Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud
Summary: “Is it true five years have passed since that night? That I have been dead for five years?”


Hermione had known love with Ron. But, now he was married to someone else and Hermione was alone with only her work at the Ministry to keep her busy.

But, when she was asked by Minister Shacklebolt to handle a problem, would Hermione find love with someone from her past?

Sirius Black’s life was cut short when he fell through the Veil in the Department of Mysteries. But, somehow, he inadvertently found a way to come back through the Veil.

When he was told it was five years after he fell, Sirius didn’t believe Kingsley. Sirius found himself being held in a room in the Department of Mysteries. A prisoner again.

When the door opened and a grown-up Hermione walked through it, Sirius was stunned. How could this be the same girl he had known?


This is the story of a lost girl, a man back from the dead, and a love story that will be talked about for years.
Categories: Hermione/Other Character Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 22692 Read: 38494 Published: 05/03/09 Updated: 06/17/12

1. From the Past to the Future by mudbloodproud

2. Explanations by mudbloodproud

3. Memories and An Unexpected Guest by mudbloodproud

4. A New Challenge by mudbloodproud

5. Promised Freedom by mudbloodproud

6. Out of Time and Place by mudbloodproud

7. The Burrow by mudbloodproud

8. Questions without Answers by mudbloodproud

From the Past to the Future by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I would like to thank Rena for all her hard work helping me with this chapter.

Everything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her to be able to play in this world for my own, and hopefully your, amusement.
Hermione walked slowly down the stairs into the kitchen of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. She left the wedding reception early because she just needed time alone. She was happy for Ron and Serena. She really was. Slumping into a chair, she slipped off her shoes. As she sat in the quiet, dark kitchen, she thought back over the past few years.

When the war ended, she and Ron were a couple. They tried to keep their relationship going through the separation of her going back to Hogwarts and his work with the Ministry.

At first they wrote faithfully. Well, at least she did. His letters were sporadic and often rushed. He would tell her of his work with Harry in the Auror department, and then end the letter by saying he loved her.

She spent Christmas break at the Burrow, along with her parents. Ron and Harry were gone most days so the time she actually got to spend with Ron was limited. When Easter break came, it was the same.

By the time she finished her last year of school, Ron had entered a shortened Auror training program. If she wasn’t staying at Grimmauld Place, she would have seen very little of him. They at least had a few hours each evening to spend together, most nights anyway.

It was when she started her training at the Ministry that the problems started. She often didn’t get home until late and was usually gone very early the next morning. It was around this time that a new Auror candidate started her training.

As Hermione and Ron grew apart, Ron and Serena became closer. Within a few months, they were having the ‘maybe we should break-up’ talk. They decided they were better off as friends, and Ron began dating Serena.

Now, it was six months later, and she had just come from their wedding. She was happy for them, really. Suddenly, and without warning, she found herself sobbing. But she was happy for them, really, she was. Perhaps if she said it to herself enough, she could convince herself it was true.

She wanted to just sit there and cry, but she knew Harry and Ginny would be back soon. Ginny spent quite a bit of time here when she was in town and Hermione knew she had made plans to come here tonight after the wedding.

Standing, she rushed up to her room. Closing and locking the door, she fell onto the bed and cried herself to sleep.

***

At the knock on the door of her small office, Hermione groaned. When she took over the position of Assistant to the Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, she never expected to find her predecessor had done very little work. Even after two months in her new position, she was still playing catch-up.

“Come in,” she called.

“Hermione, the Minister is here to see you,” her secretary told her.

“Send him in,” she said. She quickly piled the work she was doing into a neat pile and stood to greet the Minister.

“Hermione,” Kingsley said as he came through the door, “I hope I am not interrupting something too important that you can’t leave it for a while.”

Hermione looked at Kingsley quizzically. She didn’t understand the formal tone of his voice. Before she could ask him about it, he closed the door and chuckled softly at her confused face.

“Sorry, I think that suitably impressed your secretary.” Still chuckling, he sat down in front of her desk.

Hermione was still confused, but she followed his example and sat down.

“Hermione, I have a request to make of you. I know this is not connected with your department, but I couldn’t think of anyone who is more suited to handle this…” He paused briefly as if considering his words. “Well, for lack of a better word, problem.”

“Why not Harry? Why me?” she asked.

“Because the situation I am about to tell you about involves a magical device you have quite a bit of experience with, a time-turner.”

“But, I thought they were all smashed during the battle years ago,” she said.

“They were, or at least we thought they were. I should tell you, it not only involves a time-turner but also the Veil in the Department of Mysteries.” At Hermione’s gasp, he nodded. “Yes, the very same Veil. But, neither the time-turner nor the Veil is the issue."

“We have recovered the time-turner. It is from whom we recovered it that is the issue, as well as how to handle the fallout from this.”

“I hate to say this, but I am completely confused, sir,” Hermione said.

“Let me explain what little we know. Apparently, when the Death Eaters followed Harry into the chamber with the Veil, one of them unknowingly had a time-turner caught on the back of his robes. During the ensuing battle, the time-turner was knocked into the Veil."

“We don’t know why it took so long to be found, but apparently someone found it and last night, used it to escape the Veil. For now, he is confined in a room in the Department of Mysteries.”

“What is it you need me for?” she asked.

“I would like to you go and talk to him. He is confused and though I tried to explain time has passed, he doesn’t believe me. We need to know how this was possible and if it was only because of his manner of death that he was able to come back through the Veil. You know how the time-turner works, but I would like you to try to find out how it worked this time.”

“Sir, who is this man?” she asked cautiously, though she had an idea of whom the Minister was about to say.

“Sirius Black,” he answered after a moment’s hesitation.

Hermione couldn’t speak. Her mind was racing. Sirius was alive? Did Harry know? She had to tell him. Standing, she started to rush past Kingsley. He reached out and grabbed her arm.

“No, Hermione. You can’t go tell Harry. No one must know, at least not yet. We can’t tell anyone until we figure out how this happened. Stop and think about what this would mean to people who lost loved ones in the Final Battle. Everyone would want to throw a time-turner in and hope their loved one could come back. No, we must keep this a secret.”

Hermione turned and walked back behind her desk. Sitting down, she looked at Kingsley. “Harry has to be told. He won’t tell anyone if he is told not to. You know you can trust him,” she said.

“No, and that is final. If you feel you can’t do this without telling Harry, then I will have to find someone else. I am sorry, but I will also have to modify your memory of this conversation,” Kingsley said, his voice firm.

It was this statement, delivered completely matter-of-factly, that made Hermione see she had no choice. “I’ll do it. I will not say anything to Harry...yet. But, know this; I think it is wrong not to tell him.” Hermione stood. “I want to see Sirius. He is probably thinking he is being arrested again for something he didn’t do.”

“Of course, I will take you to him. Remember, he is very confused. To him, it is still five years ago, though he does believe he had a dream about being with James and Lily and Remus in a forest with Harry. I have no idea what he meant by that, but he said it was a very vivid dream. To him, the past five years have all been just a dream.”

“Looks like I have a lot of explaining to do,” she said smiling as she gathered some parchment, ink and a quill. If she was to question him, she wanted to be able to take notes. She threw these items in her briefcase, and at the last moment, slipped in the latest copy of the Quibbler and the Daily Prophet.

They went down the elevator to the corridor containing the door to the Department of Mysteries. Hermione vividly remembered the one and only time she had been through that door. It had ended with Sirius’ death. Now she was going to go in there and see him alive again.

Once they entered the circular room with a dozen doors, Kingsley opened one into a long hallway without hesitation. Walking to the end, he waved his wand at the door, and Hermione heard the click of the lock.

“I’ll leave you to go in and see him by yourself.” He leaned down and told her the charm to unlock the door from the inside. “When you are done, come up to my office. Don’t forget to lock the door behind you when you leave.” At Hermione’s questioning look, he continued, “Sirius isn’t happy with me right now, because I won’t let him go to Harry. It would be better for you to go in alone.” Stepping back, Kingsley nodding at Hermione to enter.

Taking a deep breath, Hermione opened the door and stepped inside. She quickly noted the room looked like it could have been part of any home. There were a couple chairs, a sofa, and a table with two chairs off to one side. There, sitting in what looked like a very comfortable armchair, sat Sirius Black looking exactly as he had when he fell through the Veil.

Closing the door behind her, she said simply, “Hi, Sirius.”

Sirius looked at the woman standing before him, momentarily stunned. He knew it was Hermione but she looked so different. Gone was the awkward teenager and there standing in front of him was a self-assured woman.

“Where is Harry?” he asked worriedly.

Hermione looked at her watch. It was just after noon. “Probably at lunch with Ginny.” Hermione walked slowly over to where Sirius still sat. “Kingsley asked me to come and talk to you about what happened to you and how you got back.”

Sirius stood abruptly. “I don’t know. I don’t know what has happened to me. One minute I was fighting with Bellatrix and the next…” He stopped talking, frustration evident in his voice and jerky movements. “Is it true five years have passed since that night? That I have been dead for five years?”

“Yes. We saw you fall through the Veil. And yes, that was five years ago. I think if you want to hear about those years, you better sit down. It is a long story.”

“But, Harry is really alive? You aren’t just saying that to not upset me?”

Hermione smiled. “Yes, Harry is alive and working here at the Ministry in the Auror department. He and Ginny have been dating for a while now. She has been playing for the Holyhead Harpies for over a year now.”

“What about Ron? Where is he?”

Hermione took a deep breath. “Ron also works in the Auror department. He… he was married two days ago to a young witch who was in training with him.”

Sirius looked at Hermione. “Hermione-”

“It’s okay. We broke up quite a while ago. I’m glad he is happy.” Hermione sat on the couch across from the chair Sirius had been sitting in. He walked over and looked down at her, then sat next to her on the couch.

“Tell me about my godson. Tell me what happened after… after that night.”

Hermione began by telling him how Harry had gone after Bellatrix. How Dumbledore duelled with Voldemort and the then Minister saw with his own eyes Voldemort was alive. She then told him of Dumbledore’s death and how Snape had killed him.

When Sirius started cursing Snape, Hermione put a hand on his arm. She quickly explained Snape was only acting on Dumbledore’s orders. It took some convincing, but Hermione finally managed to calm him a bit, at least enough for him to listen to the story of their search for the Horcruxes.

The story of their search was slow as Sirius kept interrupting to have her clarify something or go back over something. When Hermione told him of Remus’ offer to go with them and the resulting argument with Harry, Sirius smiled.

“Harry was right. I am glad he voiced his opinion. Remus went back to Tonks?” Sirius asked.

“Yes, he did, though it was several months before we knew that.” She took a deep breath and continued her story. When she got to the point in the story of the doe Patronus, Sirius stopped her.

“Wait. The Patronus was a doe? But that was Lily’s Patronus. I’ve never known anyone who had the same one. Whose was it?”

“Yes, it was a doe. But, you will have to wait to find out whose it was.” Hermione smiled shyly at him. At Sirius’ growl, she laughed. “I know, but if I tell you now, it will ruin the rest of the story.” At his reluctant nod, she started her story again.

As she told him about the scene at Malfoy Manor, she could see him getting angry. She once again laid a hand on his arm. “Calm down, everything worked out in the end.” As she felt the tension from him lighten a tiny bit, she went on.

He burst out laughing at their escape from Gringotts on the dragon. It was at this point the door opened and Kingsley Shacklebolt stuck his head through the opening.

“Hermione, can I speak with you for a moment?” he asked.

Smiling apologetically at Sirius, Hermione stood and went over to the door.

“I was just wondering how it is going? Have you found anything useful out?” he inquired.

“I’m not even through catching him up on the past five years. I am not even as far as the Final Battle, yet. I think I am going to be here for a while. Could you do me a favour?” she asked.

“Of course, anything.”

“This probably is going to take all night. If I write a quick note to Harry telling him I won’t be home tonight, can you send it to his office for me?”

“Certainly. I will also send down some food for you both. I am sure you are getting hungry by now.”

Hermione hadn’t even thought about food. She glanced down at her watch and realized it was almost five in the afternoon. She hurried back to her forgotten briefcase and pulled a piece of parchment, the bottle of ink and her quill out. She went over to the table and quickly wrote a note to Harry. Turning she went back to the door and gave it to Kingsley.

At his distressed look, she said, “I didn’t tell him anything, except I was working on an important project and wouldn’t be home tonight. I didn’t even tell him I would be here at the Ministry in case he decided to go looking for me.”

Kingsley nodded his approval. “I will have food and drinks sent down to you. I will come down in the morning to check on you.” He turned and rushed off.

Closing the door, she turned and told Sirius that dinner was on its way. She walked back to the table and picked up her ink and quill and placed them back into her briefcase. She knew she wouldn’t need them before tomorrow.

As she turned to walk back to the couch, she heard a faint noise behind her. Looking back, she saw the table, which had been empty, now had not only food and drinks on it, but plates and utensils as well.

“I guess dinner is served,” she said, laughter in her voice.

“I guess so,” Sirius replied. He walked over to the table and surveyed the offerings. “I know I shouldn’t be picky, but he could have at least sent a bottle of Firewhisky down, too.” He picked up a plate and held it out to Hermione.

They ate in silence for several minutes before Sirius spoke. “So, what department do you work for?”

“The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures,” she said.

Sirius smiled. “Still trying to set House-elves free?”

Hermione bristled at his tone. “There is more to my job than just House-elves, but, yes, I am working to better their situation in life.”

“Even Kreacher?”

