that punch, it's got two shots of Firewhiskey in it.”

"What makes you two think that any of the girls' wands will point at me?" Harry croaked.

"We're both certain that there will be at least three," Fred said.

"Ginny's still stuck on you Harry. She's afraid it'll make Dean mad when her wand points at you instead of him," George said holding up one finger.

"Everybody but Ron knows that Hermione's wand will point at you mate," Fred added, holding up two fingers.

They heard Mr. Weasley's amplified voice calling for all of the fair young maidens to gather around the bride for the Cognoscere charm. Hermione and Ginny moved nervously towards the group of girls.

"And Harry, guess who is working with the catering service. Maybe you didn't see her, but she's been watching you," George laughed, holding up three fingers.

Harry looked over to the buffet table. Cho waved back at him. Harry took another gulp of punch and only gagged a little this time.

"The only question is how many other lovely ladies have a crush on you, Mr. Hero. I'm betting on at least four or more," George stated definitely.

"And I think he's being cynical," Fred replied. "Five or six girls sure, but seven or more? I don't think so."

"I can't believe that seven or more girls here are in love with me, that's ridiculous," Harry stated emphatically.

"Are you confident enough to wager ten Galleons against me?" taunted George.

"Alright, ten Galleons says Fred is right," Harry said downing the rest of his punch.

The bride spun her wand first. When it stopped it was aiming directly at Bill Weasley, and then it started to glow a beautiful and bright shade of rosy-pink. Everyone in the crowd clapped as the bride and groom moved towards each other for a bit of hugging and kissing.

Then wands were spinning everywhere.

Harry looked for Hermione and to his horror saw that she was standing near Ron.

Some wands had stopped spinning, a few were turning pink.

Hermione was crying a bit.

Ron was staring at her.

Hermione's wand spun in her outstretched hand. Then it came to an abrupt stop. It was pointing directly at Harry.

Then Harry's view of Hermione was blocked by Ginny. She had tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. She flung her arms around Harry and kissed him passionately on the lips.

"Oh Harry, you've made me the happiest girl alive," she blubbered. "I didn't know I meant so much to you."

Then she kissed him again and again as a burst of pink fireworks erupted behind her.

She broke away, tears on her face. "I'm sorry. I'll be back. I've got to talk to Dean now."

She moved away, leaving Harry too stunned to speak.

Harry heard a girl cry out his name. Was it Hermione? It sounded like she was in pain! He heard several girls call his name.

He tried to move through the crowd, but suddenly someone grabbed him in a tight hug and kissed him repeatedly. She smelled of something delicious and spicy, sort of like the buffet table.

He managed to focus his eyes and mumbled, "Cho?"

Cho was crying. All she could manage to say was "Oh Harry, Oh Harry that was beautiful." Then she kissed him some more.

He heard Ron shout, "Hermione!"

Cho let go and sniffed, "I'm sorry Harry. I've got to get back to work. Later."

"It hurts! It hurts!" Hermione screamed.

Harry spun towards the sound of Hermione's panicked voice. She was over by the fireworks. The crowd blocked his view. Then little Gabrielle Delacour threw her arms around his waist and hugged him tight.

"Oh Harry, Harry my hero, my savior, I sought zat I meant no theeng to you. I am so happy zat you love me too," she gushed.

"Harry, this is very strange," George said loudly over the noise of the pandemonium that was breaking out all around them.

"Harry! Ron! Please! Help!" Hermione cried out.

"I weel go to Ogwartz insteed of Beauxbaton!" Gabrielle promised. "I weel grow up as fast as I can for you, Harry, my beeg strong hero."

"There are a lot of wands pointing at you. I predicted that. But they are ALL glowing! That's impossible!" George exclaimed.

"Ow it's hot!" Ron yelled.

"How can you love so many girls at once?" Fred asked.

Gabrielle had no more than let go of Harry when a girl with curly red hair practically smothered Harry with a kiss.

"Oh Harry! This is like a dream!" she said. "I thought you didn't even know my name."

Harry looked at her. Was she a cousin of the Weasleys?

"I don't know your name," he told her.

She kissed him again anyway.

"Oohh!" Hermione cried in pain.

"Bill's friend, that fellow Pye from St. Mungo's, get him over here!" a man shouted.

Harry broke away from the red headed girl and tried to move towards the spot where he had last seen Hermione. He got about two steps through the crowd when a tall athletic girl wrapped him up in a hug.

"Oh Harry! It was just a girlish fantasy! I didn't dream that you cared about me!" she said.

"Damn you Harry! You owe me ten Galleons!," George shouted angrily. "Alicia Spinnet! We have issues to discuss!"

"Wow!" Fred exclaimed. "We lost the bet in a big way! There were at least seven wands pointing at you. And every one of them glowed like the Bride's! I didn't see what happened with Hermione. Was she number eight? Oh crap… It's nine! Get out of here Harry," Fred said as he shoved Harry and then moved to head off Angelina.

Harry broke through to where he thought Hermione should be, but she wasn't there. Through the crowd he saw Ron moving away. Was Hermione with him?

"Harry, that was amazing," Luna Lovegood said in her typical dreamy way.

"Did your wand glow too?" Harry demanded to know.

"No, he doesn't even know I exist," she admitted sadly.

"What happened to Hermione? Did you see?" he asked her, trying to remain calm.

"Her wand pointed right at you," Luna calmly reported. "Then she got the feedback. On a scale of one to ten, it was about two hundred. I've never seen anything like it. It was quite beautiful but I think her hand was burned."

A pretty girl grabbed Harry, kissed him, and began babbling in French. Harry forced a polite smile and gently pushed her away.

He tried to move in the direction he saw Ron. After a few steps through the crowd, and some more kisses from yet another girl, he saw Ron coming towards him. Ron looked very angry.

"Ron!" Harry shouted. "Where's Hermione? What happened?"

"You Asshole!" spat Ron. "What did you do to her? You hurt her!"

"I didn't do anything!" Harry pleaded.

He stepped to his right through a gap in the crowd that gave him a view of Hermione. A tall wizard was holding a wand over her hand. There was a person between him and Ron so he dodged safely towards Hermione.

"Hermione!" he cried. "What happened?"

She looked up at him. There were tears on her face.

"Harry, I called for you. Why didn't you come?" she asked sadly.

"I was attacked," he said.

He thought that sounded better than saying he had been hugging and kissing other girls.

"What did you do young man?" demanded the healer. "How did you amplify your feedback signal? More that half a dozen girls got feedback from you! This girl had third degree burns on her hand! How could you do such a thing?"

"I didn't do anything!" pleaded Harry again.

Ron tried to grab Harry by the arm, but Harry jumped forwards to Hermione's side. He went down on one knee beside her and gently grasped her forearms.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," he said, "I'm so sorry. What happened? What does it mean?"

Ron glared down at him.

Harry gave Hermione a hug and she put her head on his shoulder.

"If you ever hurt her again, I'll hex you so bad you won't be able to sit down for a month," Ron warned Harry.

"Oh Ron," Harry said, "I don't want to hurt Hermione. I don't want her to ever be hurt. I love her."

"You have a strange way of showing it," Ron snarled.

Harry held Hermione's hand in his and examined her palm. The healer had done a good job but her palm was pink and there was a scar where her wand had burned her.

Hermione gently touched Harry's face and quietly asked him, "Who attacked you? What happened to your face?"

Harry gazed into her eyes for a moment and then looked down in shame.

"A bunch of girls kissed me," he confessed.

"All of this is lipstick!" Hermione gasped. "I thought it was just blood."

They sat quietly for a few minutes, holding hands, trying to figure out what had just happened. Hermione spoke first.

"I'm pretty sure now that the mysterious power you've got is Love," she said calmly. "That was an awfully strong feedback signal you were sending out. I don't fully understand it. Maybe it has something to do with your mother's sacrifice, or maybe it's just you. I don't know where all of this power comes from, but this is what you need to learn to control. There must be some spells that you can use. I need to find the right books."

In the uproar that was created by the Cognoscere charm, there had been only one island of peace in the garden. While everybody else moved about and shouted, Bill and Fleur just held each other and kissed, oblivious to the turmoil around them.

When things had calmed down a bit, it was time for Fleur to toss her bouquet. As at a Muggle wedding, the girl that catches the bouquet is supposed to be the next one to get married. But there are some differences between a witch's wedding and a Muggle’s wedding. For one, the bride casts an enchantment on the bouquet to guide it to the right maiden. Also a levitating charm is used to send the flowers high into the sky. Finally all of the young witches hold up their wands and cast summoning charms as the flowers sail through the air.

Hermione would have nothing to do with that spectacle. She stood to one side with Harry and spoke quietly about sympathetic magic. She didn't care who caught the bouquet, so she didn't watch the flowers ascending into the sky. She didn't see it curving through the sky and accelerating like a mad Bludger. She was still quietly talking to Harry when the bouquet smacked her hard in the face.

Harry and Hermione left the party after dinner when the dancing began and walked back to Hogwarts. Since it was Saturday night, Hermione had to work in the hospital wing. Harry could not dance and did not want to face all of the girls who now thought he loved them.

Harry knew for sure now that he loved Hermione and that she loved him. That worried him. He had hurt her today and their love would probably get her killed before the war was over. Ron was jealous and angry and wouldn't talk to him. For that matter Ginny, Fred and George were all mad at him too, and he hadn't done anything.

Harry said good night to Hermione at the entrance to the hospital wing. He should have given her a long and romantic kiss but it was done quickly and nervously. They were both a bit scared by it all.
Chapter 11 The Fall by king
Chapter 11 The Fall

Harry had always drawn more than his share of furtive looks and giggles from his fellow students, but on Sunday it was worse. The girls were especially bad. Rumors of what had happened at the wedding had spread through the castle almost as fast as a secret. Noisy groups of them went quiet when he approached. He heard sighs behind his back. He caught glimpses of longing stares from first and second year girls he had never met. Ginny looked like she had been crying. Cho blew him a kiss in the middle of the Great Hall, in front of everyone. In general the boys were not as bad, but only because they were a bit slower to absorb the gossip. Those in the know were either threatening him or teasing him. Dean Thomas frowned at him whenever he passed, he was angry about Ginny. Michael Corner glared at him and made sure that Harry saw his wand. Did he plan on dueling for Cho?

Dennis Creevy invented the phrase. He was joking, but very few boys laughed. When the girls heard Dennis, they tended to giggle and turn red.

Harry Potter was The Love King.

Hermione seemed irritable and nervous. She stayed very close to Harry.

"You've got to talk to Ron," Hermione whispered urgently, "today."

Ron was sitting at the other end of the Gryffindor table. He looked angry and formidable. Harry knew that Hermione was right.

Harry followed Ron up to the Gryffindor common room. There were several third year students there so Harry felt he could approach Ron without being attacked.

"Ron," Harry began.

Ron turned and glared at him without speaking.

"You are my best friend," Harry stated. "We've got to talk about Hermione."

"What's there to talk about?" he asked angrily. "You and Hermione are a couple. And I'm out of it."

"Ron you're not out of it. You're our friend," Harry said earnestly. "We need friends. I need your help."

"Seems like you two are doing fine without my help," he said grimly.

"Ron you care about her. We're in love. Be happy for us. Be afraid for us," Harry asked.

"What!" he shouted. "What do you mean be afraid for you?"

"She's Harry Potter's girlfriend," Harry said. "That's not good. I'm always in trouble. What if I don't get away with it some day? I might as well have painted a target on her back."

"You want me to help you protect her, is that it?" Ron asked bitterly.

"That's it exactly," Harry said. "Will you help me do it?"

Ron sighed. "Am I your best man?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Harry answered.

"Do I get to kiss the bride?" Ron asked.

"Once or twice, I'm not greedy," Harry stated.

"Alright Harry, we're friends." Ro said.

They shook hands and looked around. They hadn't noticed the crowd gathering around them in the common room. Hermione was crying, but smiling. Luna Lovegood was standing beside her.

"When did you join Gryffindor?" Ron asked Luna.

"Oh… Ronald… I…" she stammered. Then she regained her composure and tried to talk in her usual dreamy sort of way. "I just wondered if Ginny wanted to study charms and transfigurations with me. We have our O.W.L.s this year."

On Monday Professor Sprout substituted for Professor Lupin in Defense Against the Dark Arts class. She talked about evil uses of plants and enchantments that could be placed on plants. She knew a lot about the Whomping Willow and how a similar but temporary enchantment could turn an ordinary tree into a dangerous trap.

Hermione hovered around Harry, but Ginny Weasley managed to give Harry a big hug and a kiss in a corridor when Hermione wasn't looking. About a dozen girls were openly flirting with Harry at every opportunity. Hermione retaliated by using Harry's sock to tie back her hair with the words "Property of Harry Potter" clearly visible. Harry felt like crawling under a rock.

At lunch Ron quietly promised Harry that he would have a talk with Ginny. He had seen what had happened to Hermione's wand at the wedding, and he knew that many girls had gotten a signal from Harry as strong as the one Ginny had. George had told Ron all about it. Ron had bet a Galleon and five Sickles against George.

As the three left the Great Hall, Ron said to Harry, "You know mate, you're going to hurt Hermione's feelings if you don't do something about all of these girls that are flirting with you. But I'll help you out. Just send them to me and I'll help them get over you."

A salt cellar from the Ravenclaw table bounced off the side of Ron's head.

That evening Harry took Hermione to the Quidditch pitch to try out her new broom. It was a good broom with excellent handling characteristics and an extra large zone that was enchanted with a cushioning spell. This feature turned out to be useful as Hermione got off to a shaky start until Harry climbed onto the broom with her.

On Tuesday morning the second year Slytherin boy who had been questioned after the search of the castle was found hanging in the owlery.

On Wednesday morning Harry and Ron met Hermione at the door of the hospital. She had her wand out and would not leave the hospital until Harry and Ron took theirs out too. She walked very close to Harry, holding his left hand with her left hand behind her back. As they passed through the entry hall she stopped and spun around to check behind them without letting go of Harry's hand.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

She paused, "is my hair sticking out of my nurse's cap at odd angles?" she asked.

Yes, it is," Harry admitted, "but it's early in the morning so I won't tease you."

"Harry has no business teasing anybody about bad hair," Ron quipped.

"I'm scared of my own shadow," she admitted.

"Why are you so jumpy?" Ron asked. "Has there been another murder?"

"Professor McGonagall was knocked off a balcony last night by a potted plant," she said.

"Was she killed?" Harry asked in horror.

"No, she changed into a cat on the way down and landed on her feet," Hermione said as she looked at all of the nooks and crannies in the great room above them. "She broke both arms and both legs, plus the head injury. She's in the hospital today."

"That's two attacks this week," Ron observed. "If there wasn't a war on, they'd close the school. They might do that anyway."

They cautiously continued on to Gryffindor tower so Hermione could get a nap before morning classes.

An hour later Harry and Ron sat down in the great hall for breakfast. They had scarcely eaten a bite when the Daily Prophet arrived. Madam Maxime, the headmistress of Beauxbaton Academy, had been murdered. Harry and Ron abandoned their breakfast and quietly walked to Hagrid's cottage.

Harry and Ron met Hermione in Potions class and told her the news about Madam Maxime. It was almost enough to drive the thoughts about Professor McGonagall out of their minds, until Professor Sprout showed up. Professor Snape would be substituting in Transfiguration classes today. The subject of the day in Potions class had been changed to herbal concoctions.

Professor Lupin returned on Thursday and no one seemed happier than Professor Sprout. Andrew and Jack collided badly in Quidditch practice when they both went for one Bludger at the same time. Harry and Ron took them to the hospital where Hermione patched them up while Madam Pomfrey watched over her shoulder.

For the next week and a half, things settled down a bit. Ron heard from his mother that Bill and Fleur were having a lovely honeymoon in Rome. She also told them that the Order of the Phoenix was very busy. Dementors were randomly attacking both wizards and muggles. Hermione wanted to spend more time reading to the house elves but Harry wanted her to spend more time flying her broom. Hermione mostly gave in to Harry. There were a lot of girls that would flirt with Harry if he started to look bored with Hermione. The girls finally stopped asking Harry to go to the Halloween Ball and started asking Hermione if they could have one dance with Harry at the Ball. It was difficult for her to say no without looking jealous and greedy, but Harry didn't dance.

By Tuesday of the following week Gryffindor had taken the lead in house points. They now had one hundred red rubies in their column, due mainly to the efforts of little Winston Whitehead with some assistance from Hermione.

Harry and team were climbing the stairs to Gryffindor tower after Quidditch practice when a group of girls called up to Harry. In the few seconds that he turned around to wave at them the stairs changed positions. This happened all the time at Hogwarts and Harry thought nothing of it. He just climbed to the top of the flight of stairs and waited for it to change back to the position that he wanted. He waved at the girls again and noticed that Cho was in the crowd.

Then his legs suddenly gave way and he pitched off the stairs. There was nothing he could do but scream as the stone floor came rushing towards him.

He stopped a few inches from death and floated gently to the floor. Cho was standing over him with her wand, the alarm bell was sounding.

"Harry!" Cho gasped. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"My legs gave way and I fell off the stairs," Harry said nervously.

"Oh my God!" Lavender squealed. "Look at his legs!"

"His bones are gone!" Parvati exclaimed.

"Someone tried to murder him!" Padma shouted.

The girls all pulled out their wands and surrounded him protectively.

Harry heard Ron shouting at the top of the staircase.

Another voice shouted, "I saw movement behind that tapestry!"

Professors Sinistra and Sprout arrived and ordered the girls to take Harry to the hospital.

At the hospital Hermione passed her wand over Harry and tapped a chart, an image of Harry's skeleton appeared on the parchment.

"What does your osteograph show?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"The leg bones, left and right, from femur to phalanges, they're all gone. The pelvic arch is gone. Two anterior coccygeal vertebrae are gone." Hermione reported nervously.

"Lumbar and sacral vertebrae?"

"They're present, mam."

"Harry's lucky. That was close. What is the total number of missing bones?"

"Sixty eight," she said trembling.

"Maintain your professional demeanor Miss Granger. Treatment?"

"Skelegrow."

"How much?"

"A lot."

"Can we be more precise, Miss Granger."

"For Harry's height, weight and build I think we use chart 15 MS."

"Very good. Add it up for all of the bones of one leg, multiply that by two, then add in the amounts needed to regrow the pelvis and coccyx."

Hermione performed some calculations.

"Thirty five ounces."

"Very good, perform the enchantments."

"Yes Mam."

Skelegrow was a complicated potion to prepare. Before Hermione got to work she spoke to the girls who had brought Harry in.

"Thank you Cho," she said trembling slightly, "Thank you for saving Harry's life."

"Harry and I had a lot of practice catching falling bodies at summer camp," Cho said. "Now go save his legs."

Cho and her friends left the hospital.

Hermione poured three bottles of Skelegrow into a large cauldron and began gently warming it. She arranged many small pieces of parchment on a table. She wrote the name of each bone Harry had to regrow on the special parchment with a special ink. One piece of parchment was used for each bone. The parchments were then dissolved in the potion while an incantation was performed. Hermione repeated this process sixty-eight times.

Madam Pomfrey watched her closely, but said nothing until Hermione was done.

"I think you've done a fine job, Miss Granger," Madam Pomfrey assured her. "Now Harry, you get to drink all of this. I'm sure you remember how it tastes, but swallow it all."

Harry began drinking the enormous cup of potion. He found it helped if he held his breath. But it tasted horrible all the same.

"I have to go to the Headmaster and report on Harry's condition," Madam Pomfrey said. "Watch after our patient."

When Madam Pomfrey left, Hermione held Harry's hands and looked at his face, a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Oh Harry, dear," she said tenderly, "it's Skelegrow. You know what to expect."

She paused as another tear escaped her eyes.

"I survived it once before," Harry confirmed.

"But… But this time, it's… it's sixty eight bones," she said fearfully.

"I'm alive. I'll make it through," Harry said bravely. "You and Madam Pomfrey have done a smashing job."

"There's a spell I've read about," she said. "If it works, it could relieve your pain."

She paused.

"Do you trust me?" she asked nervously. "Shall I try it?"

Harry remembered how his arm felt when he had to regrow two bones one night during his second year.

"It could be worth having a go at it," he said.

Hermione went into Madam Pomfrey's office. Through the window Harry could see her consulting a large book and writing some words on a small piece of parchment.

"The alarm won't go off, the hospital is a classroom," she said when she returned. "It's complicated," she said nervously, "Sympathetic Magic. There are two parts to the spell. We have to work together."

She stopped and stared into his eyes, tears began forming in hers.

“Oh Harry, I love you. I've loved you since our first year when you jumped on the back of that troll. I'll follow you anywhere you must go," she said crying softly. "Do you love me?"

"Yes Hermione," Harry said, "I love you."

"Then hold that thought," she instructed Harry, recovering her composure. "The first incantation will form a bond between us that allows us to work magic together. The pain relief spell is one of many powerful spells in sympathetic magic," she lectured." Hold your wand to your heart, then say this incantation and touch your wand to my heart. I'll be doing the same thing. If it works you should feel a tingle."

"It sounds serious," Harry said hesitating.

"It's very serious," Hermione said nervously, "but I can't bear to watch you suffer."

She looked like she might start crying again.

Harry did as instructed while Hermione performed the ritual simultaneously. When Hermione's wand touched his heart Harry felt a warm and pleasant tingling. When Harry's wand touched Hermione, her legs gave way and she went down on her knees, grabbing the rail of Harry's bed for support.

"Hermione," Harry said in a worried tone, "are you alright?"

She slowly pulled herself to her feet and leaned on his bed.

"Wow," she said softly. "Did you feel anything?"

"Yes, I felt a tingle like you said," Harry confirmed.

Hermione smiled at him, trembling. She said another incantation and touched him with her wand. Then she touched herself with her wand.

She was still standing near Harry with her wand out when Madam Pomfrey walked in.

"Miss Granger! Did you cast a spell on Mr. Potter?", Madam Pomfrey demanded to know.

Hermione hung her head and sighed, "Yes Madam."

"You know that casting an unsupervised healing spell is against the rules!" Madam Pomfrey shouted at Hermione. "It's dangerous! I could throw you out of the Nursing Program! What did you do?"

"I cast a pain relieving spell," Hermione said softly, staring at her feet.

"A pain relieving spell? I will take 50 points from Gryffindor and give you a week of detention." Madam Pomfrey said. "A pain relieving spell?" she mumbled as she walked to her office. "The poor boy… We haven't covered… What sort of…"

Madam Pomfrey entered her office. Through the window Harry saw her startle. She picked up a large purple book and clutched it to her chest. She looked out the window at Harry and Hermione. Her face went white.

"Oh damn, I left the book out," Hermione said panicky.

"Miss Granger! Come in here at once!" Madam Pomfrey ordered.

"What spell did you use?"

Harry couldn't hear Hermione's soft replies, only Madam Pomfrey's shouts.

"What possessed you to try that?"

"What degree?"

"Oh Dear Girl! No!"

Did you perform the Bonding Charm?"

"Did Potter?"

Madam Pomfrey stormed out of her office dragging Hermione to Harry's bedside.

"Have you two…? The two of you…? Have you been…? Do you…?" Madam Pomfrey stammered and then whispered. "Do you two, do it?"

"Do what?" Harry asked.

"No Madam," Hermione answered quickly.

"Your spell can't possibly have worked," Madam Pomfrey stated flatly.

"I doubt it very much." she continued.

After a long pause she added, "But… what if it did?"

"Did it work?" Madam Pomfrey asked Hermione.

"I think… maybe… yes…" Hermione said meekly.

"I must assume…" Madam Pomfrey began shakily. Then she paused.

"Miss Granger you have always been a model student," Madam Pomfrey said in a professional tone of voice, "and I believe you could become a great healer if you stay the course. You will not be expelled."

Hermione and Harry both breathed a sigh of relief.

"For performing that other unauthorized spell, I'm taking 50 points from Gryffindor and giving you a week of detention," Madam Pomfrey said sternly.

"For unprofessional conduct, I'm taking 50 points from Gryffindor and giving you a week of detention," she continued. "A nurse should not get so involved with her patient."

Hermione went pale.

"And for dereliction of duty, I'm taking 50 points from Gryffindor and giving you a week of detention."

"Dereliction of duty!" Hermione protested.

"Go to Miss Bones immediately, and tell her she will have to be on duty tonight. Then you go to your room and go to bed." Madam Pomfrey ordered.

Hermione ran from the hospital crying. Madam Pomfrey watched her retreat. When she turned around, Harry saw her wipe a tear from her eye.

"Oh that dear sweet girl, that was so…" she said to herself.

"Well Harry, this is interesting," she said gently. "I'm sure you remember how painful growing new bones can be. I'm going to immobilize you from the waist down, to reduce the pain. Petrificus Periplegia"

In a short while Susan Bones arrived at the hospital. Madam Pomfrey showed her the charts of Harry's missing bones and the Skelegrow order. Susan preformed her own bone scan under Madam Pomfrey's supervision.

"There's no change yet," Susan reported.

"It should start in about an hour," said Madam Pomfrey, as she left.

There wasn't much to do. Susan questioned Harry about what had happened. It was really a stroke of luck that Cho had caught him before he hit the floor. Cho had more practice than anyone else in the castle at catching falling people.

What was bothering Hermione?

A pain relieving spell?

We haven't covered that yet.

Sympathetic magic?

I thought that was fiction.

A little past ten, Ginny and Colin came in. They were Prefects and could leave the dormitory at night on official business.

"Are you in pain?" Susan asked Harry. "Do you feel like visitors?"

"I'm fine," Harry answered.

"Ron caught a house-elf," Ginny told him. "It's Winky, she's being questioned about the attack on you."

"Winky?" Harry exclaimed. “That's ridiculous."

"I think so too," Ginny agreed, "but she may have seen someone, maybe another elf."

"There's another matter," Colin said seriously. "This evening we had one hundred House Points. Now there are one hundred coal balls in our column. Dennis claims it wasn't him, but we've got him tied up. Do you know anything about it?"

“Hermione cast an unauthorized Healing Spell,” Harry said. “Madam Pomfrey was furious. She docked Hermione two hundred House Points.” He couldn't bring himself to add "and four weeks of detention."

"That's unbelievable," Ginny said shaking her head.

"We might have to torture Dennis, to make him confess," Colin said grimly.

Susan spent the night sitting next to Harry's bed. She scanned him with her wand about every hour, each time tapping a special piece of parchment and producing a picture that showed Harry's bones. Susan asked Harry repeatedly if he was feeling pain. Harry found being immobilized to be uncomfortable, but he told Susan it wasn't so bad. Susan told him that the Skelegrow was working, and she showed him the new bits of bone that were appearing on her charts. Susan also told Harry that she thought he was very strong and very brave. Harry managed to sleep in short naps.

At five-thirty in the morning, Susan told Harry that his bones seemed to have grown back. At six Madam Pomfrey returned. She checked the charts. At six-thirty Madam Pomfrey said Harry's tendons were probably strong enough, and she removed the paralysis charm. At seven fifteen Harry walked carefully to the Great Hall for breakfast, Madam Pomfrey held one of his hands while Susan held the other.

The Gryffindor students cheered when he arrived. There was applause at the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables too. Luna Lovegood came over and sat between Harry and Ron, she asked Harry lots of questions.

After breakfast Harry started back to Gryffindor Tower to get his books and papers. He was stopped at the door of the Great Hall by Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. They looked exhausted and grumpy.

"What did you do to Hermione?" they demanded to know.

"I didn't do anything to her," Harry stammered. "Is she alright?"

"She's resting now," said Parvati.

"We didn't get any sleep all night," Lavender complained.

"She was delirious, moaning and groaning, like she was in pain," Parvati reported.

"It was awful. Sometimes she screamed and cried. She kept calling your name," Lavender said.

"We held her hand," said Parvati.

"I don't think she even knew we were there," Lavender concluded.

"I don't understand," Harry told them. "I'm going to the tower."

As Harry began to walk, a bit slowly and still shaky, he saw Luna approach Lavender and Parvati.

He heard Andrew Kirke and Jack Sloper say, "Yes Ron, we're on it."

They escorted him up to his room. He didn’t see Hermione so he gathered his things and slowly walked to Potions class.

Hermione was the last student to arrive at Potions class. She was pale and disheveled and looked exhausted, even worse than Parvati. She gave Harry a weak smile when she saw him. They had no chance to talk during Potions class as Professor Snape seemed to hover near Hermione as though he were looking for a chance to add to the punishments that had been heaped onto her by Madam Pomfrey.

They had to brew a Fortifying Potion today. It was a complicated recipe. At one step they had to stir it with an ornate gold rod. Professor Snape was very careful to make sure that none of the gold rods went missing. Harry and Ernie were being very careful, as Ernie always was in Potions class. They were the last ones to finish the step with the gold rod and Professor Snape was impatient that it be returned quickly. Harry finished the last few counter clockwise strokes with the gold stirring rod and pulled it out of the cauldron to drop it in the tray with the rest of them. He heard Hermione gasp and moan slightly.

"Drop the rod," she whispered, "it's hot!"

Harry quickly dropped the rod into the tray.

Hermione was pointing to her right hand with her left index finger.

"Look at your hand," she mouthed.

Harry saw that his thumb and forefingers were bright red and blistered in the pattern of the filigree on the gold rod.

Harry raised his hand.

"What is it Potter?" Professor Snape asked.

"I burned my hand sir," Harry said, "may I go to the hospital."

"It doesn't appear to be serious," Snape said in a bored tone, "you can wait until class is finished."

Hermione raised her hand.

What is it Granger?" Snape asked, rolling his eyes.

"Excuse me sir," she said sweetly, "I have some burn cream in my first aid kit. I can take care of Harry's hand and it needn't disturb the class."

"It has already disturbed the class Miss Granger," Snape said irritably, "but yes you may treat the fool's hand."

Snape watched her dig through her book bag and pull out a smaller black bag that contained a variety of first aid potions and creams.

"Miss Granger, don't drop your book bag when climbing the stairs, it could be a lethal weapon," Snape joked.

Hermione applied the burn cream to Harry's red fingers and breathed a sigh of relief.

Harry stared at her in horror and understanding. She smiled at him and blushed.

As soon as class was over Harry walked over to Hermione and Ron as fast as his shaky legs would carry him.

"Let's swap book bags," Harry suggested, "mine is lighter than yours."

"Oh thank you Harry, that's so thoughtful. I'm awfully tired," she said quietly. "But I don't think it's wise for you to carry so much weight this morning. Your leg bones and tendons are still tender."

She struggled as she picked up her own book bag.

"That's it. Swap book bags with me, Hermione," Ron ordered.

"Yes sir!" she answered.

"Ugg!, Your bag weighs a ton!" Ron complained.

"Hermione, what sort of spell did you use on me last night?" Harry asked her sternly.

"It worked! Didn't it? Did you feel any pain from the Skelegrow?" she asked eagerly.

"That wasn't a pain relieving spell, was it?" Harry asked sharply. "That was a pain transfer spell wasn't it? Lavender and Parvati are suspicious. They heard you moaning."

"It's alright Harry, I made it through," Hermione said defensively.

"What's this about?" Ron asked.

"The spell that knocked me off the stairs caused my leg bones to vanish. Growing new bones overnight causes a lot of pain," Harry explained. "Hermione put a spell on me that took away my pain, but she felt it instead. I burned my hand in potions class. I didn't feel it, but she did."

"Wow!" Ron exclaimed. "That sounds like very high level magic. Are you sure you know what you're messing with?"

"Please don't be angry Harry," Hermione pleaded. "I just couldn't watch you suffer."

"You were tortured all night, so I wouldn't hurt!" Harry said. "I'm not angry at you. I should thank you. I do thank you. What you did was really sweet. But I wouldn't have let you do it if I had known it would hurt you. It must have been horrible."

"The important thing is that it worked!" Hermione exclaimed. "Now we can start to learn all sorts of Sympathetic Magic, spells that can be useful if we're attacked, spells to increase your strength and stamina, spells that increase the power of ordinary spells. We can start practicing now!"

"Sympathetic Magic?" Ron exclaimed in disbelief. "You can't be serious. That's just a plot device in trashy romance novels. It's like amnesia. It's not real. I mean it's not like the novels. It's rare. Only married people can do it. And most married people don't like each other enough to even try it."

"It's real Ron," Hermione said defensively. "Harry and I made it work. That's why I got in such big trouble. Madam Pomfrey was mad at me. I couldn't work my shift. I was getting personally involved with a patient. And the spells were unauthorized."

"Did she really loose two hundred House Points?" Ron asked Harry.

"Yes," Harry replied, "two hundred points and four weeks of detention."

"It was worth it," Hermione stated.

"But…" Ron stuttered. "Detention? What about Filch?"

"Oh no…Oh no…" Hermione stammered, turning pale. "Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore wouldn't give me to him for four weeks. They just couldn't do that..."

"If Filch touches you again, I'll kill him," Harry said coldly.

"No Harry, No" Hermione pleaded, "I'm a big girl. I'm in Gryffindor. Don't cause needless trouble. Let them do what they'll do. When it's over, we'll be stronger."

"How long will this pain transfer spell last?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Just twenty-four hours and then it will wear off," she assured him
.
"What about that first spell? The one we did together, how long does it last?" he asked.

"Well…" she started. "I haven't read the whole book. I focused on spells that might be useful in combat. I’ve been really busy!"

"Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall called as she came out into the courtyard.
"The headmaster wants to see you about your detention. I must say I'm shocked by your behavior. It seems that I will have to make Miss Patil Prefect on a permanent basis. Between your nursing duties and your detention, you won't have a free evening until mid-November. It's amazing Madam Pomfrey is not throwing you out of the Nursing Program."

Hermione took her book bag from Ron and grimly followed Professor McGonagall.

Harry," Ron said thoughtfully, "I was jealous when I learned that Hermione loved you. It was better you than Krum, but still..." he paused. "But now, I'm getting over it. She's gone round the bend."

Harry had a few minutes alone with Hermione after lunch because Luna Lovegood was talking to Ron. They went to the charms classroom early.

"Dumbledore has settled on my punishment," Hermione told Harry, "and it doesn't involve being tortured by Mr. Filch."

"That's a relief," said Harry. "I can think of several ways to murder Filch without magic, but hiding the body could be a problem. What are they going to do to you?"

"I'll be back in tea towels," she said smiling. "I'll have to work when I'm in detention. If I want to read to the elves, I'll have to do that on my own time. But involuntary servitude will help me to build trust with them."

Harry didn't tell her that Ron had captured Winky under suspicious circumstances near the stairs where his bones had vanished. He wasn't sure he could trust Hermione to be objective about the idea of including house-elves in the list of suspects.

Hermione wasn't at dinner that evening, but Harry and Ron still escorted Susan Bones to the hospital for her shift. Luna Lovegood tagged along with them to the hospital so she could talk to Susan and Madam Pomfrey.

On their way up to Gryffindor tower they met Kingsley Shacklebolt on the stairs. Harry was glad that the ministry had sent him to investigate the crimes. He was in the Order of the Phoenix and seemed to be a very competent Auror. He made Harry describe exactly where he was standing and how the stairs were moving when the bone vanishing spell hit him.

"Where was Ron and the team when the spell hit you Harry?" Shacklebolt asked.

Harry described the positions of everyone he could recall seeing the previous night.

Shacklebolt walked with Harry and Ron to the portrait of the fat lady and let Harry go on into the Gryffindor common, but he kept Ron back for further questioning.

Harry planned on spending the next two hours working on class work, reading a bit about blood magic and practicing wandless summoning. But Shacklebolt had a lot of questions for Ron, so Harry ended up acting Prefect and patrolling the halls with Ginny Weasley. This was a bit awkward. But Harry and Ginny really did need to talk to each other.

Dean Thomas had been so jealous of Harry that Ginny had to break it off with him. Ginny wanted to know about Harry's feelings for Hermione, she was having a hard time accepting it. So Harry had to put into words how he did feel about Hermione, and Ginny and Cho and Katie and Cindy and all of the other girls who were flirting with him now.

"Hermione's been one of my best friends since our first year," Harry said. "But she's different from Ron and you. For instance, this summer I mastered wandless summoning, like Luke Skywalker."

"That's impressive," Ginny admitted, "but who's Luke Skywalker?"

"He's a fictional character, but Hermione knew what I was talking about. That's because she grew up in a Muggle family, like me," explained Harry. "Hermione is attractive and loyal and brave, but I think I'm really drawn to her because she's brilliant and sensible. She's always nagging me, like she could be my mother. It's irritating, but she cares about me."

"Hermione has been under a lot of stress lately," Ginny said. "She hasn't always acted in a brilliant and sensible way."

"I'm worried about her," Harry admitted.

"Do you like me Harry," Ginny asked abruptly. "Do you think I'm pretty?"

Harry was a bit stunned by this sudden change in the conversation.

"Well yes," Harry stammered, "You are pretty, and I do like you and you're a great flyer."

"May I kiss you?" she asked suddenly. "I mean… I accept you and Hermione… but… just once?"

Harry didn't know what to do, but he didn't want to hurt Ginny's feelings.

"Uh… OK," he said.

Ginny moved closer and kissed Harry on the lips. But at the moment they touched they both got a nasty shock like kissing an electric eel.

"Ow!" Harry exclaimed. "What was that?" he said rubbing his lips.

"Oh my God, it's true!" Ginny exclaimed.

"What did you do?" Harry asked.

"I didn't do anything!" Ginny said. "Hermione did it."

"She's in the kitchen," Harry said, forgetting for a moment that this was a secret.

"I heard rumors," Ginny said in panic. "I didn't believe them. Tell me it's not true."

"What rumors?" asked Harry.

"Sympathetic Magic," Ginny said. "Don't tell me it's true!"

"Well, yes," Harry admitted. "We did do a Sympathetic Magic spell. What's the big deal?"

"It is a big deal, Harry!" Ginny exclaimed. "Those are powerful spells! Very few married couples will attempt it. There's a price to pay for that kind of power."

"What kind of price?" Harry asked.

"Oh," Ginny said, "I've heard a lot of stuff. It's in a lot of fiction. I'm not sure what to believe. I don't want to give you wrong information. You'll find out soon enough."
Chapter 12 Luna's Scoop by king
Chapter 12 Luna's Scoop

As usual Hermione was wearing her nursing cap and cape at dinner on Thursday evening and Harry sat next to her. Colin Creevy took a photograph of them. Harry didn't think anything of it because Colin took pictures all of the time.

After dinner, it was usually time to head out to the Quidditch pitch. Harry thought they needed all of the practice they could get, but he decided to cancel practice. He wasn't bothered by a little rain or wind. But tonight there was a lot of rain and wind with lightening and a chance of hail too. That was enough to keep even Oliver Wood inside. It gave Harry a chance to corner Ron and find out what he had learned from Kingsley Shacklebolt about the investigation.

"The spell that dissolved your bones was set off by a wizard who was in the hall," Ron explained. "He needed a good line of sight, but it's impossible to tell where he stood."

"So who does he suspect," Harry asked. "Malfoy and company?"

"Malfoy's been watched since the attack on Hermione in the bathroom," Ron said.

"Another Slytherin student that follows Voldemort?" Harry asked.

"Maybe," Ron answered. "That second year Slytherin boy was probably killed by his house mates to keep him quiet. It could have been a student with an unregistered wand."

