Second chance: The Dragon and the Lioness by Vginny
Summary: After the end of Voldemort, a new academic year has started at Hogwarts with Harry, Ron and Hermione as NEWT students. Most of the Slytherins have not returned but Draco Malfoy has. His arrogance and self righteousness have gone along with the vanished honor of his family in the wizarding community. He is woken from a dream to face reality with burning desire to regain his lost pride, with no short cuts this time. Will he be given the chance to prove himself? Hermione does not know how much her decision is going to change both their lives forever.
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Book 7 Disregarded, Epilogue? What Epilogue?, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 11535 Read: 12735 Published: 08/05/11 Updated: 11/24/11
Story Notes:
Almost half of the story shows Hermione and Ron together, and Ron is not described as a complete moron. The story is about a developing friendship between Hermione and Draco which then turns something more than just friendship(pardon the cliche'). Draco is a little OOC. I have tried to explain the changes in his character in the story. :) The story is being Betaed by amazing vivalavita. thanks for the help. Story would not be finished-polished without her.:)
Disclaimer: The characters belong to the great J. K. Rowling. :)

1. Chapter 1: After the end by Vginny

2. Chapter 2: Proposal by Vginny

3. Chapter 3: The Decision by Vginny

4. Chapter 4 by Vginny

Chapter 1: After the end by Vginny
Author's Notes:
This is an introductory chapter. Both D and H start noticing each other as something other than enemies...
Draco:

The war had changed him. The war had changed…everything. His stature, his family, his friends, his relations- all changed. It had changed his perception of life. No, it had changed his life. It was like he had awoken from a dream. The name Malfoy no longer came with a general feeling of smugness. He was in reality, a reality that he was ready to face. He knew he had the means, the smarts. He just had to put forth the effort, an effort that had never really been necessary until now. He knew now that he could no longer depend on his name or his family.

His family…The Malfoys. Everyone knew the Malfoys. In years before the war the name was safeguarded, something representing ambition and stature, but It had lost that after the war. Malfoy was no longer just his last name, it was his enemy.

His father was selfish and arrogant, that much hadn’t changed. He at least put forth effort, as little as it may be, into showing remorse for his alliance with the Dark Lord. His mother, though she would never admit it, was shamed. She regretted what her husband had done; what she had done. Draco attributed her change to the near death of her family. That fear had changed her, like the war had changed him.

Against many odds, he had returned for his seventh year at Hogwarts. He was working hard and taking his studies seriously. He tried to tell himself that he wasn’t trying to prove anything to anyone, but he knew it was pointless. He was trying to prove something: himself…his worth…his capabilities of being more than just a Malfoy. He could work for what he wanted, and not just expect to receive it. He had one year; one year to become who he wanted to be.

Potter and his friends had returned, bringing with them the constant reminders of his failure, and of the war. He had wasted last year with the worries of others, but was determined not to waste this one.
It was two months since the start of term and he was yet to decide what he was going to do when he left school. He didn’t know what profession he would like to pursue; he had never needed to think about that before. He was taking the general N.E.W.T. subjects, which consequently were the ones needed to become an Auror. Did he want to be an Auror? Teenage Death Eater turned Auror; the irony was overwhelming. He was without a clue. He considered talking to a professor, surely one of them could help. But only one person came to mind; only one person could have understood his situation… and that man was dead.
-------------------------

Hermione:

Things were perfect. Life was…almost perfect. The deaths of loved ones still hung in the air and not a day passed when someone didn’t mention Fred, Lupin, Tonks, or Mad-Eye. The conversations still halted, silences still ensued, and mournful glances were still passed. But the good outweighed the bad. Her life had finally reached a level of normality, and she finally had Ron. They had gotten together after the fall of Voldemort and had been inseparable since.

Harry was happy too. The boy who had lived, and lived again, was finally happy. He had matured through the years of the war, as would be expected, but it hadn’t killed him; it hadn’t killed his spirit. She was proud of Harry, and rejoiced in the new happiness he had found in his life after the war. He and Ginny were together, again, and inexplicitly happy.

She had Ron, Harry had Ginny. Voldemort was defeated. Things were perfect.

She had returned to Hogwarts for her seventh year and two months had already passed. Although this term ought to have called for an immense amount of studying, the inhabitants Hogwarts found it hard to take their work seriously. Even Hermione, who made it a habit to study in excessive amounts, found herself lagging behind. She stressed over it in the comforts of her dormitory, but found it quite easy to forget about her studies when she was spending time with Ron, Harry, and Ginny.

Still, true to herself, she spent a good amount of time hidden between the book shelves of the library. While her peers’ marks seemed to steadily lower, she pushed through her almost doubled work load, and managed to keep her grades in good standing.

The only other seventh year that seemed to be putting forth the same amount of effort came as a surprise to many. Malfoy, who had notably changed over the past year, occupied the library almost as often as Hermione these days.

It had taken her awhile to get used to Malfoy as a hard worker, let alone a library companion. Ron was never “in the mood to study” and with the extra Quidditch practices that he and Harry had to attend, she couldn’t very well drag him along unwillingly, leaving Hermione alone on study nights. Well, almost alone.

-----------------------
On a particular Thursday evening in the library, with her collection of books spread out in front of her, Hermione found herself in the company of Malfoy yet again. He’s changed, she mused to herself.

Indeed, since his return to Hogwarts, Malfoy had become a recluse. He kept to himself and only spoke in class to answer questions. He no longer sneered when he walked through the halls or provoked others into starting arguments. He had even turned a deaf ear to Ron’s comments about his family for nearly a month before Ron got bored and ceased.

Hermione marked her place in her book and cocked her head to the side, taking in Malfoy’s state. He was sitting by himself in the far corner of the library surrounded by piles of books. His eyes were fixed in deep concentration, something that intrigued her. Perhaps she felt that, in some standoffish way, he was competing with her. She had been slightly annoyed the other day when Malfoy’s Veritaserum had been almost perfect, and he had raised his hand to answer every question Professor Slughorn had asked.

She continued to stare at him, noticing that even in deep concentration he looked worn. His eyes were shadowed with dark circles, and he seemed thinner. Perhaps the heavy workload and Quidditch practices had finally taken their toll... Why am I concerning myself with Malfoy? She shook her head of her thoughts and re-opened her book, finding her place among the pages.

Some half hour later, the silence was broken by the fervent whispering of her name.

“Granger?”

Hermione looked up from her book to find the source of the voice. Nobody else was present in the library except for Malfoy, still in his corner, now staring at her intently. She held his stare until he spoke out again.

“Er, can I ask you a question about our Transfiguration assignment?”

She continued to stare at him in disbelief. Not only had he spoken to her, he had not sneered, jested, or used any form of condescending sarcasm. He continued to stare at her expectedly and raised his eyebrows when several moments of silence passed between them. She gathered herself and straightened in her chair.

“Uh…sure,” she said, trying to keep her tone casual.

Malfoy lifted himself from his chair and moved quickly over to the table Hermione occupied, situating himself in the seat next to her.

