Sunday Lunch with The Malfoys by hestiajones
Summary: A one-shot fic where Teddy Lupin goes to The Younger Malfoys to have lunch with them for the first time. A lot of hope for the future hangs on the success of this lunch. Read to find out what happens. ;-)

Nominated for a Quicksilver Quills in the Best Post-Hogwarts Fic category. Thank you Ari!
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6318 Read: 2277 Published: 08/03/09 Updated: 08/12/09
Story Notes:
First of all, I have to thank Hypatia for her story "A Fresh Start". This whole idea of a friendship developing between Teddy and the Malfoys (Draco, wife and son) was inspired by her story.

Secondly, here's the disclaimer we can't do without: ALL CHARACTERS AND THE WORLD THEY LIVE IN ENTIRELY BELONGS TO J.K. ROWLING, my favorite author on the planet. I can only give her a big THANKS for letting our imagination run wild in her universe.

Lastly, THANKS again to my terrific betas DracoGurlForever (Apurva) and Mary_ann for their time and brains. I dedicate this story to you two.

1. Chapter 1: Sunday Lunch with The Malfoys by hestiajones

Chapter 1: Sunday Lunch with The Malfoys by hestiajones
Author's Notes:
Hmmm...Draco was never really my favorite character but for some reason, he is more inspiring than the rest. The thing was, I wanted a happy ending for the man and through this story (and others which are coming up soon), I wanted to show that he did get it.
7: 30 a.m. THE MALFOYS


Sunday Lunch With the Malfoys

7:30 a.m. THE MALFOYS

Draco Malfoy went to his twelve-year-old son’s bedroom. Out of habit, he knocked first before entering although the door would be open as usual.

However, to his surprise, the door was locked from the inside today. Before he had had time to muse about what could have brought about this change, it was opened by his son.

“Morning, Dad!”

“Er…which direction did the sun rise from today? You’re awake!”

Scorpius sniggered. “Come in, Dad.”

Draco allowed his son to call him “Dad.” It was one of his personal ways of revolting against the system he had once adhered to without question. No one from his father’s (or mother’s) side had ever called their parents “Mum” and “Dad” - or even “Ma” and “Pa.” It was always the formal “Mother” and “Father.” His forefathers had believed that formality and decorum set them apart from Mudbloods and blood traitors.

The only exception had been a certain late uncle of his called Sirius Black. Of course, Draco had never known the man himself. Consequently, he had never heard him uttering blasphemous words such as “Dad.” It was his late Aunt Bellatrix who had enlightened him about this anomaly in her trademark spiteful fashion.

Draco entered his son’s room with a smile on his face. This room was another act of rebellion. It was not ostentatiously huge like the one he had had at Malfoy Manor. There was nothing regal about it. It was just an oddly designed, almost semi-circular, medium-sized room with lots of windows. Even the bed and beddings were fairly plain. Astoria always chose light cotton bed sheets for her son. Draco shuddered at the memory of the velvet and silk sheets which he had had to endure as part of growing up at the Manor.

They were quite a couple, he and Astoria (affectionately and secretly called “Ria”). She seemed quite determined to drive the ghost of his past out of their lives and cotton bed sheets were just one of the hundred of ploys she had resorted to. He happily and readily aided her. Even his son helped in the rebellion without really being aware of it. He had done something which Draco had never been allowed to do in his childhood- put up posters in the bedroom. Puddlemere United posters usually adorned Scorpius’ room and- they were not there!

“Scorpius, what happened to the Quidditch posters?”

Surely his son was not harking back to the ways of the old Malfoys?

“Oh! I took them down. I don’t support them anymore.”

Of course, no one really supported the team anymore. They were still doing well, but there were rumors of bribery, corruption, and a nasty hex surrounding the team. Scorpius had refused to believe them at first. Recently, however, one of the players in the team had been exposed as having been bribed to not score well in a few past games.

“So, which team are you into now?” asked Draco in a relieved voice.

“The Chudley Cannons,” replied Scorpius calmly, well aware of Draco’s less than favorable regard for the team.

“Does…er…Miss Weasley support it?” He certainly knew the Weasel King did.

“Nah! Rose isn’t really into Quidditch.”

“Why the Chudley Cannons, though?” asked Draco.

