The Summer of 1914 by MorganRay
Summary:
“We never thought that any of this would change; we never thought of change at all. But we were the last generation of the Old South; that spring in the early fifties was our summer of 1914 . . . Like those other generations who were given to witness the guillotining of a world, we never expected it. And like that of our counterparts, our world seemed most beautiful just before it disappeared.”
~ David Lowe ~


The pressures of school are everywhere. The Third Task is looming. The future beckons. But to Cedric and Cho, the spring of 1995 is the best time to be alive. It is their summer of 1914.

MorganRay of Hufflepuff. Gift of Gab challenge one-shot.
Categories: Gift of Gab Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2264 Read: 1637 Published: 07/06/09 Updated: 07/20/09
Story Notes:
There is some very PG hinting at sexual situations. This fic is all dialogue, so there is nothing graphic. It's a bit romantic, but I toned down the romance to make way for some more serious dialogue about two young people discussing their futures. It's more Dark/Angst than romance.

1. The Summer of 1914 by MorganRay

The Summer of 1914 by MorganRay
Author's Notes:
This story is supposed to be all about dialogue, so there is nothing else. It's split into three scenes, but I think they're fairly obvious to figure out.
The Summer of 1914

“We never thought that any of this would change; we never thought of change at all. But we were the last generation of the Old South; that spring in the early fifties was our summer of 1914 . . . Like those other generations who were given to witness the guillotining of a world, we never expected it. And like that of our counterparts, our world seemed most beautiful just before it disappeared.”
~ David Lowe ~


The calm before the storm; the signs of War written on the wall. But to Cedric and Cho, the spring of 1995 is the best time to be alive. It is their summer of 1914.

MorganRay of Hufflepuff. Gift of Gab challenge one-shot.



“I don’t want to go back to the Common Room. Come on, Ced, isn’t there some place we could go?”

“I suppose so.”

“You ‘suppose so?’ I hope that’s a polite way of saying you know where there’s a good snogging corner.”

“I’ve never been there, mind you. I hear it’s a great place.”

“We’ve been walking a while. Where is this ‘great place?’”

“The fifth floor of the North Tower. I think it might have been a Professor’s suite at one point, but it’s empty now.”

“By empty you mean . . .”

“I mean that I haven’t been there.”

“Who told you about this ‘great place?’ And are we almost there yet? My feet are killing me in these heals.”

“Judith Fogel told me. Apparently, she went there with Flint and . . .”

“Cedric, that’s gross! We’re not going to where Flint and Fogel did . . . whatever they did. I can’t . . .”

“We’re almost there. There are other more . . . popular places that will be, uh . . . occupied tonight.”

“Is this it?”

“Need to open the door. Alohomora!

“I’m surprised it’s so nice. I wouldn’t think Flint would have much taste.”

“I was mostly going for the ‘private’ factor, although I’m glad the silk divan seems to be to your tastes.”

“Quit teasing me. I didn’t come up here to admire the furniture. I hope you can manage a couple buttons and some zippers.”

“You . . .”

“Have I before? No. Sorry if that “ ”

“Cho, don’t worry. I’ll tell you a secret. Neither have I.”

“What? I would have thought . . . ”

“That since I’ve had a couple of girlfriends, I would have slept with someone?”

“Uh . . . yes.”

“Sorry to disappoint.”

“Are you being silly? I don’t think there’s going to be very much disappointment on my part.”

“Ah . . . I did hear the learning curve is very high.”

“You . . . you don’t think people will . . . think I’m a whore, do you?”

“Why would they? I don’t think many people will notice, Cho. I mean, I suppose other people won’t be back in the dorms by dawn.”

“Ced, I’m fifteen. Even for Muggles, that’s a bit young. For you it’s different. For me . . . it looks a bit desperate.”

“What of it?”

“You make ignoring the judgments of the entire school sound easy. I guess being their champion and all, you might have some leeway. But that’s just my humble opinion.”