“Kreacher is not the same as he was before. He has changed. He fought in the Final Battle, rallying the other House-elves into battle.” Hermione took a deep breath. “You will have to see the change for yourself to believe it.”

“I’m sorry, Hermione, but I can’t believe he has changed that much.”

Hermione smiled. “You will see,” she said confidently.

They finished their dinner without further discussion. When they were done, they went back over to the couch and sat down side-by-side again.

“So, what happened after you escaped on the dragon?”

Hermione took her time. This was going to be the hardest part of her story. She didn’t know how much Sirius remembered from his time behind the Veil, but she was about to tell him about the death of Remus, Tonks and Fred as well as all the others.

When she got to Harry getting Snape’s memories, Sirus interrupted her.

“He gave him his memories? All of them?” Sirius sounded worried and upset.

“Not every memory of his life, but enough of them for Harry to understand finally.”

“What did he let him see?” Sirius still sounded worried.

Hermione looked at him. She had a feeling it was the one memory Harry had told them about that had happened after the Marauders had taken their O.W.L.s that had Sirius upset. Should she be the one to tell him or should she let Harry do that? Deciding she couldn’t fully tell the story without telling him the memories, she began to tell him what Harry had seen.

Sirius sat in stunned silence until the point that revealed it had been Snape who had sent the doe Patronus.

“What!” he shouted, jumping to his feet. “It was his? He had the same Patronus as Lily?”

“Sirius, calm down. If you will just let me finish. It will all make sense. Sit back down, please?” she requested.

She watched as he struggled to regain some control over his anger. Finally, he sat back down and said, “I’m sorry. But, knowing all this… Knowing he started Voldemort’s hunt for James and Lily, knowing he loved her and still caused her death…” He shook himself and fell silent.

“I know you may find this hard to believe, but after watching these memories, Harry understood and has forgiven him. Harry even petitioned the Governors, successfully I might add, to have his portrait hang in the Headmaster’s office at Hogwarts.” Seeing his look of disbelief, Hermione quickly finished telling Sirius about what Harry saw in the Pensive.

“So, you see, Snape was loyal to Dumbledore. He was working with him to bring down Voldemort,” Hermione said.

“What happened then?” Sirius asked.

As Hermione told him of Harry’s walk to the forest, Sirius stopped her.

“That really happened? It wasn’t a dream?” Sirius looked confused.

“No, you weren’t dreaming, Sirius. You were in the afterlife with James and Lily for all this time,” Hermione said gently.

Hermione quickly finished telling Sirius the rest of the story. When she told him of Molly’s outburst as she approached Bellatrix, Sirius laughed.

“I knew Molly had a temper, but even I am impressed.”

As her story of the Final Battle ended, Hermione stood and walked over to the table. Sometime during their conversation, the table had been cleared of the leftover food and dirty plates. Sitting in the centre was a bottle of amber coloured liquid. Smiling, she poured Sirius half a glass of the Firewhisky. For herself, she poured only a little bit in a glass.

Walking over to him, she handed him the glass as she sat back down. Raising her glass in a toast, she said, “To lost friends.”

Sirius tapped his glass on hers before taking a large mouthful of the drink. Sighing, he sat back on the couch.

“So, tell me about what happened after it was over,” he said.

Hermione leaned back as he had done, and over the next few hours, filled Sirius in on what had happened to all of them for the past few years.
Explanations by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I would like to thank Rena and Alyssa (harry4lif) for making sure this is ready for you to read.

I don't own anything you recognise. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to be able to play in her world.
Sirius looked down at Hermione. She had dozed off while telling him about Ginny’s last Quidditch match. Her head had fallen onto his shoulder as her body relaxed in sleep. He could feel sleep overcoming him so he shifted slightly to draw Hermione closer to him as he turned his body slightly and slid down somewhat to a half reclining position. He closed his eyes and let sleep overtake him. As he was falling asleep, he couldn’t help but let his mind wander to the woman in his arms.

***

Hermione came slowly awake. She was nestled between what felt like the back of a couch and a very warm body. A body whose arms were wrapped securely around her. Sighing, she snuggled deeper into the arms and tried to go back to sleep.

Suddenly, the reality of yesterday crashed into her mind and her eyes flew open. She found herself staring into the clear grey eyes of Sirius Black.

“I never would have guessed you like to snuggle,” Sirius said teasingly.

Hermione tried unsuccessfully to sit up, her eyes wide in horror. She couldn’t believe she had… they had… Pushing at Sirius’ chest, she said, “Please let me up.”

Smiling, Sirius carefully slid himself into a sitting position and stood. Looking down at the red-faced Hermione, he said, “Hermione, I was only teasing you.”

“I know, I am sorry. It’s just…” She didn’t get to finish her sentence because at that moment the door opened and Kingsley Shacklebolt walked in.

“Good morning, Sirius, Hermione,” he said. “Breakfast will be here shortly. I just came down to get a few things straightened out with you.”

Hermione glanced at Sirius who stood still and watchful. She looked back at the Minister. “What things?” she asked.

“Hermione, I would imagine you would like to go and change. I am sure you are also wondering about the work piled on your desk. First, let me tell you I have had you temporarily transferred to my department. Your work is being handled by another assistant. I thought this was the easiest solution to explain your absence from the Ministry.

“If someone asks about you, I will simply say you are on assignment for me.” He paused and waited to hear objections from Hermione. When she didn’t say anything, he continued, “I also have given thought to how difficult it would be for you to stay here in this room twenty-four hours a day. So, I have decided to confide in one other person.

“This person won’t be able to be here all the time, but he will be able to come in and stay here a few hours a day. He cannot leave his job. So the hours he is available with vary and be limited. But, I think this is the perfect solution for now.”

Looking directly at Sirius, he addressed him, “I hope in a few days time to be able to allow you to return to Grimmauld Place. Though this will only be done on the condition you have no contact with anyone other than those I specify. We cannot allow very many people to know you are alive until we decide how this situation is going to be handled.”

“Minister, who is this man and what have you told him?” Hermione questioned.

“I have told him next to nothing of the situation. I believe it is better for you to explain it to him. I asked him if he would do me a personal favour and relieve one of my agents daily for a few hours so she can attend to personal matters. As for whom it is-” He turned and walked to the door, pulling it open, he said to the unseen man, “Please come in.”

As Hermione and Sirius watched, Harry Potter walked through the door.

“Hermione? What…” Harry’s voice broke off as he spotted his godfather standing next to Hermione. “Sirius?”

As Sirius stepped forward, Harry rushed to him and was enveloped in a hug. Hermione’s eyes filled with tears. She didn’t even attempt to stop them from sliding down her face.

Smiling, Kingsley beckoned Hermione to his side. Quietly he said, “What have you found out?”

“I’m sorry, sir, we haven’t had a chance to discuss how he came back. I plan on going over all of that today. I had to cover five years of the life he missed.”

Patting her on the shoulder, Kingsley said, “I understand. But the sooner we solve this mystery, the sooner we can move to the next step. I am sure Sirius does not appreciate being kept here. And now that Harry is involved, Harry will insist on his being allowed to go to Grimmauld Place.”

“I will talk to Harry. I cannot guarantee I can get him to agree to more than a day or two of leaving Sirius here, but I will try to make him understand.”

“I know you will do your best. Feel free to leave and go home for a few hours. I am giving Harry the day off to spend here. I would like you to come to my office tonight and update me on what you find out today.”

“Of course. Thank you for bringing Harry here. I think this will help us to discover the truth. I was worried Sirius would be stubborn insisting on seeing Harry before he would answer questions. Now, he has no reason not to tell me what happened.”

“I’ll leave you to explain it to Harry. I am sure he has many questions of his own.” With this, Kingsley turned and left the room.

Sirius watched as Hermione talked quietly with Kingsley, no doubt he was the topic of conversation. As he felt Harry loosening his grip on him, he pulled back and looked down at his godson.

He was taken back by the look that crossed Harry’s face as he stepped back. “Harry, what is it?” he asked.

Harry looked at Hermione as she approached. “Did you check? Did you make sure?”

At Hermione’s gasp and small shake of her head, Harry swore, “Hermione, you of all people should know better, why-’

“Harry, it’s been three years, I didn’t think… I should have…”

Harry turned to Sirius, “How did you escape from Hogwarts?”

Sirius was confused, what were they talking about? “From Hogwarts?”

“My third year, how did you escape?”

“On Buckbeak,” Sirius replied.

“What are the four Animagus forms of the Marauders?”

Sirius realized what Harry was doing. He needed to make sure he was real. Smiling, he answered, “A dog, stag, rat, and that’s all. Remus had no Animagus form, he is…” He glanced at Hermione before continuing, “…was a werewolf.”

“What did my mum call Remus’ affliction?”

His furry little problem,” Sirius said, eyes twinkling.

“What name did you give your Animagus form?”

“Harry!” Hermione interrupted him. “I think that is enough. Besides, I am sure Kingsley made sure before he ever told me Sirius was here.”

“It is okay, Hermione. Snuffles,” Sirius answered Harry’s last question.

“Hermione, you were here with him since yesterday? You never left him alone, not even for a minute?” Harry turned to her.

“Yes, Harry. If he was under the influence of Polyjuice Potion, it would have worn off by now.” Hermione answered as she walked over to stand next to Sirius.

“You have to understand,” Harry said to Sirius. “I had to make sure.”

Sirius glanced down at Hermione, then back at Harry. “I do understand. Ask whatever you feel you need to ask to reassure yourself.”

Harry walked over and dropped into the chair. He dropped his head into his hands. Sirius crossed to the sofa and sat across from him, he patted the spot next to him as he looked at Hermione.

Shrugging her shoulders, Hermione joined Sirius on the sofa. “Harry, are you okay?” she asked.

Harry looked up at her and Sirius. Suddenly a huge smile crossed his face. “Yeah, I’m great. But, I still don’t understand how? And I don’t understand why MY department wasn’t notified immediately.”

“Harry, I’m sure Kingsley…Wait, did you just say your department?” Hermione asked.

“Yes, my department. The Auror Department. Kingsley asked me yesterday if I would take over running the department.” Harry smiled. “I was planning on telling you last night, but you didn’t come home.”

At Hermione’s blush, Sirius chuckled. “She was here, with me…” He let the sentence dangle for a few seconds before he went on. “She was catching me up on the past five years.”

“Okay,” said Harry, sounding suspicious. “So, how did this happen anyway?”

At Sirius’ nod, Hermione said, “I can tell you what Kingsley figured out. As for the rest…”

“As for the rest, I will tell you what I can,” Sirius said.

Hermione relayed to Harry everything Kingsley had told her. “So, Kingsley thinks it was because Sirius was alive when he fell through the Veil that he was able to come back.” Hermione finished.

“But if it worked for him…” Harry let the sentence trail off.

“Harry,” Hermione began, but Sirus reached over and placed his hand on her arm, shaking his head.

“Harry, I think Kingsley was right. Let me tell you what I remember,” Sirius said. “It’s all kinda fuzzy, like a dream that just won’t come into focus. I remember I was walking with your dad and mum when I stepped on something. When I bent down, I saw the Time-turner though I wasn’t quite sure what it was.

“Your mum, of course, knew exactly what it was. But even she was at a loss as to explain why it was there. She also said that it probably wouldn’t work… where we were. Your dad and I wanted to try it anyway. So, I slipped the chain over the three of us and I spun the little hourglass.

“Next thing I knew, I was laying flat on my back in front of the Veil, with Kingsley standing over me, wand pointed down at me. How he knew I was there, I don’t know.” Looking again at Hermione, he said, “Yes, Hermione, Kingsley did go through a bunch of questions to make sure it was me. Will one of you tell me what that was all about?”

“After you…”

“Died,” Sirius said nonchalantly.

“Died,” Hermione said, “and the Ministry was forced to acknowledge Voldemort’s return, there were fears of Death Eaters using Polyjuice Potion to gain access into the homes of witches and wizards. It became standard practice to ask each other questions only the two involved would know the answer to.”

“Are Death Eaters still a problem, then?” he asked.

“We have caught the majority of them. Those who are left free seemed to have fled the country,” Harry said.

Hermione stood. “I think I am going to go home and freshen up. I won’t be gone long,” she said. “This will give you time to catch up.”

At Harry’s nod, she turned to go. “Hermione,” Harry called. “Will you do me a favour? Will you send an owl to Andromeda and let her know I can’t take Teddy this weekend?”

“Of course, is there anything you want me to bring you from home?” she asked.

Before Harry could answer, Sirius asked, “Teddy?”

“Remus’ and Tonks’ son. He usually spends the weekends with us at Grimmauld Place,” Harry answered, a smile lighting his face as he spoke of his godson.

“I don’t want you to change your plans for me,” Sirius said. “Besides, hopefully by then, I will be able to be at Grimmauld Place anyway. I can’t wait to meet him.”

Hermione took a few steps back towards Sirius. “If Kingsley lets you go to Grimmauld Place, for now, no one can know. So, having Teddy there would create a whole new set of problems.”

“Problems?” Sirius asked.

Harry burst out laughing. “Yeah, problems. First of all, you never get Teddy without all of the Weasleys showing up. Every time he is at Grimmauld Place the house becomes a free-for-all the entire time. Second, he is three and repeats everything. No doubt he would go back to Andromeda telling tales of ‘Sirius this, and Sirius that’. There is no way we could keep you a secret around him.”

“I’ll bring back some pictures for you to see.” Hermione promised.

“What does he look like?” Sirius asked.

Hermione spoke first, “I think he looks like Remus, except for his…”

“Hair,” Hermione and Harry said at the same time.

