Sticking Together by iLuna17
Summary: During the reign of the Carrows, Dumbledore's Army fought against them. The D.A. also had each others' backs, no matter what happened. But it wasn't always that way. It took a fourth-year, a little black book, and a plan the size of Hogwarts itself to make the D.A. realize their only chance of survival lied with each other.

This is iMusic17 of Slytherin writing for the Outstanding OWL's prompt in the School of Mischief Challenge in the Great Hall.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Mild Profanity, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4213 Read: 1103 Published: 04/18/12 Updated: 04/24/12
Story Notes:
I must give credit where credit is due. My fabulous, amazing, and just generally beasty beta, Abi (phoenix_tearPatronus) has made this story what it is. So go thank her by leaving her a shiny review!
Also, (in case it wasn't extremely obvious) J.K. > little me.

1. Sticking Together by iLuna17

Sticking Together by iLuna17
Author's Notes:
Again, my absolutely amazing beta, Miss Abi (phoenix_tearPatronus) is beasty/fabulous and without her putting up with my horrible American-ness/bad grammar/general weirdness this story would probably be lying in the bowels of my computer. :) So thank you so much, Abi!

Also, I really wanted to do something COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone, and used some very minor characters (in the Trio era, no less!). So, I'm nervous. Also, many, many, thanks to the amazing mod, Jess (ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor). Thanks to her help (still don't know how I forgot Colin was a muggleborn) this is entry-able. (thanks a million) Thanks, and this probably isn't J.K.'s as it is a fanfiction website. :) Enjoy!




–Crucio!” An ugly woman screamed, her pudgy face twisting with fury and concentration. Her wand was pointed at a boy, probably a teenager, with strawberry-blond, almost red, hair. The boy was screaming and writhing on the floor, and despite his jerked movements, it was clear there was a large cut on his face.

–PLEASE! MAKE IT STOP; JUST MAKE IT STOP! I DID IT . . . JUST PLEASE STOP! I’LL TELL YOU ANYTHING!” he screamed desperately between his sobs. After what probably seemed like centuries to the boy, the woman lowered her wand. The boy was shaking horribly, but the woman just laughed.

–You should have thought about this before, then,” she sneered. –Now . . . what did you take?” The woman raised her wand, and the boy flinched.

–Nothing!” he cried, sobbing for good measure. He could only hope he had fooled the woman.

–You’re a liar, Mr. Wolpert.” The woman said in a sickly sweet tone. –And I believe you should know by fourteen not to tell lies.” The boy flinched, and the woman raised her wand again, before uttering the painful curse.

And then the boy knew only pain. Nothing else existed.

But the boy knew he had made his choice, and his pain prevented countless others from suffering as he was.






Nigel entered the Room of Requirement to find an unusual scene. Everyone was sitting in the ‘common room’, as per usual, but Neville, Luna, and Ginny were off to the side, whispering. Nodding his greetings, he walked over and sat down on the floor, his back leaning against a sofa. His suspicions were confirmed when he listened to the conversation.

–Something’s going on,” Anthony said in a hushed tone, gesturing to their three leaders. They were all sitting in a corner of the room, whispering. Planning.

–Tell me about it. And it’s been forever since we’ve done anything major,” Seamus complained, glancing a little bitterly at the isolated group.

–They’re obviously planning something big . . .” Hannah countered her friend, glancing over to where the three were huddled.

–But they’re not going to tell us,” Nigel finished, finding himself looking over at the three himself. –Reminds me a lot of when Harry and them were here. They were always talking in secret.”

–They were, weren’t they?” Hannah realised, smiling wryly.

–I don’t know about you lot, but I really want to know what in the name of Merlin they’re doing,” Anthony replied, switching the subject from Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It just reminded him of how much everyone was counting on them, but how they never came. Anthony wondered if they knew about the struggle at Hogwarts: just today (and rather a good day, too) Nigel had acquired a large bruise over one eye, a punishment for refusing to do the essay assigned in Muggle Studies.

–So do I, but they’re using Muffliato,” Nigel reminded Anthony. –Hey, where’s Hannah and Terry?”

–Hannah and Terry went to get the first years, the ones who ran from the Cruciatus Curse,” he replied, before looking at his watch. –Come to think of it, they should be back by now. Unless they’re doing something with The Book . . .”

Nigel’s face suddenly creased with worry. The Book was probably the most important thing to Dumbledore’s Army. It not only had their names (Ginny having had Hermione teach her the spells from last time), but it had their plans, their ideas, their records of all the horrible happenings that had been going on at Hogwarts. But there was more.

