Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Blossoms Once More by mysteriousnight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Chapter Summary: The story starts to turn for the better as Ron and Harry brainstorm on possible ways to fix the situation that has come about.


That day, well, the day Ginny was attacked, Ron was supposed to meet her at the Three Broomsticks in the afternoon, but an important auror conference was being held, at which Ron had to be in attendance. He had sent an owl telling Ginny he couldn’t make it, but the owl had gotten lost, and went to the wrong place. Mrs. Weasley had found the owl searching the Burrow for food, just before she found out about Ginny’s attack. (She had thought nothing of it at the time, but afterward, sheunderstood the importance.)

Ron sometimes blames himself for the attack, saying, “If I had only been there…” or “If I hadn’t used that bloody owl…” The Weasleys’ have tried to tell Ron that it wasn’t his fault, but Ron still persists in the accusing of himself.

Ron was once again shaken from his thoughts and brought back to reality by Harry, who was calling his name. “Ron,” He yelled, “RON! What’s the matter with you? ”

“Wha?” Ron asked, sounding like he had just woken up.

“You heard me. What's the matter with you? ‘It was Fred and George’s idea.’ What kind of codswallop is that? Holy hippogriff, Ron! She was only coming back to thank you and you exploded in her face! You two both care so much for each other! Why can’t you just let her into your heart?” Harry screamed.

“I’m afraid,” Ron said in a low voice.

“Afraid of what?” Harry asked demandingly.

“I’m afraid, that if or once I get close to her, she’ll die,” Ron replied, in almost a whisper.

“Ron…”Harry began.

“Harry, no, you don’t understand what it’s like to…”Ron let his sentence trail off. He was about to say, “You don’t know what it's like to lose someone,” but of course Harry does. He lost his parents, Sirius, and Ginny. They had been in love, Ginny and Harry. They were made for each other, but then the attack changed everything.

“Ron, I do understand,” Harry answered, bad memories coming into focus in his head.

“I know, and I’m sorry. My mind is off in different places these days…”

“Ron, it’s ok, I understand. But we’re not here to talk about me,” Harry shoved those memories into the back of his head, and said in a deadly serious tone,“We’re here to talk about you…and Hermione. Now, how are we going to fix this? You’ve got yourself dug pretty deep, mate, and it’s going to be real hard to climb out.”

“I-I don’t know if I can, I don’t know if I can let myself love her. I have a battle going on in my head. ‘Let her into your heart,’ one side says, and the other exclaims, ‘Don’t risk it! She could die tomorrow!’ I don’t know what to do, Harry,” Ron looked as though he were on the verge of tears as he illustrated his hurt. He continued in a low, cracking voice, “Harry, I really need your help.”

“I’m glad you asked, mate. What time is it?” Harry asked curiously, looking around for a clock.

“It’s a quarter to six,” Ron answered automatically, as though he were dealing with a costumer.

“Alright then, I think it’s about time to close up the shop don’t you think, Ron?” Harry asked with a grin on his face.

Ron caught on, well half-way. He knew Harry had a plan, but he didn’t know what. “I do believe so, Harry,” He answered, half-smiling. It was his first smile in weeks, and even though it was only a half-smile, it felt good.

Ron and Harry quickly closed up the shop and decided to go to the Three Broomsticks for a nice Butterbeer, or some of Odgen’s Old Fire Whisky. They entered the warm and cozy tavern, and found a small table near the oversize fireplace.

Harry volunteered to get the drinks. Ron sat there, the table, staring into the fire. He really did love Hermione, but he had no idea how he, even with the help of Harry, was going to be able to get himself out of this mess. Harry returned with the drinks. Ron hadn’t really noticed that Harry had returned until Harry cleared his throat and said clearly, “Cheers.”

Ron looked at him with his mouth hanging open, then said, “And what is it that we’re celebrating exactly?”

“Don’t be stupid, Ron, we’re celebrating because you are finally getting out of the hole you have dug yourself in for two years.”

“I see.”

“Ron, it’s a good thing.”

“I know.”

“You don’t seem like you know.”

“No, I really do know,” Ron stated, then took a rather large gulp of his Fire Whisky.

“Alright. Well, how are we going to start fixing this relationship?” Harry thought outloud while absentmindedly brushing a hand through his hair.

“Harry, I really don’t know if I can do this,” Ron confided suddenly.

“Ron, I know you can. You really love her, and you really want her.”

