Changing History by A_Pink_lady
Summary: Harry Potter. The boy who lived. The chosen one.

Harry Potters sixth year at Hogwarts was the most emotional year ever. Harry now knows what he has to do. He has to destroy Voldermort. However, the task seems impossible, but with the help of Ron and Hermione, Harry goes on his quest. A quest that whatever happens, will make history throughout the world. However, a certain girl is constantly on his mind, threatening the entire quest. Will she be his downfall or is he stronger?

The whole world’s fate rests in his hands.

Will he succeed or will he fail?

Post HBP. Written and mostly planned before DH but may include some aspects in it but generally it will be as different to DH as possible...read more to find out!

Chapter 1 and 2 have been edited
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 21565 Read: 23458 Published: 08/16/06 Updated: 04/18/08

1. Chapter 1 by A_Pink_lady

2. Chapter 2 by A_Pink_lady

3. Chapter 3 by A_Pink_lady

4. Chapter 4 by A_Pink_lady

5. Chapter 5 by A_Pink_lady

6. Chapter 6 by A_Pink_lady

7. Chapter 7 by A_Pink_lady

8. Chapter 8 by A_Pink_lady

Chapter 1 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
This is my first ever story so i hope you like it. It is my version of book seven.Also, all the other chapters are much longer and i will be able to update regulary because i have already written a lot of the chapters.
Thanks to my BETA Georgie who helped make this story better.Please R & R because otherwise i won't know whether anyone likes it! The more reviews i get, the quicker i will update and they really make my day,i wouldnt even mind if its one word. Anyway, enjoy! (edited)
Memories flashed before his eyes. Of when he feared she was dead in the Chamber of Secrets, when he saw her kissing Dean, when he first kissed her after they won the Quidditch cup and when he had to end it with her, at Dumbledore’s - TAP TAP TAP!!

There was a loud rapping noise coming from the window at Privet Drive, and Harry Potter blearily shoved on his glasses. His thoughts of Ginny had vanished. Turning over, he leaned towards the window, opened it and let the owl in, the Daily Prophet clasped in its claws. Without thinking, he paid the owl, which briefly flew into Hedwig’s empty cage for some water before flying off again on for his next delivery. As Harry watched it fly off into the distance, he spotted his own snowy white owl, Hedwig, approaching after a night of hunting.

Moodily, he picked up the Daily Prophet and looked at the front page. It was crammed with the usual rubbish, precautions about Death Eaters and things like that. Harry already knew all of that; he was all too familiar with Death Eaters and Dementors. He squinted and tried to read a different article, but it seemed to him that the writing was shrinking as he tried to read it. So instead, he chucked it on the table along with all the other papers and Hedwig’s cage. His room was once again, a mess. All his clothes were left untidily across the floor and his invisibility cloak was poking out of his wardrobe.

Harry glanced at Dudley’s old clock, and groaned. It was only five in the morning, way too early to get up and do anything. Harry lay back down on his bed wishing for sleep to wash over him, but to no avail. The pain of Dumbledore’s murder was still too fresh, too raw. The images raced through his head over and over again, the aged old wizard getting hit by the fatal green curse, taking his last breath…. Eventually, after much tossing and turning, he gave up and peeled the sheets off himself. Sluggishly, he wandered over to the draw and pulled out his most prized possession-his wand. Even now, he could still remember the exact time and place he received it, still shuddered as Ollivanders haunting voice crept back into his consciousness, reminding him of his fate, his destiny. All tied to Voldemort.

His hand lingered for a moment over his Quill and parchment. He was in half a mind just to write a letter to Ginny right there, begging for forgiveness, that he was stupid, that he needed her, and that he should take him back….But he clenched his fists and moved away from his Quill and Parchment, to take away the temptation. I can’t put Ginny’s life at risk, if Voldemort finds out, he will use her as bait to get at me, he muttered to himself quietly through clenched teeth. He’d already lost his parents, his godfather and his mentor; he couldn’t bear to lose Ginny too, it would destroy him. Harry tried to shake these thoughts out of his head while he absentmindedly polished his wand, but they just kept on coming back to him. Once again, he found himself arguing with himself.

How could Voldemort find out?

He would, somehow, he has spies everywhere. Would I really want to risk it?

Why can’t I just be with her anyway?

Because I can’t put her life at risk, it wouldn’t be fair to her, to anyone.

But…

Oh, just shut up!

It felt like there was two separate people arguing in his head, making it spin and ache. I just need some fresh air! Harry thought to himself. Quietly, he crept to his door and slid it open. He could hear the Dursley’s snoring and instantly felt jealous. Their dreams were never interrupted by nightmares about almost dying at the hand of the most evil Dark Lord ever. He cringed as the door creaked, then shook his head. I’m not even going to stay that long, Harry thought. They were absolutely terrified of Harry, particularly due to the fact that, as every day passed, Harry was coming closer and closer to his 17th birthday, and his coming of age. He couldn’t wait to be able to do magic outside of school. The Dursleys must remember what Dumbledore said to them last year. Harry thought. Then he felt extraordinarily sad, just thinking about Dumbledore overwhelmed him with emotions. Harry suddenly jumped out of his skin when he heard a loud crash right next to him. One of the ornaments was on the floor, in pieces. Not good. The sound seemed to be magnified in the silence of the house and for a moment, Harry was paralyzed. It wasn’t until he heard thumping noises coming from his Aunt and Uncles bedroom, that he was able to move his legs.

Uncle Vernon came charging out of his room, his huge face purple with anger and he ran directly at Harry, like a bull charging at a red rag. However, years of dodging Dudley’s gang and all of his experience at Hogwarts had meant that his reflexes were remarkable so he easily dodged his blundering uncle. (who was still three quarters asleep.) He darted at the door into the street. His heart was pounding and he was no longer sleepy, adrenaline pounding through his veins. Uncle Vernon wouldn’t dare chase him in the streets, for fear of what the neighbours might say. He must have forgotten about being scared of Harry; he was probably already asleep again.

As he trotted down the virtually deserted street, memories flooded his mind again. The first time he ever saw his Godfather, getting attacked by the Dementors. All these memories must be coming back because it would be the last time he would ever be here again. In some ways he felt miserable about that, he had grown up there. But it never felt like home, and the place only reminded him of the torture and bullying he received by everyone, especially Dudley. Only the dim lamppost lights and the rising sun provided any light to lead his way.

Harry dug his hand deep into one of his pockets, searching for his wand and taking comfort in it. He never went anywhere without his wand there was always a chance that it would be needed, like if he spotted Snape or Malfoy. Also now that the Dementors were on Voldemort’s side, he needed to be protected. He didn’t really fancy getting the kiss anytime soon.

Harry automatically slung himself onto the only unbroken swing and mentally counted down the days until he went back to the Burrow. Then he would never have to see the Dursleys ever again.

A few hours later, when the pangs of hunger were overwhelming, Harry braved going back to the Dursleys’ for something to eat. As he reached the kitchen, he saw that Aunt Petunia was cooking breakfast and Uncle Vernon was watching TV. Harry grinned when he imagined what Mr. Weasley’s reaction would be if he saw the TV. Neither Aunt Petunia nor Uncle Vernon showed any signs that Harry had entered the room, which could be true for Vernon because his favourite TV show was on full blast. There was no sign of Dudley. He’s probably still asleep, Harry thought duly.

As Harry grabbed a piece of bread when his aunt left the kitchen, he thought longingly of the mouth watering meals Mrs Weasley cooked. All he got at privet drive was a bit of bread and sometimes some jam, if he was quick and sneaky enough. As he sat at the table, he chuckled to himself, remembering when Dudley sat on the dining room chair and it snapped due to his enormous weight. Harry could not stop laughing for ages; it still made him smirk now. Of course, the Dursleys didn’t find it funny, so Harry had to hide his face so they couldn’t see him laughing so hard he couldn’t breathe. After breakfast, he decided he would go back to his room to finish the book Lupin had bought him about Defence Against the Dark Arts a couple of years ago. Harry had never really got round to reading it before, but found they were very useful.

Harry crept up to his bedroom as quietly as possible. Waking up Dudley wouldn’t be a smart move. As he stepped into his room, everything suddenly seemed to go in slow motion, anger started to rise from his stomach as looked at the scene in front of him.

Dudley was in Harry’s room. And he was sitting in the middle of Harry’s possessions, the floorboard and his trunk was flung open. All of his letters, newspapers and photos were strewn across the floor.
Chapter 2 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
Hi, heres chapter 2 i hope u like it and tell me what you think!
(edited)

Harry was frozen with horror, unable to believe his eyes. How dare he go through my stuff! Harry thought furiously. He clenched his fists in fury, his privacy had been invaded! Harry took a step towards his cousin.



Quietly, he paused behind Dudley, who was still oblivious of Harry. He was transfixed on the moving pictures in the photo album. There was a picture of Harry, Hermione and Ron, all laughing and smiling at the camera. Then with a pang of horror, he spotted a picture of Ginny sitting on his lap, his arms around her waist. The fury in him multiplied. Harry took a deep breath in and said, “What do you think you’re doing?” Dudley jumped violently; making his chins wobble madly as though someone had electrocuted him.



“WHY ARE YOU GOING THROUGH MY STUFF?” Harry yelled.



The look on Dudley’s face priceless, he resembled a rabbit caught in headlights. A fat rabbit with droppings for a brain. In any other situations, Harry would have found it funny. Then he found his voice. “Who are those people in the pictures? Your friends? No, they can’t be “ why would anyone want to be friends with you?”



“Yeah, they are my friends! At least I have some, unlike you; you just have people to do your dirty work for you!” Harry growled.



“Who is that red haired girl “ if she is a girl, she looks more like a dog!” Dudley sneered, a sneer that was so much like Malfoy’s, Harry just lost it and lunged it him. He was about to attack Dudley when he felt himself being jerked back by his hair by Uncle Vernon. He felt like someone had clubbed him round the head, making his eyes water. Before he could recover, Uncle Vernon yanked him downstairs, still by his hair, and threw him out of the house. Harry immediately attacked the door, trying to wrench it off its hinges, but the door did not budge. Everywhere was spinning and his head was throbbing agonizingly. Anger was still slicing through him, making him shake violently. How dare he snoop through my stuff, and then start insulting Ginny! Harry wanted to jinx him into a slug and then step on it. Suddenly, he heard a high-pitched scream coming from his bedroom. Aunt Petunia must have seen the moving photos; she virtually fainted when I mentioned the word wizard last week! I was only saying that the murders were due to dark wizards and she screamed and almost passed out on the chair! Bloody Dursleys. Harry thought angrily.



All of a sudden, Harry heard thudding and then Dudley opened the door, pushed past Harry and stormed out. He was just about to chase after him, to show him how angry he was, when he remembered that all of his possessions were scattered across his floor. Before he did anything else, he knew he had to put them away safely. Up in his room, the photo album was open to a picture of his parents, holding a newborn baby, Harry. Harry felt tears welling up in his eyes, but he wiped them away with one shaky hand. As he started to put away his things, his eyes lingered for a second on one of the letters. It was one of the last letters he ever received from Sirius. The lump in his throat grew rapidly, but he stopped himself before the tears fell. He missed Sirius so much. He still had many sleepless and if he did manage to sleep, his dreams filled with Sirius and that day in the Ministry. His time with his Godfather was so short it was unfair.



After he carefully put all of his belongings back in their original places, Harry went downstairs and for the third time that day, Harry went outside. However, this time he knew what he was going to do.



It didn’t take long to locate Dudley’s gang. They were loitering on a street corner smoking, thinking they looked cool. The anger started to swell in Harry again. He strode over to them and before the group realized what had happened, Harry had punched Dudley as hard as he could. Dudley stumbled backwards, tripped over the curb and fell right over. It took a while for his gang to realize what had happened (they were all as thick as Dudley was) but when they did, they turned and faced Harry, their fists clenched. Harry was ready for a fight. He wanted to show them how much he hated them, how much they had made his life a misery, he had faced worse things than them before. Then he heard Dudley groaning and he croaked, “Leave him.”



Harry was probably the only one to notice the quiver of fear in his voice. The gang looked at each other, then at Harry, and then turned away, just as Dudley was struggling to get up. Then he turned to face Harry.



“If you dare touch my stuff ever again, I will do much worse damage, trust me.” Harry growled menacingly, just quiet enough so only Dudley could hear. He saw the flicker of fear in his cousin’s eyes and his eyes moved for a fraction of a second to his pocket where his wand was. Then Dudley signalled for the gang to move, Dudley walking at a faster pace then all the others.



Now that he had calmed down a bit and was able to think more rationally , Harry reckoned it was best he didn’t get into a fight; he might do something he would regret, like pull out his wand, or worse; lose it. In addition, he wanted to be at full strength at all times, there was no need for a childish punch-up with some brainless kids. Still, punching Dudley did give him some satisfaction. However, he has bigger fish to fry.



Harry then turned to make his way back home. He thought that it would be best to be home before Dudley was. That punch would definitely give him a black eye. He deserves it, Harry thought. He couldn’t wait for the time to come when he would get to leave the Dursleys.



