Trickster by Willow Rosenberg
Past Featured StorySummary: After the disastrous events of the end of the Marauder's fifth year, a fuming Lily Evans decides that that arrogant James Potter and his friends need a taste of their own medicine. The straight-laced Prefect suddenly finds herself pranking her class's trickiest boys--and maybe even enjoying it. Coupled with a series of mysterious apology letters that Lily has begun receiving, it's bound to be an interesting year.

Winner of the 2010 QSQ for Best Canon Romance!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 57376 Read: 151365 Published: 03/04/09 Updated: 08/02/10

Story Notes:

November 1st, 2010: I just found out that "Trickster" won a QSQ for Best Canon Romance this year!! Thank you so much for everyone who's read this story, I'm so excited :)

The sequel, "Stars Apart," is now up!

1. Study Breaks by Willow Rosenberg

2. Dangerous Liaisons by Willow Rosenberg

3. We Might As Well Be Strangers by Willow Rosenberg

4. Hatching Plans by Willow Rosenberg

5. Crimes and Misdemeanors by Willow Rosenberg

6. Close Encounters by Willow Rosenberg

7. Alliances by Willow Rosenberg

8. Things Fall Apart by Willow Rosenberg

9. Action and Reaction by Willow Rosenberg

10. Hanging by a Moment by Willow Rosenberg

11. Strange Bedfellows by Willow Rosenberg

12. An Affair to Remember by Willow Rosenberg

13. Undercover by Willow Rosenberg

14. Between the Lines by Willow Rosenberg

15. So Close by Willow Rosenberg

16. Wide Awake, It's Morning by Willow Rosenberg

Study Breaks by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
The first three chapters are the end of fifth year--kind of a backplot, introduction set up thing. You get the idea.

--Note about the Patronuses--
I know that both Lily and Snape have doe Patronuses, but I think that while this story is taking place, they're both totally different people than who they ultimately become. And I know it was mentioned in book 6 that Patronuses can change shape if the caster has like, an emotional or significant change in their life, the way Tonks did when she fell in love with Remus. And I think that Lily's eventual falling in love with James as well as the effect her death had on Snape would change them both pretty significantly, and through that, their Patronuses. Hope that helps clear things up!

It was late—the kind of late distinguished by its silence more than anything else. Sprawled on the cool stone floor of a spacious room hidden behind a third-floor mirror, fifth-year Lily Evans could almost imagine she could hear the torch flames whispering. She set down her quill on one of the many books spread around her, and blinked at the torch on the wall, the fire growing hazy before her tired eyes.

A nap would be nice, she thought, feeling herself drifting. I only need a few minutes
 she almost had herself convinced when a ghostly wolverine Patronus burst through the wall. She shrieked, sitting up hastily and upending her ink bottle. The wolverine stopped before her, regarding her with one silver eye, before saying in a familiar voice, “Sorry I’m late. Be there soon.”

Lily sighed, frazzled, reaching up to smooth back her auburn hair, as the wolverine faded. Moments later, the mirror that was the door to the cavern swung open, and her best friend, Severus Snape, clambered in.

Lily sighed again, this time in exasperation. “Sev,” she chided, “I know you’re really proud of the fact that we’ve learned how to communicate with Patronuses, but do you have to summon yours every five minutes?”

He grinned impishly at her. “I’m sorry,” he said. “Did I wake you up?”

“Well, almost,” she grumbled, “I hadn’t quite fallen asleep. Which wouldn’t be a problem if we didn’t have to wait until three in the morning to study together for the O.W.Ls!”

He sighed heavily, his black eyes not meeting her green ones. “We don’t share a common room,” he pointed out. “And the library’s long closed by now. And you know what happens when we try to study in public.”

“Yeah,” she admitted. “The Slytherins call me names and those stupid Gryffindor boys play pranks on you. I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal for people from two different houses to be friends!”

Severus rolled his eyes. “It’s not, it’s just a big deal for anyone from Slytherin to be friends with anyone outside of it—especially from Gryffindor, and especially a mud—a Muggle-born. Besides, most of the reason those berks pull pranks on me is because James Potter fancies you.”

Lily threw her hands in the air. “Yes, you’ve mentioned that theory before! And I’m telling you now, like I told you then, you’re daft! James Potter doesn’t know me one way or the other, and if he did, he’d know I’m the one girl in Gryffindor Tower who can’t stand him and his stupid, arrogant friends. Besides, Sev, since when have you ever given me good boy information?”

“Hey!” he said indignantly. “I was the one who told you that Mark Nelson in Ravenclaw liked you!”

“Yes, you were,” she conceded, before smirking and adding “And wasn’t that a total disaster!”

“What?” cried Severus. “No it wasn’t!”

“Please, Sev!” Lily exclaimed. “The minute I agreed to go out with him he started following me around like a puppy. And he kept thanking me for agreeing to go out with him! Not to mention,” she mused, “he kissed like a lizard.”

“When have you ever kissed a lizard?”

“Oh, you know what I mean. He kept
darting his tongue at me.” She stuck out her own to demonstrate, and Severus laughed. Lily yawned, and poked him in the arm. “Come earlier next time,” she said.

He glanced at her and raised his eyebrows, saying “You know, I don’t think you’re tired at all. I think you’re just sore because I make a better Patronus.”

“What!” she yelped. “Not true!”

“Is! Yours are all wibbly.”

She put a hand on her hip, looked directly into his eyes and flung out her wand arm, shouting “Expecto Patronum!” A silvery fox burst from her wand tip and dropped to the floor, winding around her legs. “Ha!” she said triumphantly.

“Fine, fine!” he said, sitting in defeat. She joined him, and they watched as the silver fox faded into the dark. “You know,” he said thoughtfully, “I read somewhere that Patronuses can change shape.”

“What?” Lily asked. “Why would that happen?”

“Oh, you know,” Severus said. “If you suffered a big emotional change or like, trauma. It changes with you.”

“Well, I hope mine never does,” said Lily. “I like it the way it is.”

For a moment, they both gazed silently at the torch flames. Finally, Severus broke the silence, saying “So I was looking at that Potion to Induce Euphoria—we haven’t done it in class yet, but I’m thinking it might be on the test. Anyway, you’re the best Potions student of the year, I was thinking I’d ask your opinion.”

“I am not the best Potions student in our year, you are!”

“Well, it’s pretty close. Anyway, it seems like there’s these side effects—nose-tweaking and singing mostly—and I’m trying to figure out what would get rid of those.”

“Hmm,” said Lily thoughtfully, pulling her Potions book towards her. “Well, peppermint is generally known to be soothing—maybe a small sprig of that would counteract that?”

“You’re brilliant. See, I told you you’re brilliant!”

“Relax, you would have figured it out eventually.”

“Please, I would be worthless without you.”

Still bickering playfully, they bent over their books, quills scratching the parchment, as the night crept closer to dawn.

--

At the same time, the Gryffindor common room was not quite empty—it was occupied by four sprawling boys.

“This,” said Sirius Black adamantly, holding up a gleaming Transfiguration book, “Is pointless.” He chucked it across the Gryffindor common room, where it hit a dozing Peter Pettigrew on the head. Peter yelped and sat up. “Sorry mate!” called Sirius. “I was aiming for the fireplace.”

Peter eyed the blazing fire dolefully. “Don’t worry about it,” he said, rubbing his head and wincing. He picked up the book, raising his eyebrows as the spine cracked when he opened it. “Sirius,” he asked, “Have you ever actually opened this book before?”

Sirius gave a doglike snort, running his hands through his hair and flopping onto his back. “No need,” he boasted loftily. “I’ve got all that stuff in the bag. We figured out how to be Animagi—that’s top Transfiguration! What do I need to worry about O.W.L.s for?” He rolled onto his stomach, glancing at the only other two people in the common room, seated at a far table. “Oi! Prongs, Moony! What are you two doing over there?”

The two boys, one peaky-looking and sandy-haired, the other lanky with unruly dark hair, looked up. “Oh, just studying for Charms,” the latter said breezily.

Sirius sat up, looking affronted. “I expect that sort of behavior from Remus,” he said, shaking his head. “But you, James? How could you? I thought I knew you better than this!”

He flung himself on the ground again dramatically, while Peter giggled and Remus looked vaguely annoyed.

James stood up, walked over to where Sirius was now rolling around on the floor, and sat on him. “What would you rather do?” he asked. “Since you’re so above studying.”

“Let’s go for a run!” Sirius squeaked, wiggling free and bounding to his feet.

“Not full moon yet,” Remus called from his corner.

“Killjoy,” scowled Sirius. “We could always go without you.”

“No fair!” Remus cried indignantly.

“Besides,” added James, “It’s probably not a good idea to do it this close to exams.”

“Where is your sense of adventure man?” asked Sirius, pummeling him in the arm.

“We could sneak down to the kitchens again!” James said enthusiastically. “You could see how long you can annoy the house elves again before they kick you out.”

“Yes! Good plan, I’m starving,” Sirius grinned wolfishly. “I’ll get the cloak. Still in your pillow?”

“Yep,” said James.

Sirius looked around for a minute, and sure that there was no one else in the room, he transformed into a giant black dog, and leapt up the stairs.

Remus looked after him, disapproving. Peter had fallen asleep again. James laughed, shaking his head, saying, “It would have taken him maybe five extra seconds to walk up as himself.”

Remus shrugged, grinning crookedly. “Well, you know Sirius.”

James nodded and sat down at the table again. “So are you coming with us?”

“I really wanted to get through this book tonight,” Remus said reluctantly. “But bring me back an Ă©clair, would you?”

“Absolutely!” James said, chuckling. Then he paused. “Hey Moony
” he said, then stopped.

“Yeah?”

“Um, don’t tell Sirius this. He’ll never let me live it down. But I’ve actually been having trouble with some of the higher level Potions stuff, and, well, do you think you could help me out?”

Remus put down his quill and glanced at James thoughtfully. “I could try,” he said. “But if you really want help, I would recommend asking Lily Evans.”

“Evans?” James asked, swallowing slightly. “Why?”

“Well, she and Severus Snape are the best our year at Potions, and I don’t think you want to ask him.”

“No,” said James, his upper lip curling, “No, I’d rather not. Like Snivellus would help me anyway.”

“Ask Lily,” said Remus, turning back to his book. Then he hesitated and looked up. “You’ll be ok with that?” he asked slowly. “I know you fancy her.”

James jerked uncontrollably. “What?” he yelped, “Who told you that? I’ve never said anything about that, I’ve barely even spoken to her!”

Remus laughed, cutting him off. “James, that’s because you act like a giant idiot every time she walks into the room. I can put two and two together, you know. The fact that you can’t speak sense around her and you jinx Snape—her best friend—every chance you get pretty much points to that.”

James looked at him, openmouthed. He started to speak, but at that moment, Sirius came sprinting, human again, down the stairs towards him, brandishing the Invisibility Cloak. “This, my dear Prongs,” he berated, “was not in your pillow. I had to look everywhere before I finally found it shoved, quite unceremoniously, under your bed! If this is how you take care of your things young man, I may have to confiscate this.”

James laughed and tackled him. The rolled around on the floor for a few minutes, fighting for possession of the cloak, before finally rolling into Peter, who woke with a start.

“C’mon Wormtail!” cried James, hoisting him to his feet. “We’re adventuring to the kitchen!”

“Mkay,” said Peter sleepily, rubbing his eyes and yawning. “I’m ready.”

“Good!” said Sirius, shaking out the cloak. “Get under here!”

James grinned and started towards them, then stopped for a moment where Remus was sitting. “I’ll ask her tomorrow,” he said in an undertone, and Remus nodded imperceptibly. Louder, James added, “And we’ll bring you a whole plateful of Ă©clairs!”

Remus thumped him playfully on the head, smiling softly to himself, as James slipped under the cloak with Sirius and Peter, and disappeared out of the portrait hole, into the early morning darkness.
Dangerous Liaisons by Willow Rosenberg
“Now would be a perfect time to ask her, you know,” muttered Remus to James as they sat behind a cauldron together during Potions.

“I’m not asking her now,” James hissed back. “Not in front of Snivellus. I don’t need the whole world knowing I’m having a little bit of trouble. And you know Snape, he’ll blow the whole thing out of proportion because he hates me so much and she’ll think I’m even stupider than she already does.” He hacked savagely at the hellebore he was supposed to be slicing.

Not for the first time, Remus rolled his eyes and sighed. He glanced at James, who was scowling towards the cauldron Lily and Severus shared, then looked down at James’s right hand, which held the silver knife. James was so busy staring across the room that he was missing the hellebore completely, instead chopping deep grooves in the wooden table. Remus thought about telling him, and then decided it was safer not to. He quietly slid the plant along the table and began slicing it himself.

“I’ll ask her in Charms,” James said definitively, with the air of one settling an argument. “We don’t have that with the Slytherins, so I should be pretty safe. Besides,” he added smugly, “I’m good at Charms.”

“Better than you are at Potions, anyway,” said Remus under his breath, and James kicked him.

From the neighboring cauldron, Sirius sighed loudly. Although he had been initially disgruntled when James had partnered with Remus, he quickly got over it and progressed to bored. He peered casually into the cauldron that Peter was stirring feverishly, and asked “Is it supposed to be that color?”

“Famous last words,” grumbled Peter. He looked up from the potion, which had turned a nauseating shade of yellow and was emitting golden sparks, and glanced around the classroom. “Everyone else’s is kind of reddish,” he said mournfully. “Face it, Padfoot. I’m pretty sure we messed up.”

“You messed up,” Sirius pointed out. “I did nothing.”

Peter looked at him for a long moment. “And you don’t think letting me do an entire potion by myself was a mistake?”

“Oh yeah,” Sirius mused. “Well
oi! Prongs!”

James turned to face him. “What?” he asked irritably.

“We need to, um, borrow some of your potion,” said Sirius, beaming at him.

“Messed up that badly, did you?”

“Well I gave Wormtail the reins on this one. Should have known better.”

“Don’t blame him, I’m sure you couldn’t have done it either.”

“James.”

“Sirius.”

“Can I just have the potion please?”

“Five minutes. We aren’t done yet,” James said, shaking his head.

“What are we supposed to be making anyway?” asked Sirius.

James shrugged. “I think it’s the Draught of Peace,” he said.

Remus leaned over to him, handing him a small vial. “Here, shake this gently,” he said, “until it turns from red to pink.”

“Sure,” James said absentmindedly, taking the vial. He started to shake as he glanced around the classroom. Like they had so often in the past few years, his eyes fell on a rush of auburn hair. For some reason, Lily Evans never seemed to pay any attention to him.

Frustrated, he shook the vial a little harder. As he watched Lily, Severus Snape leaned over to whisper something in her ear. They both looked up at James and he blinked, jerking his head in a different direction A few moments later, he glanced back. Lily was absorbed in the potion, but Snape was still staring at him. For a moment, those black and far-too-knowing eyes bored into James’s hazel ones, and then Snape smirked. Angrily, James clenched the vial and shook it harder, staring right back without blinking.

“Careful,” Remus said nervously, reaching out to him, “that potion is really sensiti-”

Before he could finish, the vial exploded with a muted pop all over James. Almost instantaneously, small red sores appeared on his skin where the potion had touched it. He winced in pain.

“This,” James yelped, turning to face Remus, “is not a bloody Draught of Peace!”

“No,” said Remus calmly. “That’s the hellebore. It’s poisonous.”

“HOW POISONOUS, MOONY?” James roared. “AM I DYING OR NOT?”

Remus bit his lip. “I will get back to you on that,” he said over his shoulder as he ran towards the front of the classroom, where Professor Slughorn gazed, happily oblivious, out the open window.

---

Three hours, a trip to the hospital wing, and five antidotes later, James managed to drag himself to Charms, just in time for the last few minutes of class.

“Good,” Remus said briskly when he saw him. “You’re just in time.”

“For what?” James grumbled, still not entirely reconciled with the events of the morning.

“To ask out Lily!” piped Peter. Sirius growled and whacked him on the head as James stared incredulously at Remus.

“You told them?” he nearly shrieked, making an intense effort to keep his voice down. “That was confidential!”

“Relax, James,” said Remus bracingly. “All three of us have known since about the fourth year. I’m pretty sure most of Gryffindor Tower knows. Probably most of-”

“You can stop now,” said James queasily. “Anyway, as long as Lily doesn’t know, I think I’ll survive.”

Sirius and Peter exchanged a glance, and began to snicker uncontrollably. Remus had the grace to keep a straight face as James looked at the three of them and sank into the nearest chair and buried his face in his arms.

“Oh God,” he groaned into his elbow. Remus patted him sympathetically on the arm, finally letting the grin break onto his face.

---

Lily was concentrating. Charms, much as she liked Professor Flitwick, occasionally gave her a little trouble, and she was having particular trouble with the tricky Vanishing Spell. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, repeating the incantation in her mind. She exhaled, raised her wand arm, and—

“Ow! What was that for?” Lily opened her eyes indignantly, rubbing her arm where her friend Mary Macdonald had just poked her in the arm. Short and curvy with long, jet-black hair, Mary was probably Lily’s best friend in Gryffindor Tower, even though Lily spent most of her time sequestered in hidden rooms with Severus.

“James Potter is coming down to talk to you,” said Mary, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

“What?” said Lily, surprised, glancing over her shoulder. James Potter was indeed heading towards her from the back of the classroom, but she merely shrugged and turned back to Mary. “I’m sure he’s just going to ask Professor Flitwick a question,” she said, turning back to the cushion she was supposed to be Vanishing.

Mary sighed exasperatedly. “Am I going to have to explain the appeal of these boys to you again?” she asked resignedly. When Lily didn’t reply, Mary crossed her arms and said briskly, “If you’d just spend more time in the common room you’d know how funny and clever they are. Why, just last week Sirius Black Charmed a bottle of Butterbeer and gave it to a first-year, and it turned him into a salamander!”

Lily reached into her bag to pull out her Charms book, saying frostily as she did so, “That’s not the kind of thing that I find funny.”

“Well, that’s not a very good example,” said Mary, waving a hand at her. “Anyway, the first-year was fine, he got a real thrill out of it. If you’d just stick around you’d see for yourself. And my, it doesn’t hurt how attractive they’ve gotten recently
” she trailed off suddenly, clearing her throat loudly.

Lily looked up at her questioningly, and felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning, she saw the lanky figure of James Potter, who dropped his hand as she looked at him. “‘lo, Evans,” he said, almost shyly.

“Potter,” she said coolly, nodding at him.

“So, listen,” he said, and she felt a tremor of irritation she felt as he hoisted himself onto the table, sitting as if he belonged there, and shoving her Charms book to the side. She glanced at him as he continued, “You uh, may have noticed my little incident in Potions this morning,” he said wryly, and she couldn’t help herself—a small laugh escaped at the memory.

“I seem to remember something like that,” she said, smiling faintly.

The corner of his mouth twitched. “Well,” he said, leaning towards her, “I’m about to tell you a big secret. You can’t spread it around, it’ll ruin my reputation. I need to know I can trust you.”

There was something so magnetic about that crooked grin; she felt herself leaning forward, but passed it off as a motion to grab her Charms book. She clutched it tightly to her chest and said, impassively, “Secret’s safe. Go on.”

“Well,” he said again, whispering now, “I really think you should know
I’m not very good at Potions.”

She was surprised into laughter again, but it was short-lived as he looked smugly pleased with himself. “Yes,” she conceded, “and?”

For a moment, he actually looked uncomfortable. “I was actually wondering if you could help me out with something,” he muttered, swinging his feet the way a scolded child might. “I know you’re one of the best in our year at Potions, and I thought maybe you could give me a few pointers? Before the O.W.Ls, you know.”

Taken aback by his sudden sincerity, she found herself agreeing. “I guess I could do that,” she said warily, not taking her eyes off him.

He jumped off the table, hazel eyes twinkling roguishly. “Thanks so much,” he said. “I really appreciate it. Gryffindor Common room at eight tonight?”

She turned away from him to collect her things from the table as the bell rang. “Better make it the library,” she called over her shoulder. If she was going to do this, it would be on her terms. He nodded in agreement and sprinted away, as Mary came up and squeezed her arm.

“You have a date with James Potter!” she squealed excitedly.

“It’s not a date!” Lily protested. “He may have been very polite just now, but years of observation have taught me that James Potter is an obnoxious megalomaniac. I don’t know why I agreed.”

“Well at least let me do your hair.”

“It’s to study, Mary, we’re not going out for an evening at Madame Puddifuts!”

“You’re going out! You admitted it!”

“I said we weren’t going out
”

Sniping lightheartedly, they left the Charms classroom together in a way that made Lily wonder if the evening would really be that bad after all.

---

Severus, unfortunately, was convinced it would be. They were standing together in the library, behind a bookshelf, a few moments before James was due to show, whispering furiously.

“I can’t believe you agreed to tutor James Potter. James Potter, Lily!”

“I know, Sev, but he really needed the help. You saw what happened in Potions today!”

“Yeah, I saw,” Severus sneered. “He poisoned himself because he was so busy looking at you. I’m sure this is whole thing is a ruse to spend more time with you!”

“Well, Sev,” said Lily severely, “it won’t work. Just because I had a polite conversation with the boy doesn’t mean I suddenly like him. But he was perfectly cordial, I had no reason to say no! Maybe he’s matured this year.”

Severus snorted. “Once a bully, always a bully,” he muttered. “You know all the pranks he’s pulled!”

“I know,” Lily sighed, “but this isn’t going to be a regular thing. The O.W.L.s are next week! He only needs me until then.”

Severus, whose lip had curled on the word “need,” only scowled more deeply. “Fine,” he hissed, “but I am waiting right here until you’re done.” He sat down, concealed behind the bookshelf, with a perfect view of the table where Lily had set out her Potions notes.

“Sev, this is ridiculous,” Lily protested. “I’m going to be perfectly fine. I don’t need your help with James Potter.”

“Loverboy’s here,” Severus said sullenly, pointing.

Lily glared at him. “I’m not speaking to you,” she said with dignity, “until you behave more reasonably.” Turning on her heel, she smacked directly into the bookcase. “Ow,” she whimpered quietly, putting a hand to her forehead as Severus snickered behind her. Not looking at him, she stepped out into the aisle, and strode towards the table where James Potter was waiting.
We Might As Well Be Strangers by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
So this is the last chapter of the fifth year. I apologize for the long wait--family problems, finals, a computer crash, and no internet for the summer kind of slowed me down. But I did get a chance to write a whole lot more of this story--it's actually almost done now, so updates should come quickly!! And this one is pretty long, to make up for it.
----------------
“Evans,” said James dryly, “why on earth do you have a copy of Advanced Potion-Making?”

Lily tried to twitch the book away from him, but he, with the unerring skill of a Quidditch Chaser, snaked out one long arm and snagged the book.

“Isn’t this N.E.W.T. level stuff?” he asked, smirking.

She blushed—as a redhead, she blushed far too easily, and said, “No! Well,” she amended, “it is, but it’s not my book. It’s Severus’s, he was really interested in getting ahead on the Potions theory
”

“Snivellus?” asked James, and his smirk twisted into something uglier, meaner. Lily tried to snatch the book back, but he held it out of her reach.

“Don’t call him that,” she said stonily.

It was their third tutoring session. O.W.L.s were fast approaching, and for the most part, their evenings in the library had been rather polite and formal. Lily had been surprised at how dedicated to the work James Potter had been—he seemed actually to be invested in learning the material. After all of Severus’s insistence that James was only out to woo her, Lily was relieved—and also slightly offended. But only slightly.

Lily gritted her teeth as James turned away from her to flip through the book. “Probably grease stains all through it,” James was saying. “And what’s he written on the pages? Are these spells?” He turned the book sideways, squinting at the words written in the margins.

Desperate to get the book back, Lily leapt from her seat and, without thinking, launched herself at him.

His chair fell over backwards, his head hitting the ground so hard that his glasses ended up crooked on his face. Lily fell with him, pinning him to the ground. The book flew out of his hands, and she whipped her wand from her sleeve and shouted “Accio!”

The book flew into her hands, and she breathed a sigh of relief, tucking it into her pocket. Only then did she hear the snickers, and looked around to see that everyone in their vicinity of the library staring at them. She looked down to see that she was still sitting astride James Potter, who propped himself up on his elbows, pushing his glasses up onto his nose. He looked up at her, his hair more disheveled than ever, and winked. “Well Evans,” he said, “I should’ve known you like it on top.”

Her blush from before was nothing compared to the one that spread across her cheeks now. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew—she hadn’t even noticed that they were there before—high-five each other. She rolled gracelessly off of James and stood up, only to bump directly into Madame Pince who had stormed towards them and was now swelling like a bullfrog.

“Out!” screeched the librarian. “Out of my library this instant!”

And Lily Evans, prefect, model student, teacher’s pet, scooped up her books with as much dignity as she could muster, and looked down at James, still sprawled on the floor. “I believe, Mr. Potter,” she said imperiously, “that this concludes our tutoring sessions.” And she swept from the library.

She couldn’t be sure, but as the tail of her cloak whipped around the library’s doors, she swore she heard a low whistle.

Lily couldn’t help herself. She grinned.

---

In the boy’s dormitory later that night, James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus lay flung across their beds, wide-awake. They had their Charms practical, their first O.W.L., the morning after next, and Remus was, characteristically, going over some last minute notes, while Peter sat beside him, looking worried. James was on his back, staring intently at the ceiling, his wand in his hand. Sirius was looking quizzically at James, his head cocked to one side.

“Um, Prongs?” he asked tentatively. “What exactly are you trying to do to the ceiling?”

James flipped over onto his stomach, his gaze moving from the ceiling to his best friend. He stared at Sirius intently for a moment, and Sirius fidgeted uneasily.

“Prongs,” he began, but his words turned into a screech as James flicked his wand, and Sirius was hoisted into the air by his ankle.

James roared with laughter, and Peter leapt to his feet, looking between the two of them. Even Remus set aside his book, blinking up at them in interest. “How did you do that?” he asked curiously.

James shrugged. “Read it somewhere,” he said airily. “Levicorpus. Nonverbal.”

“I don’t care,” panted Sirius above them, “what it’s called. Will you just let me down?”

“Sure,” James said good-naturedly, raising his wand. Then he hesitated. “Um
as soon as I remember the countercurse.”

Sirius howled at him as Peter exploded into laughter, and Remus couldn’t hold back his chuckle.

---

“This is it,” Mary Macdonald muttered to Lily as they walked down to breakfast the next morning. “The day of truth. Our last day of freedom before O.W.Ls. Who will survive? Who will crack under the pressure?”

Lily giggled in spite of herself. “I heard Dedalus Diggle’s already been sent to the hospital wing three times for a Calming Draught!” she said, and Mary winked.

“That might also just be Dedalus though,” Mary said wisely. “He is extremely excitable.”

The two of them laughed, perhaps louder than they would have usually, due to nerves, as they rounded the corner to the Great Hall and slid into their usual seats at the Gryffindor table.

As they sat down, Marlene McKinnon, a pretty sixth-year with blonde ringlets, leaned forward in her seat. “So Lily,” she said, with a mischievous wink, “I heard you were straddling James Potter in the library last night.”

Lily, momentarily speechless, opened her mouth, and closed it again. Mary prodded her in the side, half excited and half annoyed. “Excuse me!” she said indignantly. “I believe there is a story you need to tell me!”

Lily, blushing yet again, did a quick scan up and down the Gryffindor table. None of the four boys in their year were at breakfast, and she breathed in deeply.

“Tell!” said Mary, elbowing her in the side again. Marlene laughed, saying, “I’d like to hear this too!”

“Well, it’s really nothing,” Lily began, just as Leda Wood, one of the other fifth-year Gryffindor Girls, sat down next to her, looking worried.

“Have either of you seen Amelia?” she asked Lily and Mary, naming the fourth girl they shared their dorm room with. “She was gone this morning when I woke up, and we were supposed to review our Charms notes this morning.”

Lily shook her head, glancing around at the Gryffindor table. “I wouldn’t worry,” Mary was saying to Leda, “I’m sure she’s fine.”

Leda pointed over to the Ravenclaw table. “Her brother Stephen isn’t here either,” she said, frowning. “I’m just not sure—”

Lily let her gaze stray to the Slytherin table, where she saw Severus, his slight shoulders rounded as he leaned forward, apparently deep in conversation with two of his friends, Mulciber and Avery. Lily curled her upper lip distastefully at the sight of them. As though he felt her gaze, Avery raised his head, and locked eyes with her. She saw him say something to Severus, who raised his head and glanced towards the Gryffindor table. Lily raised her hand, giving him a small wave, but he seemed to not see her, and turned back to his friends.

“Who are you waving at?” Mary wanted to know. “Is that Snape again? Lily, I really don’t understand what you see in him
”

“We’ve been friends for a long time,” Lily said simply, “before we were ever Sorted. I don’t see what the problem is, anyway.”

Mary sighed heavily. “It’s not a problem, exactly,” she said. “It’s just
unusual.”

Lily shrugged, and started to reach for the plate of bacon, just as James Potter landed heavily in the seat across from her and swiped the last three slices. She scowled at him, and he grinned roguishly back. And then she was jostled rudely to the side as Sirius inserted himself between her and Mary, throwing an arm around each of their shoulders.

“Ladies!” he said. “I can see that you missed me. Clearly, you were inconsolable at my absence. My late arrival had you all worried.”

Lily laughed, but not until after she had removed his arm from her shoulders. “Looks like you’re not the only one late to breakfast,” she said, nodding up at the staff table. “I think Dumbledore’s going to say something to us.”

And indeed, the headmaster had arrived, and was somberly surveying the students. Lily frowned; in her five years at Hogwarts, she had never seen Professor Dumbledore so serious.

He cleared his throat, pushing the half-moon spectacles up his crooked nose as the Great Hall fell silent. “You may have noticed,” Dumbledore began, and his gaze lingered on the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tables, “the absence of a few of our students this morning. It is my sad duty to inform you that Stephen and Amelia Bones have left Hogwarts for the remainder of the school year. It has yet to be determined if they will return next year.”

A low murmur had broken out among the students, and Dumbledore raised one weathered hand. “I believe that many of you have begun to hear whisperings of a certain wizard, one who has fashioned himself the name of Lord Voldemort—” There was a collective shudder in the hall, and Dumbledore smiled gently and continued “—or, as many of you seem to be more comfortable hearing, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. This wizard appears to be behind the deaths of Stephen and Amelia’s parents, along with several other of their family members. I fear that dark times are approaching, and it is important for you all to know of the dangers that lurk outside our walls.”

With one last long look at them all, Dumbledore fell silent.

Lily stared at him, speechless. To one side of her, she could feel Leda shaking, one hand over her mouth. To her other, Sirius’s arms had fallen limply to his sides. Glancing up at the hall, Lily saw that a number of students had raised their goblets in the air, toward the enchanted ceiling, in silent tribute, and she did the same, bowing her head. Beside her, she felt the other Gryffindors raise their goblets as well.

For a long moment, she closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she looked towards the Slytherin table, and saw, with a sting of fury, that many of them remain stubbornly still, their goblets on the table, hands in their laps. With a pang of horror, she realized that Severus was one of them.

He glanced over his shoulder then, and she almost didn’t recognize him; there was something hard in his eyes that she had never seen before. But then it broke, and he held her gaze for a long moment, and surely that was the Sev she knew so well.

---

The fifth years were quiet as they walked to Potions that morning. Professor Slughorn glanced around at them kindly, his hand resting on his potbelly, but then announced, with a small tremor in his voice, that their O.W.L.s were upon them, and they were going to have a review day. The class groaned, and it was almost any other day.

Slughorn had them brewing antidotes in preparation for the practical, and surprised them with random questioning to prepare for the written. This somewhat upped Lily’s confidence; she felt she had remembered the details of Amortensia quite well, and Slughorn’s beaming smile at her answer quite influenced this belief.

Leda, however, had never been quite as confident in Potions. Coupled with the stress of the morning and a deeply rooted fear of public speaking, she babbled incoherently for three minutes after Slughorn asked her about Forgetfulness Potions. Lily winces as a bemused Slughorn tried to stop a wildly desperate Leda from continuing her speech, when there was a faint whisper from the Slytherin half of the room, and the whoosh of a spell. Leda stopped talking the instant the hex hit her; her tongue had been glued to the roof of her mouth.

Laughter erupted from the Slytherins, while the Gryffindors roared indignantly. A frantic Slughorn dismissed class early and ushered Leda out of the classroom down to the hospital wing.

Lily and Mary filed out of the classroom with the rest of the Gryffindors; as James Potter pushed past her, Lily heard him mutter, “At least I won’t be the only one failing the Potions O.W.L.” As much as she didn’t want to, Lily rather found himself agreeing with him.

As the entered the corridor, Lily grabbed Mary’s shoulder. “I’ll see you in the common room, all right?” she muttered. “There’s something I need to do.”

Mary looked at her quizzically, but nodded, and Lily turned back to the door, just as Severus came out of it.

Lily grabbed his arm and dragged him into a corner as the rest of the Slytherins passed them. “I know it was you,” she hissed at him, and was glad to see that he had the grace to look ashamed. “You invented that tongue-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth curse, it couldn’t have been anyone else!”

“I’m not denying it!” he said hotly. “It was just a laugh, Lily. Blowing off steam before exams, you know.”

“It wasn’t right, Sev,” she said severely, “and it wasn’t you! You were just trying to impress those awful friends of yours
”

“Yeah?” he asked, his face turning red, and he suddenly turned savage. “Well speaking of friends in low places, I heard you were all over James Potter last night. Sharing all sorts of fancy Potions tricks with him, were you? Gave him a nice long look at my copy of Advanced Potions-Making, did you?”

Lily gave a cry of outrage, and whirled away from him. “God, Sev!” she wailed. “How many times do I have to tell you that I don’t fancy James Potter? I don’t even like him. Him or Sirius Black. And I would never show him your book!”

Severus sighed, and looked at her sideways. “I know,” he muttered. “I’m sorry. And I’m sorry about Leda. I just
I don’t know what came over me.”

Lily looked steadily back at him. “Sometimes,” she said quietly, almost inaudibly, “sometimes, Sev, I’m not sure I even know you anymore.”

He bit his lip, and looked her full in the face. “Friends?”

She hestitate for the barest of moments, then smiled. “Of course, friends,” she said softly. Then she dug through her back and pulled out his Potions book. “You should probably take this back though,” she said, “since the O.W.L. is soon, and I know you have notes in here.”

He nodded and took the book from her, sliding it into his bag as he turned towards the Slytherin common room. She watched him go for a long moment before heading up the stairs to her own dormitory.

