A Forbidden Connection by whittyleah
Summary: It is three weeks after Dumbledore's death, and Hermione Granger is dealing with the betrayal of the man she is secretly in love with, the man who is now her enemy, Severus Snape.





The character death and violence are for later chapters, which cover the final battle.





Chapter 4 is up!
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Student/Teacher Romance, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 13277 Read: 21159 Published: 05/22/06 Updated: 07/04/07

1. Prologue by whittyleah

2. Chapter 1-Will Readings by whittyleah

3. Chapter 2 - Burning Potions by whittyleah

4. Chapter 3 - The Search Begins by whittyleah

5. Chapter 4-Cups and Snakes by whittyleah

6. Chapter 5 - Azkaban by whittyleah

Prologue by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my beta Ginny_W!
The characters and some of the past story lines belong to Jo, I just have my way with them.


Hermione Granger tossed and turned as the nightmare that had been haunting her for the past three weeks interrupted her sleep again. She awoke with a start, and then she began to take deep breaths trying desperately to calm herself down.



'Damn! Go away!' she silently pleaded with the images that haunted her, as she ran her hands through her thick, curly brown hair.



She told herself to forget, that she could not change what had happened. But it didn’t lessen the pain that surrounded her, it didn’t help her forget. Hermione got out of bed as quietly as she could, so as not to wake her friend Ginny Weasley who was sleeping in the bed across from hers.



'I wonder if she would still be my friend if she knew,’ Hermione asked herself as she got dressed.



Shaking her head to try to make sense of the many thoughts cluttering her mind, she silently left the bedroom to creep down the stairs and exit through the backdoor. She inhaled the cold and quiet early morning air as she walked through the Weasley’s garden looking at the world around her. Hermione was unable to resist smiling when she looked at the Burrow; it had to be the oddest house she had ever seen.



'Would I still be welcome here if I told them how I feel?'



She couldn’t help it; tears started streaming down her face. “Stop crying! You’ve done enough of that,” she told herself aloud, hoping it would actually make the tears stop.



'Why did I let this happen? Could I have stopped it? I thought I knew him, why didn’t I see? Why did I let myself fall in love with him?'



All of the questions that she had been trying to ignore came rushing at her. Hermione’s tears turned into sobs and she had to stop walking and sit down on a small bench in the middle of the garden. She thought back to the past year and everything that had happened. For the first time she allowed herself to think of him, her first love. The man she could never see again, the man that was now her enemy.



She thought of her forbidden connection with Severus Snape.



Closing her eyes, Hermione drifted back to time where life wasn’t difficult. Well life was always complicated; you couldn’t be one of Harry Potter’s best friends and have your life not be complicated. But she remembered returning to Hogwarts for her sixth year, excited to learn and to be safe under Dumbledore’s watchful eyes.



’Ha ha, I was mainly worried about test scores, class, Prefect duties, and getting Ron’s attention. I wish that was all I had to worry about now. I wish I had never bumped into him that night!’



But even as she thought it, she knew in her heart that she would never give up the time she spent with him for anything.



She remembered that night so vividly.



She was running down the hall away from the Gryffindor common room, after witnessing Ron and Lavender snogging, feeling distraught.



‘I thought Ron was finally going to grow-up and ask me out! I thought Ron and I were going to finally start a relationship. That prat!’



Hermione had been so preoccupied with her thoughts she had not been looking where she was going and she hadn’t really cared, until she collided with something in her path ” or someone.



The sharp voice of Professor Snape rang in Hermione’s ears. ”Miss Granger, what are you doing out at this time of night? Ten points from Gryffindor for breaking curfew and for clumsiness.”



Hermione, who had her face down the whole time, looked up revealing her teary brown eyes and tear stained face. “FINE, I DON’T CARE! JUST MAKE THIS NIGHT EVEN WORSE THEN IT ALREADY IS!” she screamed at him before pushing past him and continuing to run down the hall.



“Miss Granger! Come back here! You can’t go into that part of the school. Miss Grang… Oh bloody hell,” Snape cursed as started running after her.



By the time he had caught up with Hermione she wasn’t running anymore, she was frozen in fear. Her deep brown eyes were wide open, her mouth was parted slightly, and she was taking in quick breaths trying not panic. Hermione was face-to-face with a creature that had a lion-like face with a dragon-like tail swishing at a slow and steady rhythm it was clearly a Chimaera.



It looked as if it were about to pounce when...



”Petrificus Totalus!” Professor Snape stood just a few feet away from Hermione with his wand pointed directly at the Chimaera, causing it to fall over frozen to the ground.



”Are you all right Miss Granger?”



“I… um… I’m fine,” Hermione stammered as she looked up at him.



”Come with me,” he ordered, as he turned and started walking back down the way they had come.



”Now, what did you think you were doing running down halls and through doors you know nothing about?” Snape sternly asked, as soon as they were safely outside of the

Chimaera’s domain.



”I was just… I’m sorry.” Hermione suddenly burst into tears and walked up to Snape, wrapping her arms around his waist, she continued crying against his chest.



Then Snape did the unthinkable, he wrapped his arms around her, and tried to comfort her.



“Why is that creature in the school anyway?” Hermione asked, looking up at him, as she wiped a tear from her cheek.



“It had been killing unicorns in the forest. Professor Dumbledore was able to trick it into touching a portkey and sending it into that corridor. Where it was going to be kept until the Ministry could send someone from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures to deal with it. That corridor is never used anymore, and students, normally, don’t go in there,” he explained, lifting his thin black eyebrow at the last part.



“I am sorry Professor; I didn’t mean to cause trouble,” she said sheepishly, looking at the floor in-between them.



“Why were you crying?”



Hermione looked up, slightly shocked that he would care about her emotional outburst. “It’s a long story.”



“Well then it’s a good thing that I have all night, Miss Granger. Follow me to my office. I will get you something to wash your face with.”



Hermione watched him as he began to walk away and slowly started to follow him.



‘Who is this man? This isn’t the Professor Snape that I know. I like this new Snape.’ A small smile played on her lips as she followed him down the hall into the dungeons and down to his office.






Authors note:

The Chimaera: “This creature has the head of a lion, the body of a goat and the tail of a dragon. It is extremely dangerous and renowned for its vicious nature. The Chimaera originated in Greece.” As found on Mugglenet.com in the HP encyclopedia under creatures.
Chapter 1-Will Readings by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Huge thanks to my wonderfully amazing beta's Ginny_W and Claraminutes!

Hermione shook her head to try and make the memories go away. ‘You’re in the Weasleys’ garden, not Hogwarts.’



“Hermione, what are you doing out here?” She turned to see Ron Weasley walking towards her.



”Oh! Hi, Ron. I couldn’t sleep. I just needed some fresh air.”



”Yeah, I guess sleep has become harder, hasn’t it?” he asked as he sat down next to her, his fiery red hair shimmering in the early sun light.



”Yeah, a lot harder,” she answered before they fell into a comfortable silence.



”Do you want some tea? I could go make some if you’d like.”



“Sure, Ron. That would be nice.”



The young man’s face broke into grin as he got up from the bench and offered his hand to Hermione to help her up. His face fell again when Hermione ignored his outstretched hand and stood up herself. Noticing the look on his face, she immediately inquired what was wrong.



”Are you still mad at me?” Ron asked in response.



”Mad about what?” Hermione returned.



”You know… about what happened last year, with Lavender.”



”No, Ron. I’m not still mad about that,” she said as she gave him a small smile.



”Well then…” he trailed off, leaning in to kiss her.



”Ron! What are you doing?” Hermione asked, stepping away from him.



”I thought…”



”You thought wrong! At the beginning of last year maybe, but now... Things are just too complicated, too messed up,” she said with tears forming in her eyes. “Look, Ron, I’m sorry. It’s just that right now isn’t a good time for this.”



”Yeah, well... How about that tea?” Ron tried to smile, but failed miserably.



