Wolfsbane by Shiloh_Tovah
Summary: AU. Professor Snape finds himself in a bit of a predicament when someone from his school days shows up to teach at Hogwarts. Serena Wolfsbane, an accomplished Auror, takes up her new teaching position and discovers that there is definitely more to Snape than meets the eye. Follows basic plot of last 4 Harry Potter books.
Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 7234 Read: 7624 Published: 07/01/12 Updated: 08/30/12
Story Notes:
Will be told mostly considering Serena's 3rd person POV. Explores the last 4 books from a viewpoint other than Harry's: What didn't we see happening? Where was Snape when such-and-such was occurring? etc. Categorized as AU due to presence of original characters and other modifications of canon (such as, what if Dumbledore hadn't destroyed the Philosopher's Stone? etc.).

1. Prologue by Shiloh_Tovah

2. Chapter 1 by Shiloh_Tovah

3. Chapter 2 by Shiloh_Tovah

4. Chapter 3 by Shiloh_Tovah

Prologue by Shiloh_Tovah
Author's Notes:
Canon passages (mostly of dialogue and the like) can be found in the 5th book: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, chapter 28 ("Snape's Worst Memory"), and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--0--

"All right, Snivellus?" called an unfriendly voice.

Slytherin fifth-year Severus Snape dropped his school bag and made for his wand, but James Potter was too quick for him.

"Expelliarmus!"

Snape's wand flew out of his hand. He lunged for it, but was promptly knocked off his feet by Potter's Impediment Curse. Potter and his friends advanced on him, taunting him, while a small crowd gathered to watch and many others turned their heads towards the commotion. A pair of Hufflepuff second-year girls sat a few meters away, watching with rapt attention as the scene unfolded. Well, one of them was sitting. The other had jumped to her feet and was brandishing her wand, looking quite prepared to march across the lawn and give Potter a large piece of her mind.

"Oh sit down, Serena," said the sitting girl to her friend. "You know that'll do no good."

"Kat, are you even seeing what's going on right now?" cried Serena, her wand still at the ready.

Kat habitually adjusted her thin-frame glasses and gave a resigned sort of sigh. "Yes, I'm seeing it. And it's great you want to go save Snape and all, but trust me, mixing up in all that will just get you hexed. Speaking of which..." She made a face as Severus started yelling and cursing and hexing for the whole school to hear-not that it did him any good. "I have no clue what you see in him."

"Oh shut it." Serena huffed indignantly and watched as pink soap bubbles poured from Severus's mouth. The crowd around Potter and Severus had grown, and most of the students were laughing at the unfortunate Slytherin. "They've got no right to do this to him!" Serena continued. "This is completely unfair! Why must Potter and Black be so cruel? Why isn't anyone stopping them? Why hasn't-"

"Leave him ALONE!" Lily Evans's voice echoed across the grounds, and everyone grew strangely silent.

Lily Evans. The one girl Serena envied most. She despised everything about her: her dark red hair, her brilliantly green eyes, her clear strong voice, her obvious confidence, her bravery, her kindness, her compassion, her friendship with Severus... The way he looks at her...

Even now, as he attempted to repay Potter for his embarrassment, Severus wore an expression of barely-contained gratitude for Evans' intervention. Though, that expression quickly disappeared as he was hoisted up into the air upside down, his shabby school robes falling over his head. Serena stood frozen, her heart beating overtime, blood rushing to her head. She wanted to scream, and the words were on the tip of her tongue when Potter released Severus, who fell quite unceremoniously to the ground.

"There now, see?" said Kat, who had finally gotten to her feet. "He's alright. Everything's-"

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!" yelled Severus.

The girls watched in stunned silence as Evans, after delivering a few more choice words to Severus and Potter, hurried away across the grounds. Serena's initial shock at Severus' outburst soon faded, and was replaced by a smile that slowly made its way across her face. She is a filthy Mudblood, isn't she? thought Serena. She got what she had coming--

"Oy, look!" said Kat suddenly, elbowing Serena in the side. "Here comes your brother. And he's got Professor Flitwick with him."

At the sight of the professor, the crowd of students dispersed as quickly as it had formed. Tyler Wolfsbane hurried over to Severus, who had once again fallen from where Potter'd dropped him.

"Well, come on," said Serena, tugging at Kat's arm. "Let's go see if he's alright."

Kat rolled her eyes. "Sure, now you're brave enough."

"You shut it."

The two girls made their way over to the tree where Tyler and Severus stood.

"...and then I called her a Mudblood, and she just ran off."

"You did what? But she's your best friend, why would..." The boys fell silent as Kat and Serena reached them.