---

Lily put down her quill, and for the first time all exam, looked around at her classmates. She took one more look at the exam in front of her—Defense Against the Dark Arts—and took a deep breath. She had finished the test a good twenty minutes ago, and had spent the remaining time checking over her answers. Convinced that she could do no more, with five minutes left in the exam time, she rolled up the scroll in front of her, and leaned back in her seat.

Severus was still writing; she smiled softly as she saw his quill flying across the parchment. Remus Lupin, a few seats down from him, was still writing as well, albeit at a slower pace. Peter Pettigrew beside him appeared to be sleeping. She glanced over at Mary, who appeared to be eyeing a lounging Sirius Black appreciatively. Lily rolled her eyes. Mary’s standards for boys were low; as long as they were breathing, she didn’t discriminate.

Lily spared a worried glance for Leda; she knew the other fifth-year was still very stressed, but she appeared to be going over her answers one last time confidently. Then Lily’s gaze slid to James Potter. His quill was still moving, but he appeared to be doodling something. She half-laughed as Professor Flitwick called time, and summoned the test papers to the front of the room; James jumped and scribbled quickly over his doodle. Lily smirked. It was probably butterflies. Or rainbows.

“All in all,” said Mary to Lily as they filed out of the room together, “I think that could have gone a lot worse.”

Lily nodded fervently in agreement. “I got turned around on that question about grindylows and kappas,” she said, “but I think that was just nerves. Other than that, it was pretty easy!”

Mary grinned. “We’re almost done then!” she said happily, skipping for a few steps. She turned to Lily and said seriously, “I know you probably want to spend all of our lunch break and in-between time studying for the Defense practical tonight, but let’s just take a little bit of a break right now. It’s so nice out, we can go hang out by the lake for a little while.”

Lily hesitated for a second, but as they stepped out onto the grounds, the sun hit her face, and she could feel summer in the air She smiled. “Race you!”

Mary shrieked and chased her to the lake. They arrived breathlessly, and flopped down in the shade. “Exams haven’t killed you yet?” they heard someone ask, and looked up to see Marlene McKinnon and a group of her sixth-year friends watching them, half-amused and half-sympathetic.

“Not yet!” cried Lily. “The end is in sight!”

“What do you have left?” Marlene asked them.

They told her, and she sympathized with them, and for this one moment, Lily tilted her head back in the sunlight and tried not to think or worry about the upcoming exams. She was determined to take these few brief moments to relax and de-stress.

She closed her eyes, but then she heard Mary say “What’s going on over the castle?”

Lily opened her eyes and stood up, glancing over at the knot of people. She thought she saw James Potter in the center of them, his wand arm outstretched, and beside him, a familiar looking boy was twitching, upside-down in the air


“Oh no,” Lily breathed, and then she was running, ignoring Mary’s quizzical shouts behind her. As she approached, she could hear that it was indeed James Potter who was jeering something, but the wind was in her ears and she couldn’t make out the words.

She skidded to a stop in front of the crowd, saw James preening in front of his audience, Severus spitting out soap bubbles and dangling in the air by his ankle beside him.

Lily’s blood was boiling, her heart pounding with fury as she yelled at him to let Severus down. And James Potter turned to her cheekily and said “I will if you go out with me, Evans.” Lily was taken aback for a moment; she had never really believed that he fancied her. But then she snorted—he paused from tormenting her best friend to ask her out? What did he expect her to say to that?

‘“I wouldn’t go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid,” said Lily.

“Bad luck, Prongs,” said Sirus briskly, turning back to Snape. “OY!”

But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James’s face, spattering his robes with blood. James whirled about; a second flash of light later, Snape was hanging upside down in the air, his robes falling over his head to reveal skinny, pallid legs and a pair of graying underpants


Lily, whose furious expression had twitched for an instant as though she was going to smile, said “Let him down!”

“Certainly,” said James and he jerked his wand upward. Snape fell into a crumpled heap on the ground. Disentangling himself from his robes, he got quickly to his feet, wand up, but Sirius said, “Locomotor mortis!” and Snape keeled over again at once, rigid as a board.

“LEAVE HIM ALONE!” Lily shouted. She had her own wand out now. James and Sirius eyed it warily.

“Ah Evans, don’t make me hex you,” said James earnestly.

“Take the curse off him, then!”

James sighed deeply, then turned to Snape and muttered the countercurse.

“There you go,” he said, as Snape struggled to his feet again, “you’re lucky Evans was here, Snivellus—”

“I don’t need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!”

Lily blinked. “Fine,” she said coolly. “I won’t bother in future. And I’d wash your pants if I were you, Snivellus.”

“Apologize to Evans!” James roared at Snape, his wand pointed threateningly at him.

“I don’t want you to make him apologize,” Lily shouted, rounding on James. “You’re as bad as he is
”

“What?” yelped James. “I’d NEVER call you a—you-know-what!”

“Messing up your hair because you think it looks cool to look like you’ve just got off your broomstick, showing off with that stupid Snitch, walking down corridors and hexing anyone who annoys you just because you can—I’m surprised your broomstick can get off the ground with that fat head on it. You make me SICK.”

She turned on her heel and hurried away.

“Evans!” James shouted after her, “Hey, EVANS!”

But she didn’t look back.’ (1)
---

Mudblood. He had said it.

It wasn’t the word itself that stung, Lily thought, looking into the fire in the Gryffindor common room a few nights later. They had had their last exam that morning, and Lily had managed to keep her mind off the incident on the grounds by throwing herself into her studies. But now, with O.W.L.s over, her trunk packed, and only a few more nights until the start of summer holidays, she had nothing to do but think.

She’d never been one to take offense at verbal insults. It was something she’d had to get past; ever since she had started at Hogwarts, Petunia had grown more and more vicious, calling her a freak every time their parents weren’t around. Lily could hold her own.

So it wasn’t the word “Mudblood” that had upset her. She had heard it before from the Slytherins, and brushed it off. It was the fact that it was Severus who had used it. They had had each other’s backs since even before Hogwarts. She had defended him to her Gryffindor friends, and had thought that he was doing the same for her in Slytherin. But what kind of friend turned savage in a crowd like that? Even James Potter, she knew, considered it the height of dishonor to betray a friend.

Lily stared broodingly at the fire, and slumped lower in her armchair. The common room was deserted; most people were packing for the end of term, or catching up on sleep after exams. Even James and his friends were absent; strange, for usually they threw rowdy parties in the common room after exams in order to blow off steam. But as light from the full moon streamed through a nearby window, Lily found she was glad for the silence. Then she started as the portrait of the Fat Lady swung open, and Mary slipped through.

“Lil,” the black-haired girl said tentatively, “Severus Snape’s outside.”

Lily’s faced darkened, and she turned away from her friend. “I don’t want to talk to him,” she hissed.

Mary shrugged. “I don’t blame you for that,” she said, “but he says he’s going to sleep out there if he has to. If I were you, I’d get it over with.”

Lily blinked up at her. Mary patted her shoulder sympathetically, and Lily appreciated the gesture, although she knew that Mary didn’t really understand. She had never approved of Lily’s friendship with a Slytherin.

Sighing, Lily got to her feet and slid out the portrait hole. Severus was indeed sitting there, his back to the wall, arms crossed stubbornly. He jumped to his feet as she moved to stand in front of him, and opened his mouth, but she spoke first.

‘“I only came out because Mary told me you were threatening to sleep here.”

“I was. I would have done. I never meant to call you Mudblood, it just—”

“Slipped out?” There was no pity in Lily’s voice. “It’s too late. I’ve made excuse for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you. You and your precious little Death Eater friends—you see, you don’t even deny it! You don’t even deny that that’s what you’re all aiming to be! You can’t wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?”

He opened his mouth, but closed it without speaking.

“I can’t pretend anymore. You’ve chosen your way, I’ve chosen mine.”

“No—listen, I didn’t mean—”

“—To call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different?”’ (2)

She turned away from him without waiting for an answer, and pushed back into the Gryffindor common room.

---

It was surprisingly easy, she realized over the last few days of their fifth year, to adjust to life at Hogwarts without Severus Snape. Her Gryffindor friends embraced her completely, glad that she was no longer splitting time between them and Severus. She just had to bury the feeling that part of her was missing. She could get through a summer of Petunia’s barbs, without those visits to Spinner’s End. She could start her sixth year fresh. She just had to get used to it, that was all.

She boarded the Hogwarts Express home with Mary, craning her neck to look for a compartment. Ahead of her, Mary gave a triumphant little shout, and pushed open a sliding door. Lily peered inside and hesitated. The compartment contained the other Gryffindor fifth years—including James Potter and his friends.

Lily hadn’t spoken to James since that morning by the lake. While she knew that Severus had been different for a while, that their friendship was already severely damaged, she didn’t think that she could ever forgive James for being the one who showed that to her, or for the cruelty with which he had treated the boy who had been her best friend.

Lily took a deep breath, still teetering between the compartment and the corridor. Then, almost eerily, she felt eyes on her, and looked up to see Severus standing a few feet to her left, his mouth open, as though he was about to speak.

Without a second thought, she turned away from him and entered the compartment. She breezed past James as he looked up at her, sitting instead between Mary and Peter Pettigrew, determined to keep a stiff upper lip the whole train ride home.



1. James/Lily/Snape dialogue, pg 657-648, copyright J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
2. Lily/Snape dialogue, pg 675-676, copyright J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
Hatching Plans by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
Sixth Year, return to Hogwarts!

-----

Lily Evans began her sixth year with a game plan.

She had spent a large portion of her summer break finalizing the details, and was quite satisfied. She had a lot more down time now that she was no longer friends with Severus Snape, and quite a fair amount of that time was spent dodging Petunia.

She said nothing of her plan as she boarded the Hogwarts Express. She and Mary squealed with delight when they saw each other, and found a compartment with the other two Gryffindor sixth years. They gossiped with Leda Wood and Amelia Bones, who had indeed returned to school. She was much more subdued than she had been previous years; the others were careful to avoid the reason she had left school early the last year, but she surprised them by bringing it up herself.

“I suppose Dumbledore told you all the reason Stephen and I left early last spring?”

Lily nodded cautiously. “He said You-Know-Who
”

“Killed my family, yes.” Amelia’s expression was hard. “We don’t really know why—they think that maybe he wanted them to join up, and they refused.”

Leda lay a hand on her best friends arm. “I’m so sorry
” she began, and trailed off, at a loss.

Amelia shrugged, and looked out the window. There was silence for a long moment. Then she said, “And that’s why I think I’ve got to do something about it, you know? I don’t know that I could be an Auror, but I want to do something
I want to make sure that there’s still justice somewhere
”

“What about a career in Magical Law Enforcement, or something?” asked Mary. “Instead of catching the Dark wizards, you can decide their sentences.”

Amelia nodded, considering. “I hope I didn’t get too behind with classwork,” she said, and they hastened to reassure her.

Lily saw someone standing at the door of their compartment out of the corner of her eye, and turned her head. She thought she saw Severus Snape disappear down the corridor, but she couldn’t be sure, so she put it out of her mind.

Night was falling by the time they started to put on their robes. As the neared the castle, Lily grabbed Mary’s arm and pulled her aside.

“Listen,” she said, “I did a lot of thinking over the summer, and I’ve decided that we need to hang out with Potter and his gang more often this year. Maybe start by sitting by them at the banquet tonight?”

Mary clapped her hands delightedly. “Have you finally noticed them?” she said. “I wasn’t sure you’d ever warm up to them! You were quite mean to poor James last year, but I bet if you were nice enough now he’d forget all about that and ask you out again—”

Lily stopped her with a quick shake of her head. “I don’t want to be friends with them,” she said, her eyes smoldering. “I want to bring them down.”

---

A few train cars down, the four Marauders lounged in a compartment together.

“This year,” James was saying, “this year is my year.”

“Your year to do what?” asked Sirius, stretching his arms over his head and yawning. “Invent a broomstick that will reach the moon?”

“Find a way into the girls’ dormitory?” piped in Peter.

Sirius grinned. “Avoid detention for the first week of school?”

“Convince the house elves to serve nothing but dessert?”

“Get Lily Evans to go out with you?”

“Persuade McGonagall to not give us homework?”

Sirius and Peter high-fived, guffawing.

Remus noticed the stricken look on James’s face. “You guys,” he said quietly, “I think you guessed it.”

Sirius shook his shaggy head, snorting. “Nah. Thos things are all impossible.”

“I dunno,” Peter said. “Maybe not the detention thing
”

Sirius tilted his head to the side, considering. “Nope. That too.” Both of them sniggered again.

Remus, with considerable dignity, ignored them. “It’s Lily, isn’t it?” he asked briskly.

James nodded miserably. Sirius was overcome with such an uncontrollable fit of giggles that Peter had to pound him on the back to make him breathe.

“After last year?” asked Sirius. “Sorry mate. You know I love you, but I think it may be time to move on from this Lily Evans fantasy of yours.”

James scowled at him.

“You never know,” Peter said reasonably. “Women want to be treated with kindness and respect. It’s probably not to late for James to redeem himself. Self-confidence is the most important tool when wooing a member of the opposite sex, and a little politeness goes a long way. And don’t forget, a smile is the sexiest thing you can wear.”

The other three stared at him. Sirius raised an eyebrow. “Wormtail thinks you’re sexy,” he informed James.

Peter went scarlet, muttering something about “My mother’s self-help books
knew they were stupid
”

James grinned, but then shook his head. “I will!” he said emphatically. “This year. I can do it.”

Sirius shrugged, looking doubtful. “I don’t know, Prongs,” he said. “Evans seems to go for the upstanding Prefect type. You just aren’t gentlemanly enough for her. I think she’s looking for the kind of guy who opens doors, pulls out chairs, doesn’t play any pranks ever
face it. You just aren’t her type.”

---

“Lily,” Mary hissed as they entered the Great Hall, “I don’t understand! Isn’t this just a little
juvenile? Not to mention, you’ll be breaking about twenty school rules into pieces. I’m always up for a little fun, but
ugh!” she sighed heavily as Lily strode forward towards the Gryffindor table, and plopped herself down, right next to James Potter.

Mary rolled her eyes and sat across from her, between Remus Lupin and Marlene McKinnon.

“Oh!” she exclaimed, noticing the badge on Marlene’s chest. “You’ve been made Head Girl!”

The seventh-year beamed, and opened her mouth to reply. On the other side of the table, Lily had turned towards James.

“Good summer?” she asked.

He looked at her blankly for a moment. “I—um, yeah, I
not bad, yours?”

Behind him, Peter murmured under his breathe, “Smooth.” James aimed a kick at him, but missed, and hit the leg of the table. Plates rattled. Lily seemed not to notice.

“It was all right. Get your O.W.L. scores? How’d that Potions tutoring help?”

“Well, I don’t think even extra lessons with Slughorn could have helped me out on that one, but I passed! Although I think the fact that I finished the exam at all means that I Exceeded Expectations
”

Lily laughed lightly, and James grinned at her. Behind him, Sirius was not even trying to disguise his shock, his mouth hanging open. Remus elbowed him, leaning forward to eavesdrop shamelessly as Lily asked James what classes he was continuing with for his sixth year.

---

Later that night, as Amelia and Leda slept, Lily had hopped onto Mary’s four-poster, jolting her awake.

“All right,” said Lily, brushing her hair out of her face as Mary rubbed her eyes sleepily. “I’ve compiled a list of Ways to Bring Down James Potter and Company.”

Mary looked as though she was about to say something, but Lily ignored this, and kept going. “First, I’ve decided that we need to focus our efforts primarily on James and Sirius. They’re the ringleaders.”

She slid off of the bed and began to pace. Mary wondered how long it would take Lily to notice if she just went back to sleep, and decided not to risk it.

“Our main targets,” Lily was saying now, “are Potter and Black. Our objective: to prank and humiliate them in public, as they have so often pranked and humiliated other people.”

Mary yawned widely, and Lily ignored her. “We are targeting,” she continued, “everything that makes them popular: their charm, their looks—well, Black’s looks anyway, Potter’s already too scruffy—and their friendship with each other.”

Mary blinked doubtfully at her. “You’re going to try to sabotage their friendship?” she asked. “Isn’t that
I don’t know Lily, that just doesn’t seem right.

Lily shrugged uncomfortably, and looked away. “Not permanently or anything,” she said, sitting on the edge of Mary’s bed and sighing. “I just
I need to get even. For everything that happened last year.”

“I know, but like this? Pulling petty pranks, acting like this? Will it really help?”

Lily looked at her for a long minute, then nodded. “It’ll make me feel better at least. And it could be fun! They certainly seem to love it.”

Mary looked unconvinced.

Sev would have been game. The thought popped, unwanted, into Lily’s head, and she scowled. “Come on,” she said, poking Mary. “Are you in or aren’t you?”

Slowly, Mary nodded. Lily grinned wickedly.

---

Lily went down to breakfast early the next morning; she always did on the first Monday of classes. She ate alone, waiting for schedules to be passed out, her mind wandering between the challenges of her upcoming sixth year, and the bout of rule-breaking, prank-pulling mayhem that she intended.

Halfway through a forkful of scrambled egg, she was interrupted by the fluttering of wings close to her face. She jumped; the owl dropped a letter on her plate, and flew away.

It was early for mail call—recovering from her momentary fright, Lily looked around. Most people hadn’t come down for breakfast yet, and no other owls had streamed through the hall. She picked the letter up off her plate and opened.

Lily, it began,

I’ve wanted to apologize for everything that happened at the end of last year so many times, but I haven’t been able to think of a way to get you to listen to me. I don’t blame you—it’s not something I’m proud of. I just wanted a chance to apologize—no excuses, no accusations. I am sorry for it all. I would have liked to be your friend
I hope one day, we still can be.

Lily turned the letter over, looking for a signature; there was none. The bottom of the letter was simply scrawled, Yours.

She gazed upward, almost unconsciously, at the Slytherin table. Severus was conspicuously absent. She shook her head to clear it, shoved the letter in her bag, and turned towards the entrance to the Great Hall; Mary was entering with a sleepy looking Sirius Black. Professor McGonagall was beginning to move down the tables, schedules in hand. Lily learned forward towards her; she had other things to worry about now.
Crimes and Misdemeanors by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
The games begin...

--------

“We’ll be starting small,” James said to Sirius in Charms, later in the week. Sirius looked up at him and nodded, absentmindedly flicking his wand in an attempt to look like he was participating in class. Three feet away, Professor Flitwick’s hair caught fire; the tiny wizard hopped about the room, squealing, as Leda Wood grabbed her wand and shouted “Aguamenti!” A drenched Flitwick attempted to compose himself, his head smoking. Sirius didn’t notice.

“What do you mean, small?” he asked.

“With Lily,” James said patiently.

Sirius sighed heavily, and set down his wand. Turning to face his best friend, he said “James
is she really worth it?”

James faced him, almost defensively. “What do you mean?” he asked.

Sirius tilted his head to the side, considering. “You’re my best friend,” he said carefully, “and I’d do anything for you. But Evans
I don’t know if she’s the girl you think she is. If she can’t see what Moony and Wormtail and I can see, and she just thinks you’re conceited and a bully, then she isn’t the one for you.”

James softened. “Thanks, Padfoot,” he said quietly. Then he added, “Wow, that was like, a whole three minutes of seriousness for you.”

“I know,” said Sirius, mock-shuddering. “Don’t ever make me do that again.”

James grinned and clapped him on the back. But his gaze still strayed to Lily, across the room, who appeared to be concentrating hard on the spell that they were learning. “But I’m not giving up quite yet,” he murmured.

---

“We’ll be starting small,” Lily was saying to Mary in that same Charms class, half a room away from James and Sirius.

“Small with what?” Mary asked with a sigh, one eye on her Charms book.

“Pranking Potter,” Lily said. “Just something little to start off with, to see what we can get away with.”

“What do you have in mind?” Mary asked, curiosity seeming to get the best of her disapproval.

“Wink Jinx!” said Lily, grinning.

There was a pause. Then Mary deadpanned, “That’s really clever Lily. You’ll be able to make them wink at people whenever you want. They’ll be the laughingstock of the school soon for sure.”

Lily shook her head, unflustered. “It’s all in the timing,” she said. “I’ll let you know when it happens.”

Mary shrugged, and turned back to her Charms book.

---

Later that day, as the sixth years were finishing up with a particularly difficult Transfiguration class, Lily got her chance.

They had had their first essay due that day, and as Lily was pulling her scroll out of her bag to be collected, she overheard a whispered conversation between James and Sirius.

“Why didn’t you remind me that this was due?” James was hissing at Sirius, who, in turn, looked indignant.

“I’m not your bloody homework planner, mate,” Sirius said defensively. “And I didn’t think you’d be daft enough to forget the first assignment of the year! Especially for Transfiguration.”

“I’ve just been so busy,” James said miserably. “Being Quidditch Captain is more work than I thought it would be, plus, you know, everything else
”

Sirius shrugged. “So go explain to McGonagall,” he said. “She’s tough, but she knows you’re one of the best Transfiguration students of the year—and that’s without even knowing about your prongs, Prongs!”

What? thought Lily, feeling vaguely as though the remark was obscene.

A few seats below her, James just shrugged miserably. McGonagall waved her wand, and the class’s essays flew towards her.

Lily filed out of the room with the rest, but slipped behind the door to watch as James, now the lone student in the classroom, tentatively approached McGonagall.

“Um, Professor,” she heard him say quietly, and smirked as she heard McGonagall’s brisk reply.

“Yes, Potter?”

“It’s—it’s about my essay, Professor,” he stammered.

“What about it?” McGonagall asked sharply. “You know I do not accept late homework, Potter, so if your essay is not in this pile
”

“Well, it isn’t, exactly, but Professor, there were circumstances!”

“I’m sorry, Potter,” McGonagall said, “but I make no exceptions.”

Through the crack in the door that was her hiding place, Lily saw James step forward, and Professor McGonagall looked up at him. Seizing her opportunity, Lily whipped out her wand and aimed it, not without some vindictiveness, at James Potter’s rakish, smug, and swollen head.

“Conixi!” she whispered, and grinned as he winked roguishly at Professor McGonagall.

McGonagall swelled in anger. “Potter,” she said, her voice dangerously calm, “did you just wink at me?”

He gaped at her. “No!” he cried, smiling lightly. “Of course not, Professor—”

”Conixi!” whispered Lily again, and James tipped McGonagall another enormous wink.

“Detention, Potter,” Lily heard McGonagall say coolly, “for blatant disrespect of authority.”

Her mischief managed, Lily grinned smugly to herself, slipped out from behind the door, and skipped to the Great Hall for lunch, where Mary was waiting for her.

---

“Well, Padfoot,” James said glumly, when he finally made it down to lunch, “I guess you were right. It’s impossible for me to get through the first week without a detention.”

“It seems a bit harsh, mate,” Sirius said sympathetically, patting him on the shoulder. Across from them, Remus nodded in agreement, his brow furrowed.

“McGonagall’s tough,” he said slowly, “but she’s never been unfair. You’d think failing you on the homework you didn’t turn in would be enough, but she had to add a detention on top of it?”

“Ah, well,” James said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat, “the detention may have been for something else
”

“Wha’ for?” asked Peter from down the table, his mouth bulging with the last of his lunch.

“Um,” said James, “I think the words she used were ‘blatant disrespect of authority
’”

Sirius and Peter guffawed, and Remus teetered between looking amused and looking stern. “What did you do?” he asked severely.

“Winked at her?” James said, wincing.

Sirius stopped laughing instantly. “What possessed you?” he asked, horrified.

“I don’t know!” James yelped. “I didn’t even know I did it! But it wasn’t on purpose, either time!”

“You did it TWICE?” thundered Sirius. A group of girls at the Ravenclaw table looked up, giggling, and Peter made shushing motions at Sirius.

“I’m telling you,” said James, sounding frustrated, “I didn’t do it on purpose. It was almost like I was jinxed or something
”

Sirius waved away this idea with a flick of his hand. “You weren’t jinxed,” he said. “You couldn’t have been. Who could out-trick the tricksters of this school?”

“You just can’t admit that you’re secretly in love with McGonagall,” said Peter, with an uncharacteristically straight face that caused Remus to choke on the end of his treacle tart as he tried not to laugh.

James threw a roll at Peter, who caught it. “Thanks,” he said, grinning, and bit in.

Sirius grinned again, and ruffled James’s hair. James scowled at him.

---

Lily allowed herself some time to gloat over her success before resuming her schemes. One Saturday in late October, she shook Mary awake.

Mary turned away from her, pulling a pillow over her face.

“Lily,” she said, her voice muffled, “I don’t even want to know what time it is right now. What are you doing?”

“Potions!” said Lily cheerfully. “Come on.”

Mary pulled her pillow off of her face and blinked up at her. “Lily,” she said calmly, “it’s God-knows-what time in the morning. On a Saturday, no less. I’m not doing homework.”

“It’s not homework,” Lily said.

“What is it then?” asked Mary suspiciously, sitting up.

“You’ll see!” Lily sang, skipping away. She was counting on Mary’s curiosity getting the best of her, and sure enough, she heard a grumbling Mary slip out of bed and follow her down the stairs.

Lily led her friend down through the castle, eerily empty so early in the morning, to Slughorn’s classroom, and slipped inside.

Mary followed her in, running a hand through her hair and yawning. “You could have at least told me why you dragged me all the way down here—” she started to say, and then stopped at the sight of Lily adding ingredients to a cauldron.

“Those are Ashwinder eggs,” she said slowly.

“Yes,” said Lily, just as evenly, dropping them into the potion.

“You’re making a love potion.”

“Yes,” said Lily again.

There was a long pause, and then Mary squealed loudly, causing Lily to jump so violently she almost overturned the potion.

“I’m so excited!” Mary babbled. “I was worried, you know, when you dragged me out of bed this morning that it might be for another silly prank, but I’m glad to see that you’ve moved on from childish games like that, and onto things that matter!”

Lily sighed heavily, and began to stir the potion.

“But won’t you get in trouble?” Mary asked. “I mean, love potions aren’t exactly, you know, allowed.”

Lily shrugged. “I asked Professor Slughorn if I could use his classroom to do extra practice work,” she said. “He didn’t question it.”

“Oh, of course not, he loves you,” Mary said. “But Lily, I think this is the part where I tell you that you wouldn’t have any trouble getting boys if you’d just talk to them. You don’t really need a love potion, you know that right?”

Lily waved her away. “I don’t care about boys,” she said, “and this potion isn’t for me.”

Mary’s face fell. “Oh
” she said hesitantly. “Who’s it for then?”

Lily grinned. “Sirius Black.”

“Um, Lily
.you may not have noticed this, but he tends to not have trouble in that department
”

“He’s going to drink it,” Lily said. “He’s going to drink all of it, and become mysteriously infatuated with James Potter.”

Mary’s mouth dropped. “Lily,” she said quietly, “that’s horrible. And
sort of brilliant.”

Lily’s grin widened. “It should be fun.”

Mary nodded fervently. “I can’t wait to see,” she said. “But after this
you’ll let it go, right?”

Lily peered at her. “If they’ve learned their lesson,” she said softly.

Mary bit her lip and was quiet for a moment before saying “All right then. What do we need?”

“Most of it’s done,” Lily said, pulling the spoon she had been using to stir out of the cauldron. “All I need now is some of Potter’s hair. Preferably off his head, instead of a brush or something—it’s better if it’s fresh, and we want to make sure it’s him. And then, of course, a way of getting Black to drink it.”

Mary nodded. “I’ll take care of getting it to Sirius,” she said. “You just need to get the hair from James.”

Lily shrugged hopelessly. “I have no idea how I’m going to do that,” she said. “Hopefully it’ll work out
I’m going to bottle this potion now though, to have it on hand. Just in case the opportunity presents itself.”

Mary nodded, and began to help her clean up.

As Lily was returning the extra ingredients to the student supply cupboard, she heard someone behind her. She happened to be, at that moment, standing on the very top rung of the ladder, trying to squeeze the rosemary leaves back into their place, when she heard the door swing open. Startled, she twisted around to see who was coming in, and slipped backwards off the ladder.

It was a short fall, but in the seconds before she hit the ground, Lily closed her eyes, and braced herself for the collision. Much to her surprise, the surface she crashed against was soft—and breathing.

She scrambled to her feet, already apologizing, and turned to catch a glimpse of the boy who was sprawled on the floor at her feet. She blinked hesitantly.

“Sev?”

He scowled up at her. “What are you doing in here, Lily?” he asked roughly.

She glared back at him, hands on hips, immediately on the defensive. “Extra Potions work,” she snapped. “Why are you here?”

“None of your business,” he barked.

She rolled her eyes. Then she looked at him, still on the ground, and sighing, stepped forward and offered him her hand.

He looked at it, then up at her. For a moment, they just looked at each other—half warily, half hopefully—but before Severus could move, one way or the other, the door to the storeroom burst open.

“Lily, what’s taking you so—” Mary asked, stopping abruptly at the sight of them. “Oh,” she said, her lip curling slightly.

Snape scoffed, and turned away from Lily, getting to his feet. “Good luck with your extra Potions,” he said scathingly, and walked out the door.

Lily sighed heavily. “Come on,” she said to Mary, and followed him out the door.

“What just happened in there?” Mary asked, catching up to Lily.

“Nothing! He came in when I was putting the rosemary back. Knocked me over. It’s the first time we’ve spoken in months.”

“You’re not going back to being friends with him again, are you?” asked Mary suspiciously.

“Hardly,” Lily said. “That was barely a civil conversation.”

They turned the corner, and she groaned. “Oh, speaking of civil
”

Snape was striding down the corridor a few feet before them, looking at the floor, oblivious to the fact that he was about to run into half the Gryffindor Quidditch team, muddy from practice. At the head of the pack was James Potter. Lily saw his hand twitch to his pocket, fingers already closing around his wand at the sight of Severus, but then he looked up, and his eyes met Lily’s. He let go of his wand, and—she wasn’t sure if he even realized what he was doing—held both his hands in the air, palms up, empty.

Snape glanced up, finally, and saw the team. Hissing, he veered right, turning down a corridor that led to the dungeons. The whole exchange had taken less than a few seconds—Lily wasn’t sure anyone else had even noticed. Mary certainly hadn’t—the tiny girl skipped from Lily’s side towards the team, where she linked arms with Leda Wood, who played Keeper. She gave Lily a meaningful look over James Potter’s shoulder, and Lily saw her chance.

“Potter,” she said, trying to sound as severe as possible. She almost laughed as he jumped, and looked at her guiltily.

“Evans.”

She walked towards him. “Come here,” she said, sighing. “You have mud in your hair.”

She lifted her hand to brush the dirt from his messy black hair. The position brought her uncomfortably close to him, but it had the desired effect—he didn’t notice as she subtly yanked a few hairs from his head, and slipped them into her robes.

“That’s better,” she said, turning away from him to follow Mary and Leda, and the rest of the Gryffindor team, who had started back to the tower ahead of them.

“Wait, Evans,” she heard James say from behind her.

She stopped walking, but didn’t turn around. In a moment he was by her side, looking inquisitively down at her. “Why are you being so nice to me this year?” he asked.

Startled, she said, “I’m not,” and started walking again.

“Yes, you are,” he insisted, keeping pace with her. “The casual conversations at meals. You’re civil when we get partnered together in class. I thought that after last year, you wouldn’t even stand to be in the same room with me—”

She shook her head, remaining silent for a few minutes, unsure of what to say. They reached the entrance to Gryffindor Tower, and James darted forward to give the password, holding the portrait open for her. She climbed inside. It was still relatively early, and the common room was deserted.

She heard James clamber in behind her, and she turned to face him.

“About last year,” she said, choosing her words carefully, “I’ve moved on. I’m not angry about what happened anymore.”

His grin was infectious—she almost didn’t want to continue.

“But,” she said, and his smile faded, “I won’t forget it. And I’m not sure I can forgive. You haven’t changed, Potter, and don’t try to tell me that you have. I saw you, back in the corridor. You would have hexed Severus if I hadn’t been there. It doesn’t matter how nice you are to me—you’re still arrogant and a bully.”

She turned on her heel, heading up the stairs to the girls’ dormitory, leaving him behind her, now more determined than ever to add the final ingredient to her potion.
Close Encounters by Willow Rosenberg
The next morning, Lily headed down to breakfast with a small vial of the potion tucked inside her pocket. She sat down beside Mary, surreptitiously sliding the bottle into her friend’s hand. Mary took it without a blink, still carrying on a conversation with the seventh-year on her other side.

They were talking about Quidditch. Lily tried to listen as they debated Gryffindor’s chances this season, but she never had been able to get into the sport, and her mind soon drifted. Quite by accident, her gaze landed on Snape, where he sat at the Slytherin table with Mulciber. Looking at them, she felt a strange mixture of sadness and repulsion, She was musing about her last, brief encounter with Severus, when an owl landed in front of her.

The scroll on its leg had her name on it—she untied the parchment carefully, and unfurled it. She recognized the handwriting instantly—it was the same that had been on the anonymous letter she had received weeks before.

Lily, this one began,

So I guess you may never forgive me. And maybe that means we can’t be friends. But I just can’t let you go like that. It’s not in my nature to give up.
I guess it’s pretty obvious who this is. But on the off chance that it isn’t, and you won’t be throwing these away without reading them, I’m going to keep writing. Something about knowing that you’ll at least hold them keeps me going.

That was it. Lily turned the letter over, looking for more, but there was nothing. She glanced up at the Slytherin table, almost unconsciously, but Severus was gone.

“What’ve you got there, Evans?” asked Sirius Black, appearing suddenly to slide between Mary and Lily. Remus Lupin slipped quietly into the seat on Lily’s other side, with James Potter and Peter Pettigrew seating themselves on the other side of the table.

“Nothing,” Lily said, hastily shoving the letter into her bag.

“Since when is ‘nothing’ shaped like parchment?” Sirius asked, raising an eyebrow. “Looks like someone’s got an admirer!”

Lily blushed, hating herself for it as he crowed with laughter. But as embarrassed as Lily was, the well-timed distraction gave Mary her chance—out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw Mary empty the vial into Sirius’s goblet.

“Oh, leave her alone, Padfoot,” Lily heard Remus say from her right. She threw him a grateful glance, but Sirius kept speaking.

“No, no,” he said. “If Evans has a secret lover, then I want to hear about it.” He took a long drink from his goblet, and slung an arm around her shoulders. “Come on, Evans,” he said. “We’re all friends here.”

“We’re really not,” she said, ducking under his arm.

He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped suddenly as James snapped, “Back off, Sirius.”

Both Lily and Sirius looked up in surprise. Lily, however, was amused to see that it was now Sirius’s turn to blush.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” he stammered. “You know I’m just playing around, James
”

Mary caught Lily’s eye over Black’s head.

It’s working, she mouthed.

Lily winked. It was indeed.