Using the book, almost anyone could see where every single person in the castle. And not only that, it acted as a one-way mirror. Any average witch or wizard, with the password, could see exactly what anyone was doing at any given time. If the book fell into the wrong hands, it was over.

–You don’t think something happened to it, do you?” Nigel asked worriedly, looking up at the others. He was probably the youngest person there; Neville refused to let the younger kids take part, because it was too dangerous. Nigel had been an exception; he had been in the original D.A., and had fought without hesitation from the beginning.

–With your plan and Anthony’s spell work? Not a chance,” Seamus dismissed. –I still can’t believe a fourth-year managed to plan all that.”

–Me, too,” Anthony admitted, putting a hand on Nigel’s shoulder. From what Nigel had heard about the quiet Ravenclaw, he had changed a great deal this year. Now he was almost a leader, seeing as though the main three were ignoring them.

–Do they have it?” Hannah asked nervously, brushing her blond hair over her shoulder.

–Yeah. So they could see what the Carrows are doing, so they don’t get caught,” a voice said from behind the group. They jumped: it was Neville. –Speaking of the Carrows, what happened to your eye, Nigel?”

–Didn’t do the essay on the appropriate disposal of Muggles,” Nigel shrugged, but Luna, also having materialized, looked concerned.

–That’s the third time this week. You need to be more careful, unless it’s the nargles making your brain fuzzy,” she mussed, and Nigel cracked a smile. He always humoured Luna.

–Nah, I think it might be the Blibbering-Humdingers endowing their bravery on me,” he replied, and everyone smiled a little.

–Just be careful. Even a gift as great as that can turn sour,” she warned, and Nigel fought a smile. But then it turned bitter as he touched his eye (and winced). –What’d you lot think of that essay?” he asked bitterly.

–Load of dung. I’m getting real sick of the Carrows, and Snape, when he does show his ugly face,” Neville ranted, sitting down next to them. Ginny and Luna joined shortly.

–Did you hear what Amycus did to Susan last week, after she didn’t turn in students who were out during her patrol?” Hannah asked, but no one could answer as Terry and Susan burst into the room, breathing heavily. Susan was crying.

–What happened?” Ginny asked, moving towards the group. Everyone followed.

–They found it . . . they found the book.” Everyone’s worst fears were confirmed.

–Did you remember to wipe it?” Nigel asked immediately, advancing on the three.

–Yes,” Terry affirmed, –but it won’t take them long to figure out the password, if they catch one of us.” Nigel whirled around in frustration.

–How did this happen?” he growled, rounding on them. Neville intercepted him.

–You need to calm down, mate. We’ll get it back,” he warned, but then Susan jumped in.

–It might not be so simple. You see, the book is probably hidden or locked away in the back room of confiscated objects, which is behind Alecto’s office, which is behind-–

–Detention,” Anthony finished. –And after Neville’s stunt earlier with detention there’ll be protection . . . this is going to be harder than it looks.”

–And we’ll have to wait to do it ‘till after tomorrow. Neville, Luna, and I have something we need to do,” Ginny added, though she looked concerned.

–But you’re not going to tell us?” Seamus asked angrily. Luna bit her lip, but nodded. Nigel moved to leave.

–Nigel?” Anthony asked as Nigel gathered up his things. –You created the book . . . do you have any say in this?” Nigel’s eyes flashed with something, something everyone recognized. An idea.

–Yeah. But I’ll tell you lot tomorrow.” His faced was creased, but they could see the beginnings of a plan in Nigel’s mind before. He left the room.






–I know you have an idea,” Anthony said, sitting down across from Nigel, who was writing an essay. (or so it seemed). –Come on, mate! I know it’ll be brilliant: when have your plans ever failed?”

–I don’t think you’re going to like this one,” Nigel muttered, still scratching away. He had been alone in the room, skipping breakfast, until Anthony came in.

–Why wouldn’t I?” he pressed, and Nigel became frustrated.

–Because! We have to do it today- the longer we wait, the more chance the Carrows have of figuring it out, we’re not telling Neville, Luna or Ginny- we’re using whatever they’re doing as one of the distractions, and, and-” he burst out, but he couldn’t tell him the last part of his plan. That was for Nigel and Nigel alone to know.

–You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you?” he asked bemusedly, unfazed.

–We need that book back,” was Nigel’s sullen reply.

–All right, mate. Your plans haven’t let us down yet, so I’m in. Who, and what, else do we need?” Anthony volunteered, and Nigel’s head snapped up from his essay. But Anthony could see it wasn’t an essay anymore; it was a complete diagram of the castle, complete with where certain numbers and letters, obviously code, would be during their scheme.

