A Battle of Mind and Heart by mollyweasleyisfantastic
Summary: CHAPTER 15 IS UP!!!! PLEASE READ AND REVIEW, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!


Ginny and Harry worked together throughout the war to overcome darkness, with some particularly unfortunate outcomes. As she looks back now and remembers their lives, the milestones and major moments, she finds herself lonely and missing her best friend. However, unexpected surprises await her as she moves forward in her life...hopes return as well as those she loves.


Thank you for all the reads so far, keep the reviews coming!
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 64393 Read: 60161 Published: 11/28/05 Updated: 09/25/07

1. The Engagement by mollyweasleyisfantastic

2. Enter James Potter by mollyweasleyisfantastic

3. Harry Would Be Proud by mollyweasleyisfantastic

4. Anything to Protect by mollyweasleyisfantastic

5. That Secrets Would Be Revealed by mollyweasleyisfantastic

6. Back To Life by mollyweasleyisfantastic

7. Harry's Journey Begins by mollyweasleyisfantastic

8. The Ministry Intervenes by mollyweasleyisfantastic

9. Dealing with Death and Decisions by mollyweasleyisfantastic

10. Others That Know by mollyweasleyisfantastic

11. Forever Means Forever by mollyweasleyisfantastic

12. Plans For the Future by mollyweasleyisfantastic

13. Please Welcome, Professor Potter by mollyweasleyisfantastic

14. Telling Stories and Teaching by mollyweasleyisfantastic

15. Assessing the Damage by mollyweasleyisfantastic

The Engagement by mollyweasleyisfantastic
I own absolutely nothing of the Harry Potter world and am simply a random fan daydreaming possibilities to JK Rowlings masterpiece!

***************************************************
There was something enchanting about the way the frost created perfectly symmetrical stars along the windowpane that had Ginny staring out towards the leaf-covered grounds. The sun was beginning to set along the horizon and a shadow of deepest red spilled over the crisp, autumn world outside and she was reminded once more of the life she’d never be able to leave behind, and the memories she’d never forget.

The stain of blood-colored light over the landscape laid a rock inside Ginny’s stomach. She swallowed hard and closed her eyes for a moment to remember his face as it was before the war-gentle, handsome and strong. His green eyes smiled at her as his messy black hair fell all over itself.

As she took a deep breath in, she could almost smell him coming in from a hard day of quidditch, and as she strained to remember his voice, she could almost hear his laughter reverberate throughout the room.

There was something very special about Harry Potter, and Ginny was determined to hold on to that forever, irregardless of circumstance.

______________________________________________

“Harry! This is silly! Where are we going? What are we doing here?” Ginny said laughing as her boyfriend, Harry Potter, pulled her hand towards the edge of a forest. “I don’t think I really want to go in here, Harry,” she said trying to get him to ease up on his grasp.

He looked back at her and smiled, his green eyes sparkling with the moon.

“Ginny, just a bit further,” he whispered.

She sighed to hide the excitement in her face. She liked to pretend she was a bit weaker than she really was, just to rouse comfort from Harry. They slowed as the thick, twisting trees began to engulf them until they were practically crawling through the maze the trees made.

“Much further, then?” Ginny whispered hoarsely.

“Yeah, just a bit more,” Harry replied without looking back. He was intent on finding something; that was certain.

Ginny sighed and watched the ground, covered thick with red and orange leaves. There was something about fall that always made Ginny fall more in love with the world around her. Perhaps it was the strong wind that always blew through her hair in the afternoons, or maybe it was the way the clouds covered the sky in a swirling array of gray paint. Either way, each moment was wonderful.

“Here,” Harry said confidently.

Ginny looked up to see that the place they were now standing looked no different than anywhere else in the forest.

“Harry, where are we?” She asked, lifting her eyebrow slightly.

“Just wait a moment,” Harry replied excitedly.

Ginny looked at his face, bold streams of moonlight blazing his cheeks. He was watching the treetops, never once looking down at her.

“Almost…” He whispered, the tension building.

Ginny peeled her eyes away to look at the same place he
was, but still there was nothing, just the shadows of very tall, twisty trees.

“Just a moment more…” Harry whispered again.

Ginny’s heart began to beat a little faster with the anticipation. What’s going to happen? She thought. That’s when she heard it…a gentle humming just above the trees. What on earth? It was getting louder now, a low rumble that was starting to vibrate around her body.

Harry squeezed her hand, still watching the tree tops. Then, like an explosion of color and sound, a swarm of birds erupted through the dark green canopy and began to race towards the ground, swirling and diving as if they were dancing towards her. They were vibrant shades of reds, oranges and purples, yellows and blues.

“What are they?” Ginny asked Harry, but heard no response as both were intent on the creatures before them.

When the birds were about ten feet above their heads, they began to slow the fall and moved their heads from nosedive to an upright position. One by one, in lines of color, they started moving in different directions around the trees. Rows of red wound around the trunk of one tree to her left, and purple to her right. An array of yellow birds planted themselves amongst branches as if lighting up the tree with stars.

Ginny was entranced.

“Oh, Harry!” She said softly as she watched a crowd of violently indigo birds form a ring around them.

As her eyes followed the circle that surrounded her now, she caught sight of the man standing to her left, looking a bit clammy and nervous.

“Harry?” A warm feeling always ran through her fingers when she said his name. Something about it was soothing and comforting.

He pulled a small green box out of his pocket with slightly shaking hands. His eyes met hers and she smiled.

He’s so beautiful…she thought.

He swallowed hard and took in a deep breath. She knew what he was about to do, and she bit her lip gently.

“Ginny?” He said, coughing to clear his throat. “Ginny, I…“ He looked down again, as if trying to gather the proper words.

“Are you all right, there, Harry?” Ginny replied after a moment’s pause. He didn’t have to finish, she was ready to say yes, but she let him speak anyway.

“Ginny, I love you, and I know that I tell this you every day, but it, it just never seems like enough.” Ginny’s eyes sparkled at these words. Harry was never much for mushy expressions and to hear him say something like this meant there was a serious purpose behind them. “I just, I find strength from you that I can’t find anywhere else…”

His voice trailed off again, but he kept his eyes on her. There were now hundreds of birds surrounding them, tangled amidst the trees and the air. It was as if every space around her was now filled with the gentle hum of their wings and the song of their brilliantly colored crests.

Harry took in another deep breath. “There’s an entire world in battle around us, and I have a huge part in that. We both know what I mean, and we both know that there is no turning from it. I have one goal now, and that is to end this war. But…you…I mean…what if something happens…”

Ginny leaned in and kissed him softly as her hands took hold of his jaw. She lifted to her tiptoes and kissed his forehead before looking back into his eyes.

“You don’t have to say it, Harry.”

“No, no I do, Gin,” He spoke quietly, but with authority.

That was something Ginny had fallen more in love with over time. Harry had the ability to command armies with the gentlest of words. He watched her for a moment.

“Ginny, I try to forget my past. I try to let it disappear into darkness, but it never will. I dream about it every night, and I wake up screaming out names…your name. I see his face…I see your face falling farther and farther away from me and I feel helpless.” Ginny took in the deep breath this time. “I don’t believe our world will ever be the same again, but I do believe that it’s possible to have at least some sort of future. Too many people have died to make that true, and too many will come to die, and I’ve realized it would be a horrible detriment to those memories to continue living in fear of loss.” He slid down to the ground with his left knee and took hold of the small box with both hands. “Ginevra Molly Weasley…would you join that future, would you spend the rest of your life with me?”

Ginny paused for a moment and Harry watched her deep brown eyes. She knelt down in front of him and took the box out of his hands. Setting it down at his side, she took his trembling hands in her own and let their fingers intertwine. She could feel the birds creeping in closer, the hum of their wings making a soothing song.

“Harry…you are a powerful, strong, loving wizard. They would be beaming with pride at your accomplishments.”

Harry swallowed even harder, knowing exactly who she was talking about, and Ginny could tell he was trying to be stronger than he really was.

“I know you loved them, and you spend a lot of time thinking about how things could have been different…I don’t want that for me. Don’t put me on a pedestal somewhere, because if we do this, we do it together, as a team. I won’t let you try to be a hero when I know I can do something for myself," she finished.

Harry pulled his hands away from hers and looked up at the swarm of beautiful birds that had now formed a sort of dome over their heads.

“Tierdans,” he said quietly.

“What?” Ginny responded, confused.

“The birds…Tierdans.” Ginny looked blankly at his face. “They’re called sweetbirds by the Centaurs because they have such a beautiful song when they hover like this. I found them when I was searching for Him in the Forest of Emandual. The first thing I thought of was how much you would love to see them dance amongst the trees, and for a second, I’d forgotten Voldemort could be hiding nearby, waiting to watch me die.” Again, Ginny remained silent. “Ginny, even in the darkest of times, you are the first thing I think of. You the person I fight for, you are the one person I fight to protect.”

He dropped his head into his hands and let his shoulders fall limp. Tears were starting to drip through his fingertips and Ginny sat unmoved, not sure exactly what to say.

“Harry…” Ginny finally cooed after a long awkward silence.

Harry paused, wiped away the tears on the sleeve of his jacket and looked into Ginny’s eyes once more.

“I can’t help it if I want to protect you, Gin, because I don’t know what I would do if something happened to you. However, one thing that made me fall in love with you was the fight within your heart. We are a team, and I rely on your strength to get me through each battle. I’ll never put you in a closet…” he took in a breath, “but I won’t send you into the middle of the fight, either…I just can’t.”

Ginny smiled, the fire in her eyes burning into his. There was just something so gentle about him, yet so fierce. He had such power within himself that he had yet to even realize, and such heart that she didn’t think he would ever understand the amount of love oozing from his very pores. She nodded.

“At that, Harry, how could I do anything but spend the rest of my life with you?”

The two spent a moment listening only to the sounds of the forest around them. She understands me in a way no one else can…he thought, his heart swelling with hope. Harry’s eyes glowed with joy as he popped open the velvet box once more to reveal a gentle, gold ring.

Ginny held out her left hand as he carefully slid the ring onto her soft, pale finger. He gathered himself to his feet and quietly pulled her close. Ginny kissed his chest and nuzzled her head into his shoulder, feeling the beat of his heart pound against her cheek. There was something that felt so safe when she was with him, as if she was invincible. He inspired her in ways she could never even begin to tell him.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Harry said releasing his embrace.

He sent up a green spark that disappeared into the trees, but sent all of the birds into a massive frenzy. The leapt from their perches, and fluttered about in the air and soon began to fly in a fast circle around the pair. Within seconds, every bird was swooping around Ginny and Harry, causing a rushing wind that sent dirt and leaves swirling through the air. Ginny laughed as she ducked into Harry once more.

She looked up for one last curious look to see the birds raging upwards in a magnificent stream of color and sound, flying fast out of view and away from the quiet spot in the forest.

“Just for effect, really,” Harry said with a grin. Ginny giggled and hugged him close.

___________________________________________________

A gentle creak let her know that her son was awake.

“Mum, school today?” He asked knowing that when his mother was staring off in this manner, she was not easily spoken to.

Ginny sighed and turned to see the spitting image of her husband. Her son was thin and pale with mindless black hair that flopped all over his head and brilliant green eyes that could penetrate even the darkest moments. He had a strong jaw and a gentle heart, a general concern for every creature.

“Yes, school today,” she responded with a smile. Today was his first day at Hogwarts, and even though she was excited at this prospect, it meant she would be alone once more.
Enter James Potter by mollyweasleyisfantastic
All things Harry Potter belong to JK Rowling and definately not me, I'm just messing around with them.

**************************************

Ginny watched as her son bounded up the stairs to his room, wishing he would always be there to wake her from her daydreams.

“Breakfast in 20 minutes,” she called at his back.

Ginny felt her heart beat with hope for the future that lay ahead of this energetic 11-year old. He was kind and mischievous, just like his father, and had all the talent Harry had ever dreamed of possessing. She thought she heard a muffled concur whisper back from the second floor and she peeled herself away from the window.

__________________________________________________


“Do you think he’ll have as much fun as you did in school, Harry?” Ginny asked quietly.

“He?” Harry lifted his eyebrow and grinned.

They would have no way of knowing if it was a boy or girl until the baby was actually born, but Harry could tell that Ginny was hoping for a son as much as he was.

He coughed out a gentle laugh, then, his hand placed gently on her swollen belly, replied in a stately manner, “No one can have that much fun.”

Ginny smiled and placed her right hand atop his. Harry looked up at her face, pale in the shadows of the tiny room, as his wife took in a breath of decrepit air. Ginny never let on how much it ached her heart to think about giving birth to a child in this place, knowing full well the weight that was already on her husband’s shoulders.

As she glanced around the room, she noticed the pine dresser to her right, missing all but three knobs and an entire front panel from the bottom drawer. Hanging on the wall above it was a dusty and faded painting of the mountains, offset by an elaborate bronze frame, engraved with delicate flowers, ridges and designs. The small bedroom door matched the walls with its array of paint colors showing beneath the various cracks and torn pieces of plaster. The rickety old bed they were laying on smelt moth-ridden and stuffy and the mattress sunk down to the fragile wooden planks beneath.

The only comfort amidst this rubble was the large yellow and brown blanket she had knit the month before.

Ginny shifted to her side and looked to the window, magically darkened to prevent anyone outside from seeing in. Tonight, however, it had been boarded up, with only a tiny crack visible towards the top. The death eaters were closer to finding them every day, and even the slightest bits of protection could make all the difference between life and death. She knew a few planks of aged wood would hardly stop a pack of death eaters, desperate to kill her and take Harry to his end with Voldemort, but there was a humanly comfort in at least knowing something extra was being done.

Ginny squeezed the hand on her stomach, her heart full of hope and despair at the same time. She could tell Harry was deep in troubled thought, although he never let on. Tonight marked almost four years that the battle had been raging on, and Harry was worn. He had been working mercilessly on the remaining horcruxes and at times it seemed he would never solve the riddles that guarded their identities.

Each day brought more momentum to Voldemort’s army and more and more death to the Order. Muggles had begun to die the year before, and the British Prime minister was spending all of his time trying to make up excuses and put innocent men away for the crimes to satisfy irate citizens. The magical world was in utter disarray, leaving very few intact.

“It will be all right, Ginny.” Harry spoke softly, as if knowing the next thought on his wife’s mind. He reached his arm around to comfort her, his body conforming to the tightly bent shape of hers. “I promise you that.”

Ginny forced a dim smile and nodded. She was too afraid to speak for fear of desperate words flowing from her lips-words of hopelessness and anger, desperation and desire. Her eyes burned with the powerful run of tears she refused to let Harry hear, and every bone in her body ached with need to explode into sobs as the thought of her unborn baby never surviving this war broke something deep within her.

This child would be so pure, so perfect…it had every right to experience life outside her womb. She dreamt of its smile, the tiny toes and fingers...her hands dug into her sweater and she curled her head into her chest.

Feeling frustrated at the lack of comfort he seemed to be able provide, Harry removed his hug and pulled out of bed. It was late in the night, but neither he nor Ginny were even pretending to be able to sleep; too much was on both of their minds. Ginny didn’t move, but quietly clasped her hands around her belly. She heard the door creak open and seconds later click shut, and she exploded with hungry, wet tears.
__________________________________________________

The sizzle of bacon filled the kitchen of the Potter home as Ginny reached into the cupboard behind her to pull down a few dishes. One hand fingered the smooth ceramic plates on the highest shelf whilst the other cupped two bowls on the second.

“James!” She hollered towards the stairs.

“Here, mum,” an excited voice replied.

Ginny looked down to notice her son had somehow appeared at her side and was reaching for the plates to help her unload. He quickly walked over to the small round table, cozy in a small breakfast nook across the room, and began setting the plates in their normal homes. Ginny smiled with motherly content to see how calm and responsible her son was, even though it would not last much longer. It was his last morning at home, and he was on his best behavior.

“Thank you, James. What would I do without you?” She giggled.

“I suppose you’ll miss me, then,” James said with a maturity in his voice far beyond that of a normal child his age.

Ginny smiled and replied, “Well, only when I need a good match for Wizard’s Chess, but at least now I can get a decent hour of sleep.”

She giggled again as James huffed and she ruffled his already messy hair. They ate breakfast slowly, talking all about Hogwarts and what Ginny had done when she was there. She gracefully avoided certain topics, but rambled on about Quidditch and sneaking out for snacks in the middle of the night. She made sure to remind her son that he was to behave at all times, but they both knew she was only being half-hearted. Deep inside Ginny looked forward to the mischief she knew her son was capable of, after all, he was not only part of Harry, but Weasley as well.

When they had finished Ginny sent her son upstairs to finish packing and as he raced away, called that they would leave for the train station in about an hour.

Unmoved, Ginny looked down at her plate, remnants of eggs still lingering along the edges. She always tried to forget about her past when she was with James, but more and more he just reminded her of it. She pulled at her neck where a scratched and pounded ring hung along an even more worn chain, rubbed it through her fingers with a blank motion, and found herself staring out the window once more.
__________________________________________________

Ginny hovered over the toilet, vomit breaking free from her mouth. Her cheeks were wet with tears and her stomach was sore from sobbing. Her palms slid down the porcelain bowl until they hit the floor. She didn’t think it was possible to cry anymore than she already had, but the tears continued to break free from her eyes. She heaved out great pounds of rough, scratchy air until her voice could no longer expel sound and she fell back onto her butt, her back propped against the bathroom wall. She shoved her hands through her hair pulling even more strands wild from their place in a low ponytail and left her palms smashed against her forehead, her elbows held up by her knees. She let out an exasperated grunt and dropped her arms limp between her legs.

“Idiot!” Ginny mumbled angrily to herself. “You’re such an idiot!”

Ginny looked up to the sink counter to see the bottle of blue potion sitting dangerously close to the edge. Another muffled curse passed her lips as she lifted herself up just enough to grab the bottle and collapse back against the wall. She stared at the small glass vile for a moment, taking in the thin, bright blue liquid and trying to accept what it meant.

Pregnant…of course. Just the sort of thing that would happen, wouldn’t it? Ginny thought bitterly.

As if this war wasn’t enough. Harry had gone into hiding a little less than a year before, and she had to sneak out in the night to apparate to his mysterious locations. Every time he moved, which was rather often, he would send her a coded note to let her know where to find him and even though Ginny almost never recognized these places, she would simply think about the words on the page, and Harry, and hope she ended up in the right place. Of course these visits were rare because of the sensitive nature of their situation. They had to be explicitly careful to not let anyone figure out what they had done, and especially try to stay undiscovered by Voldemort and his death eaters.

Ginny tugged at the gold band that hung along a simple old chain around her neck, and thought that this was the most precious item she’d ever owned, and knew it would be for the rest of her life. Harry had given it to her on a cold November night as they were married in secret, one week after he proposed. She let the metal slide through her fingers and let it slip onto her left hand. She heaved another sigh as she stared at the simple ring that now adorned her left ring finger and longed for the day it could remain there, without pain, and without fear.

She pulled the prize jewelry off and adjusted her eyes to the bottle still squeezed between her palms. Ginny was only 18, soon to be 19, and knew that this pregnancy was hardly a capable change. I can’t do this, Harry can’t do this! How will I tell him? How will he react? What will he say? A million thoughts raced through Ginny’s mind. There was so much to be said, and yet it seemed like she couldn’t say anything at all.

When Harry had proposed to her less than six months ago, they knew that marriage wasn’t something they wanted to wait on. Perhaps it was the uncertainty of knowing whether or not they would live to see another sunrise, or possibly the overwhelming sensation of adventure that came with this relationship, but either way, this engagement would not linger.

The Order had already expressed concern to Harry that he not get involved with Ginny during the war for fear that the death eaters would find out and use it against him, which had been the reason Harry had broken up with her when Dumbledore died the few years prior. He would have agreed with them whole-heartedly had he not come to the inner-understanding this last August that as much as he wanted to protect her by staying away, there was ultimately no better protection for Ginny than his own presence. Ginny was not the kind of girl that would be held back, thus she would be fighting alongside her brothers in deep combat. It was something he loved about her, but another reason he knew she would not be safe, and wanted to be by her side.

Ginny could tell that Remus Lupin was suspicious of the amount of time her and Harry began spending together, and believed part of the reason he was sent away into hiding was as much for his own safety, as it was hers. She felt horrible lying to everyone about their relationship, about their fierce love that was fast growing with more and more intensity, but it was decidedly better to keep them as clueless as possible. The less they knew about Harry, the harder it would be for Voldemort to catch up.

Her heart began to swell with courage as she remembered her husband and the vow they’d made to stick together, to keep each other through everything. They had defied her parents, and everyone they’d ever known as family, to get married, knowing they would be together forever, whether anyone else thought it was the right time or not. When is it ever the right time, anyway? Ginny sighed, cocking her head sideways as she rested it against the cold wall.

In the bathroom of a tiny house that served as a temporary command center for the Order on the outskirts of London, Ginny pulled herself to her feet with what little strength she had left. “I have to talk to Harry, that’s all that can be done.”

__________________________________________________

“Mum?” James voice exploded into the kitchen and Ginny’s hand fell into the plate of leftover food.

“Right…oh…” she said as she fumbled to gather herself. “Ready to go, I suppose?” She stopped to smile at James and took in a deep breath. He nodded excitedly, his trunk resting beside him and his beautiful snowy owl rested in between his arm and hip.

*******************************************
A/N: Please read and review-I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks, all things. Thank you so much!
Harry Would Be Proud by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I own nothing of Harry Potter!! Totally just messing around with it.

***********************

Ginny pocketed her wand as they headed out the front door, James bouncing down the steps of their small, wonderfully cozy home. She reached for his trunk, but he insisted on carrying Merrit, the beautiful snowy owl he picked out a few weeks ago. He had always told Ginny that he wanted an owl like his father from the stories she’d told him about Hedwig. Unfortunately Hedwig had disappeared with Harry’s death and Ginny had never had the heart to replace her, until now.

Ginny watched her son eye the bird carefully, being ever so cautious to not shake her cage. She thought she heard James tell the owl that she was going have loads of fun at school with him, and she pretended to smile.

I suppose he’s really leaving, then, she thought as the feeling washed over her once more. Her only son, and closest friend, was leaving the safety of her arms and taking her sanity with him. She had arranged to work much more now that he would be away; anything to occupy her mind, although her brother’s shop was hardly her ideal career.

Fred and George had created a bit of an empire with their gags and jokes, especially during the war when everyone was desperate for any sort of moment to make them smile. Weasley’s Wizards Wheezes had shops all over the world now, and the twins hadn’t much time for anything besides. That is, except for when the Order had needed them - then they were always ready and available. That was how Fred had died…the same way that Harry had, on that final night of battle. It held Ginny, as much as George, to know he had died with honor and fame which in tow only increased the popularity of the shop, which is how Fred would have wanted his death to affect the world. She felt her insides smile a bit at that last thought…even in death she could hear her brother praising the success of his business endeavor, to ensure the continuation of trouble-making everywhere.

George had asked Ginny to help run the most popular shop, in Diagon Alley, and she agreed out of desperation to get her mind off of Harry. She found that she was rather creative when it came the different potions and bobbles, and helped George invent a few of his most popular sales, but no matter how hard she tried to forget, everything reminded her of death. George reminded her of Fred, and this shop reminded her of a time when everything was warm and gentle, and her entire family was intact. Now only she, George and Ron remained.

“Do we have to ride in cars like muggles, mum?” James asked as Ginny popped open the back door to a long, slender, blue car.

“I’ve told you this before, James, we don’t really have another choice.”

James scrunched his mouth to the side in a sigh and gently set Merrit down next to himself.

Ginny, noticing his expression, smiled just a bit. “James, you’re a lot more popular than you know, and the ministry has very graciously offered us this car to get to the station instead of having to take some other muggle means, such as the tube or a carriage.” He nodded, nonplussed.

Ginny thanked the driver as he dropped James’ thick new trunk into the boot of the car and walked to the other side to let herself in.

“James…” she said, trying to figure out the perfect words, “I’ve told you a lot about your father, things that I have felt are very important for you to know about him.”

He looked at her with his powerful green eyes and she choked on her words. It was so cruel that Harry had only a few years with this toddler-turned little man who was so much becoming his father’s equal.

“Well, I suppose, I just want you to understand the meaning of all this; I want to make sure that you know why everyone knows your name, and his name.”

“It’s because he is the boy who saved the world, right?” He said nonchalantly petting Merrit.

“Well…yes, I suppose. I know we’ve talked about Voldemort, and I’ve told you all about the adventures and trials your father faced in his journey to end the Evil Wizard’s reign, yes?”

“And I’ve read all the books, and Uncle Ron has told me all sorts of stories.” Ginny nodded with a bit more ease. She had made certain to raise James with full knowledge of what his father had done for the entire world, both muggle and magical, but most importantly, for him. It was never her desire to hide anything from her son, feeling that it would be a horrible disservice to Harry’s memory and honor.

Yet even more than just the sheer love of her husband, was the fact that James Harry Potter was famous for no other reason than his father was famous, and she never wanted him to be left in the dark about his fortune, the way that her husband had been for most of his life. It was her aim to ensure that James always knew his place, though, as a wizard. He might be famous, but that was no call for arrogance or selfishness or gain. His father had been humble and modest to his end despite all possibilities of greed and cockiness, and that was the way her son would live as well.

“Well, it’s just that if anyone says anything at school, or tries to treat you differently…”

James cut her off and finished the familiar statement for her, “remember that I am the same as everyone else.”

She ruffled his hair again, which he never minded because it was in a constant state of disarray anyway, and pulled him close.

“Do you think the kids will like me?” James said quietly, his voice so similar to his fathers.

“Not with that hair,” Ginny teased and James pulled away from her hug. “I’m just kidding,” she laughed, “of course they’ll like you!”

“I suppose if they don’t I can tell them that George is my uncle…they’ll be sure to like me then!”

Ginny laughed again, knowing how true a statement that was. The Weasley twins were a bit of legend at Hogwarts, both for the things they achieved while attending, and for the store in Hogsmeade that had entertained many a student in the last decade.

“Don’t forget about Uncle Ron, either, James,” she said with a large smile. “Just wait until he comes, and then you’ll really have some friends!”

Ron was one of the most famous Quidditch players of the day and he made regular appearances at Gryffindor practices to assist the team. Every once in a while he would give Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw pointers to use against Slytherin, which some professors found rather irritating and tried to proclaim as cheating, but it never stopped Ron from doing it.

“Oh, and James, remember that while you’re at school it is Professor Weasley, not Aunt Hermione, yes?”

James nodded obviously exasperated with the exhaustive run-down Ginny was giving him. It made her feel much better knowing that the only family she had left would be so close to him while he was at school.

The rest of the car ride was pleasant enough with James asking a few nervous questions that Ginny was obliged to answer. When they pulled into King’s Cross Station, however, Ginny felt that thick, heavy lump return to her stomach, knowing it was really time to say good-bye to her son.

She purposefully moved a bit slower than usual, and made James hold her free hand as they wandered through the crowds. She didn’t see any familiar faces hovering around, and she felt her heart skip a gentle rhythm as she watched her son disappear into the brick divider between platforms nine and ten. She followed immediately behind him and saw, with breathtaking awe, the giant maroon train that had transported her to Hogwarts so many years ago. It was here that she first met the man who would someday become her husband, and she felt her eyes water as she remember what naiveté had encompassed her young life.

A loud whistle screeched over the crowds of families wishing farewells, and Ginny dropped to her knees and pulled James into an airless hug. She sucked in every ounce of strength within her body to restrain her tears as she heard the warm voice of her son speak.

“Dad would be proud of me, today, wouldn’t he?”

Ginny pulled him back slightly so that her eyes met his. “So proud,” she responded deeply, “so proud.”
______________________________________________

“Harry, stop! It’s me!” Ginny cried as Harry’s wand reached towards her chin.

“Ginny?” Harry responded in disbelief as he lowered his wand. “What are you doing here? What’s going on? Don’t you know how dangerous it is to just show up like that? I could have hurt you!” Harry’s voice simmered as he saw the gleam of tears begin to fill Ginny’s beautiful brown eyes. “Ginny?”

“Harry…” Ginny was too embarrassed and unsure of what to say.

“What’s happened?” Harry said, frightened, as he grabbed onto both of her shoulders. Ginny noticed how strong his grasp had become over the last month, and wished she had a better reason for appearing like this.

“No, Harry, no one’s hurt,” she said knowing what he was thinking, “It’s something terrible, just not…it’s just that…” Ginny burst into tears and flung her arms around Harry’s neck.

Uncertain of the cause of such tears, but familiar with them nonetheless, Harry stood unmoved, letting Ginny soak his shirt with heart-breaking sobs. He caressed her back with a soft hand, and moved her to the hole-ridden sofa that sat in the center of the tiny room. There were blankets piled messily at one end, showing sign that Harry had only woken up recently. He pushed her softly from his chest and lifted her chin to meet her eyes with his own.

“Ginny, you have to tell me what’s going on. What’s happened?”

Ginny felt her heart wretch as she gazed into the brilliance of his eyes. There was so much passion and fight amongst them, but so much weight. Dark circles had begun to form beneath and she could tell he had not gotten much rest as of late. How bad will this hurt him…Ginny contemplated as she took in a courageous breath. There was no more time for silence, and even less for secrets.

“We’re going to have a baby, Harry.” Ginny waited, feeling more guilt impound upon her.

She could see Harry swallow quietly as he sat in stillness. Sharp pains began to fill every space on Ginny’s body as she waited for him to respond.

“Are you certain? When did you find out?” He finally said in a barely audible voice.

“Just a few hours ago, and I’m fairly certain. I didn’t know what else to do but come to you first, Harry. I didn’t think we could risk telling anyone else.”

Harry nodded stiffly and stood up, walking towards the back of the couch. Ginny watched him pace ever so slowly as he ran his long fingers through his jet black hair. He stared at the ground for a moment, and Ginny could hardly stand the calm.

“Harry, I’m so, so sorry,” she began.

Harry looked up hazily and sighed as more tears poured down her flushed cheeks. He could tell that these were not the first tears she’d cried today.

“Ginny…”

“I know, Harry, I know. I’m so sorry!” She began to sob even harder, thinking that he was about to scold her for this terrible mistake.

Harry walked swiftly back around the couch and sat even closer to her than before. “No, Ginny, don’t be sorry. Please, don’t cry, Gin, you have nothing to be sorry for.”

“It’s all my fault, Harry, I was so stupid the last time I saw you. I mean, I just, I hadn’t seen you in a few weeks and I missed you so much, I didn’t take the time to think…I just…I was so stupid!” Ginny shoved her face into her hands, feeling like a failure to her secret husband.

“Ginny,” Harry said calmly, pulling her hands from her face and holding on to them with even more strength than he had with her shoulders, “I believe it takes more than you to…well…” He smiled coyly at the memory.

“But Harry, I mean, I wasn’t responsible about this, I got carried away and forgot about important details! I am so sorry!”

“You weren’t the only one to get carried away, Gin. I certainly remember being rather excited to see you myself.” He blushed a bit at this line as Ginny smiled, both remembering the way they had ravaged each other at first second alone.

There was another awkward pause and Ginny, finally calming herself, said softly, “So you’re not mad? I don’t understand, Harry, you’re not upset with me?”

“Rather elated, in fact,” he replied with a grin.

Ginny was confused, unsure of what he was possibly thinking. “What are you talking about? Harry, what are we going to do about this?”

“What do you mean ‘do about this’? We’re going to have a baby, Gin, that’s what we’re going to do.”

Again, confounded, Ginny spoke a little louder. “But…we can’t have a baby, Harry. We’re not even supposed to be married! In fact, we’re not even supposed to be dating! How would we ever manage a child in these circumstances? And what about…” She paused with an open mouth, wondering if she should add what she was thinking.

She didn’t have to.

“Voldemort?” Harry finished. “What are we going to do if he finds out? Well what were we going to do if he found about you?” Harry stood up once more and threw up his hands in frustration. “I’ve been deprived of a family my entire life, Gin, and I’m tired of it! Why, when something that is supposed to be so wonderful and good happens to me, do I have to hide it, or remove it from my life? We decided to get married even though we knew how dangerous it would be, and we knew the risk we were putting on both our lives-it didn’t matter what the world was doing around us because we were determined to be together. How then is this not possible? How is this baby any different? Why must we get find some way to not have this baby? Besides, I thought we wanted a family, Ginny.”

Ginny was quiet. There was so much running through her mind, she wasn’t sure where to start. “But how, Harry, how? I do want a family, but this is not the time.”

“I don’t know how, but we didn’t know how we would ever get married, did we? It wasn’t the right time for that, either, and somehow it worked out.”

“Yes, but Harry that was a bit different. We can hide this marriage from the eyes of the world, but how will I hide a nine-month-along swollen belly, and then a child? I certainly think the world would notice something then!” The couple stared at each other in silence, both searching for response.

Harry leaned down in front of Ginny and placed his hands on her knees. “Do you want this baby, Gin?” He asked with a very serious face.

“Oh, Harry,” she said placing her hands down upon his, “I just don’t see how it’s possible.”

“No, Gin, that’s not what I asked. Do you really want to have this baby?”

Ginny wanted this little child more than anything, but she feared if she admitted it out loud she wouldn’t have the strength to do what was necessary. As she tried to shake her head negatively she noticed a hope in Harry’s eyes that hadn’t been visible since the day they were married and her nod became an unconscious yes.

“When I proposed to you, you wouldn’t tell me yes until I told you that we would be equal partners in this marriage. You demanded that I wouldn’t try to protect you and put you on a pedestal. I’m asking you the same thing right now, with that same needed understanding from you that you demanded of me.”

Ginny watched his eyes carefully. “What do you mean, Harry?”

“I mean that, right now, I need you to gather that same strength you had when I proposed. That fire, that blaze in your eye that told me you would do anything for this, for me, because you loved and believed in me.”

“Harry, of course I love you!” Ginny said, leaning even closer to his face.

“I know you do, but I’m asking if you are willing to fight, to be strong and do whatever it takes…I’m asking you what you want to do. I don’t care about anyone else, or what we should do for any other person “ just you. I want to know what you want.”

Ginny took in a solid breath. She wasn’t sure where Harry was leading this conversation, but it didn’t scare her. She could still see that there was something fresh in his eye that she hadn’t seen in a long while, something that told her he desperately wanted this child to become part of the world he was fighting to free.

“What do I want?”

Ginny stared at her hands, still placed over Harry’s. She knew exactly what she wanted: her brothers back from death, her friends returned, the war to be over and to tell everyone about her marriage as well as to be happy rather than sad that she had conceived a child with the man she loved. But these desires could not be filled and she met Harry’s gaze with determination.

“What I want Harry James Potter, is just to be with you.”

Ginny inched closer and leaned into his lips. They were dry and rough, much like his hands, but passion flowed from them in the deepest of ways and she felt as if she couldn’t breathe for the butterflies that aroused in her stomach. Harry pulled his hands out from under hers and placed them softly on her neck, pulling her tighter into the kiss. Ginny’s arms wrapped around his waist and Harry responded quickly, gently pulling her off the couch and onto the cold, wooden floor. Grabbing a blanket on her way down, unrelenting of her kiss, Ginny felt her body collapse beneath his and was swept away in his touch.

Wrapped in her husband’s shirt, Ginny sat up and smiled at Harry, flushed and hot. She blushed a bit as he smoothed her tangled hair then reached over for one more, tender kiss.

