Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Night Changed Everything by You Know Who

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"I've been expecting you, Hermione," Ron said, sitting in the Room of Requirement motioning for her to enter.

"You were here before me?" Hermione said, surprised. "Never mind, stupid question. Well, what do you have to say?"

"Well...um...Hermione, I've been thinking about that time we kissed," Ron said as he had been rehearsing it for the past hour.

Hermione nodded.

"I don't know, there wasn't...weren't quite...well, you see, it...er...," Ron stuttered, trying to force words out of his mouth that would not come. He was turning bright red and praying to any gods that were out there she wouldn't hit him. Or cry. Oh, Merlin, if she cried he'd die. "It'snotworking," he forced out quickly. That certainly wasn't quite the way he'd planned it...

"Excuse me?" Hermione asked in confusion.

"Not working. I mean, we're not working. Us. You know. Whatever you want to call it. Please don't be mad, Hermione," he added quickly. "I really do like you as a friend and all, but it's just like there's nothing between us. Not like Harry and Ginny. I mean, did you see those two at lunch? They're crazy about each other. But - " he was cut off by Hermione's slight smile. "Why...what...are you OK?" Ron asked cautiously.

"You don't need to go on about it. Really. It's all right," Hermione assured him.

"You...you mean you're not...mad?" Ron asked in astonishment.

"No, I'm not," Hermione said with a smile.

"You mean...all of this...I had a crush on you for three years and it's all...gone without anything?" Ron said, still trying to clear his head.

"If you really want me to scream, or cry, or hex you, I can," Hermione suggested.

"No thanks," Ron said quickly.

Hermione chuckled.

"So...friends?" Ron asked, sticking out his right hand.

"Friends," Hermione said, shaking his hand and smiling. "So, what are you going to do now? Stay single?"

"Me? Nah. Word from Harry and Ginny is that Lavender Brown likes me," Ron commented.

"Oh really?" Hermione said as if she had not noticed. "That's great for you."

"What about you, 'Mione?" Ron asked.

"Oh, I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place," Hermione said. "Kiss and make up. With Draco."

"You're going back to Malfoy?" Ron asked in alarm. "Maybe we should give this thing another go..."

"No, Ron. We're both happier this way, and you know it," Hermione said. "I really did see another side to him that night at the ball. When he wants to, he can be really...well, sweet might be an overstatement...but he's polite! He's not so...Malfoyish!"

"I don't know, Hermione..."

"I understand that you can't trust him. But can you trust me?" Hermione asked.

"Well...yes," Ron admitted.

"Then believe me. This is for the best for everyone," Hermione assured him.

Ron sat silently for a moment, then stood up, determination in his eyes. "Well, then what are you waiting for?"

Hermione hugged him and ran out of the room. As the door closed, she heard him yell after her. "Don't expect me to like him!"




Draco waited in the library as Hermione had asked him. He wondered with annoyance how long Weasley was going to take to break up with her, or if he was going to at all. Maybe he planned to turn the night into a snog session.

Draco sizzled with anger at the thought of the Weasel even being close enough to Hermione to kiss her. He didn't deserve Hermione in any sense of the word.

No, Draco thought. I will not think of them snogging. I will not think of them snogging. I will not think of them...damn it.

He tried to busy himself with Quidditch Through The Ages, but he had read it so many times it was no longer enough to hold his attention. His mind had only one track that evening, and it was not Quidditch.

With annoyance, he slammed the book shut, meriting annoyed glances from many nearby students and a glare from Madame Pince.

He lay his head down on his arms. It was going to be a long night...

Only moments later, Hermione rushed into the library happily with a loud squeal.

Madame Pince reacted before Draco had a chance to. "Miss Granger, you have shown exceptional behavior previously, now please - " she began but never finished. Draco had leaped from the table and ran to Hermione, and, momentarily losing all of his Malfoy beliefs and even most of his common sense, picked her up and twirled her around in glee.

Madame Pince, apparently, did not suffer the same form of shock that the students did, leaving them open-mouthed and speechless, for an instant later they were being bombarded with their own books as they were chased out of the library, laughing like they hadn't laughed in a long time.