“Dad, they are fourth in the league now, you know. Besides, the current members are really decent.”

Draco was genuinely surprised. “Fourth in the league? Merlin! I didn’t know that.” Then he saw the suspicious look on his son’s face. There were four Muggleborns in the team and he didn’t want Scorpius getting the wrong idea. “Good for them, though,” he added hastily.

“Anyway, I was thinking of asking you when we are going to Diagon Alley. I want to buy their posters.”

Draco sighed. “I don’t know, Scorpius. I have to attend a lot of meetings in the coming weeks.” He was working in the Department of International Magical Co-Operation as a senior member.

Scorpius nodded glumly. “That’s alright, Dad. I reckon I could wait for some time. Maybe we could get them when we go to buy my school things.”

Draco felt a little proud to hear that. Scorpius was not a demanding child.

“But you seemed to have woken up a lot earlier than usual.”

Scorpius did not meet his father’s eyes. “Oh…er…I felt like waking up early today. You know, see the sunrise and all. You’re always going on about how beautiful it is.”

Draco was not fooled. His son was not a great liar and he was clearly excited for an entirely different reason.

“You know, Mr. Lupin said he would come around eleven thirty, not seven in the morning.”

Scorpius grinned sheepishly. “So what do I do until then?”

“Hmmm…for starters, maybe you can go and tell Stella what she should make for lunch.”

“Hasn’t Mum already done that?”

“Mum asked her to boil cabbage. Do you really want your guest to have that?”

Scorpius ran out of the room.

***

Stella was the official Malfoy house-elf. In a lot of ways, she was simply the next in a long line of Malfoy house-elves. But what made her situation special was that she was paid and given two days off each month.

Hermione Weasley’s Elf-Protection Act had introduced a lot of benefits for the elves. However, it had not made her as popular with them as people might have thought she would have been. In fact, only a tenth of the house-elves in the nation actually took advantage of the Act. The remaining nine-tenth resented her for trying to free them and get them paid.

Stella, formerly known as Tinkle, was hired when Astoria had been pregnant with Scorpius. She was one of the rare tenth who asked for payments and leaves. Draco had been flabbergasted when she had nervously produced a document containing those clauses, but Astoria had readily agreed to the terms Stella had set.

Scorpius’ birth had been a very complicated and dangerous one. By some miracle, both Astoria and Scorpius had come out of it safe and sound. But Astoria, it was diagnosed, would never give birth again. Her cherished dream of also having a daughter was dashed.

So, she and Tinkle had added one more clause to the employment contract. Tinkle would be called “Stella” as long as she was employed by the Malfoys.

Scorpius had asked his mother about it one day. “Why ‘Stella’?”

“It means ‘star,’ darling.”

“Okay.” Then, he had asked, “What is it with you people and stars? Why is everyone named after stars and constellations?”

Astoria laughed. “Well, I really don’t know, to be honest. But we have all grown used to it! Anyway, the truth is, “Stella” was a name I thought I would name my daughter-”

She abruptly stopped talking.

Scorpius had looked at her in confusion. “But-but, Mum, you don’t have a daughter!”

Astoria had looked at him, smiling sadly. “You are right, darling. I have you. I don’t need one.” Then, she had pulled him into a hug. “So, I decided to give away the name to Stella - as a gift, you know, because she is so nice.”

***

“Stella! STELLA!”

“Yes, Master Scorpius. Stella is here. Is Master Scorpius wanting breakfast?”

“No. That isn’t it.” Scorpius closed the door of the kitchen. Stella looked at him curiously.

“Mum hasn’t come down as yet, has she?”

“No, Mistress hasn’t.”

“Okay. Quick, tell me what she asked you to make for lunch.”

Stella giggled. “To start off with, Mistress wants Stella to make French onion soup with buttered baguettes. As the main course, Mistress was wanting roast tender chicken breast and mushroom risotto, with a tossed cottage cheese salad on the side. For dessert, Mistress said ice cream and hot chocolate sauce would be lovely. Oh, and Stella almost forgot! Mistress was asking for boiled cabbage.”

Scorpius groaned. “Right! Now, listen to me, Stells. We can’t go offering our guest boiled cabbage. We have to change that part of the menu.”

