The Untold Story by StarkidSkyler
Summary:

Severus was angry. Thoughts of Lily and James were still running through his head. His hatred of James for being everything that he was not pulsed through his veins. Severus let his thoughts consume him; he ignored his reserve and took the slip of paper from Avery, uttering the incantation as he unleashed his dark anger on the unsuspecting boy.

A story of desperation, fighting fate, love versus destiny. Friendship turning to enmity and enmity to friendship. This is the tragically beautiful story of Lily Evans, Severus Snape, and James Potter.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 16069 Read: 24086 Published: 08/16/11 Updated: 06/14/12

1. Back to the Beginning by StarkidSkyler

2. A Moment of Peace by StarkidSkyler

3. Peacock Tails and Firewhiskey by StarkidSkyler

4. A Festive Occasion by StarkidSkyler

5. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? by StarkidSkyler

6. Anytime by StarkidSkyler

7. A Taste of His Own Medicine by StarkidSkyler

Back to the Beginning by StarkidSkyler
Author's Notes:

Author’s Note: I wrote this story to fill in the blanks of the Lily/Severus/James story told in the books. I was having a hard time not disliking James, so I wrote this story to put the blame on fate rather than a person. I tried to be true to the books, but there are a few things I changed:

-This all takes place in their sixth year, but Lily is supposed to stop being friends with Snape by the end of her fifth year and she’s not supposed to start dating James until her seventh year. I wanted them to coincide.

-I might have gotten a few characters wrong (ex. Amos Diggory, I don’t know if he went to Hogwarts)

-Reviews are appreciated! Enjoy!

Sunlight streamed into the Gryffindor Common Room through the curtains covering the windows, announcing the early morning to the only two inhabitants sleeping peacefully at one of the desks in the corner. One of them, a young girl of sixteen, stirred as the light hit her, illuminating the dark red hair which covered her face. She raised her head from her arms and gave a drowsy yawn, rubbing the sleep out of her bright green eyes. Stretching, she looked around, trying to remember why she was not waking up in her four-poster like every other student. Then her eyes landed on the dark-haired boy still dozing across the table from her.

“Sev! Wake up!”

She prodded him sharply on the arm he was sleeping on. With a snort, Severus raised his head, groggy from sleeping. He wiped the drool from his mouth and looked at her.

“Lily, what-”

“Sev, we fell asleep! It’s morning! You have to go, what if someone wakes up and sees you-”

Severus stretched the crick in his neck and nodded, his eyes still closed. Lily glanced nervously at the steps leading down from the boys dormitory. The last thing she wanted was for James or Sirius to come down and see Severus in the Gryffindor Common Room, there was no telling what they would do to him.

“Come on, Sev, do you want to die?”

Severus laughed. “Don’t worry, Lily, I’m out of here.” He gathered his books and parchment, standing up to leave. “Did we finish?” He asked quizzically, studying the parchment he had been writing his Potions essay on.
Lily shook her head. “Nope, I only have five inches on mine.” She waved her hand carelessly. “We can do it another time, I don’t want to spend my free period studying today. I’m actually almost ahead on my homework, we’ve been studying so much.” Lily made a face, as if academic efficiency annoyed her. “Now go, Sev! Seriously!”

“I’m leaving, I’m leaving.” Severus threw his things into his school bag and started towards the portrait hole. He paused before going through it. “Will I, er, see you later?” He said rather awkwardly.

“Sure, we have a free period after lunch,” Lily said distractedly as she rifled through her parchment.

Severus hesitated to see if she was going to say anything else, but Lily was busy picking her fallen notes off of the floor. Severus disappeared through the portrait hole.

Lily glanced up, hearing the portrait close. “Thank God,” she muttered under her breath with a sigh of relief. She could hardly stand it when James and Sirius tormented Severus, and she did not want to give them another chance to do so.

Just then, she heard voices from the staircase behind her, speaking in hoarse whispers.

“...ungodly hour, Sirius, let’s just go back to bed and get it later..”

“We have to get my sweater before McGonagall goes into her classroom or else she’ll know it was us who tampered with her erasers.”

“It’s not like she’s going to have any doubt anyways...”

“Well, she won’t have proof. Open your eyes, James, you’re going to fall down the stairs.”

“Yeah, maybe I’ll hit my head and go unconscious, then I’ll get to sleep some more..”

Speak of the devil, Lily thought to herself. By then, they had reached the Common Room. Sirius, his shaggy black hair even more untidy than usual, and James with his eyes still shut, as if he were sleeping where he stood. Sirius spotted Lily, who had paused gathering her books in the hopes of going unnoticed by the two boys. “You may want to wake up, mate.” He flashed Lily his infectious grin. Next to him, James reluctantly rubbed his eyes open.

“What do you...” He looked to where Sirius was pointing. “Oh- Lily!” James positively jumped. His right hand flew to his hair, ruffling it as he pulled his dressing robe over his pajamas. “What, uh, what are you doing up so early? Do you know what time it is?”

Lily was amused to see James so unlike his usual cool, confident self. “Not that it’s any of your business, James, but I was studying late last night and I fell asleep.”

Sirius nodded. “I hate it when that happens.”

Lily could not help but smile despite herself. She was sure that Sirius had never studied late into the night in his life, or even studied much at all.

“So, Evans, heard about the Hogsmeade visit this weekend?” James was regaining some of his composure as he talked. “Thinking about going?”

Lily cocked an eyebrow. “Yes, Potter, I have heard about Hogsmeade. And I am planning to go, actually.”

James ran a hand through his hair. “Because I was thinking, there’s that new coffee shop in Hogsmeade and I’ve been meaning to check it out, so, you know, if you were going...”

Lily rolled her eyes. “James Potter, you expect me to believe that you’ve never brought a girl to that coffee shop before? You used that same line on Mary just a few days ago I’m not stupid, you know.”

James paused. “Well, yeah, I know, I was just-”

“If you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to go get some sleep before breakfast.” Lily brushed past them and disappeared up the flight of stairs leading to the girls’ dormitories.

James sighed. “Come on, let’s go get your stupid sweater.”










“She hates me, Padfoot. Hates me.”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “Quit worrying, will you? Lily doesn’t hate you, she’s just.. not particularly excited about your existence.”

James groaned. “I hate it when she calls me Potter.”

“You call her Evans, what’s the big deal?”

“Well yeah, but that’s just a term of endearment.” James shrugged. “But do you hear the way she says “Potter”? It’s like she’s spitting at me!”

Sirius laughed out loud. “You think too much, Prongs. If you’re not careful, you’ll turn into Moony and start thinking all the time.”

James gave an exaggerated shudder. “A fate worse than death. Have you checked the map?”

Sirius glanced down at the piece of parchment in his hand. “All clear,” he answered. “Mischief managed,” he murmured to the map, which immediately wiped itself clear. “Grab my sweater, will you? I want to try out that spell Wormy told us about.” Sirius pulled out his wand and headed to the doorknob.

James went to grab the sweater lying on the floor beneath the chalkboard, where they had bewitched the erasers to start clapping out chalk dust over the head of whoever attempted to erase the board. His confrontation with Lily was still bothering him, he didn’t like the way she had stomped off. If it was not so hard to talk to her, he could have made her see that he had only asked Mary to Hogsmeade because he was hoping she’d bring Lily along.. He could have brought Remus, he and Mary had always gotten along very well. Images of his imaginary double date flitted into his head, involving him and Lily in a very cozy corner of the coffee shop, uninterrupted...

“Oi! James! What’re you, checking each individual thread? Let’s get going, I don’t want to spend my Hogsmeade weekend in detention with McGonagall.”

“Keep your pants on,” James threw a piece of chalk at Sirius, who blocked it with his arm. The two boys hastily shut the door and walked quickly away from the scene of the crime.








Severus Snape was laying in his bed. His dormitory was very dim, only the light of one lamp by his bedside illuminated the dark dungeon. He was alone, with only the company of his own thoughts.

This was how Severus preferred to spend his free time. The only person who’s company he truly enjoyed was Lily Evans. Though he had friends in Slytherin, he often found that time spent with them lacked a certain depth that he found with Lily. The thoughts of his Slytherin classmates were two-dimensional, single-minded... Lily had a way of looking at things that opened your eyes, forced you to see every aspect of a situation. She was always sure of herself, her opinion never faltered, her fiery personality never allowed anyone else to win an argument or debate.

Severus shook his head, clearing his head of all thoughts at once. He never allowed himself to think of Lily too much, never let himself dwell on how much she amazed him. Controlling his thoughts was easy for Severus, it was as if he put all of his thoughts into a box reserved just for thoughts of Lily, and put that box in the very back of his mind. This left his head clear, and he could simply choose what the contemplate next. Before he could, however, he was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Severus, come down to lunch with us.” The low voice at the door seemed commanding rather than inviting. Severus reluctantly opened the door.

“Avery.” Severus nodded at a tall boy with an unpleasant face. Next to him stood a shorter, stockier boy, Mulciber, who was hunched over as if he spent much time looking at the ground. Without a word, Avery turned on his heel and headed towards the steps leading outside the Slytherin Common Room, Severus and Mulciber at his side.

The three boys left the Common Room and made their way to the Great Hall for breakfast. The Slytherin table had a different atmosphere than the other tables; the students did not shout excitedly down the table to their friends. Slytherins were very calm, they kept to themselves and the friends they chose.

Severus sat down with Avery and Mulciber near the end of the table and could not help but glance over at the Gryffindor table. Lily’s dark red hair made her easy to spot; she was talking with a gaggle of Gryffindor girls. They all burst into laughter that echoed through the hall. Lily’s was the easiest to hear, she had an infectious, ringing laugh that was nearly impossible to ignore. Heads turned to look at her, but Lily seemed oblivious to the attention she drew, as always.

Irritated, Severus noticed one head that frequently turned in Lily’s direction. James seemed determined to get Lily’s attention. He was entertaining a group of students, all howling with laughter, but his eyes kept darting to check if his target audience was paying him any attention.

“Git,” Severus muttered under his breath.

“What was that, Severus?” Raul Sankins, a Slytherin seventh year, asked him.

“Nothing.”









“He keeps looking over here,” Bethany Jordans whispered so that all of the girls around the table could hear. Many of them immediately fixed their collars and smoothed their hair. Lily rolled her eyes.