"Were there Slytherins in the entry hall when I was attacked?" Harry asked.

"There were a lot of people around," Ron answered, "he may have been on a balcony."

"Why did you go after Winky?" Harry asked.

"Mr. Filch shouted. He saw movement by a tapestry. I ran over there and she ran away. Since she was running, I chased her," Ron said. "She's been questioned. She didn't attack you, but she was following you."

"I thought the elves were following me," Harry said. "Could it have been another elf?"

"Possibly," Ron said. "Shacklebolt has a lot of suspects. Some you wouldn't think of."

"Like who?" Harry asked.

"Maybe Cho hexed you and then saved you," Ron said.

"That's crazy," Harry said. "Why would she do that?"

"To make you fall in love with her," Ron explained. "Shacklebolt even mentioned me."
"You? Why?" Harry asked.

"He said I could be jealous about Hermione," Ron answered. "Why didn't you have your Firebolt when you fell?"

"You asked me to hand it to you, so you could so show it to Jack." Harry recalled.

"I gave your Firebolt to Jack," Ron said, "and I had a perfect angle to hex you."

"You didn't hex me," Harry said.

Shacklebolt has to consider all of the possibilities," Ron explained.

"Two murders and four attempted murders," said Harry, "but how many murderers?"

"Shacklebolt thinks there are several," Ron said, "a group that doesn't use magic and one wizard that does." Ron lowered his voice, "Shacklebolt has rescheduled his Gobstones group to Fridays."

"Kingsley Shacklebolt plays Gobstones!" Harry said in disbelief.

"Those guys are serious, they play for money," Ron said. "The point is the murders were messing up his game night. The ones involving magic always happen on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning."

On Friday evening they had pizza for dinner. The house-elves at Hogwarts had never fixed pizza before. Some students were joking that they must have hired an Italian house elf. Harry was glad that Hermione was cooking and not scrubbing floors or tending thestrals.

Harry didn't see Hermione until dinner on Saturday evening. She had spent Friday night in the cupboard and worked all day Saturday scrubbing floors. After dinner he escorted her to the hospital so she could work her regular shift. Hermione was exhausted on Sunday morning when Harry and Ron escorted her back to Gryffindor tower. All she wanted to do was to get a few hours of sleep and then catch up on her class work.

"This detention consumes so much time," Hermione complained. "How did you ever keep up with your class work when Umbridge was tormenting you?"

"I had some help from a friend on weekends," Harry replied.

"It's going to be a month before we can start practicing Sympathetic Magic," she moaned.

"Are you still on about that?" Harry asked. "How are we going to do it without the book?"

"Madam Pomfrey loaned it to me," Hermione said cheerily. "She says that since we dove right in we had better learn how to swim. She's been real nice to me. I think she's a hopeless romantic."

Hermione's book bag had indeed gotten even heavier. She was stumbling tired and needed to get to her room but Harry knew he couldn't help carry her books up the stairs to the girl's dormitory. There were only the three of them in the common room and Harry didn't want to wake everybody in the tower by setting off the alarm.

"Hand me your wand, Hermione," Ron said.

"Why do want my wand?" she asked warily.

"It's for an important experiment, and it could save you some pain," Ron explained.

"As long as it's quick," she said, "I'm really very tired."

Ron handed Hermione's wand to Harry and said, "You're the levitating champion, lift her book bag to the top of the stairs."

"What if I set off the alarm!" Harry whispered.

"I'm a Prefect," Ron said. "I'll subdue you and turn you over to the teachers so they can punish you."

Harry levitated Hermione's heavy book bag to the top of the staircase. The alarm didn't go off.

"I could have done that," Hermione said, taking her wand back. "What are you two on about?"

"It's a long story," Ron said.

"I'm too tired for a long story," she said as she trudged up the stairs.

Harry and Ron exchanged a look of triumph.

Sunday afternoon Lavender Brown gave Harry a copy of the latest Witch Weekly. Harry normally didn't read that paper, but the front page was a real grabber:

Her Night of Torture for the Boy She Loves
by Luna Lovegood

Colin's photo of Harry and Hermione was beneath the headline.

The article described the attempt to murder Harry, and favorably mentioned Cho Chang for saving Harry from the fall. But it really focused on Hermione and Harry and the Sympathetic Magic. It described the pain that regrowing bones with Skelegrow causes and it described Hermione’s brave act and her night of suffering in great detail. It was worse than anything Rita Skeeter had ever written, because Luna Lovegood had the facts correct. She portrayed both Harry and Hermione positively and the story was so romantic. It was just so public!

There hadn't been a case of Virgin Sympathetic Bonding in over five hundred years.

Harry felt ill. He dreaded the fan mail that would soon begin arriving. Hermione turned pale when she saw the article. She had slept through breakfast and lunch but she still refused to go down to the great hall for dinner.

The next morning, Professor Lupin intercepted Harry and Hermione on their way to breakfast.

"Good Morning!" Lupin said cheerfully, "how are our two lovebirds this fine day?"

"Lovebirds?" Harry exclaimed.

"Famous lovebirds, I'm afraid," Lupin added. "We're expecting a lot of owls for you two in the next few days. That was quite an extraordinary article in Witch Weekly. I never would have thought that Luna Lovegood would make up lies like that about you two."

"Luna's story was factual," Hermione said flatly.

Lupin came to a sudden stop. He stared at them, and shook his head.

"Like I say, we're expecting a lot of owls,” Lupin said, "and some of them may carry more than irate letters. We've set up an office near the owlery to screen all incoming mail. You'll be able to pick up your letters there, this afternoon."

As soon as their classes were finished Harry and Hermione went up to the mailroom to get their letters. Ron went along because Hermione had to go right to the kitchen and Harry couldn't roam around the castle alone. Madam Trelawney was in the mailroom.

"Professor Lupin has screened your letters and he says that these are all safe," Madam Trelawney said.

She handed a bag of letters to Harry and a larger much heavier bag to Hermione.

"Oh this is great," Hermione said sarcastically. "I don't have time to read all of this."

"Maybe you should just read this one," Trelawney said in the mystical tone of voice she always used in Divination class. "I predict it contains important news."

She handed Hermione an envelope that looked like it came from the Ministry of Magic. It was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. H. Potter, Hogwarts School.

The letter was several pages long but Hermione fainted while reading the first page.
Harry caught her and gently lowered her to the floor. Ron picked up the letter.

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed. He was relieved to see that she was still breathing.

"Blimey!" Ron said, as he looked at the letter. "You and Hermione are now legally married!"

Ron finished the first page and handed it to Harry.

Dear Harry and Hermione Potter,

It has been reported to the Office of Records, Division of Marriages, Births and Deaths, that you two successfully performed the Sympathetic Bonding Spell last Tuesday evening. The Ministry of Magic recognizes this magical bonding as a form of legally binding marriage, similar to but distinctly different from common law marriage. As such you have certain legal obligations regarding common property and joint tax status.

Since Harry is under the legal age of consent, your relationship is temporarily classified as a binding betrothal. As in an ordinary engagement you are expected to remain faithful to one another until and after your wedding. However because of your magical bond, there are severe consequences if you should attempt to terminate your engagement.

You are admonished to follow the customs and mores of our community and to refrain from consummating your marriage until after a proper wedding.

You will find enclosed the code governing the terms of your betrothal and marriage. Please accept our apologies if some of the rules appear to be a bit old fashioned.


Congratulations and Best Wishes,
Malfalda Hopkirk
Chief Clerk, Office of Records

P.S. All of us in the office think your union is very romantic and we do hope it all works out happily for you.


Hermione began to stir, as she returned to consciousness she began to cry.

"Oh Harry, please forgive me," she begged, "I didn't know. I didn't know." She whimpered, "I didn't study enough. I didn't read the law. I just read the spells. I didn't want to trap you. I didn't know it was permanent. I just didn't want you to suffer. I love you. Please forgive me. I'm sorry. I'm sorry," she sobbed.

"Legal obligations…, common property…, joint tax status…," Ron muttered. "And you're expected to remain faithful to one another, but refrain from consummating," Ron said. "Harry, this says you have to share all of your stuff with her! You can't date other girls! And you don't get any sex! It's like a real marriage!"

The world began to close in on Harry. He was trapped. But he had been trapped before. How could he survive this? He analyzed his options.

"Hermione," Harry said gently as he embraced her. "I love you with all of my heart. I forgive you. We'll make this work out somehow."

After a while the crying stopped. There were hugs and kisses. Harry and Ron left Hermione at the entrance to a secret passage that would take her to an evening of labor with the house-elves. They took her books back to Gryffindor Tower.

"Harry, I'm amazed at the way you handled her," Ron said in awe. "You were so sweet and kind. You helped her to pull herself together. I would have been angry."

"Ron, I'm just sixteen! I'm not ready for marriage! But what were my choices? I can try to live with her in harmony or I'll be stuck with her in misery," Harry said. "I had to pretend that I wasn't angry. And I do love her! What am I going to do with her?"

"The rest of the letter from the Ministry explains the rules for your betrothal," Ron told him. "You'll have to get her a chastity belt."

"What?" Harry choked. "I'm not going to do that!"

"It's the law, Harry!" Ron said. "You have to let her out of her chastity belt at least four times a day so she may seek the comfort of a chamber pot. If you don't get her a chastity belt, you won't be able to let her out of it four times a day!"

"What else do the rules say?" Harry asked in resignation.

"You can always beat her with a stick," Ron said gleefully.

"I'm not going to beat Hermione with a stick!" Harry said emphatically.

"But Harry! The rules say it would be cruel to beat a fair maiden with a whip. If the maiden must be beaten, use instead a wooden rod that is no thicker than the maiden's right thumb, or her left thumb if her right thumb is missing," Ron explained.

"When were these rules written?" Harry asked.

"They were completely revised and updated in 1403," Ron said smiling.

Then Ron turned serious, "You can get a magical divorce. It's an easy process."

"How does it work?" Harry asked.

"You and Hermione exchange wands, and then you break them," Ron said. "There's no paper work," he added solemnly, "the Ministry of Magic doesn't care about Muggles."

Dinner that evening tried Harry's patience. Hermione was in detention.

"Hey Harry, where's your wife?"

"We're just legally betrothed."

"Hi Harry, are you lonely tonight?"

"No."

One would think that the story of what happened to Ginny when she kissed Harry would discourage other girls from trying to kiss him. In fact a rumor began that if a girl really excited Harry, she would get a stronger shock. An amazing number of girls had to find out if this was true. Harry wished that Hermione could be there to keep them away.

But the worst part of dinner that evening was the talk with Cho. Harry hated to see her crying like that.

As mid-October approached and the days grew noticeably shorter, Quidditch practice had to be moved to before dinner. This meant that Harry and the team arrived in the great hall just a few minutes before they cleared away the uneaten food. Harry waved at Hermione as the Hufflepuff boys escorted her and Susan to the hospital. At least tonight when he was asked "Where's your wife, Harry?" he could say Hermione was working in the hospital rather than having to say that she was in detention.

A short time later Harry found himself standing at attention in a row of students in the Gryffindor common room.

"Our mission is to find Tuesday Night," Ron said seriously, "that's the code name we've given to the wizard that murdered Mr. Fudge and attempted to murder Hermione, Professor McGonagall and Harry. If you think you've found him or feel you are in danger, set off a spell, any spell. The alarm will sound and teachers will come."

"Dennis and Joe, what is your mission?" Ron asked.

"To go to the hospital and stay with Hermione, SIR!," said Dennis saluting.

"Good," Ron said, "you'll need to come up with some excuse."

"Harry's patrolling with me," Ron continued. "Colin, you're with Andrew and Jack, watch yourselves, Tuesday Night is deadly. Parvati, you're with Lavender, be careful don't take unnecessary risks. Ginny, you're with…"

"Neville," she said.

"Longbottom, my sister gets a ring before you start snogging her, get it."

"Huh?" said Neville.

"Where do we go first, fearless leader?" Harry asked Ron.

"We're going to follow Dennis and Joe to make sure they get to the hospital," Ron answered.

A short while later Harry and Ron watched the two third year boys in the hall near the hospital.

"OW! You lousy son of a bitch!" Joe exclaimed. "You broke my nose!"

"Tell Hermione that you ran into a door frame," Dennis said. "Complain about the pain until she agrees to let you stay in the hospital overnight."

"You broke my nose, you bastard!" Joe whined.

"You knew this patrol was dangerous," Dennis said.

"I thought Tuesday Night was the dangerous person," Joe complained.

"Keep on story. You ran into a door frame," Dennis instructed.

Dennis knocked on the hospital door.

Joe gave Dennis a vicious knee to the groin.

"What happened to you two!" Hermione exclaimed as she opened the hospital door.

"Dennis slid down a banister and racked himself on the knobby thing at the bottom," Joe explained.

"OOHH!" Dennis moaned.

"I was watching him and I ran into a door frame," Joe finished.

"Oh, you poor boys!" Hermione said sweetly. "Are you in pain Dennis?"

"OOHH!" he moaned.

"Looks like they're doing alright," Ron whispered to Harry.

Ron had reluctantly agreed to end the "Tuesday Night" patrols at midnight because they did all have classes in the morning. Harry and Ron saw nothing suspicious all evening and made their way back towards Gryffindor tower as midnight approached. As they walked towards the portrait of the fat lady, they heard voices from a side corridor.

"Mr. Filch!" Neville exclaimed.

"What!" Filch shouted as he jumped out of the dark corner where he was lurking.

Harry and Ron hurried to the spot where Ginny and Neville had surprised Mr. Filch.

"What are you kids doing out of your dormitory at midnight?" Filch barked.

"We're Prefects and we're on security patrol," Ron answered.

"We're looking for the murderer," Neville said.

"You're looking for trouble," Filch growled.

"All of the murders that involve magic have taken place on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning," Ron said. "It's not safe for you to be out of your office alone."

Filch gave them a dirty look and shuffled down the corridor.

Shortly before dawn Harry and Ron were awakened by the rooster so they could escort Hermione back from the hospital.

"I'm exhausted," Hermione complained. "Usually I can take a couple of short naps during the night, but not with Dennis and Joe fighting. I wanted to petrify both of them," she said angrily. "I'm going to sleep every minute possible before Potions class. Were there any murders last night?"

"No," said Ron yawning, "we didn't catch the murderer last night, but we'll try again."

The following Sunday was a beautiful day but Harry spent the morning studying while Hermione slept. They had to write a paper about the theory of animal transfigurations for Professor McGonagall and it required a lot of research. At noon Harry asked Lavender to wake up Hermione for lunch.

"It's a beautiful afternoon, but this good weather won't last," Harry observed. "Hermione, we're going flying this afternoon, you need the practice."

"Oh Harry, I just can't," she said. "I've got a ton of class work to do, and I was hoping we could spend a few minutes together practicing Sympathetic Magic spells."

"You can study after flying," Harry said. "I'll let you use my notes."

"Come on Hermione," Ron joined in, "we've got permission from Madam Hooch to try some speed runs on the two mile course. Harry's got a Firebolt! We want to break the school record."

"No, I can't do it," Hermione protested.

"Luna Lovegood's going out with us," Ron announced. "Who will Harry fly with?"

"Maybe Cho's not busy," Harry suggested.

"Alright, Alright, I'll do it," Hermione said reluctantly, "as long as it's not too fast."

The two mile course was defined by a flag pole in the practice field near the Quidditch pitch and a second flag pole exactly one mile away on the boat dock in Hogsmead Park on the other side of the lake. The course was almost entirely over open water.

"She's not going as fast as Luna," Ron observed. "That's odd because she's got a better broom."

"She doesn't like to fly," Harry said dryly. "I think she's picking up speed on the way back. What was my speed?"

"One hundred and fifty three miles per hour," Ron answered, "The school record is one hundred and seventy six."

Hermione passed the flag pole.

"What was her speed?" Harry asked.

"Seventy."

Harry walked over to Hermione, who was on her hands and knees.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I am kissing the ground you walk on Harry Potter," she answered shakily, "the nice firm ground."

"Your speed on the way back was pretty good but you were slow on the way out," Harry said. "You need to really mean it when you put the Velocito charm on your broom. And you've got to decelerate hard before your turn. I'll show you again."

"Velocito,” Harry chanted as he tapped his Firebolt with his wand. “Are you ready Ron?"

At Ron's signal, Harry shot across the lake. He waited until the last possible second before braking hard. He turned sharply around the pole at the boat dock, and zoomed back across the lake. About two hundred yards from shore he passed Hermione who was hovering on her broom over the water. He shot past the marker pole at maximum speed.

"What was my speed?" he asked Ron.

"One hundred and fifty seven."

"What was Hermione doing out over the lake?" Harry asked.

"She was worried that you might fall off your broom," Luna said. "She said you don't swim."

Harry and Ron looked at each other and shook their heads. Then Harry tapped his Firebolt with his wand and chanted "Velocito" as Hermione returned to the practice field.

"Hermione, I want you to go all out this time, as fast as you can," Harry said smiling.

"Alright Harry, I'll do my best," Hermione said nervously as she mounted her broom.

"Use the Firebolt," Harry said.

Hermione's face turned a bit pale. Harry gave her a quick kiss and exchanged brooms.

Reluctantly she mounted the Firebolt and shot out across the lake, much faster than her first run.

“She’s going faster,” Ron observed.

“She ought to, she’s on a Firebolt,” Harry said. “What’s her time at the half?”

Harry looked down at the stopwatch. He heard a gasp from Luna. Hermione was a speck at the other end of the lake. Her turn looked a little sloppy, that would cost her time.

"She's not going as fast as you did," Ron observed.

"I figured she'd loose time in the turn," Harry said analytically. "But she should go faster than me in the straight, she weighs less."

"You're thinking like a Muggle," Ron said. "It's not the weight or the wind resistance or even if you're climbing or diving, it's all about magic."

"What was her speed?" Harry asked, as Hermione passed the finishing pole.

"One hundred and twenty four," Ron answered, "she lost several seconds in the turn."

Harry helped Hermione to her feet. Her face was white and she was shaking.

"Did I do alright, Harry?" she pleaded. "Was I fast enough?"

"You did pretty good. But I think you can do better," Harry said. "Your turn needs to be tighter and you have to concentrate on speed in the straight. I want you to try again."

“I almost fell off my broom in that turn!” she said loudly.

“That means you’re pushing the edge and that’s good. We only have to work on your technique,” Harry said.

“I’m pushing the edge, and that’s good! Did you think I wasn’t really trying?” she shouted. "I don't want to break any records! I just want to fly with you. Have you no sympathy!"

She was trembling and looked like she might cry, or punch him.

"I have sympathy," Harry said, giving her a hug, "I have sympathy…"

"We'll fly together this time!" Harry said holding an arm around her shoulders. "We'll both charm the broom!"

"What are you talking about?" Hermione asked in dread.

"You said Sympathetic Magic could increase the power of ordinary spells! You said we should practice Sympathetic Magic today!" Harry explained enthusiastically.

"You want to use Sympathetic Magic to make a broom go faster?" she said doubtfully.

"Yes!" he said happily, "How do we do it?"

"We have to hold hands or at least be touching each other. We cross our wands and simultaneously chant Conamorae. Next we do the Velocito charm on the broom together," she explained. "But Harry, if it works, the broom will go faster," she said fearfully.

"We'll ride together. Let's do it!" he said.

Harry followed Hermione's directions and they simultaneously cast the Speed Charm on the Firebolt. They mounted the broom, Hermione in front. They leaned down together as low as they could, until Hermione was lying on the broom.

"We're like spoons in a drawer," Harry commented. "When we're on the straight, keep thinking about speed, faster, faster, faster," Harry directed. "I'll shout when it's time to start breaking for the turn."

They shot across the lake, skidded around the turn and zoomed back to the finishing pole.

"One hundred and sixty eight!" Ron shouted, "That's your best time yet!"

"Was that good Harry?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"It was excellent," said Harry.

"Just nine miles per hour faster and you'll break the school record!" Ron said. "Your turn looked a little sloppy, I think you can do better."

"We need to do a good sliding turn," Harry said.

"Didn't we slide that time," Hermione asked nervously.

"Yes, but this time we want to do it right," Harry said. "We'll be flying backwards for a few seconds. I'll need eyes looking back."

Harry thought for a few seconds.

"You're doing a good job of laying low on the broom." Harry told Hermione. "Can you stick your head down and look behind us?"

Hermione did as Harry instructed.

"Can you see the pole directly behind us?" Harry asked.

"Yes but it's all upside down," Hermione said.

"Let's back around the pole, slowly this time. You steer," Harry ordered.

"I'm supposed to steer while looking backwards and upside down!" she exclaimed.

"Yes," Harry confirmed. "It's dangerous for me to turn around at high speed."

"You want me to steer while looking backwards and upside down at high speed!"

"Yes, we want to rotate one hundred and eighty degrees before we reach the mile pole and slow to a stop just barely past it. We have to go around it, so you have to steer us close to it but don't hit it," Harry explained.

"But Harry!" Hermione protested, "I'd have to open my eyes to do that!"

Harry gave his Firebolt to Ron while he and Hermione practiced the sliding turn on her Cleansweep. They spent the next twenty minutes practicing the sliding turn around the finishing pole until Harry thought they should try another speed run. Harry saw that Ron was holding Luna’s broom. Luna was coming in fast.

“One hundred and forty two!” Ron exclaimed. “She beat my time,” he added quietly.

In a few minutes Harry and Hermione made their second attempt together on the Firebolt.

"One hundred and seventy five!" Ron shouted after their second run together.

On their third run together Harry and Hermione broke the Hogwarts record for the two mile run with an average speed of one hundred and eighty miles per hour. They were going well over two hundred miles per hour when they passed the finishing pole.

On their fourth run they averaged one hundred and eighty five miles per hour.

On their fifth run they broke the British record with a speed of one hundred and ninety two.

Harry wanted to break the world record and go for the elusive two hundred miles an hour mark but Hermione begged him to stop. Her arms and legs were fatigued from clutching the broom so tightly. She had a headache from the inverted reverse steering in the sliding turns. And she wanted to study a few hours before another week of detentions and hospital duties began. Harry relented and gave her a big hug and a kiss.

"I'm proud of you Hermione," Harry said as they walked back to the castle. "You don't much like flying, but together we flew the two mile run faster than anyone in Britain. I'm beginning to see your point about Sympathetic Magic."

"It was an amazing achievement," Hermione said quietly, "but we can't tell anyone."

"What!" Ron exclaimed in disbelief. "We can't tell anyone that you broke the British record?"

"What are you thinking Hermione," Luna asked in her usual dreamy tone.

"Luna, we're at war with Lord Voldemort and his followers," Hermione explained. "That prophecy in the Department of Mysteries said that Harry has to fight Lord Voldemort. Harry has to develop some power that Lord Voldemort knows nothing about or he'll be killed. Please, for Harry's sake, for the war effort, today's achievement must remain a military secret."

"I'll keep quiet about it, if Harry and Ron can, on one condition," Luna said.

"What's your condition?" Hermione asked.

"When Harry wins, I get an exclusive interview with all three of you, and you won't tell your full story to anyone else until I can get my book out," Luna said.

"Alright Luna," Hermione said. "You're in the group. There may be other secrets you'll have to keep until the end of the war. But you'll get your book material."

"It's a good deal for me," Luna said. "Neither Witch Weekly nor the Quibbler publishes sports stories. And I don't write for the Daily Prophet.
Chapter 13 The Halloween Ball at Old George's Place by king
Chapter 13 The Halloween Ball at Old George's Place

"Hermione," Harry began as they sat down for breakfast on Tuesday. "I have a question about the Sympathetic Bonding spell. Have you learned more about it?"

"I've been able to read part of the book by Amours and Lovelynn, but not all of it," she said. "Madam Pomfrey encouraged me to learn more since we've already taken the plunge, but I'm spending so much time in detention," she complained. It's hard to keep up with regular class work and Nursing class and Professor McGonagall wants to start animal transfigurations and I need to spend time working on house-elf rights issues instead of just cleaning pots…"

"Some girls tried to kiss me," Harry interrupted.

"You're supposed to be betrothed to me," Hermione stated bluntly.

"Yeah, well “" Harry waffled. "I didn't ask them to kiss me."

"I know," she sighed. "You're the Boy Who Lived and the Triwizard Tournament Champion. You survived the duel in the graveyard with Lord Voldemort himself. And you're so brave and so cute and the Quidditch captain too. I know why they flirt with you," she sighed again.

“You left out that I’m The Love King,” Harry added.

“I also left out that nice girls have a way of falling for jerks,” she said.

“It’s a good thing that didn’t happen to you,” Harry shot back.

"What happens when they kiss you?" she snapped.

"There's an electric shock," Harry said.

"I think that's to be expected," Hermione explained. "We're magically bonded, legally married. It's a defense mechanism."

"Are you doing it?" Harry asked.

"Is it a real nasty shock that knocks the girl on her ass?" Hermione asked testily.

"No, just a little poke," Harry replied.

"It's caused by your own guilty conscious," Hermione said sharply. "If I was responsible it would be a real bolt of lightening. Apparently you don't feel too
bad
about them kissing you."

"Ginny said you were responsible for the shocks," Harry said.

There's a lot of nonsense about Sympathetic Magic in trashy romance novels that witches like to read," Hermione explained. "I'll bet Mrs. Weasley has a few. I didn't know anything about Sympathetic Magic until we started doing spell research together. But what I do know comes from a reference book and not from some fiction."

"So what happens when some other boy kisses you?" Harry asked.

"I don't know!" she said indignantly. "I don't want other boys to kiss me. I just want you, Harry."

"I guess I'm stuck with you," Harry concluded.

"I'm sorry," she said mournfully.

"I didn't say it was bad," Harry added. “If I'm going to be stuck with one girl, it might as well be you."

"Oh, you are so romantic," Hermione said sarcastically.

"Let's go flying together on Sunday," Harry suggested. "I want to try some high powered aerobatics with you on the broom with me."

"You mean loops and rolls and stuff that will make me sick?" Hermione exclaimed. "I'm still in detention! I need Sunday to catch up on class work!"

"Mrs. Harry Potter has to be a good flyer," Harry stated bluntly. "Anyway I like holding you tight," he said with a grin.

“I think you like squeezing me,” she said.

At lunch, Dumbledore made a special announcement.

"Students, as you know, Mr. Cornelius Fudge our defense against the dark arts instructor was brutally murdered last month. The assassination of Mr. Fudge, who was our former Minister of Magic, has drawn international attention. For the next few days we will have special guests visiting us. The Americans have arrived. It is their intention to assist us in our endeavors to increase the safety and security of our school and to help us find a new permanent instructor for the defense against the dark arts. I will now turn the floor over to Mr. Charles Shrub, who is the Chairman of the Department of Illusion which is formal name for the American government."

"Howdy kids," began Chairman Shrub in an exaggerated Texas accent. "You foreign students don't need to worry no more, cause the Americans are here to solve the problem. For a few days we'll be studyin' your school. We'll develop a road map to security. We'll identify yore needs and appoint an American to be yore Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. We'll begin the process of cleanin' the terrorists out of this castle. And we will present convincing evidence that the true organizers of terrorism are the Ministers of the French government, and that regime change in that country is essential."

"Now I'll introduce my staff," he drawled. "Mr. Pritchard Rainy is the Vice Chairman of the Department of Illusion. If you have any questions, suggestions or information about the identity of terrorists in yore school, submit them to Mr. Rainy in writing. Do not ask me to answer yore questions. Miss Convolusia Corn is our Dark Arts Security Advisor. She'll say whatever we tell her to say. And the short witch in the military uniform is Private Scott, she'll be helpin' us interrogate terrorists."

"I'm sure you awl are wonderin' whut us Americans can do to solve this problem," Chairman Shrub continued. "Well we've brought a deck of cards and Dubyaloons."

"What's a Doubleyoon?" Ron whispered.

"I think he means Doubloon," Hermione answered quietly. "It's American money."

"Now these cards have got pictures of bad wizards on 'em," Mr. Shrub droned on. "Here's the Jack of Spades, it's Lucius Malfoy. You can get two hundred Dubyaloons for turnin' him in. Here's the Queen of Diamonds, Dolores Umbridge, she's worth one hundred Dubyaloons. The Queen of Spades, Bellatrix Lestrange, is worth three hundred Dubyaloons. This deck ain't complete yet. We've only got two queens. You awl just tell Mr. Rainy the names of other terrorists and we'll add 'em to the deck."

For the rest of the afternoon the American delegation wandered around Hogwarts disrupting classes and asking pointless questions like: "Don't Voldemort sound like a French name to you?" No one approached them except Pansy Parkinson, who slipped a note to Mr. Rainy.

Harry and the Quidditch team arrived in the Great Hall just before they stopped serving dinner that evening. He had barely reached the table when there was a loud crack of lightening and Hermione flew halfway to the Ravenclaw table and landed hard on her backside.

"Hermione!" Harry shouted as he ran over to her. "Are you alright?"

"Oohh," she moaned. "Ow… That hurt."

"What happened?" Harry asked, holding her.

"Dennis…" she said, "is he alright? The little twerp kissed me."

"Dennis!" Colin shouted. "He's not breathing!"

Fortunately Madam Pomfrey and Susan Bones were right there.

"Was that a result of your guilty conscious?" Harry asked Hermione.

"No! That was just a defensive response," she protested."

"I'm not that jealous, maybe you should try to relax a little bit," Harry said as he helped Hermione to the hospital.

"Maybe Hermione does have a guilty conscious," Ron suggested as they walked to the hospital. "Would you like me to fetch a stick for you Harry?" Ron asked as he examined Hermione's thumb.

Hermione glared at Ron in silence.

The start of the Tuesday Night patrols was delayed until nine o'clock, so the students could study a couple of hours and Ron ended the patrols at eleven. They didn't see a sign of Tuesday Night, but they kept running into the Americans who were roaming around the castle making noise.

The following morning the bleary eyed Harry and Ron trudged to the hospital to escort Hermione back to Gryffindor tower. Once again they ran into the Americans.

"That's a nice badge you've got there!" Mr. Shrub said to Ron. Then he turned to Harry, "Miss Corn tells me you're Harry Potter, and that you're one of the good guys. Do you boys want a chance to earn some Dubyaloons?" he asked them. "I'll deputize you and you can help us round up a terrorist suspect."

"We'd love to help you, Mr. Shrub," Harry said, "but we have to go to the hospital to pick up Hermione."

"Why you boys really are on the ball!" said Mr. Shrub. "That's who we're goin' to arrest, Hermione Granger."

"Hermione's no terrorist!" Harry said. "They've tried to murder her four times."

"Course she is," said Shrub, "look, we've put her picture on a card."

He showed Harry the Queen of Hearts.

"Where did you get the idea that Hermione is a terrorist?" Ron asked.

"A student informed on her," Shrub said proudly. "There's nothin' like Dubyaloons to loosin' up tongues. But there's lots of evidence. She's a trouble maker, lost a pile of house points. She's been in detention a whole lot. She hit a teacher. And she pert near killed that boy last night. She must be a terrorist. Has she ever been to France?"

"I think she was there about four years ago," Ron said, "but…"

"I knew the French were behind it all the time," concluded Mr. Shrub.

They met Hermione at the hospital door and Mr. Shrub conjured ropes to tie her up.

"Harry!" she cried, "what's this about?"

"Yore under arrest little lady," said Mr. Shrub. "Yore daze as a terrorist are over!"

"Mr. Shrub I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding," Harry said. "We should go to Professor Dumbledore."

"Why that's egg sackly what we're doin', Harry," said Mr. Shrub. "We're here to help you foreigners. We can tell Professor Dumbledore the right way to deal with terrorists."

"Don't worry Hermione," Harry said to her quietly, "this is all a mistake. We'll work things out when we get to Dumbledore's office."

"I hope this doesn't take too long," Hermione said, "I'm very tired and I want to get a little sleep before potions class. Dennis talked all night about what a knockout kisser I am, once we got his heart started again. And I didn't kiss him, he kissed me!"

"Well missy," Shrub said, "the sooner you confess, the sooner you can settle down in yore prison cell. Now just follow Pritchard, he's the real leader here."

"I'm not going to confess," Hermione said indignantly. "I've done nothing wrong."

"Yore a terrorist. You've been helpin' that French fellow Voldemort," Shrub said.
"And you'll confess. I've got a legal opinion from my attorney general that says it's OK to torture terrorists 'cause foreigners haven't got human rights."

"This is ridiculous," Hermione said. "Harry, Ron are you going to let them arrest me? This idiot is talking about torturing me!"

"Mr. Shrub, you can't torture Hermione," Harry said. "We're the good guys."

"Don't you worry about that Harry," Shrub said cheerfully. "Private Scott will actually do the torturing and if there's a congressional investigation, we'll blame it all on her."

"Hermione, you shouldn't call the American Minister of Magic an idiot," Ron said. "He's deputized us. We're going to get some Doubleyoons for arresting you." He grinned like it was a great joke.

"You're selling me out for money!" Hermione said furiously. "And just how much are you getting?"

"That's a good question," said Ron. "What's the reward for bringing in this terrorist?"

"This little lady's worth one hundred and fifty Dubyaloons," said Shrub. "Hey Pritchard are we cuttin' these boys in for a full share each?"

"Yes Mr. Chairman," answered Mr. Rainy. "It'll make you look generous."

"Private Scott is military, so the rest of us divide the reward five ways," Shrub said.

"Thirty Doubloons each?" Hermione complained, "That's about four Galleons and three Sickles! I'm worth more than that! Don't you think so Harry?"

"I think this is all getting silly," Harry said. "You're no terrorist. There'll be no reward. Dumbledore won't let them hurt you. I won’t let…"

He stopped abruptly.

"What's wrong with Mr. Rainy and Miss Corn?" Harry asked.

They were in the corridor near the entrance to Dumbledore's office. There was a mist hanging in the air. Ghostly hands had condensed around the throats of Mr. Rainy and Miss Corn. They were being strangled.

"Pritchard!" Shrub shouted, as he ran into the mist. Private Scott followed him.

Soon all four Americans were being strangled by ghostly hands. Harry moved forward.

"No Harry! Don't! It's Garroting Gas!" Hermione cried.

"They're dying! I'll hold my breath," Harry said.

"No! That won't work!" she shouted. "Garroting gas is magical. It's not poisonous. It'll kill you even if you don't inhale it!"

"What do we do?" Harry asked frantically.

"It’s too late for the Americans! You've got to warn Dumbledore to stay in his office!" Hermione said.

"Right," Harry said. "I'll need my broom. I can fly to his office window."

He ran to a window and pulled out his wand.

"No Harry!" Ron shouted. "If you set off a spell the alarm will sound and Dumbledore will come out! Use Hermione's wand!"

"Right," said Harry as he dashed over to Hermione.

"Oh! Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione shrieked.

"I'm looking for your wand," Harry said.

"Oh!… My… It's not there either," she said.

"It's not on your back. It's not on your thigh. Where is it?" Harry asked frantically.

"Left forearm," Hermione said in an exasperated tone.

"That's not much fun." Harry said as he took her wand from her sleeve.

Harry summoned his Firebolt from Gryffindor Tower. Then he gave Hermione's wand to Ron, mounted his broom and flew out the window. He circled the tower and tapped frantically on Dumbledore's office window.

"Good morning Harry," said Dumbledore as he opened the glass. "Did you forget the password to my office?"

"Professor Dumbledore, someone put Garroting Gas in the corridor by your door!" Harry shouted. "The Americans walked into the mist. It's strangling all of them!"

"This is terrible!" said Dumbledore. "I'll have Professor Snape prepare some antigarroting gas. You must block the corridor and let no one approach my office."

Dumbledore grabbed Fawkes and flew out the window towards Professor Snape's quarters. Harry flew back to Ron and Hermione.

Ron stayed near Dumbledore's office to stop anyone from entering the mist, while Harry took Hermione back to Gryffindor Tower.

"That was awful," Harry said. "Tuesday Night tried to kill Dumbledore with the Garroting Gas, but murdered the Americans by mistake! This could cause serious international problems."

"It was horrible," Hermione agreed. "I actually felt sorry for the Americans. It'll take Professor Snape hours to prepare antigarroting gas, so there'll be no potions class this morning," Hermione reasoned. "That means I can sleep more!" she said brightly. "And I'll be able to see the thestrals now!"

After the unfortunate deaths of the American politicians, all classes were canceled for the entire day. Students were confined to their dormitories while the castle was searched once again.

Harry spent the morning studying. For a while he was alone in his room and able to practice wandless summoning. He even read a few pages that Dumbledore had marked in the book about Human Sacrificial Rites. Harry couldn't understand why anyone would want to do the things that the book described. Had Tom Riddle done this? Why summon a cold, heartless viper-like creature from another realm? Why was this important? It was depressing.

The students were allowed to go to the Great Hall for lunch, but only one house at a time. Gryffindor was the last house to get lunch and everyone was hungry and grouchy by the time their turn came. Harry saw that Hagrid was getting his lunch so he went over to his giant friend.

"Hi Hagrid," Harry said. "Did you find anything?"

"Nothin' important," Hagrid replied, "but ol' Filchy found a trap."

"What sort of trap?" Harry asked.

"Twas an enchanted door," Hagrid answered. "It flew open in 'is face."

"Was Filch injured?"

"'e would've been knocked down the stairs if I 'adn't been right behind 'im," Hagrid said. "Ol' Filchy almost knocked me down the stairs. I 'ad to take 'im to Madam Pomfrey."

"Is he alright now?"

"Oh yeah, 'e's fine," Hagrid said. "e's off to town to fetch groceries now."

Later that afternoon Professor McGonagall took Harry, Hermione and Ron to a classroom where they were given Veritas serum and questioned by Dumbledore, Kingsley Shacklebolt and two Americans.

"Have you ever seen this bottle?" Shacklebolt asked, as he held up an ominous looking blue bottle that was clad with metal and had an unusual stopper.

"No," they all answered.

“How did you know the mist was Garroting Gas?” they asked Hermione.

“I had read about it in a book,” she replied.

It took more than an hour of questions but finally the Americans were convinced that Harry and his friends were not working with the murderer. As they left, the Americans and Shacklebolt got into an argument about the penetration of the British Ministry of Magic by Death Eaters. Someone had stolen that bottle of Garroting Gas from the Ministry.

Amos Diggory was very embarrassed by the deaths of the American leaders. He had been the one who had suggested that they could be helpful at Hogwarts. He did this in order to get them to leave London.

Fortunately the Americans had no real desire to start a war with the British. They just turned over the management of their government to a private consulting firm that was owned by Halibut and Endrunn Inc. a corporation that made enchanted items for their military. The cry for war with France faded away when it became possible for the corporation to take money from the American treasury without the need to hide it in inflated contracts for brooms, wands, potions and talismans. In subsequent elections voting was limited to Halibut and Endrunn shareholders. This eliminated the need to falsify vote counts in Rustyville and South Salem. A famous Quidditch player had been arrested for molesting young witches and the season was about to start so no one cared about politics anyway.

As the full moon of late October approached, Professor Lupin had to leave again. Kingsley Shacklebolt agreed to take over as substitute teacher for Defense Against the Dark Arts. He thought he might as well stay at Hogwarts because he was tired of traveling back and forth between London and Hogwarts every time there was a murder.