“Right. So I was wondering, what are the exact mechanics for Animagi transformations? I’ve searched the entire book but the only thing I can find is this one measly sentence.” He edged closer and pointed to the set of words.

Hermione cleared her throat and leaned in to look at the page.

“See? Here. The molecular structure of the DNA shifts to accommodate magic, and shifts back to its original structure upon re-transformation into the human form” He smacked the page in frustration.

“What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean? DNA and molecular structure? What are those?”

Hermione glanced sideways at Malfoy and suppressed the need to laugh. She took a deep breath and spoke in what she hoped was a patient and polite tone.

”Molecules and DNA are Muggle concepts, Malfoy. A molecule is the smallest physical unit of any element or compound. DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid and is the main component of chromosomes, which is the material that transfers genetic characteristics of life forms, such as us. “

Malfoy looked from Hermione to the book, trying to make sense of whatever jumble of words had just come out of her mouth. “Any way you can repeat that? In English this time, maybe?”

Hermione rolled her eyes tried to recall what she had learnt from her parents, they could not bear their only daughter knowing so little about muggle sciences, especially Biology. Twenty minutes later, with many confused looks and exasperated sighs passed between them, Malfoy seemed to have finally grasped the concept.

“Well, er… thanks for the help Granger.” The corners of his mouth lifted slightly in what might have been called a smile.

She nodded at him and smiled uneasily. “You’re welcome Malfoy.”

Taking this as a sign of conclusion, he gathered his things from the table and retreated back into his corner. He distractedly thought about the exchange that took place. Granger’s not the insufferable twit I always thought she was. Well…not as insufferable. Probably would’ve taken me days to figure that out on my own. Ha! Look at me, worrying about not figuring something out. Add some bushy hair and I’m on my way to being a male version of Granger. Next thing you know we’ll be chatting everyday.

--------------------------

Hermione found herself in the library again the following night. She had finished all of her required homework, which had taken her the majority of the night, and was working on some extra side work to increase her marks. While flipping through the pages of Advanced Charms she glanced down at her watch and cursed to herself; she was going to be late for dinner. She closed her book and stuffed it into her bag along with several other books, quills, and spare pieces of parchment. Her bag looked like it might spring free of it’s stitching at any moment so she gathered the rest of her belongings into her arms and made her way out of the library.

She descended the marble staircase into the Entrance hall hastily and had started to make her way towards the Great hall before her bag made a retched tearing sound.

“Shoot,” she cursed out loud. She fumbled with the books in her arms and bent down to pick up the objects that were now scattered at her feet. Deciding to repair her bag before she attempted to juggle any more books, she slipped her wand out of her back pocket and picked up the mess of cloth. Distracted by her work, Hermione failed to notice a set of hands beside her, now fixing her things into neat piles. Mid-spell, she turned to face her helper to offer them her gratitude.

Malfoy looked at Hermione, his mouth set somewhere between a smile and a smirk. He smelled of sweat and rain; dressed in his Quidditch robes and hair slightly ruffled, clearly having just left the field. Hermione stared at him, lips slightly parted, forgetting she had just been set to cast a spell. Malfoy looked…handsome?

What a ridiculous thought, Hermione. She shook her head and quickly repaired her bag. She gathered her belongings into her arms and nodded curtly in Malfoy’s direction.

”Er, thanks.”

Malfoy bent down to pick up the broom he had set at his feet. “Not a problem,” he stated simply, and made his way past her and into the Great hall.

Hermione stood rooted in her spot and watched him take a seat at his table. Odd, she thought to herself as she spotted Ron, Harry, and Ginny and made her towards them. She set her books down on the table next to Ron, pecked him on the cheek, and took a seat.

“Planning to read all the books in the library before leaving school, Hermione?” he asked teasingly.

She smacked him lightly on the arm but didn’t offer an answer. Instead she helped herself to some shepherd’s pie and pumpkin juice, settling into a light conversation with Ginny about the gloomy weather. Hermione half-heartedly committed to the conversation, offering minimal effort into her responses, and searched across the hall for Malfoy who was seated next to Zabini two tables away. He looked uninterested in his food, pushing it around on his plate, and seemed unaware that Zabini was trying to make conversation with him. His gaze was distant, showing something more than mere disinterest. Was it pain?

Draco looked up, sensing that that someone was staring at him, and locked eyes with Hermione, whose face was set in a slight frown. He laughed to himself when she realized he had caught her staring and had taken up staring at her plate of food instead, a mild blush colouring her cheeks.

Hermione stared determinately at her plate. She could feel her cheeks flush and she dared a glance at her friends to see if they had noticed. Luckily, Ron was busy piling more food onto his plate and Harry was in a heated discussion with Ginny about the upcoming trip to Hogsmead. She placed her fork on her plate and turned to face Ron.

“It would be nice to go to that cave again. The one we visited when Sirius was in hiding,” She offered to the group. She didn’t really care for the outdoors, or hiking for that matter, but she wanted to do more than visit Zonko’s and drink Butterbeer. Harry and Ginny mumbled something about other plans and Ron shrugged indifferently. She could feel Malfoy’s curious stare, though she didn’t dare to look in his direction again. He probably thought she was a nutter with the way she was always staring at him.

Draco dropped his gaze from Hermione and her friends and nodded in answer to whatever Zabini had just said to him. He would rather have been alone right now. He looked at his dinner; the appetite he worked up from practice was completely gone. He lifted himself from the table abruptly, grabbed his broom, and made his way out of the hall, dodging Zabini’s questions about his destination. Deciding that the Slytherin dungeons were too predictable of a hideaway, Draco set out for a more suitable place of solitude.
End Notes:
I think Hermione learned a bit of science from her parents. They are dentists after-all so she would know more about Human biology. Let me know whatever you think of the chapter... :)
Chapter 2: Proposal by Vginny
Author's Notes:
Draco asks Hermione to give him the chance to prove his worth... Again many thanks to my amazing beta vivalavita. :)
Disclaimer: The characters belong to the amazing J.K.Rowling.
The Gryffindors found themselves dragging on the morning of the Hogsmead trip. After quickly gathering their things and shoving down a quick breakfast, they joined the line of students waiting to make their way to the village. Very few older students were to be seen, no doubt sleeping in or throwing themselves into mountains of schoolwork. Apart from a small group of Hufflepuff 6th years, and a 7th year couple from Ravenclaw, the majority of the students utilizing the weekend trip were the third and fourth years, eager to explore village still fresh in their eyes.

Ron and Hermione bid goodbye to Harry and Ginny shortly after arriving in the village. Hand in hand, they started their trek to the hill on the Northwest edge of the village. The path was familiar to them; having visited it numerous times in their fourth year, yet the climb was still tiring. Ron graciously offered his hand to Hermione whenever a particularly tricky ledge fell in their path, and lifted her gently to the top when they reached their destination. He snaked his arm around her while she took in the view. For the first time in days the sun had broken free of the clouds, engulfing the couple with its bright warmth.

