Broken Hearts, Unlike Broken Quills, Are Not Easily Mended by Mistletoe
Summary: Growing up together, Sirius and Remus formed a bond that even their two other best friends couldn’t understand. Then something terrible happened and both of their lives shattered to the ground around their feet. Fourteen years later, they are reunited and their worlds are turned upside down, however different their worlds had become.

The missing scenes of Order of the Phoenix.
Categories: Remus/Sirius Characters: None
Warnings: Slash, Substance Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 15299 Read: 15846 Published: 11/25/07 Updated: 10/21/08

1. Of Escapes, Explanations, and Bleak Surroundings by Mistletoe

2. Of Introductions, Inebriation, and Comfort by Mistletoe

3. Of Chocolate, Memories, and Excuses by Mistletoe

4. Of Meetings, Small Gestures, and Extrapolation by Mistletoe

5. Of Muggle Lessons, Happiness, and Disguises by Mistletoe

Of Escapes, Explanations, and Bleak Surroundings by Mistletoe
Author's Notes:
The quote at the beginning is from Chapter Thirty Six of The Goblet of Fire. Also, thanks to my wonderful beta, Love_is_4ever [Samarie]!
“Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher “ the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin’s for a while; I will contact you there.”

Sirius padded across the damp grass, his ears perked, his paws moving quickly. He was on a mission.

As he neared the edge of the dark tree line, he anticipated his actions. He had been waiting for this moment for fourteen years.

The moon glowed above him as he fell in sync with the dark forest. Walking calmly along the edge, he chose his point of entry abruptly, veering left suddenly and continuing at a fast pace. He walked straight through the thick underbrush of the Forbidden Forrest, not allowing the small branches snapping at his face to affect him. Snatches of moonlight disappeared as the canopy thickened overheard; he had almost reached his destination.

Dim light suddenly flooded his eyes as the leaves spread apart above his head. A small clearing had appeared in front of him, which was exactly what he needed. He stood in the shadows on the edge of the clearing very still, listening closely for any stomp of a hoof or rustle of a leaf, but there was nothing, so he transformed.

Sliding the broken wand out of his pocket, Sirius conjured the message in his head. It’s Voldemort; he’s back. Dumbledore’s rounding us up again, be prepared. Burning the words in thin air, he thought of the happiest moment of his life, and sent his Patronus into the wind before transforming back into a dog. He slid back into the thicket, a new mission on his mind.

*

His hands shook as he poured the scalding liquid into the chipped ceramic cup. Slowly replacing the ashen black kettle on the burner, Remus Lupin returned to his armchair by the window. The cold moonlight cut across his features as his sat in the darkness of the empty room. He sipped his tea quietly, contemplating the rough leather book balanced on his lap.

The school year had just ended, and he had just returned to his small, cluttered home on the outskirts of London. The year had ended with one of the most upsetting, torrential, events. He was back; Voldemort had returned. Wondrously, he had just received a Patronus that he had thought he would never see again. It was in the form of a lion, Sirius’ lion.

Remus had been cautious. The idea of seeing his old friend had brought on a fierce onslaught of memories that he had stored in the back of his mind, trying to forget. Seeing Sirius last year had been like seeing a ghost; a ghost of a friend he had lost. Memories, emotions, feelings, all threatened to flow from his veins. Sirius was in his blood; those moments, standing in front of each other, he swore he could feel his touch on his skin. His body and brain were reacting to the mere sight of him, and it was mind numbing. Seeing him had made his hands shake and his breath go short. He had a hard time thinking straight; every thought went back to Sirius. All the times, hidden in the shadows, all those years before.

He heard an urgent knock on the door resound through his home. Forgetting about the heavy volume in his lap, Lupin pushed himself up from the lumpy chair. The book fell with a thud on his foot; he buckled his knee to take pain from his crushed toes, but it was no help.

Ambling gingerly to his smooth wooden door, he looked through the eyehole, coated with years of grime, and saw him: Sirius Black.

He stood back from the door for a few moments before his emotions got the better of him and he lunged forward to wrench the door open. Instead of seeing his old friend standing in front of him, he had to look down into the eyes of Padfoot. He stepped aside to allow to flee-ridden dog access to his already filthy home.

Pushing the heavy door close slowly, he waited for the click and the glow before turning around. This time he came face to face with him.

“Padfoot.”

“Moony.” His breath tickled Remus’ lips.

Remus looked into the dark eyes of his lost friend. The eyes that he thought he would never see again. They stood there, inches apart, in the reckless mess of Remus’ apartment for hours. Neither felt the need to move or make conversation. There were so many years to make up for, so many years missed that taking in the mere presence of one another was enough.

“I’m staying,” Sirius announced suddenly, keeping his eyes locked on his counterpart. “I’m staying until it gets around that I’m not a mass murderer, then it shall be safe for me in my own dreadful home.”

The corners of his mouth turned up, but the sadness did not leave his fathomless eyes. With the air moving around the room, Remus took this as his opportunity to break his silence.

“Let me show you your accommodations.” Remus pushed passed Sirius, their arms knocking together, and their knuckles stroking. His step faltered before he continued to the small guest bedroom on the far end of the house.

It was attached to the unkempt yellow kitchen, and was made of a small white bed, a chest of drawers, and a lamp. There was nothing at all significant about the room, the walls were white, the floor was a dirty brown, and the pillows were flat.

Sirius had closely followed behind Remus to the room, and he was now standing over his shoulder taking in his bleak room. “Well, if this makes me relive the worst moments in my life, too, you’ll know why Moony.”

Remus’ head snapped around, his shoulder shoving itself into Sirius’ sternum. “That’s not funny, Sirius.”

“Oh, all right Moony! Lighten up; it’s as if you’re Great Aunt Margaret’s just died. I am back, aren’t I?” Sirius’ smile finally reached his eyes, and the light that had once been there re-ignited; they were no longer just remnants of the eyes Remus had once known.

“Yes, I’ll lighten up, no big deal. You’ve just come back, I thought all my mates were dead for fourteen years, and here you all are a year later! Alive and well. Actually, I wouldn’t call Peter well. And obviously James isn’t alive, but you are. And you’re here.” He stopped and stared hard at Sirius before walking away from the doorframe of the bedroom, grabbing his cloak from a coat rack and walking out the front door, closing it silently behind him.

*

He sat in the most worn down chair in the room, the chair he assumed was Remus’. It had to be, it smelled just like him: tea and parchment. There was a large, leather-bound book lying on the floor at his feet. Grasping the fading cover in his hand, he picked up the old book.

All of his very few belongings had been moved into the room that Remus had provided for him. He had stolen a few shirts and pants from stores as Snuffles when the storekeepers’ backs were turned, so he did have a change of clothes. What he didn’t have was a wand, since the one Dumbledore had lent him had gotten lost in his journeys, and how he was going to get one was going to be a challenge.

Looking up from the old book, he noticed the brightness of the moon. It wasn’t full, but it was close, maybe two, three more nights. His heart jumped into his throat as he stared sadly at the lopsided orb, reminiscing on nights past. The Marauders would shine on those nights along with the moon; they were together, a camaraderie.

He distantly heard the door open and close as he continued to stare wistfully at the haunting moon. The dark figure moved about the house, but did not make a noise before shutting the door to his respective bedroom. Sirius stayed in this spot all night, not moving his head. He was used to sleepless nights, and having them in peace was almost refreshing.

After many hours, the lazy sun began to rise in the east, and the moon began to fade, along with his nostalgic memories.

*

He woke suddenly to the sound of grease sizzling in a frying pan. His place in Remus’ chair was unmoved, but the book was no longer in his lap and a blanket was splayed across his ruined body. Unsteadily standing up from his cramped bed, Sirius stumbled across the small room, throwing the blanket on an unknowing pile of forgotten books and getting a poof of dust in return.

“Moony, you really ought to do something about the dirt in this place. I can’t breathe normally,” Sirius said with a grunt before slamming the door to his room.

*

After cooking eggs and toast, Remus made a pot of tea, setting the kitchen table for two. When the steam began to pour from the spout of the kettle and a sheer whistle escalated through the room, he cast a quick silencing charm before hurrying over to the stove.

He stared worriedly at Sirius’ door, hoping he hadn’t woken him, but at the same time yearning to see him pull the drab door from its frame. The steam from the tea curled into wisps in the dim light of the kitchen, causing Remus’ thin hair to frizz as he bent over the mug to pour it.

Patiently moving back to his spot at the table, he waited for his friend to wake. The paper was spread evenly in front of him, the headline blaring, Minister Moves for House Elf Reforms! He stared absently at the moving picture of the pointy-eared, squat beings in front of him as he waited.

Sirius had always been a late sleeper. He had been the last one to rise, and James had been the first. Remus didn’t know what he was thinking expecting Sirius to wake at this hour. Quickly eating his food, Remus placed a Warming Charm on Sirius’ plate before folding the paper neatly next to it.

Scrawling a quick note on a torn edge of the paper, Remus left the house with a swish of his thin robes.

*

He pulled his eyes apart, one at a time, allowing the light to slowly creep in. The house was silent; no rustle of robes, no more sizzle of bacon. Judging by the brightness of the sun, it was near midday. He pushed himself stiffly off the hard bed and sat, waiting for his dizziness to wan. For the past fourteen years, his sleep pattern had been so irregular that having the grace of normal time was almost unwelcome.

