Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legacy of the Founders by VoldemortsPatronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Wow. If you ever want a challenge, try writing a chapter about a wizard war. There are a lot of bases to cover.

So I actually had to cut the last fourth of this chapter out and put it in the next because there is a word limit for submissions. The good news is the story is all but finished. I'll get it up as soon as the moderators clear it. My goal is to have it completely up by the time Book 7 comes out.

Cheers!


Chapter 47
The Wizard Battle


The words hung in the air like a death knell. They looked at one another in pure astonishment.

“No!” said Lupin incredulously.

“But, our source…we had a couple of months at least…” stammered Kingsley.

Dumbledore turned to look at them, his eyes narrowed dangerously.

“It appears,” he said in a chilling, steely tone, “that our source has misinformed us.”

This was horrible news. Dumbledore and the rest of the Order (and through them, most likely the entire Ministry) had been operating under the assumption that Voldemort’s attack wouldn’t come until the summer, after he had taken the final steps to strengthening his army. None of them had been prepared for the attack to come this soon. Harry’s first reaction was to marvel at the timing, but then he realized that Voldemort was much too cunning for this to be a mere coincidence. Perhaps instead of tracking Harry and Dumbledore and attempting to foil their discovery of the Half Blood Prince, Voldemort had devoted all his effort to stepping up his attack instead.

Dumbledore was thinking furiously. When he appeared to be done he took a long, wistful look at the altar and the figure of Wulfric Gryffindor just over Harry’s shoulder, then turned back to face them.

“We haven’t a moment to spare. Kingsley, go alert the rest of the Order. Have Alastor initiate the emergency plan and meet me at the Ministry. I will go there now to sound the alarm and help Fledgeby muster the Aurors. Remus, Harry, stay here with Wulfric and help him complete the ritual. I fear it is too late for the centaurs and goblins to be of any help to us, but we will try anyway. Meet me at Hogwarts when you are finished.”

“Yes sir.”

“Now let us be off. I shall inform Wulfric.”

The headmaster gave a quick flick of his wand and set the final stone in place, then quickly strode over to where Wulfric Gryffindor was standing. Kingsley took his leave, hurrying back through the plaza and down the trail towards the apparation clearing. Harry and Lupin followed the headmaster.

“Something startling has occurred,” said the Half-Blood Prince casually as they approached, not looking up. He was in the process of loosening the top of his robe, exposing the two strange marks on his chest underneath.

“Yes, Wulfric. The Dark Wizard I mentioned to you earlier has begun his assault on our central government. This has happened a good deal earlier than we anticipated. I must take my leave in order to assist in organizing our defenses. There is going to be a battle…”

“Ah, splendid!” the Half-Blood Prince said cheerfully. “I was hoping I wouldn’t have to wait long.”

Dumbledore paused, slightly taken aback, then continued.

“I shall leave you in the care of Remus and Harry “ both accomplished wizards “ and meet you at Hogwarts when you are finished. Alas, I fear the aid you can provide us will come too late…”

“That’s possible, but we had damn well better try, hadn’t we? I didn’t spend eight centuries as a bloody bird for nothing, you know,” Wulfric replied lightly, rolling up his sleeves and not seeming in the least bit concerned about the urgency of the situation.

“Of course not,” replied Dumbledore. Harry was sure he saw a flicker of a smile beneath his beard. “I hope to see you soon, son of Godric Gryffindor.”

“You shall, steward. You shall. And we will talk over our exploits over a mug of ale when we have won. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some old friends I should like to call on,” he said, as though what he were about to do was no more serious than inviting a few acquaintances over for dinner. Somehow Harry found this confidence heartening.

Apparently the headmaster did too, as he gave a slight bow and chuckled, then turned to walk away. He stopped when he passed Lupin and Harry and leaned in to whisper.

“I’m going to want to see your memories in my pensieve when this is all through, so make sure you pay attention,” he said.

“Of course, Albus.”

“Yes sir,” said Harry, smiling slightly despite himself.

With that the headmaster rushed back into the plaza and down the slope, leaving Harry and Lupin with the nearly thousand year-old son of Godric Gryffindor.

“Now, if you good sirs will oblige me by standing on the outside of the circle, I can begin the ritual,” said Wulfric pleasantly. “And I must warn you “ no matter what you see happen, you must not interfere. The covenant of Fidelius Paciscorium is not something to be taken lightly. It is fused into the very blood of the participants and passed on through their progeny. Any attempt to interfere “ whether by outside source or inside “ will meet with tragic consequences. Understood?”

“Yes sir,” replied Harry.

“Yes,” replied Lupin, then looked at him quizzically.

“But Wulfric, do you not need a wand?” he asked. Gryffindor simply smiled.

“I am the wand, my friend. Now peace, don’t interrupt.”

With that the Half-Blood Prince took his place at the center of the circle. Harry and Lupin took quickly stepped out of it, slightly behind and to the left of Wulfric, who pulled the top portion of his robes down in order to expose his breast. He took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes, as though meditating, then suddenly raised his hands to the sky. Despite the urgency of Voldemort’s impending assault, Harry felt an indescribable awe creep over him. They were about to witness the fulfillment of a thousand year-old legend.

Fidellius Paciscorium Exsequiorus.”

A blue light surrounded the Half-Blood Prince, the same blue light Harry had seen encircle him in the fourth dairy. It focused in his hands, which he slowly lowered to the altar and held just above its surface. The ancient stone seemed to hum in response to the blue energy, a reaction that soon spread to each of the stones in the circle until the entire ring was resonating with a deep, humming sound. Wulfric held his hands in place for a moment longer, letting the hum rumble deeper and deeper. Then, just as it grew so loud it seemed the earth itself was about to tear apart, he dropped them onto the altar.