_____________________________________________________________________________





Two days later Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat in the living room at the Burrow watching the madness that surrounded them with amusement and a little fear.



”Are weddings always this hectic?” Ginny asked as she giggled at her older brother Charlie’s face when their mother had tightened his tie too tight.



”I hope not. If my wedding is like this, then I’m just not getting married,” Ron replied.



”Who would marry you anyway?” came two mischievous voices from the doorway.



”Yeah, imagine the Galleons you would have to pay for all the mental treatments that woman

would need?” asked one of these voices.



”Oh shut-up, Fred!” Ron yelled, as his face turned bright red.



”Someone's sensitive,” the other one, George, teased. Ron just sat with his arms crossed and jaw set, glaring at the wall.



”Will you two ever let up on him?” Hermione asked the red-headed twins, who were whispering to each other.



”Um… no,” they both said in unison, before they left the room. Hermione rolled her eyes and returned her attention to the hustle and bustle of the house.



”He should be here by now, right?” Ginny asked impatiently, looking at her watch.



”They have to take extra precautions with his transportation. You know that, Ginny. So,

just relax. He’ll be here soon.” Even as she reassured her friend, Hermione felt a twinge in her stomach, like something bad was about to happen.



”What are you three doing, sitting and staring into nothingness for?” a voice from the doorway asked.



”HARRY!” all three of them said at the same time, as they jumped up and ran up to him. Harry Potter stood just inside the doorway with his mess of black hair and glasses slightly at an angle on his face. Hermione got to him first, giving him a hug, which he returned with his trademark sad smile. Ron got to him next; they both shook hands then did that whole manly ‘shake hands, then with your free hand hug’ thing that boys do. Hermione rolled her eyes at the two of them, ‘Such boys.’



Then it was Ginny’s turn, she stood in front of Harry not knowing what to do. Harry stood there looking like a nervous wreck. He slowly stepped up to Ginny and pulled her into a gentle and very quick hug. They parted, both with deep red faces, looking at their shoes.



“Harry, you’re here!” shrieked Mrs. Weasley. She gave Harry a life-taking hug and then shooed them all into the kitchen.



“Are you hungry? You look like you haven’t eaten in weeks!” Mrs. Weasley fretted as she started piling food in front of them, putting extra in front of Harry.



”How have you been, Mrs. Weasley?” Harry asked politely as he started shoveling food into his mouth.



”Oh fine, Harry. It has just been a bit hectic around here.” Ron snorted nearly spitting out the food that was in his mouth. Mrs. Weasley ignored him and continued on, “Everything with the wedding: having to make sure the boys dress robes fit, putting the flower arrangements together, and about a hundred other things. Oh, and preparing for the Order meeting tonight just adds to it.”



”There’s an Order meeting tonight?” Harry asked as he stopped eating to stare at Mrs. Weasley and then Ron and Hermione who were sitting across from him at the table.



“Yes, it’s to read Professor Dumbledore’s will. You four will all be there,” she said as she turned and looked out the window she seemed like she was going to say more but something else grabbed her attention.



“Fred and George Weasley! Put that down right this instant!” Mrs. Weasley yelled as she walked out of the house toward the twins who were spraying a florescent blue liquid on a garden gnome that looked as if it was about to have a heart attack.



”All four? That means I have to be there too?” Ginny asked, staring at the soup in front of her.



”Yeah, I just wonder why we have to be there at all,” Harry muttered, with a look of slight confusion evident in his green eyes.



_____________________________________________________________________________





Later that night Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Ginny sat in Ron’s bedroom waiting to be called down to the Order meeting that was taking place in the Weasleys’ kitchen.



“How much longer is it going to be?” Harry asked impatiently, as he stood to pace.



”I wonder why we have to be there for the reading of Dumbledore’s will, anyway,” Ron mused, falling backwards to lie on his bed.



”Well, obviously we are in his will somehow, Ronald.” Hermione glared from her perch on Ron’s desk in the corner.



“I just wonder why he would put us in his will. He would have had to have added us recently. Did he know this was going to happen, did he know about Snape?” Harry was talking more to himself, then anyone else.



Hermione’s stomach twisted at these words, ‘I know that Severus knew something was going to happen that night.’ She took a deep breath and tried to push her thoughts of him away.



The door to Ron’s bedroom opened, announcing the arrival of Charlie Weasley. ”We’re ready for you now.”



Once they were all seated at the table, Professor McGonagall cleared her throat to get

everyone’s attention, though it wasn’t really necessary.



“Let us begin. I think we should cut through the pleasantries and get to business. Make this as painless as possible.” Everyone nodded.



“We will begin the reading now, Kingsley.” McGonagall motioned to the tall, dark-skinned wizard at the head of the table.



”First, Albus wanted to thank you all, not only for being good friends, but for being like his family.” Kingsley cleared his throat before continued to read.



“To Minerva McGonagall, I leave most my library collection, my collection of Transfigured collectables, and my broken tea set.” Professor McGonagall laughed, and muttered, “he

would.”



“To the Order of the Phoenix, I leave all my Anti-Dark Magic items and my volumes on Defense Against the Dark Arts,” Kingsley continued with a deep breath.



”To the Weasley family, I leave all of the wealth I have accumulated over my life, but was never able to spend. I know you will use it well.” Molly and Arthur Weasley looked like they were shock, “Oh my!” was all Mrs. Weasley could say.



“To Miss Hermione Granger, I leave the rest of my library collection. I know you will use it well, to learn and to help your friends. I also leave you with the Contego Stone, there was only one made by a great roman wizard who lived long ago. This stone will help you protect those you love; you can read all about the stone in the books I left you.” Hermione tried not to, but tears started falling from her brown eyes. ‘I don’t deserve anything from him.’ She quickly tried to calm her tears and her thoughts.



”To Mister Ron Weasley, I leave my collection of spiders.” Ron’s eyes looked as though they were going to pop out of his head until Kingsley uttered the words, “Just kidding.” Ron exhaled the breath he had been holding. Harry, Hermione, and the rest of the Weasleys chuckled.



“I really leave the young Mr. Weasley, my vast collection of candy, and more importantly the Amicus Stone. This stone is very rare. It can only be worn by those who are a fierce and loyal friend. Its exact abilities were never fully uncovered, but it will give you strength when you need it and can help get you and your friends out of a jam, if need be.” Ron nodded trying to take this new information in.



”To Miss Ginerva Weasley I leave two things. First, I leave the diaries of Leandra Gryffindor. She was the wife of Godric Gryffindor, she was a brave and loving woman, you two would have gotten along nicely, I think. I leave you these so you can learn from them. Second, I leave you the Lugo Stone, this stone is one of two it connects the people wearing them. It gives the wearers strength, and if the person wearing the other stone is someone you care about and they are in danger or pain you will know, you can feel them and help them.”



“To Mister Harry Potter I leave the second Lugo Stone, again it will give you strength, and will connect you to Miss Weasley, so you will know when she is in trouble. Secondly, I leave you my Pensieve and the memories we watched together. I also leave many more vials of memories for you to watch, to aid you in your search. But, you will not be given these vials at the end of my will reading like you will the Lugo Stone and Pensieve. To get the new memories you must return to Hogwarts for your seventh and final year. I have given Minerva instructions about what to do. When you return to Hogwarts you will be given three vials for every month you complete. You have permission to leave Hogwarts on the weekends for your search, but you must return for classes on Monday. You must agree to this plan, and sign a contract. If you agree to this, and you leave Hogwarts and do not return by the end of the weekend, midnight on Sunday, you will be forcefully pulled back to Hogwarts and will lose the ability to leave Hogwarts for the weekend. Actually, you will not be able to leave the castle until you graduate. If you have any questions regarding this please ask Professor McGonagall.”



