When The Rose Fell by majestic_ginny, Ginny Weasley Potter
Summary: Rose Weasley’s sixth year at Hogwarts is going perfectly well. She is in love. She is in a wonderful, near-perfect relationship with Ben Defrost and she adores every moment of it. She has aced her OWLs and is doing brilliantly in her NEWTs. Her whole family is proud of her. Everything seems so perfect.

And then it all starts to go downhill.

Scorpius Malfoy may not have a perfect life, but he’s very happy with it. He enjoys being single and the absence of all the nagging from his ex. He is content with his position in the Slytherin Quidditch team and he has fresh new ways to bother the Potter-Weasley clan. He has kept his nose clean and his parents are happy with him.

Until he forms an unlikely friendship with a fallen Weasley.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Pottermore Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 7883 Read: 3929 Published: 09/08/12 Updated: 11/24/12
Story Notes:
JK Rowling is not two people, so we’re definitely not her.

1. Chapter 1: Get a Room by majestic_ginny

2. Chapter 2: Private Affairs by Ginny Weasley Potter

Chapter 1: Get a Room by majestic_ginny
Author's Notes:
We’d like to thank Sophie/the owl, our wonderful, wonderful Beta for her help with this. Thank you so very much, dear!

Reviews will be squeed upon twice; just so you know. :)


Scorpius Malfoy

Winter is my favourite time of the year. The climate reminds me of myself -- cool and nonchalant when the snowflakes come down innocently, but sometimes, harsh, fun-loving and uncaring during a blizzard. Yes, I’m not amongst the warmest of people on this planet but I’ve never cared about the effect it has on others. I’ve always had friends -- either the offspring of Dad’s friends from school, or some of the other Slytherins who befriended me the moment I was Sorted into Slytherin because of the social status that my last name carries.

True, our family earned a bad name after the war, but Harry Potter had cleared Dad’s name somewhat, so it was really only Grandfather who ended up earning the bad reputation. Ever since my parents got married, Mum got involved in all these charities to prove to everyone that the Malfoys could do good things. So, right now, we are back amongst the most reputable wizarding families. I’ve heard stories of the stuff that my grandparents have done and though I am a true Malfoy, I’m not proud of them. Maybe it’s because I was brought up very differently from my father. My family -- very forcefully and not at all with pleasure, I assure you -- abandoned the idea of the superiority of pure-blood wizards over everyone else. No one wanted to get into trouble like Grandfather again.

Since a very young age, I had been assured by Grandfather that I was a very special child. He seemed to think I was triply special or something, but before he could explain why, Dad would always stop him and tell me that I was just extremely special because I was a wizard and a Malfoy. There were always a lot of things I never understood about my grandparents and, sometimes, Dad. I knew they had a troubled past, but I wasn’t sure what that was. However, the day my Hogwarts letter arrived home, Mum and Dad sat me down and told me Dad’s story. They told me about everything -- the Dark Lord, the entire discrimination between pure-bloods and Muggle-borns, Dad becoming a Death Eater, being forced to kill Dumbledore (but not doing it anyway -- I was relieved that Dad wasn’t a murderer), being held prisoner along with my grandparents by the Dark Lord himself at this very Manor… I shuddered at the story and realised that I was thankful I was born a long time after all this, because I would never be able to please anyone with my kind of attitude towards these things.

Grandfather was upset at my reaction to these tales -- livid, rather. I think he expected me to be proud of my family or something, but I wasn’t proud at all. Grandfather told me that night that I was worthless and would probably end up in Hufflepuff.

When the Sorting happened and I was put in Slytherin anyway, we became the best of friends again. He would write to me all the time, asking me what was going on, how the Potter-Weasley clan behaved and everything, and I told him about all the classes and that I didn’t care about the Potter-Weasley clan. I guess that’s when he lost all hopes of me becoming a Pure-blood supporter. I think he secretly hoped that the Pure-bloods at Hogwarts would form a committee or something, but everybody’s parents were smart enough either not to incite such thoughts into their children in the first place, or even if they did, to ask their kids to shut up and keep these opinions to themselves.

Yes, the reason I like winter has a long explanation. Actually, there are two long explanations to it. The second one is so much longer and better. Oh, it’s so much better…

*


December, 2022

–Hey, Malfoy! Quidditch practice in ten minutes. Stop dreaming by the fireplace and get your arse to the Quidditch pitch!”

I turned around and gave Ayesha, our Quidditch Captain, a thumbs-up, so she knew I had heard her. Then I stood up, stretched and made my way to the dormitory to wrap myself in a few more layers of clothes and get my broomstick for practice. In the five minutes, I was heading towards the Quidditch pitch, broomstick in hand and all but my eyes completely covered so that I wouldn’t freeze while I flew. Ayesha was waiting for the others with her hands on her hips and I waved at her.

–You look like one of those Muggle Japanese things that run up walls, Malfoy,” she said.

