Muggle Studies -- The Muggle Way II-Ballet by I_LUV_MOONY
Summary: The Marauders are back in their second day of their dance-based curriculum, and it's time to pull on the tights. And that's not all: Tara found out that she's not the only girl Sirius has dated that week. What drastic measures will Sirius have to resort to to win her back?



This is the sequel to Muggle Studies -- The Muggle Way. Please read that one first.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: Book 7 Disregarded
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3847 Read: 6216 Published: 07/26/07 Updated: 09/13/07

1. Sirius' Relationships (or lack thereof?) by I_LUV_MOONY

2. The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth by I_LUV_MOONY

3. Of Feuding Couples (and the odd one out) by I_LUV_MOONY

Sirius' Relationships (or lack thereof?) by I_LUV_MOONY
Author's Notes:
Yep, that's right! I'm back with a sequel, and it's better than ever. Reviews are always appreciated. Last warning: read the first story first.

STUDENTS IN THIRD OR FOURTH YEAR MUGGLE STUDIES MUST PARTAKE IN A MANDATORY BALLET CLASS TO BE HELD DURING YOUR SCHEDULED CLASS TIME NO WANDS ALLOWED. Class is Wednesday. February 15.

“Ballet?” asked Sirius incredulously.

The Marauders, along with Gwen, Lily, and Tara, had just gotten back from their escapade in the Room of Requirement. They were going up to their respective dormitories when Lily saw the notice on the bulletin board. Remus’ arm was around Gwen, Sirius’ was around Tara, and James was trying slyly to get his arm around Lily.

“Ballet,” confirmed James shakily.

The group exchanged fearful glances. Well, except Gwen and Remus, who were exchanging glances of delight.

“Why do you guys look so cheerful?” asked Tara gloomily.

“We’ve already taken ballet classes,” said Remus.

“And I’m good at it,” said Gwen. She nudged Remus as she added, “I can’t vouch for him, though.”

The rest laughed. James chose this moment to get his arm around Lily; he got his hand smacked instead.

“Why can’t we do something normal?” Sirius complained.

“Can dance even be considered normal?” asked James, “It’s tedious and boring.”

Lily glared at him. “I like it,” she said defensively, “And I was hoping Remus and Gwen would teach us some other types of ballroom, but if you think it’s tedious and boring...”

“No, no, I like it, I like it,” said James hastily.

“We’d be happy to teach you,” reassured Gwen.

Peter looked at his watch briefly then said, “Do you guys realize that it’s after midnight? We should get to bed.”

Tara yawned. “Peter’s right.”

Tara’s yawn quickly spread throughout the group. “Good night, everyone,” said James through a yawn, “Good night, Evans.”

“Night, Potter,” said Lily curtly. “Good night, everyone,” she added with a lighter tone. James and Lily went to their dorms.

“Good night, Guinevere,” said Remus. He quickly pecked her on the lips.

“Good night, Remus,” she answered softly. She pulled him into a hug then went upstairs. Remus followed James’ path.

“Good night,” said Peter. He yawned as he went up the staircase.

“So,” said Sirius suavely as he wrapped his arms around his new girlfriend.

“So,” replied Tara as she put her hands on his shoulders.

“I’ll be seeing you tomorrow, right?” he asked.

“Of course,” she answered.

“Good night,” he said.

“Good night,” she replied. She gave him a hug and hurried to her dormitory before he could kiss her.

“What the...?” Sirius asked the darkness. He gave his head a little shake as he went to his dorm for some sleep.

8:20 A.M., Great Hall

The Marauders and company were sitting in the Great Hall, looking tired but happy. They had no idea how they were going to survive classes, but they felt they could roll with whatever punches were thrown at them. However, they didn’t plan on a visit from one Severus ‘Snivellus’ Snape.

“So, Lupin, I see Reynolds is still going out with you,” said Snape nastily, “Did you get a job, or are you borrowing the money to pay her from Black?”

Remus flared up immediately. Gwen put a steady hand on his shoulder to calm him while glaring at Snape.

“What’s the matter, Snivellus, jealous?” asked Sirius, “I heard you telling Lestrange that you fancy Guinevere.”

Snape’s face flushed ever so slightly. James, Sirius, Peter, and Tara laughed while Lily frowned at them. Remus and Gwen still appeared angry.

“So what number girl are you on this week, Black, tenth?” asked Snape.

“That’s none of your business,” said Sirius quietly.

“So there’s more than one,” smirked Snape.

