The (Other) World by U-No-Poo
Summary: Hermione Granger was a plain, nerdy eleven-year-old girl, anticipating the start of high school and a new beginning to re-invent herself. Little did she know that her 'new beginning' would be something else entirely that she'd never consider in her wildest dreams.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5381 Read: 2045 Published: 04/26/10 Updated: 04/26/10
Story Notes:
Thanks to Sapphire at Dawn and Colores for beta'ing this for me. I couldn't have done it without both of you!

1. The (Other) World by U-No-Poo

The (Other) World by U-No-Poo
Author's Notes:
Here it is!
The children at Winchester North Primary School could feel the excitement in the hot, sticky summer’s air. It was the last day of primary school for the Year Sixes at this school. Everyone was anticipating the start of secondary school, and nobody was that upset about leaving their primary school behind. The teachers threw them a farewell party; however, most of the students would be together next year at Westgate, so it wasn’t a goodbye to each other. In fact, only a handful of the Year Six cohort was not moving on with them. Out of the seven children, five were enrolled at the Catholic school ten minutes away, one was moving to London and the other one was going to boarding school. However, this incredibly bright, intelligent girl didn’t know that yet.

All through the festivities, Hermione Granger had mixed feelings about leaving Winchester North Primary. She was sad - unlike most children her age, she didn’t look forward to the holidays and simply dreaded the long, hot summer one. She also enjoyed going to school every day, but it wasn’t for the social aspect of it. She didn’t have many friends, but this didn’t worry her “ she had her books, and her brain. Hermione didn’t need a lot of friends. At least, that’s what she told herself.

For this reason, she was excited, too. She would be going to a new school, where she’d meet new people. She’d make friends there, and for once, she wouldn’t spend every lunchtime holed up in the library, or reading alone in a quiet corner of the playground.

Hermione felt herself zone out to what the headmaster, Mr. Aldridge, was saying through the farewell speeches. This didn’t happen often “ she was a model student who always listened and co-operated, and got top marks in everything. This was the main reason why teachers simply adored Hermione. However, there was too much to think about today to pay attention.

Later that day, when Hermione was walking home from school for the final time, she was ambushed by four boys in her class.

“Oh look, it’s Little Miss Smartypants,” jeered one of the boys as they caught up to her.

“Go away, Michael,” Hermione replied in the firm voice that her mother had taught her to use in situations such as these. She turned onto her street; the boys followed her.

“Is that what your mummy told you to say, Granger?” said another one.

“Go away,” she repeated.

“No, we’d rather stay and chat to you,” said the third one.

“And I wouldn’t, Daniel,” Hermione said, keeping her head low. Nearly there, she thought -

“Well, how about you stop being such an annoying little “”

“I hope these boys aren’t bothering you, Hermione,” said a new voice. Hermione looked up, startled. Standing before her was her next door neighbour and best friend, Christopher. He’d been sitting on his brick wall outside his home, still in his school uniform, and had jumped down when he’d seen her coming.

Hermione’s classmates cowered “ it wasn’t as outnumbered as before. And picking on a guy wasn’t as much fun. It was a funny sight that Hermione watched; the boys quickly decided that it wasn’t worth it to bully her anymore, and ran back down the street hastily.

“Thanks, Chris,” Hermione greeted him, still laughing.

“No problem “ so, how was your last day?”

“Boring!” she exclaimed.

Chris frowned. “That doesn’t sound like you, Hermione.”

“I know, but I was too excited to care. What’s your day been like?”

“Pretty much the same as yours would have been. Farewell party, farewell speeches.”

Hermione grinned. “I still can’t believe that after the summer we’ll be going to the same school!”

“I know, I’m so excited!” he grinned. “We can catch the bus together, too!”

“Ohmygosh, we can! I didn’t realise we’d be able to -”

“Hermione?” called a familiar voice from over the hedge. It was her mother. “Can you please come inside? Stop jabbering to Chris, you have all summer.”

“See you later!” she smiled, and replied back to her mother, “Coming!”

“Yep,” he grinned back. “As your mother said, we have all summer!”




Ten days later, Hermione was out of things to do. She and Chris had spent the week enjoying the summer holidays. They’d gone to the public pool three times, had gone and watched a movie at the cinema, rode their bikes throughout the park and had even gone rollerblading “ something that Hermione was terrible at. But now Chris was visiting his grandparents’ farm in Scotland for the week, and Hermione was quite bored.