“Harry…we can’t avoid this, you know,” she said as he stood and stretched.

“I don’t want to avoid it, Ginny, I want it.”

“Yes, well, that certainly was a distraction,” she said quietly, not meaning to be angry, but realizing reality had not been swept away in their passion.

“Is that what you thought I was doing? Distracting you?” Harry responded slightly flustered.

Ginny looked at his body and admired the muscles on his chest. “So what do we do, then? How can we hide this from everyone, least of all my mum. She’s always the first to notice when a woman is expecting, and I would think that would be in full strength with her own daughter.”

Harry looked at Ginny firmly, and she already knew what he was going to say, and she admittedly agreed.

“We can’t do this on our own, I think we both realize that. But it’s too dangerous to just tell anyone. We have to be very careful, Gin, very careful.”

“But who can we turn to, Harry? My mum would be an emotional wreck, not to mention the addition of having to tell her that we married under her nose months ago.”

Rummaging through the names of everyone they knew and trusted, passing by both Ginny’s parents as well as Hermione who would assuredly tell Ron, McGonagoll and Moody, they rested with one name, one person they knew would help them and keep their secret safe: Remus.

“I’ll send for him straight away-” Harry started, but stopped when he saw deep thought creep over Ginny’s face once more. He leaned down and kissed her softly on the forehead, next to her nose and then lastly to her lips where he stayed for a moment longer. “What are you thinking, Gin?” He asked, barely apart from her mouth.

She looked deep into his eyes with that gentle, yet powerful gaze he’d come to know and love, and said with a grin, “Can you imagine how proud you’ll be the day he gets his first Hogwarts letter?”
______________________________________________

James leaned in for one last hug then ran towards the train where a line of kids were hanging out the window, waving good-bye and laughing. James turned to smile and for a moment Ginny’s heart skipped, thinking it was Harry himself. His thin body disappeared amongst the crowd of fellow students and she waited as the train pulled away.

****************

A/N: Thank you for all the reads and reviews so far! Keep them coming!
Anything to Protect by mollyweasleyisfantastic
JK Rowling is the sole owner and creator of Harry Potter-I own nothing.

**********************************************
Ginny felt her hands fall awkwardly to her side as her body become rigid and cold. As the steam from the deep red train disappeared into the distance, she could feel her heart being pulled with it. Even though she told herself that she wanted to forget about her past, she knew the truth was opposite, and having James around kept the warmth of Harry’s soul alive. With James removed from the home, all presence of Harry would eradicate with it.

An emptiness filled her lungs and all she could feel was the bitter quiet of the now empty train station. There was so much left unsaid between her thoughts and reality, so much denied and displaced to shield her body from any more pain, all of which was now finding its way to the surface.

James was the perfect representation of her husband and she had allowed her mind to meld the two into one being. Even though she saw the two as very different individuals, James somehow glued the gap between her lonely existence and the love of Harry, and with James no longer around she would have to accept that Harry was really dead and never coming back.

How was a woman supposed to deal with this kind of loss? How does a wife say good-bye to the man she loves? How does a mother wave farewell? Ginny shook her shoulders and thought about James again. He was only going to Hogwarts and she could see him any time she really needed to, and he would write.

“What am I doing?” She said to herself calmly. “I’m getting worked up over nothing.”

Ginny shook her head to rattle out the thoughts. I have to get on with my life, she thought, this is getting ridiculous. Harry would hate to see me like this, I need to be strong again, brave again. A cold sensation began to tighten around her lungs as she choked back emotion.

“Mrs. Potter?” A deep man’s voice said, startling Ginny from behind. She whipped around to see a tall, chubby figure wearing a maroon uniform to match the train and noticed at once that he was the caller.

“Yes, I’m sorry, I’m on my way now,” she said quickly brushing past to leave.

“No, no, Mrs. Potter,” he called after her, “I noticed you with your boy and I, well, I was just going to tell you that it’s my youngest son’s first year as well…we couldn’t be prouder...and I just wanted to tell you, well, that it gets easier.”

Ginny smiled meaninglessly, knowing his intentions were well, but hated the conversation all the same.

“They send you letters telling you what a wonderful time they’re having and your heart gets a little lighter with each word…well, I’m sure you remember, anyway.” Ginny huffed quietly and the man stepped forward slightly. “Really…well…I really wanted to tell you, as well, that…” the man fumbled for words and Ginny could tell that it was hard for him to conjure just the right sentence. “Well, I just wanted to say that Hogwarts needs your boy same way it needed his father, everyone knows he’ll be just as powerful if not more.”

Ginny stared back at him blankly, a bit offended at his boldness. The man blinked awkwardly.

“Your husband-he saved my family’s life. He left the wizarding world the greatest gift he could have in your boy. You be proud, and know that we’re all excited to see what becomes of the son of greatest wizard to ever live.” He watched her innocently for just a moment, then gave the gentlest nod and walked away.

Ginny stood in confusion and flattery. She did enjoy it when people complimented both her husband and her son, but never let on why it hurt so badly to hear it. She stood for a second longer, accepting within herself that today would not be a day to be powerful-tears were pushing at her eyelids and she didn’t have the strength to hold them back.
__________________________________________________

“Remus, please…say something…”

Remus caught his eyes like hungry fish hooks and took in a solid breath. “Harry…what do you want me to say?”

“Something…anything,” Harry replied carefully.

“How long has this been going on, did you say?” There was an eerie calm about the phrase, similar to that which comes before a terrible storm.

“Well, we were married in November, but we’d been dating for more than a year before that.”

“A year? And no one knew? No one at all?” He pressed out bitterly, but still without the full force Ginny knew was coming.

“Well, I think there were suspicions, even with you, Remus, but we knew that for the safety of everyone our relationship would have to be hidden from all, even those most dear to us.” Harry looked so calm, and so strong. Ginny missed seeing this side to him.

Remus waited. “I don’t understand. Why would you do something like this? Didn’t you understand how dangerous it was? I mean, and sneaking out to see each other? Ginny, Harry especially, didn’t you think that there might be death eaters watching your every move? What possessed you to think you could just…run off and marry? I can’t even…I don’t even know where to begin! I mean…this is just ludicrous!”

The fire was welling up and Ginny knew the explosion was fast on its way.

“Remus, look, we don’t pretend to think it was an easy decision or believe that we can just play house. We know how dangerous our choices were-“

“You know, you say?! You know how dangerous your choices were, really? So tell me, Harry, tell me, then, what you were thinking. Because I will tell you what I was thinking when I told you long ago that you should concentrate on this war and this war alone! I will tell you what I was thinking when I told you that you should not date Ginny! And I will tell you what the rest of the order were thinking when they put their own lives on the line to protect you from this very thing!”

“Protect me?!” Now Harry was getting angry as well.

“Yes, Harry, protect you! We all knew that the two of you had feelings for each other and we knew how dangerous it would be for the war, were you to act upon those feelings!”

“I don’t think I need to be protected like a little child anymore, Remus!”

“Well obviously you do or you would never have gotten yourself into this ridiculous situation and called me for help!”

“This situation is not ridiculous! Ginny and I are in love and there is nothing that could be said to change that, so rather than wasting away thinking about not having her, I took action! And I think it’s worked out just fine until now! We understand that this is not the greatest position we could be in for the time, but we here regardless, and something has to be done about it. I thought I could come to you if I needed help!”

Remus looked almost more hurt than upset anymore, as was Harry.

“Harry, you can come to me, and I’m glad that you know that. I’d just hoped the help you’d need would be something a bit different than this. Have you thought about what this will mean? How will you possibly hide a child from Voldemort? How will you win this war when your concentration is on a crying baby in desperate danger every moment of its life? And what about the horrible position you’ve put Ms. Weasley in?”

“I can take care of Ginny; if I didn’t think I could don’t you believe I would have chosen a different path about this? I will get her through this, no matter how I have to go about doing it.” Harry looked adamantly at Remus then glanced to Ginny as if he had said something particularly wonderful.

Ginny scoffed. Even though she admittedly wanted help in this moment, she knew she could certainly take care of herself. She pulled in between the dueling men and demanded, “It is Mrs. Potter now, Remus, thank you very much, and I don’t appreciate being talked about as if I do not exist! Don’t you think I can make decisions on my own? Wouldn’t I have put myself this position? And you Harry! I don’t need you to get me through this! I am quite capable on my own!”

“No, Gin, I…” Harry fumbled, confused at the turn.

“Ginny, please sit down,” Remus pleaded exhaustedly.

“I will not!” She scoffed again, her hands on her hips in a very Molly-esc form. “It’s me you should be blaming for all of this, anyway, not Harry! He didn’t ask for any of this! I was the one who was irresponsible and wouldn’t leave well enough alone! I wasn’t satisfied being away from him and was determined that he loved me. I know I should have left him alone, Remus, and I know I should have been more careful to ensure that a baby wouldn’t come! But now it has happened, and well…well, I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it is. So don’t be angry with Harry, be angry with me, however, right now we need your help, not your judgment.”

Ginny remained firm, although she could feel her courage leaving her and her hands were becoming shaky. She took in another defiant huff of air and waited, trying desperately to keep the tears from surfacing.

Harry stepped towards her, his arms out to catch her frail body within them. “Ginny, I’ve told you that this is not your fault! Please, you are not the one to blame in this!”

Ginny pushed back slightly, shaking her head. “No, Harry, we both know that I could’ve done something to prevent this. I won’t let you take the blame for what has happened. Not this.”

“And I won’t let you take the blame for it either,” he said softly.

Ginny let herself catch his sincere, gentle eyes and saw that they were filled with as much pain as her own. She began to cry and collapsed into his chest as Harry threw his strong arms around her, kissing the top of her head and whispering simple comforts into her ear.

Remus watched as this scene unfolded and felt a twinge in his heart for the young pair before him. He still did not agree with what they had done, but for a moment he understood and felt empathy for their situation. He should never have underestimated Harry, after all Harry had always proven himself as an overly-capable boy and now, as a fully-grown wizard. And Ginny…poor, sweet Ginny. She had also shown her true colors over the last years, fighting alongside the Order, never complaining, never showing grief or faltering when death came upon her life.

Amidst all the trouble and worry over battle Remus had forgotten that the two were real, gentle, loving people with genuine emotions. He swallowed hard knowing that there was only one possible answer, a tough and desperate one, but an answer all the same.

He shuffled out a cough to catch their attention and spoke softly. “This will take time to figure out, but I believe there is a solution, it will just take some finding. Let’s not waste any more time.”

Ginny and Harry nodded and the three set their minds to work.
________________________________________________

Ginny raced for the brick divider and entered into the bustling train station full of muggles that she’d never before been so annoyed to see. Her long, red hair flying behind her, she stormed out of Kings Cross as fast as she could and found her way into a nearby alley. Making sure that no one was around to see her disappear, she concentrated hard on the one place she knew she could go alone to release the pressure of tears swelling even deeper behind her eyes and with a loud crack she had apparated to the burrow.

As her eyes focused on the building before her, a sudden sharp fear paralyzed her in place. After her parent’s death the burrow had been abandoned. At first Ginny had returned regularly to scream or cry, or even just throw something, because she knew this was a place that no one else would dare follow her to, or even look for her at. However, as time progressed, and James aged, Ginny found less and less desire to return to her childhood home, and the separation of everything she’d loved in her past sifted into a deeper and deeper hole.

It was a crisp September afternoon and it felt like it had so many afternoons before when her family had loaded together and headed off for the Hogwarts train, laughing, rushing here and there to remember everything they needed, and almost always returning to grab the one thing that they forgot. The burrow had been a grand, inviting house at that time, but now the building before her was tall and looming with shadows filling the outside walls like weary circles under tired eyes.

There was a whistle of wind that came racing past her face and she shrugged her shoulders in confidence. As her left foot moved her one step closer, she noticed the familiar way her shoe sunk into the slightly damp ground. The grass covered her foot as if trying to steer her backwards and she pulled sideways to meet with the dirt path leading to the front door.

The closer she got, the louder the voices became. She could hear Bill laughing, and Charlie shouting victories over Quidditch. There was an explosion and then a unison apology called out from Fred and George’s room upstairs, and her mother giggled as her father dipped and kissed her and there was a mutual gag from all the children. Then it was silent, just a building again, and Ginny saw the reality of her former home filled with only memories of ghosts. Never again would those voices sound out throughout the walls of this location.

She wished her mum could be here right now to hug her and spread wisdoms. Ginny pushed her tongue against the back of her teeth as she remembered how Molly must have understood death so much more than her. Molly knew what it meant to loose not only a husband, but children as well. Ginny found herself expressly grateful that James was safe and strong, unlike so many other children that had been born throughout the war. With that extended courage sucked into her insides, she entered the house.
________________________________________________

Remus pressed into their eyes, holding closely to the stillness. “You’ve told no one else, Ginny?”

“No, no one,” she said swiping a tear from her cheek.

“Bear in mind you’ve committed yourself to do whatever it takes, yes?”

“Yes,” she said firmly, being careful to hide any lingering doubts.

Harry rubbed her shoulder in confidence and Ginny smiled at him. Butterflies filled her stomach as she caught his eyes, tired, but still filled with that new hope she’d noticed earlier.

“And you, Harry? You are also prepared to go to any length to protect what we know here?”

“Yes, Remus, anything.”

Remus paused again, obviously uncertain of the thoughts tangled within his mind. Ginny found herself becoming even more nervous now then she had been before telling Harry, and waiting with baited breath. She had no expectations of any sort of solution and was hungry for something to ease her mind.

Remus made sure to connect his gaze with both Harry and Ginny, and then stated blankly, “You have to die.”

Ginny and Harry stood puzzled, running the words over in their mouths.

“Die? What? Well that’s not funny at all, Remus!” Ginny spit out in indignation.

“No, no, not literally, Ginny. But everyone will have to think so.”

“I don’t understand…” Ginny was beginning to feel worse than she had before Remus had given this unwelcome idea.

“Ginny, you will need to disappear into hiding, presumably with Harry, but that will never work, obviously if you’re still alive. If the Order thinks you’ve been kidnapped they will come looking for you. If you’ve run away, the same.” Ginny hated to think where this was going.

“As well, there are others who know the code for Harry’s distress and are aware that I rushed to see him this evening; they will expect to know what the emergency was. You can be certain the moment I return to headquarters I will be rushed with questions.”

Harry looked to his wife and gave her a concerned, but agreeable glance. Ginny could tell he was much more understanding of Lupin’s words than she was.

“I just don’t like this, Remus; I don’t like this at all! I’m not certain exactly what you’re planning, but I don’t even want to hear the rest of it. I will not have my family believe that I have been killed when I am perfectly well! They’ve had to deal with enough of that in truth!”

“And you would rather open a particularly easy path for Voldemort and his death eaters to kill everyone close to you by making this known, then?”

The room stood quietly as a single tear found its way from Ginny’s eye. She stood stiffly, hoping Harry would agree with her and help find a different, much more reasonable solution.

“Ginny…he has a point…”

“What? No, Harry! How could you even think this is valid at all?”

Remus stepped into the conversation again. “Ginny, I know this is a horrible plan, but I would just have you think for a moment the situation we’re in. Voldemort gains more power every day he is left alive and with this increasing power, Voldemort gains knowledge; knowledge which he is using to find Harry’s weaknesses, his greatest of which, I fear, is you, and soon to be, this child.”

Ginny let out a heavy breath.

“He knows almost everything we do, and it has been a very meticulous and trying time to simply keep Harry’s whereabouts a secret. If anyone else at the Order knew where he was, I am not certain he would still be alive.”

Harry let out a heavy breath this time, but Ginny knew it was not out of fear, but of understanding that these statements were all too true.

“In that, Ginny, if Voldemort knew of Harry’s feelings for you, and this is just saying any feelings at all-not considering they are so deep he has gone and married you-you would absolutely be unsafe. This is why we tried so desperately to keep you apart, and why we were so adamant to burn into Harry the danger of pursuing a relationship with you.”

“Yes, but why do I have to ‘die’? Can’t we figure some other way to keep this secret?” Ginny pleaded, knowing full well the response, but hoping all the same.

“I assume you want to keep the child, and raise it?” Remus questioned quickly.

Ginny looked at Harry, who responded with an affirming nod. “Yes, we do,” she replied.

“Then no, Ginny, there really is no other option. We have to trust very few, and tell even less of this.”

“What about-“

“You parents? You know that answer already, Ginny, I know you do. Even though I certainly don’t believe your parents would run and tell death eaters about this baby, I feel their emotions are too deeply rooted in protecting their children to be safe. They would react as parents, and not as calmly-minded individuals. This goes the same for most everyone-war does strange things to a man’s heart and mind. Ginny, they have to think you’ve died, that there is no way for you to be rescued, in order for the three of you, Harry, you and this baby, to have any chance of survival. Do you understand this?”

Ginny’s mind raced for any sort of intelligent rebuttal, but found nothing. She wouldn’t dare admit it to anyone, but she had known from the very moment she’d discovered this pregnancy that the only way for her own safety to remain in its current condition, as well ensuring any chance of this child coming into the world, would be to do something drastic, something particularly terrible to think of. Like having to tell her parents she’d died, perhaps.

“I suppose I understand, but even then, what kind of lies do you expect the Order to really believe? They are not just some random brood of unintelligible pirates! They will catch on to even the slightest corner of a tale of this magnitude.”

Remus had obviously thought of all these things. “It’s not uncommon for Harry to go in search of horcrux clues on his own as long as he tells one Order member, which is most always me. I will have to tell them that the mission went array when he discovered they had kidnapped you and were holding you ransom, and in his quick wit Harry called only for me because he didn’t want your family to find you in that position and lose their concentration or cool.”

Harry thanked him for the quick-wit compliment and Ginny smacked his arm.

“Well what about my body? You know my family won’t sit still unless there’s a body.”

Remus looked a bit ill at this thought and Ginny could see for the first time throughout the conversation that this was as difficult for him as it was for her.

“I’d rather not go into detail about that one, but I believe it sufficient to say your body will have been…well…disposed of, so to say.”

“You would really just do that to me? You would really just ‘dispose’ of my body? I don’t believe this! Harry, this is a joke!”

Ginny turned to Harry for help, but noticed his face was serious. “That’s not what he said, Gin…” Harry said quietly.

“So you think this would actually work?” His eyes lifted to meet Ginny in that commanding way that she normally found attractive, but this time, it sent chills up her spine. “Harry?”

“Ginny…what other choice do we have…”

More tears began to stream down her cheeks as she pushed Harry far away from her. “I can’t bear the thought of my mother’s expression when she’s told yet another one of her children has been killed! It will only fuel more anger! What if Ron goes crazy?”

Remus sighed. “Ginny, these are details that I will handle, but I need you and Harry to decide if this is what you are going to do. There is no room for weakness if we go through with this. I understand that the urge would be to break and tell your family otherwise, but it would be a death sentence for many people, including yourselves. Ginny, Harry, both of you, I need you to make a vow that you will follow this through until the end. When Voldemort has been killed we can sort out how to, well, bring you back to life really, but until then you will basically…no longer exist.”

There was silence in the room as Ginny turned her back to the two men and walked towards the shabby couch. She looked at them every minute or so, as if to speak, but never quite found the words, and the men continued to wait.

“Harry,” she finally said softly. Harry walked to her side and sat on the couch next to her. “What if something happens to you? Then what will I do? I can’t do this…raise this baby…alone…”

“Oh, Gin,” Harry said as he scooped her into his arms, “I will win this war, and I will kill Voldemort with more swift passion then I ever would have before. This baby will never know a day without me, and neither will you.”

Ginny watched him for a moment. Harry had said these words from his gut and even though every inch of her being was terrified and confused, she knew what must happen.

“Then we do what is necessary,” she said gently into his chest.

Harry looked to Remus and gave a simple nod. Remus returned the motion and disappeared into the night.

******************************************
A/N: Thank you so much for all the reviews so far, but please keep them coming! I hope you like this chapter and are intrigued! There’s so much more coming in the next chapters and I hope I’m as excited writing them as you are reading them!
That Secrets Would Be Revealed by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I only wish I could be so lucky to have written this myself, but alas, everything Harry Potter belongs to a one Miss JK Rowling.

*************************************************

Ginny settled her shaking hand on the screen door that was lying ripped from its hinges, blocking the entryway, and pulled it to the side just far enough to walk past. It was overwhelming to enter the Burrow this time. Windows were still shattered and the glass from them lye spread all around the floor. Furniture was overturned and the ghostly screaming of all who died within the walls echoed through her bones.

She had been here since the battle, but something had changed…there was something this time that was calling to her, something oddly awake and resonating. The room began to stir and swing about as if the shadows were alive and a sweeping emotion lifted all her strength away.

I just don’t know how to be strong anymore…Ginny thought hopelessly. She collapsed onto the dusty wood floors of her childhood home, tears exploding from her weary brown eyes.

“All I ever wanted was you, Harry. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t understand how I’m supposed to believe anything else, or how to want anything different. How am I supposed to have any other life than the one I had with you?”

Ginny swallowed the thick ball of anger swelling within her throat, her will broken and quickly leaving, and cried into the open space once more.

“Why?! Why did you have to leave me? I need you, Harry! I can’t do this anymore…I can’t live like this anymore!”

Her thoughts anchored towards the son they had created together, that beautiful, exciting child that Harry had only been able to spend a few years getting to know. She hugged her own waist and began to rock on her knees as coughs spit out her mouth alongside the screams.
______________________________________________

“You’re doing great Ginny, don’t give up,” Tonks coached calmly.

Ginny felt like her body was going to shatter in the pain and took cherished relief in between contractions. She looked around at the decrepit room she was laying in, then down to a mousy brown-haired woman at her feet; she had never been more grateful for another female in her life.

Tonks had been recruited by her husband, Remus, in the early evening when Ginny went into labor. It only took a few minutes for Harry and his friend to realize they could not do this on their own and there was left but only one option, call another woman.

There wasn’t much time to explain the details at first, but since this labor had been continuing from 6pm until 5am, there had been moments of lull to tell Tonks the necessary bits. Her reaction had been similar to her husbands, although she was always much calmer than he.

“I’m sorry you had to find out this way,” Ginny said in a still moment, “and it means a lot to me that you’ve come…”

“Well…I’m not really sure what I think about all of this, quite a shock, that’s for certain,” Tonks said as she dipped a small towel into a bowl of warm water and placed it over Ginny’s forehead, “but, I can’t say that I blame you either. Quite a looker, that Harry,” She laughed out loud trying to get Ginny’s mind off of such problems. Tonks knew that Ginny needed all her strength for the delivery to be safe, and dwelling on frivolities at this time was not conducive.

“Thank you…” Ginny whispered a moment later.

All Ginny had thought about lately was what a horrible thing she’d done to those she loved, and often contemplated and doubted her choices. When Tonks had entered the room that evening there was a rush of humiliation that enveloped the young woman and she just knew that Remus’ wife was thinking all sorts of terrible judgments and painful things to condemn her with. Yet Tonks had said nothing of the sort, and the gentle joke prior showed the true character of her feelings.

“Oh! Here comes another one…” Ginny scrunched through belated breath. She rolled her head into her chest and pushed with all her might, keeping in mind simple pleasures like flowers and a sunny day in the mountains to avert the pain. It didn’t help much.

“Nymphadora knows what she’s doing, Harry, don’t worry.” Remus said trying to calm a nervous father-to-be outside the room.

“Right, yeah, of course,” he sad overly agreeable. Harry had been trying to pretend that he was not concerned, but it was more than obvious by the silence, the pacing and the constant fidgeting of his fingers through his hair.

There was another gasp from behind the door and Harry shot his eyes in its direction. Ginny wasn’t a screamer, but there were definite groans of pain leaving her mouth and Harry wished this baby would hurry itself and enter the world already.

“Must be a girl,” he laughed awkwardly as he tried to stir the tension in the air.

Remus smiled with him and the two plopped on the floor in unison, rather exhausted from the long night. Neither had eaten or slept, but knew the two women were having a bit of a harder time then they and unspokenly agreed to leave the issue well-enough alone.

There was a sudden, desperate cry in pain and then silence, and Harry’s ears perked to the situation.

“What’s happened?” He asked Remus as he swallowed a large ball into his throat.

“Not sure,” Remus replied nonchalantly.

Within the room there was calm. Ginny let her head drop back on to one of the pillows behind her, completely exhausted, and closed her eyes. Her heart pounded and sweat lingered over her entire body, but the bursting sound of an infant crying reminded her of the precious gift waiting to meet her.

“Ginny,” Tonks whispered as Ginny opened her eyes, “You have a son; a beautiful, healthy boy.” Tonks finished wiping the infant with a gentle, brown towel and lifted him up to his mother.

Ginny let out an eager breath and welcomed the wrapped bundle into her arms. His cheeks were chubby and pink and Ginny smoothed her hand over his lush head of thick, black hair.

“Just like your daddy, I see,” she said as she kissed his forehead and smiled.

Tonks took in a soothing breath, thankful the delivery was over and both mother and child were healthy and safe. She met Ginny’s eyes for a moment and noticed how adult she’d become overnight.

This is not the young girl I met many years ago, she thought gently.

She wrapped her arms around her own chest and thought not about the confusion that had overwhelmed her when she first arrived, nor the racing inquiries and unpleasantries she’d wanted to say to both Gin and Harry, but rather saw only a mother in love with her newborn son, and a couple who had gone to incredible lengths to ensure that the young boy would have a life of wonder and content. She was in awe at their strength and courage, not bitter at their youthful indiscretions.

“Thank you so much, Nymphadora…you have no idea,” Ginny said quietly.

Tonks gave a very subtle bend of the head in response. “Shall I give Harry the good news, then?” She grinned.

Harry sprung to his feet as the door slowly creaked open to reveal a very tired caretaker. She stepped outside and closed the door behind her and both Harry and Remus began to feel fear creep through their skin…was something wrong? What had happened?

“Go meet your son, Harry.” Tonks said coolly.

“A son? Oh Merlin! Did you hear that, Remus? I have a son!” A gigantic smile took over Harry’s entire face and he bound through the door to meet his new family.

“Give it a moment,” Tonks said to her husband, gently placing her hand on his chest to stop him from following Harry into the room. He smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her waist, knowing there was much to discuss in later time.

“Harry, he’s so beautiful,” Ginny said in a tone so sweet Harry felt his heart begin to melt, “and he looks just like you.”

Harry leaned down to the tiny bundle in his wife’s arms and moved the blanket just slightly enough to uncover the sleeping face hidden beneath. His breath fell swiftly from his lungs as he gazed at the tiny human curled so peacefully amongst such dim and dank quarters. Ginny motioned for him to take the boy into his own arms and Harry did so without a moment’s hesitation.

“How is it possible to love something this much, Gin?” He said as he examined his son’s tiny hands and fingers.

He felt Ginny’s hand gently wrap around his arm and he turned to look at her face. She’d never looked more beautiful to him than she did at this very moment and he felt as if he would explode for the emotions pounding through his chest. It had been a long time since he’d been this happy.

“Gin…” he said softly as he placed the baby back in her chest, “thank you.”

She let out a gentle giggle and replied, “Well, you’re welcome, no trouble at all, really.”

Harry smiled back at her and leaned down to place a soft kiss her lips. He lingered for a moment then pulled back just enough to catch her eyes in his own. Certain fear filled his body as he realized the dark world that lay outside these four walls and was determined to protect his family from it.

Ginny raised her right palm and placed it carefully on his cheek and Harry’s body tingled with the sensation. He couldn’t lose her. He couldn’t lose his son.

“I will keep you safe, Gin,” he said, his eyes blazing into hers. “I will win this war, and I will come back home to you after every battle until there are no more battles to be fought.” He sat up completely now and inched himself onto the side of the bed. He looked at the baby one more time and let his hand fall softly across its back. “James will never know a day without me, and nor will you. I know I’ve said it before, but I want you to know just how much I mean it. I promise you.”
___________________________________________

The air was tight with tears and anger, and Ginny braced the memory in her mind a second longer. He had promised her.

“You told me that we would never be without you! But you’re not here and James needs you, Harry! This isn’t fair!”

She felt her fingers roll themselves into tightly-wound fists and she punched the ground, more tears staining the floor before her. Every inch of her frail body was shaking with intense emotion as she fell completely limp amongst the rubble and heaved one more desperate cry.

The fire red of her hair exploded against the dim light of the remnants of the living room she was curled up in and she felt a strange sensation prickle up the back of her neck.

Ginny had returned to the burrow many times to revel in emotions such as these, however, never had the pain been more real. Until this moment she had always been able to cry the reality of his death away, leaving with the same mind that Harry was somehow going to return to her, that everything would be fine again. But there was something different this time. Perhaps it was the fact that James had finally left for school and she no longer had him there to sustain her sanity, or perhaps it was simply that time had caught up with her, but somehow, the pain of eight years collapsed upon her and Ginny couldn’t even find the strength to stand.

The eerie sounds of her reckoning pain echoed throughout the halls and many floors of the Burrow, causing old creaks and shadows to resurrect themselves and Ginny slowed her breath to listen. She could hear the windowpanes bellow in aged moans and the steps creak as if beckoning for use. She glanced up towards the wall to notice the fireplace that was sitting in front of her.

I remember the first time Harry used floo powder in this very fireplace…she thought through more tears.

Brushing her hair out of her face with a smooth right hand, she glanced around the room, taking in the trash and destruction that still remained from the battle so many years ago. So much death in such a small place…she mumbled. She inhaled as the wind pushed a strong, rainy breeze through the broken glass window and found within it the courage to pull herself from a ball on the floor to her knees once more.

Not too far from her was the hutch her mother had kept so many pictures and knick-knacks on, now turned on its side, lying broken and defeated across the ground. She pushed herself back against it to rest her tired body and pulled her hair to the right side of her neck, stopping momentarily to caress the aching joint.

“Harry…” she whispered, collecting herself into calm, “I wish you were here…I wish…I wish you were here to hug me and hold me and kiss me to tell me that I will be all right. I’m not really sure what to do, Harry…I’m so lonely.”

There was another howl of wind outside the house and Ginny looked towards the window where only a frame remained. She could see her father’s body flying backwards through it, a blast of green light rapturing his life. Another set of tears flocked down her cheeks and she quickly looked back down at her feet.

“This is so hard, Harry,” she pressed through sobs, “and I feel so defeated, like I’ll never be right again.”

More creaks from the stairs and Ginny gave them little glance. In the air, Harry was pulling her hand as she giggled with absolute content, so carefree and full of life. She closed her eyes and took in another deep breath. She could smell him, feel his rough hands graze her jaw as he pulled her in for a passionate kiss. She could hear his heart pounding after they’d made love and the gentle breathing as he slept. Ginny felt her back slump a little farther down the edge of the hutch and spoke into the darkness again.

“I help George at the shop, and I think that he likes the red-headed company, but it’s not what I want to do with my life. What else is there to do, though, I suppose, Harry? We always talked about raising a family and I always thought that would be my life’s work…” her voice trailed off as she thought about her son once more.

Harry and Ginny had done so much to keep him hidden, to keep him safe. The two and a half years spent raising him, running from secret place to secret place, trying to remain unknown to Voldemort’s army as well as the Order, had been an exhausting but hopeful time. Ginny smiled as she remembered the way Harry would beam every time James said “Dad” or the way James would squeal with delight whenever Harry came home from a mission.

It wasn’t easy to keep their son secret from those they loved. Tonks had never returned to visit, best for everyone’s sake that she stay away, and Remus was with the family as often as missions deemed necessary, but never for pleasure. He would often report to her and Harry how those back home were doing, but Ginny asked never to know how the news of her supposed death was taken.

Even harder than her death, however, was trying to come back to life. It had been nearly more difficult to present herself to her family, full of the shame of what she had done and barely paired with the courage of her husband and child to remind her of the reasoning behind her choices. It was only in the careful and loving prodding of Harry that she found the courage to reveal her secrets.
_______________________________________________

Ginny rubbed her palms down the side of her dark green jumper once more as her heart pounded inside her chest. She could barely breathe for the emotions exploding within her. A furious mix of excitement, fear, anticipation and confusion filled her mind to the point of bursting and she closed her eyes to take a calming breath.

“Ginny, it will be all right,” a familiar voice whispered in her ear. She leaned into the strong hand that had been placed on her shoulder and placed her own on top of it.

“I’m so scared, Harry. I just don’t know what to expect.”

Harry turned her around to face him and wrapped his arms around her waist. He leaned in and left a gentle kiss on her forehead, which she responded to with a soft squeeze around his chest. After so many years of searching and waiting, battles and secrets, the war was finally almost over. Harry had found and destroyed the remaining horcruxes and there was now only one object left to conquer, Voldemort himself.

Harry had called a meeting with the Order, some of whom had not seen him in almost four years, to arrange the final battle, which he knew would ultimately come down to just him and the dark wizard. It would be less than an hour’s time in which he would arrive at headquarters, but he had more in mind than just war.

“I don’t really know what to expect, either, Gin, and I have to admit that I’m almost more scared about this than I am facing Voldemort.”

Ginny nodded assuringly, but, like always, Harry knew what was running deep through her tired mind.

“This has to be done. Ginny, if something happens to me you will need your family. The time has finally come to face that reality.” Harry took her sweating hands into his own and watched as their fingers tangled amongst each other. “This is the right time, the only time.”

“I know, Harry,” she sighed, “it’s just…it’s been so long, nearly three years now! And all this time they’ve thought I’d been killed at the hands of that terrible wizard. What a horrible, horrible lie to tell someone! What if they don’t forgive me? What if they don’t think it was worth it? All this for…oh, Harry…what if they’re mad about James and don’t love him? What if James is scared? What if he doesn’t understand? There are so many questions, my heart aches for merely thinking of them!” Ginny flopped her shoulders down with a sigh and pulled into Harry’s chest. There was no other place she preferred to be more than this one.

‘”Nonsense, Gin, you know full well that they will love their grandson and nephew. And we’ve talked to James about this too many times for him to not understand or to be frightened. He has your courage, you know. And your mind.” Harry stroked the back of her hair, kissing the top of her head once more.

“Mummy?” A soft voice said as Ginny felt a tug at her jeans. Harry bent down and swooped up the black haired boy asking if he was ready to meet Granddaddy and Grandmummy. With a giggle from James’ sweet mouth and a deep breath from Ginny, he held his family close and apparated to Order headquarters.

The familiar sucking sensation was over as fast as it began and Ginny found herself face to face with a looming wooden door. This is it. No backing down now…she encouraged herself as she lined behind Harry. She took James from his arms and cradled the squirming two-year old with a full embrace, her wand at the ready beneath his blanket.

Harry knocked four times across the upper right corner of the door then recited a strange line, letting his presence be known. There was silence, then an echoing knock in response.

“Does the elephant know its way across the flowered fields?” A deep voice scratched out from behind the door.

Harry leaned in and replied, “Only on days of red rain.”

Ginny could hear a collection of locks and spells being removed for what felt like an eternity, then at last, light. Harry rushed her in first, looking around to make sure there were no spies following, and entered immediately after. Remus shook Harry’s hand with both of his own then turned to Ginny with glowing eyes. He pulled James out of her arms to give him a tight hug before setting him to his feet. Ginny reached for James’ hand as Remus spoke quietly.

“Tonks has not seen this one since his birth, and I know she’s elated to meet the energetic toddler he’s become.” Ginny tried to smile, but nothing really moved. Remus’ wife was the only other person who knew.