“Last time he was over, he kept changing it from turquoise to pink to green to bright blue.” Hermione laughed. “He changes it to whatever colour interests him at that moment. The only time you have to watch, is when it turns red. That only happens though, when he is mad about something.”

“Yeah, like when Kreacher won’t give him a cookie before dinner,” Harry said as he laughed.

Hermione joined in his laughter. “Well, I don’t think Kreacher will make that mistake again.” Seeing Sirius’ confused face, she explained, “Last weekend, Kreacher made cookies for dessert. Teddy wanted one but Kreacher told him, ‘Young Master, yous is going to have to wait. Kreacher is making your dinner now’. Teddy threw such a tantrum, Kreacher gave in and gave him a cookie just to get him to stop crying.

“Now Kreacher knows to make cookies before Teddy gets there.” Hermione smiled. “Teddy has Kreacher wrapped around his little finger.”

“Just like the rest of us,” Harry said.

“Wait, Kreacher, makes cookies for Teddy?” Sirius asked.

“Yes, he does. I told you Kreacher is… well, different now,” Hermione said. “Harry, I’ll let you to explain it to him. I’ll see you both in a little while.”

As Hermione was about to open the door, Sirus called to her, “Hermione…”

Turning she gave him a quizzical look.

“Thanks,” he said simply.

Hermione smiled. Then turned and walked out the door. She rushed out of the Department of Mysteries and took the lift up to her office. When she walked into the reception area, her secretary looked surprised to see her.

“Miss Granger, I thought you were working on an assignment for the Minister,” her secretary said.

“I am. I just stopped in for my bag that I left here yesterday,” Hermione said as she rushed through her office door. Closing the door behind her, she went to her desk. Pulling open the bottom drawer, she pulled out the little bag she still carried even after all this time.

Straightening up, she looked at her desktop. All of the files she had spread out yesterday were gone. She could only assume her replacement had them. She hoped whoever it was was at least efficient at their job. She could only imagine the mess she would be coming back to in a week or so.

Knowing there was nothing she could do about it, she rushed out of her office and went to the lift to go to the main level of the Ministry. She couldn’t use the Floo network to get to Grimmauld Place as Harry refused to take the chance of having it connected to the Ministry.

She would go to the Apparation point and Apparate home.

***

When Hermione closed the door, Sirius looked at his godson. He could see the questions in his eyes. Knowing his sense of humour could be misunderstood, Sirius rushed to explain. “Harry, all we did was talk last night. She told me what all of you have been doing since I went away.”

“I know that, it’s just… She is hurting right now. No matter how she tries to hide it. No matter how many times she says she is happy for Ron and Serena, it still has to hurt.” Harry looked at his godfather. “I just don’t want to see her hurt again.” Harry let the implied threat hang.

“I would never hurt her, Harry. But, enough of that, tell me about you and Ginny,” Sirius requested to change the subject. He wasn’t sure how he felt about Hermione. He just knew he was feeling things Harry would probably object to.

Harry smiled. “She is Captain of the Holyhead Harpies,” Harry said, pride evident in his voice. “She is thinking of retiring after next season though. The Daily Prophet has offered her a great job reporting on Quidditch when she finally retires. I’m thinking about asking her to marry me soon. But, I don’t want her to think she has to quit playing. She loves it so much.”

Over the next couple hours, Harry filled Sirius in on all the little gaps Hermione had left. Sirius felt almost as if he hadn’t missed a single thing in the past five years. Almost.

“Sirius, can I ask you something?” Harry asked hesitantly.

“Of course, Harry. You can ask me anything.”

“When I was in the forest…were you really there?”

*“Yes, I believe I told you dying was as quicker and easier than falling asleep. I also told you we were part of you and invisible to anyone else.” Sirius was surprised how clearly this memory came to his mind.

“So, you were really with my parents?” Harry’s voice sounded like a small child’s.

“I guess I was. I wish I could remember more. It seems the longer I am back, the cloudier the memories are.” Sirius said sadly.

“I know Hermione would want to be here to hear this, but maybe if you talk about what you do remember, the memories will last longer,” Harry said hopefully.

“Maybe,” Sirius said. “If I tell them to you, and they fade, then at least you will remember them.”

Before Sirius could begin, Hermione walked through the door. “Sorry it took me so long,” she said as she placed her bag on the table and opened it. She started pulling containers out of it and placing them on the table.

At Sirius’ surprised look, Harry laughed. “Undetectable Extension Charm,” he explained.

“Kreacher was very upset both of us were going to miss dinner. So, he made me bring it here to you, Harry. He said you need to eat properly and since he can’t be sure of what kind of food you would get here, he sent dinner with me to give to you.”

Harry just shook his head. Looking at Sirius, he said, “Hungry?”

Hermione finished pulling containers out of her bag by the time Harry and Sirius joined her at the table. Sitting down, they all began to eat.

“This is really good,” said Sirius, surprise in his voice.

“I told you Kreacher has changed,” Hermione said. “You won’t believe the difference in him and the house until you see it for yourself.”

“He took down the House-elves heads, your mother’s portrait, and the Black family tree for us.” Harry told Sirius.

“What did he do with them?” Sirius asked.

“I let him keep the heads, he has them in his little room we made for him off the pantry, and your mother’s portrait is hidden in the attic. I just didn’t feel right throwing it out. I offered it to Narcissa Malfoy, but she said she never liked the ‘old bat’ when she was alive, so why would she want her in her home now? She did however, take the family tree. I hope that is okay with you.” Harry looked at Sirius seeking his approval.

Sirius reached over and patted Harry’s hand. “Of course it is okay. Well, except for keeping my mother’s portrait. That is going as soon as I get back to the house,” he stated firmly.

After they finished eating, they went to sit back down on the couch and chair. Sirius and Hermione both sat on the couch leaving Harry to sit in the chair and shoot both of them another suspicious look.

Seeing Hermione’s blush, Sirius said, “So, do you still want to hear what I can remember?” He directed his question to Harry.

“Yes, I do,” Harry said.

“Well, then, I will tell you everything I can.”
End Notes:
* This is paraphrased from Chapter 34, The Forest Again, pages 699-700 of The Deathly Hallows, American Hardcover Edition.
Memories and An Unexpected Guest by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Many thanks to Alyssa (harry4lif) for being a wonderful friend and beta.

I am not J.K. Rowling. Anything you recognise is hers. I am just thankful to play in her world for a little while.

Sirius took a deep breath before he began telling them about his time behind the Veil.

“I remember fighting with Bellatrix, and her spell hitting me. I could see your face as I fell backwards, but I didn’t understand. The next thing I knew, I was yelling at your dad we had to get back to you to save you. Your dad just looked at me, Harry. He told me there was no going back. I think I punched him. I remember yelling you needed us, and your mum wrapping her arms around me and telling me everything would be okay.

“After that, it’s all kinda cloudy. I don’t really remember anything but peace. I can vaguely remember others joining us, Dumbledore, Moody. They each told us how you were doing, but...” Sirius made a disgusted sound. “It’s all so unclear. The only memory I can recall with complete clarity is the scene in the forest. Even the memory of finding the Time-turner is fading.” He looked at Hermione. “Why is that? I know I spent most of my time with your parents, Harry, but I can’t tell you anything.”

“I don’t really know why it is fading. I’ll ask Kingsley when I go upstairs to talk to him later if he knows or if he has any books that may help us to find out why. But, as far as I know…’ Hermione stopped talking and gasped. “I know I read somewhere about someone long ago doing research into the Veil. I just have to find out who it was and what they found out.”

Harry rolled his eyes. Hermione’s love of reading was legendary. “Hermione, with all the books you have read, that could take forever,” he said jokingly.

“Very funny, Harry,” she said. Looking at Sirius, who was smiling at their interaction, she said, “Sirius, what else can you remember? Do you remember Remus, Tonks and Fred joining you?”

Sirius thought for a moment. “I remember Remus and Tonks because Remus was not happy Tonks had not listened to him and came to Hogwarts. Fred? Fred joined us in pulling pranks and stuff.” Sirius laughed. “He has a wonderful imagination. Too bad he wasn’t born in time to be a Marauder.”

“Is there anything else you can remember?” Harry asked. “Maybe about my parents?”

“It is just little flashes. Just bits and pieces. It is hard to explain. You said I spent five years there, but to me, the memories only add up to maybe a day or two.”

Hermione reached over and put her hand on Sirius’ shoulder. When he turned his head and looked at her, she said, “Its okay. As you remember or think of the little bits and pieces, just tell us. We don’t expect you to be able to tell us everything you did for the past five years, just tell us anything you can.” She smiled at him.

It seemed to Sirius that he was falling into Hermione’s eyes. Why had he never noticed how her eyes had a sparkle to them when she smiled? Because the last time you saw her she was sixteen years old, he thought. She is not sixteen anymore. She is older than Lily was when she had Harry. The other part of his brain argued. She’s too young. The rational side of his brain resisted what the reckless side was saying. Shaking his head, he turned and looked at Harry.

“Harry, I know your parents are very proud of you. What you did, it just amazes me. The things Hermione told me you faced…” Sirius shook his head again. “I don’t think even your father could have done what you did at the same age.”

Hermione glanced at her watch. “I better go update the Minister,” she said as she stood.

“I’ll go,” Harry said. “There are a few things I want to discuss with him. The first being getting Sirius out of here and back to Grimmauld Place.”

“Harry, until we know how this happened…” Hermione began.

“Hermione, I don’t care how or why. There is no reason why he can’t come home with us. Tonight. No one needs to know he is there.” Harry’s voice held a note of stubbornness.

“I agree, Harry. But…” Again, Harry cut her off.

“Hermione, no buts. I will be back in a little while.” Looking over at Sirius, he said, “You do want to go to Grimmauld Place, don’t you?”

Sirius smiled. “Yes, I want to get out of here.”

“Then you will. I’ll be right back,” he said as he stood and walked to the door. As the door closed behind him, Hermione sat back down.

“I don’t think the Minister is going to go for it. At least not yet.” She smiled apologetically at Sirius.

“Hermione, it’s okay. As long as I have you and Harry for company, if I have to stay here a few more days, I’m fine with it.”

Hermione looked at Sirius. She could tell he meant what he said. “I know you said you don’t really remember much, but there is something I need to ask you.”

“Sure, I’ll tell you anything I can remember,” Sirius said.

“Other than Harry’s parents, what do you remember about the others who were there?” Hermione asked.

Sirius thought for a moment. “I remember Albus; he didn’t seem upset to be there. In fact, he seemed happy. Happier than I ever remember him.” Sirius concentrated on others he had met in what seemed to be a long dream to him, but wasn’t.

“I remember talking to my brother.” At Hermione’s gasp, Sirius smiled. “I was surprised to see him there. I couldn’t understand how a Death Eater came to be in such a beautiful place. He did tell me what he had done in the end. So, I guess that is why he was there.”

“What about Remus, Tonks and Fred?”

Sirius chuckled. “Tonks is still tripping over her own feet. Remus is… well, more content, I guess is the word to use. He is free from the monthly torture and seems to be enjoying life.” At Hermione’s raised eyebrows, Sirius said, “Well, it is life to him now. Fred should have been a Marauder. He would have fit right in. I’ll tell you, that kid comes up with the greatest pranks.” He burst out laughing.

“Just last week, he rearranged rooms so James walked in on Tonks getting ready for bed, just as Remus walked in on Lily. If you could have heard the screaming. He just stood there, in the hallway between their rooms, laughing hysterically.”

“So, everyone is really okay? I hoped they were, but… I just miss them so much.” Hermione started crying.

Reaching over, Sirius pulled Hermione into his arms to comfort her. This feel right, he thought. She’s upset, stop thinking of anything else, the good part of his brain fought back. Just shut the hell up and let me enjoy what I can, the reckless mind stated.

As the door opened, Hermione broke apart from him quickly; she jumped up and rushed over to the table, wiping the tears quickly from her face. She began cleaning the empty dishes and piling them in her bag.

“I got him to agree, but with a couple conditions,” Harry said as he approached Sirius who was still sitting on the couch.

“What conditions?” Sirius asked hesitantly.

“First, you can come to Grimmauld Place, but you have to stay there. You can’t go anywhere and one of us must stay with you all the time. Second, no one can know you are alive, at least not yet.”

“So I am to be a prisoner, a secret hidden prisoner again?” Sirius said resentment evident in his voice by his tone alone.

Hermione turned from the table and rushed to stoop in front of Sirius. “You can’t think of it that way. This is only temporary,” she said as she reached out and took his hand, “just until we figure out how to handle the questions that are going to be asked.”

Sirius looked down at Hermione then at her hand holding his. He pulled his hand from under hers and reached out to grasp her arms and stand her on her feet before he stood himself.

“Let’s go. I have seen enough of this place to last a lifetime,” he said smiling.

Hermione turned to Harry. “How are we going to do this?” she asked. “Are we going to go by Floo Powder?”

“No, even for this, I won’t connect the house,” Harry said, shaking his head. “Kingsley is going to lift the Anti-Disapparation charm in a few minutes. We can then leave directly from this room to Grimmauld Place. We will take Sirius along by Side-Along Apparation.”

Harry looked at his watch. “It’s time, let’s go.”

Hermione reached out and took one of Sirius’ arms as Harry moved over and did the same. Hermione and Harry looked at each other. They were both thinking of how familiar travelling this way was for them. The time during which they spent hunting Horcruxes, they often travelled this way.