A knock at the door later in the day snapped Hermione out of her trance “ she’d been reading The Secret Garden again for the tenth time. She put down her book (she used a bookmark, of course “ the day that Hermione dog-eared the page would be the day pigs could fly) and went to answer it. Ironically, for Hermione Granger, that day had come.

A large, rosy-faced woman was standing on her porch. She had a very strange assortment of clothes on “ an old-fashioned, brown tunic over a white collared shirt and loafers with no socks on her feet. Hermione hid her confusion though, remembering her manners.

“Hello, may I help you?” she asked the woman politely.

“Yes, is this the Granger residence?”

“Yes.”

She smiled. “Excellent. I presume that you’re Hermione?”

“I am,” she said, wondering why on earth this strange lady knew her name. Maybe she was a friend of Mum and Dad’s, she thought.

“Are your parents at home, Hermione?” she asked.

“No, they should be home shortly-” No sooner had the words formed out of her mouth when her parents’ blue sedan pulled up in the drive. It also occurred to Hermione that this woman had no visible means of transport “ there was no vehicle of hers parked anywhere. However, Hermione knew that it would be rude to comment.

“Who’s this, Hermione?” asked her dad, shutting the car door behind her.

“My name is Pomona Sprout,” said the woman, greeting Hermione’s father with a firm handshake. Greeting Hermione’s mother in the same way, all Hermione could assume was that this woman was a weird-looking stranger with a name to match.

“I’m here to talk to you about something very important regarding your daughter,” she continued. Both of Hermione’s parents gave her weird looks. She shrugged back in response.

“No, your daughter has no idea what this is about, either,” she smiled, catching the glances. “May I come inside?”

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry, certainly,” apologised Mrs. Granger and led the party inside into the sitting room, where they were soon joined by a pot of tea and a tray of biscuits.

“Now, I’m very aware that Hermione is a very gifted child,” began Mrs. Sprout as she was served with her tea.

“Yes,” beamed Hermione’s mother. “She’s always been a bright little girl, getting top marks in everything.”

“I know, but I was referring to her… extra abilities.”

Hermione thought hard. What abilities? Her only talent to speak of was reading, and nobody gave prizes to bookworms. However, as she thought harder, she realised that Mrs. Sprout was talking about something other than the ordinary… something that wasn’t normal at all. Perhaps Mrs. Sprout knew about the weird things that happened around her.

“Gathering by your expression, Hermione, I assume that you understand what I’m talking about,” she nodded, sipping her tea.

“Hermione, I’m a teacher at a boarding school called Hogwarts. I’m here today to offer you a place at our school.”

Hermione was very puzzled. A place at some posh school that she’d never heard of? This was weird. “Is this some sort of joke?” she asked the woman sceptically.

“Of course not, Hermione. This isn’t a joke. This is simply a school for those who are gifted. In a good way, of course.”

“Mrs. Sprout, with all due respect,” said Mr. Granger, confused, “would you please explain what’s going on?”

“I gather that your parents aren’t completely aware about what you can do,” she said, smiling at Hermione. She turned to her parents. “Have you ever noticed with your daughter, at any age, that strange and often mysterious things happen around her? Maybe when she’s angry… or scared, or excited?”

Mrs. Granger looked embarrassed. “If you’re referring the student in Hermione’s class who ended up covered in boils after he’d been teasing Hermione, she had nothing to do with it whatsoever.” Hermione agreed by nodding her head.

“No, I hadn’t heard about that. But that’s the sort of thing I’m talking about.” She took a pause. “Mr. and Mrs. Granger “ Hermione “ what I’m about to say is going to shock you. But you are now about to become a part of one of the world’s biggest secret.” She took a pause.

“Hermione, you’re a witch.”

I’m a what? Hermione thought. How dare that woman call her a witch!

“The things that Hermione can do aren’t flukes, or figments of people’s imagination. It’s magic, pure and simple. And I should know, I’m a witch, too.”

This was some weird, freaky dream. Any moment now and Hermione would wake up. But as she waited, she didn’t awaken. She’d read about witches in fairytales and the sort. They weren’t real, they were make-believe. Mrs. Sprout took out a stick out of her bag, and presented it to Hermione’s parents, who were looking shocked, horrified, confused, upset and annoyed all at the same time.

“This is a wand. This is how witches and wizards perform their magic. We say incantations out loud, and the magic is generated from here.” She took it back from Mrs. Granger’s hands, turned around, cleared her throat and chanted, “Engorgio.”