---

James did not, at first, realize the severity of his best friend’s suddenly strange behavior. Sirius just seemed more attentive than usual—sitting beside him at meals, insisting they partner up in class. James just assumed it was backlash from the spat they had had that morning.

It wasn’t until the next morning that he realized something was wrong—he woke up, and Sirius was sitting on the side of his bed, staring down at him.

James yelped, and clutching the bedcovers to his chest, scrambled to the opposite end.

“Sirius!” he choked. “What are you doing?”

Sirius beamed at him. “You just look so peaceful when you sleep,” he said, reaching out and putting his hand on top of James’s.

James fell off the bed.

A concerned Sirius hoped over the four-poster in a flash, and knelt by James. Wincing, James started to sit up, but Sirius pushed him back down. “Don’t move!” he said authoritatively, “You may have hurt yourself. Can you breathe? Does anything hurt? Do you need a kiss to make it better?”

“Not from you,” said James grouchily, edging away from him, until Sirius pushed him down again, his hands firmly planted into James’s chest.

“Get off of me, Padfoot!” James squealed, squirming.

“What’s going on over there?” came the voice of a sleepy Remus.

“Nothing!” James called back, and seized the opportunity to knee a distracted Sirius in the abdomen.

Sirius squealed, and James sprang to his feet and dashed out of the dorm, hiding in the common room until it was safe to return.


He tried to avoid Sirius for as much of the day as possible—a task that proved easier said than done when it came to classes. He coerced Remus and Peter into partnering up with him when need be and sat at least three seats away from Sirius at all times. At the end of Transfiguration, however, he glanced inadvertently to his left to see Sirius staring sloppily at him from halfway down the row. Sirius’s wand was hanging limply from his hand, and he appeared not to notice the heart-shaped bubbles that drifted lazily from its tip. Without hesitating, James scooped up his books and ran from the classroom, ignoring McGonagall, who was shouting his name.

He dashed wildly around the corner, realizing that he perhaps had only moments before Sirius chased after him. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a broom closet, the door ajar, and without stopping to think, threw himself inside.

He pushed the door closed, catching his breath as he peered through the small crack between it and the doorframe. After a moment he heard footsteps, and he braced himself, ready to barricade the door against Sirius if need be.

But the person who turned the corner wasn’t his best friend—far from it. James hesitated a fraction of a second, and then he moved.

---

Lily was not particularly used to boys jumping out at her from broom closets, and she was even less accustomed to being stuffed unceremoniously inside one. She wrenched herself away from the boy-shaped patch that had pulled her into the dark closet, and snarled, “What on earth is going on he—”

He cut her off, hissing, “Stop talking! You have to be quiet!”

Lily’s eyes narrowed in the near-darkness as she recognized the voice. “James Potter, that better not be you,” she said, not bothering to keep her voice down.

She heard him sigh huffily, and then, without warning, his clamped his hand over her mouth. She let out a muffled, indignant squeal, but he didn’t let go; she was suddenly uncomfortably aware of how close he was. Her back was against the far wall of the closet, and he was pressed against her front, one hand over her mouth, the other braced against the wall beside her head. She could feel every contour of his body. And she was irritated.

“Get off of me,” she whispered as she wrenched her head away from his hand and shoved him in the chest. There wasn’t much space for him to retreat to—one backwards step, and he was against the closet door, blocking her way out. Lily’s eyes had adjusted to the darkness enough that she could make out his outline, and she watched him warily as she said, “I’ll keep my voice down if you explain to me what I’m doing in here.”

She heard him sigh softly again, and then he said, “It’s Sirius.”

She was startled for a moment—she’d half thought that this was some misguided attempt to ask her out again—but, knowing what she knew about Sirius’s condition, she wasn’t that surprised. “What about Sirius?” she asked James, playing along.

“Something’s
wrong with him,” James said heavily, and she imagined him running a hand through his hair, as she knew he was apt to do when frustrated. “I think
you can’t laugh at me, but I think he swallowed a love potion.”

She didn’t laugh, since she knew it was true, but feigned curiosity instead. “Why?” she asked. “Who’s he in love with?”

“Um,” James said, shifting uncomfortably, “well, me.”

This time, she did laugh—as derisively as she could. “That’s just like you, Potter,” she sneered. “You think the whole world is in love with you.”

“Look, Evans,” he said, and there was desperation in his voice. “I know you don’t like me. But please, I’m begging you. You have to help me. Can’t you brew up an antidote or something?”

The pleading edge activated Lily’s guilt reflex. This whole situation was her fault, after all, even if James didn’t know it. She sighed, silently cursing her conscience. “Now that you mention it, I have noticed him acting strangely around you,” she said carefully. “But Potter, it just seems like a garden variety love potion. Honestly, the effects should wear off by the end of the day.”

James seemed to sag in relief, and started to push open the closet door. “So what you’re saying is, all I have to do is avoid him for the next couple of hours?”

“Shouldn’t be too hard,” Lily said kindly, actually smiling at him as he stepped aside to let her exit first.

She turned to look at him, wanting to say something else but not quite sure what, and noticed that he looked stricken. “Might be harder than it sounds,” he gulped.

She whirled around to see Sirius standing there, looking murderous.

---

“James?” Sirius said, sounding wounded. “What were you doing in a broom closet? And with her?” He looked at Lily menacingly, and gave a very doglike snarl. Lily looked alarmed.

James swore silently, and slowly took a step towards her. “Any bright ideas?” he muttered under his breath.

She looked at him “Yeah, I got one,” she hissed back. “Run!”

They bolted down the hall, leaving a startled-looking Sirius behind them. James knew they had only moments before Sirius began to pursue them, and prayed silently that his best friend still had enough sense left that he wouldn’t transform into the great black dog and try to track them.

“Where,” panted Lily from his side, “are we going to go, anyway?”

James thought fast, and a lifetime of mischief did not let him down. “Kitchens,” he said with finality.

Lily stopped running and looked at him incredulously. Her face was red, her tangle of red hair coming loose and falling about her face, and in some distant part of his mind, James registered, as he had before, just how lovely she was. Even if she was, as usual, scolding him.

“Be reasonable, James. Do you even know where those are?” she said.

He registered the familiar use of his first name, and grinned. “I do,” he said, “and they aren’t far from here. But we have to run now.”

She rolled her eyes, but didn’t resist, sprinting behind him down the hall.

---

Lily was impressed despite herself when James led her into the kitchens, but she tried not to show it, not wanting to give him the satisfaction. She was surprised, too, of how fond the house-elves seemed to be of James. They swarmed around him, offering plates of Ă©clairs and treacle tart. He grinned—that lopsided, self-assured smile that Lily usually hated—but then he unloaded the house-elves of their trays, protesting as they tried to get more.

Lily sidled up to him. “Are they like this with everyone?” she asked in an undertone.

He turned that rakish grin to her. “Nah,” he said, “they hate Sirius.”

Her eyebrows went up. “Really.”

“Oh yeah, that’s why we’re safe here. They won’t let him in without me,” James said, then raised his voice. “Right, Blinken?”

A house-elf hovering near his left squeaked, “Right, Master James!”

Lily raised her eyebrows even higher. Master? she mouthed at James, who shrugged, then winked.

“Hey Blinken,” he said to the house-elf, “come meet Lily.”

The beaming Blinken scurried forward to shake her hand as she looked him up and down. He was wearing the usual Hogwarts house-elf uniform, but perched on top of his head was a lampshade, with holes cut in it for his sizable ears.

“Blinken likes hats,” James informed her.

“I see that,” Lily said dryly, and then, because she was curious, she asked, “Blinken, why don’t you like Sirius?”

Blinken scowled. “He is always running around breaking dishes and mixing up meals. He demands food just before meals. He tries to get us to order firewhiskey for him. And the other day—”

The house-elf’s voice had grown more and more high-pitched as he became more enraged, and now it was so squeaky that Lily couldn’t understand him. She glanced sideways at James, who, it turned out, was already looking at her in amusement.

“Sirius plays pranks on them,” he translated.

“Oh, like you don’t?” she countered.

James opened his mouth indignantly, but before he could speak, Blinken abruptly stopped his tirade and fixed his gaze on Lily. He took a step forward, and she was surprised, for a moment, by how menacing a three-foot house elf could look.

“Master James is the best in the whole school!” he stated definitively. “He always tries to help us clean up after Sirius—” (Lily noticed he left out the “Master”) “—and he comes to visit us even when there’s no food! And he is very clever.”

Lily turned towards James again, expecting him to look smug, and was shocked to see that he was actually blushing. He looked steadily back at her, and for a moment, she couldn’t think of anything to say. She couldn’t get the image of pampered James Potter, surrounded by house-elves, up to his elbows in dishwater. But instead she asked him, “Clever?”

“Oh, that,” he said modestly. “Well, Sirius likes to play pranks on them
I’ve been teaching them to play pranks back.”

“Like what?” Lily asked, startled.

“Remember at dinner the other day when Sirius turned into a sheep for about five minutes?”

“Hard to forget.”

“That was us.”

Lily stared at him for a moment. “How?” she asked.

“Oh, you know,” James shrugged. “Enchanted one of the shepherd’s pies. And then Blinken marked it up special, so I could recognize it, and set it so that, when the food appeared, it would be by our end of the Gryffindor table. All I had to do was make it get onto Sirius’s plate.”

“Wow,” said Lily, a little jealous—her pranking experience was limited, and he was far from amateur.

“Yeah, I’m easing them into it,” he said, looking up at her. Then, misreading her awestruck expression, he said, “Aw come on, Evans, you don’t disapprove, do you? Because you know you love it. A little mischief makes things exciting.”

She turned away before he could see her smile, thinking, Don’t I know it.

After a pause, Lily heard him rise. “I think the coast is clear,” he said, walking over to stand beside her. He looked down at her—she hadn’t ever realized he was quite this tall—and said, “Blinken would’ve warned us if he was waiting outside, and Moony’s probably caught up to him by now anyway.”

She looked at him. His hair was as scruffy as ever, but his hazel eyes were clear. He was awfully close.

Flustered, she stepped away, and said, “Why do you call him that, anyway?”

“Who?” James asked, confused.

“You meant Remus Lupin, right? When you said Moony? You guys have all those weird nicknames for each other
”

“Oh, right,” he said. “Yeah, that’s Remus.”

“Why do you call him that?” she asked.

He laughed lightly. “You probably wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” he said.

“Try me,” Lily challenged.

“Maybe someday,” he said with that infuriating half-smile.

“Oh come on,” said Lily. “What’s yours again, anyway?”

He hesitated for a minute. Then, “Prongs,” he said, and dropped an enormous wink, before pushing past her towards the door of the kitchens.

She stood there for a moment, open-mouthed. Cheeky, she thought, before following.

They made their way to the Gryffindor common room in relative silence. James was jumpy, checking for Sirius around every corner, and Lily was thoughtful, going over the events of the day in her head. It was ironic, she thought, how her own attempt at playing pranks had led them to this.

They arrived in the common room to find it nearly deserted—it was late afternoon, Lily realized, and most people had started heading down for dinner. She turned towards the stairs to the girls’ dormitory with half a mind to look for Mary, but at the foot of the stairs, stopped and looked back over her shoulder. James was, once again, watching her.

“What?” she snapped, her voice coming out harsher than she meant it, and she saw him wince. “I’m sorry,” she said softly. “But you know, James, just because we had this
experience together doesn’t mean that I suddenly like you now, or that we’re friends.”

She didn’t know what she expected him to do, but it certainly wasn’t what he did—he just stood there, smirking at her.

“What?” she asked briskly.

“I don’t believe you,” he said.

She threw her hands up. “Why not?” she asked. “And stop leering at me!”

“Because,” he said calmly, still smiling smugly, “you just called me James.”

Lily sighed in exasperation, and whirled around to head up the stairs.

“You aren’t denying it!” he called after her.

She didn’t look back, but as she turned the corner at the top of the stairs, he could swear he saw her smile.

---

James headed towards his own dormitory, still smiling. When he reached the door, however, he bit his lip, and pushed it open slowly.

Sure enough, Sirius was inside, sitting on his four-poster. Sirius saw James and got to his feet—James thought about slamming the door and running, but stopped at Sirius’s expression. He looked horrified.

James eyeballed him. “Are you better?” he asked cautiously.

Sirius opened and closed his mouth a few times, before finally saying softly, “I am so sorry.”

James just looked at him for another long moment. Sirius looked back worriedly, until finally James’s straight face broke. He sniggered, and clapped his friend on the shoulder—Sirius looked relieved and then huffy.

“Don’t worry about it,” James said, walking over to his own bed and flopping down on it. Sirius surveyed him, his arms crossed.

“You’re taking this all very well,” he said suspiciously.

James, flat on his back, linked his hands behind his head. “What can I say,” he said, unable to keep the smile off his face, “I had a good day.”
Alliances by Willow Rosenberg
Winter had begun to creep across the grounds, bringing with it faint anticipation and excitement for the holidays. The Marauders were in fine form these days—the first real snowfall of the year found them outside, throwing snowballs at each other and anyone who passed by. Remus bewitched one snowball to target Sirius—it continually hit him in the face and reformed. Sirius retaliated by turning Remus into a giant icicle. Once he had unthawed, Remus enchanted a snowman to chase Sirius around the grounds. It got confused, however, and tackled Professor McGonagall who, while siphoning the moisture from her robes with her wand, gave all four of them detention, despite James and Peter’s indignant protestations that they, like her, were merely innocent bystanders.

Despite this, James especially was cheerful. He was looking forward to going home for the holidays—he was, as always, bringing Sirius with him—and his Quidditch team was doing well; they had won their first match of the season against Slytherin by a landslide, and were in high spirits during their training sessions. And more than that, Lily Evans was still speaking to him.

For all that she had claimed to dislike him, Lily no longer seemed to be going out of her way to avoid him. She had given him a hand several times in Potions over the past few weeks when he had been struggling, and the other day in Herbology she had been friendly when they were paired to the same Snargaluff stump—although she had reverted to calling him “Potter” instead of by his surname, she wasn’t ignoring him altogether. And when a nearby Venemous Tentacula had seized him rather surprisingly around the arm, she had quite savagely helped him beat it off with a pair of pliers. And while she didn’t seem inclined to want to start dating him anytime soon, he reassured himself with the fact that, at least, she wasn’t going out with anyone else, either.

---

“So, Evans, did you see that there’s a trip to Hogsmeade scheduled for next weekend?”

Lily nodded absently, her attention on the squirming Bubotuber plant in her hands.

“Well, I was thinking you might want to go.”

“I was planning on it,” she said vaguely, trying to squeeze the pus from the pod into a bowl.

“No, I mean, with me. Like a date.”

The pod shot from her hands and landed on the floor a few feet away, where it lay still. She eyed it suspiciously for a second, before turning her gaze to the boy who stood in front of her, blowing a strand of loose hair from her face as she did so.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “What did you say?”

“I was wondering,” Isaac Smith, a sixth-year Hufflepuff, said slowly, “if you wanted to go to Hogsmede with me next weekend. On a date.”

Surprised, Lily just stared at him for a second. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed James Potter, who had been struggling with the Bubotuber next to hers, go suddenly still.

Isaac was still standing in front of her expectantly. Tall, blonde, and broad-shouldered, he was good-looking enough, but Lily had always found him a little pompous, and far too eager to show off.

“Oh,” she said, choosing her words carefully. “Thanks for asking. But I was just really planning on going with Mary, you know, and I’m not really looking for anyone to date right now
”

She trailed off as he snorted derisively. “Sure,” he said. “Or maybe it’s just that the perfect Lily Evans is too good for any normal boy.”

“What?” she asked, hurt and startled. “No, it’s not that at all—”

He cut her off, saying, “Or maybe there’s something else wrong with you. Pretty girl like that, no boyfriend—maybe it’s just that filthy Mudblood stench coming through.”

Lily blinked. It was a word she had grown to expect from the Slytherins, and it hardly bothered her. But somehow, coming from a Hufflepuff, it felt much more like a slap in the face. She darted a quick glance to her right and saw James Potter tense; beside him, Sirius was staring at Isaac with a look of deep disgust on his face. Remus Lupin looked furious, and even little Peter Pettigrew was clutching his wand tightly.

She felt a strange and unfamiliar rush of affection for all of them—despite whatever differences they had had in the past, or still had, they were there, on her side. Whether it was as Gryffindors or—maybe—as friends, they had her back. Encouraged by this, she turned to face Isaac.

“You don’t take rejection well, do you Smith?” she asked coolly. Most of the students, Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors alike, were paying rapt attention to their dialogue. Mary, who was seated just to Lily’s left, inhaled sharply as Isaac Smith barked a short, scornful laugh and turned away. Lily shook her head and started to bend back over her Bubotuber as Smith stopped in front of the pod she and dropped, and, with one last look at her, deliberately stomped on it.

Pus squirted from the tuber. Lily threw her arms in front of her eyes at the last second, causing some of the pus to spatter all over her dragon-hide gloves instead of her face. But a fair amount hit the bare skin on her forearms where the gloves didn’t quite reach, and some landed on her neck and the lower half of her face. Large welts rose there almost instantly, and Lily whimpered unintentionally against the pain.

There was a moment of complete silence as everyone in the greenhouse, including Professor Sprout, stared at Lily in amazement. Then Mary gasped, her hand flying to her mouth, and James Potter sprang from his seat, Sirius Black half a second behind him. The two of them tackled Isaac Smith, fists flailing and wands forgotten.

The sight seemed to jolt Professor Sprout into action—pulling out her wand, she shouted “Petrificus Totalus!” and the three of them were blasted apart, limbs locked to their sides. She cast them one disparaging glance before sweeping over to a motionless Lily.

“Class dismissed,” she said, before departing for the hospital wing. Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors alike shuffled out in her wake, leaving the three boys lying on the floor behind them.

---

Lily woke suddenly in the middle of the night to find a dark shape leaning over her.

She reacted without thinking; her fist shot out, and she heard the satisfying sound of impact. And then—“Ouch, Merlin’s beard, Evans, what are you doing?”

The voice was masculine and familiar; raising herself onto her elbows, she said cautiously, “Black?”

He popped up in front of her, making her jump. “Of course it’s me. Who else would be sneaking around the hospital wing in the dead of night?”

Surreptitiously, she rubbed her fist, which was a little sore from hitting his face. “Yes, but what are you doing here?”

“Move over,” he commanded, and she was so startled by the order that she did—a second later, she regretted her compliance as he sat familiarly on the edge of her bed. She tried to look suitably firm. He ignored her.

“To be honest,” he said, “James asked me to come see how you were.”

Lily raised an eyebrow. “Why didn’t he just come himself?”

“Why, did you want him to?”

She scowled and shoved him off the bed. He emerged grinning. “I’ll take that as a yes,” he said cheekily. She started to protest, but Sirius put a finger to his lips and said, “Don’t want to wake Madame Pomfrey!” Lily settled for what she thought was a severe frown.

“Anyway,” Sirius continued, settling himself down beside her again, “he would have come. But he’s in detention all night. Sprout’s totally fierce when it comes to messing around in her greenhouse, as it turns out. Hey Evans, why does your face look like that? Are you constipated?”

Hastily, she tried to rearrange her expression, ignoring his last comment with as much dignity as she could muster. “Why aren’t you in detention, then?” she asked.

He made a face. “She didn’t want me and Prongs doing ours at the same time. Thought we’d have too much fun together. I have to do mine all day Saturday.”

Lily felt a pang of remorse—it was over her that they were in trouble, after all. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “It’s my fault, isn’t it.”

He waved away her apology. “Nah,” he said. “You didn’t make him jump that guy. And you know me. Always itching for some action.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah,” she said. Then, the thought suddenly occurring to her, she asked, “Hey—Smith got in trouble too, right?”

“Oh yeah,” Sirius grinned. “Way more than Prongs and me. He’s got a whole week of detention, and he’s banned from Hogsmeade for the rest of the year.”

“Good,” Lily said smugly, leaning back into her pillows, suddenly very tired. Noticing this, Sirius stood.

“I’d better be going. It’s late. And don’t worry Evans,” he said diplomatically, “your boils look much better already.”

She groaned and pulled the blanket over her head. Then, as she heard him leaving, she remembered something and sat up again. “Wait!” she hissed. “Why do you call him ‘Prongs?’”

He turned and winked at her. “Wouldn’t you like to know?” he asked, and he was gone.

She looked after him, shaking her head. “They’re all the same,” she muttered faintly, and went back to sleep.

---

The weekend came and went, and both Sirius and James had recovered from their detentions—both of which had involved various odd jobs around the greenhouses. They were satisfied to notice, however, that Isaac Smith’s detentions were much more frustrating—when James left his detention, he saw Smith attempting to prune the Venemous Tentacula, and he couldn’t help but grin.

Late Monday night found the four of them sprawled in front of the fireplace as usual, flipping idly through schoolbooks—or, in Sirius’s case, sniggering over a Muggle magazine he’d nicked from a first-year. After awhile, James looked up, and, noticing that the common room was empty, shut his book emphatically.

“Uh-oh,” Remus said, glancing at him.

Peter looked up as well, startled. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“James has a bright idea that’s going to land us all in detention,” Remus said. “Again.”

Peter looked at James. “Oh,” he said. “Oh.”

James frowned defensively. “Well I was just thinking,” he said slowly, “that a week’s worth of detentions just isn’t enough punishment for Smith. He needs something more
”

“Personal?” suggested Remus.

“Humiliating,” said Peter.

“Hot,” breathed Sirius, turning a page of the magazine. The other three looked at him for a moment, and then, as a whole, ignored him.

“Right,” said James, nodding at the other two. “Something he’s not going to forget in a hurry.”

Remus was fidgeting a little uncomfortably—no doubt the Prefect’s badge on his chest was weighing on him—but Peter’s eyes were shining excitedly. “What do you want to do?” he asked eagerly. “Hang him from the roof of the castle?”

“No, no,” said Remus, apparently choosing mischief over order this time. “It’s got to be more subtle than that.”

“Here’s what I was thinking,” James started to say, leaning forward, when someone cleared her throat behind him.

They all turned to look. Lily Evans—apparently fresh from the hospital wing—was leaning against the doorframe of the portrait hole, watching them. They blinked at her guiltily (Sirius quickly shoved the magazine beneath a nearby couch).

“Uh, hey Evans,” James said, trying to grin. “We were just—”

She held up a hand to silence him. “Stow it, Potter,” she said. “I heard what you were saying.”

He leapt to his feet, a little angrily. “Come on, Evans,” he said. “You can’t be threatening to turn us in here. After all, it’s for you that we’re even—”

“I didn’t say I wanted to turn you in,” she interrupted him. “What I was going to say, if you’ll let me finish, is that I want to help you.”

“Oh,” he said, slightly stunned. He sat down again. Sirius was now eyeing Lily approvingly, and Remus was grinning openly. Peter was examining his fingernails.

James moved over, opening the circle to give her a place to sit. She took it.

---

Lily dragged herself down to breakfast the next morning with some effort; she hadn’t gotten to bed until dawn the night before, and it had been difficult to resist the urge to sleep through her morning classes. But her internal Prefect nagged her to get up—with the mischief she was helping to plan, she couldn’t afford to miss class.

Mary was already in the dining hall when Lily entered, and she squealed in delight, moving down the bench to make room for her exhausted friend. Lily slid in beside her, and immediately started looking for the coffee.

“I didn’t even hear you come in last night,” Mary said to her. “I’m surprised Madame Pomfrey let you go so late, instead of just keeping you in for the whole night
she did a fantastic job, though, your face looks totally normal!”

Lily glanced at her dryly. As she did so, she noticed James and Sirius enter the Great Hall. Neither of them looked as tired as she felt, and Sirius was bouncing around like a puppy—whether it was years of running around on little sleep or sheer, irrepressible energy, she didn’t know.

James caught her eye and winked, and she raised her eyebrows in response. She had to admit that she liked the intrigue—the late-night planning, the covert communication, all of it added up to the kind of adventure that she had been searching for when she attempted to prank these boys in the first place. It was what Mary had never had the patience for, and Lily was forced to admit to herself that, when it came to excitement, maybe she had more in common with James Potter than she wanted.

Not, she hastily thought to herself, that she liked him now or anything. Despite his recent acquisition of manners—and despite the fact that she had been enjoying herself in his presence lately—she had seen him hex people for the fun of it, not in the least of which was Severus. And Lily had trouble reconciling that side of him with the side she saw now.

But still, they were awfully good at pranks. She had noticed that last night. Planning with them made her attempts at pranking look feeble and amateur—their kind of mischief was what she had been longing for. Well, she thought, helping herself to a piece of toast, If you can’t beat ‘em


She shook her head to clear it, half-noticing that Mary was still chatting away beside her, when the mail arrived. Lily looked up expectantly. She was still receiving, with some regularity, letters from her mysterious friend, and she looked forward to them. These days, they didn’t have quite the solemnity of the first few; they were lighthearted and funny, and often a bright spot to her day. This morning didn’t disappoint her. Today’s letter was brief—it included a short, mildly amusing joke about a hag, a healer, and a Mimbulus Mimbletonia—but it made her laugh nonetheless, and she pocketed it.

“Who’s that from?” Mary asked curiously, as they got up to walk to class.

Lily hesitated for an instant before answering, “A friend.”

---

A few nights later, and the plan was ready to be set in motion.

Sirius was all for it, and although James would have liked a few more days to plan, he had to admit that the Christmas holidays were only a week away, and they had to get moving. He, Sirius, and Remus were awake in their dorm when Peter returned in the form of a small rat. He turned back into himself, sat on the floor in a daze for a minute, and then stood up.

“Okay,” he said. “I’m done tailing Smith, I think. He has a pretty strict schedule.”

From his four-poster, Sirius snorted. “Of course he does, the ponce.”

Peter ignored him. “He always studies alone in the library until ten, and then he walks back to the Hufflepuff dorms via the passageway by the kitchens, which is pretty much deserted then. That’d probably be the best place to get him”

“Good job, Wormtail,” James said, clapping him on the back. Peter grinned.

“We’ll let Lily know that tomorrow’s the night,” Remus put in. This time, it was James who grinned.

---

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” muttered Lily the next night.

“Ah, come on, Evans,” said James, bumping her with his shoulder. “You’re enjoying yourself.”

She was, actually, although she wasn’t going to admit that to him—especially not when they were both on their hands and knees in a broom cupboard that was barely big enough to hold them. They were squished together, waiting for Sirius’s signal.

“How long do you think it’s going to be?” she whispered, trying unsuccessful to wriggle away from him—his elbow was jabbed unpleasantly into her ribcage.

“Probably any minute now, and stop fidgeting like that, you’re going to knock something over, give the whole game away.”

“Please,” she spat back quietly. “I’m not five, I can sit still. It’s just a little uncomfortable being continuously prodded by you in here.”

“You want to talk uncomfortable? Do you have any idea where your knee is right now?”

“Never tell me. If you could just move a little to your left, I could get this broom handle out of my spine
”

“Okay, I’m trying, I don’t exactly have all the room in the world here.”

They shifted around, ending up more tangled then before. Somehow, Lily ended up with her back to the wall, shoved unceremoniously into a corner. James was braced above her, his hands splayed on the wall, trying to keep both himself and a few brooms from falling over. Lily sighed. “This isn’t working,” she said, looking up at him.

He was so close that, even in the dark, she could see him roll his eyes. “Tell me about it,” he said, slipping a little as he tried to keep his balance.

She laughed softly, and tried to raise herself into a sitting position. “Here,” she said, putting her hands on his chest to gently push him back, trying to maneuver herself around him. “My legs are falling asleep.”

He managed to back up, kneeling, holding onto the brooms for support, as she, with some effort, pushed herself onto her knees as well. Their noses brushed, and she ducked her head almost shyly.

“Hey,” James said, his voice suddenly deeper, gentler. “We always seem to end up on broom closets, don’t we?”

Surprised, she glanced up at him again, laughing again, and for a moment they just looked at each other. And then he was tilting his head, leaning in towards her—or maybe he wasn’t, maybe it was just a trick of the dim lighting—but either way, she wasn’t thinking anymore, just raising her chin, her mouth parted slightly. She could feel his breath on her face, and surely this couldn’t be her imagination—

A stream of red sparks shot under their door, and James leapt to his feet and bolted outside so fast that Lily was sure the last few seconds hadn’t happened. A moment later, he stuck his head back in the closet. “What are you still doing in here?” he asked, grinning. “Come on!”

She got to her feet and dashed after him. The rounded a corner and came face-to-face with Isaac Smith, who blinked at them in confusion for a moment. James flung out his wand, shouting “Incarcerous!,” Lily a beat behind him.

“Ha,” James said, satisfied, as they stared down at the thoroughly bound and gagged body of Smith before them. He held out his hand and Lily, smiling, high-fived him. Together, they dragged Smith around the corner, to a corridor that was more frequently populated during the day. Stretching from one wall to the other was a giant spider web that Remus and Peter had put together while Sirius had stood in the hall, disguised in a suit of armor, watching for Smith. He appeared around the corner as well now, clanking, removing the metal helmet from his head and beaming.

“Well done!” he said to James and Lily. “Now we just got to get him up there.”

It wasn’t, in the end, a difficult task; James and Remus levitated Smith into the center of the web where he stuck, squirming weakly. Then Lily used her wand to embellish the words “Some Pig” over his head. Then they all stepped back to admire their handiwork.

“You know,” Sirius said thoughtfully, “I don’t really get that.”

“The pig thing?” Lily asked, and he nodded. “Don’t worry,” she reassured him. “Some Muggle-borns will. But either way, it still describes him perfectly.”

Sirius admitted that it did indeed, and as one, they turned to walk back towards Gryffindor Tower.

“Oh, wait,” Lily said suddenly, turning around and facing Smith. She pointed her wand at him—the four boys behind her exchanged nervous glances—and then she cried, “Obliviate!”

His eyes slid out of focus for a second, and Lily dashed towards the boys, hauling them around the corner.

“That way,” she said, sounding pleased with herself, “he won’t be able to remember who did that to him to tell on us.”

She walked ahead, and behind her, the Marauders stared at her in amazement.

“How come we never thought of that?” Peter muttered.

“Well, thinking ahead has never really been our strong suit,” Sirius said lightly.

“How many detentions do you think we could have avoided
” Remus mused, and James clapped him on the shoulder.

“Detentions build character!” he cried. “I am thankful for every one. Although,” he paused, “I’m actually okay with not getting another one anytime soon.” The other three chortled.

Ahead of them, Lily stopped and turned around. “Are you guys coming or what?” she called.

“We’re coming,” Remus called back, but James was already running to catch up to her.
Things Fall Apart by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
whoah, hey, this is a long one. enjoy!

------------

The news about the prank pulled on Isaac Smith was already beginning to circulate the next morning when Lily arrived at breakfast, and by the time she arrived in Charms, it seemed as though the whole school knew. As Mary recounted the tale for what must have been the tenth time, Lily found herself smiling, torn between continuing to act surprised and taking the credit. But she soon became distracted by the task in front of her—the teacup that was supposed to be turning cartwheels was resisting her efforts. Occasionally it gave a feeble twitch before settling more firmly onto the table. Frustrated, she glared at it.

“You’re not supposed to jab your wand like that, Evans. It’s more of a flick.”

Startled, Lily looked around, and was only half surprised to see that James Potter had appeared at her shoulder.

“Thanks, Potter, but I can handle myself,” she said coolly.

“I know you can,” he laughed, putting his hands in the air. “I just figured I owed you for all the Potions help.”

She eyed him for a moment before turning back to her teacup, this time flicking her wand. It began to cartwheel across the table, and she was both gratified and annoyed.

“Nice,” James said appreciatively.

She looked back at him. “Why are you over here?” she asked, but there was no bite to it, and he winked at her.

“Well,” he said, “I’ve heard a funny rumor going around about Isaac Smith being stuck to a spider web in a corridor somewhere. Thought you’d be interested to hear about that.”

Lily put her wand down and turned to face him, leaning against the table. “Really,” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“Yep. And no one seems to know who did it. They’re all dying of curiosity.”

“Pity. There’re probably a lot of suspects, you know. I mean, bloke like that. He had it coming.”

“That he did,” James said, easing himself onto the table beside her. He leaned back and his elbow brushed against her arm as he did so. Flustered, she jerked away slightly, involuntarily remembering those moments in the broom closet before Sirius’s signal had come. If James noticed her sudden unease, however, he didn’t mention it.

“You know,” he was saying instead, “the hardest part about pulling off a prank is keeping a secret. I mean, if it’s going to be a real success, you have to stay quiet. No going around to everyone bragging about how brilliant your idea was. You have to keep mum about the whole thing.”

“That’s the part that James here always has trouble with,” Remus said, suddenly appearing between them.

“Why’s that?” asked Lily, laughing.

“Well, it’s his ego, you see,” Remus said seriously. “He just can’t handle pulling off all these brilliant pranks and getting no credit for them. He’s too much of an exhibitionist. So, you know, he’ll hint something to one person, and then maybe brag a little to another, and soon enough the Kneazle’s out of the bag and whoops, there you go, we’ve all landed in detention.”

James, Lily was amused to see, had gone red. “Shut it, Moony,” he muttered. Remus just smiled vaguely at him.

At that moment, Lily’s teacup cartwheeled right off the far edge of the table. Sighing heavily, she walked around to collect and repair the pieces, and as soon as she was out of hearing, James hit Remus furiously on the shoulder. “Why’d you have to say all that?” he asked angrily.

“Ow. And I’m helping you, you prat,” Remus hissed, rubbing his arm.

“How?”

“How many times have you tried to show off for Lily, and when has it ever worked? You need to be humbled a little for her to notice you,” Remus said. Then he added thoughtfully, “And I think it’s good for you in general.”

James scowled at him.

“Oh, Lily’s back,” said Remus. “Just keep that in mind.” And he glided off.

“Keep what in mind?” Lily asked, taking the space that Remus had just vacated.

James shrugged. “Just Moony being Moony,” he said.

Lily rolled her eyes. “Again with the nicknames! Are any of you ever going to tell me what those mean?”

James just looked at her. “It’s more fun if you guess,” he said.

“More fun for you, maybe,” she sighed.

“Well, yeah,” he grinned, and then paused. “Can I ask you something?” he said, suddenly serious.

She glanced over at him, startled by the sudden change. “Of course,” she said without thinking, and then regretted it—this was James Potter. He could be about to ask her any number of things. She braced herself for the worst, and was, once again, surprised by him.

“Why did you say no to Smith?”

“Are you actually asking me that?” Lily said incredulously. “You heard how nasty he got—”

“No, no,” James interrupted hastily. “I meant before that. When he was just asking you out, he seemed nice and normal.”

Lily thought for a moment. “I guess,” she shrugged. “I don’t know though. He was never really my type.”