As the crushing darkness lifted, Sirius found himself staring at the door of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. Even though he hated this place, he was glad to be there. Truth be told, he was glad to be anywhere.

Tapping his wand on the door, Harry reached out and opened it as soon as he heard the locks turn. He gestured for Sirius to enter first. Smiling at Hermione, he followed him through the door.

Sirius was in shock. He never imagined the foyer filled with bright sunlight. He couldn’t remember the last time he had seen it to clean. And he knew he had never seen it look so welcoming.

Gone was the peeling wallpaper replaced by a softly striped light coloured paper. The chandelier sparkled and the gas lamps also were clean and shiny. The most noticeable difference however, was the missing portrait of Walburga Black, in her place hung a lovely still-life portrait of a peaceful meadow.

Turning to look at Harry and Hermione, Sirius tried to speak, “It’s… it’s…”

“Clean?” Harry supplied.

“Bright?” Hermione tried.

Laughing, Sirius said, “Both. I am amazed. I can’t believe this is the same house. It didn’t look this good even when I was a child.”

Harry looked up as he heard someone coming down the stairs. “Damn, we forgot about…” His words were cut off.

“Master Harry, Kreacher didn’t expect you for dinner. Kreacher can have your dinner ready-” Kreacher’s voice stopped suddenly as he spotted Sirius standing in the foyer.

“Kreacher,” Harry began, but he was cut off by a high-pitched wail and watched as Kreacher threw himself at his feet.

“NO! No! No! Kreacher is Master’s. Kreacher will not go back to him. NO! NO! Nooooo.” Kreacher’s voice trailed off as his pleas turned to sobs.

Harry bent down and reached out to touch Kreacher. “Kreacher, it is okay. Nothing has changed, at least as far as I know.” Harry looked up at Hermione who shrugged her shoulders in answer to the unspoken question. Harry looked back at Kreacher. “Kreacher, Sirius is back, yes. But no one will treat you any different than they have been… including him.” Harry watched as Kreacher, his big globe shaped eyes peered up at Sirius.

“He is hating Kreacher. Don’t leave him here with me,” Kreacher asked Harry. Over the past three years, Kreacher had become even more the perfect House-elf than he was during their brief stay after Bill’s wedding.

Hermione bent down next to Kreacher and placed a hand on Kreacher’s arm. Sirius looked at the scene at his feet with amazement. He couldn’t believe Kreacher was allowing Hermione to touch him. Kreacher has always parroted Walburga’s beliefs when it came to witches and wizards of Hermione’s blood.

“Kreacher, it will be okay,” Hermione said, her voice consoling. “We told him about how you were a hero in the last battle. And it doesn’t matter who comes here, you should know we will never let anyone treat you badly.” Hermione looked up at Sirius as she said the last statement.

“Why don’t you go down and start dinner? The three of us will be staying here now,” Harry said.

With one last shuddering sob, Kreacher stood up. He gave a wary glance at Sirius before addressing Hermione. “I hope you brought the dishes back, young miss.”

“Of course I did. I have them here in my bag. I will come down with you and put them away.” Hermione smiled at him.

“The young miss will do no such thing. Kreacher will put them away. If you will just give them to me…” Kreacher held out his little hands.

“There are quite a few of them,” Hermione said. “I will bring them down for you.” She turned and started down the hallway to the stairs that lead to the kitchen. Kreacher bowed low to Harry and then gave Sirius a small bow and hurried after Hermione.

“Well, that was interesting,” Sirius said. “Hermione told me what Kreacher had done and how he had changed, but I found it hard to believe.” He continued to look towards the stairs to the kitchen.

Smiling, Harry said, “He is different now. Sirius,” Harry hesitated, “I am asking you to give him a chance. I know what he did before you died, but he has made up for it, over and over again.”

Looking at his godson, Sirius sighed. He never liked the House-elf, but that was in the past. Kreacher no longer sounded like a miniature of his mother. “I’ll try,” Sirius said.

“Let’s go up to the Drawing Room. Kreacher will find us when dinner is ready.” Harry started towards the staircase.

As Harry and Sirius reached the top of the stairs, they heard Hermione coming up behind them.

“Dishes all put away?” Harry asked jokingly.

“Sometimes, that elf…” Hermione said. “He wouldn’t let me put them away. He had me leave them on the table as he was rushing around to get dinner ready. I told him there was no need to rush, whenever it was ready, was fine. But, he is worried if he displeases you, Harry, you will leave him here alone with Sirius. I also told him he can’t tell anyone about Sirius but I think you need to tell him Harry. Just to make sure he understands he can’t say anything.”

“I’ll talk to him,” Harry said as he opened the doors to the Drawing Room. The room, once dusty and dank, was now light and airy. Gone was the Black Family tree, the glass fronted cabinets now held small treasures and knickknacks. Across the mantle of the fireplace were pictures of the Weasleys, Harry’s pictures of Lily and James as well as pictures of Teddy. It was however the picture in the centre that captured Sirius as he approached the fireplace.

Sitting in a simple gold frame was the now restored picture Lily had sent to Sirius. “This is the picture your mum sent me after your first birthday.” Sirius smiled at the baby zooming around on a tiny broomstick. As he set the picture down, he looked at the others. He was shocked to see all the pictures of James and Lily.

“They look exactly the same,” he said in wonder. As his gaze travelled through the remaining pictures, he smiled at the one of Bill, Fleur and Victoire. “This is Bill’s wife and daughter?” he asked.

Harry, who had joined him at the fireplace, looked at the photograph. “Yes, she was the Triwizard Champion from Beauxbatons.” In the picture, you could hardly see Bill’s scars.

Sirius put the picture down and turned to survey the rest of the room. “Just seeing the entrance, the stairs minus the elf heads, and this room, I can’t wait to see the rest of the house. I am amazed at the change.”

Before Harry could answer, a Patronus in the shape of a lynx came through the window landing gracefully on the floor in front of him.

The lynx spoke in the voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt, “Harry, I need you in my office immediately. Received intelligence on Greyback.” Having delivered the message, the Patronus disappeared.

Harry looked at Sirius and Hermione. “I have to go,” he said as he rushed to the door.

As his hand reached for the doorknob, Hermione called, “Harry!” When he turned to face her, she said simply, “Be careful. It is only two days until the full moon.” Nodding, Harry raced out the door and they could hear him going quickly down the stairs.

Hermione and Sirius could hear the muted voice of Kreacher and Harry answering him.

Turning to Sirius, Hermione attempted to reassure him. “He will be fine. Harry is the best at what he does.”

Sirius knew she was trying to reassure him even as she was trying to convince herself of what she was saying. He was not happy with once again, being forced to sit by and have Harry go off into danger.

“So, would you like to see the rest of the house?” Hermione asked trying to force some lightness into her tone. She was worried, and knew Sirius was too. She wanted to keep him distracted so he didn’t try to do anything rash.

“Sure. How did all this happen?” he asked.

“After the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry stayed at the Weasleys for a little while when he wasn’t out chasing the remaining Death Eaters. After a few months though, he and Ron decided staying here would be more convenient for them. Kreacher was so happy to come back, he had the whole house cleaned in no time.

“After I finished school, I decided to stay here, too. Then Ginny is here whenever she is in town, so we decided to really clean and brighten the place up.” Hermione laughed. “Harry and Ron were out of town for a little over a week. When they got back, this is what they found.

“Molly and Kreacher worked so hard to make this place the way Ginny wanted it. If you could have seen Harry’s face when he walked through the door...” Hermione opened the door to Sirius’ old room. “This is the only room that other than being cleaned hasn’t been changed. Harry wouldn’t let us change anything.”

Sirius looked though the door at his old bedroom. Yes, it was clean, but other than that, it looked exactly the same. The same posters hung on the walls with the Gryffindor banners.

“Harry uses this room, but I am sure he will move out of it for you.”

“No, he can stay here. I’ll use one of the other rooms. Who uses my brother’s room?” he asked.

“Ron. We redid it for him. Now that he and Serena will be living in their house by the Burrow, that room will be empty.” Hermione was proud of herself she could speak of Ron and Serena without even a hitch in her voice.

Opening the door, Sirius looked in. “I’ll stay in here,” he said simply before closing the door again.

They went through the rest of the rooms, and Sirius couldn’t help but be impressed with the changes. As they were nearing the bottom of the steps into the entrance way, Hermione was finishing telling him of Kreacher’s attack on Mundungus.

“And there he sat crouched, frying pan ready to hit him again begging Harry to let him hit him one more time,” she said as they both burst out laughing.

They were laughing so hard, neither heard the click of the locks turning nor the door opening. As they started across the entranceway, they realised they weren’t alone.

“Hermione, where’s Harry?” Bill asked hurriedly. Then suddenly, he spotted the man standing behind her. “Sirius?”

“Bill!” Hermione exclaimed. There in front of her stood Bill Weasley, his wand pointed directly at Sirius’ heart.
A New Challenge by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank my wonderful beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I am not J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her to be able to play in her world. If only for a little while.
Hermione instinctively moved to stand in front of Sirius. “Bill, wait. It’s okay. Let me explain.”

“Hermione,” Bill said, very calmly, “move over here next to me.” His wand never wavered.

“It's okay,” Sirius said, “go over by Bill. He won’t do anything rash.” Sirius hoped Bill would listen before he did anything.

“Your name is William Arthur Weasley and you are named after your father; a father who loves all things Muggle. You once worked in Egypt as a Curse-Breaker for Gringotts bank.” Sirius looked directly into Bill’s eyes as he spoke.

Hermione who refused to move from in front of Sirus, tried to reason with Bill. “Bill, please listen to me.” Bill ignored her.

“Any Death Eater would know that. Try telling me something they wouldn’t know,” Bill said sarcastically.

“Would any Death Eater know about the night you got locked in a pyramid with a young Muggle woman? How the candles went out and you couldn’t find where you put your wand down to get yourself out?” Sirius asked smiling.

“It’s possible, maybe,” Bill said but his tone was doubtful.

“Would they be able to describe her to you? Let’s see, I believe you said she was a redhead, tiny and petite…” Sirius paused for a heartbeat before saying, “with the exception of her… um… chest.”

“Sirius? It really is you? How? When?” Bill lowered his wand and rushed over to draw Sirius into a hug.

Hermione looked at the two men embracing with tears in her eyes. She knew there were going to be lots of questions. “Why don’t we go down and see if Kreacher has dinner ready? We can explain everything then.”

“I don’t have time for dinner, I need to find Harry. But, I also need to know how this happened,” he said gesturing to Sirius.

“Let’s go down to the kitchen. We may as well be comfortable while we explain.” Hermione turned and started down the stairs to the kitchen.

When they entered the kitchen, the first thing Sirius noticed was this room also received the same cleaning as the rest of the house. The counters as well as the table were spotless and shining. Bustling around fixing dinner was Kreacher.

“Kreacher will have dinner ready in a few moments,” Kreacher said as he spotted Hermione.

“That's fine, Kreacher, no rush. We have some things to discuss before we eat anyway.” Hermione smiled at the House-elf.

Sitting down at the table, Bill looked at Hermione expectantly. “Can you give me a quick explanation?”

Hermione took a deep breath. This was the first test. “Short version, during the battle at the Department of Mysteries, one of the Death Eaters had a Time-turner stuck to the back of his robes. He didn’t know this and during the fight, it got knocked into the Veil. Yesterday, Sirus found it. He used it and ended up on the floor in front of the Veil.”

“If he used it, and it worked, then…” Bill’s words were stopped by Sirus.

“Bill, when I found it, I was with James and Lily. Lily said it wouldn’t work. I tried to prove her wrong. I put the necklace around all three of us. I was the only one who made it back,” Sirius explained.

“Kingsley believes, as do I, that the only reason it worked for Sirius was because he was alive when he fell through the Veil,” Hermione said, sympathy in her voice. She knew Bill was thinking of Fred.

Bill’s battle scarred face fell. “Yeah, you are probably right. So, why haven’t you told everyone you are back?”

“Only Kingsley knows besides myself and Harry. Until we figure out the truth and how to explain it to everyone, we need to keep his being alive a secret.” Hermione looked at Bill.

“I understand. I won’t say anything to anyone,” Bill said. “I came today because I need to find Harry.”

“Is something wrong?” Sirius asked.

“I’m not sure. Where is he?”

“Kingsley sent him an urgent request to come to the Ministry; something about intelligence on Greyback.”

“Damn, I was afraid of that.” Bill stood to leave. “How long ago did he go?”

“About an hour or so,” Hermione said. She was getting scared. Something wasn’t right. “Bill what’s going on?”

“I heard some rumours. I think this may be a trap. Greyback’s supporters know Ron is away, and figure Harry will be vulnerable if he goes after him now. From what I hear, they leaked a location close to where they are. Once Harry gets there, they will hide while he looks around.

“It is so close to the full moon, they don’t have to wait long before they can attack Harry and anyone with him. I have to go and stop him from going.” Bill started towards the door.

Sirius jumped to his feet. “I am going with you,” he said. Bill stopped and turned around to look at him.

“Sirius, no. You can’t go. You have to stay here,” Hermione pleaded also getting to her feet. “Harry won’t go alone. Neville will go with him and I am sure he realises this may be a trap and will take extra Aurors with him.”

“Hermione is right, Sirus. You have to stay here. You would only be a distraction to Harry right now. I will go and try to stop him. If I can’t, I will go and help him. Don’t worry, I will keep Harry safe,” Bill assured him.

“I can’t stay here while Harry is in danger. I won’t,” Sirius said.