“Please do not be saddened by my departure from this life, I am in a happier place. If my death was not a natural one, please do not hold hate inside of you for that person. To be filled with hate is to have no room left for love. Without love we are nothing. Please love as much as you can, try to find love for everyone, even the ones who seem the hardest to love. I wish you all happy and complete lives. You are all in my heart forever, wherever I am.”



Kingsley stopped reading and put the scroll down, wiping a tear from his eye. The room was dead quiet, as everyone was imprinting what Dumbledore had told on their hearts. Harry broke the silence.



“I will try professor, but I doubt I will ever find love for Severus Snape in my heart. I’m sorry.”



Hermione’s heart broke even more at these words, she could no longer take it, and she ran from the kitchen and up to her room. She flung herself on her bed as memories swarmed her: The night she collided with him, speaking with him in his office, and how amazing he was. She hadn’t wanted to talk about why she was crying, and he didn’t press the subject. Instead they had discussed the book he was reading.



"You read Shakespeare, Professor?" Hermione looked at him in wonder.



"I don't stir caldron's all day, Miss Granger." He smirked.



"Macbeth, I didn't like this one," she said as she leafed through the book she picked up off his desk.



"Macbeth is Shakespeare's greatest work," he corrected.



"No, Hamlet is his greatest work," she retorted rather heatedly. He lifted an eyebrow at her in response.



"Oh, um, Professor, I'm sorry. I didn’t mean to be disrespectful. I get a little competitive. I guess that's what you'd call it, when it comes to literature." She looked up at him apologetically.



"It's fine, Miss Granger. I'm actually a bit taken aback, I didn't think any student here would have read both Hamlet and Macbeth, it's not required reading here as in Muggle schools." He continued to look at her with that eyebrow raised. “Why, Miss Granger, do you think Hamlet is his greatest work? Please speak freely." He waved his hand for her to sit.




They then had a battle of wits to see who was right about Shakespeare’s greatest tragic work. They had a good old fashion debate on many different forms of literature; they tied as the winner on most. It surprised her how easily their thought processes worked off the others. She was also shocked at how easily she could combat his ideas and tell him point blank that she thought he was wrong. Professor Snape was so different outside of class, it was almost disconcerting. He wasn’t sweet, by any means, but when he was in a less stressful situation that didn’t demand that he be in control, he was refined and less domineering. This new version of him or other version was almost attractive. Then she had mentally kicked herself for thinking it. She cried harder as she remembered his words after he had finally talked her into telling him why she had been crying that night.



“There is something you must learn about boys, Miss Granger, they are all moronic imbeciles.” She bit back a laugh, uncertain at his reaction.



“Does that mean you’re stupid, Professor?” she asked with a slightly cheeky grin, not knowing if he would get mad at the question.



“No. I’m not a boy,” he sneered.



“You’re a girl? I would have never known,” she said, faking shock, gaining a bit of courage at his response. She was amazed at herself for speaking to him the way she did, but she had found it easy for her to speak to him that night.



“Funny, Miss Granger, funny. I’m a man not a boy.”



“Why aren’t you like this all the time?” she had to ask.



His facial expression changed, he looked as if he was in deep thought before he said, “I think it is time you returned to your dormitory, Miss Granger.” His voice had changed, from the easy, nearly teasing back to almost harsh.



“Of course, Professor, thank you.” She felt sad that the she had ruined the moment; she would have given anything to take the words back and have him civil again.



“Do not let me catch you running in the halls again, Miss Granger, and five points from Gryffindor for trying to maim a teacher.” He smirked, the coldness of his words not reaching his eyes.



“Yes sir, thank you again.” She gave a small curtsy. “Good night, Professor.”



He nodded to her as she left the room.




She had stopped crying, and was now allowing herself some time with her memories. The times she was happy with him, the times she wished she could return to. Maybe there was something she missed, something she could have changed. There had to be something she missed, somehow she could have stopped all this pain. ‘If only you had opened your eyes, Hermione.’ This was her last thought as she drifted into sleep.