Soon it was time for the annual Halloween Ball. Ron's date was Luna Lovegood. He thought it was a good idea to keep an eye on the articles she was submitting to Witch Weekly and The Quibbler. Ginny went with Neville Longbottom. Harry didn't have a date, since it was Friday night and Hermione was still in detention. Cho was alone too.

"Who's this fellow that's late for a date with you Cho?" Harry asked.

"He's like you and Cedric," Cho said. "He's brave, a school champion and a seeker."

"Victor Krum is coming?" Harry guessed.

"Right!" Cho said. "We met at the Quidditch game during YWWMC. I think he could have caught the snitch faster than he did, but he let the game go on a bit so we could spend more time flying together."

Harry wandered around the Ball, visiting with his friends and listening to the music. Most of the girls were tired of getting electric shocks and had stopped trying to kiss him. He chatted with Victor Krum for a few minutes. He watched Ron and Luna try to dance. He soon became bored. Before the Ball was half over, he quietly slipped out and made his way down to the kitchen.

The moment he entered the kitchen he dashed about half of the way to Hermione with his right hand held out.

"Accio Hermione's wand," he said, summoning the wand from the scabbard she was wearing on her thigh. "Colloportus," he said aiming her wand at the kitchen door.

"What was that about?" Hermione asked, while dozens of house-elves stared at him.

"Dennis and his gang were following me," Harry said as he took off his dress robes and laid them over a chair. "I thought you might want some help with the dishes," he said staring at her and rolling up his sleeves.

"I won't say no to that!" she said smiling.

Harry joined her at the sink.

"How does a wizard like Harry Potter know how to wash dishes?" an elf asked.

"My Aunt Petunia taught me how to wash dishes, she's a Muggle," Harry said.

"You are as strange as Miss Hermione," said the elf, "nice, helpful, very strange."

They worked quietly, occasionally smiling at each other.

The music filtered down from the hall above.

Together they finished the stack quickly.

"We've got a few minutes before the next stack arrives," Hermione observed. "Shall we dance?"

Harry smiled at Hermione. She looked so cute in her tea towels.

"You know I can't dance," he said.

"This one's easy. They're doing the slow dance," she said. "Just hold me tight, look into my eyes and sway with the music," she instructed him.

They began dancing slowly in the kitchen.

The elves quietly looked on.

Harry felt very happy.

Then his stupid scar began to hurt.

He ignored it.

It got worse.

He leaned his head against Hermione's.

That seemed to help.

"Your scar is hurting," Hermione said.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"I can feel it," she said.

"I love you," he said.

"And I love you too," she said.

They kept dancing.

His scar began to burn terribly.

He held her more tightly.

The pain was so bad he had to close his eyes.

"Conamorae," he said.

"Conamorae," she repeated.

"I wish he'd leave us alone," he said.

Suddenly the pain went away.

He looked into her eyes. There were tears on her cheeks, but she smiled in relief.

They danced until the music stopped.

Then they finished the dishes.

Harry kissed her goodnight and she walked to the pantry where her cupboard was.

Harry put his fancy robes back on and left the kitchen. Dennis and his gang were waiting near the painting of the fruit bowl. They escorted him to Gryffindor Tower.

A hundred of miles away, Peter Pettigrew nervously cleaned up a pile of vomit.

"Is my Lord feeling better?" he asked fearfully.

"Who fixed my dinner tonight, Wormtail?" Lord Voldemort asked coldly.

"Lucius served you tonight, my Lord," Pettigrew said trembling.

"Summon him," the Dark Lord commanded.

Lucius Malfoy was severely tortured that night.

Malfoy never understood why.

Harry didn't feel a thing.
Chapter 14 The Suicide Clause by king
Chapter 14 The Suicide Clause

The first day of November dawned cold and rainy. Harry stared out his bedroom window at the miserable weather. Hedwig landed on his shoulder but perched for only a few seconds before flying to the top of his dresser. The owl didn’t sit there very long either. In less than a minute she flew to the top of Harry’s bed and began walking along the rail that held the curtains.

“You’re restless. Do you feel trapped girl?” he asked his owl. “Aren’t we all.”

The opening game of the Quidditch season, Gryffindor vs. Slytherin, was just two weeks away but Harry was not looking forwards to practice. It would be his job to push the team out into the cold rain.

He could think of something he would rather do. He could sneak down to the kitchen under the cover of his invisibility cloak, grab Hermione and go hide in some corner for the rest of the day. She was his wife! He couldn’t quite believe it. His poor stressed out little wife, he hadn’t even taken her to Madam Puddifoot’s for a cup of hot chocolate and here they were legally married. She was the smartest girl in Hogwarts and today she was barefoot and in the kitchen. She was still in the Nursing program but was serving twenty hours a week in detention. She was being punished because she broke the rules. She broke the rules because she loved him. That added up to being punished because she loved him. What was he going to do with her? At least she was popular with the house-elves now and as long as she was surrounded by a hundred of them she probably wouldn’t be attacked by a crazed murderer. Running away looked better every day.

But Harry had to get the Quidditch team whipped into shape for the match against Slytherin. He didn’t want anyone getting injured or sick from practicing in the rain. But on the other hand, Hermione would be working in the hospital this evening. If anyone got sick he would have an excuse to visit the hospital.

A half of an hour later, he pushed away the uneaten bites of his breakfast and summoned the team over.

"It's cold and rainy, but the opening match against Slytherin is two weeks from today," Harry said, "what would Oliver Wood do?"

Katie Bell was the only team member besides Harry who had played when Oliver was captain, so the rest of the team looked at her.

"Oliver would make us practice in a hurricane," Katie said, "but you're not that kind of person Harry."

"The weather's bad today," Harry admitted, "but we need to practice if we want to win. And I want to win by a wide margin."

"If we win by a wide margin it could help make up some of the house points a certain person's girlfriend lost," snickered Jack Sloper.

"I wouldn't mind talking strategy with Katie and Ginny for a while," Seamus volunteered. "Maybe the rain will let up."

"Alright," Harry relented, "chalk talk until the rain slacks up a bit."

In an hour there was less rain, so Harry pushed them out onto the pitch. There is only so much Quidditch that can be learned from theoretical discussions. Soon they were all cold and wet, but they practiced on. Harry earned some nicknames that weren’t as nice as “Dragon Killer”, like: “Hurricane Harry” and “Harry the Horrible” and “Heartless Harry.”

Ginny and Katie told Hermione all about the rainy Quidditch practice at dinner and Harry had to endure a lecture about the link between physical stress and a lower resistance to infectious diseases.

“What’s more important, Quidditch or your friends’ health?” Hermione asked gruffly.

“You just don’t understand Quidditch,” Ron chimed in. Then he sneezed and ruined the point he was trying to make.

“You’re beautiful when you’re angry,” Harry said. “Tell me more about the little germs and the mucosal epithelial thingy.”

It rained all day on Sunday so there was nothing to do but study, which was all that Hermione seemed to want to do. She was all tense about special nursing exams and some project.

On Monday morning there was an announcement on the bulletin board that said a supervised classroom would be available in the evenings for practicing magic. This was popular because a lot of the students had been complaining that the alarm system on their wands kept them from practicing for their class work. On Monday evenings Professor Flitwick was assigned to watch the practice room. On Wednesday Professor Snape took over. On Thursday it was Professor Sprout's turn to supervise the students and on Fridays it was Professor McGonagall. Harry noticed that the practice room was closed on Tuesday evening.

That evening Harry and Ron escorted Susan Bones to the hospital, following the schedule that Hermione had devised when the days were longer and Quidditch practice followed supper.

"How long is Hermione going to be in detention every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening?" Susan asked. "We need to spend more time studying for nursing."

"Tonight's her last night," said Harry. "She's served her four weeks because she also spent Saturday mornings and afternoons in detention."

"No wonder she's been so stressed out," Susan said. "She looked like she might cry during Nursing class this evening but she wouldn't say why."

At ten o'clock Harry and Ron met Hermione at the entrance to the secret passage that she used to get to the kitchen and escorted her back to Gryffindor tower.

"Susan Bones told us you were upset," Harry said. "Do you want to tell us why?"

"Susan's a sweet girl," Hermione said, "I'll tell you the news later, Harry."

"Can't talk in front of me?" Ron asked.

"I'd like to tell you Ron," she said. "It's good news. But it's a Ministerial secret."

"A Ministerial secret?" Ron said incredulously, "and Harry's in on it?"

"I'm sorry Ron," she said, "but that's the truth. I need to talk to Harry alone."

"Fine," Ron said. "You two go ahead and talk. I know Ministerial secrets I can't tell you two."

Ron left them in front of the portrait of the fat lady.

"Ministerial secret?" Harry said quietly when Ron had left, "are they concerned about the house-elf stuff?"

"No, it's about my parents Harry," Hermione said with a sigh. "It's terrible to keep it from the Weasleys that they aren't dead, but I suppose it's necessary."

"Are they alright?" Harry asked in concern.

"The Ministry finally got around to arranging a new identity for them. They've had higher priorities than a couple of Muggles," Hermione said. "Harry, they're moving to Vancouver. They want me to move to Canada too."

She waited for this to sink in.

"We could leave. We could transfer to a school in Canada. Harry, we can leave the war behind," she said quietly but in a pleading tone. "Mom and Dad want me to leave and they don't even know about the attempts to murder me in September."

"You should go," Harry said. "I'll come for you when the war is over."

"I'm not leaving you," she said bluntly.

"You should go," he repeated, "it's not safe here. But I have to face Lord Voldemort. And I don't want you following me into combat."

"But I need you Harry," Hermione said. "I'm staying if you're staying."

"Fine, but I don't want you following me into combat," Harry said sternly.

"I can get into trouble all by myself," she said. "Will you be there to protect me?"

"Of course I'll protect you," he said. "What sort of trouble are you talking about?"

"Oh nothing definite, I'm just talking about what could happen," Hermione said. "My parents finally got some money from the insurance. They set up an account for me at Gringott's Bank. I can buy some clothes and other things now," she said smiling.

The change of subject seemed pretty abrupt. Harry wasn't so sure that she was telling him the whole story.

On Tuesday Kingsley Shacklebolt cornered Harry in Defense Against the Dark Arts class and suggested that he should organize a group to practice defensive spells on Friday evenings. He told Harry that Professor McGonagall was all for it.

"I'm for it," Harry said, "but won't the practice room be open to Slytherin students?"

"Yes of course," Shacklebolt said. "You'll need to organize two groups. One that's open to everybody which would act as a cover. We’ll have to keep the group that really counts a secret."

That evening Dumbledore announced that students would be confined to their dormitories following dinner.

"This includes Prefects and their volunteer patrols," he said looking directly at Ron.

Harry spent the evening studying with Ron in the common room and wondering if the hospital was safe. For the fourteenth time this term he wished he had the Marauders’ Map. It had been confiscated by Dolores Umbridge when the D.A. was broken up and Draco Malfoy captured him.

On Wednesday morning the rooster woke Harry and Ron so they could escort Hermione back to Gryffindor Tower. When they arrived at the hospital wing the door was closed. Hermione was usually waiting at the door. Harry and Ron pulled out their wands and knocked on the door. They heard movement on the other side of the door, then Hermione's voice removing locking charms. The door opened and Harry was almost smothered by a hug.

"Are you alright Hermione?" they asked.

"I'm fine," she sighed. "But I'm very tired, let's go home."

"Didn't you get a chance to sleep last night?" Harry asked as they walked towards Gryffindor tower.

"There were no patients at all," she said. "I was alone in the hospital all night. I was scared. I couldn't sleep."

"Did something frightening happen?" Harry asked.

"Oh… it was just my over active imagination, don't worry about it," she said as she grasped Harry's left hand with her left hand behind her back. She held her wand ready as she scanned all around them.

"You're looking in every corner like you expect to be attacked," Ron observed. "What happened? Was there another murder last night?"

"Not that I know of," she said. "But it does seem to happen on Tuesday nights. It's just… Oh, when Madam Pomfrey hears about it, I'll probably loose more House Points."

"Hermione," Harry said firmly, "tell us what happened."

"I was unprofessional," she said with a sigh. "I was alone and nervous and Mr. Filch came in. I pointed my wand at him in a threatening way. I didn't like the way he was looking at me."

"Filch is a creep, he tortured you. Madam Pomfrey will understand," Harry said squeezing her hand gently.

"I told him I didn't need any new shoes, and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about," she said angrily. "So I told him that the hospital didn't need any cleaning and he just stared at me. Then I asked him why he was there. I was a bit gruff," she admitted. "He complained of a stomach ache so I tossed him a bottle of stomach potion. Then I made him leave and I never took my wand off him."

"He might complain about being treated like that," Ron said sadly. "He's a touchy creep. Still, I don't blame you. Don't worry about it. It's just House Points, we're not going to win this year anyway."

"There's more," she added. "A half an hour later there was a knock on the door. I checked through the peep hole and Filch was back. I sealed the door with magic and I didn't let him in."

"What if he was really sick?" Ron asked.

"I thought about appendicitis," she said nervously, "but I just couldn't open the door. He scared me. Oh, I hope he's not dead! It's just…"

"Just what?" Harry asked.

"I'm just being paranoid," Hermione said angrily.

"That's not what you were going to say," Harry deduced. "What was it about Filch that frightened you."

"This is silly," she said. "But… But I thought saw a wand in his hand."

"Filch is a Squib," Ron said. "Even if he had a wand, he couldn't use it."

"I'm going to get more detention," Hermione said sorrowfully.

But that evening at dinner Hermione told Harry that Madam Pomfrey hadn't said a word to her about the incident.

She talked Harry and Ron into hanging around the hospital for an hour when they dropped off Susan so the two girls could study together. They had some special exams coming up soon. Madam Pomfrey was getting involved in some project at St. Mungo's.

For the rest of the evening Harry and Hermione sat together on a sofa in the Gryffindor common room. The incident with Filch bothered Harry. Was Hermione losing her mind or had she been in real danger? Neither possibility appealed to him. He wanted to hold her all evening but they just sat beside each other and studied. She was finally out of detention and they were spending the whole evening studying. That was not very romantic. The room was full of other students so they couldn’t even take a break for kissing. Hermione was tired and went to bed early.

Early on Friday morning as Harry and Ron escorted Hermione into the Gryffindor common room, there was a flash in the fireplace and Mr. Weasley appeared.

"Dad!" Ron said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"You're already up! Excellent! Come with me at once," Mr. Weasley said excitedly. "Harry and Hermione you too, come along."

Ron pointed his wand at his father and said coldly, "Just who are you?"

Harry and Hermione pointed their wands at Mr. Weasley too.

Mr. Weasley looked at them in surprise.

"Ron, this is a crisis," he said urgently. "Charlie needs you. It's dragons. Harry and Hermione can help too, we've got to hurry.

"What happened to Rex Bruin?" Ron asked suspiciously. "And don't go for your wand!"

"Rex Bruin?" asked Mr. Weasley. "I don't know who you're talking about. Don't hex me! Dragons are attacking muggles and Charlie needs your help!"

"My dad would know what happened to Rex Bruin!" Ron said as he raised his wand a few inches.

"Wait Ron," he pleaded, "let me think!"

They stared at each other for a few seconds.

"Rex means king," Mr. Weasley said. "Give me a hint, was Rex Bruin a king?"

"He was the King of the Misty Forest! No more hints!" Ron said hotly.

"Ah! Misty Forest! I know that," Mr. Weasley said in relief. "It's what you kids called the woods between the Burrow and Ottery St. Catchpole. But there is no King of the Misty Forest."

Ron pointed his wand directly in his father's face.

"I think I'll use the Flagrate spell," Ron said hotly.

"Harry, Hermione, don't let him do that," Mr. Weasley pleaded.

"He might be your father," Hermione said.

"Or a very good actor," Harry said.

"I called my teddy bear Rex Bruin." Ron said through gritted teeth.

"Oh… That Rex Bruin," Mr. Weasley said sheepishly. "I killed him," he said to Harry. "But he was a huge venomous spider at the time. Fred and George thought it was funny."

"Alright Dad," Ron said. "We'll go with you. What's up?"

"Old Mad Eye would be proud of you Ron," Mr. Weasley said beaming. "The magical barriers at the South Celtic Dragon Preserve have been disrupted. Some Welsh Greens are raiding a Muggle village between Bideford and Bodmin. We've got to stop them before it gets on the Muggle tellyvisors! We've got to modify the memories of the affected Muggles and get the dragons back into the preserve!"

"Why do you want Harry and Hermione to come?" Ron asked.

"They can help rescue Muggles," Mr. Weasley said. "It's a low priority, but it's a nice thing to do."

They followed Mr. Weasley into the fire and were transported to the atrium of the Ministry of Magic. There were guards checking everyone who was coming or going.

"Weasley! Diggory's been asking about you" said the guard named Eric. "Go check in quickly."

Mr. Diggory sat at a table in the middle of the atrium. There were several stacks of Muggle toys on the table. Percy was with him managing the paperwork. Harry saw Percy give Mr. Diggory a nudge.

"Arthur! Bring Ronald over here," Mr. Diggory called.

"Ronald, Charlie needs your help. He'll explain. Grab a green toy. It's a portkey," Diggory said as he handed Ron a broom from a stack behind him and pointed to a pile of green toy army vehicles.

Ron took the broom, picked up a tank and vanished.

"Is Potter on the list?" Diggory asked Percy.

"She's listed as an aid to Madam Pomfrey," Percy said showing a list to Mr. Diggory.

"She hasn't had much training," Diggory commented to Percy after looking at the list. "Find Madam Pomfrey and do what she tells you to do," Diggory ordered Hermione. "The other healers will either tell you to do things that are above your level or not let you do anything at all. Take a white toy.”

"Hermione picked up a toy ambulance and vanished.

"Is Harry Potter on the list?" Diggory asked Percy.

"No, but he could be useful," Percy said. "He has a history of rescuing people."

"Arthur and Harry, you take brooms and red toys," Diggory instructed them as he handed over two brooms.

Harry picked up a red toy fire truck and felt his stomach lurch as he was suddenly jerked into a black vortex. He landed near a red tent. The lurching in Harry's stomach hadn't quite stopped when Mr. Weasley appeared beside Harry.

"That's Rescue Headquarters, they'll assign us a job." Arthur said.

They entered the tent and tossed their toy fire trucks into a basket. A wizard with a big black mustache and green robes sat at a table in the middle of the tent. He looked familiar. Harry thought he may have been on the Wizengamot.

"Joe??" Mr. Weasley exclaimed in surprise, "We're looking for the Muggle Rescue Headquarters."

"This is it Arthur," said the wizard with the mustache, "Diggory's organized everyone for emergency situations. I see you've brought Harry Potter. That's good. You two are naturals for a Muggle rescue team.”

Harry thought that the wizard with the mustache seemed a bit bored with his job.

"There's a farm a mile south of here where a young dragon is looking for breakfast," the wizard in green said with a slight smile. "Take the Muggles to the first aid tent, weather they are injured or not. If you see any Muggles wandering around, take them in too. Don't harm the dragons. They're a protected species."

He handed Harry and Arthur each a rope.

"These are grappling ropes. Tie one end to your broom and toss the other end in the general direction of the thing you want to tie up and the rope will do the rest."

Harry and Mr. Weasley mounted their brooms and flew over the trees towards a column of smoke.

At the farm Harry saw the dragon standing over the fallen body of a man. An old woman came out of the house with a gun. It was an old fowling piece that could do nothing but make the dragon angry.

"Expelliarmus," Harry said aiming his wand at the old woman.

The gun flew out of her hands. Harry then tossed the grappling rope around her and lifted her to the edge of the woods.

Mr. Weasley cast a Reducto spell on the barn door. Several cows, sheep and horses came running out of the burning barn. The movement of the animals caught the dragon's attention, but it seemed reluctant to leave the fallen man.

Harry flew past the dragon close enough to pester it but out of reach. The dragon was watching Harry now. Another zoom past the dragon and it was more interested in getting the annoying boy on the broom than in eating the farmer.

While Harry distracted the dragon, dodging a shot of flames as he did so, Mr. Weasley picked up the injured farmer and headed towards a white tent about a mile away. Harry summoned a lamb and levitated it towards the dragon. The dragon went for the flying sheep. Harry zoomed over to the old lady.

"I'll take you to the hospital. But first, is there anyone else here?" he asked her.

She shook her head, so Harry picked her up and followed Mr. Weasley.

In the distance he saw two red headed wizards on brooms chasing a dragon away from a village.

At the healer's tent, Mr. Weasley gave the injured farmer over to the care of Augustus Pye.

"I'm sorry I had to tie you up," Harry said to the old lady. "I hope the ride on the broom wasn't too frightening. That Healer is very good with burns," he said pointing to Pye. "He'll take care of your husband."

Hermione came over with a cup of tea for the farmer's wife.

"You poor dear, what a dreadful nightmare," Hermione said to the woman as she handed her the tea and patted her on the back.

The woman drank a few sips of tea and fell asleep.

Hermione levitated her to a cot.

The Obliviators would be along later to modify her memory.

Harry spent most of the day working with Arthur Weasley. Towards late morning when he was bringing a Muggle reporter to the hospital, Harry saw Ron being treated for minor burns and a broken arm.

By mid-afternoon some of the volunteers were being sent home. Mr. Weasley directed Harry and Hermione to board the Knight Bus to return to Hogwarts. Hermione was so tired she wanted to curl up and sleep on the bus. Harry held her tightly and tried to keep her from falling as the crazy purple bus jerked and lurched towards the school.

Sunday's Daily Prophet blamed the collapse of the magical barriers that surrounded the dragon preserve on the Death Eaters.

The dragon preserve is on a peninsula that juts out into the Celtic Sea. It is completely invisible to the Muggles, who think it is a chain of dangerous rocks that have to be avoided by their boats. A Muggle spy satellite may have taken a photograph of the peninsula when the magical barrier was down. Amos Diggory had diplomats working with Russian wizards to cover up that potential secrecy breech.

The Ministry of Magic introduced new restrictions and controls on travel by the flue network and portkeys. Joseph Steelman, the wizard with the big mustache and green robes, introduced a bill before the Wizengamot that would grant the Minister of Magic sweeping emergency powers in the event of a national disaster.

Hermione was as agitated about this bit of political news as she was about the death and destruction caused by the release of the dragons.

"Amos Diggory's a decent fellow," Ron argued.

"That doesn't matter. The travel restrictions are an infringement on our basic civil rights and that Emergency Powers act is just a bad idea," Hermione huffed.
Chapter 15 Tuesday Night by king
Chapter 15 Tuesday Night

Harry was glad to see Hermione back to her argumentative self. He even smiled at her when she chided him to get back to his schoolwork instead of staring out the window.

A thestral rose up out of the forest.

"Do you see that?" he asked Hermione as he pointed at it.

"They're even uglier than I imagined," Hermione said.

"So that's a thestral?" asked Ron.

"Yes, that's a thestral," Harry replied.

Hermione returned to her books. Harry stared at her and imagined her being naked in the forest. Then he thought about the way the thestrals had teased her when she went to get the harnesses to hitch them to Filch's wagon… on Tuesday.

"Ron, let's go for a walk," Harry said abruptly in a tone that left no room for argument.

"I need a break anyway," Ron said heartily.

"When are you two going to get your class work done?" Hermione snapped.

"We just don't want to bother you while you're getting caught up," teased Harry.

"Blimey, it's not right for us to be ahead of you," Ron added. "It's against nature."

"What is it?" Ron asked when they were out of the castle and heading towards the lake.

"Filch tried to murder Hermione last Tuesday night with a wand," Harry said.

"That’s bloody unlikely," Ron said. "Filch is a squib."

"What if it wasn't Filch?" Harry suggested. "What if it was a Filch impersonator?"

After a few seconds of thought Ron asked, "What are we going to do?"

"We're going to skip Defense Against the Dark Arts class on Tuesday and follow Filch into Hogsmeade," Harry said.

"I've got some Skiving Snackboxes from Fred and George," Ron offered.

"Good," Harry said. "We'll use my invisibility cloak to leave the castle. What else do we need?"

"Get Hermione's wand," Ron said. "If we need a teacher while we're on school grounds, I'll cast a spell with my wand. If we want to cast a spell without the alarm sounding, you can use her wand."

"Let's plan the details," Harry said. "If we try to follow Filch on foot we might get left behind. We can't run and both stay under the invisibility cloak."

"We'll have to ride in the wagon," Ron concluded.

"We'll need to be able to see out," Harry thought out loud.

"There's a spell for drilling holes," Ron suggested.

"That would just kill Uncle Vernon. What is it?" Harry asked.

"I don't know!" Ron barked. "We'll have to look it up in a magical carpentry book when the library opens tomorrow."

"We have a problem and we have to go to the library to get a book. Hermione would say the same thing," Harry joked.

"She'd go to Shacklebolt," Ron said.

"What if it's not Filch? I don't want to look stupid. We're not telling her about this," Harry said.

I'm not stupid enough to tell her we're ditching class to follow a murder suspect into town," Ron said indignantly.

Harry smiled at Ron and punched him on the shoulder.

Ron grinned and punched him back, a bit harder.

On Monday at dinner Hermione and Susan spent the whole hour talking about toxins and poisons. Eventually Ron and Harry were both looking at their food with suspicion. After they dropped Susan at the hospital, Hermione made them go to the mail room near the owlery.

"I thought you got your mail earlier," Ron complained.

"I couldn't carry it all. My book bag already weighs forty pounds." she explained.

There were two packages for her. One was from Madam Malkin's and probably contained clothing. The other was from Flourish and Blott's. It was very heavy.

"What is this?" Harry groaned.

"Things I need," Hermione answered obliquely.

As Harry carried the heavy package to Gryffindor Tower, the relentless force of gravity struggled with the magical string that bound the package together. As they were waiting for the portrait of the fat lady to open, gravity won. The contents of Hermione's package tore through the paper and landed on Harry's feet.

"What's this?" Ron asked. "You've got a dozen copies of this yellow book."

There were about a dozen copies of a gray book also. And multiple copies of a white book and a blue one too. The yellow book was: My First Reader. The gray book was My First Book of Numbers. The white and blue books were collections of short stories for children.

"Hermione, what are you up to," Harry asked suspiciously.

"Stacks of parchment, boxes of pencils, a magic chalk board?" Ron exclaimed. "Are you starting a school?"

"You mustn't tell anyone," Hermione said urgently.

"Does Dumbledore know you are planning on teaching the house-elves to read?" Harry asked.

"Bloody hell!" Ron exclaimed. "Spew was crazy but teaching the elves to read? You'll have a mob after you!"

"Reading's a practical tool," Hermione said defensively. "They'll be able to look up new recipes and follow written instructions."

"Are you going to introduce them to philosophy, history and politics?" Harry asked.

"Wouldn't that be something," Hermione said distantly.

Harry and Ron helped her pick up her school supplies as fast as they could. They didn't want to have to explain it to anyone.

On Tuesday morning there was a notice on the bulletin board:

Defense Against the Dark Arts Classes are cancelled today.

Kingsley Shacklebolt


"That saves us from having to puke up our breakfast," Ron said.

"There's Hermione," Harry said. "I'll get her wand."

Ron went on into the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Hermione," Harry said dashing up to her. "I want to talk to you, it's important."

"Alright Harry," she said smiling.

Then as she looked at him the smile faded from her face.

"What is it dear?" she asked nervously.

"Let's go out into the courtyard," Harry said, taking her by the arm.

They went out into the drizzly cold November morning and sat on an ice cold stone bench.

"Don't ask me why I'm doing this," Harry commanded, "but I want to trade wands with you."

Hermione stared at him and went pale. She slowly pulled out her wand. Her hand was trembling. She offered her wand to Harry without an argument. Harry took her wand and placed his in her hand.

He was surprised it had gone that easily.

"It's cold out here," he said. "Let's get some breakfast."

He took a step towards the door. She sat still, as if in shock.

He waited. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"They said… you would do this," she said haltingly.

"Who told you?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Lavender and Parvati," she said as more tears flowed.

Harry was confused. How could they have known about the plans he and Ron had made to follow Filch into town? He didn't know what to say.

"I don't care what you do," she said sadly. "I'm not going to break your wand."

She handed his wand back to him.

"Of course you won't break my wand!" Harry exclaimed. "I trust you with it. You may need it today. I think you should be able to cast spells with it just fine since we are magically bonded."

Harry put his arm around her and gave her his wand again.

She was silent.

"I'll take good care of yours and I'll give it back to you before Nursing class," he assured her.

"You're not going to break my wand?" Hermione said in relief.

"No, I won't break it!" Harry said, "I'll take good care of it."

"What are you up to Harry Potter?" she said suddenly recovering her bossy tone.

"I told you to not ask me that, Hermione Potter," Harry said with a grin. "Let's get some breakfast."

"You're up to something," she accused him.

"Trust me, Hermione, my love," he said smiling as he pulled her to her feet.

She glared at him.

"Her my honey, her my only," he joked and physically moved her towards the door.

"You're planning on breaking the rules. You're going to cause trouble. And you're going to use my wand to do it!" she deduced.

"Not so loud," he chided her. "You don't want me to get caught do you?"

They entered the Great Hall. Hermione broke away from him and walked over to the Hufflepuff table. She sat down next to Susan Bones and asked her about blood clotting spells. She didn't look back at Harry for a while. When she did, she looked angry.

"Did you get her wand?" Ron asked nervously.

"It was easier than I expected," Harry said, "except she started crying. She thought I was going to break her wand. Why would she think that?"

“How did you get her wand? Did she know when you nicked it?” Ron asked.

“I told her I wanted to trade wands. She might need one today, so I gave her mine,” Harry explained.
“You traded wands with her openly? You gave her your wand and asked for hers? You weren’t even sneaky?” Ron asked incredulously.

“No I wasn’t sneaky,” Harry said. “I just told her to not ask me why I wanted it.”

"And then she started crying about you breaking her wand? Harry, you trade wands and then break them to do the Magical Divorce," Ron explained. "I told you. It's in the betrothal rules."

"Oh no!" Harry groaned. "No wonder she's upset. What do I do?"

"You have to get her some flowers," Ron told him. "That's what dad does when he messes up."

Later that morning several Gryffindor students, including Hermione, were studying in their common room. Harry and Ron crept down the stairs from the boys' dormitory under the cover of Harry's invisibility cloak. They waited near the exit of the common room until Parvati Patil came in. They slipped out while the door was open.

"Wild goose chase," Parvati muttered. "Ron will pay for this."

"What did you do?" Harry hissed to Ron.

"Made up a story," Ron whispered. "I sent her to McGonagall. McGonagall thought she was bonkers and sent her right back to the tower. Got the door open, didn't it?"

They crept down to the paddock in the forest where the thestrals were kept. House-elves were harnessing the thestrals to the ice wagon. Dobby distracted the other elves while Harry and Ron climbed into the back of the wagon. They crouched in the front corner of the wagon and waited until it started moving.

"Forameno," Harry said quietly.

He made a small hole so he could see out of the wagon.

"Make one on my side too," Ron whispered.

In a short while the wagon entered the castle and stopped. Harry could see into George's pantry through an open door. The main hatch of the ice wagon opened. Ron and Harry held their breaths. They saw no one, but the wagon shifted as though something had been put into it. The hatch shut. Harry heard someone breathing, and it wasn't Ron.

They heard elves open the hatch of the ice compartment. Ice came tumbling in.

"Stupefy," Harry said as the crash of the falling ice muffled his voice.

Harry held Hermione's wand at the ready while Ron felt for the intruder.

"You got her," Ron whispered. "She's stiff as a board."

"What do you mean her?" Harry whispered.

"It's got to be Hermione," Ron hissed. "Who else could it be?"

They heard the house-elves greet Filch. The wagon swayed a bit as he climbed on and lurched as they started off towards town.

"Lumos maximus," Harry said quietly, lighting his wand like a lantern.

Ron pulled an invisibility cloak off of the intruder. It was Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"What are we going to do?" Ron whispered.

"We must be on the right track if Shacklebolt is tailing Filch too." Harry said quietly.

"Obviously!" Ron hissed. "But what are we going to do?"

"We'll loose House Points and get detention," Harry sighed. "Enervate."

Shacklebolt recovered with a jerk.

"Shh!" Harry and Ron hissed, their fingers over their lips.

"What are you boys doing here?" Shacklebolt said in a low growl.

"We're tailing Filch," Harry whispered. "We think he might be linked to the Tuesday Night murderer."

"I'm the Auror," Shacklebolt quietly snarled. "You can follow along, but stay out of the way!"

The three of them sat quietly and waited for the ice wagon to get to Hogsmeade. It was soon very cold. Shacklebolt glared at them.

The wagon stopped in front of A.B.Twaur's meat company and they felt the wagon rock when Filch climbed down. Filch told a boy to watch the loading of the meat and when that was done to drive the wagon over to Bo Vine's Dairy.

"Filch is walking away!" Ron said quietly but urgently, as he looked out his peep hole.

Shacklebolt opened the hatch and hopped out with his invisibility cloak rolled up under his arm. Harry and Ron followed. The startled elves that were bringing meat from the butcher's locker froze in place and did not challenge them. Shacklebolt and the boys followed Filch at a discrete distance.

Filch walked to the edge of the village to a small building with a sign that said "Ginger Bread Cottages. Beyond the office was a well manicured path that led into the woods. Filch walked about a hundred yards to cottage six and knocked at the door. Kingsley ducked behind a tree. Ron and Harry did the same.

"Argus dear," said a woman's voice. "You're right on schedule, as usual."

"Good morning, Honeydew!" Filch said happily as he went into the cottage.

Harry saw Shacklebolt disappear under his invisibility cloak, so he and Ron hid under Harry's cloak. They followed Shacklebolt's footprints and silently crept towards the cottage.

"Argus, I'm afraid I have bad news for you," they heard the woman say.

They heard the witch conjure ropes from her wand that tied up Mr. Filch.

"Dolores!" Filch cried out. "What are you doing?"

Harry and Ron crouched behind a wood pile. They saw Shacklebolt remove his invisibility cloak and pull out his wand. They followed suit.

"I'm afraid I have to break off our little relationship, Argus," said Dolores Umbridge. "It's getting too hot in Hogwarts on Tuesday nights."

"What's this about?" Filch asked in a frightened tone.

"Well Argus, I've been playing little games with your dull Squib brain," Umbridge said cheerfully. "You've been sleeping in this cottage every Tuesday night since the term began. Any memories you have of working on Tuesday nights and dallying with me on your visits here are just fictions that I planted in your weak mind."

Shacklebolt signaled Harry and Ron to keep low and stay put while he crept towards the cottage door.

"I don't understand," Filch said. "I thought you loved me!"

"You stupid Squib!" Umbridge laughed. "I just used you. Specifically I used a few strands of hair that you could ill afford to loose to make my polyjuice potion."

"Polyjuice?" Filch said confused.

"No one suspected me when I was disguised as you," Umbridge said. "It was so easy and satisfying to kill Cornelius, that traitorous maggot. He blamed me for all of his administration's failings! He got what he deserved."

"He never treated you right Dolores, but you're special to me," Filch pleaded.

"Argus, you are such an idiot," she cackled."

Harry felt a hand on his shoulder. He jumped and turned quickly. It was Hermione! She was holding her side and struggling to catch her breath.

"What are you doing here?" he mouthed silently.

Dolores Umbridge continued. "It's mostly been frustrating. Granger survived. McGonagall survived. Potter survived. Dumbledore survived, although I did manage to cause an international incident with that one. They're getting suspicious of you."

"I… ran…" Hermione whispered as she panted, "through the passage… to the shrieking shack." She gasped for air.

"Suspicious of me?" Filch said incredously.

"That Granger girl, maybe I should call her Potter now, wouldn't let me take my wand out this week." Umbridge complained. "Your usefulness to me is at an end, Argus."

"But Dolores," Filch pleaded. "We have a special relationship."

"Oh the beautiful fiction and the tragic reality," Umbridge cackled. "You're a loose end you filthy Squib. It's time to die now."

"No Dolores, don't do it!" Filch begged.

Kingsley Shacklebolt threw open the door and charged into the cottage.

"Expelliarmus!," Shacklebolt shouted. "Alright Umbridge, the game's over!"

"Expelliarmus," said a man's voice.

Then Harry heard the wizard in the cottage conjure ropes that tied up Shacklebolt.

"Well done Lucius," said another wizard.

"Thank you Augustus," Malfoy replied.

Hermione jabbed Harry sharply with her elbow, "Give me back my wand!" she mouthed silently holding out Harry's wand.

Ron was holding up three fingers.

"It's your lucky day Dolores," Lucius Malfoy said coolly. "You can practice the Killing Curse on this stupid Squib and then perfect it on Mr. Shacklebolt."

Ron readied his wand, picked up a log and moved nearer to a window. "I'll get Malfoy," he mouthed.

Hermione moved towards the door. "I'll get Umbridge," she mouthed.

"You stay here!" Harry mouthed while pointing to the ground behind the wood pile.

"Here's your wand, Dolores," said Malfoy. "Now kill Mr. Filch like I taught you."

Hermione continued towards the door. Harry shook his head. Hermione didn't notice. Harry dashed to her side.

"Avada…" Umbridge began.

"Alohomora," Hermione shouted.

The door of the cottage flew open violently, barely staying on the hinges.

"Expelliarmus," Harry shouted almost simultaneously.

Umbridge lost her wand as she was saying Kedav… and was knocked backwards tripping over a hassock and falling heavily on her all too wide rear end.

A log went crashing through the cottage window and Ron shouted, "Petrificus Totalus!"

Malfoy jumped like a cat, narrowly dodging Ron's spell.

Rookwood shot lightening at Ron and succeeded in blasting a wide opening in the cottage wall where the window had been.

Hermione took two quick steps to the left to get a better shot through the cottage door.

Malfoy appeared in the door way his wand pointed squarely at Harry.

"AVADA…" Malfoy shouted.

"Colloportus!" Harry shouted faster.

The door slammed shut on Malfoy's face, his hand protruding through a hole he had broken in the door. He was holding a broken wand.

Malfoy fell backwards into the cottage. The door fell off its battered hinges and plopped in front of the cottage.

"Petrificus totalus!" Ron shouted again.

Rookwood dove for cover and narrowly dodged Ron's spell.

"Absumefumis!" Hermione shouted.

Harry had never heard that one, but the ropes fell off of Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Accio Portkey!" Rookwood shouted frantically.

The two Death Eaters and Umbridge vanished. Harry entered the cottage. Shacklebolt picked up his wand and summoned Dolores Umbridge's wand.

Ron entered the cottage through the large hole where the window had been.

"Absumefumis?" Harry said dubiously as he touched Filch's ropes with his wand.

The ropes that bound Filch fell off in pieces. Harry looked at Hermione and smiled. She smiled back.

"Umbridge can be tried in absentia now, her wand will provide enough evidence to convict her," Shacklebolt said proudly.

Tears were flowing down Filch's cheeks.

"Come on Filch, snap out of it," Ron said. "She was too fat for you!"

The five of them walked back into Hogsmeade. On the way to the dairy, they passed a flower vendor's cart and Harry bought some for Hermione.

"Don't let Lavender and Parvati get you down," Harry said to her.

"What is it about you and my wand?" she asked quietly.

"I'll explain later," Harry whispered.

He gave her a hug and hoped she would forget about it. But he knew that was unlikely.

As they rode the ice wagon back to the castle, Filch finally pulled himself together enough to look back at Harry, who was riding on top of the wagon. He said only one word, "Thanks."

