Who Am I? by mudbloodproud
Summary:

What happens when you find out your whole life has been a lie? How do you react when the people you trusted, believed in confess to hiding a secret that changes everything you believed about yourself?

Hermione Granger is about to face that situation.

The war is over and life should be simple. She should be planning her future with the man she has loved since she was 11. But now, she doesn’t know who she really is. As she struggles with the grief of lost friends, she also deals with the grief of the loss of everything she believed about herself. Can she open her heart enough to let Ron help her deal with this, or will this secret drive them apart?


Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 34492 Read: 70281 Published: 04/29/08 Updated: 08/11/09

1. Prologue by mudbloodproud

2. The Letter by mudbloodproud

3. A Long Held Secret by mudbloodproud

4. Further Explanations by mudbloodproud

5. Hermione's Decision by mudbloodproud

6. The First Step to Acceptance by mudbloodproud

7. Treasured Memories Found by mudbloodproud

8. More Missing Pieces by mudbloodproud

9. Letters, Unanswerable Questions and the Truth Told by mudbloodproud

10. Heartbreak and the Next Step by mudbloodproud

11. Truth, Tears and a Joke by mudbloodproud

12. A Plan Between Friends by mudbloodproud

13. Complications by mudbloodproud

14. To Save a Life by mudbloodproud

15. A Daughter's Confession by mudbloodproud

16. A New Start by mudbloodproud

Prologue by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), iloverupertgrint (Stacey), eleven49. They have been wonderful through the changes I have made.


“We have to tell her. Now, before she finds out on her own, before she reverses the Memory Charm on her parents!” Professor McGonagall spoke to a portrait hanging behind the headmistress’s desk.

“Minerva, there is very little risk that Hermione reversing her Memory Charm will undo the other charm on her parents. That charm has been in place for seventeen years, so why should it be affected now?” Professor Dumbledore smiled down at the new headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Albus, I just don’t think we can take that chance. As I said yesterday, she deserves to know the truth. I understand you did not want to tell her before because of the danger she would have been in from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, but now there is no reason not to tell her.”

“You still avoid saying Voldemort’s name, Minerva? He is dead. We must encourage the use of his name or the fear that has plagued the Wizarding world will last long after Voldemort himself. As for revealing her true parentage, I do not think any good can come from it; in fact, it may even be harmful to her. Imagine finding out the past seventeen years of your life have been a lie? That the two people you believe are your parents are, in truth, not your blood relatives. That even though your mother ‘remembers’ giving birth to you, in actuality she didn’t. Finding out that the torment you underwent during school was unimaginably uncalled-for.” For a few moments, Dumbledore sat back in his chair deep in thought. Then Dumbledore looked across the room to another portrait that had been just recently hung on the wall.

“Severus, what do you think?” he asked.

“I don’t know what to think. I still do not understand why I was not informed of this. How could you keep this from me, knowing my feelings about . . .” Severus Snape’s voice trailed off. His eyes, while flashing with anger over being kept in the dark on this issue, held the sheen of tears.

“Why didn’t I tell you?” Dumbledore asked. “Why indeed? Your treatment of the girl was bad enough without you having known her true heritage. Would you have treated her better? I think not.” Dumbledore’s voice was harsh, but Snape didn’t look affected by his tone. “While you would have lost your anti-Muggleborn reasoning, you would have gained another, more powerful weapon to use against her. No, keeping this information from you was in her best interest. Can you honestly tell me she would have been better off, that you would have treated her with more respect had you known who her true parents were?”

Snape looked at Dumbledore without replying. He knew that he would have treated Hermione differently had he known. Better? No. He would not have been able to get over his hatred of her father. He would have treated her like he treated Harry Potter, which was certainly not kindly. Snape knew now that it was too late to undo his previous mistakes or to ever make up for his treatment of the boy. Snape was wrong in that and he was ashamed, but he was dead now and there wasn’t any way to change the past.

“Minerva,” Dumbledore said, “contact Hermione. Ask her, along with Harry and Ron, to stop by Hogwarts before she goes to Australia to get her parents. Though I am worried as to the effect the truth will have on her, telling her the truth is long overdue. We will tell her, tell the three of them, the truth.”


Nodding at Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall left the headmistress’s office, heading to the Owlery to send a letter to Hermione immediately.

***

When Professor McGonagall returned to her office, she walked in on a heated discussion between Professors Dumbledore and Snape. Neither man noticed her entrance.

“If I had been told the truth years ago, I would have told you that she should be told the truth, all of it. Why did you keep her in the dark? Did you fear her anger over the secret? Or someone else’s? I don’t think it was solely because of the danger she would have been in from Voldemort. You managed with my help, of course, to keep Harry safe, why wouldn’t you have been able to keep her safe too?” Snape’s voice was cold, filled with the frustration he felt over not being let in on the truth.

“Her anger? Yes, but, Severus, try to understand the guilt and shame that I feel as well. I have been quite uncourageous in keeping this from her for seventeen years.” Dumbledore paused, thinking. “But it is past time to tell her the truth. I should never have done what I did, though it was done with the best intentions. As were many of the things I did over the past seventeen years.” Dumbledore looked over at Severus, and then realizing Professor McGonagall had returned, directed his next comments to her.

“Minerva, I expect they will be here first thing tomorrow. I must, of course, inform the other two people whom this will affect. This will not be easy. No, Severus, I know what you are thinking, and I do not want you to accompany me. Emotions will be running high enough once I reveal the truth to them; I do not think it will be a good idea if you are there. Minerva, I will return by morning.”

With that Professor Dumbledore walked out of his portrait to go to inform Hermione’s true parents that they had a daughter.
The Letter by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I once again wish to thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), iloverupertgrint (Stacey), eleven49. I also wish to thank J.K. Rowling for creating the world in which I as a writer get to play in.

In the month since The Battle at Hogwarts, life had changed. In most ways these changes were for the better, but some days everything seemed wrong again and just getting through the day was an accomplishment. Today was one of those days.

Kingsley Shacklebolt, newly elected Minister of Magic, had just left the Burrow. He had visited the Weasley’s home to divulge the information in the wills of Fred, Remus, and Tonks. It had been a very sorrowful experience; Mrs. Weasley had been so overcome with grief when Kingsley had brought out Fred’s will that she had left the room. As soon as Kingsley was gone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had escaped outside to the garden.

“So I’ve been thinking,” Hermione said, pausing and taking a deep breath. “I want to go find my parents and restore their memories.” She spoke rather quickly, as if knowing she would soon be interrupted. “After all, Voldemort’s dead now, and “”

“Hermione, we’ve been over this. Not all the Death Eaters have been caught, so it’s still too dangerous,” Harry replied sympathetically.

“I know, but after hearing those wills . . . I mean, life is so short. I miss them, Harry,” Hermione said, her eyes brimming with barely suppressed tears.

Ron put his arm around her and murmured consolingly, “I know you do. But Harry is right; they would be in danger if we brought them back.”

Just then a large brown barn owl swooped down and held out her leg to Hermione, who bent down to remove the letter the owl was carrying.

Looking at the face of the envelope, Hermione said, “It’s addressed to me, from Hogwarts.”

“Open it, Hermione,” Ron urged.

Hermione opened the letter. “It’s from Professor McGonagall, listen:

‘Hermione,
I hope this finds all of you well. I need to speak with you before you go to Australia to bring back your parents. Please come to Hogwarts as soon as possible. You may bring Harry and Ron with you; in fact, that would be preferable.
Sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry'"


“I wonder what this is all about,” Ron said curiously.

“I don’t know,” replied Harry simply.

“I think we should go tomorrow,” Hermione said, looking up from the letter. “Today’s been too hectic already what with Kingsley bringing the wills over and all.”

***

Morning found Hermione, Ron, and Harry sitting alone at the table in the Burrow’s kitchen. They were discussing the best way to get to Hogwarts as they ate breakfast, which consisted of toast and tea.

“I think we should just Apparate into Hogsmeade and walk up from there,” said Harry. “After all, Professor McGonagall may know that we’re coming, but she didn’t say that we should Floo into the school. And I doubt Aberforth would want us appearing in his tavern. That is, if it’s even open again.”

“Okay,” replied Hermione, “we’ll leave as soon as we finish breakfast. I want to find out what Professor McGonagall wants so I can go to Australia later today. I mean, she said in her letter . . . so she’s obviously expecting me to go soon.”

Ron gave Harry a resigned look that clearly said, ‘What can we do? She’s not going to change her mind about this.’ Hurriedly, the three finished their breakfast, and Ron scribbled a brief note to his family before they left.

When the crushing darkness of Apparition ended, the trio found themselves standing in the middle of Hogsmeade. They began the walk up to Hogwarts without meeting anyone.
As they approached the gates to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, they noticed the gates were closed. But before Ron could ask how they were going to get inside, the gates swung open on their own.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had not been back to the school since the memorial service for those who had been killed in the battle. The service had been held one week after the battle, when much of the castle was still damaged from the fight. Now, three weeks later, they saw that the castle had been repaired. There was no sign that the battle that had determined the future of the Wizarding community had been fought on these grounds. All three were silent as they walked to the Headmistress’s office, remembering what had taken place.

As they reached the Headmistress’s office, they saw the statue that guarded the steps was functional again as well. At once they realized that they did not know the password.

“Dumbledore?” Harry asked, remembering that that name had gained him entry only a few weeks ago. The statue immediately moved aside and the staircase began to rotate upward. They climbed onto the steps, and at the top, they approached the door and knocked.

The door swung open, and the three entered, not knowing exactly what they would find inside. When Professor Dumbledore had been Headmaster, there were tables with lots of shiny silver magical devices on them. Now they saw that while the tables were still there with their magical instruments, they had been moved closer to the bookcases that lined every wall. Though Professor McGonagall was nowhere to be seen, hanging behind the desk, was a large portrait of Professor Dumbledore. Surprisingly, next to it hung a portrait of Professor Snape. Though shocked, Harry smiled. He was glad that Snape’s portrait hung in the office with the rest of the former Headmasters. Harry had personally gone to the Governors of the school and petitioned for Professor Snape’s portrait to be included. He told them what Snape had done not only for him, but for the Wizarding world. He was pleased his request had been approved.

Approaching the portrait, Harry looked into the face of the man who had made his six years at Hogwarts miserable. Well, Snape hadn’t made all of it miserable; just the classes Harry had had with him. Harry now knew all Snape’s secrets. How Snape had loved Harry’s mother Lily for most of his life. How he was the one who had told Voldemort of the prophecy that had begun Voldemort’s quest to kill Harry. How from the moment Voldemort threatened Lily, Snape worked to bring about the downfall of Voldemort.

“Professor Snape?” Harry spoke directly to the portrait, even though Snape appeared to be sleeping. “There are some things I’d like to say to you.” Harry paused, waiting to see if Snape would ‘wake up’. “I know you’re not sleeping, but if pretending you are gives you comfort, well then by all means continue. I’m going to have my say whether you acknowledge me or not.” He paused again, looking pointedly at the portrait, whose occupant continued to snore unconvincingly. Harry readied himself. “I want to say . . . ,” Harry stopped and took a few deep breaths before quickly saying, “I want to say thank you. I know what you did for the past sixteen years couldn’t have been easy. I also know you only did it for my mother’s sake, not for mine, and certainly not for my father’s. But regardless of why you behaved the way you did, thank you." Harry once again took a deep breath before continuing.

“I may never forgive you for betraying my parents, because even though you tried to save my mother, you were the reason my parents were killed. I may never forgive you for the way you treated me, but what you did, in the end it gave me the means to destroy Voldemort once and for all.” Harry felt somewhat embarrassed for having given such a speech, especially with his friends and all the other portraits listening, but he was glad that he was given the opportunity to talk to Snape one last time.

“I think, Severus, that Harry deserves some response from you. Wouldn’t you agree? After all, it would only be polite to at least acknowledge his thanks.” Professor Dumbledore was smiling down at Harry as he spoke. The seconds ticked by with no answer from Snape’s portrait. “Well Harry, it seems Professor Snape is going to continue to pretend to be asleep, so let us move on. It is good to see the three of you again. Professor McGonagall will be along in a moment, she had to settle a little disagreement between Peeves and Mr. Filch.”

At that moment, the door opened and Professor McGonagall entered. She did not speak as she walked behind the desk and sat down.

“Well, sit down,” McGonagall said, gesturing to the three chairs in front of her desk, but Harry, Ron, and Hermione were too astounded to comply, wondering what could possibly be going on. “This will probably take a while for us to explain. Yes, us,” she added in response to the questioning looks on Hermione, Ron, and Harry’s faces. “Professor Dumbledore and I thought it best if we told you here. However, this will be mainly Professor Dumbledore’s explanation, as he is the one who was directly involved. I only found out everything yesterday.”

“As did I,” said Professor Snape sourly, who had decided he would rather watch the proceedings than continue to pretend to be asleep.

“Now, now, Severus,” said Professor Dumbledore, “I explained to you why this information was kept secret. No one except for me knew. Or, should I say, remembered. Now, I see many questions burning in your eyes. I will do my best to answer every one, but I will ask that you hold your questions until I am finished. I also ask that you not judge me too harshly.” At this he looked directly at Hermione. “And I pray you can forgive me for what I did once you know the whole story.”

Hastily, Hermione, Harry and Ron seated themselves in front of Professor McGonagall’s desk. Looking up at the painting of Professor Dumbledore, they waited expectantly for him to begin his story.
End Notes:
I know I have left you with another cliffhanger, but I promise, the wait will be worth it.
A Long Held Secret by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I would like to once again thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), eleven49. I do not own any of the characters, places or things in this story. It belongs to J. K. Rowling. I only get to play in her world. For that, I am forever thankful.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione shared a curious look, and then they looked up at Professor Dumbledore’s portrait expectantly.

Professor Dumbledore stared down at the three of them. After a split-second of hesitation, he started to tell his story.

“On the night your parents were killed, Harry,” Dumbledore began gravely, “Voldemort intended to wipe out your entire family, eliminating all possible threats. He, however, did not have a crucial bit of information. No, not the fact that your mother’s sacrifice would save your life not only once, but several times, he did not know that even if he had succeeded in killing you, he would not have completely eliminated the threat,” Dumbledore paused, searching for the right words to explain.

“I have struggled with how to tell you this for years,” he continued, “and I cannot say I have figured out an easy way.” Dumbledore smiled knowingly, and somewhat nervously, down at the three. “I see you all have questions already, and if I am correct, Miss Granger has already figured out at least one part of this secret.”

Hermione looked shocked at this statement. She did indeed have a guess about what Dumbledore would say next. What she couldn’t figure out was how it was possible. She chose to remain silent.

“You three must understand that my actions were fuelled by my knowledge of the prophecy. Fortunately, before I died, I took measures to ensure I would be able to communicate with those who have died and do not have portraits at Hogwarts. Because of this, yesterday I was able to go and explain to your parents what I had done. Your mother is still upset with me, but she understands. Your father, however, is quite angry with me. I think that in time, he will also understand, and I hope they will both forgive me. I also hope that the three of you will forgive this old man for the poor choices he made many years ago.” Dumbledore cleared his throat.

“Now, enough excuses. If you will please hold your questions, which I can see you are desperate to ask, I will explain what was done and why.” The former Headmaster paused. Knowing that there was no easy way to break the news, he said simply, “Harry, you have a sister.”

The three of them gasped as one, though Hermione looked less shocked than the other two. Immediately, Harry’s mind burst with hundreds of questions, and he felt a stab of anger, frustration. How could he have not been told? Harry restrained himself, sitting quietly in his seat even as his questions and feelings clamoured inside his head, begging to be acknowledged.

“On the night you were born, your mother also gave birth to a daughter. The girl was born minutes before you. Your parents never knew. There were only three people who were in on the secret at the time: Madam Pomfrey, who took care of your mother during her pregnancy, an assistant healer named Miss Blanco, and me. Just before you were born, I took Miss Blanco, who was working here at Hogwarts at the time, into confidence and I informed her that her services would be required when your mother went into labour. Your parents were never told they were having twins. At the moment of your sister’s birth, I Confunded your parents and quickly gave your sister to Miss Blanco, who Apparated with the baby to a safe location. I lifted the Confundus Charm and you were born.” Dumbledore examined the faces of the young adults sitting before him, noting their expressions of shock and confusion. He paused, hoping to help them process everything they were hearing.

“After your birth, I performed Memory Charms on both Madam Pomfrey and Miss Blanco so that they didn’t remember that another child had been born that night. I brought the child to the Muggle household I had previously picked out for her. I then performed Memory Charms on the couple who lived there, as well as their close family and friends. They were convinced, as were their families and friends, that they were the biological parents of this little girl. I even went so far as to change the of the girl’s official birth records so that she appeared to have been born on a different day and, of course, to different parents.”

Harry sat there staring at the portrait of Professor Dumbledore in shock. Dumbledore’s explanation had only increased his questions. He had a sister. Where was she? Did she know she was a witch? So many questions were running through his mind that Harry, completely overwhelmed, couldn’t have voiced any of them.

“No, surely not,” said Hermione indignantly, looking close to tears. “Professor, please tell me what I’m thinking isn’t true! It just can’t be!”

Professor Dumbledore looked down at Hermione sympathetically and replied quietly, “I wish I could. But judging by your reaction, you have correctly figured out the ending of this sad story.”

Ron and Harry’s faces both clearly showed their confusion. Hermione, however, burst into tears.

“There, there, dear,” said Professor McGonagall. “It will all be all right.” Handing Hermione a tissue, Professor McGonagall settled back into her chair to listen to the rest of Professor Dumbledore’s story. She knew there would be more than tears from the three young adults sitting before her. She knew there would be anger as well. She only hoped they would listen and try to understand why Dumbledore did what he did.

“Er - Professor, could you please explain why Hermione is crying?” asked Ron. As he asked this, he put his arms around Hermione and held her close to him, her great, heaving sobs easing marginally at his touch.

“Well, Ron, Hermione has figured out that she is Harry’s sister. That is why we asked you to come here before Hermione went to reverse the Memory Charm on her parents. Though unlikely, it is possible that reversing one charm could undo the one I placed seventeen years ago. Finding out from me is bad enough, but it would be far worse to find out a partial, confused truth from those she thinks are her birth parents.” Dumbledore readied himself, and Harry was sure he was about to confess something else.

“I originally planned not to tell any of you three the truth. I merely wanted to be on hand when Hermione undid her Memory Charm just in case she accidentally reversed mine as well. However, telling you the truth is the right thing to do. It is something that should have been done years ago. I, being the foolish old man that I was, thought the three of you had enough to deal with without adding to it.” Dumbledore had a pained look in his eyes, and he winced slightly at each of Hermione’s sobs.

“What you must now decide is how to deal with this. We can reverse both charms on the Grangers, or just the one Hermione cast to protect them; they would never know that Hermione was not their biological daughter. I understand your sorrow, your shock, your feelings of betrayal and anger. I have made enough decisions, enough mistakes, that have affected your lives drastically, and I sometimes wonder if you all would have faired better if I had let you fend for yourselves, providing only the slightest help when necessary…. Therefore, I am going to leave the choice up to you three. The decision is rightfully yours to make.”

With this, Professor Dumbledore sat back in his chair with well-hidden apprehension, and he quietly waited for the explosion of questions he could tell were coming.

Ron looked at both Hermione and Harry. Hermione was still sobbing quietly and Harry looked to be in utter shock. Since neither of them appeared to be able to put voice to the questions he knew had to be going through their minds, Ron spoke up.