Chapter 2 - Burning Potions by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Thank you, GinnyW and ClaraMinutes, my beautiful betas! Please tell me what you think!
~~~~~


Alone in a damp dark dungeon somewhere in England, Severus Snape was brewing a potion for his master. The potion itself was not difficult to make, but when heating it, one had to be careful. He had ruined it twice already by not paying attention during the heating process. His mind kept wandering to a certain brown haired, brown-eyed Gryffindor. ‘Focus, Severus, this will only take you fifteen minutes if you just focus.’



But try as he may, he couldn’t get her off his mind. He had taught at Hogwarts for seventeen years, and every once and awhile there would be a student that he found attractive. Not that he ever acted on those attractions, at least not until her.



He remembered the first time he had seen her, a tiny first year, looking terrified as she sat to be Sorted. He remembered wondering what that hair looked like in the morning after she woke up. Not in a sexual way mind you, she was only eleven, it was just he had never seen hair that thick and bushy. He remembered the first class he had taught with her in it, mainly because he was excited to torment the young Potter, son of his own tormentor. She was the only student he had ever taught who had memorized the textbook before coming to class. He was surprised and impressed by her knowledge and understanding for someone so young, but she was a Gryffindor, so he never let it show. After awhile, her know-it-all ways became annoying, and he started to enjoy tormenting her like all the rest. Then it happened; she collided with him while she was running away from that idiot Weasley. He had to run after her. She was a student, he was a teacher, and she was running into danger. He had no idea that in a split second she would break down all the walls he had spent his whole life building.



After being raised in a home with a father who enjoyed using his only son as punching bag, and a mother who did nothing to stop it, he was searching for something or someone who would show him what love was. When he got his letter to Hogwarts, he was ecstatic. Finally, he thought he would have friends and people who cared about him. His first day stepping off the train, he looked at Hogwarts in the distance, excitement bubbling through him and he smiled. His excitement was soon squashed by two boys with black hair. One had long, sleek black hair and grey eyes, the other had messy black hair and hazel eyes. Severus had bumped into the one with the sleek hair.





“What’s this? James, look at this kid. He looks like he’s been dunked head first into a vat of grease.” The kid let out a bark like laugh. The other boy, who Severus guessed was James, came over and stood next to them.



Severus tried to laugh the comment off, “Yes, well, you can’t choose what you inherit from your parents, unfortunately.” He looked down, a little uncomfortable; he wasn’t used to being around kids his own age.



“His parents must be really ugly then. Aye, Sirius?” James laughed, acting as if Severus couldn’t hear them. Severus’ face burned red as he stared at his feet, not understanding why they were being mean to him.



“Oh, is the little grease monkey embarrassed?” Sirius taunted.



“My…My name is Severus.” He stammered.



“Severus! What were your parents thinking naming you that? They must be as stupid as they are ugly.” Sirius let out another bark like laugh. Severus started walking away while trying to stop the tears that were threatening to come.



“Oh, is little Severus crying?” James asked as he and Sirius followed him toward the boats.



“No, James, not Severus ” Snivellus!” Sirius said in triumph at his own brilliance.



“Oh, yes, little, crying Snivellus!” James laughed.



All Severus wanted to do was leave, to be anywhere but there. Severus ran and got into a boat that could only hold one more, so his two new ’friends’ couldn’t follow him. As the boat started floating toward Hogwarts, Severus heard the laughter of James and Sirius coming from the boat next to him, he turned and saw that they had found two other students to befriend.



‘You’re such an idiot! Why would you ever think that anyone would want to be friends with you? You’re a half-blood who can’t get his own parents to love him.’




Severus brushed the memories away as he stopped the potion from burning just in time. Thinking about his grand childhood would not help him focus on his potion. He needed to think about his potion, but instead his mind wandered back to the night Hermione Granger collided with him in the hallway. After he had saved her from the Chimaera, she had started crying on him. He was shocked when she had chosen him to cry on, and to find comfort in. She could have gone back to her common room and had one of her friends make her feel better, but instead she had wrapped her arms around him. Something in him had broken; she was so vulnerable and innocent. She wasn’t repulsed by him ” something pure wasn’t disgusted by him. Nothing innocent or vulnerable had ever felt it could come near him, not since he was twelve.



That is when he had decided, when he had changed. No one would ever hurt him again. He froze himself inside; if he couldn’t feel anything, no one could make him feel pain. At the age of twelve, it seemed like a good plan. His parents could no longer hurt him, at least not emotionally. And his school tormentors couldn’t hurt him either. Along with shutting down his emotions came not being able to feel empathy for another person. Innocence could sense that he had shut-off his soul, and the innocent stayed away from him. That was until that night just months ago when innocence had returned to him. He had felt the oddest thing when she wrapped her arms around him, it was as though she had connected with a part of him that he never knew he had, a part that could still feel.



After bringing her back to his office, she had seen the book he had been reading before going on his nightly rounds. She had been surprised that he read Shakespeare; he realized she was trying not to talk about why she had been crying that night, so he began to debate with her on whether or not Hamlet was Shakespeare’s best tragic work. After awhile, he had gotten her to tell him why she had been crying. That imbecile Weasley had hurt her by kissing another girl right in front of her, after making her believe he had feelings for her. Tears had started forming in her eyes, and the newly re-found part of him couldn’t stand to see innocence cry, so he tried to make her laugh. It had worked, it also caused her to say something that made him realize he was acting and talking without his walls up. He quickly threw them back up and told her to leave. He could tell by her eyes that she was sad he was acting this way again, but he had to protect himself. She got up to leave, curtsied, and said thank you.



He didn’t sleep at all that night; he just stared at the ceiling above his bed, and thought about her and what had happened. He decided to act as if it had never happened. It was better to be just as, if not more, cold to her. He would not let a little know-it-all Gryffindor destroy the defenses he had spent so much time building.





“Today we will be talking about the wizard who created the vampire detection devise, and why it is so important to a wizard.” He looked over his Defense Against the Dark Arts class the Monday after the incident with Hermione.



“Does anyone know the name of this wizard?” True to form, Hermione Granger’s hand shot up, “Anyone besides Miss Granger?” He rolled his eyes and nodded to Hermione.



“I don’t know if I’m pronouncing this right, Professor, but his name was Eldrin Betelgeuse.” She said making Bet-el-guess-say sound like Bet-ill-guess-say.



“Miss Granger, if you are going to say something in my class make sure you know how to say it properly, that way you don’t sound like a slow, dim-witted moron who can’t string a proper sentence together. Ten points from Gryffindor for not knowing how to say a simple word, and its pronounced Bet-el-guess-say,” he said with the vilest smirk he could muster to throw at her. Hermione’s eyes filled with tears and she looked down at her desk.



‘You idiot, you made her cry! You were supposed to make her stay away from you, not break her in front of everyone.’



He continued class acting as though she meant nothing, after class when all his students left a feeling of loss filled him. He sat at his desk grading a stack of essays that were in front of him or trying to grade them. His head lifted at a sound in the doorway, Hermione stood there looking at him.



“Professor, I had a question about the chapter for next class, may I come in?” she asked with no emotion on her face or in her voice.



“Of course, Miss Granger, what is your question?” He leaned back in his chair and laced his hands in front of him.



“I have two actually; the first is the fall of the Dark wizard Crean what is the date of that event? And the second is why do you have to be so mean?” Her eyes flashed at him with the second question. He stood from his chair, both hands on his desk he leaned forward to answer.



“To your first question, Miss Granger, 1345 AD. To your second, I am your teacher with that comes a certain amount of respect. You have no right to ask such a question, even if

I did make you uncomfortable in my class.”



“I don’t understand you. I get a glimpse of your human side only to get the wrath of your foul, inhuman side.”



“You have no right to speak to me this way, Miss Granger, now leave,” he hissed at her.



“I showed you respect by not retorting your comments in class! If you think that we shouldn’t have spoken so freely to one another and that we should keep our distance, I understand. Just don’t be so cruel about it!” Tears filled her eyes, as she gave Severus a penetrating glare. When he didn’t answer, she spun around and stalked out of the classroom.




“Damn it!” Severus yelled as the potion turned a murky black color showing that he, again, had burned it. “I’m getting as bad as Longbottom."
Chapter 3 - The Search Begins by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Thank you, Ginny_W and Claraminutes for being amazing betas!

I am not JK Rowling! If I were JK, I won't be wearing twelve dollar Super Wal-Mart jeans. Super Wal-Mart, where, while you get your tires rotated, you can buy a bra, tomatoes, a blender and a fish.
_________________________________________________________________________
Hermione slumped over, resting her head on her forearms, which were lying on the table. Surrounding her on the table were stacks upon stacks of books. She pulled her head up and looked around her at the shelves of books in the Hogwarts library.

“Help me! Show me what I’m missing!” Part of her felt like an idiot for talking to rows of books, but another part of her just wanted answers. It was one month into her seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The last two months had been a blur.

After the reading of Dumbledore’s will, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny decided to do what Dumbledore had wanted them to do ” return to Hogwarts. The next day, they sat and figured out a plan for the beginning of their search. It had been an interesting day. Harry told Ginny that she wasn’t part of their mission and got a hand across his face, he had the red mark on his cheek for a week. They fought for most of the day. That was until Harry tried to get Mrs. Weasley on his side. She told him that Dumbledore wanted Ginny to be part of whatever they were doing or he wouldn’t have made her part of his will the way he did. Watching her, one could tell it hurt her to say this. She was giving up her youngest child, her baby for the fight. Every night the group stayed at the Burrow she gave them huge hugs whenever possible. Harry finally agreed to allow Ginny to help, but if anything became too dangerous she had to leave them. Hermione smiled at how silly Harry was, as if Ginny would actually listen to him when that time came.

