Maia in the Mirror: Vol. 1 by MaiaMadness
Summary: When Maia's father dies, she finds herself believing that nothing is real anymore. So those letters that have been arriving must be a hoax, right? But Maia soon finds herself thrown into a new reality of wands and spells and potions, new friends, new enemies, a new life. She arrives at Hogwarts, only to find that the same prejudice people exist here too, even in her own house. Meanwhile, even though Voldemort was finally vanquished two years ago, there are still Death Eaters running loose, trying to start anew without their Master.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11628 Read: 14431 Published: 05/15/06 Updated: 01/03/07

1. Chapter One: An Unfortunate Event by MaiaMadness

2. Chapter Two: The Pencil-Eater-Lady by MaiaMadness

3. Chapter Three: A Fateful Decision by MaiaMadness

4. Chapter Four, Meeting Friends by MaiaMadness

5. Chapter Five: Feasts and Hats by MaiaMadness

6. Chapter Six: Professor Tonks by MaiaMadness

Chapter One: An Unfortunate Event by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
This story is about an original character, and will feature few appearances of the main characters from the Harry Potter books. I've been working through the character of Maia diligently for the past few weeks, trying to tweak her just right. She is loosely based on me, and her past is in many ways mine. I hope you will enjoy her story. It contains themes like death and some depression, but nothing a 1st year couldn't deal with! :)

Thanks to my wonderful beta, Willowed Sky, for helping me out with this project!
CHAPTER ONE

An Unfortunate Event


She had known, the moment the phone had rung the previous evening. She had known something was wrong. And now, Grammum was standing there looking nervous sad. Maia was still in her bed.

“Something very sad has happened,” said Grammum quietly.

Her stomach bubbled with the discomfort of fear. Her mind immediately flitted to her grandfather, who was at a gymnastics meet in Sweden.

Grammum took a deep breath. “Your father died last night,” she said. “I’m sorry…”

One of the flowerpots in the window spontaneously fell to the floor and smashed into a million pieces. It was filled with those ugly pink flowers that looked like they were made of plastic. Maia had never liked those flowers. Grammum released a small cry of surprise, but made no move to pick it up.

“He died quickly, so there was hardly any pain,” said Grammum.

Maia stared at nothing. Some part of her thought that maybe, if she didn’t think about it, perhaps it would mean it was not true. But her grandmother looked sadly at her; it was clear that she was uncertain of how to comfort her.

A few minutes later “ or it could have been hours, for all Maia knew, because time suddenly had very little meaning “ her aunt Inge came into the room. Inge and her family lived in the same house Grammum and Granddad, upstairs. She rushed to Maia’s bed and embraced her and wept in her hair.

“Poor dear, this must be so hard for you!” she whispered. “We all loved your father very much, you know…” She trailed off and pulled back, holding Maia at arm’s length, looking at her with a sad, teary gaze. But Maia’s response was cold.

Why was she crying? What reason did she have to weep? It wasn’t her father who had died. What right did she have to cry when Maia herself couldn’t? Maia wasn’t sad; she was angry.

“Don’t touch me,” she said icily. Inge’s eyes widened and she let go suddenly, as if she had been burned. Grammum was over by the window, fussing with the broken flowerpot.

“Please get out,” said Maia quietly, not looking at either of them. “Leave me alone.”

Grammum stood up quickly. “But Maia, dear, don’t talk like “” But her daughter laid a hand on her shoulder carefully to silence her.

“Let’s leave her alone, mum,” she said softly. “She needs to process this by herself.”

When they had left, Maia got out of her bed. She was a thin, remarkably long-limbed eleven-year-old, with long blonde hair and eyes of a curious green-blue colour. She got dressed slowly, put on her glasses and stuffed a CD in her Discman. The CD spun, halted, spun some more, then a spark shot out of the battery case, burning her finger, and the player turned itself off. She pressed play again, but nothing happened. She had put new batteries in the day before. She took out the CD before throwing the Discman across the room.

At around eleven the phone rang, and Grandmum came into the room and told her it was her mother, Maisi.

“Hello, sweetheart,” said the voice at the other end of the line when she put it to her ear. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m alright,” said Maia, all emotion drained from her voice. “Mum, my Discman broke. We have to get me a new one.”

“Alright,” said her mother quietly. “We’ll do that when you get home, alright?"

There was a short silence.

“We’ve fixed plane tickets for you to come home on Friday,” continued her mother. “It was the earliest we could get… the funeral’s on Saturday."

Maia made an acknowledging sound. There was another short silence as Maia stared out the window.

“Could you put your grandmother on?” asked her mother after a little while. Maia called Grandmum into the room, gave her the phone, and went out into the living room to watch TV.

It was the shortest summer of her life.

She left on Friday morning, and took a plane from Kokkola. She landed in Helsinki where a Finnish stewardess with poor English walked her across the airport to the plane to London Heathrow. The plane landed at Heathrow at five o’clock and Maia was picked up by her mother and her boyfriend.

The next couple of days, Maia felt like she was in a dark cloud. She found later that she remembered very little of the wake and funeral for her father. Her classmates’ parents had got together and sent her flowers of condolence. They were white roses, but Maia didn’t want them. Her classmates, who had teased her and been mean to her throughout her school years, had absolutely no business sending her flowers. She was glad she would be starting secondary school that autumn. She wouldn’t lose all of them, but some were going to other secondary schools, and some would go to public schools. It would be nice to start afresh, she thought. Or as fresh as she could, in any case.

She was in her room, thinking about just that, the day after the funeral, when her mother came into her room with a bunch of letters.

“A letter arrived for you the day before you came home,” she said. “I haven’t checked the mail since then, though. It appears you’ve gotten about five more of these…” She put the letters down on Maia’s desk. Maia picked one up. The envelope was made of heavy parchment. It was addressed to her, with the street and flat number on it, and it was sealed with red wax. She opened it, and read out loud:


HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall
(Order of Merlin 2nd Class, Ultimate Feline
Impersonator, Honorary Bagrat, High Witch)


Dear Miss Herod,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Filius Flitwick
Deputy Headmaster



Maia’s eyes glittered as she stared at the letter in her hand. She was uncertain for a moment; what if it was some kind of mean joke by her former classmates? But she somehow felt sure that it was real.

Her mother, however, snatched the letter out of her hand. “What an incredibly inconsiderate hoax to pull!” she said angrily. “‘Await your owl’… ‘witchcraft and wizardry’.” She gathered the other five letters from the desk and went to the kitchen to throw them away. Maia looked at her hands. Her mother was right; it was probably a hoax. But if it was true, it would explain a lot of things. She shrugged and picked up the book she had been reading before her mother had come in.

It would have been fun, though…
Chapter Two: The Pencil-Eater-Lady by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
Yay! Second chapter! Still many thanks to Willowed Sky who betas for me, and does such a great job!

So, chapter two, in which Maia visits a psychologist and gets an unexpected visit from an unexpected person.
CHAPTER TWO

The Pencil-Eater-Lady



Only two weeks passed before Maisi decided it was time to take her daughter to a psychologist. She was concerned that her daughter had sunk into a deep depression. Maia hardly spoke, and had said no to every invitation to go out and do something. The weather was beautiful, but Maia had hardly gone out at all. It was late July, and over a month left of the holidays. Her mother worried about what would happen when Maia started her new school that autumn.