There was a deafening clap like thunder. A deep rumble, as though the bones of the earth itself were quaking. Then silence. The birds, the trees, the wind, the air itself seemed to stop, as though it were waiting for something.

Suddenly the indentation of the human hand on Wulfric’s side of the altar began to glow with the vibrant blue light. A smile of anticipation crept onto his ancient face. He placed his hand into the indentation. As soon as he did so his body convulsed and arched backwards, as though in agony. There was a great whooshing sound like a mighty wind and the two markings on his breast began to glow. Harry impulsively took a step forward, wanting to help him, but Lupin stopped him. He shook his head. Remembering the warning Wulfric had given them, Harry had no choice but to stand and watch.

The two markings on his chest grew brighter until the one of the goblin’s hand flashed a blinding, pure white light. The light coursed through the extended arm of the Half-Blood Prince, into the altar, and then streaked outwards and hit two of the standing stones on the far side of the circle as though it were lightning. There was another deafening clap. In between the two stones that had been hit a shimmering curtain of light began to appear, almost like a doorway. Then the other marking on Wulfric’s chest, the centaur’s fist, flashed similarly and a second streak of lightning coursed through his arm, into the altar, and out into two stones on the other side of the circle, creating another shimmering portal of light. There was a final, deafening clap. Wulfric’s posture returned to normal and the three of them were left to watch the strange, pulsating curtains of light.

The light began to fade slightly, leaving strange patches of color in its place. The color seemed to solidify, forming what looked like odd, oval shaped pictures between the pillars of stone. It was almost as though they were looking through a window into a distant place “ through the opening on the left Harry could see a number of tree trunks and the dark, leaf-covered ground of a forest. Through the one on the right he saw what appeared to be the stone wall of a cave illuminated by a faint, golden light. With a start he realized they were looking into another place, or places, to be exact.

“Telepormorphic Portals,” whispered Lupin in awe, answering Harry’s unasked question.

“What?”

“These doorways. They’re called Telepormorphic Portals,” Lupin whispered. “Walking through one is like traveling over thousands of miles instantly. Even faster than apparating. The method of conjuring them was lost long ago. This is very advanced magic…”

“The leaders have been summoned. Now there is naught to do but wait,” announced Wulfric from in front of them. Harry noticed that he kept his hand securely in its indentation.

They didn’t have to wait long. Soon the small, wrinkly figure of a goblin appeared in the portal to the right. He was a short, stout fellow “ a little large for a goblin but still no taller than Harry’s waist. He was dressed in expensive, official looking clothing and had a monocle that stretched to the base of his long, crooked nose attached to a gold chain. On his face was a supremely startled, unpleasant look “ one that would have even put Snape to shame “ and it didn’t take long to realize why. A strange, invisible force seemed to be drawing him towards the altar and he was powerless to stop it. He tried turning around and digging his feet into the ground, but it was no use. It was as though a giant rope were pulling him forward.

As he was drawn closer Harry recognized him as Dronok Kerhatchet, the leader of the goblins who had ordered the closing of Gringott’s just before school had started and who had been mentioned in the Prophet repeatedly for all the trouble he had caused wizard society. As his eyes met those of Wulfric Gryffindor’s he blanched visibly and his expression turned to one of terrified awe, as though he somehow recognized him.

“What is the meaning of this?” the goblin snarled viciously as he reached the altar. Wulfric smiled patiently and held up his hand.

“Patience, my crafty friend. We have another guest joining us and I do not wish to repeat myself.”

That other guest, or guests, as it turned out, appeared soon enough, in the form of two large centaurs. They had the same expression of fear and utter shock on their faces as the goblin had, and were drawn toward the altar with the same, irresistible power. Harry recognized them almost immediately. The first was the medium sized, stately Magorian, the leader of the centaurs. The second was none other than Bane, a large centaur with coal-black hair who kicked and fought furiously against the unseen power. He wasn’t ever likely to forget Bane, as he had personally recommended that Harry be put to death just the year before.

“Ah, welcome my friends. It is heartening to once again behold your shining, affable countenances,” said Wulfric with a wry smile, as the countenances of the friends in question was anything but affable. “I appreciate you answering the summons in such a prompt manner.”

“How dare you use your sorcery on us, human!” spit Bane viciously. “What is the meaning of this?”

Harry couldn’t remember ever seeing someone so mad.

“You’d do best to calm down, friend. No sorcery has been used on you but that which your ancestors once willingly brought upon themselves,” Wulfric replied calmly. “Now, do you know me?”

Kerhatchet, who had watched the arrival of the centaurs with equal parts surprise and amusement, continued to regard Wulfric with that curious look of terrified recognition, as though a voice from ages past were calling from the deepest chambers of his memory. Harry was surprised to see the same strange look on Magorian’s face.

“I do, yet I do not,” the goblin replied in a voice like the sound of split rock, puzzlement on his face.

“And you?” Wulfric asked, turning to Magorian. The centaur had the faraway look in his eyes that seemed customary to a centaur whenever they were pondering something. He was silent at first, then spoke.

“You were known by my ancestors. That much I can sense. But how, I do not know.”

Wulfric nodded, as though this were just what he had expected.

“I am Wulfric Gryffindor, son of Godric Gryffindor. You have been summoned here as leaders to fulfill a pledge your ancestors made my father long ago. In return for the generosity and mercy he showed your people during his life, your forebears vowed to provide his progeny with their aid if it ever was required. I am here to redeem that vow. Fidellius Paciscorium.”

These words were met with a thoughtful, albeit skeptical silence from Magorian and a closed, calculating look from Kerhatchet. Bane, however, worked himself up into an even fiercer rage, kicking his hind legs out in anger.

