Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When I See Only You by gossipweaver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry’s long time friend will do her part to ensure that his bond with Ginny will never be severed.
Chapter 25 Message In A Paper Plane (Conclusion)

Dumbledore abruptly returned to the castle after receiving an emergency owl from McGonagall informing him of the recent events. Thinking he was coming back to treat Ginny, he was surprised to learn that it was Harry who needed his help again. Harry had recovered from his coma to save Ginny while Dumbledore was away, only to have Aria hurt him in the process.

Dumbledore was currently busy tending to him in the hospital wing as Ginny, Ron, and Hermione were anxiously waiting outside, standing by the wall. It was dawn already. Aria did upheld her promise to Harry; Hermione was unhurt and Ginny did wake up by daybreak.

“I’m going to kill him for this!” Ron snapped.

“Ron, please. It’s not Harry’s fault,” Hermione whispered softly, eyeing Ginny nervously, aware that she had heard everything from last night.

“Harry could not have possibly done these things on his own. Hannibal must have manipulated him the entire time. I believe Harry. I saw him when we were in that wretched world. He loves Ginny.”

“He cheated on my sister! How can I let him get away with this?” Ron clenched his teeth and muttered in a very controlled tone, trying to keep his anger under control.

“Ron, you and I know what kind of person Harry is. He is not a cheat,” Hermione raised her voice assertively.

“Yeah, sure! You can say those things because Ginny’s not your sister!” Ron pointed at Ginny and barked loudly.

“RON, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? I WAS THERE! I SAW IN FRONT OF MY VERY EYES HOW MUCH HARRY LOVES GINNY__”

“SHUT UP! BOTH OF YOU!” Ginny shrieked.

It was an unfamiliar sight. She had never screamed at Ron and Hermione like that. But she was just not herself at the present moment; she was still in shock over what happened. Surprisingly for her, it wasn’t as painful as she had expected it to be. Perhaps the pain would kick in later or maybe she was just too numb to feel anything. She couldn’t cry anymore because her eyes ran out of tears. She couldn’t feel the pain in her heart because it didn’t feel like hers anymore. What happened last night just kept replaying itself constantly in her mind, the things that Harry said, the things that Aria said he did. In her heart, she had no doubt that Harry loved her, but how could she get past the fact that he had betrayed her, she thought to herself. She would be burdened with this for the rest of her life.

She didn’t know what to say of how to feel. She could feel her veins were ready to burst and she believed that it could be due to anger. She was angry at Harry understandably. But she knew she couldn’t vent her anger at him. After all, his memory of them as a couple may be lost. Everything they had accomplished together would now only be a part of her memory alone, residing in her wounded heart. She would go back to being his little sister again, and her having a crush on him, just like all those years prior to all this. However, this time was different, because they shared a past that only she could remember. That very boy she would have a crush on did returned her love at one point; that very boy had sacrificed his life for her, and they shared all those endearing and memorable moments together, as well as the near death experiences where they both were willing to die for each other. How could she go back to the time that was, she thought to herself.

She was angry at Aria because she trusted her and saw her as a friend. She confided in her. But ultimately, she was the one that turned out to be the other girl. However, at the end of all this, she was most angry at herself, for the fool that she was the entire time.

Dumbledore slowly came out wearily from the hospital wing. Ron and Hermione immediately dashed toward him but Ginny stood frozen by the wall.

“Professor,” Hermione muttered as she peered inside the hospital. She could see Harry was asleep. Seeing him like this, Hermione’s eyes began to tear up.

“Harry is asleep. Physically he’s fine.”

“What about his memory? What Hannibal did with the memory potion…” Hermione cried.

“Will he remember…” Ron interrupted and glanced at Ginny’s direction.

Dumbledore didn’t reply. He solemnly made his way to Ginny and gently embraced her. But Ginny remained motionless, unresponsive to his hug, her arms dangling by her side. She was too numb and heartbroken to feel anything.

“Ginny, based on what Hermione described as to what she saw, and based on what I felt when I cast my healing spells on Harry, I’m afraid…”Dumbledore gazed deeply into her brown eyes and clutched her shoulders firmly.

Ginny didn’t respond.

“I am not an expert on the topic of love. But I am an expert on the topic of Harry… Harry as a person, his character, his values… I know him better than he knows himself.

“I am not trying to defend him for what he did, and how much he hurt you… I just want you to understand.