And before the Granger’s very eyes, the clock on the wall behind Mrs. Sprout grew rapidly, until it covered almost the whole entire wall itself. Seeing the Granger’s bewildered faces, she shrunk it back again to its normal size.

“Wingardium Leviosa,” she said, pointing her wand at the teapot, which levitated five feet in the air and hovered there until Mrs. Sprout brought it down with a flick of her wand. Nobody spoke for several minutes

“So… that’s magic, then?” said Hermione eventually, in a tiny, amazed voice. “And… and I can do it, too?”

“Well, not quite, dear,” said Mrs. Sprout kindly. “You’re only showing the first signs of magic so far. You’re a Muggleborn, and your parents are Muggles, who are people who cannot do magic. But you can. We’re not exactly sure why, but that’s not the point. Many people that you’ll be going to Hogwarts with will have come from wizarding families, but there will be some Muggleborns, too. Anyway, eventually, you will be able to do magic, too. And that’s only the basics!”

Hermione grinned. However, her mother had other ideas.

“So, if Hermione attends this school, she’ll learn to do magic? And what other things will she study?”

“Well, Hogwarts has a very diverse magical curriculum. Children in first to fifth years study the basics of a magical education, from Herbology to Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts to Astronomy. In sixth and seventh years, or forms as you Muggles call it, she’ll get to select the ones she’d like to continue.”

“That sounds dodgy, if you ask me,” said Hermione’s father critically.

“Dad, please!” scolded Hermione, embarrassed for her father’s rudeness.

“No, Hermione, your father has a point. You’ve always wanted to become a doctor, ever since you were little. How are these subjects supposed to get you the qualifications you need?” her mother said, her voice unmistakably filled with pride at her aspirations for her daughter.

“Mr. and Mrs. Granger, I can assure you “ Hermione has the potential to do very great things in the wizarding world,” said Mrs. Sprout, not sounding at all offended at the Granger’s thoughts. “From what I’ve heard about her, she is a very adaptable person who’ll excel in everything she does. The wizarding world has doctors, too, but they call them Healers. She could also go into Magical Law, which is just the wizarding world’s judicial system. Hermione’s talent will not be wasted; in fact, it will be a great asset to the community.”

Hermione’s brain was spinning. “Tell me more about Hogwarts, Mrs. Sprout.”

“Well, Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry is approximately a thousand years old. It is broken up into four houses, named after the four founding wizards and witches…”




Twenty minutes later, Hermione had no doubt in her mind that what Mrs. Sprout was telling her family was true. Hogwarts sounded amazing, and she couldn’t wait to learn all she could about the wizarding world! Hermione knew that Mrs. Sprout was only telling them the basics that they needed to know about, but she knew that if she wanted to keep up with the rest of her class at Hogwarts she’d need to study as much as she could beforehand. She couldn’t wait to go!

“Hermione?” asked her dad after Mrs. Sprout had finished her descriptions, “is this what you really want to do? Go to this Hogwarts place?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Aren’t you going to miss your mother and me?”

Hermione’s face crumpled. She hadn’t thought about the fact that she’d be away from her parents for that long. “Of course I will.” Her dad hugged her, and Hermione allowed a few tears to fall down her face.

“So… what’s the next step, Mrs. Sprout?” asked Mrs. Granger tentatively.

“Well,” began Mrs. Sprout, “you’ll have to go into London to purchase your school uniforms and books and whatnot. Oh, I almost forgot, here’s your Hogwarts letter!” She handed Hermione a yellowish envelope, addressed in emerald green to Miss H Granger, 12 Meadow Drive, Winchester, Hampshire. Hermione took the envelope from her, opened it and read, while Mr. and Mrs. Granger read over her shoulder.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)


Dear Miss Granger,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress


“If this is what you really want, Hermione… then we give you permission to attend Hogwarts,” said her mother, tearing up also.

“Thank you!” cried Hermione, and her mother enveloped her in a hug as well. Mrs. Sprout smiled at the family, and cleared her voice.

“What does it mean, we await your owl?” Hermione’s father asked.

“Oh, don’t mind that. I’ll take care of it. But in the wizarding world, most people communicate through sending messages with owls and the Floo Network.”

“What’s the… never mind.”

“Anyway, I best be off,” said Mrs. Sprout, putting her teacup (which had been stone cold for half an hour) down. I’ve got three other Muggle families to talk to today. However, there is the little issue of Hermione’s school supplies. However, the family I’ve just met with, the Thomases, have that issue as well. How about we arrange a little shopping expedition together, make it easier on everyone? Meet us outside the new book shop on Devon Street in London.” They had walked to the door, and Mrs. Sprout turned to say something to Hermione.

