The Promise of Hope by solemnlyswear_x
Summary: In a world where Harry Potter failed to vanquish the Dark Lord, Muggle-born Clare Morgan must honor her binding contract as a servant to the Ashwood family. Abuse and struggle were expected when she arrived at the manor, but falling in love with her master’s son was not. A story of love, hardship, and the promise that hope brings.

Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 8031 Read: 16431 Published: 08/27/07 Updated: 08/28/08

1. Prologue by solemnlyswear_x

2. Chapter 1 - The Ashwood Manor by solemnlyswear_x

3. Chapter 2 - A Lack of Common Sense by solemnlyswear_x

4. Chapter 3 - Of Memories and the Market by solemnlyswear_x

5. Of Dinner Parties and Small Victories by solemnlyswear_x

Prologue by solemnlyswear_x
Author's Notes:
Lots of thanks to LucillaJoanna for betaing! =)
Clare Morgan wondered how she was supposed to look strong or remarkable when she hadn’t slept in two days nor eaten in three. She risked a glance to her left and to her right, down the line of other Muggle-borns, and found the other teenagers looked just as bad as she felt. Clare hadn’t seen herself in a long time, but imagined her appearance was just like theirs “ too skinny, too dirty, and too exhausted. But it wasn’t as if any of those things mattered. Being chosen now could mean the difference between life and death, so she would have to do her best to look healthy.

“All right, Mudbloods, the pure-bloods will be arriving to look at you shortly,” a man’s voice called out. “If you can manage not to appear too slimy, then you might find yourself as a servant with a meal or two, rather than starving in your filthy villages.”

Clare tried to ignore the rest of the man’s leers and insults as he walked up and down the line, continuing to explain what would happen. She had heard it all before “ they all had.
Don’t smile, and speak only when you are spoken to. Stand up straight, and don’t dare make eye contact. You are scum, horrible Mudblood scum.

It wasn’t anything new; she had been treated this way for five years, since she was eleven. Voldemort had defeated Harry Potter in a duel, using an ancient magic stripping spell, extergeo magus, leaving him completely powerless. Without their savior, the wizarding world tumbled into disarray and horror. Although there were still those who fought against Voldemort, without Harry, they had lost all hope. Death Eaters had taken control of the Ministry - with Henry Nott as Minister. Hogwarts was turned into a school for the Dark Arts, and Muggle-borns were shunted into villages for their “safety.”

Clare and her younger sister had been taken from their parents after Voldemort's victory and moved into one of these places. Clare had no idea what had happened to her parents, but she knew Muggles were being exterminated with more fury than the Muggle-borns. So Clare and nine-year old Jane had lived in a small village with little food or care up until only four nights ago.

Last Friday at nine o’ clock, the man, a Mr. Gagnon, had taken all the teenagers from her village and told them they were to be servants to the pure-blooded families. House-elves, he had told them, were considered too inferior to be in the presence of pure-bloods, and had been taken to extermination facilities around the country. In fact, creatures of any sort, including Centaurs, had been slaughtered and tortured, having been deemed unworthy and impure.
Since that night they were taken, they would walk out of the old warehouse they were being housed in every afternoon, and men would come to examine them and choose whomever they wanted. There had been fifty of them to start with, and the number had been whittled away to thirty.

Suddenly, Clare was pulled from her thoughts as popping sounds filled the air. About twenty men from pure-blooded families had Apparated in front of the long line of Muggle-borns. The distinctions between the two groups made for quite a contrast. Men wearing fancy robes and polished shoes, looking well fed and washed, stood in front of scraggly teenagers with no shoes, wearing grey robes torn and stained.

Holding stock-still, Clare attempted to watch without being noticed as the men milled about. Two stopped to “examine” her, but continued looking at others shortly. After about ten minutes, a tall, thin man with beady eyes and glasses stopped in front of her. He peered at her for a few minutes before finally saying, “Gagnon, I want this one.”

Mr. Gagnon quickly strode over, and Clare watched helplessly as her life was sold to someone else for merely three Galleons.

“Well then, Mr. Ashwood,” Gagnon said, “she’s all yours, and a pretty one at that, I’d imagine. At least once you clean her up. Nice brown hair and blue eyes.”

Her new master curtly nodded once, and then grabbed her roughly by the arm. As he began Side-Along-Apparition, Clare sighed softly.

It appeared she now belonged to the Ashwood family.
Chapter 1 - The Ashwood Manor by solemnlyswear_x
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to LucillaJoanna for betaing. =)

The house was enormous.

That was the only thing Clare could think of as the Ashwood Manor appeared in front of her. The building was old, but it had lost none of its impressiveness with age. It loomed over a large expanse of property, with ivy winding its way up the stone.

“This will be your new home,” Mr. Ashwood said brusquely, leading her up the path to the house.

Unsure of how to reply, and still overwhelmed by the changes, Clare merely nodded. She didn’t know how this could ever be her home.

“You will always respond to me with a ‘yes, sir’ or a ‘no, sir,’” Mr. Ashwood snapped coldly. “Do you understand me?”