Remus patted James on the head then turned his attention elsewhere with dignified calm. “We’ve been waiting a long time for this, Harry.”

Her husband clenched his jaw and nodded. “Far too long, my friend, far too long.”

“The Order has been prepared has much as possible, and they eagerly await your return.” He searched the couple and played with his palms nervously. “It will be a reunion of all sorts won’t it?” The space fell quiet with fear and anticipation. Remus understood the mood and simply added, “Ready?”

Ginny couldn’t even gather herself to nod, but stared at him with conceding eyes. He responded with a half smile, which was of no comfort to her, then led the way through a dimly lit hall. Remus glanced one more time at the couple before easing open another locked door and showing Harry through. He waited in the doorway, propping it open slightly, knowing Harry would not be the last one to greet all who remained inside.

Ginny waited, listening for voices. Who would be here, who was left?

“Harry…” A woman’s voice gasped, and at once Ginny knew it was her mother.

“Molly!” Harry said, choking on overwhelming elation at seeing his mother-in-law. He embraced her tightly and Molly commented that he was too skinny, as she had always done before, and Harry simply responded, “We’ll work on that.”

Ginny listened as her father, Fred, George, Hermione, McGonagall, Moody, Tonks, and many others greeted Harry warmly. Then she heard a gentle voice cough out a weak hello and tears filled her eyes.

“Hello, Ron,” Harry responded equally gentle. There was a pause, and then a scramble and slapping and Ginny knew they were locked in a desperate hug. She could hear quiet tears and wondered if her own welcome would be as warm.

Remus let out a conspicuous cough and Harry knew that it was time to introduce those waiting just beyond the wall.

“Before we begin this meeting, there’s…there’s something else, something very important that I need to tell everyone, if you could just gather yourselves for a moment.”

Ginny’s heart was pounding so loud she was certain it could be heard outside of her chest.

“Well, I suppose there’s no easy way to say this…” Harry swallowed. For the first time in a long time he was afraid. He met Molly’s confused gaze and hoped she would handle this well. With that he nodded to Remus who stepped farther back and widened the opening for the door. Ginny clutched the hand of her son with every inch of muscle in her body and stepped through.

There was much more light in this room than the rest of the building, but it was still not bright enough for everyone to comprehend the face before them. Ginny knew she had changed, but she’d hoped that it would not be so drastic her own family wouldn’t recognize her. The air was sucked from the room and Harry reached for her hand.

“I would like you to meet (he inhales) Ginny Potter…and James Potter.”

Ginny felt as if she was going to explode as James crept from behind her with the gentle coaxing from his mother’s touch and there was agonizing stillness in the room. Ginny looked at the faces around her, searching desperately for her family.

“Mum?” She said as she finally caught her mother’s tired face standing against the wall with George.

“Ginny?” Molly gasped, shaking with fear and hope. She inched forward through the surrounding bodies until she was only a few feet away. She studied Ginny’s face for a minute or so, her eyes wild with the scene. There was just the sound of creaking floor boards as Molly tried to understand and believe what was presented before her.

“Is it possible?” She whispered, revelation creeping in.

“Mum…” Ginny began to sob, “It’s really me…”

Molly exploded in cries and threw her arms around the daughter she’d believed to have died three years before. “I don’t understand! I thought you were dead!” She sobbed.

“Oh, mum! I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry!”

Ginny felt another hand on her back and looked up to see her father with tears spilling down his cheeks. “Oh, dad!” She said as they fell into a tight embrace. “I’ve missed you so much!” Arthur Weasley nodded as he pulled back and wiped his tears with a shaking hand.

“Mum?” James hissed at her side. Ginny looked down and noticed that he had crept beneath her legs and was standing in between Molly and herself. Molly gave Ginny a questioning glance.

“Right, mum, dad, everyone…I believe Harry introduced this little stranger,” she said as she hauled James into her arms to make him eye-level with the rest of the Order, “this is our son, James.”

Ginny held her breath as obvious contemplation was taking place across the room.

“Ganmum?” James blurted, ripping into the awkward silence. Molly looked at Ginny as if seeking approval then beamed at the child and bit her lip as she nodded affirmatively. “Hug!” James popped again as he reached his arms towards her.

There was a gentle giggle from the surrounding audience and Ginny let out a deep breath. Molly reached back to her grandson and Ginny released James into her arms.

“I suppose you’re not a very shy lad are you?” Molly cooed.

Ginny stepped back into Harry’s waiting arm as those around, standing, watching the scene, swarmed the three newcomers for hugs and questions. Harry beamed as everyone begged to hold his son, and Ginny swallowed the precious air around him. She never let go of her husband’s side and at one brief moment, when they were left alone, leaned in to steal a kiss. Her heart leapt at the touch of his warm lips and thanked the stars that this beautiful man belonged to her.

She felt as if an entire world had been removed from her heart, leaving weightless joy in its place, but there were still many questions to answer and Harry still had one more challenge to face. It was time for the final battle.
______________________________________________

“Oh, Harry…you were such a wonderful father and an amazing husband…” Ginny whispered into the swaying air.
“You were my best friend, my life, my hopes, my every dream…and I just wish…” tears began to form again around her swollen brown eyes, “I just wish I could have one more moment with you.”

Suddenly a huge, banging crash shot Ginny from her daydreams and she instinctively reached for her wand.

“Hello?” She hollered into the cold air. She pushed off the hutch and slowly moved to her feet, not bothering to brush the dirt of her clothes. “Is someone there?”

Perhaps it was an animal, she thought dimly, but was not so quick to believe it. She stared towards the front door, but nothing looked out of place. She threw her head around to catch sight of the stairs, but again, nothing. She listened silently, her breath the only sound filling the room.

“Perhaps I was hearing things,” she mumbled.

Another clanging, this time longer but less defined, reverberated from the kitchen and she gripped her wand even tighter. Her heart began to race and years of fear rushed into her bones.

“Who’s there?” She demanded as she began to creep towards the sound. There was a footstep or two and she was certain she would jump out of her skin. Who the hell would have followed her here?

“Ginny?” A gentle voice said into the stillness and Ginny fell instantly frozen. Her lungs shut up like plastic bags as a pair of brilliant green eyes met her own.

************************************************

A/N: As a reader, I normally hate cliffhangers because they’re just so terrible to wait upon, but I didn’t feel there was any other way to end this chapter. So don’t hate me for it, but rather savor it! And I promise to get the next chapter up soon! Thank you for reading! Please review!
Back To Life by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I do not own anything Harry Potter

*********************************************
There was stillness, thick with desperate, excruciating mug. Ginny searched the figure up and down, surveying every part of its form. She blinked. She swallowed. She dropped to the ground in a heap of darkness.

“Are you all right? Ginny, answer me, are you okay?” The voice rung through her ears like a swarm of butterflies, a powerful, physical sound.

Ginny didn’t want to open her eyes, but rather just listen to the sound of Harry’s voice. This was a strange dream, different than the rest of the ones that falsely called his return. She could feel his hands around her neck, gently raising her up, coaxing her awake, and she moved her head into the motion.

“Oh, please wake up, Gin!” The voice pleaded.

As her eyes slowly opened she saw only a fuzzy image of the Burrow.

Oh, so we’re home with the family in this one, she thought hazily.

But as the light entered more clearly she noticed a cracked picture frame on the mantel of the fireplace amongst broken bricks and splintered wood and Ginny’s heart dropped as heavily as the dresser next to her. Her eyes shot wide and she scrambled away from the touch of the stranger.

Dizzy from the sudden movement upwards she grabbed her head and noticed the figure speed towards her.

“Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

She glanced upwards to catch the vision before her. It was as if the air had been completely sucked out of her lungs and she struggled to find breath as she gazed upon the face of her husband. She stared with eyes wide open, blazing into his own, fighting to comprehend the sight.

His hair was disheveled and long and looked as if a pair of wild scissors had met it in a defeated battle, and his clothes were old and faded showing sign they had witnessed many hard days. There was a hole in his sweater on the top right shoulder where a light blue shirt was peeking out from underneath, and another towards the hem. His skin was pale as always, but healthy, and his lips were a tempting shade of pink. Oh, how she wanted to kiss them.

And then there were his eyes, his incredible, penetrating eyes, as brilliant as ever. They attacked her with a thousand unspoken words and it was nearly a minute before she could rip herself away from the gaze.

The air was thick with tension and Ginny felt the walls inching closer and closer, surrounding herself and the figure before her with mere specs between. The room was spinning, what was she seeing? Was she going crazy? Was she hallucinating? Harry had been dead for nearly eight years; this could not actually be his solid being.

“Ginny…” the man spoke again. Ginny’s heart was pounding through her chest.

“Who are you?” She asked, fear spilling over her insides.

“Gin, it’s me…” he said calmly as he stepped forward, picking his foot up over a large board on the floor.

“Harry? That’s not possible. You’re, I mean, Harry, is dead! Tell me who you really are because I am not afraid to use this wand!” She said sternly, pointing her weapon directly at his face.

”No, Gin, please, it’s really me. I can explain everything,” he said calmly again.

Ginny wanted so badly to believe that this was really happening, but it was so…strange…so unreal, and she felt her body becoming weak with fear. The adrenaline was overwhelming and she had to fight to stand, but she was certain she would not let this person notice.

You never show weakness to an opponent, she thought.

“I know this seems impossible, totally implausible, but it’s really me, if you’d just give me a chance,” Harry whispered.

There was something very gentle in his voice, something that made Ginny desperate to run and throw her arms around him with all her might, but Harry was dead, this could not be real!

Every sort of thought raced through her mind as Ginny struggled for possibilities. Was she dreaming? Was she just imagining this entire scene? Perhaps she would awake any moment by the sound of James’ voice telling her it was time to leave for the train.

Then a terrible image struck her chest at the thought that this could in fact be a real figure before her dressed as Harry by the handiwork of polyjuice potion.

The never ending saga of that mixture, she thought quickly.

It seemed to creep up in all the mysteries she could remember, but it didn’t make sense that someone would pretend to be her husband now when the war was long over, and besides, where would they have found Harry’s hair? She shook the thought away.

Ginny didn’t know what to think, what to believe, but she was already exhausted from crying and didn’t have the strength to take on this vision, or person - whatever it was. She lowered her wand in exasperation and whimpered into the dim room.

“Why are you doing this to me? Please, my husband died long ago and I would be a fool to believe you are him. Tell me who you really are and get on with your business.”

Get on with your business…kill me if that’s what you’re here to do, she thought darkly.

Ginny slapped herself with her mind and realized that years of disbelieving and not trusting anyone would do to make anyone this cynical.

Back to the moment, don’t let yourself fall out…she begged herself.

Harry stepped forward again and Ginny could feel a sort of electric warmth begin to fill her chest, the same way it used to when Harry would touch her. She shook it off quickly and raised her wand again, prodding the man to stop moving.

“I’m Harry Potter, your husband, please, you have to believe me. I was kidnapped by Bellatrix Lestrange when Voldemort was killed, I never...I never died…” he said quietly.

“What the hell are you talking about?!” Ginny said, now enraged at the intruder. “I’m asking you one more time, tell me who you are or I will use this!”

“What can I say to make you believe me? I don’t know what to tell you, what to say! How can I convince you that I am who I say?”

Ginny watched his eyes carefully, searching for lies, but she could find none. There was nothing but sincerity and fierceness, and a familiar glimmer that always seemed to arise when Harry looked at her with passionate concede. Oh, she wanted so badly to believe that this man was really the best friend she’d been so lonely without.

“Did it feel this way when you had to tell your parents?” he muttered under his breath.

Ginny shot a frightened look at him. “What?” She asked, her wand still at the ready.

Harry looked up, wondering first if he should continue, then secondly if he should pull for his own wand. He knew what magic his wife was capable of and didn’t want to be on the receiving end of her anger should she so choose to react.

“What did you say?” She called at him again.

Harry stared into her eyes.

“I said, did it feel this way when you had to tell your parents…” his voice metered down at the last words and he watched her very carefully, trying to read her next move.

Ginny pause and stared him down hard. Immediately she had known what he was asking her, but she refused to acknowledge the question.

It had become common understanding throughout the wizarding community that Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley had married secretly during the war and conceived a child shortly thereafter and Ginny, in her careful consideration, decided to give nothing away in regards to intimate details of the situations that could separate a real Harry from an impersonator.

“Tell them what?” She asked bitterly, obviously knowing full well the meaning.

“I knew you were bothered by it, upset with yourself, but I never fathomed just how really horrible it felt to deliberately hurt the ones you love.” His voice shook with evident pain.

Ginny felt like her chest was going to implode.

“I promised you I would never leave you…”

Stop, oh please stop, she thought desperately. I can’t handle much more of this.

“I don’t know why our lives travel down these…these terrible paths, but sometimes there’s no other way to turn. We have to do things we don’t want to do in order to protect others, even when those decisions lead to pain and heartbreak for the very ones you’re trying to protect from it.”

Her eyes began to grow red with the strain of holding back and she found herself looking away more and more. She could barely catch his eyes without loosing control.

“But in the end, when the time is come to make that final choice, you can only do one thing,” he paused breathlessly, “you do what is necessary.”

Ginny rapped her cold fingers on her wand, tapping them against the wood. There they were again, those dangerous words, and hearing them waver from his mouth sent an eerie remembrance down her spine.
______________________________________________

Harry set a bowl of chicken broth and carrots down in front of Ginny with a forced smile. She could tell he wished it was more, especially with her feeding a new baby, but there just wasn’t much food available. She pulled her eyes away from the sleeping boy and lifted a spoonful into her mouth.

“It’s wonderful, Harry, thank you,” she said with an earnest grin.

His faced glowed with the compliment. Ginny was so selfless, so understanding; he didn’t know how he’d ever gotten so lucky to be the man she married, and under these circumstances no less.

He flicked his eyes towards the tiny crib where his son lye in a dream-filled slumber and his heart filled with even more content. Ginny noticed the direction of his gaze and spoke softly into the room.

“He’s so calming, isn’t he? The way he just sleeps, undisturbed, peaceful.”

Harry looked at her and nodded. “I didn’t think it was possible to love anyone this much, Ginny. I thought I knew what love was with you, but this, this is something indescribable.” He took another sip of broth and smiled. “I didn’t think I could ever be quite so happy.”

Ginny let out a hearty smile in response and blushed at the compliment. Harry wasn’t always this sentimental, but with James finally born he’d been exceptionally soft. She reached out her right hand and set it on his left, which was sitting comfortably next to his bowl.

“We’ve had to make a lot of difficult choices, and I’ve questioned them more than once, as I know you have as well, but it’s times like these that remind me exactly why I’ve chosen the path I have.”

Harry blushed a bit this time, but stiffened himself up. He flipped his hand to let hers slip into his palm and clasped shut around it. They stayed for just a moment, watching each other, smiling, and then let go to return to their dinner.

“Any new developments?” Ginny asked casually.

“No, nothing to report anyway.”

Ginny took another spoonful or two and listened to the creaks in the air. Then she heard Harry swallow something she was certain was frustration and he continued.

“I’ve had the hardest time getting this fifth horcrux right. I thought I had it, thought I was going to finish it off for sure, but then, as you know, it was not it. That was the fourth time I’d gotten it wrong.” He let out a gutted sigh. “They’re such riddles, Gin, so complicated and intricate. It really makes me wish I had Dumbledore’s brain instead of my own.”

Ginny giggled slightly at her flustered husband. “You’re mind is just as capable, if not more, Harry, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ll find it, you’ll get it right.”

“Yes, but you would think after so long I would know what I was doing!” He dropped his hand down in irritation.

Ginny had obviously hit him in a sore place, although he was not normally so bitter when discussing the subject. It’d been more like business in previous conversations.

“Harry, of course you know what you’re doing, otherwise you would never have found the others.” She said in an attempt to comfort him, but she could see his mind beginning to churn with unpleasantries. “Harry, what’s wrong? You’ve never been so bothered about this before.”

Harry stared at his bowl of ever-cooling soup, feeling upset with himself for an increasing mount of mistakes. Ginny watched him intently, hoping he would let her into his thoughts.

“Harry?” She prodded again at his sustained silence.

He looked up at her with saddened eyes. “It’s been so long, Gin. Too long.”

“What are you talking about, Harry? The war? Yes, it’s been going on for a while, but-“

Harry cut her off quietly. “No, it’s not just about the war, Gin.”

She waited for him to continue, but he’d turned his eyes back to the table.

“Harry, what is this about then?” His shoulders began to slump forward and Ginny moved her chair to lean into him, letting their knees meet front to front. He invited her touch, but didn’t reciprocate. “Please, Harry, let me know.”

Harry didn’t respond right away, but let his eyes begin to wander around the room, finally resting on James. He sighed again, this time much quieter and with a different, deepened sadness.

“It’s about the world, our homes, our livelihood…” he waited and breathed deeply, “and it’s about people, Gin. It’s about Charlie, and Bill…my parents…Dumbledore, Moody, everyone.”

Ginny smoothed his hair and noticed the direction of his stare. “And it’s about me? And James?” She questioned dutifully.

Harry shot his eyes to hers so quickly it almost frightened her, and she waited for some sort of affirmative notion. She could almost see his entire mind behind the glare of green in his eyes, but there were certain parts he had hidden so well even she could not find them.

“Harry what’s wrong? Please, I haven’t yet figured out how to hear everything you say in silence. Most, yes, but not all…”

“It’s not funny, Ginny!” He said sternly.

Ginny was surprised at his reaction and wondered how he could change so quickly from the gushing father he been a few minutes ago to the angry man he was now. He dropped his spoon onto the table letting it clang against the wood with an unexpected resound and Ginny sat back into her chair.

“Harry…” she spoke softly.

“I’m taking too long and Voldemort keeps killing. Your family…our friends…how much longer? How many more have to die for my incompetence?”

Ginny scoffed. “I won’t have you talking like that, Harry Potter! You are far from incompetent if I’ve ever seen! Do you think anyone else could have done a better job than you?”

Harry ran his fingers through his hair as he so often did when he was upset or nervous and looked away.
“Dumbledore was a much greater wizard…”

Ginny cut him off him with yet another scoff.

“Rubbish, Harry. Besides, this was never his battle, it has always been yours. You can’t rely on someone else to give you the answers, which are answers that you already know, anyway.” She watched him defiantly.

He looked up, much more gently this time, watched her firm gaze, then looked at James once again.

“I can’t lose him, Gin,” he said so quietly Ginny could barely catch it.

Ginny didn’t respond and kept her eyes on his face.

“I’ve lost so many people already, and it hurts enough at that, but to lose my son…to lose our son…how can a person survive it?”

Suddenly it felt like a thousand knives were ripping Ginny’s chest open and she dropped her eyes to the floor. She clenched her teeth tightly to suffocate the sobs that were pushing her throat to release and wound her fists until they hurt.

How could a person survive the death of their child…her parents would know all about it. Guilt poured through her veins and she felt as if she could scream for the tension. How could she have done such a thing? Let her parents think she had been murdered, it was awful.

Harry wondered how it was possible to handle the loss of James; Ginny wondered how it was possible for her parents to handle the loss of her own faux death.

She never told Harry just how much she dwelled on those final words, “we do what is necessary”, because she had never wanted him to think she regretted her choice more than was obvious. Naturally they had discussed the recourse of their actions, including that particular decision, but she loved her family, missed them and needed them, although she simply braved it and never spoke of her feelings.

Harry noticed her position and took a second to register the swift transition from blazing motivator to shrunken mouse. Then it struck him like a book to the kisser and he immediately felt like a complete git.

“Oh, baby, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean-“

“No, Harry, don’t say it.” She said to the ground, refusing to look up because she knew the second she saw his face the tears would flow freely. “Please, don’t say anything.”

Harry replaced his own worries with those of his wife and set a tender hand upon her back. Ginny shuttered at the touch and stood from her chair, picking up her barely-eaten bowl of soup and set it in the chipped porcelain bucket displayed as their sink.

James let out a tiny squeak, a bubble or two, and then began to cry.

“Ginny, I know it’s hard-“

She walked to the hand fastened crib and pulled the boy into her arms, cutting Harry off as she moved.

“You’ll find the last horcruxes and you will win this war, Harry, no need to fuss. I believe in you.”

She shot one quick look at him and noticed he had a desperate look about his face as if to apologize, but he had no reason to. She laid James on her shoulder, holding on with the joint of her arm to keep her hands free.

“Harry…” she said as she began to unfasten the buttons on her shirt to feed the howling baby, “I knew what I was doing…” she looked away, feeling like an even more belligerent liar, “I did what had to be done.”

“Right, we did what was necessary,” Harry added.

There they were, those words again, those stabbing, painful words. The one phrase to seal her future, the one phrase to devastate her family.

Her chest swelled with pain and she felt her body begin to shake. Her fingers fumbled about the fourth button and she felt James slipping down her shoulder.

Sometimes it only takes the smallest, most insignificant moment to break every force within your body, and this was that instant.

Tears began to flood down her cheeks and Harry stood, uncertain of what action to take.

“Why did I say that…I’m such a horrible daughter…how could I do that…they loved me…I betrayed them…” she spit through sobs.

Harry jumped towards her and carefully took James from her then pulled her into a tight embrace. Her face buried into his chest and Harry kissed the top of her head, holding gently to his son with one arm and her shoulders with the other.

He couldn’t quite speak; what words could he say? Ginny continued to cry until she realized that James was doing the same. She looked up at Harry who was trying to bounce him with the very little range of movement he had and pulled back quickly.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said, finished the buttons. Harry looked a bit embarrassed, wishing he’d been able to stop the crying so Ginny could do some of her own, which she noticed as she sat back into the chair at the table. Harry handed James to her and rubbed his cheeks in contemplation.

“I don’t know what else we can do, Gin. I miss your family, too. I miss Ron and Hermione-”

“I know, Harry, but at least they don’t think you’ve died. At least they know you’re safe and don’t have to spend the night crying because their children are being murdered left and right…” she checked James then looked back to Harry. “No parent should ever have to live through the death of a child.”

Silence ensued and Harry was without rebut. He wanted to comfort Ginny, but wasn’t sure how, and wasn’t sure she would accept it. With the recent events emotions had been haywire in the Potter hideout and both he and his wife were upset at the tiring journey and unfortunately taking it out on each other.

“The day will come, Gin, it won’t be this way forever.” His original pains struck again. “It won’t be so much longer…”

Ginny waited to reply, contemplating apologies and wise words. James was falling asleep again and Ginny let a finger graze his cheek.

“I know this is just as hard on you, Harry. I don’t mean to say I am the only one who’s battling with loss.” Ginny looked to Harry who had sat back in his own chair. “I suppose it’s just, well, now that we have our own child it makes the reality that much greater. I never understood before the way my parents felt about me, the magnificent expanse of emotion, and now, the love I have for James, and the thought of losing him…I can actually imagine how terrible it must have been to hear that another child was gone.”

Harry nodded. Again he was uncertain of exactly what to say; every response that pattered through his mind seemed so trivial.

“I do believe in this, though,” she added in a tender voice, “in us…in this family.”

Harry smiled at her and noticed just how beautiful she looked like this, with James at her chest. Ginny smiled back and took in a deep breath.

“Mostly, Harry, I believe in you. Voldemort is not actually the greatest wizard to ever live, nor was Dumbledore. It’s you, Harry, and only you are capable of defeating him, believe in that.”

He stood up and laid a soft kiss on her lips then placed one on James’ head. “It’s only because of you, Ginny Potter,” he whispered into her ear.

She touched his jaw to move his face to her own and kissed him again. “We do what is necessary…together. Painful, dreadful, difficult…I made a promise to you and I will keep it.”
_______________________________________________

Ginny stared at him a bit longer this time, contemplating her options. Questions swirled about her stomach as if a hurricane was erupting inside and she began to feel similar to the way she had when she was first pregnant with James, horribly ill.

Ginny didn’t want to be made a fool, but there was something deep down that was leading her to grab hold of his words and believe them. Her breath was getting quicker and her arm was falling with weakness.

She was simply too tired to run, or to fight, or to even argue. Her legs felt like jelly anymore and her stomach was now ready to launch breakfast onto the floor. Her nerves were no longer spiked with fear, but hope, and a hope so desperate it seemed as though it was blocking the oxygen to her brain.

Why did she think he could be telling the truth, this was such an outlandish sort of possibility. She opened her mouth to ask any sort of question that might come off her lips, but Harry cut her off.

“James takes good care of you, you’ve raised him well, Gin.”

“What are you talking about?” She asked, wishing he would leave the innocent boy out of this.

“My father’s invisibility cloak has served me well,” he said inching his way closer.

“What?” Her jaw clenched.

There were very few people who knew of Harry’s cloak, all of but three who were dead, and the three survivors would not have shared such valuable information with anyone else.

“I’ve seen you cry, too many times to count, I think. It’s always when James is asleep or away because you don’t want him to ever think he makes you unhappy. You say that, out loud.”

Ginny didn’t blink.

“And you pull out an old jumper you knitted for me for Christmas the first year we were married, yellow with brown collar and hem. You knew I would hate the color, but it was the only yarn you could scrounge and you were determined that I needed a new one.”

A mallet slammed into Ginny’s chest and her eyes began to fill with tears. She was certain no one else knew about this, she’d kept that sweater hidden from everyone, even James, who quite liked to put on his dad’s old clothes and traipse about pretending to be Harry.

He stepped even closer. He was only six feet away now…

“You have a box that you keep in a floorboard in your closet of old letters I’d sent to you and you read a particular one over and over again. In it I tell you that I think of you as I stare into the fireplace and wonder how long it will be until we can sit before it together. It reminds me of your hair, as well as your determination, and I say there’s nothing more incredible then the way you fight for what you believe in.”

Harry paused for a moment and grinned. “I meant that from my very gut, you know,” he added.

He was only a few feet from her now.

Tears began to drip down her pale cheeks as her breathing turned into separate, sloppy inhalations to try and simmer the crying. How was this possible? Why did she believe him…but there was no one else who knew these things…no one could…

“Please give me a chance to explain,” he said stepping so close Ginny could feel his breath.

Even more tears bursting forth from her already tired eyes, Ginny felt her shoulders hunch forward as she cried into the air,

“I want this to be real, but I’m just…just so afraid…that…if I believe you it will all end…and I will be left hurting even worse than I was before…”

Harry reached his arms out to catch her as she collapsed into them. He threw his hands around her back as Ginny held her own close to her chest and he kissed the top of her head.

Ginny took in a deep breath between cries to notice that he smelled of wood and smoke, like he’d been sitting in front of a fire. But there was also a familiar smell to him, that of grass and sweat, like he’d just been riding his broom around all afternoon. It was soaked into his clothing and the soft worn fabric set gently across her cheek.

Harry rubbed her back softly, never releasing his grip. He had wanted to hold her like this again for so many years.

Ginny leaned into the sensation, feeling surprisingly warm and safe. No one else ever touched her like this, she thought as his fingers found their way to her shoulders. His arms were so strong and comforting and she listened to his heart beat through his powerful chest. It was pounding a gentle, but rushed rhythm like her own and she recognized it immediately.

This was not a stranger, this was her Harry.

**********************************************
A/N: This is not my favorite chapter because it’s hard to make Harry’s return just right. Hopefully it’s not too terrible, please keep the reviews coming! Thank you, faithful readers!
Harry's Journey Begins by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I own nothing of Harry Potter, it's all JK Rowling.

------------------------------------------------------------

“Remus,” Harry yelled across the battle, “to your left!”

Remus blasted his opponent with one, last, knockout curse and sent his wand in the direction Harry had warned, throwing a fifth attacking Death Eater to the ground.

“Expelliarmus!” He cried into the damp air.

The two men stood, sweat dripping, hands shaking, watching frantically for any sign of further attackers. Harry’s breath was short and sporadic and his eyes begged to focus the dark. Without realizing it he began to inch towards Remus, stepping ever so slowly, his feet carrying him without his mind’s permission.

“How many more do you think, Harry?” He heard Remus whisper.

“I’m not sure,” he replied, his heart pounding, “I don’t remember there being very many, but I’m sure since you arrived they’ve called for others.”

Harry continued stepping back until suddenly he felt a bump at his hip and shot around, his wand at the ready to expel another curse. Remus had done the same and the two realized they had walked into each other without knowing they’d even been moving.

It gave moment for breath and Remus shook his head at the sky. He took a long, grateful glance at Harry and they both lowered their wands, letting the full weight of the past rest as Remus slapped Harry on the shoulder, pulling him into a tight embrace. He sighed and patted his friend on the back with a hearty sound.

“I thought I might have lost you…” he said into Harry’s neck.

“I know, Remus…” Harry whispered back.

The last hour had been a blur to Harry as Remus had come to his aid. He felt a bit frustrated that he was unable save himself, yet again putting others in harm’s way, but couldn’t help but be entirely grateful at the same time, for without the timely and effective pluck Harry might not have lived to see the next morning.

The Death Eaters were scrambling for life with the sudden downfall of their leader. Those who had already exposed themselves knew their terrible fate lest they be caught and were certainly not going to accept it easily.

Without Voldemort, the collection of dark wizards had no chance of survival however they were fighting with every resource available regardless. And the best resource for fighting power? Men.

As Harry had fast discovered after his kidnapping, there were massive cells of Death Eaters whom had remained secret during the war, fighting from behind, stabbing in the back, so to speak. Now, with desperation as the forwarding force, there was less room for “blankets”, as they were referred to by those who’d been upfront the entire time. Or, at least, so was being said by at least a few Death Eaters.

“There are so many, Remus,” Harry expounded, “I don’t know where they all came from!”

“Obviously Voldemort had more up his sleeve than we were aware of…I can’t say I don’t feel like a fool, either.” Remus sighed.

The men were rambling over the numbers and the task they had before them when a cracking from the surrounding trees grabbed their attention and both Harry and Remus raised their wands again, neither willing to admit they were too tired to fight anymore.

A tall figure emerged from the shadows and just as Harry was about to spit out the next curse on his mind he heard a deep voice call out to him. Harry stopped for a moment to listen, trying to ascertain the noise.

“Ron?” He cried as the figure emerged into the moonlight, limping and covered in blood.

Harry rushed towards the body that had now collapsed on the ground, and dropped to his knees before it. Studying the wounds on Ron’s robes he recognized the curse immediately - he had used it before himself.

“Ron, are there more coming?” Remus asked quickly from behind the two men on the ground.

Ron gave a weak shake of his head letting Harry take in a sigh of relief and Remus raced off to see if any of the others had been hurt.

Harry watched Lupin’s robes fly behind him, ripping in the wind as he raced away. He hoped that Ron had been right, there was simply no energy left inside of him to fight.

There was a strange gargling sound that brought him back to the friend before him and he noticed that Ron had made the noise, trying to speak. Harry leaned in a bit closer, listening intently, but the world around him was so loud he could hardly even hear the mumble, let alone understand it. The wind was howling and screaming and Harry’s heart was racing in his ears.

“Ron, what is it?” He begged.

Ron’s eyes rotated towards Harry’s and he reached up a weary hand to Harry’s robes.

“Hermione…” he finally coughed.

Harry’s heart dropped onto the grass beneath his knees and as he watched Ron for a few seconds more, the sounds outside becoming an even more bitter noise.

“Hermio-“ he tried to say again and Harry reached for his head. “The baby…”

Harry shut his eyes tightly for a moment.

“No, no, no…” he mumbled, grasping a desperate desire for Ron’s survival, which was not for his own selfish reasons anymore.

Ron gave one last look to Harry, letting their eyes speak for things that could not be said aloud then coughed and let his neck fall weak upon the ground, sliding out of consciousness.

“Ron?” Harry called as he placed his hand upon Ron’s jaw. “Ron! No, no!”

Everything was beginning to spin around him. Trees were swirling and blending with the sky like an explosion of oil paints and his focus was drifting farther and farther from reality. He gripped onto Ron’s robes, wishing he had learned the counter-curse to this dreadful spell. His hands were covered by Ron’s blood as he searched for his heart under the torn cloth.

Please let there be a pulse, he thought frantically.

“Harry!” A voice screamed from the distance, catching Harry in midmotion.

He looked up just in time to see a cloaked figure bounding towards him, wand outstretched. The flash of light blasted him into the air with undeniable force and knocked him solid to the ground with a powerful, loud, thud.
_______________________________________________

The Burrow was cold and fragile, the tension in the air tight and sharp. Ginny continued to listen to the heartbeat at her ear for a few minutes more when Harry suddenly pulled away from the hug and stepped back to stare Ginny straight in the face.

She looked confused at the motion, but receptive at the same time, as if she had wanted to do the same herself. Silence sustained them for what felt like hours as they just watched each other, drinking in the reality.

Finally, exhausted and entirely confused at the world around her, Ginny took the first step.

“I don’t know what’s going on..."

She bit her lip as she tried to build the courage to talk to this man, this person that she had known so well once before. It was her husband...but was he still the same man she'd married?

"How are you…I mean…you’re alive?” she asked softly.

Harry responded only with a barely-visible nod, trying to argue with his mind of just what to say. Ginny waited for a response, but there was only continued quiet.

“And?” She asked slightly irritated at his closure to her question.

Harry stared at her even harder. Her eyes were penetrating him in a deep, cold way that didn’t express love. She wanted answers, she deserved them, and he wanted to give them to her…but there was so much to explain. What if she didn’t believe him? What if she hated him? What if he had made the wrong choice by coming here now? A million thoughts barreled though his mind, years of terror breaking at his lips leaving him speechless.

Ginny waited, each passing second without conversation filling her with more and more frustration. Why wasn’t he saying anything? He’d been so ready to explain earlier and now when she was ready to listen he had shut up like a stick.

“Harry?” She said again, tears filling the space behind her eyes.
_________________________________________________

“Ginny!” Harry screamed as he shot upwards.

His entire body was soaked with sweat and he felt something wrapped tightly and awkwardly around his chest and legs. He reached for his wand to find that it was not with him and his heart exploded in fear. His hands traced his body furiously as they searched for the wand anywhere, any pocket, and place beside him, until he slowed to focus on his surroundings.

The room looked oddly familiar; he must have seen it before. Everything was blurry and dark and he fumbled around for the glasses he hoped were nearby. His fingers discovered something cold and metal and he gripped them thankfully. Placing the spectacles on his nose he inhaled the hospital room, fighting with his memory to recall how he had come to be in the place.

A set of thin white sheets were tangled around his body and he kicked his legs about to remove them, but groaned in pain as he did so. His back ached as if a sledgehammer had been thrown at it, but it was his head that set him back against the pillows. He raised his hand to soothe it and felt a thick bandage covered a larger portion of his skull.

“Crucio!”

Harry cringed as the word flashed in his brain, called out by the cloaked figure after he had launched him through the air. He remembered that much. What had happened? How did he get here?

“Ron!” He called again, suddenly remembering the image of his best mate lying hopelessly on the ground. Was he okay? Oh Merlin, did he…die? Harry swallowed hard and attempted to sit up again when he heard a collection of feet pattering down the hall.

“Harry! Oh word, you’re alive!” A female voice said in an ecstatic, yet fearful tone.

Harry turned towards the door and saw a plump, young nurse standing in the light. She rushed to his bedside, glanced about a few bobbles here and there, felt his pulse and rushed out again without saying another word.

“Wait-“ Harry tried calling at her, but he could hear the sound of footsteps walking away.