–Well, this is probably the most complicated plan I’ve ever come up with. I think we’ll need, yes, we’ll need exactly eight more people. You think you can get that many?” Nigel asked, eyes never leaving the diagram, and Anthony nodded, studying it with Nigel.

–Damn, Nigel. This actually might work,” he said approvingly. –I’ll send along the message,” Nigel looked ready to interrupt. –Don’t worry, I won’t use the coins. Don’t want Neville or them finding out, right?”

Nigel relaxed, and Anthony let out a laugh, before he thought of something. –Do you think you can have everything we need ready by the end of the day?” he asked worriedly. Now it was Nigel’s turn to laugh.

–Mate . . . I already do.”





–It’s times like these I can’t believe you’re fourteen, Nigel,” Demelza Robins commented, smiling, after Nigel had Anthony explain their plan of action. Nigel himself never led the escapades, because he always said he’s much better with parchment than people. Demelza tended to agree.

–Seriously, Nigel. I would never have been able to think of that,” another person praised. Nigel looked down, hiding his blush.

–Yes, it’s brilliant. Now do you lot know what each unit has to do?” Anthony asked, looking about the room. Everyone nodded.

–All right, then. Unit One is myself, Demelza, and Nigel. The second unit is Seamus, June, and Michael. The third is the Patils, and the fourth is Ernie and Hannah,” Anthony read, using the list Nigel gave him.

–I wonder why you put Seamus in Unit Two,” Anthony muttered to Nigel, who managed to nod, even though he felt like he was going to be sick.

–I heard he had a certain flare for pyrotechnics,” Nigel replied, shrugging. Anthony cracked a smile, but even then it was strained. Nigel read the signal. –Don’t worry, we’ll get him out,” he assured him, who simply looked ahead, before standing up again.

–All right. Let’s get this over with,” he announced.






–What does this have to go with getting the book back? Or Susan?” Ernie complained, raising his wand at the wall.

–It doesn’t. I just thought it’d be fun,” Hannah replied,, grinning, while Ernie floundered. Hannah laughed, before waving her wand. Instantly, graffiti appeared on the wall. Ernie just stood there.

–Can we please focus here?” he asked indignantly. Hannah shrugged.

–One minute,” Hannah replied, watching as Ernie turned a deeper shade of red.

–If we get caught it’s on you . . .” Ernie muttered.

–Relax, Ernie. We have plenty of-– she started, but was cut off by a large bang.

It had begun.






–Damn it!” Seamus muttered to himself, as he ran from the explosion. It was a lot more powerful than he thought. Apparently June and Michael agreed, because both were swearing vividly, albeit quietly, as they ran from the scene.

–Where’s the next one?” June whispered, having regained her composure. Seamus laughed.

–The snakes,” he said, grinning evilly.

–You know, Anthony just said we had to distract them. So that would mean that the bigger distraction the better, right?” June schemed. Michael groaned.

–There’s a reason I’m with you two. Someone needed to make sure you two didn’t go off and explode the school. It makes me wonder how you made Ravenclaw, June,” Michael said, but he was smiling.

–Well, come on then!” Seamus urged, and the three took off into the darkness.





–Let’s go,” Nigel said in a low voice, trying to stay calm. He knew what he had to do, and he planned to go through with it, but it didn’t stop the fear. Nigel wondered if this is how everyone else felt, even the other Gryffindors. Just because he was a Gryffindor didn’t mean he was immune to fear.

–Are you sure?” Demelza asked. So he wasn’t the only one who was scared.

–Would you prefer to still be sitting here when the swamp goes off?” Nigel snapped back. –Sorry,” he apologised immediately.

–Me, too. It’s just that I’m-– Demelza started.

–-Nervous,” Anthony finished, smiling a little. –Now let’s go. We need that book.”

–Yeah. Padma and Parvati will be here soon,” Demelza agreed, and they moved from their hiding space, just as they heard a distant noise. Seamus, June, and Michael were close.






–Come on! We need to detonate this and get back!” Padma urged her sister as she set up the last box.

–I’m almost done,” Parvati replied irritably. Her sister worried too much.

–Did you remember to-– Padma started again, pacing.

–Yes, Padma,” was the icy reply. –It’s ready,” Parvati announced some twenty seconds later. Padma let a sigh of relief.

–Incendio,” they both muttered, before sprinting away as fast as they could. Parvati turned around and smiled when she saw the newly created swamp behind her.






Nigel crept into the first detention classroom. The Carrows were more clever than they looked; they held their detentions in the dungeons, which were easy to protect, and also isolated so the other professors couldn’t hear the screams.