Stella shook her head resolutely and returned to her work. She was rather devoted to her mistress. “No, Stella is making boiled cabbage. Mistress is asking Stella especially.”

Scorpius groaned again. He knew Stella, as a house-elf under the Elf Protection Act, could disobey certain orders if she saw it fit to do so. “Stella, please! Today is very important for me. Please. We have to impress our guest today.”

Stella shook her head again. Scorpius figured he would have to tell her everything.

“Stells, it’s my cousin. M-my cousin is coming today.”

It worked. She slowly turned around. “But…Master Scorpius is not having any cousin. Stella is not seeing any. And Master Scorpius rarely lies.”

“Well…I didn’t know I had any who would be willing to come and visit me.” He looked both sad and happy. “And he is coming, finally. So, we can’t afford to unleash my mother’s mania for green leaves upon him. What if he decides that we’re weird or something? Who treats their guests to boiled cabbage?”

Stella noticed the desperation in his voice. She considered the matter for a whole minute and finally relented. “Alright! Stella is not making cabbage. But Master Scorpius will talk with Mistress afterwards when Master Scorpius’ cousin is going home.”

“YES!” yelled Scorpius triumphantly. “I will do that.”

“Would Master Scorpius like Stella to make anything in its place?”

“No, it’s okay. Thanks, Stells.” He turned to walk out of the kitchen.

Then he remembered something. “Wait! There is something that you could make for our guest. Albus keeps going on about how much Teddy likes steaks. Could you make one for him?”

Stella nodded.

“Thanks.”

****

7: 30 a.m. TEDDY’S APARTMENT

Teddy woke up unusually early that day.

Sundays were precious to him. He slept till noon, went to have lunch at his grandmother’s, and then spent the evening at the Potters’. At least, that had been the routine until Victoire left Hogwarts. Now, he intended to spend alternate evenings with her.

This Sunday, there was a slight change of plan. He was going to have lunch with the Malfoys instead. He wondered for a moment if he should at least have breakfast with his grandmother. But they had had an unpleasant argument over the issue in the first place, so he decided not to risk it just now.

Sighing heavily, he started to clean his apartment - something he rarely did. He was clumsy and sloppy, and his household spells were worth a “T” grade. However, he needed to keep himself busy so that he wouldn’t think too much of the lunch.

He didn’t want the news of this lunch to get out just yet. Victoire, Rose and Albus had sworn not to divulge this secret to anyone. His own grandmother would not discuss it even if she was called to court. The only other person who knew about it was his godfather. Teddy had felt it a matter of duty and honor to tell Harry. But the main reason why he had told him was because he was sure Harry would understand. He would tell the rest of his extended family after the lunch was done and over with.

He was going to travel by Floo. Draco Malfoy had sent him a letter the day before:

“Mr. Lupin,

I forgot to tell you how to get to our place at the station.

Our house is Unplottable and you can’t Apparate there unless you know the exact address. I hope you don’t mind my secretive nature, but I would rather you came by Floo.

Our house is registered as The Younger Malfoys at the Floo Network.

Please send me a reply as to when you will be arriving at our place.

Draco Malfoy.”


That was it. No “Uncle Draco” business, Teddy thought with a snort. He would be leaving at 11.30. Three more hours to go. He groaned.

***

9: 00 a.m. THE MALFOYS

Scorpius had just finished breakfast. He felt he had to do something to calm his nerves.

He went to their broomstick closet and took out the Firebolt 2.0 which his father had given him on his last birthday. He might as well get some practice, as he was determined to make it to the house team this year.

***

9:30 a.m. TEDDY’S APARTMENT

There!

His apartment looked exceptionally clean. Why, even his bathroom floor had been scrubbed thoroughly. Victoire would be impressed tonight.

CRASH!

He had just knocked into the glass figurine which Victoire’s mom had gotten for him ages ago. He had always considered it too feminine for a gift, but who could complain to Fleur about her taste?

Should he just sweep the pieces off and tell Victoire that it couldn’t be mended? He sighed. He couldn’t lie to her. Taking out his wand, he firmly said, “Reparo!”

Half of the figurine mended. The pieces of the other half lay on the floor morosely.

Yeah, well…I never did like it.

Scourgify!