His abrupt change from what could pass as civility to this manner, did not sit well with Clare. Teeth clenched, she muttered, “Yes, sir.” Fortunately, the slightly sarcastic manner with which she had said this had gone unnoticed.

“Good.” There was a pause before Mr. Ashwood spoke again. “What’s your name again, girl?”

“It’s Clare, sir. Clare Morgan.”

Mr. Ashwood said nothing further, and soon they had reached the front door. He pulled his wand out and tapped the lock. The wooden door sprung open, and Clare followed him inside. The interior was hardly any friendlier than the outside. The ceiling was high, and the foyer was dark; a staircase was visible to the side.

“Lucy, will you come here? You too, Gavin,” Mr. Ashwood called, his voice echoing in the cavernous entry hall.

Clare stood nervously, shifting her weight from foot to foot, waiting for the two to arrive. Footsteps filled the hall momentarily, and a willowy woman and a tall boy came into view.

“I suppose this is our new servant?” Mrs. Ashwood asked her husband flatly, without waiting for an introduction.

“Yes, this is Connie.”

“It’s Clare,” Clare said automatically, without realizing she hadn’t been spoken to.

“Impertinent,” Mrs. Ashwood said with a look of disdain for Clare. “Well, you’ll be helping Katie with the cooking and cleaning. It’s only you two; we don’t want too much filth in our home. The house-elves were bad enough.”

Clare vaguely wondered how only two people could clean a house this large, but figured now was not the best time to ask.

“You’ll be sleeping in Katie’s room, which is just down the hall on the right,” Mrs. Ashwood continued, gesturing. “You are to address me as ‘ma’am’ at all times, and my son as ‘sir’.”

“Speaking of our son,” Mr. Ashwood interrupted. “Gavin, what do you think of our servant?”

The boy looked up, his brown eyes glancing at Clare disinterestedly. “I would have preferred a blonde, but as long as she can cook better than Katie, it’s of no importance to me.”

At this remark, Clare had to bite her tongue to keep from shooting back a reply.

“Well, that is all. Now, girl, go to the kitchen and help Katie cook our dinner immediately,” Mrs. Ashwood commanded.

Following this order, Mr. and Mrs. Ashwood left the foyer, leaving Clare alone with Gavin. Standing there, Clare realized she had no clue where the kitchen was. She took a few tentative steps forward, but stopped. She couldn’t check each room for a stove and sink - she would have to ask Gavin. Having closed some of the distance between them, Clare was struck by how tall he was; he was nearly as tall as his father. She dared to look up at him, hoping he wouldn’t be too unkind.

“Second door on the left,” Gavin said casually, and then walked away.

“Thank you, sir,” Clare called after his retreating footsteps, surprised he had volunteered the information so readily.

Not wanting to delay any further, Clare hurried to where Gavin had said the kitchen was. She pushed open the door, and when she stepped inside, she nearly walked into a young, blonde girl.

Clare wasn’t sure why, but she had imagined Katie to be an elderly woman. She, however, couldn’t have been more than twenty-five.

“Hi,” Katie said after maneuvering around Clare to avoid a collision. “You must be the new servant.”

“Yes, I’m Clare Morgan.”

“Katie Bell.” There was a pause, and Clare looked around the kitchen. The smell of cooking food reached her nose, and she could hear a buzzer going off when Katie spoke again. “Oh, that’s the dinner. I don’t have time to stop and give you the grand tour, but if you follow me around, you should get the hang of it.”

Clare nodded and watched as Katie flitted about the kitchen, taking a platter out of the oven and setting it on the counter next the already prepared salads. “I need to start the dessert,” Katie told her. “Can you take out the salads, and once those are finished, the dinner too?”

“Of course.” Clare placed the plates on the dumbwaiter and carefully pushed it through the doors that Katie said led to the dining room. The three Ashwoods were already seated at the long oak table and stopped their conversation upon her entrance.

Mrs. Ashwood glared at her as she began to set down the food. After a moment, she broke the silence, declaring, “Robert, she needs a scouring and a change of clothes before she can been seen by company.”

“You’re absolutely right, of course,” Mr. Ashwood said. “She can do those things tomorrow morning. She’ll need to clean up the kitchen after dinner, and I won’t her keeping me awake all hours of the night making a racket.”

Clare set down the last salad, and fought the urge to glare at the Ashwoods. She was used to the unkind words, but it still grated on her nerves the way they talked about her as if she wasn’t there. Clare supposed she should get used to it; after all, she would be here a long time.

---

Back in the kitchen, after serving the dinner and dessert, Clare and Katie began to clean up.

“How long have you been here?” Clare asked.

“Two months,” Katie said. “Gagnon came to my village and rounded us up. Then Ashwood chose me, and I’ve been here ever since.”

“Are they nice? The Ashwoods?” Clare immediately realized how ridiculous that question sounded, and rephrased it. “I mean, not nice, but tolerable at least?”