“Do I have anything in my teeth?” Justine Richy asked Margaret Perks who was sitting across from her.

“I heard that he asked Mary on a date to Hogsmeade this weekend,” Linda Bunks proclaimed.

Beside Lily, Mary blushed and stared down at her plate.

“Did you say yes?” Bethany asked excitedly, leaning forward across the table.

“No,” Mary shook her head. She glanced quickly at Lily, who appeared uninterested in the conversation. Her response generated a series of exclamations of surprise from the rest of the girls.

“You’re insane!” Justine sighed and stared off into the clouds moving slowly on the ceiling above them. “He’s so...”

“Arrogant?” Lily offered in a low voice.
Justine rolled her eyes. “I really don’t see how you can think that, Lily, James is a perfect gentleman.”

“Maybe because I’m not fooled by transparent flattery and sneaky tricks,” Lily muttered, more to Mary than anyone else.

“Damn it, that’s what I was relying on.”

Lily jumped, and turned around to see Sirius standing right behind her, an easy grin on his face. Even with his low comment, Sirius captured the attention of all the girls around him. If there was anyone more admired than James Potter, it was Sirius Black.

“Alright, alright, I’ll skip the tricks and flattery: I need a favor.”

Lily raised an eybrow. “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah,” said Sirius. “I need you to agree to fill in for Roger as Chaser in the next match. Stupid twit was caught dueling, now he’s suspended from Quidditch.” Sirius tossed his shaggy hair.

Lily folded her arms across her chest. “You’re not even on the team. Why didn’t the captain ask me himself?”

Sirius grinned. “To be honest, I think he’s a little scared of you. And he knows you’re probably stilled mad at him. But you really have to say yes, Amos Diggory is already getting cocky about Hufflepuff beating us. We can’t lose!” His large brown eyes were pleading with her.

Lily sighed. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

“That’s what I like to hear.” Sirius gave her a light punch on the arm and returned to his friends at the other end of the table.











“What’d she say?” James asked nervously immediately after Sirius returned.

“Calm down, she said yes. Pass me that chicken leg, will you?”

James gave a sigh of relief and relaxed into his seat. “Thank God. I’m not losing to Hufflepuff.”

Remus Lupin glanced up from his food. “And this has nothing to do with spending time with Lily, does it?”

James glared at him. “You know she’s the best Chaser.”

“She didn’t even try out for the team,” Remus observed.

“That’s just because Prongs is captain,” Sirius chimed in pleasantly, earning a very dirty look from James.

“Shut it, I just want to win Quidditch.” James glanced over to where Lily was sitting, his hand instinctively flying to his hair. "Where's Wormtail, anyway?"

"Studying. McGonagall told him that if he didn't hand in his essay by today, he couldn't come to Hogsmeade," Remus reported with a look of disapproval.

“Why don’t you ask Bethany to go to Hogsmeade with you?” Sirius suggested, not accepting the subject change. “She fancies you, you know.”

“What?” James tore his gaze away from the other end of the table to look at Remus. “Oh, Bethany. Yeah, I dunno.” He gave a half-hearted shrug.

Sirius chuckled. “Come on, mate, you’re turning into a one-girl type of guy lately.”

“Am not,” James said defensively.

“Why doesn’t Lily like me? Why won’t Lily go to Hogsmeade with me? Can you ask Lily to play Chaser for me?” Sirius imitated James in a high-pitched, whiny voice. James aimed a grape at him.

“Where are you going?” Sirius asked him, as James rose from his chair

“To ask Bethany to go to Hogsmeade with me,” James called loftily over his shoulder as he strode down the Great Hall.

As usual, Lily had the attention of her friends. “I looked her right in the eye and told her I had been sleeping in my dormitory the whole time. And she believed me! And then-”

“Ahem.”

Lily abruptly stopped speaking, shooting daggers at James through her glare. He ignored her and turned to Bethany.

“Hey, Beth, I was wondering if you’d grace me with your presence at Hogsmeade this weekend?”

Bethany could not have looked more pleased. “Of course, James! Shall I meet you in the Entrance hall tomorrow?”

“Sure, see you.” He paused before turning away. “Oh, Lily, there’s a Quidditch practice at seven tomorrow night. Thought you might want to know.” And then James turned and strode off.

Lily was seething.
A Moment of Peace by StarkidSkyler
Author's Notes:

Author’s Note: Another change- I believe that, according to JKR, James was supposed to be a Chaser... But I really wanted to make him a Seeker. It just seemed more natural. (Seekers are obviously way cooler.)


Severus sat against the wall of an empty classroom, a book in his lap. A few feet away, Lily was lying on her back, enchanting objects in the room at random. Severus felt at ease in Lily’s presence. The pair was comfortable with silence, without needing any strained conversation or awkward small talk.

“I’m filling in as Chaser for the next game,” Lily said casually. A piece of floating chalk drew a broomstick on the blackboard as she spoke.

“Did Potter ask you?” Severus asked quietly.

“No, Sirius did. James did ask me to go to Hogsmeade with him though, the arrogant toerag.”

Severus glowed inwardly upon hearing Lily insult James. “Did you say no?”

“Of course I said no.” Lily sighed. “Are you going to Hogsmeade? Want to come with Mary and me?”

Severus looked down at the ground. “I... well, I don’t think I’m going.”

“Why not?” Lily demanded. “This could be the last time we have a visit until next term!”

“Well.. Avery wants to stay in the castle, so I think I’ll...” His voice trailed off feebly.

Lily’s lips pursed into a tight line. The chair she had been levitating landed on the ground with a thud.

“What are you guys going to do?” Lily flipped over onto her stomach to look Severus in the eye. “Curse some first years?”

“Lily..”

“I don’t understand why you hang out with him. Avery is just so... mean.

Severus scowled. “Potter and Black are just as bad.”

“No, they’re not, Sev, and you know it. James and Sirius may be jerks, but Avery and Mulciber.. Well, they’re just cruel.” Lily frowned. “And anyways, I don’t hang out with James and Sirius”

“Avery is my friend.”

“He can’t be your friend, Sev, he’s too bad!”

“You can’t tell me who I can be friends with, Lily!” Severus said sharply.

Lily’s temper flared, her eyes flashed. “Excuse me for caring,” she said hotly.

Silence followed, this time tense. Severus looked down at his hands, Lily stared up at the ceiling.

“I’m sorry.”

“I know.”

Another silence. Lily sighed heavily.

“I just don’t want you to be like Avery, Severus,” she said quietly. Before he could say anything, Lily stood up.

“I’m going to go to bed now. Goodnight, Sev.”

“Goodnight,” Severus murmered.









Lily awoke on Friday morning feeling restless and excited. Although she had been a little hesitant to agree to fill in as Chaser, she really was looking forward to flying at practice that night. She almost wished she’d tried out for the team... if it was not for all of the added alone time with James. Lily sighed. Hopefully he would try behave himself tonight.

The morning passed fairly quickly, her classes flying by. Finally, all that remained was a Gryffindor/Slytherin combined double Potions period before she was dismissed for dinner and then practice. Normally, Potions was Lily’s favorite class, as the subject came very easily to her. And since they shared the period with Slytherin, she and Severus could pair up. Severus was very talented at Potions as well, which made for an ideal partnership.

Unfortunately, this Potions class was not shaping up to be as enjoyable as usual.

“Alrighty-o, class, we’re going to be working on a Draught of Living Death today. I want you to pair up and by the end of the class, the pair with the best draught will win twenty points to their house, for each partner,” Professor Slughorn announced as the students took their seats. Lily and Severus grinned at each other, but the rest of the class grumbled. These in-class competitions always ended the same way, with the top students taking an easy victory.

“Oh-ho! I know what you’re thinking: Miss Evans and Mr. Snape got it in the bag, haven’t they? Well, we’re going to mix things up a bit and separate the pair, that way you’ll have a better shot.” Slughorn winked at his top students. This announcement caused the atmosphere to brighten a little as the other students hurried to get to work, now that they had motivation.

“Shall we give a less, ah, experienced pair a chance to have some help?” Slughorn glanced around the room. “Ah, Black and Potter, why don’t you pair up with these two?”

Sirius and James, who had been goofing off in a corner, as usual, were not paying any attention to Slughorn. They looked up when their names were called.

“Mr. Black, you can partner with Miss Evans, and Mr. Potter with Mr. Snape.” Slughorn beamed at the four of them as if he were doing them a favor and walked away. James and Severus stared at each other, horrified.

“Switch with me!” James hissed to Sirius, glaring at Severus.

“You want me to work with Snivellus instead of lovely Miss Evans over here?” Sirius grinned. “Sorry, mate, you heard the professor!”

“You-”

James was evidently about to call Sirius a very unpleasant name, for he immediately stopped talking when Slughorn appeared again.

“Any problems, boys? You should be getting started!”

James mumbled something incoherent under his breath and reluctantly sat down beside Severus.

“Don’t touch anything,” Severus snapped at James. “I’ll do it.” He started looking over the instructions, scribbling notes in his book as he went, his nose pressed to his book. James folded his arms and leaned back in his chair, watching Sirius and Lily’s progress across the room.

“So it says here we need the juice of three Sopophorous Beans,” Sirius said, peering at the instructions in his book. He grabbed a bean and tried to cut it up, but the bean slipped from under his knife and jumped up to land in Lily’s hair. Lily laughed.

“You have to crush it with the flat side of the blade,” she informed Sirius, pulling the bean out of her hair. “Here, why don’t you read me the instructions and I’ll do it. I don’t know about you, but I want those class points.”









“That was torture,” Snape grumbled as he and Lily walked from Potions class to dinner. He and James had spent the entire double period in silence, shooting glares at each other while Snape worked on the potion on his own.

Lily shrugged. Surprisingly, she had found that working with Sirius was not all that torturous; in fact, it was almost enjoyable. Sirius was quite funny, and he was actually helpful with their work. The pair of them had earned forty points to Gryffindor by the end of the period.

“Well, you lived, didn’t you?” Lily said brightly. She was in a good mood now that there were no classes to get through before Quidditch practice, and she was not going to let Severus bring her down. “I wish you were coming to Hogsmeade with us. I heard that Honeydukes got a huge shipment of new chocolates that they’re putting out for the first time this weekend.” Lily glanced at Severus to see if she could persuade him to change his mind.