Settling against the far wall in the cave, Hermione rested her head on Ron’s shoulder, and pulled herself in closer. “That was great. Good we came,” she sighed. She closed her eyes lightly and relaxed, enjoying the light breeze that had made its way into the cave.

“Yeah, it’s nice to finally be alone. No people, no bloody books…” Ron peered down upon Hermione and smiled teasingly.

”Only eight more months of that you know? The books, I mean,” Hermione said, her lips twitching slightly.

“Yeah, but then we’ll have separate courses and training to go about with, won’t we?”

“I suppose that’s true,” Hermione replied lazily, her eyes still closed. “But we’ll no longer be in school, and I assume we’ll be living on our own. That should leave plenty of time for us to spend together.”

“Er, Hermione? We could always live together,” He approached the subject tentatively, not wanting to spoil their disposition.

“Oh! Uh, that’s sweet of you Ron. But Ginny and I have already arranged to live together after school.” Hermione shifted in her spot against the wall and looked up at Ron’s face.

He didn’t seem put out, but for safe measure she added, “But you can visit any time, you know.”

Hermione leaned in closer and offered him a tender kiss. It’s started slow, sweet but lasting, and she revered in its pleasantness. Kissing Ron was comfortable, but not altogether extraordinary, nothing to further ignite the fondness she felt for him. She pulled away, breathing heavier than normal, and settled her head in the crook of his neck. Ron’s arms, which had tightened their hold during their kiss, now settled comfortable around her middle.

The silence of their cherished resort was broken by a fumbling outside of the cave, soon accompanied by the shadow of a figure. Hermione lifted herself from the ground and stepped closer to the entrance to get a better view of the newcomer. An arm reached out and pulled her back as Ron moved to stand in front of her, wand in hand. “Who’s there?”

“Ah, Weasley and Granger,” stated a smooth voice plainly.

“Malfoy? What are you doing up here?” Ron said heavily.

He made his way to the front of the cave and was momentarily blinded by the day’s sun. He raised his wand a few inches higher and squinted towards the blonde headed boy.

Draco had not moved from his position at the mouth of the cave, and had decidedly not drawn his wand. Instead he stood there in his school attire looking tired and uncharacteristically disheveled, his mouth set in a slight sneer.

“Why are you lurking about out here? Trying to find a new hiding spot for your Death Eater meetings?” Ron spat, clearly agitated at Draco’s lack of response to his previous inquiries. “I would think you’d find that a little hard seeing as how they’re all dead or locked up in Azkaban.”

Draco’s eyes flashed dangerously and he took a step towards Ron.

“No doubt giving you the courage to throw insults at me Weasley.”

“Well deserved insults, Malfoy. You deserve more than that really, you and your family. The lot of you should be in Azkaban with the rest of your friends” Ron spoke in a dangerously low voice, his face steadily becoming a darker shade of red.

Hermione fidgeted uncomfortably at his side, her eyes traveling from Malfoy’s face to Ron’s.

“Ron,” she spoke gently, placing her hand lightly on his raised wand arm.

“Well it’s a good thing you don’t get to decide that, Weasley.” Draco said, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Hermione raised her eyes to meet Draco’s, her hand still placed on Ron’s arm. In that instant she saw the same flicker of emotion she had witnessed in the Great hall; the look of suffering and shame. Draco’s body seemed to have lost all tension in his defeat; however he was quickly recomposing himself. His eyes released their hold on Hermione’s, his face quickly set in a scowl, no doubt forming the words of retaliation.

Hermione took advantage of Draco’s betrayal of emotions to grasp Ron’s arm firmly and pull him away from the entrance of the cave. Once they were comfortable distance from the cave, she let go of Ron’s arm and rounded on him angrily.

“Why do you have to start a row with him every time you see him?”

“Me? I wasn’t the one sulking around up there was I?” Ron asked. “It’s not my fault he’s a slimy git.”

”Ron,” Hermione said warningly.

“Why are you defending him Hermione?” Ron demanded.

Hermione blinked slowly several times before she answered Ron, her vice barely audible. “I think he’s changed. He’s…different. Haven’t you seen the way he let’s you defeat him whenever you argue?”

”He didn’t exactly back down this time Hermione.”

Hermione’s breathed in steadily, rationalizing her thoughts and willing her voice to be calm. “It looked more like self defense from my perspective. He didn’t say anything against you, did he? Why couldn’t you just have dropped it, and walked away? Maybe he really is trying to become a good person, Ron. Did you ever consider that?”

Ron stared at Hermione in disbelief. “A good person…? Do you recall who his father is? Do you remember the people he was loyal to just a few months ago, Hermione? Do you really think someone like him can suddenly become a good person over night? I lost a brother because of them. They killed him, and he is never going to come back! I can’t forget that Hermione. Every time I see Malfoy I’m reminded of the war, of Fred. How can I let that go?”

Ron’s voice had become very uneven and his eyes dared to gather moisture. He turned his back to Hermione and dared determinately at the ground, regretting his outburst of emotion.

Hermione bit her lip and stared at the back of Ron’s head. He can be so thick sometimes, especially when it comes to Malfoy, she mused to herself. True, she disliked the nature of Ron’s insults directed towards Malfoy, but she had heard the pain in his voice at the mention of Fred. How could she stay angry at him when he needed her comfort?

”I know how you feel Ron,” she said softly, stepping around him and wrapping her arms around his middle. “I miss him too. I miss all of them, everyday. But fighting with Malfoy isn’t going to change things; it’s only going to worsen your pain. Don’t let the anger control you Ron.” She could feel him breath in, no doubt readying a slew of protests. “I’m not saying you have to forgive him, Ron. But you can at least try to make an effort to not let his presence affect you in such a negative way.”

She pulled away from him, keeping his hands in hers. He seemed to have calmed down considerably, though his face was still flushed.

”I supposed you’re right,” he sighed. “As always.”
Hermione laughed lightly before pecking Ron quickly on the cheek and leading him back into the village.


---------------------------------


The week after the Hogsmead trip passed with little trouble but a continuous supply of monotonous schoolwork. Hermione found herself alone in the common room on Sunday, her usual company at Quidditch practice. She lounged lazily in the warmth of the fire petting Crookshanks, who had perched himself on the arm of her chair.

Deciding her time would be better spent catching up on her schoolwork than waiting around for her friends, she gathered her books from the table in front of her, placed them in her bag, and set of in the direction of the library.

Rounding the corner into library and breathing in the smell of parchment, Hermione headed to her favorite table to study, placed herself in a seat at the end of the table and unloaded the contents of her bag. The library was unusually empty for a Sunday; a day when the book filled room would typically be filled with students finishing their assignments in the last few hours of the weekend.

Hermione noticed that aside from a few stray first years, who looked as if they’re trying to find a way into the Restricted Section, her only companion was Malfoy, perched in his usual corner, eyes watching her intently. She lowered her gaze immediately, suddenly becoming very interested in the patterned grain of the table.