“Telepaths like Aria Hannibal are misunderstood individuals. Everyone seems to think that they can read everybody’s minds if they just have to come close enough to them or something… like strangers in the streets... But that’s certainly not the case…” Dumbledore released Ginny’s shoulders and gestured Ron and Hermione to come closer.

“Imagine how a person would be if he or she can hear everyone’s thoughts all the time. I don’t know about you but I would certainly go crazy,” he chuckled.

“Telepaths can only hear the thoughts of those who are important in their lives… perhaps co-workers, friends, certainly family members, lovers…

“The more important the person is to the telepath, the deeper the mental link...”

“Professor, what are you saying?” Hermione widened her teary eyes and asked eagerly, with a triumphant look on her face.

“I can’t say for sure whether Aria was controlling Harry the entire time. But I understand why she was drawn to him, and chose him to fall in love with.

“Ginny, Harry may not be the best boyfriend but he is a young man of extraordinary character and honor. Aria was drawn to him because of these admirable qualities. He was the only one who possessed the genuine and unconditional kindness to win her trust, so she faithfully opened herself to him.

“Unfortunately, it is ironic that it would be his commendable qualities that have led to all these events.”

He placed his hands on Ginny’s shoulders again and gazed at her, “We all know Harry loves you very much. What you shared together was so pure and strong that even a powerful wizard like Voldemort was overcome by it.

“None of us could really quantify the strength of his love for you. But Aria can. She felt the full impact of it when she was in his mind, and she couldn’t pull herself away, because it was so pure and true…

“One never loses something that was never had. The more priceless is that was lost, the greater the pain as a result…

“What you shared with Harry was special. It may be no more, but at least… you are one of the lucky few chosen in this world to be blessed with having a beautiful, memorable, and true love to grace your life… even if it was for such a seemingly brief period of time…

“You experienced true love and everything that accompanied it, its sweetness, sourness, spiciness, and…

“Its bitterness…

“Ginny, please don’t hate Harry. Please don’t give up on him. Let the passage of time heal the pain, and give him a chance to__”

Ginny burst into tears. She abruptly broke out of Dumbledore’s grips and stormed away.

“Ginny!” Ron wanted to chase after her but Dumbledore held him back.

“Mr. Weasley. No. Give her time. Give her some time,” Dumbledore sighed tiredly. “No one will ever understand what or how she’s feeling right now. No one will ever know how to help her. It’s best she be left alone.”

“What’s going to happen with Harry?”

“I’ve cast a memory charm on Harry so he’ll forget about everything related to Aria Hannibal. He will remember her as a professor but not all the events that had happened between the two of them. It would be too painful for him if he were to know the truth.

“To protect him, only the four of us will be burdened with his secret relationship with Aria Hannibal. No one is to tell anyone else about this.

“Harry’s memories of everything else are intact. But his memories of Ginny, his love for her… I could no longer sense them inside him anymore…”

Dumbledore pulled out the pair of doves from his sleeve and gazed at them wearily, “Love can be truly magnificent, but it can also be so cruel… the deeper the love, the deeper the hurt and pain as a result…”

Harry was out of the hospital in a week and was physically good as new. Dumbledore had informed him about the attack at Hogsmeade, and that he was in the hospital because he was injured during the attack and he fell into a coma for an extended period of time. Harry truly believed he was at Hogsmeade with Ron and Hermione and he was now convinced that the Deatheaters were responsible for the attack. The events of the passageway and what happened in Aria’s world seemed to have been forgotten by him. Sometimes he would wonder why he couldn’t remember what caused his injuries, and how he could be in a coma for such a long time. But Dumbledore had explained to him that he suffered some brain trauma from his injuries. As a result, details of the attack were lost due to memory loss from the trauma. However, because of the surprise attack, Voldemort and the Deatheaters were the only things in his mind right now.

Dumbledore had announced to the school that Aria Hannibal resigned under the pressure of endless complaints from angry parents. Most students and some staff were thrilled by the news. For Harry, it was very clear that he had forgotten all that had happened between him and Aria, judging by his mild reaction to the news. His only comment about this was that he would have one less exam to worry about. He felt sorry for her but he was more worried about Hagrid, since he also received his share of complaints. Because his relationship with Aria this past semester was so secretive and was only known by Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Dumbledore, it was easy to shield the truth from him.