The rest of the time spent there was in preparation for Bill and Fleur’s wedding, and Mrs. Weasley put them to work. Hermione and Ginny helped with the flowers, food, and dresses. The boys helped with setting up the backyard where the ceremony was going to take place. That kept them busy for the next two weeks, and then for the couple days after the wedding they helped clean. Then came the day they left, it was quiet that morning when they woke-up. It was almost eerie to hear the Burrow quiet. Mrs. Weasley tried to keep her tears at bay, but they spilled over just as the group was about to Floo to number twelve, Grimmauld Place. She had held each of them, holding on to Ron and Ginny the longest.

When they finally got to what was now Harry’s home, and where they would all be staying for the remainder of the summer, they went back over the plan.


“We need to figure out who R.A.B. is, then after we get back from my parents old home and their graves we need to find the Horcrux and destroy it,” Harry said as they sat in the kitchen drinking tea just an hour after they arrived.

“I know who it is,” Ginny said in a matter-of-fact voice. They all looked at her with a look of bewilderment on their faces. “Follow me.”

They followed her into the living room, and up to the Black family tree. She pointed near the bottom right next to where Sirius’ name had been.

“Regulus Amberlin Black,” Hermione read aloud with a gasp.

“And you said you wouldn’t need me.” Ginny shot a cheeky grin at Harry.


They left for Godric's Hollow later that night. The trip was tense and sad; Harry didn't talk much and no one else knew what to say. They visited his parent's old home, where they were killed, and then visited their graves. Hermione couldn't tell who was in more pain, Harry, for being where his parents had been killed or Ginny, for wanting to make Harry feel better but couldn't.

After returning from visiting Godric’s Hollow, they had searched the house from top to bottom, not turning up a thing. Ginny again saved them, she told Harry to ask Kreacher if there was a locket in the house. He did and in less then a minute the locket was in Harry’s hand as Kreacher mumbled about how a blood traitor shouldn’t be touching his former master’s belongings. Harry destroyed it with a flourish, obviously enjoying every second of doing so.

They spent the rest of their time there cleaning and going through the Blacks' extensive library. They searched for anything having to do with the Dark Lord or Horcruxes. Hermione was shocked at the Dark Arts books they had, most were outlawed centuries ago. They used Harry’s inherited Pensieve to go over and over all the memories they had, trying to find clues that would help them. They continued this after they returned to Hogwarts.

They used the library for research, and on the weekends went through the Blacks' library more. They were waiting for the new memories they would receive to give them an idea were to turn next.

Hermione was worn out. She went to class, did her homework, and then did research for the hunt. She had pulled many all-nighters this past month and they were starting to get her. She rubbed her eyes and looked back down at the paper in front of her.

Possible Horcrux Hiding Places:

Riddle House
Hogwarts
Chamber of Secrets
Orphanage where Tom Riddle grew up
Grimmauld Place
Trusted Death Eater homes


“Is there anywhere else you can think of?” she asked a stack of books to her left.

“No, my mind is mush,” the stack answered.

“I think we should go get some sleep, maybe then our minds will start working again.”

“Alright, let’s go.” Harry stood up from behind the pile of books and stretched. Hermione looked like she wanted to say something, but bit her tongue.

“What? I saw that look, what do you want to know?” Harry squinted at her as they began to walk out of the library.

“What is going on with you and Ginny? She told me you two kissed the other day, but that you won’t get back into a relationship with her.” Hermione stared at him as though trying to read his mind.

“I shouldn’t have kissed her, it was stupid of me. Right now isn’t a good time for a romance. And if…” Harry trailed off.

“And if you were officially dating her Voldemort will try to use her against you,” Hermione finished for him.

“Yeah, it’s hard, having her within my reach yet so far away.” He sighed.

“You’re not protecting her by pushing her away. You’re simply hurting her. She’s already in danger just being alive in this day and age. She’s a ‘blood traitor,’ she is the daughter of people trying to stop him. Just because of those things he would try to hurt her. Just because of those things she could die. Look, I’m not going to tell you what to do; I just don’t understand why you are putting yourself through this. Being with her isn’t going to put her into anymore danger then she already is, so go make both of you happy and push her against a wall and snog her senseless,” she breathlessly finished.

“I thought you said you weren’t going to tell me what to do,” Harry said with a grin, his grin slipped away as he continued, “I don’t know. Part of me knows all that, but part of me would never forgive myself if he hurt her trying to get to me.”

“So you would rather it be you doing the hurting?”

“I would rather she not feel any pain, but I doubt anyone will have that luxury,” he answered as they stepped up to the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Don’t you want her to be happy, even if it is for only a short time? She is going to feel pain, she already has. Why not give her joy too?” Hermione asked as she walked through the hole after Harry gave the password. Harry stood outside staring after her, a look of deep thought on his face.

Hermione climbed the stairs to the girls’ dormitories; while Hermione went one storey higher to the Head Girl’s suite. She had been shocked when she was given the title and had almost turned it down. That is until Professor McGonagall told her that the day before he died Dumbledore he had dubbed her the next Head Girl of Hogwarts and he had been very excited about it. Class, homework, special defense classes with Lupin once a week, researching Voldemort and his Horcruxes, and three meetings a week with Prefects and professors, she was about to go mad. Not to mention that she, Harry, Ron, and Ginny were to start Occlumency in a couple weeks with Kingsley Shacklebolt.

‘A long hot bath, a nice Muggle novel that doesn’t need the use of any brain cells to read, that sounds like heaven,’ Hermione thought as she filled her bath with hot water and began taking her clothes off.

She slowly stepped into the steaming tub, as a sigh escaped her lips. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep just a few moments later.


“Excuse me, Professor. I didn’t know anyone would be in here,” Hermione said as she walked into the Potions lab just off to the side of the main Potions room.

“This is a community Potions lab, Miss Granger.”

“Of course.” Hermione sat her book bag down at a work station. “May I ask why you’re using the students’ free Potions room?”

“If you must know Professor Slughorn took over my private labs when he became the Potions professor again,” Severus Snape replied, not looking at her, but at the potion in front of him.

“Oh…” She fiddled with the ingredients in front of her and then cleared her throat. “About that day after your class when I yelled at you…”

“I don’t care, Miss Granger. I know that Gryffindors are not skilled when it comes to patience or tact,” he sneered.

“It was wrong of me to yell at you, I was angry at you for being cruel. You’re my professor, and shouldn’t have disrespected you like that,” Hermione said as she turned to face him.

“Again, Miss Granger, I don’t…” But he didn’t get to finish his sentence, because Hermione cut him off.

“After that night I thought, I don’t know… that I had almost found a kindred spirit. You’re the only person I’ve meet in the wizarding world that knew more about Shakespeare than, ‘he’s the guy who wrote about the two dead love people,’” she continued, looking at her hands.

“Two dead love people?” He looked at her, lifting an eyebrow.

“That’s Ron for Romeo and Juliet,” Hermione responded with a crooked grin.

“Well that explains that,” he quipped, turning back to his potion. It was silent in the room for a few minutes as the pair worked on their respective potions.

“What are you working on?” Hermione asked, desperate to make conversation.

“I’m making the Draught of Peace, and yourself?”

“I’m making Amortentia. I’m thinking about taking Advanced Potions classes after Hogwarts, and Professor Slughorn told me to get into any good potion program I have to be able to make it all by myself.”

“He’s right, but knowing how to make Polyjuice Potion is of higher priority. Wait, you already know how to make Polyjuice Potion don’t you, Miss Granger?” He turned to her with a twisted grin on his face.

“I…don’t uh…know what you’re talking about, Professor.” Hermione gave him the most innocent look she could muster.

“I’m a Legilimens, Miss Granger, and you’re a horrible liar. It’s a good thing Potter or Weasley do the lying for your little trio,” he hissed as he turned back to his potion.

“How does one learn that anyway?”

“Learn how to lie, Miss Granger?”

“Legilimency,” she said matter-of-factly, looking at him intently.

“You have someone teach you, like everything else.”

“I’m serious, who taught you? Why did you learn? How long did it take to master? When…”

“Miss Granger, one question at a time, why do you think I’m making Draught of Peace?” He gave her a pointed look.

“Sorry, who taught you?”

“An older Slytherin, he believed I needed to learn it, so I did.”

“Okay, how long did it take you to master?”

“About two years, but I was a natural at it. For most it takes much longer, at least six years,” he replied as he added an ingredient to his potion.

“How could I learn?” Hermione asked as she came to the edge of his work space.

“You would need a teacher who could handle your verbal onslaughts and one who is advanced in their knowledge of it,” he replied, not looking at her.

“Will you teach me?” At this he looked up at her, staring at her with those dark unreadable eyes.

“I doubt you would want to spend more time with me then you have to, Miss Granger.”

“When you’re being nice, like now, I actually like you. That didn’t come out right, but you understand what I’m trying to saying, right? Anyway, I want someone who is gifted with it, not just knowledgeable and you just said you are a natural at it.”

“You have an amazing gift of painting people into corners, Miss Granger,” Severus snarled, exasperated. “But, I will not teach you.”

“Why the bloody hell not?”

“Ten points from Gryffindor for inappropriate language, Miss Granger. And you would need special permission from the Headmaster, and he doesn’t like students learning something that powerful until they have finished Hogwarts.”

“Then I will just have ask him, won’t I?” she retorted as she walked back to her work table to work on her potion.

“Even if you got his permission, you still need someone to teach you, Miss Granger,” he sneered, shooting her a glare before turning his attention back to his potion.

“Why won’t you teach me?”

