Only Those Who Believe by smiley10792
Summary: Born into a time of turmoil and hardship, Rowena Ravenclaw always knew she was different. There was something that would haunt her mind deep in the night- an unseen and unknown power.

Now she has met three other young people who have this power. Together, they can bring the magic back. Together, they can do great things. But the magic is for only those who believe.

I am smiley10792 and I am in Hufflepuff house.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 4849 Read: 5612 Published: 01/21/07 Updated: 02/07/07

1. Ch. 1- Someone Else Understands by smiley10792

2. Ch. 2- Revealing Desires by smiley10792

3. Ch. 3- Helga Is Not God by smiley10792

Ch. 1- Someone Else Understands by smiley10792
Author's Notes:
This story has been great fun for me to write. It's different than what I usually do, but I had a lot of fun deciding how each of the four founders would behave, and how early magic spells worked. Please let me know what you think, and remember: everything you don't recognize belongs to the super cool JK Rowling!



I have magic.

It is real. I have proof. I’ve known all along that there was something different about me. There was something that no one else would understand, even if I had dared to tell them. There was something that would haunt me deep in the night- a power, hidden in the dark recesses of my mind. It was a power long forgotten, and accessible to only those who believe and understand.

Someone else understands. Two someones, in fact.

Let me go back to the beginning:

They arrived at my home this morning, with a few other members of the royal family, who were hoping to speak to my father about the lands under his control.

We met the king and queen on the grounds in front of my home. Two boys rode in the escort behind the monarchs. One wore the tunic of the royal family, his dark hair swept messily away from high, arched brows and haughty gray eyes. The other was dressed more simply, and his pale brown hair spilled from under his hat in a jumble of curls. His broad, open face and bright blue eyes gave him a friendly appearance.

While my parents made the appropriate bowings and scrapings toward the king and queen, the two boys on horses scrutinized me closely. The first boy dismounted gracefully from his horse, and bowed low, the picture of a perfect gentleman.

“Prince Salazar, at your service,” he said, grinning slightly and emphasizing the word “prince”. I curtsied as neatly as possible, and introduced myself to the heir to the throne, while the other boy jumped down from his horse.

“Rowena Ravenclaw,” I said, giving Salazar a half smile.

“Godric Gryffindor, also at your service,” said the other boy, bowing just as deeply. I gave him a curtsy as well, my dark red gown just brushing the dirt of the road.

“I’m going to be the Prince’s squire someday,” Godric informed me. “I’m not actually part of the royal family. Which means you didn’t really have to curtsy.”

“Rowena, dear,” my mother interrupted, “do show these two young gentlemen around for me, won’t you? We’re going into the house, but I thought such charming young men might like to see the stables…”

She was immediately distracted by a question from the queen, leaving me no space to respond, but it didn’t really matter. I nodded to Godric and Salazar and turned on my heel, my gown swishing, to lead them across the lawn to the stables.

The day was bright and clear, a soft breeze playing gently in the trees and tossing my dark hair around my shoulders. When we reached the stables, I led the way inside, the sickly sweet smell of hay hitting my nose full force. A few horses whinnied softly at the intrusion of two boys they didn’t know. Salazar stood in the middle of the stalls, staring carefully at them, but Godric went right up to the nearest mare, a tawny chestnut one, and stroked her neck, blowing gently on her nose so she would learn his scent. Then, he turned to me, grinning.

“I like her,” he said. “What’s her name?”

“Adelaide,” I replied. “She seems to like you as well.”

Salazar stepped over to Godric, reaching out his slim fingers to touch her mane. He gave another half grin when Adelaide nudged him to get him to come closer, and he leaned towards her, burying his hand in her hair. I walked over to them, reaching into the pocket of my dress for a few crumbly oats, and held my hand out for Adelaide to help herself. I laughed when her whiskers tickled, and that got the boys chuckling slightly as well.