The Psychologist’s office smelled slightly old, but not unpleasant. She had shelves lined with small dolls, dollhouse furniture and other trinkets. On the table were pencils, crayons and drawing paper, and it would have been a very pleasant room, thought Maia, had it not been for the fact that she was there because her mother appeared to consider her insane.

The Psychologist herself had a very high, childish voice, like a little girl. When Maia entered, she greeted her in her squeaky voice and bid her sit down on the sofa. She went over to the cupboard in the corner and pulled out a pad of drawing paper.

“This is for you, Maia,” she said sweetly. “You can draw whatever you want in this. Just draw what you think about during our sessions!”

As the Psychologist started talking, Maia only half listened and replied with a nod or a grunt when she asked her questions. While the Psychologist spoke to her and her mother, a green face began to form on the paper. It had red eyes and a round mouth, with very sharp teeth in it. It turned out to be a woman.

“Now, what is this you have drawn?” asked the Psychologist, looking down at the paper. “Who is that, Maia?”

Maia groaned inwardly at the annoying, high-pitched voice. She searched her mind for a suitable name for this character. After a moment, she replied, “It’s the Pencil-Eater.”

“Pencil-Eater?” the Psychologist repeated.

“Yeah,” said Maia. “Whenever you find your pencil is missing, it’s ’cause the Pencil-Eater came and ate it. She really hates pencils.”

“I see,” said the Psychologist. “And how did the Pencil-Eater-Lady come to that?”

Maia thought for another moment. “Her father died, and then her mother got another boyfriend, and she got so angry her skin turned green, and she ran away. But mostly she just really hates pencils.”

“So do you think that you have something in common with the Pencil-Eater-Lady?” asked the Psychologist, studying Maia’s face carefully.

“No,” said Maia.

“Are you angry at your mother for having a different boyfriend now?”

“No, my parents haven’t lived together for years.”

There was a short silence. Maisi looked embarrassed. The Psychologist looked thoughtful. “Why did you draw the Pencil-Eater-Lady?” she asked in the end.

“No reason,” said Maia. “I just really hate pencils.” She picked up the one she’d been drawing with and snapped it in half.

*


It was July thirty-first, a day like any other. Professor Minerva McGonagall was pacing her office thoughtfully. She was a tall, thin woman, with black, greying hair tied back in a tight bun at her neck. She was also the current Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Hogwarts had always kept an eye on the Muggleborn witches and wizards, as sometimes their parents were hard to convince. Professor Flitwick had just left her office after telling her that he had received reply owls from all the pupils accepted, except one. A certain Maia Artemis Herod had not given so much as a squeak. They knew she had opened and read her letter herself, but no reply had arrived.

This was far more worrying than it would have usually been. Professor McGonagall was aware that this particular pupil’s father had died over the summer, and she was certain that this had something to do with it. All letters sent to Muggleborns had a spell of Instant Belief on them, which had been Professor Flitwick’s idea; in the old days they always sent someone to hand over the letter personally to Muggleborns. The letters also enclosed a map showing the way to The Leaky Cauldron and instructions on how to get into Diagon Alley. The fact that this pupil and her mother had not believed it instantly signified that they were both either in too negative a mindset, or too shocked to believe anything.

The previous Headmasters and mistresses were snoozing gently in their frames as usual. Professor McGonagall walked over to the portrait of Albus Dumbledore, her predecessor, and tapped his frame gently. The wizard gave a loud snort and came awake.

“Albus,” said McGonagall.

“Yes?” said Dumbledore, a bemused smile playing around his lips. “How may I help you today, Minerva?”

McGonagall explained the situation. Dumbledore listened and nodded, and when she had finished he drew his fingers through his long silver beard.

“Well,” he said after a while, “I believe it is quite obvious what you must do. It can be dangerous to leave a grief-stricken Muggleborn with magic ability without harnessing her powers and helping her gain control. She could harm both herself and others. You must go and get her.”

“What?” said McGonagall briskly, taken aback. She had only been Headmistress for a couple of years thus far, so this was something she had not had to do before. “Go to her?”

“Yes, Minerva, go there and convince her and her mother.”

*


Maisi was putting on her earrings when the doorbell rang. Thinking it was probably the neighbour come to watch Maia while she was out, she walked over to the door and opened it. However, it was not the neighbour. The woman in the doorway was tall and thin, and wore large, square glasses. She was wearing a green cloak, and a large, black, pointed hat. Maisi looked her up and down suspiciously.

“Yes?” she said.

“May I please come in?” asked the woman.

Maisi frowned. “Are you selling something? Preaching?”

“No,” said the woman, her expression unreadable. “I just want to come in. It concerns your daughter, Mrs Herod “”

“Beckman,” said Maisi quickly. “I never married.”

The woman blinked. “I am sorry, Madam Beckman. Please, may I come in?”

Maisi stepped back and allowed the woman entrance. “Maia!” she shouted. Then she turned back to the woman. “Now would you like to tell me who you are?” she asked, looking weary.

“In a moment,” replied the woman. She took off her pointy hat, revealing greying, dark hair tied back, and made her way through the hall, past the kitchen and into the living room. Maisi followed, and soon Maia came out of her room. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the woman.

“You would be Maia Artemis Herod, I presume?”

Maia nodded.

“I am Professor Minerva McGonagall,” said the woman. “I am the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I have come here to inform you of exactly what we have to offer.”

Maia’s eyes lit up then, with hope and admiration. “You can do magic?” she asked in a small whisper.

Professor McGonagall looked about to answer, but Maisi intervened.

“Wait a minute!” she said. “That’s the name from that letter! What do you mean, witchcraft? There’s no such thing! It was all a joke! My daughter isn’t going anywhere!”

The professor turned to the hysterical woman. “I assure you, Madam Beckman, that those letters were no joke.” And suddenly there was no professor anymore, but a tabby cat. At that moment Maia’s fat cat, Cassandra, came waddling out of the kitchen and upon seeing the strange cat gave a loud hiss and fled into the bathroom.

The cat turned back into Professor McGonagall again at once. She brushed some dust off her cloak and cleared her throat.

“Yes, as I was saying,” she continued, “this is no joke. You really do have a place at our school, Maia.”

Maisi looked about to say something, but was interrupted before she could even make a sound.

“I also wish to inform you of what a hazard it can be to leave a child with magical tendencies without teaching them properly,” continued McGonagall. “Her powers will only grow stronger, and if she does not learn to harness them, she can become a danger to the magical society.”

“Danger?” Maisi exploded. “You speak of danger? I’ll tell you danger! Taking my innocent child and teaching her the Devil’s work! Teaching her spells and demonic practices and dark magic! A witch? My child?”

“My dear Madam Beckman!” said McGonagall, in a very authoritative voice. “That is quite enough! We do not teach dark magic, nor the devil’s work! Magic has been around since well before any beliefs you may have, and in itself is neither dark nor light. We teach our students to use magic only for good purposes. Madam, the fact is that whether you like it or not, your daughter is a witch. We will do our very best to teach her to handle and control it, and to become a valid part of the magical society of Britain and Ireland.” She turned to Maia, and looked kindly at her. “Maia,” she said. “Do you want to do this? Would you like to be a witch?”