–What Muggle Japanese things?”

–Forget it. I don’t want to explain it to you now.”

I shrugged. –Mind if I just take a round on my broomstick so I can get used to the biting cold that you’ve damned us all to die in?”

She rolled her eyes. –Go. And if it’s not now, it’s never, Malfoy! We have to win the Quidditch Cup this year. Remember that.”

–Yeah, yeah, you’re the best,” I said sarcastically and took off into the air before she could hit me with her broom.

The weather was horrible. Tiny flakes of snow were falling from the unending sky. The sunrays were too weak for any comfort and before I had done two laps of the pitch, I was craving the fire again. I was circling downwards, my whole body numb from the extreme cold, when I saw them in the stands.

It was Rose Weasley and Benjamin Defrost. They both sat high up in the stands, covered in layers of clothing (which I guessed would come off later anyway, once they were someplace warmer). They were staring into each others’ eyes. And then Weasley suddenly leaned forward and she and Defrost started to snog in the most disgusting, puke-inducing way. Merlin, how stupid could they be to kiss in the Quidditch stands in this biting cold, when they belonged to the same house?

An idea struck me and I decided to have some fun. I zoomed towards them, the whooshing of the air already a little muffled by the wind that was starting to blow. I reached a spot about ten feet above them and suddenly plunged downwards at top speed. When I was a foot away from them, they realised they were not alone and broke apart, alarmed. Weasley even threw herself into Defrost’s arms before I took a sharp upward turn, shouting, –GET A ROOM!”

I was several feet in the air before Weasley’s agitated, muffled voice reached me. –Bastard!”

I ignored it and rode away to join the rest of my team. Ayesha was glaring in my direction when I joined them. –I just noticed Weasley and Defrost in the stands. Did you tell them to leave? We can’t have two Gryffindors here while we practice. Defrost is on their Quidditch team too.”

–I certainly embarrassed them enough to hope they will leave,” I replied and no sooner had I said it, I watched Weasley and Defrost get up and run down the stands. They walked quickly, passing us while Defrost gave me the finger. And then they were gone. Ayesha looked at me.

–You interrupted them, didn’t you? You’re an arse.”

I shrugged as she released the Quaffle and sped off with the other Chasers and the Keeper to practice throwing it around.

Winter. December. The December of 2022. That was when it all started. This was just a snippet of the beginning, though. There was a lot more to come. And I would never know until it came.




Rose Weasley


Daddy was right -- Malfoys were the world’s biggest gits. He had some nerve, swooping up on us like that. How dare he do something as idiotic as interrupting someone’s private matters? He had no business looking at us. Stomping up the stone steps of the Entrance Hall, I vowed then and there to make him pay one day.

Or, I thought diabolically, I could just ask James to knock him off his broom in the next match versus Slytherin. I think James would like that very much, too.

–Um, babe? Where exactly are we going?” Ben asked as he calmly ambled along. Even though Ben was a Quidditch player (and a very fit one, too) I found it frustrating that he could keep pace with me so easily, even though I was practically sprinting.

–Someplace special,” I said cryptically.

It took us ten minutes to climb up to the seventh floor. Once in front of the tapestry of the dancing trolls, I asked Ben to stand there quietly as I walked past the bare stretch of wall.

–What in the name of Merlin are you doing?” Ben asked, crossing his arms across his chest and staring at me in a bemused way.

I smiled at him knowingly and, once I was done pacing for the third time, I stood back and watched his reaction as the huge door materialized in front of him. The Room of Requirement had its own brand of magic; no wonder that it managed to restore itself after that horrific fire uncle Harry told us about. I’ve felt nothing but awe every time I went there.

The doors creaked open, revealing a large chamber. I took Ben’s hand and pulled him into the room.

–What is this?” Ben asked, enthralled, swivelling his head around to look. The room had transformed itself into a small, cosy chamber with a plush carpet and a comfy-looking sofa. –I’ve never seen this place before.”

–This is the Room of Requirement,” I said, walking up to the sofa and plopping down on it. –It becomes whatever you need. We’ve been together for two months now, so I guess it was time I showed this place to you.”

–So...” he trailed off, looking at me. His eyes lit up, and in an instant he was beside me, crashing his lips onto mine. He kissed me with a passion that I’ve never seen in him before. His fingers entwined with my hair as I felt his tongue touch my lips. I felt like I was on fire as I parted my lips to allow his tongue in and trace the borders of my mouth. It was amazing. It was the best thing I had ever felt. I clashed my tongue with his, then enjoying the tantalising sensation. He was such an amazing kisser. Oh Merlin… oh, Merlin… I’d probably die with pleasure right then.