"Honestly!" said Serena. "Those arrogant Gryffindors; think they own everyone. Especially that Potter boy; I mean really, the immaturity baffles me. What an absolute swine! He's--"

"And why do you feel the need to explain this to me, Wolfsbane?" Severus sneered, clearly put out. "If you're so passionate about it, you should've told them off when you had the chance."

Serena just opened her mouth speechlessly, and Tyler gave her a look that said Why are you even here? "Come on, Severus," said Tyler. "Let's go back up to the common room; we still have to study for our Transfiguration exams. See you, Serena. Kat."

Kat nodded to Tyler, and then to Severus. "Snape."

"Rowan."

The two fifth-years started back up the hill to the castle while Kat and a stilled-stunned Serena followed at a distance.

**20 Years Later**

"I would like to introduce to you your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Serena Wolfsbane!"
End Notes:
Seeing as how this is the first fanfic I and my co-author have ever written, feedback is incredibly appreciated. What did you like? What can we fix? Suggestions for future development? Anything. Thanks for reading. More to come soon.
--Shiloh
Chapter 1 by Shiloh_Tovah
Author's Notes:
Canon passages (mostly having to do with plot) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapters 12 ("The Triwizard Tournament") and 13 ("Mad-Eye Moody"), and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--1--

"I would like to introduce to you your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Serena Wolfsbane!"

Every head in the Great Hall was turned to face the main doors, through which now strode a young-looking witch. She was rather tall, slim, and pale with long, dark brown hair that swayed in time with the hem of her robes as she walked. Her head was held high and she wore a confident expression, as if she expected no less than to have every eye in the room on her. And so it was: everyone watched as she made her way towards the staff table, including a certain stern-looking, greasy-haired wizard.

Professor Severus Snape had never felt more off his guard than he did when Serena Wolfsbane entered the Hall. In fact, she had nearly passed the House tables before Snape was able to completely regain his air of indifference. He was careful not to make eye contact with Serena as she sat in the empty seat next to him. As she did so, Professor Dumbledore announced the commencement of the feast, and extravagant food promptly appeared on the tables and everyone dug in.

Eventually conversation arose, and Professor Sinistra leaned forward a bit and greeted Serena. Snape sat as far back in his chair as possible so as to avoid the conversation.

"So tell me," said Sinistra after exchanging pleasantries. "How is your uncle, Moody, faring? I was under the impression that he was to be teaching here this year, but then I read in the Prophet about that incident with the dustbins...?"

Serena shook her head and sighed. "Yes, it was unfortunate, really. He always was a bit paranoid, you know, but with good reason, and everybody who knew him knew that. The wizards from the Improper Use of Magic office weren't so like-minded, though. Lucky for Alastor that Arthur Weasley showed up when he did. Managed to get the old boy off on a brief probation. It was agreed that he shouldn't start teaching right away, so Dumbledore sent me an owl and asked me to fill in."

"Oh, but of course he did; I can't think of anyone else better qualified!" Sinistra smiled, ignoring Snape's barely-audible indignant scoff. "You've been an active Auror for what, fifteen years now? And I've heard you're one of the best the Ministry's got."

"Sixteen years," Serena corrected her, trying not to look too pleased with herself. "And thank you, you're too kind." Severus rolled his eyes, but if either witch noticed, they ignored him. Sinistra smiled once more before turning around toward Professor Sprout (who had just asked her opinion on the importance of moon phases when growing nightshade) which left Snape and Serena's end of the staff table in relative silence.

Serena had just opened her mouth to say something to Severus, who was still avoiding her eye, when Dumbledore stood again, signaling the end of the feast and the beginning of the usual announcements. Everyone gave him their undivided attention, including Serena, causing Severus to breathe a miniscule sigh of relief. Even simply being under her gaze set his nerves on edge, proof that some things never change...

Dumbledore explained about the Triwizard Tournament that was to take place at the school this year, the news of which had everyone chattering excitedly. Serena remained turned away from Severus, for which he was grateful. The last thing he wanted to do was talk to her, especially since he was quite certain of the one thing she'd want to talk about.

Suddenly, the Great Hall erupted into clamour as Dumbledore dismissed the students to their dormitories. Serena turned around to face Snape, but he had already left his seat and was halfway down the Hall, desperate to put as much distance between them as quickly as possible.

***********


Serena stood up from her classroom desk to address her students. It had been a long first day, but she had finally made it to the last group of the afternoon.

"Right then," she said. "I am Professor Wolfsbane, and you all are the Gryffindor and Slytherin sixth-years, correct?"

A red-headed boy in the front row leaned forward. "That's right," he said. "And might I just say that I am greatly looking forward to this class. It just so happens to be one of my personal favorites." The boy's clone sitting beside him laughed at his sarcastic tone. Serena's eyes narrowed as she looked down at them.

"Well, you two are obviously the infamous Weasley twins," she said, equally as sarcastic. "Fantastic. Such a lovely bunch."

