Ron Potter and the Next Generation by PEMDAS
Summary: The Second War is long over, and a new generation of Potters and Weasleys is ready to enter Hogwarts. Ron Potter, son of Harry and Ginny Potter, and his cousin, Harry Weasley, son of Ron and Hermione Weasley, both enter Hogwarts with a sense of fun and games...but when vengeful Death Eaters hear of Harry Potter's son entering Hogwarts, they plot to escape Azkaban and avenge their master's death through Ron Potter...and ultimately, the Boy Who Lived himself.
Categories: Post-Hogwarts Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 31357 Read: 77483 Published: 04/22/07 Updated: 09/20/07

1. Prologue: The Reunion by PEMDAS

2. Aboard the Hogwarts Express by PEMDAS

3. The Sorting by PEMDAS

4. Snape vs. Trevor by PEMDAS

5. Breakout! by PEMDAS

6. Lessons with Professor Potter by PEMDAS

7. Quidditch Tryouts by PEMDAS

8. The Boy That Cried "Death Eater" by PEMDAS

9. The Interrogation by PEMDAS

10. The Secret Office of Severus Snape by PEMDAS

11. Documents, Detention, and Deceit by PEMDAS

12. Death Eaters and Glasses and Quidditch - Oh My! by PEMDAS

13. Slipping Away by PEMDAS

14. The Hideout by PEMDAS

15. Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire by PEMDAS

16. The Aftermath by PEMDAS

17. Vanishing Act by PEMDAS

18. Apologies and Explanations by PEMDAS

19. Epilogue: The Reunion (Again) by PEMDAS

Prologue: The Reunion by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
This is a prologue, so this chapter will be shorter than the other chapters. Otherwise, enjoy the story!



It was a beautiful summer, and another bright, sunny morning in August dawned upon the Burrow. Molly Weasley, who was now nearing her seventies, was very excited about this particular day: today, her children and their spouses were coming to visit, with their kids.





Molly and Arthur were now proud grandparents of fourteen: six boys and eight girls. Molly, grinning in spite of herself, walked into the kitchen, in search of a family photo. Ah…there it is, she thought, spotting it atop a cupboard. She summoned it to her with her wand, sitting at the table with a cup of coffee to look over it again.





It was a portrait of the summer eleven years ago: her seven children and their spouses, all casually sitting around a table in the backyard of the Burrow. They were all laughing and joking around (the latter not heard from the real world past the portrait), and it was obvious that they were all having a good time. Molly’s eyes were suddenly drawn to Harry and her Ginny, kissing each other before returning to the conversation.





It still amazed her that her two youngest children were the first to give birth. Ginny and Hermione became pregnant within the same time area, and they both had to go to the hospital with their anxious husbands, Ron and Harry, at the same time. Almost impossibly, the cousins were born in the same room at the exact same minute: twin cousins, as Molly always called them. They were born on July 14, and they were named Harry and Ron: Harry after his uncle, Ron after his.





The rest of the babies came out in a jumble: different children being born to different children. It soon became so complicated that Molly had to make a chart to remind herself who was who:





Bill & Fleur


Chloe


Bailey


Madeline






Charlie & Danielle


Grant





Percy & Penelope


Gertrude


Francis






Fred & Cecilia


Arthur


Derek






George & Haley


Gina





Ron & Hermione


Harry


Leslie


Candace






Ginny & Harry


Ron


Veronica






Ron “ 11


Harry “ 11


Chloe “ 10


Grant “ 10


Bailey “ 9


Leslie “ 9


Veronica “ 9


Gertrude “ 9


Madeline “ 8


Candace “ 8


Francis “ 6


Arthur “ 4


Gina “ 2


Derek “ 6 months








Molly was so wrapped up in the gladness of it all, she didn’t notice Arthur walk in until he sat down beside her. “Can’t wait for them to arrive?” he asked. She nodded, smiling.





“Good,” came Arthur’s reply. “Because they’re here.”





Molly looked at him before dashing out back…there they were, all twenty-eight of them, waiting for her in the yard. “Surprise!” the adults all said, followed by a few individual shouts from the kids.





“Oh!” Molly exclaimed happily. “I wasn’t expecting you until noon-”





“We couldn’t wait to come,” Ginny said. “Veronica wouldn’t sit still waiting for twelve ’o clock to come, so we came early.”





The other six couples murmured their own versions of why they were early.





“Well, no matter,” Molly said, brandishing her wand. She created a long, sixteen-seat table for the adults, and a round fourteen-seat table for the kids. As they all chatted animatedly of what was happening, several of the grandkids came up to give Molly a hug. Ron and Harry, the “Inseparable Duo,” came up together. “Grandma, guess what?” Ron said. “We’re going to Hogwarts next month!”





“Oh!” Molly said in surprise. It was still strange to think of Ginny, having a child only two weeks after graduating from Hogwarts…she had upheld a lot of teasing, being pregnant her whole seventh-year. Molly still kicked herself for agreeing for Harry to visit her at the beginning of the year…she shuddered. At least Hermione was out of school when it happened…





“We can’t wait,” Harry put in. “We’ve gotta give ol’ Snape a piece of our mind for Uncle Harry!”





Molly couldn’t help but grin. Snape, who had returned to his job as Potions Master a year after Voldemort was defeated and he was cleared of all charges, was still as resentful and surly as ever. “Just try not to get into too much trouble,” she had to say.





Ron snickered. “Sorry, Grandma,” he said, “but we have too much of Uncle Fred and George’s blood in us to take THAT seriously.”





Everyone laughed at this. Fred and George later muttered a charm under their breaths to put whoopee cushions on the twin cousins’ chairs.





The reunion lasted all day. While the cousins all watched Ron and Harry have at it on the Quidditch pitch (Ron had inherited his dad’s Seeker abilities; Harry his dad’s Keeper skills), Molly prepared a big dinner. As all good witches knew, a meal cooked by hand rather than by wand was far better, and everyone was soon filling their bellies with delicious steak and gulping down the ice-cold pumpkin juice. Soon, it was time to leave.





“Good bye, everyone!” Molly called as everyone got into their own family circles to Apparate together. “Travel safely!” That statement was a joke; nothing was safer than an Apparition when done right. “And Ron; Harry…let me know how Hogwarts goes!”





“Will do!” came two voices as the twenty-eight people disappeared with a loud CRACK.
Aboard the Hogwarts Express by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Enjoy Ch. 2!
***

Ron sighed and sat back in his seat on the Hogwarts Express as the great train rolled out of Kings Cross Station. Across from him was Harry, waving at his parents as they rolled out of sight of the station. Eventually, he too sat down, sighing in turn.

Ron grinned as he stared at the fast-moving scenery outside the window. “I can’t believe we’re finally going to Hogwarts,” he said.

“Me, neither,” Harry said, though slightly more sadly.

“What’s up?” Ron asked, quizzically. His cousin was always talking about what he was going to do when he got to Hogwarts; what was with him now?

“It’s just…” Harry shook his head. “Nothing. It’s just something stupid…”

“C’mon, Harry, I’m your cousin,” Ron said. “You can tell me!”

“Oh…it’s just that I’m going to miss Mum and Dad,” Harry said, trying to force a smile as though it wasn’t a big deal. It ended up looking like a lopsided smirk.

“Oh, you won’t be away from them for that long,” Ron said. “Auntie Hermione said she’d had to meet with Headmistress McGonagall a lot during school terms in the past, and Uncle Ron is always doing funny stuff to cheer us up; I’ll bet he’ll visit!”

“Yeah; visit, visit, visit,” Harry spat angrily, surprising Ron. “At least you’ll get to see your dad every day; Uncle Harry never leaves his precious son…”

“Blimey, Harry!” Ron exclaimed. “Lighten up! Besides, I thought you were happy that ‘The Boy Who Lived’ was teaching us Defense Against the Dark Arts this year…”

“I am,” Harry sighed. “I just wish I could see my parents more often than that…”

Ron touched him on the shoulder. “You’ll be fine,” he said reassuringly. “I’ll be with you; remember?”

Harry nodded solemnly. Just then, someone knocked on the compartment door: the lunch trolley had arrived. “Anything from the trolley, dearies?” the squat little witch asked.

Ron and Harry looked at each other, smirking. “No, thanks,” Harry said in a sad tone. He pulled a squashed-looking sandwich out of his pocket. “I’m all set.”

Ron could barely suppress a smirk as he piled gold into the witch’s hand. “We’ll take the lot!”

She gave one look at him and laughed heartily. “You’ll be a Potter, then,” she said as he nodded. “And you…” She looked over at Harry. “I’ll bet you’re a Weasley.”

Harry nodded. “My parents are Ron and Hermione Weasley,” he said.

“Mine are Harry and Ginny Potter,” Ron put in.

The witch smiled. “Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, you say? And Harry Potter with Ginny Weasley? I knew them all…that reenactment confirmed it after they all left Hogwarts…” She absently piled the food onto a seat in the compartment and left, still chuckling.

Harry rolled his eyes as Ron burst out laughing. “It wasn’t THAT funny,” Ron’s cousin said with a groan.

Ron wiped his eyes. “I know,” he said, “but it was still funny!”

Harry sighed as the two boys began digging in to their sweets from the trolley. As Ron munched on a Chocolate Frog and Harry dug through a box of Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavor Beans, the compartment slid open once again. The two looked up to see a pale-faced, blonde-haired girl about the same age as they were.

“Aha, so it’s true,” the girl sneered. “A new generation of Potters and Weasleys. How pathetic.”

Ron glared at her. “Judging by the ugly pug face, I’d guess you were a Malfoy. Shame you’re not in Azkaban like your Mummy and Daddy…”

The girl’s eyes narrowed. “The name’s Marilyn,” she said, ignoring the last remark. “Marilyn Malfoy. And I suppose your fathers gave you the same name as theirs…?”

“We were named after each other’s uncles,” Harry piped in.

“Pity,” Marilyn said, shaking her head. “But, your fathers never did have an ounce of originality in their mud…oh, I mean, blood…” She sneered.

The boys both stood up indignantly. Marilyn was a head taller than either of them, but Ron doubted she could match the son of Harry Potter in a duel. He drew his wand, which made Marilyn laugh. “Oh, is wittle bitty Potter going to use magic?” she asked in a baby voice. “Is he going to try to be a big boy like his father never was?”

In a flash, Marilyn screamed as the compartment door’s glass exploded behind her, showering all over her. As she brushed glass shards from her greasy blond hair, she drew her own wand. “Two can play at this game, Potter,” she growled. “Furnun-”

“Rictusempra!” cried Harry, who had drawn his own wand. Marilyn doubled over, giggling unwillingly as she was tickled endlessly. With a final flick of his wand, Ron sent her sprawling out of the compartment. He closed the door, repaired the window, and high-fived with Harry as they went back to the treats.

But it wasn’t long until the door opened again. The boys looked up to see a boy, again at their age, with dark-brown hair and a rather sloppy complexion. “I h-heard that Harry Potter’s son was here,” he stuttered nervously.

“That’s me,” Ron said, nodding. “Who’re you?”

“I’m Trevor Longbottom,” the boy said, staring at his feet. “My d-dad was friends with your dad in school…”

As Ron recalled his dad’s stories of blundering Neville Longbottom and his evasive toad, Trevor, he had to laugh. “What’s so funny?” asked Trevor, confused.

“Nothing,” Ron said quickly. “Oh, and this is my cousin, Harry. He’s Ron Weasley’s son.”

“Oh, my dad talked about your dad, too,” Trevor said as he noticed Harry, munching on a Pumpkin Pasty. “You were the one always following Harry Potter around…”

Harry smirked. “Hey, my dad was Harry Potter’s best friend,” he said. “Don’t go putting him down!”

“Sorry,” Trevor mumbled.

“No problem,” Ron said. “Hey, d’you want to join us? We’ve got plenty of room…”

“N-no thanks,” Trevor said. “I’ve gotta go…erm…change.” With that, he shuffled out of the compartment, looking very embarrassed.

“Change, eh?” Ron said to Harry with a smirk. “We don’t arrive at Hogwarts until dusk…”

“Hey, give him a break!” Harry said. “If he’s anything like Uncle Harry said Neville was, he could be a good friend!”

“Well, sor-ry,” Ron said. “You didn’t have to scold; it was just a joke!”

“Whatever,” Harry said, helping himself to a Treacle Tart.

The train ride was to end at around 6 in the evening. About quarter ’til, Ron gasped as he saw the great castle emerge from behind a hill. “It’s even better than Dad said it would be,” he breathed.

“Yeah,” Harry said in awe. Both of the boys then began to change into their school robes.

Ron patted the right side of his chest proudly. “The Gryffindor mark will be right about here in about an hours’ time.”

“Oh, yeah!” Harry gasped. “The Sorting!”

After their robes were fastened, the boys anxiously sat down, awaiting the train’s arrival at Hogsmeade Station. Finally, the train began to slow. When it finally came to a complete stop, Ron stood up and opened the compartment door. It was a mess in the hallways. Everyone scrambled to get out, hoping to be the first to enter the grand castle. With a deep breath, Ron and Harry entered the throng.

After being thrown to the ground three times, the two cousins finally stumbled off of the train. Ron wondered who would be leading the first-years across the lake this year. Of course, it couldn’t be…

“Firs’ years, over here, firs’ years!” came a booming voice from the left. Ron stared: it could only be Rubeus Hagrid, with his long overcoat and bushy beard…not to mention being four feet taller than almost everyone at the station.

“H-Hagrid?” Ron asked timidly, walking over to him. “You still work here?”

“O’ course,” Hagrid said without looking at him. “Giants’ blood; long life, yeh know…” He finally looked at Ron, yelping in surprise. “Harry?” he asked in shock.

“I’m his son,” Ron said eagerly, “Ron Potter.”

Hagrid stared for a moment before roaring with laughter. “Harry Potter, having a son?” he asked. “That rascal never told me…who’s yer mother, Ron?”

“Ginny Weasley-Potter,” he replied.

“Ah, I always knew those two were mean’ to be together,” Hagrid said. “An’ I don’ suppose you know what became of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger…”

Just then, Harry walked over. “Hey, it’s Hagrid!” he said in surprise.

Hagrid laughed again. “So I take it you’re a Weasley,” he said.

“Ron and Hermione Weasley’s son,” Harry said.

“I knew it,” Hagrid said as the rest of the first-years gathered around them. As he led the group to the lake, he sighed and said, “Ooh, this is going to be a fun year…”

Luckily, the trip across the lake was uneventful. One group exclaimed that they saw the giant squid, although Hagrid said it was probably just some stray seaweed. But Ron was sure he had seen a merman’s face in there…before long, they reached the stairway that led up to the Great Hall. Hagrid led the way up it, leading the first-years into the castle for the Sorting, for the very first time.
The Sorting by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
What House will the Inseperable Duo be separated into? Find out...


Harry and Ron gasped: the Great Hall was even better than their fathers had described it to be! The walls were lined with purple, linen carpets, and the length of it was probably that of two Quidditch fields. Of course, that seemed like more like TWENTY fields to the first-years, who had to walk down the entire length of it to get to the front of the room. Elderly Professor McGonagall stood at the head of the room, holding the Sorting Hat. As the students arrived at the front, gathering off to the side, McGonagall began to explain the process.

Those who didn’t know how you were Sorted looked relieved as she spoke; others, like Harry, Ron, and Marilyn Malfoy, just stood with blank faces. Finally, McGonagall unrolled a piece of parchment, calling out, “Aubrey, Gregory!” A timid-looking boy stepped forward, sitting on the bench as McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on his head.

The hat was quiet for a moment, and then it shouted, “RAVENCLAW!”

As the Ravenclaw table burst into applause and Gregory Aubrey hurried off, many first-years jumped back in surprise at the Hat’s outburst. Those like Harry, Ron, and Marilyn, however, were wondering what had happened to the Sorting Hat’s song….

The Sorting was a strange experience for the boys, for they recognized a few names: a girl named Frieda Finch-Fletchey went to Gryffindor, as did Trevor Longbottom, while Wilson Macmillan went to Hufflepuff.

Following Wilson was Marilyn. She cockily strode forward amidst the hushed whispers issuing through the Great Hall at the mentioning of “Malfoy”, and it was no surprise when the Hat screeched “SLYTHERIN” before the brim of it reached Marilyn’s forehead. The Slytherin table cheered.

Only a few more to go until Ron’s turn…. “Norman, Haley” “ “Offenhouse, Meghan” “ “Porter, Emily” “ and finally “ “Potter, Ronald.”

The murmuring crowd went dead quiet at that name. Nervously fingering the wand in his pocket, Ron approached the Sorting Hat. He had hoped that the hat would put him in a House quickly, so as not to prolong his embarrassment and nervousness. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

“Ah,” the Sorting Hat said knowingly. “Another Potter. Well, I suppose you’ll be wanting to go to Gryffindor like your mother and father, correct?”

“Yes,” Ron said boldly, without hesitation.

“I see that your blood is of mixed line,” the Hat said. “One parent a pure-blood, the other a half-blood…you are a ¾ blood, my boy!”

Ron grinned. What’s a ¾ blood?

“But, no matter,” the Hat said. “A Ms. Hermione Granger was a Muggle-born, yet she went to Gryffindor, as well…but, of course, you’ve inherited some of your father’s Slytherin traits…”

Ron was undeterred by this remark. If he’d only inherited some of his father’s traits, and Harry Potter had been Sorted into Gryffindor, well…

“I see this has no effect on you,” the Hat said with a touch of surprise. “Well, as you wish…GRYFFINDOR!”

Ron grinned as the Gryffindor table burst into applause. He wished he could say he was relieved, but it was no such shock to be Sorted into the same house as all of his relatives before him. He glanced at his dad, up at the Head Table, who was grinning at him, before walking down to the Gryffindor table.

After Ron had been seated at the far table beside Trevor Longbottom, there were twelve more students left to be Sorted. Ron could tell that Harry grew more and more nervous as they approached the W’s: Timbale, Georgia went to Ravenclaw…as did Tuscal, Annabel…Washburn, Brianna went to Hufflepuff…and finally…

“Weasley, Harry!”

Harry stepped forward towards the stool. He looked slightly less confident than Ron had been, and as he sat down, he shivered as McGonagall approached him with the Hat. She placed it over his head, promptly dropping it onto him. The brim passed over his eyes, but before it even came to rest, it burst out: “Aha! Another Weasley finally passes through Hogwarts School! I know just where to put you…GRYFFINDOR!”

It was certainly one of the shortest Sortings of the evening…second to Marilyn, in fact. Relieved, Harry bounded down to sit on Ron’s other side.

As the last student “ “Zhou, Kelly” “ was Sorted into Ravenclaw, Flitwick came out and whisked the hat and stool out of the Great Hall. McGonagall went around the Head Table, standing in front of the headmistress’ chair. She cleared her throat, and began her speech.

“Welcome, all, to Hogwarts School!” she said, which was met by loud cheering. “Congratulations to our first-years for making this term our biggest ever, with over 1, 300 students! Now, down to business:

“As always, the Forbidden Forest is “ as insinuated by the name “ forbidden to all students, unless under the counsel of a staff member. Any student caught breaking this rule will be expelled, no exceptions.

“Also, our caretaker, Argus Filch-” She gestured to the raggedy old man, who was lurking in a corner and stroking his ancient cat, Mrs. Norris. “-has added another item to this year’s banned items list: Invisibility Cloaks. As in the past, any student found with any of the 1,435 items on the list will have it confiscated and will serve detention for two weeks.”

As she spoke, Ron noticed the caretaker glaring at him. He leaned over to Harry. “We’ll be sure to not let Filch get my dad’s, huh?”

Harry stared at him, incredulous. “You BROUGHT it?” he hissed. “But I thought Uncle Harry forbade you from bringing it!”