“So how many are there,” asked Tara nastily, “five?”

“You’re only the third!” blurted Sirius.

“Third?” shrieked Tara, “And I thought you actually cared about me! I never want to see you again, Sirius Black!”

Tara slapped Sirius across the face, grabbed her books, and stormed out of the Hall, leaving a satisfied Snape and many shocked bystanders. Sirius groaned and put his head in his hands, ignoring the sympathetic/hopeful looks of the Ravenclaw girls. James patted his shoulder as Snape walked to the cheering Slytherin table.

“That was a very tactless thing to say, Sirius,” said Lily.

“I know,” moaned Sirius. He shrugged James off and banged his head on the table repeatedly.

Gwen giggled. “I was sitting there yesterday when I banged my head on the table.”

Sirius stopped long to look up at Gwen miserably.

“You really cared about her, didn’t you?” asked Remus.

“A lot,” admitted Sirius as he sat up.

“Come on, let’s get to Transfiguration,” said James gently. He helped Sirius stand up and led him out of the Hall, Peter trailing behind. Remus bit his lip and looked at Sirius, then at Gwen.

“Go help your friend,” Gwen told Remus. He quickly thanked her, gave her a hasty kiss, and left the Great Hall.

“Remus left his bag,” noted Gwen. She slung her bag and his bag over her shoulders.

“Potter’s a good friend,” Lily noticed. She grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder as well.

“Just admit that you like him.” They started walking out.

“I do not,” said Lily. Her friend looked at her skeptically. “How could I fancy an egotistical toe rag?”

“Whatever,” said Gwen.

8:30 A.M., Transfiguration

Lily and Gwen narrowly avoided being late. Gwen took a seat next to Remus in the front, and Lily sat on the other side of her and to the right of Tara. Peter was directly behind Gwen, and Sirius and James were next to him. Sirius still looked miserable, and Tara ignored his pleading looks with her nose in the air.

“Good morning, class,” said Professor McGonagall.

No one said anything, as Sirius usually responded back with an exuberant “Good morning, Professor McGonagall.” Indeed, even Professor McGonagall seemed surprised as she watched Sirius expectantly.

“Well, this is a nice change,” said McGonagall, “Thank you for behaving yourself, Mr. Black.”

“Your welcome, Professor,” answered Sirius dully.

“Well, today we will be Transfiguring statues into birds. The spell is Avifors. Please copy the notes from the board.”

Sirius took this moment to scribble a note to Tara:

Dear Tara- I really am sorry. I care about you more than those other girls. You mean so much to me. Please forgive me? -Sirius

Sirius passed it up to Remus, who passed it to Gwen, who passed it to Lily, who passed it to Tara. She opened it, scribbled a reply, and spat on it when no one was looking. She folded it back up and passed it back down the line.

Sirius- No. -Tara

Sirius groaned as he felt the wetness of the note. James read it over his shoulder and patted him on the back. Sirius sighed and grudgingly got to copying McGonagall’s notes.

“Ms. Evans, please help me pass out these statues,” said McGonagall.

Lily got up from her seat and grabbed some statues. With McGonagall’s help she got the statues passed out in three minutes flat.

“Thank you, Ms. Evans. Now, remember, the spell is Avifors. Everyone try it now.”

The entire front row (and James) got the spell after a few tries, for which they were awarded three points each. Peter struggled, but did manage to give his statue sleek black feathers. Sirius waved his wand pitifully and muttered the spell but did not managed to do anything to his statue.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you today, Mr. Black, but I hope you get over it soon,” said McGonagall, “For homework: practice.”

“Yes, Professor,” said Sirius dully.

Professor McGonagall blinked rapidly for a moment at his sudden obedience, then went to help Peter fully master the spell. James scribbled a quick note to Sirius.

Padfoot- I know you’re upset, but get it together! We could’ve gotten 18 points for Gryffindor. Minnie’s feeling generous today. Find a new girlfriend. -Prongs

Sirius read it through quickly, then jotted down a reply.

Prongs- Tara’s hard to get over. I liked her more than any random girl I could pick up in the hall. I’ll try to get us some points, but I just can’t focus. I’ve got to get her back. Could you talk to her? -Padfoot

James read it and nodded to Sirius, who smiled grimly. He tried the spell again and managed to give the statue a few blue feathers. James smiled encouragingly, then returned to his cardinal. With a wave of his wand and a muttered spell, he turned it back into a statue. With another wave and spell it became a large tropical bird that squawked right in the middle of McGonagall’s coaching of Peter.