"Not as lovely as you, miss," the second twin said with a wink as the other students laughed.
Serena rolled her eyes. "Simply pathetic... Ten points from Gryffindor for your cheekiness." The twins opened their mouths to protest, but Serena held up a hand to silence them.

"Now then," she said sternly, determined not to be interrupted again. "I have a letter here from Professor Lupin, and he says you lot are right on schedule as far as the curriculum is concerned. And I see he was rather impressed by your O.W.L. scores as well, which is good news." She placed the piece of parchment back on her desk and took a deep breath.

–Today I want to begin a discussion on something that isn’t quite as deliberated upon in standard curriculum. This is because the Ministry would prefer that we didn’t teach it at all. However, I do not always agree with the Ministry. I am of the belief that this is valuable information and should not be hidden from students, especially those of your age.”

One of the twins leaned towards the other and whispered loudly, –A little rebellious, isn’t she? I like her even better!”

Serena ignored them and continued. –The three Unforgivable Curses. Can anyone name one for me?” Both Weasleys immediately raised their hands, and Serena rolled her eyes. –Anyone who hasn’t already made themselves look like blithering idiots. Yes, on the left. Angelina Johnson, is it?”

The Gryffindor girl nodded. –Yes, Professor. The most obvious would be the Killing Curse.”

–Yes, it would,” said Serena. –It’s a very powerful curse and only one person in history has survived it, and I’m sure all of you know him by now. Another curse? ” A Slytherin boy towards the back raised his hand.

–The Imperius Curse.”

–Can you explain what this curse is used for?”

–It gives you complete control over a person,” the boy said with a grin.

–Precisely. Five points for Slytherin.” The Gryffindors groaned. The Weasley twins still had their hands high in the air.

Serena frowned slightly. –Alright then, Mr. Weasley?”

–Yes, miss,” grinned the first twin. –But you can call me Fred.”

Serena sighed. –Well, since this is your favorite subject, give us the last curse.”

–With pleasure,” said Fred with another wink. –The Cruciatus Curse. The victim undergoes excruciating pain for as long as the curse is held.” He smiled brightly. –I heard it’s like your entire body is burning as though your flesh is on fire… kind of like the way my heart feels whenever you walk into the room, Professor.”

Serena had enough of his foolishness. She raised an eyebrow and smirked. –’Like the way your heart feels when I enter the room?’ Who would’ve guessed you could be so delightfully charming. Not to mention brilliant…” her tone, dripping with sarcasm, matched her playful expression as she walked slowly to his desk.

–Ah, well I’ve got nothing on you, Professor…Obviously.”

–And so witty as well! You must have the girls crawling all over you.” The other students had started to snicker at Serena and Fred’s banter. –I certainly wouldn’t blame them, though,” she continued. –Who wouldn’t absolutely love being compared to the Cruciatus Curse? I’m sure any girl would want to feel as if her skin was on fire just from standing in the same room as you.”

Her voice suddenly took a more sinister tone. –I wonder if that’s how my brother felt when he stood in the same room as You-Know-Who. I wonder if he enjoyed feeling like his entire body was on fire; like he was being turned inside out, as the Death Eaters tortured him to death with that very curse.”

The room was now deathly silent. Serena stood inches from Fred’s face and spoke through clenched teeth. –None of the three Curses -- especially that curse -- will be taken lightly in this classroom. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Weasley?”

–Exceptionally,” breathed the wide-eyed redhead.

Serena whirled around and bellowed, –Twenty points from Gryffindor, and you, Mr. Weasley, will be serving a week’s detention starting tonight. Seven o’clock, in my office!”

The rest of class was silent as they wrote an essay on the effects of the three Unforgivable Curses. Serena wrote pages upon pages of class lectures in order to keep her mind off her brother, Tyler.


That night, the unfortunate Weasley showed up at Serena’s office door looking grim. She glanced up at him briefly before drawing up an extra desk with her wand, in which the boy sat.

–Mr. Weasley,” said Serena. –It’s time you learned your place and some respect for your professors. You will spend this week in detention learning how to do that.” A quill and a roll of parchment appeared on the desk. –Tonight, you will write me an essay explaining both how your actions were an example of disrespect and how one should properly behave in a classroom setting.”

–Yes, miss,” he said solemnly, and began writing.

The next two hours passed in complete silence, for which Serena was grateful. She didn’t think she could stand anymore chattering students for today. A little past nine, Weasley stood and handed Serena his parchment.

–I… er,” he said. –I had also wanted to apologize directly for the way I acted this afternoon.” Serena raised an eyebrow, intrigued. He continued, –My actions were rude and immature. I’m also sorry for offending you… That was certainly not my intention.”

His apology seemed quite sincere. Serena’s heart softened ever so slightly and she nodded. –Thank you. You may go now.”