“This is utter foolishness! The son of Godric Gryffindor? Such a thing is impossible! This is more wizard trickery””

“I have been informed that the wizarding world of today is in deep peril,” Wulfric resumed calmly, cutting Bane off. “The source of this peril you already understand, and in some cases,” here he looked at Kerhatchet, “have even contributed to. I do not need to describe it here. Even as we speak, the Dark forces of have begun their assault on the seekers of peace. I am asking you to help us defend against it.”

Help you, human?” Bane said in anger. “Help the puffed up, untrustworthy vermin who trespass in our forest and presume to take advantage of our gifts””

“You reside in that forest because my father granted it to you, centaur,” Wulfric cut across him sharply, the first signs of aggravation appearing in his face. “And he did so at a time when your people were busy slaughtering one another in a pointless war. Had it not been for his intercession your tribe would have perished long ago.”

Bane looked infuriated to be talked to in such a way, though he said nothing more for the moment. Wulfric continued, turning to Kerhatchet.

“Goblin”you will call off your seizure of human resources and permit the wizard economy to resume unimpeded. We shall also require any assistance you are able to give in the upcoming battle. This must be done immediately.”

Kerhatchet scowled slightly at these orders and looked about to protest when Wulfric turned to Magorian and Bane.

“Centaurs”you will assist us with your powers of Farsight. We shall also require the services of as many of your warriors as you are able to muster to assist us in the upcoming battle. This must also be done immediately.”

This last bit seemed to finally push Bane over the edge. Enraged, he reared up on his hind legs and bellowed, “WE DO NOT TAKE ORDERS...FROM…HUMANS!” Harry realized he meant to kill Wulfric Gryffindor, but was powerless to stop it. Just as the enormous centaur brought his heavy hooves down, meaning to crush Wulfric’s skull, a brilliant flash of blue light emitted from the altar, followed by a deafening crack of thunder.

Bane’s limp, lifeless figure lay crumpled on the ground as though it had been struck by an invisible bolt of lightning. The once fearful eyes were now empty, forever staring into unseen realms.

He was dead.

Both Magorian and Kerhatchet looked at the crumpled figure of Bane in utter astonishment. It was clear that Wulfric had their attention now.

“You see, the covenant is true and binding,” said Wulfric softly, though his words had all the force of the booming thunder behind them. “It will be fulfilled.”

A breeze rustled through the nearby trees. Wulfric continued.

“Whatever opinions of wizardkind you now hold, I would that you remember that there was once a time when our people were allies “ friends even. In this very place. It is in memory of that friendship that I beseech you for aid. Will you answer the call?”

A long, heavy silence. Magorian had that mysterious, faraway look in his eyes of the centaurs in his eyes. Kerhatchet had his brow furrowed and eyes narrowed, as though he were performing a hundred different calculations in his mind. His eyes flitted nervously to the dead figure of Bane and back. Then finally he spoke, breaking the silence.

“We shall honor the debt.”

He placed his hand into the three fingered indentation in the altar. There was a flash, followed by a deep rumbled. Wulfric Gryffindor nodded approvingly. All eyes then turned to Magorian, who nodded in assent.

“We can ignore what is written in the stars no longer. You shall have our aid.”

The centaur made a fist with his hand and slowly lowered it into the indentation on the altar as well. There was a second flash, followed by another rumble, then all at once the entire altar began to glow with the pale blue light.

“Thank you, my friends. I know not what has caused the rift that appears to have formed between our races since my day, but I pledge myself to healing it once the battle is won. Now come “ our time is short.”

With that the Half-Blood Prince pulled his hand out of the altar, as did Magorian and Kerhatchet. It continued to glow with the blue light and hum in harmony with the stones as they walked away, towards the open portals on the other end of the circle. Wulfric walked towards Lupin and Harry, who were waiting with bated breath.

“There is something I must ask of you both. I recall seeing a large congregation of elves at the school, somewhere under the Great Hall. They seemed to be employed as servants. Is this so?”

“Yes, Wulfric,” answered Lupin.

“Then we must gain their assistance as well. Elves have considerable power, but they are unable to use it when under bondage. Tell the steward we must release and enlist them in our cause if we are to have a hope of winning this battle. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” Lupin and Harry both nodded.

“Excellent. Than I shall meet you at the field of battle. Fare thee well.”

With that Wulfric Gryffindor turned around and joined the goblin and centaur, making his way towards the open portals. Apparently he was planning to go with them.

“Wulfric, wait!” Lupin called out. Wulfric looked over his shoulder at him.

“Time is short.”

“Er…but how will you know where to meet us?” Lupin asked, obviously feeling reluctant about letting the centuries-old son of Godric Gryffindor go off without them.

“The centaurs will know,” he replied as though it were perfectly obvious. “I shall see you soon.”

With that the Half-Blood Prince walked away, accompanied by the goblin and the centaur. He stopped before reaching the portals and had a brief conversation with Kerhatchet, who did a good deal of nodding before turning and walking back through his portal to the caves, then walked through the portal to the forbidden forest with Magorian. The portals then closed behind them and the clearing returned to normal, as though the entire thing had been a dream.

Harry and Lupin waited a moment, soaking in everything that had happened. Then Lupin turned to Harry, a grave smile on his face.

“Come, Harry. I feel we have a most eventful day ahead of us.”

With that they left the Place of Covenant and hurried back through the plaza and down the hill, just as Dumbledore and Kingsley had done before them. They ran hard, knowing they hadn’t a moment to spare if they were to help stop Voldemort. Harry ruminated over everything that had happened as they went. Though they had found the Half-Blood Prince and activated the ancient covenant, Harry couldn’t help but feel the entire thing might have been in vain. If Voldemort truly had begun his assault on the Ministry’s forces, it didn’t seem likely that they would be able to muster the goblins and centaurs in time. And even if they were able to, just how much help would they be? What good would a troop of goblins be against dementors and rampaging giants? These questions and more swirled through Harry’s mind as they ran.