Severus sighed. “To be honest, I kind of wish I was going too. But I promised Avery.” He gave Lily a small smile and bade her good-bye to sit at the Slytherin table.

Lily took a seat next to her best friend at the Gryffindor table. “Hey, Mary,” she greeted her.

“Hi, Lily.” Mary smiled at her. “Great job in potions today. How did your new partnership go?”

Lily shrugged. “It wasn’t bad.” She piled food onto her plate. “Actually, it was kind of fun working with Sirius. Plus, we got forty points to Gryffindor, instead of twenty to us and twenty to Slytherin like Sev and I would’ve gotten.”

“Also, it made James really mad to see you having fun with Sirius while he and Severus were pouting,” Mary offered lightly. “So that’s a plus.”

Lily grinned. “Was he really?”

“He knocked a whole pile of Valerian roots that Severus had cut up into the cauldron. Severus nearly strangled him.”

Lily’s ringing laugh echoed through the Hall. “I’ll bet!”

“You have Quidditch practice tonight, don’t you?” Mary inquired.

Lily nodded. “I think I can make it through an hour of him if it means I can get up in the air.”

“You know, James or not, you really should have joined Quidditch. They definitely need you, we already lost to Ravenclaw. And that was with James catching the Snitch, too.”

“Ugh, that was a terrible game. Don’t worry, I plan on flattening Hufflepuff.” Lily grinned. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to head down to the pitch a little early and warm up. See you!” she called over her shoulder as she exited the Great Hall.

Lily headed straight out the door through the Entrance Hall and out on the grounds. She was alone and unnoticed, as the rest of the students and faculty were still at dinner. She set off for the Quidditch pitch at a fast walk which quickly turned into a run, her hair whipping behind her in the crisp winter air as she ran.

“Accio broom,” she said breathlessly once she reached the pitch, her wand pointed towards the castle. She caught her breath while she waited for her Silver Arrow as it zoomed from her dormitory window to where she stood. Lily mounted it, kicking off the ground and rising into the air.

The sensation she received immediately upon leaving the ground was the most wonderful feeling Lily had ever experienced. She was above the world, flying around the Quidditch pitch in a blur of speed. She pulled up slightly on the handle, rising higher and higher above the pitch until she had disappeared into the thick fog of clouds. Then, suddenly, she dived straight down at an incredible speed, pulling up just before she touched the ground. She looped easily around the field, flying in and out of the goalposts. It was such a peaceful feeling, Lily wished that nothing would ever interrupt her and she could float above the world forever.

Unfortunately, it was not a perfect world.

“Oi!”

Lily looked down at the ground far below her when she heard the voice that floated up to catch her attention. She was not entirely surprised to see James standing below her, mounting his own broom. In a moment, he had caught up to where she was hovering in the sky.

“Hey, Evans.” James grinned at Lily. Her windswept hair was blowing around her face, her cheeks flushed from the night air. Her eyes were bright, not even James could ruin the high she got from flying.

“Hi, James.” Lily brushed her hair out of her face. Her greeting was much more civil than the annoyed tone she automatically took up when addressing him.

The two of them remained in the air, sharing a brief moment of peace from their usual bickering. Lily leaned back on her broom and sighed contentedly, her eyes closed.

“You miss this, don’t you?” James’ soft tone was so different from his usual jaunty speech that Lily opened her eyes in surprise.

“Yeah,” Lily admitted quietly. “I do.”

“Look, Lily, I know that you’re... well...” His hand brushed through his hair absentmindedly as his voice trailed off. “Well, you know, if you wanted, you could always join the team permanently.”

Lily paused a moment before responding. “I don’t know, James. I mean, I didn’t try out, I don’t think it’d really be fair.”

James chuckled. “Come on, Lil, everyone knows you’re the best chaser we’ve got. I don’t think anyone would mind. Well, Roger might, especially when I tell him he’s been replaced...”

Lily laughed, throwing her head back so that her long hair rippled down her back. Just then, they were interrupted by the arrival of the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

It was a successful practice; the addition of Lily to the team seemed to inspire the others to play their best, and as a result, everyone performed well. The team ended the practice on a high note and returned to the ground.

“Great job everyone, we’re going to do really well against Hufflepuff next week,” James called out to the team. Lily returned the Quaffle to its holding place and then turned to follow the rest of the team out of the pitch.

“Hey Lily, wait up a second?” Lily looked back to see James wrestling with one of the Bludgers, forcing it into it’s straps. “There,” he said triumphantly, and caught up with Lily.

“What’s up, James?”

James shrugged. “Just didn’t really want to walk by myself. Scared of the dark, you know.” He grinned at her. “Good practice, by the way, you were excellent.”

Lily smiled. “Thanks. It felt good to be back out there.”

The walk back to the Gryffindor Common Room was mostly quiet; the pair was not entirely sure what to say to each other. Their brief conversations about Quidditch or classes felt a little unnatural, since they were so used to quarreling.

“So, uh, I’ll see you in Hogsmeade tomorrow, maybe?” He asked uncertainly once they’d reached the Common Room.

“Sure, maybe,” Lily said. “Night, James.” She ascended the steps leading toward her dormitory.

“Goodnight, Lily,” James called softly up the stairs after her.


Lily sat at the end of her four poster bed. There were a few other girls chatting in the room, but Lily pulled a book out and pretended to read it so as to not be disturbed. But really, Lily was thinking about the surprising Quidditch practice she had just had. Although it felt natural for her to despise James, he acted so different from his usual cocky self when they were at practice. He had been almost... a gentleman. It felt weird for Lily to admit that to herself. Unnatural, almost. But truthfully, she had actually slightly enjoyed James’ company. In a mix of happy and confused thoughts, Lily lay back on her pillow and allowed sleep to take her.

Meanwhile, James had remained in the nearly empty Common Room, pausing to stand by the fire for a moment. He wanted to collect his thoughts before he returned to his dormitory, where Sirius and Remus would undoubtedly be waiting to harass him about Lily. The time he had spent with Lily tonight had been so... civil, it had thrown James off guard. More than civil, actually, it was downright pleasant. For the first time, he had not felt as though Lily was disgusted by his very existence. It was surprising, in the best way possible. Feeling entirely content, James took the steps up to his dormitory two at a time.
End Notes:
Hey guys!

Just to let you know~ if you want to suggest any technical changes that would make the story more readable (formatting and such), I would definitely appreciate that. I'm really new to this whole thing, I'm still learning the ropes.

And, of course, any other suggestions at all are welcome!

Thanks!

Peacock Tails and Firewhiskey by StarkidSkyler
Saturday morning arrived, and the castle buzzed with the usual excitement that came with a Hogsmeade trip. First and second year students looked wistfully on as third years and above were checked by Filch at the Entrance Hall to make sure they had permission before they set off for the little wizarding town on the outskirts of the Hogwarts grounds. Outside, a blanket of white clouds completely covered the sky, but snow had not yet begun to fall. Everyone was thankful, for the air was already chilly enough. Students hugged their jackets around their bodies and tucked their scarves around their necks as they headed out for their weekend outing.

Lily and Mary walked together, huddling so as to use their bodies for heat.

“Where to first?” Lily asked her friend, surveying the brightly lit shops of Hogsmeade.

“I don’t know about you, but I am in desperate need of a Butterbeer,” Mary answered, pointing at the Three Broomsticks on their right. The two girls hurried into the welcome warmth of the heavily populated bar.

A few things happened right upon their arrival. As they walked in, there was a sudden flash of smoke from the middle of the large pub. It was followed by an explosion of laughter from the students around it. Lily and Mary looked up in surprise as they were about to order their drinks.

“Wait here,” Lily said to Mary as she went off to investigate the scene.

Lily pushed her way through the students. When she got to the source of the commotion, James was standing there along with a small, shy, blonde third year Lily recognized as Jeffrey Marks. Except Jeffery was sporting a full-sized peacock’s tail and a very red face.

“James Potter!” Lily shouted above all the laughing in James’ face, who was wiping the tears out of his eyes.

“Oh hey, Evans, have you met Jeff here?” James gestured to the boy standing awkwardly beside him.

“James Potter, you are an arrogant arse.” Lily said coolly.

James’ laughing subsided as he took in Lily’s infuriated attitude. “Oh come on, Evans, we’re just having a bit of fun.” He socked Jeffrey lightly on the arm. Jeffrey showed no response, but stared fixedly at the floor.

“Sure, at his expense.” Lily glared at James. “Why don’t you pick on someone your own size?”

“Come on, it was funny. A joke. Haven’t you ever heard of joking?”

Lily’s only response was another dirty glare, before she grabbed the third year by the arm and turned on her heel to leave. “Come on,” she murmured to him, “let’s get you to Zonko’s, I’m sure they’ll be able to set you right.” Lily and Jeffrey left the pub, Mary catching up with them quickly.

“James?” Mary asked in an exasperated tone.

Lily just nodded, still infuriated. She fast-walked to Zonko’s, forgetting the cold and her unbuttoned coat, practically dragging Jeffrey along in the process. Once they reached the joke shop, Lily explained the predicament to the store owner, who, thankfully, knew how to fix it.

“I know you think James is a jerk,” Mary said quietly as they browsed the aisles in Zonko’s. Lily was staring at the shelves, not really seeing anything. “but he really seems to have you all in a tizzy this time.”

Lily sighed. “I know. It’s just that after last night... I mean, I actually thought... he might not be that bad, you know? And obviously, he’s so... I don’t know what I was thinking. It must have been the altitude.”

Mary laughed. “You know James. He loves attention too much to behave in public.”

Lily nodded. That much was certainly true. James had been a completely different person when he was alone with her. Was he just putting on a show to get her to like him? Or was that James being himself, and he put on the show for everyone else? Lily frowned. Either way, she did not like the person James was when he went around hexing people for the fun of it.

Mary interrupted Lily’s thoughts. “Now can we please go get some Butterbeer?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Severus.”