“I sometimes think Adelaide could talk to me, if only I could understand her,” I said, more to myself then to the boys. Salazar shot Godric a quick look, almost too fleeting for me to catch it, and Godric opened his mouth as if he was about to say something. However, he closed it again quickly, and I could have sworn I saw Salazar step on his foot. Deciding not to comment, I stroked Adelaide a little bit more. She whinnied softly, and sniffed my hand, clearly hoping for more oats.

“Do you two want to see something neat?” I asked, suddenly inspired. Godric nodded eagerly and Salazar shrugged. I led them to the dark place in the back of the stable, where all the tack was kept for the horses. Grabbing a rusty pail, I showed them where several nooks had been carved into the wall.

“Look,” I said, pointing up into the gloom. “There’s an old hayloft up there. This is where it’s good to climb up.” I stepped onto the pail and clambered up the wall like a monkey, ignoring the fact that a loose nail had scratched my dress.

“Whoa,” Godric said, and scrambled up after me. Salazar followed without speaking.

The hayloft had been my secret place since I was old enough to climb up. I was pretty sure some of the hostlers knew it was there, but they either didn’t bother climbing up, or weren’t clever enough to find a way. Godric peered around into the gloom when he reached the top, and I lit a small candle that I’d left in the corner, illuminating the rough wood floor covered in a small amount of hay, and my pile of old books I’d stashed in a corner.

“What are those?” Salazar asked, indicating the old tomes with a shrewd look on his face.

“Books,” I answered stiffly, watching him. He seemed dissatisfied with my answer, and opened his mouth to speak again, but Godric cut in. Unseen by either of us, he had grabbed the top books and was reading the titles.

The Powers of the Gods, The Tale of Pyramus and Thisbe, The”

“Stop!” I shouted, grabbing them out of his hands. “What I read is none of your business!”

“Those books have been named evil, Rowena. You could be burned as a heretic for that,” Salazar said evenly.

My face whitened and I felt suddenly breathless. I had hoped my new friends would not know the origins of the stories I loved so much, but Salazar was clever. His eyes met my blue ones and I could see his power in every inch of their dark gray depths. I stared at him refusing to let him see my fear.

“I know,” I said quietly, refusing to tear my eyes away from his. “But they were wrongly indicted.” Salazar tore his gaze away from mine as Godric spoke again. I started slightly; I had nearly forgotten he was in the loft.

“Why?” he said cautiously, a calculating expression on his friendly features.

“Because they are beautiful stories,” I said, my voice stronger. “Stories that tell of a time when everyone had power. When women could perform miracles. When true love survived.”

“You believe there is such a thing as miracles? There is such a thing as love?” Godric asked, his voice sounding strangely hopeful.

“Yes,” I said. If they were going to call me a heretic, I might as well go for the full disclosure. Godric looked at Salazar for a moment and an unspoken understanding seemed to pass between them.

“Rowena,” Salazar said, turning away from Godric to face me, “do you believe in magic?”

His eyes met mine again, and Godric was watching me too. Magic? Did I believe in magic?

“Yes,” I said. The boys sat down on the floor, and slightly nonplussed, I copied them.

“We have some things to tell you,” Godric whispered.

So that’s what brought me to where I am now, sitting in my bedroom, writing this down. I figure that someday, someone might want to learn about this magic that I have. I understand it now. Magic is real. But you have to believe in it for it to happen. You have to be in the right mindset. You have to know that it’s possible.

There was once a time when many people did magic. There was a time when magic was accepted and explored to the fullest. People used to research new spells, and teach them to others. I would love to do that. The crazy thing is, I might get a chance to.

Godric and Salazar have a book that tells you how to do magic spells. They found it in the catacombs of the royal castle. With magic, I’m sure I can do anything, but the idea is so great and terrible, I’m almost afraid to start. But we have to try. We’re the ones who can bring the magic back. It’s a scary thought- the thought that all the magic in the world is in the hands of three thirteen year olds.

But that’s the other thing. There might be a fourth person. Someone else might join us. Next week, we go to see her. Her name is Helga Hufflepuff, and in two weeks, she’s going to be burned at the stake, accused of heresy… and witchcraft.
Ch. 2- Revealing Desires by smiley10792
Author's Notes:
Enjoy, and remember to give me your opinion!