***

10: 00 a.m. THE MALFOYS

Scorpius alighted from his Firebolt. He was sweating profusely but he felt much better. He supposed he should take a long bath and dress for the day.

“Scorpius?”

It was his mother. She had a cabbage in her basket.

“Mum. What are you doing with that cabbage?” he asked in an innocent voice.

“I was going to make a headdress for you,” Astoria said cheekily. “What do you think? Stella is going to boil the leaves for lunch.”

“Oh…right!” No, she is not. What was with his mother and cabbage, anyway?

“Feeling excited?” his mother asked, grinning.

“Yeah!” he said, grinning back. “Think I’ll take a bath.”

***

Astoria went to the kitchen and put the cabbage on the table. “Stella, here’s the cabbage. Please do not forget to boil it for lunch. I don’t think I will be able to eat the meat. I will just have these with the risotto.”

“The boiled cabbage is for Mistress?” asked Stella expectantly.

“Why, yes! We can’t be feeding boiled cabbage to our guest.”

Stella looked very relieved.

Astoria cocked an eyebrow at her but didn’t get any response. She walked out of the kitchen and ascended the stairs.

She too was quite excited today. Draco was under the impression that welcoming Teddy into their lives would fill up a void for Scorpius. Scorpius would never have a sibling. Nor would there be another cousin; Daphne had firmly told her parents she would never marry.

Astoria, on the other hand, felt that Teddy would do more good for her husband. Draco would not admit it but he needed a friend- someone whom he could get close to and feel comfortable around with, an equal. He had never had a real friend in his life; it was high time he discovered the joy of having one. Now, she just had to wait and see if Teddy fit the job description. She knew he was a lot younger than Draco, but the fact that he had approached them made her feel he was also a lot more mature.

***

11:15 a.m. TEDDY’S APARTMENT

Teddy was ready. He put the elf-made wine bottles in a wicker basket and covered them with a lid. After spending thirty-five Galleons on them, he was not going to let himself break them while traveling. He nervously checked himself on the mirror again - his hair was his favorite mousy brown, his nose was neither longer nor shorter than it should be, his eyebrows were of the same color and length. Okay.

Teddy went to his fireplace, pointed his wand at it and cried, “Incendio!

The fireplace was roaring with fire in an instant. He took some powder from a bowl and threw it into the flames. They immediately turned green.

Teddy took a deep breath, stepped right into the fire and firmly said, “The Younger Malfoys!”

***

11:15 a.m. THE MALFOYS

All three Malfoys were seated on the sofa of their living room. Draco was sipping coffee, while Astoria was sitting quite calmly and looking at her son. Scorpius was staring out the window.

“Hmm…” said Draco aimlessly, in order to fill the silence.

Without warning, a young man stumbled out of the fireplace. Scorpius got up to help him before Draco had even placed his coffee mug on the table.

Teddy got up and brushed the soot off him. “Err…hello!”

Both Draco and Astoria stood up. Draco extended his hand and said, “Hello, Mr Lupin. I hope the Floo journey wasn’t too much of a discomfort.”

Teddy suppressed a snort at the formality and shook his hands with the pale-faced man. “Not at all. I am quite used to Floo. Good morning, Mrs Malfoy.”

Astoria smiled at him. “Just call me Astoria, now that we are family.”

Draco silently thought that was a little too much.

“Hey, Scorpius!” Teddy turned to the shy boy who had just helped him.

“Hi, Mr Lupin.”

“Uh…that’s a little too formal for cousins, don’t you think? Or, do you want me to call you ‘Master Scorpius’?” he asked, grinning.

“Urghh!” replied Scorpius with a grimace. “Not really. Al would never leave me alone.”

“I s’pos not. Here, Astoria. I “ err - got some elf-made wine.” He gave her the basket awkwardly.

Astoria accepted it gracefully. “Thank you very much, Teddy. But you really didn’t have to.”

Teddy smiled. He couldn’t think of what to say next. Draco Malfoy wasn’t saying anything to cover up the lull.

Astoria, realizing this, glared at her husband for a second, and said, “Well, why don’t we all sit down?”

They sat down. Still, Draco didn’t say anything. He seemed to be enjoying Teddy’s obvious discomfort. Then, he noticed that Astoria had pursed her lips and was staring daggers at him. “So, Mr. Lupin. You are working as an Auror.”