When Harry got back to his bedroom, he saw Ron’s tiny owl, Pig, excitedly whizzing round his room. Despite everything, Harry started to chuckle at the sight of the miniature owl flying round his room. When the owl spotted Harry, it started to fly at him and he caught it in one hand. A bit like a snitch, he thought musingly. Hermione and Ron had been sending letters virtually everyday. In his claws, Pig carried a small piece of parchment. He unrolled it eagerly. Inside was a note from Ron.



Dear Harry,

We hope the Muggles aren’t being too foul. We are going to pick you up next Friday at 5pm. everyone has missed you and especially Ginny. She just stays in her room all the time. I hope your time at the Dursleys’ wasn’t too painful. Send a reply back with Pig if you need to change anything.

-Ron




Harry felt sufficiently better after reading Ron’s note Nevertheless, when he read Ginny’s name, he became full of emotion - had she cried? He tried to shrug off the image of Ginny weeping because she missed him so much, but he couldn’t. It‘s strange how much emotion one word can make you feel, just reading the word Ginny starts me off again. He suddenly remembered when Ron and Hermione said that they were going to stay with him at the Dursleys, but he had eventually persuaded them not to, he didn’t think that it was very necessary and that the Dursleys would have gone mad if they tried to say. No, he had to go to the Dursleys’ alone, for the last time. It was just something he had to do on his own. Hurriedly, he took out a quill and parchment and scribbled a reply.



Dear Ron,

Friday’s great, I can’t wait! Got some stuff to tell you on what happened today, it’s too hard to explain on paper, don’t worry it’s just something to do with Dudley.

See you Friday and say hi to everyone for me.

-Harry

P S. I hope the wedding plans are going well.




It wasn’t exactly what he would have liked to write, but he could explain later. Then he rolled up the parchment and tied it to Pig’s leg, which wasn’t that easy as he was so excited it was hard to keep him still long enough for Harry to tie the letter to his leg. As he sent the owl off, he turned to Hedwig. She looked annoyed that she didn’t get to take a letter so Harry gave her some owl treats as he affectionately stroked her feathers. He looked at the note again. Friday at five pm. He had less than a week left here. He rested his head on his pillow as he silently celebrated. He was so happy, he felt somewhat light-headed. He didn’t know how long he had been in that dream-like state for, but when he heard a screech coming from downstairs, and a door slamming, he knew Dudley must have come home. Bracing himself for how the Dursleys would behave when he went downstairs and what Dudley’s face would look like, Harry left his room and made his way down the stairs.



As he had expected, Aunt Petunia was hysterical, Uncle Vernon was livid and Dudley was playing the victim. Aunt Petunia was trying to ask Dudley what happened, but she was unable to get a reply.



However, when he saw Harry, Dudley looked him straight in the eye and growled “Him. ” Harry was reminded of their reaction after the Dementor attack down the alleyway. Harry took a deep breath in.



“Yeah, I did it and I don’t regret it! Actually I’m just sorry I didn’t do more damage.” The Dursleys looked like someone had slapped them. “Just to let you know I won’t be bothering you for much longer, I’m leaving on Friday for good and I will never darken your door again.” They still looked bewildered and seething at the same time.



Harry stormed back upstairs and slammed his door. He thought he heard Uncle Vernon mutter “Good riddance.” Harry flung himself onto his bed and stared at the ceiling, trying to calm himself down, thinking about the Burrow and Bill and Fleur’s upcoming wedding.



A few minutes later, he heard his door open. He sat up and was about to tell Uncle Vernon or Aunt Petunia to leave, but it was Dudley. The bruise on his eye had started to show and it was starting to swell.



“Why are you in all of those newspapers? And why are they calling you ‘The Chosen One’?” Dudley sounded curious and accusing at the same time.



“Just leave it, Dudley,” Harry muttered, the anger starting to creep up on him again.



“No, I won’t leave it, not until you tell me what’s going on!” Dudley said determinedly.



“Leave it!” Harry snarled



“No!” Dudley roared.



Harry was about to tell him to shove off again, when suddenly everything all flooded out. “You really want to know what’s going on? Well, I’ll tell you. I have Voldemort and all his gang trying to kill me on every opportunity, because I am the one who has to kill him. I have the minister on my tail trying to make me their poster boy, my life all over the papers. Everywhere I go; people just gawp at my scar. I have almost died more times that I can count. Then I have to come back here and have you insulting the one person I really care about! You think you have life so hard don’t you? Oh mummy put me on a diet, that’s the worst thing in the world, boo hoo. Well you don’t know anything, you stupid, spoilt, arrogant boy! At least you have parents! At least you don’t go to sleep hearing your mothers last words, begging with Voldemort not to kill her son! You didn’t have to watch as the people who you cared about most were murdered right in front of you, did you? You don’t know what its like to think that every day could be your last? You didn’t have to watch the greatest wizard of all time get murdered in front of you, did you? Yes, that’s right, Dumbledore’s dead!” Harry choked, all of his bottled up emotions poured out of him and suddenly, he felt like he was 15 again, yelling at his best friends. He also noticed that his Aunt and Uncle had walked in the room and Aunt Petunia was looking exceptionably pale.



“Dumbledores…dead…how!?” Aunt petunia whispered.



“Like you really care! Snape murdered him!” Harry spat, not caring that they wouldn’t understand. But to his utmost surprise, there was a glint of recognition in her aunts eye.



“Snape…he knew Lily didn’t he?” Aunt petunia said, sounding almost fearful. Harry nodded, very surprised that she knew that.

“Then why are you here?” Uncle Vernon said angrily. “You’re going to get me and my family killed!”



“But you wont have to worry about me anymore after Friday, when my friends are gonna pick me up and that’ll be the last you’ll ever hear from me. You’ll finally have your normal lives back, without me messing it up!” Harry said bitterly. The left the room, leaving the three Dursleys in shock.



_______________________________________



Leading up to the Weasley’s arrival, time went exceedingly slowly. When the day finally arrived, everyone in the house was extremely tense. He and Dudley had not spoken about his confessions and since that day, Dudley had barely left the house; he looked as though he thought something was going to jump out and kill him at any time. Also, his eye was blacker than ever and he probably didn’t want to explain how his apparently weak cousin, Harry Potter, was able to give him a black eye.



Before Harry went downstairs, he made sure everything was packed, including everything from under the floorboard. He also looked at the fake Horcrux again, and the note. R.A.B. Who is R.A.B and what have they done with the real Horcrux? These were the questions that had been spinning round his head, but every time he hit a dead end. Time was going slower than ever. After he had eaten, Harry decided to have one last look outside Privet Drive. Outside, summer was in full bloom, all the flowers were out and there was a gentle breeze cooling his face. On his seventeenth birthday, the protection his mother left him would be over. It’s best to get away from here before then, be with the Order and hidden from Voldemort until I’m ready to face him, when he’s a mortal man, Harry thought. Moreover, I don’t think I could spend even another day with the Dursleys.



An hour or so later, Harry arrived back at the house. He could hear the hum of the television from the living room. Dudley had taken refuge in his room; his eye had now reached the stage where it looked like there was a flattened slug squashed against it. He went and sat in the living room, staying clear of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia who were all dressed up and were evidently going to go out and ‘celebrate’ when Harry leaves. He looked at the clock or the hundredth time that day. Five minutes left to wait. He hoped there wouldn’t be a repeat performance of when they picked him up last time. He didn’t think the Dursleys could cope with their living room being blown up again. Uncle Vernon seemed to be frozen to his chair and Aunt Petunia just stared at the fireplace, her face was so pale and pallid she could have been mistaken for a ghost. All of a sudden, Harry heard a knock at the front door and muffled voices talking behind it. Harry stood up and quickly strode towards the sounds. He was finally going back to the only place he called home.

Chapter 3 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
Ok, sorry about taking so long and then it being so short, but i had to change the whole chapter as it wasnt right, so i took away some of the original chapter 3 and put in some chapter 4. I hope you like it and i will put the next chapter up soon. Also, this is the next day after leaving the Dursleys and going to the Weasley's

Harry always loved staying with the Weasley’s. He always felt welcome, like he belonged. The Burrow emanated warmth and happiness, even in these dark days. As the days passed, Harry fell back into the routine at the Weasley’s and helped get things ready for the upcoming wedding. He still managed to spend time in the garden with Ron, laughing together and sometimes playing a game of chess (Ron always won) and occasionally Ginny joined them as well, steering clear of their increasingly stressed mother. Mrs Weasley was constantly rushing around, randomly hugging someone and sometimes yelling at someone. She became even worse when Fred and George came round to help, however they kept on playing practical jokes which, as funny as they were, did not amuse their mum, but was highly amusing to watch.





It didn’t seem long before Hermione arrived; she ran straight at Harry and gave him a hug, almost knocking him flat. She also hugged Ron, but there was a bit of tension between them, which was almost impossible to notice if you didn’t know the two of them extremely well. Her bandy-legged cat, Crookshanks, followed her, sniffing his new surroundings. Mrs. Weasley ushered her in, planting a kiss on her cheek, before rushing off to stop the twins trying to feed a gnome a Canary Cream. Hermione went over to Ginny and gave her a hug too then they went to her room and unpacked.





When the girls finally came down, Hermione immediately frowned at Harry. Obviously, Ginny had told her about the break up, even though Harry fairly was sure she already knew before.It wasn’t long before everyone went down into the garden for a well-earned game of Quidditch. All the Weasley’s were playing, including Bill and Charlie, who had just Apparated there half an hour earlier. It had been a long time since any of them had been on brooms, so they were all rusty, especially Bill and Charlie, who hadn’t really played for years. Even Hermione joined in; however, she was not that confident on the old broom. Hermione played Keeper against Ron, Ginny was against Bill as Chaser, Harry was against Charlie as Seeker and Fred and George were against each other as Beaters. It was a wonderful feeling, the air whistling through his hair again, reminding Harry of his passion for the game and all the good memories from Hogwarts. They played for hours; Ron kept on improving as they played, he relaxed and was saving more goals than ever before. Even Fred and George couldn’t discourage him with their jokes and taunts. Charlie also taught Harry some new tactics to help him catch the Snitch. Everyone reluctantly stopped when Mrs. Weasley called them all to dinner, their stomachs growling. Just before they all went in, Harry pulled Hermione and Ron aside.





“Hey guys, I was thinking of going to Godric’s Hollow after my birthday,” he said.





“Oh ok, well we are coming too, of course,” Hermione said. In spite of himself, Harry smiled at his best friends; he couldn’t put into words how thankful he was for them.





“I wonder if they found a teacher for Defence against the Dark Arts yet,” Harry said to no-one in particular.





“Yeah, I wonder who it will be, I hope it’s not someone horrible again,” Ginny added.





“Oh, I think you’ll like this teacher,” Mrs Weasley said, mysteriously.





“You know who it is? Please tell us! ” Ginny pleaded.





“You’ll find out soon enough, it’s a surprise. Now go upstairs and get ready for dinner, it will be ready in five minutes,” Mrs Weasley left the room, leaving the others contemplating who it would be.





At the dining table, after Hermione was congratulated by everyone, the topic of the wedding sprung up. Ron was getting increasingly worried about what his mother was going to make him wear, desperately hoping that they wouldn’t be like the ones he had to wear to the Yule Ball. Then his eyes fell on Ginny. I’ve known her for years, why didn’t I notice her before? He sighed heavily and continued to eat his food, trying to stop his eyes from straying over to Ginny.





*********************





Harry awoke with a jump. Ron had just produced an exceptionally loud snore, rousing him from his slumber. As he sat up, he felt like he was forgetting something. He walked over to Ron’s bed and woke him up. Ron groaned loudly. After they got dressed, they went downstairs. The kitchen was dark, so Harry turned the light on and was taken aback when everyone jumped out. Lupin, Tonks, Mad-eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley, Fred, George, Bill, Fleur, Ginny, Hermione and Charlie were all standing in the kitchen. There was an enormous red and gold banner, with the glittery words “HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY!” on it.





Harry blinked, as he looked at the mass of people standing in front of him. He had completely forgotten that it was his birthday! He turned to Ron, who was grinning at him. The table groaned under the enormous load of presents. Harry felt happiness blossom in him. He had never had a birthday present before he went to Hogwarts, let alone a party. Everyone crowded round as Harry picked up his first present, which was wrapped with red and gold wrapping paper . The card attached to it said:





Harry,


Happy birthday, sorry I couldn’t be there on your birthday but I will see you soon. I hope you like your present.


Hagrid






Inside was some of Hagrid’s homemade rock cakes and toffee. There was also a homemade birthday cake, which was like the one he had brought him on his eleventh birthday. It was a chocolate cake, with green icing on it saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY! Harry smiled and made a mental note to thank him. He carefully put down the cake and picked up another brightly wrapped present.





Harry couldn’t remember ever having so many presents. Coloured wrapping paper littered the table and flowed onto the floor. His favourite present was Ginny. It was a handmade bracelet. It was a plain silver chain, inlayed with small emeralds that glistened and shone in the light. For a moment, he lust stared at it in amazement. There was a note explaining what it was.





Dear Harry,





Happy Birthday. I thought that instead of buying you something, I would make you something. I made you a protection bracelet, for when you are on your travels. It won’t protect you from all the curses but it will help.





