Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When I See Only You by gossipweaver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Both are in love with the same boy. Can they still be friends?
Chapter 9 Friend Or Foe

“NO…” Harry finally roared as he struggled out of Aria’s grip and pushed her away so fiercely she fell to the ground. Still panting and swallowing hard, he wiped his lips and stared at her stunned disheveled face and body as she was lying helplessly on the water-filled ground.

“I… I AM SORRY! I DIDN’T MEAN TO…” he screamed as his knees buckled in panic. He was determined to not succumb to his urge to help her get up after finally realizing in disbelief what they had just done. Desperately searching for his glasses and averting her presence, he wanted to stay on the ground as long as possible because he didn’t want to face the consequences of what just happened. As he maintained his focus on the blurry water-filled grounds for what seemed like an eternity, he noticed from the corner of his view, that her feet were slowly making their way towards him. As he glanced up at her hesitantly, he noticed Aria had found his glasses. Her arm was outstretched towards him, holding his glasses, her eyes misted with tears.

“Sorry! I have to go! I’m truly sorry…” he got up, grabbed his glasses and bolted back to the castle, trying to fight back tears. Aria, left alone underneath the trees, was once again gazing at his back the way she did at the feast, hopelessly longing for him to turn around and spare her one last look. As he disappeared into the rain, tears spilled out of her eyes as she sobbed despairingly. She reached her arm out to him but her knees buckled and she collapsed onto the ground next to his jacket. She slowly reached for it and cuddled it tenderly like it was the most precious thing she had.

As Harry was running in the rain, he could hear Aria’s sorrowful cries and sobs in his head. Her heartbreaking cries were getting louder and louder in his head, drowning out the noise from the rain and winds:

”Why…Don’t leave me alone…Please…Don’t leave me…Harry…”

”You’re all I have…Please…You’re hurting me…”

Desperately covering his ears, he ran deep inside the quiet deserted castle, but her cries continued to scream painfully in his mind. Not knowing where to run, he collided onto a castle wall and slowly fell down onto the floor, with tears flooding out of his eyes. He could no longer see or hear anything else but her, her pain, and her despair. Heartbreaking images began to flash in front of his eyes. He could see himself running away from her; he could feel her arm reaching out for him and he didn’t even turn around and give her one last look. Sitting on the floor by himself, he buried his face with his hands, sobbing uncontrollably, as her aching cries continue to ring in his head:

”You’re hurting me…”

“STOP…PLEASE…I’M SORRY…I’M SO SORRY…I CAN’T…I JUST CAN’T…” Harry pleaded and sobbed hopelessly as he curled up on the hard cold floor, desperately begging for her cries to go away.

As the sounds of her lonely cries gradually began to die down in his head, he slowly pulled himself back up and trudged to the common room. Visibly shaken, sweat was breaking out from all over his body as he was soaked from head to toe. Wiping away his tears, he walked inside to discover Hermione waiting by the entrance.

“WHAT HAPPENED, HARRY? ARE YOU OKAY?” Hermione screamed, apparently shocked by how completely messed up Harry looked.

She immediately hurried over next to him and tidied up his wet hair, “You’re all wet! Were you outside in the rain? You’ll catch a cold like that!”

Her hand then made its way to his chest, “Harry, your shirt is missing some buttons! What happened?”

“Harry, go upstairs and change! You’ll catch a cold!” Hermione insisted. “Why are your glasses broken?”

“NO! I’M FINE!” Harry roared in frustration, gripping his hair with his hands. She immediately backed away and stared blankly at him in silence.

“Hermione, where’s Ginny?” Harry broke the silence and pleaded weakly, clenching his teeth but his tone was now much more controlled than before.

“She’s still in the library,” she mumbled anxiously. “Harry, have you seen Ron?”

“Uh? No,” he whimpered, but then he raised his voice again. “GINNY’S IN THE LIBRARY??”

“What is it? What’s wrong? Harry, are you…”

“AARGH…” Harry roared hysterically as he stormed upstairs.

“Harry…HARRY…” she screamed. But all she heard was a loud bang from his door being slammed shut.

*****************************************************************

“GINNY WEASLEY, why are you wandering in the halls this late in the day?” Snape growled from behind, holding a lantern.