“Oh, sure,” James laughed, trying not to sound too curious. “If tall, smart, and pretty-boy isn’t your type, Evans, then what is?”

She made a face at him. “Not that,” she said. “It’s just that he always seemed so arrogant to me.”

James snorted inadvertently, and she looked at him, her eyes narrowed. “What?”

“Well,” he said cautiously, “it’s just that that’s, you know, kind of what you say about me.”

“Yeah,” she said absently, flicking her wand at her teacup again to make it cartwheel in small circles.

When she showed no sign of continuing, James grabbed the teacup from the table. Lily made a small noise of indignation.

“Come on, Evans!” he yelped. “You’re not honestly comparing me to Smith?”

“No!” she said, snatching the teacup back. “Not exactly.”

“What do you mean, not exactly?”

She gave a long-suffering sigh. “Well, it’s like Remus said, you know? You are cocky, Potter, you always have been. But it’s a different kind of arrogance.”

He arched an eyebrow at her, and she continued. “You know what you’re good at. And for some reason, you want everyone else to know it, too. So you walk around with this devil-may-care attitude, showing off, and don’t get me wrong, it’s obnoxious. But it’s not condescending like Smith. He’s just so convinced he can do everything better than anyone else, and he clearly can’t take criticism at all. I mean, I never thought you could either, but Remus was over here a minute ago making fun of you, and you seemed just fine with it.”

James looked away. “Well,” he muttered, “only sometimes.”

“It’s enough,” she said seriously. “I mean, really, James. Maybe your head isn’t quite as swollen as I thought it was.”

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. He watched her as she gathered up her belongings, not sure if he felt better or worse.

---

The morning of the last Hogsmede weekend of the term dawned bright but cold. The sun was deceptive—halfway through their walk to the village, Lily and Mary were frozen. They drew their cloaks in tightly, but by the time they got to Hogsmede, they both agreed that the only sensible place to go was the Three Broomsticks.

“Maybe a butterbeer will help warm us up, so we can handle the rest,” Lily said, teeth chattering as she pushed open the door of the pub.

“Maybe there’s no need,” Mary said coyly, walking in the door and eyeing the group of seventh-year Ravenclaws at the bar.

“Oh boy,” Lily said under her breath.

Mary had spotted Marlene Mckinnon at a well-lit table near the middle of the room, and headed towards her, dragging Lily. The older girl greeted them enthusiastically as they sat down.

“So, Marlene,” Mary said, sounding businesslike. “Those Ravenclaw boys at the bar. They’re your year. Tell me about them.”

Lily rolled her eyes apologetically at Marlene, who grinned back at her. “I’ll go grab the drinks,” she said, standing. Mary, who was already involved in a long discussion about the pros and cons about dating outside of Gryffindor, appeared not to notice.

---

A few feet away in a more dimly lit corner of the Three Broomsticks, James, Sirius, and Peter sat together. Peter was fidgeting nervously.

“What’s up with you?” Sirius asked him.

“Full moon always makes me jumpy,” Peter told him. Sirius and James both sniggered.

“Wormtail, you’re not the werewolf,” James pointed out. “Your transformations are completely by choice.”

“Well, yeah,” Peter said. “But it always feels weird without Remus here!”

All three of them looked inadvertently at the empty seat to Peter’s left.

“Yeah,” James admitted. “It does.”

“I hope we’re still going to be able to go tonight, too,” Peter said worriedly. “But it’s so cold out.”

Sirius frowned at him. “We’re not going to let a little thing like cold stop us!”

James elbowed him in the ribs. “Easy for you to say, Padfoot, you’ve got a thick fur coat! Peter and I will probably frozen to death in a snow bank, and you and Remus’ll end up fighting to the death over the first rabbit that runs by.”

Sirius sipped his butterbeer with dignity. “Excuse me,” he said, “but I can control my animal instincts.” Then he choked and started coughing. “Wow, hey!” he said as James pounded him on the back. “Look at that shirt Madame Rosmerta’s wearing! Okay, what do you think? Real or f—”

“Hey, look, Prongs,” Peter interrupted, pointing. “Lily’s here.”

“Oh yeah,” James said, not looking. “I saw her walk in awhile ago.”

Sirius smirked. “Of course you did. I’m surprised you’re not over there right now.”

“You’re not giving up, are you?” asked Peter suspiciously. “I mean, you’ve only been talking about it forever.”

“No!” James said indignantly. “I’m not giving up. I’m just
giving her space. You know. Don’t want to seem too eager.”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “Right,” he said. “Well, while you’re doing that, there’s a whole bunch of Ravenclaws going in for the kill.”

“What?” James asked sharply, swiveling around to look. The table that had, moments ago, contained just Lily, Mary Macdonald, and Marlene Mckinnon was now swarmed with a bunch of seventh-year Ravenclaws, among them the Ravenclaw Quidditch captain. Feeling slightly threatened, James sat up straighter.

“Sure,” Sirius muttered. “Not eager at all.”

---

Lily was bored.

Mary, surrounded by boys, was in her element, and even Marlene, despite her level, Head-Girl personality, could turn on the charm and flirt with the best of them. But Lily had simply never grasped the concept.

Boys were interested in her, she knew that—she had been asked out quite a few times, and she had dated a little bit. But for the most part, she had never really been interested back, and had no desire to actively pursue anything. Most of the time, she just wondered what the point was.
She had a momentary flashback to the other night, waiting in a broom closet to prank Smith, trapped under James Potter. Momentarily bewildered, she shook her head to clear it. Why on earth am I thinking about that? she thought irritably.

She glanced over at her friends. Mary wasn’t showing any signs of wanting to leave, but Lily couldn’t take it anymore. She downed the last of her butterbeer, feeling warm enough now to brave the outside.

“I’ll meet you back here later,” she murmured to Mary, who waved dismissively at her. Feeling only slightly annoyed, Lily stood, pulling her cloak around her shoulders.

Either it had gotten slightly warmer outside or the butterbeer had done the trick, since Lily could now handle the chill of the outside. She wandered around the village, not really sure about where she wanted to go. More out of distraction than anything else, she ended up by the Shrieking Shack, watching the dilapidated building, so stark against the snow, with unease.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps crunching on the snow behind her, and her heart leapt into overtime. She was frowning at the building—normally, she didn’t scare so easily—when she heard an all-too-familiar voice behind her say, “I know what’s in there.”

---

After nearly twenty minutes of listening to Sirius and Peter debate which one of them had a better chance of dating Madame Rosmerta, James got restless. Privately, he thought neither of them would have any luck, ever, but he kept that quiet, instead saying, “She’s too old for either of you.”

“Nah,” Sirius said, considering. “She’s like, mid- to late-twenties. Tops. And I’m—”

“Not even legal yet,” James said. Peter snorted. “And neither are you,” James reminded him.

Both of them looked at him murderously.

“Okay!” James said quickly, standing. “I’m about finished here. I need to go to Zonko’s before we head back up to school, so, uh, I’ll just meet you back here later!” And he scooted off into the cold.

Once at Zonko’s Joke Shop, however, James remembered that he didn’t actually have anything he needed to buy. He browsed the shelves for a few minutes, but nothing really sparked his interest. Bored, he left the store, thinking vaguely about the night that was to come. Despite what he had said to Sirius about the weather, he was itching for a good run, and was looking forward for the night’s full moon. In this mindset—and not without a fair amount of wry amusement—he started off towards the Shrieking Shack. He was so used to seeing it from the inside that he’d almost forgotten the effect it had on people who didn’t know its secrets.

---

“What are you doing here?” Lily asked rudely.

“Oh, sure,” scoffed Severus Snape, staring her down. “Forgotten all about me, I see.”

“Go away, Severus,” Lily said, turning back towards the shack.

“Just because you say so? I don’t think so,” he said, coming to stand right next to her. “If me being here bothers you, then you leave.”

She was actually starting to get cold again, but she wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of leaving. “I was here first!”

The argument sounded childish as soon as she’d said it, but there was no way to take it back. She winced as he smirked at her.

“Of course you were,” he said. She looked away as he continued loftily, “I don’t see your guard around anywhere, Evans.”

He spat out her surname with, it seemed, as much spite as he could muster.

“What are you talking about?” she asked wearily, darting a glance at him.

“Black. Potter,” he said, even more scornfully. “Everyone heard about how they came to your rescue the other day, after Smith apparently insulted you. Gallant, aren’t they?”

“Shut up,” she said, flushing. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, so you’re not friends with them then? Because from what I’ve heard, you’re practically inseparable now. Going to be tying the knot with Potter any day now. You’ve changed, Lily, you really have. And not for the better.”

“Is that what’s got you acting like this?” Lily said furiously, whirling on him. “That I talk to James Potter? Because no, Snivellus, I’m not friends with him. That will never change. He’ll never change. He’s a cocky, immature bully, and I know that now, like I’ve always known that.”

The words felt wrong. She was talking about the James Potter she used to know, the one that existed when she and Severus Snape were still best friends, meeting in secret to practice Potions in deserted corners. The James Potter she knew now was still lofty and proud, but she’d also seen him be kind to house-elves and joke with his friends. She’d helped him with Potions and been helped by him in Charms, seen him emerge from a broom cupboard with his hair even messier than usual and his glasses askew


But still. Still. She kept going, kept ranting about James Potter the way she used to, because it was so familiar, this conversation with Sev. For a second, despite her anger, it was like having their friendship back. She hadn’t missed him for a long time now—she barely thought of him, really—but right now, she felt a pang for what she had lost. And then she remembered why they weren’t friends anymore, and how much things had really changed.

“But I’m not friends with you anymore either, Severus,” she said, her voice dangerously low, and was gratified to see him look away. “You have no right to make judgments on my life, because you aren’t in it.”

“Yeah,” he said fiercely, looking back up at her, his black eyes unforgiving, “but I’m not the one who ended it.”

“Yes,” she said levelly, “you are.”

He held her gaze for a moment longer, and then dropped it. “Yeah,” he muttered again, but this time he sounded defeated. “I guess you’re right. You usually were.”

The past tense stung her, more than she’d like. She didn’t respond, and he didn’t leave.

After a long, awkward moment, she peeked at him. He was staring stonily at the shack. “So,” she began tentatively, “what did you mean about knowing what was in there?”

He looked at her sideways, and she could have sworn he grinned. “Oh, that,” he said. “Well, yeah, actually, I found out pretty recently. And by the way, I was so right about this. You’re going to owe me money or something.”

She almost laughed, but restrained herself.

“Okay,” he started. “So you know what tonight is, right?”

---

James was almost to the Shrieking Shack when he realized he could hear voices. Angry voices. He hesitated for a second, not wanting to get in between anything, but also pulled by his natural curiosity. He crept a little closer, and suddenly he realized that one of those voices belonged to Lily Evans. His curiosity intensified—for a moment, he even considered transforming into the great stag, since the deer not only had better hearing, it could move through the woods in silence. He resisted the temptation, however, knowing that it was risky, and crouched down into the snow, inching closer.

He could see them now, through a gap in the foliage, and with a start he recognized Severus Snape. His lip curled involuntarily at the sight, but he was oddly gratified to see that Lily was yelling at him. However, he was even more surprised when he heard his own name.

“—to James Potter?” Lily was shouting. “Because no, Snivellus, I’m not friends with him. That will never change. He’ll never change. He’s a cocky, immature bully, and I know that now, like I’ve always known that.”

Stunned and hurt, James rocked back onto his heels. He had thought that they were getting along better this year, had thought that she may actually be starting to like him, that maybe—but no, apparently it didn’t matter what he thought, did it, because he was wrong. Her words hit him harder than he would ever admit to anyone. He knew he was cocky, he did, but he thought that he’d matured this year, that he’d changed. Apparently not.

Not sure if he was more disgusted with her or with himself, he turned to go. But as he started to walk away, he heard Lily ask Snape about the Shrieking Shack. And he remembered, suddenly, that Snape knew all about Remus and his transformations. James couldn’t believe he’d forgotten, however temporarily, what Snape had discovered at the end of last year
that he himself had saved Snape from the werewolf that was normally Remus Lupin
couldn’t believe he’d been foolish enough to think that Snape would keep his promise to Dumbledore and tell no one


“So you know what tonight is, right?” Snape had just asked Lily.

Full moon, thought James desperately, not knowing how to stop him. If Lily guessed even that much it was all over. She was smart, she’d figured it out. In fact, they were lucky she hadn’t already. And no one could know, no matter how much James did or had liked her.

His wand was in his hand. He didn’t even remember pulling it out of his pocket, but as Snape opened his mouth—to give Lily a hint, or to tell her out outright, James did the only thing he could think of.

He leapt forward, crashing through the brush, startling them both. Raising his wand, he pointed it at Snape and cried, “Silencio!”

Snape’s voice stopped. James locked eyes with him, his hazel staring into Snape’s black, and in them he read reproach and loathing and, maybe, was that fear?

For good measure, James flicked his wand, hoisting Snape into the air by one ankle, as he had done so many months ago after the O.W.L.s.

Understand? he thought. You keep that secret. You don’t tell anyone.

They stared at each other mutely for a long moment. Then Snape nodded once, sharply, and looked away in silent consent. James gave a brisk nod as well and muttered the countercurses. As Snape fell to the ground in a heap, swearing loudly, James turned away. Only then did he realize that Lily was shrieking something at him.

He ignored her, walking down the path that led back to the village and to Hogwarts, but she followed him.

“What is wrong with you?” she screamed, her cheeks pink from cold and anger, auburn hair loose.

“What do you mean?” he said, looking at her coldly.

“What do you mean, what do I mean?” she shouted. “Why did you do that? You just jinxed him for absolutely no reason! After last year, I’d expect you to have more sense. I can’t believe you did that at all, much less in front of me!”

“More sense?” he yelled back, turning on her, his temper flaring. “More sense? Not like it matters though, does it Evans? Since apparently I haven’t changed and I never will. I’m—oh, what was it—yeah, still a ‘cocky, immature bully’ like always, right?”

She blushed spectacularly as she realized what he’d heard, but she held her ground. “Well you just proved me right, then, didn’t you, Potter?” she spat. “You did exactly the same thing you did last year! I can’t believe I was actually starting to think that you were different—”

“Save it, Evans!” he roared. “You may find this to believe, but some things are more important than what you think of me.”

“Like bullying Severus?” she retorted.

He didn’t reply at once, and when he did, his voice was as cold as she had ever heard it, colder than the wind now biting at her exposed face and neck. “I don’t expect you to understand,” he said, suddenly calm.

“You’re damn right I don’t understand, I—” she started to say, but was quelled by the look he gave her. He had never looked at her like that before, icy and proud, with just a bit of hurt in it, and something that looked frighteningly like hatred. Involuntarily, she took a step back, and he turned on his heel and strode away.

---

James went straight back to the castle, not stopping to look in the crowded Three Broomsticks for Sirius and Peter. He was one of the first students back, and Gryffindor Tower was all but deserted. The only person in the common room was Remus, who was preparing to head to the Shrieking Shack for his transformation.

“James,” he said, surprised, as James stormed into the room. “You’re back early. What’s—are you okay?”

“Yeah,” James said, waving a hand and not looking at him. “Fine. Cold out there.”

Remus hesitated, watching closely as James sat on a chair by the fire. Then, his resolve hardened, he walked over and put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “You sure?” he asked worriedly.

His fears were confirmed as James buried his face in his hands. “I just jinxed Severus Snape,” he said.

“What?” said Remus, shocked.

“In front of Lily.”

“Oh.” Remus exhaled. “Oh, James, why? I thought you outgrew all that stuff, especially now that he and Lily aren’t really friends anymore.”

“I didn’t do it for no reason!” James said indignantly, jumping to his feet. “I did it because Snape was about to tell her about you!”

“Oh,” Remus said again, before sinking heavily into the chair that James had just vacated. “I’m so sorry, James,” he said heavily.

James just looked at him, the fury draining away. “Don’t be,” he said hollowly. “It’s not your fault. And then Lily came after me, really gave me a piece of her mind.”

“I’m sure she’ll get over it,” Remus said, leaning forward earnestly. “I mean, she’s seen as much as I have how much you’ve matured this year, I’m sure she’ll think there’s a good explanation
”

He trailed off as James laughed stiffly.

“Don’t count on it,” he said. “Besides, I don’t care what she thinks, anyway.”

Remus bit his lip. “Did something else happen?”

James looked down, feeling suddenly foolish about being upset. “Oh, not really,” he said, trying to sound light and unconcerned. “I just overheard her telling Snape before I interrupted them, about how I’m never going to change. You know, about how I’m always going to be arrogant and a bully. But it’s fine. She’s always thought that about me, I guess.”

Remus didn’t say anything at first, just cast an uneasy glance outside the window.

“James,” he said finally, “I have to go. It’s almost nightfall.”

James nodded mutely, just stood there and stared into the fire. Remus rose and stood beside him for a moment, before saying, “But she’s wrong, you know.” James didn’t react, and Remus continued. “Lily. She’s wrong. You’re neither of those. I’m sorry to leave you like this, but
you need to know. You’re one of the best friends I have and will ever have.”

James closed his eyes. “Thanks, Moony,” he said softly. Remus clapped him on the shoulder, and departed.

---

Lily finally located Mary in the crowd at the Three Broomsticks. The small girl was surrounded by even more boys, and she was reluctant to leave, but Lily forced her. Mary followed her in a huff, but her mood evaporated when Lily explained to her the events by the Shrieking Shack.

“Wow,” Mary said, stunned. “D’you think there was a reason, though? I mean, from what I’ve heard, they’ve been much better about only pranking people who, you know, deserve it this year. Are you sure Snape didn’t do anything?”

“You just want to blame him because he’s a Slytherin,” Lily said scornfully.

“Or maybe you just don’t want to blame him because he used to be your friend,” Mary countered.

Lily shrugged. “From where I was, it seemed unprovoked,” she said.

Mary frowned. “Still,” she said, “it seems weird.”

Lily didn’t say anything. They had reached the portrait that led into the Gryffindor common room. Mary gave the password and the door swung open. They clambered in, facing a common room that was now full of Gryffindors returning from the village. Mary was showing every sign of wanting to stay and socialize, so Lily touched her gently on the arm.

“I’m beat,” she said. “I think I’m just going to go up to the dorm.”

Mary nodded at her, and Lily started to head towards the stairs when a loud voice said “Evans! Hey, Evans!”

She shut her eyes and turned slowly. James Potter stood by the fire with Sirius Black. His eyes were on her.

“Hey, I think I’ve figured it out,” James said, still in that loud, aggressive voice.

“Figured what out?” she hissed, barely audible.

“Why you’re so stuck-up, judgmental, and alone,” he said harshly. The common room went instantly quiet.

“And why’s that, Potter?” she asked through clenched teeth.

He crossed the room in three strides and stood before her, looking down at her coldly.

“It’s because you don’t know how to handle a real man,” he bit out.

She stared back at him. “Right,” she breathed, “right.” Then she pushed past him, crossing the room to where Sirius Black stood by the fire, trying and failing to look small. Grabbing Sirius by the front of his robes, she stood on her toes and kissed him firmly on the mouth.

She supposed that instinct must have taken over at that point, because to her surprise, he wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her back for half a second before jerking roughly away, looking ashamed. She heard a collective gasp from the Gryffindors in the common room behind her before she turned, wiped her mouth on her sleeve, and walked delicately back towards James.

He was standing where she had left him, slack-jawed. She stopped in front of him, not looking at him, and said softly, “You’re wrong.” Then she turned and ran up the stairs to her dorm.

---

The evening in the sixth-year Gryffindor boys’ room that night was awkward. James was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling when Sirius and Peter walked in the door. He glanced at them briefly before returning to his examination of the ceiling.

“James,” Sirius said hesitantly, approaching him.

“What?” James asked flatly.

“Come on, Prongs, I’m sorry, I didn’t know she was going to do that,” Sirius said, almost pleading.

James turned his head slightly to look at him. “Did you have to kiss her back?” he asked quietly.

Sirius fidgeted awkwardly. “Yeah, about that. I didn’t mean to. Just kind of
habit.”

James sat up so suddenly Sirius jumped. “You’ve kissed her before?” he yelped.

“Not her!” Sirius said hurriedly, waving his hands. “I just mean like, in general!”

James lay back down. “Right,” he said, “sorry. Anyway, I’m not mad at you, Padfoot,” he sighed. “I just
I don’t know. I don’t think I’m going to come with you tonight.”

“But you have to!” Peter said unhappily, jumping on the bed next to James. “Like it’s weird without Moony right now, it’ll be weird without you!”

“Sorry, Wormtail,” James said affectionately. “I just kind of want to be alone tonight.”

The other two nodded. “Here,” James said, producing the invisibility cloak from his pillow, “you’ll need this to get out.”

He handed it to Sirius, who ruffled his hair as they passed. James didn’t watch them go.

Hours later, though, he slipped out of bed. He snuck out of the castle, being extra careful, feeling vulnerable without his cloak. Once on the grounds, however, he transformed into a stag and took off alone, bounding through the woods, leaving everything behind.

---

The next morning, Lily woke early with a stomachache. Yawning, she headed down to the common room to see if anyone else was awake—the Hogwarts Express departed later that afternoon, to take everyone home for the holidays, and she was expecting a few people to be wandering around. She hoped none of them would feel to comment on her behavior from the night before.

When she reached the common room, she was happy to see that there were two people there, but her happiness was short-lived as she got close enough to see who they were. She swallowed audibly as Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew stared at her hostilely.

“Um, hi,” she said quietly. They didn’t respond.

She looked directly at Sirius as she said, “Look. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done what I did.”

He snorted and looked out the window.

“Come on,” she said in exasperation. “What more do you want from me?”

Sirius finally turned to look directly at her, his eyes blazing. “I’m not the one you should be apologizing to!” he said furiously. “I mean, I’m all for being sexually harassed, Evans, but not when it’s a ploy to hurt my best friend.”

She actually stamped her foot as she said, “You don’t know the whole story!”

“I know more than you think I do,” he said loudly, standing up, “and probably understand this a whole lot better than you do! And I’ll tell you again, I’m not the one you should be apologizing to!”

He sat down again, fuming, and she looked at Peter, taken aback.

“He’s outside,” Peter said coolly.

“And if he kills himself out there, it’s your fault,” Sirius snapped at her.

Surprised and uncomfortable, Lily turned and darted from the common room. She wasn’t entirely sure where to find James, or even what she was going to say—anger and guilt took turns driving her.

She reached the grounds and trudged across them, searching for James. Eventually, as she neared the Quidditch pitch, she saw a small figure on a broom swooping around the goal posts. She hesitated for the barest of moments, and then resolutely walked forward.

“James!” she called, barely registering that she was calling him by his first name now. “Can you come down here? Please?”

She could feel his reluctance, his desire to be as far away from her as possible. How many times had she wished him gone, begged for him to leave her alone, and now all she wanted was for him to come talk to her. She shook her head, barely understanding.

He landed hard in front of her, scattering snow, and she was nervous, almost frightened. “What?” he said, roughly, his eyes boring into hers.

She wanted to look away but she had to respect him for looking her in the eye. Momentarily flustered, she tried to remember what she came here to say.

“I’m sorry.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah,” she said, taking a breath. “I overreacted. I’m sorry I used your friendship with Sirius to hurt you. It wasn’t right.”

He sighed heavily, leaning on his broom and breaking their gaze to look off into the horizon.

“I’m sorry too, Evans,” he said, before looking back at her. “I’m sorry I provoked you.”

“Well,” she said awkwardly, “that was my fault, too. What you overhead by the Shrieking Shack
I didn’t mean it. Not like that. I don’t really know why I said it. It’s not true, it isn’t, I just
it just came out.” She looked at him pleadingly, and he tilted his head, acknowledging her. “Although,” she said reproachfully, “you didn’t have to jinx Severus to get back at me.”

He laughed humorlessly. “You don’t get it,” he said. “I didn’t jinx Snivellus to get back at you. It was for a completely different reason—and believe me, there was a reason—that you just wouldn’t get.”

“Maybe if you explained it to me?” she suggested.

“No,” he said briskly. “I can’t. It’s not
mine to explain. Just drop it, please.”

“Okay,” she said, “okay.”

Lily watched him, standing there, his profile hard against the new sun. She had seen do so many things, she realized, some of them cocky, some of them sweet, some silly, and some brave, but she had never seen him upset before. Despite the residual guilt and anger and the lingering awkwardness, she felt a pang at how intimate the situation was. Uncomfortable, she looked away.

“So,” she said lightly, trying to relieve the tension, “did Remus leave already? I haven’t seen him around.”

“Yeah,” James said distractedly, “yeah, he had to go home early to take care of his furry little problem.”

“His what?” Lily asked, not sure if it was something she could laugh at. “Like, a badly behaved rabbit or something?”

He looked at her, and for the first time, cracked a smile. She was surprised at how relieved she was to see it. “Something like that,” he said.

She smiled, shook her head, and looked down. “Look, James,” she said softly, “maybe we can’t be friends. Maybe, I don’t know, too much has happened for us to ever really be friends. But do you think we could try for being civil?”

“I think we could try that,” he said impassively. “For now, anyway.”

“All right,” she said, not sure how she felt about his easy acquiescence. “Well
have a good holiday, James.”

“Yeah,” he said, “you too.”

She turned to head across the grounds, back towards the castle. Behind her, he hopped onto his broom and took to the sky once more, not watching as she walked away.
Action and Reaction by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
So this is maybe one of the more Serious Chapters in this whole thing. Don't worry though, there are still plenty of hijinks left!

------------

When Lily returned to Hogwarts after the holidays she wished, not for the first time, that she had more contact with the Wizarding world when she was at home. Normally, she tried to keep any mention of magic as low as possible, not wanting to upset Petunia, but when she entered Gryffindor Tower that first night before the start of term, she regretted not subscribing to the Daily Prophet. The mood was so sober and tense that she was sure something awful had happened over the winter holidays.

Sure enough, when she reached her dorm room, she found Mary, Leda Wood, and Amelia Bones all sitting on the floor together, talking quietly. The opened their circle as she approached them, letting her in. “Did you hear?” Mary asked, grasping her hand.

Lily shook her head. “I haven’t heard anything. What happened?”

Mary bit her lip, and Leda looked on the verge of tears. It was Amelia, her voice flat, who said “You-Know-Who has been gathering supporters. Actively, I mean, more than usual. And he isn’t hesitating to cut down those who refuse him.”

Lily inhaled sharply, remembering, suddenly, the end of the previous year, when Amelia and her brother Stephen had been pulled out of school because their parents had died. She wanted to reach for Amelia’s hand, but the other girl looked so controlled, so imposing, that Lily didn’t dare.

“Marlene’s uncle has disappeared,” Mary said softly, “and the rest of her family has gone into hiding, afraid they’ll be next. Marlene came back to Hogwarts though—it’s as safe here as it is anywhere—but people are losing family left and right.”

Amelia nodded. “My brother—not Stephen, my older brother, Edgar—wants to do something about it. He reckons we should fight back, but I don’t
I don’t know what that would accomplish. And I don’t want to lose any more family.”

Lily swallowed hard and nodded. “We should go down to the common room,” she said, standing. “I think people are gathering.”

One by one, the others rose to follow her. As they entered the common room, Lily saw that there was indeed a group of people gathered by the fireplace. It was mostly sixth- and seventh-years, among them Marlene Mckinnon. Lily rushed to hug the older girl, who seemed to have grown older in the past few weeks. She was sitting beside her fellow seventh-year prefect, Frank Longbottom, and they appeared to have been in deep discussion.

Lily turned to see that all four of the boys her year were there, and that her friends had settled in beside them. She joined them, seating herself on the floor between Mary and Remus Lupin, who gave her a sad smile. In the back of her mind, she noticed that James Potter was resolutely not looking at her. She was immediately disgusted with herself for noticing—much bigger things were happening now.

From where she was perched on the arm of a large chair, Marlene cleared her throat, and the rest of them looked up at her.

“Frank and I were just thinking,” Marlene said, her voice clear and strong, “about how we need to do something.”

“What could we possibly do?” Leda scoffed from the floor. “We’re students. Most of us aren’t even of age.”

“Maybe there’s nothing we could really do yet,” Marlene said seriously, “but we can be prepared. We can know what’s going on, and we can get ourselves ready to face the world outside of Hogwarts.”

“But what’s the point of that?” Leda asked. “I’m sorry to say it, but we aren’t going to change anything. So we make it obvious that we oppose You-Know-Who. What happens next? We all disappear too.”

Marlene blanched, and out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw James throw Leda a nasty look. She felt like doing the same.

“If that’s how you feel,” Marlene said coolly, “then go. You don’t have to stay here; we’re not forcing anyone to be a part of this. If you don’t think there’s a point to standing up for what’s right, then leave.”

Leda looked uneasy for a second, and then she got to her feet. To Lily’s dismay, Mary stood up a beat behind her.

“What are you doing?” Lily hissed.

Mary looked down at her sadly. “I’m sorry,” she said quietly, “but I just can’t.”

Lily watched open-mouthed as the two girls headed back towards their room. A few others got to their feet as well and departed the common room, whispering together. Lily looked down the row to where Amelia was still sitting, looking resolute.

“I thought you didn’t want to fight?” Lily murmured to her.

“I don’t,” Amelia responded. “But I can’t sit by and do nothing either.”

Lily nodded, understanding, and then turned back to survey the group of remaining students. Marlene and Frank had stayed, as well as another seventh-year boy, who Lily recognized as Benjy Fenwick. James, Sirius, and Remus remained in their seats on the floor, looking impassive. Peter Pettigrew had stayed as well—he was trembling nervously, but showed no desire to move. There was also one fifth-year girl who Lily didn’t recognize.

“What do we do now?” Lily asked, looking up at Marlene.

Marlene glanced down at her affectionately. “I’m not sure,” she admitted. “But I talked to Dumbledore when I first got back, and he hinted that he has a place for people who resist You-Know-Who once we’ve left school. For now, I think we just have to stick together. Keep our eyes open. And practicing Defense Against the Dark Arts probably wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

Lily nodded. The group of them sat in the common room for awhile longer, discussing what they thought You-Know-Who’s plans were and wondering aloud what Dumbledore’s secret group was, but eventually someone pointed out that classes started in the morning, and they all headed up to bed.

---

If Lily expected the somber mood to hang about the castle, she was wrong; with classes starting up again, things soon returned to business as usual. Since that first meeting in the Gryffindor common room, however, Lily noticed a distinct change. The sixth-year girls were firmly divided, with Mary and Leda on one side and Lily and Amelia on the other, and things were tense between Lily and Mary as a result. Their conversations were stiff and awkward, and Mary started going down to meals early with Leda instead of waiting for Lily. Lily didn’t know how to fix things—sometimes, remembering how opposed Mary had been to fighting, she wasn’t sure she wanted to.

But it wasn’t just with Mary. Lily felt as though things were falling apart all through her life. The letters from her mysterious friend, the ones she had so looked forward to, had stopped coming. Every morning when the mail arrived she looked for one eagerly, but to no avail.

And James Potter was ignoring her as well. Lily hated to admit to herself that this bothered her—she didn’t want it to bother her—but she could barely stand the silence. I just got used to him, she told herself. He was always around, annoying me, getting in the way. It’s not like I miss him.

She threw herself into her schoolwork, but even that didn’t occupy her like it used to. I shouldn’t have pulled all those pranks earlier in the year, she thought miserably. It makes everything less exciting now.

But rebellious streak or not, Lily Evans knew that, sooner or later, things in her life were going to have to change.

---

“I’m bored,” Sirius said one evening, flopping dramatically across his bed.

“Do your homework,” James suggested dully from his own four-poster, where he was immersed in his own Transfiguration book.

Sirius looked at him in disgust. “I can’t believe you’re suggesting that,” he said. “Furthermore, I can’t believe you’re reading that book.”

“Don’t want to get behind,” James said vaguely, turning a page.

Sirius propped himself up on an elbow and stared intently at his best friend. “Prongs?” he said.

“Yeah?”

“Can I make a suggestion?”

James looked up at him. “Can I stop you?” he asked warily.

Sirius ignored him. “Get over it,” he said.

“What?” James said, startled.

“Whatever mood you’re in right now,” Sirius said irritably. “You were in it all of break, and you haven’t snapped out of it. You just lay around moping about something, and you’re refusing to talk about it. I don’t know what it is, and I’m not even going to make you tell me what it is. But get over it. Because it’s getting really old.”

James put the book down. “Where do you get off—” he began hotly, but Sirius put a hand up to silence him.

“I don’t want to fight,” he said. “I’m just making a suggestion.” And he got to his feet and bounded from the room.

Remus tried a different tactic. A few days later, when James was sitting in an armchair in the common room, gazing moodily into the fire, Remus plopped down beside him briskly and said, “So do you want to talk about it?”

“No,” James said, not looking at him.

Remus didn’t falter. “Well, do you need to talk about it?” he pressed.

“No.”

Remus sighed heavily. “Come on, Prongs,” he chided. “You can’t spend the rest of your life in this mood.”

“Just leave me alone, Moony.”

After a few more minutes, Remus resigned himself to the fact that James wasn’t going to talk, and left.

He tried again the next day, though, and James soon took to hiding out in the library to avoid him. He was pretty proud of himself for the hiding place—Sirius rarely set foot in the library if he could help it, and Remus would never think to look for him there.

He had forgotten about the one person who never seemed to leave the library, however, and was abruptly reminded when Lily Evans parked herself at his table one night.

“What are you doing here?” he muttered, his gaze focused on the point of his quill.

“Charms,” she said briskly. He didn’t respond, and there was a long, awkward pause. She was unfazed, however, and said, “Look, James. Why are you mad at me?”

He had to respect, however grudgingly, that she didn’t waste time asking him if he was mad at her. She was direct. He’d always liked that about her.

Although he didn’t particularly like her at all right now. He didn’t really like much of anyone lately. But she seemed to be waiting for an answer, so he looked up at her, one eyebrow raised.

“Oh come on,” Lily said, exasperated. “You’re still angry about what happened before the holidays? I apologized for that! Anyway, I told you, I didn’t mean it.”

He grunted noncommittally and looked back at his homework, hoping she would take the hint. She didn’t.

“Okay,” James said under his breath, “then I’ll go.” And he gathered his books and stormed from the library.

When he reached Gryffindor Tower, he was relieved to find that the dormitory was empty. He threw himself across the bed and occupied himself by staring at the ceiling for a good ten minutes. He was interrupted, however, when Peter entered the room.

“Oh,” Peter squeaked, “sorry, James. I’ll go.”

James sat up, surprisingly glad to see him. “No, no, don’t leave!” he said. “You’re the only person I’m not avoiding right now.”