“Let me get this straight,” Ron began, “Harry’s mum gave birth to twins, and Hermione is Harry’s sister?” At Professor Dumbledore’s nod, he continued. “You hid this from us, from them all these years, never once thinking it would help both of them to know? You never thought that Harry, who has felt so alone all his life, would like to know he had a sister? That Hermione, who has been ridiculed all her life, would have liked to know she wasn’t a Muggle-Born? That her parents were both a witch and a wizard? That she, who had been raised an only child, had a brother?”

Ron’s voice was rising in his anger.

“That doesn’t even cover the minutes of torture I went through when we opened V-Voldemort’s locket.” Ron was still becoming accustomed to using Voldemort’s name. “I thought “ I thought that Harry and Hermione could have had something going while I wasn’t around.” Looking at both of them, he said to them, “But it was only for a moment, when the locket was saying those things. I never really thought that. Honest, I didn’t.”

“I know that Ron,” said Harry quietly. Those were the first words he had been able to speak since Dumbledore had finished his story.

When Harry once again lapsed into silence, Ron continued, standing up as he yelled, “I just can’t believe you kept this from them! You were supposed to be their teacher, their mentor! And from what you just said, you hadn’t planned on telling them!” By this point, Ron’s face was turning bright red with anger.

Ron’s rage over what had been done to them broke through Harry’s shock and Hermione’s sorrow. Both sat simply staring at him, having not expected his display of anger. When Ron seemed to have run out of words, Hermione spoke in a soft, fragile voice.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell us sooner? Didn’t you ever trust us enough to tell us the truth? I don’t understand how you could have kept this from us.” Tears were once again flowing freely down Hermione’s face. She looked up at Professor Dumbledore, who looked like a guilty child caught in wrongdoing. Greatly saddened by the knowledge of his horrible choice, tears glistened behind Dumbledore’s spectacles.

“Part of the reason I did not tell you sooner was the same reason I did not tell Harry sooner about the Prophecy. I cared too much. As I have said, I did not want to burden you with the knowledge. You should have been told the truth, but I justified not telling you by convincing myself it had to be kept a secret for the sake of your safety. Do I believe you could have kept it a secret? Yes, I do. However, knowing the truth and having to hide it from everyone would have been torturous for all of you. Though you are now faced with deciding whether to tell the truth or keep it to yourselves, at least you are not in danger from Voldemort if you decide to tell everyone the truth. It is the danger you would have been in that I used to justify not telling you.” Dumbledore paused to gather his thoughts. Then looking down at Hermione, he continued.

“Hermione, you asked how I could keep this from you. Why I did not trust you enough to tell you the truth. Keeping it from you was not easy. I made my choice when Madam Pomfrey told me Lily was expecting twins. I knew that neither of you would be safe. Sometimes, I fear I chose the wrong child to hide. Why did I leave Harry, knowing the Prophecy? I believed through magic, they could be kept safe. Should I have left you there to die? Would Lily have been able to protect both of her children? All of these questions and thoughts I have considered. However, whatever the answers, I cannot change what I did, though I should have told you sooner.

“As for not trusting you with the truth, this is partially correct, though not in the way you think. I worried for years that Voldemort had access to Harry’s mind, a fact that was proven. I am sure Harry will be the first to agree with me when I say that he couldn’t keep Voldemort out of his mind. Therefore, Voldemort would have known about you, which would have only put you in more danger.” Sitting back in his chair, Dumbledore waited for the questions on how he had managed it. He knew that once some of the shock wore off, the questions about how it could have been accomplished would start.
Further Explanations by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I would like to once again thank my wonderful betas, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), eleven49. I do not own any of the characters, places or things in this story. It belongs to J. K. Rowling. I only get to play in her world. For that, I am forever thankful.
As Professor Dumbledore sat back in his chair, Ron also sat down. He was still very angry, but his desire to have his questions answered overpowered the urge to rage and scream.

“I just don’t understand how you did it. How you could have made Hermione’s parents believe she was theirs? After all, Hermione’s birthday is before mine, and Harry’s isn’t until July. How could they be tricked into think that Hermione was months older than she was? I don’t know a lot about babies, but I do know that a newborn baby is a lot smaller than one who is about ten months old. It’s just not possible. No one could be fooled like that. No one.” Ron looked to Professor Dumbledore for some explanations.

“I will admit,” began Professor Dumbledore, “that changing Miss Granger’s date of birth so drastically caused a few problems, but none that could not be solved with a few well-placed Memory Charms. I had Hermione’s parents move to an isolated location before charming them to believe that the date was ten months before that which it was in actuality. I arranged,” he said with a slight cough, “for them to come into a fair amount of money so that they would not feel pressed to work or to in any way interact with anyone. When it was absolutely necessary for Mr. and Mrs. Granger to come in contact with someone, I used various spells to disguise myself as that person “ be it a grocer, maintenance worker, etcetera. Thankfully, being young, in love, and preoccupied with a newborn baby, they kept to themselves for the most part.

“They lived there until Hermione was about eighteen months old. At that time, I once again modified their memories to accustom them to the true date and Hermione’s ‘age’, and returned them to their lives. By this time, the ten-month difference in Hermione’s age and her adjusted birthday didn’t seem that big of an issue. Everyone who came in contact with the family just thought Hermione was a little small for her age.

“As you mentioned, I didn’t plan on telling you any of this. I didn’t believe anything useful could come from informing you three of my meddling in your lives, and in fact, I still believe that this revelation may do lasting damage. I am sorry that it has come to this, but I do not regret my decision for one second because it has kept you safe. My only regret is not telling you sooner, that for so long I was convinced that you three were better off not knowing the truth.” Dumbledore looked down at the three young adults sitting in front of him.

It seemed to Harry that Dumbledore was merely gathering his thoughts in preparation for further explanation. So when Professor Dumbledore addressed Professor McGonagall instead of him, Ron, and Hermione, Harry was surprised.

“Minerva, I have a feeling that Harry, Ron, and Hermione would like some time to digest and discuss this information. Perhaps you can have the house elves send their lunches up to in the Gryffindor common room, for I assume that there they would feel far more comfortable talking all this over.”

“Yes, Albus, right away.” Professor McGonagall turned to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. “As the school term has not yet started, there is not a password set to get into the common room. I shall escort you down there and inform the Fat Lady to she should admit you. You may return here when you feel up to it. Feel free to spend the night in your old dormitories if you so choose.” With this, Professor McGonagall stood and walked around her desk towards the door.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood as one and followed her out the door without so much as a glance back at the portrait of Professor Dumbledore.

As they walked through the deserted corridors of Hogwarts, they could not help but feel out of time. Just a few months earlier, these corridors had been the scene of a massive battle. Now they looked as pristine as they did during the six years the three had spent going to school here. The main difference between the school term and now was the silence. It was perfectly quiet. Not a sound could be heard except their footsteps. No one spoke, for each was lost in his or her own thoughts. So they were shocked to suddenly find themselves standing in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Headmistress, how may I help you?” asked the Fat Lady.

“Please allow these three into the common room. I know it is unusual but they are going to be here at least for today “ possibly through tomorrow. They are to have access to the Tower.”

“Yes, of course, Headmistress. Should I set a password, or should I just let them in when they want?”

“No password is necessary unless they decide they want one.” Professor McGonagall then looked at them. “Please feel free to set a password if you wish, but I doubt one is necessary as no besides myself, Filch, the ghosts, and Peeves, is in the castle. I will have lunch sent up for you, and I will be in my office when you decide to return.” With this, she turned and walked away.

The portrait of the Fat Lady swung open at once to admit them. They climbed through the portrait hole and walked into the familiar common room. Sitting down in front of the fireplace in their favourite chairs, they looked at each other, each at a loss for words.

Taking a deep breath, Harry said, “Hermione, I “”

But before he could go on, a table completely laden with food, pumpkin juice, plates, and utensils appeared before them.

“I don’t know about you two, but I’m starving,” Ron said as he stood up and loaded his plate with a bit of everything on the table.

Watching Ron as he helped himself to the food, Harry and Hermione started to laugh. Ron’s obsession with food was common knowledge among the three after having spent most of the past year on the run together. Still chuckling to himself, Harry stood and followed Ron’s example, and though food was the last thing on Hermione’s mind, she also stood and took some food. After all, there was plenty of time for them to talk about what they had just learned.

As the trio was finishing their lunch, a loud crack emanated from directly in front of them. There standing next to the now almost-empty table was Kreacher the house-elf. Harry had inherited him when his godfather Sirus was killed at the end of Harry’s fifth year at Hogwarts.

“Master Harry,” cried Kreacher excitedly, bowing deeply. “Kreacher heard you were here. Kreacher has come to see if there is anything you need. Kreacher was also wondering if you were planning on returning to Grimmauld Place soon. If Master pleases, Kreacher is anxious to be home.”

“Not just yet. There are a few things Ron, Hermione, and I need to take care of first,” Harry told Kreacher. Then glancing at the other two, he continued, “I’ll let you know when I am going back there. Until then, it’s best if you stay here.”

“Of course, Master. Kreacher will do as Master says,” Kreacher replied obediently, though he looked slightly less excited. He bowed again before snapping his fingers and disappearing with a loud crack.

Hermione stood up and wandered over to the windows overlooking the grounds of Hogwarts. After a moment or two, she spoke in a low voice. “Let’s go see Hagrid. He’s sitting outside with Grawp.”

“Okay,” both Ron and Harry replied at the same time. All three were still clueless as to how to breach the topic of what Dumbledore had just revealed, so a distraction was welcome.

As they walked through the castle, they saw no one. They went out the massive front doors and started down the path to Hagrid’s house. As they approached, Grawp looked up and spotted them.

“Hermy!” Grawp shouted.

“What are yeh talkin’ abou’, Grawpy?” Hagrid asked his brother. When Grawp raised one massive hand and gestured towards the castle, Hagrid turned his head.

“Hi Hagrid. Hi Grawp,” Harry called as they approached the pair.

“Harry, Ron, Hermione, wha’re yeh doing here?” Hagrid asked.

“We had to come to see Professor McGonagall,” Harry replied simply. He didn’t know how much Hermione wanted to tell Hagrid. Even though it involved him, he felt it best if Hermione led the way this time.

“C’mon an’ sit with us. We’re just sittin’ here enjoying the sunshine, weren’ we Grawp?” Hagrid looked over at Grawp, who was staring at Hermione.

“Hermy sad,” said Grawp simply. Hagrid noticed her sorrow then, too.

“Hermione, wha’ is it? Has somethin’ else happened? Has something happened to yer parents?” Hagrid asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

With this statement, Hermione eyes filled with tears. Grawp reached out his hand to her, but looking at Hagrid, he stopped short of touching her and drew back his hand.

“No, nothing has happened to them,” began Hermione, her voice choked from resisting the urge to cry. “At least not in the way you mean. Professor Dumbledore just told me, told us, that the Grangers aren’t my real parents.” As she blurted this out, a few tears escaped to run down Hermione’s cheeks. Ron moved closer to her and drew her into his arms. Turning her face into his chest, she released her already tenuous hold on her emotions and cried harder.

“Wha’re yeh talking about? Not yer parents? Now how could he say tha’?” Hagrid sounded outraged.

Harry glanced at Hermione. Knowing she could not explain, he told Hagrid what they had just learned. When he finished, Hagrid looked stunned.

“I don’ know wha’ to say. . . . I never knew. Well, from what yeh said, no one knew. But now I understand wha’ Dumbledore was talkin’ abou’ the night yer parents were killed, Harry. When he asked me ter go and get yeh, he said tha’ perhaps wha’ he did was a good thing. I found it ruddy strange at the time. . . . I didn’ understand. . . . He was referrin’ ter wha’ he did ter keep yeh safe, Hermione.

“Hermione,” Hagrid began again, “the Grangers are yer parents. They raised yeh, and it was ‘em tha’ loved yeh all these years. Yeh’re their daughter in ev’ry way. It doesn’ matter that yer mom didn’ give birth ter you. She loved yeh just the same. And I’m sure when yeh tell them, it won’ change anythin’. ‘Cept they’ll be grateful tha’ they were lucky enough ter be chosen ter raise yeh as their own.”

Hermione lifted her head and gave Hagrid a watery smile. “I just don’t know. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should tell them, or let them continue to think that I’m their real “ well, biological daughter. Or maybe I should just leave my Memory Charm on them so they don’t think they have a daughter at all.

“But they do have a daughter, Hermione. You’re their daughter, and you need them and they need you,” Ron told her gently. “It wouldn’t be fair to any of you to not accept them as your parents one way or another.”

Standing suddenly, Hermione looked down at Harry and Ron. “Let’s go back up to the castle. I know what I want to do. At least, what I want to do right now.”

They said goodbye to Hagrid and Grawp then started towards the castle.
End Notes:
I am sorry for the long wait for this chapter. It took a while to get Hagrid's speech just right. I promise the next chapter won't take as long.
Hermione's Decision by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Once again, I wish to thank my betas for this chapter, Harry_Rulz (Lexi), eleven49.
I do not own, nor claim to own any of the characters in this story. They all belong to J. K. Rowling. I wish to thank for for letting me to play in her world.
Ron and Harry both tried to ask Hermione what she meant, but their questions were met only with a shake of her head. Hermione didn’t stop or even pause on her way to the Headmistress’s office. When they reached the door, she knocked and, without waiting for permission to enter, walked boldly in.

“I’ve decided to leave my “ to leave the Grangers where they are for now. I don’t know if it’s right to tell them or not, so until I know, until I accept what I’ve learned and figure out what the right thing to do is, they’re better off where they are.” As Hermione spoke, she walked to the desk where Professor McGonagall was sitting. “I’d also like you to not tell anyone of this. I don’t want anyone else to know. Not yet,” she added, glancing apologetically at Harry, “and maybe not ever.”

Professor McGonagall looked sympathetically at Hermione. “Of course. It’s completely your choice. No one but those in this room will know the truth until you decide to tell them.”

“Hagrid knows “ we’ve just told him “ but he won’t say anything to anyone, right?” Ron asked, sure already of Hagrid’s loyalty but not willing to take any chances.

“I will instruct Hagrid to say nothing of this to anyone,” Professor McGonagall told Ron.

“I have one more thing I would like to talk to you about before we leave,” Hermione continued. “I want to return to Hogwarts this year. I want to finish my schooling. Is that possible?” Hermione asked.

“Of course. You are all welcome to return to school. I will arrange for it this afternoon. Harry, Ron, what about you two? Do you intend to return this year?” questioned Professor McGonagall.

Ron looked at Harry. Harry knew he would not be returning to school. But he didn’t want his decision to influence Ron’s.

“I know my mum would want me to,” said Ron, “but I’m not sure I want to, I mean, with all that has happened. . . . Kingsley asked Harry and me to work with him to reconstruct the Auror Department. I think I’d like to do that. I was also thinking I should help George out in the shop. He shouldn’t have to go through that alone.” Ron’s voice cracked on the last sentence.

“I’m not coming back,” Harry responded. “I’ve already told Kingsley I would help him out with the Auror Department.”

“Well then, Miss Granger, you will receive your letter with all the information you need for the next year in a few weeks time. Until then, I suggest you, as well as Mr. Weasley and Mr. Potter, take a well-earned rest. My offer still stands for you to stay here for the night.”

“No, we’ll be leaving now. I need to go somewhere to think, somewhere even quieter than Hogwarts. Thank you for letting me come back to school. Goodbye, Professor.” Hermione turned and started towards the door.

“Goodbye, Professor,” murmured Harry and Ron together before following Hermione.

As they cut across the grounds to the front gates, Hermione turned to Harry. “Harry, can we go to Grimmauld Place? Nothing against your family Ron, but I just can not handle being around a lot of people right now.” Ron shrugged dismissively, signalling that he understood.

“Sure, we can Hermione. I asked Kingsley if he thought it was safe to go there. He said that even though Yaxley knew where Grimmauld Place was, he couldn’t tell anyone because he wasn’t a Secret Keeper. Now that Yaxley is dead, Grimmauld Place is safe.” Harry told her. “Besides, even if people could get in, I’ll bet we could handle them.”

Once they were outside the boundaries of Hogwarts, they joined hands and turned on the spot, disappearing in an instant.

The three Apparated directly onto the top step of number twelve Grimmauld Place. Surprisingly, they actually landed squarely on the top step, something they had sometimes had trouble with when they were staying there before while staking out the Ministry of Magic. Harry tapped the door with his wand and they entered the dark and dusty foyer.

They all waited for the tongue-tying curse to hit them. But it didn’t come. They waited for the ghostly figure of Albus Dumbledore to appear. But all was still save for the dust their shoes raised as they crossed the floor cautiously. Looking at the other two, Ron shrugged his shoulders and started towards the stairs leading to the kitchen at a more normal pace. They all knew better than to talk in the foyer, which would surely cause the portrait of Mrs. Black to start screaming at them.

Once in the kitchen, Ron voiced the question they all were thinking. “Why didn’t Mad-Eye’s curses activate when we came in?”

“I don’t know,” Harry answered. “Perhaps with Snape’s death they disappeared?” He looked to Hermione for her opinion. But she was just wandering around the dirty kitchen, apparently lost in thought.

“Harry, this place is filthy. Since we’re going to be living here again “ at least for a little while “ I think we should clean it up.” With this, she pulled out her wand and began trying to scour the dust and grime from the kitchen table.

“And we need to think about getting some food. I’m starving.” Ron complained.

“So what else is new?” asked Hermione, her amusement clear.

“I think I’d better call Kreacher. He cooks better than any of us,” Harry told them, rolling his eyes good-naturedly at his friends’ seemingly normal antics.

But before Harry could call for the house-elf, there was a loud crack.

“Speak of the Devil,” Harry mumbled, shaking his head in amusement.

“Master Harry, you are here. Kreacher came as soon as you called.” The house-elf bowed low. Looking around the kitchen, Kreacher bowed his head, and his ears drooped. “Kreacher is a bad elf. Kreacher has let Master’s home become a mess. Kreacher will quickly set it right, Master Harry. Kreacher will take care of everything! Kreacher will have dinner ready in an hour, if that is alright with Master, but if Master wants it sooner, then Kreacher will have it sooner.” The house-elf looked up at Harry expectantly.

“No, Kreacher, an hour is fine.” Harry chuckled as Ron moaned quietly. “We’ll just go up to the drawing room until then.” Harry smiled down at the house-elf.

Upon entering the drawing room, they all sat on the couch. This room also showed signs of not being used in a while. There was a slight buzzing sound coming from the curtains. Harry realised that the doxies they had gotten rid of a couple years ago must have returned. He smiled thinking of that day. He remembered Fred pocketing a doxy behind Mrs. Weasley’s back. . . .

But all the memories were bittersweet. Sirius, Fred, Remus, Tonks, and Mad-Eye were gone now. Remembering them here, alive, caused sharp, stabbing pains that felt like the twisting of a knife in his stomach. He enjoyed the happy memories, but it still hurt to remember. Shaking his head to clear it, he knew he had to say something to Hermione. He decided to honour Fred with a bit of humour.

“Er, Hermione,” Harry began tentatively, “I don’t want to add more strain to what you’re feeling right now, but . . .” his voice trailed off. Wondering if this was really the right time for a joke, he thought again of Fred.

It’s always time for a joke,” Fred would have said, wearing that mischievous grin of his.

“There is one thing I’m sure you haven’t thought of yet,” Harry began again, a smile spreading across his face as he spoke. “You can now call the Dursleys your relatives.”

Ron, who was unable to contain his laughter, added, “Hermione, now I really feel sorry for you. Think about it: Dudley is your cousin, too.” With this, Ron succumbed to a fit of laughter, and within seconds, Harry was laughing just as hard as Ron was.

Hermione looked shocked. Whether it was because of everything she had learned that day or the fact that Harry and Ron could laugh about it, even she didn’t know.