“Professor, I was just leaving the library and…”

“SILENCE! YOU STUPID GIRL!” Snape shouted as he slithered over next to her. “You and Potter and those pesky friends of his are always prowling around the castle like it is their own playground, coming up with ridiculous excuses…with no regard for rules. Let’s see, how many points shall I deduct from your wretched house…”

“Do you make it a habit of always stalking girls after sunset?” a strong piercing voice suddenly called out from the corner of the dark hall. The voice was Aria’s and she marched menacingly towards them. Her hair was completely soaked and she was awkwardly draped in Harry’s jacket. There were mud stains all over her dress. However, despite her disheveled outer appearance, she had an aura of ferociousness enough to match Snape’s sinister presence.

“Ah, the always lovely Professor Aria Hannibal, but it looks like you have a really bad hair day!” Snape smiled sarcastically at her, eyeing her up and down. “Is that the latest fashion trend…mud stains on clothes?”

“Even on my worst day, I’ll still look better than you!” she hissed back and gave him an icy stare, gripping Harry’s jacket tightly across her shoulders.

“You know, I overheard that you don’t have many friends here. It is very unwise of you…”

“Speaking of old friends, Severus,” she chuckled coldly. “I also overheard that Voldemort was one of your old friends? Send him my regards for me, shall you?”

Biting his lip in anger, Snape gave the two of them a fiery glare and stormed away.

“Thanks, Professor Hannibal,” Ginny muttered as she examined her closely, with a curious look on her face. She noticed her eyes were very red and puffy, “Are you all right, Professor?”

“Oh, yes. I…was caught in the rain, and I slipped and fell…and…a student gave me his jacket,” she grinned wearily. Her tough composure that bullied Snape away was now beginning to unravel. “Come on, Miss Weasley. It’s late. I’ll walk you back to your quarters. I don’t want Snape lurking behind you in the dark again.”

“Professor, may I ask? The way you mentioned his name…my brother Ron can’t even…” Ginny asked hesitantly as they began their hasty walk.

“Whose name? Oh, you mean Voldemort?”

“You’re not afraid?”

Aria slowed her steps and gazed at Ginny with her reddened eyes, sighing solemnly, “Fear…I lost that feeling years ago when I realized I have nothing to lose. And…there is…no one in my life…perhaps…

“…except one person…perhaps…” Aria tightened her hold on Harry’s jacket again as she stared into the open space, muttering despairingly. Tears began to fill her eyes once more.

Aria abruptly stopped walking, realizing that she shouldn’t speak to a student in this manner. Trying to choke back tears, she took a deep breath and started again, “I…used to work with your father, did I tell you that? He is a very kind man. I wasn’t in the Ministry for very long but I learnt a great deal from him.”

“He said you resigned? So you came to teach here?”

“I was going through a difficult time, and the best way for me was to resign. Headmaster Dumbledore was generous enough to offer me this position…

“Your father used to go on and on about you and your brothers at work. He is so proud. You’re very lucky, Miss Weasley, to have such a big warm loving family, parents and brothers who adore you, and Harry…”

Ginny looked up at her blankly.

“Oh, I saw…Mr. Potter holding your hand earlier today when we headed to class together, remember? So I assume he’s…your boyfriend,” Aria said wearily.

“Harry’s the perfect guy. He loves me very much, and I love him. I don’t know what I’ll do without him…” Ginny nodded enthusiastically as a bright deep smile appeared on her face. But her smile quickly faded when she looked up at Aria and saw her somber face, which was burdened with heartbreak and pain. Ginny’s every word were like unforgiving daggers stabbing at Aria’s heart.

“Professor, please call me Ginny. Are you sure you’re okay? You want to come in and rest or something?” Ginny asked worriedly as she noticed that they had arrived at the common room entrance.

“RON? IS THAT…you?” Hermione yelled eagerly as she jumped out of the entrance, but then her tone flattened with disappointment. “Oh, sorry Ginny. I heard voices…Oh, it’s you, Professor.”

Hermione gave Aria an unwelcome glare as she examined her up and down disapprovingly, paying particular interest to the jacket Aria was awkwardly draped in.

“Perhaps another time, Ginny,” Aria said tiredly. “Sneeze…”

“Oh, no, Professor. You’ll catch a cold…” Ginny said.

“I’ll be fine. Goodnight, Ginny, Miss Granger. I’ll see you in class tomorrow,” Aria turned and slowly trudged away, gradually disappearing into the dark.