Unintended Desire of the Heart by laceymoibella
Summary: After Hermione runs into Draco in the corridor, she questions his demeanor. This leads to an unwanted close encounter between them. Hermione sets her sights on trying to figure out what Draco is hiding. Meanwhile, Draco is determined that she not discover what he is up to. Neither one is prepared for the consequences that ensue.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 13959 Read: 13138 Published: 05/10/07 Updated: 11/24/07

1. Chapter 1 Thoughts of You by laceymoibella

2. Chapter 2 Dreams and Secrets by laceymoibella

3. Chapter 3 Enclosed In Darkness by laceymoibella

4. Chapter 4 Another Side Of You by laceymoibella

Chapter 1 Thoughts of You by laceymoibella
Author's Notes:
HBP is disregarded. All characters belong to JKR. Warning; mild sexual content.

Thank you to my wonderful beta, Social Loner! You are awesome!
Hermione had been hurrying along the deserted sixth floor corridor, alone, trying to get to the library. Few students were inside being that it was a Saturday, and the first nice one of the season at that. Suddenly, she collided with someone rushing out of the boys’ loo. They both fell backward from the impact. Regaining her wits about her, she scrambled to her feet brushing her curly brown hair out of her face. Recognizing the boy who had hit her she queried, “Malfoy! What the bloody hell is your…?” Her words trailed off as she got a good look at the figure sprawled at her feet.








If anything, he was paler than usual; if that was possible,Hermione thought to herself. There was also obvious evidence on his cheeks that he had been crying. Why? What could have made him, Mr. I’m-A-Pure-Blood, cry? Her attention was drawn away from her thoughts as Draco got to his feet, brushing at his open robes he drawled, “Got your nose buried in a book again, Granger?”








Straightening up, she quickly recovered her composure and snapped, “You should try it sometime, Malfoy! You might learn a thing or two. Do you always exit a room without watching where you’re going?”








“Granger, Granger, Granger,” he whispered as he stepped closer to her. She felt the intensity of his body being so near to hers. “Do you always have to rush wherever you go? What’s the matter? Potter needs a Mudblood to give him the answers? Or is it Weasley?” he ground out.








Hermoine’s temper rose within her as she saw his familiar smirk. “Maybe I should ask why the cold-hearted Slytherin King was shedding tears. Did Lucius tell his precious baby boy ‘no’?” she retorted.








She watched as Draco’s eyes narrowed and he quickly closed the miniscule space between them. His right hand snaked up behind her neck and he twisted his fingers tightly into her hair, making it impossible for her to move. His left hand grasped her upper arm. He pressed his lean body into hers as he asked her silkily, “Come now, Granger. Do you really think I don’t get what I want?”








Spellbound and slightly scared, she stared at his face. Her mouth was dry and her breath had quickened. She had nowhere to look but at him. Uncertainty clouded her mind at the sensations she felt coursing through her. What is wrong with me? This is Malfoy, the king of all gits! Sanity grappled within her brain, trying to make sense of these feelings. Why am I reacting like this? And to him of all people?!








Desperately, she tried to clear her mind when she suddenly remembered her wand in her robe pocket. Having found her voice she managed to say, “Pretty confident in your abilities, aren’t you, Malfoy? Now get your hands off of me.” Her wand, secured in her left hand, pushed into his right side. She witnessed the surprise as it etched on his face at the realization that her wand was poking into him.








Draco looked down at Hermione’s wand and back up into her face and snarled, “Are you going to hex me, Granger? I think not. Not with you being a Prefect and all. It wouldn’t look good for you to hex another Prefect. But, gladly I’ll let go, I wouldn’t want to dirty myself further. Just remember this, Granger,” he spat out, “no one will believe you, if you tell them what you saw. After all, I am… me. You just keep it to yourself if you know what’s good for you.”








As quickly as he had grabbed her, he released her. Hermione stumbled back and placed her right hand on the wall to catch her balance. Pure loathing and something else crossed her face. Silently, she watched as he strode away from her until he disappeared around the corner. She let out the breath that she was unaware she had been holding. Merlin’s beard!








Sagging against the wall, she thought about her reaction to being that close to him. Why did I react like that? A thought struck her and her breath caught again. She whispered out loud, “It felt so good being held like that by him. What am I thinking? It was Malfoy after all.” Try as she might, she couldn’t erase the feelings that had swept through her during their confrontation.








Confusion settled into her brain as she recalled the incident. Why had he been rushing out of the loo like that anyway? What had broken through that steely demeanor of his? She wasn’t sure what it was but she knew one thing; she was going to find out.








Around the corner of the corridor, out of sight, Draco stood with his feet splayed, arms outstretched with his palms flat against the wall. Head hanging between his arms as he tried to compose himself, he quietly murmured, “What the bloody hell is wrong with me? That was Granger!”








He took a shuddering breath and closed his eyes. Why did I react to her like that? She’s not even a Pure-Blood! He opened his eyes and stared up at the wall; not seeing it, but her large brown eyes instead. It felt so good to hold her close. What am I thinking? He shook his head to clear it.








A nagging feeling hit him. “Damn! She saw my face. She’s sure to tell Potter and Weasley. I’ll have to be more vigilant than ever,” he mumbled. One thing he knew; he was going to have to stay away from her.








That night in her dormitory as she got ready for patrolling the halls, Hermione went over her plan in her head. Satisfied, she strode from her room and went down the stairs that led to the common room. Ron and Harry were pouring over a game of Wizard Chess. It was Ron’s night to patrol with her.








Hermione sat down beside Ron and, reaching into the pocket of her robes, pulled out two Galleons. Ron and Harry stared at the Galleons then looked up simultaneously at her; their faces etched with questions. Ron spoke first. “What are you giving us these for?” Before she could speak, Harry, quick to grasp the meaning of the coins inquired, “What’s going on Hermione? What’s happened?”








Looking around to be certain they could not be overheard, Hermione leaned in toward them and whispered, “I put a Protean Charm on these.” Ron interrupted with a groan, but was silenced by Hermione’s glare. Continuing in a hushed voice, she proceeded to tell them about her encounter with Malfoy. She purposely left out the part of him grabbing her and her reaction to him.








Ron goggled at Hermione. “You mean to say that you want us to tail Malfoy every spare moment we have?” “That’s the general idea,” Hermione conceded. Harry who had not spoken yet murmured, “So, I’m to keep a look out using the Marauder’s Map and then let you know where he is by putting it on the coins?”








“Precisely,” Hermione responded. “It’s not like you can wander the corridors with us, Harry. You’re not a Prefect. Ron and I don’t patrol the same halls together so you have to notify us somehow so we can secretly observe him.” She looked pointedly at Ron. “What?” he spluttered. “I know you, Ron, and I don’t want you to approach him if you can get near him first. We’ll never discover what he’s up to if you hex him into oblivion. Besides, he’s going to suspect that we’re on to him, so he’ll be extra cautious.”








Ron grumbled under his breath, “Nothing the prat doesn’t deserve.” Harry however spoke quietly. “What if you meet up with him before one of us shows up? What if he sees you?” Hermione shot him a look. “Harry, you cannot be out roaming the halls after hours; you’re not a Prefect.” Sitting up and squaring her shoulders, she went on undaunted. “I can handle Malfoy.” With that, she stood up and made her way to the portrait hole. Peering over her shoulder, she saw them both looking at her. Turning, she stepped through the opening and disappeared.








Down in the Slytherin common room, Malfoy reclined back on the couch lost in his thoughts of the day’s events. Crabbe, Goyle and Zabini were lost in conversation. Pansy was all but sitting on Malfoy’s lap, vying for his attention. “Draco,” she whined, “you’re not listening to me.” Her lower lip stuck out in a familiar Pansy-pout as she attempted to run her hand through his blonde hair. Draco pulled back from her touch and gave her a look of contempt as he pushed her unceremoniously away from him. “Knock it off, Pansy,” he muttered as he stood up. “I’m going to bed,” and strode off toward his dorm, leaving a vexed Pansy staring at his retreating back.








Once in his room, Draco went straight to his bed and pulled the drapes surrounding it closed. He sat on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands. Expelling a large sigh, he shrugged out of his robes, removed his clothes, except his boxers, and climbed under the covers. He lay staring up at the ceiling. He would not be going anywhere tonight. It was a risk he could not afford to take. He knew time was a precious commodity; one he did not have a lot of, but after running into Granger in the hall he knew she would be on the look out for him. He hoped her tenacity wouldn’t bring unneeded attention upon him.








“Damn,” he mumbled and hit the mattress with his right fist. He knew he would have to make up for lost time, but he could not chance it tonight. Surely Granger had told Potter and Weasley how he had acted suspiciously. What else did she tell them? He let out a long breath and closed his eyes. An unwanted vision swam before his eyes as he drifted off into a fitful sleep. She was a determined Gryffindor with curly brown hair.








