Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Blossoms Once More by mysteriousnight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Chapter Summary: Hermione has a hard day at work, with all of the things shes going through still on her mind. Tonks, Harry, and Remus join her for dinner, and a letter arrives. After dinner, Tonks, Harry, and Remus meet and discuss the identity of the secret admirer.
Hermione woke up the next morning very tired. She had woken up many times in a cold sweat, breathing hard after dreams of men in long robes with no faces and people she knew and didn’t know laughing and crying hysterically.

She got out of bed slowly, took a shower, ate a breakfast of toast and coffee, and Apparated to work. When she arrived, Harry, Tonks, and some other workers greeted her politely. She sat down at her desk and sighed.

“Not having a very good day, Hermione?” came Tonks’ voice from Hermione’s left.

“No, not really, I had a rough night.”

Harry was walking by as he heard this, and he quickly stopped and turned around to join the conversation.

“Why, what happened?” Harry asked with a very curious tone.

“I just had really weird dreams. I mean, I guess you’d call them nightmares, seeing as the way I woke up was in a cold sweat and breathing hard.”

“Yeah, I’d call that a nightmare,” Harry said sincerely, thoughts of previous occasions of nightmares swimming in his mind.

“You shouldnt’ve come to work today, Hermione,” Tonks voiced with concern.

“No, I figure work will take my mind off of my nightmares, and well, Ron.”

“Maybe it will…” Harry said in a distant voice.

The day went by very slowly. Hermione’s pile of work was reaching incredible heights, whereas Tonks’ still remained miniscule. Hermione couldn’t concentrate at all, and took many coffee breaks to try and pull herself together and get some work done. Harry noticed her on several occasions looking at something crinkled and handwritten on her desk. The letter, he thought, Wait until she gets today’s He smiled at the thought. Tonks had noticed her reading the letter as well, but after reading it, she would looking through the windows, and the magical weather outside, which was rather stormy and gray.

Finally, the day was over and Hermione cleaned up her desk and stared at her pile of work, disappointed. “I don’t know what’s gotten into me,” she said to Tonks.

“I do,” Tonks replied, “You’re not well. Otherwise, you’d be able to do that work in about forty-five minutes.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Hermione sighed.

“Hey, maybe I should come over and cook you dinner. That way, you can just relax,” Tonks suggested.

“Yeah, that’d be great,” Hermione said grateful of some company, “You should bring Remus, also.”

Tonks nodded smiling widely. She decided to talk to him through Hermione’s fireplace once they got there.

“Can I come, too?” Harry asked politely.

“Listening in to our conversation again, eh, Harry?” Tonks said with a grin.

“Yeah, sorry. I can’t help it.”

“Yes, Harry, you can come,” Hermione added smiling. “Let’s get out of here, though.”

“Right,” said Tonks and Harry in unison.

All three Apprated to Hermione’s living room, right by the fireplace. Hermione appeared with a small crack, Tonks with a small pop, and Harry with a large pop.

Hermione made toward the kitchen, but Tonks said, “Nope, we’re making dinner,” and she sat Hermione in a chair.

Tonks came up to the fireplace and started it with a careless flick of her wand. She reached into a pouch on the mantle, and pulled out a small handful of floo powder. She tossed it in the fire, and waited for the flames to turn an emerald color. When they did, she put her head in the fire, and yelled “ Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, London!”

She was now looking at the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, now owned by Remus Lupin. Tonks was now calling out his name, “Remus!” she yelled, “Remus, where are you?!”

Remus answered back quickly, as if he thought something was wrong, “What is it Nymphadora? Is everything alright?”

“Yes, yes, everything is fine,” voiced Tonks, “Hermione just wanted to know if you wanted to join us for dinner. Harry and I are cooking.”

He seemed hesitant toward eating Tonks’ and Harry’s cooking, but he agreed, and with a faint crack, he appeared in Hermione’s house.

“Hello, everyone,” he said cheerfully. Hermione turned from her chair and saw Remus as he greeted Tonks with a polite kiss, and Harry with a tight hug. He looked older and shabbier than usual, but he looked happy. Tonks and Remus had been together for about seven years now. They always look extremely happy when they are together. I wish I could have someone like that…Hermione thought sadly. She sighed. Maybe this “Loving Friend” chap is like that…

She listened back in to what Harry, Tonks, and Remus were talking about.

“So Harry! It’s been a while since we’ve really got together and had a nice chat! How have you been?” Remus asked.

“I’ve been okay,” Harry answered, though it was not completely the truth. He had been extremely lonely lately. One of the reasons being that the anniversary of Ginny’s death was coming up. The other one, however, was harder to explain. He wanted someone to be with, and when he knew that now, since he very strongly believed everything was going to end up okay in the end for Hermione and Ron, he wanted something like that. He was jealous, and very alone.