She hadn’t spoken with Malfoy since their meeting at the cave. She had stayed clear of the library for a few days after the incident, hoping to avoid any awkward confrontation that might ensue. Ron’s attitude towards Malfoy had, for a lack of a better word, improved but mostly due to Hermione, and on occasion Harry or Ginny, constantly shoving him past Malfoy every time they passed in a corridor.

Hermione lifted her head slightly to see if Malfoy was still looking in her direction, only to find his seat vacant.

“Granger, can I talk to you?”

Hermione jumped in her seat and turned to find Malfoy standing behind her, looking slight bemused.

“Merlin, Malfoy! You almost scared me half to death,” she said, placing her hand over her heart.

”Sorry,” he stated plainly, taking a seat next to Hermione.

“Er, can this wait? I really should catch up on my studies, seeing as how it’s Sunday.”

“I assure you, this is much more interesting than typical school studies, Granger.”

“Is that so?” Hermione questioned, eyeing him suspiciously, her heart rate slowly returning to normal.

“Yes,” Draco began. “You know that we have to submit a project at the end of the year, on a subject of our choosing?”

“Of course, it’s required for our N.E.W.T.S assessment. We’re scheduled to start them after the Christmas holidays, aren’t we?”

“Generally speaking, we don’t have a specific timeline, but yes, that’s typically when we would start them. However the topic I am really interested in will be quite a challenge and I’ll need to start it as soon as possible.”

“Malfoy, why are you telling me this?” Hermione asked, clearly annoyed with the situation.

Draco lowered his eyes and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “Well, I was thinking that perhaps you’d like to work together. On the project, I mean.”

Hermione eyes widened in a brief of moment of shock; had she heard him correctly? “I’m sorry. You want me to be your partner for the project?”

“Well the topic is Animagi, you see? And who would be more suited for the project than you? You’re the best at transfiguration in our year. Not to mention, we get to bypass some restrictions and gain special allowances for studying the topic. I’ve talked it all over with Professor McGonagall. She’s willing to help us, which is a great point of reference since she herself is an Animagus.” The words came out of Draco’s mouth in quick jumble. He breathed outward, clearly having held his breathe for the entirety of the speech, and stared at Hermione expectantly.

There was a long pause. Draco watched Hermione face as she processed the request, his mind racing with doubt. What was I thinking, asking Granger to be my partner? She’ll never agree to it.

Draco felt a bout of self loathing rise inside him. He had spent several days researching every aspect of this project, and several more preparing to involve Hermione. Had he honestly expected her to just up and agree to his plan?

Hermione stayed silent, absorbed in her own thoughts. There were a lot of variables to consider, and she needed time to think this through properly.

“Malfoy, this is a big dedication. I need some time to think about it.”

Draco’s face flooded with relief. She was at least giving it some thought; that’s all he could ask for at this point. “Yes, of course. You know where to find me when you’ve made up your mind.”

Hermione watched as he lifted himself up from the seat at her table and made his way back into his corner. She looked down upon the book in front of her, but her mind was in another place, refusing to let her absorb anything from its pages. Sighing in defeat, she closed the book and placed into back into her bag, deciding that the library was no longer conducive for a good night of study.

---------


After entering through the portrait hole Hermione dropped her bag off into a chair and went to stand by the window. She gazed down and the Quidditch pitch, just barely visible from the high tower. Her brow furrowed and her mind busied itself with thoughts.

Was Malfoy’s offer worth considering? True, her best subject was Transfiguration, and she had thought about doing her project on something in the field…but with Malfoy? Did she even like Malfoy? Or rather, did she like him enough to be able to work with him? Ron would never stand for it, and she doubted Harry or Ginny would be particularly thrilled.

On the other hand, if it was going to benefit her in the future, and possibly in her career, the why shouldn’t she do it? Certainly she could bear Malfoy for a few months. And with some persuading, Ron could be all right with it, right? She needed someone to help her with this decision, a third party whose feelings would not betray the logic of the choice. She decided to talk with the Headmistress right away.
End Notes:
This is the initial important part of the plot of the story... Hope you like it.. let me know...:)
Chapter 3: The Decision by Vginny
Author's Notes:
They work on the project by their own choice. Not forced by someone. The second chance is given to the ex Death Eater.
Many thanks to my truly helpful beta vivalavita. would not have been able to do this without her.
As Hermione had anticipated, Professor McGonagall was in her office shuffling through stacks of parchment when she arrived. She took a seat opposite the Headmistress and waited politely for her to finish her work, her mind racing to find a suitable way to express her doubts.

A few minutes later, or what seemed like an eternity inside the mind of Hermione Granger, Professor McGonagall placed the parchment she’d been reading down in front of her and lifted her head to acknowledge Hermione.

“My apologies for the delay Miss Granger. Tell me, is there a problem?” inquired the Headmistress, pushing her spectacles further up onto her nose.

“No, there’s no problem Professor. I just wante- well, I wanted to ask you something about the projects that we’re required to submit at the end of this year,” she paused, waiting for response, but continued speaking after a moments silence. “You see, Draco Malfoy has asked me to be his partner for the project. He told me that he’s already discussed his topic with you.”

“Yes. Mr. Malfoy and I have had a few rather lengthy discussions about his project,” Professor McGonagall stated simply.

“Well, he asked me to pair with him.”

”Yes, Miss Granger, you’ve already told me that.”

”He seems to think I’d be well suited for the project,” said Hermione.

“I quite agree that you have excelled in the field of Transfiguration. I fail to see the problem here Miss Granger,” grated the Headmistress rather impatiently.

“Er, well I’m not entirely convinced I am suited for this particular project, Professor.” Hermione replied sheepishly.

The Headmistress’ eyes narrowed slightly as she studied Hermione.

”Miss Granger, I find it hard to be believe that you fail to see your suitability with this project. I think it much more likely that you are finding it hard to see your suitability with Mr. Malfoy,” said Professor McGonagall, her voice still alive with a tone of impatience.

“You’re right Professor. I’m not entirely sure I’ll be comfortable working with him. He and his father were well known followers of Voldemort. My past experiences with him have only highlighted his cruelness, although as of late he’s been…different. And there’s a lot of- well there’s just so much history I’d have to work through…”Hermione trailed off; her voice had grown too small to continue.

Professor McGonagall gave her a stern look over her glasses and let out a slow breath. “If the war has taught us one thing Miss Granger, it’s that now is the time to unite. New friendships must overcome old prejudices. These words stand true not only outside these walls, Hermione, but inside as well. I believe the time has come for all the houses to unite. If we do not welcome the Slytherins with open arms, not only are we treating them with the same hostility and unkindness they once bestowed upon us, but it would surely not be long before we witness the rise of another dark wizard. Mr. Malfoy has overcome quite a lot through and after this war, both socially and academically, and I am happy to see that a student from Slytherin is taking an initiative. I would not want a Gryffindor to ruin his efforts, Miss Granger.”