Dragging his feet across the uneven carpet, he caught the scent of eggs and toast in the air. A grin sloppily appeared on his face as he spotted his plate on the table. His long fingernails scratched the table as he greedily grabbed the fork to eat the delicacy he had been deprived off for so long.

Grasping the side of the plate for leverage, his hand quickly sprang off the edge as he let out a hiss of pain.

“Warming charm”” He grinned down at his newly blistered palm. “Moony.”

Carefully avoiding the plate, he continued his gluttonous endeavour. When he had wiped the plate clean, he piled it in the sink. There was a high stack of plates that was swaying dangerously in the sink, the dust on the windows and floors was clearly visible, and every colour the house used to be had been turned brown by age.

When the sun began to fade below the trees, small flashes finding their way through the gaps in the branches, Remus’ small cottage had been cured. Sirius had spent the day skipping about the cottage cleaning every inch with a chipped wand he had found in Remus’ dresser.

The windows were clear, the floor was white, and the dust was missing. Towering piles of books had been slipped into the empty slots on the cobweb-ridden bookshelves.

“Scourgify,” he chanted gaily as the front door to the now spotless house was shoved open.

“Hello, dear Remus. Don’t you like what I’ve done with the place,” he gestured absently behind him. “Much brighter, livelier.”

Remus’ eyes shot around the room, finally landing on his friend. “Where’d you get the wand?”
Slowly slipping the scratched wooden stick from his back pocket, Sirius waved it lazily in front of Remus’ squinted eyes. “Found it.”

Contrary to Sirius’ beliefs, Remus’ eyes squinted closer together. “In my dresser. You were going through my things.”

“Essentially. But Moony, look at your place!” Lamely attempting to take the light off of himself, Sirius rushed around the house pointing to specific areas that had been cleaned.

The corners of his eyes crinkled as a smile grew on his lips. His house hadn’t been this clean in years; he had never had the time or the energy to clean it.

“Yes, thanks very much Padfoot. It’s very kind of you.” Remus pulled a long, thin, red leather box out of his cloak and balanced in his palm. “Got you something.” The smile was still visible.

“No. Moony, you didn’t. I owe you, please let me pay you back.” He roughly threw the top of the box off and the smooth wooden stick rolled into his outstretched hand. “I haven’t… This is my own… My own wand. This is my first wand in fourteen years, Remus.” He began laughing manically. “I’m all grown up, Moony! I’m of age all over again. How childish.”

Sirius walked quickly to Remus’ favourite chair and sat down, never taking his eyes off the wand. Chuckling softly, Remus walked into his dark bedroom, closing the door quietly.

*

Remus and Sirius fell into a pattern of living. Forced to stay at the house, Sirius would organise and enchant the small living quarters, and Remus would sometimes stay and visit, or he would go to Hogwarts for the day. Unknown to Remus, Sirius would sneak out as Snuffles and explore his long-missed world.

Slowly, Sirius and Remus began to remember each other. The way Remus only had eggs sunny-side up; Sirius’ necessity for the morning paper.

One day, Sirius did not wait long enough to transform into Snuffles after Remus left, and he was inevitably caught.

“What are you thinking? They know what your Animagus form is, Sirius. The Death Eaters know, and they are everywhere. You would be recognized. How could you be so careless! You cannot take risks so soon into this, you are not safe at all,” Remus said as he paced in front of Sirius’ still form.

Sirius looked down before he stated, “you can’t expect me to stay locked up all””

“Yes! Yes, I can. You are here to be discrete, not obvious.” Remus stopped his rapid movement and planted his feet in front of Sirius.

“It’s Muggle London, Moony! I will be fine,” Sirius pleaded. He would not be able to stay locked in a house for much longer, it was the same principle as a cell, minus the Dementors.

Remus swayed a bit on the spot, his feet still unmoving. “You don’t get it, do you?” He paused, his voice dangerously low. “You’ve just come back, Padfoot. Everything was taken from me for fourteen hard years. It’s not just you that has been locked up in a cell for all this time.” He cast Sirius one last mournful look before leaving the small house with the quiet click of the door.

Sirius sat down in the chair, the air rushing out of his lungs. Throwing his head back in despair, he rubbed his eyes before drifting off into a fitful sleep, filled with dreams of doorless rooms.

*

Before he knew what was happening, he was slammed against a wall, his back aching, two painfully strong hands clasping his shoulders. There was a moment of hesitation, of thought, the hands grasped harder, tighter; surely there would be bruises there tomorrow.

Hot lips were on his, his body pressed hard against the wall, he grasped at the face, the arms, anything, and shoved him closer.

As quickly as it happened, it was over. The man moved across to the counter and roughly seized a rumpled piece of parchment.

“Here’s a letter from Dumbledore, get out of my house,” a bitter voice range through the shocked silence. Sirius looked at him, just stared. He feebly took the letter from Remus’ hand and unfolded the parchment.


Dear Snuffles,

Everything is ready here; I hope your time visiting has been wonderful. We are ready for you to return home.

Sincerely,
D.


“But Moony”” Sirius moved towards him, but stopped when Remus cut across his plea.

“I said get out, Pads. You think I’m joking? I’m not.” Remus stared at him with hard eyes. Sirius searched them, wondering what had just happened, and he found the last thing he was expecting: hurt.

He bowed his head and gave a small nod, moving around Remus without so much as glancing at him. After he had collected his few possessions, he walked to the door, but paused. Remus hadn’t moved from where he was standing, the hurt more evident than ever in his grey eyes.

Turning, he opened his mouth to ask a question, or say goodbye, but he couldn’t find the words. He looked at his friend. They had just found each other again, and now there were fourteen years to make up.

He opened the door and stepped outside, but before closing it he said, “you know where I will be, Moony.” He waited for Remus’ eyes to shift from their spot on the floor, but they did not, so he closed the door quietly and morphed.

Of Introductions, Inebriation, and Comfort by Mistletoe
Author's Notes:
Thanks to The Marauding Cupcake [Michelle] for helping me bunches with this chapter! *loves her*
He trekked across the familiar landscape. Dark shadows loomed over his emaciated body as he grew closer and closer to his childhood home. Number twelve Grimmauld Place was on the opposing side of London from Remus’ house.

Stopping far from the long forgotten residence, Padfoot plopped onto the ground, lying his head down with defeat. He thought he would never return to this house. The dark staircases, the elves’ severed heads, and the blasted family tree were all just reminders of a life he was not part of. Staying recumbent, he didn’t once remove his dark eyes from the small gap between number eleven and number thirteen.

*

Dark shadows were expanding across the far wall of the kitchen. The room was silent, save for the crackling of the bright fire. A wrinkled head was floating in the flames, the tongues absently licking the sides of the face. A small group of people was gathered around the fire, their attention was rapt. Silence covered the room after the old man’s ringing voice went quiet.

The two people looked at each other. Worry and fright were not evident in their eyes; they trusted the man in front of them. They had been warned of this already, they just hadn’t expected it to happen so soon.

When Molly Weasley had found out the truth about Sirius Black a few weeks before in the Hospital Wing of Hogwarts, she had been shocked, but she was taking him in with an open mind; Dumbledore always trusted for a reason.

They should be expecting him soon, Dumbledore said, within the next few hours. He would probably arrive in the form of a large, shaggy, black mutt, as it was his Animagus form. Unable to believe that the notorious mass murderer was about to sit down for dinner with her and her husband, she stood up slowly and walked over to the faded counter.

Placing her hands slowly on the rotten wood, she waited. Ears perked for the dull scratch on the door that she was impatiently anticipating, she waited. Arthur stood up and moved toward her to help with the dinner, and still, she waited.

Finally, it came.

Scratch. Scratch, scratch. The sound of trailing dog claws against old, blackened wood. Jumping slightly as her husband touched her shoulder, she said, “He’s here.” Immediately moving from her spot in the kitchen, she briskly walked to the front door and threw it open.

Patiently waiting on the front steps of the rotten house was the dog, ears drooping, tongue lolling.

“Hello,” she said almost too loudly as she gestured for the dog to enter. Once she had thrust the heavy door shut behind her, she turned around. The dog was still sitting there, tongue lazily hanging out of its mouth, slow drops of slobber rolling off of it. It’s eyebrows twitched back and forth between the two adults before it moved into a side room.

Molly and Arthur stared at each other. “What is he playing at?” Molly whispered urgently to her husband.

“I’m sure it’s going to be””

“Hello, I’m Sirius Black, nice to meet you.” Molly jumped as the man slid out of a side room, throwing out his weathered hand.

“Pleasure. Arthur Weasley. This is my wife, Molly,” he said through a warm smile as he shot Molly a sideways glance.

“Yes, yes. We met! However abruptly. Don’t mind if I take my things to my room, do you?” Sirius said with a bright smile after he nodded politely at both adults. “It’s my old place, no need for a tour,” he added quickly.

“Oh, yes of course. That would be perfect,” Molly finally managed to say after a few moments of tense silence. As he turned to lug his small bag up the staircase, she called after him, “Dinner’s at seven!”