They soon arrived at the clearing, both of them panting heavily. Lupin removed his wand.

“Are you ready?” he asked, holding out his arms so Harry could latch on.

“Yes,” Harry replied, bracing himself for the strange, immensely uncomfortable feeling of pair-apparating.

“Here we go then. One, two, three…”

There was the feeling like he was being folded in half, followed by the explosion and the out of body sensation. It wasn’t as bad this time, now that he knew what to expect. Soon he found himself forming whole again, just outside the gates of Hogwarts. Lupin paused for a moment to make sure he was ok, then took off towards the castle. Harry followed close behind.

They arrived to find the school in chaos. It looked like a school assembly had just concluded, though Harry couldn’t remember an assembly ever having such a devastating impact on the students. They were walking hurriedly through the corridors in barely-organized groups “ anxious, worried looks on their faces. Many of the younger students were even crying. The prefects ran here and there along the lines like frantic sheepdogs trying to keep their flocks together.

“I’m guessing the headmaster will still be in the Great Hall,” said Lupin gravely as he motioned his head in that direction. “From the looks of things I’d say he’s announced the attack to the entire school.”

They wound their way through the students and continued through the corridor to the Great Hall. They arrived to find the doors closed and another group of students waiting. This group, however, seemed to be waiting for something. Harry and Lupin passed by them and were just about to the door when Harry heard his name called out.

“Harry? HARRY!”

Ron and Hermione came running towards them, tense, worried looks on their faces.

“You’re ok! Where’ve you been?” asked Hermione concernedly, throwing her arms around him.

“I’m fine. We just had some…business to take care of. We’re on our way to meet with Dumbledore right now.,” Harry replied, not knowing how much he should say about the Half-Blood Prince. “What is this? What happened?” he asked, motioning towards a passing group of weeping second years.

“Dumbledore called the whole school together and told us Voldemort’s begun his attack. He said that most of the staff is going to go help defend the Ministry,” Hermione explained, still looking shaken. Ron picked up where she left off.

“But we’re going to help. We’re going to fight with them,” he said with a worried yet resolved look on his freckled face. He motioned towards the group of students they had just come from. Harry studied them closer and realized they were all older students “ sixth and seventh years “ many of whom had been regulars in the D.A. meetings.

“Dumbledore’s going to let students fight?” he asked incredulously.

“He didn’t want to, that was obvious,” said Hermione with a slight frown. “But after he asked us all to return to our common rooms, Nott stood up and demanded to be allowed to fight…”

“Then we stood up and supported him, then a few Ravenclaws stood up and supported us, and the next thing we knew nearly a third of the school was standing up and demanding the opportunity to fight,” said Ron in awe.

“I don’t think they’d have the same attitude if they saw what we’re up against,” said Lupin gravely, though there was an unmistakable look of pride in his eyes.

“Well, Dumbledore thought for a bit, then he asked everyone who wasn’t of age to leave. That took a little while, because many of the younger students wanted to stay””

“Ginny was furious,” said Ron in a different sort of awe.

“”but once they had gone Dumbledore basically told us we were of age and he couldn’t stop us if we wanted to fight. He explained how serious the situation was and that people would die “ I think he was trying to dissuade us “ but not one person backed down. He told us to wait here until Professor Grendelhall own decisions. He said any student who wanted to fight would be kept as support, as it was his duty as headmaster to ensure our safety. Then he told anyone who wanted to fight to wait out here and Professor Grendelhall would come meet us.”

“You two are fighting, then?” Harry asked. His two best friends nodded their heads determinedly. While he was impressed with their courage and loyalty, a small part of Harry’s heart broke. What if something happened to them

Lupin shook his head. “This is dangerous business. I hope you know what you’re getting into,” he said sadly.

“Well what’re we supposed to do? Wait here and do nothing?” Ron retorted. Lupin didn’t answer, but heaved a heavy sigh. “Come, Harry. We must be going.”

Lupin gave a slight tug on Harry’s arm towards the door. Seeing they were about to leave, Hermione quickly stepped forward.

“Wait! So, did you find the Half-Blood Prince?” she whispered. Apparently they had guessed what ‘business’ Harry had been on.

Not wanting to get their hopes up (there was no telling if Wulfric Gryffindor would be able to gather support in time), Harry nodded and gave what he hoped was an encouraging smile. He then pushed through the door with Lupin and entered the Great Hall.

He walked with his head down, trying to gather himself. It was all too surreal. His best friends were getting ready to go to battle. What had happened to their childhood, to their innocence?

Voldemort. That’s what happened, he thought darkly. And there was something else.

Ginny.

Harry felt a deep pang in his heart. Somehow he got the strange feeling he may not ever see her again.

Just then a most peculiar thing happened, something that completely snapped Harry from his grim reverie. He felt a sudden, inexplicable feeling of…happiness. At first he though he had gone crazy, then he realized he had experienced this strange phenomenon before.

It wasn’t his feeling, but Voldemort’s. Something had happened to make him very happy.

Quickly using his Occlumency training, Harry expelled all emotion from his mind (not an easy task considering the current situation) and focused on putting up the barrier over his mind. It had been some time since he had last felt an intrusion. Apparently Voldemort had briefly opened a channel “ whether intentionally or unintentionally Harry couldn’t tell.

Doing his best to cast it from his mind, Harry looked up to see a large group of adults gathered at the far end of the Hall next to the staff table. As they approached Harry recognized many of them as either members of the Order of the Phoenix or staff of Hogwarts. Mundungus Fletcher, Hagrid, Charlie, Bill, and Mr. Weasley, Mad-Eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, and Dedalus Diggle, were all there, along with Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, Grendelhall, and Madame Pomphrey (Snape, Harry noticed, was nowhere to be seen). There were also many others Harry had never seen before. Dumbledore was in the middle of saying something, but looked up when he and Lupin approached.