Peter sighed in relief. “Good,” he said. “It’s kind of crowded down there.

James grinned crookedly at him as Peter headed towards his four-poster. As he passed James, Peter hesitated.

“Hey Prongs?” he asked tentatively. “Are you
really just upset about Lily?”

James sighed heavily, and looked at him for a long moment. “No,” he said finally. “It’s not really that at all. I mean, yeah, that has something to do with it, but mostly
” he trailed off, trying to collect his thoughts.

“You remember that thing that happened last year?” James started. “The one we don’t talk about, because it upsets Remus and makes Sirius mad?”

“The
you-saving-Snape-from-werewolf-Moony thing?” Peter asked.

“Yeah,” James said. “That thing.”

“Vaguely,” Peter shrugged.

James looked up at him, fully appreciating Peter in that moment—the fact that he was the only one uninvolved in that situation meant that he was the only one James could talk to now.

“Mind if I refresh your memory?” James asked.

---

“I’m bored,” Sirius sighed, flopping across his bed.

James looked up, grinning. “It’s full moon tonight Padfoot. Can’t you control yourself for like, an hour?”

“No,” Sirius said sullenly. “O.W.L.s are over, summer starts in a few days, and it’s not dark out yet for at least another two hours. I’m restless!”

“You could pack,” James suggested. “Or go find Wormtail, I can’t think where he’s got to.”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “He’s probably still in the library going over the exam papers and convincing himself he failed everything.” He thrust a hand beneath his pillow and pulled out a sheet of parchment. Putting his wand tip to it, he muttered, “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.” He scanned the map for a moment, then said, “Yep, library. Just like I thought. Oh hey, wait
Snivellus is hanging around outside.”

James looked up, grinning, as Sirius hopped to his feet. “What are you going to do?” he asked.

“I’ll think of something. What—you’re not coming?”

James shrugged evasively.

Sirius eyed him thoughtfully. “This is because of what happened with Evans the other day, isn’t it?” he asked shrewdly.

James winced. “Yeah,” he said. “Better not risk it just this yet. Do something good, though, I’ll be living vicariously!

Sirius winked at him and went off. A few minutes later, he was back. James looked up in surprise.

“That didn’t take long,” he said.

Sirius was already peering out the window onto the grounds. “Don’t worry,” he said, “I’m teaching him a lesson. Little scumball was sniffing around, trying to find out what’s up with Remus. I’m telling you, we’re going to have to be careful with that, he might figure it out.”

James grinned lopsidedly. “What’d you do to him?” he asked lazily.

“Oh, nothing much,” Sirius said. “I just may have told him how to get past the Whomping Willow—and that he’ll find something interesting if he tries it.

James sat bolt upright, the color draining from his face. “You didn’t,” he said hoarsely.

“Well, yeah,” Sirius said, cocking his head.

“Moony could kill him, Sirius!”

Something hard flickered across Sirius’s face. “Snivellus can take care of himself,” he scoffed. “Besides, he probably won’t even go.”

James fumbled for the map and scanned it feverishly. “He’s halfway across the grounds already,” he moaned. “You idiot, Sirius! Forget about Snape, what do you think this will mean for Remus if he kills someone?”

For the first time, Sirius looked alarmed. “You don’t think
” he started to say. “James, I didn’t mean—”

James threw the map down on his bed. “I don’t have time for this,” he snapped, and took off running.

By the time he reached the Whomping Willow, he was panting heavily and clutching at a stitch in his side. He seized the long stick that Snape must have used and prodded the knothole that stopped the flailing branches, then lit his wand and sprinted down the passageway.

The closer he got to the Shrieking Shack without finding Snape, the more panic-stricken he became. What if I’m too late? he thought desperately, running faster. And finally, finally, just as he was about to reach the shack, he saw the slight figure creeping down the path before him.

Hissing a sigh of relief, he leapt forward, seizing Snape around the arm. Snape whirled, his wand in his hand, a scowl darkening his face as he saw James. He opened his mouth—whether to speak or to cast a spell, James neither knew nor cared.

“You have to get out of here,” James panted.

Snape sneered at him. “Another trick, Potter?”

“No!” James said in frustration. “Just trust me, you don’t want to know what’s at the end of the tunnel, and you have to get out NOW.”

“Trust you?” Snape scoffed. “Not bloody likely.” And he jerked his arm from James’s grip and bolted towards the Shrieking Shack.

James ran after him, but the chase was short—the path turned a sharp corner, and Snape had come to an abrupt stop in full view of the shack and the fully-grown werewolf that raged inside.

James swore as the werewolf raised his head, sniffing the air. He grabbed Snape again and started shoving him back the way they had come—within a few seconds, Snape had come to his senses and was tearing along the path, back towards the castle grounds. James spared the werewolf one glance, and then ran after him.

Minutes later, the two boys collapsed, breathing hard, onto the castle grounds. James lay on his back, legs shaking from exertion, for a few long moments before finally pushing himself up. To his shock, Snape was standing there, his wand out.

“What are you doing?” James asked warily.

“So, what,” Snape said, ignoring him, “you and your friends decided to up the stakes, did you? Pull a prank that will just finish me off? And you couldn’t go through with it. Get cold feet, Potter?”

“What?” James said, outraged, scrambling to his feet. “I just saved your life, you—”

His retort was cut short as Snape muttered something, and James was blasted off his feet. Standing, he grabbed for his own wand, but lowered it almost instantly; Dumbledore was now striding across the grounds towards them. Snape put his own wand down as Dumbledore approached, the headmaster looking as grave as James had ever seen him


---

“And then Dumbledore hauled us all into his office,” James finished. “Snape told him we were all trying to kill him, I told him that it was a prank gone wrong, Sirius told him I had nothing to do with it. In the end Sirius got detentions and Dumbledore made Snape swear not to tell anyone what he knew.”

Peter, who had listened quietly through the whole thing, now said, “So why is this bothering you now? I mean, it was months ago.”

James looked out the window. “I guess,” he said slowly, “I’m just wondering if I did the right thing.”

Peter looked at him in alarm. “Are you wishing you’d let Snape die?”

“No! No, not that,” James said hastily. “It’s just, after overhearing him almost tell Lily about Remus, I’m wondering if it was naïve of me to think Snivellus’d keep his promise to Dumbledore. How many Slytherins do you think know about Remus by now?”

“Come on,” Peter said reasonably. “What could you have done that Dumbledore didn’t?”

“I don’t know!” James said. “I could have
threatened him or, hell, erased his memory or something
it would have been worth a whole month of detention
” he trailed of, sighing.

“I think it’s good that you didn’t,” Peter said quietly.

James shrugged. “That,” he said, “and I am kind of upset that Snape was using information about us to try to get Lily to be his friend again. Is
is she really that much like him?”

“Well,” said a voice from the doorway, “this explains a lot.”

James turned around in alarm. Sirius was leaning casually against the doorframe, smirking. As James locked eyes with him, he strolled casually into the room. “I mean, really James,” Sirius continued. “I was beginning to think you were having some sort of mental breakdown. Turns out you’re just having a crisis of faith.”

“How long have you been here?” James asked, exasperated.

“Long enough,” Remus said, following Sirius into the dorm and grinning.

James groaned and flopped, facedown, into his pillow. “Great,” he muttered, his voice muffled. Sirius jumped on him.

“Come on, Prongsy!” he sang. “Now that you’ve gotten that off your chest, you can get back to normal.”

Across the room, Remus rolled his eyes.

“I guess,” James said, rolling over and looking unconvinced.

“You did the right thing,” Peter said suddenly, and James looked over at him.

“He’s right,” Remus agreed. “And I think it changed you, saving Snape’s life. Don’t you realize that that was when you stopped jinxing people just because you could? And as for Lily
she and Snape haven’t been friends for a long time. I think she’s changed, too.”

James brightened slightly. “Yeah,” he said. “Yeah. You’re right. Things are different now, aren’t they?”

Sirius looked skywards. “You have no idea,” he said, sounding long-suffering.

James grinned and tackled him.

---

James Potter was back to his normal, swaggering self, as far as Lily could tell. She saw him often—tussling with his friends at meals, goofing around in classes, in and out of Gryffindor Tower—but he didn’t appear to be seeing her. Every so often, if their paths crossed directly, he would acknowledge her with a brisk nod, but most of the time, he ignored her. Whether he was pretending not to see her or she had simply become invisible she didn’t know, but Lily Evans did not take well to being ignored.

Remus found this out the hard way. He and Lily were on prefect duty together, and as they patrolled the halls together, he made the mistake of asking her if something was wrong. Five minutes later, Lily was just warming up.

“And he just ignores me now!” she was ranting. “He never used to ignore me. He made me want to curse his bloody brains out sometimes, but he never ignored me. Now he’s polite. And I can’t stand a polite James Potter, it’s just not the way the world works. And, all right, it’s not like we were ever friends or anything, but this constant pretending I don’t exist, it’s driving me mad! And I don’t know what it could be. I mean, all right, I know what it could be, it’s what he overhead me saying about him. But how many times can I apologize for that? He has to grow up and let me off the hook for that, or so help me, I’m going to jinx his—”

Lily paused for breath just as Remus was unable to control his laughter any longer.

“What?” she snapped at him.

Remus looked at her, grinning. “You miss him,” he said.

Lily looked aghast. “I most certainly do not,” she said, sounding offended. “I just
I just got used to him hanging around, making a mess of everything. It was annoying, but entertaining. Sometimes. I’m just bored. I absolutely do not miss him.”

Remus’s smile grew. “You miss him!” he repeated.

Lily scowled at him and stormed off down the corridor, leaving Remus chucking behind her. A few seconds later, though, she was back.

“Okay,” she said, still scowling. “So maybe I do miss him. A little bit. Barely. But I don’t want to miss him!”

Remus regarded her for a long moment. “So,” he said finally, “what are you going to do about it?”

She made an irritated noise in the back of her throat. “Nothing!” she said shrilly. “He’s making me mad!”

Not for the first time, Remus rolled his eyes. “The pair of you,” he said tiredly. “You’re just too stubborn.”

---

“Are you going to forgive Lily any time in the near future?” Remus asked James when he returned to their room later that night.

James looked at him in surprise. “I have,” he said.

“Well you might want to tell her that,” Remus snarled.

“Nah,” James said, grinning wickedly. “I kind of just want to let her sweat it out. I’m not used to having the upper hand with Evans.”

“Right,” Remus muttered to himself. “Well then. I might beg off sick for the next few weeks, because, trust me, I don’t want to be around when this explosion hits.”

---

The explosion, as Remus put it, came even sooner than he could have predicted.

Lily was at breakfast early the next morning, her nose buried in her Potions book as she ate. She was so immersed that she didn’t realize, for a moment, that James and Sirius had seated themselves across from her. She peered over the edge of her book at them suspiciously.

After a moment, James realized she was looking. “What?” he said.

She raised an eyebrow. “Oh, are you speaking to me now?”

“I was never not speaking to you,” James said coolly, reaching for a piece of toast as Peter slid into the seat next to him.

Lily closed her book with a snap. All three boys across the table looked up at her. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw Remus enter the Great Hall. He noticed them sitting together and promptly did an about-face and left the room.

“You know what, Potter?” she said tensely. “I’m sick of this.”

Sirius and Peter both began to edge away, but James stared right back at her, looking bored. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Evans,” he said. “Pass the jam?”

She made a face at him, and reached for the plate of grape jam. She picked it up, hesitated for a fraction of a second, and then leaned across the table and smashed it into his face.

His jaw dropped. For a moment, he just sat there, staring at her, the purple jam dripping slowly from his hair, and then he stood, picked up his goblet of pumpkin juice, and dumped it over her head.

Within seconds, she was pelting him with muffins. He dodged, leaping across the table to fling handfuls of scrambled eggs at her, chasing her down the table as she grabbed for ammunition. Around them, sleepy students were ducking under the tables for cover, and in the back of her mind, Lily realized that she had never, ever done anything like this before. But before that thought had even finished formulating, Professor McGonagall had stepped in front of her.

Lily stopped abruptly. James skidded up beside her, and instantly tried to hide his handful of bacon behind his back.

“Do you have an explanation for this, Miss Evans?” she asked imperiously.

“Um,” Lily said, searching desperately for a plausible explanation.

“I thought not,” McGonagall said. “Detention, both of you.”

Lily gaped at her, unable to recall a previous experience where she had received a detention. McGonagall turned on her heel and returned to the head table, where, Lily noticed, Dumbledore sat, looking amused.

Helplessly, she turned to James, who blinked down at her. “Don’t look at me,” he said. “You started it.”
Hanging by a Moment by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
A relatively Lily-centric chapter.

Enjoy!

-------------------

“Potter, Evans. My desk, please,” McGonagall said briskly the next day as Transfiguration drew to a close. Lily looked wistfully at her classmates as they filed out of the classroom, then trudged slowly towards McGonagall, James on her heels.

They stood side-by-side before her desk, not looking at each other. McGonagall surveyed them for a long moment before saying, “You will both be doing your detentions tonight.”

James cleared his throat and she looked at him, one eyebrow raised. “Together?” he asked.

Her eyes flashed. “Yes, Potter, together. Unless that presents a problem?” When neither Lily nor James spoke, she continued. “You will meet Professor Slughorn in the dungeons tonight at eight—he has some cauldrons that need to be cleaned out.”

Ignoring both James’s groan and Lily’s sigh of relief, McGonagall turned back towards her desk. Taking this as a dismissal, James turned to leave. Lily hesitated a moment longer, then followed him.

She walked a few paces behind him for several moments as they headed towards Gryffindor Tower, and then decided that that was stupid and caught up to him. James looked at her out of the corner of his eye, and then lengthened his stride so she was almost jogging to keep up. Despite what he had said to Remus, he hadn’t entirely forgiven her for her words to Snape outside the Shrieking Shack.

“So this won’t be too bad,” Lily said, trying to look as if she was walking at a normal pace.

James snorted. “Maybe not for you,” he said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Lily asked sharply.

James sighed and stopped abruptly. Lily took a few steps past him before realizing, and she turned to face him. “It means,” James said slowly, “that Slughorn loves you, so this detention is barely a punishment for you. You probably help him clean out cauldrons in your spare time already.”

Lily squeaked indignantly, but James ignored this. “Me, I’m going to get stuck with all the grunt work,” he continued, “while Slughorn probably pulls you up to chat about some new advanced potion he’s working on. ”

He started to walk towards Gryffindor Tower again, but Lily stepped in front of him, blocking his path. “I can pull my own weight,” she said angrily. “Especially since it is my fault that you’re even in this detention.”

“Hey!” he said, scowling. “Now you’re going to take all the credit for that food fight? You may have provoked me, but I am perfectly capable of getting my own detentions.”

She threw her hands into the air. “You’re impossible!” she cried, and stomped away.

He watched her go for a long moment before following, his stony expression twitching slightly, as though with the beginnings of a smile.

---

They ignored each other with as much dignity as possible when they met in the dungeons that night. Luckily, they only had to endure a few minutes of uncomfortable silence before Slughorn bustled in.

“Ah, excellent, excellent,” he said, beaming at them, his hands resting contentedly on his potbelly. “You’re the last person I’d expect to see in my dungeons for detention, Lily! Must’ve been that cheekiness. I always wondered if there was anything you wouldn’t be able to talk your way out of
”

Lily smiled tightly. Usually she liked Professor Slughorn quite a lot, but at the moment, she rather wished he’d stop talking. She was uncomfortably aware of James’s smirk.

“To business!” Slughorn announced. “I’ve just received a shipment of cauldrons that looked as though they’ve never been cleaned before, and I figured, Lily, since you were such an asset the other day when you helped me clean out those frogspawn buckets—”

Lily winced and looked involuntarily at James, whose smug grin had widened. I knew it, he mouthed, and she quickly looked back at Slughorn.

“Although,” the Potions master was saying regretfully, “since this is a punishment, I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to clean them without magic. Builds character, you know. Not that either of you are particularly lacking in character, ho ho! Now then, if you’d follow me
”

He set off for an adjacent room and they followed, somewhat miserably. When he pushed open the door, Lily’s mouth dropped. The room was bursting with cauldrons, far more than she had expected. They piled from floor to ceiling in the back corners and overflowed from cabinets. And they were filthy. Lily thought she heard James whimper, but she was too horrified to taunt him for it.

“Right,” Slughorn said distractedly. “I’ll just, ah, leave you to it then!” And he edged out of the room.

“This,” James said, matter-of-factly, “is going to take all night.”

Lily looked at him worriedly. “You really think so?”

“Even with magic it would take forever,” he scoffed. “Without? It’ll probably take all morning, too.”

“Good thing it’s Friday,” she said.

James sighed heavily and went to the opposite end of the room.

Slughorn had, mercifully, left them buckets of warm, soapy water that replenished themselves when they got too filthy, but scrubbing out the cauldrons was hard work, and Lily was soon disheveled.

For the first two hours, she and James ignored each other. Halfway through the third, he broke the silence and asked her to pass a sponge. As she did so, she realized gratifyingly that his hair was even messier than usual and his glasses were slipping down his nose.

They were about three-quarters of the way through the cauldrons when Lily finally rocked back onto her heels and looked over at him. “What time do you reckon it is?”

“Late,” he grunted, scrubbing at his cauldron. He lifted his sponge, peered closely at the side of the cauldron and, apparently satisfied, tossed the sponge in. “Or early,” he said, turning to look at Lily.

She rolled her eyes at him. “I figured that out for myself, thanks,” she sniped.

“Then don’t ask me,” he shot back.

She fished a frog spleen out from one of her yet-unclean cauldrons and threw it at him. It hit him in the shoulder and slid slowly down his arm.

“Hey!” he yelped, plucking it off. Then he wagged his finger at her, mock-stern. “That’s the kind of antic that landed us in detention in the first place.”

He flicked the spleen across the room, then looked at her sideways. “Hey, Evans?” he said softly.

“Yeah?”

“Do me a favor.”

“Depends,” she said suspiciously.

“Please never tell me what that was.”

Once again, he had surprised her into laughter, and she liked how comfortable it felt. He grinned crookedly—not quite at her, but near her—and said, “I wonder if Slughorn’s even here anymore.”

Lily scrambled to her feet. “Let’s go check!”

“I don’t think so,” James said. “I don’t want another detention for not taking my first detention seriously.”

“Please,” Lily said. “They wouldn’t do that.”

“You’d be surprised,” James said darkly.

“Fine, I’ll check,” Lily said. She hesitated, and then couldn’t resist adding, “Scaredy-cat.”

He shrugged and picked up his sponge again. “At least I won’t get another detention,” he muttered.

Lily tiptoed to the door and cracked it open. She peered outside, and was delighted to see Slughorn slumped forward onto his desk, fast asleep. Beside him was her wand and another that she assumed belonged to James. Emboldened by both restlessness and the empty tankard beside his head, Lily crept forward, grabbed the two wands, and dashed back into the other room.

James looked up as she entered; grinning wickedly, she tossed him his wand. “Slughorn’s asleep,” she half-whispered. “Looks like he’ll stay that way for awhile. Come on, let’s finish this job the easy way.”

James raised his eyebrows, looking between the wand in his hand and Lily. “Let me make sure I have this right,” he said. “Lily Evans—a prefect, Slughorn’s prize student, and all around goody-two-shoes—wants to cheat her way out of detention?”

“It’s barely cheating,” Lily said, shifting uncomfortably. “And I am not a goody-two-shoes!”

“So it would seem,” James said wryly, getting to his feet beside her. “All right, Evans, I’m impressed. Let’s do this, get out of here before dawn.”

Within the next ten minutes, the rest of the cauldrons were clean and stacked with the others. Lily wiped her brow with her forehead and said, suddenly tired, “We may actually get some sleep now.”

“Full moon tonight,” James remarked out of nowhere, and Lily looked at him.

“What does that have to do with anything?” she said.

He seemed to suddenly remember that she was there. “Uh, nothing,” he said hurriedly. “Let’s go wake Slughorn up.”

They went into the other room, set their wands back down beside Slughorn, and woke him up. He congratulated them on their work, handed back their wands (Lily tried not to look too guilty), and sent them on their way before trundling off to his own rooms.

Lily headed back towards Gryffindor Tower in a daze. She was halfway there when she realized James was no longer behind her. Disgruntled, she looked around, but he seemed to have disappeared. She sighed huffily and continued on her way, finally falling into bed just as the first pink tinges of morning stained the sky.

---

Beneath the Invisibility Cloak, James bolted for the front doors as Lily made her way towards the dorm. He hurried across the grounds, preparing to transform into his stag, when he saw a rat and a dog emerge from the Whomping Willow. He looked at them unhappily and pulled off the cloak.

The dog gave a loud bark and bounded forward, the rat scurrying to keep up. Suddenly tired, James sat down as Sirius trotted up and licked him on the face. Absently, James scratched the massive dog behind the ears. Sirius wagged his tail, then rolled over. James looked at him doubtfully.

“Padfoot,” he said, “I’m not rubbing your stomach.”

The dog turned back into Sirius. “Oh yeah,” he said sheepishly. “Sometimes I get carried away.”

Peter had also resumed his original form. “We missed you tonight,” he said to James, his nose still twitching a little.

James looked at them mournfully. “I know,” he said. “That detention ran way longer than I thought it would.”

“How was it?” Peter asked.

James shrugged. Sirius looked at him skeptically. “You spent a whole night locked in a room with Lily Evans and nothing happened?” he asked.

“Oh, please, Padfoot,” James said. “We’re barely speaking right now. I’m so over her.”

Both Peter and Sirius snorted at that. James looked at them sharply, and they both tried and failed to stifle their giggles.

“I am!” James protested, but it only made them laugh harder.

“Prove it,” Sirius said, a note of challenge in his voice. “Date someone else. It’s been awhile.”

“Not that long,” James said.

“Try a year,” Sirius said sourly. “I don’t think you’ve gone out with anyone since like, the middle of fifth year.”

“There’s no one I want to date!” James said, fidgeting uncomfortably.

Sirius rolled his eyes. “Sure there is,” he said. “Her name’s Lily Evans.” James opened his mouth to argue, but Sirius continued, “Don’t argue with me, Prongs. You’re not going to convince me.”

“Fine,” James said sullenly.

“Wolfboy was nervous without you around,” Sirius said to break the silence.

“Really?” James asked, looking up.

Peter nodded. “It’s like he knew something was missing. He kept looking back at the castle and whining, and he didn’t even try to eat me today!”

James was oddly touched. “I’ll be there next time!” he promised, getting to his feet. “We should probably try to get some sleep now though.” He pulled out the Invisibility Cloak, and, huddled under it, the three of them headed towards the castle.

---

A week later marked the end of January, a light snowfall, and Lily’s seventeenth birthday. She woke early that morning, savoring the quiet. It was Friday, she was of age, spring wasn’t far away
things were going well.

She was startled from her reverie by loud squealing; opening her eyes, she saw Mary hurtling towards her. Although their friendship had been strained lately it wasn’t over, and Lily appreciated this as Mary launched into a not-particularly-tuneful rendition of “Happy Birthday,” encouraging Leda and Amelia to join in.

The four of them went down to breakfast together, chatting happily. When mail came, Lily looked up expectantly, and was delighted at the small bundle of letters that landed by her plate.

She had already read a lengthy letter from her parents, as well as a somewhat shorter one from Petunia, when she realized the piece of parchment by her elbow. The handwriting was that of her mysterious letter writer. She hadn’t gotten one in so long that she almost knocked over her juice as she seized it eagerly.

Lily, it began,

I know you haven’t heard from me in awhile, and I’m sorry about that. I guess I realized that, maybe, it’s impossible for us to be friends, and maybe I should just let go and leave you alone.

But I can’t do that without saying something first. Maybe you’ll never know who this is, but I need to say it. I need to know you heard it, even if you don’t know who it’s coming from.

I’m in love with you, Lily. I don’t know how it happened—it certainly wasn’t on purpose, because you’re maybe the last girl in the school who would ever look at me like I could really mean anything to you. But I do. I love you, and I won’t stop. I just needed you to know that.

Happy birthday.

Lily put the letter down, stunned. She glanced furtively around the hall, but no one caught her eye, and she looked back down at the letter. Maybe I should have seen this coming, she thought, but I’m thrown.

The day passed slowly. Lily waited impatiently for classes to be over, but each one dragged on and on. When night had finally fallen and the students were left to return to the library or their various dorms, Lily cornered Mary in their common room. “I have to show you something,” she murmured, and dragged the small girl up the stairs.

“What’s going on, Lily?” Mary asked warily. In response, Lily shoved the letter into her hand.

Mary’s eyes widened as she read. “Oh, Lily,” she said softly when she got to the end.

“I know,” Lily said. “There are more.” She dragged the older letters out from beneath her mattress and dumped them on Mary’s bed.

Mary sat down and started sorting through them. “Wow,” she said. “I had no idea you were getting these.”

“I didn’t tell anyone,” Lily admitted. “I kind of liked having something like that to myself.”

“I don’t blame you,” Mary said, picking up the first letter. “And you have no idea who they’re from?”

Lily hesitated. “Well,” she said, “I have an idea.”

Mary dropped the letter. “Who?” she asked loudly.

“I think,” Lily paused, taking a breath. “I think it might be Severus.”

Mary bit her lip. “Oh,” she said. “Snape.”

“Yeah,” Lily said, almost apologetically. “I mean, the first one is an apology for what happened at the end of fifth year. And that’s when we stopped being friends—when he called me a Mudblood.”

“Yeah,” Mary said. “It does make sense. But Lily
that means he’s in love with you.”

“Yes,” Lily said dryly, sitting next to her. “I realize that.”

“Well do you
do you love him back?” Mary asked slowly, as though she didn’t want to know the answer.

“No,” Lily said at once.

“Really?” Mary perked up.

“Really,” Lily smiled at her. “I mean, come on, Mary, what do you take me for? I never had feelings for him when we were friends, and that was before he started hanging out with Mulciber and Avery and their kind. Before he seemed primed to join You-Know-Who
before he was the kind of person he is now.”

“I’m relieved,” Mary said, looking it. “I was never really sure.”

Lily laughed. “Don’t worry,” she assured her. “And anyway, there’s no way I could be in love with Snape now, not when I’m—”

“Not when you’re what?” Mary asked.

“Oh, nothing,” Lily said, shaking her head confusedly. “Um, anyway, I was thinking
I should still probably try and talk to Severus. I mean, I can’t just ignore something like this, especially if I know who it’s from.”

To her surprise, Mary nodded. “Yeah, I think you should,” she said, apparently much more tolerant of Snape now that she knew Lily harbored no secret feelings for him. “In the very least, you can remind him that nothing’s going to happen.”

Lily nodded distractedly and said, “I also just sort of want to know
if any part of him that I knew is still left over. I mean, if he’s writing these letters, then he’s still Sev, somewhere. And there might be a chance. To keep him from getting completely involved in the Dark Arts, I mean.”

She got to her feet. “Good luck!” Mary called after her.

Lily found Severus in the first place she thought to look for him—the Potions room. He was alone, she was relieved to see, leaning over a cauldron, looking focused.

Not knowing what to say, she knocked on the doorframe. He looked up, seeing her, and his eyes narrowed. “What do you want?” he barked.

Taking a deep breath, she approached him. “I want to talk to you,” she said, and looked at the cauldron curiously. “What are you making?”

“I’m experimenting,” he said evasively, edging the cauldron away. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Well,” she said slowly, “I’ve been getting some anonymous letters this year. Apologizing for last year, trying to be friendly, that kind of thing. And I thought they might be from you.”

“And?” he said, neither confirming nor denying that he had written them.

“And,” she said hesitantly, “well, the last one
in the last one, whoever wrote it said that he was, you know, in love with me.” She was rushing now, avoiding his gaze as she finished hurriedly, “And I just wanted you to know that, even though I’ve never felt the same way, I think it was really brave of you to tell me and I appreciate the gesture, and—”

“I didn’t write them,” he interrupted her.

“I—oh,” she said, falling silent.

Severus stood up, walking towards her deliberately. He stopped an inch away from her face, his black eyes boring into her green ones. “Did you really think,” he said, every word precise and cold, “that I would write something like that? We’re done, Lily. We’re out of each other’s lives. You made that pretty clear. And I’ve got to be honest, not having you around? It’s been kind of a relief. I can’t say I miss your whining or your nitpicking or any of your pathetic little thoughts. I’ve been getting some peace and quiet lately, and I’ve found my real friends. And you thought,” he paused and laughed once, brutally, before continuing, “you thought that I’m in love with you? I didn’t know you flattered yourself that much, Lily. Just so you know, I’d never, ever feel anything for a filthy, backstabbing, know-it-all Mudblood like you.”

Satisfied, he turned on his heel and stalked back to the table.

She swallowed hard. “Well,” she said, finally, her voice barely more than a whisper, “I’m sorry you feel that way.” And she turned and walked from the classroom, her head held high.

She didn’t run until she was sure she was too far for him to hear her footfalls speed up. But then run she did, tearing through the corridors, and finally, without thinking, really, where she was going, to the grounds.

Lily tore through the piles of snow, past the Quidditch pitch where she could see several figures on brooms swooping around—she couldn’t tell what House, and she didn’t care. She stopped at the edge of the lake, beside a wide tree, and leaned against it as she burst into tears.

She sobbed like she had never sobbed before. She pressed her hands into her face and cried, not just because of what Snape had said to her, but because this, more than anything, truly marked the end of the friendship. The old Severus, her best friend in both of her worlds, was dead now, and the boy who took his place was a mockery of the original.

After a few minutes, she felt the cold. The wind was picking up, and she hadn’t brought a cloak in her mad dash out of the castle. She bit her lip, but didn’t move—she didn’t want anyone to see her like this.

“Lily?”

She held her breath, startled. She saw, out of the corner of her eye, James Potter standing just behind her. He was wearing full Quidditch gear, and she realized that it was the Gryffindor team who had been practicing, and he must have seen her running across the grounds.

“Are you okay?” he asked, sounding worried.

She nodded, turning away from him so he couldn’t see her face. “I’m fine,” she said, putting a hand on the tree to steady herself.

She could feel him still standing behind her, reluctant to leave. Unintentionally, she felt a sob rip through her, and she put a hand to her mouth to stifle the sound.

James moved, and for a moment she thought he was leaving, but then she felt his hand on her shoulder. She tensed, and turned to face him, knowing full well he was about to take in her flushed and tear-stained cheeks.

He looked at her for a long moment, and then, to her surprise, he tugged her forward. Both of his arms went around her, and Lily pressed her face into his chest and let go.

No one had ever seen her cry like this—not Mary, not even Severus. And yet she sobbed into James Potter, feeling his arms tighten around her and the steady rise and fall of his chest. He held her until her tears had run their course. She took a few deep breathes, comforted by his warmth.

“Hey James?” she said finally, her voice muffled by the remnants of her cry and by the fabric of his sweater.

“Mhm?”

“You make me really mad sometimes.”

She felt his laugh rumble through him, and he rested his chin on top of her head. “I know,” he said. “You make me really mad sometimes too, Evans.”

Standing there in his arms, where he couldn’t see her face, she smiled.
Strange Bedfellows by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
There is quite a bit of Sirius in this chapter! He's a lot of fun to write.

For weeks to come, Lily would marvel at that moment. If anyone had told her that James Potter would be there for her when no one else was—and, even more so, that she had let him be there for her—she would have laughed. But the fact of the matter was that he had been there, and she had trusted him. He hadn’t asked what was wrong, hadn’t pressed for details of any kind, and she hadn’t offered them. He waited until she composed herself, then gave her his cloak and let her go.

The end result was that Lily Evans and James Potter were friends now, and no one was more surprised than Sirius Black.

“I don’t get it,” Sirius said to Remus and Peter one afternoon in early February. The three of them were sitting in a corner of the common room, books spread across the table. Remus and Peter were immersed in their books, but Sirius was staring broodingly across the room, towards the fireplace where Lily and James sat in armchairs, laughing about something.

“Don’t get what?” Peter asked. Remus, knowing where this was headed, kicked him in the shin, but it was too late.

“That!” Sirius said, gesturing wildly. “I thought he wanted to kiss her, not, I don’t know, do homework with her.”

Remus, looking put-upon, set down his quill. “I think he wants to do both,” he said patiently.

Sirius snorted less patiently. “Well he’d better get a move on,” he said.

“He looks like he’s doing just fine,” Peter said, abandoning his book to peer over Sirius’s shoulder.

Sirius shook his head. “Nope. Look at that. She’s not interested. He’s firmly in the friend zone. And the poor bloke is so far gone that he’s happy she’s even paying any attention to him at all. Let’s face it, Wormtail. We’ve just about lost him.” And he crossed his arms and slumped into his seat.

Peter looked alarmed. “Lost him?” he asked.

“Apparently he’s the type who ditches his mates the second a pretty girl walks by. The fact of the matter is we just can’t compete with Lily Evans.”

Remus, who had been mostly ignoring them until now, set down his book “Padfoot,” he said firmly, “cut it out.”

Sirius swiveled around to look at him. “Cut what out?” he asked, wounded.

“The moping,” Remus said irritably. “James finally might have a fighting change with Lily, and all you feel is threatened?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Sirius said haughtily. Peter looked back and forth between the two of them, his eyes wide.

Remus said. “You’re jealous,” he said simply. “And you shouldn’t be. James isn’t going to replace you. You’ve put up with each other for way too long, for one thing.”

Sirius scowled at him, but Remus just shrugged and burrowed back into his homework. After watching Lily and James chatting animatedly for another few moments, he returned to staring darkly at his own feet.

---

“I can’t believe you don’t like Quidditch!” James said to Lily, blissfully unaware that he was the topic if his friends’ nearby conversation.

“I don’t dislike it,” Lily protested. “I’ve just never really followed any sport.”

“But it’s not just a sport!” James said earnestly, leaning forward in his chair. “It’s
it’s
”

He waved his hands in the air, apparently at a loss for words. Lily laughed. “You’re doing a great job of convincing me,” she said dryly.

He made a face at her. “You know, it’s not just about the sport, really. It’s mostly about the flying. It’s amazing, really
” he trailed off, a dreamy, far-away look in his eyes.

Lily shifted uncomfortably. “To tell you the truth,” she said, “the flying is the part that terrifies me. I’m not really a big fan of heights. I haven’t even really been to that many Quidditch games. Leda always tried to get me to come and watch the matches, but I just got so nervous, watching everyone swoop around up there.”

And Severus and I used to take advantage of the near-empty castle to spend time together without being taunted, she thought, but she kept that part to herself.

But James was now looking amused. “You’re afraid of heights? You’re afraid of watching other people when they get too high?”

“Yes!” she said indignantly. “Why is that so hard to believe?”

He shrugged, still grinning. “I don’t know,” he said. “I just didn’t think you were afraid of anything.”

