Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loathing or Love? by Miss Radcliffe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hi! I’m Miss Radcliffe and after about a year of reading various fanfics, I’m finally writing one of my own. I’ll try to update as much as possible because I hate stories that don’t update often or the author says I’m not writing this fic anymore so you’re left hanging. Please review!



DISCLAIMER: The characters, setting, and (most of) the plot belong to JKR. I own Alexis and Joanne. My list of characters might get longer as this story gets longer.





Loathing or Love?



Chapter 1: Just a Flicker



“Potter! For what I hope will be the last time, I don’t want to go out with you!” screamed Lily Evans as she boarded the Hogwarts Express. James sighed deeply and reluctantly turned away from the train and walked back to his friends.



“Bad luck James,” said Remus.



“I don’t get it!” James exclaimed. “Why won’t Evans go out with me?”



“Well you see James,” explained Sirius with the tone of explaining something to a four-year-old. “You’re not exactly Evans’s type.”



“And what exactly do you mean by that?” James asked mock hurtfully.



“You see Prongs,” said Peter. “You, or rather we, get into a lot of trouble.”



“You’re a big show off.”



“And you-”



“Alright I get it already!” said James exasperatedly. “You guys are of course right. It’s hopeless.”



“Oh come on Prongs! Don’t be all depressed with us on our first day back!” said Peter.



“Alright,” said James a bit more brightly. “Come on, we’d better board the train.”

The four friends moved slowly through the crowded platform past smiling and waving girls. The Marauders had been extremely popular, particularly James and Sirius, from the moment they’d stepped foot into Hogwarts. They’d been asked out too many times to count. And who could blame Hogwarts’ female population? The Marauders were stars on the Quidditch field (which was why James and Sirus had muscle-toned bodies). The Marauders were also famous for being the biggest pranksters in the school and getting away with everything they did. Who couldn’t resist them? Well, James could tell you who. Miss Lily Evans was pretty much the total opposite of a Marauder. She was always teacher’s pet with straight O’s and had been selected prefect in her 5th year unlike James who was the top of his year but hadn’t been a prefect (Moony got the badge), but had over the summer been made Head Boy. It was common knowledge at Hogwarts that Lily despised James and the rest of the Marauders with a passion, James had liked Lily since third year, and he had persisted to ask her out. Just as she had persisted to reject him.



“But this year will be different,” James thought as he boarded the black steam engine. He walked past the usual compartments full of girls waving at him and inviting him to sit with them enthusiastically. James looked desperately for an empty compartment. He was just about to give up hope when-



“Hey Prongs! Come on, we’ve found an empty one!” James relieved, jogged past the fallen faces of disappointed girls to where Remus was standing halfway in a compartment. Inside, Peter and Sirius were already immersed in a game of Exploding Snap in which Peter was losing terribly. James however, still discouraged by his encounter with Lily Evans, sat down next to Peter and stared out the window watching the hills roll by.



“She oughta say yes this year mate,” said Sirius who had noticed James’ sulky attitude. “After all, the Head Boy and Girl do get their own room,” smirked Sirius. But at this, James eyes flew open.



“Bloody hell!” he yelled. “I’m supposed to go to the prefects carriage and give out directions with Evans! Come on Moony!” James and Remus dashed out of the compartment into the middle of the moving train.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



James and Remus stumbled into the Gryffindor prefects carriage, both out of breath. The prefects’ carriage was exactly like the compartments except there was room enough for ten people, it was decorated in the Gryffindor colors of scarlet and gold, and had a small table in the middle. James suddenly noticed Lily Evans already dressed in the black Hogwarts robes, her bright green eyes frowning down upon James and tapping her foot impatiently.



“Well it’s about time!” she said coldly. “ I’ve already been to the Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin carriages and sent them to work! Here.” She handed him a piece of piece of parchment which read:





Dear Head Boy and Head Girl,



Congratulations on your achievements of becoming Head Boy and Girl. Your first responsibilities require giving these directions to prefects on the Hogwarts Express:



Each prefect should sign up for two days a week to patrol school corridors until 9:30.

Prefects will meet at 12:00 in the Charms classroom on the second Sunday of each month.

Prefects can take and add points from houses but if they take advantage of this privilege, it shall be taken away.

Prefects should show the 1st years to their common rooms after the feast.

Prefects should patrol train hallways to and from school.

Prefects are expected to take responsibility for their house.

If Prefects have any questions, they should ask the Head Boy or Girl.



As the new Head Boy and Girl, your responsibilities are:



Making a time and place to meet each week.

Patrolling corridors 5 nights a week.

Taking and adding points to houses whenever you see fit.



You will get the passwords to all the houses, the teacher’s lounge, the Prefects’ bathroom, and the headmaster’ office. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.



Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore

Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry








By the time James had finished reading the letter, Lily was through giving the prefects their directions. The prefects filed out, only pausing to sign their name on a piece of parchment Lily held entitled Patrol Sign-Up.



“Later Prongs,” muttered Remus as he too exited the compartment. Lily and James were left alone. They awkwardly sat down across from each other and Lily placed her pile of parchment on the table.



“So Potter, which nights do you not want to patrol?” she asked in a bored tone.



“How ‘bout Fridays and Saturdays. Then I’ll be able to make Quidditch practice on Fridays.”



“Okay,” said Lily. “I’ll take off Wednesdays and Saturdays. This way, we can meet on Saturday.” Lily added James and her name five times each to the Patrol Sign-Up. “We can meet in the library at 10:00 each Saturday. Good for you?”



“Uh, yeah,” replied James.



“Well, see you around Potter,” said Lily as she too walked out the door. Suddenly, however, Lily stopped in mid-stride and turned back to James with a thoughtful look on her face.



“You know,” she said slowly. “Since we are going to be working together and all…you know what, you can call me Lily.” James, taken by surprise could barely find the words to speak.



“U-um-ok-u-you can call me James, u-Lily.” Lily smiled.



“Ok then. Bye…..James,” replied Lily as she walked out the door.



James smiled to himself as deep inside of him, a small light of hope that had been extinguished long ago, suddenly flickered.










A/N: Hope you enjoyed it! The next chapter is finished and chapter 3 is in progress. Please review!



A/N: Update: chapter 2 has finally been submitted and chapter 3 will be submitted after chapter 2 has been verified. Chapters 4 and 5 are at betas and chapter 6 is almost done. Also, I won't be at home 8/20-8/28. No computers will be within reach of me on the trip. Soooo sorry.





A/N: I feel so bad about making you all wait that I'm giving you a spoiler from the next chapter. Enjoy!



“You’re not developing feelings for Mr. Potter, are you now?” asked Alexis slyly. “What are you talking about?! James Potter is the most insignificant bloody git on the face of this planet!” shouted Lily. “Language, Lily, language,” said Joanne. Lily blushed but for different reasons Alexis and Joanne thought. The truth was, she didn’t know how she felt about James Potter. No, she hated him! He was a blasted little toerag that enjoyed cursing random people in the hallways. But back in the Gryffindor prefect’s carriage he had seemed so…no. She loathed him and that would never change. Why was she questioning herself? Lily Evans never questioned herself. When had she ever been wrong?