Chapter 2 Dreams and Secrets by laceymoibella
Author's Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful beta, Social Loner, for all her help, encouragement and for coming up with the title for chapter two. You're the best!

Thanks goes out to my lovely Twin, also, for her wonderful input! You're so good to me!


Most of the week passed uneventfully for Harry, Ron and Hermione. They had kept a vigilant eye on the Marauder’s Map to keep tabs on what Malfoy was up to. Thus far, their efforts had yielded no results.



Harry and Ron were irritable due to lack of knowledge and sleep. Hermione, frustrated as she was, was opting to stay positive, for all their sakes.





Thursday morning before breakfast found them in the Gryffindor common room. “Hermione,” Ron questioned wearily, “are you sure about what you saw?” Even Harry wore a skeptical expression on his face, although he made no comment.





“Yes, Ron,” Hermione replied haughtily. “I know what I saw.” She was still quite raw from the episode the previous Friday, the day before she ran into Draco in the hall, when he had heckled her during the Gryffindor Quidditch team practice.





Hermione had been observing the practice. Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil happened to be there as well. “Oh, I would love to fly as well as they do,” Lavender sighed in awe.





Pavarti noted, “It would be a convenient way to get around. Fun, too.”





Hermione, who inwardly cringed at the thought of flying, commented, “There are better ways of getting around, Lavender. The Floo Network and Apparition for instance.”





“But Hermione, we are too young to Apparate,” Lavender pointed out.





“She’s quite right, Granger,” came a drawling voice from behind the three girls. Hermione, Lavender and Pavarti spun around to look at Draco and those who had accompanied him; Crabbe, Goyle, Zabini and Pansy Parkison. A snigger swept through the Slytherin group.





“What are you doing here, Malfoy? Spying on the Gryffindor Quidditch team or seeking pointers on how to really play the game?” challenged Hermione.





Draco looked around his small group of fellow Slytherins before replying. “Couldn’t help but overhear your opinion on flying, Granger. Don’t you know how exhilarating it is?” Draco said pointedly. “No, I’m sure you don’t. You are a Mudblood, after all, so you wouldn’t dare to fly on a broom. It’s not in your blood,” Draco alleged, causing those around Hermione to snicker. Hermione shot Draco a malevolent look. Draco sniffed in triumph. “Always knew you were below the rest of us.”





Looking around at the Slytherin group, Hermione announced, “I need some fresh air. The air around here has suddenly become distasteful.” Without responding to Draco and his giggling cronies, Hermione stalked off toward the castle.





Even now, almost a week later, Hermione still could not forget the incident. How could he know I detest flying? Hermione wondered to herself. Coming out of her reverie, Hermione stated, “I’m going to breakfast. Are you guys coming?”





Harry and Ron struggled to their feet and trailed behind Hermione as she led the way to the Great Hall.





The day crawled by slowly, it was not over when classes were done. Harry and Ron had Quidditch practice after dinner, Hermione needed to work on an essay for Ancient Runes, and both Hermione and Ron had Prefect duty that night.





At dinner, Ron slumped in his seat while he ate, not even bothering to stifle his yawns. Harry and Hermione looked equally as tired.





Finally, when they had all finished eating, Harry and Ron bid Hermione a hasty good-bye and set off for practice. Hermione gathered up her book bag and left for the library.



It was not long before Hermione’s essay was complete. On her way back to her dormitory, Hermione consulted her watch, and noticed it was only half past seven. Hermione knew that Harry and Ron would still be at Quidditch practice, so there was time for a bath before she had to patrol the halls.





She figured a soak in the luxurious tub located in the Prefects bathroom was just the place since it was only open to Prefects. Solitude would be a nice way to relax; even if it was for only a brief few minutes.





Reaching her dorm, Hermione exchanged the books in her bag for clean clothes. She hurried out through the portrait hole and made her way down to the fifth floor.





As she reached the statue of Boris the Bewildered, Hermione walked past, and tapped on the fourth door to the left of the statue. Upon receiving no answer, she whispered the password, “Lilac blossoms.” The door opened quietly.



After securing the deadbolt on the door, Hermione made her way to the ornate in-ground tub. She turned one of the faucets on, checked the temperature with her hand, and soon an aroma of lilacs filled the air as white bubbles poured into the bathtub.





She disrobed and threw her dirty clothes in a heap by her bag while the tub was filling. Striding back over to the golden tub, Hermione squatted down to test the temperature, stood up and stepped gingerly into the warm, soapy water.





Reveling as the warmth invaded her body, Hermione leaned back against the tub and closed her eyes. She felt the tension ease as her muscles relaxed.





All of a sudden, Hermione’s eyes snapped open. Turning her head to her left, she abruptly sank to her chin into the white foam. “Wha - what are you doing here?” she stammered at the figure standing beside the tub. “H-how did you get in?”





“Really, Granger, did you honestly believe a single deadbolt could keep me out?” Draco sneered. His cool grey eyes left her face and came to rest on the sea of bubbles that covered her body. Face flaming, Hermione realized she could sink no further into the frothy white without submerging her head.





Snickering, Draco bent down, dipping his hand into the water. “Hmmm,” he murmured. “Perfect temp….”





“Don’t even think about getting in,” snarled Hermione.





“Oh, don’t worry, Granger,” drawled Draco. “I’ve already thought about it.” And with that, Draco promptly pulled his robes off over his head, revealing black pants and a bare torso.





Hermione felt her face flush, and turned her head away demanding, “Malfoy! Put your robes back on and get out of here!” Hermione, not wanting to move for fear Draco would view her in all her naked glory, thought frantically.





Brain reeling and heart pumping, Hermione tried to think of a way out of her predicament. Suddenly, she heard him slip into the water to her left. Glancing nervously in Draco’s direction, she saw he had leaned his head back against the tub with his arms stretched out resting along the rim of it. His eyes were closed and he appeared oblivious to her discomfort.





Hermione, trying to measure the distance between her and the fluffy white towel she had laid out for herself, was brought out of her reverie with, “Going to put on a show for me, Granger?” Hermione whipped her head to look at him.





“No, I was thinking of how charming it would be to wrap a towel around your neck,” she quipped.





Draco snorted with laughter, and took the opportunity to slide closer to Hermione. His right hand grazed her shoulder as he did so. Hermione shuddered, although not from revulsion, and slipped away from Draco.





“Come on, Granger,” coaxed Draco. “Don’t you want to be social?”





Hermione retorted, “Not in the way you would like.”





Before Hermione had time to react, Draco swiftly slid next to her and slipped his right arm behind her head and around her shoulders, pulling her firmly to his side.





Stunned, heart beating crazily, Hermione turned her head and looked straight into Draco’s penetrating eyes. A shiver ran uncontrollably through her body and she felt a flutter in her belly.





She could feel his breath on her face. Their faces were mere inches apart. His gaze never left hers. Involuntarily she parted her lips. Draco was leaning his face toward hers. Hermione’s breath caught in her throat. Draco came closer, lowering his lips to hers.





Feeling his lips touch hers, Hermione suddenly sat up. Heart pounding, feeling disoriented, Hermione looked around the empty bathroom. To her relief, Draco was no where in sight. “A dream! It was only a dream!” she gasped.





Disgruntled, Hermione quickly finished bathing. As she climbed out of tub, she stole a look at her watch. It was quarter past eight. Hermione had time to catch the remainder of Harry and Ron’s practice. She toweled off, dried her hair with her wand, threw on her clean clothes and stuffed her dirty laundry into her bag. Hermione snatched up her robes and wand, and went to the door, throwing back the latch. Pulling her robes on as she walked off in the direction of the stairs.





As she descended the stairs, Hermione caught sight of a blond colored head as it skirted out of sight at the top of the fourth floor. Hermione’s heart thumped in her chest. Malfoy! She hustled down the remaining stairs two at a time. Hermione rushed to catch up with Draco. As she reached the top of the fourth floor, she glimpsed Draco disappear around the corner.





Hermione ran as quickly and quietly as she could. As she came to the corner, Hermione drew to a stop. I cannot wait for Ron and Harry; Malfoy could be long gone by then.





Deciding that the opportunity had presented itself, Hermione chose to proceed. Cautiously, she peered around the corner. Malfoy was staring at the mirror that hung on the wall in front of him. Figures, Hermione thought.





Suddenly, Draco looked in her direction. Hermione quickly pulled back, heart pounding. Had Malfoy seen her? Hermione wondered as she stood flattened against the wall and attempted to quell her thundering heart. Hermione took a deep breath and looked around the corner once more.