*

Staring into the marbled glass of the bottle, Remus tried to focus on how much was left, but he couldn’t get his eyes to stop looking at the glass. It was swirling in his eyes; he lowered his face to get a closer look. The distorted images behind the bottle were dancing back and forth as he moved his head around. He clumsily thrust his hand around the other side of the dark glass. Closing one of his eyes in attempt to focus on the disfigured member of his body, he jerked his hand around to get different perspectives.

Suddenly standing up from his games, he swayed. Deciding it was a poor choice to stand up so suddenly, he slowly sat back down and laid his head on the cool surface of the table.

“Gnagh,” He moaned to himself as he numbly banged his forehead on the rough wood. Allowing his head to rest, a dull ache throbbing through the dazedness, Remus paused. The room went still, his breathing the only sound.

His arms were hanging heavily by his sides and his mouth was sagging drunkenly open. Placing his hands on the table on either side of his body for support, he slowly lifted his body, allowing his head to roll up last.

“Got to”to go to Sirius. Sirius is at Grimmauld Place,” Remus mumbled through tingly lips as he turned to the back door. “No, I need to lie down before I’m off,” he corrected as his spun in search of comfortable accomadations.

Through hazy eyes, he spotted his favourite chair and directed his feet in its direction. Not realising that he had reached his destination, his shins thudded against the front of the seat. Looking down in surprise, he shrugged, and turned around, slowly lowering himself into the chair.

“Yes, just a quick rest, and then I’ll be off.” His head leaned back against the old leather of the seat and his eyes instantly drooped into sleep.

*

The setting sun glinted into his eyes, forcing them open. Looking around, he noticed not only the setting sun, but also the old clock ticking on the wall. He’d slept for two hours. Pushing himself up from the comfortable indention his body had made, his head began to swim with remaining inebriation. He walked about some, and the swimming in his head intensifying, but his thoughts remained coherent.

Moving towards his cloak, he stumbled, but shook off the momentary lapse in coordination. The nap had helped; it had to, because he needed to go to Grimmauld Place now. Reaching his cloak, his fingers numbly grasped at the scratchy fabric, his thoughts more prevalent to him than his actions. He finally snatched up the garment and threw it around his shoulders. The swift movement caused him to sway, but he was fine”he had to get to Sirius. Grabbing up his wand and walking out his back door, he made his way beyond the barrier and Apparated not seconds after he let out a soft hiccough.

*

Sirius stood on the threshold of his childhood bedroom, unable to walk into a room that fostered such unwelcome memories. When he had first arrived, he had merely thrown his tattered bag onto the bed from the hallway, and then walked down to the kitchen.

The Weasleys had been very kind, yet strained. It was as much as he had expected. He was, after all, a long thought mass murderer. Dinner had been quaint; he had loquaciously told vivid stories of his travels abroad for the past year, just to see the reaction. He received a white-faced woman and a man who asked many questions about the different types of Muggles he ran into.

Staring at the peeling posters, Sirius made his first step into the small room. Downstairs a shrill doorbell sounded. Moments after his ears were filled with the most unwelcome part of returning to this house: his mother’s voice. Skipping every other step on his way down the steps, he rushed into the candle-lit hallway to see what had stirred up the commotion. Stuffing his palms over his ears he looked around for the source of the shrieking.

“BLOOD TRAITOR! CONTAMINATING MY HOUSEHOLD! GET THE FILTH OFF THE RUG! DISGRACE TO THE FAMILY!”

Recognising the dark hair and pale skin of his late mother, Sirius rushed over to the screaming portrait. Grasping the billowing curtains, he yelled, “Shut up, Mother!” roughly before shoving them together. The hallway was now blanketed in silence. Ears ringing, Sirius turned toward the doorway.

“What’s this all about?” he asked nonchalantly. A bubble of laughter answered him from the shadows. Molly and Arthur glanced at each other before she stepped forward.

In a quiet voice she said, “Remus is here.” She glanced back at her husband before motioning for Sirius to move closer. “He’s in a right state, Sirius, do take care of him.”

Sirius glanced up at Remus who was swaying slightly on the spot, intermittently shaking himself as if trying to wake himself up from a bad dream. He looked briefly back down at Molly, before rushing over to his side. Sirius threw his arm over Remus’ shoulders and awkwardly began to walk him up to his room.

“First time I’ve ever met your mum, y’know that?” Remus said, as he attempted to straighten himself, shaking his shoulders.

“Lovely lady, isn’t she?”

“Voice. Lovely voice,” Remus said as his head slumped sideways onto his shoulders. Sirius faltered slightly as he began walking, but he led Remus to his old bedroom, finally crossing the imminent division. All the while, Remus was mumbling and laughing under his potent breath.

Sirius turned down the sheets for him, but after lying down, Remus slowly pushed himself back up as if he had forgotten to stay upright.

“Wait, Padfoot. Hello,” Remus announced as he attempted to steady himself with one hand on the soft mattress, his arm shaking precariously.

Sirius raised his eyebrows at his friend and replied, “Yes of course, hello darling, but you are lying down now.” Placing his hand on Remus’ shoulder, he firmly pushed the man down on the mattress.

“No! I came ‘ere with a reason! Even took a nap before.” He paused, attempting to send a wink in Sirius’ direction, but all he achieved was scrunching up his face. “Why did you wait so long to come back?” Neither man had moved from the pinned position; Sirius’ eyes were burning into the hazy ones of Remus. “T’was thirteen long years, then you’re gone again. I missed the MoonyPad times and the Marauders, Padfoot! Wha’s ‘appened to us all…” Remus shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

Sirius remained quiet, but he could tell Remus noticed that the odd glare had taken residence in his normally jovial eyes because his eyes were now reflecting back at him.

“Padfoot, I’m all right. Would you stop looking at me that way?”

Finally submitting to the hard push of his friend’s hand, Remus’ arm crumbled beneath him, and his eyes fluttered heavily closed.

Sirius was staring at his friend with an odd look on his face, one of confusion and sorrow. The tense shoulders had relaxed under his firm hands and the eyes had fallen heavily shut. Staring down at him, he sighed, shoulders slumping with defeat. He fell with a heavy thud down onto his knees, and rested his head on Remus’ steadily rising and falling chest.

“It’s just beginning, Moony. It’s just bloody beginning.”

*

He found the small woman humming happily in the dark kitchen as the dishes magically scrubbed themselves in the sink. Celestina Warbeck was playing softly in the background as she danced about directing a knife above a pile of washed carrots. Kicking aside the stool, Sirius sat down to an empty bowl that was moments later filled with steaming soup.

Silence between the two persisted as Molly continued to cook the rest of the meal, and Sirius slowly sipped the hot concoction. He could feel eyes glance over the back of his tangled head every so often, but still no words were spoken.

As his tarnished spoon clanged against the bottom of the bowl, he heard the voice very close behind him. “I’ve never seen Remus like that before. I’ve known the boy for quite a while, and never once…”

Sirius stayed hunched over his bowl; he had seen Remus in that state many times before. When they were in school, he, James, Remus, and Peter always used to sneak down to Hogsmeade and steal Firewhiskey from Madame Rosmerta; she would knowingly turn her back every time.

“I don’t know what it could be. Maybe it’s You-Know-Who, or Harry almost getting killed,” she said softly as she settled in next to him. “He’s taken quite a bit of responsibility for Harry, and I’m worried, Sirius. I might not know you, and I don’t quite know if I should trust you yet, but Remus does, so take good care of him?”

Sirius moved his eyes from the murky liquid to look at her; she had worry etched in the lines that creased over her face, but her eyes still shone with warmth. Her rosy cheeks were smudged with flour, and her apron was frayed at the edges. A burn hole was splashed in the middle of the thin bit of cloth, but she didn’t mind. She was worried about Remus.

“He takes responsibility for a lot of people,” Sirius said in a low voice, “but he’ll be all right. He’ll be fine.” A smooth grin formed on his lips as he looked reassuringly at Molly. “It’s nothing I haven’t dealt with before.”

She patted his arm kindly before taking his empty bowl to the sink. He stayed seated for a few moments before slowly standing up.

“Thanks for the soup, it was delicious.” He shut the kitchen door behind him before moving swiftly up the stairs.

The only source of light into his room was the cracked window in the corner. A harsh glow of the setting sun was cast across the still form lying on the bed. Sirius sat down underneath the window, resting his head against the cold wall, and bent his legs in front of him. He could see the dark, hot glow of the room through his closed lids. The dull thump of his heart beat against his ribs as he thought of the man lying ten feet from him.

He had missed him for thirteen years. Sitting alone in a cell allowed one to think, however morosely, a lot. As a dog he could block the creeping feeling of failure, the coldness would seep out of his bones for those few fleeting moments. He had always thought that Remus would never forgive him, that he had lost everything that night, but now he was able to grow again, to feel, and think, and love.

His head pounded as he thought of the night. Everything had gone amiss in a few short moments. When it was over, all he could do was laugh; Peter had outsmarted them. Peter.

Staring hard at the heavily breathing lump in the old bed, he thought of how his friend had changed. It must have been drastic for Molly to be so worried about a drunk Remus. So many years ago, the four boys had been carefree and alive; they had no restrictions or boundaries. Now, it seemed as if all Remus had done was set up a large barrier between himself and the rest of the world. He was darker and reserved, no longer a Marauder.

