Heartbeats by MerrryD
Summary:

They are insane.

They are both in St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. I believe Neville visits them, with his grandmother, during the holidays.

They do not recognise him.

Frank and Alice Longbottom suffered a terrible fate. It is not one to wish on even your worst enemy. Maybe their fate was written in the stars, and maybe it wasn’t. But, before it happened, pre-set or not, they had a life. They shared a story together. You know how it ends. Do you know how it goes?

Poor devils. Better dead than what happened to them.


Categories: Dark/Angsty Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mental Disorders, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2836 Read: 1611 Published: 11/06/08 Updated: 11/12/08
Story Notes:
The first quote in the summary is spoken by Dumbledore on page 603 of the American edition of GoF. The second quote is spoken by Mad-Eye on page 173 of the American edition of OotP.

1. Sacrifices by MerrryD

Sacrifices by MerrryD
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: I look horrible in orange “ JKR owns all (except for my OCs. They would be my creation).

Big bear hugs and many, many thank-yous go to some pretty fabulous people (and non-people) for this story. My two extremely talented betas: Alison (R_Ravenclaw) and Haylee (xhayleexblackx); my mum, as always, for being there; Laur (laurskii) for teaching the class that probed this plot bunny; my cat, for being my everlasting and constantly purring muse; my horses, for “inspiring” this story; the storm that knocked our power out twice and tore me away from the computer long enough to finish this chapter; and lastly, to the wonderful people at the power plant, for restoring power to my house, so I could type this chapter up and present it to you now. I hope you enjoy it!

Snow fell lazily from the sky, coating the earth in a thick white blanket. The dark clouds hung gloomily above, without a glimmer of sunlight poking through. Streets were still and silent, curtains drawn tight around their windows, blocking out all unwanted company. Christmas drew nearer by the hour, but none of the usual holiday cheer was present. Instead of sharing it, people seemed more content to keep it to themselves.

There was one house, though, that appeared to be bursting with it, desperately wishing that someone would share it with them. A green pine wreath decked with a bright red bow hung on the door. Candles in the windows cast a warm glowing circle of light onto the glittering snow. Smoke puffed regularly from all the mansion’s chimneys, letting all the neighbours know that there would be a full house for the holidays.

The occupants rushed around the dwelling, many of them smiling and laughing, a few wearing worried or frazzled expressions. No matter though, for all of them seemed to radiate just the same. The joy and cheer of the residents was so great that the house itself seemed to have absorbed it and shone with its own happiness.

No one was more happy, more joyous, more cheerful, or more lit up than the round faced, blonde witch. She wasn’t especially pretty, but her smile was so wide and her shine so brilliant that she drew all the eyes in the room immediately. There were many ugly things happening, and there was much to be sad about, but nothing could make Alice Prewett’s face fall on that day.

It was her day. The day she’d imagined since she was a little girl. She’d planned every minute of it, several times. As a young girl, many of the people had been faceless, just a blur of guests. Over time her relationships grew, filling in the empty spaces, until just one was left. She’d dreamed about many different figures poking their heads through the hole in the cardboard cut-out of her ideal man. All of them had looked just as silly as they would’ve looked with their faces in place of hers.

Except for one. But she hadn’t dare dwell on him for too long; it just hadn’t seemed possible.

Only...it was. It hadn’t been probable, but certainly was possible. He’d soon be waiting at the end of a long green carpet for her. The literal man of her dreams had told her he’d entertained her every wish for this day.

He’d gotten down on one knee, taken her hand in his, and produced a tiny velvet box. She’d never seen anything more beautiful in her life. He’d looked at her, his face serious, his eyes burning with love and desire and he’d said the most magical thing she’d ever heard.

“Alice Prewett, I love you. I love you more than anything in the world. I’ve loved you longer than you’ll ever imagine. I’m head over heels for you. Alice, will you marry me?”

He’d kissed her hand, slid the ring on her finger, and pressed his lips to hers, stopping the jumbled flow of nonsense his words had produced. He didn’t have to try and guess at what she’d meant. The light in her eyes, the tears streaming down her face, the tightness of her grip around his hand, had all answered him enough, he’d told her later.