“I’m afraid of a lot of things,” Lily said softly.

“Like heights.”

“Yes! Like heights.” She paused. “And also snakes.”

James laughed outright, and she glared at him. “Oh, Wormtail—you know, Peter—is deathly afraid of snakes, too,” he assured her. “Although his fear comes from an admittedly awful experience—he almost got eaten by one once.”

“Eaten?” Lily said skeptically. “It must’ve been a pretty big snake.”

“Well, he also a lot, erm, smaller at the time.”

“So then, James Potter,” Lily said, leaning forward. “What is it that you’re afraid of?”

James laughed. “Oh, right!” he said. “Like I’m going to tell you that. You’d just use it against me, Evans, admit it.”

She sat back, open-mouthed. “I would not! Besides, I told you!”

He shrugged. “Hey, I didn’t force you. That was all your idea. And if you have any more interesting tidbits you’d like to share, then I’m all ears, but I’m not telling you anything.”

“Please?” she wheedled, but he shook his head.

“It’s going to take a lot more than that to persuade me,” he said.

“Just you wait until I get my hands on a boggart,” she grumbled, folding her arms. He burst out laughing again.

“Feisty redheads with a vendetta,” he said, smirking. “Now that’s something to be afraid of.”

---

James was not oblivious to Sirius’s foul mood, which persisted over the next few days. But an unhappy best friend was not something James was used to, and he spent a few days trying to figure out how to approach Sirius while simultaneously hoping that the snit he was in would blow over. But after a few days of dealing with Sirius’s almost unbearable silence—not to mention multiple meaningful looks from Remus—James finally cracked.

He entered the dormitory around midmorning on Saturday, fresh from an early Quidditch practice. Remus and Peter, it seemed, had already left for breakfast, and Sirius was sitting in the middle of the floor, putting on his socks.

“Are you going to go get breakfast?” James asked him.

“No,” Sirius said sullenly, looking out the window.

“Good,” James said briskly. “Then let’s talk.”

Sirius tried and failed to look as if this idea didn’t horrify him.

“Because you’ve been acting like a right prat,” James continued. “Really, Padfoot. It’s not like you, and it’s driving the rest of us insane.”

“I was much nicer than this to you when you were in your bad mood,” Sirius told him.

“That’s because I was reasonable upset,” James said with dignity. “You’re just being ridiculous.”

Sirius glared at him and stood up. “I don’t have to take this,” he said viciously. “If you want to abandon me for Lily Evans then that’s your prerogative. I know you’ve been waiting for it. But have the decency to leave me out of it.”

He started to storm towards the door but James leapt up and grabbed his arm. “You know perfectly well I’m not going to do that,” he said, his voice low. “You’re my best friend, and no one—not even Lily Evans—is going to change that. Besides, I’m not even dating her! We’re just hanging out.”

“I know that,” Sirius said, suddenly quiet. “I know you’re just friends right now and I guess
I just don’t understand why you need another friend. I’d get it if you were dating her, but we’re your friends. Do you really need more?”

“It’s not that at all!” James said almost violently. “First of all, I don’t just want to be Lily’s friend. But I only just got her to stop hating me, so I have to take this thing one step at a time here. Second of all, I have proof that I am not trying to replace Lily with you!”

“You do?” Sirius asked doubtfully.

“Yeah. What am I afraid of?”

Sirius raised an eyebrow. “Um,” he said, “being alone forever. Getting into some freak accident and getting so badly injured that it can’t be fixed and you can never play Quidditch or even fly again. Vampires, which I’ve never understood, since you run around with a werewolf. And you aren’t wildly fond of public speaking.”

James beamed at him.

Sirius shook his head. “How does that prove anything?” he said.

James clapped him on the back. “Just trust me this time,” he said. “You know more about me than anyone.”

Sirius eyed him dolefully. “If you say so,” he said. But he looked happier.

“I do,” James assured him.

Sirius punched him in the shoulder—perhaps harder than he would normally, but still teasingly. “So how’s that girl thing going, anyway?” he asked valiantly, and James grinned.

“It’s
a process,” he said. “And it feels different now. It’s not really about trying to impress her, or trying to con her into going out with me. It just feels more
real.”

Sirius made an impatient noise. “Honestly, Prongs, I still think you should just go for it and kiss her.”

“Yeah, you would think that,” James said, laughing.

“I’m just saying, if I were you, I would have kissed her already!” Sirius said, smirking. “Oh, wait
I have, haven’t I?”

James elbowed him. “Yes you have, you pig, and you’re supposed to never ever bring that up again.”

Sirius gasped, mock-offended. “Pig? Moi? I am a member of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, and I refuse to take such slander.”

“Not anymore you’re not, or don’t you remember running away?”

And bickering playfully, they headed down to the Great Hall together.

---

Sirius’s newfound understanding was not to go untested, however. The very next weekend was the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff Quidditch match, and Sirius, Remus, and Peter had just settled into their seats when Lily Evans slipped in beside them.

“What are you doing here?” Sirius asked, startled, as she sat down on his left.

“I’m here to watch the match,” she said, looking at him curiously. “Apparently they play Quidditch here.”

“I know that,” Sirius said, still surprised. “I just don’t think I’ve ever seen you here before.”

To his delight, she looked uncomfortable. “Yes, well, I thought it was about time I come show my support. We do have a couple of year-mates on the team you know.”

“I do know,” Sirius said, still amused. “I come to all the games. So who’re you here for, Leda or James?”

He raised his eyebrows, as she said nonchalantly, “Can’t it be both?”

Sirius had just opened his mouth to reply when Remus elbowed him in the ribs. “What are you doing, Padfoot?” he hissed.

“Oh, relax,” Sirius muttered back. “I’m just giving her a hard time.”

“I noticed that,” Remus said dryly. “Why?”

Sirius shrugged. “She wants to be one of us
she’s got to prove she can keep up.”

“Who says she wants to be one of us?” Remus asked.

“She’s here, isn’t she?” Sirius said.

“I don’t think she’s here because of us,” Remus pointed out. “She’s here because of James.”

“And the difference is?”

They studied each other for a few long moments until Remus finally looked down, laughing. “I know, I know,” he said. “If you know one of us, you know us all. But I just think you’re testing her.”

Sirius shrugged. “Maybe a little.”

“You always do like to be difficult,” Remus said affectionately.

“It’s not being difficult!” Sirius protested, lowering his voice even further. “It’s
well, look at it this way, Moony. He’s been pining over this girl for who knows how long, so maybe he can’t see things clearly right now.”

“I like Lily,” Remus said mildly.

“It’s not about whether we like her or not,” Sirius said. “It’s about whether she’s right for James! And whether or not he’ll be able to tell if she isn’t.”

“You’re over-thinking,” Remus said. “Just because she doesn’t seem to, you know, loathe him now doesn’t mean she wants to date him. She doesn’t seem more inclined than she ever was. And anyway, even if they were, is it really any of your business?”

“Maybe not,” Sirius admitted, “but it makes me feel better.”

Remus shook his head, grinning. “Have at it,” he said.

---

Lily, paying no attention to the whispered conversation beside her, stared at the Quidditch pitch with some trepidation. She hadn’t been lying to James—watching people fly did make her nervous. She still wasn’t entirely sure why she had come, and was thinking about leaving when Sirius turned his attention back to her.

“So I have a theory,” he said.

“I probably don’t want to hear this,” she responded, not looking at him.

“Probably not,” he responded cheerfully. “But as I was saying. I think you’re here for James, not Leda. Want to know why?”

“No,” Lily grumbled, but Sirius ignored her.

“Leda plays Keeper. And Keeper, while a valuable and important position, to be sure, just isn’t the most interesting to watch. Yeah, sure, they’ve been known to make some great saves, but if you really want to see an exciting game, you don’t watch the Keeper. And the Seeker will make a nice dive at the end of the game, but if you want to be entertained throughout, you keep your eyes on the Chaser. Which is what James is. And let’s be honest, Evans, he’s a very good Chaser. He really knows what he’s doing.”

“What are you, his press secretary?” Lily groused. “You’re like a dog with a bone.”

He considered this. “Not a bad analogy.”

“Whatever,” she said, rolling her eyes. “I guess I don’t need to ask you who you’re here to see.”

“You’d be pretty thick if you did.”

“Mmm. Hey Sirius?” she tilted her head to look at him, eyes innocently wide.

“Yep?”

“Remember that time someone slipped you a love potion and you were mysteriously infatuated with James Potter?”

He raised his eyebrows at her, flushing ever so slightly. “Hard to forget.”

“Yeah. Are you sure there was an actual love potion involved? I think you might just be that way naturally.”

Sirius opened and closed his mouth a few times, not saying anything.

“It’s okay if you are,” she assured him, trying not to smile. On his Sirius’s other side, Remus shoved a fist in his mouth to keep himself from laughing.

Sirius still appeared to be at a loss for words. He blinked at her.

“I like you much better like this,” she told him.

He shifted a little in his seat, before finally turning to her and saying, not without dignity, “So you haven’t been to too many of these games. Need help following along?”

“I think I can figure it out for myself, thanks,” she said pleasantly, turning her attention to the pitch, “but thanks for the offer.”

Sirius turned slowly to face a sniggering Remus. “She can keep up just fine,” he muttered.

---

James walked onto the Quidditch pitch with the rest of his team feeling confident. Confident, he told himself, not cocky. Hufflepuff has put together a good team this year, so this is no time to get ahead of ourselves. But the way we’ve been flying lately
 He grinned.

The air was crisp, and the sun hard against the few melting piles of snow that still lay on the grounds. It was the middle of February, but spring appeared to be coming early. It was cool out, but not freezing, and James beamed at the luck.

As he mounted his broom and pushed off from the ground, he took a look at the stands, scanning the Gryffindor section for his friends. He located them after a few moments—Peter bouncing excitedly in his seat, Remus leaning forward, his fingers together, Sirius lounging comfortably—and then, with a jolt, he recognized the girl beside his Sirius.

He couldn’t help the slow grin that crept over his face. Lily Evans at a Quidditch match. Something like nervousness flickered in his stomach. But that was ridiculous; he hadn’t felt nervous at a match since his first game, years ago. He did a quick loop-de-loop to calm down, and heard a loud whoop from the stands. Then he turned, facing the game as the Quaffle was released.

---

Despite her nerves, Lily had to admit that Quidditch was an interesting game to watch. But I am not, she thought irritably, going to turn into one of those girls.

Still, she did find herself watching James Potter more than she liked to say. He certainly was a good flier—even she, with her limited experience, could tell that. He leaned low on his broom, maneuvering tightly around the other players, making the flight look effortless.

Sirius glanced over at her, and grinned wickedly; he’d caught her watching James, and she scowled at him. He laughed outright, but stopped as he looked back at the game. “Oh, no,” he groaned.

“What?” Lily asked, alarmed, worried that someone had gotten hurt and she hadn’t noticed.

“James. He’s showing off,” Sirius sighed.

She looked up just as James spiraled towards the Hufflepuff Keeper, the Quaffle under his arm. He released the red ball at the last second, sending it soaring through the goalposts, then raised his arms above his head and turned a flip as the Gryffindors cheered.

“Oh,” Lily said, feeling a twinge of annoyance. Typical James Potter. Maybe he hasn’t changed that much, she thought, before asking, “Does he always do that?”

“Not lately,” Remus responded, and she leaned around Sirius to see that Remus, too, was frowning, his eyes on James. Peter Pettigrew, she noticed, wasn’t paying attention to their conversation, and was instead staring rapturously at the game.

“I thought he’d gotten over that,” Sirius said.

“He has,” Remus said. “At least usually. I guess you could say that today he’s
distracted.”

“What’s he distracted by?” Lily asked absently. When neither responded, she glanced over to see both of them staring at her. “What?” she asked, startled.

Sirius and Remus exchanged glances, Remus looking exasperated and Sirius mildly entertained. Then the crowd gasped, and all three of them looked up as James hurtled by, so close that they could almost have touched him. He hovered in the air, grinning loftily at all of them, and Lily felt her irritation level rise—apparently, he was as cocky as he ever was. But that feeling disappeared when the first Bludger hit him in the side of the head.

She could hear the crack from where she was sitting, and she gasped, involuntarily grabbing Sirius’s side. He, too, had straightened up, and was staring intently at his best friend.

James, dazed, had slipped sideways on his broom when the Bludger hit, but had managed not to fall off. He had one knee crooked over the handle, and was trying to pull himself back up, when a second Bludger hit him squarely in the face.

Lily and Sirius both leapt to their feet, Lily still clutching a handful of Sirius’s robes. James, blood streaming from his nose, fell backwards, losing purchase on his broomstick as he passed out. Lily watched horror-struck as he slid sideways, tumbling through the air, while his broom corkscrewed lazily into the stands without him.

He hit the ground hard, his glasses crooked on his face, long limbs askew. Lily, wincing, looked away at the moment of impact, noticing as she did so that Sirius, though he had placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, was staring at James’s crumpled body, all of the color drained from his face.

---

James woke by degrees. He was dimly aware of lying on the ground, and fluttered in and out of consciousness as he was transported to the hospital wing. When he came to fully, his first awareness was of someone holding his hand.

Slowly, he opened his eyes, and couldn’t suppress a grin at the sight of Lily Evans seated beside his bed.

She noticed that he was awake, and her whole body seemed to relax in relief. “See,” she said dryly, “this is what I hate about this sport.”

“I see you couldn’t stay away,” he said, tightening his fingers around the hand still slipped into his.

“Oh, please,” she said. “I just had to make sure you hadn’t killed yourself. Although it was your own fault.”

“Well, Evans,” he said, ignoring this last part, “I’m flattered you came to hold my hand.”

She snorted. “I am not holding your hand,” she said disparagingly, holding up both of hers.

Startled, he strained forward to glance down the side of the bed. Peter sat there looking worried, clasping James’s hand tightly between both of his.

“Peter!” James yelped, jerking his hand away. “What are you doing?

“Making sure you’re okay!” Peter said, looking at him earnestly.

“I’m fine,” James said, both irritably and fondly.

“Sure,” Lily interjected. “A cracked skull, a broken nose, and three splintered ribs. Just fine.”
“If I didn’t know any better,” James said, looking sideways at her, “I’d say you were worried about me, Evans.”

“Of course she should be worried!” Peter said indignantly. “This is what happens when you almost get yourself killed trying to show off!”

At that moment, Sirius poked his head inside the hospital wing. “Wormtail,” he growled, “get out here now. We have to tell you something.”

Peter got up and trotted through the door. There were the quick sounds of a scuffle and loud squeal from Peter, and then silence. Lily and James looked at each other, and then they both burst into laughter.

“Ow,” James said, still grinning, putting a hand to his side.

Lily sobered. “You know, he’s right,” she said critically.

“Peter?”

“Yeah. You got hurt because you just weren’t paying attention. As far as showing off goes, that’s not too impressive.”

James winced and looked away. “So I guess we lost, too, huh?”

“You didn’t, actually,” Lily said casually. “Your Seeker caught the Snitch right after you fell. What’s his name again?”

“He did?” James said, surprised. “He’s Mark Spinnett. He’s young, too. Only a second-year. I knew he had something special.”

“Yes, well, from what I gather, it was a pretty impressive save,” Lily said, smiling faintly. “It definitely won you the game.”

“Sure,” James grumbled. “Stupid Seekers. They get all the glory. They just have to catch one tiny little ball. Who puts in all the grunt work and the goal scoring? The Chasers. Who gets credit for the win? The Seeker.”

Lily looked as though she was restraining herself from rolling her eyes. “I don’t think you need any more glory,” she told him.

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” he said, turning his head to look at her. “Maybe I should try the quiet life for awhile.”

“It couldn’t hurt,” she said, looking amused.

Sirius stuck his head back through the door and cleared his throat loudly. Lily looked around at him. “Okay,” she said laughingly, as she stood up. “I’m going.”

“About damn time,” Sirius said, and winked. Lily punched him in the arm as she passed him.

“Are you friends now?” James asked Sirius, surprised, as soon as Lily had gone.

Sirius shrugged. “Well, watching you plummet to your near-death was a bonding experience,” he said. “She’s all right.”

James chuckled, shaking his head. “Where’s Moony?” he asked.

Sirius gestured towards the hall. “Restraining Peter,” he said. “I know you like it when he fawns over you, but really, I thought it was getting a bit excessive. Plus I didn’t think you’d mind a few minutes alone with Mademoiselle Evans.”

“You’re not wrong,” James admitted. “Thanks for that, Padfoot.”

“Honestly, Prongs, I’m a bloody saint,” Sirius said, looking at him mournfully.

“I know, I know,” James said, grinning broadly now. “I owe you my firstborn.”

“At least that,” Sirius said solemnly. “I’ll hold you to that.”

“I know you will,” James said, leaning back into his pillows and closing his eyes.
An Affair to Remember by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
It's Valentine's Day at Hogwarts...and we are back in the prank-pulling game!

------------

Lily let herself sleep late on Valentine’s Day. It was, conveniently, on a Saturday this year, with a Hogsemede weekend scheduled, so by the time Lily did wake up, her dorm room was empty. She took her time heading down to the common room, a few books in hand, expecting it to be empty. Much to her surprise, however, James Potter was lounging in an armchair by the fire. He turned as he heard her footfalls on the stairs, and waved. She hesitated for a brief second, and then walked over to sit beside him.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

James tilted his head in polite confusion. “Where should I be?” he asked.

“Well, it’s Valentine’s Day, isn’t it?” she said. “Shouldn’t you be
I don’t know, out? In Hogsmede or something?”

He raised an eyebrow at her. “I might ask you the same question,” he said.

Lily shrugged. “I’m not that into Valentine’s Day,” she said. “And I just meant, don’t the four of you always do something really elaborate?”

“Yeah,” James said. “And Sirius, Remus, and Peter are doing it. I just didn’t feel like it this year. And don’t try to tell me you aren’t into Valentine’s Day, Evans, I know that’s a lie.”

“No it isn’t!” she said indignantly. “What, you think just because I’m a girl—”

“No, no,” James cut her off. “It’s not that. Sirius loves Valentine’s Day more than anyone else I’ve ever met and he’s definitely not a girl. It’s just that I seem to remember someone getting a rather embarrassing display of flowers last year
”

“Oh yeah,” Lily said, guiltily. “I forgot about that. But I didn’t love it!”

“No?” he asked, and laughed as she shook her head emphatically. “Well, I don’t know. I just always kind of figured that the people who hate Valentine’s Day were the ones who didn’t, you know, get any attention on it. And that didn’t seem to be you.”

“Or,” she countered, “I might dislike Valentine’s Day because I recognize that it is a manipulative, fake holiday designed to allow boys to make over-the-top, completely unnecessary gestures to girls who may or may not return the interest.”

James looked at her queasily. “Be fair,” he said. “Sometimes it’s the other way around.”

She grinned. “Bad experience?” she asked.

He groaned. “It’s the reason I’m not taking part in this year’s extravaganza.”

Lily was smiling outright now. “There’s no way you’re getting away with not telling me this story,” she said wickedly.

James shot her a dirty look, and she smiled sweetly at him. He sighed petulantly and then said, “So last year I took Eleanor Greenglass—you know, the Hufflepuff a year below us?—because she’s a Beater on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team and she always seemed nice enough
”

I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with James Potter, Lily thought, watching him grow more animated as he got deeper into the story. Casual conversation and verbal sparring are one thing, but talking about past relationships
this is a whole other game. Lily hadn’t forgotten what had happened at the end of their fifth year; back then, it had meant the end of her friendship with Severus, and she had, at least in part, blamed James for that. But, she suddenly remembered, he had asked her out. It had seemed like such a joke at the time, but now she couldn’t help wonder how serious he had been
and if he ever wanted to ask her again.

Of course he doesn’t, she thought. Too much has happened. He barely knew me then. Besides, it’s not like I’d say yes if he did ask. Would I?

“
And she ended up chasing me around Hogsmede with her Beater’s bat, screaming that if we couldn’t agree on names for our first child, then we had no future together at all and I had no business asking her out,” James finished, wincing at the memory, and Lily laughed with him, glad to be pulled from the chaos inside her head.

“Okay,” she said. “I understand why you didn’t want to go this year.” He gave an exaggerated shudder, and she elbowed him in the side. “Who did the other three take?”

James thought for a minute. “Remus asked a girl from Ravenclaw. They’ve been studying together a lot recently,” he said, rolling his eyes. “And you know they’re going to spend this entire day talking about Transfiguration theory or something, and end up ditching out on the date part halfway through so they can go to the library.”

Lily smiled. “That’s kind of cute,” she said.

James looked at her disparagingly. “Not,” he said, “if it’s all he ever does.”

She held up her hands in mock surrender. “Okay, okay,” she said, laughing. “Who’d Peter take?”

“Leda, actually,” James said. Lily made a noise of surprise. “I know,” James sighed. “It doesn’t make sense. They’re both so shy
they’re just going to awkwardly not look at each other the whole time. Sirius and Mary are going to have to carry the whole afternoon.”

“Sirius and Mary?” Lily said, even more surprised.

“Yeah, he asked her awhile ago
didn’t she tell you?”

“No,” Lily said thoughtfully. “No, she didn’t. Mary and I aren’t
really as close as we used to be.”

“Oh,” James said uncomfortably. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

Lily shrugged. “It’s okay,” she said. “I mean, that meeting Marlene had at the start of term, about standing up to You-Know-Who
Mary walked away from it, and that was kind of what solidified it. But we’ve been drifting apart for awhile. She never really got why I was friends with Severus—”

“Lily,” James interrupted, “nobody got that.”

She glared at him, but otherwise ignored the interruption and continued, “And we just never really liked the same things. She always wanted to go down to the Three Broomsticks and see how many boys we could get to buy us drinks, and I
I don’t know. I wanted to do something more
exciting.”

“Exciting like
playing pranks on people?” James asked casually.

Lily looked at him. “Well,” she admitted, “I didn’t hate that.”

“I was hoping you’d say that,” he said, turning to look at the fire.

She watched him for a moment. His hazel eyes were thoughtful, cast into shadow by the black hair that fell rakishly in front of them. The firelight glowed warmly, softly illuminating the planes of his face—his cheekbones, the smooth angle of his jaw, the laughing curve of his lips


Flushing suddenly, Lily looked away. “Hot in here, isn’t it?” she asked, walking over to a window and pushing it open. After a few moments, he came and stood beside her, both of them leaning into the windowsill, their hips and elbows brushing.

“It’s snowing,” he said quietly.

“I noticed,” she said, just as faintly, but she wasn’t looking out the window.

“Lily
” he began, turning his head to glance down at her, and she looked away quickly, leaning farther out the window and sticking out her tongue.

“What are you doing?” he asked, sounding amused, and the moment broke.

“Trying to catch a snowflake!” she said cheerfully, turning back to him.

James bumped her with his shoulder. “It’s not snowing that hard, Evans,” he said.

“Well, you never know,” she said. “So, why were you hoping I’d say I enjoyed pranks?”

His smile was devilish. “Because,” he said, “it’s about time to pull a good one, and I was hoping you’d want to help.”

She turned to him, oddly touched at the invitation. “Count me in,” she said.

“Good,” he said. “I don’t know what to do yet, but it’ll give me a chance to show you the ropes.”

She looked at him in pseudo-outrage. “Excuse me,” she said sternly, “but I might know my way around better than you think. In fact—” she grabbed a handful of powdery snow from the windowsill and threw it in his face, “I already have an idea.”

James sputtered indignantly, spitting snow. “Oh, really?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she said, turning to face him, her hands on her hips. Then she told him.

A slow smile spread across his face, and his eyes blazed. “You know,” he said, “that’s pretty good.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “No need to sound so surprised,” she told him.

“Oh, don’t worry, Evans, I know you’re brilliant,” he said lightly. “Although,” he added, “I do think we’re going to need to enlist Sirius in this one. And probably Remus and Peter, too.”

“The more the merrier!” said Lily.

---

They spent all of that day planning, parting when the rest of the Gryffindors, pink-cheeked from the cold, streamed in from Hogsmede.

“See you tomorrow?” James said to Lily as they rose from where they were sprawled by the fire.

“Count on it,” she nodded. “Don’t forget to tell them,” she added, gesturing towards Sirius, Peter, and Remus, who had just come in through the portrait and were heading towards the stairs that led to their room.

“I won’t,” he promised, then hesitated. “Although
I didn’t really mind it being just us.”

Nearly at the stairs to her dorm, she stopped and turned, her vivid red hair settling loosely around her shoulders. “Me either,” she admitted. “But it is a pretty big prank. And you know Sirius would never forgive you for leaving him out.”

James acknowledged that this was true, and they both turned towards their respective dorms.

In his, James found his three friends in various stages of recovering from their Valentine’s Day dates. Remus sat by the window, devouring what appeared to be a new book.

I knew it, James thought smugly as Remus turned a page. Nerd.

He looked over at the other two, much to his shock, saw that Peter was lying on his four-poster looking dreamily at the ceiling, while Sirius looked disgruntled.

“So
how did it go?” James asked cautiously.

The question was directed at Sirius, but it was Peter who answered. “Wonderful,” he said rapturously, clutching his pillow to his chest. James looked at Sirius for confirmation.

“Well, it did for Wormtail,” Sirius said, looking miffed. “I swear, I’ve never heard him talk so much around a girl. I’ve never heard Leda talk that much, period. It was weird.”

James laughed, but stopped immediately when Sirius looked at him dangerously. “So, not so good with Mary then?” he asked, trying to keep a dour expression on his face.

“Eh,” Sirius muttered. “She was really
handsy.”

James snorted loudly, unable to contain himself. “What?” Sirius snapped, looking mutinous.

“I just—I’m sorry, since when has having a girl all over you been a bad thing?”

“I don’t know about you, Prongs, but I usually save groping under the table for the second date,” Sirius roared, outraged. “Excuse me for having principles!”

James collapsed helplessly into giggles. Peter observed him over the edge of his pillow. “It probably didn’t help,” he added, “that Mary wanted to go talk to the cute seventh-year boys at the next table over.”

Sirius growled and threw another pillow at him. Peter tucked it behind his head. “Thanks,” he said.

“Oh, don’t worry Padfoot,” James said, finally regaining control of himself. “Lily said that Mary’s pretty boy-crazy. Actually, wait, hey
” he said, as though this thought had just occurred to him, “she’s basically a girl version of you!”

“I am not boy-crazy!” Sirius said indignantly. “Or girl-crazy, for that matter. I just
like having fun!”

James snapped his fingers. “Fun! Right. Moony, get over here.”

Remus looked up suspiciously. “Why?” he asked.

“Because,” James said, “you’re going to love this prank.”

---

James woke early on Monday, excited. He lay in bed for a few minutes, trying to convince himself to go back to sleep, before deciding that that was quite enough of that behavior. He catapulted out of his bed and onto Sirius’s.

“Wake up, wake up, wake up!” James shouted, sounding for all the world as he had on Christmas mornings when he was a child. Sirius groaned and swatted at him. James took away his pillow.

As Sirius swore at him, James, convinced that his best friend was getting up, performed the same wakeup call on Peter and Remus. Peter curled into a tiny ball and tried to ignore him, but his resolve soon broke. Remus, as it turned out, had been awake for hours, reading his book beneath the bedcovers so they wouldn’t catch him and make fun of him.

James decided to let this slide. Instead, he hopped around the room putting his socks on, singing, “Operation Winter Wonderland is about to commence!”

Sirius and Peter, in various states of dishevelment, just watched him. Peter was puffy-eyed and yawning, and Sirius, whose normally elegant hair was tousled and sticking up in the back, said lowly, “What is wrong with you?”

James stopped singing and flung himself onto Sirius’s bed again. Staring his friend in the eye, James said seriously, “It’s prank time. Aren’t you excited?”

“Not as excited as you are,” Sirius grumbled. “It’s been who-knows how many years now, and the idea of spending time with Lily Evans still turns you into a four-year-old.”

James beamed and shrugged carelessly. Leaping back to his feet, he cried, “So do I need to walk you through the plan again?”

“No,” Remus and Peter chorused together, but James paid them no mind.

“We all go down to breakfast,” he said. “I find Lily, and we get under the invisibility cloak to cast the spell, because we very well can’t do it out in the open, can we? Then—”

“Hey Prongs,” Sirius said suddenly, “does Lily even know you have an invisibility cloak? You may have left out of the planning process.”

James considered this for a second. “Well,” he said, “she will. Anyway, next—”

“Okay,” Sirius said, cutting him off again with an air of finality. “We know what to do. It’ll be fine. It’ll be more than fine.” And he pulled on his robes emphatically.

---

Lily made her way down to the Great Hall alone, keeping her eyes peeled for the four boys her year. She had almost reached the doorway when a hand shot out from a nearby broom closet and pulled her inside.

“Okay, Potter,” she said, trying to sound stern, as her eyes adjusted. “This whole squeezed-into-a-broom-cabinet thing is getting old.”

“And hello to you too,” James said, and she guessed that he was smirking. “I just figured that, by this point, it’s a good-luck tradition. And also we couldn’t very well put this on outside, could we?”

A cool, flowing bundle of fabric was thrust into her hands, and Lily gasped. “Is this an invisibility cloak?” she asked quietly.

“Yep,” James said, sounding proud.

“Well,” Lily said dryly, “this certainly explains a lot about you.”

“Come on,” James said eagerly. “Let’s get this on.”

After some wriggling and rearranging, they managed to get the cloak to cover them both, although they had to crowd together to do it.

“All right,” James whispered, pushing open the door. “It’s show time.”

Lily, who told herself that she was not in the slightest distracted by the fact that his arm was around her shoulder, tucking her against his side—so he could hold the cloak closed, of course—slid her wand from her sleeve. “Ready when you are,” she whispered back.

Carefully, they made their way to the Great Hall, where breakfast was in full swing. “Well,” he said, as they slipped into a corner, “it’s now or never.”

Beneath the cloak, they both raised their wands and waved their wands in the identical motions that they had been practicing for the past few days. For a moment, Lily held her breath, convinced that it wasn’t going to work, and then snow began falling, fast and thick, from the ceiling.

Within minutes, the entire Great Hall was blanketed with several inches of fresh snow. Students were shrieking, both in shock and delight, and Lily spared one guilty glance up at the head table, where the teachers were desperately trying to figure out what was going on. Dumbledore, however, Lily realized, was not—he was still sitting at his spot at the table, his long fingers together, his half-moon spectacles perched on his crooked nose, an amused smile playing on his face. For one heart-wrenching second, she was sure that he looked towards the corner where she and James were huddled, but then his gaze slid to the side, and she breathed again.

“Time for part two,” she murmured, looking at Sirius where he sat at the Gryffindor table. Right on cue, Sirius sprang up, and flung the snowball he had packed between his hands at Remus. Remus retaliated, and then threw another at Marlene Mckinnon, who leapt up beside him, laughing, and lobbed a snowball at the Hufflepuff table.

“Yes,” Lily heard James hiss from her side, as though by common decision, almost every student in the Great Hall began shrieking and pelting snowballs at each other. Many of the Slytherins remained seated, but even they were caught in the crossfire, and Lily would later swear that she saw Dumbledore surreptitiously pull out his wand and use it to flick a few clumps of snow in their direction. Many of the other teachers seemed to be in the same mind—tiny Professor Flitwick was bowled completely over by a snowball, and he jumped to his feet and sent one right back. McGonagall looked disapproving for a moment, but then she returned to her seat, brushed the snow off, fished out her tea mug, and resumed drinking it.

“The Great Hogwarts Snowball Fight,” Lily said contentedly.

“They’ll talk about it for years to come,” James agreed, and she felt his arm tighten around her shoulders. “Do you want to go join in?” he asked her.

She paused for a brief second, and then, almost without thinking, slipped her arm around his waist and leaned her head against him. “In a little,” she said softly. “Right now, I just kind of want to look at it all.”

“Yeah,” James said. “Me too.” Together, invisible in a corner of the Great Hall, they stood and watched as their snow, ceaselessly, continued to fall.
Undercover by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
So this chapter is sort of the first half of a two-parter that just got a little too long. Enjoy! Review! I'll put the second part in queue as soon as this goes through.

--------

“So what’s home like for you, anyway?” Lily asked James one March afternoon in Potions. They were sharing a cauldron because James had begged her for her help (“Please, please, please, Evans, you don’t want me to fail, do you?”) and because Remus, who James usually turned to in times of academic crisis, was out sick.

“Home?” James asked, looking up from the salamander tail he was slicing. “I dunno, fine, I guess. Why?”

“That’s a lie,” Sirius said, sliding into the table beside them. “He loves home. He’s spoiled rotten.”

Lily looked curiously at James, who shrugged shamefacedly. “That’s
probably true,” he admitted. “My parents are kind of old. They didn’t think they were going to be able to have kids, and then I came along.”

“And he’s been getting pampered ever since,” Sirius added. James hit him in the head, protesting loudly, until Sirius finally sighed laboriously and amended, “Well, we’ve been doing our best to toughen him up. And it probably helps that, ever since I moved in with him last year, his mom’s totally found a new favorite child.”

“Why did you come over here, Padfoot?” James asked him pointedly.

“Well,” Sirius said sternly, “I just wanted to tell you that I don’t approve of this seating arrangement.”

James and Lily exchanged apprehensive glances. “Ours?” Lily asked.

“Yes, yours,” Sirius said petulantly. “It’s not fair that James gets all the Potions help.”

James rolled his eyes. “If anyone needs Potions help, it’s Wormtail,” he said, nodding in the direction of Peter, who was peering worriedly into a cauldron. “You know. Your partner. You left your grade in his hands again
you might want to give him some tips.”

Sirius raised an eyebrow. “Grades?” he said. “You’re thinking about grades? Evans, what on earth have you done with him?”

“Go,” James said sternly, and Sirius went.

“You know, sometimes I can’t tell if you’re best friends or if you hate each other,” Lily remarked as soon as he was out of earshot.

“We’re more like brothers,” James said. “So, you know. Both. Especially since he started practically living at my house during holidays. It definitely livens things up, though.”

“Is it that dull?” Lily asked.

“Oh, yeah,” James said. “It’s like living in a library.”

“I guess that explains why you get up to so much trouble here,” she laughed. “You should get a dog or something.

“No way,” he said vehemently.

She raised an eyebrow incredulously. “Not a dog person?” she asked.

He shrugged. “I like them fine. I just spend way too much time around them. I’m more of a cat person anyway. Don’t tell Sirius, he’d take it personally.”

“That you prefer cats to dogs?”

“Oh yeah.”

Lily shook her head. “I swear, I will never understand your relationship.”

“Probably not,” James said cheerfully. “I don’t think I do half the time. So why were you asking about home, anyway?”