Sirius allowed a small grimace to slide over his lips as he slowly stood up from his position against the wall. He walked to the bed, the floorboards creaking underneath his worn shoes, and slid in next to Remus. He pulled the broken man close to him and breathed in deep the rotten stench of Firewhiskey. He laid with his head tucked into the crevasse of Remus’ neck for the hours that he slept, never moving nor falling victim to exhaustion.

He’d forgotten the smell of utter fatigue that lingered on Remus’ skin and in his bones. The feeling of his skin and body next to his took him back to carefree days by the lake and starry nights on the rooftops of the castle. He had never forgotten what this teenage boy had felt many years ago, and putting himself in this position was making it difficult to ward off the rush of dormant emotions. He knew that when Remus woke up, he would be less than comfortable with the situation, but it was something that Sirius was willing to risk.
Of Chocolate, Memories, and Excuses by Mistletoe
“I’m shamelessly addicted to chocolate.” His muffled voice came from somewhere in the depths of the creased pillow. “And water. I like water.” Remus felt the warm body shift and rise next to him, slowly moving out of the bed. The floor let out a slow moan as the heavy weight pressed down on it.

He buried himself deeper into the seemingly never-ending folds of the bed sheets and listened to the repetitive pounding of Sirius’ feet moving down the stairs that seemed to match the pounding of his own head.

Jolting his head up in realisation, which he instantly regretted, he remembered that Sirius had been in the bed next to him. The pounding of the feet on the stairs was now growing closer. Turning over to face the man that would soon enter, he squinted his eyes, allowing a smile on his face.

There he was, chocolate in one hand, water in the other.

“You dog.”

“Yes, I am a dog. Have been since I was fifteen. I am not, however, a drunkard as you are. Never could hold your liquor,” he replied as he walked to Remus, handing him the attempted remedies. “Molly slipped something in the water for your poor head.”

“Fantastic woman she is.” Remus took the glass and took a long sip, a warm feeling washing over his body, running to his fingertips and through his veins. The pounding lessened substantially, and he took a few more gulps to finish off the drink before taking the chocolate from Sirius’ outstretched hands.

Their fingers brushed. Sirius had been lying with him. Remus hadn’t had a drink in over five years.

“Back to my previous accusation,” Remus stated, taking a chunk out of the chocolate. “You’re a dog.”

Sirius sat at the foot of the bed, one side of his mouth curling into a smile. “It would be very kind of you to give me a bit more information as to what you’re accusing me of since I have been accused of being a dog when the word has had many different meanings.”

“You hopped in bed with me while I was sleeping, unawares. Took total advantage of me.”

“I assure you, no advantage was taken, however much it could have been.”

Remus chuckled and took the last few bites to finish his chocolate. Brushing his hands together over the edge of the bed, he looked back at Sirius to see that his joking manner was not reflected in his features. His upturned lips had faded into a grimace and his eyes were glazed over in thought, staring at invisible objects located somewhere near the floor.

“You don’t remember much of last night, then, do you?”

“Oh, dear.”

Frantic scenes shot through Remus’ mind as he tried to piece together the night before. He remembered sitting at his table then walking through his back door. He remembered arriving at the square in front of Grimmauld Place. He remembered looking up at Sirius as he was being pinned to the bed.

“I didn’t dance around naked, did I?” Remus asked, trying to catch Sirius’ fleeting glance, but his attempted jest hung dry in the air between them.

“No, Moony, nothing of the sort. You didn’t really do anything, other than giggling like a schoolgirl and drooling on my robes as I dragged you up the stairs. It was more of your presence that you seem to be forgetting.”

Remus went silent at these words that he had heard once many years ago, however different the implication.

--

“Would you walk faster?”

“Peter! You stepped on my toe.”

“Oops, thought that was just a root.”

“All bloody idiots you are.”

“Oi! There it is. Now all of you can shut up.”

They pushed open the door and the hinges creaked loudly. “I bet the people down in the village could hear that. No wonder they think this place is haunted.”

“They think it’s haunted because of you Moony, don’t fool yourself.” Sirius gave him a firm pat on the back and shoved him into the room after James. “Let’s get a move on. No need to keep the entire Gryffindor common room waiting, especially after that performance, James! Gryffindor, Slytherin, 340-50!”

Remus watched as Sirius twirled out of the shack’s door, singing songs dedicated to a blustering James, and Peter laughed along, prodding James. He joined the boys and walked down the beaten path that they had snuck along so many times, loudly laughing and joking in high spirits over the win.

When they reached the Three Broomsticks, they unlatched the back lock, as was normal, and walked in, taking care to lower their voices to merry whispers.

“Padfoot, it’s your turn to get it.”

“All right, but you all owe me. Last time Peter didn’t pay.”

The three boys stared back at him. “Sirius, you have not once paid any of us back for buying the drinks.”

Shrugging his shoulders, he peaked around the back wall, searching the patrons for the familiar faces of teachers, but found none. “Coast is clear.”

He sauntered out from their hiding place and around to the front of the bar. Rosmerta saw him and cast him a reproving glance before walking towards the other boys.

“You all are going to get caught in here one day,” she whispered to them before turning her back and grabbing an already made bag to hand to Sirius. She said a few words and he grinned back, probably tossing away one of his lines in return. Handing over a few Galleons, he said something inaudible from their stance and she laughed, shaking her head.

Bag in one arm, the other swaying nonchalantly by his side, he walked back, not pausing when he reached the other three, but continuing to walk. When they reached outside, he dropped his grandiose demeanour and hastily put the bag on the ground to examine its contents.

“She magically expanded it! I was wondering how this bag was going to be enough to supply the whole tower…” he said he rummaged through it, clanging bottles together, and occasionally pulling one out to examine it closer.

James grabbed one from his hand at one point. “Russian vodka! She was being really generous tonight, men.”

“She fancies Sirius, that’s why,” Peter said as he yanked the bottle from James’ grasp to get a better look.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Remus replied as he now took the bottle and place it back in the bag. “We’ve got to get going. Can’t keep everyone waiting…”

When they arrived back in the tower, miraculously not getting caught by Pringle, even with all the noise they were making, the party began.

The Marauders had broken apart to different parts of the room, but when Remus saw Sirius hop up on a table and start dancing, he decided it was time to take action. He allowed him to have his fun for a few more hideously embarrassing moments as he thrust his hips about before firmly gripping his hand and pulling him off the table. He toppled to the floor, bursting out in a fit of laughter.

“Help me up, Moony, help me…”

“Padfoot,” Remus reached down to, this time, pull his friend up from the ground, “I think it’s time we take a nap, hm?”

“Naps are for nappies. Bahaha nappies! I’m not a nappy.”

Remus stared for a moment before replying, “Might as well be. Let’s go before more people start spreading rumours that you are a nappy.”

“Okay.”

Apparently deciding it was time to submit, Sirius lead the way, however curvy his path. Walking up the stairs had never been so difficult in Remus’ life. “I feel like I’m teaching a child to walk,” he said as he shoved Sirius up the staircase, the drunken boy’s hands bracing him on the stone walls.

“So, you do think I should be wearing nappies.”

“Shove off.”

“A bit touchy tonight, are we, dear Remus?” Sirius asked as they reached the top and pushed through the door. “Mad that Rosmerta’s got a little crush on me, aren’t you?”

Remus remained quiet. Sirius, however, found the need to continue speaking. “Don’t know why you would be mad, my dear fellow, your presence in my life is something that you seem to be forgetting.”

“I don’t know what you’re on about,” Remus attempted, backing away towards his own four-poster.

“Yes, there you go forgetting again. Ah well, I guess we will just ignore our sneakiness.”

“So, you say I shouldn’t be mad that other girls pine over you as we sneak around?”

“Precisely! So glad you’re coming around.” At that, Sirius stripped out of his clothes, not bothering to put any others on and climbed into bed.


--

He looked hard at Sirius, studying the deepening lines of his face, the fading glory of his eyes: the eyes that were still so full of mischief and scandal, still longed for brilliance. His glance roamed over the broad shoulders and down to the poised hands of aristocracy tainted with jest; the hands that had worked so many women, so many of which had been unknowingly faceless.

His eyes jumped back up to Sirius’ and he said slowly, “I’ve forgotten my presence.”

Sirius’ face lit up in expectation, his very soul being exposed in the dark of his eyes. That night so many years ago had been the spark that had caused this fire to burn for so long, the fire that Remus felt radiating towards him, off of him, around him to this very day, however dulled it had been during those many years of uncertainty and supposed betrayal, it had once again exploded with warmth and energy.

“Yes, Moony, you seemed to have forgotten it.”

“Remus! Sirius!” A feminine voice permeated the walls of the room as the two men stared at each other.

“Looks as if we are being summoned,” Remus surmised in a monotone voice, “We should better continue this conversation later, hm?”

Sirius broke eye contact with his friend, patting the bedspread with finality before standing up. “Yes, later.”

The standing man awaited his friend as he peeled himself from beneath the layers of dusty covers.