“Gavin and Mrs. Ashwood are bearable “ as long as you don’t do anything wrong, they’ll ignore you. It’s Mr. Ashwood you have to watch for. He’ll try to hit you if you’re not careful.” Katie rolled up the sleeve of her right arm, and revealed a fading bruise the size of a Galleon. “He called, and I came too slowly,” Katie explained, having noticed Clare’s questioning look.

‘Oh,’ was all the response she could muster.

“You’ll get used to it,” Katie said. “And besides, they could be a lot worse. I’m sure you’ve heard the stories…”

The two continued cleaning in silence, leaving Clare to her own thoughts. She wondered how her father and mother were doing, and her younger sister Jane, who was only nine. She hoped they were getting along all right without her; she missed them terribly.

When the kitchen was done, Katie said she was going to bed, and that if Clare wanted to eat (Katie had before Clare had arrived), there was a plate in the refrigerator. Thanking Katie, Clare found the small sandwich and ate it quickly. The hunger pains that had been overtaken by nervousness earlier, had returned full force during the cleaning. Clare had just finished putting her plate away when she heard approaching footsteps.

“What are you doing, girl?” It was Mr. Ashwood.

“I was eating dinner, sir,” Clare said. “Katie saved some in the fridge. I just finished washing my plate.”

“Well, get on with it. You’ll be roused at five am, and not a minute later.”

“Yes, sir.” Clare hesitated for a moment, and then began to walk away.

“Did I give you permission to leave?” Mr. Ashwood asked menacingly. He grabbed Clare by the arm and jerked her around to face him.

“No, sir,” she said softly, forcing herself not to cry out in pain. “I’m sorry, sir.”

He released her arm. “Since it’s your first day, I suppose that’ll do. You may go.”

Clare left quickly and went to the room she was to share with Katie. As she climbed into bed, the throbbing in her left arm let her know she would soon have a bruise to match Katie’s. Clare decided not to dwell on that tonight, and drifted into a welcome sleep, knowing that the morning would come all too soon.
Chapter 2 - A Lack of Common Sense by solemnlyswear_x
Author's Notes:
More background on Clare has been included in this chapter, so I hope that clears all questions up! =D Thanks again to my beta!
“Clare!” Katie hissed, shaking her gently. “Clare, get up! We were supposed to be out of bed five minutes ago.”

Clare groaned softly and rolled over on her bed. “Go away, Jane.”

“No, it’s Katie. You need to get up now, or else the Ashwoods will be furious.”

Opening her eyes, Clare realized where she was. For a brief moment, she had been back with Jane at Langley Village.

“Who’s Jane?” Katie asked as Clare got out of bed and dressed.

“My little sister. She was too young to be taken by Gagnon, so she’s still at my old village. My parents are both Muggles so they were never taken to the village. Just the two of us lived together, and now she’s alone.” Clare explained all this as they began walking towards the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

“I have“” Katie paused abruptly, swallowing once before continuing, ““ had a younger sister. She was murdered by Death Eaters during a raid on our village a year before I came here.”

Clare didn’t know how to respond. She knew exactly what those raids were like. There had been one at Langley three months before she left. The Death Eaters had stormed though the streets, barging into the shacks at random. Sometimes the Muggle-borns were killed and sometimes only tortured. That day, Clare and Jane had been huddled in the corner and hoped they would be spared.

No Death Eaters had come inside their home, but that hadn’t kept the noise out.

“Move, you scum.”

“Crucio!”

“Mudblood, foul waste of magic.”

“Avada Kedavra!”


Clank! They had reached the kitchen, and the sound of Katie grabbing a metal frying pan pulled Clare from her thoughts. Rubbing her arms where goose bumps had erupted, she glanced at Katie; sadness was etched in the older girl’s face.

“Your sister, what was her name?” Clare asked quietly.

“Hannah. Her name was Hannah.”

“I’m so sorry,” Clare said, knowing it didn’t help at all, and wondering what it would be like to lose Jane. Looking around the kitchen, Clare wondered if she already had.

---

After breakfast had been served, Clare was given a clean set of grey robes and allowed a chance to shower. Dusting the downstairs and preparing lunch followed, and as the afternoon gave way to evening, Mr. and Mrs. Ashwood announced they were to attend a party at the Lestranges’ home that night. Gavin, they said, was not to come with them, as he was too young for the gathering.

Before the elder Ashwoods left, Katie and Clare were called in to help Mrs. Ashwood get ready.

“Katie, lay out the cream gown, and Clare, come here and help me pin my hair.”

Clare moved to where Mrs. Ashwood was sitting in front of her vanity, and began to pull the woman’s black hair into a twist. When she had nearly finished, the small look of surprise on Mrs. Ashwood’s face did not escape Clare, and led her to believe that it had not been expected for her to know how to fix her matron’s hair. At this, Clare smiled slightly. The reason behind her knowledge came from years of fixing Jane’s hair to entertain her on long, lonely days. No toys of any sort were allowed in the village, and with no parents, it had been up to Clare to take care of Jane.

“Will that do, ma’am?” Clare asked, pinning the final strand of hair into place.

Mrs. Ashwood eyed herself in the mirror critically. “Yes, I suppose it will.” Then she stood and moved to where Katie was waiting to help her into the lovely dress.