“Where is Wulfric?” he asked.

“He went with the centaurs, Albus. He said they would know where to go,” explained Lupin. Dumbledore looked confused for a moment, then shook his head and continued to address the group. The Weasleys sought Harry out through the crowd and nodded grimly when they made eye contact. Harry nodded back in recognition, wondering briefly how Mrs. Weasley was coping with all this.

“As I was saying, last night Azkaban was raided and the remaining Death Eaters were freed. Voldemort now has nearly all his servants together. Even so, he is taking a great risk with this attack “ if he wins and defeats the defense of the Ministry, he will have effectively removed the head of government, thus crushing the will and confidence of the public. From there it would be a simple matter of quelling the few pockets of unorganized resistance before claiming total power. I do not wish to speculate on what will happen next if this happens.

A collective chill ran through each individual in the room following this last remark. Dumbledore continued.

“If he loses, however, he will forfeit much of his gathered strength and will be forced to enter back into his usual campaign of subterfuge and trickery. He will be forced to slowly, carefully rebuild his support, thus providing more time for us more to strengthen our defenses and better learn how we may hope to destroy him.”

The headmaster’s eyes wandered unconsciously to Harry at this point, naturally drawing the rest of the room with it.

“So, as you can see, he is taking a great gamble with this rashness. We have word that he has begun his assault in London, not far from Regent’s Park. The Aurors and the members of the Ministry who are able to fight are on their way as we speak…”

London?” someone interrupted in disbelief. “In front of the Muggles?”

“Yes.”

“Albus, do we have any idea how large V…Voldemort’s forces are?” asked someone else. “I mean, the Ministry can’t have more than a hundred Aurors…”

An anxious murmur rippled through the cloud at this last comment. Dumbledore shook his head.

“I will not delude you, Quinton. We are greatly outnumbered. We will need reinforcements from the wizarding public. Minerva, the Daily Prophet has been notified?”

“Yes, headmaster,” replied Professor McGonagall.

“Excellent. Then we shall just have to go into battle and hope enough people have the courage to answer the call. But whether they do or they don’t, we shall fight. And we shall win. Now for instructions…”

“He didn’t mention Wulfric,” Lupin leaned over and whispered to Harry. “I think he doesn’t want to get our hopes up.”

“…Kingsley, Alastor, and Quinton shall each head up a division. If any of you need instruction and I am not available, see them. Dervins, you’ll find the equipment packed against the wall, just to the side of that window over there. Hagrid, Filius has devised a means of transporting your friend. Meet up with him to discuss the particulars. Grishelda, see to the transportation of the students waiting outside. Make sure they are placed in the least dangerous location, but somewhere they can still contribute. Handel, I want you to…”

The headmaster continued to give out orders. Harry looked up at Lupin. The thing Dumbledore had said about being outnumbered was troubling him.

“Do you think Wulfric will be able to get help in time, Remus?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied. “But like Dumbledore said “ whether we’re outnumbered or not we will fight. And win.”

He said it in an encouraging tone, though Harry could tell he was trying to convince himself too.

Once Dumbledore’s orders were given out, the members of the group dispersed to perform their various duties. Harry didn’t have to be a Legilimens to know they were each as nervous as he was “ the looks of trepidation on each face made that clear enough.

“The house-elves Harry,” Lupin said suddenly. “We need to tell Albus what Wulfric said about the house-elves.”

Amidst all the excitement, Harry had forgotten about this. He quickly scanned the crowd to find where the headmaster had gone. Finding him conferring with Kingsley and a tall, brawny wizard Harry hadn’t seen before in the corner of the room, Harry and Lupin hurried over to him.

“Albus “ forgive us, but this is urgent,” said Lupin.

“The house-elves, sir. Wulfric Gryffindor said we should free the house-elves,” Harry explained. “He said they hold a powerful magic, but they can’t use it if they are slaves. He said we need to release them so they can help us in the battle.”

Harry realized how ridiculous it sounded as it was coming out of his mouth, but said it just the same. If Wulfric Gryffindor thought a troop of house-elves would be an asset in battle, then it must have been true.

Dumbledore regarded them thoughtfully for a moment, apparently thinking the same thing. He then nodded to himself, as though having come to a decision, and turned to Kingsley and the other wizard.

“Go on without me. Kingsley, provide support for Alastor. Quinton, provide a distraction if necessary. We must get that barrier up. I shall see you shortly.”

“Yes, Albus.”

“Understood, sir.”

The two men rushed off.

“Let’s go,” said the headmaster to Lupin and Harry, and the three of them made hurried down to the kitchens.

Upon arriving there it quickly became apparent that news of the impending battle had already made its way to the kitchens. The elves were hustling about here and there, still preparing the next meal, though with a good deal of anxious squeaking and wringing of hands. Once they had gathered them all together, Dumbledore’s words were quick and to the point.

“My friends, as you have heard, the Dark Wizard Voldemort has set him army against us. He means to attack and overcome the Ministry of Magic as the first step in consolidating power. If he is able to achieve this, I do not need to tell you what it will mean to your people.”

There was a general squeak of horror at the remark. Dumbledore continued.

“What I am about to say will come as a great shock. Know that what I am about to do is not done with the intent to disgrace you, but to empower you. Wizardkind has exploited your good nature for far too long. It is time you rose to your former stature, as equals.”

The gathered group of more than a hundred house-elves waited with bated breath, hanging on Dumbledore’s every word.

“You are all getting clothes.”

To say there was a wail of despair would have been a gross understatement. The room positively shook with a collected cry of lamentation. Almost immediately, however, Dumbledore’s voice came booming over the din, somehow magnified to several times its usual volume.

“SILENCE!”

The miserable little creatures flinched at the force of the voice. Having gotten their attention, Dumbledore continued.

