Perfect by KASK
Summary: Lily Evans was perfectly happy with her life. She had a good job, good friends, and was getting married to a great guy! But upon finding out that James Potter is engaged to the perfect girl, she begins reconsider her feelings towards him. Both Lily and James discover that some things don’t just disappear, and maybe they’re worth a second chance.

This story will be two chapters.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 5565 Read: 5150 Published: 07/26/06 Updated: 11/22/06

1. Jealousy by KASK

2. Smitten by KASK

Jealousy by KASK
Author's Notes:


Disclaimer: The majority of it is Jo’s…

I hope everyone likes it!

A special thanks to my Beta, Stella (StellaSirius). She did an awesome job! And really helped make the story better. Thanks again!

The flowers were ordered and hung throughout a small church, the centerpieces for the reception were placed gingerly on the tables, the tall white cake chilled in a tall refrigerator, awaiting that Sunday.

“God, Lily. I can’t believe you’re getting married!” Kellen Morgan exclaimed at her best friend, Lily Evans. They sat in their small house’s living room, talking and reminiscing.

“I know!” Lily squealed. She was twenty years old and at the point every girl waited for. It was Friday, and on Sunday she would be married. “I can’t believe it’s happening. I mean marriage, my wedding. I’m just in awe.” Lily looked down at the diamond on her finger in admiration. “I’ve been dreaming about this since I was a little girl, and in two days, I’ll be Mrs. Aaron Davies.”

“And I’ll be the only unwed female in the Order, well, young one that is,” Kellen commented with a frown, brushing a piece of her long blonde hair out of her face. It seemed everyone was getting married lately, in fear of running out of time, being killed by Voldemort.

“Maybe Sirius will pop the question,” Lily suggested, but Kellen simply threw her head back and laughed; her long blonde hair was tossed through the air.

“That’ll be the day we find out Dumbledore is Voldemort’s father, Voldemort joins the good side and they run off to buy a house in France for some father son bonding,” Kellen said with a smile. Lily chuckled. “No Marauder will ever get married, that’s why I was so surprised about James. Actually,” Kellen considered, “I can see James marrying, but never Sirius. He’s much too free for the binds of marriage.”

“I don’t know…wait, what about James?” Lily asked, suddenly curious.

“You really don’t pay attention do you?” Lily just gazed at her friend, what was she talking about? Kellen rolled her eyes. “It’s not officially announced yet, but he mentioned it at the Order meeting.” Lily was really oblivious, thought Tracey, as she continued staring at her. “James asked Mirabelle Sage to marry him.” Lily dropped her drink, stunned. It had been the feeling of knowing the glass was slipping from your grasp, yet you did nothing to prevent it. Kellen waved her wand and the spilled liquid vanished.

“James? James Potter?” Lily asked in disbelief. Kellen nodded. “Are you sure? I mean James Potter?” she emphasized.

“Yes. James Potter, the James Potter, tall, messy black hair, Head Boy, Quidditch obsessed, your ex-boyfriend….” Lily nodded. Of course. James Potter.

“But Mirabelle Sage?” Lily asked doubtfully. Kellen tilted her head inquisitively.

“Why not?” Kellen asked curiously. Kellen liked Mirabelle; she thought that she and James were good together. “She’s pretty, really smart, funny, nice, laid back. I mean, she’s a Healer. She took care of my dad when he was sick. She saves lives.”

“I know. She is Aaron’s cousin. She’s in the wedding. She’s just not James’ type, that’s all,” Lily said, getting annoyed, but shrugging.

“What do you mean? You don’t think someone like her is James’ type? She’s great. They’re perfect together.” Kellen knew Lily. Lily had always been so happy with Aaron, so radiant. She had been proposed to several times, but Aaron’s is the only one she accepted. They were perfect together, why did she care about Mirabelle all of a sudden?

“I don’t know, never mind. She’s just so…,” Lily gaped, what was Mirabelle? Why wasn’t she right for James? “Calm,” Lily answered stupidly, a little anger in her voice.