A few minutes later, they escorted her to the foyer where Mr. Ashwood was waiting.

“You looking stunning, ma’am,” Katie said when they had reached the hall.

Mrs. Ashwood made no reply to this and made her way to stand next to her husband. “Ready, Robert?”

“Yes, we can Apparate in a moment.” He turned to face Clare and Katie. “You two, I expect you to serve dinner to our son, and to help him unpack his trunk from Hogwarts. He arrived home only two days ago, you know, and nothing has been done about unloading his things yet.”

“Yes, sir,” Katie and Clare replied in unison.

“I believe that’s all,” Mr. Ashwood concluded briskly. “We’ll return at midnight and expect one of you up to help us in.”

With that, he offered his arm to his wife, and a popping sound echoed through the hall, leaving Katie and Clare alone.

---

Ten minutes later, Clare wasn’t so sure she had gotten the better end of the deal after all. Katie had offered to cook and wait up for the Ashwoods if Clare would help Gavin. She had been happy to agree, as she didn’t care all that much for cooking.

But now, standing in Gavin’s room, she rather wished she was surrounded by pots and pans instead of reminders of the life she could have had. Books and Quidditch posters and potion ingredients littered the room, as if to mock Clare of the things she had never been allowed.

She spared one jealous glance at Gavin, who was perched on his bed reading a spell book, his mouth soundlessly forming the incantations. He hadn’t even acknowledged Clare when she had entered the room.

Knowing it would do no good to dwell on what she could never have, Clare returned to her work. She was a few feet away from the bed, transferring various items from his trunk into the drawers and removing robes to be washed the next day. Clare had just set a spare quill on Gavin’s dresser when something caught her eye “ his wand.

Clare paused; although she had seen wands before “ mostly used against her “ she had never been allowed one of her own. The closest she had come was at Langley Village. A few of the older Muggle-borns had managed to smuggle wands into their village with help from sympathetic pure-bloods, and had given lessons secretly. It hadn’t been much, but Clare had learned a few basic spells that she could use if she ever acquired a wand.

As she stared at the thin piece of wood, she had to keep herself from picking it up. Of all the things Clare wished for, a wand was what she wanted most. When Harry Potter had been defeated, Clare had been eleven and due to start Hogwarts the next month. But then the Death Eaters had taken over, and in the middle of a hot August night, Clare and Jane had been taken from their beds. Their parents being Muggles, were left unconscious and beaten in their home, and Clare had not seen them since.

The Death Eaters had taken them to Shady Spires and left eleven-year-old Clare to care for four-year-old Jane in their decrepit shack.

“Can I help you with something?” Gavin asked scathingly.

Clare started. Upon seeing his wand, she had frozen in place, not continuing her job. “Oh, I’m sorry. Your “ I “ The wand“”

“Don’t tell me you’ve never seen a wand before?” Gavin stood up from his bed and moved towards her.

“Of course I have,” Clare snapped. “Sir,” she added belatedly.

Gavin merely raised his eyebrows at her indignant response, and then said, “Do you know any magic, then?”

Clare hesitated before answering. Legally, she wasn’t allowed to know any spells, but she knew a few basic and defensive ones, and wasn’t sure if her lie would be noticeable. “I know a little, sir,” Clare admitted finally.

“I see,” Gavin said, smirking. He silently Summoned his wand and then pointed it at the dresser in front of her.

Incendio!” he said, and the entire armoire burst into flames.

Clare gasped and stepped back. Gavin looked entirely nonplussed and merely stared at Clare disinterestedly, twirling his wand.

Aguamenti!” Clare cried, grabbing the wand from Gavin instinctively, hoping she had remembered the spell correctly.

A jet of water shot from the oak wand and quickly extinguished the flames. Gavin took the wand back without a word and repaired the damage to the dresser with a flick.

“Impressive,” Gavin said. “I wasn’t expecting you to react that quickly.”

There was a pause. Clare was attempting to control her anger at Gavin’s lack of sense. What was he trying to do?

“Dinner’s ready!” Katie’s voice traveled up the stairs and into the room, interrupting the silence.

Gavin turned and began to walk out of the room immediately. He paused in the doorway and looked back at Clare. “Finish the unpacking before coming down. And I wouldn’t recommend getting distracted again.” He smirked and then disappeared from sight.

Left standing alone with the faint smell of burning wood hovering around her, Clare decided Katie had easily gotten the better deal.
Chapter 3 - Of Memories and the Market by solemnlyswear_x
Author's Notes:
Thanks to LucillaJoanna for betaing! :D Don't forget to review; I love hearing from everyone!
The days passed slowly and sometimes the nights lasted even longer. Life in Ashwood Manor was tedious during the day and full of nightmares when darkness fell.

Clare busied herself with housework and avoided Gavin, who hadn’t said a word to her in almost a week. She understood he had just been testing her, but a small part of Clare wished she could ask him more about the magic she had never learned. She knew she never could, as it would be impertinent of her and even unlawful for her to, but she couldn’t help but think of it.