“When was the last time Kreacher cleaned this place anyway?” Remus muttered as a particularly dangerous cloud of dust erupted in his face.

“No doubt never. Kreacher tends to the pitiful portrait of my deceased mother and that is about all in this house he minds to,” Sirius responded letting out a bark of laughter as his friend made his way to the door. “You aren’t going to go down there wearing that, are you?”

Remus looked down at his rumpled clothes and returned Sirius’ laugh with a red-faced grin. “Er, well since I apparently came over here on a bit of a whim, I didn’t actually bring a change of clothes,” he said as he attempted to smooth the wrinkles in his trousers.

“We can just charm a pair of my trousers to grow a bit, well everywhere if you know what I mean,” Sirius said, winking at Remus before he opened his armoire. “Yes, these will do just fine.” He pulled out a pair of trousers and with a flick of his wand, they grew a bit in size.

Sheepishly, Remus snatched the trousers from Sirius’ hand, “Thank you very much, I am not that much larger than you.”

“Oh, I’m just kidding with you, Moony. Look at me, I’m turning around as you change, not being the dog you think I am,” Sirius announced, his voice bouncing off the barren walls of his old room. “You know, I can’t believe I’ve still got some of these old posters in here…”

“All right! I’m changed now. Let’s get a move on.”

“But did you see me being all respectable back there””

“Yes, lovely example you’re setting, Sirius, couldn’t believe my eyes. Move,” Remus replied as his friend threw his hands up in exasperation, effectively blocking the door. Pushing past him, he made his way down the stairs, casting charms on himself as he passed by various mirrors and realised how roughed up he looked. When they made it down to the kitchen, Molly and Arthur were sitting beside each other at the table reading a letter.

“About time you two got down here,” Molly announced with narrowed eyes. “A letter just arrived from Dumbledore. We’re going to be having the first meeting tonight. Tonight! Could have given me a bit more of a warning than this letter. And the children are coming tomorrow.”

Remus looked over at Sirius and saw that he was looking at him as well. Sirius jumped a bit as Molly got up and started moving around the kitchen, apparently getting ready to prepare a meal.

“And you know, boys,” she began, her back turned to then as she started her work, “we need to do some cleaning around here. When the children arrive we will have some real help. Kreacher seems to have neglected everything in this house except that screeching portrait in the entry hall. A good dusting is in order, and then we can go from there. We need to make this house habitable. There will be many people coming and going now that meetings are starting.”

Remus’ eyes were still on Sirius’. “Considering that I am staying here?”

“Well, why wouldn’t you be, dear? Sirius has just returned and you two are the best of friends. I’m sure there is much catching up to do. And it’s not like this house doesn’t have enough room for you,” she invited as she Summoned a set a knives that came pouring towards her from an opened drawer.

“Yes, Remus, why wouldn’t you be?” Sirius said, a smile curling onto his lips.

“Well.” He shot Sirius a look. “I cannot turn down such a warm invitation, but I have no clothes.”

“Kreacher can get them for you. Kreacher!”

At that instant a loud CRACK filled the room and the dirty, snout-nosed House Elf appeared in front of them, muttering ill words in Sirius’ direction. He bowed to the floor; ill words loud as ever and snapped back up to face his Master.

“What is it that Kreacher can do for Young Master?” He asked, and continued under his breath, “No good run away. Broke Mistress’ heart…”

“Kreacher! Thank goodness,” Sirius gushed with false jollity, “Go to Remus’ house and get his clothes for him. Grab his robes and shoes please. Don’t forget anything. He will be with us for a while.”

“Anything for Young Master.” Kreacher once again bowed so low that his snout-like nose nearly touched the ground. He sneered at Sirius before snapping his fingers and he was gone.

“Never liked me. Ever. Anyway. What time is the meeting exactly?” Sirius and Remus had moved to the table to sit down.

This time, it was Arthur who spoke, “He said to expect him near sundown. The others could arrive anytime before that, though.”

The room fell into silence. Arthur took to the paper, flipping through the thin pages, a grimace appearing on his face every so often, and Molly continued with her work at the counter. Looking at Sirius, Remus felt at a loss for what to do next. Being sedentary was relaxing; it felt nice on his dehydrated body, but the air pulsing around Sirius told him that he was anxious to do something.

And indeed he was. His eyes bore into Remus’, giving him a meaningful look, and then looking pointedly at the door, then back at Remus, hoping he had received his discrete message. Remus shook his head, and then nodded, slowly standing up. Sirius placed his finger over his lips to signify a quiet exit, and they began to creep across the room. Sirius surpassed Remus, placing his hand on the small of his back to signify his doing so. At that precise moment, a crooked board beside the exit whined loudly as Sirius placed his cautious foot down on it.

They both ceased all movement, awaiting the inquiring that was surely about to arrive, and indeed, it came. “Just where do you two think you’re off too?”

Sirius’ eyes shut in dismay and he swung around, clasping his hands and straightening up. Remus followed suit, standing beside his friend, but opting to hide in the shadows to escape the questioning stare of the petite, but formidable woman glaring up at them. Sirius, however, stared at her with wide eyes. His mouth made like a fish on dry land, opening and closing, but no words escaped.

Molly’s questioning look turned harsh in a matter of seconds, and Remus took the silence form his friend with pity. Making up for it, he said quickly, “We, er, we were just on our way to”to dust! Yes, to dust.”

Remus offered her a smile, but avoided Sirius’ astounded look as he turned around and glared at him.

“Oh, wonderful! Thank you so much. I’m sure you’ll know when the first members arrive, but be prepared to stop working.” She happily turned back to her cooking and began humming, and Arthur could be heard chuckling from his spot at the table. They left the room quickly, Sirius effectively shoving Remus against the doorframe on the way out.

“What was that!” Sirius asked him incredulously, continuously shoving him as they made their way up the staircase. “Of all the excuses…”

“It was the first thing that came to mind that I knew would please her.”

Upon entering the first bedroom, they found that it was covered in a think layer of dust and more than a few Scouring charms would be needed to rid the room of the filth. Pulling out their wands, they began attacking every surface, billows of escaping dust returning their endeavours, but the dust slowly began to thin. A faint ring could be heard resounding through the house, followed closely by the shrieks of Sirius’ mother, as they were placing the finishing touches on the room.

Remus lowered his wand. “Looks as if our job has come to fruition, Sirius. Shall we? It seems your mother is calling you.”

“Disgrace to the family name! Allowing filth into the noble house of Black! Defacing our home!”

“Yes, she does seem to be calling me. Well, we must go tend to her “ we just cannot let her drawl onto the rest of the people in the house. It’s terribly boring to listen, don’t you think?” Sirius quipped as he exited the room, brushing himself, and making his way down the stairs.
Of Meetings, Small Gestures, and Extrapolation by Mistletoe
Sirius stood by the door, waiting as the last person walked through, making sure to tell them to remain as quiet as possible ” he had already thrown his mother’s curtains together five times since people had begun to arrive. Closing the door behind a particularly squat and jovial-looking woman, he breathed a sigh of relief. Old and new members of the Order of the Phoenix had been arriving for the past two hours, some giving him suspicious glares, other giving him frightened gazes, but no questions were asked, and of that he was grateful.

The kitchen was cramped; chairs of all sizes had been conjured and pulled up around the table to fit the large group of people who had gathered there. They were all chatting quietly, getting to know those who were going to stand beside them in battles to come.

Sirius looked down at his pocket watch.

Seven o'clock.

He tucked it safely away in his pocket and looked back up, studying those around him. He spotted Remus, sitting beside a bald black man with a gold hoop earring. Kreacher had brought Remus’ full wardrobe back, which consisted of a few tattered jumpers and trousers and two pairs of shoes. Sirius suggested he go shopping. Remus said shopping was for women.

Sirius was pulled from his thoughts by a thin, red haired man. “You shouldn’t let my wife order you around as she did earlier,” he muttered quietly, eyes searching the crowd before looking at Sirius.

He chuckled before replying, “Your wife is a formidable woman. It’s quite easy to back down under her glare.”

“Yes, I suppose it is,” Arthur mused as his eyes stared at nothing in particular.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me…”

“Oh, yes. Of course.”

Sirius made his way towards the empty seat beside Remus, weaving his way between groups of talking people, nodding his head in greeting and occasionally saying hello to those whom he remembered the names of. He finally made it to the other side of the kitchen table, only after accidentally kicking Alastor Moody’s leg thinking it was a stool. Sliding into the chair, he caught the slow words that had just slipped out of the other man’s mouth.

“…Auror that is in charge of Sirius’ search. Yes, I will probably be telling Scrimgeour and the Minister sometime this week that I have a lead he is somewhere near South Africa.”

He watched as Remus’ mouth moved in response, but he didn’t hear the words come out: Dumbledore had just arrived in a flourish of deep blue robes. The chatter died down considerably as people began to greet the withered man, but he took up post at the head of the table instead of socialising. Conversation ceased as he cleared his throat, and people sat down, seats scraping along the wooden floor to get closer to the man standing before them.

“Welcome to the first Order of the Phoenix meeting. As you all well know from the letter that you received from either myself or Alastor Moody, we are here today to discuss the guard of Harry Potter, amongst other introductory topics.”