What she saw made her heart lurch. Draco was disappearing behind the mirror, which Hermione knew acted as a door to a secret passageway. Astounded, Hermione fully emerged into the hall and whisked down the corridor toward mirror. Before she could get there, the mirror swung closed. Hermione stopped in front of it and viewed her reflection staring back at her.





“So, this is what Malfoy has been hiding,” Hermione muttered quietly. How did he know about this passageway? Curiosity filled Hermione as unanswered questions flashed through her brain.





As far as she knew, only Fred, George, Harry, Ron and her knew about the secret passage behind the mirror. Of course the original creators of the map, Padfoot, Prongs, Moony and Wormtail knew it existed, but two were dead, one worked for the Order and the other, a devoted servant to the Dark Lord, was on the run.





Besides, Fred and George had told Harry it had caved in so it was impassable. “If that’s the case, then why is Malfoy using it?” Hermione questioned her reflection. What was he up to?





Before she could stop herself, Hermione whispered, “Dissendium.” and the mirror swung open on silent hinges. Straightening her spine, Hermione stepped forward into the darkness beyond.





Draco, was itching to get to his task that the Dark Lord had given him. He knew he did not have much time before it had to be done; and he knew what was at stake. The Dark Lord had made certain to tell him.





Draco had checked out the secret passage the week before. Once Draco realized what the job had entailed, he had felt overwhelmed. Draco had sought refuge in the loo where he had attempted to comprehend the assignment he had been given by the Dark Lord. Upon departing the loo, after he had regained some semblance, Draco had run into Hermione.





After that awkward interlude, Draco didn’t dare to try and work on the tunnel right away. He feared he might have aroused suspicions in Granger, who had more than likely alerted Potter and Weasley about the incident. Draco had enough on his mind without having to worry about them dodging his every move.





By Thursday evening, Draco had proceeded no further on the Dark Lord’s assignment. After the run in with Hermione, Draco had wanted things to cool off. He didn’t need to have her or her two side kicks, Potter and Weasley, discovering his intentions.





Knowing that Potter and Weasley had Quidditch practice Thursday evening, and assuming Hermione was there as well, Draco headed for the fourth floor. Draco, being a Prefect, knew patrolling began at nine, so he chose to leave the Slytherin common room around quarter past eight.





Draco reached the fourth floor without encountering anyone, and strode quickly down the hall. He turned the corner and came to stand in front of the mirror that hung halfway down the hall on his left.





Draco stared at his reflection. There were dark circles under his eyes and his face appeared quite gaunt. How had it come to this? A sneer crept onto his face as one thought crossed Draco’s mind; Father, that’s how.





Looking up and then back down the corridor to be sure he was alone, Draco whispered, “Dissendium!” The mirror quietly swung to reveal a dark passageway. Draco hastily entered and the mirror closed noiselessly behind him.





Swallowed by the darkness, Draco pulled his wand out of his robes and said, “Lumos!” and the tip of his wand lit the enclosure. Draco moved onward through the tunnel. Twenty feet in, it turned sharply to the right and then stopped abruptly ten feet further. Blocking the path was a pile of rubble, one third of which had been removed.





Reaching into his robes pocket, Draco pulled out a glass jar that was alight with a blue flame. Setting it down on the floor, Draco murmured, “Nox,” and the light at the tip of his wand snuffed out. Draco surveyed the scene before him and pointed his wand at a rock before him. Concentrating, Draco recited, “Evanesco!” The stone turned into a pile of dust. Draco continued to slowly remove the debris, unaware that someone had entered the passageway behind him.









Chapter 3 Enclosed In Darkness by laceymoibella
Author's Notes:

I want to thank my wonderful beta, Social Loner, for working with me on this chapter. You're the best!

Also, I want to thank the very lovely Red and Gold for her superb suggestions on this chapter. You're teh bomb!

Enclosed in darkness, Hermione let her eyes adjust to the change. She discarded the idea of illuminating her surroundings out of concern for being seen before she had the time to comprehend the situation. As Hermione’s eyes got used to the dark she listened intently but could hear nothing.



Slowly, Hermione inched forward, running her right hand along the roughened stone wall. Hermione walked, painstakingly, being cautious of her steps since she didn’t know the layout of the passageway.



As she made her way along, Hermione’s breathing quickened as she began to see a slight flickering up ahead. Hermione’s hand slid over a curve, indicating the tunnel turned to her right. Shadows danced on the walls that were being cast by some sort of light. Hesitantly, Hermione looked around the corner and her mouth dropped open.



Hermione was greeted by the sight of Draco, sitting on the floor of the passage with his elbows resting upon his drawn up knees, face in his hands. Draco’s discarded robes lay on the floor next to him. He had rolled his shirt sleeves up to his elbows.



Hermione heard Draco mutter in what sounded like a miserable voice, “This is insane.”



Why is Draco clearing the rubble? She watched as Draco dropped his hands away from his face and viewed the pile of ruins on his left. Hermione took a cautious step forward.



*****

Draco had immersed himself in removing the debris that blocked the tunnel. He had diligently worked on taking care of a quarter of the pile before he stopped to survey his handiwork. Draco knew the job in front of him was monumental and wondered again how he would ever complete it. It was not like he had loads of time in which he could go away unnoticed. And, he had his Prefect duties to contend with, to say nothing of the curly haired Gryffindor that seemed to intrude into his mind lately. And there is no way that she can find out what I’m doing.



Sinking down to the ground, Draco’s thoughts traveled back to that day in February; the day that had changed his life.



Draco received an owl from his mother one morning at breakfast, along with his sweets. She had instructed Draco to meet her in Hogsmeade the next time Hogwarts allowed the students to go.



Draco, there’s an alley behind the Hogs Head,
meet me there at 1:00 pm. We will go to the Manor
to conduct family business.
Be sure you are not seen
Love, Mother.




Draco had not sent an owl back. He knew it was not a matter choice for him. Draco was expected, and he would be there.



Draco arrived early at the intended spot. Without warning there was a loud ‘Crack!’ beside him and without saying a word, Bellatrix reached out with her claw like hand and clutched Draco’s arm. Before he could blink, Draco felt his feet leave the ground and was soaring.



Draco and Bellatrix Apparated to the parlor of Malfoy Manor. He felt a jolt when he saw who was standing before the blazing fireplace -- Lord Voldemort. A sick feeling filled the pit of Draco’s stomach.



“Draco,” the Dark Lord acknowledged without looking away from the fire. Narcissa was seated upon the love seat, looking deathly pale.



“It has been brought to my attention that there are passageways hidden within Hogwarts that lead to various locations in Hogsmeade,” the Dark Lord declared. Draco stood silent as Voldemort paced before the fire.



“Most are inaccessible to me because I could easily be seen and that cannot be permitted,” the evil wizard stated matter-of-factly. “However, there is one that could allow me to enter Hogwarts undetected. Unfortunately,” Voldemort paused to observe Draco, “that entryway has been rendered impassable, due to a cave in.”



Draco stood speechless, waiting for Lord Voldemort to continue. Draco, who had attended Hogwarts for six years, had no inkling of any secret tunnels leading out of the school. How did Voldemort know about them?



Draco attempted to block his thoughts from the Dark Lord. His aunt, Bellatrix, had been training him for a few months now. But, Voldemort was a far better accomplished Legilimens, and answered his unasked question.



“How do I know it’s caved in?” the Dark Lord said silkily. “Well, it so happens one of my loyal servants was one of the first to have traversed them. He was able to confide in me that this passageway could serve to aid me in my quest to control and conform the Wizarding world.



“As for how I know this certain tunnel is blocked, well, you could say it was too small for even a rat to gain entry through,” Lord Voldemort finished with a flourish of his right hand.



“You, Draco, have access to the secret passage by simply being at Hogwarts. It is located on the fourth floor. The entrance is behind the mirror that adorns the wall. The password is ‘Dissendium,’” the dark wizard extended his right hand toward Draco. “And, since you are your father’s son, it is your duty, is it not, to follow in your dear father’s footsteps?”



The Dark Lord casually strode toward Narcissa. “You, Draco,” the pale faced figure declared, “must remove the rubble that is keeping me from entering Hogwarts.” Draco chanced a look at his mother and noticed how her hands shook.



Voldemort traced a long white finger along Narcissa’s left cheekbone. “You have until the thirteenth of May to complete your task. If you do not have the tunnel ready by then, you have a choice.” The pale fingers slid down to cup Narcissa’s chin.



Though it took a tremendous effort to keep his voice even, Draco asked, “What choice?”



Lord Voldemort attempted a smile, “You could choose an immediate, yet drawn out death for your mother while you watch,” he replied as his grip tightened on Narcissa’s chin, “or your dear, loving mother can witness the slow, brutal demise of her only son.”