Mirabelle Sage had brown hair, which had a red tint, making it a chestnut color and brown eyes with flecks of gold and green. She was poised and beautiful; she was everything anyone could ever want. Mirabelle was gentle, smart, caring, a Healer. She was calm…rational…she never overreacted, or looked anything less than perfect. Perfect. She was the kind of girl you could take camping or to a ball and she would fit in and everyone would love her. She got along with everybody, she was impossible not to like. She always looked presentable, always classy, always impeccably dressed. Mirabelle Sage could have seven children, a job, a husband, a second job; have to clean a house, and pick up her children and still manage to get dinner on the table, not faltering for an instant.

Kellen raised an eyebrow at Lily, and tilted her head. You’ve had too much sun, her face clearly stated. “Come on, you need to get ready for the rehearsal, and then dinner. Less than two hours,” she glanced at her watch. “I need to get ready and remind Sirius to get ready. Take a shower, Lily, you’ll feel better.” Kellen gave her a small smile, as if determining if Lily could be left alone. She did, because a few moments later, she was off. Eventually Lily wandered into the shower. Why did she care if James Potter married? She, herself, was getting married.

Brushing her red hair, she sighed. She wasn’t nearly as beautiful as Mirabelle. Even her name screamed sophistication, perfection. Lily didn’t know what she thought, she was distraught. She couldn’t still love James Potter. Could she?

***


“I’m starving,” Lily said to her fiancé, Aaron, as they entered the room. Everyone was already around a large table, waiting to eat. It only consisted of the people in the wedding, a few of them with dates or spouses. Lily’s parents and Aaron’s parents chatted easily with one another. Kellen, who was Lily’s Maid of Honor, was sitting next to her boyfriend, Sirius Black. Mirabelle was a bridesmaid, on Aaron’s request. They were close. She had brought James along, and he sat between Mirabelle and Sirius. Aaron’s friends and Lily’s other friends sat among each other, talking merrily. Lily’s sister, Petunia, refused to have anything to do with the wedding, let alone be in it.

By some strange twist of fate, Lily and Aaron ended up sitting directly across from James and Mirabelle, which made Lily shift uncomfortably in her seat. “You look stunning,” Aaron whispered into her ear, his warm breath tickling her neck, causing Lily to smile broadly. She was wearing a white halter summery dress. The white against her browned skin, freckled more so from the sun, and her copper hair, made her look incredible. Aaron was so handsome, so sweet and caring, so mature-- so perfect.

After the food was distributed and everyone had what they pleased, the conversation began. James and Sirius began telling Mirabelle about a prank they played on the whole Slytherin house in fifth year. They made it so every single Slytherin hung on the ceiling of the Trophy Room, their heads dangling down. Their shoes seemed to be glued to the ceiling and etched in their shirts was a gold plaque, each reading a different accomplishment. Lily remembered Severus Snape’s reading “First Place in Hogwart’s Greasiest Hair Contest, Five Years Running.” Then the Marauders made an announcement telling everyone to report to the Trophy Room, so they could show off their work to the whole school. It was quite funny, thinking about it. Mirabelle was laughing hard, her fingers intertwined with James’.

Lily remembered that prank diligently. She was a Prefect, and turned the Marauders in, scoring them detention. The whole house hated her, Sirius and James got detention on the day of the big Quidditch game, against Slytherin. Without their best players, they lost. Mirabelle laughs at it, I was a stiff, thought Lily.

“And dear, prefect Lily caught us. ‘WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I CAN’T BELIEVE YOUR NERVE. YOU FOUR ARE DISGUSTING. ESPECIALLY YOU REMUS!’” Sirius said, imitating Lily’s reaction to the prank, causing the whole table to erupt in laughter, except Lily. “Then she took Remus aside and gave him a good talking to, never seen him look so scared, almost told McGonagall to revoke his badge. Anyway, we all got detention, causing us to lose the Quidditch Cup. And if we didn’t win it six other times, I would still be angry,” Sirius concluded. Kellen remembered the whole incident vividly, as did Aaron, but Mirabelle had only gone to Hogwarts until her fourth year. She then decided to study abroad at a school in Canada.