“Because I value my sanity. I already have to live with your incessant questioning during my N.E.W.T. class, the last thing I need is more of you,” he disparaged.

“What ever you say, professor,” she simpered in a sing-song voice that made his hair stand on end. She was obviously up to something.



“This is outrageous, Albus! There is no way that I will teach her Legilimency,” Severus Snape bellowed as he stood in the middle of Albus Dumbledore’s office, glaring at the headmaster.

“I believe that Miss Granger is fully capable of keeping good grades and taking Legilimency classes at the same time. And you, Severus, are the only who is gifted enough in it to teach it,” Professor Dumbledore calmly replied.

“Why don’t you teach her?” One could literally see the smoke rising from him as he glared at the headmaster, then at Hermione who sat in a chair just an arms length from him. She tried to give him an innocent look that read, ‘I had nothing to do with this’, but he wasn’t stupid. He knew she had everything to do with this.


Hermione shot up out of the tub with a jolt; the water had gone cold.

'How long have I been asleep?' She threw on her robe and walked into her room. 3:13 AM, her clock read on her side table. Quickly drying herself off, she put on an over-sized t-shirt with a Muggle band on the front as her pajamas. She climbed into bed and soon fell back to sleep.


"Legilimency is an art form, it takes great levels of concentration and calm," Severus explained as he paced in front of her in his empty Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. "There is no foolish wand waving in this discipline."

He took a seat across from her and took a deep breath; she mimicked him. He raised an eyebrow at her, she lifted hers in return. His eyes rolled as he straightened in his seat, Hermione, again, did as he did.

"Will you stop that?" he demanded while glaring at her.

"Well, you're not telling me what to do. So, I'm just doing what you do," she retorted.

"Does that mean if I jump off the roof you will too?" he mocked, his glare softening a little.

"Um... no."

"Pity," he sneered. "Very well, let's begin. Close your eyes, and relax, take deep breaths."

She did as she was told allowing his deep, rich voice to calm her. Hermione allowed her mind to wander, exploring the day before, she stopped herself from giggling when a memory of Ginny getting angry and telling Ron to go snog Harry popped into her mind.

"First, you must learn to control your own mind before you can learn to peer into others. Keeping your emotions in check is key to control. Don't allow yourself to be pulled into an emotional current. Try to put the thought you want the person trying to get your mind to see at the front of your mind. Now open your eyes." He looked into her soulful brown eyes and peered into her mind.

'Isn't this Occlumency?'

"Nice, Miss Granger, nice. Very few are able to project a thought like that." He grudgingly admitted.

"Thank you, Professor. But isn't this Occlumency?" Hermione inquired again.

"If you can't shut your mind down to intruders, then you can't become the intruder yourself."

"Right, of course, I'm sorry for interrupting." A look of concentration graced her face again. "Please, continue the lesson."

He glared at her as he continued. "All right, let's continue the breathing exercises..."


"It's time to get up, time to get up!" Hermione felt herself being pulled from her dream as her wand kept screaming at her to wake. 'Learning that Alarm Charm sounded good at the time, but now it's just getting annoying,' she thought as she sat up in her bed, rubbing her eyes, trying to wake-up. Memories of her dream came back

"I forgot about that; he was so angry, he looked like he was going to explode," she started giggling. The giggle soon turned into a sob as other memories assaulted her. Her eyes closed, as she remembered his voice and began doing as it told her. 'Close your eyes, and relax, take deep breaths.' When she started to feel better, she got out of bed and thought of him as she got ready for the day.
Chapter 4-Cups and Snakes by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Big thanks to the greatest betas in all the world: Ginny_W and Claraminutes!

I own nothing! Except the deranged plot ideas that JK would never use! :D
"All right, so does everyone agree with the Hogsmeade alternative?" Hermione asked the group of Prefects and professors in front of her.

Nods and mummers of agreement came from around the room.

"Okay then, next meeting is on Monday. I'll see you all then!" She smiled at the small group as she started gathering her things.

"Miss Granger, may I have a word with you?" Headmistress McGonagall asked as they exited the room.

"Yes, of course, Professor."

They walked to the Headmistress' office. Hermione noted that the room looked different from when Dumbledore had been the Headmaster. The room was still the same colours and similar furniture to how Dumbledore had decorated the circular room, but Quidditch memorabilia replaced his knickknacks and odd objects.

"You have been working very hard these last few months. You have stayed at the top of all your class, helped Mr. Potter with his search and have done all your Head Girl duties in an innovative way that keeps today's limitations in mind without troubling the students about them."

"Thank you, Professor," Hermione answered, a little confused as to why she had been called to her office.

“I have also noticed that you seem tired. Is this all too much for you? A lot has happened over these past few months,” McGonagall said as she peered over her spectacles at Hermione.

“I’m fine, Professor.”

“Are you sure?”

“It is overwhelming at times. Nevertheless, I deal with it. A lot has happened, and a lot is happening. Overall, I am fine,” Hermione reassured her.

“All right, Miss Granger. But, if anything starts to get to be too much, let me know. Have a good day; I know you will be busy with the memories.”

“Thank you, Professor,” Hermione said as she picked up her bag and exited down the spiral staircase.

She started down the portrait-lined hallway towards the Room of Requirement. Her tired mind wandered…


“I just wish Harry wasn’t so overly suspicious of Professor Snape. Dumbledore trusts him; therefore, we should as well,” Hermione explained to Luna Lovegood as they stood guard down the hall from Severus Snape’s office.

Before Luna could respond, they heard someone running and muttering to himself.

“Death Eaters in Hogwarts! Must get Severus!” Professor Flitwick scurried past them, down the hall and into Snape’s office.

Luna and Hermione looked at each other and ran down the hall towards the room Professor Flitwick had just entered. Just as they reached the door, Severus Snape walked from the room.

“Professor Snape, where is Professor Flitwick?” Luna asked in a winsome voice as she pushed a strand of blonde hair from her blue eyes.

“He is inside; he seems to have fainted,” Professor Snape replied with a sneer.

Luna hurried into the room, leaving Hermione alone with the Potions professor.

Severus started to walk away, but then he stopped and turned on his heel.

“Things are going to get rough, Miss Granger. Stay away from the action if you can.”

“I will help my friends, Professor,” she answered.

“Now is not the time for Gryffindor heroics! Stay away from danger at all costs!” he growled. Pausing, he took a deep breath and looked at her with softer eyes. “Don’t do anything impetuous.” His black eyes bore into her brown ones, causing her to shudder.

“Profess…Professor…” she started.

“Don’t do anything impetuous,” he repeated with intensity in his eyes and voice.

Hermione nodded, and then he turned and walked away.

“Hermione! Professor Flitwick won’t wake up,” Luna’s voice called.

Hermione regained her senses and ran into the dark dungeon office. Running around a desk, she made it to the front of the room and knelt next Luna. Taking out her wand, she cast a few charms over the small man to see what was wrong with him.

“Wait, this can’t be right. He’s been…” Hermione looked up at Luna and then towards the door she had just entered. “He didn’t… he wouldn’t… why would he?”


Hermione stopped walking and entered a small alcove devoid of nosey portraits. She sat down on the cold, stone ground and took several deep breaths.

‘Why do you do this to yourself? There was nothing you could do! If you had known, you would have stopped it! But you didn’t know!’ she thought as she rested her head in her hands. ‘No more guilt! You did nothing wrong! You can’t know everything, especially not about Severus Snape. This pity party is over! Life is stressful enough without it. Life has to go on.’

Lifting her head up, she sat up straight and steadied herself. With a confident nod, she stood and rearranged her brown curls. Grabbing her book bag, she continued on her way.

Arriving at the Room of Requirement, Hermione closed her eyes and thought about what she wanted while pacing in front of the wall. A door soon appeared.

“There you are, Hermione. We were beginning to wonder what was taking you so long,” Ron said as she sat her bag down on a large wooden table that was in the middle of the room.

“Professor McGonagall asked to speak with me after the meeting, so it took a bit longer than I had thought.” Hermione looked about the room, taking it in. It was plain, with a stone ground, like the hallway floors and stonewalls to match. There was a tall fireplace against the far wall and in the middle of the room was a large wooden table, which the engraved Pensieve was sitting on.

“Do you have the memories, Harry?” she asked, looking up at the dark haired boy who was trying not to stare at Ginny who was standing next to Hermione.

“Huh? Oh, yeah, right here.” Harry pulled three vials containing a silvery liquid from his pant pocket. “So, is everyone ready for this?”

The all looked at each other, their eyes meeting, affirming their readiness for what they were about to embark on.

Harry poured the silver strands into the large stone basin. Taking a deep breath, he entered the memory. Ginny soon followed, then Ron, leaving only Hermione.

Grabbing her notebook and ink filled quill, she lowered her face towards the shining liquid. Her nose hit the cool surface and she felt herself fall into the turning memory.


The room was large and its walls covered with bookshelves. The dark colour of the wood contrasted with the light green and silver of the drapery and large sofas and reading chairs. A fireplace was nestled in a break in the shelves; it had to be charmed not to burn the surrounding books.

Sitting, curled in one of the fluffy light green chairs was a girl, about seventeen, with light brown hair and blue eyes. She was reading a thick book while twirling a strand of hair around a finger.

“She looks like Tonks,” Ginny noted as she stared at the girl.

“Yeah, she does.” Hermione scribbled in her notebook.

The girl stood and walked around the chair, her back to the fireplace. She stood on her tiptoes and started sliding the book back into its space. She was having a hard time, and the book fell. With an annoyed huff, she knelt down to retrieve the book. The chair was so big; none of the quartet could see her anymore.

Bang!

The door opened, hitting the wall behind it and two girls entered. One was about fifteen and had long blonde hair and pale blue eyes. The other was at least twenty with long dark hair and equally pale grey eyes.

“Narcissa and Bellatrix!” Hermione gasped as she stared at the girls.

“Then that must be Andromeda, - Tonks’ mum!” Ron stated.

“Oh, come, Bella, tell me the news! You know I hate it when you keep things from me!” Narcissa glared at her older sister.