His lips moved from mine and I moaned, my heart racing as he trailed kisses along my jaw line. His caresses were now more fervent, and he gripped my hair harder with one hand as he made his way towards my neck, and he tugged at my T-shirt with the other. I had to bite my lip as he nibbled down on my neck. Even though I loved every bit of it, I felt like something was wrong. I didn’t think I was ready for this -- for I knew that this would definitely lead to sex. In some part of my conscience, I knew that my parents would be disappointed if they knew that I did it.

–Ben,” I managed to gasp. Sweet Merlin, he felt so… good.

My voice seemed to have enticed him further as his hands started to snake their way under my clothes. For a second I felt like letting him go on. –Ben, wait,” I mumbled as I put my hand on his, stopping him.

He looked up at me, confused. –What is it, baby?” He asked.

–Let’s not go any further,” I said quietly, looking at him apologetically. –I don’t... I don’t think I’m ready.”

–It’s been two months,” he said, looking confused. –It’s been long enough -”

–No, Ben,” I said firmly. Merlin, he didn’t get it. –It’s way too early. I’m not... you know.”

He gave me a chilling look. For a moment, I felt afraid. What if he thought I didn’t want him? What if he thought I was a sissy for not wanting to do it and dumped me? I didn’t think I could handle that; Ben was the only guy I’d actually felt a spark with. I didn’t want to lose it under any circumstances.

Then, to my utter relief, his lips curved into a smile. –That’s okay, I guess,” he said. ”As long as we get to do it someday,” he added as an afterthought.

I grinned and kissed him on the cheek.

He kissed me softly on the lips before getting up and pulling me to my feet. –Now I say we better go back to the Tower. That annoying cousin of yours who also happens to be my roommate might send a search party if we’re out too late.”

I chuckled as we walked out of the Room of Requirement, arm in arm. Behind us the door swung shut and shrunk until there was only bare stone.

*


–Where have you two been?” Dom asked as we walked through the portrait hole. Then, seeing our dishevelled looks, she scrunched up her face. –Oh, don’t tell me. I don’t think I want to know.”

–Shut up,” I said, swatting her leg (which was draped over the arm of the couch) and sat down on the sofa beside her. The Gryffindor common room was, as was common at seven in the evening, packed. Ben gave me a wink and made his way through the crowd towards his dormitory.

Dominique was, for a lack of better word, a tomboy. While Victoire was a prim and proper princess and in a steady relationship with Teddy Lupin, Dominique was the total opposite; she hated relationships and boys of any sort. With her short, cropped blonde hair, baggy clothes and army boots, she was the only Weasley girl who had never had a boyfriend of any sort. It drove Auntie Fleur mad.

–I think Al was looking for you,” she said, looking at me over her copy of Quidditch Weekly.

–Why?”

–I don’t know. Something about excessive and uncontrollable PDA while you two were supposed to be gathering dirt on the Slytherins,” she said, disgusted. –Scorpius Malfoy was apparently kind enough to tell him when they passed each other in the corridor.”

I groaned. I had entirely forgotten why Ben was supposed to be there. And trust Malfoy to go and rat us out to Al... –Remind me never to accompany Ben on a mission,” I mumbled.

–I think you should never accompany him anywhere,” Dom stated bluntly.

I felt like hitting her.

–Have you seen Alice anywhere?” I asked instead, trying to change the subject. Alice was Uncle Neville’s daughter, and my best friend. At the moment, I really needed her advice about what to do about Ben and his... desires.

–She went up to your dormitory around ten minutes before you came in,” Dom said lazily, not taking her eyes off her magazine. I thanked her and made my way towards the fifth-year girls’ dormitory.

As Dom had said, I found Alice propped up on her bed, leaning against her pillow, which was propped vertically against the headboard, reading one of her trashy Muggle romance stories. Other than being my closest, non-relative friend, she was my go-to for any sort of relationship problems; with her calm demeanour, her listening skills and her innate ability to give excellent advice, Alice could solve any problem.

–Oi, Alice?” I said sitting down at the foot of her bed.

She put down her book and smiled at me. –You look worried,” she guessed easily. This was why I loved her. –Is everything okay?”

–Well,” I started. –Ben and I were in the... Room of Requirement --”

–I can guess why,” she said, raising her eyebrows. –And?”

–And things got a little heated...”

I told her what happened in the Room and how Ben had wanted to go further and how I had stopped him. I told her why I didn’t want to do it just yet. I told her about Ben’s reaction and that momentary anger I thought had flashed across his eyes. –Does that make me a bad girlfriend?” I asked.

Alice scrutinized me through her deep blue eyes, playing with a strand of her blonde hair. After a while she replied, –No, not really. I mean, Ben is a guy and it’s his nature to want to do something like that. You have the right to say no. Maybe he might have been a bit hurt when you stopped him, but he didn’t show it, did he? He was still okay, wasn’t he?”

I nodded.

–See?” she smiled happily. –I’m sure he isn’t pissed at you! Why would he be, anyway? I don’t think he should be pressuring you, in any case.”

–So he won’t think I’m a prude?”