Lily looked at Sirius, trying to smile. Had she really been that bad? She couldn’t even appreciate a good joke on the Slytherins? Her eyes strayed to Potter. She hadn’t looked at him in months, years maybe, not directly anyway. He was smiling, laughing, glancing at Mirabelle lovingly. At first it had been painful, seeing the hazel eyes and messy black hair framing his face. Then it became awkward. Now, there was just no reason to look at him. Looking at him, for the first time in what seemed like forever, was a new sensation. It was joy. Happiness filled Lily, as she looked at him. She missed him, his hazel eyes, his stupid black hair, his lopsided grin, even the remarks he used to make to impress her. Tons of memories clouded her eyes. Then her gaze widened. It was not just James she was looking at. Mirabelle was in the picture. The joy she felt became bittersweet.

James quickly looked at her, feeling her gaze. His eyes were apologetic for a second, before breaking the lock. He whispered something in Mirabelle’s ear. Sweet nothings, as Lily called them. Mirabelle laughed. She had a lovely laugh that rang through the room like church bells. It was slightly contagious. This laughter angered Lily to an extent she had never known. In the back of her mind, she wondered if anyone thought these things of her. That maybe someone out there thought the things that Lily thought of Mirabelle. Because Lily couldn’t deny that Mirabelle was faultless, Mirabelle was the type of person Lily wanted to be. She had James. Lily glanced at Aaron, his face full of pure elation. To Aaron, she was better than Mirabelle.

Throughout the rest of dinner, Lily said nothing. She sat there, angry, lost in thought, as James and Sirius told more stories which had the whole table roaring in laughter. Most of them made Lily look like the bad guy, until seventh year, where she was minimally involved. Before she knew it, dessert was being passed around, thick chocolate mousse cake. Aaron smiled at her, wrapping his arm around her. “Are you okay?” He asked gently. She smiled at him; they were so good together. He always knew what she was feeling, and he was so comforting. Aaron knew when to pull her close, and when to give her space.

“I’m fine,” she said weakly. “Just anxious to be Mrs. Lily Davies.” Aaron gave her a heartfelt smile, which ceased Lily to feel worse.

“Well,” Sirius said, tapping a fork against his wine cup. “I have a bit of an announcement.” Every person at the table turned to look at Sirius. “James didn’t want to announce this yet, because he didn’t want to take the spotlight from Lily and Aaron. But I don’t think this will, I don’t think anything could. Not from Lily. And with all these people, may as well announce it when people are listening. My best friend in the world is going to marry this girl, Mirabelle Sage. And I must say, I love them both.” Sirius concluded happily, as the whole room clapped and congratulated them. James face was a little red, but he grinned wildly, as did Mirabelle. Lily was not clapping or smiling. She did not send warm congratulations their way, she said nothing. Lily felt like she had been punched in the face.

Aaron reached across the table and shook hands with James. Mirabelle smiled at the guests shyly, which made Lily angrier. Lily was not shy; she was outspoken and often blunt. This was not their place to announce their engagement. This was her night, her day, her weekend. James looked at Lily for a moment, with no idea why she looked that way.

“Lily, can I have a word?” James said, before he could stop himself. Stupid, he thought, mentally slapping his forehead. Bewildered, Lily rose and followed James. Sirius and Kellen shot nervous glances at one another; they were two of the few who knew what really happened between Lily and James. Aaron and Mirabelle gave suspicious looks at Lily and James’ exit.