“Now, you are each in a position to offer assistance that will be of infinite more worth than merely changing our bed sheets or cooking our meals. We need you to assist us in this battle. And this is not something you can do as slaves. Therefore, I release each of you from the terms of your enslavement.”

With a wave of his wand more than a hundred neat little elf tunics appeared in the air next to each elf.

“Take them,” Dumbledore ordered.

There was another wail of despair, but the house-elves were forced to obey. With more than one trembling arm, the group reached out and took their clothes. Just like that, over a hundred elves gained freedom. They were anything but happy about it.

“Time is short, so I will be brief,” the headmaster resumed before the wailing got out of hand. “Those of you who do not wish to fight will not be forced to. It is a decision you will each have to make. Either way you will be welcomed here at Hogwarts, only I will no longer have slaves placed within these halls. However, you must think of this “ if this battle is not won, there will be no Hogwarts to return to. The choice is yours.”

More consternation, though Dumbledore didn’t seem in the least bit concerned. Rather, he scanned the crowd as though looking for someone in particular.

“Dobby? Where is Dobby?”

“He is here, sir!” came a small, excited voice from near the front of the room.

“Dobby, organize those of your people who have the courage to fight and then meet with Professor McGonagall. You have been a leader to them in many ways before now. I feel it is time you took the title formally. I shall see you on the field of battle.”

“Yes, Albus Dumbledore, sir,” Dobby replied, taking a deep bow. When he rose back up Harry could see tears of joy in his giant, bulbous eyes.

Despite the crying of the newly-clothed elves, Harry couldn’t help but notice that they looked like a neat little troop of soldiers, each standing in a row. It was going to be very interesting to see what they contributed.

Obviously rushed for a hundred other crucial matters appointments, Dumbledore turned to Lupin and Harry to take his leave.

“Meet up with Kingsley and give him whatever help he needs. Harry, you know how important you are to our cause. Promise me you will do what you can to stay out of serious danger as much as possible. Remus, I am trusting his care to you. Protect him with your life.”

Lupin and Harry both nodded in assent, though Harry felt a deep chill of foreboding at Dumbledore’s charge to Lupin to ‘protect him with your life.’ He had already lost one surrogate uncle trying to protect him. He wasn’t about to lose another by doing something stupid.

Dumbledore nodded in approval.

“Farewell then. And be careful.”

With that the headmaster did a quick turn on his heel and disappeared in a swirl of robes, leaving Harry and Lupin alone with over a hundred moaning house-elves.

“I thought you couldn’t apparate inside Hogwarts…” said Harry.

“That wasn’t apparation,” replied Lupin distractedly. “Come on, we have a battle to get to.”

The two of them rushed out of the kitchens and back up the stairs. There was an immense group of people gathered out on the grounds by the Quidditch Pitch, apparently getting ready to depart, but Lupin lead him the other way, towards the main gate.

“I think apparation will suit our purposes better than a Portkey,” he said in explanation. They hurried down to the place just outside of the grounds where they had apparated previously. Just as they were about to link arms and join whatever dark fray awaited them, Lupin paused. Confused, Harry studied his face. A curious, calm smile had formed on his weary face.

“Harry, what are you fighting for?” he asked.

Harry understood what he was referring to immediately. The conversation they had had at Potter’s Cove during the Christmas Holidays, where Remus had helped him see that revenge was a poor reason to fight. What was he fighting for? A myriad of images swept through his mind. Hogwarts. Potter’s Cove. The Weasleys. Ron and Hermione. Ginny. The life that they could all have once Voldemort was destroyed.

“The future,” he replied truthfully.

Lupin smiled approvingly.

“Good. You are ready then.”

With that he held his arms out. Harry interlocked them in his own, and with a final nod, Lupin performed the apparation. Once again Harry felt the folding sensation, followed by the feeling of bursting into a million little pieces and being outside his body. Then, all at once, they reappeared somewhere far away.

Nothing could have prepared him for the scene he saw before him. They were standing on a busy London street with tall buildings rising up along both sides. Muggles were running up and down the street in absolute terror, screaming and running into one another. There, just a ways up the street, surrounded by overturned cars and crumbled buildings, were two enormous giants. They were swinging their fists like enormous wrecking balls, sending them crashing into nearby buildings and scattering stone and debris. The first was an abnormally brawny giant with a head as big as a large bolder and arms like huge stone pillars. The second was an even larger one with red hair who was brandishing a street lamp about like a club.

Harry gathered himself just soon enough to throw himself behind a nearby car as a hunk of building at least as big as Hagrid came smashing into the building right next to them, exploding into a hundred dangerous shards of rock.

He appeared to be ok, so he looked around for Lupin who had dove to the other side. He appeared to be all right as well.

Without even thinking Harry whipped out his wand and jumped out from behind the car. He aimed his wand straight at the large, bulbous head of the first giant.

Stupefy!

A streak of red shot out from his wand and struck the giant directly in the face, though it glanced off harmlessly. This got the giant’s attention and he turned to find the source of the blast. Harry quickly hid behind another car. Most of the Muggles were now running the other way down the street, away from the giants and away from danger, though Harry noticed quite a few were gazing down at the scene from the upper stories of nearby buildings, their mouths hanging wide open in astonishment.

Harry also realized he and Lupin weren’t alone; there were at least four or five others fighting along with them “ three wizards and a witch in Ministry Auror robes and one other, older man who was dressed like a normal wizard. There were also curious, pale red flashes coming from behind the giants and to the sides of the street where the Muggles were running. Harry didn’t even have time to guess what they were all about.

A nearby wizard waved his wand and caused a nearby empty car to hover several feet off the ground. Then, with a look of intense concentration on his face, sent it hurtling through the air at the nearest giant. It smashed into his chest with an enormous crash and caused him to stagger backwards slightly, but other than that seemed to accomplish nothing more than making him a great deal madder than he had been before. He responded by angrily seizing the car, holding it with both arms above his head, then throwing it back at the wizard, who apparated away just in time to escape being flattened.

