The Longest Night of the Year by Cedrics Lover
Summary: Four 5th year girls, each with different struggles, trying to make it through another year of Hogwarts. This year, though, they face a challenge that could tear their friendships apart. With the Triwizard Tournament, The Yule Ball, cute boys (Oh No!), and a plethora of other things, it's survival of the fittest at Hogwarts this year. Are they going to make it? I'm not going to tell you, you need to read it to find out for yourself! This is my first fan fic, please read and review. Also, check out the companion, A Prank A Day Keeps the Doctor Away, by Marmara.
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2677 Read: 1819 Published: 06/03/07 Updated: 06/09/07

1. Chapter 1: Letters and Customers by Cedrics Lover

Chapter 1: Letters and Customers by Cedrics Lover
Author's Notes:
I know everyone gets tired of hearing this, but I don't own HP, JKR owns that. I own the plot, Serena, and any other made up character. Except Marmara. Marmara owns Marmara. (go figure) And Suki and Ruan own Suki and Ruan, and, ok, Rorack owns Rorack, but I own all the other made up characters. Also-I'm sorry that it's not too horribly funny at first. I just couldn't make this beginning part funnier, but around chapter 8 it becomes a full-blown humor fic. Don't worry, humor lovers--your time will come! For now, enjoy!
August 23-2:15 pm.

Hey! This is Serena Harris here! Don’t know why exactly I’m saying that since I’m the only one who will EVER read this…oh well.


So, for an introduction of myself, from myself, to myself…


My name is Serena Harris. I’m 15 years old and I’m going to be attending my 5th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am in Hufflepuff. I'm half-and-half. My dad was half-and-half, and my mom was a witch (she didn't go to Hogwarts, though, and I can't figure out where exactly she went.) I am a Chaser on the Quidditch team. My father runs the famous bookstore here in Diagon Alley, Flourish and Blotts. It gets really hectic this time of year (right before school starts), so I have almost NO spare time…but I have a few minutes now…until my dad calls me.

Actually--I just remembered that I need to mention something about my blood: we don't know exactly what I am, and my dad doesn't either. Here--let me explain.:

My mother's parents are both wizards. My father's parents are a Muggle and a witch. HOWEVER--my dad was adopted. And his mother was a witch, but we don't know about his dad. His mother looked pregnant, my grandma says, so we think he may have a brother or sister that we just don't know about. He was about 3 or 4 when my grandparents took him in. My REAL grandma said to name him Samuel, Sam for short, and Thomas for his middle name, after his father. She told us that his father's real name was Tom, but Samuel Thomas sounded better than Samuel Tom. She said to take my grandparents last name as his last name, so they did (Harris). I know about a lot of Muggle things because my grandfather is a Muggle. My grandmother is a witch. It's funny to watch my grandpa try to understand the ways of the wizard.

My parents met...somewhere. I don't know--I've never really asked. I THINK they met in Hogsmeade, but I can't remember ever being told. Anyway, they moved into Flourish and Blotts, after my dad buying the building. Five years after they were married, out popped Amy. One year later, out popped me. I've always lived in the Shop...so as you can well imagine I've loved reading as long as I've lived on God's green earth. So yeah--I know I'm not Muggleborn, because my mother's parents are both magic, but I'm really not sure on my dad's side.

I hear something really interesting is supposed to happen this year at Hogwarts, but it’s apparently top secret, so no one will tell me what it is. Great, huh? Ruan, Marmara, Suki, and I are all trying to figure out what it is. Oh, I suppose I should introduce them…

Ruan is 15 (like me). Her birthday is April 4th. She’s in Slytherin (but she’s really nice!) She's in Slytherin because she is witty and stuff. She did not know any better when she started at Hogwarts because her family is very pro-Slyterin, but she then saw how terrible it was and became our friends. We became friends because we always used to sit together in class, because she felt uncomfortable around other Slytherins. She has a crush on Neville Longbottom.

Marmara is 15 (like me). Her birthday is January 27, but a year before us, so she’ll be 16 in January. She’s in Ravenclaw. She was adopted, and in March of our first year, her mother adopted a boy--Rorack. He's from Canada. He's in his fourth year this year, but he's 15--since he moved here when he was 11, he started Hogwarts a year late. He's a real prankster and almost never helps out his poor sister. Anyway...Marg and I know each other because her mum runs Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. Her mum and my dad talk a lot, and as kids we were always thrown together on playdates so our parents could talk. She's very strange, but awesome! She has the HUGEST crush on George Weasley.