Avery’s cold voice echoed softly through the dungeons. Severus had been lost in his thoughts, which, as usual, had been focused on Lily. He had been remembering their last Potions class. Images of Lily and Sirius working together in a friendly manner still remained in the back of his mind, and, skilled Occlumens though he was, it was difficult for him to forget. Lily always talked about how much she hated James and Sirius. She swore that she loathed their arrogant manner, but there she had been, laughing and working with Sirius as if they were... friends. And although Severus did not despise Sirius as much as he did James, the two Gryffindors were cut from the same stone. If Lily somehow came to the conclusion that Sirius was worthy of her friendship, how could she keep James as an enemy? Was there a chance that she and James might actually become friends?

Severus inwardly seethed. This thought he could not stand. James, his sworn enemy, the one person he hated more than anyone, friends with Lily? His Lily? He knew James fancied Lily. He watched him try, over and over, to gain her affection. Each time, Severus was relieved when she refused him. But would she always refuse him? For some reason, Lily was not entranced by James’ cocky charm that had all the other girls competing for his attention. Severus’ worst fear, the feat that haunted at night, was that one day Lily would not be able to resist James’ advances anymore. That one day she would succumb to his flattery, his bold jokes, his Quidditch talent. Severus felt that he would rather die than see that day come.

“Severus. You’re going to do it.”

Avery’s voice brought him out of his reverie, back to the dark corner of the dungeons near the Slytherin Common Room where he was lurking with Avery and Mulciber. They could hear the faint advancing footsteps of a second year boy named Alex Kirkwald, the boy who had absentmindedly sat on the parcel of sweets Avery’s parents had sent him at home during breakfast the past week. Severus looked at the small slip of paper Avery was holding out to him, on which an incantation was written for a spell that would do something very unpleasant to young Alex, though Severus did not know what because he had not been listening.

Severus knew the boy did not deserve it, whatever was going to happen to him. He did not want to do it, he wanted to leave and let the boy alone. Avery was looking at him as though he knew what Severus was thinking. The power play between Severus and Avery was ongoing; Severus was the brilliant one, the talented one. However, Avery was cruel, and unyielding. His cold stare was daring Severus, egging him on while showing disbelief that Severus would.

Severus was angry. The thoughts of Lily and James were still running through his head. His hatred of James for being everything that he was not pulsed through his veins. Severus let his thoughts consume him; he ignored his reserve and took the slip of paper from Avery, uttering the incantation as he unleashed his dark anger on the unsuspecting boy.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




“James, would you quit pouting?” Sirius gave an exaggerated eye roll for the benefit of his friend sitting across the table at the Three Broomsticks.

James was sitting back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest. “She’s so... ridiculous.”

Sirius shrugged. “If she’s so ridiculous, why don’t you stop obsessing about her?”

“I’m not obsessing.” James glared at Sirius. “She didn’t have to embarrass me like that. It was just a joke. It was funny. Right, Remus?”

James glanced over at Remus, who had been quietly sipping his Butterbeer. James always looked to Remus when it came to ethical issues. Remus’ stamp of approval was all he needed to feel confident in his actions, for the observant, thoughtful Gryffindor could always be counted on to recognize right from wrong.

Remus sighed. “Well, you’ve done worse.” He leaned back in his chair, taking time before he spoke, as he always did. Remus had a way of speaking that commanded attention, a natural manner about him that indicated that whatever he was going to say was worth hearing. “But I don’t think Lily was completely wrong in sticking up for Jeffery.”

James drummed his fingers on the table, thinking about what Remus had said. He had not pranked the third-year out of cruelty. He had just done it for a laugh. That was what he and Sirius did, they made their classmates laugh. Everyone else appreciated his jokes. Why couldn’t Lily?

“Why does she have to be so damn righteous all the time?” James groaned. “Why can’t she just have some fun.”

“Look, mate.” Sirius looked James in the eye. “Lily is very pretty. But honestly, you need to move on. Find another girl, maybe one who doesn’t hate your guts.”

James paused, looking down at the floor. “But she’s not just pretty,” he said quietly. “She’s not just another girl. She’s different.”

James looked up. Seeing Remus’ scrutinizing gaze, he wished he had not spoken. Sirius was frowning at him, his eyebrows furrowing together, as though he was having a hard time understanding what James was saying. Even Peter’s watery eyes reflected concern. James sighed and rested his head on the his hand.

“James...”

“I’m going to go get some more Butterbeer.” James stood up quickly, cutting off whatever insight to James’ emotions that Remus was about to utter. “You guys want something?”

“Yeah, try and score me a Firewhiskey,” Sirius said breezily, leaning back in his chair and kicking his feet up on the table.

“I’ll have a Butterbeer,” squeaked Peter.

On his way up to the bar, James spotted Bethany and her friends sitting at a table near the entrance. He was still feeling slightly guilty that their date had not lived up to her expectations. After his scene with Lily, Bethany had taken James’ moody attitude as her cue to dismiss herself to find her friends. Though James was relieved, since he did not really feel like entertaining a date in the mood he was in, he still felt bad. He forced a grin and waved at her from across the pub.

“Hey, Rosie, you’re looking good today,” James said to the young bartender, Madam Rosmerta, who was cleaning glasses with her back to him. She turned around, hand on her hip, when James addressed her.

“Rosie? Really?” She rolled her eyes but still gave James a smile. “What’d you need, hun?”

“That’ll be two Firewhiskeys and a Butterbeer, please.” James flashed her his handsome grin from across the bar.

The bartender cocked an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? How about we make that three Butterbeers and you don’t call me Rosie again.”

James pouted. “Come on, Rosmerta, I need to drink away my problems.”

Rosmerta snorted. “I work in a bar, kid. I can tell you that never works.” She pulled out two glasses from underneath the bar. “Lady trouble?”

“Yeah...”

“Anything to do with that pretty little thing who told you off a while ago?”

James just nodded glumly.

“Well, if you want my advice, I’d say that girl doesn’t seem like she’ll be fooled by any of your tricks. So maybe you should try another tactic.” Madam Rosmerta pushed the glasses towards James. “Now, if anyone asks how you got Firewhiskey, we’ll say you Confunded me,” she said with a wink.
End Notes:
Sorry about the delay, my dear readers- I have not forgotten you, I promise! I've written up until chapter six during the queue closure, and I've mapped out the story to be about seventeen chapters. I feel bad that this chapter is not more exciting, since there has been such a long wait, but things should start picking up. Thanks for bearing with me! -Skyler
A Festive Occasion by StarkidSkyler
Author's Notes:
Sorry guys! It's been a while. I hope you forgive me for being M.I.A. and enjoy this chapter!


The buzz of excitement and anticipation that had preceded the Hogsmeade outing had settled into a tone of calm content by the next morning. It was the last day before many of the students were to head home for the holiday break, and a Christmas feast was planned for that night. Though the air was still brisk, the sun had made a welcome appearance and many were taking advantage of this to spend the afternoon out on the grounds. Unburdened by homework or studies, the students of Hogwarts were enjoying a lazy Sunday.

Lily and Mary were returning from socializing outside the castle. They raced each other up the steps to the warmth of the Entrance Hall where they paused to catch their breath, panting and laughing at the same time.

–Severus!” Lily spotted her dark-haired friend across the hall, heading down to the dungeons. He was accompanied by Avery and Mulciber as usual, along with a few other Slytherin seventh years. Severus turned to greet her, with a glance at the group of boys that paused to wait for him.

–Sev, I got you some of those new quills you needed.” Lily rifled through her bag, pulling out some quills and handing them to Severus. –Early Christmas present,” she said with a grin.

–Maybe I should get a Mudblood to do my shopping for me, too,” Avery said to the boys next to him, speaking in a low, carrying voice that was meant for all to hear. Mary let out an audible gasp, but Lily did no more than throw the dreadful Slytherin a dark look.

–Mary and I going to go visit in the kitchens, want to come?” Lily offered. Her invitation was pointed; she did not approve of Severus’ company, and she was offering him a way out.

Severus paused. Truthfully, he did want to accompany them. But the judgemental Slytherins standing behind him made it difficult for Severus to accept Lily’s offer. He knew that if he started choosing to spend time with a Gryffindor Muggle-born over them, he would be instantly demoted from his position of power in the group to a potential victim.

–I can’t, sorry, I’m busy,” Severus mumbled, avoiding Lily’s gaze. He could vividly picture her pursed lips and disapproving glance toward the other Slytherins.

–All right. I’ll see you at the feast, maybe.” The initial friendliness of Lily’s tone had hardened into brief civility. She turned and walked towards Mary, leaving Severus with his friends. Severus watched as she walked away before reluctantly turning to leave with the rest of the Slytherins.

Lily and Mary walked down to the kitchens in silence. Lily was lost in her own thoughts, thinking about the way Severus had been acting lately. Their friendship which had started out so effortless, so comfortable, had started to feel strained. Severus was the person who knew Lily the best; they had been close friends since their first year at Hogwarts. For so long, Severus was the only person who Lily could really talk to, and she always confided in him. The distance that had begun to grow between them ever since Severus had gotten involved with Avery made Lily uneasy; she hoped it was just a phase, a bump in the road.

–Just forget about him, Lily.” Mary’s quiet voice suddenly interrupted her thoughts. Lily looked up at her in surprise. –Can’t you just forget about Severus?” Mary repeated, her tone almost pleading.

Lily did not reply. She knew she could not easily erase Severus, who she had grown up with, from her life.

–I’m serious, Lily,” Mary said darkly. –I know you and Severus have been friends forever, and I know I shouldn’t be telling you who to be friends with. But I just... I just don’t think he deserves you as his friend.” Her voice was hesitant as she finished, and she watched Lily for her reaction.

For a few moments, Lily did not react. Mary was not one to force her opinions on others, and she hardly ever made a comment about Lily’s choice of companionship. Mary was quiet, she usually kept her thoughts to herself unless prompted to do otherwise. Lily knew that Mary was not fond of Severus, no matter how pleasant she seemed in his company. However, Lily felt she owed it to Severus to give him a chance to redeem himself. It was not really fair to shun someone after one or two mistakes, was it? On the other hand, she did not like the person who Severus became when he was with his Slytherin friends.

Lily groaned. –Why can’t people just choose one personality, and stick with it? Why do they have to keep switching all the time? It’s exhausting.”

Mary smiled sadly. –Some people are just easily influenced.”

–Well, that’s stupid.”







