Seen In a Different Light by TCole
Summary: Hermione and Ron are having relationship trouble. The two of them take a trip to Diagon Alley in order to see Harry, but this leads to Hermione getting frustrated with the two, and so she goes to the bookstore.

What happens before she enters the store will shock not only her, but everyone she holds close to her heart. One drink in the Leaky Cauldron will end up changing her life forever, but . . . is it for the better or the worse?

This story is dedicated to Sammy because I love her to death, and I know she loves Dramiones. She has been the one that I have bounced ideas off of throughout writing this entire story, and without her, I probably wouldn't have ever finished it! *hugs* I love you Sammy!
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 9739 Read: 27950 Published: 08/02/08 Updated: 03/25/09
Story Notes:
I just want to say thank you a million times to: Laura (bookofsecrets), Terri (mudbloodproud), and Sammy (MissyQuill) for betaing this story for me. You guys are amazing. *hugs*

1. Anger and Frustration by TCole

2. The Start of Changes by TCole

3. New Beginnings by TCole

4. The First Kiss by TCole

5. Confusion by TCole

6. The First Meeting by TCole

Anger and Frustration by TCole
Author's Notes:
Just went to say thank you once again to my amazing betas. =D
Hermione lay in bed thinking of the past few years of her life. Where she was at the present moment wasn’t what she had planned when she was younger, fresh out of Hogwarts. By the age of twenty-six, she had hoped to be married (preferably to Ron), with kids, and a nice home, but . . . life just didn’t turn out that way for her. Yes, she was married but not to Ron; nor was she married to anyone of whom Harry or Ron would approve of. She had not expected this to happen; it’s just how things turned out.

Once the trio had defeated Voldemort, they all seemed to go their separate ways. Harry began to work at becoming an Auror, and Ron went off to secure a job in the Ministry with his father. Of course, she still talked to them whenever she saw them, but that wasn’t often. The two were still on non-speaking terms with her after what had happened five years ago.


~*~


It was a beautiful summer’s day, and Hermione was in the kitchen at the Burrow putting a pot of water on to boil. She practically had to force Mrs. Weasley to allow her to do it for herself, and, in the end, she had won the battle. She enjoyed making tea the Muggle way even though it took longer than when one used magic.

“Hermione, are you sure you don’t want me to do that for you? It’s no problem, really,” Mrs. Weasley said from the table. She had her hands placed on the table in a way that Hermione realised made it easier for her to get up before Hermione could answer.

“No, no, Mrs. Weasley, I can do it. I really like making tea the Muggle way.” Hermione smiled and turned to the stove once more. She waited for the kettle to whistle, signaling that the water was ready to be poured. Once it did, she took two small teacups from the cabinet and placed them on the countertop.

Footsteps echoed down the hallway, and Hermione turned to see who was standing in the doorway.

“Hello, Mum,” Ron said as he pulled out a chair across from Mrs. Weasley. “Hey, Hermione, could I get a cup of that?”

Hermione nodded and reached for another cup, placing it next to her own and Mrs. Weasley’s. She slowly poured the hot water into each cup, placed a teabag in each one, and carried two of them over to the table before going back to get her own. She sat down next to Ron and reached for the bowl of sugar.

“What are your plans for today?” Mrs. Weasley asked, taking a sip from her cup. She smiled warmly at the pair and patiently waited for one of them to answer.

“To be honest, I have no idea. I think Harry is supposed to be meeting us in Diagon Alley soon,” Ron answered.

“Yes, he is,” Hermione replied. She looked up at the clock on the wall and noticed that it was half past twelve. She knew that Harry was to be at Diagon Alley at one o’clock. She quickly drank the rest of her tea, burning her mouth in the process, and got up from the table. “In fact, we should leave now just so we’re there before Harry arrives.”

Ron nodded and got up to put his cup in the sink. He walked over to his mother and to deposit a kiss on her cheek.

“We’ll be home a little later. Harry might come by, too, to see you.”

Mrs. Weasley smiled. “Of course, of course. Ask him if he would like to have dinner with us. He hasn’t joined us for a meal in a while.”

Hermione walked around the table and hugged Mrs. Weasley. “I’ll be sure to let him know.”

With that, Hermione and Ron walked into the living room and up to the fireplace. They were going to take the Floo Network to save on time, so they each grabbed a handful of the powder, threw it into the fireplace, and stepped in. Shouting “The Leaky Cauldron” as loudly and as clearly as she could, Hermione disappeared from the house. Ron followed suit, and appeared in the old pub a few moments after she had.

“Do you want to get a drink first, or go wait for Harry somewhere?” Ron asked as he stepped out of the fireplace.

“Let’s get a drink. I’m sure Harry won’t be here for a little while longer.”

Hermione and Ron walked over to where the bartender was and waited to give the man their order. Hermione looked around the room and noticed that there weren’t many people there even though it was a Friday.

“What can I get you two?” the bartender asked.

“Um, I’ll have a Firewhisky, and I’m not sure what she wants,” Ron answered, nodding his head towards Hermione.

“I’ll just have a Butterbeer, please.”

The bartender nodded and walked away to get their drinks. Ron watched the bartender make the drinks and nodded a “thank you” as he took the Firewhisky. Taking a large gulp, he turned to Hermione who was quietly sipping her Butterbeer.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked.