Hermione felt the shameful blush rise in her cheeks.
“I understand Professor. I just wanted your opinion. This entire situation has got me rather confused…”

“It’s understandable Miss Granger. Circumstances like these are never easy to navigate, no matter how old or young you are,” Professor McGonagall paused, a kind smile now playing on her lips. “Please know that I cannot choose for you. This is something you must decide on your own. But I will always tell you what is best for you with complete honesty. And honestly, Miss Granger, I believe you would do well to work with Mr. Malfoy on this project.”

With that the Headmistress picked up the piece of parchment she had earlier abandoned and resumed with her previous work. Taking this as her cue to leave, Hermione muttered a soft ‘thank you’ and made her way out of the office and down the spiral staircase.

------------------------------------------

With Professor McGonagall’s advice in mind, Hermione made her way down to the Quidditch pitch in search of Ron, Harry, and Ginny.

She no longer had any doubts about her decision; perhaps she had already known what she was going to do before she had met with the Headmistress. But now her anxiety was overwhelming, taking up every thought in her mind and twisting her stomach into knots. How was she going to tell Ron and Harry? How would they react? Hermione knew the answer to the second question, but instead of putting her mind at ease, it only made her more nervous and fearful of bringing up the conversation.

When she arrived at the pitch, she had made the decision to tell them today, perhaps even after practice, when their spirits were still high. She leaned herself comfortably against the stands while the team finished what appeared to be an after practice meeting, then moved forward to greet them when Harry had dismissed the team.

“Hey!” Ron exclaimed, a huge grin spreading on his face, clearly pleased she had come to see them.

Hermione smiled a bit less warmly than she normally would have, but allowed him to wrap her into a hug.

“So, what’d you do this morning ‘Mione?”

“Nothing very exciting,” Hermione stated, trying to sound as casual as possible. “Went to the library and then went to see Professor McGonagall.”

True to form, Ron ignored her academic talk and jumped into a long winded run down of how the morning’s practice had played out.

“…I mean it was really a great practice, wasn’t it Harry? Brilliant. And I managed to block every Quaffle. Well, alright, I missed one, but still, that’s not bad form,” Ron finished proudly.

“That’s great, Ron. Really, it should come as no surprise though, you’re quite talented,” Hermione offered, happy to have found Ron in such a good mood.

Ron offered her another wide grin then took her hand, leading the way to the changing rooms.

She waited for them outside, and formulated a plan to tell them about the project on the way to lunch. This would create less of a scene (something she viewed as an inevitable event) and hopefully keep the conversation away from crowded Great Hall.)

Hermione was becoming more and more anxious the longer she waited, and was relived to see Ginny exit the changing rooms followed closely by Ron and Harry, still deep in discussion about the morning’s practice. She wrapped her jacket tighter around herself and took a deep breath.

“I need to tell you guys something,” she interjected, interrupting a heated debate Ron and Ginny were having about the captain of the Holyhead Harpies. “It’s about NEWT project,” she continued, looking up to find the three of them staring at her with bemused faces. “You know the project that each NEWT student has to submit at the end of the year? Honestly don’t any of you pay attention is class?”

“That’s what we have you for Hermione.” Harry said, giving her a small smile.

“He’s right, ‘Mione. Besides is only October. You can’t bloody well expect us to start thinking about topics now,” whined Ron.

“Well, no. We’ve, er…we’ve already found a topic,” Hermione offered quietly.

“You mean you’ve already found a topic for us?” asked Harry. The smile had left his face, replaced with a look of suspicion.

“Brilliant,” added Ron, clearly excited about the prospect of putting forth minimal effort.

“No,” Hermione said in a small voice.

She turned to look at Ron, every ounce of nervousness in her body causing a lump to form in her throat. She took a deep breath, met his now curious stare, and said out loud, “You know how I told you I was in the library this morning? Well, Malfoy was there. And he, well…he asked me if I wanted to do the project with him. He’s doing it on a particularly difficult branch of Transfiguration and he wants me to partner with him since, well, I assume because I’m top in the class.”

It took a minute for Ron to process her words.“And what exactly did you say to him when he asked you?” He finally demanded.

“I haven’t given him an answer yet. I told him I needed time to think it over...”

Ron’s face relaxed, making the obvious assumption that Hermione had completely blown off Malfoy.

“But…?” asked Harry, who was now the one staring at her with curious eyes.

“But… well, I was very confused about what I should do. That’s why I went to see Professor McGonagall. She seems to think it’s not a completely horrible idea. Malfoy’s already spoken to her about the project and I think-“

“What is there to think about, Hermione? Just go and refuse! Where does that ferret even come off asking you to partner with him? And why did you even talk to McGonagall about this? You’re not honestly considering this are you?” Ron demanded, his face reddening in anger.

“But the topic is worth considering, Ron! He’s studying Animagi, which even aside from its obvious complexity, is a fascinating subject that will open up a lot of opportunities. If I study this topic I could get expert guidance, access to books I’ve never even dreamed of getting my hands on, extra hours before curfew, and probably more. Even without all that, the knowledge I’d be able to gain is invaluable. You know I have a niche for Transfiguration and this project is a tremendous opportunity,” Hermione pleaded. She could see the fire in Ron’s eyes grow deeper with every word she spoke.

“Hermione this is Malfoy we’re talking about. Malfoy, the slimy git we’ve hated since first year. Or have you completely forgotten about that?” Ron shouted. Several Ravenclaw third years, who’d been lounging under a nearby tree, had stopped talking and were now staring at Ron and Hermione. Ron shot them an annoyed look and lowered his voice. “Besides, how do you know it’s even safe to work with him?”

“Ron, I really think he just wants to make the most of this project, and that’s why he asked me. And I think I’ve proved I can take care of myself by now. Enemy or not, Malfoy isn’t foolish enough to try to harm me when all of his allies are missing,” Hermione insisted.

Ron twisted his face in irritation, quickly running out of excuses. “Well, he’s still a Slytherin. And a snob. You’ll never be able to get along.”

“Professor McGonagall thinks we need to befriend the Slytherins. We need to push for unity between all houses now or the gap between us will never close. I would not agree with her to the extent of being friends but we should at the very least not be enemies any more. And the first step is being able to work together when needed.”

“Don’t you want to work with us?” Ron asked, gesturing to himself, Harry, and Ginny. “How can you just leave us, for something you deem so important, to work with Malfoy?”

“I always assumed I’d do the project with you Ron. But this particular topic is worth the consideration,” Hermione pleaded.

Hermione flinched when Ron opened his mouth to reply, but was surprised when he rounded on Harry and Ginny. “What about you two? This is completely mental right?”

Ginny’s face had turned red at the thought of interjecting into such a heated argument. She looked at Hermione, who had taken the break from Ron’s attention to wipe a tear from her cheek, and then turned back to her brother.

“This is Hermione’s decision,” she stated plainly.

“Harry?” pushed Ron.

Harry ran his hand through his hair absentmindedly as he thought of an answer.