At six o’clock in the evening, the activity about the Hogwarts castle had dwindled greatly. The majority of the girls had whisked themselves away to their respective dormitories to prepare themselves for the Christmas feast. Dumbledore had suggested that the event was made a formal one, and all of the students were wearing their dress robes. Many of the male students, seeing no need to allot more than ten minutes to get ready for dinner, were lounging about in the Common Rooms, the four Marauders included.

Sirius was laying on his side by the fireplace, pointing his wand surreptitiously at an unaware Peter. Peter was sitting at a desk, muttering himself as he did his homework, occasionally asking Remus to help him. For some reason Peter did not understand, his quill kept flying out of his hand.

–So, Prongs, did you and Evans kiss and make up?” Sirius said calmly, striking up a conversation with James to cover his amusement at Peter’s growing frustration.

James sighed. –Operation get-Lily-to-fall-desperately-in-love-with-me is not going as well as I’d hoped, actually.”

–What’s the next plan of attack?” Sirius inquired.

James just shrugged dejectedly as he watched as Peter struggled with his quill.

–Maybe it’s time to abort,” Sirius suggested, grinning. –We can find you a less stubborn target.”

–The Ministry Decree was in 1631, not 1613,” Remus murmured to Peter, keeping a straight face all the while.

–What the bloody hell!” Peter shrieked, throwing his quill on the floor forcefully. His bewilderment only grew as his three friends responded with an outbreak of roaring laughter.

–Come on, let’s go pretty ourselves,” Sirius said as Peter sat down sheepishly.

–Right behind you, Padfoot.” James and Sirius led the way to the boys’ dormitories, Remus and Peter following behind them.

The four boys changed into their dress robes, all wearing different colors as had been previously decided. James was sporting a smart black ensemble, Sirius in dark purple, Remus wearing navy blue, and Peter in olive green. With a final ruffle of the hair and fixing of the collar, they deemed themselves ready and returned down to the Common Room.

–Do you think everyone else is down now? It’s almost six thirty,” James wondered, checking his watch.

–The girls are probably still fixing their hair,” Sirius commented with a roll of his eyes.

James grinned. –Yeah. Well, let’s head-”

James looked up, and promptly forgot to finish his sentence.

Although James never failed to appreciate how attractive Lily was, he could still feel his jaw drop slightly. She was wearing lavender dress robes which accentuated the creamy color of her skin and set off a beautiful contrast to her dark red hair. Her hair was pulled back from her face in a braid that began at the top of her head and extended past her shoulders. With her hair pulled back, her bright, emerald green eyes were displayed clearly, and James was ready to swear that they were the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen.

–Looking good, girls,” Sirius greeted the two girls, flashing them a handsome grin. –Hey look, Remus, you and Mary match!” Sirius gestured towards the light blue dress robes Mary was wearing as she blushed a light pink. Remus gave her a warm smile, and offered her his arm.

–Shall we?” Remus suggested, and the group made their way towards the portrait hole.

–New target, remember?” Sirius muttered to James, who was still rendered speechless. James said nothing but followed them out of the portrait hole.

When they reached the Great Hall, a festive sight met their eyes. The Hall was elaborately decorated, featuring ornate Chistmas trees, silver tinsel, and a clear, starry sky for the ceiling. Peeves could be seen hanging mistletoe, humming tunelessly to himself. The four house tables had disappeared, and were replaced instead by many smaller, circular tables seating eight or ten people dispersed throughout the Hall. Each table had trays of food in the center, which magically switched to display various dishes every few minutes.

–They really outdid themselves, didn’t they?” Mary remarked, impressed, as she took a seat next to Remus at one of the tables. Lily sat on her other side, and Sirius quickly took the seat next to her before James could. James raised an eyebrow, but Sirius just gave him a pointed look and a head tilt toward a table of seventh year girls seated near them. James just rolled his eyes and sat across from them next to Peter.

–Welcome, students and professors!” Dumbledore’s voice boomed through the Great Hall, which was nearly full. He beamed at them from the teachers’ table, which had also been substituted by a large circular one. –We are celebrating the culmination of a great term and the commencement of an even better one. Let us enjoy our time together before we part ways for the holiday season. And now, tuck in!”

Not needing a second invitation, the students gladly piled food on their plates.

–Not to downplay your mum’s cooking, James, but I’ll definitely miss eating like this over the holidays,” Sirius said between mouthfuls.

James grinned. –My mum is not exactly known for her cooking,” he agreed.

Lily felt something collide with her shin under the table. –Ow!” she exclaimed involuntarily.The occupants of the table all looked at her expectantly. –Oh, uh, I bit my tongue. Whoops.”

After everyone returned to their dinners, Lily looked at Mary accusingly. –That hurt,” she whispered.

–By the door,” Mary’s responded under her breath. Lily looked up, and saw Severus standing next to the door, trying to get her attention without being obvious. When their eyes met, he jerked his head outside towards the Entrance Hall and then disappeared through the door.

Lily gave an exasperated sigh. –If you’ll excuse me, I need to use the restroom,” she said, getting up to leave the table. Lily walked out the Great Hall to where Severus was waiting on the outskirts of the Entrance Hall.

–What is it?” Lily asked when she reached him.

–I, er, I just wanted to talk to you,” Severus responded anxiously. He was wearing a set of dark green robes that looked as though they had been worn many times before.

Lily said nothing but raised her eyebrows, waiting for him to continue.

–You seemed mad this morning,” Severus went on hesitantly, –and I just wanted to apologize.”

Lily pursed her lips. –You know, Sev, part of being sorry is resolving to never do it again.”

Severus dropped his gaze. –I didn’t mean...”

–Severus, I’m your friend. You’re supposed to stand up for me, like I always do for you. Whenever you’re with your Slytherin... –friends,” you act like you’re ashamed of me.”

Severus bit his lip but did not respond.

–Is that it?” Lily asked after a moment, her voice lowering. –Are you ashamed of me because I’m a Mudblood?”

Severus looked up quickly. –Don’t say that, Lily, you’re not-”

–Why shouldn’t I?” Lily asked coolly. –You did. Remember?”

–I know, and I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it-”

–Every time your friends call me a Mudblood and you just sit there and let them, you’re agreeing with them.”

–I’ll ask them to stop, Lily, I will!” Severus’ look was pleading. –Please don’t be mad.”

Lily paused. –Severus...”

–I’m sorry, Lily, I really am.”

Lily sighed. –All right, I forgive you.”

Severus looked elated. –Thank you, Lily.”

Lily smiled, though it did not reach her eyes. –Go back to the feast, Sev, I’ll see you next term.” The two embraced briefly before Severus turned and headed out to the Great Hall.

Lily remained behind, sitting on the bottom step of one of the staircases, a small groan eliciting from her lips. She did want to forgive Severus, but she felt little relief now that she had. All she wanted was for everything to go back to the way it used to be. However, she did not know if it could.

–Lily?”

Lily looked up in surprise to see James standing near the door. She gave no response, but let her head slip back into her hands. She heard James’ footsteps as he crossed the Hall to sit beside her.

–Rough time in the potty?” James’ voice was so sincere that Lily could not help but laugh out loud.

–Oh, shut up,” she said, but she was smiling despite herself.

–See, I am funny,” James said triumphantly.

–You have your moments... very occasionally.”

–What a compliment.”

Lily grinned. –Well, coming from me...”

James chuckled. –Coming from you, that’s like saying ‘I love you’.”

Lily’s laughter melted away into a brief silence. Neither spoke; after a moment, Lily rose.

–Well, we should probably head back.” Her eyes met James’, and their gaze held for just a moment before she turned and started walking towards the door to the Great Hall.

–Lily?”

She turned to see that James was standing, but he had not followed her towards the door. He hesitated before speaking.

–You look beautiful,” he murmured quietly. Then he walked past her and through the door before Lily could react.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? by StarkidSkyler
Lily lay on her bed, papers strewn around her. The papers were all letters she had received from Mary over the course of the holiday break. The most recent was from just that morning. It read:

Dear Lily,

Sometimes I think you are too forgiving for your own good. I know you feel you owe it to Severus to give him another chance, but how many chances are you going to grant him? Longevity is not a substitute for quality when it comes to friendships. I’m not going to tell you what to do, I just want to express my concern for your well-being.

That being said, since you are planning on forgiving Severus, would it be so hard to extend the same gesture to James? No matter how many stupid things he has done, his arrogance has always been harmless. Maybe he’s the one who deserves a chance to show you that he is growing up.

Maybe you need to accept that people can change. You’re a person who has grown up knowing who you are and how you want to act, but not everyone finds themselves so easily. Especially boys. My overall advice? To accept the possibility that someone may not be who you think they are.

Love always,
Mary

p.s. Good luck at dinner tonight! I hope everything goes well.


Lily had a clean paper in front of her and a pen in her hand, but she did not know what to write. Mary’s words were so accurate that Lily almost did not want to accept it. She knew Mary was right; she should give James a chance. But how easy was it to get along with someone you have sworn to loathe for all eternity? James had shown that he was capable of kindness and even gentleness, but he had also shown that he was incapable of letting anyone else see this. It was the cocky front he put on that irritated Lily to no end.

–Lily!” Mrs. Evan’s voice floated down the hall to Lily’s room. –Lily, Vernon’s here!”

Lily sighed, tossing her pen on the floor as she got up to go greet their house guest. She glanced at her reflection in her mirror briefly, wondering if she looked –normal” enough for Petunia. However, Lily knew this was something she would never achieve, so she accepted defeat with a shrug and walked down the hallway.

Standing awkwardly near the door along with Lily’s parents and sister was a young man of about twenty years. Vernon Dursley was a plump little man with dark beady eyes and seemingly no neck. Standing next to her boyfriend, Petunia looked even more thin and bony. He seemed, Lily noted, deliciously normal, which was most likely the reason Petunia was attracted to him

–Hi, Vernon,” Lily greeted him with a smile, extending her hand. –I’m Lily, Tun- uh, Petunia’s sister.” Lily caught herself before using the childhood nickname she always used for her sister; she was determined for everything to go as smoothly as possible. Ever since she had started attending Hogwarts, her relationship with Petunia had become strained. Although they were close growing up, it was as if a wall had formed between the two. Petunia had hardly spoken to Lily ever since she had been back except to instruct her not to do anything –weird” or –unnatural” when Vernon came for dinner.