“Nothing’s wrong. I’m just a little tired, that’s all,” Hermione replied placing the glass on the counter in front of her. She folded her arms and continued to look around the dirty pub. It had been a while since she was in there: four years to be exact. The last time she was there was to get to Diagon Alley in order to buy school supplies.

“Are you sure that’s all? It seems like there’s more to it than that,” Ron coaxed. He continued to stare at her as he took another gulp from his glass.

“Yes, I’m sure. What is
your problem? Why do you keep insisting that there’s something wrong with me?” Hermione snapped, glaring at Ron.

Ron’s face turned bright red, and he was at a complete loss for words. He was used to Hermione getting mad at him, but there was usually a sound reason behind it. The fact that she was yelling at him at this moment for asking a simple question confused him. He didn’t think that it was as big of a deal as she was making it, and, if he was completely honest with himself, she was scaring him.

“Well, I “ I just thought that maybe there was something else wrong. It just seemed like it, that’s all.”

Hermione sighed and finished off her drink. She was tired of arguing. That’s all the two of them ever did now, was argue. Every day it seemed as though it were getting worse. They couldn’t agree on anything anymore, and each time Hermione wanted to just be by herself, Ron would make up an excuse to bother her. She knew that he meant well when he did things like that, but . . . the thing she thought was sweet in the beginning of their relationship now annoyed her to no end.

“Maybe you should stop over-thinking things then,” Hermione said. She jumped down from the stool she was sitting on and started to walk towards the backdoor that led to Diagon Alley. Once she reached the doorway, she turned around to face Ron. “Well, are you coming?”

Ron quickly finished his drink, paid the bartender, and walked over to where Hermione was standing. He nodded for her to go ahead and tap the bricks. He was anxiously awaiting the moment Harry would arrive. He took a quick glance at his watch and noticed that only three minutes remained until Harry should meet them. Harry was never the type to be late to see his friends, best friends at that.

Hermione stepped through the opening in the wall and continued to walk through the streets of Diagon Alley before Ron had the chance to catch up with her. She didn’t know why she was so angry at him for practically nothing, she just was. No matter what one of them did, the other was sure to be angry. The smallest thing would set the other off, and sometimes it would be days (even weeks) before they would speak to each other. It was a good thing that they didn’t buy a house together yet. They had been planning to make that move soon, but neither of them had the money for it just yet.

It was not as if they were looking for a new home, either. Ron still lived at the Burrow, and Hermione was still living at home with her parents. Of course, her parents didn’t mind her being there, but she was twenty-one years old. She wanted to move out on her own and get a good job. She was tired of having to abide by her parents’ rules, even though she knew that once she moved out she would continue to follow them. What annoyed her most was the idea that it was currently mandatory for her to follow these rules, regardless of the fact that she was an adult and thus thought she should be treated as one.

Ron, on the other hand, enjoyed staying at the Burrow. He was used to the many people running around and the loudness of his family as they all spoke at once at the dinner table. There were times when he wished he could get away for a while, but he would always change his mind as soon as George or Ginny asked him to play a small game of Quidditch outside.

The pair knew that they would have to make the move sometime, and it was usually better to do something that big sooner rather than later. Hermione just wanted to wait until they had saved enough money to get them through the first few months (or year) of living on their own, together. She always wanted to wait and see if their relationship got any better. She had a feeling that if they lived together, it may get better, but then there was always the chance that it could get worse.
End Notes:
So, what do you think? Thanks for reading!
The Start of Changes by TCole
Author's Notes:
Again, another thanks to my amazing betas! =D
”Harry!” Hermione yelled from across the road. She proceeded to wave her arms in the air to get his attention, but it didn’t seem to be working. Harry continued to walk in the opposite direction, not paying her any attention.

She began to run to where she had seen Harry, and she didn’t even take one look behind her to see if Ron was following. She knew that if he really wanted to see Harry then he would, but it was up to him to do so. They weren’t teenagers anymore; she shouldn’t have to tell Ron when something would be best for him.

“Hey! Harry! Over here,” she yelled again, this time she was much closer, and Harry turned around.

“There you are! I was looking all over for you and Ron,” Harry said. He smiled at her and gave her a quick hug. “Where’s Ron?”

Hermione muttered under her breath a few choice words, but to Harry she said, “He was behind me a few minutes ago. Maybe he didn’t realise that I had run after you.” She shrugged and turned around to see where Ron was. She could have sworn she heard him running along behind her, but she guessed that maybe she had been wrong.

“There he is. Let’s go.”

Harry nodded in Ron’s direction and started walking towards his best mate. Hermione sighed and followed along behind him. She was much more tired after running than she had been when she and Ron got to The Leaky Cauldron.

As Harry and Ron began to converse about work and other guy things, Hermione was looking around at the many shops that lined the street. She spotted the bookstore and decided that she would have a look to see if there were any new releases that she hadn’t had a chance to buy. She told Harry and Ron that she would meet up with them a little later and then headed off towards the store.

Before she reached the door, she heard a familiar laugh come from behind her. For some reason she couldn’t place a name or a face to it, but she knew that she had heard it many times before.

She turned around and was face to face with the one boy she had really hated in her lifetime.

“Malfoy,” Hermione said through clenched teeth. “What do you want?”

Draco smiled and laughed again. “Well, that’s not really a warm welcome after not seeing someone for four years!” He took a step towards her and tried to force himself to stop laughing.