The morning that marked exactly one week since she had spoken with Gavin, Clare found herself face to face with Mrs. Ashwood when she awoke. Mrs. Ashwood was leaning over her and as soon as Clare opened her eyes, Mrs. Ashwood yanked her out of the bed and told her to get dressed.

Her orders were simple: Go to the market and pick up some fresh vegetables and steaks for a dinner party the next night. Clare was eager to go; it had been so long since she had seen a world other than the one that revolved around the manor.

Mrs. Ashwood quickly detailed the consequences that would occur if Clare made any attempt to escape. The market, which had been established by wizards, was nearby, and all who worked there had been trained to spot anything out of the ordinary.

Clare dutifully replied that she would never think of doing something like that, and Mrs. Ashwood seemed reassured.

All the same, as Clare walked down the path from the manor, she couldn’t deny how enticing the thought of escaping was. She thought of elaborate ways to run away, knowing none of them would work, and enjoyed how wonderful the breeze felt. Even if she had to return to the manor, the fresh air was definitely worth it, and Clare moved as slowly as she dared to. She had only been given an hour and a half, and she planned to make the most of it.

When Clare arrived at the market, she was taken aback. There were more people here than she had seen in a long time, and the loud noise was a welcome change to the quiet of the manor. Not to mention, the place was swarming with servants like herself. A small flicker of hope flitted into Clare’s mind. What if someone else from Langley was here? Clare couldn’t have been the only one taken from the village that night.

That night. Clare could remember it perfectly - every detail, every moment of fear. She tried not to think about it often, but when she did, it came back vividly…

---

“Clare.” Jane’s hiss cut through the silence of the night. The two of them were lying on their small cots in the “bedroom” of their shack. In reality, the bedroom was simply their two small beds pushed close together in the corner of the one-roomed shack. “Clare, are you still awake?

Clare let out a soft chuckle; she was always awake at this time of night. Sleep never seemed to come easily anymore, what with the constant fear of Death Eaters coming to take them for whatever the hell they wanted. “Yeah. Are you okay?” she asked her sister.

“I just can’t sleep.”

“Close your eyes and try,” Clare said soothingly. “Count hippogriffs or nifflers, or something.”

“I don’t know what they look like,” Jane muttered. It was quiet for a moment before Jane spoke again, sadness filling her voice. “I miss Mum and Dad.”

Clare turned on her side to face Jane. “Me, too.”

“I wish they were here,” Jane whispered, so softly that Clare had to strain to hear it.

“I know, love, but at least they’re alive,” Clare replied. “We’ll see them again someday.”

“Promise?”

“Promise,” Clare affirmed. Although Clare knew, if she was being honest with herself, that there was no way she could keep that promise. She didn’t even know if her parents were really alive. Only she and Jane had been taken from their old home, and their parents had been left alone, but who knew now? Still, Clare would take any chance she had to give Jane some hope.

Silence engulfed the room as Jane fell asleep, comforted. Clare, on the other hand, was still wide awake. There was no clock in the shack, but the crude window above Jane’s bed afforded Clare a view of the sky outside. Judging from the darkness, Clare guessed it was one in the morning, or somewhere close to it.

Suddenly, screams filled the stillness and Clare sat upright in her bed. Sounds of doors being broken down could be heard, and shouts of spells joined the fray soon enough.

“Jane!” Clare hissed. “Jane, get up now and go out the back door.”

Clare leaped out of her bed and bounded the small distance to her sister’s small form. Jane stirred quickly and stood up. “What do I do?” she asked.

“Sit outside the back door and hide behind the bushes. Stay quiet and as hidden as you can. I’ll tell them I live here alone “ that you died. They won’t double check, and they only need one person from each home, that’s the requirement. No one from Langley will be with the Death Eaters, and they’ll be none the wiser.”

“But what about you?” Jane asked, her voice trembling.

“Don’t worry, just leave,” Clare said. “Tomorrow go see if Mrs. Knightley managed to get out and stay with her.”

Jane wouldn’t move, and Clare could hear the Death Eaters making their way down the row of houses. Their shack was at the end of the line, but they would still be here soon. “Jane! Go, now!”

Her little sister gave a small sob and hugged Clare tightly. Clare felt tears slide down her own cheeks and onto the top of Jane’s head. She gave Jane a small push towards the back door and stood, waiting.

She wanted to hide with Jane, but if no one was there, the Death Eaters would get suspicious and check the backyard. The punishment from hiding was death, as serving the Dark Lord in some way was supposed to be an honor.

Finally, Jane was outside and hopefully well hidden. Clare swallowed deeply and turned to face the door. As she did, it flew open and three figures emerged.

“Ah, a pretty little girl,” one croaked, his voice deep. “You get to come with us.”

Clare knew arguing would do no good. She nodded and stepped forward.

“Obedience,” the other said. “A good quality in a servant girl.”

The third man chuckled darkly and grabbed Clare by the wrist. He pulled her close and ran a finger down her cheek. “No one else here with you?”

“No,” Clare said, her firm voice belying the fear shooting through her veins. “Just me.”