“Well, so much for the Statute of Secrecy,” Harry said to himself, then leaped out from behind the car once and shot another spell at the closest giant. It too glanced harmlessly off his chest. Harry quickly dove into a nearby building before he could be spotted.

“Harry, don’t try to hit them directly with your spells!” he heard Lupin shout from his cover behind a nearby heap of rubble. “Their resistance is too strong. We have to manipulate the environment around them!”

Harry nodded to show that he understood, though it seemed easier said than done. What was more, he saw pillars of smoke and heard similar signs of battle coming from the streets on either side of them. Apparently the same battle they were waging here was being fought on many other streets as well.

Forcing himself to focus on the task at hand (the thought of more giants to worry about was too much), Harry racked his brain trying to figure out how they were going to stop these rampaging juggernauts. But nothing was coming to mind…

Fortunately Lupin seemed to have an idea of what to do, as he ran over to where three of the Aurors had been taking cover behind an overturned taxi and was conversing quickly with them. Two were nodding their heads and the other was motioning up the street and towards the other side questioningly. They had to duck when a red, heavy metal Royal Post bin came flying through the air towards them, completely taking out a street-level book store nearby.

“Harry! We’re going after the first one! Take out any projectiles he throws to give us cover. Do you understand?” Lupin yelled at him. Harry nodded. Immediately the first wizard jumped out from behind the taxi and sprinted to the other side of the street, concealing himself in the open doorway of a Muggle bakery. Lupin then did the same, running to the opposite side and hiding in a narrow alleyway, just out of sight of the giants. Harry grasped his wand tightly and jumped up, aiming another Stunner at the face of the first giant to distract him. It worked, and the giant responded by grasping a large chunk of cement that had once been part of a Muggle bank and hurtling it at him. Fighting the urge to run for his life, Harry focused instead on the approaching missile and cast his spell.

Reducto!” he yelled.

The boulder-sized block smashed into a hundred smaller pieces that pelted Harry (one half of a brick caught him sharply in the shoulder), but otherwise left him uninjured.

Meanwhile, the other two wizards had also moved out from their hiding places and were now shooting large streams of sparks at the two giants in an effort to distract them. The giants shielded their eyes and let out enormous roars of anger, then started lobbing whatever was around. Harry focused on bringing the various missiles down, finding Impedimentia to work just as effectively as Reducto but without the harmful shrapnel, and was able to protect the Aurors while Lupin and the other wizard crept closer and closer to the first giant. At one point it hit Harry that if he slipped up even once, someone would die. He quickly cast doubt from his mind, however, and redoubled his focus.

Lupin was just about there. The giant couldn’t have been twenty feet away. He had removed his wand and was waving it back and forth with a look of supreme concentration, all the while a small, murky white sphere of light began to form in the air in front of him. The wizard on the other side of the street gripped his wand and eyed him closely, waiting for the signal.

Just as Harry realized he couldn’t keep bringing the projectiles down for much longer, Lupin leaped out from the alleyway and cast the shimmering ball of light (now as big as a football) right at the feet of the first giant. Expecting an explosion of some sort, Harry was surprised when the sphere instead sunk into the ground and disappeared. Lupin sprinted back towards the others and Harry changed position so he would be able to cover him. Suddenly there was a great slurping sound and all at once the ground around the first giant, starting at the point Lupin had cast the sphere and extending to about a fifteen feet radius around it, turned to mush. With a startled roar the giant fell into the sinkhole and sank up to his armpits, as though it were a giant basin of mud.

On cue the second wizard leaped out from his hiding place and directed a blast of frigid, steely-blue gas from out of his wand (not unlike a Muggle fire-extinguisher) at the area just around the fallen giant. As the gas contacted the now molten street it seemed to solidify, trapping the giant in its solid embrace.

While he was doing this the red-haired giant in the back seemed to realize what was going on and slammed his fist into a car in front of him, sending it skimming along the asphalt towards the wizard as though it were no more than a skipping stone on a lake. Having only a split second to react Harry whipped his wand at the car and, without uttering a word, somehow sent it careening off course and into a nearby churchyard instead, completely missing the wizard. Harry didn’t have a chance to ponder over just how he had accomplished this feat, however, as Lupin called for them to pull back.

“Good shot, Harry!” he yelled. “Dervins, that’s enough. Get out of there!”

The wizard cut the stream of gas from his wand and rushed back to join them. They let out a cheer of triumph as the giant struggled in vain against the reformed road, until another roar announced the arrival of not one, but two new giants making their way down the street towards them.

Fortunately they were receiving their own reinforcements as well, as newly arrived witches and wizards slowly swelled their ranks until there were at least twenty of them. Among these were occasional Ministry wizards in strange brown robes who would apparate suddenly, then disappear just as quickly, heading for the spots in the distance where the strange red flashes were coming from.

“The fools,” Lupin muttered as one of them passed, completely ignoring the giants. “We need their help fighting these monsters, not keeping the sight of them from the Muggles!” From this Harry gathered that they were busy trying to hide the whole thing from the Muggles, a hopeless task from what he could tell.

By this time Lupin had completely taken charge, issuing orders to the various combatants, trying to devise a way to bring the other three giants down. It was a most challenging task. They tried conjuring an immense mass of ropes using Incarcerous to bind the red-haired giant, but he was much too strong and snapped them as though they were shoelaces. They tried trip lines, transfiguration, and relaxation charms, but nothing came of those either. They even tried the same trick that had worked the first time, but the other giants had caught on and they ended up losing an Auror in the attempt.