Suki is 15 (ok, so all of us are 15). Her birthday is June 1st. She’s 29 days older than me (I’m June 30th). She’s in Gryffindor. She isn't too horribly brave, so we like to (playfully) tease her about her 'true Gryffindor bravery.’ She became my friend because we'd have classes together and we'd sit by each other because she always sat alone, so I would sit with her. Her crush, Andrew, is in our year, in Gryffindor.

I know it’s really strange, but we’re best friends. The only thing is, since we’re all in different houses, the only time we get to see each other is in classes and passing time. So we mostly go to the library, but we are too loud and get kicked out (we are hoping to find a meeting spot this year.)

Mum is going to take my sister Amy to Flitwick to get a change in her schedule. She wants to have potions but she can’t, because she got an E. She’s hoping Flitwick will talk things out with Snape to help make an exception, since Amy's in Ravenclaw.

Amy is 16, and she'll be starting her 6th year. She got mainly O's and a couple E's on her O.W.Ls; we're all SO proud of her.

Oh, shoot, my dad is calling me. He says there are a ton of people needing to be waited on. Oh well, I’ll be back later!

Serena M. Harris


Serena ran down the stairs to the bookstore. “Yes, daddy?” She asked.

“I have about a gazillion customers! I need your help!” He answered.

“Yes daddy.”

Serena had been working for hours, or what seemed like it to her. In that time Serena had seen a few students from Hogwarts that she had recognized (mainly Hufflepuffs), like Justin Finch-Fletchly, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, and Ernie Macmillan. Serena glanced up at the clock and groaned.

“One more hour until closing time?! This is mad!” Serena grumbled aloud.

“Honey, I will be in the back getting more books, we are almost out of Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2!” Serena’s dad yelled. “Can you cover the cash register?”

“If I must!” she called back.

Serena really hated working in her dad’s shop. She loved having an entire book store at her leisure, but she really much preferred reading the books, not selling them. Her parents don’t hire a shop aide; they just use her and Amy, the latter being gone today. Of course, she was a hard worker, that’s why she’s in Hufflepuff.

15 uneventful minutes passed. No one entered the shop in that time. Serena decided that if no one was going to come, she could read her Muggle book, Gone With the Wind. She was just finishing the five-page conversation about why Scarlett didn't ask the twins to supper when something hit her on the head! Serena began looking for the source of the disturbance. Finally, she found a little muggle paper airplane (or that’s what she thought it was). “Marmara,” Serena said, smiling and shaking her head as she opened the Muggle contraption and read what it said.

Hey you!

I see that you are taking your work very seriously. ; P. So, O reading one, what have you been doing today? Have you seen him? From that longing look on your face, I'd say probably not. Why don’t you just go up to him and tell him that you like him!?! : P Ha ha. Well I guess it is bad luck for both of us, I did not get to see George (I don't think that he has gone shopping, he might go after the World Cup). OH, I forgot to ask you; what are we going to do for the world cup, and when do you think that our letters are coming?

So, I will come in around closing time, no, wait--darn, I have to close up the shop (Mum is going to take Rorack to Flitwick to talk about all the trouble he got into last year. I doubt it will help, knowing Rorack.)

OK, so I will see you after I close the shop (I can only send this to you because mum needs some more black cloth for all the Hogwarts students, so she's in the back. Oh, what fun. I’ll be back in person as soon as I can.)

I will stop on the way back. So hurry up and start writing!

Marg (Marmara)


Serena sighed. Her friend could be very weird and hyper at times, but she loved her anyway. She rummaged around and found a quill and piece of parchment.

Right back at you!

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been taking work seriously. Since there is no work, there was no need to be serious! (Har har). I HAVE BEEN DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! No, I haven’t seen him yet. But considering he hasn’t been here yet and school starts in a week, he’s bound to come sometime soon. I can’t just tell him that I like him! He’s two years older than me and I think he likes someone else! HA HA you missed George!! You are so weird, you love him! I don’t know about the Cup, I need to ask my dad. I also have no idea when the letters are due in, I hope soon! I have to stay here until closing time too, so come as soon as you can.

Serena (Marg, I know your nick name, I helped give it to you!)


Serena folded up the note and went outside to meet with Marmara. She had only been waiting a few minutes when she saw Marmara running up the street. Marmara was a very attractive girl. She had beautiful golden-brown hair that fell to about to the end of her shoulder blades. She was well suited for her name (which sounded like a beach and meant radiant. It's also a sea near Greece.). Marmara also had a way with boys; she was very nice and really funny. Most of the boys Serena’s year wanted to go out with her (though Serena wasn't unpopular with the boys either). Marmara was a really good friend, sometimes a little to over-protective and a litter too hyper on many occasions, but a true friend and great person.