Harry soon resumed his regular routines, which consisted of his classes, detentions with a variety of teachers, and Quidditch practices. He wanted to give Ron and Hermione more time for themselves because he felt like the third-wheel when he was with them. In fact, he was practicing more than necessary because he was trying very hard to not barge in on them. Deep down, he felt very lonely, constantly wishing that he would have a normal life and live just like other teenagers around him.

“Hi guys,” Harry smiled faintly as he marched into the common room, holding his Firebolt. He had just come back from his lengthy and lonely Quidditch practices again. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were sitting by the fireplace.

“Hi Harry,” Ron and Hermione greeted him.

Ginny gathered up her belongings and got up, keeping her head down, “Listen, I have a lot of homework. I’m going to head up. Goodnight all.”

She quickly walked by Harry without acknowledging him and bolted towards the stairs as Hermione and Ron watched her attentively.

“Hermione. Ron,” Harry repeated.

“What?” Both were still occupied, gazing worriedly at Ginny, who had now disappeared.

“Why has Dumbledore still not lifted the curfews regarding Hogsmeade? I don’t think Voldemort__”

“Would you stop saying his name like it’s some kind of ice-cream flavor?” Ron barked as he grabbed Ginny’s wand from the empty chair that she had accidentally left there.

“Sis, you forgot your wand!” Ron got up angrily and marched up the stairs to chase after her.

Ron was still upset at Harry even though Hermione had tried endlessly to convince him that it wasn’t his fault. But having just seen his sister storming upstairs at the sight of him, his rage came rushing back.

“What’s wrong with him?” Harry sneered.

“Erm… Nothing. Forget about him. Harry, listen. I want to ask you something. Come sit down with me,” Hermione mumbled hesitantly.

“What’s up?” Harry set his broomstick on the table and sat down lazily across her.

“It’s about Ginny. Hmm… Tell me… tell me what you know about her!” Hermione widened her eyes and gazed deeply at Harry.

Harry looked puzzled and smirked sarcastically, thinking this was some kind of game, “What I know about Ginny… Hmm…Let’s see…”

“I know something!” Harry snapped his fingers smartly.

Hermione opened her mouth in awe and gazed at him hopefully.

“Ginny’s a girl!” he joked.

Disappointed, Hermione glared at him angrily. It was like someone had just let the air out of her face. Seeing this, Harry quickly cleared his throat and restarted again.

“She’s Ron’s sister… Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s daughter, Luna’s friend…” Harry recited tentatively, scratching his head. He was unsure whether this was what Hermione was looking for but he was running out of things to say about her.

“And… Anything else?” Hermione raised her voice and asked eagerly. “What about you saving her in the Chamber? What does it mean to you?”

“What about that? That was a long time ago. Why are you bringing this up?” he yawned and removed his glasses, rubbing his eyes.

“What did that event mean to you?” she pressed.

“Erm… I had to save her. Ron was trapped because of all those rocks, no thanks to Lockhart, your favorite teacher that you had a crush on if I remember correctly?”

His mentioning about her having a crush on a teacher made her squirm because his relationship with Aria was still fresh in her mind. Of all people, Harry was the last one to have the right to make fun of her about that, but Hermione decided to let it pass.

“What about the dream curse? Do you remember?” she became agitated; she raised her voice further and asked boldly.

“What’s that?” he snorted flatly.

“YOU DON’T REMEMBER THE DREAM CURSE THIS PAST NEW YEAR’S?” she jumped out of her chair wildly and yelled hysterically, accidentally knocking the broomstick to the ground.

Harry shook his head and stared up at her blankly, “Hermione, are you okay?”

The broomstick rolled underneath the coffee table. He slowly reached down to retrieve it.

“Erm… Yes… Yes, I’m fine… Harry, watch your head. Don’t bump your head against the table. It’s late. Go to bed,” Hermione stuttered and lowered her voice substantially. From the corner of her eye, she noticed Ginny standing by the staircase, watching them tearfully. She had heard everything that was said. She abruptly stormed out of the common room before Harry got up from underneath the table.

********

********

“Miss… you forgot something!” a little girl pointed at a portrait left on the sand and called out to a blond haired woman who was slowly wandering towards the waves, holding a bottle and two glasses with one hand, and her shoes with the other.

“Miss… MISS…” she continued to call out to her. But the woman suddenly disappeared.

The little girl’s eyes followed the footprints and wondered how the woman could have just disappeared without a trace. Afraid that the incoming waves would engulf the painting, she quickly picked it up from the sand. She carefully brushed the sand off the surface as she admired the portrait. It was of a man with jet-black hair, holding an umbrella and passionately kissing a beautiful blond haired woman against a background of butterflies.