Alice narrowed her eyes at me. –Of course he won’t.”

I reached forwards and hugged Alice. Then I stood up and skipped down to the common room, where I found Ben sitting by the fire, doing his homework. I plopped down beside him and kissed him on the cheeks.

–Not that I didn’t love it, but what was that for?” Ben asked, surprised.

–For being awesome,” I replied shortly.

Who knew that, someday, I was going to think back and regret my words so much?
End Notes:
So, what do you think so far? Review please! :D
Chapter 2: Private Affairs by Ginny Weasley Potter
Author's Notes:
Thank youuuu, Sophie, for being so wonderful and helping us with this chapter!

Hello, everyone! So after that long, pretty much unintended hiatus, Nadia and I are back with another chapter! :D Sorry about that, and I hope we can finish the next chapter sooner, though with my exams and stuff, it may take time. But I promise we will try. :)


Rose Weasley

–Oh, Alice, I’ll miss you so much!”

–Rose, you do realise you’re not going away for forever, right?”

I let go of Alice and gave her an annoyed look. It was the start of the Christmas holidays. I really couldn’t wait to go back to the Burrow for a family gathering and have Grandma Molly’s food -- not that the Hogwarts food was bad, though; I just liked Grandma’s cooking much better.

Alice was going home too, but for her, home was right there in Hogsmeade.

–Promise me you’ll visit,” I said.

–Of course I will,” she assured me. –And I’ll write, too. And we’ll see each other at Christmas anyway. Your grandma always invites us, and I’m sure she won’t forget this year.” She turned a light shade of pink.

–And you’ll get to meet Lysander, too,” I said.

She blushed deeper and nodded, not really meeting my eyes.

Alice had a massive crush on Lysander, though I had a feeling that he didn’t really reciprocate her feelings. Lysander really wasn’t that interested in girls; unlike his twin brother Lorcan, who was in a steady relationship, Lysander was more interested in magical creatures. Though he knew Alice very well, he didn’t really like her in that sort of way.

Behind me, the door creaked open. I turned my neck to see who it was.

Lily was standing there, her hands on her hips and her flaming red hair tied up in a high ponytail. –Oh for the love of Merlin,” she said incredulously, shaking her head. –We’ve been waiting for you downstairs for hours!”

–Why?” I asked, frowning. –I told you all to leave.”

–Al won’t go without you,” she said, rolling her eyes. –James and the others left, though.”

That was really sweet of Al, I thought. I turned to Alice and hugged her again, before telling her to write to me often and finally saying goodbye. With Lily in tow, I levitated my trunk and scurried down the stairs.

The common room was almost empty, except for a couple of third years who were staying behind and Al and Ben. Both were dressed in Muggle clothes. I walked over to Ben and kissed him on the cheek. He looked really dashing, with his dark hair flipped to the side carelessly in a way that almost made me swoon. He pulled me closer to him and stroked my back with his finger -- in such a way that Al and Lily wouldn’t see it.

–What took you so long?” Al asked, trying to ignore mine and Ben’s closeness. Even if he knew what Ben was doing, he chose to ignore it.

Lily rolled her eyes. –Saying goodbye to Alice as if she’d never see her again,” she grumbled. –‘Oh Alice, don’t go away! I can’t live without you, my darling--’ ow!”

–That’s for mocking me, you little git,” I snapped. She glared at me.

Lily was one of my closest cousins apart from Al, and we really fought the most. When we were younger, Lily and James would often prank us to no end and I was Lily’s favourite cousin to prank. She was also the prettier one out of the two of us -- my dull red curls were nothing compared to her sleek, bright red hair, and while I was pale, she had naturally tanned skin which was a result of the hours of playing Quidditch.

Despite being very clueless and tactless, she was rather fun, and she went out of her way to try and help me with fashion stuff -- something I was a bit weak at.

Al cleared his throat. –Can we leave now?” he asked impatiently.

–Finally,” Lily muttered, tossing her red hair. She grabbed her trunk and trotted out of the portrait hole.

I followed, with Al and Ben bringing up the rear.

***

The train was crowded.

Well, it was always crowded, but for some reason I felt that there were far more people in there than usual. It took a lot of shoving and pushing to get to our compartement, and by the time we got there, Lily had already threatened twelve people with dangerous hexes that I didn’t even know where she got from. James and Louis were waiting for us inside, and one look at their face told me that they were up to something.

Once he and Ben had finished putting the luggage in the racks above, Al plopped down on his seat and, closing his eyes, leaned his head backwards. Lily sat down beside him and pulled me down beside her, her face unreadable. I looked at Ben; he looked at me, his eyebrows raised.

I understood. As I had sat beside Lily and Al, that left him to sit beside James and Louis.

And neither of them liked him one bit. I could already see them sneering up at him.

Al looked up. –Um, Ben?” he said nonchalantly. –Are you going to sit or will you be standing for the whole ride? Because if you are, I’m going to ask Fred to sit with us too.”