“I’m not in the mood, Malfoy. Now, go away,” Hermione replied. She turned around to walk through the door of the bookshop, but as she lifted her arm up to push the door open, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Goose bumps erupted down her arm, and her heart began to race. She didn’t have to look to see whose hand it was. She knew it was Draco’s, and although she hated him with a deep passion, she unconsciously hoped that he wouldn’t move his hand from her skin.

“Wait, I just wanted to ask you how you were. Honest,” he said as she slowly turned her head to look at him.

For the first time, Hermione thought she saw a hint of sincerity on Draco’s face. She knew that she should have shrugged his hand from her shoulder and gone into the bookstore, but she couldn’t. The way he was looking at her made her realise that he really was being honest. If she looked hard enough, she could see a small flicker of pain in his face. For once, that pain wasn’t directed towards her. She didn’t know how she knew that, but it was a feeling that she had. She was never one to go solely by her feelings, but she could read people fairly well and her judgment was rarely wrong.

“Oh, well, I’m fine,” Hermione replied, but the tone of her voice gave her away.

“No, you’re not. Something’s wrong,” Draco said. He stared her in the eyes, and after a few minutes, he sighed. “This may sound strange, but ““

“But what?” Hermione interrupted. Her heart started racing again, and she could feel her cheeks growing red. “Sorry, continue.”

Draco laughed. “Do you want to go get a drink at The Leaky Cauldron?”

Hermione smiled. Even though she had just been to The Leaky Cauldron, she decided that a drink would probably make her feel at least a little better. She was not one to drink a lot, but every once in a while she enjoyed having a couple Fire Whiskeys to clear her mind and to help her relax.

“Sure, I could really use a drink right about now.”

Draco smiled and turned around to walk towards the pub. Hermione hesitated for a moment, but when Draco looked over his shoulder at her, she followed him. She knew that Harry and Ron would be furious with her for going anywhere with Draco, but she wanted to find out what was bothering him. They were never friends, and she didn’t expect that to happen. She still had a deep hatred for him, but she was never one to turn down a person in need. It seemed as though Draco was feeling much worse than she was at that moment.

The walk to the pub was a silent one, but it wasn’t an awkward silence. For some reason, Hermione felt comfortable walking with him. She made sure she stayed a few paces behind him so that the fact that they were walking together wouldn’t bring any attention to them.

When they reached the door to The Leaky Cauldron, Draco pushed it open and allowed Hermione to walk in ahead of him. She went over to the same stool that she had occupied earlier that day and sat down. The bartender smiled at her and walked over.

“Another Butter Beer, love?” the bartender asked.

Hermione shook her head. “No, I’d like a Fire Whiskey this time, please.”

Draco slid onto the stool on her right side and asked the bartender for a Fire Whiskey himself. He looked around the room, and, slowly, his eyes fell upon the woman sitting next to him. He knew that she must still hate him for all of the nasty things he had done to her when they had been in Hogwarts, but he hoped that she would see the change in him. Maybe they couldn’t be friends, but acquaintances were better than nothing. After the war had ended, Draco severed all ties with his friends. He didn’t want to have any memories of his past life, and the only way he could do that was to be left alone.

“So, um, what have you been doing with yourself?” Hermione asked. She nodded a “thank you” to the bartender, gave him a smile, and then turned back to Draco.

“Well, to be honest, I haven’t been doing much. I sort of . . . moved out of my parents’ house, and I have my own small apartment near Muggle London,” he replied, taking a sip of his drink.

“Oh, wow. Do you still talk to your parents?” Hermione said. The news of Draco living alone shocked her. She never would have thought that he would live anywhere close to Muggles, and she never would have thought that he would actually move out of his parents’ house. She always thought that he would stay at home just so he wouldn’t have to do anything with his life. He wouldn’t have to work or buy his own things. She was sure that his mother would have supplied him with everything, just so he would stay.

“I talk to my mother, but not so much with my father. He’s still in Azkaban, you know.”

Hermione’s face grew red, and she nodded her head. She had almost forgotten that Lucius Malfoy had been put in Azkaban after the war for being a Death Eater. Draco was able to escape the same fate as his father because the Ministry officials could tell that he had been brainwashed. It happened to a lot of Pureblood children whose parents were working for Voldemort. Draco was no different from any of the rest of them.

“I’m sorry. I forgot that he was imprisoned,” Hermione said. She took a large gulp of her drink and folded her hands in her lap. “Why did you move out of your parents’ house?”

“Mainly to try and forget all of the things that had happened. It was hard staying there when all of the memories still flooded the house. Almost every meeting happened there and . . . other terrible things,” Draco said, his voice becoming a quiet whisper.

Hermione nodded. She knew of some of the meetings that had been held there, and she had a feeling that everything probably happened in that house. She would have moved out, too, if those things had happened in her own home. She knew that they never would have, but if she were Draco, she knew that she would have done exactly what he had.

“Hermione, what the bloody hell are you doing?” a voice shouted from behind her. Her eyes grew wide, and she felt Draco tense beside her even though only their knees were touching because of the way the stools where set up. She slowly turned her head to look at the two people standing behind her. Hermione knew that she should have been worried about Harry and Ron coming to The Leaky Cauldron for a drink. She also knew that she should have been scared at that moment for what they were going to say (or do), but she wasn’t.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m having a drink with an old classmate; that’s what I’m doing.” She looked at Draco from the corner of her eye, and she noticed a slight smile on his face. She couldn’t help but laugh, and her two best friends stared at her as if she were insane.