Ron glanced at his dad up at the High Table with a smirk. “Like that was going to stop me!”

“…Quidditch tryouts will be held when notified by Team Captains, who should post a notice on their House’s message boards in their respective common rooms. As always, first-years are not allowed.” She gave a meaningful glance at Ron and Harry as she said this. Up at the High Table, however, Harry Potter only looked bemused.

“Now, we have two new additions to our staff this year,” McGonagall said, which made everyone sit up straight. They had all seen Harry up at the High Table, of course, and wanted to know what he was teaching.

“First, we have Professor Ramona Janssen, who will be your Arithmancy teacher in the light of Professor Vector’s retirement.” She gestured to the squat little witch, who received a small amount of polite applause.

“Second, we have, as has been the case for the past thirty-plus years, a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I introduce to you, although he probably needs no introduction, Professor Harry Potter!”

A roar of cheers met this announcement, and Harry grinned modestly and waved. Someone at the Hufflepuff table sent up a shower of sparks that formed the words POTTER RULES, although they were later reprimanded for it.

“Okay, that’s quite enough,” McGonagall said after five minutes of this. “Now…with all that being said, you may dig in.”

To everyone’s delight, food magically appeared in front of their very eyes. Ron and Harry each grabbed a plate and piled it with everything they could reach. They ate and talked at the same time, resulting in a few very messy faces. “Good thing Mum’s not here,” Harry said, sending a shower of mashed potatoes into Ron’s face. “She’d be telling me off for eating so much junk!”

After about a half-hour, when everyone had eaten their share, McGonagall stood up again. “Students will now be dismissed to their common rooms. First-years, follow your prefects; they will show you where to go.”

There was a loud scuffle as everyone pushed back their benches to get out of the Hall. “First years, this way! First years!” came a voice from Ron and Harry’s right: a tall, burly prefect was walking over to them, who immediately put out his hand. “Gregory Daniels. You’re Ron Potter, right?”

“Yep!” Ron said, shaking his hand. Once Gregory was done shaking hands with what he considered royalty, he led the way out of the hall and up the stairs. It took a while to reach the seventh floor amidst the huge crowd pushing and shoving each other, and Ron and Harry were separated a few times. However, they finally made it, and once Gregory had said the password “ “Yeti droppings” “ they all entered the Gryffindor Common Room.

Ron and Harry marveled at the place: it seemed large, but nice and cozy at the same time. As various people either went up to bed or went into their favorite spots to play or chat, Ron and Harry just stood for a minute, unsure of what to do. “I suppose we should go up and unpack?” Harry suggested. Ron nodded, and they went up the boys’ staircase to their dorm.

Their stuff was already on their four-posters when they arrived, and they were both side-by-side. Ron unzipped his suitcase to find, to his sudden surprise, that it was empty. He was a bit disturbed for a moment before remembering that he had placed his Invisibility Cloak on top. He removed it, stowing it safely in the chest at the foot of his bed before changing into his pajamas.

After he had done so, Ron began customizing his area. He placed posters of the England Quidditch team up on the wall. Then, he sorted his clothes into his chest in an organized manner, in contrast to Harry, who had inherited his father’s organization skills, as well: the crammed clothes protruded slightly from his cousin’s chest.

Finally, he crawled into the four-poster. Harry was already snoring away, but Ron sat up for a moment, just wrapped up in the happiness of it all. He was at Hogwarts! He was in Gryffindor! His dad was a teacher! And, best yet…his cousin was there, with him! The excitement of it all, as well as the food from the feast crammed into his belly, made him so drowsy that he couldn’t stay awake any longer. He fell backwards, fast asleep before his head hit the pillow.
Snape vs. Trevor by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
How are you liking it so far? I've enjoyed writing it...please read and review! I LOVE getting reviews!


Ron woke up to Harry’s snoring at six-thirty the next morning. He grinned…Uncle Ron would be proud of that continuous grunt from his cousin’s mouth. He threw a shoe at Harry (the snoring subsided) and got dressed for the day’s lessons.

Half an hour later, Ron and a very sleepy-looking Harry walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast. At the opposite end of the Hall, the Head of Houses were handing out schedules. They walked over to McGonagall, who immediately handed them their papers. “You see that you have me first today, boys,” she said to them in an undertone. “Just as with your fathers on their first day, I will not tolerate tardiness in my class.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Ron and Harry said at the same time before walking back to the Gryffindor table.

As they stuffed their faces with sausage, the boys examined their schedules. “We’ve got everything together!” Ron said joyfully. “Just like dad and Uncle Harry did!”

“Awesome!” Harry said. “Oh…bummer…we don’t have Defense Against the Dark Arts until Wednesday…”

“And we’ve got Potions after lunch,” Ron said, pointing to the small lettering on their slips of paper. “Blimey, if we didn’t have the same schedules, I’d be totally bummed…” They finished their breakfasts in silence. When the bell rang out across the entire campus, they stood up, grabbed their bags, and set off for Transfiguration.

Unfortunately, they were late for their first class. Luckily, though, McGonagall was being held up in the Great Hall, and they were barely in their seats before she walked briskly into the room. “Welcome to Transfiguration,” she said as she took her place at the front of the room. “Potter, Weasley…you’re late.”

“How’d she know?” Ron hissed to Harry. The latter merely shrugged: it was McGonagall, however.

McGonagall assigned homework at the end of the period, just as Professor Binns, the ghostly History of Magic teacher, did the following class. This class was used for Harry to catch up on sleep, and Ron to scribble down notes. After all, they didn’t have a smarty-pants girl to copy them from, like their fathers had....

Finally, after slogging through Herbology, Ron and Harry had lunch. They were about to sit down when a very excited Trevor Longbottom ran up to them. “I just had Defense Against the Dark Arts!” he said to Ron. “Your dad’s brilliant!”

“Thanks,” Ron said, grinning. After eating a few turkey sandwiches, Harry and Ron walked up to the North Tower for Astronomy. It was a bit boring...okay, it was VERY boring...but they managed to get through it. The professor explained the class and assigned them homework: to chart the moon until the end of the month.

After Astronomy, Ron and Harry walked down to the dungeons for Potions with Snape. Five minutes later, the bell rang. The menacing Potions Master swept into the room magnificently, causing a very abrupt silence amongst the class, Ron and Harry included. “I am Professor Snape, the Potions Master at this school,” he said in a belligerent tone. “This term, we will be…”

The door to the room opened again, and a very guilty-looking Trevor Longbottom trudged into the room. “Late, Longbottom,” Snape said harshly as the red-faced boy took a seat next to Harry and Ron. “I see that you have no more common sense than your useless klutz of a father…”

Trevor, shaking angrily at this, drew his wand and stood up. “My father is way greater than you’ll ever be!” he said grandly, surprising everyone whose parents had known Neville and his scaredy-cat reputation. Harry and Ron barely stopped themselves from applauding.

Snape merely looked amused. “Sticking up for your useless Auror, are you? …Or, at least, that’s what he calls himself.” He noticed the wand in Trevor’s chubby little hand. “Going to curse me, Longbottom? Even your father had better sense than that…”

Trevor stood there for a moment, shaking, and finally sank back into his chair. “I thought not,” Snape said. “Twenty points from Gryffindor for your classmate’s cheek…now…”

Several people screamed as a jet of blue light shot towards Snape, who only barely deflected it with his wand. It hit its original castor in the face…

Trevor groaned as his spell backfired on him, and he began to sprout feathers. The class laughed uproariously as he turned into a giant chicken, with the clucking and pecking and all.

Snape was smirking. “Poor, foolish boy,” he said. “Another twenty points from Gryffindor…someone should take him to the Hospital Wing, I suppose…”

“I will, Professor,” Ron volunteered, and without waiting for Snape’s consent, he grabbed Trevor under the arm (wing?) and guided him from the room.

Apparently, it wasn’t a long-term spell, as Neville eventually “molted,” turning back into a breathing, ranting human again. “I HATE Snape!” he yelled as soon as he regained his voice. “He-he insulted my father…I’m going straight to the Owlery to tell him…”

“We’re going to the Hospital Wing,” Ron said firmly. “Snape will probably contact Madam Pomprey after class to confirm that you actually got there…by the way, why were you late?”

Trevor suddenly looked glum. “Neville ran away.”

“Neville…” It hit Ron. “You have a toad named Neville?”

“Yeah…” Trevor said sadly. “I went up to the common room to get my Potions book, and Neville…jumped out the common room window.”

“No way!” Ron said incredulously. Trevor’s toad is suicidal! “What happened?”

“Well, I’m lucky it was windy, because the wind blew him right into the lake, if you’ll believe it,” Trevor said. “By that time, the bell had rung, so I’m really lucky I was only two minutes late.”

Ron patted him on the back. “Sorry to hear it.”

When they reached the hospital wing, Ron bade Trevor good-bye and headed back to the Gryffindor common room. There was no way he could endure Snape any longer after that. He went up to his dormitory, pulled his cloak out of the chest, and walked downstairs with it. He sat, invisible, in front of the fire, enjoying the feeling of being transparent.

When the bell rang, Ron returned his cloak to the chest. It was he and Harry’s break time at last, and he twiddled his thumbs, waiting for Harry to return from the dungeons. When he did, he bore a very grumpy look.

“We’ve got to write an eight-inch essay on bezoars,” he said. “What’s there to write? They come from a goat’s stomach…they cancel out poisons… He’s mental! Oh, and we lost another fifty House points when Marilyn Malfoy slipped a newt’s tail into my cauldron and it exploded…seemed to think it was my fault…”

“We’d better hope Flitwick gives us loads of House points,” Ron said gloomily. “I couldn’t bear losing Gryffindor 100 points per day…”

Unfortunately, Flitwick DIDN’T give them loads of House points; only five, in fact, when Harry helped the elderly Charms professor to his feet after a nasty fall from his chair. What he did give them loads of, though, is homework… “Your assignment is to keep a month-long calendar of every spell you cast,” he said. “At the end of the month, we will discern what percent of those were charms, hexes, curses, and regular spells!”

“Sometimes I wish Dad hadn’t taught us so many spells,” Ron said as they left Flitwick’s class, their last of the day. “Magic is just a part of life!” He gestured at the tiny boxes under each day of the month on his calendar-handout. “I cast at least twenty spells a day; how am I going to fit it all?”

Harry, who had fallen silent, suddenly said, “Why don’t we go visit Hagrid?”

“I can’t believe “ what?” Ron said, shaking out of his rant.

“Why…don’t…we…go…visit…Hagrid?” Harry said slowly and deliberately.

“Oh…okay,” Ron said absentmindedly, still fuming, not just about the calendar, but about all the homework they already had. It’s only the first day!

They walked down the sloping lawns to the small, wooden hut at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, where Hagrid was chastising a few students that had tried to sneak into the forest. “Hi, Hagrid!” Harry called from behind the massive half-giant.

Hagrid turned. “Hullo, boys!” he boomed. “How was yer first day o’ Hogwarts?”

Ron shrugged. “We have tons of homework already.”

“That’s life, boys,” Hagrid said, half-smiling. Taking no notice of the students sneaking away behind him, he said, “Get used ter it. Yeh’ve no idea how many times yer parents had been down here to complain ‘bout their homework load.”

Ron grinned sheepishly. “Well, come in and tell me all ‘bout it over some tea,” Hagrid said, gesturing for them to come inside his cabin with him.

Inside, Ron and Harry talked while sipping tea and politely refusing rock cakes all at the same time. When they were finished, Hagrid said, “Trevor Longbottom came to visit me during break, ranting ‘bout Severus…you’d think I was the school counselor, or summat…”

After finishing their last gulps of tea, Ron and Harry bade Hagrid farewell and trudged back up to the castle, brooding over all the time they would lose doing homework that afternoon.
Breakout! by PEMDAS
The next morning, Harry and Ron woke up early with the growing dread of knowing that they still had a load of homework to do. They had wasted the afternoon racing each other on their Firebolts out on the Quidditch pitch the previous day, and still hadn’t done any work. They worked restlessly for a while, stopping when everyone came down from the common rooms to eat breakfast.

There was a large group gathered around the Head Table in the Great Hall as Ron and Harry entered, and many curious Gryffindors rushed over to see what all the commotion was about, Ron and Harry among them. Everyone appeared to be chatting excitedly over something in the Daily Prophet. It was so noisy that Headmistress McGonagall had to stand up and send sparks into the air to regain control of the students.

“Everyone back to your tables!” she ordered. “We will clear up the matter momentarily.”

Ron glanced at his dad before heading back to the Gryffindor table. He was shocked to see him sadly looking back at him with a look of concern on his face. “What do you think is going on?” he muttered to Harry.

“Dunno,” Harry said, pointing to the ceiling. “But I think we’re about to find out.” Ron’s tawny-brown owl, Walter, was swooping down to the Gryffindor table. The two cousins hurried over to get the newspaper tied to Walter’s leg, ready to search the Prophet for whatever might’ve caught everyone’s attention.

They didn’t need to search long. They gawked at the front headline:

MASS BREAKOUT

Last night, over fifty widely-acclaimed Death Eaters escaped from Azkaban Prison. 102-year-old Minister Rufus Scrimgeour, upon hearing this news, rushed immediately to the scene to clear up the matter. We, too, sent our own Tina Gavin out to the field to see what had occurred…

Rufus Scrimgeour concludes, “The troll on duty last night, whose name will be withheld at the moment, apparently fell asleep on shift, barely within reach of one Death Eater, who managed to get hold of the guard’s keys. [He] found his wand, and all pandemonium broke loose.”

An estimated 46 trolls guarding the prison, nearly all at the site, were killed in the wake of the fifty-plus wizards. Experts say…


Suddenly, the paper was ripped from Ron’s hands. Ron looked up to see Marilyn Malfoy, sporting a nasty smirk. “Reading about my father, are you?” she said, grin never fading. “Too bad your father couldn’t take out a troll and steal his keys…”

“That coward you call a father had to wait for the troll to fall asleep first,” Ron spat back haughtily. “I’ll bet he’s really proud of himself…”

Marilyn glared at him. “We’ll see who’s laughing when you’re cornered with four dozen Death Eaters out to kill you, Potter.” With that, she turned and briskly walked away.

Harry looked worriedly at Ron. “D’you think she’s bluffing?” he asked, trying to hide his fear. “I mean…they didn’t break out just to get revenge on your dad, did they?”

Ron didn’t say anything. For once, he didn’t have an answer.

Suddenly, the room fell silent as Headmistress McGonagall stood up and cleared her throat. “Many of you have already heard that several dozen Death Eaters escaped from Azkaban last night,” she announced. There was a sharp intake of breath from a few students who had just walked into the Hall. “This means that a few ground rules need to be set down for extra caution:

“First, curfew will now be at eight-thirty sharp, with the exception of sixth and seventh years, for whom it is nine o’ clock sharp. Any student found out of bed after curfew will be punished severely. Secondly, the sending and receiving of anything by owl outside of the school will now be monitored. We advise that you do not make your letters too personal, or too inappropriate. Any Dark devices found will be destroyed immediately. Third…”

As she explained a few other rules, Harry and Ron whispered to each other. “Look at my dad,” Ron said, silently gesturing to Professor Potter up at the High Table. “We should talk to him afterwards.”

Harry nodded. “Man, this is scary,” he said in a shaky voice. “I mean “ the thought that we could be attacked by Death Eaters…” He shuddered. Ron glumly agreed. They waited for McGonagall to dismiss them for classes, and they chased after Ron’s dad, who had left the Hall at once.

“Dad!” Ron called after him. He had expected his dad to try to make a quick escape, but he instead turned, putting his hands on his son’s shoulders. Ron found himself looking deep into Harry Potter’s green eyes.

“Take heed of what McGonagall said,” he said in a low voice. “Follow all the rules, do whatever your teachers say, and do not use the Invisibility Cloak.” With that, he turned and walked up to his classroom.

Harry’s eyebrows arched. “He knows about your Cloak!” he whispered in awe. “How…” he broke off at the sight of Ron, who was gazing up the stairs to where his father had been seconds before.

“You were right,” he said in a low voice. “The Death Eaters are coming to Hogwarts.”

***

“I don’t understand,” Harry said as they rushed off to History of Magic. “Why would your dad be worried about you? I mean, it’s him they want revenge on for killing their master, right?”

“Yes,” Ron said slowly. “But, obviously, they don’t want to directly confront the man who destroyed the most evil wizard on Earth. I reckon they’ll want to get me, instead, and use me to get to him.”

Harry gawked at him. “You think they’re going to use you as bait to lure Uncle Harry away from Hogwarts?”

Ron nodded. “And then they’ll kill us both,” he muttered. Harry’s eyes popped out even more. They couldn’t talk any further, because the bell rang and they had to scurry to History of Magic before Binns realized they were late, which he didn’t.

Ron had given up taking notes in History of Magic, figuring that if his dad didn’t consider it important, he shouldn’t either. He instead forced the Death Eaters from his mind by staring out the window, formulating a plan to get himself and Harry onto the Gryffindor Quidditch Team….

***

“Potter! Weasley!”

Harry and Ron looked up abruptly from their conversation. They were in Double Potions, and they were eager to get to lunch. Snape was glaring at them.

“Ten points from Gryffindor for your excessive talking,” he said coldly. “And I suggest you hurry with your potion; you have ten minutes remaining.

“Yes, sir,” Ron said. As soon as Snape had returned to checking everyone’s potions, they returned to their conversation.

“I’m telling you, Ron,” Harry whispered, “there’s no way they’ll let us on the team. You heard McGonagall; no first-years allowed. No exceptions.”

“That’s what they said in my dad’s year,” Ron retorted, “but he still got on the team.”

“Yeah, but only because Draco Malfoy stole someone’s Remembrall!” Harry protested. “And somehow, I don’t think we’ll convince a Slytherin to help us reenact something like that to get us on the team.”

“Who says we’ll be using a Slytherin’s help?” Ron replied coolly, smirking. “Don’t worry, I have a plan...”

“Potter! What did I say about talking?”

“Sorry, Professor...”
Lessons with Professor Potter by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Boy, is it weird to call Harry Potter "Professor" Potter, but it's the only way to avoid confusion with Harry Weasley, so just ignore that and read!
Unfortunately for Ron and Harry, the Gryffindor Quidditch Team tryouts weren’t to be held until Saturday, so they’d have to wait three more days to put their plan in motion. However, to take their minds off of that fact, they remembered that it was Wednesday at last, and they would finally have Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Potter. Many found it strange to call the great Harry Potter “Professor”, but nevertheless, they were all excited about the prospect of learning from him.

After breakfast, Ron and Harry had Charms. The elderly professor, Flitwick, had grown very old, but because of his goblin blood, he had an extended life over most wizards, so even at 150-plus years old, he was still teaching as though he were half his age. Most of the students, who shared Ron and Harry’s schedules for the day, weren’t paying much attention to Flitwick’s lecture about famous contributors and inventors of charms in the past, because they had DADA right after the lesson. After Flitwick wrapped up his lecture and assigned an essay on Ulna the Fair (inventor of the “Wingardium Leviosa” charm), the students rushed hurriedly out of the classroom, towards the DADA room.

When they entered the room, everyone looked around in amazement. Professor Potter had created a type of magical wallpaper, upon which various curses, charms and spells moved around, bumping off each other erratically. Ron noticed, with a sense of pride, that he knew several of the spells on the wallpaper.

Once everyone had taken their seats, Professor Potter walked to the front of the classroom. Everyone listened intently to what he had to say. “I’m sure all of you know me by now,” he said simply, “but in case you don’t, I am Professor Potter, probably better known as Harry Potter. However, I would prefer you all call me ‘Professor’.

“Now,” he continued, “you may have noticed the wallpaper I currently have on my wall. The words listed on it contain various spells, charms, curses, and hexes that may assist you in case of an emergency. In previous classes, I have had various students ask me what the significance of some of the words are, so I have decided that, at the end of each class, I will explain why two of those many words are up there. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” mumbled the class.