“Don’t worry, dear, if this is a bit too much for you. You’ll soon get used to it. Oh, by the way, at Hogwarts, you are to call me Professor Sprout “ all the teachers are Professors.” With a cheery wave, Mrs. Sprout turned on the spot and disappeared instantly, with a cracking noise. Hermione quickly looked out of the door; nobody had seen her disappear, she was hidden by the hedge.

Her mother had only one word to say. “Wow.”




For the rest of the week, Hermione let her imagination crawl with a million wonderful, weird and wacky things. She’d never felt so un-grownup and immature in her life before, and it scared and pleased her. Now she knew she wasn’t normal by her standards, but where she was going she would be. This was definitely a new beginning, but bigger than Hermione had assumed she would have. She wouldn’t be attending Westgate with Chris…

Chris. How would she explain this to him? But then she remembered Mrs. (Professor) Sprout’s most important rule that she’d told Hermione.

“We must always be kept in secret, Hermione. If the Muggle population knew about the wizarding world, all hell would break loose! You aren’t allowed to tell anyone “ no other members of your family, none of your friends. You must tell them that you’re attending boarding school, and speculate no further. This is the most important rule of all. Do you understand?” Hermione had just nodded.

But still… it was going to be hard saying goodbye.

“Hey, Hermione!” cried Chris as his car pulled up on his drive the next day. Leaving his luggage in the car for his disgruntled parents to deal with, he ran over to where Hermione was “ she was sprawled under her front tree, reading yet another novel, this time Little Women.

“Hi, Chris,” she smiled weakly back, carefully bookmarking her page and setting it down. It was now or never, she realised. She’d have to tell him now. “Listen, there’s something I need to tell you…”

“Yeah, like what?” said Chris, pulling up a patch of grass beside her.

“See… the thing is… well, you know how… anyway…”

“Spit it out!”

“I’m not going to Westgate anymore.”

“You’re not?” replied Chris, his voice sad and confused. He brightened up though. “So, where will it be - one of the private schools then? I guess I knew you’d probably go somewhere fancy “ we need to properly develop that intelligent brain of yours! But we’ll still see each other after school and weekends!” He was babbling now.

“The thing is… I’ve kind of been offered a scholarship… to boarding school.”

“Boarding… school?” His voice was thick with emotion. “I knew you were smart enough for a scholarship but… why do you have to go all the way to boarding school? Can’t you try for another one locally?” He continued. “How long have you known?”

“Just while you’ve been gone. It was a surprise to me as well, but a professor visited my family and offered me a full scholarship, so of course we accepted it.”

Chris smiled weakly. “Of course I’m incredibly sad that I’m not going to be starting high school with you… and that you’re going to boarding school… but this isn’t a complete farewell, we’ll still see each other at half-term and during the summer. And I’m going to miss you, Hermione.”

Hermione felt herself tear up, and made herself not cry. “So will I.”




“Morning, Mr. and Mrs. Granger!” greeted Professor Sprout cheerfully as they met her on Devon Street, London, as per instructed on that particular Monday morning. They were standing outside a new, flashy looking bookshop.

“Oh, good, I’m just waiting for Mr. and Mrs. Thomas and their son to arrive… oh wait, no matter, here they come now!”

The Grangers turned around and saw a man, a woman and a boy about Hermione’s age walking towards them.

“Hello, Mrs. Sprout,” greeted the lady warmly with a soft handshake (“Please, call me Pomona!”), and proceeded to greet Mr. and Mrs. Granger the same way. “I’m Jeanne, and this is my husband, Glen (the man shook all three of the adult’s hands as well) “and this is my son, Dean.” Dean just grinned.

“Well, I’m Jeanne, this is my husband, Richard (pointing to Mr. Granger, who gave a cheery wave) and this is Hermione.” She gave a small smile to the Thomases.

“Good, introductions are over with! Anyway, we have a lot to do today, so we’d better get on with it!” And she proceeded to take them into a world that completely bemused both the Grangers and the Thomases.

Hermione’s memory had no trouble remembering that day. She’d never forget it. First of all, after they’d gone through the brick wall via The Leaky Cauldron, they went to Gringotts Wizard Bank to exchange ‘Muggle’ money for wizard money. She wished she’d had a camera to capture the expression on her mother’s face when she saw that there were goblins that were running the bank.