“I already told you, mate, I have that battle going on in my head. I want her, but I can’t risk it, I want her, but I can’t risk it…”

“Oh please! That’s not an argument! You said the battle inside of your head was one side saying, ‘Let her into your heart’ and the other side saying, ‘Don’t risk it! She might be gone tomorrow!’”

“That’s exactly what I said! And it is a battle!”

“Ron, listen. If she might be gone tomorrow, don’t you want her now, to get all the time you can?”

Ron came to a realization that Harry was right. How could I have been so stupid for so long! He thought. Bloody Hell! What am I waiting for? I need to go talk to her!


“Harry! You’re the best mate I’ve ever had!” He yelled loudly as he gave Harry a huge hug. The inhabitants of the Three Broomsticks were staring at them curiously.

“Erm, Ron, let’s get out of here,” Harry whispered, looking around at all the inquisitive faces.

“Right,” Ron answered, also realizing that people were staring. He added, “Let’s go to my flat.”

As they made their way to Ron’s flat, Harry thought about ways to help Ron. (They had decided to walk rather than Apparate.) Hmmm, he thought, Think, Potter, think! Well, Ron may not want to go up to Hermione and say all the things in his head out of the blue. But what if she came to him? It might be easier to get Hermione to him then him to Hermione. Maybe I can arrange that...No, I doubt that would work out. I'm sure we, or maybe I should say I, will think of something. It was then that Harry realized that he had gotten himself deep in the middle of this situation, and which ever way he went, there was no way out.

“Harry, why are you just standing there?” Ron questioned from in the entry hall of his charming flat.

Harry realized Ron was talking to him. “Oh, sorry, just thinking.” Harry took a moment to appreciate Ron’s flat’s homey appearance. He admired the beautiful copper-colored tiles on the roof, and the wonderful aromas of the wildflowers in the garden. He also admired the color of the paint on the house, a pale green. Then there were two windows; both of them perfect squares. The light of the freshly started fire in the fireplace shone threw the windows, giving them a yellow-orange glow. He stepped inside to find a cozy living room, with two antique squishy chairs, and a large fireplace. He looked around and found Ron in the tiny kitchen.

“What kept you?” asked Ron as he put on a kettle of tea.

“I was just admiring your flat,” Harry answered.

“It’s not much…”

“No, its great,” Harry said before Ron could finish. “Alright, Ron, I’ve got some ideas for you, to help with the whole Hermione situation.”

“Alright, shoot,” he said as he poured the tea into cups.

“Okay, so she won’t talk to you now, right?” Harry asked.


“Right…” Ron said, unsure of what Harry was thinking, and why that question was relevant in his quest to win Hermione’s heart back.

“What if I could get her to come to you. I mean, she wouldn’t know you were going to be there, but you would be there, and then you two could talk,” Harry voiced, wondering if the plan he spoke of would work.

“Er, I don’t know, Harry, I don’t know if it would work,” Ron said, as he walked over to one of the chairs by the fireplace with the cups of tea, and handed Harry one.

Harry drank almost half his tea. “Well, hmm, I do have another idea, but I’m not sure if this one will work, either.”

“What is it?” Ron asked as he did the same.

Harry took a small sip of his tea (as Ron drank the remainder of his). “Sweep her off her feet,” Harry said.

“I don’t know if I can, Harry,” Ron uttered, staring at the dregs at the bottom of his cup.

“I know you can, Ron. I’ll help you.” Harry voiced confidently.

“Alright, I’ll try.”

“Good man. Now listen, Ron, I’ve got to go into work for a few hours,” Harry said wearily.

“This late?” said a concerned Ron.

“Yeah, I have to catch up on all the work that I haven’t done for the last few days,” Harry said, almost regretting the things he’d done in the last couple days.

“Oh, I see. Well, see you later then.”

Harry said, “Goodbye,” and then Disapparated. Ron sat in his chair for what seemed like an hour, just staring at the dregs in his teacup. I wonder what shape these dregs take? I should get out my old Divination book, he thought to himself with a half-smile. He stopped smiling, and thought, Probably trials and suffering…

It was a restless night sleep for Ronald.



A/N: That (obviously) was chapter 5. Chapter 6 is pretty much done. I'm going to submit it very very soon!! It's going back to Hermione, where she talks about her troubles to an good friend. Thanks to all the readers and the consistent reviewers! You guys are great!