“Just okay?” Remus replied, and Harry knew by the look in his eye, that somehow Remus read his mind.

“Yeah. Work has been stressful lately.”

“Uh-huh,” Remus said, not buying anything Harry had said.

“Alright, you two, enough chit-chat, it’s time for Harry and I to make dinner,” Tonks announced.

Remus decided to take the chair right next to Hermione and asked, “So, how are you, Hermione?”

“I’ve been…” Hermione tried to think of the word that described how she had been, but she couldn’t find it. She was glad that an owl had come as she started answering Remus.

Harry had caught the owl, got the letter off of its foot, and he said loudly, “It’s for you, Hermione.” He broke off a piece of bread that was on the counter, and he gave it to the owl. It flew away.

Hermione got up and Harry handed her the letter. There was no return address, only Hermione’s. She opened it to find another poem:

Dearest Hermione Granger,

It is I who sent you the letter previous
Expressing my true feelings for you…
You had known it before,
But you must have forgot,
And you must not forget anymore,
How I did love you,
And how I still do,
And how I will always, forevermore.

Yours Truly,

A Loving Friend


Hermione got tears in her eyes as she read it, but she still didn’t know who it was that sent it. She handed the letter over to Harry, who read it, and acted as though he were surprised, even though he had seen the letter the previous night.

Tonks looked at Harry as he read it, and realized his surprised face was an act. She took the letter out of his hands, and read it. She had a doubtful idea of who it was, but she knew that Harry knew. She passed the letter over to Remus, who had been watching Harry’s act as well, and thinking the same thing as Tonks, Harry knows.

Tonks and Harry immediately got back to work after a long silence that followed reading the letter. Remus guided Hermione to a chair, and sat in the adjacent one.

Remus asked, “Do you have any idea who is sending you these?”

Hermione was silent for a moment. She knew who she wanted to be sending these, but she didn’t think he could write such beautiful writing. “No, not at all,” she finally uttered.

Tonks and Harry were soon done with dinner, and they all sat at Hermione’s small dining table and ate in mostly silence. Tonks and Remus were completely confused. They silently agreed to talk to Harry once they were out of Hermione’s house.

“Great dinner,” said Hermione, trying to break the awkward silence.

“Yeah,” Tonks, Harry and Remus agreed in unison.

After the table was cleared (with a flick of Harry’s wand), Tonks made some tea and they all sat by the fireplace in silence. Hermione was trying to think of who the “Loving Friend” chap could possibly be, while Tonks and Remus were sitting in silence, staring at Harry, with thoughts of who the admirer was sitting unexplained in their minds.

Finally, when Hermione’s ancient grandfather clock announced, “Eleven O’clock!” in a loud and screeching voice, Remus said something, “Well I think it’s about time to leave, and let Hermione get some rest.”

“I agree,” Tonks responded.

“Me too,” Harry said.

Hermione was still staring at the fire, and Remus mouthed, “Number Twelve Grimmauld Place” to Tonks and Harry. They completely understood what he wanted.

“Good-bye, Hermione,” said Harry, and Hermione stopped staring at the fire.

“’Bye, Hermione!” Tonks said cheerfully.

“Have a good night, Hermione,” Remus chimed in.

“Oh, Good-bye,” she answered automatically. Hermione gave everyone a hug, and they all Disapparated.

*****


Tonks, Harry, and Remus all appeared in Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. Harry was glad that Remus lived here, but this place was full of too many sad memories.

Tonks lit the fireplace and sat down while Remus made some tea. Harry was very uncomfortable as he sat down. He knew what they wanted to discuss, and he didn’t want to discuss it. And as soon as they were all seated, and the tea had been poured, Remus said firmly, “You know.”

“Know about what exactly?” Harry asked, playing dumb.

“You know exactly what we’re talking about!” Tonks yelled.

“Why has she been getting those letters?” Remus inquired.

“Er, because someone has been sending them,” Harry said in a low voice.

Obviously, but who?” Tonks asked.

“Er…” Harry reddened in his cheeks a little.

“It’s not you, is it?” Remus asked quickly, with an almost disgusted look on his face. Harry turned to Tonks, who had the same look on her face.

“No way!” Harry shouted, “You two would have to be…”

Harry couldn’t think of a word, but Tonks found it for him and spoke in a soft voice, “Delusional?”

“Yeah. You two would have to be delusional to think of that. Hermione and Me? No way!”

Remus and Tonks looked relieved. He decided to tell them who it really was. “Alright,” Harry announced, “I do know who it is. I won’t tell you unless you promise not to tell a single soul, especially Hermione.”

“We promise,” Remus and Tonks said in unison.

“Alright, well, it’s Ron.”

Remus and Tonks sat staring at Harry for a long time, with shocked looks plastered on their faces.