Hermione laid a restraining hand on Sirius’ arm. “You can’t go. I know you want to, but Bill is right. Harry doesn’t need to be worried about you right now,” she said then added, “Please.”

Sirius looked down at Hermione. He was torn. He wanted to go and help Harry. Once again, he was stuck in this house waiting while his godson put his life in danger. Feeling helpless, he looked at Bill.

“You promise to take care of Harry?” he asked.

“Yes. I know you don’t agree with us about staying here, but you have to. Hopefully, I will catch up with Harry at the Ministry and be able to stop him from going.” He again turned towards the door leading to the stairs. Stopping he looked back. “I will send word either way once I reach the Ministry.” With that, he strode out the door and up the stairs.

Hermione sat back down and looked at Sirius. She knew he was struggling with the same feelings of being useless as he had years ago when he was stuck hiding here while the Ministry under Fudge looked for him.

Sirius sighed heavily and sat down at the head of the table next to Hermione. It wasn’t a conscious thought to sit there, he did it automatically. He noticed Kreacher stiffened posture when he spotted where Sirius had sat down. Sirius was too worried about Harry to try to reassure an elf, he wasn’t convinced would even listen to him.

“Hermione, what happened to Bill’s face?” Sirius asked.

Hermione who after four years didn’t even notice Bill’s scars anymore was momentarily puzzled. She realised within seconds Sirius fell through the Veil before Bill had been attacked.

“The night Professor Dumbledore was killed, Bill was at Hogwarts fighting with us against the Death Eaters. He was attacked by Greyback-”

Sirius gasp cut her off. “You mean he is…” Sirius couldn’t finish the sentence.

“No,” Hermione said quickly, “Greyback wasn’t transformed when he attacked Bill.” Hermione reached over to take Sirius’ hand. “Bill isn’t a werewolf. He does have some side effects, but nothing major.”

“Side effects?” Sirius questioned.

“He likes his meat just about raw; he claims his hearing is improved along with his eyesight and sense of smell.” Hermione smiled at Sirius. “He said his improved hearing will help when Victoire grows up and starts dating.” Hermione chuckled.

“I feel sorry for any boy who wants to date her,” Sirius said before he, too, started laughing.

Over dinner, Hermione answered all the little questions Sirius asked. As they were finishing dinner, another Patronus this one in the form of a lion appeared in the kitchen.

“Harry left before I got to the Ministry,” came Bill’s voice, “I am going after him. Stay there, I will bring him home safe.”

“Hermione,” Sirius said but Hermione cut him off.

“Sirius, no. You can’t go. First of all, we don’t even know where to go. Second, Harry would be worried about you and protecting you, that would only distract him. You have to stay here.” Hermione again reached over the table to grasp Sirius’ hand.

“Harry has faced worse. He knows what he is doing. He isn’t the fifteen year old boy anymore, he is an adult.” Hermione hoped she didn’t sound patronising or mean, but Sirius had to understand staying here was the best thing he could do in this case.

After a few minutes, Sirius nodded his head. “Okay, I’ll stay here. Let’s go upstairs and you can tell me more about my adult godson.” Smiling, Sirius stood and pulled Hermione to her feet. Still holding her hand, he started towards the stairs.

Sirius held Hermione’s hand all the way up to the Drawing room, and continued to hold it even after they sat side by side on the sofa. In his mind, he continued to argue with the good half of himself and the bad.

Over the next several hours, they talked about everything and nothing. Both were tense and anxious awaiting either news or Harry to come home. It was after midnight when their conversation started to drift into silence.

Hermione eyes began to drift close and without thinking leaned against Sirius. Sirius gently placed his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. As he had done the previous night, he settled into the corner of the sofa, adjusting Hermione so she was lying between him and the back of the sofa.

Sirius knew he should not be enjoying this as much as he was. The thoughts going through his mind were ones he probably should not be having. But he couldn’t stop himself from snuggling next to her and allowing himself to drift to sleep.

*****

Hermione was having the most wonderful dream. She was lying in the arms of the man she loved and could feel him gently stroking her hair. She could feel the kiss he placed on her forehead. Sighing, she adjusted herself so her head was pressed against his chest. She could hear his heartbeat, steady though slightly fast.

Slowly, Hermione realised the warmth she was feeling was too strong to be a dream. She didn’t move at first, trying to remember exactly where she was and who she was lying with. Within seconds, she realized she had once again fell asleep on a sofa with Sirius and woke with her body curled into his.

She continued to stay perfectly still. If she was honest with herself, she was enjoying this far more than she should. She knew it was wrong, but what could a few more moments hurt? It had been so long since someone had just held her. Hermione thoughts turned to Ron and before she knew it, she was crying into Sirius’ chest.

“Hush, it’s okay,” Sirius said soothingly. Sirius pulled Hermione closer to him. He held her tightly in his arms and let her cry. He didn’t know why she was crying, but he had a feeling it had something to do with Ron.

As her tears began to lessen, Sirius pulled back slightly so he could look into her face. “Do you want to talk about it?” he asked gently.

“It’s just…” Hermione’s voice broke. After a few more tears, she drew a deep breathe. “I’m sorry. It’s just sometimes, it hurts. I am happy for him, for both of them, but…” She stopped talking and pushed against Sirius’ chest so she was able to sit up.

Sirius swung his legs onto the floor as she sat up. He looked down at her tearstained face feeling helpless.

Sirius would never know what made him do it, he would think later it was the reckless side of him coming out, but he reached out and gently tucked the loose strand of hair that had fallen on Hermione’s face behind her ear. He then slowly, as if giving her time to move, bent down and gently kissed her. The kiss lasted only a moment but when he drew back, her eyes were for an instant clouded, before the confusion entered them.

“Hermione, I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that,” he said.

Hermione just looked at him. She didn’t say anything. Reaching up, she laid her hand on his cheek as she leaned towards him.

Taking this as a sign she wanted him to kiss her again, he pulled her into his arms. Once again lowering his head, he gently brushed his lips across hers. He wanted to give her the time to pull away if she chose to. When she merely leaned more towards him, Sirius slowly deepened the kiss.

Though he intended to keep this first genuine kiss simple and light, it took everything Sirius had to not give in to the feelings that were coursing through him. Tenderly, he stroked her face as he drew back.

“Hermione,” he whispered.

‘Don’t say anything,” she said, “please.” She lowered her head to his chest as she wrapped her arms more securely around him. They sat like this, each lost in their own thoughts, until they heard the rattle of the doorknob.

Hermione was the first to react, jumping up from the sofa. She gave a frantic look at Sirius before rushing to the door. As her hand grasped the handle, she looked back towards the sofa. Sirius was no longer sitting there and it took her a few seconds to find him in the corner behind the door.

Carefully, she pulled the door open and upon seeing Ginny standing there, she pushed Ginny back out of the door.

“Ginny, what are you doing here?” she asked quickly. “Harry didn’t tell me you were in town.”

“I came to surprise him. Where is he?” Ginny asked. She looked towards the now closed door of the drawing room then back at Hermione, suspicion in her eyes.

“He’s...he had to follow a lead Kingsley received tonight,” Hermione knew her stumbling words were going to cause more suspicion. Sighing, Hermione knew she had to not only tell Ginny about Harry’s assignment, but about Sirius too.

“Ginny, there are a couple things I need to tell you,” Hermione said, taking Ginny’s arm. “Let’s go down to the kitchen.”

Ginny looked from Hermione to the closed door and then back again. “I’m not hungry and I think I want to know why you don’t want me going into that room.” Before Hermione could react, Ginny broke out of her grasp and opened the door to the drawing room stepping quickly inside.

Hermione held her breath even as she rushed after Ginny. “Ginny, I can explain...” her words stopped when she realised the room was completely empty.

“Explain what exactly?” Ginny asked, curiosity replacing the suspicion in her voice.

“Ginny, let’s sit down. This is going to take awhile. First, I’m sure though you are wondering why I was acting so strange, I think you would rather know where Harry is.” At Ginny’s nod, Hermione continued, “He got a message from Kingsley shortly after we got home tonight. The Ministry received intelligence on Greyback’s whereabouts. He of course, rushed right out to follow the lead.”

At Ginny’s gasp, Hermione tried to give her a reassuring smile. “A little bit after Harry left, Bill showed up looking for him. He was worried it was a trap. He went after Harry and when he missed him at the Ministry, he went to help him.” Hermione took a deep breath. She knew Ginny was scared and worried.

“Ginny, Harry will be okay. Nothing will happen to him,” she said in an attempt to reassure her best friend.

Ginny nodded. “But, that doesn’t explain why you didn’t want me coming in here,” Ginny said as she looked around the room.

“No, it doesn’t. This is the part of the story that will take the most time and explaining.”

Before Hermione could go any further, Kreacher came bursting into the room. “I is bringing tea for the young misses ‘cause I is wanting to,” he said as he approached the two women. “I is not doing it for...for...him.” Kreacher shuddered as he said the last word.

Hermione understood at once. Apparently, somehow, Sirius had gotten down to the kitchen and told Kreacher to bring tea up to them. She knew it was too much to hope Ginny hadn’t caught the reference to someone else being in the house; someone Kreacher didn’t want to listen to.

“Hermione?” Ginny questioned.

“Part of the story,” Hermione answered. “Thank you, Kreacher. It was very thoughtful of you to bring us tea. If we need anything else, we will let you know.” Hermione spoke gently to the elf. She hoped the elf understood she would take care of the issue with Sirius.

Kreacher bowed low and murmuring under his breath about dead masters coming back, left the room.

Ginny looked at Hermione and raised her eyebrows in question. Hermione knew it was time to tell her everything.

“Kingsley came to my office this morning about a problem. He told me it was something he felt I had the proper experience to handle. It involved a Time-turner.” Hermione held up her hand to stop Ginny from speaking.

“Yes, they were all supposedly destroyed in the battle at the Ministry-”

“Supposedly?” gasped Ginny. Her face lost the little colour it had.

“One survived,” Hermione said. “During the battle in the Veil room, it fell through the Veil. It had been attached to the robes of one of the Death Eaters.”

Ginny quickly understood, far quicker than Hermione expected. “Who? Who came back?” she asked quietly.

Hermione could see the hope in Ginny’s eyes. Hermione opened her mouth to answer, to explain Fred couldn’t come back and why, when a voice came from the doorway.

“I did.”
Promised Freedom by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
Again, I need to thank my beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything in this story you recognise is hers. I am thankful to play in this world for a time.
Ginny’s eyes swung from Hermione to the doorway; the doorway where Sirius Black, five years dead Sirius Black, stood. Her gaze swung back to Hermione and she crumbled.

Hermione reached for her as she fell and managed to push her towards the sofa. Rounding on Sirius, she said, “Was that really necessary?” Her voice laced with anger.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think she would react like that,” he said softly. He walked over to where Hermione was kneeling beside the couch. “What should we do?”

“You should go over there and sit quietly. Let me explain,” she said. She looked at Ginny and saw she was stirring. “Ginny...Ginny, come on now. Open your eyes,” Hermione coaxed.

Ginny’s eyes slowly opened. She kept them fixed on Hermione’s face. “What happened?” she asked. “Did I just-”

“You fainted. I’m sorry, he shouldn’t have shocked you like that,” Hermione said and her eyes drifted over to where Sirius sat. Ginny followed her look and gasped.

“I saw...he’s really...but...” Ginny shook her head as if to clear it. Finally, she asked simply, “How?”

Ginny sat up and stared at Sirius as Hermione explained what had happened. When she got to the part about the necklace being also put around James and Lily, Hermione saw Ginny look around expectantly. At Sirius’ small shake of his head, Ginny’s face took on a resigned look.

Hermione finished her story and looked at Ginny. “This is real, then?” Ginny asked. When Hermione nodded, Ginny stood and walked over to Sirius. She leaned down and hugged him briefly. “I’m glad you are back, but I wish...”

“I guess I will be getting a lot of that,” Sirius said wryly. “I’m not who most people would have wanted to come back...given a choice.”

“No, Sirius, that is what I meant,” Ginny said. “I am happy you are back. Oh, Harry must be thrilled. It’s just...Fred...” her voice trailed off.

“He knows what you meant, Ginny. It’s okay. Sirius, maybe you could tell Ginny about Fred,” Hermione said encouragingly.

“You saw Fred? Is he okay, is he happy?” Ginny asked in a rush as she grabbed one of Sirius’ hands.

Sirius smiled. “He is fine, everyone is.” Sirius began to tell Ginny about some of the jokes Fred had been part of. Ginny had sat on the sofa to listen to the stories. Hermione laughed along with Ginny as she listened but as time went on, she began to get more worried about Harry.

She looked again at the clock on the mantle and when her eyes went back to Sirius, she saw understanding and the worry in his. Glancing at Ginny, she saw the same emotions mirrored in hers. Giving up all pretence of not worrying, Hermione stood and began to pace the room.

Kreacher came in and picked up the untouched tray of tea. Looking at Hermione he asked, “Kreacher is making dinner. Will Master be home?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” replied Hermione. “I know I’m not hungry,” she said and looked to Sirius and Ginny who shook their heads. “There really isn’t any need to make anything to eat. If Harry is hungry when he gets back, I can make him something.”

“Young miss will do no such thing,” said Kreacher indignantly. “Kreacher will make dinner and the young misses and the dead master will eat. Master Harry would want it that way,” he said firmly. “Kreacher will let you know when dinner is ready.” With that, he bustled out of the room.

Shaking his head, Sirius asked, “Is he always so bossy?”