“And your opinion is the only one that matters. But I’m serious, Cho. Don’t think anything of it. No one’s going to talk bad about you.”

******


“This divan is quite comfy for how small it is. Or is it just me, Ced?”

“I suppose it helps that I’m holding you?”

“Made for one and a half.”

“So . . . the Black Lake in February.”

“I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Were you scared?”

“Was I . . . well, no. I was asleep. Were you scared, Ced? What were you thinking?”

“Do you really want to know? They weren’t very coherent thoughts. It might disappoint you to know I was think ‘Bloody hell, what is going on?’ about, oh . . . the entire time.”

“You did pretty well for getting emotional and panicky. Sorry I was pretty much a sack of potatoes for you to lug to the surface.”

“I’ve never seen a more attractive sack of potatoes.”

“How kind of you. By the way, this little hideout is growing on me.”


*****


“Afternoon. It’s quite a lovely day, Ced, don’t you think?”

“Hmm . . . I thought you were supposed to be inside studying for your O.W.L.s, Cho?”

“I was, but a funny thing happened. I looked out my window and saw you, standing by the edge of the Black Lake on this bright, sunny day. I changed out of my robes and decided to join you, and so be it if I fail my Potions O.W.L.”

“I’m glad you came. I was going to take a walk.”

“Ced, that sounds excellent! It’s a great Tuesday afternoon.”

“I know. The big, puffy clouds, the warm, humid air . . .”

“It’s like summer already.”

“Let’s be off, alright?”

“Where to, Ced?”

“I thought we might head along the edge of the lake for a while. I think there might be a path up into the forest.”

“I think there’s a stream somewhere that empties into the lake. That might be fun.”

“Cho, I like that colour on you, by the way. It reminds me of the fields in the summer.”

“I remind you of grains?”

“No, Cho, that’s not what I meant. I guess it reminds me of how the sun makes the grass look like a sheet of gold in the late summer. You know, when it’s really hot, right before you go back to school.”

“I’ll take the compliment. The colour reminds me of you, honestly, so that’s why I wore it.”

“I’ll take the compliment.”

“Because no one ever praises you. You’re only about to go and win the Triwizard Tournament.”

“Can we not talk about that right now?”

“I-I . . . I’m sorry. I heard you were being a bit dodgy with people.”

“It’s in two days, Cho. Yeah, I suppose I’ve been a bit evasive.”

“Let’s just take a walk. That’s what I came out here for, anyway. How do you feel about walking?”

“Agreeable.”

“That’s good. It’s nice to be under the shade of these trees. And the water lapping against the shore . . . remind me why I hated this lake?”

“Because you were tied to the bottom of it?”

“Ah . . . yeah.”

“It’s not so bad on the surface. Look, I see that stream. It looks like it goes back in there quite a ways, though. Need help?”

“I think I can climb over a couple of rocks, but thanks for the offer.”

“I wonder why no one bothers coming back into these little places. They’re quite charming.”

“If no one else ever comes back here, this gets to be our little place. The forest isn’t very scary during the daylight, is it? It’s all golden water, emerald leaves, and new spring flowers.”

“Hear that? I think we’ve found ourselves a little waterfall.”

“Want to go for a swim?”

“Don’t slip!”

“Come on! There’s a little pool and everything! I don’t think I’m going to be the first one to fall in, either!”

“I think it’s called ‘cheating’ when you push someone, Cho.”

“I think it’s called ‘constructive cheating’ when you jump in afterwards.”

“It’s so quiet.”

“I know.”

“Cho, I’m glad you came out.”

“I’ll be truant more often.”

“That’s not what I meant. I needed to see you.”

“And you don’t think the feeling is mutual? You don’t think I need the only person I feel I can really trust?”

“Well, yes . . . what’s wrong?”

“You’re leaving next year, and I’m here for another two years.”

“And?”

“Ced, really? You’ll go off, join some Quidditch team or get a really nice Ministry job . . . and I’ll be here. At Hogwarts. Alone.”