The dark wizard left Narcissa’s side and came to stand before Draco. “Your best option, though, would be to get the task done and redeem the Malfoy name,” Voldemort stared directly into Draco’s grey eyes.



Draco watched as the most hated wizard of his era returned to the fireplace. He observed his mother, whose whole body visibly shook, now. Draco, having mustered courage from deep within, managed, “And, if I succeed/?”



A low, menacing laugh filled the room as Lord Voldemort responded, “Then you both shall live. Your lives will be spared and you, Draco, will continue to serve me.” The evil wizard looked toward Bellatrix, “I think young Draco is ready.”




Shaking off the memory, Draco currently let out a shuddering breath as his mind drifted back to the present. Staring at his hands, Draco turned his left arm over so he could view the inside of his forearm.



****


From the shadows, Hermione gasped. Draco snatched up his wand and jumped to his feet as he turned to his right. “Stupefy!” he shouted as he aimed his wand in her direction.



“Expelliarmus!” she replied and Draco saw his wand leave his hand as he was flung back against the rubble, his head smacking hard enough to bring tears to his eyes. As he was lifting his head slightly, Hermione stepped out of the shadows with her arm out in front of her. She saw recognition flare in Draco’s eyes when her head of bushy hair come into his view.



“Granger?” she heard Draco choke out while at the same time she bound his upper arms to his sides with invisible ropes.



Hermione noted Draco followed her movements through squinted eyes as she stooped to retrieve his wand and slip it into the pocket of her robes. She witnessed him struggle against his bindings and he only stopped when Hermione pressed her wand into him.



Looking at her with a malevolent expression Draco snarled, “Do you think you frighten me, Granger?” He laughed hollowly. “Nothing you could possibly do bothers me. So go ahead, give it your best shot.”



Hermione looked on wordlessly and then squatted down beside him. “It’s not up to me to decide your fate, Malfoy, it is Dumbledore’s,” she told him.



Switching her wand to her left hand, which she directed at his chest, Hermione grabbed his left wrist with her right and turned it so she could see the inside of his forearm. Mesmerized, Hermione ran her fingertips over the mark on his arm. She couldn’t suppress the shiver than ran uncontrollably through her simply by touching him. Hermione released his arm and looked at him before solemnly saying, “It is true; you are in allegiance with Voldemort.”



Hermione observed Draco as a shadow flitted across his face. As suddenly as it was there, it was gone, making Hermione wonder if she had imagined it.



Draco disparaged, “Yeah, Granger, now you know. You and your kind will rue the day you were allowed into Hogwarts, much less be born.” When she moved away from him, Draco spat out, “Scared, Mudblood? You should be.”



Hermione reached into her robes and pulled out a coin which she tapped quickly with her wand. Pocketing the Galleon, Hermione advanced on Draco once more. “Get up,” she ordered.



Draco attempted to stand up from his sitting position. “Well, Granger, I would love to but I don’t think I can get up on my own,” Draco admitted grudgingly.



Hermione bent down and clasped Draco’s right hand. Looking directly at her, Draco shoved off from the wall of debris. Swaying, Hermione put her wand hand on his back to steady him. Silently, as though in shock, the two of them viewed one another. Hermione felt her blood course through her veins as she continued to steady Draco.



As Draco peered down at her, Hermione felt an unaccountable urge to stand on her tiptoes and claim his mouth with her own. At that moment, Draco closed his eyes and Hermione was brought out of her inexplicable reverie.



Keeping her wand trained on Draco, Hermione bent to retrieve the jar of light. Straightening up, Hermione placed her wand firmly into his back and commanded, “Walk!” and Draco began their forward trek.



As they neared the entrance, Draco stumbled, dropped to his knees with an, “Ohh,” and sagged his head.



“Draco! What’s the matter?” Hermione questioned in alarm.



“My head…throbs,” Draco moaned. He fell sideways into the wall.



Concern, along with wariness, etched Hermione’s face as she kneeled down beside Draco. As she reached out to feel the back of Draco’s head, he gazed up at her. “Don’t,” he murmured and shut his eyes.



Hermione stopped, her hand poised in mid air. “I’m not falling for one of your tricks, Draco,” she told his inert body. She kept her wand carefully aimed at him in her other hand. Draco didn’t stir. Brow furrowed, Hermione wondered, what is wrong with him?



Ignoring his plea, Hermione felt Draco’s head. A thrill ran through her as she encountered the silkiness of his hair. Gently, Hermione explored the back of his head and found what she was searching for: a lump where Draco’s head had connected with the pile of rocks. She slipped her fingers to check the pulse in his neck. Feeling a strong, beat, Hermione sat back to assess the situation. Her body felt enflamed after touching Draco.



After a moment’s hesitation, Hermione stood and walked to the hidden door. “Dissendium!” The portal opened. Hermione stepped one foot out of the entryway and peered back at Draco who remained still. Glancing up the hall, relief swept through Hermione as she spotted Ron striding toward her, apparently alone.



“Hermione!” Ron stammered, “Wh-what the bloody hell are you doing in there?”



Suddenly, Harry appeared at Ron’s side. Hermione ushered them inside, the mirror closing behind them. She waited for Ron and Harry’s eyes to adjust to the change in lighting.



Noticing Malfoy’s slumped form, Harry spoke first. “Hermione, what’s wrong with Malfoy?”



“Better yet,” Ron looked questioningly at Hermione, “is he dead?”



“No, he’s not dead,” Hermione replied exasperatedly. She proceeded to tell Harry and Ron the recent events that had unfolded.



“So, Malfoy never let on to you what his exact intentions were?” Harry inquired.



“No,” Hermione answered. A low moan came from Draco’s direction. Harry, Ron and Hermione turned to look at him. Draco, who was coming around, blinked when he caught sight of them.



Ron whipped out his wand. “Give me a reason, Malfoy.”



Hermione quickly grabbed Ron’s wand arm. “No, Ron, put it away. Let Dumbledore deal with him.”



Draco sneered, “Go ahead, Weasley. As I’ve already told Granger, nothing you could possibly do, can intimidate me.”



Ron, Harry and Hermione exchanged glances and then Hermione stepped toward Draco. “Nothing funny, Draco,” she warned him as Ron and Harry came to roughly stand Draco on his feet. “You’re going to be under the Invisibility Cloak with Harry, Draco, as we take you to Dumbledore’s office,” Hermione explained. All three had their wands trained on him.



Draco viewed Harry with disgust. “I‘d rather not have to touch you either, Malfoy,” Harry remarked as he gripped Draco’s right arm with his left hand, his wand jabbed into Draco’s side with his right. Ron moved to stand behind both Harry and Draco, his wand aimed at Draco’s back. Hermione covered Harry and Draco with the Invisibility Cloak then twirled around and marched to the portal once more. “Dissendium!” she recited and the mirror swung forward.



They hurriedly climbed out of the passage, and made their way to Dumbledore’s office. “Sugar Quills!” Hermione said to the stone gargoyle, which moved aside to allow access to the upward spiraling marble staircase.


Hermione knocked on the office door. “Come in!” came a muffled reply. Hermione entered first, Ron a few steps behind her.



Smiling, his silver beard twinkling in the light, Dumbledore greeted his guests. “Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company at this hour?”



Ron shifted slightly behind Hermione. “Well, sir,” Hermione started, “I have stumbled upon some illicit activity tonight. I summoned Ron and Harry to help me.”



Dumbledore observed Hermione with a quizzical expression. Suddenly, Draco appeared on Hermione’s right, with Harry still firmly grasping Draco’s right arm. Draco, looking defiant, stood mutely next to Hermione. Hermione explained everything to Dumbledore, including her initial meeting with Draco in the corridor a week before.



When she was finished, Dumbledore remained silent, with his fingers steepled before him, regarding Draco. Finally, he turned to a portrait, “Phineas, please alert Severus, I believe he’s in the dungeon, that I need him to report to my office immediately.”



“Yes, sir,” the old wizard replied and departed from his painting.



Turning to Everard’s portrait, Dumbledore requested, “And, Minerva as well. She should be in her office.” Without replying, Everard immediately left his portrait.



“Now, if you would please wait outside” Dumbledore indicated to Harry, Ron and Hermione, “I would like to speak to Mr. Malfoy alone. And, I no longer think these restraints are required.” Hermione watched as Draco flexed his arms when the unseen ropes that had bound him, fell away.



Harry, Ron and Hermione quietly strode to the door and departed the Headmaster’s office.



Once outside, Harry burst out, “Can you believe this? Malfoy will be in Azkaban before the night is over.”



“Good place for the prat,” Ron snarled.



Hermione was silent. Her brain was reeling from all that had occurred. She knew Malfoy had never made his feelings for Muggles and half-bloods a secret, but to go so far as to become a Death Eater? Hermione couldn’t shake her disbelief.