“What a pretty picture,” the little girl said as she gently rubbed the forehead of the man curiously with her finger. “Oh no. I hope this isn’t a scratch.”

********

********

It was a beautiful day at the lakeside; the sunshine, the breeze, and the blue skies felt exactly like the last time they were here together, when he brought her here with his bicycle and surprised her with a picnic. The hammock was also untouched on the grass, resting messily in the exact spot where they had left it, when it tied them together stubbornly in a knot, refusing to let them part ways.

She had hoped to see snow. Seeing snow would at least give her the comfort that they were together for one full year. But it was not to be. They had parted ways before they even reached their first anniversary as lovers. There would be no celebrations.

As she was sitting alone writing her story, the tip of the quill suddenly snapped in two pieces. She must be pressing too hard because every letter was carved deeply in the parchment. Nevertheless, she could not finish her final sentence; it was too painful to continue. She could write no more. Gazing at her writing one final time, she carefully folded the parchment into a paper plane and tossed it towards the lake, just like the way she watched him do it the last time.

She watched the paper plane sail peacefully across the skies until it vanished into the horizons. Watching it disappear felt like watching her own elusive dreams and wishes.

“Harry…” she called out to the trail of the paper plane. There was no answer.

“Harry…” she screamed louder, her hands in balls of fists. But the only thing that came back to her were solemn echoes of her own voice.

“HHHAAARRRRRRYYY........................”

She lunged forward and shrieked as loud as she could. But it was no use. He couldn’t hear her. Her voice could no longer touch him. Her guardian angel was not going to come to her anymore.

Her knees buckled and she collapsed onto the grass, her shoulders heaved with sobs, because she found herself in the same spot where they shared their final heartfelt embrace together. Gripping the grass tightly with her hands, her face was drowning in tears. She realized she was right; the only thing that she was left with that was his after the picnic was his jacket.

“Harry…”

********

********

“Hedwig, what are you doing? It’s the middle of the night. What’s that you got there for me?” Harry whispered curiously as he got up from his bed, rubbing his heavy eyes. He couldn’t sleep after having been awakened by another nightmare. He noticed Hedwig was clutching what appeared to be a folded piece of parchment. It looked nothing like a letter envelope. The snowy owl dropped it eagerly on his bed and flew to his shoulder, frantically nipping at his ear.

“What is this, Hedwig? You got me a paper plane?”

He grabbed his glasses from the nightstand, unfolded the parchment, and noticed that some kind of story was written on it. There were patches of ink that appeared to have been smudged by droplets of water. Peering in the dark, he slowly read it.

“Again last night,
Alone without you.
To the moonlight,
I made a wish.
That one night,
I rewrite our story.

Turn back time,
To days we hold hands,
Journey side by side,
Under sparkling stars,
That took turns,
Shining on us.

Remember that night?
You and I,
It was paradise.

Please lead me the way.
Guide me with your hand.
So I can be by your side.

Please come back to me.
Please try. Come back.
So I…”


“What a weird poem. It doesn’t even rhyme. So sad though…” he mumbled to himself as he examined the parchment carefully, trying to figure out whose handwriting it belonged to.

“I wonder who wrote it?”

Hedwig immediately flew and landed on the shelf next to the pair of doves. Her wings gently brushed against the doves and made them wobble.

“Shhh… you don’t want to break that and wake up the others.” Harry flared his arms wildly at her.

He read the ending again, “I think it’s missing a sentence.”

He gazed at the parchment and reread the story, this time more attentively, without realizing Hedwig was now sitting on his shoulder and nuzzling to him. For some reason he could feel the words, and they were crying in his heart. He smiled and quietly reached for a quill from the nightstand; he had figured out what he had to do to make the story complete:

“I will always be by your side...”



The End.





A/N: Thank you so much for reading and giving me such wonderful reviews throughout. Everyone who reviewed wanted a happy ending, so I hope you’re not disappointed with the ending. Please be sure to let me know what you think.

Please check out the very emotional sequel, "The Boy Next Door," a story selected by readers as the favorite in the series. Understand what exactly is the human emotion of love, the ability to love someone and the feeling of being loved by someone. Is it really a blessing or just a punishment in disguise?

Explore love through the eyes of four people. They all come from different backgrounds, but they all have one thing in common. They are the lucky chosen few in the realm of love, and despite all the sacrifices and pain, they will never regret being selected…