Next, they went and bought their school uniforms. None of it was familiar. She had to purchase black school robes, a winter cloak, and strangest of all, a witch’s hat. Even Dean, who was obviously a boy, had to buy one, too. Also, she had to buy dragon-hide gloves. She didn’t ask, but Professor Sprout told her why.

“For Herbology, of course, that’s the subject I teach!” she told Dean and Hermione. When she saw their puzzled expression, she added “Study of magical plants.” They nodded as if they understood.

Next was getting their textbooks. Hermione was, of course, fascinated by the books in Flourish and Blott’s. She could have spent hours in there; however, Professor Sprout had only allocated them twenty minutes in that shop. She made the most of her time there.

Next, they had lunch back in the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione had to admit “ wizards did know how to make a good shepherd’s pie. After that, they visited the Apothecary and bought Potions ingredients and a cauldron (Hermione immediately thought of the Muggle fairytale cliché). She also bought writing equipment. It startled and fascinated her when she learnt she’d be writing with quills, ink and parchment.

Last off was purchasing their very own wands. Dean spent ages finding a wand that ‘suited’ him. He eventually settled for a wand made of willow. Then, it was Hermione’s turn “ it didn’t take her all that long to find a wand that seemed to work ‘just right’, as Mr. Ollivander put it.

“Vine, with dragon heartstring , ten inches,” proclaimed Mr. Ollivander as he wrapped up her wand. “Good for Transfiguration.”

Finally, the day had come to a close. The Grangers, the Thomases and Professor Sprout said their goodbyes (“Seeya at Hogwarts, Hermione!” Dean had said to her in farewell) and the Grangers had just exited The Leaky Cauldron and walked over to their car parked a little way down the street, being eyed at by the passers-by for their weirdly shaped, but thankfully wrapped packages.

The holidays passed by in a blur for Hermione. She spent most days reading everything she could about the wizarding world, hoping to be just as informed as the other wizarding children. She’d started crossing off the days until the first of September on her calendar, each day growing more in excitement.

Soon enough, there was only one little blank square to be marked off on the August page. Hermione awoke that morning quite late, at about ten in the morning. She wandered downstairs to find a note from her mother on the kitchen bench.

“Dad and I have gone down to the surgery for a few hours,” it read. “Emergency filling for Mr. Hammond, as well as a few more patients. Be back around two, love Mum.”

Even though Hermione hadn’t quite finished skimming through A Beginner’s Guide to Transfiguration yet, she decided that today would be a book-free day. She knew what she was going to do.

“Hello, Hermione!”greeted Chris’ mum an hour later as Hermione knocked on their door. “I haven’t spoken to you in ages! Chris told me all about your scholarship “ it sounds exciting!” She gushed on. “We’ll miss you though!”

“So will I,” smiled Hermione, and entered through the door and climbed up the stairs in the front hallway.

“So… you’re leaving tomorrow,” said Chris in a monotone as Hermione perched herself on a beanbag in his room.

“Yes… term starts in two days.”

“How are you getting there, anyway?” he wondered.

“Umm… train. At King’s Cross.”

“Cool.”

They sat in silence for a little while. Neither of them knew what to say to the other. Then, Chris got up off his bed. “You know what “ let’s have the best day ever today. Let’s do everything fun. Stay for lunch, and then we’ll go to the pool and then go biking through the park. I don’t want to waste today!”

“Sounds like fun!” agreed Hermione, and that’s just what they did.

Later, when it was getting dark, Hermione knew she’d have to go home. Neither said goodbye; they knew it wasn’t really goodbye.




The next day began very in a blur, too. Hermione opened her eyes at six thirty, and it took all of a millisecond to remember she’d be going to Hogwarts today. She dressed carefully in blue three-quarter trousers (it was too hot for jeans) and a nice white blouse. She wouldn’t wear her uniform yet; the robes would attract some unwanted attention at King’s Cross, and also because Professor Sprout had advised her to wear Muggle clothing.

Her family ate a cheerful last breakfast together of pancakes and eggs “ Hermione’s favourite dish. She sincerely hoped that the Hogwarts kitchen staff would have it there, too. Then it was a scramble to load the car with Hermione’s trunk “ an enormous feat, as her books weighed a ton.

She was just about to say her goodbye to the house when she heard the hedges rustling on her left. Chris was climbing down into her front lawn.

“Couldn’t you have just used the gate?” scolded Hermione.