Maia’s heart stopped for a few moments. She looked pleadingly at her mother who looked away and sighed.

“I… yes,” said Maia. “Yes, I do. Mum…”

“Do what you want,” said her mother. There was a pause. “So,” she said to Professor McGonagall, “how do we go about this?”

“I brought another copy of your daughter’s letter,” said the Professor, reaching into her pocket and pulling it out. “There is a school requirement list, a map to Diagon Alley, instructions on how to get there and a train ticket for Platform Nine and Three-Quarters on Wednesday first September.”

“And how do we pay for everything?” asked Maisi. “Our economy is moderate at best.”

“We have a fund at Gringotts for students with little money,” said the professor. “You can go there, and they’ll have your daughter’s name down. You’ll get enough money to buy what you need. Bring cash if you need money exchanged. Those pieces of plastic you carry will do you no good at Gringotts.”

Maisi nodded and took the letter.

“Well, I must be on my way,” said McGonagall, donning her hat once more. And then all at once, with a loud cracking noise, she vanished into thin air.
Chapter Three: A Fateful Decision by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
So, yes, chapter three it is. In which Maia has to make her decision and go to Diagon Alley to do her shopping for school. She also learns a whole bunch of new stuff about her new world. Hope you'll enjoy it!

MaiaMadness
CHAPTER THREE

A Fateful Decision


They stood staring at the empty spot where McGonagall had been standing. Then Maisi put the letter absentmindedly on the table.

“Do you want some tea, Maia?” she said. “I’ll go make some tea.” Without waiting for an answer, she bustled out into the kitchen to put the kettle on. Maia picked up the letter and opened it, reading the familiar writing on the first bit of parchment. Then she read the others. The first was a list of school requirements.


Uniform

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils’ clothes should carry name tags



Set Books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble


Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales


Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad


PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS



There was a map on the next bit of parchment, marking a spot not too far from Maia’s home. She assumed that was the entrance to the place where she could buy all her school stuff. She certainly could not think of any other place in London where they would sell her a wand, or an owl, for that matter. She turned the parchment over and read the instructions there.


Enter the Leaky Cauldron (marked on the map) and ask the barman to send someone out back to let you into Diagon Alley, as this requires a wand.


Maia put the map, supply list and letter down, and reached inside the envelope for the last time. There she found a ticket, marked:


The Hogwarts Express
1 September, 11:00
King’s Cross Station
Platform 9 ¾



Maisi came out of the kitchen with the pot of tea and some cakes. She stopped and looked at the open envelope and all the parchment.

“So you’ve decided to go?” she said quietly, setting down the pot and plate of cakes.

But before Maia could reply the doorbell rang.

“Oh, dear, that’s the neighbour,” said Maisi, wringing her hands. “Better not talk to her about this. Put all those things in your room. I suppose we’ll go to that place tomorrow,” she added absentmindedly, going to open the door.


“It’s supposed to be over here,” Maisi muttered, staring at the map. “This is ridiculous…”

“Mum, look, there it is!” said Maia excitedly, pointing towards the dingy little pub. It looked so thoroughly out of place between the busy shops that she could not possibly help notice it. But her mother stared blankly at the spot Maia was pointing at.

“Where?” she said with a puzzled look. “I can’t see anything.”

“But it’s right there!” said Maia, watching a man in a scarlet cloak and large pointy hat enter the pub with the large sign proclaiming it to be “The Leaky Cauldron”. Maia walked over to the entrance, and Maisi followed doubtfully. But when her daughter put her hand on the handle, the building seemed to appear out of nowhere. Maisi took a step back, but Maia opened the door, and her mother had no choice but to follow after her inside.

The pub was cosy and small, with little rickety tables all over the place. Behind the door stood an old, toothless man, who smiled when they entered.

“What can I do for you?” he asked. Maia suddenly felt shy.

“Are you the barman?” Maisi questioned lamely.

“That I am,” said the man. “The name is Tom, at your service.”

“We need to get into Diagon Alley,” said Maisi, getting in her bossy mood. Maia looked down.

“Ah, Muggleborn, is she?” said Tom. “Hogwarts business, I suppose. I’ll ask Ruth to let you through. Ruth!”

A petite, dark-haired woman came out of a door behind the bar, which presumably lead to a kitchen. Tom told Ruth what Maia and her mother were doing there, and she said, “Follow me,” and guided them out back. There she pulled a stick from her pocket and began poking some bricks in the wall with it.

It happened instantly; the bricks moved and shifted and suddenly there was an archway where there had been a wall moments before.

“Diagon Alley,” said Ruth with a smile. “Have a nice day!” Then she went back inside, and Maia and her mother turned down the cobbled streets.

Maia had never seen anything like this place. The entire street was lined with shops, and they were the strangest shops Maia had ever seen. They had the strangest names, and the strangest things on display in the windows. Cauldrons, broomsticks, pumpkins, books, and funny animals. Maia could only stare on wonder.

It was not difficult to figure out which of the buildings was Gringotts. It was large, and white, and much bigger and more conspicuous than any of the other buildings along the street. It looked like a bank.

They stepped up to the large, copper doors, where a statue of a rather short creature was standing immovable. But as they passed it, the statue bowed, startling both Maia and her mother, because it was not a statue at all.

“What you staring at?” it said gruffly. “Never seen a goblin before?” Maia shook her head as her mother took her hand. “Well, go on! Don’t crowd the doorway, there’s much traffic here!”

Maia scurried inside, only to find another set of doors to enter through, these ones silver in colour, and with a plaque that she didn’t have time to read before they were ushered through by another goblin. Once inside, however, Maia had to stop and stare.

There were goblins sitting at desks all over the great hall they were in, going in and out of little doors, counting gold, silver and bronze coins and examining precious stones and jewels.

Maisi dragged her over to one of the desks that seemed to be assigned to customer help. The goblin looked up at her with utter disinterest.

“Yes?” he said in a bored voice. Maisi made herself as tall as she could (a tough feat for a woman of five-foot-four but not when standing opposite a goblin who was hardly four feet tall), trying to look like she knew exactly what she was doing.

“I would like to exchange some money, and take some out from the Hogcourts’ fund,” she said.

“Hogwarts, you mean?” asked the goblin.

“That’s what I said,” replied Maisi, a small blush creeping up her cheeks. Maia looked down in embarrassment.

“Your child’s name, madam?” The goblin looked as bored as ever.

“Maia Artemis Herod,” said Maisi, blush gone.

The goblin left the desk and went through a door behind him. He returned two minutes later with a piece of parchment, and a small leather pouch.

“There is a total of ten Galleons available for Maia Artemis Herod, for this school year,” he said. “You wished to exchange some Muggle money?”

“Some what?”

“UK pounds, madam. The current rate is five pounds to a Galleon.”

Maisi began rummaging through her handbag for her purse. She had taken cash out earlier that day, just like McGonagall had told her to. Not knowing how much everything would cost, she had taken out 100 pounds.