Oh for Merlin’s sake, why did they hate him so much?

–No, that’s okay,” Ben said through gritted teeth, trying hard not to retort. Grudgingly, he took the seat between James and Louis.

PZZZTTTTT!

I stared in shock as Ben yelped up, swearing loudly. Peals of laughter exploded in the compartment; James and Louis were doubling over with laughter and Al was almost rolling on the floor.

Oh Merlin, no.

Lily looked at Ben and burst out, "Ew, Ben, you can't fart in front of your girlfriend! That's gross of you!"

Ben was livid. The vein on his temple looked ready to burst as he yelled out, –Oh, very funny, guys. Really mature of you!”

He was pissed. He was very pissed. And that didn’t bode too well.

–Relax, it was a joke,” Albus replied exasperatedly in between laughs, rolling his eyes,

Ben glared at me and I shrunk under his gaze. Though I knew he wasn’t mad at me, I knew that he could have a mean temper, and what James and the others had done could very well mean that Ben wouldn’t talk to them for a long, long time. And I didn’t want to have to choose between my cousins and my boyfriend.

He slid open the door so hard that it ricocheted off the end and the glass shuddered. His jaw set, he looked at me. –You coming?” It was less of a question and more of an order.

–Really, mate?” James snarled, now standing up as well. All hints of mirth were gone from his face and were replaced by annoyance.

–You really think you’re gonna do something like that and I’ll --” Ben started, but James cut across him.

–It was a fucking joke --”

–Well, I don’t care what it --”

–Then fine, get out!” James roared.

For a second no one spoke. I looked between the two of them hesitantly, fearing that they would start a duel. They both had mean tempers and if things got out of hand....

And then to my surprise, Ben smiled. –Okay, I’ll go then,” he said casually, as though he were commenting on the weather. –Rose, you want to come along?”

Bemused, I blinked. What had just happened? One second James and Ben were at each other’s throats, preparing to whip out their wands, and now all of a sudden Ben was acting as though they hadn’t just tried to murder each other in front of everyone.

I looked at Al, who looked as befuddled as I was. Lily was gaping at Ben.

–Um, okay,” I squeaked.

He smiled at me with that lopsided smile I adored so much. –Well, I’ll see you guys later,” he said, and, sliding open the glass doors, he strode out of the compartment.

Glancing nervously at James, who seemed to have calmed down, I scurried out after Ben.

He had stopped only a few feet away, hidden from sight of the two adjacent compartments, leaning against the wall of the train and taking deep, heavy breaths. Now that I noticed, he wasn’t okay at all. It was just a facade he had put up in front of my cousins. He was trembling, and his fists were clenching and unclenching as though he’d like nothing better to hit something.

–Ben?” I called cautiously, creeping up to him. I put a hand on his shoulder.

–Are you okay?”

He clamped his eyes shut and looked the other way, clenching his fists into balls.

–Ben?”

–I’m sorry,” he muttered, breathing heavily. –I lost control, I shouldn’t have.”

I took his hands in mine and slowly stroked them with my thumbs, willing him to calm down. That’s what I loved the most about him: it wasn’t even his fault and he was apologising. Looking directly at him, I whispered, –Don’t apologise. It’s not your fault.”

Gently removing his hands from mine, he faced away from me, putting his hands on his hips and staring out of the window. –Do you know how hard it was for me to control myself back there? It pissed me off so much, but I couldn’t do a thing. If it was anyone else, I would have...” he trailed off, staring at the scenery fly by. –The only reason I walked away right then is because I knew I couldn’t hold myself any longer. I’d have hexed him into oblivion. But that would have hurt you. I didn’t want to hurt you.”

Right then and there, I felt myself melt.

I walked over to him and turned him around slowly, willing him to look into my eyes. I loved his eyes. They were a brilliant shade of electric blue, not soft and kind, but a colour that sent jolts down my spine. His features softened and he put on a weak smile, drawing me into a hug.

Resting my head on his chest, I murmured, –You’ll never hurt me.”

Slowly, he lifted my chin and kissed me. It was slow and soft, and I felt his hands draw circles on my back. –What do you say we find another compartment?” he murmured against my lips.

–Sounds lovely,” I breathed.

He pulled back, and, taking my hands in his, he pulled me along the corridor.

Most of them were full of students, and even those that were relatively empty had couples snogging in them. Having no wish to interrupt any of them, we edged forwards, stumbling once or twice as the train rounded a corner.

–There’s an open door,” Ben said, sounding relieved, pointing at a slightly ajar door a few feet away.

–Let’s quickly get to it,” I said, striding towards it and sliding it open. –If someone else gets to it --” I stopped dead in my tracks.