Love Ginny






Harry discreetly slipped the note into his pocket then put the bracelet on straight away. After he had finished opening his presents and thanks everyone, he noticed Ginny slipping out into the garden. Harry picked up a piece of toast from the plate Mrs Weasley had made for him and followed Ginny outside. She had her back to him and was looking outside at the view of the garden.





“Hi,” said Harry. Ginny jumped and turned round.





“Hi,” she said breathlessly. “Happy Birthday again.”





“Thanks,” Harry replied. “I really love the bracelet Ginny, it’s incredible.”





“You really like it?” She asked nervously.





“It’s amazing. I will never take it off,” Harry declared.





“Oh, you don’t have to do that Harry” she said, blushing slightly.





“No, I want to. You must have spent ages making it” Harry said. Ginny started to blush harder. “Why have you come outside?”





“I just wanted a bit of fresh air, it was a bit packed inside,” Ginny replied.





“We should better go in, everyone will be missing the birthday boy,” Ginny said slowly, reluctantly turning away from Harry. Harry chuckled at being called the birthday boy for the first time in his life. He then followed her as she walked back into the house. Inside, everyone was chatting with each other merrily. He noted Ron and Hermione talking together and Fred was showing Tonks one of their latest products. Harry felt a pang of upset, thinking of the people who were missing, who should have been there, but couldn’t. They were all gone. Today was his birthday, his coming of age, but all he was able to think about was where he was going the following week. To Godric’s Hollow.


Chapter 4 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
Ok, heres the next chapter, i hope you like it. Please leave a review and tell me what you think

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Hermione asked Harry once again.

“Yes, ” Harry replied decisively as he stifled a yawn. He hadn’t slept very well the last week; his thoughts were always dwelling on Godric’s Hollow.

“Well, you know that we’re both behind you mate,” said Ron.

“I’m coming as well.” When Harry turned round to find the person who spoke and saw Ginny. Her long crimson hair was tied was back loosely and her face set with fierce determination. His stomach did a cartwheel when he saw her.

“Look, Ginny… we will be back later, tomorrow at the latest,” Harry said.

“There is no way I am changing my mind on this, you need my support when you go to your parents’ grave,”Ginny replied firmly. “And there’s no way you can stop me!”

“But-” Harry started but was cut off by Ginny.

“No buts, I am coming with you whether you like it or not!” Ginny declared, her eyes flashing warningly. Harry looked at Ginny and knew there was no use trying to stop her. He did not want to get the infamous Weasley temper started. Once she had her mind set on something, there was nothing he could do to change it. He glanced at Ron and Hermione and knew they were thinking the same thing.

“But what are you going to say to Mum and Dad?” Ron said finally.

“What about Mum and Dad?” Mr Weasley said as he came into the room.

“I’m going with Harry to Godric’s Hollow,” Ginny said assertively. Before Mr Weasley could reply, they heard Mrs Weasley enter.

“You’re what?” she shrieked. “You absolutely can’t, you’re too young and it’s far too dangerous!”

“Mum, I can look after myself and I need to be there. Plus its not like I’m going alone, it’s only to Godric’s Hollow, not a battlefield!” said Ginny through gritted teeth. It was not often that Mrs Weasley lost an argument, but this was one of those rare times.

Harry still wasn’t sure how he felt about going to his parents’ grave for the first time. He didn’t know what to expect, he had never visited it before. They had previously decided to travel using Floo powder as it was quick and easy. The Order had certain contacts that allowed it to be connected for just for that day.

Harry went first; he seized a pinch of Floo powder, stood in the flames and yelled ‘Godric’s Hollow’ clearly, remembering vividly his first trip using Floo powder and the consequences of not speaking clearly. He closed his eyes and pulled his elbows in as he felt the uncomfortable flames licking around him and the dizziness that swept through him. He prayed that he had spoke clearly enough and that he would end up in the right place.

Suddenly, the spinning stopped and he was standing in the remains of a burnt down house- My old house, Harry thought numbly. He looked around. Some things had survived the fire, but it looked like no one had been in the house for years. He glanced at the fireplace; it was black from age and dirt but was still standing and intact. Harry jumped when flames erupted and someone came through the fire. It was Ginny. As she stumbled out of the fireplace, her face slightly stained with soot, she tripped on something and fell forward. Harry automatically caught her. Even the black soot could not hide her beauty. She looked at him with her big brown eyes and smiled shyly.

“Thanks,” she whispered breathlessly, not taking her eyes off him and not moving from his arms either. Before he could reply, someone else came out of the fire. Swiftly, Ginny moved away from Harry’s arms to help her brother get the soot out of his eyes. Just then, Hermione appeared. She was coughing faintly but had managed to stop the soot from getting into her eyes. She quickly glanced around, checking that no one was around, and drew out her wand. She first pointed her at Ginny and said ‘Scourgify.’ Instantly, all traces of the soot were gone. She also did the same to Harry, then to Ron. Then Ron repeated the spell on Hermione.

Wordlessly, the group split up and looked around, looking for any signs of where the graves might be. As Harry wandered about, he tried to imagine himself living there. Most of the furniture was severely burnt, but it wasn’t too difficult to make out what each room was. The house was huge, bigger than Harry had expected it to be. He gasped as he found more and more rooms. It even looked like there were three floors, but Harry didn’t think the remains of the stairs would be able to support his weight. Suddenly, he heard faint calls coming from the right of him. Quickly, he strode off in that direction; he was full of both tension and dread about what he might see.

When he came to what looked like the garden, he saw Ginny and saw that her face was pale. In front of her were two gravestones. They were simple and elegant, with two angels carved around it. He distantly heard Hermione and Ron come up from behind him, but he didn’t take any notice. It was as though they were hundreds of miles away from him and the graves. On them were two names:

‘HERE LIES LILY POTTER AND JAMES POTTER. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.’

Harry knelt at the graves and lightly traced the indented letters with his finger. No one was making a sound. He had never felt so close to his parents, but yet so far from them. He felt overwhelming guilt about never visiting it before. Images started popping up in his head. The ghostly figures of his parents at the graveyard with Voldemort…The picture of the old Order of the Phoenix with his parents forever smiling at the camera … Snape’s memory of them in the Pensieve after their O.W.Ls… Their voices just seconds before their death, a flash of green light. The only memories he had of his parents. The only ones. He felt a single, warm tear run down his ice-cold cheek.

After all those years, he had lead himself to dream that maybe his parents didn’t really die, that they were hiding and one day they would come back to him. Now even that glimmer of a wish was gone, if it was actually there before. It was a silly little dream. They would never come back. Harry just wished he could have known them they were like strangers to him. It’s not fair, why does everything have to happen to me? He thought angrily, even though he knew the answer. The anger was replaced by overwhelming sorrow. He lost all sense of time, tears started to fall from his eyes again. The next thing he knew, someone embracing him. He instantly recognised the flowery smell and realised it was Ginny was comforting him, the warmth of her body and the softness of her touch calmed Harry a little, but he was still crying. Ginny knelt next to him, still hugging him. Harry could feel Ginny shaking slightly. He glanced over her shoulder through his tear-filled eyes and saw Hermione wrapped in Ron’s arms as she leaned on him for support. Ron was patting her back tenderly, a tear rolling down his face too.

Harry didn’t know how long he lay there, weeping into Ginny’s arms, still staring at the graves. All of a sudden, he felt unbelievingly angry again. Angry at Voldemort for doing this to his family, for doing it to hundreds of other families, ripping them apart. Dumbledore died trying to stop him. Now there was only Harry left. He was the only person who would be able to destroy him. If he doesn’t then the world would be taken over by Voldemort again, like had happened all those years ago. Harry couldn’t fail. He wouldn’t fail. I need to find the Horcruxes, before it’s too late. Harry thought.

Nevertheless, he had no idea where to begin. The prophecy was echoing in his head for the hundredth time. ‘Neither can live while the other survives.’ So it comes down to the fact that either I will be murdered or I will be a murderer, he thought miserably. It was all up to him. Even though he was told about it over a year ago, he was still trying to get his head around it. However, one thing he was sure of was that he would avenge his parents’ death, and all the other people and their families that Voldemort shattered. Even if it kills me, Harry resolved. He gripped some of the loose soil with one hand and let it fall again. I love you mum and dad. I miss you. He properly mourned the parents he never knew, for the first time. He thought about his horrible childhood and the life his parents should have had, deserved to have.

Finally, Harry felt it was time to go. He stood up, still holding onto Ginny, and walked over to Ron, who still had Hermione clinging on to him. As they walked towards the fireplace, he felt someone speak from behind him.“Are you sure you’re ready to go?” asked Ginny gently.

“Yes, I think that I’m ready to go back now,” replied Harry, his voice hoarse from not speaking for so long and the endless tears.

Harry went in his pocket and took out the small bag of Floo powder. Bracing himself, he took one last look at Ginny and then threw some powder onto the fire and yelled “The Burrow!” Then he quickly shut his eyes, tucked in his elbows, and waited for the spinning to stop. When he arrived back at the Burrow, at first, he felt disorientated and suddenly he felt himself being brought into a fierce hug by Mrs Weasley.

“Are you okay dear? You’re not hurt are you?” she asked frantically. Before Harry could answer, he heard someone else come out of the fire. Ginny appeared from the fire and Mrs Weasley instantly rushed over and hugged her daughter, asking her the same questions. Before either of them was able to reply, Hermione came out of the fire, closely followed by Ron. Mrs Weasley hugged them all again.

“Why don’t you all go upstairs and get changed, I’ll make you all something to eat,” Mrs Weasley said, gestured for them to go upstairs. Slowly, they went. After Ron and Hermione went into the rooms, Harry grabbed Ginny’s arm as she went to leave.

“Thanks for the support; I really appreciated it. I don’t think I would have been able to go through it without you,” Harry mumbled to Ginny.

“No problem, that’s what friends are for,” replied Ginny, smiling weakly. He let go of her arm and watched her go into her bedroom. He had virtually seen the pain in her eyes. The pain he had caused. When Harry got into the room, he felt a wave of tiredness wash through him. He sat on the bed; his tiredness was overwhelming and without meaning to, he fell asleep.

It seemed only minutes later when Ron was calling him to wake up. As he started to wake up, he felt extremely hungry. So he went downstairs for some breakfast. In the kitchen, Ginny and Hermione were eating breakfast. There was no sign of Mr Weasley, he was probably still at work. After eating his breakfast, Harry went outside. As the cool breeze hit his face, he started to think of yesterday’s events. The image of the graves was imprinted in his mind. He remembered Ginny holding him as he wept. Then thoughts of Voldemort came into his mind. Harry sat on the floor, his mind flooded with hatred of Voldemort. Innocent people had been murdered for no reason, just because Voldemort felt like killing them, families ripped apart because of him.

Harry felt that there was someone coming up behind him. He reckoned it would be Ron, seeing if he was all right. But the person who sat next to him was not Ron, it was Ginny. For a moment, neither of them spoke. Then Ginny broke the silence. “Hermione to me that you are going back to Hogwarts?”

“Yeah, that’s right. I’ve got a few things to sort out,” replied Harry. Then his mind travelled back to the conversation he had with Ron and Hermione about Hogwarts on the train ride back.

“I think we should go back to Hogwarts next year,” said Ron. “We’ve been there so long, we should go there and figure out a plan; we don’t even know where to start looking for the Horcruxes and maybe we would find some clues or something at Hogwarts.”

“I agree with Ron, we should go back, plus we could learn some more defence spells while we are there and I could look in the library for anyone with initials R.A.B. I might even be able to find where the cup is or something of Ravenclaw,” Hermione added.

Harry didn’t reply. He understood what they were talking about, but going back to Hogwarts would bring back so many painful memories. Harry finally came to a decision. They would go back to Hogwarts, at least for a while. Harry knew that hiding from those memories wouldn’t take them away, he would have to face them. At least he knew he wasn’t alone, he would have Hermione and Ron to support him, maybe even Ginny.


Harry came back out of that train of thought when Ginny started to talk again. “I’m really glad you’re coming; even though we are not going out anymore, I still want us to be friends. It wouldn’t be the same without you lot.” She reached out her hand and took hold of Harry’s. His entire arm tingled at her touch. Harry automatically looked up into her chocolate brown eyes. “Once you’ve destroyed Voldemort, you will be able to have a normal life and I’ll see, maybe I would consider going out with you again,” Ginny said teasingly.

“Look Ginny, I don’t know whether I can destroy Voldemort, I’m only seventeen, even Dumbledore couldn’t kill him, how can I do it?” said Harry hopelessly, voicing his fears that he had kept secret for over a year.

“Nonsense, Harry you are a brilliant wizard; the best wizard I know, you are brave and strong. You can defeat him, I know you can,” she said encouragingly. “Just believe in yourself.” Ginny gave him a quick, reassuring hug and then she stood up, had one last look at Harry and went back to the house. Harry watched her as she walked away. Harry knew, as he watched her walk away, her long red hair dancing behind her, that he was in love with Ginny Weasley.
Chapter 5 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay. Double spacing doesnt work for me and i had some grammer problems, then my laptop crashed and i only just got it back, this time i really will update faster, i'm reading through the next chapter right now. Sorry for the wait. Please review and tell me what you think!