Harry, seeing the look on Hermione’s face, stopped laughing. Maybe this wasn’t the time for a joke, Fred, he thought. Though unsure of what to say, he knew he had to at least try.

“Hermione, listen, this doesn’t change who you are. You’re still the same person. Your parents “ your parents, the Grangers, are still your parents.” Hermione looked up. “They raised you, loved you all these years. The fact that you weren’t born to them, doesn’t matter, just as Hagrid said. It doesn’t change the love you all share; nothing can do that. All that’s changed is that now you know that you have two sets of parents. Personally, I think you got the better deal out of this. You got the Grangers, and I got the Dursleys.” Glancing at Hermione, Harry realised that she did seem to be considering what he had said.

“Harry is right,” Ron began. “Nothing has really changed. Well, except for the fact we know now why you were always such an ‘insufferable know-it-all’,” Ron teased, putting his arm around Hermione and hugging her close to him. Ron didn’t notice how Hermione stiffened slightly at his touch.

“Hermione?” Harry didn’t like the silence that stretched on as Hermione still didn’t speak. “I’ve always thought of you as my sister; this just makes it official.” Turning towards Hermione, he moved Ron’s arm and pulled her into a hug.

Sniffling, Hermione pulled back and looked at Harry. She then glanced back at Ron. Standing, she walked around the room, trying to gather her thoughts before she spoke.

“I know deep down this doesn’t negate the love I grew up with. The Grangers were “ are wonderful parents, and I was very lucky to be raised by them. I have no doubt that they would still love me in spite of the truth, so in the end, I will tell them; it wouldn’t be right not to. What I don’t know is . . .” Hermione took a deep breath. “What I don’t know is, who am I? I am not Hermione Granger, Mudblood. I am not the only child of two Muggles anymore. You couldn’t possibly understand what I’m feeling.” Hermione’s voice was shaking, both with sadness and with anger.

Harry and Ron looked at her in shock, not expecting the anger that they could hear in her words. Hermione was so even-tempered that it took a lot to get her angry.

“Hermione,” Ron began hesitantly, “you’re the same person now who you were this morning at the Burrow. Nothing has changed.”

“I knew you would say something like that, Ron. You who grew up in a large pureblood family, never doubting who you were. You who didn’t have to suffer countless taunts because of your parentage. Your name wasn’t on the Muggleborn registry, was it? No, mine was. I was the one treated like a second-class citizen, and now I find out that it was all for nothing. I’m not a Mudblood, am I?” she spat. Knowing Harry was about to add to Ron’s statement, she continued.

“Don’t even start, Harry. Since you started at Hogwarts, you knew you also came from a Wizarding family. The famous Harry Potter “ no one ever doubted your place there! You belonged in the Wizarding world as much as Ron! You were never made to feel otherwise. That you were abnormal and unworthy to be at Hogwarts.” Tears were streaming silently down Hermione’s face. Dabbing at them brusquely and impatiently, she turned and stormed out of the room, swinging the door shut behind her.

Harry and Ron both heard Mrs. Black’s cries. They heard Hermione go across the hall into the bedroom she had once shared with Ginny. And they heard the faint sound of the lock of the bedroom door clicking shut.

Quickly, Harry went to silence Mrs. Black’s portrait, and when he returned to the drawing room, Ron was still standing in place in shock. Ron stood up and started to walk to the door. Knowing he was going to go to Hermione, Harry reached out and stopped him.

“I think we should give her some time alone,” Harry told him.

“Yeah, okay, I guess,” Ron murmured quietly, not really in agreement.

“Let’s go see if dinner is ready,” Harry suggested.

“What about Hermione? She needs to eat too,” Ron protested.

“I really think it’s better if we leave her be, Ron. She’ll come down on her own if she’s hungry.” Harry opened the door and motioned for Ron to go ahead of him. He knew if he went first, then Ron would go to Hermione. As it was, Harry again had to grab Ron’s arm to stop him when Ron tried to enter the bedroom. Harry kept a firm grip on Ron’s arm as he led him down the stairs.
The First Step to Acceptance by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Again, I want to thank my wonderful beta, Harry_Rulz (Lexi). Without her patience through my writer's block and the resulting writing spree that followed, this chapter would not be what it is.

I also with to thank J. K. Rowling for her world that everyone and everything in this story belongs to. Thank you for creating a place in which I can play.
Other than to say thank you to Kreacher, neither Harry nor Ron spoke as they ate dinner. Both were listening for the sound of Hermione coming down the steps. As dessert was served, Ron broke the silence.

“Harry, I need to let Mum know where we are. Since Fred…” Ron’s voice trailed off. Harry could see him struggling with his grief. “Well, since that day, you know how she has been. She has to know where we are at all times. She’ll be worried when we don’t come home tonight.”

“Yeah, good idea. But how are we going to let her know? I guess you could pop over there and tell her where we are so she doesn’t worry. Just don’t tell her why we are staying here. Hermione was very clear she doesn’t want anyone to know yet. I think that even includes your family.”

“I guess I could. I should only be gone a few minutes. Just long enough to reassure her we are fine and let her know where we are.” With this, Ron got up and left the kitchen to Apparate to the Burrow.

Ron was only gone a few moments when Hermione came into the kitchen. Looking around she asked, “Where’s Ron?”

“He went to tell his mum where we are so she doesn’t worry.”

“Oh, okay. Harry, I’m sorry I yelled at you,” as she spoke, she sat down at the table across from Harry. Kreacher immediately brought her over a plate of food. Smiling at him, Hermione tried to eat.

“Don’t worry about yelling at me. I understand why you did. I guess I was being a bit insensitive making jokes.” Harry smiled sheepishly at Hermione.

“It wasn’t that. Not really. It is just everything. For the first time in my life, I am faced with something I just don’t know how to handle. I just don’t know what to do, how I should feel. Should I be happy I’m not a Mudblood? Part of me can understand Professor Dumbledore’s reasons for doing what he did, but I cannot forgive him for what he did. He stole my heritage from me. First when he took me from my birthparents, then just now, by telling us the truth, he took away what I had always believed my life to be. I know I am probably not making sense. It is hard to explain what I am feeling.” Hermione, who once again had the sheen of tears in her eyes, stopped talking.

“I understand part of what you are feeling. Remember, part of my life was taken from me too. You are my sister. I always thought I was alone, the last Potter. Now, I know I’m not. I have a sister, I have… you.” Standing, Harry walked around the table and tugging Hermione up, he hugged her.

As Harry stood with his arms around Hermione, Ron burst into the room.

“Sometimes that woman is impossible,” Ron said his voice aggrieved. “She always has to know everything. You would think we were all twelve years old the way she acts.” As Ron stalked to the table, he noticed Harry and Hermione hugging. For a moment, he felt anger as he did when the locket was tormenting him. The feeling passed quickly as he remembered what they had learned this morning.

Harry and Hermione quickly broke off the hug and turned to face Ron.

“What do you mean, Ron?” questioned Hermione in a shaky voice.

“She wanted to know why we went to Hogwarts, why you hadn’t gone for your parents yet; why we were staying here instead of coming home…” Ron stopped speaking at the look of fear on Hermione’s face.

Quickly, he rushed to explain. “Don’t worry; I think I covered everything without telling her anything. I told her we went to Hogwarts because you wanted to talk to Professor McGonagall about going back to school. This, I might add, led to her yelling at me for not also going back to school. Harry, I should warn you, she is not happy with you either for not going back.

“As far as your parents, I told her we finally convinced you to wait until we knew it was completely safe to bring them home. I blamed us staying here on you, Harry. I told her you needed some time after everything that’s happened.

“I told her we were going to stay here with you because we didn’t think you should be alone. I don’t think she is happy with us right now, but what can she do? We are all over age.” Ron stopped talking and looked at both of them, trying to judge their reactions.

“Oh, and Harry, I am suppose to tell you that the best place for you right now is with your family at the Burrow. She doesn’t think you should be here brooding alone.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. He knew Mrs. Weasley thought of him as sort of an adopted son, but to hear her say ‘with his family’ in reference to the Weasley’s choked him up.

“Thank you, Ron, for not telling them what we found out today. I’m just not ready yet, to have everyone know. I’m not sure I will ever be ready.” Hermione sat back down at the table and looked from Ron to Harry.

Harry, following Hermione’s lead, also sat back down. Part of him wished Hermione would agree to go back to the Burrow and talk to Mrs. Weasley. He knew Mrs. Weasley would know just what to say. Harry felt as he did for most of his life, lost and confused and not really knowing exactly what to do or say.

As Ron sat down next to Hermione, he said to her, “Hermione, I know it is your decision but, I honestly think you should at least talk to my mum. She loves you and she is probably the smartest woman I know.” Ron’s face turned red as he finished talking.

Harry was surprised to hear Ron speak that way about his mother. He knew Ron loved his mother but to hear him praise her in that way made Harry realize how much Ron had grown up over the past year.

After a few minutes of silence, Hermione looked first at Ron, then at Harry. Taking a deep breath, she said simply, “Harry, I want to go to Godric’s Hollow tomorrow.” At Harry’s shocked expression, she rushed to explain, “It won’t be like last time. I need to go there now, knowing what I know. I also know you may not want to go back there after everything that happened there, but I want, no, I need to go there… Please Harry?”

Harry could see a slight shimmer of tears in Hermione’s eyes. There was no way he could deny her because he knew how he had felt the urge and desire to visit Godric’s Hollow last year. Though he wasn’t completely sure it was safe- there were still Death Eaters roaming around free-he agreed.

Once he agreed to go, they decided that after the long day they had, they better get some sleep. Hermione said goodnight and quickly left the kitchen first. Harry and Ron soon followed.

As Harry climbed into bed in Sirius’ room, he thought about going back to Godric’s Hollow again. He knew there should be some fear or at least unease there, but all he felt was the same desire for knowledge he felt last Christmas.

***


As Harry, Ron and Hermione finished their breakfast the next morning, they discussed the best way to enter Godric’s Hollow.

“I agree we should Apparate under the Invisibility Cloak,” said Harry. “But, I don’t think there is a need for us to go in pairs as we did when we went to the Ministry. We can just Apparate outside the village, Hermione.”

“Harry, last time it was Christmas Eve and it was snowing, so there wasn’t many Muggles out and about. It’s summer now and daytime. I am sure there will be more people out this time,” Hermione said, exasperation evident in her voice. She had been trying for the past half hour to convince Harry they still needed to be cautious when they Apparated into the village. “We can’t risk being seen and exposing our world.”

“Hermione, I think it will be fine. If you are so worried, then we will Apparate right onto the grounds of the cottage. That is protected from Muggle eyes. If we do that, we won’t even need to use the Invisibility Cloak,” Harry paused as he thought over this idea.

Before he could continue, Ron spoke up, “Harry, how do you know we can get onto the grounds? What if it is protected somehow from anyone entering?”

Harry smiled. He knew it was time to tell them of his conversation with Kingsley about this very subject.

“I already asked Kingsley about my parents’ house and the protections surrounding it. He told me Dumbledore explained to him all the enchantments on the house. We know the house is protected from Muggles seeing it. It is also protected from anyone but a select few people from entering it,” Harry stopped talking to look at both of them to make sure they understood what he was saying.

“A select few? Did he know who could enter it?” Ron questioned.

“Yes, Dumbledore told him. Only myself, Hagrid, and Dumbledore could enter. They could bring people in with them, but anyone else would not be able to get past the enchanted gate nor could they Apparate onto the grounds.

“This was done so Voldemort or his Death Eaters could not gain access to the house. We will not be seen and we will be safe once we are there.”

“Harry,” Hermione’s voice was laced with concern, “are you sure the enchantments didn’t disappear when Dumbledore died? Remember when you were on the Tower, the spell he cast on you broke when he died.”

“I asked Kingsley about that. He told me he had the same thought. So, he went to Godric’s Hollow right after Dumbledore died and tried to get in. He couldn’t get past the gate. He said he tried to Apparate in and told me he wouldn’t recommend trying that to anyone with the exception of me.

“So, are we going to Apparate under the Invisibility Cloak to the outside of the village, or just Apparate directly to the cottage?” Harry asked them.

“I guess we can go directly to the cottage,” Hermione said hesitantly. Harry could tell she didn’t really like this idea.

“Hermione, what’s wrong?” Harry asked her. He knew there was something she wasn’t telling him.

“It’s just… I think I would...” Hermione’s voice broke.

“Let’s just all go together under the Invisibility Cloak to the outskirts of the village like you did last time. I’m sure no one will see us.” Ron reached across the table to take Hermione’s hand.

Hermione looked at their joined hands then up at Ron. Harry could see the confusion in her eyes as well as something he couldn’t quite figure out. He agreed with Ron and had only suggested the other plan because Hermione seemed to be trying to find excuses to delay their going even though it had been her idea to go, at least this time.

Shaking his head to clear the unwanted memories, Harry spoke, “I agree with Ron. Let’s just go. We can use the Invisibility Cloak and Apparate outside the village.” Standing, Harry held out his hand to Hermione. He could see her mind trying to work out another argument against this plan. Finally, she pulled her hand from Ron’s and put it into Harry’s.

What neither Harry nor Hermione saw was the flash of pain in Ron’s eyes when Hermione pulled away from him.

***


Ten minutes later found Harry, Hermione and Ron standing at the edge of the village. Their Apparation to the outskirts of the village had as predicted gone unnoticed.

Slowly they walked the same path Harry and Hermione had walked last Christmas Eve. As they approached the stone memorial, they watched it change into the tribute to the Potters. Ron, having not been with them on their last trip, gasped as it changed.

Harry chuckled at Ron’s reaction. Though the statue brought a bittersweet ache to his heart, seeing it now, without the fear and uncertainness he had the last time he was here, brought a sense of peace.

Harry saw Hermione staring blankly at the three people in the statue. He couldn’t imagine what she was thinking. Perhaps that she should also be in the statue, perhaps just looking at her birth parents faces and comparing them to her own. Deciding they shouldn’t stand there too long staring at what to most people appeared to be a war memorial, he knew he would have to take the lead to the cemetery this time.

As Hermione did with him, he reached out and took her hand in his and gently led her away from the statue and towards the small church with its cemetery behind it. Ron followed behind them quietly.

As they approached the kissing gate, Hermione’s steps slowed. Within three steps of the gate, Hermione stopped.

“Hermione?” Harry looked at her.

“Harry, I don’t know if I can do this. How can I go in there and see where my… where…” Hermione stopped talking and tried pulling her hand out of Harry’s.

“But, you have been here before. You’ve already seen their grave,” Ron said, clearly confused.

“Ron, I didn’t know then they were my parents! You don’t understand,” Hermione’s voice trailed off.

“Hermione, listen to me.” Harry turned Hermione to face him. “Yes, our parents’ graves are in there and I know it’s different this time going in there. But, you need to do this. You need to go in there knowing they are your parents.” Harry turned and gently pulled her along with him through the gate.

They walked along in silence until they were standing in front of the white marble stone. The wreath they had placed on the stone was long gone. Once again, Harry thought he should have brought flowers or something.

He saw Hermione’s shoulders slump. He let go of her hand and put his arm around her waist and drew her close to his side.

“I’m going to just go look around and let you two…” Ron’s voice conveyed the hurt he was feeling. When neither Harry nor Hermione answered him, he turned and walked slowly away.

As Hermione stood there, tears fell silently down her cheeks. No words were spoken between brother and sister as they stood united over their parents’ grave.


***
Ron wandered around the cemetery noticing as Harry had done months ago several names of relatives of people he knew. When he came across the Dumbledore gravesite, he stopped. He read the words on the stone and the meaning to him became clear.

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.*


Ron knew his treasure was Hermione. He knew without a doubt, she had his heart. He didn’t know if this was what Dumbledore meant by these words, but that is what they meant to him. Glancing up, Ron looked at Hermione and Harry standing arm in arm, side by side.

Ever since Dumbledore had made his confession, Ron felt as if Hermione was pulling away from him. He knew it was probably just the shock of finding out your whole life had been a lie, but Ron couldn’t help but notice while she continually told him he didn’t understand and stiffened at his touch, she seemed to be leaning on Harry. Every time he turned around Harry was hugging her, or holding her hand. Ron knew he was being petty, but he couldn’t help but feel hurt.

Shouldn’t she be turning to him for comfort? After all, they were a couple now. It’s not like when they were in school and just friends. Ron’s insecurities and feelings of never being good enough were brought to the forefront of his mind. He hadn’t felt like this in a long time and he didn’t like the feeling anymore now then he did then.

***

“Where’s Ron?” Hermione asked Harry when she finally noticed Ron was not next to her.

“I think he went to look around to give us some time,” Harry answered her. Looking around, Harry spotted Ron standing over the Dumbledore grave looking sad and lost. Harry wondered at the look on Ron’s face, but he thought it was because of the grave he was standing at.

“He’s over there,” Harry said as he pointed to Ron. “Ron!” Harry called to him.

Ron looked up at Harry’s call and started walking slowly over to them. As he approached he saw Hermione wave her wand and a bunch of flowers appeared in front of the stone.

“Let’s head up to the house, that is, if you are ready,” Harry said to Hermione.

“Okay,” she replied quietly.

Turning, they walked towards Ron. The three of them left the graveyard and headed up the road towards the home that three of the four Potters had lived in until that fateful Halloween night.
End Notes:
* This quote is directly from Deathly Hallows, chapter sixteen, Godric's Hollow, page 325, hardcover American Edition.
Treasured Memories Found by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Once again, I want to thank my beta, Harry_Rulz (Lexi). Without her, this story would not be what it is.

Everything you recognize belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am only playing in her world. A world I am very thankful to be able to play in.
There was complete silence between the three of them as they walked down the lane towards the Potter home. Halfway up the lane, Harry stopped. He looked toward the cottage sitting there.

As Hermione turned to ask Harry why he stopped, she realized they were in front of Bathilda Bagshot’s home. Reaching out, she took Harry’s hand and squeezed it.

“Harry, it’s okay. We’re okay. It’s all over now.” Hermione was worried Harry was reliving the terrifying scene on the second floor of the house.

“I’m fine, Hermione. I was just wondering if she had any family.” Harry gave Hermione a brief smile.

“Whose house is this?” Ron asked.

“Ron, this was Bathilda Bagshot’s home. This is where Harry was attacked by Nagini last year.” Hermione stated this with impatience in her voice.

“Oh. Is that the window where you two jumped out of the house?” Ron pointed to the broken window on the side of the house.

Looking up, Harry nodded. He then started walking up the little hill towards his parents’ home. As they approached, Harry noticed it the only change he could see to the cottage was the snow was gone. As he did last time, he placed his hands on the gate. Once again the sign rose out of the ground.

The amount of writing on the sign had increased since they were here last December. But, the messages over the well wishes were what drew Harry’s attention. Scribbled in many different coloured inks, by many different hands, were the same two words over and over again.

Thank you.

Those two simple words meant as much to Harry as all the well wishes they were written on. It did not matter it had been written dozens of times, it could have been written one single time and he would have felt the same. He felt his heart swell with something he couldn’t describe. All he knew was unknown witches and wizards had come to this spot and wrote on the sign to thank him not knowing if he would ever see it.

Taking a deep breath, Harry gently pushed on the gate to open it. It opened silently and easily under his hand. He did not think to ask Kingsley if he had to be physically touching anyone he wanted to bring into the yard, so he took Hermione’s hand in one of his and with the other gripped the top of Ron’s arm. Slowly, they made their way through the gate and into the overgrown yard. Once they had cleared the gate, Harry let go of them and turned and closed the gate.

Then without looking right or left, Harry walked directly to the front door. Now that he was faced with the reality of going into the house where he had lived the first fifteen months of his life, he hesitated.