“Now, if you don’t mind, we were having a conversation before you two so rudely interrupted,” Hermione snapped, turning around to face the counter. She lifted her glass to her lips and took a long gulp to calm her nerves. Although she wasn’t scared, the fact that she had just snapped at her two best friends all because she was having a drink with Draco Malfoy confused her a little, and it made her adrenaline start rushing.

After a few minutes she heard the sound of footsteps leaving the pub, and then the loud slam of the door. She knew that it wasn’t the end of the situation and that as soon as she got back to the Burrow later, all hell was going to break loose.

She knew that she should have been nervous about what was going to happen, but if she was honest with herself, she couldn’t care less about what Ron or Harry thought. For the first time in a long while, she felt a little happy. The fact that it was Draco Malfoy who was making her happy at that moment didn’t phase her anymore. She enjoyed getting Ron angry because of this, but she also hoped that it would make him realise how easily he could lose her. She had a feeling that he thought she would always be with him. She wanted him to finally see that she was her own person and that she could decide to do something else in life that didn’t involve him. Now, he would see that she could be happy without him, and maybe he’d even see that she could be happy just having a drink with an old classmate, even if that classmate happened to be Draco.

Hermione sighed and looked over at Draco, who was staring at her in awe.

“What?” she asked, raising her glass as a signal to the bartender for another one.

“I can’t believe you just did that,” Draco laughed. He shook his head and continued to stare at her. “You do know that that’s going to cause one major argument when you see them later, right?”

“Yes, I do. Thanks for pointing that out to me,” Hermione said. “But, I don’t care. I’m my own person, and I can make my own decisions whether those two agree with them or not.”

Draco smiled, lifted his glass, and tapped it against Hermione’s. She smiled back, and the two sipped happily from their glasses.
End Notes:
So, what did you think? =) Thanks for reading, my dears.
New Beginnings by TCole
Author's Notes:
Again, another thanks to my amazing betas. =D
”So . . .” Draco began. He couldn’t find the right words for what he wanted to ask. He didn’t want to seem like he was prying into her life. The girl, of course, still hated him with probably every ounce of her being, even if she was sitting there with him at that moment.

“So what?” Hermione asked, as she called the bartender back over for another drink.

Draco looked at her and tried to read her facial expressions. The entire time they were with each other that day, she seemed as though she were in a bad mood, yet . . . she had accepted his invitation to have a drink. None of it made any sense. He thought that he would have repulsed her still and that she would have stayed with Harry and Ron.

“Well, I just wanted to ask you what was wrong. I know you said earlier that nothing was bothering you, but I don’t really believe that.”

Hermione sighed. She knew he would ask that question eventually. She had hoped that it would have been later instead of now. Ron had asked her the same thing, yet she didn’t tell him what was bothering her. So why should she tell Draco? For some reason, she couldn’t help but feel like he could help her with her problem, so she decided it would be best to just lay everything out for him.

“I was hoping you wouldn’t ask me that again,” she replied. “It’s not really the fact of what’s bothering me at this moment; it’s what has
been bothering me.”

Draco nodded and encouraged her to continue.

“Well, you already know that Ron and I are sort of
together. We have been since sixth year, basically. Things started out really well, but now . . .” her voice trailed off, and she looked down at the glass she was holding.

“Things are bad?” Draco asked.

Hermione nodded. “Things have been bad. All we do is argue, and it’s always over the smallest things. He could ask me a simple question, and I’ll snap at him. Or I’ll tell him that I want to be alone to just relax, and he’ll continue to bother me.

“The things I once loved about him, I now . . . hate,” she finished. She lifted the glass to her lips and finished off her drink. She hiccupped, and then turned her head to look at him.

Draco didn’t know what to say. He was never one who was good at sympathy, and he never had to give sympathy to this particular woman. He didn’t want to say the wrong thing, but then again, he didn’t want to not say anything at all.

“Oh, that sounds “ “

“Terrible, I know. I don’t want sympathy, Draco, honestly. I just . . . want to know why things just can’t go back to the way they were in the beginning.”

“Maybe these things were meant to happen. Maybe you two aren’t meant for each other anymore,” Draco suggested. He took a gulp of his Firewhisky and continued to stare at her. He noticed that her eyes had begun to fill with tears, and he hoped that what he had said wasn’t the cause.

“Actually, I think you’re right,” Hermione said in a low voice, choking back the tears that threatened to pour out at any minute. “I think I realised that a long time ago, but I just didn’t want to admit it. I still love him, honestly, I do, but it’s not healthy to be with someone when all you do is argue.”

Draco nodded again. It seemed as though that was all he had been doing the whole time. He couldn’t think of anything he could say that would make her feel any better, and he didn’t want to press his luck with her. The day had been going pretty well so far, and he didn’t want to ruin it at that moment, especially when Hermione needed someone whom she could at least talk to, even if it was him.

Hermione wiped her eyes and sighed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think that talking about this would upset me so much.”

“It’s understandable that you’re upset. It’s not easy admitting that someone you love isn’t worth your time anymore.”

Hermione gave him a slight smile. She never realised how much she and Draco had in common. For her, the person she loved was a boyfriend, but for him, it was a parent. She couldn’t imagine the pain Draco was in from not being able, or not wanting, to speak to his father. She was fairly close to her own parents, and it pained her to even think of the idea of not speaking to one of them for more than a week, let alone the rest of her life.

“So, you said you lived near London. How’s that going for you?” Hermione said in an attempt to change the subject.