Another face peered into the door, startling Harry a bit. It was a different nurse, this one older and much thinner, but just as short.

“Mr. Potter?” She asked shyly.

“Yeah,” he said, utterly confused at the way she hid beside the doorpost.

She jumped up just a bit and hobbled into the room to his bedside.

“We thought you were dead for sure, Mr. Potter, the whole world already thinks you are!” She said rather excitedly as she touched his bandage carefully. “We’ll have to change that.”

Harry gave her a confused look, but she pulled out a clean roll of tape and he realized she was talking about his head. She raised his neck from the pillow and Harry tried to pull himself all the way up.

“Nonsense,” the nurse said as she softly pushed him back down, “you’re not ready to be moving about like a train. You’ve only just woken up and I’d hate to have to watch you die a second time.”

“What?” Harry asked as the woman giggled and began removing the bandage.

“Looks well enough, that’s for certain. Don’t think many heal as nicely as you, there, Mr. Potter.”

She was much too bubbly to accept and Harry grabbed her arm with a weak force, taking her by surprise.

“What is going on? Where am I? How did I get here?” He asked desperately.

“Oh, gracious, dear,” she said again, sounding quite a lot like Molly Weasley, “I think that’s better left for another time, would it not?”

“No, it wouldn’t,” he responded quickly, but she ignored him and finished replacing the bandage.

“Well, that does do,” she said, content with her work, smiled, and bounded off the same way the first nurse had.

“What is going on?” Harry mumbled, his head pounding and his chest caving in like a mountainside.

He waited for a third nurse to enter, or even one of the first two to return, but no one came. There was an empty bed to his left, and a long body sleeping in the one across the corner. He tried to recognize the gangly toes hanging out from beneath the sheets, but quickly turned his attention to something simpler.

It was night, perhaps early morning, he wasn’t positive. He could see stars twinkling through the small window that sat towards the top of the wall, but there was no moon and the shadows attested to it. He looked at his bedside to notice a small, white table just slightly taller than the bed, covered with clean bandages and tape, scribbled papers and two half-empty glasses of water.

“Well we weren’t expecting this,” a man’s voice hissed down the hall.

Harry’s ears perked up again, hoping they were headed his direction. The footsteps began to build and he was certain both nurses had joined the new body. His heart was beating heavily, confusion abounding. If only he could remember what had happened to get him here.

‘Well, hello Harry,” the man said, who was now entering the room with a stealth, shadowy stalk.

Harry gazed at him, taking in his well-built appearance and expensive robes. He waited for the man to introduce himself, however no response came, and he was already confused as it were.

“Are you here for something or should I just go back to sleep?” He said bitterly.

The man shuffled about, pointing at random nothingness to the nurses as if he wanted to look more important that he really was, then walked to Harry’s left side. He was wearing a purple robe with matching top hat and let his fingers drop casually to the mattress just above Harry’s knee.

“Well, life all a bit hazy, is it?” He asked, refusing to make eye contact and instead staring down Harry’s sheets.

Harry would have liked to sock him, but he could feel every muscle ache with even the thought.

“I suppose you’d like to know what’s going on here, how you arrived, that sort?” The man said lightly.

“I wouldn’t bother wasting your time otherwise,” Harry replied sharply. He’d never disliked anyone so quickly.

“Yes, well, it’s not quite a waste, really, but is certainly suited for a different time and location, now isn’t it, Healer Knottinghopp?”

The younger, plumper nurse nodded less eagerly and Harry felt his face go red with frustration. This man was not a part of this hospital - that was for certain. If Harry had any sense at all, he was certain the man had been sent by the ministry, and rather cringed at the arrogance.

“Where is Ron? And Remus Lupin? What happened “ did the Death Eaters get away? How is the war going?” The words spilled out of his mouth with intensity and anger; questions were overflowing from every nook of his mind.

The man fidgeted awkwardly and glanced quickly at Harry before reaching to his head and pulling his top hat off. He let out a manufactured laugh and played with the rim of his hat, giving the nurses a reason to laugh as well.

“Well, you certainly are full of words, there, aren’t you, Mr. Potter? Yes, well, I will debrief you on the events more specifically later, but you have defeated the Dark Lord and there is nothing more to worry about. ”

His words were rushed and Harry could sense the force behind them. Something was strange about this situation and it was fast becoming apparent that his body was the not the only thing making him uncomfortable. He searched the man’s face for answers, for understanding, but couldn’t catch a proper glimpse.

A heavy silence filled the room and Harry waited for the man to speak again. The nurses were staring at each other, at the man, and then back to Harry, a rotation that set Harry’s stomach uneasy.

“Healer Bredou,” the man finally said, “I will stay and talk with Mr. Potter, try to catch him up, it’s been a long battle, of course, and I think he would be pleased to hear that peace is restored, don’t you?”

The two women nodded reluctantly as if they wanted to stay and listen to the stories as well, but left obediently.

“What’s going on? I know I killed Voldemort…I remember that just fine. There are other Death Eaters out there, not ready to give in so easily…” Harry paused, thinking deeply, contemplating this man. Why was he even letting him in on such privileged information?

“Yes, yes, sure you do, sure you do,” the man mumbled irrelevantly as he slapped his robes in search of something that seemed to be rather important to find.

Harry raised an eyebrow at the action and lost track of every question he'd yet considered except the one he decided particularly important at this time.

“Who are you?” He asked strongly.

“Jacob Phish at your service, Mr. Potter.” He reached into a deep pocket on the inside right of his robe and pulled out something tiny and simple enough to hide within his palm. Harry’s heart began to beat a bit faster once again, curious as to the identity of the object.
________________________________________________

"Harry?" Ginny said again, this time her voice stretched with anger.

Harry sighed, wishing it could only be so easy to just tell her the truth and be on with life.

“There’s so much to say, Gin,” he said finally, "there's just...there are so many things to explain."

He watched his wife who gave little reaction. She swallowed and let her eyes speak for her mouth, demanding that it made no difference, for if Harry ever owed her anything in life, this was most certainly it.

"Perhaps we should sit...or..." he glanced around the room in search of a chair or a couch, anything, but the Burrow was in total disarray.

Again without verbal response Ginny led the way. She moved towards the side of the room where the Weasley couch was tilted on its back. They took a second to heave it forward where it landed on to the front legs with a dusty thump.

Harry tried to take her hand, but she pulled it away with a subtle movement. The hug she had just given him would never be repeated less he took the time to sort out every inch and detail.

Would she listen to him? Where to start the story? What words could properly put into place the last eight years?

Her eyes penetrated deeper into his own and his heart longed to comfort her sorrows. If only he could do her justice.

“Well…” he said quietly, hoping beyond all measure she would sit for the entire tale, "The battle didn't end with Voldemort..."

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know this chapter is short, but there is just so much that needs to be explained, it's going to take a little while to get everything out there, I can't cram everything in one chapter! The next few chapters will definately get everything out in the open, and then we'll really deal with Ginny's reaction to it all!
The Ministry Intervenes by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I own nothing of Harry Potter!!!!
_______________________________________________

Harry slowly lowered himself into a large, cushioned chair next to Remus as he faced a table with four, well-dressed ministry men. He recognized only Jacob, the man who had come to get him at the hospital, sitting in the right, center. He took in a solid breath and watched the men who were sitting entirely too still to be comfortable.

This was the last place he wanted to be and didn’t quite understand why he couldn’t meet with the ministry at a later time. Right now the only thought crossing his mind was running home to his wife and son, holding them, squeezing them, and kissing them.

“Please, can’t we do this another time, I just want to get home to my family,” Harry said weakly.

There was a hush over the room that made him feel slightly uncomfortable and he could sense something was uneasy about the moment. He searched the room for a pair of eyes to meet his own, but no one dared look at him. There was a gentle cough from the left side of the table and Harry darted his attention in its direction.

“Um, Harry…” a dark man with long, sleek, black hair said as he cleared his throat, “there’s something about that…”

Harry watched carefully, wondering what was going on. Even Remus was looking away.

“Yes, well, about that,” a second man bumbled from the opposite end, “we have come to the mutual…the…well, that…I mean, well…what is to be said is that…” however he, too, cleared his throat and looked away quickly, unable to articulate a conclusion.

Harry’s eyes wandered even faster around this time, desperate for contact.

“It’s to be said,” Jacob Phish finally interrupted, giving a rather stern glare towards the other men around the table, “that we can not let you do that.”

Harry stared incredulously, squinting in confusion.

“What are you talking about?” He asked calmly.

Jacob waited for a moment, shuffled a few papers on the table and then caught Harry’s eyes once more.

“We can’t let you go to your family, Harry. You can’t see Ginny or James.”

“What do you mean I can’t see them?” Harry asked again as he felt his heart begin to pulse and the confusion swell through his arms and gut.

There was a mutual sigh across the table with this question and Harry noticed Jacob give a menacing glance to Remus that could only mean something was being left unsaid. He watched the visual exchange for a moment, waiting for either of the men to speak up, but finally took the opportunity himself.

“Remus, what’s going on?” He asked suspiciously.

Remus looked at the four well-dressed men then down to his feet and Harry’s heart leapt into his throat. Something was terribly wrong.

“Remus?” He asked again, the tone in his voice more commanding this time.

“Oh, Harry…” Remus finally said quietly. He looked utterly ashamed.

Harry’s hands were starting to roll together and his tongue was starting to dry up like a leaf. Why wouldn’t anyone talk? What was so wrong?

“Oh, Merlin, what has happened to them?” Harry finally gasped, fearing something awful had happened to his wife and child. “Please, please, don’t tell me that the Death Eaters have gotten to them…oh no, no…please, please, Remus…”

The room was quiet still and Harry knew he was headed in the right direction.

“Someone, please tell me what is going on!” He cried out, shaking with fear.

“Harry, Ginny and James are fine,” Remus blurted exasperated.

Harry’s face flushed with anger and demanded answers.

“Well then what the hell is going on? Why are you acting so strange?! Somebody say something!”

There was more cowardly shuffling of paper from the men around the table and Harry looked back to Remus for the answers to his questions. He’d never known his friend to be so shy and timid when it came to the truth and it made him fit with a sense of loss and confusion like he’d not remembered in some time.

“It’s not Ginny and James, Harry,” Remus began as he shifted uneasily in his chair, “they are not the ones who have been hurt…”

Harry sighed at the ramble. He was tired of dramatic prose; all he wanted were the facts.

“Just spit out already!” He demanded.

Remus gathered courage from the tension and sat a bit straighter in his chair.

“You were tortured and nearly killed, Harry…” the room was tight with silence, “and we just barely got you to Mungo’s…” he took in a deep breath.

“On with it, Remus!” Harry spout again.

“Harry, the world thinks you’re dead.”

There was a hush as Harry watched Remus pull his eyes away yet again and sent them towards his knees. There must be some sort of perverted joke being played on him, he thought, but this wasn’t funny.

He remembered a scenario rather similar to this in his past, having to hide Ginny to protect their child, and didn’t believe it was possible for something as far-fetched to happen more than once. He understood it the first time, being part of the cause, but this…this was out of nowhere, and he certainly didn’t think it a good idea now.

“What exactly does that mean?” Harry asked quietly.

Remus threw his hands up and slouched forward where his palms came to rest on his face, propped up by his elbows to his knees.

“It means,” he spilled, “that no one except those of us in this room right now know that you are, well, sitting in this room and not lying breathless and limp in a grave somewhere!”

Harry gritted his teeth at the remark, which was seemingly aggressive for the question, and asked again,

“Why do people think I should be lying in a grave, Remus?”

Remus shut his eyes and let out a sigh.

“Somehow information became tangled and confused and it was released to the entire wizarding world that you had died.” Remus grimaced at his own words and sighed again. “It would have been countered immediately, but we didn’t know if you were going to live or not…we really didn’t think you would for the first week, there…and the news of the Death Eater strike would have sent communities into chaos all over again…it just didn’t seem necessary at the time…”

“Didn’t seem necessary?” Harry scoffed, a thousand thoughts bursting through his mind without enough time to express them all. “Right, because convenience is at the top of the priority checklist!”

“That is not what I said, Harry,” Remus responded quickly.

Harry began running the scenario through his mind when suddenly everything made sense…the silence, the hesitations…He ran his fingers through his hair and looked down.

“So that means…”

“Yes, Harry, it means that Ginny and James heard the news as well.” Remus added finishing the thought.

Harry took hold of the hair in his hand and gripped it tightly. His heart was beginning to drop heavier and heavier…

“Didn’t she come to you?” He asked skeptically.

“She doesn’t know where I am, what I’ve done, if I’m injured myself…I’ve stayed low until all of this gets sorted out.” Remus replied.

“Well what about everyone else? Ginny would never believe this sort of thing unless it came from someone she trusted, someone she knew wouldn’t lie about it…someone who would actually know.” Harry tried to sort out every angle hoping to find a hole somewhere in this sick plot.

“Harry, there were only a few survivors of the battle with Voldemort, and only three of us were with you when you were attacked, one of those unconscious.”

Suddenly Harry recalled Ron; he hadn’t even asked about the state of his best mate with the rush of the past few hours. His heart dropped at the image of body he’d held, slashed and bleeding, slipping out of consciousness. He was too scared to ask the question burning on his mind, but something within him gave his body peace and he believed Ron was okay.

“Ron-unconscious, but alive?” he said, posed as, but not really a question at all.

Remus nodded in agreement and Harry let out a pent-up breath.

“And who else?” Harry asked quietly.

“George.”

“Ah, yes, the young man that aided you, I presume?” Phish asked Remus in a very condescending tone, leaping back into the conversation in a very startling manner. Harry had nearly forgotten he was there.

Remus responded with only a grunt and met Harry straight in the eyes.

“Harry, we pulled you out of the hospital before Ron could wake to know what had happened. He has been left in the same confused mind as everyone else, wondering where we are, what has happened to us. Even George is in the dark.”

“Well if George helped you bring me to the hospital wouldn’t he know that something is up if I’m not there anymore? And he obviously knows that you are alive.” Harry was desperate.

“The healers have been told that they are to say only one thing - that the ministry is taking care of your body.”

Harry’s jaw dropped silently for a moment.

“Well of course they’re going to think I’m dead when you say something like that!” He cried.

Remus shook his head. “You might think, but our team should know better, Harry, although I’m certain they are still a bit confused. It’s a sort of code, almost, between the lot of us. They should know.”

“Then Ginny should know, too, right?” Harry’s eyes were wild now with frustration.

“Well…no, Harry, I’m afraid not. This was something just between the few of us, and those few know better than to discuss it amongst themselves, let alone with anyone else. You never know who might hear.”

Every word that was spoken seemed to ooze like slime through Harry’s veins and the air became more and more dense. He began to fight for a different explanation, questioning Remus for a few minutes more until he threw up the battle, exasperated and asked,

“I don’t understand why we can’t just tell everyone the truth now!”

Jacob Phish stepped into the conversation again.

“Well, that is where our problem lies, Harry,” he said in a very businessy manner, “it’s not such a simple matter.”

“Well why not?” Harry gritted through his teeth.

Jacob sighed and turned to Remus.

“You would think after all this time he would have picked up on the ropes of this sort of situation and wouldn’t ask such obvious questions.”

Remus sneered and Harry didn’t know whether to be insulted or guilty of the truth.

“Well, regardless, if he doesn’t know, he should be told. Should I or would you like to? After all, you are his loyal friend…”

Remus refused to acknowledge Phish this time.

“Yes, well,” Jacob continued at the obvious ignore, “I suppose I will do the honors then.”

He tapped his fingers on the table echoing a dreadful scratch through the stuffy room and Harry stared him down.

“Harry, the ministry was unaware of Voldemort’s death until you showed up in the hospital.” He gave Remus another nasty look. “We had been kept in the dark for most of your little exploits, apparently.”

This time he gave Harry the stern look and Harry had the strange feeling he wasn’t talking about fighting Death Eaters anymore.

Slightly angered at the implications, whatever they may be, as well as the obvious battle between the two men of power, Harry threw his shoulders towards the table and held his hands in fists on the arms of the chair.

“Look, I just want to know what’s going on here! I don’t care about your little…spat, if that’s what it is, between the lot of you!” Harry made sure to look at all the men, including Remus. “I have a right to know what’s going on - your every thought - and you have a responsibility to explain it to me,” he said, fighting desperately to restrain.

Jacob let out a tiny sniff.

“Hm, yes, I suppose,” he snarled, filled with bitterness towards something Harry was beginning to guess at, but not entirely clear about. He took in a deep breath and continued.

“Well, we are still investigating the leak, but,” he paused, “somehow rumors began to fly all over the wizarding world that Voldemort had in fact been murdered. Mind you, rumors are currently all monitored through the ministry should something of particular interest or need come up in these times, which would, of course, then come to my attention. Now, we are used to false and nonsensical gossip, especially Voldemort-related ones with all the chaos these days, and would have otherwise paid it very little attention, however, this one seemed to float above the rest, stood out in a strange way, really.

“Then, only moments later, it came in through the line that two young men had been admitted, unconscious, to the Privacy Ward at St. Mungos and I must say it aroused our curiousity.

“I had Mr. Barry here head to the hospital to try and check around, sort out details, you know. Very few are admitted to the Privacy Ward, you see, only those with the most necessary privacy needs, naturally, since the ward is unknown to even those who work in the hospital, well, besides of course the seven healers that run it.

Unfortunately Mr. Barry returned to tell me that he was not allowed admittance, which is rare since I had personally sent a letter explaining the situation. However, with my well-managed negotiating skills, I was able to contact the head healer who confirmed that two men had in fact been admitted and that they certainly did have something to do with Voldemort. She suggested I come myself to discuss the situation.”

Jacob paused to conjure a glass of water with his wand and asked if anyone cared for their own. Harry shook his head quickly, and noticed that besides the wind against the panes, the small room was otherwise hushed with only himself breathing aloud.

He stared as Jacob sipped on the liquid, wondering how much he believed, what was possibly exaggerated, filtering the blathering nonsense with the important facts.

“I wasn’t concerned until I heard her tell me this,” Phish continued. Harry thought he must like the sound of his own story because much of this was entirely unimportant to anyone else. “I left immediately, wondering if it could possibly be true this time - that Voldemort could have really fallen, although I found it difficult because the Order had said nothing to us about any recent missions or developments.”

Harry felt a light pop inside his mind as he began to understand the mean looks Jacob was sending Remus. The Order had kept the ministry in the dark, leaving them just as confused and surprised as everyone else at the shocking news…never a pleasant thing in politics.

“You can imagine my surprise and horror when I saw the great Harry Potter lying unconscious in a hospital bed, his friend and fellow Order member, Ron Weasley next to him, both clinging to life, barely breathing, ghostly without color in their skin, and hardly recognizable for blood and wounds.

I asked the Healer what had happened and she knew hardly more than anyone else, just said that two men, one older, one younger, looking frazzled and desperate, arrived knowing the password to enter the ward, each carrying a lifeless young man on their back. The older man told her who the victims were and said it was of utmost importance that no one else be made aware of their state or whereabouts. Then he left, saying only that he would return in a few days.”

Harry looked at Jacob with slightly more sincerity. The million questions swirling about his head were replaced with a desire to hear the rest of the story. Something was intriguing now, less tedious and painful.

“I myself had a thousand questions now and was frustrated that something had obviously gone very wrong without anyone alerting me to it. The Mother Healer told me there were only two other healers who knew about the new patients and I asked that none of the other healers be made aware, reaffirming what the man had already told her. I really had no idea of what was going on just yet, and didn’t think it was a good idea anyone else should either.

Naturally I knew there were few options to the identity of the older man she described and rushed to the office to contact the Order. To my convenience, however, when I arrived your friend, Remus, was kindly waiting to tell tale of things much grander than I had anticipated. He confirmed that Voldemort had definitely been killed, relayed the inspired tale of your kidnapping and rescue and depressed me with the large crowd of new Death Eaters trying to stay their master’s plan.

He told me that the war was entirely not over, that there were many more dark witches and wizards left to fight than we had imagined and hoped the ministry would come to his aid to help complete the task. This is when the rumor mill began to spin again and rushing into my office was word that Harry Potter had died in battle with the Dark Lord. Someone within the ministry had offered an official statement of your death to the public. Well, of course, that was not what had actually happened, although Remus and I were the only ones to know it.

Remus demanded that we rectify the situation immediately; that you were obviously not dead and the world should not be given the dissatisfaction of thinking so.

I wasn’t so certain, however, because you were barely holding on to life as it were, and I could only think of one scenario, one which I was rather certain would become hostile should we retract the information.”

Harry was slouched deep in his seat, every emotion crashing against each other to make him feel numb more than anything else. He couldn’t speak, only listen to the tale, for beyond the fact that he wanted to understand the particularly bold statement that he was not able to see his wife and son, he wanted to understand these men.

Remus chimed in at this point, sensing Harry’s lifeless reaction.

“I, reluctantly, “ he emphasized this point, “had to agree with Jacob on this one, Harry. I hate to be cornered in situations like this, but I had to think of the future of the world as we know it, and that last thing we needed was another irrational explosion from witches and wizards across the world assuming that since we had lied about Harry Potter’s death, we could be lying about Voldemort’s death as well. Mistake or not, if one statement was false, the other one would become so as well.”

Harry felt his heart cramping inside as he mulled over the scenario in his mind. He remembered Ginny’s desperation when she had to tell her family that she had died. Was that all a precursor to this moment? Was it all a preparation for something this great?

He battered the ideas back and forth through his mind, trying to grasp the weight of it all. Was it true that chaos would really break out? Was it really so dire? He inched upwards and spoke aloud, although meaning it only to himself.

“This isn’t making sense,” Harry said letting the air expel heartily.

“Of course it doesn’t,” Phish replied, “because it’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s rubbish, nonsense, pointless, all of it!”

All the men looked up at Phish this time, watching his mouth move, wondering what he was getting at.

“Look Harry,” he said as he leaned forward onto the table, “there would have been riots and chaos all over again “ our world is still so unstable yet. Peace is just barely, finally beginning to be restored and, well, I’ll be honest, we didn’t know that you would live anyway. No sense destroying the entire field for a single blade of grass, right?”

Phish was cold and smooth, obviously practiced in covering his own tail, a trait that was familiar of wizards with particularly unpleasant dispositions, such as those who converted to the Dark Side when Voldemort was in power.

“This still doesn’t explain to me why I can’t tell Ginny now.” Harry mumbled.

Phish was obviously irritated at Harry’s indignance and raised an eyebrow in disgust.

“You are persistent, aren’t you?”

Harry gave him a stern, angry glare and replied, “No, I just spent the last six years of my life chasing chickens.”

Remus let out an audible laugh, which he quickly stifled, and Harry smirked in his direction. Phish, however, was furious and quick to send Harry’s hopes to their grave.

“Well,” he said with obvious malice, “Remus has committed to me that he will not rest until the Death Eaters are taken care of and completely without power-”

“And that means I have to go along,” Harry added, sensing the quick bite at his previous snide remark.

Remus looked up at Harry for the first time in what felt like hours and nodded dimly. Although it felt as if Phish was just trying to tear Harry apart of sheer spite, he knew that he and Remus did need each other to do this. Harry had killed Voldemort as the prophecy had promised needed to be done, however this situation had not been anticipated, this uproar of minions, and the faster it could be finished, the faster Harry could have a normal life.

But Ginny was harmless, she wouldn’t tell anyone. And she would need to know, she would need to protect herself. Harry was adamant.

“Can’t I just talk to her? Who is she going to tell? She can help!”

“It is too risky, Harry, if you show up anywhere that is not specifically ordained by the ministry, who knows who will spot you! The world will start talking all over again and the very thing we’re trying to prevent would start up on its own accord!”

“Then ordain a place for the two of us to meet!” He yelled at the pompous man. “She is not just a random witch, she is my wife!”

“So I’ve been informed,” Phish said coolly, letting his eyes move slowly up to Harry’s.

Chills filled the shaggy-haired wizard to his fingertips. Who was this Phish guy anyway?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Harry took in a deep breath and waited for a moment, letting Ginny accept this much. He studied her face trying to figure out what she was thinking, but as years of covering her emotions had trained her well, she seemed stone with no reaction at all.

His heart was starting to beat so loud he was certain she would be able to hear it. His nerves were shaking and rolling about inside his arms and chest as if they had exploded and he wanted nothing more than to hear her voice comfort him.

“How long were you kidnapped for?” She asked quietly.

“Not that long, a few days, really, perhaps a week, I didn’t really track the time.” He offered.

She nodded as if adding the information together in her mind.

“And then the hospital and to the Minister’s?”

Harry responded with a silent nod this time.

“All right,” she said with a deep, independent strength.

Harry took in a thoughtful breath, feeling peace begin to cover him with the hope that Ginny might actually take him back. He was about to smile when her mouth opened and more words bombarded his heart, beating the peace away again.

“You are excused for that lot of time, but otherwise you’ve abandoned me still. There are a lot of years to account for, you know.”

“I know…a lot of time. It’s just…so hard to try and tell you everything, to try and remember every moment that’s lead me here…”

“I don’t want you to romance me with sorrow and poetry, Harry,” Ginny responded sharply, “I want to understand why my life has been a lie for the past eight years.”

“It’s not been a lie, Gin” Harry chimed, but she would have none of it.

“Not a lie? Not a lie! I’ve spent all this time believing and thinking that we were all alone, that it was just James and I. I hoped and dreamed that I would wake from this nightmare to find you sleeping sound next to me, this war over, but everyday was the same as before. The bed empty besides my own pale corpse, and then…when I’m finally ready to accept that you are dead, when the day finally comes to move on…this happens?”

Harry gripped his fists softly, hating his life more and more by the minute. His heart was dripping with pain thinking he would never even be given the chance to tell the rest his story and it was all he wanted…just to talk on for days, telling Ginny everything, letting her become part of his life once more.

“I didn’t want you to accept it, Gin,” he said strongly, but quietly.

“What?” She responded as sharply as before.

“I’m not dead…I didn’t want you to accept that I was.”

There was something eerily calm that seemed to creep over her and it made Harry squirm amongst the couch’s battered cushions. Something was sheltered about her reaction, and he knew it was never good to be so rigid.

“Right,” she responded alienly. Was that all she could say?

What a stupid way to respond, she thought.

Harry didn’t dare move an inch, worrying she might break if he did. He just stared at her, watched her eyes trail down the side of the couch to the floorboards and around, and waited. This was so awkward, so difficult. It felt absolutely forced; everything was just so complicated and agonizing.

“Tell me then, stop pausing and waiting. Here’s your big chance to come clean!” Ginny was frightening with anger behind her eyes.

Harry watched her and wondered where to go next. What part of the story would be the best to tell now? At his lingering silence Ginny felt as if she would explode and the anger began to pour forward from her eyes.

“So what have you been doing with yourself? Having a jolly old time there? Perhaps learning how to cook or sew by the fireplace, eh?” The sarcasm was anything but subtle and Ginny was tight with command.

Harry didn’t know what to say. His chest sunk inwards while his hands clasped tightly to his pockets, desperate to find a hiding place.

“I really do have more to tell you…it’s not my intention to leave you in the dark…I’m trying to sort it out myself, just how to tell you best.”

Ginny shook her head quickly and Harry’s heart sank. She wasn’t going to let him finish…she wasn’t going to take him back.

There was a desperate silence and Ginny felt a wave of demand emerge within her. She couldn’t do this…it was too much…it was too little too late. Whatever he had to say, it didn’t matter now.

She stood to her feet, Harry following immediately behind her.

“What are you doing?” He shot out as she began to step away.

“I suggest that you do not follow me anymore. I can’t…I just…I don’t know what to think anymore. Harry, I…I…” words failed her and let her eyes respond instead.

“Gin, please-“ He tried, but she held up a hand to silence him and turned around, leaving a helpless and devastated man in her wake.
________________________________________________

A/N: Ah!!!! Not my best writing, I know! And it moves sortof quickly, but there's so much to explain, so little space to do it in! There is even more coming in the next couple chapters to try and really sort out the details of it all. Hopefully this is beginning to let you see things, however! Please, please review!!!
Dealing with Death and Decisions by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: JK Rowling is master and I am pretending to have a fraction of the talent she does.
_______________________________________________

“He’s not dead!” Ginny screamed. “He’s not dead!”

Remus walked over to her, a desperately strange look upon his face, a mix of devastation and guilt. He tried to find the words to speak, but was left empty at Ginny’s face.

“No, no, no!! He promised that he would return! He told me that he would come back! He can’t have died, it’s not possible!”

“Ginny, I’m so sorry…” Remus fumbled out.

Ginny let out an outrageous cry and crumpled to the floor, her body shaking violently in a collision of fury and pain. Remus stood awkwardly, uncertain of what to do next. He kneeled down to gift a hug, but Ginny shoved his hands away and demanded he leave.

Remus allowed his hands to swing back at her push and stood pained with guilt. Should he tell her? No, he couldn’t “ it would only cause more harm than good. But this…this standing, waiting, watching her grieve…how could he not? He remained silent, watching, wishing he could change everything, but the damage had already been done; it was too late to go back on the plan now. He gritted his teeth and stayed his ground.

“Oh, Harry!” Ginny sobbed. “It’s not fair! Why is this happening?”

Remus lowered his head for a moment, examining the dirty boots that had taken his lying mouth to this place.

Stay the plan, Remus, stay the plan, he thought forcefully.

“He died to save the rest of the world, Gin, you should be proud,” he spit out shamefully, “we did all that we could, but there were casualties…you knew that could happen.”

Ginny stopped for a moment and lifted her eyes to meet his. She bore into them with an anger like he had never seen from her before and he quickly looked away.

Casualties, Ginny thought bitterly as she gripped the silence, as if you can so easily describe what’s happened.

Remus swallowed and tried frantically to think of something else to say, something cold and heartless to help him remain strong. Anything too genuine and he might give in, he might cave.

All of this will be for nothing, he told himself. Be cold, you must be cold.

He glanced back at Ginny and noticed she had returned her eyes to the floor upon which she was kneeling. He jumped at the opportunity to speak without eye contact and said the first thing he could think of.

“Those who died fighting to try and save Harry would be particularly hurt to know you are so angry that he did not live, not to mention Harry himself would feel like a failure. Voldemort is dead, Gin, Harry’s accomplished what he’s spent his life trying to achieve.”

Ginny’s breathing slowed and Remus felt the heat begin to rise in the room.

Keep going, keep saying things like this. She will get angry and move on, she won’t contact you, she won’t try to find Harry, Remus mumbled in his mind.

Such evil, cruel thoughts, but he had to make the plan work, it had to be effective.

“There was nothing left for him, really. What sort of life could he have had, he would have been lost…he would have been felt empty, without cause or reason.”

You are a horrible, foul git, Remus thought again. How could you say something so dreadful?

He watched her body, her back rising patiently from breath to breath, her chest buried into her knees and her hands cradling her neck, strands of hair tangled between her fingers. He would never forgive himself for this. Neither would she.

Then, just when he thought he might never hear from her again, a subtle squeak broke the air.

“You prefer him dead then?” She asked so quietly Remus could barely understand her words.

His heart dropped from within his chest to the very caverns of the earth. Of course he would never prefer Harry dead! How badly he wanted her to know that. He clenched his jaw and took in a shaky breath.

“I’m simply stating reality, Ginny. No sense clinging to untruths or fairytales.” He said calmly, his mouth dry with lies.

Ginny could feel her cheeks hot and aching beneath his words. There was something growling within her, a different sort of sound from the pain of losing Harry. This was a growing anger, a burning, bitter, howl. Slowly she stood to her feet and turned to face the man she had come to love as a father. Why was he acting this way? She watched him fumble with his hands, his eyes only meeting hers in sporadic movements.

“Who are you?” She finally said, cocking her head in disbelief. “The man I know would never say such things. His heart would never have been so cold.”

Remus swallowed again. He had never felt so nervous in his life.

“Harry killed Voldemort, that’s what he wanted to do, that’s what he lived for,” he replied harshly, pretending to shrug her question away.

“Everything in Harry’s life was not about Voldemort…” Ginny replied softly, the pain burning in her eyes.

Remus struggled for arguments.

“Harry’s life was a sacrifice to our world.” He said quickly.

“Why, then, did you fight so hard to save him?” She exclaimed. “If you thought it better he die, if, all this time, you thought he would simply be a sacrifice, what was the point of such battling on everyone else’s part?”

Remus stood without recourse.

“Harry never wanted, nor expected, to die; I don’t quite understand why you’re saying these things!” She finished.

Remus inhaled deeply, wondering what he could say to stop her, to hurt her more. All the words fluttered through his weary mind, his heart barely able to stand the painfully thick situation any more.

“Harry knew what might happen, Ginny, and I thought you did, too.”

Ginny scoffed again, her jaw dropping slightly at the indignance and insensitivity of the man who had once shown incomprehensible compassion to her and Harry. Her breathing began to shake under the weight and she rolled her fists tightly, trying to understand what Remus was saying to her.

“I was well aware of the possibilities, Remus, thank you. I, of all people, was completely, desperately aware of what might happen.”

Remus shoved his right hand into his pocket and gave her a quick, shifting glance. Ginny shook her head slightly in continued frustration.

“I spent every night pacing, every morning that he didn’t return in horrible knots, knowing that any moment you might arrive alone to tell me that something terrible had happened. I lived my entire life, every moment, every second, knowing that my husband, my son’s father, my best friend, might never come back.”

Remus hit her sharply with his eyes.

“Then why are you acting so surprised?” He said viciously.

It was a burn so hot Ginny could almost physically feel it singe her organs. Remus watched her with a strong glare, but could only hold it for a few more seconds before he turned away once more. He knew he had said it this time.

Ginny’s jaw tightened. This terrible, harsh man was not the same man that had comforted her at her parent’s death, nor the same man that had put his own life on the line hundreds of time to save hers and Harry’s. She remembered him cradling her son in his arms, a beam across his face, a drive to protect the Potters more than ever before.

This was not him.

“You don’t mean these things, Remus.” She said.

“Ginny, I just don’t think you should be so naïve. Harry’s life has had one purpose since the time he was born, and that was to conquer the Dark Lord. He has done that and his purpose has been fulfilled.”

“What?” She scoffed. “What about his friends? His family? We all love him and need him! He never wanted to be the-boy-who-lived, you know that!! Harry worked hard because he knew he didn’t have a choice, but he didn’t fight Voldemort because that was his purpose; Harry fought Voldemort because his life gave him purpose.”

Remus didn’t know how to respond and found himself fumbling foolishly for a response. Without figuring it out in his mind first, he repeated himself and hoped it would stop Ginny this time.

“We shouldn’t treat his death like a failure. He did great things for our world and that is what should be remembered.”

Ginny’s chest began to cave and she stared at his face even harder, though he refused to look back.

“A failure?” She asked breathlessly.

Remus continued to stare down and Ginny became increasingly angry at his emotionless display.

“Look at me,” she demanded.

Remus waited quietly, contemplating her command, wondering and desperately hoping that he could hold himself together. He gathered his breath and then slowly lifted his eyes to hers, but could barely stand ground as Ginny filled with tears once more.

“I never said he was a failure, Remus.” She blinked as the tears began to drip down her nose and onto the floor.

The two bodies formed a tension in the room hot enough to bake in. Remus didn’t know how much longer he could hold the secret back as he watched Ginny return her face to her hands in desperate, wet sobs, and even though he would much rather simply abandon the task he couldn’t pry his feet from their current position on the floor.