There was also the factor of how she had reacted to Draco when she had touched him. Draco’s hair was so soft and his lips…

Hermione’s thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of Professors Snape and McGonagall. They rushed past the three into Dumbledore’s office with Snape shutting the door tightly.



Eventually, Professor Snape emerged with Draco, who refused to meet any of their gazes. Professor McGonagall appeared at the doorway and gestured Harry, Ron and Hermione in.



They stopped before the Headmaster’s desk staring inquisitively at Dumbledore. “I will not repeat word for word what Mr. Malfoy has recounted to me, but it is sufficed to say that there are extenuating circumstances behind Mr. Malfoy’s actions.”



Harry spoke. “By that, do you mean that Malfoy was working upon Voldemort’s orders?”



Dumbledore regarded Harry keenly. “Draco was coerced to complete a task that was set for him. A mission that Draco had no choice but to follow considering what was at stake.



“I will divulge only that Draco was ordered to clear the debris that had blocked the secret tunnel you were all in this evening. I will not go into any further detail.”



“You mean you think he’s telling the truth, Professor?” Harry asked disbelievingly.



“I do, Harry,” Dumbledore replied simply. “Draco is currently being escorted to Madam Pomfrey’s. I expect you all to take turns sitting with Mr. Malfoy while he rests in the hospital wing.”



Dumbledore looked at Hermione. “Miss Granger, you will take the first shift. Someone will relieve you in the morning. None of you will speak to anyone concerning the events of tonight. Mr. Weasley, you may return to your Prefect duties. Harry, I expect you to head straight back to your dormitory. Professor McGonagall will escort you there.”



Harry, Ron and Hermione were ushered to the door by Professor McGonagall. None of them had the opportunity to discuss the situation, so each went to their designated areas.



Hermione arrived in short order at the hospital wing in time to witness Madam Pomfrey walking back to her rooms in her nightgown. As she approached Draco’s bedside, she observed how pale he looked.



Pulling up a chair, Hermione sat down close to the bed. Sitting on the edge of her seat, she watched Draco as he slept. What had Voldemort done to make Draco acquiesce to him so completely? Hermione shuddered at the possibilities as they flooded her mind.



Humbled, Hermione sat back in her chair. How could she even think of feeling sorry for Draco? He had never gone easy on her all these years. Still, Hermione found it hard to hold a grudge when she considered the circumstance Draco had been put in by the dark wizard. Voldemort was capable of anything to make certain he got what he wanted.



As she drifted off into a restless sleep, Hermione’s thoughts concerned the blonde haired Slytherin who lay near her.



“Granger, hey Granger.” Hermione jolted awake at the rough voice. Stretching, she bolted up when she realized where she was. Turning her head to the left, Hermione saw Draco staring at her with a strange expression on his face.



“Have a nice sleep?” Draco drawled.



Hermione stifled a yawn before she answered, “Not bad, considering.” She glanced at the clock above the bed; it was five in the morning.



“What do you want?” she asked Draco.



A smile curved Draco’s lips upward. “What are you offering?”



Hermione regarded Draco scathingly, “A rap upside the back of your head.”



“Now, now, that’s not very civil of you, Granger, seeing as how we’re going to be keeping each other company for a while,” Draco drawled his eyes traveling her body.



This was quite a change from the Draco of the night before. Hermione’s heart began pounding uncontrollably at the thought of being in such close quarters with Draco for any extended period of time. “Don’t get used to it,” she quipped.



Smiling wider, Draco sweetly responded, “Oh, I think I’m gong to get very used to being in your company.”



Hermione closed her eyes, since she was not able to trust her voice. Merlin, how was she going to concentrate with him around, talking to her like that? This was Malfoy after all Hermione reminded herself.



Her resolve strengthened after recalling the mark burnt into Draco’s left forearm. “I don’t think I will because as far as I’m concerned, Draco, you’re vapor.”



Hermione watched as the smile receded from Draco’s face and was replaced by an entirely different look; one of hurt and pain.
Chapter 4 Another Side Of You by laceymoibella
Author's Notes:

First, the title of this chapter was inspired by the current single, "Another Side Of You" by country singer, Joe Nichols.

Second, I want to thank my fantastic Twin, the lovely Red and Gold, for stepping in at last minute to beta this chapter for me. You rock!

And lastly, I want to thank all of you, my readers, for being so patient with me while waiting for this latest installment.


Hermione had warred internally with herself throughout the following week. She knew that the harsh words she had spoken to Draco had touched a chord within him. Draco’s expression had confirmed that. “It’s not like he’s acted innocent all his life,” Hermione argued softly to herself.











Hermione looked into the mirror as she washed her hands vigorously. “Hell, look at how he’s treated me over the years,” she stated to her reflection.











Hermione dried her hands and departed the loo. It was Friday night and Hermione was walking the corridors as part of her Prefect duties. She was brought up short by a thought that persisted in wriggling into her brain time and again. What had Voldemort promised would happen if Draco refused to cooperate?











Hermione was well aware of the atrocities the dark wizard had committed. Hermione shuddered every time she considered the torture Voldemort could inflict on others. It’s all about control. Nobody deserved to be forced to go against their beliefs.











Hermione continued with her rounds. How do you know Draco was not a willing participant in all of this? He has not exactly demonstrated love and friendship toward anyone, other than himself Hermione chided herself.











But Dumbledore believed Draco, another part of her brain argued. If Dumbledore didn’t think Draco was acting of his own free will, he would not have agreed to protect him. That internal viewpoint seemed to quell Hermione’s uncertainties for the time being.











Hermione was on the fourth floor, passing the mirror that hid the entrance to the secret passage, when an idea came to her. What if I offered to help Draco? Clearing the tunnel is quite a feat for one person to accomplish.











Then it dawned on her. Voldemort didn’t think Draco would finish the Herculean task. That’s why he assigned it to him. Voldemort doesn’t want Draco to succeed; he wants to punish him.











As the horror of her realization hit her, Hermione ground to a halt in the middle of the hallway. She felt sick as comprehension of what Draco was facing washed over her. How could I not have understood that before now?











The answer was simple, and one Hermione was not proud of. She had allowed her prejudices to cloud her judgment. Hermione had judged Draco according to his parentage and those he kept company with, not who he was as a person. But could she truly say she knew him? Hermione had never conversed with Draco unless hurling insults at one another could be considered conserving.











The answer was ‘no’, Hermione honestly didn’t know Draco. She knew of his actions and appearances, but what if it had all been an act to ensure his own safety? Hermione had experienced slander and hate several times since she had arrived at Hogwarts six years ago.



Hermione admonished herself. I should have known better than to accuse before having all the facts. She was a fact person, after all.











Hermione felt humbled. She had always worked hard so people would notice her for her intelligence rather than her bloodline. She had let pride get in the way of common sense. I need to rectify this.











With her newfound resolve, Hermione resumed her pace, determined to set things straight.











******







“Are you mental?” Ron asked incredulously. Because it was Saturday morning, they were alone in the Gryffindor common room. Everyone else was either asleep or having breakfast.











Hermione had just told Ron and Harry about going to Dumbledore the night before and the conversation she had with him. Hermione glared at Ron. “Think about it Ron. There is no way Malfoy can finish that by himself.”











“Yeah, well, he got himself into that mess, he can get out of it on his own,” Ron declared.











Hermione was taken aback. “How can you say that, Ron? You’re acting no better than Malfoy.”











“Why are you defending Malfoy?” Ron challenged. “What made you suddenly have a change of heart about him? Look at how he’s treated us, especially you, all these years. And, now you’re acting as if he deserves help.”











Hermione chose to ignore his questions and turned to Harry. “I hoped to have your support with this, Harry.”











“I don’t like it,” Ron interjected moodily. “Malfoy’s not a house elf, Hermione.”











“I’m well aware of that, Ron,” Hermione shot back. “Nobody says you have to like it. I simply would like your support with this.”











She looked pleadingly at Harry. She described how she needed them to keep an eye out so she and Draco could safely enter and exit the secret passage without being seen.











“I need you to keep the map with you, along with your Galleon that I placed the Protean Charm on. When we’re through for the night, I will use my fake Galleon and mark ‘done’ on it. You check the map to be sure no one is lurking about in the area. When you confirm it, let me know by changing your coin to ‘clear.’ Then Malfoy and I can depart the tunnel safely. No one can know about this,” Hermione finished.











Ron sat with his arms crossed and a petulant look on his face. “I just don’t get it. Why would Dumbledore agree that you should help Malfoy? Why in bloody hell would you offer?”