“Alice -- Alice!” The voice tore Alice away from her memories. A warm hand closed on her shoulder. “Are you ready, honey?”

Alice looked up into the smiling face of her mum, Jane Prewett. She beamed back. “I’ve never been more ready.”

Jane shook her head. “I’ve never seen a more committed couple -- neither one of you has had cold feet since you were engaged!” She held her hand out for Alice to take, and gently pulled her up off the stool.

Alice smoothed her dress, and examined her appearance in the full-length mirror one last time. “Are they ready for me?” she asked, her voice shaking with sudden nerves at the thought of walking in front of people.

“Yes, they’re ready.” Jane’s voice caught in her throat, causing Alice to look up at her. “You’re so beautiful, and so grown up. I -- I can’t believe you’re getting married.”

“Oh, Mum.” Alice walked to her and wrapped her arms tightly around her mother. “Don’t cry. I haven’t even gone downstairs yet.”

“I’m not crying -- yet,” said Jane with a small laugh. She picked up a crown of poinsettias and gently placed it on Alice’s head, being careful to not tangle the veil. “Let’s go,” she said softly.

Alice followed her mum out the door and met her father, Henry Prewett. He smiled at her, giving her that sad, you-look-so-old-I-can’t-believe-you’re-my-baby look. Jane kissed Alice’s cheek and smiled at Henry. “I’ll see you in a little bit,” she said.

“Alice!” Evalynn Rose, Alice’s maid-of-honour, rushed forwards, hugging her. “You look gorgeous!” she squealed, grinning.

Alice grinned back. “Thanks! Where’s Delilah and Simone?”

“Here!” Delilah Smith and Simone Abbott, Alice’s other bridesmaids, came out of the room across the hall where they’d been dressing. “Wow! You look amazing, Alice!” said Delilah at the same time Simone said, “I love your crown!”

Alice beamed at both of them, laughing a little. She hugged them quickly. “Thanks!”

Her father cleared his throat, checking his watch. “They’re waiting for us. Are you ready?” He looked at his daughter, nostalgia creeping over his face.

“Don’t start crying before Mum does, Dad. It’ll make you look weak,” said Alice, coming over and taking his arm.

Henry chuckled, his belly quivering. “I won’t. Don’t you worry about that.” He reached out and pinched her nose fondly.

Alice squirmed away, and shared one last nervous look with Evalynn. “I’m ready,” she said a little breathlessly, looking back at her father.

Evalynn smiled reassuringly and handed Alice her bouquet of red and white roses. She started down the stairs, Simone and Delilah following. Her father squeezed her arm and led her down, going slowly so she didn’t step on her dress. Alice’s three bridesmaids stood waiting close to the large ballroom in the Longbottom mansion.

Alice found Evalynn’s eyes, and nodded “ her silent communication that the time had come. Butterflies swarmed in her stomach for a moment as the music started. She tried to quash them as everyone rose and turned to look for her. Evalynn led them, her smile big enough for two people. Despite that, it provided no competition to Alice’s, which would have lit up a dark room.

At first, Alice felt each and every eye on her, making her breathing rapid and uneven. With each step, with each new row of eyes boring down on her, the butterflies living in her abdomen decided to hold the Olympics. Drawing nearer to the front of the room, she could see Frank’s face clearly. Their eyes locked. As he smiled at her, the world melted away. Everyone disappeared, leaving the two of them alone, caught in their moment of pure bliss.

Methodically and unconsciously, Alice ran through the wedding step-by-step as they’d practiced. She reached Frank and the tufty-haired Wizard of Ceremonies, kissed her father on the cheek, handed Evalynn her bouquet, and faced Frank. Vaguely, it registered that the man had started speaking, but his words were a gentle hum in her ear, the accompanying music to the best freeze-frame of her life.

A few seconds later, it seemed, Alice felt an electric spark shoot up her arm as Frank’s hand closed around hers. He lifted it up and slid a small sliver band with a sparkling diamond on her finger. Gently, he lowered it, but hesitated before letting go completely. Alice returned the favour, sliding a small plain silver band onto his finger. She didn’t let go, though; instead intertwining her fingers in his.