“I think Hermione is right, mate. We shouldn’t hold her back from achieving what’s best for her. There’s no harm in trying to keep our prejudices aside for the time being. I’m not crazy about it, but if she’s going to do this, she’ll need our support.”

“You’re taking her side?” asked Ron, staring at his best friend in disbelief. He turned to Hermione. “Apparently my opinion doesn’t matter and you seem to have made your decision anyway. Have fun with Malfoy,” he spat as he turned to walk away.

“Ron…” Hermione pleaded as she made to grab his arm. He jerked it from her grasp and quickened his pace towards the castle.

“Ron! Ron, please listen to me!” she sobbed.

She felt Harry’s arm snake around her shoulders and Ginny whisper words of comfort to her, but she didn’t respond. She knew Ron was going to be upset but she hadn’t readied herself for such a strong reaction.

When Hermione had managed to stop crying they left her sitting on the front steps leading into the castle, insisting she was fine and merely needed some time alone.

Hermione pressed her fingers to her temple, mind consumed in thought. She could still change her mind if she wanted to, for Ron. It would surely put her mind at ease. But she couldn’t shake the thought that this was bigger than some argument between her and Ron.

“We always have a choice. And it’s our choices that decide who we really are.” She spoke softly to her self.

Harry had spoken these words to her and Ron the night Dumbledore died. Dumbledore would have given Malfoy a chance; he had given him a chance. He believed in second chances, and that with the right guidance people could change for the good. He believed in Snape when no one else would, why wouldn’t the same stand for Malfoy?

This thought, this small shimmer of the guidance left by Dumbledore, was the last bit of reassurance Hermione needed to decide her decision was the right one. With McGonagall’s permission, and tacit compliance from at least two of her friends, she knew that giving Malfoy a chance to prove himself was the right one.

What she did not know, however, was that every little bit she was counting on, the people in her life, the well manicured planes for her future, were all going to be turned upside down. This decision would change Hermione’s life…

--------------------------------

Draco was in hiding again. This recently found place of peace and solitude was the only source of comfort he had these days. The night had settled leaving a slight breeze rolling across the grounds, rustling the leaves and breaking the silence of the evening. He sat with his back resting against a boulder, staring upon the small town below him, silhouetted by the surrounding hills. The sky blended into the town; the small flickering lights of the windows meshing with stars in the sky, creating a sense of warmth.

He turned to stare into the fire he had lit with a few twigs and fallen branches, finding it difficult to resist the overwhelming depression he was in and the nagging voice telling him to give up. This arrogant, spoiled self laughed at him from the inside, jesting at his attempts to become a better person. The world is cruel, it said. And you are not to be trusted.

Draco frequently argued with this voice, insisting that there was always a way. But as the days passed, he continued to seek this place of solitude, his faith faltering with every friendless, lonely nightfall. He knew the prejudices against his family were deeply rooted. And now, when he so desperately wanted to change, they were pulling him down, destroying any progress he made.

As feeble of an attempt it may be, Draco knew that doing well on the NEWTs project could give him a fair chance at any profession he chose.

Assuming anyone would even offer you a position, nagged his alter ego.

Completing a project of this caliber would be a hit with future employers, he thought to himself. But If Granger refuses…I won’t be able to do this alone.

Draco had anticipated her refusal the instant he asked her to partner with him, and was short sighted when she told him she needed time to consider her options. It had given him hope, but now as he thought it through he was becoming more discouraged, doubtful that Hermione would truly consider working with a former Death Eater.

Even with the Mudblood’s help, you’ll fail Draco, insisted the voice.

Draco had weighed his options long before the term had even started. Though he tried to better himself, even in the slightest ways he failed. He would find a way. He had to find a way.

It’s not who you are. You’re not one of them. Not pure, not good, purred his alter ego. Give in, Draco. Embrace your name. Be a Malfoy.

Draco shook his head, attempting to drown out the voice that was forever tempting him. Bugger off, he thought to himself as he extinguished the fire and made his way back to the castle.
End Notes:
The project begins... Let me know what you think of the chapter... :)
Chapter 4 by Vginny
Author's Notes:
The project is about to start and the change in their life is about to begin... :)
Thanks to my lovely beta again :) viva :)
Disclaimer: The characters belong to amazing J.K Rowling.
The beginning:

Hermione awoke the next day, an air of misery as present as ever. At breakfast she tried to make small talk with Ron, but he simply pretended not to hear her and ate his toast at an alarmingly fast rate before getting up from the table without so much as a glance in her direction.

With a sigh Hermione gathered her bag, took one last sip of her pumpkin juice, and headed towards her first class of the day. The potions dungeons were always dreary, and a sense of foreboding settled into the pit of her stomach as she took her seat next to Harry. Ron, who typically joined them their table, had settled himself across the room with Dean and Seamus.

For the duration of the class she was torn between taking diligent notes, stealing glances at Ron, who was determinately not looking her direction, and thinking about the conversation she was hoping to have with Malfoy after class. She had decided the night before, after a grueling inner battle, that she would let Malfoy know of her consent to work with him after this morning’s potions class.

The hour passed quickly, and before she knew it the students around her were packing up their cauldrons and heading towards the door in the back of the room. Hermione motioned for Harry to go on without her and took her time putting the remains of her ingredients in the student store closet.

She spotted Malfoy making his way towards the door and quickly grabbed her bag.

–Malfoy!” she called after him, just as he rounded a corner.

Hermione quickened her pace and rounded the corner as well, only to find that he had stopped walking.

–Yes Granger?” he said after he had retracted a few steps to stand next to her. He did not look surprised, or even expectant, as if it were a common routine for them to chat in the corridors.

Hermione cleared her throat and spoke in what she hoped was a calm professional tone.

–Well, I’ve made my decision. I am willing to do the project with you,” she announced, noticing that the calm professional tone she had hoped for sounded more like she was conducting a courtroom.

Draco quirked an eyebrow in amusement.

–That took less time than I had anticipated. One day. I had expected you to take at least a week,” he laughed. –No matter. The sooner we get started the better. I suppose we should set up a time to meet. What is convenient for you?”

–A week? Why would I possibly take a week? Honestly Malfoy, just because I like to think things through doesn’t mean I can’t make a decision in a respectable amount of time. I mean, I too want to move on with this project quickly. I say we start tomorrow. An hour after our last class? Do you know where you’d like to study? I can’t see the library being a good idea, with all those people hanging around. Do you think we could use an empty classroom?” she blurted out in a single breath, blushing slightly from the break in her formal character.

Draco’s look of amusement deepened at Hermione’s enthusiasm.

–We will have to meet McGonagall today if we want to begin the project tomorrow. We can ask her if there are any good places to study without interruptions. We should probably ask her about our curfew as well.”

–Yes, smart plan,” Hermione stated, the stiffness in her voice returning. –Have you got a free period today?”

–Er, yes.”

Hermione looked at him expectantly. –Well, which one is it?”

”The second period after lunch.”