He turned and started towards the door.

–Oh,” said Serena, as if she’d forgotten something. –Oh, and, George?”

George Weasley turned in spite of himself. Serena couldn’t help smirking. –Do tell Fred that I wish for he himself to attend the rest of this week’s detentions? I’m afraid a proxy just won’t do.”

–Of course, miss.” George grinned, clearly impressed, and left the room.
End Notes:
First chapter! Y'all enjoy. Reviews are very much appreciated.
--Shiloh
Chapter 2 by Shiloh_Tovah
Author's Notes:
Canon passages (having to do with plot and/or dialogue) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapters 16 ("The Goblet of Fire"), 17 ("The Four Champions"), and 18 ("The Weighing of the Wands") and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--2--

The arrival of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons visitors caused quite the stir among students and staff alike. The start of the Triwizard Tournament was finally here, and an excited and eager air settled over the Great Hall as everyone filed in for the long-awaited feast.

The Hogwarts staff entered the Hall once the students had settled themselves at their tables. Professor McGonagall led the way to the staff table while Dumbledore and the Heads of the visiting schools brought up the rear. Five extra chairs had been added to the table, and the guests sat on either side of Dumbledore; Professor Karkaroff of Durmstrang on his right and Madame Maxime of Beauxbatons on his left. Once everyone was seated, Dumbledore officially welcomed the visiting students and Heads, and invited all to enjoy the feast.

About halfway through the first course, Ludo Bagman and Bartemius Crouch of the Ministry of Magic arrived. They greeted Dumbledore and seated themselves at the staff table, Crouch on Madame Maxime’s left and Bagman between Professor Karkaroff and Snape. Karkaroff was still deep in conversation with Dumbledore, so Bagman turned to Severus and began talking the ear off the disgruntled potions professor.

Serena sat on the other end of the staff table between the fifth empty chair and Professor Flitwick (who had brought along a rather large Charms textbook to sit on so he could reach over the table). She’d tried to get a seat near Severus, but he had managed to dodge her yet again, hurrying to secure a spot between Professor Vector and the reserved seats. As the chair on Vector’s right was occupied by Professor Sprout, Serena’d had little choice but to surrender herself to the emptier side of the table, but not before casting Snape a piercing glare -- which he ignored.

She sat picking at her food, consumed by her thoughts. Severus had been avoiding her rather successfully ever since she’d arrived at Hogwarts. She knew why, of course. Severus was no doubt expecting her to approach him about Tyler’s death, which was precisely what she intended to do if she ever managed to get a moment with Snape…

Bagman and Crouch’s arrival briefly interrupted Serena’s thoughts, as well as her inspection of the bouillabaisse (which she found quite disgusting). The empty chair next to Serena was soon filled by the fifth guest of the evening -- an older wizard with scraggly gray hair, an excessively scarred face, and mismatched eyes, one of which was large, blue, and spinning in all directions.

–Uncle Alastor!” said Serena excitedly. –I didn’t expect you to be here. It’s so good to see you!”

–Aye, and you as well, missy,” said Mad-Eye Moody with something akin to a smile. –Dumbledore invited me here for the opening of the Tournament. Something about wanting to make up for my not being able to come teach after all.” Moody ignored the foreign dishes arraying the table and reached for the black pudding. –How has it been for you; teaching?” he asked. –Any problems I should know about?”

Serena shook her head. –The Weasleys have been giving me some trouble, but it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Moody’s magical eye whizzed around to glare a moment at the Weasley twins, who were sitting at the Gryffindor table and watching Moody and Serena interestedly. They appeared fascinated by Moody’s eye, which turned from them to stare through the back of his head at the opposite end of the staff table.

–And…Snape?” he asked gruffly. –Any trouble from him?”

–We haven’t spoken.”

–That so? Hmm…” Moody’s normal eye narrowed as his magical eye resumed glancing about the Hall. –Well, you keep an eye on that one, eh? Don’t want him pulling anything on you. CONSTANT VIGILENCE!” Crouch started at Moody’s sudden outburst, but Serena merely nodded and returned to picking at her food as Moody shoveled the pudding into his mouth.

Soon after, Dumbledore rose from his seat and everyone fell silent as he introduced Bagman and Crouch to the students. He then called for Mr. Filch to bring in what he referred to simply as –the casket.” Everyone watched with curious eyes as Filch carried in a large, wooden, jewel-encrusted chest and set it before the staff table. Dumbledore tapped the chest thrice with his wand, and it opened to reveal a plain, wooden goblet nearly overflowing with bright blue flames. He explained that this Goblet of Fire would serve as the impartial selector of the school champions, and that students had twenty-four hours to submit their names. Dumbledore emphasized once again that the Tournament should not be taken lightly, and abruptly dismissed the students to their dormitories.