“I would never think he was a failure…” she managed through her tears, “I love him too much…”

Remus’ heart began to break through his rough skin and he could almost feel the blood pour down his chest and arms.

“I love him so much…I need him…I…oh, James…James needs him…James needs his father.”

Suddenly something broke within Remus’ chest. He had hoped to avoid mention of James as much as possible knowing that not only did he feel like a vile being for ripping a young boy’s father away, but he remembered Harry, hardly able to walk for thoughts of all the things he might never get to experience with his son. Harry loved James very much the way Lily and James had loved Harry and he knew the bleeding, scraping, searing pain that was exploding in his friend’s body at this very moment.

He dropped his head this time not to avoid her eyes, but to try and hide the tears billowing behind his own.

“Oh, Ginny,” he said gently.

“I’m so sorry, Remus, it’s just…”

Remus, filled with new resolution, reached forward and grabbed her frail body into his arms.

“I know, Gin, I know,” he whispered, “I love him, too…”

He lingered in thought, holding her against his heart, watching her red hair bobble about against his chest with her sobs. He began to weigh his options, seriously preparing to end this charade and finally speak truth. He imagined the words he would speak, the lines he would say to soften the blow.

However, the longer he thought, the more he could envision her stepping back from their embrace, her eyes furious, her mouth spitting out defensive, bitter words, being more upset with the truth and his void of moral character allowing him to lie her in this way, than should he of leave the plan alone. He knew that Ginny would not see the necessity of his actions.

Then there was Harry who was, and had, sacrificed more than Remus would ever be able to comprehend. He thought about Harry, unconscious in a locked room, wandless, a prisoner, because he couldn’t restrain himself for the plan. Could he do this? Could he have the willpower to give up his life, destroy his family for the sake of strangers?

Harry really is an incredible man, Remus thought.

However, if he didn’t carry out the plan now, he might never get the chance. His thoughts were broken by Ginny’s voice again.

“It hurts…it hurts so bad…” she hummed into his shirt. “First Bill and Charlie…and I didn’t want to believe it when Tonks came running back to tell us about Fred and my father…oh, my mum…the reports kept coming back…I was just waiting…wondering…hoping…James was sleeping on the couch, Harry had placed him there before he left…how will I tell him?”

Ginny released another round of lurching sobs and threw her arms up around Remus’ neck. He hugged her even more tightly as his shirt filled with salty tears.

How can I keep this from her, he thought, his heart ripping into pieces, she deserves to know!

“Oh, I can’t do this,” he muttered, intending to speak silently. His voice carried over Ginny’s ears and she responded with a deeper hug, grateful to have her father-figure return.

“I can’t, either, but we can be strong together, Remus, we’ll need that. James’ will need that.”

She continued to cry into his shoulder, the sound screaming into Remus like a train, violently off track. He gripped her even tighter and shuddered as each sob expanded the desperate void in his gut.
_________________________________________________

“Stupid memories…” Ginny mumbled as she popped into the living room of her home, her hands shaking, her body barely strong enough to stand on its own.

She felt cold, drained, like there was nothing left within her to sustain human function. She shook off the weight of the images still beating around her mind and headed towards the kitchen, wanting to never think about Harry’s death again.

She shuddered and pulled her arms around herself, realizing that she had left her cloak at the burrow.

“Damnit,” she muttered.

Her breathing was still forceful and erratic as she tried to push Harry out of her mind. However, not only did it fast prove an impossible task, but Ginny knew deep down she really didn’t want to push any of it away.

She looked around the house, her heart beating in a strange rhythm amidst the silence.

This should be Harry’s home, too, she thought.

However, there was no evidence that any man had ever lived there. James was growing up faster than she would have liked, but even then he was just a boy and his mark was much different than her husband’s ever would have been.

A chill curled up her spine as she thought about Harry walking around the house, his cloak wrapped tightly, his body tucked away in corners to avoid being discovered. She imagined him watching her, listening to her cry, watching James beat her at chess…all the moments of life she’d never thought to concern herself much with.

Did she want Harry to share those things? Of course she did, why was that even a question? No, no, she couldn’t, she couldn’t handle it, or take it on this late in the world of things.

“Excuses…” she spoke into the air. “You know that, Gin.”

Confusion reverberated throughout every wall, every nook and cove and pressed back into her pale skin.

Why did I just walk away, she asked herself. Do you want him? Don’t you love him?

Ginny shoved a hand through her messy hair and gripped it tightly, similar to the way Harry used to when he was frustrated or in concentrated thought. Why didn’t she let him finish? What had possessed her to walk away in that manner? Emotions collided like waves against a daunting cliff, nagging at the water to reach its peak.

I think I want him, I mean, I think…er…I do…I…Ginny fumbled over her own thoughts, her heart breaking against her better sanity. I just don’t know…I…I mean….

“Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!” She finally screamed as she threw her empty fist at the wall, wishing there had been something in her palm to watch crash against the paint. “I don’t even know what I want!!!! I thought I always wanted you, Harry, but I don’t understand this, I don’t…how is this real?!!!! Why couldn’t you have stayed dead?! Or better yet, never of died at all!!!”

She rubbed her forehead and began to dart her eyes around, looking at nothing of particular importance. Suddenly her eyes caught a cream-colored piece of parchment on the mantle of the fireplace and she slapped her cheek.

“James!” She cried as she rushed towards it. With the stir about she’d forgotten that Hermione had promised to send word of his first evening at school.

She gripped the enveloped tightly, read the finely printed words on the front and slowly opened it.
________________________________________________

“Gryffindor!” The sorting hat bellowed across the great hall.

James jumped from the tall stool and skipped to an open seat at the Gryffindor table, a giant smile creeping over his face.

Mum’ll be so happy, he thought through his grin.

He looked up to the head table and noticed Hermione smiling back at him, raising a “thumbs-up” just above the table for him to see. He smiled even wider and accepted the congratulations and handshakes flooding from all sides of the long, wooden table.

He looked about, his nerves still squirming, but not nearly as much as they had been only minutes before. His heart was slowly calming itself as he noticed all the other nervous first years trying to find seats about the great hall and wondered if any of them would ever become close friends like his father had made.

He thought about his parents and his aunt and uncle, the stories of how they met and the adventures they shared and he longed to have the same for himself.

I’m in the same house, at least, he thought again, and that is a good place to start!

James cradled the image of a thick red and gold scarf packed tightly away in his trunk. He had discovered it in a trunk in Ginny’s room a couple years earlier and snuck it away for his own. He would wear it sometimes when he was home alone, dreaming and hoping for the day he would receive his own.

“Hey, I’m Nicolas Finnigan!” A short first year with a heavy Scottish brogue popped from James’ right shoulder, ripping him from his peaceful thoughts. “Guess we’ll be spending loads of time together, then, same house and all?”

He smiled heartily and James let out a pleasant sigh.

“James Potter, and I suppose we will,” he replied graciously.

“Hey, me dad knows a Potter, talked about being friends with him, same year and everything. Are you related to Harry Potter-that’s who me dad knows. The greatest wizard to have lived, you know. Right killed Voldemort before I can even remember!” Nicolas rambled aimlessly and James wondered if he should let on about his father.

“Yeah, I’m related to him,” he said quietly.

“Was he your uncle then?” Nicolas asked without sincere concern for the response.

“No, no he wasn’t,” James replied.

Just as Nicolas opened his mouth to respond someone loudly cleared their throat and the room silenced. James looked up to see Headmaster McGonagall standing at her podium in front of the head table.

“Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!” She said as all the students cheered loudly. “I would like to welcome all of the first years to what is surely going to be the beginning of a spectacular time in your lives!”

The first years clapped meekly amidst the rest of the student’s gentle cheers, still a bit uncertain of their place in the school.

“I have a few start of term announcements,” McGonagall continued, “We are pleased to have Mr. Filch with us for another year, but I would like to remind all of the students that his cat is not to be chased, captured, shaved, dyed or mangled in any such manner.”

James heard giggles from a pair of dark-haired boys near the middle of the Gryffindor table and noticed McGonagall give them a stern eye.

“I would also like to remind students that the Dark Forrest is off-limits without proper chaperones and ask that you respect the creatures that reside there.”

There was a nod from a very bold centaur at the edge of the head table and a few students murmured about the room once more.

“Lastly I would like to announce that Professor Lupin will not be with us much longer and his replacement will take over all his courses in a few weeks. With this, Defense Against the Dark Arts will not begin until the third week this year.”

There was a mix of low whispers and groans that filled the air, the overriding sound being a confused murmur. The headmaster had delivered this news in such a calm and organized manner one would naturally assume it was something of coming knowledge and not very surprising at all, however the reaction in the room proved otherwise.

James was quite fond of Professor Lupin and had been looking forward to learning from him since he was a little boy. Ginny had spent hours retelling stories of the adventures his father had made with the man and didn’t remember her ever mentioning his retirement. Even Hermione looked confused and began questioning the other professors. It was then that James realized Lupin was not at the head table.

“He is running late this evening and apologizes for his absence, but he will be here in the morning to explain the situation better. I know he is an asset to this school and will be missed by everyone at this institution, but his replacement is, well, equally adept and I can only assure you that you will enjoy his teaching as much as Professor Lupin’s.”

More whispering echoed about, obvious questions and confusions flittering through everyone’s head. Even the professors at the head table were talking amongst themselves, looking bewildered and a bit shocked. McGonagall, however, continued undisturbed.

“Well, I’m famished. Let the feast begin!”

Suddenly brilliant collections off food filled the tables from all around and James stared it down, assessing his choices. After a minute of deliberation he dove into a plate of deliciously-scented treacle tart. It was his favorite.
__________________________________________________________

Ginny giggled a bit as she folded the note back and tucked it neatly back in the envelope. Hermione had managed to capture the evening perfectly and Ginny felt a peace swell over her as she thought about James moving into his new room, his large four-poster bed beckoning his name after a potions exam while his fellow Gryffindors laughed and exchanged Snape horror stories.

“I was so worried…” she giggled again thinking about her precocious son, “but he’s really going to be okay,” she spoke aloud.

She walked towards the kitchen and set the envelope on the counter as she noticed her plates still unwashed from this morning. With a gentle reaction she walked towards the sink and began to fill it with water, the sound running calmly through her ears. She didn’t bother starting the magic brushes this time; she simply let the warm water spill over her cold hands, the soap rising within the porcelain bowl, covering the dishes and submerging her hands.

The more she thought about James, the less confused she felt. As she scrubbed a few forks clean she felt strangely clear-minded, oddly light and happy. Only moments before she had felt like the entire world was on her shoulders, every pain and burden towering over her, yet now, after reading a letter describing something rather uplifting, she felt free and powerful, peaceful, calm, hopeful.

I’ve spent so many years carrying this burden, feeling angry, feeling depressed…but everything is going to be all right, she thought spiritedly.

Suddenly, she stopped brushing the plate in her hand and stared towards the window, the wind howling, the tree outside scraping against it.
“Wait, everything is going to be all right? I can be all right…?” She said in a deep breath.

An explosion of revelation enveloped her body and she felt a new love sweep across her lips.

Harry is back, he’s here, he’s alive! She exclaimed in her mind.

“Harry’s freaking alive!” Ginny dropped the plate into the water, fear taking place of the momentary joy. “And I sent him away!!!!”

Her eyes widened and her heart began to race.

“What have I done?”

Ginny quickly wiped her hands on the nearest towel, pulled her wand back into the pocket of her jeans and headed for the burrow, her every, desperate hope that Harry was still there.
__________________________________________________

A/N: I'm sorry it's taken so long to get this up, and I hope it's a satisfying chapter! I wanted to put a bit about James in there, can't forget about him, he's important! Hope you like, PLEASE review! You guys are great, thanks!
Others That Know by mollyweasleyisfantastic
A/N: I won't even pretend to have any fraction of the talent JK Rowling does, so everything is hers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny barely had time to land before she was running towards the front door and crashing into the burrow.

“Harry?” She called frantically. “Harry, are you still here?”

She rushed through the house, calling his name as she tripped over the various broken furniture and structure, wondering all the places he might have gone.

“Oh, please be here…” she said quietly to herself.

She called into the kitchen and dining room, dashing about like a fish in a frantic pool. She called his name a few more times throughout the bottom story before heading up the stairs, her feet creaking along the old wooden steps. She moved more slowly there than she had downstairs, the darkness causing limited visibility ahead.

“Harry?” She called again.

There was a distant squeaking and she shot her head upwards, listening to the floors above. It was coming from what sounded to be her old room…perhaps…?

Ginny reached for her wand and clung to it tightly with her left hand as her right felt along the staircase for rubble in the way. It wasn’t pitch dark, but lightless all the same and she fought for the hope that Harry was still in the building to keep her from becoming afraid.

Just as she reached the flight of her old bedroom she noticed a dark figure blur in the way.

“Name yourself!” The body commanded in a deep, stern tone.

Ginny squealed and jumped backwards, catching herself just in time along the banister post.

“Gin, is that you?” The voice called from the shadowy form, the sound completely different than it had been seconds before.

“Harry?” She replied, recognizing his new, soft tone immediately.

Harry walked forward, his steps light but quick. His shoulders seemed to reach her first, his legs and head left behind. She tried to catch his eyes, but could only see a gray body, barely definable even so close.

“You’ve come back…” he said as he stepped a bit closer.

“Yes…” she replied softly.

Ginny strained her eyes even more, hoping to catch a reaction in his face, but still couldn’t see anything but cloudy form.

The house creaked eagerly around the pair as Ginny found herself speechless, her breath shortened and labored. She watched Harry’s figure shift his weight uneasily, but curiously all the same and she pushed her own weight forward, pressing down on the soft wooden floorboards with a gentle sound. The awkward pause began to build about the dusty space until Ginny could stand it no longer. In one enthusiastic breath she exploded.

“Oh, Harry, I’m so sorry!”

“Gin, you have nothing to be sorry for!” He responded immediately, almost on top of her words.

“Oh, I do, Harry, I do! I’m so glad you’re still here!” She spilled out rabidly, throwing herself forward into his chest.

Ginny landed with a crash into Harry, her body collapsing into his arms, her head falling firmly into his neck. He wrapped his arms tightly around her, squeezing her in and leaning his head down to cradle hers. He felt her breathe a heavy sigh into his jumper as she tightened her hands around his back.

There were no tears, no outpouring sadness or emotion, just one, tight, powerful embrace that shook both Ginny and Harry in an inexplicably magnificent way.

“Are you all right, Ginny?” Harry finally whispered, his voice muffled into her soft hair.

Ginny didn’t respond immediately, unwilling to remove herself from this quiet moment. He finally felt her give an affirming nod, barely noticeable were it not moving so close against his body, and heard her meekly echo into the air,

“Everything is all right now.”

They remained calm and still in their embrace for a length of time neither really knew or cared to wonder about until questions resurfaced in Ginny’s mouth.

“Could we talk?” She asked, her head still buried.

“Please,” Harry responded.

He carefully coaxed her backwards, freeing space to lead her elsewhere than this dark place on the landing. He moved his hands from her back to take one within his palm and walked towards the first door on the right, the same place he had emerged from a moment before.

As the door pushed back a pool of evening light poured in and Ginny felt a rush of nostalgia attack. There was her bed, the covers and sheets untouched and tucked as neatly as ever. Her dresser was still standing, the drawers unmoved and still, she was sure, full of old clothing and memorabilia. A poster of her favorite Quidditch team rustled about on the wall, a beater pounding the winning goal beneath the layers of dust, and an old vase of withered and dried flowers sat calmly in the window.

“Oi,” she gasped, “My old room…my old things…”

Ginny wandered deeper into the room towards the bed, drinking in the surroundings while Harry swallowed and gripped the partially hidden picture frame in his hand.

“What’s that?” She asked, noticing the painted red frame.

“Oh…this?” He replied nervously. “It’s uh…it’s just…”

Ginny reached out and took it from his palm. She eyed it thoughtfully as Harry watched her, slightly embarrassed that she had found it in his hands.

“This was taken right before you left to fight Voldemort, the final battle,” she explained, her eyes still examining the photo, “I’d forgotten it was here.”

“James was so small,” Harry said softly.

“Barely two years old,” she said, a gentle smile forming. “He had fallen asleep on your chest and you fell asleep with him. I came to get you for supper, but I didn’t have the heart to wake such a handsome pair.”

Harry felt his heart skip and remembered the way his son used to coddle on his chest as he lay on the couch reading or engaging in other such activities. He would stop and watch James sleep many of those times, his only thoughts narrowing to how beautiful this child was, and how grateful he was to Ginny for bringing him to the world.

“I watched you for a minute or so, leaned against the doorpost and just watched you dream,” she continued, “it was so peaceful.”

“He used to fall asleep like that a lot,” Harry added quietly, shuffling his feet against the floor.

Ginny smiled widely and nodded.

“I finally walked over and gave you both a kiss before leaving you alone, that’s when mum took this.” Harry looked at her longingly. “You woke up for just a second and kissed me back…it was at that exact moment I really believed that anything was possible as long as I was with you.”

Ginny looked up from the photograph of a woman leaning over and planting a tender kiss on the head of a dark haired man, a young child asleep on his chest, who awoke to pull her forward and return a sweet, loving kiss on her lips as she giggled and smiled.

“Harry…” her voice trailed off and Harry stepped just inches from her, his hands reaching for her shoulders.

“I’m so glad you came back,” he chimed in, “I came up here, I don’t really know why, I’m not sure what I was hoping to find. I just felt like such a fool. I didn’t know what I was thinking, and well, I was hoping, I suppose, to feel some sort of comfort from this home,”

“You weren’t a fool, Harry,” she tried to begin.

“Oh, Gin, I didn’t know how to tell you about this, about…me…it was so hard, so terrifying…I was so scared you would hate me, and then when you left-”

“Oh, Harry,” Ginny interrupted, “I’m so sorry.”

“You’re sorry? What can you possibly be sorry for?” Harry asked unbelievably as he dropped his hands to his sides.

“For running away, not letting you explain, just abandoning the scene like that.”

Harry sighed as if he thought she still had no reason to apologize. Ginny heard the tone and continued her ramble, speaking quickly to avoid space for him to enter and interrupt.

“Harry, I was so confused, I mean, I missed you so much that suddenly having you here, it didn’t seem real, it didn’t seem possible…” Ginny stepped closer to Harry, breathing in deeply as she did so. “l wanted to be angry, but I think that’s what scared me so bad, I really wasn’t, I mean, sure, I was upset, but really I just wanted to fall into your arms. I just wanted to feel your arms wrapped around me and I wanted to stay that way forever. I felt…well…happy.”

Harry looked at her with deep compassion and watched as she sorted out the wild, but exhilarating thoughts in her mind.

“I didn’t understand it, like the emotion was disloyal or something! I wondered how it was possible to not have any anger at all…I mean…if it was there I knew I was going to have to create it and it was exhausting lying like that, lying to myself. Hearing you talk, the whole time all I wanted to do was giggle because you were actually sitting right in front of me! I mean…YOU! THERE! HERE!!”

Harry felt his heart begin to beat at a normal pace and he loosened his mouth slightly from its tense position. He gazed at Ginny for a moment longer and heard his memories laugh, remembering just how much he loved it when Ginny would talk quickly when she got really excited.

Everything was a whirlwind around him, and even though he didn’t quite understand the exact situation or the rectification of all of his actions, he felt like this was the beginning of something new.

“You were happy?” He said aloud with a laugh, a smile forming against his pale face.

Ginny looked at him and her own smile began to take over.

“It was a revelation, Harry! I’m not angry with you. I never really was; I don’t know if I ever could be. I mean, I was devastated when I thought you’d died, but now that you’re here…it just all seems to fit. With James off at Hogwarts now it’s like…it’s like the time is perfect and everything is perfect. Everything is all right.”

Ginny let out a nervous, excited sort of giggle and pulled at the hair hanging along her shoulders. She felt her blood pumping furiously through her chest and she knew she could never articulate the proper expression of her emotions at this moment, but she certainly wanted to try.

“Harry, there’s nothing you could ever do that could make me stop loving you…” she added calmly and gently, removing her hands from her hair and fidgeting with her feet.

These words exploded within Harry, his entire body powerless under the pressure of such incredible devotion, something he never thought he would ever deserve. However, these same words reminded him of the reason he had come to Ginny tonight in the first place, and as he tried to mask his concern, Harry’s smile faded into an awkward pose.

“You don’t know how long I’ve waited to hear you say that, Gin,” he started, “but there’s still something I really need to tell you.”

“Harry,” Ginny said, her lips mesmerizing to Harry as they moved softly about, “I want to talk about the details, believe me, I want to hear every word you have to say, but you don’t have to explain anything to me right now. There’s time for that.”

“No, Gin, you don’t understand“ “

Ginny moved closer to the strong body of her husband, her eyes agleam. “All I need to understand is that right now I just want to catch up on our friendship, nothing else. Right now I just want to be your wife.”

Ginny stepped into Harry’s body trying to coax his arms around her waist in a strangely forward manner, but Harry pulled her away.

“No, Ginny, this is different. This can’t wait.”

A difficult frown washed over Ginny’s smile and she peered into his shaking eyes, feeling oddly hurt and rejected. Her heart pounded in grimace and she could only pause and wait.

Harry walked towards the window and glanced out at the sunset, almost completely down past the horizon, and then propped himself on the ledge. He titled his head down, then far enough to the side it nearly rested on his shoulder and sighed.

“Ginny,” he began breathlessly. There was a pause and Ginny started fidgeting with nerves.

“On with it!” She said hoarsely, admitting in her tone she would rather he not ruin the once delightful moment with something dark. She had just spilled her heart in forgiveness and joy. What was he about to tell her? What words were about to gun from his mouth?

“Ginny, you’re not the only one who knows.”

Harry immediately caught her gaze as she lifted her eyebrows in confusion.

“I’m sorry?” She posed in question form.

“There are others,” he said quietly, but with strength, “Others that know I’m alive.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s him, Harry,” Remus said quickly, wasting no time to enter the conversation as the duo stooped into the low-roofed hut.

“Who?” Harry asked confused as he sat down at the dingy plank table set against the far right-hand wall.

“Phish, he’s the one we’re looking for.”

Remus set a chipped cup before Harry and began to fill it with hot tea.

“What?” Harry asked again, still puzzled.

Remus filled his own cup then returned the pot to its hook above the fire.

“The Death Eater that’s doing all of this,” he added with a sense of exasperation as if Harry should already know this, “he’s the one leading the rest of them.”

Harry watched Remus stir a cube of sugar into the liquid as the steam from his cup rose in gentle, hypnotic curls around his face. Remus was speaking quickly, excitedly.

“Voldemort would have been very angry about all of this, you know. A selfish one to the end, that creature…would he have seen this little charade I’m sure he would have killed them all himself. It was his reign and no one else’s.”

“Wait-“ Harry said shaking his hand slightly as he spoke, “back up. What about Phish-I mean…what? He’s the leader of all this? But he’s in charge of protecting everyone against the Dark Lord, or I suppose, he was until he died. He worked with the Order to kill Voldemort and he’s been working with us now to get the rest of Death Eaters…even though I know we don’t really…”

Remus gave Harry a patronizing glare and asked, “Since when have we ever trusted the ministry to handle this business?” He took a seat and huffed under his breath, “Ha, protecting…”

The two spent a moment sipping the liquid from their cups, Remus involved in practically schizophrenic thought while Harry watched on, trying to sort out the explosive accusations his friend was making.

“Remus-" Harry began, but was cut off by a sharp hush from Remus.

“No more, not now…it’s not safe any longer.”

There was something paranoid about his voice, although he otherwise seemed completely calm. Harry looked around the hut for a sign of disruption, but it was the same sort of eerie forest silence it had been when they arrived only a few minutes ago.

“Remus?” Harry asked in gentle confusion.

“I’ll return to the ministry tomorrow, normal business as always,” he replied smoothly.

Harry left his mouth open, words ceasing his lips. Phish was the Death Eater they had been searching for? What was Remus saying? It made sense, he supposed, and even more was the fact that Harry had never liked the man. Over the past few years he had forced himself to get on with the tall, arrogant wizard, a task nearly more difficult than fighting the Dark Lord himself.

When Harry had been forced to go along with the plan to tell everyone that he had been murdered while fighting Voldemort, he had lost all respect for Phish. He had decided that no right man would conjure such a plan…but then…his very closest friend in these times and most trusted advisor had agreed to it…Harry shook his head, chasing the thoughts away, trying to remember that bitterness would get him nowhere. He needed Remus now and he wanted to understand what he was being told.

Remus glanced sideways and upwards at Harry, motioning towards his cup as if to ask whether or not he wanted more. Without waiting for response Remus leaned in as if to add tea to Harry’s practically full cup when he pushed past the china and planted himself at Harry’s ear.

“We can not let on that we’ve caught him, he must never know until the moment comes to seize,” he whispered.

Harry nodded a barely visible motion of the head, still a bit bewildered by the sudden spit of accusation and Remus set back down in his seat, returning to his glazed expression over his tea.

“Then to the ministry tomorrow, right, yeah,” Harry mumbled aimlessly.

Remus didn’t even bother making eye contact, but simply gazed towards the dusty ground and Harry took this notion to do the same. He continued sipping his tea until tired overpowered his eyelids and he drifted away into a deep sleep beside the fire.

It was a sallow creaking that awoke him hours later, his drool pooling down his cheek, soot beginning to cake against his face as he slept so close to the stone fireplace.

“Remus?” He asked as he shot upwards, his reflexes sharp from years of battle.

His eyes darted about the dim room, the fire having died to embers during his slumber, trying to survey the space. His heart was pounding in a strangely familiar speed, the way it would when he was about to be attacked, however the hut was tiny enough that another adult would hardly go unnoticed or unheard.

As his pupils peered towards the black corners, he noticed Remus asleep across the table, his hand clutched around an empty cup. Harry lifted himself up and began to raise his chest and knees to stand when his shoulder caught the handle on the fire poker hanging low on the wall, causing it to crash to the floor with an echoing sound.

Remus awoke and jumped from the table ripping his wand from his pocket in a flash. He aimed it at Harry who, by instinct, had pulled his own wand at the same time.

“Harry?” Remus said in a short breath.

The two lowered their wands and Remus gripped his heart.

“Scared me near death,” he continued, shaking his head.

“I thought I heard something,” Harry said awkwardly as he searched around the room, “perhaps not.”

Remus blinked a few times and rubbed his unshaven jaw, glancing at a dingy clock on the wall pointing to the early hour of morning it had become.

“Not much time left ‘till sunrise I suppose,” he said in a calm voice, “doubt I can sleep much more anyway.”

“Yeah, it’s hard to get any-“

Harry was cut off by the horrible look that had consumed Remus’ face. He was already pale, but any color he might have had flushed out onto the floor. His eyes grew into unsightly large discs staring around Harry’s shoulders and his mouth slowly opened to reveal a dark, dry cavity.

“Dad?” A small voice cooed from behind.

Harry’s heart lurched forward in his chest almost physically pulling him down. He swallowed as he slowly twisted his body to face the sound and stood in complete panic as he turned around to see a six-year old James, dirty and wide-eyed in the moonlight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny gave Harry a strange look.

“What do you mean others know you’re alive? Harry?”

Harry could feel his skin becoming clammy and his forehead filling with sweat.

Here it is, he thought, the time to let it out. You’ve been waiting long enough for this, and here is the spot.

“Harry, I don’t understand.” Ginny asked again.

“There’s a memory, a piece of your past that well…has never happened.”

Ginny gave him another perplexed look.

“Please, I don’t understand what you’re playing at,” Ginny didn’t want to let on, but there was something oddly familiar to confusion and fear that was forming in her lungs.

“There’s a past incident, pertaining to James, that isn’t really what you think it is. You see, James never fell out of that tree fort. Those cuts…they’re from something else.”

Ginny’s eyes were wide now. She knew there were things about her life that Harry was aware of because he had chosen to make himself welcome invisibly over the years, but it still took her by surprise to hear him talk of such things so casually.

“I don’t…” she mumbled.

“Gin, I know it’s going to be difficult, but please try to follow.”

Ginny didn’t know why she felt completely unpatronized by that, but she simply nodded and made herself comfortable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“James?” Harry squeaked, his throat closing fast.

There was a lasting pause that filled the room with black, confused space. Was this a mirage? A dream? Some sort of strange, desperately real vision? Harry refused to peel his eyes away from the young boy, James returning the wide-eyed search.

“Dad?” He asked again, his voice much weaker this time.

Harry lifted his chin softly and released a gentle nod. James’ eyes flooded with tears and he bolted towards Harry, throwing himself into his father’s arms. Harry kneeled to catch him, his own eyes exploding with wet droplets as he hugged his son for the first time in nearly four years.

Remus remained dumbfounded behind the pair, angry and ripped apart all at once. He couldn’t help but feel his own heart pull as he watched the scene before him unfold. But how had James gotten here? No one knew of this hut, deep within an ancient forest, let alone a little boy! And how did James even know Harry would be here? Questions pounded in his ears, but his body was too solid to speak them.

Harry pushed James back to look at his face. James continued crying, though his tears were much smaller as he hastily wiped them from his cheeks. Harry stared at his young, pale face, a few freckles peaking out from beneath his bright green eyes.

Harry had seen James over the years when he snuck into Ginny’s home under his invisibility cloak, and wasn’t so surprised with the way his son had aged, but Harry had never been able to touch him. It was always just listening, watching from a cold, empty distance and there was something sensational about holding James shoulders in his own, large, rough hands that exploded inside of him. His son, his boy!

“James! What on earth…what is going on? What are you doing here?” Harry managed to stumble out as the reality of the situation finally started to creep in.

“I had a dream…” James was equally baffled at the moment; it was obvious in his face by the way he quivered when he spoke. “But you are supposed to be…mum said you were…”

“What dream? How did you get here, James?” Harry pleaded, ignoring the final shaking comments.

“There have been a few…at first I just saw you, but then I started seeing a place…it felt so real. I could talk to you, too, dad, I could hear you. You played wizard’s chest with me and we laughed.”

“Harry…” Remus said from behind them.

Harry had nearly forgotten that he was even in the room with them and he turned around to face his friend.

“What’s going on?” Remus was quiet in his question.

Harry could tell that Remus almost doubted James’ appearance and wondered whether Harry had led him here by manipulating these supposed dreams, something Remus knew his friend was not only capable of, but inclined to do in desperation to see his family. Yet, Remus trusted his friend, and branded the thought as impossible.

“Is that what it feels like to apparate?” James asked, however, breaking the tension.

“What?” Harry said, returning his focus to his son.

“I felt a bit like I was being sucked through space and my bones were squeezing inward until I thought they couldn’t squeeze anymore,” James said with innocence.

Harry was even more confused now. James had apparated? But he was only six, nearly seven Harry figured, there was no way he would have the slightest clue about that sort of magic. He might have heard about it from Ginny or his uncles, however, he would most certainly be clueless when it came to actually carrying out the task…right?

“James, I don’t think-“ Harry began, but was cut off once again.

“I just concentrated really hard on the place I saw in my dream, and I thought about you being there, and then…there I was. I was just outside the forest, and it looked really familiar. I got really lost, but knew you were in here somewhere, you had to be! If this place was real, you must be too.”

“Harry, I don’t understand what’s going on here, but I think it wise for us to try and sort it out quickly before any problems arise.” Remus coached from Harry’s back. “I don’t really think this is place to do it, either, it’s just not safe…”

“Remus!” Harry called a bit frustrated. “My son is here! I’m not going to waste precious time running about trying to find an appropriate place to talk! I’ve been doing that for far too long already. That’s just rubbish, Remus, and you know it. Besides we’re in the middle of one of the deepest ancient forests in all the United Kingdom…I doubt anyone will find us here now.”

Lingering in Harry’s mind as he quipped back was the undeniable fact that his tiny son had found them, and he had apparently wandered through the woods to meet this hut face on. If a six-year old child can do this, Harry shuddered to think what a band of Death Eaters were capable of.

“Dad, it’s all right. We can spend loads of time together, I don’t have to do anything today. I promised Nana Granger I would have tea with her on Wednesday, but that’s not for a while.”

Harry turned to James, the word “dad” sinking into his skin like deeply, sumptuous oil. His heart sinking deeper into his chest as the confusion surfaced even more powerful than the last moment, he passed his son a stern expression.

“I need you to explain everything to me, James. How you got here, what these dreams were, who you talked to about them…Did you tell mum?” Harry was still crouching near the ground, but his knees dropped solidly to the dusty floor when James responded.

“Oh, well that man from the ministry helped me apparate,” he said calmly and disturbingly nonchalantly, “he told me just how to do it.”

Harry’s heart pounded and he was certain Remus’ was as well.

“James, what man from the ministry?”

“I can’t remember his name…the animal one. He came by to see mummy and he talked to me for a while when she was in the kitchen. He asked me about you and wanted to know if I had talked to you. I told him of course not because you had died when I was just a little boy.”

Harry heard Remus let out a choking cough and he ignored the creaking of the old pine chair he sat down in to brace his weak legs under the blow of such innocently delivered comments.

“Phish, you mean?” Harry asked strongly.

“Yep, that guy.”

“And what did you tell him, James?” Harry asked, still wavering under the reality that his son was actually standing in front of him, communicating with him verbally, conversing in such a manner that Harry didn’t have to hide or run.

“Well he didn’t seem very convinced,” Harry was surprised at James’ vocabulary, “and he asked more about you, and then I remembered my dreams and I told him about them and how real they seemed so it was like I was talking to you in real life.”

Remus’ hand let out a loud thud as it met the tabletop behind Harry. A jinx-worthy sigh expelled from his lips and James babbled on. His purity was impeccable; his disregard for the rather shocking revelation that his father was actually alive seemed utterly tossed aside at the energy of simply being with him. Neither Harry nor Remus really understood the scene before themselves, the world tipsy and swaying at the whole ordeal.

Leading James to take a seat next to the fire place Harry asked, “And what were your dreams, exactly?”

“Oh, well, nothing too special, I guess. They got a bit more different each time, but it started out with just the woods, and then you would be in the woods, and then I would talk to you, and sometimes we would walk into the woods together. One time you led me to this hut and we played wizard’s chess for a long time and you wanted to know about my new broom, the one Uncle Ron got me, but no one was supposed to know about.”

“You saw these exact woods?” Harry asked entirely baffled.

“Yep, they are just like I dreamed. Mr. Phish told me he bet I could ride my broom through the trees as good as you could, but I didn’t really believe him. Mum says you were one of the best flyers in centuries.”

At the mention of this Harry looked down and his knees, dirt seeping into the denim. It hurt to hear the wonderful things Ginny said about him when he was entirely undeserving.

“And he told me sometimes our dreams are messages from people who can’t talk to us in person, and there is a way to talk back to them. He told me you could be trying to tell me to come and visit you because you missed me. I still told him you were dead so that wasn’t possible, but he said maybe I could visit you in your world.”

Remus shook his head in the back, feeling all too powerfully he knew exactly where this conversation was leading. Phish knew perfectly well that wasn’t possible, if Harry really had been dead, there would be no way to go to “his world”. Phish had set this up, and it didn’t feel very good.

“James,” he asked, “did you tell this man where the forest was in your dream?”

“I didn’t know where it was,” he replied, “I just concentrated on the image from my dream to take me here, just the forest, though, because I couldn’t remember what the hut looked like, we had only gone to it once, and Mr. Phish said I could get hurt if I wasn’t certain where I was going.”