All you recognize belongs to the wonderful JKR.



“LET ME OUT! NOOOOO, STOP IT, PLEASE!”

The screams that echoed out of the back of the jailhouse were shrill and desperate. Every so often I heard the crack of whip and an anguished sob, a stumble and a clang, as if something was hitting against metal bars.

Godric, who was walking next to me, cringed every time he heard something, and twitched as if he wanted to run towards whatever was happening. I put my hand on his shoulder, gently restraining him, and Salazar gave me a wry grin, which I returned.

“Relax, mate,” he said to Godric, fingering the badge pinned to the front of his tunic, identifying him as a member of the royal family. “You can’t rescue the damsel in distress until they let us in to see her, and you’re not the one who’s particularly important in achieving that goal. I promise, though, you can be the first one to kiss her poor despondent face and”“

“All right,” Godric said, exasperated. I giggled and he frowned at me. We reached the door and Salazar walked through, his rather quiet and contemplative demeanor changing immediately into one that radiated self-confidence and power. I was surprised that the jail keeper didn’t immediately fall bowing at his feet in the face of such apparent majesty. Godric and I followed him, keeping our faces impassive.

“We wish to see Helga Hufflepuff,” Salazar said commandingly. The jail keeper quailed under his bold gaze, eyeing Salazar’s royal badge momentarily.

“Fine,” he said, turning to look down the hallway. “Peter! Leave the girl alone. She has visitors,” he called, and a sweaty, nasty looking man walked up to the desk next to the jail keeper.

“You sure you want the lady to see her?” the man called Peter said, staring at me skeptically. “The girl’s a real mess.”

“I am perfectly equipped to deal with any such “messes” I may see. You will let me pass, as the daughter of Governor Ravenclaw,” I told him, slightly insulted. Godric placed a hand on my arm, as if to reassure me that I shouldn’t be.

The jail keeper gave a short bow, and Salazar brushed past him without responding, simply taking the key to Helga’s cell. Godric and I followed, but I couldn’t help giving Peter a stony glare as I passed. We walked through the jail, hearing the soft moans of the other prisoners, who mostly looked like smelly, dirty heaps on the floor.

That is, until we got to Helga’s cell. She wasn’t smelly, or in heap, but she was dirty. I could tell that she was beautiful though, underneath the grime. Her reddish blonde hair was thick and wavy, hanging almost to her waist. Her face was round and streaked with tears, which mixed with the blood from numerous scratches on her cheeks. Her nose was running, and she was still crying, her green eyes wide and hopeless.

Salazar opened the door to her cell, and stepped inside, staring down at her curiously. She looked up at him, clearly wondering what kind of fresh torture was in store for her. I stepped inside behind Salazar, and Godric rushed past me, kneeling on the floor beside her.

I shut the door to the cell, after making sure Salazar had the key. To give us some extra security, I tapped it with the stone pendant I wore around my neck. I had learned a simple spell from the magic book that made doors soundproof. The pendant was to channel the magic. I had been learning a lot in the past week…

“Who are you?” Helga whispered, her voice gentle. “What do you want?” She looked from Salazar, who was still studying her closely, to Godric, who was watching her concernedly, to me. I was first to speak.

“Helga, why are you in jail?” I asked, examining her just as intensely as the boys were. Her answer would determine everything.

“Because they think I’m a witch. They think I can do magic,” she said, her eyes both hopeless and defiant. “They think I’m the devil.”

“Are you?” said Salazar.

“No,” she replied. “I’m not the devil. But I do wish I could do magic.”

“Helga,” said Godric, reminding me immensely of this time last week, “do you believe in magic?”

She trembled for a moment, watching us. She tore her gaze away from Godric and looked at me. I tried to convey all my reassurance and hope for her through my very eyes.

“Yes,” she whispered.

“We have some things to tell you,” I said, seating myself on the floor next to Salazar, facing her dead on.