Everyone stood at once, and the Hall filled with even more noise than Serena had thought possible. Moody began saying something to her about his sleeping arrangements for the night, but she wasn’t paying attention. She was looking for Severus, and caught him rushing for the door, as usual, without so much as a backwards glance. She frowned deeply. Running from me again, eh? she thought. This is getting ridiculous…


The next evening, Serena sat in a daze while Professor Dumbledore read the names of the Triwizard Champions as they were shot up and out of the Goblet of Fire. There was an uproar each time a name was called, but Serena paid no attention. She had never been very interested in sports or games of any kind, so her interest in the Tournament itself was at a bare minimum. It also didn’t help that she was in the worst of moods. Severus had her blood boiling once again. It was so immature of him to avoid her. It just showed how much of a coward he is, and it made Serena furious. But she knew it shouldn’t make her furious; she really shouldn’t care at all. But of course, this knowledge only made her more sour.

She glared at him from the corner of her eyes. He sat a few seats down from her and carried his usual expression of indifference. It was clear the Tournament did not excite him either. Not once did he clap or cheer. He sat motionless and completely focused on Dumbledore.

Serena glared at him, hating him solely because she knew she would never affect him the way he did her. She hated his long, black, greasy hair. She hated his dark eyes. Most of all, she hated that air of cold apathy he never ceased to carry with him. She continued to stare at him when a sudden wave of shock crossed his face. Stunned, she finally broke her gaze and turned her attention to Dumbledore, who was holding a name from the Goblet of Fire and yelling for Harry Potter.

Everyone in the room watched as the Potter boy made his way down the aisle. Students were murmuring and the teachers were wide-eyed. Serena was utterly confused and found herself wishing she had been paying more attention. As soon as Potter left the room the teachers turned to each other, speaking frantically in low voices, and the students were in yet another uproar.

The professors nearest to Serena were saying they thought Potter’d cheated somehow. Serena tried to gather her thoughts. Someone else had to have put the boys name in, obviously… He was underage. It’s highly improbable he got past Dumbledore’s Age Line… Not even the twins managed that. She watched as Bagman quickly made his way to the room where the champions were being held, followed close behind by Dumbledore, Crouch, the two visiting Heads, McGonagall, and Snape.

A moment later Serena decided that, as the resident Auror, Dumbledore would probably want her present. She pushed through the crowd of concerned staff and indignant students, and entered the back room just in time to hear a low, soft voice saying, –It’s no one’s fault but Potter’s, Karkaroff. Don’t go blaming Dumbledore for Potter’s determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here--”

–It’s highly unlikely it was a student, especially one as young as Potter,” said Serena from the doorway. –How do we know this wasn’t the doing of a fellow teacher or staff member?”

Everyone turned to look at Serena, but she kept her eyes on Severus.

–Is that a confession or an accusation, Wolfsbane?” said Snape through gritted teeth. Serena’s eyes narrowed but never left his.

–Neither, but I feel as though we should examine all the possibilities before we start pointing fingers, Severus.”

–Thank you Serena; Severus,” said Dumbledore firmly. He went on to question the boy, who of course claimed to know nothing. Serena did not particularly like Harry Potter; he was a constant reminder of Lily and James, both of whom she had always detested. She had no intentions of helping Potter, but she didn’t want to side with Severus either. Severus now stood with a smug smirk spread across his face as the professors called Potter a liar. Serena just rolled her eyes as the arguments continued until the door behind her opened, revealing her uncle, Alastor.

–He’s got to compete,” he said definitively. –They’ve all got to compete. Binding magical contract, like Crouch said.” That didn’t sit well with anyone in the room, but after a few minutes more of arguing, they all knew there was no way around it. Harry Potter would have to compete.

Serena crossed her arms over her chest and simply watched the others until the champions and their headmasters had left the room for bed. The only ones left in the room with Serena were McGonagall, Moody, Snape and Dumbledore.

McGonagall spoke first. –Do you really expect him to compete, Albus? He’s just a boy! Those tasks are far above his skill level.”

Dumbledore sighed. –I’m afraid we have no choice, Minerva. However, I do agree with Alastor: someone might have set the boy up; therefore, we must be very cautious. He will need protection.” Dumbledore turned to Serena, who bristled at the thought of what was sure to come. She was here at Hogwarts to teach, not to babysit!

Before she could protest, however, Moody spoke up. –I will stay and watch over the boy as much as I can.”

Serena snapped her head towards him, surprised. Alastor was not one for babysitting either; it was rather unlike him. Severus also stared at him before slowly turning his gaze toward Serena. Their eyes met for a brief moment, each barely registering the other’s disbelief.

–Thank you, Alastor,” said Dumbledore. –Your services are greatly appreciated but unnecessary. I have professors more than capable of protecting Harry.”