"You're very welcome Mr. Filch," Harry said. "Perhaps I could ask a little favor of you?"

"What?" Filch growled.

"Last year, on the night Dumbledore left the school, a piece of parchment was confiscated from me. May I have it back now?" Harry asked with a smile.

A livid Professor McGonagall met them in the entry hall of the castle.

“Where have you been? Why did you miss Transfiguration class?” she hissed.

“They were with me,” Shacklebolt said. “I’m sorry I forgot to tell you earlier Minerva, but I took them into Hogsmeade so they could help me investigate the Tuesday Night murders.”

“We’ve been worried sick about them, Kingsley. I’ll have to tell Professor Dumbledore to call off the search,” McGonagall said in a mixture of relief and anger.

“They were very helpful to me,” Kingsley said defensively. “We solved the mystery. Dolores Umbridge was sneaking into Hogwarts disguised as Mr. Filch. She murdered Cornelius Fudge and the Americans and tried to murder you and the Potters.”

“I thought Filch was acting oddly,” Professor McGonagall said.

“If it hadn’t been for these kids, Dolores Umbridge would have killed Argus Filch this afternoon,” Shacklebolt added.

“Harry and Ron rescued Mr. Filch while Mr. Shacklebolt fought with Lucius Malfoy and Augustus Rookwood,” Hermione chimed in. “Isn’t that right, Harry?”

Momentarily stunned by Hermione’s lie, Harry stuttered, “Um, yeah, that’s right.”

“I threw a log through the window to distract them and Harry disarmed Dolores Umbridge and untied Mr. Filch,” Ron said enthusiastically.

“We captured Dolores Umbridge’s wand and should reward these kids with some House Points!” Shacklebolt concluded.

“That’s certainly better than having to put more coal balls into Gryffindor’s column,” McGonagall said happily. “I’m awarding each of you fifty points for helping Mr. Shacklebolt solve these crimes.”

Harry and Ron dashed off to the Quidditch pitch for practice while Hermione was escorted to the hospital by Mr. Shacklebolt for her Nursing class.

No one ever mentioned that Harry, Ron and Hermione had to rescue Mr. Shacklebolt. Mr. Filch’s silence on that matter was purchased with a case of Scotch whiskey and a promise to say nothing about his affair with Dolores Umbridge.

Harry had to take a short break in the middle of Quidditch practice because he got a jab of pain from his scar when Lucius Malfoy learned what Lord Voldemort thought of wizards who let their wands get broken in combat.
Chapter 16 A Crash Course in Quidditch by king
Chapter 16 A Crash Course in Quidditch

There was an almost festive atmosphere in the Great Hall that evening at dinner. The Tuesday Night killer had been identified and her wand was in custody.

“Now we can focus on Malfoy and his gang,” Ron said with grim determination.

“Yes,” Harry said bitterly. “Dolores Umbridge didn’t beat up Hermione in the bathroom.”

“And she didn’t hang that Slytherin boy either,” Ron pointed out. “Those crimes occurred on Monday nights.”

“We have to make someone in Slytherin talk,” Harry said.

Hermione and Susan Bones came in dressed in their nurse’s caps and capes and joined them at the Gryffindor table.

“Harry my love, I’ve got good news!” Hermione said loudly, smiling at him. Then she quietly hissed, “Why did you want my wand this morning?”

“What’s the good news, Hermione dear?” Harry asked out loud. Then he whispered, “I’ll tell you later.”

“We’ve found a faculty sponsor for the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare and we can become an Official Student Organization,” Hermione said a bit too brightly. Clearly something was bothering her.

“Oh we did!” Harry exclaimed. “That’s wonderful,” he said sarcastically, “who is it?”

“You’re not still hung up on spew are you?” Ron asked. “Do you really think that any of the students will join you?” Then he whispered, “If people find out that you are trying to educate the elves there’ll be a lynch mob after you.”

Thank you, Ron, Harry thought as he dug into his pie.

“Mr. Shacklebolt is going to sponsor us,” Hermione told Harry. “It’s S.P.E.W.” she said to Ron. “And I do think that students will join us. Many of the kids here are decent and kind. There are laws to protect pets and farm animals from abuse. They’ll see that elves deserve better treatment. And with a leader like Harry we’re bound to attract members.”

Harry started to choke. “What do you mean by a leader like Harry?” he asked when he had cleared his throat.

“You’d be the perfect choice to be the President of S.P.E.W.” Hermione said. But she didn’t sound too happy about it. “And Ron can be the Vice-President in charge of Recruitment,” she added.

“But Hermione, the house-elves don’t want to be free,” Ron said.

“They don’t want to be kicked out into the woods where some bounty hunter might catch them and take them to a mine or a sweat shop,” Hermione said angrily. “But they do want to be treated decently and they love their children and they want them to have better lives. That’s why we’ll start by working for better treatment and education for the elves. Emancipation will come later.”

“But I don’t want to be the President,” Harry said.

“And I don’t want to be the Vice-President in charge of Recruitment,” Ron said.

“The elves work like slaves for us every day, they wear nothing but rags, they eat nothing but leftovers and they sleep in cupboards if they are lucky,” Hermione said hotly. “Ron, I think you can imagine what that must be like. Harry, you know what it’s like. You had to sleep in a cupboard for years, wore nothing but hand-me-downs, were underfed and given all of the chores. You do care about the elves. You understand how important education is. You just need to find it in your hearts to get involved. Anyway Shacklebolt wants you both involved. He wants Harry to be President.”

“But S.P.E.W. has always been your crusade. Why does Shacklebolt want me to be the President?” Harry asked in disbelief.

“Harry, you’re famous and heroic. You would make a good spokesman for the cause. And Ron you organized the Tuesday Night patrols. You’ve got leadership potential. And I’ll be much too busy with Nursing classes, doing research, writing our Manifesto and other things,” Hermione said definitively. “Anything I publish will be under the name Potter anyway. And there’s one other thing.”

Then she pulled them both close and whispered to them.

“The real reason Shacklebolt wants you both involved is that students in S.P.E.W. will need to be prepared to defend themselves,” she said quietly. Shacklebolt wants to use S.P.E.W. as a cover for reviving the D.A. He figures the Slytherins won’t join.”

You agreed to that?” Harry whispered in surprise. “S.P.E.W. isn’t going to be about the house-elves? It’s just a cover for the D.A?”

“Shacklebolt can help us and he does care about the elves. Most of the meeting time will be spent on combat training,” Hermione hissed. “But if you don’t give me a few minutes in each meeting to talk about the treatment of the elves I will be very mad at you, Harry Potter.”

She took a deep breath and started to eat.

“And that’s the end of the discussion?” Harry said. “Just like that? And you think we’ll go along with you without another word?”

“I think you’ll both go along with Shacklebolt, if you still have any ambitions of becoming Aurors,” she said curtly.

Harry and Ron had to admit she had a point there.

On Tuesday evenings Ernie MacMillan and some Hufflepuff boys always escorted Hermione to the hospital, but on this evening she made Harry come to the hospital with her. She said they needed to talk. Ron went too so Harry wouldn’t have to return to Gryffindor Tower alone. There was still a chance of ambush by a murderous gang of Slytherins.

“What do you suppose she wants to talk about?” Ron asked Harry quietly as the group was walking to the hospital.

“I don’t know what she wants to talk about,” Harry whispered back, “It could be the Magical Divorce misunderstanding, or us using her wand, or am I angry that she followed us and got into combat, or what do I plan to do as President of S.P.E.W to promote better treatment of house-elves, or when are we going to practice Sympathetic Magic spells, and why haven’t I been studying Occlumency now that I know that my scar pains can hurt her, and do I really expect her to spend Sundays flying with me instead of teaching elves to read, or do I find our Magical Bonding to be like a ball-and-chain. It’s probably all of the above. Whatever she wants to talk about, I’m in trouble,” Harry concluded.

“You should have bought her a bigger bunch of flowers,” Ron said quietly. “Now that you’re newlyweds the bickering begins.”

“I wasn’t carrying a lot of cash this morning,” Harry complained. “And we’re not really newlyweds. We haven’t even been out on a proper date. And I won’t be of legal age for a wedding for another twenty months!”

“Are you sure that you don’t want me to get you a stick?” Ron asked.

“Thanks, but no thank you, Ron,” Harry answered.

Hermione pulled Harry into Madam Pomfrey’s office while Ron, Susan and the Hufflepuff boys waited in the ward.

“Don’t be too hard on him Hermione,” Susan Bones called after them. “We’ve got to study for a while and I can’t make Ernie and the boys wait all night.”

“Yes, you wanted to talk,” Harry began defensively.

“Harry, let’s just skip the fight” she pleaded. “You’re not supposed to do magic outside of the classrooms and you keep grabbing my wand when you want to break the rules. Just tell me this: why doesn’t my wand set off the alarm?” she asked.

“Well, do you remember the night of the Beginning of Term Banquet?” he asked.

“Unfortunately, yes I do. I’ve been reading some self help manuals but I haven’t worked up the nerve to try an Obliviate charm on myself yet. I might blank out too much of my memory,” she said quietly as she looked down at her foot.

“While you were being… while you were out of the room,” Harry said carefully, “they scanned all of our wands with some enchanted device. I think they forgot to scan yours.”

“They missed me because of a silly administrative oversight,” she said.

“Yes, and between that and your knowledge of the house-elf corridors, you’re now the most powerful witch in the school, except for the teachers,” Harry said. “You could sneak anywhere in the castle and attack anybody and the alarm wouldn’t go off.”

“I’d get caught when they checked their records. Harry, you must promise me that you won’t use my wand to attack the Slytherins,” she said looking him in the eye.

“They tried to murder you!” he said angrily.

“You don’t know that for sure. Please promise,” she asked sadly. “I don’t want to get into any more trouble. Regardless of what happens for the rest of the year, if Gryffindor looses the House Cup, it’ll be my fault.”

“The House Cup doesn’t matter, I’m worried about your safety,” he said emphatically.

“Harry…” she said.

“Oh, alright,” he sighed. “I promise I won’t use your wand to attack the Slytherins.”

After a good hug and a quick kiss, Harry headed back to Gryffindor Tower with Ron, thanking his lucky stars that he had gotten off so easy.

On Wednesday morning Professor McGonagall posted an announcement that said the Dueling Club would begin meeting on Friday evenings in the Transfiguration classroom. At breakfast she talked to Harry about being the student instructor. Hermione came into the Great Hall a few minutes before Potions class and grabbed a cup of tea and a piece of toast.

“You look a little better this morning, Hermione,” Ginny observed.

“It was quiet in the hospital and I actually got to sleep some last night! It was wonderful!” she said happily.

“Speaking of looking better, did you see our House Points?” Ron asked. “It’s so nice to see some rubies in the column again.”

“Those rubies come from a mine,” Hermione said grimly.

“Yes, and that means… what?” Ron asked in a confused tone.

“The elves that work that mine live in atrocious conditions that make the Hogwarts pantries seem like a luxury hotel by comparison,” Hermione said angrily.

“You’re always so cheerful in the morning,” Ron said sarcastically.

“We’ll have to address that issue in our first S.P.E.W. meeting,” Harry added, hoping to stop the argument before it got started.

Thursday evening was the last Quidditch practice session before the opening match with Slytherin. Harry wasn’t overly confident of victory but he wasn’t scared. He felt they were ready. All they had to do was perform. He got to the Great Hall just in time to see the Hufflepuff boys escorting Hermione to the hospital.

“Come by the hospital when you’re done eating,” she called out to him.

A half an hour later, Harry and Ron were in the hospital.

“We got the results of our special nursing exams today,” Hermione said. “It was really close but Susan will be working on the special project at St. Mungo’s.”

“It’s alright Hermione,” Harry said sympathetically. “You can’t always come out on top and you had to spend so much time working in the kitchen.”

“Susan Bones is a good student and a good friend. We worked together as much as possible given the circumstances. Our scores were close in every area,” Hermione said. “Don’t tell her this, but I did get the highest marks.”

“Then why aren’t you working on the special project?” Harry asked in surprise.

“Madam Pomfrey pulled a little trick on us. She was trying to decide who to leave behind,” Hermione explained. “Susan and Madam Pomfrey left for London this afternoon and for the next four days, I’m the school nurse.”

“But you’ve been in training for less than a term!” Harry exclaimed. “That’s an awful responsibility.”

“Professor McGonagall and Madam Hooch have had first aid training and if I run into trouble, I’ve got a magic mirror that will enable me to contact Dr. Nesmith, he’s a healer in Hogsmeade, and the paintings can give me some advice too,” she said. “But it is a little scary. I might need your help, you had a little bit of first aid training during summer camp and I heard that you saved my life when I was attacked in the bathroom.”

“Pansy Parkinson was in the first aid class during summer camp too,” Harry suggested.

“I sure hope it doesn’t get so bad that I need her,” Hermione said.

On Friday evening Harry, Ron and a bunch of other Gryffindor students made their way to the Transfiguration class for the first meeting of the Dueling Club. The room was so crowded they had to move to the Great Hall. Malfoy and his gang weren’t there but Miles Bletchley, Adrian Pucey and several other Slytherin students were.

“Choose a friend for a partner,” Harry instructed the mob. “We don’t want anyone getting angry tonight. We’ll be working on simple defensive charms tonight: the Disarming Charm, the Shield Charm and the Stunning Charm. Try to avoid hurting your partner. Use the cushions!”

He didn’t want to take a bunch of injured students to the hospital and get a lecture from Hermione.

On Saturday a thousand people arrived at Hogwarts for the Quidditch season opener between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Hermione gave Harry a good luck kiss in the Gryffindor common room. It was a good long kiss on the lips with a hug too. They almost lost some House Points for that one.

“I know that you two are Magically Bonded and considered to be legally married but I would appreciate it if you refrained from flaunting it in front of the other students,” Professor McGonagall chided them. “It’s hard enough to keep girls and boys under control without couples kissing in front of them!”

Kingsley Shacklebolt seemed to be everywhere and he seemed to be very tense. Extra security guards were present including Remus Lupin and Mr. Weasley. Harry got to chat briefly with Sturgis Podmore and Dedalus Diggle. Fortunately security wasn’t airtight. While Harry and Ron were chatting with Dedalus Diggle he searched Fred Weasley twice, allowing George to smuggle in a load of enchanted items like bamboo wands, defensive talismans and a few of their own inventions. Dennis and his gang of third year boys finished the process of smuggling the contraband to Gryffindor Tower.

The Quidditch match went Gryffindor’s way. The red and gold team was ahead by 220 to 170 when Harry caught sight of the Snitch flitting about just above the three rings that Ron defended. He shot after the Snitch and grabbed it. It was one of the easiest catches he had ever made. Unfortunately Draco Malfoy had also seen the Snitch and had zoomed right at it. There was a violent collision between Draco and Harry. Both of them were knocked off their brooms. Harry smacked into one of the goal rings hard. The wind was completely knocked out of him and he lost his grip on the Snitch but somehow he managed to hold onto the goal ring. The whole world began to turn brown as he desperately tried to remain conscious and hold onto the ring. Malfoy landed on a flag pole. It impaled his leg.

“Let go Harry!” Ron shouted. “I’ll levitate you down.”

Harry slipped off the ring and floated to the ground. He lay on his back barely able to breath. The pain in his belly was horrific and his head was pounding.

He lay on the ground for several minutes. Ron was talking to him about his Firebolt zooming off towards Hogsmeade with Katie in pursuit. Hermione’s face appeared over him.

“Malfoy’s bleeding badly but he refuses to let me treat him,” she said bitterly. “How are you Harry? It looked like you hit that ring really hard. You were lucky that you could hold on until Ron helped you down,” she said as she passed her wand over him and tapped a piece of parchment. “I hope you don’t have any serious injuries,” she continued. “Let’s see… you have a ruptured…”

She stopped abruptly and looked into Harry’s face. He tried to focus on her golden brown eyes and smile at her. She looked terrified. Dark clouds were gathering around her.

“Ron, elevate his feet!” she ordered. “Arresto corona!” she shouted.

Harry willed his eyes to stay open and to focus on Hermione. The pounding in his head stopped. Darkness closed in all around him. His pain disappeared, he could see her now. Something on her chart had disturbed her. He had to see what it was. He got up and moved to where he could look over her shoulder at the chart, but the medical terms meant nothing to him. It was like a dream. He was floating. He wondered if Ron was levitating him.

Sano Aorta!” Hermione cried waving her wand over his body. “Ginny, get a bottle of Dr. Sanguis’ Blood Replacement Potion from Madam Pomfrey’s cabinet! HURRY!”

What a strange dream, Harry thought. He could see himself lying on the ground.

Sano Aorta!” Hermione cried again.

Harry had no idea what that spell was about and he wondered why magic spells weren’t in plain English.

“You’ve got to treat Draco!” a pretty blond woman shouted.

“GINNY! GET TWO BOTTLES!” Hermione screamed. “Harry’s first!” she shouted at Mrs. Malfoy. “SANO AORTA! Pansy Parkinson! Put a tourniquet on that leg!”

There was a tunnel leading out of the stadium. Funny he had never noticed it before. Maybe it was magical. There was a light at the end of the tunnel. He wanted to go to the light.

“Harry! Son! Stop! It’s not time yet,” a man said.

Harry looked at the man. He had seen him before. “Dad?” he said.

“You have a job to finish,” his father said. “You can’t die in a silly Quidditch accident.”

“You must stay with her,” a woman said.

Harry looked at the woman. “Mom?” he said.

“Where’s Madam Pomfrey?” Harry’s father asked sharply. “That nurse is just a child.”

“Hermione’s brilliant,” Harry said defensively.

“Look James, she’s using Sympathetic Magic,” his mother said.

“Are you still going on about that…”


Suddenly he was back on the ground looking into Hermione’s worried face. The horrible pain in his abdomen returned. He sucked in a breath. It hurt like hell to do that. He closed his eyes.

“Don’t leave me!” she cried. “ENERVATE CORONA!

He felt his heart lurch and start beating. His head started pounding again. Hermione kissed him.

“Try to get that potion into him, but don’t move him!” Hermione ordered.

Someone lifted his head a little. He opened an eye a tiny bit. Professor McGonagall was holding him and pushing a bottle to his lips. The potion was salty.

“Hang on Potter,” Professor McGonagall said gently. “Hermione will be back soon. She’ll work on your other injuries then. Drink some more potion.”

Harry was drifting away. He heard the voices of his friends from a distance: Ron, Ginny, Katie, McGonagall.

“We won by two hundred points, Harry.”

“Keep breathing, Potter.”

“Mrs. Malfoy is practically dragging poor Hermione.”

“I caught your Firebolt, Harry.”

“Swallow the potion, Potter.”

He lay on the ground for what seemed like a long time. It was so cold. He started to shiver. Someone covered him with a blanket.

Hermione reappeared, she was pale and sweaty. Her white apron was stained with blood. She passed her wand over him and tapped her chart. After a few moments of study she began chanting some spell.

“Mrs. Potter!” Snape called to her. “I brought the healing potion that you made in class.”

“Thank You! Please take a vial to Madam Hooch for Draco. Swallow this Harry,” she said.

“Professor Flitwick, he can go now,” Hermione said a minute later.

Harry felt himself floating. He drifted along into the castle and through the halls. He came to rest in a bed in the hospital. Hermione stuck a needle in his arm and attached an IV bag, just like in a Muggle hospital. Harry thought this must be really serious. He started to doze off.

He heard a man’s gruff voice. “Bed rest, now!”

“It’ll take more than that,” Hermione snapped. “They’ve both lost a lot of blood and Harry has some internal injuries.”

“Listen up Missy,” the man said. “I was a healer when your parents were in diapers and I can still read a chart. I want you to get some rest, NOW! Wingardium leviosa.”

“Dr. Nesmith!” Hermione protested.

Stupefy,” he said.

Harry felt a warm soft body settling next to him. He opened his eyes. Hermione was in bed with him!

“What are you looking at Potter,” Nesmith snarled. “Haven’t you ever slept with your wife? She’s exhausted. Stopped your heart, fixed the aorta, then revived you. Transferred strength from her body to yours with a Sympathetic spell. Two months training, case for the Journal, no shit. I want her to sleep now because I’m not staying here all night. You’re Magically Bonded, physical contact will be good for both of you. Maggie will be so excited when I tell her about this case, she reads Witch Weekly, she sure carried on about you. Shut your eyes.”

Harry drifted off to sleep.



“Are you with us, Potter?” Professor McGonagall asked.

The sun was low on the horizon. He must have slept for several hours. No, that window faced east, it was morning.

“Is it Sunday already?” Harry asked.

“It’s Monday Harry,” McGonagall said gently. “Hermione, Harry’s awake.”

Hermione bolted out of the bed next to his and rushed to his side. She smiled and kissed him on the forehead, smoothing down his hair with her hand.

“Oh Harry, you gave me such a scare,” she chided him. “Would you like some breakfast? I think you could tolerate some soup and tea.”

“Did Malfoy survive?” Harry asked.

“Yes, he was released yesterday evening,” she reported. “His mother gave me permission to treat him. He stopped arguing when he passed out. You had a lot of internal bleeding and will probably be a bit jaundiced for a day or so but we’ve got a potion for that. I can take your IV out now.”

She worked fast and efficiently.

“And the catheter.”

“OW! Couldn’t you use magic to do that?”

“Sorry. I’m thinking like a Muggle.”

Harry spent the rest of Monday in the hospital. During the afternoon Madam Hooch came in to give Hermione a break. She read her instructions and laughed out loud.

“Dr. Nesmith says that you must take a nap,” she said to Hermione. “And I am to use force if necessary! He also says that physical contact between a Magically Bonded couple is good for your health and that you are to sleep in Harry’s bed!” she laughed again. “That man has no idea how difficult it is to control boys and girls at a boarding school! Well, climb in and go to sleep girl. And remember the paintings and I are watching you.”

On Tuesday morning Madam Pomfrey was back. She did her own diagnostic scan on Harry and studied his charts.

“Hermione!” she exclaimed. “You stopped his heart?”

“I had to reduce his blood pressure to heal the artery,” Hermione explained. “I figured I had a minute or so before his brain died and it would reduce the internal bleeding.”

“You can’t use Sympathetic Magic on just any patient. You’re limited to Harry for that,” Madam Pomfrey pointed out unnecessarily. “If you want to do surgery on vital organs we’ll need to cover advanced resuscitation spells.”

“But it was Harry and it was an emergency,” Hermione said defensively.

Madam Pomfrey smiled at Hermione. “Your procedure worked and it was very creative,” she said. “Dr. Nesmith says he wants to submit a case note to the British Journal of Healing.”

Harry was well enough to be released from the hospital and Ron escorted a still slightly shaky Harry and an absolutely exhausted Hermione back to Gryffindor Tower. The two of them were excused from classes on Madam Pomfrey’s orders so they could rest.

“Thanks Hermione, you saved my life on Saturday,” Harry said as they walked through the castle.

“That was my job,” she said.

“Mrs. Potter, would you go into town with me next Hogsmeade weekend?” Harry asked. “You know, for a date?”

“Well Mr. Potter, I’ll consider it,” Hermione answered. “What did you have in mind?”

“I don’t know… We could go to Madam Puddifoot’s,” Harry suggested.

“I saved your life and you’ll buy me a cup of coffee! I think you can do better than that,” she said in mock indignation. “You should buy me lunch.”

“Alright,” Harry said with a smile. “Anything you want.”

“I like Chinese food. Let’s go to Chang’s,” Hermione said.

“Cho might be there,” Harry observed nervously.

“Then you’ll have to hold my hand,” she said tartly.

“You’re wicked,” Harry said with a grin.

“I’m a witch,” she said grinning back at him.

“Why don’t you two just go snog each other in the Shrieking Shack, it’s not really haunted you know,” Ron joked.

“Oh Ron,” Hermione rolled her eyes. “Harry and I aren’t going to do a thing like that!”

“Oh yeah, you’re not that kind of girl,” Ron said with a touch of sarcasm in his voice.

“Everyone knows the Shrieking Shack is not really haunted,” Hermione said. “It’s always crowded with couples on Hogsmeade weekends.”

“And how do you know that?” Harry exclaimed.

“I listen to girls gossiping!” she said defensively.

“She wants us to believe she’s never been in there with a boy,” Ron laughed.

“I was in there once. And that was with two boys at the same time. It was very exciting,” she teased. “We were all alone except for an escaped convict, a traitorous rat, a werewolf and the creepiest Professor in the school.”

Friday evening found Harry studying Dark Magic, depressing stuff about human sacrifices and demons. He took a break to stare out the window. When the lightening flashed he could see Hagrid’s hut. He hoped it wouldn’t keep raining all weekend. He wanted to do a bit of flying. He wished it was a Hogsmeade weekend. He wished Hermione wasn’t so far away. She had gone to London with Susan Bones. The two of them were working on the special project, whatever that was. Madam Pomfrey was back in the Hogwarts hospital wing where she belonged. He watched it rain and drifted off into a daydream.

Hermione’s golden brown eyes sparkled in the moonlight. Her smile was so cute. Her wand was spinning in her hand. “Cognoscere mea vita,” she said. Her wand stopped. It was pointing at the Big Dipper. It began to glow a rosy shade of pink. No fireworks. No burning. No pain. Hermione’s wand just glowed peacefully like Mrs. Weasley’s wand had at the wedding.

She consulted a compass and a map and measured the luminosity and temperature of her wand. Then she entered the data in a table in her journal.
Chapter 17 The Return of S.P.E.W. by king
Chapter 17 The Return of S.P.E.W.

“Blimey you’re irritable today!” Ron chided Harry for snapping at Dennis Creevy. “It’s Sunday afternoon. This is your last chance to relax before classes start tomorrow. You shouldn’t waste it by being unhappy.”

“Yeah, I’m irritable. So what?” Harry snapped back.

“Don’t you jump on me mate. Dennis didn’t mean any harm. You weren’t doing anything, except maybe daydreaming,” Ron said.

Harry went back to what he was doing, which was staring out the window.

“Is that it? Did Dennis interrupt a good daydream?” Ron teased. “Was it about a certain brown-eyed girl?”

Harry felt bad about snapping at his friends.

“Sorry,” Harry said.

It had been a good daydream. One about squeezing into a cupboard in the pantry with a certain house-elf while reminding her that physical contact was good for the health of Magically Bonded couples. Just thinking about it made him grin and turn red.

“I knew it!” Ron said with a laugh. “You shouldn’t let her run off to London without you like this. Separation is hard on Magically Bonded couples. Harry you really ought to read those rules that the Ministry of Magic sent.”

“Those rules are five-hundred years old,” Harry said. “Chastity belts and crap, I could never treat Hermione like that.”

He stared out the bedroom room window. From this window he could see the smoke when a train came into the station at Hogsmeade. But Hermione wouldn’t be back until tomorrow afternoon and there wasn’t any smoke to see. He sighed.

“Is Harry missing his little wifey?” Ron joked.

“Yes, I think so,” Harry admitted. “I just want her back here, where I can see that she’s safe.”

“So you can hold her gently in your arms…” Ron said with exaggerated sweetness.

“Yeah,” Harry said quietly.

“…and shag her brains out,” Ron finished with a laugh.

“Ooo Ah, Ooo Ah” Dennis added.

“Your minds are in the gutter,” Harry said. “What is Dennis doing in here anyway?”

“Dennis brought us the stuff from Fred and George, he’s been hiding it all week. Is Hermione planning on spending a lot of time in London?” Ron asked.

“The next two weekends,” Harry replied.

“She’ll miss the Hogsmeade weekend! I thought you were going to take her to lunch at Chang’s,” Ron exclaimed. “You should forbid her to go,” he said firmly.

“I don’t think that will work,” Harry said. “She’s pretty strong willed.”

“Are you sure you don’t want a stick so you can beat some sense into her?” Ron joked.

“I could never hit Hermione, she’s saved my life twice this term, not to mention Her Night of Torture for the Boy She Loves,” Harry said wistfully.

“I thought you might be an old softy,” Ron said. “So I got you a stick that will beat her for you.”

“What?”

“I got it from the Whomping Willow, at great personal risk I might add,” Ron bragged. “Just look at this.”

Ron held out a stick that appeared quite ordinary.

Anima,” Ron chanted gleefully.

The stick came to life and began lashing out at the closest person.

“OW! Stop that!” Dennis protested. “What did I do? OW!”

“You disturbed Harry’s daydream,” Ron laughed.

“How did you cast that spell without the alarm going off?” Harry asked.

“You better stop that damn stick or I’ll hex you! OW!” Dennis shouted. “And I don’t give a rat’s ass about the fucking alarm! OW!”

Arresto” Ron said with a snicker. “I used a bamboo wand.”

“A bamboo wand? Did you nick it from Flitwick’s cabinet?” Harry asked.

“Fred and George smuggled in a whole box of them when they came for the Quidditch match,” Ron said. “The bamboo wands are loaded with various spells. They’re even color coded.”

“Those bamboo wands are fine for levitating feathers and deflecting dungbombs but you can’t put a complex or high level spell into one,” Harry stated.

“Fred and George say that there is a lot of variation in the quality of Flobber worm hearts. They developed a way to test the bamboo wands to see how good they really are,” Ron said. “They sent us some that can hold reasonably decent spells.”

“What else did they give us?” Harry asked.

“They also sent us some of their own stuff,” Ron said. “Extendable Ears Deluxe Version, assorted toffees that will enlarge the tongue, nose, ears and other body parts, Exploding Butterflies, Guided Bumblebees, Hex Reflectors, an Instant Ghost Projector, and a couple of Invisibility Hats. They developed them from those Headless Hats they had last year except these extend the invisibility field to cover the whole body.

“Hex reflectors could be very useful,” Harry said. “The Bumblebees could be annoying, and the Butterflies could be used to detonate larger explosives, but just what is an Instant Ghost Projector?”

“It’s disguised to look like a book,” Ron said as he placed the projector on the floor in the middle of the room. “You put a photo of someone into this compartment and water into that compartment and the projector turns the water into a mist that takes on the appearance of the person in the photo,” he explained. “Dennis do you have any interesting photos on you?”

“How about Cindy Chambers doing stretching exercises?” Dennis suggested.

“Whoa! Tight T-shirt! No bra! Where did you get a picture like that?” Ron asked in awe.

“That’s a trade secret,” Dennis said.

Ron placed the picture of Cindy into the projector and filled it with water. In a few seconds there was a life sized ghostly Cindy Chambers doing exercises in the boys’ bed room.

“This particular bamboo wand is what Fred and George call one out of a thousand. They loaded it with a transfiguration spell that can temporarily turn a mist into a solid object.”

Ron aimed the wand at the ghostly image of Cindy Chambers and set off the spell. The image solidified and the boys were treated to a very realistic looking Cindy Chambers.

“That’s an interesting device,” Harry said. “But how can we use it to attack the Slytherins?”

“Cindy’s really stacked isn’t she?” Dennis observed.

“Dennis, I don’t think a boy of your tender young age should be watching a girl like Cindy exercising without her bra,” Harry said.

“I don’t think a married guy should be watching a girl like Cindy exercising without her bra,” Dennis countered.

Harry looked out the window again, as if that would somehow make the train arrive sooner.

“Give Harry a break, Dennis,” Ron said. “Just because a fellow’s on a diet it doesn’t mean he can’t look at the menu.

A few minutes later Ron spoke again. “She’s fading away. That’s the end of the show. Did either of you bother to time the duration of the spell?”

“I’ve got some French postcards in my room,” Dennis said. “Do you want to try one of them?”

“We can use this projector to make people think they see someone when that person’s not really there,” Harry thought out loud. “We can use my Invisibility Cloak or one of the Hats to do something without being seen, and we can use the Ghost Projector to fabricate an alibi.”

“With all this stuff we can attack the Slytherins now without setting off the alarm,” Ron said.

“I’m not all that keen on just hexing Malfoy and his gang,” Harry said. “I don’t want to play childish pranks on them, even if the pranks are painful. I want to get at the truth. If they really did attack Hermione in the bathroom, I want them arrested, tried and sent to prison. These bamboo wands are all well and good but I want to make some Slytherin students talk.”

“I would truly like to torture Draco Malfoy,” Ron said. “But Fred and George didn’t send any bamboo wands that were loaded with the Cruciatus curse. I think what we really need is Veritaserum,” Ron concluded thoughtfully.

“Maybe Professor Snape will give you some,” Dennis said. “And maybe pigs will start flying for Christmas. And maybe it will snow a lot next July. Personally, I can’t wait to try out the wand with the double purple stripes. I’ve been picking out targets all week and trying to decide who to do first.”

Harry checked the list that described the color coding system.

“The one with double purple stripes contains the Devestimenta Charm,” Harry read. “Just what is that?”

“It strips the victim naked,” Dennis said.

“How do you know about that charm?” Harry asked. “Flitwick didn’t cover it when I was in third year!”

“I read about it in a Magical Joke book that I borrowed from Fred and George last year,” Dennis explained. “Cindy Chambers moved up a notch in my book today and anyway you cut it Cho Chang is cute and Parvati…”

“Would you stop making wise cracks about girls, we’re trying to figure out how to bring Malfoy’s gang to justice,” Harry snapped.

“If I popped Hermione you could dash to her side and throw your cloak around her and hold her naked body real tight to protect her,” Dennis suggested.

“Don’t even think about it you little twerp,” Harry said, pointing a random bamboo wand at Dennis.

“You’ll have to steal some Veritaserum from Snape’s office,” Ron said distantly. “This is going to take some planning. He watches you like a hawk.”


On Monday morning Ron was paired with Hannah Abbott in Potions class because both Hermione and Susan Bones weren’t back from London. Ron spent most of the double period studying and making notes of the layout of the Potions classroom while leaving the work of brewing the assigned potion to Hannah. When she came over to Harry and Ernie to complain about Ron’s behavior, her cauldron boiled over. Ron defended himself by pointing out that a person standing next to the North window could not be easily seen by a person standing near Malfoy and Parkinson’s bench. Hannah thought that was a rather poor excuse for slacking off in class.


That afternoon in Charms class Harry found a window that allowed him to see a bit of the railway viaduct in the distant valley. He spent most of the class searching for smoke.

“Mr. Potter… Harry… HARRY POTTER!”

Harry jumped. The other students snickered. Professor Flitwick looked angry. It was hard for Harry to avoid smiling because Professor Flitwick reminded him of a yappy little terrier that was trying to act tough but couldn’t bite you above the knee.

“What did I say to you?” Flitwick asked sharply.

“The incantation for the Voice Throwing Charm is Ventriliquo,” Harry said.

The other students snickered again.

“That was what I said the first time I caught you staring out the window, Mr. Potter,” Flitwick said. “Try again.”

“The permanent enchantment of music boxes with the Voice Throwing Charm is the basis for the operation of the Wizarding Wireless Network,” Harry said.

A ball of paper bounced off his head as the students snickered again.

“That was what I said the second time I caught you staring out the window, Harry,” the little Professor sighed. “Any more guesses?”

“No sir,” Harry said sheepishly.

“I said that the train will arrive weather you are watching for it or not. Now pay attention Potter!” Flitwick chided him. “I am going to show you the proper wand movement for the Voice Throwing Charm.

As soon as Charms class ended Harry ran down to the Entrance Hall. In a few minutes Hermione came through the door. She dropped her suitcase and ran to Harry. They grabbed each other in a desperate hug and kissed passionately without regard for the crowd around them.

“Easy does it,” Ron warned. “You don’t want to lose House Points for us do you? You’re setting a bad example for the students that aren’t married yet, like all of us.”

“How did your trip go?” Harry asked her.

“It was good, except I missed you so much it almost hurt. I might have been a bit irritable,” Hermione admitted.

“Maybe just a little irritable,” Susan Bones added in a sarcastic tone.

“It’s a fascinating project and we made a lot of progress,” Hermione reported.

“We didn’t get as far as Augustus wanted us to, because we didn’t make any progress on Saturday,” Susan stated.

“That’s not true at all!” Hermione said defensively. “Those changes were necessary! The project wasn’t ethical! We are obligated to look out for the patient’s safety!”

“You are of course right, Hermione,” Susan said in exasperation. “But it was a bit of a scene and it meant a lot more work for us. Writing fiction…”

“It’s all fiction!” Hermione snapped.

“How do you know that!” Susan snapped back.

“Harry and Ron told me and they know! It’s better to make the changes now rather than later,” Hermione lectured. “If we don’t…”

Harry had no idea what she was talking about and he thought the argument had gone on long enough so he smothered Hermione’s reasoning with another kiss. She didn’t resist. Susan stalked off towards the Hufflepuff dormitory.

When Harry let go of Hermione she took a deep breath and changed the subject.

“Harry, while I was in London I got a letter from the Ministry of Magic. They receive some of my mail and had to forward it,” she said. Then she lowered her voice to a whisper. “It originated in Canada.” She gave Harry a few seconds to think and then continued to whisper. “If my parents sent us a Christmas present would you accept it?”

“Us?” Harry asked as they walked over to a corner where they could be alone. “Do they know that we’re Magically Married?”

“No, they wouldn’t understand that,” she said. “But I told them that I care about you and that the Dursleys don’t want you to go home for Christmas.”

“Why wouldn’t I accept a present from them and what are you talking about anyway?” Harry asked.

“Some guys get all defensive and needlessly upset when their in-laws try to help,” Hermione said. “I’m glad you’re not that insecure. Mom and Dad will send us tickets to fly to Canada for the Holidays, if you’re willing to go.”

“I’ll have to talk to Dumbledore about it,” Harry said.

“Oh, Thank you, Harry,” Hermione said as she gave him another hug and a kiss.

“Three days in London is bad enough, there’s no way you’re going to Canada for two weeks without me,” Harry said.

“I couldn’t stand to be away from you for that long,” Hermione said.

“You still love your parents, right?” Harry stated. “I want you to be happy.”


On the following day Kingsley Shacklebolt cornered Harry after Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

“I’ve scheduled the first S.P.E.W. meeting for tomorrow evening in my classroom,” Kingsley said. “It’s the only night this week that Hermione can be there. Tell Ernie Macmillan and Cho Chang. They’ll spread the word to the people we want to come. What spells are you going to work on?”

“We’ll start with the Petrifying and Summoning charms,” Harry said.

“Sounds like you’re starting pretty simple,” Shacklebolt said.

“Maybe,” Harry replied.


There were some students in Gryffindor who were appalled at the very idea of trying to get legislation passed that would interfere with a wizard’s right to treat his house-elves as he saw fit. Many others were simply apathetic or noncommittal. So on Wednesday evening after dinner only Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Colin and Dennis left Gryffindor Tower to go to the Defense Against the Dark Arts class room for the first meeting of S.P.E.W. as an Officially Sanctioned Student Organization. They were met by Ernie Macmillan, Susan Bones, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Zacharias Smith from Hufflepuff and Cho Chang, Luna Lovegood and Terry Boot from Ravenclaw.

“Alright everybody listen up,” Harry said loudly enough to silence ongoing conversations. “This is the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare. Our goals are to see that Elves get treated humanely and to prepare to defend ourselves if we are attacked by Death Eaters or other wizards that don’t like us. We’ll start by voting for a President. Who’s in favor of Harry Potter stepping down as President and letting someone else do the job? Raise your hand!”