***


“Lily,” James started. The summer air was soft, caressing their skin. The only light was the full moon, peaking up between the trees, and the twinkle of the stars above them. Lily sat down on a bench swing in the yard. Through her sandals she could feel the moist green grass on her toes. She looked up at the moon and sighed. The blasted moon, Remus wasn’t there because of it. She desperately wanted him there, not just because he was one of her best friends and in the wedding, because he was one of the only people who knew her side of the story.
James looked at Lily; her green eyes were peering up into the navy sky. He was at loss for words, what did he want to say to her? “I-I just wanted to say that I’m happy for you. Aaron is a good guy and you deserve the best. I hope there are no hard feelings about anything that happened in the past. You’re marrying Aaron and I Mirabelle. So I hope we can be friends,” James finished rather lamely. Lily wasn’t listening though. She was looking at the stars smeared across the sky like a canvas, breathing in the honey air.

Not sure what to do, with a brief nod, he turned and began to walk towards the house. “She saves lives,” Lily said softly, to herself, repeating Kellen’s words. “And you protect lives, no wonder you love her. She’s perfect.” James stopped and turned around. She was still looking at the sky. “I’m just a hotheaded Mudblood, who sits behind a desk.” Lily added glumly.

“Don’t you every say that!” James reprimanded sharply. “Don’t think of yourself like that. You’re looking at being the next Minister of Magic. And that’s not nothing,” he added softly. Was Lily jealous of Mirabelle? Because the Lily Evans he knew would never say that about herself. “And no one’s perfect.” He chuckled to himself, recalling the seven years he thought Lily was the height of perfection, even when she cursed and hexed him. And part of him, still thought she was. Lily was not looking at the sky in amazement anymore, but rather at him.

“James,” she croaked, missing that name on her tongue. “Why did you do it? You knew me, you knew I would have said no, yet you asked. We were too young! You ruined it all.” It had been on her mind for far too long, the words shifting in her mouth and her head for three years. James ran a hand through his unkempt hair. He was speechless; what was he supposed to say to that? What’s done was done.

“I’m sorry,” he began quietly. “I thought you loved me, and maybe that would be enough for us.” Right after graduating Hogwarts, James had pulled together his courage, and asked Lily to marry him, but she didn’t accept. She didn’t want to get married; she was too young to start a family. So she turned him down, and once again, left James heartbroken and empty. Then Mirabelle came along. They were older. She was sweet, compassionate and understanding. She was bright, like the sun, and he wanted to marry her. He was ready to marry her.

“You should have known! You’ve always understood me,” her eyes shone bright, swimming with tears. Lily wanted to scream at him. He ruined their chances, by that stupid question. She hadn’t been ready to let go, to give up, to call it quits just like that. James sighed.

“Lily, come on. We can’t change the past, what’s happened has happened; we just have to move on,” James said painfully. It was the truth, he just hated hurting her. “I’m sorry, Lily,” he said, looking her in the eyes. “But we’ve made promises to other people. I love someone else and you’re getting married Sunday. That’s the fact of the matter.” Lily couldn’t think straight, she had no chance with him.

“Just listen,” Lily said quickly. “Please,” she begged. James nodded. “I thought I was happy. Aaron is great, but thinking about you and her, I’m not. I can’t live with it. I mean, I’ve just figured this out. What am I supposed to do?” She looked at him; he looked no different than before. Yet he was, he wasn’t in love with Lily anymore, he was going to marry Mirabelle. Lily needed to say something, quickly. “James, I love you,” Lily said tenderly. She closed her eyes, hoping that the words would be enough.

“Lily,” it took every ounce of strength he had to say this. “I’m marrying Mirabelle. It’s too late.” In all nine years of knowing her, he had never seen Lily Evans so desperate, so helpless, so broken. She just nodded and wiped her eyes.