“This will ruin me,” she mumbled. “But I suppose it’s not that much worse than a regular school. At least there’s no school fee…”

She handed the 100 pounds to the goblin. “Twenty Galleons, then,” she said. The goblin nodded, and went back through the door. This time it took a bit longer, but he soon came out with another, slightly bigger leather pouch.

“Twenty Galleons, here,” he said. “There are seventeen Sickles to a Galleon, and 29 Knuts to a Sickle.”

Maisi took the money, thanked the goblin and marched her daughter out of the bank.

Once out on the street again, Maisi pulled out the list and studied it.

“Well,” she said, “let’s start with the most ridiculous, shall we?”

Finding the shop that sold magic wands was relatively easy. It was a small shop, but it had a big sign which read, Ollivander’s and Birch’s: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC and 1997 AD respectively.

Maia stepped inside, followed by her mother. The shop was filled with shelves containing narrow boxes. The man behind the counter looked up as they stepped inside. “Ah, welcome!” he said. He was a relatively young man, in his 30s, perhaps, with a bush of brown hair and glistening, black eyes.

“Er, yes, we’re looking for a wand,” said Maisi, stepping forward.

“Well, I dare say you’ve come to the right place; this is the only shop in Diagon Alley selling wands,” said the man, smiling. “I’m Birch. Hogwarts, is it?” he asked Maia kindly, and she nodded. “Well, come over here so we can take your measurements. What’s your wand hand? The one you use most?”

“Right,” said Maia shyly.

“Alrighty, then!” said Birch. He pulled up a measuring tape, which began measuring Maia all on its own. Birch watched intently, and then began searching the shelves, pulling out boxes, studying the wands and putting them back again.

“I say, you are dressed funny,” he said as he searched. “Muggleborn, are you?”

“Excuse me,” said Maisi, “I am afraid we don’t know what you mean by that.”

“So sorry,” said Birch. “ Of course you don’t. A Muggle is a non-magical person, like you, madam. A Muggleborn is a witch or wizard born from a Muggle family.” He took a wand from the shelf and brought it over to Maia. The measuring tape dropped to the floor.

“Here, try this one. One of mine, willow and Unicorn hair, eleven and a half inches,” he said. Maia took the wand, not certain what she was meant to do with it. She looked blankly at him. “Wave it a bit,” Birch explained. “It’s a bit like trying on shoes.” He smiled.

Maia waved the wand a bit, feeling stupid. Absolutely nothing happened.

“Not that one, then,” said Birch. He took the wand and put it back in its box. “Let’s see…” He went back to his activity of searching through boxes. Then he shook his head and went behind the counter and disappeared through an opening. Maia and Maisi stood in silence looking at each other for a little while. Then Birch showed up again. “This one,” he said. “I’m positive. This is one of my predecessor’s. Ebony and Dragon Heartstring, thirteen inches. It’s rather long, but great for protective spells and counter-curses. Here.”

He held out a long, black wand. Maia took it and waved it. A bunch of green sparks flew from the end, and Maia felt a warm feeling travel up her arm.

“Wonderful! I knew that was the one!” said Birch with a smile. “That will be seven Galleons. Ebony is a very magically powerful wood, you know,” he added. “You can be very great with a wand like this.

Maisi reached into the bigger leather pouch and pulled out seven gold coins.

“I’m rather happy to be rid of another one of Ollivander’s wands,” chattered Birch. “Then I can take down that sign and put up my own, but it’s a shame to let all these wands go to waste.”

“Did Ollivander die?” asked Maia.

“Well, we don’t really know,” said Birch, taking the money from Maisi. “He just disappeared three years ago, when the war started… It was a good thing I came back from my apprenticeship in Italy a few months later and could take over, or else people would have had to travel far for their wands.”

Maia and her mother left the shop and proceeded to go and buy everything else she needed. They got her robes fitted at Madam Malkin’s (because, as Maisi said, uniforms are far too important to be bought second hand) but bought most of her schoolbooks at a used books shop down the Alley somewhere. They passed a very colourful shop called Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes (which Maisi refused to enter), and a trendy clothes shop called Patil and Patil, where two identical witches of barely twenty sold robes inspired by traditional Indian clothing. Maia fell utterly in love with an emerald green sari style dress, but Maisi reminded her that that was not why they were there. They did, however, buy a newspaper, some magazines and a book called Modern Magical History: The Two Wars.

At the end of the day they had bought everything she needed, and had two Galleons, ten Sickles and 14 Knuts left. “I suppose I have no use for this money,” said Maisi and stuffed the pouch with the remaining wizard money in Maia’s pocket. “Perhaps you’ll need these when you go to school.” She smiled. “You looking forward to it?”

Maia nodded. “Yeah,” she said. “It’ll be great.”

“Good,” said Maisi, as they set off homewards.
Chapter Four, Meeting Friends by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
In which Maia takes the Hogwarts Express and meets some new people.
CHAPTER FOUR



Meeting Friends






Maia could hardly contain her excitement during the next couple of weeks. She read through the newspaper, which was called The Daily Prophet, and the magazines The Quibbler, Witch Weekly and Which Broomstick so many times she knew them off by heart, and marvelled at the moving pictures as well as the crazy stories inside. She read the book about the wars and soon knew everything about Harry Potter, and the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord. It was all so fascinating.



But her mother was less happy. Maisi tried to hide it, but it was easy to tell how worried and anxious she was about sending her only daughter away to a strange place with strange people where she would learn strange magic.



However, nothing could ruin Maia’s happiness about going to her new school. It would be exciting, and she would learn interesting things, and most of all, be able to start with a clean slate. No one would know her and everything would change.



On the evening of the 31st of August, all her equipment and books and clothing had been packed into a large trunk that stood open on the floor in her room. Everything was going in there except her wand, which she would carry in her pocket with her at all times. She imagined that to be a wise course of action. Her mother had also allowed her to bring one of the cats. In the end she had decided on Oedipus, because he was younger, better around people, and black. Black cats were supposed to be the trendiest pets for witches, according to Witch Weekly.



“Well, that’s that, then,” said her mother, looking down at the trunk. “So you’re really leaving me, are you? What will I do without you…” She hugged Maia close. “Bed now,” she said, holding her at arm’s length. “You have a big day tomorrow.”





King’s Cross Station was packed the next morning; they arrived an hour early, for fear of being late, and ended up arriving during rush hour. The cat in the cage had been meowing loudly all the way there. Maia had her ticket with her. Platform Nine and three-quarters, she read for what might have been the hundredth time. She could clearly see platforms Nine and Ten, but no Nine and three-quarters. Nothing, just a barrier between the two platforms. Maia looked at her mother.



“It’s not here,” she whimpered, disappointment visible in her eyes. Maisi just shook her head, wondering if maybe it had just been an elaborate joke after all. But she had seen all those things happen. It could not just be a hoax.



She asked a random passer by if they knew where the platform was, but they merely looked at her as though she was mad. She asked a guard with the same result, and he told her to keep the cat quiet as it was causing a disturbance. Maisi gave an exasperated sigh. There was bound to be some kind of magic involved in this too, she thought.



Out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone in a large, pointy hat. But when she turned around, the person, whoever it was, had disappeared. Maia pulled her trunk and the kitty-cage over to the barrier between the platforms and sat down, leaning against it.