“Good,” Harry said. “Now, for your first lesson, I want to talk to you all about something that I’m sure you’d rather hear from me than Professor Binns.” Several people groaned at the mention of the name. “I know personally how boring he can be,” Harry said, “and don’t tell any other professors I told you this, but I personally think History of Magic, as a whole, is a big waste of time.” Almost everyone laughed at this; they could tell Professor Potter was going to be very laid-back and cool throughout the year.

“As I was saying,” Professor Potter said, “I want to tell you about something I doubt any of you were alive to witness...the Second Wizarding War.”

Everyone began whispering excitedly about hearing about the very battle the man standing before them played a key role in. Harry simply raised a hand patiently, and the class quieted.

“I wish to tell you this, not because of the historical significance of the war, but the methods of attack Lord Voldemort and his followers attacked their prey.” Even though Voldemort had been dead for over a decade, almost everyone shuddered at the name.

“I suppose I should make one thing clear in this class,” Professor Potter said. “I am hereby banning the use of any term towards Voldemort other than his name. I won’t have any of this ‘You-Know-Who’ or ‘He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’ rubbish in my class. I do this only because I wish to rid the wizarding world of the fear of a name. It is utterly foolish, in all honesty. Understood?”

“Yes,” the class replied softly. Ron and Harry looked at each other.

“Now, as I was saying, again,” Professor Potter continued, “the methods of which Voldemort attacked his prey, namely me....Voldemort worked in secrecy, never giving himself away to anyone. He could attack at any moment. At one moment you could be walking down a road, carefree, and three seconds later you’d be dead.”

Everyone was watching him intently. Professor Potter continued, “Now, I’m sure you’ve all heard about the breakout at Azkaban Prison yesterday. Voldemort’s Death Eaters are now at large once again, and there is good reason to believe that they are coming to Hogwarts.” Everyone gasped except Ron and Harry. “They are most likely after me, in order to avenge their master’s death. And while I’m more than capable of protecting myself, there is a chance that any one of you could be used as a trap for me. That is why I am here to teach you to defend yourself against such a thing should happen.

“If you do happen to be approached by a stranger, Death Eater or not, a simple spell should reveal their true identity. If a stranger comes up to you without immediately attacking you, which is usually the case in crowded areas, simply say the incantation “Identia Revelio” in your head, and their identity will appear above their head to tell you whether or not to trust them. We will practice this incantation today, as it is a pretty basic spell. For example...”

Professor Potter whipped out his wand, pointing it at Trevor. Trevor’s eyes widened, and he quivered nervously. Professor Potter waved his wand in a circle and thrust it deliberately at Trevor, and green lettering appeared above Trevor’s head: Trevor Longbottom, Hogwarts student. “The lettering above Mr. Longbottom’s head is green,” Professor Potter said simply, “which means he can be trusted. If the lettering is red, you should get away from that person immediately.”

Ron and Harry looked at each other. I wonder what color Marilyn’s name would be, Ron wondered.

“We will spend the remainder of the class practicing this spell,” Professor Potter said. “Everyone get a partner and practice the spell on each other.”

Naturally, Harry and Ron got together to practice. To Ron’s delight, he got the spell correct on the first try, while Harry took four tries to perfect it. Meanwhile, Trevor, who had been stuck without a partner and worked with Professor Potter, had only managed to create a cloud of green mist above the professor’s head. Finally, the bell rang, and everyone gathered their belongings and waited for the homework assignment. Professor Potter just watched them, bemused.

“You’re expecting homework, are you?” Professor Potter said, smirking. “I don’t know about the other professors, but I remember how difficult the first few weeks of school were, so you have no homework this week.” Everyone cheered and got up to leave the class.

“Wait!” someone called out. “What about the wallpaper?” Everyone remembered and sat back down.

“Of course, of course!” Professor Potter said. “Anyone want to ask about the spells on the wall?” Everyone looked around at the wall, looking for a spell to ask about. Finally, Trevor raised his hand timidly. “Yes, Mr. Longbottom?”

“Erm...how about ‘Reducto’?” Trevor asked. “Isn’t that used on objects, not people?”

“Yes, of course,” Professor Potter said. “However, it can be used to cause a large object to fall upon someone, however, or otherwise use objects as a weapon. For example...” Harry flicked his wand, muttering “Reducto,” and the large dinosaur skeleton on the ceiling fell towards the students. Nearly everyone screamed and covered their heads, but Professor Potter Immobilized the skeleton in midair and returned it to the ceiling.

“It can also be used as a distraction,” Professor Potter said nonchalantly, as though nothing had happened. Suddenly, there was a loud bang as a statue in the back of the room exploded with great force. Everyone turned around quickly, then looked back at Professor Potter, who had his wand behind his back, smirking. “You see? All right, what other spell would you like to have explained?”

Marilyn Malfoy raised her hand, and everyone looked at her. “Sorry, sir, but I don’t see how ‘Point Me’ could really help us in a duel,” she sneered.

Professor Potter smiled. “That is correct, Miss Malfoy,” he said. “However, you have to remember that not all encounters with Dark wizards will be duels. This spell was useful for me in the Second War, when I was captured by Death Eaters and brought to an enchanted mansion as a hostage. The mansion was bewitched so that if I tried to escape, which I obviously did, it would use illusions and other tricks to cause me to lose sense of direction. However, illusions cannot trick magic; the wand will always point north.

“Well, you’d all better be off, then,” Professor Potter said. “I will see you all on Friday. Off to Astronomy! Good bye!” With that, everyone got up and left the room, chattering excitedly.

“Your dad is amazing!” Trevor said to Ron as they walked up to the West Tower. “Of course, it helps to have defeated a Dark wizard...”

“I know,” Ron said cheerfully. “What do you think, Harry?”

Harry smirked. “I’ll bet we could get your dad to teach us some spells to jinx Marilyn permanently,” he said mischievously.

“Oh, really?” came a feminine voice from behind them. Ron and Harry whirled around to face Marilyn, glaring at them.

“Don’t forget, you two,” Marilyn said, “that my father was a Death Eater. Dark magic is far more powerful than whatever idiotic charms and spells your father uses.”

“Oh, yeah, that explains why my dad was able to kill your dad’s boss!” Ron said, glaring at her.

“Watch yourself, Potter,” Marilyn said menacingly. With that, she walked away, and Ron and Harry watched her go, wondering if she had something up her sleeve.

***

Author’s Note: Well, next chapter is when Ron and Harry try to get on the Quidditch team! Are you ready? Wait for Chapter 7!
Quidditch Tryouts by PEMDAS
It was Saturday morning at last, and Ron and Harry were anxiously awaiting the Gryffindor Quidditch team tryouts right after breakfast. Although Harry was too nervous to eat, Ron, who was confident his plan would work, shoveled down several pieces of toast and some scrambled eggs before they hurried down to the pitch for the tryouts.

The Gryffindor hopefuls all stood in the middle of the pitch before Cameron Hodge, the team’s Captain as well as one of the Chasers. Harry and Ron noticed, with relief, there was an opening for Keeper and Seeker, and one Beater. There were about forty people trying out, so Ron figured it wouldn’t be too hard to get the position on the team.

“Welcome to tryouts, everyone,” said Hodge, causing everyone to quiet down. “Now, I am going to hold tryouts separately for Chaser, Keeper, and Seeker hopefuls, in that order. First, though, I want to run a few drills. Everyone please get into groups of ten and fly a lap around the pitch.”

Ron and Harry joined eight other boys and they were chosen to go first around the pitch. Ron mounted his broomstick, happy to finally be flying with other riders other than just Harry. When Hodge blew his whistle, the ten of them took off from the ground, headed around the outside of the field.

No more than ten seconds into the flight, two fourth-years bumped into each other and spiraled to the ground. A few seconds later, a third-year swerved in front of Ron, and the latter dove down five feet to avoid him. This caused a sixth-year directly below Ron to freak out and roll out of the way, crashing into the stands. Luckily, there were no other incidents in the flight, and seven of the ten in the group had made it past the first round.

After the other three groups had flown (and ten more people got eliminated), Hodge had the remaining 27 people fly a relay across the field as fast as possible. Ron and Harry had no problem flying at high speeds, as they both had Firebolts, but six people couldn’t handle the speed and crashed. 21 people now remained, and Ron and Harry had yet to be noticed as first-years.

As luck would have it, seven people remained for each position, so Hodge divided them by position, which meant Ron and Harry would be separated for the first time. The Chasers tried out first: each took turns taking five shots on Hodge, who was standing in as Keeper, and the one with the highest percentage would go on. A fifth-year girl named Laura Townsend won with a perfect score of five out of five.

As the Keeper hopefuls mounted their broomsticks to try out, someone finally noticed Harry. “Hey, that kid’s a first-year!” someone yelled out, and everyone turned their head. Hodge walked over to Harry, towering over him. Harry stood, looking defiant, but he still shook slightly.

“Is that true?” Hodge said. “Are you a first-year?”

“Yes,” Harry said softly.

“So am I,” Ron yelled out boldly, stepping forward to stand next to Harry. “But believe me, we are ten times better than anyone here.” That statement brought many boos from the other hopefuls, but Ron kept going. “My father was the Seeker in his first year, and in six years at Hogwarts, he won three Quidditch Cups.”

“And m-my dad was Keeper for two years at Hogwarts,” Harry piped in nervously, “and he won the Cup both times.”

“Harry Potter was an exception to the rule,” Hodge said simply. “Somehow, I don’t think you can match his skills.”

“Oh, really?” Ron said. As planned, he and Harry mounted their brooms and flew high into the air. Ron pulled a small, Snitch-like ball from his pocket, and at a height of over 200 feet above the ground, he dropped it. He let it fall for a second or two before diving after it. Wind whipped through his hair as he reached out his hand for the ball, as several people below gasped as the ball (and Ron) hurtled right at them. Twenty feet from the ground, Ron put on an extra burst of speed and caught the ball, pulling out of his dive and missing Hodge’s head by mere inches.

As he had been diving, Harry had taken a position in front of the hoops. Ron chucked the small ball at the farthest hoop from Harry, but Harry nearly fell off his broom catching the ball in time. Everyone was in awe as the two made a show of Ron shooting and Harry saving shots, and after a while, they swooped back to the ground and touched down right in front of Hodge.

“Well?” Ron said, smirking. Hodge was glaring at them.

“What in blazes do you think you’re doing?” he yelled. “You risked your own safety, as well as the safety of everyone else here!” He put his hand up to his face. “I want you to leave.” Dejected, Ron and Harry began walking off the pitch.

“Not you,” Hodge said irritably. “Them.” He motioned for the remaining nineteen hopefuls, who gasped. However, after Hodge said nothing more, they left, feeling cheated, and booed once again at the two first-years. Ron and Harry felt a bit anticipant, but still nervous about what would happen. Are we getting on the team, or just getting reprimanded in private? Ron wondered, dismayed.

Just then, Professor Potter, who had been in the stands, ran out onto the pitch. “Is there a problem here, Mr. Hodge?” he asked.

“Your son and his cousin are very good, sir,” Hodge said. “I wouldn’t mind having them on their team at all.” Ron and Harry shared a glance, excited. “However, I don’t think it would be smart to break the age rule.”

“I broke that very same rule when I was a first year, Mr. Hodge,” Professor Potter remarked. “And as a professor, I have the authority to make acceptable exceptions to rules. I give you permission to have these boys on your team.” Ron and Harry whooped with joy at this news.

“Thank you, sir,” Hodge said, nodding. He turned to Ron and Harry. “I still expect you to act as though you are as old as everyone else here. You don’t get it easy.”

“Of course,” Ron replied. He was very excited to actually be on the team!

“All right, then,” Hodge said. He turned to the other four members of the team now. “Our first practice will be next Wednesday at seven,” he told them. “I expect everyone there.” With that, he walked into the locker rooms to change, and the other four followed. Ron and Harry, however, chose to walk back up to the castle with Professor Potter.

“Dad, what were you doing in the stands?” Ron asked.

Professor Potter laughed. “Do you think I wouldn’t expect my son to go through his first year without Quidditch? I knew you would try out. You’re my son. I know what you’re going to do before you do it.”

“I’m just excited to be on the team!” Harry put in, grinning from ear to ear. “I can’t wait to tell my parents!”

“Go ahead,” Professor Potter told him. “They’re in Professor McGonagall’s office discussing work.”

Harry whooped with joy and sprinted up to the castle. Ron turned to his dad after he was gone. “By the way, Dad,” Ron said, “I thought your class was really good on Wednesday. I wondered, though...aren’t you going to be mean to Marilyn Malfoy to get back at her father?”

“Ron, when I was a boy, I thought the same as you,” Professor Potter said. “However, you must realize that revenge is not the answer. Snape, on the other hand, is still sore about his debt to your late grandfather, and hates both you and I. Don’t make the same mistakes he did.”

Ron nodded slowly. “So do you get along at all?” he asked.

“Who, me and Snape?” inquired Professor Potter. “Well, he doesn’t yell at me or anything, but he isn’t exactly friendly. I think you can live with it for seven years. Just remember that revenge is not the answer.”

“Okay,” Ron said. When they reached the castle, Professor Potter headed for his classroom to prepare for class on Monday, and Ron walked up to his dormitory to put his broomstick away. He found that a Quidditch uniform had been hung from his four-poster, and he smiled when he saw it. It was finally beginning to settle in. I’m on the Gryffindor Quidditch team with Harry! He put his broom in his trunk and ran for Professor McGonagall’s office to say hi to his aunt and uncle.
The Boy That Cried "Death Eater" by PEMDAS
“Uncle Ron! Aunt Hermione!” Ron exclaimed as he rounded the corner to McGonagall’s office. His aunt and uncle were walking down the hallway with both Harry’s (both son and friend) out of McGonagall’s office. Ron rushed forward to give them both a hug.

“How’s our favorite nephew doing?” Uncle Ron said, ruffling his nephew’s hair affectionately. Aunt Hermione smiled and hugged him.

“Yeah, how’s Hogwarts?” the latter asked. “I remember my first week of Hogwarts...very busy, yet fun at the same time.”

“Yeah, because you’re too smart for schooling,” Uncle Ron teased. Aunt Hermione scoffed and pushed Uncle Ron playfully.

“It’s pretty busy, but right now I’m feeling good,” Ron said, smiling from ear to ear. “Me and Harry just made the Gryffindor Quidditch team!”

“I heard,” Uncle Ron said. “Inherited your fathers’ Quidditch skills, you two did!”

“Just don’t get into any trouble,” Aunt Hermione warned.

Please,” Harry said. “You think we could just be good little boys when our parents fought Lord Voldemort all throughout their school years? Why can’t we have any fun?” Everyone laughed at this.

Just then, Trevor Longbottom sprinted down the hallway towards them. “Hey, Trevor, how’s it go-” Ron started to say, but Trevor ran right past him.

“Can’t talk,” Trevor wheezed. “Must see Professor McGonagall...” He muttered the password as he ran, and began taking the stairs to the headmistress’s office three at a time.

“What’s gotten into him?” Harry wondered aloud. Everyone shrugged.

“Amazing, really, how much he looks like his father,” Professor Potter said. “Trevor, did you say his name was?”

Uncle Ron laughed. “And I suppose he has a toad named Neville?”

“Yes,” Ron and Harry replied together, which caused all three adults to burst out laughing.

“Well,” said Aunt Hermione, “we’d better be going. Have a good time, boys!”

“We will,” Ron and Harry said, smiling. As the five of them began walking down the hallway, an alarm went off, blaring in everyone’s ears. Doors everywhere began slamming open as screaming students ran into the hall.

McGonagall’s voice came over the intercom, speaking to the whole campus. “All students report to your common rooms immediately. All teachers report to the front gates of the grounds.”

Everyone began running towards their common rooms. “Ron, Harry,” Professor Potter told the boys, “you go to your common rooms. Let the adults handle whatever this situation is.”

“Yes, sir,” the boys replied dully, and the adults and kids separated, running for the front gates and the common rooms, respectively.

“Ron,” Harry yelled as they ran for the seventh floor, “do you think this has anything to do with what Trevor was rushing to tell McGonagall earlier?”

“Dunno,” Ron muttered. “He seemed to be in a big hurry for something...”

When they reached the common room, most of the students were at the window with Omnoculars, looking towards the front gates to see what was happening. Ron and Harry took turns borrowing someone’s pair of Omnoculars to see. “Looks like Trevor is pointing something out to the teachers,” Ron reported to everyone. “Maybe he saw something dangerous...”

“Maybe there’s a dragon out there!” a second-year yelled out, and that caused several people to scream.

“Dragons don’t live in the United Kingdom, stupid,” someone else yelled out.

“Well, we’ll find out soon,” Ron said, as he saw McGonagall send Trevor back to the castle.

“Looks like all the teachers are running down towards the forest,” said a fourth-year. “Wait...they’re firing spells!”

Everyone gasped; some in excitement, others in fright. “Looks like the teachers are the only ones firing,” Ron said. “Oh, wait...it’s over. Looks like they’re bending down to look at something...I wonder what?”

“Well, Trevor should be here soon,” Harry commented. “He’ll probably tell us.”

Sure enough, ten minutes later, Trevor walked through the portrait hole into the common room, only to be rushed by all the Gryffindors.

“What’s happening?”

“Is there a dragon?”

“Why was everyone sent to the common rooms?”

“Did someone die?”

Trevor sighed wearily. “Well,” he said, “I was looking for my toad, Neville, in the lake. Suddenly, I saw him jump out of the water and towards the front gates, so I chased after him. I finally caught up to him at the gates, and I looked up and saw...a Death Eater! In the forest!”

Several people screamed at this. “They’re coming to Hogwarts!” someone shouted.

“What’s happening down there?” someone yelled, and Ron picked up the Omnoculars again to see.

“Some of the teachers are leaving the grounds,” Ron reported, “and some of the teachers are coming back up to the school...hang on, they’re bringing someone up to the castle!” Everyone crowded back to the window again, gasping. Sure enough, several teachers were coming back up to the castle. Flitwick was Levitating the person to the castle, and several other teachers, obviously knowing that students would be watching their every move through the common room windows, hid the person from view by walking in a ring around the body.

“Did they kill the person?” someone wondered aloud.

“Probably not,” Ron commented. “They probably just Stupefied them or something so they could be interrogated.”

After all the teachers had returned to the castle twenty minutes later, everyone sat anxiously, awaiting news from a teacher. Finally, over an hour after the alarms had been set off, Professor Potter (who, by the way, was the new head of Gryffindor house) walked into the common room, and everyone fell silent.

“Most of you have probably heard that Mr. Longbottom here saw a Death Eater today,” Professor Potter said. “I should tell you...this is not true.”

Everyone, especially Trevor, looked confused at this. “Trevor, the person you saw was a student dressed as a Death Eater, for whatever reason. The student has been suspended for two weeks for impersonating a Dark wizard and leaving school grounds. That is all...you may now return to your activities throughout the grounds.” With that, Professor Potter exited the common room.

Everyone began chattering excitedly in relief. “I wonder who the person was?” Harry asked Ron.

“I’d bet anything it was Marilyn,” Ron replied. “What she was doing in a Death Eater costume, though?”

“You don’t think she was...well, you know...meeting with other Death Eaters, do you?” Harry asked, a little nervous.

Ron started to say it couldn’t be true, but then again, couldn’t it? After all, her father was a Death Eater, and she did seem to know a lot about what was going on everywhere.... “I dunno,” Ron had to say. It was true; he didn’t know what was going on, for once. “That might explain why some of the teachers left the grounds. Maybe they were looking for more Death Eaters!”

“I hope not,” Harry said. “I’d rather go through Hogwarts knowing the grounds are safe, thank you very much.”