–The professors have their teaching to do,” reasoned Moody. –I insist.” This too left Serena in a bit of shock. As Dumbledore apparently had no more intentions of arguing tonight, he granted Moody’s request.

***********


–Can’t it wait?”

The third-year boy standing in Serena’s doorway shook his head nervously and fidgeted, obviously uncomfortable. –Professor Dumbledore asked for you specifically. He said… well, he insists.”

Serena made a face, reluctant to leave her desk. –Is there any particular reason he asked for me specifically?”

–Um… well,” stuttered the boy. –Not that I know of, miss.”

–No, of course not,” Serena muttered. She stowed her ungraded essays in a drawer before rising with a sigh. –Might as well get on with it, then. Where does he want me, exactly?”

The boy led Serena to the door of a small classroom on the main floor, but scurried away before she could manage to at least thank him. Hmm, she thought. Perhaps I should’ve held off on my vampires lesson… Well, no matter; the damage is done. She shrugged to herself and opened the classroom door.

The first thing she saw was Rita Skeeter, and she had to restrain herself from pulling out her wand and giving the woman the what-for she surely deserved. She barely had time to register who else was in the room before several things happened at once: Dumbledore exclaimed, –Ah, here she is;” Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime both loudly demanded to know why Serena was there, exactly; and someone smelling of woodchips and screaming Serena’s name launched themselves at her, nearly tackling her to the ground.

–Bloody hell--!” Serena really was reaching for her wand now, but was stopped by a familiar laugh.

–Oh come on, now; it’s only me!” The tackler released their grip, and it took Serena half a moment to process the smiling face of the young, brown-haired, bespectacled witch standing before her.

–Kat!” exclaimed Serena. –Wait… What are you doing here?”

Kat chuckled. –Well, seeing as how it’s the Weighing of the Wands, I thought it might be obvious.”

Serena was still confused. –If that’s what this is, then I’m wondering what I’m doing here,” she said, turning to Dumbledore.

–Zat is what we are all wondering, Dumbly-dorr,” said Madame Maxime.

Karkaroff started to say something but Dumbledore cleared his throat, cutting him off. –I asked Professor Wolfsbane to attend for my own reasons, none of which need to be explained at this time.” He held up a hand to silence further questioning. –It’s high time we get down to business, and explanations will only hinder us.”

The headmaster turned to the four champions. –As I was saying, this is Mr. Ollivander--” he gestured to the old wizard who was standing next to Kat and Serena. –And his apprentice, Miss Rowan.” He gestured to Kat. –They will be checking your wands to ensure that they are in good condition before the Tournament.”

–Well then,” Serena murmured to Kat. –That does explain why you’re here, doesn’t it?”

Kat nodded, watching intently as Ollivander examined Fleur’s wand. –He really could’ve done this himself, but he asked me to come along. Once in a lifetime opportunity, you know… ” Her voice trailed off and Serena rolled her eyes. When it came to wands, Kat’s focus was nowhere else. –A veela core…?” she breathed, fascinated. Serena chuckled, bringing Kat out of her reverie.

–So,” Serena whispered, not wanting to disturb Ollivander and the others. –Have you heard much about this Potter boy?”

–Hm? Oh, yes,” said Kat absentmindedly. –Everyone’s been talking about him being the ‘unprecedented fourth champion’… Bit suspicious, if you ask me.”

–My thoughts exactly,” said Serena. –I don’t much care for the boy, personally. He’s just like Evans was, you remember? Everyone’s favorite…” Serena frowned at the memory.

–Yeah, Evans,” muttered Kat. –Bit of a nutter, that one… No one in their right mind… Married that stuck-up… Potter boy… Ooh, I remember his wand; Diggory, was it? Nasty piece of work, that unicorn.”

Aaand she’s gone again, thought Serena, shaking her head. Ollivander called Kat over to him to inspect Viktor’s wand (–A Gregorovitch, yes? Interesting styling…”), and Dumbledore moved closer to Serena.

–I do apologize for interrupting your daily routine with this,” he said softly. –But I thought it best to have someone extra here to keep an eye on everything, and your uncle was feeling a bit under the weather.” Serena nodded. She understood, but she didn’t like it. So much fuss over the Potter boy…

–Besides,” said Dumbledore with a small smile. –Miss Rowan insisted.”
End Notes:
These are progressively getting longer, I've noticed... Lots of canon reference in this one, but we feel that the little stuff is important too. Hopefully y'all feel the same (don't want to bore y'all lol). At any rate, we hope you've been enjoying our story so far, and thanks so much to y'all who've written reviews. We love feedback!
--Shiloh
Chapter 3 by Shiloh_Tovah
Author's Notes:
Canon passages (mostly having to do with plot) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapter 20 ("The First Task"), and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--3--

Kat remained at Hogwarts till after supper, when she and Serena went down into Hogsmeade for a catch-up and a drink or two. They talked long into the night about anything and everything -- mostly concerning Kat’s recent travels in search of wand materials, as well as Serena’s experiences teaching at Hogwarts.