–Oh, gross!” Ben exclaimed

Scorpius Malfoy was sitting on the seat... with his zipper open. Directly in front of him, on her knees, was the Slytherin captain, Ayesha. And by the looks of her mischievous expression, she was about to --

–Merlin, Malfoy, you get an effing room!" I shrieked. It was bloody rich of him to have interrupted me and Ben the other day, and tell Al about us, when this was what he was doing in public!

Malfoy’s head whipped up so fast that I thought I heard his neck crick. He stared from me to Ben, a bewildered expression on his face.

–Weasley, it’s -- it's not what you think --” he stammered, pushing Ayesha away. She landed hard on the floor, and looked very shocked.

–Let’s get out of here,” Ben spat, looking at Malfoy like he was a disgusting piece of slug. Damn right, he was. –I want to wash this out of my memory right now.”

Grabbing Ben’s hand, I pulled him away from there as fast as my legs would carry me.

I mean, how can someone be so disgusting?




Scorpius Malfoy

–Accio Socks!”

A pair of socks flew out of my cabinet and smacked my face before landing at my feet. I sighed before scratching my nose and looking down, deciding to get more practice on the spell as soon as possible. It was annoying me that I kept getting it wrong. Thankfully, it hadn’t appeared on any of our final practical exams, or I’m sure I’d have failed a year.

I bent over and picked up the socks before throwing them into my trunk. Then, I put my hands on my hips and stared at my packing. Every corner of my trunk was occupied by something or the other. My clothes were bundled untidily and the few books I was taking home to study (at Mum’s insistence) were strewn apart carelessly. However, I was rather proud of myself for having finished packing. I went down on my knees, shut my trunk and started casting spells to lock it.

–Oi Malfoy, are you done already?” asked a voice as I looked up to see my roommate, Elliot Nott, make his way into the dormitory. –The train’s leaving in half an hour.”

–If there’s still half an hour, Elliot, I doubt Malfoy would be done yet,” said a cheerful voice as Nott’s sister, Deanna followed him into the room. Elliot and Deanna had a third brother, Rigel. They were triplets who were all very close friends of mine, though I was closest to Deanna, whom I had nicknamed ‘Nottie’. I referred to Elliot as ‘Nott’ and Rigel as ‘Notter’.

I stood up and smirked at brother and sister, knowing I had proved them wrong this time. –I’m done,” I said with relish in my voice.

Nottie’s jaw dropped. –Seriously? Let me see!”

She came over and opened the trunk with her wand. –Oh, Merlin, eww!”

–What?” I asked, frowning at her. –What’s wrong with this?”

–You can’t pack your stuff for nuts,” she sighed. –Move over. I know a simple spell to do it.”

–No, it’s fine,” I muttered defensively.

–Sure it is,” she said, –unless you want to detach your arm carrying it. When are you going to stop being a Mummy’s boy, Malfoy?”

–Shut up,” I grumbled. I damn well knew how to pack a trunk!

She shook her head exasperatedly as she waved her wand several times, and everything in my trunk arranged itself neatly. In two minutes, everything was ready and when I shut my trunk and lifted it, I found that it seemed lighter too. I grinned at Nottie. –Not bad, Nottie. Learning from Rose Weasley, are we?”

She glared at me. –Don’t compare me with her. She had the audacity to snatch away Defrost from under my nose.”

–Well, winners, keepers,” I shrugged. –You should have tried harder. You kept saying, and I quote, ‘he’s a bloody Gryffindor.’”

–Well, he’s gorgeous,” said Nottie. –Pity he’s a Gryffindor, or I’d have asked him out. Father will never forgive me if I date a Gryffindor, though I guess it really isn’t that big a deal now. And why are you being so defensive of Weasley?” Nottie asked me. A mischievous grin spread over her face. –You don’t like her or something, do you?”

–Of course not!” said a voice before I could reply (and I was going to say the same thing), as Ayesha entered the room. She was already dressed and seemed to have come to call us to the common room. –Are you ready?”

–I am,” I said, going over to the bed and pulling a jacket over my multiple layers of clothing. –Are Notter and Harper at the common room, then?”

–Rigel is waiting upstairs,” Nottie replied to me. –I don’t know about Harper, though.”

–Harper is there too,” said Ayesha. –And so is Linda. I think we should leave before it’s too late.”

I nodded, lifted my trunk and started to walk out of the dormitory. Ayesha came out directly after me as Nott and Nottie followed her. I was just approaching the staircases when Ayesha came up beside me. –Should I help?”

–Could you just hold this for a moment?” I asked her, handing her my trunk.

She nodded, and the moment she had lifted it, I ran up the flight of stairs. –OI!” I heard Ayesha’s voice call out to me, but I stood there, sniggering to myself. In a few seconds, she entered the common room with the trunk floating in front of her. She walked right to me and drew away her wand, just as the trunk fell on my foot with a thud.

–FUCK!” I bellowed as pain rushed up my foot. –Why did you do that?!”

She grinned and smacked my arse. –Serves you right, Malfoy!”

–Don’t hit my bum,” I said.

