Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Night Changed Everything by You Know Who

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco could not believe the thoughts he was having about this girl. He knew what the other Slytherins would do to him if he was seen with a mudblood. It was not a pretty thought. He knew without a doubt that this girl could not be used to make Pansy jealous, for the simple reason that she could not be seen with him in public.

But he was still dancing with her, and he wasn’t about to stop.




Hermione let him continue to twirl her gracefully across the floor. “We’re all each other hates,” she mused thoughtfully. “Yet…we’re dancing here together. I don’t know about you, but I’m enjoying myself.”

He laughed. “Of course I’m enjoying myself!” he exclaimed, then added, “Yes, it is strange how these things happen, isn’t it?”

Hermione nodded. “Very strange, if you ask me.” Then, on a whim, she asked, “You’re a pureblood, and even though you never told me directly I’m almost positive you’re a Slytherin. So…would you happen to know…Draco Malfoy?”




Draco was more than a bit shocked. In fact, he was surprised that he didn’t fall over. He covered it quickly, though. “I, uh, know who he is, yes. I guess you could call him an acquaintance.”

“Oh,” she said. He tried to find some sort of giveaway on her as to why she had asked, but he found nothing there.

“Any reason why? You’re not his girlfriend or anything, are you?” Draco asked, knowing full well she was not, but wanting to keep his mysterious disguise.




Hermione was internally beating herself up. Stupid! She thought. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why did I ask that? Why? Why am I even thinking about Malfoy in the first place?

Hermione realized with horror that she had paused before answering. “No! No, I don’t have a boyfriend,” she said, suddenly realizing how that sounded. “I mean, not yet.” Merlin, he’s going to think I’m desperate, she thought. “I mean, uh…no reason for asking. I just wondered.”

“Oh. How do you know him?” he asked. “If it’s not too personal of a question…”

“Merlin, no!” she answered quickly, “Oh, I’m making a total fool of myself, aren’t I?”

He smiled. “You look beautiful when you’re flustered.”

Hermione’s heart made performed a tiny flip in her chest, and they continued to glide across the dance floor.




You look beautiful when you’re flustered? Draco thought with disgust. What kind of romantic line is that? What was I thinking? That’s not something a Malfoy would say!

Still, it was the truth and he knew it. It wasn't that he'd been acting very much like a Malfoy lately, anyway...

“You never told me what House you’re in,” he commented, trying to make her forget that he had ever said such a disgustingly stupid thing.

“Oh,” she said, looking like she didn’t want the subject to be changed. “Well, I’m a Gryffindor.”

Draco was almost expecting her to say Ravenclaw. She certainly seemed like a Ravenclaw. Well, she definitely wasn’t a Slytherin, and she was too smart to be a Hufflepuff. He had never considered the fourth possibility.

Draco Malfoy did not like Gryffindors. This boy dancing with the mudblood Gryffindor, however, could not be Draco Malfoy. At least, not the side people saw of him. This was some inner form of Draco that he himself did not know.

He thought he just might begin to like this new Draco…




Hermione began to worry after he had paused for a while. “You don’t care that I’m a Gryffindor, do you?” she asked nervously.

“I didn’t care that you were a mudblood, did I?” he asked, with a tiny smirk.

Hermione began to laugh, then paused, searching his face, looking rather enthralled. For an instant, just an instant, Hermione was absolutely positive of who he was. Then the realization flew away as quickly as it came, leaving no trace. It was like one of those times when you’re about to say something and you know it’s important, but then it’s gone. I know that smirk…she thought, searching her brain anxiously, trying to find a face attached to the smirk. I’m sure I know it.

The boy looked rather nervous. “Did I say something wrong? It doesn’t bother you that I said mudblood, does it? I’ll try to remember to say Muggle-born…”

“No, no,” Hermione answered quickly. “Though it would be nice if you refrained from calling me that. But…that’s not why I stopped. I almost recognized you. In fact, for a second I think I did.”




Draco was inwardly swearing. He did not intend to let her know who he was until he knew her feelings about him. Since it was obvious that she knew him somehow, that would not be impossible to do.

Yet outwardly, he was just confused. “How in Merlin’s name did you know?” he asked, trying to look more puzzled than angry at himself for doing whatever it was he had done to give himself away.

“Your smirk. I swear I’ve seen it before,” she said, “but I have no idea where. Not now, anyway. I knew, I think, for a second.”

Draco continued to be angry with himself. How could he be stupid enough to smirk? That smirk was practically patented by the Malfoy family! That and the blonde hair, but thank Merlin he had turned it black. “Well, I’ve smirked at a lot of people,” he said with a small smile.

“Oh? Does a lot of people include girls?” she asked, rather playfully.

He smirked yet again. He couldn’t help it this time. Draco only hoped that she wouldn’t remember the Malfoy smirk. “If you’re asking if I have a girlfriend, I don’t.” he said, hoping to lead her to believe that it was very possible things didn’t have to end tonight. He knew he didn’t want them to.




Hermione’s heart gave a little leap. She really hoped this…well, whatever it was that she shared with this boy, could continue beyond the ball.

Suddenly, for some strange reason, she realized why she didn’t know who he was.

“The hair,” she said simply but decisively.

“The…hair?” he asked. Was that nervousness in his eyes?

“Yes, your hair. It’s why I don’t recognize you. I’m positive I’ve seen you before, but your hair…” she shrugged. “It’s throwing me off.”

“Well…” he said, looking as if he was debating telling her the truth. “You see, it’s usually rather…opposite. In color, I mean.”

Hermione tried to picture the boy with blond hair. Surprisingly, she came up with a very clear picture. Also surprisingly, that picture included a face twisted by hatred, a face with lips that screamed “Mudblood!” every chance they had. The face of one of her worst enemies.

It was the face of Draco Malfoy.




A/N: I'd like to apologize for both how long it took to get up and how short it is. The next chapter will be up sooner and will be longer. Please review!