What would he find when he opened the door? Would there be obvious signs of where his parents died? Harry knew his father had died in the entryway. In his mind, he could see the events of that terrible night. He didn’t know if he could walk through this door knowing he was walking over the spot where his dad died trying to save him and his mother. Shaking, he backed away from the door.

“Harry, what’s wrong? I thought we were going to go in?” Ron asked.

“Harry, do you want to see if there is a back door?” Hermione asked him gently. She had an idea of what he was thinking about. She knew as hard as this was on her, it was much harder for Harry. He had been here that night. He had seen exactly what had happened to his parents, to their parents, the night they were killed through Voldemort’s memories after their last disastrous trip here.

“What? Another door?” Harry sounded confused.

“Yes, maybe there is another door around the back we can use. Ron, why don’t you go and look. I’ll stay here with Harry.” Hermione moved closer to Harry and laid her hand on his arm.

Shrugging his shoulders, Ron set off around the house to look for another door. After only a few moments, he returned.

“There is a door out back. It looks like it goes into the kitchen.” Ron told them when he returned.

“Harry, why don’t we go in that way?” Hermione gently tugged on Harry’s arm.

“Yeah, okay. Let’s go.” Harry started to follow Ron around the house.

The yard in the back was even more overgrown than the front. Here, though, flowers were mixed throughout the weeds and grass. Harry was amazed the flowers had survived the neglect of the past seventeen years. Walking straight to the door, Harry turned the handle and opened the door into the kitchen. Once again, he took Hermione’s hand and Ron’s arm as they walked squeezed awkwardly through the doorway.

The kitchen looked as if it was frozen in time. The only evidence to the fact no one lived here for years was the thick layer of dust on every surface. Slowly, Harry walked around the kitchen looking at everything, but touching nothing.

Hermione stood next to the door looking unsure. Ron reached over and took her hand and led her to the centre of the room.

After walking around the room twice, Harry stopped at the door leading deeper into the house. Taking a deep breath, he pushed the door open. It led into the living room. As in the kitchen, this room was also covered in dust. Every surface had a greyish cast to it. He heard Hermione and Ron enter the room behind him.

Harry walked directly over to the fireplace. Picking up the first photograph on the mantle, he wiped the dust off to look at the picture. It was a picture of his parents. He knew this picture well because it was one of the pictures that were in the photograph album Hagrid had given Harry at the end of his first year of Hogwarts.

Harry sensed Hermione and Ron standing next to him. He handed the picture to Hermione before he picked up the second photograph. It wasn’t until the very last photograph he found one he didn’t already have. This picture was of Sirius holding him. Harry could tell by the look on Sirius’ face he was enjoying holding him.

Turning to Hermione, he said, “Hermione, I have all this photos in my album from Hagrid, except for this one. I want you to have those.”

Hermione looked from Harry to the pictures on the mantle to the one she still held in her hands. Without any warning, Hermione burst into tears. Ron looked at Harry and then pulled Hermione into his arms. Though she stiffened slightly at his touch, within moments she relaxed into his embrace.

Harry didn’t know what to say. He didn’t mean to make Hermione cry, again. He turned his back on them and walked over the door on the other side of the room. Pulling it open, he found it was a closet. He had a brief flash of a memory of sitting by this closet door crying. Harry didn’t know why he had been crying other than there was something in here he had wanted.

Moving aside the coats and robes that had surely belonged to his parents, Harry spotted something small propped up in the back corner. Reaching in, he grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a broomstick, a toy broomstick. This must be the one Sirius bought him for his first birthday.

“Guys, look at this. It’s the broomstick Sirius sent me for my first birthday!” Harry cried excitedly.

Hermione pulled out of Ron’s arms and both walked quickly over to him.

“Blimey, Harry. It’s so small. Just think, you used to ride on that.” Ron’s voice held a definite note of amusement.

Hermione couldn’t help but smile at the image Ron’s words put in her mind. She knew coming here was what she needed to do to help her to find out who she was, but she should have realized what this trip would mean to Harry. He has searched for the past seventeen years for answers. Hermione was glad she suggested coming here, not for herself, but for Harry.

“Harry, do you want to go upstairs? I think it would be safe as long as we stay away from... that part of the house.” She couldn’t say ‘your bedroom’. She couldn’t say it because she knew her mother had died in that room. Hermione was finally beginning to accept that the Potters were her parents, too.

Hermione didn’t wait for an answer from Harry, she just reached out and took his free hand and walked towards the open doorway. She only hoped they could get through the next few minutes of crossing over the area at the bottom of the stairs where their father died and actually go upstairs.

Crossing the foyer was probably one of the hardest things Harry or Hermione ever did. Harry could see his father’s broken body lying on the floor. He knew it was just a memory, but he also knew it was an accurate memory. Trying his best to block the image from his mind, Harry started up the stairs with Hermione at his side and Ron trailing behind… Again.


At the top of the stairs, Harry turned left. He didn’t know why, he was just going on instinct. There was a door at the end of the hall. Slowly, he opened it. As downstairs, the room was covered in dust. He knew immediately he had found his parents’ bedroom. Walking in slowly, he looked around.

In between two windows on the far wall stood a bed with small dressers on each side of it. On each side wall there was a dresser. The one on his right had more photos on it. But, it was the one on his left that caught his attention. Sitting on top of the dresser was a long thin box. As Harry approached the dresser, he noticed the layer of dust was less on the box than on all the other surfaces in the house.

On the top of box there was a letter. He set the toy broomstick down behind the box and picked up the letter. Harry was shocked to see it had his name on it. Without hesitation, he ripped open the letter. Hermione and Ron joined him at the dresser. Harry unfolded the piece of parchment and held it so both of them could read it with him. The first thing he noticed before he had even read a single word was it was written in Dumbledore’s familiar writing.

Harry,

I have asked Hagrid to bring this box and letter to the one place I know you will eventually find it. I know without a doubt you will seek answers and I hope closure. To that end, I felt leaving these here would be the best course of action.

I know you are going to question why I did not give these to you when you were in school. I believe the timing of returning these to you is very important. Though I do believe you probably should have been given these before now, I think you will appreciate them more now.

I can only assume you are reading this because you came to your childhood home to finally put the past to rest. To find acceptance and, for lack of a better term, to be able to move on with your life.

I have kept these safe for you as I have kept the house safe. I wish I could say I managed to keep you as safe through the years. But, alas, that is another topic for discussion.

Professor Dumbledore


Harry handed the letter to Hermione. He quickly picked up the box and lifted the lid. Inside were two wands. Harry had a flash of memory of Mr. Ollivander telling him about his parents’ wands.

“It seems only yesterday your mother was in here buying her first wand. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for charm work.

“Your father, on the other hand, favoured a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent for transfiguration.”
*

Harry drew out the mahogany wand. Looking down at it, he smiled. Whether or not the wand really chose the wizard, a wand excellent for transfiguration was exactly what his father had needed. He reached into the box and drawing out his mother’s willow wand, turned to Hermione.

“I think you should have this. It was Mum’s. I am going to keep Dad’s, but I want you to have Mum’s.” Harry handed the wand to Hermione.

Hermione looked down at the wand she held in her hand. She wasn’t sure how she felt about Harry giving this to her. He had told her to take the pictures downstairs, but this… This was too much.

“Harry, I don’t need to have this. I think you should keep it. You can give it to your daughter, if you have one.” Hermione made to hand the wand back to Harry.

“Hermione, I want you to have it. You can give it to your daughter when you have one.” Smiling, Harry looked from Hermione to Ron. The look on Ron’s face was a mixture of shock, embarrassment and something that looked like longing to Harry.

At Harry glance, Ron shrugged his shoulders. He looked around the room desperate for something to take the image of Hermione pregnant with his child out of his mind. He spotted a book lying on the dresser on the opposite wall. Walking over, he picked it up.

He could tell from just looking at it, it was a photo album. “Harry, look at this. It’s a photo album.”

Ron watched as Harry walked over to him. He noticed Hermione didn’t move from her place by the dresser. She still held the wand in her hand and was staring down at it. Ron could see the shimmer of tears in her eyes. Ron didn’t know what to do to help her through this. He always thought of Hermione as the strong one in their little group. Over the past twenty-four hours, he had seen her cry more than he had in the entire time he knew her.

As Harry approached Ron, Ron held out the photo album to him. Harry started to reach for it, but at the last moment, pulled his hand back. He turned and walked back to the other dresser, he once again picked up the toy broomstick then looking at Hermione, said, “Let’s go downstairs and look at the photo album.”

“Okay,” Hermione said simply.

Ron started towards the door of the bedroom followed by Hermione and then Harry. Ron was halfway down the stairs when he heard Harry say, “Hermione, what is it?”

Hermione had stopped at the top of the stairs and was staring down the short hallway. Harry looked over Hermione’s shoulder to see what it was that had her standing so still.

At the end of the short hallway there was a door. From under the door, bright sunlight could be seen. Harry knew instantly that was the door to his old bedroom.

“What’s going on? What are you doing?” Ron’s voice echoed up the stairs.

Hermione walked slowly towards the door and before Harry could catch up with her and stop her, she opened the door.
End Notes:
* Quote from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s /Sorcerer’s Stone. Chapter five, page 83, American Scholastic paperback edition.
More Missing Pieces by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish again to thank my wonderful patient beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Thank you for sticking with me through this story.

Everything you recognize in this story belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
The front corner of the room from about waist high and including the ceiling over that portion of the room was gone. Sunlight, bright and cheerful shined throughout the entire room. Sitting on the wall opposite the destruction, was a crib. This room, unlike every other room in the house they had been in, was pristine in its cleanness. There wasn’t a speck of dust to be seen anywhere.

“Someone must have cast some sort of charm to protect the contents of this room. Perhaps the Impervius Charm along with some others,” Hermione said as she looked around.

Harry didn’t answer. He walked slowly over to the crib and looked down into it.
Unbidden, tears streamed down his face. When he felt the hand on his shoulder, he looked back at Hermione. He could see tears once again shimmering in her eyes. Without a word, she wrapped her arms around him and they stood holding each other as they cried.

Unseen by either of them, Ron once again stood alone in the doorway. He was also crying. He was unable to tell if the tears were the result of watching his best friend and girlfriend in such pain, or were they from his own pain at being shut out. Again.

Ron turned and slowly walked downstairs. He went into the living room and, setting the photo album down on the couch, he began looking around. On either side of the fireplace, there were bookshelves. Ron walked over and began looking at the titles of the books. He noticed mixed in with the old school books were books on fighting the Dark
Arts.

Ron wandered over to the table at the end of the couch. He pulled open the drawer and looked inside. The first things Ron saw were several letters. As he pulled them out, he noticed a flash of golden wings. Curious, Ron reached his hand inside the drawer and closed his hand over the small object. Drawing it out, he looked down at it. It was a Snitch. Ron smiled; he knew this must have belonged to Harry’s father. He placed the letters on the tabletop and, still holding the Snitch, he sat down on the couch.

He was unsure if he should go upstairs and show Harry what he had found or just wait until they decided to come down themselves. Ron had expected this trip to be an emotional one for Harry and even for Hermione, but he had never expected to feel so left out. All he wanted to do was to comfort Hermione, but it seemed at least for now, Harry was the only one she wanted to lean on.

Deciding to wait downstairs for them, Ron reached over and picked up the letters. Looking at them, he realized they were from Sirius, Remus and possibly Peter. Glancing towards the staircase, Ron sighed and set the letters and the Snitch on the table. He settled himself a bit more comfortably on the couch and waited for Harry and Hermione to remember he was there.

***


Taking a deep breath, Hermione pulled gently away from Harry. She was tired of crying. She didn’t want to cry anymore. Hoping this last bout of tears would be the last, she smiled softly at her brother.

“Well, if you think you can manage to walk downstairs weighed down by the wetness of your shirt from my tears, maybe we should go down and find Ron.” Hermione didn’t know where the urge to joke came from, but it was a wonderful feeling. Perhaps she had finally cried all her tears.

Harry’s face showed his shock at Hermione’s joke. It was so comical, that Hermione had to laugh. “Come on, bro, let’s go find Ron.” Hermione tucked Lily’s wand that she was still holding into her ever-present beaded handbag. She took Harry’s hand and led him out of the room, stopping only to close the door behind her.

Hermione saw Ron look up as they entered the living room. She could see confusion and for the briefest of instant, suspicion on his face. She didn’t understand the emotions she could feel vibrating from him.

“Ron?” Hermione asked hesitantly, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Ron answered quickly, too quickly. “Look what I found.” He pointed to the letters and the Snitch on the tabletop.

“My dad’s old Snitch!” Harry cried as he rushed over to pick it up. “I wonder if this is the one I saw him playing with after his O.W.L.s?”

“What do you mean, you saw him playing with a Snitch? When did you see that? And how?” Hermione looked at Harry questioningly.

“In Snape’s memories. I saw my dad playing with a Snitch before...” Harry broke off his sentence. He had never told them the complete story of that memory. He wasn’t sure he wanted to, especially now. Hermione didn’t need to know about that. Harry had long ago decided to accept the explanations of Remus and Sirius as to why his dad acted the way he did towards Snape.

Setting the Snitch, his father’s wand and the toy broomstick he was still holding on the coffee table, Harry picked up the letters and looked down at them. “Hey, some of these are from Sirius, and Remus. There were a couple letters that he didn’t recognize the handwriting on the envelopes. Wonder what’s in them?” Harry moved to sit on the couch next to Ron.

Hermione knew Harry wasn’t telling them everything, but she decided, with as emotional as the day had already been, she wasn’t going to push for an explanation. Taking her cue from Harry, she moved over and sat on the other side of him. As she started to sit down, she saw the photo album on cushion of the couch where she was going to sit.

Picking it up, she sat down and looked at Harry. “Harry, why don’t we look at these pictures first? Then, we can read those letters.” Hermione passed the album to Harry since he was in the middle.

Harry looked down at the cover of the book. He saw it had golden letters on it reading “The Marauders”. Smiling, Harry quickly opened it to the first page. The first picture was of the four Marauders, arms around each other, smiling broadly. Written underneath in his mother’s familiar handwriting were the words, ‘Moony, Prongs, Padfoot and Wormtail, seventh year, 1978.’

Quickly, Harry turned the page. Over the next several pages, they saw various pictures of the Marauders. All had captions written underneath them in his mother’s writing. The pictures followed in chronological order with the exception of the very first photograph.

When they reached the pictures of their seventh year, there was an addition to some of the photos. Lily could now be seen among the four friends. There were shots of her with each of them singly, as well as group shots.

The one picture that had each of them gasping and looking at each other was the picture of Lily with Peter. They had their arms around each other’s waists and were laughing at the camera. Harry had the urge to rip the photo out of the book and tear it into tiny pieces. As he reached to do just that, Hermione grabbed his hand.

“Harry, whatever he did, at this point in time, he was their friend. We don’t know the whole story as to why he betrayed them. And in the end, he didn’t kill you.”

“He didn’t kill me because he couldn’t. I saved his life so he couldn’t take mine. Hermione, he would have killed me if he could have. He killed my, no, he killed our parents,” Harry’s voice trembled with barely suppressed anger.

“Harry is right, Hermione. He doesn’t deserve to be in these pictures. He doesn’t deserve to be remembered,” Ron’s voice was also laced with anger.

Harry resisted the urge to destroy the picture. He knew when he got back to Grimmauld Place he would cut the traitor out of all of the pictures. But for now, he just turned the page. The rest of the pictures were more of the same. It wasn’t until the very last page, Harry found the picture he had been secretly hoping was among them.

On one side, there was a picture of his dad and Sirius standing arm in arm, smiling broadly at the camera. The opposite page showed James and Sirius again, but this time they were in their Animagus forms. Standing side by side was the big black dog and a very large stag. Though Harry knew his father’s Animagus form, seeing it for the first time took his breath away.

“Wow,” Ron said.

Hermione looked at the photo. As she watched, the dog nipped at the stag playfully. The stag lowered his head to butt the dog away. When she saw this, she burst out laughing. Harry and Ron both looked at her then at each other. Within moments, all three were laughing at the antics of the dog and the stag.

When the laughter died down, Harry closed the book and placed it on the coffee table in front of the sofa. He looked down at the letters that had been on his lap under the photo album.

“I think we should wait until we get back to Grimmauld Place to read these.” He looked down at his watch before continuing, “It’s lunchtime. Do you want to head back into the village and see if we can find someplace to eat, or do you want to go back home to eat? We can come back here anytime you want, Hermione. I’m sure there are other things we will find when we come back.” Harry looked at Hermione awaiting her decision.

“Let’s go back to Grimmauld Place. Like you said, we can come back another day,” Hermione’s voice was soft and sad.

Standing up, Harry picked up the stuff he had set on the coffee table. He tucked the wand into his back pocket, the letters, the photo album and the toy broomstick he handed to Hermione to put in her bag. He then walked over to the mantelpiece to collect the photos there.

Before he could pick the first one up, Hermione said, “Harry, leave them for now. We can get them on our next trip.”

“Hermione, I want you to have these. They are your parents. You should have pictures of them.”

“I know, Harry,” Hermione said as she walked over to him. “How about this, I will take this one, and we can get the rest on our next trip.” Hermione picked up the picture of Lily and James on their wedding day.

How could she explain to Harry that by taking all the pictures she felt like she was betraying the Grangers? She couldn’t understand herself why she felt that way, so she knew she couldn’t make him understand.

Sighing, Harry relented. The three of them walked back into the kitchen and out the back door. Without speaking, they took each other’s hand, with Hermione in the middle and turned on the spot, disappearing with a distinct crack.
Letters, Unanswerable Questions and the Truth Told by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish again to thank my wonderful patient beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz).

Everything you recognize in this story belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
Once they were seated around the kitchen table at Grimmauld Place with their lunch in front of them, Harry asked Hermione for the letters. Pulling them out of her bag, she handed them to him.

Harry looked through the small stack of letters. He wasn’t sure which one he wanted to read first. He picked one out that had Sirius’ handwriting on it, opening it, he read it out loud to the others.

Lily,

Thanks for the picture of Harry on the broomstick. I knew he would be a better flyer than his father. Sorry about the vase, but if it’s the one I am thinking of, no loss there. Shame about the cat, though. Guess you’ll just have to keep it outside.

Wormy looked down, huh? I’ll check on him for you. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. I’ll try to get up there to visit soon; things are busy here so I’m not sure when it will be.

Give my godson a hug from me and tell him I love him. Tell Prongs, I’ll see what I can do about his Invisibility Cloak. I’m going to see Dumbledore later today.

Hope to see you soon,
Padfoot


Harry folded the letter and put it back in the envelope then looked up at the others. Without saying a word, he looked through the rest of the letters and took out the two others that he knew were from Sirius. Reading through them quickly, he realized that though they were only short notes, Sirius had always sought to reassure his mother while sending sly messages to his father.

When he finished reading the letters from Sirius, he opened one from Remus. It was more of the same, though the tone was different. While Remus also continued to reassure Lily on his safety, he stressed that their safety was the most important. While Sirius tried to find ways to have James join him in missions, Remus emphasised James staying hidden and safe.

Finally, there were only two letters left. Harry had an idea as to whom they were from, but hesitated in finding out if he was right. Hermione, sensing Harry’s indecision, reached over and picked up the remaining letters. Opening the first one, she noted it was from Peter. Slowly, she began to read it to them.

It was shorter than the other letters, but contained basically the same theme. Hermione was struck by the fact that what she had said back in Godric’s Hollow had been the truth. The four Marauders were best friends. There was no hint of dishonesty in these letters. They seemed to be written from a true friend. Hermione’s heart broke. She knew these letters were written from the heart, but they were also written by a man who was about to seal the death warrant on a couple of his friends. She wondered not for the first time, what had driven Peter to betray James and Lily.