“You have no idea,” said Hermione. “Do you believe me now that he has changed?”

“Maybe,” Sirius said. He stood and walked over to the window. He stood, shoulders slumped looking out the window.

“Sirius, can I ask you something?” Hermione waited until he turned around and nodded. “How did you get out of this room? I was right outside the door with Ginny, so I know you didn’t leave through the door.

Sirius began laughing. “I wondered when you were going to ask that.” He walked over to the fireplace. Standing on the right side, he reached out and pushed on the edge of the mantelpiece. The glass fronted cabinet next to the fireplace slid soundlessly forward, revealing a passageway.

“A secret passageway?” asked Hermione. “Where does it lead?” She walked over towards him followed closely by Ginny. “Are there more?”

“Yes, the whole house is connected to the passageways. You can get to any room by going through them. Well, any room except mine. The doorway in my room has been charmed to only open for me. Self-preservation on my part,” he said quietly.

When Hermione made to enter the passageway, Sirius reached out and pulled her back. “They haven’t been used for years. I don’t think anyone should be using them until I make sure they are safe.”

At that moment, they heard a shout from downstairs. Panic crossed Hermione’s face as she looked at Sirius. He shook his head and closed the passageway.

“Hermione!” yelled a voice once more from the hallway downstairs.

Hermione recognised Bill’s voice when he yelled once more and with Ginny keeping pace alongside her, rushed from the room. Hermione knew Sirius was right behind them but at this point, fear of what the shouting meant, she didn’t care. If anyone was with Bill, they would just have to deal with a man back from the dead.

“Bill, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked as she rushed down the stairs. The question was unnecessary when she spotted Bill holding an unconscious Harry in his arms. She felt herself being pushed to the side as Sirius rushed past her.

“Here,” he said as he pushed open the doors to the dining room. He rushed ahead of Bill and moved the vase off the table. “What happened and why in Merlin’s name didn’t you take him to St Mungo’s?”

Bill walked over to the table and gently laid Harry down. Ginny scrambled up onto the table and sat at Harry’s head and pulled it onto her lap. She brushed the hair out of his eyes.

“He told me if anything happened, I was to bring him here. He said he had to keep you safe and you would go to St Mungo’s without care as to the fallout.” Sirius nodded as he looked down on his godson.

“It was a trap, but Harry suspected it was. He and Neville had a plan to turn the tables on them. It would have worked if not for the Muggle child. She came out of nowhere and spotted one of Greyback’s followers hiding behind some dustbins. She asked him what he was doing and he grabbed her.

“There was nothing any of us could do but react. Neville snuck around behind him, while Harry and I distracted him. When he turned on Neville, Harry rushed in and grabbed the girl. He Apparated away, and returned within moments.” Bill shuddered.

“By that time, Neville and I were under fire. Then, Greyback showed up. For a moment the fighting stopped, but when Greyback spotted me, he got angry. Suddenly, they all turned on me.”

“ENOUGH!” roared Sirius causing all of them to jump. “What happened to Harry?”

Hermione had momentarily gotten caught up in Bill’s story and Sirius’ outburst had her refocusing on Harry. Spotting the blood running down his arm, she yelled for Kreacher. When he entered the room with a loud, Crack, Hermione rushed to tell him what she needed.

Once the elf scurried off to get the requested items, Hermione began trying to get Harry’s jacket off him. Seeing what she was trying to do, Bill and Sirius helped her by sitting him up so she could get it off him. She removed his shirt and Ginny gasped at the gash down his arm.

“Oh, Ron is going to love this one. Splinched himself,” Hermione muttered. Another loud Crack announced Kreacher’s return. Hermione turned and grabbed the bottle of Essence of Dittany from him. Pouring it on the wound, she reached and took the bandages Kreacher held out to her and began cleaning around the wound.

“When he got back from rescuing the Muggle girl, we were too busy fighting to notice he was bleeding. It was only after the cowards left that we saw the blood,” explained Bill. “The adrenaline was wearing off, and he suddenly collapsed.”

As Hermione worked to clean up the blood, Harry moaned. Ginny jumped and leaned down close to his face. “Harry, Harry, come on, wake up,” she said.

“Ginny?” asked Harry weakly. “What...Ginny, you have to get out of here...Greyback-”

“Its okay, Harry. You are safe. You’re at Grimmauld Place,” said Ginny soothingly.

“I’m at Grimmauld Place?” Harry asked before suddenly sitting up. It was only Sirius’ quick reflexes that kept Ginny from tumbling backwards off the table. “Ginny, you-” Whatever Harry had been about to say, never came out of his mouth as he fell backwards onto Ginny’s lap, unconscious again.

“Hermione?” Ginny’s voice was laced with fear.

Hermione looked down at Harry. “He’s okay. He just moved too fast. When Ron Splinched himself, he was weak for a couple days, and he didn’t lose as much blood as Harry. But, I think maybe we should get some Blood-Replenishing Potion from St Mungo’s for him.” She looked around. She knew Ginny wouldn’t leave Harry, Sirius couldn’t go and Bill going would probably raise too many questions.

“I’ll pop over and get some. I work for the Ministry so questions should be kept at a minimum...at least I hope,” she told them. She was just turning to leave, when Kreacher came quickly into the room. He handed Hermione a bottle.

“For my master,” he said. “Kreacher takes care of Master, even if Master doesn’t know.”

Hermione looked down at the potion. “What is this?” she asked as she uncorked the small vial and smelled the contents.

“Blood-Replenishing Potion,” came the reply from the doorway. Kingsley strode into the room, and looked at the assembled company. He nodded to Bill, and looked at Sirius. “I am guessing Harry’s plan to keep you a secret has hit a couple snags,” he said, humour evident in his voice.

Ginny and Hermione were doing their best to try to get Harry to drink some of the potion. The fact he was unconscious was making it difficult. They managed to get a few drops down his throat, when Hermione gave up.

“We will just have to wait until he is conscious again,” she said, stepping back. “It wasn’t Harry’s fault, sir. Bill came looking for Harry and so did Ginny.”

Kingsley held up a hand. “I knew it wouldn’t take long for someone to discover he was here. After all, Grimmauld Place is a very popular place. I knew this when I agreed to let Sirius come here.”

“You knew?” gasped Hermione.

“Yes, I knew. I knew it would only be family who would discover he was alive. I knew the first test of the reactions should be family since they would be the easiest to control. Though I am sure the reactions from others will be stronger, responding to family will help all of you with dealing with others.” Kingsley smiled.

He looked at Sirius. “I think the rest of the Weasley family should be told before the general wizarding population finds out. I don’t recommend taking an ad out in The Daily Prophet but I see no reason why we need to keep your return a secret. Your record is completely clear and in fact, I believe the Ministry owes you a full and complete apology.” Kingsley smiled and walked over to hug Sirius. “If you are interested in a job...” He let the sentence dangle.

Sirius laughed. He was joined by Bill and Kingsley. It was the laughter that had Harry’s eyes opening. He tried to sit up, but Ginny held him down.

“No, stay still,” she said. “Hermione has some medicine for you to drink. Everything is okay, you are safe.”

“But, Ginny, I can explain-” His words were cut off by Ginny pressing her finger against his lips.

“Harry,” Kingsley said as he came around the table so Harry could see him. “It is okay. I just told Sirius that once you tell the Weasleys about him, hiding him is over. I knew when I said he could come here, it wouldn’t be long his return would be a secret. So, no worries.”

Harry looked at Kingsley. “You knew? Then why did you argue against it?”

“Because if I didn’t raise any objections, you would have thought something was going on,” Kingsley answered. Seeing Harry’s nod of agreement, he continued, “I had many reasons I could have used to keep him at the Ministry, and to prevent you and Hermione from telling anyone. However, there was a very compelling reason, to just let you bring him home.” Kingsley paused letting everyone wonder for a bit at what that reason could be.

“After everything each of you have been through, how could I deny any of you the joy of having a loved one returned to you?” Kingsley smiled. “Now, if I may suggest, I think the reunion can wait until you are a bit stronger. I think a day or two of rest is in order. I will get a report from Bill, and Neville, and you can add yours in a couple days.”

“Sir, I can give you my report now,” Harry said as he tried to sit up. Ginny helped to steady him as Sirius and Kingsley each grabbed one of his arms. “Just let me sit for a moment, and I’ll tell you everything.”

Kingsley just shook his head. “Okay, I won’t argue with you about it, but how about we get you up to bed first? Then you can give me your report.”

Sirius and Kingsley each kept a tight hold on Harry as they helped him walk out of the dining room and up the stairs. They paused briefly on each of the landings. By the time they reached the top floor and the door to Sirius’ bedroom, they were practically carrying Harry.

“Give us a few minutes to get him settled and give his report to Kingsley,” Sirius said to the others. He saw each of them nod their heads. Hermione and Bill turned for the staircase, but Ginny looked at Sirius stubbornly.

“Ginny, I’ll call you as soon as he is done...I promise.” Sirius looked at Hermione, who came over to take Ginny by the arm. She pulled her gently towards the stairs, reassuring her that Harry would be okay.

As Sirius and Kingsley entered the bedroom, they found Kreacher was already there and had a fire going and the bed turned down.

“If the dead master will let Kreacher take care of his Master, Kreacher will get him settled.”

“Its okay, Kreacher. We can manage,” Sirius said, surprise at the house-elf’s commitment to Harry made Sirius’ voice kind. “Kreacher,” Sirius said to the house-elf whose head had dropped at his words, “thank you for getting the room ready.”

Kreacher looked at Sirius with surprise evident on his face. “Kreacher is only doing what Kreacher wants. Master Harry is injured and Kreacher must take care of him.” The house-elf stood straight up and tried to look intimidating.

Sighing, Sirius nodded. As he and Kingsley half carried, half dragged Harry towards the bed, Sirius burst out laughing. Both Kreacher and Kingsley looked at him curiously.

“This reminds me of the night of James’ bachelor party. Remus and I had to drag him to bed after he finished a bottle of Firewhisky almost completely on his own.” Sirius was laughing so hard as he explained, he almost dropped Harry.

Kreacher rushed over to help get Harry into bed. He then pushed Kingsley and Sirius aside as he began getting Harry out of his clothes. Sirius and Kingsley moved a short distance away from the bed.

“I will leave you to talk to Harry,” Sirius said. “Just one thing, were you serious in your offer of a job?”

“Yes, I was. You need to take some time, but when you are ready, there is a job for you in the Auror department. Though, that will mean, your godson will be your boss,” Kingsley said chuckling.

Sirius laughed and patted Kingsley’s shoulder as he left the room. He was about to be a free man with a job. He felt a momentary twinge for the loss of his friends, but he also felt excitement. He had his life back and he was going to make the most of it.

As he started down the stairs, he heard Hermione’s laughter echoing up the stairs. Yes, I am going to make the most of it, he thought to himself, and smiled broadly at the thought.
Out of Time and Place by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank my wonderful friend and beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I would also like to thank Thea (ProfPosky) for the inspiration for this chapter.

Everything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her for creating a world which I get to play in.

Sirius could hear everyone in the Drawing room. He stopped outside the door and just listened. Hearing the voices, he was reminded of the Christmas the Weasleys came here. The Christmas before he died. Sirius shuddered at the thought.

He stepped back from the door. He didn’t quite understand why, but he felt like he didn’t belong here. He realised that it was true. He didn’t belong in this time. He was more out of place and time now then after he escaped from Azkaban.

He must have made some noise, because the door opened. Standing in the doorway was Ginny. She looked at him and he could see the lingering fear in her eyes.

“He’s fine,” Sirius told her. “Kingsley is talking to him now. You’ll be able to go up to him in a few minutes.”

“Thanks,” she said. “Are you okay? Why are you just standing out here?” she asked.

“I...it’s nothing,” Sirius said quickly. “I was just thinking about...” He shrugged his shoulders. “It doesn’t matter.” He smiled at her. He wouldn’t add to anyone’s problems by bringing up his own feelings of being out of sorts.

They both turned when they heard someone coming down the steps. Kingsley was shaking his head and looked at both of them.

“Ginny, Harry is asking for you. It seems he feels he owes you an apology for not telling you about Sirius. Which I told him is crazy as he really didn’t have time to tell anyone anything before I called him back to the office.” Kingsley smiled at Ginny.

“Of course it is crazy,” she said as she headed towards the stairs. “I swear if he doesn’t learn everything is not his fault...” She let her voice trail off as she marched up the steps.

“Sirius, I need to get Bill’s account of what happened tonight. I could use your opinion on what happened and how to proceed,” Kingsley said.

“My opinion? I’ve been a bit out of touch lately,” he said ruefully.

“You may have missed some things, but that is just what I need: someone who can look at what has been going on from an outsider’s point of view.”

Sirius felt the weight of the word ‘outsider’ like a lance to his chest. That is just what he was. He looked at Kingsley and nodded. “I can do that as I guess that is what I am...an outsider to this, to life.” Sirius turned and went into the Drawing room.

Sirius went and stood by the fireplace. He barely spared a look at Hermione or Bill. He stood with his back to the room, once again examining the pictures on the mantel.

Hermione looked from Sirius to Kingsley. “Is something wrong?” she asked.

“No,” answered Kingsley. “Ginny went upstairs to Harry. Bill, he told me what happened, but I need to hear your side.” Kingsley walked over and sat down in one of the armchairs facing the sofa where Hermione and Bill sat.

As Bill went through what happened, Sirius walked around the room. Every now and then he would stop and look at something that had changed in his absence. Hermione watched him closely. She couldn’t understand the anger radiating from him.