And then, suddenly, without warning, she disappeared. Maisi let out a cry of surprise, causing a few people to stop and stare. She went over to the barrier, where the trunk and cage still stood. Lifting her hand she pushed at the wall, but nothing happened. But then a head stuck out, startling her again. It was Maia’s head, and she crawled back out over the trunk and stood up.



“Mum, it’s here!” she said. “Look, come on!” She took her mother’s hand and pulled the trunk with the other, and with her daughter leading her, Maisi passed through the barrier, carrying the cage with the screaming cat.



They found themselves on another platform. Looking behind her, Maisi saw a wrought-iron archway with the number Nine and Three-Quarters on it, and standing there on the tracks was a scarlet steam engine, puffing purple smoke. It looked magnificent.



There were rather few people on the platform, as the train was not leaving for another half hour, but a few seconds later, someone came through behind them. They excused themselves as they jostled past, two children fighting over who got to go on the train first.



“Mum, help me find a seat!” said Maia, already dragging her trunk after her on her way towards one of the doors. Maisi followed and helped her carry the trunk on board. They found a compartment which they put the trunk and the cage in, and then they went back outside.



“Now, you behave yourself, love,” said Maisi. “Take care and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”



“Alright,” said Maia.



“I’ll miss you.” Her mother hugged her tightly. “Have fun. Remember to write!” she said, letting go, and Maia got on the train again.



Once back in her compartment, she looked out of the window at her mother. Another mother who also appeared to be a “ what had they all called it “ Muggle was talking to her, as her son got on the train. Maia sat down, shushed the cat, and pulled a comic book out of her trunk.



As Maia considered whether she should get out her Discman as well, the compartment door slid open, and she looked up. A tall girl with dark blonde hair and ice blue eyes looked inside at her.



“Excuse me,” she said, “may I sit here?”



“Sure,” replied Maia. The girl pulled her trunk into the compartment and closed the door.



“I’m Wiktoria Westhatch,” said the girl. “What’s your name?”



“Maia Herod,” said Maia. The girl had an air of superiority and pompousness about her, but only to a certain extent. She sat down opposite of Maia and looked intensely at her.



“Your first year?” she asked.



“Yes,” said Maia. “You?”



“First-year, yes,” replied Wiktoria. “It would have been quicker to travel to Hogwarts from home, though.”



“Really?” said Maia, vaguely interested. “Where do you live, then?”



“Up north, near the border of Scotland,” Wiktoria answered, swinging her legs. “Hogwarts is supposed to be in Scotland. That’s what my brother said, anyway.”



“You have a brother who’s a wizard?” asked Maia, feeling vaguely envious. Wiktoria would know a lot more than her, then.



“Yes, but he’s already graduated. Where are you from?”



“Oh, I live in London,” said Maia. “But I’m a whatchacall… Muggle-born or whatever.”



“I see,” said Wiktoria. “The train is leaving soon,” she added, looking out onto the now emptying platform. There were owls hooting, cats meowing and parents sobbing, as they helped their children onto the train. As if in response, Oedipus meowed from his cage. “Oh, what a pretty cat!” said Wiktoria, only then noticing him. “Why don’t you let him out?”



“Maybe I should wait until the train leaves so he doesn’t run off and get lost at King’s Cross Station,” Maia answered, right as the compartment door slid open once more; another girl stood there.



“Any room in here?” she asked, as a whistle was blown outside, and all the doors outside closed. “I was a bit delayed, all the other compartments are full.”



“Go ahead,” said Maia, and Wiktoria nodded.



The train left the platform and the girl sat down. She had dark brown, wavy hair tied back into a ponytail, and dark blue eyes. “So who are you two?” she said, apparently not bothering to introduce herself first.



“Wiktoria Westhatch,” said Wiktoria. “And that’s Maia… Herod, was it?”



“Yes,” said Maia. “Who are you?” she asked the new girl.



“Oh, sorry, I’m Kristiana Black,” the girl replied.



“Really?” said Wiktoria, suddenly intrigued. “No relation to The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, is there?”



“As a matter of fact there is,” said Kristiana. “My grandfather was Alphard Black, but he was disowned because he gave gold to his nephew who ran away,” she explained. “I don’t think the rest of the family even knew he had a son. What’s that you’re reading?” she added to Maia, pointing at the comic book.



“Just a comic book,” said Maia. “It’s called Books of Magic.”



“Can I see?” asked Kristiana. Maia handed her the book. “But the pictures don’t move!” she said after flipping through it.



“Well no,” said Maia. “It’s a, what’s the word… Muggle comic.”



“Oh,” said Kristiana, giving back the comic book. “You’re a Muggle-born, then…”



“Yeah,” said Maia. “Is that a problem?”



Kristiana appeared to consider it for a bit. Then she shrugged. “Not to me, it isn’t,” she said. “But some people care a lot. I just never knew any Muggle-borns. My father is a Squib, though, so of course I don’t mind. He works in the wizarding world. Carves handles for broomsticks. He has a shop with an associate named Sander in Knockturn Alley, called Sander and Black.”



“What’s a Squib?” asked Maia.



“The opposite of a Muggle-born,” said Wiktoria quickly, seemingly happy about sharing her knowledge. “It’s a person born in a wizard family who has no magic powers at all.”



“Yes, and that’s the reason it’s probably a good thing the rest of our family never knew about my father,” Kristiana continued.



“Why?” Maia inquired.



“Well, for the same reason that they wouldn’t have liked you,” said Wiktoria. “The old, pureblood wizarding families aren’t very fond of Squibs or Muggle-borns. They call Muggle-borns Mudbloods because they’re ‘filthy’. Purebloods who associate with Muggles are blood-traitors, and Squibs are rotten apples.”



“Exactly,” said Kristiana. “A lot of Purebloods are horribly prejudiced. But most people don’t care too much anymore, of course. Especially not since the war is over.”



“Yes, I read about that!” exclaimed Maia. “I bought this book about it. So the Death Eaters were mostly people from pureblood families or what?”



“That’s right,” replied Kristiana. “My father’s cousins Bellatrix and Regulus were both Death Eaters, and another of his cousins, Narcissa, was married to one; Lucius Malfoy.”



They fell silent for a while. Maia pondered upon what she had just learned. One of those names in particular rang a bell, and that was Bellatrix. She had apparently been one of the worst. Maia shuddered.



“Hey, the train’s moving now,” said Wiktoria. “Why don’t you let out the cat?”



Not long after that, a lady with a trolley full of sweets came and knocked on the compartment door. Maia used some of the sickles in her money pouch to buy a pack of something called Chocolate Frogs, and some Pumpkin Pasties. They tasted wonderful, and the chocolate frogs had little cards inside with famous witches and wizards on them. Maia’s first card was Merlin, and Wiktoria told her it was a rather unusual card. She had bought Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans herself, and was cautiously nibbling them. Kristiana was sucking on a liquorice wand, engrossed in Maia’s comic book.



“It’s nothing like reality, of course,” she had said. “Everyone knows dimensions don’t work like that. But the kid has an owl, at least, and he looks a lot like Harry Potter.”



Wiktoria had then proceeded to tell Maia that her brother had been at school with Harry Potter, and knew Neville Longbottom personally.