“Er…yes. But I am still a trainee. It’s my final year now.”

“Oh! I see. Are you still required to undergo three years’ training? I thought some changes had been made in the Auror selection process by Potter.” The minute he said “Potter”, he instantly felt conscious of himself. This time, Astoria’s narrowed eyebrows had joined her pursed lips and glacial stare.

Teddy decided to ignore the remark. “The changes were made solely for the selection of the trainees. Now, anyone who wants to apply does not necessarily have to have an “O” in every major subject- though, of course, you still need to pass them. We have a separate test for all applicants. That’s the one where you have to impress the selection committee.”

“A test where you assess the grit of the applicant, I assume.”

“That, and presence of mind. Twenty NEWTs won’t get you a seat if you don’t know how to handle pressure.”

“Plus, you have to pass the training,” added Astoria.

“That you have to do, indeed.”

“I find it a better selection process now,” she replied.

Teddy smiled and turned to Draco. “And you are working in the Department of Magical Co-Operation.”

Draco’s old drawl crept into his tone. “Yes. Thankfully, one doesn’t have to pass tests in order to get there. Good grades and a persuasive nature will do.”

Teddy appraised him. “I think you also need to have an impressive personality. You wouldn’t be taken seriously otherwise.”

Draco did not, or rather could not, reply to that remark.

“It was a compliment,” added Teddy leisurely.

Draco regained his composure. “Yes, I- thank you.”

Teddy ignored him and turned to Astoria. “And you are one of the best Healers we have.”

Astoria laughed easily. “Who told you that?”

“Harry,” he said simply. Then he added, “Potter.” Draco’s face remained impassive.

It was true. Recently, an Auror had suffered very serious injuries in a raid. Some unknown plant had stung him badly, causing him to turn purple. The Healers had all been perplexed. However, Astoria had recognized the plant instantly and saved the Auror’s life.

“Well then, please thank him for the compliment, although it is a little too much.”

Stella entered the living room. “An owl just arrived for Master.” Draco excused himself and went out of the room.

“Scorpius, why don’t you show Teddy your room?”

***

Astoria went to the study in search of her husband. He was reading a letter. He looked up as she entered the room.

“I will have to go to Xanadu next month.”

Astoria frowned. The relationship between the floating magical island and the rest of the wizarding world was becoming rather sour. “How long?”

“Two weeks. I won’t be able to take Scorpius to Diagon Alley.”

“That can be arranged. I could go with him. Is it serious?”

“Yes. They are still unwilling to give up on magic carpets after all these years. But I have a feeling there’s something more to this.” He paused, waiting for Astoria to start her lecture. When she did not say anything, he continued, “I am sorry. I just…didn’t know how to behave.”

She smiled at him sympathetically. “That’s alright. But you have to let go of this ‘Potter’ thing.”

Draco pulled her into his arms. “Okay.” He continued with emotion, “You shouldn’t be so forgiving.”

“I love you. I can’t help it.” She winked and kissed him on his lips. “But Harry Potter is Teddy’s godfather and we should respect that.”

Draco sighed and nodded.

“Especially since Teddy is family now,” she added, finality in her voice.

***

“Wow! Nice room. Looks quite airy and open.” Teddy had expected something more like Sirius’ and Regulus’ rooms at Grimmauld Place.

“Yeah,” said Scorpius happily. “Mum designed it.”

“Albus told me you are a Chudley Cannons convert now,” said Teddy, sitting down on the bed.

“Yeah. You?” asked Scorpius, sitting down next to him.

“Since Ron- Rosie’s dad- took me to my first ever Quidditch match. I think the players there are honest and hardworking.”

“They are!” said Scorpius cheerfully.

Teddy thought Scorpius sounded a bit like an adult. “So, you, Al and Rosie are the New Trio of Hogwarts.”

Scorpius wrinkled his nose. “I don’t like that title. People keep calling us that.”

Teddy wondered if Scorpius hated being categorized. “I suppose being known as the member of a cult sounds cliché.”

The boy shook his head. “It isn’t that. There is nothing wrong with being known as member of a particular group. The problem I have with that title is that…we haven’t done anything to deserve it. We are nothing like our predecessors.”