–You mean, like, this?” she asked me, smacking my arse again. She chuckled and went on to grab her trunk as Notter, Jeremy Harper and Belinda, or ‘Linda’ Flint joined us. We were all good friends and most of the things we did were together as a group. Nott, Nottie and I were the closest and when Notter wasn’t in his own planet, he joined us. Harper and Linda were also close, but not so much. As for Ayesha, she had joined our little group recently, when she had become my girlfriend for a while.

Yeah, we went out for a while. I was in the relationship for the company, the steady Hogsmeade date and the sex. As far as I could see, there wasn’t much future in it. I kind of liked Ayesha, when you took away all the nagging. But well, she nagged because she was (and still is) smart, and wouldn’t take my dominance over her. She is also pretty and has a tongue on her that I liked… both literally and figuratively speaking Maybe the sex and the blow jobs were what I enjoyed the most, but then I realised soon that that wasn’t all for Ayesha. She wasn’t with me just to get laid once in a while, or to please me. She was actually in love with me.

The day she confessed that to me was when it stopped working for me. I had told her clearly at the beginning of the relationship that I was not looking for anything serious. Somehow, she had completely forgotten that, and this really scared me. I was scared of long-term commitments. I didn’t like committing myself to someone and being heartbroken, or being blamed if it didn’t work out -- not that I’d ever been committed before, but better safe than sorry, right?

I realised soon enough, after Ayesha’s confession, that it was time to end that relationship and stop it from wherever it was going. Sure, I’d miss all the sex and the intimacy, but really, that was secondary. Ayesha meant something to me, and I knew I’d be breaking her heart badly enough by breaking up like this, but it would be worse if I waited more.

She cried a lot on that day. She threw things at me, tried to hex me (and I had to cast a Shield Charm to protect myself). I had never seen Ayesha like that. She’s always calm. I felt sorry for her when she behaved that way, because I realised I had hurt her a lot. But then, I said to myself, she could have been hurt even more and I had just prevented that. I was actually being very nice.

Ayesha tried very hard to get me back. She even faked a pregnancy and managed to win me over for a week, because I honestly thought that I should take responsibility too, if that was the case. Later on I realised she was lying to me, and it was my turn to get pissed off at her. I didn’t talk to her for days and she was back to crying in her dormitory, in front of Nottie, who managed to feel sorry for her. Nottie convinced me to give Ayesha another chance -- as a friend. And so, Ayesha and I went on to become just friends. Ayesha wasn’t happy with it, but she settled. It wasn’t like she had much of a choice anyway. However, she didn’t cling to me or nag anymore and having her just as a friend felt good. Unfortunately, ever since the day that I interrupted Weasley and Defrost, she had started gluing herself to me again.

–Earth to Malfoy!” said Nottie’s voice and I snapped back to reality. She scowled at me. –Stop dreaming about Weasley and move your arse, so we can get on the train before all the compartments are occupied.

–How do you know I was thinking about--” I almost choked, –Rose?” We levitated our trunks and started to exit the common room.

She raised an eyebrow at me. –Whatever you’re trying to do isn’t working.”

–No?” I said as we made our way upstairs to the Entrance Hall. –Well then, I probably shouldn’t mention that I saw her kissing Defrost a few days ago at the Quidditch pitch.”

–That’s great,” she said shortly.

–And,” I continued, –She seemed to be enjoying herself. Maybe Defrost is good.”

–Yeah, you should ask him out. You two will make an attractive pair,” said Nottie, turning around waggling her eyebrows.

Ayesha sniggered from behind us as we walked to the gates, wading through the snow. A very weak sun poked its sleepy head out at us and we could see our breath rise up in a mist as we walked to the train. We were panting slightly from all the wading by the time we got to the platform. Slowly, we boys hauled all the trunks into the train and went inside in search of a compartment, as Ayesha Nottie and Linda waited outside. At long last, we found an empty compartment and, after much pushing, pulling and elbowing from other parties that wanted the compartment, we got in and started shoving the trunks under the seats, or over the ledges as Harper went out to call in the girls.

The journey after that was pleasant. We played a few rounds of Exploding Snap, and filled ourselves with sweets from the trolley. We were just devouring Cauldron Cakes, and Nottie was opening up a Chocolate Frog. She removed the collector’s card and exclaimed in mischievous mirth, –Look who I’ve got!”

I looked up at her and she was holding up the card for everyone to see. It was Ron Weasley.

–I’ve got ten of him,” I muttered, getting back to my cake. –You should have just asked me, if you didn’t have him yet.”

–I thought you’d be more pleased, Malfoy,” Nottie tutted. –He’s your future father-in-law!”

–Really?” I said, looking bewildered. –I thought that was supposed to be Defrost’s father.”