Ron nodded thoughtfully. “Well, there’s only one way to find out what’s going on,” he said slowly.

“What’s that?” asked Harry, a little suspicious.

Ron leaned in close to Harry’s face. “We interrogate Marilyn.”

“Are you crazy?!” Harry exclaimed. “We’ll never get anything out of her...not unless you’re planning on using Polyjuice Potion or something crazy like that!”

“Nope,” Ron said. “I’ve got a better idea. And it’s practically foolproof...”

***

Author’s Note: What do you think is going on? Send in your theories in a review! Thanks for reading!
The Interrogation by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I have decided to post Ch. 9, even though no further chapters have been written, but this should at least keep you entertained for a bit while I write more...enjoy!



Ron was sure his plan would work, but he would have to wait a while to try it out. He needed to spend some time fine-tuning it, as it would be very risky. However, in the meantime, he decided to do some investigation on the matter. After their second DADA lesson the following week, Ron walked up to his father’s desk. “Dad,” he said, “can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure,” Professor Potter said, straightening a stack of papers with his wand. “What’s the problem, Ron?”

“Well,” he said tentatively, “I was wondering...about the Death Eater scare last week...”

Professor Potter held up a hand. “If you’re going to ask me who the student was, I can’t tell you. It’s confidential, and only to be spoken of among staff members.”

Ron was expecting this, and he didn’t give up. “But was it a Slytherin?” he asked. “It had to have been; all Death Eaters were in Slytherin...”

“Ron,” Professor Potter, “that’s...”

“It was Marilyn Malfoy, wasn’t it?” Ron said, leaning forward expectantly. Professor Potter’s face gave no visible expression of interest at the name.

“Ron, for the last time, I can’t tell you,” the professor said firmly. “Whether it is or isn’t a Slytherin...or Ms. Malfoy...is none of your concern. Why do you want to know so badly?”

“Curiosity?” Ron offered.

Professor Potter shook his head, smiling sadly. “Knowing you, Ron,” he said, ruffling his son’s hair, “that’s not the only reason. I advise you be careful in the future about what you do here. I’ll admit I wasn’t the best role model for rule-following in my time at Hogwarts, but this is a dangerous situation.”

“So was the Chamber of Secrets situation,” Ron pointed out, “but you still snuck out after hours.”

Professor Potter sighed. “Go, Ron,” he said dismissively. “You don’t want to be late for Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall is not in a good mood today; she’s been meeting with Ministry officials for the past few days about the incident on Saturday.” And with that, Professor Potter got up and retreated to his office.

Minutes later, Ron and Harry were hurrying to their Transfiguration lesson. “It had to have been Marilyn,” Ron said confidently. “Why else would my dad not have said anything? If it wasn’t her, he would’ve said no right away!”

“So why are you still going to try and interrogate Marilyn again?” Harry asked. “I mean, we know it was her; so what?”

“We aren’t interrogating her about her dressing up as a Death Eater, Harry,” Ron replied. “We’re interrogating her about meeting with other Death Eaters in the forest. We could find out where they are hiding!”

“But what could we do about it?” Ron said. “I mean, if we told a teacher, they know we did something illegal to get it out of Marilyn, and we’ll get in big trouble!”

“Maybe not,” Ron mumbled, as they rushed into the Transfiguration classroom seconds before the bell rang. He was still fine-tuning that part of the plan, as well, but he had a pretty good idea of how to get out of that one.

During Transfiguration, Ron brainstormed parts of his plan. It would require a certain object from the Potions cabinet, which Snape most likely guarded closely since the Polyjuice Potion incident in his dad’s second year. However, he thought he knew a way around that, as well...he and Ron had double Potions in the afternoon, and either he or Harry would create a diversion for a few minutes to try and get the item they needed. After the lesson, they had lunch, and Ron and Harry talked quietly about the plan.

“I’ll create the diversion,” Ron told Harry, “and you raid Snape’s cabinets. A simple ‘Alohamora’ should open the lock, but be sure to close it with ‘Colloportus’ when you’re done.”

“Right,” Harry replied nervously. “What if I get caught?”

“If my diversion works,” Ron replied, “you should have plenty of time to do it without getting in trouble.”

At the end of lunch period, Ron and Harry joined the rest of the class, most of them Slytherins, waiting to enter the dungeon classroom. Finally, Snape opened the door, and students began filing into the room. Ron winked at Harry, and walked casually towards one of the Slytherins, a tall, burly boy named Varsely, and tapped him on the shoulder. “Hey, Varsely,” he muttered, “get out of my way.”

“Back off, Potter,” Varsely snarled. He took a step forward and tripped on Ron’s outstretched foot, doing a face plant on the concrete ground. A bit of blood dripped from Varsely’s nose as he got up and faced Ron, who watched him nonchalantly. “You’ll pay for that one, you stupid Gryffindor,” he said.

He raised his wand, but was immediately blasted by a spell from Ron’s own wand. Everyone turned to look as Varsely began sprouting feathers, just as Trevor had in their first Potions lesson. Ron quickly pocketed his wand as everyone crowded around them, laughing. Harry took the hint and, when Snape came back out of the classroom to see what the commotion was, he slipped silently into the room, headed for Snape’s private cabinets.

“What is going on here?” Snape demanded, watching as Varsely turned into a giant chicken. “Who did this?”

“He did it to himself, Professor,” Ron spoke up. Everyone turned to look at him, including Varsely. “He tried to cast the spell on me, but I blocked it, and it rebounded on him, sir.”

Varsely opened his mouth (beak?) to retort, but the only thing that came out was a squawk. Everyone laughed, but stopped short when they saw Snape’s icy glare.

“And what,” Snape demanded, staring Ron down, “would prompt him to try to do such a thing?”

“He “ he tripped over my foot, Professor,” Ron said, “but it was an accident. He thought I did it on purpose.”

Snape saw right through the lie. “Ten points from Gryffindor for tripping another student,” he said, drawing angry looks to Ron from other Gryffindors, “and another five for lying to me.”

Ron didn’t reply. He wouldn’t risk any more points by arguing. Waving his wand, Snape returned Varsely to his original body, and Ron, suddenly frightened that he would tell Snape the truth, saw that Varsely had decided that 15 points from Gryffindor was sufficient punishment, and breathed a sigh of relief. Just before everyone returned into the room, Harry slipped back out of the room quietly, joining Ron.

“Did you get it?” Ron asked in a hushed voice. Harry grinned, and pulled a small vial filled with clear liquid from his pocket, returning it to the pocket after Ron had seen it.

“Excellent,” Ron said, grinning.

***

At dinner that night, Ron and Harry carried out the second part of their plan. They knew that, if Marilyn was the one that dressed up as the Death Eater, and if she was suspended for doing so, she was still sure to attend meals, and sure enough, she was sitting at the Slytherin table when they entered the Great Hall, chatting quietly with a few people.

Regrettably, Ron and Harry had no classes with Marilyn that day, so they didn’t know for sure if she’d been suspended. They weren’t about to ask her, either.

Yet.

Instead of walking directly to the Gryffindor table as usual, Ron and Harry walked over to the Slytherin table, to Marilyn. “Hello, Marilyn,” Ron said as he stepped behind the blonde Slytherin. Marilyn turned to look at him and Harry, glaring when she saw who it was. “If it isn’t Potter and Weasley,” she sneered. “What seems to be the problem?”

“Well,” Ron said, leaning in closer to Marilyn, “we happen to know that a certain number of people broke out of Azkaban last week...”

“The whole wizarding world knows that, stupid,” Marilyn spat out.

“...and your father was among them,” Ron finished, not batting an eye at her outburst. “Now, normally, I don’t blame a girl for wanting to see her father once in a while, but isn’t dressing up like him and sneaking out to see him is a bit much?”

Marilyn smirked. “You think I was the one in the Death Eater costume, then?” she asked.

“Yes, I do,” Ron replied.

Marilyn put her face right up to Ron’s. “Then why don’t you prove it?” she challenged. When Ron didn’t reply, Marilyn sniffed and returned to her meal. Satisfied, Ron and Harry walked over to the Gryffindor table.

“Did you put it in?” Ron whispered. Harry showed him the empty vial.

“Every last drop,” Harry replied. He had poured the potion into Marilyn’s pumpkin juice when she wasn’t looking.

Now the only thing left to do was wait for dinner to end. Finally, after an hour of sitting and eating little, and watching Marilyn sip away at her goblet, Ron and Harry got up to leave. They waited outside the Great Hall until Marilyn left, headed for the Slytherin common room in the dungeons. They quietly followed after her.

When Marilyn was alone, they acted. Ron cast a Silencing spell on Marilyn, and Harry grabbed her and pinned her to the wall. Marilyn looked shocked. “Not a word,” Ron muttered, and released the Silencing spell from Marilyn.

“What do you want?” Marilyn asked, a touch of fear in her voice.

“Were you the one who dressed up as a Death Eater last Saturday?” Ron demanded.

For a moment, Marilyn was silent, and the two boys were sure they had her beat. “No,” she replied, and the boys started; how could she lie? After all, she had drank the potion...

Ron cleared his throat, heat rising up his neck. “Did-did you meet with other Death Eaters off-campus on Saturday?” he asked.

“No,” Marilyn replied.

“Were you off grounds at all last Saturday?” Harry asked tentatively.

“No!” Marilyn told them. The boys were in shock. They released Marilyn from the wall, letting her stagger off to the common room, coughing.

“It-it wasn’t her?” Harry asked, looking at Ron for help. He, too, was at a loss.

“I guess not,” Ron murmured. “She couldn’t have possibly lied. It must’ve been someone else.”




Author’s Note: Most of you have guessed that the potion they stole was Veritaserum, and you were right. Marilyn couldn’t possibly have lied, could she? She drank the potion, didn’t she? All these questions and more will be answered soon...oh, and Ch. 10 may take a while to get validated, but not to worry...it won’t take too long, I hope! Thanks for reading, and please review!
The Secret Office of Severus Snape by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Wondering what the chapter title could mean? Read and find out when validated...


For the next few days, Ron and Harry tried to think of every possibility that Marilyn could have lied, but it was impossible...she had drank the Veritaserum; there was no way around the potion without a strong antidote, which they were certain Marilyn had none of...they finally had to drop the idea that it was Marilyn on the grounds.

But who else could it be? Ron was almost certain it was a Slytherin, because who else would dress up as a Death Eater? He decided to research some names of Slytherins, and see if there were any suspicious names, such as last names of former Death Eaters.

The easiest way to do so was to break into Snape’s office and steal the records of all the Slytherins at Hogwarts, which the Heads of Houses kept in private places. Although it was the easiest way, it still proved to be very difficult. Ron had heard that Snape kept all his private things in a hidden area of his office, but thus far, Ron and Harry had been able to dupe Snape to steal things, but they were still somewhat frightened of him.

Fortunately, another thing Ron had managed to sneak off to Hogwarts was the Marauder’s Map. From what he’d heard, the Map had an interesting history: first owned by his grandpa and his friends, then confiscated by Filch, then stolen by Uncles Fred and George, then handed down to Ron’s dad, and Ron “borrowed” it from his dad’s office. The Map would come in handy when attempting to take anything from Snape’s private office, and Ron would be sure to use it for precautions.

The only time to attempt such a raid would be in the dead of night. It would take far longer than simply opening a cupboard and taken out a potion, and Ron doubted they could distract Snape that long. All it would take is about an hour alone in Snape’s office under the Invisibility Cloak, and the Marauder’s Map to tell if anyone was coming. The perfect time would be the coming Friday night, when everyone was most tired and willing to go to bed sooner after a long week.

On Friday, after everyone in Gryffindor Tower had retreated to bed, Ron and Harry remained in the common room and pulled out the Invisibility Cloak and Marauder’s Map. Ron pulled out his wand and pointed it at the latter. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good,” he muttered, and the Map came to life. Ron and Harry were amazed at all the detail on the map, and pored over it for a few minutes before getting back to business.

“No one on the seventh floor,” Harry said, pointing to the map. “Oh, except for the Bloody Baron...he’s just wandering around, though...”

“Let’s go,” Ron said, throwing the Cloak over both of them. They pushed open the portrait of the Fat Lady, who was dozing quietly, and began walking down to the dungeons.

Numerous times they had to take detours to avoid ghosts or teachers, but twice they had no choice. The first time they came across Peeves, who was writing a particular nasty word on the wall and laughing. With a wink to Harry, Ron pulled out his wand and muttered, “Reducto!” A vase right next to Peeves shattered, and the poltergeist went mad trying to find the source of the explosion, and Ron and Harry slipped out of the corridor. The second time, they met Professor Trelawney, who was pacing the corridors with a pack of cards, often bursting out in sobs at what she saw. “Does she ever predict anything pleasant?” Harry whispered to Ron, who shrugged.

Finally, down in the dungeons, they saw that no one was around, so they snuck into Snape’s classroom, and to the back corner, where the door to Snape’s office was. “Alohamora,” Ron said, pointing his wand at the lock, and it clicked open. It seemed so simple...

“Wait,” Ron said, stopping Harry before he could walk into the room. “Specialis Revelio!” Just as Ron suspected, Snape’s office was rigged with traps to keep out intruders...laser trippers, Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors...it was unsafe to do enter the room yet.

But with a few well-placed spells, Ron Silenced the Sneakoscope, blocked the area in front of the Sensors, and Stupefied a control box that turned off the lasers. Ron and Harry walked into the office cautiously, looking around for anything suspicious. Harry searched in cabinets and files, while Ron searched the walls for any crevices or holes that could give away a hidden door or cabinet. Suddenly, he spotted a tiny metal ring in the concrete walls, and motioned Harry over.

“What d’you reckon?” Harry said, examining the ring.

“Dunno,” Ron said. He pulled out his wand and tried various spells, but none seemed to work. Frustrated, he turned to Harry.

“You know, maybe it’s not that complicated,” Harry said. “Maybe it’s as easy as just...” He grasped the edge of the ring and pulled, and a secret cabinet pulled out. Ron felt very stupid, while Harry was very pleased with himself.

“What do you know?” Harry said coolly, grinning.

“Yeah, yeah,” Ron said irritably, peering into the cabinet. It contained several files of interest, including detention records, personal letters/memos, and, in the very back, the item Ron was looking for: the records of all the Slytherins at Hogwarts. He pulled out the thick pile of papers, stuck together by a simple Sticking Charm in the corner.

“Well, what do we do now?” Harry asked. “Don’t you think he’ll notice it’s gone if we take it?”

“Who said we’re going to take it?” Ron said, smirking. He pointed his wand at the pile of documents and muttered a small charm. Every wave of his wand, and a sheet of the pile of documents copied itself, so within a minute, Ron had a set of the documents all for himself. He returned the original to Snape’s cabinet and closed it. Harry was awestruck and impressed.

“Now, let’s get out of he-” Ron stopped short; he heard a distinct thud in the distance. “Harry, get the Map!” he hissed. Harry had left the Map on the desk while he was searching, and he returned to fetch it.

“Oh, no,” Harry moaned, scanning the map. “It’s Snape. And he’s coming.”

“Quick, hide everything!” Ron said, and they went to work: he pushed the cabinet back into the wall, flattening the ring back into the groove in the wall. They exited the office, and Harry un-Stupefied the control box, and the laser trippers came back to life, and Ron closed the door. Behind them, he heard footsteps, approaching fast, and without turning around to see, he threw the Invisibility Cloak over himself and Harry, signaling for Harry to silently shuffle to their left.

Seconds later, Snape strode into the room, his narrowed eyes scanning the room. Does he know someone was here? Ron wondered, and he felt Harry quaking with fear. Snape strolled across the room to his office, opening the door and walking into it, his billowing cloak trailing behind him.

Let’s get out of here,” Ron whispered, and he and Harry walked from the room. Once they were out of the dungeons, they scanned the Map for an open stairwell, then shed the Cloak and ran for it, making a dash for the seventh floor along a hidden stairway. Finally, they arrived, and gave the angry Fat Lady the password, and entered the common room.

“Thank goodness that’s over,” Ron said aloud as they entered, then Harry gasped: Professor Potter was standing before them, face unreadable. Ron’s stomach dropped, and an icy cold feeling crept up his back.

“Well, well,” Professor Potter said, as though amused by the sight of his son and nephew sneaking into the common room at midnight, “what brings you boys here so late?”

“H-hi, dad,” Ron stuttered nervously. Harry said nothing, but stared at the floor.

“Imagine my surprise when I came up here to commend you for following the rules and staying in the dormitories, but find two empty beds. Care to explain?”

“Er...” Ron tried to think of an excuse, but nothing came to mind.

“Detention, boys,” said Professor Potter, “both of you. My office, Sunday night, eight ‘o clock sharp. Oh, and I’ll be taking that.”

Professor Potter took the Cloak from Harry’s hands, and Ron’s stomach dropped when Professor Potter turned to him. “The Map, as well, Ron.” Ron sighed and pulled out the Map, muttering “Mischief managed” as he handed it over to his father, who put it in the inside pocket of his robes.

“Good night, Ron, Harry,” Professor Potter said briskly. “I trust you can find your beds?” With that, he turned and strode from the common room without another word.

This was even worse than yelling. The silent, almost amused reprimanding hurt Ron even more than any amount of shouting could’ve done. And as Ron and Harry walked up to the dormitories to sleep, they both knew their exploring days in Hogwarts were over.



Author’s Note: Well, I hope you enjoyed that chapter...I’ll post Ch. 11 as soon as it’s done being written. Thanks for reading...please, PLEASE review! All reviews will be answered! Thanks!
Documents, Detention, and Deceit by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Ch. 11 at last! What will Ron and Harry do with the Slytherins' files? And what can they do without the Marauder's Map or the Invisibility Cloak? Find out...


Ron and Harry did not open the files of the Slytherins that night. They decided to sleep right away, not daring to defy Professor Potter any longer. They had all day Saturday to do so, and additionally, they were very tired. They climbed straight into their four-posters, falling into a deep sleep.

The next morning, they awoke late, and everyone had already gone to breakfast. Ron and Harry decided to skip breakfast and go over the Slytherins’ files, and they got onto Ron’s four-poster, closed the curtains, and opened the file at last.

It was soon obvious why the file was confidential. It contained just about every bit of information on the person: body information (height and weight), wand information, background information...and they also served as a kind of criminal record for their Hogwarts life, detailing every detention they’d served, and (this part impressed both Ron and Harry) a special ticker-type thing that records the House points they’d earned and gained throughout the year, and changed magically every time they gained or lost more.

Several named stood out for Ron and Harry. Among the first-years were the most recognizable names; Malfoy (obviously), Nott, Avery, Macnair, and Lestrange. There were also two fourth-years (another Nott and another Avery), a sixth-year (Dolohov), and three seventh-years (a third Nott and two Lestrange twins). Harry wrote down the names on a separate piece of paper, then they examined the sheets more closely for information.

Most unfortunately, none of the names had any criminal records relating to the incident off-grounds last Saturday, and Harry and Ron figured that it had yet to be updated to the records, which was regrettable...but they were sure it had to be one of these eleven, because no one else would surely dress up as a Death Eater...? But what they did find was what they’d expected from these kids.

“Look at this!” Harry said, pointing to Andy Dolohov’s record. In his fifth year, he attempted to smuggle a cursed skull into the school. Two years prior to that, a teacher confiscated a list from him of Muggle-borns in the school, apparently a hit list for people to curse.

The seventh-year Lestrange twins, Janice and Josephine, were not as troublemaking. The only offenses between them was staying out an hour past curfew in their third year and cheeking Professor McGonagall in their fifth year. The same went for the fourth-year Nott, Kevin, who had only been in trouble once, for making a second-year do his homework a few days ago.

“Does this mean we take them off the suspect list?” Harry asked, concerning the three non-troublemakers.