We explained the magic to her, how it was real, and how the book told us everything. We explained how we were the only ones who believed and had the power to do the spells. When we finished, she looked scared.

“We have this power. Just us,” she said. I could tell she understood the vast implications of such incredible knowledge, just as I did. “That’s scary.”

The boys and I nodded in unison.

“Hold it,” she said, comprehension dawning on her face. “I’m going to be put to death next… next week,” she continued, faltering a bit at the thought of her impending doom. I noticed Godric subtly entwine his fingers in one of her hands. She looked at him, smiling, and went on, “Can you stop me from dying?”

Salazar paused, looking at Helga and Godric’s clasped hands, and then he looked at me, a clever grin on his face. I smiled mischievously back, but in a way that clearly meant: We can tease him about it later… Salazar, Godric and I had gotten very well in sync with each other over the past week, and he clearly got the message.

He turned back to Helga, saying, “No, we can’t stop you from dying. But we can stop the flames from hurting you.”

Godric quickly outlined our plan, which depended on one thing: one of us learning freeze fire in the next week. Hopefully, this would not prove impossible. The task had been left mostly to me, and I still hadn’t the heart to tell any of them how badly my work was going. I couldn’t figure out how to channel the magic properly, but I wasn’t about to say anything. I refused to disappoint Helga, whose face was now shining with hope.

“…But we don’t know if the spell’s going to work or not, so we all best hope for Rowena to come up with something brilliant,” Godric finished, looking proudly at me. I gave a weak smile. Salazar, who had lapsed into a thoughtful reverie for the past few minutes, finally spoke.

“We should make a vow,” he said decidedly. “So that no one can betray us.”

“Why should we need one?” Helga asked, a note of reproach in her voice.

“I don’t know. I just thought… better safe than sorry, I guess,” he said, trailing away vaguely.

“I like it,” Godric cut in. “Only, instead of promising something, let’s tell each other a secret. Something no one else knows.”

“Yes,” said Salazar, suddenly inspired. “If you’re with us, say the deepest and most desperate desire of your heart,” he finished, putting his hand in the middle of the small circle our four bodies had somehow formed. The only light in the cell came from the one sputtering candle I had lit an hour before, and it played spookily across his sharp features as he said his greatest desire.

“To have power.”

Godric placed his hand on top of Salazar’s, and whispered so that the candle flame danced, sending wavy shadows on the walls.

“To be honored.”

Helga’s tears had vanished and her eyes were oddly fierce and glittering in the candlelight as she spoke, resting her thin hand on Godric’s.

“To be loved.”

I looked at their faces in the half light, feeling the thrill and fear of our own great power course through me. Magic could come back. It could. The glory of bygone days could return. Resolve to make it happen filled my heart, and I laid my hand on top of Helga’s, sealing the circle of trust, and speaking my greatest desire aloud.

“To understand.”

We held our hands there for a moment. I could have sworn I felt the magic coursing through our interlocked fingers. The entire earth seemed to hold its breath, until Godric spoke, his voice full of courage.

“This is it. We’re the ones who are going to bring the magic back. I can feel it.”
Ch. 3- Helga Is Not God by smiley10792
Author's Notes:
Here it is- the final chapter! Enjoy. I know some people have had questions about how exactly the magic works in this fic. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to review, or just click contact on my author's page.

All stuff you recognize is JKR's...you know the drill


Incendia congelo,” I said angrily, waving my wand over the stubbornly hot candle for what must have been the fiftieth time that day. The wax suddenly stopped dripping onto the floor of the hayloft, and my spirits soared for a moment. Maybe the charm had finally worked… Tentatively, I stuck a small strand of hay into the flame, holding my breath.

“Ouch!” I yelped as the hay caught fire and singed my finger. Cursing, I dropped the offending bit of hay, and leapt up before the loft caught fire, stomping the fire out quickly. I sat back down and rifled through the pages of Moste Potente Magyk, the book Godric and Salazar had found.

A light footstep startled me and I spun around, nearly toppling into the hay. It was only Salazar.