“Very clever, Mr. Potter,” said McGonagall with a small smile, “Take another three points.”

James grinned and turned to look at Lily. She shook her head disapprovingly but smiled all the same.

Inspired by his friend’s achievement, Sirius waved his wand enthusiastically and turned his statue in robin.

“Good, Mr. Black,” said McGonagall with another smile, “Take two points to Gryffindor.”

James clapped him on the back. Sirius craned his neck to look at Tara, but she was determinedly not looking at him. Sirius’ face fell, and he returned to his surly mood for the rest of the class.

The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth by I_LUV_MOONY
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the long wait everyone! I had to deal with band camp (8 hour days in the hot sun), and I still haven't fully recovered. And then it got rejected for dialogue errors (no hard feelings VV, I know you want what's best for me). So here it is!

9:45 A.M., On the way to Divination

Once out of class, the group began walking to Divination. Sirius and Tara were on opposite ends of the line traveling in step to their class. Remus and Gwen were next to Sirius cooing to each other while holding hands.

“You’re so beautiful,” Remus breathed into her ear. His lips just brushed her ear as he said this.

Gwen giggled. “You’re so sweet.”

Sirius looked ready to pull his hair out. “Will you guys just stop it?” Sirius burst out.

“What, stop going out?” asked Gwen jokingly. The large group fell into smaller groups to go up the steps of North Tower.

“Okay,” said Remus, “Gwen, those robes make you look fat.”

Gwen let go of his hand in fake fury. “You are so insulting! I thought you were sweet.”

“I am. I’m also truthful,” he said. “Just like when I tell you that your hair is as greasy as Snivellus’.”

Gwen struggled to keep a straight face. “I hate you, Remus Lupin!” She smacked him, quite similar to when Tara slapped Sirius. They glared at each other for a moment then collapsed onto each other with laughter. Everyone else laughed; even Sirius managed a small smile.

“Well, that was fun,” said Remus as the laughter died down.

“You thought it was fun breaking up with me?” asked Gwen shrilly, all traces of laughter gone.

Remus started stuttering while the others stared disbelievingly. “But-but...”

“I’m just kidding,” said Gwen with a chuckle. She punched his shoulder playfully and put the same arm lazily around his waist. He put his recently punched arm around her shoulders with a sigh of relief.

“Moony, it’s not possible to lose a girl that fast,” James called up the steps.

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” argued Peter animatedly, “I have no trouble losing a girl.” Realization hit Peter as everyone else laughed. “That didn’t come out right.”

“I see anger in your future, Black,” said a mystical voice as they reached the landing.

The source of the voice was a girl in their year. She was wearing the customary uniform but had draped at least ten shawls around her shoulders and many large beaded necklaces. Her shoulder-length brown hair was pulled back with another shawl that doubled as a headband.

“Pretty safe bet,” James muttered to Lily as they reached the landing.

“Shove off, Trelawney,” said Sirius angrily.

“Told you so,” said Sybill, her mystical voice replaced by a childlike one.

“Just leave me alone,” said Sirius. He folded his arms across his chest.

“You know, it’s not that easy being all-knowing,” said Sybill indignantly.

“Oh yes, being vague is so hard,” said James sarcastically, “How do you manage it?”

Sybill was about to retort when she was interrupted by her great-grandmother, Professor Cassandra Trelawney. She immediately made herself appear superior and under control.

“Good morning, my students,” said Trelawney, “Please enter.” Her voice, like her great-granddaughter’s, had a mystical quality to it. She had on about two shawls, and maybe three beaded necklaces; it appeared that her great-granddaughter had attempted to copy her style. Her gray hair was past her waist and kept down.

The class climbed the silver ladder that had just descended. Remus and Gwen sat at a little table, as did Peter and Alex. Lily was about to sit with Tara when James sat down. He smiled apologetically to her because she had to sit with Sirius.

“Today we shall continue advanced palmistry. Open your textbook to page 177. Take your partner’s hand and read their life line.”

Tara took James’ hand in hers and traced the life line.

“You will mess with someone’s mind,” said Tara mystically after consulting her textbook, “and make someone else jealous.”

“You’re supposed to be reading my life line. You can’t tell all that just by looking at my hand,” retorted James as he snatched his hand away.