“Nope,” Ron told him. “In fact, these could be prime suspects, as they could just be doing all this bad stuff without getting caught. That makes them extra dangerous.”

“Oh, right,” Harry said, and they went back to scanning the records.

After about another hour, after determining the Slytherins that could possibly have been communicating with Death Eaters and writing them down, Ron and Harry closed the packet of papers. Ron put the papers in his bag, and Harry said, “Now what do we do with these names?”

“We need to figure out a way to interrogate all of them,” Ron said, thinking hard. “And we can’t use Veritaserum this time; there’s too many of them...Snape would notice it’s gone.”

“Polyjuice Potion?” Harry suggested.

“Nah, too risky, and we don’t have a brainiac girl to help us...” Ron said, thinking.

“Well, the only thing left to do is ask your dad,” Harry said, sighing, and Ron rounded on him.

Are you crazy?!” Ron exclaimed. “He doesn’t want us involved in this, remember?”

“But we can at least ask!” Harry protested. “It can’t hurt!”

Ron groaned. “Fine,” he said. “But I don’t see what good it’ll do.”

***

They found Professor Potter in his office, grading tests. “Dad?” Ron said tentatively, and Professor Potter looked up, smiling.

“Ah, Ron, Harry!” he said, beaming. “What brings you here?”

“Just wanted to visit our favorite professor!” Harry said, smiling back. Professor Potter’s smile faded slightly.

“All right, what do you want?” Professor Potter said, still smiling slightly. Ron’s stomach lurched.

“We were wondering...” Ron said slowly, “about that incident by the lake last week...”

Professor Potter shook his head. “Boys, boys,” he said, “I’ve told you before, that information is private.”

“But...” Harry stuttered.

“We think that someone was communicating with Death Eaters!” Ron burst out. Professor Potter turned to look at him.

“Ron, I...” Professor Potter began, but Ron kept going.

“Dad, I think the son or daughter of a Death Eater might be meeting with their mother or father in the forest,” Ron said, “and they...”

Professor Potter raised his hand for silence. “Ron, the staff has considered that possibility,” he said, “and we searched the forest, but there’s no Death Eaters in the forest. Trust me.”

“But...maybe you didn’t look hard enough!” Harry exclaimed.

“We did a magical scan of the forest,” Professor Potter said. “It would have identified any Dark magic residing in the forest. We found none.”

Ron realized his father was probably more informed than he was, but he pressed on, not willing to give up. “Dad, any one of the sons and daughters of Death Eaters in Slytherin could’ve done it...and you know who it is...”

Professor Potter turned sharply to look at Ron. “What do you know about the students in Slytherin?” he asked suddenly.

Ron’s heart skipped a beat. “Um...” he said. “We just heard some names...from other students...”

Professor Potter said, “Ron, give me your bag. Accio.” Ron’s bag flew from his hands before he could protest. Professor Potter riffled through it and pulled out the Slytherin student records and looked positively alarmed. “How did you get this?” he asked, and Ron couldn’t bring himself to say that they’d broken into Snape’s office. He instead looked back into his father’s green eyes, feeling guilty.

“Fifty points from Gryffindor for stealing from a professor,” Professor Potter said, “and another night of detention for both of you.”

“Dad...” Ron lied, “Harry didn’t have anything to do with it.”

“Another twenty points for lying to me,” Professor Potter said coldly. “Please leave my office.”

“But-”

“NOW!”

Ron stormed out of the office, fuming, and Harry nervously ran after him. Once the door had closed behind them, Ron began ranting. “I HATE my dad!” he yelled. “Taking points from his own House...who does he think he is?”

“He had good reason...” Harry started, but Ron cut him off.

“Like he never did anything bad while HE was at Hogwarts!” Ron spat angrily. “He’s such a hypocrite. ‘Be a good boy and don’t get in trouble, even though I was a troublemaker in school’. He’s just like Sirius was to him...”

These words seemed to strike home to Ron and Harry both. “So THAT’S why he’s doing that,” Harry said thoughtfully. “He wants to remember Sirius.”

“Well, even so,” Ron said, still angry, but not furious as before. For the time being, though, he needed to channel that energy he was using to be angry into something productive, like finding out which Slytherin was sneaking into the forest. In fact, a plan was already formulating in his mind...

***

“Ron, are you crazy?!” Harry exclaimed. They were at lunch, and Ron was explaining his idea to Harry. “The Veritaserum was one thing, but that’ll never work!”

“It can, and it will,” Ron insisted. “Trust me. All we need is a little time. And maybe a little luck.”

“A little?” Harry said. “It’ll take a miracle!”

“Don’t worry, Harry,” Ron said. “My dad’s not exactly all-knowing; he failed Divination, remember? There’s no way he can catch us!”

“But even still...right under his nose...”

“Trust me,” Ron said. “This is going to work. Here’s what we need to do...”

***

The first detention with Professor Potter was set for the next evening, in the professor’s office. Harry and Ron knocked on the door at seven ’o clock sharp, apprehensive for what they were about to do. Professor Potter opened the door, looking grim and tired, but still smiled slightly when he saw them. “Hello, boys,” he said. “Now, this should be quick and painless, if you cooperate.”

Professor Potter went on to describe their task, which was to clean his office...“every nook and cranny”. This made Ron nervous, because it was almost like his father was challenging him to search for the Cloak and Map. “...so you understand?” Professor Potter asked. The boys nodded, and Professor Potter nodded, walking around his desk and sitting behind it.

As he worked, Ron and Harry cleaned slowly, wishing they had their wands. Suddenly, after about twenty minutes of silence, Professor McGonagall burst in. “Harry,” she said, referring to the professor, “we have a situation on the fifth floor. Apparently Peeves pushed a student down the stairs, and they got stuck upside-down in the trick step. We can’t seem to free her.”

“All right, I’m coming,” Professor Potter said, sighing and standing up. He crossed the room to the doorway, giving his son and nephew a meaningful look before following McGonagall out of his office.

As soon as the door closed, the boys ran over to the desk, searching through cabinets. “It’s got to be here somewhere...” Ron muttered, shoving papers aside and nearly pulling out the cabinets from the desk. Suddenly, Harry found it. “Here!” he said, holding out the object to show Ron.

“Good,” Ron said, taking it from him. Obviously it wouldn’t fit in his pocket, so Ron walked over to the window and dropped it into the bushes three stories below. He would have to retrieve it after detention. After closing the window again, they fixed the cabinets and began cleaning again. A minute later, Professor Potter walked back in, muttering. “Stupid poltergeist...should have him removed from the school; really...” He looked up, eyeing Ron and Harry suspiciously, obviously suspecting something.

“That will be all, boys,” Professor Potter said. They had only been working for a half-hour, but Ron and Harry weren’t complaining. After submitting to a search with a Secrecy Sensor, Professor Potter let them go. After the boys had left the office, they heard the office door close behind them. Obviously, Professor Potter was going to search and see whether they’d taken the Cloak or the Map.

He would, of course, find both of them, still well-hidden where he’d left them in a floor panel beneath a rug. However, he had no reason to suspect a small object was missing from a back corner of his desk, which Ron and Harry were now sprinting down to the grounds, intent on reaching the object they’d left in the bushes...

***

Author’s Note: What do you think this object they stole was? What could they have taken that could possibly help them, and Professor Potter wouldn’t suspect them of taking? You’ll have to find out in Chapter 12, coming soon...thanks for reading! Please review!
Death Eaters and Glasses and Quidditch - Oh My! by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
What do you think this chapter could be about? Death Eaters attacking the Quidditch pitch and stealing glasses? Glasses vs. Death Eaters in a Quidditch match? You'll have to wait until validation to find out...


As soon as they got outside, Ron and Harry began combing through the bushes beneath Professor Potter’s office, looking for the object they’d dropped. Finally, Harry found it. “Over here!” he called to Ron, and the latter ran over to take the object from him...it was a pair of glasses.

But not just any glasses. A few years ago, after the death of Alastor Moody, Harry Potter did some research on his magical eye, and invented glasses that work in the same way. They could see through just about anything, just as Moody’s magical eye. Unfortunately, the new glasses impaired Harry’s sight, so he couldn’t wear them regularly, and he kept the glasses nearby, but never used them. As Ron had predicted, his father rarely thought about it.

“So why do we have to wait until Hogsmeade weekend again?” Harry asked Ron.

“C’mon, Harry, stay with it,” Ron said, sighing. “Whoever left the grounds would never try anything until then, since everyone is watching him or her since the incident that Saturday. Hogsmeade would be the simplest way for them to slip away.”

“Oh, gotcha,” Harry said, nodding. With that, they walked back up to the dormitories, so Ron could stow the glasses safely in his trunk.

Over the following week, Harry and Ron found themselves too busy to think about much else. In addition to homework from their teachers, the first Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor vs. Slytherin, was this coming Saturday, and Hodge was making the Gryffindor practice hard, once a day. Harry and Ron didn’t complain, as they wanted to hold their position on the team, although they found it difficult to keep up with the other teammates. That’s probably why they don’t usually let first-years on the team, Ron found himself thinking.

The morning of the Quidditch match, Ron and Harry felt very queasy, and were unable to eat much at breakfast. Harry actually ate a plate of scrambled eggs, and then rushed to the bathroom to throw up. Ron lost his appetite after that...not that he’d had much of an appetite before that.

In the locker room, Hodge gave the team a pep-talk before the game. “All right, the Slytherin team isn’t very good this year. Their Keeper is pretty decent, but he’s about the only defense they’ve got, as their beaters are two boneheads, as usual. Their Seeker is all right, and their Chasers are mediocre, so we should have easy-going.”

“As long as we all pull our own weight, right?” one of the Chasers said, glancing at Ron and Harry as he said this.

“Worry about yourself, Johnson,” Hodge said coldly. “We are all capable of doing our own part.” That made the Chaser quiet.

Hodge then showed them the plays they’d be practicing (mostly for the other Chasers, but partly for everyone else as well), and before long, Madam Hooch walked in, informing them that the match was about to begin. Everyone walked onto the pitch, and Ron and Harry looked around, blinking in the sun, amazed: the huge pitch was packed with students, all cheering and dressed to support either Gryffindor or Slytherin. Ron heard Harry moan next to him, and Ron also felt a bit nervous as he mounted his Firebolt.

After the captains shook hands, everyone flew up into the air. Both teams formed a semicircle around the center of the pitch, and Ron got his first look at Slytherin’s Seeker...a burly boy, probably in his fifth or sixth year, Ron thought. Something about him seemed familiar (and the rest of the Slytherin team), but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

The commentator for the match, Wesley Jordan (Ron and Harry smirked at each other), boomed into the microphone, “Welcome to the first match of the season!” Everyone cheered wildly. “For Gryffindor, Captain Hodge, Townsend, Johnson, Smith, Edwards, Weasley, and Potter! For Slytherin, Captain Nott, Macnair, Larson, Lestrange, Lestrange, Avery, and Dolohov!”

Ron started...six of the seven players on the team were the children of Death Eaters! The only player that wasn’t was a Chaser named Larson, a third-year that looked rather timid. Ron presumed he was a new find. The other Seeker must be Dolohov...Ron nervously eyed the other boy, who looked as though he could snap Ron in half if he wanted.

Before he could think much on it, Madam Hooch stepped into the center of the ring of players. She threw the Quaffle into the air, and the game began.

“And it’s Hodge with the Quaffle!” Wesley said excitedly. “He passes to Johnson “ Townsend “ back to Johnson “ Hodge “ to Townsend, ooh, that’s gotta hurt...”

A well-placed Bludger had hit Townsend directly in the chest, knocking her off her broom. Johnson caught her from underneath, but the lost time caused them to lose possession of the Quaffle.

As Ron watched a Slytherin Chaser speed towards Harry at the other end of the pitch, Ron realized he was supposed to be watching for the Snitch. However, he couldn’t help but watch out of the corner of his eye as his cousin’s skills were tested for the first time. He listened to Wesley’s commentary as well as he scanned the pitch for any sign of something gold.

“...and it’s Nott with the Quaffle, he flips it back to Larson, wow! a behind-the-back pass to Macnair, he shoots...oh, a brilliant save by Weasley!”

Ron whooped as he watched Harry catch the Quaffle by the tips of his fingers, saving Gryffindor from a ten-point deficit. Harry had to admire, however, that the Slytherin playbook was much more advanced that their own. He hoped that Harry would be able to hold his own against them.

Suddenly, he was snapped out of his thoughts as he saw Dolohov dive sharply downward. Ron didn’t see the Snitch, but he sped after him, terrified that he would lose the game for them.

Seconds before they reached the grassy turf, Dolohov pulled up. Ron, realizing it was a trick, pulled his broom sharply upwards. If he’d had any other type of broom, he would have crashed, but Ron’s Firebolt was able to pull out of the dive in time, inches from the ground.

“A near-miss by Potter!” Wesley shouted. “Amazing display of the Wronski Feint by Dolohov! Tough luck, Slytherin! You can’t beat a Firebolt!”

Gritting his teeth, and heart pounding from that narrow escape from a visit to the Hospital Wing, Ron returned to hover above the pitch, continuing his search for the Snitch. After another fifteen minutes of play, the score was 40 to nothing, Gryffindor lead. Harry was putting on a show for the Gryffindor fans in the stands, saving goal after goal. Ron wasn’t sure how many plays the Slytherin Chasers had in their playbook, but surely they were running out. After one spectacular play, in which Nott faked a shot and let the Quaffle roll off his shoulder into the hands of Larson, Ron was sure he had seen more incredible plays than in any highlight reel of a professional Quidditch league.

Fortunately, the plays were wearing the Slytherin team out. As the captain, Nott, passed by Ron after one play, Ron saw that he was breathing hard from the effort, sweat dripping off his face like a fountain. Suddenly, Ron saw it: the Snitch, hovering above the left goal post at the Gryffindor end.

It was almost too easy...Dolohov was out of sight, and Ron was speeding towards the Snitch, which seemed not to have noticed it was in danger yet. When he was five seconds away from the Snitch, Ron spotted Dolohov, diving towards the Snitch. It looked as though they were going to collide. Instinct took over, and Ron flattened himself to the broom. He shot underneath Dolohov, who missed him by less than an inch, and grabbed the Snitch, pulling up as Dolohov, traveling too fast to pull up, crashed into the ground.

Everyone but the Slytherins cheered as Ron proudly flew a victory lap around the pitch, displaying the Snitch for all to see. When he landed, the other Gryffindors piled onto him, hugging him and patting him on the back. Ron was ecstatic. We won! he thought. He had never been so happy.

Unfortunately, the feeling wouldn’t last.

***

Back in the locker room, Ron and Harry met with Professor Potter, who was waiting with Ron’s mother. Ron ran up to hug his mum, who laughed.

“Great game, Ron,” Ginny Potter said. “You too, Harry. You’re both incredible.”

“I’ve never seen such moves by Chasers still in school!” Professor Potter said, referring to the Slytherins.

“What are you doing here?” Ron asked.

“I thought I’d come see my son in action,” his mother replied. “Why, do you not want me here?”

“No, not at all...just a bit surprised,” Ron said, grinning. Just then, the locker room door opened again, and McGonagall burst in.

“Harry,” she said sternly, looking at Professor Potter, “we have an emergency situation.”

“What is it?” Professor Potter asked, frowning. McGonagall walked over to him, whispered in his ear, and drew back. Professor Potter’s eyes grew wide.

“No,” he said quietly, and they both rushed out of the locker room. Confused, Ron, Harry, and Mrs. Potter returned to the pitch, where the other Quidditch players were listening to Professor Flitwick, who had taken the microphone from Wesley.

“...everyone is to stay in the pitch. No one leaves,” the short professor was saying. Everyone was muttering quietly, nervous. What is going on? Ron wondered. He wasn’t about to sit there and find out. When everyone was looking the other way, including Harry, he slipped back into the locker room and grabbed his Firebolt. He took the other exit flying out onto the grounds. He saw McGonagall and his father running into the forest, and he followed them, flying just above the tree level.

The two professors joined a few other professors, who were huddled over a figure that was lying on the ground. Ron realized with a jolt that the person was wearing a Death Eater mask, but this was no student...this was a real Death Eater. Carefully and quietly, Ron got off his Firebolt and sat on a tree branch, leaning down for a closer look, out of sight.

“I got him with a Stunner,” Professor Vector said matter-of-factly. “I don’t know how long it’ll last, though.” When he heard this, Professor Potter drew his own wand and bound him with ropes. Just then, the Death Eater awoke, struggling and squirming. Professor Potter removed his mask, and Ron saw a man, probably in his late thirties, growling and snarling at the professors.

“You won’t take me,” he spat.

“You’re already taken, Dolohov,” Professor Potter said sharply, and Ron realized this must be the father of the boy he’d been playing. He felt a twang of sympathy for the boy; first he lost a Quidditch match, then he would find out his father was captured.

“I will send a message to the Ministry,” McGonagall said, and she rushed back towards the castle. Meanwhile, Professor Potter cast a spell on Dolohov that caused him to fall into a deep sleep, and he levitated the Death Eater into the air, as the professors walked back out of the castle, Dolohov floating in front of them.

“How did you spot him, Pamona?” Professor Potter asked, and realized he was talking to Professor Sprout.

“I was at the match,” Sprout said, “and I saw a student leaving the pitch. A minute later, I saw them walk into the forest. I left to follow them, and saw the student talking to Dolohov, both wearing those masks. I didn’t see who the student was, because I had to go and get help, and didn’t stay long enough to get more information.” Ron felt a pang of disappointment at this.

But he’d heard enough. He sped back to the locker room, where he set his broom against a wall. He than ran out onto the pitch, intent on telling Harry everything he’d seen.



Author’s Note: This chapter was a bit longer than I’d planned, since I combined the Quidditch match with the capture of Dolohov, but I’m sure you’re not complaining...anyway, hope you liked it! Please review!
Slipping Away by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Most likely, this won't be updated until after DH is posted...if that's the case, happy reading, and I'll be reading all on the 21st like most of you...but when this is validated, enjoy!


“So...a student was talking to Dolohov?” Harry asked, as he and Ron sat in front of the fire, back in the Gryffindor common room. Professor Flitwick had released everyone from the pitch after receiving word that the coast was clear, five minutes after Ron returned.

“Yup,” Ron said. “That confirms it, then...there’s a student “ or students “ that’s talking to the Death Eaters in the forest. We have to find out who, and quick.”

“Well, it may not be too long, now,” Ron commented, as Professor Potter walked into the room. He posted something on the bulletin board, and walked back out again. Ron and Harry, as well as a few other students, walked over to the board and read the notice:

Hogsmeade Weekend
The next Hogsmeade weekend will be held on October 18. Students are hereby banned from all shops south of the Three Broomsticks shop for your own safety.


“Aw, man!” Harry said, reading the last part. “Zonko’s is south of the Three Broomsticks! I wanted to go there! Why are they banning it, anyway?”

“All those shops farther south are on the edge of the forest,” Ron murmured, looking out the window to confirm...in the distance, they could see Hogsmeade, beckoning to them, in a sense. “They probably still think there’s Death Eaters in the forest.”

“So what are we going to do?” Harry asked.

“We wait,” Ron said, deep in thought. “At the next Hogsmeade weekend, we’ll make our move.”

***

The next morning, Dolohov’s capture was wide-spread news. Obviously, the staff at Hogwarts couldn’t do anything to keep the Daily Prophet from getting involved, since they were a Ministry-owned paper and they had turned Dolohov over to the Ministry. Ron and Harry read the headlines at breakfast of the Prophet morning edition that Ron’s owl had delivered. A large picture of Dolohov’s face was portrayed on half of the front page, over the heading:

INFAMOUS DEATH EATER CAPTURED

Yesterday morning, former Death Eater Antonin Dolohov was captured by Hogwarts staff. The 52-year-old was found in the Dark Forest on the edge of Hogwarts grounds at around 11:00 A.M. yesterday. The Hogwarts students were in attendance at a Quidditch match between Hogwarts houses, and they were kept safe by other teachers as Dolohov was confronted and captured.