“Well, those letters prove what a great liar the traitor was,” Ron said.

Hermione looked over at Harry. He was just sitting staring off into the distance. “Harry? Are you okay?” Hermione realized, as she voiced the question, it was a stupid one.

“Of course he isn’t okay, Hermione,” Ron said sarcastically. “He just had to listen to the words of a traitor claiming to actually care about the people he was about to allow to be murdered.”

Hermione looked taken back at Ron’s words. She opened her mouth to reply, but before she could speak, Harry started talking.

Harry looked at each of them. “I am just wondering… Why he did it? Why did he tell Voldemort where to find them? He must have cared about them; they were friends for years before he became a Death Eater. Why did he turn? What could have possibly made him sell out his friends?”

Neither Ron nor Hermione had answers to these questions. Hermione knew they would probably never know what had transpired in Peter’s life to make him into a traitor.

It was at that moment they heard someone coming down the stairs. Instinct honed to a razor’s edge over the past year had them each standing, moving side by side and drawing their wands.

The door to the kitchen opened and in walked Ginny Weasley.

“She is driving me crazy!” Ginny stormed over to the table and threw herself into a chair.

Lowering their wands, Harry, Ron and Hermione looked questioningly at each other. They walked over to the table to join Ginny. Before Harry sat down, he gathered the letters together and placed them on the sideboard.

“Ginny, what are you talking about? And how did you get here” Ron asked his sister.

“Mum,” she said simply. “She is going insane because she doesn’t think you three should be here instead of at the Burrow. She had Charlie bring me by side-along Apparation on his way to check on Lee at the shop. She wants me to tell you to come home. Today, now in fact. She said to tell you she didn’t want to hear any excuses.”

Hermione’s face showed panic. She wasn’t ready to face Ron’s family. How could she look them in the eye and continue to let them believe the lies about her? She couldn’t tell them the truth, not yet. She was only beginning to accept it herself.

“Ron, I think you better go back with Ginny. I am staying here or if not here, then I will go away somewhere. I’m not ready, yet.” Hermione looked at Ron hoping he would not question and force her to tell Ginny what was going on.

“Hermione, why would you want to stay here alone or go away?” Ginny questioned. “What is going on? It’s more than Ron said when he was at the house yesterday, isn’t it?”

Hermione should have known Ginny would realize something was wrong. She told Ron to go without thinking first about the questions it would raise.

“Ginny, I can’t tell you right now. Please don’t ask. I just have to have some time.” Hermione hoped this would be enough to stop the questions she could see in Ginny’s eyes. She should have known better. Ginny not only inherited the Weasley red hair and temper but also the stubbornness.

“I am asking. Has something else happened? Have you and Ron broke up?” Ginny looked at her brother.

“No, no, it’s nothing like that. I… we found something out when we were at Hogwarts the other day and I just need some time to process it, that’s all.”

“Not something with your parents? Ron’s explanation for your not bringing them home seemed a bit funny to me when he said it.” Ginny’s concern was evident in her voice.

Hermione could feel the tears forming in her eyes again. She knew she was going to tell Ginny what Dumbledore had told her. She had to start facing it and the first step would be telling Ginny.

“My… parents are fine. You are right that the reason Ron gave you was wrong.” She hesitated as she looked over at Harry. At his slight nod, she continued, “Professor Dumbledore told me… he told me the Grangers are not my real parents.” There she said it. Now that she had opened the door, the words flowed out of her quickly. She didn’t even hear Ginny’s exclamation of ‘What?’.

“I was taken by Dumbledore within seconds after my birth and placed with the Grangers. He did it to keep me safe. He fixed it so my birthday was different; in fact, I am months younger than I thought I was.”

As Hermione stopped to take a breath, Ginny broke in, “But who are your parents?”

“My birth parents are… were the Potters. I am Harry’s twin sister,” Hermione finished talking and waited for all the questions she could see Ginny wanted to ask.

“How is that possible? I don’t understand.” Ginny looked from Hermione to Harry.

Hermione having admitted the truth to Ginny couldn’t stop the tears. With a brief look at Harry, she got up and rushed from the kitchen. Ron immediately ran after her.

Ginny started to stand to follow, but Harry reached over to stop her.

“Let them go. I will explain it all to you.” Harry then began to explain how all of this was accomplished.

He had only just begun his explanation when Ron burst back into the room.

“She doesn’t want me up there with her. She told me I didn’t understand and to leave her alone.” Ron’s voice sounded hurt and angry.

Knowing this was not a good combination, Harry said, “Maybe I should go and try to talk to her.”

Ron looked at Harry before replying, “Maybe you should, since it seems you are the only one she wants to talk to anymore.” The jealousy in Ron’s voice was crystal clear.

“Ron, I’m sure that’s not true,” Ginny said immediately. She stopped talking at the glare from Ron.

Harry decided to let the jealousy he heard in Ron’s voice go unanswered. He decided Hermione needed him more than Ron needed reassurance.

“I’ll just go and talk to her. Ron, you can answer Ginny’s questions.” Harry turned and without a backward glance walked out of the kitchen.

***


Hermione heard the soft knock on the bedroom door. Sighing, she debated on not answering it. She just didn’t want to deal with any more today. Hearing Harry call to her, she went and opened the door to him.

“Hermione,” Harry began, “do you want to talk?”

“I don’t know. I guess,” Hermione said in a soft and fragile voice. She walked over and sat on the bed. She slid up and leaned against the headboard, drawing her knees up to her chest and clasping her arms around her legs.

Harry walked over and sat next to her on the bed. He waited for her to start the conversation.

“I don’t know how I am supposed to feel, or act. I just know I am tired of crying all the time. I hate to cry. And I absolutely hate for anyone to see me crying.” Hermione looked down at her knees. “I thought I was finally coming to terms with everything, and then Ginny shows up and I fall apart again. I know I have to talk about this, and I want to tell the rest of Ron’s family, but how? If I can’t even tell Ginny without falling apart, how will I tell the others?”

“Hermione, I think you are being too hard on yourself. It has only been a day since you found out. No one expects you to be all right with it so soon. Just give yourself a break here. Your life, both of our lives have changed. It’s going to take time to get used to it.” Harry reached out and patted her on the knee.

“Harry, there is something else I’ve been thinking about. It’s about Ron.” Hermione didn’t know if she would be able to explain the thoughts running through her head, but she knew if she didn’t try, if she didn’t voice them out loud she would burst.

“Does it have anything to do with the way you have been pushing him away over the past day?” Harry asked.

Hermione turned and looked at Harry. Had she been that obvious? She only just realized she had been doing that a few minutes ago, how did Harry know? Did Ron realize what she was doing?

Hermione saw Harry give her a small smile before he continued, “Hermione, I’ve known you since you were eleven. I’ve watched you and Ron dance around liking each other almost as long. Did you think I wouldn’t notice?”

She knew Harry was right. He would notice the way she had been acting. Ron, however, she felt he probably had no clue what she had been doing.

“At first, I didn’t realize what I was doing. All I knew was I felt like I wasn’t the same person anymore, so how could Ron feel the same way about me? I still feel like that, but part of it is, I just don’t think he understands what I am going through. How could he? I know I am not being fair to him, but for now, I think it is probably best if we broke up.

“I need to figure out who I am and what I want. I can’t be worried about hurting Ron’s feelings at every turn or trying to explain to him what I am feeling every minute. I just think I need a break.” Hermione looked at Harry waiting for his reaction. When he didn’t immediately speak, she continued with the next and probably the hardest part.

“I think I want to go away, like I told Ginny. I need some time alone.”

“I don’t think that is the answer, either of those choices. First of all, Ron may not understand the way you think he should, but you need to talk to him and give him a chance. As far as going away alone, no way. I won’t even bring the fact it is still dangerous to be on your own because of the renegade Death Eaters, but I will tell you I don’t want you dealing with this by yourself. You are not the only one who has been affected by this. I have too. Part of my life has been taken away and something wonderful has been added to it, you.

“Stay here with me, Hermione. If you think it is so important for you to be alone, fine, you can be alone here. I have agreed to help Kingsley round up the missing Death Eaters so I won’t be around much anyway. Neither will Ron as he said he would help too. So, there is no reason for you to leave the safety of this house.” Harry finished talking and looked at her.

“I don’t know. I guess I could stay here. But I am sticking by my choice about Ron. I honestly wish you would help me convince him to go back to the Burrow. I think it would be easier if he wasn’t here.”

Hermione could tell Harry was torn between what she wanted and Ron. She hated having to put this on him, but just for once in her life, she had to think about herself.

“I don’t like it, and you have to tell him. Try to make him understand. I can’t do that for you, but I can stand by your decision and talk to Ron after you do.” Harry knew convincing Ron to leave and go to the Burrow would not be an easy task.

“I am going to go down and send Ron up. I’ll warn you now though, he wasn’t too happy you sent him away before. I should also tell you, he doesn’t like that it seems you keep turning to me instead of him,” Harry said the last apologetically.

“Okay. Will you do me another favour? Will you apologize to Ginny for me? I just can’t talk to her right now. Will you also ask her not to say anything to anyone?” Hermione asked these questions in a rush as if she feared Harry would say no.

“Of course. I’ll just go and send Ron up.” Harry stood and walked to the door, with a quick glance back at Hermione and a brief smile, he walked out the door.
Heartbreak and the Next Step by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Once again, I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Without you, this story would not be what it is.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.
Harry walked into the kitchen to find Ron and Ginny talking quietly. Both looked up at his entrance. He held his hand up to forestall any questions from them.

“Ron, Hermione needs to talk to you. Do me a favour, and listen to her. Give her a chance to explain,” Harry told Ron as he approached the table. “And keep that Weasley temper in check. No matter what she tells you, remember she loves you but she is really mixed up right now.”

Harry could tell Ron was not only confused, but also a little scared at what Hermione was going to say to him. Harry wished he could tell him more, but he felt it was Hermione who needed to tell him.

Harry watched Ron walk out of the kitchen and sighed. He knew his friend was about to have his heart broke, but he also knew it would all work out if Ron just gave Hermione a chance to accept this new reality.

Harry sat down at the table and looked at Ginny. “So, anything new and exciting happening?” Harry made an attempt at lightning the mood that seemed to have permeated the kitchen.

When Ginny started laughing, Harry joined in. Once the laughter died away, Harry gave Ginny, Hermione’s message and then they sat and talked quietly about the fact he had a sister.

Ron had done a great job of explaining the entire situation to Ginny. Harry only had to explain a few things to her. Though it shouldn’t have, it surprised him that Ginny asked how he was dealing with this news.

At Harry’s surprised look, Ginny reached over and took his hand. “Harry, it’s not only Hermione who is affected by this, you are too. I can’t imagine finding out I have another brother or sister that I didn’t know about. You have always thought of yourself as alone, but now you find out you aren’t. You have a sister. You have to have some feelings about that.”

“Well, it’s not as if it is going to change anything. I mean… I already thought of Hermione like a sister, this just makes it real.” Harry thought about how he really felt about Hermione being his sister. He had been so focused on how Hermione felt, he didn’t even think about what he was feeling.

“I’m happy of course. I could have found out my sister was someone from Slytherin. Now that wouldn’t be good.” Harry tried to brush off his feelings. He had never been comfortable sharing them, preferring to keep them inside.

“Harry, I know you better than you think I do. This isn’t something you can just brush off. Your parents had a daughter. Your parents are not just your parents anymore. They are Hermione’s too. You have never had to share the memory of your parents with anyone. That memory has always been yours and yours alone. Now their memory also belongs to Hermione.

“I have always had to share my parents. But you never have. I know that has to bother you and that’s okay. It’s perfectly natural you would be upset, too.” Ginny stopped talking and looked at Harry. She didn’t know where all that had come from, but she knew it was all the truth.

“Ginny, when did you get so smart? I guess deep down, it is bothering me a little bit having to share everything with someone else, someone who has as much right to the memories as I do. I guess that is why I think I have been pushing too hard with Hermione. I expected her to want all the pictures from the cottage and I will admit… I was hurt she didn’t want to take them when we left there.”

“I’ve always been smart. And it was actually Ron who brought up the subject of you not dealing with this. It just got me to thinking about how you handle things. You push people away…” Ginny stopped briefly at Harry’s wince, “you think you have to do everything yourself. You share one thing with Professor Dumbledore, you care too much and as a result, you have to protect everyone even when they can protect themselves.” Ginny knew the words she spoke probably hurt Harry, but they were things that needed to be said.

Harry looked at Ginny. He knew she was right. He did do all of that and more. How could he explain to her that growing up basically alone, never having anyone to really care about him or anyone to care about, he enjoyed taking care of people? How could he explain since he found out the truth about his parents’ deaths and his scar, he has always felt it was his duty to protect the people he cared about from everything bad?

Harry had no idea how to explain this to Ginny. He wasn’t even sure he wanted to. So he decided to bring the topic back to Hermione. He knew he was going to need help to convince Ron to leave here so he thought he better tell Ginny what Hermione was about to do.

***

Hermione waited for Ron to come upstairs. Now that she had made her decision regarding him, she felt calmer than she had in the past couple of days. Hearing his knock on the door, she called for him to come in.

She saw Ron hesitate in the doorway. She wished she could offer him a reassuring smile, but all she could do was look at him. For an instant, she doubted her choice. She loved him. All she wanted to do in this moment was to curl up in his arms and let him ease the pain in her heart and soul.

“Ron, come and sit here next to me. There is something I want to talk to you about.” Hermione patted the bed next to where she was leaning against the headboard.

Slowly Ron made his way over to the bed. As he took her hand, he gave her a small smile.

“Hermione,” Ron began his voice serious, “I think I know what you are going to say. You are going to tell me you don’t want to be a couple anymore. You are sitting there, trying to find the words to tell me you need time without me around, right?” Ron tried to keep his voice level, but there was a hint of anger in it.

“Yes, that is what I am trying to find the words to tell you. It’s not that I don’t still love you,” Hermione rushed to reassure him. “It’s just I don’t know who I am so how can you? I just need some time. Please,” the last word was said in a whisper.

Ron didn’t immediately answer her. Instead he got up and stalked around the room. Hermione could tell he was fighting to control his anger. Anger she knew was fuelled by the pain she was causing.

Turning back to Hermione, Ron spoke from across the room, “Right now, I want to tell you I don’t care about your parents. I don’t care about anything we found out from Dumbledore. I love you no matter what. But...” Ron’s voice trailed off as he moved back to the bed and sat beside her. He gently stoked a finger down the side of her face.

“I won’t say those things to you, because you wouldn’t believe me. Even though they are the truth, until you can believe them, believe in my love for you, I have to agree with you. We can’t be a couple like this.” Ron stood up and leaned down to place a gentle kiss on Hermione’s forehead.

Ignoring the tears in her eyes, he stood and walked to the door. As he grasped the doorknob, he turned back to her.

“I am going back to the Burrow. I’ll handle whatever questions Mum throws at me, don’t worry. When you can believe in us again, you know where to find me.” With that, Ron walked out the door and closed it gently.

Hermione sat stunned. When had Ron grown up? There was a maturity there she hadn’t seen before or ever expected to see from him. Before she could ponder on the change in Ron, the tears overcame her again and she didn’t fight them.

***

Harry looked up as Ron walked quietly into the kitchen. Harry could see the devastation on his face, but he waited for Ron to speak so he would know how to handle the situation.

“I am going back to the Burrow. I will meet you at the Ministry in the morning for the meeting with Kingsley.” Ron looked at Harry and then without another word, he turned and walked back out of the kitchen. Before Harry or Ginny could move, they heard the slam of the front door, the only indication of the anger Ron was feeling.

Sighing Harry got up to go upstairs and close the curtains on Mrs. Black’s portrait. They could hear her screams even though they were down in the kitchen.

“Remind me to ask Kreacher if there is any way to get her portrait down,” Harry said to Ginny as he walked out of the kitchen.

***

In the month that followed, Harry and Hermione fell into a routine. They would more often than not, share a quiet breakfast together, then Harry would leave for the Ministry. He, along with Ron and Neville were actively assisting Kingsley in the capture of the roaming Death Eaters as well as the restructuring of the Auror Department. Hermione spent her days helping Kreacher make the house liveable. At first Kreacher argued against her help, but eventually he reluctantly gave in. In the past couple weeks, though he would never admit it, he was enjoying her company.

Over shared dinners, Harry would tell Hermione about what was going on at the Ministry. Harry was careful to not use Ron’s name and Hermione never directly asked about him. Harry often thought it was similar to last Christmas when they both avoided saying Ron’s name.

So it was a surprise and a shock when at dinner one night, Harry said, “Hermione, Ron gave me these two letters for you.”

Hermione took the letters and carefully opened the first one. It was from Mrs Weasley. She read it out loud to Harry;

Dear Hermione,
I am writing to you to ask you to please come to diner tomorrow night. It is Fleur’s birthday and we would love to have both of you here.

Though I am not certain I believe Ron’s reasons for both of you remaining there, I am asking you to convince Harry to come to dinner. It has been too long since we have seen either of you.

I am expecting both of you here by six o’clock tomorrow night. If you are not here by then, I will assume you couldn’t convince Harry and I will send Bill and Charlie to collect him.

Love,
Molly


Hermione didn’t say anything about the letter, she just opened the next one and began to read;

Hermione,
I tried to stop Mum from bugging you about coming for Fleur’s birthday. It didn’t work. I wish I could say she wasn’t serious about sending Bill and Charlie, but I can’t. She already informed both of them they may have to come and get you both.

I know it may be hard to be around Ron, but I don’t see any way for you not to come. I promise to run interference for you with Ron if you need me to. Just come, please.

I miss you
Ginny


Hermione carefully folded each letter and put them back into their respective envelopes before she spoke.

“I think we should go to the Burrow tonight,” she said simply.

Harry who had been expecting panic from Hermione was stunned. “Tonight?” he asked. “Why tonight?”

“I am going to tell them the truth. They deserve to know and I feel so guilty that Ron has had to lie to his mother because of me. I want to go tonight, because I don’t want to spoil Fleur’s birthday celebration.”

Hermione could tell Harry didn’t know what to say. She could also see excitement in his eyes. Knowing how close he was to the Weasleys, she was suddenly struck by how unfair she was being to him by keeping him away from them.

“Harry, I’m sorry,” she said to him causing him to look at her in confusion.

“Sorry for what?” Harry asked.

“I didn’t think how hard all of this would be on you. You have had to stay here with me and away from them for the past month. I know you see Ron everyday and probably see Mr Weasley once in a while, but to have to stay here instead of at the Burrow… I’m just sorry.” Hermione’s voice trailed off.

“Hermione, it’s okay, honest. I completely understand why you needed time. Are you sure you are ready to do this?” Harry reached across and grasped her hand.

“No, but I have to. I never thought about what my decision was costing you and having Ron lie to his mum… that isn’t right. So, are we going or not?” Hermione smiled at Harry.

“Let’s go,” Harry said, his excitement was clear in his voice. “Kreacher?” he called to the little house-elf.

“Yes, Master?” Kreacher bowed low next to Harry.

“Kreacher, Hermione and I are going to the Burrow for a couple days. Will you be okay here alone?” Harry asked him.

“Yes, Master. Kreacher will be fine. Kreacher still has much work to do here. Miss Hermione has been a help, but Kreacher does not mind working alone.”

“Okay, we will be back in a couple days. If you need anything, or there is a problem, come directly to the Burrow,” Harry said to the elf.