Lily sighed. “I was thinking about summer,” she said. “And about how much I dread going home.”

“Oh, right, you go back to the Muggle world, don’t you?” James said, understanding dawning. “Are your parents not comfortable with the whole, you know, witch thing?”

“Oh, no,” Lily said, shaking her head. “My parents are great. It’s really my sister who hates it.”

“I didn’t know you had a sister,” James said, surprised.

Lily smiled wryly. “I think most of the time she pretends she doesn’t have one.”

There was a world of hurt in that sentence, and James looked at her more closely, concerned. “I’m sorry,” he said haltingly. “Are you—”

She waved him away. “Oh, it’s fine,” she said. “I’m used to it. It’s just weirder now because, well, you know. Severus always used to be around. And now he’s, well
not.”

“Right,” James said, suddenly cool. “Severus.”

They both glanced towards the other side of the room, where Snape sat, sharing a cauldron with one of his Slytherin friends. James was more than a little startled to see that Snape was already staring at the two of them, his upper lip curling in disgust. He caught James’s eye and raised an eyebrow tauntingly.

Hissing under his breath, James reached for his wand, suddenly flooded by anger. But he stilled as Lily put a hand on his wrist. “Don’t,” she said fiercely, “even think about it.”

James bit his lip and looked down at her. He opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, she continued, “I know he was provoking you, and he’ll probably always be provoking you, but don’t give in. Please.” She did not take her gaze off of his, her green eyes burning intently, and after a moment he let his wrist go limp, his wand dropping to the table. He glanced up at Snape, whose gaze was now fixed on James’s arm, where Lily was still touching him. Snape scowled venomously and looked away.

“I can’t even think about it?” James wheedled, and she smiled softly, releasing him, the tension between them dissolving.

“Well,” she allowed, “only a little.”

---

Spring came slowly to Hogwarts, bringing with it James’s seventeenth birthday. He’d been looking forward to it—not in the least because, as always, he still loved being the center of attention.

He didn’t entirely appreciate being roughly shaken awake, however, until he saw who was doing the shaking.

“Moony!” James yelped, hopping out of bed. “It’s full moon, aren’t you supposed to the Shrieking Shack for the week?”

Remus, who looked haggard and worn, gave him a weary smile. “Yeah,” he said, “but Dumbledore let me out for your birthday. Just for a little bit, don’t want to risk anything. But I didn’t want to miss it completely. Seventeen! It’s a big one.”

“I know,” James said, stepping forward to give his friend a quick hug. “I’m glad you’re here. I think it’s stupid that you have to stay in the shack all day when you don’t turn till the moon rises. We miss having you around.”

Remus looked at him sadly. “Well, it’s precautionary. I understand. But that’s not the point. I’m here for your birthday!”

“Wasgoinon?” Sirius said suddenly, waking up. He sat up sleepily, looked at them for a moment, and then raised both his hands in the air. “It’s Moony!” he cried. “It’s Prongs’s birthday! Are you two snuggling without me?”

James and Remus exchanged amused glances. “Morning, Padfoot,” James said.

Sirius blinked at them. “I want snuggles,” he said.

James, grinning, gave a long-suffering sigh and walked over to pat Sirius on the head. “I swear, you get more like a real dog every day,” Remus said.

“You’re one to talk, Wolfboy,” Sirius shot back.

“I can’t believe Wormtail managed to sleep through all of this,” James said thoughtfully. The three of them looked at each other for a moment, and then, as one, pelted towards the small shape of Peter, huddled under his blankets.

Peter squealed loudly as they landed on him. He attempted to stick his head under his pillow, but Sirius wrestled the pillow away and began happily whacking Peter with it. James and Remus, after the initial attack, retreated to the foot of the bed and leaned against the posts, laughing at their two friends.

“So do you do this kind of thing every morning?” said a voice from the doorway, and James looked up in surprise, his jaw dropping.

“Hey, Evans!” Sirius said merrily, waving Peter’s pillow at her. “You’re not supposed to be in here!”

Peter, for his part, yanked his bedcovers up to his chin so quickly that he knocked James off the bed and onto the floor.

“Hi, Lily,” Remus said, smiling at her.

“Aren’t you supposed to be sick?” she asked him as she crossed into their dorm, and offered a still-stunned James her hand. He took it and got to his feet, embarrassedly sitting back down on the edge of Peter’s bed.

“Oh, I am sick,” Remus assured her. “What are you doing in here?”

She scrutinized him. “Well, you do look kind of peaky,” she said. “And I’m here to wish James a happy birthday!”

James looked up, smiling shyly, as she stepped to stand in front of him. “Happy birthday,” she said, smiling mischievously, as if they were the only two in the room. And then she dumped a small, mewling bundle of fur into his lap.

“What is that?” Sirius asked in disgust.

“It’s a kitten,” James told him delightedly, picking it up. Tiny blue eyes blinked up at him from a puff of gray and black fur.

“Why did you get him a cat?” Sirius demanded of Lily.

She shrugged. “Well, Leda’s cat had kittens recently, and she didn’t know what to do with them, and I’ve been telling James that he needs to get a pet, so I thought it seemed like the perfect opportunity.”

James looked up to see that her eyes were on him. He raised his eyebrows slightly, and she winked—he knew that she, too, was remembering the question that they had had in Potions a few days earlier.

Lily looked back at Sirius, adding, “Plus it seemed like it’d make you mad, and you know I never get tired of that.”

Sirius made a face at her.

“Oh, lighten up,” she advised him. “You’re just mad because I’m making you look bad. I’ll see you all at lunch!”

All four of them watched her, slightly dumbstruck, as she walked from the room. “Oh, and happy birthday,” she called over her shoulder, and she was gone.

“She’s right,” Sirius said miserably, flopping backwards onto Peter’s bed. Peter, emerging from the bedcovers, patted him sympathetically on the shoulder. “I mean, look at him,” Sirius continued, gesturing towards James. “He’s a goner.”

“She got me a cat,” James said, still smiling dopily.

Sirius stared at him for a long moment, then reached over and smacked him on the head. “Snap out of it,” he said.

James frowned at him, and hugged the kitten to his chest.

“What are you going to name her?” Remus asked, chuckling.

“And if you say ‘Lily’ then I will hurt you,” Sirius warned. “Even if it is your birthday.”

“I don’t know,” James said thoughtfully. “Maybe something like Jinx. You know, since
Moony, are you drooling?”

“No,” Remus said guiltily, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “Okay, well, maybe, but it’s full moon! I have predatory instincts! I’m sorry!”

James and Sirius laughed, although Peter looked nervous.

“Come on,” Sirius said, checking his watch. “We’re going to be late for breakfast. That is, if you can tear yourself away from your new
pet, Prongs.”

“I’m going to have to get all kinds of stuff for her,” James said eagerly.

“What kind of man are you?” Sirius muttered under his breath, and began searching for his shirt. Then he stopped and looked back at James. “So,” he said, “Evans is really like, one of us now, isn’t she?”

James looked up at him, surprised. “Yeah,” he said, smiling slowly, “yeah, I guess she is.”

---

Lily went straight down to breakfast after leaving the boys’ dormitory, and she was scoping out a place to sit when she heard someone call her name. She turned, surprised, to see Marlene Mckinnon hurrying towards her.

“What’s up?” Lily said curiously, noting Marlene’s curious expression.

“Remember that conversation a group of us had at the start of term, about standing up to You-Know Who?” Marlene asked.

“Yeah, of course,” Lily said.

“Well,” said Marlene, “it’s high past time that we actually got to work on that. And I just talked to Professor Flitwick—you know, he used to be a dueling champion before he came back to teach, and he said he’s be glad to do a basic lesson on self-defense, which is a start! Are you in?”

Lily, who was trying and failing to imagine little Professor Flitwick as a dueling champion, nodded eagerly. “Of course I am!” she said enthusiastically. “When is it?”

“Tomorrow afternoon,” Marlene smiled at her. “I didn’t tell him exactly why we were interested—no need to broadcast it, I think—so he said something about making it school-wide. There will probably be a lot of people there, so make sure to tell your friends!”

“Of course I will,” Lily said, looking over her shoulder, “as soon as they get down here. It’s James’s birthday you know, so they might be taking their time
and Remus is sick again, so—”

“Oh,” Marlene said. “I meant like, Mary and Leda, you know, in case they’ve changed their minds since January
I think Frank’s telling the boys your year, so you don’t need to worry about them.”

“Right,” Lily said absently, “Mary. I forgot.”

“I noticed you two haven’t been spending as much time together,” Marlene said carefully. When Lily didn’t respond, she added, “I also noticed you’ve been spending a lot of time with James Potter.”

Lily looked at her sharply. “I guess I have,” she said.

“Are you two going out?” Marlene asked casually.

“What? No!” Lily said, laughing. “Of course not. It’s not like that. Mary and I just grew apart a little, you know, so I started spending more time with James, but I’m certainly not dating him.”

Marlene’s smile was a little too knowing. “If you say so,” she shrugged. “Although a year ago, some people would’ve said that it would be impossible for you two to ever be friends, and here you are.”

“I know,” Lily told her ruefully. “I was one of them. But things change.”

Marlene raised an eyebrow, and Lily swatted her, chuckling. “Not that much though, you’re crazy. We’re just friends.”

“Sure,” Marlene said, shaking her head and grinning. “I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon, Lily!”

Lily waved goodbye and went to sit down for breakfast. She was surprised a moment later as Mary slid in next to her.

“Hi!” Lily said enthusiastically. They had grown apart, as Lily had told both James and Marlene, but Lily did like being around the other girl every once in a while—conversely, now that they weren’t together that often, Lily found Mary’s quirks much more tolerable. And sometimes she liked a little girl talk.

“Hi,” Mary said back. “What did Marlene want?”

Lily told her about the dueling lesson, and they spent a few minutes happily trying to figure out how Professor Flitwick had managed to become a champion.

“Would you want to go?” Lily asked hesitantly, and as she expected, Mary shook her head.

“It’s not really my kind of thing,” she said unapologetically, and Lily nodded. “But,” Mary continued, “I have something much more important to talk to you about.”

“Oh, really?” Lily said, resisting the urge to laugh. “What’s that?”

“Well,” Mary said, leaning forward conspiratorially, “there’s kind of this rumor going around, and I just thought I’d find out from you if it was true. So are you really dating—”

“James Potter?” Lily interrupted, rolling her eyes. “Marlene just asked me the same thing, and no, I don’t know why everyone thinks that.”

Mary gave a tinkling little laugh. “Oh, not James!” she said. “Like you’d ever date him, please, I know you. You spent way too much time disliking him to ever see him romantically. No, no, I meant Sirius Black.”

Lily stared at her for a beat. “You think I’m dating Sirius Black,” she said, dumbfounded.

“Well
yes!” Mary said, still smiling beatifically. “I mean, you’ve been spending lots of time around all those boys, and I heard you were holding hands with him at the Quidditch match.”

“I was not,” Lily said indignantly. “I was holding his elbow. Because James had just fallen twenty feet off his broomstick and we thought he might be dead.”

“Well, you did kiss him,” Mary pointed out.

“Not because I wanted to, that’s entirely unrelated!” Lily cried.

Mary shrugged. “So I guess you’re not. I don’t know though, I think you should! You guys would be cute together. And if you were dating Sirius and I was dating James, we could double! It would be so much fun!”

Lily spat her mouthful of juice onto the table. “You’re dating James?”

Mary laughed again. “Well, no, silly, not yet. I think I’m going to ask him out later today though. I mean, if that’s all right with you?”

For some reason, Lily was, at that moment, quite cheerfully contemplating socking Mary in the nose. Well that’s just ridiculous, she thought to herself. Of course it’s all right with me.

“Fine by me,” she said aloud. “He’s fair game.”

“Oh,” Mary said, sounding surprised. “Well, okay then. I’ve got to run now, though, I’ll see you later!”

She didn’t wait to hear Lily’s response, just leapt to her feet and half-ran from the Great Hall.

---

As this conversation was unfolding, James, Sirius and Peter had just entered the Great Hall and were heading towards the Gryffindor table. James was quite surprised to see Mary Macdonald see them as they entered, stand up, and make a beeline for them.

“She looks kind of annoyed
” he muttered to Sirius and Peter.

“Mayday,” Peter hissed back, but promptly shut up as Mary reached them. She nodded curtly, then grabbed Sirius by the arm and started dragging him from the hall.

“Hey!” Sirius yelped. “What’re you—I’m going to miss breakfast!”

“Shut up and come with me,” Mary commanded, then looked at James and Peter. “I’ll have him back to you in a few minutes. Happy birthday.” And then she left, taking a protesting Sirius with her.

James and Peter looked at each other, chuckling. James looked over at the Gryffindor table. “Hey, there’s Lily,” he said.

Peter gestured towards her grandly. “After you,” he said, and they headed over.

---

“We,” Mary said to Sirius, hauling him into an empty classroom, “have a problem.”

Sirius rubbed his arm gingerly. “And you have quite a grip,” he groused.

Mary rolled her eyes. “Oh, toughen up,” she said.

Sirius resented being told to toughen up by anyone, but especially by a girl who was half his size, and whose eyelashes, he noticed, looked entirely too long to be real. He was about to say this, but Mary was talking again.

“It’s Lily and James,” she said, and Sirius looked at her in surprise.

“What about them?” he asked.

“It’s hopeless,” Mary said dramatically, flinging herself down into a nearby desk. “They’re never going to get together on their own. Do you know what I just did?”

Sirius did not.

“I just asked Lily how she felt about me dating James,” Mary said, looking horrorstruck, “and she said it was fine!”

Sirius did not quite see the problem. “Wait,” he said, confused. “You want to date James?”

“Of course not,” Mary said, looking at him despairingly. “I just said that because I was trying to get her to admit that she likeds him. But Sirius, I don’t think she even knows that she likes him!”

“Well, maybe she doesn’t,” Sirius said reasonably, edging towards the door. “Anyway, it’s none of our business whether she does or doesn’t like him, and we should probably just stay out of it.”

“But that’s no fun,” Mary said petulantly. “Besides, you’ve seen them together recently. They’re practically dating as is.”

“Even more reason for us not to interfere,” Sirius said. “They’re doing just fine on their own.”

“No they aren’t!” Mary said, actually stamping her foot. “And I can’t just sit by and watch nothing happen.”

“Then start a betting pool,” Sirius advised her. “Have people predict when they’re going to finally get together. You’d probably make a good chunk of money. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to go eat.”

Mary looked as though she was actually considering this as Sirius bolted from the classroom.
Between the Lines by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
This is part two of the last chapter, so it's a little shorter than usual. But after this, there's only one or two to go! Hope you enjoy it!

----------------------

“More crowded than you thought it’d be?”

Lily half-turned, grinning, as James spoke in her ear. “Much,” she said. “Look, there are even Slytherins here.”

Words of Professor Flitwick’s dueling lesson had spread like wildfire—so much that it had been moved from the Charms classroom to the Great Hall. A large number of Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaws were scattered throughout the hall, and a fair amount of Slytherins were huddled together.

Lily had come down with Marlene, and James, Sirius, and Peter had arrived moments later, panting.

“We’re not late, are we?” Peter asked, as Flitwick, who looked extremely excited, began moving through the crowd, partnering them up. He was so short that Lily could frequently only see the top of his pointed hat bobbing between students.

“Almost,” she told Peter, who was red-faced and puffing.

“It makes life more exciting!” Sirius said loftily. “You’ve got to live a little on edge.”

“Which is kind of why we’re here,” Lily said dryly as Flitwick reached them.

“Splendid, splendid!” the tiny wizard squeaked upon seeing them. He eyed Sirius and James, saying, “No Mr. Lupin today?”

“No, sorry Professor, he’s sick
”

“He really wanted to come, but
”

Flitwick waved them away, and said, “No matter, no matter. Mr. Black and Mr. Potter together then, and, ah, Miss Mckinnon why don’t you partner with Miss Evans, which just leaves Mr. Pettigrew. Hmm, odd man out, I’m afraid. Well, you’ll simply have to
ah! Mr. Snape! Perfect timing, you’ll be Mr. Pettigrew’s partner.”

It was hard to say who looked more horrified—Peter twitched violently, and Severus, who had just dashed into the Great Hall, looked rather as though he wanted to dash back out again. Flitwick, seemingly oblivious to the sudden tension, glided serenely away.

James and Sirius exchanged anxious glances as Flitwick instructed the pairs to begin practicing Shield Charms. Lily shot several low-key Stinging Hexes at Marlene, who deflected them, then turned to look worriedly at Peter and Severus.

Peter, who looked extremely nervous, appeared to be doing nothing more than shooting sparks at Snape, who looked bored. As bad as she felt for Peter, Lily relaxed. What’s the worst that could happen? she thought.

After a few minutes of this, Professor Flitwick called for them to change attackers. As Lily prepared to cast a Shield Charm, she noticed that Severus was looking across the room. Following his gaze, Lily saw his friend Mulciber, on the other side of the hall, nod once, smirking.

Lily’s gut clenched, and she started to step forward—to say what, she wasn’t sure—when Snape raised his wand above his head and shouted a spell she didn’t recognize.

A huge cobra shot from his wand, landing a foot away from Peter, who recoiled in terror. Lily recalled the conversation she had had with James over a month ago—“Oh, Wormtail—you know, Peter—is deathly afraid of snakes.” She looked up, horrified, vaguely aware that, around her, most of the Great Hall had gone silent. The snake hissed dangerously.

Suddenly, Lily was jostled to the side as James pushed past her. He sprinted towards Peter, who still stood frozen, pointed his wand at Severus and cried , “Expelliarmus!”

Severus’s wand flew into the air, and he was blasted off his feet after it. The cobra twisted and vanished as he landed hard, wincing. Slowly, deliberately, James approached him, his wand arm outstretched. From flat on his back on the ground, Snape stared up at him loathingly. Lily held her breath as the two locked eyes.

After a long moment, James scowled and shook his head. “You’re not worth it,” he said quietly, tucking his wand into his sleeve. Then he turned his back and strode towards Peter, clapping him on the back.

Unlike almost everyone else in the Great Hall at that moment, Lily was still watching Severus, who was watching James venomously. She watched him scramble for his wand, getting to his feet, and just as she thought, No, he couldn’t possibly, she watched him point his wand at James’s turned back. Without thinking, she screamed, “Look out!”

James heard her and started to turn around, just as Snape, a dark, ugly look twisting his face, cried, “Sectumsempra!”

For a moment, Lily thought nothing had happened. The Great Hall was deadly silent; Severus still stood with his arm outstretched, breathing heavily. And James put a hand to his side and the dark stain that was spreading there, and he fell to his knees. Lily stopped breathing.

The Great Hall erupted; Lily was dimly aware of a cursing Sirius being restrained by Frank Longbottom, of Peter backing, horrified, into the crowd, of Professor Flitwick desperately trying to regain order, of Severus still standing, his wand now limp at his side. And without thinking, without even realizing how she had gotten there, Lily shoved through the mass of people now crowding around James, and knelt beside him.

He was on his back now, breathing shallowly, the hand that had clutched his side now slick and red. Lily grasped it, not caring that she was getting his blood all over her hands and her robes. He turned his head and their eyes locked, and after a moment she realized he was saying something. His voice was so faint that she had to lean forward to catch the words.

“I’m sorry,” he was saying, “I’m sorry, Lily, I’m sorry.”

She was suddenly aware that her eyes had filled with tears, and she blinked them away, almost laughing as she tightened her grip on his hand and said softly, “What on earth are you sorry for?”

James took a deep, painful breath and said, “For attacking Snivellus. I know I shouldn’t have
I know I
but Peter couldn’t, he was going to, he
”

“Shh,” Lily said, concerned, and she leaned closer to him. “James,” she said wonderingly, “I’m on your side. Don’t you know that? I’m on your side.”

She felt his fingers tighten in hers for a minute, and then go limp as he passed out. She looked up to see Flitwick hurrying towards then. Severus, she saw, had disappeared.

---

When James woke in the hospital wing, it took him a moment to remember what had happened. As soon as he did, he pulled up his shirt, wincing slightly as he did so. A long, thin scar ran across his ribs on his right side; it already looked several weeks old. He prodded at it curiously, and pain lanced up his side.

“Ow,” he muttered.

“Don’t touch it, Prongsy,” he heard an amused voice say, and he looked up in alarm. Sirius and Lily were both curled in chairs near his bed, and Remus was fast asleep in another.

“Oh, hi,” James said, immensely happy to see them. “Weren’t we just here?”

“Yes,” Lily said, looking exasperated, now that she knew he was all right. “You have to stop ending up in the hospital wing.”

“I know,” James said sheepishly, then looked at Sirius. “So, uh, Remus looks better,” he said pointedly.

Sirius understood. “Yeah, you’ve been in here over a day,” he said. “Moony got back this morning.”

“A day,” James said wonderingly. “It was just a cut, though. I mean, you’d think Madam Pomfrey could have fixed that up in a heartbeat
”

“It was a curse,” Lily said, and James looked at her, surprised at how dark her voice had gotten. “You’re really lucky, actually. The curse barely hit you, just glanced off to the side. You may not even have a scar, with all the Dittany Madam Pomfrey’s been giving you.”

For the first time, James looked a little frightened. “Wow,” he said quietly. “That serious, huh?” When they nodded, he cleared his throat hesitantly, and then asked, “So, what happened to Snape? And where’s Peter?”

Lily and Sirius looked at each other, and then back at him. “Well,” Sirius began, “Peter’s
not here. He took the whole thing pretty hard, you know, seems to think it was his fault. He took off awhile ago, and we let him.”

“Severus is in pretty big trouble,” Lily told him, and James noticed how upset she looked. Much as he liked to flatter himself, he knew that his injury wasn’t the only cause of her distress.

“He didn’t get expelled,” Lily continued stonily. “He should have. I don’t know, I just never
never thought he could do something like that, even after
” She trailed off, shaking her head. “Anyway, I’m not sure what they’re doing with him. He said he didn’t know what that curse did, that he just read it somewhere.”

“Do you believe that?” Sirius asked her carefully.

She hesitated, then shook her head. “I think he knew exactly what it did,” she said. “Severus, he
he liked to experiment. With Potions, spells, that kind of thing. Anyway, it’s up to Dumbledore to figure that out, not us.”

Sirius looked as though he didn’t agree with this idea at all, but James caught his eye and shook his head once. “Let it go, Padfoot,” he said gently. For now.

Sirius sighed huffily and sat back in his chair. James squirmed restlessly, and winced as his side twinged again. Lily looked at him worriedly. “We should go,” she said. “We should let you rest.”

James groaned. “Don’t leave me!” he cried, throwing his hand across his forehead, mock-dramatically.

Sirius stood up. “Evans is right,” he said. “Pomfrey’s already tried to kick us out a few times today. You need to go back to sleep.”

“Following the rules, Padfoot?” James teased, but he yawned even as he was saying it—they were right, he knew.

Sirius went to wake Remus up as Lily got to her feet. She paused for a long moment, looking down at James. “So,” she said, “I talked to Marlene, and she was thinking we’d continue this dueling practice thing—only on a much smaller scale. You know, just the group of us who were talking at the beginning of term. We got a pretty good idea of where to go from Flitwick. She’s thinking about starting next week—once you’re back on your feet.”

She turned to go, but James reached out and grabbed her wrist. “I’ll be there,” he promised, and she smiled down at him, almost sadly.

“Feel better,” she said, and then surprised him by leaning forward to brush a kiss on his forehead—so softly that after she left, he would wonder if he imagined it.

---

True to his word, James was back on his feet by the time his friends met to practice Defense Against the Dark Arts. He arrived in the empty classroom they were using, still a little stiff and sore, but eager to start.

Lily was in one corner of the classroom, practicing Stunning with Marlene and Frank Longbottom. She saw James come in—late, as he had only just gotten the all-clear from Madame Pomfrey—moving gingerly but resolutely towards his friends. She watched for a moment, unsure of whether she should go greet him or not, before Marlene hit her with a Stunning spell from behind.

“Don’t look at me like that,” Marlene said to Frank as Lily dropped to the floor. “She wasn’t paying attention.” Glancing over at James, she smirked.

James himself had reached the side of the room where Sirius and Remus were. Seeing him, Sirius yelped delightedly and ran over to pound him on the back. James, though laughing, hissed slightly in pain and put a hand to his side. “Careful, Padfoot,” he said.

“Sorry, mate!” Sirius said cheerfully. “It’s just so good go see you vertical.”

Remus, who had been scrutinizing James worriedly, slid down from the desk he was sitting on and asked, “Are you sure it’s okay for you to be up and moving around like this?”

“Yeah,” James assured him. “I’m just not supposed to do anything too physical, you know. I won’t be back on a broom for days.”

Remus shook his head, looking exasperated. “And you don’t think that, oh, say, practicing upper-level Defense Against the Dark Arts counts as physical exertion?”

“No!” James said hotly. “I mean I won’t be getting Stunned anytime soon, but we could do something less
interactive.”

“Like what?” Remus asked him critically.

“Like
” James thought for a minute. “Patronuses!”

“I give up,” Remus muttered.

“You worry too much, Moony,” Sirius said.

“Well, somebody’s got to,” Remus said, shrugging.

James looked around the room. “So,” he said, trying to sound nonchalant, “Wormtail’s not here?”

James and Sirius exchanged glances. “Well,” Sirius said haltingly, “no, I don’t think he’ll be coming. He wasn’t really into it, after last time, and I think he might still blame himself.”

“It’s a self-preservation thing, James,” Remus said softly. “Just give him time.”

James nodded mutely, and then looked at Sirius. “So,” he said. “Patronuses? After you.”

“Me first?” Sirius asked, surprised, and James grinned.

“Well, yeah,” he said. “We all know that Moony doesn’t really need the practice, and I just got here.”

“You’re just scared you won’t be able to do it,” Sirius told him, but before James could protest, he pulled out his wand and cried, “Expecto Patronum!”

A great, silvery dog burst from his wand and padded across the classroom floor. “Hi,” Sirius said to it happily, beaming.

“Show-offs,” James heard someone say, and looked around to see Lily standing by his elbow, grinning at him.

“Excuse me,” he said to her, mock-stern. “We are practicing Defense Against the Dark Arts here.”

“Sure,” Lily said, peering around him at Sirius’s dog Patronus, which wagged its tail. “And you go straight for the flashy ones.”

He crossed his arms and looked at her, saying, “Let’s see you do it.”

“Oh, I can make a Patronus,” she assured him, her eyes sparkling, “but I’m not sure you can.”

“Can, too!” he said indignantly.

“Let’s see,” Lily said to him, hands on her hips.

“C’mon, Prongs,” Sirius called.

“Fine,” James said, rolling his eyes. “But I’m not letting you off the hook, Evans.” Raising his wand, he shouted the incantation, and stepped back, satisfied, as his stag cantered off to join Sirius’s dog.

“Nice,” Lily told him.

“Thanks,” James said smugly. “Your turn.”

But Lily didn’t appear to have heard him; she was looking intently at the ghostly stag still standing in the middle of the classroom.

Prongs? she thought, glancing back at James. No
no way


But she had remembered, quite suddenly, all the arguments she used to have with Severus about Remus’s disappearances, and she stared once more at the dog and the stag, side-by-side, gazing back at her.

“I have to go,” she said vaguely, turning towards the door. “I’m sorry, I forgot about
have to check something
I’ll see you all later!” And she turned and dashed from the room.

James watched her go, slightly crestfallen, and more than a little bewildered. Sirius came and stood beside him.

“That,” he said pointedly, “is a very strange girl.”
So Close by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
So this is the second-to-last chapter. Ah! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it, and keep your eyes peeled for the last chapter of "Trickster," coming soon!

------------------

“All right, ladies and gentlemen,” Sirius said, peering around a bookshelf in the library, “let the betting commence.”

“A week,” Peter said instantly, “tops.”

“Two,” countered Frank Longbottom.

“No way,” Mary said, shaking her head. “Not until next year, if then. Lily can be pretty dense about this stuff.”

“I don’t know,” said Marlene thoughtfully. “Some people thought they’d never get to where they are now, and they did.”

“This is stupid,” sighed Remus.

The six of them were hiding in library stacks, pushing aside books so that they could get a clear view of the table where Lily and James sat together, ostensibly studying.

“It’s not stupid!” Sirius said indignantly. “If they’re going to take forever to get together, we might as well make a couple of Galleons off of it!”

Remus looked at him, raising his eyebrows slightly.

“Well it was Mary’s idea,” Sirius said guiltily.

“No it wasn’t,” Mary said vaguely, examining her cuticles. Sirius frowned at her, but she didn’t notice.

“Come on, Remus,” Marlene said, nudging him teasingly in the side. “You aren’t even going to take a guess?”

Putting down the book he had balanced on his knees, Remus glanced over to the table where Lily and James were both leaning over the same piece of parchment, grinned lopsidedly, and said, “End of the year.”

“No way,” said Peter and Mary simultaneously, then looked at each other and burst into laughter.

Remus looked up at Sirius. “Aren’t you going to make a bet?” he asked.

Sirius looked down at him. “Oh, no way,” he said. “I’m not going to try and make money off of my best friend’s happiness. What kind of person do you think I am?”

Remus rolled his eyes.

---

“Come on, Evans,” James groaned, dropping his head onto his arms. “The Potions exam isn’t for another two weeks, we don’t need to be studying for it this much already!”

Lily, turning over a page of her notes, said, “Two weeks is nothing. Do you know how many different Potions we have to get through before then? Although,” she paused, looking worried, “I am a little nervous about the Charms exam.”

“Charms?” James said doubtfully, lifting his head. “Charms is always a breeze.”

Lily scowled at him. “For you, maybe.”

“For you too,” James told her. “Didn’t you get like, a hundred and eight percent on the last exam?”

“And how would you know that?” Lily said teasingly. “Anyway, it’s not really Charms in general I’m having trouble with, just the Vanishing Charm. I can’t get the hang of it.”

“You have time,” James yawned, sitting up and rumpling his hair.

They had grown even closer over the last few weeks of term—she had with all of the boys her year. When Gryffindor won the Quidditch Cup, Lily and Sirius had thrown an impromptu celebration in the common room, and she had been among the first to congratulate James, throwing her arms around him in a hug that would linger with her for days. When Peter had produced his first successful Patronus, she had been there to see it. And when Remus disappeared again, she kept one watchful eye on the moon and worried about him.

“I just wish I had something to practice Vanishing,” Lily muttered now, gazing surreptitiously around the library. Her gaze fell on Isaac Smith, who was sitting a few tables over, sucking on the end of his quill as he regarded a stack of parchment. With a rather vindictive smile, she slid her wand from the table and whispered something.

James jumped mid-stretch as the spell flew past him, and looked over just in time to see Smith’s quill disappear. The burly Hufflepuff looked at his now-empty hand stupidly for a moment, and then began pushing aside his stacks of parchment.

“Ha,” Lily said, sounding satisfied, and James gaped at her.

“I can’t believe you just did that,” he said, slightly shocked.

Lily shrugged smugly. “I can break the rules too, you know,” she said.

“Yeah, well, no doubt,” James said, laughing and shaking his head.

“Come here,” Lily said, reaching towards him. “You have ink on your face.

He leaned forward obediently as she rubbed her thumb against the swipe of ink on his cheekbone. From his hiding space behind the bookshelf, Peter Pettigrew whispered loudly, “Three days!”

At that moment, James turned his head towards the stacks; for a moment, his lips were pressed against Lily’s palm. Peter, who was peeking out from behind the bookshelf, ducked back out of sight.

James turned back to Lily, looking amused. “So,” he said casually, “you do know that there’s a whole group of people back there watching us.”

Lily gazed upwards, sighing. “They’ve been back there forever,” she said. “Mary and Marlene keep popping up and whispering, like they think I won’t notice.”

James chuckled, pretending to flip through a sheaf of notes. “What do you think they’re talking about?” he asked.

“Well, us, obviously,” Lily said, stealing the notes from him so she could actually read them.

“I know that,” he said. “I meant what do you think they’re saying?”

Lily looked over at the bookshelf concealing their friends. “Oh, who knows,” she said. “They’re all way too giggly for it to be anything reasonable.”

James glanced up sharply. “What, you mean like they think we’re going out or something?” he said, his voice very controlled.

Lily shrugged, not looking at him. “Yeah,” she said, scribbling something in the margins of her parchment. “Something ridiculous like that.”

His laugh, when it came, sounded rather forced. “Oh, come on,” he said. “It’s not that ridiculous.”

She looked up at him, suddenly serious, those startling green eyes wide. “Well,” she said slowly, “I mean
you weren’t planning on asking me out again, were you?”

He held her gaze for a long moment before giving a short bark of a laugh and saying, “No. No, Evans, don’t worry. I wouldn’t do that again.”

Lily wasn’t aware that she hadn’t been breathing until he finished speaking, but as he bent back over a book, she exhaled in a whoosh. “Oh,” she said faintly. “Well
good, then.” But after a moment, she began shoving books and parchment haphazardly into her bag.

“What’re you doing?” James said, alarmed.

“I have to go,” Lily said distractedly. “Sorry. I just
have to.” And throwing her quill into her bag, she turned on her heel and walked briskly from the office.

“Damn,” Sirius hissed from behind the bookshelf as a bewildered James watched her go, struck quite suddenly by the fact that he was, once again, watching her walk away.

---

Except for classes and meals, Lily kept to the girls’ dormitory, staying away from the common room, the library, and other public places. After a few days of this, she figured that James would’ve realized she was avoiding him.

She wasn’t entirely sure why she was avoiding him; she just knew that their last conversation in the library had been something like a blow to the stomach and she had absolutely no desire to see him for a good long while. She refused to consider the reason behind this, however, and threw herself wholeheartedly into her studies—final exams were fast approaching.

On the eve of the sixth-years’ Transfiguration exam, however, Lily was so sick of her dorm room that she felt like screaming, and Mary was hinting that she might like to go to bed soon, so Lily gathered her notes and decided to risk the common room. To her relief, it was nearly empty—it was late enough on an exam night that most students had chosen a good night’s sleep over the extra hours of studying. There were a group of seventh-years, preparing for the start of their N.E.W.Ts in one corner, and at a far table by the window sat Remus Lupin.

Seeing him, Lily hesitated for a moment, torn—he was James’s friend, but she had something unrelated she’d been meaning to talk to him about.

Remus looked up as she approached, smiling tiredly. “Hi,” she said. “You’re up late.”

He shrugged. “I work better at night,” he said.

He was cautious—Lily could tell he thought she’d come to talk about James, and she appreciated that he wasn’t asking her outright. Part of her, she realized, actually did want to talk about James, but she suppressed that particular impulse.