Rumors circulated the school quickly, and by morning every person at Hogwarts, student and faculty member alike, had at least heard a whispered version of the tale. Hermione heard a group of second year girls in the Gryffindor common room whispering about how she and Draco had a snog session behind a bookshelf but were caught by Madame Pince who threatened to expel them. She threatened the girls as a Prefect, telling them that spreading rumors was wrong. It seemed that they whispered more than ever as she walked away.

Truthfully, Hermione was slightly horrified at her behavior and Draco’s. They had both been so caught up in the moment that she had broken rules and he had shown real emotion.

Hermione supposed that was how they had ended up as they were. They had each seen a side of the other that no one else could see, that no one else expected. She had shown him that she was more than a brainy Muggle-born, and he had shown her that he was more than a hateful Slytherin.

They had decided not to comment on any rumors. They would either die down or escalate from this, but it really didn't matter which. This was because that on Saturday, Draco and Hermione were going to Hogsmeade together, and nothing anyone said would make a difference.

After all, they had gotten this far because they didn't listen to stupid opinions.

Draco's father, it seemed, would never know about them. He had finally been scheduled for the Kiss, in spite of Fudge's interference. His time was a mere month away.

Draco took this news badly, but Hermione, being herself, was able to distract him with exam studies. After all, end of the year exams were beginning a week from Monday. Shortly after, they would set off on the Hogwarts Express to once more return to their homes for the summer holiday.

Neither was sure how they were going to face the people waiting for them at home, but they knew it had to be done.

Hermione told herself that she had little to worry about compared to Draco. Even with what she had told them of Draco and the Pureblood/Mudblood system, they would understand. Right?

In any case, they both hoped that Saturday would come quickly.




The sun shined down upon Hogsmeade that May afternoon. Hogwarts students milled around, talking and laughing. Couples held hands and gazed at each other in Madame Puddifoots, while pranksters dashed in and out of Zonko's.

Two people seemed to stand out from the crowd. At first glance, you would think they were like anyone else in the village, but if you paid attention you would notice how other students stopped to glare, laugh, or merely watch and whisper to a friend.

Draco and Hermione had decided not to do anything really romantic at Hogsmeade. Who liked Madame Puddifoot's anyway?

It seemed, however, that they didn't have to. People just knew why they were there.

Ron made an effort to behave himself that day, under threats from Hermione. He could not help casting a warning glare at him when he was sure she was not looking, but he knew how happy she was. He would not interfere with that. No, not anymore. He had Lavender now, he was happy.

Harry felt no impulsion to join Ron's glaring. In fact, he didn't even notice it. Some internal instinct told him that Draco would not try to hurt Hermione. Besides, who had time to worry about those two when you had a girl of your own?

Draco and Hermione were in blissful ignorance of everyone else until Crabbe and Goyle warily approached. "Malfoy...why..." asked Goyle.

"You haven't heard?" Draco asked. "Latest trend. Date a Muggle born."

The two raced off to fight over who would go out with a Muggle born fourth year Hufflepuff, to her very obvious disgust.

Hermione and Draco just laughed. Pansy Parkinson, it seemed, had finally taken the hint that Draco had been trying to give her for years and was flirting openly with Blaise Zabini. Either she really had gotten over Draco or she was trying to make him jealous. Truly, Draco didn't care.

"Well," Draco said with a smile, "it seems that we've made it."

"Through wind, through rain, through snow, through sleet," Hermione quipped.

"No matter what we have to go through now, it won't be a problem."

"Exactly."

"We'll still argue."

"Obviously. But we'll get through that, too."

"Together?"

"Forever."




A/N: Well, that's all, folks! Yes, it's officially over. I know it took a long time for the last chapter to get out, but I have this unfortunate problem called school. If anyone has the cure, feel free to write a few books. You'll probably get the Nobel Prize.

ADDED NOTE: Well, school started it the lateness. Then I submitted it...and waited two weeks...for nothing. Not even a rejection letter. I'm resubmitting and hoping!

I am, however, writing a sequel. It seems that now that they've gotten past their peers objections, some people of greater importance have objections, too. Look for 'One Letter Changed Everything', AKA 'One Night Changed Everything 2', coming to a fanfiction site near you!

One final thanks to all my reviewers: I LOVE YOU GUYS! Hope to see you again with the sequel.