Remus looked exasperated and frightened.

“Yes, but did you give him any details? Does he know you’re coming here? Does he know you’re here now?”

James was an intelligent boy for a large part, naïve and innocent, but a smart lad, and he took notice of the frantic glow in Remus’ eyes as they stared at him.

“It was his idea,” he said meekly.

Harry knew exactly what Remus was getting at and stood to his feet again, taking James into his side. His chest was rising quickly with his shortened breaths and he flashed Remus an alarmed gaze.

“You don’t think -" he began.

“You know I do,” Remus interrupted, “it’s not safe here, we have to leave immediat-“

An explosion of light and sound erupted into the hut, green light blasting through the only window. Harry and Remus reached for their wands instantaneously and Harry shoved James into the crook in his legs, his free arm pressing James’ chest to hold him in place.

“Artego!” Remus shouted at an appearing Death Eater, blasting him into the air in a spiral roll.

The door swung open in a momentous shower of spells and Harry flung himself to the ground, James beneath him.

“Rendium!” A brilliant light exploded around Harry, James and Remus and smashed into a wave of Death Eaters like a nuclear bomb. It would only stun them for a few seconds, but it was enough time to collect themselves.

Remus leaped towards Harry, reaching for his arm so the trio could apparate away, but he didn’t reach in time.

“Petrificus Totalus!” A voice boomed from just outside.

“Expelliarmus!” Harry responded immediately, however Remus’ body had already fallen stiff to the ground, his eyes wandering about helplessly.

The aiming Death Eater had been launched backwards from the door at Harry’s return, but another was approaching quickly from behind.

“Belium Cannus!” Harry spouted, but the attacker ducked out of the way and aimed right back.

“Massium!” He spit out furiously.

Harry, who had begun to rise to his feet a second earlier, opened his mouth to reply when it filled with gasping air and absolute horror. James had been hit.

“No!” He cried as he aimed at the billowing figure blazing towards him at full speed. “Avada Kedavra!”

A blast of light exploded from his wand and hit the figure square in the chest, dropping him to the ground like a flat rag. His heart was pounding as he glanced at James again to see blood beginning to seep through his pale green jumper.

He shot a flash of red light towards Remus, whose body immediately unfroze and Remus sat up quickly, bracing his head in a creaking form.

As more and more Death Eaters bombarded the tiny hut, Harry’s only thought was on his son, bleeding and limp beside him. He had to do something.

Like an image from a dream Remus and Harry battled together to rid the remaining attackers, ducking and jumping out of the way of curses and jinxes alike. Lights were flashing all about the woods and hut, sending objects crashing to the ground in shatters and thuds and exploding in booms and piercing sounds to the ears. It could have been hours, it could have been seconds, Harry really didn’t know, but soon he began to hear the distinct sound of popping, the injured Death Eaters disapparating in retreat.

“James!” He cried as he threw himself back onto the floor next to his son’s side.

James was paler than before and his skin was turning an ill shade of blue. His hands were losing warmth as Harry ripped at his jumper and then through the white shirt beneath. Harry let out a smothered gasp as he set his eyes upon the wounds on James’ chest. Cuts like Harry had seen before, but never imagined on his child, covered James’ torso and shoulders, like a mangled cat.

Remus let out a shaking breath of air and leaned down next to Harry, gently touching James’ pant leg.

“He’ll be all right, there’s still time.” He said in comfort.

Harry and Remus had seen this curse before and luckily knew how to heal it. It was similar to a very nasty one Harry had learned in his sixth year at Hogwarts, however the cuts were more narrow and deep, and more numerous to count. The healing process was not easy, complicated and long, but if there was still any life left in James, Harry believed there was still chance.

Remus stood and walked away to keep guard over the yet unstable location as Harry began to mutter a windy countercurse. One by one the cuts on James’ body began to seal themselves, but very slowly and not completely. They would close about two-thirds of the way up the wound, leaving a surface cut that was still desperately painful and long-time in healing. The bleeding, however, was stopping and the blood around James’ neck was beginning to dry into a deep red crust.

“Harry, almost there?” Remus asked as he peered out the door frame, the actual door lying in pieces around the entrance area.

Harry didn’t respond, but kept on with his wand, warmth radiating from its tip into every open gash. Finally, however, the last cut shut as far as it would, the bleeding stopped completely and color began to restore to James’ face.

The pair waited with baited breath for any sign that this boy would be all right, but minutes passed with nothing.

Then, a cough.

Spitting from his mouth red saliva and what looked closely cousin to vomit, James rolled onto his side and let the combined mucus expel onto the ground.

“Oh, Merlin!” Harry exclaimed as he reached down to James’ shoulder, holding him steady as he coughed his way back to breath.

James looked up with watering eyes and moaned in pain. Harry fisted his left fingers tightly, pressing his chin deep into his chest as he suffered sobs like he hadn’t in years.

Remus approached the scene, still watching over his shoulders every few seconds, and placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder, James still releasing agonizing groans.

“I’m sorry about this, Harry,” he began, but this time Harry cut him off.

“It was because of this!” He said sharply through his wet tears. “This is why I did it, Remus, so this very thing would never happen…”

Remus lowered himself to give a more generous lean into Harry’s body.

“I know,” he whispered.

Remus let Harry cry a bit longer until Harry wiped his face and looked up, his eyes on fire, and stared straight into Remus’. It was a look that made Remus shudder and a look he understood well.

“Are you certain?” He asked calmly.

Harry nodded with a deep intake of air and swallowed hard.

“He can’t remember any of this.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Aha! Finally something intriguing, I hope! Thank you for being patient this far and for continuing to read with me! I hope this story grabs your imagination and keeps you wanting more! I’m really trying! The next chapter is a work in progress, as always, so no promises on when it will be up, but I can promise I will be working hard to get it up as soon as possible.

Forever Means Forever by mollyweasleyisfantastic
Author's Notes:
So basically JK Rowling is amazing and I can only pretend to have half the talent she does! But here's my attempt at some fanfic anyway and I hope you enjoy it!
I really hope that this chapter has been worth the wait! I know it's taken a long time to get up, but I hope that you are entirely not disappointed and really enjoy it! Please, please review, let me know what you think! It's what makes me thrive to write more!
****************************************************************
The hours crept on in frustrated and anxious murmur as Harry and Remus tried to sort out the exact plan to go about correcting this chaos.

“He has wounds, Harry, deep, terrible wounds. Wounds that will leave ugly scars, I’m afraid,” Remus argued as Harry suggested a rather improbable solution.

“You’re right, I suppose,” he mumbled, rubbing his jaw in thought.

Harry paced the corner of a dim bedroom in the abandoned mansion they had apparated to. It was one of the many places Lupin had secretly set to hide in while they were away on mission, and although they had only used this mansion once before, years earlier, it served a wonderful purpose now.

“And we most certainly can’t keep this from Ginny, you know,” Remus continued, “or really anyone for that matter. These are magical cuts they will all notice, especially when he pulls off his shirt to go swimming in the summers, or to take a shower or bathe. Harry, somehow, they are all going to have to know how James received these scars!"

Harry paced a bit more and felt his hand run through his mop of black hair, thick with dirt and sweat. He felt so angry at himself for letting James get struck with that curse! How could he have been so careless? He looked over at James who was wrapped in old, pale yellow sheets in a large bed in the center of the room.

“Remus, I can’t believe I’m even thinking about this right now. If my son’s going to be attacked and nearly killed why in Merlin’s beard did I ever employ such a wretched plan to protect him? It obviously didn’t work!"

Remus looked at Harry empathetically.

“We thought they were protected, Harry. We did everything we could! We, especially me, really believed that this was the right thing to do.” Remus scrunched his face in frustration. “Phish!” he said forcefully. “We didn’t suspect him soon enough and he got there before us…How did I ever trust him? I don’t understand how I ever thought he could be honest or sincere! Why did I go along with such a terrible, heartbreaking plan?”

Harry looked at Remus and wondered the same thing. However, Harry himself had eventually decided that it was the right direction to go and he admittedly believed just as much as anyone that if he was away in hiding, doing all of this fighting in secret, then Ginny and James would be safer. He couldn’t blame Remus even though his thoughts often betrayed him.
“At least James is alive,” Remus started again, “and he will heal. We will make sure this never happens again.”

“And what about Ginny?” Harry asked quickly.

“I’ve already asked Dora to watch her, promising I would explain more later. We’ll have to keep that in mind as we plot, Harry. That makes yet another person that is going to know what has really happened.”

Suddenly Harry stopped in thought at the mention of Tonks, Remus’ wife. They had been separated for much of the time the duo had been running about trying to catch the remaining Death Eaters and Remus rarely mentioned it in complaint. He and Dora, as Remus called her, were an endearing couple that never really displayed their affections in public, but the gleam in both of their eyes succeeded to any mention that they were most certainly entirely in love.

Tonks knew about Harry, it was impossible to keep it secret from her with Remus needing to disappear so often and for such lengths, but she had been solid to her word and kept it completely secret from anyone else, although she had a rather stern conversation with Remus about the devastation this plan would cause in Ginny and James’ lives. She disapproved, but understood all the same. It was a mixture of respect and disagreeable behavior, but it worked for the purpose.

“You and your wife have been so good to me, Remus, I don’t think I’ve ever told you that,” Harry added in simple sidenote. He never gave his friend the credit and gratitude he deserved and however inadequate or late it may be, he wanted to do so now. “I know it’s hard, but you’ve never thought twice about it. You run around the planet with me as if you were completely unattached-"

“Harry,” Remus shushed, “we both know I’m far from unattached, and I don’t pretend to be.”

“That’s not what I-“

“I know, and I appreciate your thanks, but I simply recognize this is where I’m needed right now, and luckily I have a beautiful wife that understands that. Besides we won’t have a future if this…this…nuisance, doesn’t get taken care of immediately and so in many ways I’m not just here to protect you.”

Remus grinned slightly at the last word, glancing at Harry quickly.

“For the world, Remus,” Harry added, raising his eyebrow smilingly.

Remus and Harry exchanged solid glances. Sometimes Remus surprised him, other times he said things that were completely known but otherwise unspoken and the fact of the matter was that Harry had known for a long time Remus was not along to chaperone, but as a fellow fighter, a fellow soldier in this battle against darkness for his own cause and not necessarily this messy-hair man. That, in so many ways, was the greatest comfort to Harry. When push came to shove he knew he could always rely on his friend to be just as fierce as he would be himself.

Remus smiled briefly and let a narrow glance to James go unnoticed. The two men were still reeling from the fact that James had made it to their hut and were both pacing in thought that neither wanted to admit “ they didn’t understand the dreams, how James had them or how he was able to follow them to his father. The Death Eater attack was hardly the weight on their minds, though James’ recovery and restoration without spoiling the entire plan was heavily shadowed by it.

Harry sat down at the edge of the bed and gave his son a thorough stare. His heart filled with an exploding sensation as if it had been topped with gunpowder and he reached out for James’ small hand.

“Remus, I don’t think I can live like this much longer,” he said hoarsely.

Remus walked towards Harry’s weary frame and laid a rough hand against his shoulder.

“I’ve lost him once, and he’s had to lose me…why do we have to go through this again? My body can’t take it; my heart can’t bear the weight.”

Remus squeezed the warm thread of Harry’s jumper and spoke softly into the air behind his head.

“A very wise man once said that the time would soon come when we would have to choose between was is right and what is easy. I suppose there are a lot of questions we could ask, and even more directions we could take for our lives, but ultimately it is what is best, which is not always what we want, that should be followed.”

As Harry listened the bellow of the author flooded his mind. Dumbledore had said those things, Dumbledore had given Lupin those wise words and they gave Harry a sort of security in his actions. He tucked his chin into the neck of his clothing and inhaled the wool. It was a scent that had come to remind him of Ginny for all the scarves and sorts she had knitted him with it.

“I suppose I just don’t understand this life I’ve been given,” Harry said quietly. “I just want to close my eyes and wake up with Ginny warm in my arms and James safely asleep in his bed. Why does my life have to be like this? Why can’t my life ever be easy? Why can’t it ever be good?”

Remus sighed deeply.

“You do have something good, Harry. You have a wife and a son, even though it seems like everything has become a wreck now. You have people who desperately love you and would give anything to bring you back to their lives if only they thought they could. And, above everything else, you have been given the honor of saving the entire world.”

Saving the entire world, Harry thought. As if I ever wanted that...

He did have to admit, however, that the things Remus said were true. He did have incredible friends and family, none of whom deserved to be treated so dreadfully.

There was a sudden mumble from the bed and Harry darted his eyes towards James’ face. His son’s eyes were barely opened and his lips looked dry and pale. He was so tiny under the giant sheets and Harry squeezed his hand into his palm.

“James?” He asked.

“Dad?” James whispered in a barely audible sound.

Harry let out a sigh of relief and desperation. As elated as he was to hear the sound of his son’s voice, he couldn’t evaluate how horrible it was to see him like this.

“It hurts,” James spoke into the stale air.

Harry’s heart pounded with anger and helplessness.

“I’m so sorry, James…I’m so, so sorry…"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny’s eyes were wide. Her heart was racing and her hands were becoming clammy and slippery as she clenched them together.

“What are you saying?” She asked incredulously.

“Ginny, James never fell out of that tree.” Harry said. “We modified your memory to remember that happening instead of what really did.”

Harry was tired of dancing around the issue, tired of waiting for the right time. It was now, the time to tell her everything…this was the very moment he’d been hoping for all those years tucked away in the dark and shadows, and he was not going to hold back.

“Those scars…they’re…I mean…but how long did he stay with you? I mean, how long until I found him again, or…”

Ginny fumbled through her thoughts for a tangible question, but nothing seemed to come out right. Harry, however, followed her lead and responded right away.

“James stayed with me for quite some time, there’s a lot missing that you won’t recall.”

“What?” Ginny said with a raised voice. “What won’t I recall? Merlin, Harry, this just keeps getting worse, doesn’t it?”

“Well, George told you that James was staying the weekend with him, it was the weekend of some special joke convention or other. He preformed a rather simple forgetfulness charm on you that you believed you’d just let it slip your mind, which gave us a few days to work out the exact plan.”

There was a gasping sound and Ginny’s jaw dropped, her eyes becoming red as they fought the tears inside. She was almost still save for the heave in every minute or so.

“George?” She managed.

“Yeah, George,” He replied, inching forward towards her weakened frame.

“George knew about you?”

“Well…yeah, he did.”

“For how long?!”

Harry paused and then answered, “The entire time. We couldn’t hide it from him; he gave us a place to hide when I was first rescued. He promised to watch out for you and James until everything got sorted out…which…never really did, I suppose. He didn’t like the plan, either, almost refused to go along with it, but in the end I was able to convince him. I nearly had to perform a memory charm on him as well!”

For whatever reason Harry found this last bit amusing, Ginny did not. She felt like her body was being emptied of life and it was everything for her to remain composed in any form.

“Then both George and Remus knew about you? Did George ever…go out and fight with you?”

“No, no, he was sort of the guard at home. In fact, we almost never spoke with him, I believe it was really only once a year or so, and always incredibly brief. We did call on him for a few supplies, however. What might be harmless prank bits are actually quite efficient fighting tools.”

Again he chuckled quickly and Ginny gaped.

“Well they still know, I presume?”

Harry cleared his throat.

“Uh, well…yeah.”

His eyes darted down and Ginny could tell he was lying to her about something.

“Harry, can you please explain to me what I seem to be missing? Remus and George do or do not know about you?”

“No, no, they know. Bloody hell, Remus knows. It’s just that…well…there’s sort of a secret that I’ve hidden from him.”

Ginny surveyed him carefully.

“How could you hide a secret from Remus when he was the only one who even knew you were still alive?” Ginny asked confused. Surely Harry wouldn’t have isolated himself so securely.

Harry choked a bit and looked back at his wife. Everything needed to come out of the dark…there would be no more secrets, finally.

“Well…it’s complicated. And, Remus wasn’t the only one, of course. I mean, George knew. And…well…I’ve said there were others…”

Ginny’s cheeks were becoming hot.

“What? There were…” her jaw became stiff and she glared. “How many others, Harry?”

Harry didn’t even breathe, he just replied.

“Tonks, McGonagall…”

“Bloody hell, Harry!” She responded.

Harry could see her chest caving in, but he waited patiently as her breathing became heavier. She moved her neck forward, her head bobbing off the end of it with each pressured swallow of air. Harry’s heart was aching within his chest…it was all going to explode; he could feel it swirling around his body in the thick, Burrow air. He could tell that Ginny was trying not to cry, but she had never been able to keep her truest emotions hidden from him. He felt like the most awful man in the world.

“Oh, Ginny…I’m so sorry…I just…I want to tell you everything. I’m tired of keeping secrets from you. Hell, I’m tired of keeping secrets from anyone.”

The air continued to force itself down, heavy upon Harry’s arms and chest. He watched Ginny attempting to control her body and sat still as she slowly regained her composure.

“Anyone else, then? Are there any more secret conspirators? No more secrets, Harry. You’re getting it all out now so get on and get it out!”

Harry could hardly muster the courage to utter his next words, but he knew she was right. All or nothing, and it looked like today was all.

“Right…uh, there was one more…” He watched Ginny intently and begged that she could manage it. “Ron knew…”

Harry added the last name through a cough, knowing it would cause a greater stir. Ginny and Ron had always been incredibly close and the fact that this brother had lied to her as well would not sit well on her heart.

“Ronald?!” She exclaimed. “Ron knew?!”

She gritted her teeth, uncertain of where to look, what to do with her hands, even how to breathe. Everything was so confusing, pounding into her like racing nails against a fragile plank. She could feel fire swelling in her veins, cursing and pulsing like a strobe. Her vision was blurring, her hands were slipping, her heart was leaping from her chest.

“I don’t understand. I mean, you keep telling me that the less people that knew the better. How then, is it possible that so many were aware of such a serious secret, but yet I was kept out of it all? I am the one person, Harry, the one person that you would think should know! Was I the only one that didn’t?”

“Ginny, there are very good reasons that each person was made aware of my life, and you are actually the last person that could know, not the first. I’ve been trying to explain this to you the entire time, it’s just, it’s so complicated, so intricate.”

“Well then tell me, damn it! Why are you still bladdering on?”

“It’s not so easy as a bedtime story, Gin,” Harry replied in the softest voice he could muster through his mounting frustration. “I’ve been trying to tell you this entire time, but you don’t seem to want to listen well enough. Haven’t you thought that this could be difficult for me just as much as it would be for you?”

Ginny’s eyes widened and her face flushed deep to match her hair.

“Oh, no, I’m so sorry! I’d forgotten to pity you in all of this, what with my husband coming back from the dead, my son nearly being murdered, my memory modified to not recall and my only remaining brothers aware of it all along…well, I’ve just been too preoccupied to notice your poor heart.

“That’s not what I meant, Gin,” He tried.

“Right, well, then, Harry Potter, tell me what you meant. Tell me something! I’m tired of this! I want answers! What the hell happened to my son?! I distinctly remember him falling from a tree and cutting his chest which are now the scars that cover him, however you’re sitting here claiming that those scars are actually the result of a death eater attack set on by Minister Phish which James received after apparating, at six years old mind you, to your hidden cottage in the middle of the woods…sounds all a bit like nonsense…but I believe every word you say because, well, you’re saying them! You aren’t even supposed to be alive and yet somehow you are so it just seems logical that all of these crazy stories you’re telling me would actually be true!”

Ginny let out an exasperated grunt and pulled at her hair.

“I just want to understand and right now I don’t understand a lick! Not a damn lick, Harry!”

It felt like they were going back and forth this way the entire time, Harry thought to himself. He didn’t know how long it would be until he could get his entire story out, nor how long it would be until Ginny could understand just the reason he had to keep it secret from her. Maybe she never would…he didn’t want to think about that possibility. It was too late for her to pretend that none of this existed, that none of this had happened. James had too much wrapped up in it, and so did Hogwarts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you understand why I had to do this, James?” Harry asked, trying to be stern, but failing miserably.

James was crying foolishly as he nodded his head. It was a forced motion and desperate sadness pulled through his small arms and fists.

“James, I don’t want to do this, I never wanted this, please know that.” Harry leaned in closely and took James into his arms. Their bodies melted together in a painful bind. “I love you so much.”

James continued sobbing into Harry’s shoulder and whispered back, “I love you, too, daddy.”

Harry heard a creak outside the room and he was reminded that Remus was still close by, waiting to take James back. It had been nearly six weeks since the fight and Harry had gotten used to having his son around.

James had spent the better part of the first week in bed, his cuts healing nicely, however, just as the two men has imagined, they were leaving large scars in their wake. There was no way they could be concealed, and magical cuts such as these can not be vanished like normal bruises and scrapes…sort of like the scar Harry bore on his forehead.

As soon as James was well enough to walk around and get about himself, Harry and Remus let him because they knew the best cure for any illness was action. Calm action, of course, but giving your body life all the same. James was able to sit up at the table and eat dinner with the two men, and he and Harry would spent countless hours playing wizard’s chest, which Harry regretted he was much worse at.

Their favorite activity, however, was simply talking. Harry learned all about James’ primary school, the house he and Ginny shared, Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione and their kids, William, Emma, and Molly and how Ginny told him he wasn’t allowed to ride a broom until he was at least nine, but Ron let him all the time. Harry laughed at this fact and thought if he had the opportunity, he would be doing the same thing.

Harry also shared all his stories with James about the fighting and the battles and the reasons he had to be away. James was only six years old, but he had a mind twice his age and he and Harry held intelligent conversations, letting nothing go milk-coated or soft. James understood everything in a surprising adult manner that left Harry both proud and relieved.

Now, however, it was time to say good-bye to all of that and send James back to his mum. As Harry held close to James he felt courage well up within him and he knew everything would be all right. Some things are unexplainable, some emotions too powerful to tame…this was one of those times. More than the confusion that ensued when Harry had to fake his death to the world, was the peace that this was actually the right decision to make. Why, Harry never did quite know, but all the same, his gut pulled and he rested in the final word.

“Dad, I don’t want to forget,” James said softly as Harry tucked his messy hair behind his ear. Harry couldn’t reply and simply gave him a forced smile. “I want to see you again; I don’t want you to disappear.”

“I know, James, but we have to remember that this is very dangerous - very, very dangerous.”

Harry stared at James right in the face and lowered down to whisper.

“We’ve talked about this and you know every detail, but we still have to be so careful, James. You never know who is looking into your mind. I trust you and I can see just how talented you are, don’t ever doubt that, it’s just…I know what the world is capable of. Especially Phish, most certainly him. You know what the Death Eaters can do, please don’t ever forsake just how powerful they actually are.”

“Dad, you’ve told me everything you could. And Uncle Ron has talked to me, too. In fact, everyone has talked to me. I know, Dad, I know what to watch out for.”

“James, as much as I think that’s true, we do have to remember that you are only six years old, no matter how wise you are.”

Harry leaned in and pinched his cheek with a shy grin across his lips.

“I can do this, dad, I promise I can.”

Harry opened his mouth to speak, but felt compelled to contain his words. He continued watching James whose eyes were strong and thick as they looked back. They had Ginny’s fire in them and there was something familiar about the stubborn adamant they possessed. Harry sighed slightly as he conceded to the battle in his mind. James could do this, for some reason he just knew that.

“I don’t understand my own heart sometimes, James,” Harry said quietly.

“But you know I can do this, right? I can help you, we can be a team!” James exclaimed.

“I do believe you are able to do this, no matter how nervous it makes me. I’ve always been able to use my instincts before, they’ve not failed me yet, and for some reason they’re telling me this is all right.”

“Well then why don’t you understand your heart, dad?” James asked with obvious remark that he didn’t understand what that meant.

“My heart tells me to something that my brain doesn’t think I should, but I think I should go with my heart on this one.” James nodded innocently. “I say I don’t understand my own heart because I think I’m just tired. I’m really tired of lying to everyone and I just want to have a normal life. I guess this is a start in, well, some sort of tiny way.”

James reached over and gave his father a giant hug, squeezing tightly like he never wanted to let go.

“Harry?” Remus said from outside with a gentle knock. “It’s time to go.”

“Right, yeah, I’ll be right out,” Harry replied smoothly. He turned to James and looked at him one last time straight in the eyes. “If anything goes wrong, anything at all, this is over, James, you understand that?”

James nodded silently.

“Uncle Ron knows what to do and remember that this is not something to talk about regularly, only on really special occasions. Don’t trust anyone else unless we’ve talked about it, all right?”

James nodded again and then whispered to Harry, “I’ll be a man soon enough, dad, and I’ll be just like you, brave and strong. This is good practice.”

Another knock on the door ushered Harry and James out of the room with a tiny chuckle and Harry took his son’s hand for the last time.

“I love you, son, don’t ever forget that.”

Remus swallowed quietly behind the pair as they exchanged a tender hug and James kissed Harry on the cheek.

“I won’t, and neither will mummy.”

Remus took hold of James’ shoulder and pulled him back, leaving a rocking Harry in his wake. Remus looked down at Harry, who pierced him with tear-filled eyes, straining to stay strong.

“It’s been done, Remus, now go before he figures out anything else.”

With a loud crack Remus and James were gone to send what Remus thought was an unremembering boy to his home with unremembering family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny bent down even lower.

“Please don’t tell me what I think you are, please, no, Harry, please!"

Harry would have stabbed out his own heart if he had any strength left at all.

“Yes, Ginny. James knew. I never modified his memory…he’s known since that day."

Ginny snapped and let out a shattering sob.

“No! Please, why everyone but me, Harry? Why James?”

Ginny dropped to the floor, her knees hitting the wooden planks with a resounding smash. Harry dropped down next to her and frantically tried to speak.

“I couldn’t do it, Gin, I couldn’t do it to him again. Besides, there was something inside of me that just knew he needed to remember all of it. My gut told me that he needed to be on my side and not in the dark.”

Ginny threw her fists at his chest.

“I spent years with you, Harry! I spent years in hiding with you, years eating broth and living in shacks with no clean water. Harry! I gave you my life, trusted you with everything I had, my entire soul, and you still did this to me?! I would have died for you to know that you would be safe and that James would have a father! Why couldn’t you trust me? Why couldn’t you give me that much?!"

Harry took hold of her fists and tried to force her eyes to meet his own.

“He was in your mind, Gin! He knew your every thought!”

“What are you talking about?” She screamed, still sobbing and furious.

“Phish, he was in your mind all those years! There was no way I could have come to you, no way!”

“What the hell are you talking about? Damn it!”

Ginny tears subsided slightly and Harry again scrambled to get everything out quick enough before she had time to abandon.

“You were the only one who had never been trained in occulamency, Ginny, and Phish had been trying the entire time to find out where I was. The others were able to keep him out of their minds because they were skilled enough and aware of his attempts. You, however, were not and were entirely vulnerable to his attacks.”

Ginny’s sobbing receded and Harry could tell she was thinking softly, contemplating this, trying to find how Harry had still lied and betrayed her.

“Why didn’t you just teach me then?”

“It was too late!” Harry released his grip on her hands and placed a finger under her chin moving it up so that her eyes watching his own. “From the first moment of hiding Remus and I knew one of the most fragile devices used against us would be the minds of our friends and so we knew that no one could help us that weren't able to protect themselves against it. George already knew of course, but luckily he was trained during the battle with Voldemort and was able to set his mind up against anyone entering it. The same happened for the others that came to find out. When I talked about you and we discussed the possibility of you simply being taught such a skill so that you could also be part of this, we realized the length of time required to master such abilities and that it might take years before you, or anyone else, would be ready. Besides, I was certain the death eaters had their eyes on you and James and we couldn’t run the risk of them finding out just what you were doing. In the end it came down to the fact that you would just have to stay in the dark, no matter how desperately horrible or hard it was.”

Ginny’s breathing was relaxing slightly as did Harry’s. His heart was racing, the adrenaline pumping through his body. Why had that been so hard to explain before? It was really quite simple once he spit it out.

Phish had been desperately seeking Harry and was trying everything to find him out. Eventually he discovered a way although it was terribly lucky that he hadn’t discovered more. Ginny, unfortunately, had never learned occulamency and would have given away all of his information immediately, unintentionally of course, but given away all the same. It was a matter of life and death, hard enough running in silence, let alone with your every plan mustered out through your wife’s gentle brain. As hard at it would be, he couldn’t let her know anything. If Ginny really thought he was dead, all the better.

“What about James?” Ginny asked, still searching for holes.

“James’ memory of me and the events of the time we spent together were hidden using a very ancient memory charm, impenetrable by anyone other than the keeper of the memory. It’s almost like keeping your thoughts in a pensieve, only, there’s no risk of someone stumbling upon them and falling deep into your most secret pasts. He is an absolutely brilliant boy, mind-boggling in his magical gifting, you know. I’m sure he could have preformed the charm when he was two! Well, not really, but the point stands that he is incredible and capable as a six-year old of what many full-grown wizards never dreamed of.”

“You’re telling me that my little child could keep out wizards and I was still left alone?”

“Gin, you must understand what I’m telling you. The fact that I was still alive meant nothing to James unless he chose to search for it. If Phish ever got into his mind, which he most certainly did after James returned from the time with me, it would appear that James’ memory had been erased and he too believed I was dead, like nothing had ever happened. This meant that James wouldn’t always remember me, but when he thought hard enough and dreamed about it, he would know. You had nothing, no way of protecting yourself.”

“Couldn’t you do the same to me that you did to James?” She asked, still adamant.

“Again, Gin, they were watching you all the time. If I showed up anywhere it would have been the end of me. I was always hiding, always running. Remus had to run all of the errands, and he would apparate to several fake locations before ever actually returning to me, you never knew who was looking where. It was too complicated and too dangerous. James came to me, but I could never come to you.”

“Then why didn’t Remus bring me to you?”

“Again, they were watching. We had to keep it quiet. Gin, please, if you think about I know you’ll understand. I know you, I know your heart and I know your wisdom. I know you’ll sort it out if you just give it a moment to sink in without shooting it down.”

Harry looked at her pleadingly. He was relying on the strength he knew she had to get them through this together now. He could feel her pulling away on the outside, but he could see her fighting to stay on the inside. He knew that Ginny loved him, no matter how buried it might be at the moment. How could it surface if he never told her the truth, though? How could they ever rebuild if there were any lies?

It felt good to finally release this pressure after so many years. He was finally safe to be with his family once again and finally ready to start his life. Now it was just the last bit of information and the waiting for Ginny to decide what was in her heart anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Potter,” a shrill and commanding voice said through the corridor.

James whipped around to see Headmistress McGonagall coming up behind him, her lips pursed sharply through a dim smile.

“Hello Headmistress,” he said softly, nervous that she was approaching him.

“Are you all right?” She asked smoothly.

“Oh, well, yes I am,” James replied confused. “Should I not be?”

“No, no, of course not. It’s just that, well, I know that it’s going be a very hard time to adjust to this new…situation and I wanted to make certain you are all right and ready, really prepared for it.”

James looked at her carefully. He felt suddenly small and insecure and paused for the excited and frightened emotion to resurface through his little, racing heart.

“James?” The headmistress whispered.

“Yes, I’m ready,” he said, his 11-year old voice losing strength. “I’ve been waiting for this and I’m ready.”

McGonagall looked at him softly, but fiercely. A wild excitement lit up in her eyes like James had never seen before.

“It’s all very exciting isn’t it, James? You’ve been a brave soul these past few years, just like your father. You’ve made him proud, I’m sure of it.”

James felt his heart ripen slightly and the headmistress smiled at him. He had made his father proud? Not that he didn’t necessarily know that, but it was something he loved to hear nonetheless.

“Thank you Headmistress,” he replied.

“We’re all expecting great things from you this year, Potter, just as we did from him.”

She grinned cheekily and turned back down the corridor, her robe bustling behind her and her heels clicking against the stone. James watched as she walked away, grinning even wider now. They expected great things from him, too? He straightened his robes and adjusted his hat, his messy hair sticking out from beneath the black material. With a mighty intake of confident air he continued his journey to the Gryffindor tower, the place that would become his new home, the same place that had been home to one of the greatest wizards to ever live…his father.

The time was near and he was definitely ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry fell back against the front of the couch, his back resting on the dusty cushions.

“Ginny, there’s just one last bit that I need to tell you. It’s the biggest reason that I’ve come to you now rather than any other time.”

“Is it worse than everything else?” She asked wearily, wiping the wetness from under her eyes.

“No, not at all. I would even venture to say that it’s not terrible in the slightest,” he said, hoping he could cheer her up with something good.

“Wait, “Ginny interrupted, “before you say anything else, I need to say something.”

“Yes, anything, Gin,” Harry urged. He was certainly not going to stop her.

“Well, I-“ Ginny paused to think about her words, took a strong look at Harry and then continued, “I’m just thinking as you’re talking to me that I’m angry and I’m scared; how I’m confused, hurt…”

Harry’s hopes dashed and his brow furrowed.

“I keep thinking about all of the terrible things I should say or feel and I keep watching the door wondering how I could storm out of here well enough that the point would be made you can never speak to myself or James again..."

Harry’s heart fell to his feet.

“…And then those same feelings flood in me that made me come back here the first time. Harry, you’ve always been here in my heart. You’ve always been there for James and you’ve always been there for you friends.”

Harry’s heart gave a little rise.

“And you’ve always been there for me.”

His heart gave a leap back into his chest and his hands began to pump blood again.

“You see,” Ginny continued, “I just, I want to tell you again that I am angry. I am upset. I am so, so confused…"

Every ounce of being within Harry stood on end as he watched Ginny’s mouth form the next few words, letting a scream out inside his body that compared to nothing less than a fireworks display during the new year.

“…but I love you no matter what and I am more content to give you this time and get to know you once more than I am willing to run away again. I came back because I realized what a fool I was to leave…I won’t make the same mistake twice. Forever, Harry James Potter, means forever.”

Harry threw his face into his hands this time and laughed as he cried. Had she really just come out and said it? Just like that, so simple? Had Ginny really just told him what he’d been desperately waiting to hear? Had she really just said that she would be with him forever?

He threw his head back and let out a cry of joy, tears pouring down his cheeks. He looked at Ginny who was also crying again, although her smile was a bit different, more coy and sweet. He took note of her deep brown eyes and the way her perfect red hair glistened against her pale skin.

Merlin, you are the most beautiful woman to ever grace this earth, he thought passionately.

Every tension within his body exploded in a giant collapse of emotion and Harry leaned in towards his wife. Without thinking, without a single question, he reached his hands to hold her face, her skin soft and warm against his rough hands, and brought his lips down to her own in a gentle, longing, passionate kiss. It were those very lips that had captured his heart so many years ago in a kiss as incredibly explosive as this one now, and the very same lips that would capture his heart for the rest of his life.

They took their time inhaling the pleasure before they let go and set back.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t-“ Harry started, but Ginny quickly placed a finger over his lips and shook her head.

“It will be a new start, it will be different…but it will be us, Harry, and for that you have nothing to apologize for.”

She leaned in again and took in another, deeper kiss, butterflies dancing in her stomach in such mass she could almost hear them humming in her ears.

Harry pulled away once more and Ginny smiled. Harry lifted his arm against the couch, opening a crevice for her to sneak in and she cuddled into his chest. They lay there for a while, a time unknown to either, hours, days, seconds…it was all the same. All that mattered was that they were together. No Voldemort, no Phish…just Harry and Ginny and...