“Me, too,” she said, sliding into the seat opposite him at the table. She paused for a moment, eyeing the crescent moon that hung outside the window, considering her words carefully. “So,” she said slowly, “lucky exams aren’t during the full moon, huh?”

His face betrayed no emotion, but his elbow slipped off the table, and she noticed the end of his quill quivering as he clutched it. “So,” he said, his voice low and controlled, “you know.”

Lily swallowed and nodded once.

Remus put down his quill and folded his hands on the table in front of him. Keeping his gaze locked on his fingers, he asked, “Did James tell you?”

“Oh no, no,” Lily said hurriedly. “I don’t think he’d do that to you.”

Remus relaxed visibly. “No,” he agreed, “you’re right. He wouldn’t.”

“I just kind of figured it out on my own,” Lily admitted. “Actually, I can’t believe it took me this long.”

Remus actually cracked a smile. “We should’ve known you’d figure it out eventually. Well
you don’t seem too
disgusted.”

Lily looked at him, surprised. “Of course not!” she said. “I know you. And I am Muggle-born, remember. I think it helps; I don’t have all the same prejudices. Anyway, it explains a lot.”

“Like the monthly disappearances?” Remus asked, laughing.

“Like that,” Lily said. “And
well, your nickname.”

Remus scowled. “I knew those were going to get us in trouble,” he muttered. “Is that how you knew?”

Lily hesitated. “It was a factor,” she said. “Actually
I saw James’s Patronus the other day, and I know you all call him ‘Prongs’ and I just kind of wondered if it went deeper than that, you know. I’m still not really sure about what this means for the other three, but you were easy, actually, since I sort of doubted that your Patronus was an actual moon. I just checked the lunar chart to see when exactly you were disappearing, and then
well, actually, Severus used to have this theory
”

Remus held up a hand to stop her. “Snape knows,” he said heavily. “He saw me transform last year.”

Lily gaped at him, speechless.

“I think you weren’t friends with him anymore at that point,” Remus said softly. “And Dumbledore forbid him to tell anyone. Although I think he did almost tell you this past winter, in front of the Shrieking Shack.”

“When James jinxed him,” Lily said softly. “Oh, Remus, is that why? Not out of spite, but to protect you?”

Remus nodded sadly, and Lily shook her head. “I didn’t speak to him for weeks after that,” she said, guilt flaring in her chest.

“He couldn’t tell you,” Remus said. “Not without giving away my secret, anyway. I don’t know if that
changes the way you feel about him, but
”

Lily laughed bitterly. “Oh, the way I feel about him has changed about a hundred times this year,” she said, and bit her lip, looking at him pleadingly. “I can’t even really think about that now, not with exams coming up. Look, can we just
study for Transfiguration?”

Remus’s smile, when it came, was a little too understanding for her liking. “Oh, I think we can manage that,” he said, opening his book.

“Lily! Remus!”

They both looked up, startled, to see Marlene Mckinnon detach herself from the group of seventh-years and walk towards them. She looked bleary and exhausted, but her eyes sparkled. When she reached them, she threw her arms around both of them. Lily and Remus looked at each other, entertained.

“I’m going to miss you both so much!” Marlene wailed. “I can’t believe these are my last two weeks at Hogwarts!”

Lily patted her on the back, trying not to laugh. “You should probably get some sleep,” she advised.

Marlene waved a hand at her. “There’ll be time for that,” she said. “Anyway, what I really wanted to tell you was that I talked to Dumbledore yesterday. And I know he’s been hinting at this kind of thing all year, but he actually confirmed that there is a resistance group against You-Know-Who, and that there’s a place in it for me and a few others when we graduate. And he said that there is for all of you, too, next year, if you’re still interested. He couldn’t tell me any real details yet, so all I know is that it’s called the Order of the Phoenix.”

“The Order of the Phoenix,” Remus repeated quietly, a faraway look in his eyes.

Marlene nodded, and squeezed Lily’s shoulder. “Have a wonderful seventh year,” she told them both, her eyes tearing slightly. “I’ll see you soon.”

“You will,” Lily assured her as she walked away, and then Lily and Remus were left regarding each other excitedly.

“Can you imagine?” he said quietly, looking as though he hardly could. “Doing something that matters
”

“I know,” Lily said, her heart racing. “Although we probably have to pass Transfiguration first.”

“Oh yeah,” said Remus, looking back at his book. “Well. Let’s do that then.”

“Sold,” Lily laughed, opening her own.

---

The first week of exams passed without incident. James had spent more time studying for these exams then he had for the previous five years combined, which Sirius scoffed at and Remus approved. James didn’t tell either of them—although he rather thought they guessed—that it was an effort to distract himself from the sudden coolness with which Lily was treating him.

It wasn’t working.

It didn’t help that Peter wasn’t himself either; he was still quiet and surly and avoiding James, and James couldn’t believe that it was still guilt. But the few times he had tried to talk to him, Peter had been evasive and polite, and James decided that he just had to let his friend’s mood run its course.

James woke early on Sunday and lay staring at the ceiling for awhile, simultaneously savoring the fact that there were no exams for at least twenty-four hours and dreading the fact that he would spend most of the day studying for Potions, the only one he was really worried about.

Jinx, who slept on his pillow, saw that he was awake and stood up. The tiny cat butted her head against his cheek and he picked her up, setting her on his chest. She sat there, purring for a few moments, and then leapt from his bed to Sirius’s. For some reason, she loved Sirius and hated Peter, a preference that both James and Sirius thought was oddly backwards. “Doesn’t she know I’m a dog?” Sirius groused on a regular basis. “Shouldn’t she be chasing after the rat?”

Now, Jinx pounced on Sirius’s hands. Groaning, he tried to bury himself under his covers, but she stood by his head, meowing plaintively, until he gave in and petted her. Jinx gazed up at him adoringly, while James looked on, chuckling.

Sirius glared at him. “I hate you,” he said.

James stuck out his tongue. “No you don’t,” he said.

“Well, maybe you’re right,” Sirius said, yawning and stretching. He blinked and looked around the room. “Where is everybody?”

For the first time, James noticed that both Remus and Peter’s beds were empty. “Wormtail must’ve taken off early,” he said. “Again.”

“Moony probably fell asleep on a stack of books in the common room again,” Sirius said, giving a long-suffering sigh.

James considered this, and grinned. “Probably,” he said as he slid out of bed and started looking for his socks.

Sirius stared at him for a few moments. “So,” he said finally, “what are you going to do about Potions now that you’re on your own?”

James looked over his shoulder at him. “Thanks, Padfoot,” he said dryly. “Kill my mood why don’t you.”

Sirius shrugged. “I’m just saying,” he said. “Hey—you’re not going to get all wimpy again like the last time she wouldn’t talk to you, are you?”

James scowled at him. “No,” he said sullenly. “I’m angry, actually. I mean, last time I knew why she wasn’t talking to me, even if it was because she thought I did something I didn’t. Plus we weren’t exactly close back then. But it’s different now, we’re different, and I don’t even know what I’m supposed to have done!” He yanked his sock savagely onto his foot.

“Interesting,” Sirius mused. “Well. Are you going to talk to her?”

James sighed heavily. “Eventually,” he said. “I kind of just want to put it on hold till after exams, though. I don’t know that talk will go down.”

“Good plan,” Sirius said, flopping over onto his pillow. “I’m going back to sleep now. Have fun studying for Potions!”

Jinx, who looked delighted to have such close access to Sirius’s face, leapt onto the pillow and curled up next to his head. “Traitor,” James muttered, and dug his notes out from under his bed.

---

Finally.

James set down his quill and looked around. Finally Potions—the last, most dreaded of his exams—was over. No more studying. No more trying to remember names and ingredients and uses. Summer was so close he could practically smell it.

A few seats ahead and to his left, Lily stuck the end of her quill in her mouth and frowned. James watched her, his expression darkening. As though she felt his gaze, she turned slightly, looking back at him. He dropped his eyes as his stomach lurched.

I really don’t want to have this conversation, he thought, but now that exams were over, he was out of excuses. I thought everything was going fine, I thought we were friends
what happened?

At the front of the classroom, Slughorn called time, and summoned their test papers. James leapt to his feet as his classmates began filing out, looking for Lily, but she had already gone, and he was in no hurry to find her.

---

The night before the students were due to go home, Sirius found himself wandering the corridors alone. He did this every year after the end-of-term feast; the castle was more home to him than any other place in the world, and he missed it during the holidays more than he would ever admit. He was trying to decide between going out to the courtyard—there were still a few hours of daylight left—or heading back up to Gryffindor Tower to find his friends, when a small hand closed around his wrist and dragged him into a side hall.

“You really need to learn how to keep your hands to yourself,” he told Mary irritably as she stood there, hands on hips.

“What happened?” she demanded.

Sirius sighed. “What are you talking about?” he asked.

Mary rolled her eyes impatiently. “What do you think I’m talking about, dungbrain?”

Sirius raised his eyebrows. “Dungbrain?”

As usual, she ignored him. “I’m talking about James and Lily! Why aren’t they speaking?”

“I dunno,” Sirius said. “What’s it to you? Worried you aren’t going to win the gamble?”

“Oh, please,” Mary said derisively. “I said they weren’t going to get together until next year. I’m not worried about the bet.”

“Then don’t meddle,” Sirius said. “Seriously. I’m getting kind of tired of you yanking me around to talk about my best friend’s love life. If it’s meant to be, they’ll figure it out. I don’t know, I’m kind of starting to think it’s not. I mean, if all those letters James wrote her didn’t work, I don’t know what will. So if you’ll excuse me, I’m just—what? Why are you looking at me like that?”

Mary was staring at him, her mouth open. For the first time in Sirius’s memory, she was speechless. After a moment, she finally said, “James wrote those letters?”

“Yeah, of course he did,” Sirius frowned. “What, she didn’t know they were from him?”

Mutely, Mary shook her head, but before Sirius could say anything, she bolted from the room.

“Works for me,” Sirius muttered.

---

Mary did not usually run; it made her skin flush which she knew did nothing for her pale complexion. But this, as she saw it, was a matter of life and death, so she forced herself to dash all the way through Gryffindor Tower to her dormitory.

Leda and Amelia were elsewhere, which Mary was grateful for; it left only Lily, kneeling in the middle of the room, neatly stacking her books in her trunk.

“What are you doing?” Mary nearly shrieked, and Lily looked up in surprise.

“I’m
packing?” she said.

“Well I can see that,” Mary said. “But what are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here. You have to go find James.”

“Excuse me?” Lily said, standing up. “No, I don’t.”

Mary looked at her for a moment. “Look, Lily,” she said, “you need to know. All those letters? The ones that you thought Snape wrote? They’re from James.”

For a moment, it seemed as though Lily hadn’t heard her. She was gazing out the window, at the setting sun. But finally she turned back towards the center of the room and said, so softly that Mary had to strain to hear her, “I know.”

“You know?” Mary said, shocked. “Then why haven’t you done anything?”

“Well, I mean, after it wasn’t Severus, there was really only one person it could be,” Lily said. “But James
he wrote those letters before he really knew me. He doesn’t feel that way about me anymore?”

“How do you know?” asked Mary. “And why aren’t you talking to him right now? Lily, please. I don’t understand.”

Lily sat down heavily, her hands fluttering on her thighs. “It’s
oh, I don’t know, it’s hard to explain,” she sighed.

“Try,” Mary said simply.

Lily got to her feet again and started pacing. “It was easy, you know, when I thought they were from Severus,” she said, “because that part of my life was over. Nothing would ever happen between us, especially not after everything that happened. So it was an end to something. But with James, it
he
so much has changed that I just don’t
”

Mary tilted her head to the side, regarding her. “You like him,” she said with finality.

“No. No!” Lily said emphatically, shaking her head. “Of course I don’t, I mean, how could I, he’s James Potter. He’s everything I was against for so long.”

Mary shrugged. “He changed,” she said.

“Or I did,” Lily whispered.

“What’s so wrong with that?” Mary asked, looking at her kindly.

“I don’t know,” Lily said miserably. “I know why I didn’t like him initially, and I know why I do like him now, but I can’t remember when that started to change. What if I really misjudged him, for so long? What does that say about me? And
and what if I do like him, does that make me the kind of person who just
abandons all principles?”

“Okay,” Mary said, going to stand next to her. “Now you’re overthinking.” Lily gave a watery little laugh as Mary continued, “And you’re never going to figure any of this out without talking to him.” She gave her a little nudge towards the door. “So go. Or you’re just going to be thinking about it all holiday, and that won’t be good for anyone.”

Lily smiled at her thankfully. “You’re right,” she said. “I’ll be back.”

“Good luck,” Mary called after her, before flopping onto her own bed.

---

Lily felt as though her pulse was going to burst through her skin, it was beating so hard and so fast. The common room, when she reached it, was fairly full, crowded with people spending their last night before the holidays together.

Her heart leapt when she saw Remus and Peter at one table, but plummeted just as quickly when she saw that James wasn’t with them. She approached them, arriving just as Sirius swung himself into a chair next to Remus. All three of them looked up at her expectantly, and she blinked at them awkwardly.

Sirius rolled his eyes, but grinned at her. “This feels familiar,” he said laughingly.

She winced and opened her mouth to ask where James was, but Sirius beat her to the punch.

“He’s out there,” he said, gesturing to the grounds. “Again.”

“Thank you,” she told him, meaning it, and departed.

Once she was outside, it took her awhile to find him. For the past two weeks, students had been spending almost all of their time outside, but tonight, the last night before the end of term, almost everyone was inside, packing.

A flicker of movement caught her eye, and she turned to see James, standing at the edge of the lake, near the same tree that he had found her crying under, so many months ago. He was skipping stones in the still water, and she watched him for a moment before steeling herself and approaching.

She was a few feet away when he realized, and turned to face her. He went suddenly still, and she felt the tension crackle like sparks between them.

“So,” he said scathingly as she stopped in front of him, “she appears.”

Lily took a deep breath. “Look,” she said. “I know I haven’t really been behaving
rationally in the past few days, and I know I haven’t really given you an explanation, and you have every right to be mad at me—”

“You’re damn right I do,” James said, turning away and flinging another rock into the water.

She hadn’t been expecting him to be quite this angry, and despite herself, her temper flared. “You could at least hear me out,” she said hotly.

He laughed mirthlessly. “Why?” he asked. “So you could tell me that you realized you made a mistake, that we can’t be friends? Are you even going to tell me what I did this time?”

“You didn’t do anything,” she said, frustrated now. “You didn’t, it’s not you, it’s
I’ve just been
”

“You can’t do that, Lily,” he said, and he was shouting now. He turned to face her, hazel eyes stormy. “You can’t just drop people without an explanation, you can’t just play with what they’re feeling!”

“And what are you feeling?” she challenged him, and for a moment, she couldn’t believed she’d said it. There was a very pregnant pause. Then, unable to take it anymore, she burst out, “I know those letters are from you.”

James scoffed. “Figured it out, have you? It doesn’t matter, Evans. Those were a long time ago.”

She’d known that, but still, for a moment, she felt like crying. Holding it in, she said with as much scorn as she could muster, “Yeah, they were. And it doesn’t really matter. I mean, I thought that they were from Severus at first, so—”

“You thought they were from Snivellus?” James exploded, and she took a step backwards, shocked by the force of his anger. “That’s why you were crying out here, wasn’t it? You found out they weren’t from him? Well, sorry to disappoint, Evans, I didn’t mean to be your second choice.”

“You’re an idiot!” Lily yelled, and his eyebrows rose. “There’s nothing, nothing, between me and Severus. There never was. And the reason I was so scared to tell you that I knew those letters were from you was because I thought that, maybe, there could be something
between us.” James inhaled sharply, and she looked away. “But apparently,” she said, her voice quieter now, “I was wrong. You’ve made that perfectly clear lately. So excuse me, but I’ll be going now.”

She brushed past him, ready to run back to the castle, but he reached out and grabbed her wrist.

“You don’t get to be the one to walk away this time,” he said fiercely.

“Let go of me,” Lily said, pulling slightly, but she felt his fingers tighten, her pulse thrumming against his hand.

“No,” James said softly, and she looked up, their eyes locking for the first time in weeks. Something unreadable flickered in his gaze. “No,” he said again, as though deciding something, and then before she could say anything, before she could even think, he dragged her roughly forward and his mouth came down over hers.
Wide Awake, It's Morning by Willow Rosenberg
Author's Notes:
Well, this is it. The last chapter. Thank you so much to everyone who's been reading, really. I hope you like it.

I'm actually kind of sad about finishing. But I'm definitely not done with this story--I'm planning out a sequel now, and there may end up being two, so that should start going up pretty soon! Again, thank you so much guys. Read! Review! Enjoy!

----------------------------

Lily broke away from him with a small gasp, her hand going softly to her face. For a moment they just looked at each other—she searchingly, he calmly, all his anger dissolving. She half shook her head and opened her mouth, but no words came. Finally, after what seemed like days, James stepped forward, so close that they were almost touching, and broke the silence for her.

“You do realize,” he said conversationally, “that I’ve had something of a crush on you for about the past three years. But I’ve been in love with you for the last few months, and if I didn’t act like it, it’s because you didn’t always seem too receptive, and I didn’t want to risk anything. What I’m saying, Lily, is that I’m not sorry. And when you’ve figured it out, I’ll be here.”

He backed up, starting, slowly, to walk up to the castle. And Lily who knew, logically, that she’d figured nothing out, that rationally the best thing to do was let him disappear, let them both have a summer apart to think, also knew that if he took one more step away, she wouldn’t be able to bear it.

“Wait,” she called, finding her voice.

James turned towards her, silhouetted by the gloriously dying light of the sun setting into the lake, and in three strides she had reached him, slid one hand around the back of his neck, and—she would never be sure, later, which one of them was more surprised in that moment—stretched onto her toes to kiss him back.

Lily had been kissed before, but never like this, never like it meant something. It had always been out of curiosity or boredom, or occasionally because Mary dared her, and she’d spent the whole time waiting for it to be over, thinking about classes or dinner or how she was going to relate this story to her friends. This time, though, she wasn’t thinking anything at all.

Somehow, they had ended up under the tree again, her back against the wide, cool trunk. James leaned into her, and no boy before him had ever made her want to press herself forward, to hold on like she was doing now. His hand skimmed along her side and she tangled her fingers in his hair—that perpetually messy hair—so she could pull him closer. He seemed only too happy to oblige.

---

In the Gryffindor common room, Sirius drummed his fingers worriedly on the table. “This chat is taking a lot longer than I thought it would,” he said.

Across from him, Remus slumped forward, resting his chin in his hands. “Maybe they killed each other,” he suggested dolefully. Sirius considered this.

Farther down the table, Peter snored loudly.

---

In the end, they lay shoulder-to-shoulder under the tree as night came on, her leg thrown over his, their fingers brushing, neither one of them wanting to go back to the castle. It was amazing, James thought, being here with her like this, the almost-summer night warm around them. It was the kind of thing he’d thought about for so long—too long, almost, as though the real thing would never be able to measure up. But it had, somehow
somehow lying with her on the grass after midnight on the last day before the holidays, flushed and giggling like children and pointing out shooting stars was enough, was better than anything he could have imagined.

With that in mind, he rolled onto his side, propping himself up on his elbow so he could peer down at her. “So,” he said cautiously, “what does all this mean? You know—”

“For us?” Lily finished for him. She closed her eyes for a long moment before saying, “I don’t know. Can we
can we wait to figure that out until next year? I mean, there’s a whole summer to get through, and honestly, I feel like I barely have my head on straight right now.”

Grinning wryly, James settled back down beside her. “I know what you mean,” he said. “And I can wait. But I’m not too worried, really, you’re already finishing my sentences.”

She groaned and elbowed him in the side. He pretended it hurt.

“Oh, look, there’s one,” Lily said suddenly, pointing into the sky, and James looked, watching the falling star as it shot past the half-moon.

“Nice moon,” he murmured, almost deliriously.

Lily turned her head to look at him. “I was telling Remus the other day,” she said slowly, “lucky it wasn’t a full moon for exams.”

“Well, yeah, for him it definitely is,” James said lazily. “Although I always love them, it’s nice to—”

Realizing what he was saying, he cut himself off and sat bolt upright. “You know?” he asked incredulously.

Lily smiled guiltily. “I figured it out awhile ago,” she admitted. “The werewolf thing, anyway. You other three were a little trickier. I’m actually still not sure I’m right.”

James gaped at her for a moment. “Well,” he finally stuttered, “what’s your theory?”

“Oh, I don’t really have one right now,” Lily said, flapping a hand at him. “I mean, honestly, unless the three of you are unregistered Animagi or something
”

She trailed off at the look on his face. “You are?” she squealed delightedly, dissolving into laughter as he nodded tightly.

“Why is that so funny?” he asked her a little snippily, but an amused grin still spread across his face as he watch her roll around in the grass.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Lily said, regaining control of herself. “It’s just so far-fetched. That, and now I can’t stop picturing you with antlers.”

“You know I’m a stag, too?” James thundered.

“Well,” Lily said apologetically, “I did see your Patronus. And the whole ‘Prongs’ thing.”

James looked at her huffily. “Do you know about the Whomping Willow?” he finally asked.

Lily shook her head, and James looked triumphant. “Ha,” he said, leaning back against the tree trunk.

She looked at him for a long moment before finally asking, “Aren’t you going to tell me?”

“No way!” James said. “A man’s got to have some secrets!”

Lily rolled her eyes. “Whatever,” she goaded. “I’ll just ask Sirius next time I see him. Hey, what does he turn into anyway?”

“You haven’t figured that out yet?” James asked.

“I have a pretty good idea,” Lily said, “but I’ll let you tell me.”

“Thanks,” James said dryly. “He’s a dog. Peter’s a rat.”

“I wasn’t sure about Peter!” Lily said. “But I did see Sirius’s Patronus, which helped.”

“Hey!” James said, remembering something suddenly. “We never did see your Patronus.”

“A girl’s got to have some secrets,” she teased him, and then squeaked as he poked her.

She poked him back, and they tussled in the grass for a moment before James finally said, “So what secrets do you have?”

Lily pretended to be shocked. “Not telling!” she said, and then paused. “Although,” she said, “in the interest of full disclosure, I should probably tell you that it was me who was pranking you at the beginning of the year.”

James choked. “That was you?” he nearly screeched.

Lily eyed him. “Well, yeah,” she said. “I was kind of
angry
about everything that happened last year. I thought it would be pretty good payback.”

James looked stunned. “So the winking thing?” he asked finally. “That was you?”

Lily grinned. “Oh, my favorite was the love potion,” she said wickedly, and James groaned. “Are you mad?” she asked him after a moment.”

He shook his head. “Mostly impressed,” he said. “Although that love potion thing kind of backfired on you a little, didn’t it? Forcing you to hang around with me and all.”

She scowled at him. “Only a little,” she said, and he winked.

“Hey,” he said, sitting forward again, “what do you say we go find that broom cupboard again and—”

He stopped as she hit him in the stomach. “I’m only joking!” he wheezed, laughing. “Kind of. Wow. I still can’t believe that was you. It explained why you were so good at it later on, though.”

Lily blinked up at him innocently. “I’m a natural,” she said.

“I guess so,” he replied, still looking at her, almost awe-struck. “But don’t think you’re getting off the hook that easily.”

“What hook?” she asked indignantly.

“I’m starting to believe you can’t actually make a Patronus,” James told her.

Lily groaned. “Oh, not that again,” she said. “I can make a perfectly good Patronus! It’s a fox.”

“Prove it,” James challenged.

“No! I don’t see why this is a big deal to you.”

“I’m highly competitive.”

“I see that.”

“I’m waiting.”

She glared at him. “Fine,” she said eventually, “if it’ll make you shut up about it.”

He bumped her with her shoulder, and she tried to keep a serious face, but she couldn’t.
Raising her wand, she looked directly at James and cried, “Expecto Patronum!”

As something silver burst from her wandtip, she raised an eyebrow at him, satisfied. “So there,” she said.

But James was laughing. “Evans,” he said, looking amused, “that’s not a fox.”

“What?” Lily said, confused. “Don’t be ridiculous of course it
it is
” She trailed off as she turned towards her Patronus, and her mouth agape.

She scrambled to her feet in complete shock. “That’s a doe,” she said. “That’s not my
I don’t understand.”

“She’s pretty,” James said pleasantly from the ground. “Actually, she reminds me of something
oh, yeah
Expecto Patronum!”

As his stag cantered forward to join the doe, Lily sat down again with a thump. Morning was approaching—the sky had lightened slightly, and a thin curtain of fog was rising. The two ghostly deer regarded each other for a long moment.

Lily let out a long breath. “This is really weird,” she said, stunned.

James just shrugged. “Nah,” he said. “I know what it means.”

Lily looked over her should at him in surprise. “You do?”

“Yeah,” he said, folding his arms up behind his head and looking pleased with himself. “You love me.”

He was delighted when she blushed scarlet. “I do not!” she said furiously.

James said nothing, just looked pointedly at the Patronuses, who blinked back at him for an instant before touching noses, disappearing, as they did so, into the early morning mist.

“So?” Lily challenged.

He shook his head, grinning. “Okay, okay,” he amended. “Maybe it just means you will.”

“Don’t get cocky on me now,” she scoffed.

He held up a finger. “Not cocky,” he said, leaning forward suddenly to brush a quick kiss across her cheekbone. “Confident.”

She shoved him away but she was laughing again. “Next year,” she told him. “Next year, we’ll see.”

“I’ll hold you to that,” he said and leaned forward again, this time bringing his mouth flush against hers. And this time, too, she let him.

---

They slipped back into their dormitories as the sun rose (“I think I forgot to pack,” James whispered as they snuck through the common room) pausing at the stairs for one last look.

“I can’t believe the next time we’ll see it, we’ll be in our last year,” Lily said with a sigh.

“Weird, isn’t it?” James agreed. “Well
good night. Good morning?”

She smiled softly. “See you in a few hours.”

He nodded, then paused. “Hey, Lily?”

“Yeah?”

James bit his lip, and then asked, “Are you going to tell anyone? About what happened?”

“No,” she said, “I don’t think so. Not yet, anyway. Not until summer’s over. For one, having other people involved would just make things even more confusing. But also
I kind of like that it’s just us.”

“Yeah,” James said quietly. “Me, too.” He stepped forward, looped an arm around her waist, and pressed his lips to her forehead. “Our secret,” he said as she leaned into him. “For now.”

---

Lily felt as if she had barely closed her eyes when Mary started shaking her awake.

“Come on, Lily, I already let you sleep through breakfast, but if you don’t get up now, you’re going to end up missing the train. And where on earth were you last night, I thought you died or something.”

Last night. The memories came flooding back, and Lily was unable to stop herself from beaming at Mary, who was standing by her bed, looking down at her severely. Lily leapt to her feet and flung her arms around her friend.

“Somebody’s in a good mood,” Mary muttered. “So are you going to tell me what happened or what?”

“Oh, nothing really,” Lily said, grinning ear-to-ear. “We talked.” Among other things. “It just seems like it’s going to be a beautiful day, that’s all.”

“Whatever,” Mary yawned. “Let’s go.”

---

When James woke, it took him a minute to realize that he wasn’t alone. Sirius was sprawled next to him, Remus had flung himself across James’s legs, and Peter was curled up at the foot of the bed. Jinx, looking delighted at this arrangement, had wedged herself between James and Sirius and was purring ferociously.

James was pretty sure that they had all been in their own beds when he had snuck in early that morning. Utterly bewildered, he reached for Sirius’s wrist, turning it so he could see his watch. Sirius twitched and blinked up at him.

“Hey,” Sirius said. “You’re alive. Moony, wake up!”

“I’m not sleeping,” Remus said, his voice muffled. There was a yelp, presumably from Peter. “Wormtail was, though.”

“Hi,” James said. “Why are you all in my bed?”

Sirius yawned, accidentally hitting James in the face as he stretched. “So you couldn’t sneak off again without us,” he said. “You are in lots of trouble, young man. Staying out all night, tsk!”

“I came back!” James protested.

“Eventually,” Remus said, rolling his eyes. “We couldn’t even wake you up for breakfast. Although,” he grinned slyly, “we did notice that Lily wasn’t there, either.”

“Well, we were working out our issues,” James said vaguely.

The other three blinked at him expectantly.

“What?” James laughed. “That’s all. Nothing interesting. Oh, she does know that you’re a werewolf. And about the whole Animagus thing.”

“Yeah, I know,” Remus said, as Sirius and Peter both exclaimed.

Recovering himself, Sirius said, “You’d better finish packing, Prongs. The train leaves soon.”

James swore loudly and swung himself out of bed.

---

They made it just in time. Nearly all the compartments were full. Sirius and Remus moved through, looking for a place to sit, while Peter followed slowly, James bringing up the rear.

Peter looked as glum as ever as he shuffled down the aisle; even James, in his post-Lily haze, could see that. Half a car ahead of them, Sirius called, “Oi! I found one!” He and Remus slipped inside, but just before Peter reached the door, James grabbed him by the elbow.

“What’s up?” Peter asked, startled.

“Look, Wormtail,” James said, concerned. “I know you keep saying everything’s all right, but I can tell it isn’t. Things haven’t been right with us since the whole dueling-club fiasco, and I can’t help but think that I did something.”

To his surprise, Peter smiled. “Oh, stop worrying, Prongs,” he said. “It’s okay. I’m just sad to be going home right now, that’s all.”

“Are you sure?” James said uncertainly, and Peter nodded.

“Really,” he said earnestly. “Everything’s just fine.”

---

“Ladies!”

Mary and Lily looked up, surprised, as Sirius burst through the door of their compartment. “We’re joining you,” Sirius continued unnecessarily. “There is absolutely nowhere else to go.”

“What, we’re your last resort?” Mary said indignantly.

Lily, for her part, tried not to look too eager as she asked, “We?”

Before he could respond though, Remus pushed past him, followed a few moments later by Peter, who had on a rather forced smile, and, finally, James.

She caught his eye the second he stepped over the threshold, and a slow, smoldering smile spread across his face. For her part, she was aware that she was grinning like an idiot, but she couldn’t stop herself.

Thankfully, everyone else was too busy laughing at Sirius, who was singing the school song as miserably as he could, to notice their preoccupation. Lily moved down slightly in her seat, making room for James. He took it, sliding in next to her, and as they touched, she felt electrified; she found herself wondering, quite suddenly, why there were no broom closets on trains.

---

Everything wasn’t fine, not really, despite what he had said to James.

Peter leaned back in his seat, looking out the window of the train as the land flashed by. Everyone was talking about exams and the start of their seventh year, but Peter didn’t join in. He was feeling, as he had been feeling for so long now, rather uneasy.

He looked over at his three best friends; Sirius, handsome and cocksure, bigger than life, laughing uproariously at something that had been said. Remus, understated and whip-smart, smiling softly, full of that quiet strength and self-assurance. And James. James who was, once again, running a hand jauntily through his hair as he spoke. James, who Peter hero-worshipped because he had always defended him, always protected him. James who was sure and strong and invincible.

And James who had been in the hospital wing twice this year after near-fatal accidents. James who had been beaten by Severus Snape, thrown like a rag doll to the ground, his blood staining the floor. That moment
Peter closed his eyes, replaying it as he had so many times before—James running to his defense, bringing with him that overwhelming feeling that Peter always got when James entered the scene: that everything was okay now. That he was safe, protected. But then what always came next—Snape flinging out his wand, shouting, James falling to his knees, to his side, finally lying as still as the dead.

Peter had always thought that James was the best, the toughest. He thought that nothing could bring him down, and that as long as he had James on his side, he didn’t have to be afraid of the world. But he knew now, had seen with his own eyes, that James, too, could be defeated. He could break like anyone else.

Peter turned his face towards the window again. For the first time, in the company of all his friends, he didn’t feel safe.

---

They reached the train station quicker than Lily could have imagined. The boys slipped out shortly before arrival to change into their Muggle clothes, giving Mary and Lily the chance to do the same.

Lily gathered her luggage and got off the train slowly, wondering how long it would take her parents to arrive. Petunia, out of spite or jealousy, usually delayed them as long as possible, but for once, Lily hoped they took their time.

Mary, who loved going home, was halfway to the platform before Lily got off the train. She caught up with her, hugged her, waved, and then headed back towards the train to say her other goodbyes.

---

“You know, Prongs,” Sirius was saying philosophically, “I know you said that this year was your year with Lily and everything, and I want you to know that I don’t think any less of you because it didn’t happen. I mean, really. I think you laid down some pretty solid foundation this year, and I really think that, next year, you’ll have a fighting chance. I mean it, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if—oh, speak of the devil, hey Evans.”

“Talking about me?” Lily said, winking cheekily. She had just finished saying goodbye to Remus and Peter.

“Saved the best for last then, eh?” Sirius asked, noticing this.

James looked away, grinning.

“Yeah, yeah,” Lily said, hugging Sirius. He ruffled her hair affectionately, and she slugged him on the shoulder before turning to James.

“Well,” she said formally. “Have a good summer, then.”

He didn’t say anything, just looked at her, his grin widening.

Lily stared back at him for a moment. Then, “Oh, hell,” she said quietly, took one stride forward, grabbed the front of his shirt, and kissed him.

Eventually, they broke apart, Lily rather flushed. James looked down at her. “It’s going to be,” he said huskily, “a long summer.”

“You’ll make it,” she said. “I promise. Bye, Sirius! Be good.”

Sirius, who was staring at them openmouthed, gave a little wave as she walked away. Still speechless, he turned to James.

“I think you’re right, Padfoot,” James said airily. “I think I have a pretty good chance.”

---

The train was all but empty. Only one boy, still in his Hogwarts robes, had yet to leave. He was biding his time, waiting to leave until the last possible minute.

He stood by the window, watching his classmates say goodbye to each other, and he sneered. Severus Snape didn’t have anyone he cared to say goodbye to anymore, not really.

That familiar flash of red hair caught his eye, and he leaned farther forward to watch Lily say goodbye to Sirius Black and James Potter. His sneer deepened into a scowl. Things change, he thought bitterly.

Severus had been on the grounds early that morning, too; he had seen the two of them beneath the tree together. They hadn’t noticed him. Unlike James Potter, he rarely needed a cloak to be invisible to people.

Turning away from the sight, he pulled out his wand—one last bit of magic before his exile into the Muggle world. Closing his eyes tightly, Severus thought back to his earlier days at Hogwarts and whispered, “Expecto Patronum!”

The silver doe that leapt from his wand turned tightly in the small compartment space, looking at him with large eyes. He gazed steadily back at her, then reached out his hand. Just as his fingers were about to brush her nose, she blinked, twisted in midair, and was gone. Sighing, Severus stowed his wand in his pocket, shouldered his pack, and slipped out the compartment door, not looking back.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=82640