When it began to darken outside the windows, the three girls changed into their uniforms, and Maia struggled to get Oedipus back in his cage. Shortly after that, the train pulled up to the station and stopped. Their things would be taken inside for them, so they stepped off the train together, unsure of where to go next. But soon they heard a booming voice go:



“Firs’-years! Firs’-years over here!” They looked around and saw a gigantic hulk of a man standing a little way off. “This way!” he shouted, and they hurried off towards him. Maia felt a bit afraid, because he was truly gigantic, but as they approached, he smiled good-naturedly. “Are yeh the lot?” he boomed, looking around at the group that had huddled next to him. “No one else? Alrigh’, then, follow me!”



They scurried after him, because the evening was chilly, and were surprised when he took them down to the edge of a lake with lots of little boats. Across the lake they could see a big castle on top of a cliff, with lit windows.



“Four to a boat!” said the huge man. Maia, Kristiana and Wiktoria shared a boat with an olive-skinned, dark-haired little boy, and the boats set off of their own accord across the lake, towards Hogwarts Castle.

Chapter Five: Feasts and Hats by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
In which Maia arrives at Hogwarts at last and is sorted.

Many thanks to my betas, Willow and Elliot, for beta-reading this chapter, and also many thanks to whatapotter for helping me revise the previous four.
CHAPTER FIVE

Feasts and Hats


The boats docked in an underground cave of some kind. The first-years followed the giant man up a passage that lead onto a great big lawn. Not far off was the entrance to the castle. Maia stared at the huge oak doors in awe. The big man knocked on one of the doors, and it opened.

At first Maia thought the door had opened of its own accord, but then she saw a tiny little man. He was shorter than her, or any of the other first years. He was as small as the big man was large. “Here they all are, Professor,” said the huge man.

“Thank you, Hagrid!” said the little man in a squeaky voice. Hagrid, as the large man’s name appeared to be, made a clumsy bow. “Follow me, now,” said the little man, stepping aside to make room for all the first years to come through the great door. When all had come through, he pulled out his wand and closed the door.

The Entrance Hall was huge. It had a flagged stone floor, the walls were covered in torches, and straight ahead was a large, marble staircase leading to the upper floors. To their right were two gigantic doors. They could hear chattering from inside.

“Welcome to Hogwarts!” said the little man, smiling. “My name is Filius Flitwick, but that is Professor Flitwick to you. I teach Charms, and I am the head of Ravenclaw House. I am also the Deputy Headmaster of Hogwarts. This way, please.”

They followed him away from the big doors to their right, through a smaller door into a rather tiny chamber on the left hand side of the hall.

“Now,” said Professor Flitwick, “in a few moments, the Sorting Ceremony will begin, and you will each be sorted into a house. The houses are Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. You will be living in your house’s dormitory, spend your free time in your house’s common room, sit at your house’s table during meals and have classes with other members of your house. Now, if you would, please wait here for a moment and I shall go and check that everything’s in order."

He exited through the same door, leaving the first years alone. Maia looked around her at the terrified faces. “I don’t suppose anyone knows what will happen to us?” she asked uncertainly.

“Well, nothing bad, in any case,” said Wiktoria matter-of-factly. “My brother didn’t know any magic at all when he first came to Hogwarts, but he was sorted all the same and I think he would have told me if he had to do something very bad.”

“It’s no worries,” agreed Kristiana. “My mother was sorted into Slytherin. She told me it was no big deal, but she didn’t want to tell me what you have to do…”

The door opened again.

“Follow me in a row of two and two, please,” said Professor Flitwick. “Come now!”

They all lined up “ Maia was next to Wiktoria “ and followed the professor through the Entrance Hall into the Great Hall of Hogwarts. There were five tables there; four large tables where students were sitting and one slightly smaller table that appeared to be for the staff. Maia recognised Professor McGonagall, who was sitting in a large chair at the centre of the table. Above the tables candles hovered in midair, and the ceiling appeared to be non-existent, for she could see the sky and the stars and the moon above her.

The first-years lined up in front of the staff table, and before them, Professor Flitwick placed a small stool and an old, patched wizard’s hat. There was perfect silence now; everyone was staring at the hat.

A seam around the brim of the hat opened suddenly like a mouth, and the hat began to sing:


“Welcome to another year
At this, the finest school.
Welcome back the elders,
And welcome, all the new.

Here you will learn everything
Of magic things to find,
But remember, though you learn the same
You’re all one of a kind.

Some of you are Gryffindors,
The brave and good and true.
You’ll find that in this house of lions
Your friends are rarely few.

Some belong in Hufflepuff,
The friendly and the kind.
If you badgers have your differences
No one will really mind.

Some are best in Ravenclaw,
The studious and clever.
If you are once an eagle
You will fly free forever.

Some should dwell in Slytherin,
The cunning and ambitious.
If you’re a snake you’ll always try
To make yourself propitious.

So if you put me on your head,
I’ll tell you where to be.
The Sorting Hat will show you why
It’s good that I am me!”



Applause broke out amongst the tables, and the hat went still again. So it was no worse than trying on a hat? Maia felt like laughing out loud.

“Now, now!” piped Professor Flitwick. “Quiet down, please! Now, first years, I will call your names and you will come up here and try on the Sorting Hat one by one! Allan, Dominic!”

A very tall boy with a mop of curly, brown hair walked up to the hat with as much dignity as he could muster. He sat down, and the hat was placed on top of his head. A few seconds passed, and then the hat shouted, “SLYTHERIN!”

The table to the far right exploded in applause and Dominic ran over to sit down. Professor Flitwick consulted his list again.

“Archer, Timian!”

A blonde boy with dark eyes scurried up and sat down on the stool. Professor Flitwick put the hat on his head, and shortly after, the hat shouted, “RAVENCLAW!”

The table second to the left clapped and shouted, and welcomed him among them.

“Black, Kristiana!” said Professor Flitwick, and Kristiana walked as confidently as she could up to the stool. The hat shouted, “SLYTHERIN!” and Kristiana went down to the table on the far right, where she received handshakes and applause.

Maia nervously waited for her name to be called. Meanwhile, the boy she had shared a boat with, “Carson, Diego” was sorted into Hufflepuff. She gazed around the room, taking in details as more students were sorted. The tables were covered in gold plates and everything looked very majestic and big and extravagant. Well, it was a castle, she mused.

“Herod, Maia!” said Professor Flitwick.

Maia’s attention turned back to the old hat and she walked nervously up and sat on the stool. Then the professor put the hat on her head and everything went dark.

“Well, this is tough,” said a little voice. “You’re awfully difficult to place, my dear. You’re intelligent and creative, you want to go somewhere. You don’t let things stand in your way, do you? You’re also brave enough to stand up for what you believe in, and for your friends and family. Where should you go?”

“Wherever,” thought Maia nervously.

“Well, then, that’s a new answer,” chuckled the voice. “I had better put you in SLYTHERIN!”

The hat came off her head, and Maia ran to the Slytherin table and sat down next to Kristiana. She was greeted with grins and handshakes, but Kristiana leaned over and whispered in her ear, “You’d be better off not telling them you’re Muggle-born, you know.”