“Dolohov was not endangering any students at the time of the capture,” the famous Hogwarts professor Harry Potter, 31, told the Prophet. The defeater of the Dark Lord Voldemort in 1998, Potter now teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts at the school, where his son and nephew currently attend.

Potter assures the Prophet that the forest has been searched for any other Death Eaters. “We have done several tests and scans of the forest,” he says, “and we have found no further traces of Dark magic.”

Dolohov will be sent straight back to Azkaban without bail, and will be guarded by security guards, who have guarded the prison since the Dementor Rebellion of 1996.

According to Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour, Dolohov will (ctd. on page 12)


Harry and Ron went over the article a few times, even scanning page 12, but nowhere did they mention the student that was meeting with Dolohov yesterday. “That settles it, then,” Ron declared, setting down the paper. “There is something up with one student, and the teachers are trying to keep it quiet. If they won’t do anything about it, we will.”

“We can’t take on dozens of Death Eaters at once, Ron!” Harry said. “Even your dad had help when he took them on thirteen years ago, and he barely survived!”

“Yeah, but we don’t have to take them on,” Ron said. “I figure the Death Eaters are hiding somewhere nearby that a magical scan couldn’t detect. In that case, we need another plan...and I think I’m starting to get an idea...”

***

As the next few weeks progressed, nothing else spectacular happened in regard to the Death Eaters. There was an interesting morning when the students came down the stairs for breakfast to witness Professor Potter refusing loudly to speak with reporters that had arrived at the school, and sent them out the door. Other than that, it was an uneventful period of time, and Ron and Harry were back to the old routine of homework, Quidditch, and classes, with not much time for anything else.

However, with the prospect of Hogsmeade coming up, Harry and Ron were optimistic. “We can visit some shops first, and then carry out the plan,” Ron said under his breath during Charms, two weeks before the visit. “I don’t think the student would just get it over with as soon as possible “ they’d want to stay with the Death Eaters for a while and get the inside scoop of goings-on...plans, schemes, all that stuff.”

Harry nodded. As two weeks went by, the boys had already formed an elaborate plan. On Saturday morning, they dressed warmly, grabbed the glasses, and walked down for breakfast. After they ate, they went out in front of the school, where Filch was collecting permission slips from students. Harry and Ron were glad that the first and second years were being allowed into Hogsmeade now, as the third-years-and-up rule had been changed about five years ago. They handed Filch their slips, submitted to a Secrecy Sensor search, and got into a carriage and rode into the town.

Harry and Ron immediately began browsing different shops. They went to The Three Broomsticks and bought butterbeers, then went to Honeydukes to stock up on sweets. Then they went to Dervish and Banges, where they browsed the cool instruments and devices on sale, and the Quidditch supply shop, where Ron bought a pair of rain-resistant goggles and Harry purchased some Keeper gloves.

After a quick lunch at a small café, Harry and Ron decided to carry out their plan. Ron took out his glasses and put them on. He was immediately overwhelmed: he could see everything, 360 degrees up, down, left and right. His legs wobbled as he looked at his feet and saw that he could see through the ground, and saw a faint yellow glow far below, at the Earth’s core. His father was a genius.

“Okay, let’s go,” Ron said to Harry. The Inseparable Duo slipped into an alleyway between two shops, and into the Forbidden Forest beyond the shops. The hustle and bustle of students chatting and walking behind them slowly faded away, and soon they were in total silence, except for their crunching feet.

Ron looked around the forest, amazed. He could see for miles through the trees...a rabbit was being hunted by a fox two miles away...a herd of centaurs marched along five miles to their left...if a tree fell, Ron would know before they could see or hear it. However, he tried to focus his attention on anything out-of-place. He found nothing.

“Are you sure we won’t get attacked by anything out here?” Harry asked in a frightened voice, glancing around nervously.

“Harry, I can see for miles,” Ron replied. “The closest threat to us is the centaurs five miles away...unless there are Death Eaters around, of course.”

The boys looked for about a half-hour, but found nothing. Disappointed, Ron turned to Harry. “Let’s go back,” he said glumly. He located Hogsmeade through the trees, and they started walking.

Suddenly, Ron saw something out of the corner of his eye. He turned sharply to look through the lenses in that area. His heart leaped; a hooded figure had Apparated into the forest about a half-mile away.

“I see someone,” Ron hissed to Harry, who immediately tensed up. Both boys pulled out their wands and pointed them upwards. “Accio brooms!” they hissed. After a minute of waiting, their Firebolts glided in next to them, hovering in front of them. They mounted the brooms in silence, and took off in the direction of the hooded figure above the tree line.

Harry couldn’t see through the thick tree branches, but Ron was keeping an eye on the figure. Right before they were right above the person, he disappeared from Ron’s view. “Wha...” Ron said. He swooped down low to skim the branches, now able to look between them. The figure was nowhere in sight. But something else caught his eye.

“Harry! We need to land and look at this closely!” Ron hissed. They dove between the branches, and touched down softly. Harry looked at Ron quizzically as his cousin laid flat on his face, looking at the ground.

“What? What are you looking at?” Harry asked, watching his cousin. Ron finally sat up to look at Harry.

“We found them,” he announced. “They have a hideout underground.”



Author’s Note: Sorry if this chapter was a bit short, but I’ll make it up to you by making a longer one for Ch. 14. As you may be able to tell, the story is drawing nearer to a climax...this is a fairly short fic. I’m going to try to wrap it up in about 20 chapters or so. By the time you read this, you will probably have finished Deathly Hallows. Hopefully, the end of the series doesn’t mean the end of your fan fiction reading, but obviously not, if you’re reading this. Ch. 14 coming soon!
The Hideout by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I hope everyone enjoyed Deathly Hallows! I know I did...but hopefully, even though this story now contradicts some of what is in Book 7, you'll read and enjoy...


Harry was in disbelief. “How can that be?” he breathed. “Didn’t they do a magical scan of the forest?”

“Well, yeah,” Ron said, looking around underground at the hideout. “But they said they searched for Dark magic. The Death Eaters probably aren’t performing any Dark magic. I mean, their bodies themselves can’t give off Dark magic, except maybe their Dark Marks...but they went dormant after Voldemort died...”

He was talking quickly, searching underground. He was looking for an entrance to the hideout. Suddenly, he saw it: a slender tube, running down to the hideout about twenty feet to their left. An elevator shaft, in fact...Ron saw the hooded figure they’d been following descending in a rudimentary elevator.

“But what about the structure itself?” Harry asked. “I mean, wouldn’t that be enough to set off any indicator?”

“No,” Ron murmured. Something began to dawn on him. “It’s a Muggle structure,” he mumbled. “The Death Eaters probably took a Muggle structure and magically dug a hole, put it in, and filled it in again...genius...”

Ron followed the tube up towards the ground level, where it attached to a tree. Ron stood up and walked towards the tree. “Looks like this tree is hiding the entrance,” he said, feeling the bark with his hands. Ron could see through the bark, and the elevator door inside it. He spotted a button, and pressed it. Hidden as ordinary bark, it depressed into the “wood”, and the doors slid open. Harry’s eyes went wide, but he followed Ron into the elevator nevertheless, leaving their brooms behind, hidden in the bushes.

As they descended into the ground, Ron looked for anyone that might get in their way. It appeared that all the Death Eaters were in a room deep into the structure, and the one Death Eater that had just arrived was walking towards the room. They arrived at the bottom, and Ron and Harry stepped out into an empty hallway. “Don’t you think they have a “ a security system or something?” Harry asked.

“Doubt it,” Ron said dismissively. “They figure that no one could possibly find the hideout in the first place, so they don’t need one.”

“What are we going to do now?” Harry asked. “Why can’t we just go back to the school and tell your dad where the hideout is, so the adults can take care of this?”

Ron turned to Harry indignantly. “So you’re saying that we can’t do this on our own?” he asked. “You’re saying that first-years can’t amount to anything, and we should just be good boys and let the adults do everything? Isn’t that what we were trying to convince my dad of so far this year?”

“Well...” Harry said. “I’m just saying...we can’t exactly take on four dozen Death Eaters on our own, no matter who our parents are...”

“Who says anything about fighting the Death Eaters?” Ron said. He tapped his glasses. “Besides, we have these. We’re just going to get some information first, then leave. It looks like they’re having a conference of some sort...”

Ron and Harry walked through the hideout, wands drawn, looking for signs of movement. Several times, Harry jumped at a slight creak of something, but Ron, knowing nothing was nearby, kept walking without stopping. He had purposely led them to the floor above the conference room, because he saw a balcony over the room, which would be ideal for listening in on them. They opened a door and found themselves looking over a railing, directly on top of a conference room. The fifty-odd Death Eaters were seated around a long table.

The Death Eater they’d been following arrived in the room, and took the last empty seat near the end of the table. The Death Eater at the end of the table, whom Ron and Harry recognized as Draco Malfoy, cleared his throat. “This meeting is now in session,” he declared, and the room grew silent. “Nott, what’s the status in the wizarding world right now?”

Nott, the Death Eater they’d been following earlier, stood up. “I’ve just spoken to our mole up at Hogwarts,” he said gruffly, making Ron and Harry look at each other. So there WAS someone up at the school giving them inside information! “They said that Dolohov was taken back to Azkaban,” Nott replied, making several Death Eaters grumble with disapproval. “They’ve done magical scans of the forest, but we still haven’t been found.”

“Of course not,” Malfoy said, sneering. “We already made sure we wouldn’t, right?”

“Yes, but an underground hideout isn’t exactly subtle,” another Death Eater said. “Surely they’ll find us eventually...”

Malfoy stood up, and Nott silently slipped back into his seat. “Crabbe, I’ve known you for twenty years and you’re still as thick as ever,” he spat. “This place is, for one, made of Muggle material, and it’s Unplottable. Someone would have to actually stumble across it to find it!”

That silenced Crabbe. Malfoy sat back down, and looked around at the other Death Eaters. “Now, you all know why we’re here, correct?” he said, and the Death Eaters all nodded. “We’re here to avenge our master...the only man in the wizarding world brave enough to take a stand against Mudbloods in the world, and all those that supported them. We’re here to kill the great Harry Potter.”

Several Death Eaters nodded again, but a few looked frightened. Malfoy noticed this. “What?” he demanded of those who looked scared. “You think, just because he defeated our master at age seventeen, he is invincible? Let me tell you this: he won last time because his idiotic friends lured us away from the Dark Lord. They are not at Hogwarts now, are they?”

Ron felt Harry tense up next to him at the insults to his parents, and nudged him to indicate him to calm down. Harry nodded slowly, but kept his eyes narrowed at Malfoy, who was still talking.

“...and, of course, Potter’s son is at the school now,” Malfoy was saying, and it was Ron’s turn to tense up. “From what Nott has told me so far from his source at the school, Potter, Jr. is intent on finding us. He’s definitely got his father’s blood...the Sorting Hat obviously mistook their idiocy for bravery.”

Ron was shaking with anger, but he struggled to control himself. There will be time for revenge later, he told himself. Just stay hidden.

“We need to act soon, or they may find us,” another Death Eater commented from the far end of the table. “The Potters can’t hide forever, but neither can we.”

“No, they can’t,” Malfoy said, “but believe me, we won’t be found. Let’s not start up on that again, Jugson. Now, Yaxley, did you bring the plan?”

“Yes,” another Death Eater replied. He pulled out his wand, making a rolled-up piece of parchment appear out of nowhere. Ron tried to read it with the glasses, but it was backwards and curved, which made it hard to see.

“Step One,” Malfoy said, taking the parchment and laying it out on the table, “is up to our mole. Nott, didn’t you say that...”

“Yup, they agreed,” Nott said.

“Yeah, the mole is going to lure Potter, Jr. into the forest,” Malfoy said. “Something about leaving the castle when they know Potter is watching...” They must have known a lot about Ron, because Ron knew that if he did see someone going into the forest, he sure would have gone after them. So far, if he hadn’t known the plan, he would’ve been in trouble.

“Then, of course, we ambush them,” Malfoy went on. “Hopefully, you are all able to subdue an eleven-year-old.” This caused some laughter among the Death Eaters. “Third, we send a hostage note to Potter, Sr., who will certainly find us and try to save his son. Knowing Potter, he’ll try to do everything himself, like his dear, stupid son. Then, of course, you know what to do.”

“But, Malfoy,” another Death Eater asked, “what are we to do after Potter is dead? What will we do with our lives?”

“What do you think?” Malfoy snapped. “We’re going to finish what our master started decades ago...cleanse the world of all Mudbloods and blood traitors. Then we shall have achieved what we set out to do.”

Ron leaned a bit farther over the banister, trying to read the parchment upside-down with the glasses. Suddenly, sweating from nervousness, the glasses slid off his nose. With dismay, he and Harry watched, frozen with fear, as the glasses fell down to the conference room. With a crack, they landed on the table, the lenses shattering upon impact. Immediately, all the Death Eaters looked up at the two boys.

“GET THEM!” Malfoy roared, and the Death Eaters stood up and began firing curses at them. Ron and Harry turned to run, but a few seconds later, stopped in their tracks...the Death Eaters had Apparated behind them, advancing towards them, wands raised. There was only one thing left to do. Ron grabbed Harry’s arm, ran back towards the balcony, and jumped over the railing. In slow-motion, he saw spells flying around him, barely missing. Then, he felt himself hit the table, and let go of Harry’s arm to roll, avoiding further injury. Harry, however, landed half on and off the table, resulting in a sickening CRUNCH and him floundering to the floor.

“HARRY, RUN!” Ron yelled, grabbing his moaning cousin’s arm again. They stumbled to the door, still avoiding spells, and ran out of the conference room. A closet was right outside the room, and Harry and Ron got into it, closing the door behind them, panting hard. Harry, moaning, was clutching his ankle. “I think I broke foot,” he muttered through gritted teeth.

“You can get it checked when we get out of here,” Ron said, still breathing hard. What he wouldn’t give to have the glasses back again...he heard no noise from beyond the door, but there could easily be a dozen Death Eaters there, silently searching for them...he drew his wand suddenly when he heard a noise, and a few seconds later, the door was flung open, and a Death Eater was staring in at them.

“EXPELLIARMUS!” Ron yelled, and the Death Eater’s wand was blown from his hand. But that didn’t silence the Death Eater.

“OVER HERE!” he yelled. “THEY’RE OVER-”

Petrificus Totalus,” Harry muttered, and the Death Eater keeled over backwards, stiff as a board.

“Thanks,” Ron said, helping his cousin to his feet. Then, together, they half-ran, half-stumbled towards a stairway to their right.

A good minute later, they ran into more trouble. Two dozen of the Death Eaters rounded the corner, spotting them...Malfoy among them. Ron pulled Harry into a side door just as multicolored spells rebounded off of walls and the ceiling towards them. “Come out and play, wittle Potter!” Malfoy taunted, wand still extending as he approached the door. Ron, trying to think of a way out of this one, thought hard. Suddenly, as saw Malfoy’s shadow from under the crack in the door, an idea formed. Without thinking, he flung open the door, kicking it hard. The wood smashed into Malfoy’s face, sending him reeling. The two boys ran out, headed in the opposite direction.

They didn’t stop this time for anything...even Harry, pumped with adrenaline, was running at the same pace, and Ron no longer had to support him. They heard footsteps behind them, and sprinted when they came to the corridor with the elevator. However, a dozen Death Eaters Apparated in front of them, wands drawn, and the Death Eaters chasing them came up behind them, wands also drawn. Malfoy, with a bloodied nose, was at the front of the pack behind them, and Ron and Harry turned to face him, now very scared.

“So...you found our hideout,” Malfoy said, not a hint of surprise in his voice. “Congratulations. What do you plan on doing now, Potter? And who’s this? Can it be cousin Weasley?” Harry and Ron gripped their wands more tightly, pointed at Malfoy. “Wands away, boys,” Malfoy said coldly. “You are vastly outnumbered, and I would hate to have you cursed fifty times if you tried anything.”

“You’ll never kill my dad!” Ron said defiantly. “He once fought off a hundred dementors at once!”

“Yes, with the help of a Time-Turner,” Malfoy sneered. “No time-travel for you or your poor daddy today, Potter. You lose.”

“Never,” Ron said. He held his wand higher.

“Enough with this,” Malfoy said. “Stop them!”

Ron and Harry, caught like deer in the headlights, watched as fifty Death Eaters drew their wands on both sides of them, yelling, “Stupefy!

***

Author’s Note: How is the Inseparable Duo getting out of this one, you ask? You’ll have to wait and find out in Ch. 15...thanks for reading; please review!
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Sorry you've had to wait for a while for this chapter...nearly there! I just needed to tweak the chapter a bit before re-submitting it...enjoy!


Ron grabbed Harry’s arm once again and pulled him to the ground. Stunning spells shot directly over their heads, barely missing them. The spells instead wreaked havoc on the Death Eaters on the opposite sides of the hallway, Stunning over half of them. The remaining few that didn’t were picking themselves off the ground, having also dropped to the floor.

“Enough!” Malfoy yelled, flicking his wand. “Accio wands!” Ron and Harry grabbed for their wands, which were now flying towards Malfoy, but they couldn’t get to them in time. Malfoy walked right up to them, and picked them both up by the scruffs of their necks. “Play time is over, Potter and Weasley,” he sneered, throwing them over to two larger Death Eaters. “Take them to the dungeons!”

Harry and Ron, dismayed, kicked and punched the two Death Eaters, but they didn’t seem to feel anything. Instead, they dragged Harry and Ron unceremoniously down a flight of stairs, to the dungeons.

***

The two Death Eaters opened the door to the murky, stuffy dungeons, and immediately walked them over to the walls. There, they chained the boys’ hands to the ceiling, so they dangled from their wrists about two feet above the ground. With that, the Death Eaters walked out. One of them turned right before closing the door. “Know this, Potter,” he said, “your father has been alerted. He should be arriving shortly to fall into our little trap.” Then the door closed, and the boys were left hanging (literally).

“Great!” Ron yelled, kicking the wall angrily. “Now we’re stuck in here! Just because Dad wouldn’t let us help them with tracking down the Death Eaters!”

“It’s mostly our fault, though,” Harry offered. “I mean, he did tell us to let the adults handle it...”

“But it doesn’t matter now!” Ron said. “It would have had the same effect...whoever the student is at the school that was talking to the Death Eaters would have lured me in here, and Dad would have still come to get me...oh, I can’t believe this!” He kicked the wall again, causing dust to fall from the rafters onto their heads, making them cough.

“What do we do now?” Harry asked nervously.

“I don’t know,” Ron muttered quietly. For once, he didn’t have a plan.

Suddenly, the door opened, and Ron and Harry turned to it, only to glare at the entrant. Sneering as usual, and holding two wands, Marilyn Malfoy was standing in the doorway.

“Malfoy!” Ron yelled angrily. “What are “ how did “ why...”

“Yes, Potter, I thought you might be wondering,” she said, fingering Ron and Harry’s wands in her own hands. “I knew you would suspect me first thing for sneaking out of school that weekend. Pity Longbottom had to see that...but no matter. Two weeks’ suspension is nothing...it simply allowed more time for sneaking out, of course.”

“But...how?” Harry asked, perplexed. “We fed you Veritaserum...”

“Stupid boy,” Marilyn sneered. “You are not as sly as you may think. Laura Ackelry tipped me off when she saw you slip the potion into my goblet that morning. I switched glasses with Damian Lestrange, who was right across from me...he was spilling his heart out in the common room all day...pretty amusing, really.” Ron and Harry were amazed that Marilyn was taking this all so lightly.