–So,” said Kat eventually. –You haven’t talked to Snape at all? I thought you would’ve jumped at the chance.”

Serena rolled her eyes. –Believe me, it’s not for lack of trying. He’s been avoiding me like the plague.”

Kat shrugged. –That’s either smart thinking on his part, or he’s hiding something. And knowing Snivellus--”

–Don’t call him that.”

–--it’s most likely the latter.” She thoughtfully sipped her butterbeer. –Of course, it’s entirely possible that it’s both. You always were excellent at unnerving him.” Serena smirked proudly and Kat chuckled.

–In all seriousness, though,” she continued. –I’d keep my eye on him if I were you.” She dropped her voice ever so slightly. –Once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater; you know.”

–Dumbledore seems to trust him enough to let him teach, though heavens knows why…” said Serena. –And I am keeping my eye on him; who do you think you’re talking to?”

Kat gave a sort of apologetic smile. –I know, I know. I’m just saying, as your friend: I know you want answers and all that out of Snape, but do try not to get too comfortable with him around. Know what I mean?”

Serena nodded, and they left it at that. The two parted ways after they’d had their fill of talk and drink, but as Serena trudged back up to the castle, Kat’s words echoed in the back of her mind.

Once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater.

***********


The morning of the first task of the Triwizard Tournament dawned upon a particularly irritable Professor Snape. His morning classes passed far more slowly than he would have preferred; filled with far more annoying, incompetent, insufferable little children than he felt anyone should have to encounter. Nevertheless, it seemed too soon before he found himself navigating the school grounds with his Slytherins in tow, along with everyone else making their way to where the task was to be held. Severus passed by the champion's tent and had just reached the foot of the spectator's stands when he saw her.

Wolfsbane. She didn't seem to have noticed him yet, but Severus could tell she was subtly looking round for him. He attempted to quickly lose himself in the crowd of students (now scrambling to get good seats) which was all easier said than done, considering the students currently surrounding him were first-years, all of whom Snape towered over even when he wasn't trying to.

By some stroke of luck, Severus managed to get to his seat without crossing Serena's path. Everyone else had begun to settle in their seats as well, and Snape scanned the crowd to make sure everything was as it should be. As he did so, he briefly caught Serena's eye. She was sitting several rows away from him and was now focused on the Swedish Short-Snout that had just entered the enclosure, so he knew he was safe. What concerned him was the look on her face. Her features were stern and unmoving; the very picture of determination. Snape had seen that look many times before, and it did not bode well at all. Quite truthfully, it unnerved him.

But there was no chance of Snape letting anyone know that. The look on his own face was, as always, one of unshakeable indifference.


Later that night, Snape was hidden away in his office, flipping through old spell and potion books. It was how he spent most of his evenings at Hogwarts, when he wasn't grading essays and such. He appreciated the quiet time to himself after being around students all day and was immensely annoyed when there was a sudden knock on his door.

Most people knew not to bother him outside of the regular school hours, so normally Severus would have rushed to the door expecting a message of emergency from Dumbledore. This time, however, he stayed still and -- more importantly -- silent.

It could be her, thought Snape just as there was another brisk knock that was significantly louder than the first. He slowly pointed his wand at the door and muttered, "Perspicio." Immediately the door became one-way transparent, and there she was. Snape couldn’t believe his eyes; Serena Wolfsbane was standing at his office door.

Well well, he sneered to himself. Finally plucked up the courage, did she? The thought of her coming to him like this had always been in the back of his mind, which had prompted his precautions, but he never thought she would have the nerve. Yet there she stood, with that same determined expression, as she knocked a third time.

He remained seated at his desk, watching her through the transparent door. He watched her raise her wand and murmur –Alohomora,” but before she finished the spell Snape had already cast the countercharm. He couldn’t help himself from smirking as she tried to open the still-locked door. Finally, she rolled her eyes and abruptly turned and walked away. Snape chuckled to himself. An Auror who gives up that easily is why our world is still in danger of the Dark Lord.

Serena'd had enough, but she was far from giving up. She distanced herself from the office door and aimed her wand. –Reducto.”

The door immediately exploded, sending pieces of wood and metal flying. Severus jumped to his feet and pulled his wand from inside his robes as Serena entered the room. They stared at each other, neither knowing what to say, and Snape was suddenly enraged with her for breaking into his office and disturbing his night.