“James!” Ginny gasped. “Does he know that you’ve come here tonight? What does he know? Are you going to tell him about this?”

“Well, that’s sort of the last bit I wanted to tell you,” Harry began looking carefully at Ginny, “James does know…and very soon the rest of the world will, too.”
****************************************************************
Please review! I hope you liked the story!!
Plans For the Future by mollyweasleyisfantastic
Author's Notes:
The time is nearing for Harry to reappear to a world that has thought him dead for such a long time...
--------------------------------------------------------
“James! Wait up!”

James turned around to see a tall girl with long, dark, brown hair running towards him through the hall. She slowed to a walk a few feet from him and smiled.

“It is James, right?” She asked.

He nodded and waited awkwardly as she stared at him.

“Um, is there something you wanted?” He finally asked her shyly.

“Oh, right, yeah. I just wanted to sort of, well, welcome you to Hogwarts and to Gryffindor, you know…” her voice gently trailed off and James smiled. He noticed her red and gold tie and remembered that she had sat a few seats down from him at the Gryffindor table earlier.

“Thanks,” He replied. He could tell that others were nervous around him (and he had heard all the whispering in the Great Hall earlier). It was something he had been prepared for and something that didn’t make him nervous the way he thought it would, but rather made him laugh inside.

“Right, well, actually, I wanted to introduce myself there. My name is Shawna Appleton and I’m a fifth year.”

James smiled again and took her outstretched hand. “James Potter, first year.”

Shawna smiled back at the small boy. “Yeah, I knew that.”

James heard her take a breath in and ease up a little.

They stood in the shadow of the hall for another long, silent pause. James waited and watched Shawna shuffle her feet.

“Was there anything else?” He asked quietly.

“Uh, well, sort of. I…I was just wondering if you were, maybe, possibly, planning on trying out for the house team?”

James blinked a couple times and let the question sink in. He was surprised, he had to admit. He had been waiting for some other more daunting question, something about his father, perhaps, or Voldemort or the war, which were the normal causes for such nervousness in others. But not this. He let out a bigger chuckle and Shawna looked up at him, her eyes pleading in a manner that would equal a much younger student lost amongst the changing staircases and winding halls of the castle.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I thought you would ask me something else,” he said.

Shawna looked embarrassed for a minute, but recovered quickly.

“Oh, I’m sorry to disappoint you then. It’s just that the rumor in the castle is that you’ve gained your father’s talent for flying. I’m not sure if it’s true or not, but if it is we could really use the help. It’s not exactly been the most promising lineup the past few years.”

James blushed a little bit. He did have a certain affinity for flying that his uncle Ron had told him was akin to his father’s, but he had no idea how anyone else would have heard about that. It was just his first night in the castle after all.

“Who said that? I mean, I like flying and all, but I don’t know if I’m really any good,” he said modestly.


“It’s all over the castle,” Shawna said, gaining confidence. “Ravenclaw was really hoping you would end up in their house because they could use the help even more than we could, but then, we all knew you were a Gryffindor through and through.”

This made James smile even more and something warm curled up inside his stomach. When the sorting hat had called his name all he could think about was how badly he didn’t want to be in Slytherin, and how proud his family would be if he followed in their footsteps as a Gryffindor. He knew his aunt Hermione was delighted by the shriek that escaped her from the professor’s table and he could just imagine the hug his mum would give him. He shook himself back to the moment and wondered if it was really possible to be part of the team.

“I didn’t think first years could be on their house teams…I mean, I know my dad was, but I thought that was a special circumstance.” James crossed his fingers hoping he had brought up something she already knew and wouldn’t affect her opinion.

“James, the special circumstance meant that your dad was an incredible player. If you’ve got his talent than the circumstances are equally special now.” James felt relief and let his shoulders down slightly. “Look,” Shawna finished, “You don’t have to make a decision right this second. I’ll keep you posted when the try-out day comes. I just, well, I was hoping you would think about it. Think about it seriously.”

James nodded and Shawna smiled at him. She gave him a low wave with her left hand and quickly scuffled towards the common room door.

As her footsteps disappeared into the evening castle air James looked down at his robes, his red and gold tie smooth in the pale lighting. He adjusted his hat and brushed down his hair, which never obeyed him anyway, then straightened his tie slightly. He felt big and strong. He felt powerful and excited, all of his feelings stirring inside of him once more. His mum had been right; everything was going to be just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry looked into Ginny’s eyes and let out a sigh, only this time the sigh was uplifting and excited, not frightened and cautious like all the ones he’d let out before.

“Harry, I’m confused. What are you going to do? How do you mean our world going to find out about this?”

Harry looked at Ginny and clasped her hand.

“Hogwarts,” he said as he looked at her hand in his.

Ginny raised a perplexed eyebrow for a minute until his hint sunk in.

“You’re going to be a professor, you mean to say?” Harry nodded. “And you’re going to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, I would also assume?” Harry added a grin to his nod. “You’re replacing Remus? And I can only imagine that James already knows about this as well?”

Harry couldn’t help but grin as he nodded once more. He had limited the time that he spent with his son to be extra careful, but when he was asked by Headmistress McGonagall to be the new professor for Defense Against the Dark Arts he knew he would have to ask James’ permission first. After all, he couldn’t imagine just wandering into the classroom one morning, seeing James’ expression and having to explain to everyone else at the same time about his sudden and incredible reappearance. Harry suspected that James would be the first one to encourage him to accept the position, but then James had been pleading with his father for quite some time to come back so that they could be one big family again ever since the last Death Eater was officially captured. Now James would have his wish and they were going to be a family. Not to mention James would have a few bragging rights that other kids wouldn’t…

Ginny nuzzled into Harry’s side. “I should have known.”

“How do you mean?” Harry asked as he brushed her hair with his fingertips.

“Well, who else could follow such a wonderful professor? I heard it through the grapevine…Hermione of course. She wasn’t supposed to know, but Remus let her in on the secret so that he could say good-bye properly before all of the hustle and bustle about it arose. She promised to act surprised when the announcement was made…but I’m sure she won’t have any trouble acting surprised when you show up.” Harry chuckled making Ginny bounce on his chest for a moment and then she looked up at him. “You really will make a brilliant teacher, you know.”

“Well thank you,” Harry said as he puffed out his chest a little bit.

Ginny looked back down and played with the hem of his jumper.

“You know, I actually thought about that quite a few times. I wondered what our life would have been like if everything had been normal, if you were still alive, I mean. I always thought you would have made an excellent teacher, and if you were at Hogwarts there would be no other subject but DADA that would suit.”

“It’s true,” Harry added nonchalantly with a smile. “You know, I dreamed about that too…I wondered if the day would ever come that I would even have the option of some sort of ‘normal’ job, and I thought a lot about what that might be.”

“Did you think about becoming a teacher?” Ginny asked as she cuddled closer.

“Yeah, actually…I did…”

------------------------------------------------------------------

The stars were deep and radiant against the silky, black sky. Harry gazed out a tiny hole in the boarded window and then back down to the ink-stained parchment in his hand. “Dear Ginny” was all he had seemed to manage in the past hour because his mind kept wandering over all the things he wanted to tell her and all the things he wished he could say. He knew that the letter would never reach her, heck, she didn’t even know he was alive, but he had a yearning to write it nonetheless.

Remus moved behind him and Harry turned to catch a glance of his partner.

“Beautiful night, eh Harry?” Remus asked as he began to open a jar of pumpkin juice that Dora had made for him and Harry.

“Yeah, it really is.” Harry looked back out the tiny hole and sighed. “I wish I could be out there, though. Sometimes I get so tired of having to always hide away in these stale rooms, the dank caves and empty, abandoned buildings.”

Remus looked up at the back of Harry and noticed how thin his friend had become recently. This life was not an easy one. He hated hiding just as much as Harry did, but at least he could go home to a wife and hearth when the time allowed. Harry was stuck in the shadows without relief.

“Someday, Harry. Someday this will all be over and then you’ll be able to run around under the stars as much as your heart desires.” Remus gave a fake smile and optimism to try and cheer his friend up before returning to the food before him.

Harry turned back around and caught Remus’ face and studied the expression for a moment.

“Remus?” Harry asked as Remus untied a small handkerchief containing some spiced bread.

Remus glanced up again for a second to catch Harry’s eyes and assure him that he was listening. “Yeah?”

“Do you think we’ll really see the end of this?”

Remus stopped untying the cloth, but didn’t lift his eyes. Harry watched him, but his fingers never moved. His shoulders were firm in their position propped up from the table and his hair was long in his eyes.

“Yeah…I do, Harry. I honestly do.”

Harry turned back towards the starlit view and swallowed.

“What would I do with myself, Remus? I don’t even know."

“What do you mean? There would be plenty to keep the great Harry Potter occupied.”

Harry scoffed at the note

“Autographs and interviews, you mean to say? Nothing of importance or purpose. Really, Remus. What would I do with my life?”

Remus glanced at Harry’s back again and then began to slide a small dab of apple butter on one of the thin slices of bread.

“There’s a lot you could do, Harry. You are a very talented wizard. Didn’t you talk about becoming an auror? You would certainly be qualified to do that.”

Harry barely nodded. Remus noted his non-response and set the knife onto the napkin that had covered the bread.

“I suppose after all of this who wants to chase more dark wizards around? Or perhaps there won’t be anymore left to get, eh?”

“There’ll always be dark wizards…” Harry said slightly.

“Yeah, I suppose there will be, but you could let someone else have a go at them for a change, right? Perhaps find something else that entertains you? Who says you really have to work, anyway? There’s plenty else you could do, take some time off, maybe? Rest, even?”

Remus watched Harry as the young wizard’s shoulders lowered and his head sunk away from the tiny viewing hole. Harry’s form became more and more fragile every time Remus looked at him, it seemed. He stepped away from the tiny dinner he had been preparing for himself and walked behind Harry. With a gentle hand on Harry’s shoulder he asked,

“What would you like to do, son? If none of this had happened, what do you think you would have done with yourself?”

Harry didn’t lift his eyes and after a few moments of silence he replied,

“I would have married Ginny, started a family with her.” Remus felt his heart pump unsteadily and sadness crept over once more. “I would have taught my children everything I knew, all about magic and evil & good. I would have taught James to fly and played Quidditch with him every Sunday. Perhaps Ginny and I would have had a little girl, but I wouldn’t have known quite what to teach her other than the fact that she would be the most beautiful girl in the universe…next to her mother, of course.”

“Harry…” Remus said softly, not really knowing how to comfort his friend.

“I would really love to teach them everything, you know? In fact, I’d like to teach all sorts of wizarding children the things I wish I would have known. I’d like to help them, give them the sort of knowledge that no one else will give. I even thought about teaching at Hogwarts. I could teach all the students the complicated spells and incantations you’re not supposed to ever learn in school, but are the ones you really ever need. I could even make Dumbledore’s Army a permanent fixture for anyone more interested in learning defense spells.”

Remus noticed that as Harry was talking his shoulders had lifted and his posture had become upright. There was energy in his words, energy in his body.

“Well, there you are, Harry. That sounds really wonderful, actually, and I think you would make a fine professor.”

Harry looked up at Remus and for a moment Remus saw an enchanted glow in Harry’s eyes, one that used to glow constantly, but it was overtaken by the familiar gray that had consumed them lately and Harry stood up from his chair.

“It’ll never happen. The world thinks I’m dead and if I don’t become that way in reality, I can’t imagine how they would ever take me back to teach their children. They’d be too frightened and confused to consider the possibility.”

“Rubbish, Harry. Pure rubbish. When, and I stress when, this is all over, you’re going to arrive back into our world a hero and nothing less. Everyone will be flocking to send their children to Hogwarts to be taught by the famous Harry Potter, there won’t be room enough left! There’ll be books written about you, everyone will want to know your story and hear every word you have to say. You’ll be begged by every school in the world to come and teach for them and you’ll get to choose between the finest of them all! You’ll have to scrape and scrounge for the slightest bit of alone time you can find you’ll be so busy!” Remus took in a scoffing breath. “You can say what you want, but the truth lies far from your words.”

Harry was taken aback by the outburst, but humbled by the strength of his friend’s statement. Harry didn’t try to pity himself, but it certainly became that way at times. It was moments like this he regretted speaking such ignorance and felt the twinge of guilt when one needs to apologize for something.

“I’m sorry, Remus…you’re right. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me, son, just believe it.”

Harry smiled at his friend then glanced at the remaining slice of spiced bread on the tiny table.

“One left for me, then?” He said moving towards it.

Remus motioned towards it eagerly, grabbed his own piece and shoved it in his mouth.

“Make sure to use lots of butter,” he said with a full mouth, “Dora doesn’t exactly have a knack for baking.”

Harry laughed at the scrunched face on Remus and picked up the knife to top the piece off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly there was a chiming within Harry’s pocket and he reached for a small, golden pocket watch he had been given by Professor McGonagall when he accepted the teaching position. “So you’ll never be late,” she had told him with a smirk. He ran his rough fingers over the dragon on the front, two swords crossed beneath it and flipped it open to check the time.

“Midnight already?” He said aloud.

He blinked a few times and realized that both he and Ginny must have fallen asleep because the sky outside was thick with night and Ginny was cuddled closely into his arm, deep in dream. Unwilling to wake her, he scooped her up in his arms and collected her robe from the floor. He draped it carefully over her, held her tight and with a loud pop disapparted from the burrow.

The sunrise came too early and too brightly, Ginny thought as she pulled the covers up over her head. A few seconds later the covers came flying off, her eyes wide and searching around.

“Where am I?” She whispered to herself, but it only took her a moment to realize that she was soft in her bed, the warm sunlight blazing in through her bedroom window. Was it all a dream? She rubbed her eyes, still puffy from a night of crying. Did that mean it wasn’t a dream?


“Harry?” She said into the morning air, her voice a bit hoarse.

Ginny pulled the covers off to find her pink pajamas twisted about her legs and the buttons on her top clumsily placed in the wrong holes. She didn’t bother adjusting, however, as she wandered into the hall and looked around for any sight of her long lost love.

“Harry?” She called again, this time loudly. “Harry, are you here?”

She peered down one end of the hall towards James’ room, but walked towards the kitchen instead.

“Morning!” Harry chimed brightly, suddenly popping into view.

Ginny screamed and jumped back.

“Harry! What in Merlin’s name! You nearly…is that…” her voice trailed out.

“Breakfast? Most certainly is. I was hoping you wouldn’t wake up before I got it to you.”

Ginny stared at the tray in Harry’s hand decked with eggs and bacon, cinnamon cakes, cherry rolls and a great big glass of ice, cold pumpkin juice. Her eyes widened even further and her mouth salivated with the aroma.

“Oh, Harry, thank you so much! This is so thoughtful!”

“Here, why don’t you take this into the sitting room and we’ll have breakfast by the fire. I’ll go grab a tray for myself and meet you in there.” Harry handed the tray over and dashed back into the kitchen, nearly tripping over his over-sized socks on the way.

Ginny walked carefully towards the fireplace, trying to balance so that the cup wouldn’t spill all over the floor and managed to lower to her knees to set it down just in time for Harry to follow her in. He flicked his wand in the direction of the mantle and a large fire puffed into place. Ginny felt all giddy and young inside and plopped down Indian style right in front of the warmth. Harry joined her side and the two flashed child-like smiles before digging into the pile of food in front of them.

“This is so delicious, Harry! I’d almost forgotten what a great chef you are!”

“Fank you,” Harry muffled, a forkful of eggs in his mouth. He chewed quickly and swallowed the heap down. “I wanted to do something nice for you, let today be just about the two of us because very soon that won’t be possible.”

Ginny smiled through a mouthful of cinnamon cake. She swallowed just in time to reply,

“What do you have in mind?”

“Well, it might sound silly to you, but I thought perhaps after breakfast, and after showers, and since we can’t really just wander around outside the neighborhood, I was thinking we could put together a puzzle, or maybe play a game of exploding snaps. You know, the simple things, things we used to enjoy doing together.”

Ginny smiled and set down her fork.

“You know, you were my absolute best friend. Before we dated we were friends, and when we fell in love that friendship only became stronger. I enjoyed spending time with you, Harry. Things like this, days like today. A game of exploding snaps or perhaps some wizard’s chess. You’ve always been a good friend, you will always be one.”

Harry looked at Ginny and noticed how beautiful her hair was, sort of ratted and tangled about, but still shining in the sunlight.

“I want to say that we can start over, but for some reason it almost feels like it never ended,” Harry said, leaning in towards Ginny.

“I don’t think it ever really did, Harry. Love like this never really ends, no matter the circumstances.”

Ginny leaned in towards Harry and their lips met. She felt a chill crawl up her spine and her hands became tingly and warm. His lips tasted like breakfast and she smiled wide, thinking about all the months in hiding together when they smelled anything but eggs and bacon. Those times were long behind them now, but powerful memories all the same.

The couple finished their breakfast, taking their time to savor every moment, then Harry took the dishes to wash while Ginny hopped in the shower. He turned on the water and let it begin to fill the sink while he made sure all the breakfast ingredients were put away and the counters wiped down. During his years in hiding he was rarely allowed to use magic to clean up after himself for fear that it might just be the one breaker to be heard or seen and give his location away, and this morning he acted on habit.

Harry grabbed a towel and began to wipe the counters down, setting the dirty pots and pans in the sink as he reached them. As his hand started over the stovetops he noticed a picture frame hanging just against the wall and hidden behind a few hanging spoons and jars of spices. He pulled it off the wall and admired it for a moment.

Inside the frame was Ginny, dressed in a blue jumper and holding a little baby girl in her arms. Ron was sitting next to her holding James, who was pointing to the little infant in his mother’s arms and all were laughing. On her shoulder was a pin that said in flashing pink letters, PROUD AUNT, and Ron was wearing a bright green shirt that said in swirling pink ink, DAD’S GOT A NEW BABY GIRL! Ron leaned in and kissed his daughter on the head and gave Ginny a big kiss on the cheek. Harry’s heart panged.

He remembered when both of Ron’s girls had been born and how badly he wanted to hold them. Ginny had been there with Hermione both times and James always asked when he could have a little baby sister of his own. Ginny tried to reply cordially, but inside he knew she was thinking she never would be able to give him one.

“He loves those girls,” Ginny said behind Harry, startling him. “I thought he was going to burst when Molly was born. Just look at him.”

Ginny walked right behind Harry and touched the corner of the frame. Harry took another look at his beaming friend then to Ginny.

“Are you sorry we never got to have more children, Gin?” He asked unexpectedly.

Ginny looked down quickly, then right into his eyes.

“Sometimes, but I can’t imagine what it would have been like surviving with more than one, Harry. It was hard enough with just James.”

“Yeah, I know. I just, I wondered about it sometimes. When Ron and Hermione had the girls I daydreamed about having little girls of my own. Perhaps another boy, I don’t know. I just always imagined a bigger family for myself…for us.”

Ginny turned the water off in the sink and dipped her hands in to start cleaning the dirty pots and dishes.

“I forget that you were there for things like that. It’s a little strange, a little creepy even.”

Harry chuckled and walked over to her, picking up a towel to dry the dishes she finished washing.

“I’m sure it is.” He laughed again. He quieted, however, and Ginny knew he wanted to ask her something important. “Gin, I also wanted to spend the day figuring out the future. I mean, I think we both know what we want, but I want to do this right and I know that it’s going to get difficult in a few weeks when all of this goes public. I want to sort out my life with you before anything else.”

The next few weeks passed without event, since the couple found most of their time was around the small house that Ginny had lived in without Harry for so long. They squandered away each day with games and conversation, discussing every topic that could ever be thought about and catching up for far too much lost time.

Ginny explained all about working with George at the shop after Fred died and showed Harry some of the latest Wizard Wheezes, which he enjoyed very much. She told him all about the new shops that had been built and laughed that she just pretended to not know George’s birthday gift to James had been free merchandise from the Hogsmeade store for life as long as he promised to use it all at school. That made Harry laugh as well and he thought that he would have loved that birthday gift himself.

Harry also did his share of jabbering, telling courageous stories of his adventures which left Ginny breathless and enthralled.

“I suppose I can’t blame you for being away, Harry,” she said once after he told her one particularly thrilling story involving a dragon and seventeen armed Death Eaters.

“It certainly wasn’t all like that, Gin,” he added, telling her about the many times he would have to just wander around a tiny room or cave, unable to leave or even let a single drop of light in for fear of being seen. “Most of the time I would just sit and think about you, really. I’d think about what I would have done with my life if all of this had ended with Voldemort, where I would be, where we would be.

Ginny never tired of hearing that he thought about her often when he was away, because she did the same. She thought about Harry every day, every minute of every day, it seemed, and it eased the memory that he was doing the same about her.

One morning, two days before Harry was to start teaching at Hogwarts, the post came with a blaring headline atop the newspaper. WHO WILL FILL LUPIN’S SHOES?

“Harry, I’m sure it’s nothing to be bothered about,” Ginny said as she knitted away at a sweater for James, noticing Harry’s interest in the article.

“No, listen, Gin,” he said. He cleared his throat and began to read aloud.

Only a week ago Hogwarts headmistress Minerva McGonagall announced the retirement of long-time Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Remus Lupin, with much secrecy as to the identity of his replacement. Many parents of students at the school have been wondering what will become of the position, with old superstitions rising and nerves still on edge from events not so long ago hovering over the decision. Headmistress McGonagall has had an outstanding track record when it comes to selecting professors, with Neville Longbottom in Herbology, Katie Bell for Physical Education and Hermione Weasley in Charms, but Defense Against the Dark Arts is no fluffy class. During what our community more commonly refers to as the ‘Harry Potter generation’, a new professor for the subject appeared each year, Lupin being one himself. He resigned at the end of just one term, however, when it was made public that he was actually a werewolf, but since his role in the Great War and aide to the late Mr. Potter himself, he has become a hot commodity for the subject. A favorite of the students and an excellent teacher, it has come as quite the shock to hear that he will be leaving. When contacted for comment, Professor Lupin simply said, “It’s just time for me to leave, but I’ve no doubt the professor to follow me will be much more qualified than I ever was, and the students will surely enjoy his or her classes just as much.” This reporter can’t help but think it strange, though, that he would wait until school was already in session to leave, but even stranger that the identity of the man, or woman, who will replace him is being kept under such tight lock and key. “They are the best we could find anywhere,” is as much as the headmistress would waver. At least I’m not afraid to admit that we all sit on pins and needles for Sunday night when Lupin says farewell and the mystery professor steps into the light.


“Well, they’re in for quite the rally, eh?” Ginny giggled, still concentrated on her knitting.

“I didn’t realize it was such a point of interest for the community, Gin. This is what I was afraid of, though, and the reason I wanted to spend so much time with you now.” He looked eagerly at Ginny and she set down her knitting needles. “I want to try and sort our future out now, because I know this is going to be quite the stir and take a lot of time to calm down once this all comes out."

Ginny looked at Harry and nodded.

“Well, we really haven’t talked so much about it, have we? I guess we’ve just been so busy catching up we really haven’t done much of anything productive.” She chuckled slightly at the comment, thinking about their most recent attempt at building a house of cards, only she had slipped in an exploding deck from George’s shop that had left Harry’s eyebrows singed and frayed. “Perhaps now is a good time?” She asked.

Harry nodded and moved over to the sofa to join her. Ginny lifted her feet for Harry to slide under then set them down comfortably in his lap.

“Well, I suppose the first order of business would be this marriage of ours.” Harry started.

“Order of business? Really just jumping into it, are you?” Ginny said, half giggling and surprised at his approach. She had supposed he would ease into the conversation a little differently, perhaps discussing something a bit more light and simple, but it was obvious he found the topic urgent and was wasting no time sorting it all out.

“Well, am I wrong to believe that you do want to still be married?” Harry urged.

“Of course, Harry,” Ginny said with a playful smile. She seemed to be taking this conversation a little less seriously than him. “But I don’t think our marriage was ever really written in the ministry’s records, if you recall…sort of secret, the whole thing.”

“Yeah, I thought about that,” he said, “but I don’t know how much that is going to matter. I mean, everyone knows about us now and although it was never written in the ministry’s books we have the certificate to prove it.”

Ginny smiled again and thought about Charles Dashing, the official that had married them. Harry had managed to send him a fake letter about some official ministry business near the forest he and Ginny were planning to go to, and then intercepted him, blindfolded him, and took him deep into the woods (the same woods he had proposed to Ginny in) where he explained that the couple wanted to be married and it had to be top secret, hence all the chaos and lies.

Dashing was a short, plump man who was eager to please and even more eager to marry Harry Potter to the mystery woman beside him, thinking about how much money he could get for this story, something Harry knew when he chose him to be the one to come. Harry knew he would be easy to trick and quick to perform the ceremony, and even easier to make forget.

As soon as he signed the wizarding certificate of marriage, Harry took Dashing back to the place they’d met outside the forest, apologized and performed a difficult forgetfulness charm, completely erasing any memory of ever meeting the young wizard. Harry and Ginny apparated back into the woods to a perfect little cabin for their first night as a married couple, the certificate proving their vows tucked neatly away.

“And that will still be valid, right? Even though, well, you were sort of erased from society?”

“If that’s the case, we’ll just have to get married again.” He smiled and Ginny’s eyes lit up although she tried to hide it.

“Yeah, that might be a hassle, though, so something really tiny, of course…” She spoke in a searching tone and Harry could tell just what she really wanted.

“I was actually thinking that it might be nice to have a real ceremony with, well, anyone there besides us and an old ministry official that doesn’t even remember it. You know, friends, family, you in a beautiful white robe…”

“You mean it, Harry?” She asked her eyes glowing.

“Yeah, Gin, I definitely mean it."

Suddenly Ginny withdrew.

“Right, well, if this old certificate doesn’t hold up, we’ll figure all of that out, you know. But we have time because we’re just going to bank on everything working out, I mean, that’s just so much simpler…”

“Or, we could just plan on it anyway. Do it proper since we never really have.”

Ginny waited a minute to survey Harry’s eyes and sort out if he was really genuine. Harry watched back and let the tiniest smile play across his lips.

“I do mean it,” he said, reading her mind.

“Oh, Harry. That would be so wonderful. I mean, I don’t want it to be a hassle, but, that really would be wonderful.”

“Marrying you is never a hassle, no matter what the circumstances are.”

He leaned in a kissed her, a moment she savored before opening her eyes again and sitting back against the arm of the sofa.

“So onto the second order of business?” She asked gently, teasing him.

“Right. I was also thinking about where we’re going to live. I’m assuming we’re going to stay here, right? We could move, but it would be complicated and there would surely be a lot of hassle from crowds. I think if we stayed here, at least for a while, it would be much smarter, much easier on all of us.”

“Of course,” Ginny replied taking extra care to not let on that she had actually been hoping to get into a different house to truly start a new life with Harry and James. “It would definitely be the smartest way to go.”

“Well, that’s settled as well.” Harry took a deep, thoughtful breath. “Lastly, and something that we’ve sort of talked about already, I guess, but, well, I mean…” Harry’s cheeks flushed just a little bit, something Ginny hadn’t seen in years. He almost looked embarrassed.

“Harry? Are you all right? What is it?”

Harry slid his hand through his messy, black hair and immediately Ginny knew he was nervous.

“Well, it’s just that, well, this is really far into the future, probably, I just, I didn’t know if, well…it’s just that we talked about it before, when James was just a little baby, and it’s not that I want it now, or that it’s even really important to me, but I was…well, you know…I just, I was wondering what your thoughts were…”

“Goodness, Harry, on with it.” Ginny sat upright and leaned in.

“We’re talking about our future together, right? I mean, we’re sorting out this relationship of ours and where we want to take it?”

“I thought so, is that not-?”

“No, no, it is. I just, well…” he took in a deep breath, “I was just wondering if you’d ever, well, if you’d ever want a bigger family.”

Ginny let out a sigh of relief and sat back in her old, lazy position. She had definitely thought about that, wondered about it every day that she had been with him these past few weeks. Would there be a little black-haired girl that would take over their house someday? Perhaps more than one? More boys, even? She knew it was something they had wanted when they were younger, but now she didn’t know if he was still up for the challenge. Hesitantly she shrugged and replied.

“It’s something I used to know that I wanted, and it’s not something I would be opposed to now, I just, I love you and I love James, and whatever happens I will be more than content.”

“Does that mean yes or no?” Harry responded too quickly.

“Well, I guess that it could mean yes. I’m just saying that I would be really happy if we had more children, but I would be happy if it was just the three of us as well. Why? What do you want?” She pushed her palms together to hide her shaking fingers. She was nervous about his reply, though she needn’t be.

“Well, I always wanted a big family. I couldn’t ask for anything more than I have right here, but maybe in the years to come there’ll be more to be grateful for? I don’t know, but maybe. I just, I think I would really love that.”

Ginny smiled and took her legs off his lap. She switched her feet with the position her back had been and curled into Harry’s side, wrapping her arms around his. She lifted her lips to meet his for a moment and smiled a warm, gentle smile, whispering, “I would really love that, too.”

---------------------------------------------------------------

James awoke that Sunday morning to a dark, gray sky. He stretched his arms and legs and let out a hefty yawn just as his friend, Terrace Martinez, came swooping in.

“James! Morning! Would you like a chocolate frog?” He said as he shoved a candy box in James’ now upright face. “Had a bit of a lye in, yeah? Tonight’s the night, though, don’t know how you could sleep so well! Everyone else has been up talking, wondering…it’s all the buzz!”

James wiped his eyes wearily.

“What’s tonight? What are you talking about?"

“What am I talking about? Only the biggest mystery this school has seen in years! Professor Lupin’s farewell banquet is tonight!”

Suddenly James’ eyes popped open.

“That’s tonight?” He asked loudly.

“Of course! What have you been doing this past month? Hasn’t it been bothering you?”

“Well, I suppose it has, I just-“

“I bet it’s some famous auror or maybe it’s a celebrity, though we know how that goes, right?"

James nodded, but was distant in thought. This meant…how could he of forgotten? How was that possible? He’d been counting the days, thinking all about how he would react, what he would do or say when he was able to hug his father in front of everyone else for the first time he could remember.

Terrace was energetic and excited. “Everyone has a theory, a lot of rumors, of course. Someone said their uncle’s best friend’s broom-repairman heard it was Johnson O’Shannigan, but Lucy O’Doule said that she heard from a very reliable source that it was a woman, so I don’t know.”

James was baffled by his friend’s jabbering, made even more confused by the candy stuffed in his mouth.

“I didn’t realize this was really the ordeal that it is. I mean, I know we’re all curious about this, but I just didn’t think everyone would get quite so worked up.” James said softly.

“It’s all over the papers; the Daily Prophet has been writing about it every day since they found out that Lupin was resigning. My cousin writes the sports scores and he said it’s all over the office with bets of who it will be. Quite a few galleons in it now.”

James swallowed and blinked a few times while Terrace returned the same blank look.

“Welp, I’ll let you get dressed,” he said suddenly as he stood up quickly. “I’ll be downstairs when you come down and we can talk about this more, everyone else is down there, too. See you in a few minutes!”

James just watched blankly as Terrace nearly skipped out of the room before pulling back his covers and rising out of bed. He rubbed his eyes again and ran his fingers through his thick, messy head of hair. This is really quite the ordeal, isn’t it? He thought as fear began to creep in. What if people didn’t accept him? Surely they would…but just what if they didn’t? What if they got angry? Or what if his dad wasn’t happy and everything went wrong?

James shook his head and slipped on a pair of comfortable jeans and a sweater Ginny had knit him before he left. It was too late to worry about these things, he conceded, what was done was already done and no matter what, the infamous, thought-to-be-dead-but-very-much-alive Harry Potter was going to walk into the Great Hall at 7pm that evening and he could do nothing but hold his breath and wait.
Please Welcome, Professor Potter by mollyweasleyisfantastic
Author's Notes:
It's been forever, but here is the reveal. Harry is finally out as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-------------------------------------------------------

“Harry!” Ginny called from the table as she scrambled to make sure everything her husband would need was in order. “You’re going to be late!”

Harry stared at himself in the tall mirror for a minute longer. For years he’d gone without seeing himself in a mirror…days, weeks on end, and when he did see himself he would never recognize the face staring back. It was always pale, weak, slender and tired. Now, as he surveyed the form before him, clad in his professor robes and clean, but always messy hair, he once again found himself at a loss for the identity of such a man. His eyes weren’t gray anymore, they had color, burst, energy. The weary cheeks he’d known for so long had pink in them, a sign of vibrancy and life

“Harry?” Ginny’s soothing voice cooed into the room.

Harry watched her walk behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders, her face peeking out to the side.

“You look very handsome,” she whispered gently.

Harry turned to face her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in for a strong hug. Ginny fell into the embrace lovingly, knowing that her husband was terrified. If she could be there to support, she would, but they had agreed the best decision would be for her to remain at the house. There would be a lot of questions flying her way and someone needed to be ready for them.

“Ginny…” Harry started, “Everything is going to be all right.”

Ginny smiled at him, her eyes glowing into his own. “It will be, Harry. It will be.”

Harry stepped back and faced the mirror once more as Ginny straightened his tie and moved a stray hair from his eyes. She could feel her hands beginning to shake, but she had committed to herself not to let on that she was just as scared as he was. No sense in them both running about like chickens. She could release it all later, after this night was over. The echoes of the clock broke the silence and Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand. It was time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Inasmuch as we’ve adored Professor Lupin and enjoyed his time with us here at Hogwarts, a time comes for every person that directs towards a new adventure. For our dear friend and teacher, that time is now.” Hermione bobbled eloquently. She looked at Remus with love, her heart bursting that she would no longer get the pleasure of working with someone who had become such a wonderful friend in these years of her life.

The Great Hall was crammed. Every student was squished into their house table, feet tapping, fingers rapping against the wood and floors, anxiously awaiting the main event: the new teacher. James, in particular found himself sweating beneath his dark robes. He tried to hide his concern from everyone else, but it was difficult to notice. While the others seemed curious and excited, nervousness and fear seemed to overwhelm the young Potter’s face.

“As we say good-bye to such an esteemed educator, I ask that we remember the glorious moments, the laughter, the tears, the times we failed, the times we succeeded…and the way that Professor Lupin was with us through it all,” Hermione continued. “It is with great pride that I offer one last word from Remus before we celebrate his many years with us and this new life he’s taking forward.”

Professor McGonagall pressed her ear against the outside of the Great Hall door as Harry watched his shoes, his feet shuffling about inside of them.

“Now, I have to get inside again, Harry,” she reminded him, “it should only be a few moments. When Remus is done speaking, he’ll welcome you in, remember? Of course, well...”

Harry could see light inside of Minerva’s eyes. She was exhilarated. Even youth seem to exude from her smile and the speed of her words, but Harry only replied with a nod. He was trying with all of his might to show no sign of weakness, but it was hard to conceal from friends that knew him as well as she.

“Only a few more minutes,” McGonagall whispered again as she started off towards the side entrance, “it’ll all be over in a few more minutes.”

Harry could hear clapping and cheering erupt and he knew that Remus must be at the front now. His heart was racing so fast he was sure it was just going to seize and stop beating any second.