Everything was going according to plan. The firecrackers and detonations had effectively drawn the Carrows away and kept them running around, and Filch would be preoccupied with the mess. And Snape . . . Nigel guessed that whatever Ginny, Neville, and Luna were doing had to do with him. Now all they had to do was beat the Slytherins practising the torture curse, find the book, and free the others. He took a deep breath and steeled his nerves.

–Relashio,” Demelza muttered, and the bonds around Susan’s wrists disappeared. She immediately dropped to the floor, and Susan's eyes burned with hatred as she glanced at the portrait of Mrs. Norris Filch kept in his torture chamber. She had nasty looking bruises and cuts, and could hardly stand. Demelza knew that whoever had cursed Susan was experienced with the curse, probably Crabbe or Goyle.

–Did you hear something?” she heard one of the Slytherins asked. Demelza put her finger to her lips, and Susan nodded.

–STUPEFY!” Demelza shouted, at the same time as Nigel and Anthony. Instantly, three of the six students fell. The others whipped around, quickly drawing their wands. So she and the others sent another round. Except for Nigel- he was sneaking into the back, where the Carrows would have the book. Out of the corner of her eye Demelza saw Susan freeing the others, who were quickly leaving. But Demelza couldn’t focus on the other students . . . she was locked in a duel, and could only hope Nigel found the book. And fast- she didn’t know how long it would take for the Carrows to find out what had happened, and she didn’t want to hang around for when they did.



Nigel snuck into the back room, trying as hard as he could to ignore the duel going on behind them. When he entered, he saw that the room was filled with Weasley’s products, along with a few copies of the Quibbler issue from his second year. There was a small cupboard, complete with a lock, and Nigel knew what lay in the cupboard. The book.

He walked over and hissed the unlocking charm, but to no avail. Nigel sighed, and pulled out a bobby pin he’d nicked off Demelza. Within seconds the lock was free. Trust the Carrows to underestimate Muggles and their methods.

But when Nigel grabbed the book, after he’d replaced it with a blank one, alarms blared. There was a charm on the book, not to mention the other items in the cupboard. Knowing he didn’t have much time, he exited the room, where Demelza and Anthony were waiting. Now was the time.

–TAKE IT AND RUN!” he yelled, tossing the book to Anthony. There was something else he had to do. The Carrows would never stop chasing the other two if someone didn’t take the fall for this.

But Anthony and Demelza were still standing there. They were following the plan.

–I’LL BE FINE! JUST GO!” he tried again, even louder, but neither of them moved. Where were the bloody Carrows? –GO ALREADY!” And Nigel disappeared into the back room, locking the door. Anthony knew what Nigel was thinking, and was going to try as hard as he could to stop it.

–NO!” he shouted, just as Ernie and Hannah burst in, followed closely by the Carrows.

–There they are!” Ernie exclaimed, dramatically pointing a finger at the two. Nigel watched through a crack as Demelza and Anthony played their part.

–What do we have here?” Amycus asked, grinning evilly. –Some ickle Gryffindors and Ravenclaws being naughty?”

–We . . . we,” Demelza stuttered, looking terrified.

–But . . .but,” Alecto mocked, before stepping closer. Her eyes flickered to where Nigel was hiding, having finished his job. –I think these two can join their friends in the Headmaster’s office,” she decided, her eyes looking to the back room. Her brother looked confused, but didn’t protest, seeing Alecto’s glances.

–We’ll take them there,” Hannah volunteered, and Amycus nodded.

–You two are in a whole lot of trouble,” he said evilly, his face inches from Anthony’s. Anthony spat on it, and Amycus roared with anger. –Crucio!” And Anthony was writhing on the floor.

–We don’t have time for this!” Alecto shouted irritably, and her brother dropped the curse. –Take this filth out of here, girl,” she ordered, and the three Prefects obliged.






When Nigel saw Anthony and Demelza leave, he breathed a sigh of relief, before turning towards the cupboard, his wand out. He tried to look frustrated, and listened for the Carrow’s footsteps, which were drawing closer.

–Alohomora,” he muttered, pointing his wand. He repeated it over and over, and when he heard the door open he immediately turned around, his eyes wide with fear. That much was not acting; Nigel was terrified.

–I knew it! I knew those brats were covering for someone!” she exclaimed, pointing her wand at the boy. –Expelliarmus!” she screamed, and Nigel was defenceless.

–I . . . I . . .” Nigel stuttered, appearing to be trying to explain himself.

–Now, boy,” Alecto tutted, walking closer. Nigel backed against the wall. –If you just tell me what you were doing here . . . it may make things a little easier for you.”

–No,” he said defiantly, suddenly changing his demeanour.