At these last words, Sirius’s eyes snapped to Dumbledore’s, only to see the eyes of the old man looking directly back into his.

He continued, his eyes roaming over the crowd, "I'm going to need serious volunteers for a guard to escort Harry here later this summer.”

“Well, I can”” Sirius began, but was cut off mid-sentence.

“No, Sirius, you cannot go. Harry wouldn't want you to risk it, you know that. We also need to set up a group of people to guard the Department of Mysteries. Within those walls is something Voldemort wants, something he needs should he wish to destroy Harry””

“What’s hidden there?”

“We’d like to know jus’ exactly what’s for protecting ‘ere, Dumbledore.”

Dumbledore let out a slow breath at the interruption and made a calming motion with his palms. “Now, now Mundungus and Remus, we shall know in good time. I trust that you all are willing to do whatever it takes to prevent this from occurring. I should warn you all that telling our secrets, no matter how small, to Harry when writing to him could have serious consequences.””He shot Sirius a look”“Most likely when he finally arrives here, he will be angry and frustrated as well. I assure you, leaving him out of knowledge is the best thing for Harry right now. He's just suffered a horrible tragedy and normal life is what he needs.”

He paused, allowing each member to take in the monologue before asking, “Now, who wants to be part of Harry's guard?"

Sirius watched as various hands shot into the air, volunteering themselves away to help in the fight against Voldemort, but he remained quiet. After Dumbledore had interrupted his attempted volunteering, he knew better than to try again. For now, at least.

Feeling Remus casually lean back and throw his arm around Sirius’ chair took his mind completely off the task at hand and onto the one behind his back. Turning to Remus, he caught his eye, if only for a moment, and in that moment, he knew Remus was remembering his presence. He saw a jaunty grin slide onto Remus’ face, and in that moment, it was obvious. The air between them had thinned and cleared due to this small gesture, and it made Sirius’ stomach twist into knots. His life was falling back into place.

He settled comfortably back in his chair, the heat of Remus’ arm barely touching his back, but he liked it that way. It was almost taunting him to move closer, but he knew he shouldn’t.

Remus looked briefly at Sirius, as if he was contemplating a tough decision before raising his hand in the air to claim a position on Harry’s Advanced Guard. Watching as Dumbledore took note of Remus’ offering, and Remus slid his hand back to the armrest before looking back at Sirius, his eyes filled with guile.

Remus whispered as he leaned toward Sirius, “I figured you would rather someone you trusted gather Harry than a new member of whose allegiances we aren’t certain yet.”

Understanding lit within Sirius at this comment, but he needn’t respond. The meeting continued to flourish around them, people volunteering for this position here, Dumbledore assigning times of post at certain places, and the general chatter of new acquaintances all seemed to exclude Sirius and Remus. The world seemed to fade, and all Sirius could hear was the beating of his heart and the breath escaping Remus’ mouth. He continued to stare ahead at Dumbledore, but his mind was focused on the man beside him.

The end of the meeting was brief. Dumbledore assigned people to the watch of Harry and the Department of Mysteries on rotating shifts. Sirius, of course, was not part of either watch. Instead, he would be barricaded inside the house that he had loathed as a child and swore he would never come back to.

Vaguely registering that those around him were standing to leave, Sirius pulled himself out of his thoughts and into the action of the room, only to see Remus stationary beside him. Sirius nudged his chair. Receiving a slight nod in response, he stood and vanished his Conjured chair.

He watched as those around him departed, and felt Remus standing beside him. Nodding every so often in goodbye, he hardly participated in post-discussion of the first meeting. He was too busy thinking about the meeting to voice his opinion. Harry was going to be watched secretly, and Sirius wasn’t allowed to notify him of it. He wasn’t able to tell him anything, really. Welling anger soon accompanied the pang of regret that had taken residence in his chest. Dumbledore was purposefully leaving Harry in the dark, and Sirius knew that it would not make Harry happy in the slightest. Feeling a light elbow in his side, he looked to his left to see Remus’ eyes level with his.

“Any particular reason you’re staring so hard at the sink?” Remus asked him through the corner of his mouth.

“It’s Harry. I know he’s not going to take well when he finds out he’s been watched all summer,” Sirius replied as he closed the door behind the final person’s back. Molly and Arthur had retired to their room for the night, so the kitchen was vacant save for them.

Sitting at the table, Remus said, “It’s for Harry’s own good. I know that he will be frustrated and angry with everyone here, especially Ron, Hermione, and you”” He looked pointedly at Sirius “”but Dumbledore has his reasons, and we best stick to his orders.”

By this time, Sirius was sitting across from him. “Remus, I understand all of your logic clearly, but I don’t like it. I don’t like this whole situation on Harry’s behalf. Why not just bring him here earlier?” Sirius asked, his emotion taking control as he slammed his hand on the table.

At that precise moment, as the echo of flesh slapping wood echoed through the room, a crash came from the hallway, followed by a muffled curse word and the shrieks of Walburga Black’s portrait.

“I didn’t hear the doorbell ring. Wonder who’s here?” Remus mused as he stood. Sirius mirrored his motions, pushing himself up from the table by the support of his palms and stepped over the sitting bench. Moving swiftly across the room, Sirius heaved the door open and moved up the stairs. He heard Remus following close behind him. When he reached the top of the rotting, black stairs, he saw a body lying on the floor, complete with a shock of green hair. She was face down, but her arms were bent in attempt to right herself. Beside her lay a toppled troll’s leg umbrella stand. He rushed over and thrust together the moth-eaten curtains, and the hallway was shrouded in silence, the lack of noise ringing in his ears.

“Hello, I’m Sirius Black, I take it you had a duel with the troll’s”Tonks!” Sirius rambled before promptly interrupting himself once his cousin had stood up completely. “You look… different.”

“Surprising, you know, to see a Metamorphmagus change appearance,” she replied, a sly grin jumping to her lips. “Anyway, wotcher, Sirius! It’s been a while. What, thirteen, fourteen years?”

She moved forward and grasped Sirius in a friendly hug before pulling back and glancing at Remus.

“Last time I saw you, you were all pigtails and not in school. Can’t believe I recognised you as is…” Sirius trailed off, a thoughtful look taking residence in his eyes. “Right, this is Remus Lupin, you remember him, perhaps, from my school years?”

Tonks looks hard at Remus, the grin appearing once again on her heart-shaped, playful face. “No, don’t recall him. Pleasure to meet you,” she said. He nodded his regards. “Where’s the meeting?”

Sirius shot Remus a look of confusion, only to see interest written in the features of his friend. Slightly taken aback, Sirius spluttered, “M-meeting ended about twenty minutes ago.”

Shaking away the sudden contemptuous feeling at his cousin for evoking such a look from Remus, he relaxed his composure and turned to her. She wore a look of confusion, her brows close together, forming a ‘v’ of thought, and her mouth pursed.

Sirius remained quiet for a moment before he said, “Fancy a drink?”

Seeming to forget that she had forgotten the meeting, she replied, “Sure, is your friend going to join us?”

Sirius let out a laugh as he turned and led the way back down the steps and into the kitchen.

--

Remus sat across from the two relatives, a drink in hand. The small witch in front of him chattered merrily about her job as an Auror, about how she had barely passed her examinations, but her ability to change appearance pulled her through parts of the test better than others. He watched as she unknowingly knocked her drink over, then immediately laid her robe on the spreading liquid. The bubbling ale seeped into the fabric of her sleeve like a dry sponge, and she instantly yanked her arm up, effectively showering Sirius with droplets of the liquid.

She apologized profusely for spilling on the table and getting him wet, but Sirius rebuffed both apologies. He whipped his wand out, vanished one mess and dried the other. Remus couldn’t help but smile at the two people in front of him.

He mentally slapped himself. He should only be staring at one of the people on front of him. Only the man on the right should cause this faint attraction to bubble inside him like the carbonation of his drink. But strangely, this woman, or girl, really, had caused him to instantly be interested in her lively tales and chipper mood. She seemed so alive to him, the opposite of her surroundings, as if she were completely unfazed by the gloomy doorways and sombre elf heads. No, she didn’t seem to have a care in the world.

“Remus, you still awake over there? You haven’t said a word to our guest. I’ve known you to be a gentleman,” Sirius said, pulling Remus from his thoughts. Remus took a sip of his drink, looking between the two sets of curious eyes that were gazing back at him.

“I’m listening politely, as a gentleman would do, instead of bombarding her with comments, as you are doing,” Remus replied. He took another sip of his drink.

“You, dear Moony, are ignoring””

“Blasphemy! I am not ignor””

“Moony?” The small voice croaked from amidst Remus and Sirius’ playful, yet strained, banter. “Why is your nick-name ‘Moony’?”

The two men instantly fell into silence, searching for the right way to word the explanation. Setting his drink down, Remus prepared himself for yet another moment in his life when he exposed what he was to another person. Across from him, Sirius was opening and closing his mouth like a fish in search of oxygen. Neither seemed able to find the right words so quickly.

“Well, Tonks,” Remus began, taking a slow breath. “I am a””

“Afraid of the sun! So we call him Moony,” Sirius finished. “You know, a moon is the opposite of the sun…”

Tonks looked nothing short of affronted. “You’re frightened of the sun?”