“Well, Ron,” Hermione said annoyed, “I would expect that Dumbledore comprehended the consequences Malfoy would face if he didn’t finish opening up the tunnel. Dumbledore implied that it was under dire circumstances that Malfoy accepted the job.











“If Dumbledore thought Malfoy wasn’t being honest with him, do you think he would have allowed me to work with him?” Hermione concluded.











Hermione rounded on Harry. “You, of all people, know what Voldemort is capable of, Harry. Do you honestly think Malfoy merits being tortured or worse yet, killed, simply because he has acted like a git ever since we’ve known him? None of us have ever actually had a decent conversation with Malfoy; how do we know that his actions were sincere and he was not just acting because of who his father is?”











Harry, who had quietly studied Ron and Hermione, spoke, “Hermione, I’m not sure about this. I mean, it is Malfoy after all. I don’t think it’s wise for you to be working alone with Malfoy. How do we know that he isn’t doing this willingly for Voldemort?”











Hermione countered, “Well, we don’t know for certain, do we? But, I think it’s about time we gave him a chance. And, Dumbledore believes him and I trust his judgment.”











Harry looked from Ron to Hermione before he responded. “What if we were to join you?”











“I don’t think that would be a good idea,” Hermione said. “There’s too much hatred between the two of you and Malfoy. No work would get done because you would be at each other’s throats.”











“What I wouldn’t give to knock the prat on his arse,” Ron grumbled.











Hermione ignored Ron and looked inquisitively at Harry. She had made up her mind that she was going to help Draco, even if Harry and Ron refused to work with her.











Harry obviously knew Hermione was not going to back down on the subject. “Fine, we’ll help you Hermione, but I’m still not convinced it’s a good idea.”











Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Harry.” She swiveled to view Ron, who refused to acknowledge Harry’s acceptance of the situation. “Thank you, Ron,” she said.











Now, there was only one other person she had to tell and Hermione knew that Draco would not willingly accept her help. Hermione was steadfast in her decision and Draco was not going to convince her otherwise.















Draco had not shaken his feeling of trepidation that had overcome him since his release from the Hospital Wing on the previous Sunday morning. Even though Dumbledore had assured him he had the protection of the Order, Draco was quite concerned about the dark wizard discovering where his true allegiance lie.











Draco was worried that one misstep would cost him not only his life, but that of his mother’s. Narcissa was a decent mother considering the restraints that had been placed upon her life. She always looked out for Draco and had stood fast in her resolve to keep him close instead of sending him off to the far distant Durmstrang. Draco believed he owed it to her to succeed with his mission.











Dumbledore had ordered Professor Snape to work with Draco on Occlumency. Draco was to practice as often as he could; it was essential in keeping the Dark Lord ignorant of the change in events that had occurred.











Last of all, Draco had been instructed to proceed with clearing the tunnel. Dumbledore had told him that it would be completed by the date Lord Voldemort had set.











“Draco,” Dumbledore began after Draco had told him everything, “it is of the utmost importance that you continue to remove the debris in the passage as planned. It would not bode well if Voldemort found out what has taken place tonight.”











Draco had merely nodded his affirmation of understanding. Even though it had been forced on him, Draco had felt immense relief wash through him after talking to Dumbledore that night. At last, there was an adult in which he had been able to confide in about his dilemma.











Draco had not felt as alone after coming clean about his situation. He had been filled with a sense of hope, which was a new feeling. Draco had been resigned to the fact that he would follow in his family’s wake. Considering generations of his family on both his mother’s and his father’s side, had been dedicated to helping the Dark Lord achieve control over the Wizarding world, no one had ever given Draco any other options in his life.











Not that Lucius or Narcissa’s input would have made a difference. Lord Voldemort always got what he wanted and if anyone got in his way, they would pay the price with their life. That was the fear Voldemort had been certain to instill in all of his followers and those who weren’t.











Unbeknownst to either Narcissa or Lucius, Draco had overheard some of their conversations on occasion when he was home. He knew his parents feared that the Dark Lord would turn his wrath upon Draco for what the he deemed mistakes by either of them.











Narcissa had held out hope far longer than Lucius that Draco would escape the clutches of Lord Voldemort. Even after the evil wizard’s return at the end of Draco’s fourth year at Hogwarts.











That hope soon shattered after the escapade at the Ministry of Magic in which the Prophecy was lost and Lucius was sent to Azkaban at the end of Draco’s fifth year.











Narcissa, Draco knew, had waited with bated breath as to the dark wizard’s next action involving the Malfoy’s. She knew without a doubt that he was furious with Lucius for losing the Prophecy. Narcissa assumed it was a matter of time before he sought out Draco and sent him forth on a mission.











His mother had tried to prepare him for whatever the Dark Lord wanted Draco to do, but neither had anticipated the task that had been chosen for him. Draco had observed the horror etched on Narcissa’s face that fateful day in February when Bellatrix held his left arm to be branded by the Dark Lord.











Now, Draco was going to go against what he had been groomed for his entire life. Dumbledore had offered Draco the opportunity to follow his own beliefs”that muggle borns, half bloods and pure bloods could live together cohesively. There did not have to be separate sides.











Draco had discovered that night that it was not going to be easy to change how others viewed him or that he would be accepted graciously. After all, Draco had bashed muggles for too many years, so why would anyone believe he thought any differently? He had not led them to think otherwise.











Most people knew what his father was, a Death Eater, and so they judged Draco according to Lucius and his actions in the Wizarding community. Hermione’s comment had cut Draco deeply. ‘As far as I’m concerned, Draco, you’re vapor.’











Try as he might, Draco hadn’t been able to keep his mind on his classes all week. He kept replaying the past weekend’s events in his mind. Hermione filled his thoughts as much as the task that needed completion for the Dark Lord.











By the time Draco reached the Great Hall for dinner Saturday night, he was exhausted. He ate quickly and pretended to listen to the conversation at his table. He did not want to be in anybody’s company. Before finishing his meal, Draco decided that he would resume his work in the blocked passageway that night.











It was almost nine o’ clock when Draco surreptitiously made his way to the fourth floor corridor. He continued to the end of the hall to be certain no one was lurking around. Once he was satisfied, Draco stepped up to the mirror and whispered, “Dissendium!” The mirror swung forward and he ducked quickly inside.











“Lumos!” Draco recited, and his wand tip glowed with light. Draco made his way along the passage and was about to turn the corner when he realized he was not alone in the tunnel. He could hear someone murmuring, so he extinguished his wand with a quiet, “Nox!”











Warily, Draco rounded the corner and was brought up short by the sight before his eyes. Hermione was working on removing the pile of rubble. Draco swore under his breath.











“What the hell are you doing here?” Draco demanded out loud.











He watched as Hermione turned toward him. She had taken off her robes, rolled up her sleeves and loosened the tie at her throat. Hermione had placed two glass jars filled with blue flames on either side of the tunnel so she could see to work.











Draco not only felt animosity at that moment toward Hermione but an intense longing as he drank in the sight of Hermione before him. Draco recalled how he had reacted to Hermione’s touch in the tunnel that night when she had helped him to stand.











Hermione had not been accusatory about Draco’s ties to the dark side. She had not belittled him; instead, Draco thought she had seemed disappointed. Her expression while she had steadied him appeared to be one of compassion and caring”something Draco had never encountered from anyone.











Although fleeting, Draco thought he had seen desire in her eyes as well as they had stood there, Hermione, with one hand holding his, the other on his back supporting him. Draco had experienced an inexplicable longing to capture Hermione’s mouth with his.











Now, the familiar condescending smirk etched Draco’s face as he advanced towards Hermione. “You didn’t answer my question,” Draco seethed as he came to a stop in front of her, “Why is it that you always seem to be in the same vicinity as I am, Granger?” As well as constantly in my thoughts, lately? Draco questioned silently.











Draco noticed the spark of indignation creep across Hermione’s face. “Well, Malfoy,” Hermione retorted, “you had better get used to my being around you.”











Confusion settled onto Draco’s face. “What are you babbling about, Granger? Last I knew you wanted to be as far from me as possible.”











Draco stared at Hermione. “What are you up to?” he breathed hotly.











Hermione stood her ground under his hard glare. “There is nothing sneaky going on, Draco,” Hermione felt her face flush, “I figured that you could use some assistance clearing that rubble away,” Draco watched as Hermione inclined her head in the direction of the debris.











He viewed Hermione with suspicion. “Since when do you care about me needing help with anything?” Draco sneered and he stepped so close to Hermione that their faces were millimeters apart.











Hermione stood fast; her gaze never wavered from Draco’s. “Rest assured, I don’t,” she replied.











Draco raised his eyebrows. “Really? Then why are you here?” he pressured.











“I’m here,” Hermione said slowly, “because I care about what happens to Harry and all the students that currently reside at Hogwarts. And, if it means working with you to ensure their safety, then I will.”