–We’ll see if you drop your attitude after a taste of the torture curse,” she said, before hitting Nigel across the face, causing him to drop to the floor. Then the pain began.






–Hold your breath and kick,” Hannah advised Anthony and Demelza. They both were stone-faced, and everyone knew why. Nigel was still in there. –It’ll be gross, but it’s better than being caught. The other Prefects will be here any minute.”

–I still can’t believe he thought of all this,” Demelza said, gesturing to the portable swamp. –He’ll be okay, right?”

–He knew what he was doing. I’m sure he’ll be fine,” Anthony said, but his eyes were hard. –I still don’t know why he just wouldn’t come.”

–He knew the Carrows needed to punish someone, or they would never stop looking,” Susan said, before smiling faintly. –He really did think of everything.”

–Any word on Neville and them?” Hannah asked, trying to change the subject.

–I think Snape caught them. They were trying to steal the Sword of Gryffindor,” Ernie said in a hushed tone.

–Are they all right?” Demelza asked immediately.

–I don’t know. They’re in the room, though. We’d better go; we need to tell them what happened.”






–You’re a liar, Mr. Wolpert.” The woman said in a sickly sweet tone. –And I believe you should know by fourteen not to tell lies.” Nigel flinched; he knew what was coming. Pain.

–Tell me,” she ordered once more, after she let up from the curse. –Or do you need to spend the night in the Squib’s chains?”

–No,” Nigel responded, but it was weak, even to him. He was shaking on the floor; something about the Cruciatus curse made him feel extremely cold. It was almost done . . . soon he could make his move.

–One more chance, Wolpert,” Carrow said, preying on his weakness. –What. Did. You. Steal?”

–The . . . the little book,” he said, looking down. –It’s in my sock.”

–Good boy,” Carrow said. –Give it here and you can leave . . . for today. But you have detention the rest of the week.” Carrow let out a yawn, and Nigel himself realised how late it was.

So he took the book out of his sock, and handed it to her, and she stalked out of the room. Nigel shakily stood up, feeling light-headed. He stumbled out of the horrible room, and somehow managed to make his way through the swamp and up to the Room of Requirement. When he opened the door, everyone was silent. Nigel walked shakily over, but his legs could not hold any longer. He fell on the floor and groaned.

–Bloody Carrow,” he muttered, about to stand up again, but before he could, Neville and Seamus had grabbed him, putting him on the couch. –Thanks,” Nigel rasped, his voice sore from screaming in pain.

–No problem, mate,” Seamus said, though he wasn’t smiling.

–I’m sorry,” Nigel apologised, immediately feeling ashamed, like he had disappointed the older people around him.

–Wasn’t your smartest decision, I’ll admit,” Anthony said, as Nigel sat up.

–It worked, though, and someone had to take the fall,” he defended.

–Yeah, but it wasn’t as if you were alone. We worked together on this, and we’d all take the blame if they’d have found out,” Seamus reasoned.

–I think what Anthony was trying to say is that he didn’t want you to get hurt because his plan didn’t work out,” Neville said.

–Again, not your smartest decision.” But now Anthony was smiling as he said it. –What did you do in that room?”

–First I had Seamus copy the book, except wiped the copy clean. Then I gave you the original, and wrote some weird love letter to Professor Snape in the second one, which Carrow now has,” he explained, standing up. Again, he was dizzy, and extremely sore.

–You should just stay here tonight,” Ginny said worriedly. –How long did they curse you?”

–I don’t know. Overall, twenty minutes at most,” Nigel shrugged.

–That’s a lot, Nigel,” Demelza said. –I agree with Ginny.”

–I’ll be fine,” Nigel dismissed, and started to walk towards the door. It was more of a stumble, though.

–Overruled, mate. And no offence, you don’t look like you could farther than the end of the corridor,” Seamus said, grinning.

–Fine,” Nigel conceded, but everyone else looked uneasy. –And I am sorry. I shouldn’t have gone behind Neville’s back, or Anthony’s.”

–This is when he reminds me of Harry. Just because you make a plan, it doesn’t mean that if it fails it’s all your bloody fault. Dumbledore’s Army sticks together. And we got the book back, didn’t we?” Ginny said forcefully. Everyone else nodded.

–Thanks,” Anthony said, as everyone else left the room. Soon after he followed. Nigel watched him go. After the night he had, he didn’t think he’d ever fall asleep. But within seconds he was out cold, and though Neville had promised to wake him up before classes, Nigel would sleep through the entire day. When he’d wake up, the rest of the D.A. would be coming back from their classes, and he wouldn’t remember much. But he’d remember this:

Dumbledore’s Army sticks together.











End Notes:
Thanks, and please review!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91389