“I know, but if you help me it will come true,” said Tara, “I want to go back out with Sirius, but I need to get revenge first. If you pretend to go out with me, it’ll mess with Sirius’ head and make him jealous, and you’ll make Lily jealous by going out with one of her best friends.”

James nodded. “And me being Sirius’ best mate will just make things worst for him.”

“Exactly.”

James thought for a moment. He scratched his chin, muttered a few things to himself, then said to Tara, “Okay I’ll do it.”

“Thanks,” said Tara.

There was an awkward pause while the pair shifted awkwardly in their seats.. Then James gave a huge yawn that ended with his right arm around Tara’s shoulders.

“What are you doing?” whispered Tara.

“Being your boyfriend,” James whispered back.

“Oh,” said Tara.

Meanwhile, Lily and Sirius were having a similar conversation a few tables over.

“Evans, I can’t stand not being with her,” said Sirius, his voice filled with anguish.

“I can’t do anything about it, Sirius. Now give me your hand,” said Lily.

Sirius grudgingly gave her his hand. She traced his life line gently and muttered to herself.

“Well, Sirius,” said Lily after she was sure she had read his line correctly, “You’re going to die early.”

“Great. I probably die of a broken heart,” said Sirius sarcastically.

“I wish I could help, but I really shouldn't get involved,” said Lily helplessly.

“Wait,” said Sirius slowly, “maybe you can help.”

“How?” asked Lily. She put her elbow on the table and placed her face in her hand.

“If we pretend to go out, it’ll make Tara jealous,” said Sirius.

“But what’s Potter going to say if he sees his best friend holding hands with the girl he likes?” asked Lily.

“I’ll just tell him the plan, so that he knows it’s not for real,” said Sirius.

As he said this, Sirius looked over to James and Tara in time to see James put his arm around Tara. Sirius let out a growl of rage. He wanted nothing more than to strangle James for touching his woman; indeed, his hands were twitching. Lily followed his murderous gaze and gasped.

Sirius’ face softened as he pleaded with Lily. “Please?”

“’The course of true love never did run smooth,’” quoted Lily. “Okay, I’ll help.”

“Great! Thanks so much, Evans!” said Sirius with hushed tones (Professor Trelawney had just begun speaking).

“You’ll want to call me ‘Lily’ if we’re pretending to go out,” whispered an amused Lily.

“Right, right,” said Sirius hurriedly, “Sorry, Lils.”

Lily snorted with laughter after he said this, but managed not to draw attention to herself. She settled down awkwardly in her seat as Sirius put his arm around her. She gave James and Tara a nervous look, but they were determinedly not looking at the new ‘couple.’ Lily sincerely hoped that this would all work out for the best.

A/N: I hope you guys liked that chapter! But I have hit a snag in the story and am not sure what should come next. If you have any suggestions please leave it in a review. If you don't have any suggestions, leave a review anyway! :D

Of Feuding Couples (and the odd one out) by I_LUV_MOONY
Author's Notes:
I apologize immensely for the long wait. I want to thank my reviewer Luna_Lovegood11 for giving me the idea that got this chapter going. I also want to thank Vindictus Viridian for making me redo this chapter (I cringed when I read it over). This story will probably be five chapters. I know, not as long as the first one, but I have to do what I have to do. Thanks for bearing with me everyone!

On the Way to Lunch

The tension was almost tangible. James and Sirius repeatedly glared at each other. They were only walking together because Remus and Gwen insisted on it. Sirius had his arm protectively around Lily, and Tara held James close to her while glaring daggers at Sirius. Remus and Gwen were holding hands in between the two “couples” trying to create conversation. Peter stood next to Sirius and Lily, but he would often awkwardly move to be next to James and Tara.

“So...what’d you guys think of Potions today?” asked Gwen hopefully.

After a long, very intense silence, Remus answered, “Slughorn wasn’t very fair when he gave your potion an ‘E.’ It deserved an ‘O.’” The group rounded a corner, and Peter moved to stand next to James and Tara.

“Thanks,” said Gwen flatly. She gave him a curt look.

“It did,” said Remus matter-of-factly.

“I don’t care,” said Gwen. She threw her hands up in agitation. “He can give me a ‘D’ if he feels like it.” The couple rejoined hands.

“But you deserve better,” pressed Remus.

“Maybe I should botch the next potion, just to show you that I don’t care!” said Gwen.

“I just want what’s best for you,” said Remus with an earnest nod.

“Whatever,” murmured Gwen. She stared at her feet with pursed lips.