“Aren’t lying, are you?” the first man asked. “Because you know what we do to liars.”

“Just me,” Clare repeated.

“Very well,” the man holding her said. “Let’s go.”

They forced her out of the door and into the moonlit street. All around her, Clare could see her neighbors being struck and shoved to the cold ground. The men pushed her towards a spot in the center of the road, and stood over her as all the other people were herded that way too.

“All right, Mudbloods,” one of the Death Eater called. “It’s time to go someplace new. Maybe to the Dark Lord as his servant, or maybe to a pureblood’s house to be their servants. An honor, either way. Let’s go.”

Clare shut her eyes and thought of Jane. At least she would be safe. After a moment, Clare felt someone grab her hand and squeeze it tightly. It was her seventeen-year-old neighbor Emily. “It’ll be okay, Clare,” she whispered.

Clare nodded, because she didn’t trust herself to speak. She didn’t think Emily should be so sure.


---

“Watch where you’re going!” someone called, jostling Clare to the side.

With a start and a stumble, Clare realized she was at the market and not back at Langley. Her memories of that place, that night, were so vivid, that Clare had been caught up in the recollection and lost all sense of where she actually was. She shivered and brushed at her cheek “ a tear had escaped and broken through the wall she had worked hard to build.

“Keep it moving!” another voice cried, this time shoving Clare a little harder.

Clare swallowed and moved toward the vegetable stand. Better to get this done with. She selected and paid for what Mrs. Ashwood had asked for easily enough, although the line at the stand held her up for a while. Finally, after it was her turn, Clare moved to where the meat was being sold.

Purchasing the steaks had taken even longer than getting the vegetables, and Clare knew she needed to hurry if she wanted to get back to the manor on time. As she turned to find the path to take her home, she ran into someone, nearly losing her balance.

“I’m so sorry,” Clare said, fumbling with her packages.

“Don’t worry it’s my-” The girl paused. “Clare?”

“Emily?” Clare nearly dropped her purchases in shock. “Is that really you?”

Emily launched herself at Clare, squeezing their packages between them. “I’m so glad you’re okay!”

“I can’t believe it’s you!” Clare hadn’t imagined something like this happening. She had just been thinking of Emily and then here she was. “Where are you staying now?”

“The Lestrange Manor.” Emily’s face darkened, and for the first time, Clare noticed how thin her friend was and that there were bruises covering her arms. “You?”

“I’m working for the Ashwoods.”

“No time for talking, move it!” Suddenly, a person marched up to Clare and Emily and forced them apart. “You need to get going. Chatting looks to me like a conspiracy to escape.”

Clare sighed. “I still can’t believe it’s you. I hope you’re doing okay.”

Emily smiled darkly. “Well enough to get by. I hope I’ll see you around; take care,” she said, hugging Clare again. Then, as quickly as she had come, Emily waved and walked away.

Clare was left utterly alone in the crowded market. Gripping the food she had been required to buy, she hurried down the path that led to Ashwood Manor.

Though she was moving as quickly as she could, Clare knew that she had taken too long when the imposing mansion came into view. Clare wished she had been allowed to Apparate, but there had been no one who taught her at Langley, and no one who would care to teach her now.

As she moved up the walkway, she noticed Gavin sitting on the front lawn, leaning against a tree. He looked up as she went past, but Clare didn’t meet his eyes.

She reached the enormous front doors and, a sense of foreboding filling her, inched them open. Clare hoped desperately that no one had noticed she was late, but knew that wouldn’t be the case. Mrs. Ashwood had been specific about how much time she should take, and it was no one’s fault but Clare’s.

She had no sooner made it into the foyer than Mr. Ashwood appeared. “You, girl, are ten minutes late. I believe you had specific instructions on when to return, did you not?”

“I did, sir,” Clare replied, trying to keep fear from filling her voice. “I’m sorry, sir.”

“This sort of action will not be tolerated,” Mr. Ashwood said coldly, stepping closer to Clare.

“I understand, sir.” Clare braced herself for the strike that she knew would be coming shortly.

“Infractions have consequences, you know.” Mr. Ashwood moved closer still.

Clare opened her mouth to reply again, but was cut off.

“It was my fault, Father.”

Gavin’s voice took Clare by surprise, and she nearly gasped in her shock. She hadn’t noticed he had followed her inside.

“She was back on time; I simply held her up outside,” Gavin continued. “I needed her opinion on a matter, and didn’t think her important enough to be needed elsewhere.”

“Is this true?” Mr. Ashwood’s question was directed at Clare.

“Yes, sir,” Clare said, hoping that her lie was convincing enough.

“Very well,” Mr. Ashwood replied. “I expect that next time we won’t have any difficulties.”

“Yes, sir,” Clare affirmed, watching as Mr. Ashwood left the room.

When he was out of hearing range, Clare turned to face Gavin. “Thank you,” she said, relieved. “You didn’t have to do that; I shouldn’t have been late.”

“Don’t mention it. I owed you from the other night “ not the nicest I’ve ever been,” Gavin said ruefully. “I won’t be able to cover for you again, though. My father would be suspicious.”