Teddy considered his cousin. He was mature for his age. “You know, James would kill to be a part of a group like that.”

Scorpius’ expression became a little worrisome. “I suppose so. I don’t think he likes the fact that I am a member, not him.”

Teddy was not surprised. James was less mature, although more approachable, than Albus. “Don’t worry about it. It’s just that James idolizes his father a lot. He’ll come around.” When Scorpius didn’t say anything, he continued. “Would you like me to talk to him?”

Scorpius turned to look at him with what Teddy thought was a haughty expression. “There’s no need for that. I already have to keep Rose and Albus from getting into arguments with him. They’re making it into a bigger issue than it deserves to be.”

Teddy was beginning to respect his cousin. “It doesn’t bother you?”

“It does,” replied Scorpius heavily. “But he will have to face the fact that I am not what he expects me to be. If not now, then this year, or the next. I am a best friend of his brother.” He added with a grin, “Al is great.”

Teddy voiced his agreement. Albus was his favorite of the entire Weasley-Potter clan’s kids. Apart from Victoire. No, wait! He didn’t want to include Victoire in any “kids” group- he was dating her, after all.

“So, how come your bedroom isn’t adorned with Cannons posters?”

“I was planning to,” replied Scorpius brightly. “But Dad is a little busy these days. I will get them on the day he takes me to Diagon Alley.”

Before Teddy knew what he was saying, the words tumbled from his lips. “Would you like me to take you there?”

Scorpius looked happily at him. “Blimey! Would you really like to take me there?”

“Err… I dunno how the question boomeranged back to me, but, yeah.”

***

They were sitting down to lunch.

Plates, knives, forks and goblets had been arranged. As soon as they were settled, the food appeared.

The boiled cabbage drew some interesting reactions from the foursome. Draco raised an eyebrow at his son, who was looking aghast. Teddy appeared apprehensive. Astoria, on the other hand, appeared blissful. She seemed to be enjoying the moment. However, she soon clarified the situation. “Teddy, don’t worry about the cabbage. It’s for me.”

The three males’ expressions cleared at once. Scorpius passed the steak to Teddy. “Al told me you like steak.”

Teddy beamed at him. “Thank you.”

“I like Scorpius’ room,” began Teddy easily after a few moments. “It is rather cheery.”

It was Draco who replied. “Astoria had a big argument with the Archiwitch who designed it. The woman thought that it wasn’t natural to have so many windows in one room.”

“How did you convince her, Astoria? Archiwitches are one of the most obstinate creatures in our world.”

“I offered to cure her of her Spattergroit,” said Astoria. “Free of charge.”

“You wouldn’t think a Healer would stoop that low,” replied Draco in mock disgust, “offering her services as a bribe.”

Teddy wondered if Astoria had given Draco a piece of her mind; Draco suddenly appeared cheerfully talkative. Teddy decided to take full advantage of it. “Mr Malfoy, I was wondering if I could take Scorpius to Diagon Alley. He wants to get Chudley Cannons posters.”

Draco stopped looking cheerful. Welcoming a long lost family connection into his home was one thing. But trusting him with his son? Before Astoria could utter a word, he said in a forbidding tone, “Oh no, Mr Lupin! You must be a really busy person, what with your Auror training and…other engagements. I’m sure Scorpius can buy his posters later, with his mother.” He refused to look at his wife.

Meanwhile, Teddy stole a glance at his cousin. He was interested in finding out how Scorpius handled rejections. The boy only looked at his father once. Then, he went straight back to his food without letting the disappointment show on his face. Teddy was impressed. No Weasley or Potter kid “ and there were many of them “ would have taken such a mandate lightly. Except maybe Albus. For a kid his age, Albus had the strange ability to understand that if his parents refused him something categorically, then there must be a good reason behind it.

Astoria, however, wasn’t letting the suggestion go. “I have an idea. Draco has to go abroad for business next month. And I hardly get free time. Maybe you could take Scorpius and help him buy his school things?”

Before Draco could raise an objection, Teddy replied. “That will be great!”

Scorpius nodded and smiled apologetically at his father.

***

Teddy and Scorpius were in the garden at the back. Scorpius was showing him his mother’s plants.