–Brilliant. Mine as well. Let’s say we meet up at the gargoyles five minutes after the first afternoon period, shall we? And don’t dawdle Malfoy, I won’t wait around for you.”

–Sounds like a plan,” said Draco through his smirk.

”Good.”

”Great.”

”Okay.”

”Alright.”

–So..”

”Granger?”

–Yes?”

”You’re going to be late for Charms.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

–Hermione, listen to me. I know that you’re capable of taking care of yourself but- oh don’t look at me like that Hermione. I’m just trying to say that if he gives you any trouble to let me know. Alright?”

Harry had been pushing Hermione to tell him her entire conversation with Malfoy since the beginning of class. Unsatisfied with her brief explanation, he continued to badger her for details and eventually settled on simply reminding her of the dangers of working with Malfoy.

–Harry, I’ll be fine,” she replied lazily and she flicked her wand at the target across the room. Her thoughts were not at all focused on the Projection Charm that were supposed to be mastering, but instead on how surprisingly civilized her conversation with Malfoy had been.

Since when is Malfoy so easy to talk to? And why was he acting so nonchalant about the whole thing? I mean, I know we’re supposed to be working together but it’s not like we’ve reached any level of friendship in the past day. Maybe he jus-

–However,” Harry continued, breaking Hermione’s inner dialogue. –Even I can admit that there is a noticeable change in him. The thing that bothers me the most is that he could easily be putting on another act, you know?” Harry paused to take his aim at the target, successfully projecting the image of the Unicorn they were supposed to be replicating. –Whatever the case, I doubt Malfoy is thick enough to intentionally start trouble with the Head Girl,” he paused again to glance at Hermione, who was staring across the room. –Hermione, are you even listening to me? Hermione!?”

–What? No. I mean, yes, of course. Oh shoot!” Hermione exclaimed as she distractedly cast Confringo instead of the projection charm. A picture frame placed above the target burst into flames as its occupants leapt to neighboring pictures, yelling streams of curse words at Hermione. –Sorry! I’m sorry…” she yelled to Professor Flitwick as he put out the flames.

”Harry, Ron is still angry with me, isn’t he?” she asked suddenly, turning to face Harry.

Harry pushed his glasses further up his nose and looked at the pathetic look in Hermione’s eyes.

–Herms, you know him well enough to know that he takes time to get over things. Remember how long it took him to talk to me after the First Task in fourth year? Besides, this fight is not the worst you’ve had,” Harry stated, patting her softly on the hand.

Hermione sighed, –Yes. I suppose that’s true. I just…I miss him, Harry.”

–Don’t worry Herms, it will be over soon.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After lunch Hermione sat through Ancient Runes, her mind torn between fretting over Ron’s absence in her life and her meeting with Malfoy next period.

When class was over Hermione made her way to the Headmistress’ office, arriving with a few minutes to spare. Five minutes later, and predictably not on time, Malfoy arrived waving a piece of parchment in front of her face.

–Before you comment on my punctuality Granger, please know that I was busy gathering some vital information about our project,” Draco said in a slow drawl. A smirk played across his mouth as Hermione pursed her lips, clearly upset that he had a viable excuse and even more upset at the lost opportunity to scold him.

–Fine,” she huffed. –Let’s go.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A little short of a hour later the pair made their way down the spiraling staircase and out into open corridor.

Hermione paused and turned to Malfoy. –Can you believe that they are actually considering allowing us to register at the end of term?”

Headmistress McGonagall, before giving them consent to begin their project had gone through various rules and laws that they would have to adhere to. In addition they would have to meet with her once a week and with a Ministry Official once a month. She had allotted them an empty classroom for practicing, and had extended their weekly curfew to eleven and their weekend curfew to midnight. Under proper supervision they would be permitted to visit the Ministry Library, and if needed, further assistance by the professor herself could be obtained. Lastly, and to Hermione’s surprise, the Headmistress told them that if they were to complete the project to the Ministry’s standards that they would be permitted to register as Animagi at the end of term.

–I mean, I knew that this was a high caliber project, but I honestly didn’t expect the Ministry to give us permission to complete the transformation. Of course we will be closely monitored, and their involvement will ensure that we are doing everything up to standard,” Hermione mused.

Draco continued to stare at her, his signature smirk playing at his lips.

”You knew, didn’t you?” Hermione asked. –You knew, and you didn’t tell me. That’s why you didn’t look at all surprised when McGonagall told us.”

–Yes Granger, I knew,” he stated. –Well, technically speaking, I didn’t know, I guessed. Good to know at least one of use is doing our research.”

Hermione blushed, looking down at the floor. Had she honestly just witnessed Malfoy bettering her on an academic level?

Draco laughed to himself at Hermione’s obviously disdain for being out smarted. –Come on, we’re going to be late for class.”

Much to the dismay of the seventh years, Griffindors and Slytherins had been assigned a double DADA lesson twice a week before dinner. Arriving in the nick of time, Hermione and Draco entered the classroom under the scrutinizing gaze of their peers.

Draco cleared his throat loudly and took his usual seat by Blaise, leaving Hermione alone by the door. She made her way to the table she shared with Harry and Ron to find Harry looking at her curiously and Ron determinedly looking towards the front of the room, his hard set mouth and furrowed brow a tell all expression that he had seen her and Malfoy walk in together.

I’ve got to end this argument, she thought to herself as she unpacked her things. I can’t go through this entire year knowing Ron is upset with me.

With that, Hermione made silent promise to herself to talk with him after dinner and opened her book to the chapter on Defensive Wards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

–Ron?”

Ron looked up from his copy of Quidditch through the Ages to see who had called his name, his eyes meeting an anxious Hermione’s. He immediately turned his attention back to his book and slouched further down into his armchair.

–Ron, please look to me. We really need to talk about this. I don- I don’t want to fight anymore,” she pleaded. She looked around the common room to find a group of third years staring at them. –Can we get out of here and talk, please?”

Hermione made her way towards the portrait hole, not looking back to see if Ron had followed her. She waited by the top of the stairs until she heard the portrait swing shut, and turned to see Ron staring at her, his stony demeanor still in tact.

–Would you like to walk?” she asked quietly.

Ron nodded once and started down the stairs. When they had reached a lengthy corridor Hermione broke the silence.

–Ron, I’m sorry if I hurt you,” she murmured. –I- I missed you. A lot. I understand you’re angry with me, but I wish you would see my perspective on things. This really is a great opportunity for me. I found out today that I could get approved for Animagi registration.” Hermione paused to look up at Ron, who was staring at his feet. She slowed her walking and reached for his hand, relishing its familiar heat, and thankful he didn’t pull free from her grasp.

”Ron, this project will mean nothing to me if I don’t have your support. I can barely even concentrate on my normal studies as it is,” she paused again to find Ron looking down at her, his eyes softer. –Don’t you want to stop this arguing? Don’t you….don’t you miss me?”