Maia took this to mind, as “Isakson, Nora” was sorted into Gryffindor.

She was surprised when, a moment later, she noticed a number of silvery see-through beings sitting along the tables. The one at the Slytherin table looked fearsome and surly, with silvery stains all over him. An older student noticed her staring and explained to her that these were the Hogwarts ghosts, and that the one at their table was the Bloody Baron. Maia shuddered.

Wiktoria was the last person to be sorted, and became a Ravenclaw. She waved to Maia and Kristiana on her way over to her table.

At the staff table, Professor McGonagall stood up, and motioned for everyone to be silent.

“Now that you have all been sorted, I would like to welcome each of you to another year at Hogwarts! I am sure you are all hungry, so I won’t keep you for long. I hope all the older students will treat their new house members well, and teach them to adapt to life here at Hogwarts. You may now enjoy the feast!”

And before Maia’s very eyes, the plates all over the tables filled up with food. Maia was sure she had never seen so much food in one place. She filled her plate with lamb chops and steak, and chattered merrily to Kristiana and a second-year girl called Emily Parkinson, who appeared to be Kristiana’s second cousin on her mother’s side.

When Maia thought she couldn’t possibly eat any more, the plates were wiped clean, and the food on the table was replaced with cakes, ice creams and puddings of every kind. Maia changed her mind and loaded her plate once again.

The conversation around Maia now turned to blood.

“Of course, blood is more important than anything,” said one of the new first-years, a skinny brunette with a pointed nose and eyes so bright blue they appeared to be white. “And I feel sorry for those who have no background, I really do. I myself am a Macnair, and, well, I’m sure everyone here is well aware of my family’s background.”

An older boy next to her snorted. “Oh, yes, of course,” he said smugly. “Your uncle got caught, so everyone will recognise your name, won’t they? My dad on the other hand…”

“Yaxley, shut up,” said a girl who sat across from him coolly. “Blood-feuds are way over-due.”

“Oh, yes, Clara, you’ll know all about that, won’t you?” Yaxley snarled. “You blood-traitor “”

“What I mean is,” Clara cut in loudly, “that this is hardly an appropriate topic of discussion the first day of a new school year. That goes for all of you. Just because Megalos is too incompetent a prefect to keep order, I am not.” She indicated a silver badge on her chest. A boy with a similar badge glared at her, fuming.

A tall, skinny boy to her left who looked about thirteen gave a snicker. “Megalos, you’re useless,” he said in an accent that Maia couldn’t quite place. “Useless!”

“Angér, your sycophancy is admirable,” said Clara with a small laugh.
When they had all finished eating, Professor McGonagall stood up again.

“Now that you’re all well fed, I will give a few notices. The Forest in the school grounds is out of bounds for all students. Our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to inform you that any products from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes are still strictly banned, and a full list of banned items can be found on the door to his study in the dungeons. There will also be no use of magic in the corridors between classes. Quidditch captains can host try-outs at their own leisure during the next two weeks, and the first match will be in October, when Gryffindor will play Ravenclaw.

“I would also like to welcome our newest staff member, Professor Nymphadora Tonks, who will be teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts!”

A rather young witch with mousy brown hair and grey robes stood up and bowed to the applause she received. Kristiana whispered that that name seemed vaguely familiar.

“The prefects will now take the new first-years to the common rooms,” continued Professor McGonagall. “All your things have been brought to your assigned dormitories already, so there is no need to worry about that. Good night!”

Maia and the other Slytherin first-years followed the incompetent prefect Alexander Megalos out of the hall and down some stone steps into the dungeons. They were lead through several twisting corridors, and came to a halt in front of a blank stone wall.

“Felix Felicis,” said Megalos, and a stone door that had been concealed in the wall swung open to reveal an entrance through which they all walked.

The Slytherin common room was decorated with green chairs and carpets, and the stone walls were covered in green tapestries and silver chandeliers. A fire was roaring in a fireplace. There were two doors on one end of the common room, one that lead to the girls’ dormitories, and one that lead to the boys’. Megalos showed them which was which, and Maia walked through the door and up some steps to her dormitory with Kristiana and four other girls, Anna Maeves, Dora Thatcher, Miranda Jigger and the unpleasant pure-blood, Venus Macnair.

In the dormitory there were six four-poster beds with green hangings, and their trunks had been put at the foot of the beds. Maia went over to the bed she had been assigned to and found Oedipus purring on the covers.

They were all tired and, once they had changed and climbed into their beds, fell asleep almost instantly.
Chapter Six: Professor Tonks by MaiaMadness
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Elliot for betaing this chapter, and to BlackClaude for pointing out the last mistake.



CHAPTER SIX

Professor Tonks



Maia rolled out of bed the next morning, feeling as though her head were filled with cotton candy. The other girls were already up and getting dressed. Maia pulled on her robes and went down to breakfast with Kristiana. As they walked through the winding dungeon corridors she was certain they passed several doors and staircases that had not been there the night before.

She was thoroughly surprised when the Great Hall filled up with owls. They dropped letters and parcels at the students. Some sat down at the tables and stole some food from their owners’ plates before taking off again. Maia thought that it could hardly be sanitary, but Kristiana assured her that it was entirely safe.

Professor Slughorn, the Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House, went around the Slytherin table and handed out timetables. He was an old, rather fat man with a moustache like that of a walrus. He had a friendly, smiling face, and Maia instantly liked him. She was looking forward to having her first Potions lesson, but was disappointed to find that it wasn’t until Monday. Today, however, she had Charms and Transfiguration before lunch, and afterwards she had double Defence Against the Dark Arts.

The Charms lesson was with the Ravenclaws, and their very first lesson was about Drought charms. Maia and Kristiana paired up together with a cup filled with water and tried to dry it out. When Maia tried it there was not even a ripple in the water surface, but Kristiana managed to make it bubble a bit. Wiktoria, two tables away, was in deep concentration and managed to dry out the cup on her third try, much to the pleasure of Professor Flitwick, who got to give points to his own house. Wiktoria told them afterwards, as they were leaving the class, that it was all in the pronunciation of the spell, and that once you got that right it was rather simple, really. Maia took note of this and was glad she had Wiktoria to tip her off about these things.

Transfiguration was also with the Ravenclaws, which was rather fortunate, since Maia got to sit close to Wiktoria again, who was easily the most diligent student of the lot. Their Transfiguration teacher was a very young man in his early twenties who was called Professor Beatle. He had a friendly, smiling face behind rectangular glasses, and was good with children. He began by teaching them how to turn a match into a needle. Wiktoria once again succeeded after a few tries, but Maia felt that she was lousy at these subjects. Professor Beatle, noticing her struggle, told her kindly that not everyone could always manage on the first try, that these things took practice and that she would get it eventually.

Maia felt cheered by this, and even more so when she noticed that the red end of the match had turned silver in colour. She left the class feeling rather accomplished and in a much better mood than earlier that morning.

Defence Against the Dark Arts they had with the Gryffindors. Maia felt the hostility between the two houses the moment she entered the classroom; the Gryffindors glared at the Slytherins, who scowled back. Maia appeared to be the only Slytherin to not understand what this was about, though there were several Gryffindors, probably Muggleborns, who looked as clueless as she felt. As they found seats at the very back of the class and sat down, Kristiana hurriedly explained to her that the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin had been going on for some hundreds of years.