“Sirius, what do you think?” Kingsley asked when Bill finished his story.

Sirius had walked completely around the room and was once again standing at the fireplace. He turned and looked at Kingsley. “I think what Bill said earlier about this being a set up is probably correct. The question is why? Is he trying to establish the werewolves above wizards? Or, is it purely for revenge?”

Hermione gasped. “Ron and Neville are the ones who stopped him during the final battle. Could he be trying to get back and them and Harry for what happened five years ago?”

“It’s possible,” said Kingsley. “Greyback managed to kill two Aurors when he escaped custody after the battle. He was injured in the fight and could have been just waiting for his chance to seek revenge.” Kingsley stood. “I need to get to the Ministry. Neville is there writing out his report. I also need to contact Ron and get him back here where he can be protected.”

Kingsley looked at Bill. “I don’t know why your presence made Greyback angrier unless it was because you had survived his attack and were there to help Harry and Neville thereby ruining his plans to kill them. I would recommend you are on alert and protect your family.”

Bill nodded and also stood. “I will stop by the Burrow and warn Mum and Dad on my way home.” Seeing Sirius’ look, he continued, “I won’t say anything about you, but once they hear the story, they will be here to check on Harry.” Bill walked over and shook Sirius’ hand. “It really is good to have you back.” He turned and after nodding to Kingsley and smiling reassuringly at Hermione, rushed out the door.

“I will be in touch,” Kingsley said. “Sirius, I would suggest after the Weasleys’ visit, you get to Diagon Alley and get yourself a wand. I think you may need it.” Kingsley turned and rushed out the door.

Sirius turned back to stare at the photographs. Hermione stood and walked over to stand next to him. “Sirius, what’s wrong?” she asked gently as she placed a hand on his arm.

Sirius shrugged away from her hand. He gestured towards the photographs. “This is what is wrong,” he said. “Other than the pictures of Lily and James, I am clueless to the rest.” Sirius turned and began pacing around the room.

“I don’t belong here. Harry is grown and faced more in his life than I ever did. He doesn’t need me. I have no reason to be here,” he said flatly.

“You’re wrong, you know,” came Harry’s voice from the doorway. “I do need you.”

Sirius and Hermione turned towards the doorway. They watched as Harry, Ginny helping him, came into the room. He sat down on the sofa and looked at his godfather. “I may not need you like I did years ago, but I still need you.”

Sirius looked at Harry and sighed. He didn’t know how to explain to him what he was feeling. How did he explain he felt like he was five years out of time? No, he thought ruefully, not five years, more like twenty-three years.

It didn’t matter he had a few years of supposed freedom when Harry was in school, he still felt as if he hadn’t lived, truly lived, since James and Lily died. Sirius went over and sat next to Harry.

“You don’t need me,” Sirius said. “You don’t need a substitute father...not now. Maybe you never did,” he said sadly.

Harry looked at Sirius, shock and anger written on his face. “Is that what you think? That just because I am an adult, I don’t need you?” At Sirius’ nod, Harry stood.

“Here we go,” said Hermione looking at Ginny. Ginny nodded and leaned back on the sofa shaking her head.

“Harry,” Hermione said, “don’t-”

“Stay out of this, Hermione,” Harry said to her. “I don’t understand how you could think that I wouldn’t need you. You think I enjoy not having any family of my own? That I would rather be alone than to have you in my life?” Harry stopped and took a deep breath.

“Do you honestly believe that just because my life isn’t in mortal danger, I don’t need you? That the only reason I could ever need you was to protect me?” He started pacing around the room.

“Let me tell you something,” he said, “I never needed you for that. I faced Voldemort at eleven years old, before I ever knew who you were. I was ready to kill you the first time I saw you. I didn’t need you then for protection and I don’t need you now for it.”

“Exactly my point,” Sirius said. “You don’t need me.” Standing, Sirius looked at Harry defiantly.

Harry walked over to stand in front of Sirius. “I never said I didn’t need you. I said I didn’t need you to protect me, never did, never will. But, I do need you in my life. I may not need a, how did you put it? Oh, yeah, a surrogate father, but I need you. You are family and everyone needs family.” Harry reached out and hugged Sirius. “I love you and I am glad you are back.”

Hermione watched the scene with tears in her eyes. She had no doubt there was more to Sirius’ words than he let out. She had expected there to be some disorientation and feelings of misplacement from Sirius. It just surprised her how quickly they had come out.

As they broke apart, Hermione decided it was time to change the subject. “Harry, what are you doing out of bed?” she asked. “You should be resting.”

Harry smiled at her and glanced back at Ginny. “I think it is time to let the rest of the family know about Sirius. It is time to go to the Burrow.”

“We sent an owl already to Mum asking her to get everyone there. We told her we had something to tell them,” said Ginny.

“They are probably going to think you are going to tell them you are getting married,” said Hermione.

Ginny gasped. “I didn’t think about that. Oh, they probably will,” she said.

“And instead of happy news, they will get me,” said Sirius sadly.

“Sirius! You being back is happy news,” said Hermione. Harry and Ginny both nodded in response to Hermione’s statement.

Sirius didn’t answer right away. “So, how are we going to do this? You can’t just show up with me. I think a bit of warning first would be good.”

“It doesn’t much matter what we say, it is going to be a shock regardless.” Harry smiled. “We are all going to Apparate to the field behind the house. Then Ginny and I will go in and without telling them exactly what is going on, prepare them for a surprise.”

“Harry, maybe you better tell them everything before I get there,” Sirius said.

“How about this, we will play it by ear. I’d rather it be a surprise, but we’ll see how it goes,” Harry said.

There was a tapping on the window and they all turned to look. Harry’s owl was sitting there waiting to be let in. Harry went over and slid the window open. The owl flew in and landed on the back of the sofa by Ginny. He held out his leg to her.

Ginny took the note from the owl and opened it. She read it quickly and groaned. “It’s from Mum,” she said and she began to read:

“Ginny,

Family is all on the way. Everyone will be here when the both of you arrive. It is a good thing I haven’t sent your Aunt Muriel’s tiara back to her yet.

Mum”


“She thinks we are going to tell her we are getting married,” Ginny said.

Harry smiled. “Well, would that be such a bad thing?” he asked. “I mean...us getting married.”

“Harry, are you proposing to me?” asked Ginny.

“Um...well...yeah, I guess I am,” Harry said quietly. He walked over to where Ginny sat. “Ginny, will you marry me?”

“Yes, I will,” she said and she reached up, pulling Harry down next to her. Harry wrapped his arms around her and began kissing her.

Sirius walked over to Hermione and taking her hand nodded his head towards the door. She smiled and nodded back.

They went down to the kitchen knowing it would probably be a little while before they went to the Burrow.
The Burrow by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I wish to thank my beta, Alyssa, (harry4lif).

I do not own anything you recognise in this story. J.K. Rowling owns it all. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.
Hermione and Sirius had barely settled at the kitchen table, each with a cup of tea, when Harry and Ginny came down the stairs. Sirius smiled as a memory of James and Lily holding hands as they walked into the kitchen at Remus’ to announce their engagement.

“We got another owl from Mum,” Ginny began, “she said everyone is there, even Ron and Serena. They are all just waiting for us.”

Hermione stood, but Sirius remained sitting. “Perhaps, I should stay here. Once you tell them, if they want to see me, they can come here,” Sirius said.

Hermione sighed. She knew if someone didn’t stop Sirius’ ‘poor me’ attitude now, it would only get worse. “Absolutely not, you are coming with us now. You have no reason to stay hidden away again. It is time you start living again and going to the Burrow is the first step.” Her tone was so determined, Sirius just looked at her. She could see the surprise in his eyes, and hoped he wouldn’t argue.

“Fine,” he said, “but just remember that I don’t think it is such a good idea to just spring me on them.”

They went back upstairs and opening the door, Harry said to Hermione, “We’ll go first. You should go to the field behind the house then wait by Arthur’s shed. I’ll let you know when to come in.”

Nodding, Hermione watched as Harry and Ginny, still holding hands Disapparated from the front stoop. She took Sirius’s hand and pulled him out the door to follow them.

*****

Harry’s eyes had barely adjusted to the sunlight when he heard the kitchen door open and found himself and Ginny being embraced by Molly.

“Mum,” Ginny said as she pulled away. “Mum, we have some incredible news and it would be better if we told everyone at once.”

“Yes, yes,” said Molly as she took Ginny’s hand and pulled them both towards the house. “I think I know what you are going to tell us, and I am so happy.”

Ginny and Harry looked at each other and shook their heads. They both began chuckling softly knowing Molly was in for a complete shock.

The kitchen of the Burrow was crowded with people. Harry was surprised to see that even Charlie was there. He let go of Ginny’s hand and went over to Ron.

“Sorry to cut your honeymoon short, but I’m glad you are here,” Harry said to him.

“Don’t know why Mum is making such a big deal about this,” Ron said. “It isn’t like we didn’t all know it was coming.”

“Sorry, mate, you couldn’t have possibly known this was coming,” Harry said. He nodded to Bill as Ginny came over to stand beside him.

“I know you all think you know why you are here,” Harry began, “but that reason isn’t the real one.” He took a deep breath. “Something happened a couple days ago at the Ministry and it is...” His voice trailed off.

“Wonderful,” finished Ginny.

At everyone’s questioning look, Harry smiled down at Ginny. “It is a bit complicated but I’ll try to shorten it at first. Kingsley went to Hermione and-”

“Where is Hermione?” asked Ron.

“Outside, she’ll be in in a minute,” answered Ginny. “Give Harry a chance to explain.”

“Anyway, Kingsley told Hermione he had a problem in the Department of Mysteries that she was the best person to handle. It involved a Time Turner.” Harry held up a hand to stop the questions. “It seems during the battle we had with the Death Eaters, one of the Time Turners was knocked into the Veil of Mysteries.” Harry saw a flicker of hope cross Molly’s eyes and his heart broke that he was about to dispel her hope.

“No, before anyone thinks it, no one dead can come back through the Veil. However, someone did come back, someone who wasn’t dead when they went through the Veil.” Harry waited and saw the confusion on everyone’s faces.

“You only go through the Veil when you are dead,” said Ron. “Well, except for...except for...” Ron looked at Harry, his eyes wide as he made the connection from what Harry said to where this was going.

Harry pulled out his wand and cast a Patronus. “It’s time,” he said as he sent the stag out the door.

“There is only one person we know of who fell through the Veil while alive,” Harry said. There were gasps of shock as everyone finally understood. As the kitchen door opened and Hermione came in, every head turned towards her. She was holding her hand behind her and Harry could tell she was pulling Sirius in the house.

No one moved or spoke when Sirius stepped fully into the kitchen. After several moments, Molly walked over to him and drew him into a hug. Harry could see the tears in her eyes and knew it was from both happiness and from disappointment.

This movement brought everyone out of their trance and the kitchen erupted into complete chaos. Everyone had to hug him or shake Sirius’ hand. He was drawn further into the kitchen and questions flew from everyone at once.

It took nearly an hour for explanations to be given and understood. Harry had watched as the hope in Molly’s eyes faded. He noticed while she was happy Sirius was back, the sadness that was always present in her eyes was a bit more noticeable tonight.

Through all the explaining, Hermione never left Sirius’ side. She often reached out and took his hand in hers as he told his story over and over again. She would gently squeeze it and he would return the squeeze before letting her hand go. None of this escaped Ron’s notice. When Hermione excused herself briefly, Ron stood and followed her. He waited at the bottom of the steps for her to come back down.

“Ron, is something wrong?” she asked when she saw him at the bottom of the stairs.

“No, yes, maybe, I really don’t know,” Ron answered.

“Well, that certainly clears things up,” Hermione said smiling.

“What is going on with you and Sirius?” Ron asked quickly.

“Going on? What do you mean? Nothing is going on, Ron. And even if it was, it really is none of your business,” she answered and tried to move past him.

“Hermione,” Ron said as he reached out and grabbed her arm to stop her, “I know it isn’t really any of my business. But, we are still friends, aren’t we?”

Hermione hesitated before answering. She had long ago accepted his relationship with Serena. She had attended his wedding and even served as a bridesmaid. There were just some odd moments where the crack in her heart over Ron opened again.

“Yes, we are friends. Look, Sirius is having a hard time right now. Imagine coming back five years after everyone accepted you were dead. To you, it seems as if no time has passed. I am just trying to help him through all of this.” Hermione gave Ron a small smile. “So, how was France?” she asked.

“We never got there,” said Ron. “I convinced Serena to go and visit Charlie first and we were still there when Mum used the Floo to tell Charlie to come home. We set out immediately using the Floo Network and a couple Port Keys. Mum thought Harry and Ginny were going to announce they are getting married.” Ron shook his head.

Hermione grinned. “Come on, I have to remind them.” She turned and rushed back into the kitchen with Ron following behind. Hermione leaned down between Harry and Ginny and whispered something.

“There are two other things we need to talk about,” said Harry when there was a break in the conversation. “One is the attack on Neville and me and also Bill today. The other...” He looked down at Ginny.

When she nodded to him, he looked at Molly and Arthur before speaking. “I have asked Ginny to marry me and if you have no objections, then I guess we are engaged.”

There was a brief moment of silence and then the kitchen erupted into chaos once again. As everyone crowded around Harry and Ginny, Sirius slipped from the room unnoticed by the others save one: Ron.

Ron saw Sirius going out the door and after whispering to Serena, he quietly followed him. He found him standing leaning on the fence surrounding the garden.