If nothing else, Lily would be strong. She would not beg for someone to love her. For the first time in her life, Lily said exactly what she felt, she put everything out there, her heart on the line, and she was rejected. Lily would not let this tear her up, she would walk down the aisle on Sunday, chin up. And with that, Lily stood and walked towards the house, not looking back. James just stood there, somewhat numb, watching her figure walk away in the darkness. It always seemed that he was the weak one, the one who always got hurt. There was no doubt in James’ mind that she was hurt, but she was the one who walked back into the house, the one to move on. She was the one who always held the cards. He just stood outside, wishing it was all different.
Smitten by KASK
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone! Sorry this took so long to update. I've never been one with real life. Plus, I've been working on some other stuff, which I will promote relentlessly and remorselessly. I have some other Lily/James (my favorite genre) and some other stuff, with more coming soon, so check it out :)

Now, here is the (too) long awaited finale. Let me know what you think, because I'm not sure about it. This story was actually my first completed fic. I had been working on a chaptered Lily/James, but this one was the first finished one. Anyway, I wrote it last May, and am thinking about rewriting the end or adding more to it. What do you think?
Thank you Miss Padfoot for Beta'ing!
“She told me she loved me. She begged me.” James paced in his flat, running his hands through his hair.



“And?” Sirius asked lazily, sprawled out on the couch. “You didn’t run off with her?” James looked at his best friend with shock.



“I’m engaged. And so is she. Besides, I love Mirabelle.”



“I know you do, Prongs. Mirabelle is great. But this is Lily Evans we are talking about. The Lily Evans we spent seven years wooing and trying to win. And when I say we, I mean we. That was a complete dual effort! I had to use every trick up my sleeve for that one,” Sirius said with a grin. “So, she comes to you, wanting, basically, for you to marry her… And you rejected her?” Sirius asked bluntly, somewhat surprised and James nodded.



“Okay, that was the first mistake. I’m going to give you some advice and I don’t have much of it, so listen closely. First of all, forget your stupid loyalty; whom do you want to be with? Who can’t you imagine life without? If you had to give up one of them, which would it be?” James closed his eyes, Sirius’ questions washing over him. He loved Mirabelle. She was so good to him. But what if he never saw Lily again? He couldn’t make sure she was happy or cheer her up if she was sad?



“Lily,” James said quietly, her vivid eyes lighting up his mind. Sirius’ eyes widened in surprise. James picked Lily as the one he would give up?



“You really love Mirabelle, don’t you?” Sirius asked, his eyes still wide but soft.



“Of course I do, I wouldn’t have asked her to marry me if I didn’t. But I don’t know,” he said, looking harassed and running a hand through his hair, as if it would clear his mind. “Mirabelle is perfect. She never hated me, I didn’t have to deal with her hexes and insults for six years, and we never fight. She’s beautiful, smart, spontaneous, passionate, amazing... But,” James shrugged, “I don’t know if I could live without Lily. There are so many people like Mirabelle out there, but Lily? I’ve never met another. I have loved her since I was fifteen, and I always will. No contest, I don’t want anyone else. I asked her first,” James said, as the realizations came to him, his eyes lighting up. Why didn’t he see it? He loved Lily. Sirius smiled at his best friend; he had known all along.



“James, we both know that Lily’s insults made your life.” James smiled, rubbing his face.



“I certainly was a bit pathetic, though I can’t say it wasn’t worth it.” Sirius and James both laughed.



“Maybe I’ll ask Kel to marry me. I love her.” James smiled at Sirius; he was really wiser than given credit for.



***



Lily recapped everything that had happened to Kellen the following day. She blinked. “We’re back at him again? You and Aaron are so good together, why risk it with James?” Unlike her other friends, Kellen had never been a fan of James, or his and Lily’s relationship. She just couldn’t see it working in the long run.



“Kellen, I’m not risking anything. He doesn’t love me, remember? But I don’t understand why you are so against it. You’re with Sirius Black. He’s not exactly the most stable person and I say nothing. In fact, I like Sirius. But the second I get with James Potter, a good guy, who has loved me forever, you pray for a breakup,” Lily finally exploded. The words had been on her mind since Hogwarts. Kellen sighed with a shrug.



“I don’t know. You always fought so much and I always thought he would break your heart. But I was wrong, it was the other way around,” Kellen said tiredly.



“He did hurt me, yesterday, but before that, he always loved me. He always cared,” Lily said, furrowing her brow, not exactly wanting to think about yesterday.