“Whatever for?” asked Maia.

“Well, many Slytherins went dark, you know? All those relatives of mine that were Death Eaters, they were all in Slytherin. Not all Slytherins go dark, of course; my mother was one, and she never did. But the ancient pure-blood families are often the ones that are interested in the Dark Arts, and they teach their kids about it, so… In any case, the Gryffindors are rather the opposite of that. They’re a bit stupid, really, they see the world in all black and white. And a lot of professors favour the Gryffindors, even if they don’t realise it.”

They got out their books, and then the door at the other end of the room opened. Every pupil stared.

Surely this could not be the same teacher as the one who had bowed to them the night before? No, that woman’s hair had been brown and her appearance had been rather mousy and tired looking. How could this be the same woman? This witch had bright purple hair spiked into something akin to a mohawk. Her robes were of a dark fabric that seemed to shimmer in many different colours.

“Wotcher, first-years!” she said brightly. She stumbled ever so slightly on her way over to the teacher’s desk. “Welcome to Defence Against the Dark Arts, I am your teacher this year, and hopefully I’ll continue to be just that. I thought we’d start today with getting properly introduced! My name is Nymphadora Tonks, but if you ever dare use my first name I’ll fail you. Nymphadora, I ask you!” She seemed to shudder at having to pronounce it a second time. “I used to be an Auror, but now that I’m starting a family and everything, I wanted a less hazardous job. Not that teaching is any less hazardous, of course.” A few people laughed nervously at this.

“You’re married, Professor?” asked a Gryffindor girl in the front.

“Yes, yes I am,” said Tonks, grinning broadly. “To Remus Lupin. He taught here a few years back, actually… Anyway, some of you are probably wondering why I look different now from last night.” Her hair suddenly turned bubblegum pink, and several students gasped. “This is because I am a Metamorphmagus. This is not something you can learn; I was born with it. I can change my appearance at will.” Her nose grew considerably, and her eyes went bright orange.

“If you’re married, why don’t you have the same last name as your husband?” asked the Slytherin boy named Dominic Allan, who had been the first to be sorted the evening before, Maia remembered.

“Because I couldn’t be bothered to change it,” said Tonks. “Alright, who wants to introduce themselves next? How about you?” she said to the girl who had asked her a question.

“I’m Nora Isakson,” said the girl, blushing. “I come from Winchester. My mum’s a Muggle and my dad was a Wizard… I dunno what else to say.”

“No worries, Nora, that’s alright!” said Tonks pleasantly. “Moving on!”

She continued on the first row, which mostly consisted of Gryffindors, and went one student at the time through the classroom.

Venus Macnair was particularly rude and pompous, Maia thought, because when it was her turn she said, “Macnair, Venus. Pure-blood and far better than you.”

“Well, Miss Macnair,” said Tonks, her smile gone, “that’s ten points from Slytherin. We are all equal in my classroom. Macnair… I suppose that was your uncle I put in Azkaban, was it?” Her eyes had grown cool. But then she turned to Maia, who was sitting next to Venus. “And you?” she said in a friendly tone, smile in place.

“I’m Maia Herod,” she said. “I live in London. I like reading… And music…” she trailed off, not wanting to say anything that could expose her to the other Slytherins as a Muggleborn.

“Good, good!” said Tonks. “And you?” she said to Kristiana. “Last one!”

“Kristiana Black,” said Kristiana. “My dad has a broom shop in Knockturn Alley. I like broomsticks and animals. We have a crup at home.”

“Black, did you say? Then we must be related!” said Tonks. “But who… Ah, you must be Alphard’s grandchild! He’s my great uncle.”

Kristiana looked puzzled, but then her eyes widened and she smiled. “I knew your name was familiar! Your mother was Andromeda, who got disowned!”

“Quite right, quite right! Five points to Slytherin!”

There came a murmur from the Gryffindors. Tonks turned around, her eyes gleaming. “Aha!” she said. “I see! You are all under the impression that all Slytherins are bad, aren’t you?”

The Gryffindors all fell silent. Some had the decency to look embarrassed. A couple of Slytherins (among them Venus Macnair) sniggered.

“And you,” said Tonks, turning to those who did. “You probably have similar prejudices against Gryffindors. Think they’re all little do-gooders. I can tell you all right now that you are wrong.”

She went to the front of the class again. “Let’s make this an extra-ordinary class on prejudice, then!” she said. “After all, prejudice is the base of all evil. First, an example of a very nice Slytherin “ Professor Slughorn. Sure, he’s mostly friendly for personal gain, but I call that human, not evil. And a naughty Gryffindor, Peter Pettigrew.” Someone gasped; Kristiana made some kind of sound, but most stared blankly. “Yes, some of you know that name. He was also known as Wormtail, and he was the one who betrayed the Potters to Voldemort.” Nearly everyone gasped this time, for they were obviously not used to hearing that name pronounced. “He was a Gryffindor, but he turned dark. He died two years ago.”

A little Gryffindor boy on the second row named Jonathan Imago raised his hand. “I thought it was Sirius Black who betrayed the Potters, Professor,” he said in a quivery voice.

“Ah, you’re rather behind the times, there,” said Tonks. “Common mistake to make though. No, Sirius was innocent “ sometimes things aren’t what they appear to be. Which of course is my whole point. Just because you’re sorted into a particular house, that doesn’t mean there are no other options. You don’t have to be always brave and good just because you’re a Gryffindor, or have your head stuck in a book if you’re a Ravenclaw, be selfish if you’re a Slytherin, and Hufflepuffs are certainly NOT useless.

“Extreme bravery can sometimes become recklessness, and too much ambition can destroy a person. The greatest enemy of them all, however, is prejudice.” Tonks sat down on her chair and promptly slipped off it. “Bugger!” came a muffled mumble from under the desk, and she stood up again. “There’s another reason I’m no longer an Auror,” she said dryly, sitting down properly this time. She leaned back and looked at her watch. “Ah, not even half the lesson has passed… Well, class dismissed anyway. I expect I’ll see you lot next on Tuesday, and we’ll begin with proper lessons then. Play nice!”

*


After dinner that day, Maia went to the Owlery and borrowed a school owl. She had written a letter for her mother.


Dear Mum,

Everything’s fine here. I’m learning lots of new things already and the teachers are nice. I’ve made two friends. They’re called Kristiana and Wiktoria. Kristiana is in my house, Slytherin, but Wiktoria is in Ravenclaw. They are school houses.

I learned today that Slytherin has an ongoing rivalry with another school house called Gryffindor. The last house is called Hufflepuff, but I don’t know anyone from there yet, as we haven’t had any classes together so far.

You don’t need to worry about me. Everyone here is really nice to me, and I’ll get used to all the strange things, and the ghosts, eventually.
Send your reply with this owl; just tell it to wait. Hogwarts doesn’t have an address that I know of, so I don’t think you can send regular mail.

Maia



She addressed it and tied it to the owl’s foot. Then she watched the bird fly off, before returning to the Slytherin common room. There was a book she wanted to read.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=50863