“Who’s opposed to that resolution and thinks Harry should be the President?” Hermione said. “Raise your hand! Sorry Harry, you lost the vote, you’re still the President. Nice try.”

“Alright, I’ll do it,” Harry sighed. “Next item of business is a report from Hermione on the bad conditions that elves in certain mines have to put up with.”

Hermione’s report on the mistreatment of the elves in the Malfoy Mine left the small group of students stunned. When she finished ten minutes later the group was a lot quieter than they had been before the meeting started.

“So what are we going to do about it?” Zacharias Smith asked her.

“The plan right now is to draft a manifesto of basic rights that elves deserve to have.” Hermione began. “Once we are in agreement, we will try to educate the Wizarding community about the issue and we’ll work for legislation that will force owners to treat their elves decently if they don’t do so voluntarily.”

“But we should do something now to help those poor creatures,” Cho said. “Couldn’t we take them some food and blankets and stuff?”

“Better treatment for the elves is a good idea but we really need to work for their emancipation,” Zacharias said. “Elf labor drives down the costs of goods and makes it harder for small craftsmen to make a living. Elf slavery helps to prop up the economic tyranny of the old aristocracy and inhibits the development of a small business based middle class.”

“Well, I hadn’t considered the issue from the standpoint of a small craft based business. You certainly have a good point Zacharias,” Hermione said. “But calling for the emancipation of the elves is a big step. Maybe we should start with smaller goals like making sure elves have decent food, comfortable beds and education and work towards emancipation in the long run.

“But that’s a half-way measure,” Zacharias began. “In the mean time small businesses will have to continue to compete with large factories that use slave labor. My dad makes cauldrons that are a lot better than the ones students buy at Flourish and Blott’s but no one wants to pay…”

“We need to be getting on to the next order of business, which is practicing defensive spells,” Harry interrupted.

Kingsley Shacklebolt was smiling, he seemed to be enjoying the fact that the students were really talking about elf rights.

“But we need to do something to help those poor elves in the mine!” Cho said. “I’ll volunteer to organize the collection of food, medicine, blankets and pillows if someone will volunteer to take it to the mine.”

“Going to Malfoy’s Mine could be dangerous,” Harry said dubiously.

“I’ll take the things to the mine,” Hermione said. “I know an elf that can act as a guide.”

“No, No, No!” Harry said holding his head with his hands.

It was decided that Cho, Luna, Ron and Justin would collect things for the elves that worked in the mine and that Harry and Hermione would deliver it. They also agreed that secrecy was essential. They would meet in a week to update their relief effort plans and discuss The House-Elf Bill of Rights. Once Harry had things under back control (I have things under control? HA! I had to volunteer to go to Malfoy’s Mine! Just who is in charge here?), he divided the group into pairs for dueling practice.

“We’ll start with the Petrifying Charm,” Harry said.

“That’s too easy! We’re advanced students and we did that in Dueling Club,” Zacharias protested.

“I’ll need a volunteer,” Harry said. “How about you Zach?”

Everyone was looking at Zacharias so he couldn’t very well back down.

“Put your wand on this little table Zach, next to mine, and step back five paces,” Harry instructed as he stepped away from the table. “Justin, you’ll be the referee. When Justin says go, grab your wand and petrify me.”

The duelists took their positions and looked at each other and at their wands on the small table that was in between them.

“Harry, you’re a step farther from the table than Zach,” Justin pointed out.

Harry waved his hand at Justin. “It doesn’t matter,” he said.

“Alright,” Justin said. “GO!”

Harry’s wand shot from the table to his hand and Zach was petrified before he had advanced three steps.

A gasp went through the crowd. “Way to go Harry!”

“One of the worst things that can happen in combat is losing your wand,” Harry told them. “We’re going to work on summoning tonight. It’s a simple charm, early fourth year stuff. But we’re going to do it without our wands.”

Harry unfroze Zach and they all went to work trying to make their wands roll across a table to their hands. Hermione had been practicing and could already make her wand jump into her hand from the floor at a distance of five feet so she just worked on improving her speed and distance. Kingsley Shacklebolt worked on the wandless summoning right along with the students. He was very serious and made rapid progress. Their practice time was almost up when Hermione came over to Harry and took hold of his hand.

Accio wand,” she said.

Her wand jumped into her hand from the far corner of the classroom, a distance of more than forty feet.

“I wondered if that would work,” she said beaming.


Harry spent Thursday evening trying to study, without a lot of success. There was a crowd in the Gryffindor common room and many of the students were playing games like Gobstones, Exploding Snap and Wizard’s Chess rather than studying. It wasn’t much easier in his bedroom. Ron kept asking him which one of six very similar photos of Harry looking out the window looked more natural. It was also very tempting to pull out the Marauder’s Map.

I am absolutely up to no good,” he said as he touched the map with his finger.

Words began to appear on the parchment.

Mr. Moony, Mr. Padfoot, Mr. Wormtail and Mr. Prongs wish a warm welcome to Mr. Harry Potter, but suggest that he try using his wand to activate the map.

“It’s not hopeless,” Ron observed. “I think I can see a faint outline of the map.”

“That alarm system is really a pain in the ass,” Harry said angrily. “It’s like they think we might start hexing our own house mates.”

“That’s a real possibility in Slytherin,” Ron said. “About a third of them sympathize with You-Know-Who. A third of them think You-Know-Who is a bit extreme. And the rest of them don’t want to make a commitment. They don’t know who to trust. Anyway I’m sure Hermione is still in the hospital.”

“Yes, but where’s Malfoy?” Harry asked.

“Why don’t you try to activate the map with a bamboo wand,” Ron suggested. “We’ve got one that’s not loaded with spells and Fred and George rated it as one in one-hundred.”

To Harry’s surprise, the bamboo wand worked. The Marauder’s Map appeared in all of its glory on the parchment. It was like seeing an old friend. Harry immediately looked at the hospital wing of the castle. There were two patients and Madam Pomfrey. Hermione wasn’t there.
Chapter 18 Gold, Silver, Red and Brown by king
Chapter 18 Gold, Silver, Red and Brown

“Don’t panic Harry. Just because she’s not in the hospital right now it doesn’t mean she’s in danger,” Ron said urgently. “She’s probably still in Hogwarts somewhere. Maybe she’s in the library. Search the map!”

“She’s not in the library or Gryffindor Tower,” Harry said nervously. “Where else could she be?”

“She’s always saying we’ve got to tell Dumbledore, maybe she’s in his office.” Ron reasoned. “Where else does she spend a lot of time? Hagrid’s hut maybe?”

“House-elves,” Harry said in relief. “Here she is, in a pantry off the kitchen.”

“Let’s go for a walk around the castle,” Ron suggested. “We’re not getting any work done here. We can pop into the kitchen to get a snack and then drop by the library.”

The map showed that Luna Lovegood was in the library.

“Sure, let’s go for a walk,” Harry agreed. “It’s bound to be better than sitting here thinking about girls.”

The house-elves greeted Harry and Ron at the door of the kitchen with a plate of pastries, cakes and tarts and a pot of tea.

“It’s like they were waiting for us,” Ron commented. “How’d they know we were coming?”

Harry saw Hermione come out of a pantry with an elf that was obviously a female and obviously pregnant.

“Now Amy, that potion you drank tonight should take care of your fever but you should take a swallow of the vitamin elixir every day,” Hermione said to the mother-to-be. “And stay off your feet, get lots of rest. I’ll talk to George about your duties.”

She made a note on her chart and then looked around the kitchen.

“Harry! What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Ron and I just popped in for a snack,” Harry said.

“What! Didn’t you get enough to eat at dinner? Don’t eat too many sweets. You want to stay lean if you’re going to be a fast Seeker, don’t you,” Hermione lectured.

“Oh yes dear, you’re quite right,” Harry said as he put a cherry tart back on the tray.

Hermione gave Harry a smile and a quick kiss. “Who’s next!” she shouted to the elves as she walked back to the pantry. “Hi Walter, how’s that hand of yours, are your fingers still tingling? I told Madam Pomfrey about it and she thinks it’s not the soap that’s used on the floors but it’s the way you beat the rugs. She says it’s called carpel tunnel syndrome. There’s a spell to rearrange the wrist bones but it’s a bit above my level…”

“Let’s go to the library before Luna… before it closes,” Ron said as he picked up the cherry tart that Harry had abandoned.


When Harry arrived at the Gryffindor table for lunch on Friday, Hermione was not at her usual spot but he saw Ron talking to Seamus and Neville.

“…and so he says Oh yes dear, you’re quite right and he puts a pastry back,” Ron laughed.

“The poor fellow is whipped,” Seamus snickered. “It took years for mum to get dad that well trained and he can’t hex her back.”

Harry saw that Hermione was at the Hufflepuff table with Susan Bones and decided to join her there. Between bites Hermione and Susan labored over a book.

“Where it says without a moments hesitation I bravely charged in, change it to read: I quickly considered my options and concluded that I had to attack in spite of the fear that I felt,” Hermione dictated.

“So I see you two made up,” Harry observed.

“Of course we made up,” Hermione said. “Susan and I are good friends.”

“Hermione is right about the changes she wants to make,” Susan said. “And she promised to try to not irritate Augustus this week.”

“So what are you reading?” Harry asked as he lifted the book from Susan’s hands so he could read the title. “This is one of Lockhart’s books! Why are you reading this rubbish?”

“It’s not all rubbish,” Hermione said. “The descriptions of the spells and wand movements are correct although that information is available in standard textbooks.”

“The stories are all fiction,” Harry said. “Lockhart takes credit for heroic acts that were performed by other wizards and witches.”

“Maybe what you’re saying is true,” Susan said, “but the stories are well written even if Lockhart does go a bit overboard in describing his own bravery.”

“It’s got to be toned down a bit,” Hermione said shaking her head.

“Why?” Harry asked. “Are you editing his book for a second edition?”

“Oh I’m sorry,” Hermione said holding her hand over her mouth. “Forget that Harry. I’ve said too much.

“What is this about?” Harry asked.

“Oh Harry, please forgive me. I’m leaving on the four o’clock train to London and I shouldn’t waste these precious minutes working,” Hermione said staring into his eyes. “Take me to a quiet corner and kiss me good-bye.”

She led Harry out of the Great Hall and into Firenze’s empty Divination classroom. The mystery of Gilderoy Lockhart’s book moved to the back of Harry’s mind, replaced by the joy of hugging and kissing Hermione in what seemed to be an enchanted forest.

It was going to be a long and lonely weekend. The thought of going into Hogsmeade without Hermione was not exciting. But it wasn’t going to be an empty weekend. Somehow in the middle of the hugging and kissing Harry agreed to spend part of Sunday afternoon reading to the house-elves.

Harry returned to the Great Hall in time to see the food being cleared away.

“I missed lunch,” Harry said looking lost.

“I guess a certain brown-eyed girl likes your body lean and firm,” Seamus joked.


On the following day Ron, Luna, Cho and Justin went into Hogsmeade together along with most of the third year and up students. They would gather food, medicine and blankets to give to the elves in the mine. Harry didn’t feel like going into Hogsmeade without Hermione so he stayed in the castle and tried to study. He still hadn’t come up with a plan to defeat Lord Voldemort. In fact with all of the murders, marriages and excitement going on he hadn’t made much progress since summer. But Harry didn’t spend all day alone. At lunch Professor McGonagall told him to go to Dumbledore’s office.


“Christmas in Canada? Why that sounds delightful.” Dumbledore exclaimed with a smile. “It’ll take a bit of work to insure that your departure is not noticed. But you two deserve a bit of rest and relaxation. And a vacation trip abroad would be good practice for the traveling that you two will have to do next summer.”

“Thank you sir,” Harry said. “She needs to get away from it all for a short time. I could use a vacation too. It’s been a rough term.”

“Indeed it has,” Dumbledore said. “For this trip, secrecy is essential. Hermione’s parents are not protected by wizards or any magical devices at all.”

“You mentioned that we would be traveling next summer?” Harry asked.

“With all of the danger and excitement you’ve been through this term, have you given any thought to the problem of dealing with Lord Voldemort?” Dumbledore asked.

“Frankly, I haven’t had much time to think about how to defeat him. I’ve mostly concentrated on staying alive,” Harry said.

“And playing Quidditch,” Dumbledore added with a smile. “As Headmaster I must be impartial, but as an old Gryffindor student I certainly enjoyed the way your team man-handled the Slytherins.”

He paused. When he spoke again it was with a more serious tone.

“That game almost ended in disaster,” Dumbledore said. There are no recorded instances of a healer using Sympathetic Magic to help revive a patient after repairing such a major artery. Her resourcefulness amazes me.”

“Could this Sympathetic Bond between me and Hermione be helpful in defeating Lord Voldemort?” Harry asked.

“Do you want it to be?” Dumbledore asked.

“Not if it puts her in danger,” Harry answered.

“I understand your desire to protect her,” Dumbledore said.

Harry realized he had answered his own question.

“So what is Lord Voldemort?” Dumbledore asked. “Why didn’t he die when the curse that gave you that scar bounced back at him?”

“He can’t be killed, at least not in ordinary ways,” Harry answered. “He’s not a human anymore. He’s made a deal with a creature from another realm. He’s become some sort of demon-like thing.”

“Very good, you have done some studying. There are ways of defeating him,” Dumbledore said. “Voldemort’s not the first dark wizard to seek immortality. Good wizards have had to deal with demonic Dark Lords like him before. Have you been reading those two books Madam Pince gave you this summer?”

“They’re dark and depressing,” Harry said.

“I thought you might find the book on Blood Magic to be interesting,” Dumbledore said brightly. “It’s not really Dark Magic you know. I’ve always found it to be a fascinating subject, especially the uses of dragon’s blood.”

Harry stared at the old wizard. Dumbledore was a great man but he could be very odd indeed.

“Perhaps it’s not exactly your cup of tea,” Dumbledore said in a disappointed tone.

“We, well actually Hermione, found one way to destroy Voldemort, in the brown book,” Harry said. “But it’s too terrible to consider. It uses human sacrifice.”

“I know of four ways that may be used to defeat Voldemort,” Dumbledore began. “The most appealing is the Gold Serpent Staff, an ancient talisman that dates back to the time when all men were wizards. Touch Voldemort with this staff and he’ll be banished to another realm.”

“Where is this Gold Serpent Staff,” Harry asked hopefully.

“No one knows,” Dumbledore said. “A lot of wizards have searched for it. You will study their notes and attempt to find it yourself. If you do find it, the world will become a safer place. If you are moving around a lot, the Death Eaters will be distracted. If Voldemort thinks you have found the Gold Serpent Staff, he will be discouraged from attacking you. ”

“That explains the travel next summer,” Harry pondered.

“The most common way of dealing with a case like Voldemort is to build a magical prison that can hold the dark creature forever,” Dumbledore said.

“Like Azkaban?” Harry asked.

“It has to be better than that. The dark demon-wizard must be surrounded by enchanted silver items,” Dumbledore said. “It’s very expensive to build this type of enchanted prison. It takes months, if not years to construct the building and enchant the barriers. But it’s worked before. We’ll need the help of the Ministry of Magic. I will work to build a political coalition that will appropriate the funds for the prison. It takes a lot of silver.”

“How do we get Lord Voldemort into the prison?” Harry asked.

“That’s another problem altogether,” Dumbledore admitted.

“Someone has to beat him down so he can be taken in a weakened state,” Harry guessed. “Someone with a power he knows nothing about.”

“Very perceptive,” Dumbledore acknowledged.

“The third method involves Blood Magic,” Dumbledore said. “Voldemort used some of your blood to perform the spell that transformed his baby-like body into a man-like body. There is something of you in him. If we can replace enough of his blood with your blood he would become human enough that he could be killed.”

“You mean like a blood transfusion?” Harry asked. “Is this described in the red book?”

“I gather you haven’t read every page that I marked,” Dumbledore deduced.

“I didn’t read the pages that Hermione marked as useless,” Harry said. “I mean, this seems unlikely to work. Is he going to cooperate? Is Madam Pomfrey going to help? Please hold out your arm and make a fist Mr. Voldemort, you may feel a little prick from the needle.”

“His cooperation is one problem with the blood based plan,” Dumbledore admitted.

“And it has to be me. How much of my blood would this take?” Harry asked.

“More than your body contains,” Dumbledore concluded.

“And that leaves the brown book, the human sacrifice,” Harry said grimly.

“The route no one wants to go,” Dumbledore said.

“A magical bond is established between the sacrificial victim and the demon-wizard. And they both die,” Harry said grimly.

“When Tom Riddle rejected death, he rejected his life, for death is a part of life,” Dumbledore explained. “He became something other than living. His essence is no longer a life force but rather a form of anti-life. A life force plus an anti-life force results in mutual annihilation, death for both.”

“I’m not going to sacrifice someone to kill Voldemort,” Harry said flatly. “How could we establish a magical bond between him and the sacrificial victim anyway? He might not hold still for it.”

“There is already a magical bond between him and you,” Dumbledore said quietly. “You almost destroyed Voldemort when you fought with him for the Philosopher’s Stone. Professor Quirrell’s body was weakened by the possession and he died before you could destroy Voldemort. That freed Voldemort and he fled from you. He can’t possess you. He fled from you in the atrium of the Ministry of Magic last June.”

“So I could destroy Voldemort by disarming him, grabbing him and holding on until it’s finished?” Harry asked.

“Harry, I don’t want you to do it that way,” Dumbledore said quietly. “You are young. Your life is ahead of you.”

“Let other wizards duel with Voldemort until he is tired. You will have to disarm him and weaken him. But then you can use the Gold Serpent Staff to destroy him, if it can be found,” Dumbledore explained. “Or perhaps he can be cornered and weakened and then someone can then confine him and put him into the Silver prison. Or we can study the techniques that Muggles use to store blood. If we are able to preserve the blood’s magical properties, then we can slowly collect several gallons of your blood. Then we could use it to restore enough humanity to Tom Riddle that we can kill him.”

“So Hermione and I go looking for the Gold Serpent Staff,” Harry said.

“And I will work with the Ministry of Magic to build the Silver Prison,” Dumbledore said. “I don’t think it would be wise to be bleeding you. If you are tired and weak you might not be able to fight off the attacks that are certain to come. You must survive until you are ready to attack him.”

“All of these plans require that we locate Lord Voldemort and attack him at a time of our own choosing,” Dumbledore continued. “It would not be a good idea to let him pick the circumstances of a confrontation between you and him. The Death Eaters and the Dementors must be dealt with. You will need help. Do not attempt to attack him without the support of the members of the Order of the Phoenix. I am hopeful that we might find an informant who will lead us to Lord Voldemort’s lair. Perhaps some house-elf could be convinced to betray him.”

“Hermione wants to take a load of food and stuff to the elves that work in Malfoy’s mine,” Harry reported.

“Kingsley has told me” Dumbledore said.

“It could be dangerous,” Harry said. “You could forbid it.”

“She has been working very hard to gain the trust of the elves,” Dumbledore stated. “Be careful. Kingsley will arrange for transportation from London to the mine.”


On Sunday afternoon Harry read to the elves. Dennis and his gang accompanied him to the kitchen and stuffed themselves with cakes and sweets. Harry didn’t feel like eating much. He kept wondering what next Sunday would be like. Would he be with Hermione in London, or would they both be dead at Malfoy’s mine?


It was of course pointless for Harry to stare out the window in Potions class on Monday morning. Hermione’s train was scheduled to arrive at Hogsmeade station at three in the afternoon. The only window in the classroom did not provide much of a view. It was set high in the classroom wall but was low to the ground outside. Snape’s room was like a dungeon. Plus the window faced north, which was completely the wrong direction to watch for trains from London. Nevertheless, several times during the course of the class, Harry wandered away from the bench he shared with Ernie Macmillan to glance through this pathetic little window. Ron had made sure that everyone had heard jokes about poor love-sick lonely Harry.

Ron was working with Hannah Abbott again, much to her chagrin. The only potion Ron cared about at the moment was Veritaserum, although he had been pleased to learn that one of the ingredients in today’s assigned potion was a highly flammable oil.

Harry saw the signal from Ron. Professor Snape was wandering around the classroom making nasty comments about the students’ abilities to make potions. He was a row behind the bench used by Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson. Harry tucked his Invisibility Cloak under his arm and wandered away from his bench, leaving Ernie to watch their cauldron. Ron had placed the Instant Ghost Projector on the floor near the window. A butterfly landed on the vial of oil on Malfoy’s bench and exploded. In the confusion of the fire, Harry tossed on the invisibility cloak and darted into Snape’s office while Ron activated the Ghost Projector and set off the spell that solidified the misty image of Harry staring out the window.

Professor Snape put out the fire with an Extinguishing spell and sarcastically assured Draco that he had unfortunately not been injured.

“Why did that explosion occur?” Snape asked the class as if he expected someone to finger the culprit.

“The explosion occurred because oil of bango tuber is flammable,” Justin Finch-Fletchley said proudly.

“And just why did Mr. Malfoy’s vial explode, while yours did not, Mr. Finch-Fletchley?” Snape asked.

“My vial of oil isn’t dangerously close to my cauldron,” Justin said.

“My vial was two feet from the flame!” Malfoy exclaimed defensively.

“Potter why are you staring out the window?” Snape asked.

There was a short delay while Harry cast the Voice Throwing Charm but the image of Harry staring out the window eventually said, “I’m just checking the weather sir.”

“Potter, there isn’t a cloud in the sky” Snape said coldly. “And no smoke either. Return to your bench immediately.”

Snape was looking at the image of Harry. His line of sight was partially blocked by a cabinet but it was a dangerous moment. A bee stung Draco Malfoy and began to torment Pansy Parkinson. Their shrieks drew Professor Snape’s attention away from the image of Harry by the window. He killed the bee with an expertly aimed curse from his wand and rounded on the class.

“Why is there a bee in my classroom in late November?” he asked in an accusatory tone.

“It’s too cold outside?” Justin guessed.

“Do bees like the smell of bango tuber oil?” Ernie asked. “There’s another one!”

A few moments later, Snape once again looked at the image of Harry staring out the window.

“Ron you idiot!” Hannah screamed as flames raced across their bench.

By the time the fire on Ron and Hannah’s bench was extinguished, the image of Harry by the window faded away and Harry reappeared next to Ernie.

Not knowing who to punish for the confusion, Professor Snape gave the whole class an extra essay to write on the proper handling of flammable substances.


“Did you get the Veritaserum?” Ron asked Harry on the way to the Great Hall for lunch.

“I just took a little bit so he wouldn’t notice a whole vial missing,” Harry said giving Ron an unlabelled vial with a small amount of liquid in it.

“Now we have to get it into one of Maloy’s mates and make him confess in public,” Ron said thoughtfully. “It might cause a row. We’ll have to arm some of our mates with the stuff from Fred and George.”

“Are you thinking of doing it in the middle of the Great Hall?” Harry asked.

“Are you sure you got the right stuff?” Ron asked, looking at the unlabeled vial.
Chapter 19 The Bamboo War by king
Chapter 19 The Bamboo War

Midway through charms class as Harry was watching out the window for the smoke of the approaching train, a piece of parchment floated in front of his face.

Professor Hagrid,

Please allow Harry Potter to accompany you to Hogsmeade to meet the train.

He has my permission to leave Charms class.

Professor Flitwick


Harry grasped the paper and looked at Professor Flitwick. The little Professor and all of the students were staring at him.

“I expect you and Hermione in my office at seven PM this evening” Flitwick said curtly. She has Charms work to make up because she has been absent and you have Charms work to make up because your mind has been absent.”

“Sir?” Harry said in confusion.

“You haven’t been paying any attention! You couldn’t cast a decent Anti-Termite Charm to save your house!” Flitwick snapped. “There’s no point in you being here if you can’t pay attention. Go meet the train. Give her a kiss. But be in my office at seven PM and be ready to focus on Insect Repelling Charms. Go. Hurry. Professor Hagrid will be leaving soon.”

The class snickered and joked as Harry left the Charms classroom.

“May I go meet the train with Harry?” Seamus asked. “There might be some other girls gettin’ off and they’ll need kissin’ too.”

“Sit down Mr. Finnegan,” Professor Flitwick ordered. “And explain the difference between the Fly Repelling Charm versus the Mosquito Repelling Charm.”

Harry dashed out of the castle and caught up with Hagrid as he was climbing onto a wagon that was drawn by two thestrals.

Midway to the railway station, Harry took the reins while Hagrid pulled out a handkerchief to wipe his eyes.

“Sorry Harry,” Hagrid said blowing his nose. “Thinkin’ of you an ‘ermione got me to thinkin’ of Olympe. There was folks that didn’t like ‘er ‘cause she was half-giant like me. Just like there’s folks that don’t like ‘ermione ‘cause she’s Muggle-born. I’ll never meet another woman like Olympe. I sure ‘ope you never ‘ave to say good-bye to your sweet little ‘ermione the way I had to say good-bye to my Olympe.”

As Hagrid cried some more, an unpleasant thought occurred to Harry: Since Hermione and I are magically joined by a Sympathetic Bond, what would happen to her if I died?


On the following evening Ron offered Harry a cupcake as they walked from the Great Hall to Gryffindor Tower after dinner. Harry was deep in thought, Monday night it had been Charms with Professor Flitwick, Tuesday night and Thursday night Hermione had Nursing duty, Wednesday night was S.P.E.W. and they needed to practice Sympathetic Defensive spells, Friday night they would travel to London and Saturday night to the mine. When was he going to get a chance to just be alone with her?

“I don’t think one cupcake will make you fat Harry,” Ron said.

Harry realized he had carried the cupcake all of the way to their bedroom and he hadn’t said a word to Ron the whole way. He didn’t even know if Ron had been talking to him or not.

“Sorry,” Harry said sheepishly as he ate. “I’m worried about this trip to the mine. I don’t think it’s a trap. Dobby wouldn’t set us up. But it could be dangerous. There might be security at the mine.”

“You and Hermione have a lot on your minds,” Ron said sympathetically. “I heard you whispering about Christmas. What are you two doing for the Holidays? Are you both staying at Hogwarts?”

“No, we’ll be going to Canada,” Harry answered with a smile.

“Why are you going to Canada?” Ron asked.

“To be with her parents,” Harry said.

Then he suddenly realized he had revealed the secret that provided the only protection that Hermione’s parents had.

“Her parents?? Aren’t they dead?” Ron asked incredulously.

“No, they’re alive,” Harry said.

Fear welled up in Harry. What am I doing? Ron will tell his whole family! Someone will let it leak. It could endanger Hermione’s parents again! What am I thinking??

“Ron, you mustn’t tell anyone!” Harry said urgently. “Not Ginny! Not even your mother! Not even if it hurts you to see them cry. It could endanger Hermione’s parents!”

“That’s the Ministerial Secret that you and Hermione couldn’t tell me about isn’t it?” Ron deduced.

“Yes that’s it,” Harry confirmed.

Why do I keep talking? Why can’t I tell Ron a lie?

“They survived the battle! But the Ministry of Magic faked their deaths to protect them, right?” Ron said in wonder.

“Yes, but you mustn’t tell anyone,” Harry said nervously. “Why am I telling you this secret? Jack Granger killed Theodore Nott with his machine gun. Nott’s relatives might go after them!”

“I’m sorry Harry!” Ron said. “I just wanted to test the Veritaserum.”

“You ASSHOLE!” Harry snapped. “Don’t you trust me to nick the right potion?”

“I trust YOU!” Ron said defensively. “But Snape might have made up a vial of Fake Veritaserum!”

“I’m VERY angry with you Ron!” Harry said shaking. “You MUST keep this secret!”

“I’m sorry Harry!” Ron said again. “I didn’t know you would tell me something important like that! I just wanted to know what you had got me for Christmas. Don’t be angry. I’ll tell you my secret! Then we’ll be even.”

“I don’t see how that…”

“The Ministry uses the dragons to guard things,” Ron said nervously. “There’s a castle-like building in the Highland Preserve. It’s an enchanted prison a thousand years old that’s lined with silver. They say it holds an evil wizard as bad as You-Know-Who.”

Ron looked frightened.

“If it wasn’t for that bloody alarm I’d hex you!” Harry said.

Ron handed Harry a bamboo wand and shut his eyes.

“Oh damn it Ron!” Harry said throwing down the bamboo wand. “I’m glad that you know Hermione’s parents are alive. But it’s just one more thing to worry about.”

Harry and Ron didn’t speak to each other for the rest of the evening.


At the S.P.E.W. meeting, Cho and the foraging committee gave Harry some blankets that had stains and appeared to be cast off.

“If the elves get caught with blankets that look new, it could cause trouble,” Cho said.

They also had some bags of rice and beans and flour. And some bottles of Vitamin Elixir and various Potions for Tooth Decay, Stomach Aches and Fever. The Elixir and Potions were past the expiration dates, but not by much.

Harry would be going to London on Friday evening with Hermione and Susan on the grounds that he was so irritable when Hermione was away that no one could stand him.
Kingsley Shacklebolt was also going. He would get them to Cornwall on Saturday evening. He had borrowed a Trunk from Mad-Eye Moody that could hold all of the relief supplies and have room enough to spare for Dobby.

They all practiced wandless summoning for a few minutes. Then they practiced the Stunning Spell, the Petrifying Charm and the Tripping Jinx. Then Harry and Hermione held hands, crossed their wands and tried some Sympathetic Magic. Hermione used the Shield Charm to protect both of them while Harry fired offensive spells at the other students. The two of them together could defeat up to six attackers.


The following evening Harry went to the library to get books about ancient talismans, archeological expeditions and the search for the Gold Serpent Staff. This would be the best way to get rid of Lord Voldemort, but wizards had been searching for the Staff for thousands of years. What chance did Harry and Hermione have? Plus there was the workload. Hermione was already chronically sleep deprived this term so Harry would have to do the book research himself. He wasn’t enthusiastic about that prospect.


On Friday evening Harry, Hermione, Susan Bones and Kingsley Shacklebolt shared a compartment on the daily train from Hogsmeade to London. Hermione spent the first part of the trip sleeping with her head on Harry’s lap. That was a bit of a shame since the highlands were the prettiest part of the trip, especially with the sun setting. They ate in the dining car while rolling through the Tweed Valley. The train reached King’s Cross station a few minutes past eleven and they were met by Augustus Pye, the young healer in charge of the special project. Somehow all five of them squeezed into his rust colored Fiat with their luggage and the trunk of relief supplies. This was quite an achievement because the car wasn’t at all enchanted and was as small on the inside as it appeared on the outside. But Augustus was able to deliver them to the Leaky Cauldron.


Harry didn’t fancy sitting in the Tea Room at St. Mungo’s Hospital all day and was hoping he would be able to wander around Diagon Alley on Saturday. But the young and somewhat unorthodox Dr. Pye had other ideas for Harry.

“I hear that Harry can take care of himself in a tight situation,” Augustus said over breakfast. “We should bring him into the project. I just don’t like all this secrecy stuff, and Harry will find out about the project soon anyway. He could be helpful.”

“I don’t know a thing about Healing Spells,” Harry admitted. “Are you sure you want me to stick around?”

“You can read and write. Those are two very important skills,” Augustus said. “And you know how to survive in combat. Your perspective might be valuable for this project.”

“I thought it was a Healing Project,” Harry said. “What’s combat got to do with it?”

“We’re trying to help Dumbledore find a permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor,” Susan said cheerfully. “And you’re good at that subject.”

“We’re trying to help Gilderoy Lockhart resume a normal life,” Hermione said.

“As you know Mr. Lockhart’s memory was damaged by a spell that went bad,” Augustus began. “It seems to be impossible to restore his memory. There are some serious mental blocks. So we’re trying to construct a memory for him based on the autobiographical information available in his books.”

“You want to help Lockhart become the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor by filling his brain with the stuff in his books?” Harry said in disbelief.

“That about sums it up,” Augustus said cheerfully.

“It was a lucky break for me that Lockhart’s Memory Charm backfired!” Harry stated. “He was trying to make Ron and me forget what he had told us. He’s got no talent for fighting the Dark Arts! All of the stuff in his books was done by other wizards! Those books are fiction!”

“He’s been hospitalized for more than three years Harry! Isn’t it time to forgive him and help him recover?” Hermione argued.

“If you want to help him out by filling his brain with fiction, why not tell him he’s a Muggle bricklayer or a janitor so he can get a nice safe job and live happily ever after?” Harry countered.

“It’s inevitable that an artificial memory is going to include some factual errors and have gaps in coverage,” Augustus said. “But at least the persona described in Lockhart’s books is his own creation. We’re not writing the fiction.”

“Just toning it down a little bit so he doesn’t kill himself,” Hermione added. “But we can’t turn him into a happy Muggle bricklayer. That would be unethical. He’s a wizard.”

“Most people in the wizarding community think the stories in Lockhart’s books are true, even if it is a bit unbelievable that one person could do all of that and survive,” Augustus stated. “If he’s to reenter our society he needs to be fairly similar to the person that people think he is.”

“But he’s a git!” Harry exclaimed. “How can he possibly become a real fighter of the Dark Arts?”

“Someone insisted that we add some background material to his memory,” Susan said while looking at Hermione. “Even if that means a lot of extra Defense Against the Dark Arts homework for us.”

“Gilderoy’s going to need help to develop into a real Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor,” Hermione said looking at Harry. “He needs book knowledge of defensive spells, but he also needs practical mentoring.”

“As if I don’t have enough to worry about!” Harry exclaimed.

“Please Harry,” Hermione said holding his hand and looking into his eyes.

Harry looked into that sweet smiling face and those golden brown eyes.

“Oh alright,” Harry surrendered. “I’ll help out today. But I won’t do a thing tomorrow if we get killed tonight.”

Mr. Lockhart’s treatment consisted of a spell that put him into a hypnotic trance (Aperomensa), and a spell for putting fantasies into his brain (Scribomensa), and then reading to him a slightly toned done version of Holiday With Hags, with some extra reference material from The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self Protection. Harry was kept busy all morning looking up practical material that might help a wizard to survive the situations that were described in Lockhart’s book.

That afternoon while the girls worked on editing Vacation With Vampires, Pye let Lockhart out of his trance for a practical lesson with Harry.

“Do you remember how to do a Disarming Charm, Mr. Lockhart?” Harry asked.

“Yes I do, Harvey!” Lockhart exclaimed happily. “It’s Expelliarmus! What a marvelous feeling! I can remember using this spell to disarm three trolls of their clubs beneath a stone bridge in Norway. I think I wrote about it in my book Travels With Trolls.”

“Alright, you just charm this willow branch out of my hand before I hit you with it,” Harry instructed. “Anima!”

“Oh my! That’s a frightful stick you’ve got there, Henry!” Lockhart said cowering. “OW!”

“Use the spell Mr. Lockhart,” Harry suggested.

“Yes, ah… OW!... ah Expellamouse!” Lockhart shouted, producing a rodent at the end of his wand.


That night, when he would have much rather been crawling into bed, Harry hefted Moody’s heavy trunk from a Muggle train at the Salisbury railway station without using magic. Shacklebolt and Hermione held their wands beneath their coats and kept a lookout while Harry wrestled the trunk onto a cart and pushed it around an unlit corner of the building.

“It’s OK Harry,” Hermione said. “There are no Muggles here.”

Harry opened the trunk and took out their brooms. Then he levitated the trunk and the three of them flew off to the west. They passed a couple of Muggle villages and landed on a country lane a few miles from the closest village. It was cold and clear. A quarter moon was just rising in the east.

“It’s time to let our guide out of the trunk,” Shacklebolt said.

“You didn’t leave Dobby locked in that trunk since yesterday afternoon did you Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I let him out!” Harry said irritably. “He spent most of the day sleeping at the Leaky Cauldron because he spent most of last night bouncing on his bed.”

Dobby led them along the country lane to a fence that surrounded a hilly pasture. They followed the fence until they came to a stile next to a gnarly old tree. Then Dobby showed them a piece of parchment with some pictures on it. There was a reasonably good likeness of Lucius Malfoy standing next to the opening of a mine, a stylized path with footprints and a picture of this stile next to the gnarly tree.

“This picture was drawn by the elf secret keeper at the mine,” Dobby said. “It’s used by elves that are making deliveries to the mine.”

There was a large partially wooded hill in the pasture beyond the fence. Sheep stood out as white shapes in the moonlight. Dobby climbed over the stile and vanished. A few moments later Dobby’s head appeared above the fence.

“Tis safe to climb the fence, Dobby sees no one here,” Dobby reported.

Harry climbed the stile and hopped over the fence, passing through a magical barrier that concealed the mine. On the other side of the fence there was a rocky mountain that was at least twice as tall as the illusory hill in the nonexistent pasture. Harry saw the opening of a small tunnel that led into the mountain near a pile of gravel. Looking back, Harry saw Kingsley Shacklebolt levitating the trunk over the fence. When the trunk was mid-way above the stile, Harry caught it with his own levitating spell and lowered it to the ground beside him. A few moments later Hermione fell to the ground in front of the stile.

“Ooff,” she grunted.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked her as he helped her up.

“I just slipped off the stile,” she whispered.

“Where’s Shacklebolt?” Harry whispered.

“He’ll wait by the tree,” Hermione explained. “We can’t bring an Auror onto Mr. Malfoy’s property. That would break the deal we made with the mine-elves.”

They advanced to the shadow of the pile of mine tailings.

“Dobby, we’re not going into that pit,” Harry whispered. “Have some of your relatives come out here and we’ll give them the supplies.”

Dobby disappeared down the mine. Harry and Hermione huddled next to the trunk in the darkness, their wands ready.

Several minutes later a couple of elves came out of the mine pushing a cart that was heavily laden with gravel. Dobby was with them. The elves quietly greeted Harry and Hermione, dumped the gravel on the tailing pile and loaded up the cart with the blankets, food and medicine. The mine-elves each gave Dobby a quick hug, shook Harry’s hand and pushed the cart back into the mine. Harry, Hermione and Dobby cautiously scrambled back to the stile. When Hermione was safely on the other side, Harry levitated the trunk over to Shacklebolt. Harry took one last look back at the mountain and the tiny opening to the mine. Then he climbed over the fence himself. Looking back he saw the pasture and the sheep. Then Dobby appeared out of thin air clambering down the stile.

They mounted their brooms and flew to Salisbury, but the railway station was dark and deserted. The next passenger train to London didn’t depart until morning so they flew along the railway to a freight yard where they boarded an empty goods wagon on an east bound train. They arrived exhausted at the Leaky Cauldron at a little past four. Tom was a bit grouchy about letting them in at that hour but Kingsley Shacklebolt was not someone to be pushed around.

Harry, Hermione and Susan Bones spent most of Sunday at St. Mungo’s Hospital reading to Mr. Lockhart. It was Harry’s strongly held opinion that their time would have been better spent studying for their classes, or reading about the Gold Serpent Staff, or studying defensive spells, or practicing Sympathetic Magic, or flying brooms, or patronizing Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor, or playing Wizard’s Chess or sleeping. Especially sleeping, that would have been very nice. Harry regarded Dr. Pye’s novel attempt to construct a memory for Lockhart as very unlikely to work and even less likely to turn out to be a good thing. At least he got to be with Hermione. And Susan said it had been the most productive and least stressful weekend of the project.

Hermione was positively beaming on Monday morning. She was happy about the progress they had made with Mr. Lockhart. She was happy about the successful and safe delivery of the relief supplies to the mine-elves. She was happy that Harry was on the train with her. Mostly she was happy because she had gotten a letter from her parents that had Muggle airliner tickets in it. But she couldn’t talk about that in front of Susan.