“But you didn’t always love him, and even after you started going out, you fought. You can only go so far before you break,” Kellen answered truthfully. “On the other hand, you and Aaron are perfect.” Lily smiled at her.



“Kel, I know you want what’s best for me, but you should know me by now. I don’t want perfect. Aaron is great, everything I ever dreamed of. But then again, he isn’t, because I still want James.” Lily paused for a moment. “I finally understand it all. His persistence at Hogwarts, why he never gave up on me, that’s how I feel at this very moment. He could hex me, reject me, or hurt me, just like I did, and I’d still go back to him. I’d rather fight with him, than have Aaron kiss me. The feeling when I’m near him is worth it,” Lily finished, smiling and feeling much better.



Kellen looked at Lily for a moment, before a silent comprehending broke out in her eyes. “I know what you mean, Lily. Why do you think I’m still with Sirius?”



***



“Mirabelle,” James started nervously. He wasn’t sure how to tell her. He wanted to do it in a way that would cause her the least pain, even if it wasn’t possible. He’d break it to her gently; try to find a way to soften the blow. “I can’t marry you.” Direct works too, he thought, after the words slipped out. Mirabelle looked at him and smiled. She thought he was joking. After all, she loved his sense of humour. “I’m serious,” he said quietly.



“What?” Mirabelle blinked, catching the sincerity of his words.



“I’m sorry,” he said truthfully. He needed to explain, even when he half expected her to throw something at him. “You are the type of person every man wants to marry and love. Anyone would be lucky to be with you.”



“If every man would want to marry me, why don’t you?” Mirabelle asked, her eyes wide in confusion. What was going on? Whatever it was, one thing was for sure: she would not give up on the person she loved so easily. She wouldn’t just let him throw her aside.



“I’m not every man,” James said easily, gaining more confidence and looking into her eyes. “I never wanted anything that came easy. So, when I was eleven, I developed a crush on this girl. I was so stupid in my youth. Didn’t realize what I had gotten myself into until it was too late. I was hooked,” he said with a small chuckle, immediately realizing it was neither the time nor place to reminisce. “It took me seven years to convince her she loved me, too. And it was great, but I made a mistake, a huge mistake. I was impulsive and didn’t think, starry-eyed I guess… and I lost her.” James rubbed his temple, thinking. “The thing is you don’t just lose something like that; you don’t just forget about the one you love. So I can’t marry you, it wouldn’t be fair to anyone.”



“But James, you never had to convince me to love you, but this girl, you had to. Doesn’t that show anything?” Mirabelle asked desperately. She had never been rejected before and she truly loved James; she had envisioned herself growing old with him…



“It does,” he assured, “but it changes nothing. I can’t explain it. Logically, I should love you, not the girl who caused me so much frustration and heartache. Still, I love Lily Evans.” James smiled. He loved saying it. He loved Lily Evans! Lily Evans! Lily Evans! He loved the way her name rolled off his tongue.



“Lily Evans,” she sighed. “Of course, Sirius told me about you and her after we got serious.” Mirabelle looked at him, his eyes were star-struck. She paused, thinking. She knew what her words would be, and that she would probably regret them later. “What are you waiting for then?” she asked, with a small, reluctant smile. Mirabelle was not heartless. She wanted James to be happy. James looked at her in awe for a moment, not quite conceiving the possibility that someone could be so selfless. He smiled at her gratefully, and kissed her on the cheek before sprinting out.



James ran towards Lily’s house. He knew exactly where it was; he always ended up there. Over the last three years, every walk led him there. At least five times a month, James would end up standing outside the house Lily and Kellen shared. He just never realized what it meant.



It was pouring rain, the air thick with humidity, but James didn’t care. He decided to run because he needed to run. Running released his energy, allowing him to think clearly. James sprinted down road after road until her white house appeared in the distance. He had never felt so nervous, and he just hoped Aaron wasn’t there. And that Lily still loved him…



He tore up the pathway to her porch and knocked on the door, praying she was home. After a moment, Lily appeared at the door, looking beautiful in a green, summery dress with white flowers and her hair swept up. “James,” she said bemused, “what are you doing here?”