The dinner was a quiet one; Vernon did not have much to say, and for the most part Petunia did the talking. He merely grunted in agreement in between mouthfuls as Petunia gave Vernon’s life story.

Not until they had moved on to dessert did Vernon find his voice, launching into a dreadful monologue about his work and how he was doing humanity a large favor by selling them drills. Lily’s eyelids began to droop out of utter boredom. She had not even realized that she had dozed off in her seat until she received a sharp kick to the ankle underneath the table.

–Oh!” Lily started awake, completely knocking over her dish of chocolate ice cream so that it landed with a satisfactory splat on her clean white blouse. Petunia was shooting daggers at her from across the table.

–Dreadfully clumsy, sorry,” Lily mumbled, trying to clean most of the dessert off of the front of her shirt. –If you’ll excuse me.” She rose quickly from her chair and headed towards her bedroom to change her shirt.

Once out of sight, Lily let out a heavy sigh. It seemed that no matter how hard she tried to fix her relationship with her sister, she always found a way to mess it up. Being with Petunia was like walking on thin ice; it was all Lily could do to keep from giving Petunia cause to despise her.

Lily threw open the door to her room, but before she could enter it, she was greeted by a rush of feathers streaking past her and down the hall.

–Ferdinand!” Lily groaned in exasperation. She turned and took off at a sprint after her owl, but he was too fast for her. When she reached the dinning room, chaos had already ensued.

Petunia’s shrill shriek rang through the small house at the sight of the creature. Lily’s parents had jumped to their feet and were hastily attempting to shoo the owl towards a window, but Ferdinand was flying in blurry circles around their heads, confused by the commotion.
–What the- ARGHHHHH!” Vernon let out a yell as Ferdinand’s talon became caught in his hair, but Ferdinand did not cease flapping his wings and hooting incessantly. Vernon waved his hands above his head aggressively, trying frantically to bat the owl away from him.

–Don’t hurt him!” Lily dashed over to Vernon’s chair to prevent him from doing her pet any damage. She quickly untangled Ferdinand’s foot from Vernon’s hair, but not before Ferdinand left with considerable chunk of it. The brown owl flew swiftly out of the open window with a loud hoot.

The scene the owl left behind could have been considered almost comical. Chocolate ice cream dripped down the front of Lily’s shirt. Petunia’s expression was murderous, and it was directed at Lily. And finally, Vernon standing with his previously well-combed hair standing straight up on his head. For a moment, no one spoke, then Vernon hesitantly broke the silence.

–Well- er, thank you for having me, I think I’ll be going...” his voice trailed off awkwardly. He took his coat from the hook by the door.

–Thank you for coming, Vernon, dear, I hope we’ll be seeing you again,” Mrs. Evans’ said kindly as she opened the door to let him out.

–I’ll see you at work, Petunia,” Vernon said before quickly departing.

Petunia was motionless, the forced smile she had plastered on her face for Vernon’s benefit vanishing as soon as the door shut.

Lily bit her lip. –Petunia...” she started uncertainly.

–What is wrong with you?” Petunia’s voice shook with rage as she faced her sister. –Was one dinner too much for me to expect from you? One night out of my whole life where you could at least try to pretend to be remotely normal?”

–I’m sorry, it was an-”

–Don’t tell me it was an accident! The only accident was the day you were born!”

–Petunia!” Lily heard her mother gasp.

–But Tuney, I really didn’t mean-”

–DO NOT CALL ME THAT!” Petunia shrieked in Lily’s face. – You are a freak, Lily Renee Evans, a stick-twirling, cape-wearing FREAK, and I want nothing to do with you as long as I live!”

Her harsh words still hanging in the air, Petunia turned on her heel to go into her bedroom, slamming the door shut with surprising force. Lily was left in stunned silence.
–You’re not a freak, darling.” Lily felt her mother’s reassuring touch as she put her hand gently on her shoulder. –She’ll come around, I know she will.”

–When? It’s been five years, Mum, five years and we’ve hardly spoken.”

Mrs. Evans sighed. –I’ll go talk to her.”

Lily shrugged. It was pointless. –I’m going out.”

Neither of her parents responded, there was no need to ask where she was going. Lily grabbed her sweater and left without another word.

It was not until she was out in the cool evening air that Lily felt she could finally breathe again. She took deep, steadying breaths as she cut through her small backyard to the deserted playground where she and Petunia used to play when they were young. She took the path at the edge of the woods by the river without a conscious thought; her feet had traveled this way so many times it had become natural.

Soon she had reached a small house at the bank of the river. Lily quietly opened the gate to the backyard and let herself in. She went up to the window facing the river and knocked softly on it four times.

The blinds flipped open and she saw the familiar hook-nosed face peering at her. With a flash of recognition, Severus’ expression lifted and he immediately disappeared. In a moment, he was through the back door and standing by her side.

–Hi,” said Severus, a grin on his face. Like Lily, he was dressed in Muggle clothes, jeans and an over-sized black shirt. Lily smiled at him and then they walked to their spot by the river to sit, as they always used to.

Sitting cross-legged across from Severus, Lily remembered the countless times their eleven-year-old selves had assumed the same position as Severus told an awed Lily stories and rumors about Hogwarts. It was so easy, so familiar to be with Severus in this way; Lily could not imagine not having his friendship in her life. The lingering feeling of unease that had remained in her stomach since she had forgiven him gradually disappeared and she was able to once again feel completely comfortable in his company.

–Petunia’s boyfriend came over for dinner,” Lily informed Severus. She continued to recount the story of the disastrous evening, complete with colourful imitations of Vernon’s sputtering and Petunia’s shrieking. Severus had the good grace to look only mildly amused.

–She hates me, Sev, she really does.” Lily pulled a blade of grass and twirled it between her fingers, her shoulders slumping forward miserably.
–You’re her sister, Lily, she can’t hate you,” Severus said softly, his eyebrows forming a frown. Severus had no siblings of his own; his words were understood to be for comfort rather than from experience.

Lily sighed, and let herself fall on her back onto the soft grass. It was damp from the dew that had started to form, but she hardly cared.

–Remember when we used to sit here and make up our own constellations because we didn’t know any real ones?” Lily smiled to herself as she reminisced. Severus lay next to her and chuckled.

–We were rather creative,” he said. –There was that two-headed ogre, the over-sized monkey...”

Lily laughed out loud. –I’m glad we’re friends, Sev,” she said quietly.

Severus turned his head to smile at her. –Me too, Lily.”

–Let’s be friends forever, okay?” Lily said with a grin.

–Always.”









–Come on, James, she’s really cute, I promise!” Sirius pleaded with his best friend. The two boys were sitting in the bedroom they shared, James laying on his bed as he watched Sirius’ attempts at persuasion.

–You’ve barely gone out since we’ve been home,” Sirius complained. –Just come this once, we leave in two days!”

–Why do you need me to go, anyways? It’s not like you need a wing-man, you do just fine on your own,” James said, grinning.

Sirius pouted. –I don’t need you to go, I want you to go. It’s more fun when you’re there.”

–I’m flattered, Padfoot, I really am,” James batted his eyelashes at his friend. –But I don’t really feel like double-dating with you tonight.”

–You haven’t felt like doing anything except sit at home and whine about your girlfriend all of the break.”

–Have I said anything about Lily?” James raised an eyebrow.

–No, but you’ve been thinking about her,” Sirius said with an air of irritation.

James laughed. –My best friend’s a psychic. Okay, how do you know that I’m thinking about her?”

–Because,” Sirius said. –You just sit there and you kind of smile a little and whenever anyone talks to you, you just say –hmm?” dreamily. It’s disgusting.”

James rolled his eyes. –I was thinking about... Quidditch.”

Sirius just gave him a look. –Uh huh. Quidditch.”

–Well, I really like Quidditch, you see.”

This time it was Sirius that gave the eye roll. –Well, I don’t think Quidditch feels the same way about you.”

–Oh, shut it.”

–Seriously, mate,” Sirius said. –Come out with me. Forget about Lily, she’s too uptight for you.”

James glared at Sirius. –Okay, new rule. No derogatory comments about Lily, and no one gets hurt.”

Sirius threw up his hands in surrender. –I swear, James, if you send me out on a date with two pretty girls all to myself, I just might have to kill you.”

–A fate worse than death, I know.”

–James?” James’ mother knocked on the open door to his bedroom before poking her head in. –James, the cat is missing again, keep an eye out for him, will you? I don’t want him getting into the trash again.”

–Eve, tell your boring son to go out with me,” Sirius instructed, crossing his arms as he pouted.

Eve Potter smiled. –Sirius, go tell Henry that I need him to get me some more healing potion for the cat, if we ever find him.” Sirius shrugged and dismissed himself, leaving James alone with his mother.

Mrs. Potter gently pushed James’ hair back from his forehead. –Is something the matter, honey?”

James sighed, his eyes closed, feeling completely soothed by his mother’s caring touch. –It’s nothing, Mum, it’s just this girl.”

Eve gave a wry smile. –That’s not like you, now, is it? She must be some girl.”

James chuckled. –You’d like her.”

–I doubt it.” James’ eyes flew open in surprise at his mother’s words, but she continued with a smile, –How can I be fond of anyone causing my son to mope about like this?”

–I’m not moping, I’m just thinking,” James said defensively.

–Well, stop thinking so much.” His mother rested her hand on his cheek, and he reached up to hold it in his own. –Go out with Sirius, live while you’re still young. You can think when you’re old like me.”

James looked up fondly at his aging mother. Unlike many witches her age, she refrained from taking potions to keep the gray from her hair or the wrinkles from her skin. Instead, she embraced her age, and it agreed with her. Even with the many streaks of gray in her dark, curly hair, and the circles that had formed under her eyes, James thought she still looked beautiful. She her lips never lacked a smile, and her hazel eyes always had a twinkle.

–All right, I’ll go, for you,” James agreed, patting her hand.

–Yes!” Sirius appeared in the doorway, throwing his fist into the air. –Good work, Eve!” James rolled his eyes and his mother laughed.

–Have fun, you two,” she said with a wink as she left the room. –Don’t be too late.”
Anytime by StarkidSkyler
Author's Notes:
Sirius probably shouldn’t be of age yet, seeing as it is their sixth year, but let’s just exercise some creative license and assume he’s a bit on the older side, shall we?

Enjoy, and tell me what you think!