Harry jumped in his sleep when he heard numerous banging and crashing coming from downstairs. For a moment, he thought it was just Fred and George showing off some of their new pranks, but then he remembered.

“Fleur and Bills wedding!” Harry mumbled under his breath. He tore himself out of his warm bed just as Ron was doing the same thing.

“Morning,” Ron said.

“It sounds like there’s a war going on downstairs,” Harry commented absently, still trying to wake up properly. He was starting to feel quite excited, he had never been to a Muggle wedding before; let alone a magical one. Whenever the Dursleys were invited to a wedding, Harry was always left round a neighbours house. Dudley would strut round the house in his new suit and make snide little comments at Harry, just to make him feel worse about not being allowed to the parties and weddings.

“Well, there will be a lot going on, Mum always gets very emotional at things like this,” Ron said as they walked out of the bedroom door. Downstairs was chaos. Harry was almost knocked over as a red head rushed past him to go to the bathroom. In the kitchen, Mrs Weasley had to make breakfast for Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Fred, George, Bill, Charlie, Mr Weasley and herself, so there was no doubt that she was very stressed. Harry lay his eyes upon the groom.

Bill’s eyes were gleaming with excitement, but he also looked ever so slightly nervous. His face was still a bit disfigured, the scars were still clearly visible and always would be, according to the Healers. Mrs Weasley called them his ‘warrior wounds.’ Harry heard Charlie say to Fred, ‘Thank Merlin Fleur is staying with her parents, if mum had to feed one more person, I think she would faint!’

After a hurried breakfast, Hermione and Ginny disappeared into Ginny’s bedroom to get ready. Harry and Ron followed suit, going into Ron’s room and pulling out their new dress robes Mrs Weasley had bought them.

When they went downstairs, Harry felt himself attacked by something wet on his head. He jumped up and turned round, only to find the stressed Mrs Weasley brandishing a wet comb at his head. She grabbed his arm, swung him round to face her and then tried to flatten his unruly hair; but lost. She then turned to Ron and she brushed his hair until it stuck to his head. They walked away, rubbing their aching heads and looked for Hermione and Ginny. They couldn’t see them anywhere.

“They must still be in their room, what’s taking them so long?” Ron wondered, fiddling with his new robes. They were plain black with no lace; however, some parts of the robes were frayed and worn away, the tell-tell signs that they were second hand. Harry’s dress robes looked very much like his old ones, they were deep green, but unlike Ron’s; his were new. Bill had picked up some of his money from Gringotts a while ago and Mrs Weasley had gone shopping for him.

“Well, they’re girls, it takes them about a zillion years to get ready, remember the Yule ball?” Harry replied.

“Oh yeah, let’s go outside and see how everything’s getting on,” Ron said after having one last look at the stairs in case he saw Hermione.

Harry and Ron sifted through the throng of people gathering in the house. There seemed to be double the amount of people in the room than there was before they went upstairs. When they walked out into the garden; they were astounded. Everywhere was decorated, beautiful flowers were elegantly placed on the tables. The lawn was a perfect shade of green. It didn’t look at all like the same garden that Harry had played Quidditch in only days before. As they strolled around the garden, they came across a sight that was even more breathtaking. Part of the garden was enclosed, silk casually flown through trees, all concentrating on one point. There was a delicate arch, encased in flowers and petals, with fairies dancing around, illuminating the area with a brilliant glow. Chairs had been neatly set up facing the arch; each chair looked as though they had been hand crafted.

When Ron and Harry were finally able to tear their eyes away from the arch, they decided to go back to the house. The first thing they saw when the house came back into view was someone with bubblegum pink hair. As they approached, she swung round to reveal a very cheerful Tonks. She was clasping the hand of Remus Lupin; who looked much happier than Harry had seen him in a long time. He seemed to have less grey hairs and there was a sparkle in his eyes that wasn’t there before.

“Wotcher you two!” Tonks said happily. Harry turned to look at Ron, but saw he was looking elsewhere. Well not looking, more like gawping. Harry followed his line of sight and found himself gawping too. Gliding out of the door was Ginny and Hermione, who were both wearing beautiful, glittery dress robes. Hermione was wearing dress robes of shimmering lilac, her hair was carefully tied in a plait on her head. All hints of frizzy-ness were gone.

However, Harry was even more taken aback by Ginny. She was wearing a pale gold dress, which glistened as she walked. Some parts of the dress were made of silk, which floated behind her, as if she was an angel. Her auburn red hair was lustrous and glossy, flowing just past her shoulders. She took his breath away.

“Hey boys, roll your tongues back in and take your jaws off the floor,” Lupin muttered humorously, who was then standing beside them. Harry instantly felt embarrassed, and from the looks of it, Ron was too. Lupin just chuckled. As the girls approached, Harry calmed himself down.

“Wow, you look…” Harry started, not knowing how to end it and wasn’t able to anyway. He felt very tongue tied.

“Yeah, you look… wow!” Ron sputtered. The girls looked at each other then laughed. Harry looked at Ron, bewildered. Ron shrugged his shoulders and they waited them to stop laughing.

Girls. Harry thought exasperatedly. Why are they so confusing?

It wasn’t long before everyone was called to sit down for the ceremony. Ginny had to go and find Fleur; she was supposed to walk down the aisle with Gabrielle. Harry heard the collective gasps of amazement from people first coming into the area. As they sat down, they noticed Bill, who was standing at the top of the altar in immaculate silk dress robes, looking nervous and excited at the same time.

Harry glanced over at the other set of the chairs where Fleur’s family and friends were sitting. Many of them had the same outstanding beauty as Fleur; the long silvery hair was unmistakably that of people who were part Veela. Suddenly, people started to stand as the music started and people gasped in awe when they saw Fleur. Harry was stunned by her beauty that was enhanced by the beautiful white dress robes she was wearing. The dress was sequined, fancy, but not over the top. She glided elegantly down the aisle, her silvery hair flowing around her casually. She seemed to float towards Bill, her face looking blissful and her eyes seemed to sparkle. She looked luminous. Everyone seemed to be entranced. Harry tore his eyes away and saw Ginny, gracefully walking with Gabrielle. Harry couldn’t stop staring at Ginny, drinking in her every move. Finally, he turned his attention to Fleur and Bill and watched them exchange vows and rings.

The ceremony went perfectly, many people cried, including Hermione and Mrs Weasley. Harry could see the utmost love in their eyes as they slipped the rings onto each other fingers and the excitement of starting a life together. After the ceremony, everyone moved to the garden for food. Fleur and Bill looked so happy and in love, never taking their eyes off each other, walking hand in hand to the party. Bill was smiling from ear to ear.

Then suddenly, music started, and Bill swooped Fleur onto the dance floor for their first dance as husband and wife. After a while, other people started to dance as well. Hermione and Ginny were sitting with Mrs Weasley, looking cheerful. Harry couldn’t bear to look at Ginny, in case she started to dance with another boy. If she did, Harry knew he wouldn’t be able to control his actions. He noticed Ron sneakily looking at Hermione. “Why don’t you ask her for a dance?” said Harry. Ron turned to face him.

“Who?” Ron asked, looking shocked.

“Hermione, of course, you can’t stop staring at her,” Harry laughed.

“No I’m not!” Ron mumbled, shifting in his seat. After a minute, he said, “Do you think I should?”

“Yeah, go for it, enjoy yourself,” Harry replied, shrugging his shoulders.

At that, Ron stood up and strode over to Hermione. Harry knew he couldn’t trust himself to dance with Ginny, no matter how much he wanted to. So instead, he watched Ron and Hermione dance, Ron was stumbling every now and then with Hermione patiently correcting him. They looked like they were really enjoying themselves. Harry grinned as Bill came over and sat next to him.

“Congratulations," Harry said.

“Thanks Harry, are you enjoying yourself?” Bill enquired.

“Yeah, it’s great, the ceremony was fantastic, everywhere looks so lovely,” Harry said.

“Thanks, Fleur has great taste,” Bill said happily. “How are you?”

“Not bad," Harry replied. For a little while, they just sat watching all the couples waltzing. “I don’t want to spoil the mood or anything but…the wounds…when its full moon-?”

“Do I transform into a werewolf?” Bill added helpfully. Harry nodded. “Not exactly, I just sprouted fur everywhere and the next morning is a very large craving for red meat.”

“Oh good… I mean, that you don’t become a werewolf,” Harry said quickly.

“Yeah, I consider myself lucky,” Bill said, sighing. “Seeing as it’s a party, do you want to try a Firewhiskey?”

“Oh, okay, sure!” Harry said, surprised.

“It’s a time to have fun," Bill said cheerfully. He then conjured two Firewhiskey’s and passed one to Harry.

“Thanks, I’ve always wondered what they tasted like," Harry said. At that, Harry downed the bottle in one, ignoring the burning sensation in his throat. Suddenly, he noticed someone coming into the garden. He almost dropped the empty bottle when he realised who it was. Harry was gob-smacked. Harry quickly stood up, but had to sit down for a moment when the drink started to take effect before he rushed straight over to Ginny.

“Have you finally decided that you wanted to talk to me?” said Ginny. There was a hint of annoyance and hurt in her voice.

“I’m sorry Ginny, but look over there!” Harry said hurriedly. Looking confused, she looked in the direction that Harry was pointing. She instantly recognised who it was, there was no mistaking that profile.

“What’s Viktor Krum doing here?” She wondered.

“Well Fleur would have invited him; she was probably friends with him during the Triwizard tournament. That doesn’t matter, what about Ron!” Harry said urgently.

“Oh no, just when the two of them had stopped rowing!” Ginny moaned. “We’ve got to stop Ron seeing him!”

“But how will we do that?” Harry said, looking from Ron and Hermione to Krum.

“Let’s just go over and try to distract him,” Ginny muttered.

“Ok by the way, you look gorgeous.” The words came out of Harry’s mouth before he could stop it. The drink must be affecting him more than he thought. “Oh, sorry the words kind of slipp...”

“Don’t worry about it, it’s a compliment remember?” Ginny replied, a smile playing on her lips. Then she turned and rushed towards Krum, her dress shimmering as she hurried away. Harry looked at Ron and Hermione, they both looked happy, happier than he had seen them in a while and for once, they weren’t rowing. Then Viktor bloody Krum turns up, and causes complications, Harry thought irritably. He unconsciously rubbed his bracelet that Ginny had made for him and then Harry briskly went to join Ginny with Viktor Krum.

He looked much as he did three years ago, with the curved nose and thick eyebrows. However, small things had changed. He looked more tanned and some of his features had sharpened and he seemed taller. Well he is twenty odd now! Harry thought.

“Ginny, Harry, so good to see you!” he said, his voice full of genuine enthusiasm. “How is everybody?”

“Everyone’s great thanks, its nice to see you again after all these years,” Harry replied. “Why don’t we go over here to talk properly?”

“Okay, is Herm-own-ninny here?” Krum asked eagerly.

“Yes she is here, she will be over in a while but I think she’s talking to a few people," Ginny said, standing to one side of him so he couldn’t see Ron and Hermione dancing behind her.

“Oh, well, I’ll see her later then,” Krum said, clearly disappointed.

“Hey, do you guys want a drink; Hermione’s just gone to g- ” Harry felt a wave of dread run through him. Just when everything was going so well…

“Hello Ron, I haven’t seen you in long time,” Krum said. Harry took a deep breath in then turned round and looked at his best friend. Ron was just standing, staring at Viktor Krum; shock was clear on his face.

“Let’s go and help Hermione get the drinks,” Harry said hurriedly, dragging Ron, who was still glaring at Krum, away from them.

“What’s that grouchy git doing here?” Ron said furiously.

“Look calm down, Fleur would have invited him,” Harry replied trying to speak as calmly as he could. He was virtually carrying Ron towards Hermione.

“What’s the matter Ron?” Hermione asked. Ron’s ears had gone red and he didn’t look pleased.

“Guess what; Vicky’s here,” Ron spat.

“Wha- Viktor Krum is here?” Hermione asked, her face a mixture of happiness and shock.

“You should go over to him, he’s waiting for you,” Ron said nastily. Hermione looked hurt and confused. She took one last look at Ron and then strode off towards Ginny and Viktor Krum. Harry thought he heard a small sob as she brushed past him.

“Why did you have to say that, I thought everything was okay with you two?” Harry said. “You should go over there and apologise, she didn’t even do anything and you went and bit her head off!”

Ron had his head in his hands, so Harry was unable to work out what he was saying apart from the words “Vicky” and “Git.” Harry shrugged and left Ron, to join Hermione and Ginny. Hermione was talking enthusiastically with Viktor Krum, who was replying just as enthusiastically. Ginny looked left out.

“What happened?” Ginny asked.

“Well Ron got in a sulk about Krum and was rude to Hermione, she didn’t even say anything; he just had a go at her. He really upset her, so I told him to go and apologise and I hope that he will do it,” Harry explained quickly. “Enough about them, he’s a big boy now, let’s dance.”