“Your mother has quite a collection.”

Scorpius nodded proudly. “She and Daphne- my aunt- like to plant rare species and invent better potions with them. Daphne has been around the world, you know. At first, she was interested in studying only obscure magic. But then she went to a village near Palermo and discovered, I quote, ‘the spectacularly formidable magic of plants.’ She’s even written a book.”

“I know,” replied Teddy, “The Most Spectacularly Formidable Magical Plants and Herbs. Our trainers have referred to it once or twice.”

“Some folks have been asking the Ministry of Magic Education Committee to consider adding it to Hogwarts’ syllabus. NEWT level.”

“Really? That’s quite an honour, actually.”

“I suppose,” said Scorpius off-handedly. Teddy looked at him. “The thing is, the plants and herbs in her book are quite rare. Mum says ninety-five per cent aren’t even native. So, they reckon the book won’t ever receive the Committee’s approval.”

“Oh! Your aunt must be disappointed.”

“Not at all,” said Scorpius, laughing merrily. “Daphne doesn’t care. She says she didn’t write the book so that it could become a best seller. Her only concern is that the Healers and expert potioneers read it. As long as it’s a hit with them, she doesn’t give a Knut about any Committee’s opinions.”

Teddy nodded. “You seem to admire them, your mum and aunt.”

“I do. I intend to become a Healer,” said Scorpius, matter-of-factly.

“That’s cool!” cried Teddy, in genuine admiration. The job demanded the kind of patience and efficiency which he could never hope to have. “Hey, I bet you must be the best potioneer in school then.”

Scorpius rolled his eyes and burst out laughing.

“Uh…I know I have a terrible sense of humor - people normally won’t laugh at my jokes - but I was not joking.”

“Nah! I suppose you weren’t. It’s just that you lost your bet. Albus is already the best potioneer in class.”

Now, Teddy was really surprised. “But- but…your Mum and Aunt... I mean, you must have grown up stirring a cauldron!”

“Not really,” clarified Scorpius earnestly. “People always think that. But I didn’t grow up like that. My Mum never forced me to take more interest than I had. And even though I had decided to become a Healer at age five, I didn’t spend my childhood with my nose stuck either in a book on plants or down a cauldron.”

Teddy didn’t know what to make of it. Ever since he decided to become an Auror at age two, he had started dueling Harry and Ron with his toy wand. And as soon as he got to Hogwarts, he had promptly begun devouring books on self-defence, counter-charms, and spells.

“I suppose you are serious about your career plans.” He had intended to ask a question, but it didn’t come out that way.

“I am,” said Scorpius simply. “But I’ve still got years of study waiting for me. Everything will happen in its own good time.”

And there was nothing about that tone that indicated the slightest hint of arrogance. Scorpius, Teddy realized, was relaxed, not careless or over-confident. He knew what he wanted but he was not going to miss out on his childhood chasing it. Not when he would have enough time to do it later.

“Hey! Would you like to see our Quidditch pitch?”

***

Draco and Astoria were having a minor argument in their bedroom.

“But Ria!” protested Draco. “He has just come into our life! I can’t let him take our son to a place like Diagon Alley.”

“Which is what, a war zone?” retorted Astoria. “C’mon, Draco. Think of how much courage it must have taken him to approach us-”

“Approach us! His strategy was as good as kidnapping,” snapped Draco.

“All he did was ask that girl to keep Scorpius by her side till he got there. And why do think he wanted to do it privately? Because he thought we wouldn’t like or trust him. Because his own people would certainly not agree with him if he said we would. And yet he tried, Draco. Think of how much it must have cost him to even agree to have lunch at our place! The fact that he came without hesitation shows that he is willing to trust us, to befriend us, in spite of the past. If we can’t repay him with this much, then we would be the most ungrateful people ever known to wizardkind.”

Draco still looked a little unsure so Astoria tried a different tactic. “And don’t forget what this means to Scorpius. He loves you more than anyone else and would give up Teddy if you ask him to. But he needs to have a brother. Someone else to look up to apart from us. Someone who can be more than a friend. Did you see notice happy he is?”

Draco looked pleadingly at his wife, willing her to agree with him.