Everyone roared with laughter and I sat back, chuckling to myself. Then all the ‘go get him, Malfoy’ quips began and I played along, noticing that Ayesha was unusually quiet. She looked amused, but she didn’t seem to be joining in at all. After another witty line about me and Defrost from Harper, I waited for the laughter to ebb, and then looked at Ayesha. –Do you have nothing to say?”

–Well,” she said, –unlike these people, I know that you can never be with Defrost!”

–Why not?” I asked, pretending to be offended. –Am I not attractive enough for him?”

She gave me the hint of a smile. –No, because only I know how straight you are.”

Nottie and Linda ooh-ed and Nott slapped my back. I shrugged. –Well, apparently, I am that good.”

–Ugh, don’t start on that now,” said Linda. –We don’t want to know!”

–Anyway,” said Harper, standing up and stretching, –I’m going and looking for my brother. I need to remind him not to tell Mother and Father about Lydia.” Lydia was Harper’s girlfriend. She was a Hufflepuff, which was why Harper didn’t want his family to know about her. He looked around. –Anyone want to join me?”

–Yes,” said Notter. –I’d love to walk around a bit.”

–Me too,” Nott agreed. –And I’ll just say a quick hello to Tamara. I just remembered; she’s two compartments away.” Tamara was a fifth year who Nott had been trying to woo for at least three months now, to no effect.

Nottie wagged her eyebrows at him. –Go get her, Elliot!”

He gave her an uncharacteristically shy smile before leaving the compartment. A few moments later, Nottie and Linda took off to the bathroom and finally, it was just me and Ayesha in the compartment. I snatched one of the leftover Cauldron Cakes and offered it to her. –Want some?”

She smiled. –No, thanks.”

There was silence as I devoured the cake and licked my fingers afterwards. Mum hates this habit of mine, and I could see Ayesha cringe at it. –Yuck, Malfoy.”

I winked at her. –Remind you of something?”

She chuckled. –How could I ever forget that? It was the best…” she said, –… and the worst,” she added in a low voice.

It was almost a whisper. I bit my lip. It was months since our break-up, and… why did she still feel this way? Couldn’t she just get over it? Why did she have to take me on guilt trips like this? It wasn’t fair. When I looked back at her, her eyes were tearing up. Oh Merlin.

She took a deep breath and looked away, blinking a lot. –You’re an arse.”

–We’ve had this talk many times,” I told her patiently. –Ayesha, you know there’s no point…”

–No, there isn’t,” she said, –Because you won’t let me make a point!”

–Ayesha…”

She shushed me. –Will you let me do the… talking for once?”

I shut my eyes for a second, opened them and nodded. –But we’re so much better off as friends!”

–Shhh…” she said, getting up from her seat and coming to me. She came close enough and just when I thought she was going to sit beside me, she got down to her knees.

–Ayesha…” I said, as her fingers unbuttoned my jeans. I could already feel the arousal and I wanted to push her away.

She opened the zipper. –Let me explain this to you,” she whispered, a mischievous expression on her face. Her fingers were on the elastic of my boxers, and one finger peeked inside, tracing the raw, red impression from the elastic smoothly. –You don’t have to do anything, but stand up now. And you will get my point in a minute,” she murmured.

I quickly looked at the door. It was ajar. The others could come in at any time. Was Ayesha crazy? Why was she doing this?

And then I felt a caress from a soft finger. Oh, fuck, fuck… Oh, Merlin…

–You want more?” she muttered, taking out the finger and looking up at me, her eyes alight with excitement. How could I say no? How? And yet…

–No, Ayesha, we can’t…” I managed, my breath heavy. She was about to say something, when we heard a voice.

–Oh, Merlin, Malfoy, you get an effing room!"

I turned my neck so fast, with so much force that I cricked it. Agony ripped up me and I grit my teeth against the pain before pushing Ayesha away. She fell on her bum and I was doing everything possible as to not look at her face.

–Let’s get out of here,” Defrost spat, looking as though he might vomit. Well, he was a good actor. I couldn’t imagine him not having fantasied getting a blow job at least a million times in his life -- if Weasley hadn’t given them to him already, which didn’t look probable, with the way they were reacting to us.

–I want to wash this out of from my memory right now,” Defrost said, before taking Weasley’s hand and scarpering with her.

The silence in the compartment was palpable. We suddenly heard Nottie talking loudly to Linda, and Ayesha got back into her seat as I pulled up my zipper. In a moment, the two girls were inside and Nottie looked very amused for some reason. –I just saw Defrost and Weasley running as though their life depended on it.” She looked closely at me. –You look like a tomato! Why is your face so red?”

–N-Nothing,” I replied… –I just…” I stood up. –I think I’m going to be sick.”

I rushed out of the compartment with Nottie and Linda staring at me with bewildered expressions on their faces. Ayesha and I were going to be all over Hogwarts gossip once we got back from Christmas. Great. I was so looking forward to that!


End Notes:
Reviews are love! Thank you!~ Pooja and Nadia. :)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92105