The wizard asked her for her vow, she gave it. Frank gave his, and they were given permission to kiss. They leaned in slowly. It was long, sweet, and left Alice breathless and wishing for more. After they pulled apart, Alice sagged against Frank, dazed. The small group of guests stood and cheered, happy to have something to celebrate.

Hand-in-hand, Alice and Frank made their way to the back of the room, where a small line formed. They were showered in hugs and kisses and “Congratulations!” After they posed for pictures, the newly-weds hurried away to change into more suitable clothes for dinner.

They sat at several round tables spread across the room. Alice and Frank sat next to each other with Evalynn, Simone, Delilah, Toby Garson, Brewster Vane, Karr Somers, and Karr’s girlfriend, Moreen Monroe. Henry and Jane had insisted that Frank and Alice sit with their friends and enjoy their day. They’d had to practically drag Augusta Longbottom away before she could disagree.

“It was gorgeous!” gushed Evalynn, happily clinging to Alice’s arm. “You two looked so perfect up there! Everything was magical.”

Brewster, Frank’s best mate and best man, laughed across the table at Evalynn. “You’ve only told her, what, ten times now?”

Evalynn glared at him, but held her tongue. Alice silently thanked Merlin for that. Stress had never been more common, tempers broke like glass on the floor. Harsh words were handed out freely like coupons to an ice cream parlour. Tears seemed to be contagious. Same with the feeling of drowning in grief.

And it never ended. Everywhere you went, you were almost guaranteed to witness a temper snapping, cruelty being doled out to a stranger, or a child, or a grandparent, or a pet, and at least one person hastily wiping at their eyes.

The darkness that enshrouded them all had no dimensions. It went on forever, covering the world in the bleakest of light and the blackest of night. No light shone at the end of the tunnel, not hope-filled hearts beat on. And if a light did shine, if a heart did swell, the consequences were dire, for it was only a train, coming to knock you flat on your back.

Escape from this horror, this plight, this barren wasteland of days became a fantasy. So improbable, that common belief found it impossible.

Yet here they were, caught in a rare few hours of complete joy. They had their blushing bride dressed in white, their groom in his black formal robes, their Wizard of Ceremonies in green, a bouquet of roses, a crown of poinsettias -- and magic took a hold of the moment, seizing it.

Alice and Frank created their escape. On this one day, for a few precious hours, all sadness and grief were forgotten. It was only about Frank. It was only about Alice. It was all about Frank and Alice.

Thank Merlin, Evalynn didn’t snap and remind them all of the terror that haunted them. Not that any of them were likely to forget.

“I can’t believe you two got married!” squealed Moreen, over-riding the tension created by Evalynn and Brewster.

Alice and Frank exchanged a look. “Um, thanks...” said Frank, raising his eyebrows.

The former Ravenclaw flushed. “I didn’t mean -- I meant -- it wasn’t supposed -- Not that you two aren’t perfect for each other and don’t make sense -- you are and you do! I meant, the fact that you got married.”

“Oh, I see,” said Alice, her smile expanding. “It is amazing, isn’t it?”

“Yes!” assented Moreen immediately, looking grateful.

“Yeah, it is,” agreed Evalynn, looking pointedly across the table at Karr.

He laughed and rolled his eyes at her. “No, Eva, not us, not yet.”

“Aw,” pouted Delilah. “Why not?”

“Delilah!” hissed Simone, looking scandalised. “Don’t ask him when his girlfriend is right there!”

Delilah turned bright red as the table laughed. “Sorry,” she muttered.

“Don’t worry about it,” said Karr kindly. “We’ve talked about it “ marriage -- actually. We decided not yet. We agreed to wait until the war is over before we seriously think about it. First -- we want to concentrate on Healing.”

“Of course,” said Toby, amid the general nodding of understanding, “Karr and Moreen would put saving people before the loves of their lives.”

Karr and Moreen looked away, both of them flushing slightly, as a chuckle rippled across the table. They were saved from replying by the arrival of the first course: hot, steaming bowls of tomato-based soup and salad, with a serve-yourself mentality.