Tara stuck her head out pass James and looked over to Gwen. “Gwen, you should be appreciative that your boyfriend care so much about you. James cares about me, obviously, but I have an ex-boyfriend who didn’t care about me,” said Tara loudly.

“I did care about you. You were just too stupid to notice what was right in front of you!” replied Sirius angrily.

“The only stupid thing here is your face!” retorted Tara.

“The only stupid thing not here is your mum!” retaliated Sirius.

James put his arms around Tara quickly to restrain her from attacking Sirius, who was smirking. Lily looked from the boy on her arm, then to her best friend, then back again. Peter was watching Tara and Sirius fearfully while inching towards Remus.

“Could you guys please stop fighting?” asked Lily desperately as she shrugged Sirius’ arm off.

“You just want to protect your little boyfriend,” sneered James. He let go of Tara, who stormed over to Sirius and continued their argument loudly. Lily strode angrily to James.

“At least I’m in a real relationship. You’re just going out with Tara to make me jealous!” said Lily.

“You can’t possibly like Sirius!” said James heatedly. He brought his face closer to Lily’s.

“Maybe I do!” shouted Lily.

Both arguments were reaching shouting points. Gwen, having reached her breaking point, lifted her head and rounded on Remus. Peter backed away from the feuds slowly.

“Look what you did!” she said as she let go of his hand.

“What I did? You’re the one who tried to start small talk!” shouted Remus.

“You answered me!” Gwen shouted back. Their faces inched closer.

“You answered back!” Again, their faces were brought ever closer.

“Because I didn’t want to look stupid!”

“You do that without trying,” muttered Remus.

“What?” asked Gwen dangerously. She took a step back and put her hands on her hips.

“I said you look stupid without trying!”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah!”

“Fine! We’re breaking up! Come on, Lily!” said a fuming Gwen.

The other two arguments stopped when they heard Gwen’s voice rise above them all. Tara and Sirius’ faces were inches from each other’s, and Lily’s index finger was almost touching James’ nose. Lily brought her hand down, dusted herself off, and walked to Sirius, who put his arm around her.

“I need to stay with my boyfriend,” said Lily, the emphasis directed at James.

“Okay, then, come on, Tara!” said Gwen.

Tara walked coolly away from Sirius and Lily and towards James. She put an arm around his waist, and he put a strong arm around her shoulders. “I need to stay with my boyfriend.”

“Fine!” shouted Gwen, obviously frustrated. After a moment’s hesitation she said, “Come on, Peter!”

Peter, who had thus far managed to stay out of the war going on around him, winced when he heard his name. Gwen grabbed his hand and began dragging him to the Great Hall. He tripped as she gave a rather forceful tug and started ranting about how awful Remus was.

“Come on, Lily,” said Sirius. He steered her toward the Great Hall.

“Let’s go,” said Tara. Once Sirius and Lily had gone in, Tara, James, and Remus began walking towards it. Tara and James grabbed hands just before entering.

Lily and Sirius had just sat down with Gwen and Peter near the entrance. The groups exchanged glares as James, Tara, and Remus walked past. James’ hand squeezed Tara’s, and Sirius snaked his arm around Lily’s waist.

James, Tara, and Remus sat at the other end of the Gryffindor table. As they ate they discreetly glanced at the others. Sirius saw this and leaned in to whisper to Lily.

“I’m going to whisper random things into your ear. When I’m done, giggle like I just complimented you,” he breathed into her ear.

Lily giggled girlishly, then leaned back in to whisper, “How was that?”

Sirius chuckled, then whispered, “Perfect.”

Lily giggled again, then settled back into Sirius’ chest. He laid his head on hers and stroked her red hair. She risked a glance down the table and saw James attempting to bend his fork with his thumb out of anger. Tara placed a soothing hand on his shoulder. She took the fork from him gently, scooped up a piece of shepherd’s pie, and put it in his mouth. He smiled with the fork still in his mouth, which caused Tara to laugh obnoxiously. Sirius cupped Lily’s face with his hands in retaliation. Lily ran her fingers through Sirius’ long black hair.

By the end of lunch, every living (and nonliving) being in the school knew that “Potter’s girl Lily Evans,” was with “that troublesome bloke Sirius Black”, “James Potter the Gryffindor Chaser” was with “Black’s last girlfriend Tara Samuels”, and “that quiet fellow Remus Lupin,” had broken up with his girlfriend, “that know-it-all Guinevere Reynolds.”

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=70177