Mary sighed contentedly. –It’s good to be back, isn’t it?” she remarked affectionately.

Lily grinned. –Definitely,” she agreed, looking around at the school she loved. Her departure from home had been tense; coming back to Hogwarts felt like returning to a safe haven where she did not have to worry about the troubles with her sister, because she was too far away to do anything about it. Petunia refused to communicate via owl, just as she refused to participate in anything even remotely related to magic.

–Look, there are the boys!” Mary said, waving across the Great Hall, where everyone had gathered for their welcome-back feast. Lily followed her line of sight to see James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter sitting together at the far end of the table. She followed her friend down the hall submissively, not arguing against going to see the very people she used to swear she would never be friends with.

–Hello, girls!” Sirius greeted them with a wink. Spirits were high; the boys were enjoying their reunion from their time apart over the holidays.

–So this guy was really mad, because Sirius was flirting with his girl, right?” James was in the middle of a story, grinning at Lily and Mary as he continued, –And then he winds back to let Sirius have it, but then his own fist gets him in the face!”

–I love being of age,” Sirius grinned as the other boys erupted with laughter. –You should have seen the look on this guy’s face, I’d have been a goner if he could have controlled his own arms.”

–Typical, your first time being of age outside of Hogwarts and you have some poor bloke beat himself up,” Remus chuckled, shaking his head in a mixture of disapproval and amusement.

Glasses tinkled softly from the staff table, but the sound carried throughout the Great Hall. The boisterous students reluctantly settled down into their respective seats and turned to see Dumbledore standing at his usual place, a warm smile visible beneath his long silver beard.

–I am pleased to welcome all of you back to Hogwarts, I trust the holidays treated you well.” Dumbledore paused as students murmured and giggled in response, and then he continued: –I hope you are all looking forward to another exciting term. I must announce, however, that all scheduled Hogsmeade trips are currently postponed for safety reasons. I think you will all find that there are many interesting things to do inside the castle grounds in the meantime. But for now, let us enjoy each other’s company as we share this delicious meal! Dig in!”

The Hogwarts students gradually returned to their level of noise and excitement as platters loaded with food appeared. Sirius and James lost no time ladling their plates with mounds of rich treats, but Remus picked at the food absentmindedly, his eyebrows pinching together to form a frown.

–Stop looking so worried, Moony,” James said, many of his consonants being lost through his mouthful of food. –I’m sure nothing is wrong.”

–If nothing was wrong, they wouldn’t have canceled Hogsmeade,” Lily pointed out.

Sirius shrugged. –They’re just being extra-careful, you know how Dumbledore is.”

Lily shook her head. –Hogsmeade is very well-protected. Dumbledore wouldn’t have stopped the trips unless there’s real danger.”

–Oh, don’t be so serious all the time, Lil,” James said, dismissing her comments with a wave of his hand.

Lily rolled her eyes at him from across the table. –At least I know how to be serious.”

–At least I know how to take a joke,” James returned with a wink.

Lily frowned at him. –I can take a joke, thank you very much.”

James laughed. –You wouldn’t know a joke if it bit you in the-”

–Lily,” Remus interrupted pointedly. –Don’t forget that we have prefect duties tonight.”

–Oh, shoot, that’s right,” Lily muttered, throwing a glance over her shoulder. –Thanks, Remus. I’ll be right back.” Lily stood up from the table. –And I can take a joke,” she murmured under her breath with a look at James before she took off swiftly in the direction of the Slytherin table.

–Pass the gravy, will you, Prongs?” Sirius nodded at the gravy on the other side of James. –Prongs? JAMES!”

–Ouch!” James yelled, rubbing his arm where Sirius punched him. –What?

–Would you quit watching Lily and her slimy boyfriend long enough to pass the damn gravy?”

James glared at Sirius as he handed him the gravy, intentionally letting some of the hot liquid spill over onto Sirius’ sleeve. Sirius rolled his eyes and wiped his sleeve on James’ robes.

–He’s not her boyfriend.” James seemed to have lost interest in his food, swirling his soup absentmindedly with his spoon. –He’s not, right?” James asked anxiously with a look at Mary.

Mary shrugged. –I don’t think so.”

–He’s just so... slimy. And... he doesn’t deserve her,” James muttered mostly to himself, swirling his soup so fast that it was sloshing out the sides.

Remus sighed. –James-”

–Shh, she’s coming back!” James took out his wand and magicked away the spilled soup. –Act cool.”

Sirius flashed his cocky grin. –I don’t have to act.” James rolled his eyes.

–It’s a good thing you reminded me, Remus, I would have forgotten,” Lily said, sitting back down at her place beside Mary.

–We were just saying that we should all go down to the kitchens sometime this weekend since Hogsmeade isn’t happening,” James said, his hand running through his tousled black hair.

–We were?” Sirius asked with mock innocence, warranting a death glare from James. –Oh yes, I remember.”

–Right, sure,” Lily said distractedly. –Dinner’s nearly through, I want to get my stuff put away before we have to patrol. Want to go get the password from Dumbledore with me, Remus?”

Remus nodded, rising from his seat, and the two prefects bid the others goodbye.












–It’s nearly ten,” Lily noted. –Why don’t we split up at the end of the corridor and make our last rounds before heading to the Common Room?”

–Sure,” Remus replied. The two prefects walked through the deserted hallways, a peaceful silence having settled throughout the usually noisy castle.

–So,” Lily began with a side glance at her fellow prefect. –So... Have you talked to Mary recently?”

Remus met her gaze, his eyebrows raised slightly. –Just at dinner. Why do you ask?”

Lily shrugged, knowing the implications of her question would not go unnoticed by the observant sixth-year at her side. –I don’t know... You two seem to get along well.”

Remus chuckled. –We do get along well.”

Lily grinned at him. –You know what I mean.”

–Do I?”

Lily nudged him playfully. –You should ask her out.”

Remus looked at Lily. She could never decipher his thoughts; his expressions were always so controlled. The two continued to walk in silence, enveloped in their own respective thoughts.

–Think about it,” Lily said when they reached the end of the corridor. –I think she’d like that.”

Remus smiled and bid her good night, turning down the opposite path to the Common Room.

Without Remus’ companionship, the dimly lit halls of the castle felt even more deserted and gloomy to Lily. She was all the way down on the first floor with seven more flights of stairs to ascend before she could finally retire to her bed. The only sounds she could here were the occasional soft snores coming from various portraits, whose occupants were fast asleep.

Lily, in her tired state, was not as alert as usual; she did not notice the faint footsteps until she turned a corner and nearly stumbled into their source.

–Oh!” She gasped, startled. –What- Lumos!”

Her wand tip lit up, illuminating the dark-haired Slytherin and his disgusted scowl.

–Avery,” Lily breathed.

–Get your wand out of my face.”

–No,” Lily said coolly. –What are you doing out of bed?”

–I don’t really feel the need to enlighten you regarding my nighttime activities,” Avery said in a bored tone, his dark eyes glinting with dislike.

–Don’t be smart with me. Ten points from Slytherin,” Lily said with a clenched jaw. –And another ten for being out of bed after hours.”

Avery’s eyes flashed. –I said to get your wand out of my face, Mudblood!”

Lily felt her wand fly out of her hand at Avery’s nonverbal command. He pocketed it smoothly.

–Give me my wand back, you insolent git!” Lily growled at Avery.

Avery said nothing, but his lips curled into a smirk.

– Dumbledore will hear about this,” Lily spat at Avery. –Now give it back!” Lily lunged for his pocket.

–Flipendo!”

Lily felt as if something slammed into her chest, knocking her against the wall where she fell to the ground. She gasped for breath, her head pounding where it had hit the wall.

–Incarcerous.”

Ropes materialized out of nowhere and bound themselves around Lily’s body. She struggled with what little energy she had, but without a wand, her efforts were fruitless.

–How dare you,” Avery’s low voice trembled through the small, dark corridor. –How dare you nearly get your filthy Mudblood hands on me.”

The tightly-bound ropes cut into Lily’s skin, making it so that she could barely catch her breath. The pounding in her head only grew louder, it seemed her entire body throbbed painfully.

–Listen to me, Mudblood.” Avery glowered at her. –You might think you’re safe with your precious Dumbledore looking out for you, but there are things that are much more powerful than that old coot. If you ever threaten me again... you will be sorry.” His eyes flashed dangerously. –Understand?”

Lily looked the floor, avoiding his gaze. Avery pursed his lips.

–Let’s see that the message sticks, shall we?” A wicked smile played on his thin lips. –Cruc-”

–Levicorpus!”

Avery shouted in surprised as his legs swept out from under him and he hung upside down in the air, his wand falling to the floor.

–Wha- Potter!”

James ignored Avery’s curses as he dashed forward to where Lily was slumped against the wall.

–Lily? Diffindo! Lily, are you alright?” James asked with concern as his spell cut the ropes binding Lily.

Lily’s eyes fluttered in relief when the ropes released their tight grip. She reached up a trembling hand to gingerly touch the back of her head where her hair was matted with blood.

–Y-yes, I’ll be... James, look out!”

–Crucio!”

The curse hit James in the chest as he turned to see where Lily was pointing. He was thown into the air with a yell as Avery, still upside down, pointed Lily’s wand at him.

–Stop!” Lily screamed as James writhed in pain on the floor. She spotted Avery’s wand still lying beneath where he was suspended. Just as Avery was landing on the floor, Lily summoned all her strength and threw herself onto the wand, colliding with Avery’s legs. He glared down at her, and opened his mouth to perform a curse-

–Petrificus Totalus!” Lily’s wand was still underneath her, but somehow the spell found its way to the Slytherin. Avery’s mouth snapped shut before the words were out of his mouth and his entire body went rigid, falling to the floor. Lily pulled her wand from his hand, pocketing both hers and Avery’s. Then she rushed over to where James lay on the floor.

–James?” Lily’s voice shook with concern as she pulled James’ limp form over and carefully placed his head in her lap. His eyebrows knitted together in pain and a groan escaped his lips as he stirred.

–Lily?” James squinted up at her. –Lily, are you okay?”

Lily smiled. –Of course I am, are you alright?”

Relief flooded James’ features. –Never better.”

Lily laughed softly, gently pushing his untidy black hair back from his forehead. –James... Thank you.”