“Sirius,” Ron said, “can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure,” said Sirius. “What’s on your mind?”

“Look, it is really great to have you back, I’m sure Harry is overjoyed, but...”

“But?” Sirius asked warily.

“Hermione,” said Ron simply, “I couldn’t help but notice how close the two of you seem.”

Sirius didn’t answer, he merely nodded his head. He had a feeling he knew where this was going and he was sure Ron’s comments were not going to be any different from his own arguments to himself.

“Look, we broke up a long time ago, but she is still my friend. I know right now she is vulnerable and I don’t want to see her hurt.” Ron looked over at Sirius. Ron could tell Sirius was listening to him, but there seemed to be a look of guilt on his face. “I don’t know what is going on between the two of you, but just don’t hurt her,” Ron added.

“There is nothing you can say that I haven’t already told myself. I know I should stay far away from her but I just can’t,” Sirius said remorsefully. “I don’t know where this is going, but I don’t think I have much choice in letting it go where it will.”

Ron studied the man standing before him. He looked exactly the same as he did five years ago. Ron wanted to argue he was too old for Hermione, but after seeing Tonks and Remus and their love, he just couldn’t justify that argument. Instead, he just nodded.

“It really is good to have you back,” Ron said. He smiled and turned to go back to the house only to see Hermione standing only a few feet behind the two of them.

Hermione didn’t know what to say. One on hand, she was angry with Ron for stepping in and questioning Sirius; what right did he have to do that? On the other hand, she was touched he still cared enough to question him. Instead of saying anything, she just gave him a small smile as he passed.

“Hi,” Hermione said shyly. She had heard what Sirius said about their relationship and wasn’t quite sure how she felt about it.

“Hi,” Sirius said, a huge smile crossing his face. “I had to get out of the house for a little bit, I felt-”

“Like you were out of place and time? It’s okay, though I can’t say I completely understand what you are going through, I do understand how hard this must be for you.” Hermione smiled back at Sirius and reached out to take his hand.

“Yeah, that is how I feel. It is so strange to see Harry grown up enough to get married. Bloody hell, Ron is already married.” Seeing the quick flash of something, possibly pain, cross Hermione’s eyes, Sirius rushed on, “I’m sorry, Hermione. That must be so hard for you.”

“No, I’m okay with it. We are better off as friends. I am happy for him, I really am,” she added after seeing the look of disbelief on his face. “He has his life and I have mine.” She decided in that moment to take a chance and lifted up on her toes to kiss Sirius.

Sirius didn’t hesitate; he bent his head and gave into the urge he had been fighting all day. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace.

“What in the bloody hell is going on?” came the voice of Harry Potter.
Questions without Answers by mudbloodproud
Author's Notes:
I would like to thank my beta: Maple_and_PheonixFeather. Once again, she found all those pesky little things that I missed and made this chapter so much better.

I also wish to thank my faithful readers. My muse is back and is going full steam writing chapters for this story. So updates will be coming. Thank you for sticky with me. I hope you enjoy the new chapters.

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything you recognise belongs to her. I am just thankful to play in her world for a little while.



****************




Hermione broke away from Sirius and turned quickly to face Harry. –Harry-”

–Hermione, don’t,” interrupted Sirius.

–No, Hermione, don’t,” repeated Harry. –I don’t want explanations, or maybe I do. Imagine my surprise when I noticed one of my best friends and my godfather missing from the celebration going on in there,” Harry said sarcastically as he pointed back towards the house. –I thought that maybe... that maybe you were having a hard time with so many people, and Hermione came out here to talk to you. Guess you both came out here for another reason.”

–Harry, no, it isn’t like that,” protested Hermione.

–Oh, care to tell me what it is like?” Harry asked mockingly.

Hermione opened her mouth to answer, but Sirius was quicker. –I did come outside because it was just too much, but…” He stopped and looked down at Hermione. –Ron followed me out, and then as he left, Hermione was there. Harry, I don’t know what is going on here myself any more than you do. That kiss…that kiss just happened,” Sirius finished.

–Hermione?” Harry questioned.

–Harry, I don’t know, either,” she said softly. –It’s just…well” She didn’t seem able to finish her thoughts, so she just shrugged.

–Hermione, Ginny is looking for you, go back in the house. I need to talk to Sirius,” Harry said. He saw she was about to protest. –GO!”

It was shock of Harry raising his voice that had Hermione walking back to the house. She wanted to argue, to try to explain, but since she didn’t have any idea herself what was going on, she decided it was time to talk to another female about this and Ginny was just the right person.

–Harry-”

–Look, Hermione is old enough to make her own decisions, whether I agree with them or not, but I won’t stand by and watch her be hurt,” Harry said, his voice carried a note of anger along with something that sounded to Sirius like a warning.

–Funny, Ron basically told me the same thing,” Sirius said. –I will tell you the same thing I told him, I don’t know what is going on with me and Hermione. I have been arguing with myself since I came back over it. It’s so strange; after all, it wasn’t two weeks ago, you all were teenagers fighting in a battle that should never have touched your lives. And here you all are...grown into adults. Ron’s married, you are engaged and Hermione...Hermione is...”

–Hermione is very vulnerable right now,” Harry said, an edge unmistakable in the tone of his voice. –I don’t want to see her hurt any more than she already has been. Look, I’m not saying you are going to hurt her, but I just don’t think now is the right time for either of you to start anything between you.”

–Shouldn’t that be something we decide between ourselves?” Sirius asked, his tone taking on bit of an edge of anger. –As I said, I don’t know what is going on between us, but, Harry, whatever it is, understand this, it is between us. I know you love her and are concerned for her and her wellbeing and I can promise you this: I have no plans on hurting her. So, in the interest of our relationship, Harry, let me say this as nicely as I can, back off.” With these words hanging in the air, Sirius turned on the spot and Disapparated.

Harry stared at the spot where his godfather disappeared and wondered if he had in fact stepped out of line. No, he decided, It is my right as Hermione’s best friend to look out for her best interests. And I am sure that a romantic relationship with Sirius is in her best interests. Turning, he walked slowly back into the house.

*****

Hermione entered the chaos that was still reining in the kitchen of the Burrow and walked over to Ginny. Leaning down, she whispered in her ear and asked her if she could talk to her upstairs in private. At Ginny’s nod, Hermione walked away and went up to Ginny’s room to wait. She didn’t have long to wait before Ginny joined her.

–So, what’s up?” Ginny asked as she sat down on the bed next to Hermione.

Hermione looked at her best friend and, for an instant, thought about making light of the situation. She realized quickly not only would Ginny see right through that, but it would tick her off and right now she needed a comforting shoulder, not Ginny in a temper.

–It’s Sirius,” Hermione began, –I...he...we...”

–Hermione, come on, I’ve never known you to be at a loss for words before,” Ginny said. –Wait a minute, Harry said you two were alone all night in that room in the Department of Mysteries...Hermione, you didn’t...”

–NO!” Hermione yelped and then clasped her hand over her mouth. Then lowering her head, she said, –But we have kissed, a few times.” She started crying.

Ginny didn’t hesitate; she wrapped her arms around her friend and let her cry. She had a feeling the tears were not only because she’d kissed Sirius, she suspected there was something else going on in Hermione’s mind.

After a few minutes, Ginny slowly pulled away. –Okay, that’s enough of that,” she said in a stern enough voice to have Hermione sniffing back the rest of her tears. –So you kissed Sirius. Big deal. Can’t say I blame you. I remember a few chats we had way back in school when we discussed the very same thing.” Seeing this brought some light into Hermione’s eyes at the memory. Ginny continued, –Now, why the tears? If you tell me it is guilt over kissing someone else that isn’t Ron, I’m going to take my wand out and hex you.”

–Of course it isn’t,” Hermione protested, but the protest didn’t really have much weight behind it. And even to Hermione’s ears, sounded weak. –It can’t be...I’m over Ron, honest. I’m happy for him and Serena. They are so right for each other.”

–Hmmm, who you trying to convince, me, or yourself?” Ginny asked.

–Okay, so maybe a few of the tears were guilt, but don’t hex me,” Hermione said and gave a small smile. –The rest were for a totally different reason. One that is much bigger than your worthless brother.”

–Oh, and what’s that?

–I think I’m falling in love with Sirius,” Hermione said in a small voice.

–You know, first I see the two of you kissing, and now this. You know what? I give up. Just don’t come to me when the two of you realize you both made a horrible mistake.” With those words, Harry turned and stormed down the stairs.

As Hermione made to stand, Ginny shook her head. –Let me go. I think he needs reminding that you are a grown woman who can make up her own mind. Oh, and if he starts about the age difference, I will just throw Remus and Tonks at him and how he fought with Remus over that very issue. That should shut him up very nicely.”

–Ginny, would you mind leaving the Remus and Tonks issue for me to use against him?” Hermione asked. –That is just the thing I need.”

–Not at all, just let me go and calm him down a bit, and then I’ll send him up to talk to you.”

Hermione stood and walked over to the window and looked down on the garden. She saw Harry walking towards the shed and, within a minute, Ginny rushing to catch up with him. She saw Harry shake his head and begin to walk away from her and Ginny pull out her wand.

Would Harry never learn? she wondered. She saw Harry stop and knew that just the threat of being hexed is what stopped him. Feeling guilty over watching them, she went back and sat on the bed to wait for Harry.

She didn’t have long to wait before she heard Harry’s footstep on the stairs. She had to smile at the sound of them; gone were the racing footfalls of the teenage child. These were the confident steps of the man Harry had become. She quickly removed the smile from her face before he entered the room. Neither spoke as he sat on the bed next to her.

–Ginny tells me that I owe you an apology for my outburst,” Harry said.

–And you always do whatever Ginny tells you to do,” Hermione answered sarcastically.

–Well, when she is holding her wand pointing at me, yeah, I do. But in this case...she is right. I’m sorry, Hermione. Not for what I said exactly, but for the way I said it.”

–That’s some apology,” Hermione said. –Not really an apology at all, is it?”

‘I think we need to talk about this. I guess you know I’m not really happy about you and Sirius and any type of romantic relationship between the two of you.”

–You think?” Hermione’s biting tone raised Harry’s eyebrows and made him smile.

–You’re not going to make this easy for me are you?” Harry asked and watched as Hermione shook her head. –Okay, look, you are in a very vulnerable spot right now. Don’t even deny it. You are my best friend, and I know you and how much you hide deep down. I’ve seen you put on the brave ‘I’ll just carry on’ face too many times.

–Sirius, Sirius right now is confused and feeling out of place. He is feeling like he doesn’t belong anywhere, like he isn’t needed or wanted. If you think about it, his life stopped when he was locked up in Azkaban. His life was basically over at twenty-one. Yes, he grew older, but he never had a chance to really grow up. Life continued on without him. So now, here he is and everything he ever knew is gone. Everything! Except for us. And to him, we should still be teenage kids. But we’re not, are we?

–No, we aren’t. That’s something that you need to remember, too. I’m not a teenage kid anymore either. Harry, I’m as much of an adult as you are. I was right there fighting alongside you in the final battle. I saw friends die; I lost just like you did. I stood by your side at each of the memorial services and funerals. I’ve helped to rebuild this world of ours just like you did. Harry, I’m not a child anymore and I haven’t been for a long time.” Hermione reached out and took Harry’s hand in hers.

–I know, Hermione, I know. I just can’t help that I still see that little girl who walked into the Great Hall telling everyone that it was ‘bewitched to look like the night sky’.* I can’t help it. You are more than my best friend, you are the sister I never had. I worry about you.” He reached out and pulled her into his arms and hugged her.

–Harry,” Hermione said when he let her go, –I understand that, but you trust me to know what I am feeling.”

–But Hermione, even you have to admit, there is one hell of an age gap,” Harry said.

Hermione had to give him credit for holding out on using that until all of his other arguments failed and for saying it with a straight face. Now if she could use Ginny’s argument with a straight face as well.

–Harry, I have only two words for that statement,” she began, –Remus and Tonks.” She could see he was trying to form a logical argument to use against that, but everything he was coming up with was falling short.

–Tonks was two years older than you and a fully trained Auror when she married Remus. Sirius is also older than Remus was when he married Tonks,” Harry said.

–First off, two years and a fully trained Auror? Come on, Harry. I think with what we went through with Voldemort, that point is moot. And I think the five years Sirius spent behind the Veil don’t really count in the aging process. So, what else have you got?” she asked sweetly.

After a few minutes of silence, Hermione once again took Harry’s hand in hers. She waited until he looked at her. –You were the one pushing all of Remus’ objections aside as he voiced all the reasons why he shouldn’t be with Tonks. And you were right with each of them. Harry, I understand you are worried, and I love you for it, but please, just let whatever this is be. I don’t know what it is or where it is going, but I’d like to know that you’re okay with me finding out.”

Harry sighed deeply. He understood Hermione’s need for his approval. He knew she would do it anyway, but deep down, she would always feel like she was betraying their friendship by exploring what may be happening between her and Sirius.

–Okay, fine. I won’t lie and tell you I am happy about it, but go ahead. Figure out what’s going on. Just please, take it slow, okay?” Harry pleaded.

–Harry, I promise to take it slow, but I’ll tell you right now, it isn’t going to take seven years this time.”

With that statement, they both burst out laughing. And for the first time, Harry had a feeling that Hermione might finally be over Ron.
End Notes:
*Quote paraphrased from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling.– Chapter Seven.– Page 87.– Bloomsbury Edition
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83141