–Merlin, Hermione. Of course I miss you,” Ron sighed. –I’ve missed you like mad. It’s not like I get off by us fighting al the time. I hate it. But you act as if my opinion doesn’t matter to you. You always do whatever you want Hermione, just like you did when you agreed to work with Malfoy.”

–That’s not true Ron. If your opinion didn’t matter do you think I’d be so upset about us fighting? You have to see that I’m not doing this in spite of you. I’m doing it because it’s a great opportunity. Professor McGonagall can see that. And I’m really good at Transfiguration. You know it’s always been my favorite subject.”

–Yes Hermione, I know. I just- I’m not ready to accept it. That’s all. You working with Malfoy is not something that should come natural. And I feel bad for acting like an ass, but I can’t help it. I just..” Ron paused as if trying to find the right words to express his frustrations, as a multitude of emotions ran over his face.

After a quiet moment he furrowed his brows and peered down at Hermione with guilty blue eyes.

–You think I’m acting like an arse, don’t you? Because I’m getting in the way of what’s best for you?”

–Oh, Ron,” Hermione sighed. –In all honesty, I would probably have reacted the same way if the situation were reversed.”

Ron shook his head lightly.

”No No, you would have encouraged me; pushed me to take the best path.”

–You give me too much credit Ron. I definitely would have been upset,” Hermione paused. –My reaction just would have been more tactful,” she added teasingly.

–Tactful,” barked Ron. –Like the time you sent birds flying at my head?”

The smile on Ron’s face reflected the elation Hermione felt as he reached for her other hand, and pulled her closer until their foreheads touched.

–I missed you so much,” Ron whispered, trailing kisses from her forehead to her neck, where her paused to nuzzle his nose in her hair.

He found his way back to her lips, offering a tentative but sweet kiss that left a burning sensation simmering in the pit of Hermione’s stomach.

All too soon they broke apart, breathes labored and lips slightly swollen, giving them both the appearance of having been thoroughly snogged.

Hermione lifter her eyes to meet Ron’s and offered him a delicate smile.

”I’ve missed you too.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron and Hermione entered the common room hand in hand and out of breath, relieved to have narrowly avoided being caught by Filch and his shady cat. They collapsed on a loveseat by the fire, seated directly across from the couch where Ginny and Harry were perched, surrounded by homework, and staring at them in amusement.

Ginny, correctly assuming that had finally made up, smile knowingly at Hermione and then went back to reading her book. Harry raised his eyebrows in question at Ron, and received a small smirk in return.

Hermione curled up on the couch and leaned into Ron, realizing just how much she had missed this, even if it’s absence was only for a day.

–Oh rats!” Hermione exclaimed, jumping from her place on the couch. –I’ve got to get some work done in the library before curfew.”

And then before Ron had time to show any slight for of irritation, she pecked him on the cheek, offered her friends a quick goodbye, and sprinted from the common room.

She made short work of her trip to the library, and deciding it was best to start her research in the Transfiguration section, squeezed her way through the groups of students packing up for the night and settled herself between two looming shelves of books.

Hermione skimmed over the titles of the first row of books, desperate to find a stand out title that would lead her to the perfect information. Still happy from the night’s events, Hermione continued to smile to herself even when she found she was unhappy with her findings. Deciding to move on from the books in front of her, she rounded the corner to the next row, only to come face to face with Malfoy.

–You’re looking quite cheerful, Granger. Did the Weasel finally stop acting like barmy git over this whole thing?” he teased, pointing at himself and then at her.

Surprised he had even picked up on, or paid attention to what had been going on with her and Ron, Hermione shot him a disapproving look.

–Oh shove off, Malfoy,” she replied back, an even bigger smile returning to her face.

–No harm, no foul. I was just returning some books,” he said through his smirk. –By the by, if you want to read some material for our project, I’d start with this,” He added as he handed her a copy of Transfiguration: the Human Form that he had intended on returning. ”It gives a pretty thorough introduction to human Transfiguration.”

–I read that book in third year, Malfoy. Of course, it was just for a bit of light reading, so I suppose reading it over once more couldn’t hurt,” Hermione mused, as she followed Draco into another section, watching him return another book to it’s proper place. –What I was really looking forward to researching were the laws and regulations that pertain to becoming an Animagus, along with a straight forward step by step process that we could easily follow.”

Draco’s smirk widened as he handed her the last two books in his hands.

Hermione couldn’t help be impressed by the amount of research Malfoy had already done as she looked at the two books he had handed her. One read Laws & Logistics: Volume VI; Animagi. Hermione frowned; she’d been in every section of this library and had never found Ministry issued copies of their bylaws.

She quickly scanned the first page before turning her attention to the second, and quite a bit larger, book that Draco had handed her.

–A Guide to Becoming an Animagus by Delinda Montgomery,” she read, as she turned to Malfoy. –Have you already read this?” she asked disbelievingly.

–Relax Granger, I haven’t even opened it. I thought it would be a good place to start,” he replied coolly. –Besides, it wouldn’t help if only one of us has read the material. We should probably research the important things together.”

–Oh, well yes, I agree,” Hermione said, slightly taken aback. –I suppose tomorrow our first step should be taking some notes on the process and then creating an outline for ourselves.”

Draco could see a slight blush or embarrassment forming on Hermione’s cheeks. He could tell she was worked up over the fact that he had been so prepared, whereas she had not.

It’s kind of nice really, He thought to himself. Nice change of pace when Hermione Know-It-All Granger is slacking.

–No worries Granger, we’ll be on the same page tomorrow. Literally,” he smiled to himself as he turned to gather his books.

With that, Hermione gave him a quick nod and turned to leave the library. She could hear his footsteps behind her, as she made her way through the dark halls, absent of any other students. The happenings in the library, with him showing her up, still ran through her mind, and without notice she rounded on him, face red with irritation.

–Why have you been so calm and sincere, albeit a bit snarky, this whole week Malfoy? And why did you choose a branch of Transfiguration to do your project on? Isn’t your best subject potions?” she demanded, her annoyance turning her questions into accusations.

Even with her accusatory tone Draco could sense the curiosity that had been building up inside of her.

–Yes, Granger, my favorite subject is Potions. Unfortunately the only way to prove your worth in that field is to create a new potion, and that would take well over a year. Many have tried and failed, but for me failing simply isn’t an option. So I set my sights on something challenging yet obtainable,” he answered thoughtfully, carefully evading her first question. –Besides, there are several steps in this project that will require potion making.”

Hermione nodded. –Yes, I know that. But-–

–And,” Draco continued, cutting Hermione off. –The rest of the steps require aptitude in Transfiguration. So, I asked you. Who better to ask than the best witch in our year, eh?” he added with a hint of sarcasm, attempting to sound a bit like his old self.

He nodded in her direction and turned to head towards the dungeons, leaving Hermione blushing more than ever.

Best witch in our year? Did those words really just come out of his mouth? Hermione thought to herself as she watched him walk away.

Oh yes indeed, Draco Malfoy had changed.
End Notes:
The story and the chemistry slowly building... :) let me know whatever you think