Draco laughed. “It’s much harder than I thought it would be. I can’t do magic out in the open like I could at my parents’ house. Of course, I use it all the time in my own home and wherever else I can.”

“Do you talk to any of your neighbors, or do you just keep to yourself?”

“I mainly keep to myself. There are a few ‘hello’s and ‘how are you’s’ exchanged here and there, but nothing more than that.”

Hermione couldn’t keep herself from laughing. Just the image of Draco actually speaking to Muggles cheered her up. A Malfoy being friendly to Muggles was not something that anyone would have expected, not even Hermione.

She looked up at the clock hanging on the wall, and she realised that it was starting to get extremely late. She couldn’t believe how quickly the time had flown, and although she knew that she should go back to the Burrow, she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to ruin her cheerful mood by arguing with Ron again that day. She also didn’t want to have to argue with Harry about the same thing. The only problem with that was . . . she had nowhere else to go.

She could go to her own home, but she knew that her parents would be asleep by the time she arrived. They still didn’t know how to work the Owl Post, so she couldn’t send an owl to let them know she was coming home early. There weren’t any telephones at the Burrow. She sighed and tried to think of where she could stay so that she could try and avoid Ron and Harry for at least a little while.

“What’s wrong?” Draco asked, making Hermione jump at the sudden sound of his voice. She had forgotten that she was sitting there with him while she thought about everything.

“Oh, um, nothing,” Hermione lied. She attempted to fake a smile. She couldn’t remember how many Firewhiskys she had drunk, but she knew that it had to have been a lot. She was starting to feel the effects of the drinks, and she knew that if she stood up there was a slight chance she would lose her balance.

“It can’t be nothing. Just by the look on your face, I can tell that something’s wrong. Just tell me.”

Hermione sighed. “Fine, it’s just that it’s getting late, and I should really be getting back to the Burrow, but . . .”

“You don’t want to deal with Ron, right?” Draco finished for her as he nodded his head. “Well, you could always, um . . .”

“I could always . . . what?” Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You could “ um “ stay at my house, that is, if you wanted to,” Draco said. He lifted his glass to ask the bartender for a refill and to avoid looking at Hermione.

He couldn’t believe he had just invited her to his house. He had the feeling that she would say no before he had even mentioned it, but she was desperate. There was a slight chance that she would say yes, and the thought of having company over excited him. No one had been to his home besides his mother who frequently came to check up on him. She didn’t like the idea of him living alone near London, but she also knew that there wasn’t anything she could say or do that would change his mind.

“Oh, well . . . I “ um “ I guess that would be nice,” Hermione stammered. She could have kicked herself for accepting the offer, but she knew that she had no other choice if she wanted to avoid Ron. She hoped that Draco at least had a comfortable couch she could sleep on, or, assuming his mother probably would have helped him with paying for the apartment, he may have had a guest bedroom with a nice bed.

“Really? You really want to stay there with me?” Draco asked with the total shock of her acceptance showing in his voice. He watched as she slowly nodded her head, and he couldn’t help but smile at her. After four years of not speaking to anyone he had gone to Hogwarts with or anyone at all for that matter, someone was finally going to stay at his house with him. He never used to enjoy company, but there was only so much alone time a person could stand before driving themselves mad. Draco was close to that point.

“Yes, really I would like to stay there. It’s a whole lot better than going back to the Burrow. I know I’ll have to go back eventually and face the consequences, but hopefully that could wait a little while,” Hermione replied, smiling back at him.

“Well, shall we go then? So I can show you where you’ll be sleeping and such?” Draco said, sliding off the stool.

“Yes, let’s go,” Hermione said. She jumped down from the stool, but before she turned to leave the pub, she stopped to finish the full glass of Firewhisky the bartender had brought over to her. She shoved her hands in her pockets to find her money, but Draco placed a hand on her arm to stop her.

“No, I got it. Keep your money for something you really need,” he said. With that, he paid the man, and they began to walk towards the door that led out into Muggle London.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. What did you think? Let me know! =D
The First Kiss by TCole
Author's Notes:
A million thanks to my betas again. =) Couldn't have done it without you all. *hugs*
As the two stepped out onto the street, Hermione stumbled a little and would have lost her balance completely had it not been for Draco who had grabbed onto her arm. He steadied her before they began to walk again, and he left her arm in the crease of his to make sure she wouldn’t fall.

“Thanks,” Hermione said. “I think I may have overdone it a bit with the Firewhisky.”

Draco laughed. He had always been able to hold down a lot of alcohol, and so he had never had that problem before.

“May have? I think you definitely have,” Draco remarked. He continued to lead her down the street with only a few turns here and there.

Fifteen minutes had passed, and the two were still walking. Hermione hadn’t noticed how much time had gone by, but she was beginning to get tired.

“Aren’t we there yet?” she asked. She tilted her head to the side and rested it on Draco’s shoulder. He looked down at her and smiled.

“Almost, just a block or two,” he replied. “You know, if you didn’t want to walk all this way, you could have said something. We could have Apparated here.”

Hermione groaned. She had forgotten that small fact and could have kicked herself for not realising it sooner.

“Why don’t we just Apparate now?”

“All right, I guess we can do Side-Along Apparation; it’s quite evident you can’t even stand up on your own right now,” Draco teased.

Hermione nodded and wrapped both arms around Draco to make it easy to Apparate along with him. She took in a deep breath and noticed, for the first time since they’d been walking, how great he smelled. It was a mix between mint and another scent that she couldn’t put her finger on. Together the two scents smelled wonderful, and she buried her face into his side a little more.