“Kreacher will come to the Burrow if the Master wants, but Kreacher does not see there being any problems.” With this, the house-elf started to clean off the table from their dinner.

Not wanting to give Hermione time to change her mind, Harry stood and held his hand out to her. “Let’s go up and grab some clothes and then we can go.”

Nodding, Hermione agreed.
Truth, Tears and a Joke by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Once again, I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Without you, this story would not be what it is.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.
They Apparated to the side yard of the Burrow. Taking Hermione’s hand in his, Harry walked over to the kitchen door and knocked. The door was opened within seconds by Mrs Weasley. The shock on her face lasted only the briefest of moments, before both of them were enveloped in a hug. As Molly released them, she grabbed an arm of each and dragged them into the house. Closing the door quickly as if she was fearful they would leave, she turned to them.

“We weren’t expecting you until tomorrow. Oh, I am so happy you are here,” she said on a rush. Looking at both of them closely, her mother’s instincts kicked in. She had suspected from the very first day, Ron was not telling her the truth. He was hiding something and Molly was going to find out before the night was over.

“Mrs Weasley, there is something I need to…” Hermione’s voice trailed off as she struggled with the words that would seal her fate in telling the truth.

“Where is everyone?” Harry asked to give Hermione a few moments to compose herself.

“What? Oh, Arthur is out back in his little shed, he is working on that damn bike of Sirius’. Yes, I know he has it hidden out there. The boys, Ginny and Fleur are up in the back field playing Quidditch,” Molly answered absently, her eyes never leaving Hermione’s face.

“Why don’t I go and get them?” Harry started towards the kitchen door, as he passed Hermione, he gave her shoulder a quick squeeze.

“Come sit down, dear,” Molly took Hermione’s hand and led her over to the table. “How about a cup of tea while we wait?”

Molly set about making Hermione a cup of tea. She knew there was something very wrong with Hermione. She couldn’t help but notice how Harry had sought to reassure her before leaving the house.

She also knew there was something wrong between Hermione and Ron. Ron wouldn’t talk about it and had even gone so far as to tell her, his own mother, to stay out of it. He firmly refused to talk about Hermione since he moved back home and wouldn’t even stay in the room if her name came up.

Placing a cup of tea in front of Hermione, Molly said, “I’ll just go out and fetch Arthur. I love to see him scramble to hide what he is doing when I surprise him by coming out there.” With a smile, Molly turned and left the kitchen.

***

As Harry approached the field where the impromptu game of Quidditch was being held, he could see several broomsticks in the air. As he walked, he tried to identify who was who. Ginny was easily the most recognizable being the only girl flying. As he picked out each of the Weasley brothers, his eyes spotted the one with the beater bat. At first his mind tried to figure out which twin it was. Then reality crashed down on him and he stopped walking abruptly. He took a moment to let the wave of grief pass, concentrating on the fact that George was actually playing in the game. Smiling, he continued on.

Topping the hill, he spotted Fleur sitting under a nearby tree. As he approached her, he could hear curses flying through the air. Turning, he saw Ron and Ginny in a heated debate. Though he could not clearly understand everything being said, he knew Ginny was berating Ron for letting a goal through.

“Better watch out Ron, you know how good she is at a Bat-Bogey Hex,” Harry called up to them.

Amid shouts of greetings, the five players flew down in front of Harry.

“Harry, just the man we need. We can use another Seeker,” Bill said to him.

“I’m not here to play. I came up to get all of you. Hermione is down at the house and she wants to talk to everyone.”

Ron and Ginny looked at Harry with questions clearly written on their faces. He nodded his head at them.

“You mean we are finally going to find out just what in Merlin’s name is going on?” the question came from Charlie.

“It seems so,” said Ron. “But no matter what she says, please just support her.”

Each of Ron’s brothers looked questioningly at him. Shaking his head, Ron started walking down to the house. Harry and Ginny hurried to catch up with him leaving the others to follow behind them.

***

Hermione sat quietly alone at the kitchen table. Arthur had come in and after greeting her, went to clean up. Molly had followed after him saying something about how could he get so dirty when he was only supposed to be feeding the chickens.

Hermione looked up as the door opened and Harry and the Weasleys including Fleur walked in. Though each of them greeted her, she could sense the questions and uncertainty in their hellos.

Harry immediately sat down on Hermione’s right and Ron took the seat on her left. Ginny quickly took the seat directly across from her. Hermione appreciated their unspoken support.

As everyone settled into chairs, Mr and Mrs Weasley came into the kitchen. Mrs Weasley took in the crowded table and asked if Hermione wanted to go into the sitting room to talk. Shaking her head, Hermione didn’t reply.

“Hermione, do you want me to send for Percy? If you want him here, too, I can Floo him at his apartment. He can be here in moments,” Mrs Weasley asked.

“No, it’s okay. I need to tell you all something,” Hermione said. “But, first of all, I want to apologize to all of you, especially to you, Ron,” Hermione looked at Ron. “Ron has been lying to all of you for the past month. He did it for me.” Hermione took a deep breath.

“The day we left here and went to Hogwarts, we didn’t go to find out if I could go back to school, though I did ask before we left and I am going back in September. We went because Professor McGonagall asked us to come up before I went to get my… to get my…” Hermione’s voice faltered. Harry lifted his arm and put it around her shoulder.

This move was not lost on Molly whose eyes flashed fire for a moment.

“Before I went to get my parents from Australia. She said Professor Dumbledore needed to talk to us first. When we got there, Professor Dumbledore told me, he told us the truth.”

“The truth, dear? The truth about what?” Mrs Weasley asked gently.

As Ron reached over and took one of Hermione’s cold hands in his, Hermione took another deep breath. She knew she had to say it, just say it and get it out in the open.

“The Grangers are not my birth parents. I was taken from my birth family moments after I was born and placed with them to raise as their own. With lots of Memory charms, the Grangers never knew I wasn’t their biological daughter.”

There were gasps around the table as what she said sunk in. Before anyone could ask the obvious question, Hermione rushed on, “James and Lily Potter are my birth parents, I am Harry’s twin sister.” There she said it, everyone knew now.

Harry tightened his hold on Hermione slightly. He caught her eye and smiled at her. Around the table there was complete silence. Then out of nowhere, there came a voice.

“Hermione, I don’t know how to tell you this, but… this means that great bullying git, Dudley, is your cousin, too.” George’s voice held a note of amusement.

If the silence was thick before, it was nothing compared to what descended on the kitchen as soon as George stopped speaking. No one had expected a joke to come from him and he looked quite shocked the words had come out of his mouth.

Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at each other before bursting into fits of laughter. Everyone went from looking at George, to staring at them. Harry knew he better explain quickly before they all thought they had lost their minds.

“When we got back to Grimmauld Place from Hogwarts, I made almost the same joke to Hermione. It was as if…” Harry stopped in his explanation as he didn’t know how the family would react to Fred’s name.

“Fred’s voice came out of your mouth,” George finished Harry’s sentence.

“Exactly,” Harry stated glad George at least understood the weird coincidence.

George gave Harry a brief smile and for a moment, Harry’s mind was flooded with memories of another man with the same smile, the same face.

Molly looked from George to Harry, to Ron then at Hermione. Without a word, she walked over to Hermione. Removing Harry’s arm from around her, she pulled Hermione to her feet and drew her into her embrace.

When Molly’s arms closed around her, Hermione’s shaky control broke. She suddenly found herself sobbing on Molly’s shoulder. Molly gently led her into the sitting room and over to the couch.

“There, there, it’s going to be okay. Everything will be fine. Let it all out,” Molly gently soothed her. Molly knew heartbreak when she saw it, and this poor girl’s heart was shattered. Molly continued to speak quiet words of comfort as she let Hermione cry.

Though her voice was soothing, inside Molly was angry. How could Dumbledore do this to her? To Harry? To Lily and James? These questions ran through Molly’s mind and as she thought of what each of these people lost, she became angrier and angrier. Molly knew she had to control this anger as this little girl in her arms was hurt enough by all this and didn’t need the added drama of Molly losing control over her own emotions.

As Hermione’s tear subsided, she took a few shuttering breaths before pulling out of Molly’s warm embrace.

“I’m sorry; I thought I had cried all my tears.”

“Hush, child, it is perfectly understandable why you were crying.” Molly pushed Hermione’s apology aside.

“Now before we go back into the kitchen, I have something I want to say to you.” It was now Molly’s turn to hesitate.

“I want to say, thank you.” Hermione’s questioning look gave Molly the needed push to finish.

“Tonight was the first time I have heard a joke come out of George’s mouth. For a moment there, it was as if these past few months had never happened.” Molly’s eyes filled with tears, and Hermione knew it would be a bit longer before they went back into the kitchen.

Reaching out, she put her arms around Molly and they both gave into the tears born on loss.

***
In the kitchen, though the voices were kept low, the questions didn’t stop. Harry with Ron’s help tried to explain everything Professor Dumbledore did and why. They also told of their trip to Godric’s Hollow.

When the subject turned to the letters they found, Harry asked the question that had taken root in his mind when he heard the letters from Peter.

“Mr Weasley, is there anyway to find out why Wormtail turned on my parents?”

“Because he was a lousy, lying murderous-” Ron’s voice was cut off by his father’s.

“Ron! Harry, I don’t know. I won’t say the subject hasn’t been discussed because it has. Sirius and I had a long conversation one night with Remus about that very subject. From what Remus could find out, Peter’s mother disappeared just before your parents were killed.

“Remus thinks Voldemort may have been threatening her and that is why Peter did what he did. I just don’t know. We probably will never know.” Arthur looked at Harry wishing there was a way he could help him with this.

For a few moments, Harry didn’t speak. Finally, he looked at Mr Weasley and then at Ron as he said, “I know Remus would probably think me foolish, but I would like to think that is the reason he did what he did. It doesn’t excuse him, nor will I ever forgive him for what he did, but maybe just maybe he wasn’t all bad,” Harry’s said with a question in his tone.

No one answered. Ron looked dubious, but didn’t voice any opinion. After a few minutes, the silence was broken by Mrs Weasley and Hermione coming back into the kitchen.

Molly went over to the sink, turning she asked, “Does anyone want a cup of tea? Or something to eat?”

Smiling, Hermione knew everything was going to be okay. She looked at Harry and he smiled back at her. Yes, everything was going to be fine, she had a brother and her little announcement hadn’t changed a thing with the Weasleys.
A Plan Between Friends by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Thank you for everything you have done with this story and for sticking by me through months of no new chapters. There will be new chapters coming your way soon.

I do not own, nor claim to own anything you recognise in this story. It all belongs to J. K. Rowling and I am thankful to get to play in her world, even if for a little while.
A half hour later found Hermione alone in Ginny’s room. She claimed a headache and excused herself to go to bed early. Seeing as no one argued with her, she had a feeling she was the main topic of conversation around the kitchen table.

***

Hermione was right about the conversation around the table. Molly waited until she heard the bedroom door close then said, “That poor girl. Can you imagine what she must be feeling? To be one person all your life, to have that suddenly taken away from you. She must be so confused. The person she thought she was she finds out in an instant, she isn’t. I’m sure she doesn’t know who she is anymore. My heart is breaking for her.” Molly shook her head. She looked directly at Ron as she continued, “Ron, I want to know the rest of it. I want to know why you have been here for the past month and not with Hermione.”

All heads turned to look at Ron and because of this, no one noticed the tall red-headed man walk quietly out of the kitchen.

***

George knocked softly on Ginny’s bedroom door. He hoped Hermione wasn’t sleeping. He really needed to talk to her.

“Hermione, it’s George, can I come in?”

“Yes.”

George opened the door and walked in closing the door behind him. He saw Hermione sitting at the top of the bed, her knees drawn up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them. Approaching the bed, he sat down on the side.

“Can I talk to you about something?” he asked.

“Of course,” Hermione replied sounding confused.

George wasn’t sure how to say what he wanted to say without upsetting Hermione. He didn’t want to do that, but there was no one else who might understand.

“Mum was just talking downstairs and she said something that described me perfectly. She said, ‘To be one person all your life, to have that suddenly taken away from you. The person she thought she was she finds out in an instant, she isn’t.. I’m sure she doesn’t know who she is anymore.’” George looked at Hermione to gauge her reaction. He knew instantly his mum was right.

“Hermione, that’s how I’ve been feeling since... since…” George hesitated to say the words, “since that day. I have always been part of two. Fred and George, George and Fred, or just the Twins. I have never been just George. I don’t know who just George is.”

Hermione looked at George with tears in her eyes. She straightened out her legs and slid herself next to him. She reached out and pulled him into a hug. Within moments, George gave into the tears he had been holding in for so long.

As his tears slowed, George felt embarrassment. He couldn’t believe he had just cried his eyes out on his brother’s girlfriend’s shoulder. Drawing back, he said, “Hermione, I’m sorry. I just…” Hermione’s voice cut him off.

“George, don’t you dare apologize for being human. Do you know how much I have cried in the past month?” She looked questioningly at him.

“Yeah, well, you’re a girl. You are supposed to be emotional,” George said teasingly.

“George, do you realize that is the second time you made a joke tonight?”

George looked shocked. Then right before Hermione’s eyes, he smiled and transformed into the old George.

“Hermione, I’d have to say you must be good for me. So, since you have been dealing with this for a month, can you tell me how to do it?” At Hermione’s blank stare, George explained, “Can you tell me how to find out who George Weasley is? Because I just don’t know who I am anymore.”

Over the next half hour, Hermione and George sat and talked about finding themselves. George explained to Hermione how he was considering going away for a while. As George got up to leave, Hermione placed a hand on his arm to stop him. An idea had been forming in her mind while they talked.

“George, I have an idea,” she said to him.

“What? Want to elope?”

“That makes three. But seriously…I think I have an idea to solve both our problems. I need to go and bring my parents back from Australia, and you said you need to get away. Why don’t you go with me? Harry and Ron will never agree to let me go alone and honestly, I don’t really want either of them with me when I tell the Grangers the truth.”

“Go with you? To Australia?” George sounded confused but Hermione could see a small sparkle of life in his eyes.

“Yes, to Australia. We won’t be gone long. I know where my parents moved to. Well, sort of. I know the city they moved to, but they shouldn’t be too hard to find. So, what do you say, want to go on a trip with me?”

George sat for a moment before answering, “Sure do, but how in the name of Merlin are we going to tell Mum and Ron we are running away together?” At Hermione’s shocked and panicked look, George burst out laughing. “Hermione, I know it is just two friends who are going through the same thing, going on a trip to find the one friend’s parents.”

Hermione smiled and then began laughing along with George.

***

Outside the bedroom door, Ron stood frozen. He had come up to try to talk to Hermione before Ginny came to bed. He could hear her laughing. But it wasn’t her laughing that had him seeing red; it was the fact that he could hear George laughing too. On one hand, it was wonderful to hear George’s laugh again, but the fact he was in the bedroom alone with Hermione laughing, that was just too much.

Opening the door, he asked, “Isn’t this cosy?”

Hermione and George looked up at Ron. George smiled and threw his arm around Hermione. “Sure is, or it was until you came in, little brother.”

Ron was taken by surprise. First his brother makes a joke downstairs, then he slips out of the kitchen to presumably come up here and he is caught laughing, actually laughing with Hermione, now he is once again joking. Ron thought about the past month. George had been like a little lost puppy. He never stayed long in any one place in the house with the exception of his room. He barely spoke to any of them and not once since the day Fred died had he cracked even the tiniest of jokes.

And Hermione, he hadn’t seen nor heard from her in the month since they broke up. Tonight she barely acknowledged him. Granted, she did allow him to hold her hand when she was telling the family what was going on. Now, she was in here, alone with George, laughing and joking.

Ron was not happy.

“Ron! What are you doing up here?” Hermione spoke quickly. She pulled away from George who gave her a knowing look, and then walked over to Ron.

“I think I will just take myself off to my room. Hermione, thanks for the talk. If I come up with any ideas for that problem, I’ll let you know.” George gave Hermione a wide smile and nodding to Ron, walked out the door.

“What was that all about? What problem? And what were you two laughing about?” Ron walked further into the room and turned to look back at Hermione. “Oh, and one more thing, what did you do to George to bring my brother back?”

“George came up here to talk to me because of something your mother said. Something about me not knowing who I am anymore. He realized that was exactly how he felt and knew I would understand what he couldn’t explain to any of you. As far as what we were laughing about, it was just a dumb joke George made.” Hermione looked at Ron to see if he would pick up on the questions she would rather not answer right now.

“Okay, but what is this problem George spoke about?” Ron was not going to let her get away with avoiding any of his questions.

“Ron, it’s not important. Just an idea I had. Now, why did you come up here?” Hermione asked in an effort to change the subject.

“It does matter, but I’ll drop it… for now. I came up hoping we could talk about us. I’ve missed you.” Ron walked over to where Hermione was standing and reached out to take her hand.

“I’ve missed you too, Ron. But, there isn’t an ‘us’, is there? Not right now anyway.”

Ron expected that response from her. He had prepared himself for it, but right now, in light of finding George laughing with her, he was worried. What if Hermione never realized she still loved him? Did she know how much he loved her and what staying away from her had been pure hell?


Ron was saved from answering her by Ginny’s arrival. He let go of Hermione’s hand and without a word or backward glance, walked out the door.

“Did I interrupt something?” Ginny asked.

“Nothing that isn’t better off for having been interrupted. Ginny, can we talk?” Hermione asked her friend.

The sun was just starting to lighten the horizon when Ginny and Hermione finally fell asleep. Hermione had a plan for her and George’s trip. Ginny had found the perfect solution for dealing with Mrs Weasley. It would be up to George to do his part in convincing Ron. As far as Harry, Ginny would be perfect to convince him this was the best plan. Divide and conquer, it always works.

***

Though both Hermione and Ginny were tired the next morning, they helped Mrs Weasley without complaint. It did both of their hearts good to see her step out of her grief long enough to have a birthday party for Fleur.

Hermione noticed George was very quiet and kept to himself. About mid-afternoon, Percy arrived. George took one look at him and walked outside. Hurt was clearly written on Percy’s face. Giving him a small smile, Hermione followed George outside.

The tension Hermione had felt all day coming from Ron had taken its toll on her. Though she understood what George was going through, she had enough of his moping and being distant from his family.

“George, GEORGE! Wait up,” Hermione yelled to him.

Stopping, George stood with his shoulders slumped as he waited for Hermione to catch up with him.

“Just what was that all about? Why did you treat Percy that way?” Hermione asked. She knew she was taking her frustration at Ron out on him, but she had to vent it somewhere and he was handy.

“It was nothing,” George replied as he started to walk away.

“Nothing? Yes, it was something. You didn’t even speak to Percy. You took one look at him and walked out the door.” Hermione grabbed one of George’s arms and pulled him around to face her. She was shocked to see tears in his eyes.

“George, do you blame Percy for Fred dying?” Hermione thought this may be the reason for his attitude.

“Blame Percy? Nope, I blame myself. I know Percy blames himself and that is why I can’t face him. Not because it’s his fault, but because it’s… mine.” George tried to shake Hermione’s hand off his arm.

“George, it wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t Percy’s, or Ron’s or Harry’s or mine. It was Voldemort’s fault. Don’t you think we have all struggled with feeling guilty? What if I had cast a cushioning charm around us? Or I should have cast a ‘Protego Charm’ on all of us. Why didn’t I? It could have saved his life.

“George, we can’t live blaming ourselves or each other. It happened and we have to accept it. We have to place the blame where it belongs. Fred died joking with Percy. He died laughing, with a smile on his face. We couldn’t ask for a more appropriate way for him to die. You need to accept this.” Hermione hoped she wasn’t going too far. But there was one more thing she had to say. If George never spoke to her again, then so be it, but it needed to be said.