Remus shook his head. “Sirius, that makes me sound stranger than I really am.”

“Remus, you are not strange,” Sirius said forcefully, leaning across the table towards Remus. The latter sighed at the worn out reassurance from Sirius. He had heard it almost too many times.

Remus looked at Sirius from under hooded eyes, winked, and looked to Tonks. “I’m a werewolf.”

Tonks’ reaction to Remus’ confession was the opposite of anything he’d ever experienced. Instead of seeing horror fleet across her face, then offering her condolences, she said, “Wicked! Well, not the transforming bit, but with the Wolfsbane, you get to roam free, right? I bet it’s interesting to see the world from a wolf’s eyes.”

Her face was full of attentiveness, and she too had leaned towards him. Now both bodies opposite him were leaning forward in what appeared to be keen interest.

“I’ve never looked at it that way,” he cranked out slowly, his words crawling off his tongue. “It’s always been more of a burden than a blessing.”

“I see where you’re coming from, obviously, but think about it. You have an advantage over everyone else, save other werewolves, to see the night in a way they do not,” she said, her voice almost a whisper, as if she were disclosing some terrible secret that was suppose to be left untold.

Again, Remus felt Sirius’ penetrating eyes upon him as Remus looked at Tonks with a strangled delight. He wouldn’t”couldn’t”see that side of his condition, but it was refreshing to hear the words voiced in the open, all prejudices aside.

“You must understand”” Remus began but was cut off by Sirius’ slicing glare, then his words.

“Remus, don’t you agree it’s time to go to sleep? It’s getting quite late,” Sirius said promptly.

Remus lifted his arm from the table and looked at his worn gold wristwatch. A frown furrowed his eyebrows. “Sirius, you’re hardly one to set in early, and it’s only ten o’clock.”

“Full moon in two days. You should be getting your sleep, Moony. I shouldn’t have to remind you of that,” Sirius said, as he did his best impression of Molly Weasley, tut-tutting and all.

Remus Vanished the liquid from his glass and Levitated it to the sink. “I feel strangely like the roles have switched here, Padfoot.”

Sirius ignored his comment as he gathered the remaining dishes and put them in the sink. Remus and Tonks rose from the table after throwing each other, then Sirius, significant glances. The two said their goodbyes to the lively girl in the kitchen before creeping quietly into the entry way and parting ways. Remus and Sirius continued up the worn stairs, past the severed elves heads, and onto the first floor landing. Remus made to walk into his respective room, which was located diagonally across the hall from Sirius’. However, Sirius grabbed hold of Remus’ robes and pulled him into his bedroom.

“What was that?” Sirius hissed, throwing his arms in the air, extremely reminiscent of a hippogriff.

Remus knew what he was getting into, but still, he asked, “What are you on about?” He sat down lightly on the edge of the bed.

“You are far smarter than that, Remus John Lupin”yes, I used your full name, and yes, I know I only use it when I’m angry,” Sirius said, responding to the silenced protests from Remus as he paced back and forth in front of him. His hands continued to make wild gestures in the air.

Sighing, Remus did know why Sirius was acting this way. This was a hole he had dug himself into, and he was more than ready to get himself out of it. Sirius meant more to him than anyone at this point in his life. He stood from his recently reclined position and moved beside Sirius, who was standing next to the window. Sirius’ heavy brows were creased with thought as he looked through the curtains of his room and into the courtyard. Remus moved between his penetrating gaze and the window, his actions hesitant but firm.

Looking levelly into Sirius’ eyes, Remus thought only a moment before he spontaneously grasped Sirius’ face and kissed him. It was the first thought that came to mind when he stood near his adolescent friend, to hold him and kiss him. But right now, he needed it. There was no greater need in Remus’ body than to reassure Sirius that he was the one, not Tonks.

He pushed himself roughly away from Sirius, as if he were ripping apart a piece of paper. Inches in front of him, the dark eyes and features of Sirius Black, the man’s name perfect yet so contradictory, showed questions that still hadn’t been answered.

“Have I shown you my presence enough yet, Black? Or would you like me to extrapolate?” Remus said, his voice guttural and shaky. The questions in Sirius’ eyes seemed to fall liked leaves from a tree, only instead of settling on the ground, they blew away in the wind, vanishing from his eyes.

“Extrapolation would be nice…” Sirius said, as he now grabbed hold of the man standing close in front of him, grasping him hard against his body. Remus hadn’t felt this alive in years, and every memory of why he had loved Sirius came flooding back to him in this moment. It was the true feeling of life he gave Remus.
Of Muggle Lessons, Happiness, and Disguises by Mistletoe
A little more than a fortnight had passed since the first meeting, and in following it, two meetings had occurred. Not much had been established in these two meetings besides the ambiguity of Voldemort’s and the Death Eaters’ whereabouts, as well as who was even a Death Eater to begin with.

Dumbledore’s appearances were few and far between, and amidst his absence many opinions and ideas were formed. Usually said opinions were shunted aside at the arrival of the venerable man and replaced with his own ideas which seemed to be widely worshiped as the omnipresent overview of every man and woman in the group. There were those select few, Sirius included, who believed Dumbledore’s lack of action to be a submission to Voldemort’s heightening power. So, as Sirius always did, he spoke his opinion widely and clearly, which gained the support of others, while ostracising the devout believers in everything that Dumbledore said as universal truth.

Sirius so openly voicing his opinions seemed to cause a flurry of surprise in the other members of the Order, as they were still not used to him being a free and innocent man. Others were warming up rather quickly, his young cousin Tonks included, but there were those whose lasting prejudices never seemed to fade.

On one particularly warm and slow day, Remus and Sirius sat in the drawing room for lack of better scenery. The room was dusty, to say the least. It had years of infestations lurking in hidden corners and shut cupboards. Many different jewels and decorations hung and sat within glass-faced cabinets, across from which a tapestry hung. The tapestry was not grandiose to certain standards, but it was magnificent as the house was. It had branches weaving through the descending heads of family members. However, some spots were blown away, singed around the edge as if burnt.

Sirius stared at one hole in particular, one hole that had caused his blood to boil as a child. This spot, frayed from abandonment and faded as the rest of the tapestry, was burning into his mind as he stared at it. Strings lingered across the gape, seemingly holding onto something that had long passed by.

He turned away suddenly, his thoughts broken by a commotion by the door. A boy had entered, followed closely by a girl with bushy brown hair. Apparently the argument was over the exertion that was needed for their job against lack of interest in said job.

“Hermione, we can skate over it. My mum isn’t going to notice,” the tall redhead moaned.

“It’s not about doing the work, Ron, it’s about making this place inhabitable. Now”Oh, hello,” Hermione replied to Ron’s mangled whines before interrupting herself at the sight of the two men.

Sirius’ face lit up with amusement, his morose thoughts vanishing from his mind. “Hello, Hermione, Ron. Glad to see you can join us on this lovely day of dusting, don’t you agree, Remus?”

Remus stood from his seat beside the tapestry and moved beside Sirius. He nodded his head and grinned. “You two will be doing it the Muggle way since you aren’t of age yet.” He paused, his merry eyes shifting to Sirius. “Good luck to the both of you; I don’t remember how to use a duster. Pathetic, eh?”

“I can show you then, Professor!” Hermione replied brightly. “I live in a Muggle house, after all.”

Grabbing the grey feather dusters lying on the table, she handed one to Ron and another two to Remus and Sirius. Placing an extra on the table, she gripped her duster firmly in her hand. Sirius watched in amusement as the girl instructed the three on how to properly banish dust from surfaces. In no time at all, the foursome was moving around the room, sweeping their dusters around and effectively clearing the room of dust.

Sirius stared at the small device in his hand with incredulity. He couldn’t believe he was actually manually dusting this large room when he had the option to simply charm it away. It was all in fun and games, he supposed, as he finished off the fireplace mantle.

A cloud of particularly angry dust puffed into his face as Remus swept his duster violently towards Sirius with a flourish. Coughing from his coated nostrils, Sirius let out a bark of laughter as Remus’ mischievous grin met his eyes. Retaliating, Sirius, pushing the remaining dust in Remus’ direction, caused Remus’ eyes to widen before he erupted in a raspy string of coughs.

“I think,” he rasped, “the dusting is finished.” Sirius’ laughter continued as Ron’s look of relief overwhelmed his features.

Hermione turned to look at Remus, who was now bent double with his coughing fit. “Are you all right, Professor?”

“Please, call me Remus.” He looked up, his eyes watering. “I’m fine.” His coughing fit ensued.

“Are you sure he’s okay?” Hermione asked Sirius, her voice laced with worry as she glanced back and forth between the two men.

Sirius grinned. “If he can correct how someone addresses him, I’m sure he’s fine. It’ll pass.”

Remus stood up, his eyes still watering, and lifted his wand. “Aguamenti,” he whispered, turning his wand so the water shot in his opened mouth. After a moment, he straightened up, wiped his eyes, and cleared his throat.

“Yes, I’m fine, thanks very much, Hermione,” Remus said, his coughing finally ceased. “No thanks to Sirius.”

“All right then, I’m getting lunch,” Ron announced at the opportune moment, clapping his hands together. “Any one want to join me?”

“I am rather hungry,” Hermione agreed.