In one swift motion, Draco stepped with Hermione and turned on the spot. Within seconds, the pair was standing in front of a medium-sized building. It wasn’t as elegant as Malfoy Manor, but it seemed to suit Draco well, Hermione noted.

He motioned towards the door and held her arm as she climbed up the five steps leading to the home. Draco rummaged through his pockets to pull out his wand, muttered a spell, and pushed the door open. He allowed Hermione to step inside first before shutting the door behind them.

From the looks of it, the apartment had two bedrooms, a small living room with a kitchen on the far right side, and a bathroom. Each room came off another and one could see each doorway from the front hall. They took a few steps before turning into the first room that happened to be the living room.

Draco led Hermione to the couch and gently sat her down. He placed a pillow behind her and walked to the kitchen. Quickly he put water in the kettle and placed it on the burner before going back into the living room to sit with her.

“Are you okay?” he asked as he took a seat in an armchair that was next to the couch.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Hermione replied. She lifted her head and looked at him. “Why are you sitting all the way over there?”

“I “ um “ I didn’t think you would want me to sit that close,” Draco answered.

“Why? You were sitting this close at the pub,” she retorted. A few of the words slurred together, but somehow Draco managed to understand them. He stood and gracefully sat down beside her.

“There, is that better?” he asked, giving her a small smile.

“Much,” she said. She changed her position and laid her head on his shoulder. She wanted to smell the sweet scent of his shirt again, and he didn’t seem to mind.

Draco sighed, leaned his head against the back of the couch, and closed his eyes. He didn’t understand why he was so comfortable around her after all the hell he had put her through in the past. She should have hated him still. The fact that she had her head on his shoulder and was in his home shocked him. He enjoyed her company very much, but he still couldn’t help but feel guilty about everything he had done to her.

“Hermione . . .” Draco said.

She lifted her head and looked up at him. “Yes?”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

This caused her to sit up, and she leaned back on the arm of the couch. “What are you apologizing for?”

“Everything, everything that I have ever done to you,” he replied. “For everything that I have done that had caused you pain, I am sorry.”

Hermione didn’t know what to say. She never expected an apology from him, and for him to do it now caught her off guard.

She knew that time would make people realise the things that they had done wrong in life. She knew that as you grew up, you would mature and finally be able to admit your faults. However, she never thought that Draco would apologize to her for their childhood. She thought that since they had been together all day that that was enough of an apology. The fact that they were comfortable around each other now was enough to satisfy her, and it was enough to make her realise that he had actually changed his ways.

“Draco, you don’t have to apologize to me. You were young and immature. Your parents had put those thoughts in your head long before you had even met me,” Hermione said. “It’s not your fault.”

“Yes, it is. I didn’t have to listen to them, but I did. I ““

“No, they are your parents. Of course you had to listen to them. Everyone has to listen to their parents when they’re young. It’s just the way life is,” Hermione interrupted.

Draco sighed and rubbed his hands over his face. “I know, I know, you’re right, but that still doesn’t change the way I was to you.”

He looked at her with the pain evident on his face. The person he was back in his school days disgusted him. After spending the day with one of the people he had hated in school, he realised that he had no reason to hate her. Not now, not ever.

The kettle in the kitchen began to whistle, but neither of them moved. Hermione continued to stare back at him and ignored the sound from the kitchen all together.

As if someone had taken over her mind, and body, Hermione slowly moved closer to Draco. She kept eye contact throughout the process. When she got as close as she could, she lifted her hand, and placed it on his cheek.

“Draco . . .” she began. “Stop, I wasn’t expecting you to apologize for anything. I thought that your spending the day with me was enough of an apology.”

“You did?”

“Yes, I did. No one is perfect, and I know that you have grown up a lot since we last saw each other. Honestly, I have realised that I “ I don’t really hate you,” she said. “I have no reason to anymore.”

Draco gave her a small smile and sighed. He was happy to know those two facts, and he lifted his hand and put it over top of Hermione’s. In one swift (and brief) moment, Draco leaned closer to her. Within seconds, their lips met, and Hermione didn’t seem to mind.

He pulled her onto his lap without breaking contact with her and gently wrapped his arms around her waist. Her right hand was still pressed against his cheek, and her left arm was slung around his neck. She sighed as he added more force to the kiss they were sharing, and her fingers moved up his neck to tangle themselves in his hair.

The whistling of the kettle grew louder and eventually caused the two to break from the kiss.

“I should probably “ um “ get that,” Draco said.

“Yeah, probably,” Hermione replied. Draco gently lifted her off his lap and sat her back down on the couch. He smiled at her and walked into the kitchen.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! What did you think? Let me know! I love hearing from the readers. :D
Confusion by TCole
Author's Notes:
Another million thanks to my amazing betas for helping me with this! *hugs*
Once Draco was out of sight, Hermione put her hands over her face and shook her head. She couldn’t believe that she had just kissed him. It was Draco after all. Even though she had forgiven him for how he treated her in Hogwarts, she still didn’t forget it.

The first thought that came to her mind was how would she tell Ron? How
could she tell Ron? Although they were going through a tough time now, she still loved him. She knew that she would always love him, but . . . maybe what had just happened was a hint at what she should choose. She knew that it would be one of the biggest, and hardest, decisions of her life. She had to choose between Ron, the boy who had been one of her best friends since her first year at Hogwarts, and Draco, the boy who had been her enemy since her first year at Hogwarts, but was now . . . what?