“Did you see the schedule for end of term exams!” Ron complained as they escorted Susan Bones to the hospital after dinner that evening. “The Potions exam is the first thing! It’s next Monday morning! Why couldn’t that one be later in the week?”

“Maybe we could ask Dumbledore to reschedule it for later in the week,” Harry suggested.

“There’s not much chance of that happening, I don’t think you should bother trying,” Hermione said. “You’ll just have to start studying now.”

“If we all asked Dumbledore, he might make the change. I’m sure he wants us to do well on our Potions exam,” Ron said.

“We could start talking to other people in the class and…” Harry started to say. But he was interrupted by a jerk on his arm from Hermione.

“No,” she whispered to him sharply. “I asked Dumbledore to move it forward to Monday and he agreed to do it!”

“I think it’s better to just get the Potions exam out of the way early so we don’t have to worry about it,” Hermione said to Ron.

“I tend to agree with Ron,” Susan said. “I could use a few more days to study for that one.”

“But maybe we shouldn’t bother Dumbledore,” Harry said.

“What?” Ron exclaimed. “I thought you were with me!”

“Dumbledore has a lot on his mind, we shouldn’t bother him with trivial things like rescheduling exams,” Harry said looking at Hermione.


After Susan was safely escorted to the hospital, Harry, Ron and Hermione returned to Gryffindor Tower. When they arrived at the portrait of the fat lady Hermione and Harry let Ron go in first while they stayed in the hall to talk.

“Discussing your Ministerial Secret again?” Ron asked, smiling as if it was a joke.

“As a matter of fact it is a secret. Thank you for escorting us Ron,” Hermione said.

“What’s up,” Harry asked Hermione when Ron had gone through the door.

“Professor Snape’s exam won’t be our first exam this term it will be our last one,” Hermione said. “We’re going to take our exams early, on Saturday evening and Sunday.”

“That’s horrible!” Harry complained. “Why are we doing that?”

“You and I are going to start our Christmas vacation a bit early. We leave Hogwarts on the train next Monday afternoon,” Hermione explained. “It should help keep the Death Eaters from bothering us while we travel.”

“I get so tired of feeling like we’re being stalked by murderers every minute of every day,” Harry said.

“I know Harry, some days I just want to be able to go to the library without an escort,” she agreed. “But Malfoy and his gang tried to murder you on the Hogwarts Express last summer.”

“And they tried to murder you in the Girls’ room,” Harry said.

“But there’s a bright side. By leaving early we’ll get to spend two whole weeks in Canada!” Hermione pointed out. “And we both really need a good vacation.”

“So what’s the plan for this evening?” Harry asked “Should we relax, read a novel, sit on the sofa together with your head in my lap so I can run my fingers through your hair, or should we study.”

“Here’s a copy of our exam schedules,” she said showing Harry her personal planning calendar. “All of our teachers are letting us take our exams early and in secret, except Professor Snape. He hasn’t been told we’re leaving early.”

“Bloody hell,” Harry said looking at the schedule.


“The plan is to put the Veritaserum into a pastry and make sure that one of Malfoy’s gang eats it,” Ron explained later that night. “Then we question him in public and get him to confess to attacking Hermione in front of witnesses. Shacklebolt will have to arrest the lot of them and Hogwarts will be a safer place.”

“When are we going to do it?” Harry asked. “I don’t want Hermione to be there, it might upset her. And the rest of Malfoy’s gang might react badly when one of them confesses in public. It might cause a riot.”

“It has to be Wednesday at dinner,” Ron said. “Tuesday and Thursday we have Quidditch practice and won’t be able to set it up, on Friday it’s chess, on Saturday there’s a Quidditch match between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw and we can’t predict how long that will last.”

“Wednesday’s not good. It’s the last S.P.E.W. meeting of the term,” Harry pointed out.

“So we miss a night of practicing spells,” Ron quipped.

“It’s not the practice, it’s the Elf Welfare stuff,” Harry explained. “Hermione will want to report on the successful relief mission. And we have to start on the Elf Bill of Rights and make sure we’re completely organized because next term, Shacklebolt won’t be here.”

“Has Dumbledore found a permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor?” Ron asked.

“Yeah, but if I told you who it is, you wouldn’t believe me,” Harry replied.

“Try me,” Ron said.

“Gilderoy Lockhart,” Harry deadpanned. “They’re trying to fix his brain so he really believes that he can fight Dark Creatures.”

“You’re right! I don’t believe you,” Ron gasped. “Whoa, we have to expose Malfoy’s gang before Shacklebolt leaves! How about next Monday?”

“Since you’re in on the secret, I’ll let you in on the secret,” Harry said. “Hermione and I are taking exams early and leaving on Monday afternoon.”

“We can’t wait until next term!” Ron exclaimed.

Ron thought for a few moments.

“I’ll pull it off when you two are gone” Ron finally said. “That way, if it causes a riot you won’t get into trouble.”

“But you’ll get into trouble,” Harry said.

“I’m a Prefect. I shouldn’t be getting into trouble,” Ron said. “I’ll let Dennis Creevy do the dirty work. He’s aching to do some grand prank.”


On the following Monday afternoon Harry and Hermione sneaked out of the castle under the cover of Harry’s invisibility cloak and took the secret passage from the Whomping Willow to the Shrieking Shack. At four PM the London train pulled out of Hogsmeade station and Harry and Hermione began to relax a little. They watched the highlands roll past as the train headed south. They walked to the dining car while the train made a short stop in Edinburgh.

Dennis consulted the Marauder’s Map. Malfoy and his gang were creatures of habit. They were sitting in their usual places.

“Put the tray there,” he directed the kitchen elves.

The house-elves were nervous about this. It was bad form for house-elves to poison a student, but George nodded his head. They placed the tray of pastries on the enchanted table directly beneath the Slytherin table.


“This soup is delicious,” Hermione said.

“The bread’s good too,” Harry added.

”The tray for Malfoy’s gang had no cakes with yellow frosting and exactly one blue cake,” Dennis reported to Ron as he returned to his seat in the Great Hall. “Yes! They’ve got it!”

“Who’s taking the blue cake?” Ron asked.

“It’s Goyle,” Dennis reported gleefully.

“Perfect,” Ron said smugly.


“Do you think your parents will be able to understand what’s happened between us?” Harry asked Hermione over dessert.

“Magical Marriage? I don’t think so,” she said.

”I think it’s totally unfair that the Girls’ toilets are so much nicer than the Boys’ toilets!” Dennis argued loudly so his voice would carry over to the Slytherin table.

“And what makes you think the Girls’ toilets are nicer than the Boys’ toilets?” Ginny Weasley asked loudly.

“Well they are nicer” Dennis stated. “The Girls’ room has brighter paint and it’s not peeling too much, and they’ve got a little table with silk flowers on it, and a chair!”

“And when did you become an expert on the decorations of Girls’ toilets?” Ginny challenged him.


“Do you think they would understand this?” Harry asked Hermione as he handed her a small box.

”Laugh at me will you? Well, you don’t know a thing about Girls’ toilets because you’ve never had the guts to go in one and look for yourself,” Dennis taunted Colin. “Where’s your spirit of adventure? Hey Longbottom! Have you ever been in a Girls’ toilet?”

“Not on purpose,” Neville said turning red. “It was an honest mistake, I was lost.”

“Mistakes don’t count! It doesn’t take any guts to get confused,” Dennis said proudly.

“Dennis you are really being obnoxious!” Ginny huffed.

“How many boys have had the guts to peek into a Girls’ toilet?” Dennis asked loudly.”


“Oh Harry it’s beautiful,” Hermione said happily as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

They held each other tight and kissed as the train crossed over a bridge.

”Hey Goyle!” Dennis shouted at the Slytherin table. “Have you ever been in a Girls’ toilet?”

“Yes,” Goyle replied.


“Who’s meeting us at King’s Cross Station?” Harry asked Hermione.

“Bill and Fleur Weasley will be there” she answered. “We’ll spend the night at their flat and fly out of Heathrow in the morning.”

“Are there any special plans when we get to Vancouver?” Harry asked.

”Hey Goyle!” Dennis asked loudly. “Did you go into a Girls’ toilet and beat up Hermione?”

“Yes,” Goyle replied.


“We can go shopping!” Hermione said brightly. “And we’ll have a nice quiet Christmas with my parents. And we’ll drive to Banff for a few days.”

“What’s Banff?” Harry asked.

“It’s in the mountains. There are ski resorts there!” she replied enthusiastically.

The Great Hall suddenly became a lot quieter, but Dennis still spoke loudly.

“Who helped you beat up Hermione, Goyle?” Dennis asked.

“SILENCIO!” Draco Malfoy shouted, pointing his wand at Goyle.

The alarm bell began to ring.


“Is skiing really your thing?” Harry asked.

“I love to ski,” Hermione said smiling.

“I’ve never been on skis,” Harry said.

“Any husband of mine has to be able to ski,” Hermione said bluntly.

Theodore Nott and Vincent Crabbe both pulled out their wands and shot hexes at Dennis but he was expecting that and hit the deck. Nott’s spell caused a second year Ravenclaw girl to start throwing up her dinner. Crabbe’s spell knocked a tray of cupcakes, two pitchers of juice and a bowl of peas off the Hufflepuff table. Wands were appearing everywhere. Malfoy took aim at Ginny Weasley. Dennis pulled out a bamboo wand with two purple stripes.

“But I don’t know how to ski,” Harry said.

“I’ll teach you to love it,” Hermione assured him.

“Well as long as it’s not too fast,” Harry said uneasily.

“You’ll like the moguls, we’ll start on one of the black trails,” Hermione grinned.

Hexes were flying all over the Great Hall. Students were dancing uncontrollably or falling down. Some were as stiff as boards, some had huge teeth, others were spitting out slugs, many were wandering around aimlessly. Wands were flying through the air. Pansey Parkinson was being tormented by bat boggies. Justin Finch-Fletchley was naked. Cindy Chambers was standing next to him and covering her eyes.

“Is this revenge for the broom flying thing?” Harry asked nervously.

“Would I do a thing like that?” Hermione asked innocently.

The train roared into the midlands.
Chapter 20 The Spring Term by king
Chapter 20 The Spring Term

Christmas break was over and Harry and Hermione stood on Platform Nine and three-quarters waiting to board the Hogwarts Express.

“You two picked a good time to leave last term,” Shacklebolt told them. “I’ve never seen anything like that riot in the Great Hall. It was worse than the Great Halloween Ball Food Fight of 1975.”

The tall black Auror shook his head and pressed a rolled up copy of the Daily Prophet into Harry’s hand.

“During the course of the investigation after the riot, I noticed that Hermione’s wand wasn’t registered with the security system,” Shacklebolt said. “I took care of it. I removed the controls on your wand Harry and I entered two bamboo wands with your names on them into the security system. Now both you and Hermione can use your wands without setting off the alarm. If you need a teacher, just use one of the bamboo wands in that newspaper I just gave you. Keep them with you. They’re loaded with Shield charms. Don’t tell anyone what I did and don’t abuse this privilege.”

“Thank you Mr. Shacklebolt,” Harry said. “We won’t pull any silly pranks on the other students.”

Harry glanced at the bamboo wands concealed in the newspaper. One was labeled Mr. H. Potter, the other Mrs. H. Potter .

“And if you two need any help with S.P.E.W. just send me an owl,” Shacklebolt added. “Please do not attempt to visit any mines, factories or homes belonging to dark wizards without contacting me first. Maybe house-elves will help us find Voldemort but they could just as easily set up a trap for you, so be cautious. Contact me when you’ve written the Elf Bill of Rights, I’ll help you find a sponsor in the Wizengamot. And don’t be surprised if there’s a backlash. Many wizards that own house-elves will get angry about S.P.E.W.”

“Mr. Shacklebolt, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?” Harry asked.

“Alright, you may ask your question but I reserve the right to refuse to answer,” Shacklebolt said with a smile.

“Why do you care about S.P.E.W.?”

“I care about S.P.E.W. because it’s the right thing to do,” he replied. “Pushing for Elf Rights is a divisive issue and you’ll hear some people say this is not a good time to bring it up. But slavery is wrong. It’s not fair to the elves and it’s not good for wizards.”


Harry and Hermione boarded the train and found a compartment with Neville Longbottom.

“How was your Christmas vacation?” Neville asked.

“It was wonderful,” Hermione said. “Dumbledore found some nice people for us to stay with and we got to go skiing.”

“So what happened at school after we left?” Harry asked. “I heard there was some sort of trouble.”

“The evening that you two disappeared, there was a riot in the Great Hall at dinner,” Neville said. “Dennis was talking about peeking into Girls’ bathrooms and suddenly he tricked Gregory Goyle into admitting that he had helped beat up Hermione! Then Malfoy cast a Silencing charm on Goyle, the alarm went off and everybody started hexing and jinxing and it was a frightful mess.”

“Gregory Goyle admitted in public that he beat me up?” Hermione exclaimed in disbelief. “Was there some sort of spell on him? Was he telling the truth or was he Confunded?”

“I don’t know what Goyle was thinking,” Neville said. “But the riot was really something! Shacklebolt pulled out a shiny metal baton and suddenly all of our wands went dead. The fighting continued because a lot of students had bamboo wands and other enchanted stuff,” Neville said. “The students that didn’t have magical items just started throwing food, or plates and stuff.”

“That’s horrible!” Hermione exclaimed. “I’m glad we missed it. It must have been terribly embarrassing to Professor Dumbledore.”

“The Ministry of Magic staged an inquiry into the riot,” Neville reported. They exonerated Dumbledore but it caused a bit of a stink. Dumbledore stopped the riot by immobilizing the entire room, but there was a delay because he was disarmed by an Expelliarmus from a bamboo wand.”

“Dumbledore was disarmed by a charm from a bamboo wand?” Harry exclaimed in disbelief.

“Well it caught him by surprise because it wasn’t aimed at him,” Neville explained. “But he got his wand back pretty quick. You’re not the only wizard that can do wandless summoning. Anyway he got us all frozen so the riot stopped. We were all searched and the teachers took away all of our enchanted stuff. They searched our dormitories too but they didn’t find illegal stuff in our rooms.”

“That’s good,” Harry stated.

“Maybe it was a bit too good,” Neville said doubtfully. “They found bamboo wands and talismans and enchanted stuff in nearly every bedroom in every house except for Gryffindor. We didn’t have any banned items.”

“That might seem a bit suspicious,” Hermione said sarcastically .

“Especially since about three quarters of the illegal items confiscated in the Great Hall came from Gryffindor students,” Neville added.

“It almost seems like it was planned,” Hermione said giving Harry an accusatory look.

“Was anyone punished?” Harry asked. “I heard that Mr. Filch got to whip several boys last semester for one thing or another.”

“Nobody got whipped or anything like that,” Neville stated.

“Dennis didn’t get whipped?” Harry wondered.

“I heard he had his mouth washed out with soap and he had to spend an evening cleaning sinks and johns,” Neville said. “But that just made him boast that he never flinched from the taste of the soap and he got the johns real shiny. And he says the girls’ toilets are nicer than the boys’.”

“Did anyone else get in trouble?” Harry asked.

“The official inquiry blamed the Slytherins for starting the riot,” Neville reported. “That silver baton showed that the first half-dozen or so spells came from the Slytherins. Of course, the baton didn’t record spells that came from unregistered items like bamboo wands. The witness reports supported the idea that the Slytherin boys started the riot, but they all ran away.”

“What do you mean by: they all ran away?” Harry asked. “Did Malfoy’s gang run out of the Great Hall during the riot?”

“Malfoy’s gang was frozen during the riot like the rest of us, but afterwards when we were all sent back to our rooms they ran away from Hogwarts!” Neville said. “Draco Malfoy, Theodore Nott, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, plus Miles Bletchley and Adrian Pucey and a couple of other guys were gone on Tuesday morning. They must have left Hogwarts in the middle of the night. We didn’t see them for the rest of the week. They skipped their exams.”

“They got away!” Harry exclaimed in disgust. “I was hoping they would get arrested and sent to Azkaban.”

“Harry Potter! Did you plan that riot?” Hermione snapped.

“Oh no dear! I wouldn’t do a thing like that” Harry said defensively. “It was Ron’s plan. He’s the chess player. We didn’t want a riot. Malfoy and his friends started the riot. We were hoping to get those bastards arrested.”

“And you thought they’d just go quietly!” Hermione said sarcastically.

“I didn’t want you there when it happened,” Harry said quietly. “I thought they might attack you again.”

“I think it’s a good thing,” Neville interjected. “If Malfoy and his gang are chucked out of school we won’t have to worry about being attacked by them this term.”

“But where will they go if they’re not in school?” Hermione asked sadly. “They’ll run to Lord Voldemort!” she answered her own question. “This will turn a bunch of school yard bullies into hardened criminals. And for every Death Eater that the Ministry of Magic executed last term, there is now a new one to take his place.”

“But Neville’s right,” Harry said. “Hogwarts will be a safer place without them.”

At that moment the door of the compartment opened and Ginny Weasley came in, followed by Luna Lovegood and Ron.

“Hermione and Harry! I thought I heard your voices,” Ginny said with a smile. “How was your Christmas vacation? Bill told us you went somewhere on a Muggle airplane!” She looked over at Neville and gave him a wink. Neville turned red.

“We had a wonderful vacation,” Hermione said happily. “Dumbledore sent us to be with some very nice people and we got to relax and go skiing.”

“You went skiing?” Ron said, looking at Harry in surprise. “She made you slide down a hill with boards on your feet?”

“She spent the first hour of the airplane flight telling me about how wonderful skiing is,” Harry began. “Then she sticks her nose in a spell book and starts studying! I wondered why she had to study on the first day of our vacation, but I didn’t bother her. When she fell asleep I looked at the book. It was: Healing Bones in a Snap.”

“It came in handy didn’t it,” Hermione said rolling her eyes.

“But it’s not straight! Look at this Ron,” Harry said rolling up his sleeves.

“I see what you mean,” Ron said analytically. “There’s a little bit of curvature in the right arm.”

“It’s not that bad!” Hermione said defensively. “I had to rush the job. The ski patrol was coming. They would have taken Harry to a Muggle hospital and spoiled the rest of the day. And I told you twenty times, Madam Pomfrey will be able to straighten it out.”

“What’s that on your finger?” Luna asked Hermione.

Suddenly the conversation turned to the diamond ring Hermione was wearing and the romantic dinner on the train and the boys just shut up and let the girls talk.


A few hours later they were sitting at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall for the banquet that marked the start of spring term. There were some empty seats at the tables. Almost a third of the Slytherin students were gone with at least three dozen empty seats. There were about ten missing students at the Ravenclaw table, a half dozen at the Hufflepuff table and even a few unoccupied chairs at the Gryffindor table. Some of the missing students had run off to join Lord Voldemort but most had been kept home by nervous parents. A few had transferred to Beauxbatons or Durmstrang.

“Oh look! Mr. Lockhart and Mr. Lupin are both at the teacher’s table!” Hermione observed as she waved at them.

Dumbledore made a few welcoming remarks that stressed the need for school unity and strict discipline and he announced there would be tryouts for the Slytherin Quidditch team. They were looking for a new seeker, and a new keeper, and two beaters and of course three chasers also. Then the food appeared.

“Porridge?” Hermione said in surprise.

“It’s very healthy,” Ginny said. “They added all of the vitamins and stuff we really need, and it’ll keep you from over eating.”

“It’s not too horrible,” Hermione decided after taking a bite.

“It gets old after a week,” Neville said. “I not sure I’m going to make it through a whole month.”

“It’s only twenty-five days now,” Ron reminded him. “We ate this for five days before the end of last term.”

“That will take care of the pound I gained over Christmas break,” Hermione said.

“It’s worth it to be rid of Malfoy and his gang,” Harry said taking a bite. “Well… maybe…” he added.


The month of January passed fairly quietly. Remus Lupin stayed at Hogwarts for two weeks helping Professor Lockhart adjust to being a teacher instead of a patient and to get the Defense Against the Dark Arts curriculum in order. He also drilled Lockhart on casting defensive spells. He would have stayed longer because Lockhart could have used more help, but when the Moon was full it was time for Lupin to go.

“Harry, I know you don’t like Mr. Lockhart, but he needs your support,” Lupin told him. “He’s already doing a good job with the first through third year students. He has a good theoretical background and he’s a passable teacher. But I admit he’s better at describing how to do the spells than actually casting them. He can do simple defensive spells but he’s hopeless at the Patronus charm. His happy memories are just not powerful enough.”

“That’s because his memories aren’t real,” Harry said bluntly. “His books are fiction.”

“Yes, but give him a chance to develop a new life that’s real,” Lupin urged. “Lockhart might become a decent instructor when he develops his new personality a bit. In the meantime I want you to help the advanced students learn some of the more complicated spells. And practice the Patronus charm. You-Know-Who still has Dementor allies.”

Ron eased up on the security procedures and Harry got to walk around the castle alone sometimes. He continued to get up early to escort Hermione from the hospital to Gryffindor Tower even if Ron slept in. One morning he found Hermione crying. A house-elf had given birth in the night but the baby had died.

The Dueling Club became a serious place as Harry felt he could teach more spells in the absence of the Slytherins that were likely to be spies for Lord Voldemort. Mr. Lockhart took over as the sponsor of S.P.E.W. because Kingsley Shacklebolt had asked him to do it. Lockhart didn’t know what a house-elf was but he needed to practice defensive spells as much as any of Harry’s friends. He really was hopeless at summoning a Patronus.


Gryffindor defeated Hufflepuff in the January Quidditch match. This hadn’t happened since Harry was in his second year. Harry didn’t want his friends in Hufflepuff to feel bad so he made sure they were invited to the victory party and given plenty of Butterbeer.


Throughout the month Harry found it difficult to find time to be alone with Hermione, or even to just be with her at all. On Monday evenings she had special lessons with Professor McGonagall. On Wednesday evenings it was S.P.E.W. On Friday evenings it was the Dueling Club. There was nursing duty on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings. And there were reading lessons for the house-elves on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. But she had scheduled an hour each week in her personal planning calendar just after house-elf reading lessons to relax with Harry.

Hermione was stretched out on the sofa in the Gryffindor common room late on Sunday afternoon. Her head was cradled in Harry’s lap while he ran his fingers through her long hair.

“I think Mr. Lockhart would be more successful at summoning a Patronus if he had a real happy memory he could focus on,” she said thoughtfully.

“You spend the time that we’ve scheduled to relax together trying to solve Lockhart’s problems?” Harry said a bit miffed.

“I was just thinking about happy thoughts,” Hermione sighed. “I think I could summon a good Patronus right now,” she said as she smiled up at Harry. “Mr. Lockhart needs someone who really loves him. Not just a fan, fans can be frightening.”

“You’re not going to try to find a girlfriend for Gilderoy Lockhart are you?” Harry asked.

“Don’t stop playing with my hair, it feels nice,” Hermione ordered.

“That’s better,” she said smiling and closing her eyes. “I think…OOOOMPH!” she cried as Crookshanks jumped onto her stomach.


And while things settled down a bit in Hogwarts, the headlines in The Daily Prophet kept reminding the students that the war against Lord Voldemort was continuing:

Dementors Attack Wizards at Party in Sheffield
A relaxing evening of Gobstones turned to horror when a dozen Dementors attacked…

Death Head Appears in Nottingham
Vance home attacked…

Debate Over Hiring Half-Breeds Brings Down French Minister of Magic
The recent murder of Madame Maxime, headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy, increased the fury of the debate that surrounded her original hiring. Many were opposed to the hiring of a half-giantess in the first place…”

You-Know-Who Seen in Hawick “ 2 Dead


On the first day of February an important notice appeared on the bulletin board:

Attention Boys of Hogwarts

It has come to our attention that the riot that occurred during exam week last term was not started by girls. Nevertheless we also had to eat porridge for a month as punishment. Therefore we demand that our boyfriends take us out for a nice lunch on the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend. Furthermore we demand that the boys of Hogwarts treat that Saturday as though it was St. Valentine’s day, which falls on the following Sunday.

The Girls of Hogwarts


Harry thought the handwriting looked awfully familiar but half of the girls in the school claimed to have written the notice.


The first Sunday in February was overcast and cold but Hermione had convinced Harry to go for a walk among the snow covered pine trees behind Hagrid’s cottage.

“You’re wondering why I dragged you out here in the cold,” Hermione said.

“I know why we’re here,” Harry said. “The snow on the pine trees reminds you of Banff. It’s romantic and you wanted me to kiss you.”

“That’s not it!” she said giggling as Harry held her and tried to kiss her on the neck. “We came out here so I could talk to you without being overheard. I have something serious to say… Stop that!” She shrieked as Harry tried to unbutton her coat. “I want to talk about babies.”

That stopped Harry faster than a well cast Petrificus Totalus Full Body Bind.

“We… We can’t have a proper wedding until I’m eighteen,” Harry stammered. “And even then… Wouldn’t it be good for you and me to spend a year or two… or ten… getting to know each other better before we start talking about babies?”

“I’m not talking about our babies,” Hermione said rolling her eyes. “I said this was serious.”

“I’m glad that is not a serious issue,” Harry said in relief.

“Waiting to have sex is as hard on me as it is on you Harry,” Hermione said in a huff. “I’m talking about elves.”

“Of course you’re talking about elves. How silly of me. I was just confused by my belief that this was our time to relax together,” Harry said to the trees.

“Please don’t be angry at me Harry,” she pleaded. “Dobby’s family needs our help. His sister-in-law just had a baby. That poor child is doomed to grow up in the mine unless we can rescue him.”

“You want to rescue a baby from Malfoy’s mine?” Harry said dubiously. “The mine-elves are Malfoy’s property. Snatching a baby would be stealing. We could get in big trouble!”

“Dobby’s brother and sister-in-law have been hiding their baby but they won’t be able to keep that up for long,” Hermione began. “Amy, she’s a Hogwarts house-elf, had a baby about two weeks ago. But her baby died. We have to take Amy’s baby to the mine and bring back Dobby’s nephew. Amy will raise him at Hogwarts.”

“And you are determined to rescue this baby,” Harry sighed. “It’s going to be complicated. We have to hide our absence, and go all of the way to Cornwall and back.”

“We can do it Tuesday night,” Hermione said. “Madam Pomfrey will cover for me.”


It was well past midnight in the wee hours of Wednesday when Harry followed Hermione across the deserted country lane in Eastern Cornwall. He looked back past the gnarly tree in time to see Dobby scrambling down the stile. The pasture looked so deceivingly peaceful and real. They had survived a second foray into Malfoy’s mine, this time actually entering the tunnel a few yards. Harry mounted Tenebrus and took the baby elf from Hermione. He held the thestral’s reins with one hand and Dobby’s nephew with the other. Now all they had to do was to endure another freezing three hour flight back to Hogwarts. Hermione and Dobby mounted Scaliwag and they were off.

Madam Pomfrey greeted Harry and Hermione at the window of the hospital with cups of hot tea and Frostbite Healing Lotion. She cooed and made over the baby elf almost as much as she had cried about Amy’s baby. When she was satisfied that the baby was healthy and dry she let Dobby take him down to the kitchen to Amy. Then she made Harry and Hermione go to bed in the hospital. She woke them up just in time to grab a quick breakfast before Potions class.


On the following Wednesday evening the members of S.P.E.W. settled on the provisions of a House-Elf Bill of Rights. They did not call for the outright emancipation of the house-elves, but they did call for measures that would probably upset some of the more conservative elf owners.

We the members of the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare hold that House-Elves deserve to be treated with kindness and love as faithful servants and family members. This in recognition of the hard work they and their ancestors have done, and in recognition of their capacity to have feelings as complex as our own. For the sake of the physical well being of House-Elves and the spiritual well being of Wizards, the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare urges the Wizengamot to adopt into law the following provisions describing:

The Basic Rights of Elves

- Elves should not be beaten, shaken, starved or otherwise harshly punished without a compelling reason.

- Elves in servitude should be provided with sufficient food to prevent hunger. Said food should be nutritionally balanced and of good quality.

- Elves that are aged, sick, debilitated or bearing a child should not be assigned dangerous or strenuous work.

- Elves in servitude should be provided with shelter from the elements and a comfortable bed with a pillow and a blanket when the weather is cold.

- Elves should have the right to see the sky and to experience the beauty of nature on a daily basis, weather permitting.

- Elves should have the right to attend important rituals such as funerals and weddings when it involves members of their immediate family.

- Elves that show an interest in learning to read, write and work with numbers should not be prohibited from doing so.

- The Ministry of Magic should set aside an area of magically protected land where freed elves can live without fear of being pressed into involuntary servitude.


The students of S.P.E.W. signed the document and sent a copy to Mr. Shacklebolt in hopes that he could convince a friend to introduce the bill before the Wizengamot.


Harry finally managed to get Hermione out on a proper date during the Hogsmeade weekend. He had the Valentine’s Day card and the flowers and he took her to Chang’s for a nice Chinese lunch. But of course, romance was not the only order of business that Saturday. She had a mission to accomplish! Specifically, the Create a Happy Thought for Gilderoy Lockhart mission.

“I am not sweet on Professor Lockhart!” Hermione insisted. “You are my one and only and I am devoted to you, Harry Potter. But we would be safer if the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor at Hogwarts could cast a Patronus spell.”

“But this does not add to the romance of the day,” Harry complained, holding up a squirming brown bundle of fur.

“Of course he does!” she argued. “Puppies are very romantic! And he’s adorable. Aren’t you little fellow,” she said sweetly, as she held her face close enough to the puppy to get licked.

“But he peed on me!” Harry exclaimed.

“He’s just a baby and whining is not romantic,” Hermione said. “Tough it out. You can change as soon as we’ve delivered the puppy to Mr. Lockhart. Oh, isn’t he so cute?” she cooed as she took the puppy from Harry.

“You’re the cute one,” Harry said to Hermione. “You look so beautiful when you’re making over babies and puppies and things. I think I’ll give you a hug!”

“Harry! UCK! You’re wet!” she complained.

“Tough it out. You can change as soon as we’ve delivered the puppy to Mr. Lockhart,” Harry told her grinning.


Harry’s Quidditch season ended in February. Normally the match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw was scheduled to be the last one of the year. But since the Slytherin team had no returning veterans from the previous term, they needed more practice. Gryffindor played Ravenclaw in February and Slytherin met Ravenclaw in April. Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw because Harry caught the Snitch, though Cho was close.

(Cho was in fact close enough to make Hermione a little bit jealous. “I had to grab hold of her when we bumped into each other or we would have both fallen off our brooms!” Harry said defensively.)

When Harry grasped the Snitch, Gryffindor clinched the Quidditch cup. The rest of the season would pit the inexperienced Slytherin team against Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. The only thing left to bet on was the point spread.


The early end of Gryffindor’s Quidditch season meant that Harry had more time to study: defensive spells, offensive spells, the search for the Gold Serpent Staff, and the dark nature of Lord Voldemort. Harry found this depressing.

Over the course of the term, headlines in The Daily Prophet gave Harry additional subjects to ponder:

Where Are The Children Now?
A Dozen Hogwarts Students Join You-Know-Who

Death Eaters Attack International Healer’s Meeting at St. Mungo’s
2 Germans, Norwegian and Pole Killed

Muggle Scientific Journals Note Increasing Number of Suicides
Stock Market Blamed For Dementors’ Actions

Umbridge Still at Large Months After Shrub’s Death
Americans Complain About Lack of Progress

Diggory Narrowly Survives Vote of No Confidence
Massive Appropriations for Secret Project Questioned

Department of Magical Law Enforcement Admits
More Death Eaters Now Than One Year Ago

Peter Pettigrew Seen in Hogsmeade



As the term went by, it became even more difficult to find time for Harry and Hermione to be alone together. Apparation lessons and homework took up a chunk of their limited time. Hermione worked daily with a dozen house-elves that were learning to read. She was also helping Dumbledore write a paper for The Journal of Magical Education that shattered the long held belief that elves were not intelligent enough to learn to read.

Harry spent more and more time alone. It was up to him to stop Lord Voldemort. What if he couldn’t find the Gold Serpent Staff? What if the plan to build a Silver prison fell through? He often just hovered on his broom, watching the sun set.

But Harry didn’t spend all of his time brooding on Lord Voldemort, there were some cheerful thoughts. By the end of the term Hermione seemed to have lost her fear of flying on a broom. Most of his friends that met in S.P.E.W. on Wednesday evenings could cast a Patronus and some of the kids in the Dueling Club had also learned to do this. Ron’s Patronus was a tough little terrier, it was cool. Sometimes, especially towards the end of the term, a white dove would land on his broom or his shoulder or his head. The bird was playful and it cheered him up, but he hoped Hedwig didn’t become jealous. He failed to notice that this usually happened on Monday.


Summer break arrived. In order to maintain the spell that protected Number Four Privet Drive, Harry had to return there. He did not want to explain to Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia that he had to visit Mrs. Figg’s house every day to see the girl with the bushy brown hair that was visiting her. Harry and Hermione would leave Little Whinging as soon as possible to seek the Gold Serpent Staff.

Harry stood with Hermione on the platform at the Hogsmeade railway station waiting for the Hogwarts Express. It was warm and muggy but looked like it could start raining at any minute. The train that would take them to London was inexplicably fifteen minutes late. Ron and Ginny were chatting with Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom. Groups of Harry’s friends were scattered in the crowd of students. A bunch of first and second year girls were making over Professor Lockhart and his dog.

As the stately red train finally pulled into the station, many students moved to the front of the platform. Harry and Hermione stayed back a bit. They were in no hurry to board the train because they didn’t really want to go to Little Whinging. Harry noticed that some of the coach windows had frosted glass. Wouldn’t that make it difficult to see out?
Was it ice on the coach windows?
Chapter 21 Dancing With Dementors by king
Chapter 21 Dancing with Dementors!

Harry knew something was wrong, as the Hogwarts Express braked to a stop at the platform of the railway station in Hogsmeade. Why was the train late? Why were some of the windows frosty? Why was his stomach knotted up? He pulled out his wand and wrapped his left arm around Hermione’s waist.

“What’s wrong Harry?” Hermione asked nervously, as she took hold of his left hand with her left hand, pulled out her wand and moved as close to him as possible.

“BACK AWAY FROM THE TRAIN!” Harry shouted at the crowd of students.
“WANDS OUT!”

Most of the students ignored him but some looked at him in curiosity. When they saw the look on his face and the wand in his hand some did take out their own wands.

The doors of the carriages opened and a blast of ice-cold wind swept across the platform. Students began to back away from the train.

“USE THE PATRONUS CHARM!” Harry shouted.

Dementors floated out of the carriages and into the crowd of students. Screaming and pandemonium broke out up and down the platform. Children dropped their bags and pets and ran, many tripping and falling.

EXPECTO PATRONUM! Harry shouted.

A great shining hart leapt from Harry’s wand and charged down the closest Dementor.

Ron’s silver terrier appeared beside him and attacked another Dementor. Several of Harry’s friends who had mastered the Patronus charm were helping to repel the dementors. Cho had conjured her swan, Justin a bull, Terry Boot a fox and Parvati Patil a Mongoose.

Where was Hermione’s otter? Why wasn’t she helping to fight the Dementors?

Protego! Protego! Protego! Hermione shouted. Flashes from three spells bounced off Harry and back towards the Death Eaters that had cast them. “Harry!” she screamed, “Death Eaters!”

Harry saw two Death Eaters, Lucius Malfoy and another man (Travers?) aiming their wands at him and Hermione.

“Duck!” Harry shouted as he pulled Hermione down behind their luggage. Two blasts of green light struck the luggage pile. “You get Malfoy,” Harry told Hermione.

Harry and Hermione stood up simultaneously and shouted, “Expelliarmus!

Travers lost his wand but Malfoy’s wand flew only a short distance and stopped. It was chained to his wrist.

Dementors began to close in. Lockhart’s dog ran to Harry and Hermione and cowered behind them. Lockhart appeared beside them. “Expecto Patronum!” Lockhart shouted.

A silvery cock appeared between him and the closest Dementor.

“A chicken Patronus?” Semus Finnegan shouted as he advanced with a shining silver chimpanzee in front of him.

“It’s a fighting cock, monkey boy!” Lockhart retaliated. “I’m inspired! I know what my next book title will be,” Lockhart said happily as he stepped forwards waving his wand.

Harry saw Lucius Malfoy aiming his wand at him again, but Professor Lockhart had moved between them.

“Professor Lockhart!” Harry shouted. “That blond wizard! Death curse!”

AVADA…,” Lucius Malfoy shouted.

EXPELLAMOUSE!” Lockhart shouted in terror.

KAD AAAGH! Malfoy yelled as a terrified rodent landed on his face and dug in his claws.

There was a loud unholy shrieking scream from the end of the platform to their right.

On his left, Harry saw Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle leveling their wands at him and Hermione.

“Protego! Protego! Protego!” Hermione shouted repelling the boys’ hexes.

Travers had recovered his wand and was aiming it at Harry.

Harry quickly levitated Theodore Nott to block the line between him and Travers.

Travers did not pause, “AVADA KEDAVRA!” he shouted. Theodore Nott went limp as the green flash hit him.

“Expelliarmus!” Hermione shouted, disarming Travers again.

There was another horrific shrieking scream, this one closer than the first.

Lucius Malfoy threw off the mouse and leveled his wand at Gilderoy Lockhart. “AVADA…”

Lockhart screamed and dove to the platform. His dog hopped to his side.

“KEDAVRA,” Lucius Malfoy shouted. A bolt of green lightening hit the puppy.

Once again there was a loud and unholy scream. A Dementor vanished into a black vortex at the end of a glowing staff held by Dumbledore. The remaining Dementors swooped into the air and disappeared into the clouds.

Draco Malfoy and Adrian Pucey held up umbrellas with plastic pumpkins on them. The younger Death Eaters quickly gathered around them and disappeared.

“AVADA…” a witch’s voice cackled.

Harry saw Dolores Umbridge aiming her wand at them. He pushed Hermione roughly to the ground as two green bolts of lightening passed over their heads.

There were several loud cracks as the remaining Death Eaters disapparated. The station was quiet. The attack had ended as suddenly as it had begun. As the shock wore off, the wailing began.

Harry lifted his head and looked around to survey the damage.

“Justin!” Cindy Chambers cried. “Justin!” Cindy began to cry as she held Justin Finch-Fletchley’s lifeless body.

“Wizards and Spells! It was just fun and games!” Dennis Creevy cried. “It was just fun and games!” He collapsed crying on Collen, who lay unmoving, staring up at the sky.

Harry helped Hermione to her feet. Gilderoy Lockhart sat on the ground holding his dog, his face blank and distant. Harry felt a hand on his shoulder, it was Dumbledore.

“Help Hermione tend to the wounded,” Dumbledore said gently. “We must get the children back to the castle. There’ll be no train ride today.”

Dozens of students were injured, a few by curses thrown by Death Eaters but most by falls or by being trampled. Many of the children had just collapsed in terror as the Dementors sucked the happiness out of them. So many were crying it was difficult to tell who was injured and who was just scared. The Death Eaters and the Dementors could have killed dozens, but they had not. They had only caused terror and pandemonium in the crowd. And they left three dead boys as a warning to all that being close to Harry Potter was a risky thing to do.