“What were you doing out-of-bounds, anyway?” Ron asked. Then, it dawned on him...the meeting that the Death Eaters had had a half-hour ago. “You’re the mole they were talking about!” he breathed. “You’ve been giving them inside information all this time!”

“Very good, Potter,” Marilyn said, nodding. “I told them in the first place that you were at the school, and decided to help them with their plan.” She began to pace, and Ron and Harry looked at each other. This could be their opportunity to escape. “We’ve been exchanging information...I learned of the plan, and I told them of you and your father up at the school. They helped me to avoid capture after the first incident with Longbottom.”

“You won’t get out of it this time,” Ron said, glaring. “When you all get caught, you’ll be sent to Azkaban with the rest of them for exchanging information with Death Eaters.”

“You don’t understand, Potter,” Marilyn said, walking right up to him. “You have no idea what we are planning after your father’s death. First, of course, we’re going to wipe out the rest of your silly little ‘Order of the Phoenix’. Next, we’ll go after the Ministry of Magic, and overthrow it, making my father as Minister. Then, the Mudbloods will be enslaved, as lower than house-elves, and anyone who stands in our way will be sent to Azkaban!”

“What makes you think you’ll succeed?” Ron said defiantly. “What if my dad breaks us out and has the rest of you thrown in prison for life?”

“Because, Potter,” Marilyn said, nose now inches from Ron’s, “we are much smarter than you.”

“NOW!” Ron yelled; Harry pushed off from the wall, who had been bracing himself as Marilyn talked, and swung to the side. His feet, swinging wildly outwards, collided with Marilyn’s head, knocking her out cold. Ron stuck his foot out and caught her limp body before she could get out of reach.

“You think so?” Ron said, smirking at the sight. Marilyn wasn’t going to be waking up any time soon. With his other foot, he carefully extracted his wand from her robes and kicked it upwards. He caught it with his still-chained hands, and unlocked himself from the wall. Then, he freed Harry, and handed his cousin the other wand. They then picked up Marilyn and chained her hands to the ceiling, with a feeling of great pleasure. Wait until the Death Eaters come in here and see this, Ron couldn’t help but think.

They ran from the dungeon, wands in front of them. Unfortunately, they were unlucky almost instantly. The guards standing on either side of the hallway outside the door spotted them right away. One of them ran to alert the other Death Eaters, and the other ran for Ron and Harry, who ran in the opposite direction. They dodged curses left and right, skidding around the corner and breathing hard. Harry’s ankle was acting up again, and he clutched it painfully.

“Ron...get out of here,” Harry said, panting. “Leave me here. I’m just getting in your way.”

“No!” Ron said, appalled. “I won’t leave you!”

“Don’t be stupid,” Harry snapped. “You don’t have to be a hero. They won’t kill me; I’m the only thing that they think will lure your dad here. I’ll be fine.”

Ron tried to argue, but at that moment, the Death Eater rounded the corner again, wand outstretched. Heart pumping, Ron abandoned his defiant cousin, who submitted to re-capture, allowing his cousin to escape.

Ron, now on his own, carefully scouted out the building. He did not know where he was; he’d taken a different staircase upstairs, and had no idea where the elevator was. He ran around for a while until he reached a dead end. Not knowing what to do, he sat down on the floor to rest. Suddenly, there was a pop, and someone was standing in front of him. He drew his wand instantly, but put it away when he saw who it was: his father.

“What happened here?” Harry Potter asked, looking at his son on the floor. “I just fought off about ten Death Eaters inside the elevator hallway...why are you here?”

So Ron told his father everything...from taking the files in Snape’s office, to sneaking out of Hogsmeade and following the Death Eater to the hideout...when he told of Harry’s sacrifice to save Ron, Professor Potter helped his son to his feet.

“Take me to the room you were kept in,” he ordered immediately. “We need to get him out.”

So Ron quietly led the way back to the room he and Harry were being detained in. He had to backtrack a few times, but finally found a corner with a puddle of blood on the floor, where Harry had been laying a few minutes before. “It’s there,” Ron whispered, signaling around the corner. “But there are two guards...”

Professor Potter, however, seemed unconcerned. He strolled right into the hallway nonchalantly, Stunning the guards and binding them with ropes before they’d realized he was there. He walked up to the door, unlocked it, and came right back out supporting Harry, who was wincing with pain from his ankle.

“We need to fix this ankle of yours, Harry,” Professor Potter said, setting Harry gingerly against the wall. He pulled out his wand again and pointed it at Harry’s foot. “Reparo.” Instantly, the oddly-shaped ankle returned to normal, and Harry gingerly put some weight on his foot, and found that the bones were indeed mended.

“Thanks,” he said, grinning.

“Now, we need to get out of here,” Professor Potter said. “I have already notified the Ministry and the other Order members...the latter should be arriving shortly.”

“But that’s what the Death Eaters want!” Ron protested. He told of the meeting the Death Eaters had had earlier, and their plan to take over the wizarding world.

“Never fear, Ron,” he said, winking. “If myself and Harry’s parents could take on fifty Death Eaters when we were seventeen, surely we can do it now, at thirty-one.”

“Yeah, but...” Ron started, but Professor Potter had begun to stroll away. Ron and Harry walked behind them, a little worried about his cockiness.

Finally, they found it...the elevator hallway. “Okay, let’s go,” Professor Potter said, walking for the elevator. He pushed the button, and the doors slid open...and a green spell hit the professor in the chest. For a horrifying second, Harry and Ron feared that he had been hit with Avada Kedavra, but the professor only stumbled backwards and dropped his wand, coughing and clutching his stomach. Three Death Eaters stepped out of the elevator: two of them grabbed Ron and Harry, grabbing their wands before they could react, and the third grabbed Professor Potter, forcing him to his feet.

“We will now see who the greater wizard is, Potter,” Draco Malfoy sneered, holding Harry Potter by the hair and forcing his wand to his throat.

“If it isn’t Draco Malfoy,” Professor Potter said weakly, still coughing from the spell he’d been hit with. “Still haven’t forgiven me for killing your father thirteen years ago, have you?”

“Guess,” Malfoy said, digging his wand deeper into his throat, making the professor gag. Malfoy then turned to Harry and Ron, who looked horrified at this sudden turn of events. “Now, kiddies,” Malfoy said, “you will witness the murder of the only they once called ‘The Boy Who Lived’. Now, he will become ‘The Boy Who Lived and Died’, which is true for any common person.”

“No common person ever did anything as great as my father!” Ron yelled angrily, struggling to free himself, to no avail. “He finished Lord Voldemort!”

“Any person can commit murder,” Malfoy said indifferently. “Even Molly Weasley was capable of it. No matter...it is time to say good-bye to your father, Ron Potter.”

Harry and Ron watched, hardly able to stand it, as Malfoy dropped Professor Potter to the ground, who had no control over his body now because of the spell. Malfoy, with hatred in his eyes, raised his wand to avenge his father’s death.


Author’s Note: Can’t stand the suspense? You’ll have to wait and see in Chapter 16 what happens to Professor Potter...thanks for reading! Please review!
The Aftermath by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
I hope you still don't hate me for the end of Ch. 15...but if you stick with me for about five more chapters, I think you will be pleased with the ending at some level. Enjoy Ch. 16!


At the top of the elevator shaft, Ron, Harry, and the Order members met several Ministry officials, including the Minister of Magic. A few of them Apparated the obviously-injured away to St. Mungo’s, such as Harry, and everyone else was checked for any injury that would be considered serious. Ron was immediately released, but he felt very numb inside. He heard the Healer that was checking him mention “suffering from shock” to another Healer, and he figured they were right, but he didn’t care any more. His father was gone.

His mother, who was normally a well-composed person, was sitting off to one side on a tree stump, tears streaming silently down her face. Ron had spilled his share of tears, and now he just wanted to lie down. Kingsley Shacklebolt was talking with the Minister, and they seemed to be talking about Ron. After a while, Kingsley walked over and kneeled down to look into Ron’s face.

“The Minister wants to speak with you,” he told the boy, “but I told him you wouldn’t want to talk. Correct?”

“Yes,” Ron said, thankful for Kingsley’s thoughtfulness. “I just want to go back to Hogwarts now.”

“All right, Ron,” Kingsley said. “I’ll have Professor McGonagall escort you back to the castle.”

Ron nodded, and McGonagall walked over. She took his arm in his, turned on the spot, and Apparated away. Ron, who had grown used to the sensation of Apparation, was still emotionless as they appeared right outside the gates of Hogwarts. McGonagall led him up the pathway to the front doors, turning towards him. “Ron, you may go up to Gryffindor Tower now,” she said. “Your cousin will join you in a short time, when he is released from St. Mungo’s, which should be within a few hours.”

“Yes, Professor,” Ron said, nodding. He entered the castle as McGonagall walked back down to the gate to Apparate back to the forest. He didn’t meet anyone on his way up to the seventh floor, and he wondered if any of the students had heard of the incident. When he arrived at the portrait of the Pink Lady, she saw him and gave a small gasp.

“Ron Potter!” she exclaimed. “Is it true? Did you find the hideout of the Death Eaters and take them on single-handedly.

“Sort of,” Ron muttered tiredly. “My cousin was with me...and we didn’t fight them until the Order of the Phoenix arrived...”

“Thank goodness you’re alive,” was all the Pink lady said before swinging open. Ron walked through the portrait hole into the common room, and the hushed mutterings of the other Gryffindors quieted as they saw Ron.

“Is it true?” a second-year asked. “Did you find the Death Eaters in the forest?”

“Yes,” Ron said as he walked towards the dorms, not making eye contact with anyone.

“And did you fight them single-handedly?” another girl asked.

Ron turned to face them all right before ascending the winding staircase. “No,” he said. “Harry Weasley and I got captured, and my dad rescued us...then he sacrificed himself to let us escape.” With that, he turned to walk up to the dormitory, leaving the gasps of shock and horror behind him.

When he got to the dormitories, he walked right over to his four-poster, and flopped onto it without changing out of his clothes. It was hard to believe that, just half a day ago, he had been in Hogsmeade, visiting the shops, not a care in the world...and now his father was dead, his cousin and half of the Order of the Phoenix was in St. Mungo’s, and it was all his fault...for thinking too highly of himself and acting rashly. He had disobeyed his father, and now the great Harry Potter’s death hung over his head.

***

The next morning, Ron discovered just how big of a deal the incident had been. The Daily Prophet had had a field day; Ron was lucky he’d gotten to Hogwarts before the papers arrived at the forest. He entered the Great Hall and discovered that the entire Hall was draped in black: black curtains, black drapes...even the enchanted ceiling was covered with dark black clouds. His delivery owl brought him the morning Prophet, and he read the front headline:

DEATH OF A HERO

Last night, the great Harry Potter, 31, died in the Dark Forest outside Hogwarts grounds after apprehending the four dozen escaped Death Eaters. The Death Eaters were hiding in an underground Muggle structure deep in the forest, eluding magical scans of the past and getting inside information from a student at Hogwarts, whose father was the leader of the group of the late Voldemort’s supporters.

Potter’s son, Ron, a student at Hogwarts, had somehow discovered the location of the hidden Dark wizards and witches, and he, along with his cousin, Harry Weasley, another student, decided to apprehend them on their own. According to Minerva McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts and a member of the Order of the Phoenix, “Potter and Weasley were captured, and
[Harry Potter] managed to break them out. Long story short, we arrived, there was a fight, and the Order escaped. Potter and the Death Eaters did not.”

Potter, Sr. had apparently decided that the battle was not going in the Order of the Phoenix’s favor, so he sacrificed himself by destroying a crucial support column and bringing the entire structure down upon himself and the Death Eaters. Potter had been seriously weakened by a Poisoning Curse, designed to kill the receiver within an hour of casting the spell. A search of the rubble brought up no discovery of Potter’s body, although the bodies of several of the Death Eaters were found.

Ron Potter declined to comment on the subject. However, several Order members spoke about the (ctd. page 5)


When everyone in the hall had read about the incident, people were approaching Ron left and right, asking him to recount the events in the forest for them. He declined them all politely, and halfway through breakfast, when Harry walked into the hall, looking tired but wholly all right, the students ran over to bug him about it. Harry sat down next to Ron, attempting to smile.

“They say I got hit with a Fiendfyre curse,” Harry said. “Luckily for me, it missed my heart, or it might have killed me. It fried my stomach, though, and they said that I can’t eat solid foods for a while.”

“That stinks,” Ron said, and Harry reached for a plate of pancakes, and after smashing them down with his fork into a mush, he began eating gingerly, grimacing occasionally.

“Still haven’t found your dad?” Harry said quietly to Ron, who wasn’t touching his breakfast.

“No,” Ron said, swallowing painfully. He didn’t want to talk about his father at the moment, and he changed the subject. “Do you think they’ll have classes today?”

“I doubt it,” Harry said. “I mean, the death of Harry Potter is probably the worst thing to happen to the wizarding world since the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998.”

“Good,” Ron muttered. “I don’t feel up to thinking today.”

Harry started to laugh, but realized Ron wasn’t trying to be funny and fell silent instantly, going back to his pancakes.

Sure enough, near the end of breakfast, McGonagall stood up and announced that all classes had been cancelled. She then led a toast to “the great Harry Potter, who contributed more to the wizarding world than any wizard or witch in history”, and she dismissed the students to do as they pleased. The Slytherins were somewhat subdued throughout the day, as the other children of Death Eaters were interrogated by Ministry officials, and all the Slytherins felt targeted, yet the only Slytherin convicted of communication with Death Eaters was Marilyn Malfoy.

“Who’s going to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts now?” someone wondered aloud in the common room that afternoon, where Ron and Harry had been talking quietly while sitting in front of the fire.

“They probably have a backup teacher for the job,” Ron said to the kid. “My dad said once, Professor Hagrid was gone for half of the year, and they had a replacement teacher fill in.”

“Yeah, well they had plenty of notice, didn’t they?” another boy, a fifth-year, said. “They only have a day or so to find someone else.”

The answer came a few hours later, at dinner. As everyone ate, talking quietly amongst themselves, McGonagall stood up. “Attention, please,” she said, and everyone quieted down. “I have two people I wish to introduce you to. First, as you know, the job of Defense Against the Dark Arts has been vacated.” Everyone nodded in recognition of this statement, which avoided saying the obvious. “I’d like to introduce the replacement teacher: Professor Ginny Potter.” Ron cricked his neck turning his head so fast; his mother was sitting at the end of the High Table, waving politely at everyone and smiling slightly.

“Second,” McGonagall said, “Professor Longbottom is currently resting in St. Mungo’s with injures sustained last night, and will recover within weeks. His replacement is also here: Professor Hermione Weasley.” Again, Ron whipped his head to face his aunt, who was also smiling at them all.

“Classes will resume tomorrow morning,” McGonagall said, and sat back down, and the talking started up again.

“Is your mum any good at DADA?” a third-year asked Ron.

“Is YOUR mum any good at Herbology?” someone else asked Harry.

“My mum once took on three boys a year older than her and won,” Ron told the third-year.

“And my mum went through Hogwarts as the top of her class in everything,” Harry said. Both boys knew their mothers were capable of filling in for a few weeks, but wondered whether the substitutions could teach at Professor Potter’s standards. Just thinking of the words “Professor Potter” made Ron’s stomach lurch. He had gotten over crying and feeling sick, but he still could not believe what had happened. After dinner, he walked up to the High Table and greeted his mother.

“Hi, Mum,” he said.

“Hello, Ron,” Ginny Potter said. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah,” Ron said, nodding slowly. “It’s just...”

“I know,” Ginny said, reaching out and gripping her son’s hand encouragingly. “Listen...Dad’s funeral is set for tomorrow night. They’re going to lay him to rest next to Professor Dumbledore’s grave.”

Ron nodded, getting choked up at the thought of his father being put to rest. “I’ll be there,” he muttered, and walked out of the Great Hall, up to his four-poster in the dormitory. He changed into his pajamas, crawled under his sheets, and fell into a restless sleep.

***

Author’s Note: Well, the funeral chapter is up next...the whole point of this chapter was to show just what a blow it was to the wizarding world to lose a great wizard like Harry Potter. The fic is almost over, but I do have a few tricks left up my sleeve...you won’t be disappointed or bored (I hope) with the closure of this story. Thanks for reading so far; stick with it! I’m almost done! Please review!
Vanishing Act by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
Harry's funeral...aww...well, hope you read anyway...as I've said, I've yet to use up all my tricks on this one.


The funeral of Harry Potter was just as populated as Albus Dumbledore’s almost 14 years prior, if not more. Wizards and witches poured into Hogsmeade from all over the world, and the Ministry had to be on constant alert for fights breaking out over reservations at hotels. Finally, at seven ’o clock, people filled the thousands of chairs set out on the grounds, ready for the funeral to begin.

Next to the white tomb where the body of Dumbledore lay, another white tomb had been erected. No body would be laid to rest there, as Harry Potter’s body had never been found in the rubble of the Death Eaters’ hideout. It was simply there as a symbol, to remind everyone that, although he was over 100 years younger, Potter was no lesser man than Dumbledore.

As Ron sat in his chair in the front row, next to his entire family of Weasley cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, he read the plaque that was engraved at the foot of the tomb:

The body of HARRY POTTER should lie here,
but he sacrificed his flesh and bone to save others.
His spirit resides in this hallowed place,
and in the hearts of his loved ones.
(1980-2011)


Ron found that tears formed in his eyes when he read the well-crafted words, and his mother gripped his shoulder as she, too, cried silently. The entire Weasley clan was devastated by the loss, but none as much as Harry Potter’s wife and two kids. Finally, after everyone muttered quietly about various things, the ceremony began.

First, Rufus Scrimgeour stood up and gave a few words. He talked about what an incredible wizard Harry Potter was, and what an awesome Auror he had been for the ten years he served before teaching at Hogwarts. He sat down to scattered applause, and then, to everyone’s surprise, Severus Snape stood up at the podium and cleared his throat.

“I admit, I never got along with Potter,” he said, and a few people who knew of the two men’s relationship, such as Ron and Harry, laughed quietly. “From the moment I first met him, as my student twenty years ago, to the time he joined me on staff here at Hogwarts, we never had a true bond between us.

“Many, many years ago, when I was a student at Hogwarts, I formed a close bond with Potter’s mother, Lily Evans. Unfortunately for me, she chose to marry James Potter, whom I admit I despised. James teased me and bullied me, and I hated him for it. When Lily and James was murdered, my combined anger towards the death of Lily to the continuing hatred of James channeled towards young Potter. Every chance I got “ and believe me, there were ample chances “ I punished Potter as severely as possible.”

Everyone was watching Snape, in awe at what he was saying. Snape continued: “All throughout his six years at Hogwarts, Potter was constantly in trouble. He also eluded the Dark Lord time and time again, and on one occasion, when Potter was nearly killed by an accomplice of the Dark Lord, I saved Potter’s life...as his father had once done for me, to my immense displeasure.

“When Potter defeated the Dark Lord thirteen years ago, although I still didn’t particularly like him, I admit, I respected him greatly for what he had done. Even the great Albus Dumbledore “ whom I regret playing a part in the death of “ couldn’t do what Potter did. And for that...although until the end, I didn’t like him very much...I tip my hat to Harry Potter.” Snape nodded briefly, and then stepped off the stage. After a few seconds of stunned silence, everyone clapped, and the applause for the man everyone had once thought was intent on Harry Potter’s death didn’t cease for two minutes.

After the applause had died down, various people shared anecdotes about Harry Potter, from Tom, the owner of the Hog’s Head, to the Weasley twins, Fred and George. Finally, after almost everyone had laughed and cried at the various stories of Harry Potter’s adventures throughout his 31 years of life, Ron’s mother stood up and walked up to the podium, clearing her throat.