“No, of course not.” Silence fell between them, and Clare shifted awkwardly from foot to foot. Finally, remembering she was still holding the food she had purchased, she said, “Well, I need to put these away.”

Gavin nodded. Then, smiling slightly, he said, “See you around, Clare.”

With that, he headed up the stairs, leaving Clare to walk in the opposite direction toward the kitchen wondering what on earth had just happened.
Of Dinner Parties and Small Victories by solemnlyswear_x
Chapter Four “ An Unexpected Visitor

The following day began earlier than usual, with Katie waking Clare up in an unexpected good mood.

“What are you so happy about?” Clare mumbled, her words running together. She rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her dark hair before adding, “Normal people like sleeping, you know.”

“I do know,” Katie said. “I’m not happy that it’s early.”

“Well, could it be the glorious weather that’s got you in such a chipper mood?” Clare asked, stumbling out of bed. She smiled sarcastically and gestured to the small window in their room. Rain was pouring down in sheets, giving no sign that it would let up soon.

“Very funny,” Katie said, “but no. The dinner party is tonight.”

“That’s what you’re excited about?” Clare’s eyebrows shot up. She wasn’t really dreading the party “ it would be nice to see other people, even if from a servant’s point of view - but preparation for the dinner that night would take all day, and although not too tasking, it would be tedious and most likely boring. “Why are you happy about the dinner?”

Katie glanced at the small clock on the wall opposite the window and then quickly at their closed door. “Well, I haven’t told you this before because I wanted to make sure I could trust you not to go running to the Ashwoods. No offense, of course,” Katie added with a grin.

“None taken,” Clare said, returning the smile.

Katie didn’t say anything further. Instead, she glanced once more at the door to make sure it was still closed, and then moved towards her cot. Reaching one hand under the thin mattress, Katie rummaged around for a moment until she finally pulled her hand back. In her palm, clutched tightly, was something small. Clare took a step closer to Katie and watched curiously as her friend opened her hand to reveal a delicate, golden band.

“You’re married?” Clare asked, incredulity flooding her voice.

Katie smiled, and her face transformed, making her look years younger. “Yes, his name is Oliver.”

“Is he a Muggle-born?”

“No,” Katie said. “He’s a pure-blood. We went to Hogwarts together; he was a few years ahead of me. It was different then, you know, blood didn’t matter.” Katie paused for a moment. “As much.”

Clare didn’t reply at once. For a moment, she was caught up in thinking about how different her life would have been had she grown up in Katie’s time. She could have gone to Hogwarts, played Quidditch, made friends. A small flicker of envy flashed through her, before she wondered if Katie had it any better after all. How must it feel to know what it was like to have everything, and then have it taken away? Clare couldn’t imagine “ not really, at least “ what it was like before Harry Potter had lost. She shook her head slightly; no use thinking of it now. “So, how long have you been married?” Clare asked. She sat down on the bed and Katie did the same next to her.

“Five years,” Katie said. She smiled again, but this time it didn’t reach her eyes. “We married six months before You Kn “ Voldemort “ defeated Harry. Then the Ministry was taken over, and I was deported to Mulvane Village. They declared our marriage invalid, so technically, I suppose I’m not really married anymore.” Katie stopped talking, the good mood she’d been in before seemingly deflated. There was silence for a few moments before she began to speak once more. “I haven’t seen Oliver in two years, and that’s only because we saw each other when I was running an errand. I got to say, “I love you, I miss you,” before someone shoved me out of the way and told me it was prohibited to talk to anyone above my station. He could have remarried by now, for all I know.” Katie said this in a bit of a rush, the words tumbling out bitterly and jumbled together.

“I’m sorry,” Clare said softly. “I’m sure he’s still waiting for you.”

All at once, Katie’s mood returned to the happy one it had been when she had first woken Clare up. “I’ll find out tonight, actually. The dinner party, well, it’s in celebration of a closed deal at the Ministry, and Mr. Ashwood’s invited most of his coworkers.”

“Oliver works for the Ministry?” Clare asked. That couldn’t be good; the Ministry was overrun with Death Eaters and other pure-blood maniacs.

“Sort of. We both joined the Order after Hogwarts, although it’s not as if I can do much for them now. But Oliver, he and a few other members began working for the Ministry, as a way to get information. None of his family had ever been connected to the Order, so Voldemort’s lackeys haven’t been suspicious. At least not that I’ve heard.”

Clare didn’t really know how to respond, which, she realized, was becoming a bit of a habit in this conversation. “Oh,” she said lamely.

There was a pause, both girls lost in their own thoughts, before Katie spoke. “We’d better get going,” she said. “If we don’t get started cleaning and cooking, we’ll never be done by six, and Merlin knows there’ll be hell to pay.”

Clare nodded and dressed in her work robes and waited for Katie as she tucked the ring back underneath the cot.