“George, if you died, would you want Fred acting the way you are now? Or would you want him honouring your memory by keeping the jokes alive?”

George didn’t answer. He looked down at Hermione. She could see he was thinking about what she said.

“Hermione, there is something I need to do. Will you tell Mum, I will be back in a little while? I promise, I’m okay and about what you said, you are right.” With that, George gently removed Hermione’s hand and without another word Apparated from the Burrow.

Well, now I have gone and done it. I pushed too hard and George ran away. she thought to herself as she walked back to the house. She hoped no one would ask where George was because she wasn’t sure he was coming back.
Complications by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
First,I want to thank my beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). I am so glad you stuck with me and this story.

Second, I need to give a big thanks to Carole, (Equinox Chick) for allowing me to use a potion she invented in my story.

I also want to thank my loyal readers for your patience while the muse for this story was on vacation. She is back now so updates will come regularly again.

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything you recognise belongs to her. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world.
As Hermione approached the house, Percy came out the door. ‘Great,’ she thought, ‘now I have to deal with Percy.

“Hermione, is George okay? Where is he?” Percy asked.

“He’s fine. He said to tell everyone he would be back in a little while.” She hoped Percy would accept this and let her pass.

“Can I ask you something?” At Hermione’s nod, he continued, “What is going on with you and Ron? He didn’t look happy when you followed George outside. Is there something going on with George?”

Hermione sighed. She knew this was going to be the general thought when they told everyone they were going away together. Well, she was going to put a stop to it right now.

“There is nothing going on between me and George other than I understand what he is going through and he understands what I am going through.” Hermione realized as soon as she said it, Percy didn’t know about her true parentage. At Percy’s look of confusion, Hermione knew she would have to explain it all again.

“To make a long story short, the Grangers are not my birth parents. Harry, Ron and I found this out a month ago when we went to Hogwarts at Professor McGonagall’s request. Professor Dumbledore took me from my birth parents seconds after I was born to protect me. The Potters are my birth parents.

“So, you see, right now, I don’t know who I am and George is feeling the same way. He doesn’t know who just George is. Knowing I understand what he is feeling, he has been able to talk to me about what he has been going through. That is all.” Hermione almost started laughing at the look of shock on Percy’s face.

“How is that possible? I mean, you are older than Harry,” Percy said.

“Look, ask Harry to explain it all to you. I really don’t feel like going through it all again. I need to go in and help your mum with the party,” Hermione said. She knew she was being very rude, but at this exact moment, she didn’t care. The Weasley brothers were giving her a headache.

“Hermione, wait, please?” Percy said. “Can I ask you something else?”

Her headache growing, Hermione nodded.

“Does George… I mean, he won’t look at me, won’t talk to me…” Hermione saw Percy take a deep breath. “He blames me, doesn’t he?”

Hermione had to push back the rush of anger that ran through her body. The damage done by one evil man… the damage still being done to this family was unbelievable. She looked at Percy and realized his pain was as deep as any of the other members of this now fractured family; maybe more so because of his separation from the family over the past few years and his proximity to Fred when he died.

“Percy, he doesn’t blame you,” Hermione said. Seeing his look of disbelief, she knew she was going to have to explain. “He blames himself, for not being there. He knows you blame yourself and he hurts because he can’t take your pain away and tell you it’s not your fault, it’s his.”

“How in the hell is it his fault?” Percy said, his voice rising in anger. “Merlin, is that what he thinks? He is to blame?” Percy’s head dropped, but not before Hermione saw the tears in his eyes.

Reaching out a hand, she grabbed his hand in hers. She waited until he looked at her. “I will tell you the same thing I told George, it is not any of our fault. Not yours, not George’s, not mine, Harry’s or Ron’s. The only one to blame is Voldemort. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go help your mum.” She didn’t wait for a response. She dropped his hand and rushed into the house.

Though she was going to help Mrs Weasley, she first needed to help herself. She went directly to Ginny’s room without acknowledging anyone. Opening the door, she was grateful the room was empty.

Hermione went directly to her small bag, opened it and summoned the pain relieving potion she had put in there. She took the prescribed amount of the Poenaserum, and then at a sharp pain through her head, she took a bit more. She put the bottle on the nightstand and lay down on the bed, closing her eyes with a sigh.

***

Hermione’s entrance and quick exit up the stairs did not go unnoticed by anyone. The fact she had followed George outside and then Percy followed her and only she returned was not lost on them either.

When the door opened and Percy came back in, Molly knew from the look on his face he had spoken to Hermione and was still upset.

Percy walked over and sat at the table. He looked at Harry and said, “Tell me the long version of just what in the name of Merlin is going on. Hermione gave me the short version about her parents and yours. I want to know what she was talking about. How was this possible?”

“Percy, dear, did you see George outside?” Molly asked.

“No, Mum. I think he and Hermione may have had words because she came back alone. I didn’t see him anywhere. Though Hermione did say he had something to do and would be right back. ”

“Words? That doesn’t seem right. What could they have had words about?” Molly asked looking around the table. Everyone shrugged their shoulders.

Harry began telling Percy the whole story. Amid numerous questions, and with help from Ron and Ginny, all Percy’s questions were answered.

“I can see why she didn’t want to explain everything. I am having a hard time grasping the complexity of everything myself,” Percy said. “So, that is why you have been staying here, Ron, because Hermione broke up with you.”

“Yeah,” mumbled Ron standing. “Mum, I am going to go for a walk. I’ll keep an eye out for George while I am out there.” He didn’t wait for an answer, he just walked out of the house, head bent and shoulders slumped.

Bill watched him go. He knew his brother’s heart was breaking. Deciding to go after him and see if he wanted to talk, he stood. “Mum, I am going go talk to Ron. I think he needs someone who isn’t directly involved in all this to talk to.” Bending he kissed Fleur lightly on the lips and followed Ron out the door.

“Well, since we are having a party here in a few hours, we had all better get to work,” Molly said and she started giving out instructions. Soon, everyone was busy.

***

Seven years, Ron thought, It took seven years for them to finally get together and in the span of an hour, for the end to begin.

Ron walked towards the meadow behind the Burrow thinking about the reasons he was staying here and not at number twelve, Grimmauld Place. He had agreed with Hermione’s decision for them to break-up.

Now, seeing her again, he wondered if he had given in too easily. He loved her more than he ever thought possible. The kind of love that kept his parents together through good times and bad, raising seven children and losing one of them.

He thought he had that with Hermione, that love that would last forever. He still thought that even if she doubted him and herself. He only hoped she would realise this before much more time had gone by.

“Ron!” yelled a voice from behind him. “Wait up; I want to talk to you.”

Ron turned to see Bill coming up the small hill. Ron figured he was about to have to listen to a lecture about walking out on the preparations for Fleur’s birthday party.

“What’s up?” Ron asked as he began walking again.

“I thought maybe you might want to talk about what is really going on with you and Hermione,” Bill said to him as he draped his arm around Ron’s shoulder.

“Nothing is going on, that’s what’s going on,” Ron said sadly. “Bill, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, anything,” Bill said.

“Did I do the right thing? When Hermione told me she was breaking up with me, did I do the right thing by letting her go?”

Bill looked at his baby brother. He knew Ron was asking more than the simple question. He was wondering if he had thrown his shot at happiness out the window.

“Ron, the simple answer is yes, you did the right thing under the circumstances,” Bill said. “I am very proud of you and your decision shows how much you have grown up this past year.”

“But what if she decides she doesn’t want me back? What if she decides I gave up too easily and…” Ron said, letting his thoughts trail off.

“What if the sun comes crashing down tomorrow? What if Fleur realises she hates it here? What if… what if…” Bill stopped walking and stood in front of Ron. “Ron, we cannot live our lives with the what ifs. They will drive you crazy if you try. You did what was right under tough circumstances. You did the grown-up thing and let her go.”

Ron looked at his brother. He knew deep down Bill was right. He started walking back to the Burrow.

“Growing up sucks,” he said simply.

“That it does, little brother, that it does,” Bill said and began laughing. Ron soon joined him.

As Bill and Ron got closer to the house, they could see the door to the shed was open. They watched as George came out and closed the door.

“George,” called Ron, “Mum is looking for you.”

George jumped and spun around upon hearing Ron’s voice. He had a very guilty look on his face.

“Bill, Ron, what are you doing out here?” he asked moving quickly away from the shed.

“Just talking,” said Bill. “What are you doing? Or should I ask, what are you planning?” Bill smiled at his brother. It didn’t matter what George was planning, the fact he was planning anything was a good sign.

“Um, nothing,” said George. “I just...” He looked back at the shed. “Do you know where Hermione is? I think I owe her an apology.”

“She went up to her room a little while ago. Came in and didn’t say anything to anyone, just went upstairs,” answered Bill.

George nodded and began walking towards the house. Ron stared after him and then looked at Bill.

“You don’t think...” He let his voice trail off. He couldn’t even voice the thoughts running through his head.

“That there is something going on between Hermione and George?” Bill asked. At Ron’s nod, he continued, “No. I just think both of them are feeling lost right now and leaning on each other for understanding.” Bill smiled at Ron’s confused look.

“Hermione doesn’t know who she is anymore and I am guessing, neither does George. It is only natural they would turn to each other because of what they are feeling. But, I think it is only friendship. She loves you, Ron. It may just take her a little while to realise it.” Bill put a hand on Ron’s shoulder and squeezed.

“Come on, we better get back inside. Mum will have our heads if we don’t help,” Bill said.

“Yeah, she was positively mental before your wedding,” said Ron chuckling as he began to walk with Bill back to the house.

*****

George waved at his mum as he walked past the kitchen and up the stairs. He needed to talk to Hermione. He wanted to tell her she was, as usual, right. He had been feeling sorry for himself and it was time to honour Fred instead of mourning him.

He knocked softly on the door as he opened it. Hermione was laying on the bed sound asleep. He walked over and looked down at her.

“Hermione?” he called softly. She didn’t even stir. “Hermione,” he said a bit louder and reached out to shake her shoulder. She still didn’t stir. George sat down on the bed and tried again.

When she still didn’t respond, he began to get worried. He could tell she was breathing, though to him, it seemed too soft. He looked around and spotted the bottle on the nightstand. He grabbed in and looked at the label.

‘Miss Carole’s Poenaserum,’ it read. He read the next line, ‘Good for any pain you may have.’ George looked back at Hermione. The dosage instructions were given and below them, a warning against taking more than the prescribed amount.

As he read the warnings and what could happen, he got more scared. She wasn’t responding to him. Her breathing was shallow. He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her. She didn’t respond.

“MUM!” George bellowed. “Come quick!” He heard the rush of footfalls on the stairs as he stood. He shoved the bottle in his pocket and scooped Hermione up in his arms. As his mum followed closely by everyone else came in the room, he looked frantically at them.

“I think she took too much Poenaserum. I’m taking her to St Mungo’s.” He didn’t wait for a response from anyone; he turned on the spot and Disapparated.
To Save a Life by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish again to thank my wonderful beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Thank you for your quick work and thoughtful comments.

Everything you recognize in this story belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
George reappeared in the middle of the reception area at St. Mungo’s. He strode quickly to the desk. A quick glance down at Hermione confirmed she was still unconscious in his arms.

“I need help. She needs help. I think she took too much of...of a pain potion,” he said. His words were rushed and each one was laced with panic.

“Do you know what potion she took?” asked the Welcome Witch.

“Yes, I brought the bottle, but it is in my pocket. Listen, she needs to see a Healer now,” he demanded.

“Yes, yes,” she said condescending. “Take her to the third floor; they can help you up there.” She picked up a magazine and began to read it.

George turned and rushed to the elevator. Once inside he jammed a finger on the button marked three and wondered briefly why they didn’t hire a more competent person to man the front desk. As the door began to open, George pushed through them. He approached the desk and started talking before the witch standing there could say anything.

“She needs help. She took too much of a pain potion, which before you even ask, I have in my pocket.”

“Bring her in here,” said the witch as she rushed to open a door to a room a few feet down the hall. “Place her on the bed. I will summon the Healer-in-Charge immediately.” She turned and rushed off even before George laid Hermione on the bed.

As George reached into his pocket and pulled out the small potion bottle, an older wizard came through the door.

“I am Ignatius Derwent,” the Healer said as he approached George. Reaching his hand out, he shook George’s hand. “Is that the potion she took?” he asked calmly. At George’s nod, he continued, “Do you know how much she took?”

George shook his head. “No, I can tell you it was at most an hour ago she took it.”

“Hmm,” the Healer said. He turned and, as George watched, began to examine Hermione. “Do you know when this was purchased?”

“No, perhaps Harry or Ron may know,” said George. “I would imagine they are downstairs by now.”

The words were no sooner out of George’s mouth when the door swung open and Harry, Ron and Mrs Weasley rushed through the door.

“Is she...” Ron’s voice trailed off.

“Do any of you know when this potion was purchased?” the Healer asked. He didn’t pause nor look up from his examination.

“Not really,” said Ron. “I mean we haven’t exactly been to Diagon Alley recently.”

“So, this wasn’t bought within the last six months?” asked Ignatius.

“No, I don’t think so,” said Harry. “Is that important?” George could hear the fear in his voice.

“Yes. This type potion gains strength the longer it sits. Do you know if anyone in her family has had a bad reaction to this potion?”

Each of them shook their head. George was getting more scared with each question the Healer asked. He kept reminding himself that Hermione was a very bright witch who would have known the potion gained potency over time. She wouldn’t have taken more than the prescribed amount and if she had had the potion for a while, she would have taken less of it.

“Wait,” said Harry suddenly. “After my arm was broken second year, Madam Pomfrey told me she couldn’t give me any of that potion because my dad had a bad reaction to it in his sixth year.”

“That is all well and good, young man, but what does that have to do with her?” the Healer asked impatiently.

“She’s my sister,” said Harry. At the Healer’s startled look, Harry continued, “We would appreciate it if you didn’t tell anyone she is my sister. We only just found out and don’t want anyone to know.”

“Of course, Mr Potter, of course,” said Ignatius. “I will go and brew the proper antidote to this potion.” As he walked past Harry, he patted him on the shoulder. “I will take good care of your sister,” he said to him.

George sat down on the bed next to Hermione. He knew Ron wouldn’t be happy but there was something he needed to say to her. He leaned down close to her and whispered to her.

“Hermione, I know you can hear me. I am sorry if I upset you earlier. You were right. You are always right. Come on, Hermione, you need to wake up. We have to go on our adventure. We have to go and get your parents.” George straightened up. He looked at Ron and knew his brother was as angry as he was scared.

“Ron, I just wanted to apologise to her. She gave me a piece of her mind earlier and I just had to tell her, as usual, she was right.” As the door opened and Healer Ignatius Derwent walked in, George stood and moved back closer to his mother. Molly wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him close to her.

Healer Derwent gave Hermione a few drops of the potion he had brought in with him. Standing, he laid a hand on her chest and studied her intently. When there were no visible signs of change, he repeated the process. He didn’t speak until after the fourth dosage.

“I have given her as much of the antidote as I dare for now. I am afraid now we will just have to wait and see. From what I have read about her, I know she was raised as a Muggle. I think it may be a good idea for her parents to be brought in.” He looked at them.

“Her parents are still in Australia, on...vacation,” said Ron. “It would take hours to go and get them and then to get them here.”

George looked down at Hermione then at his mother. “I know where they are,” he said. “I will go and get them.”

“But George, she performed a Memory Charm on them, they don’t even remember her,” said Molly.

“I know, Mum.” He leaned down and kissed his mother on the cheek. He pulled out of her loose embrace and went over to lean over Hermione. “I guess I am taking this trip solo. Just hang on, Hermione. I will have your parents back here as quick as I can.”

“George, how are you going to get there?” asked Molly.

“I am going to talk to Kingsley. I’m sure he will help me. If anyone can cut through the red tape to set up the International Floo connections I need, he can.” George headed towards the door. “I’ll be back as quick as I can.”

“I am sorry,” said Molly, “I didn’t catch your name.”

“I am Ignatius Derwent,” said the Healer, holding out his hand to Molly.

“Derwent?” she asked. “Are you related to Dilys?”

“Yes, she was my great-great-grandmother,” he answered smiling. “I take it until her parents arrive, you will be acting as a surrogate mother?”

Molly nodded. “However, if you need a relative to make any...any decisions, then that will have to be done by Harry,” she told him.

As they spoke, Harry and Ron approached the bed. Without speaking, they each sat down next to her, one on each side. They each took one of her hands before they looked at each other.

“Reminds me of-” began Ron.

“-of when she was Petrified,” finished Harry with a half smile. “Madam Pomfrey took care of her then. She was okay, she’ll be okay this time,” said Harry. Ron just nodded and looked back down at Hermione.

“I will be close by if there is any change,” said Ignatius. “If there is let the nurse know immediately.” He gave a reassuring smile and left the room.

Molly moved closer to the bed and looked down at Hermione. What was that girl thinking? Taking too much of a potion...had to be a mistake. she thought. Though Molly thought it had to be a mistake, deep down, she worried it wasn’t. No, Hermione wouldn’t do something like that, she reassured herself.

“I am going to go find a Floo connection I can use to let everyone know what is going on. I doubt-” her words were cut off by the door opening. In rushed Bill, Fleur and Ginny.

“Mum,” said Ginny as she rushed over to her mother, “what is going on? Will Hermione be okay?”

Molly took a deep breath; she knew it was going to be as hard for them to hear as it was going to be to say. “We don’t know. She isn’t responding to the antidote. We don’t know when she bought the potion or how much she actually took. Harry remembered Madam Pomfrey told him his dad had a bad reaction to this potion. Where’s Percy?”

“He went to tell Dad what happened. Where’s George?” Bill asked, looking around the room.

“He went to get Hermione’s parents from Australia, the Healer thinks they should be here,” she answered. At this news, Ginny gasped. Molly watched as she rushed over to the bed and sat next to Harry.

Suddenly, Harry stood up. “Madam Pomfrey!” he exclaimed. At everyone’s confused looks, he explained, “She treated my dad. She’ll know what to do to help Hermione.”

“Do you think she is at the school?” asked Ron.

“Yes, I’m sure she is,” said Harry. “If she’s not, then Professor McGonagall will know where she is.” He started walking towards the door.

Bill reached out to stop Harry. “Let me go. You should be here with your sister. What potion did she take?” he asked.

Ron reached over and picked the bottle up and held it out to Bill. Bill moved closer to Ron to take it and read the label.

Poenaserum, I’ve heard of this. It is pretty strong stuff,” he said. “I’ll be back as quick as I can.” He kissed his mum on the cheek, before hugging and kissing Fleur goodbye.

Watching Bill leave, Harry felt better. He knew Madam Pomfrey would know what to do. Harry went back over and sat down on the bed. As he looked down at Hermione, he hoped Bill and George would get back quickly.

*****
Bill rushed through the doors of Hogwarts castle. He quickly went up the stairs headed towards the Hospital Wing. In his haste, he didn’t see Professor McGonagall coming down the staircase until he ran into her. He instinctively reached out to steady her and keep her from falling.

“Bill, what are you doing here? Has something happened?” she asked.

“Yes, Professor. It’s Hermione; she accidentally took too much Poenaserum. I’ve come to get Madam Pomfrey,” he explained quickly. He walked around Professor McGonagall and continued up the stairs.

“Poppy? But surely she should have been taken to St. Mungo’s,” she exclaimed as she followed behind him.

“She is in St Mungo’s,” he answered. “The Healer gave her the antidote, but she...but she...” Bill took a deep breath. “She isn’t responding to it. Harry remembered Madam Pomfrey telling him his dad had a bad reaction to the potion. He thinks Madam Pomfrey can help Hermione. He thinks that may be why the antidote isn’t working.”