James closed his eyes serenely and gave a small shrug. –It was no trouble.”

Lily grinned. –What were you doing down here, anyways?”

James shrugged again. –Oh, you know, just nicking some food from the kitchens.” He opened his eyes and gazed up at her. –And then I saw Remus and thought I might try to catch up with you.”

–Well, I’m glad you did.”

–Me too.”

The two sat in a comfortable silence for a moment, looking at Avery’s motionless body. Then Lily spoke.

–You know, we should probably get you to the Hospital Wing.”

James shook his head, lifting himself to an upright position. –I’m fine,” he said, though he seemed to be a little hesitant in his movements. –But we should get you looked at.”

Lily frowned, feeling the back of her head. –It’s not bleeding anymore, I’ll be alright.”

James shook his head firmly, standing up. –Come on, we’ll say you fell down the stairs or something.” He reached his hand down to help Lily up, who complied with a reluctant sigh.

–What should we do with this?” Lily looked down at Avery’s form with disgust.

James paused, then pulled Avery onto his shoulders. –Wait right here,” he said, then disappeared down the hallway.

–Where’d you put him?” Lily asked when James returned a few moments later.

–The girls’ lavatory,” he answered with a grin.

–Clever,” Lily laughed.

–Come on, let’s get you to Pomfrey,” James said. –Since I’m your rescuer and all, I could carry you there if you’d like.” He winked playfully at Lily.

–I can walk,” Lily said with a grin. –But thank you.”

–Anytime.”

–Really, James,” Lily paused to face James. –Thank you.”

James smiled, gazing into her eyes. –Anytime.”
A Taste of His Own Medicine by StarkidSkyler
Author's Notes:
Well, I bet you all thought I died, didn’t you? Nope! I just took a little break... okay, maybe a long break. But now I’m back and so are all the Marauders! This chapter is not as exciting as you all deserve after waiting so long, but it's a fun one! Tell me what you think, reviews help motivate me to keep up on my writing :)


Lily stirred in her bed, pushing her hair from her face to rub the sleep out of her eyes. Suddenly she sat up, disconcerted upon realizing the bed she was sleeping in was not her familiar four-poster. As she began to make sense of her surroundings, memory of the previous night flooded back to her. She was in one of the uniform white beds of the Hospital Wing, her head bandaged and a thick yellow potion on the bedstand next to her. The throbbing pain in her head had mostly subsided, leaving her slightly sore and fairly fuzzy but otherwise without pain.

–Oh good, I was just coming to wake you,” Madam Pomfrey said briskly, coming over to fuss with Lily’s bandages. –You have a concussion. I fixed you up and gave you something to keep your head from swelling. You’ll have a headache for a while, but you’ll be fine.” She handed Lily the flask of yellow liquid from her bedside and then bustled away.

With a sigh, Lily pinched her nose to block the foul smell of the potion and then gulped it down quickly. Then, the doors of the Hospital Wing opened with an obnoxiously loud bang, causing her to nearly choke on her potion in her startled state.

–Sleeping beauty has arisen!” Sirius’ wide grin was visible from across the room. He was accompanied by Mary, James, Remus, and Peter.

–How’re you feeling?” James asked, plopping himself on the foot of her bed.

–Never better,” Lily said with a grin. –What have you lot been up to?”

–Just came back from Potions,” Sirius said lightly. –James and I slipped some Veritaserum in Jackson Maverick’s Wit-Sharpening Potion, so when he tested it out he started babbling away.”

James grinned. –Did you know Jackson fancies Amelia Lacy?”

–It was a little awkward when he said that, seeing as Amelia is in our class,” Sirus chuckled.

Lily rolled her eyes. –Poor Jackson. That’s not funny.”

James shrugged. –Well, it’s not surprising that you don’t get it,” he winked at her.

–Oh, shut it. Just because I don’t think that humiliating other people is hilarious doesn’t mean I don’t have a sense of humor,” Lily protested indignantly. –I bet you wouldn’t like it so much if it were you getting humiliated.”

James laughed. –I’d like to see someone try.” He checked his watch. –Well, us four had best be off to Divination now. We’ll see you girls at dinner.” He gave Lily a pat on the leg and then followed the other three boys out of the Hospital Wing.

–I know that look,” Mary said with a bemused sigh. –What’re you thinking, Lily?”

Lily gave a sly smile. –I think it’s time James got a taste of his own medicine.”








–Well, that was a complete waste of an hour,” Sirius remarked as he, James, Peter, and Remus sat themselves by Lily and Mary at the Gryffindor Table. –You’re lucky you guys dropped that class.”

–Peter thought he saw a troll in his crystal ball, but it just turned out to be his reflection,” James said with a laugh.

–It was blurry,” Peter squeaked sheepishly.

–How’s your head?” Remus asked Lily.

–Much better,” Lily said. Her bandages had been removed and the wound hidden beneath her hair, leaving no visible signs of damage.

–So, Lily,” Sirius helped himself to the platters of food laid out on the table. –James made himself out to be something of a hero when he was telling us what happened last night. What really happened?” He ducked as James chucked a roll across the table.

Lily laughed. –Surprisingly enough, that is what really happened.”

–Thank you,” James said proudly, throwing Sirius a triumphant look. Sirius rolled his eyes.

–So Avery really used an Unforgivable Curse?” Remus asked with his eyebrows furrowed. –Has anyone told Dumbledore this?”

James shook his head. –I wonder how he explained why he was in the girls’ lavatory, though. I heard that you could hear Maraid Whitney’s scream two floors away.”

There was a collective chuckle at the thought of Avery getting discovered in the girls’ bathroom, but Remus remained serious.

–Dumbledore should be told,” he said firmly. –This wasn’t just some underaged kids shooting hexes in a late night duel. Avery is dangerous.”

Lily shuddered as she recalled the fear which had gripped her as she had awaited Avery’s curse, defenseless and vulnerable. –I agree. James and I can go tell him later today.” She lifted her eyes to meet James’ and gave him a small smile.

–Lily?”

Lily did not need to look behind her to know who was addressing her, the drastic change of expression on James’ face told her everything. She saw him exchange a dark glance with Sirius before she turned around to face her Slytherin friend.

–Hey, Severus,” Lily greeted him.

Severus shifted his weight nervously, obviously far out of his comfort zone. –I heard what happened... I just wanted to make sure you were all right,” he said, speaking as quietly as possible.

James snorted, but Lily let it go. –I’m fine, Sev.”

Severus’ desperate gaze searched Lily’s eyes. –Lily.. I... I didn’t know...”

–Yeah, well maybe you should-” James started up, but was silenced by a sharp kick to the shin from Lily. He glared at Severus as he rubbed his leg, but said nothing.

–I know, Severus.” Lily sighed, rubbing her temple, which had begun to throb again. –Maybe you should go. We can talk later.” Sirius seemed on the verge of some nasty retort, and James most likely did not need much motivation to continue his previous thought.

Severus nodded. –I’ll talk to you later, Lily.”

Sirius seemed to be growling as he watched the Slytherin shuffle down the Hall. James was more concerned with examining he shin bone, but he muttered, –You should’ve let me deal with him.”

Lily sighed again. –He doesn’t need dealing with, James, really. But I don’t want to talk about it, I have a headache.”

James’ head shot up. –Are you all right?” He asked, all the disdain wiped out of his voice and replaced with concern.

Lily just rolled her eyes. –Yes, Mum, stop worrying. Oh look, there’s the mail.”

–Fantastic, I hope your mum sent something good,” Sirius said brightly, searching the peck of owls flying into the Hall.

–Here comes Gerald now.” James stacked his plates to clear a spot for his owl to land. –What’s he got?”

The snowy owl fluttered to a stop in a blur of white feathers, landing in front of James. He dropped a dark red envelope on James’ plate and helped himself to some of the leftovers.

–Is that...?” The corners of Remus’ mouth twitched slightly as he surveyed the envelope in front of James.

–Uh oh, what has the naughty boy gotten into this time?” Sirius said mockingly, shaking his finger at James, who had yet to pick up the slightly smoking envelope on his plate.

–Well, I guess we’ll find out.” James laughed, but picked up the envelope gingerly and held it as far away as possible while he slowly opened it.

–JAMES POTTER!” Every student around the table jumped as a woman’s voice issued from the envelope, the shouts echoing through the Hall. People from other tables turned their heads to see the source of the noise. –I HAVE TOLD YOU ONE TOO MANY TIMES TO STOP STEALING MY CLOTHES! I DON’T CARE IF YOU PREFER WITCHES' UNDERWEAR, SEND BACK MY UNDERGARMENTS IMMEDIATELY!”

The entire student body erupted into laughter, while James sat there with a look of complete bewilderment on his face. Sirius was doubled over, howling, and even Remus was wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.

–I don’t wear her underwear!” James called desperately to whoever would hear. –I don’t know what she’s talking about!”

–Come on, mate,” Sirius said with a grin after a few minutes, once the laughter had mostly subsided. –Just send your mum her underwear back.” James punched him in the arm.

–I don’t understand...” James held the remains of the Howler, his confusion evident. –Is Mum playing a joke?”

–She must have,” Lily responded seriously . –It would be impossible for anyone to imitate her voice and send the Howler to you.” Her face seemed void of expression, but there was a telling smile in her eyes.

James stared blankly at her, his brows furrowed. –Impossible to... what?” His eyes widened. –Wait... you!”

Lily burst out laughing. –You should have seen your face!”

–You... I can’t believe you!” James exclaimed, but a smile was creeping on his lips. Sirius actually rose from his seat to shake her hand from across the table.

Lily shrugged. –It was pretty hard, lacking of sense of humor and all,” she said with a grin.

James shook his head. –All right, I take it back... That was a good one.”

–Good one? That was brilliant!” Sirius clapped James on the back. –She got you good, mate. Why haven’t we ever thought of Howlers?”

James rolled his eyes, but he was grinning.

–How’s it feel to be on the receiving end?” Lily asked with a wink.

–I’ll never hear the end of this one,” James said, shaking his head.

–C’mon, mates!” said Sirius, standing up. –Let’s go celebrate Lily’s new found sense of humor with some dessert from the kitchens.”

–Sounds good to me,” James responded, eager to leave. Remus, Peter, Mary and Lily followed the two boys out the doors of the Great Hall.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=89892