She didn’t know where she stood with him. They had just shared one of the greatest kisses she had ever had, but they had both drank a lot. She wasn’t sure if the alcohol had affected what had happened, or if their feelings towards each other had changed. She knew that she was comfortable around Draco now, but could she actually see herself with him? She had hated the man for almost her whole life, and now she was starting to feel a mixture of feelings towards him.

The sound of footsteps broke through Hermione’s thoughts. She looked up as Draco handed her a warm cup of tea.

She smiled. “Thank you.” She placed the cup to her lips and took a long sip of the sweet liquid. She tried not to look at him as he walked to where he had been sitting a few moments ago, but she couldn’t help herself.

“Is the tea okay? Not too sweet, is it?” Draco asked as he sat down next to her. He took a drink from his own cup, and then placed it on the table in front of them.

“It’s perfect,” Hermione answered setting her cup down next to his. “Draco, I . . .”

“Please, don’t say it,” Draco sighed.

“Say what? You don’t even know
what I was going to say.”

“You regret what just happened, and you probably want to leave, don’t you?” Draco said. He stared back at her with the pain clearly showing in his eyes.

“No, I “ I wasn’t going to say that, actually,” Hermione replied clasping her hands together in her lap as she stared down at the floor.

“Then what
were you going to say?”

“I “ um “ I was going to say that . . .” Hermione started. “I’m thinking of leaving Ron. I just can’t do it anymore. All the fighting with him is honestly starting to get to me.”

Draco couldn’t help but smile. Although he knew that it hurt her to leave Ron, he always knew that that only meant she could possibly want to stay with him. He knew it was a long-shot, but after what had just happened, that was all that came to mind.

“Are you sure that’s what you really want to do?” he asked.

Hermione sighed. “Yes, I’m sure.”

“So . . . what does this mean?”

Hermione looked up. She wasn’t expecting him to ask her that. If she was honest with herself, she didn’t know what it meant. She wasn’t sure if the kiss really meant something, or if it was just because of all the Firewhisky the two of them had drank. Either way, she was still going to break everything off with Ron. The fighting was too much for her, and after spending the day with Draco, she realised that she could be happy without him, that she
was happy without him.

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “Maybe we should wait until we both get some sleep, and then . . . talk about things in the morning. Everything that has happened could have been because of the Fire Whiskey, and . . . I just want to make sure that it wasn’t.”

Draco nodded. He should have known that she would think that. No one can change the way they feel about someone in one night. At least, that’s what he always thought. One thing he did know was that the Firewhisky didn’t bother him as much as it had bothered her. Everything he had done that night was on his own. He
wanted to kiss her. He wanted to spend more time with her.

I guess it doesn’t matter what I want, does it? Draco thought to himself.

“Yeah, I “ um “ I guess you’re right,” he said. He picked up his cup and drank what was left of the tea. He gave her a small smile, and then took his cup into the kitchen.

Hermione slowly finished her own cup and followed Draco into the kitchen. When she looked through the doorway, she noticed that he was standing near the sink. His head was down, and he had a tight grip on each side of the counter.

“Draco? Are you okay?” she asked as she took a small step towards him.

The sound of her voice startled him, and he turned around, running his fingers through his hair.

“Me? Yeah, I “ I’m fine,” he stuttered. The look on his face gave him away.

“No, you’re not. What’s wrong?” she said walking over to stand in front of him. She placed the cup in the sink and folded her arms against her chest.

Draco sighed. “Honestly? I don’t know. I mean, I’m happy that you’re going to do what makes you happy, but . . .”

“You don’t know what it means for us, right?” Hermione finished for him.

He nodded. “Exactly. I mean, you already think that it only happened because you drank too much Firewhisky. What makes you think that you won’t wake up tomorrow and realise that it was all a huge mistake? And that you really want to stay with Ron?”

Hermione moved in closer, and again she placed a hand on his cheek. “Draco, trust me, I don’t want to be with Ron anymore. He doesn’t make me happy anymore, and “ well “ you do. It really might just be the Firewhisky, but right now, I don’t care.”

With that, she leaned in and kissed him again. The feeling was, once again, an intense one, and she sighed when he wrapped his arms around her. She couldn’t help the way she felt; people can change in time. The fact that they were both older and more mature made her feel better about her decision.

In the morning, she decided that she would go to the Burrow and would break the news to Ron and Harry. She knew that it wouldn’t turn out well, but she had to do it. It was the only way that she could truly be happy. She didn’t want to lose her two best friends all because of Draco, but if it meant that she would be happy in the end, she had to. Her mother always told her to do things that made herself happy instead of worrying about others first, and for once, she was going to take that advice to heart. She was going to make herself happy, and if that meant spending her life with Draco, then she was willing to do just that.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Please, let me know what you think! One more chapter! :)
The First Meeting by TCole
Author's Notes:
One last thanks to my amazing betas! *hugs*
All of the memories came rushing back to Hermione as if she was actually reliving it all. It upset her to remember the fact that she had broken Ron’s heart, and that him and Harry hated her now. But, if she pushed all of those things aside, she knew deep in her heart that she had made the right decision those many years ago. She was happy with how her life turned out. She was happy to be married to Draco.