After a few minutes full of silence, except for the slurping of soup, Simone asked, “So where are you lovebirds going for your honeymoon?”

Alice shrugged and glanced at Frank. “We aren’t taking one.” She looked back at Simone. “We both want to finish our Auror training and then focus on hunting down Dark wizards. Kind of like Karr and Moreen. We’ll take our honeymoon later, when it’s all over.”

“Well, aren’t we just a table full of admirable people?” asked Brewster jokingly. “C’mon Evalynn, I think you and I better find somewhere else to sit. Somewhere with other shallow, selfish prats.” The table laughed again, the third time that night, a rarity all in itself. “No, seriously though,” Brewster looked at Frank and Alice, his face somber, “I really do admire you lot -- you two, too, Karr and Moreen.”

“I know,” said Toby. “We all do out part, but the four of you take it to a whole other level.”

“You know,” remarked Evalynn causally, “I always thought of February as the blushing month, not December.” The four pink-tinted faces turned red.

“And I didn’t think I’d ever laugh again,” said Toby, grinning at his friends snorting into their glasses.

“A wedding is a miracle in itself -- who knows what else it’ll bring,” said Delilah mystically.

“Two miracles, though?” Brewster looked thoughtful.

“Well, of course! It’s Alice and Frank’s wedding!” Evalynn’s faced showed she felt she’d stated the obvious.

Alice beamed. “I don’t know why that makes it worthy of two miracles.”

“Don’t you?” asked Frank quietly in her ear. He reached out and closed his fingers around hers. Alice’s fingers tingled. He leaned closer to her, his voice tickling her ear. “It’s because you are amazing and beautiful and kind and perfect.”

Alice turned her head towards him, her mouth centimetres from his. “I don’t deserve that,” she whispered, her breath hitting his lips. They twitched. Alice smiled, amused. “We’re at a dinner table...with friends.”

His hand tightened around hers, sending a wave of heat through her. “So?”

“Oi! You two! This isn’t the place!” exclaimed Brewster, throwing a roll at them and faking disgust. Frank laughed and leaned in, kissing Alice. “Ah! You have a whole week to do whatever you like before you’re off to learn to fight evil!”

Alice pulled back, grinning. “I can’t wait.”

“For six days of being alone or learning to destroy You-Know-Who?” asked Toby.

“Well...both.”

Karr shook his head. “If I didn’t know you personally, Alice, I’d never make you out to be an Auror.” Alice, Evalynn, Simone, and Delilah all looked at him oddly, but Frank nodded.

“You don’t exactly look the type that would make it a lifelong goal to thwart You-Know-Who and his Death Eaters.”

“Well, thanks a bunch,” said Alice sarcastically.

“That’s just how you look,” said Brewster, jumping on the Bandwagon. “You’re personality, though.” He shook his head. “I expect you to take on Bellatrix Black your first time out.”

Frank’s arm suddenly wrapped around her protectively. “You better not even be thinking about taking on Bellatrix Black in your first duel. Or ever.”

Alice smiled sweetly up at him. “Of course not! I am, however, thinking about taking on Bellatrix Lestrange...”

“That’s our Alice!” laughed Evalynn.

“You tell ‘im!” crowed Brewster, setting off more shouts of laughter.

Alice chuckled faintly, a broad smile on her face. She looked back up at Frank, his expression unreadable. Her smile shortened slightly. “What?”

“Please tell me you were kidding,” he choked out hoarsely.

Her eyes widened. “I was,” she said softly. “I’d never...”

“Okay, good.” Relief washed over Frank’s face. “You -- you really scared me for a moment.”

Alice’s eyes shone. She fought down a sudden urge to throw herself on him. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, leaning in. “I didn’t mean to.” She kissed him gently, feeling his arms wrap around her. She’d never felt so safe.
End Notes:

This is one of my favourites. Thus, it was chosen to transform from a simple, vague outline on a sheet of notebook paper into the real thing. And you know what would rock my world? Knowing what you think of it! It’s one of my favourites, but that doesn’t mean it’s good... And it’s up to you to let me know.

xo Mere

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=81608