“Here you go.” Serena said when Marmara was standing right beside her, handing her the note, “Now hurry up and close up your mum’s shop.”

“Yes, mother,” said Marmara, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Hey, Marg, lighten up. I don’t want you to get into any trou--” Serena was cut off by her dad calling her name. “See? You got me into trouble! I’ll see you later.”

Marmara chuckled. “Bye!” she called, and then hurried down the street to close their shop.

“Serena, get back in here! You can talk to your friend later!” Her dad called, as Serena ran into the shop “We are going to stay open for another hour. All the shops in Diagon Alley are, so we will too.”

Serena groaned. “Great,” she thought. “Another hour of sitting and doing nothing. Yippie!”

After working for another fifteen minutes or so, Serena was just thinking “Can it get any worse?” when it did. A whole gaggle of Slytherins (the ones she hated, not the nice ones like Ruan) walked in, looked around, saw her, and walked over to her. Draco Malfoy stepped forward.

“Hey book girl!” he yelled, causing all of his friends to laugh, “We all need our course books! Get them for us!” She was about to call them some really nasty things, but her father showed up and said,

“Serena, it’s almost closing time. Just do it. Please.” She felt like punching his face out.

“Dad! This is the whole 4th year of Slytherins!” she argued.

“Serena! Now!”

She knew from his tone of voice that he was about to get really angry, so she set to work getting all of the books. She had the last set in her arms as she was hurrying about the shop. She was almost back to the Slytherins when she bumped into Cedric Diggory, the boy she had loved since 2nd year (but he didn’t know it), and was the 'him' Serena and Marg had been referring to in their letters. Naturally, she dropped all of the books. She ducked down to pick them all up, repeatedly apologizing to Cedric for bumping into him. He said, “Honestly Serena, relax! Let me help you…”

“Oh thanks.” Serena said, blushing furiously, as she bent down to get the fallen books. Serena felt her face burn as she looked in to Cedric’s eyes and took the books back as quickly as she could, so she could look away. “Oh, sorry, can I help you find anything?” Serena said, still blushing.

“Yeah… where are the N.E.W.T. Transfiguration course books?” Cedric inquired, as he looked down quizzically at Serena, perhaps wondering why Serena was acting in this way.

“They are over this way.” Serena said, as she led the way over to the 7th year books. “So you are taking Transfiguration this year?” His classes Serena, who cares about classes in the middle of the break? Serena mentally scolded herself.

“Apparently,” Cedric said, raising his eyebrows and smiling. She smiled back.

“Hey, lover-girl, hurry up with our books!” Draco called. His friends sniggered.

"For God Sakes I'm coming!" she yelled, blushing furiously.

"Thanks, Serena!" Cedric called to her as she hurried over to Draco and his cronies.

"You're welcome!" she yelled back to him. Score for me! She thought happily. Of course, then she had to face Slytherin ridicule. God dang it! She mentally screamed. Why are Slytherins always such gits??? (With the exception of Ruan, of course!) She finished gathering all of the books she had dropped and walked over to Draco and all of the other Slytherins.

“So,” Draco drawled, “How long have the two of you been a couple?”

“The same amount of time that the word ‘gullible’ has been on the ceiling.” Serena replied, handing him his books, and said, “That will be 5 galleons, 10 sickles, and 3 knuts. Take those up to the register, please.” And with that, she whisked past him and giggled as Crabbe and Goyle were still staring at the ceiling.

“OK, Serena!” her dad called. “Time to close the shop!” Serena happily ran upstairs to get her diary.

Same day, 5:32 pm.

It’s me! I’m back from a hard, hard, work day at the shop. I only have a few minutes, and then I’m going to find Marmara (I’m sure her shop is closed by now.)

I finally saw Cedric! I love him SOOOOOOO much! I wish I could tell him that!

Tomorrow I know Suki is coming to do her back-to-school shopping. Ruan will come sometime soon, but I think she’ll probably be with her parents, so we’ll have to meet later without them. I don’t know why her parents hate us so much. But Ruan loves us. That’s all that matters.

OK, I’m off to find Marmara. I’ll write again tomorrow, if not later today.

Serena M. Harris


* * *


Author's Note: So, there you have it. My first fan fic. I'd like to thank Marmara for helping me with all the formatting, and for nagging me to finish it when I was being lazy. I'd also like to thank EVERYONE who helped in the editing process! OK, now, you see the little white box? Type a review in it. Then, see the little button that says 'submit'? CLICK ON IT! I need reviews to know whether or not anyone actually reads it!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=68039