“Couldn’t help myself, I’ve wanted to try that for ages. Also, I love making an entrance!”

Hermione was suddenly overcome with the unsaid things that she’d felt yesterday. She burst into tears and hugged Chris tightly, who awkwardly patted her shoulder.

“Hey, hey, we’ll see each other during the holidays!” he said.

“Yeah, I know,” sniffed Hermione. “But I’ll miss you just the same!”

“So will I.”

“Come on Hermione, we need to go in a minute!” called her mother from the front seat.

“Don’t forget that you’ll always be my best friend,” she told him, smiling.

“You know you’ll be mine, too!”

“Hermione Jean Granger, do you want to miss your train?” her mother sighed.

“Right… s’pose that this is goodbye for now! You better write to me!” Chris grinned. Hermione didn’t have the heart to tell him that the chances of that were unlikely. He’d probably freak out if an owl tapped on his window carrying mail. However, she could always get her mother to pass on letters.

“Bye!” And Hermione climbed into the back seat with her carry-on rucksack, snapped the door shut and waved back at Chris as the car drove out of the drive. Chris kept on waving until he couldn’t see the Granger’s car anymore.

Hermione watched as her childhood memories flashed away before her. She spotted Michael, Daniel, Johnny and Callum, her ex-classmates, riding their bikes down the street. She wondered briefly what would happen when everyone realised that the nerd had gone mysteriously off to boarding school. She found that she didn’t really care.

As per instructed, she walked straight through the brick wall between Platforms 9 and 10 at King’s Cross Station. It was the most amazing sensation, and her parents followed her with the most incredible look on their faces. It truly was… magical.

Hermione gasped when she saw the Hogwarts Express. It was magnificent-looking train, a very old-fashioned steamer. She soaked up the atmosphere of the children and families on the platform; she would never forget those few moments. Her father helped her load her trunk onto the luggage compartment, like all the other students were doing.

Suddenly, a whistle sounded. Hermione realised that this was goodbye to her parents until Christmas. She teared up for what felt like the millionth time that summer.

“Be a good girl; make us proud, Hermione,” cried her mother as she embraced her daughter in a fierce hug. Her dad joined in, and suddenly Hermione was in the middle of a family hug.

“You’ll be fine, you’re a smart girl. But have fun every step of the way!” her dad grinned. They broke apart, and she picked up her rucksack. Another whistle sounded, and they began closing the doors. She ran onto the train and stuck her head out of the window, and as the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station, Hermione kept waving.




Fourteen Years Later

“Hermione! Muggle mail for you!” yelled Hermione’s husband, Ron as he entered through their front door, carrying an ordinary-looking envelope. Hermione looked up, startled. Who’d be writing to her? She hadn’t had contact with any Muggles besides her parents for years.

“Here you go,” he said as he chucked it to her. She reached over as a reflex to grab it; but felt a nudge from her stomach instead.

“Ouch, the baby just kicked again!” she growled, pretending to be upset. “It’s been doing this non-stop for days now!”

“Not long now,” grinned Ron, patting his wife’s bulging stomach fondly. “So, who’s writing to you?”

“I don’t know.” And she opened the envelope. She gasped when she realised who it was from.

Dear Hermione,

Long time, no speak! It’s been about nine years or something; last time I talked to you was the summer before sixth year. But I saw your mother in the shopping centre the other week, and she gave me this address to write to you.

I was very pleased to hear that you’re happily married with a baby on the way! You always struck me as the sort of person who’d breeze through motherhood just as easily as you did for everything else. I wish you, your husband and your unborn child all the best with the beginning of your family.

Well, here’s what’s been happening with me. After I graduated, I spent eighteen months backpacking around the world with my mate Ian. After that, I began university at Leicester, studying graphic design. I now work for a very successful animation group. I married the love of my life, Jessica, two years ago, and we are blessed with a beautiful son, Jack. He’s almost a year old, he’s the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, I hope that life’s going well for you. Your mother mentioned that you went abroad for university, and you’re now a successful lawyer. Did you go to Australia with your parents, then? Anyway, congratulations, but it’s what I’d expect from you. You were always the smart one.

So, I have to go now. I just wanted to write to tell you all this, and to tell you that I sometimes think of “the good old days” when we were young and carefree. I miss you too, sometimes. I hope we can catch up one of these days!

Give my regards to Ronald,
Chris.


Hermione grinned, and got up to find a pen and a paper to reply.
End Notes:
Hope you liked it! Review, please!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=85920