“Of course, of course,” said McGonagall thoughtfully, “we almost lost James.” She reached out and stopped Bill before he could turn towards the Hospital wing. “Poppy isn’t in her office. Come to my office and I will locate her for you. It is probably better to tell her this there anyway,” she said quietly.

As they rushed to the Headmistress’ office, Bill noticed for the first time the castle seemed to be restored back to its former glory. He wasn’t surprised that the stone gargoyle guarding the final set of stairs to the office was repaired. He followed Professor McGonagall up the winding staircase after she gave the gargoyle the password.

Entering the office, Professor McGonagall went directly to the fireplace. Taking a small handful of Floo Powder, she threw it in the fire and called Madam Pomfrey to her office. Turning she walked over and stood in front of the portrait of Albus Dumbledore.

“Albus, Hermione is gravely ill from Poenaserum. We have to tell Poppy of the connection to James,” she told him.

Bill saw Professor Dumbledore nod. “I understand. She will, of course, be confused as to how. I have no doubt she will know what I did,” he said gravely.

At that moment, the door opened and Madam Pomfrey rushed through it. “Minerva, what is wrong?” she asked.

“Poppy, Hermione is in St Mungo’s. She has taken Poenaserum and is not responding to the antidote,” McGonagall told her. “Bill has come to get you and take you to her.”

“She’s not responding to the antidote?” she asked confused. “I don’t understand.”

“Hermione is-”

“Hermione is Harry’s sister,” Bill said cutting across Professor McGonagall. “Harry remembered you said his dad had a bad reaction to it. He sent me to get you to help her.”

“That isn’t possible,” Madam Pomfrey argued. “I treated Lily Potter when she was pregnant. I can assure you, Harry doesn’t have a sister.”

“My dear Poppy,” said Dumbledore. “I am afraid your memory is not what it should be. I am, of course, responsible for this. Hermione is in fact, Harry’s twin sister. However, we do not have the time for explanations. I will explain everything when you return. You must but trust me for now, and go and take care of Miss Granger.”

Madam Pomfrey looked as if she wanted to argue, to demand answers but she looked again at Bill and saw the panic and fear in his face. “I will be but a few moments while I gather what I need from my office.” She turned and went to the fireplace. Using the Floo Powder, she went to her office.

“Bill, I must ask,” began Professor McGonagall, “you said she took too much of the potion. Was this an accident?”

Bill nodded. “Yes, I believe it was. Overall, I would say she is coping with all of this as well as can be expected. We don’t see much of her or Harry, but they seem closer than ever. I only wish I could say the same of her and Ron,” he said quietly, almost to himself.

The fireplace flared green and Madam Pomfrey stepped out carrying a small bag. “Let’s get going,” she said to Bill. “I will let you know as soon as I can,” she told Professor McGonagall as she headed toward the door.

“Poppy, wait,” called Professor McGonagall. She walked over to the fireplace and waved her wand several times. “Use the Floo back to St Mungo’s. I lifted the security for this one time.”

Madam Pomfrey and Bill walked quickly over to the fireplace. Both took some of the Floo Powder and stepped into the fireplace.

As the green flames died away, Professor Dumbledore said, “I do hope this was an accident.”

“I’m sure it was,” answered Professor McGonagall, still looking at the fireplace. “I’m sure it was.”
A Daughter's Confession by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish again to thank my wonderful beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). More chapters will be coming your way soon.

Everything you recognize in this story belongs to J. K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world.
As Bill and Madam Pomfrey walked in the room, Bill knew something was very wrong. Ginny was crying in his mother’s arms; Harry and Ron both were lying on the bed next to Hermione, tears running down both faces.

“What’s wrong?” he asked as he rushed to the bed. He could see Hermione was still breathing and some of the weight lifted from his chest.

“Bill, the Healer just told us...there is nothing more he can do,” Molly said. “She is getting worse and may not make it.”

“Nonsense,” said Madam Pomfrey, striding purposely to the bed. “You two, move out of the way,” she commanded. Harry and Ron both got up off the bed quickly. Madam Pomfrey looked at Harry and then shaking her head slightly, opened her bag.

They all watched as she pulled several small vials out of her bag. She went to work putting drops of each in an empty vial. She mixed the ingredients carefully. She turned to Hermione and sat on the edge of the bed. She carefully placed a few drops in Hermione’s mouth. She waited a minute and repeated the process.

The door opened and Healer Derwent came in. “Just what do you think you are doing?” he said as he rushed to the bed. “Who do you think you are?”

“Oh, get off that high horse, Iggy. I am treating one of my students since you obviously can’t tell the difference between an overdose of a potion and an allergic reaction to one,” Madam Pomfrey said. She continued to put drops of her potion in Hermione’s mouth, slowly and precisely.

“Poppy? An allergic reaction? How do you know?” he asked quickly.

“Because her father had the same reaction when he was in school,” she said. “Now, go and fetch me a pitcher of cold water. She is going to be very thirsty when she wakes up. She will need to drink lots of water over the next couple hours to flush the potion from her system completely.”

Healer Derwent sputtered a bit, but left the room. As he opened the door to leave, George rushed in followed by the Grangers.

George looked at Madam Pomfrey sitting next to Hermione and looked at his family for an explanation.

“Harry remembered his father had an allergic reaction to the potion Hermione took. He thought maybe that may be what happened to Hermione,” Molly explained. She turned to the Grangers. “Hermione will be okay. I am sorry you had to come home to this.”

The Grangers looked at Molly before rushing over to Hermione. Mr Granger put his arm around his wife as they looked down at their daughter. Neither spoke as they watched Hermione being treated by Madam Pomfrey.

“George, dear, how did you get back so fast?” asked Molly.

“Well, I went to Kingsley and explained what was going on. I asked him to set up the emergency Floo connections I needed. He told me it would take too long to go by the Floo network. He contacted his colleagues at other Ministries and they set up Portkeys for me to use. I only had to take three different ones. It cut the time down and I found the Grangers right where Hermione said they should be.” George glanced over at Hermione.

“I reversed the Memory Charm and explained to them what had happened. I don’t think they liked travelling by Portkey,” he said chuckling.

They all froze and looked at the bed when Hermione choked on the drops of potion Madam Pomfrey had just given her. They watched as she opened her eyes and looked first at Madam Pomfrey, then at her parents and lastly everyone else.

“Mum? Dad? What is going on?” she asked. When no one immediately answered, she looked directly at Harry. “Harry?”

“Hermione,” he said as he approached the bed, “you had a bad reaction to the pain potion you took.” He sat down on in the spot Madam Pomfrey had just vacated.

“Miss...” Madam Pomfrey hesitated. At the stern look from Harry and the slight shake of his head, she continued, “Hermione, your reaction was similar to the reaction Harry’s father had when he was in school. Harry remembered the story I had told him and Bill came and got me. It is a good thing he did as you may not have lived otherwise.”

This revelation had Mrs Granger gasping. She sat down on the bed and pulled Hermione into her arms. “Oh, Hermione,” she sobbed, “I don't understand any of this.”

“I’m sorry, Mum,” Hermione said as she held on to her mother. She looked up at her father. “Dad?”

Mr Granger looked away from his daughter and at the Weasleys. “I am very grateful to you for taking care of our daughter, and for coming to get us. If you could please give us a few minutes alone with her?” he asked.

Molly nodded. “Of course,” she answered. “Come along, children. We will go upstairs and have a cup of tea.” She went over to the bed and smiled down at Hermione. “We will be up in the Tea Room; take all the time you need.” She leaned down and awkwardly hugged Hermione as Mrs Granger still had her arms around her daughter.

Harry looked at Hermione questioningly. Hermione gave a small shake of her head. Harry nodded and gave her an encouraging smile. He patted her shoulder and said, “Whatever you want to do.” With that, they all left Hermione and her parents alone.

As the door closed behind them, Hermione pulled out of her mother’s arms. “I guess you are pretty mad at me,” she said in a small voice.

“Yes,” answered her mother. "Why did you do this to us?"

Hermione drew a deep breath and then began her story. She explained exactly what she did and why. Every once in a while, Mrs Granger would ask a question, however, Mr Granger never spoke a word. He just stood next to the bed and looked down at Hermione.

“I don’t understand why if this has been over since May, you didn’t come for us sooner,” said Mrs Granger.

Hermione knew this was the perfect opportunity to tell her parents the truth, but could she do it? Should she tell them? She knew she should, she had made her mind up to tell them when she decided to go and get them from Australia. However, now faced with telling them the truth, she didn’t know how to begin.

“At first, it wasn’t safe. There were still Death Eaters who weren’t caught. Then...then...” she hesitated unsure of how to begin. “Mum, Dad, I found something out about a month ago, something that will be hard for you to hear, but I have to tell you.

“I got an owl from Professor McGonagall asking me to come up to Hogwarts before I came to get you,” she said. “Harry and Ron went with me. When we got there, Professor McGonagall told us that Professor Dumbledore needed to tell me something.”

“But, dear, Professor Dumbledore is dead,” said her mother gently.

“Yes, his portrait hangs in the Headmistress’ office. Wizarding portraits can talk,” Hermione told her parents. “He told me...he said...” Hermione started crying.

Mrs Granger once again pulled Hermione into an embrace. She rubbed her back and whispered soothing words in her ear. “There, there, dear. It can’t be that bad. Just tell us what is wrong,” she encouraged.

“Mum, do you remember being pregnant with me?” Hermione asked as she pulled out of her mother’s embrace.

“Yes,” her mother said immediately.

“No,” said her father at the same time. It was the first word he had spoken.

Hermione looked at her father. She knew instantly her father knew, he knew she was not his daughter. “You know, don’t you?” Hermione asked him.

“That you are not our daughter? Yes, I know,” he said. “Oh, I remember the lie of you being ours. I remember all the years of you being our daughter, but I also remember that you aren’t.”

“What do you mean, she isn’t our daughter, of course she is,” said Mrs Granger angrily.

“No, Mum, I’m not,” Hermione said as she took her mother’s hand in hers. “Professor Dumbledore took me from my birth parents when I was minutes old and brought me to you. He performed some Memory Charms and planted the memory of me being your daughter.” She looked up at her father.

“That isn’t possible,” argued her mother. “I remember giving birth to you.”

“Yes, you do. But, what you remember is what Professor Dumbledore wanted you to remember,” Hermione told her.

“Why? Why would he do such a thing?” Mrs Granger asked.

“He did it to keep me safe. My birth parents were the Potters. I am Harry’s twin sister,” she said quietly.

Mrs Granger stood quickly. “I want to talk to this man. How could he tell you such lies?”

Mr Granger reached out and pulled his wife into his arms. “It is the truth. If you want to talk to him, then we will,” he said. He looked at Hermione who just nodded. “As soon as Hermione is up to it, we will go and talk to him.”

He looked down at Hermione. Letting go of his wife, he moved over to the bed. He reached out and brushed the tears from her face. “It doesn’t matter,” he said. “You will always be my little girl.”

At his words, Hermione began to cry in earnest. Both of her parents sat down on the bed and the three of them held on to each other.

The sight of the three embracing was what Harry saw when he walked back in the room. He had used the excuse of finding a bathroom to escape the Tearoom. He knew Hermione would tell her parents the truth and he didn’t want her facing the outcome alone.

As Harry approached the bed, Hermione looked up. She gave a slight nod of her head. The Grangers both looked at him. After a few moments, Mrs Granger stood and went over to him. Hesitantly, she drew him into her embrace.

“Even though you aren’t our son, I hope you will understand if we consider you part of our family now,” she said to him. “I’m still not sure I believe this, but if it is true, it only changes one thing. Hermione is our daughter and if you are her brother, then I guess you are part of our family.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. He looked at Hermione who had tears running down her face. He gave Mrs Granger a small smile before asking Hermione, “Is there anything you want?”

“Now that you mention it, I am really thirsty,” Hermione said.

Harry went over to the small table at the end of the bed and poured her a glass of water. “Madam Pomfrey said you would be thirsty. She also said you should drink lots of water.” He handed her the glass.

Everyone looked at the door when it opened a moment later. Madam Pomfrey came in followed closely by Healer Derwent, who was carrying a pitcher of water. “I need to examine Miss Granger. If everyone would please leave us alone for a few minutes,” she said as she approached the bed.

“Mr Granger, Mrs Granger, would you like to go upstairs for a cup of tea?” Harry asked politely. Both nodded. After hugging Hermione, they followed behind Harry out of the room.
A New Start by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank my wonderful and patient beta, Lexi (Harry_Rulz). Lexi has stuck with me through many times of my muse running off.

I do not own anything you recognize in this story. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to escape to her world for a little while.
Hermione was released from St Mungo’s two days later. During the time she spent in the hospital, the Grangers stayed at Grimmauld Place, at Harry’s insistence. Ron and Ginny also stayed there, to which Harry was grateful. He felt slightly uncomfortable, and for some strange reason guilty, over Hermione being his sister.

Everyone, including all the Weasleys, was sitting at the kitchen table when Harry and the Grangers brought Hermione home. Mrs Weasley rushed over to her and drew her into a bone crushing hug.

“Welcome home, dear,” she said as she loosened her grip slightly. “Come and sit down, dinner will be ready shortly. I’m sure you are in need of some real food after the hospital food.” She pulled Hermione over and sat her down next to Ron.

The Grangers followed behind her and sat next to her. Harry took the empty seat next to Ginny, across from Ron. Ginny picked up the envelope that was on the table in front of her. She reached over the table to hand it to Hermione.

“Your Hogwarts letter,” she said smiling. “I’m glad you are going to come back, though that means you will be sharing a dorm with me.”

Hermione opened the envelope and took out the letter. The first part of the first page was the normal instructions on when the train would leave from King’s Cross station, but the last paragraph explained that because of students who missed the previous year returning this year, the dorms may be a bit more crowded. It also instructed her to send an owl back if she did, in fact, intend to return to school.

“I will let Professor McGonagall know I will be coming back to school when I am there tomorrow,” said Hermione as she put the letter back in the envelope.

“You’re going to Hogwarts tomorrow?” asked Ron.

Hermione nodded without looking at him. “Yes, my...parents would like to speak to Professor Dumbledore,” she said. Though the pause before she said parents was only a fraction of a second longer than normal, pain crossed through Mrs Granger’s eyes at Hermione’s hesitation.

“I suppose Harry is going with you?” asked Ron, his voice held bitterness.

Hermione turned her head towards him, surprise over the bitterness evident on her face. “Yes,” she answered hesitantly. “But, I was going to ask you if you wanted to go with us,” she said.

Ron’s face showed his surprise at being included. “Yeah,” he answered quickly. “I would like to go with you.” He smiled tentatively at Hermione who returned the smile.

Hermione had plenty of time to think over the past couple days. She had also had a few long conversations with George who had come to the hospital to see her after everyone had left. They had talked about how each of them was feeling unsure of whom they each were and they had talked about what they were going to do now.

George told Hermione how he wasn’t sure he could face running the store without Fred and Hermione countered with how he would feel if Fred closed the shop had he died. Hermione said how she loved Ron, but she wasn’t the same person now, and George countered that just because different blood ran through her veins didn’t make her a different person.

Back and forth the debates raged often far into the night. By this morning, it had been decided that George would be opening the shop tomorrow, and Hermione was going to give Ron a chance.

During dinner, Hermione caught George’s eye and nodded encouragingly to him. George cleared his throat and everyone turned to look at him.

“Mum, Dad, I am going to be moving back over the shop today. I’m going to...” He looked at Hermione who smiled at him. “I’m going to be opening the shop back up again tomorrow,” he said in a rush.

“Oh, Georgie,” Molly exclaimed, standing quickly she rushed over to draw George into a hug. “Perhaps you should stay home a bit longer; you can use the Floo Network to get to the shop.”

“No, Mum,” said George gently. “I need to do this. I have to do this now.”

“George-”

“Molly,” Arthur interrupted her, “let the boy be. George, anything you need, and your room will always be there for you.”

George nodded gratefully to his father. “I know,” he said simply.

After that, the conversation around the table resumed. Plans were made for Hermione, the Grangers, Harry and Ron to leave first thing in the morning for Hogwarts. Though the Grangers weren’t sure about Apparating, Hermione and Harry convinced them, while slightly uncomfortable, it would be the easiest way to get there.

As dinner was finishing, Hermione turned to Ron and smiled at him. She leaned close to him and said, “Ron, will you...I mean could you...” Hermione struggled for the right words. She wanted him to stay at Grimmauld Place tonight, but she didn’t know how to ask him without him taking it the wrong way.

“Will I what, Hermione?” he asked, his voice slightly colder than it used to be before all of this happened.

“Will you stay here tonight?” she asked. “I mean, we are leaving early and all.” She knew she was messing this up. “And, I would like to talk to you about...us,” she added quickly.

Ron just nodded and after looking at her for a few seconds more, turned away to talk to Harry about something that happened at work a few days ago.

*****

Hermione sat on the bed in her room at Grimmauld Place and waited for Ron to come up. She had asked him to join her in her room before she came upstairs. She had no idea what she was going to say to him and she suspected he was not going to make this easy on her.

“Come in,” she called when someone knocked on the door. “Hi, Ron,” she said to him as he came through the door.

Ron didn’t reply at first. He came in, shut the door, and looked over at her. “You wanted to talk to me?” he asked, his voice cold.

No, she mentally groaned, he is not going to make this easy. “Ron, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking-”

“And talking to George,” Ron said bitterly.

“Well, yes,” she said hesitantly. “I’ve been thinking about us... Oh, Ron, will you please just sit down instead of pacing around the room?”

“Sit down? Why should I sit down? Will that make it easier for you to tell me it is over? Will that make it easier for you to tell me you don’t want to try to make our relationship work? No, I think I would rather be on my feet for this.” Hermione heard the anger and bitterness but she also heard the hurt and pain in his words.

“Ron, please. I...I...” Hermione took a deep breath before continuing, “I want to talk about us getting back together.” Her words came out quickly and it took Ron a few moments for their meaning to sink in. When they did, he stopped in his tracks and looked at her, hope in his eyes.

“Do you mean that?” he asked cautiously.

Hermione nodded. Ron walked over to the bed and dropped down beside her. He drew her into his arms and just held her. Both of them were too overwhelmed with emotion to speak.

Slowly, Ron pulled back from Hermione. He looked down at her and smiled. “So, what made you finally see reason?”

Hermione hesitated before answering. “George,” she said but then seeing the look on Ron’s face, rushed to explain. “We spent a lot of time talking about how we both were different people than we were a few months ago. But, deep down, we made each other see we were still the same. I know that doesn’t make sense to you. I don’t know how to explain it better.” Hermione shrugged.

She knew Ron had been worried about her becoming so close to George, but she couldn’t put aside what George had come to mean to her for Ron, or for anyone.

“It doesn’t matter. I know you and George have become close. I can’t deny you have been able to get through to him when none of us could. I should thank you for giving me back my brother. And I guess I should thank him for giving me back you.” Ron smiled.

He reached out to stroke the side of her face, and then leaned down to kiss her. Though the kiss started gentle, it soon became more, leaving both of them gasping for air.

“I should go,” said Ron. “You have a big day tomorrow.”

“We have a big day tomorrow. But, could you stay, just a bit longer?” she asked.

Ron smiled and nodded. He adjusted himself so he was half sitting, half lying on the bed next to her and drew her into his arms. As she settled in, resting her head on his chest, Ron gave a sigh of relief and contentment. It didn’t take long for both of them to fall asleep just as they were.
End Notes:
Thanks to all my readers who keep sticking by me even through the long waits between chapters.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=78664