“Hello,” he said quietly. “I’m sorry if I startled you,”

“That’s fine,” I replied as he sat down beside me, and stared at the book on the floor.

“Are you still trying to freeze the fire?” he asked, looking at the candle. I nodded.

“I’ve figured out the incantation. You just have to say what you want in Latin, and concentrate on what’s going to happen. The hard part is channeling your magic so that it’s focused and directed on what you want to do. I’ve tried a stone, and then a wooden wand, but it’s still not working,” I explained. He was reading a few paragraphs at the top of the open book.

“It says here that if you find certain substance- like an herb- to channel the magic into, it works better. Have you tried that?” he said absently, eyes still glued to the book.

“No,” I said, surprised. “Give me that.” I grabbed the book off of the floor and Salazar frowned at me, clearly annoyed that I’d interrupted him. I reread the top paragraphs, ignoring his glare, and gave a cry of delight.

“You’re a genius! I bet this will work,” I said, grinning jubilantly at him. He smiled smugly back.

“What herb are you going to try?” he asked.

“I don’t know…” I mused quietly. “Do you think thyme might work? That’s supposed to help you see faeries, so maybe it can improve the magic’s potency. And we have plenty of it.”

“I don’t see why not,” he replied. “Just try it.” He scrambled down from the loft, presumably to find the thyme where we kept herbs in the back of the barn. I peered over the edge of the loft, waiting. He reappeared almost instantly, breathing slightly heavier than normal. He grabbed the wand from where I had discarded it in frustration on the floor, tying the thyme messily around it with a bit of white string he produced from his pocket.

I took the wand and grasped it tightly in my hand, concentrating very hard on what I wanted to do. Holding the stone a few inches above the candle, I whispered the incantation.

It was as though a sudden rush of power surged through me and the wand in my hand. I could hear Salazar gasp beside me as the wand suddenly glowed white hot, and the fire instantly stopped radiating heat. Hardly daring to believe it, I stuck another bit of hay in the flames.

I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding. The hay was completely unblemished. I allowed the candle flame to lick my fingers, and I felt no pain. Letting out a whoop of jubilation, I held the candle up so the flame ticked Salazar’s nose. He flinched, but he wasn’t burned.

“It worked!!” I screeched delightedly, jumping to my feet. Salazar did too, as excited as I was. I jumped up and down, still screeching, and shoving the candle flame everywhere I could reaching, celebrating the fact that everything remained untouched.

“You did it,” Salazar said, grinning widely and grabbing both my hands in his. “I knew you would.” Unexpectedly, he leaned over and kissed my cheek, turning slightly pink, but still beaming.

“It’s all about believing,” I said, positively shaking with excitement. “And I definitely believe.”




“Rowena,”

I turned over in bed, giving a halfhearted moan. There was a voice intruding my dreams, and although it sounded rather authorative, I didn’t care. I wanted it to go away.

“Go… away,” I mumbled indistinctly into my mattress. Now something was prodding my shoulder. I wanted that to go away too.

“I will not go away. Get up already. We’re not going to get there in time!”

I turned over again and opened my eyes, shielding them with my arm as the early morning sun hit my face. Salazar’s features swam into view, his dark brow blurry. I blinked once and he came slowly into full focus. I grinned up at him briefly, and then remembered where I was.

“Salazar!!” I practically exploded. “I’m still in my nightdress. You’re in my bedroom! You are going to be in so much trouble if anyone finds you here. Get out so I can get dressed.”

“Sorry,” he said, his ears going red. “I just needed to get you out of bed. We have only two hours before we have to go help Helga.”

“Fine,” I said. “I’m getting up.” Salazar left the room quickly so I could get ready.

When I was properly dressed and cleaned, I met the boys in the dining room, where we ate a hasty breakfast, and headed out to the stables. We had an hour before we had to leave for Helga’s execution, and I still had to show Godric the spell I had finally worked out with Salazar’s help.

Godric was appropriately impressed with the spell I had managed to pull off, but he had his doubts.