“Fine, but do not breathe a word to anyone! The Dark Lord has given certain followers… promotions, so to speak. He gave Lucius Malfoy an important item to keep safe and he gave one to Rodolphus and I!” she shared her news with pride radiating from her eyes.

“What kind of item?” Narcissa asked, her pale eyes wide.

“They are odd things, Lucius was given a book and we were given a cup.”

Hermione gasped and quickly wrote down the new information.

“But, he said to guard them with our lives, that there is more to them then meets the eye. And… if we do well and keep them safe, we will increase even more in standing with the Dark Lord!” Her beady eyes sparkled with greed.

“That is amazing, Bella! Lucius is increasing with the Dark Lord as well! Mother said he may be my match,” Narcissa said, excitement creeping into her voice.

“Yes, well, Lucius is not deserving of the Dark Lord’s esteem. But, if you married him, it would be a good match. His family is pure and have good connections with the Ministry. Lucius has been using them to aid the Dark Lord. It pleases him.” Bellatrix nodded towards the door, indicating it was time for her to leave. “I will come with Rodolphus for dinner on Saturday; we will discuss Lucius more then. Walk me to the door, little sister.”

The two left and Andromeda stood up and longingly stared after her sisters.

The room spun and shifted.


Soon they were standing in the Room of Requirement once more.

“So, Bella has Hufflepuff’s cup. How are we going to get it?” Ron asked, looking at the other three.

“We don’t know yet, Ron. That is why we are going to go through the other memories, and then we will figure out how to find the cup,” Hermione explained, never looking up from her notes.

“All right then, next memory?” Harry grabbed the next vial and held it over the Pensieve. After getting nods from the others, he poured it in.


They stood in the living room of a large house. It looked as though a battle had been fought in it. The creamy wallpaper had gaping holes in it that looked as though they had been burned there. The furniture was turned over; some pieces had been smashed and littered about the floor.

“I thought they would never go down,” an exhausted voice spoke from behind them.

Turning around, they came face-to-face with a tired and younger Kingsley Shacklebolt. Standing next to him was a woman with shoulder length blonde hair and green eyes.

“Yeah, but, why in the world would they return to their house when they knew the Ministry was after them?” she asked no one in particular.

“Maybe they thought they could take on the entire Ministry, or they needed something that was here and they were willing to risk capture to get it.” Kingsley stood in the doorway surveying the tattered room in front of him.

“Alice taught me all the Auror protocol. I was dreadful at it, remember,” the woman said, tears in her eyes. “I am glad we caught them, they deserve to rot for all eternity in Azkaban for what they did to Frank and Alice! And poor little Neville, he should have been able to know his parents, to be raised by them…”

“He still could!” Kingsley’s voice cracked. “They could recover. The Longbottom’s are strong people. They could recover.”

“Kingsley, I didn’t mean to…” she started.

“Shh! Did you hear that? It sounded like it was coming from the dining room.” Kingsley motioned for her to follow him.

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny followed close behind.

“Hey! Stop!” Kingsley yelled as he entered the room. He started running towards an opened window. “What is that smell?”

Sprinting to the window, none of the quartet could see who had been there.

“That smells like, stale ale and tobacco. Gross.” Ginny made a face.

“No, you know what that smells like?” Harry asked. “Mundungus Fletcher.”

The memory began to shift again.


“What was Mundungus doing in the Lestrange’s house?” Hermione asked after catching her footing back in the Room of Requirement.

“Maybe the last memory will answer that.” Harry poured the last shimmery memory into the basin.


“Well, Professor Dumbledore, the snake you describe doesn’t sound like any breed I know of. Its venom is spectacular! I have never seen anything like it! But with the size of the snake… There is no snake that size with this type of venom, and the snakes that have this form of venom don’t have this high of potency,” a short, round man with large glasses told Albus Dumbledore as they stood in barn full of cages, which were filled with snakes of all colours and sizes.

“Could a snake like the one I have described be specially bred?” Dumbledore asked, his eyes devoid of their normal sparkle.

“It would very difficult. The size of the snake means it may be part anaconda or python. But the venom, the size of snake with that type of venom… it would be impossible to breed them. Trust me.” He picked up a mouse and dropped it into a cage with a black and green snake.

“On the magical side, could they be?” Dumbledore prodded.

“If they person had an amazing ability to get a snake to do whatever they wanted it to do, and if they enlarged the smaller snake… it is possible,” the man said increasing the volume of his voice to be heard over the sweaking coming from the cage behind him.

“All right, can a snake be possessed? Could a human, possibly use Legilimency on one?”

“Oh no! You can communicate with one, for example, a Parselmouth can ask for it do something. But, a snakes mind is too different from a humans, a human would get lost in it.” The man started feeding the next cage, this time with rats. “A guy I used to work with was a Legilimens, he is Ward 49 now. Humans and snakes minds work on different levels.”

The man become blurry and the cages around them moved, shifting, blending into one another. The quartet soon saw pieces of the Room of Requirement seeping through the turning images.


“So, that settles it, Nagini is a Horcrux!” Hermione affirmed as she wrote on her pad of paper.

“How can we be sure?” Ginny asked.

“Well, he couldn’t have possessed her or use Legilimency on her, but if part of his soul was in her, then he could just connect with that. I doubt a snake could up a wall to keep him out.”

“So we add Nagini to the list of positive Horcruxes, and then, I think we need to talk to Dung.” Harry sat down on the sofa in front of the fire.

“Are you sure that was him we smelled?” Hermione asked as she leaned against the table and wrote furiously into her notes.

“Only Dung smells like that, Hermione, trust us,” Ron said, standing next to her.

“Then let’s go see him.” Ginny stood up from the sofa, where she had been sitting on the edge, obviously not wanting to be too close to Harry.

“There is just one problem with that,” Harry said, looking up from the fire. “Mundungus is in Azkaban.”
Chapter 5 - Azkaban by whittyleah
Author's Notes:
Thank you to my awesome betas, Ginny_W and Claraminutes! *hugs* I don't know what I would do without you!
Hermione shuddered as the cool wind blew over her.

“I hope Azkaban is warmer than the ride there,” she mumbled, rubbing her arms to warm herself.

“I doubt it,” Harry responded, his green eyes focused on the fortress they were slowly approaching.

Ginny’s eyes were scanning the water surrounding the small boat they were in, [;] she was still cross about having to leave her wand with the guard before boarding the small vessel.

The boat ride seemed to last for hours, but they finally docked at the dark island housing the tall, imposing Azkaban Prison.

“Follow me,” the warden gruffly ordered, not bothering with pleasantries and quickly turning towards the foreboding structure.

As they approached the building, Hermione felt the chill deepen. Something deep inside of her was warning her to turn back now. It was as though her soul could feel the horrible things that had happened in this place and was afraid.

“Are you okay?” Ron asked, giving her a worried look.

“I am fine, just cold,” Hermione quickly replied, not realizing she had been shaking.

Harry had been right, the inside wasn’t any warmer than outside, actually, it was colder.

They passed through thick, dark wooden doors and into a dank entryway. The room smelled of mildew and blood.

“This way to see the prisoner.” The warden stalked quickly down one of the four hallways coming out of the imposing room.

The four friends hurried to keep up. They went up stairs, down stairs, through doorways and archways until they had no idea where they were in the twisted building.

“Here you are. You have ten minutes; I will be right down the hall.” The warden walked away, leaving them in front of a metal door with a little barred window in the middle of it.

“Dung?” Harry asked, leaning towards the small window.

“Harry? What are you doin’ here, kid?” Mundungus Fletcher asked as he pressed his now gaunt and shallow face against the bars of the window.

“We need to ask you something, and we need you to tell us the truth. We will not tell anyone else, and we won’t use what you tell us against you.”

“All right, what do you need to know, boy?”

“Did you break into the Lestrange home sixteen years ago? And did you take anything?”

Mundungus’ eyes widen at Harry’s questions.

“I-I have no idea what you are talking about,” he replied, looking away.

“Dung! We know you were there, we just need to know if you took a cup from their house!” Harry grabbed the bars and looked in to stare Dung down.

“I took a lot of stuff from that house! Yes, there was a cup. It had the Hufflepuff crest on it; it got me a lot of money! What does it matter?” Dung asked, looking at Harry through a curtain of matted hair.

“You got a lot of money for it, where did you sell it?” Hermione asked while jotting down the new information on her pad of paper.

“I can’t tell you.” Mundungus turned away from the window and limped to the other side of the small hay covered cell.

“What do you mean? We need to find that cup, Dung! It is crucial we find it!” Harry pressed his face to the bars and glared at the filth-covered man.

“Fine, but you didn’t hear about this from me! And if you want that cup… well, it is going to be hard to obtain.

“There is a place, it is underground and you will not be able to find it, so don’t try to find it! Its location changes every month, I lost my connection, so I can’t tell you where it is now. Anyway, it is a place where rich collectors can bid on rare items that have…questionable origins. It is a group of rich politicians mainly, who compete with each other to see who has the best and rarest junk! I use to sell stuff there all the time. I sold the cup there.

“I think it is stupid; those men spending so much on things they can’t ever display! They spend small fortunes on these things and keep them hidden away so they don’t get in trouble for having them!” Mundungus shook his head and stepped towards the door again.

“Why do they buy all that stuff if they can’t show it off?” Ron asked, confused.

“They know they have it and the other men at the auction know they have it! It is a competition of sorts. Who has the most expensive and rare thing? They all want to be on top. This is just one they try to out do each other. They have been doing it for centuries. Competing for who has the best blood, the most money, the prettiest wife and the most influence.”

“Who bought the cup from you, Dung?” Ginny asked.

“You won’t be able to get it from him! He will have the best security, rumor has it he has his own underground museum for it all. No one can get in there!” Mundungus explained, throwing his arms around in a wild gesture.

“Dung! Just tell us! We only have a minute left,” Hermione said as she looked at her watch.

Mundungus sighed.

“Rufus Scrimgeour.”