Justin Finch-Fletchley, Collen Creevy and Theodore Nott had all been hit by curses that were aimed at Harry. From the positions of the bodies he could see that Dolores Umbridge had killed Collen and Lucius Malfoy had killed Justin. Harry felt sick. Justin and Collen were dead because they had been his friends. As Hermione moved towards a group of injured students Harry glanced back at their luggage pile. Hedwig and Crookshanks had also blocked green flashes for him. Ron, Ginny, Neville and Luna had all been dangerously close. Hermione had shielded him from almost a dozen jinxes. He and Hermione were a very powerful team when they fought together. But the Shield Charm would not stop Avada Kedavra. She could have been hit…


Two days later a sadly delayed Hogwarts Express finally took the students to London so they could begin their summer vacations. As if a break from classes in the middle of a wizarding war could be considered a vacation.


When they had made their way through the magical barrier at King’s Cross Station that hid Platform Nine and three-quarters from the Muggles, Harry and Hermione were met by his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and his enormous cousin Dudley.

“Well” Vernon Dursley grunted.

“Hello to you too, Uncle Vernon,” Harry replied. “Aunt Petunia and Dudley you may remember Hermione. She’ll be riding with us. While I’m at home, she’ll be staying in our neighborhood.”

“Am I running a taxi service for… for…your kind of people?” Uncle Dursley huffed.

“You won’t have to drive one block out of your way for her,” Harry said defensively. “She’ll walk the rest of the way to her destination.”

“This girl’s parents were murdered weren’t they?” Uncle Vernon recalled. “Why did that happen?”

“Evil wizards tried to kidnap me. My parents fought,” Hermione said.

“And why did the…” Uncle Vernon began in a spitting sort of whisper. “Why did those people try to kidnap you? Huh? It was because you are his friend. Am I right? Huh?” Mr. Dursley didn’t wait for a reply having answered his own question to his satisfaction, rather he rounded on Harry. “Boy, are you putting my family in danger?”

“As a matter of fact, yes I am,” Harry said bluntly. “People have been killed because they were standing next to me. I don’t want you to get hurt and I don’t really want to go home with you. If you sign this paper, I’ll be gone. You’ll never be bothered by me again.”

Harry handed his Uncle a form from the Ministry of Magic.

His Uncle pulled out a pen and started to sign the form but Aunt Petunia barked out a warning, “Read it before you sign it!”

“Permission to get married?” Uncle Vernon said in surprise.

“Don’t sign it!” Aunt Petunia hissed. “If he leaves, the… the… magic spells that protect us… they’ll fade away.”

“To the car boy,” Uncle Vernon ordered. “You two are much too young to get married. With any luck this poor misguided girl will come to her senses and go some place far away from you.”

For a moment Harry wished that Hermione had that option. Then he took her hand and led her to the car nervously eyeing the crowd.

For the next two weeks Harry stayed at Number Four Privet Drive, while Hermione stayed at Mrs. Figg’s house. Harry visited her every day as soon as his chores were done. Hermione and Harry practiced apparating from room to room. They found they could apparate best if they held hands and went together. One of them could easily apparate to be with the other, but they found they could not disapparate if it separated them. One night as Harry dozed fitfully in his bed, wishing he could be with Hermione, he was awakened by a noisy crack of apparition followed immediately by a high pitched “oooff” and a thud. Harry grabbed his wand and disapparated to be with Hermione. He didn’t know where he was going but he knew he could go to her. Harry found Hermione lying stunned and scratched in a rose bush in the neighbors’ garden.

“Sorry to bother you” Harry told the angry lady next door as he carried a battered and scratched Hermione from her garden. “She fell off the fence. Please don’t tell anyone or we’ll get into trouble,”

“I guess there’s a barrier that stops wizards from apparating into the Dursley’s house, but you can dissapparate out,” Hermione concluded when she had recovered enough to talk.
“And I think I prefer library research to actual experimentation.”

Hermione received the The Daily Prophet each morning at Mrs. Figg’s house. The headlines were not comforting:

Two More Victims of Hogsmeade Railway Station Attack Found
The bodies of a conductor and the locomotive driver of the Hogswart Express…
…the snack trolley lady was found hiding in a culvert thirty miles from Hogsmeade.


Liechtenstein Quidditch Team Won’t Come to Britain
International concern over the troubles in Britain crossed a new threshold today when members of the Liechtenstein National Quidditch team refused…

Dumbledore Criticized for Lack of Security at Hogsmeade Railway Station
Dozens of angry parents made their dissatisfaction known…
… pointed out that Hogswarts School is not responsible for security at the railway station…
… Gilderoy Lockhart helped to defend…
…and three Dementors were destroyed in the fight.


Death Head Appears Over Crewe
A family of five Muggles and one young wizard were found murdered…
…it is not known how the Death Eaters learned the identity of the eleven year old Muggle-born wizard who would have received an invitation to attend Hogwarts next week.


House-Elf Rights Sparks Angry Debate in Wizengamot
A bill calling for the introduction of legal rights for house-elves was voted down after an angry debate …
…the right to attend funerals is the right to refuse to work,” Joseph Steelman argued…
… a measure calling for the arrest of Hermione Potter was also voted down.
“This is a free speech issue. I see nothing in this bill calling for the emancipation of the elves,” Amanda Bones noted .


In mid-July Harry and Hermione left Little Whinging to search for the Gold Serpent Staff. They were escorted by Hestia Jones and Sturgis Podmore who acted as both guardians and chaperones. They started in the archives section of the European Museum of Magic in Paris.

“I’ve seen this before!” Hermione said with excitement as they were looking at a photo of an old painting of some Egyptian hieroglyphs. “It’s in the British Museum.”

“But that’s a Muggle place!” Hestia Jones said in surprise.

“They’ve got lots of fascinating things in that museum,” Hermione pointed out.

“No one would ever look in a Muggle museum for a magical item of this importance,” Sturgis said.

“I’ve never been there,” Harry said. “Let’s check it out.”

The Gold Serpent Staff was not in the British Museum but there was a picture of it on a block of hieroglyphs taken from an Egyptian temple. So they were off to Egypt to search the ruins of an ancient temple. In a sealed chamber they found more hieroglyphs that told them the Serpent Staff had been given to King Solomon of Israel.

“But that Egyptian pharaoh and that Israeli king were Muggles!” Podmore exclaimed. “They wouldn’t have a magical item. The Staff would be protected by illusions and spells. It might be in a magical room with an invisible door. It might be guarded by curses or golems. An item this important just wouldn’t be given to Muggles!” ”

When Dumbledore heard of their discoveries he sent them an owl with this message:

Dear Company,

Perhaps the item was invisible because previous seekers were blinded by prejudice. I think you should follow this lead.

Albus Dumbledore


So they searched Muggle places, museums, libraries, archives and ordinary hidden chambers without a trace of magic protecting them. In Jerusalem they found a scroll in a tunnel that revealed that the staff had been carried off by the Chaldeans. In Iraq they searched beneath the ruins of the hanging-gardens of Babylon and learned that Cyrus had taken the staff to Persia when he conquered the Babylonian empire.

Of course deciphering those ancient inscriptions took several hours. While Sturgis and Hestia explored another corridor, Harry and Hermione were surprised and disarmed by the Wicked Warlock of Wadi Al-Hashish.

Wu HA! Ho HO HEE! HA Ha ha I have you now, Harry Potter!” Hashish chortled as he held their wands. “The British Dark Lord will reward me greatly!”

“You’ve been in the hot sun too long if you think you can trust Lord Voldemort,” Harry said bravely.

“You are the one who will find out what is hot, Harry Potter! I am going to throw you into the Furnace of the Three Jews!” Hashish boasted as he flicked his wand and opened a hidden door that concealed a roaring fire. “Wu HA! Ho HO HEE! HA Ha ha
Your poor little virgin wife! You should have bought her a better wand.”

“I’m not made of money, I’m an orphan,” Harry said defensively.

“You’re an orphan and she’s a widow!” the evil wizard cackled. “When you are dead she will loose all of her magical powers. She will wear nothing but chains and be my helpless slave for the rest of her tortured life. Wu HA! Ho HO HEE! HA Ha ha

As Hashish conjured ropes to tie up Harry and levitated him towards the door of the furnace, Hermione pulled out her real wand and threw Hashish into the fire.

“That laugh was really starting to annoy me,” Hermione said.

“What possessed you to try to fight that guy with a bamboo wand?” Harry asked.

“I got my pockets mixed up. But it worked out didn’t it?” she said.

Harry and Hermione found Stugis and Hestia lying stunned in a nearby corridor. They revived their guards and left Iraq as quickly as possible. Rumors later surfaced that Al-Hashish was really quite angry at them.

“He was a bit of a hot head,” Harry joked as they camped beneath the stars in the Iranian desert. But as he watched Hermione and Hestia preparing dinner over a magical fire while Stugis transfigured a burned out helicopter into a comfortable shelter, his private thoughts were not so flippant. If he died, Hermione would loose her magical power. Would that work the other way as well? If Hermione was killed would he loose his magic? If Hermione was killed would he give a damn about magic? No, he wouldn’t care at all.

In Iran they found Persian records that said the Serpent Staff had been hidden in a cave in the Hindu Kush to keep it from the Greeks. It had been found in Afghanistan by British adventurers and stolen by Russian thieves. It had been locked in a dungeon beneath the Kremlin for almost two hundred years and then sold on the black market by a crooked official as the Soviet Union collapsed. They found the Gold Serpent Staff in a small privately owned museum in Wichita, Kansas.

“It’s no wonder other wizards didn’t find it. It’s out in the open,” Harry observed. “There’s no magic around it at all. It’s just surrounded by things that wizards would have no interest in.”

Hermione made no comment as she seemed to be busy transfiguring a pile of brochures from the Gallery of Historical Curiosities into Muggle money.

“It should be pretty easy to nick it,” Sturgis said. “We can apparate in when the museum is closed, freeze their eclectic burglar alarms, vanish the case, grab the staff and disapparate out.”

“It’s like stealing candy from a Muggle,” Hestia noted. “All we have to do is survive until nightfall. It is so hot here!”

“I saw a little brewery and pub across the street. It’s probably air-conditioned. Lunch is on me,” Hermione said brightly. “I understand they serve tea cold here, with ice in it!”

After lunch they walked around the downtown area but the hot August wind soon drove them indoors. They spent the afternoon lounging in the county library, more for the sake of air conditioning than books. Hermione of course spent the time studying geography. They stayed in the library when it closed that evening. It was easy to avoid the security guard by donning Invisibility cloaks.

“We should make a copy of the Serpent Staff to put in the place of the real one,” Harry said. “It wouldn’t be nice to ruin the museum’s display. If they don’t notice the Staff is gone they’ll be no real harm done.”

Hermione transfigured a metal pole that held a sign about late book fees into a good copy of the Golden Serpent Staff, and they apparated back to the museum.

“You know Harry,” Hermione said quietly as she placed the fake Staff in the display case. “I feel bad about making counterfeit money and stealing from the museum, even if we are doing it to save the world from an evil wizard.”

“If the Muggles don’t know what happened, they’re not hurt by it,” Harry rationalized. “But yeah, I feel a bit bad about it too.”

After a two hour broom flight to the north, they rested beneath some mushroom shaped rocks in a small park that was surrounded by a pasture. They could have stayed in an empty Muggle house or an unused motel room but it felt better to camp out and use magic rather than thievery to get their creature comforts. They made their way back to Scotland and turned the Gold Serpent Staff over to Dumbledore a few days before the fall term began.

Harry and Hermione stayed at Hogwarts and watched as students arrived for the fall term. They came in small groups over several days. It was deemed to be too risky to run the Hogwarts Express this year. Some students came in on the daily trains to Hogsmeade, accompanied by parents and guardians. Some arrived on the Knight Bus. Some made their way to Hogsmeade by Portkey or the Flue network and walked to the castle. Some arrived by broom, they had to land in Hogsmeade and walk to the castle. The security of the castle itself had been greatly strengthened.

While Harry and Hermione had been traveling around the world, the violence in the British wizarding community had continued and had gotten worse. Luna Lovegood’s father had been killed and a lot of his research files had been stolen. The Quibbler was no longer being published and Luna had been taken in by the Weasleys. Ron, Ginny, Luna and Neville arrived at the castle gates in a Ministry car. Arthur, Charlie, Fred and George had accompanied them because there was strength in numbers.

The start of term banquet was a subdued affair. More than a third of the seats were empty. Parents were scared and many kept their children at home even if the security at Hogwarts was stronger than it had ever been. There were only about one quarter as many first year students as in a normal year. The sorting hat placed very few of them into Slytherin.

After the banquet, Dumbledore called Harry and Hermione to his office. Amos Diggory was there.

“As long as Lord Voldemort thinks we have the Gold Serpent Staff, it forces him to be cautious,” Dumbledore told Harry. “I have used some tricky analytical magic to examine the staff you brought in. It is at least five thousand years old but I can detect no magic about it. The staff may be protected by a very high level spell that hides its magical properties, or it may be a very old forgery. We obviously can’t use it to attack Lord Voldemort until we know that it is the genuine item.”

“How do you plan to test it?” Hermione asked.

“The Minister of Magic and I have been discussing that issue,” Dumbledore said. “It is likely that only contact with an Immortal Demonic Wizard will activate its magic.”

“But it would be dangerous for someone to attack a Dark Lord with that staff,” Harry said. “If it’s a fake, the wizard trying it could get killed.”
Chapter 22 Into the Pit by king
Chapter 22 Into the Pit

Harry and Hermione had been at Hogwarts for five days when the fall term began and in that time they had neither seen Professor Lockhart nor learned if he would return as Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor. The mystery of his whereabouts was cleared up by an ad in The Daily Prophet which arrived at breakfast time on Monday.

Protect Your Family With Lockhart Home Security
- Charms and Spells for your House
- Reliable Enchanted Items
- Personal Instruction on Defensive Spells


“All of that work to get his brain functioning and he leaves after only one term!” Hermione huffed indignantly.

“He’ll make more money in the private sector than he would as a teacher,” Ron observed.

“So I wonder if Dumbledore has found a replacement for Lockhart,” Harry said.

“You don’t know!” Ron exclaimed. “While you were off in Egypt and Mesopotamia and wherever, the real action was here. By the way did you meet a lot of witches in Witcheytaw?”

“It’s Wichita” Hermione said rolling her eyes, “and no we didn’t meet any witches there. We avoided the American magical community because their Department of Illusion is still angry about the Shrub affair.”

“What do you mean by the real action was here?” Harry asked. “Do you know who’s teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts?”

“Well, yeah, I know,” Ron said. “And I know who’s taking over Potions classes for the first through fourth year students too.” He lowered his voice to a whisper, “it’s so Snape has more time for spy stuff.” Then Ron stuffed his mouth with bacon.

“Are you going to tell us or not?” Harry snapped.

“Aw chore,” Ron said chewing his words along with his breakfast. “Ish aw..”

“Chew with your mouth closed Ron, and let me tease them for awhile!” Ginny interrupted. “The new Defense Against the Dark Arts Instructor is tall and handsome and young and he has tons of practical experience dealing with curses,” she said wistfully to Hermione. “And I think he loves me.”

Hermione looked startled and Ron started to choke. Ginny laughed while Harry patted Ron on the back until Hermione got out her wand and cleared his airway with a quick spell.

“It’s Bill!” Ginny giggled, “and Fleur will be the Introductory Potions instructor.”

“That’s horrible!” Harry said. “I don’t want anything bad to happen to Bill!”

“The job’s cursed, but Bill’s one of the best curse breakers in Britain,” Ginny said proudly. “And I think he’ll be a great Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor.

“Dennis will be upset…” Ron gasped, “when he learns Fleur is teaching fourth year Potions. His parents moved out of the country. He’s not back this year.”

Hermione squeezed Harry’s hand under the table.


Later that day Harry learned he would be having special lessons with Dumbledore. To Harry’s relief these were scheduled on evenings when Hermione was working in the hospital. That would give him several hours to ponder them before deciding how much to tell her.


Ron was appointed Head Boy and Quidditch Captain. Ron had done a lot in the previous year: organized Tuesday Night patrols, helped when the dragons escaped, plus Prefect duties. Apparently Dumbledore didn’t know, or didn’t care, about Ron’s involvement in the start of the riot before Christmas break. Dumbledore also thought that Harry needed more time for practicing defensive magic on his own.


There weren’t many students at the first meeting of S.P.E.W. in mid-September. The Creevy boys were gone and the fact that the Wizengamot had considered a bill calling for the arrest of Hermione as a trouble-maker didn’t help attract casual interest.

“Where’s Zach Smith?” Harry asked Ernie Macmillan.

“He’s angry that Hermione disagrees with his idea to send all of the elves to secluded areas,” Ernie explained. “All he really cares about is stopping cheap competition against small businesses.”

“Our first activity this year is a contest to design a poster and leaflet for a public-awareness campaign on the theme, “Be Kind to Elves,” Hermione said. “I also need a few people to volunteer to spend an hour reading to the elves and helping them with their own reading lessons.”

Then they practiced levitating objects to block the Death Curse.

“The best thing to use to block the Avada Kedrava curse is a disarmed Death Eater,” Harry said coldly. “It might stop the bad guy from casting the curse. I feel sorry about Theodore Nott’s death, but I feel a whole lot worse about Justin and Collen.”


The Dueling Club became the main outlet for Harry to teach spells to the other students while he learned advanced spells from Dumbledore and Bill in his private lessons.


While things were close to normal inside Hogwarts, there continued to be trouble in the wizarding community. Hardly a week went by without some story of Death Eater violence appearing in The Daily Prophet. People began to worry that the Ministry of Magic was loosing control. Some began to openly advocate making a deal with the Death Eaters.

Death Head Appears Over Aberdeen
Stuart McGillian of Aberdeen was murdered last night…
…widely regarded as an artist, McGillian was famous for his ability to cast charms that repelled dark magic. The unique protective items he produced were sold worldwide.


Diggory Survives Another Vote of No Confidence By a Narrow Margin.
Recent attacks by the followers of You-Know-Who and a growing international crisis prompted another call in the Wizengamot for Mr. Diggory to step down from the post of Minister of Magic…


Ron and Luna began to spend a lot of their free time together. They didn’t do a lot of hugging and kissing but they were often heard laughing. They made plans to attend the Halloween Ball dressed as a thestral. Their idea was to wear invisibility hats and tease Hermione.


Then in mid-October the whole wizarding community was shocked when The Daily Prophet reported the sudden death of the Minister of Magic.

Diggory Killed in Dragon Preserve Accident
The wizarding community of Britain mourns the death of the Minister of Magic Amos Diggory. Mr. Diggory was killed last night in an accident in the Highland Dragon Preserve. Details of the cause of Mr. Diggory’s death have not been released. Officials from the Ministry of Magic will say only that Mr. Diggory was working on Ministerial Business and died heroically in the line of duty.

Mr. Diggory’s distinguished career included many years of service in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures and a Year as the Head of the Department of Magical Transportation before his unexpected elevation to the post of Minister of Magic.

Mr. Diggory was proceeded in death by his son Cedric Diggory, a Hogwarts Triwizard Tournament Champion, who was murdered by You-Know-Who two years ago and by his wife who was murdered in their home last year.


“Harry and Hermione please come in and sit down,” Dumbledore said solemnly as he beckoned to comfortable chairs in his office. “I will be telling you the circumstances of Mr. Diggory’s unfortunate death. It is most important that the details remain a closely guarded secret.”

“Did Mr. Diggory’s death have something to do with an Immortal Dark Wizard who is imprisoned in an ancient enchanted keep that’s lined with silver?” Harry asked.

“The existence of that prison in the Dragon Preserve is a Ministerial Secret. But perhaps Ronald Weasley isn’t very good at keeping secrets?” Dumbledore said grimly. “But to answer your question, yes. Amos Diggory decided to personally test the Gold Serpent Staff to see if it could kill a Dark Lord. He would not allow anyone else to take the risk.”

“The staff we found is useless. Isn’t it?” Hermione said sadly.

“Mr. Diggory entered the chamber where a Dark Wizard as terrible as Lord Voldemort has been imprisoned for a thousand years,” Dumbledore explained. “The staff from Kansas had no magical power and Mr. Diggory was killed. No attempt was made to recover either his body or the staff.”

“So the Gold plan is out,” Harry concluded.

“Perhaps there is a real Gold Serpent Staff somewhere and maybe it will be found,” Dumbledore said hopefully. “But for now we have no idea where it would be or if it exists. And if Lord Voldemort learns that we have reopened the search, he will know that we don’t have it.”

“We can’t give up hope on this Harry,” Hermione said quietly as they walked slowly back to Gryffindor tower. “The real Gold Serpent Staff would be the best way to attack Lord Voldemort. It could be found any day, maybe by someone who is looking for something else.”

Harry said nothing. He didn’t want to shoot down Hermione’s hope, but it was such a long shot. He couldn’t believe in it.

“The Ministry of Magic will build a Silver prison and it will only be necessary to weaken and capture Lord Voldemort,” Hermione said resolutely.

“Yeah,” Harry said tenderly. “When Lord Voldemort is locked up we can get on with our lives in peace. We’re going to have twelve children.”

“Twelve children!” Hermione exclaimed. “Says who?”

“Madam Trelawney predicted it, when Umbridge was there,” Harry answered with a smile. “I’m going to live to a ripe old age and be the Minister of Magic too.”

“Trelawney? She predicted you would live to old age?” Hermione said nervously.

She turned away from Harry and was silent. Harry put his hand on her shoulder. She shuddered and choked back a sob.

“Don’t cry Hermione,” Harry said softly. “She has to be right once in a while.”

“I’m Okay,” she said trembling. “Of course she’s right. I’m just upset by Mr. Diggory’s death. What he did was very brave. Cedric, his wife, now him, it’s just awful.”

“Diggory was a lot better than Fudge,” Harry said. “And the Serpent Staff,” Harry sighed. “It’s disappointing, we put a lot of hope into it.”

“Twelve children?” Hermione said doubtfully. “Okay. Fine. Good. Twelve children. Enjoy my flat tummy now because I’m going to be pregnant for many years. I’ll stay at home with the kids and run our own little hospital. I’ll become an expert at charming poop out of diapers. No problem. I’ll cook and do laundry and clean like a house elf. No problem. I’ll watch my diet and I’ll exercise and I’ll never smoke and I’ll never drink when I’m pregnant not even wine, but you just make sure that you do live to a ripe old age Harry Potter!”

Harry didn’t know who overheard them, but for the rest of the week Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil and several other girls assured Hermione that Harry was telling the truth and that Madam Trelawney really did predict Harry would have twelve children. They all gave her a pat on the back and told her how brave she was.


There had been a significant improvement in the relationship between Percy and the rest of the Weasley family since the year he sided with Fudge and Umbridge, but he still kept a bit aloof from them. His career took an amazing step forward after the death of Amos Diggory, The Daily Prophet reported:

Deadlocked Wizengamot Appoints Triumvirate to Run Ministry of Magic
Unable to decide on a new Minister of Magic the Wizengamot divided the responsibilities among three candidates. Amanda Bones, Joseph Steelman and Percival Weasley will be sharing the job of running the Ministry of Magic during these troubled times. Amanda Bones is widely regarded as a liberal, allied with the controversial Headmaster of Hogwarts Albus Dumbledore. Joseph Steelman is well known for upholding the conservative values of the traditional Wizarding community and was a close confident of former Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge. Young Percival Weasley, a recent graduate of Hogwarts from the Gryffindor house, thus assumes a key role as the likely swing vote on most controversial decisions…


The Gryffindor Quidditch team under the leadership of Captain Ronald Weasley soundly defeated the Slytherin team in the opening match of the season at Hogwarts. The victory party in Gryffindor tower included a few guests as well as Gryffindor students, most notably the Junior Co-Minister of Magic Percival Weasley. After a decent period of greetings, congratulations and celebration, but while the party was still quite noisy, Percy pulled Harry to one side.

“I need to have a private word with you Harry,” Percy said in a hushed tone.

They retreated to Harry’s bedroom with an Auror from the Ministry of Magic named Dawlish guarding the bedroom door. Percy conjured up a comfortable wing-backed chair while Harry grabbed the wooden chair from his desk.

“Harry I understand that you have been briefed on some of the details of Amos Diggory’s unfortunate death,” Percy began.

“He was very brave to face that Dark Lord,” Harry said.

“There were many volunteers to test the staff, most vocally Dumbledore,” Percy told him. “But Mr. Diggory would let no one else assume the risk. What you may not know is the method we used to open the ancient prison so Mr. Diggory could attack the Dark Lord.”

Percy paused leaving Harry to wonder why the details of opening the prison door should be of concern to him.

“The Demonic Wizard in that old prison is just as bad as You-Know-Who,” Percy went on. “Hundreds of Wizards and Witches died during his reign of terror a thousand years ago. We had to make sure he couldn’t get out.”

“So you couldn’t just open the door,” Harry guessed.

“Exactly,” Percy stated. “We had to construct an antechamber in front of the prison door that was completely lined with enchanted silver objects. Mr. Diggory was sealed into the antechamber with the staff that you found in that foreign Muggle museum. When the prison door was opened the Dark Lord within could only move into the new room, he could not get out.”

“It sounds complicated,” Harry said.

Harry stood and walked over to the window. He tried to imagine how Amos Diggory must have felt when he had been sealed in the antechamber. One door separated him from an Immortal Dark Wizard as evil as Lord Voldemort. His weapon was a gold staff that had refused to demonstrate that it was magical. As he stood there he noticed a white dove sitting on the windowsill.

“The construction of the antechamber was almost as ambitious as building a completely new Silver prison,” Percy explained. “It was quite expensive. It used up a lot of enchanted silver. And I’m sure you can deduce where we got the materials to build the antechamber.”

“You diverted materials from the building of the new Silver prison,” Harry surmised.

“If the Serpent Staff from Kansas had worked, the material diversion would have been irrelevant,” Percy rationalized. “But since that staff had no power, all we accomplished was giving that nasty old Dark Wizard a bigger prison. We can’t remove the materials we used to construct the antechamber without letting him out.”

“Can’t you get more materials to build the new Silver prison?” Harry asked.

Well yes Harry, but you must understand my position,” Percy explained defensively. “The Ministry of Magic has lost a lot of silver. It was very expensive! If I push for higher taxes or a bond issue to speed up the construction of the new Silver prison I could be easily squeezed out of the government. Plus our Chief Enchanter was recently murdered by the Death Eaters. The only man with comparable talent is an American and I dare say our relations with the Department of Illusion are at a low point.”

“So what you’re saying is that you can’t build a new Silver prison,” Harry said coldly.

“No, that’s not really fair,” Percy waffled. “What I’m doing is asking you a question. Is a new Silver prison is really necessary? And I’m warning you that this sort of construction project will take time.”

Percy said his good byes and left. As Harry listened to the sounds of Percy Weasley and Mr. Dawlish retreating down the stairs, he leaned his head against the window and sighed. Strangely the white bird did not fly away even though Harry had moved quite close to it.

“You remind me of an owl I once had,” Harry said to the bird. “He died for me.”

The bird moved closer to where Harry’s hand touched the glass.

“The Gold plan and the Silver plan do not look promising,” Harry said out loud. “The Red plan requires an impossible amount of my blood. And for the Brown plan to succeed, someone has to be magically bonded to Voldemort and sacrificed.”

Harry stared at his reflection in the glass.

“Who’s it going to be?” He asked himself.

He didn’t notice the bird fall off the windowsill.


The Red plan called for subduing Lord Voldemort and replacing most of the blood in his body with Harry’s blood. This would restore enough humanity to the Dark Lord that he could be killed. On the day following the talk with Percy, Dumbledore, Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape met with Harry and Hermione to discuss the collection and preservation of several gallons of Harry’s blood.

The problem was that they could not use magic to accelerate the production of blood by Harry’s body without diluting the magical potential of Harry’s blood. They couldn’t collect too much blood from Harry at one time without making him anemic and weak. He would need time to recover between bleedings. It all came down to preserving the blood. Fortunately Dumbledore was an expert on blood-based magic. He provided Hermione with directions to make a potion that would preserve the blood. Professor Snape allowed her to use the Potions classroom and provided the ingredients from the cupboard.

“You’re being very careful,” Harry observed, as he chopped up some roots.

“It’s a very important potion,” Hermione stated. “Would you hand me that coumarin clover powder please” she said pointing to a bottle.

Harry handed her a piece of weighing paper with a small amount of powder weighed out.

“You have it weighed out already?” she said in surprise.

“I knew you would need it,” Harry said. “I can read the directions too.”

“What’s the next ingredient smart boy?” she asked.

“Finely chopped dandelion root,” he said handing her the chopped roots. “I always figured dandelions had some magical power, they grow so darn fast. It’s like chocolate I guess. There’s magic in a lot of things Muggles think are ordinary.”

“You really are good at potions, when you’re not being tormented and harassed,” Hermione said quietly after looking around to make sure Professor Snape wasn’t near.

“You help me with the homework and Ernie Macmillan is a great lab partner,” Harry replied.

“You’ve got talent. Professor Snape has never been fair to you,” Hermione said flatly.

“He harasses me less than he used to,” Harry observed. “Now he spends a lot of time looking at you.”

“It creeps me out,” she whispered, “but I think he’s just doing it to annoy you.”

A short while later she put the stopper in the phial of blood preservative potion. Harry cleaned up the mess.

“So much for our Sunday afternoon time to relax together,” Harry said glumly. “Extra potions work.”

“Now it’s off to the hospital, to see Madam Pomfrey,” Hermione said, looking away.

Was she starting to cry?

“It’s just a blood draw. That’s no big deal,” Harry said nonchalantly.

“Right,” she sniffed. “It’s no big deal. You’ll recover your strength.”


In early December an epidemic of Elfluenza swept through the kitchen and pantries of Hogwarts. Hermione put in overtime on her nursing shifts to help take care of the sick house elves. When she started missing suppers Harry decided to investigate. He found her in the kitchen, wearing tea towels and scrubbing pots. She was so thin and pale and she looked so tired.

“What are you doing here?” Harry asked her. “You haven’t done anything to get detention have you?”

“I’m not in detention,” she said. “But so many of the elves are sick and there is so much work that has to be done.”

Harry rolled up his sleeves and approached the sink.

“Oh Harry thanks!” Hermione said smiling. “But you’re so tired, you need to rest.”

He saw his reflection in the glass of a china cabinet. He was ghostly pale and had dark circles under his eyes. The bleeding was getting to him.

“You’re right, I should go to bed early tonight,” he admitted. “But you look just as bad. I’ll leave when you leave. You’ve been transferring strength from your body to mine using sympathetic magic when I fall asleep in the common room, haven’t you?”

She said nothing but let him join her at the sink. They finished the dishes using magic where they could to speed things along. Then they walked back to Gryffindor tower.

“Harry, please don’t get angry me,” Hermione said in a tired voice.

“No, I understand how you feel about the elves,” Harry said quietly. “I think they love you too.”

“The Elfluenza epidemic is bad at the mine too,” Hermione said. “And they have no medicine.”

“Going to the mine is dangerous,” Harry pointed out. “We’re both tired. I won’t do it unless Shacklebolt helps us. We need to take the train. We’re not fit enough for a thestral ride.”

Over the next few days they collected medicine and planned another excursion to the mine in Cornwall. Dumbledore gave them permission to leave Hogwarts over the weekend as long as they stuck with Shacklebolt. Harry thought that Dumbledore was looking old and tired.

“You must tell the elves at the mine that you need help finding Lord Voldemort’s hide-out,” Dumbledore instructed Harry.


That Friday evening they took the train to London. On Saturday they rested in the Leaky Cauldron and took the late Muggle train to Salisbury. Shortly after midnight on Sunday Harry gave the last handful of supplies to a mine-elf and turned to look for Hermione. She had been nursing sick elves and had gone down a shaft out of his sight. He was very worried about her. He turned a corner and saw Hermione standing in the glow from a torch. She was bound and gagged. Then he saw Narcissa Malfoy with her wand pointed at Hermione.

“Harry Potter, are you so arrogant as to think that all of my elves are disloyal?” Mrs. Malfoy hissed. “I could have easily killed this scrawny Mudblood.”

Harry stared at Mrs. Malfoy. It would be difficult to jinx her without hitting Hermione but he didn’t lower his wand. What she had said was true. She could easily kill Hermione. But she just stared back at Harry. What was Mrs. Malfoy waiting for?

“You stole a baby elf from me,” she said without emotion.

“We’ve also provided food and medicine for your elves,” Harry countered.

“I don’t care about the elves,” Mrs. Malfoy spat. “This mine is for sale.”

Harry looked at Hermione, the look on her face said “I’m sorry.

“What are you waiting for?” Harry asked.

“I want to talk to you,” Narcissa said.

“What’s there to talk about?” Harry said.

“Do you have the power to destroy the Dark Lord?” she asked.

“That’s what the Prophecy says.”

She pushed Hermione towards Harry.

“I want Draco back!” Mrs. Malfoy shouted.

“I don’t know where he is,” Harry said catching Hermione and keeping his wand pointed at Narcissa Malfoy.

“I know where he is!” she spat. “He’s with the Dark Lord! And I want him and his father back!”

Mrs. Malfoy lowered her wand and began to cry.
Chapter 23 Portkeys and Pain by king
Chapter 23 Portkeys and Pain

Spring came.

It was mid-April and tomorrow Harry would play his last Quidditch game at Hogwarts. He wondered if it would be his last game ever. There were things in his life now that were so much more important than Quidditch.

Harry Potter wasn’t even eighteen years old and he was worried about the whole world. An evil wizard who couldn’t be killed by normal magic wanted to take over and was using fear, dark magic and murder to get what he wanted. And Harry had been marked as his equal, the one with the power to destroy the Dark Lord. The power Harry had that the Dark Lord knew nothing about was simply love. And what good was that? People Harry loved were being killed and hurt and tortured.

The Ministry of Magic was no help. The endless delays in the building of the Silver prison were maddening. Amos Diggory was dead and the triumvirate government was falling apart. Amada Bones was ill. She would die soon. Joseph Steelman was frightening. Harry figured that he was sympathetic to Lord Voldemort’s pure-blood lies and that he might even be a secret Death Eater. He was active in AHEM “ the Association of House Elf Masters. Percival Weasley was young and inexperienced. Percy had confided to Bill that he was scared.

Harry’s most important ally, Dumbledore, was aging rapidly. He was almost one hundred and sixty years old and hadn’t had a dose of life extending potion since he and Nicolas Flamel had destroyed the Philosopher’s stone. Harry could not imagine attacking Lord Voldemort’s army without him, but Dumbledore was no longer elderly, he was old.

Narcissa Malfoy had said she would help him find Lord Voldemort when the time came. Could Harry trust her? Would she have a change of heart? Would she help Harry trap Lord Voldemort or would she help Lord Voldemort trap Harry?

The blood that he had given in such awful quantities in November and December and January had all turned black and smelly. Someone had sabotaged the preserving potion.

Voldemort had to be destroyed. How much longer could he wait?

Hermione yawned, closed her transfiguration book, and snuggled up to Harry. Harry looked over at Ron. Ron noticed it.

“Alright everyone, it’s bedtime. Clear the common room. ” Ron ordered.

“But it’s barely ten PM. We’re playing Gobstones!” someone protested.

“Don’t argue with me! I’m the Head Boy and it’s your bedtime,” Ron snapped.

Ron pulled his wand out and slammed the Gobstones into the box before the kids could figure out who was ahead at the moment. No one argued with Ron about bed time. He had become a tyrant. He would do anything to protect Harry and Hermione.

The other students cleared out of the common room leaving only Harry and Hermione on the sofa, their sofa. Harry pulled out pillows and a blanket like he had done every night for the last three months. He would spend the whole night on the common room sofa holding Hermione. She had tried to sleep in her own bed but her nightmares would give her no peace. Lavender and Parvati had tried to calm her when she awoke screaming or crying but only contact with Harry could give her a peaceful night’s rest.

Harry thought back to the night before the Hufflepuff game three months ago. Their seventh year had been relatively peaceful compared to the madness of their sixth year. Hogwarts had seemed to be safe. But the Death Eaters hadn’t given up. Bellatrix Lestrange and Dolores Umbridge had entered Hogwarts disguised as Pansy Parkinson and Millicent Bulstrode. Professor Snape had let them in and some empty bedrooms in the Slytherin dungeon had become their headquarters.

The memories that ruined Hermione’s sleep haunted him...

”What’s bothering you mate?” Ron had asked on that afternoon three months ago. “And don’t say nothing.”

“It’s silly Ron,” Harry said.

“Tell me anyway,” Ron prodded him.

“I’m worried about Hermione. I mean look, there she is. She’s reading a book. She’s fine. But I have this feeling of dread,” Harry said reluctantly. “I’m afraid something terrible is about to happen to her.”

“She has been acting strangely,” Ron observed. “I haven’t had a senseless argument with her all day. She didn’t jump all over you for not eating more vegetables. She even laughed at a joke Seamus told,” Ron said thoughtfully. “Did you give her a Happy Potion? Or put her under the Imperious Curse? Or did you two start doing a
certain activity that might cheer her up?”

“Waiting to have sex is driving us both crazy. But if we did it, she would just feel guilty about not waiting until after our formal wedding,” Harry said with regret. “It’s not fair. The Dursleys should have let me legally marry her last summer.

“So you don’t know why she’s acting happy? Have you done a Mad-Eye yet? You know, ask her some question that only Hermione could answer,” Ron suggested.

“No I haven’t asked her to prove her identity lately. How would you like it if I started quizzing you? What happened to Rex Bruin?” Harry said.

“Rex Bruin? I never heard of him,” Ron joked.


Hogwarts seemed to be safe! Harry hadn’t used the Marauder’s Map in months. He hadn’t thought to look at it. It would have told him everything. Hermione had paid a heavy price for this carelessness. He could have captured Bellatrix Lestrange. He could have rescued Hermione from the Slytherins’ dungeon. He could have stopped Umbridge…

“Tell you about Fritz?” Hermione said in surprise. “Fritz was my poodle and I turned him purple when I was a little girl. Why do you ask Harry?”

“I’m just worried,” he said. “I feel like bad things are happening and I don’t know what it’s about.

“Relax Harry,” she said as she massaged his shoulders. “You’ll need your strength for the Quidditch match tomorrow.”

“I feel so tired all of time. I can’t keep on giving so much blood. I’m too weak to face Voldemort. What if the Ministry of Magic decides they won’t finish the Silver Prison? I’m worried about your safety. I just wish the war with Voldemort was over.”

“It’s going to be alright Harry. You’ll defeat the Dark Lord. I have faith in you,” she said reassuringly. “Is there anything I can do to help you to relax?” she asked with a grin. “Anything at all?” she added seductively.

“Do you remember when we went to the beach with your parents, almost two years ago? That was a wonderful day. That evening your mother played the piano and you sang a song about bluebirds,” Harry reminisced. “Would you sing the bluebird song again?”

“Yes Harry Dear,” she said. “Just give me a few minutes to go to the little-girls room. I’ll come right back and sing for you.”

She blew Harry a kiss and went up the stairs to the girls’ dormitory. She came back ten minutes later.

“Now try to relax Harry,” she said. “Close your eyes and try to remember our day at the beach.”