Neither of them spoke for a minute, and then Draco drawled, “Well, I am a student here, and since you claim that you care about everyone who attends, I would have to think that you mean me, too, Granger.”











Draco felt Hermione jump as he slid his fingers down her left cheek. “Is that it, Hermione? You used this as an excuse to be close to me?” he whispered.











Draco continued to caress the side of Hermione’s face as he looked down at her. She didn’t shrink away from his touch. The girl, who had stolen into his thoughts countless times over the past few weeks, was right here before him. He didn’t understand why she was willing to lend a hand when he needed it most.











Draco had always known Hermione was different from the other girls he had encountered. She wasn’t afraid to showcase her intelligence, much to the chagrin of her classmates. Draco had always admired Hermione’s courage in that manner though he never dreamed of letting anyone know that; especially not Hermione, whom he had been taught to detest all of his life.











Now, she is here, telling me she is willing to assist me with a task the Dark Lord has forced onto me. Draco felt conflicted. He had strong feelings for Hermione that he figured he shouldn’t have. But doesn’t the way my heart feels, count for anything?











Then, as if ice cold water were thrown upon him, reality crashed down upon Draco as his thoughts hit home. Dear, Merlin! This cannot happen! He pulled away from Hermione and shook his head. He looked at Hermione who appeared startled by his abrupt departure.











Draco ran a hand through his hair and forced himself to dig deep within before he replied, “You can’t be here, so take you busy little nose and let yourself out.”











He watched as Hermione straightened her stance and replied, “I can’t do that. Dumbledore has agreed that you could use some assistance, and here I am,” she revealed.











“What in the hell are you talking about?” Draco asked astonished.











“I talked with Dumbledore and he thought it wise that I help with this,” Hermione waved her hand at the blocked passage.











“Why in Merlin’s name would he have permitted you to work in here with me? That doesn’t make any sense.” Draco stared at Hermione. He felt stunned and sick. “I am not going to be made responsible for you,” he told her.











“You don’t have to be,” Hermione shot back, “I can take care of myself.”











Hermione looked at Draco and took a deep breath. “Dumbledore and I conversed about the necessity of opening up this tunnel. He agreed that you could get it done quicker if someone were to aid you. So, I am here to help you.”











Draco stared at Hermione. Was Dumbledore insane? He knows what the Dark Lord is like. Draco grabbed Hermione’s arm. “Like bloody hell you are! Come on, we’re paying Dumbledore a visit.”











Hermione quickly stooped to grab her robes as Draco pulled her along. “Lumos!” Draco cried and they made their way quickly to the entrance.











“Dissendium!” Draco snarled and the mirror swung forward.











Hermione scrambled after Draco as they exited the tunnel and hurried to catch up to him. Upon reaching Draco, he snapped at her, “Don’t tell me Potter and Weasley are assigned to helping me, too? That simply isn’t going to happen.”







“For your information,” Hermione said breathlessly, “I turned down Ron and Harry’s offer to accompany us while we work.”











Draco looked sideways at Hermione, “Damn good thing because I couldn’t handle being in their company, one on one, for any length of time.”











Hermione didn’t respond so they walked silently the rest of the way until they reached the stone gargoyle that sat at the entrance to Dumbledore’s office.











“Sugar quills,” Hermione said and the sentry moved aside to allow them to pass.











Draco was quiet as they ascended the marble staircase. Hermione rapped quickly on the closed door when they reached it. “Come in,” called a muffled voice.











Draco seized the door and Hermione preceded him into the room. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk. “Ah, Miss Granger, Mr. Malfoy. I am beginning to think you enjoy the company of an old man such as myself since you have been here numerous times as of late,” a smile crinkled the corners of Dumbledore’s mouth.











“Please, have a seat,” Dumbledore gestured and two chairs appeared before his desk. Tell me, are you here for my company or are there more pressing matters at hand?” Dumbledore queried with a twinkle in his eyes.











Hermione and Draco sat down. Draco was aware that Hermione was looking at him but he ignored her. “Professor,” Draco began, “Gr-Hermione, just informed me that she approached you about wanting to help with getting the tunnel cleared and that you have permitted her to do so.”











“Miss Granger is quite right, Mr. Malfoy,” Dumbledore acquiesced.











“Forgive me, Professor, but I am not in agreement with Hermione aiding me,” Draco challenged.











Dumbledore viewed both students quietly before he stated, “Allow me the liberty of providing you with some details, Mr. Malfoy.” Dumbledore sat back in his chair and focused his attention on Draco.











“Miss Granger came to me earlier and graciously suggested she aid you in the task that you have been fervently working on.” He put up a hand to stop Draco from interrupting when he attempted to speak.











“Please, let me finish, Mr. Malfoy.” Dumbledore continued, “Miss Granger impressed upon me the importance of her lending you a hand in order to finish the job by the date set for you. Her argument was quite persuasive, I might add,” Dumbledore smiled at Hermione, whom Draco noticed, blushed quite furiously.











“As Miss Granger pointed out to me, with her help, the passage would be finished sooner, thereby allowing us more time to implement plans and prepare ourselves for the impending doom that Voldemort seems quite intent on delivering to Hogwarts and society in general.











“By working together, we can diminish the actions Voldemort believes he must impose on us,” Dumbledore finished. He observed Draco intently.











Draco could not determine why Hermione would be willing to help him. Was she sincere about her actions? What was in it for her?











“I fully believe Miss Granger’s motives in assisting you, Mr. Malfoy, to be completely genuine. And, in due time, you will discover the precise nature for her reasons behind helping you,” Dumbledore looked from Draco to Hermione.











Draco’s mind swirled. Why would Hermione willingly propose to help me in anything; much less with a mission set for me by the Dark Lord? I still do not understand Dumbledore’s decision to allow her to help. Draco took a deep breath and expelled it.











Draco thought for a moment and then, “I don’t think this is a good idea, Professor. I don’t need to be responsible for another person.”











“And,” Draco glanced at Hermione before he continued, “I am not convinced that Hermione and I can get past our differences.”











Draco observed Dumbledore as the Head Master sat back in his chair, placed his hands together as if in prayer and appeared to gather his thoughts. Draco waited impatiently for Dumbledore to reply.











“I believe that Miss Granger can handle herself quite well, Mr. Malfoy. I believe that it is in everyone’s best interest if you completed your assignment before the time allotted.











“Furthermore, I believe the opportunity has presented itself in which two students, from two entirely different backgrounds, can put their dissensions aside for the greater good of the Wizarding community,” Dumbledore replied.











Dumbledore leaned forward. “I understand your reservations concerning the matter, Mr. Malfoy, but I think that you will discover that this situation will have gratifying results because you and Miss Granger will be working together.”











Stymied, Draco remained silent. He felt that no matter what argument he posed, Dumbledore was not going to relent and remove Hermione from his task.











When neither Draco nor Hermione moved to say anything else, Dumbledore exclaimed with a resounding clap of his hands, “Well then, I think I have taken up enough of your time. I will bid you both good night and good luck,” and with that, Draco and Hermione were excused. They stood up and departed the Headmaster’s quarters.











It was a long ride down the stairwell for Draco. There were so many unanswered questions he wanted to ask Hermione but he didn’t know where to begin. He was not keen about the fact of Hermione being in on a job that had been the Dark Lord’s idea. As they reached the hallway once more, Hermione turned to face him.











“You don’t have to like this,” she began, “but the way I see it, you didn’t have any other options.”











Draco studied Hermione before replying. “You’re right, I don’t like it. And, you have left me no other choice but to let you work with me since you chose to go to Dumbledore with your crazy scheme before consulting me.”











Hermione snorted. “Like you would have gone along with my idea.”











“Precisely,” Draco ground out. “I never would have agreed. I would have made sure you didn’t run to Dumbledore with your insane plot to help me.”











“Well, there’s nothing you can do about it now, is there, Malfoy?” Hermione retorted.











Draco gave her a malevolent look. “Unfortunately not.”











Draco watched Hermione. “We’d better get this over with,” he spoke in a low voice. He walked determinedly in the direction of the fourth floor, Hermione hurrying to catch up. As they reached the mirror, Draco watched Hermione slip her hand into her robes pocket.











Hermione checked the coin in her hand, tapped it with her wand, waited a minute and then muttered, “The coast is clear,” and strode toward the mirror.











Draco followed and once he reached the mirror, out of habit, he glanced up and down the hall before stating, “Dissendium!”











The portal opened and the two scrambled inside. The mirror swung closed and Draco and Hermione were encased in darkness.











“Lumos!” they said together and the tips of their wands lit up. Draco and Hermione proceeded wordlessly down the tunnel. They turned the corner of the tunnel and halted as they viewed the blocked passage.