Ginny…James…Ginny…James…a new life…he kept whispering to himself aloud to calm the whirling sensation about his head. He closed his eyes and heard Ginny humming in his ears. He envisioned James running to them at the train platform, visiting for Christmas holiday and Harry publicly throwing his arms around his son. He pictured Ginny’s rounding belly, their new addition growing steadily inside. He could see their smiles, watch them opening presents beneath a large, green tree, laughter ringing through the building and he inhaled the sweet scent of victory. That’s what victory was to him, after all.

“The magical world is an exquisite place, full of curiosity and imagination, with infinite new spells, charms bobbles waiting to be discovered. Admirably for our community and at the expense of just as many as are amused by it, we find the example of Weasley Wizard’s Wheezes, ingenuity in its purest form. Magic is endless, timeless, and fearless anymore. Remember that, students. Always remember what you have learned and refuse to ever let history repeat itself. Don’t ever stop learning and seeking, discovering and creating. And most importantly, don’t ever stop believing that anything is possible…”

Anything certainly is possible, Harry thought. He half-heartedly listened to the words of Remus’ farewell speech, quickly chuckling at the thought of the prank store mentioned that he had helped start up years earlier. He was proud that it faired so well, especially even after Fred was lost in the war. For a second, his heart seemed to stop racing, but instantaneously returned to its screaming speed once he thought about where he was again.

Harry started looking around him, noticing that the doors to the Great Hall had never seemed so daunting, and the stairs behind him never seemed so far away. The halls were dark, the ceilings tall, and there was a subtle hum coming from the paintings nearby. He knew they had been discussing that shadowy figure standing outside the doors ever since he’d arrived there. Luckily they couldn’t pass information inside yet - - they had always been the best way to spread rumors besides the students themselves.

“And as I close, I leave you one final wisdom…” Harry could hear Remus utter courageously. His heart was ripe with uncontrollable fear now. He was going to be sick. He could feel it creeping up from his stomach into his throat. More cheering erupted and Harry stroked his hair tightly. Remus was done…only seconds away now…

“With that, my precious Hogwarts students,” Remus said, silencing the crowd, “I would like to be the first to welcome a new addition to the Hogwarts family. Shall I introduce you to the one we’ve all been waiting for?”

The tension was thicker than a pool of twisting black tar…Harry writhed in his robes.

“Please help me welcome the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor…”

Remus’ voice was echoing now. Harry was dizzy. He could barely focus. That vomit was almost at his lips now. Will I make it? He wondered. Adrenaline oozed out of him like a swarm of bees and he could barely decipher between excitement and terror.

Silence. Stillness. Every witch and wizard in the Great Hall, old, young, waiting, holding their breath.

“Harry Potter.”

The room went blank.

The wide doors began to open and Harry stopped breathing. He lifted his eyes to the podium as the crack widened, catching first a glance of Remus staring hard back, with the same sort of gentle smile that fixed Harry’s path down the center of the packed tables.

Everything was silent. There weren’t even whispers from the paintings outside anymore.

Every eye was fixed, every jaw was either rolling on the floor or sealed tightly shut. There wasn’t a sound besides the creaking of seats as the children moved their bodies in line with Harry’s. Harry wanted more than anything to look down, or even better, turn and run away. He’d become a rather bold man, but this, this was too much to bear. Give him a Death Eater over this any day.

And then, a gasp.

“Harry?” Hermione escaped from the front of the Hall.

His eyes moved away from Remus and caught hers as she stood from her chair, her hands shaking beneath her robe. He did not respond, however, because another voice caught his attention at his right and he quickly looked over.

“Dad-” James said again, this time rising from his seat as well.

Harry stopped and swallowed. Turning to face James, he kept his eyes on the young image of himself and the two gazed in quiet. There was still hardly a peep from the room.

“James,” Harry started, but the emotion began to choke and before he knew it there was water in his eyes, begging to escape to his cheeks.

Without another word James leapt forward and threw himself into Harry’s arms, soaking in the warmth of his father’s hug and the freedom of the moment. There were no more secrets. Harry breathed in the pure, glorious peace of having James in his arms this way and didn’t want to let go. There was a gentle, tiny tap on his shoulder and Harry lifted his head from James to look. Hermione stood nervously, eyes pulsing with the verge of tears, her lips clenched to try and hold it all back. Harry patted James’ shoulder and turned to face one of his best friends. Their eyes met uncertainly, but Harry tried to smile.

“Is it…” she stumbled, “is it really you?”

Harry nodded softly and replied in a quiet voice, “Yeah…it’s really me.”

With a deep suck of air as she began to sob, Hermione launched her body forward. Harry returned with the tightest hug he’d ever remembered. Giant tear drops landed on his shoulder and Harry could only think to whisper, “Hermione…it’s all right. It’s all right.”

“I don’t understand,” she poured through her tears, “You were supposed to be dead…”

Harry chuckled and pulled back, wiping one of her crocodile tears away with his thumb. “I know, it’s a long story, but you’ll hear all of it, I promise.”

Hermione shook her head and took in a breath, still crying, but trying desperately not to. Realizing they were in the middle of the Great Hall still, with hundreds of wide eyes watching, they both brushed their robes and Harry turned to James again, nodding his head towards the front, signaling that he was going to head towards Professor Lupin. James shook his head in agreement and sat back down amidst his baffled and bewildered peers. To his relief, however, no one asked him questions yet, for all minds and eyes were intent on following the masculine figure of Harry Potter slowly and quietly walking to the front of the Great Hall.

Hermione returned to her seat at the teacher’s table, shaking and cautious, as Harry met Remus at the front. “Harry,” Remus said, grabbing his beloved friend with a loud slap on the back and rather large hug. Harry returned the greeting and then took his place center stage.

Silence.

Absolute, dark, eerie silence.

Harry coughed and cleared his throat, his heart still pounding as he tried to meet the eyes of at least a few students throughout the room. He swallowed, looked at his feet before starting, and then, with confidence, began,

“Hello, Hogwarts students. I’m Harry Potter.”

A few murmurs seem to pick up around the room, but Harry wasn’t sure if it was just the sound of ringing in his ears from the steady, almost unbearable race of his heart.

“I…I suppose you’re all a bit baffled, and, rightly so, but in due time it will all be clear. It has been an honor to serve the magical community, but I would have never been able to do it if it wasn’t for people like former Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Headmistress McGonagall, Professor Weasley, Professor Longbottom and the wonderful Hagrid. My time here at Hogwarts was when I learned, grew, experienced, loved, feared and worked more than I ever have any other time. It was a precious time of discovering who I was and if it wasn’t for many of the spectacular people I met here, I would have never survived. I can only hope to be the same to many of you.”

A stillness continued to fill the room for a practically unbearable length of time. Harry cleared his throat again, and rubbed his palms onto his trousers beneath his robes. What were they all thinking?

“Um…I look forward to teaching you everything I know, or, at least as much as will be allowed,” he quickly corrected at the stern glance of the headmistress. “I suppose I’ll see you in class…Thank you.”

He blinked. He exhaled.

Then, instantly, and almost simultaneously, the Great Hall’s desperate quiet erupted into a roar of screaming, cheers and applause. The confusion and wonder filled every space of the room, but the emotion of the return of the greatest wizard to ever live found more prowess. Students whistled and teachers clapped like they had twelve sets of hands. Even Filch, the caretaker, roared in proclamation. Nearly every person in the room was on their feet in ovation and Harry lowered his shoulders in absolute relief.

They liked him. They really liked him.

After nearly 15 minutes of solid praise, McGonagall stood to her feet from her place at the Teacher’s Table, calling the room back to order. It was nearly impossible to calm all the whispering from around the room, but as she motioned for Harry to take his place amongst the other professors, an air of something light and flowery filled the space and excitement became electric in the best possible way.

Harry was home. He was out. He was ready to start his life in the public eye once more. There would be questions to answer, he knew this much, and he also knew that he would probably be answering them until he reached his last and oldest days. He was set between Remus and Hermione and clasped his hand around the fragile shaking fingers that Hermione had set on it, while Remus patted him on the shoulder once more. With friends like these at his side, along with the beautiful woman waiting for him back at home and his wonderful, and suddenly incredibly more popular than ever before, son eyeing him from the Gryffindor table, he didn’t mind at all.
Telling Stories and Teaching by mollyweasleyisfantastic
“The Dark Arts are a powerful brand of magic that we should never fear,” Harry began confidently during his first class. “There are always those who will try to manipulate something good into something evil, but that is all it is: a counterfeit of something genuine and good.”

Harry could hear scribbling of quills all over the room and it made him smile. He remembered trying to take important notes when Remus had been his teacher and now, here he was, in front of the same classroom with a brand new crop of eager students, and they were taking notes of everything HE was saying.

A small hand shot up from the left of the room. “You mean, like what happened when you were a student?”

Harry paused before answering, not because he was uncertain, but because he had been bracing himself for this since he first accepted his position as Dark Arts professor. He had made up his mind that he would never keep his students in the dark about the truth of dark magic, however, there were certainly some things that were better left to ignorance, certain spells and dark tricks that no one should ever have to experience. He knew that there would be a thousand questions to answer, and lots of curiosities about how he spent his time and the parts he played in the final battles against evil. He was trepidatious, but excited all at the same time.

“Yes, Hannah, like when I was a student.” Eyes began to go wild in the room and there wasn’t a single ear closed. “Although, don’t kid yourself, there will always be dark wizards. Unfortunately there is something magnetic about power and darkness that some witches and wizards just can’t get away from.”

“Does that mean there are more…um…You-Know-Whos out there?” Another quiet voice chimed in and Harry surveyed the intense and frightened faces before him.

“It very well could be,” Harry said calmly and whispers exploded amongst the students, “BUT, Voldemort was a special breed of wizard that could hardly even be called human. He was made up entirely of hate and bitterness, with an unbelievable thirst for power and ability to strike uncontrollable fear in others that we would be unlikely to see again anytime soon.”

“But didn’t his Death Eaters try to take his place after his death?” Yet another person called out.

“Yes, it’s true, they did, and they put up a good fight, which you’re starting to understand is why I had to fake my own death in order to try and finish them off. However, Voldemort, like I said, was an entirely unique breed of wizard that had the power to brainwash, manipulate and control his followers unlike any other power we’ve ever seen. Though they tried, none of his Death Eaters had powers like their master, nor the courage to continue quite like he did. They hid in dark corners and stabbed each other in the back, unwilling to take the blame for any of their actions.

Now almost every hand in the room flew into the air and frequent “oohs!” and “oh! Oh!s” resounded from their lips. Harry smiled again. “Yes, um…Marco.”

“Do you think…um…You-Know-Who…was the most powerful wizard to ever live? Why was it so hard to defeat him?”

Harry sighed at the second student stumbling to say Voldemort’s name. Surely after this long the magical community wasn’t still afraid of it.

“First of all class, like I’ve said, we shouldn’t be so afraid of dark magic because we have power over it. It takes strength and courage to conquer, but it absolutely can be done. To start, from this moment forward we will no longer refer to Voldemort as You-Know-Who or any other sort of fearful nickname. He has a proper name like any one of us, which was Tom Riddle. You will either call him such, or Voldemort, which is what he referred to himself as for most of his life. And no, I don’t think he was the most powerful wizard to ever live; he was defeated after all, wasn’t he? He was powerful because of his evil ways, but not undefeatable.”

“Since you defeated him does that make you the most powerful wizard to ever live?”

Harry chuckled. “While a flattering thought, I didn’t defeat him on my own. If it hadn’t been for the help of incredible wizards like the Weasley family, including Professor Weasley, Headmistress McGonagall and Professor Lupin, I wouldn’t have survived. It’s priceless to have good friends, students, and I suggest you remember that. Friends are the most valued treasure I will ever claim.”

“Professor Potter?” A small first year chimed with a drifty, familiar voice.

“What’s your name again, I’m sorry, I seemed to of misplaced it,” Harry said as politely as he could.

“Marianne Longbottom.”

“Ah, yes,” Harry said with a smile. He knew Luna and Neville had gotten married, but forgot that they had children. Neville had started working at Hogwarts right after school and Harry rarely ever saw him. Their daughter was only a few months younger than James and his son had mentioned her before. “What was your question?”

“My grandfather said that there are still Death Eaters that live up in Borgmott’s Mountain and they have taken on the forms of the seven-toed sneekplang, just waiting to attack again.”

Harry chuckled out loud and quickly covered it with a cough. He remembered Luna’s crazy theories and had almost forgotten about Marianne’s grandfather that fostered most of them. He was going to really love having her in his class.

“Well, that’s an interesting theory, Marianne, but I can assure you, there are no Death Eaters anymore. There could very well be groups that admire Voldemort, but no one with the courage to actually attempt anything he ever did. As far as the real thing, real Death Eaters, or even Voldemort himself since I’m sure that rumor is still flying around, they are gone. I promise.”

Hands were flying up all over the classroom and Harry found himself answering questions quickly to try and make it through each one.

“Where did you stay when you were supposed to be dead?” Another small student asked.

“Well, that changed a lot,” Harry responded. “Sometimes in old cabins and houses, and sometimes in caves along the sea or in the mountains. There were a few rather cold, scary places, I have to say…”

“You got scared?” A tall, dark haired boy interrupted.

“Yes, absolutely. There were many times that I was very scared…” Harry said, his voice softening. “You know, it’s all right to be afraid at times, we just have to understand what it is that we are afraid of and harness that to overcome. Voldemort thrived on terrifying everyone else into worshipping him. I remember being afraid, but not really of him.”

“What were you afraid of, then?” The tall boy asked again.

“Well,” Harry sighed thoughtfully, “I suppose more than anything, I was afraid that I would never get to see James or Ginny again.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ginny!” Harry screamed as he raced in a panic towards the flashing lights. It was like a fireworks display amidst the black sky and his heart dropped as he realized there were many more green flashes than red. He could hear things crashing and breaking, and jumbled shouts in all sorts of different voices, none of which he could make out.

It was confusing to follow the path to the Burrow, but Harry had done it enough times to barely even think about the turns and corners he was making. His feet were speeding faster than they’d ever run before, yet didn’t seem to be going nearly fast enough. All he could think about was getting to the Burrow and to Ginny and James as he spun out of the darkness and into the light shed by the tall, creaking house he’d come to love as a student at Hogwarts.

The final battle was seemingly over, Voldemort had just been conquered, but his followers refused to concede. No one had ever underestimated how strong they were, however, it did seem that the Order expected them to surrender with the fall of their leader. Instead, the cause of evil and the pursuit of power had enveloped their souls deeper than anticipated and there was no turning away. They were Death Eaters until the end of their lives. There was no other option.

Harry and the rest of the Order had been celebrating the few moments of joy that surrounded the last spell Harry cast against the Dark Lord when Fred slapped Harry on the back in congratulations.

“Now you can raise that son in a world without Voldemort, something no one has yet been able to do, eh? Now let’s get back to the Burrow so you can give Ginny a great, big, passionate...high five.”

“He’s gonna give her more than that,” one of the younger, newer order members shouted out. “How do you think that little tike of theirs came into being?!”

Harry barely had time to blush and tell him to shove off when there was suddenly a blasting howl and burst of light and Bellatrix LeStrange exploded by, calling towards a mass of other hidden Death Eaters.

“Ginny Weasley, eh, Potter?” She called in a dark, scratchy voice. “And a child? How could we have missed that? Thanks for the tip!”

And with a malicious grin and massive pop, multiple Death Eaters disapparated into the darkness, heading straight for the Burrow.

“Dammit!” Harry screamed, shooting a furious glare towards the ignorant wizard that had given away the location of all the Order members that had stayed behind. “To the Burrow! Now!” He yelled, apparating immediately.

The Burrow had been locked from the outside, making it impossible to apparate within 2 miles and the longest run Harry would ever take. His lungs weren’t even contracting and sweat kept dripping into his eyes as he pounded the ground towards the blasting lights and screams. Oh Merlin, just let them be all right, he thought, Please! Don’t let it be too late!

“Expelliarmus!” Harry screamed at the back of one Death Eater aiming towards the front door of the Burrow.

As the raid of new Order members emerged onto the scene, the surroundings became ever more chaotic. More Death Eaters than they remembered were storming the Burrow as those Order members who had stayed back from the battle with Voldemort were scurrying to return fire.

Harry continued shooting defense spells as he headed, tunnel-vision, into the Burrow. Death Eaters against Order members in wand to wand combat, like a war zone from a muggle movie Harry had watched, only so much worse because this was no movie, it was real. There didn’t seem to be any safe spot as Harry managed his way inside the lopsided building and he found himself shooting against his enemies without even consciously casting the spells “ they almost seemed to cast themselves.

“Ginny!” He called passionately as he threw chairs aside and ducked incoming spells. “Reterius Endium!” He called again, sending a Death Eater through the dining room table. Deciding she wasn’t on the bottom floor, Harry headed upwards.

“Ginny! Where are you?!” Harry was frantic and throwing doors open left and right. It didn’t seem like any Death Eaters had made their up way to the upper levels yet, seemingly concentrating on the massive crowd outside instead. The less he found of Ginny, the more he panicked about James, wondering where a toddler would be hiding if not with Ginny, and he was certain she was fighting somewhere. When he reached Ginny’s old room he was dismayed to find it untouched and empty and was just about to leave when he heard a familiar scream outside.

He ran towards the window just in time to see Molly Weasley running towards a pack of Death Eaters, shooting every spell she could think of in defense. Harry saw a flash of red behind her at the door and noticed Ginny’s long red locks swish out of sight.

“Ginny!” He called again as he barreled out the room and nearly flew downstairs. Halfway down the old, beaten stairway there was a deafening crash as if a hundred glass mirrors had shattered at once and Harry thought of Ginny near the window. No, no, no, he mumbled to himself, throwing his body down the stairs even faster.

It was too late. By the time he reached the front room, Arthur Weasley was already lying in a broken heap outside the Burrow, the remnants of the window he’d been thrown through hanging dismally around his body, covered in blood. Molly let out a horrifying scream and raced towards her husband when Harry heard “Avada Kedavra!” and she was blasted with a bolt of green light in the back.

Harry was stunned. Molly and Arthur Weasley were both dead. The only two people he’d ever known and loved as parents were both lying, helplessly defeated and dead before his eyes. Immediately he raised his wand to blast the guilty party when he heard his wife bellow in a voice he’d only heard her use one other time.

“You will die!” She cried from the depth of her gut and Harry’s heart filled with terror as she stormed out from the corner of the house and into the fireline.

“No!” He tried to yell towards her, but there was too much sound scraping every inch around them for his voice to be recognized.

Harry’s legs felt heavy as he bolted towards her, but he couldn’t seem to pick them up to reach her in time. From the corner of his eye he noticed yet another looming, cloaked figure emerge from the shadows, their wand aiming straight towards Ginny. He tried to shout a countercurse, but the blazing green light smashed her straight in her side, right into her lungs and she launched backwards to the ground. “Crucio!” the Death Eater called again and Ginny began to convulse and writhe, foam nearly spilling from her lips.

Remus and Fred dove into action blasting the Death Eater away while many others started retreating from the battle. Harry swept Ginny up in his arms as the Order drove their enemies away from the Burrow and ran back towards the inside of the house. He found a couch that had not yet been overturned and laid her down, whispering her name, praying she would be all right.

“Ginny, are you okay? Where’s James? Who has James?” he tried to ask as calmly as possible, however he was sure his voice was shaking all over the place.

Her eyes began to blink open slowly and Harry’s hands clapped hard to her face. “Gin, baby, talk to me. Are you all right? Oh, talk to me, Gin, come back to me. I need to find James, where’s James?”

Ginny seemed to fly in and out of any state of awareness for three or four minutes before Harry saw her eyes open and connect with his.

“Harry?” She said quietly, straining her voice to move.

“Gin, where’s James?”

Ginny was pale and cold, her body fragile and shaking. Leaning in closer, Harry touched her chest and noticed something wet…blood. What curse had they hit her with?! Harry ripped back her blouse, exposing a thick, deep, glowing cut; she was losing blood fast. He didn’t recognize this curse, it wasn’t quite like any other cutting curses he’d seen yet and tried desperately to mutter any counter he could think of. Nothing was working. Thinking fast, he searched the room for something to wrap tightly around her, something to apply pressure and slow the bleeding.

The blouse Ginny was wearing was a long, button-down and Harry didn’t hesitate to remove it completely. Ripping the back to lengthen the fabric, he gently, but quickly, inched it around Ginny’s wounds and tied it firmly. He noticed a blanket on the floor and threw it over her, then kissed her drooping hand just as her eyes blinked open once more.

“James!” She yelped as she tried to shoot upwards, but her stomach seized and she launched back flat onto the pillows of the couch.

“Gin,” Harry tried once more, “Where is he? Where is James?”

Ginny looked at Harry in terror and tried to speak, but the mere movement of her lips caused too much pain and he only swallowed. She tried again, looked at Harry in such desperate fear and physical pain, then blacked out once more. Her body fell limp in Harry’s arms and he lowered his head in agony as George ran in with the badly wounded and groaning body of his friend, Derian.

“It’s awful out there!” He exclaimed as he carefully set Derian down and headed back towards the door. “The rest of us have been chasing them out, but they seem endless. They’re here and then they’re gone…I thought we were starting to understand them…but this…I didn’t…they…they got mum and dad…they got…”

Harry looked frantically at George. “I have to find James,” he said desperately to himself. “George, we have to stop this and regroup or they’re going to get everyone. It’s madness like this because they’re like a bunch of chickens that have just had their heads whacked. They don’t know what to do and they’re fighting on pure anger, the worst sort. They were waiting for us to slip and say where home was, and like an idiot that fool did (as he pointed to Derian). They found out about Ginny and the Burrow and look where we are now!” He pointed at Ginny’s body and stood to his feet. “We have to get rid of those filthy Death Eaters and get back to a secure location now. You know where. Take her there?”

George’s eyes were strained with hurt and frustration and he didn’t react.

“Use the coin to call for Ashland, he’ll know better how to heal these wounds than we would and go…now.”

George seemed torn, itching to get back to the heat of action and help the Order, but also understood the importance of getting those left, and especially those injured and unable to fight, back to a place they couldn’t be hurt any more. He’d already lost his parents and didn’t want to see his sister die as well. He nodded his head and approached his unconscious sibling, swept her in his arms and disapparated as Harry headed out.

Harry stopped the second he reached the grass, his heart beat paused at the bodies lying before him. Rage began to boil even hotter than before and he didn’t even know if there was time to grieve. Molly and Arthur…beloved Weasleys…he lifted his head toward the sky and thought dearly about those who had been killed for the war’s sake. His fingers rolled themselves into tightly wound fists and Harry let out a deep, bitter groan. Then he thought of his beautiful wife, who he might never see alive again if they couldn’t help her, and his precious son who was missing, completely helpless and probably terrified.

Where would she take him? Where would he go? What happened? Harry thought, his mind fighting for any solutions. He turned back towards the house and realized he’d never gone farther than Ginny’s room when he ran back outside…could James be higher? Ginny’s room had looked untouched…where did she sleep the night before?

Before he could tell himself to, Harry was running back into the house and up the winding stairs. Every room door was thrown open and every corner searched as he started calling for his son.

“James? James, are you here? Where are you?” He kept asking, trying to sound as approachable and tender as possible. “James, it’s daddy, where are you?”

With each empty room he moved from he became more and more discouraged until at last he was at the very top, Ron’s old room, and he slowly pushed the door open.

“James?” He said softly as the door creaked wide. “James, are you in here, it’s daddy. Lumos.”

The tip of his wand lit up and the room brightened enough to see every corner of the tiny space. He walked around slowly, looking behind the door and the closet. Almost giving up again there was a tiny squeak and Harry’s eyes darted to Ron’s bed. His heart pounding, his wand at the ready, he crept over and inched his fingers towards the bright orange blanket. Letting them grip tightly and counting down in his head, he sucked up one thick breath, threw back the covers and ducked under the bed, his wand pointed sharply forward.

“James!” He cried as the tiny, terrified eyes of his small son widened and let out a petrified scream.

Harry flew his arms out and pulled James from under the bed and deep into his chest. James began to cry and wrapped his tiny arms around his father, Harry rocking him and brushing his head.

“It’s okay, I’m here, James. Daddy’s here. It’s okay,” he whispered repeatedly, kissing and comforting his son. Tears began to drop from his own eyes as the relief that James was all right washed over him in an overwhelming flush. “It’s going to be okay…it’s okay…I’m here, I’m here. I’m here.”

James seemed to sob for hours, but it was only a few minutes that Harry lingered. Picking up James and holding him as closely to his chest as he could, Harry started to move downstairs again, quietly, cautiously, and now with new vengeance: to protect the boy in his arms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Every student was silent, enthralled in the story. Harry swallowed as the emotions of that fateful night reverberated in his memory. As brilliantly as he might ever tell that story, the depth, the fear, the passion and the overwhelming reality that existed in his heart would never quite be understood by anyone else.

“Did Ginny live?” A frightened young Ravenclaw whimpered out.

“Yes,” Harry said thoughtfully, shaking himself back into the moment. “Allanor Ashland was a very talented wizard when it came to healing spells and incantations and George did exactly as I asked, getting him to Ginny almost instantly as they arrived to Order base. It only took her a couple days to recover, but she would never see me again…until last month, that is.”

“What happened with James?” Another asked.

“When we got back to the front room of the Burrow where George had laid Derian, I was relieved to find a few Order members returning, however, with them they carried more wounded and…more dead. I refused to leave anyone behind in the open like that and ordered that every person, dead or alive, be taken back to base. We could properly bury them later, but we had to hurry. Remus’ wife, Nymphadora told me that Remus and Ron were still out fighting and I knew I had to join them. I handed James to her, and asked that she take care of him until I could get back. She apparated away and I headed out to find what was left of the Order.”

“Was there any more fighting? Where there still more Death Eaters?” The students were so eager to know, Harry thought, though his next class would have to aim that hunger towards the class subject matter more.

“I certainly thought the worst was over, and nearly shot Professor Lupin when we stepped into each other. However, a dark shadow emerged, a bloody and staggering Ron Weasley, limping forward (The students let out a large ‘ooo’ with the mention of such a famous name). I barely had time to hear him mention Hermione’s name, and tell me that I was going to be an uncle, which only made me more afraid for his life, when I was blasted by Bellatrix Lestrange. I was knocked unconscious and awoke later, captive.”

Suddenly the bell rang and no one moved, though a loud groan roared from the students.

“The rest you’ll have to hear another time, but read chapter four in your textbooks and write one page about the one defense spell you want to learn most and why for next class.” Harry said, ushering the group out of the sunlit room. “And have a good weekend!”

He walked to his desk, grabbed up his bag and followed the trail of talkative first years out the door. His first week as Professor Potter had finally ended and he was proud to say it had gone well, though, not much teaching had really gone on. There was endless curiosity about his story and with good reason, since so much of it was a complete mystery. Harry headed off through the courtyard when he noticed James talking to a very pretty Hufflepuff fourth year. On his way to nonchalantly walk around and scope out their conversation, he was cut off by a staunch headmistress calling his name.

“If you would follow me, Professor, I would like a word with you.” She said coolly.

What could I possibly of done? Harry thought to himself. Even after all these years, McGonagall still had that dominating power over him that always made him think he was in trouble when she said his name.

“How are you today?” Harry asked with a smile.

“I’m fine, Harry, thank you for asking. I was actually about to ask the same question to you,” the Headmistress chatted as the two walked through the bright sun.

“Oh, I’m wonderful, thank you,” Harry replied, trying desperately to be upbeat and not think about detention or any other sort of punishment he’d been used to at Hogwarts. “I’m glad to have the first week over; it was good.”

“Was it? I’m glad to hear that. I must say I’ve heard wondrous tales flying about the castle coming out of your classroom, Harry. Every student here seems to be undeniably enthralled in what you have to say.” McGonagall stopped walking and turned to face Harry with an uncharacteristically coy smirk on her face. “Though, if you could only actually teach them a bit more we might get somewhere.”

Harry smiled back and nodded. “Agreed.”

“Well, then, I’m off, but I will see you again soon, I’m sure. Plans for the weekend? Sticking around or heading out?”

“Heading out,” Harry replied. “I’m sure Ginny’s got her hands full back at home and I think I’ll go see what sort of mess I’ve made outside these walls.”

McGonagall laughed out loud and began to walk away, shouting, “Good luck with that!” as she left.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Assessing the Damage by mollyweasleyisfantastic
Author's Notes:
Just one more chapter! JK finished, so it's about time I did, too!
“Look, I’ve told you before that there will be an official statement released soon, but there is nothing more I can-hello? Well! I never…” Ginny huffed as the other line of the messenger envelope tore itself apart in a bitter farewell. For hours without ceasing there had been every sort of envelope, owl, reporter and bribe she could imagine, begging to know the details of Harry’s return.

The kitchen table was overflowing with food items, all sorts of favorites of Harry that she was fairly certain were almost all full of truth serums and confounding charms in hopes Harry would feel privy to tell his stories now rather than later. The countertops were full of letters, fans in one pile, reporters in the other. There was a collection of stranger gifts in the sitting room; a lampshade, a bust of Harry that was rather accurate and a complete bronze statue of him that was rather not. There were plaques and small, moving trophies; cheap watches and particularly nice ones. Drinks, paintings, brooms (which was the only token she thought Harry might enjoy) and the lot invaded their home as Ginny bustled through the growing mess. She looked at the clock on the wall just at it chimed ten o’clock and wondered what was keeping Harry away so long.

Suddenly a great smash at the front door startled her and Ginny jumped backwards into the countertop, tossing a stack of red envelopes to the floor. “Reporters!” she said loudly as she gathered herself and began storming towards the door. “Will they never leave this alone?!” She took a quick glance out the peephole to see a mess of a man on the front steps as if he had fallen to the ground and she threw the door wide.

“I’ve told all of your friends that we’ll release an official statement soon and to leave it alone until then!” She demanded when a pair of bright green eyes looked up through their cloak cover and Ginny sighed. “Harry?”

“They’ve been over all day, I take it?” He replied meekly.

Ginny smiled, sighed and reached down to help Harry off the ground.

“Sorry, but yeah. I can’t heed them off, no matter how hard I try! What were you doing down there, anyway?” She asked, interrupting herself, as she noticed Harry wobbling slightly as he walked through the front door. He dusted down his sides and laughed.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve tried that “ apparating in mid-flight. Guess I’m not as sharp as I once was.” He simply said. Ginny looked down and noticed his old broom, smashed in two and a large crack in the front door. Harry really had slammed it good.

“Well, no need to worry about that, there’s a whole stack in the corner,” Ginny pointed as they passed and headed towards the kitchen. Harry found the nearest chair and plopped down while Ginny began to pour him a cup of tea.

“Even brooms?” Harry added nonchalantly from the sitting room, noting the stacks of packages all over the house. The large bust of himself made him chuckle and the lampshade made him nervous. He decided he would burn it later.

“I started opening a few letters, sorting them for you, but I could only get through a very small stack,” Ginny said as she entered the sitting room, carrying a tray of warm tea. “The door was ringing one after another and I didn’t have much chance to really think.”

Harry smiled as she set the tray down next to him and sat down. She pushed a few stray hairs out of her face and shoved them behind her ear with a swallowing sigh. She sunk deep into her chair and looked over at the massive piles of envelopes waiting to be opened.

“Don’t worry too much about it, Gin,” Harry said. “There’s plenty of time to sort through all of them. Most of it is junk, of course, but we’ll get rid of it all. These piles won’t last forever.”

He took a quiet sip of tea and leaned back in his own chair. The two stayed in silence for nearly fifteen minutes, just enjoying the peace of the moment, the calm of the room. Amidst even the most chaotic of messes, sitting with each other was always the most serene place either could hope to find themselves.

Harry finally leaned forward and set his cup down. He reached off to his right and picked up a small, cream envelope, addressed with a scribbled quill. On the back there was no official seal and Harry pulled it open, catching one of the folded pieces of paper as it fell from within the first. He noticed a crayon drawing of himself, triumphant, his cloak flowing behind him like a muggle superhero, a giant squiggley smile across his cartoon face. The second piece of paper had only a few sentences written across it, but Harry’s heart couldn’t have smiled any wider:

Dear Mr. Potter,

Thank you for saving the world. I am very happy that you did not die and that
you killed Lord Voldemort. Someday I hope to be just like you. Or my dad. But mostly like you.

Sincerely, Barry Bartholomew


He handed the letter to Ginny and let her soak in the carefully drawn and delightfully youthful picture of Harry before speaking.

“You know, when I forget the good and just remember the bad, it’s moments like this “ notes like that “ that remind me. They remind me of just how many people this affected. How many lives were really changed…in this case, a life that wasn’t even born yet; a life that might never have been born.”

“Of course, Harry,” Ginny said softly, “I know I’ve told this a million times, but you saved the world…literally. Nothing would be the way it is today without you. Nothing would matter without the sacrifices you made.”

Ginny lifted herself up out of her chair and stepped onto Harry’s lap. She reached across him, stretched her hand down to the same pile he’d picked the last letter from, and brought back in front of them a larger, black, crisp envelope. There was a mustard yellow seal, The Royal House of Markindorv embedded in with strong embossed letters, and Ginny carefully opened it.

Mr. Harry Potter,

My name is Dietrich Markindorv and I graduated from Durmstrang many years ago. My son, though a wonderful wizard, found the pull of dark powers too strong to resist and joined Voldemort’s cause at the beginning of the second war. I tried to convince him otherwise, tried to make him understand that there is something better, a path more wisely chosen. I had survived the first war and knew how this one might end.

He spent three months with the Death Eaters until his best friend was killed on the Dark Lord’s orders, for no other reason but mistakenly calling another by the wrong name. My son, Bevcrikof, came home only a week following…after watching you in battle with the rest of his fellowship. He was amazed: You didn’t kill. You stunned, you confused, you fought. You had passion, unlike the drones he was partner to. The only passion they had came from worshiping one man. One man who could care less for any of his followers. There was no love or loyalty.

Bevcrikof was killed shortly after he escaped. I tried to hide him, but I think we both knew that it was a hopeless cause. The Death Eaters did not take lightly to treachery, as you know better than anyone, I’m sure. The evening before he was murdered, he asked me one favor:
If I ever had the chance to talk to Harry Potter, to tell him that all was not lost, nor would it ever be as long as he continued to fight the way he had been. There is something ultimately powerful when someone battles out of love rather than greed…something winning and sincere. He asked that I thank you for giving up your life for the cause and to never stop. Everyone is ultimately on your side.

Mr. Potter, because of you I had a last moment with my son; I was able to say good-bye and continue on with the peace that he was more a hero than a traitor in any road. I get to wake up every morning and remember that because of one man, because of you, I am free, my heart is at rest, and the world will never face a darker day again. Thank you for changing my son, for showing him love, whether you knew it was happening or not.

Sincerely,
Dietrich Markindorv


Ginny’s head had fallen onto Harry’s chest while she finished reading the letter aloud. Harry wrapped his arms around her and she curled more comfortably onto his lap.

“Quite a different tone, I suppose,” he said quietly. Harry wasn’t exactly sure what to make of the note with its heavy words and message. He tried to remember the name, what battle it had been or if he’d been in contact with the young man, but he couldn’t recall.

“I think that’s enough for tonight,” Ginny said. “Let’s go to bed and worry about the rest tomorrow.”

She stood up and reached back for his hand, causing him to follow her lead. Harry gazed around the room as they passed each new pile of gadgets, gizmos, bribes and letters, and onto the bedroom. They were tired, overwhelmed with the previous week. Coming back to life was an exhausting business.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=38085