Harry closed his eyes and listened to Hermione sing.

There'll be blue birds over,
the white cliffs of Dover,
tomorrow,
just you wait and see.

There’ll be joy and laughter
and peace ever after
tomorrow
when the world is free.


Harry loved to hear the sound of Hermione’s voice. He didn’t realize that it wasn’t Hermione singing. He didn’t know the song came from a music box. He didn’t know what they had done to Hermione to force her to make that recording…

He could not think about it. He had to be strong. Hermione needed to sleep and his arms kept away her nightmares.

Three months ago Gryffindor had won the Quidditch match against Hufflepuff. Harry had been so tired from the bleeding he could barely stay on his broom, but somehow he caught the Snitch.

The party was in full swing in the common room. There was food and music.
Hermione brought him a Butterbeer on a tray.

He reached for the bottle.

He felt a strange sensation sweep over his body when his fingers were inches from the Butterbeer.

His hand was deflected from the bottle, but Hermione touched it and vanished.

The noise of the party suddenly stopped. Hermione,
the real Hermione, was standing in the middle of the room pointing her wand at him. She had just cast an Imperturbable charm on him. She wore nothing but her underwear. She was bleeding, bruised, and crying. Her knees buckled and she slumped to the floor.

“Oh Harry… that was close…” Hermione sobbed. “The Butterbeer bottle… was a portkey. That was Bellatrix Lestrange.”


Harry had rushed to her. He wanted to hold her but she had been beaten so savagely it was hard to find a spot on her body where he could touch her.

Harry had followed the blood stained footprints that led from the Slytherin Dungeon. He and Dumbledore found Delores Umbridge and Professor Snape petrified. He had shouted at the terrified Slytherin students. He saw where Hermione had been chained. He saw the bloody whip that Umbridge had used to flog her without mercy.

When Hermione had healed enough to talk, she told him what they had done to her.

“Professor Snape helped them. They took my clothing. They chained me to a pillar. They took some of my hair for Polyjuice. They gave me Veritaserum. Umbridge tortured me. I tried to be strong. I tried to stay silent. But the Cruciatus curse…”

“I told Umbridge everything. The password for the portrait of the fat lady, our secret passwords, I told them about Fritz, I told them the Gold Serpent Staff was a fake, I told them my parents address…”

“I was chained in a room next to the torture chamber. I heard a girl crying. She was screaming. They tortured for hours. I couldn’t bear to listen. She was in agony. They had no mercy. It went on and on…”

“Umbridge came in. She took me to the torture chamber. There was no girl in there. But Umbridge had a time turner…and I knew … who the girl had been. She used the Cruciatus curse on parts of my body. My head… My breasts… My… My…” She couldn’t finish the sentence but the way her hands covered her lap revealed what Umbridge had done. “I tried to resist. But the pain… She made me sing… ”

“When the music box was ready, she said we had extra time. She said the earlier torture had been for business. She said she was going to punish me for what I had done to her career. She sat and knitted a sweater for her cat while I was flogged by an enchanted cat-o-nine tails. It hurt so much. It cut deep and made me bleed and I felt like I was being burned. I thought she would kill me but she used healing spells to keep me alive. And she kept flogging me… and flogging me…”


“I was chained in the torture chamber,” she said. “Bellatrix Lestrange came in. They talked about the Portkey. She left with the Butterbeer bottle. I saw my wand on a table. I begged for water. Dolores Umbridge poured a glass. She brought it over to me, but she wouldn’t give me any. She dumped it on my feet and she laughed at me. She had the pitcher in one hand and the glass in the other. When she turned her back, I summoned my wand and Petrified her before she could get her wand out. I surprised Snape and I escaped and I ran to Gryffindor Tower.”


Harry had watched coldly as Dolores Umbridge and Severus Snape were tried and executed a few days later. Professor Snape had been given a second chance in life. Dumbledore had trusted him. But when it started to look like Voldemort might win, he had jumped sides again.


Because of Hermione’s nightmares, they had been sleeping together on the sofa for three months. They had been magically bonded for a year and a half. Their wedding date was set for July thirty-first, Harry’s birthday. It seemed close, but at the same time too far away. The inevitable had happened on that sofa about a month and a half ago. There had been bad news that day, more delays in the construction of the Silver Prison. They were both restless and awake in the middle of the night. Their first time it wasn’t about two teenagers filled with lust, but two frightened people who loved each other and needed comforting.


Harry felt her slender thigh. She was loosing weight again. He thought she had gotten over that. Her breast was warm and firm.

“Not tonight Harry,” she said tenderly. “My stomach’s horribly upset.”


If they beat Ravenclaw today, Gryffindor would win the Quidditch Cup again. Ron was playing good but the game was even. It all came down to who caught the Snitch.

Harry looked at Luna Lovegood. She was an excellent seeker, sharp eyed and fast. Her long blond hair was blowing in the breeze. She had a nice figure too. Harry didn’t feel bad about looking at Luna. It was his job to look at Luna. If she saw the Snitch, he had to beat her to it. But he did feel a little guilty about enjoying it. Luna and Ron were engaged.

He scanned the entire pitch, looking for the Snitch. He saw Hermione in the crowd, in her nurse’s uniform. Now that was a beautiful sight. She was so mature and still so young. She was so brilliant and yet foolish enough to love Harry Potter. She was so strong and yet so vulnerable.

Luna was moving! Harry had been daydreaming. He shot off after her. It was going to be close! He lunged for the Snitch but his hand closed on air. The Snitch darted to the side. Luna had it!

She was gone.

Harry circled.

What had happened?

Where was Luna?

The crowd wasn’t roaring for the Ravenclaw victory. A hush had fallen over the stadium. Madam Hooch had fainted.

“Harry!” Ron shouted. “Where’s Luna?”

“She caught the Snitch!” Harry yelled. “It must have been a Portkey,” Harry heard himself say.

The world was reeling around Harry as he landed in front of Dumbledore. “They got Luna,” Harry said.

“The Silver Prison isn’t ready,” Dumbledore said wearily.

Harry looked over at Ron, then he looked back to Dumbledore. “We’re going to rescue Luna.” Harry declared. “We’re going today!”

Harry flew over to Hermione. “Meet me in the common room,” he said softly to her.

He shot off towards the side door of the castle that led to George’s pantry. He found Dobby in the kitchen. “Contact Mrs. Malfoy, we’re going today,” Harry told the elf.

Harry flew to the Gryffindor common room. Hermione was there with Ginny, Ron and the boys.

Ron was pale. “Harry, what happened?” he asked fearfully.

“The Snitch must have been a Portkey,” Harry answered. “I think Lord Voldemort has Luna.”

Ron looked like he would faint.

“We’re going to get her back!” Harry shouted. “Voldemort’s plan to trap me failed. He’ll be thinking what to do next. He won’t expect a big attack. Ron, you take Ernie, Neville, and Terry to Dumbledore’s office. I’ll be there soon. We know where to go.”

Harry approached Hermione and looked into her brown eyes.

“Ginny and I are ready. We’ll get Luna back, Harry,” she said with determination.

Harry aimed his wand at Hermione and conjured ropes that tied her up.

“Harry!” Hermione shouted in surprise.

Harry gave her a kiss.

“No! Harry, don’t!” she gasped in terror.

“I have to,” Harry said quietly.

“The Silver Prison isn’t ready!” she sobbed.

“It has to be today,” Harry said.

“We fight together! I can shield you!” Hermione pleaded.

“Not this time,” Harry said.

He kissed Hermione again and turned to Ginny.

“Remember,” he said pointing a finger at her, “you promised.”

Ginny started to cry.

Harry turned towards the door and followed Ron and the boys.

“You won’t stop at just rescuing Luna! You’re going after Voldemort! Aren’t you?” Hermione wailed to his back. “You’re going to use the Brown Plan! AREN”T YOU?” she sobbed.


Harry strode purposefully to Dumbledore’s office. It had always been coming to this. It was his destiny. Hermione was strong. She would loose her magical powers but she would survive. Some day she would get over him and learn to love again. If it was another wizard, she would regain her powers. If it was a Muggle she would be a brilliant and successful Muggle wife. He should have been stronger. He should have not allowed her to love him.

He would not allow himself to think any more about Hermione. He had to focus on destroying Lord Voldemort. So long as Lord Voldemort was alive the Death Eaters would keep coming. Some day they would get lucky and kill him or Hermione or Ron or someone else Harry couldn’t bear to see die. Voldemort had to be destroyed, today.

Harry met up with Ron and the boys in Dumbledore’s office. The tall old Headmaster held an ancient magical talisman of great power, a staff that could destroy Dementors.
Bill and Fleur Weasley were there as well as Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey.

“Dobby has gone ahead. I’ve summoned the Order of the Phoenix.” Dumbledore told him. “We can free Miss Lovegood. We can capture Lucius and Draco Malfoy and give them to Mrs. Malfoy, and then withdraw. We will corner Lord Voldemort again, some other day, when the Silver Prison is ready.”

“Right,” Harry said. “We’ll go in and get out. We’ll wait until the Silver Prison is ready to attack Voldemort himself.” Harry didn’t look at Dumbledore. He knew that the old wizard guessed that he was telling a lie.

They touched the Portkey and were immediately sucked into a vortex that deposited them in front of the Malfoy home. Kingsley Shacklebolt apparated with a loud crack. Then Remus Lupin, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones, Daedalus Diggle and Mad-Eye Moody arrived by Portkey from Twelve Grimauld Place. Another loud crack announced the arrival of Arthur and Molly Weasley.

Mrs. Malfoy and Dobby came out of the house. She was carrying a bottle of wine on a tray. “Is this it? There are fewer than twenty of you!” she exclaimed bitterly.

“We are hopeful that reinforcements from the Ministry of Magic will arrive quickly,” Dumbledore assured her.

He was interrupted by a loud crack and the apparition of Old George and five house elves carrying wooden poles. The elves all bowed and Old George said, “We ask the Headmaster for permission to delay cleaning the carriage house and that he allow us to join him this day.”

Dumbledore nodded at the house-elves and turned to Narcissa Malfoy. “We must proceed at once.” Then Dumbledore stared into Narcissa Malfoy’s eyes. His face turned as rigid as stone as he concentrated. “Is this a trap for us Narcissa?”

“No!” she answered without hesitation. “Draco thinks I’m coming alone. The Dark Lord won’t be expecting you. I just want Draco and Lucius out safely.”

Dumbledore seemed satisfied that Mrs. Malfoy was telling him the truth, but there was a grim look on his face.

They crowded around Mrs. Malfoy and touched the Portkey or held the hand of someone who could touch it. Then the whole group was transported to an empty storage shed by an abandoned Muggle coal pit on the outskirts of Manchester. The members of the Order of the Phoenix hid in the shadows while Mrs. Malfoy called to Draco using a magic mirror.
Chapter 24 The Cage of Light by king
Chapter 24 The Cage of Light

The storage shed they were in was large, nearly empty and quite gloomy. The few high windows were all either very dirty or boarded up. Small strips of the dirty floor and walls were illuminated by intense beams of sunlight that just made the numerous shadowed regions seem darker by comparison. Harry and his two dozen companions scattered around the edges of the room hiding in the shadows. Disillusionment spells and invisibility cloaks completed their concealment. Mrs. Malfoy watched where Harry and the boys hid. Then she moved to the middle of the room and waited.

After a short time a small door that was set between two large garage-type doors opened and a beam of light from the setting sun streamed into the cavernous room outlining the silhouette of the young man in the opening.

“Mom?” he asked tentatively.

“Draco, mommy’s here,” Mrs. Malfoy said nervously.

“What are you doing here, mother?” Draco asked sharply.

“I had to see you baby,” she said in a trembling voice.

“I’m not a baby anymore,” Draco said coldly.

“You’ll always be my boy, Draco,” she replied.

Draco stepped into the storage building and as he did Harry noticed a slight shimmer of light in the doorway as if a figure beneath an Invisibility cloak had quickly stepped out.

Colloportus,” Draco intoned as he casually pointed his wand over his shoulder and closed the door. “You should not have come, mother. This is not a good time,” Draco said bluntly. “The Dark Lord is a bit disappointed by today’s events. He’s making new plans and I must be ready to hear what he says. I sit in the inner circle. You should be tending to our family businesses.”

“The mines and factories are in good hands,” Mrs. Malfoy stated. “I brought you a letter.” She held out a sealed envelope. “I’ve been in contact with Pansy. She misses you as much I do.”

Draco took a few steps towards his mother and stopped. His eyes were fixed on the envelope in her hand.

“I don’t have time for school yard romance,” he said with a sigh. Then his firm tone of voice returned, “I am the Sergeant of the Accolades, the leader of the Young Death Eaters. My duties to the Dark Lord must come first.”

“Pansy cares about you, Draco” his mother said. “You should read her letter and send a reply. I will see that it is delivered.” She took a step towards Draco holding out the letter.

Draco approached his mother with hesitancy and took the letter from her.

“I’ll make a light for you,” his mother said pulling out her wand. “Imperio,” she said.

The hard look faded from Draco’s face to be replaced by a blank stare.

“I’m doing this for your own good Draco,” his mother said tenderly. “You are not a murderer and you don’t really want to learn to kill. Tell me that you don’t really want to hurt anybody, Draco.”

“I don’t really want to hurt anybody mother,” Draco said obediently.

“I brought some boys with me. They want to become accolades of the Dark Lord.” She said as she waved towards the hiding place of Neville, Ernie and Terry. “Harry Potter thinks these boys are his friends. They will help perform a great service for the Dark Lord.”

Terry Boot, who was bright enough to be in Ravenclaw, understood Mrs. Malfoy’s hint and removed the Disillusionment spells he had placed on Neville, Ernie and himself. The three of them approached Draco and Mrs. Malfoy. Draco looked at Harry’s friends with a blank expression.

“Tell us all the secret of where the Dark Lord can be found so these boys can go to him,” she ordered Draco in an enthusiastic tone.

“The Headquarters of the Masters of Death is in the loading tower of the abandoned Muggle coal mine that is east of Manchester,” Draco said tonelessly.

“We must find your father and that Lovegood girl. Tell me where they can be found.” Mrs. Malfoy said to her son.

“Father is caring for Nagini,” Draco said with a hint of bitter embarrassment in his voice in spite of the Imperius curse. “He will be close to the Dark Lord at the top of the tower. The prisoner is in the dungeon beneath the tower.”

“Close your eyes Draco,” his mother said gently as she conjured a comfortable recliner chair behind him. “Sit down, lean back and take a little nap. Momma will take care of things.”


As the red sun settled below the horizon and twilight came to the dingy old coal mine, Dumbledore gathered the party together to organize the assault on Lord Voldemort’s tower.

Mrs. Malfoy had conjured a straight backed chair for herself and now sat next to the slumbering Draco. She would wait until they brought Lucius to her and then she would take her family and flee. She had a large bag of galleons with her and an unnamed destination in mind.

“We must cross from this storage shed to the loading tower without being detected,” Dumbledore said. “There is without a doubt a magical barrier between here and there that hides the true nature of their headquarters building. We will be able to pass through that barrier and enter their headquarters, but I do not want to loose the element of surprise.”

“Arthur and Molly, remain here with Mrs. Malfoy and Draco,” Dumbledore ordered.

There was a crack of apparition followed by a swish of an Invisibility cloak being removed.

“Ah, Kingsley you’re back. Excellent,” said Dumbledore.

“We will divide into three parties,” Dumbledore continued. “Allastor, Minerva, Daedalus and Poppy, I want you to remain near the ground floor to protect our avenue of escape. Ernie, pick two house elves and assist Mr. Moody. Kingsley, take Ron, Bill, Fleur and Terry plus two elves down into the dungeon to rescue Miss Lovegood. Harry, Neville, Remus, Sturgis, Hestia and two elves will go upstairs with me to capture Mr. Malfoy. Kingsley have you planned our approach?”

“We can’t just walk across the open yard and through the barrier without a great risk of being seen from the tower, although I do recommend the direct route for our retreat,” Shacklebolt advised them. “The main Muggle railway line passes very close to the siding where the coal wagons were loaded. This storage shed is next to a forest that abuts the railway line. I propose that we move through the woods, hop onto a Muggle goods train and hop off at the old coal loading tower. The distance between the main railway line and the magical barrier around the tower can’t be more than a few feet.”

So using Invisibility cloaks and Disillusionment charms to cover their movement, the group left the storage shed and headed through the woods to the railway. Harry wished he had brought his Invisibility cloak. They were better than Disillusionment charms but he hadn’t even had time to change out of his Quidditch robes. A train approached a few minutes later and slowed down to a crawl in front of them. The doors of several goods wagons opened so they could hop in easily. (It’s so easy to manipulate Muggle things with magic.) When the train passed the old coal loading tower they hopped off of the train and directly through the magical barrier that surrounded the Death Eaters headquarters.

When Harry and his friends hit the ground, they stood before a black stone tower with battlements and turrets like a mediaeval castle. It looked just like a giant rook from a wizard’s chess set. The old coal tower was just an illusion, a picture from the past that hid the recent changes at the abandoned industrial site.

Some Silencing charms and a few quick hexes dealt with the young Death Eaters, Crabbe and Goyle, who were guarding the main entrance of the tower. The party moved into the entry hall of the tower and split into groups. Harry followed close on Dumbledore’s heels up the stairs to the upper floors where Lucius Malfoy and Lord Voldemort would be found. They successfully sneaked past a room where some Death Eaters were enjoying their dinner. Their food smelled a lot better than death. Harry suddenly thought they should change their name to Beef Eaters and he had to suppress a giggle. They had to move on before his stomach growled and gave them away. There was an awful chill in the air. He was glad that Dumbledore had the ancient staff that destroyed Dementors.

They climbed another flight of stairs that lead them into a large, nearly circular room that occupied most of a floor of the tower. The room was obviously used for meetings. The room was decorated with symbols of Dark Magic including a pentagon and star on the floor. Harry heard a voice from a small side chamber.

“Reduced to menial tasks,” the voice complained.

Lucius Malfoy came out of the side chamber. Surprised, he was quickly silenced, disarmed, stunned, petrified and bound with magical ropes by Dumbledore, Harry, Remus, Sturgis and Hestia acting almost simultaneously. Sturgis and Hestia levitated Malfoy and started towards the stairs leading down. They were met by several Dementors gliding up the staircase, followed by Death Eaters. The world was instantly engulfed in chaos as spells began flying in every direction.

Harry battled with Rudolphus Lestrange for a few minutes. If Hermione had been there he could have defeated Lestrange very quickly, but without her Harry had to pause in his attacks to defend himself. Remus Lupin took over and Harry turned to see Dumbledore locked in combat with several Dementors. Lord Voldemort was aiming his wand at Dumbledore’s back.

“Wrong target Voldy!” Harry shouted, pointing his wand at the Dark Lord.

As Voldemort spun around, Harry shouted, “Expelliarmus!

Voldemort simultaneously cast the Killing Curse at Harry. In a repeat of what had happened almost three years ago in a dark cemetery near Little Hangleton, the red streak of light from Harry’s wand met with a green blast from Voldemort’s. A beam of golden light connected the two shaking wands and then splintered into a thousand more beams that crisscrossed all around Harry and Voldemort until they were surrounded by a golden cage of light.

As a fierce battle raged around them Harry dueled with Voldemort as he had done before. Pulsing beads of light formed within the beam that connected the wands. Harry immediately tried to push the throbbing beads towards Voldemort’s wand with all of the concentration he could muster but the Dark Lord was ready. They strained against each other, stalemated. Both of them were trapped, struggling desperately. It was just a question of who would tire first.

Beyond the cage there were the screams of Dementors as they were banished to another realm, curses and hexes, jinxes and charms. As Harry’s friends fought with the Death Eaters for their very lives. It was all a blur that Harry ignored as he concentrated on one task. Disarm Voldemort.

Harry strained and strained with all of his might, there was no movement of the beads.

“I am stronger than you! You are weakening!” Voldemort taunted him.

And sure enough the beads of light were moving slowly towards Harry’s wand. Harry struggled in desperation to stop them. The beads stopped their movement and the stalemate began again. It went on and on slowly but inexorably the beads were inching their way towards Harry’s wand.

The noises of the battle slowly died down. Harry glanced around. The beads moved towards him alarmingly but beyond the cage of light Harry saw Remus Lupin and Hestia Jones battered but victorious and now watching him. He saw Professor McGonagall, Neville, Old George and Dumbledore. Harry was heartened and cheered, the beads stopped and began to move away from his wand and back towards Voldemort.

“Evil will defeat good,” the Dark Lord said. “The good must fight and fight and fight, but evil need win only once. Mercy makes you weak.”

The beads once again began to slowly approach Harry’s vibrating wand and Harry knew he was approaching exhaustion. Behind Voldemort, beyond the cage of light, Harry caught sight of a girl with long red hair. Ginny Weasley? What was she doing here?

“No Hermione!” Dumbledore shouted. “You can’t apparate through the barrier of the cage!”

Harry turned his head to the right. Hermione stared at him with terror in her eyes. She reached her arm through a tiny opening in the cage and stretched towards him.

“NO!” he shouted.

The beads of light were pulsing just inches from the tip of his bucking wand.

He heard a zap and a yelp as Hermione touched a strand of light and was knocked back.

The beads of light moved closer!

He focused his concentration and tried with all of his heart to move the beads back towards Voldemort. The lights stopped moving towards his wand but he could not move them away. He was getting tired. He was going to loose. If the beads hit his wand would Voldemort’s Death Curse kill him?

There was another zap! And a thud as something white hit the floor near his feet.

It was a white dove.

Voldemort laughed at him.

The horrible beads of light were glowing green and were less than an inch from his wand. His arm was trembling with fatigue. His wand was bucking like a wild horse and was getting hot.

There was a flash of light at his feet and the stunned white dove changed into a battered Hermione.

He was millimeters from disaster. He had to hold on or Voldemort would kill Hermione too!

She struggled to her feet and pulled out her wand. Harry felt her hand on his back. She touched herself with her wand and then she touched it to him. Strength returned to his exhausted body and the beads of light were shoved back towards the Dark Lord halfway down the golden thread of light between their two wands.

Harry strained with renewed hope and the beads of light moved a few more inches towards Voldemort and stopped. The pushing match resumed.

Once again Hermione touched herself with her wand and transferred strength into Harry’s body. And once again the pulsing beads of light were pushed back towards the evil wizard. Now Voldemort was the one struggling to control a hot bucking wand.

For a third time Hermione gave Harry the gift of strength from her own body. She collapsed in total exhaustion. Harry shoved the beating blobs of light into Voldemort’s wand. Sparks and smoke and shades of spells previously cast spewed from Voldemort’s wand then the wand was torn from his hand. Harry raised his wand arm and the two linked wands rose into the air and hovered above the two combatants, the cage of light remained in place. Harry advanced on Voldemort.

“Fool! You are also disarmed also!” Voldemort cackled. “Now you shall learn that curses can be cast without a wand!” Voldemort raised his hands and shot green lightening at Harry.

Harry pulled out his other wand and used the shield charm to deflect Voldemort’s green lightening.

“You are fighting the greatest wizard of all time with a bamboo wand!” Voldemort shouted in indignant rage. “AAARGH!”

Green lightening shot towards Harry again and again Harry deflected it with his bamboo wand.

The enraged Voldemort shot several more blasts of green lightening at Harry without pausing. Just as Harry thought the Bamboo wand was out of preloaded Shield spells Voldemort had to quit to rest.

The exhausted Hermione began to stir. Voldemort’s eyes fell on her.

“She will die unless you let down the cage of light,” the Dark Lord hissed. “Allow me to go and I will leave you in peace.”

“For how long?” Harry asked with skeptical bitterness. “How many days of peace do we get before you try to murder us?”

“I’ll kill you both and then escape,” Voldemort threatened. “You have accomplished nothing!” He pointed a long bony finger at Hermione, “Crucio.”

Hermione screamed as Harry had never heard before. He had only imagined her suffering at the hands of Dolore Umbridge. To actually see her being tortured filled him with a terrible rage. She writhed and twisted on the floor and let go of her wand.

Accio!,” Harry shouted as Hermione’s wand jumped into his hand.

The Dark Lord immediately released Hermione and turned back to Harry but he was too late.

Incarcerous!” Harry shouted conjuring magical ropes to bind Voldemort.

“Release me and you can live! Join me and you can rule!” Voldemort offered in desperation.

“Somehow I don’t trust you,” Harry said as he dropped Hermione’s wand and grabbed Voldemort’s head with both hands.

PAIN exploded in every part of Harry’s body. The agony was horrific but Harry was expecting it. It was like the time he had grabbed Professor Quirrell. He knew that Voldemort was feeling it too and he didn’t care about his own pain. He wanted Voldemort to hurt, he wanted Voldemort to die. It was the only way to guarantee that he wouldn’t come back and try to murder Hermione and his friends. He held on and endured. He knew he was dying. The world began to turn black.

The pain eased a bit and Harry heard Hermione scream again. She was up on her knees. She was touching him! Clinging to his waist with both arms and screaming!

“NO!” Harry shouted, but he couldn’t shake her off.

Voldemort screamed like a hundred Dementors being sucked into hell. The Dark Lord crumbled into dust.

Everything went black.

Harry sucked in a breath and opened his eyes. He was lying on the floor, Hermione was on the floor next to him. He heard footsteps and concerned voices. Hands lifted him up, Neville and Remus.

“Hermione,” Harry croaked.

She didn’t move.

Harry wrenched free of his friends and fell to his knees next to her, embracing her and pulling her to him with both arms.

“Hermione… Hermione… no… no… NO!”

Harry sobbed and clung to her.

He felt hands pulling him. Pulling him away from Hermione. He struggled against them but he was too weak. He lost his grip on her.

“She needs to breath Harry!” Remus shouted.

“I must get her to the hospital at once!” Madam Pomfrey said frantically.

“Side by side apparition Poppy, we’ll hold her between us,” Professor McGonagall said.

The two women picked up Hermione and vanished with her.

Harry’s heart skipped a beat as she was wrenched from him. The disapparation separated her from him. Harry felt her leaving. She had to be alive!

The room spun around Harry as he was lifted to his feet by Lupin and Dumbledore.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a group of people entering the room. Ron and Luna were OK.

“Do you feel like an apparition to Hogwarts Harry?” Dumbledore asked.
Chapter 25 The End and The Beginning by king
Chapter 25 The End and The Beginning


Harry was shaking terribly from the stress and exertion of the battle with Voldemort but he had to see Hermione. So he got up and stood between Dumbledore and Remus Lupin. The three of them held hands and apparated together to the gates of Hogwarts. Harry had to know about Hermione immediately. He couldn’t wait to get to the hospital wing so as they walked through the gates and onto the castle grounds, Harry took out his wand.

Lumos,” he said dully, dreading the result.

In terms of magical spells, the results were pretty ordinary. Harry’s wand produced a glow of light comparable to a Muggle electric torch. Any first year student could do it. But that unspectacular glow of light from his wand told Harry that he still had his magical powers. It told him Hermione was still alive.

“I don’t understand,” Harry muttered to Dumbledore. “What happened?”

“You destroyed Lord Voldemort and saved the world from his evil plans,” Dumbledore told him.

“But I thought someone had to die to kill him,” Harry said.

“Indeed. And you were willing to sacrifice yourself. Most noble,” Dumbledore said.

“Hermione came after me, she could have died,” Harry said. “She had weakened herself to help me. I was linked to Voldemort and she was linked to me.”

“Yes, that was a terrible risk she accepted,” the old wizard said quietly.

“I don’t understand it,” Harry repeated. “No one died, except Voldemort.”

“I don’t understand it either. It is a mystery,” Dumbledore said. “But that sometimes happens with magic.”


They were stopped at the door of the hospital by Professor McGonagall.

“Madam Pomfrey and Susan Bones are working with the injured,” she told them. “The hospital is a busy place right now and Hermione is in no shape to see you, Harry. Go up to bed and get some rest. I’ll have some food sent to your room. You can see Hermione in the morning.”

Professor McGonagall escorted Harry to Gryffindor tower. He entered the common room and collapsed into a chair, unwilling to walk up another flight of stairs to get to his room.


“Harry, are you alright mate?” Ron asked when he came in a few minutes later.

Harry opened his eyes and looked up at his friend.

“Is Luna OK?” Harry asked.

“She’s fine, Harry,” Ron said. “Thanks to you, we saved her. How’s Hermione?”

“She’s alive, Ron,” Harry said quietly. “We’re both alive… and I don’t understand it.”

“What?” Ron said in confusion, “were you expecting someone to die?”

“Voldemort gave up his mortality. He wasn’t really a living creature anymore. He was different. Like an opposite form of life, anti-life,” Harry explained. “Someone had to die to destroy him. That’s what the books said. But he’s gone and no one died.”

Harry looked beyond Ron and saw Ginny.

“You promised me you would keep her safe!” Harry said angrily. “She could have died!”

Ginny looked as if she might cry. “You lied to me Harry Potter!” Ginny said defensively. “You said there was a chance that you could be killed. But you didn’t tell me you were going to sacrifice yourself! Hermione told me all about The Brown Plan. I never agreed to help you commit suicide!”

“She could have been killed! She could have been killed with me!” Harry shouted.

“She would have died without you Harry!” Ginny argued. “If you died she would die.”

“You don’t know that!” Harry snapped.

She believed it!” Ginny said crying. “I couldn’t do it Harry! I just couldn’t sit there and watch her go through it! She was breaking up! I had to let her go to you. I had to help her…”

“Harry, calm down! Relax. It’s all Okay,” Ron said patting him on the back, “Voldemort’s gone and you both lived!”

Harry took a deep breath and tried to calm down. “How did you and Hermione find us?” he asked Ginny.

“She used that silly wedding charm, Cognoscere Mea Vita,” Ginny said shaking her head. “In her hand, it’s like a global Harry Potter finder. She did it here and she knew you were about two hundred and fifty miles south of us. We took your Firebolt and ran out of the castle. Then we apparated to the railway station at Leeds. She had been there before. At Leeds, she did the Cognoscere charm again. She said she could tell we were getting closer because her wand was a bit hot. Then we flew west on the Firebolt until we saw a black stone tower like a piece from a wizard’s chess set. It was in a run down Muggle industrial area and looked a bit out of place. Then we saw Dad. He said the magical barrier around the tower had collapsed. Wizards from the Ministry were popping in all over the place.”

Ron helped Harry to bed. And Harry collapsed in exhaustion.


“You may come in and see her now Harry,” Madam Pomfrey said when Harry arrived at the hospital the following morning. “But be gentle with her,” she added sternly. “She’s very upset.”

Harry slowly approached Hermione’s bed. She looked as though she had been crying.

“I’m sorry, Hermione,” he began. “I didn’t want to die. I didn’t want to leave you. I love you. But I had to destroy Voldemort. We couldn’t live as long as he survived. He would have kept coming after us. I had to do it. I didn’t want to leave you.”

Tears began to roll down her cheeks. She let Harry embrace her.

“I planned on dying,” Harry confessed. “I’m sorry. I hoped you could carry on without me. I thought it was the only way to protect you from him. But…you came after me… and you saved my life,” Harry stammered. “For a moment… I thought you had died. I felt horrible. I thought you had died … in my place.”

“I’m sorry Harry,” Hermione said tearfully. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry…”

Hermione dissolved into tears and sobbing, saying over and over I’m sorry, I’m sorry..

Harry could not understand why she was apologizing!

He had left her to grieve while he had gone off to save the world and she had come after him and saved his life! There was no reason for her to be sorry. He held her and stroked her hair.

“It’s Okay Hermione,” he said softly. “Voldemort is destroyed. And we both lived. It’s alright. I love you. It’s alright.”

“I didn’t know, Harry. I didn’t know,” she stammered.

“Didn’t know what?” Harry asked.

“I was late but I thought it was just stress, just nerves,” she explained haltingly. “I did a terrible thing… but…I swear…I didn’t know.”

“You weren’t late! You saved my life,” Harry said kissing her. “We both lived!”

“That’s not it,” she sniffed. “I lost…” she sobbed. “I lost… the…our…I lost our baby.”

And she cried and cried and cried.


Three Months Later…

Harry awoke and sat up in the King-sized bed of the Honeymoon Suite of The Pumpkin Patch Bed and Breakfast. Hermione was looking out the window. She was wearing a filmy negligee that showed all of the features of her slender figure.

“Hermosa Hermione, what’s so fascinating outside?” Harry asked her as he put on his glasses to get a better look at her beautiful body. He was wearing only the bottoms of his pajamas and he thought about taking them off again.

“Do you remember those people from AHEM?” she asked.

“The Association of House Elf Masters,” Harry replied, “Yes, what about ‘em?”

“I think they’ve gotten their lynch mob pulled together,” she said with a sigh.

Harry and Hermione flew off into the moonlit night on Harry’s Firebolt. They were soon sorely wishing they on had more clothing, but they had each other for warmth and comfort. And no one could fly as fast as Harry and Hermione Potter when they were using sympathetic magic.


Seven Years Later…

Hermione looked down the railway track and thought. I can see the smoke of the train that’s coming from Hogsmeade. This has been an exhausting day! I got up before dawn, walked the dog, prepared breakfast, got the girls dressed, took the girls to Molly’s Coddling Daycare Center transformed into a dove, flew to London, had a gynecological exam at St. Mungo’s, did two hours of volunteer work in pediatrics, spent all afternoon arguing with those jerks in the Wizengamot and now THIS.

She couldn’t help but think about her girls. Justice is four going on eighteen. She’s a beautiful child with bright green eyes like Harry and long brown hair like Hermione, except it isn’t all bushy and unmanageable! She and her best friend, Evette Weasley, want to start experimenting with makeup! They’ll be heartbreakers when they get to Hogwarts. Colleen is two going on three with brown eyes like Hermione and black hair like Harry that’s impossible to keep orderly. Her first three words were: DaDa, Molly and Accio. I think she’ll be a very talented witch. She is certainly showing it early. (I wanna wan, mommy! I wanna wan!) She’s going through a clinging to mommy stage that really delays the drop off at Molly’s. Emmeline, the baby, has brown eyes and brown hair. Finally! I was beginning to think she was going to stay bald! She’s got an appetite like a pig. I hope Molly hasn’t broken down and given her another bottle just because I’m a little bit behind schedule. My breasts are beginning to ache.

Speaking of pain! Those people in the Wizengamot can be such stodgy old slugs! It took all afternoon to get permission to open a school in the Free Elf Village. And it isn’t going to cost the Ministry of Magic a Knut!

Now I see the headlight of the train.

I expected some opposition to the Elf Rights Campaign, but why couldn’t those people come up with a better way of expressing themselves!

“This is damned uncomfortable!” she shouted. “You tied me up and put me on this railway track without even a pillow! I’m pregnant!” (Again. Sigh.) “My back is killing me!”

Oh no, I think I can see the silhouette of the locomotive.

“This is so… so… cliché!” she shouted. If I could just reach my wand… These ropes don’t leave much wiggle room. My belly’s too big. And these breasts, I am such a cow! I could apparate away if it wasn’t for this stupid anti-apparation charm around my neck. I could transform into a bird and wriggle out these ropes. But silly me, I followed the law and registered my animagus form. They read about it and were ready for me! They had a transformation blocking charm too.

“Harry where are you?” she pleaded. I could use a heroic Auror right now! Molly must be expecting me. She’ll be searching the sky for a white dove. Oh Lord, I hope she’s told Harry I’m late!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

She screamed as the tracks jumped beneath her.

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

OW that hurts!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

I can’t die here!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

I’ve got projects to complete!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

I’ve got classes to teach!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

Patients to heal!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

The girls need me!

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

“HARRY!!!” she screamed.

BANG BANG … BANG BANG

CRACK!

With a horrible jerk that made her stomach flip, she was yanked off the track by a summoning spell and into Harry’s arms at the last second.

“Hermosa Hermione! What’s up?” Harry shouted as the train roared past.

“Oh Harry!” she gasped. “It’s about time you got here! That was a pretty rough snatch. I’m pregnant you know.”

“That thing you were doing there on the railway track looked like it could be dangerous,” Harry commented.

“Those people from AHEM tried to kill me!” she exclaimed.

“Excellent!” Harry said happily. “Now I have an excuse to arrest them! Do you know exactly who tried to do you in?”

“Yes! …”

“Great!” Harry interrupted. “You must tell me all about it this evening. Let’s get the girls and go home! I’m starving! What’s for supper?”


Latest Reports…

Ron and Luna got married and went into the publishing business. They revived the Quibbler and are busy searching the world for bizarre creatures. Ron managed to capture a Crumple-Horned Snorkack near Savukoski, Finland a few months ago.

Ginny Weasley has been in no hurry to settle down. She dumped Neville Longbottom and quite a few other boys since then. As chaser and captain of the league leading Appleby Arrows Quidditch team she is quite famous. Her singing career is really taking off too. You can often hear the ethereal sounds of her group Divination on the Wizarding Wireless Network. Lately she’s been seen a lot with Kingsley Shacklebolt. There’s quite an age difference between them but being the Minister of Magic he is the most eligible bachelor in the British Wizarding community.

Fred and George Weasley are making a successful go of their joke shop. Ironically, their current hot seller is a completely non-magical item, a Muggle-style T-shirt that says: “Ginny Weasley’s Ex-Boyfriend above a cartoon-style broken heart.

Percy Weasley is still involved in politics but he no longer has an exalted position at the Ministry of Magic. He now works as the recorder of deeds for the village of Hogsmeade.

At Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore passed away quietly in his sleep and Professor McGonagall became the Headmistress. Apparently Lord Voldemort’s death broke the curse that was on the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor’s job. Bill Weasley still holds that position and he is also the head of Gryffindor House. Fleur Weasley is the Potions instructor and Professor Binns is now the head of Slytherin. It’s thought that Professor McGonagall was trying to push Binns to “move on”, but it looks like he has reluctantly accepted his new duties and will probably hold the post for a long long time.

Narcissa Malfoy relocated her family to Greece, but the simple life of a shepherd did not appeal to Lucius, even though she had purchased property with a lovely stand of olive trees. Lucius Malfoy took them to Mesopotamia to hook up with an old acquaintance. Together the evil wizards made plans to murder the Potters and take over the British Ministry of Magic. Things were going fine until Draco and Lucius drank a bit too much and made some disparaging comments about Woggs and Ragheads that their host found offensive. In the ensuing fight, Lucius and Al-Hashish were killed and Draco was reduced to a gibbering drooling fool. Narcissa takes loving care of her boy, feeding him with a spoon and keeping his diaper dry. She had to hire a Muggle to help take care of the sheep and rumor has it this man is taking care of her needs too.

Harry and Hermione haven’t made it to Mexico yet but they’ve been studying tourist brochures for several years now and you can expect them to visit Cancun within a year or two. (Hermione esta una bruja muy hermosa!)

Hermione keeps herself busy taking care of the girls, campaigning for better treatment of House Elves, volunteer nursing, and substitute teaching at Hogwarts (mostly Transfiguration, Charms, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Potions, Astronomy, Muggle Studies and Herbology but if pressured she can teach any of the other courses too, except for Divination).

Harry is doing well in his job as an Auror and was recently promoted. He’s a loving father who takes good care of his daughters. His only regret is that he never had a son like the one he saw in the mirror of Erised on the day he realized that he loved Hermione.