~~~~~~


The four sat in the library at Grimmauld Place, each deep in thought.

“So, what do we do?” Ginny was the first to speak.

“Well, we can’t just break into the Minster of Magic’s house. We can’t accuse him of buying stolen goods; no one would take it seriously in this time of crisis. We… I have no idea what to do,” Hermione admitted.

“Why can’t we steal it from him?” Ron asked, a look of determination on his face.

“Why? He was the Head of the Auror’s for years. The man probably knows more protection spells, wards and trip curses then most wizards twice his age! It would be like… breaking into Buckingham Palace!” Hermione rambled, throwing her hands about.

“Why can’t we steal it from him?” Ron asked again, an odd look coming to his face.

“Ronald, have you not been listening?” Hermione glared at him.

“No, I mean, we can. Steal it,” Ron explained while taking a piece of parchment and quill and quickly writing.

“What are you getting at, Ron?” Harry asked, a look of interest on his face.

“Well, it may not seem like it, but I do listen to my dad when he goes on and on about the Ministry. He said something after Scrimgeour took office. That it took the Ministry movers a full week to move all of Scrimgeour’s belongs to the Ministers' mansion.” Ron looked up at Hermione as though that explained everything.

“So? He owns a lot of things, how does that help us?” Hermione questioned.

“He lives in a Ministry building!”

“Again, how does that help us?” Ginny asked, shooting an annoyed glare at her brother.

“Every Ministry building’s green prints are kept in the Ministry, as public record! We can go and look at his house's floor plan! We can figure out how to get in and out!”

“That is brilliant, Ron!” Harry exclaimed, patting Ron on the back.

“What’s a green print?” Hermione interjected.

“It is the floor plans of a house. Don’t Muggles have green prints of their houses?” Ginny explained, tilting her head to the side and looking at Hermione.

“We have blue prints.”

“Oh. Anyway, we can research the types of spells and wards he will have on his house, and we can break in and steal the cup!” Ron finished his master plan with a flourish of the quill in his hand.

“I don’t think it is going to be that easy, Ronald. This will take a while to plan and then we need to find the perfect time to put the plan into action. We will need to study Scrimgeour, what spells he was known for in the Aurors, his daily rituals, when he will be at his home, when he is gone, where he is most likely to keep his secret display of stolen goods…” Hermione went on, not realizing Ron was writing everything she was saying down. “So, you see, it just isn’t possible.”

“Right,” Ron murmured, scratching away with his quill. “What was that last thing you said?”

“UH! Ron! I am trying to tell you that…”

“I think was should do it,” Harry interrupted Hermione’s rant. “We’ll steal it and then destroy it.”

~~~~~~~~~~



“You are focusing too much, Miss Granger!” Severus bellowed during their fourth Legilimency lesson. “You need to let your mind relax, let it go through the steps of building defenses naturally. If you focus that much, others can tell you are putting up walls, then what good are you?”

“Sorry, Professor.” Hermione rubbed her tired eyes. “Can we call it a night, sir, I am very tired? It has been a long day.”

“Fine! Something is bothering you. I can tell, you are letting it show,“ he said with a sneer. “No matter what is going wrong, you must be able to push it aside and let your mental barriers rise up around them.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Now, I am sure whatever your parents are fighting over will work itself out. It can’t be anything serious… they are only Muggles.”

“You don’t know anything about my parents!” Hermione yelled. “Nothing at all! Who are you to be so condescending? You are only a wizard!”

With tears streaming down her face, Hermione grabbed her bag and ran from the room. Severus stared after her.


“Hermione…”

Hermione felt someone shake her and she opened her eyes to see Ginny standing above her.

“Yeah, Ginny, what is it?” she asked groggily.

“You need to get to bed. No more sleeping hunched over a pile a books for you, young lady!” Ginny gave her best “Molly” look as she helped Hermione up and steered her towards her room. “Get some sleep! We are going to see my dad tomorrow about those green prints.”

“Right… night, Ginny,” Hermione mumbled, stumbling into her room and onto her bed.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=51236