Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When I See Only You by gossipweaver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sometimes the truth is in front of our eyes, but we choose to not see it.
Chapter 4 Pictures Speak a Thousand Words

The past few days Harry couldn’t help but be distracted by the mysterious stranger he met at the Leaky Cauldron. He didn’t want to tell the others, especially Ginny, because for some reason he believed she would be upset if she were to find out about his encounter. Occasionally he would examine the red handkerchief, wondering who Aria was, and whether he would see her again because he really enjoyed her company. It also didn’t hurt that she was complimenting him endlessly that night, like how sweet he was and that she wished she could find someone just like him.

“Harry, are you there?” Ginny knocked on his door. “Fred and George have got this cool camera. Wanna see?”

He quickly stuffed the handkerchief in his trunk, “Okay, coming.”

Holding each other’s hands, they slowly made their way downstairs, where Fred and George were busy taking pictures of Mrs. Weasley. They appeared very reluctant though.

“Come on, just one more!” Mrs. Weasley snapped.

Harry could see Fred and George rolling their eyes, with Hermione giggling in the background.

“Mum, half the film is already you,” Ron complained.

“Ah, here comes Harry and Ginny, the twin bird lovers. Let’s take a picture of them,” Hermione snickered.

“The what?” Harry asked.

“No, Hermione. They are the butterfly lovers," Mrs. Weasley corrected her.

Even Ginny was rolling her eyes when she heard that comment.

"Here, Ginny, this is a good spot. Plenty of sunshine! It will bring out your hair! Just stand here beside Harry! He will sit on the stool!” Mrs. Weasley hollered as she dragged them by the arms, with Harry almost tripping over the stool. Ginny maneuvered behind him, gently wrapped her arms across his shoulders and rested her head next to his.

“What a cute couple! Smile! I want to see a big smile! HARRY, A BIG ONE! NOW!”

FLASH…

FLASH…

Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione shared a cabin on their way to Hogwarts aboard the Hogwarts Express. It was going to be Harry’s fifth year at the school. As more days had gone by since that strange night at the Leaky Cauldron, Harry seemed to have forgotten all about Aria. All he remembered now was how he was telling himself that this year was going to be the best, because he had Ginny by her side.

“Ginny, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked as she was admiring the bizarre picture she took with Ron. Ron was making funny faces and pulling her hair in the dynamic image, while she was biting his hand, laughing hysterically.

“Nothing,” Ginny replied dully, staring at the photo she shared with Harry. In her photo, her eyes were sparkling at him as she hovered closely behind him. Her arms were embracing his shoulders and she was nuzzling happily against his head. However, Harry had a strained grin in the picture. He looked very indifferent and somber, and appeared to be pulling away.

“Gin, what is it?” Harry snuggled up to her with a look of concern.

“Is there something bothering you?” she asked softly. “The picture, you don’t look too happy.”

Harry instantly remembered why. That day his mind was wandering aimlessly because of his thoughts of Aria. He also recalled being dragged by Mrs. Weasley and almost tripped over the stool. But he didn’t want to tell her this.

“Uh? Oh…I…never liked taking pictures,” Harry lied, taking a quick peek at it. Then suddenly he had the urge to kick himself in the head. It was because he remembered seeing an otherwise perfect image of their reflections not too long ago, the image of which he was sitting cheerfully at Ginny’s dresser table and she was cutting his hair.

“Now why didn’t I have a camera then?” Harry mumbled to himself begrudgingly.

“Gin, it’s just a photo. You’ll take another one with Harry,” Ron said reassuringly as he reached for her picture and examined it. “Oh, but she’s right, mate. You look mournful…almost morbid…”

“AARGH…WHY DID YOU DO THAT FOR?” Ron shrieked.

Hermione had elbowed Ron very hard but he knew he deserved it, so he didn’t say anything. He slowly handed the picture back.

The rest of the train ride was uncomfortably quiet, with Hermione shooting fiery glares at Ron and Ron shrugging his shoulders continuously. Harry continued to hold Ginny’s hand during the ride but he could sense that she wasn’t as receiving as before. He knew he had to make it up to her because he could feel her disappointment. She had eagerly anticipated for this picture, but he screwed it up.

“Gin, meet me after the feast at the common room tonight,” Harry whispered.

“Why, for the goodnight kiss?” she replied in a somewhat flat tone.

“No, not just that. I…I…want to show you something. I can’t tell you now, because it’s a surprise… I…think you’ll like it,” Harry blurted out softly. But in his mind, he didn’t know what to show her yet. All he wanted to do was to cheer her up now; he figured he could think of something by then. He gave a glance at Ron and Hermione, trying to signal them to suggest some ideas.

His plan worked. A bright smile started to appear on Ginny’s face as she took his other hand and held it together with hers.

It was already late evening when they arrived at Hogwarts. The four of them quickly jammed into the Great Hall, awaiting the feast and the sorting ceremony. As they sat and waited in the Gryffindor table, Harry peered along the head table where Dumbledore sat and immediately recognized a very familiar face sitting next to him.

“Harry, who’s that lady professor sitting next to Dumbledore? Do you think she’s a Veela?” Ron mumbled.

He didn’t reply because he didn’t want Ginny to know that he had met her before and that he hadn’t mentioned anything. As he observed her, he noticed that tonight she appeared older and more mature compared to the image from the night at the Leaky Cauldron. However, if she wasn’t sitting next to Dumbledore, he would never have believed that she could pass as a professor. Tonight, she had her long blond hair tied in a bun and her face was stern and expressionless, much like McGonagall. In his mind though, she was still the prettiest professor he had ever seen.

“I want to introduce and welcome our latest addition to the family of teachers at Hogwarts,” Dumbledore announced loudly. “Sitting beside me is Professor Aria Hannibal, a teacher that specializes in telepathy and hypnotism.”

There was applause in the room, although it was very reserved and faint. Harry wasn’t paying much attention to Dumbledore; he was still gazing at Aria, who maintained her stern posture as she slowly glanced across the room at the four tables of students. But then her green eyes widened when they caught Harry’s gaze. She suddenly broke into a deep smile and slowly nodded her head to him. Seeing this, Harry immediately looked down and started to blush.

“Oh my! Harry, I think she smiled at me!” Ron said excitedly. “But what a shame. She’s a telepath.”

Dumbledore continued, “This year I’ve included the art of telepathy as part of the curriculum for Hogwarts students that are in their fourth years and above. Professor Hannibal has informed me that she will be mixing up the students regardless of their years. You will find your groupings posted in the common room.”

“What’s wrong with being a telepath?” Harry asked blankly. He kept his head down because he could feel Aria was still looking in his direction.

“Telepaths are not well-liked individuals,” Hermione answered as she elbowed Ron to wake him up from his trance. “People generally don’t trust them. They feel like they have no privacy with their thoughts when they are around.”

Harry wasn’t sure if he could accept Hermione’s perspective on this. In his mind, all he could see was a very kind and graceful professor who could not harm another soul.