Harry grabbed a surprised Ginny and dragged her onto the dance floor. As they danced, Harry spotted Ron still standing in the same spot Harry left him, evidently still trying to decide what to do. When he locked eyes with Ginny, he looked as though he decided. Harry watched as Ron marched over to Hermione, but didn’t see what happened next, he was too distracted trying to keep up with Ginny’s dance moves and avoiding treading on her feet.

It’s like how it use to be, no awkwardness, just relaxing and enjoying ourselves, Harry thought cheerfully as he danced with Ginny.

“You’re still wearing that bracelet?” she said shyly, spotting the bracelet from under his sleeve.

“Of course I told you, I will never take it off,” Harry replied softly. Then next song came on, a slower song. Harry automatically pulled her closer as they started to waltz slowly round the dance floor, moving rhythmically to the tune. Harry could see the smoky coloured glitter shining off her eyes and the rose coloured lipstick on her perfect lips. He could also detect the sweet, flowery scent of her perfume. He suddenly regretted asking her to dance when he felt the old monster stirring in his chest again. He desperately tried to repress it, before it burst out. He felt his reason for breaking up with her crumbling. It was taking all of his self control not to grab her and kiss her. Harry stopped abruptly when the song stopped and he walked swiftly away, he couldn’t bear to stand so close to her. He left Ginny standing, looking confused. When he turned round a corner, he had a sudden urge to kick something. Instead, he leaned against the wall and tried to clear his head. I need to protect her, it’s for her own good, I need to protect her…

“What’s the matter Harry?” Hermione said, bringing him out of his reverie.

“Nothing,” Harry lied.

“It’s Ginny isn’t it”? Hermione said quietly. Harry looked at her, surprised. “Harry, its up to you what you do, but I know how miserable you both are; but I want you to know, you can always talk to me.”

“Thanks Hermione,” Harry murmured, wandering how much she knew and also wondering if what she says was true. Does Ginny miss me as much as I miss her?

“Come back to the party, Harry,” Hermione said softly. Harry nodded and followed Hermione.

The rest of the night was a blur.
Chapter 6 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
Okay, first of all sorry for the long delay, I have had a few problems. First, I’ve had a bit of a problem contacting my new beta, so this is Un-Betaed and I’ll update it when he replies, I’ve had my GCSE exams a while ago, so I had a lot less time, and also, since I read deathly hallows, I am quite reluctant to write more. I might if I get the confidence to, but I’m not sure when. While you wait, you can read my other story, Holly, which I update much more regularly!
Anyway, I hope you like this chapter and let me know what you think! Also, a big thanks to my friend 14T for going over this chapter, I owe you one!


“You’d better hurry up…”

“You’d better hurry up…”

 

“Or mum will kill you…”

 

“She’s angry enough as it is…”

 

“And I don’t think you’d like to add to that!”

 

“Okay, we get it!” Ron called out to his very amused twin brothers. Today, it was time to leave the Burrow and return to school. Unfortunately, they were both running late, after not only waking up late, but forgetting to pack until the last minute. That was why they Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley were running around the room like headless chickens, trying to get dressed and pack the last few things, all in about thirty seconds.

 

“HARRY POTTER AND RONALD WEASLEY! GET DOWN HERE NOW OR WE’LL LEAVE YOU BOTH BEHIND!” the unmistakable voice of Mrs Weasley screamed.

 

“Harry, have you seen my quill? You know the one Hermione got me…” Ron asked as he shoved another book into his trunk and slipped his shoe on at the same time.

 

“Yeah, wasn’t it by your bed?” Harry replied, not looking at him, but scanning the room for any other possessions. He still didn’t understand how he managed to spread out all of his stuff out so much in such a short space of time. Luckily, he couldn’t see anything, and he hastily shut his trunk with a snap. To the left of him, Ron was doing the same.

 

When Harry and Ron were finally able to lug their cases out of the house, (with the help of magic, of course) Mrs Weasley was waiting very impatiently at the door for them.

 

“Well, you took your time! Anyone would think you wanted to miss the train!” she scolded. Outside, Hermione and Ginny were chatting together in the sleek black car the Ministry had lent them. Harry knew that they were just trying to get back into his good books. Hermione was looking slightly anxious and kept on glancing at her watch every ten seconds while Ginny talked. He felt his stomach leap as he looked at Ginny, she was just so beautiful….then he felt very guilty again about the way he acted at the wedding. Jumping out of his dream, he bundled into the back seat of the vehicle while Mr Weasley levitated their very heavy cases into the boot.

 

“You took your time,” Ginny said, smirking. Suddenly, Harry felt hot and he stared determinedly at his feet.

 

“Well, you know us, we like an element of danger in our lives,” Harry replied absently. Next to him, Ron slumped back in his seat.

 

“If we miss the train, it’ll be your entire fault!” Hermione admonished, looking worried.

 

“Calm down, we haven’t missed it before,” Ron replied, then as he noticed Ginny’s eyebrows rise, he added, “and second year doesn’t count, it was Dobby’s fault, not ours!”

 

Harry glanced out the window to avoid looking at Ginny-then regretted it. It was like looking at a very smudged painting, everywhere was blurry. They must have been going at least as fast as the Knight bus! Even now, the wizarding world never ceased to amaze him. An uncomfortable silence fell upon them when everyone stopped talking. Ron and Hermione kept on missing each others gaze and Harry had no idea what he could say to Ginny. He was afraid that if he spoke to her directly, something along the lines of “I love you” might slip out. The rest of the journey was held in silence, until finally, they were allowed out. As they rushed towards the station, Harry threw a sideways glance at Ginny. Her long red hair was flowing behind her like a river. He jumped when a voice whispered in his ear.

 

“Stop staring at my sister, your trolley is starting to change direction.”

 

Harry snapped his head away from Ginny’s direction and in Ron’s, who was looking a bit disgruntled. It was then that he noticed that his trolley had started to slant, the front centimetres away from Ron’s. Flustered, he straightened it up, but was unable to look his best friend in the eye. Everywhere else was very busy, but people were giving them strange looks, particularly due to the fact they had two owls balanced on top of very large trunks. But frankly, Harry didn’t care; he just didn’t want to miss the train.

 

When they finally reached the station, Harry spared one look at the clock and realised, with a jolt, that the train was leaving in five minutes. There was only enough time for a few hurried hugs from the Weasley parents before they had to leave. Even now, Harry still had to close his eyes just as he reached the brick wall. It just looked so real…

 

“I’m going to meet up with some friends,” Ginny announced, grinning at the three of them before leaving them to join a different compartment. Harry felt his heart sink as she left and wondered whether he would actually see her very often when they got to Hogwarts. Probably not, she’s got other friends, Harry thought miserably, as he watched the beautiful redhead board the train. He had to ignore the agonising impulse to run up to her and tell her how he really felt. But the image of Voldemort leering at him floated into his mind, and he was able to force down his feelings. Then they boarded the train and found an empty compartment.

 

“Oh, hi!” Neville said cheerfully. He noticed them as he passed their compartment and smiled at his friends.

 

“Hello Neville,” Hermione replied warmly. “How was your summer holiday?”

 

“It was good; Gran and I went to France for a few weeks. You wouldn’t believe the difference there, there was some plants growing that I had never even heard of!” Neville said enthusiastically, sitting down next to Hermione.

 

“Oh, we need to go!” Hermione said suddenly, slapping her forehead and standing up.

 

“Why?” Ron asked, looking bewildered.

 

“Head and Prefect duties, Ronald!” Hermione replied, rolling her eyes at his forgetfulness. “You’d forget your own head if it was screwed on!”

 

Ron gave her a strange look. “Muggle saying, don’t worry about it,” Hermione assured him. Then she looked at Harry and Neville. “I’m sorry, but we really have to go!”

 

“Its fine,” Harry replied, smiling at his two best friends. Hermione hugged him quickly, then slipped out of the compartment with Ron. Harry watched them go, and then started to talk to Neville. They had a lot of catching up to do.

 

Over two hours later, Ron and Hermione trudged back into the compartment. The looks on their faces could not be more different. Ron looked extremely bored, and Hermione looked inspired. Hermione then spent the next five minutes describing the meeting and how ‘enlightening’ and ‘fascinating’ it was. Ron added his own little commentary, just quiet enough so Hermione couldn’t hear. He told him it was ‘a waste of time’ and ‘mind-numbing.’ Sometimes, Harry was surprised how different the two of them could be.

 

“I think I fell asleep at one point in that meeting, because the next thing I knew was Hermione jabbing me hard on the arm with her wand. I think she’s left a bruise!” Ron whispered agitatedly. Unfortunately for him, Hermione heard him, and threw him an extremely dirty look.

 

“Who’s Head Boy?” Harry asked, trying to distract the two from yet another argument.

 

“Ernie Mcmillan,” Ron said absently. A moment later, he added, “I’m starving.”

 

Hermione shook her head, “Is there ever a time when you’re not hungry?”

 

“I don’t think so…maybe when I sleep,” Ron said, scratching his nose. “It’s not my fault!”

 

Hermione raised an eyebrow at Ron, then decided that there was no use trying to pursue that topic.

 

“Oh cool, Harry you bought some sweets! Can I have some?” Ron asked, noticing the small mound of sweets in the corner of the compartment.

 

“Of course!” Harry replied, smiling. He had actually bought extra because he knew Ron would be hungry when he came back from the meeting.  For the rest of the journey, the foursome just sat, ate and talked, as if they had not a care in the world.

 

Finally, the train drew to a stop at Hogsmede station just as it was getting dark. As everyone flooded off, Harry could distinctively hear Hagrid’s booming voice calling out for any first years. He then spotted a small group of miniature people, who were looking terrified of the prospect of going anywhere near the giant. Maybe Ron’s right, they are getting smaller…  Harry thought musingly, a small smile forming on his features. The first years were all bunched together tightly, as if they were so much as a metre apart, they would get lost forever.

 

As the four of them left to find a Thestral drawn carriage, Ron decided to announce something to everyone.

 

“I’m still hungry.”

 

Just then, Harry’s stomach growled loudly, as if it was answering Ron. “Me too,” Harry said, snorting with laughter.

 

The journey to the school via the carriage was much the same as every year- but with one difference. The mood was no longer as cheery, but sombre, remembering the former Headmaster. Hogwarts would never be the same without him. After what seemed like a lifetime, they were finally allowed to leave the carriage. Harry refused to look at the thestrals.

 

The castle still looked the same, it was still as magnificent and breathtaking as ever. But he no longer looked at it the same way he did the first time he walked through those doors. He had seen so many things there, memories he would never lose, the good and the bad. The castle seemed to have a different aura to it; it was no longer as safe as it used to be before. That safety had come from Dumbledore, but now it was gone.

 

“Erm, excuse me, but Professor McGonagall wanted to ask if the three of you would go to her office,” a small voice squeaked. Harry looked around-then down and saw a small, pretty, blonde haired girl looking at him. She blushed as Harry smiled at her.

 

“Thanks, he replied kindly. The girl blushed even more crimson and then rushed off. Ron, Hermione and Harry said goodbye to Neville, separated themselves from the rest of the school and headed towards her office.

 

“What do you think she wants? We can’t be in trouble already, we only just got here!” Ron wondered.

 

“It wouldn’t be the first time though,” Harry added, thinking about their second year and the car that now lived in the Forbidden Forest. He had a gut feeling that she was going to ask what he was doing with Dumbledore on that day again. As they stood outside the office, they all felt a sense of foreboding.

 

“Does anyone know the password?” Hermione asked. Harry noticed that she was holding into Ron’s arm quite tightly, most likely for comfort, and smiled. For once, his friends were actually getting along. Maybe this year they might not row as much and I’d actually get a bit of peace...or as much as I can with the Horcruxes to find… The smile slid off his face when he thought of them, of what he had to be done. Dumbledore had begun this mission and Harry would have to end it. Once and for all.

 

“What’s the matter?” Hermione asked, noticing Harry’s grave, yet determined look.

 

“I was just thinking, you know about the-” Harry started in a low voice, only to be interrupted by Professor McGonagall herself rushing over to them.

 

“Thank you for coming. There are a few things I want to discuss with you three before school starts,” the Professor said briskly, muttering a password that made the gargoyle leap to one side and allow entrance to the room. As the staircase brought them up to the office, Harry could sense the tension. Even without Legilimency, he now knew exactly what the new Headmistress wanted to ask, and he knew exactly what he would say in response.

 

This time when he entered the office, he wasn’t surprised at what he saw. Apart from a few of McGonagall’s own touches, the office was the same. Harry felt a lump in his throat as he remembered when Dumbledore use to own the office. Fawkes’ cage was also gone, and Harry wondered what had happened to the Phoenix.

 

“What did you want to tell us, Professor?” Harry asked, trying to sound as polite as possible. He didn’t want to get himself and his friends in trouble on their first day back just for forgetting his manners.

 

“It’s a few things. But first, I’d like a word with Mr Potter in private,” she said, glancing at Ron and Hermione. Harry had anticipated that.

 

“Whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of them,” Harry said firmly. McGonagall looked slightly unnerved, but then decided to talk anyway.