There was still much to be done and it was evident that it would not be completed right away. Draco pulled his robes off over his head and dropped them off to the side. Quietly he rolled up his shirt sleeves. “What?” he asked as he noticed for the first time that Hermione was staring at him.











“Nothing,” Hermione murmured and followed suit by dispelling her own robes.











Draco watched, mesmerized, as she did this. Hermione’s skirt had pulled up, exposing a little more of her leg than usual. Draco swallowed. His mouth suddenly felt dry.











“Let’s get to work,” he rasped out and focused his attention on the pile of rocks in front of him.











Hermione and Draco worked side by side for a while with the only words uttered were, “Evanesco!” as they worked to remove the debris.











Finally, Draco asked the question that had been nagging him. “Why?” he asked simply.











Hermione, who seemed startled by his question, faltered and said, “Excuse me? Why what?”











Draco lowered his wand and turned to face Hermione. “Why did you offer to help me? I don’t get it! The other night you told me you couldn’t stand to be around me so much that I didn’t exist to you. What changed your mind?”











Hermione appeared at a loss for words. How unusual, Draco thought. She looked directly into Draco’s grey eyes and stammered, “I-I,”











Draco arched his eyebrow. “What, no witty comeback, Granger?”











He noticed that her eyes flitted away desperately as she struggled to come up with an explanation. Draco was not going to let her off easy. “I can wait all night, Granger,” he leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms in front of himself.











Draco looked down at Hermione. She was an enigma to him. They had never been friends. They openly sparred with one another in front of others. So, why was Granger so eager to be here helping? The unanswered question burned within Draco.











Hermione faced Draco. “I have been friends with Harry long enough, and been through too many incidents in which Lord Voldemort was involved, that I am not blind to the lengths he will go to, to get the end results he desires.”











Draco remained as he was against the wall for several minutes. Then, he pushed himself away from it and approached her. Draco noticed that Hermione eyed him warily; her wand was clutched so tightly in her right hand, that her knuckles were white.











Draco peered questioningly at her. “If you know what he is capable of, why put yourself in harm’s way?” he asked.











“If I don’t make a stand, then I am allowing him to think he has power over others like me,” Hermione stated. “After all, that is what he wants; to suppress those of muggle descent and to control the Wizarding world.”











Draco, satisfied with Hermione’s answer, turned toward the pile and began the painstaking job of vanishing the debris. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Hermione join him to his right and follow his lead.











Draco was not sure how long he and Hermione worked. It did not seem as though the pile of rubble had diminished much. He lifted his left hand to push his hair back from his face.











“How long have you had it?” he heard her ask.











Draco, startled by her voice, looked at her. “Had what?”











Hermione pointed to his left arm. “The Dark Mark? When did you get it?”











Draco turned the inside of his arm up and looked at it. Finally, he turned his gaze upon Hermione.











“Since February, when we had our last outing to Hogsmeade,” Draco admitted in a subdued voice.











“I had no idea what was going to occur that day. I mean, I knew that the Dark Lord anticipated I would one day follow in my father’s footsteps. Hell, I had been groomed for it all of my life, but I had hoped that somehow I would be spared this defamation,” Draco flicked his arm where the mark tarnished it.











He laughed hollowly before continuing, “Fat lot of good wishing did.”











Hermione replied. “If it weren’t for hope, you would have had nothing.”











“And, what do I have now?” Draco asked. “Everyone who sees this will make their own assumptions. They won’t waste any time in judging me for what they see here,” and he waved his left arm in the air.











“By having the protection of the Order, you have the chance to live your life the way you want. Not one that was chosen for you. And, if people base their decision about you on that,” Hermione motioned toward his arm, “more the fools are they.”











Draco simply stared at Hermione. She appeared nonplussed and hastily checked her watch.











“It’s pretty late. Why don’t we call it a night? We can resume this tomorrow night,” she suggested.











Draco nodded his head. “Fine with me.”











They donned their robes and Hermione picked up the glass jars and placed them in an inner pocket inside of her robes. They lit their wands and proceeded silently toward the exit.











Hermione paused briefly to pull out her Galleon and check it. Once she was satisfied, Hermione strode to the door and muttered, “Dissendium.”











Upon reaching the end of the corridor, Hermione and Draco went their separate ways to their respectful dorms.















Sunday morning found Hermione up early. She had not slept much. The previous night played continuously through her mind. Though she replayed the scene where Draco had caressed her face, their conversation upon returning to the passageway was more prominent in her brain.











When Draco had questioned her, Hermione had felt like a deer caught in the head lights of an oncoming car. She knew that Draco would eventually ask her what had motivated her to offer to aid him, but had not expected it that soon. Hermione knew she had to explain her actions to Draco. If she didn’t, it would continue to hang between them and possibly cause further resentment to build. After all, isn’t that why she went to Dumbledore in the first place? To end the contention between herself and Draco?











Although Hermione didn’t like to admit when she was wrong, she quietly conceded that Draco deserved an answer. She recalled the look on Draco’s face as she explained why she was there helping him. He had seemed to accept her reasoning. She was not ready to tell him that she had concluded how unfair she had been in judging him; like so many had judged her for having muggle parents.















Curiosity had gotten the better of her, and Hermione hadn’t hesitated in asking him about the Dark Mark. She could still plainly see his tortured expression as he told her about the mark on his arm. Hermione felt the same emotions rise within her again: pity, humility, and sadness.











Draco’s words had struck a chord within Hermione. She pitied Draco for not having the power to call the shots in his life. She felt immense shame for having been one of the people Draco had referred to in jumping to conclusions. Hermione experienced a profound sadness that Draco’s parents had not sought better opportunities for their only child in which to lead his life. Nor had the elder Malfoys shielded Draco from the atrocities Voldemort inflicted upon others.











Hermione dressed quietly so as not to wake the other girls in her dorm room. She made her way to the common room which was devoid of anyone since it was so early. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon when Hermione decided to take a walk on the grounds to see if it would calm her.











She made her way outside without running into anyone. Hermione walked around the Black Lake, coming to a stop within a small copse of trees that shielded her from view of the castle. Her thoughts ran rampant in her head.







Hermione’s heart picked up its pace at the mere thought of being in close proximity to Draco again. She thought of the conversation they had upon returning to the tunnel. It had been their first one in which they had not ripped into one another. That’s an accomplishment in itself Hermione decided.











Then, there was the fact that Hermione could not comprehend what overcame her every time she and Draco brushed against one another. A thrill, one that she had never experienced even with Viktor Krum, coursed through her when they touched. Thinking about Draco, even now, filled Hermione with an indescribable emotion.











Hermione stared out across the lake. Its surface was as smooth as glass. It belied what lay underneath. Much like my own heart Hermione thought derisively. The sun’s rays were a contrast to the slight chill that hung in the air. Hermione pulled her robes tighter around her.











Lost deep in thought, Hermione didn’t hear the person advancing on her until she felt a hand on her shoulder. She jumped and whirled to see who was next to her. Hermione regarded the boy who stood beside her with surprise. She noticed how tired he looked. I can only imagine the stress he has been under.











“What are you doing here, Malfoy?” Hermione inquired.







“I could ask the same of you,” Draco replied.











Hermione shivered under his penetrating stare. Turning her face slightly away from him, Hermione replied tiredly, “I needed some time by myself to think.”











“Tell me,” Draco insisted, “Am I part of those thoughts?”











Hermione gaped at him. “Oh, for Merlin’s sake! Do you think that everything pertains to you?”











Draco shrugged. “Most generally. I have a way on insinuating myself into the mind of others.”











Hermione huffed, “Just because we are working together doesn’t mean that you are what my entire thoughts consist of.”











Hermione stuck her chin up slightly and took on a defensive air. She stiffened as she heard Draco chuckle.











“You can’t fool me, Granger,” Draco challenged.











Hermione felt a blush creep into her face. “You really think that you’re all that, don’t you Malfoy? I always knew you were conceited but I didn’t realize just how much you were wrapped up in yourself.”











Hermione was surprised as Draco suddenly reached out and cupped her chin. His touch was gentle and Hermione felt her heart fluttering in her chest at the contact. She witnessed Draco’s eyes darken as he studied her.











Hermione barely heard Draco’s words as he dropped his hand away and stated, “We’ll meet at nine o’clock tonight by the mirror. That way we’ll be able to get in before the Hufflepuff Prefects get to that floor.”











Hermione, still thinking of his hand on her chin, responded, “Um, yes, that’s fine.”











She witnessed the strange look Draco gave her but he made no comment.











Gathering her wits, Hermione said, “I must be going. Breakfast must be well under way by now. Until later, then,” Hermione turned and hurried toward the castle not seeing the look Draco gave her departing back.















This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=67153