“Are you sure you’ll be able to freeze all the flames in the bonfire? A fire that’s meant to kill someone is bound to be a lot bigger than a candle,” he said, his brow wrinkling. I frowned.

“I hope so. It’s the best I can do,” I replied.

We arrived for the execution just as the fire was being made. We didn’t try to get in and see Helga, because we wanted there to be no doubt that we hadn’t interfered with the trial and punishment. I watched as several gigantic soldiers piled wood into a large fire ring, in the center of which was a stake and a small platform.

There were people crowded into the square, clearly eager to watch the execution of an “evil servant of the devil”. I stared around at the enraptured faces, disgusted. Why on earth would anyone want to watch someone die, even if that person did deserve it?

The moment the church bells chimed noon, the doors to the jail opened, and the nasty man, Peter, appeared, dragging Helga behind him.

Helga was screaming and sobbing in fear, even though she knew we were there. The fact still remained that she was about to get up on the tiny platform and the soldiers were going to set fire to the pile of oily wood around her.

“NOOOO! PLEASE HAVE MERCY!” she screamed, her fists flailing and hitting every inch of Peter that she could reach. “Have mercy…” she finished, more quietly, wiping her runny nose on the sleeve of her dress. Peter looked disgusted and he slapped her soundly across the face, leaving an additional red mark among her bruises from past beatings. She stopped sobbing and glowered at him, continuing to beat his arms with her fists, as though determined to inflict as much misery on him as she possibly could before walking onto the platform.

A few soldiers walked over to assist Peter in negotiating a still hysterical Helga into the fire pit, while a few more tied her securely against the stake. She was staring around the square, her tangled hair falling in her face, looking tragic, lost and hopeless.

But then she spotted us. I caught her eyes in mine, and gave her the most supportive look I could possibly muster, trying to convey strength and hope as much as I could. She gave me the tiniest of nods and the shadow of a smile. Godric and Salazar were watching her hopefully as well. She immediately stopped crying and stared resolutely into the crowd.

Everyone seemed slightly unnerved by her change in behavior, but they were even more unnerved when she looked over at Peter, who was holding the torch to light the bonfire, and spat in his face.

“I’m ready. I don’t care anymore,” she said as Peter wiped her spit away from his nose.

I watched, as if in slow motion, as Peter’s hand brought the torch down to touch the nearest log. The fire began, spreading slowly along the logs, crackling and smoking slightly. Helga remained with her head up, her eyes straight ahead, looking like the picture of trusting bravery.

My time had come. I could smell the bit of acrid smoke that was now rising from the fire. Salazar grabbed my hand and squeezed it, as if to say Now!. I raised my wand, concentrating harder than I had every done in my life.

I believe, I believe, I believe.

“Incendia congelo,
” I whispered.

The fire continued to burn. The flames licked Helga’s legs, but she did not scream. The fire couldn’t hurt her. As the fire worked its way up her body, it continued to leave her unburned.

Then Helga did something I am sure no one has ever done at an execution. She laughed. Her laugh was full-throated and beautiful, even in the face of death. I saw Godric watching her, love evident in his face. The sound was beautiful, and it brought a tear to my eye and a giggle into my throat. Salazar still hadn’t let go of my hand.

Dumbfounded, one of the soldiers threw a bucket of water on the flames, quenching them instantly. The square stood still and silent, except for Helga’s laughter.

“She is God,” whispered one slack-jawed bystander. I stepped forward, followed by Salazar and Godric.

“No,” I said, loudly enough so that everyone could hear me. “Helga is not God. She has magic.”




So, my friends, that is the account of the rediscovery of magic. It is real, and it is accessible to only those who believe. There are already some every day who come to us to hear of the magic. There are already some who believe enough to use this wonderful and terrible power. We have big plans, and we’re going to do great things. Keep watch for us, and for anything that seems out of the ordinary, because it may just be magic…

We are:
Salazar Slytherin, the powerful.
Helga Hufflepuff, the kind.
Godric Gryffindor, the bold.
Rowena Ravenclaw, the wise.

And we definitely believe.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=62990