 

“I know this is hard for you, but you’ve had the whole summer to think about it and I wanted to know whether you had reconsidered-”

 

“I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you,” Harry interrupted. “But that is between me and Professor Dumbledore and I’m not going to change my mind.”

 

Professor McGonagall looked Harry in the eye, saw the fierce determination, then sat down, defeated.

 

“Is that all you wanted to talk to us about, Professor?” Hermione asked timidly, not wanting to anger the Professor she respected so much any more. Professor McGonagall looked at Hermione seriously.

 

“No, its not. Albus insisted that the three of you would come,” Professor McGonagall explained. Ron and Hermione looked very puzzled. Instead of trying to explain, she just stood up again and walked over to Dumbledore’s portrait, the same one he had seen at the end of term.

 

“Albus, wake up,” Professor McGonagall said softly to the sleeping portrait. The old wizard opened his blue eyes and smile pleasantly at the three teenagers, two of which, had their mouths wide open with shock.

 

“Ah, Mr Potter, Miss Granger and Mr Weasley, how kind of you to come,” the portrait greeted them cheerfully.

 

“Er, hello Professor,” Harry said nervously. It was very strange seeing and talking to Dumbledore like that, but he somehow looked younger, at peace. He didn’t have that tired look he had always had, and Harry also noticed that he had his hand back.

 

“I wanted to let you know that if any of you need to talk, you can come to me,” Professor Dumbledore said, looking at each of them, but Harry in particular. His eyes no longer held that sparkle that came from being alive, but still held that wisdom and trust.

 

“Thank you Professor,” Harry replied, smiling ever so slightly. Dumbledore will never be gone…not really.

 

“You’d better get going, Minerva’s looking a bit anxious,” Professor Dumbledore said. But Harry didn’t want to go. He didn’t want to face the rest of the school. He wanted to stay. Professor McGonagall gestured for them to leave.

 

“Just before you leave, I have one more thing I want to say before you go to the Great Hall to enjoy a marvellous feast,” Dumbledore said, smiling. Everyone looked at him expectantly. “Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!” he paused for a moment and then said, “now you can go.”

 

Harry, Ro and Hermione all chuckled as they left; even McGonagall had a smile on her face. “I trust that you will go straight to the Great Hall immediately, but I need to go now,” McGonagall said curtly, and then she walked away around the corner.

 

As quickly as they could, the three of them rushed back to the hall, hoping that turning up late wouldn’t cause too much of a disturbance. As they opened the creaky doors, everyone turned and stared at them. That didn’t surprise them, but what did, was seeing McGonagall already at the table.

 

“Maybe she knows another secret passageway,” Hermione whispered, trying to ignore the hundreds of eyes that were watching him.

 

“Nah, I don’t think the map would have missed any of them out,” Harry replied quietly.

 

“I bet she walked around the corner and then transfigured into a cat and ran there!” Ron said, sniggering. Harry snorted as the image of the Headmistress as the cat flickered in his mind. Even Hermione laughed. People probably were thinking they were crazy, laughing for apparently no reason. But they didn’t care. Even though Dumbledore was gone, they still had each other, and after all, that was all that really mattered.

 

Chapter 7 by A_Pink_lady
Author's Notes:
After a good think, I have decided to continue this story. It was my first fan fiction and I don't want to leave it unfinished. I have also got lots of fresh ideas for this story and i will try to make it as different to the real book as possible. Thank you to harry_victoria for beta'ing this chapter for me, you’re the best!
Also, sorry about the utter madness in this chapter, I put it down to late night writing and an extra long school holiday

"Harry!"

 

Ignoring the voice, Harry sped up his pace. He didn’t want to do this, he wanted to turn around and tell Ginny everything, but he knew this was for the best. He had made up his mind the night he returned to Hogwarts, and he knew he would have to stick to his decision. He was going to spend as little time as possible with her, distance himself from her. It was the only way. Not only did he want to keep her safe, but he didn’t want to string her along or make it even harder to control his feelings. Harry knew about the enormous possibility that he would not make it through the war, particularly with all the Horcruxes he needed to destroy. However, he couldn’t ignore the hurt in her voice any longer and he winced.

 

"Harry Potter, stop walking away from me right now! I won’t hesitate to curse you and I don’t care who’s watching!"

 

Harry reluctantly stopped waking and stared at his feet, really not wanting to be cursed by the infamous Ginny Weasley, not only for the sake of his own comfort, but to stop her from causing a huge scene. He’d heard too many stories from her brothers about her wrath. He looked up Ginny approached him. She was furious, her cheeks were flushed and her fiery hair was flying wildly. Before Harry could say anything, Ginny’s hand came into contact with Harry’s cheek. His hand automatically rose to touch his now stinging cheek and he stared at Ginny with astonishment.

 

"That was for ignoring me for the past week," Ginny said coldly. Harry gaped at her, unable to comprehend that for the first time in his life, Ginny Weasley had slapped him.

 

"Ginny I-"

 

"I understand why you broke up with me at all, but you don’t have to treat me like I don’t exist! Even you don’t have the privilege to do that, Potter," Ginny interrupted, glaring at him. In spite of the slap and Ginny’s increasing anger, Harry couldn’t recall a time when she looked so beautiful- snap out of it Potter, do you want to have to go to her funeral too? Harry scolded himself. Blinking, Harry looked determinedly away from Ginny.

 

"I don’t have time to talk right now. I’m going to be late for class," Harry said loudly, his voice void of all emotion, although his heart was screaming at him to stop. Hating himself, he pushed past a stunned Ginny and virtually ran to his next class. This is for the best, Harry convinced himself as he turned the corner and blocked Ginny from sight, but not from his mind. He was very glad that he had told Ron and Hermione to go on ahead while he finished eating, he didn’t think Ron would take too kindly to how Harry was acting towards his sister, regardless of his reasons. He sighed and opened the door his classroom with a bit too much ferocity than strictly necessary.

 

"Nice of you to join us, Harry."

 

Harry turned round from shutting the door and felt his mood improve, but only slightly. For the first time in many years, they had what would be called, a reliable Defence against the Dark Arts teacher. It was also quite ironic that it was the partner of their previous respectable professor, in Harry’s eyes; Remus Lupin. Tonks was standing at the front of the classroom, her bright pink hair the most prominent thing in the room. She grinned nervously at Harry as he shuffled towards his seat, ignoring the sudden whispers in the room. Tonks admitted, after quite a while of questioning from the trio, that her main reason for teaching at Hogwarts was to keep an eye on Harry, (something he wasn’t too pleased about) but also to look after the school as a whole and as a favour to the headmistress who was struggling to find someone to fill the post. Harry hoped he would be able to break the curse on the Defence against the Dark Arts position before the year was up, if not he would have to advise to quit before the curse did anything to her.

 

When Professor McGonagall introduced Tonks, she had received mixed reactions from the school. Most of the Gryffindor, Hufflepuff’s and Ravenclaws had cheered, however the others were not so kind. All of the Slytherins either refused to clap, or booed. The words ‘Bellatrix’ and ‘werewolf’ floated in the air but Tonks seemed unaffected by the mixed reactions. Evidently, many of the Slytherins knew that Tonks was related to the Blacks and heard about her relationship with Remus, which made her a blood traitor. All of this made Harry’s blood boil. It took quite a few of the Gryffindors to stop him standing up and cursing all the Slytherins he could reach. Hermione had confiscated his wand for the course of the meal and only gave it back to him after a lecture that he didn’t listen one word to.

 

Harry loved Hogwarts dearly, but he couldn’t stand their vindictive rumours and gossip. He had been on the receiving ends of the school gossip repeatedly and he hated it. Only once had he ever been talked about for a good reason, and that was when he was with Ginny. There you go, thinking about her again. Can’t you keep her out of your mind for more than ten seconds! A voice sneered at him. Harry raised his hand to touch his cheek. Apparently not.

 

"-now I want you to all divide up into groups and practise your shield charms. I will come round and check that everyone’s completely confident with it because it is a very handy spell, got me out of some tough spots in the past," Tonks instructed with a nod of her head. It felt very strange hearing Tonks talk with such a stern tone. He had grown so used to hearing her joke about and make her nose change into funny shapes. Automatically, he stood up and walked over to Ron and Hermione- but regretted it. Hermione was staring at him inquisitively and Ron was looking amused.

 

"Harry, why do you have a bright red hand print on your cheek?" Hermione demanded, her eyebrows raised.

 

"What this? It’s nothing!" Harry said in a tone he hoped was dismissive as he raised a hand and touched his cheek, involuntarily wincing in the process. Ginny really knew how to give painful slaps.

 

"Don’t lie to me. You’ve got a very bright red hand print imbedded on your cheek!" Hermione said sharply. Harry looked pleadingly at Ron, hoping he would either change the subject or say it wasn’t as bad as Hermione was making it out to be. Unfortunately he had no such luck.

 

"That marks redder than those Muggle fellytone boxes, mate," Ron said, laughing.

 

"Telephone, Ronald, telephone! Honestly, its not that hard to say," Hermione scolded him. Ron rolled his eyes.

 

"Fine, telephone. Happy now?" Ron snapped. Hermione glared at him for a second before returning her attention to Harry. She didn’t need to say anything, but her penetrating stare was enough to make him spill the beans.

 

"Ginny slapped me," Harry muttered, staring at his feet. He didn’t need to look at his best friends face to know what their reactions would be. Ron would be silently gaping and Hermione would be looking surprised.

 

"Well, you know you deserve it, from the way you’ve been treating her!" Hermione said coolly.

 

"You’ve been what? What have you done to my little sister? If you’ve hurt her I swear I’ll-"

 

"I haven’t done anything to her!" Harry replied quickly as Ron started to advance on him, looking furious.

 

"And you call completely ignoring her nothing?" Hermione said sharply.

 

"But-"

 

"There’s no buts about it Harry, it’s hard enough on her that you’re not her boyfriend anymore, but she at least deserves to get a conversation or two out of you! She cares about you and I know you do too!" Hermione said, lowering her voice so that they wouldn’t attract attention.

 

"We can’t talk about this right now," Harry replied angrily. "Because if you haven’t noticed, we’re in the middle of a lesson surrounded by other students!"

 

"I’m not going to let this go Harry, we’ll talk about this later," Hermione hissed.

 

"Hey, you three stop chatting and start working!"

 

The trio jumped and glanced over at Tonks, who was staring directly at them. Hastily, Hermione pulled out her wand.

 

"What’s the point? We’ve known this spell for years," Ron muttered.

 

"Of course there’s a point Ron, there’s always room for improvement and how do you know that everyone else knows the spell?" Hermione asked impatiently. Ron shrugged.

 

"Look guys, lets just practise the damn spells. Once we leave to get the Hor- the things, I think we’ll need all the help we can get," Harry said irritably, also pulling out his wand. The mention of the mission seemed to bring the other two back to their senses.

 

"Fine," Ron huffed, finally digging his hand into the pocket of his robe for his wand. Harry smiled and the practice began.

_________________________________________

 

When the three if them arrived back at the empty common room, both Ron and Hermione immediately demanded to know what happened. Reluctantly, Harry told them the whole story and quickly tried to explain his reasons before Ron killed him. However, even after his explanation, Ron still looked murderous.

 

"Harry, you really can be so stupid sometimes! I can’t believe you! How will ignoring her protect her?" Hermione exclaimed, looking as though she’d very much like to shake him. Ron nodded in agreement.

 

"But I don’t want her to get hurt! She deserves better than me, she deserves someone who’s free and unburdened and won’t endanger her life and-" The words sent daggers into Harry’s heart, but it was what he believed.

 

"But she doesn’t want anyone else, she only wants you," Hermione said quietly, biting her lip. Harry coughed and looked at Hermione disbelievingly.

 

"It’s true."

 

Harry whirled round and froze. Ginny Weasley was standing at the closed portrait door, a fierce and determined looking her face.

 

"Ginny…" Harry started weakly, only to be stopped by Ginny.

 

"I understand why you broke up with me, I really do, but if we’re gonna be in the same school and see each other everyday you should at least be civil! I won’t accept this type of treatment from you, even if you do think its for the best, and even if you’re not going to be at school for very long," Ginny said coolly, pausing to take a breath of air and to look at Hermione briefly. "And I know you Harry, I want to be with you because of who you are, because you’re caring and funny and loyal, do you honestly think I want anyone else when I’ve liked you since I was ten!"

 

Harry was at loss for what to say, it was taking all of his self control not to take Ginny in his arms and kiss her again. But he couldn’t do that. He couldn’t give in, even if his reasons for breaking up with her were rapidly dissolving. He vaguely knew he should have been angry at Hermione, he knew that she was the one to tell Ginny they would be leaving, but at that point, he just couldn’t. He lowered his head and stared at the floor.

 

"Ginny, I don’t know what, I can’t…." Harry’s mind was reeling; all thoughts about Ginny were consuming him.

 

"You don’t have to say anything Harry, just look at me," Ginny said softly. Harry couldn’t lift his head. It was as if some unseen force was acting on the back of his head, preventing it from moving. Suddenly, a small, warm hand touched his chin and gently lifted it. Harry’s eyes locked with Ginny’s beautiful chocolate ones, and Harry could see the pain and the glint of determination within them. Even though she shed no tears, Harry knew that she was hurting. After a moment, the bright brown eyes blinked and looked away.