“Sounds good to me. Haven’t had anything but tea this morning,” Remus replied. Moving to follow Ron and Hermione’s retreating backs, Remus turned to make sure Sirius was going to join them.

“Are you coming, Sirius?”

Sirius had taken station in front of the great tapestry, staring at all those who shared his blood. Being in this house had gotten better, even if only marginally. Having others around was a definite catalyst in helping Sirius shunt out the old memories, but the more painful still lingered.

“I watched her blast me off this. My own mother,” Sirius muttered, his eyes bouncing from singe to singe. “Most of us didn’t even have a choice to be on here any longer. Marius was a squib, three of them married the wrong person, and the rest supported the wrong cause.” He sighed, his eyes lingering over where his head should have been before he turned his back to the tapestry.

Remus raised his eyebrows, his question still unanswered. Knowing that Remus was a tried and true soldier who had marched through the Black family’s many confined wars by Sirius’ side, the latter took the silence as simply that. There was no more comfort that could be offered to a hole that would never quite heal.

“Yes, coming.”

*

The kitchen smelled mouth-watering, the delicious aroma of baked goods and meat somehow managing to completely mask the underlying scent of decaying wood. Molly’s cooking never ceased to amaze anyone.

The Weasleys and Hermione had already finished their meals, and Sirius had moved to the library in search of a good book, leaving Remus behind to make tea. Remus knew that Sirius was having a difficult time being confined within the walls of his old home. He understood it, the painful memories that came along with certain surroundings. It was an emotion that was very prominent in his vault of memories.

As a student at Hogwarts, Remus had always been confined in the Shrieking Shack as a werewolf. The damages of his latest visit would haunt him in the forms of broken furniture and boarded up windows. On the nights that his three friends had joined him, they would break away from the Shack and run free through the forests.

An idea suddenly hit Remus like a hippogriff at high speed. He would escape to the forest, so Sirius could escape to the outside world. He knew it would be dangerous. Almost too dangerous. Surely there were Death Eaters keeping watch on this house”what if they saw a shaggy-haired dog loping around outside? Peter must have told You-Know-Who what form Sirius took by now.

Of course it was too risky.

Remus finished stirring the honey into his tea and absentmindedly clinked the spoon on the cup’s edge to dry it. Picking up the petite china, he walked to the library, the thoughts of escape still fresh on his mind. Sirius would forever be grateful to him if he helped him sneak out for just a few hours. Feeling like his was a seventeen-year-old formulating a secret escape plan, he made his final decision. Only if Sirius was up for it of course.

Opening the door to the library, he spotted Sirius on the far side. He was sitting, legs crossed, with a book resting lightly in his hand. His face was so different than the face Remus remembered from their childhood. A wave of woes swept through his body, and for some reason, the feeling of ripening age hit him. When they were younger, it had seemed nothing could stop them, not Filch or Severus Snape, but now everything had changed.

It was like they had been on a fast, rather flat rollercoaster. It would hit its bumps and falls every so often, but they were minor bumps, bumps that did not affect the next day. When they had still been young and lively, everything had hit a terrible standstill. All of Remus’ friends had seemingly died to him. At least to his presence. And now he had his Sirius, the one that deep down meant the most to him. The differences were great, but he could still see his childhood lover beneath the wrinkles and weariness.

His Sirius was still alive, and it was up to him to let him run free.

“Remus, you want to stop lingering by the door and have a seat? You look a bit frightened,” Sirius said, shaking Remus from his reverie.

Sitting down, Remus felt his face was still frozen in the apparent look of fright, but he couldn’t shake it. He felt the sudden urge to do something dangerous or daring. Everything had been too stagnant for too long.

“You want to get out?” Remus treaded carefully, his voice to unsure for such a radical topic.

“Out?” Sirius hedged, the old gleam creeping up in his eyes. “What exactly is this “out” you speak of?”

Remus cleared his throat; he hadn’t remembered the last time he’d felt this reckless, or if he’d ever felt this reckless before. The logically part of his mind was screaming for him to back out now, erase all Sirius’ hopes of a bit of fresh air, but his love for Sirius pushed him forward. After years of his own secret being locked up inside, he had revelled in setting himself free. If only Sirius could be set free for life.

“The outdoors,” Remus announced. His head spun with the idea of the heinous repercussions this simple action could have. “And not the backyard.”

Sirius froze. “Are you insane, Remus?” His voice held no accusation, instead there was the excitement of breaking the rules bouncing in his erupting voice.

“I think so, yes.”

“What if Death Eaters are watching the house?” The idea of getting caught seemed to only make Sirius more excited. “They have to know my form by now. What with that treacherous rat telling Voldemort.”

Remus stayed silent. He couldn’t tell if this plan would ruin all the Order had worked for in keeping Sirius a secret, or if it would be a simple walk in the park. What if they could pull it off?

“You could put a Disillusionment Charm on yourself so you would be relatively hidden and I could go as a dog,” Sirius formulated his plan through clenched, excited teeth. “Just a few minutes away so I could possibly get a glimpse of a human in the outside world to convince me that, in fact, the world has not dissolved around me.”

Remus nodded, the excitement of the plan weaving through his numb veins. He couldn’t even remember his doubts as he looked at Sirius’ face. The rush of childhood swooped through his body at the sight of the rejuvenated man in front of him.

“Well, let’s go then!” Sirius said in response to Remus’ silence. He seemed to be ignoring the idea that Remus could be second-guessing his insane idea.

As Sirius marched towards the door, the possible consequences finally came crashing down one Remus. He felt like he had just sobered from a drunken night.

“Wait, Sirius. This isn’t a good idea,” Remus began, trying to convince the crazy side of his brain that he did indeed have a conscience. “There are far too many things that could go wrong. Think of everything everyone has done and risked for you in order to keep your location private. You’re risking being jailed again.”

Sirius turned, his eyes burning with desire for freedom. “It was your idea, Remus. Come on.”

Remus’ feet remained planted on the floor; the rebellious side of his brain was doing a very good job at taking over the logical part. On top of that, the look of utter joy that was staring him straight in the face was so hard to turn down, he didn’t know if his feeble voice of reason was going to last much longer.

“We won’t get caught,” Sirius began again. “I just know it. I promise we won’t stay out for much more than ten minutes. Come on. Just put one foot in front of the other. All you have to do is sit on the front step.”

At the idea of Sirius staying in the square only for a few minutes, the rebellious side finally took over and Remus was sold. Only for a few minutes, though.

“All right, but””

Remus was silenced by Sirius’ mouth as he bounded over and gave him an exuberant kiss, laced with adrenaline and excitement.

“Please,” Remus uttered when Sirius pulled away, “be careful. It’s all I ask. At the first sign, or whiff, in your case, of anyone, we have to immediately go inside. Can you handle that?”

“Of course. I’m not completely reckless,” Sirius’ fading voice replied as he hurried out of the library and down the hall to the front door. By the time Remus had followed his footsteps, he was looking into the panting face of a dog.

“I can’t believe we’re doing this, or that no one else has seen us yet,” Remus muttered as he tapped his head with his wand. His body instantly shimmered out of sight. “All right, let’s get this over with.”

Sirius’ panting tempo increased as Remus shoved the door open. Squinting his eyes in the bright sunlight, Remus did as was planned and sat on the front steps. Sirius immediately ran out to the open square and jumped around, barking and chasing his tail. Apparently, he caught sight of a butterfly as he proceeded to jump alarmingly high in the air and snap his jaw. After a tiring ten minutes, he flopped to the ground and let out a huge sigh. Remus couldn’t help but grin at the sight of Sirius acting like his old self. It was remarkably refreshing.

Remus watched as Sirius rolled himself onto his back, shaking his body to scratch. As suddenly as all had gone calm, Sirius jumped to his feet. His head jerked towards Remus as he held his nose high in the air. Immediately understanding the gesture, Remus stood up. Sirius came bounding to the door faster than Remus could turn around and began scratching his thick claws across the old wood. Lunging forwards, Remus threw the door open, allowing Sirius to slip though the small opening just as a man appeared around the corner of the street. Stepping inside so only his head was poking out, Remus squinted at the man in attempt to get a better look at him.

“Remus, get inside! I can’t even see you in the darkness,” Sirius muttered frantically as he tapped his wand on Remus’ head to reverse the Disillusionment Charm. He pulled Remus away from the door and closed it. “Did you recognise him?”

The hallway almost seemed too quiet as Sirius stared at Remus with bright, anxious eyes. It seemed as if the thrill of escape had not worn off, even in the moment of uncertainty. Remus shook his head just as the doorbell let out a shrill ring. They looked at each other in alarm. It definitely had not been a member of the Order that Remus had seen. The shrieks of Sirius’ mother didn’t faze Remus as he shunted Sirius into a side room and prepared to open the door.

As he grasped the handle, he mentally shook himself. The only reason he was so keyed up was because they had just broken the rules. This was most likely someone who had just Apparated here, and the man from around the corner was probably just walking home.

Pushing the door open, a tremor ran down his body, it was the same man from around the corner.

Just as he began to slam the door shut, the man put his hand out and said, “Wait! It’s me.”

“Tonks?” Remus and Sirius said at the same time.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=75431