“As you all know, Harry Potter was my husband of eleven years,” Ginny Potter said to the collective crowd. “He was, besides being a great wizard, a wonderful friend, and always thought of others before himself. I admit, for the first few years of having known Harry, I was scared silly to be around him. It was a silly childhood crush, I was told, and I finally dropped it.

“And then, believe it or not, the great Harry Potter took notice of me. When I was only fifteen, just being myself and no longer afraid of humiliating myself in front of him, he noticed me. The moment I knew I loved him most, even after we dated for a month or so, was when he broke up with me. It was out of love, not disinterest, that he did so. He wanted to protect me from You-Know-Who, so he distanced himself from me. At first, I hated him for it, then a realized how hard it had been for him to do so, and it only increased our love for each other when we met again.”

Ginny then pointed to her two children in the front row. “I know that my son and daughter, Ron and Veronica, miss him as much as I do now. Some of my best memories are of the past ten years, as I watched Harry grow up to be an incredible father, and he loved his children dearly. Ron was just as courageous and fearless as his father, and Veronica was just as caring and noble as Harry. I thank you, Ron and Veronica, for making these years such a wonderful experience for me.”

Ginny sniffed, and everyone could tell she was on the verge of tears. “I’m sorry,” she muttered. “I’m normally more composed than this...but I am going to miss my husband dearly. And if he can hear me, somewhere, wherever he is, I just want to say...I love you, Harry Potter, and I always will.”

“As will I to you, Ginevra,” a voice rang out from the back row, and everyone turned around to stare in shock at the man walking up the aisle towards Ginny: Harry Potter. A few people screamed; the rest began muttering nervously as they watched the green-eyed man walk up to the podium kissing his stunned and immobile wife, who walked back to her seat as her husband took the podium.

“This has been a wonderful ceremony to watch,” Harry Potter said, a twinkle in his eye. He had the air of a boy who had just pulled off the ultimate prank. “I thank you all for your kind words about me, and the rest of you, for attending. It means a lot to me.”

Everyone was still staring at him in shock, stunned at his sudden and unannounced appearance. “You’re probably all wondering how I’m alive and here right now,” he said, and everyone murmured their agreement. “Well, as you all know from the papers, I had been weakened by the Poisoning Curse, compliments of a one late-Draco Malfoy. I intended to save everyone else by sacrificing myself and bring the structure of the hideout down on myself. I daresay it worked.

“I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it to the elevator in time, and I couldn’t Apparate out because of the charm cast by the Death Eaters, but I summoned enough energy to cast a Shield Charm around myself to deflect the falling debris. I then managed to crawl out of the rubble, away from the anti-Apparation charm, and Apparate to the castle. I met Severus along the way up to Hogwarts, as he was headed to the site of the incident, and he helped me down to the dungeons, where he brewed me an antidote, which cured me completely. Thank you, Severus.” Harry nodded to the Potions master, who nodded curtly back to him.

Rufus Scrimgeour stood up and faced Snape angrily. “Professor Snape, you have known Potter was alive all this time, and said nothing to anybody about it?”

Up at the podium, Harry Potter held up a hand for silence from the recurring mutterings. “Please, Minister, do not blame Severus for this. I asked him to remain quiet until the funeral, because I wanted to do a few things. There are many things you don’t get to hear about yourself unless you have died.” A few people chuckled in agreement.

“Of course, I owe everyone an apology,” he said. “My family in particular. I kept you in the dark, and you all thought me dead, and I’m deeply sorry. But you must agree...I wanted to see just what would happen if such a thing would happen to me, and as expected, the wizarding world was in shock. It was a bit disconcerting to read my own obituary in the paper, I must say. Well...that’s about it. I hid out all of yesterday, and now I’m here. I hope you all do not hate me.”

There was a silence for several minutes as everyone processed this new information. Professor Potter stood at the podium with his hands behind his back, waiting. Finally, Fred and George Weasley stood up. “Brilliant!” they said simultaneously, and began clapping. After a few seconds, everyone else joined in, and although everyone was somewhat angry at having the wool pulled over their eyes, they all had to admit to themselves, what Harry Potter had pulled off was brilliant.

“Thank you, Severus, for playing your part brilliantly,” he said finally. “You may all go now.” He stepped off the podium, and was instantly mobbed by his family, all crying and hugging him. “Everyone, I’ll say hello to you all in due time,” he told them all. “Right now, I wish to speak with my son.” Everyone looked curiously at Ron, but conceded to let father and son talk. Harry Potter put an arm over Ron’s shoulders, and they walked up to the castle to talk. There was a lot that needed to be said.


Author’s Note: Harry Potter lives! If you are reading this, obviously you trusted me enough to continue with the story, and hopefully it was paid off by reading this chapter. I am nearly done; there is one more chapter and an epilogue still to come. We’re almost there; thanks for reading! Please review!
Apologies and Explanations by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
This is the last chapter of the story before the epilogue, so enjoy!


Ron was once again numb with shock. In just over thirty hours, he had lost his father, said a final goodbye to him, and was now walking in his arms up to the castle. He was unaware of his surroundings until they rounded a corner and met Peeves the Poltergeist. Peeves stopped and stared at Professor Potter, walking towards him. “Can it be Potter?” the poltergeist said, rubbing his eyes. “Potter is alive?”

“Yes, Peeves, I was never dead,” Professor Potter said tiredly. “I may explain myself to you later.”

Peeves, eyes wide, did something he had done to only two students before in his life: he bowed. “Wee Potter pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes!” he said gleefully. “You are a genius, Potter!”

“Yes, thank you, Peeves,” Professor Potter said, a bit annoyed now, and they walked into his office. Ron sat down in a chair as his father closed and locked the door behind them, sitting across from Ron. He sat directly in front of Ron, rather than behind a desk. This conversation would be father-son, rather than professor-student.

“Ron, I said it earlier, but I wish to tell you especially that I’m sorry for what I did to you. I know that you had blamed yourself for my death, even though it really wasn’t...”

“But it was!” Ron insisted, closing his eyes momentarily in shame. “I could’ve gone for help, but I made Harry go with me to take them ourselves.”

“Ron, just know that I would’ve done the same if I were in your position,” Professor Potter said. His green eyes pierced Ron’s brown ones. “I don’t blame you for what you did. When I was your age, I didn’t trust adults, either, and like you, I didn’t realize that they were actually smarter than I was, and had only my best interests in mind.”

“Best interests?” Ron said quietly, but angrily. Several months of anger towards his father began bubbling up to the surface as he, too, stood up. “Then why did you try to keep me and Ron cooped up in the castle all year like good little boys? You never paid attention to the rules! You never avoided trouble when it came your way!” Just as he was getting on a roll, Professor Potter stopped him with one hand.

“I understand what you’re saying, Ron,” he said quietly. “I would be angry, too. In fact, I was.”

“What do you mean?” Ron asked, still angry, but calming down a bit. “It’s not like you were being cooped up when you were at Hogwarts!”

“Not in the ways you would think,” Professor Potter said, frowning. “It’s a vicious cycle, really. I felt the same way when Sirius Black tried to do it to me. He was a Marauder with your grandfather, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew...the ultimate troublemaker. In my fifth year, right after Voldemort regained his body, Sirius tried to tell me to keep my head down; stay out of harm’s way...I got angry and disobeyed him. I tried to take matters into my own hands.”

“Like me,” Ron said quietly.

“Exactly,” Professor Potter said. “The end of my fifth year was almost exactly like your incident two days ago. I witnessed in my mind Sirius being captured by Voldemort and brought into the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic. I chose not to attempt to get help from other adults, because they had denied me my basic freedoms all year. You know the rest: I overestimated myself. Sirius was killed. I knew it was all my fault.”

“But it wasn’t your fault at all!” Ron said. “You were tricked by Voldemort! You couldn’t stop him from invading your mind!”

“Survivor’s guilt, Ron,” Professor Potter explained. “Everyone who is in such a situation had experienced it. I felt it, because I survived while Sirius died. You survived while I had supposedly died, as well. It was basically my fault for what happened to me. I made the same mistake that Sirius made with me “ and that Dumbledore made with Sirius and me “ which is trying to keep the other on a short leash.

“Dumbledore tried to keep Sirius at Grimmauld Place, afraid that he would be captured by the Ministry and thrown back in Azkaban. He also tried to keep me at Privet Drive all summer after my fourth year, afraid that I would run into trouble with Voldemort, which I did, with the dementors. Sirius tried to keep me out of trouble, afraid that he could lose the closest thing to a family member he’d ever known. And I tried to keep you isolated from the outside world, knowing perfectly well that you were trying to solve the Death Eater mystery on your own, and afraid that you would do something stupid to corrupt the Order’s plans of taking over the hideout.”

“You knew all this time?” Ron asked, incredulous. “You knew where the Death Eaters were hiding?”

“Of course we did,” Professor Potter said matter-of-factly. “We told the papers that the magical scans of the forest produced no results. Well, actually, they did. We managed to find the hideout by discovering the misplaced dirt over the hideout which had magic lingering on it from when they magically buried the hideout. We were able to install hidden cameras within the hideout to keep an eye on things. We did not want to barge in on them, because if anything went wrong, they would relocate, and we’d lose our lead.”

“What were you going to do?” Ron asked, curious now.

Professor Potter shrugged. “The initial plan was to cast an anti-Apparation charm on the structure, and then blow the entire thing while they are trapped. Of course, that was problematic, as it would require sending someone into the structure undetected. By the way, how did you and Harry manage it?” Ron was surprised at the sudden question.

“We-we stole the magic glasses from your desk during detention,” Ron said quietly, ashamed. “The ones that you modeled after Mad-Eye Moody’s magic eye.”

Professor Potter examined Ron for a few seconds, then nodded. “Brilliant,” he said quietly.

“Then-then you’re not mad?” Ron asked timidly.

“Of course not,” Professor Potter said. “I’ve stolen my share of things from teachers’ offices in my day. And to be frank, I was rather expecting you to try to steal the Map and Cloak back from me. I never even thought of the glasses...good thinking...and taking the documents from Professor Snape’s office to try and rat out the student in the Death Eater costume a few weeks ago...”

“Thanks,” Ron said quietly. Then, he realized something. “You knew that Marilyn Malfoy was the student in the Death Eater costume the whole time, didn’t you?”

“Naturally,” Professor Potter replied. “I knew you suspected her, but as I said, it was confidential information. We chose not to inform the Ministry who the student was, saying it wasn’t their business to punish students for incidents on school grounds, so she was allowed to remain at Hogwarts. Now, of course, she is buried under twenty feet of dirt and rubble to show for her efforts.”

Ron gave a small “ha!” before realizing the enormity of that statement. “Why didn’t you just wait until the Ministry arrived, and let the Death Eaters go back to Azkaban?”

“There were many reasons,” Professor Potter replied. “For one, I was weak. I needed to escape as quickly as possible. Also, I needed to end the battle soon, or more Order members would have fallen. Besides that, Azkaban has proven to have many flaws. It is no longer a safe and foolproof to keep Dark wizards and witches locked up. I am going to talk to the Ministry soon about reconstructing an old wizard prison, Durmengard...I think they’ll find it suitable if my plans work.”

“What did you do while everyone thought you were dead?” Ron asked immediately. “You could’ve told me or Mum...”

“It would have ruined the effect at the funeral,” Professor Potter said, smirking slightly. “It was the ultimate prank, but yes, it was cruel. I spend the day hiding out in the dungeons, in Snape’s office, reading the papers and listening to the wizarding radio. I must say, it worked...the world was basically in turmoil. I’m glad that I pulled it off, but I regret the effect it had on my family, especially you.”

Ron nodded. It all made sense now. “What are you going to do now?” he asked.

“Well, I think it’s time we went out to talk to the Prophet,” Professor Potter said. “Who am I to deny them a headline story? I can see the headline now: ‘Harry Potter: The Boy Who Lived, Died, and Lived’.”

Ron laughed, then realized what he’d said. “What do you mean, ‘we’?” he asked. “Why me?”

“Well, you single-handedly took on four dozen Death Eaters, didn’t you?” Professor Potter said, a twinkle in his green eyes. “I suppose Harry wouldn’t mind having a little fame, either.”

“He’d like that,” Ron said, smiling. “I think I would, too.” With that, Professor Potter put an arm around his son’s shoulder, and together, father and son walked from the office to face the world.



Author’s Note: The end! Well, technically, there is one more chapter (an epilogue), but this is basically the end of Ron Potter’s adventure with the Death Eaters. Let me know what you thought; stick around a few more days for the epilogue! Please review with your thoughts!
Epilogue: The Reunion (Again) by PEMDAS
Author's Notes:
The very last chapter of this fic at last! Thanks for reading, everyone!


July 14. It was a day that Molly Weasley had marked on her calendar long ago. It was the day that the Weasley/Potter family would meet again at the Burrow for their second annual family reunion. But there was something extra special about today, besides the reunion: Ron Jr. and Harry Jr. would be turning twelve today. Besides the basic decorations she’d laid out for everyone, Molly had taken the liberty of enlarging two Chocolate Frog cards and hanging them for all to see.

But they weren’t just any Chocolate Frog cards. These depicted two eleven-year-old boys, now twelve, Harry Weasley and Ron Potter. The same caption read under both of their names: Currently students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft of Wizardry. Noted for the discovery and downfall of escaped Death Eaters in the fall of 2011. Under the request of Harry Potter, the publishers of Ron’s card had emitted the line Son of noted wizard Harry Potter, defeater of Lord Voldemort in 1998, so as to keep the spotlight on Ron, and also to make Harry feel just as important.

At noon, everyone began arriving. First came Charlie and Danielle, with Grant in tow. Then, simultaneously, Fred and George came with their wives, and their children: Arthur and Derek, and Gina (respectively). Bill and Fleur came right behind, with Chloe, Bailey and Madeline. Percy and Penelope came soon after with Gertrude and Francis, and finally, to Molly’s surprise, Ron and Hermione, with their two youngest, Leslie and Candace, along with Ginny and Veronica. The only people not there were Harry Sr., Ron Jr., and Harry Jr.

“Where’s everyone else?” Molly asked Ginny.

Veronica answered before her mother could. “My dad took Ron and Harry somewhere. He said he’d be here soon.”

“I hope they’re all right,” Molly said worriedly.

“Don’t worry, Mum,” Ginny said, hugging her elderly mother. “They’ll be fine. They’re with Harry, after all.”

Sure enough, about ten minutes later, there was a CRACK and the three missing men appeared. “Where have you been?” Ginny asked her husband.

“Out,” Harry Potter said simply, and when her wife drew her wand (to everyone’s raucous laughter), he smirked and said, “I took the boys to the Ministry with me. Scrimgeour asked me to come in and turn in some last-minute paperwork to re-apply with the Auror office. I thought they might enjoy seeing the place, since it’s their birthday.”

“I still don’t understand why you resigned as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” Ron commented. Harry nodded next to him.

“I told you, boys,” Harry Potter said, “the only reason I applied in the first place was because the Ministry bugged me to. They’d just replaced the human guards at Azkaban with trolls, and they knew it would be unstable for a while. They wanted me to be around you guys, in case they attacked the school.”

“But you were such a good teacher!” Harry protested. “We’ll never get the chance to learn from a better teacher than you!”

“And my Chloe was looking forward to learning from you, ‘Arry,” a silky voice said, and everyone saw Fleur walk over.

“So was I! So was I!” a voice piped up, and Grant walked up, as well.

“You’re both starting Hogwarts this year?” Molly asked, and the two kids nodded. “This calls for a celebration!”

“You’ve already done enough, Molly,” Harry Potter said. “Look, Gin, at all this! You’re mother’s amazing.” He said this aloud on purpose, and Molly blushed.

There were two gasps as Ron and Harry noticed the giant Chocolate Frog cards and ran over to them. Molly chuckled as everyone gaped. “Oh, Mum, you shouldn’t have!” Ginny said, beaming. “You just made their day!”

“Reminds me of when I got my face on a Chocolate Frog card,” Ron Weasley said, sighing in reminiscence. “My finest hour. Like fathers, like sons, eh, Harry?” Harry Potter laughed at this.

“Well, let’s not stand around all day,” Molly said, gesturing to the table. “Let’s eat!”

As usual, she had prepared a meal for them by hand, and they ate one of the best lunches they’d ever had. They talked about various things: Ron and Harry’s discovery of the Death Eaters half a year ago, Chloe and Grant’s upcoming entrance into Hogwarts, and, most importantly, everyone cheered when Fred and Cecilia announced that they were expecting a second child.

After lunch, the boys immediately wanted to play Quidditch. They then organized a Quidditch match, adults versus grown-ups. It was Ron, Harry, Grant, Chloe and Veronica against Harry Sr., Ron Sr., Ginny, Fred, and George. It was a very good match-up, or at least, the grown-ups made it that way, and Ron capped off the game by snatching the Snitch from right under his father’s nose. Laughing, they all landed, bowing to the cheers from the other kids and adults watching.

Then, at the request of Cecilia, they began brainstorming names for her new baby. Ron and Harry were instantly discarded as boys’ names “ “We have enough already! - but a few good boys’ names emerged: Cecilia liked Felix, Will and Gregory. They decided to switch to girls’ names when Fred and George suggested Gred or Forge. Some great names also came out of it: Emma, Meghan, Alexandra and Paula were among Cecilia’s favorites.

At dinner, the adults discussed work. Ron Sr. reported a party they were throwing at the Auror office to celebrate Harry Sr.’s return, which Harry Sr. didn’t feel he deserved, which everyone at the table dismissed instantly. Harry Sr. reported that he’d finally finished his paperwork to return to the office, and how he was now able to spend more time with his family. Finally, after many more people talked about their various occupations, they got onto a subject Ron and Harry Jr. enjoyed.

They decided to talk about their adventure back in the fall. “So, Ron, Harry, since it’s your birthday, why don’t you tell us again about how you found the Death Eaters last fall?” Molly asked, smiling, and the other kids agreed, wanting to hear a good story.

“Well, we used my dad’s old glasses that could see through anything,” Ron started, “and we found the hideout underground in the Forbidden Forest. We went into it and accidentally got captured.”

“I broke my foot right before we got captured,” Harry picked up, wincing at the memory, “and we were locked in a dungeon. We managed to break ourselves out by knocking out Marilyn Malfoy and stealing our wands back from her.” The kids cheered at this.

“Then, Harry got captured again,” Ron said, “but my dad arrived and broke him out again. Then, right before we got out, we were cornered by the Death Eaters. The leader was about to kill my dad, but Fawkes arrived and saved us.”

“Then, some Order members arrived, and we all fought each other,” Harry picked up. “Then, I was hit by a curse, and...well, I woke up in St. Mungo’s, so I can’t tell you exactly what happened.”

“My dad sacrificed himself to get us out,” Ron said glumly. “But then, of course, we found out he was actually alive, and the Death Eaters were discovered a few days later, all dead.”

“Three cheers for Ron and Harry!” Fred Weasley boomed, and everyone raised their glasses. The adult Ron and Harry stood up, smirking and bowing, and then ducked as several spells were cast playfully at them, to more laughter.

Much too soon, after another great meal, it was time to go. Molly waved as everyone again got into their respective family circles to Apparate home. “Goodbye, everyone!” she called out. “Chloe...Grant...have fun at Hogwarts!”

“Will do!” two voices rang out among the crowd, and Molly was reminded of another pair of voices she’d heard the year before. There was a loud CRACK, and everyone was gone. Smiling at the thought of another successful reunion, Molly Vanished all the decorations, except for the Chocolate Frog cards, which she made smaller and put in her pocket. She then walked back into the Burrow, smiling. Life was good.

THE END


Author’s Note: All right, that’s it, folks! The end. Fin. Whatever you want to call it. The fic is now complete! You are free! Goodbye, and please, before you leave, send in a review. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the end of this fic. Thanks for reading!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=66548