Astoria went on relentlessly. “If you forbid this trip, you risk losing two things. One, the trust of a man who could be the one thing lacking in our life. Two, your own son’s happiness.”

Draco let out a cry of anguish. “Ria! I just…we don’t know him well enough.”

“But Draco,” replied Astoria smoothly, “we have got plenty of time between today and your trip next month. Plenty of time for the two of you to get to know each other.”

Draco realized what he had just gotten himself into and sank on his bed.

Astoria smiled triumphantly. She had just Stunned two birds with one spell.

***

“Wow!” exclaimed Teddy for the second time that day.

The pitch was huge. Except for the absence of the high-rise benches, everything about it strongly reminded him of the one at Hogwarts.

“Looks terribly similar to Hogwarts pitch, doesn’t it?” asked Scorpius fondly.

“Yeah! Scorpius, all the Weasley-Potter kids will now be clamoring to become your best friend.”

Scorpius shook his head ruefully. “Nah! Quidditch isn’t enough to get rid of old prejudices.”

Teddy decided to change the subject, since Scorpius was unfortunately right. “But I hope you won’t ask me to play. I am terrible at it.”

Now, the boy was grinning. “Nope! Both Al and Rosie keep telling me about it.”

“Those two seem to be talking about me a lot!” cried Teddy indignantly.

“They do it because they like you!” defended Scorpius swiftly.

“I know, I know…” pacified Teddy, smiling. “So, who all comes to play here at this fantastic pitch?”

“It’s just me, Dad and Daphne,” replied Scorpius. He didn’t sound sad, though. Teddy supposed Draco was trying his level best to give his son a normal childhood.

“That must be a peaceful affair,” said Teddy. “At the Weasley-Potter’s, everyone fights about positions and brooms. It usually takes an hour before any game can start.”

Scorpius nodded and replied, “I have heard.”

“I hope I am not boring you,” asked Teddy. What if he was?

“Nah! You are great,” said Scorpius, not blushing.

Teddy was very pleased- pleased enough to make a suggestion which he avoided with the other kids he knew as they got too enthusiastic about it. “Tell you what. Would you like to play ‘Auror and Wizard Baddie’?”

Scorpius looked blankly at him.

“You dunno what it is?” asked Teddy. “Rosie and Al never told you?”

Scorpius shook his head.

Teddy was slightly crestfallen. “It’s a game where…one of us gets to play an Auror and the other one, a wizard baddie,” he finished a little lamely.

Scorpius nodded his head solemnly and said, “You are right. You are an awful joker.” Then, he burst into a fit of laughter.

“Hey!” protested Teddy, “It isn’t that bad. I can’t believe those two didn’t tell you. They play with me all the time. It is true.”

Scorpius laughter finally died. “And…Merlin! And what I said is also true.”

“But it’s a good game!” Teddy couldn’t believe he was actually trying to convince someone; usually, it was the other way round.

“I can see that it would be, especially if the Auror involved has mismatched ears.” Then he collapsed on to a nearby bench, helpless with laughter.

“WHAT?!” Teddy felt his ears. To his horror, he realized that his left ear was unusually round while his right ear, abnormally pointed. “How long have they been like this?”

“Since morning,” Scorpius managed to gasp.

Bloody hell! This must have happened due to his nervousness before coming here.

Without bothering to change the shape of his ears, he joined Scorpius in his laughter.

***

That night, Scorpius went to bed feeling on top of the world. After meeting Rose and Albus, he had started wishing for something he thought he would never have. But that something had barged into his life with mismatched ears.

That night, Teddy told Victoire everything. Victoire noticed the pride in his voice whenever he talked of Scorpius. She was very happy for him.

That night, Astoria lay on her side of the bed. She was satisfied with the turn of events. Very satisfied, indeed. Draco had invited Teddy for a drink next Saturday. She was now absolutely sure that Teddy had all the makings of the friend that Draco needed. He was easy-going, he was great with Scorpius. Most importantly, he was free of the prejudices and hatred that the name “Malfoy” invoked in other people she knew.

That night, Draco lay on his side of the bed. He was not really decided on everything that had to do with this latest development in his eventful life. But things looked as though they were going to get better. And, for now, that was enough.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Please leave behind a few words (appreciative or critical), and make my day! :D
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=84102