 

"Thank you," she whispered, squeezing his arm before leaving to her dormitory. His jaw and arm burnt from her touch and his stomach was knotted painfully.

 

"What the bloody hell was that all about?"

 

Harry turned to see Ron looking confused. Hermione was watching Ron with an annoyed expression. She rolled her eyes at Ron before turning back to Harry.

 

"I hope you know what you’re doing," Hermione said quietly before walking away from the boys and after Ginny. Ron was still looking bewildered and a minute later, he too walked away from Harry to collapse on the sofa. Harry was still frozen on the spot.

 

He knew what he was doing…right?

_____________________________________________________ 

 

Harry barely slept that night.

 

Thoughts of Ginny constantly attacked him and every time he did manage to drift off, he

kept having the most bizarre dreams.

 

"Need to sleep, got school tomorrow," Harry muttered to himself, fluffing up his pillow and then lying back down on it. I’ve already tried counting Hippogriffs but all that did was remind me of my third year and Buckbeak… Harry thought to himself. He squeezed his eyes shut and tried to clear his mind, but like back when he was learning Occlumency, but like then, it proved impossible. I know, I’ll try and repeat some stuff from History of Magic, Harry thought, quite pleased that he came up with an idea. Sure enough, he was one line into the goblins conspiracy in his head, and he was already feeling drowsy. It wasn’t long before all conscious thoughts slipped away and he finally fell asleep.

 

…Ginny was writing a horrible rap song about how she didn’t love him anymore and performed it in front of the whole school…Voldemort was dressed in a pink tutu, baking cookies for his Death Eaters while singing, out of tune, ‘a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.’ Then he realised that the cookies were actually Horcruxes, but by then it was too late, the Death Eaters had already eaten them and he would never get them… Lucius Malfoy was laughing at him screaming ‘MY COOKIE HAD CHOCOLATE IN THEM!’ while Bellatrix’s was winding an arm around Voldemort’s waist and was about to kiss him…

 

Harry woke up in a cold sweat, screaming for all he was worth. Ron’s snores abruptly turned into a snort as he jumped awake and instantly leapt over to his best mates bed.

 

"Are you okay? Did you see inside his head again?" Ron whispered anxiously. His heart was beating wildly and he turned to a very sleepy Ron, suddenly feeling very annoyed.

 

"Unless Voldemort has started to wear a pink tutu and is having a secret affair with Bellatrix Lestrange," Harry snapped, making a face, "No."

 

Ron gave Harry a very odd look.

 

"You’ve lost it, mate," Ron croaked, shaking his head.

 

"Thanks for pointing that out," Harry replied coolly, turning away from Ron and pulling the quilt over his head. After Ron returned to bed, Harry regretted snapping, but couldn’t be bothered to apologise. That dream was a much bigger problem. What had possessed him to have such a bizarre dream? For some reason, that dream had disturbed him more than anything in his entire life had.

 

"Whazzermatter Harry?"

 

Harry heard the very muffled tone of one of his only other remaining dorm mate, Neville. Both Dean and Seamus hadn’t returned to school. He suddenly felt very embarrassed to have woken him.

 

"Nothings wrong, just a nightmare," Harry replied. This seemed to satisfy him because it wasn’t long before the room was filled with slow breathing and Ron’s snores. For once, he was grateful for his friends’ loud snores, they would either keep him awake or wake him up if he did drift off. He didn’t want to fall into another disturbing dream. He also vowed never to so much as sit in the same room as any of the sweets Fred and George gave him for his birthday, ever again. But he knew one thing; he definitely wasn’t even going to attempt to sleep. Instead, Harry got up and pulled out the locket form his trunk, as though it would help. It was the closet he had managed to get to any of the Horcruxes, and even Hermione’s brilliant mind hadn’t been able to solve the riddle. (no pun intended) If only Dumbledore was here, Harry thought miserably. He’d know what to do.

 

_____________________________________________________________ 

 

When the morning finally made an appearance, Harry came to a decision. He would apologise to Ginny, but would still keep her at arms length. Any closer and Harry knew he wouldn’t be able to control his body. Though he wouldn’t be able to look her in the eye after the previous night’s dream. Ron also kept giving Harry some very odd looks, which caused Hermione to demand what was going on.

 

"Harry had a bit of a……. nightmare last night," Ron said, not looking at Harry.

Hermione instantly drew herself closer to Harry.

 

"What did you see? Were you in Voldemort’s head again? You know you need to close that connection, it’s dangerous! Who knows what he could do to you if he starts using that connection again, he might do what he did before with Sirius!" Hermione whispered sharply.

 

"You don’t need to remind me, and it wasn’t anything like that," Harry said irritably.

 

"Then what?"

 

"Oh nothing much," Ron said causally. "He just dreamt of You-Know-Who in a tutu…"

Hermione chocked on her pumpkin juice. Her wide eyes watering, she started at Harry incredulously.

 

"W-what?"

 

"You wouldn’t think that Harry would be able to make Luna Lovegood look sane, would you," Ron said dryly. Hermione gave him a sharp look at he fell silent.

 

Harry sighed and explained the whole dream (excluding the part about Ginny) in hushed tones. He didn’t think that anyone else would be very pleased to hear that their ‘chosen one’ and fellow student was have such disturbing dreams. Out of no-where, Ron snorted with laughter. Hermione glared at him.

 

"Is this really the time to be laughing Ronald? This is serious!" Hermione hissed. Ron shrugged.

 

"What else is there to do," Ron replied. "Plus, think of the bright side, we’ll never take old Voldemort seriously anymore now that image is in our heads. How can we be truly scared of a man in a pink tutu? Also, from what you’ve told us, he has this really high pitched voice. Do you think its because he never hit puberty or he got kicked really hard in the-"

 

"Ronald don’t you dare finish that sentence!" Hermione scolded him. Ron grinned.

 

"You gotta admit Hermione, the puberty thing could explain a lot, I mean, do you think the guy ever had any hormones?"

 

After a moment, Harry couldn’t help but smile. Ron was right, how could he be, in any way, terrified of Voldemort now? Hermione rolled her eyes but didn’t say anything.

 

"I can see it now," Ron started, grabbing a piece of toast and tearing a piece out of it with his teeth. "Voldemort-the action figure. Comes with two outfits, the classic evil dark lord style robes, or a pink tutu!"

 

Harry chuckled.

 

"Who’s wearing a pink tutu?"

 

Harry stopped laughing at the sound of the familiar voice.

 

"Oh its nothing Ginny," Ron said, trying to sound casual.

 

"Oh come on, tell me what’s going on," Ginny said, abruptly sitting down in the space next to Harry. Harry’s breath caught in his throat as he realised how close they were sitting. She was acting completely different to yesterday, Hermione must have been right, there was some other meaning behind what happened yesterday.

 

"Oh…it’s just, Harry had a nightmare last night-"

 

"Was it like the dream you had when Riddle’s snake attacked Dad? Did anyone get hurt?"

By now, Harry was getting very annoyed with everyone’s presumptions. Why, whenever he said he had a nightmare, did they automatically assume it was because he was seeing in to Voldemort’s head!

 

"No I bloody well didn’t. It was just a dream. Why do you always think I’m picking up Voldemort? I’m not a bloody radio!" Harry snapped.

 

"Well, sorry," Ginny replied, exaggerating the second word and rolling her eyes, quite unaffected by his outburst. Suddenly, she grabbed a piece of toast off Harry’s plate and bit into it. As Harry turned to the red head sitting next to him, he wanted to be angry. He wanted to glare at her, he wanted to get annoyed over her lack of sympathy, but he just couldn’t. Teasing and taking no nonsense from him was just the way Ginny was. She wasn’t the type to let him wallow in self pity, or even let him stay in a bad mood for long.

 

He sighed.

 

"Look, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped, its just, I barely slept last night, that image of Voldemort in a tutu kept haunting me-"

 

Harry stopped when he noticed the small red head sitting next to him cough and start to choke on her toast.

 

"He-he, what?"

 

"Yea, Harry dreamt of Voldemort in a pink tutu last night," Ron said cheerfully. Ginny’s eyes darted from her brother to Harry; then she cracked up with laughter.

 

"That-is-the-craziest-thing-I’ve-ever-heard-" Ginny gasped. A few students glanced over to see what was going on, but hastily turned away when Ron and Harry glared at them.

 

"Tell me all about it!" Ginny ordered after the giggles had subsided. Once again, Harry explained the contents of his dream to an amused Ginny.

 

"He’s gone off his rocker hasn’t he?" Ron commented after he gulped down half his goblet of Pumpkin juice.

 

"I think you’ve fallen off you’re broomstick one too many times," Ginny added. Hermione seemed reasonably quiet during the whole affair, she looked deep in thought. Harry suspected that she was trying to work out what the dreams would mean. Harry wasn’t sure if he wanted to know what they meant. They were all distracted when the morning post arrived and Hermione gasped loudly as she unravelled hers and caught sight of the front page.

 

"What, what’s happened? Is what happened in Harry’s dream true?" Ron said jokingly. Hermione reappeared from behind her newspaper, all the colour gone from her cheeks. Ron peered over her shoulder and he too looked shocked. Silently, Hermione passed the paper over to Harry. The headline was blaring.

 

DEATH EATERS LAUCHED ATTACK ON MUGGLE TOWN. NONE LEFT ALIVE.

 

Harry felt sick. While he was sitting in the comfort of Hogwarts, Voldemort was building up his armies and slaughtering innocent people. Sometimes he could almost forget that there was a war going on when he was with his friends. But this just reminded him that the war was still going on, getting more terrible by the day. And only he could stop it. He swore and started to read the articles. That was the least he could do for the poor Muggles. But then his eyes fell on the name of the town.

 

Little Whinging

 

"Oh no…" Harry muttered, swearing. His hands started to shake. Voldemort had attacked the town he had grown up in, the town he had lived in all his life. Harry knew that Voldemort meant for Harry to see this, it was a personal attack at him. They hadn’t just attacked any random town, but the one he had been brought up in. It was his entire fault that they were all dead. Like Cedric, they were just there, they just knew him.

 

"What are we going to do?" Hermione whispered. Harry swallowed before answering.

 

"First, I’m gonna talk to Tonks, then I’m going to the talk to Dumbledore," Harry said quietly.

 

"What about classes?" Hermione asked.

 

"Stuff the classes, this is more important. Tell the teachers I needed to talk to Tonks about my family," Harry said, finding it hard to control his emotions. As he looked at Hermione, he could see her lips move, but no sound came out. A split second later, his scar erupted in agony and everything started to lurch and spin.

 

"You have failed me again, Draco," Harry hissed in a high pitched voice. He was angry, furious.

 

"I’m sorry, my Lord…please…" Draco whimpered, falling to his knees and pleading, his white blond hair was greasy, filthy and in a mess of knots. His face was covered in bruises and cuts, and his icy grey eyes were filled with fear and despair. He was also very thin, as if he hadn’t eaten for a very long time.

 

"You tried to escape from me. No-one escapes from Lord Voldemort," Harry said angrily, his white fingers curled around his wand.

 

"No…please have mercy! I…I can still help! Now that Dumbledore’s dead-"

 

"Only because Severus was able to complete the task you were too weak to fulfil," Harry interjected softly.

 

"-He’s weaker now…and…" Draco’s voice was rapidly becoming hysterical.

 

"You may still be of some use," Harry said quietly. "But Lord Voldemort doesn’t abide cowards. You need to be taught a lesson. Crucio!"

 

Draco’s eyes widened with fear and before he was able to move or speak, he was throw to the floor, writhing in agony. As Draco cried out and convulsed on the dirty, stone floor, Harry laughed.

 

"HARRY!"

 

Suddenly, his eyes were his own again and three people were watching him fearfully.

 

"What happened?" Harry asked groggily, fighting the urge to vomit. His scar was still burning and the sound of Voldemort’s laughter as still ringing through his ears.

 

"Your eyes just rolled back in your head, we thought you were unconscious," Ginny said, her chocolate brown eyes filled with concern. Now that his senses had returned he could feel Ginny holding his hand, but he didn’t pay much attention. His head was still spinning.

 

"Malfoy," Harry muttered. After seeing the confused looks on his friends’ faces, he added, "We need to go back to the common room. I just saw something I don’t think you’re going to like."

Chapter 8 by A_Pink_lady

"So much for your ‘I’m not a radio’ statement," Ron said sourly after Harry told the three of them what he just saw. Hermione bit her lip.

"What do you think Voldemort will do with him?" Hermione asked. Harry just shrugged.

"I don’t know, I think he’ll keep him alive, Voldemort said he was still useful, but..."

"He’s still a pureblood isn’t he?" Ginny spat bitterly, "he’ll probably need him to keep that status around, there aren’t many purebloods left these days."

"I still find it weird that Riddle isn’t even pureblood, yet he wants to kill all those who aren’t," Ron commented.

"He’s such a bloody hypocrite, that’s what he is" Hermione said. The other three turned to Hermione in utter shock, never having heard Hermione curse before.

“I think Ron’s rubbed off on you a bit too much Hermione,” Ginny said. Hermione blushed faintly, but was still looking angry.