When they were both ready, they walked without talking out of their room. The rest of the day passed in a flurry of cleaning, cooking, and shouted orders from the Ashwoods. Everything had to be perfect for the dinner party, and Clare would have been miserable had it not been for Katie telling her stories about Oliver and her life before Voldemort. After one of these stories, one about a Hogwarts Quidditch match, Clare decided that Katie had it better after all. It was like that saying her mother used to say, it was better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

---

The moment it was ten to six, Mrs. Ashwood thundered into the kitchen and shouted at Katie and Clare to set everything on the table and prepare to greet the guests. When Mrs. Ashwood left, Katie smiled thinly at Clare, clearly nervous about seeing Oliver. Clare smiled back bracingly, and the two brought the cooked food into the dining room.

Once done, there was nothing to do but stand in the foyer and wait for guests to arrive. With the minutes until six slowly ticking away, Mr. Ashwood appeared by their side and ran them through the proper way of greeting those above their station.

“You are not to meet anyone’s eyes,” he explained, his voice cold. “Under no circumstances are you to speak other than to say, ‘Good evening, may I take your coat?’ and direct them to the living room. Once the guests have all arrived, you are both to slip unnoticed into the kitchen until you are needed to bring the main dinner out and clear away the appetizers. If anything goes wrong because of you both, there will be hell to pay tomorrow.”

Without waiting for a response of any sort, Mr. Ashwood left to join his wife in the living room where they would meet the guests and mingle before sitting down to begin eating. Once he was out of sight, Clare muttered, “Aye, Captain,” causing Katie to slip into a fit of giggles and mock salute Clare.

When the doorbell rang, however, they instantly became serious and Clare stepped forward to open the door. “Good evening, sir, ma’am,” she said solemnly. “May I take your coats?”

The couple looked at Clare as though she had just asked to steal their coats, but then grudgingly handed them to her. She led them to the living room where the Ashwoods were waiting, and then set the coats in the guest room, as she’d been instructed. Returning to the foyer, Clare could hear Katie’s voice.

“Good evening, sir,” Katie said, echoing Clare, her voice quavering ever so slightly. “May I take your coat?”

It didn’t take her seeing the tall man who was unmistakably the same one Katie had described to her earlier for Clare to realize this was Oliver. Katie’s smile, hastily hidden, had given her away. Clare watched, happy for her friend.

Oliver returned the smile almost unnoticeably and said, “Please.” He removed his coat and handed it to Katie, and when she took it, their hands lingered a little longer than necessary.

If she hadn’t been listening closely, Clare would have missed the murmured, “I missed you,” from Katie, or the, “I love you,” from Oliver. They disappeared to the living room, and Clare was immediately needed to greet the next guest. She nodded slightly to Katie when they passed on Clare’s way to the coatroom.

When all the guests had arrived and their coats appropriately placed, Katie and Clare made their way to the dining room to begin serving the food they had already set out. It was a tedious task, full of requests to run and get this or that from the kitchen, but for the first time in months, Clare had the chance to listen to news of the outside world.

Clare also had the chance to listen as Gavin and his two friends (who had fathers who worked for the Ministry) talked about Hogwarts and their classes, going on about the spells in Transfiguration and other classes Clare had never heard of. She wondered if Gavin noticed her lingering a little longer than necessary while serving them, just for the sake of hearing a little more of what they were talking about.

Once, when she came to bring one of the boys another drink, she could have sworn Gavin gave her a small, half smile and launched into a story about the most recent spell they had learned in Charms, carefully saying the incantation and showing the hand movement. It might have been a coincidence, but Clare couldn’t help but wonder if he was indirectly teaching her something new.

In the off chance Gavin actually was being uncharacteristically nice, Clare later cut him an extra large piece of the pie; and then had to hide a smile as one of the other boys complained about his slice being too small.

---

That night, after the guests had left and they had spent more than an hour cleaning and dishwashing, Katie and Clare were able to return to their room to sleep. Clare was exhausted after the endless orders and commands of the night; Katie, however, was moving around the room as though she had enough energy to play a game of Quidditch.

“Have a good night?” Clare asked, plopping down onto her cot.

“As a matter of fact, it was wonderful,” Katie replied, finally settling onto her own bed. “I managed to talk to Oliver a few times.”

“What did he say?”

“Well, that he hadn’t remarried“”

“Told you,” Clare cut in with a grin.

““ and that there’s talk of Harry Potter fighting Voldemort again,” Katie continued. “Apparently, his power is beginning to come back “ albeit very slowly. But the news has been enough to stir the resistance movement again, and there have been rumors of a rebellion against the Death Eaters in the Ministry.”

“I can’t believe it,” Clare murmured.

“I know, but Oliver said it was really happening,” Katie said. “Just imagine “ a world where people like the Ashwoods will be forced to do their own laundry.”

Clare laughed. “Or Merlin forbid, do their own grocery shopping.”

They stayed up for a few minutes longer, laughing and smiling over thoughts of the pure-blooded Death Eaters having to make due without their servants.

And although Clare tried to stop herself from wishing what Katie said was true, she couldn’t keep a small flicker of hope from flaring. The growing resistance, everyone fighting back “ maybe an end to this hell was closer than she’d thought.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=72189