Serena did not dare take her eyes off him, and with good reason: he suddenly sent a curse flying towards her. But she was fast and prepared. She blocked the curse and sent it flying into a wall lined with flasks of potions which shattered onto the floor. For a moment they both stood staring at each other in disbelief. Then Serena raised her wand. If it was a fight Severus wanted, she was more than ready. She shot a curse at him, which he blocked then returned with a counterjinx. Everything seemed to move faster as they dueled, his ebony wand against her sycamore. They circled the room sending curses at one another; misses and ricochets sent books and papers falling from their shelves. Bottles of potions exploded all around them.

Serena did not hold back any of the anger that had built up over the years. She used every jinx and hex she could think of as she quickly advanced on Severus. She was sending the curses so fast that he had no time to retaliate, and only just enough time to defend himself. Finally she screamed –Expelliarmus!” and Snape's wand flew out of his hand and onto the floor.

They glared at each other as they both tried to catch their breath. He had gone easy on her, which was a terrible mistake. She was no longer the timid witch he had known twenty years ago. Now she was skilled, powerful, and absolutely brilliant.

Serena was the first to speak, but when she did the words came out almost in a low growl. At first Snape thought the voice was coming from another pairs of lips, but another look proved they were Serena’s.

–Enough of this foolishness! Honestly Severus, after all these years, after everything we’ve been through, we still can't act like civilized people around each other?” He didn’t respond. They glared at each other a moment longer.

–Pick up your wand!” she snapped as she whipped around, her back now towards him. Severus knelt to the ground slowly, carefully, never taking his eyes off her as he retrieved his wand from where it had fallen. As he stood up, Serena silently waved her wand and the room began to rearrange itself to its proper order. After she was done, the room looked untouched. Every book and potion was back on its shelf and the recently exploded door was whole and, once again, locked.

Serena sat down in front of Severus’ desk, while he still stood staring at her. –Sit!” she barked. He slowly sat back down at his desk.

Serena cleared her throat. –I know why you have been avoiding me Severus, and I finally decided that I was tired of waiting for you to find the courage to stop hiding from me.” Her words were coming out so quickly she hardly had time to breathe. –Now, I want to know everything from the very beginning; how and why he had to--”

–Your brother is dead!” said Severus. –There is nothing you can do to bring him back! Hearing about how the Dark Lord murdered him will not bring you closure; therefore, we have nothing to discuss.” Serena had to suppress the sudden lump in her throat before she could speak again. She didn’t dare show Snape the way his words affected her.

–I know it won’t bring him back,” she said softly. –I am aware that no one will ever be able to justify his death or make his loss any easier, but Severus… I must know.”

They sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity before Severus spoke again. –Tyler had been protecting Muggles against the Dark Lord’s wishes. One time in particular, the Death Eaters were sent to a town with orders to kill all the Muggle inhabitants, but when we arrived there were none to be found. It was obvious they had been warned. Because of Tyler’s sensitivity towards murder most of us suspected him, even though he told no one of his betrayal; not even me. But it is very difficult to lie to the Dark Lord; therefore, your brother’s charade did not last long.”

Severus paused, checking Serena’s expression, but she remained unreadable. –One day,” he continued, –we were told there would be another raid on a Muggle house. Your brother was included in the assigned Death Eaters.” Severus paused again, but only briefly, as if choosing his words carefully. –This particular raid was a trap. The Dark Lord and the rest of the Death Eaters, including myself, were waiting for Tyler when he came to warn the Muggles ahead of time. The Dark Lord disarmed him, tortured him, forced him to admit every last detail of his treachery.

–And then, he had us bring out the Muggle family that lived in the house. He commanded Tyler to kill them, but your brother refused. That is, until the Dark Lord gave him a choice: either Tyler kill the Muggles, or the Dark Lord would kill them as painfully and as inhumanely as possible.” Severus took a slow breath. –In reality, Tyler did those Muggles a favor by killing them himself. He was much kinder than the Dark Lord would have been. Once they were dead, the Dark Lord cast the strongest Cruciatus Curse on Tyler that I’d ever witnessed; so strong that he was rendered completely immobile by the pain. The Dark Lord then set fire to the house and we Disapparated, leaving your brother and the dead Muggles there to burn.” Severus fell silent as Serena stared at him, taking in his story.

–So you knew,” she said finally. –You knew this would happen to him.”

–Yes.”

There was another long pause before Serena stood up. Snape had to restrain himself from recoiling in his seat, wary of her reaction. But Serena merely said, –Thank you, Severus,” and turned to leave.

He relaxed as Serena strode towards the door. Well, he thought. That went smoother than I expec--

–Reducto!” she screamed. Severus jumped as his office door was once again obliterated, but Serena merely stepped over the debris and vanished.
End Notes:
Sorry about the long wait. Ran into a bit of writer's block with this one. Hope y'all are enjoying the story. Reviews are much appreciated!
~Shiloh
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91750