Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Night Changed Everything by You Know Who

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Now that Hermione was having second thoughts about the R.R.'s plan, it was too late. There was no way she could take back what she had said to Ron.

For the rest of the day, Ron seemed happier than he had ever been. He stayed very close to Hermione all the time, as if afraid she would suddenly take back her words.

In Potions class, last thing on Monday, she found the corner of a piece of paper on her desk that had been folded so many times it looked like someone had just dropped it there by accident. She knew that she kept her desk very clean, so there was no way that it had been left there by chance. She pulled it towards her carefully, glancing around to be sure that no one was watching. When she opened it, she found that it was written on in tiny writing.

H-
Get rid of P and
W and meet me in
the hall as soon
as class ends.
-D


Well, that's easier said than done, Hermione thought. I can get rid of Harry, but there's no way that Ron's just going to leave me alone now.

The bell suddenly interrupted Hermione’s thoughts.

"A foot and a half on unicorn blood, due the next time we have class," Snape announced as the class packed up their belongings. "Be sure to include the difference it makes in potions if the unicorn gives it willingly versus unwillingly."

Thinking quickly, Hermione intentionally left her quill sitting on her desk. She took her time gathering her belongings, so by the time she was done Harry, along with everyone else except Ron and Draco, had already left. As soon as she was out the door, she turned around. "I left my quill in there, Ron," she told him. "I'd better go back and get it."

"I'll go with you," Ron volunteered.

"No! No, that's OK, I don't want to hold you up," Hermione insisted.

"It won't take very long anyway, though," Ron pointed out.

"Well...no...but-" Hermione started, but was cut off.

"But if she doesn't want you around, you should take the hint and get out of here, Weasel King," boomed Draco from behind Hermione.

In a sudden, terrifying moment, Hermione realized that Draco had not been informed of the R.R.'s plans.

"I don't think this is any of your business, you twitchy little ferret," Ron shot back.

"I think Hermione's business is my business," Draco said with an air of superiority.

"My girlfriend's business has nothing to do with you, Malfoy," Ron snapped.

There was a sharp intake of breath from Draco, who immediately looked to Hermione. "He's lying. Tell me he's lying."

"Ron, drop it," Hermione pleaded.

"You're not going back to him, are you Hermione?" Ron asked, suddenly afraid.

"I just need to set him straight, Ron, and I can't do that with you here." Hermione told herself that this wasn't really a lie.

Ron looked at her one last time, as if making sure that she wasn't about to kiss Draco again, and then he left.

"Draco-" Hermione began, but she was cut off.

"Don't start. I know what this is about. You can't deal with the fact that I'm, well, a you-know-what. And I understand that," said Draco, avoiding her eyes.

"But, Draco, it's not like that-" Hermione started, but was cut off again.

"Let's just make this easy for both of us," Draco said emotionlessly, "and forget this ever happened."

"I told you, Draco, I can't forget! I don't even want to forget, if you'd just let me explain!" Hermione pleaded.

"I hope you and the Weasel are happy together, Granger," Draco continued, ignoring her comment.

Then he turned away coldly, ignoring all of Hermione’s pleas as he left.




Draco Malfoy was not the sort of person that cried.

Unfortunately, in this incident, he could think of no other option.




When Hermione got back to the common room, she was not smiling, but it seemed to Ginny that Ron didn’t notice.

“Did you set him straight, Hermione?” Ron asked eagerly.

“Set who straight?” Ginny asked sharply.

“Well, Draco, of course!” Ron answered impatiently.

“Yeah,” said Hermione, avoiding Ron’s eyes.

It suddenly occurred to Ginny that Draco did not know their plan.

“I think I’m going to take a nap, Ron,” Hermione said suddenly.

“OK…do you want to walk with me to dinner?” Ron asked.

“That’s fine, I just need to sleep right now, all right?” Hermione told Ron, obviously trying to keep her tone in check.

Apparently Ron didn’t catch this. “See you later, then, ‘Mione.”

“I…uh…left my Potions notebook upstairs, Ron, I’m going to go get it. See you later, OK?” Ginny said.

“OK, bye Gin,” said Ron, turning to talk to Harry.

Ginny Weasley had never before been grateful that her brother was so thick, but there was a first time for everything.




Hermione lay on her bed with her head in the crook of her elbow, sobbing uncontrollably.

“Hermione?” came a gentle voice. “Are you all right?”

“We didn’t tell him, Ginny,” Hermione sobbed.

“I know,” Ginny said soothingly. “If you’ll just explain to him…”

“I tried. He wouldn’t let me talk long enough to tell him. He thinks it’s because he…because he…” Hermione choked out.

“He what?” Ginny asked curiously.

“Ginny, he’s a Death Eater.”

The two girls sat in silence a while.

Ginny took in a long breath, then said, "And you're...OK with that?"

"Of course not!" said Hermione indignantly.

"But you aren't about to leave him because of it?" Ginny inquired.

"I can't, Ginny! It's not his fault! He doesn't want to be one, but they'd kill him if he quit. Can you leave someone for something they have no control over?"

"I don't know about you, Hermione, but I was raised in a world that said even You-Know-Who's name should frighten you. That meant that joining him was the worst thing a person could do. Ever."

"Ginny, I know that. I just...just...I just can't forget that this whole...relationship thing...ever happened!" Hermione cried.

"Do you actually...love him, Hermione?" Ginny asked suddenly.

"I...well, I..." Hermione stumbled. She knew she felt something, that was for sure. But when she had kissed him so passionately, when she had told him she loved him, it had been as a show in front of Harry and Ron.

When she thought back to that day now, it all seemed so silly. She had been so frustrated, so caught up in the moment, so badly wanting to shove this entire situation in Ron's face that she had ended up saying words she was unsure of. She now understood how unfair she had been to Draco.

Wait, she thought. Unfair to Draco? But he doesn't...he can't...

But when she remembered the blaze that had been in his eyes that afternoon, before Ron had so carelessly extinguished it, she knew he did.

Draco Malfoy was really in love with Hermione Granger.

The problem was, she didn't know whether the extent of her emotions was a crush, or something more.




Ginny watched as Hermione, who had been sitting up, fell down backwards onto her bed with a groan. "Why is life so complicated?" she asked.

"I have no idea," Ginny replied with a sigh.

Ginny decided to take Hermione’s lack of response to her question as a reluctant and almost unwilling yes.




When Hermione finally came back down to the common room, Ron was waiting for her.

“My lady,” he said with an exaggerated bow, “would you allow me the pleasure of escorting you to the Great Hall for your supper?”

Hermione couldn’t help smiling in spite of herself. “Of course, fine sir,” she responded lightly, allowing Ron to take her arm and lead her out of the portrait hole.

When they were partway down the hall, Ron abruptly stopped and turned to Hermione.

“’Mione, well…I…” he started, and then suddenly his lips were touching hers.

The kiss didn’t last very long, to Hermione’s relief. It had been so totally emotionless, at least on her part, that it caused her to have a sudden realization.

Either Ron was a bad kisser, or Hermione really did love Draco.