It had been five years since she had last spoken to Ron and Harry. After she went back to the Burrow the morning after she realised her feelings for Draco, everything went downhill with her two best friends. As soon as she stepped through the door, the two of them were standing there, ready to yell at her. Of course, it ended with her leaving the house in tears to go back to Draco’s apartment. He welcomed her back with open arms, and she had been there ever since. She still saw Harry and Ron every now and then when she went to Diagon Alley, but they would always look in her direction, and then quickly turn away, disgust evident on their faces.

She sighed and looked at the clock on the table next to the bed. It was time for her to get showered and dressed. She knew that Draco was taking her to Malfoy Manor that day to see his mother. It would be her first visit there where she was actually welcome (for Draco she was welcome, but she knew his mother would feel the opposite).

Hermione climbed out of the bed and walked over to the dresser that held her clothes. She decided to go wearing a pair of black slacks and a white, button down shirt. She didn’t have to worry about her hair, she had begun to keep a full supply of the potion that straightened it out. It worked in a matter of minutes, and then all she had to do was style it. She figured she would keep it down with a black headband to keep it out of her face.

Once dressed and ready, she made her way through the hallway and into the kitchen. Draco was sitting at the table with a cup of tea, reading the Daily Prophet. He lifted his head and smiled at her.

“Good morning, are you all ready to go?” he asked, handing her his cup so they wouldn’t have to waste time by her making her own.

She took a sip of the warm liquid and smiled back. “Yeah, I think so. I guess I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

He laughed and got up from the table. He walked over to her and gently wrapped his arms around her, burying his face in her neck.

“You’ll be fine. I’m sure she’s had a change of heart after everything that has happened in the past.”

Hermione nodded. She still couldn’t help but feel nervous about formally meeting his mother. Narcissa wasn’t invited to the wedding for the sake of any arguments, and Hermione knew she would be upset with them for that. They had kept their wedding small with just the two of them, a random witness, and the Minister. The two had agreed to have a formal wedding once they told Narcissa about their relationship.

Draco let go of her, and he headed towards to front door. He looked over his shoulder, and she followed him. They stepped through the doorway and out onto the staircase. Once on the side walk, they both stepped and turned, Apparating on the spot to the Manor.

The house looked the same as it did years ago “ huge. Hermione sighed and rubbed her hands together as the two made their way up the lawn and to the front door. Draco reached out and took her hand in his, gently squeezing it as he pushed open the door.

The flickering light from a fire burning in the living room was visible from the hallway, and so they walked towards it, knowing that Narcissa would be there. Draco turned into the room first, still holding onto Hermione’s hand.

Narcissa raised her head at the sound of their footsteps and smiled when she saw her son. She reached out for him to give her a hug, but when Draco stepped to the side to show that Hermione was with him, the smile on Narcissa’s face disappeared and her arms dropped to her sides.

“Why is she here?” Narcissa said.

“Mother, I’m sure you already know who she is, but . . . I wanted to formally introduce the two of you,” Draco replied. He stepped closer towards his mother and pulled Hermione along with him.

“Mother, this is Hermione, my wife.”

Narcissa’s face dropped. Obviously, she wasn’t expecting Draco to call her his ‘wife’, and she sat down in the chair she had previously occupied.

“What do you mean ‘wife’?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Draco looked back at Hermione who was busy studying the floor of the sitting room.

“You know what I mean by it. Hermione is my wife. We decided a while ago to be married with just the two of us and the Minister. No one knows about it, except for you, now.”

Narcissa shook her head. She couldn’t believe anything that her son was saying to her. She didn’t want to believe anything her son was saying to her. Even though she was more tolerant of Muggle-borns, and she was hardly ever disrespectful to most of them, she still wanted to keep have her family be all Purebloods.

“Draco, honey, that can’t be true. You would never do that,” Narcissa said. She looked up at her son and realised that he wasn’t lying to her. She watched as he lifted his left hand and showed her the ring that he had. He then lifted Hermione’s hand to let her see that Hermione had the same one.

Narcissa sighed. “Why would you do this? Why?”

“Because “ I love her, Mother. I thought you, of all people, would understand that.”

“I do understand that, but . . . why her?” she asked.

“Mother, you don’t understand it at all. I married Hermione because I love her. I was wrong about her when I was in Hogwarts. She truly is an amazing woman, and . . . I’ve honestly grown to love her,” Draco said, his voice becoming a low whisper.

He looked at Hermione again and smiled. She forced herself to smile back at him, and then she turned and looked at Narcissa.

“Mrs. Malfoy, I know you don’t like me, but I just don’t want you to not talk to Draco because of the fact that we have been married,” Hermione said.

Narcissa turned her head to look at Hermione. Her face seemed to soften a bit, and she gave Hermione a small smile that was almost unnoticeable.

“Well, of course I won’t stop talking to my son. He’ll always be my son no matter what, and it’s not that I don’t like you, it’s just . . . I’m shocked that he got married to you after everything that has happened.”

Hermione nodded. She understood completely, and she was glad that Narcissa wasn’t going to disown Draco for marrying her. Hermione just wished that Narcissa would realise that she wasn’t as horrible as Narcissa thinks she is. She knew that it would take some time for Narcissa to come to terms with everything, but she was willing to wait. She was happy with her life and has been since that day in the Diagon Alley.

She turned her head towards Draco and smiled at him. She knew that things were going to get much better as time went by, and she was glad that she would go through everything with him by her side.
End Notes:
yay! all finished! =) What did you think? Thanks for reading!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=80566