“Well...I’m just angry...” Hermione muttered. Ron was looking at Hermione with wonderment, a faint smile on his lips.

Harry shook his head as if to clear the thoughts of Hermione cursing for the first time in his memory, and his mind wondered back to Draco Malfoy. Harry couldn’t help but feel pity towards the blond Slytherin. Draco had stumbled into Voldemort’s group not understanding the full implications of his actions, not realising that there would be no going back, that it wasn’t child's play any longer. He was just a common school bully, not a murderer. He was only seventeen, barely legal, still a kid really. Harry knew what the torture curse felt like and he wouldn’t wish that on anyone, not even Draco Malfoy.

"This is really not my day," Harry muttered. First his dream, then the attack, and now this. Voldemort was still very much at large, as much as he would have liked to deny it for a while. His scar was still stinging. He set his jaw and closed his eyes. A searing pain in his head confirmed that he was starting to get a headache, and he cursed under his breath. For a moment, he tried to block everything out and focus, but he opened his eyes a minute later, defeated. He turned to his friends.

"You should all go to class, there’s no point in you missing out on important lessons, you never know what you could learn," Harry said, pointedly looking at Hermione and Ron. They seemed to understand what he meant, but still looked hesitant.

"Are you sure you’re okay?" Hermione asked quietly.

"I’m not saying that, but that's besides the point. I’ll talk to Tonks and meet up with you later. I’ll be fine, honest."

After a minute of hesitation, the three of them started to leave, but not before Hermione hugged him and kissed him on the cheek and Ginny squeezed his hand muttering that everything would be okay and they would be back as soon as possible. Once they were gone, Harry immediately bolted to the bathroom and threw up. Five minutes later, he collapsed onto his bed.

If they die, its all my fault, Harry thought angrily. After several minutes of staring aimlessly at the ceiling, he swung his feet off his bed, carelessly grabbed his jacket and left. He walked to Tonk’s office in a daze, his feet carrying him to the familiar room. With a numb hand, he knocked on the door twice, paused until he heard Tonk’s voice, then entered. As he walked in, he saw Tonks embracing a man he recognised as Remus Lupin.

"Harry...the Order told me about your relatives," Remus said solemnly as he spotted him and released himself from Tonks’ arms. Harry suddenly became very interested with his fingernails, unable to look up at Remus for fear of what he would see. It felt so surreal. After a minute of total silence, Harry willed himself to speak. His voice was barely above a whisper and cracked terribly.

"Are they...dead?"

He risked looking up at Tonks and Remus and saw that they were both looking forlorn.

"I’m sorry, your aunt and uncle didn’t make it, but luckily, your cousin was at his boarding school at the time and so is safe for now. Kingsley has gone to collect him," Tonks said quickly. The pain in Harry’s chest lifted slightly.

"I need to go and get him," Harry said suddenly, surprising himself with his own answer.

"No, you need to stay here-"

"No, Remus, he’s my cousin and I want to see him. I’m seventeen now, I can make my own decisions," Harry said coolly, just barely keeping his temper under control. Remus and Tonks exchanged glances and then Tonks sighed.

"Fine, let me contact Kingsley," Tonks said, pulling out her wand, conjuring her Patronus, and sending it off.

"I’ll go and talk to Minerva," Remus said, pressing a kiss on Tonks’ cheek before rushing out of the room. Harry collapsed into a chair, suddenly feeling completely drained as he thought about his now deceased relatives. Even though they never treated him well, they were still his family and he had grown up with them. He couldn’t even imagine what sort of things the Death Eaters had done to them before they ended it. Was it like what happened at the World Cup, or even worse? He thought of Dudley, who was now an orphan like himself. A single tear slipped down his cheek and he hastily wiped it away. Just then, Tonks tapped him on the shoulder and he instantly stood up.

"We’re flooing to Kingsley's house, then Apparating to the Muggle school, Smellings or something," Tonks informed Harry.

"Smeltings," Harry automatically corrected her.

"That's it. We’re using Minerva’s fire, it's hooked up to Kingsley's fire right now.”

Harry nodded.

Within ten minutes, they had flooed to Kingsley's house, then he Apparated (Ron and Harry had taken their test during the last part of the holidays and passed,) to the large building known as Smeltings Secondary School. They passed through the front of the school without paying much attention to the scenery. As luck would have it, a loud bell sounded almost as soon as they walked into the main building. It was followed by a stampede of children wearing the same uniforms Harry vaguely remembered Dudley wearing once. He didn’t fail to notice that everyone seemed to be watching them as they fought their way through the crowds of school children. He swore under his breath as he was almost knocked off his feet as people punched and shoved. When something hit him hard on the back of his leg and then on his head, he remembered Dudley's old Smelting stick, and winced. Finally, the two of them reached the office, the corridor there was deserted.

"Thank Merlin we got out of that hellhole. I thought Hogwarts was bad, at least they have wider corridors and extra secret passageways," Harry muttered to Tonks, who was looking relatively flustered. He also noticed that she was sporting shoulder length, brown hair. She let out a short bark of laughter and then rapped on the door.

"Come in!"

Tonks gestured for Harry to enter first. Swallowing, Harry opened the door. Before he had even managed to get in the room properly, there was a loud crash.

"You!"

Before Harry knew what was happening, he felt a blinding pain on the left side of his face and then again in the stomach. The doorknob was sticking painfully into his back as he was forced backwards. Angry blue eyes burnt into Harry’s green ones and he forced himself not to flinch. They were so close that their noses were touching.

"You did it! You killed them!" Dudley snarled, a crazed look in his hate-etched features. Harry was immobile, trapped between Dudley and the door which Tonks was rapping and jiggling, each movement sending sharp pains up his back.

"No, I didn’t," Harry replied, trying to keep as calm as possible even though inside, he felt anything but. He could hear voices shouting from all around him Then, using all of his strength, Harry pushed Dudley off and swiftly moved away from the door. When a furious Dudley went to charge at Harry again, they were all ready. Kingsley seized Dudley’s arms and with the aid of Harry, forced him into a chair.

"Get off me!" Dudley shouted furiously, trying desperately to get up, with no avail.

"Dudley, stop and let me explain!"

"Why should I? You killed my parents!" Dudley was getting more and more furious, his face had turned an alarming shade of red.

"I never touched them!" Harry shouted back.

"It was your kind that got them killed! They never wanted anything to do with you! Dad was right, you should have been chucked in an orphanage years ago!" Dudley yelled bitterly, his eyes filled with pure hatred. There was a great amount of outrage coming from Kingsley and Tonks, but Harry blocked them out.

"Whether Aunt Petunia liked it or not, her sister was a witch, she couldn’t change that. Hundreds of people are dying and have died because of the same monster that killed Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. You’re not the only person suffering, he killed my parents as well!"

"But they’re my parents! They weren’t meant to die. It's all your fault!"

"You can try and pin the blame on me, but I’m not the guilty one here. Voldemort is! It’s useless blaming me! Maybe you would like to know, that I’m trying to stop that monster!" Harry said, his voice sounding a lot stronger than he felt. Dudley had touched a nerve, but he couldn’t lose his temper.

"But that doesn’t make any difference! That won’t bring them back!" Dudley howled, sounding more upset now than angry.

"Will blaming me change anything either?" Harry asked. Dudley seemed to have lost his voice and was staring at the floor.

"Look, I’m not going to lie to you. You’re in danger. If the Death- people, find out you didn’t die, then they’ll come looking for you, they probably already are. You need to come with me-"

"No! I’m not going anywhere with you!" Dudley snarled, glaring at Harry.

"You don’t have much of a choice in that matter, because you are coming whether you like it or not, because I don’t want anything to happen to you, because no matter what, we’re family, and that’s what proper families do!" Harry exclaimed. Silence ensued that statement. Dudley was obviously trying to absorb all of the information. Harry walked over to Tonks once he was sure that Dudley wouldn’t be replying anytime soon.

"Are you alright?" Tonks asked. Harry nodded.

"I don’t know what to say to him, I can’t just leave him here, they will come after him," Harry said, glancing at his cousin. He immediately rushed over to Dudley as he started to make a sound.

"I’m not going anywhere, I’m staying here...not going with you," Dudley muttered darkly, glaring at Harry. Harry sighed.

"Remember those Dementors?" Harry asked. Dudley nodded, an unpleasant look on his face. "Well that’s nothing compared to what’s happening now. It’s a full scale war."

"Not my problem, it's your lot’s war,"

"Oh, yes, it is your problem. It isn’t just affecting wizards. All of those disappearances and strange deaths are proof that it’s affecting the Muggle world as well. Voldemort doesn’t spare Muggles, in fact, he loves killing them. He doesn’t care if you think it’s not your war. You can’t escape this war Dudley, it’s too big. If Voldemort wins, then neither wizard nor Muggle will have a bloody chance," Harry said, gritting his teeth.

Dudley remained silent, a stony look on his face.

"So these people will come after me?"

This time his voice was laced with fear, which he was obviously trying very hard to hide, but failing miserably. Harry nodded gravely.

"If they realise that you’re not dead, they’ll probably try to find you, which I don’t think will be very hard," Harry said, feeling a bit relieved that Dudley’s original blinding rage seemed to have been burnt out and he was considering his own safety. Finally, Dudley dropped his gaze to the floor.

"Okay."

Behind him, he heard Tonks murmur.

"Thank Merlin, he’s seen the light."

Smiling slightly, Harry looked at Dudley

"Don’t worry Dudley, I promise I won’t let anything happen to you," Harry assured him. Dudley was still looking stony.

"Molly agreed to look after Dudley while you’re at school," Kingsley told him, also looking relieved.

"What? He’s staying at the Burrow? Can't he stay at Hogwarts? I’m sure there’s some space," Harry asked, suddenly realising after he said it, he sounded quite ungrateful. "It's not that I’m ungrateful, but-"

"I know but it’s against the rules. Muggles aren’t allowed to stay at Hogwarts, Muggles can't even see Hogwarts," Kingsley said gravely, shaking his head.

"Can’t you just try and bend the rules a bit-"

"I’m sorry Harry, but I can’t, not on this," Kingsley cut in, shaking his head once again.

"Who’s Molly? Where am I going? Where are you going? What’s going on?" Dudley demanded. Harry ran his fingers through his hair and then turned to his cousin.

"You’re going to have to stay with some of my friends, the Weasley’s. They’ll look after you," Harry explained. Dudley looked sceptical.

"I trust them with my life, you will be fine with them. I am quite certain that you will like it there. Mrs Weasley makes the most delicious food. Just stay out of the twins room," Harry said, trying to crack some sort of joke that only earned half a smile from Tonks and a very confused look from Dudley.

"Why, what’s in there?" Dudley asked, starting to look scared.

"Well, I don’t know exactly what in the twins' room, they have their old products from their joke shop. They run their own joke shop; I’m not sure they’re very safe. I don’t think any of us want a repeat of your enlarged tongue incident," Harry said, realising instantly that it was a completely wrong thing to say.

"So you’re going to go off and leave me in that house with those people?" Dudley spat.

"Don’t even think of insulting the Weasley’s in front of me, they’re as good as family to me," Harry said quietly. Dudley glared once again at Harry.

"Fine. Where are we going?" Dudley huffed. Harry rolled his eyes and turned to the others in the room.

"We’re walking to where I have a few Aurors stations and then they’ll take you to the Burrow," Tonks said, eyeing Dudley with a look of distaste.

"Aurors?" Dudley repeated, blinking with confusion.

"Wizard policemen," Harry said absently. Dudley then reluctantly stood up and stalked out of the headmaster’s office with Harry following. As they left, a loud bell sounded from the walls and Harry’s looked around, startled. Then he swore as people started flooding out of the classrooms.

"This is ridiculous..." Tonks murmured from behind him, trying to keep an eye on Dudley, who was shoving everyone out of his way as he charged ahead, a superior air about him as he walked past his peers. People started to rudely push past Harry and after almost getting smacked in the face once again, he snapped.

"Okay, everybody just move!" Harry shouted. Almost everyone around him froze and stared at him. He glared back at them and cleared his throat. Almost as if they were scared of what he would do next, some people made way for them to walk past. Whispers erupted everywhere.

"Look at that guy..."

"Who is he?"

"Why’s he here?"

"What’s that on his head? A scar?"

Harry sighed in frustration, realising that even in the Muggle world, his scar wouldn’t be left unnoticed. He tried to flatten his fringe and then glared at everyone who looked at him. They briskly left the building and made their way to the gates. Dudley didn’t speak or look at anyone, but kicked at stones as he trudged along.

"He’s not the friendliest person in the world, is he?" Tonks commented.

"Dudley and I have never really seen eye to eye, he’s grown up seeing me as a freak and well, I didn’t realise I could hate anyone more than him before I met Draco Malfoy," Harry replied. Tonks didn’t say anything, not that Harry expected her to. When they reached the gates, Kingsley took a sharp left and they all followed him. After a few minutes of walking, the hairs on the back of Harry’s neck suddenly stood on end.

"Something doesn’t feel right," Harry muttered his hand subconsciously his wand. He looked around and suddenly, he knew what was going to happen before it did.

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=56340