“I won’t forget about you. Is that really what’s upsetting you?”

“You’re . . . you have so much going for you! How could you want to hang onto a silly schoolgirl?”

“Cho, I love you because you are silly. You’re . . . easy to be around.”

“Ced, ‘silly’ and ‘easy’ are not exactly compliments.”

“You know what I mean. Everyone else is always asking questions, expecting something from me. You’re different. Who else do you suppose I’ve played in a waterfall with? Who else have I gone baking in the kitchens with? And camping out on the Astronomy Tower to watch the stars?”

“We did squeeze a lot in these past months, huh? I think it’s due to the fact that you don’t have to take exams. I’ve just accepted the fact that I’m going to fail my exams. Oh, you’re forgetting all the sneaking off to our favourite silk divan.”

“We haven’t tried the dungeons.”

“I’ll pass on that one, thanks. But Ced, I’m serious. What’s going to happen when you go off and become rich and even more famous?”

“I’ll build a house in Hogsmeade and you can visit on weekends. If that doesn’t make you happy, I’ll teach at Hogwarts for two years.”

“Oh. Sorry, I’m a bit touchy right now. I . . . sometimes I feel like this little girl who gets lost in your shadow.”

“Most of the time, I feel completely floored by your presence. You’re so smart, but so kind. You think more than anyone gives you credit for, and you’ve got enough bravery to rival even the most stout-hearted Gryffindor.”

“That’s the nicest thing I think I’ve ever heard. I don’t see myself that way.”

“And that’s why you are the way you are.”

“I think we might be just the same, Cedric.”

“Hmmm . . . that might be the best thing anyone has ever said about me.”

“Don’t joke. I’m being serious.”

“So am I.”

“Do you think anyone will notice if we skip dinner?”

“Do you care if anyone does?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Cho, thanks for coming out today. I needed to see you.”

“If you’re nervous, don’t feel bad. Anyone would be. I’m talking about it, aren’t I?”

“It’s fine for a moment. I guess I should try to talk about it. And, yes, I am very nervous. They’re going to launch us into a maze. Get set . . . go! Worse than those bloody dragons.”

“I thought the dragons were pretty bad, but I see what you mean. Let’s make out a bit and see if that helps.”

“Perfect remedy.”

“Glad to hear it. I suppose we won’t have time for one more romp on the divan?”

“No . . . I don’t think so. Maybe afterwards? Like after the Black Lake. That was nice.”

“Nice is a bit of an understatement. I’ll hold you to it, though. Let’s go lay on that patch of grass and dry off. What a beautiful afternoon. Perfect, I would say.”

“Superb. I thought of something to solve our little dilemma of you being in school while I’m not, and this solution won’t involve you sleeping with a Professor.”

“I’m all ears.”

“I’ll just come and see you every weekend. Problem solved.”

“If I fail all of my exams, I could just leave school.”

“Hmmm . . . somehow, I would prefer to see you finish, but don’t worry about it. You know I love you, right?”

“I’m not stupid, Ced, although it’s nice to hear you say it. For the record, I love you, too.”

“Good to hear. I was getting worried.”

“Because I haven’t spent the entire afternoon burdening you with all of my worries about how you’re going to leave me because I’m not good enough for you.”

“I don’t know what makes you think those things. Honestly, just stop listening to all of the silly gossip going around the school. I remember when you were flustered about Fleur earlier this year.”

“She is part Veela, Ced. Everyone else is in love with her.”

“I happen to be in love with you. That’s not a problem, is it?”

“It’s the kind of problem I like to have. I’m not trying to bother you with what will happen to me. I can take care of myself, you know.”

“I like being there to take care of you. I’ll always be there when you need me. You know that, right?”

“Yes. I do. You’re a bit too good for me sometimes.”

“I’ll let you in on a secret. I think you’re the stronger one of the two of us.”

“I know you’re the only one alive who would think that I am better than you, Ced. It’s a nice thought.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=83705