“I need to talk to you before you marry him,” James pleaded breathlessly. Lily hesitated for a moment before stepping out onto the porch and closing the door. Sheets of rain came down just feet away from them, but they were sheltered by the porch’s roof.



“Lily,” he said, slightly out of breath from running. He gulped air before continuing. “I can’t believe that after seven incessant years I almost gave up. I love you,” he said, expecting a revelation. But there wasn’t one. She didn’t throw her arms around him and chanted words of love, too. Lily just looked at him, unsure.



“You told me you loved Mirabelle last night, James. How can you change your mind about something that important in a day? I don’t want to get hurt, or be the reason for hurt.” Lily looked at him with brisk eyes.



“How do I know you really care?” She was done being the one with her heart on the table. James looked at her desperately. He had to make her understand. Lily bit her lip. “She’s perfect, James. I’m far from it.” James shook his head.



“Evans, what is with you and perfection?” James asked, a hint of a smile in his voice. “I don’t want Mirabelle; I called it all off. I told her I loved you, because I do. Lily, you’re the one I want. Who would tell me when I’m being arrogant? Who would keep me in line? If I married Mirabelle, I would spend my whole life wishing her eyes were green, and her hair was red. But even if they were, it wouldn’t really matter, because it wouldn’t be you. It’s not the same feeling when she stands next to me. You’re the only one I’ve ever wanted, end of story. I love you. And I know you love me,” James said with vigour and a determined look in his eyes. His earnest hazel eyes met her green ones.



“I do,” she said quietly; he could hear her though. He had always paid attention to her voice. James put his arms around Lily’s waist and pulled her towards him. The only thing they could see was each other’s eyes. Without realising it, they were leaning into one another, both captivated by everything they saw. Both Lily and James’ eyes were full of tenderness and love. Their lips met in a soft kiss. James was soaked, but Lily didn’t notice.



“Wait,” James said, breaking apart from her. “What about you and Aaron?” Lily smiled at him.



“I broke it off this morning. You didn’t take me for a cheater, did you, Potter?”



“No,” he said smiling. “You and Aaron were just so perfect,” James teased. Lily just smiled warmly and shook her head. James grabbed her wrist. “Come on,” he said, as she followed him into the rain. She would have followed him anywhere.



“James, it’s raining, we’ll get wet,” Lily said, her statement fruitless since they were already out from under the roof. James just shrugged, a hint of that old mischief shinning in his eyes.



“It’s where it started,” James said softly, remembering the first time they kissed. Lily smiled at him, remembering too.



It was stormy day; Gryffindor had just won the House Cup. Grinning wildly, Lily ran onto the pitch to congratulate her house team. Instead of finding herself congratulating Kellen, she came face to face with James. His face was dripping with water, but his smile was unfaltering throughout his face. Lily’s own smile broadened as she saw him, the look of joy on his face. And then, for some unexplained reason, he swooped down and kissed her gently. Even odder, Lily reached up and returned it with another kiss, touching his wet face with her soft hands. And the rest was history. That had been the best day of his life.



Looking at him now, he had the same look on his face, of love and happiness. James smiled down at Lily. “That was a good day,” he recalled.



“Yes,” Lily’s whole face felt her smile and the tears of joy that were caressing her cheeks, “it was.” A small grin played on her lips. And they kissed tenderly once again. It wasn’t an aggressive kiss. It was full of passion, but it was gentle. They had each other and didn’t need much more.



***



“These are two of my favourite people in the world. And I must say, at quite a few points, I didn’t think they would make it here. I worked very hard for this relationship, but it was all because of Lily and James’ love. I want to congratulate these two amazing, very blessed people; ‘Big-headed James Bloody Potter’ in Lily’s words and ‘Stubborn Lily Evans,’ in James’. You finally got her,” Sirius said, raising his abnormally large glass of champagne to Lily and James. He had never seen either look so happy. They were, for lack of a better word, perfect.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=55163