A sudden, enormous crash followed by a chorus of cheers from the street next to them signaled that their comrades had succeeded in taking a giant down, but the victory was short lived. Despite the new reinforcements they were still overpowered and had to pull back further and further down the street. The giants never made a mad dash at them, but seemed content hurling random pieces of London, driving them continually backwards. Harry soon found out why.

A good portion of their group had taken cover behind an abandoned double-decker bus. Lupin had just turned to give directions to an older wizard standing next to him when they heard a voice shout from an open window behind them.

Avada Kadavra!”

A green streak of light rocketed into the group. The older wizard fell to the ground, dead.

“Get to cover!” Lupin yelled and immediately four of five more curses came streaking in from different directions. The group scattered, narrowly avoiding getting hit by the spells which left charred, black holes in the side of the bus. Harry hid in a small cranny in the façade of a nearby building and immediately turned to face their new attackers, but found there was no one behind them. The spells had come from above.

They had walked straight into an ambush.

Figures in black robes and white masks had appeared at random places in the windows above, raining a continual stream of curses and hexes down on those below. Death Eaters. Now they were not only being assaulted by the giants from the front, but on every side and from above by the Death Eaters. Shouts of dismay erupted on the streets next to them, signaling that the same thing was happening over there. Harry saw three more Aurors go down from inside his hiding place. Enraged, he shattered the glass of the window in front of him, took aim at a Death Eater leaning out of a second story window across the street from him, and cast a stunning spell.

Stupefy!”

The red beam of light caught the man in the face. He fell out of the window and crashed into the ground, stunned.

Harry darted out of the building and into a side alley before the Death Eaters sent more hexes his way, and from a nicely hidden grotto was able to catch his breath. Hearing footsteps ringing on hollow metal above him, he looked up to see a Death Eater clanging across an old fire escape in an effort to reposition himself. Ducking around the corner and taking aim at the area just in front of the Death Eater, Harry yelled out, “Dissipio!”

The white smoke shot out of his wand and spread across the walkway. Caught completely unaware the Death Eater stepped on the now-permeable surface and dropped three stories, crashing into a wooden trellis. Running to the spot Harry saw that he was groaning and rolling on the ground.

Incarcerous,” he muttered, binding the Death Eater with ropes. On closer inspection Harry realized that the person wasn’t a typical Death Eater. His mask was plain and much less ornamental than those he had seen before, and he didn’t recognize the man when he removed his mask. In addition to these two things, he also didn’t have the Dark Mark tattooed on his forearm like the other Death Eaters had. Perhaps these were some new recruits, lower level soldiers that hadn’t reached Death Eater status yet. If so, where were the real Death Eaters?

Just then, from out of nowhere, Harry felt another surge of happiness quite unrelated to his own situation. Somewhere Voldemort was pleased. That wasn’t all though. Strangely enough, this time the feeling was accompanied with a voice that he felt more than heard.

How is everything, Harry? Enjoying yourself? it said in a gleeful, mocking manner.

Harry put up the barriers in his mind and did his best to forget about it.

Making sure the man was secured tightly, Harry rushed back to the main street to assist the others. Upon arriving he was heartened greatly to see that they had received new reinforcements in the short period of time he was gone. Only, the reinforcements weren’t wizards…

They were house-elves.

Harry watched, openmouthed, as the elves set about their work. Like blinding little blurs they appeared here and there, distracting the giants, restoring those who had been hit by non-fatal curses, blocking spells sent down by the Dark Recruits. While wizards were able to apparate as well, none of them could do it with the speed and proficiency of the elves, most of whom had spent their entire lives disappearing and reappearing all over Hogwarts. While many of them did take heavy hits and dropped to the ground, for the most part they appeared and reappeared so fast that the giants and Dark Recruits weren’t able to target them in time, sending their spells or fists flying harmlessly into walls and open air. Harry used this opportunity to help Lupin and the others get out of the line of fire. Soon their side was gathered together in one strong force.

The introduction of the elves completely changed the dynamics of the battle in other ways as well. They were able to appear in the very rooms the Dark Recruits were shooting spells from, blasting them out of the windows and sending them plummeting to the ground where the Ministry wizards were able to stun them or bind them with ropes. At one point there were actually so many wizards in dark robes being hurled to the ground that Harry was reminded of a de-gnoming. The thought made him laugh.

Wulfric Gryffindor had been right. The elves did hold a powerful magic. They had just never been able to use it. Something told Harry they were capable of more than even this.

No longer able to employ their guerilla tactics, the Dark Recruits were forced to regroup behind the giants further up the street. The tide of the battle had shifted.

Just then Harry saw an old witch and two younger, male Aurors running towards them. It was Professor Grendelhall, though she moved much more nimbly than Harry had ever seen her move, leaping over fallen rubbish bins and running just as fast, if not faster, than Harry could.

“Remus! The park!” she yelled when they had arrived. “Dumbledore says to lead them out into the park where they won’t do as much damage. We’ve put a temporary security barrier up in the north-east side, catch up with us there!”

Lupin nodded and motioned for the other wizards in the vicinity to pass along the message. Grendelhall then turned to face him.

“Come on, Harry. We’ve got to get you out of here,” she said quickly, though there was something strange about her voice. It was much clearer and younger than normal. It also sounded vaguely familiar, like someone else Harry knew…

Not having time to think it over, Harry joined the three of them and they hurried down a side street towards a large, green opening just a block or two down the road.

“Harris, get down Baker Street and pass the message along to Doge. And be sharp about it!” Grendelhall ordered one of the wizards, who promptly nodded and took off.

That voice…Harry knew who that was…

Tonks?” he shouted in disbelief as they ran.

Despite the urgency of the situation, the old, worn face of his Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor turned towards him in an uncharacteristic grin. Then she winked.

“Wotcher, Harry.”

“What! You! What the hell””

“There’ll be time to explain later “ we’ve got to get out of here! Come on.”